Vivint vs. Alert 360
Find Home Alarm and Security Systems near you
What is the difference between Vivint and Alert 360?
Vivint and Alert 360 both offer affordable monthly monitoring rates and give customers the opportunity to outright own the home security system equipment. If the equipment is owned outright, the monthly cost is going to be lower with both companies.
Additionally, both provide several home automation features and support, and both are compatible with smart assistants like Google Home and Alexa. When choosing between the two, it’s important to look at all features to find out which is right for you.
Installation and cost
|Installation type||Pro installation||Professional|
|Installation fee||$49 to $199||$99 to $199|
|Upfront cost||Varies based on equipment||Equipment included in monthly fee|
|Trial period||Not listed||None listed|
|Contract terms||Typical contract is 60 months; month-to-month available with upfront equipment purchase||36 months; no-contract options available if equipment purchased upfront|
|Pro installation||$49 to $199||Varies based on equipment||Not listed||Typical contract is 60 months; month-to-month available with upfront equipment purchase|
|Professional||$99 to $199||Equipment included in monthly fee||None listed||36 months; no-contract options available if equipment purchased upfront|
Monitoring plans and pricing
|Monitoring price range||$19.99 to $29.99+||$49.95 to $59.95|
|Upgraded self-monitoring||Not offered||—|
|24/7 professional monitoring||Starting at $19.99||Starting at $49.95|
|Upgraded professional monitoring||Custom plans and packages available||$59.95|
|$19.99 to $29.99+||Professional||Not offered||Not offered||Starting at $19.99||Custom plans and packages available|
|$49.95 to $59.95||Professional||—||—||Starting at $49.95||$59.95|
|Wired or wireless?||Wireless||Wireless|
|Camera options||Indoor and outdoor cameras||Indoor and outdoor cameras|
|Glass break sensor|
|Siren||Audible panel siren|
|Panic button||Vivint Emergency Pendant||Medical panic button device; silent panic button activation from control panel|
|Wireless||Indoor and outdoor cameras||Vivint Emergency Pendant|
|Wireless||Indoor and outdoor cameras||Audible panel siren||Medical panic button device; silent panic button activation from control panel|
|Garage door control|
|Smoke detector||Not listed|
|Mobile app monitoring|
|Notification/alert options||Text and push||Email and text|
|Home automation capabilities|
|Other integrations||Google Home, Amazon Echo and Nest||Rachio Smart Sprinkler, Sonos Wireless Speakers|
|4.6||4.4||Text and push||Google Home, Amazon Echo and Nest|
|4.3||3.7||Email and text||Rachio Smart Sprinkler, Sonos Wireless Speakers|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||4.7||1.8|
|Verified customer reviews||Vivint reviews||Alert 360 reviews|
|1.8||Alert 360 reviews|
All information accurate as of publishing date.
One of Vivint’s best selling points is that it's centered on providing customizable home security systems and solutions. The company looks at your needs to put together a customized package of equipment. It also uses advanced technology and smart-home integration services for assistants like Google Home and Alexa.
Most of Vivint’s equipment must be professionally installed, but there are a few DIY installation equipment options. All Vivint equipment comes with a lifetime warranty — if the equipment breaks and the customer has a monthly monitoring plan, Vivint will send a replacement for free.
Vivint plans and packages
Vivint customizes equipment on a client-by-client basis. Available equipment includes indoor and outdoor cameras, video doorbells, control panels, smart thermostats, smart locks, motion sensors, door/window sensors, a panic pendant and glass break sensors.
Equipment financing is available for those who qualify, but the company offers month-to-month monitoring contracts if you purchase the equipment upfront.
What Vivint customers say
Reviews of Vivint’s smart security system are overwhelmingly positive. Many customers note the skilled and helpful technicians who make installation an efficient and easy process. Many customers found their experience to be better than expected and would recommend the company to others. Those with negative reviews had issues with miscommunication about installation times or pricing, and some were frustrated when they found it hard to get a representative on the phone.
Alert 360 offers four home security equipment packages that range from $44.95 to $54.95 per month. All packages include 24/7 monitoring, an interactive home control, a competitive move program and a customer referral program. You can also add equipment to the bundled packages.
Alert 360 packages
All quotes below are for a Dallas ZIP code. Pricing may vary by location.
- Complete Smart Home: The Complete Smart Home package is $54.95 per month plus professional installation fees. It includes a touch-screen panel, a smart doorbell, one wireless motion sensor, three wireless door/window sensors, a wireless indoor camera, a keyless door lock and one free indoor camera or keyless lock. Access to the Alert 360 phone app is also included.
- Door Command: The Door Command Package is $50.95 per month plus professional installation. It includes a touch-screen panel, smart video doorbell, keyless door lock, one wireless motion sensor, three wireless door/window sensors and a free keyless lock or indoor camera. It also includes access to the Alert 360 phone app.
- Smart Home Video: Alert 360’s Smart Home Video package is $44.95 per month plus professional installation fees. This includes the touch-screen control panel, one wireless indoor camera, one wireless motion camera and three wireless door/window sensors. Access to the Alert 360 phone app is also included.
- Smart Door Lock: The Smart Door Lock package is $44.95 per month and includes the touch-screen panel, keyless door lock, one motion sensor and three wireless door/window sensors. It also includes access to the Alert 360 phone app.
What Alert 360 customers say
On the whole, Alert 360 does not receive good reviews on ConsumerAffairs. Multiple customers have left reviews saying they were unhappy with the company’s cancellation policy. While there were a few customers who did receive good service and were happy with the product, reviewers would not recommend this company to others in general.
Bottom line: Vivint or Alert 360?
One big difference between Alert 360 and Vivint is that Vivint has a 30-day money-back guarantee, and Alert 360 doesn’t offer any trial period or guarantee. Additionally, Vivint does specific, customizable equipment packages, while Alert 360 has some prebundled packages.
- Vivint is best for customers who want a 30-day money-back guarantee and want a professional to put together a highly customized equipment package specific to their needs.
- Alert 360 is best for customers who want packaged equipment options and the choice to pay more upfront to lower the monthly cost.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.