Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

If I could give less than 1 star I would. My calls started on Monday. It is now Wednesday and I am still being bounced around. On January 1st of 2017 I purchased a home warranty for my home in Virginia. I had a leak in the incoming water line which was fixed but asked my sales consultant if this would be covered and I was told absolutely. I have now called for a leak 6 months later and have been told they won’t cover outside the home. When I told them our conversation they told me they would have to review our conversation.

I called Tuesday 24 plus hours later and was told it would take 24 to 48 hours. I was promised a call on Wednesday by 8 am HST, which did not happen. I called 3 1/2 hours later and the new supervisor/manager said he doesn’t see any notations. I have now been on hold for 50 minutes, as I was told "Let me look into it". As well it took over 2 months to receive my contract. I finally hung up. I have an appointment. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. NO INTEGRITY.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a problem with the pool plumbing system and submitted the claim over the phone. Initially, I was frustrated because Total Home Protection said they couldn’t find anybody to work on it. I complained and told them I was going to cancel my program with them because I signed up for a pretty long period of time and it’s cancellable and refundable. The next day, they found a vendor for me so I got the impression that they found somebody because I threatened to cancel the membership.

The contractor didn’t show up one time and was not very responsive to me. He wouldn’t get on the phone. I had to call Total Home Protection and complain that I couldn’t get in touch with him. The next day, I got him to call me. He came but didn’t get approval from Total Home Protection to do the work. He was sitting out in front of the house for a while and I couldn’t understand why he didn’t get the approval before he came. And when he came, he had the wrong part and had to wait another day. It was a pain in the neck and I was dissatisfied. It was my first claim with them so my first impression of them was not good. I’m waiting to see what happens on the next claim. Maybe the pool was the problem because it’s pool season and they’re having a tough time finding pool guys to work. If it was a regular problem like AC, I’m curious as to how they would perform there.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We have a home warranty for a rental condo that we purchased 3 years ago. The AC unit recently quits working. Upon request, Total Home Protection dispatched a technician on May 21 to check it out and the Technician determined that the coil is leaking and recommended replacement. We paid $45 for the inspection. What happened next surprised us completely. Instead of honoring the warranty policy and fix the AC unit, Total Home Protection rejected our claim citing that the unit had previous services before. This, happens to be a baseless argument that was completely made up on their end to not honor their warranty service agreement for two reasons -

1. Total Home Protection claims that the technician stated that the coil has a mismatch with the unit, and used this as their basis for their argument that the unit was serviced in the past. In making up this fraudulent determination, they failed to recognize three fundamental facts - a. We bought this unit 3 years ago and the AC unit has been working all along and we have had no repair services on the unit until now. b. If indeed it was a coil mismatch, how could the unit keep working all these 3 years until now? c. Who on earth would "service" an AC unit by putting a mismatched coil in in the first place?

2. In the receipt the technician gave us a copy of, there is no statement at all that indicated a "mismatched coil" as Total Home Protection claimed. All he stated is "Leak in old coil. Rec. Replace System" (receipt image attached).

When we bought the unit, we have done a thorough inspection by a licensed inspector, all appliances were working well. Like I said, the AC unit has been working all along and we had no service repairs throughout those years until now. It's a shame that Total Home Protection, in an effort to avoid honoring their policy, would cook up such a baseless excuse to try to disqualify our claim and request for service. This is our first time using Total Home Protection, clearly this is not a business we could trust to honor any of their policies, if they can simply generate out of the blue a baseless excuse like this. I'd like to request Consumer Affairs investigate or alert FTC to look into the claim processing practices within Total Home Protection.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I’ve got some appliances that are getting a little bit older and I wanted to have a little bit of assurance in case one of them was to go out. Total Home Protection had a commercial that came on the radio and I went from there. When I signed up, the rep was pleasant and explained what was involved in the service. The price was fair, too. They had about 3 options to choose from and could include different aspects of the home and different appliances. There is also an opportunity to sign up for a six-year plan.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had this repairman come from Advanced Appliances and told me that the washer wasn't getting any water source and I had to call a plumber. I told him that what he needed to do was to disconnect it from the water source, find the line and re-attach it, that there was rust in the line. He argued with me and he did it. Then, he found out that was part of the problem. He said it needed a water inlet valve and that they had to order it. He called me today and said that he's not getting any response from Total Home Protection and it's going to cost me $300 or more for him to repair it. I said, “No. It’s not. I have the warranty to cover it.” However, I called Total Home Protection and got a hold of them and they said they’re going to call him tomorrow because he didn’t wanna talk to them today. I'm not pleased right now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

