1.33/5
  • 1 star
Based on 113 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 4, 2017

130 Briggs and Stratton Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
David of Orlando, FL Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Briggs & Stratton or just pain BS makes a cheap poorly manufactured gasoline engine for a number of vendors that are looking for a quick profit by using cheap second rate parts. A perfect example is a Troy-Bilt branded pressure washer I purchased from Lowe's. Despite all proper maintenance, the engine will not start. Sure B&S will pay to have it repaired as long as I go out of my way to take it some obscure repair shop. Insulting as that is, there is no excuse for a B&S engine with maybe ten minutes of run time to fail to start, other than the engine was built from inferior parts likely imported from some sweatshop in China. I know I will not purchase any product with a B&S engine in the future.

Thomas of Green Bay, Wi. Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Nothing but trouble, Sears absolutely no help! Broke first year, will never shop at Sears again! Can't even talk to service tech 'cause they ship it out! I was a longtime customer!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
jason of Monessen, PA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I'm a landscaper. We have all Briggs equipment. Some of the engine are well over 20 years old. We never had any issues with them and they get worked hard in the mowers to the sod cutters leaf sucker. My boss tried a Honda for the hell of it. Lasted 2 years. Nothing beats a Briggs!!!

james of Chapmansboro, TN Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

July 2, 2015 I bought a Ferris IS 2100 Zero Turn Mower from Midstate Turf and Tractor in Springfield, TN. 28 HP EFI engine. 284 hrs. engine developed a loud ticking in engine. Took it to Midstate. It was supposed to be under warranty. Tech checked oil and asked what kind of oil I used. I said full synthetic 10w20 Pennzoil. He said they recommend Briggs' oil. I said my manual said they do or any premium oil that meets the required specs. I said Pennzoil does. He told me he had a degree. I told him I had been a mechanic for 50 years. He called the next morning told me it was a quart overfull of oil and broke a rod. He would not tell me the rep's name he spoke to. If it was overfull of oil why was I not told when he checked the oil. I went and got my mower. Found the problem. Broke intake valve spring piston was hitting the valve. Fixed it myself. I will not do business with them again!

Robert of Schenectady, NY Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

5 year old Briggs and Stratton 21 HP Platinum Series engine on riding mower carefully used and maintained spontaneously started blowing blue and white smoke. Spoke with B&S Techs and used manual to troubleshoot. Removed intake and valve cover to examine. Without expense and time of bringing it to a shop for and R&R tear down, the likely problem is head gasket or piston ring. Parts and labor to R&R engine is greater than several hundred dollars. Many other owners have reported similar problems and complained about this model (search the model number and check FAQs). B&S has discontinued the model. Contacted B&S for "out of warranty" (two years is their written warranty) and got run around. I have another B&S motor on a push mower that is knocking. I can't afford to be a B&S customer when engines fail 5 years into useful life. B&S: Count me out. I'm not playing your game anymore.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Briggs and Stratton?

John of Englewood, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

The mower is Briggs and Stratton motor. They used to be a good company but now they are not. I got a new push mower 1 year and 2 months ago and now it can't run anymore. I called the company and they told me that, "The mower needs a new carb, we can send you a new one for $50 bucks". Seems like they are putting a carb that fails after 1 year and they want me to put on a new one. I don't know how so now I have a mower that I paid $179 bucks for that will go out with the trash. This is the second mower with the same problem. Shame on you. Now I got a Sears mower. I will buy anything but a Briggs and Stratton.

Stephan of Beaumont, TX Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

MTD mower w/ Briggs & Stratton 125cc OHV engine from Home Depot - Recently bought a new house with a small front and backyard (front is 50ft x 50 ft; back is 50ft x 100ft with another 25ft x 100ft dog run). Saw a special from Home Depot around Father's Day for MTD 20" push mower with B&S engine for $149. I had a similar mower years ago that I used for about 15 years that I bought from ACE hardware (it had the B&S 140cc engine) - it was a beast. I was trying to save a buck and again my yard is small and I didn't want to spend $300 on a mower – it literally takes 30 minutes to mow the whole thing and that's taking my time. Pulled the mower out of the box and assembled it and used the supplied oil. I saw in the booklet that gas with more than 10 percent ethanol should not be used.

