1.63/5

Find a recommended home builder & developer now

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

255 Meritage Homes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Meritage is a top notch builder. They truly care about the quality of the home they are building you! And they strive to ensure you are informed and knowledgeable every step of the way about what you are buying and the options you are selecting. Building and designing the home was so much fun! And our builder, Coop, make sure that the home was literally perfect. Every tiny imperfection that we pointed out, he has fixed immediately. He went wayyy above and beyond the call of duty to ensure we loved everything about this house. There were literally no unwelcome or unexpected surprises at all. We are so happy with Meritage.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Those who gave Meritage 5 stars, seems either they are related to Meritage outside of being plain customer or just lucky. Sales team starts off in a nice way. The house is nice to live in. They use foam insulation and good materials so all that is good. But apart from that, everything is bad. They rushed through with the construction ignoring & covering-up construction issues - caught them as I was visiting the construction site couple of times a week. They covered-up areas I wanted to check before putting the brick wall because of tears on wraps - I asked them to let me know so I can confirm it was repaired correctly, but they put up the bricks without letting me know or see if the tears were fixed correctly.

The previous work on tears were not fixed until I pushed them to. When I was pointing out those issues, Meritage was saying I was bringing up lots of issues as if I should ignore them. Then they started pressuring me to close without getting other after construction issues resolved. They said they will fix all those after closing - that now seems like a big lie. Issues which I have being pointing out for more than a month after closing have not yet been resolved. Word of advice - with Meritage do not close until all issues are fixed. Yard is very bumpy such that kids cannot run around without tripping.

Dryer needed repairs (changing drum and side panel) after very first run - Meritage said they will not replace dryer but ask Whirlpool to repair it - so I paid price for new dryer but getting to use a repaired dryer - more like Meritage sold me "refurbished" for price of new - and I am still waiting for the repairs after more than a month after closing. Word of advice - run a full load before closing to confirm if you are getting a bad appliance or not. Shower enclosure leaks from corners. Underground water valves outside are covered in thick layer of dirt, due to neighboring home construction, such that one has to dig through thick dirt to get to the valves. As I have been asking for all these issues to be resolved, I want to meet with Meritage to discuss them, but they try to avoid meeting with me and not respond to emails.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Purchase our home in January 2017. Moved in at the end of August 2017. We noted items in August 2018 with the Warranty Inspector and as of this post October 25, 2018 the items have not been fixed/resolved. Our main issue is the proper leveling of the front yard. For the last 14 months we have complained about the large dip in our yard that creates a pool "every single time it rains" for more than 10 minutes. It takes 3 weeks before the water soaks into the ground. Meritage has come out and installed two small drains but it has not helped.

Meritage claims to be the best builder but they do not pay close attention to detail. With the price of our home and neighborhood one would think they would ensure proper drainage of every home and common area in a brand new neighborhood where they are the only builder. What you can expect is substandard construction and every excuse possible to prevent doing the necessary work. We made a poor decision when choosing them as a builder. I am now waiting for a return call from the Corporate Office and will continuing calling them until I can talk with someone.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

How can a person buy a new home. You bring in your "home property manager" for the 1 year inspection punch list/repair list, and you show them the "WARPED" front door, and even this managers repairman/contractor, and the person from the window/door 84 Lumber Guy says it is warped. But your "manager:" says, it is "acceptable", and goes as far as to tell the homeowner, "you can pursue it, but nothing will be done"! SERIOUSLY! This is how your company operate? Warped front entry doors? A brand new build with an "Acceptable" warped front door"? I do not believe as a brand new build, the homeowner purchased a WARPED door? Would YOU? No you would not!

