1.31/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Quit paying for costly home repairs

163 Briggs and Stratton Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I bought a Toro 20339 model lawnmower from Home Depot. It made with Briggs and Stratton Engine. After 3.5 month it won't start. I took it to Power Zone for repair, dealer send claim to them but they request dealer sent the broken engine to them. One weeks later I received email from them. Said, "Failure due to lubrication. Your claim has been rejected."

Very disappointed in a lawnmower you spend a lot of money on that is supposed to be reliable that can not even withstand more than 3.5 month. This is not my first lawnmower. Basically put gas in the gas tank and add oil in the oil tank and check oil level on the dipstick indication. Briggs and Stratton just want customer pay for repairs. I never had a problem like this with any of my previous mowers. Pay to send their faculty engine. I will never buy Briggs and Stratton product. They always find some way let customer pay for. I asked explanation. Didn't get response.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

21 h.p. Platinum engine on Sears YT3000 lawn tractor. What a piece of junk!!! The engine is only a couple of years old and I've kept up with ALL the maintenance requirements to a fault. One day it decided to start billowing out white smoke, blown head gasket. Ok. Had it repaired. Taking off the valve cover, gas POURED out. Apparently the NIKKI carb can leak gas through the system while it is shut off!! So I had to have a gas shut off valve installed. NOW the dang thing won't start, it only grunts but won't turnover. Apparently there is too much pressure in the cylinder because the cam shaft pressure release is not working. Major repair. I quit!!! Why is this company allowed to exist!!

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Back in 2013 or 2014 I bought a Cyclone Rack with a Briggs engine on it. 2 years ago had to replace breather tub on it and is busted again. Now I have to replace carb on it. All the numbers I have gotten off of it none of them work. Diagrams that you find don't list all parts in pics. All pics are so faded you can't hardly read. Parts strip out easy. Have had to have helicoil put in for a bolt. Will never buy anything with Briggs engine again.

Original review: June 23, 2019

My family has a 6.5hp on a Snapper push mower, and 3 nearly identical, 5hp, cast iron sleeve, horizontal shaft Briggs on a woodsplitter, generator, and tiller. The mower was purchased new in 2008 and the others are late 80's models bought used. You should expect to have the carburetor replaced/rebuilt at some point. Annual oil changes are a must. I keep fuel stabilizer in everything to prevent ethanol from gumming up. Parts are cheap and maintenance is easy. I would recommend these engines to anyone.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Most people expect to do nothing to their lawn mower but start it and cut the grass. If you use ethanol gasoline you MUST USE FUEL STABILIZER to combat the negative effects of the ethanol in fuel. My last Toro push mower with Briggs and Stratton engine lasted 19 years, absolutely NO ISSUES. Annual oil change, spark plug change, sharpen blade and always added fuel stabilizer to my gasoline supply can. Read online effects of ethanol in fuel, fuel goes bad 30-60 days, use fuel stabilizer good for at least one year. I have two lawn mowers both Toro with Briggs and Stratton engines, after sitting 6 months this winter in outside shed, started on first or second pull. Lazy owners who DO NOT perform annual maintenance OR have a mower shop repair the annual maintenance is usually the main issues with poor mower performance. Buy American, Briggs and Stratton is the best quality.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Briggs and Stratton?

Original review: May 11, 2019

A relative bought me a new push mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine about 4 years ago. Almost immediately gas was leaking from one of the small tubes on the engine. I used it that summer a few times but mostly used my older Honda push mower. The next summer I used the B&S mower a few times and then it wouldn't even start, even with the automatic starter on the mower. I took it to a guy that worked on lawn mowers and he couldn't figure out what was wrong. After that, I took out my Honda push mower-that I purchased new in 1996 and it started on the FIRST pull. The Honda that is now 23 years old, and that I am still using in May 2019, with nothing ever changed on it except for the spark plug. While the almost new Briggs & Stratton piece of ** won't even start! Briggs & Stratton, you are Pathetic!!

Original review: May 7, 2019

Bought a Poulan Pro lawn mower about a year ago equipped with a Briggs & Stratton Series 500E engine. It performed as expected the first couple of times I used it then took a turn for the worse. It began "smoking" from the area of the air cleaner and seemed to lack power. This problem continued to get worse where the engine "quit". The air filter was VERY saturated with oil. I ended up throwing it away. The engine appears to have "blown up" after no more than 8-10 hours of use! I couldn't believe it! Once upon a time Briggs and Stratton was an "icon" in small engines but it doesn't appear to be that way anymore. My advice is to anyone purchasing equipment with a small engine, shop for anything WITHOUT a Briggs and Stratton engine.

Original review: April 20, 2019

This mower has no wheel adjusters to set how high or low you want to mow. It worked great but for only 1 season. The following spring it would not start at all. It is junk. Do not buy it. It is worthless.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I bought a Toro 22” recycle mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine in it 3 years ago. Was the worst mistake I ever made. I had to replace the carburetor 3 times because it was made of cheap plastic which could not be adjusted and they kept breaking down. The mechanic could not just clean it out and adjust it, it had to be replaced. The mower kept losing power and sounding very sick every time I used it even after replacing the carburetor. I was only cutting small patches of lawn that my riding mower couldn’t reach. I never had a problem like this with any of my previous mowers.

This year when I took it in to have it serviced for the beginning of the season. My mechanic called me and said the engine had no “juice” and there was nothing he could do to fix it. Now I had to buy another mower after only 3 seasons! When I called Briggs and Stratton customer service the manager Jeff told me he’d look into what they might be able to do for me and promised to call back in 24 hrs but of course when I hadn’t heard from him in over a week I called back. Of course he claimed he was just going to call me... He said there was little they could do for me unless I sent the engine to them and even then there was no guarantee.

Seriously that is your customer service...make the consumer pay to send you their faulty engine even though my mechanic who was certified by Briggs and Stratton to work on their engine said it was dead. Then when I asked for a corporate number he couldn’t give me one because supposedly even they don’t have a direct line. Sounds pretty fishy to me. My suggestion to anyone looking for a new lawnmower... DO NOT buy anyone that has a Briggs and Stratton engine in it because they are garbage and the company doesn’t stand behind its product!!

Original review: March 20, 2019

I bought a Toro model 20339 mower from Home Depot in March 2018. I should have looked at the one-star reviews more carefully because apparently a lot of people had issues with the engine in this model. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton (of course) and it stopped working after only about 5 months of use in August 2018. I took it to a Service Center and was told that a "rod broke through the engine block due to a lack of lubrication." The "lack of lubrication" is completely untrue. I put in enough oil to the required markings on the dipstick and checked frequently. (I have been mowing lawns for 30 years so I know what I am doing.) Anyway, Briggs and Stratton is not honoring their warranty for their defective product claiming that the consumer is at fault. (How convenient for them.) As difficult as it is, I will never buy another Toro, nor any other product that has a Briggs and Stratton engine. (Even though they pretty much have a monopoly.) Sigh.

Briggs and Stratton expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Briggs and Stratton Corporation creates the engines used in many riding lawn mowers.

• Industry leading engine: More than a dozen riding lawn mower companies put this engine in their equipment.

• Replacement parts: Briggs and Stratton engine parts are available directly from the company.

• Durability: The engine's design focuses on high durability.

• Consistent starts: Briggs and Stratton engines have reliable and consistent starts.

• Wide power range: The company creates small engines for basic riding mowers up to commercial grade equipment.

• Best for: Riding mower owners replacing or upgrading their current engine.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs