1.3/5 (338 reviews)
Find a Home Builders partner
1.3(338)
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Overall Rating1.3 out of 5

About Meritage Homes

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Meritage Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?
Original review: May 31, 2023

I second the negative feedback from other customers. I am compelled to share my harrowing experience with Meritage Homes in Florida, as a cautionary tale for anyone considering their services. My family's journey with this builder has been nothing short of a nightmare, filled with incompetence, broken promises, unethical practices and disrespectful behavior from the sales associate.

From the moment we engaged with their sales associate, it became clear that their priority was closing the sale, not ensuring customer satisfaction. They consistently lied, failed to provide the promised updates, and demonstrated a complete lack of professionalism and they will lie and do anything to get your earnest money. The construction process was marred by unending delays, pushing our patience to its limits. Deadlines were disregarded, leaving us in a state of constant uncertainty and frustration. To make matters worse, the quality of workmanship was shockingly poor, with sloppy mistakes and numerous structural issues throughout our home.

What truly enraged me was their attempt to scam us by passing off standard materials as upgrades. This blatant deception reflects a complete disregard for integrity and a willingness to take advantage of unsuspecting customers. I recommend you to think twice before considering Meritage Homes for your home building needs. Share this warning with others, so they may be spared the immense frustration and heartache that I have endured. Let us hold companies accountable for their actions and demand transparency, honesty, and quality in every aspect of the home building process.

Original review: March 7, 2023

We purchased our house 7 years ago. We had a roof leak in Nov 2022 and it damaged the inside of our house ceiling and cabinets. We found out that the roof/solar panels design & installation was installed incorrectly when they built our house based on multiple roofing companies coming to our house to evaluate the damage. We spoke with Meritage Homes and they said that the warranty on a roof was for only 2 years. The roof was probably leaking from the beginning but the roof damage did not show up until now. Meritage Homes would not take any responsibility for their mistake.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2023

My name is Ismat, I am a married man, and I have three children, my eldest son is in the US Army, my middle son is in the US Navy and the youngest is twelve years old and wants to join the US Air Force. My family and I own a house in Rita Ranch, but since we are planning to have grandchildren in the near future, my wife and I have decided to sell our small house and buy a large house in the Vail area, near Rita Ranch. Indeed, we did research and agreed to buy from Meritage Homes. We contacted the sales person, and agreed to meet on Saturday 01/28/2023. Indeed, we met the sales person, who was of ** descent, and by the way, he is a very wonderful person. We spent over 4 hours touring the models, then we agreed to come back another day with our son to see one specific home.

2 days later, we met again and after looking at one specific home, we agreed to buy a 2100-square-foot house after the employee told us that this house, for some reason, had not been sold and that it had been offered for sale for 4 months, then we contacted our realtor and told him about this house, and that we would like to put an offer on it. Our realtor contacted Michelle the sales manager to discuss the purchase but she told our realtor that the other salesman sold the house at night time without consulting her. We did not care and told the salesperson that we are still determined to buy from them and the reason is the awesomeness of this individual.

Indeed, after three weeks, the employee called us to tell us that there was another house for sale if we were still interested. We contacted our realtor and explained to him that we would like to pursue another home. Our realtor told us that Michelle the sales manager have some terms and conditions on how much we should list our house for sale, and that she had some incapacitate terms. After we agreed to her incapacitate terms, we met with our realtor on site along with the salesperson. My wife and son loved the house, and then we went to the office to talk about the procedures. There was another sales employee present in the same office and she was listening to our conversation, but she did not comment on anything. And after we agreed with the sales that we wanted to complete the purchase and left the site, and at about six o'clock in the evening, our realtor called us to tell us that the house was sold without consulting our salesperson.

At this point, my family and I felt that something was wrong. Was it our accent? Was it our looks? Was it our last name? But then we discovered that the marketing manager is a disgusting racist person and does not want to sell to anyone of **, ** or even some ** origin. Therefore, I advise anyone who wants to deal with this company to bring a DNA test before sitting at the negotiating table with this racist company.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2023

On 2/10/23 all parties signed to cancel the agreement and return my $10,000 earnest money (apart from the $250 they keep). It is now 2/22/23 and they are stating it takes at least 30 days from the date all parties sign for my earnest money to be issued back to me. Before the agreement, they harassed me over extremely specific details of why I needed to cancel the contract and even illegally asked my lender questions. I gave them all of the information that was required per the contract within the required time frame and they were still harassing me and my lender. Anyway, the cancellation and earnest refund contract was signed. I have been asking real estate attorneys for advice in this situation and I let them know I have, and now the VP of sales said he can no longer speak with me and I am waiting to hear from their legal team.

Also within the first day of sitting in their sales office in Littleton the man said "You better hurry up and buy that house because Little ** is about to move in" referring to the 4 ** families touring. He also told me that "a guy wants this house but I don't like him or want to work with him" during our chat as well. Extremely unethical and illegal. When calling attorneys in the area for advice they were familiar with Meritage and let me know they have dealt with them before, so that's a another bad sign. Anyway, still waiting on my earnest money refund and for their legal team to reach out. Get far away from this company fast!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2023

We purchased our home sometime last Year in July. After we close we notice an issue with the garage lock which was installed poorly. I reported the issue to Michael who is our Sales Rep. He promised to help it fixed before he left the Company. The issue affected the door garage. We could not open the door due to poor installation of the door lock that is jingling from one point to another. We submitted a warranty for repair. The tech came out and stated that the lock affected the garage to bent. Stated that he was unable to get it fixed.

Randy ** and Kelvin ** contacted me and stated that the lock damaged the garage because we locked it and use remote access to open it. I categorically told them that no one ever uses the remote to open the garage. The damage was caused because of poor installation from the beginning. Meritage representative told us that they will not fix it because the warranty is not covered. I asked, "Why are you bringing a warranty when you fail to give us a warranty at the bigging of the purchase of the house."

No one has ever discussed this with us nor have we signed any document related to the garage door warranty. They came up with a warranty when it's time to repair the garage door! Randy ** and Kelvin ** are vicious human begin who did not have a good professional manner of approaching. Meritage Home treated their customer badly for not being able to provide them with all help they need and fix the issues they have to enjoy their home. This house is purchased less than 7 months telling me that the garage door was not covered by warranty!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2023

Buy from Meritage at your own risk. Plan for them to miss deadlines. Plan for several things to break or not work. Plan to waste hours/weeks/months dealing with their awful warranty team. And the contractors they use? Oh my God. An absolute nightmare. Their HVAC work is an ABSOLUTE JOKE. Took multiple visits and a month to get the heater working. Then it started setting off the fire alarm. The warrantied vendor was so bad at fixing the heater the first go I decided to just bring in an outside crew to fix the other issue. They cut corners everywhere! Don't do things the right way. It's cheapness over quality everywhere. The windows are TERRIBLE. You need to be in extremely physically fit condition to even crack them open.

The sliding door track broke, and I'm still trying to deal with the warranty on that through their contractor because Meritage declined my warranty claim, despite the initial report of issues with the door being brought to their attention WITHIN TWO MONTHS of moving into the house. We've now been in the house for almost 2 years. The excuse from the contractor for the door? AND I QUOTE: "Your warranty request has been received. Please note, we are experiencing a high volume of requests, which may delay our response." What a joke. The contractor they use for windows and doors is SO BAD that they're overwhelmed with warranty claims. There are a hundred other little things, but my blood pressure is rising as I type this out. If you buy from Meritage, expect headaches and to spend a bunch of money you shouldn't have had to spend to get the house actually up and running the way it should.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

Meritage homes provided us with a bent pipe off of our heating water tank. We ended up with a flood and they refused to reimburse us. They said we did not use their plumber... Why would we? They screwed up the job... Dishonest.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

I went through a building purchase contract at Sachse, TX, last year. The design was poor and no sufficient natural light on both floors. Their website says energy-efficient, while the under-construction home, which just had a drywall, was poor in lights. The backyard was later found to be small, and I was paying a lot more per sq. ft. for this home. Since we were first-time home buyers, we did not have any idea about these things. Therefore, we backed out of this contract due to this design and lost our earnest money. There were several other design faults. I cannot commend the quality of the materials. So, I will leave those to those who have lived in their homes built by Meritage Homes. Furthermore, we did not actually see its model home as the market was crazy at that time. From now on, never ever decide hastily, and always do your due diligence before buying homes. As for now, I will never recommend this builder again.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

After 1 year of living in this home, I've lost all confidence in Meritage as a constructor and its ability to stand behind the homes it constructed. On Nov 22, just 1 year after closing on this house, my sewer system backed up and almost flooded the 1st floor of my home. Plunging the toilets or filling the bathtub to create additional water pressure to unclog the sewer line. A few weeks earlier, AT&T dug up the front of my lawn to install their fiber optic cables and so thinking that they damaged the sewer line, I hired Roto-Rooter to perform the repairs. After excavating the line, Roto-Rooter saw that the line was damaged or improperly installed and that a repair was attempted using DUCT TAPE. This was done during the Construction Phase of my home. This means that I was sold a defective product, which was conveniently for Meritage, covered up by dirt.

After the repair was completed, costing me thousands of dollars, I reached out to Meritage Customer Care about covering the cost of this repair and they closed and rejected the warranty claim stating that I did not follow their warranty claim process and so this issue will not be covered by warranty. After explaining the issue multiple times to Customer Care and their Construction Manager who is now assigned to my home. I still have not received a phone call, only emails telling me, "Sorry not our problem and we won't cover the cost of our crappy construction." This is just 1 example of the poor construction practices that we had to endure during the construction of our home.

Our neighbors all have various issues in their houses, including bathrooms that were not properly sealed leading to massive water damage in the walls of these homes, all of which are less than a year old. Would I recommend Meritage Homes? NO. Absolutely not! Take your business elsewhere. You have been warned! Do not trust this company to build your new home. They are terrible at it.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2023

False promises. Poor Workmanship (pictures upon request). Chaotic Process. There was always a sense of uncertainty. Did not trust them at all. Loan processors seemed inexperience. Construction Manager offered to do the work himself. Really???

Meritage Homes author review by Joseph Truini

Meritage has built over 90,000 homes since its inception in 1985. All of its homes are Energy Star compliant. Meritage currently builds in nine states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. The company has been named Texas Builder of the Year five times.

• Homes for seniors available: Meritage offers an "Active Adult" package for seniors who are still active and want to move into a vibrant neighborhood, not a retirement community.

• Energy-efficient homes: Every Meritage home complies with Energy Star requirements, ensuring that homeowners will save money on their utility bills and reduce their carbon footprint.

• Luxury homes available: Those interested in living in a larger, more luxurious home can order the from company’s Monterey line of building plans.

• Offers charitable contributions as well as homes: Meritage works closely with Homes for the Homefront, a foundation that secures safe housing for veterans and military families.

• Financing options: Prospective buyers can apply for a mortgage online through MTH Mortgage, an affiliate of Meritage Homes.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Advisor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Meritage Homes Company Information