3.37/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Total Home Protection

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Total Home Protection strives to be the best in the home warranty industry. We have products and services that provide fast and efficient solutions. Total Home Protection promises to go above and beyond to help you get back on your feet. THP offers two plans for you to choose from that work with your budget. Regardless of age, make or model, we will cover repair or replace your covered items. Our technicians are licensed, pre-screened and insured to take care of your replacement or repair. Visit our website today for a free quote!

Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 18, 2017

151 Total Home Protection Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I have been deceived and will consult an attorney. Contact me after 12:00 any day. Noon. I am contacting the BBB and our company attorneys. The representative DID NOT listen to me! I can't wait to talk to someone who represents your company. I was ignored and it has caused me unwarranted grief.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

When the sales called me on cell phone I felt a little rushed on the decision. I told Marc I wanted to check reviews on company. He stated he could give me a good deal but I had to sign up right then. So I did, then they took the whole year out on cost when I wanted monthly. I was told I would see refund by tomorrow. I wanted to cancel and the girl that was helping me made me feel like I was making the biggest mistake ever. For me I just felt pushed into something I wanted to check out. Sales guy was nice but after signing up and wanting to talk to someone I was on hold for 20 min. Not good in my opinion.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Total Home Protection and its field reps were very deceptive, unprofessional, and unreliable. Sales reps flat out lie to get your business. I have a recording of a sales rep telling me that rust and normal wear and tear is covered, however a couple of months, after I signed up with the company, a customer service representative stated that rust and normal wear and tear are not covered. In essence my claim to have my A/C was denied. I had a home warranty but had to invest in window units and a hotel room due to the fact that I could not afford to pay for a new unit, which I thought would be covered under my home warranty.

A field rep that came to my home stated that the company probably would not replace my unit because they have not "gotten enough money out of me yet". I believe he said this in confidence, however I took that comment very personally. This organization needs to be held accountable for its deceptive, bad faith insurance practices.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Worst company ever. Their book and contracts say certain things were covered. Had a leak in my evap coil on ac. They sent a techinician out and verified the leak. Never heard back from that tech. They scheduled another tech from another company a week later, called and said he was coming and never showed up. They sent a third one out who verified the leak and then never heard back. The last one came out and charged us $150 to verify the leak and filed the paperwork. A week later warranty company called and denied the claim. Talked to 3 different people at the company who all 3 gave me different stories on why the claim was denied. They find any way to keep your money and not follow through with what they advertise - stay far away from this company.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Their own advertisement states "Coverage for breakdown due to normal wear and tear" yet, when our house was struck by lightning it took over 2 months to get one of their electricians to our house, then they denied the claim he submitted within minutes. Their claim? That running new wires was not covered... WHAT?? From the reviews I've read, it seems they find any reason they can to deny a claim. I am seeking compensation for my premiums paid to date and am cancelling this contract ASAP. Waiting on a call from them now. Would not recommend them to my worst enemy... well, maybe my worst enemy...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I purchased a home warranty from this company effective 4/22/17 to 6/3/18. In June 2017 I had problems with my AC unit, it was not getting cold. I reported this to Total Home Protection. They dispatched a tech form Pacific Air and Heating. The technician put in Freon so I could have some cooling for the meantime but said that the system needed to be replaced. It could not be repaired and he reported that to THP. THP told Pacific Heat and Air to go back out and inspect the ductwork, and the tech did and reported that he did and system needed to be replaced. THP again told the tech to go back out and do a leak test, but the tech refused stating that he did all he could and that the system was not fixable and recommended replacement and reported to me that he will no longer be working with THP because they did not pay him. I called THP and told them that according to their contract, if they could not fix it they are to replace the system.

They looked up replacement cost leading me to believe they were going to stand by their contractual agreement - but only made more excuses. I realized that THP was not going to stand behind their agreement so I canceled my contract. They tried to talk me out of it, hung up on me, argued with me, would not give me information on their corporate office, would not transfer me to a Manager. I called at least 15 times between July 25th and October 2017. I also faxed my cancellation request in writing. I called again on 9/24/17 asking why I did not get my refund of $226.75 - they said they sent the check but would not tell me the check number, the bank it was issued on or when they sent it. They said they would reissue another check and I would get it in 5-7 days. I contacted the Company via their website asking again for my refund on 10/06/17.

