1.30/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Briggs and Stratton Reviews

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

Have a one year old Simplicity Courier zero turn with this engine that does not like to start in cold weather. SUPPOSEDLY Briggs & Stratton and its ReadyStart system should make it as easy as a car, but every car I've ever owned starts easier than this thing in the cold. I can get no answers from B & S or Simplicity about solving the problem other than to take it to a 'warranty center' - but they don't tell me where one is or how I'm supposed to get it there. Useless support.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

If it was possible to give no stars I would do so. They have the worst customer service, I was on hold for 30 minutes until I decided to call from another line and then they answered. Supervisor talked over me while I was trying to speak and was not trying to do anything to help the situation. They were an actual headache! I hate this company with a passion and I hope they go out of business.

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

2 months past warranty. The engine on my 2017 mower is junk and yes I take great care of all my engines. Changing oil is cheap. This engine has had 3 oil changes in 25 hours. No reason to crap out other than a decompressor that would not have to be there if they could put on a good starter. This was engineered to fail. They should be ashamed of this.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I bought a Snapper XD electric mower, but it's a Briggs and Stratton product and comes with a manual with their name on it. One of the two 82V batteries that came with the mower would not fully charge on the initial charge and never would on subsequent charges. According to the manual, it is charging to 60-80% of capacity. It runs the mower about 25% less time than the "good" battery that came with it. I've now called B&S 3 times. The first two times, I was encouraged to use the battery a few times and recharge it, to see if it would become normal. It hasn't. I called today, expecting them to send me a new battery. The service rep said that his supervisor said that my faulty battery is performing better than their minimum standards and they're not going to replace it. Thanks a lot!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

Early this summer, I purchased a mower with a Briggs and Stratton motor. I literally used it four times before the engine failed. I took it to the dealer thinking that they would honor the warranty being a great company and reputable brand. It sat at the dealer for six weeks before I finally called Briggs and Stratton to give them the business over the phone. One week later, they rejected my claim due to lack of lubrication. The mower was running fine the first four times I used it. How does a good motor just fail when the thing had oil in it from day one?? DO NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCT. I will continue to give them bad reviews, because they completely let me down. Having to borrow someone else's mower every week while I waited for a rejected claim that I thought would be a no-brainer for them, is not something I will ever go through again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Briggs and Stratton?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

I purchased the mower in April of 2017 to mow a 1/4 acre city lot with a ranch home, garage and pass through driveway. This yard takes just under 20 minutes to mow. Mowing in this area is once a week in April through June, every other week July through November and none in winter. I had finished mowing and was cleaning the mower. I test pulled after cleaning and the mower didn't start. On the fourth pull the mower made a clank sound and I could no longer pull the starting cord. I tried internet recommendation such as removing the plug and pulling, checking the pull mechanism, and checking the blade. The engine remained seized. I checked the oil, proper level and clear.

The mower has a three year warranty so Toro recommended taking it to an authorized dealer. The dealer reported it and Toro forwarded the claim to Briggs and Stratton. Briggs said I must've run it without oil so the warranty is voided. They didn't care about the age and very little use this mower had seen. Purchased April 2017, died in June 2019. Really Briggs and Stratton? Something has changed.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I bought a Toro 20339 model lawnmower from Home Depot. It made with Briggs and Stratton Engine. After 3.5 month it won't start. I took it to Power Zone for repair, dealer send claim to them but they request dealer sent the broken engine to them. One weeks later I received email from them. Said, "Failure due to lubrication. Your claim has been rejected."

Very disappointed in a lawnmower you spend a lot of money on that is supposed to be reliable that can not even withstand more than 3.5 month. This is not my first lawnmower. Basically put gas in the gas tank and add oil in the oil tank and check oil level on the dipstick indication. Briggs and Stratton just want customer pay for repairs. I never had a problem like this with any of my previous mowers. Pay to send their faculty engine. I will never buy Briggs and Stratton product. They always find some way let customer pay for. I asked explanation. Didn't get response.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

21 h.p. Platinum engine on Sears YT3000 lawn tractor. What a piece of junk!!! The engine is only a couple of years old and I've kept up with ALL the maintenance requirements to a fault. One day it decided to start billowing out white smoke, blown head gasket. Ok. Had it repaired. Taking off the valve cover, gas POURED out. Apparently the NIKKI carb can leak gas through the system while it is shut off!! So I had to have a gas shut off valve installed. NOW the dang thing won't start, it only grunts but won't turnover. Apparently there is too much pressure in the cylinder because the cam shaft pressure release is not working. Major repair. I quit!!! Why is this company allowed to exist!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Back in 2013 or 2014 I bought a Cyclone Rack with a Briggs engine on it. 2 years ago had to replace breather tub on it and is busted again. Now I have to replace carb on it. All the numbers I have gotten off of it none of them work. Diagrams that you find don't list all parts in pics. All pics are so faded you can't hardly read. Parts strip out easy. Have had to have helicoil put in for a bolt. Will never buy anything with Briggs engine again.

Original review: June 23, 2019

My family has a 6.5hp on a Snapper push mower, and 3 nearly identical, 5hp, cast iron sleeve, horizontal shaft Briggs on a woodsplitter, generator, and tiller. The mower was purchased new in 2008 and the others are late 80's models bought used. You should expect to have the carburetor replaced/rebuilt at some point. Annual oil changes are a must. I keep fuel stabilizer in everything to prevent ethanol from gumming up. Parts are cheap and maintenance is easy. I would recommend these engines to anyone.

Briggs and Stratton expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Briggs and Stratton Corporation creates the engines used in many riding lawn mowers.

• Industry leading engine: More than a dozen riding lawn mower companies put this engine in their equipment.

• Replacement parts: Briggs and Stratton engine parts are available directly from the company.

• Durability: The engine's design focuses on high durability.

• Consistent starts: Briggs and Stratton engines have reliable and consistent starts.

• Wide power range: The company creates small engines for basic riding mowers up to commercial grade equipment.

• Best for: Riding mower owners replacing or upgrading their current engine.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs