2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties
Accredited Partner

Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.05/5

Total Home Protection strives to be the best in the home warranty industry. We have products and services that provide fast and efficient solutions. Total Home Protection promises to go above and beyond to help you get back on your feet. THP offers two plans for you to choose from that work with your budget. Regardless of age, make or model, we will cover repair or replace your covered items. Our technicians are licensed, pre-screened and insured to take care of your replacement or repair. Visit our website today for a free quote!

BOTTOM LINE

Total Home Protection offers competitive home warranty services. The plans are not available in every state, but they offer solid coverage plans to their served areas.

PROS

• Ability to add additional systems and appliances
  • Quality coverage

CONS

• Not available nationwide

Top Total Home Protection Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

I haven't been a customer for long but the amount of time and energy I've saved so far has been unmatched. Total Home Protection makes the repair process as easy as it should be my oven has been fixed to perfection for the cost of just a $45 deductible. I'm very impressed.

I submitted a claim with them online for my stainless steel dishwasher and they were very nice and they got it within 10 hours. Then the guy called me back, made the appointment and they came the next day. It's now back to normal and doing great.

Total Home Protection Get a Quote

Total Home Protection plans

Total Home Protection offers two plan variations for home warranty coverage. Both provide coverage for a mix of systems and appliances.

• Gold: Covers 15 items, including systems like plumbing and appliances like dishwashers.
  • Platinum: Covers 20 major home systems and appliances. In addition to the 15 items covered by the Gold plan, the Platinum plan covers more key appliances like refrigerators and systems like heat and AC.
  • Optional coverage: Additional items are available to add on to either plan, including items like pools and spas, water softeners and septic systems or additional appliances and systems like a second refrigerator or A/C unit.

Total Home Protection cost

Total Home Protection advertises plans as low as $1 per day. Because prices may vary by your location, home size and selected plan, the best way to get an accurate cost is to request a quote from Total Home Protection. Luckily, they make this easy with a simple online form.

Total Home Protection coverage

Between their two plans and add-on coverage, a Total Home Protection home warranty provides coverage for most major systems and household appliances.

Gold plan
The Gold plan covers the following systems and appliances:
  • Built-in microwave
  • Trash compactor
  • Whirlpool bath
  • Water heater
Platinum plan
The Platinum plan covers the following systems and appliances:
  • Air conditioning system
  • Trash compactor
  • Whirlpool bath
  • Water heater
Optional coverage
You can also add optional coverage to your plan at a per-item fee for the following:
  • Additional A/C system
  • Stand-alone freezer
  • Water softener
  • Well pump

Total Home Protection’s coverage exclusions

In the Total Home Protection contract they provide a full list of coverage exclusions. Pre-existing conditions are not covered, which is standard to most home warranty contracts. Additionally, there may be parts or components of covered items that are excluded from coverage. For example, while Air Conditioning Systems are covered under the Platinum plan, replacement filters for those systems are not provided as part of that coverage. With appliances, you’ll often see items like knobs, dials, shelving and any removable accessories excluded from coverage as well.

In the event that a claim is denied due to a coverage exclusion, you have a right to get a second opinion from another service provider.

Total Home Protection’s coverage limits

Total Home Protection places coverage limits on certain items. This is the maximum dollar amount they will pay out per contract term for specific items. If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds this amount, you would be responsible for covering the remainder of the cost yourself.

Total Home Protection’s per contract term cap is $1,500 for “access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement” of all covered items. In addition, they have set coverage limits per item in certain areas.

ItemTotal Home Protection coverage limit
Refrigerant$10 per pound
Lawn sprinkler systems, refrigerator ice maker, septic tank pumping$200 per term
Ceiling and exhaust fans$400 per term
Ductwork, electrical system, limited roof leak, plumbing system and stoppages, pools and spas, septic system, sump pump, water heater, water softener, whirlpool bathtubs$500 per term

If a plumbing claim requires a service provider to break through walls or ceilings to make the repair, Total Home Protect will also cover up to $500 per claim to get the wall or ceiling back to a rough finish by hanging or patching drywall.

How to request service from Total Home Protection

You can file a claim 24/7 online or by calling the Total Home Protection claims department toll-free.

1. Submit your claim to Total Home Protection.
  2. Total Home Protection assigns one of their approved service providers to your case within two business days (four on weekends and holidays).
  3. The service provider will contact you to schedule your appointment.
  4. You will pay your trade service call fee (this will be specified in your contract, typically $60).

Total Home Protection guarantees labor for 30 days and parts for 90 days. Should a failure occur due to the labor provided on your repair within 30 days, Total Home Protection will send another technician out to fix the problem at no additional cost to you.

Total Home Protection FAQ

What states does Total Home Protection cover?
Total Home Protection covers 39 states. At this time, coverage is not available in California, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Nevada, New York, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington or Wyoming.
Is there a limit on the number of claims?
There is no limit on the number of claims you can make during your contract term. However, there may be dollar limits and caps on covered items per contract term.
How do I cancel Total Home Protection?
If you cancel within 30 days of ordering, you will receive a full refund. Cancellation after 30 days will receive a pro-rated refund for the remainder of the contract and a $50 cancellation fee.
What happens if a covered item cannot be repaired?
If an item cannot be repaired, a replacement will be provided. If the cost of a replacement exceeds your coverage limit cap, Total Home Protection may provide a cash payout instead.

Is Total Home Protection worth it?

Total Home Protection provides plenty of coverage for homeowners. With monthly costs in line with the industry average and a below-average service call fee, we think Total Home Protection is worth it for homeowners looking for extra protection for their appliances and systems. A warranty can pay for itself with one repair.

Total Home Protection Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

I was quite disappointed when I found out that the claim was not covered. I was told that my kitchen faucet was loose. Water was dripping under the sink at a fast rate. When the contractor came out, they looked into it and said the faucet needed to be replaced. They came back and said Total Home Protection does not cover it. I was really disturbed that a water leak wasn't covered. That's normal wear and tear but I got it taken care of on my own. I had to get somebody outside of my insurance to come and change it for me. After talking to some people, I was told that that's normal for them not to replace a faucet. But the thing is that the people that came out still wanted a service fee. That's the part that I couldn't get behind - a service fee of $60 and they were there for less than a minute.

I wanted some explanation. I called that person that sent me an email regarding my claim but she never emailed me back or answered my voicemail. I made several calls and did speak to someone. They transferred me to somebody 'cause I was calling to cancel. The person on the other end asked me why did I wanna cancel and I told her. She offered me two very good things that I couldn't turn down and I was very pleased that she was more interested in keeping me as a client.

However, it did kinda make me hesitant to call in another claim. My garbage disposal is rattling when I turn it on. It feels like something is loose. I'm thinking is this wear or tear or do I need to file a claim. I don't want somebody else to come out then tell me it's not covered. Plus, I didn't wanna seem like I was making claims back-to-back even though the first one wasn't covered. But I don't mind paying the service fee. I'll do anything to get that rattling noise out of there. It'd be even better if they could replace the whole thing.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you for selecting Total Home Protection for all your home warranty needs. We know your time is valuable so we take feedback very seriously. Your feedback allows us to improve our business and promote the level of service expected from a trusted industry leader. Total Home Protection strives to be a top rated home warranty provider. We have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. We sincerely thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service during normal business hours at 1-800-545-0402.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I received an email from Total Home Protection and I contacted them because of that email. We had been with a different home protection company prior to being with them. I was just looking to make a change. When I spoke to their representative, I decided to go with them. Submitting claims is pretty straightforward. It's a little different than the one that we had before. There was a little more communication with the one we had before once we submitted a claim. It took me a little bit to figure out that to find out the status, I had to go online to my account.

Total Home Protection didn't like sending emails like what the other company did. The communication regarding the claim could’ve been a little bit better. I researched the different home protection companies. They're all a little bit different as far as what they cover and the extent that they cover things. I found that there were more limitations on what Total Home Protection would cover than some of the others that I looked at. But even with that, I did end up going with them.

Total Home Protection response
    Thank you for contacting us with the above referenced review. We at Total Home Protection treat each review with the utmost respect and use this feedback to better serve our valued customers. Understandably there are two sides to every story and always look for a fair resolution between all parties.
    All claims have been properly serviced in accordance with the Service Agreement - all contracts have inclusions as well as exclusions. If you have disputes with any of your claims, always feel free to contact mediation@totalhomeprotection.com. We are committed to providing a positive customer experience and doing the right thing for all our customers, contractors, employees, and our company.

We at Total Home Protection have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. If you have any questions, please contact me at 1-800-545-0402.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

I'm retired and I'll be 75 years old on January 24th. I decided to get a home warranty and I had a different company once. When I had a claim for the air conditioner, somebody came out here to fix it and I paid $75 for that. But when I bought my air conditioner, they said all they were going to give me was $500 and I had to pay the rest. So why would I need them if I was going to pay a monthly bill? At the time, my best friend who is in Cleveland had Total Home Protection and that was how I came by them. Signing up with them sounded good to me and the reps seemed to be straight up with me.

Recently, I told Total Home Protection about my freezer. The lights went off then the red light stayed on for a while and it wasn't shutting off. But the contractor never came out because he told me that if the light had went out, there was nothing they could do and all I'd be doing was throwing away my money because I would have to pay $75 for him to come out here. So I told him it was all right, but that didn't make sense to me. In the end, the red light went out on its own and so far, the freezer is working okay.

Total Home Protection response

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

So far, Total Home Protection seems to be okay. One thing that I did have an issue with was when I submitted a claim for my central air. I wasn't able to go onto the website, it was something weird because the website wasn't working where I couldn't put the request in. I had to call and it was almost impossible, to get somebody on the phone. On the phone, it was telling you to go online to put in the request. Then when I finally got somebody on the phone, I said, "Well, what is the deal why you can't put in the request online? Like you guys are asking us to do." But then she said something was wrong with the website and she was gonna check into it. But I really believe that's something that they should be making sure that they operate properly daily.

The rep told me to try to go out and back in, and then it worked after that, but I don't wanna ever go through that again where I couldn't get anybody on the phone because of the pandemic. Then if the staff has been cut or they don't have that many people, I can't get anybody on the phone, and the website won't take a request, that's not good. As far as the guy that came out for the central air, he just put some Freon, but he stayed outside because of COVID. He got out of the car with a mask on so he was practicing precaution. I had an electrician come out. There were two of them that came out. It was for my garbage disposal. It was before a light switch. They were okay and they were friendly. They seemed professional, courteous and they did the work. Everything's working properly.

Total Home Protection response

Original review: April 24, 2020

I was unsatisfied with the warranty company that I had and then I tried Total Home Protection. I like them and they respond much quicker than the other two warranty companies that I had in the past. Last time, when my air conditioner went out, techs came and said the unit needed a motor. But I came to find out that I didn't need a motor. The guy from Choice told me I had to pay half. They reneged on the deal and I told them that as soon as my time was up, I would stop and I did. I paid $60 for the guy to come here and half for the motor. I needed to have air 'cause I got three grandbabies in the house.

I filed the claim with Total Home and the issue has not been fixed yet. It took me a while to contact them and it also took time for them to call the contractors to come out. But after I got to speak to somebody, they reacted pretty good. They called me and set me an appointment with a technician two times. The tech was supposed to come that day but they said they had to release him for some other reason. They got another guy to come in within 48 hours after I called about the issue.

With Total Home, they said they're gonna take care of everything other than the parts that are unfixable. The tech saw that the unit needed some electric wire. He did what he was supposed to do and I had no problems with him. He ordered a part. He called me Saturday and said the part was in. Now, I am waiting for him to come and finish it up.

Total Home Protection response

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

I have been waiting for them to fix my microwave for 4 months now 4 months and I paid for the service fee and they called me and tell me to find someone else to find someone myself. Why do I have this company and I can't get my money back. I really would appreciate if someone passed this person named Sean and not the lady who says she wants his company with been running it for the last three years. I need to talk to the president of this company or something cuz this is outrageous.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

The customer service provided was exceptional. The salesperson was professional and provided a great customer experience. The salesperson was attentive and was very knowledgeable of the products and prices provided. He was positive and demonstrated the desire to provide a good customer experience.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

I have been fighting over my hvac since my air conditioner went out July 28, 2020. They don't have a tech in my area so they had me get a diagnoses and estimate from 3 companies in my area. They want me to pay for everything up front and then they will decide rather or not to reimburse me. When my dishwasher went out they sent a tech. Even though he told them it was not preexisting but the mother board they refused to cover it, so I had to buy one and pay to have it installed. Every time I have e mailed mediation they claim not to have received it. I have had other people tell me they have had the same problem.

I have talked to all of their deptartments. I have been called a weak woman because I broke down crying in frustration. I have many health problems and my husband is a disabled vet. This was the same day my cat died from heat stroke because it was over 115 degrees in our house. I have been told to deal with it. Their recording and what I was told said no out of pocket expenses. I have a son who is autistic and not working plus we have a son in college that we help support. I can't afford to travel to meet my granddaughters, but they expect me to pay 6,000.00 out of my pocket and then they might reimburse me.

They have offered to refund a payment and call it quits. I am not letting them get away with it. I will continue to fight if I have to get an attorney to file a class action against them. I don't think that I am wrong for me to want them to do as promised. I now have a plumbing problem that I was told was covered but nobody will call me back.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

On 12/29/2020 I called your office because my house furnace had went out. I first called a plumber to come and turn the water off that was coming from the busted heater. After that I called Total Home repair for a tech to come out to look at the busted heater. I was told that it was not covered under the warranty that I had but Total Home Protect does cover $1500 per year toward this type of appliance. Well next I received an email from Sharon Glover that now said your company does not cover furnace replacement/repair. I would like further clarification as to this claim. I am not happy about thinking you covered this appliance then being told that you don't. And I need clear understanding as to why my claim wasn't taken.

Today (January 8, 2021) I get a call from your customer service department soliciting me to sign up with Total Home Protection. Once I told him that I already was a customer, he hung the phone up on me. I look at this as not being polite and very rude. I would like to speak further with someone or I truly will withdraw from your company. I can be reached at **.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

Simon was very professional yet charismatic & helped in every way to get me the best coverage as a Veteran of the United States Navy Seabees. I appreciate it tremendously! He was courteous and genuinely showed that he cared about offering me the best deal.

Total Home Protection Company Information