1.3/5 (314 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Meritage Homes

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Meritage Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

We were so excited to purchase a new build from Meritage Homes and couldn’t wait to start the build of our dream home. My wife’s parents purchased two new builds from Meritage Homes in the past and had a great experience on both of them. So, of course, we thought we would too. We were wrong! This has been a disaster from day one! We signed in Dec 2020, and work really didn’t get started until March. Once the project started moving, I thought ok great. Now we are rocking and rolling.

Kyle, our sales point of contact informed us we would get weekly updates on the build process and ensured us we had the best Construction Manager they had to offer (of course we do!). We meet Jesse, he informed us the anticipated close date would be end of Aug, but he would try his best to hit July. This of course got us excited to think he was really on the job and going to do the best he can.

The weekly emails started off with just enough information to make us want more. I was very thankful, polite, and was looking forward to weekly emails. As the project moved on, we flew through ground prep, framing, plumbing, rough electric, etc. I thought wow this project is really moving! That is when the whole project halted for 3 MONTHS!!! The project had failed framing and plumbing inspections. The weekly emails turned into every other week. The status of the project was a cut and paste from week to every other week, ‘we are working on framing and plumbing issues’. I live close enough to the project site, I went out pretty much every other date. Nothing had been touched for months!!

Finally after 3 month delay, the framing and plumbing issues had been ‘fixed’. Project started moving along again and the new close date went from Aug, to Sept, October, and now Nov (may be Dec or later). Emails from Jesse pretty much stopped. I had to email him early Oct to ensure our close date was still good. Jesse informed me, Oct was not going to work and the close date had been pushed to Nov 15. This was frustrating due to NO ONE INFORMING ME about this change. We extended our lease on the apartment to month-to-month, due to the September close date that was relayed back in Aug. If we had known it was going to be Nov now we could have signed a 3 month lease and saved us hundreds of dollars. We have to pay an extra $500 a month going to month-to-month lease.

The three month delay has cost us over $3000 in leasing premiums, missed work due to having to re-schedule international travel dates around the closing date moving. If we miss the latest close date of Nov 15th we will have two weeks before we are out of our lease and have to find a new solution and I am not sure there will be an option to do it again.

I contacted Kyle on Nov 1 to confirm the Nov 15th close date. He called Jesse to find out the status of the project and informed me we ‘MAYBE’ will close on the 15th due to they don’t have an AC unit for our home and we cannot close without it. Reminder, I don’t get weekly updates anymore. I have no timeline on when they will be able to source an AC until and we can move into our new home. We have contacted our leasing office to see if we could extend our lease for another month, only to find out the until has already been rented for December. This is VERY impactful due to both of us working from home. It would cause us thousands of dollars to find a new place with a short term lease, missed work, moving, deposits, utility services, etc.

I’m sure you can see how any additional delays only add to the financial losses we have suffered so far. I am sure if we miss the Nov 15th close date, the total cost of delays will end up being over $10,000 on our end. I am so extremely disappointed in the process dealing with Meritage Homes. I had such great hopes and dreams about moving into our new home, now I just dread every contact with Kyle or Jesse (when I make contact with them!!). Our dream home has turned into a nightmare I can't wait to wake up from!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

We initially thought this was mold issue so called a professional company to come clean up the mold, they came out and it turns out the bathroom was constructed to retain water improperly and created not only mold, but leakage issue as well. We contacted builder Meritage Homes for a claim, but their response was "How dare you find a 3rd party contractor and didn't contact us?!" I'm contacting them now! Are they willing to come fix it now? NO! So what am I supposed to do? Wait until the ceiling fall off??? If you don't want this to be your bathroom, DON'T BUY Meritage Homes!!!! Worst company EVER!!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

We have had SO many issues with Meritage! We purchased a lot in December 2019 and they started building beginning of January 2020. After MANY delays, several inspections, several complaints about poor quality work... we were told our home was ready for us to move into August 2020. Not even a week after moving in, we experienced issues with our venting ducts, cracked windows, our floors started bubbling up and the baseboard was separating from the wall. Our towel fixtures and toilet paper holders completely fell out of the walls, and lights were hung crooked along with mirrors.

