1.22/5
Based on 187 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Find a recommended home builder & developer now

240 Meritage Homes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 18, 2018

If you're considering building with Meritage - run. I understand you get what you pay for when your price per square foot is under $100. The major issue is once the sales is complete, good luck getting anything done and expect being lied to on a consistent basis. They have the warranty work they do but getting that done is like pulling teeth from a baby. From day 1, I told our construction supervisor the grading of yard was terrible. We're at the end of a cul-de-sac and below street level.

Needless to say we get a ton of water here in SC. Their solution was to run a ditch in the front yard. When it rained, we had an obvious creek running through. That did not work so they put in a trough (not even a catch basin) with a 4 inch pipe and piped it half way to the side of yard. That system could not keep up with the rain either. I had enough and paid over $5000.00 to fix the issue. This is just 1 of a ton of issues we have had with our house. Decent house at a decent price point. If you expect any help after you move you, you're gonna be greatly disappointed. I have never written a review to slam a company but my hope is to save others the misery my family has been through for the past 3 yrs. DO NOT CONSIDER BUILDING WITH THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: July 13, 2018

Our home in Hammock Park Oviedo. Just a list of issues. Lazy workers, rush to close, trash everywhere, Taco Bell bag painted to side of home, unfinished work at closing, tools, trash, etc under the turf. Towel rack and toilet paper holders fell off walls, odd place light switches, never set the master tub, it was loose and would not seal closed, bugs and dirt in grout in showers, broken tiles and sharp screws in drain in showers. No grout in tile floors, did not seal glass showers, all trim and doors in entire home with different paint shade from white to light yellow, doors warped not sanded, dirt in paint, instead of correctly sized trim, 15 small pieces nailed together, seams showing, did not fill nail holes. Watered down paint. Doorway cut irregular doors do not fit or hasn’t properly, door knobs fell apart, low flow toilets do not work properly, some facing had weird circles in it.

For customer service: salespeople nice but cannot help, building manager Mike. Slow response, forgets, makes things up, can be disrespectful. He is never in a rush to help. Basically he could care less. His workers also could care less, if they show up they are clueless, unprepared for an repair. American Door is awful, rude disrespectful, hard to get them out and do an awful job. Garbage is left to blow around the neighborhood by the construction crew. Their personal trash and construction trash. Mike their manager just blows it off. Say, "What you going to do. They are cheap labor," and he said he can’t control that. He can - he is the site manager! He does not manage. The construction crew is sketchy and stare at the women and children.

So ask questions about people’s homes. Meritage has an online work order submission. It will only allow 1 work order at a time. If they do respond to fix it they leave the ticket open and you cannot submit another till they close it. They create stories and place blame to get out of repairs. It is almost impossible to find an email, phone number or address to try to talk to someone when you need help. This company is difficult. For the price you pay you expect a move in ready new home. Not cheapest materials, poor workmanship and unfinished home.

Most all of this neighborhood moved into unfinished homes due to lazy workers, we are spending our first year trying to get our homes finished or repaired. It has been a disappointing expensive construction zone inside and outside the home. Pretty houses but not the quality or helpfulness they advertise. Especially for the half a million dollar homes they sell. I do not recommend Meritage at all. It is turning into a legal battle for repairs. If anyone who has made the mistake we have by going with Meritage and has and emails or phone numbers or addresses. PLEASE post them. Meritage sucks.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: May 24, 2018 We bought our home at Cotten Place in Morrisville, NC - there are few good things about Meritage (like using spray foam) but are far outweighed by the negatives. 1. Poor quality trees. 90% of the trees in my community are dead or pretty close to die. 2. Even within the one year warranty period - they refused to replace my dead trees. 3. Not trustworthy, the construction manager will give you a rosy picture - till he gets your signatures & then will not respond to your emails!

4. They broke sections of my curb towards the end of my construction, never replaced. There are some good associates but in general, at least my construction manager was a big liar!

Original review: May 15, 2018

My home was built in 2013 by Meritage Homes in Converse, Texas. The home that was built was rated energy efficient. It was until the second year of occupancy, we started having problems with our HVAC system, a major component was replaced under warranty by Goodman (the manufacturer of the HVAC system). Then again in 2014 another part had to be replaced on the HVAC system, then again in 2017 (2) major components had to be replaced on the HVAC System.

In April 2018, the HVAC Tech (company I pay a monthly maintenance fee to) advised me that I had leaks in the compressor, but were fixed, In May 2018 I was told my system was done for, I had major problems including a major fire/health hazard from leaking oil and other major issues. I have to pay out $8,000 to replace my HVAC system due to the Meritage Homes and manufacturer both will not honor any more warranty work. The existing HVAC unit is a lemon, so buyer be aware. I have learned that this HVAC system is an older model, but our home was built in 2013.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I too was skeptical of Meritage Homes after reading the reviews in 2016, however due to the increase of home rentals, my husband and I decided to go for it. We chose a community and Canton, GA and the experience had its high's and low's. Our sale person was WONDERFUL (Trisha **)! We had a few issues with construction (Variance issues, change of contractors). I do however feel badly for anyone purchasing after 2016, because Meritage has changed their look and prices and you get a lot less for more money. I do love my home, I have been in it for 1 year. I had to use the warranty once regarding my AC and did not have any problems. Could the construction crew use more care in building? Absolutely! I completely understand why folks would be uneasy... Meritage Homes could use A LOT of improvements but as for me, I am happy with the end results. Guess I was one of the lucky ones!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?

Original review: April 24, 2018

Meritage Homes routed the Electrical cable as diagonal line in my backyard instead of follow the U.E. I asked them right after I saw it (my house has not closed yet) but they ask me to pay up to $2,500 for extra 24 ft electrical cable. They never tried to fix whatever they mistaken.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I should have went with my gut after reading all the reviews which I asked the sales lady about. She made excuses for the reviews with fast talk and continued to rush us into the contract and getting our EM. With an uneasy thought but also excited to be purchasing, the numbers started to add up. After thinking it over for one day we immediately called back and said that we didn't have a good feeling and that we were going to withdraw. She tried to stall and told us that maybe there is something they could do to make us satisfied. Well while she was stalling, I immediately cancelled my check.

Once she finally came back, she stated that there was nothing they could give us for a better deal and they wasn't going to give us our money back after only one day. I said, "Oh no worries. Check was cancelled so goodbye scam artist! Haha!" Then the nerve, they tried to email us to sign saying we owe them that money. Do we look like fools. Got them before they got us!

Original review: March 28, 2018

Don’t buy a Meritage Home without reading reviews! If you’re looking to build a new home, avoid this company. It’s amazing that a class action suit hasn’t been brought due to poor quality. They mass grade land and change water drainage on backfilled land. The foundations crack, walls are missing insulation, building material is found buried in the yard, etc. Do yourself a favor and avoid, they won’t honor warranty and leave you hanging after walkthrough.

Original review: March 28, 2018

After putting down an earnest money deposit a week later the sales guy told us we were able to get our EM back. The checks had not been cashed. He said it would take 2 weeks. Here we are a month later no check back. Josh at Carter Grove has told me he refuses to give me the number or email to management. Beware of this guy. He will tell you what you want to hear and then screw you over in the end.

Original review: March 23, 2018

Ray Turner was the team leader of our realtor who worked under him. We signed a contract and placed a deposit down on a new build with Meritage Homes. Meritage Homes failed to disclose that a privacy fence was being erected that would completely block the water views behind our home. They were charging us $21,000 for a premium lot that we would not be getting. Meritage Homes told us they had no idea a fence was going up before selling the home to us. It has since been proven (after we were forced to close on the home) by an attorney that Meritage Homes did know about the fence and failed to disclose the pertinent information to potential buyers.

As soon as we saw the fence and only a week after they cashed our deposit, we asked for a refund of our deposit and to be released from contract. The builder refused so Ray Turner offered to call upper management in Meritage Homes on our behalf. We were told by his employee that she witnessed his call to Meritage requesting a refund and release from contract. He stated they denied his request as well. Meritage is denying to our attorney that we ever requested a refund or release from contract. Our realtor, Ray Turner's employee, wrote a letter on our behalf confirming the call Mr. Turner made in her presence.

