Call toll free
3.74/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Total Home Protection strives to be the best in the home warranty industry. We have products and services that provide fast and efficient solutions. Total Home Protection promises to go above and beyond to help you get back on your feet. THP offers two plans for you to choose from that work with your budget. Regardless of age, make or model, we will cover repair or replace your covered items. Our technicians are licensed, pre-screened and insured to take care of your replacement or repair. Visit our website today for a free quote!

A-BBB Rating
View More View More

513 Total Home Protection Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I had a problem with my dishwasher and I called THP for assistance. I bought their extended warranty when I moved into my new house. When I called about my dishwasher, William scheduled a tech to come over and fix it. He arrived on time and went to work. About an hour later it was running just great! I recommend this warranty to cover your home appliances.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

After dinner, I went to wash the dishes and as I turned on the garbage disposal a loud clicking noise came from my drain. I called Total Home Protection and spoke with Samuel, who scheduled a tech to come over the next afternoon. He arrived on time and ready to go. He was under the sink for a bit, but the next thing I heard was a very smooth running disposal. My garbage disposal is running perfectly now. I am a very satisfied customer. Thanks THP.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

The thermostat went out in my refrigerator and I called Total Home Protection with my extended warranty. Customer service helped me get a repair person out to replace the thermostat in my refrigerator within a few days. I am so glad I have Total Home Protection, they are always polite and helpful and even called a week later to make sure everything was working properly! Thank you THP!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

They lie on the PO reports so they don't have to pay for repairs. The technician writes one thing and the office changes the diagnosis. Also the technicians have told my tenants they will be back and they don't come back because the claim was denied and they don't even inform the warranty holder.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I am very happy with the customer service department at Total Home Protection. When my heater would not turn on recently, I called THP to use my warranty for service. They arranged for a contractor to come take a look. One of the wires in the attic had been chewed and they were able to fix it. That was a week ago and they just called to check if everything was still working properly and all the repair and checks costs was my deductible. I'm impressed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Do not waste your time with this company. I am filing a complaint with the BBB and am going to contact my AG. I bought this plan at the end of last year. My first issue was my water heater went out. They do not have customer service agents available 24/7 as they advertise -- they have an answering service, as I was told by the person answering the phone on the first call. That is deceptive in my opinion as they act as though your issue will be being worked on immediately. I finally found my own plumber and it took over a month to get reimbursed.

Second call was for a leaking/moving toilet. My husband told them what he thought it was, but my husband isn't a plumber. With the words "moving and leaking" they sent out a Roto-Rooter company who when they came in, said there was nothing they could do. Instead of sending someone else, they just said "we don't fix that" even though it was a part of the plumbing system that was the issue. So we had to pay out of pocket 289.19.

Now, my water heater is out again and over 24 hours after making my first call, they assigned me to a Roto-Rooter. I have three children 3 and under who need hot water so when I called and told them I needed a plumber, they said it could take another 24 hours which it's already been since 10/7 that I called. Now they've assigned me to someone who advertises their services as cellphone repair. I should have just gone with my previous home warranty company. Do not let their gimmicks/sales fool you. I've had nothing but problems with them.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Only 1 Contractor in the area - This company is a complete joke!!! I received this warranty with settlement and what a waste of money! My plumbing is leaking and destroying my downstairs neighbors ceiling, furniture etc. I called to submit the claim and 2 days later (Fri) I received an email from a plumber out of Phila, I live in Wilmington. He stated that he had a job in New Castle on Sat and could call me when he was done to see if I was home. Well, waited most of the day on Sat and no call. Went about my business only to get a call saying "I am out front of your building", I explained that I was not available and then told me he would call on Mon and we could set up something for early AM during the week.

Never heard anything and after I finally emailed him on Wed, he told me I "no showed" him and was cancelling my claim. Back and forth, back and forth with Reps and Supervisors and they told me they only had the 1 plumber and I would have to pay out of pocket and submit a reimbursement form. I live paycheck to paycheck and got the warranty because I can't put out pocket! This company is a joke to say the least. I have contacted a lawyer and he was very interested in my case. KARMA WILL COME AROUND.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

We have decided to contact the Federal Trade Commission and the Attorney General regarding your illegitimate business practices. We have given you every opportunity to pay us for the work we have done for YOUR CLIENT REQUESTED BY YOU! We asked for payment way before 9/20/2018. In fact the bills were faxed to YOU at YOUR REQUEST on 4/20/2018. THE SAME DAY THE WORK WAS COMPLETED. BASED ON ALL YOUR 1 star reviews I see I am not the only one you have tried to get out of paying.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I called THP about my central air unit not working at all. Adam opened a claim for me and scheduled a local contractor for service the next morning. It turns out my low voltage wire was severed. He thinks something little chewed on it. He repaired the wiring and submitted the order ticket to THP. All I had to pay was my deductible to THP. I am very pleased with the great customer service I received from THP. Thanks!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

My heater stopped working last night, I tried call THP for 35 minutes and just kept getting put on hold, I just pushed every button. One guy hung up on me, I finally got ahold of someone and she took my information, but said I had to wait 1-2 days, um it is going to be below zero here tomorrow!!! Not very happy!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Early in the summer, I neglected having an HVAC technician come out to check, clean, and refill my air conditioner. I was caught up in day-to-day life and enjoying my infant grandson and daughter-in-law during their extended visit. Well, Murphy’s Law punished me sufficiently for my negligence by causing my unit to stop working on one of the hottest days of the year. I speculated the chances of getting an HVAC tech out to the house quickly during the heatwave were low. Visualizing the worst case scenario of my special guests sweltering under the ineffective breeze of window fans, I was ready to start calling family and friends to take them in until I remembered my home warranty with Total Home Protection.

When I called their Claims Department, the last thing I expected was a repairman dispatched to my house the next day. But, that’s exactly what I got. The Claims people were patient, helpful, and went out of their way to get me through the process smoothly and effortlessly. The technician was skillful, fast, and soon had my unit cleaned, refilled, and up and running. What made the experience even better was it only cost me my low deductible for everything! This home warranty is great and recommended!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Purchased this warranty May 2018. In July 2018 had a claim on a/c which was told they did not have a contractor in the area. Then September 2018 contacted them about furnace issue. These people are complete liars. They said my claim was denied because my unit was low on Freon! Let me remind you it is a gas furnace. Then they said it would not be approved because maintenance was not done and the unit leaked. Once again it is a gas furnace. Then I told them I have a copy of the invoice sent to them and I knew they were lying and did not want to fulfill their contract. The man had the audacity to ask me how they were not fulfilling their contract. We the consumers who have been ripped off by this company should file a class action lawsuit against them. Be careful dealing with them. They are liars and ripoffs.

Updated on 10/11/2018: I have been at this for two weeks trying to get my furnace repaired. Once again another set of lies from Total Home Protection. I was given a fake email address for the mediation department. I wished there was a way to post pictures of my furnace on this site. Now they claim my motherboard to the furnace was damaged by water. The water supply is below the motherboard so that is not possible. They even recommended to me to hire another repair technician to come out and inspect my furnace after their technician already reported it needed replaced. I requested a refund of money paid to them and refused. Do not buy from them.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you contacting us with the above referenced review. We at Total Home Protection treat each review with the utmost respect and use this feedback to better serve our valued customers. Understandably there are two sides to every story and always look for a fair resolution between all parties.

The consumer placed a claim for a Heating system not heating on 9/17/2018. We received a diagnosis stating the vendor found the unit was leaking refrigerant causing the compressor to fail. We advised the consumer, who advised the AC was never fixed but this was a heating issue. We proceeded to contact the vendor back to clarify, who informed us that the evaporator coil was frozen and leaked onto the furnace board causing it to short out. Per our policy this failure is excluded from coverage. Please see the referenced section of the policy below;