I went and bought Shell premium gas which had less than 7 percent ethanol. Mower started on the first pull and mowed my yard. I bought my mower on May 19, 2017 and used it then, I then mowed the next 7-8 consecutive weeks, either on a Friday afternoon or Saturday morning with no problems. The booklet said I should change out the oil after the first 10 hours of usage. Approximately the 8-9 time I go use the mower, it would not start. I hit up the B&S website for troubleshooting and YouTube, I follow the B&S instructions – clean the air filter (not particularly dirty), disassemble the carburetor, clear the fuel line, flush the gas tank, the whole works. Mower starts with starting fluid, but will not run.

I do the whole troubleshooting routine again, including replacing the spark plug and changing oil. Nothing nada, will attempt to start with carb cleaner. Carburetor and fuel lines are clean enough to use for mother's milk – nothing. Of course, I bought Home Depot's 2 year warranty, so when I bring this thing back to Home Depot, they tell me I must contact MTD to go through their warranty first since 30 days had lapsed since I purchased the mower.

MTD refers me there local servicer, which is literally the only one within 100 mile radius of where I live. It is now October 15 and the Servicer (Maurer's Repair) has had this thing for almost 8 weeks, with the mantra "it'll be ready next Thursday for the last 3 Thursday's in a row." My mistake was not checking the reviews on Home Depot and sites like this.

Obviously, B&S has a faulty product with their current and plastic OHV small engines. Also disappointed in Home Depot, they obviously know this is a crap product, but he continue to sell it and give customers the runaround about it. Really sad to try and buy an American product and it ends up being something like this. It's embarrassing, not to me, but to B&S and Home Depot. You both lost my confidence.

danny of Armada, MI Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

24 HP Briggs Professional Series - Bought a new Husqvarna lawn tractor in late 2016 with this engine it used oil from day one. I did not buy this from a box store. It was from a authorized husqvarna dealer. Was told they all do that. Uses 8oz.s of oil every 2 hr. of run time only has 75hrs on it. It runs good but fouls plugs and of course the oil adage problem. I highly plead with anyone thinking of purchasing this tractor or other brand with this engine to walk away from it. Total piece of junk. Briggs totally disgraced itself with these P.O.S. engines. I would never buy anything powered by their name.

James of Sanbornville, NH Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I purchased 2 small engine parts from Briggs and Stratton from an online review then called in the order. Parts were delivered promptly by UPS. No packing slip, no receipt, not proof of order or purchase. I called Briggs and Stratton, customer service. I explained that I purchased the parts on my credit card and needed validation with a receipt or packing slip to validate to a customer for my payment. They said they could not help and would pass it along to a different department who "might" be able to help me. This is a multimillion dollar company and that was their response??? Guess we better try other company that manufactures engines.

Briggs and Stratton took my money and blew me off. I will continue to share my story. OH, they say if you have a complaint, provide your order number. You mean the number that you never sent, just a box with parts. In fact one order, two small parts, two separate boxes, a starter cord in one, a primer bulb in another, ordered together, same order, same day, very efficient.

Forrest of Coos Bay, OR Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Purchased a DR Power 9.5 Chipper Shredder with a B&S OHV Manual Start engine. Engine blew after two hours of use and B&S will not cover warranty. The company claimed user error due to improper oil added. This was not the case, but when it comes down to your word versus theirs the consumer has little to no leverage. I talked with tech support twice but to no avail. Definitely feeling 'ripped off'; I will never purchase another product with a B&S engine again. Never.

Edison of Hopew, VA Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I place an order for a generator new. After I used it for few weeks, went bad. I place an order for the part I need, and they never send part. 4 days later I ask for the part they never send it. All customer service it's the worst and all lie to you. They say it was ship, some of them that was not on stock and a manager start blaspheming God's name. I will sell my generator or put it on trash and go with other company, never again will shop from Briggs and Stratton. To all my fellows soldiers and brothers in arms don't shop this name brand.

Kathleen M of Summertown, TN Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

"New"(?) Husqvarna mower from local family owned/operated store "Swap And Shop". First deposit ($200) April 2015, second/final deposit ($300) May 2015. Mower delivered (possession) late May 2015. While I appreciate SAS providing financing, the rest of this experience has been less than professional. When the mower arrived the only paper work I received was an extra key on a placard and instruction book. There were no receipts for purchase or warranties. One delivery man showed me how to turn it on, then start mower blades, and reverse. Then they left.

In August it stopped working after just THREE MONTHS! A dead battery $62 plus pick up and delivery Again (after just servicing it). It is not even 6 months used! I expressed my frustration and their rep said, "Oh they sit around and get stale/die all the time." However, again in October (2 months) it stops working this time the price is $191.15! Oh it is the little PLASTIC PLUG for the oil. Apparently this also "breaks all the time" and causes oil to spray everywhere and deplete the engine!!! Thank God it is now winter. I can stop thinking about mower!

Now Feb 2016 arrives. My mower is kept covered/protected at all times, when not in use. But it would not start when I began my spring in March. Instead of SAS I had a local Briggs and Stratton (Cub Cadet dealer) pick up thinking the SAS may not be qualified/professional. I am NOT "MS Mechanic" and have no desire to be but I expect to get what I pay for. I AM still making regular timely payments ($118.63) on mower. Mower comes back and works The price $177.86!! In September I have to file a Chapter 13, due in part to having to PAY TWICE A MONTH for a crap mower.

Now in 2017, JANUARY it will not start and I call Cadet. It is another $70, then again on April 27, 2017 repairs for $149.05. On MAY $149.23, on June 1, $62.00 on The front wheel fell off WHILE I WAS RIDING IT!! On July 21 THE WHEEL FALLS OFF AGAIN SAME ONE!!! I have it serviced again because I want to get rid of it, Comes back with new blades and belt and wheel on (for how long, who knows) COST is now $225.75!! It is returned on July 29 On August 4 I am trying catch up on all the delayed mowing when it starts shuddering, then a thumping noise, then a spark out from under hood and I go to turn off but it stops while I am jumping off!!!

Today it is still sitting in that very spot, with a tarp on it, like a death shroud... I have talked to escalation with Husqvarna, talked to Briggs and Stratton and now I read all the horror stories! Yes A CLASS ACTION SUIT IS DEFINITELY IN ORDER HERE! Grand Total of payments(not counting court payments) is $1923.56

Grand Total of REPAIRS is $1211.71. Wow I could have been sipping pina coladas on my porch and WATCHED some else cut my lawn for that kind of moola!

Jack of Kayenta, AZ Verified Reviewer
Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

I currently have 2 lawn mowers with Briggs and Stratton engines sitting on my back porch that are very difficult to start. It seems like every time I go to use them, I have to mess around with them to get them started. The first one I had ran for a couple of years, then I started having issues with it. Replaced 2 or three carbs on it. My parents gave me another one, and it started right up, twice. Now it’s back to having to mess with it, again. Come on guys, you can do better than that. Up your game, and build a mower that starts every single time, with ease. I will never, ever buy another one of these mowers, and I will tell everybody I know to stay away from them.

kim of Findly, OH
Original review: July 30, 2017

Have a craftsman 42" 540cc 21 hp rider, last 3 years two head gaskets then pin busted in side had to be rip apart cost $800.00. This year rings on piston is bad, smokes real bad. Mod 331877 type 237g5. This engine is junk, is there any class action law suit on Briggs & Stratton?

