Meritage Homes

Meritage Homes Reviews

1.3/5 (313 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Meritage Homes Reviews

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Meritage Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?

Original review: April 29, 2022

The tile in our brand new built home (built and took possession in March, 2020) is coming up. Inspector has come out to investigate and has determined that 100%, yes 100%, of the tile needs to be ripped up and replaced. While Meritage has agreed to compensate for the faulty work, the new tile being provided is not the same size nor color as the original. We've made multiple attempts to either have Meritage pay us out and let us find a contractor of our choosing to rip and replace, or provide the same size and color of the existing tile. We have been told that none of the options above are agreeable to them.

In addition, no one has been able to put in writing what the warranty will be on the new tile work (if we allow them to proceed). How do we know that in 6-12 months the same thing won't happen again. Furthermore, no one has been able to tell us what caused the original tile issue - so ripping and replacing could not be the right option if we don't know why it happened in the first place. At this point, we are at an impasse. Note: We understand that there are other newly built homes that are experiencing the same issue- with tile coming up from the floor.

Original review: April 22, 2022

Purchased a home after losing the home we wanted due to their sales strategy. Home construction quality was so bad, they had to redo the driveway, bathtub in send BATH was used and drain rings rusted. Final walk was a joke, the worst thing about this builder is their HOA so restrictive and ignorant to see the least. They allow new home owners to rent their own home monthly weekly is not allowed they will not share HOA rules until you close almost a scam and fraud company. They should not be allowed to build homes anywhere in the state of Florida. One star for these people is too high. They don’t have good anything at all… 10 times worst than DR Horton and 8 times worst than Lennar. I was so dissatisfied and still upset with these people. I believe they are stuck on stupid or redefining stupidity.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2022

We have had multiple Air conditioning companies come out over the last 2 years to tell us that our 2nd floor unit was not built correctly. There should have been 3 units on this home due the size. Meritage skimp on this. We have owned the home for 2 years and have been having problems since the beginning. At this time we have been told that the system Zone board and Dampers are not responding. We have had this replaced twice already. Therefore there is something wrong with this particular LENNOX system if it continues to burn out the zone boards and dampers and evaporator coil. We are also being told that there is no Bypass damper on the system. This should have been placed when the system was installed. Also the 3rd floor thermostat is not compatible with the system.

It is very frustrating that these companies can get away with not installing equipment properly. There is no way for a consumer to be able to find out this kind of information prior to purchasing. An inspector would not even be able to determine that parts are missing. The home comes with a warranty but not on the A/C units. I purchased an extended warranty and they still don't want to cover. There is really no way to repair this system that they installed. It need to be trashed. Meritage also had us considered in a flood zone. None of the neighbors are. This is more of a waste of money because FEMA is requiring an elevation certificate... Those cost to get an engineer to come out to provide this. More money out of pocket.

Original review: April 15, 2022

I bought a house on December 2020 from them and when I Bought the house they told me after 1 year they would come back to walk thru the house again and fix anything I found wrong in the house. Well since I never heard from them I decided to contact them today and they told me since It has been over 1 year they can't do anything about it. I told them you guys never contacted me and they told me I was the one that had to call them, well that's not what they told me when I bought the house. Now I'm stuck with a new house with a bunch of stuff that needs to be fixed since they rush thru everything when building a house and use cheap material and their labor people they use don't care about anything and don't build anything with quality. Wish I had come here to read reviews before I bought my house. Do yourself a favor and don't buy a house from them unless you want to pay premium price for a house and get cheap stuff.

Original review: April 9, 2022

4 months after buying a single-family home, we are still waiting for items to be finished. Meritage builds low-quality homes as fast as possible with as much profit as possible. Their main concern is building and selling the next home - new buyers are quickly forgotten. They take full advantage of a buyers market. When we put down our earnest money over a year ago, we were warned by our sales agent not to cause any trouble during building or our deal would be cancelled. Unless you’re desperate for a home, I’d advise staying away from this greedy company where customer service is non-existent.

Original review: March 9, 2022

Updated on 03/11/2022: I wanted to write an update to explain my improved rating. While I did experience the concerns and complaints in my prior review; I was able to speak with the Area Construction Manager and others in the company. After speaking with them, my concerns were addressed in an efficient manner to my liking and satisfaction. If you decide to build with Meritage, hopefully you will have a smoother process than I did, but I can appreciate that my concerns were ultimately addressed.