VII. GENERAL LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY

D. This Agreement covers only repairs and/or replacements due to mechanical failure attributable to ordinary wear and tear. Accordingly, the Agreement does not cover failures which may result from other causes, such as without limitation abuse; misuse and/or neglect; lack of maintenance; rust and/or corrosion; noise without a related mechanical failure; chemical or sedimentary build up; lightning strikes; missing parts; animal, pet and/or pest damage; power failure; power surge; fire; casualty; acts of God; structural and/or property damage; flood; smoke; earthquake; freeze damage; accidents; war; acts of terrorism; nuclear explosion, reaction, radiation or radioactive contamination; insurrection; riots; vandalism; or intentional destruction of property. This Agreement does not cover mechanical failures resulting directly or indirectly from or caused by mold, mildew, mycotoxins, fungus, bacteria, virus, condensation, and/or wet or dry rot regardless of the source, origin, or location and any other cause or event contributing concurrently or in any sequence to the mechanical failure.

All claims have been properly serviced in accordance with the Service Agreement - all contracts have inclusions as well as exclusions. We are committed to providing a positive customer experience and doing the right thing for all our customers, contractors, employees, and our company.

We at Total Home Protection have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. If you have any further questions, please contact us at 1-800-545-0402.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Let my testimony be fair warning, Total Home Protection will rip you off. You may think that you're saving money but in reality, you're not. I had a clogged kitchen sink and the drain pipe was leaking. They refused the claim saying the leak was caused by the pipe rusting according to the plumber they sent to diagnose it. I told them the pipe is PVC which is plastic and plastic doesn't rust. After a week, they responded that the claim was refused due to the leak being caused by corrosion. I told them again the pipe is PVC and that PVC doesn't corrode. After another week they responded back and refused the claim saying that the leak was caused by outside sources. They couldn't give me the name of the outside source, they couldn't give me any evidence of an outside source and they couldn't give me an example of an outside source. Please save yourself the time, trouble and money by going someplace else.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Am beyond pleased with the service I received from THP! My ice maker stopped working and I called THP and explained the issue. I was sure that I was going to have to buy another refrigerator, but they simply asked for a good time for them to send a worker to come out and take a look. A serviceman came over and he was very professional, promptly took care of the repair, and made sure it was working properly before he left! Thank you THP for providing me with the best warranty.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I enrolled in the home warranty program after asking lots of questions. The representative said I could get a refund after speaking with my husband if we decided we didn't want the warranty. I enrolled in the program on 8/31/18 and canceled the policy on 9/1/18. It is now 9/28/18 and I am still waiting for a refund. I called today for the second time checking on the status of my refund and the representative said the refund was processed on 9/4/18 and can take 30 days for a check to be issued and then another 10 days to reach me. My impression was when I purchased the warranty on 8/31/18 by credit card that my refund would be applied back to my card. They never said it would be issued back to me in a check. No wonder it is taking forever to receive my money. If you decide to cancel your policy, expect to wait 45 days before you see your money. Not a great way to do business.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Just my luck, my dryer went out days before my vacation. I started to panic thinking I was going to have to replace my dryer (which would cut into my vacation money lol). Then my husband reminded me of our Total Home Protection plan. I decided to give them a call and see why they could do. The woman I spoke to was very nice. She told me we were covered under our plan, and set an appointment for someone to come look at it. The man she sent was very professional, he fixed the dryer rather quickly. Now it’s back working and the best part we only had to pay our deductible!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I paid hundreds of dollars for this warranty. I called today and told the lady that my pipes were making a noise when I turn on the bathroom water. She must of asked me 5 different times in 5 different ways what the problem was so I kept explaining until I said the word "Pressure". She said OK that was it and placed the claim. She said I would get an email with the info for the Tech to come out. An hour later I get a call that the claim is denied because they don't cover water pressure??? I explained that my water pressure is fine, my pipes are not backed up it just makes a sound or a whistle. I thought the point was to pay $60 bucks have someone come out and diagnose the issue and then let me know what the problem was and then we see if it is covered? They said no I had to specify first what the issue is. If I knew the issue I would fix it and not need you guys. What a freaking scam. Nothing but a scam and now the fight to get a refund.

Total Home Protection response
The consumer placed a claim for a plumbing system on 9/27/2018 stating there was a sound or whistle. Whistling that occurs when a faucet is turned on, or when a toilet tank is refilling after flushing. Whistling sounds develop whenever water flows rapidly past or through a narrow restriction or an obstruction. This often happens inside a faucet when the washer has been distorted or when the brass screw that holds the washer in place is loose. Per our policy this failure is excluded from coverage. We advise the consumer of non covered failures so that a service charge fee is not paid unneccesarily. Failure of the faucet or water pressure is not covered as listed under the policy. Please see the referenced section of the policy below;
F. Plumbing System and Stoppage
Note: Mainline stoppages are only covered if there is an accessible ground level clean out.
COVERED: Leaks and breaks of water, drain, gas, waste or vent lines, except if caused by freezing or roots; toilet tanks, bowls and mechanisms within the toilet tank (replaced with builder’s grade as necessary); toilet wax ring seals; valves for shower, tub, and diverter angle stops, rinses and gate valves; permanently installed interior sump pumps; built-in bathtub whirlpool motor and pump assemblies; stoppages and/or clogs in drain and sewer lines up to 100 feet from access point. Repair and finish of any walls or ceilings where it is necessary to break through to effect repair is only covered to the following extent: repair of walls or ceilings to rough finish up to $500 per claim. Rough finish is defined to include hanging of drywall, patching of drywall, stucco, and lath. Repair to rough finish does not include supplies or labor for paint, sanding, wall texture, wallpaper and/or tile work.
NOT COVERED: All plumbing in or under the ground, foundation or slab; all piping and plumbing outside of the perimeter of the foundation; any piping or plumbing in a detached structure; stoppage of concrete encased lines; any fees for locating, accessing or installing cleanouts; removal of water closets/toilets in order to clear stoppages, any fees for photo/video equipment, hydro-jetting equipment; jet or steam clearing; chemicals; stoppages caused by root invasion; stoppages caused by foreign objects, such as but not limited to, sanitary wipes, toys, bottle caps, etc.; bath tubs; toilet lids and seats; sinks; cracked porcelain; basket and strainers; pop-up assemblies; tub waste overflow; glass; bidets; electronic toilets/bidets; caulking or grout; color or purity of the water in the system; concrete encased plumbing; conditions of insufficient or excessive water pressure; conditions of water flow restriction due to scale, rust, sediment, and other deposits; exterior hose bibs; faucets and fixtures; water softeners; freeze damage; holding and pressure tanks; jet pumps; laundry tubs; lawn sprinkler systems; saunas and/or steam systems; polybutylene or quest piping; galvanized drain lines; drum traps; flange; repair and finish of any floors where it is necessary to break through to effect repairs; septic tanks and systems in or outside of the home; sewage ejector pumps; sewer and water laterals; shower enclosures and base pans. We will pay no more than $500 per contract term for access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I have had a plumbing job, not repaired by Total Home Protection. Estimates from two plumbers confirmed a venting problem and the need to snake the pipes. THP did not approve either action because the drain was slow but the sink did not remain clogged. I am paying out-of-pocket for the repair and no longer contact THP for my plumbing issues.

Now, I have a Central Heating/Air problem that they cannot resolve. Called 9/19 for service; unit went out evening of 9/18. Contractor never called and never answered calls to schedule service between 9/21-9/23 (after 48 hour contact window). Called THP on 9/24 for vendor to be reassigned and requested email address, so I could contact vendor if s/he did not call me. Morning of 9/26 called THP again, as no one contacted me to schedule service. THP representative explained that the claim had not been reassigned, but she was requesting reassignment now. Afternoon of 9/26, a new contractor called to schedule service; his earliest appointment, 10/1 -- which would have me with no AC/Heating unit for 12 days! Why could THP not expedite my request? Why could they not identify a vendor who could schedule me by 9/28 or 9/29? This company seems to only be interested in getting your money, without providing service.

