Pulte Homes

Pulte Homes

1.2/5 (39 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Pulte Homes

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Pulte Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pulte Homes?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pulte?

Original review: June 24, 2022

Not only do they build the ugliest homes but also don't care about any landscaping. The builders came in and ripped OUT ALL trees. Most all of the neighborhood backs up to trees but when they came in. Ripped them all out and put up cracker box houses that all look alike. Ruins the whole neighborhood. DO NOT TRUST THEM!!!!

Original review: June 20, 2022

We purchased our home in 2021 and the refrigerator we upgraded to was on backorder. They gave us a standard fridge until ours came in. We are still waiting. We call each week and get a run around. They say it is Whirlpool but I can walk in Best Buy and order the same refrigerator and get it in 3 months. This is very disappointing especially for the price we paid for our dream home.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 19, 2022

We just bought one of these townhomes (150 Whispering LN NW, specifically). We immediately noticed several issues with the home and reported it to Pulte. Pulte has told us they will not fix any of the issues below:

1. The banisters on the balcony were not bolted to the walls, they were only bolted to the floor. This is a major safety hazard in our opinion. Several of my neighbors have reported this safety issue as well.

2. They do not use primer to paint their interiors and my neighbor suspects the white paint is watered down. Any small brush against the wall (even if you nudge it with your shoulder) leads to the white paint coming off in streaks revealing a dark gray coat underneath, which is likely the color of the sheet rock/dry wall. This would not happen if you used a coat of primer.

3. The two bathrooms' GFI's are wired together so when you trip one with the hair dryer all the outlets are tripped in both bathrooms. I am not an electrician but even my 100 year old home in Rochester had separate lines and breakers for the bathrooms.

4. The rooms have individual thermostats and no centralized thermostat, there is no way to connect a Nest or EcoBee if you are energy conscious.

5. Some of the outlets were faulty, I counted 3.

We talked to the Pulte foreman and onsite managers, all of whom told us that they will not fix these issues, even the banister safety issue; despite being 2 months into the 1 year warranty on the brand new townhouse. We had to pay for all the repairs ourselves. For anyone interested in these homes, we advise you to find a very thorough inspector (ours was obviously not) and go through the home with a fine comb because Pulte will not repair anything after you have paid for it.

A few of our my neighbors have discussed these issues and we agree that it is likely the result of cost cutting and cutting corners. In our combined experiences we have not seen new homes this poorly constructed, or dealt with a more irresponsible construction group. We suspect Pulte is trying to sell these homes fast before the mortgage interest rates skyrocket. I was told they have been denying requests to repair these issues because they have run out of their repair budget already on the first few townhouses they sold.

Original review: June 8, 2022

First note their website ask you to be patient due to COVID-19. We have a 92yr old mom so we took our time requesting repairs and now we are being told we are OUT of warranty. We dealt with a global pandemic their website ask us the consumer to be patient. They are aware the repairs were NEVER made yet they are quick to state CAN'T HELP. I would buy Lennar or DR Horton before I dealt with this firm. Our upgrades are far overpriced and just some simple stuff can't be repaired.... GET ANY WORK DONE BEFORE YOU CLOSE ESCROW. IT'S NOT WORTH THE HEADACHE

Original review: May 27, 2022

Lesson learned, if the Builder asks for $10,000 in earnest money you should be skeptical. My wife and I thought that earnest money amount was high because of the demand in the Del Webb community. What we found during the construction process was a lack of oversight by the construction manager and the on-site team of construction foreman. Subcontractors are not supervised. One subcontractor comes in and damages of the work of another subcontractor who just completed their job.. Once you have given them your money there is no refund when you see the extremely poor quality during the construction process. Beware if you are purchasing an inventory home. Make sure your sales representative gives you a detailed report of exactly what is being purchased. We received a detailed report that was in Pulte code, this document was very difficult to decipher. The end result is although a detailed report coded was provided by sales.

The report says or mentioned a lot of upgrades next to the code, the actual Final delivery was poorly made fixtures and cabinets which were poorly designed.. Make sure sales gives you a detailed report in plain English of what you’re purchasing and shows you what you’re actually purchasing. Every day was be like Christmas. As the home was built we got to see what they called an upgrade was actually cheap substandard products. We are still dealing with property that was not graded or leveled for drainage. The sides of our home as well as the backyard is a swamp land that grows mold. I’ve never seen a water meter box fill up with water when there is no leak from the actual water meter, my neighbors just run their sprinkler system.

After you close on your home you can just about forget that there was a punch list because construction is unresponsive and uncooperative with unreasonable resolutions. They know once they’ve got that $10,000 that you are not gonna to break your earnest money contract when you see their poor construction and workmanship. Once you’ve closed now you’re behind the eight ball. I don’t recommend Pulte, But I’m certain that’s obvious by this review. Since closing we have found there is a huge drainage problem in our backyard is a swamp. Pulte does not Vet its contractors. As far as I can tell the company they are using to make the repairs does not even have a license or insurance.

Original review: May 20, 2022

Purchased new build 4/29/22. We noticed during construction lots of water around and in the foundation. We received verbal assurances that the issue was only temporary and wouldn't be an issue after construction was completed. Since we moved in our two sump pumps have been running nearly non stop. Found out later the builders knew about the water issue but continued to assure us there would be no problem. Contacted Pulte customer service and told us it was not their problem. We would never had purchased from Pulte if they would have just been honest with us.

Original review: May 14, 2022

Insane drywall cracking. Paint Cracking. Significant material separation. Pulte states it’s totally normal and a part of homeowner maintenance. Wild. Pulte refuses to take ownership. Claims it’s to be expected.

Original review: April 27, 2022

We built our home between April-Dec 2021. In the sales/contract phase, we were required to give Pulte Finance our information even though we walked in the door letting them know we already had our own bank and financing. The sales rep assured us it was a 'check box' to get the permits and nothing more would come of it. Our credit was pulled the next day, dinging our credit report. We got a flimsy apology. For the construction phase: this was a difficult year for supplies, labor and timelines, so we gave a fair amount of flexibility in that portion of the build. That said, we had to really scour our Contract and change orders constantly and ask any question not thoroughly spelled out. For instance, the option of adding a third garage did not automatically mean we got a garage door opener. We had to ask about it to find out it wasn't included.

Our 'Celebration Day', which is supposed to be the day you walk through your finished house was not a finished house walk through. They were still finishing the house then and well into the week after we took possession - shutters, corbels, paint and patch, carpet tack downs, etc. We are still waiting on a replacement cabinet that they have ordered and delivered an incorrect part for three times. A BIG issue is the landscaping, which we didn't get installed until 18 weeks later. We knew of the seasonal delay but did NOT know we would have zero input into the landscaping on our property. They offer 'packages' with no options or input from the homeowner. All discretion is left to whatever third party landscaper they choose and the plants they want to give you.

I had to fight and get the boss of my field manager involved to remove the plants that were toxic to my dog and ones I was highly allergic to. They removed them, gave them back to the landscaper, offered no additional remedy or refund though we had spent many thousands on this landscaping. They also were false about what our village and HOA required, which we discovered by contacting those parties on our own.

You will also find that getting any warranty work is extremely difficult. At this point, we have already been through 2 warranty managers and the current one doesn't even know how to interpret warranty details. She has threatened to mark us void of our warranty twice, which we resolved through her management. They apologized for her lack of knowledge. Overall, this is not a bad home in quality of the build. You just have to ask everything in great detail and push them very hard for any communication. Remember, this is YOUR home and just their JOB. Know what is important to you and push for it. Also, retain your own legal counsel as a stand-by and to monitor the process on your behalf.

Original review: March 29, 2022

It has been 2.5 years since my house was built with Pulte. It started with the wrong basement floor plan being poured. They refused to fix it, after many complaints we finally received a small reimbursement for lost square footage. This cause the house to be behind schedule. There were many open items when I closed that I was told would be fixed. Due to a great warranty person, she is no longer there, a lot of it was fixed. The drywall was finished terribly, they tried to fix it at the one year warranty but the made it worse and I now I have spots all over my house. I was yelled at for moving tape as they would not fix something that wasn't originally called out, even though it was obviously bad drywall and I did not add or move the tape (to mark the bad spots). I have had to go back and sand many spots that were just painted over.

I am a single woman and almost every contractor including the warranty person has made comments about how women cannot fix/install/work on a house. 2 years after moving in my hardwood floors are coming apart in multiple areas. I attribute this to poor installation. There is a long crack in my foundation but it is not big enough to fix. Yet, with the flooring issue and my cabinets have come off the wall, I feel maybe this crack is the root cause. Pulte is refusing to do anything.

One of the shower pans has had a crack in it since I moved in. This apparently got lost as so many larger issues had to be resolved, replaced damaged furnace, hood stove, stairs, long list. At 1 year warranty they said they would fix it, still not fixed. When I reached back out to warranty they are now saying the homeowner damaged it and refusing to have it fixed. It is disappointing to build a large home with a company and get this kind of treatment. I do not recommend building a house with Pulte and I will never again.

Original review: March 17, 2022

Pulte is worst company to deal with post purchase. We bought a new home and had 1 year warranty. They took forever to acknowledge issues and did worst job in fixing them. On one occasion their staff member visited our house to inspect flooring issue, we asked him to wear mask as we had a new born at that time in house during covid outbreak, the staff person became really grumpy and did such a ** job. Their staff came to fix the paint issue and did a wrong paint on our wall, we asked them to fix it the staff member said contract says we will do fix only in 1 visit and there is no guarantee for paint to match. My wall is left with patches. Hate this company, no one should buy from them. Hope they get sued big time

Pulte Homes Company Information