We upgraded our staircase, thinking it would be a nice investment, only to have several of the bars/handrails fall out with one of them hitting my youngest over the head as it fell from the second story. We were blamed for everything! We were told that the floors are bad because our dog is too big and we have too many kids and foot traffic through our home. (Mind you, we have a 5 bed, 4 bath, 3 car garage home and if they had a problem with 2 adults, 3 children and a dog occupying a home this size...they should've told us!) We were blamed for the handrails and fixtures stating that WE were too hard on them. We were blamed for the A/C unit saying that we keep it "too cool in the home and it has wreaked havoc on our unit".

We were blamed for window screens disappearing because the wind was so insane and blew them off, but it was our fault for not checking them on a regular basis to ensure they are secure... and it is on US to pay for new ones. They promise to fix things and take 4 to 6 weeks to respond to emails and attempt a repair. The grout in the bathrooms is destroyed and peeling, the backsplash is destroyed and crooked, we were missing trim in our upgraded kitchen, chunks of tile were missing in the bathrooms. Cabinets in the bathroom split down the middle and fell off the hinges! Cracked drawers in the master bath. The cabinet above our fridge fell COMPLETELY OFF THE HINGES. As my husband was putting something up... it hit him in the face and he caught it before it fell to the floor.

We constantly step on nails coming out of the carpet. We have nails popping out of the walls throughout the ENTIRE home. There are huge gaps in our garage and front door, which they refuse to fix. It has been issue after issue! I tell everyone I know to NEVER go through Meritage! They are awful, disrespectful, unprofessional, and don't care! We have paperwork and work orders and complaints and emails a mile long. The parts of our floor they deemed worthy of replacing were ripped up, only to find cigarette butts, water bottle lids, trash, etc underneath them. They made me feel like I was crazy and my complaints and concerns weren't valid, ludicrous or fabricated. My heart goes out to anyone who has purchased a home from Meritage, because we feel your pain and frustration. MERITAGE SHOULD FEEL ASHAMED but you don't and you won't, and it's infuriating!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

I contracted to purchase a Meritage home in Bristol Meadows, Florida at the end of July. I was told that the home was previously contracted and all materials were ordered, so we could not make changes to tile style and color, cabinets and carpet. The contracted closing date was set for just prior to Thanksgiving of '21, the sales rep all but guaranteed we would be in before the end of the year as our daughter needs to start school. I understand there could be a slight delay. We received an email that the trusses would not arrive until towards the end of October, which we could not understand as they told us all materials were ordered due to the first contract on the home. They then denied it and stated our trusses were not ordered until after we contracted.

We used their financing for the mortgage and when they sent follow-up paperwork, it documented a Mid January of '22 closing date. When confronted... they stated the mortgage company does not set closing and the date was far beyond the real closing date. In an update of construction we were then advised by sales we would close mid January... this after they claimed that mid January date was wrong. After this, I reviewed the contract for the fine print and sure enough I discovered they can wait TWO FULL YEARS from contract date, stringing along a buyer before delivering their house.

They flat out lied during the sale. I have ALL email communications to support my claim. I am thinking of walking away from my down payment and staying put in the area I am. They have turned a dream move into a nightmare. We have sold our house and closed, living in temporary housing we need to vacate by the end of December, and if we stay with the contract will have to move two more times, at least, to get in the home. DO NOT BUY A MERITAGE HOME ANYWHERE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

I bought a Meritage home recently and have had nothing but problems. The appliances don’t work, outlets don’t work, I just closed the patio door and a screw fell out so it slams against the wall, cement binding the bricks is missing in many places (leading to rodents chewing through), no one showed up for either move in walkthrough, took two months for the HOA to get trash pickup up, HVAC upstairs broke immediately, plumbing problems, cabinets not installed properly (open the bottom cabinet and it pulls the drawer above it open leaving scratch marks), people don’t show up for repairs, dishwasher doesn’t work (under warranty and will take three weeks for them to come repair).... This is just off the top of my head. Find something sturdy. This place is a dump.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

Houses are built so fast so lots of room for mistakes. Garage door springs are undersized so can’t balance door. Roof was poorly installed, had roofers here 3 times to correct problems. Block fences not installed correctly as move back and forth. Many AC units were undersized for house size. Overall build was not bad for me but lots of equipment is cheap But I do see the houses being built and the speed of start to finish is so fast. Difficult to say well built.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

Sales office quoted my client a price then all of a sudden increased it by substantial amount of money of several thousand dollars, mind you after client signed the contract. When client refused to adhere to the increase in price, he canceled the contract. Builder refused to refund him his earnest money!! I tried calling management office and corporate office many times and was totally ignored repeatedly.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

The new home we purchased in Feb 2021 has so many issues. The main issue is the two front windows. There are really bad water leaks coming through the screws inside the house of the windows. When the rain is heavy, the water flows from the roof down toward the first window at the top and to the next window. Then, the water literally pours inside and has caused major damage to the window frames and down toward the interior walls and floors. I am so tired of this!