Total Home Protection response
The consumer placed a claim for a plumbing stoppage on 4/10/2018. The diagnosis concluded that there was no stoppage in the kitchen but an issue with the faucet in the bathroom. Per our policy this failure is clearly excluded from coverage. Please see the referenced section of the policy below;
F. Plumbing System and Stoppage
A claim was placed on 5/18/2018 for an electrical issue stating the outlet was not working. The diagnosis was that there was a short in the wire to the GFI in the kitchen, which we approved to be replaced.
A claim for the Air Conditioner not coming on was placed 9/19/2018. The diagnosis submitted was the drain line was clogged and needed to be cleared. As per the policy, drain line stoppages are not covered as they are a maintenance issue.
A. Air Conditioning System
Note: Coverage available on Air Conditioning units up to a 5-ton capacity, and for residential use only.
COVERED: Mechanical parts and components of two (2) ducted electric central air conditioning systems. All components and parts for units below 13 SEER and/or R-22 equipment, and when we are unable to facilitate repair and/or replacement of failed covered equipment at the current SEER rating or with R-22 equipment, repair and/or replacement will be performed with 13 SEER/R410A equipment and/or 7.7 HSPF or higher compliant, except:
NOT COVERED: Filters; condenser casings; registers and grills; water towers; humidifiers; chillers; electronic air cleaners; window units; non-ducted wall units; mini-split wall units; gas air conditioning systems; water evaporative coolers; swamp coolers; condensate pumps; thermal expansion valves; all exterior condensing, cooling and pump pads; disconnect boxes; roof mounts, jacks, stands or supports; cost for crane rentals; electronic, computerized, and manual systems management and zone controllers; commercial grade equipment; refrigerant conversion; leak detections; water leaks; drain line stoppages or drain pans; maintenance; rusted and/or corroded coils; component short to ground; noise without a related mechanical failure; improperly sized units; air conditioning with mismatched condensing unit and evaporative coil per manufacturer specifications; improper use of metering devices (i.e. thermal expansion valves). We are not responsible for the costs associated with matching dimensions, brand or color made. We will not pay for any modifications or upgrades necessitated by the repair of existing equipment or the installation of new equipment. We will pay up to $10 per pound per occurrence for refrigerant. You are responsible for payment of any costs in excess of $10 per pound.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Recently, we had quite a storm. I noticed what looked like a water spot on the ceiling. Since I have an extended warranty with Total Home Protection, I called to file a claim. Amanda was very nice and arranged for a service contractor to come over. James was on time and very nice. He hopped right up and found a small hole where some shingles blew off. He fixed the hole and replaced the shingles. Thanks!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

The garbage disposal broke down, got burned, and wasn’t working. At the time, I kinda forgot about Total Home Protection and thinking I was without insurance. I was on my way to Lowe's to get one of those, then while I was checking my phone and checking out an email from another company’s conversation, I realized that I have an insurance. So I called Total Home and it worked. I spoke to one of their agents then they sent put a tech who fixed it. It was pretty good. I didn’t know who they hired but he was very professional. I never used an insurance before and I’m so happy because Total Home responded really quickly and they were very helpful. You never know when you’re gonna use the insurance but I’m glad I did because if something happens, Total Home will be there for me.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I am so glad that I purchased the extended home warranty from Total Home Protection when we moved in to our newly purchased home. When my refrigerator stopped cooling, I called THP to open a claim on my extended warranty. Nick at customer service was very nice and arranged for a technician to come and check it out. John, the service tech, arrived the next morning and jumped right in. He worked his magic and the fridge was cooling again. Thanks THP.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I tried to wash my dishes in the dishwasher washer but it kept making churning noises and it would not fill with water. I tried repeatedly. Since I have an extended warranty with THP, I called to open a claim. Barbara was really nice and arranged for a contractor to come over the next afternoon. He arrived on time and started working on the dishwasher. He was able to clear out the lines and the dishwasher began working fine again. I only had to pay my deductible. Thanks!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I spoke with a good representative from Total Home Protection when I submitted a plumbing claim over the phone. However, the guy who came out was awfully dirty. He left his mess after he finished and the clean-up was terrible. Still, he did the job. Since the repair, my plumbing has been fine.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

OMG I wish I would've believed the negative reviews I read before choosing these guys. I finally chose them when closing on my house because they were a little cheaper, and at the last moment said “sure, we will cover that”. Just to get my money. They cover NOTHING. They will not honor ANY agreement. There is a Loophole they produce for EVERYTHING you try to claim. There is NO negotiation, NOTHING. They obviously spend plenty on their website, and their phone hold music and message, which you will hear A LOT when you call. They have NO service suppliers in my area, AUSTIN TX. None. To work on regular appliances, or AC, or plumbing, or electrical. Didn't matter because they have found ** reasons to NOT even try to honor my claim. FOUR TIMES.