Now, there are few things the homeowner can overlook, the crown molding gaps not being filled, the doorknobs not working, the drainage outside being buried in the mud, etc., but a warped front entry door, come on? Right is RIGHT and wrong is WRONG, and THAT IS WRONG! IS MERITAGE Homes only "Acceptable"? Is that what you want to be known as, that You build "acceptable" homes? I think you would prefer "exceptional", wouldn't you? Along with Exceptional Homeowner Customer Service? I would love to hear back from someone regarding this and not just be ignored please.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

The entire process from signing the agreement, selecting the options at the design center, construction and financing has been challenging and disappointing. The lack of professionalism and customer service from the sales team to management is evident throughout the company. The experience has not been pleasant rather stressful. Our biggest concern is the poor quality of workmanship from damaged cabinets, paint spills on the floor and outlets, stained quartz countertops, scratches on stainless steel appliances and hood range, red paint on sidewalk and door trim, missing caulking, etc. The construction/project manager, Heather **, indicated the cracks on the kitchen cabinets were normal.

We purchased their top of the line wood cabinets and did not expect to see any scratches or joist tearing apart. She insisted that this is normal. We contacted the cabinet manufacturer and scheduled an inspection. The manufacturer confirmed that after installation, they inspected the cabinets and no damages were on any of the cabinets. The inspector indicated that he informed Heather that installing the floor and backsplash after installation of cabinets would be an issue and could cause damages. The inspection did confirm several damages to the cabinets and pending resolution from Meritage Homes. Our second concern is how the quartz countertops were handled. During our site visit, we noticed that the countertop was being used by their contractor for tools, boxes, etc. We noted in our walk through that the countertop has several stains in it. Heather indicated that it will be cleaned prior to our closing.

We closed on our home and the countertops were still stained and dirty. Heather sent a countertop guy to clean the surface within a week. The cleaning person removed some of the stain, but the countertop is now lacking shine or luster and has blotchy spots. Again, we notified Heather, we provided her a photo of the countertop during construction which shows that it was used by her contractors. She insisted that no damage was done to the countertop and blamed us for inspecting the property during construction and bringing meals to the crew. We have requested to have the manufacturer inspect the countertops, this is pending resolution as well. In addition, weigh your options with financing based on their closing costs contributions and interest rate, which is considerably higher than the market rate. Overall, the company lacks customer service and detail to quality. Staff were unprofessional and shows no care for customers. It has been a disappointing experienced and we hoped that no one else suffers through this type of treatment.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

The warranty follow up work as a seasonal homeowner has been a nightmare. We have spent more time waiting for subs and repair work than we have spent enjoying our home. The lack of respect and customer service to return an email or a text is unbelievable. Beautiful design and floor plan but a bust on finish quality and customer service.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

We purchased our Meritage Home in November 2013. My wife was concerned when the company was telling us we had to pay more money and move our closing day. My wife commented to me, that we were not responsible for their error and why should we have to pay for their mistake so, she said, "Let's not buy the house. Something sounds odd." I wish I had listened and let them keep my earnest money but, I didn't. Please do listen to all the negative reviews. We begun to have issues with this builder from the moment we put our earnest money down. They do make all sorts of promises and do not honor them especially after you close. They will prop up their company by telling you about how wonderful their warranty is. However, buyer beware! Just finished with our case that was recently closed with the Better Business Bureau.

The BBB stated, they have answered the complaint and was not resolved (this is how they are listing it on their website). As with most warranty issues we have had they have refused to repair the problem and with the majority of issues we were told by their customer representatives, "This is not a warranty issue." So predictable and with each warranty issue we always expected that answer. We became well aware their employees are trained in this manner. Sadly to say, when you do come across a customer representative that recognizes that there is problem and attempts to do the right thing they fire them. I asked the Better Business Bureau how they can even give this company an A+ rating. I got no response. Please! Please, do yourself a favor and choose another builder!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I built a Meritage Home; signed contract 9/2016; construction began in January 2017 and completed April 2017. I moved in May 2017 and within two months noticed odd odors. I have spent $3,000 in testing and am told by the specialists I hired that I need to spend another $1500-$2000 to ensure the health of my family. The odors by December absorbed into everything we owned; clothes, lunch bags, back packs, mattresses, stuffed animals, hair, cats fur and even into our food in-pantry and freezer! I asked for assistance with this odor July-Sept with my project manager with no luck; became a warranty item in October 2017. It took me forcing things to get anything done from Meritage.