Sandra of Douglasville, GA
Original review: July 7, 2017

Purchase this Briggs and Stratton lawn mower for $149.00+tax. Worked really well for 2 years. 3rd year this thing will not start, keeps shutting off. I changed oil, changed filter, new spark plug, new gas and used carburetor cleaner and it's still doing the same thing. I called B&G 1800#. The girl told me to take it to a hardware store because she can't tell me anything. I asked if it's life expectancy was only 3 years. She didn't know. I emailed Briggs and Stratton. Going on 3 weeks now and still haven't heard from them.

PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS MOWER. My daughter had the same problem with her Briggs and Stratton mower and my 2nd daughter has her Briggs and Stratton still sitting in garage... not working, having the same problem. These mowers suck. And nobody wants to own up to a piece of junk they're just throwing together. I had a Craftsman mower. That thing lasted for 13 years and had latch to adjust height, unlike this crap.

Kevin of Schertz, TX Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: July 5, 2017

In 2015 I bought a 7.25hp B&S snapper mower. Had a brother that thinks the world of his and has had it for 20 yrs. This new mower has been used approximately 6 times and will not start now. I also discovered the carburetor on it is plastic. A 7.25hp engine is worthless if it doesn't start, or when it did start it was governed down to a low idle making it ineffective as a mower. My recommendation to all future buyers of a lawn mower is to buy a Honda. I am using a Honda that was purchased in 1995, B&S are producing a product of low quality and the prudent thing is to steer clear of junk that is in the road.

Douglas of Bloomington, IL Verified Reviewer
Original review: July 3, 2017

I recently bought a lawn mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine, which blew a head gasket. I brought the mower to a service center authorized by Briggs & Stratton, which called Briggs & Stratton about the mower. Briggs & Stratton said the service center needs to take the engine apart and send pictures for them to determine whether or not they will pay for repairs under the warranty. It wound me up to $150 just to see if the engine is covered under warranty. I called Briggs & Stratton myself and they said in cases like this they usually don't pay for repairs, because they find that the owner did not keep enough oil in the engine.

I told the Briggs & Stratton rep that I followed the instructions in the owner's manual and kept the oil full, and I asked him how they can know by looking at pictures that the owner did not keep enough oil in the engine, but he was not able to answer this question. The rep at the service center told me that in his experience, Briggs & Stratton resists paying warranty claims. That is my experience too. I would definitely recommend not buying anything with a Briggs & Stratton engine.

Frank of Moses Lake, WA Verified Reviewer
Original review: June 6, 2017

Bought a Briggs Vanguard 23HP Engine kit to Repower a 530 Bobcat, after a month and MAYBE 30 Minutes of run time it wouldn't start, took it to the dealership for warranty work which Briggs refused to honor. Claiming Bad Gas Bent the Pushrods and Valves. Entire Fuel System was replaced a month ago and fuel was fresh with less than 10% Ethanol, Sounds more like a bad design to me. So it's off to Court to File a Claim Against Them and then I think I will go buy a Honda Engine. Be Wary of them you will likely get screwed.

Roni of Malden, MA Verified Reviewer
Original review: June 3, 2017

I am so dissatisfied with it. Bought the end of August last year, used it total of 2 times and stored it in the basement. Tried to start it up for this season, no luck. I called the helpline, spoke with a rep with the name of Melissa, I explained what I am facing. She said "sounds like the calibrator which is not covered under warranty". This is my first item from Briggs and Stratton and for sure the last. I will put in the garbage Monday morning and go pick up myself something decent.

Dave of Monroe, WI Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: May 2, 2017

Fastener on air filter cover broke which is delicate. New mower bought less than one year ago. Cannot purchase just the Fastener without purchasing the entire cover. No satisfaction from the company. I should have purchased the mower with the Kohler engine. I will inform all my friends and family to rethink purchasing this company's products.

