Call toll free
3.55/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Total Home Protection strives to be the best in the home warranty industry. We have products and services that provide fast and efficient solutions. Total Home Protection promises to go above and beyond to help you get back on your feet. THP offers two plans for you to choose from that work with your budget. Regardless of age, make or model, we will cover repair or replace your covered items. Our technicians are licensed, pre-screened and insured to take care of your replacement or repair. Visit our website today for a free quote!

A-BBB Rating
View More View More

666 Total Home Protection Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

When my ex-husband and I got a divorce, he is the one who suggested that I get a home warranty plan. He is a contractor by trade and so he did all of the repairs in her household. He knew that when he moved, it would be difficult for me to maintain the house as usual. He did all of the legwork in signing me up and I felt confident in the warranty because my ex-husband knows the business well. The warranty has worked out better than I could’ve imagined. When my ex can’t come by because he’s at work or busy, I’m able to get repairs done through Total Home Protection for an affordable price. I am pleased with this service and so lucky that I have a friend like my ex who looks out for me!

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I purchased a Total Home Protection warranty to make maintaining our second home easier. We aren’t at the property frequently, but I feel like whenever we go back to visit, there’s always an issue with something. Last month, it was the second floor plumbing. Having a warranty has made fixing things like this much easier for us because it’s more affordable, we don’t live in the area so finding a repairman is made easier with Total Home Protection and we don’t want to spend all of our time on vacation waiting for a repairman. We never do with Total Home Protection. We have a good history with them. I would recommend them to anyone, for sure.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

The major selling point between Total Home Protection is the access you get to their team of awesome repairmen. They’re all certified and very, very professional guys. I’ve learned a thing or two from just watching them work. I will say, a few times the communication was off between the Total Home Protection reps and I, but I’m sure they’re very busy and I’m not the easiest customer to deal with. Overall, I give them 4 stars.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I used to try to fix everything myself. My husband and I would spend hours watching YouTube videos on repairing simple household items just to save a buck. We ended up spending more time and money and still ended up having to call a repairman. We felt pretty stupid afterwards when my girlfriend told me that there were provisions that she and her husband had put into place to avoid exactly what my husband and I were enduring. She sent me information on Total Home Protection and even let me take a look at her warranty contract. It sounded pretty legit and I trusted my girlfriend.

We signed up for the warranty and last week we had our first experience with a Total Home Protection repairman. We needed something simple done: the light above our stove kept glitching. He arrived ready to work and fixed it in 15 minutes. We paid a nominal fee and the whole process of submitting a claim, scheduling, etc. only took less than an hour. I’m happy that I listened to my friends in this regard. My husband and I are in agreement that this was a good decision.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I haven’t been a customer for long but the amount of time and energy I’ve saved so far has been unmatched. Total Home Protection makes the repair process as easy as it should be. I’m a single mother who is busy with my 4 kids and work and I honestly don’t want to have to worry about who is going to fix my oven if it breaks, nor do I want to have to worry about my kids using a broken oven to make a box cake while I’m not home. Thankfully, no need to worry about it because my oven has been fixed to perfection for the cost of just a $45 deductible. It was such an easy process. I’m very impressed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I’m very grateful to Total Home Protection for their service. I had an issue with my electrical plugs that blew a fuse. I had no idea what had happened but based on my description over the phone the agency was able to get someone at my palace quite quickly and they managed to sort everything out on the same day.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Total Home Protection is one of the few companies I have encountered that refrain to show the bureaucracy that companies have and the procedure they apply in their customer service. I’m very grateful for the stellar service that Total Home Protection provides. I got my house back in good shape and I had a pleasant experience during my interaction with the support advisors and the service staff that visited my home.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

The customer service of Total Home Protection is very professional and understanding. I was angry and frustrated, not because of their service but more due to the issue and the inconvenience it caused. I was very rude and loud even though all they did was try and find the best solution for me. They did their job and resolved it all while I was not being the most pleasant. I believe that they are a great company with organized, structured problem-solving. Thank you for all the help.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I had an issue with my heating breaking down this winter and Total Home Protection managed to help get someone at my place to inspect and fix the malfunction in a short time as they knew how curtail it was to maintain the heat in the apartment during the winter. The issue was resolved within a day. Thank you for helping our family stay warm.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I had a wonderful experience with Total Home Protection. They were very patient with me and asked questions until they were satisfied that they knew exactly what the issue was and made sure to address it right away. Based on my needs they were able to provide the best solution. They had someone over as soon as the next day.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

My air conditioner failed. It was working only slowly. I have paid my monthly payments and believed that I had a good home warranty company. When the agent arrived and gave his estimate, Total Home Protection said they would not pay as there was debris in my unit. What appliance or air conditioning unit does not have debris? I am writing to the Attorney General and the BBB... I canceled immediately! They begged me not to and even offered another month 'free!' Free? How is it free, if you do not fix what you say you will? If you are not going to cover something, why don't you come out and see what you are offering as coverage, before having a homeowner believe they are paying for something legit, when they are not?

I called Total Home Protection several times and asked for a statement denying me coverage for my air conditioning going out. The person on the phone was supposed to send me an E-mail, but never did. This is the only e-mail I received and then the service person told me my air conditioning unit was not covered and I would have to come out of pocket to pay for the repair, which still has not been done as of today. Policy #: **. Claim #: **.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I went to visit my uncle recently and he kept telling me about this company, and how easy it has been for him to get repairs done. I didn’t believe him but he was very pushy and basically called in with me to sign me up. Thank you Uncle John!! My freezer drawer basically stopped freezing yesterday and I was terrified that my sacred collection of ice cream would go to waste. However, Total Home Protection was able to dispatch a repairman to check out the freezer drawer. It was all fixed within an hour. José, the repairman was a pleasure to work with and he even has the same taste in ice cream as me.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

They were very helpful in providing information. It was a good experience. They were very professional. The special program that you offer now will result in savings over time. We hope we will not need your service, but if we do, that your service will be prompt and efficient.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Total Home Protection is a SCAM! THEY WILL STEAL YOUR MONEY and will not help you resolve anything. We purchased a home warranty from this scammers and a day after closing we had an issue with our furnace, we called the scammers AND THEY TOLD US THAT THEIR POLICY DOES NOT COVER ANYTHING before 30 days... SO we need to repair anything that comes up and this policy will not help resolve any issue... They are liars and scammers! Run away from this joint of rats!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Total home protection’s response time in handling customer matters is great and one of the major reasons I’ve continued being a customer. Moreover, the specialists are professional, respectful and have the specialized skill expected to reasonably evaluate the circumstance, and have frequently provided me with tips that resulted in me not even needing a repairman. They genuinely care about their customers and it shows. Happy to say that I’m renewing my warranty at the end of the month.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Total Home Protection was a great choice for me. They helped me with repairing damaged pipes after a big freeze. I was satisfied with the timely and high quality service and attitude. A 5 star experience from start to finish. I want to recommend them to everyone I know.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

The operator was incredibly useful. He set aside the opportunity to talk me through the entire agreement as well as the whole procedure of using my home warranty. It doesn’t seem like much to be excited about but most companies try to rush you through the paperwork part because ignorance is the way they make money. I felt like I understood everything well enough and this proved true when I went to use my warranty for the first time. It was easy as the specialist described.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

The agent was very friendly and thorough. He answered my questions and was very knowledgeable. He offered me different plans and explained each one in detail for my satisfaction. He even mentioned a senior plan that I was able to take advantage of at a reasonable rate.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I was well please with the customer service rep. She was very knowledgeable and answer all of my concerns. I will recommend this company to my family and friends. The Customer Service representative was willing to give me her contact information and the company direct line.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

The agent (Jeff **) was very helpful and polite while covering the various plans and coverage. He provided many options on the plan that was chosen. I believe the plan I have will cover our home well and provide the coverage needed to secure our home.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

This company is horrible. The sales person told me that they had someone answering the phone 24/7. True, but he did not say that it was an answering service and someone will get back to you in 48 hours. Doesn't matter if its an emergency or not. Our heating unit stopped working and they told me I could call my own company, then that company would have to call them to tell them how much it would be. Then I would pay, and THP would reimburse me what they think it should have cost. This must be why they can not find a HVAC company to take our call... What the heck? It is 47 degrees in our house, and they still have not assigned anyone to our claim. Kinda put us in a difficult position.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Robert was very helpful. He was very knowledgeable about coverage available to me and let me know about their senior and veteran's program which I hadn't thought to ask if there were any programs for seniors or veterans. He was very professional and had a warm and welcoming voice. I appreciate all his help and will definitely recommend him and this company if I find anyone looking for home warranty policies. Thank you so very much for all your help.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I filed a claim for a leaking dishwasher about two weeks ago. Contractor would not return calls nor did he call. Asked to be reassigned another contractor. Same story; no callback. When I call THP the CSR was able to get through to the contractor who told her he would call me. Today is 2/9 and not one of the contractors has ever called to schedule this job. I will be changing to another home warranty provider asap. What a waste of money this was. My FIRST claim and I cannot get any of the provided contractors to respond...horrible and I will be contacting the BBB.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I am a big fan of Total Home Protection! They helped me find what I needed, and were very professional and kind. I actually just purchased a plan for my mother-in-law because I just had an awesome experience with them. I’m so happy I was able to find an inexpensive home warranty for myself and that I can pass the savings along to family. I am so excited for her to be able to utilize this warranty and experience the same conveniences I have with having Total Home Protection on your team.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I was never very keen on the idea of investing money into something I may not use but as I got older, it seemed irresponsible to not be prepared for emergencies. This is why I invested in a home warranty and I urge other people to do the same. If you're thinking about it, Total Home Protection is a great option simply because they offered me the most affordable bundle, and their customer service is pretty impressive. They have not disappointed me yet. I was able to fix my old refrigerator as well as my bathroom plumbing under my warranty. I was happy that these repairs didn't drain my savings account. I highly recommend Total Home Protection.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Owning a home can be a nightmare. Something always breaks. Every time I saved a bit of money for a family vacation something in the house was sure to break. It became something of a family tradition and a recurring joke around the house. That's why I bought a warranty from Total Home Protection. So far, so good. This year my family is going to have that vacation.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

My experience with THP has been frustrating to say the least.

I filed a claim for a malfunctioning refrigerator and was told they would have contact info for me on a qualified technician within 48 hours. Now, 48 hours is a long time when you have a refrigerator on the verge of failing.
One week later I still hadn't heard from the company much less a competent technician. I contacted them and was told I could hire my own technician and they would reimburse me for the cost.
By this time my refrigerator had totally quit and the technician could not be at my home for 2 weeks. I moved the refrigerator out of my kitchen to my porch/entryway because it was leaking and I was concerned about ruining my floors. My entry had a concrete floor. The technician came, and as I had assumed, the compressor was shot. THP insisted on speaking to the technician, however had us on hold. After 30 minutes or more of being on hold the tech had to leave. He had other calls to go on. The claims lady from the repair place finally got in touch with them. When asked, the technician told them the refrigerator was not in the kitchen when he diagnosed the problem. They took that to mean it was a secondary refrigerator. I had already explained to them about having to move it because of the leakage.
Through many frustrating correspondences with this company, they totally denied the claim because the refrigerator was not in the kitchen when it was diagnosed by the technician. They didn't care that I had moved it to prevent damage to my floors, they were just looking for a way to get out of paying the claim!
They eventually said they would give me $200.
The amount for repair was $860.
They claimed I would receive the $200 in 30 days. It has been 45 days since they told me that and 5 months since the start of this claim and I still have received no compensation!
If I could give 0 stars, I would!

Don't waste your time or hard earned money on purchasing a policy from this company!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Purchased the plan 4 days ago and was told I could cancel for a full refund within 30 days. I called today to cancel and the individual from the company was very rude. He wanted to know why I was cancelling and I told him I found a plan that better suited my needs. He said that was not a good enough reason and that he would NOT cancel my plan. I now have to file a dispute with my credit card company.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I put a claim in for my heating unit. Very patient and didn’t fuss about the slow contractors. 2 months went by, still not fixed. They reassigned my claim to another contractor. He could not get the part and install. 3rd contractor assigned, he would not come out and will not do business with them because they haven’t paid him for prior tickets. Finally had to get my own person, as he was out we (both me and the contractor) spoke with the supervisor. Was informed I would not be reimbursed for the work!!! This is totally unexceptional... 3 months of waiting, 3 snow storms without heat and they won’t reimburse me and they aren’t paying their contractors!!! Bad business and I’m reporting this to the Better Business, social media and to whoever will listen!!! Wrong is wrong!!! They should be ashamed. False advertising. Scammers!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Run, don't walk, away from this company. I'm sure the positive reviews are fakes. I bought a multi-year warranty and was promised the moon by the salesperson. He said they'd basically cover everything. So far, they have covered nothing. I had a washing machine, a refrigerator, and a stove all die of age within a year and they got out of each one through loopholes in their contract, which I am STILL waiting to get a copy of. In one case, they would only pay the cost of a part that is no longer manufactured. How do you price a part that does not exist??? I had to buy all of those appliances on my own.

When I said I wanted to cancel, they "prorated" my fees paid in a completely non-mathematical way to come out with a result that if I canceled, I would owe THEM money. If I had time, I'd start a class action lawsuit against them, but I don't have time. Save your money and hire people as needed who have top reviews in Yelp. Don't buy a home warranty and certainly not this one.

Total Home Protection expert review by Michele Lerner

Total Home Protection (THP) provides warranty plans for homeowners, real estate agents and home sellers. THP offers two plans as well as additional coverage so homeowners can choose the protection they need.

• No limit on age, make or model: The appliances covered by THP warranties are eligible for repair or replacement, no matter their age, make or model.

• Free month: Consumers can try one of Total Home Protection’s single payment home warranty plans for a month, for free, to see how they can benefit from it.

• Claims hours: Total Home Protection has 24/7 claims service, so customers can file a claim as soon as a system or appliance malfunctions.

• Service providers: THP’s Servicing Guidelines are available on the website, and they include proof of licensing, insurance minimums and the expectation that each contractor will make a service appointment no more than four hours after receiving a work order.

• Work guarantee: THP has a 90 day guarantee on parts and 30 day guarantee on labor for work performed by their contractors. If a problem occurs within the guaranteed period, the company will send another provider to repair it without charging a second service fee.

• Best for: homeowners, homebuyers and realtors.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Total Home Protection Company Information