2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.35/5

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Unsubscribe at any time.

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Meritage Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

I moved in Spring Brook Village in Houston in May 2019. After I moved in I had cracks in the front wall, Meritage built an inventory house next to me and it damaged my walls next to inventory house. Mr Kelly ** stop by. Check on the issues and he called Mr ** to fix the door to entrance which had big crack and all other issues for my house. Mr. ** came to me same day and did wonderful job. I am really happy with Meritage Springbrook Village. I really appreciate to the Meritage home. Mr Kelly ** fixed my garage door by himself the day he stop by to look at the problems that I had.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

We purchased the house since end of March 2019, so it’s about 6 months we stayed in the community Lake Cove by Meritage Homes in Lake Worth - Florida. Lindsey is our home agent and Debbie is our mortgage agent. Both of them provided me and my husband the best possible home buying experience and this is our very first home. As a first time home buyer, we have so many questions that needed to be addressed and both Lindsay and Debbie were phenomenal helped us to ease our curiosity. During the process of home buying, they were so on top of it. They always keep us update on the process and always there when we need them.

As well as for the construction manager – Jim, he was the construction manager at the time we moved in to our new home. He really helped us a lot to get to know our new house and addressed all the house regarding questions/issues to make us comfortable at our new place. But it seems like Jim was no longer the construction manager from now forward. Meritage has a new construction manager that we don’t really know or has not get the chance to know him.

So far, there no big issue about the house and I’ve been told that normally for all the new house it need to be settled-in for couple months after it build. I believe as part of the Meritage Home warranty, they will have a one year check or review by the end of the first year we moved in. So if there any issues come up, we can submit the claim and covered by Meritage Home warranty. Overall, I wish all the best for Meritage Home and thank you for building our very first home.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I would like to say Thank you Meritage Home for giving us our dream home. The staff was truly caring, understanding and patience with us. Lindsay kept us posted and went out of her way to let us know the progress of our home. There was never a time we couldn't call Debbie or Lindsay with any questions. From day one they Debbie said, "We will get you into this house we promised you this," and they did. I have never experience such ease with buying A home. We couldn't be anymore happier than we are with our new Meritage Homes.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

Meritage Homes, Lindsey ** our home agent at the Lake Cove community, as well as Debbie **, our mortgage agent- provided me and my husband the best possible home buying experience. We had two homes as contingency, and they were so helpful in keeping us organized, informed, and were super flexible during the many contracts that fell through on selling one of the properties. We literally have our dream home after a rollercoaster of a year in our personal lives. Thank you Meritage, and thank you Lindsey and Debbie for everything!!!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

It has been a nightmare since day one of starting to build my new dream home. From the crack in the fountain to the horrible stone and mortar work. Meritage does not care about the customer or Quality of work. I was told several times I could back out of my contract if I was not happy. If you tried to confront them on their sloppy work they wanted to terminate the meeting. I signed up to purchase the model home. My house looks nothing like the model home. My house has three different color of mortar on the bricks, stones that were not Close to the model home stones, and approximately 200 chipped bricks. Meritage is refusing to fix all the chipped bricks. The ones they did fix they painted. They explain to me they cannot fix the mortar color so I have to live three different mortar colors.

My house stones are falling out and that mortar is also cracked. I asked for discount and I would redo the stone correctly but Meritage has refused. So I’m supposed to pay the original $450,000 for chipped bricks, three different mortar colors on my house, stones that are falling out and cracked already? Meritage doesn’t care about the customer. Only about getting paid. The work is very sloppy and the people they hire are only looking for a paycheck. I’m not asking for anything that I didn’t pay for or anything special, just what was in my contract to purchase.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

I purchased a Meritage home in 2019. The entire process has been less than satisfactory. From closing punch list to warranty repairs the professionalism and attention to detail of this company is less than desirable. Attention to detail is the biggest challenge you will face with this company. In my opinion, their business model is to erect houses as quickly as possible with little consideration for detail or quality. I also question the stability within their corporation. I saw them turnover three project managers within 12 months of dealing with Meritage. This is not a reassuring experience when you're spending close to half a million dollars on a new home I can assure you. Good luck to all who decide to buy a house with Meritage, you will need it.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

The buying experience was great starting with our sales agent Shanell and our builder Corey. Where Meritage drops the ball is in their warranty service. This is the 4th house I've built in the past 10 years and the previous 3 were right on time with their 1 year follow up for repairs. My 1 year was February 14th 2020 and I had to call them to schedule when in the past my builder called me to schedule, but not a big deal. We are now over 6 months past my walk through and I still haven't seen the contractors to address the issues. I was told they were 3 months behind in warranty service due to COVID. I get it, but we're 6 months past our 1 year date. I was told I would receive a call last week to schedule the contractors... Nothing. I have have had to hold up painting improvements becasue they won't fix drywall or nail pops if we painted ourselves. I am now going to have to spend close to $1,000 to have a couple different contractors come in to get my house right.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

My son and I purchased our home in Oct 2017 and finalized in April 2018. Our final purchase price was over $310,000.00. Before we closed the front porch step was separating from the porch. I was told by Lucas the building manager it would be fixed. He told me they would put a railing on the porch since it was feet above the ground. Not done. When I put in my warranty claim I was told by Adam they would not cover it because we didn't have it in writing and it was not a part of the house. Our driveway is cracked and separating from the garage. I do not understand how the driveway and porch step are not a part of the house. Now the inside of the house is terrible. We have cracks from floor to ceiling in several places. We have cracks from ceiling to wall.

The caulking at the baseboards is separating. They came and "fixed" the cracks to only crack again a couple of days after. When told they were cracked again, they said it was now a maintenance issue which we have to take care of. Most of our downstairs is hard tile. It is all not level and horribly spaced. Cullen (3rd manager) stated he couldn't see anything wrong with the tiles. The tile people came out and replaced ?12? tiles. This was done from our two boxes of tile reserves. Apparently they didn't use the spacers to lay tile. Now our tiles are cracking from our mini office thru the hall into our kitchen and across the master bath. Our neighbors are having the same issue and have now put their home up for sale.

In doing some research on tile and why they crack I found that there is supposed to be a Yellow Sheet between the slab and the tiles. This was not done and can contribute to cracking. The second reason is that the foundation is faulty/cracked. Our front door is not level. They came and repaired it so it would lock. The repair person said the entire door frame needed to be replaced because it was not installed properly. Meritage denied the replacement. Our front door is not level and has to be pushed extra hard to close and latch. Our backdoor & door into the garage is the same way. Our back patio is not painted properly. I showed this to Cullen (3rd manager) and he stated it was fine and they would not cover which means it is a 'maintenance' issue.

Our backyard was not properly graded. Two of our neighbors behind us water their yard or it rains and our backyard floods. With clay soil it takes days and sometimes weeks for it to absorb. The cook top in our kitchen isn't straight. The granite has a seam in front of the cook top. There is a wall upstairs that rattles which according to them can't be repaired without making the wall look bad. There was a part of the upstairs that creaked. They pulled the carpet and cut the floor to find a pipe that was rubbing the side of the wood where the hole was made for the pipe to go through. After they fixed this creak we found that it just moved the creak to another spot. I have had several other new homes that didn't have this many issues after years.

I am embarrassed to have anyone come over because of how my home was built and how the warranty was worthless. It took them over two years to come do the few things they did cover. Their pat answers to most issues are: that isn't part of the house, it is within limits, it is a maintenance issue (you fix it) and do you have it in writing. I put everything I have into this home and now have no recourse but to live with it. This is the most horrible experience I have had in buying a home. It just sickens me. My suggestion is to make sure you get everything said either recorded or in writing, make sure they do everything before you sign on the dotted line and fact check what they do tell you.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

I guess it depends what they mean by simple. Let me tell you a real customer experience: We paid our earnest money to secure our lot. Weeks later we went to the Design Center to design our forever home. We were so excited! What a terrible experience. Hardy board and stone trim are going on the outside of our forever home. But they couldn’t provide physical examples. We were spending a lot of money; we wanted something to see and touch. No examples of the stone work that would be on our house, just a poor internet picture. No examples of the painted hardy board that would go on our house, just a picture on a tablet of a “scene” (as they called it) of a house that wasn’t our floor plan. And then we were told by the design center representative: “this isn’t a great picture of this scene but...your house should look like this.”

You don’t pick the colors of your house, you pick a “scene.” Ok...we could manage. We asked if they had an app that could show us our home’s specific floor plan with those colors. Nope. We asked if there was a house built with the scene and stone in our floor plan that we could visit in person since they didn’t have physical examples to show us. No, there wasn’t any house yet anywhere built with this stone and hardy board together. No examples in design center of painted vinyl/hardy board. No examples of the stone work. Just a poor internet and tablet picture that the employee even proclaims “this really isn’t a great picture but...” It’s 2020! Who doesn’t have an app?

