Pulte Homes
1.13/5

Find a recommended home builder & developer now

Pulte Homes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

144 Pulte Homes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I bought my first Pulte home 15 years ago and it was awesome. The quality was exceptional. I recently bought my second Pulte home and it is turkey regrettable. The quality is horrendous. The gnoses to build with 3/4 inch drywall, now it is 1/2 inch. Paper thin. It has been four months this and I can’t get one thing fixed on this house. They used to use the beat windows on the market. These windows are the cheapest they make. They used to use the best top rated cabinets, now, the worst quality ever. Very very sad that they ruined a good thing. Can’t wait to get rid of this piece of trash.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

We are really upset to see that a construction error Pulte's crew made 10 years ago just got exposed and caused major water leak in our kitchen and basement. It was completely avoidable if the code was followed and inspection was done properly. And clearly it was a construction defect! We are not talking about normal wear and tear problems. The whole family have unknowingly lived in an mold environment for extended period of time till now! And all we got from the local office is to contact reputable contractors and our insurance as the house warranty expired! Is this how Pulte stands for their customers? How is this ANY different than automobile's manufacturing defects that are honored even after manufacture warranty?

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I bought my home three years ago from John Wieland, which is now owned by Pulte. I recently had my routine septic tank maintenance. It is a new septic tank only 3 yrs old. The technicians told me the drain file pipe was never glued and it was about to come apart. Luckily, they caught in time. (I verified this by actually looking myself.) I paid the cost out of my pocket for the pipe to be fixed.

I then went to the warranty dept for Pulte to get this rectified. Pulte answered that because I did not give them a chance to investigate the issue, they would not reimburse me. I told them this was a septic issue, and while I might wait two weeks for a light fixture or a leaky sink. I do not want to take any chance with a septic tank for obvious reasons. They brushed me aside afterwards with an excuse about warranty coverage. My house is only three years old. In the words of Trump, Pulte should be embarrassed and ashamed. It is a terrible company and terrible to the customers!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

In closing on our home many things were left not fixed. We were told to close and Pulte would take care in getting repairs completed immediately. Over 4 months later we still are waiting. What a scam!!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

If you want to overpay for a home with issues front to back this is the place to do it. Purchased a home in Las Soleras in Santa Fe NM. We have had nothing but issues with it since they hastily pushed us into the home. Stucco cracking wall to wall, foundation cracking, roof leaking, mold inside home, windows and doors of the cheapest most leaking, not closing design possible. Electrical issues taped and hid, mold issues attempted the same. My home has a moldy hole in it as we speak in my kitchen. I feel we have been taken advantage of by overpaying for our home and having Pulte use the cheapest labor possible. I have only had one sublet come into my home with a proper sign on their vehicle. And there have been lots of people in my home putting band aides throughout.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pulte?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

When I read the reviews as a national builder there are supposed to be some negative reviews, but it is not about one frustrated homeowner with some issue, but it is the whole operation model of Pulte is flawed. As any builder Pulte employ different trades (companies) to do the work, there is nothing wrong with it. No builder can do all the things by his own, but they take the ownership. But Pulte won't, once you finish closing the house they will take your money and start telling you to deal with the trades directly which is so frustrating, which trade will take it seriously when you didn't employ them to support you for issues. So you can't do anything but find a builder who can take sole responsibility and not tell you to talk to multiple trades for issues.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Our roof leaked the first week we moved in. They said the guy who did our shingles didn’t do it right. All the houses he did have issues with their roof. At that time they did something and we didn’t have heavy rain until now. It's leaking again. Now they are saying we don’t have enough gutters. And since it’s been over a year they won’t fix it. They are saying that our houses can’t handle this type of rain. I didn’t realize the house I built was a playhouse. Roof is just one issue. I could write a book about this builder and their customer service. So if you haven’t closed on a Pulte home... DON’T DO. IT IS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE IN YOUR LIFETIME...

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

If I knew that only the quality of work done by the subcontractors in the model homes was stellar I would not have built a home with them. The painters, carpet layers, tilers, trim crew, drywall crew, landscaping crew and on and on were a disgrace. I have opened a million tickets but am so aggravated at the sheer carelessness of the subs just cranking out these homes.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Pulte Homes deceived all of Vista Bella neighborhood by not disclosing their plans to build a commercial building adjacent to the entrance of our community. They misrepresented us and told the buyer that we approve of plans to build in our neighborhood. This will cause a traffic nightmare and destroy a greenbelt that many houses live near. Instead they will now have a parking lot as their view.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Purchased a "high-end" home less than 18 months ago. Purchase price was in top 1% of their homes in IN. A gift to my family after enduring 2 bouts of cancer and finally reaching cure. We have had over 100 warranty claims including 3 code violations for insulation missing or not meeting state specifications. Each step of the process has been difficult. Poorly trained sales people, inexperienced or poor quality subcontractors, over-extended field supervisors. Fireplace not properly installed/insulated. Spent most of the winter with interior temps ~40 degrees F in family room. Master shower has had to he rebuilt 3 times.

Extremely poor craftsmanship in trim carpentry, dry wall, carpet/flooring. Front door had to be replaced. Not properly installed. Now facing $50k+ in replacing windows. They installed the lowest quality builder grade windows. We have been told our "expectations are too high" by one of the local leadership team members. There are almost 6000 finished sq feet of home. It was built in less than 4 months. Complete disappointment.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

We moved into our Pulte townhome about 5 months ago. We have had many warranty claim issues including clogged water line from washer which caused a flood, broken pantry closet door, glue on kitchen countertop, scratched floors, squeaky floors, and a front door lock that was not keyed correctly among other things. Most of these issues have been taken care of. The one that makes me the most angry is the gutter system on the home. It overflows when it rains and Pulte will not do anything about it. Their answer was that this was the design and that was that. No correction would be made. I argued that this was an issue that a homeowner could not know about until we lived there awhile. The response was the same. If you consider buying any type of Pulte built dwelling, have a thorough inspection. Also if you are building the home, watch them closely from ground up!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

We own a 22-month old Pinnacle w/Loft in Sarasota. Two months ago the Loft mechanical room had mold in the ceiling and condensation from the duct. Also, it smelled of mildew. We did not contact Pulte because of other unresolved quality issues including defective driveway pavers and scratched impact glass. What we found is a mold infested Loft HVAC unit and improperly installed ductwork which led to moisture and humidity. When Pulte was notified, their legal reply stated mold is not warrantied. In addition, they stated since an outside contractor was used to review the improperly installed work (meaning we were to bring back the company that somehow passed shoddy work through Pulte inspection), the HVAC unit warranty became invalid.

At our expense, we have replaced the mold/rusty 22-month old HVAC unit and sealed/repaired all duct work. Furthermore, Pulte engineers decided a Florida home does not need a dehumidifier. We installed a dehumidifier which is needed in high humidity environments. Altogether, we have spent thousands of dollars to repair/replace cheap, shoddy workmanship, equipment and design. Pulte's go-to is to cite a lengthy contract and position themselves with legalize. Pulte is a shameless company not interested in doing what is right.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Per our conversation on August 24, 2018, about the wiring in my new home, you stated, “Pulte would take full responsibility for any mistakes made.” In addition, you committed to investigating point by point the steps are taken, pursuant to my contract, regarding no offer for low voltage service, etc. After speaking with several other homeowners, who started their building process during the same period as I did, I realized that I had not been provided the same service opportunity given them to address major concerns with Phoenix, a contracted consulting service. During the select option building phase, Kallia offered me only the wiring option for a speaker and intercom system. She never advised me to meet with a professional company, like Phoenix, to discuss wiring issues during the appropriate building phase.

