1.3/5 (332 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Meritage Homes

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Meritage Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

Meritage homes provided us with a bent pipe off of our heating water tank. We ended up with a flood and they refused to reimburse us. They said we did not use their plumber... Why would we? They screwed up the job... Dishonest.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

I went through a building purchase contract at Sachse, TX, last year. The design was poor and no sufficient natural light on both floors. Their website says energy-efficient, while the under-construction home, which just had a drywall, was poor in lights. The backyard was later found to be small, and I was paying a lot more per sq. ft. for this home. Since we were first-time home buyers, we did not have any idea about these things. Therefore, we backed out of this contract due to this design and lost our earnest money. There were several other design faults. I cannot commend the quality of the materials. So, I will leave those to those who have lived in their homes built by Meritage Homes. Furthermore, we did not actually see its model home as the market was crazy at that time. From now on, never ever decide hastily, and always do your due diligence before buying homes. As for now, I will never recommend this builder again.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

After 1 year of living in this home, I've lost all confidence in Meritage as a constructor and its ability to stand behind the homes it constructed. On Nov 22, just 1 year after closing on this house, my sewer system backed up and almost flooded the 1st floor of my home. Plunging the toilets or filling the bathtub to create additional water pressure to unclog the sewer line. A few weeks earlier, AT&T dug up the front of my lawn to install their fiber optic cables and so thinking that they damaged the sewer line, I hired Roto-Rooter to perform the repairs. After excavating the line, Roto-Rooter saw that the line was damaged or improperly installed and that a repair was attempted using DUCT TAPE. This was done during the Construction Phase of my home. This means that I was sold a defective product, which was conveniently for Meritage, covered up by dirt.

After the repair was completed, costing me thousands of dollars, I reached out to Meritage Customer Care about covering the cost of this repair and they closed and rejected the warranty claim stating that I did not follow their warranty claim process and so this issue will not be covered by warranty. After explaining the issue multiple times to Customer Care and their Construction Manager who is now assigned to my home. I still have not received a phone call, only emails telling me, "Sorry not our problem and we won't cover the cost of our crappy construction." This is just 1 example of the poor construction practices that we had to endure during the construction of our home.

Our neighbors all have various issues in their houses, including bathrooms that were not properly sealed leading to massive water damage in the walls of these homes, all of which are less than a year old. Would I recommend Meritage Homes? NO. Absolutely not! Take your business elsewhere. You have been warned! Do not trust this company to build your new home. They are terrible at it.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2023

False promises. Poor Workmanship (pictures upon request). Chaotic Process. There was always a sense of uncertainty. Did not trust them at all. Loan processors seemed inexperience. Construction Manager offered to do the work himself. Really???

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

Meritage Homes is a company that is an absolute nightmare to work with. We fell for the illusion that our amazing sales experience gave us and put down money

for a house in Harper’s Preserve, a bad decision that we have now come to regret. Our place is well past the construction deadline, yet we are unable to move in due to constant construction and electricity delays. Meritage Homes made a commitment to us to have electricity in the whole area, yet they still don’t have any. The amount of delays that this problem has caused does not seem to faze the management team, considering how unbothered they seem. Meritage should not have made promises they couldn’t keep!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

There has been so much go around in the past year of my life, I am going to recap the experience below so you can avoid this terror. Note, our original close date was scheduled for March 2022 - we did not close until the last day in August 2022.Save yourself the headache and stress and build with someone else. It’s a complete nightmare. If you do proceed, be prepared to feel dismissed and belittled.

First, we were informed that we had 24 hours to decide if we wanted to proceed with purchasing a home or they would move onto the next person on the list. We wanted to be in that location so we said yes even though it was not the model that we wanted. I should have taken the pressure as a red flag right away. We had terrible communication with our first construction manager (#1) who did not update us at all and the sales manager would remind him monthly to give us an update on our home.

We then had to inform the construction manager that the kitchen plumbing was placed in the living room (something they should have seen first and told us about). We were then delayed by several weeks because they had to cut open the concrete to reroute the plumbing for the kitchen. We were not confident in the job because of the lack of communication so we got a foundation inspection done along with a pre-drywall inspection out of our own pocket. Fast forward a few months, we have a new construction manager (#2) and we were given a new closing date. When we came for the initial blue tape walkthrough our realtor asked “why are we even here today, this is wasting our time” because there was so much that still needed to be done and the closing date had to be pushed back again to complete the outstanding items in order to even do a walk through.

Our second construction manager quit the morning of our closing. The third construction manager (#3) was so disrespectful to our realtor on the phone regarding our third party inspection that she had another Meritage employee on site during our final walkthru. We went to the closing with a list of items that were supposed to be fixed. Since closing (2 months ago) we have had painters, irrigation workers, an electrician, AC workers, plumbers (x4), the flooring company, the cabinets company, appliance repair workers, missing gables added, and the window company all come to fix issues and problems in our brand new home. The quality of work is terrible and there is no level of craftsmanship in the home. We purchased a brand new home and it looks like a used home. For the price of this home we should not be having this many issues.

Now we’re dealing with an issue that our AC unit was temporarily put on a plastic pallet and cinder blocks and not a concrete slab like every other home in the community and we are getting pushed back on getting a concrete slab in to complete the home. “The reason it was like that at your house was most likely the delays we were seeing on the exterior stuff and timing of when the ac had to be done.” We are the only house in the entire community that does not have a concrete slab. I called both the Air company as well as the City of Round Rock inspector who informed us that this will settle over time and become uneven, but we are still getting pushback to complete the job that is in the plans of the house.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

We made the mistake of using Meritage Homes Florida to build our home. We are in the house for two months and the punch list is too long to list here. To name a few, driveway was broken by sod installation and not repaired, The yard is washing into my neighbor's driveway. The sod installation is awful and they won't come back. We are on the 4th service manager, a Mr. Know it all, but gets nothing completed and will not update us until we call. Use another builder or have a list like ours.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2022

Bought the house 7 years ago, kitchen sink were easily clogged and not drain well. The plumber found a PVC object stuck down the line that left during construction, they denied and won't take responsibility!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

We purchased our home less than a year ago, and we have requested the company send someone to address our concerns about fixing cracks in our home. We sent one request and received nothing in return. We sent another request a few months later, in which the company stated they would address the 1st request, and we have yet to receive anything in return. We are out of suggestions as we have called the company, and the company has taken our website credentials away to make another request to resolve the issue as our home is still under warranty.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

The contractors ruined our home and they didn't even complete the work they were sent out! I have had multiple contractors come out and not finish their work! They dripped paint and they ruined our molding and they don't finish the work they came in to do! I have tried to communicate effectively to their warranty department with no success. I reach out to the contractors and no calls back!

Meritage Homes author review by Joseph Truini

Meritage has built over 90,000 homes since its inception in 1985. All of its homes are Energy Star compliant. Meritage currently builds in nine states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. The company has been named Texas Builder of the Year five times.

• Homes for seniors available: Meritage offers an "Active Adult" package for seniors who are still active and want to move into a vibrant neighborhood, not a retirement community.

• Energy-efficient homes: Every Meritage home complies with Energy Star requirements, ensuring that homeowners will save money on their utility bills and reduce their carbon footprint.

• Luxury homes available: Those interested in living in a larger, more luxurious home can order the from company’s Monterey line of building plans.

• Offers charitable contributions as well as homes: Meritage works closely with Homes for the Homefront, a foundation that secures safe housing for veterans and military families.

• Financing options: Prospective buyers can apply for a mortgage online through MTH Mortgage, an affiliate of Meritage Homes.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Advisor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Meritage Homes Company Information