On the phone the hood folk answering are rude, offensive, hang up on you. They have people obviously pretending to be managers that all but laugh at you when you try to understand their thievery. It is obvious this company is NOT a serious service company. And it is obvious that they are content to collect one $500 yearly fee per homeowner, because I cannot imagine that ANYBODY that has had ANY actual claims contact with these people would EVER repeat as a customer. My year ends soon, and after four (4) failed, VALID attempts to get repairs on VALID, covered items, I assure you Total Home Protection will not get another penny from me. Good luck if you don't believe me. I for one do not believe a single one of the “testimonials” they have on their site. Or here.

The policy was purchased on 3/19/2018. As per the policy
II. TERM
Coverage starts 30 days after acceptance of application by us and receipt of applicable Agreement fees and continues for 365 days from that date. We reserve the right to waive the 30-day grace period so long as you provide proof or prior coverage, showing no lapse of coverage, from another home service provider. Waiving of the 30-day waiting period is at the sole discretion of us.
The consumer called in the first claim on 3/19/2018 and the second claim on 3/26/2018. We advised the consumer the policy was not in effect yet.
A claim for a microwave not shutting off was placed on 9/16/2018. We received the diagnosis from the vendor that the control board relay was stuck. It was determined that this was a countertop unit which is not covered under the policy as per below;
K. Built-In Microwave
COVERED: All mechanical components and parts, except:
NOT COVERED: Doors; hinges; handles; glass; knobs; lights; clocks (unless they affect the cooking function of the unit); meat probe assemblies, rotisseries; racks and trays; interior linings; arcing; portable or counter top units.
We sincerely apologize for your negative experience but unfortunately the unit being a countertop unit is excluded from coverage.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

My water heater was not working properly, so I called Total Home Protection so they could help me. This is covered under my extended warranty. William arranged for a contractor to come over and check it out. Apparently the pilot light was not working and had to be replaced. He fixed it! Now I can take a shower and do the dishes with warm water. Thank you Total Home Protection.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

After I filed a claim with Total Home Protect I got an email that said I had to call a certain certain plumber and when I called the plumber said, “I no longer work with that company anymore, so I'm not gonna be able to help you.” I called back again and said, “Hey, you guys gave me an incorrect company. They no longer work with you guys.” So they sent me this other company. The rep was very efficient and helpful. She was very nice. Plus the tech she sent was very helpful. He said he was very busy at the moment, but he was gonna make some time to meet me as soon as he could. He called me an hour after and said, “Yeah. I'm on my way over there.” The water of the tub wasn’t going down and I couldn’t take out the strainer so he has to go over there and fix it for me. He did an awesome job and did it really fast too. I was really happy with Total Protect and I would tell my friends about it.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

We recently purchased Total Home Protection. We had it for 2 months when the AC went out. The technician came out and told us the company REQUIRED a leak test which they would not pay for. ($110) So I'm already out $60 for service call and $110 for a leak test. The AC unit is 12 years old. The company denied the claim due to "Section 7 part D that states if there is rust or corrosion then the claim will be denied." What a joke. While on the phone they asked if I had maintained the unit. When speaking to my technician he stated that my type of problem would not have been part of the normal maintenance and because an AC unit is metal and AC units sweat there will always be rust.

I would caution anyone thinking about purchasing a policy from this company. According to my technician all AC units will have some rust. (Unless it's brand new.) With that type of clause in their policy they will always be able to deny your claim. They even offered to give me a refund on my policy and "just walk away." The part was quoted by their technician for $2200 or a new unit for $9000. Of course they want to give me my money back of approximately around $400. That would be a cheap way of getting rid of me and my policy. The sad thing is that after looking at many other reviews they state the same thing. Do not buy this warranty you will probably end up regretting it!!!

