Pulte Homes

Pulte Homes

1.2/5 (43 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Pulte Homes

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Pulte Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pulte Homes?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pulte?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

We are currently building a home with Pulte. The home has failed all 3 rough inspections. Major design changes by them without any consideration to us the buyer. You would get better customer service buying a $20 shirt at JC Penney over buying a $430,000 house from Pulte. Pulte, Overpromises and Underdelivers. Save yourself the hassle. Pulte uses a vendor for contractors that are not dependable. Pulte let the rain pour down on our framing for weeks without a roof or sheathing causing mold and now we are fighting for remediation. Use a custom builder. You will have a lot more control, dependability and transparency. We haven't had supply issues, we have had integrity and dependability issue. Learn from our misfortune.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

We purchased our home in May of 2021 and moved in August 2021. The builder Mike was amazing as was the realtor for Pulte. Beyond that everyone we have dealt with has been a disaster. We have had so many issues since moving in, and even more issue getting Pulte to get the issues fixed. Many of the boards under the cabinets were not nailed down, drywall looks as though it was done by a child! There are so many drywall issues, knicks, uneven walls, and paint just dripping down the walls. The kitchen sink is not mounted correctly. Instead of clipping the sink in they mounted it to the side of our cupboards and two general contractors have come in our home and said this sink will fall. The granite for the sink was not cut properly therefore this is how they had to mount my sink.

The garage door has one spring which a garage repair man has come and said to support the weight of the door and every day use it needs two springs. The garage shakes violently as a result. The stair railings came off the wall. The master shower is leaking water due to a missing part on the door that has still not been fixed. The cupboards are coming off the hinges in the kitchen. Lights have burnt out that they said should last 10 to 15 years! And you can't just change the bulb. The whole light needs to be replaced. The cupboards in the kitchen are not even accessible due to the fact that Pulte does not put any knobs on the cabinets.

Our AC unit has gone out twice in three weeks and we are currently sitting with no AC. Called the emergency warranty last night at 10pm and got a call at 8am asking if anyone had called us through the night. When I replied no, the man said he would have someone call me back. No one from Pulte has reached back out and I have left several messages this morning to try and speak to someone. The AC people called and may or may not be able to fit us in in the next two days.

When the warranty guy from Pulte came about two weeks ago I explained when the house was being built there were times we would come in and find beer cans laying around and the guys smelled like **. His reply was shocking. He said there was nothing they could do about the beer, if the guys wanted to drink after work they could but Pulte does not condone smoking illegal substances while on the job! I said I have a huge problem with contractors using my home as their after hours drinking spot, and I am not convinced they weren't doing it while working as the craftsmanship in this home is so poor. It would make sense. They were drunk!

Overall the craftsmanship of this home is terrible, and Pulte just keeps telling us they lost money on the sale of our home. Honestly, we could care less we paid for a new build and got a poor product. Even if you lost money you should still take pride in the work and deliver a quality product. They failed to do so. I would not waste time or money on purchasing from Pulte Homes. We sincerely regret our purchase and will be working to move out of here as fast as possible!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

I purchased a Pulte home 4 months ago. In terms of overall workmanship, nothing too major in my case (thank goodness for the reasons I will outline!). Many smaller issues needing attention, however, lack of attention to detail which continued past the "fixing it" point, because when they did come out to remove grout / paint and heavy scuff marks on the walls and floor as one example only, it didn't get completely done, and they were out the door before you knew it and couldn't inspect. Then electrical issues. Well they only work from 8-4 Monday to Friday. If you happen to also work Monday to Friday, as I do, rom 0730-430 and have any commute, you cannot be home during their hours of work. They will tell you that you will need to take time off from work to meet their 4 hour window requirement. For people getting paid by the hour....you do the math!

And there is no flexibility, they will tell you to call Division 16 Electric and work it out with them, but their hours, according to their message, are about as useless. 0730 - 330 plus they never returned 3 messages left over a week's time. Speaking of... I've also left phone messages with Pulte (3) and email messages (several) with one of their field personnel, Angel, with no response at all from Pulte Warranty Office, an occasional reply to some of several questions from Angel (after you talk to his boss). Just had to let others know, it doesn't seem like it's much of a warranty if you're not reasonably responding.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

We purchased a new home from Pulte in 2019 in the Aloravita Development and are having cracks appear in the ceilings throughout the home. We have contacted Customer Service/Warranties to only be told it is our responsibility and we should hire a structural engineer. This is disappointing to say the least. We have been hung up on by customer service representatives who can't provide any any help let alone escalate to someone higher in the organization. It would be nice if Pulte stood behind their work! Will never recommend Pulte Homes to anyone!!!! So disappointing for the amount of $$$$ spent on their shoddy workmanship!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

RUN RUN RUN!!!! Pulte is crooked, corrupt and an awful company to do business with. They don't follow through on their promises. Purchased a new home in Sterling Ridge community. Only at the beginning stages of construction and can already see that these homes are stamped out using the cheapest grade materials with the most untalented crews in the industry. Don't know how they are passing inspections but I have my suspicions. Bottom length of wood trusses butt fit in pieces connected with joist connectors. Sloppy framing details i.e. parts of sill plate missing foam barrier, cardboard sheathing haphazardly installed (over-lapped joints, different bottom lengths at sill, stapled, the worst (almost comical) air-sealing tape job I've ever seen, 10 yr shingles. I can only imagine what's next based on the reviews I've seen on many other sites. Carlos ** is the worse Field Manager, lack of communication all the time.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I have new build house purchased with Pulte in La Grange KY; 3 week old house. I have Flooring coming out; HVAC not functional properly, temperature changes every day; Water leak in basement; Poor workmanship in landscaping. First time home purchase turned into Disaster and full of mental stress.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

Purchased a new home in retirement community. Only at the beginning stages of construction and can already see that these homes are stamped out using the cheapest grade materials with the most untalented crews in the industry. Don't know how they are passing inspections but I have my suspicions. Bottom length of wood trusses butt fit in pieces connected with joist connectors. Sloppy framing details i.e. parts of sill plate missing foam barrier, cardboard sheathing haphazardly installed (over-lapped joints, different bottom lengths at sill, stapled, the worst (almost comical) air-sealing tape job I've ever seen, 10yr shingles. I can only imagine what's next based on the reviews I've seen on many other sites. Absolutely no communication.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I purchased a Pulte Home in Indio, CA in 2015. The house was excellent. Very well built. No complaints at all. I would still be there if it wasn’t 115 degrees all summer. Really, I am sorry for those who had bad experiences but I have to say that my home was terrific.

Original review: July 26, 2021

I am quite disappointed with delay in delivery of my home. When I booked my home, I was promised closing date as end of Aug. I understand that contractually they need to be safe and got contract signed for Oct, which gives them safety buffer. I was going by committed date and not contractual date. With the delays, they are now talking about delivery in Oct. I am just one month away from committed date and they are delaying the date by 2 months. Please learn from experience and plan accordingly.

Original review: July 22, 2021

House is appraised for $675K. I am sharing some photos of this wonderful house. Builders don’t give a damn about their client's #PulteHomes. Salesperson has told me that she can’t give me phone number for the upper management to talk regarding an unfinished home which was recently closed with a promise that house will be done by the time you guys close and then house will be done by time you will be back from closing. 5-6 hours work was left and most of that is still as-is after a Month.

Home inspection was done and there were many issues with the house. Got the house inspected again at given time by Builder but inspection came out almost the same. So basically no issues were fixed that came in Inspection Report. I asked #pultehomes if we need to postpone the closing due to house will not be done via email. #Pultehomes told us that it will be done by time inspector will arrive here. But nothing was done. Paid inspector again. I have both inspection reports on file. So I asked Pulte homes (Builder) again if we need to postpone the closing. He said everything will be done before closing tomorrow morning. So we came next day before closing for final walkthrough and everything was as is (still no work done). Only one guys was working on master bathroom bathtub.

Builder start making excuses that my guys got late last night so they are on the way and they should be here any minute and it will be done by the time you will be back from closing. So came back after 4-5 hours and saw house as-is, dirty with paint spots on floor and door handles, Switches and sockets not aligned, Sump pump pit with mud and trash, basement beams with mud on, a hole by the basement beam to the garage and all the other issues in the inspection report and the guy working on bathtub left the work in the middle before we came from closing and never came back. So we called Builder. Now it’s been a month and struggle still continues to get the house done since then. House should have been finished before closing. Builders shouldn’t force buyers to close on a house with false promises if house is not 100% complete.

When asked sales person to get me the contact for upper management. Her answer was that she doesn’t want to give contact information because she doesn’t feel like upper management should be involved and she is not authorized to give upper management phone # to a Realtor, Seriously! Builder built 6ft wall separating side yard from back yard with no access and saying that this is total normal. BUYERS, Make sure your house is completed before you close. DO NOT close on house if not at 100% completion. Waiting few days is better than struggling.

Original review: July 15, 2021

We built a Pulte home in Minneapolis late 2018. It was the same as the model home in the area as we liked that layout with a basement, main level and a loft. In general the home is nice after several minor adjustments and repairs. The main problem has been the HVAC system, which from day 1 was incorrectly wired by the installer. We selected the option to add a 3 zone system for an additional $6,000+ to get a more even control of the 3 levels of the home. After the miswiring was corrected the heating worked adequately. This summer we had a very hot period and the air-conditioning system did not keep up if it was above 90 degrees outside. The compressor kept running constantly until late night.

I discovered that our home – for the extra money – only has a 2.5 ton A/C system, while several identical and smaller homes have a 3 ton system. Speaking to those homeowners, their A/C system works fine. When asking Pulte for an explanation when they advertise an “appropriately sized to deliver outstanding efficiency” for their HVAC systems they showed us a basement only calculation to try to justify the 2.5 ton A/C system.

Two independent contractors have been here both telling me that our system is wrongly designed in several ways. One of them did a professional analysis for each room of the home resulting in a 20 page report telling us the home needs a 3.5 ton A/C system. Pulte’s last comment to us stated “It sounds like the equipment is performing in accordance with our warranty and industry standards”. So it is more than obvious to us that Pulte do not stand behind their advertised information and have no intentions in correcting the problem we are faced with. Several emails and non-returned phone calls to Pulte people is where we stand with no solution in sight. I would not recommend a Pulte home if you want comfort in the summertime. Beware!

Original review: July 13, 2021

Pulte Homes they have nice looking model homes but they do horrible job, when it comes to finishing. On my home they used broken window trims, extra gutter pipes all over the place not capped, it took them 7 months to paint the window trims, it took them 7 months to make my driveway and 2 days later it cracked from one end to another, and they are not fixing it either till it 1/4 of an. Bad paint job all over the house, drywalls are cracked everywhere. 7 month later they still haven't filled the front yard or backyard. They don't take care of you after closing. Once they get their money they don't care. If I had a choice I wouldn't do it again or recommend.

Original review: July 10, 2021

Bought new home during covid. No warranty work being done. Now that workers are coming to fix things, Pulte will not honor their warranty past 11 months. And the workers they sent were very poor workers. I ended up doing most the work myself. At least I know it is done right. Never again, pulte. Never will we buy your crap.

Original review: June 29, 2021

RUN RUN RUN!!!! Pulte is crooked, corrupt and an awful company to do business with. They take pride in their warranty program and use it as a selling point but in all reality it SUCKS! They don't follow through on their promises or fulfilling their warranty obligations unless you harass and threaten them repeatedly. And still, the job doesn't get done right. They hire GARBAGE, bottom of the barrel, cheapest crews they can find and your house is the end result. PUT YOUR MONEY ELSEWHERE. Oh, and their customer service is sub-par. I can't believe they are still in business. DON'T DO IT!! Especially in Macomb MI. Such a shame...

Original review: June 22, 2021

I closed my home with Pulte on April 4th 2021. During initial Walk through issues were identified, and they promised to fix it before closing. That didn't happened. After closing noticed that there were lots of problems and took a lot of effort to schedule to fix them. I had to babysit all the contractors. After move-in found more issues and have been struggling to get them fix. The communication from Pulte is horrible. I would not recommend them if you are looking for a new home.

Original review: June 4, 2021

I purchased a condo in 2010. The original builder was Centex and pulled took over. I can hear everything single thing the upstairs neighbors make. Talking, walking, running, crying, snoring, name it I can hear it. Did I mention their living room is above my bedroom. This is the worse purchase I could have made. The materials they used are below grade. Save yourself the trouble. Do not buy from Pulte at least a condo where neighbors are above you. You will live to regret it. I wish I could file a class action lawsuit against them.

Original review: May 17, 2021

I thought that Pulte was a reputable builder but they are terrible. They do everything possible to cut corners. Crappy building material and terrible contractors. Shop around but don’t buy Pulte!! I have bought many homes - new and existing construction. Pulte is the absolute worst by every measure.

Original review: May 10, 2021

The builder did a terrible job installing my sod. When I questioned the installation, the Pulte salesman told me that it would be addressed. When I put in a service request, Pulte's management stated that once the sod was installed it was no longer covered under warranty. I had to foot the bill to have the sod completed reinstalled.

Original review: May 4, 2021

The Pulte home buying/building process has been a nightmare. We have to notify them of their mistakes!!! For example, they painted the interior of the house the wrong color!!! Installed the wrong garage door! Installed the wrong dishwasher without telling us about it. Put the wrong material around the front door; they put up siding instead of brick and then argued about their mistake. The initial design that we chose became "unavailable" about a month after we had chosen it and we had to start that process over. The start of construction of the house was delayed by this issue. They have seeded the yard before putting in the irrigation system. Now, we are not sure if the right carpet was installed and they will not show us the sample we had chosen!! Bait and Switch??? We have asked them to prove us wrong. These are just a few of the issues that we have had. My warning to any future buyers is to be skeptical.

Original review: May 1, 2021

Should have done research. I assumed builders that have been around as long as Pulte must be building quality homes. Half the windows were not level, they fixed this after we moved in, cool. Less than a week after we moved in garage leak. Called the maintenance hotline and they said it wasn’t an emergency they’d put in a ticket. Guess I had higher expectations for a half million dollar town home. Feeling a lot of regret six days after buying a Pulte Home. Very poor construction.

Original review: April 26, 2021

I didn’t think I would end up writing this review, and I must say that I regret not listening to the people that wrote previous reviews. Foolishly, I read the reviews about Pulte Homes and proceeded to purchase a Pulte home. Big mistake, and sorry for doubting all of you. Before closing, there was a laundry list of issues that were promised to be fixed after closing. Some were small, others pretty big. The more minor issues I fixed myself or the supervisor had resolved. Without being petty, I will say the overall workmanship was poor.

The biggest issue I reported was visible seams on the ceiling. I tried to work with the Pulte team on getting the ceiling issue resolved; however, after two months and five Pulte people later, I was told, “there isn’t anything further we can do.” I’ve been given a myriad of excuses why the seams are visible; here are some of the more comical ones were, “well, your house is set East to West, so you’ll see the seams,” “they aren’t seams; they are shadows,” “gravity pulls on the wet drywall mud so you’ll never have a seamless ceiling.”

In addition to the visible seams, the other topic that got under my skin was the Pulte team talking to me like I have zero knowledge about the home building process and that I should accept defects. Just today, I was told, “I have twenty years in construction, and visible “shadows” (seams) are very common.” In reviewing this entire process, I’ve realized that Pulte doesn’t care about the homeowner. It’s a turn business. Sign the contract, and they are done with you. Honestly, I cannot say one positive thing about purchasing new construction from Pulte.

Original review: April 8, 2021

Beware of deceptive practices! Pulte offered us a Loan Estimate beating another company we sent them. We signed and then three days later Pulte called and said it was a computer error and they refused to honor the deal. Literally breaking a legal document and invalidating our rate lock we signed for with no legal just reason to do so. They then wiped us out of the system completely and told us we could take what they gave us (now paying for points for the same rate lock) or use someone else. Talk about trying to pull a bait and switch.

Original review: April 5, 2021

Pulte does not respond timely with their first year warrant service and their communication is very poor. I have been waiting since January to have an air leaking sliding class door replaced on my energy efficient home and for my interior doors to receive finish painting and staples removed from them.

Original review: March 30, 2021

We purchased our Pulte built townhome back in 2018 and a few months later we ended up with a roof leak in the garage. Long story short, it took about 4 attempts before the roof was correctly fixed. Now we have problems with our AC unit and have been told the unit is too small for the square footage. Numerous owners on our street have had the same issues with their AC unit. Pulte claims it's up to code. Even our HOA is in litigation against Pulte. Why do these big companies continue getting away with cutting corners at the expense of the homeowner?

Original review: March 10, 2021

When click on it, it says unavailable. Publicity stunt and using veterans to boost their image. They should be fined for using veterans... Disgrace to our country when they promote ethics on their website.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

I went to the sales rep and applied for 2 homes and paid the initial amount on both properties and applied for the Pulte Mortgage. I was told that if at closing time I was approved for 1 property, I will be able to transfer the money from the first the other property for the one I was approved for. I was also told that the whole buying process is smooth since it is all within the Pulte companies.

First Mislead; At the time of closing, I was denied for one of the properties and approved for the other. I requested my money to be transferred from the property that I was denied for to the one I was approved. I was told the builder will keep 50% of the money which I was told before that I will be able to refunded the amount if Pulte mortgage declined to give me the loan. They kept blaming each other as it is the fault of the Pulte mortgage and/or it is the fault of the builder. In the end the sales rep mislead me at the time I was signing for the property and paying the initial amount to reserve the property.

Second mislead; They called me a month before the property was completed and scheduled a final walk-through and 3 days after for the closing. For a whole month the Pulte Mortgage have been asking me for documents and income and I submitted everything they asked for. After I signed for those dates I was told if there is a delay in closing from my side I will pay $250 for every day. The closing day came and passed and now they want me to pay for the delay on top of what I have lost before already. I was told by the Mortgage company that the delay is from the underwriting. So now I am getting different people from different departments (all under the Pulte umbrella) who do not communicate with each other at all, put the blame on each other and the result is the customer is being penalized for all their mistakes.

I asked all of the reps to have any of the decision making people call me (the customer) and no one cared to call me until today. The sales reps are either not knowledgeable or they give the customer what they want to hear to get them to buy and hide other things. They will blame you that you signed a paper for it. So my advice to you, do not trust what you hear from the Pulte employees and reps and make sure to read between the lines or get a lawyer to read every single paper they will send you before signing. they cannot be trusted even if you ask specific questions and you get a lie not the true answer.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

Many quality, workmanship issues with the subcontractors. I have been trying to get several of the urgent items resolved for 5 months now. Management does not care once they get your money. I would never build or buy a Pulte home again. The majority of the neighbors in this new development agree and are frustrated with the lack of responsiveness and urgency with the Pulte warranty team. They mass produce the homes and build them at a break neck pace with little to no regard to quality or workmanship. They need to stop building and take care of the people who recently purchased homes.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I purchased my Pulte home in February 2020. It was built and move in ready by August. Any of the minor problems I encounter are immediately scheduled for repair. Not a lot of faulty issues but at any rate I can get an immediate work order submitted via email to the service manager. No complaints at all. Great builder. I saw the negative ratings and wanted to even the score with my positive one.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

I did not read the reviews here before we started dealing with Pulte and lucky we did not buy a home from them. We were looking to buy into the Briargate 55+ committee. We went to our appointment on January 20th 2021 which did go well but we had done our homework on what we wanted. Kae was very nice. She told us she would put us on a list and we would be called on Friday after 3pm January 22, 2021 and we would go from there.

Well then we got home that day. Things change. We were then told we had to go up to the property and sign up on the list then after we did we could not leave till they called us, and that we should arrive as early as possible. We would have to stay in our vehicle. There were no bathroom facilities for us to use and we would of had to stay in our car for hours in the freezing cold. It's 19 degrees out today, this is not how you treat people. So if you want to be treated like you are worthless and they tell you what to do like you worked for them then this is you builder. I believe They forgot that you are the one with the money not them.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

We purchased a beautiful Pulte home in the Cuneo area of Vernon Hills. The home was ready when promised and is beautiful. We still love the home. Overall, the workmanship appears to be fine. Some areas of frustration include the following:

1. Tile work in the master shower is subpar. The tiles do not line up and some tiles stick out further than other tiles.

2. Several doors do no close including the front door and garage door. We are unable to use the front door as it must be locked or it will blow open. We have contacted Pulte to fix these problems (over 2 months ago). Pulte advised us that due to Covid, they are not going to repair the defects. Meanwhile, my brother drove past the home while we were on vacation and noticed our front door was wide open.

3. NEW BIG PROBLEM - We paid to have the basement plumbed for a bathroom. The Contractor today opened the black box for the drain and realized that Pulte had poured concrete into the drain. The bathroom drain was covered by a black box. We have reached out to Pulte to fix this defect, today.

4. I presume this is to be expected, but there are two long cracks in the ceiling and one in a wall. We just followed the required steps for these cracks to be corrected.

I am concerned Pulte will give us an excuse as to fixing the cracks or removing the concrete from the drain in the basement. If possible, I will update this review to let you know if they fix the defects or give us an excuse. It appears as if Covid only affects their workers when they need to fix defects on sold homes but not building new homes.

Pulte Homes Company Information