On October 9th 2017 someone called stating they were from Retention and to call them back. I am no longer calling I am only responding in writing. I believe they are a fraudulent Company. Although I chose refund, I want two items. First, due to the fact that THP refused to honor their own agreement prior to cancellation, I want my AC replacement cost. Second, I want my prorated refund of $226.75. I ask for both because they not only did not honor their agreement while I was covered, they also have no intentions of giving me my prorated refund. My consumer and civil rights have been violated. I believe this company is fraudulent. I have reported this company to the Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau in hopes of seeking restitution.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I enjoyed working with Henry. He was not pushy. He provided the information I needed to make a decision to become a Total Home Protection customer. He also gave me an option to add another property for six years. The price was good and I accepted.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Henry ** was very professional, helpful, and provided exceptional value. Thanks for the good service so far. Good first impression of the company. Will look to recommend your services to friends and associates. Will look forward to receiving the Agreement #s for my records.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I am very disappointed in this company. Since I signed up for your special six years I have not received my contract yet. I am calling your company and I will cancel this account with American Express since I have called twice to receive my written contract and I still have not received it in the mail.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I agreed to have the contract with Total Home Warranty on the phone August 22, 2017. September 29, 2017 I received the policy after I filed a claim 38 days later and it was denied. First, Mark, in Philadelphia, said it was in the first 30 days according to the policy. It had been 38 days. Since that did not work, the Mark, said it was a preexisting problem. The disposal had worked fine until the day before. I had to have the disposal replaced because it had a hole in it. It had to be replaced. Mark said that it had to be in good working condition. Even the plumber Wayne, from A-Direct Appliance Repair said the hole could have happened anytime.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

This company is a COMPLETE Joke... I paid $47 and change every month for this warranty. I had 2 appliances stop working during the warranty period. The first was my dishwasher. When I called the company it took a few days to get someone to call back. Then there wasn't a servicer in my area and they wanted me to pay for someone to come in and service. I advised I didn't have the money for that. That's why I purchased the Warranty. Long story short they ended up paying the servicer w/ a company credit card and I was back in business though it took about a week to complete.

When I called regarding my hot water heater it was a Frickin' NIGHTMARE to say the least. Again took 2 days to call me back. I had to contact them. They didn't have a servicer in my area once again and I refused to do the reimbursement situation. OMG did Poo hit the fan? I went back and forth w/ CS and Supervisors. I was lied to twice. Spoke to by CS and Supervisors like a dog while explaining why I couldn't do reimbursement because of being on disability. I was told by a supervisor to stop using the disabled card.

When EVERYTHING was said and done I was out of hot water for 6 days. I finally gave in and decided the ONLY way I was going to get this repaired is if I agree to the reimbursement. I was advised if it was more than $100 the company would have to give permission before anything could be repaired. I called the number they gave me, received a voicemail telling me to leave my info blah blah blah and they would call me back. Meanwhile the servicer is sitting here at $100 an hr doing NOTHING. I called CS and told them this guy is racking up a $100 an hr just sitting here waiting for approval!!! Long story short they weren't going to pay to have it fixed because the servicer advised us to replace it.

After arguing w/ these IDIOTS for 30 minutes or more they finally agreed to pay. He fixed it in 20 minutes and charged us 2 hours for labor because of the crappy way of business this company does. Cost over $300 to fix which is over half of our bi-weekly check which threw ALL of our bills way OFF!!! I was advised I would have reimbursement w/in 10 days... Meanwhile while waiting for my reimbursement I contacted the BBB complaining about the Warranty and the service I received. When I was asked how I wanted to take care of this I advised I wanted my June payment back and I no longer wanted to do business w/ this company. When I called the company after the 10 day period I was told the check had started to be printed but was stopped because I cancelled the Warranty!!! I flipped. I advised I was under Warranty when the appliance broke down that they couldn't hold my reimbursement!!!

The company left me 2 VMs saying they were offering me ALL the payments I gave them for their Warranty & my reimbursement. Via the BBB I agreed to the reimbursement for repair & monthly payments. The company acted like they never said they would give me checks for repair and monthly payments. I sent the BBB the VM the company left me as proof. The company wanted me to choose reimbursement or monthly payments. After months of back and forth re the BBB being the mediator I finally accepted the Repair check. Now that was a month ago and I haven't heard a word.

Tomorrow 10/2 I'll send a message to the BBB re the check. If I don't get this reimbursement check soon I'll be filing a small claims suit and will be asking for $10,000 in punitive damages plus court costs. They have left me no other choice because I REFUSE to allow this company to SCREW me over any longer. FYI this warranty will only cover $500 a year for your appliances. Now get this. The warranty itself is over $600 plus a year. They don't have servicers in your area. I asked the BBB how they can offer a warranty in my state and not have the tools to follow thru? It sounds like FRAUD... BE VERY AWARE OF THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I was just blessed with interaction for opening an account, and I could not be more pleased! Tim ** is the rep I spoke with, and it was like speaking with my son. He could not have been more pleasant or more helpful. We need more young people like him in this world!!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I have a policy with Total Home Protection Platinum. When I had an issue with my dishwasher I filed a claim and everything went smoothly! All I paid was my service call fee. The Tech was prompt and very professional. I was very happy with the customer service, response time and the overall fix of the unit.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I purchased a Warranty Policy in July 2017 from Total Home Protection. Late August the water dispenser on our refrigerator stopped working so I called Total Home Warranty to place a claim. They informed me that the dispenser was not covered. I explained that when I purchased the policy I was specific and listed all the appliances in our home and asked the sales representative if all would be covered, the sales representative confirmed all would be covered. He did NOT ask "did the refrigerator have a dispenser."

