Briggs and Stratton

Compare Riding Mowers

Research top Riding Mowers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Brought a Brand New Yard Machine, the engine is by Briggs and Stratton. Got this lawn mover at Home Depot this past June of 2016. Did what was required for me to do after opening the box and putting it together. Pour the bag of Oil that came with into the machine, put new gas as well. Started it up, it made some noise that I was use in hearing out of a new lawn mover. Took it back and got another one, it did the same thing and took it back to home depot just well. They inform me that it was nothing wrong with it and it make this noise. Use it about once a week if that much.

Just this past September, Check everything and had to add some more oil to it. Did not understand that part in why. Added the oil until the dip stick showed full (The first hole from the top of the dip stick), While cutting this yard, I was just about finish when I heard a noise and saw all the oil coming out on the side of the engine. Didn't hit anything (always walk the yard to make sure nothing was in the yard or cause any harm to my mover). I look at it and said what the Hell, took it back to home depot and they told me that I had to control Briggs and Stratton. Did that and took it to the shop they referral me to take it to.

After a month, They inform me that it was not enough oil and I ask him, "Why did the dip stick said it was and you are telling me that it was not?" He could not answer that. Anyway, Briggs and Stratton contacted me this past week and said it was not warranty and it was denied. I spoke with other people and they inform that they had the same problem with Briggs and Stratton engine and showed me picture of the same things. This is what you call a Big Rip off on Consumer. I paid over $200.00 for it and you are telling me that I am out of pocket on this. Please Consumer buyers, Please Do Not buy any more Briggs and Stratton engine when they Do Not stand up to their Warranty.

Craftsman mower with Briggs & Stratton engine, bought brand new just before summer this year. Used it two times, all of a sudden it won't start anymore. Tried new gas, sprayed carb with carb choke, spark plug looks like new, but it just won't start. I've had a McLane edger over twenty years, never serviced, still starts (could use some servicing, but it still starts). I can't say one good thing about Briggs & Stratton anymore. The off-brand mower I got from Home Depot about 10 years ago still ran fine but I gave it to a friend when I bought this one. Big mistake. Seems like lawnmowers are no longer the dependable workhorses they used to be, now they're just high-maintenance pieces of junk. I'll never go with B&S again.

Bought and OEM replacement carburetor for my push mower, P/N 799868. Came in Briggs & Stratton OEM parts box. Carburetor does is not usable. The air cleaner flange was ground down using an extremely coarse circular grinder leaving a grooved finish that does not seal properly with the thin fiber air cleaner housing gasket.

To make matters worse, the carburetor was obviously dumped into a box of other parts during manufacturing that severely dinged up the intake manifold flange and the air cleaner flange, making properly sealed mating on the air cleaner side impossible without lapping and burnishing the deep grooves and dings out of the flange. I could do this but the complete deal breaker is the primer port on the air cleaner flange does not line up properly with the primer port hole in the gasket (tested three different gaskets from several OEM parts sources) and as a consequence cannot line up correctly with the ridged primer groove in the air cleaner housing. Enlarging the hole in the gasket will not work as it would allow leakage from the ridged primer groove in the air cleaner housing (it would be outside the ridged groove).

Result: carburetor cannot be primed using the air cleaner priming bulb and engine requires about 15 minutes of continuous pulling on the starting rope to start as engine and air cleaner CANNOT be choked after which one's arm and shoulder is sore for a week afterward. The root cause? Briggs & Stratton is now having their OEM repair parts made in CHINA with ZERO quality control. I'm hoping now that I can keep the current carburetor working until I can find an acceptable replacement or get Briggs & Stratton to send me a properly manufactured carburetor. In the meantime my lawn continues to grow relentlessly.

I bought a Lawnflite Minirider mower from BATA, Easingwold, North Yorkshire in November 2014 to use on my small lawn. Had it serviced in February 2016. It failed to start in July and it is still with BATA (in pieces). They contacted your Cheshire branch sending photos of the damage and your Sam ** concluded that the repair cannot be done on warranty. I have studied the 11 situations in which the warranty does not apply and none of those apply.

Now, I have done nothing wrong, have never done anything other than run the machine yet I'm the one left with the bill of more than 300. Mr. ** offered to look at the engine if we could send it to him at my expense (50 plus). He says that in addition to scoring of the piston and cylinder the bearings also show damage. I don't think it worth the gamble of sending it to Cheshire. So what am I THE INNOCENT PARTY to do? It is obviously wrong for both yourselves and BATA to refuse responsibility when one of you is clearly at fault.

