Meritage Homes

Compare Home Builders & Developers

Research top Home Builders & Developers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Want a home to get into quick? No problem! These people love to rush you into your poorly made home just to get their paycheck. My husband and I built our second home with Meritage within 2 years of building our first. (Our mistake) We recently added to our family and felt we should expand our home. We had such a good experience with our first home we knew this is where we wanted to go. This time we were given a new construction manager.

We had numerous issues along the way of building of our new home (one includes a misunderstanding on the "design center", the construction manager was unwilling to fix the mistake (which was on their end) and was very unprofessional responding back to our questions of what had happened. After coming to an "agreement" things were finally "settled", we have been in our new home for 5 1/2 months and we keep finding more and more problems. Carpet has already buckled, kitchen cabinets are all hung incorrectly, and this is only the beginning of the rushed job and laziness this company has provided for us.

One issue that we are running into this time around is the amount of tires on our vehicles that have popped due to the lack of cleaning the streets. We are on our third tire purchase in less than 6 months. They have refused to help reimburse any payments of any sort as it's a "construction zone" and they have people "who walk around and look for stuff in the road"!!! The trash from the workers that is in our lawn continuously being blown daily is unbelievable. My husband and I completely understand that things happen, but the lack of customer service after you get into your home and they get your money leads me to write this review of disappointment.

We are very disappointed with the building of our new home built 02-2017. The painting, sanding, and trimming is very sloppy, kitchen cabinets put up with chips, crack in the garage, doorbell doesn't work, the staining of the rails, and cabinets sloppy, ceiling and molding not smooth, and the door trimming very rough. This is our 3rd home by three different builders, and this is the worst of them all. So many imperfection by the company. We paid over 300,000 for our home but the work looks worst than a 100,000 home. What a disappointment.

Purchased our home July 2011. Upon purchasing our new home, we were not given the option to opt out of the solar system. Our system is by Sun Edison who is in bankruptcies courts now has not honored their warranty. Since Meritage made this a standard system with the new home they were notified of the system not making hot water and fresh air not coming into the home.

Sun Edison owns all parts that could fix this system not Meritage. They are responsible for choosing this company and not having any rights to the materials that were used on their homes they built. All parts need to be taken out of homes and rerouted to make home up to code without the system. Meritage by email stated that they would honor the warranty and fix problem. I put in my warranty claim 8/31/16. So far nothing has been fixed and all we have received is a letter stating they are trying to figure out what to do. Meanwhile our warranty gets closer to expiring. Looking for company to do a Class Action Suit!

Very poor craftsmanship. Cracked walls, crooked walls, molding pulling away from walls, damaged bath tubs that were purchased new but forced to have refurbished. Water damage that they were made aware of prior to finish construction but they chose to finish construction without addressing the water issue. Damaged cabinets, damaged refrigerator, 99% of mitered corners did not meet South Carolina construction code. We moved in in September. It is now March we still have blue marker tape throughout the house. We went to Chris ** via email and telephone calls explained our concerns. We were informed that it's a normal process during construction. So apparently Meritage believes that crooked walls, poor craftsmanship, water damage, carpet that's poorly installed, water leaks within the first two weeks of living in the home is all normal.

One of the worst construction outfits I have ever had to deal with. When you purchase a $500,000 home you expect excellent craftsmanship and you would expect that your issues would be addressed within a timely matter. So unfortunately for Meritage anybody that asked me I told them do not buy from them. They have poor craftsmanship. They build with low grade products and verbatim we were told "that's not how we repair things" in reference to a wall that was off by 3 inches. Their fix was to use mud to build the wall up so that it no longer looked crooked. Had they addressed her concerns from the beginning regarding worked 2 x 4's. Cracked 2 x 4's walls that were not even and mitered corners that were off by a quarter inch on every corner of my house. Had they done it correctly to start with we wouldn't of had to worry about the comment that's not how we repair things.

Basically when you purchase from Meritage homes you are lied to. You are informed that their way is the only way. You have people working in your home that don't speak English nor do they understand the simple phrase clean up after yourself, please do it correctly. After several phone calls, several emails, our home is still not finished to our satisfaction nor do I believe it ever will be. We were told when we signed that all of these issues would be addressed and taken care of within 30 days. We are going on seven months and I still cannot decorate my home because of all of the blue marking tape. If you are purchasing a home look elsewhere. Do not purchase a Meritage home.

Construction issues -- gutter falling off. We bought a new Meritage Home in Charlotte 3 years ago. The gutter on 1 entire side has come off and hanging. I sent them an email and got a standard response that it is out of warranty. They further asked me to refer to homeowner's manual for care and maintenance of gutters. They don't seem to get this is a major construction defect and the gutters don't come off in 3 years. Or 15 years. I showed it to an expert and he says they used nails instead of long screws to hold these gutter. What a shoddy quality and horrible customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?

We bought a brand new spec home from Meritage Homes in June 2011. Meritage Homes gave us two-year warranty. The hardwood floor in the house was hand scraped. So we do expect to see some unevenness on the hardwood floor. However by April 2013, we noticed severe unevenness of the hardwood floor near the kitchen area. It was just different from the rest of the hardwood floor in the house.

So at the end of April 2013, still within the warranty limit, I emailed the Meritage Homes-DFW Warranty Department. I told them the floor was moving up. I also told them I was concerned about the water leaking as the reason. Meritage Homes did respond to me immediately. Some people came to my house. I showed the people where the hardwood floor was moving up. The people, without using any tools, just by visual observation, said that there was no leaking. They said that if there was any leaking, the drywall near the problematic hardwood floor area would turn to black.

Since Meritage Homes determined there was no leaking, there was not much I could ask them to fix. We just kept being very careful about using water in the kitchen. I even sealed the line where the countertop and the backsplash join. However our hardwood floor just gets worse with more boards moving up. I cannot see any water, on the floor or under the kitchen sink.

Yesterday morning, I decided to remove one baseboard near the problematic hardwood floor. As soon as I remove the baseboard, I saw water coming out. Yesterday morning, I emailed Meritage Homes-DFW Warranty Department immediately after using the same email chain when I first reported the floor moving up issue to them in April 2013. I have not got any email response back from them. Yesterday morning, I also called Meritage Homes-DFW Warranty Department (972-580-6338) and left a voice message. I have not received any call back from them.

This morning, I called Meritage Homes-DFW Warranty Department manager Tom (**) and left a message for him. Tom called me back not long after. Tom asked me to text him my home address and some photos, and said he would send someone over to take a look. I texted everything he asked for to him. However, I have not received any calls from him since noon. I called Tom again this afternoon and left him another voice message.

It has been two whole days without having anyone from Meritage Homes to come out to take a look of the leaking. Because it is leaking, we have stopped using the kitchen water. Now we have to wash dishes and prepare food in our tiny laundry room. Life becomes very miserable. We just hope Meritage Homes can come out, take a look, and help to fix the leaking issue. I am writing this up to look for help. For any of you out there, if you have any ideas how we can get help, please let me know. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This website was created in response to going through the Meritage Homes - home buying process. If you have built a home with MTH, received misinformation during the home process from MTH agents, unfulfilled warranties, construction defects or pressure to sign a contract due to MTH sales paperwork negligence, this webpage is for you. I will be compiling all complaints so I can gather information to move forward with a systematic release of information to local and national websites, newspapers, state insurance commissions, Better Business Bureau, State Departments of Consumer Affairs where MTH have established businesses. Please join this Facebook page or send all questions to **.

We had been looking for a new home for awhile and were very excited about Meritage's floor plans and available lots. We purchased the home at The Preserve in Colorado. There were items that needed to be fixed prior to closing, but we were promised they would be taken care of "right away". We found more items during the 21 day walk through. That was 8 months ago and they still have not resolved the issues. Our counter is severely deeply gouged and has been since before closing, we are missing a faucet top in the master bathtub, the tile wall is bulging in the hall bath and leaking into the basement. NOT little things!!! We've heard every excuse in the books why they haven't been able to make the repairs. They won't back up what they say. If I would have known they were going to be this way, I never would have closed on the house. I trusted them to do what they said they would. They lied.

I have been in my home for three years. Meritage has to automatically contact all homeowners to repair stucco cracks since these homes are literally built within 3/4 months!! The house does not "settle" and by the time these cracks appear you are told it is out of warranty. I have had water damage to my property due to stucco cracks. I have had to pay $11, 400.00 to get them repaired. Please future homeowners do not buy the homes in Dr. Phillips. They have hurriedly built by different contractors, some good, some not. My staircase has been squeaking from day one. The upstairs floor boards are uneven and the bathroom fixtures are so cheap they keep falling off. Basically you have to redo the entire home once you move in. I used to live in a Toll Brothers property and I regret choosing Meritage. It is a shame Toll Brothers is not in Dr. Phillips!!! Whatever you do DO NOT BUY A MERITAGE HOME!

The construction Manager has been abrasive in person and on phone, turning new home buyer concerns and questions into major worries and stress and the model we were shown is not what Meritage is building. Guess I should've read the reviews here first. We toured the model of the Majestic and were advised that a spec home of that model had just had the slab poured and agreed to purchase it. After plumbing was added, very large cracks (thick enough to insert a coin in some places and uneven to the touch) appeared throughout the slab. We expressed concern about tile cracking down the road and moisture to the construction manager and he blew us off, saying that this was normal, and that all slabs had cracks and there was nothing that needed to be done.

He maintained this stance until we recorded a person laying tile in the neighborhood looking at it, stating that there would be problems later if a membrane were not put down first and that it was not standard in this neighborhood for a membrane to be laid. Then the construction manager advised that they would be doing a membrane. This should've been the response from the start. If it had been, our concerns would've been laid to rest immediately instead of making us question the quality of the home and the construction manager's competence.

When we noted that the shower stall in the master bath had been framed several inches smaller than what was in the model (and knowing this wasn't something listed as an option), the construction manager advised that what was done was wrong and would be even smaller after it was corrected to match the plans for the house. A difference of six inches smaller. When we questioned why it was different from the model we were shown, we were told 'the plans changed', that they could not match the model because it would 'compromise the integrity of the slab'.

When asked why it would affect the integrity of the slab in our home but not the model, we were advised "... the model was poured that way with the slab just like yours. However the difference is that we would have to chip and cut out the additional six inches on your slab which will negatively affect the slab..." Then the construction manager advised they could cut it out and re-do that section but the window would be off center and the slab would no longer be monolithic in that area and to let them know if we wanted to proceed. After consulting other professionals in the building industry who advised that it just needed to be anchored and inspected properly, we advised that we were okay with this change and to proceed with it.

The construction manager then advised that they 'were not going to honor the request' and the "size of the shower is not an error and is according to plan and we are not going to change it to match the model". We were never provided plans with dimensions for the spec home and had no reason to believe it would differ from the model in ways that have nothing to do with options. Really can't help but wonder what other surprises are in store for us over the next months.

In a new Meritage subdivision, called the Preserve. Specifically questioned sales manager about the possibility of fracking in the area. We were told no. One month ago we received notification from Great Western Oil and Gas informing us of plans to drill 10 horizontal wells under The Preserve with information that said they got rights in the late 90's. So now, off we want to sell our house, we will need to disclose fracking under the neighborhood even though Meritage Homes did not disclose to potential buyers. Speaking with a lawyer about a possible lawsuit.

I purchased my first house build by Meritage Homes at Parkside at Chilton Dr. Orlando FL 32836. Since then it has been the worst experience of my life. I think every year they rush to sell the houses before December 31st to meet their quota that they end up delivering imperfect housing. Hence, I ended up with the same and had to spend weeks to prepare the long list of items which needed to be fixed from the floor tiles, kitchen cabinets, plumbing, electrical, bathrooms, doors, lawn, garage, driveway and the list goes on. I have not been able to enjoy my $700K house since I bought it. I contacted the developer to fix the issues and after one year the repairs are still not completed.

I have not been able to have a normal life cause of construction crew in and out of my house for the past one year. I had to take time off my work to meet these people for which I have lost time, wages, and been in hardship due to slow progress over a year now. My life has been miserable and under lot of stress caused by this developer. After trying to get resolution for almost one year, last week I met with their representative at my house during which I highlighted few of my major concerns and wanted to resolve the issues. I just got their response in which they totally declined to do anything further. At the time of purchase Meritage Homes must have known that that they will be building a new housing in my backyard and a Public School but that was not disclosed to me. Had I known that I would have NEVER bought this house.

Then they shorted me 1250 square footage of my lot as they had community wall there of which I did not know and found out later during design selection it was too late then. When I complained about it they tried to compensate a small amount and on the total house price. I was not happy with it and they got me in a fix and I could not do anything about it. I kept asking them for one year and they finally replied and declined to compensate any further. This developer has taken advantage of my situation and left me helpless.

Secondly, I wanted privacy, so purchased a corner lot. I had to pay extra $15k for it. Four months later the developer started to build another community right in my backyard. There used to be nice tall nature trees and now they are gone and it is a flat ground. My privacy is gone. The next community can see right in my living room. The privacy wall which is there does not give privacy and it is not tall enough.

The worst of all, the entrance to this community is right in front of my living room. That means all the traffic going in and out will look inside my house and especially at night time the lights will beam in my living room. This has caused a tremendous stress on me. I have lost the privacy, safety, and enjoyment of the house. I have asked the developer to raise the wall by few feet to provide me that peace and he has flatly refused it. The developer is more concerned about making money and taking advantage of the people providing cramped houses on top of each other. Taking away the joy of house from me.

Purchased home April 1, 2015 solar with Solar Hot Water?? First service from Meritage Homes system up & running start saving. Approved by all. Problems - contacted Meritage Homes. Meritage Homes contractor SunEdison Nov 2015, no hot water. Jan 2016 second service, contractor your Solar Hot Water system is not hooked up. No wiring to pump, pump in backwards. Contacted Meritage Homes we will pay out of the pocket cost for the warranty work on the solar system. Work order issued to contractor. Shows up Sept 28, 2016. Third service again Meritage Homes.

Contractor hired by Meritage Homes founder of company. Shows up & disconnects the system costing homeowner, useless cannot be repaired. No parts stated needs to be replaced. Contractor provided work order on what needed to be done to replace system.. Lots of phone calls & e-mails between all this. Agreed to replace hot water tank & several other items. Refuses to replace the tree roof hot water panels. Like the hot water heater the whole system was paid to Meritage Homes who gladly took the money.

Final today customer service manager Meritage Homes will not replace three panels & will require a complete signed release form releasing them from all responsibility of the home solar system. Meritage Homes agreed to pay out of pocket cost of the warranty work which is a long warranty. But now after all these months they want a signed release before they will perform any work! Do other homeowners have? Or concerns over the solar hot water heating system.

If you're reading these review now 99% chance that you planning to build house in Watermark with Meritage Homes. I know that because year ago this site and this reviews gave me hard time to make decision to sign contract with this builder or not. One year ago we started to look for community where we can build our new home. Different places have been seen and a lot of customer reviews read. But we have chosen to follow our gut feeling and trust it and went with Meritage Homes.

Now we finally moved into our Barrett plan and not disappointed. We love it. And we love location, school, neighbors and access to everything that might be needed by family with kids. It is awesome place and we do not have any issue with contraction, with closing process, with financing and escrow money. I mention all this because year ago it was my main concern when I found scary reviews about Meritage Homes. None of those issues been met in Winter Garden Florida in Watermark community.

I want to tell big thank to all those people involved in making our dream come true. Guys to all you (and sorry if someone won't be mentioned) our family saying thank you and all blessings: Shawn **, Tim, loan officer, closing agent, plumbers, roofers, flooring firms, painting contractors, lawn workers, cleaning company, windows and doors installers, electricians and everyone else who been involved. I live now here and see how hard your job is and how you trying to do your best and on time. Thousand thanks to all of you. Shawn ** was the first person we met in sales office and the person who made us trust Meritage Homes. Shawn, thanks for your patience and help.

Meritage (Hayward) asked me to pay an additional cost of $14K for a solar system after a few days I signed purchase contract. They said it's a mandatory and I have to accept this "no choosing" options. It's not a professional way to sell a house without telling the full information. It is unacceptable, and Meritage cannot force buyer to accept the option they do not want to it.

I live near one of the sites where it has been advertised that Meritage homes is building some new single family dwellings. I am looking for a ranch style home and they have 2 ranch style models in this new project that I am interested in. I went to their website and filled out a bunch of information and submitted questions about their homes. I also called their number on their website about this new area, The Trails at Coal Creek in Lafayette, CO. I have not gotten any response from my inquiry posted on their website and I have not received a phone call back. I would ask this question: If they are this crappy at responding to communication when it comes to getting new business, then how are they going to respond if I am a new homeowner in their home and I have a problem? From all indications, if they can't even respond to new business, they certainly won't be responding when someone has a problem or complaint that needs addressed.

Home owners beware. This looks like a shady operation. I am disappointed in the city of Lafayette that with the little amount of new construction in this area, in the Boulder Valley School District, that they would not do business with a more reputable business. I will be letting the city of Lafayette know. They better be prepared for lots of complaints about this project.

We bought a new home in Aug that was already built. We did our 1st walk through before closing and found a page full to put on the list to fix. Some of the items were fixed but others we are still waiting on. It's been over 1 month and we are still waiting for our list to be completed since moving in Aug 12. For being a new home it feels like a used one. I cannot recommend anyone to buy a home from this company. I would highly recommend any future home buyers to really inspect for workmanship before buying. Our home is in Spartanburg County, SC.

We drove 60 miles to look at Meritage Homes in Dawson Pointe in Dawsonville GA only to find the sales office closed on Sat 9/10/16. at 12 PM. We called the sales office only to get a recorded message saying they were closed that Saturday (the sign said open on Sat and Sun). We called back Sun and got the same message from Sat. I called the corporate office and was told they would call and email the agent and have him call us. No return call. Called the corp office again 2 days later and had the same conversation and told them other people also stopped by the sales office while we were parked there wanting to speak with someone for information/pricing on the development and this was leaving a bad taste in our mouth. Still, no return call.

I searched for complaints about Meritage and found these horror stories about purchasing from them and the quality of the homes. Thanks to everyone who has commented here. My experience attempting to reach someone for information on the development along with these experiences have helped me avoid a HUGE mistake in trying to purchase/build a new home with them.

I purchased in Kingswood Village, TX. The house got delayed 4 months to complete. The worst landscape given, it was such a pathetic job. Every time it rains, it creates water puddle and canal. Water get stuck and no drainage. They put beach sand to fix, Grass has died and nothing has improved, still same issues. Construction quality is also poor.

I've contracted a house with Meritage Homes. They told me fact about what's going to include in a home as standard at the time of contact. I been visiting that home many times and they were saying "You will get exactly same house like this except no tile" and believed that. Later on till now it's been 2 months, I've contracted. I've been visiting many times their office just for selection of bricks. Once I made selection they approved and said it will not changed & if you changed I will be charged extra money for that - I agreed. But one or other reason they have to keep changing my brick even though don't like it. Their entire staff from salesperson to corporate office cover each other on their mistake.

They asked for $5K of earnest money, so you can't do anything. When I asked in what case I can get my money back. They said only if I lost job or my loan don't get approved. Later after 2 months now they said "Changed your bricks but we will not compensate you anything." Such a poor and bad service. Never recommended to buy house from Meritage Builder.

This is to anybody looking to buy a Meritage home in Sierra Ridge Parker Colorado. My husband and I were misrepresented and misinformed on a APARTMENT COMPLEX BUILT IN THE SUBDIVISION THAT ALL 240 UNITS BEING BUILT ARE LOW INCOME APARTMENTS. The salesperson just said apartments which apartments in Denver rent for 1200 to 2100 a month which would of been fine. We put down a 24,000 dollar earnest money which was an outrageous amount for a deposit to even ask for, now we know why. I talked to the division president Rusty Crandall which I had to leave 3 messages before he would return my phone call and said under these circumstance we want our earnest money back. Mr. Rusty Crandall said he would not return our 24,000 because that was our due diligence to figure that out.

There is not one thing on the internet about these apartments in Sierra Ridge Parker Colorado that ALL 240 UNITS ARE LOW INCOME, you had to go down to public records in Douglas County to get this information. The only reason we found out about this someone told us at a downtown Parker restaurant WHERE WE WERE HAVING LUNCH or we would of never FOUND OUT and moved in. We also wrote a letter to the CEO of Meritage who lives in Scottsdale Arizona STEVE HILTON, NO RESPONSE and the letter was sent certified and signed by Arlene **. I ask Mr. Crandall who makes the final decision in getting our 24,000 dollars earnest money and he said me.

Buyers beware! If anyone is considering the purchase of a Meritage home, please be advised accordingly. As a real estate broker I am obligated to disclose material facts and actual knowledge for what I know about real property. This is a full accounting of what I will say is the very best example of the worst residential construction I've ever seen. In 14 years as a realtor with experience working for two home builders, 23 years of prior experience as an engineer with industrial construction projects, and now as a broker-in-charge of my own company, I have never seen a more disengaged group of people building homes, touting "quality", and completely disrespecting buyers of their products.

Please, if you are considering buying a new home, use a realtor to represent you. There is typically no cost to the buyer to have an agent in a purchase if the home is listed for sale by a builder or real estate company. Also, make sure to monitor the build process at least weekly. Take photos. When the build is completed definitely hire a home inspector to make sure everything is installed and works safely. Follow along below.

My client, who I will refer to as ABC, signed a Meritage Homes sale agreement in August 2015. This nightmare lasted a full year and ABC was finally released and refunded in August 2016. Meritage built a defective structure and attempted to close on this, but our inspections prevented ABC from becoming the owner of an unsafe, defect-riddled property. But, to get to this point ABC spent thousands of dollars in inspection fees, a structural engineer, and an attorney. ABC was partially restored financially, but the emotional scars will last a long time. After the foundation was poured and the framing was up, the site superintendent performed the pre-drywall walk with the buyer and myself. At that time, we found damage done to the fiberglass bathtubs in the hall bath and the upstairs bath.

Holes were punched through the new fiberglass by framing members behind the tubs. The damage was subsequently patched (not replaced) and refinished on site. As the build continued we began photographing other defects and calling them out to the superintendent and sales agent. Their response was always the same; “it’s a process”, “you’ll love it when it’s done”. The build continued and many of these items remained unaddressed. We discovered the build “process” has allowed the builder to "cover up" underlying defects without correcting them. We generated a 55 item punch list and submitted that to the builder. Here are just some of the items discovered before they were “covered up”, not fixed:

The stairs leading to the second level were found to be over 1/2" out of level, side-to-side. The top stair was improperly supported and deflected under load. All the decorative crown and wainscot moldings were poorly set. Mitered joints were rough and crudely cut with no sanding or smoothing of any kind. Many moldings were not level or square. A 3-foot square hole was cut into the concrete basement floor to patch a broken drain pipe. The PVC pipe was spliced with rubber hose and clamps. The hole was later backfilled without moisture barrier, and not leveled with the adjacent floor. Carpet was then installed over these defects to hide them. The dip in the floor could still be felt under the carpet.

Also, all of the finished hardwood flooring, tile and carpet were not covered or protected in any way. Construction crews were observed using drywall mud, sanding walls and painting in the house over the floors and getting dust, mud and paint on these "new" materials. The granite countertop in the kitchen was installed improperly. The countertop was intended to rest partially on a knee wall and mostly on kitchen island base cabinets. The knee wall was built too tall so the countertop did not get any support on the base cabinets except for a stack of shims on the front edge of the cabinets. A 1/2" gap existed between the cabinets and countertop. No intermediate supports were provided at all. The superintendent said they would fix that, but they only nailed a piece of molding over the gap to hide the defect.

Our concerns mounted as the build continued, but none of the problems were being addressed, just covered up. We had several meetings on site with the agent and superintendent. Meritage had scheduled a closing for May 10th, 2016. On April 27th, I had a conference call with the superintendent and sales agent to point out the many issues (including finding an empty beer bottle in the house) prior to closing. They all apologized and assured me everything would be fixed. Two weeks later, they still were not. Consequently, the closing was postponed by the builder until May 27th, 2016. We scheduled a home inspection initially for May 6th. This too had to be rescheduled to May 20th, 2016, due to more builder delays. They assured us the home would be complete and ready to inspect on that date. It was not.

On May 12th I met with my client, and the superintendent at the house. We walked the rooms and pointed out the numerous defects. The superintendent marked many of the items with blue tape and promised to fix it all for us. It was at this time we picked up the beer bottle and handed it to the superintendent for removal. It was right after this meeting that the superintendent either quit or was fired. We couldn’t get a straight answer. A new superintendent was later assigned. On May 18th I again visited the home to spot-check progress for my client. On that date cleaning crews were working. Upon opening a kitchen island base cabinet door, I found another empty beer bottle. All of the flooring remained unprotected, so dust, paint and wet drywall mud had been dropped into the carpeting and on the hardwood flooring.

We had emailed the sales agent and area manager to insist they put some protection on the flooring, but there had been no action to do so. On May 20th we finally did perform the general home inspection. Our general home inspection revealed numerous functional defects and a significant structural defect in the sloping floor and sagging rear wall of the house over the walk-out basement. At that time this drop measured over 2" in eight feet. This prompted us to do an additional inspection. My buyer later brought in a structural engineer at her own cost to investigate further. Despite promises by the builder the home would be ready to inspect, they could not get a satisfactory pressure test on the gas line from the utility company, so the gas meter was not installed. Consequently, it was impossible to have gas appliances inspected by our inspector as planned.

We learned that the City on May 17th, 2016 also inspected the house in the builder's attempt to get a certificate of occupancy. That inspection also failed and the city's own report notes; "The home was not ready for final inspection." On May 23rd ABC, and I attended a "Customer Orientation" walk with the new site superintendent. During that walk through we discovered water in the basement. The superintendent indicated that the pressure-washer cleaning crew was there earlier and during washing the front porch, water leaked into the basement and damaged the insulation. The lack of proper flashing and water proofing on the front porch was one of the items on our deviations list and was also documented by the home inspector. It still had not been addressed. Worse, the builder added decorative columns and hand railings to the porch, which prevents opening the wall and siding to install the correct waterproofing.

During the May 23rd meeting, we pointed out the sloping floor defect to the new superintendent. He pulled up a copy of the original builder's plan and that is when we discovered the onsite construction personnel omitted a 2’ x 3’ concrete footing, two smaller footings and four 6x6 columns under the back wall of the house. So, the next day I went directly to the City planning department. I met with inspectors to discuss the permits for this house and the structural problems had we just discovered. They said they were unaware of the defect and would meet with the builder to find out what happened. They did say the superintendent was just there talking to them about another home with similar problems.

The City later informed me the remedy to fix the structural defect would be considered a modification to the existing plans since the structure was not built as designed. As such, they would not issue a certificate of occupancy until they certify the construction was done correctly. As of June 8th, 2016 the structure was not safe to occupy. If we had closed earlier on this build without proper inspections my client would certainly be in harm's way. We contend this demonstrates negligence and gross incompetence on the part of Meritage Homes. Worse, if my client had bought the property it would be her obligation to disclose the defects when she sold it. This would have destroyed her ability to preserve its value.

On May 27th, 2016 my client’s structural inspection was performed, which was incidentally, on the date of the second, missed closing date. The structural report revealed fundamental defects in floor supports and roof trusses which partly attributed to the warped ceiling and sloping floor. Also, the rear deck (over 12 feet high) was improperly attached to the house without bolts as the building code specified. That omission could have seriously injured many people if it the deck pulled away and collapsed during a family gathering. On June 1st, 2016 the onsite sales agent sent out an email advising ABC and myself that the new (third) closing was scheduled for June 17th, 2016. She stated that her Area Manager assured her he would definitely have the house ready to close on that date.

To complicate the matter, my client’s rate-lock on financing expired due to builder delays. If this deal was to go forward the financing would have had to be revised at additional cost to my client. As of June 8th, 2016, still nothing had been done to address the many issues that required correction at this address. It is abundantly clear that this builder is unresponsive, and either unwilling or unable to build homes competently. We assert they simply don’t care. As a result, my client had lost any confidence in this builder and wished to cancel any plan to purchase this property. An attorney was retained. The inspection reports, a mutual release and letter indicating my client intended to cancel her purchase were sent to the builder directly from the attorney.

Clearly, Meritage did not intend to cooperate and dragged out this process. It took over two months for my client to receive a signed release, a refund of deposit and options money. My client did not receive any money to cover inspections or attorney fees, however. Without an attorney on the case, we believe we still would not have a resolution to this flawed transaction. This home was recently listed by the builder for sale in our local MLS. No disclosures will be provided by the builder because it is considered a “New Home” and as such they are not required to disclose problems since no one has ever occupied the property, even though the builder is well aware of all the defects we discovered as documented through inspections. They were provided copies of all inspection reports. Many of the defects still exist and are simply covered up.

There is a significant ethical problem here. If you want a brand-new home, don’t get caught up in the rush. Ask for a copy of the sales agreement. Study it. Have an attorney study it. If the agreement is over 50 pages long and gives the buyer no protections, like the one Meritage uses, someone is going to get hurt. Ask an existing homeowner in the neighborhood how they we treated in their purchase. Be very careful! Don’t wade into this swamp without abundant caution. Far better if you don’t do it at all! Buyers beware!

I closed on my Meritage home in August, 2010. Within the last 24 months, I have had 4 plumbing/water losses within my attic and/or walls that have caused substantial damage. The manufacturer name of the plumbing is Nibco which Meritage used in all their houses. Meritage denied all responsibility because I am outside of my 2 year warranty. I have had to make 3 insurance claims and have now been threatened with non-renewal if I make another.

My insurance company sent a portion of the Nibco plumbing for testing with an independent 3rd party who concluded the plumbing was faulty. Even after this Nibco and Meritage declined to make this right. I am in the middle of my 4th water leak right now and am out of pocket thousands of dollars including my deductible. Meritage should do what is right and replace my plumbing and they have refused to even make repairs where the loss occurred. No quality plumbing should spring leaks 4 different times in 4 different places within 24 months. I have had the water pressure checked and all is fine.

We bought house @ Katy Texas. We wrote contract and the next day they pulled my credit history and told everything is good, and the same day evening they called me and told price increased 70k more. What kind of business they are doing. Area Manager Daniel ** and agent **, even not telling any reason. How Meritage Homes keep these kind of people as Managers, or Meritage Homes itself is playing with customers.

I live on the South side of Atlanta and brought all of my paperwork to work this morning prepared and excited to do the online application and go out and see the property in McDonough, GA this weekend. I spoke with the sales rep from Lake Iris and was looking forward to my visit to the property. My husband told me to read the reviews on this company before you fill out anything, and boy was he right. I will not continue my journey with this company. My sincere thank you to each and every one of you for your review. I read them all in their entirety and will follow the advice of those that came before me... BEWARE OF MERITAGE HOMES!

I don't have an extra $5K to give to anyone and I don't like to follow up behind those who claim to be professionals. It sounds like this company is a train wreck and continually pocketing people's hard earned money, giving false hope, doing substandard work, not taking responsibility for their product and avoiding their customers when their product defects. Why have a warranty if no one will answer the phone to honor it. Thank you again and I will pursue my search elsewhere and with a reputable company.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I will temporarily mark this as resolved as they agree to fix it.

James of Katy, TX on

Original Review

Bought a home from Meritage Homes in Oct 2013. Water penetrates through bath tiles and grouts. Opened one tile and also the opposite drywall. OMG. Horrible job. There is NO moisture barrier. Regular sheetrock is used instead of cement backerboard.

Although Meritage will promise everything and anything and will demand that you meet all of your timelines they DO NOT DELIVER on their end! Their communication is horrible, if they communicate at all. Our house has taken 13 months to build and is still not done with no firm date in sight. We have seen model homes for them go up in a matter of weeks. What a joke.

Words cannot express my disappointment in Meritage and the sales staff at Almeria. After completing long negotiations to develop a sales agreement that was executed and accepted, an error was discovered that proved unfavorable for Meritage. In an effort to prevent any confusion, we offered to rewrite the contract as opposed to issuing numerous amendments. Unfortunately, Meritage became adversarial and non-communicative. When we asked if there was a problem, we were told we were in a meeting followed the next day by the contract being voided. If this is how you treat somebody who spends over $600k on your house, I can see why the BBB has 174 complaints listed for Meritage AZ. Thank you for preventing us from making a $600k error. We’ll find a better place to spend our money.

Horrible customer service. They force people to pay 5000 as earnest money upfront and then they start humiliating them and they don't fix new built homes issues which are homes that should be problems free. They deny inspection report items so they don't admit fault and escape repairs. They think that anyone should buy a new car with a broken door, bad AC, etc. New homes should not have major issues, but this Meritage Homes did. They don't care about working issues and made us drive for a new home orientation and major issues not corrected. They lie about everything they say period. They have very cheap fixtures, granite, doors and interior, etc for a big price. Good builders don't ask for 5000 earnest, but bad ones do since they know that their quality is cheap.

I even got a letter from Meritage Vice Presidents to call them directly for non-resolved issues. They did not pick up their phones and did not call me back even after I left them voicemails. Even the construction manager did not bother to call me back until I requested to cancel the deal. Their sales associate is a big liar since he kept me coming back and forth and kept delaying the home repairs to force me to close and lied about keeping the earnest money deposit.

When I asked him "provide me something in writing on who decided to keep the earnest money", he did not do so which seems that he individually decided to keep the earnest money. The construction guy mentioned that he would get everything fixed before closing, but it did not happen. When I went to the sales office to work the issues, the same guy who is the construction supervisor was sleeping in the office and his boots were laid outside the room he was sleeping in with a closed door. What a cheap treatment to home buyers. I hated the home afterwards. They suck with every piece of detail from buying to fixing and preparing the house to warranty across the board. I am glad that I did not buy this Meritage home.

Beware!! Beware!! Beware!! I would really need negative rating value to rate this company. They are not even worth one star. I would totally agree with others about the earnest money and business conduct of Meritage. They just like free money and are suckers. We signed our contract during holiday season after lots of hurdles due to unprofessional behavior of the sales agent. Once she promised a lot for us and she was out, and later said that lot was gone. She agreed to our negotiation first and later said, "That's not accepted," after 3 days, then wouldn't respond to our calls or emails during business hours. We went in for our design appointment and we were charged for few features which were supposed to be standard which we found out after signing the design contract. BEWARE of their design center options!!

After signing the contract, we discovered a health-related emergency and contacted Meritage if it's possible to return our earnest money so that we could focus on the treatment and not worry about the construction. This was on 25th day after signing the contract. We weren't even explicitly made aware of the earnest period while signing the contract. They straight away said NO. After much discussions with the VP, director, etc., it was proved that they don't care. So we asked them to continue the construction and then they said we need to pay $5K more earnest money to be on the contract, to which we didn't agree. And last week we received an email saying our contract is VOIDED. How could this happen without our consent?

Expert Review

Joseph TruiniHome Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.    More about Joseph→

Meritage has built over 90,000 homes since its inception in 1985. All of its homes are Energy Star compliant. Meritage currently builds in nine states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. The company has been named Texas Builder of the Year five times.

• Homes for seniors available: Meritage offers an "Active Adult" package for seniors who are still active and want to move into a vibrant neighborhood, not a retirement community.
  • Energy-efficient homes: Every Meritage home complies with Energy Star requirements, ensuring that homeowners will save money on their utility bills and reduce their carbon footprint.
  • Luxury homes available: Those interested in living in a larger, more luxurious home can order the from company’s Monterey line of building plans.
  • Offers charitable contributions as well as homes: Meritage works closely with Homes for the Homefront, a foundation that secures safe housing for veterans and military families.
  • Financing options: Prospective buyers can apply for a mortgage online through MTH Mortgage, an affiliate of Meritage Homes.
  • Best for Meritage Homes is best for highly independent people, active seniors, people with special needs and environmentalists.

Compare Builders & Developers