Brian of Spencer, NY Verified Buyer
Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

Is there any options of recourse available to me after wasting over several hundred dollars buying a brand new exact replacement engine from Briggs & Stratton through the SpeeCo company? I bought a new engine that was supposed to bolt right in exactly how the original Briggs & Stratton engine did on my huskee wood splitter... of course when I bolted it on, it didn't fit. I had to call the tractor supply store where I ordered it from, they referred me to the "SpeeCo" company where they ordered it from, & they of course referred me to Briggs & Stratton customer support... who told me I would have to cut & modify the engine mounting plate to make this engine fit, which was supposed to be a direct bolt on replacement in the 1st place.

After I fabricated the mounting plate, I bolted it on, & got back to work, after 2 hours of use, the muffler fell off despite the fact that the 2 bolts that held it on, had bolt head keepers on them, I fixed that, only to have further problems as the weather got colder, this engine will not start or stay running unless I sit there repetitively pushing the primer bulb on the carburetor... I will not run unless I do so... now after about 10 hours of use, the tin cover on top of the engine that holds the pull start rope recoil to the top of the engine, is now cracked around its mounting bolts, & will not work to start the engine.

After making calls to the store, then the distribution company, then Briggs & Stratton, they tell me that they don't know why this is happening, even though I've found many other people on social media who have had, or are currently having the same exact issues. The people at Briggs & Stratton told me they couldn't do anything for me, unless I wanted to buy a new different carburetor that has a manual choke on it, & a new different style gas tank that would allow the operation of the choke, & buy a new tin engine cover with a rope recoil built in, that won't be any better or different from the one that has already failed on this brand new engine.

Dwight of Henrico, VA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

Purchased a new lawn tractor 3 years ago. Sold my house after the first year and did not use the tractor for 1 season due to new construction delays. The tractor was stored indoors. Third season (right after the warranty ran out), The engine threw and rod and the engine was destroyed. Contacted Briggs and Stratton and asked for out of warranty consideration since the engine had only 62 TOTAL HOURS of runtime on it. Briggs refused to replace it, now I am out of approximately $1100.00! These things are garbage. Will never own another Briggs and Stratton Product. Unfortunately you have to purchase a foreign engine to get a decent quality product.

Diane of Munster, IN Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

I purchased my Husqvarna tractor on 04/09/2016. I had 22 hours of mowing logged on my mower. I cut my yard and backed my tractor into the garage. As I was sweeping around the tractor, I noticed oil dripping on my garage floor. I called my son who took off the side panel protecting the engine. Well, I had a catastrophic failure with my engine. There was a hole in my engine. Oil was everywhere. The oil was all over the tractor, my left leg, my shoe, and my pants along with the floor. I called the service desk and was informed to bring in the tractor into the store. I had no clue that I had a problem. The tractor ran as well as it did the other times I cut the grass.

After several calls to the service center and much frustration, I will pick up my tractor from the Schererville, IN store soon. I talked to Husqvarna directly after being told to call them by the manager of garden center in Schererville, IN. I was told by Husqvarna that if there is a hole in the engine, I should call Briggs & Stratton directly. I did speak to Briggs and Stratton about my problem. I was asked why the tractor was sent to the service center for Lowe's instead of the service center authorized for Briggs and Stratton. That is a very good question! I received a message on 12/05/2016 saying the tractor was in the store. I will now pick up my tractor and try to get it to an authorized dealer for Briggs and Stratton.

Forty-one days after I dropped off my tractor, it has not been repaired. I would have to pay $1350.40 to have it fixed. I was told that my tractor was low on oil. As much oil that was on my floor, leg, shoes, pants, and the tractor itself it makes it hard to believe. It seems to me that if Lowe's employees knew where to send items for repair, my tractor would not be gone for forty-one days. I will never shop at Lowe's again. I am hoping that Briggs and Stratton can give me some answers about my engine failure.

Donald of San Antonio, TX Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 19, 2016

Brought a Brand New Yard Machine, the engine is by Briggs and Stratton. Got this lawn mover at Home Depot this past June of 2016. Did what was required for me to do after opening the box and putting it together. Pour the bag of Oil that came with into the machine, put new gas as well. Started it up, it made some noise that I was use in hearing out of a new lawn mover. Took it back and got another one, it did the same thing and took it back to home depot just well. They inform me that it was nothing wrong with it and it make this noise. Use it about once a week if that much.

