Call toll free
3.64/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Total Home Protection strives to be the best in the home warranty industry. We have products and services that provide fast and efficient solutions. Total Home Protection promises to go above and beyond to help you get back on your feet. THP offers two plans for you to choose from that work with your budget. Regardless of age, make or model, we will cover repair or replace your covered items. Our technicians are licensed, pre-screened and insured to take care of your replacement or repair. Visit our website today for a free quote!

A-BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Total Home Protection works with pre-screened, licensed and local technicians. Satisfied customers appreciate that there are no claim limits, and consumers can get coverage regardless of how old their home is.

PROS

• Quick dispatch of contractors
  • Technicians arrive on time and perform thorough work
  • Friendly and helpful customer service
  • Representatives follow up with a call to ensure everything is still working properly
  • Easy to submit claims

CONS

• Contractor expertise can vary
  • Some homeowners experience customer service delays

572 Total Home Protection Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Total Home called me the next day in response to my claim submission online and they told me who they were gonna have to call me. That person didn’t call right away, but I called them. The guy told me he did something and lost my number, so he was glad I called back. He came out that day and didn’t take too long to get the job done. I’ve always been with American Home Shield and I have the same type of experiences with them, so considering Total Home's deductible is only $50 where my other one was $75 and the overall fees are less, people should check it out.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I had protection on my rental home the first year and they wanted me to renew with them. They went up an additional $250, so I didn’t use them at all. So, I researched and went online and started making calls and Total Home Protection had the same thing that the other company offered me in the beginning. So I decided to go with them.

I filed a claim with them when my renter said that the garbage disposal was inoperable. The contractor that went out told me that he is going to contact Total Home Protection because there was so much damage done to that garbage disposal that if you took it apart and rebuild it, it would be cheaper just to install a new one. He got verification from Total Home Protection to go ahead install a new one.

When he was done, he called me for the $65 service charge and to let me know that noticed that there was something wrong with the pipe and when he put the garbage disposal on and ran the water, it was leaking. The contractor could not fix the leak because he was not a plumber, so I called Total Home Protection and asked to send a plumber. They said they won’t charge me another $65 as it was for the same issue. They sent Madison Plumbing and the plumber never got back to me. I called Madison and according to them, the plumber didn’t see any leaking and that there’s nothing wrong with the pipe. I don’t like the fact that they didn’t get back with me, it’s not a very bad thing, but it would help them better if they did follow-up calls.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Got a fairly old central heating and air system in my home. Turned the heat on a couple of weeks ago because the nights are getting cold and heard a pop come from somewhere. Needless to say, the heat no longer worked. Called Total Home Protection and they sent a electrical contractor out the next day and even though the guy didn't have the part on hand with him, he left and came back with the part within an hour. Another hour after that and my heat was back on. Another half hour after that? My house was nice and toasty warm and didn't cost me anything. Total thumbs up for Total Home Protection.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I went with a different company at first and they weren’t accepting people that didn’t have a refinanced or a new home. So, I went to the internet and went to Total Home Protection since they were my best fit. I have been with them for six months and so far, I've done a claim for a toilet that was making a funny noise. When I called it in, it was hard because the rep checked on me. He said they wouldn't accept it and I didn't qualify for it. So, I asked what I bought. I was already frustrated and then finally, he worked with me and put my claim in. The techs were able to fix the toilet but I didn't like that I had to wait 24 hours before somebody called and had the tech come out to me. Nevertheless, the toilet is working fine now and so I'm satisfied with Total Home Protection.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I own and operate an appliance repair company, and I just had to sever my business relationship with Total Home Protection. Been working with them for a couple years now, but now they want me to sign a contract that involves a few things I am unwilling to comply with, including waiving my right to a jury trial. Nope. Goodbye. To add a few more details, this contract would have required me to provide 60-90 days warranty on the repair. Many of the parts required for repairs only have 30 days warranty. Some are only 14 days. Which means if the part failed after that, it would be out of my pocket, but not theirs.