Very disappointed about Briggs Stratton's customer service and their new products. Got a normal gas push mower at Home Depot a year ago. Used it 2x and it would not start. Took it a licensed repair shop (Rogers Engine in West Palm Beach) who charged for oil, spark plug and air filter, because it was not covered under warranty...after only having the mower 6 months!! It worked again for 2 times and again would not start. Took it in again and was told that the ethanol gasoline damages the carburetor which needs to be cleaned and again that is not covered.

I called Briggs Stratton to ask that they pay for this one repair and then I would sell the mower and not ever bother them again. The "product specialist" came back to me with the offer to split the bill!!! Really? A company like Briggs and Stratton producing a crappy cheap product, not putting a warning right on the gas cap about not using ethanol gasoline and then not even covering damages under the warranty. I will NEVER buy a product from them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Briggs and Stratton?

I purchased an Ariens 42" riding mower from Home Depot in May of 2014. This mower came with a Briggs and Stratton 19hp model 330000 Intek "Extended Life Series" motor. Specifically, 33r877 0009 is the motor number, which carries a 2 yr warranty. It ran fine in both 2014 and 2015 mowing seasons and between seasons, the mower was stored according to the manufacturers instructions. It was maintained also per manufacturers instructions, including using only Briggs and Stratton oil, oil filter, gas filter, air cleaner and spark plug.

I live in central Missouri, so the mowing season generally spans from early to mid May, (mowing once per week thru July) to late August, only mowing 2 to 3 times that month due to the heat and little rain, with maybe one more need to mow mid to late September before storing it for the winter. This is when I performed the maintenance, ie oil change, etc. The mower was only used approx. 16 hrs per season. About mid June of this year I noticed a little bit of white smoke from the exhaust. I took it to Henderson Implement here in Columbia, and their diagnosis was the engine was "not repairable". Matt, the mechanic said "it looks like an older motor" and "that the head gasket was blown and had severe scoring on the cylinder walls". This motor has less 50 hrs on it!!!

Of course, the warranty was out by 2 months. But, I'd never expect the motor to be non repairable. I have a push mower with a Briggs and Stratton 6.75hp motor purchased from Menards. I took it last year to LEE'S tractor for some carb work, but was told that they won't service that particular motor due to its high instance of break downs. I see several other similar complaints on this site as well as other consumer websites. It's no wonder Briggs and Stratton doesn't participate in consumer affairs. Shame on you B and S. You were the reason I purchased the mowers.

Sometime ago I purchased a John Deer riding mower that came equipped with a Briggs Stratton 21 HP engine. Before 100 hours run time, the engine developed a blown head gasket. I sent the mower in for repair at a cost of $320. This week with total of 140 hours run time, another blown head gasket. I personally replaced the head gasket at a cost of $30 for materials and 3 1/2 hours personal labor. There is a definite engine design defect considering the head gaskets consistently blow every 100 hours run time or less.

I purchased a brand new Briggs & Stratton Electric Pressure Washer through Amazon. It was unpacked Saturday, July 25th and used for the first time. It ran fine for 1 hour until a POP was heard. Immediately afterwards, water spilled out from the bottom of the plastic enclosure due to an internal connecting hose 12 inch long separating from a bolted flange at the manifold. This is a short black rubber hose (5/8 dia), 12 inches long with plastic fittings on each end, located internally between the pressure pump and the manifold.

It separated from the flange fitting held by two plastic locking keys. I attempted to order a replacement 12 inch connecting line from B & S website only to be told that B & S does NOT carry this part in their PARTS inventory and they told me to buy another product?!?! HA, I will never buy another Briggs and Stratton product. I should have done my research on such a scam company.

Even If I go to MARS it can't get worse than these morons. I bought a Troy Bilt push mower in November, doesn't work in April. Used it 4 times - 4 hrs and engine is shot. Briggs and Stratton's local service experts sent them pictures - Briggs and Stratton says engine is damaged and they only cover materials. "Apparently engine is not a material" - it's human or dog or alien???

Called Troy Bilt and they said - "talk to Briggs and Stratton." It's your mower - BS IS YOUR SUPPLIER not honoring a warranty. They said "don't talk to us." So Troy Bilt don't care how their suppliers treat Troy Bilt's customers. Awesome if I am a food manufacturer and put tainted peanut butter in your sandwich and you get sick, I should say - "go talk to peanut butter guy. I am just the sandwich maker using my bread??" Adding insult to this - now service expert local guy says - "warranty didn't cover this - so you have to pay 50$ for diagnostics charge." I go with the Japanese company here on - C'mon Honda. They have Ethics!!! MODEL#11AA2BM711. Engine # 9p7020144f1.

