1.75/5

Find a recommended home builder & developer now

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

266 Meritage Homes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

We bought a Meritage home in El Dorado Hills, CA brand new in 2017. I was first surprised at the lack of shear wall wrapping the house - Instead only foam board covered with stucco. Broken tiles, unfinished trim, dangerous electrical smoking, plumbing problems, and leaking bent rain gutters are only the tip of the iceberg. Mix that with very poor warranty services and office that won't call you back and you get this review. SAVE YOURSELVES! DO NOT BUY MERITAGE, YOU WILL REGRET IT! The quality is horrible.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

After purchasing my home a little over 2 years not quite 3 years ago I would like to share my experience regarding my home. I have Electrical issues with my home. In my laundry room the electrical doesn't work. In order for me to use my washer I have to plug an extension cord in the hallway in order to wash my clothes or otherwise if I try to use the outlet for the washer it will trip and shut off the washer totally. Now the outlet doesn't work at all. In the kitchen when I use my coffeemaker my refrigerator will shut off and trip so I have to go to the breaker box.

The deck that was built the craftsmanship and the way they built it was horrendous to say the least. I was also unaware since I go in and out of my garage last month when it rain heavily I order delivery and it was a damn pond in the walkway. Literally the delivery person brought it to my attention. I have had issues with the AC & Heating System/Unit since my husband and I have moved into this home, It's also things like the tops of your doors not being painted, underneath the sinks paint on the cabinets. A homeowner should not have these issue with a home less than 3 years old.

I do plan on contacting Meritage Homes to see what can be done about the pond in the walkway when it rains. I did contact them about the electrical issues and of course the warranty is only good for a year. Major components of a home should be warranted more than a year but that says a lot right there! And no new homeowner should have these issues not with major components such as AC & Heating system, Electrical, and a Pond in their walkway. My grade for this builder would be a D- and that's being generous. I wouldn't recommend them and will never use them again!

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

We purchased a Meritage town home with an escrow closing date of 12/28/18. It's now 1/31/19 and we're still waiting to take possession. Phone calls to Meritage result in a variety of excuses blaming other parties, including the City, the HOA, Subcontractors, etc. Our point of contact is Robert **, and to categorize him as exceptionally rude and unprofessional would be a colossal understatement. His complete disdain for his customers is so apparent that I can only assume that one of his family members is a principal of the Company.

In an effort to discover what is causing the delay, I contacted the City Building Official and discovered that there were a number of items that the City had issued correction notices for that Meritage ignored and as a consequence, no further certificates of occupancy were being issued until they met the City's requirements. A conscientious reputable developer/builder doesn't burn bridges with the jurisdictions that it builds in, or the purchasers of their product. Sadly, Meritage appears to do both.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Meritage needs to stop being so inflexible and allow buyers to opt for single garage doors or widen the garage entrance for double doors. Their entrance is soooo narrow that I have scratched my car twice in the past 4 months. This is stressful!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Buying my Meritage Home was a delight. The home was as promised and the close process was less stressful than I thought it would be. After moving in we did find several issues. But they fixed these issues quickly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I had a positive and great experience working with Meritage, they have been responsive and prompt to every question and concern. We closed on time as expected. After moving in they were able to immediately satisfy any requests such as paint touch-up and replacements. They do truly care about their customers and the quality of service they provide.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Meritage was marketed as an upscale builder in my area (San Antonio). They build with sub-par materials and craftsmanship. The best advice I can give: once you accept the keys, you will never hear or be able to contact them again. So refuse closing until ALL issues are addressed. Warranty work will require a lawyer. I am the original owner and the poor quality shows as time goes by (5+ years).

Windows placed without proper sealing, windows said to have UV protection but do not, electrical wiring below spec, electrical panel with extremely cheap breakers, HVAC unit that took two years to correct (via legal action), water heater failed after two years, materials buried in backyard, paint jobs are beyond terrible, exterior bricks cracking, garage door framing not built/sealed properly, tried to charge for "upgrades" that were actually required by building code (very deceptive)... I could go on and on. The materials have not stood up to time. Trying to get Meritage to stand behind their product/warranty became so futile that I just fixed things on my own. Which is exactly what they want and how their business model works. Strongly recommend you look elsewhere if you're building new.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

My wife and I moved into our home in 2013. It was built in 2012, but due to the holidays, the home was not ready for occupancy until early January. We had several warranty issues the first year. All of the Granite counters had to be replaced in the kitchen, we had some minor problems with the plumbing. A few repairs to the roof. Then about 3 years ago, thing went bad. Our heating and air conditioning system had to replaced, it was under warranty, but it took several weeks to get the new one installed. Then our door in the hallway that is access to the garage, came out from the wall, frame and all. Meritage Homes would not fix it, so we had to repair it.

Then in 2016 the air conditioning and heating system went out again, once again covered under warranty and was replaced in several weeks at a time. Then this summer of 2018, the heating and air conditioning system went out again. This time We were told it was our problem. Meritage Homes just blew us off. I had a licensed contractor and well known company to install a new heating and air conditioning system. I contacted Meritage Homes and informed them that the ceiling in the hallway had to be taken out, just to get the new Air conditioning and heating system installed. I was told by Meritage homes that the ceiling was nothing but cosmetic and not part of the 10 year builder's warranty, including the heating and air conditioning system, that was our problem. We had the new system installed and is working fine but it cost us over $8,000.00 to get this work done.

Here we are a few days from Christmas, we discovered a major water leak in the exterior wall of our home. I called in a plumber, and he would not do the work for fear of voiding our Builder's Warranty. Once again I contacted Meritage Homes, I advised them that the siding on the house had to be removed to get to the leak. The response from Meritage Homes was that the exterior siding was cosmetic and not covered by the Builder's warranty, issued by Meritage Homes. I asked for a letter from Meritage Homes so that we could proceed with the repairs and removal of the siding of our home. All I got from Meritage Homes was an E-mail to proceed with the repairs. We did proceed and discovered major water damage to the structure and the insulation, the water did damage in our kitchen area behind our cabinets.

We also found some exposed electrical wiring in the exterior wall that was not in conduit as required by the National Electrical Code and the International Building Code, so that will be repaired. We got the leak repaired, now we have learned that water supply lines are part of a major lawsuit (NIBCO PEX) as being defective. Damage to the exterior wall and damage in our kitchen ceiling and interior. I also have a big machine in my kitchen trying to dry out the water damaged areas. Most of our dishes from our cabinets are in boxes. So I have tried several times to contact Meritage Homes. Well they are all closed for the Holidays and will not be back until January 2. A recording said if you need warranty work, send an e-mail and Meritage Homes will get back to you sometime in 2019. So far, my wife and I have spent over $10,000 for repairs to a home that was built in 2012/2013. So go buy a Meritage Home and good luck.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Meritage is great when you are buying a new home. When we came for the original walkthrough, we walked the house and went over several issues which were supposed to be complete before the closing. We came back the day before the closing and only one of the items had been completed. They then started to rush to complete the items so we could sign off the next day before the closing. We returned the following morning and was told the garage door dent would be fixed within a week as they were waiting on a new panel. Over 2 months later, the garage door is still not fixed, every item we have submitted for repairs has not been addressed and now we have a water leak in the roof that they have been trying to fix for 2 weeks. I would not recommend Meritage Homes.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Most likely, homeowners who have been in their homes for less than two years will be pleased with Meritage. After that time the cut corners will start to become apparent. Also, reading other reviews it is clear that any experience is highly dependent on the local contractors. Some examples of issues we have encountered include only a single coat of paint being applied to the interior and landscaping contractors who planted two trees that were already banned one county away due to insect infestations; both trees had to be replaced.

Our biggest grievance is with the electrical work. We did not want to cheap Goodman air conditioner units so we paid for the lineset and pre-wire so that better quality units could be added later. It took six years to put together the money and when our HVAC team went to turn on the units we found that there were no circuit breakers installed and that there was not enough room in the panel to accommodate the required breakers. A little more poking around in the breaker box and we discovered that the A/C wires had been tucked in among the breakers, but left loose and not hooked up to anything. The electrician had tucked the wires away behind the cover panel so that it was not obvious they were present. It cost us an additional $1,000 to have a new sub-panel wired in so that the A/C could be wired up to the 2012 building code our house fell under.

Meritage would not discuss the problem over e-mail and were never around when I would call back. So we lodged a complaint with the BBB. The final response was that we were out of warranty and a larger electrical panel was not required because we had an unfinished basement. If the statute of limitations was not exceeded by about six months at the time we would have sued Meritage for fraud. Charging us $1,200 for a line-set and prewire strikes me as fraudulent when the prewire is not actually connected to any breakers and therefore unable to be energized.

The one positive is that in our case the bones of the house have been solid. Perhaps that is the most important detail. Perhaps. We have put more than $20,000 into fixing the various items Meritage skimped on and it would be a lot more expensive if I did not do much of the work myself. The aforementioned electrical work for the A/C is a prime example: the larger breaker box would have cost $75 retail and then four breakers need to be installed so Meritage cheaped out on maybe $150 worth of expenses so we could be hit with a surprise bill for $1,000 down the road. I would not buy another Meritage home and I suspect that we were luckier than most and got one of their better built homes.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Stay away from this builder. They promise everything, and deliver little. They built a house for us in the Houston area. The price is right on their homes and they initially look great. The trim around our back windows has been replaced twice--once by them, and now, by us. They did not even seal the area around the windows correctly. Two years ago, the frame around our back door rotted out and we replaced it. This week we had to totally replace all the tile in one of the upstairs bathrooms because the tiles were falling off. The Contractor said it was one of the crappiest jobs he had ever seen. He also said our other upstairs bathroom would need to be redone as it had the same problem. We had a media room built with a dedicated breaker. The breaker continually trips for no reason---as do other breakers in the house. The electrician said they must have used the cheapest materials they could find. Believe the one-star reviews. Buyer beware.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Meritage is a top notch builder. They truly care about the quality of the home they are building you! And they strive to ensure you are informed and knowledgeable every step of the way about what you are buying and the options you are selecting. Building and designing the home was so much fun! And our builder, Coop, make sure that the home was literally perfect. Every tiny imperfection that we pointed out, he has fixed immediately. He went wayyy above and beyond the call of duty to ensure we loved everything about this house. There were literally no unwelcome or unexpected surprises at all. We are so happy with Meritage.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Those who gave Meritage 5 stars, seems either they are related to Meritage outside of being plain customer or just lucky. Sales team starts off in a nice way. The house is nice to live in. They use foam insulation and good materials so all that is good. But apart from that, everything is bad. They rushed through with the construction ignoring & covering-up construction issues - caught them as I was visiting the construction site couple of times a week. They covered-up areas I wanted to check before putting the brick wall because of tears on wraps - I asked them to let me know so I can confirm it was repaired correctly, but they put up the bricks without letting me know or see if the tears were fixed correctly.

The previous work on tears were not fixed until I pushed them to. When I was pointing out those issues, Meritage was saying I was bringing up lots of issues as if I should ignore them. Then they started pressuring me to close without getting other after construction issues resolved. They said they will fix all those after closing - that now seems like a big lie. Issues which I have being pointing out for more than a month after closing have not yet been resolved. Word of advice - with Meritage do not close until all issues are fixed. Yard is very bumpy such that kids cannot run around without tripping.