Here's what really irks me: I have 3 completed jobs in the queue, awaiting payment, which normally are sent out 30 days after completion of the job. However, now that they're closing my account with them, everything in my account is suspended pending review for 90 days including those payments. I have to wait 3 months, for payments for work that I've already completed. Folks, home warranty companies might be convenient for customers, but vendors like me get shafted.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I have been with Total Home Protection for over a year now. Every time I had a visit, their pay was only $49. I have them on two addresses because I have a rental. When I have a claim, I call in and tell them what’s wrong and then, they send a person over. Sometimes, when I call Total Home, they’re not open 24/7. Also, the person that they call doesn’t bother calling me and I have to call them back to get their number. It depends upon the company they hire to do the job. Some companies are right on time and some aren’t but it’s not Total Home Protection’s fault. Recently, the company that worked on my AC did a great job and they called me right away as soon as they got the claim. They then set up an appointment and got the issue handled. The contractor-technicians were very nice and I enjoyed them. They explained to me what was wrong and they said that they fix a lot of AC issues.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Total Home sent a contractor to solve the problem. Service worker said it would take a search and solve to find out the problem with the breaker switch. He reported the problem to Total Home. Total Home informed me I would have to pay the technician to search for the problem. They did not cover the problem solving only the defective part. I have been their customer for 2 years and never had a claim until now. I am no longer their customer. I paid for nothing for two years.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Home warranties are something that is new to me. I had no idea there is a service contract that covers essential applications and home system components when they break down due to normal wear and tear. I am happy to be a customer of Total Home Protection now, especially after they have successfully done a few repairs in my home in the year I've been with them and I have not had any issues with those repairs yet. Not only are they more costly, but they do a fine, efficient job in filing claims and actually getting repairs done.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Total Home Protection is the best. I experienced an issue with my water line that goes into my refrigerator to make ice and dispense water. Let's just say I had a giant ice cube in my freezer that was leaking everywhere. My fridge was done for. A quick call to THP and everything was taken care of, they replaced the fridge, fixed the water supply line, and even made the repairs to the water line in the wall so that it wouldn't randomly spew water everywhere. Just for the cost of my deductible. Thank you THP!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Did not cover failure of our oven or stove-top 4 weeks before Thanksgiving when both stopped working. Isn't this the entire reason to have a service like this. They claimed there is no way these two separate systems could have failed at same time. They offered to ONLY compensate us for $200, which is almost 10% of the cost to replace just my stove-top with the downdraft and that it would take 15 - 30 days to process. Doesn't help much, but at least at that point hopeful that it could help. After 6 weeks went by, we never received a check. Called in today to inquire about it, to be told it was finally sent 2 days ago and it's not their policy or obligation to notify anyone if something is behind schedule. Was told verbatim by a supervisor, "We don't do that, that's not our responsibility".

Asked for some form of small compensation, hell an offer of $5 off next service fee would have sufficed, was told they don't do that and wouldn't do that. Wow, so not only did I have to pay the whole cost of a new oven and installation, now 90% of the cost for a new stove-top and it's installation, but my customer service thinks so little of me, even after I pay them for a service, that I'm not worth their time of day to help. I will NEVER use this group again. In fact, I will not make sure that everyone I know is informed about this poor service to hopefully save them from going through the same hardship we just encountered. My advice, save yourself! I'd pay 4 times what I paid these thieves if only I could get a group that actually covers me when something goes wrong. If not, I'd save my money and hope it's enough when the next failure occurs.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

They denied coverage on my gas-fired water heater on the basis that they do not respond to problems with the tank comprising the water. The policies say as respects water heaters "all components"... and then lists exceptions which include storage tanks. I pointed out that the water heater is not a storage tank but a pressure vessel for heating the water. They then brought up that they would not cover the water heater because the tank is a passive element and not subject to wear and tear which is covered --preposterous! I am pursuing the matter with the California Department of Insurance and they advised that the company does not have a current license with the Department.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I used to call a toll-free number to submit a claim and typically, it goes well. However, the two times that I’ve called Total Home Protection, they submitted it to a vendor who has since called me back saying that they didn’t have a contract with them and I was curious about that. I called Total Home back and told them what the vendors told me and they got it fixed. The second vendor came out and resolved the issue to my satisfaction. The people at Total Home were good and for the admissions, they came on strong, which I would expect from a sales organization. Once you get past sales, they were not as responsive but I was pleased because I got what I paid for.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Total Home Protection's warranty has been a cost effective way to cover repairs in our house. Our deductible is less than $100 which makes it easy for us to call in for repairs because it doesn't necessarily cause a monetary strain. Pretty good customer support team, very helpful and understanding when it comes to filing things on time. Pretty happy with their service so far.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

This is my first experience with Total Home Protection and l must say that l am highly satisfied with their services. I just can’t believe what l experienced when l contacted them to come and help me repair my water heater. I was surprisingly amazed with the way they arrived on time and the level of professionalism the contractor displayed. I felt very happy because it took them a very short time to repair the heater. These guys are extremely the best in delivering quality services. I highly recommend this company to everyone out there.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I put in 2 claims on November 15, 2018. One for my heater not heating and one for my ice/water dispenser on my fridge. It is now November 27, 2018 and neither of them are fixed!! After multiple phone calls to the claims department, the heater technician finally came on the 26th. Go figure, it is too cold to completely diagnose my problem so my family and I continue to sit in our home of 66 degrees and it freezing outside in the 30s at night. It took the warranty company 11 days until they could find a tech to come out!! As far as my fridge, I tried contacting the tech's number. They gave me 2 different times and each time he told me he had not received any claim info from the company. I call the warranty company back again today and now they want to tell me it is not covered!!

When I was researching warranty companies back in March, I specifically asked the customer service rep if this was covered without additional coverage and was told yes. Now they say it's not covered at all. It has taken them almost 2 weeks after the initial claim to tell me this??!! When I spoke to their supervisors and resolution team, they have attitudes and treat you like a child. Then when I ask for a full refund on my policy since I have never used it until now, the resolution guy wants to give me the whole "I'll be happy to cancel your policy and give you a pro-rated refund"!! He then just keeps telling me "well, the heater tech is there now, what else would you like me to do"?? How about fix my problems in a timely manner!!?? Do not use this company. It's a waste of your money. They do not fix anything and the customer service is a joke!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Do not use Total Home Warranty. We had to replace a heater motor and motherboard, but they covered only the motherboard. We had to pay for the heater motor because they said that the motor failure was a secondary repair. This just seems like a way to take advantage of the homeowner, and very unfair. Before this, when our garage door failed, they would not cover the repair at all.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My first claim with Total Home Protection was for the air conditioning and it was easy to submit it. The representatives are really kind, nice, and handle the problem very fast. The guy who came to do the repair was really nice and professional too. Now, the air conditioner is working well. Total Home is very efficient and they handle things at the first time.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

When a service technician came out to work on our oven display apparently my wife said it failed earlier in the week. Neither one of us knew exactly when the display failed but they put a date on it. They made it 1 day too early to claim (convenient huh?). Now I find that my ice maker is not covered either. PS I received my contract with coverage information about 30 days after I signed up. I strongly encourage any prospective buyer to go elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I changed over to Total Home since they're cheaper for repairs and they get a technician out the same day. I just give them a call and their reps are very polite. However, I had a bad experience with a technician because it took him a month and a half and he still couldn't repair the stove. He said he had the parts back-ordered, and I ended up calling Total Home back to let them know that I still didn't have my stove replaced or repaired. They put another technician on it, and then he came out the next day. He said that it was irreparable, and he emailed me and said that I needed to call them. Once I called them, they said that they needed to replace the stove. I still don’t have my stove, and Total Home said they had to cut a check because the repairman could not repair it. But as far as my AC goes, the tech comes right on time.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I went to turn the heat on after using the air condition all summer and the heater wouldn't come on. I called Total Home Protection and filed a claim. The rep explained the situation and gave the tech my address and number. I got an email back about when somebody would be coming to fix it. The tech was here and found out that it needed a new thermostat. He fixed the heater in 20 minutes and it had been working fine since.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I’m a 90-year old guy who has been through a lot of repairs. I’m a do-it-yourselfer but at 90, I decided not to do it anymore. I was with Sears for a long time but so far, Total Home Protection is better. Their plan is very good then when I call claims in, the representatives are very good. My first claim was when I had some plumbing problems in the bathrooms and they did well on that. Most recently, I had a claim for the refrigerator which stopped working. But the first contractor turned to not do anything with Total Home Protection so I had to wait for the second company to come out. Total Home Protection had charged me the $60 service fee on the first group. But for the second group, Total Home Protection waived that fee. The contractor had to replace a part and they did a very good job. The refrigerator is working now so I’m happy with that.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

From the day that I called in the claim, it was a total disaster! The company policy states there is a 24/7 assistance to file claims and that is untrue! After we filed the claim, the rep stated that someone would email us within 24/48 hours and no one contacted us to tell us anything about the approval of the claim. We had to contact them only for them to deny the claim due to what they claim was non coverage. There was a plumbing issue and the policy states that plumbing is covered. After reading the policy again fully, we found several flaws and untrue things within the policy. My family lawyer has been contacted regarding this issue.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I've been with THP for one yr. This has got to be the worse and shadiest business ever existed!!! If your appliance breaks down and it's not repairable it has to be replaced. They'll make up some excuse they don't cover that part, when in fact they do. You have to spend hrs and days and weeks fighting with them to replace it. Then they give in, 'cause they know you know they're lying. They'll offer you what it would cost to repair it in parts and labor, now remember the appliance has to be totally replaced. So how does this make sense. I paid $1200 for dishwasher, they gave me a buyout for $140.00. Insane. Now my fridge is broke down and parts are not available and needs to be replaced. It's a $2500.00 fridge. They offered a buyout to replace my $2500 fridge for $124.00, insane right!!!

