1.29/5

159 Briggs and Stratton Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 14, 2019

Most people expect to do nothing to their lawn mower but start it and cut the grass. If you use ethanol gasoline you MUST USE FUEL STABILIZER to combat the negative effects of the ethanol in fuel. My last Toro push mower with Briggs and Stratton engine lasted 19 years, absolutely NO ISSUES. Annual oil change, spark plug change, sharpen blade and always added fuel stabilizer to my gasoline supply can. Read online effects of ethanol in fuel, fuel goes bad 30-60 days, use fuel stabilizer good for at least one year. I have two lawn mowers both Toro with Briggs and Stratton engines, after sitting 6 months this winter in outside shed, started on first or second pull. Lazy owners who DO NOT perform annual maintenance OR have a mower shop repair the annual maintenance is usually the main issues with poor mower performance. Buy American, Briggs and Stratton is the best quality.

Original review: May 11, 2019

A relative bought me a new push mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine about 4 years ago. Almost immediately gas was leaking from one of the small tubes on the engine. I used it that summer a few times but mostly used my older Honda push mower. The next summer I used the B&S mower a few times and then it wouldn't even start, even with the automatic starter on the mower. I took it to a guy that worked on lawn mowers and he couldn't figure out what was wrong. After that, I took out my Honda push mower-that I purchased new in 1996 and it started on the FIRST pull. The Honda that is now 23 years old, and that I am still using in May 2019, with nothing ever changed on it except for the spark plug. While the almost new Briggs & Stratton piece of ** won't even start! Briggs & Stratton, you are Pathetic!!

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Bought a Poulan Pro lawn mower about a year ago equipped with a Briggs & Stratton Series 500E engine. It performed as expected the first couple of times I used it then took a turn for the worse. It began "smoking" from the area of the air cleaner and seemed to lack power. This problem continued to get worse where the engine "quit". The air filter was VERY saturated with oil. I ended up throwing it away. The engine appears to have "blown up" after no more than 8-10 hours of use! I couldn't believe it! Once upon a time Briggs and Stratton was an "icon" in small engines but it doesn't appear to be that way anymore. My advice is to anyone purchasing equipment with a small engine, shop for anything WITHOUT a Briggs and Stratton engine.

Original review: April 20, 2019

This mower has no wheel adjusters to set how high or low you want to mow. It worked great but for only 1 season. The following spring it would not start at all. It is junk. Do not buy it. It is worthless.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I bought a Toro 22” recycle mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine in it 3 years ago. Was the worst mistake I ever made. I had to replace the carburetor 3 times because it was made of cheap plastic which could not be adjusted and they kept breaking down. The mechanic could not just clean it out and adjust it, it had to be replaced. The mower kept losing power and sounding very sick every time I used it even after replacing the carburetor. I was only cutting small patches of lawn that my riding mower couldn’t reach. I never had a problem like this with any of my previous mowers.

This year when I took it in to have it serviced for the beginning of the season. My mechanic called me and said the engine had no “juice” and there was nothing he could do to fix it. Now I had to buy another mower after only 3 seasons! When I called Briggs and Stratton customer service the manager Jeff told me he’d look into what they might be able to do for me and promised to call back in 24 hrs but of course when I hadn’t heard from him in over a week I called back. Of course he claimed he was just going to call me... He said there was little they could do for me unless I sent the engine to them and even then there was no guarantee.

Seriously that is your customer service...make the consumer pay to send you their faulty engine even though my mechanic who was certified by Briggs and Stratton to work on their engine said it was dead. Then when I asked for a corporate number he couldn’t give me one because supposedly even they don’t have a direct line. Sounds pretty fishy to me. My suggestion to anyone looking for a new lawnmower... DO NOT buy anyone that has a Briggs and Stratton engine in it because they are garbage and the company doesn’t stand behind its product!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Briggs and Stratton?

Original review: March 20, 2019

I bought a Toro model 20339 mower from Home Depot in March 2018. I should have looked at the one-star reviews more carefully because apparently a lot of people had issues with the engine in this model. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton (of course) and it stopped working after only about 5 months of use in August 2018. I took it to a Service Center and was told that a "rod broke through the engine block due to a lack of lubrication." The "lack of lubrication" is completely untrue. I put in enough oil to the required markings on the dipstick and checked frequently. (I have been mowing lawns for 30 years so I know what I am doing.) Anyway, Briggs and Stratton is not honoring their warranty for their defective product claiming that the consumer is at fault. (How convenient for them.) As difficult as it is, I will never buy another Toro, nor any other product that has a Briggs and Stratton engine. (Even though they pretty much have a monopoly.) Sigh.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I bought this can a couple of years ago and carried, perhaps, 10 cans of fuel. The spout dripped fuel whenever the can was used. The vapor reduction mechanism nearly required a second person to help open the mechanism so that the fuel would flow. Holding that spout open to dispense fuel requires it to be jammed against something in the receiving fuel spout while supporting at least part of the weight of the can. That pressure is enough to cause the spout to disconnect from the can spilling more fuel.

Thus, this silly, cheap plastic mechanism to reduce the escape of fumes is much more likely to be responsible for a major fuel spill. In this case, the spill ruined a $130 pair of New Balance 840 shoes. This can sells for about $16.00 but is worthless, much less. Let me say that more clearly, it's worthless. This piece of crappy plastic must be a source of great pride to the engineers that designed it. If designing crummy fuel cans loses it appeal, you can always move on to plastic flatware.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

My one year old Briggs 500e mower failed to start. I did some research and discovered that the carb has a design flaw, the fuel jet is too small and clogs. It is entirely made of plastic and is inferior. The company blames everyone from the EPA to the oil companies and refuses to take responsibility. Do not buy their motors, the company is not standing behind their products.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I purchased a Briggs and Stratton single stage snow blower last fall 2018. Not even through this winter season and the product has failed. I tried to Contact them for warranty repairs, and it has been such a nightmare that I've given up trying. I called a repair shop and found out the part number I needed to do the repair myself. This company sells an inferior product and then makes it so difficult to get things resolved in a timely manner. Huge regret, wish I would have done more research before purchasing. Hope this helps someone else from making the same mistake.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Bought a Victa self-propelled lawnmower in New Zealand which is a company owned by Briggs and Stratton. The mower has a fairly high price tag and is sold in NZ with a 4-year warranty. Some repair needed to be done: clutch cable had snapped and engine rattled. The mower had done about 15 hours of work in the 2 years I had it. Initially I was asked the full cost of repair about $200.00 and after querying the bill it was reduced to $68.00. I should not have had to pay anything as no maintenance or service was performed during the repair work. I bought another mower now and will try to sell my lemon as I am expecting the clutch cable to snap again after 15 hours running time.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Bought a Woodlands Sawmill with Briggs and Stratton engine. After five hours it started running erratic. I have to pay for services since their warranty doesn't cover carburetor. After ten hours, using high grade gas, malfunction is back. I'm buying a new not B&S carburetor. Eventually I may have to buy an engine and it won't be B&S. I don't trust it.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Bought a Yard Machine from Lowe's. It worked once, then never worked again, despite troubleshooting. Took it back and got a replacement. The replacement wouldn't even start out of the box, even though I was meticulous in following the instructions. Once again, went through troubleshooting to no avail. Will never buy another Briggs and Stratton.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I bought a Toro lawnmower with a Briggs and Stratton engine at the end of May 2018 from Home Depot. It was a big purchase for me since this mower cost almost $400. I brought it home unpacked and assembled as directed in the owner’s manual. I was able to use this mower 4-5 times in my 2000 sq ft yard and it appeared to do a good job, however the last time I used the mower I was halfway done with my lawn, and the motor let out a loud snap and then stopped working. I did not run over anything, so I was not sure what had happened. I called Toro and explained the situation and I was instructed to bring the mower to an authorized dealer, so they can find out what was wrong with my 2-month-old mower.

