Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
1.62/5

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

276 Meritage Homes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Buying my Meritage Home was a delight. The home was as promised and the close process was less stressful than I thought it would be. After moving in we did find several issues. But they fixed these issues quickly.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I had a positive and great experience working with Meritage, they have been responsive and prompt to every question and concern. We closed on time as expected. After moving in they were able to immediately satisfy any requests such as paint touch-up and replacements. They do truly care about their customers and the quality of service they provide.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Meritage is a top notch builder. They truly care about the quality of the home they are building you! And they strive to ensure you are informed and knowledgeable every step of the way about what you are buying and the options you are selecting. Building and designing the home was so much fun! And our builder, Coop, make sure that the home was literally perfect. Every tiny imperfection that we pointed out, he has fixed immediately. He went wayyy above and beyond the call of duty to ensure we loved everything about this house. There were literally no unwelcome or unexpected surprises at all. We are so happy with Meritage.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

We just bought a house from them and we were getting an inspection done by the VA because that's who we were using for our loan. VA if you didn't know is the hardest and most serious when it come to protection its veterans. We had 13 other homes inspected from custom which was the worst to Mungo and some other major home builders and they all failed inspection. But we had him inspect a Meritage home for us and their construction was outstanding the inspector said they are using 2x6's in their 2018 homes instead of 2x4's, they use spray foam, the AC units are from Trane and much more.

They let you walk in the houses before you buy them and you don't pay for anything unless it passes your approval. So slow down and look at the house even if it takes 10 times to look at the house. Make sure everything looks good and is functional. They read these reviews and take notes. Some guy said they were using a bad AC unit company. Now in 2018 they are using top of the line Trane's. You also have to look at the area and the neighborhood if there is 300 houses in the community then most likely the houses were rushed and all you have to do is look and say what needs to be fixed. One last thing people complain about is their customer support and they might be right but yelling at them won't help the situation. I hope my review helped some of you guys look at Meritage Homes and say, "Wow what a nice house."

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Bridgewater Subdivision in Simpsonville, SC - 8/9/18 we experienced heavy rain and flooding of the street at **. This is a new home we bought two years ago. The area we live in is a lower area in the neighborhood. Every time it rains we experience varying degrees of flooding in the street, yard, drive and inside some homes. The rainwater comes down the hill at both ends of the road and overflows the drains located along the road. Also the drain water from the Bridge Crossing overflows from the storm drain located across the street from our homes.

This means all the rainwater from the back side of the neighborhood basically runs into Grand River Lane or overflows from the storm drain into Grand River. The design of the drainage system is not correct and cannot handle the rain storms. The water got over halfway up my driveway and about 15 foot from our porch. My neighbor's house flooded into the house and the garage. Every room on the 1st floor flooded. This is the second time their house has flooded due to poor drainage design. Several of us that live in the flooding area are planning on contacting an attorney. I have video footage of the flooding from 8/9/18 and will attempt to upload. I also have several photos.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?

Original review: May 10, 2019

They just use the worst materials, never fix any issues once they handover the house. The whole brick and stone outside the house is cracking apart in 3 years and it's totally unsafe. Backyard is a pool when it rains and few days after the rain or even if the sprinkler was on, and they promised to put a french drain before we closed the house, and never fixed it until now, it's 3 1/2 years we moved in and now they say it's out of warranty. Whatever they are doing they are risking people's lives for money.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I was skeptical about using the Meritage in-house title company, and unfortunately, I was right to be skeptical. My mortgage company struggled repeatedly to get documents turned around in a timely fashion which pushed us to the last minute on our closing. I knew my lender had reached his limit with them, but I had hoped on closing day it would be a different experience. My wife signed documents in Houston at their office, and I signed at their Dallas office. They were so disorganized in Houston that the notary did not have my wife sign all the documents. The Dallas office surprised me with form that should have been sent to my agent a week before to be executed before they got there. The Dallas office sent the documents to the Houston office for my wife to sign - the notary in Houston told my wife she was doing her a convenience.... It is not a convenience if you want to sell a house it is your job.

The notary then told my wife that the Dallas office was mess which affirmed what I had experience. I left the closing and then was called and told by the Houston office to go back to the Dallas office - I get back to Dallas office and they say they didn't need me to come back. What should have been a quick closing wound up taking over 2 hours. I wrote to customer service for a name of someone in the Arizona office to tell my experience too, but they wouldn't provided a name. I'm not saying don't buy a Meritage home but I am telling you don't use CAREFREE TITLE which is their company.

Original review: April 19, 2019

The house is beautifully designed, but to save money they have taken so many shortcuts! The worst of all is the HVAC unit. My home is only three years old and we need to replace our AC/heating unit. I have a 3200 square-foot home and only a 4.0 AC unit. Supposedly, they passed inspection because the house is highly efficient. They were wrong! We need a bigger unit! Shame on Chas Roberts for installing it as well! To get a new unit and ductwork we need about $10,000. We were charged for upgrades that were overpriced, cabinets are cheap, paint on the walls is like cheap chalk and it’s a good thing we added an inch to our moldings because they install the molding before the floor. The attic is so small that the air conditioning unit barely fits. Shower in the master bathroom is tiny, fixtures had to be replaced, and toilet bowls are always leaking. We should of researched better before purchasing the home.

Original review: April 17, 2019

My family and I were excited to buy this house in a beautiful neighborhood and close to our family. However, we didn't realized how tiring, frustrating, and unhappy we would become upon discovering the issues before the closing. I felt that they were rushing us throughout the closing and ignoring the issues we had from the start. The time and tickets we purchased to fly from Las Vegas to Houston and taking uber is not cheap. We have been through numerous walkthroughs of the house and during each walkthrough, we discovered that the work was not done and there were more issues each time. Our walkthroughs started on March 14, 2019 and ended on April 15, 2019. During our last walk through the Master Room electricity was trip for no reason that the electrician was call in to fixed it.

There were numerous issues with the poor workmanship throughout the house, such as the patchy work throughout the rooms. The painting was sloppy: there were spots missing paint, and paint splashed onto the vents and baseboard. The tiles were missing grout, there were missing plates on the door, and the toilet seat was chipped. You can still see visible nail holes on the crown vent hood after its been painted over, and scuff marks on the cabinets. Yet our biggest concern is the flooring: it was uneven, it makes noises, and the floor shifts as we walk on it. We were shocked to find issues with the flooring and brought up the issues on the walkthrough.

The builder didn’t want to recognize the issue, so we decided to go see different floor Specialists, Floors Mecca and Floors for Living, to get their opinions. We had pictures and videos to show them and they all told us it’s bad installation, the floor is not level, and it will eventually buckle overtime and damage each other. They all said the best solution is to redo all the flooring.We brought up the issues of the flooring to Meritage Area Management and met with the manager on April 15, 2019. The manager disregarded us when we brought up the issues. He stated “It is what it is. The Vice President came two weeks ago and the flooring is to our standard. There will be no tearing or fixing of the floor today”. That was his answered to us. He refused to work with us and repeatedly said it was normal for the flooring to make noise when you walk on it with heels, even though we were barefoot when we walked on the floor.

We decided not to close on the house on that day. We went to see two different Floor Specialists. They both told us the same thing that the floor was not level, installation was not proper install, and soon the floor will buckle and damaged each other. We need to fix the whole floor by take everything out and redo it again.We brought in a Floor Specialist, Mark, from Floors Mecca to the house after we spoke to the Meritage Manager. The Specialist checked the floor by knocking his knuckles on the floor, and stepping around the floor. He noticed the obvious sounds of air gap and the floor moving as he steps. His opinions was that the floor was not leveled, the ground to be leveled, improper installation, and the flooring planks will buckle up and damage each other like a domino effect. The best thing is to fix it.

