Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

281 Meritage Homes Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Buying my Meritage Home was a delight. The home was as promised and the close process was less stressful than I thought it would be. After moving in we did find several issues. But they fixed these issues quickly.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I had a positive and great experience working with Meritage, they have been responsive and prompt to every question and concern. We closed on time as expected. After moving in they were able to immediately satisfy any requests such as paint touch-up and replacements. They do truly care about their customers and the quality of service they provide.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Meritage is a top notch builder. They truly care about the quality of the home they are building you! And they strive to ensure you are informed and knowledgeable every step of the way about what you are buying and the options you are selecting. Building and designing the home was so much fun! And our builder, Coop, make sure that the home was literally perfect. Every tiny imperfection that we pointed out, he has fixed immediately. He went wayyy above and beyond the call of duty to ensure we loved everything about this house. There were literally no unwelcome or unexpected surprises at all. We are so happy with Meritage.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

We just bought a house from them and we were getting an inspection done by the VA because that's who we were using for our loan. VA if you didn't know is the hardest and most serious when it come to protection its veterans. We had 13 other homes inspected from custom which was the worst to Mungo and some other major home builders and they all failed inspection. But we had him inspect a Meritage home for us and their construction was outstanding the inspector said they are using 2x6's in their 2018 homes instead of 2x4's, they use spray foam, the AC units are from Trane and much more.

They let you walk in the houses before you buy them and you don't pay for anything unless it passes your approval. So slow down and look at the house even if it takes 10 times to look at the house. Make sure everything looks good and is functional. They read these reviews and take notes. Some guy said they were using a bad AC unit company. Now in 2018 they are using top of the line Trane's. You also have to look at the area and the neighborhood if there is 300 houses in the community then most likely the houses were rushed and all you have to do is look and say what needs to be fixed. One last thing people complain about is their customer support and they might be right but yelling at them won't help the situation. I hope my review helped some of you guys look at Meritage Homes and say, "Wow what a nice house."

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

Stay away from this builder! You are better off throwing your money down a drain. Toddlers build better houses with Legos than Meritage Homes does. Our house was delivered to us in a rushed closing damaged. They accidentally put a giant hole in our foundation with piping for a second island we were never to get. That hole has continued to ruin our wood floor and it has now been repaired 3xs going on four. Their own trade even said Meritage goes for the “quick fixes, the patch jobs” and this is true. The ceiling in my baby’s room split and chunks fell out due to the roof not being properly sealed and causing a leak. Our garage flooded due to the outside wall not being properly sealed. Our extended lanai ceiling buckled and split due to improper support.

When we moved in we had no water because the drainage was clogged from construction debris. We also moved in with our main water line broken (our yard flooded) and need to be repaired. We learned our new ac units were installed with faulty coils - it broke down twice and needed new coils twice. We moved in with a bad thermostat and we are on our third one. Not once has quality control, or leadership ever reached out to us. Not once. I reached out to the the customer service manager myself. I reached out to the Orlando Division President. Didn’t matter though they take no responsibility and have no care because they’ve already gotten the check from us. It’s sad how they rip people off - if you’re reading this and are considering please take to heart my experience. My family has been through hell with them. I pictures and video for anyone that would like to see the damaged home they delivered to us in a rush to meet their numbers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?

Original review: July 17, 2019

My wife and I built our first home with Meritage, and over the three years we lived there we have had nothing but COSTLY problems. Our list of complaints is four pages long! From the GARBAGE in our yard that was covered with sod, to windows that don't open and close because the house warped over time. Fifty percent of the rooms in our home has had some type of water leak. Mostly major leaks, some minor leaks that spread into different rooms causing all kinds of damage - more money out of pocket to pay high priced plumbers to fix. Then our 3 year old water heater died - Another $2000 out of pocket to replace.