Just this past September, Check everything and had to add some more oil to it. Did not understand that part in why. Added the oil until the dip stick showed full (The first hole from the top of the dip stick), While cutting this yard, I was just about finish when I heard a noise and saw all the oil coming out on the side of the engine. Didn't hit anything (always walk the yard to make sure nothing was in the yard or cause any harm to my mover). I look at it and said what the Hell, took it back to home depot and they told me that I had to control Briggs and Stratton. Did that and took it to the shop they referral me to take it to.

After a month, They inform me that it was not enough oil and I ask him, "Why did the dip stick said it was and you are telling me that it was not?" He could not answer that. Anyway, Briggs and Stratton contacted me this past week and said it was not warranty and it was denied. I spoke with other people and they inform that they had the same problem with Briggs and Stratton engine and showed me picture of the same things. This is what you call a Big Rip off on Consumer. I paid over $200.00 for it and you are telling me that I am out of pocket on this. Please Consumer buyers, Please Do Not buy any more Briggs and Stratton engine when they Do Not stand up to their Warranty.

Gary of Hemet, CA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 14, 2016

Craftsman mower with Briggs & Stratton engine, bought brand new just before summer this year. Used it two times, all of a sudden it won't start anymore. Tried new gas, sprayed carb with carb choke, spark plug looks like new, but it just won't start. I've had a McLane edger over twenty years, never serviced, still starts (could use some servicing, but it still starts). I can't say one good thing about Briggs & Stratton anymore. The off-brand mower I got from Home Depot about 10 years ago still ran fine but I gave it to a friend when I bought this one. Big mistake. Seems like lawnmowers are no longer the dependable workhorses they used to be, now they're just high-maintenance pieces of junk. I'll never go with B&S again.

John of Kokomo, IN Verified Reviewer
Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

Bought and OEM replacement carburetor for my push mower, P/N 799868. Came in Briggs & Stratton OEM parts box. Carburetor does is not usable. The air cleaner flange was ground down using an extremely coarse circular grinder leaving a grooved finish that does not seal properly with the thin fiber air cleaner housing gasket.

To make matters worse, the carburetor was obviously dumped into a box of other parts during manufacturing that severely dinged up the intake manifold flange and the air cleaner flange, making properly sealed mating on the air cleaner side impossible without lapping and burnishing the deep grooves and dings out of the flange. I could do this but the complete deal breaker is the primer port on the air cleaner flange does not line up properly with the primer port hole in the gasket (tested three different gaskets from several OEM parts sources) and as a consequence cannot line up correctly with the ridged primer groove in the air cleaner housing. Enlarging the hole in the gasket will not work as it would allow leakage from the ridged primer groove in the air cleaner housing (it would be outside the ridged groove).

Result: carburetor cannot be primed using the air cleaner priming bulb and engine requires about 15 minutes of continuous pulling on the starting rope to start as engine and air cleaner CANNOT be choked after which one's arm and shoulder is sore for a week afterward. The root cause? Briggs & Stratton is now having their OEM repair parts made in CHINA with ZERO quality control. I'm hoping now that I can keep the current carburetor working until I can find an acceptable replacement or get Briggs & Stratton to send me a properly manufactured carburetor. In the meantime my lawn continues to grow relentlessly.

Allen of York, Other Verified Reviewer
Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

I bought a Lawnflite Minirider mower from BATA, Easingwold, North Yorkshire in November 2014 to use on my small lawn. Had it serviced in February 2016. It failed to start in July and it is still with BATA (in pieces). They contacted your Cheshire branch sending photos of the damage and your Sam ** concluded that the repair cannot be done on warranty. I have studied the 11 situations in which the warranty does not apply and none of those apply.