So we decided that this company wasn’t working hard to make us secure about our hundreds of thousand of dollars investment. Wouldn’t you feel the same way? So we exited the contract. What did this company do? Kept our $2500 earnest money. The only good experience was with the sales rep. She did everything she could. But I could never recommend this company with their lack of effort and unprofessional presentation of their product. Stay away.

Original review: July 28, 2020

Let me start this by saying that I purchased a Meritage home for two reasons. 1. The green build and 2. Layout options. My home costs were around $450K, which is a lot for a newly single mom of two, but it was our dream home and we bit the bullet! 2 months after moving in I notice one area with raised flooring downstairs, as I have wood flooring per my contract and what I was told by my sales rep. I submit for warranty items and they have them replaced, no questions asked. Mind you I was told that it was normal even though my gut told it was not, I trusted my builder. 7-8 months later, two more areas occur, submit to warranty, and replaced with no questions asked. 11 months after these 3 more areas occur, submit to warranty, and DENIED. This is when the nightmare began.

I have the floors looked at by outside vendors (restoration & flooring), both tell me it is a moisture issue. And here is the real kicker, it is LAMINATE. The flooring inspection I had done told me that it was glued directly to the slab and had no expansion. They reminded me that you cannot glue laminate to slab, as it would cause moisture issues and would create mold in the air.

During May of 2019-Present I have battled allergies very badly since moving in, in which caused vertigo. No doctors could tell me why, this is what prompted me to have my indoor air tested. Lo and behold, my indoor air quality is not great and would be causing it for an allergic type individual. I spent a ridiculous amount of money on doctors and additional vendors for this issue and Meritage has shown no empathy or care on the matter. Meritage being a GREEN home builder, this has been mind blowing and very frustrating. This is 1.5 years plus of feeing ill off and on in my own GREEN home.

The builder in this journey changed their story multiple times, below shows the approach that they took. 1. 12/2019-01/2020: Sent warranty ticket. Denied. Then sent restoration and air reports and it took weeks for them to respond. 2. 02/2020: Initially I was told it was probably the powder bath. They had plumbing come out to lift the toilet and nothing. Mind you this company was getting moisture in the areas of buckled boards.

3. 03/2020: They then sent out their restoration company out who was getting moisture in the same areas. They took my trim off and cut a rectangle out of the drywall and could not locate the source of “leak”. This is still open and exposed in my entryway. 4. 05/2020: Sent the flooring company out that did the install. They Surveyed the floors. The guy that showed up could not work his own moisture reader or did not know the codes for vinyl, yes vinyl because that is what he told me that I had. Sent a report WEEKS later.

5. 06/2020: The final decision from the builder was that it was topical, and my fault and that I must have had some spill on the floors and because they are wood, they are not liable because you cannot put water on wood. Meaning they were not liable and that they would schedule the drywall and trim repair. Keep in mind that if my floors were actually vinyl like they the flooring company said, then this would be null and void given vinyl is moisture proof. Also, told me during this inspection they now magically were not picking up any moisture. 6. 06/2020: I sent them the inspection from the outside flooring company 4 weeks ago after getting second opinions and have heard nothing back.

So, I am now essentially stuck with faulty floors that were also falsely advertised on my sales contract and quite the line item costs wise which does not align with laminate costs. I am a business owner who has been badly affected by the pandemic, so now I am at a crossroad of filing with insurance (which I should have never have to do from builder errors) or paying thousands to fight a builder which most likely would cost more than the floors are worth. Please do your research on any builder when purchasing a home, had I done more, I may not be in this position.

Meritage Homes author review by Joseph Truini

Meritage has built over 90,000 homes since its inception in 1985. All of its homes are Energy Star compliant. Meritage currently builds in nine states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. The company has been named Texas Builder of the Year five times.

• Homes for seniors available: Meritage offers an "Active Adult" package for seniors who are still active and want to move into a vibrant neighborhood, not a retirement community.

• Energy-efficient homes: Every Meritage home complies with Energy Star requirements, ensuring that homeowners will save money on their utility bills and reduce their carbon footprint.

• Luxury homes available: Those interested in living in a larger, more luxurious home can order the from company’s Monterey line of building plans.

• Offers charitable contributions as well as homes: Meritage works closely with Homes for the Homefront, a foundation that secures safe housing for veterans and military families.

• Financing options: Prospective buyers can apply for a mortgage online through MTH Mortgage, an affiliate of Meritage Homes.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Meritage Homes Company Information