2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.49/5

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Meritage Homes Reviews

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

I moved in Spring Brook Village in Houston in May 2019. After I moved in I had cracks in the front wall, Meritage built an inventory house next to me and it damaged my walls next to inventory house. Mr Kelly ** stop by. Check on the issues and he called Mr ** to fix the door to entrance which had big crack and all other issues for my house. Mr. ** came to me same day and did wonderful job. I am really happy with Meritage Springbrook Village. I really appreciate to the Meritage home. Mr Kelly ** fixed my garage door by himself the day he stop by to look at the problems that I had.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

We purchased the house since end of March 2019, so it’s about 6 months we stayed in the community Lake Cove by Meritage Homes in Lake Worth - Florida. Lindsey is our home agent and Debbie is our mortgage agent. Both of them provided me and my husband the best possible home buying experience and this is our very first home. As a first time home buyer, we have so many questions that needed to be addressed and both Lindsay and Debbie were phenomenal helped us to ease our curiosity. During the process of home buying, they were so on top of it. They always keep us update on the process and always there when we need them.

As well as for the construction manager – Jim, he was the construction manager at the time we moved in to our new home. He really helped us a lot to get to know our new house and addressed all the house regarding questions/issues to make us comfortable at our new place. But it seems like Jim was no longer the construction manager from now forward. Meritage has a new construction manager that we don’t really know or has not get the chance to know him.

So far, there no big issue about the house and I’ve been told that normally for all the new house it need to be settled-in for couple months after it build. I believe as part of the Meritage Home warranty, they will have a one year check or review by the end of the first year we moved in. So if there any issues come up, we can submit the claim and covered by Meritage Home warranty. Overall, I wish all the best for Meritage Home and thank you for building our very first home.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I would like to say Thank you Meritage Home for giving us our dream home. The staff was truly caring, understanding and patience with us. Lindsay kept us posted and went out of her way to let us know the progress of our home. There was never a time we couldn't call Debbie or Lindsay with any questions. From day one they Debbie said, "We will get you into this house we promised you this," and they did. I have never experience such ease with buying A home. We couldn't be anymore happier than we are with our new Meritage Homes.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

Meritage Homes, Lindsey ** our home agent at the Lake Cove community, as well as Debbie **, our mortgage agent- provided me and my husband the best possible home buying experience. We had two homes as contingency, and they were so helpful in keeping us organized, informed, and were super flexible during the many contracts that fell through on selling one of the properties. We literally have our dream home after a rollercoaster of a year in our personal lives. Thank you Meritage, and thank you Lindsey and Debbie for everything!!!

Original review: June 24, 2020

The realtor is not professional. He allowed several people to walk through the house after doing the final walk through of the home. No one is supposed to walk through your home after you do a final walk through inspection to ensure that no additional issues pop up after the inspection. The Meritage Home realtor completely disregarded the policy. The realtor is completely unapproachable and unwilling to help individuals unless you meet "his" requirements. Take it for what it's worth, but you might want to consider working with someone more interested in helping the buyer instead of the seller.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?

Original review: June 23, 2020

We had a problem with every single person we dealt with at Meritage Homes during the creation of our custom home. Most of them were outright rude, while a few others just seemed like they didn't care about whether we were happy with the home. Their new program allows for minimal customization of the house to the point that you end up with a house that feels like a compromise rather than the home you wanted. The sales associate told us the wrong closing date because he was looking at the data on the wrong house.

One week from closing, we were told that there was a two-week delay. Worst yet, they acted vengefully because we didn't use their lender and title company, and withheld the keys from us for a full day after closing. So they had my money and my house. Completely illegal, and I was close to having to get lawyers involved. Lastly, the oven had rust on it, but they refused to help us, and the manufacturer's warranty had 30-day warranty had expired, mostly because the house was delayed so many times by the time we purchased it. Frankly, we hate this house, and I wish I never had given my money to Meritage Homes.

Original review: June 23, 2020

I was happy with my selection and ready to get in my new home. During my inspection there were several issues that came up and and were presented to the builder. I was told that they would be taken care of. Charles ** is the contractor for this edition of homes. He promised to take care of all the issues I pointed out. This man and the sales manager have Randy ** say they will take care of the issues, they have not. I still have broken and missing pieces of a house. This has been a horrible home buying experience. I feel that I have been taken. Long story short, if you buy with this builder make sure it’s what you can except before you close. They don’t stand behind their house. Maybe just look for a reputable builder.

Original review: June 14, 2020

We are in a new construction home and have had numerous issues in which the warranty department was contacted. Most issues have been tended to, with a handful or so left, but they definitely have not been tended to in a timely manner! One of the major issues we have that is being deemed “cosmetic” is the cracking/breaking of our kitchen countertop, which is upgraded granite. We have significant breaks on each side of the installed cooktop as well as the middle seam in the front and back are separating. Also, on the right side of the countertop, the granite is “floating” and has zero support underneath it.

We have had other reputable Stone companies come out and look at our situation after Meritage only agreed to do a “courtesy repair” aka glue the pieces together for the “cosmetic issue”, to get a second opinion. The companies all have the same response. This is NOT a cosmetic issue, this is a workmanship issue that has caused the breaks. They also pointed out that our lower cabinets are not level, therefore causing weak or no support at all under the granite. In fact, the middle section of cabinetry under the cooktop actually wiggles and moves, right along with the broken pieces of granite that run along the front. The companies all said the same thing, that the broken granite needs to be replaced, that a repair may hold temporarily but it most definitely isn’t a permanent fix to the situation.

We have reached out to different levels of management both with Meritage and Allied Stone Inc (who did the install) via email and phone calls and we have yet to hear back from anyone once we requested to escalate the situation to upper management (above the warranty rep, warranty manager and construction manager). We have requested information such as names and email addresses and/or phone numbers for area representatives of management and that too has not been provided. All we want is resolution and the situation made right. We paid extra for upgraded granite and we never would have dreamed that this is the situation we would be dealing with.

Original review: June 12, 2020

We paid like $380,000 for this new home located in GA and most of the parts in the house looked like they've have not done any quality check before hand it over to clients. (cracks or parts not being glued) The funny thing is, they blamed everything on weather changes (cool or heat caused the house to shrink or expand, what?). Backyard, half of the land were planted with new grasses and other half you need to buy it yourself. All the uneven parts of the wall, ceiling, and needle bumps would not be showed during daytime, but when night hits, you turn on the indoor lights, SUPER SUPER obvious that the Meritage Home did not take care the drywalls in "professionally" way.

Original review: May 15, 2020

Unacceptable work. I settled on my house Nov 2016. I have had several problems since then. The Whirlpool tub did not work. I called twice and they finally replaced the motor which was bad. The air conditioning unit has to be serviced every year due to the installer not installing properly. Two years in a row had to have freon which was $3<8 the first year and 600 the second year. I have spoken to Meritage. They referred me to lie Horizon who installed it.

I spoke to Jose several time who said he would email the owner and get back to me which he never did. Each time I called he said my request was denied so I asked for the owner's name and phone number. Said he had no contact with the owner. So back to Meritage who said they couldn't do anything because of the warranty expiration. But as I explained it was never installed correctly so nothing but excuses. I would never recommend buying a Meritage home if you want to save money on issues they should be taking care of. Do yourself a favor and buy elsewhere.

Meritage Homes author review by Joseph Truini

Meritage has built over 90,000 homes since its inception in 1985. All of its homes are Energy Star compliant. Meritage currently builds in nine states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. The company has been named Texas Builder of the Year five times.

• Homes for seniors available: Meritage offers an "Active Adult" package for seniors who are still active and want to move into a vibrant neighborhood, not a retirement community.

• Energy-efficient homes: Every Meritage home complies with Energy Star requirements, ensuring that homeowners will save money on their utility bills and reduce their carbon footprint.

• Luxury homes available: Those interested in living in a larger, more luxurious home can order the from company’s Monterey line of building plans.

• Offers charitable contributions as well as homes: Meritage works closely with Homes for the Homefront, a foundation that secures safe housing for veterans and military families.

• Financing options: Prospective buyers can apply for a mortgage online through MTH Mortgage, an affiliate of Meritage Homes.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Meritage Homes Company Information