Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Meritage Homes Reviews

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

Let me describe my experience with this builder. Meritage Homes is one of the worse builder I ever saw. They promised you a lot, and their deals sounds great, until you signed agreement and start working with them. Doesn't matter on which step, the quality of work is terrible. They allow all water come to your house initially, they don't care about cracks and squeezing floors you will receive after. You need to do few inspections with a good inspector or be a professional in the building/construction to point all issues to them. But if you think that everything would be fixed on time, big mistake!

They do not disclose to you a lot of information related to your selected lot, like easements (utility box), cable boxes, etc, telling you that it was always have been there on your lot. They have broken line in the communication with customers. No follow up or update if your closing date, or something when issues would be fixed. You need to do it yourself, ask them all the time. It starts from sales people and finish with management. No difference. If you selected something like countertops, doors, etc. in the design center and it is not match your selection, they will argue with you that it should be like that, and you're wrong. Why you disappointed?

As a total, it is a nightmare to build with them and go through the warranty after that. Don't be surprised if something installed against building code or utility requirements, if you have cracks through whole house in 1-2 years, if within a month your floor is squeezing, etc. My suggestion to you. Stay away from Meritage Homes and never sign contract with them. So many hidden issues.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

Helpful review: know what you're getting before you buy. Oh, but you can't because the sales team likes and the construction is junk. Main electrical cable was cut by graders, shorts out the entire house when it rains; interior electrical circuits that short each evening and blow a fuse; upgraded ceiling fan hookups that weren't fastened to the joists in the ceiling causing the ceiling fan to come crashing down; SmartHome wiring doesn't work; brand new Lennox HVAC installed with broken fan motor and bad capacitor, getting new parts in 2 weeks; and this is all in the first 3 weeks! Garbage builder.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

Our home is 3 years old. The Hardie Board lap siding is cracking and nails popping on about 8 pcs. Sent in a Warranty request but they told me that the warranty expired on the first year of closing. It's a shame that you buy a home of great dollar amount, just to find out that they don't want to do anything about it. This is one of the worst building companies I have come across. With that said before our closing we done a walk thru after 4 pages and getting the BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU INVOLVED. I'M STILL FIXING THINGS OUT OF MY POCKET.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

First, we thought to do our mortgage with Meritage they gave us a 3X higher APR. Ended up working with WF. Then, the builder wanted to close as soon as possible and we were also in a hurry since we did not want to pay rent. So we closed with the contract in mind that the builder will take care of little fixes. Is he taking care of them? Yes, in super slow motion! Besides that the fixes they are doing are mediocre with terrible contractors and garbage quality material. The doors are like they found them in the trash, the upper floor makes a lot of noise since the floor was not done properly. They bring in contractors in a hurry and they do a terrible job and everything can be stucco-ed. In summary, they are terrible and I would never buy another house with them. The WORSE experience ever!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

The home buying experience with Meritage was more than good but after we closed on the home and had problems with the sewer line, foundation, drainage and HVAC problems. The warranty department sole purpose is to schedule contractors to make repairs. They blame the homeowners and contractors for everything and delay any repairs to run out the warranty period. Even when you have an agreement to fix a repair in writing, they change course and blame the owner again. Meritage Homes publishes its core values but does not honor them. Even when you go to a higher level in the organization, you get no response. Stay away from this builder, read the reviews and believe them!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I closed on my home in April 2018, months after what we were told. Various issues from our previous project manager leaving to house sitting, to not having electricity hooked up and inspected until the week we were supposed to close. After moving in, there were a few minor workmanship issues that were annoying but small and easy to fix. What wasn't easy was dealing with Adam **, our warranty representative. Many times he would just not respond or he'd tell you that's just the way it is. He firmly believes in "band-aid'ing all the problems you have. We have a warranty claim open since April of this year that is still not closed (It's end of August) and you're only able to have 1 claim open at a time per their system. It's taken me contacting his boss to get in touch, this past time was 2.5 weeks after I initially reached out to him.

The biggest issue we have however is with our AC system. We live in Texas. On a 100 degree day, it's 78 degrees in my house with the AC running constantly and never even dropping a degree. All fans on max. Multiple warranty claims in and I keep getting told this is the best it can do. What that tells me is either there's something wrong and they don't know what it is, or they installed a unit that is too small for this floor plan. Either way, I'm stuck with the electric bill and sweating in my living room. I don't expect anything to happen at this point since they act like they don't care after you sign the papers, but I'll pass along my warning and the same thing everyone else says in this neighborhood. "I wish I hadn't bought Meritage".

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

Builder will not respond to home power issues, sub par building. The subcontractors they use do poor work, low grade materials. Meritage Homes does not respond to warranty issues, you will need a lawyer if you buy from them!!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

Simplest complaint ever! Lights in bathroom are flickering, I submitted warranty claim and they came out to try and fix the issue. They then noticed the new lights are a different shape and color because the manufacture no longer provides my old Led lights. I have no problem with that because it is out of their control. There are 6 lights in the area that needs to match, they sent 3 of the wrong color lights and sizes and told me to just switch the lights from my closet.

Sharlene **, warranty manager as she made that very clear, refuses to either replace all lights in area saying she has the power to close the case without the issue being resolved. I even offered to pay for the additional lights out of my own pocket and she still cannot understand that. Also, she cursing as she is walking over to the phone as if it's not her job to make sure the customer is satisfied. I really wish I would not have bought a home with Meritage if this is how they act over a $100.00 issue. At the end of the day I only want my lights to stop flickering and have matching lights. I do not believe this was too much to ask. Sincerely a concerned customer! Hopefully a higher up will reach out to me.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

Stay away from this builder! You are better off throwing your money down a drain. Toddlers build better houses with Legos than Meritage Homes does. Our house was delivered to us in a rushed closing damaged. They accidentally put a giant hole in our foundation with piping for a second island we were never to get. That hole has continued to ruin our wood floor and it has now been repaired 3xs going on four. Their own trade even said Meritage goes for the “quick fixes, the patch jobs” and this is true. The ceiling in my baby’s room split and chunks fell out due to the roof not being properly sealed and causing a leak. Our garage flooded due to the outside wall not being properly sealed. Our extended lanai ceiling buckled and split due to improper support.

When we moved in we had no water because the drainage was clogged from construction debris. We also moved in with our main water line broken (our yard flooded) and need to be repaired. We learned our new ac units were installed with faulty coils - it broke down twice and needed new coils twice. We moved in with a bad thermostat and we are on our third one. Not once has quality control, or leadership ever reached out to us. Not once. I reached out to the the customer service manager myself. I reached out to the Orlando Division President. Didn’t matter though they take no responsibility and have no care because they’ve already gotten the check from us. It’s sad how they rip people off - if you’re reading this and are considering please take to heart my experience. My family has been through hell with them. I pictures and video for anyone that would like to see the damaged home they delivered to us in a rush to meet their numbers.

Original review: July 17, 2019

My wife and I built our first home with Meritage, and over the three years we lived there we have had nothing but COSTLY problems. Our list of complaints is four pages long! From the GARBAGE in our yard that was covered with sod, to windows that don't open and close because the house warped over time. Fifty percent of the rooms in our home has had some type of water leak. Mostly major leaks, some minor leaks that spread into different rooms causing all kinds of damage - more money out of pocket to pay high priced plumbers to fix. Then our 3 year old water heater died - Another $2000 out of pocket to replace.

How about my pregnant wife on her hands and knees on numerous occasions cleaning up after the mess the trades made in the bathrooms. A mess that was so bad we had to get the floor acid cleaned. Our irrigation system cannot be run anymore until the four holes in the tubing are fixed. Literally, the water sprays up in the air six feet in four areas in my lawn, so I have to keep the sprinkler system off.

Another good one was when the trades had buckets of dirty sludgy water from fixing one of the dozens of issues we had, and they decided to dump the sludge on my bushes in the front of the house. Take my word for it, these houses are nothing but garbage, and the company does not care. I EXPLAINED ALL OF THESE ISSUES AND THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE THE COURTESY TO APOLOGIZE. BUYER BEWARE of employees like Dane ** and Thomas **.

Meritage Homes Company Information