Total Home Protection

Carol - Your warranty is with Total Home Protection, not Total Protect Home Warranty. Their web address is http://www.totalhomeprotection.com/

I am sorry to hear that you have experienced issues. Best - Heather

Original review: May 15, 2017

I bought this policy because I am a single Mom, and I cannot fix most of the problems that happen in my house, I saw they have good reviews, not I wonder is this review are real! When I asked before buying they said will cover everything,is not true, is not is a lie!

My first call was for my garage door, they said they just can’t fix rollers just the motor parts, no the roller, I passed,then I look for another company and fixed it for $60.00 dollars.

My second call was my water heater broke and I they said that they only fix the component's of the water heater no the tank, this is a fraud company, I cancel my account and they charge me with, two months plus cancellation, Why I have to pay cancelation fees, your company is not fixing anything that I asked. Please be careful this company is a fraud, I still do not receive my refund and more than 10 days have passed, is a fraud

Factual basis uncertain

Whatever you do, DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THIS COMPANY. This is not a real company. It's a fraud. It's run by 2-3 young 22-25 year old guys. There is no underlying network of contractors. It's all a lie... There is no file a claim on website. It does not exist. It's a make believe only... If you file a claim with them to send out a contractor to repair something in your home I guarantee you that this repair person will never arrive and all you will do is call and call the next day and the day after that explaining yourself as to why they did not send anyone. They will apologize and give you another nonexistence contractor phone number only for you to call again and complain.

Total Home Protection is a TOTAL SCAM. BE AWARE!!! I bought a home warranty coverage policy from this company effective from 4/23/2017-6/24/2018. I paid with my credit card $2100 for 6 policies. I was influenced to join after reading on their website that it only costs $45 for a technician visit which is the cheapest by far compared to any other home warranty in the market today.

On 05/07/2017 I called to place a claim for a leak inside the house located California 91367 with the contract number **. The person there after 2 days emailed me a number for a company called US Veterans Home Services Inc. After calling this number numerous times and leaving messages, no one called me back and so I called the Total Home Protection again and told them that no matter how many times I call no one at this US Veterans Home Services picks up the phone or returns calls. Then they provided another plumbing company phone number this one called Drain Doctors Plumbing and Rooter. This time a person by the name of Arnold picked up the phone and told me he would come by on 05/10/2017 but the next day he called and cancelled the appointment mentioning that he does not want to work with Total Home Protection Company for reasons he did not tell me.

Again, I called the Total Home Protection the next on 05/10/2017 called and told them the problem and the individual said hold on and put me on hold and never came back. After 20 minutes I hung up. And 12:02 I called again and this time another individual who represented himself as manager pick up the phone. I told him about how fraudulent everything seems. He said he will personally call me and make sure the problem is resolved in the next 30 minutes. He never called back but 4 hours later, an email came with another plumber's phone number this time called Royalty Plumbers and Air Conditioning Services. I called this number and the calls goes to answering machine and the message says voice box is full.

I believe that all these numbers not working for one reason or another is not a coincidence. I have a belief that this company is functioning only to defraud the American people with fake home warranty protection policy. There is no functional underlying network of service providers in an event of submitting a claim. They claim in the contract that policy holder can check the status or file a new claim Online but that is a lie. When I asked them how come I cannot check or file a claim online they said it under repair. I have a sincere belief that the check status section has never been operate nor will it ever be.