Mr. Turner refused to write a letter or sign his name to her letter. When the builder's attorney contacted Ray Turner to validate his employee's claim, he told the attorney that he had no recollection of the call and even lied about other events. His employee told because he was just branching out in his own business, Turner Real Estate Network in Bradenton, FL, he didn't want to get involved or hurt any relationship he had with Meritage Homes since he has sold many homes for them and made a lot of money working with them. He either lied to us or lied to the attorneys. Either way, he is in breach of duty and openly deceived us for his own profits. We will be reporting him and Meritage Homes representatives to the appropriate licensing boards. I hope to inform others so they can protect themselves from these deceptive realtors and builders.

Original review: March 13, 2018

After signing a contract on a move-in ready home and paying a deposit, we found out that the beautiful water view we paid for was going to be blocked by a privacy fence. The water view was the reason we chose the home. Meritage's representatives (Chris **, Vicky **, Michael **) refused to release us from the contract and refund our deposit. They continued to lie stating they had no prior knowledge that a privacy fence would be erected blocking our home and many others from the premium water views for which we paid. It was too late for us to purchase another home without the additional funds and they threatened us with the contract language. We have since found out that they did know about the fence going up long before we signed the contract and failed to disclose it to potential buyers.

In fact, other homeowners had already contacted them via a lawyer after finding out about the fence, but Meritage still failed to inform us about it or release us from our contract. And now they are lying by denying we ever asked to be released. The fraudulent, disgusting way in which they purposely mislead us as well as other homeowners/buyers and continue to openly lie about it in order to protect themselves and their profits is simply vile. We plan to report them and contact the media - a lawyer has already been hired. We hope to protect future buyers from going through what we and many others in our development are going through. I continue to be shocked at the lengths this company will go to in order to sell a home. Tampa Bay, Bradenton, Sarasota areas - Stay away. Do not purchase a new home through Meritage Homes.

Original review: March 9, 2018

We bought a brand new home in August 2016 and the home was originally closed on March 2 2016. The Builder is Meritage Homes - Charlotte. We have Two years Plumbing Warranty on the home. Best Buy has installed a new Dishwasher in February 15th 2018 and due to their negligent handling of the hot water pipe or a mere coincidence of touching the damaged pipe, On February 16th 2018, there was a leak flooding kitchen and breakfast room and partly the living room.

We immediately called Best Buy Installers and they looked at it and said the leak was underneath the concrete and it didn't happen due to their installation. We immediately called Builder Agent, and he came and looked at it and has ordered repairs but when we informed that the dishwasher was just installed then he immediately put the blame on the Best Buy Installers and cancelled repairs and said it is the fault from Best Buy installers who handled the water pipe wrong. After builder left, we got a plumber and he digged thru the concrete and noticed the leak was under the concrete. Best Buy didn't dig the concrete to install the dishwasher. They just connected dishwasher water pipe to the hot water pipe that leaked under the concrete.

We also contacted Best Buy that the leak was noticed after the installation and no leak before that. Best Buy claim that it is a coincidence. So, just for holding to connect hot water pipe to dishwasher pipe if the hot water pipe break in the concrete. Meritage should know the quality of their contractor work done for home just less than 2 years ago. The pipe before removing by plumber - we have taken the pictures and how depth they dig to identify the leak was also videotaped and several pictures taken from the start. I have submitted all to Builder and also Best Buy. The plumber report suggested, the damaged pipe underneath the concrete (pex cuts) may be from construction

Based on the plumber report, Best Buy denied the claim. Meritage verbally denied the claim that it is the fault from Best Buy installers and there was no leak before installation. I have asked for written confirmation as we need to submit that for lawsuit on all related parties. The plumber's impression and his report about the damages was related to defective pipes used during the construction but Builder claims that it passed all codes and it is only caused by the way the way the Best Buy Installer handled the pipe.

