1.3/5 (320 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Meritage Homes

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Meritage Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

DO NOT USE THIS BUILDER!!! There is absolutely no construction oversight on these homes!… ZERO accountability…. We had no AC for a week, no hot water, tubs that didn’t drain, faucets that didn’t work, doors falling off or installed backwards, a sliding glass door that needed replaced, drywall repair everywhere, a mismatched shower enclosure, mismatched light fixtures, towel bars falling off the wall, ceiling lights completely missing, trim molding that is damaged and or splintered, chipped tiles, paint spills everywhere, etc…

AND the kitchen is awful…missing handles, missing shelves, missing trim, drawers that fall out when you open them, drawers that get stuck opening or closing them, doors that won’t close properly….it’s endless…EVEN the front door keys won’t work! They don’t care about the QUALITY of your home… This builder simply wants you to close on the home “as is” and then let you and the warranty people resolve ALL the issues 3 to 6 months later…. Total nightmare!!!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

Our community was switched from Wesley Chapel, where homes are priced significantly higher to Zephyrhills, which is a small rural city with a prison. When the change occurred they let no one out of their contracts without threatening to keep the $10,000 you are required to put down. Before, because I was living within Wesley Chapel limits, I could apply for an exception for my children to attend their wonderful schools.

Now, if I don't sell before my oldest starts school they will be going to an elementary school 5 miles from a prison. Not to mention, my husband has extreme allergies and cannot have carpet in the house, however if we put tile throughout, we will never see that money when we go to sell. On top of all of that, if our house doesn't appraise for the amount we paid for it, we are responsible for the difference. So if because we are now in Zephyrhills our house appraises for say $390,000. We are stuck paying nearly $30,000 in addition to the amount we paid for the house. When I try to ask questions, I get no response. This has turned into a nightmare.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2022

Well, where to begin. I went to sign up and was not informed that the earnest money is non refundable, which was 3000. Their loan officer is rude and doesn't have any customer service skills, she has zero empathy. She didn't return calls nor emails until I reached out to her after multiple attempts. Her excuse was that she was at lunch and doesn't call back until she gets time. I was shocked with her response. She also made me feel that I would not be able to afford the property. Be careful about the offered rates at the sales office and what actually gets approved. We were told about the rate being 5.5 at the sales office but the loan officer said that it was 7.25! You will lose your money if you cancel, and I was informed that they don't refund money. What a joke. I am glad that things didn't work out and they actually canceled the sale. I was informed by their escrow team that they have to get approval for a check refund.

From their communication they don't seem to be sure about their own process about refunds. I canceled the sale within 3 days of making the deposit and yet I had to go through so much inconvenience and anxiety. God know what would have happened if I would have moved forward. The only positive thing about them is their sales consultant Suzan, she was awesome, honest and delivered exceptional service. However, her management didn't provide good service, nor the manager made a courtesy call. Their business must be good so it seems that they don't care about customers. I am still in the market to buy a property but I don't think I would go to them again. There are a lot of new homes around too. They just lost a customer. I am still waiting for my refund.

Original review: July 9, 2022

As a first-time homebuyer, my experience with Meritage has been a nightmare. I have filed multiple warranty claims since closing on November 23, 2021. I have had issues with the doorbell chime, nails poking through the drywall, closet shelves collapsing, HVAC unit leak, caulking peeling in bathroom, chipped floor tiles, loudly banging roof vents when windy, and a water main break. The workmanship is extremely poor. Unacceptable for a brand new home. The building manager is rude, could care less, and will tell you anything to secure closing. I will NEVER again purchase a home built by Meritage. Prairie Meadows in Ocoee, Florida.

Original review: June 28, 2022

Excellent buying experience thanks to Rebecca ** and John **. Rebecca's customer service is something unique and rare, Rebecca went above and beyond from beginning to end and currently still after closing she is still helping us. Words can not explain how grateful we are and we will definitely be referring everyone to them. Good luck to all buyers if you do not go with Rebecca and John. Kristialin

Original review: June 23, 2022

Delaying the home for new reason. Even though many homes started before me, all homes completed except mine. My moving date keep on getting pushed when it comes near. No one is actively working at home to complete the finished items. Builders won't respond to the emails. I was getting told that if I find more complaints in the walk through, my home will be delayed further. Builders won't note all the complaints. I was being told that it's already passed city inspection, so we can't do anything now.

