2. Homeowners

Pulte Homes

Pulte Homes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.17/5

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Pulte Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pulte Homes?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pulte?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

I did not read the reviews here before we started dealing with Pulte and lucky we did not buy a home from them. We were looking to buy into the Briargate 55+ committee. We went to our appointment on January 20th 2021 which did go well but we had done our homework on what we wanted. Kae was very nice. She told us she would put us on a list and we would be called on Friday after 3pm January 22, 2021 and we would go from there.

Well then we got home that day. Things change. We were then told we had to go up to the property and sign up on the list then after we did we could not leave till they called us, and that we should arrive as early as possible. We would have to stay in our vehicle. There were no bathroom facilities for us to use and we would of had to stay in our car for hours in the freezing cold. It's 19 degrees out today, this is not how you treat people. So if you want to be treated like you are worthless and they tell you what to do like you worked for them then this is you builder. I believe They forgot that you are the one with the money not them.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

We purchased a beautiful Pulte home in the Cuneo area of Vernon Hills. The home was ready when promised and is beautiful. We still love the home. Overall, the workmanship appears to be fine. Some areas of frustration include the following:

1. Tile work in the master shower is subpar. The tiles do not line up and some tiles stick out further than other tiles.

2. Several doors do no close including the front door and garage door. We are unable to use the front door as it must be locked or it will blow open. We have contacted Pulte to fix these problems (over 2 months ago). Pulte advised us that due to Covid, they are not going to repair the defects. Meanwhile, my brother drove past the home while we were on vacation and noticed our front door was wide open.

3. NEW BIG PROBLEM - We paid to have the basement plumbed for a bathroom. The Contractor today opened the black box for the drain and realized that Pulte had poured concrete into the drain. The bathroom drain was covered by a black box. We have reached out to Pulte to fix this defect, today.

4. I presume this is to be expected, but there are two long cracks in the ceiling and one in a wall. We just followed the required steps for these cracks to be corrected.

I am concerned Pulte will give us an excuse as to fixing the cracks or removing the concrete from the drain in the basement. If possible, I will update this review to let you know if they fix the defects or give us an excuse. It appears as if Covid only affects their workers when they need to fix defects on sold homes but not building new homes.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

We contracted with Pulte in August of 2019. We lived in another state. Commitment date to finish construction was not honored. The quality was substandard at best. Walls were not straight, doors do not close properly, house was extremely dirty day of closing, grout was not color ordered would not correct, finish on walls was substandard, holes around all switch plates, holes in grout, missing grout, paint was missing in several places, roof had two entries that they would not fix, holes in concrete on patio, caulking was cracked or simply missing, shower doors were not installed properly, medicine cabinet was installed improperly, caulking around windows and doors was missing.

I had 33 items I reported on survey that needed attention after closing. Very few were addressed, when painter came in to do touch ups, he dripped paint and never cleaned it. I was told I could clean it. Electrical problem, power to refrigerator kept going off. Landscaping was put in over debris, when asked to clear debris 1st, was told "not my job", also wiring was installed alongside water lines for sprinkler system. Found contract employee asleep in house, prior to closing. We were told we would close Feb 17, house was a month away from so called completion and closing. Horrible new home experience. I would never recommend Pulte to anyone. We had asked for our money back and was totally ignored.

Total lack of communication between powers that be, salesforce, field managers, contractors and buyers. We were told we would get updates every two weeks, we received one in 6 months. We were never told of theft that happened, delaying installation of cabinets, nor of the destruction of property (broken windows). Contractors and their employees were for the most part unskilled, most do not speak English. Our field manager told us the company used the "cheapest paint" and builder grade roofing. Exterior walls were 16" centers, all interior were 24". Sales representative only contacted us when money was due, we had to contact him if we wanted information. We were told people wanted to live in Sun City so badly they were willing to accept substandard product. Lack of pride up and down chain of command on the quality of end product.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

We were told that Pulte is not a "custom" builder and any changes that we wanted would be considered custom. This is for a development in Quail Hollow in Concord, OH. So, In essence they want you to spend almost $400,000 but you can't build the home you want!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