In March 2018 it was determined by Meritage that the trim on my 2nd floor was not caulked. This caused water intrusion behind the siding on 2nd floor, water was found between the tar paper and the Tyvek behind the siding. It also caused 3 of the 4 columns to become wet and moldy. My house became filled with excessive VOC's from the OSB/sheathing and wet concrete odors from the wet siding. From testing it was determined that the siding had mold embedded in it and that my home was 1215% above max allowed VOC limit on first floor and 2000% above on 2nd floor. Chemicals such as acrolein, hexaldehyde, crotenaldehyde, decanal, acetaldehyde, valeraldehyde, benzene, acetic acid, proprionaldehyde... there were days that you could visually see the air and feel it as it passed out an open window.

My son and I suffered from red eyes, dizziness, asthma type symptoms, tics, headaches, congestion. My cats puked bile daily. We traveled out of the state and took the odor with us in our luggage. There days that you couldn't stay in the home. Guests and Meritage Warranty team had asthma attacks, dizziness and left smelling of my home. I have had the FL Dept of Health and a private industrial hygienist test my home and provide reports that were given to Meritage. Meritage brought their own air quality tester in who did a 5 minute VOC meter test and mold test. I paid for a 24 hour VOC test - a much more thorough test.

My 2nd floor has been without siding since April and has been under plastic. My columns were dismantled in July and have had new OSB laced around the columns; two of which were still wet - proven by Dept of Health's moisture meter. The metal straps and the screws in 3 of the 4 columns that were wet and moldy are rusty. Dept of Health told me those needed to be replaced as well as the structural beams that were wet. The hygienist recommended the OSB on face of house be replaced and in the least pulled from my home to make sure there was no future moisture that would continue the off-gassing to occur. She also recommended hydroxyl generators be in my home to eliminate the toxic VOC's from the interior.

Since April I have had windows open whenever possible to dilute the air and since June I have had my fresh air system open 100% and running at 100% with my AC at a very low temperature to keep the fresh air running - recommended by the hygienist and an air quality HVAC company I hired. Luckily for me the Dept of Health did not detect any VOC's at their visit which was 3 months after I had my initial air testing done by the hygienist and windows and fresh air were opened.

I have requested Meritage to replace the OSB and columns and for hydroxyl generators to be provided. They denied this request. I asked for Meritage to provide me with their test results and any reports from their specialists that state my home is acceptable as is. They denied this request. I then asked them to have their engineer on record to recertify my building materials that have been wet and moldy or exposed to the elements since for this past year+ before proceeding with siding install and column completion. They have refused this request as well.

Meritage has picked from their test results and disclosed only the items that removed liability from them. They made decisions to not replace building materials that have been exposed for over a year to the weather. They blamed everything of mine for the VOC's (from furnishings to wallpaper and flooring - even baseboards they thought that I replaced but are the original baseboards). They have lied about air quality test results. They have lied about what removing OSB from my home would do to my framing. I took their words to a structural engineer who laughed and said the claims were ridiculous and that the boards should be replaced. They have refused to follow anything that was written by any of the specialists I hired to test my home; including the FL DOH.

I am the one left with a house that could have issues in the future; that may give me problems selling in the future if I can't prove the repairs were done correctly. I would lose financially. If I have the building materials replaced myself, not only am I taking an additional costs where I shouldn't have to, I will void the structural warranty of my home. It is unacceptable how they have treated my family and my home for a construction defect that caused much more than a little water intrusion.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

We just bought a house from them and we were getting an inspection done by the VA because that's who we were using for our loan. VA if you didn't know is the hardest and most serious when it come to protection its veterans. We had 13 other homes inspected from custom which was the worst to Mungo and some other major home builders and they all failed inspection. But we had him inspect a Meritage home for us and their construction was outstanding the inspector said they are using 2x6's in their 2018 homes instead of 2x4's, they use spray foam, the AC units are from Trane and much more.

