2. Homeowners
  3. Riding Mowers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.66/5

Briggs and Stratton Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Briggs and Stratton?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Briggs and Stratton?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I wouldn’t recommend anyone buying any Briggs & Stratton products!! I bought my pressure washer in April 2020 and stored it in my garage till last month and opened it up to use it and ran horrible! Smoking running rich and didn’t make pressure would barely run. Called Lowe’s to return it and they guided me to Briggs & Stratton for the issue. Came with a 2 year warranty and they won’t even cover the carburetor that was bad! So I’m stuck with a brand new pressure washer that doesn’t work!!! Worst customer service ever and warranty!! Bought a new one today with a Honda motor and it works perfect!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

When the 12 kW generator kicked on during a power outage, there were swings in the voltage noticeable by the lights in my home getting dimmer and brighter and an accurate voltmeter I own oscillating between 114 and 119 volts. In addition, the 12 kW generator would not support the air conditioning in my house which I was told it would do. I had completely lost faith in this unit and wanted to replace it with a Generac but the cost to install a new control unit along with a Generac generator was excessive so I kept the control unit and upgraded to a 20 kW B&S in September 2020.

Today, less than 6 months after installation of this new generator, while clearing the snow off and around the generator, I noticed the blue status light was flashing. I called called the dealer and to their credit a service technician arrived within a few hours. The technician told me that he replaced a faulty control board within the generator. The new part, he told me, was an upgraded version of the original part.

This causes me to wonder, if B&S knew the part was faulty and needed upgrading, why wasn't a recall notice issued and the part replaced proactively? I also wonder about other parts that are going to fail. I am completely distrustful of this particular unit and B&S products in general. While researching online how to contact B&S, I discovered that B&S has gone bankrupt and is now run by an equity firm. This is not a company with whom I will do further business and from whom I am sorry that I purchased generators. If I could afford it, I would have this unreliable unit removed and replace it with a unit I can trust.

Get buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

Since my first lawnmower purchase in (approximately) 1969, I have owned and worn out a number of push-type lawn mowers all of which had Briggs & Stratton motors. In my experience, B&S have been very good and - until my latest research - I could not speak highly enough of them. My current mower with a 190cc B&S motor, over 10 years old, starts and runs perfectly with no other maintenance than an infrequent oil change and blade replacement.

Given the task of buying a replacement mower for our local church, I commenced researching far more thoroughly than I would had I been buying for myself. The mower with the facilities for the purpose - and was in the price range - looked good till I started researching the Intek motor, a brand I had never previously heard of.

When I learned it was made by B&S, I was skeptical of all the negative reviews which are so contrary to my experience. I put the volume and characteristics of the reviews down to a type of "herd" syndrome where like opinions attract 'me too,' similar comments and made up my mind that I had to provide a counter opinion commensurate with my experience. I kept researching and reading reviews till I became convinced that sadly, B&S have dropped the ball and in doing so have ruined a reputation shared by many like myself who have been more than satisfied with our experience. Needless to say, I will not be recommending my initial replacement choice to the church.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

Used as replacement engine on Steiner 420 only to have breather cover on valve pan vibrate off and begin to leak oil while mowing and can't notice resulting in way premature engine failure in 112 hours. B&S could have cared less when contacted about part falling off engine. Had a lot of things with engines but none ever had parts fall off. I would suggest any other motor for repair.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I bought this Huskee lt4200 mower with a 17.5 Briggs and Stratton engine not even a year ago and am having nothing but troubles with it. Engine compression is shot. Won’t start without manually turning the flywheel. I’m a 46-year-old woman. I am so unhappy that this is not working. We did everything the book said and it still won’t work.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I bought a Husqvarna with a B&S 18.5 Itek motor 03/24/19. Garage kept oil, and filter changed 3 times and a lot good it did. The mower looks brand new but still has a compression problem. The motor simply won't start. Now I have to find a mechanic and they will have to take the motor off to find the broken part. My yard is less than a 1/2 acre but still this is just too much for this Husqvarna with the 18.5 item mower. IT IS MY FIRST AND LAST. I haven't been able to speak to a real person about this yet.

Resolution response: June 10, 2020

My error. Briggs and Stratton was not a part of my dissatisfaction with my TORO zero turn mower.

Original review: June 10, 2020

Purchased a Toro zero turn with a BRIGGS and Stratton 24hp motor. I have a level 7500 square foot lot that I cut frequently and still only have 30 hours on a 3-year-old mower. The mower is kept in a shed and not exposed to the elements. Recently the Briggs engine started smoking with a strong odor of unburnt gas. Had it taken in for repairs (about a month before the 3 yr warranty expires). After disassembly, the repair shop said the cylinders were rusted.(?) To my knowledge I've never used a high content ethanol gas. Toro and Briggs rejected a warranty claim saying the water in the ethanol rotted the cylinders. My $4000 zero turn now needs a $2000 repair. The guys I work with laughed when I told them I bought a Toro mower and laughed harder when I said it had a Briggs and Stratton motor on it.

Original review: June 9, 2020

Craftsman Lawn tractor 21hp Briggs & Stratton Single cylinder Blown engine rod went through block. Terrible Engine. Only used the tractor 6 times. Bought brand new. What a disappointment. They need a recall on this garbage!

Original review: May 2, 2020

Long story short, a mower I bought in the fall is 100% dead come spring. I took proper care and maintenance and the end of the lawn season. It is junk. Went and bought another, but not a Briggs & Stratton.

Original review: April 11, 2020

I have a 21 HP single cylinder Briggs and cut half acre it's a pretty steep slope at least 2 times a week plus some other peoples yards I do and it's going on 11. Not a single issue with it. Runs like the day it was bought and my lawn mowers have Briggs on them too. Never had issues so I dont see why all you are having issues. You must not maintain them properly. My neighbor had a mower he bought 12 years ago. Used and never changed the oil and it's still running today. I wouldnt own any other than a Briggs.

Briggs and Stratton author review by ConsumerAffairs

Briggs and Stratton Corporation creates the engines used in many riding lawn mowers.

• Industry leading engine: More than a dozen riding lawn mower companies put this engine in their equipment.

• Replacement parts: Briggs and Stratton engine parts are available directly from the company.

• Durability: The engine's design focuses on high durability.

• Consistent starts: Briggs and Stratton engines have reliable and consistent starts.

• Wide power range: The company creates small engines for basic riding mowers up to commercial grade equipment.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team