I looked up Total Home Protection online. When I had a pool problem, I was referred to this certain guy who came in, but he wouldn't even submit a report. I paid the $45 copayment and I kept calling him every day, "Could you please submit a report? I need the pool to be fixed." After one week, he just wrote anything and sent it. I told him, "This is not right." I brought somebody else while I was working with him. This next guy said the filter needs to be changed, but the company is refusing to do that. They have been trying everything to get out of it. This is not somebody that I know. It was referred by the warranty company. It dragged on for about three or four weeks. I'm very disappointed and even thought of cancelling. I told Total Home Protection, "Can you find me someone else?" They said, "Okay, we'll find somebody else. We'll even waive the copayment for you."

I brought two companies, one theirs and the other was the pool company that I wanted to hire, which told me they won't start the service until I do the repair. My pool was starting to go bad because I don't have a pool guy and I really want to hire this company. They said the filter needs to be changed. The filter is covered but the warranty company tried to get out of it by finding an excuse not to cover it. The manager offered $200, then another manager pumped it up to $315 towards fixing of the problems because they know I need to change the filter. I left several messages to the manager that I spoke to and the one who offered me $315 never called me back. I was going to ask him about the $45 for the copayment on top of the $315, but I've never gotten an answer. I told the guy "Go ahead and change the filter." I was going to pay the difference.

I would not ring Total Home in the future. I didn't want to go through that. I paid upfront but it's very unfair and unprofessional. If it's covered, it's covered. More than one person said the filter needs to be changed. Even the guy said "I've worked with a lot of warranty companies. This one would have been covered in a minute. It wouldn't be a question." I already recommended other people to Total Home Protection and then there were going to be more people, but I'm not going to do that in the future. I am very dissatisfied.

Factual basis uncertain

Called 6 pm, answering service. Never heard from them. Called the next day, they were sorry they are having a problem with their service. They could have someone out to me 5 days after I called, because they don't consider a dishwasher an emergency. They don't do the repairs, they find local companies that want to work with them. I asked for a refund. They gave me a runaround, then they sent me a document. Well I don't sign my rights away. I called Chase Bank, and THS has an agreement with them that if there is a dispute they won't fight it and will refund fully. The contract states, "THP reserves the right to offer cash back in lieu of repair or replacement in the amount of our actual cost, which at times may be less than retail, to repair or replace any covered system, component, or appliance." Now they just called my while I'm writing a RELEASE AGREEMENT.

I was shopping around for a home warranty and then I found that Total Home Protection sounded reasonable. I was also reading the reviews and there was nothing too bad about them. However, we did a claim but they haven't sent it to the contractor. I got an email from them and I have the contractor details so I called him. He said Total Home Protection have said that he has a job to be done but they haven't sent the work order. He said that he needs that work order for him to come and do their stuff. I called Total Home again and they said they're going to send right away and they did. The contractor said that he received the email but the attachment wasn't there. It was some kind of technical issue but they came and fixed it. Everything went good and I was happy.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I contracted for a home warranty protection plan with Total Home Protection and had 30 days to review the contract which was not sent out. We had to call again for the contract. Since our house was a short sale the contract did not cover us so I called to cancel the contract on April 19 (had gotten the contract March 27). I spoke to Dane who said no problem he would cancel the contract. I went out of town returning April 29 and I saw I had been charged another $375.38 again and my contract obviously had not been cancelled. I will try again 5-1 to speak to a representative. I was told their offices are closed.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Paid premium in full, made a claim for my AC unit. They send their tech out and it was diagnosed with a bad compressor. THS says that it's not covered and the tech lied. I said, “Well send someone else out” and they told me to pay for a second opinion… wow! Then went on to say my compressor is not covered and I have the platinum plan. It's covered and they don't want to pay: they rather refund me my money because they refuse to replace my compressor. Also the supervisor (DAVID) and the customer service reps are rude. Do not recommend... BEWARE! They are not repricable!!!

Total Home Protection was the company I had before for about 10 years. I was okay with the service then but when I refinanced my mortgage, they dropped the policy. I didn't realize it and it was months later. They told me I had all these premium to pay to be caught up. So I just let it go because I didn't have that kind of money. When I was online, a guy from Total Home Protection called me. He convinced me I should buy and based on the prices, I did.

I called Total Home Protection once, since I joined, about my oven. I had cooked a meal and I turned it off. And then I turned it back on to do something else and it just kept getting cool and it wouldn't start. I told them what I thought the problem was and that I needed someone to come out and look at it. Total scheduled it and the guy came out the next day or the day after. He fixed it so I’m pleased. Total Home Protection is good and so is their coverage. I recommend them.

Two weeks ago, I told Total Home Protection about the water dropping in my room. Even though I declared it, nobody came to look. Nevertheless, I'm really satisfied with them. Their representative was cordial and the contractor they sent was nice. When I came back from the store, the AC wasn't working. My children said they came back from school and it was hot. And since the repair, the performance of the AC has been good. My experience with Total Home Protection has been satisfactory and I've recommended them to several people.

My water heater went out, so I called Total Home Protection and then I got an automated email saying who my contractor was going to be. I essentially gave them an idea of what was going on. Their customer web portal was not up at that time and it took a day for me to get a response back. I also got two different emails. The first email told me that it was going to be zero dollars because when I first signed up, they gave me two free service charges. I got another email back 30 minutes later telling me it was going to be $45. So I called them and I said, “Hey, this shouldn’t be $45,” and they said, “Oh, yeah. You have two credits on there,” so they wiped it and I didn’t get charged for it.

The only problem I had was that I was told I was supposed to get a call from the contractor but I didn’t. I eventually called the contractor and he said he just got our information in. We set up a time for the following day to have him come and he said he was going to come between 8:00 and 12:00. So I took the day off work, but I didn’t get any phone call and he didn’t arrive. I called him and he said he didn’t have our information. Then he said, “I have to call the warranty company to get the information.” I was confused. Then he didn’t give me a call back again that day, so I had to call him the next day. There was a lot of me giving them a call and leaving voicemails.

It was a little disheartening because that was the coldest week of the whole year so far. Luckily, we have a fireplace, so we were able to heat it up and it was only cold for about three of those days. But we didn’t have heat until about a week and a half later. They might be able to come out on a Friday and order the part if they got approved by the warranty. The contractor said he would give me another call back once he got it approved, but he didn’t get it approved until a Monday. Then they came out on a Tuesday and got it up and running. The contractor showed me afterward what they did and the guy explained everything.

Overall, I had no problem with Total Home Protection. They did everything that they possibly could. I think they need to vet who they're using as contractors a little bit better. If I had gone straight through that contractor without the home warranty, I would've dropped them in a minute. The lack of communication was a bit appalling in my opinion. Then anytime I called, it seemed like as if I was in the wrong 'cause I shouldn’t have been calling as much as I would. His customer service was not great, but Total Home Protection was perfect.

I have been a member of Total Home Protection for the past three months. The contractors they've sent have done a couple of things for me and they were very professional, efficient and always on time. The technicians were very knowledgeable and organized. I had a problem with the lights in the patio and the electrician was very good. Then I had a little problem with my sink and another problem with my air conditioner which wasn't cooling the bedrooms properly on the side. I wasn’t there when they came out, but from the time I did showed him all the rooms were cold and my two daughters were asleep. They were happy so everything's good. I'm totally satisfied thus far and hope that it’ll continue that way. I'm happy that I chose Total Home Protection. I have recommended the company to two other people and they should be signed.

I was having a problem with my pool equipment that led me to file a claim to Total Home Protection over the phone. Dealing with their representative was acceptable and I was very pleased with the contractor that they sent out. He's very professional and good working man. He's able to fix what's needed but there's still one thing that he's dealing with and he's been very good with his follow through. It's technical and he's researching it out. Hopefully it'll get resolved because it concerns me that on his end he didn't feel that he was getting the cooperation he should be getting from Total Home Protection. He's been very nice to me and I wanted to make sure he's being taken care of.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

At the time, TotalProtect had the most coverage for the value. They covered everything from the little bit of things to big things, their deductibles were low and they always have the best references for people so I chose them. I called one time and they referred this man to me to fix something. After I talked to him, I thought he was quite rude. So I called TotalProtect, explained the situation, and told them that I don't want to deal with the guy. They set me up with somebody else and they made note of that. I thought that was really neat.

Then I have submitted most the claim online but I did one on the phone way back. The representative was very nice and helpful. Professionally speaking, they knew exactly what to do and they answered all my questions. I kept them as I haven't had any problems so far. I already recommended them to friends and to some people that I know are homeowners who always have issues with their stuff.

We had no electricity which means no heat. I made several phone calls to Total Home Protection which got me nowhere. They were not available during the weekends. They have a service but it did me no good. The service said they were going to get through and I don't believe they did. They said they never heard from the service but on my cellphone, I had a record of calling them. I had to finally get somebody on my own out here because we have a two-year-old and a four-year-old.

I had to submit a claim and the whole thing started February 10th and I have not been paid for it as of yet. I've spoke to several people and they said that supposedly my claim would not totally be covered so they're going to send me a portion of it. It was our first claim and it wasn't a very good experience. I would not recommend them to a friend because most of my friends have kids. If there is an emergency during the weekend, it should be vital that it gets through to the appropriate sources.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have a geothermal heating system which is a type of electric, however it's a whole lot of mess. At the time I came with TotalProtect, they were offering a very good coverage. It has subsided since then because they've realized that that's a complicated system. But I still have coverage with them. They come and check every season, and I'm happy with it. I've used the same electrical people and their quality of work was good. I like it and I would recommend it to all the people.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I wanted a better coverage on my home than just the homeowner's insurance and so I got TotalProtect. Submitting a claim was very easy and no issue at all. Then the air conditioning unit in my room quit working. The first time, I submitted it over the phone then the second time was online. All the technicians did was get it back into running condition and they didn't replace any parts. It works great.

I enjoyed making the call and getting the service immediately. I got a garbage disposal replaced and Total Home Protection was on-time, did the job efficiently and clean up anything that they have left behind. Plus, I really appreciate that my money that was drafted every month out of my account is honest. I'll have Total Home Protection in case something else happens.

I previously had a home warranty with a different company and when they came about for the visits, the price jumped up significantly. I want the same protection but with something a little more reasonable. I saw Total Home Protection online and went with them. I'm satisfied thus far. Yet as a consumer, when something breaks, I want it fixed as soon as possible.

One thing I don't like when I call to make a claim is that they say someone will call me back within 24 hours but I have to follow up the following day, beyond 24 hours, to get the information to get the company to come out, then I had to call the company. My front load washer was coming on but not drying and not stopping so we needed to get that taken care of. I called Total Home Warranty and they gave us the numbers so I called the company. The guy called and we told him what the issue was. He stated that he pretty much knew what it was and we gave him the model number and serial number. Then he came out two days afterwards, looked at it, didn't take him long, was professional and took care of the issue. We had to order a part and it took about five business days before he put it on. There's about a little under two weeks to get everything squared away but beyond that, he did a good job and there were no problems since then.

I filed a claim with Total Home Protection when I had problems with my six-year-old washing machine. They were very helpful and they sent me a confirmation within 5 minutes, giving me the contractor name. Then the nice contractor called me promptly. We thought the machine was out of balance. Apparently, there was a problem with the pipe, but he wasn’t able to fix it so, I called them back and they told me I didn’t have to pay anything for him to come back for the same problem. My washing machine is yet to be fixed. Still, I’ve recommended them to two other people already.

When I was travelling from New York to Florida, I went to visit my daughter and I got a call from Total Home Protection. They were explaining to me what kind of service they provide. At the time I was trying to getting them off the phone because I was driving. I told him I was driving and that I'd call him back if I could. He asked how long before I get where I'm going so I told him about four hours. Diligently, he called back again.The persistence got me to thinking that I needed some protection and it felt right. When he called back again, I decided that I was going to get it. He was a good salesman.