I dropped off the mower in August 2018 and this is when the waiting game came into play, When I dropped it off at the repair company (Taft Equipment) I was told I would hear back from them within a week, so I patiently waited, when I didn’t hear back from them in the timeframe I was told I called to follow up on the issue (2 wks later). I was told that the motor was blown because the oil was low and there was a bolt broken inside the motor. I explained to the repairman that I did everything instructed such as adding the oil when I unpackaged the mower. The repair guy stated he would submit the warranty claim to B&S and we would have to wait on their response.

An additional 2 wks go by and I didn’t hear back from the repair shop, so I called them, and I was told they were still waiting to hear back from B&S and they were going to follow-up and get back to me. 1 wk later I received a call and my warranty claim was denied by B&S because the issue that occurred with my mower was not covered. I was instructed that I could dispute the claim, but it would come out of my pocket if I shipped the motor to B&S.

At this point I’m already into the piece of junk for around $500 because I have to pay the repair shop for their services since the claim was denied. Despite all the proper maintenance, the engine will not start. There is no excuse for a B&S engine with 4 hours of run time to fail other than the engine was defective. I know I will NEVER purchase or recommend any products with a B&S engine in the future. I wish I would have checked the reviews prior to buying this mower. Now I'm SOL. Thanks B&S.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Bought a brand new lawn mower (Yard Machine). Took forever to get it starting right out of the box. The first could times I actually did get it to start it took forever. Now, the 3rd time I am using it, it won't even start. Followed all directions but apparently (and according to other reviews I read) this company makes garbage products. Should have read the reviews before I bought it, hopefully you are seeing this prior to your purchase. Stay away.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

18 months ago I bought a lawnmower fitted with the B&S 415e engine. This year it does nothing but surge continually. The carburetor has been deep cleaned three times, to no avail. Two local authorized dealers have said that the carburetor is basically crap and is now regarded as a consumable, like a spark plug. I'll fit a new carb, sell the machine as soon as I can and avoid Briggs and Stratton forevermore.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

The lawn mower is a piece of junk. First of all it burned oil and engine froze up not allow it to start. I added oil to it and getting motor to start. Then today I went use it. Oil was leaking and it started blowing white smoke out of engine rendering is a piece of metal of junk. The head gasket also broke.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

We recently bought a NEW Briggs & Stratton lawnmower at Home Depot because we only have about 24 square feet of grass to cut as we live at the coast. We have used this mower 3 times, keep it in the garage and not out in the elements, and it no longer starts. We took it to a repairman to see if it could be fixed. We were told the carburetor is completely plastic and cheaply made and that it would cost $180 to replace it to get the mower running again. The mower only cost $150 brand new. I called the company and was given a ridiculous story about how they have made the carburetor smaller to conserve fuel use and now the plastic tubes that feed the fuel can easily get clogged and that it's not covered under the warranty... Surprise! So, basically they don't intend to do a thing. Moral of this story, don't EVER by a BRIGGS & STRATTON product if you actually expect it to work.

Original review: July 16, 2018

We had a previous Briggs and Stratton power washer for approx. 8 years. Used it only about 2 times per year. Wouldn’t start this year so found out pump needed replaced. Instead of replacing the pump we went to Lowe's and purchased a Troy-Bilt. After bringing it home and it not staying running we returned it to find out that the gas line was leaking. We leave approx 30 miles from the nearest Lowe's. I also wasted two weekends trying to power wash our house. I have gas and oil all over my deck. After contacting Troy Bilt, was told Briggs and Stratton makes the power washer and called them for some kind of apology or compensation. Was told they couldn’t do anything about it. We spent over $500 and hours of aggravation on this piece of equipment for nothing. Hopefully when we put the new one together it will run. The customer service at Briggs and Stratton is horrible.