Original Review: Literally the worst home buying experience I have ever had. At first, the communication with the sales agent was good; I was receiving updates about the progress of my new construction home. At then all of a sudden, it went south. I stopped receiving communication from the sales agent about the progress of my home; I had to use a different lender than the preferred lender because of bad customer service and them being unwilling to give me the mortgage rate of the day; the closing date was pushed back without me being informed or as to why; and Meritage’s representatives, like Brian **, lie (more on this later). Meritage only cares about selling a home, they don’t care about the quality of the work they do or if you are satisfied.

You do not want to use their lender. You will want to hire your own home inspector. But above all, you will want a different home builder, unless you have no other option. I wanted to back out because I didn’t like the customer service or their willingness to address my concerns about the house; I was willing to lose my deposit. The only reason I didn’t is because Brian ** told me that if I had issues in the first 30 days, let him know and he would take care of it. This was a lie and I’m convinced he only said it so he wouldn’t get a bad review from me on the survey when I closed on my home. This was the worst experience ever and if I were you, I would save myself the headache and go with someone else like First Texas, Trophy, or DR Horton.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

If I could leave ZERO STARS I WOULD. I am so fed up with Meritage and their "customer service". All they want is their money and to get homes up as fast as possible. They don't care about the quality of work. They claim that they will fix anything wrong in the first year and all you have to do is submit a claim. However if you do not take a picture of every little stinking problem they will only take care of just what you have in the picture. Ex. I have a HUGE crack in my ceiling. That was the main problem. Drywall people came out and rather than them fixing the additional cracks and drywall problems they say well you only send pictures of the crack in the ceiling. Since the manual only covers drywall 1 time. They will not fix any other drywall problems.

I have had my home only 1 yr and I have had to have more work done on my home in this first year then I had to when I had a home for 5 yrs. Ridiculous. There are so many more cracks in the stucco. The guy repair so many more because he felt he needed to because they were That Bad!!!! Do not Believe any positive review. They encourage you to leave a Raving Review so that you can "possibly" win gift cards.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2022

I'm not writing this review to bash Meritage Homes. I'm writing it to protect you, the consumer! So listen and read the review. Then ponder what's being said. Make your purchase based on knowledge and intellect, NOT EMOTION. First, let me tell you why I'm qualified to make the statements below. Also understand that regardless of experience, times change, markets fluctuate, products become scarce, and costs increase. But these are not reasons to gouge the consumer. Everything is based on opinion. But it's "time under the bar" that qualifies a person to have certain opinions. If you've never walked the walk, then it's difficult to talk the talk.

I own upwards of twenty rental properties around the country. I've had several New Builds over the last 20-25 years in two different states. Please listen to what I'm saying here. Meritage Homes cuts corners in many ways that make the overall quality of their product below average or poor and cause YOU, the consumer, to spend significant money that maybe you shouldn't spend.

Look closely before buying a Meritage Home in Colorado. You will get a SALES PITCH on how efficient and good their homes are. You may be told that a lot of Meritage employees live in a Meritage Home. Listen to these things with caution. Understand that when a sales person tells you something, there is a good possibility that you are being given a "half truth." When money is involved, there is ALWAYS an incentive to sell. Don't overly focus on aesthetics.

Do your homework and look very closely at the quality of work and the quality of all products they use. Don't just look at the most prominent features like a quartz countertop and nice design. Look more closely at things like quality light fixtures, cabinet doors (are they soft close?), placement of lighting: is there lighting where it should be and not where it shouldn't? Are there medicine cabinets? Is there cabinetry in places that should have it? Are there handles on cabinet doors, quality of flooring, etc? What's the quality of the carpet and the pad underneath.

Your mind will probably want to focus on appearance and aesthetics. Look deeper. Check out the leveling of flooring in the garage and other concrete areas. Are there soft spots where the interior floors were installed? Don't let them tell you the soft spots are because the plank vinyl they use are "Floating floors." Do the research and find out how floating floors work.

These are fundamental things to pay attention to. Some of the problems that have surfaced in my home and homes of my neighbors are far more detailed. Many things may come up that you didn't expect until you've lived in the home for a while. Things will begin to appear. Some of this stuff is normal in a new build. Most is because Meritage has cut corners and perhaps not used quality vendors.

Good employees are hard to find these days. That's a problem Meritage Homes, as a business, needs to deal with. Not YOU, as a consumer, who is possibly making one of the biggest purchases of your life. There is always a trickle-down effect to problems we face in the housing industry. DON'T LET A COMPANY LIKE MERITAGE HOMES PLAY THE VICTIM!!! They will leave you holding the bag while their business profits.

Finally, I purchased a Meritage Home and probably would have purchased in my area again. But I want to be very clear about this. I did NOT purchase my home because I thought Meritage Homes was as good as they will tell you they are. My reason for purchasing is because of the location. I recognized most of the "corner cuts" and the sales pitch. I made a conscious decision to purchase. Maybe it was a good one, maybe it wasn't. Time will be the judge. If you do the same, then that's your decision. Just don't be fooled by their **. Figure out what's right for you based on the "totality" of the circumstances. It's a matter of checks and balances. Best of luck.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

Meritage Homes has infuriating plumbing problems. My toilets clog way too often in my shower. Drains cannot last a day without being unclogged. The sinks are the same way. I feel as if I am being as careful as I can to take care of my home, but living like this is awful. I would not recommend buying.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

We were so excited to purchase a new build from Meritage Homes and couldn’t wait to start the build of our dream home. My wife’s parents purchased two new builds from Meritage Homes in the past and had a great experience on both of them. So, of course, we thought we would too. We were wrong! This has been a disaster from day one! We signed in Dec 2020, and work really didn’t get started until March. Once the project started moving, I thought ok great. Now we are rocking and rolling.

Kyle, our sales point of contact informed us we would get weekly updates on the build process and ensured us we had the best Construction Manager they had to offer (of course we do!). We meet Jesse, he informed us the anticipated close date would be end of Aug, but he would try his best to hit July. This of course got us excited to think he was really on the job and going to do the best he can.

The weekly emails started off with just enough information to make us want more. I was very thankful, polite, and was looking forward to weekly emails. As the project moved on, we flew through ground prep, framing, plumbing, rough electric, etc. I thought wow this project is really moving! That is when the whole project halted for 3 MONTHS!!! The project had failed framing and plumbing inspections. The weekly emails turned into every other week. The status of the project was a cut and paste from week to every other week, ‘we are working on framing and plumbing issues’. I live close enough to the project site, I went out pretty much every other date. Nothing had been touched for months!!

Finally after 3 month delay, the framing and plumbing issues had been ‘fixed’. Project started moving along again and the new close date went from Aug, to Sept, October, and now Nov (may be Dec or later). Emails from Jesse pretty much stopped. I had to email him early Oct to ensure our close date was still good. Jesse informed me, Oct was not going to work and the close date had been pushed to Nov 15. This was frustrating due to NO ONE INFORMING ME about this change. We extended our lease on the apartment to month-to-month, due to the September close date that was relayed back in Aug. If we had known it was going to be Nov now we could have signed a 3 month lease and saved us hundreds of dollars. We have to pay an extra $500 a month going to month-to-month lease.

The three month delay has cost us over $3000 in leasing premiums, missed work due to having to re-schedule international travel dates around the closing date moving. If we miss the latest close date of Nov 15th we will have two weeks before we are out of our lease and have to find a new solution and I am not sure there will be an option to do it again.

I contacted Kyle on Nov 1 to confirm the Nov 15th close date. He called Jesse to find out the status of the project and informed me we ‘MAYBE’ will close on the 15th due to they don’t have an AC unit for our home and we cannot close without it. Reminder, I don’t get weekly updates anymore. I have no timeline on when they will be able to source an AC until and we can move into our new home. We have contacted our leasing office to see if we could extend our lease for another month, only to find out the until has already been rented for December. This is VERY impactful due to both of us working from home. It would cause us thousands of dollars to find a new place with a short term lease, missed work, moving, deposits, utility services, etc.

I’m sure you can see how any additional delays only add to the financial losses we have suffered so far. I am sure if we miss the Nov 15th close date, the total cost of delays will end up being over $10,000 on our end. I am so extremely disappointed in the process dealing with Meritage Homes. I had such great hopes and dreams about moving into our new home, now I just dread every contact with Kyle or Jesse (when I make contact with them!!). Our dream home has turned into a nightmare I can't wait to wake up from!!

Meritage Homes author review by Joseph Truini

Meritage has built over 90,000 homes since its inception in 1985. All of its homes are Energy Star compliant. Meritage currently builds in nine states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. The company has been named Texas Builder of the Year five times.

• Homes for seniors available: Meritage offers an "Active Adult" package for seniors who are still active and want to move into a vibrant neighborhood, not a retirement community.

• Energy-efficient homes: Every Meritage home complies with Energy Star requirements, ensuring that homeowners will save money on their utility bills and reduce their carbon footprint.

• Luxury homes available: Those interested in living in a larger, more luxurious home can order the from company’s Monterey line of building plans.

• Offers charitable contributions as well as homes: Meritage works closely with Homes for the Homefront, a foundation that secures safe housing for veterans and military families.

• Financing options: Prospective buyers can apply for a mortgage online through MTH Mortgage, an affiliate of Meritage Homes.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Advisor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Meritage Homes Company Information