Call toll free
3.71/5
Based on 303 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Total Home Protection strives to be the best in the home warranty industry. We have products and services that provide fast and efficient solutions. Total Home Protection promises to go above and beyond to help you get back on your feet. THP offers two plans for you to choose from that work with your budget. Regardless of age, make or model, we will cover repair or replace your covered items. Our technicians are licensed, pre-screened and insured to take care of your replacement or repair. Visit our website today for a free quote!

A-BBB Rating
View More View More

429 Total Home Protection Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Total Home Protection has expertly served its purpose in protecting my home. They have dealt with our problems 3 times, each time, lifting the burden of an unexpected necessary repair with just a phone call. The service guys they sent to us were professional and of very high quality. I could imagine that this level of expertise would cost a pretty penny without our THP warranty. We will definitely renew our contract a second time. I wish we knew about this company before. Thank you, guys!

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

My AC stopped working last Friday afternoon, 4:30 pm AZ, it's 7:30 pm in East Coast, their office closed for the day, for the weekends and won't open until Monday. Their receptionist said he understood the heat wave is coming to AZ, over 113 degrees in AZ, and suggested me to find a contractor to fix the AC, he also sent me an reimbursement form, and asked me to submit the form with the receipt after the repair. I called back again on Saturday, nobody was there. So I went ahead and had the AC fixed by a technician.

On Monday, nobody from this company called me, so I called them, they asked me if I'm a technician? I said I was the owner. They asked if the repair was done, I said yes, they asked me to send in the receipt and reimbursement form, I did that. Two days later, they declined my repair. They asked me to have the technician call back. My technician called back many many times, long wait time, disconnected by them several times, it was a headache. Eventually, he got connected and was told all done. I called back again, they said it's denied, because it was not authorized before the repair. No matter how I said, they just declined. Their first representative gave me a very misleading information, said I could find another technician to repair and get reimbursed. Do you think I can win the case if I go to court to sue them?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I compared this home warranty with others and concluded that this plan would be best for me and my family. This plan fits inside my budget and has the same warranty that other companies offer, but at a lower cost. Thanks Sean ** for your help.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I believe this will be an excellent experience. Sam was an excellent salesman. I believe this is a good plan for me and my family. I would recommend a home warranty plan to anyone. I believe if you do not have one you should look into buying a home warranty.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Total Home Protection has turned out to be one of the better warranty companies I've been a customer of. Their wide range of add-on coverage has facilitated my process of customizing a plan that relevant to my needs. I and my family are very excited that this protection plan has option that includes the central air conditioning systems in our home that is very efficient especially now that my wife is expecting a child whom and we want our expected baby to come into a home that has good air conditioning. This warranty plan remains to be one of my favorites due to the convenience that it brings to us and its affordable prices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I am glad I found you on the internet, I am please with my coverage and Jeffery was very courteous and informed. A plus rating. I hope I never have to use you but I feel better now that everything is covered.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Ray was very nice and did a great job explaining plan options. He offered me a senior plan, which I didn't know was available. He made sure I didn't pay for septic because I have a drain field and don't need coverage. I purchased a 3-year policy.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

DO NOT BUY A WARRANTY FROM THEM. AC COMPRESSOR leads broke and leaked all the Freon. Total Home Protection said it’s a maintenance issue and the reason why the compressor blew up was because there is no Freon. AC company who came to look at the issue said it is not a maintenance issue, the low pressure switch would’ve kept the compressor from coming on if there was no Freon. Total Home Protection just does not want to pay. We tried to call authorization on a three-way call with myself and AC company. We got hung up on twice. Service is horrible. Do not purchase a home warranty through them.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

When I first moved into my home I was not concerned about anything breaking down because it all was brand new. My husband came home and told me about a company called Total Home Protection. An associate on his job had told him about it. Even though everything was brand new he felt this would be a good investment for the future. We called the phone number and the associate was very pleasant and helpful. We ended up purchasing a plan and I am so glad we did, about a couple of months later we had an oven malfunction. I called Total Home Protection and they sent a service professional who replaced the pilot light. I can't imagine how much we saved by purchasing this plan. I would strongly suggest this company to anyone to cover the repairs in their home.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Total Home Protection is an amazing company to do business with. My central air conditioning unit had quit working on one of the warmest days. I called customer service and let them know and they sent someone out the same day and in just a couple of hours my air conditioning was repaired. The customer service is amazing and all that came out of my pocket was my deductible. I definitely recommend Total Home Protection to everyone.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Now it's your turn. I signed up. The follow-up service of registration is very dysfunctional. I sincerely plan and hope this does not turn out to be a very, huge, upsetting mistake. The contract received does not indicate the free initial service that Carter Shaw offered to start the service. You are not starting relationship well.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

When my air conditioning went out and it was almost 100 degrees I immediately called and filed a claim. The process was very easy. They immediately sent a contractor out and it was fixed right away. I am very satisfied with my warranty plan. The company has definitely met its obligations and the contractor they assigned was on time and got the job done right the first time around. I like the fact that they have always done an excellent job of addressing my claims in a timely and straightforward manner. The vendors that they use have proven to be equally timely, professional and competent. I am highly pleased with my recent service request. All I can say is that the cost of the warranty has been well worth it and a real money saver when things go wrong.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Recently, on July 30, 2018, I had a basement flood and Total Home Protection gave me complete reassurance that everything will be fine. Thanks to their great customer service. I called the hotline and was greeted by the friendly, caring voice of Rebecca, who was compassionate and guided me on what to do about the issue. She helped me stay calm and gave me more insight on the protection and coverage that I have.

Within 24 hours she was able to send a plumbing specialist to check out the situation and prepare the cleanup plan, as well as fixing the pipes. I must say, the Gold package that I have is great and I'd recommend it to anyone seeking professional and efficient service. I give them 5 stars across the board and will definitely renew my policy. Both my husband and I are fully dedicated about our decision when it comes to using Total Home Protection anytime we may need a hand in a situation. I love that the workers are screened so that we as customers can be satisfied and confident about letting them into our home.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Wouldn't you know that on one of the hottest days of the summer my central air unit decided to go out. I called Total Home Protection and told them what had happened. I was fortunate enough that I called early enough in the day that they were able to arrange to send someone out within a few hours. Upon inspecting the unit, the technician found that the condenser needed to be replaced. It was my lucky day as he had the one I needed on his truck. He had the unit up and running in an hour or so. I am so glad that we decided to purchase this home warranty when we bought our house. I would definitely recommend Total Home Protection to anyone that is looking for a great home warranty policy. Thank you Total Home Protection for saving the day.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

My dishwasher, which usually hums, started being really loud and the door wouldn't close properly. Heat seemed to be escaping, too, into the kitchen from it. I was hoping it could be fixed. I called Total Home Protection and they scheduled someone to out in a couple of days. The technician made the repair with a smile. A screw had fallen out and it was replaced, and another minor repair was done. Now, the door sits well again and it runs quieter, as it usually did. I am so grateful. And I only had to pay my deductible. This saved me a good amount of money.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

My dishwasher is like family. Growing up I always hated washing dishes by hand, so when I got older I made sure to get a home with a dishwasher. Well one day the dishwasher, during a storm, filled with water and the water refused to drain. The God awful smell that it gave off was unbearable. I immediately had to get it repaired. Thank heavens that I had an extended warranty with Total Home Protection which covered the dishwasher. Delta Auto Protect arranged to send out a tech to service the washer the next day. I only had to pay me deducible and my dishwasher works fine again. Now they are like family too.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