I strongly suggest avoiding Pulte at all costs. We attempted to purchase a home from Pulte despite what we had read in other reviews due to cost and location. Every single thing is extra to an alarming amount. You will have a much better time with a higher quality builder that includes most things at similar price points. We put a deposit on a home and signed papers with Pulte including laying out our design choices ($85k in upgrades and that wasn't anything crazy nice). The next day the Pulte representative called us claiming the price was now more expensive. When I pressed on this they said their system had not updated when we signed paperwork and that they raise prices every 5 sales. Instead of honoring the agreed-upon price they were attempting to extort us for an additional $3k and wouldn't budge at all.

After being unable to get anywhere with the representative or her manager we immediately backed out and moved on to a better builder. We are attempting to recover our deposit now which Pulte seems willing to do but they honestly don't have a choice since they have voided our agreement. We moved on to a better builder that includes 90%+ of the upgrades we had selected by default which puts us at a similar price point for a much much nicer home. In other words, don't be swayed by their low prices unless you want to buy a base level home with nothing nice.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

Drywall is starting to bow 4 weeks after closing on our newly constructed Pulte Home. Using a stud finder, I found that none of the studs were evenly placed and some didn’t even reach the floor. It was a nightmare installing shelves. I just tried to hang shelves in the garage and found that none of the joists were evenly spaced per code either. I’m not sure how an inspector would have approved it. I now have to crawl into the attic and nail additional 2” x 4”s to the joists to hold my shelves. Nightmare. Shabby construction. When I called the Pulte construction manager, he directed me to the warranty company.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

Absolutely disgusted with how they treat Veterans like me. Will not fix items they said they would. Will not respond, lied to us and are currently putting our home and family at risk with safety related items that need repair. It’s been 6 months. DO NOT BUY! Trust me, you will regret it.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I built a townhome with Pulte two years ago. I was not happy with the builders I worked with during the construction as I felt they were always rude and rushed and trying to more on to the next project. There were lots of sloppy paint and finishing issues that I noticed after the townhome was done and after a year I started having bad leaking in my second floor master bathroom that was moving down the side of the wall and into my main floor window. I have been emailing and calling Pulte for over a year and they have still not fixed any of my leaking. Someone came to look at it once for 15 minutes and said they would put a work order in to have it fixed and then I heard nothing for 2 months again. Now the leaking is getting worse and moved into the master bed room. I'm still chasing on this unresolved issue. I would not build with Pulte again nor would I recommend them to anyone else.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

Absolutely terrible. After spending 1 night in my house we had our first, but not last, major water issue. I haven't even slept in my house for weeks because of the 2nd major water incident in which they knowingly installed a broken dishwasher which leaked and leaked into my kitchen island causing mold. This was all in the first 6 weeks of owning this brand new house. I have major regrets working with Pulte and wish I had just bought an older house or gone with Taylor Morrison. This experience has been devastating to my wife recovering from surgery, my 3 very young children as well my my dogs, 1 of which is 15 years old in diapers and in his last legs. I work from home so I am unable to to my job or make a living as I work on commission. They have honestly cost me a lot money and personal suffering.

Pulte Homes is an awful company and I will be sure to let anyone who wants to know what they can expect when you work with a company like Pulte. Worst of all? There's nothing I can do about it because Pulte is a big company and I am just 1 person. But hey those guys made a few bucks off of us right? All in the name of profits. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I did this to a family but something tells me nobody at Pulte has lost any sleep over us. I know I can't do much I suppose but I will share my experience with as many people as I can so they can avoid making the same mistake we made in building with Pulte.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

We bought our home not even two years ago as a new build. We have huge cracks in our wall and they just seem to refuse fixing. I would not recommend this builder. They are built too quick with little care of how these homes will hold up to standard. They also decided to put 2 bathrooms on the same circuit. My daughter and I can’t even dry our hair at the same time.

Pulte Homes Company Information