Compare Quotes and Save

21st Century Insurance
1.63/5
Based on 183 reviews that contain star ratings

21st Century Insurance

21st Century Insurance sells car insurance that comes with free roadside assistance. At this time, 21st Century isn't a verified InsuraMatch partner. To find a company that meets InsuraMatch's standards and get quotes, call InsuraMatch to get started. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

217 21st Century Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

My mother, who has had 21st Century for as long as I've been alive, was backing out of a parking space and had to wait for a free cars before she could proceed. She was 1/3 out of the space and another lady who had already cleared her car was off to one side and saw a another car backing out. The lady then reversed so she could get the space and in doing so hit my mother's car. She told witnesses she had hit my mother's car and took complete blame for it. We then called the woman's insurance company and filed a claim with a very polite and professional rep. Unfortunately for us the woman had called my mother's insurance claiming it was my mother who hit her.

The rep from 21st called my mother's house and on one occasion my wife answered and the rep was very rude for no reason other than he is a **. My mother called him back, I called him back, and all we got was his voicemail. Finally after days of trying, she talks to him and he has determined my mother was at fault. My mother has a nearly flawless driving record and yet her rep just threw her to the other insurance company and said "ok it's our driver's fault" just like that.

My mother had witnesses who called on her behalf but because the 21st Century rep was too busy being a jerk and unable to do his job, she gets to take the hit on her record and money out of her pocket. The lady states that she had reversed into my mother's car, and yet my mother is to blame? If you want an insurance company that won't stand behind you but will treat you like a piece of trash, go with 21st Century. Wawanesa Insurance seems to back their drivers even when they admit fault.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I used 21st Century Auto Insurance for over two decades. In that time, I have had nothing but positive interactions with them. Their customer services and agents are topnotch. They are always helpful, friendly, and informative. When my car was totaled in an accident (not my fault), they made the claims process painless. I didn't have to worry about my rental car and they had my money to me within two weeks. I can't say enough good things about them.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I have been a customer since 2016. They gradually increased the premium and I ended up paying 147% more in 2018 compare to 2016. Their excuse about business expenses. Just got a quote from a major insurance company and their quote was half of what I am paying 21st and even the liability coverage is higher. No words...

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Had good experience when it comes to processing claims. They kept me informed. They increased my home insurance by 100% and when asked why they said that they don’t need to explain. Also their car insurance premiums were very high compared to others. I had to move to other company after 10 years of being their customer.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

This is the most horrible auto insurance company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. They provide the worst customer service. They keep you on hold for over 30 minutes! They raised my rate, and when I asked why, they told me, "it is simply the cost of business." Then when I cancelled they had the nerve to send me a bill for $50 because they said it is a penalty for canceling, and then demanded that I pay it immediately! When I told them I had already paid what I owed them. They told me it's the law that I have to pay this fee, when I asked for proof, they then said it wasn't a law but I was still required to pay the fee. I told them, "You are charging me $50 to punish me for going with another insurance company". They said no, but when I then asked again why should I have to pay a bill just because they "feel" like charging me. They couldn't come up with any good reason. Whatever you do, don't get 21st insurance, they are horrible.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 21st Century Insurance group?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Their claims process is a joke. They are very uncommunicative. My adjuster called once in the morning while I was at work. I returned his call minutes later but only got voicemail so I left a message. Heard nothing from him all day then get an email after business hours concerning a new claims document. I can’t even view the document with the link they provide, it just sends me to an error page. I had the same pathetic experience with another claim (both not at fault accidents). I heard from my adjuster once, and after that he doesn’t answer or return any of my calls but they’ll be more than happy to send you documents via email that you can view if you’re lucky. Hoping to switch companies after this claims process is over.

Original review: June 1, 2018

We have 21st Century Insurance after shopping around. They were the best fit for us although premiums and deductions are way too high. I like their customer service reps who know their job and do it well, and courteously, give great rates and have different options for payment and give you a choice as to what time of the month you want to pay. But I do not like it when a company says, "We will give you a replacement car" but the fine print says your car has to be a year old with low miles on it. No one reads the fine print so the rep. should make all options plain and clear to the buyer. I'm not a fan of insurance companies because I see them as robbers. They are big business.

Original review: May 25, 2018

21st Century Insurance was the best in California! The claim was many years ago, but the company was very quick to get an appraiser out to look at my vehicle, and quick with payment for damages. Also when I lived there the rates were great; not so much when I moved to OH. Then they stopped covering OH altogether.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I was hit from the side and damage to my right wheel well, bumper and right front door is obvious. The other driver admitted immediately it was his fault. He pulled out from a parked position and hit me as I was passing. After speaking to both companies' adjuster, my adjuster for 21ST CENTURY cannot, and will not make a phone call to the ALLSTATE agent refuting their claim that I was 20% at fault. I sent my adjuster the pictures taken at the scene, still no assistance. She claims because I do not carry "full coverage" on my car, that they can not help. So why do I pay those monthly premiums if they don't advocate (at least a phone call!) for their clients? Not my 1st complaint about this unethical company!

They also refused to advocate for me when I needed a rental when another car of mine was accordioned from the rear. I was stuck with a $1900.00 out of pocket bill because they would not negotiate with the other insurer. They are great at keeping you on track with paying your premiums, but don't ever need their assistance. I will now have to hire a lawyer to get my car fixed 100%. I will be looking for an insurance co that is ethical, and responsible. (Am I dreaming?)

Original review: May 14, 2018

Yes the process to borrow went quickly but if you have something come up that your payment won't be "on or before" the due date be prepared to be intimidated or even threatened by a supervisor. I have had to call twice and both times have me afraid to answer the phone if they call.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I just had the best validation of my decision to leave 21st Century Auto insurance. I'm moving, I needed to add insurance and found a better deal on several policies than what I had with this company. I've been with them for over (way over) 10 years. When logging in to my account, I found no way to cancel online, so elected to use "Live Chat." The initial screen said I was #6 in the queue and would wait an estimated 48 seconds for help. I sat for 50 minutes and watched as I moved up to #1 in the queue. Then I was # 2, then #1. After almost an hour, the screen showed "Request canceled. No agents are available."

After this wait, I made a phone call and was abandoned during a transfer. A call to another number got me to a live agent who told me I could cancel the policy, but there would be a $50 charge. I asked for the fee to be waived based on the hour of wasted time online, but he was unable to do so and justified the failure of the online chat by telling me, "It's Monday. We're busy on Mondays." I suggested if this is a true they should get more help on Mondays and asked for a supervisor. Two levels of supervisors later made it clear that the fee wouldn't be waived. My only apparent option is online reviews and word of mouth.

I was treated rudely at every step and was inconvenienced by incompetence and the fact that I was requesting to cancel. Although, I suspect there's no law, contract, or policy violation, companies like this that lack the integrity to honor customers requests to mitigate time wasted due to incompetent management shouldn't be on anyone's list of businesses to spend your money on. If you're considering 21st Century for any service. Think twice. You've been warned.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I have been a customer with 21st Century for over 5 yrs. On March 1st I decided to go with a different company because they could give me a better deal. At 53 yrs old I have switched insurance a number of times. To my surprise, upon canceling my policy, they were extremely snotty and told me they were keeping $50 cancellation fee (Never had that happen before. Every other company I have ever been with, automatically refunds your unused portion of your policy). Not them. They said they were only giving me back $29. Well didn't receive anything and after two weeks I called to ask why? Again I was greeted coldly and I was told they were charging me the $50, and my balance means I owe them $29. I am in shock. $50 doesn't sound like much, but I am a widow on a limited income with a special needs child. Every dollar counts.

And on top of this, to be treated so rudely after all the years I was a loyal customer and gave them my money (I have a pristine driving history) what a slap in the face. They are a greedy nasty company and after reading the many much more underhanded things they have pulled on all of these people, I would warn everyone to stay far away from them. There are much better and nicer companies who actually appreciate your business, think of you as a human being and treat you that way. Don't let this company fool you. They are out for your money and don't care about trampling you when you are no longer their money tree.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

My car got rear ended and automatically had multiple problems, including oil leak, electronic, transmission, tires. 21st Century paid for the damage to the bumper and said other damage didn't come from accident. Who is protecting the consumer in this case. There are numerous complaints about 21st Century. They recently stopped offering their auto insurance in my state and transferred the policies to another Farmers company called Bristol West Insurance... a 1.5 star rated insurance company. I wouldn't use either of these companies and have totally lost respect for Farmers and 21st Century.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

They are on the ball with all aspects of my coverage. I have been a long time customer, and have had 2 accidents, not my fault, which the company handled beginning to end. They were very prompt in addressing all of my personal questions and handling the claim. They paid me top dollar on my vehicle, which was a total loss, and even followed up with me once claim was closed, just to see how I was doing and feeling. How cool is that?!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I was added to my father's existing policy. He was elderly, I had to double check rates to make sure the price was fair... FAIR?? VERY FAIR! I had one fender bender and there was accident forgiveness and one subsequent accident all without a hitch. Filing a claim was done for me by a relative and had quick, pleasant customer service.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I dropped my car keys down a storm drain. Call for roadside assistance while me and my son sat outside of our vehicle for three hours. Three hours. Yes three hours. Not even exaggerating. I eventually gave up on waiting for them and went home then they said that the service provider showed up and I refused the service because I wasn’t there well of course I wasn’t. It was now midnight and I’m not going to wait any longer. I walked home. I still was charged for the service as if I refused it. Why would any insurance company leave a single mom and their child outside for 3 hours at night time waiting for help? Definitely not an insurance company I will be keeping much longer.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

This company is always quick to respond and has always been easy to deal with. Their agents always are helpful and knowledgeable and seem to be there for the customer too. Whether it’s to see if they can help ease the cost of the policy, or to help you through an accident. They even lowered my monthly bill considerably when I told them how little I actually drove my car. The agent asked how many miles I had on the car, and calculated that my insurance should be about $300.00 a year less.

I was also involved in a car crash when another vehicle, ran a red light and smashed into us. Everyone was safe thank God, however, my car was totaled. My insurance company had an agent out the next day. He said he could open a claim, and give us an estimate of what they would pay for the totaled car. I was quoted a fair price, and eventually went with my insurance, instead of the at fault driver’s. The other driver's insurance company wanted to start at a very low price and haggle over the final settlement. I eventually called 21st Century back and said I wanted them to handle the case. I received a check in less than a week.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I spoke with them 6/20/17 after thunders storm shorted out my unit. They sent a company named Chesapeake to view damages. The estimate was $5000 for new unit because of damage. 8/23/17 still no A/C. Chesapeake said they could fix it for $500. Ok. No response from Chesapeake or 21st Century. Can't speak to managers or anyone except Joel ** and he is a smart mouth representative! I have correspondence via email stating costs and claim denied because of surged wires.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

My Insurance premium has doubled and I have all dismissed tickets and one that is a non moving violation and this fraudulent company increased my premium completely disregarding the dismissals and non moving violation. I highly suggest not using 21st Century. I will be seeking counsel tomorrow to sue for illegal and unethical business practice.

Original review: July 6, 2017

I have had this insurance co. (21st Century ), for almost 5 years. The whole time I've had a car loan, and have the required full coverage. I have NEVER asked for help in any way from my auto insurance Co. Today I called their 800 number for roadside assistance, because my car would not start. I am a single mother of a special needs child, and my vehicle is extremely important to my daughter's safety and livelihood.

