2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.49/5

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Meritage Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?

Original review: June 12, 2020

We bought a new home and watched the entire building process. I found myself reporting to the site supervisor, building flaws throughout the process. He would occasionally walk the site but not concern himself with the quality of the work being conducted. I would give him a list of items I noticed, which he happily accepted, during my walkthroughs. Some were minor issues, such as covering the open drain pipes, so misc debris does not clog the lines, unfortunately that did not work. Some major issues were badly split lumber needing replaced. (Cracked sole plates) Pluming lines protruding beyond studs. One in particular was already boarded up with drywall and painted. Water supply line inside home was leaking, which I discovered and reported. It was repaired three times before it was finally corrected.

The last time the wall was covered before the leak was noticed. Our furnace required five visits before the issue was resolved (after move-in). Electrical lines in attic weaved in between trusses and pulled tight against metal brackets. I felt as though I became the site supervisor in order to get these, and many other issues, resolved. I wanted to back out of the deal because the subcontractors were so bad and the site lacked proper supervision. We now have an ongoing electrical problem, which Meritage will not look into for us (outside warranty window). We have two rooms which burn out new light bulbs within weeks of replacement. This is our second new home, though first Meritage build. I will never buy another Meritage home nor recommend them.

Original review: June 12, 2020

We paid like $380,000 for this new home located in GA and most of the parts in the house looked like they've have not done any quality check before hand it over to clients. (cracks or parts not being glued) The funny thing is, they blamed everything on weather changes (cool or heat caused the house to shrink or expand, what?). Backyard, half of the land were planted with new grasses and other half you need to buy it yourself. All the uneven parts of the wall, ceiling, and needle bumps would not be showed during daytime, but when night hits, you turn on the indoor lights, SUPER SUPER obvious that the Meritage Home did not take care the drywalls in "professionally" way.

Original review: May 15, 2020

Unacceptable work. I settled on my house Nov 2016. I have had several problems since then. The Whirlpool tub did not work. I called twice and they finally replaced the motor which was bad. The air conditioning unit has to be serviced every year due to the installer not installing properly. Two years in a row had to have freon which was $3<8 the first year and 600 the second year. I have spoken to Meritage. They referred me to lie Horizon who installed it.

I spoke to Jose several time who said he would email the owner and get back to me which he never did. Each time I called he said my request was denied so I asked for the owner's name and phone number. Said he had no contact with the owner. So back to Meritage who said they couldn't do anything because of the warranty expiration. But as I explained it was never installed correctly so nothing but excuses. I would never recommend buying a Meritage home if you want to save money on issues they should be taking care of. Do yourself a favor and buy elsewhere.

Original review: March 19, 2020

Not even sure where to begin, I’ll summarize best I can: A/C set up incorrect so no heat for days, hole in roof caused water leak through two story ceiling, no electricity in 2 rooms, crooked trim, chipped paint, broken ceiling fan, nails in walls, holes in walls, unfinished trim, half painted closets, crack in shower, door locks not working, a/c drain pan damage, emergency valve clogged, broken water heater coils, a/c parts already rusted from leaks, staples protruding through carpet throughout house, uneven door, front door crack between glass and wood caused water to come through in rain storm, broken fridge handles (warranty issue with whirlpool), paint on closet floors, forgotten caulking on woodwork, etc.

We have only lived here 6 months. We bought this home brand new. At first the company was quick to address the issues, now they give us delayed responses and attitude. We have been super understanding and don’t expect immediate service, but 1-2 wks is long enough. We were without hot water for an entire day during the winter. When the plumbing company finally came out to replace the broken coil piece, he told us he found it at ANOTHER house that was under contract (just hasn’t closed yet) and he just swapped the parts. How is this company still functioning?! I regret purchasing a Meritage home. Stay away!! I took photos of everything, for documentation/warranty proof.

Original review: March 17, 2020

We were so excited to move in to our new Meritage Home in Deer Creek, NC. From the get-go we had issues with the workmanship: roof not being completed, A/C hooked up incorrectly which caused the air to be on emergency heat... But the straw that broke my heart was a backed up plumbing line that overflowed the upstairs bathroom which flooded through the ceiling into our brand new kitchen.

We used to plumbers that Meritage used to install the plumbing and they told us that it was construction materials and a poor design with low flow toilets. Being within our first 90 days we were expecting the damage to be covered under Warranty. To our surprise, the Warranty adjuster met us at our home and within 2 minutes (with doing no due diligence or retaining any evidence) said it was our fault and to call our homeowner's insurance.

We're 8 days into THE FIGHT with Meritage to get accurate documentation to support their determination. We've been talked down to, ignored and lied to. Their customer service and ability to investigate the main cause is nonexistent, unethical and unprofessional. I understand new homes having issues, that I can live with. What I can't live with is the builder taking ZERO accountability for their part of the problem. Instead of listening and supporting your home owner, you'd rather save face with your plumber and protect your pocket book. Knowing what I know now I would never recommend building a house or even owning a home with Meritage. You will have constant issues with no support from the builder or warranty department.

Original review: March 14, 2020

We bought our home in 2014 newly constructed, Meritage never transferred the Lennox warranty for our air conditioning unit. Now the coils has gone out for the second time in 2 years. First time it was covered under the manufacturer warranty. Just paid labor cost which was 600 dollars. Now the coil is out. We called Lennox. They said our warranty was not transferred from the builder to our names, I emailed them, explained the situation and they keep referring me back to Lennox. This is been going for 2 months now. Summer months are coming soon and I need my a/c fix. Estimates are at around $2,000.

Original review: March 10, 2020

Moved in our new home in November 2019. We are still working on getting our problems fixed since our walk thru. We get nothing but the run around. Workers are always 3 weeks out of coming to repair. Then they don't arrive and you wait another 3 weeks for a new work order just for them to not show up again! Customer service is unacceptable. Craftsmanship is questionable. Contractor are unreliable.

Original review: March 2, 2020

Bought new construction in Austin in May 2017. It was a Monterey collection which is top of the line and we paid a good premium for that. But during the final walk thru it was apparent Meritage does not have a handle on their subcontractors and lacks quality control. Inferior finish, forgotten plugs, missed wiring, uneven window width from top to bottom, Framing issues, zig-zag lines on the walls, the list is endless... To top it all, their 1 year warranty is useless. The warranty department and the Director of construction (Travis **) knew how to make excuses instead of taking pride in their work. I was actually happy that my one year warranty period with them is over and I won't have to stress trying to get Meritage to fix their bad work.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

The absolute worst people to deal with in the whole world. Was cheated out of property tax money because they deliberately use the wrong tax value for closing which you don't find out until it's too late. They have it written into their contract that they have the option to cheat you. Also I have been trying for months to have warranty work done on the house with no avail. They do not answer the phone or emails only when they want to. They only let you submit one repair at a time. They leave the repair open so you can't submit another. They seem to deliberately give you the run around. With 226 complaints at the BBB (Better Business Bureau) I total understand now.. I have been months now seeking warranty repairs with no luck. Buyer beware!!!!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Poor construction! Purchased home August 2018. First problem garage door would not go down three service calls before they figured it out. Next problem bath faucet would not stay at set temperatures both were replaced. Happened again to the second faucet replaced again. Next problem shower stall cracked had to replace it. They replaced it three times! Shower doors were installed crooked never really resolved that. Another problem I lost air-conditioning when it was 110 out. Also when I moved in the first day the microwave did not work. They took one out of another house and put it in mine. This is all I can think of right now but would you buy from Meritage Homes? I will never again. I am in Meadows East San Tan Valley Az. There have been more issues but this should get the point across.

Meritage Homes Company Information