Total Home Protection response
The consumer placed a claim for a Air Conditioner not cooling on 8/28/2018. The diagnosis concluded that the cause of the failure was a freon leak due to rust/corrosion on the evaporator coil. Per our policy this failure is excluded from coverage. Please see the referenced section of the policy below;
I. BASIS FOR COVERAGE
A. Air Conditioning System
In an effort to provide good customer service we offered $400.00 good will or a full refund. We are still awaiting a decision from the customer.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

We were one of their PREFERRED CONTRACTORS. We were dispatched to go to one of their clients home 60 miles away to check the swimming pool pumps that were not working. We were advised that there was another pool company who did a repair and it was botched and we were asked to go fix it. They agreed to the 90.00 service call. Upon tech's arrival and diagnosis we called into THP for approval to fix right then and there so they would not have another service call. The phone went unanswered. We then called the homeowner. He said he wanted it fixed and to make the repair and he would handle THP.

Later that afternoon when the tech arrived back at the office he called THP and he spoke to MIKE and GIL explained the situation. They told him to fax the bill over and they would take care of it not to worry... Now they decide they are not paying for the work stating not authorized. Now we cannot even get the service call paid for... This is a company we have cut all ties to. We do not operate like this.

Total Home Protection response
Although not a preferred vendor, with only 3 claims assigned, we assigned this vendor to a claim on 4/20/2018. Work was performed without authorization, as per the Contractors Application II DUTIES section G.
As per section V. INVOICING & PAYMENT section B, invoices must be received by us within 30 days of job completion. We received notification on 9/20/2018 for payment.

All claims have been properly serviced in accordance with the Contractor Application - all contracts have inclusions as well as exclusions. We are committed to providing a positive customer experience and doing the right thing for all our customers, contractors, employees, and our company.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

My family switched to this provider in June 2018 after 8-plus years of consecutive coverage with a competitor. Enticed with broader coverage with lower service call deductibles, we took the plunge and switched. Oh what a nightmare. We waited the required and understandable 30-day waiting period before coverage applies. We purchased their contact 06/09/18. We cancelled the prior warranty 07/10/18, effective 07/11/18. Sadly, we were struck by a pair of claims, 1 to our dishwasher and the other to our air conditioning coil in August 2018. Both claims were denied by the company without any written evidence to substantiate their claims. Requests to invoke mediation clauses and second opinion clauses of the policy contract were ignored. Their service contractors' written diagnoses of the problems did not reconcile with their verbal allegations. We have incurred $3100 in costs for the replacement of these items.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Total Home Protection has been a lifesaver to say the least. I had an issue with my air conditioning completely going out in the middle of August in this humid Midwestern heat. THP came to rescue within a very short period of time as they sent a licensed certified technician out to my home. The relief of knowing that no matter what large appliance breaks down, THP has my back and is a blessing for me and my children. The 24 hour service is so convenient and now I never have to worry again. The technician was super fast and my air conditioning is running better than ever before and all it cost me was my deductible. Thank you THP.

Total Home Protection expert review by Michele Lerner

Total Home Protection (THP) provides warranty plans for homeowners, real estate agents and home sellers. THP offers two plans as well as additional coverage so homeowners can choose the protection they need.

• No limit on age, make or model: The appliances covered by THP warranties are eligible for repair or replacement, no matter their age, make or model.

• Free month: Consumers can try one of Total Home Protection’s single payment home warranty plans for a month, for free, to see how they can benefit from it.

• Claims hours: Total Home Protection has 24/7 claims service, so customers can file a claim as soon as a system or appliance malfunctions.

• Service providers: THP’s Servicing Guidelines are available on the website, and they include proof of licensing, insurance minimums and the expectation that each contractor will make a service appointment no more than four hours after receiving a work order.

• Work guarantee: THP has a 90 day guarantee on parts and 30 day guarantee on labor for work performed by their contractors. If a problem occurs within the guaranteed period, the company will send another provider to repair it without charging a second service fee.

• Best for: homeowners, homebuyers and realtors.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Total Home Protection Company Information