I called at 9:00 A.M. and was told the agent would call me back with the tow information. 45 minutes later I did not hear from her and so I called her back and was told I would have to WAIT an ADDITIONAL HOUR for service, AND it would COST ME MONEY! After an hour and a half, with no tow truck in sight, I again called back. The man I spoke to was very nice, he told me that my request had never been put through!!! He apologized profusely, but informed me that I would have to wait an additional hour!!

I stated my dissatisfaction, and that I felt that I should NOT have to pay any money, considering the extremely POOR customer service I had received. He insisted that I would have to pay. Therefore, I cancelled my request for service. I have NEVER requested service before, I have NEVER been treated so badly, and I will NEVER ask for help from 21st Century again! I called Triple A and received IMMEDIATE service. The POOR customer service is disgusting! AND I am considering switching insurance companies because of this!

Original review: June 13, 2017

I first obtained auto insurance with 21st Century in 2011. After 5 years, 3 teenagers and an additional 3 autos added to the policy, my 6 month premium went from $823.55 to $2353.72! My stepson had an at-fault accident, and was then immediately removed from our policy as he started driving a car of his mother's. Six months passed and my youngest daughter got her license. They told me when I had added my stepson that boys always cost more than girls. But here I am, looking for new insurance because they stopped offering in the state of MO, and realize they show that accident on my daughter's record now (when she didn't even have a license yet).

After 3-4 hours on the phone with 7-10 different people, I still don't have this resolved. They also now say that I have not been overcharged for the accident showing on my daughter's record because since she has less than 3 years driving experience, they rate her as having had an accident, whether she has or not. So they're saying there is no difference in rates for teenagers regardless of driving history or gender. Quite the opposite of what they told me in the past, when my stepson had a higher rate for being a boy, and then for causing an accident. I can't even explain the frustration after 2 days of dealing with them. The highest rate at the end of using their insurance is now that we're down to 1 teenager and 1 less vehicle on the policy. And yet the rate is at the highest it's ever been. Shame on Farmers for owning such a shady company!

Original review: May 21, 2017

21st Century has a smooth professional claims process. Called the claims department, they took down the information and dealt with the other party. It was seamless.

Original review: May 15, 2017

I had a towing bill claim and it was a bit difficult to get them to understand that they owed payment of the bill both under the complimentary free $70 towing coverage and the additional $70 coverage for which I paid a premium. They no longer offer the complimentary free coverage. But this is very reasonable coverage for someone with an excellent driving record.

Original review: April 23, 2017

Last year when our auto insurance came up for renewal, 21st Century Insurance informed me that our auto insurance with them would be cancelled on the renewal date and that they would no longer be writing auto insurance in South Carolina. I had been with 21st Century for over 5 years. I then had to shop for new auto insurance only to find that what we were paying to 21st Century would more than double with other companies. Have had no accidents or claims in the past 5 years, but yet we are having to pay double to insure our vehicles. Both vehicles are getting older and we are older drivers. What a rip off!

Just received our homeowner's renewal policy through 21st Century insurance. The rate on our homeowners insurance has gone up $81.00 for the year. The increase was because we no longer have our vehicles insured through them. Let see now, they cancelled our auto insurance because they were no longer writing insurance in South Carolina, yet we have to pay an additional $81.00 a year for homeowners insurance because we lost the multicar discount and auto/homeowner combined discount. This is fraudulent and unethical. These insurance companies NEED to be audited and regulated for this type of activity. This has all gotten out of hand!

Original review: April 15, 2017

After 10 years of being with 21st, I forgot to pay my insurance one month! Realized my mistake the very next month, but it was too late! 10 years of giving them money. No accidents! No tickets! Miss one flipping payment, and it's up yours, go somewhere else! I didn't tell them the only thing I could think of why I must have forgot to pay my March 2017 premium was March 10, 2017 my best friend's sister was murder! Not an excuse, but for someone like me who is never late paying my bills, her murder was all I could think of why I forgot! Well UP 21st you know what! Money grubbing bastards!

Original review: April 3, 2017

My son's new car was sideswiped about three months after he bought it. The other driver was found 100% at fault. We ran the claim through our insurance company (21st Century-Farmers) and after rather long delays, the repairs estimates were approved and the work completed. Part of the repair was to replace a "Stealth Wrap" that we had done. The estimate was submitted and approved by our 21st Century adjuster and the work completed to the tune of $4,000. Our adjuster told the installer of the wrap that the check was on the way. Several weeks later he called to say he still hadn't received the check and was getting worried.

Shortly after that a new person from 21st Century called me to say that our policy had a $1,000 limit on aftermarket parts and that's all they would cover. I reminded him that it was the fault of the other driver and that driver's insurance should be covering 100% of whatever it took to get my son's car back to new condition. He said they would be holding us to our policy limit. I then also explained that his adjuster had approved the repair and that if the wrap had not been on the car, they would have had to pay for the entire right side to be repainted, certainly costing more than the $4,000 wrap. He said he'd see what they could do. Of course we just received a check for the $1,000 made out to the at fault driver. Talk about a cluster **. Needless to say that after many years of having as many as six autos insured by 21st Century, they have just lost our business.

Original review: March 12, 2017

I have been long time customer with 21st Century Insurance. They just raised my premium based on a fraudulent insurance claim. I do not have any tickets or accidents in my record for 31 years ever since I have been driving & over 20 years with 21st Century. I have been lucky enough to have NEVER even needed a TOW or ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE. As you know when a kid gets of driving age they must be added the policy. My daughter lets someone drive her vehicle & the driver hit a DOUBLE PARKED car with NO ONE in the car. The man heard the bang and runs back outside.

He LIED and said he was in the vehicle when it was hit. But does not call an ambulance at the scene. He calls his daughter for a ride home. He goes to the doctor sometime later and keeps going to the doctor, submits the doctor bill and a FRAUD claim and 21st Century pays this man 70,000. False Insurance claims is a CRIME. It is not to make extra income! THE MAN WAS NOT IN THE CAR WHEN IT WAS HIT. HIS OWN INSURANCE COMPANY DID NOT BELIEVE HIM AND DENIED HIS CLAIM BUT 21st Century settles the fraud claim for 70,000 UNBELIEVABLE!!! I did not know it was this easy to commit insurance fraud!!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

I have been long time Customer with 21st Century Insurance. My renewal come for next 6 month and they raised. I don't any ticket or accidents in my record for 15 years even good Credit. I use to pay automatic every 6 month in full. I called and she told me I had two roadside assistance and someone in claim department entered as accident. She said call claim department and correct, I did called claim department they said "You only had two roadside assistance not a accident." Final they told me "we don't know why you premium is raised but someone will contact to you in 48 hours." Week later I get same Bill in the mail. Finally I went online and shop around and found good deal.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

I'm dumping this ** insurance company. I will not and do not recommend them to anyone. My vehicle was scratched thus is being investigated. Requesting my ssn# for any credit issues and a bunch of other crappie. 21st Century can go to hell. Will not longer be a customer after your time-consuming investigation. Have fun **. My credit is good.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

When I originally signed on with 21st Century Insurance almost 2 years ago I was paying about 2/3 of my present premium, approximately $700.00 for 6 months. My bill in 2016 was $885.00 for 6 months. I just opened my bill for 2017 and it’s $1042 for 6 months and increase of almost 18% in 6 months... 18%! My pay doesn't go up that fast!! I have no tickets, no accidents and a perfect driving record and yet I'm paying an 18% increase for "6" months. This is called gouging or ** and pillage! Their profit was in the billions of dollars in 2015 and 2016.

When I phoned them I was told they paid out more than they had anticipated. Let’s see. More people in general are driving than ever before and $20,000,000,000.00 isn't enough net profit for them!! I'm now shopping. I have no issue with the company except they are out of control with their rate increases, 18% in 6 months!!! Perhaps I just don't make so much money that it shouldn't matter, but it does! I don’t like being taken advantage of or having my money stolen from me.

21st Century Insurance Company Information