The warranty guy, Matt, says it's from the installed camera wires. No other window in the home is leaking AND the wires go all the way around the house. The water was leaking before the cameras were installed! He has had multiple come out to run a dehumidifier for 11 days, a caulk guy to seal around the windows exterior up and downstairs, to no avail. The interior walls are warping, paint peeling and cracking, yellow and brown now and more water is coming in because it's rainy season in FLORIDA.

I have called and called and emailed and texted multiple people to get this rectified since June 2021! It's September. I am emailing the news stations, letting everyone I know about thus builder to stay away from them, and letting the VA know about lying inspectors and backing loans for builders like this. Everyone from the construction manager to the sod layers and irrigation team to the inspectors to the HVAC team to the loan companies are not for the consumers! This should not be happening In a brand new built home that costs over $300k! I feel a lawyer will have a heyday with this!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

This builder does not care about you, your home, or the quality of the homes they build. After 5 years of nothing but problems, I can honestly say that they use inferior materials from the outside in. The appliances - even the so-called upgrades - are so cheap. You are better off getting a credit and buying your own. I had 3 air conditioner companies tell me that the AC units are the cheapest and worst on the market, and were most likely either used or something that was sitting around in a warehouse for a long time. I have spent a fortune on them and will have to replace everything.

Then Meritage refused to do a proper replumb on my second floor plumbing. They did a quick cheap fix right before the warranty expired, and then a few months later, all hell broke loose and it cost me $16,000 to replumb the same problem - only this time properly by a decent plumber. I cannot even begin to list all the horrible problems with this house. It would take many paragraphs. Meritage is a disgrace - there is no other way to describe them. I have done plenty of research and found that this is par for the course with this builder. I wish I had done the research sooner before wasting money on this house. Avoid this builder if at all possible.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

Their houses finishes are not very good, have so many issues and they don't come to fix them. Their houses are not so clean from outside.. created/left so many places for small creatures to hide, landscaping grades are not leveled, no gutter and downspout in the rear, Everytime they have lame excuses whenever you call them. Save yourself from crap!!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

They rushed the building of our home in order to get it done before the new year. They tried to get us to move in by 1/1 despite the patio not even being done at all. But we refused to sign the mortgage until they finished the house. We still had some things to fix like a broken drawer, some dry wall issues, etc. which they promised to fix after we signed the mortgage. MULTIPLE emails, phones calls, claims - and we were blown off every time. And then plumbing issues within the first year.

Initially destroyed the dry wall of the ceiling of the first floor near the kitchen, we contacted Meritage again. Ignored again. We have now had multiple plumbing issues, and today it’s destroyed the dry wall of the ceiling of the dining room. This is absolutely ridiculous. I even have photos of BEER bottles at the construction site when they were building our home. Clearly a sloppy rushed job and Meritage does not care about their customers at all. It’s like a giant factory. Just getting out homes as quick as possible.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I bought a brand new Meritage home. The heating and ventilation system does not work properly. Their customer service is horrific and I have taken time off of work, written emails, phone calls, made claims in their portal and can't get my heating system in proper working order. I have gone to the customer service manager with no luck. I have owned 6 homes and never had the issues I have had with this home. Buyer beware, you are better off buying a new home from anyone but Meritage.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy a home from Meritage Homes. They provide ** homes, that fall apart constantly, and they don't even stand behind their work. We have had 2 MAJOR floods, and STRUCTURAL issues, plus a mountain of other things, and our house isn't even 2 years old. All we asked for was an extended warranty, and it was denied.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

Overall the building process was good. I wish you could customize some of the options on the spec homes. There were some delays but they were tolerable. Quality home. Decent turn around. Do not go with their lender...

Original review: July 18, 2021

We moved into our Meritage Redding plan home December 2020. The home is beautiful, floor plan is perfect for us in a over 55 community. We first had the heater and thermostats fail and required service 4 times but it still doesn’t work properly. Next they had put in the lake incorrectly allowing debris from construction causing a major Midge fly problem. The HOA is now trying to correct. But on June 24th my husband sick on the toilet, the toilet cracked breaking open pouring sewer water throughout the bathroom. I attempted to stop the water by pushing pulling. The plastic valve was broke off.

In a panic I ran outside calling every Meritage number I had at 7am, finally a representative came to the house and showed the water shut off handle. He came in and took a picture of the 2 inch crack in the bowl. I put down all my towels and contacted a Water Mitigation company. I tried to get in touch with Meritage warranty. I was told that my husband must have fallen on the toilet and broke it. They would not let me fill out any paperwork. They told me that it was the homeowners' fault. My insurance adjuster came out, taking several pictures. He showed me the spider cracks where the toilet had been torqued so hard that this was an accident waiting to happen. I’m a realtor and so disappointed in Meritage and Brewer. We are both Seniors and I’m sure that others he may have the same problem.

Original review: July 6, 2021

I closed on my new Meritage Home in Big Sky Ranch in mid-May 2021. My advice is just don’t. There are so many things wrong that I would need more characters than allowed. No quality. No customer service. Nails in siding are coming out, areas buckled, paint chipping off. They installed French drain 10 days ago (for flooded backyard). But didn’t cover it or grade yard which eroded down hill. Sloppy finish work-molding unfinished, gaps along floor line. Molding on doorframes not flush. I paid for upgrades on almost all packages and I don’t see even basic quality control. These are just a few of the items on list. Save yourself heartache and headache. It’s house churning—let’s build more—and poor quality control.

Original review: June 24, 2021

If you can help it, don't buy a home from Meritage Homes. Their homes are subpar and their customer service and warranty are the worst. They made promises to fix items in my home; even had a manager come out to my property and promised to fix several leaking windows, my staircase, faulty construction (rocks falling out on my front porch) and cracks in the construction and they didn't follow through. I am considering joining a class action lawsuit against them. Also, when you call their offices, no one answers or call you back. Their warranty department requires that you can only leave messages and they will never call you back or respond to your emails. Also, a title company that they use (Merimark) went out of business and I can't get hold of anyone to help me. Don't make the same mistake I and many others made. Find yourself a reputable builder.

Original review: June 11, 2021

I hate to have to agree with the comments of so many others, rushed job many elements left to the owner to correct or make better. The builder quality items just so sub par and minimal. My realtor didn't make it better either. I paid for inspections and those items were not taken care of prior to closing. Shiesty to make a buyer go through all these hoops on a new build home. Many items could have been avoided with some attention to detail. I will have to replace dead sod on a brand new home in the first month of purchase. Would not recommend.

Original review: April 5, 2021

I purchased a home to be built at Orchard Park in San Antonio. First I must add that I went back and forth with this place hoping it would be a good place to buy from. Well after deciding to go with the new homes here, I went in and looked at lots. This is where it began. Rosablanca, the sales agent, took me to a lot to see the size and knowing my main priority was to have a bigger backyard. She started off by saying that lot as a 25ft backyard and if I got a shorter model, like the model, it would be 35 ft. I explained to her many times what I needed for my children. I finally picked a home and sat with her to do the process. She offered me other lots on the proper and stated they were all the same size and that they all had the 25ft backyards. Wait for it. I picked the lot, because she stated they were all the same. 2 months later I get the plot plan! Yes, she stated she couldn’t which was odd that all other builders were able to.

The backyard was only 18ft and 15ft from the bay window. How sad and disappointing is that! She completely lied to me! She also called me and I let her know she lied and after her numerous amounts of attempts to get me to cancel my contract, new Homes went up in the market 21% so I am sure she wants the builder to make a bit more money! Not my fault y’all sold it to me cheaper just a few days before it all went up.

Not only did she lie, when I explained to her why she cannot talk to me but go through my real estate agent, who is a friend of mine, she called her and told her I was “mean” and “rude” as well as “unprofessional” because I told her she lied and was disappointed and upset. She kept cutting me off when I was talking, the attitude was unreal. It is disheartening that I spent 24 years in the military to finally settle and buy my first home and be lied to and treated like this. She told my agent she offered me a bigger lot! Lied again! Full of it. I will be filing a complaint about this. Horrible experience!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

"THEY WILL MAKE YOU CRY." Please don't buy any homes from Meritage ever if don't want to take any tension in future. The worst builder and the service response, I could have go give minus rating if the options would have available. Don't waste your money it will be too hard once your emotion has attached to your first new home. I am literally suffering and repenting now. Never ever think of the meritage homes.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

Brought home in 2018, have multiple issues whereas only quick fixes are completed at service calls and their vendors do not try to resolve issues. When warranty ends it’s the buyer's problem even if you have records of multiple service appointments that didn’t resolve issues. Example - door leading to the patio. They’ve been here five times because it’s off-line and have been told it always will require seasonal adjustments. Refrigerator has been serviced four times for the same issue.

Carpet needs to be stretched because it was never done the first time correctly, the new water savings toilets handles have corroded and there is no way to replace handles with their plumber nor can you purchase the parts in your local hardware stores was told to go on the Internet and shop around. Do not buy a house with them (RUN). The vendors they use Do not stand by their workmanship. You will get a quick fix to buy time for the warranty‘s to run out but never a resolution.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Do not purchase a home from Meritage Homes. They see you as a dollar sign and have zero human respect for its clients. We’ve purchased two homes from them and were purchasing a third but after being demeaned and humiliated over a garage opener we decided we didn’t want to deal with Meritage again. Meritage cancelled our contact and said they were keeping our $2,500 deposit. Please take your business to one of the many other home builders that will treat you with respect and dignity.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

The process has been extremely stressful. Meritage Homes has been extremely difficult to work with. They have horrible customer service and a leadership team that fails to address customer escalations. They failed to disclose community standards which resulted in inadequate fencing. They have no concern for their customer or the quality of their product. Once they get you under contract you do no matter to them. You literally have to fight to get the slightest issue addressed. They don't want to do anything and when you address issues with them they can't even give you factual information until pressed. They have very questionable business practices. I would suggest doing your research before deciding to move forward with them. Don't make the same mistake we made.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

Do not buy a home with Meritage!!!! We have been in our home since late February of 2019 and our Quartz countertop cracked back in late September. It took over a month to get a response from the warranty department. They've sent multiple people out to our home to look at the problem all saying "They've never seen anything like this before" and "Quartz shouldn't crack. It's stronger than granite".

We have gotten a sitter for our kids right before Christmas so we could go and pick out a replacement option at Meritage's request and we just found out that Meritage will not cover any portion of the countertop cost. They blamed the countertop company, the countertop company is blaming Meritage and we are stuck with the bill. No one should have to replace Quartz countertops within 1.5 years of being in their new home. We are disgusted by the treatment we are receiving from Meritage Homes and will be letting everyone we know to never buy a Meritage Home because they treat their homeowners like garbage.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

Meritage posed a price on a house TO ME and I accepted. Then they wrote a contract and I put down earnest money. They tried to force me to use their lending arm and when I saw the contract they have added thousands of dollars to the home. Good thing I read everything. They would have never said a word. When I pointed out the issue they became defensive claiming that building costs had gone up so they could no longer honor the price THEY QUOTED ME. It's been over a month and I still can't get the earnest money due to dozens of excuses and ** lies by all levels of their company. Do yourself a favor and STAY AWAY FROM Meritage crap homes.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

I am so sick of Meritage using Covid as an excuse to keep amenities closed or making them so painful to use that it has taken all the joy out of using them! AND then raising the HOA - demanding more $ and providing significantly less. We are a small development and should be able to take responsibility for our risk of use. Closing the sauna, the steam room, canceling of so many classes is absurd. If we knew at closing they were shutting everything down, we would not have closed. Our decision to purchase was largely based on the amenities offered. They shut everything down the day we closed.

They knew this was coming and said nothing. NOW, they are raising the fee!!! Outrageous!!! If anything they should be reimbursing the fee for 2020 and reinstating it when the amenities are opened again. The amenities are closed or partially closed, there have been huge issues with the ponds and water (dead fish), the shrubbery on the sidewalks are very over grown in areas where you cannot even walk two by two without scraping into branches. A lot of the landscape lighting is not functioning. It is disgusting to me and if I had known before hand I would not have moved here. We 'retired like we meant it', but not for this! We were down to 2 choices when we purchased, here in Province and another home outside Province and chose Province because of the amenities.

Now, I am pissed! We are paying for a lot and getting little to nothing. If you are looking at purchasing in a Meritage community where the amenities are important to you - DO NOT DO IT. They are horrible to work with. They have not reached out to home owners to decide what or what not to do in handling the current situation. They simply do as little as possible and provide as little as possible, with no compensation. We have purchased a separate health club membership, so we can have somewhere to go to work out and stay healthy. It is ridiculous that we have been forced to do this. It is ridiculous that we have to pay Meritage for amenities that are not available while we pay for the same amenities outside of Province that are available. So, it is not a legal issue. It is a Meritage issue.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

This company is so unresponsive. We bought our brand new home in April 2020 and had to hound them to fix all of the issues we pointed out during our walk through that were supposed to be fixed before we closed. The building manager was horrendous (no longer with the company as of last week). They made us reach out to warranty after the first month even though we refused to sign over to warranty (this is illegal).

Spectrum came out to let us know our internet wires were bad and causing feedback for our neighbors. They gave us pictures showing the bad wires. Warranty sent out an electrician (super new guy) and he said nothing was wrong with any of the wires. Spectrum came out and disconnected our house from the internet (thankfully they ran a temporary wire through our garage, but it's been there for 3.5 months now and is a tripping hazard). I've spoken to Brandon with warranty and he assured me that they would get together with Spectrum and schedule time to come out to look at the wiring together. This has still not happened 3 weeks after I was assured it would. I am beyond fed up and so disappointed. We love our new home but we should not have these issues. This must be fixed. Just beware if you buy from them that this is what you may have to deal with. You are forced to stay on top of them.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I purchased in summer of 2019 and I have listed multiple repairs. These have been issues for 5 months now. I would get an email they will be in the community to start that was 2 months ago. I understand COVID-19 limits but the company can make warranty repairs but has built 7 new home from the ground up since 1 May 2020. If you want customer service look somewhere else.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

Building a home with Meritage was a big mistake. They tell you anything you want to hear during the building process. But after you move in you find so many things wrong and they don't stand by their work.

1. Huge decorative poured concrete pieces under each window are FALLING OFF. This could kill someone.
2. They built a shower wrong, which leaked and led to mold and a $15K reconstruction on my dime.
3. Nails are popping out of the drywall EVERYWHERE, as are multiple cracks in ceilings and wall.

4. We had a fire in our electrical box because it was wired wrong.

5. We then found out that inside a light switch the wires were doubled up to operate lights on two different circuits, also a fire hazard. To correct it, one of the circuits now does not work independently and works two different lights together, which is not how they are supposed to be and looks ridiculous. But they didn't run enough switches for the lights they put in, so we are screwed.

6. A pinhole leak in the PEX tubing caused a huge flood and ceiling collapse.

FOR NONE OF THESE THINGS WILL MERITAGE TAKE RESPONSIBILITY AND FIX. The leaking shower and mold was past 2 years (because we couldn't see it was leaking until the stench got so bad from the mold and mildew that we had to break into the manmade marble, and when we pulled it up could see the water and mold that had been hiding for years and festering).

When we had it demo-ed multiple contractors who came to give estimates looked at the inside and confirmed it was constructed incorrectly. Meritage came to look at it and ON MY VIDEO TAPE OF HIM LOOKING AT IT also admitted it was constructed incorrectly! BUT it had been past 2 years (even though it was all hidden) so they said they weren't responsible. This is one of the worst companies I have dealt with and I have built homes before, and have been in the real estate business. Steer clear of this company. I wish we had.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

It has been a nightmare since day one of starting to build my new dream home. From the crack in the fountain to the horrible stone and mortar work. Meritage does not care about the customer or Quality of work. I was told several times I could back out of my contract if I was not happy. If you tried to confront them on their sloppy work they wanted to terminate the meeting. I signed up to purchase the model home. My house looks nothing like the model home. My house has three different color of mortar on the bricks, stones that were not Close to the model home stones, and approximately 200 chipped bricks. Meritage is refusing to fix all the chipped bricks. The ones they did fix they painted. They explain to me they cannot fix the mortar color so I have to live three different mortar colors.

My house stones are falling out and that mortar is also cracked. I asked for discount and I would redo the stone correctly but Meritage has refused. So I’m supposed to pay the original $450,000 for chipped bricks, three different mortar colors on my house, stones that are falling out and cracked already? Meritage doesn’t care about the customer. Only about getting paid. The work is very sloppy and the people they hire are only looking for a paycheck. I’m not asking for anything that I didn’t pay for or anything special, just what was in my contract to purchase.

Meritage Homes Company Information