Original review: July 11, 2018

540CC Platinum Series Head Gasket Problem - I purchased a Craftsman 42" Zero Turn lawn mower in 2012. Figured given Sears had been in the business forever that they knew who to source quality mowers from, guess not. I just finished getting back my mower after its second blown head gasket. I live in Canada, how many times do you think I cut my grass but after 3 years the first one went - $550 plus tax. Now last week it went again, another $550 plus tax. This is totally on the back of Briggs and Stratton. The tech repairing the gasket said the probable cause is the distance between bolts holding down the head - poor design. Can't sell it, Sears is out of business, who's going to buy it. Guess I need to start saving for the next one, gasket that is.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I was a firm believer in B&S 500e engines. Never had a problem for the last 30 years until I bought a new B&S equipped lawn mower and a B&S equipped edger last year. The lawnmower will start but fails to restart if the engine is warm. I have to let it set for several hours. The edger stopped starting after 2 times, with new fuel in it. I tried to winterize it but it wouldn't start so I emptied the gas and put it away for the winter. This spring I spent time on it trying every trick I knew. It would only start after I put a teaspoon of gas directly into the cylinder then stopped after the gas ran out. I took it to a 'certified' B&S dealer who told me that it's not under warranty because the gasket dissolved and that was my fault. Bad gas, etc. BS is right. Never again. This series of engines should be recalled. There are obvious issues with it.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I purchased the first rider lawn mower from Sears, had a Briggs 19HP, it did not even make it to the garage before backfiring bucking and dying. Every time I started it, it would idle, but no driving. Took it back to Sears, the guy there says, "Oh it may have old gas from the factory, and the carb needs repair"... NOT me so I left it there, went to Home Depot, picked up another tractor, again with the 19HP... Took it out for a drive for a teaching run on pavement. Then to my 2 ac. lot. About 45 minutes later. It goes into a frenzy, no idle at all just full speed ahead. Last Briggs here.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Had trouble with mower from the day I bought it. Won't start most of the time and when it does start and I stop to empty bag won't start again maybe the next day. Bag doesn't fit properly. Drain plug broke the first time I used it. The wheel adjusters broke. Grass gathers under mower. Should be a recall or maybe I got a lemon. Had mower about 4 years but I had a lawn man so I didn't use it often.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I've got two separate issues with two separate pieces of equipment. I bought a Yard Machines push mower three years ago after building my house. It worked perfectly the first summer/fall but I could not get the thing started at all the next two years. Last year as a last resort before throwing it away, I sprayed starter fluid into the filter intake. Surprisingly I finally got the thing started. I had to do this every time I wanted to use it. This Spring I tried to do the same thing and that won't even help.

Two years ago I bought a Troy Bilt pressure washer with the B&S engine. It worked fine the first year, but after bringing it out this past week to use it, I couldn't get it started. Even spraying starter fluid into the air intake wouldn't help. I firmly believe Briggs and Stratton engines are complete garbage. It took me a $700 lesson to learn this. I would highly recommend staying away from anything made by this company. A once great company has now been reduced to cheaply built crap with terrible customer service. Avoid at all costs!

Original review: May 17, 2018

Growing up I used to mow the yard with a B&S lawn mower. That thing was a tank and I abused it. It lasted almost 25 years without too much trouble. Bought a mower from Lowe's and it ran fine for a couple months. Prepped it for winter and wouldn't start next summer. Water in the gas was to blame according to the repair guy (used same gas after waiting three weeks and it ran fine.) Third summer now here and will not start again. Can put a little gas in the fuel/air filter and it will run till the filter dries out. Won't start without doing so and once the filter is dry stops running. What the ** happened to good quality small engines?

Original review: May 11, 2018

I bought this Murray lawnmower with Briggs & Stratton engine June 27th of last year. It was a big purchase for me, I wanted a self propelled this time so spent a lot more than I did ten years ago for $89. Because of this I empty out the gas and oil which I have NEVER done in the past. I put in fresh gas oil and new spark plug and it refuses to start. I called 2 dealers stating bad compression (since I could not call Briggs & Stratton from my cell phone the phone tree would not go thru no matter what I pushed) as my mechanic told me. They basically told me $35 to even look at it and pretty much I would be blamed and have to pay over a hundred dollars to fix it.