They let you walk in the houses before you buy them and you don't pay for anything unless it passes your approval. So slow down and look at the house even if it takes 10 times to look at the house. Make sure everything looks good and is functional. They read these reviews and take notes. Some guy said they were using a bad AC unit company. Now in 2018 they are using top of the line Trane's. You also have to look at the area and the neighborhood if there is 300 houses in the community then most likely the houses were rushed and all you have to do is look and say what needs to be fixed. One last thing people complain about is their customer support and they might be right but yelling at them won't help the situation. I hope my review helped some of you guys look at Meritage Homes and say, "Wow what a nice house."

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Quantity Vs Quality should be Meritage motto. Completely Disgusted by the quality of workmanship in my "New" Meritage home. Don't go to the model home stop by mine instead and see my house first so you can see what you're really going to get. I'm also a first time homebuyer. I should have read other reviews on Yelp first before buying this Faulty low grade house from this Builder. In the pictures you will see the lack of consistency in drywall texture throughout my home as well as the paint is two toned from the ceiling to the walls there's a lot of untextured spots throughout.

In several areas throughout the house there are heavy amounts of plaster in the corners people forgot to sand JUST SLOPPY!!!! Pen marks on shower. Cuts and scrapes on my sink countertops. Walls coming apart. No seal around doors. Paint on my tile floor and wall. Underneath kitchen island - unfinished/ texture coming apart. Crooked walls. DO NOT BUY Meritage homes!!! I was told I had a 20 day walkthrough which has not happened. I have blue tape throughout my entire house of Meritage work that needs to be done correctly. My entire house still needs to be repainted and keep in mind I've already moved in. I would like for Meritage corporation to start hiring quality workers!!! RIDICULOUS!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Moved into our New Meritage home last year. Had concerns all along re poor drainage to back side yard which were expressed during our preconstruction meetings. We were told if retainer wall was needed we would have one. They never built one and our neighbors' lawn is several feet higher than ours resulting in very poor to almost no drainage and black mushy dead lawn algae ridden lawn. Meritage is not at all interested and says it's a landscaping issue and not their problem!! Landscaper has told us we will need to spend maybe a thousand or more to get it paved as there is no other solution! I have heard that there are others in this community with the same issue. Beware! Their warranty is not worth the paper it's written on!!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

We purchased a Meritage Homes in the Nashville Metropolitan Area about 10 months ago. We paid top dollar for a home that has overall substandard workmanship, they claim to warranty the foundation of the home, yet we are having crumbling and they have told us it is only cosmetic. BEWARE!!! DO NOT PURCHASE A HOME FROM THIS BUILDER!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

They have lied about everything since day one. First we were supposed to have a resort style pool with a splash pad. Which was to be finished by last summer. NOPE. Not happening. Now we are getting a small pool with no water heater. Splash pad is a no go. We were also supposed to have a playground and dog park. A year and half later. Nothing yet. Our community is supposed to be accessible to other Lakewood Ranch communities and we were told the road to do this was to be done by last year. NOPE still not even close to be done.

The roads are not draining properly when it rains, the landscape is not being kept up with. They haven’t mulched the common areas behind the houses in over 2 years. Also this now nonresort style clubhouse doesn’t even come air-conditioned. I would definitely recommend not buying in this community. They will do nothing but tell you lies to get you here and please do not buy from Meritage. At least in the Bradenton Lakewood Ranch area.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Bridgewater Subdivision in Simpsonville, SC - 8/9/18 we experienced heavy rain and flooding of the street at **. This is a new home we bought two years ago. The area we live in is a lower area in the neighborhood. Every time it rains we experience varying degrees of flooding in the street, yard, drive and inside some homes. The rainwater comes down the hill at both ends of the road and overflows the drains located along the road. Also the drain water from the Bridge Crossing overflows from the storm drain located across the street from our homes.

This means all the rainwater from the back side of the neighborhood basically runs into Grand River Lane or overflows from the storm drain into Grand River. The design of the drainage system is not correct and cannot handle the rain storms. The water got over halfway up my driveway and about 15 foot from our porch. My neighbor's house flooded into the house and the garage. Every room on the 1st floor flooded. This is the second time their house has flooded due to poor drainage design. Several of us that live in the flooding area are planning on contacting an attorney. I have video footage of the flooding from 8/9/18 and will attempt to upload. I also have several photos.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

We signed a contract with Meritage Homes in September 2017. Long story short... Due to a inspection report that was enough for us to walk away. They have retained our escrow money and design center money. They built a low budget house. Stay away from this builder.

Original review: July 18, 2018

If you're considering building with Meritage - run. I understand you get what you pay for when your price per square foot is under $100. The major issue is once the sales is complete, good luck getting anything done and expect being lied to on a consistent basis. They have the warranty work they do but getting that done is like pulling teeth from a baby. From day 1, I told our construction supervisor the grading of yard was terrible. We're at the end of a cul-de-sac and below street level.

Needless to say we get a ton of water here in SC. Their solution was to run a ditch in the front yard. When it rained, we had an obvious creek running through. That did not work so they put in a trough (not even a catch basin) with a 4 inch pipe and piped it half way to the side of yard. That system could not keep up with the rain either. I had enough and paid over $5000.00 to fix the issue. This is just 1 of a ton of issues we have had with our house. Decent house at a decent price point. If you expect any help after you move you, you're gonna be greatly disappointed. I have never written a review to slam a company but my hope is to save others the misery my family has been through for the past 3 yrs. DO NOT CONSIDER BUILDING WITH THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: July 13, 2018

Our home in Hammock Park Oviedo. Just a list of issues. Lazy workers, rush to close, trash everywhere, Taco Bell bag painted to side of home, unfinished work at closing, tools, trash, etc under the turf. Towel rack and toilet paper holders fell off walls, odd place light switches, never set the master tub, it was loose and would not seal closed, bugs and dirt in grout in showers, broken tiles and sharp screws in drain in showers. No grout in tile floors, did not seal glass showers, all trim and doors in entire home with different paint shade from white to light yellow, doors warped not sanded, dirt in paint, instead of correctly sized trim, 15 small pieces nailed together, seams showing, did not fill nail holes. Watered down paint. Doorway cut irregular doors do not fit or hasn’t properly, door knobs fell apart, low flow toilets do not work properly, some facing had weird circles in it.

For customer service: salespeople nice but cannot help, building manager Mike. Slow response, forgets, makes things up, can be disrespectful. He is never in a rush to help. Basically he could care less. His workers also could care less, if they show up they are clueless, unprepared for an repair. American Door is awful, rude disrespectful, hard to get them out and do an awful job. Garbage is left to blow around the neighborhood by the construction crew. Their personal trash and construction trash. Mike their manager just blows it off. Say, "What you going to do. They are cheap labor," and he said he can’t control that. He can - he is the site manager! He does not manage. The construction crew is sketchy and stare at the women and children.

So ask questions about people’s homes. Meritage has an online work order submission. It will only allow 1 work order at a time. If they do respond to fix it they leave the ticket open and you cannot submit another till they close it. They create stories and place blame to get out of repairs. It is almost impossible to find an email, phone number or address to try to talk to someone when you need help. This company is difficult. For the price you pay you expect a move in ready new home. Not cheapest materials, poor workmanship and unfinished home.

Most all of this neighborhood moved into unfinished homes due to lazy workers, we are spending our first year trying to get our homes finished or repaired. It has been a disappointing expensive construction zone inside and outside the home. Pretty houses but not the quality or helpfulness they advertise. Especially for the half a million dollar homes they sell. I do not recommend Meritage at all. It is turning into a legal battle for repairs. If anyone who has made the mistake we have by going with Meritage and has and emails or phone numbers or addresses. PLEASE post them. Meritage sucks.