It's a horrible situation for me and no one even seems to be cared for it. No one verifies properly when the things are done. For example, when plumbing is done, there's a leakage and the entire room's carpet become wet. Because of that my home got delayed by 2-3 weeks. I am not sure why replacing carpet takes time and now because of AC issue is getting delayed. City inspection found fault with AC. I am not sure why so many issues even after building the homes from many years. These are only the few issues which I am reporting.

Original review: May 27, 2022

So many problems with our new build. Our home is not even two years old and the floor is coming up, peeling off, buckling. Holes in sheet rock Meritage never came to patch up for our new build. Sheet rock clumps throughout the house on the walls. I have photos.

Original review: April 29, 2022

The tile in our brand new built home (built and took possession in March, 2020) is coming up. Inspector has come out to investigate and has determined that 100%, yes 100%, of the tile needs to be ripped up and replaced. While Meritage has agreed to compensate for the faulty work, the new tile being provided is not the same size nor color as the original. We've made multiple attempts to either have Meritage pay us out and let us find a contractor of our choosing to rip and replace, or provide the same size and color of the existing tile. We have been told that none of the options above are agreeable to them.

In addition, no one has been able to put in writing what the warranty will be on the new tile work (if we allow them to proceed). How do we know that in 6-12 months the same thing won't happen again. Furthermore, no one has been able to tell us what caused the original tile issue - so ripping and replacing could not be the right option if we don't know why it happened in the first place. At this point, we are at an impasse. Note: We understand that there are other newly built homes that are experiencing the same issue- with tile coming up from the floor.

Original review: April 22, 2022

Purchased a home after losing the home we wanted due to their sales strategy. Home construction quality was so bad, they had to redo the driveway, bathtub in send BATH was used and drain rings rusted. Final walk was a joke, the worst thing about this builder is their HOA so restrictive and ignorant to see the least. They allow new home owners to rent their own home monthly weekly is not allowed they will not share HOA rules until you close almost a scam and fraud company. They should not be allowed to build homes anywhere in the state of Florida. One star for these people is too high. They don’t have good anything at all… 10 times worst than DR Horton and 8 times worst than Lennar. I was so dissatisfied and still upset with these people. I believe they are stuck on stupid or redefining stupidity.

Original review: April 20, 2022

We have had multiple Air conditioning companies come out over the last 2 years to tell us that our 2nd floor unit was not built correctly. There should have been 3 units on this home due the size. Meritage skimp on this. We have owned the home for 2 years and have been having problems since the beginning. At this time we have been told that the system Zone board and Dampers are not responding. We have had this replaced twice already. Therefore there is something wrong with this particular LENNOX system if it continues to burn out the zone boards and dampers and evaporator coil. We are also being told that there is no Bypass damper on the system. This should have been placed when the system was installed. Also the 3rd floor thermostat is not compatible with the system.

It is very frustrating that these companies can get away with not installing equipment properly. There is no way for a consumer to be able to find out this kind of information prior to purchasing. An inspector would not even be able to determine that parts are missing. The home comes with a warranty but not on the A/C units. I purchased an extended warranty and they still don't want to cover. There is really no way to repair this system that they installed. It need to be trashed. Meritage also had us considered in a flood zone. None of the neighbors are. This is more of a waste of money because FEMA is requiring an elevation certificate... Those cost to get an engineer to come out to provide this. More money out of pocket.

Meritage Homes author review by Joseph Truini

Meritage has built over 90,000 homes since its inception in 1985. All of its homes are Energy Star compliant. Meritage currently builds in nine states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. The company has been named Texas Builder of the Year five times.

• Homes for seniors available: Meritage offers an "Active Adult" package for seniors who are still active and want to move into a vibrant neighborhood, not a retirement community.

• Energy-efficient homes: Every Meritage home complies with Energy Star requirements, ensuring that homeowners will save money on their utility bills and reduce their carbon footprint.

• Luxury homes available: Those interested in living in a larger, more luxurious home can order the from company’s Monterey line of building plans.

• Offers charitable contributions as well as homes: Meritage works closely with Homes for the Homefront, a foundation that secures safe housing for veterans and military families.

• Financing options: Prospective buyers can apply for a mortgage online through MTH Mortgage, an affiliate of Meritage Homes.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Advisor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Meritage Homes Company Information