When I call I'm on hold for hrs and when you finally reach someone they play dumb and keep repeating themselves and lie that they're gonna fix it next day and when nothing happens, I'll call back next day and speak to another liar and loser and they say, "We don't know what you're talking about." I requested to speak to a supervisor and I get some ** fabulous lying person. What they do is pass call from one person to another and not one of them are truly a supervisor and that person name is Beth I spoke with. She'll tell you that she's head of the entire company, no else above her to speak to and decision is final. I hang up and call back.

I get Sharon and there is 7 different Sharons that work there lol... This is to keep us confused and you have to explain everything again 'cause that Sharon is one of the 7 Sharons that work there... Then Sharon transfers me to a guy name Jason. He says he's the top supervisor for the company and I said, "Well Beth said she was the top boss." Jason called me a liar and no matter what I told him Beth said and what's going on, he said I was lying 'cause he was standing beside Beth when she was speaking with me. Well if in fact that's true and he's the top supervisor shouldn't he have taking over the phone call when I kept demanding to speak to a supervisor and the horrible experience I was having as a customer that pays his salary and that keeps Total Home Protection in business!!! He told me to take it or leave it, the $124.00 to replace a $2500.00 fridge!!!

I told him I was gonna put a formal complaint in with the FTC and BBB and Insurance Bureau and CEO and President of company. His tone of voice went down a little, but continued to be a ** especially when I told him I'm gonna get an attorney!!! So the gist and the moral of this horrible experience doing business with this company is THP is as SHADY as they come!!! STAY AWAY FROM TOTAL HOME PROTECTION. THEY WILL RUIN YOUR DAY AND MESS WITH YOUR HEAD AND YOUR LIFE, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!??

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I called Total Home Protection when my central air all of a sudden stopped working. I spoke with Jenny and she opened a claim for me and scheduled a local contractor for service the next morning. It turns out my low voltage wire was old and rusty. The contractor provided me with new wiring and submitted the order ticket to Total Home Protection. All I had to pay was my deductible to the company and I am very pleased with the great customer service I received. Thanks!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

Getting the THP home warranty policy was one of my best decisions this year. Anytime my refrigerator starts acting up, the THP team sends a local contractor, and in few minutes, the problem is resolved. I recommend this company to all home owners because they’re simply the best in dealing with stressed out customers like me. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

So I took out a home warranty on my home. Thought Total Home was the answer. I was very wrong and went to file a claim as our washing machine stopped working on Monday (it's Friday). They said it would take 24-48 hours for them to locate a contractor for us. Ok, I get an email on Wednesday that they found a contractor and gave me the contact info. I call the contractor and they said they don't contract with Total Home Protection. So I call Total Home and speak again to Brandon. He says I need to speak to a supervisor, send me to Joe, Joe's finds it very weird that someone from their company contacted this contractor and spoke to a Jennifer who said they would take the job. Then proceeds to tell me he will have to put me back in cue to find another contractor which could take another 24-48 hours.

