Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Pulte Homes Reviews

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

My fiancé and I saw a new build in West Bloomfield MI. This is an extremely expensive area. There was a recent new build that we found online. The pictures looked amazing. We went to see the house and we noticed that the house didn’t look anything like the pictures quality wise. Even on the quality wasn’t really there, it still looked nice. Walking through the house you can tell that they didn’t use the highest quality of materials. But we really liked the space and we put in an offer that they accepted. My realtor sent us the information and I asked her if we had the seven day grace period to get the inspection done on the house. She reached out to the rep, and he told her that we could not get an inspection done and walk away if we didn’t like the results. Which was really shocking to me, because I’ve gone through this process several times and I’ve never heard that before.

My realtor even called the corporate office and they said that not only can we not get the seven day grace period for the inspection, and hold them accountable for whatever we find, they also said that they don’t match And honor whatever the appraisal ended up being. And that led me to this Consumer Affairs page. I looked at all of these comments and I quickly understood that this was not an anomaly. If you deal with Pulte, you’re going to sign up for a very lengthy years long process of terrible customer service and poor quality. Be careful y’all.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

The hurry up and wait is their favorite game. I don't mind paying whatever amount is required but it is frustrating when they tell you there is no pressure at all but the minute you drop the 21K check they bombard you with Docu Signs due to all their lack of organization. I think we signed about nine of them and only one was because we added all the extras at the Design Center which by the way we insisted be done on day 10 of the 21 days they expect you to complete that task. We asked for one change and they said it was structural and they had already pulled permits however construction didn't start until almost five months later.

They had many excuses for start delay, they said they can't start too many houses at the same time and they said it was because of weather and because there are so many things that happen behind scenes, like ordering material and shortages due to Trump policies and tariffs with China, all when actually it is just one click away to order, it is not like going to Home Depot to order but it is only one click and boom all your materials are ordered in phases of course. In the meantime they had 98K dollars to make all that work.

I have yet to see the quality of the workmanship when all their workers are undocumented from Mexico, they have zero experience in this type of construction but Pulte can care less, all they want is your money and then they sit on their hands for a long time. Pulte mortgage is in cahoots with Pulte builder because it took 57 days for them to approve a small loan that I requested and at first they told us there were no penalties if repaid early, now that the loan has been approved they said that after closing Pulte typically sells the Mortgage and buyer expects to make money on the loan and if repaid soon there are severe penalties. All in all they are a bunch of crooks that charge exorbitant amounts of money using cheap labor with substandard quality. We don't recommend them, just stay away from Pulte and subsidiaries.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

They sucker and pressure you into writing a contract and paying your earnest money then they reveal their cheap finishing. If you are purchasing a new $1.1mm plus built by Pulte Homes in Tennessee, beware and understand that their base finishing are like a starter home, are the cheapest of cheap options and they. Anywhere the 69 cent tile, $20 faucets, $9 light fixtures, etc... They charged us $5k just to upgrade our kitchen cabinet to soft close cabinet doors. I Would NEVER recommend any HOME built by Pulte of Tennessee. Beware. They take your money then upcharge you for the items to get to a $500k home finishing. Stay away and so you don’t get suckered like us.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

My husband and I bought a Pulte Home (previously owned) in 1999. It was still under warranty and they came in a braced a basement wall that looked like it was going to fall. They told us that would resolve everything but since then the garage floor has fallen in so we cannot park a car in the garage. We actually fear falling through the garage floor as we walk in our house! Also, mud and water now flow freely into our finished basement!! We have had to cover the front porch area with an ugly tarp to keep rainwater out! The walls in our house are getting large cracks and the floors are pulling away from door frames! The fix is going to be thousands of dollars! Money that we don’t have especially since my husband just retired from the fire department and I am a social worker!! So, in a nutshellI would recommend you never buy a Pulte Home if you want it to last!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I am very disappointed with how Pulte handled our homes grading of land that resulted in improper drainage and how they did not fully seal our home with brick which resulted in rodents entering our home before and after we moved in. Currently, water accumulates and ponds on the sides of our home for longer than 48 hours. During the hot summer months when excess water should easily drain and dry out the areas around our home has pooling water or is soggy and wet and never dries. For months now the water accumulation has attracted crickets, mosquitoes, & frogs. The water was so bad that our pest control company has even mentioned a concern about the water accumulation attracting rodents & insects when they come out to service our home.

Before our 1 year warranty was over I formally requested that this issue be resolved but Pulte has yet to do anything. All other builders that I've built with would have taken care of this major problem. Not Pulte. Additionally, when we first moved into our home we immediately heard rodent activity above our bed. We initially thought it was activity on the roof. We soon learned that rodents were coming in and out of our home due to bricks that were left out of the build of our home. This hole was discovered by the pest control service that we had to hire AFTER reporting the problem to Pulte. Pulte came out to inspect but found nothing wrong. The pest control company came out and immediately found the root of cause of the problem. They found many holes that weren't sealed.

Do you think Pulte reimbursed us for the capture of the rodents and the PROPER sealing of our home? NO! To say the least I am not a happy Pulte customer. You want to build with a company that will seal your home properly and resolve issues quickly. No company will be perfect but I at least expect you to do what is right by your customers when work is not done correctly and homeowners are having major issues.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pulte?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Do not waste your money buying a home here. Pulte does not provide a quality product. Everyone who bought a pulte home has ongoing complaints. They will stoop to providing the lowest quality product and try to pass it off as quality. Have an expert you trust to inspect your hardwood floors, doors, granite, everything! You will not get your money's worth. I have never experienced such poor quality. This is not the same quality that was provided by John Wieland!! We have been having issues since two weeks after the purchase made with no resolution!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I would rate it at a 1 out of 10. We have had to put so much money into repair and chasing down problems that should not exist. It has been never ending and the home is out of warranty so it has been costly. I have had multiple contractors and insured experts come in to fix problem after problem that should not be there. For more detailed information email me and I will share more details.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

I live in the smart home community built by Pulte. The sales team and contractors were amazing. I was always in the loop and was made to feel so comfortable. After we closed on the home, they have been so poorly responsive and difficult to get in touch with for repairs. I have had 2 major leaks, the cable/internet always goes out, a thermostat was broken and it took forever for the painters to fix a few things not done before closing-I’ve only been living here for 5 months. It has been a disaster. It’s so stressful. I’m sad that all I can do is warn others and say STAY AWAY. They are not the quality builders that Wieland Homes were. I love my home, but I have had so much trouble, I have 2 home warranty companies. I have only been living in the home for 5 months.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

Currently building with Pulte and it has been a nightmare. Should have ran the other way when they lost our $30k earnest check and had to put a stop on it. Miraculously they found it after we cut a new check. We have been blatantly lied to by Katie the Sales Agent and Paul the Construction Manager at Creekside Crossing.

We visited the Westchester model in a Pulte subdivision and fell in love with it, specifically the kitchen. Keep in mind Northpoint subdivision has the Westchester model and Creekside Crossing does not have a physical model. They are about 5 miles from each other. We decided to move forward with a build in Creekside.

After signing the papers I was given a folder with the Westchester model on it. I flipped through the pictures and noticed that the kitchen layout was completely different. I rang up Katie and inquired about the pictures. She reaffirmed that the kitchen design was different than the actual physical Westchester model at Northpoint. We decided to put everything on hold because we were sold on this specific layout. Katie knew this and we worked it out to have the wall where the stove is to be exactly the same as the model with the exception of the stove. We decided to move forward with the process and trusted that Katie got it right when putting everything together. I signed off on the non standard alignment thinking it was what we agreed on.

Here's the catch, the cabinets I signed off on were not what we verbally agreed on. The layout was correct but one of the cabinets was not. If you look at the diagram, you cannot tell that there are drawers instead of a door, only numbers depicting the type of cabinet. No idea what the numbers mean and it was never explained to me. Had I of known I would have had it changed. I only discovered this because I ventured into the house when the cabinets were installed and noticed it was not right. When I inquired with both Katie and Paul they said that's what I signed off on. It's impossible to tell what the cabinet looks like by the diagram. I trusted Katie to get it right and she did not.

Other things.... Paul on numerous occasions stated he wants to get things done as fast as possible because of the weather changing from fall to winter. Went by the house after a storm blew through and several shingles were missing. Apparently he pushed too hard and they did not cure properly and blew off in the storm. Note that I looked at the other homes going up or that were already built and none of them had any damage. Maybe it was shoddy craftsmanship or it not curing properly due to the dropping temps, I'll never know. I inquired and Paul said they would be repaired. I'm not comfortable moving in to a house that had previous roof damage for whatever reason.

On a walkthrough with Paul we inquired about the thermostat because we thought it was really nice. We asked Paul what kind of thermostat we were getting and he said, "Whatever is in the model". I walked though after the drywall was up and noticed the thermostat was completely different. When I inquired with Paul about our discussion he said, "No you get the one that was installed in our home". So once again we were lied to.

Master bath shower installed looked nothing like the picture Katie showed us. She apparently showed us the guest bath insert and not the Master Bath. It looks hideous. I asked Paul about it and he said that he always installs the one they put in. There is also a miscalculation on one of the basement walls when you come down the stairs. The model shows something completely different. After speaking with others who have built the Westchester model they ran into this issue as well. The shining star in all of this was Celeste, the Design Center Consultant. She was great to work with. The list goes on and we have not even moved into the house yet.

Be sure to research the issues people are having or have had with Pulte prior to buying. A lot of complaints out there with roof leaks, shoddy craftsmanship, warranties, etc. Had I of done my homework I would have ran the other way. Time will tell how we fair up. Even contemplating walking away and saving ourselves the headaches down the road.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

We purchased our “luxury” Pulte home in November 2018 and picked out everything from the ground up. We were told that each elevation couldn’t be built within three houses over or across. Here we are a year later and the house caddy corner to us is the exact elevation and the exact color scheme. When I brought Pulte’s mistake to their attention, they agreed they messed up but were not going to do anything about it. I spoke with a sales manager who was more or less useless. Here are some of the highlights from my conversation with the sales manager.

He stated that the rule of three houses across and three houses over is a guideline and not a rule. He also said Pulte is not contractually obligated to follow those guidelines. So, this could mean that the exact house can be build next door. However, I’m sure Pulte is not telling potential buyers this fact especially since their sign at the entrance to the subdivision says “luxury homes”. I wouldn’t consider cookie cutter homes luxury.

The sales manager also stated that this mistake had been made in the past. He had a buyer build the exact elevation and color scheme next door to each other in a different subdivision and those people spent $700K on their home. So since I only spent $560K I have no right to be upset? He told me he had been doing sales for 15 years and he has never come across anyone who cares about elevation as much as I do. He made it sound like I am was overreacting for wanting my subdivision to maintain the high quality that we were sold on when we purchased our home in November 2018.

He did say he did reach out to the buyers and had asked them if they would change their siding color, but he would not demand they make a decision just for me. I never once demanded that of him nor did I bring it up with the sales manager. He did say he would add shutters to the home. That is nice offer, but I’m not sure adding shutters would have make that much of a difference. The sales manager was not professional or helpful. In fact my conversation with him was by far one of the worst customer service experiences I have encountered in a very long time. Buyers do have several options in builders in the area. I would like to recommend not buying a Pulte home.

Pulte Homes Company Information