I believe this is fraud to sell me a warranty and lead me to believe that all the refrigerator was covered by the warranty and then say part of the refrigerator is NOT covered. The Purchase was done on the phone, so I relied on the Company's word. I requested to cancel my policy and get my money refunded. I was informed that they would cancel, prorate the refund and charge a $50 cancellation fee. I do not recommend this Total Home Protection and will pursue a stop this companies fraudulent practices through our legal system.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Do not buy this warranty. I have awful experience. Bought on May 31, 2017. File my first claim of plumbing to send a technician. Never authorized him for repairs even when they called me with approval claim. Was file on August 8. I canceled this warranty after finding they were liars on everything. When I call to canceled my policy after 3 months of having this says I'm just entitled to receive less than 500. I paid 1501.80, When you buy it they request in case of cancellation is a charge of 20.83 dollars for a prorated charge for each month you had it.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

Thanks a lot Tim for your help and explaining all the details and also getting us a good deal!!! :) As I suggested I would definitely refer your contact info. to my friends and have them refer my name so they can also get a very good deal...

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I had a home warranty system before and they sucked. Total Home Protection is convenient and inexpensive, and I signed up with them a couple of months ago. So far, they've been pretty easy to deal with though I haven't had to use them.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

Mark ** was very thorough in explaining and answering questions. This was a good experience in trying out a new program. He was able to offer an extension service without being pushy. Though I feel that from the minute I put in my information online, I had gotten emails as well as different phone calls from different agents. That was the only thing that I did not like.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

My realtor bought Total Home Protection for me as a gift when I purchased my home. I made two claims on the furnace as it wasn’t working right. The phone call worked better than going online wherein it took them two days to come up. The representative was pleasant to talk to and helped me to get someone out as soon as possible. Contractors were real professional. The repair was excellent and they got the problem solved.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I just bought my home and my cousin told me that I needed to get a home protection. I looked up home protection places online and found out about Total Home Protection. I thought I was getting the same one as what my cousin got and she said that if you paid 12 months, you’d get two months free. That was the case with Total Home Protection too, and that’s really what jumped out at me. They are a professional company and everything’s good so far.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

This is a terrible Home Warranty Service. I would not recommend it to anyone. Long wait times to start. I've had them for less than a year. They have a lot of exclusions and even their people don't understand them. I had them here for a long time and they could not verify what was covered. Also, I had an incident where they were supposed to show up and did not. I took time off work for this. They were a no show and they claimed they tried to call.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

DO NOT waste your time purchasing a home warranty from Total Home Protection. I purchased the platinum plan and when I made a claim to have the compressor in my AC replaced, the company said that it would not cover the cost. By no means am I an AC service repair expert, but a compressor is necessary for the unit to properly run. Total joke of a company, with poor customer service. Do not waste your time, money or resources.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I signed up this month and I'm happy with the service so far. I got Total Home Protection to protect the appliances and the air conditioning too. It was a good experience, overall.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I was looking for home warranty companies. Total Home Protection's price was right and then the coverage was comparable to other companies. I talked to the guys when I started up. They explained their plan to me and it sounded like it’s going to be a pretty good service. It's been 25 days since I've signed up and I haven’t had any claims yet, but they’ve been good so far.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I never received my updated policy since I could only do the yearly payment for now. I called to go from the $2000.00 policy to the yearly $550.00 and was told that it would be adjusted and updated policy sent out but I have not received anything as of yet.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I signed on with Total Home a couple weeks ago and the rep was very helpful.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Have tried 3 times to get things repaired, 1st time they send for air repair service and he left the system with live wires exposed and still broken. Had to hire someone to fix, turned out the company they sent out did not have a license to work in the state. 2nd time was for stove. The controls stopped working. Again they send someone out. I pay my fee, the guy say it's worn out but cannot fix because Total Home says it was not maintain right. How do you maintain the electronic buttons on a stove other than cleaning them.

3rd time paid extra to cover pool filter and pump. Filter needed to be replaced due to age. They sent a company out to do the job, before the company came out he called to see if in fact it would be covered which they told him yes. He comes out. I pay fee. He pulls filter apart, call them say filters are bad. They tell him it's not covered, after being on phone for half hour waiting. Have tried dealing with Total Home and every time I call I get someone else or the last person does not pick up at their number. Says they will call back never do. Service men try calling and get run around every time.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

Professional and helpful. Made things clear and easy. Getting home coverage is something I've been thinking of doing so the email was a good reminder and then Nick called and helped get it set up. Thank you for this opportunity.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I am very please with the way Tom helped me. I would recommend my family and friends to him. I am pleased with the coverage and how I was treated. Keep up the good work and great customer service. I like how I was called to check up to see if I could do this and how it all worked out.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I look forward to working with you for my home warranty coverage and I want to thank you Ray for being professional and extremely helpful through the process of my enrollment. I will gladly refer to you my friends and family. I was referred to you by my plumber.

Total Home Protection Company Information