It has been a hot summer and I really am grateful for the warranty that I have with Total Home Protection. They were able to help me get my AC fixed when it was not cooling. Recently, my AC was not cooling properly and I have elders living with me. I called and they sent out a repairman to try to fix our AC. He was able to add Freon, which repaired my AC in a reasonable amount of time. They were so efficient that I did not have to remove the elders to a cooling center and it works perfectly fine now. I paid my deductible and it looks like we will weather this heat. I recommended your company to my family and friends. Thank you for your services, I am a satisfied customer.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Me and my husband recently purchased our home as first time homebuyers. In the seller's disclosure, there were some things that the previous owner mentioned needed to be replaced or repaired. We went ahead and purchased our home owner’s insurance but felt we needed the extended warranty for things not covered by insurance. We researched several companies for quotes for amended protection until we found Total Home Protection. Once closing was done we began the journey of making our house a home. Our extended warranty was able to replace the refrigerator, which promptly gave out. We were also able to have the hot water heater repaired as the pilot light kept going out. The claim process was so easy and simple and the work was done on time and efficiently. I would recommend Total Home Protection to anyone because you never know what emergencies or unknowns can happen.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Me and my wife Cindy recently bought our first home. It took us a while to save for it and she was worried that our insurance wouldn't be enough. We just didn't have the money to make repairs if something went wrong around the house so she convinced me to buy a home warranty. We slept better knowing we had a home warranty. One day she called me frantic while I was at work, letting me know one of the pipes had burst and the room was flooding. I immediately got on the phone and a plumber was sent to fix the pipe damage. We have never had an issue with our pipes again. We could not have been more relieved.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I really wanna say how amazed I am with the customer service Total Home Protection had to offer me. My issue was, my fridge stopped getting cold one morning, so I was looked at my extended warranty papers and called them. My fridge was indeed covered. They sent someone out to take a look at the fridge later that day (they squeezed me in, thank goodness).

The lady who I spoke with over the phone was really nice and really helpful. It's good to see an Amazing business like this care about their customers so much. The repair for the fridge only took like an hour or less and I was beyond impressed. The platinum warranty plan they have is so worth it. Definitely 5 stars, great customer service and the ones who come out for the repairs and what not are really friendly as well. I also really like that during the repair he was engaging in a conversation with me about his job and all the stuff he has done. Thank you Total Home Protection! You guys came fast and fixed my fridge quickly. A definite renewal here.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Thanks, Total Home Protection for getting a handyman out quickly to fix our broken pool pump. I paid extra for coverage on my inground pool coverage and this summer my pump took a bow out on me. As I was getting ready to get the pool open for the summer the pump just had no power. I called Total Home Protection for help. They verified my coverage and arranged for service. The technician was able to fix the pump and we were able to start our summer. I appreciate the courteous people that helped me along the way. I will definitely renew because without my warranty, this would have been so expensive.

Original review: July 29, 2018

Total Home Protection is the best. I am very happy customer. When my dryer went out recently. I called Total Home Protection and Jeff, who was very nice, arranged to send out a serviceman to fix it. Although he tried hard to get it running. Ultimately he said it was dead. THP was able to get it replaced. All it cost me was my deductible. I am so glad I took out the extended warranty. This would have been really expensive otherwise.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I am very pleased with how quickly Total Home Protection sent an electrician. My light fixture in the living room unexpectedly stopped working. I was worried. A financial cost that I didn't plan for. I decided to call and double check... "Is electrical covered, in my home extended warranty?" I'm told, "It's covered." The lady on the phone was friendly and polite and arranged for an electrician to come over. My lights are working again. It's comforting to know if something breaks, I can get it fixed. The overall process was smooth and easy.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I bought a new home this year and my wife recommended I check out Total Home Protection. At first I was very confused about paying for the home warranty service, I thought this would be a waste of money. But I was wrong. Two months after getting my warranty, the washing machine stopped working and the pipe had leaked all over. I called Total Home Protection and was very satisfied with the customer service. The agent I was talking to was very professional & easy to deal with. I was having scheduled someone to come fix it. It was repaired and working fine now. Everything was great and I was very happy with my experience. I highly recommend Total Home Protection. And thanks to my wife to recommend to me this service.