This is in regards to a MTD mower with BRIGGS AND STRATTON MOTOR, purchased from WALMART. Also PURCHASED ASURION EXTENDED WARRANTY. The biggest mistakes I have made. They are not under any warranty. What a surprise this is. To all of the people who might purchase the above things do not buy!!!

Consumer Increased Rating!

UPDATE! Just want to let you all know Briggs did resolve my engine problems by giving me a new engine. I had posted back in May about an engine that would not start after shutting it off for about ten minutes. After local authorized dealer (The Toro Store in Moline, Illinois) told me I had run it low on oil and Briggs would not cover repair I was not happy. Always check my oil before starting to mow and there were no leaks. Contacted Briggs and started a 2-month process to get a new motor. DO NOT trust the word of your local authorized dealer. They wanted to repair my engine for $150! Turned out a valve was sticking open so I had no compression, nothing to do with low oil. Briggs shipped a new motor (to the same dealer) but I picked it up in the box and installed it myself.

bruce of Rock Island, IL on

Original Review

Bought this mower because it was American made with 2 year warranty. LOL Just 2 weeks before warranty was expired mower wouldn't start after shutting it off. Took it to nearest authorized dealer to have it looked at. Only mowed about 4-5 times after spring tune-up and oil change. Takes about 50 minutes to mow my yard. Dealer said it was run low on oil and scored the motor. Briggs and Stratton won't cover repairs. I tried to contact Briggs but so far to no avail. This is impossible as I check the oil every time before operating and I asked the dealer how much oil was in it when they tore it apart, it was full... so I filled it after I blew the motor? WRONG!!! The block has very little scoring in it if you ask me but I brought it home in pieces I will buy another mower with a Honda motor if Briggs refuses to fix this. I'm a Union man and want the American worker to have jobs but I won't be ripped off by corporate America!!

Murray/Toro push mowers with Briggs and Stratton engines. One was purchased last year, 2015 and the other one 2014. Both are in shop now because they will not start. I serviced both units, new oil, air filter and spark plugs. The small engine mechanic stated this was a very well-known problem with the B&S engines and it has to do with the carburetor and possibly fuel. All I can say is I own other units with Honda and Kohler engines which have never had these problems and I will discontinue purchasing Briggs and Stratton engines. They are not what they used to be years ago.

Turn Tight Riding Mower has many issues. Last spring it would not start. It had no compression to turn the thing over. Called and had to fight for Briggs and Stratton to help fix the problem. Got it back after it had cam guide repaired and a pressure relief valve. Might as well sent me a new motor. I had to pay for labor so it cost me 100 and some bucks. Tried to start it not even a year later and it's doing the act same thing, and I don't have a $100 to do it again so I can tell this will be a bigger fight than last year 'cause they are going to have to pick up the whole bill. This is ridiculous. Any one else have same problem? I hope they're ready to help me 'cause they are going to find out what the lemon law's about!!!

Hi, I bought a new Lawn Boy push behind mower in Walmart in June 2015. On the 4th mow the engine blew up. There was a large hole in the engine, so I took it into an authorized repair place, with the large dollar size chunk that blew off the engine (B&S model 90000 E series 500e engine). After 2 weeks they called and told me it wasn't under warranty. They said that there wasn't enough oil in the engine. The oil spilled out after the engine had blown up! They tried to charge me $50 CA for looking at it, I didn't and let them keep the new mower. What a piece of junk!

I unfortunately own a B&S 7k standby generator model 310000 with engine 319775-0109 for about 3 yrs. This motor has been riddled with problems from day one such as (hard starting, backfiring, low oil, fouled plugs, rough idle). 2 weeks ago during a power outage it wouldn't start so I go out 4 am - 9 degrees and I have yet another fouled plug! I replace the plug with the extras I have to keep on hand for this junkie engine, however it ran the battery down trying to start! So I had to jump it with a car battery. It ran about 2 1/2 hours before it literally blew my muffler apart! I can send pictures as I still have the muffler. It shut down and I had a code of f6 code (overspeed) bought a new muffler which had been redesigned, restarted it and it went right to overspeed.

B&S tech came out and told me I had a blown head gasket, bent valves, and the internal governor was bad and it was also knocking. He would not recommend a rebuild as he said he has seen this before with this motor and one of the reasons Briggs discontinued this generator. Btw it only had 64 hrs. on it. Online there is numerous complaints about the head gasket as well as this generator. Briggs was like this is the first time they heard about it.