My daughter goes to school in New York. She lost her mom so I spend a lot of time up there comforting and helping her out. So, I'm not always home. My cousins, who are at the house, told me that the washing machine stops when it gets to cycle and beeps. So they shut the machine off and waited until I got home. When I got home after two weeks, I tried it on and it has completed the cycle. So about two weeks later, I went to go do laundry again and the same thing happened again. So I called Total Home Protection and on that day, I opened the garage and the garage made a popping sound and the door stopped rolling. At first, the information didn't get to the vendors that they sent me as fast as the email got to me. They weren't aware who I was and what I wanted. But I called Total Home Protection back and figured it out.

When I called the first time, the individual was helpful. When I called the second time, I assumed that the information should have been put into the computer and then I wouldn't have to go through the explanation process. But I had to and I did it. Then the third time I called back, I had to explain again. And that was a little bit annoying because I thought that after calling the first, second and third time I shouldn't have to explain again. I assumed somebody put it in the computer, because on calling after that I had no problems of them realizing or knowing who I was.

But when the techs finally came, they were excellent and very professional. They did their jobs very adequately and called back to check and make sure that I was satisfied. My interaction with the vendors were a lot smoother than that with Total Home. But I'm glad I chose them because if I hadn't the cost would have been a lot more expensive for me. It was a good investment and I was glad that their sales rep called me the day that he called me.

I put in two claims with Total Home Protection. We heard back right away from someone for the plumbing claim. It was easy and I even got an email saying, “Here’s the company that’s coming out.” However, I wouldn't use again the contractor that Total sent out. They were late on their window. It caused an issue because my wife works from home so she expected them during this time and the guy showed up late and she was on a conference call. Also, he left a mess in the bathroom. For the second claim, our washer-dryer was constantly tilting. Mmaybe it was not covered from what I explained, but no one came back and said if it's covered or not.

I would still recommend Total Home Protection to a friend. I’m assuming the one issue that I had isn’t gonna occur again and overall the cost was good. It’s $45 compared to my previous home warranty. I paid $530 and each time I would have someone come out, it was $75. I only got 15 months on it. So I wasn’t planning on using it and wouldn't renew it. My dad bought a house and told me that he's using Total Home Protection and they gave him some free months. So we switched and we got some extra months too.

Total Home Protection's fees were a lot cheaper so I chose them. Submitting a claim over the phone went fine. The technician that came out to my house was great and the work she did went well.

Total Home Protection

Thank you contacting us with the above referenced complaint. We at Total Home Protection treat each complaint with the utmost respect and use this feedback to better serve our valued customers. Understandably, there are two sides to every story and always look for a fair resolution between all parties.
Please note that Customer Service is open from 9am-7pm EST. For general policy questions, or questions regarding an existing claim, please call during normal business hours as stated in the policy. To place a new claim, our hotline is open 24/7.

We at Total Home Protection have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. If you have any questions, please contact us at 1-800-545-0402.

Original review: March 9, 2017

I request service with Total Home Protection after paying my fee upfront for the year. Call to get service and got the runaround. Call between 9 and 6. Ask about my claim and was told to call back tomorrow. Now I'm waiting 3 days no service. What a waste.

I had a claim a few weeks ago for a plumbing issue and it went really good. The Total Home Protection rep I talked on the phone and the technician who came were both very good. These are old toilets so I'm going to have to replace them anyway, but the tech got it fixed.

Our furnace went out in the middle of a weekend cold day. Total Home Protection told us to contact someone and whoever they set up was too far away. He wouldn't come out. He said, "That's too far away. I have to charge you more money." I called THP back. Then it happened that I had to call after hours and their staff isn't as informative after hours. They couldn't help me locate somebody else. I had to wait to the next morning to talk to someone. They said, "We'll call somebody you know closer." They authorized that, which was fine. We were in two days without heat, but we managed. We have a gas fireplace by our couch and we slept on the couch. To make the long story short, the gentleman that normally does our furnace was able to come. We were authorized to call him, but he did have other people ahead of us. He did come but we had to wait for him.

Total Home Protection Company Profile