3.3/5 (945 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

About AAA Homeowners Insurance

AAA is well known for its auto insurance, but it also sells homeowners insurance. If you're already an AAA member, you can qualify for several discounts on your policy. Bundling your auto insurance from AAA with your homeowners insurance is a great option if you're looking to save.

Pros

• Good coverage
  • Several discounts
  • Great pricing

Cons

• Fewer options with certain AAA clubs

Bottom Line

AAA homeowners insurance provides excellent discounts and pricing. Options and coverage vary by club, but the overall coverage is reliable.

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

AAA Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: June 13, 2021

I'm locked into this company because of my sinkhole coverage but would gladly shop if not. They're o.k. but aren't progressive in trying to save me money and finally this year, five years after the fact, they informed me to replace a 20 year old roof for savings. Increases start at 15 years in Florida. ;(

Original review: June 12, 2021

Pricing has been fair and competitive. The AAA agent has been easy to work with and since AAA has a good reputation hopefully their homeowners insurance will be equally as good service.

Original review: June 11, 2021

After 15 years with another large insurance company, I switched to AAA simply because it was less expensive for the same exact coverage. I gave my previous agent a chance to meet AAA’s price, but she couldn’t discount my policy to meet or beat the lower rate.

Original review: June 4, 2021

I live in a townhouse. Our neighbor and I had our roofs redone at the same time. We have now have a leak several years after and cannot seem to find where it is coming from. The roofer said it's not from him and has come out to check it out - has to be from him! It only leaks when it pours hard for an extended period of time. Thankfully that hasn't happened much over the months living in Florida. The leak is in my husband's closet where we have had to move everything out. At times rain pours through the light fixture into a cooler that we have underneath to catch the water. AAA nor Belfor Restoration can find the leak and we have been dealing with this since August 1, 2020. They said they would send an engineer out however this has yet to happen.

I have been a AAA member for over 25 years and this is how we are treated. Not fair at all. I have let 11 message with my Rep and the home office has left messages for them to contact me. Haven't heard from them since September and now he calls and says he's closing my claim. Sorry but it ain't happening. Never had AAA home ins before and only got it because they cover mold and another neighbor has them. WELL at this time they have not covered anything. We have tried to patch what we can however my husband is terrified of heights since we have 2 roof levels and is not a handyman at all. When all said and done I am not happy with this company and will be trying to find another very soon! AAA home insurance SUCKS!!!

Original review: May 3, 2021

We've bundled our home and auto with AAA for over a decade. After yearly escrow shortages with only a minor increase in our housing value, I realized our insurance increased about 80% over three years with no claims being filed. I called and was told the storms in S. Carolina were the reason. We live in Kentucky. We switched to Erie and saved $2400/year just on the home coverage.

Original review: April 3, 2021

I have been a AAA member for over 27 years (one way or another). I received a letter saying they no longer could insure my home because the dangers of my house location. I called and asked what Dangers and they could not answer after several attempts (intimidation)? I later received another letter stating I had to have a video review of my home (invasion of privacy). After the video, was contacted by phone stating they wanted to see permits (harassment).

In that same phone conversation, I told the person that I wanted to see the renewal amount and then we could talk. I received my renewal and AAA gave me a 40% increase on my policy. Bottom line is after the intimidation, invasion of privacy and the harassment, I will not renew my homeowners, auto and Roadside Service with this terrible company... Just check the reviews on AAA's reputations on paying claims (or lack of). They like "Kicking the Can Down the Road" (a claim), but really kick the policy owners to the curb.

Original review: March 10, 2021

I live in FL on a street that has had multi storms over the past five years. Since 2019 six houses have been reroofed on just my street and AAA won't do mine. It is in court now. The neighbors beside me, across the street from me and down the road are reroofed.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

It came as a shock. In 43 years of purchasing homeowner insurance, AAA is the first and only time I’ve been canceled – for any policy. Why? “The condition of the roof on the dwelling presents an increased exposure to weather-related losses and makes the policy ineligible.” I would appreciate if you would let me know what roof condition concerns you, because I would like to address it, for my own sake. The roof was replaced in 2013, professionally installed with top quality shingles and does not leak. The old roofing materials were completely removed. There’s only one layer of shingles (using nails, not staples), along with underlayment materials and extra underlayment for valleys. I provided your agent with proof of the roof’s age and you sent an inspector who photographed my house and could easily see that the house is in great upkeep.

I suspected service would be lacking because after paying the premium, I couldn’t get any answers about the policy from the local AAA agency. They didn’t respond to emails or phone messages. A decent agent would have called me regarding the roof issue and termination. I suppose I’m lucky to be rid of you, before I had a claim.

I certainly don’t want to continue doing business with AAA. I can only imagine what trouble you would give me in the event of a claim. I’ve never had any home claim in the 43 years I’ve lived here. I don’t casually switch insurance companies, and will return to my prior carrier, a little more expensive, but with excellent service, according to friends who have made claims, and very responsive. But, I would appreciate, as a courtesy, if you would share with me your concern about the condition of my roof, as I will surely address any important issue. I want to continue my sterling record of no claims.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

I called Triple A looking to combine my auto and home insurance policy to save money. The agent quoted me a price and sent an assessor to my home to finalize the quote. The price assessed price to combine my insurance was double the over the phone quote. I decided not to go with them for homeowners insurance and kept my auto insurance. Turns out they decided I owed them two months of coverage and charged me for their service. They sent me to collections a year later and refused to work it out with me. I filed a grievance with the company to report their misconduct. DO NOT USE Triple A for anything. I highly regret making that call and will never use them again.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

We are victims of both the Tubbs Fire (October 2017) and most recently the Glass Fire (September 2020). We purchased home insurance from AAA after our previous insurer increased our rate from $1700 to $4400 per year. We paid our premiums for approximately 1 year, when the Glass Fire hit. Luckily, our home was not destroyed as many of our neighbor’s homes were. We however, sustained significant damage to our property, to the tune of approximately $450,000. We submitted a claim immediately and an AAA adjuster came out to assess the damage. He admitted this was his first assignment as an adjuster and he was woefully unprepared. We received an $8,000 check as “settlement for our claim”, which we did not cash.

We hired a third party adjuster to deal with AAA on our behalf, which has resulted in no cooperation whatsoever. We were assigned a new adjuster and an assistant, neither of whom will talk to us directly, in direct violation of California Insurance Code 15027 v (3). It’s been over 4 months and AAA has not paid a single dime against this claim, despite several letters requesting interim payments to reimburse us for our “out of pocket” expenses. They continue to delay and obfuscate by requesting receipts from the Tubbs Fire, current vendors performing the work we are paying out of pocket, etc. They refuse to respond to these same vendors when contacted directly for payment. The bottom line is that AAA is a bottom feeder and is not living up to its obligations as a reputable insurer. Do not buy insurance from AAA, no matter how cheap. They are disreputable scammers.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I enjoy the travel perks AAA provides me plus insurance for home is a good value. A rider I purchased for additional loss of personal items I own, was easy to make a claim when a loss was experienced. I thought my reimbursement was fair and all took place in a week.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

I'm 61 years old and been in the service business for over 35 years. I have dealt with many insurance companies for businesses and homeowners but I have never seen or experienced such unreliable, unprofessional service, as the agents were completely incompetent. They kept changing everything they promised from pricing to requirements. The experience was so bad, that I went out of my way to report it to the Consumer Affairs which I have never done as a 61 year old man.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

I wasn't sure about AAA home insurance until now. We had wind and hail damage. 2 Roofers came out and gave us pictures and pointed out where the wind and hail damage was and where some shingles flew off. The AAA adjuster came out really fast and claims there was absolutely no wind and hail damage. Incredible. These people are totally incompetent. I've never seen such a home insurance company like this. Maybe they thought they were looking at a car? Now we have to go through a review/appeal process. I don't know how anyone can give them a good review unless it's all fake. One way to hide your mistakes.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

Maria ** Complainant against AAA Automobile Club of Southern California under claim# **. On May 20, 2020 at about 5:45 am trying to get ready for my lung biopsy needle procedure. My sister – Amelia ** was screaming stating water all over the place especially in her bedroom, living room, kitchen, and bathroom. Almost entire first floor rooms were flooded. I went ahead and shut down the main water valve outside the house. I called a plumber and have my brother – James ** assisted him since I was on my way to the Saddleback hospital at that time. While on my way to the hospital I also called AAA Automobile Club of Southern CA and reported the incidence. I spoke with Ms. Jessica ** and provided me claim#**. Ms. Jessica ** stated that someone or an adjuster will be calling me. I mentioned to Ms. Jessica ** to speak with my daughter Elaine ** for now due to my health condition.

When I came back from hospital the plumber along with Procore restoration told me that slab leak was from caused by hot water high pressure. Due to water trying to find the way out it causes water leakage spread out even between the slab and tile caused a tile to crack and others with hallow sound or ready to pop. I cannot really communicate or talked that much to my plumber (Chris) and Procore (Mr. Gerardo **) at that time due to just got out from hospital. They were respectful and understood what I am going through. They all made sure water shut down and advise us to call my insurance to get a temporary shelter.

In spite of my health condition I have been trying to contact my adjuster Mr. Sean ** but most of the time either he is not there or our schedule does not tag along. On May 22, 2020 I talked to him about our situation. Mr. Sean ** mentioned that he is going to send Serv Pro. I said I already committed with ProCore restoration team/ Premier and as an insurer I have the rights to get who I wanted. I told him that I trusted my team and they will be my spoke persons due to my health condition.

I was scheduled to have a lobectomy and trying to recuperate but all of these just got aggravated big time. Instead of me recuperating from my health issues talking with AAA adjuster Mr. Sean ** made it worst physically and mentally especially when I spoke with him on May 22, 2020. Mr. Sean ** kept saying it is time for him to go or go home. I kept telling him that I just got out of the hospital and scheduled for surgery. He is not concerned about what my health conditions. Instead he kept saying it is time for him to go home. Mr. Sean ** customer service was really aggravated my health conditions. I told Mr. Sean ** that the ProCore team are starting the restoration and my family needed a temporary shelter. Mr. Sean ** kept telling that without the plumbing status of work it cannot be done. He kept telling me that he needs to go now or go home then he said, "You can talk to my supervisor."

So, I went ahead and talked to his supervisor Ms. **. She told me that we can go ahead and find somewhere to stay and call back Tuesday May 26, 2020. I told Ms. ** that Mr. Sean ** specifically told me that without the status of work from plumber we cannot do that and I don’t want to jeopardize that. I told Ms. ** as well please be aware that it’s long weekend (due to Memorial Day weekend) hard to get book for hotel at anywhere. I told her that the total persons live in my house are nine (9). It is hard to get a house or hotel. It will cost a lot to get a hotel to accommodate all of us. I also told her my health conditions that I am trying to recuperate but instead Mr. Sean ** aggravated it.

I am very pleased with ProCore restoration (Mr. Gerardo **) and Premier Restoration Services Inc. (Mr. James **) for helping me all the way. My team really do an excellent job. They are professionals and knowledgeable. They are my representative especially Mr. James ** from Premier Restoration. From the reports I have been getting from AAA investigators such as Paley, Soil inspector, and so forth I will say Premier Restoration Services Inc and ProCore restoration are more honest, knowledgeable and experts. They are highly recommendable, I don’t understand why in the beginning Mr. Sean ** change his way of dealing with my claim after I explained I am going to use my own people. I feel like after I told him I am going to use my own people he was mad and I believe the delays I am going through is out of retaliation of not using his contractors. I am sorry I can use his contractors. Even their repair contractor made a mistake with the drywall in the garage. I don’t trust their contractor.

We have been with AAA Automobile Club of Southern California members for so long approximately 30 years. We bought our house on November 6, 2018 and use AAA as home insurance. Now that I am getting these bad experiences from AAA no doubt that 30 years being a member will end. AAA adjuster Mr. Sean ** and his team made us stays in Airbnb from May 29, 2020 up to now. AAA is paying for that temporary shelter and I thank them for that but that’s not cost effective at all.

AAA are doing lots of investigations wasting time instead of resolving the issues and get it done. Proofs been submitted but they wanted their own results and hire their own people that they can manipulate the results. They hired Paley Stone & Tile Forensics also known as Atlas to investigate. Our existing tile was discontinued, which meant insurance should pay to replace the existing floor. Paley Stone & Tile Forensics was hired to lie and provide a report so that AAA would not be liable.

