2. Homeowners
  3. Riding Mowers

3.9/5 (279 ratings)

About Briggs and Stratton

Briggs and Stratton Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Briggs and Stratton?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Briggs and Stratton?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

This lawn mower is simple and if you have to replace parts they are easy to get at Walmart. I have had this lawn mower for 15 years. It is easy to clean and starts up every time with a spark plug once in a while.

Original review: July 31, 2021

At first I was leery about this mower but after using in love cutting the grass. Gives grass a smooth professional cut. I do not use my weed wacker. If you looking for a precise cutting mower with just the right amount of power then invest in a Briggs and Stratton mower.

Get buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 30, 2021

Briggs and Stratton has been a staple in the small engines for our riding mowers for years. The dependability and affordability can’t be match by other manufacturers. With proper care these engines will last a lifetime of mowing. You can always know that you’ll get reliable customer service and be able to get all the parts you need, no matter how old. I’ve always trusted this brand with my mowing needs and so should everyone else.

Original review: July 29, 2021

B&S always been a great product. I've owned several products with B&S in them and never have let me down. I recommend B&S products to my family and friends. Other products are good but can't compare to B&S.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

Since my first lawnmower purchase in (approximately) 1969, I have owned and worn out a number of push-type lawn mowers all of which had Briggs & Stratton motors. In my experience, B&S have been very good and - until my latest research - I could not speak highly enough of them. My current mower with a 190cc B&S motor, over 10 years old, starts and runs perfectly with no other maintenance than an infrequent oil change and blade replacement.

Given the task of buying a replacement mower for our local church, I commenced researching far more thoroughly than I would had I been buying for myself. The mower with the facilities for the purpose - and was in the price range - looked good till I started researching the Intek motor, a brand I had never previously heard of.

When I learned it was made by B&S, I was skeptical of all the negative reviews which are so contrary to my experience. I put the volume and characteristics of the reviews down to a type of "herd" syndrome where like opinions attract 'me too,' similar comments and made up my mind that I had to provide a counter opinion commensurate with my experience. I kept researching and reading reviews till I became convinced that sadly, B&S have dropped the ball and in doing so have ruined a reputation shared by many like myself who have been more than satisfied with our experience. Needless to say, I will not be recommending my initial replacement choice to the church.

Original review: May 2, 2021

In November of 2019, I bought a Dual Stage Snowblower from Briggs and Stratton with a one-year warranty. Two days after my purchase, it snowed and I was eager to use it. After opening the box and reading the manual, I tried starting the engine but it failed to start. After two days of trying to start the snowblower, I brought the machine back to the store, expecting to return it. The store told me that since I had already tried starting it, I must call Briggs and Stratton, rather than returning it. When I called B&S and they directed me to a local repair shop. The shop would not repair the machine without payment, so I called B&S and they assured me that the warranty would cover the machine. I tried the shop again but they would not accept the warranty.

Once again, I called B&S and asked them to talk to the repair shop and they agreed and I left the machine at the shop. After waiting for a response from the shop, I called B&S to confirm that they had contacted them about the warranty, they told me that they were busy but were going to do it. I called B&S many times in the next few months asking when they would contact them, their response was the same every time, they would get around to it. After about six months of the same response, they stopped answering and would leave me on hold without ever picking up. Three years later, I have not gotten a response, my snowblower is still at the shop, and Briggs and Stratton have dishonestly kept my money. This company is untrustworthy and not worth your business.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I wouldn’t recommend anyone buying any Briggs & Stratton products!! I bought my pressure washer in April 2020 and stored it in my garage till last month and opened it up to use it and ran horrible! Smoking running rich and didn’t make pressure would barely run. Called Lowe’s to return it and they guided me to Briggs & Stratton for the issue. Came with a 2 year warranty and they won’t even cover the carburetor that was bad! So I’m stuck with a brand new pressure washer that doesn’t work!!! Worst customer service ever and warranty!! Bought a new one today with a Honda motor and it works perfect!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

When the 12 kW generator kicked on during a power outage, there were swings in the voltage noticeable by the lights in my home getting dimmer and brighter and an accurate voltmeter I own oscillating between 114 and 119 volts. In addition, the 12 kW generator would not support the air conditioning in my house which I was told it would do. I had completely lost faith in this unit and wanted to replace it with a Generac but the cost to install a new control unit along with a Generac generator was excessive so I kept the control unit and upgraded to a 20 kW B&S in September 2020.

Today, less than 6 months after installation of this new generator, while clearing the snow off and around the generator, I noticed the blue status light was flashing. I called called the dealer and to their credit a service technician arrived within a few hours. The technician told me that he replaced a faulty control board within the generator. The new part, he told me, was an upgraded version of the original part.

This causes me to wonder, if B&S knew the part was faulty and needed upgrading, why wasn't a recall notice issued and the part replaced proactively? I also wonder about other parts that are going to fail. I am completely distrustful of this particular unit and B&S products in general. While researching online how to contact B&S, I discovered that B&S has gone bankrupt and is now run by an equity firm. This is not a company with whom I will do further business and from whom I am sorry that I purchased generators. If I could afford it, I would have this unreliable unit removed and replace it with a unit I can trust.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

Used as replacement engine on Steiner 420 only to have breather cover on valve pan vibrate off and begin to leak oil while mowing and can't notice resulting in way premature engine failure in 112 hours. B&S could have cared less when contacted about part falling off engine. Had a lot of things with engines but none ever had parts fall off. I would suggest any other motor for repair.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I bought this Huskee lt4200 mower with a 17.5 Briggs and Stratton engine not even a year ago and am having nothing but troubles with it. Engine compression is shot. Won’t start without manually turning the flywheel. I’m a 46-year-old woman. I am so unhappy that this is not working. We did everything the book said and it still won’t work.

Briggs and Stratton author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Briggs and Stratton Corporation creates the engines used in many riding lawn mowers.

• Industry leading engine: More than a dozen riding lawn mower companies put this engine in their equipment.

• Replacement parts: Briggs and Stratton engine parts are available directly from the company.

• Durability: The engine's design focuses on high durability.

• Consistent starts: Briggs and Stratton engines have reliable and consistent starts.

• Wide power range: The company creates small engines for basic riding mowers up to commercial grade equipment.

Briggs and Stratton Company Information