He gave us an estimated about $2,000 to redo the flooring and use the existing materials. We decided to postponed the Escrow closing until the above EVP flooring is resolved. We paid $2,575 additional flooring option for the house so it’s expected that it’s installed correctly. We were really disappointed with Meritage Home.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Both myself and my son went to Georgetown, TX, got swooped up by the sales pitch and before you know it we were both putting earnest money down on lots. During the construction phase, we noticed there was beer drinking on the construction of the homes. We were picking up beer cans in our yards and were on other yards as well. It did not set in well with me or my son but our fault for never going into the office to inquire about this till later. My son made it clear his payment had to be no more than a certain amount monthly, salesperson understood and by my son's precise record keeping of emails when MTH mtg. said, “Oh no this is what your monthly amount will be.” My son was livid.

The whole process shortly after Earnest was given we started to realize our mistake of giving our Earnest money with Meritage was a mistake and was having 2nd thoughts about closing on a Meritage Home. We were willing to lose our Earnest money. But got swept up again with the salesperson person and the builder on staying with the course on our homes. Which now after moving into our homes we see how cheaply these homes are truly and how cheap the appliances are and how VERY poorly these homes are constructed. Once we closed it was a nightmare of lies and deceit from the builder. Our findings are not minor findings. Especially my son's. His patio door on cold nights leaked badly with water seeping in the base of the door, his shower floor cracked only after 1 week of moving into the home. Shelves installed with cracks, painted over the cracks, and so much more.

Now we are finding out we will have to purchase a de-humidifier which will cost us several thousand dollars to install due to the blown in foam insulation. They don't tell you this at your 2 walkthroughs. The home remains with very high humidity if you don't which can lead to mold and severe cracking in your walls. PLEASE stay away from Meritage. They sold this blown in foam insulation as being more efficient. NEVER did they ever tell you you would need to have Aprilaire come in and hook up their de-humidifier in your attic to protect your home. I was so close to going with a DR Horton or KB Home and my son and my mistake was ever stopping into Meritage office. Save yourself the NIGHTMARE. You will never get a call back from from the Meritage Corporate office. BEWARE!!!! STAY AWAY!

Original review: April 8, 2019

We reside in Maricopa Arizona Rancho El Dorado community and we are experiencing huge problems with our home. I tried reaching out to Meritage Homes and they are refusing to fix our home. The upstairs bathtub is leaking water and flowing down to our garage. There are several cracks all over the house. Roof tiles are falling off. Master bedroom ceiling has leaks. Meritage is being sued for bad construction work. Meritage needs to resolve my issue.

Original review: March 21, 2019

Our home was completed March of 2016 however, was definitely not without issues. After 3 attempts to secure the wood floors, they had to be be replaced do to sections throughout popping. Additionally, tile in the bathrooms was doing the same. To date, we still have loose tiles and most likely will have to incur the expense of replacement. Our highly upgraded carpet, has dips throughout as a result of the padding not being seamed together and secured. Mind you, this was supposedly repaired.

Our community, Ashcrest Point, is coming to finalization however, with several unaddressed issues such as, poor drainage between homes and in our common areas, sections of grass not sodded and left as mud pits, trees that were showing on the master plan displayed in the sales center that have not been planted. Many homeowners have attempted contact on multiple occasions with Meritage with not one response which has become what seems to be their mode of operation. PLEASE HEED THESE WARNINGS AND MOVE TO CHOSE A DIFFERENT BUILDER. In short, DON’T DO IT!!!

Original review: March 21, 2019

First home buyer here, and I must say I was excited to move into my house! House is beautiful but lots of issues. The biggest issues we've had are the studs in almost every room are crooked, tile is uneven and grout has holes and is different colors. The corners of baseboards were painted very sloppy and caulking was left sloppy, and untextured walls, and the list goes on. Meritage has been really helpful with getting these issues fixed but still trying to get the tile fixed. I've had them in my house looking at my tile at least 10 times trying to fix it, and it only made it worse!