Briggs is not what it once was. If you look at top commercial brand lawn mowers you will not see a Briggs. It usually will be Kohler or Kawasaki. I am now looking at a Kohler 8k standby which BTW has a five year commercial and residential warranty. Briggs is only four and is residential only because they know if they went longer they would be doing numerous repairs. Briggs customer service is horrible and could care less. Now I truly have a standby generator. It literally stands by and does NOTHING just like Briggs and Stratton themselves .

I purchased a Briggs and Stratton 7000 Generator in December 2005. Never used it for emergency power but kept it serviced and in excellent condition, including running it for 30 minutes three times a year. I expected to be ready for emergency use. With a forecast of up to 16 inches of snow and possible one quarter inch of ice, I moved the generator from my garage to the outside electrical hook-up to my house. Before plugging it in I started the engine to test the generator. The engine blew after running less than two minutes. I checked that the oil was at the full level before starting. The engine never had a tank of gas ran through it. I would hope that Briggs and Stratton would replace the engine.

I ordered a Carburetor for pressure washer & before I received the part I called to cancel that I fixed the problem. Well, I ordered it 11-21-15 finally received refund 12-27-15 but they charged me for return shipping unopened box. $8.52 charge. No other company that I have dealt with has ever charged me for return!!! I cannot believe My Home Town would do this!? I will no longer buy Briggs product again and I will tell people to buy other!!!

Bought a Troy-Bilt 3-1 chipper, shredder, vac with the 190cc Briggs and Stratton engine September 2014. Used this unit twice with a total of 2hours. The third time the recoil spring failed. Knowing it was still under warranty I took it back to Lowe's to have it sent out for repair. Got a call telling me it was not covered because that's normal wear and tear. This engine could not handle six pulls on the recoil! Sad! This is a testament to their quality and customer service. You can decide if that's normal wear or poor quality. I have never had any problems with my Hondas. When you pay good money for a piece of equipment all manufacturers SHOULD state where the engine, ext are made. It's your right as a consumer to know before you make the decision to buy their products.

Bought the $149 lawn mower (walk behind) and it wouldn't start. Took it back to Home Depot for a replacement and it wouldn't work either. While at Home Depot on both trips, 1 customer was bringing his back for the same reason. On my 2nd trip, another customer said he bought one before and had the same problem! Never again will I buy anything with Briggs & Stratton's name on it! They are selling brand new products that don't work and I'm sure they know it!

So far I have bought 2 of these mowers and neither has lasted for more than a year. I will not be buying the 450 Series ever again. These mowers are junk. My neighbor had the same one and his lasted only a few months. In fact the next mower I'm going to get is not going to be a Briggs and Stratton if possible but definitely not a 450 Series. Fyi: My yard is very small, each mower was cared for and put in garage after use. I've cleaned the fuel tanks and carbs on all 3 mowers when they started to run poorly. It didn't help. I've even replaced the fuel diaphragm on all 3. Still didn't help. New plugs and good gas and still they run like crap. I followed each repair according to technical info for these mowers. I don't know if it's cheap parts or what but they are terrible mowers. You shouldn't have to replace a coil or governor on a mower after a few uses!!!

My lawn mower is out of warranty but not yet 5 years old. You would expect all sorts of problems with such a tool but it worked OK until last week when the drive shaft broke. This is an unusual defect and not easy to kill a 22.2 mm diameter steel shaft under normal operation. Looking at the break we could conclude that there was a bad spot (cavity) in the steel or the design near this particular area supports a break. I wonder how many other users have a similar problem

I bought a new Briggs & Stratton V-Tech Engine (17.5 HP) as a replacement engine for my 2000 Simplicity Broadmoor Riding Mower. My local dealer installed the engine in April. When I got the mower home, it ran for 1 hour before I took a break. When I returned it would not start. I troubleshoot everything and then took it back to my dealer. The coil was bad. This was repeated 3 times with B&S insisting that there were no problems with their coils (We put 3 new ones on). My dealer took the old coil from my 2000 B&S engine that we took off my mower, and the engine worked perfectly.

B&S suggested that we put a new coil like the old one at their expense. We ordered one (old part #) and the new type coil was sent as a replacement. The same thing happened. My dealer put the old coil back on and the mower has run perfectly ever since. B&S still will not admit that the newly designed coils are defective, after we tried four of them. They did reimburse my dealer for his labor and expense, but I still have a brand new engine with a 15 year old coil on it!

Power flow plus - These pressure washer are a piece of junk. I got one from Lowe's and the second time I used it, it started blowing water everywhere. So I took it back, got another one and the third time it did the same thing. You need to take the pot metal out and put real parts in there. I'm very disappointed with this product and will never buy another one.