I just don’t know why AAA kept sending their hired experts to investigate my property when all proofs provided. I am not an expert or good at plumbing, maintenance, and so forth but I have common sense that I can see what’s going on. he water leak or flooding was beyond my or our control. I don’t believe AAA is handling my claim with good faith, because they are taking too long. They don’t give me information I have to ask Mr. James ** to get me an update. When he asks them for information they take a long time to answer. Sometimes he has to remind them they are supposed to respond by a certain time, and then finally they respond. For example the Policy. It took over 3 weeks to produce my policy. If it take that long to produce my policy then how can the adjuster make coverage determinations.

I believe this is Mr. Sean ** way of discriminating against me because I did not use his contractor. If they is the way he is bullying me that’s not how you do business. This whole claim is taking too long. I want to get back to normal as soon as possible. I read other complaints online about AAA and now I see those complaints are true, because I am living the same experience.

Maria

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

Recently we had to file for damages on our dwelling for roof damage. I was shocked to find that our $2500.00 deductible was actually $7000.00 with AAA's ACV damage program. We did sign up for a full coverage program, but as soon as our roof reached the 10 year mark, (now 12) they automatically added the ACV endorsement to our 12 year old roof. What a shock. The $2500.00 was expected, the additional high cost was not. Taking out a 6500.00 loan on our home is the only option to complete the repairs. Buyer beware. Our complaint with our State Insurance Corp. has yet to receive a response. Either way, this company looks good on the outside, but no so much on the inside.

Original review: July 23, 2020

I have been a member of AAA for 38 years. This year I switched my home insurance for my newly renovated home from AAA. The representative asked me dozens of questions about every detail of the house and he directed me remotely to take photos of every room and outside. Subsequently a policy was issued, I paid for a year in advance and I informed the old insurance company to cancel the old policy. A couple of weeks later I received a 30 day cancellation notice from AAA without any specific reason. After several attempts I was able to contact the AAA rep for an explanation.

After that he called me back to ask for all the renovation permits and all the invoices; I provided volumes of documents and the rep told me that he will forward it to the underwriter and that he will call me back. I tried to follow up with him numerous times, leaving messages and sending several emails; as we got closer to the cancellation date, I gave up and I obtained new insurance through Costco within two days without all the hassle and at a lower premium and they gave me free roadside assistance as well! It is unfortunate because AAA used to have great service.

Original review: July 7, 2020

We had a really bad rainstorm the early part of 2019. With strong winds, water was coming inside our kitchen, and it looked like a waterfall. Our ceiling was bubbled, and started coming down, our kitchen cabinets started to separate from the walls. We noticed the walls in our bedroom were waterlogged, and under the head of our bed, the carpet was drenched. We called AAA to come do a claim on the kitchen and bedroom. They sent this girl out, who took some photos, told us to get some contractors' estimates, and she would get back to us in a few days...Over a week later, it's starting to stink of mold in our bedroom, my wife has asthma and her breathing started getting worse, she ended up in emergency with a major attack.

The Doc. told us to stay in a hotel until AAA can rip out the carpet and pad...Still nothing from AAA...Over 2 weeks later, and lots of phone calls to AAA, and still no answer, I had to hire a contractor to remove a whole wall from the ground up, 3 quarters of the ceiling, all the insulation, and replace with new drywall, insulation, etc. Now, AAA finally calls back, and tells us that since we did the work in the bedroom, they won't pay for it...NOW, in the meantime they find out there are a bunch of roofing tiles gone from the roof, and the roof is exposed, that's where the water came in from...We got 3 quotes from contractors to restore our kitchen walls and cabinets.

AAA sent their guy in to give us an estimate, and he says they can't do the work. Then AAA says the quotes are too high, and "they aren't in the business of remodeling kitchens."? The house is over 30 years old, and the kitchen has never been remodeled...It was in perfect working order, and we just want it replaced with comparable cabinets. AAA then tells us, "We should have used their contractor in the beginning"... Their guy said he couldn't do the dang job! She wouldn't approve any contractor I found, AAA's payout to us would be $18,000 to do the roof, bedroom, kitchen! The lowest bid we can find is from Sears at $32,000 just to get the kitchen back to where we can put our dishes back, and cook!

The roof is estimated at $4000...The bedroom was $3,500. Total for the whole thing is $39,500. We're not asking for AAA to pay for the 2 weeks in a hotel, or any other expenses we had to incur...We pay our premiums on time, every month, year after year! AAA should have our backs! AMENDMENT: It's now July 6th 2020....and STILL no working kitchen, we had to pay for the roof and bedroom out of pocket.

Original review: June 7, 2020

I had a very bad experience when it came time to use my homeowner's insurance and file a claim after a hail storm. I have a house that is 13 year old. I was told that only a small part of it had received damage from that particular storm and I could not have any other parts covered, and in fact after my 1000 deductible was paid I would have to go after the depreciated value to get more back (so essentially hardly any money was going towards the repair).

I was not going to be able to get the rest repaired (even though it would never match) because it was from another storm, and it was cosmetic at this time. Now, I have never used my homeowner's insurance, but it goes up every year and I pay it. So, from there it only got worse, as I brought a roof contractor in and he got blown off, even though the claims agent said he was going to work with us after I had called the AAA office of ILLINOIS. Anyhow, I have to bite the bullet in costs to get roof repaired and dump AAA. I will be telling everyone that asks me.

Original review: May 28, 2020

I had a large branch off of a very large tree fall on my garage and backyard fence. AAA sent an adjuster who began our encounter lecturing me about how "some people" want to get their damaged property improved not just repaired. He was obviously insinuating that I was going to do this. I have a 1924 craftsman house is an historic neighborhood. My detached garage was knocked off square, the roof was penetrated gutter and soffit was torn off, and roof rafters were split. The 6' wooden fence was splintered as well as the entryway.

Two cost estimates from a reputable fence firm for the fence was between 5800.00 (if I wanted the archway entryway reconstructed) to 3800.00 if I just wanted a standard gate. I submitted the full replacement quote to the adjuster and was told that they would not pay for the 8' (out of 35') that the main tree had occupied.. The fence was built around the tree. I had to pay 4000.00 to have the tree removed myself and 3' of good fence was taken out to allow the arborists to access the 5' diameter tree to remove it. I sent the adjuster the smaller quote of 3800.00 without the archway and told him I would pay for 800.00 of the cost for the 8' of tree length. They sent me 1200.00.

The garage repair was problematic. Two contractors refused to even quote the job to square up the garage due to liability issues. I insisted that the adjuster contract a structural engineer to determine if the garage could be fixed. Seven months later and a call to his supervisor finally got the engineer on site. I was pleased to hear that the garage can be straightened. In the meantime I had a quote to reroof the garage, sister the rafters, replace the gutter and screens, soffit, and brace the interior..12,000.00. I had the garage insured for 30,000.00.

Final total: Max cost via quotes for garage, limb, and fence..max: 17,300.00.
Total AAA paid: 6349.00... with depreciation added 8184.77.

My cost including 1000.00 deductible: over 9000.00.

My Advice.. avoid AAA like the plague.

Original review: April 23, 2020

I called AAA to inform them my husband had passed away and to take his name off my homeowners policy. I was told my premium would go up because he received a "Mature Discount". I asked what age you had to be to get the "Mature Discount" and they said 65. I told them I am 65 and they said it didn't matter since he was no longer on the policy. My premium was going up. The person I spoke to didn't care that this did not make sense. I will be changing all my insurance from AAA. Too bad. I've been a customer for 32 years.

Original review: March 12, 2020

I was hit by hail last May (2019). I still do not have payment (March 2020) for all the damage. We have had to refile our claim six (6) times and we are now waiting for another decision. My contractor stated that this has been the worst company to deal with in my whole area. When I email, they respond that it's in review. When I call, I must leave a message and they do not return my calls. I am ready to go to arbitration if they do not finalize my claim this week. Each check they send is for a small portion of what I need to fully replace the damaged roof, siding, windows and out buildings. Thank goodness my contractor is patient! He is waiting for payment.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

I had AAA flood insurance in Tampa, FL for over 20 years and every year they increased my rate by over $100. When I had an Elevation survey done I called them to refund premiums. They said, "Oh we only will refund for the current policy" even though they over charged me about $1400 a year for about 20 years. I told them I got a new Quote. It would be only $826 a year instead of $2,225 a year 2019-2020 price. They somehow stated, "Oh no. The new insurance quote you got from a totally different company can't be right." They said it should be $1568 a year. I went right away to sign up for the new policy and was advised by the agent, "Oh the insurance company called me back and stated they should charge you $1553."

FYI as of 7/2019 new Florida law states that private market flood insurance companies can replace the previous mandatory and only option available was FEMA insurance for flood. Now if you have a conventional loan you have the option of obtaining private flood flood insurance instead. AAA only does FEMA insurance by the way. Long story short they were saying, "Well what do you have in your garage? What kind of equipment." Why so they could look for things to raise my rate in order to not give me a fair quote for the flood insurance based on the elevation certificate. I talked to them every day for a week either by email or phone.

Finally talked to underwriter cause they were asking for pictures of my garage which they already had from the elevation certificate pictures. Underwriter said, "Oh ok I see the roof line. I will fix this and in 48 hours your refund will be processed." Called back 2 days later nothing. She I told her was documented. They said, "Oh we haven't processed anything. You need to fill out these forms." They emailed me the form with the same questions the underwriter asked me 2 days before. The agent I was speaking to had to fill out the form and they made me wait another 2 days to refund me the lowball refund.

AAA are nasty scammers that want to find any reason to not give you a refund and if that is not possible then they want to scam the crap out of you to refund you as little as possible and prolong the refund process as well. I am going to call them every day until my refund is in the mail. Stay away. AAA scammers. No integrity and most of their employees are arrogant and act like they own the company and they will be paying you out of their own paycheck. I don't recommend AAA to anyone and if you are with them run. Cancel. Find another company. They need to be out of business which I am sure they will be very soon by the looks of the reviews and how poorly they are running this company.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I am a contractor 30 plus years. Helping a good friend with a claim and tried to talk with adjuster. Long story short is he denied a claim for his inaccurate inspection and told me I had no idea what I was talking about. Called his boss and he was just as arrogant. If ever approached by a John **, you should either get a public adjuster or have him get someone else. Worst company I have ever dealt with.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

AAA of Southern California refused to insure my home with the excuse that it is less than 1/2 mile from the Tijuana Estuary. None of other insurance companies ever came up with that excuse. This is quite ridiculous.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

I have had homeowners insurance with AAA for many years. We have been at our home for over three years. I paid my policy in full for $1,400 for the year. I had a question about my policy and they came back and said THEY made a mistake and they demanded I pay $3,800 for my policy or they would cancel my policy. They acknowledged that numerous employees must have made this dramatic mistake. They refused to honour our fully paid policy, based upon their own, alleged mistake. They tried to hold me hostage, because I would have no time to replace my policy. In the end, you must trust your insurance company to stand by you when something bad happens. Do not trust AAA. They clearly do not stand by their customers and appear willing to scam them.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

We only had AAA homeowners insurance for a few months. While we were away, our brand new fish tank from PetSmart sprung a leak. There was damage to the flooring, carpets, and walls. The adjuster came out. He was rude, insensitive, and extremely difficult. For instance, when he asked one question, I said: "I'm not sure". My husband answered, "Yes". The adjuster nastily said, "Which was it. Make up your mind". Another example, he offered to replace one of the damaged carpets but not the padding. We had to hire an independent adjuster and pay a large fee. AAA has made no motion to go against the fish tank manufacturer. TWO YEARS later we finally settled. Our out of pocket expenses were $4,500. We have given up which is what they wanted. Of course, I switched carriers after 3 months of arguing. I don't care how inexpensive AAA insurance is...DO NOT buy it!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I have been a member of AAA and have utilized their insurance services for over twenty years. I have always been satisfied with their services. Recently, I purchased a home and insured it with the company. When it came time for renewal a year later, I was first hassled because we're doing a remodel and they wouldn't insure unless we got a letter from the contractor stating it would be completed in thirty days, which I secured and sent to them. Then, they claimed it was considered "mixed construction" (even though they CURRENTLY INSURED THE HOUSE) and now wouldn't be renewing.

They gave me the runaround for a month, making me jump through a bunch of hoops, separating my daughter from our insurance policy to get a "better rate," and wasting a lot of time, only to decide that now, they won't renew the insurance. I'm so angry. This is not the insurance company I know and I will be moving all of my insurance away from this new, inferior company. What a shame.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

We have had our home insured through AAA for several years. We have never had to file a claim and never really needed to put the services to the test. An insurance company can only be accurately assessed when a need arises and the homeowner has to file a claim. We believed AAA to be a top rate company and never doubted that if we needed to file a claim, that the claim would receive prompt attention and superior service.

We recently needed to file a claim with AAA for roof damage that occurred as a result of two separate hailstorms in 2017. We discovered the problem in 2018 when a section of the roof leaked into the master bedroom. Two adjustors made an initial visit to our home, but did not ascend to the roof. The adjustors indicated there was frost on the roof and another visit would be scheduled at another time to check out the roof. The adjustors instead conducted an assessment of some sort around the perimeter of the home and took many pictures. I was not aware that this would take place and neither adjustor indicated at the time of the initial visit that a perimeter inspection of my home would be conducted.

A day or two later, we receive a voicemail to call the adjustor and an email indicating our claim had been denied. Apparently, unbeknownst to us the homeowners, an adjustor had been to the home at some point, ascended to the roof to conduct the inspection while we were away! This was upsetting as we wanted to be notified of the inspection to have a certified and qualified roofer act as our advocate and provide us with information concerning the status of the claim and sort out any insurance jargon for later follow up. Upon contacting the adjustor as to the nature of the denial, the adjustor stated there was no damage to the roof and that any damage noted from hail was due to the age of the roof.

Our home was built in 2005 and we have never had any issues. We asked several roofers to assess the roof and each indicated roof damage and provided pictures to show us. I asked the adjustor if any pictures taken could be provided as proof that he was actually on the roof. Our request was denied. We further inquired about the appeal process as we were perplexed the claim was denied. The adjustor indicated that our options were to hire an attorney or schedule an adjustor to come out or file a complaint with the state.

The adjustor further indicated that if we opted to contact the state, our only other recourse beyond that was to hire an attorney. We inquired about the credentials of the adjustor and that of the engineer. The adjustor indicated that he had some training as it relates to roof matters and material and that the structural engineer would conduct some tests the nature of which we did not understand. We opted for the structural engineer who also denied roof damage and supported denial of the claim.

This whole process was troubling as we inquired throughout the community as to storm related damage. Although many roofs in the community have been replaced by other companies due to roof damage, all homeowners within our community insured through AAA who submitted similar claims were also denied. It is perplexing that a perceived reputable company such as AAA is involved in systematically denying legitimate claims for various nefarious reasons. We are highly disappointed, plan to post a review to alert other homeowners and take a look at other insurers reviews to determine a better fit for our homeowner insurance needs.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I recently bought a house and used AAA for homeowners insurance. About a week ago, we received a notice of cancellation. They stated that debris needed to be removed from the yard and that low hanging branches from a tree needed to be trimmed. I called them the following day and asked which branches needed trimming, for which they could not give a definitive answer. I asked what debris they were referring to, and again, they could not give me a definitive answer. They said they would provide me with details and pictures and email me back.

A few days went by without a response. I called my agent several times and did not get a response. I called her manager and did not get a response. I emailed policy management and did not get a response. I finally called policy management (as I did the first time) and again, they were not able to provide the details I needed to become reinstated. Today, I received an email stating that debris needed to be removed from my yard and that low hanging branches from a tree needed to be trimmed. No details, no pictures. We are literally going in circles. We are not opposed to doing the requirements they set forth to become reinstated, but without knowing what exactly needs to be done, it's not a viable option. Additionally, our yard and house are very clean, so we are confused about what debris needs to be removed. Maybe I should apply to AAA. It sounds like I'd fit in.

With a limited timeframe and the inability to get the details of what needs to be done to become reinstated, we will most likely end up dropping AAA for homeowners insurance. I have been a AAA auto member for 17 years, which I plan on cancelling as well. I just can't justify giving this organization any more of my money.

AAA Homeowners Insurance Company Information