The people they had come into my house didn't even try to do a good job. They're finally going to fix all the grout by having a crew come in, and they have to stain it to make it look decent. They should replace the whole flooring! It was laid so badly If you decide to build with Meritage make sure you inspect everything they do before you move in and get it fixed right away. Meritage, please do better quality workmanship on your houses! Crooked walls shouldn't be happening!!!

Original review: March 18, 2019

Fayetteville, GA. I gave a great review until a year later started having problems. My walls are crooked, after having a manual j load calculation performed by the top Carrier contractor in Atlanta it was discovered the HVAC unit was undersized by 12,000 btu's. I needed to buy a new larger 5 ton HVAC system and modify ducts on my dime. The builders HVAC contractor stated Meritage told them what size to install, the unit couldn't heat the home properly. My back door frame was not secured, only held up by the hinge screws. Drywall sag: wasn’t properly fastened. The master bedroom exterior wall had a water leak and now the wall is full of mold. My master bedroom wall has been open for 4 months. They keep patching and can't fix water leak.

Original review: March 15, 2019

We bought our home in Tuscawilla Estates in June 2017. Our sales person was excellent. The superintendent changed three times in 4 months; each one worse than the prior. The workers they hire are absolutely horrible. The block the streets with their trucks and fight with the homeowners when we would ask them to move so we could get in or out of the neighborhood.

The materials used in the homes are cheapest of the cheapest. The paint is colored water. We have already replaced the refrigerator, the stove and looks like the dishwasher is next because of the quality of the appliances. By the time we are done we will have made a brand new house. The warranty department does not respond or assist with any of the concerns we have with the home. It has been a total battle to deal with this builder. We will not buy another Meritage home that's for sure.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

We bought a Meritage home in El Dorado Hills, CA brand new in 2017. I was first surprised at the lack of shear wall wrapping the house - Instead only foam board covered with stucco. Broken tiles, unfinished trim, dangerous electrical smoking, plumbing problems, and leaking bent rain gutters are only the tip of the iceberg. Mix that with very poor warranty services and office that won't call you back and you get this review. SAVE YOURSELVES! DO NOT BUY MERITAGE, YOU WILL REGRET IT! The quality is horrible.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

After purchasing my home a little over 2 years not quite 3 years ago I would like to share my experience regarding my home. I have Electrical issues with my home. In my laundry room the electrical doesn't work. In order for me to use my washer I have to plug an extension cord in the hallway in order to wash my clothes or otherwise if I try to use the outlet for the washer it will trip and shut off the washer totally. Now the outlet doesn't work at all. In the kitchen when I use my coffeemaker my refrigerator will shut off and trip so I have to go to the breaker box.

The deck that was built the craftsmanship and the way they built it was horrendous to say the least. I was also unaware since I go in and out of my garage last month when it rain heavily I order delivery and it was a damn pond in the walkway. Literally the delivery person brought it to my attention. I have had issues with the AC & Heating System/Unit since my husband and I have moved into this home, It's also things like the tops of your doors not being painted, underneath the sinks paint on the cabinets. A homeowner should not have these issue with a home less than 3 years old.

I do plan on contacting Meritage Homes to see what can be done about the pond in the walkway when it rains. I did contact them about the electrical issues and of course the warranty is only good for a year. Major components of a home should be warranted more than a year but that says a lot right there! And no new homeowner should have these issues not with major components such as AC & Heating system, Electrical, and a Pond in their walkway. My grade for this builder would be a D- and that's being generous. I wouldn't recommend them and will never use them again!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

We purchased a Meritage town home with an escrow closing date of 12/28/18. It's now 1/31/19 and we're still waiting to take possession. Phone calls to Meritage result in a variety of excuses blaming other parties, including the City, the HOA, Subcontractors, etc. Our point of contact is Robert **, and to categorize him as exceptionally rude and unprofessional would be a colossal understatement. His complete disdain for his customers is so apparent that I can only assume that one of his family members is a principal of the Company.

In an effort to discover what is causing the delay, I contacted the City Building Official and discovered that there were a number of items that the City had issued correction notices for that Meritage ignored and as a consequence, no further certificates of occupancy were being issued until they met the City's requirements. A conscientious reputable developer/builder doesn't burn bridges with the jurisdictions that it builds in, or the purchasers of their product. Sadly, Meritage appears to do both.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Meritage needs to stop being so inflexible and allow buyers to opt for single garage doors or widen the garage entrance for double doors. Their entrance is soooo narrow that I have scratched my car twice in the past 4 months. This is stressful!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Meritage was marketed as an upscale builder in my area (San Antonio). They build with sub-par materials and craftsmanship. The best advice I can give: once you accept the keys, you will never hear or be able to contact them again. So refuse closing until ALL issues are addressed. Warranty work will require a lawyer. I am the original owner and the poor quality shows as time goes by (5+ years).

Windows placed without proper sealing, windows said to have UV protection but do not, electrical wiring below spec, electrical panel with extremely cheap breakers, HVAC unit that took two years to correct (via legal action), water heater failed after two years, materials buried in backyard, paint jobs are beyond terrible, exterior bricks cracking, garage door framing not built/sealed properly, tried to charge for "upgrades" that were actually required by building code (very deceptive)... I could go on and on. The materials have not stood up to time. Trying to get Meritage to stand behind their product/warranty became so futile that I just fixed things on my own. Which is exactly what they want and how their business model works. Strongly recommend you look elsewhere if you're building new.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

My wife and I moved into our home in 2013. It was built in 2012, but due to the holidays, the home was not ready for occupancy until early January. We had several warranty issues the first year. All of the Granite counters had to be replaced in the kitchen, we had some minor problems with the plumbing. A few repairs to the roof. Then about 3 years ago, thing went bad. Our heating and air conditioning system had to replaced, it was under warranty, but it took several weeks to get the new one installed. Then our door in the hallway that is access to the garage, came out from the wall, frame and all. Meritage Homes would not fix it, so we had to repair it.

Then in 2016 the air conditioning and heating system went out again, once again covered under warranty and was replaced in several weeks at a time. Then this summer of 2018, the heating and air conditioning system went out again. This time We were told it was our problem. Meritage Homes just blew us off. I had a licensed contractor and well known company to install a new heating and air conditioning system. I contacted Meritage Homes and informed them that the ceiling in the hallway had to be taken out, just to get the new Air conditioning and heating system installed. I was told by Meritage homes that the ceiling was nothing but cosmetic and not part of the 10 year builder's warranty, including the heating and air conditioning system, that was our problem. We had the new system installed and is working fine but it cost us over $8,000.00 to get this work done.

Here we are a few days from Christmas, we discovered a major water leak in the exterior wall of our home. I called in a plumber, and he would not do the work for fear of voiding our Builder's Warranty. Once again I contacted Meritage Homes, I advised them that the siding on the house had to be removed to get to the leak. The response from Meritage Homes was that the exterior siding was cosmetic and not covered by the Builder's warranty, issued by Meritage Homes. I asked for a letter from Meritage Homes so that we could proceed with the repairs and removal of the siding of our home. All I got from Meritage Homes was an E-mail to proceed with the repairs. We did proceed and discovered major water damage to the structure and the insulation, the water did damage in our kitchen area behind our cabinets.

We also found some exposed electrical wiring in the exterior wall that was not in conduit as required by the National Electrical Code and the International Building Code, so that will be repaired. We got the leak repaired, now we have learned that water supply lines are part of a major lawsuit (NIBCO PEX) as being defective. Damage to the exterior wall and damage in our kitchen ceiling and interior. I also have a big machine in my kitchen trying to dry out the water damaged areas. Most of our dishes from our cabinets are in boxes. So I have tried several times to contact Meritage Homes. Well they are all closed for the Holidays and will not be back until January 2. A recording said if you need warranty work, send an e-mail and Meritage Homes will get back to you sometime in 2019. So far, my wife and I have spent over $10,000 for repairs to a home that was built in 2012/2013. So go buy a Meritage Home and good luck.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Meritage is great when you are buying a new home. When we came for the original walkthrough, we walked the house and went over several issues which were supposed to be complete before the closing. We came back the day before the closing and only one of the items had been completed. They then started to rush to complete the items so we could sign off the next day before the closing. We returned the following morning and was told the garage door dent would be fixed within a week as they were waiting on a new panel. Over 2 months later, the garage door is still not fixed, every item we have submitted for repairs has not been addressed and now we have a water leak in the roof that they have been trying to fix for 2 weeks. I would not recommend Meritage Homes.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Most likely, homeowners who have been in their homes for less than two years will be pleased with Meritage. After that time the cut corners will start to become apparent. Also, reading other reviews it is clear that any experience is highly dependent on the local contractors. Some examples of issues we have encountered include only a single coat of paint being applied to the interior and landscaping contractors who planted two trees that were already banned one county away due to insect infestations; both trees had to be replaced.

Our biggest grievance is with the electrical work. We did not want to cheap Goodman air conditioner units so we paid for the lineset and pre-wire so that better quality units could be added later. It took six years to put together the money and when our HVAC team went to turn on the units we found that there were no circuit breakers installed and that there was not enough room in the panel to accommodate the required breakers. A little more poking around in the breaker box and we discovered that the A/C wires had been tucked in among the breakers, but left loose and not hooked up to anything. The electrician had tucked the wires away behind the cover panel so that it was not obvious they were present. It cost us an additional $1,000 to have a new sub-panel wired in so that the A/C could be wired up to the 2012 building code our house fell under.

Meritage would not discuss the problem over e-mail and were never around when I would call back. So we lodged a complaint with the BBB. The final response was that we were out of warranty and a larger electrical panel was not required because we had an unfinished basement. If the statute of limitations was not exceeded by about six months at the time we would have sued Meritage for fraud. Charging us $1,200 for a line-set and prewire strikes me as fraudulent when the prewire is not actually connected to any breakers and therefore unable to be energized.

The one positive is that in our case the bones of the house have been solid. Perhaps that is the most important detail. Perhaps. We have put more than $20,000 into fixing the various items Meritage skimped on and it would be a lot more expensive if I did not do much of the work myself. The aforementioned electrical work for the A/C is a prime example: the larger breaker box would have cost $75 retail and then four breakers need to be installed so Meritage cheaped out on maybe $150 worth of expenses so we could be hit with a surprise bill for $1,000 down the road. I would not buy another Meritage home and I suspect that we were luckier than most and got one of their better built homes.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Stay away from this builder. They promise everything, and deliver little. They built a house for us in the Houston area. The price is right on their homes and they initially look great. The trim around our back windows has been replaced twice--once by them, and now, by us. They did not even seal the area around the windows correctly. Two years ago, the frame around our back door rotted out and we replaced it. This week we had to totally replace all the tile in one of the upstairs bathrooms because the tiles were falling off. The Contractor said it was one of the crappiest jobs he had ever seen. He also said our other upstairs bathroom would need to be redone as it had the same problem. We had a media room built with a dedicated breaker. The breaker continually trips for no reason---as do other breakers in the house. The electrician said they must have used the cheapest materials they could find. Believe the one-star reviews. Buyer beware.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Those who gave Meritage 5 stars, seems either they are related to Meritage outside of being plain customer or just lucky. Sales team starts off in a nice way. The house is nice to live in. They use foam insulation and good materials so all that is good. But apart from that, everything is bad. They rushed through with the construction ignoring & covering-up construction issues - caught them as I was visiting the construction site couple of times a week. They covered-up areas I wanted to check before putting the brick wall because of tears on wraps - I asked them to let me know so I can confirm it was repaired correctly, but they put up the bricks without letting me know or see if the tears were fixed correctly.