I bought a replacement engine from a local dealer, to replace the old engine on my zero turn rider. I replaced old engine with new one, ran the motor for no longer than 15 min, engine sounded funny so I turned the motor off and checked everything again. Tried to start motor again and nothing, called my local dealer and they came and picked up mower and called me next day and said engine was ran without oil and threw a rod... Which is really funny because I not only bought oil for the new engine I put it in... WHY WOULDN'T I DO THIS... So then they proceed to tell me that I can send into Briggs and Stratton on my dime to have them look at this. I told them to bring mower back to my house and not only am I not using local dealer anymore I'm not buying another Briggs and Stratton engine on anything again.

I have trusted the local dealer and (B&S) to sell me a functioning product, and this is a case where the consumer has been let down. So much for American Made Products. Funny thing was I bought a replacement (B&S) engine for a rototiller that still runs fine. NO thrown rods!!! or any other issues. But not standing behind your product that fails like this issue has me looking to find a better company.

Purchased mower 10 weeks ago and have roughly 10 hours of mow time. Engine ceased up and I was instructed by Toro to bring mower to dealer. Briggs rep admitted it was manufacturing fault that caused cease. I have been waiting over two weeks for replacement engine. Service has been abysmal. Would recommend steering clear of Toro and Briggs and Stratton.

I purchased this mower on 4/14/2014 and I have a small yard. Only a front yard no back. It has about 13 hours of run time on the mower. It blew up the other day and Lowe's, where I bought it, is saying it brought a rod because of no oil. Where did the oil go? Briggs and Stratton recommends changing the oil every 25 hours. This only has 13 hours on it. Briggs and Stratton is junk. I hold out no hope to get this fixed or get any money back from everything I have read. Briggs and Stratton is a ripoff! Do not buy!!!!

I purchased this Craftsman riding mower (DYT4000) from Sears in 2004 and have used it since that time cutting a yard approximately 100' x 200'. The tractor recently hit the 100 hr mark and I changed the oil and filter which was relatively easy to do. I drove it for another 6 hrs until yesterday. While driving the tractor, I felt an irregular vibration coming through the steering wheel and generally through the tractor. While cutting my grass the engine began spewing a lot of blue smoke whereby I immediately shut the engine off. I tried several minutes later to start the engine but it wouldn't start. From what I know about engines and what I read, this engine has seized and a major overhaul?? is necessary, if possible. I'm looking at the possibility of purchasing another engine if reasonable.

LA135 JD, B&S Engine Blew up after 75 hours w/Regular Maintenance. I bought the tractor from Home Depot brand new and did the first oil change after 10 hours and from there every 50 hours with changing the oil filter, air filter and oil. I had to have a brand new engine put in for $900 in 2013 and now have a B&S 21 HP engine. I am giving Briggs and Stratton one more chance. This engine does not perform well, I am never buying another B&S engine again.

Took my John Deere LA115 to Western Auto. They put me a new 21 HP Briggs & Stratton engine on my riding lawn mower. In 3 weeks' time, while mowing, it started missing. Took it back, they said it was gas in oil so they changed my oil and put a fuel cut off valve in fuel line. But still have bad miss. They replace carburetor, plugs, reset valves - it still miss. I am pissed off now. Just get me a new motor. Never buy one again.

Bought Lawnmower 550E Series with 140cc Motor in 2012, and another one, will tell later about the other. Used once a month, almost every time it will work fine for 5 minutes then will stall. Bought the gasoline stabilizer after removing all old gasoline. Added clean gasoline and stabilizer, stored again until next month... then it happens again. This is going on for the past 2 and some years. Looked for help in their web page, and was unable finding the right help.

Their web page mentions how to identify motor, it says should be **. Well my motor is 9P 702 0004 F1, when entering 9P7020 - 0004 in their web page search window, I got nothing! I found more cryptic numbers but still to no avail, go figure. Well the other product is a blower, and after having it for 2 years the hose that supply gasoline from tank to motor got crack and motor did not start. Found where the problem was, bought another line and replaced then it happen again 6 months later. Motor on lawnmower was manufactured on 2012.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Briggs and Stratton Corporation creates the engines used in many riding lawn mowers.

• Industry leading engine: More than a dozen riding lawn mower companies put this engine in their equipment.
  • Replacement parts: Briggs and Stratton engine parts are available directly from the company.
  • Durability: The engine's design focuses on high durability.
  • Consistent starts: Briggs and Stratton engines have reliable and consistent starts.
  • Wide power range: The company creates small engines for basic riding mowers up to commercial grade equipment.
  • Best for Riding mower owners replacing or upgrading their current engine.

Compare Riding Mower