Original review: July 29, 2018

Just read the reviews from June through July of 2018. They refuse to pay just about any claim that will cost them over $200.00... read the company's responses to the 1-2 star reviews. They blame all the denied claims on "lack of customer maintenance"!!! Holy smokes. I find it hard to believe that not one of these people maintained ANY of their appliances (especially people posting a negative review)! People that go to the trouble and expense of paying this type of money for a warranty usually don't balk at paying a small price to maintain their home appliances and equipment.

Use your common sense. Read the reviews and the repetitive claim denials (all worded EXACTLY the same) and look elsewhere for coverage. Total Home Protection is actually one of the more expensive companies to go with. I think that's why most people that buy the service plan believe that they are "getting what they pay for" because that's usually the case you pay more to get a better product. This is just my opinion of course!

Original review: July 29, 2018

I can not thank MYSELF enough for purchasing this protection plan from Total Home Protection! Obviously, when I purchased it I was skeptical about the chances that I would ever need it... but this summer it all happened. We had family coming down from Kentucky the first week of June and the week prior... our ac unit decided it had other plans. I was freaking out over having to deal with a hot house which was enough to drive me crazy. Luckily, I was able to contact the protection provider and they walked me through the steps to get someone out quickly and have the unit up and working with a couple days to spare before my family arrived. Customer service was very polite and patient with me since I’m not familiar with ac units and the right avenue to go in getting one repaired. And all we had to was pay our deductible! I would highly recommend this service to everyone.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 28, 2018

Just wanted some information, Eli ** called and started talking and before I realized it I had signed up for 5 years with another free. I was overwhelmed and now that I have had time to check I want out. Please cancel. Eli said that I had until Aug 24 to cancel. Thank you.

Total Home Protection response
Thank you contacting us with the above referenced review. We at Total Home Protection treat each review with the utmost respect and use this feedback to better serve our valued customers. Understandably there are two sides to every story and always look for a fair resolution between all parties.

Please be advised that the policy was cancelled as requested.

We at Total Home Protection have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. If you have any further questions, please contact us at 1-800-545-0402.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Very good experience!!! Very kind with very good discount for being retired military. Will recommend Donald to others for sure. What else can I say other than it was a good experience with Donald. Looking forward to working with the program.

Original review: July 27, 2018

On 7/27/18, I happened to click on a Senior Citizen ad for Total Home Protection. I already have a plan with Sears Home Warranty, but I was curious what the pricing would be on the THP Plan. Soon I was contacted by a very well spoken gentleman named Donald ** who spelled out the plan. I became sold when I could save at least half of the money in six years compared to the Sears Plan. So I will take a look at the contract, but I am delighted with the THP Plan.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I'm very pleased to be a Total Home Protection Customer because my AC broke down about a week ago. That same day I called and they came out the same exact day to fix my AC. The next day they called to make sure everything was okay. I couldn't choose a better company. Most companies don't keep their promises but with this one they do.

Total Home Protection expert review by Michele Lerner

Total Home Protection (THP) provides warranty plans for homeowners, real estate agents and home sellers. THP offers two plans as well as additional coverage so homeowners can choose the protection they need.

• No limit on age, make or model: The appliances covered by THP warranties are eligible for repair or replacement, no matter their age, make or model.

• Free month: Consumers can try one of Total Home Protection’s single payment home warranty plans for a month, for free, to see how they can benefit from it.

• Claims hours: Total Home Protection has 24/7 claims service, so customers can file a claim as soon as a system or appliance malfunctions.

• Service providers: THP’s Servicing Guidelines are available on the website, and they include proof of licensing, insurance minimums and the expectation that each contractor will make a service appointment no more than four hours after receiving a work order.

• Work guarantee: THP has a 90 day guarantee on parts and 30 day guarantee on labor for work performed by their contractors. If a problem occurs within the guaranteed period, the company will send another provider to repair it without charging a second service fee.

• Best for: homeowners, homebuyers and realtors.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Total Home Protection Company Information

325 Chestnut Street Suite 800
Philadelphia
PA
19106
Fax:
www.TotalHomeProtection.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business