Again, Best Buy representative opined the leak is under the concrete and looks like it might have got discovered when Best Buy installed the dishwasher. The report from restoration company did identify Mold near the leak and not sure for how long that has been forming. Before approaching court, I thought of asking for help here as Meritage Homes who are playing blame game and escaping from the responsibility of the damages caused to our home in our 2 year warranty period. Earlier also there are also some blueprint items missing in the construction of this home and Meritage Homes simply ignored for reasons they change all the time and not valid at all.

Original review: March 7, 2018

We have built three new homes in the past 10 years and have worked with three different builders. Meritage is BY FAR the worst. The products they use in the homes are inferior, the customer service is horrible, and all they care about is taking your money. They try to close our warranties before doing the work, and try to coerce you into signing forms saying they repaired things. We have been in our house for less than three years and have had nothing but trouble. We are now potentially looking at lawyers because they have stopped responding. We never had this type of workmanship or trouble with the other two houses. It is a disgrace!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

My experience with Meritage Homes has been horrible from the very beginning! They told us our house would be the complete opposite of what we seen during our walkthrough. Mold covers the home, poor craftsmanship, poor quality, a busted water heater PRIOR to even closing (red flag), horrible customer service from the few we dealt with. Do your research prior to signing anything!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Stay away! The Meritage Homes - Buffalo Highlands Commerce City CO seem nice for a reasonable price but the salespeople are con artists. They will literally say anything to draw you in and then try to lock you into contracts that will allow them to steal your money. We tried to work with Linda who told us so many things that were not true. When we would find out what she had told us was not true and call her on it, she would immediately get defensive and try to cover herself. She literally told us something different every time we talked to her. Then when we tried to get past all of that and move forward on a house she tried to lock us into a contract where they could charge us $250/day if our current home didn't sell the exact day they wanted it to. This community also doesn't work with you at all on options for the house. No options at all. They pick colors, finishes, everything and won't budge at all. Buyer beware!!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

We are in the process of the building experience with Meritage Homes in Canton, Ga. Hickory Mill. This is an absolute nightmare. Every phase of construction has been a disaster. They have the worst subcontractors in the industry. None of these subcontractors are capable or qualified to be in this business. Starting with the roofers that did not install the roofing material correctly. The ceramic tile in our bath has been demolished and redone three times and they are now in the process of doing it for the fourth time. How could anyone consider that acceptable? The weather turned cold so they turned on the furnace. I came in the house and it smelled like a fire inside and we discovered that the paper manual for the furnace was inside of it and it caught fire and the burned paper was pushed through the duct system. I have told the builder that I expect the furnace and all of the ductwork to be replaced as I will not buy this home after a fire in the furnace.

The wood floors were not installed correctly, there are gaps at the baseboards and they have tried to fill that space with caulking as their fix for this. All of the interior trim and paintwork is horrible. I have not seen anything in this home that I can say was completed by a qualified contractor. None of the workers in this home care about the quality of the work that they do. I do not want to own this home. I am going to take my concerns and my photos to the CEO, Steve Hilton. I do not intend to spend 320k for a home as poorly constructed as this.

I have construction experience and I could have built this house myself and done a much better job than any of these contractors. Something else I have noticed is most of the trades that are working on these homes do not show up with a logo on their truck. I don't know where they find these people but it is obvious they are interested in building a quality home. I am looking to cancel my contract on this home and get my deposit back so I don't have to suffer through years of problems as most of those that have posted their own horrific experiences.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

We have had 3 homes built from pre-construction and Meritage Homes is the WORST. Very poor craftsman-ship. Cheap material and the workers (sub-contractors) they hire are extremely non professional. So this is a warning, if you buy a home from this builder, you will be very very dis-satisfied.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

We built our home and closed on it in May 2014. We are already dealing with a leak in the wall and Meritage says that pipes are only covered for 2 years. I do not understand why they would not stand by their product and fix it because we should not have to deal with a leak in the wall after 3 years of ownership. The foam installation sounds good but it's not. Our walls are paper thin and you can hear everything. We rarely use the heat but when we do the electric bill nearly doubles because it uses more electricity and no gas which would have been cheaper. I could go on and on but overall I am not satisfied with the lack of quality.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Our newly built home sat untouched for over a month prior to closing and then our closing was delayed twice because the home was not ready. The whole house needed re-sanding and re-painting - still not satisfactory but we went ahead and closed after promises were made. Those promises were not kept and now we'll end up suing the company because of it. BUYER BEWARE!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I would proceed with caution if you choose to build a home with Meritage. They are not in the business of building quality homes that last, however they are in the business of building homes as fast as they can to make money. After 1 year we had stucco cracking on our home, not uncommon unless the cracks run on an angle, this indicates workmanship defects. Settling cracks run straight. As other have described nails in the walls in just about every room are exposed. In one bathroom the water was hooked up backwards, a contractor came out at no cost to correct. After cutting a large hole in the bedroom wall to get to the bathroom switching the lines, another contractor came to tape and mud, no one ever came to paint. We purchased new light fixtures for the bathrooms and they could not be installed due to the inability to mount.

The circular hole was cut for the builder grade fixture. However when the holes did not line up the Meritage contractor drilled the backplate into the drywall, you would never know unless you wanted to make a change. We purchased a new chandler for the foyer, when the contractor came to install (which is high up so scaffolding was required) the ceiling mount was not designed or installed to handle anything over 5 pounds. The stucco accents between the first and second story were poorly installed and after 2 years allow water into the home. We hired a stucco repairman who stated, this will happen again because the paper, backing and flashing were not installed correctly. After Hurricane Irma in the garage was running down the walls exposed to the outside, meaning we could see because the concrete block is exposed. Around most windows there we leaks of various proportions.

The bottoms of our kitchen cabinets have now expanded and show bubbling/blistering from water that came in. We file a claim with our homeowners. Their report stated mainly water damage appears to be from "poor workmanship, defects or wear and tear near windows and home openings." I have lived in plenty of homes that do not have this type of wear and tear at a handful of years. When we spoke to other homeowners in our community oddly enough the stories are the same, leaky entryways, windows, kitchens and garages. We built a new home so we could live in it comfortably knowing what was behind the walls. Last thing, the open core energy efficient insulation sprayed in the block and attic holds water like a sponge, we expect mold. Meritage does not care and their candid response is "please review your warranty manual for coverage... we are not responsible."

After you close and within the first year they have minimal exposure then they have zero. We certainly did not believe we would be hiring engineers and contractors to make our home a place the entire family feels healthy. You might say hire a lawyer, we spoke with several and finding a smoking gun from water damage and pulling samples from stucco gets expensive quickly, they suggested we were better off to spend the money repairing. Imagine making a large purchase that you believe will last for a lifetime with major upkeep needed at year 5 to be spending that money at year 2. It certainly was not in our game plan to have major restoration/renovation bills atop the mortgage. Please heed the warnings here made by myself and others, should you choose Meritage Homes.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Meritage Homes in San Antonio is a really terrible builder. The homes they build are rushed and not put together well at all. They are very messy and irresponsible. I have found bottles and beer cans under my new grass that they put there instead of in the trash. LAZY!!! While installing AC of neighbor house they drove and parked in my frontyard leaving holes and tire marks that they never fixed after it being brought to their attention. The painting of our home was horrendous. Trim was painted with no lines at all. Just painted with it getting on the siding as well. They drew inappropriate pictures in pencil on my window frames and that was never fixed after they said they would clean that up. I've had so many problems with my new house that they would look at and sweep under the rug. So many emails back and forth about them wanting to come out and I would schedule appointments and they would not show up.

I had patches in my walls for over a year before I finally just fixed them myself because of them not coming out. I've had problems with my floors, paint, water leaks, windows, doors, cabinets, masonry, sod, fencing, hardware fixtures. They used the wrong color mortar that I paid extra for and instead of fixing it they just covered it with the right color and of course it is falling off exposing the old color. They put siding up that is not even painted. Talking with warranty department they just say, "Oh well it is past a year so it's not our problem." Of course during closing they said everything you wanted to hear. If it was for us not having a place to stay I would have not closed before this was taken care of like they promised they would when we moved in.

Meritage is all about themselves and getting it closed to screw over someone else. They are suppose to come back out before the year is over and of course that was not done. Just about every neighbor I talk to has the same experience. As soon as I can sell for a profit I will if possible to get out and get with a quality builder. As a first time home buyer Meritage has made this experience the worst ever. I hope others will buy elsewhere and stay away from Meritage Homes as they are one of the worst builders ever. Same can be said for their customer service. PLEASE CHOOSE WISELY AND BEWARE OF BUILDERS LIKE MERITAGE!!!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

My husband and I had our home built in May of 2006. Since that time of residing in our home, we noticed how poorly the workmanship and quality of our home was built. We had issues about many defects in the way our home was built. Meritage has all of our complaints. Some things were corrected but as the years progressed more issues needed attention that was evident that the builders used materials that were not of good quality. We can name a few things: 20012, part of the roof had to be repaired which caused a leak in our bedroom. We were told that it was not covered under the warranty. In 2014, the kitchen sink was dropping, which they repaired. Unfortunately, it dropped again in July of 2017. The sink was not covered because they said it was over 10 years of the warranty. Our rebuttal was the repair was not done correctly within the warranty. We had to incurred another expense to get that fixed.

We had to redo some of the walls which was not painted evenly with the stucco style. The windows had to be resealed because the sealor the builder used was cheap and was not sealed properly. As a result, windows leaked and caused mold which had to be repaired and corrected. One of the vanity sinks have to be replaced due to scratches in the sink. We've been trying to replace it but have not been successful yet. Also the large mirrors have to be replaced due to gas escaping from the bottom which left the bottom of the mirrors black. Our house was built in 2006. There should not be all of these repairs to be done to the house. My husband and I would not buy another home from Meritage Homes. The houses appear beautiful but the quality is not up to par. We would not recommend them to our family, friends or associates. Considering the price we paid for our home, you would expect better quality. We are very disappointed!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

Purchased a new build in the Orlando area. Very disappointed with the construction materials Heritage home uses. Paid extra for upgraded carpet. After 6 months the carpet has buckled twice! HVAC unit was installed with defective coils. Meritage will not pay for the $2000 repair. This issues are community wide. Garage carriage lights have faded away to the primer. Oven temp is off. The outside upper porch roof is some sort of spayed drywall. After a year of living in the home, some of the drywall has fallen off so you can see the nails. Overall paid over $300000 for new home with cheapest products in it. Also uses the cheapest aluminum fencing that code will allow. Easy to bend and doesn't hold up well. Wish I would have looked more into the reviews and not relied on what they told me. Would have chosen another builder. They don't stand behind their homes

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

We bought a home 2 yrs back with Meritage and the sales person walked us through our lot and quoted a premium price for the lot selling that there will be no home coming behind us back to back and there is land placeholder in between with trees left out to create privacy. This morning the construction guys cut off most of the trees and tried to pull out a tree whose roots were in our background underneath the fence and broke our fence. They tried to patch it up quickly when I starting questioning them if they took any permissions. The construction manager came with a lot map saying there is no such open area as per the plan and he does not any such thing. I tried to reach the sales office but had no luck with any response.

I tried to walk down to their sales office and one of the sales person ask me to "get out" or will call cops as she did not want me on in the office discussing this issue while selling to new customer making them scapegoats. 2nd issue: While under construction, we felt the drive way was too steep compared to any other drive way around in our community and when asked the construction manager, he simply said this is how you would get as is the land. Later I learned that they want to get around the work. They could have leveled the land properly and build the drive way in the right way but they choose to do it in what ever they felt like. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND BUYING HOME WITH MERITAGE EVER.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I see a 1.5 rating in 12/16, against gut feeling went fwd and bought, it has been my worst nightmare. First don't let them bully you, get a lawyer from the start of closing to protect you. Worth every penny, home quality - Everything is crooked, I mean everything lighting, walls, it was crazy on pre-closing, we were always bullied to sign all the way through. Our builder has 15 homes, very poor supervision, quality of home in 2017 Florida is just crazy poor, they don’t care.