Being a single parent I thought no way this is crazy less than a year old. So I emailed the company and got a very quick response again blaming me. So now I am stuck with a piece of crap mower that does not work after less than a year. DO NOT BUY. They will not fix under warranty because it is always your fault no matter what you do.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I bought a Snapper self propelled, three hundred dollar mower with a B&S fresh start engine from Walmart last summer. I used it maybe six times and properly winterized it. I ran it with non-ethanol gas and drained the oil. I tried, tried and tried to start it with new oil, fresh ethanol free gas this morning. It had a catastrophic encounter with my splitting maul and has been delivered to AIM metal recycling in Bangor, ME. I will never own a BS powered anything ever again. Absolute garbage!!!

Original review: May 7, 2018

I too am one of the suckers that purchased a mower at the end of the season last year. Used it 3 times and put it away for winter. I have had many mowers over the years and they ran well, like Craftsman and Huskee mowers. This Briggs and Stratton Brute mower is nothing but garbage. They cut corners on the parts and almost everything on it is plastic. The cost was $279. I bought it at the a local Menards, who refused to let me bring it back. Obviously they know it's trash too.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I had always trusted B&S small mower engines to be reliable. In fact, I had a Quantum engine work well for about 17 years with NO major problems. Then, I had to replace that mower & bought a Murray mower with a B&S 125cc engine from the Walmart website, fully expecting similar quality & not bothering to check CURRENT reviews of B&S engines. BAD MISTAKE on my part. First off, the new B&S engine's oil port is inaccessible to pour the oil in without a funnel with a long extension hose because the oil port is squarely under & blocked by the engine housing. Next, since there is no drain plug underneath, the instructions say that you have to turn the mower upside down to drain the oil out the same oil port that you used to put it in, being careful not to flood the engine with gas while doing that.

WORST OF ALL, AFTER LESS THAN 9 HOURS OF USE AND PROPER STORAGE, THE THING WILL NOT START. This is the same complaint throughout the complaint websites that MANY users describe. B&S currently makes a shoddy, poor quality engine. I hope future potential customers are smarter than me and read these reviews BEFORE they spend good money on this PIECE OF JUNK.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Had a new Vanguard engine install in spring of 2015 by Mayo Garden Center. They are scag dealer. In Dec of 2018 engine started to blow smoke and leak oil from rear of engine. Mayo told me engine was shot. After sending engine and pics to Briggs they told me engine would not be covered under warranty even though Mayo Garden Center believed it was workmanship problem. Don't understand why Briggs puts a 3 year warranty on a commercial product but won't stand behind it. Beware if you are going to purchase a commercial mower. See what engines are available.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Briggs & Stratton or just pain BS makes a cheap poorly manufactured gasoline engine for a number of vendors that are looking for a quick profit by using cheap second rate parts. A perfect example is a Troy-Bilt branded pressure washer I purchased from Lowe's. Despite all proper maintenance, the engine will not start. Sure B&S will pay to have it repaired as long as I go out of my way to take it some obscure repair shop. Insulting as that is, there is no excuse for a B&S engine with maybe ten minutes of run time to fail to start, other than the engine was built from inferior parts likely imported from some sweatshop in China. I know I will not purchase any product with a B&S engine in the future.

Briggs and Stratton expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Briggs and Stratton Corporation creates the engines used in many riding lawn mowers.

• Industry leading engine: More than a dozen riding lawn mower companies put this engine in their equipment.

• Replacement parts: Briggs and Stratton engine parts are available directly from the company.

• Durability: The engine's design focuses on high durability.

• Consistent starts: Briggs and Stratton engines have reliable and consistent starts.

• Wide power range: The company creates small engines for basic riding mowers up to commercial grade equipment.

• Best for: Riding mower owners replacing or upgrading their current engine.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs