2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.35/5

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Unsubscribe at any time.

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Meritage Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?

Original review: March 17, 2020

We were so excited to move in to our new Meritage Home in Deer Creek, NC. From the get-go we had issues with the workmanship: roof not being completed, A/C hooked up incorrectly which caused the air to be on emergency heat... But the straw that broke my heart was a backed up plumbing line that overflowed the upstairs bathroom which flooded through the ceiling into our brand new kitchen.

We used to plumbers that Meritage used to install the plumbing and they told us that it was construction materials and a poor design with low flow toilets. Being within our first 90 days we were expecting the damage to be covered under Warranty. To our surprise, the Warranty adjuster met us at our home and within 2 minutes (with doing no due diligence or retaining any evidence) said it was our fault and to call our homeowner's insurance.

We're 8 days into THE FIGHT with Meritage to get accurate documentation to support their determination. We've been talked down to, ignored and lied to. Their customer service and ability to investigate the main cause is nonexistent, unethical and unprofessional. I understand new homes having issues, that I can live with. What I can't live with is the builder taking ZERO accountability for their part of the problem. Instead of listening and supporting your home owner, you'd rather save face with your plumber and protect your pocket book. Knowing what I know now I would never recommend building a house or even owning a home with Meritage. You will have constant issues with no support from the builder or warranty department.

Original review: March 14, 2020

We bought our home in 2014 newly constructed, Meritage never transferred the Lennox warranty for our air conditioning unit. Now the coils has gone out for the second time in 2 years. First time it was covered under the manufacturer warranty. Just paid labor cost which was 600 dollars. Now the coil is out. We called Lennox. They said our warranty was not transferred from the builder to our names, I emailed them, explained the situation and they keep referring me back to Lennox. This is been going for 2 months now. Summer months are coming soon and I need my a/c fix. Estimates are at around $2,000.

Original review: March 10, 2020

Moved in our new home in November 2019. We are still working on getting our problems fixed since our walk thru. We get nothing but the run around. Workers are always 3 weeks out of coming to repair. Then they don't arrive and you wait another 3 weeks for a new work order just for them to not show up again! Customer service is unacceptable. Craftsmanship is questionable. Contractor are unreliable.

Original review: March 2, 2020

Bought new construction in Austin in May 2017. It was a Monterey collection which is top of the line and we paid a good premium for that. But during the final walk thru it was apparent Meritage does not have a handle on their subcontractors and lacks quality control. Inferior finish, forgotten plugs, missed wiring, uneven window width from top to bottom, Framing issues, zig-zag lines on the walls, the list is endless... To top it all, their 1 year warranty is useless. The warranty department and the Director of construction (Travis **) knew how to make excuses instead of taking pride in their work. I was actually happy that my one year warranty period with them is over and I won't have to stress trying to get Meritage to fix their bad work.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

The absolute worst people to deal with in the whole world. Was cheated out of property tax money because they deliberately use the wrong tax value for closing which you don't find out until it's too late. They have it written into their contract that they have the option to cheat you. Also I have been trying for months to have warranty work done on the house with no avail. They do not answer the phone or emails only when they want to. They only let you submit one repair at a time. They leave the repair open so you can't submit another. They seem to deliberately give you the run around. With 226 complaints at the BBB (Better Business Bureau) I total understand now.. I have been months now seeking warranty repairs with no luck. Buyer beware!!!!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Poor construction! Purchased home August 2018. First problem garage door would not go down three service calls before they figured it out. Next problem bath faucet would not stay at set temperatures both were replaced. Happened again to the second faucet replaced again. Next problem shower stall cracked had to replace it. They replaced it three times! Shower doors were installed crooked never really resolved that. Another problem I lost air-conditioning when it was 110 out. Also when I moved in the first day the microwave did not work. They took one out of another house and put it in mine. This is all I can think of right now but would you buy from Meritage Homes? I will never again. I am in Meadows East San Tan Valley Az. There have been more issues but this should get the point across.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

Horrible, Unethical, and Corrupt! Please don't think your experience will be any different. We were told nothing but lies from the very beginning. Meritage is building 150+ new homes at my location and it seems the first several people to close, myself included, all had the same issues. There were so many verbal promises made to us and when I brought them up the sales rep completely lied to us. I understand that they weren't in writing so I just kept moving on because it wasn't worth it when I didn't have anything to back me up but I did have one thing in writing.

One major selling point for us was the whole house water filtration system. The sales rep told us that came standard and even wrote that in an email. For us, this was a major selling point considering we have a medically fragile child with multiple complex heart defects. We had multiple conversations about the whole house water filtration with the sales rep and not once did she tell us it was not going to be installed. I found out 1 week before closing that it was not installed so I reached out to sales and even forwarded the written email from her showing what system would be installed.

The response from her said they would not be installing it and the VP of sales apparently "verbally" told me this 5 months ago? How many times are they going to keep lying? That was completely false and just proves how corrupt Meritage is and shows the lying even goes all the way to the VP of sales. To top it off they didn't even try to work with me on it until I emailed the president of meritage and even then I had to fight to get a small credit towards the cost of the filtration. They also lied about the included appliances as well as not being able to make design changes (bait and switch). DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND STAY AWAY!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Meritage Homes is the worst builder ever.

1. Sales person has zero knowledge about the community. Told us the water is soft in the area, turns out it's the hardest in the US. Then they charged by $4500 to install a water softener loop.

2. Promised me verbally to fix some of the major problems, after closing the construction manager changed, they now ask me for any written proofs.

3. The construction quality is so frikkin poor, there are rats in the roof within one year, new construction. I told him about the gaps they had left, they say it's none of their concerns.

I'd advise not to buy a home from these miserable builders. Stay away!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

Moved into our neighborhood in June 2018. We were the first ones in the neighborhood. We were told over and over again that we weren't allowed to build certain types of homes (j-swings) on certain lots and the city would only allow a percentage of lots to have a "j-swing". These both turned out to be tremendous lies as there are now "j-swings" all across the neighborhood, even in the lots we originally asked for (and were turned down). The entire neighborhood looks exactly the same and I feel like we were sold a false bill of goods. I will say they have been very responsive to warranty issues and the floorplans of the home are pretty nice. If you want something, don't be nice about it - walk away. You'll get what you want.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

I bought an inventory home from Meritage in 2018. After closed, there were countless warranty calls. Each time, they sent contractors to come first and the most contractors just tried their best to fool us. So we had to call warranty manager repeatedly for same problems. The contractors also complained that Meritage let them repair the problems not caused by them without any payment. So you can imagine the repair quality. For example, one time the contractors cracked my door frame to have the door and frame aligned. Fortunately, another contractor found it. As a result, the whole door had to be replaced.

During the whole period of warranty year, I can feel the increasing impatience of the warranty manager. He tried tricks to push me back up. Finally, they accumulated all problems to the last day of warranty and sent a bunch of contractors in, leaving bunch of problems unsolved. I spent a lot of my times to greet the contractors and even have to use my valuable vacations. Tired with dealing with this, I just "forgot" those problems if not critical.

However, a funny thing taken place today really upset me. My bathroom water valve keeps giving annoying vibration noise. So I decided to open the tube hatch on the other side of the wall. Out of my imagination, when I took off the cover, What I saw is still a WALL, no hatch. This hatch was installed at my inspector's request. I never imagined they can only put on a piece of plastic. They are just cheaters! For your information, I attach my inspection report's related portion and the hatch pictures here. How can a company do this. Open your eye when you deal with this company.

Meritage Homes Company Information