The previous work on tears were not fixed until I pushed them to. When I was pointing out those issues, Meritage was saying I was bringing up lots of issues as if I should ignore them. Then they started pressuring me to close without getting other after construction issues resolved. They said they will fix all those after closing - that now seems like a big lie. Issues which I have being pointing out for more than a month after closing have not yet been resolved. Word of advice - with Meritage do not close until all issues are fixed. Yard is very bumpy such that kids cannot run around without tripping.

Dryer needed repairs (changing drum and side panel) after very first run - Meritage said they will not replace dryer but ask Whirlpool to repair it - so I paid price for new dryer but getting to use a repaired dryer - more like Meritage sold me "refurbished" for price of new - and I am still waiting for the repairs after more than a month after closing. Word of advice - run a full load before closing to confirm if you are getting a bad appliance or not. Shower enclosure leaks from corners. Underground water valves outside are covered in thick layer of dirt, due to neighboring home construction, such that one has to dig through thick dirt to get to the valves. As I have been asking for all these issues to be resolved, I want to meet with Meritage to discuss them, but they try to avoid meeting with me and not respond to emails.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Purchase our home in January 2017. Moved in at the end of August 2017. We noted items in August 2018 with the Warranty Inspector and as of this post October 25, 2018 the items have not been fixed/resolved. Our main issue is the proper leveling of the front yard. For the last 14 months we have complained about the large dip in our yard that creates a pool "every single time it rains" for more than 10 minutes. It takes 3 weeks before the water soaks into the ground. Meritage has come out and installed two small drains but it has not helped.

Meritage claims to be the best builder but they do not pay close attention to detail. With the price of our home and neighborhood one would think they would ensure proper drainage of every home and common area in a brand new neighborhood where they are the only builder. What you can expect is substandard construction and every excuse possible to prevent doing the necessary work. We made a poor decision when choosing them as a builder. I am now waiting for a return call from the Corporate Office and will continuing calling them until I can talk with someone.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

How can a person buy a new home. You bring in your "home property manager" for the 1 year inspection punch list/repair list, and you show them the "WARPED" front door, and even this managers repairman/contractor, and the person from the window/door 84 Lumber Guy says it is warped. But your "manager:" says, it is "acceptable", and goes as far as to tell the homeowner, "you can pursue it, but nothing will be done"! SERIOUSLY! This is how your company operate? Warped front entry doors? A brand new build with an "Acceptable" warped front door"? I do not believe as a brand new build, the homeowner purchased a WARPED door? Would YOU? No you would not!

Now, there are few things the homeowner can overlook, the crown molding gaps not being filled, the doorknobs not working, the drainage outside being buried in the mud, etc., but a warped front entry door, come on? Right is RIGHT and wrong is WRONG, and THAT IS WRONG! IS MERITAGE Homes only "Acceptable"? Is that what you want to be known as, that You build "acceptable" homes? I think you would prefer "exceptional", wouldn't you? Along with Exceptional Homeowner Customer Service? I would love to hear back from someone regarding this and not just be ignored please.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

The entire process from signing the agreement, selecting the options at the design center, construction and financing has been challenging and disappointing. The lack of professionalism and customer service from the sales team to management is evident throughout the company. The experience has not been pleasant rather stressful. Our biggest concern is the poor quality of workmanship from damaged cabinets, paint spills on the floor and outlets, stained quartz countertops, scratches on stainless steel appliances and hood range, red paint on sidewalk and door trim, missing caulking, etc. The construction/project manager, Heather **, indicated the cracks on the kitchen cabinets were normal.