Original review: May 24, 2018

We bought our home at Cotten Place in Morrisville, NC - there are few good things about Meritage (like using spray foam) but are far outweighed by the negatives. 1. Poor quality trees. 90% of the trees in my community are dead or pretty close to die. 2. Even within the one year warranty period - they refused to replace my dead trees. 3. Not trustworthy, the construction manager will give you a rosy picture - till he gets your signatures & then will not respond to your emails!

4. They broke sections of my curb towards the end of my construction, never replaced. There are some good associates but in general, at least my construction manager was a big liar!

Original review: May 15, 2018

My home was built in 2013 by Meritage Homes in Converse, Texas. The home that was built was rated energy efficient. It was until the second year of occupancy, we started having problems with our HVAC system, a major component was replaced under warranty by Goodman (the manufacturer of the HVAC system). Then again in 2014 another part had to be replaced on the HVAC system, then again in 2017 (2) major components had to be replaced on the HVAC System.

In April 2018, the HVAC Tech (company I pay a monthly maintenance fee to) advised me that I had leaks in the compressor, but were fixed, In May 2018 I was told my system was done for, I had major problems including a major fire/health hazard from leaking oil and other major issues. I have to pay out $8,000 to replace my HVAC system due to the Meritage Homes and manufacturer both will not honor any more warranty work. The existing HVAC unit is a lemon, so buyer be aware. I have learned that this HVAC system is an older model, but our home was built in 2013.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I too was skeptical of Meritage Homes after reading the reviews in 2016, however due to the increase of home rentals, my husband and I decided to go for it. We chose a community and Canton, GA and the experience had its high's and low's. Our sale person was WONDERFUL (Trisha **)! We had a few issues with construction (Variance issues, change of contractors). I do however feel badly for anyone purchasing after 2016, because Meritage has changed their look and prices and you get a lot less for more money. I do love my home, I have been in it for 1 year. I had to use the warranty once regarding my AC and did not have any problems. Could the construction crew use more care in building? Absolutely! I completely understand why folks would be uneasy... Meritage Homes could use A LOT of improvements but as for me, I am happy with the end results. Guess I was one of the lucky ones!

Original review: April 24, 2018

Meritage Homes routed the Electrical cable as diagonal line in my backyard instead of follow the U.E. I asked them right after I saw it (my house has not closed yet) but they ask me to pay up to $2,500 for extra 24 ft electrical cable. They never tried to fix whatever they mistaken.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I should have went with my gut after reading all the reviews which I asked the sales lady about. She made excuses for the reviews with fast talk and continued to rush us into the contract and getting our EM. With an uneasy thought but also excited to be purchasing, the numbers started to add up. After thinking it over for one day we immediately called back and said that we didn't have a good feeling and that we were going to withdraw. She tried to stall and told us that maybe there is something they could do to make us satisfied. Well while she was stalling, I immediately cancelled my check.

Once she finally came back, she stated that there was nothing they could give us for a better deal and they wasn't going to give us our money back after only one day. I said, "Oh no worries. Check was cancelled so goodbye scam artist! Haha!" Then the nerve, they tried to email us to sign saying we owe them that money. Do we look like fools. Got them before they got us!

Original review: March 28, 2018

Don’t buy a Meritage Home without reading reviews! If you’re looking to build a new home, avoid this company. It’s amazing that a class action suit hasn’t been brought due to poor quality. They mass grade land and change water drainage on backfilled land. The foundations crack, walls are missing insulation, building material is found buried in the yard, etc. Do yourself a favor and avoid, they won’t honor warranty and leave you hanging after walkthrough.

Original review: March 28, 2018

After putting down an earnest money deposit a week later the sales guy told us we were able to get our EM back. The checks had not been cashed. He said it would take 2 weeks. Here we are a month later no check back. Josh at Carter Grove has told me he refuses to give me the number or email to management. Beware of this guy. He will tell you what you want to hear and then screw you over in the end.

Original review: March 23, 2018

Ray Turner was the team leader of our realtor who worked under him. We signed a contract and placed a deposit down on a new build with Meritage Homes. Meritage Homes failed to disclose that a privacy fence was being erected that would completely block the water views behind our home. They were charging us $21,000 for a premium lot that we would not be getting. Meritage Homes told us they had no idea a fence was going up before selling the home to us. It has since been proven (after we were forced to close on the home) by an attorney that Meritage Homes did know about the fence and failed to disclose the pertinent information to potential buyers.

As soon as we saw the fence and only a week after they cashed our deposit, we asked for a refund of our deposit and to be released from contract. The builder refused so Ray Turner offered to call upper management in Meritage Homes on our behalf. We were told by his employee that she witnessed his call to Meritage requesting a refund and release from contract. He stated they denied his request as well. Meritage is denying to our attorney that we ever requested a refund or release from contract. Our realtor, Ray Turner's employee, wrote a letter on our behalf confirming the call Mr. Turner made in her presence.

Mr. Turner refused to write a letter or sign his name to her letter. When the builder's attorney contacted Ray Turner to validate his employee's claim, he told the attorney that he had no recollection of the call and even lied about other events. His employee told because he was just branching out in his own business, Turner Real Estate Network in Bradenton, FL, he didn't want to get involved or hurt any relationship he had with Meritage Homes since he has sold many homes for them and made a lot of money working with them. He either lied to us or lied to the attorneys. Either way, he is in breach of duty and openly deceived us for his own profits. We will be reporting him and Meritage Homes representatives to the appropriate licensing boards. I hope to inform others so they can protect themselves from these deceptive realtors and builders.

Original review: March 13, 2018

After signing a contract on a move-in ready home and paying a deposit, we found out that the beautiful water view we paid for was going to be blocked by a privacy fence. The water view was the reason we chose the home. Meritage's representatives (Chris **, Vicky **, Michael **) refused to release us from the contract and refund our deposit. They continued to lie stating they had no prior knowledge that a privacy fence would be erected blocking our home and many others from the premium water views for which we paid. It was too late for us to purchase another home without the additional funds and they threatened us with the contract language. We have since found out that they did know about the fence going up long before we signed the contract and failed to disclose it to potential buyers.

In fact, other homeowners had already contacted them via a lawyer after finding out about the fence, but Meritage still failed to inform us about it or release us from our contract. And now they are lying by denying we ever asked to be released. The fraudulent, disgusting way in which they purposely mislead us as well as other homeowners/buyers and continue to openly lie about it in order to protect themselves and their profits is simply vile. We plan to report them and contact the media - a lawyer has already been hired. We hope to protect future buyers from going through what we and many others in our development are going through. I continue to be shocked at the lengths this company will go to in order to sell a home. Tampa Bay, Bradenton, Sarasota areas - Stay away. Do not purchase a new home through Meritage Homes.

Original review: March 9, 2018

We bought a brand new home in August 2016 and the home was originally closed on March 2 2016. The Builder is Meritage Homes - Charlotte. We have Two years Plumbing Warranty on the home. Best Buy has installed a new Dishwasher in February 15th 2018 and due to their negligent handling of the hot water pipe or a mere coincidence of touching the damaged pipe, On February 16th 2018, there was a leak flooding kitchen and breakfast room and partly the living room.

We immediately called Best Buy Installers and they looked at it and said the leak was underneath the concrete and it didn't happen due to their installation. We immediately called Builder Agent, and he came and looked at it and has ordered repairs but when we informed that the dishwasher was just installed then he immediately put the blame on the Best Buy Installers and cancelled repairs and said it is the fault from Best Buy installers who handled the water pipe wrong. After builder left, we got a plumber and he digged thru the concrete and noticed the leak was under the concrete. Best Buy didn't dig the concrete to install the dishwasher. They just connected dishwasher water pipe to the hot water pipe that leaked under the concrete.