Their goal is pop up home, they will tell you warranty dept. will step in hahhh. It’s taken over 2 month get solar still not running. 2 month to get a lawn issue fixed still. Doors don’t close. They will not come in to shave, everything is a hassle. You will need to schedule your, I think they cheat on the quality and service to build a home that looks good but has poor quality or craftsmanship. Best part they are illegals building these homes. No safety harness. Work hard but Meritage hires them all... Do you think the money goes back to America or out? FYI the game is to get you to sign so the employee gets credit and his bonus. Be wise, inspect. Take time to look at what is being signed, don’t be bullied to close. I didn’t get a 250 a day fine.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

Hi, my Overall experience with Meritage Homes so far is very very bad. I would strongly recommend not to opt Meritage Homes Builder in Massey Lakes or any other Community or Any State in USA. I signed contract 3 weeks ago and I'm scared what I have to go through by the time I complete my Home. They have restrictions like we have to pick same color cabinets throughout the house. If we prefer a particular Color & Level cabinets in Kitchen, we have to find same color for bathroom Cabinets and if we prefer to go for low level cabinets in baths & If unfortunately if we don't find same color as kitchen cabinets then we have to change the kitchen cabinets for the sake of keeping all cabinets same color though we like & prefer to have that particular cabinets in Kitchen.

Meritage Homes design Center prices are very high when compared to Highland Homes Builders (Pomona Community in Manvel, Texas). Highland Home Builders gave me 90% of the design center option prices even before signing the contract. But Meritage doesn't give any prices or will give wrong prices for few and later say prices are revised.

Salesperson will give a price for a product and Design center will give a higher price for the same product. (Since we already signed the contract with the earnest money, there's nothing we can do now except to pay whatever they say.) If you like something in model Home or Inventory Homes, Then Salesperson will say that's not standard, design center will add you later after signing contract. Now design center sometimes says we just stopped using that product and we will be compelled to opt something out of very very few options.

I bought House in Massey Lakes Estates, Pearland, Texas. Sales Manager (Daniel) doesn't care for the customer concerns or issues. He simply says, "Do whatever you can. We will do whatever we want to. That's not your home, it's Meritage Homes and it will be yours after closing so till then we will build it the way we want to. I am not worried that you paid earnest money and that's your dream home or first home." Also he blames us for not asking information about theirs interior restrictions.

They will behave nice until you sign the contract. After that they are worried about their profits only not even try to discuss options for your dream home or first home. So, beware of Meriatge Homes. From My personal experience Highland Homes is better in terms of Quality, Prices, Services, behavior and Freedom to pick things for our home. Highland believes and feel they are building our home but from Sales manager Daniel's words Meritage Builds homes which is easier & profitable to them and least bothered about the Real owner.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

We just purchased a new home from Meritage June 2017 in Victoria Queen Creek AZ. Our kids play ball right across the street so we were able to frequently visit our home during building. A month before we were supposed to close and our new home was taking shape, we started measuring and planning for a new fridge. We measured a counter depth fridge mind you and had maybe 15 inches from the wall to where the fridge would stick out in the hallway to walk thru. Are you kidding me!! We contacted our super who came out and measured and said they messed up and will have demo from our pantry all the way to the pocket office and fix it. I can go on and on and on but the hundreds of mistakes and horrible craftsmanship but... I will tell you why I am writing this review in utter anger!!!!

My 9 year old son in his bedroom upstairs and had closed his door. His door handle failed and it locked him in the room. My daughter says, "Mom he really is locked in." I'm like okay, really I will fix this. I go up and OMG! His door was unlocked, yet when you try to open the door wouldn't budge. He literally was locked in his room! We take a deep breath so we try not to completely panic with our son locked in his room and start taking off the door handle. We get the handle off and then hit another road block! The screws are on the inside handle not outside!! So now we are passing tools under the door to our son and coaching him on what to do. He finally gets it off and yup the locking mechanism failed in the lock position. It was nothing shy of taking a hammer to it just to get it out of the locked position.