How about my pregnant wife on her hands and knees on numerous occasions cleaning up after the mess the trades made in the bathrooms. A mess that was so bad we had to get the floor acid cleaned. Our irrigation system cannot be run anymore until the four holes in the tubing are fixed. Literally, the water sprays up in the air six feet in four areas in my lawn, so I have to keep the sprinkler system off.

Another good one was when the trades had buckets of dirty sludgy water from fixing one of the dozens of issues we had, and they decided to dump the sludge on my bushes in the front of the house. Take my word for it, these houses are nothing but garbage, and the company does not care. I EXPLAINED ALL OF THESE ISSUES AND THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE THE COURTESY TO APOLOGIZE. BUYER BEWARE of employees like Dane ** and Thomas **.

Original review: July 11, 2019

The way these people do business is unprofessional and unethical! I would hopeful you are not in a situation to where you want to purchase a home from them! I went in and took a tour with my realtor, and called later to choose my home. I gave 2,500 as my earnest money only for them to give my house to someone else. My original deal had an contingency agreement on the sale of my current home. So when their agent screwed up the contracts 3 different times it was me left without a home! I’m hoping to be able to file some formal complaint against these people and their unethical practices! Just do business with someone else! As a pregnant expecting mom they added a level of stress I didn’t need at all. Buyers and sellers beware.

Original review: July 11, 2019

We are highly disappointed with our experience with Meritage Homes - Brentwood, TN and their lack of integrity. We have provided them 60+ days notice to terminate our sales contract and they have decided to spitefully withhold the earnest money we initially put down. While Meritage is understandingly within their legal right to withhold these funds, it's obvious as the customer service and operating with integrity are low on their priority list. We will not be engaging with Meritage Homes for any future purchases and will dissuade all future buyers we come in contact with not to conduct business with this organizations.

Original review: June 22, 2019

When we bought our home we were so excited. We were promised a 30 day walk thru after we moved in December 2018 but to this day (June 2019) STILL have not received one. I have tile cracking in my master bathroom, wasp coming in thru my daughter's bathroom upstairs because they did not properly seal the window, siding coming off the side of my home, wires coming out of a wall outside, and a hole that is getting bigger in my front yard, oh not to mention the water that came in due to a storm from my son's windows (this last one is the only thing that was fixed but they didn’t check for mold). It seriously has been one thing after another.

This is our home. I worked hard to get out of housing and off government assistance and I am treated and ignored worse than what was from our local housing authority. If they don’t come out soon I will be seeking legal representation because this is absurd and not the way to run a business. We CHOSE Meritage Homes. We looked at a lot of housing in the area and felt the floor plan we chose and builders were the best for what we wanted. Boy were we wrong.

Original review: May 10, 2019

They just use the worst materials, never fix any issues once they handover the house. The whole brick and stone outside the house is cracking apart in 3 years and it's totally unsafe. Backyard is a pool when it rains and few days after the rain or even if the sprinkler was on, and they promised to put a french drain before we closed the house, and never fixed it until now, it's 3 1/2 years we moved in and now they say it's out of warranty. Whatever they are doing they are risking people's lives for money.

Meritage Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

Meritage has built over 90,000 homes since its inception in 1985. All of its homes are Energy Star compliant. Meritage currently builds in nine states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. The company has been named Texas Builder of the Year five times.

• Homes for seniors available: Meritage offers an "Active Adult" package for seniors who are still active and want to move into a vibrant neighborhood, not a retirement community.

• Energy-efficient homes: Every Meritage home complies with Energy Star requirements, ensuring that homeowners will save money on their utility bills and reduce their carbon footprint.

• Luxury homes available: Those interested in living in a larger, more luxurious home can order the from company’s Monterey line of building plans.

• Offers charitable contributions as well as homes: Meritage works closely with Homes for the Homefront, a foundation that secures safe housing for veterans and military families.

• Financing options: Prospective buyers can apply for a mortgage online through MTH Mortgage, an affiliate of Meritage Homes.

• Best for: Meritage Homes is best for highly independent people, active seniors, people with special needs and environmentalists.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Meritage Homes Company Information