Now, I have done nothing wrong, have never done anything other than run the machine yet I'm the one left with the bill of more than 300. Mr. ** offered to look at the engine if we could send it to him at my expense (50 plus). He says that in addition to scoring of the piston and cylinder the bearings also show damage. I don't think it worth the gamble of sending it to Cheshire. So what am I THE INNOCENT PARTY to do? It is obviously wrong for both yourselves and BATA to refuse responsibility when one of you is clearly at fault.

A. S. of Lake Worth, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: July 26, 2016

Very disappointed about Briggs Stratton's customer service and their new products. Got a normal gas push mower at Home Depot a year ago. Used it 2x and it would not start. Took it a licensed repair shop (Rogers Engine in West Palm Beach) who charged for oil, spark plug and air filter, because it was not covered under warranty...after only having the mower 6 months!! It worked again for 2 times and again would not start. Took it in again and was told that the ethanol gasoline damages the carburetor which needs to be cleaned and again that is not covered.

I called Briggs Stratton to ask that they pay for this one repair and then I would sell the mower and not ever bother them again. The "product specialist" came back to me with the offer to split the bill!!! Really? A company like Briggs and Stratton producing a crappy cheap product, not putting a warning right on the gas cap about not using ethanol gasoline and then not even covering damages under the warranty. I will NEVER buy a product from them again.

Marc of Columbia, MO Verified Reviewer
Original review: July 18, 2016

I purchased an Ariens 42" riding mower from Home Depot in May of 2014. This mower came with a Briggs and Stratton 19hp model 330000 Intek "Extended Life Series" motor. Specifically, 33r877 0009 is the motor number, which carries a 2 yr warranty. It ran fine in both 2014 and 2015 mowing seasons and between seasons, the mower was stored according to the manufacturers instructions. It was maintained also per manufacturers instructions, including using only Briggs and Stratton oil, oil filter, gas filter, air cleaner and spark plug.

I live in central Missouri, so the mowing season generally spans from early to mid May, (mowing once per week thru July) to late August, only mowing 2 to 3 times that month due to the heat and little rain, with maybe one more need to mow mid to late September before storing it for the winter. This is when I performed the maintenance, ie oil change, etc. The mower was only used approx. 16 hrs per season. About mid June of this year I noticed a little bit of white smoke from the exhaust. I took it to Henderson Implement here in Columbia, and their diagnosis was the engine was "not repairable". Matt, the mechanic said "it looks like an older motor" and "that the head gasket was blown and had severe scoring on the cylinder walls". This motor has less 50 hrs on it!!!

Of course, the warranty was out by 2 months. But, I'd never expect the motor to be non repairable. I have a push mower with a Briggs and Stratton 6.75hp motor purchased from Menards. I took it last year to LEE'S tractor for some carb work, but was told that they won't service that particular motor due to its high instance of break downs. I see several other similar complaints on this site as well as other consumer websites. It's no wonder Briggs and Stratton doesn't participate in consumer affairs. Shame on you B and S. You were the reason I purchased the mowers.

Ike of Mansfield, TX
Original review: July 16, 2016

Sometime ago I purchased a John Deer riding mower that came equipped with a Briggs Stratton 21 HP engine. Before 100 hours run time, the engine developed a blown head gasket. I sent the mower in for repair at a cost of $320. This week with total of 140 hours run time, another blown head gasket. I personally replaced the head gasket at a cost of $30 for materials and 3 1/2 hours personal labor. There is a definite engine design defect considering the head gaskets consistently blow every 100 hours run time or less.

Briggs and Stratton expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Briggs and Stratton Corporation creates the engines used in many riding lawn mowers.

• Industry leading engine: More than a dozen riding lawn mower companies put this engine in their equipment.

• Replacement parts: Briggs and Stratton engine parts are available directly from the company.

• Durability: The engine's design focuses on high durability.

• Consistent starts: Briggs and Stratton engines have reliable and consistent starts.

• Wide power range: The company creates small engines for basic riding mowers up to commercial grade equipment.

• Best for: Riding mower owners replacing or upgrading their current engine.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs