Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
21st Century Insurance
1.60/5

21st Century Insurance

21st Century Insurance sells car insurance that comes with free roadside assistance. At this time, 21st Century isn't a verified InsuraMatch partner. To find a company that meets InsuraMatch's standards and get quotes, call InsuraMatch to get started. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Customers have had access to 21st Century plans for more than half a century and report continued satisfaction with the company as it has grown. Reviewers note fast turn around times for claims, more than fair prices and accident forgiveness.

PROS

• Fast claim fulfillment
  • Accident forgiveness
  • Customers rave about low prices
  • Mobile app and roadside assistance
  • Reviews mention benefits for long-time customers

CONS

• Some customers experienced customer service issues after the company merged with a larger firm
  • Plans not available in all states

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

228 21st Century Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 28, 2019

Here is the thing; I had called 21st Century Insurance just to add another car, now I have been with this company for a few more like 5 years! Never had an accident or issues. Always pay in time. As I was saying all I wanted to do was add a car and I get all this lecture!!! Bottom line is: Agent ROSA EMPLOYEE NUMBER ** said that practically they only exist in the internet or over the phone. There is no office. She just wanted me to take my money somewhere else. Very rude person. Here is the thing for 21st Century Insurance if you don't want to lose more Good customers please train or fired those who don't want to do the job.

Original review: June 19, 2019

As a customer of 21st century insurance I occasionally pay online. They use Western Union to process their payments. It's a $2.50 charge. I've done it before, no big deal... Until it was. About a week ago I paid my bill using their Western Union payment processing. Shortly after processing my payment through Western Union I checked my bank account and found that my payment had been withdrawn twice. I did not submit a payment twice. There was a glitch in their system. I called 21st Century when I noticed the double charge. The customer service rep said she didn't see any charges come through yet and that I should call back the next day.

When I called back the next day they said the only way they could issue a refund was if I called the same day that I made the payment. I explained that I did call the same day but it was too late. Apparently no one can do anything!!! I still think 21st Century could have done something to return my money since they had accepted it twice. My bank told me it had somehow issued two approval codes and that if 21st Century accepted one and kicked back the other it would be returned to my account within 48 hours. But instead, 21st Century accepted both payments.

Don't ever pay with Western Union. Apparently if the charge goes through twice it takes an act of God to get it reversed. 21st Century insists that there is no way for them to refund my money except to issue a check after 10 days. I thought that was ridiculous. It was over $500 that was taken out of my account twice. Waiting 10 days plus mail time for them to return that kind of money was not an option for me. I contacted my bank to contest the charge, explaining that it had been charged twice. It was pretty obvious that this was a mistake. This is when I was informed that since it was a Western Union transaction they have absolutely no way of helping me get my money back.

Beware. If you pay using Western Union and there is any kind of issue, you have little recourse. I had no idea and I will NEVER use them again. The best 21st century could do was waive the 10-day waiting period. It still took more than a week to get my money back. It's ridiculous that nobody warns you about these things. My advice is to think twice before making any kind of payment through Western Union.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I had a wreck. Not my fault, I got rear ended. I didn’t even get a call back from 21st Century Insurance till Progressive Insurance came out, check the car out and total my car out. All I wanted 21st Century Insurance was the value of the car. They call back after I cash the check from Progressive Insurance. Their underwriting department sent me a threatening letter. Their customer service sucks. I have been driving for 48 years, they have been my only insurance company. I don’t know what has happened to them.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Horrible customer service!!! I have been a loyal client over 20 years.... Your representatives need new training especially if they are giving out false information and then the answer is always "No no no. Not in California. The system doesn't allow it." A bunch of bologna... Where's the customer care.... My last phone call in March left a sour taste in my mouth and today's call left an even worse taste in my mouth. I'm clearly just another ticket #.... I have now been forced to take my money to another company that cares about their partnership because this Farmers insurance take over from 21st most definitely does not!!!! Dissatisfied loyal client.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I have had auto insurance with this company for 20 years, no late payments ever and no accident claims. On my last renewal somehow the automatic credit card payment was declined and they just canceled my policy. Their system had a technical error as later on the phone I learned that somehow their system was saying that my cc had expired when it actually did not and they used charge this card just fine for the last 3 years. There was no notification of failed payment and an opportunity to call them about this and fix it. They just mailed me a letter that my policy was canceled as of like 26 days ago! I was driving with no insurance and not even knew about this. Obviously they have no respect for their long-time customers. I will now shop for another insurance company and I will not recommend this company to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 21st Century Insurance group?

Original review: April 25, 2019

Nicole ** Horrible supervisor, not willing to help out! She should not be a supervisor with more than enough evidence showing that the other person is liable and my vehicle damaged, then said it's not my fault in the accident and that the other party is not either. So it's nobody's fault, which does not make any sense! These companies just do not want to pay! No matter what, we will see what happens in the court of law! Ending My vehicle policies with them. Don't do business with these scammers!

Original review: April 21, 2019

So I have had 21st Century for the past 25 years. No issues ever because I never had a claim and always paid my bill on time and via automatic payments. So fast forward to two weeks ago and I am issued a new debit card from my bank with a new card number. Since I forgot to update my 21st Century account with the new number I get a notice in the mail that my auto insurance has been canceled. The notice a arrives a week after the cancellation date, no warning, no email, no attempted phone call. Then they have the nerve to charge me $10 to reinstate my account. All this after 25 years of paying my bill and never being even a day late. They've lost my business for good, and that of my adult children too. These companies should pay better attention to keeping their good customers once they have them.

Original review: April 2, 2019

The issue that I have is that I get paid on the 3rd of every month. These MORONS took money out of my checking account on the 31st. On that date I don't have enough to cover the payment. I explain this to these people at 21st Century. These IDIOTS don't seem to understand that every month it's going to be the same issue....no money available till the 3rd....but they didn't want to change the date to the fifth of every month like I had for many years. They change the date to the 31st without any approval from me. They said that they couldn't change it back to the fifth. I ask why since that how it was for many years. They answered that it was not an option??? There something really wrong with these people at 21st Century. They really don't get the words!! COMMON SENSE!!!!

Original review: March 30, 2019

I have had this insurance for several years and have contacted this company several times for policy changes, information etc. The only time I was treated with courtesy is when I called roadside assistance one time. The representatives that I had spoken with have all been short and at times rude and unfriendly. Every time my policy renewed the price would go up. I have not had any traffic incidents since I signed up with them. After this last time once again, of rising premiums and unfriendly service I decided to switch to another company and ended up saving 55 dollars a MONTH for the SAME coverage and nicer representatives.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I don't know about the company but I have met with an accident with one of their client, It was his mistake. At the time of claiming The representative whom I have spoke was very rude and cheap. As part of the claim he has to provide me a vehicle while they send my car to Body shop. I asked for same segment car which I was driving. The representative was so arrogant that, he started saying, "I cannot give Mercedes or Toyota Avalon for you." Moreover 2018 Corolla is equal to 2016 Camry. Without knowing facts he was claiming "both have same engines, and what's your problem in that". If he has some budget problem, I can understand that. But he cannot be so rude. As he was talking cheap. I didn't find a point in arguing with him. I will not recommend this Insurance to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I was a customer for close to 20 years and this year, I had to add my newly licensed 17 year old to my policy. I made the policy adjustment on August 14th and at the time, they couldn't provide me with a quote - the representative said the system was not able to update that at the time. I trusted this company from past experience, so I let it go but checked my online policy every other day waiting for the updated information and policy amount. I called back twice in the month of August and was told both times that they were having system issues and I would need to check back at the end of the month. I called back at the beginning of September and was finally able to get my quote. The new charges were EXTREMELY high! I was expecting it to be a lot higher, but this was ridiculous. I called around to other insurance companies and found another provider that saved me $1,400 a year and provided better coverage.

I canceled my policy with 21st Century on Sept. 20th and asked if I owed them any money. The representative said that they couldn't tell now, the policy was in process and they would notify me if I had a balance due or a refund. I tried logging into the policy periodically but I was locked out. I watched for invoices and received nothing. On Nov. 13th I received a collections notification - I was sent to collections without ever receiving a bill. I called 21st again tonight and was told that they sent me 1 invoice and the policy cancellation acknowledgment on Sept. 22nd and 26th - I KNOW I did not receive this. I told the rep. that I found it strange that I have received every policy declaration for the last 20 years and the one time I really needed something, it somehow never made it to the same house I have always lived in. The agent read the notes from previous contact I had and agreed that there were a lot of issues and apologized for that.

She said that she would escalate my account due to the notes she could see regarding all of the issues but that I would need to pay the $432 that was due for the 37 days my kid was insured with them. She said they would escalate this to retract my collections notice if I paid now so I did this to avoid having a collection notice. I let the rep. know that I was very disappointed with their service and that I would be writing a review and sharing my experience with everyone I can, to help them avoid this happening to them. There are many insurance companies to choose from, I recommend you read reviews for the ones you are considering before you go with 21st Century. I looked at reviews before writing this one and if you sign up based on reviews...you won't be choosing them.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

My mother, who has had 21st Century for as long as I've been alive, was backing out of a parking space and had to wait for a free cars before she could proceed. She was 1/3 out of the space and another lady who had already cleared her car was off to one side and saw a another car backing out. The lady then reversed so she could get the space and in doing so hit my mother's car. She told witnesses she had hit my mother's car and took complete blame for it. We then called the woman's insurance company and filed a claim with a very polite and professional rep. Unfortunately for us the woman had called my mother's insurance claiming it was my mother who hit her.

The rep from 21st called my mother's house and on one occasion my wife answered and the rep was very rude for no reason other than he is a **. My mother called him back, I called him back, and all we got was his voicemail. Finally after days of trying, she talks to him and he has determined my mother was at fault. My mother has a nearly flawless driving record and yet her rep just threw her to the other insurance company and said "ok it's our driver's fault" just like that.

My mother had witnesses who called on her behalf but because the 21st Century rep was too busy being a jerk and unable to do his job, she gets to take the hit on her record and money out of her pocket. The lady states that she had reversed into my mother's car, and yet my mother is to blame? If you want an insurance company that won't stand behind you but will treat you like a piece of trash, go with 21st Century. Wawanesa Insurance seems to back their drivers even when they admit fault.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I used 21st Century Auto Insurance for over two decades. In that time, I have had nothing but positive interactions with them. Their customer services and agents are topnotch. They are always helpful, friendly, and informative. When my car was totaled in an accident (not my fault), they made the claims process painless. I didn't have to worry about my rental car and they had my money to me within two weeks. I can't say enough good things about them.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I have been a customer since 2016. They gradually increased the premium and I ended up paying 147% more in 2018 compare to 2016. Their excuse about business expenses. Just got a quote from a major insurance company and their quote was half of what I am paying 21st and even the liability coverage is higher. No words...

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Had good experience when it comes to processing claims. They kept me informed. They increased my home insurance by 100% and when asked why they said that they don’t need to explain. Also their car insurance premiums were very high compared to others. I had to move to other company after 10 years of being their customer.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

This is the most horrible auto insurance company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. They provide the worst customer service. They keep you on hold for over 30 minutes! They raised my rate, and when I asked why, they told me, "it is simply the cost of business." Then when I cancelled they had the nerve to send me a bill for $50 because they said it is a penalty for canceling, and then demanded that I pay it immediately! When I told them I had already paid what I owed them. They told me it's the law that I have to pay this fee, when I asked for proof, they then said it wasn't a law but I was still required to pay the fee. I told them, "You are charging me $50 to punish me for going with another insurance company". They said no, but when I then asked again why should I have to pay a bill just because they "feel" like charging me. They couldn't come up with any good reason. Whatever you do, don't get 21st insurance, they are horrible.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Their claims process is a joke. They are very uncommunicative. My adjuster called once in the morning while I was at work. I returned his call minutes later but only got voicemail so I left a message. Heard nothing from him all day then get an email after business hours concerning a new claims document. I can’t even view the document with the link they provide, it just sends me to an error page. I had the same pathetic experience with another claim (both not at fault accidents). I heard from my adjuster once, and after that he doesn’t answer or return any of my calls but they’ll be more than happy to send you documents via email that you can view if you’re lucky. Hoping to switch companies after this claims process is over.

Original review: June 1, 2018

We have 21st Century Insurance after shopping around. They were the best fit for us although premiums and deductions are way too high. I like their customer service reps who know their job and do it well, and courteously, give great rates and have different options for payment and give you a choice as to what time of the month you want to pay. But I do not like it when a company says, "We will give you a replacement car" but the fine print says your car has to be a year old with low miles on it. No one reads the fine print so the rep. should make all options plain and clear to the buyer. I'm not a fan of insurance companies because I see them as robbers. They are big business.

Original review: May 25, 2018

21st Century Insurance was the best in California! The claim was many years ago, but the company was very quick to get an appraiser out to look at my vehicle, and quick with payment for damages. Also when I lived there the rates were great; not so much when I moved to OH. Then they stopped covering OH altogether.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I was hit from the side and damage to my right wheel well, bumper and right front door is obvious. The other driver admitted immediately it was his fault. He pulled out from a parked position and hit me as I was passing. After speaking to both companies' adjuster, my adjuster for 21ST CENTURY cannot, and will not make a phone call to the ALLSTATE agent refuting their claim that I was 20% at fault. I sent my adjuster the pictures taken at the scene, still no assistance. She claims because I do not carry "full coverage" on my car, that they can not help. So why do I pay those monthly premiums if they don't advocate (at least a phone call!) for their clients? Not my 1st complaint about this unethical company!

They also refused to advocate for me when I needed a rental when another car of mine was accordioned from the rear. I was stuck with a $1900.00 out of pocket bill because they would not negotiate with the other insurer. They are great at keeping you on track with paying your premiums, but don't ever need their assistance. I will now have to hire a lawyer to get my car fixed 100%. I will be looking for an insurance co that is ethical, and responsible. (Am I dreaming?)

Original review: May 14, 2018

Yes the process to borrow went quickly but if you have something come up that your payment won't be "on or before" the due date be prepared to be intimidated or even threatened by a supervisor. I have had to call twice and both times have me afraid to answer the phone if they call.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I just had the best validation of my decision to leave 21st Century Auto insurance. I'm moving, I needed to add insurance and found a better deal on several policies than what I had with this company. I've been with them for over (way over) 10 years. When logging in to my account, I found no way to cancel online, so elected to use "Live Chat." The initial screen said I was #6 in the queue and would wait an estimated 48 seconds for help. I sat for 50 minutes and watched as I moved up to #1 in the queue. Then I was # 2, then #1. After almost an hour, the screen showed "Request canceled. No agents are available."

After this wait, I made a phone call and was abandoned during a transfer. A call to another number got me to a live agent who told me I could cancel the policy, but there would be a $50 charge. I asked for the fee to be waived based on the hour of wasted time online, but he was unable to do so and justified the failure of the online chat by telling me, "It's Monday. We're busy on Mondays." I suggested if this is a true they should get more help on Mondays and asked for a supervisor. Two levels of supervisors later made it clear that the fee wouldn't be waived. My only apparent option is online reviews and word of mouth.

I was treated rudely at every step and was inconvenienced by incompetence and the fact that I was requesting to cancel. Although, I suspect there's no law, contract, or policy violation, companies like this that lack the integrity to honor customers requests to mitigate time wasted due to incompetent management shouldn't be on anyone's list of businesses to spend your money on. If you're considering 21st Century for any service. Think twice. You've been warned.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I have been a customer with 21st Century for over 5 yrs. On March 1st I decided to go with a different company because they could give me a better deal. At 53 yrs old I have switched insurance a number of times. To my surprise, upon canceling my policy, they were extremely snotty and told me they were keeping $50 cancellation fee (Never had that happen before. Every other company I have ever been with, automatically refunds your unused portion of your policy). Not them. They said they were only giving me back $29. Well didn't receive anything and after two weeks I called to ask why? Again I was greeted coldly and I was told they were charging me the $50, and my balance means I owe them $29. I am in shock. $50 doesn't sound like much, but I am a widow on a limited income with a special needs child. Every dollar counts.