We also contacted Best Buy that the leak was noticed after the installation and no leak before that. Best Buy claim that it is a coincidence. So, just for holding to connect hot water pipe to dishwasher pipe if the hot water pipe break in the concrete. Meritage should know the quality of their contractor work done for home just less than 2 years ago. The pipe before removing by plumber - we have taken the pictures and how depth they dig to identify the leak was also videotaped and several pictures taken from the start. I have submitted all to Builder and also Best Buy. The plumber report suggested, the damaged pipe underneath the concrete (pex cuts) may be from construction

Based on the plumber report, Best Buy denied the claim. Meritage verbally denied the claim that it is the fault from Best Buy installers and there was no leak before installation. I have asked for written confirmation as we need to submit that for lawsuit on all related parties. The plumber's impression and his report about the damages was related to defective pipes used during the construction but Builder claims that it passed all codes and it is only caused by the way the way the Best Buy Installer handled the pipe.

Again, Best Buy representative opined the leak is under the concrete and looks like it might have got discovered when Best Buy installed the dishwasher. The report from restoration company did identify Mold near the leak and not sure for how long that has been forming. Before approaching court, I thought of asking for help here as Meritage Homes who are playing blame game and escaping from the responsibility of the damages caused to our home in our 2 year warranty period. Earlier also there are also some blueprint items missing in the construction of this home and Meritage Homes simply ignored for reasons they change all the time and not valid at all.

Original review: March 7, 2018

We have built three new homes in the past 10 years and have worked with three different builders. Meritage is BY FAR the worst. The products they use in the homes are inferior, the customer service is horrible, and all they care about is taking your money. They try to close our warranties before doing the work, and try to coerce you into signing forms saying they repaired things. We have been in our house for less than three years and have had nothing but trouble. We are now potentially looking at lawyers because they have stopped responding. We never had this type of workmanship or trouble with the other two houses. It is a disgrace!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

My experience with Meritage Homes has been horrible from the very beginning! They told us our house would be the complete opposite of what we seen during our walkthrough. Mold covers the home, poor craftsmanship, poor quality, a busted water heater PRIOR to even closing (red flag), horrible customer service from the few we dealt with. Do your research prior to signing anything!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Stay away! The Meritage Homes - Buffalo Highlands Commerce City CO seem nice for a reasonable price but the salespeople are con artists. They will literally say anything to draw you in and then try to lock you into contracts that will allow them to steal your money. We tried to work with Linda who told us so many things that were not true. When we would find out what she had told us was not true and call her on it, she would immediately get defensive and try to cover herself. She literally told us something different every time we talked to her. Then when we tried to get past all of that and move forward on a house she tried to lock us into a contract where they could charge us $250/day if our current home didn't sell the exact day they wanted it to. This community also doesn't work with you at all on options for the house. No options at all. They pick colors, finishes, everything and won't budge at all. Buyer beware!!!

Meritage Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

Meritage has built over 90,000 homes since its inception in 1985. All of its homes are Energy Star compliant. Meritage currently builds in nine states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. The company has been named Texas Builder of the Year five times.

• Homes for seniors available: Meritage offers an "Active Adult" package for seniors who are still active and want to move into a vibrant neighborhood, not a retirement community.

• Energy-efficient homes: Every Meritage home complies with Energy Star requirements, ensuring that homeowners will save money on their utility bills and reduce their carbon footprint.

• Luxury homes available: Those interested in living in a larger, more luxurious home can order the from company’s Monterey line of building plans.

• Offers charitable contributions as well as homes: Meritage works closely with Homes for the Homefront, a foundation that secures safe housing for veterans and military families.

• Financing options: Prospective buyers can apply for a mortgage online through MTH Mortgage, an affiliate of Meritage Homes.

• Best for: Meritage Homes is best for highly independent people, active seniors, people with special needs and environmentalists.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Meritage Homes Company Information