I have been patiently waiting for almost a month to have this urgent problem addressed. My realtor and I reviewed my contract and addendums, and request through this mean, an explanation for the lack of reference and consultation with Phoenix. As background information, the Pulte Group built my home on **. I was involved in the process from its groundbreaking to the closing on August 09, 2018. I made on-site trips and many phone calls to keep abreast of the construction. On August 24, 2018, AT&T personnel informed me that they could not provide cable service to my home because the media center plus cable outlet in the master bedroom for which I paid three hundred and forty dollars ($340) serves no purpose.

The cable line installed by Pulte is outdated and no longer used by AT&T, which uses CAT 5/6 cable and/or coaxial cables to connect the latest equipment/devices. Additionally, the other cable companies do not use the outdate-installed cable either. Therefore, the outdated/obsolete cable installed throughout my dwelling, gathering room and master bedroom are of no use and therefore a waste. Attached is a copy of my contract and work order option with highlighted areas pertaining to this matter. To reiterate, at no time during my building process was I made aware of any opportunity to consult with Phoenix services which Pulte contracted for consultation with new homeowners during construction.

I was never given an opportunity to discuss with Phoenix guidance regarding an alarm system installation, home theater surround system, surveillance cameras, and/or network infrastructure. I missed a major opportunity in the building process due to the Pulte Group’s lack of information, guidance, and due diligence. The only solution to this problem is for Pulte to do what’s right and provide immediate and adequate assistance to resolve the wiring situation by rewiring my house with appropriate, up-to-date wiring materials. This lack of appropriate wiring is a pressing matter. To date, I cannot have installed any cable service. I look forward to your expeditious handling of this matter. Thank you for your cooperation.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Recently bought a four year old Pulte home in Fort Worth, TX. In just over a month, have plumbing problems and currently have no air conditioning. Found out from neighbors they install such low grade parts, that they fail almost immediately. The entire neighborhood has failing air conditioners...costs of $2K to fix. Stay away from this predatory company. Lawsuits are pending against them from just this neighborhood.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I bought a new home built by Pulte 4 years ago, and I made yearly inspect and found out that's an exterior caulking joint separation on the upper siding near the roof. First year, garage surface concrete was cracked and porch in my backyard was cracked but Pulte told us that cracks weren't big enough for them to repair. However, exterior caulking joint separation is a concerned. I'm not recommending this builder. Please avoid.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

We purchased a townhome from Pulte that was built in 2002, we love our home however found that because of the "shoddy" building and incorrect installation of flashing that there was a leak, for almost the entire time which caused us to have to have the brick veneer removed, the wall taken down to the studs and a new support beam installed because the other one was rotten due to the leak. We also had to have our flashing redone correctly. I contacted Pulte to see if they would assist with the cost and I was told they would not since it was no longer under warranty. Don't you think you would want to assist someone so that you could at least feel better about your company and what they produce. I will never purchase from Pulte again! I would not give them 1 star if it would have allowed me to.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Excellent construction/field manager. From start to finish, he was responsive, helpful and made the process enjoyable. Sales agent was helpful at times as well but we feel that she could have been a better communicator. We were told by her that we would receive weekly construction updates but that was not the case. Pulte in general: We have felt from the very beginning that Pulte has viewed us as dollar signs and not as individuals. We recognize your intention is to build homes quickly and make money. However throughout the process, future homeowners should be considered.

Immediately after signing the contract and paying our deposit, we felt we became enslaved to "Pulte policies and procedures." Having 30 days to complete a multitude of tasks all between the inconvenient hours of 8 to 5 Monday through Friday for working professionals as well as traveling over an hour to complete these takes some of the enjoyment out of building a custom home.

Pulte Mortgage: We felt an extraordinary amount of pressure to use Pulte mortgage which ultimately led us to us another lender. We were badgered and would describe Pulte mortgage as being no better than telemarketers and debt collectors. Pulte Insurance: See above in mortgage section. PGP Title: Our closing agent did a nice job in a tough situation however as we discussed in the questionnaire, it is completely unacceptable to be notified via email 4 hours ahead of closing with a change of date and time. We walked out of the closing with no joy or excitement to finally own our brand new home. The process completely deflated that experience. We are still waiting for an apology from Pulte as a company for taking away that joy.

Overall, we are very pleased with our Pulte home structurally, architecturally and as of now, value of our home. It would be difficult in the future if we build another home, to solely look at Pulte. With our dissatisfaction with Pulte as a company we thoroughly enjoyed the personal relationships we built with Field manager and Sales rep. We respect them greatly and would work with them again in the future.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

When we pulled tile in the bathroom to replace it, we found, shingles... versus green board. It should have been a warning. When we replaced the leaking roof, we found that the rafters did not go to the end of overhang, instead, they ended a foot before the end of the roof and a one hand a half foot of board were literally tacked to the ends with one small nail. No studs under paper exterior siding, instead they glued the boards. No tar or moisture barrier behind the exterior paper siding. To make matters worse, the wiring is reversed in some of the rooms, no insulation in the attic. the question is how did these homes pass inspection??? Who got paid and how is Pulte in business still???

Original review: July 22, 2018

We recently purchased a Pulte home and the quality does not match the price tag. They use vendors who provide poor quality work, then promise the homeowner the issues will be addressed, but do not fulfill the promises. I feel a class action lawsuit should be brought against Pulte Homes.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I contracted for a new home in the Berkshire Forest development in Myrtle Beach SC. The home is currently under construction. I had a bedroom/bathroom conversion done in a flex room. When the plumbing was installed, I noticed the bathtub plumbing shares a common wall with the kitchen. I brought it to the attention of the Construction Supervisor and Construction Manager. If a leak should develop in the plumbing to the tub or if I would want to change the tub faucet, the only access is through the kitchen. I will have to hire someone to remove the kitchen cabinets and granite counter top in order to access the plumbing. This will not only cause disruption to my kitchen, it is an unnecessary expense.

The Construction Manager said the house was according to plan. I was supposed to notice a little circle on the floor plan that showed where the plumbing would be. I would expect a builder to know how to handle access to plumbing. Pulte does not really care about the consumer once they have a signature and money. I was told I should have no problem with leaks. I hope a leak occurs during their warranty period. KARMA would be awesome. Beware when purchasing a Pulte home.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Almost every home that Pulte built in our subdivision has had roof leaks. None of the homes are over 14 years old and yet the most of the roofs have had some type of leak. Evaluation by a number of local roofing contractors has uncovered substandard materials and extremely poor installation practices. I will never recommend a Pulte house to anyone. Besides the roofing issues there are doors that are not plumb, cabinets with installation damage, framing that is non-standard and a host of other issues. STAY AWAY.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Sexual harassment - The salesman I had was very inappropriate with his actions and words and when I reached out to someone at a higher level to make them aware, not only did I not get a call back, I was actually blocked as well... they obviously don’t care how their customers are treated and evidently don’t care to try to solve an issue or even look into it, they just ignore it and go on... would NOT recommend dealing with this company at all!!!

Original review: May 25, 2018

Buying a Divosta Builders/Pulte Home in Sarasota Florida - They took $5,000 from me as deposit to purchase a lot. I canceled 2 days later as the pricing for options was exorbitant to say the least. They won't give the money back. I did sign a contract. However, due to their mistake in scheduling a meeting, I incurred expenses to cancel a flight and extend my rental car. They won't reimburse me for this which is absolutely their mistake. This is unacceptable.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I decided to purchase and build a home from the ground up with Pulte since it offered the floor plan that I wanted (Dunlay plan) based from the pictures on their website. Everything seems to go well with the initial construction phase with foundation and framing since I hired an inspector, but after that the issues started. First, I had to change my kitchen cabinetry because the kitchen mandated a window, which I was unaware of. The seller told us that the window were the ones that are installed underneath the cabinets, well that was not the case and we ended up changing the kitchen configuration because of that window. Apparently the pictures posted on the website are from a similar floorplan.

After we decided to go with this, I started noticing a lot of sloppiness related with fit and finishes, although they fix most of these it was apparent that they were rushing to finish the house and it was showing all over the place. Issues related with floorboards not aligning with the edge of the tile, doors frames not align with the interior doors, uneven gaps between the kitchen granite countertops and cabinet frame and from the exterior, gaps that were supposed to be filled with brick concrete material were filled with white plaster. Also the bricks on the side of the house did not align with the limestone from the foundation. After further investigation apparently the foundation was not align with the frame of the house. I can go on and on and I think pics can provide a better representation of the issues.

Pulte also forced us to close that following week without providing us an opportunity for a final inspection and walkthrough at least a week prior. Apparently they wanted to close really quickly. The house I was about to close is located at Davis Ranch in San Antonio. Do yourself a favor look elsewhere, apparently since Pulte bought Centex they used the cheapest of the cheapest when it comes to materials. Other builder offers more for the money (ie. window blinds, 3D shingles, fans, nice granite etc...) If you need more info I can facilitate pictures and provide further information.

Original review: May 8, 2018

The sub-contractors that Pulte uses are the worst of the worst. Frames are ok on the outside walls and crap on the interior walls. Pulte rep said walls that were not level would be replaced prior to sheetrock, they never were. Sheetrockers are super fast and careless. Many wires were covered up and Pulte would not take responsibility to correct the issue. Vents not hooked up, insufficient insulation, wrong appliances, etc, etc. Pulte rep never oversaw anything being done during construction. Independent inspector found many, many issues. Some items were not performed in accordance with local minimum codes.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Pulte negotiated a second “Home Purchase Agreement” dated March 14, 2018. That second contract carried over the $5,000.00 earnest money deposit from the first contract and called for an additional earnest money deposit of $10,000.00, which the ** paid as well. However, before paying the additional earnest money, the **, who were not represented by an agent, insisted that the contract include a financing contingency allowing for the return of the earnest money, including their $5,000.00 earnest money deposit. Pulte agreed, and on March 21, 2018, the parties executed what amounts to an addendum to the contract.

Up until that time, the ** had worked with Pulte’s preferred lender, Pulte Mortgage, to finance the purchase of their home. In that regard, Pulte Mortgage had approved financing for the ** with an interest rate at 3.5% in connection with the original contract. Although that approval expired due to the delay caused by the botched back-yard issue, Pulte Mortgage assured the ** that financing would be available upon the same or substantially identical terms. However, the day before closing, Pulte Mortgage informed the ** that it could only provide financing with an applicable 5.5% interest rate. The ** informed Pulte that they couldn’t afford to finance on those terms, and asked (indeed begged) for an opportunity to find alternative financing. Pulte refused. With closing imminent, the ** had no choice but to exercise their rights under the financing contingency and canceled the contract.

The ** appreciate that Pulte returned the additional $10,000.00 earnest money deposit that Pulte insisted they pay. However, they believe that Pulte must also return their initial $5,000.00 earnest money deposit. Although the Financing Addendum does indicate an “earnest money deposit amount of $10,000.00,” the circumstances leading up to and surrounding the negotiation of the second contract, and fact that the contract expressly incorporates the initial $5,000.00 earnest money deposit (in the “Terms and Conditions” provisions in the second Change Order), renders the Financing Addendum ambiguous. The ** will certainly testify that it was their intent that the Financing Addendum would apply to all earnest money deposits that they had paid. Considering the profound disparity in bargaining power and sophistication between the parties, it is reasonable to assume that this and any other ambiguity will be construed against Pulte.

The ** will also testify that their entire experience with Pulte was, to put it kindly, unfortunate. The ** are likable and engaging, and any fact-finder will undoubtedly find them to be good and sympathetic witnesses. In light of the foregoing, it is likely that the ** will prevail should this matter escalate to litigation. They would prefer to avoid that fate; however, they are fully prepared to aggressively pursue their rights should that prove necessary.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I purchased a Pulte home in Sept 2015. Over the first year I noticed cracked tile. As part of the home warranty they did repair the tiles with tiles I had saved from the closing on my house. Now, 2 years later I have additionally cracked tiles. I ordered over $500 of tile to make the repairs and lay additional tiles. Come to find out the tile they originally laid was not the 12 inch tile I ordered. Apparently their manufacturer was making 11.5 inch tile which is not a tile size. So now I cannot only not repair any tile but I can't lay additional tile because of this size discrepancy. I was told it's not their problem because it was their vendor's issue. Hmmm really, well they hired them thus are responsible. Do not buy Pulte for this and many other reasons.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Separations in the joints of the hardwood finishes noted within 12 to 18 months of purchasing our home in Cary, North Carolina. Putty patching material was placed into some of the separations and the separations have continued to widen. The separations extended through the living room, foyer, and dining room. Separations were also noted extending through the kitchen, family room, and the bedroom. The floor surface was checked with 48-inch bubble level. Separations ranges from 1/8 to 5/17 inch.

The garage slab has tooled shrinkage control joints extending from left to right and from front to rear intersecting in the middle portion of the slab. Cracks were also observed in the exterior of the residence. Per the evaluation of a hired Geotechnical Consultant by Pulte, the amount of concrete shrinkage maybe due to concrete slump or consistency at time of placement, curing methods, temperature and humidity at time of placement and during curing, finishing methods, and mix proportions. These are all related to Pulte's quality of workmanship. However, according to PULTE RDU Warranty representative, "Based on my observations and the conclusions from the engineer report the gaps in the hardwoods are not covered under the warranty. The concrete slab under the hardwoods has shrunk / cracked and this has caused the hardwoods to separate."

I am beyond disappointed with Pulte's workmanship. Please don't be deceived by how good Pulte is with staging their homes and how good they are with marketing their homes. Truthfully, they are not really building good quality homes. Now, we are very anxious about other potential problems we will have to uncover as we live in outhouse. Pulte really disappointed me big time!!!

Original review: April 11, 2018

AVOID BY ALL MEANS! Salespeople, especially Lamonica from Parmer Crossing are liars. Build quality is the worst and we see cracks in the walls over 3 months living in the house. I highly recommend avoiding PULTE. If you could, go with a different builder like David Weekley or Lennar.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I purchased the house in 2005 in Falcon, Colorado. I was getting ready to retire from the Army cause I got hurt in Iraq. After owning the house about four years, came home one very cold night to find water and ice coming out the front of the house. A pipe in the bathroom burst. The water went through all three levels of the house. Ruin a lot of personal property that can’t be replaced. Pulte had built the house where there was opening from the outside to the bathroom which exposed a water pipe to the weather. When I had it repaired, and they opened the bathroom wall, you could see clear to the outside. I couldn’t believe it. I called Pulte in Colorado several times to come and repair it and never heard back from them. Then around year 8-9 owning the house I had air conditioners installed. Then a few days after they were installed, the walls and the living room flooded.

I had a repair guy come out and he said there was a pipe missing for the water to drain. He showed it to me and in the walls sure enough an entire pipe was missing. I called all the way to the Pulte National HQs and they refused to fix it. They said it was after the warranty. I explained this should have been done when the house was built. I told him if Pulte didn’t come and fix it I would sue and the man said, "So sue us." And hung up. I went ahead and paid for it. I haven’t pursued legal course of action as I have had one surgery after another.

I’ve been in very poor health and just didn’t have the energy to do it. My health has finally improved some and if I continue to get better I am going to hire a lawyer. I waited 26 years to own a home of my own. I made a lot of sacrifices in my life serving to get to the point where I could own a nice home. I am disappointed that Nationally known builder would treat customers like I was treated and stand behind the product they built.

Pulte Homes Company Information