And on top of this, to be treated so rudely after all the years I was a loyal customer and gave them my money (I have a pristine driving history) what a slap in the face. They are a greedy nasty company and after reading the many much more underhanded things they have pulled on all of these people, I would warn everyone to stay far away from them. There are much better and nicer companies who actually appreciate your business, think of you as a human being and treat you that way. Don't let this company fool you. They are out for your money and don't care about trampling you when you are no longer their money tree.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

My car got rear ended and automatically had multiple problems, including oil leak, electronic, transmission, tires. 21st Century paid for the damage to the bumper and said other damage didn't come from accident. Who is protecting the consumer in this case. There are numerous complaints about 21st Century. They recently stopped offering their auto insurance in my state and transferred the policies to another Farmers company called Bristol West Insurance... a 1.5 star rated insurance company. I wouldn't use either of these companies and have totally lost respect for Farmers and 21st Century.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

They are on the ball with all aspects of my coverage. I have been a long time customer, and have had 2 accidents, not my fault, which the company handled beginning to end. They were very prompt in addressing all of my personal questions and handling the claim. They paid me top dollar on my vehicle, which was a total loss, and even followed up with me once claim was closed, just to see how I was doing and feeling. How cool is that?!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I was added to my father's existing policy. He was elderly, I had to double check rates to make sure the price was fair... FAIR?? VERY FAIR! I had one fender bender and there was accident forgiveness and one subsequent accident all without a hitch. Filing a claim was done for me by a relative and had quick, pleasant customer service.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I dropped my car keys down a storm drain. Call for roadside assistance while me and my son sat outside of our vehicle for three hours. Three hours. Yes three hours. Not even exaggerating. I eventually gave up on waiting for them and went home then they said that the service provider showed up and I refused the service because I wasn’t there well of course I wasn’t. It was now midnight and I’m not going to wait any longer. I walked home. I still was charged for the service as if I refused it. Why would any insurance company leave a single mom and their child outside for 3 hours at night time waiting for help? Definitely not an insurance company I will be keeping much longer.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

This company is always quick to respond and has always been easy to deal with. Their agents always are helpful and knowledgeable and seem to be there for the customer too. Whether it’s to see if they can help ease the cost of the policy, or to help you through an accident. They even lowered my monthly bill considerably when I told them how little I actually drove my car. The agent asked how many miles I had on the car, and calculated that my insurance should be about $300.00 a year less.

I was also involved in a car crash when another vehicle, ran a red light and smashed into us. Everyone was safe thank God, however, my car was totaled. My insurance company had an agent out the next day. He said he could open a claim, and give us an estimate of what they would pay for the totaled car. I was quoted a fair price, and eventually went with my insurance, instead of the at fault driver’s. The other driver's insurance company wanted to start at a very low price and haggle over the final settlement. I eventually called 21st Century back and said I wanted them to handle the case. I received a check in less than a week.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I spoke with them 6/20/17 after thunders storm shorted out my unit. They sent a company named Chesapeake to view damages. The estimate was $5000 for new unit because of damage. 8/23/17 still no A/C. Chesapeake said they could fix it for $500. Ok. No response from Chesapeake or 21st Century. Can't speak to managers or anyone except Joel ** and he is a smart mouth representative! I have correspondence via email stating costs and claim denied because of surged wires.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

My Insurance premium has doubled and I have all dismissed tickets and one that is a non moving violation and this fraudulent company increased my premium completely disregarding the dismissals and non moving violation. I highly suggest not using 21st Century. I will be seeking counsel tomorrow to sue for illegal and unethical business practice.

21st Century Insurance Company Information