I call them again, I get Brandon and he transfers me to Joe again. This time Joe tells me, "Oh you're still in queue, they haven't found anyone yet." I said this was ridiculous and he told me to contact a contractor and they will reimburse up to 100.00 for the service fee. Joe said he was emailing me the form I needed to fill out to get reimbursed as we were speaking. Yup that was at 3:30 this afternoon, still waiting. It is now almost 6:30. I gave up and just went out and bought a washing machine and called them to cancel my policy and they say they have operators 24/7 every day of the week. What a joke and a HUGE SCAM. DO NOT DO ANYTHING WITH THIS COMPANY!!! Other reviews say they don't pay their contractors. No wonder why they are having difficulties.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I am very happy with Total Home Protection. Their pricing is way better than the other warranty I had before. I called them about my garage door not working consistently and Total Home Protection had sent a technician out the very next day. He did the work and sorted out the problem right away. Also he told me to call him if something else happened. I only paid my deductible. I am happy with the timely service I received from Total Home Protection. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I was in the process of seeking home warranty to have protection of my home appliances. I was searching online and came upon Total Home Protection. I seen that they covered a great deal. I found out they repair furnace, water heaters, electrical system, air conditioner, refrigerator, washer and dryer and plumbing system. I saw that I could get a quote online which was perfect! I entered my information and the company contacted me with a surprisingly reasonable quote immediately. I purchased the home warranty and a year later my water heater started leaking. I contacted them and a repairman was dispatched and came to me that next day. It cost me so much less than expected, where a replacement would have been over $1000. If you are in the need of home protection, Total Home Protection is the place to go. You will not regret it, I have not.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Throughout our first call with Total Home Protection, we were captivated with how well the representative knew the ins and outs of her product. We nudged and pushed with some finely tuned questions about the contract, but she remained calm and echoed exactly what we already knew to be true. When reps didn’t have an answer, they quickly assigned us to someone in the claims department who did. We didn’t get this level of treatment anywhere else, which made Total Home Protection the most apparent about what would or wouldn’t be covered in its agreement. Total Home Protection has multiple plans to choose from. You have the flexibility to cover only the devices you wouldn’t attempt to fix yourself. Restrictions make or break a home warranty. We liked that Total Home Protection wasn't so restrictive with their coverage.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I called in to report a claim which was a very easy process. The process became complicated when the name of a first company was sent to me by the agent. After calling the number supplied by the agent in the email for several hours with no answer, I call Total Home Protection a second time. The process started over again with the name and number for a new company. I called the number for the new company and was told by the person who answered the phone that they had no paperwork to set a schedule for the repair. I called Total Home repair a third time and the agent called the company while I was on the phone. Someone from the company called and scheduled an appointment between 1 and 5 the next day. I had someone to wait at the home for the technician at 4:30. No one called or showed so I called the company to see if there was a problem.

The dispatcher assured me there was no problem and at 8:00 PM that night no one call as showed up to do the repairs. The next day I called Total Home Protection and received the name and number of another company. I called and the person at that company said it would be two days before they would be able to schedule a time for the repair. This was the coldest night in November when the temperature dropped at freezing. I called Total Home Protection back and asked if I could call another company, pay for the services and be reimbursed. The agent on the phone said I could and he would send me an email. He did not so I called Total Home Protection back and they sent me the name of another company. I followed what I did with the other companies and called.

This company scheduled the repairs the next day (Bayou Maintenance, LLC). The thermostat needed to be replaced and Total Home Protection did not approve to replace the thermostat because it was a high-end dual gas thermostat. I paid for the thermostat and used the same company because I did not want the family in my rental property to go another night without heat on one side of the home. However, Bayou South Mechanical, LLC called and I paid for the thermostat and was not told they would charge me a card service fee. This was my mistake because I did not ask. I had not paid a card service before and did not ask that question. The company overcharged me for the thermostat because I called to get the price after it was installed because it was not the same thermostat that was installed when the home was built.

I understood that thermostat was discontinued after calling to get the correct price for the thermostat, the labor was over $250.00. I have since requested an itemized invoice. The invoice sent through the email was not itemized with the price of the thermostat or the labor. I am suggesting to be aware of Total Home Protection as a home warranty company and do not use Bayou South Mechanical Services without ensuring that all information is given up front. Do not trust what you hear. I get that companies are in the business to make money but being honest does not cost money. Be smart, I was not. I hope that I am helping someone else.

Total Home Protection expert review by Michele Lerner

Total Home Protection (THP) provides warranty plans for homeowners, real estate agents and home sellers. THP offers two plans as well as additional coverage so homeowners can choose the protection they need.

• No limit on age, make or model: The appliances covered by THP warranties are eligible for repair or replacement, no matter their age, make or model.

• Free month: Consumers can try one of Total Home Protection’s single payment home warranty plans for a month, for free, to see how they can benefit from it.

• Claims hours: Total Home Protection has 24/7 claims service, so customers can file a claim as soon as a system or appliance malfunctions.

• Service providers: THP’s Servicing Guidelines are available on the website, and they include proof of licensing, insurance minimums and the expectation that each contractor will make a service appointment no more than four hours after receiving a work order.

• Work guarantee: THP has a 90 day guarantee on parts and 30 day guarantee on labor for work performed by their contractors. If a problem occurs within the guaranteed period, the company will send another provider to repair it without charging a second service fee.

• Best for: homeowners, homebuyers and realtors.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Total Home Protection Company Information