2. Homeowners

Find deals on a new lawn mower

Shop and compare today on Cub Cadet

Visit Website

Briggs and Stratton Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Briggs and Stratton?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Briggs and Stratton?

Resolution response: June 10, 2020

My error. Briggs and Stratton was not a part of my dissatisfaction with my TORO zero turn mower.

Original review: June 10, 2020

Purchased a Toro zero turn with a BRIGGS and Stratton 24hp motor. I have a level 7500 square foot lot that I cut frequently and still only have 30 hours on a 3-year-old mower. The mower is kept in a shed and not exposed to the elements. Recently the Briggs engine started smoking with a strong odor of unburnt gas. Had it taken in for repairs (about a month before the 3 yr warranty expires). After disassembly, the repair shop said the cylinders were rusted.(?) To my knowledge I've never used a high content ethanol gas. Toro and Briggs rejected a warranty claim saying the water in the ethanol rotted the cylinders. My $4000 zero turn now needs a $2000 repair. The guys I work with laughed when I told them I bought a Toro mower and laughed harder when I said it had a Briggs and Stratton motor on it.

Original review: June 9, 2020

Craftsman Lawn tractor 21hp Briggs & Stratton Single cylinder Blown engine rod went through block. Terrible Engine. Only used the tractor 6 times. Bought brand new. What a disappointment. They need a recall on this garbage!

Get buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
      Original review: May 2, 2020

Long story short, a mower I bought in the fall is 100% dead come spring. I took proper care and maintenance and the end of the lawn season. It is junk. Went and bought another, but not a Briggs & Stratton.

Original review: April 11, 2020

I have a 21 HP single cylinder Briggs and cut half acre it's a pretty steep slope at least 2 times a week plus some other peoples yards I do and it's going on 11. Not a single issue with it. Runs like the day it was bought and my lawn mowers have Briggs on them too. Never had issues so I dont see why all you are having issues. You must not maintain them properly. My neighbor had a mower he bought 12 years ago. Used and never changed the oil and it's still running today. I wouldnt own any other than a Briggs.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

I bought this mower from "brandnewengines.com" on March 20th, 2019 with my understanding it had a 2 year warranty. In the fall the mower started running very rough (chocking). I contact brandnewengine's about where to take it for warranty work. They said "Ball Equipment in Parkville, Mo. was the closest Simplicity authorized deal". In early December 2019 I took it to Ball Power Equipment. When I told them the problem they said it should be covered by my warranty. In early January they finally called saying my mower was ready and the bill was $500+ dollars. When I asked why it was not covered by warranty the girl said she didn't know and the owner "Mr. **" would call me probably the next day.

After 3 days Mr. ** called and said the spindles that he replaced were ruined because they had no grease in them. Impossible- the mower was fully serviced by brandnew engines before delivery and I greased it several times in the 9 months I used (the manual only calls for lubrication once a year (12 months). He said the fuel pump was ruined by me running ethanol fuel in it (manual say up to 10% is safe). He also said blade needed replaced. So I contacted simplicity about the warranty work. A man (Ron ?) Called me and said he talked to Mr ** and that he told him the spindles were ruined by me hitting something (changed the story sounded better I guess) and that I was should be running additive to the fuel to counteract the ethanol (in my manual the only time it says anything about adding additives to the fuel is storage).

It was obvious from the beginning Ball's was not happy about doing warranty work on a mower he didn’t sell. He was asking where I bought the mower and why (HE said probably to avoid paying taxes on it). He was rude and bound to find a way to charge me. Ron from simplicity was no help (I was wrong; dealer was right). The reason I bought the m mower was knowing I would be covered for 2 years. But I see now how you stand behind your product. I will not recommend your product to anyone. Ed **. p.s. The only work I authorised was the carburetor problem. Model# 2691318-00

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

I bought a Toro mover with a B & S engine. I don't use it a lot so I use fuel stabilizer. Guess what? After 6 months it won't start! Called a dealer as HD does nothing. All they had to say was: "Your fuel is old, you didn't use a stabilizer, might have a carburetor issues etc etc. Bring it in!" So I guess this means I have to repair this POS (piece of **) every 6 months. Ridiculous! My handy friend couldn't get it going either.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

Have a one year old Simplicity Courier zero turn with this engine that does not like to start in cold weather. SUPPOSEDLY Briggs & Stratton and its ReadyStart system should make it as easy as a car, but every car I've ever owned starts easier than this thing in the cold. I can get no answers from B & S or Simplicity about solving the problem other than to take it to a 'warranty center' - but they don't tell me where one is or how I'm supposed to get it there. Useless support.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

If it was possible to give no stars I would do so. They have the worst customer service, I was on hold for 30 minutes until I decided to call from another line and then they answered. Supervisor talked over me while I was trying to speak and was not trying to do anything to help the situation. They were an actual headache! I hate this company with a passion and I hope they go out of business.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

2 months past warranty. The engine on my 2017 mower is junk and yes I take great care of all my engines. Changing oil is cheap. This engine has had 3 oil changes in 25 hours. No reason to crap out other than a decompressor that would not have to be there if they could put on a good starter. This was engineered to fail. They should be ashamed of this.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I bought a Snapper XD electric mower, but it's a Briggs and Stratton product and comes with a manual with their name on it. One of the two 82V batteries that came with the mower would not fully charge on the initial charge and never would on subsequent charges. According to the manual, it is charging to 60-80% of capacity. It runs the mower about 25% less time than the "good" battery that came with it. I've now called B&S 3 times. The first two times, I was encouraged to use the battery a few times and recharge it, to see if it would become normal. It hasn't. I called today, expecting them to send me a new battery. The service rep said that his supervisor said that my faulty battery is performing better than their minimum standards and they're not going to replace it. Thanks a lot!

Briggs and Stratton author review by ConsumerAffairs

Briggs and Stratton Corporation creates the engines used in many riding lawn mowers.

• Industry leading engine: More than a dozen riding lawn mower companies put this engine in their equipment.

• Replacement parts: Briggs and Stratton engine parts are available directly from the company.

• Durability: The engine's design focuses on high durability.

• Consistent starts: Briggs and Stratton engines have reliable and consistent starts.

• Wide power range: The company creates small engines for basic riding mowers up to commercial grade equipment.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team