3.48/5

AAA Homeowners Insurance

AAA sells a wide variety of insurance types, including auto insurance, home insurance and life insurance. AAA doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you'd like help selecting the best insurance policy for your needs, contact InsuraMatch to get quotes from their partner insurers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

247 AAA Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

My husband did a lot of research and talked with lot of agents to make sure we had good coverage for a good price. Home value amount they make you get coverage for seemed a little high though. Ex: To replace our house was $300k. We can't get that if we sold it. If we lost our home they wouldn't need to replace the foundation. But this is the best coverage for the price and the agent was really nice and knowledgeable.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I transferred to AAA Home and Auto after another 'routine' premium increase with my prior agent. After 2 months, I get a letter in the mail stating AAA was canceling my homeowners (in less than 1 month from receipt of the letter) d/t evidence of woodstove in exterior inspection. I never received a phone call or prior indication that they were going to cancel or needed clarification on whether or not I had a woodstove. I don't have a woodstove but I shopped around and found another agent.

When AAA issued my refund, since the mortgage company pays out for one year in advance, my refund was $55 short d/t an added expense for short-term policies. It doesn't seem to matter to them that they canceled me and it was not my choice to be short term. When I contacted AAA, I was also informed that my auto insurance is going to increase because it is no longer bundled and if I cancel auto there will be another early termination fee for that as well. I strongly encourage people to find their insurance elsewhere.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

AAA has great customer service. A company with easy access online or through phone call and get your information at your fingertips. 24/7 access to customer service and easy to understand policies for the layperson.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Historically, my home and auto have been insured with AAA for 25 years. I've never had a problem with it, in moving and purchasing a home. They were on it with my mortgage company making sure I could take possession of the property when I needed. AAA is a reputable company and I feel secure having AAA as my homeowner's policy. I have not made a claim, but if I should need to I feel comfortable that AAA would be prompt and fair.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

We shopped around for various insurance agencies online and in person. AAA seemed to offer the best type of mortgage insurance that fit our needs for value, cost and protection. Anything happens to the home by fire, water damage, earthquake, damage of all property items, the home plus items list in the home will be replaced at full replacement value along with the home as well. I and my wife like the insurance that we presently have, without purchasing additional insure that is not needed or useful in covering our home value along with the property.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

My family has used various AAA services for generations. They are a well-known company. I trust them to give me the best deal and come through with their service. But I wish I would receive fewer mailings from my AAA homeowners policy. I just want a quarterly (if possible) statement and I can view everything else online. Other than that, AAA is a brand I've relied on since I got my license at 16, and they have never let me down.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

AAA was the best price we could find, and our car insurance, home and property insurance is all covered under the same insurance. However, it doesn't cover what I thought it would and there are hoops to jump through to get things covered like plumbing on your front yard. I wasn't sure if it would cover the pipes close to the street or just right under the house or did they need to be in the house and what about flooding. Nevertheless, AAA covers a lot for a good price and has a low deductible and good customer service.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I have both auto and property. Plus I did an umbrella policy cause I got a great deal. This makes it far easier to manage and stay in touch. The convenience is paramount in to shopping around for policies. I wish it were cheaper though. Insurance has been going up every year at a record pace. This is not fair but they are all doing it. I shopped around and the prices are out of control. AAA was not the cheapest but I liked the fact that I could put everything together. Every company should do this and lower their prices since you are getting 2 or 3 prices.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I chose this company for its great reputation. They are a trusted company with great customer reviews, easy to work with and quick response to any questions I may have. The cost fits into our budget too and we have a peace of mind knowing they have our home insured and covered should anything happen. So far, everything has been easy going. Payments, customer service, cost, what is covered, no issue with any of them.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

A few years ago we got a mailer that sounded interesting. It was a promotional flyer to get a gift card from Target. AAA Homeowners also advertised on TV and I liked the commercials. AAA has a lot to offer. We had heard good things about them. It also insures our cars so it's easy to deal with them for all those various things. I can make payments to only one company. I am happy with their service although I've never made a claim.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

They are fast at filing claims. Also, I like the ease of using the websites. They have calculators to find the best rate possible and interest that is right. Improve the customer service though. It takes a long time to get through to someone on the phone and the wait times to talk to a representative. Also, add more apps for different things. But they offer the lower rates and lower deductibles. You also get rewards for having combined insurances on auto home and health. They also are leaders.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

The rate I am paying AAA is reasonable for home and auto insurance. I like saving money and I like that I received a discount when bundling my auto and house insurance with this company. I was with AAA in the past but had switched many years ago. I will continue to choose this insurance company year after year if the rate continues. I love it.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I consider AAA the best company for homeowners insurance. They stand by what they offer. Wonderful accreditations and great reputation for the number of years they have been in business say it all for sure. Very reasonably priced and easy billing process where payment is included in house payment each month. Very good customer service and transparent company/policy. AAA does what is right for all of their policy holders who may encounter an issue or issues. The competition of other companies out there is not even close to what AAA does and offers for their policy holders. I am totally satisfied with everything with my homeowners insurance policy and I'm glad to have AAA. Been with them for sixteen years and I will never switch to another company even if they offer a better insurance rate.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

AAA is such a wonderful company to work with. They are easy to do business with and the claims process is the best from any company I have used in the past. They are also very competitive with their rates and they have discounts that I can get for being a policyholder.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

We chose this homeowners insurance company for the inside of our house since I have AAA for my car. They have always done good with their roadside assistance. I thought I would give it a chance to see how they would do with house insurance. We have had one claim in the 12 years of owning our house and they were fantastic dealing with our claim. The insurance company could have dealt with our claim a little quicker than it did but it still dealt with the claim in a relatively reasonable amount of time.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

AAA is well known and reliable. They offered the coverage that I wanted and needed at a reasonable price. I was able to get exactly what I was shopping for. And did not have to do much footwork to find what I needed. I like that I can have a one stop shopping experience with this insurance agent. The whole process was seamless, very easy and actually enjoyable. I have always been satisfied with my experiences.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I like that my homeowners insurance is the same company as my auto insurance, so it makes for a discount of course. The homeowners insurance policy that I have, only involves the interior of my home, because I live in a condominium. My homeowners insurance should cover water damage done to any part of your home/condominium though. Meaning upstairs, downstairs, inside, outside of your house/home/condominium.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I have had AAA coverage for as long as I can remember; probably 50 years at least. I did not become a homeowner until 2010. The coverage is almost identical to the coverage I had, but at a lower cost. In addition to lower cost and a trusted name in the industry, there is the AAA assurance for roadside assistance if needed. I also get a discount for bundling auto with homeowner's insurance, and the standard benefits that comes with auto insurance such as assistance with travel plans and other perks I forget at the present time. I'm glad to have the opportunity to use AAA as an insurer.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

They have better prices and better discounts with a more complete insurance policy covering more things with fewer things being disallowed in the policy (dog breeds etc) without having an additional fee to have them. Plus, we don't have a lot of things be disallowed out of hand for strange reasons like pets, vehicles etc and their discounts are great because of the breadth of affiliations you can have (good student, military discount, where you graduated college etc). But they should have the policy be reviewable as a normal policy yearly to ensure that your ongoing needs are being met instead of just letting them roll over year by year without considering changes.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

It's cheaper than other insurance. I never had a problem with the insurance as well. The insurance people are also nice and never rude. They will work with you and the family.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I've been with AAA for decades. Had a storm claim and thought I had replacement coverage but found out replacement doesn't mean replacement. Windstorm roof damage 6500.00 damages, they paid less than a 1/3 and said if I paid balance, afterwards when job complete they would evaluate the job and decide if they would pay balance. Problem is I don't have funds to pay balance to get job paid for, (that's why I pay insurance in the event I can't make unexpected repairs). They suck. Roof still not repaired and time expired to make follow up claim. I also found same coverage for a 1/3 of what they were getting. Can't believe they had to treat me the way they did. STAY AWAY FROM AAA!!!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

We have had ALL of our insurance through AAA for over 15 years. We have had to do a couple of car insurance claims in that time and they were wonderful. THEN we had a huge storm that damaged our home and had to open a Homeowners claim. The storm happened June 2017 and we STILL haven’t had all the damage repaired (a year and a half later). AAA refuses to pay the necessary amount to properly fix the damage.

Our roof, windows and siding were all damaged during the storm. They were fine with replacing the roof and that was done a few months later. The rest, however, has been a nightmare. For some reason, they don’t seem to believe how much it’s going to cost to replace the windows (as if we can control that). We even took it upon ourselves to get SEVERAL quotes from various window manufacturers. We are the original owners/builders of this home so we even showed the ORIGINAL order form of the ORIGINAL windows to show what brand and type they are. What more do they need?!

We just want our home returned back to the way it was... nothing extra. At this point, our contractor is at his wit's end, our house is being infested by hornets that have made a home behind the damaged siding and windows so we couldn’t enjoy our yard all summer and now it is October... that means snow is on its way (we live in Wisconsin) so any home repairs are, once again, going to have to wait until Spring.

On top of that... AAA has not responded to our contractor AFTER he talked to a manager that was “going to take care of it right away.” This was a month ago. I am not a confrontational person, but this situation has pushed me to the brink. We are honest people and we have been loyal to this company for years. I’m beyond disappointed with the way we have been treated. I didn’t ask to be hit by a hail storm, but it happened. I thought AAA would be right there for us. Instead, I feel like we have to fight tooth and nail every step of the way.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

DO NOT HIRE, this guy took 2 days to install an air conditioner at my house, where it only took 4 hours for a professional. He was not able to get the unit in the attic or the outside unit on the concrete block and required my help to do it. In doing so, he set the AC down in my house and scratched the wood floors and damaged a picture.

While I was helping him get it into the attic, he was complaining that he was "in the wrong business." He asked me several times which unit he was installing, the upstairs or downstairs. 1 day later the unit has begun to leak in my attic OUTSIDE the drain pan. There was over 7 gallons of water in the drain pan as well. When I turned the unit off water poured out of the side of the unit at least a pint or two. The whole thing was a circus. He arrived late, with 1/2 the AC unit and had to drive an hour back to get the other. At 8 pm he told me that he "had to be honest, that he was beat." I explained that I had another crew coming in the morning, lucky me I had two units go out at the same time... and he needed to complete the work that evening, which he couldn't because he forgot, or ran out of oxygen to light his torch.

BEWARE, this is not a professional, and I doubt at this point that he is certified. Ridiculous and a waste of my time. In total he spent 11:30-10 pm (with one other guy and some of my help, and Friday and 9:30-4 pm on. So ~25 hrs in what Barton AC did in 4!!! Swearing, pleading his case, excuses and using my tools. Unbelievable. Hire someone else.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Had my auto/homeowners insurance at "like a good neighbor", which was great. I had an at fault accident and consequently my rates went up, leading me to check around. AAA in Glendora Ca seemed fitting especially being a member of 30 years. So I/we had a meeting where my emphasis was to be clear and disclose everything accurately. I made it clear I wanted the correct information about me to be considered. The agent didn't seem to get it. He kept throwing in discounts which I don't want or should have. I'm not married, I don't smoke, I'm not retired. Whatever. Everything would get more reasonable if I get auto and homeowners insurance so I did. So now nearly two months in I get a letter terminating my homeowners policy. They say I'm in a brush fire is area, near a slope or hillside, and that a burglar alarm had inadvertently been applied. So guess what happens to my auto insurance rates.

Resolution response: Oct. 3, 2018

I wrote a letter to my agent at AAA and he worked to escalate the issue with my claim being denied. An adjuster was sent out to record everything and my claim was approved. While the entire situation has been stressful, I am glad I was able to work everything out with AAA and that they were willing to work with me in the end.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I live in a condo. One of my neighbors, who I share a wall with, passed away. He wasn't found for a few weeks so he was severely decomposed when they did. Due to this, and no notification to me, I ended up with maggots/larvae/pupaes/flies in my condo. So bad that the larvae were rising out of the carpet. AAA refused to look at the claim as a biohazard, as should have been done, but as an infestation to avoid paying anything on my claim. Even the companies that clean up these scenes, all the time, said that because of where the bugs came from, it was a biohazard and anywhere the flies or pupae are/land, can cause me, my family, or pets to get sick.

Doesn't matter though, AAA won't even have someone come out and inspect, they just denied the claim based on the incorrect information that was put down when I called in. How do you fully deny something when you didn't even send an inspector out? Not even a partial approval, just outright denied. I now have to spend thousands of dollars to replace carpeting (as they were under the carpet too) and clean everything to make sure I'm not living with diseased bugs. I know my other insurance is going to go up, but I'll be taking my homeowner insurance elsewhere. The lack of investigation or care on anyone's part at AAA isn't worth the couple of dollars discount. Will not be recommending AAA to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

After a tornado we were told NOT to repair ANYTHING until they told us. We would have been without any power and a HOLE in our roof since MID May --- check for their "settlement came" MID June a fraction of real costs of repairs (pennies on the dollars). Months later if we had not repaired it would not be done... horrid arrogant customer service. One adjuster refused to show ID or take roof shingle for report --- RUN from this company.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I am contacting you today because I am very upset with how this situation has been handled and how it has impacted my family. It has put a strain on 86 year old senior citizen's quality of life and her caretaker's life. AAA has made this situation physically, mentally, and emotionally straining. This “small leak” isolated to two rooms has become a homeowner's nightmare to manage due to AAA’s lack of ability to manage their work. As stated in the plumbers report, there is absolutely no evidence of where the leak came from, but it is being falsely stated and believed that it came from a crack that was dye tested and said not leaking. I had to take it upon myself to push to get the inspector about replacing the shower. It is a good thing that I did push because the inspector agreed it absolutely needed to be replaced.

The ** Family is physically, emotionally and mentally exhausted with the strain the lack of communication that has been going on since day one has caused. We started this claim on June 18th and we are almost at the three month mark and still are not close to being done. As a client of AAA, this situation has risen out of control and I will be seeking legal representation if this matter is not solved swiftly and if we are not provided a timeline for events to finish the work that needs to be completed. I will also be demanding that all costs be absorbed by AAA for negligence and for the inconvenience of getting us back into our family home. This weekend after seeing the pain and suffering that our family has sustained after being placed out of our home for a few months has pushed me to advise AAA that enough is enough.

I have even tried to speed up the process by asking BMS to not replace the carpet/flooring in hopes of getting us back into the home faster I should not have to do this. I am doing this to get my family back to a quality of life in the comfort of their own home. In the last email chain, I gave the go ahead on August 3rd, to which it was obvious that no one had a clue of what has been going on or how long we have been out of our home. The worst part, is that the contractor doesn’t even realize that there is a time frame in which the work needs to be completed. AAA should be dictating this to the companies they are working with. This was the reason I chose to use your vendor so issues would be minimized. I have forwarded Jamie ** my out of pocket I took in the beginning as requested for reimbursed.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Renters Insurance Claim - Terrible! I would never purchase a policy with AAA. My neighbors had it. I did not but their apartment flooded into my apartment for a few hours. When I returned home my apartment and belongings were so bad. I sent minimal requests for damage even though I lost more (for instance I had to pay to relocate with my 5 kids and I didn't even add those in my damage costs). Well my adjuster has been giving me the runaround for 5 months now and has just informed me that she has 3 years to settle my claim.

Well it took me 25 hours to send her all my receipts. I’m not understanding why I should have to wait so long to be reimbursed. That’s ridiculous! And then she told me to stop contacting her supervisor only contact her because she will get to it. She’s behind, AAA needs to hire people that have the time to actually DO THEIR JOB! I don’t care what you don’t have time for. You’re still getting paid. Very poor customer service if you ask me.

Original review: July 25, 2018

My agent was Chris ** in the Thornwood AAA office for decades, in the beginning he was very responsive and very accurate with all aspects of our transactions. He even responded and conducted a lot of our business via email. Things were great up until about 4 years ago for some reason. I had always recommended AAA to my friends and family until then. About 4 years ago things changed drastically not only with Chris but also with the offices and its personnel. His responses became less consistent by email up to days, then weeks then so long that I ended up having to call to reach him at all. Then even calling I was unable to reach him and left voicemails to him and his assistant.

This went on for about 4 years and only got worse. The last straw was when I NEEDED to make sure my homeowners coverage was still current and was not able to reach him or anyone who would help me at ALL. I called the office that he had been in Thornwood but they said he had moved I believe to the Capital office. I complained about the lack of responsiveness to the manager at the time who was there, but she was not interesting in dealing with the issues and said that I need to talk to him directly to clear things up, not even a sorry to hear about your experience. So I called that office but he wasn't there AGAIN. I was transferred to someone who they said was his assistant (not sure if it was just for that day) a female at the time but she also was not interested at all in my obvious description of 'very poor service' and in fact responded quite shockingly "So what do you want me to do about this?". Are you kidding me?

If a customer complains that they can't get anyone to return their call or get status on their policies, wouldn't you think a more professional and compassionate response would be, "I am so very sorry to heard about your troubles, let me see if we can't straighten this out for you now. Let me ask you some questions. I might not be able to straighten things out for you, but we will get the ball rolling", or something like that. I tried a few more minutes with her but I could tell she was not interested in assisting me, so I asked for the manager but got a supervisor instead.

A female who after I calmly explained about my original issue with Chris and the new problems with his assistants lack of interest in providing friendly customer service I got a similar response from her initially. She was not interested in helping me with my policies and she did not acknowledge that there was a issue with the staff at all at first. She referred me to the 800 number if I needed to clear things up right away, that was it! I asked her "are you at all concerned about the customer service issues I just mentioned?". She halfheartedly acknowledged by saying "yes, and what would you like me to do?" OMG seriously, this now seemed like a systemic issue with minimal or no customer service training.

I asked if I could speak to the manager, she said he would be in tomorrow BUT then she started apologizing and became more open to listening to my issues, but I was done at that point. I asked if she could have the manager of this office give me a call. She said very politely 'yes, absolutely I will let him know and have him call you as soon as he comes in'. Can you guess what happens next... Yes of course, no one called. I call the 800 number that day and cancelled all 5 of my policies that day! (2 cars, 1 rental, 1 home, 1 earthquake). I was really shocked I have been with AAA for over 30 years and they used to have the very best people and service. Not sure what has happened in that last 4 years but they ** suck now.

Original review: July 21, 2018

AAA goes up every year so much and it is ridiculous. Service is great but cost out of control. You can go to the locations which are close to home and all the people that work there are extremely helpful and friendly.

AAA Homeowners Insurance Company Information