Find a Home Builders partner

3. Home Builders

1.3/5 (300 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Meritage Homes

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Meritage Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

I bought a Meritage home recently and have had nothing but problems. The appliances don’t work, outlets don’t work, I just closed the patio door and a screw fell out so it slams against the wall, cement binding the bricks is missing in many places (leading to rodents chewing through), no one showed up for either move in walkthrough, took two months for the HOA to get trash pickup up, HVAC upstairs broke immediately, plumbing problems, cabinets not installed properly (open the bottom cabinet and it pulls the drawer above it open leaving scratch marks), people don’t show up for repairs, dishwasher doesn’t work (under warranty and will take three weeks for them to come repair).... This is just off the top of my head. Find something sturdy. This place is a dump.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

Houses are built so fast so lots of room for mistakes. Garage door springs are undersized so can’t balance door. Roof was poorly installed, had roofers here 3 times to correct problems. Block fences not installed correctly as move back and forth. Many AC units were undersized for house size. Overall build was not bad for me but lots of equipment is cheap But I do see the houses being built and the speed of start to finish is so fast. Difficult to say well built.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

Sales office quoted my client a price then all of a sudden increased it by substantial amount of money of several thousand dollars, mind you after client signed the contract. When client refused to adhere to the increase in price, he canceled the contract. Builder refused to refund him his earnest money!! I tried calling management office and corporate office many times and was totally ignored repeatedly.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

The new home we purchased in Feb 2021 has so many issues. The main issue is the two front windows. There are really bad water leaks coming through the screws inside the house of the windows. When the rain is heavy, the water flows from the roof down toward the first window at the top and to the next window. Then, the water literally pours inside and has caused major damage to the window frames and down toward the interior walls and floors. I am so tired of this!

The warranty guy, Matt, says it's from the installed camera wires. No other window in the home is leaking AND the wires go all the way around the house. The water was leaking before the cameras were installed! He has had multiple come out to run a dehumidifier for 11 days, a caulk guy to seal around the windows exterior up and downstairs, to no avail. The interior walls are warping, paint peeling and cracking, yellow and brown now and more water is coming in because it's rainy season in FLORIDA.

I have called and called and emailed and texted multiple people to get this rectified since June 2021! It's September. I am emailing the news stations, letting everyone I know about thus builder to stay away from them, and letting the VA know about lying inspectors and backing loans for builders like this. Everyone from the construction manager to the sod layers and irrigation team to the inspectors to the HVAC team to the loan companies are not for the consumers! This should not be happening In a brand new built home that costs over $300k! I feel a lawyer will have a heyday with this!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

This builder does not care about you, your home, or the quality of the homes they build. After 5 years of nothing but problems, I can honestly say that they use inferior materials from the outside in. The appliances - even the so-called upgrades - are so cheap. You are better off getting a credit and buying your own. I had 3 air conditioner companies tell me that the AC units are the cheapest and worst on the market, and were most likely either used or something that was sitting around in a warehouse for a long time. I have spent a fortune on them and will have to replace everything.

Then Meritage refused to do a proper replumb on my second floor plumbing. They did a quick cheap fix right before the warranty expired, and then a few months later, all hell broke loose and it cost me $16,000 to replumb the same problem - only this time properly by a decent plumber. I cannot even begin to list all the horrible problems with this house. It would take many paragraphs. Meritage is a disgrace - there is no other way to describe them. I have done plenty of research and found that this is par for the course with this builder. I wish I had done the research sooner before wasting money on this house. Avoid this builder if at all possible.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

Their houses finishes are not very good, have so many issues and they don't come to fix them. Their houses are not so clean from outside.. created/left so many places for small creatures to hide, landscaping grades are not leveled, no gutter and downspout in the rear, Everytime they have lame excuses whenever you call them. Save yourself from crap!!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

They rushed the building of our home in order to get it done before the new year. They tried to get us to move in by 1/1 despite the patio not even being done at all. But we refused to sign the mortgage until they finished the house. We still had some things to fix like a broken drawer, some dry wall issues, etc. which they promised to fix after we signed the mortgage. MULTIPLE emails, phones calls, claims - and we were blown off every time. And then plumbing issues within the first year.

Initially destroyed the dry wall of the ceiling of the first floor near the kitchen, we contacted Meritage again. Ignored again. We have now had multiple plumbing issues, and today it’s destroyed the dry wall of the ceiling of the dining room. This is absolutely ridiculous. I even have photos of BEER bottles at the construction site when they were building our home. Clearly a sloppy rushed job and Meritage does not care about their customers at all. It’s like a giant factory. Just getting out homes as quick as possible.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I bought a brand new Meritage home. The heating and ventilation system does not work properly. Their customer service is horrific and I have taken time off of work, written emails, phone calls, made claims in their portal and can't get my heating system in proper working order. I have gone to the customer service manager with no luck. I have owned 6 homes and never had the issues I have had with this home. Buyer beware, you are better off buying a new home from anyone but Meritage.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy a home from Meritage Homes. They provide ** homes, that fall apart constantly, and they don't even stand behind their work. We have had 2 MAJOR floods, and STRUCTURAL issues, plus a mountain of other things, and our house isn't even 2 years old. All we asked for was an extended warranty, and it was denied.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

Overall the building process was good. I wish you could customize some of the options on the spec homes. There were some delays but they were tolerable. Quality home. Decent turn around. Do not go with their lender...

Meritage Homes author review by Joseph Truini

Meritage has built over 90,000 homes since its inception in 1985. All of its homes are Energy Star compliant. Meritage currently builds in nine states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. The company has been named Texas Builder of the Year five times.

• Homes for seniors available: Meritage offers an "Active Adult" package for seniors who are still active and want to move into a vibrant neighborhood, not a retirement community.

• Energy-efficient homes: Every Meritage home complies with Energy Star requirements, ensuring that homeowners will save money on their utility bills and reduce their carbon footprint.

• Luxury homes available: Those interested in living in a larger, more luxurious home can order the from company’s Monterey line of building plans.

• Offers charitable contributions as well as homes: Meritage works closely with Homes for the Homefront, a foundation that secures safe housing for veterans and military families.

• Financing options: Prospective buyers can apply for a mortgage online through MTH Mortgage, an affiliate of Meritage Homes.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Meritage Homes Company Information