Consumer Reviews and Complaints

31%
  • 3 stars1
  • 2 stars1
  • 1 stars0

Total Homeshield Home Protection strives to be the best in the home warranty industry. We have products and services that provide fast and efficient solutions. Total Homeshield Home Protection promises to go above and beyond to help you get back on your feet. THS offers two plans for you to choose from that work with your budget. Regardless of age, make or model, we will cover repair or replace your covered items. Our technicians are licensed, pre-screened and insured to take care of your replacement or repair. Visit our website today for a free quote!

I went on the internet to check out a few home warranty companies and Total Homeshield's price seemed to good to be true. They had a nice sales guy who gave me a good price up front that intrigued me. Then, he talked to his manager for a better price - I thought I was buying a used car due to that. He came back with a better price which I felt was good so I took it. Their service call fee was $45 whereas everybody else was $60 or $75, but they gave me 14 months instead of 12. The rate was almost half as what I was quoted before. I did not receive my contract right away, but I went ahead and called them and they emailed me right away, so I was happy about that. But I'm still leery until I make my first claim. If it doesn’t work out, I’ll change companies again next year.

Resolution In Progress

So far Total Homeshield has been good. However, I’m having second thoughts about it because of it's lack of accessibility. I called before for a claim the first time and all of a sudden, they pushed me off - they say I got to wait for 30 days. I tried calling their rep back directly because I have a question about their services. I want to know how much more it would be to add a second refrigerator, but he ain’t called back yet.

I chose Total Homeshield for their price. I believe they provide better service.

The sales rep seemed very nice. I'd recommend Total Homeshield to a friend as far as signing up with them.

I purchased Total Homeshield home warranty over the phone and the sales rep was good and accommodating. He sent my contract by email, the way I wanted it, and it was very convenient. I haven’t moved into the house yet but I'm looking forward to having peace of mind with Total Homeshield.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total HomeShield Home Protection?

I did a comparison between Total Homeshield and another company that I currently have which I'm not exactly happy with. One of the things that I was told is that Total Homeshield has a lot of different people working with them. That’s probably one of my best bets because the company I have is not from around here and sometimes I'm not crazy about the people they send to the house. Total's sales rep was very professional in explaining the plan and very pleasant.

However, I'm beginning to second guess the value in having some of the things that’s covered in their package because based on my past experience whenever I called for something that’s going wrong and I've always had home warranty since I purchased this house, sometimes I just get the feeling they had been way too interrogative. Also, I'm still waiting on the information in the mail which I'm supposed to get with the warranty to go over some details because it was mostly something that was discussed over the phone.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

I signed up for Total Homeshield on the internet. The reason why I was trying to get somebody else was because I got a contract from American Home Shield and for everything they said they would do, there were 10 things or stipulations where they wouldn't pay. However, Total Homeshield didn’t put down how much it's going to cost me per month. I never got to the point that they would say it was going to cost me X dollars for the warranty. They never said that anywhere on the internet. I don’t know what it is in writing of what's going to cost per month.

I never received the contract because when I talked to the guy from Total Homeshield, I said I'd give him my credit card number and he said he'd email the contract. I took their word that they were going to live up to their part of the deal. When I tried giving the number he said he'd get it sent to me. It's been a couple of weeks and it's getting scary because I gave them my account number at the bank and have received nothing from them. I have done my part, but they haven’t done theirs. I thought that at some point in time I would have received the contract telling me what they're going to do and not do. I want to compare their contract with the one that I've been carrying for about 15 years with American Home Shield and I'm not going to cancel until I find out what Total Homeshield offers. I'll give the guy a call to find out what's going on.

Total Homeshield Home Protection

Thank you again for selecting Total Homeshield for all your home warranty needs. We know your time is valuable so we take feedback very seriously.

I would like to apologize on behalf of your sales representative. THS does not condone high-pressure sales tactics and would like to thank you for bringing this to our attention. Your feedback will allow us to improve our business and retrain our staff where needed.

We at Total Homeshield have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. We sincerely thank you for this opportunity to serve you. If you have any questions, please contact us at 1-800-545-0402.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2016

I spoke to two different people from Total Homeshield who might want to consider using different sales tactics. Pressure sales is never good. I felt like I was at a used car lot. It’s like doing one of those things for a timeshare. I would caution people about the way Total Homeshield tries to get them to buy.

We talked to some local people, some of our friends and relatives, and we decided that having a home warranty might not be a bad idea. I did some online comparisons and then the different companies started sending me emails. I got a couple of phone calls and discussed it with my husband and we decided that Total Homeshield was probably the best deal out of the ones that we talked to. We looked at the different things that Total provided as compared to some of the other companies that we looked at -- items that were covered, cost, and cost-effectiveness. We purchased the warranty a month ago and the sales representative was great. He explained everything to me and I didn't really have a whole lot of questions but he left his name and his number told me that if I came up with any questions to get back in touch with him and he'd be more than happy to answer them. Overall, it was a good experience and it gives us a little peace of mind.

Factual basis uncertain

I have three A/C units and one just quit cooling. I got an impression initially that my air conditioners were covered and asked the technician to check on the others to make sure they're not going to go out too. I was told they don’t do service on one and not repair. Then I was told the A/Cs were not covered. I had to pay $125 a piece and also had to pay additional $8 or $10 to my policy because I have three units. I wound up paying $450 off my pocket. The other two units only had to have new filters put in, but the tech put new filters in all three, which I had to provide because I keep them all the time and I didn’t want to pay $50 for each. I kept thinking why the work was quick and I was told all was needed was cleaning.

Lots of times I've talked to Total Homeshield to use the warranty, they said I am not covered for something which was not what I understood. I'm looking at $700 this year on what I thought they'd cover. The claims reps were very nice, though. They were very convenient and thoughtful. I couldn’t ask for better service people.

We had a home warranty that was expiring and my realtor signed us up with Total Homeshield when we bought the house. She gave them my phone number and they contacted me. The sales representatives were great. The service was excellent and they got us a better price.

Getting protection seemed like a good idea because I’m a single female and I own two houses. So I thought it would be better just to have a Plan B. I just told the people at Total Homeshield what I wanted and they gave it to me. It was an easy sale. I asked the representative if there were any out-of-pocket expenses, and he said there were none. It turns out, there is a $60 fee each time someone is called out and he wasn’t quite upfront with that. When I sent him a message after I had paid for it, to say something about that, he never acknowledged it. That’s the only negative I had. But, the $60 fee didn’t bother me because that’s not unreasonable.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

I called my sales rep and thought I was getting Home Shield, but I got Total Home Shield instead. When I had checked out the other one's price, it was a little pricier so I decided to give Total Home Shield a shot. The salesman was pleasant and helpful when I purchased it but it's been close to a month and I haven't received anything like a packet or contract from them.

I had other home warranty providers but they were too expensive. I got Total Homeshield and their rep was friendly in explaining everything. He was good.

I got a geothermal system and Total Homeshield covers it. I haven't filed a claim yet but it was a very good experience overall.

I went online looking for a home warranty company after having very horrible experiences with several companies. I was also looking for the lowest price and I found Total Homeshield. The sales rep continuously called me until he closed the sale, but he was professional and exceptionally well. It's been an interesting and rewarding experience overall.

I had a home warranty before and during the time, my husband was sick. And so it got away from me and I didn't pay it when it was up for renewal. I was very pleased with the one that I had before and when I saw Total Homeshield on Facebook, I said, "This is something I need to do while I'm looking at this. Let me take care of it now." And that's what I did. I was very pleased with the guy that did the enrollment for me. Everything that I asked him, he had an answer for me. He was really knowledgeable about everything with the policy.

A friend of my wife was talking about home warranties then we looked around on the internet and found Total Homeshield. They gave me a good deal and the guy I talked with explained it best. And it's our first time so we want to try them and see what happens. It's an interesting experience.

I can't say enough good things about their service and reliability. I recently bought a new home and to know that I won't have to worry about anything major within the first year is a huge relief. I have had a great experience with THS and would highly recommend.

Expert Review

Michele LernerMortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.    More about Michele→

Total Homeshield provides extended warranty plans for homeowners, realtors and home sellers. They have two plans, with optional add-ons. Total Homeshield Home Protection has a wide, national network of quality service contractors for home and appliance repair so your appliance can be repaired or replaced quickly and without hassle.

• No limit on age, make or model: The appliances covered under your chosen Total Homeshield warranty plan are eligible for repair or replacement, no matter how old they are or what make or model they are.
  • Free month: Try one of Total Homeshield’s single payment home warranty plans for a month, for free, to see how you can benefit from it.
  • All hours claims service: Total Homeshield has 24/7 claims service, so you can file a claim in the middle of the day or the middle of the night.
  • Servicing guidelines: See for yourself what requirements every Total Homeshield service contractor must meet in order to apply. The servicing guidelines are available on the website, and they include proof of licensing, insurance minimums and the expectation that each contractor will make a service appointment no more than four hours after receiving a work order.
  • Transferable: Every Total Homeshield warranty is transferable to a new homeowner, which can add value to your home when you are selling it and give new homebuyers peace of mind.
  • Best for Total Homeshield Home Protection is best for homeowners, homebuyers and realtors.

Total Homeshield Home Protection Company Profile