Dryer needed repairs (changing drum and side panel) after very first run - Meritage said they will not replace dryer but ask Whirlpool to repair it - so I paid price for new dryer but getting to use a repaired dryer - more like Meritage sold me "refurbished" for price of new - and I am still waiting for the repairs after more than a month after closing. Word of advice - run a full load before closing to confirm if you are getting a bad appliance or not. Shower enclosure leaks from corners. Underground water valves outside are covered in thick layer of dirt, due to neighboring home construction, such that one has to dig through thick dirt to get to the valves. As I have been asking for all these issues to be resolved, I want to meet with Meritage to discuss them, but they try to avoid meeting with me and not respond to emails.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Purchase our home in January 2017. Moved in at the end of August 2017. We noted items in August 2018 with the Warranty Inspector and as of this post October 25, 2018 the items have not been fixed/resolved. Our main issue is the proper leveling of the front yard. For the last 14 months we have complained about the large dip in our yard that creates a pool "every single time it rains" for more than 10 minutes. It takes 3 weeks before the water soaks into the ground. Meritage has come out and installed two small drains but it has not helped.

Meritage claims to be the best builder but they do not pay close attention to detail. With the price of our home and neighborhood one would think they would ensure proper drainage of every home and common area in a brand new neighborhood where they are the only builder. What you can expect is substandard construction and every excuse possible to prevent doing the necessary work. We made a poor decision when choosing them as a builder. I am now waiting for a return call from the Corporate Office and will continuing calling them until I can talk with someone.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

How can a person buy a new home. You bring in your "home property manager" for the 1 year inspection punch list/repair list, and you show them the "WARPED" front door, and even this managers repairman/contractor, and the person from the window/door 84 Lumber Guy says it is warped. But your "manager:" says, it is "acceptable", and goes as far as to tell the homeowner, "you can pursue it, but nothing will be done"! SERIOUSLY! This is how your company operate? Warped front entry doors? A brand new build with an "Acceptable" warped front door"? I do not believe as a brand new build, the homeowner purchased a WARPED door? Would YOU? No you would not!

Now, there are few things the homeowner can overlook, the crown molding gaps not being filled, the doorknobs not working, the drainage outside being buried in the mud, etc., but a warped front entry door, come on? Right is RIGHT and wrong is WRONG, and THAT IS WRONG! IS MERITAGE Homes only "Acceptable"? Is that what you want to be known as, that You build "acceptable" homes? I think you would prefer "exceptional", wouldn't you? Along with Exceptional Homeowner Customer Service? I would love to hear back from someone regarding this and not just be ignored please.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

The entire process from signing the agreement, selecting the options at the design center, construction and financing has been challenging and disappointing. The lack of professionalism and customer service from the sales team to management is evident throughout the company. The experience has not been pleasant rather stressful. Our biggest concern is the poor quality of workmanship from damaged cabinets, paint spills on the floor and outlets, stained quartz countertops, scratches on stainless steel appliances and hood range, red paint on sidewalk and door trim, missing caulking, etc. The construction/project manager, Heather **, indicated the cracks on the kitchen cabinets were normal.

We purchased their top of the line wood cabinets and did not expect to see any scratches or joist tearing apart. She insisted that this is normal. We contacted the cabinet manufacturer and scheduled an inspection. The manufacturer confirmed that after installation, they inspected the cabinets and no damages were on any of the cabinets. The inspector indicated that he informed Heather that installing the floor and backsplash after installation of cabinets would be an issue and could cause damages. The inspection did confirm several damages to the cabinets and pending resolution from Meritage Homes. Our second concern is how the quartz countertops were handled. During our site visit, we noticed that the countertop was being used by their contractor for tools, boxes, etc. We noted in our walk through that the countertop has several stains in it. Heather indicated that it will be cleaned prior to our closing.

We closed on our home and the countertops were still stained and dirty. Heather sent a countertop guy to clean the surface within a week. The cleaning person removed some of the stain, but the countertop is now lacking shine or luster and has blotchy spots. Again, we notified Heather, we provided her a photo of the countertop during construction which shows that it was used by her contractors. She insisted that no damage was done to the countertop and blamed us for inspecting the property during construction and bringing meals to the crew. We have requested to have the manufacturer inspect the countertops, this is pending resolution as well. In addition, weigh your options with financing based on their closing costs contributions and interest rate, which is considerably higher than the market rate. Overall, the company lacks customer service and detail to quality. Staff were unprofessional and shows no care for customers. It has been a disappointing experienced and we hoped that no one else suffers through this type of treatment.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

The warranty follow up work as a seasonal homeowner has been a nightmare. We have spent more time waiting for subs and repair work than we have spent enjoying our home. The lack of respect and customer service to return an email or a text is unbelievable. Beautiful design and floor plan but a bust on finish quality and customer service.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

We purchased our Meritage Home in November 2013. My wife was concerned when the company was telling us we had to pay more money and move our closing day. My wife commented to me, that we were not responsible for their error and why should we have to pay for their mistake so, she said, "Let's not buy the house. Something sounds odd." I wish I had listened and let them keep my earnest money but, I didn't. Please do listen to all the negative reviews. We begun to have issues with this builder from the moment we put our earnest money down. They do make all sorts of promises and do not honor them especially after you close. They will prop up their company by telling you about how wonderful their warranty is. However, buyer beware! Just finished with our case that was recently closed with the Better Business Bureau.

The BBB stated, they have answered the complaint and was not resolved (this is how they are listing it on their website). As with most warranty issues we have had they have refused to repair the problem and with the majority of issues we were told by their customer representatives, "This is not a warranty issue." So predictable and with each warranty issue we always expected that answer. We became well aware their employees are trained in this manner. Sadly to say, when you do come across a customer representative that recognizes that there is problem and attempts to do the right thing they fire them. I asked the Better Business Bureau how they can even give this company an A+ rating. I got no response. Please! Please, do yourself a favor and choose another builder!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I built a Meritage Home; signed contract 9/2016; construction began in January 2017 and completed April 2017. I moved in May 2017 and within two months noticed odd odors. I have spent $3,000 in testing and am told by the specialists I hired that I need to spend another $1500-$2000 to ensure the health of my family. The odors by December absorbed into everything we owned; clothes, lunch bags, back packs, mattresses, stuffed animals, hair, cats fur and even into our food in-pantry and freezer! I asked for assistance with this odor July-Sept with my project manager with no luck; became a warranty item in October 2017. It took me forcing things to get anything done from Meritage.

In March 2018 it was determined by Meritage that the trim on my 2nd floor was not caulked. This caused water intrusion behind the siding on 2nd floor, water was found between the tar paper and the Tyvek behind the siding. It also caused 3 of the 4 columns to become wet and moldy. My house became filled with excessive VOC's from the OSB/sheathing and wet concrete odors from the wet siding. From testing it was determined that the siding had mold embedded in it and that my home was 1215% above max allowed VOC limit on first floor and 2000% above on 2nd floor. Chemicals such as acrolein, hexaldehyde, crotenaldehyde, decanal, acetaldehyde, valeraldehyde, benzene, acetic acid, proprionaldehyde... there were days that you could visually see the air and feel it as it passed out an open window.

My son and I suffered from red eyes, dizziness, asthma type symptoms, tics, headaches, congestion. My cats puked bile daily. We traveled out of the state and took the odor with us in our luggage. There days that you couldn't stay in the home. Guests and Meritage Warranty team had asthma attacks, dizziness and left smelling of my home. I have had the FL Dept of Health and a private industrial hygienist test my home and provide reports that were given to Meritage. Meritage brought their own air quality tester in who did a 5 minute VOC meter test and mold test. I paid for a 24 hour VOC test - a much more thorough test.

My 2nd floor has been without siding since April and has been under plastic. My columns were dismantled in July and have had new OSB laced around the columns; two of which were still wet - proven by Dept of Health's moisture meter. The metal straps and the screws in 3 of the 4 columns that were wet and moldy are rusty. Dept of Health told me those needed to be replaced as well as the structural beams that were wet. The hygienist recommended the OSB on face of house be replaced and in the least pulled from my home to make sure there was no future moisture that would continue the off-gassing to occur. She also recommended hydroxyl generators be in my home to eliminate the toxic VOC's from the interior.

Since April I have had windows open whenever possible to dilute the air and since June I have had my fresh air system open 100% and running at 100% with my AC at a very low temperature to keep the fresh air running - recommended by the hygienist and an air quality HVAC company I hired. Luckily for me the Dept of Health did not detect any VOC's at their visit which was 3 months after I had my initial air testing done by the hygienist and windows and fresh air were opened.

I have requested Meritage to replace the OSB and columns and for hydroxyl generators to be provided. They denied this request. I asked for Meritage to provide me with their test results and any reports from their specialists that state my home is acceptable as is. They denied this request. I then asked them to have their engineer on record to recertify my building materials that have been wet and moldy or exposed to the elements since for this past year+ before proceeding with siding install and column completion. They have refused this request as well.

Meritage has picked from their test results and disclosed only the items that removed liability from them. They made decisions to not replace building materials that have been exposed for over a year to the weather. They blamed everything of mine for the VOC's (from furnishings to wallpaper and flooring - even baseboards they thought that I replaced but are the original baseboards). They have lied about air quality test results. They have lied about what removing OSB from my home would do to my framing. I took their words to a structural engineer who laughed and said the claims were ridiculous and that the boards should be replaced. They have refused to follow anything that was written by any of the specialists I hired to test my home; including the FL DOH.

I am the one left with a house that could have issues in the future; that may give me problems selling in the future if I can't prove the repairs were done correctly. I would lose financially. If I have the building materials replaced myself, not only am I taking an additional costs where I shouldn't have to, I will void the structural warranty of my home. It is unacceptable how they have treated my family and my home for a construction defect that caused much more than a little water intrusion.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

We just bought a house from them and we were getting an inspection done by the VA because that's who we were using for our loan. VA if you didn't know is the hardest and most serious when it come to protection its veterans. We had 13 other homes inspected from custom which was the worst to Mungo and some other major home builders and they all failed inspection. But we had him inspect a Meritage home for us and their construction was outstanding the inspector said they are using 2x6's in their 2018 homes instead of 2x4's, they use spray foam, the AC units are from Trane and much more.

They let you walk in the houses before you buy them and you don't pay for anything unless it passes your approval. So slow down and look at the house even if it takes 10 times to look at the house. Make sure everything looks good and is functional. They read these reviews and take notes. Some guy said they were using a bad AC unit company. Now in 2018 they are using top of the line Trane's. You also have to look at the area and the neighborhood if there is 300 houses in the community then most likely the houses were rushed and all you have to do is look and say what needs to be fixed. One last thing people complain about is their customer support and they might be right but yelling at them won't help the situation. I hope my review helped some of you guys look at Meritage Homes and say, "Wow what a nice house."

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Quantity Vs Quality should be Meritage motto. Completely Disgusted by the quality of workmanship in my "New" Meritage home. Don't go to the model home stop by mine instead and see my house first so you can see what you're really going to get. I'm also a first time homebuyer. I should have read other reviews on Yelp first before buying this Faulty low grade house from this Builder. In the pictures you will see the lack of consistency in drywall texture throughout my home as well as the paint is two toned from the ceiling to the walls there's a lot of untextured spots throughout.

In several areas throughout the house there are heavy amounts of plaster in the corners people forgot to sand JUST SLOPPY!!!! Pen marks on shower. Cuts and scrapes on my sink countertops. Walls coming apart. No seal around doors. Paint on my tile floor and wall. Underneath kitchen island - unfinished/ texture coming apart. Crooked walls. DO NOT BUY Meritage homes!!! I was told I had a 20 day walkthrough which has not happened. I have blue tape throughout my entire house of Meritage work that needs to be done correctly. My entire house still needs to be repainted and keep in mind I've already moved in. I would like for Meritage corporation to start hiring quality workers!!! RIDICULOUS!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Moved into our New Meritage home last year. Had concerns all along re poor drainage to back side yard which were expressed during our preconstruction meetings. We were told if retainer wall was needed we would have one. They never built one and our neighbors' lawn is several feet higher than ours resulting in very poor to almost no drainage and black mushy dead lawn algae ridden lawn. Meritage is not at all interested and says it's a landscaping issue and not their problem!! Landscaper has told us we will need to spend maybe a thousand or more to get it paved as there is no other solution! I have heard that there are others in this community with the same issue. Beware! Their warranty is not worth the paper it's written on!!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

We purchased a Meritage Homes in the Nashville Metropolitan Area about 10 months ago. We paid top dollar for a home that has overall substandard workmanship, they claim to warranty the foundation of the home, yet we are having crumbling and they have told us it is only cosmetic. BEWARE!!! DO NOT PURCHASE A HOME FROM THIS BUILDER!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

They have lied about everything since day one. First we were supposed to have a resort style pool with a splash pad. Which was to be finished by last summer. NOPE. Not happening. Now we are getting a small pool with no water heater. Splash pad is a no go. We were also supposed to have a playground and dog park. A year and half later. Nothing yet. Our community is supposed to be accessible to other Lakewood Ranch communities and we were told the road to do this was to be done by last year. NOPE still not even close to be done.

The roads are not draining properly when it rains, the landscape is not being kept up with. They haven’t mulched the common areas behind the houses in over 2 years. Also this now nonresort style clubhouse doesn’t even come air-conditioned. I would definitely recommend not buying in this community. They will do nothing but tell you lies to get you here and please do not buy from Meritage. At least in the Bradenton Lakewood Ranch area.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Bridgewater Subdivision in Simpsonville, SC - 8/9/18 we experienced heavy rain and flooding of the street at **. This is a new home we bought two years ago. The area we live in is a lower area in the neighborhood. Every time it rains we experience varying degrees of flooding in the street, yard, drive and inside some homes. The rainwater comes down the hill at both ends of the road and overflows the drains located along the road. Also the drain water from the Bridge Crossing overflows from the storm drain located across the street from our homes.

This means all the rainwater from the back side of the neighborhood basically runs into Grand River Lane or overflows from the storm drain into Grand River. The design of the drainage system is not correct and cannot handle the rain storms. The water got over halfway up my driveway and about 15 foot from our porch. My neighbor's house flooded into the house and the garage. Every room on the 1st floor flooded. This is the second time their house has flooded due to poor drainage design. Several of us that live in the flooding area are planning on contacting an attorney. I have video footage of the flooding from 8/9/18 and will attempt to upload. I also have several photos.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

We signed a contract with Meritage Homes in September 2017. Long story short... Due to a inspection report that was enough for us to walk away. They have retained our escrow money and design center money. They built a low budget house. Stay away from this builder.

Original review: July 18, 2018

If you're considering building with Meritage - run. I understand you get what you pay for when your price per square foot is under $100. The major issue is once the sales is complete, good luck getting anything done and expect being lied to on a consistent basis. They have the warranty work they do but getting that done is like pulling teeth from a baby. From day 1, I told our construction supervisor the grading of yard was terrible. We're at the end of a cul-de-sac and below street level.

Needless to say we get a ton of water here in SC. Their solution was to run a ditch in the front yard. When it rained, we had an obvious creek running through. That did not work so they put in a trough (not even a catch basin) with a 4 inch pipe and piped it half way to the side of yard. That system could not keep up with the rain either. I had enough and paid over $5000.00 to fix the issue. This is just 1 of a ton of issues we have had with our house. Decent house at a decent price point. If you expect any help after you move you, you're gonna be greatly disappointed. I have never written a review to slam a company but my hope is to save others the misery my family has been through for the past 3 yrs. DO NOT CONSIDER BUILDING WITH THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: July 13, 2018

Our home in Hammock Park Oviedo. Just a list of issues. Lazy workers, rush to close, trash everywhere, Taco Bell bag painted to side of home, unfinished work at closing, tools, trash, etc under the turf. Towel rack and toilet paper holders fell off walls, odd place light switches, never set the master tub, it was loose and would not seal closed, bugs and dirt in grout in showers, broken tiles and sharp screws in drain in showers. No grout in tile floors, did not seal glass showers, all trim and doors in entire home with different paint shade from white to light yellow, doors warped not sanded, dirt in paint, instead of correctly sized trim, 15 small pieces nailed together, seams showing, did not fill nail holes. Watered down paint. Doorway cut irregular doors do not fit or hasn’t properly, door knobs fell apart, low flow toilets do not work properly, some facing had weird circles in it.

For customer service: salespeople nice but cannot help, building manager Mike. Slow response, forgets, makes things up, can be disrespectful. He is never in a rush to help. Basically he could care less. His workers also could care less, if they show up they are clueless, unprepared for an repair. American Door is awful, rude disrespectful, hard to get them out and do an awful job. Garbage is left to blow around the neighborhood by the construction crew. Their personal trash and construction trash. Mike their manager just blows it off. Say, "What you going to do. They are cheap labor," and he said he can’t control that. He can - he is the site manager! He does not manage. The construction crew is sketchy and stare at the women and children.

So ask questions about people’s homes. Meritage has an online work order submission. It will only allow 1 work order at a time. If they do respond to fix it they leave the ticket open and you cannot submit another till they close it. They create stories and place blame to get out of repairs. It is almost impossible to find an email, phone number or address to try to talk to someone when you need help. This company is difficult. For the price you pay you expect a move in ready new home. Not cheapest materials, poor workmanship and unfinished home.

Most all of this neighborhood moved into unfinished homes due to lazy workers, we are spending our first year trying to get our homes finished or repaired. It has been a disappointing expensive construction zone inside and outside the home. Pretty houses but not the quality or helpfulness they advertise. Especially for the half a million dollar homes they sell. I do not recommend Meritage at all. It is turning into a legal battle for repairs. If anyone who has made the mistake we have by going with Meritage and has and emails or phone numbers or addresses. PLEASE post them. Meritage sucks.

Original review: May 24, 2018

We bought our home at Cotten Place in Morrisville, NC - there are few good things about Meritage (like using spray foam) but are far outweighed by the negatives. 1. Poor quality trees. 90% of the trees in my community are dead or pretty close to die. 2. Even within the one year warranty period - they refused to replace my dead trees. 3. Not trustworthy, the construction manager will give you a rosy picture - till he gets your signatures & then will not respond to your emails!

4. They broke sections of my curb towards the end of my construction, never replaced. There are some good associates but in general, at least my construction manager was a big liar!

Original review: May 15, 2018

My home was built in 2013 by Meritage Homes in Converse, Texas. The home that was built was rated energy efficient. It was until the second year of occupancy, we started having problems with our HVAC system, a major component was replaced under warranty by Goodman (the manufacturer of the HVAC system). Then again in 2014 another part had to be replaced on the HVAC system, then again in 2017 (2) major components had to be replaced on the HVAC System.

In April 2018, the HVAC Tech (company I pay a monthly maintenance fee to) advised me that I had leaks in the compressor, but were fixed, In May 2018 I was told my system was done for, I had major problems including a major fire/health hazard from leaking oil and other major issues. I have to pay out $8,000 to replace my HVAC system due to the Meritage Homes and manufacturer both will not honor any more warranty work. The existing HVAC unit is a lemon, so buyer be aware. I have learned that this HVAC system is an older model, but our home was built in 2013.

Meritage Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

Meritage has built over 90,000 homes since its inception in 1985. All of its homes are Energy Star compliant. Meritage currently builds in nine states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. The company has been named Texas Builder of the Year five times.

• Homes for seniors available: Meritage offers an "Active Adult" package for seniors who are still active and want to move into a vibrant neighborhood, not a retirement community.

• Energy-efficient homes: Every Meritage home complies with Energy Star requirements, ensuring that homeowners will save money on their utility bills and reduce their carbon footprint.

• Luxury homes available: Those interested in living in a larger, more luxurious home can order the from company’s Monterey line of building plans.

• Offers charitable contributions as well as homes: Meritage works closely with Homes for the Homefront, a foundation that secures safe housing for veterans and military families.

• Financing options: Prospective buyers can apply for a mortgage online through MTH Mortgage, an affiliate of Meritage Homes.

• Best for: Meritage Homes is best for highly independent people, active seniors, people with special needs and environmentalists.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Meritage Homes Company Information