My poor baby was locked in his room about 2 hours. Are we one of the million who got a defective door lock, probably. However it goes to show you the cheap ** they put in the house. But we didn't pay a cheap price for the house and I am just furious! I did my homework before buying Meritage and ALL the big builder have bad reviews. They really do. We love our new home because there are 4 contents in the home that make it complete... my family. NOT because we got a quality built home.

A whole list of work orders to be fixed and I am hopeful they will, but tonight with my son being locked in his room just makes me furious! What if he was younger and couldn't comprehend taking the door handle off!! Just stay on top of them daily to fix what you need fixed before the warranty expires and don't let your super take the survey for you. Yah... He said, "Forward the email to me and I will complete it for you..." Are You Kidding!!!

Original review: July 9, 2017

They are so nice upfront. They are even nice up until you close. When your front porch starts sinking into the ground and you have a 9 inch gap between the foundation and ground you get a little concerned. Then the doors stop closing all the way in the house and the cabinets stop closing. Then you have water coming in from your fireplace. Do not make the mistake we did! Just say no!! We are looking at a class action lawsuit in our neighborhood. Spend the extra money and find an excellent builder.

Original review: June 23, 2017

Meritage home builder constructed brick wall without following civil standards, please see the picture added in bottom of the pole, shows having big gap. That will be an indication that brick lifetime is less and it may fall down entire wall at any time since there is an issue at the whole bottom layer of the bricks constructed.

Original review: June 2, 2017

We bought a house in Sienna Plantation, Missouri City TX this year in January 2017. I am totally unhappy and dissatisfied with my experience of buying our first dream house with Meritage Homes. Few reasons to point out, firstly they use low-quality material to construct the house and service support post-closure is zero, don't even expect any kind of support after you move-in.

I had logged a complaint with Meritage Home service support on February 28th 2017 and it's June 02nd 2017 today and none of the issues are yet resolved- neither anyone from Meritage Home is even bothered to follow-up. I have been sending reminders and trying to call the warranty manager and he does not respond to the calls.

Secondly the design center has a team who has no clue what they are offering to the buyer based on the architecture. My sales person during the initial contract signing period mentioned the house had a small patio and made us to sign the contract without any measurements of the patio. When the house was complete the patio was not even 2 feet.

Also after signing the contract when I went to the design center- they offered me for a fan connection on the patio. I agreed to the connection with the fact that patio will be a standard one. The design center team had no professional expertise and knowledge who offered for fan connection on the patio not realizing the blades of the fan will hit the side walls if I fix a fan. To cover up this issue- they fixed a light in that area. I have attached pictures- which can tell- how crazy it was to offer a fan connection- when a fan cannot even fix in that location.

Any professional design team would have advised the customer- that the patio is very small and you can't fix a fan. Also, the sales team should have advised that this is not a standard patio- it's just a 2 feet concrete area outside the house. My personal experience- Meritage Homes is not the right choice to buy your dream house- they have made us totally unhappy with purchase of first dream home.

Meritage Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

Meritage has built over 90,000 homes since its inception in 1985. All of its homes are Energy Star compliant. Meritage currently builds in nine states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. The company has been named Texas Builder of the Year five times.

• Homes for seniors available: Meritage offers an "Active Adult" package for seniors who are still active and want to move into a vibrant neighborhood, not a retirement community.

• Energy-efficient homes: Every Meritage home complies with Energy Star requirements, ensuring that homeowners will save money on their utility bills and reduce their carbon footprint.

• Luxury homes available: Those interested in living in a larger, more luxurious home can order the from company’s Monterey line of building plans.

• Offers charitable contributions as well as homes: Meritage works closely with Homes for the Homefront, a foundation that secures safe housing for veterans and military families.

• Financing options: Prospective buyers can apply for a mortgage online through MTH Mortgage, an affiliate of Meritage Homes.

• Best for: Meritage Homes is best for highly independent people, active seniors, people with special needs and environmentalists.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Meritage Homes Company Information