We purchased their top of the line wood cabinets and did not expect to see any scratches or joist tearing apart. She insisted that this is normal. We contacted the cabinet manufacturer and scheduled an inspection. The manufacturer confirmed that after installation, they inspected the cabinets and no damages were on any of the cabinets. The inspector indicated that he informed Heather that installing the floor and backsplash after installation of cabinets would be an issue and could cause damages. The inspection did confirm several damages to the cabinets and pending resolution from Meritage Homes. Our second concern is how the quartz countertops were handled. During our site visit, we noticed that the countertop was being used by their contractor for tools, boxes, etc. We noted in our walk through that the countertop has several stains in it. Heather indicated that it will be cleaned prior to our closing.

We closed on our home and the countertops were still stained and dirty. Heather sent a countertop guy to clean the surface within a week. The cleaning person removed some of the stain, but the countertop is now lacking shine or luster and has blotchy spots. Again, we notified Heather, we provided her a photo of the countertop during construction which shows that it was used by her contractors. She insisted that no damage was done to the countertop and blamed us for inspecting the property during construction and bringing meals to the crew. We have requested to have the manufacturer inspect the countertops, this is pending resolution as well. In addition, weigh your options with financing based on their closing costs contributions and interest rate, which is considerably higher than the market rate. Overall, the company lacks customer service and detail to quality. Staff were unprofessional and shows no care for customers. It has been a disappointing experienced and we hoped that no one else suffers through this type of treatment.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

The warranty follow up work as a seasonal homeowner has been a nightmare. We have spent more time waiting for subs and repair work than we have spent enjoying our home. The lack of respect and customer service to return an email or a text is unbelievable. Beautiful design and floor plan but a bust on finish quality and customer service.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

We purchased our Meritage Home in November 2013. My wife was concerned when the company was telling us we had to pay more money and move our closing day. My wife commented to me, that we were not responsible for their error and why should we have to pay for their mistake so, she said, "Let's not buy the house. Something sounds odd." I wish I had listened and let them keep my earnest money but, I didn't. Please do listen to all the negative reviews. We begun to have issues with this builder from the moment we put our earnest money down. They do make all sorts of promises and do not honor them especially after you close. They will prop up their company by telling you about how wonderful their warranty is. However, buyer beware! Just finished with our case that was recently closed with the Better Business Bureau.

The BBB stated, they have answered the complaint and was not resolved (this is how they are listing it on their website). As with most warranty issues we have had they have refused to repair the problem and with the majority of issues we were told by their customer representatives, "This is not a warranty issue." So predictable and with each warranty issue we always expected that answer. We became well aware their employees are trained in this manner. Sadly to say, when you do come across a customer representative that recognizes that there is problem and attempts to do the right thing they fire them. I asked the Better Business Bureau how they can even give this company an A+ rating. I got no response. Please! Please, do yourself a favor and choose another builder!

Meritage Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

Meritage has built over 90,000 homes since its inception in 1985. All of its homes are Energy Star compliant. Meritage currently builds in nine states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. The company has been named Texas Builder of the Year five times.

• Homes for seniors available: Meritage offers an "Active Adult" package for seniors who are still active and want to move into a vibrant neighborhood, not a retirement community.

• Energy-efficient homes: Every Meritage home complies with Energy Star requirements, ensuring that homeowners will save money on their utility bills and reduce their carbon footprint.

• Luxury homes available: Those interested in living in a larger, more luxurious home can order the from company’s Monterey line of building plans.

• Offers charitable contributions as well as homes: Meritage works closely with Homes for the Homefront, a foundation that secures safe housing for veterans and military families.

• Financing options: Prospective buyers can apply for a mortgage online through MTH Mortgage, an affiliate of Meritage Homes.

• Best for: Meritage Homes is best for highly independent people, active seniors, people with special needs and environmentalists.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Meritage Homes Company Information