3.42/5
  • 1 star
Based on 135 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Total Home Protection strives to be the best in the home warranty industry. We have products and services that provide fast and efficient solutions. Total Home Protection promises to go above and beyond to help you get back on your feet. THP offers two plans for you to choose from that work with your budget. Regardless of age, make or model, we will cover repair or replace your covered items. Our technicians are licensed, pre-screened and insured to take care of your replacement or repair. Visit our website today for a free quote!

Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 11, 2017

178 Total Home Protection Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Thank you Mr. **, I really appreciate your service to involve to your platinum plan. Very good price for protecting the home. Your quick turnaround time and explanation of benefits is amazing. Definitely will recommend you to my friends and family.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

The heater all of a sudden wouldn’t work and something burned out on it. The deductible was less than the other providers and submitting a claim with Total Home Protection was very easy as well. When I called them they were very good on the phone. Everybody was also very courteous and the guys who came out from the air conditioning company were very prompt. They did a good job and the heater works fine now. I'm glad that I have them.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Very Loud Noise from Refrigerator. The woman on the phone last night was very rude and told me that, if my refrigerator was not dead in the water, Total Home Protection could not help me. My compressor is dying. I will lose an entire refrigerator of food. She put me on hold and never came back.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

My stove had two ranges that whenever I turned on went straight to high. There was no medium or low. I called Total Home Protection and my rep was very good. A contractor came and replaced a switch. He got to get one working then he stated that he would be back the following day and get the other switch. But when my daughter-in-law turned on the stove, something smoked on the stove side and it tripped the circuit breaker. So I called Total Home again to let them know what happened.

I called it in on a Saturday so that Sunday, they weren't going to do anything. I was also upset because the rep told me to wait until the next day and see what happens. I told the rep that the incident needed to be noted so that we'd be clear on it. After I started talking, I got understood and she did the claim. By Monday, I got a phone call from the service folks. A gentleman came out and he replaced whatever circuit board it was and everything is working fine now. He did well and explained everything. That second claim took about 3 days though. It would’ve been nice if it was quicker and they should diagnose better. Other than that, they were timely when they found the problem.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I had a couple of outlets in the kitchen that kept tripping the breaker and I wasn't sure what was causing it. I tried to file a claim with Total Home Protection online but I couldn't figure out how to do it. It was a little complicated because all I got to was the page that tells you how to sign up. I couldn't find the page to log in and file a claim on my account. So, I called them and they got back to me immediately by email. The first contractor called within five minutes after they notified him. He was really good and responsive, and he helped me figure out that the issue was not the microwave because I had used it. I contacted the second contractor, and they said they didn't have time because they were too booked up. And then the third person, an electrician, came and he was very nice and he helped fix the problem. The repair made a big difference. It let me use my microwave and the outlets in the kitchen again. And overall, my experience was easy and pleasant.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

The jingle and the email with the website caught my attention and it kept getting past my spam. I decided to cancel my warranty with another company because I liked the offer, but I tried to use it November 29, 2017 for my water heater. Total Home Protection telephone rep. said it was covered. Assigned to Onestop Plumbing. I paid my $45. Total Home Protection declined to repair/replacement of water heater. Normal wear and tear was not the same as rust/corrosion.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

If someone would ask me,[x] how do you define Total Home Protection? I would say: first of all is not total it's partial home. They are racist, rude, poor customer service etc. No matter what's your claim about, they will reject it either because is a "Preexisting condition" or because they want to bill you what they[x] technician charge them for materials.

I called them two times. The first time a guy named Mark show up and did his job but he was not able to fix my microwave, so I called and a woman named Stacey ** denied it because she said it was a "Preexisting" issue and she offered me 50 dollars to compensate me for my microwave, then I called the technician and he said it was not a preexisting. (Note I recorded every single communication I had and they knew it).

Few days later I called them again because I had a spark at home and due to this situation everything went out, appliances light bolts and a switch. Then I had a call from the same person: Stacy who asked me for $235 dollars to pay the parts, I told her this was due to the spark, and she said that it was preexisting issue: I called the technician (Rick) and he said it was not a preexisting issue and I was like, "Really... Is this the way you guys operate? This is your own people with an opposite opinion about the same issue."

So I decide to cancel my contract and after 4 hours finally they transfer me over cancellation department which is located in their "restroom." Yes! In the restroom down the toilet if you know what I mean. But when I told them I was recording they just hang up on me. Do not contact this tricky company, they just want your money and then they will wrap you up and then they will set you up. I will never ever recommend this "Company" to anyone if you understand what I am saying. In fact if you feel like me, pick up the phone, call consumer protection bureau, keep records of every single communication, record your calls, write down names, days and times.

This is a piss poor company. Extremely dangerous for your wallet and lifestyle. Managers and supervisors are not professional, and not polite. What they advertise is opposite of their practice. The best way to respond to this kind of companies is through media, BBB, consumer protection bureau and why not through the local newspaper.

If you have WhatsApp, Hangouts or any other, forward your complains to them. Let them know what happened to you. I have 7000 contacts and all of them knows about this poor company. You know what? It will be nice if we can issue a letter to the city of Philadelphia so they can check Chapter 5.56 about revocation of business licenses. We just need 500 signatures.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Last time I filed a claim on my dishwasher it was taken care of in no time flat. This time my garbage disposal went out, so I filed a claim 3 days ago, and still no one has called me. So after 1 hr on hold (That is no joke. I timed it.) they told me to call the contractor it was assigned to. So I did. They stated they no longer work with any warranty companies, they have told the warranty company this many times, but they still keep referring people to them. So now I get to spend another hour on hold to tell them what they should already know and find out how to get my disposal fixed. This is so frustrating, it's to the point I should just find out if someone else can do it because it might take another 3-5 days to get this fixed, assuming they can assign me to someone who actually contracts with them.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I just got off the phone with your rep Daniel ** and do not have an order # yet. He was professional, answered all my questions and no hard sell, which I appreciate. I talked to him several months ago and asked him to call back. He followed through. Will gladly refer him to friends.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Submitting a claim to Total Home Protection is an easy process. I just call them and submit a claim. They will usually call a technician within 15 minutes and I get an email within five minutes. It's almost instant. They are super responsive. I would like for them to have a more online presence. If I can go ahead and submit the claim online instead of calling them, I'll be happier.

However, I'm in a pretty tricky scenario right now. I ran into those things that they have under the small print and my issue was not covered. I didn’t know that any claim on appliances or heating that has corrosion is going to be denied. I didn’t read that small print. As a consumer, I'm unhappy that it's not covered. However, from a legal perspective, they have covered themselves with whatever they have written in the contract. One of the reasons I take the insurance to make sure my major expenses are covered. At this point in time, my major expense, which is going to happen for this year, is to replace my heating system. All the claims on that including any temporary maintenance is denied because the technician reported there was some corrosion. I don’t know whether there is anything I can do even if I go to somebody else.

I had a bad experience throughout the whole thing. I submitted the claim a month back. It was on a Monday and they said they’ll come on Thursday. However, it got postponed four times. When they finally showed up, there were three people out there. They looked through it and told me they needed to give the details to the insurance company and that they'll get back to me once they hear back. I waited for a couple of days before I called and told them I'm still waiting to hear from them. That went on for a week until I got frustrated and called Total Home Protection. They told me that the contractors didn't have enough manpower to do the maintenance. The contractors weren't upfront with me. The whole episode took a month. Total Home Protection gave me the option to go through another technician in their list or find somebody myself.

I'm pleased with the new experience. The new process will happen within a couple of follow-ups. I had this tech who came and gave their report at noon. By evening Total Home Protection had a response, even though it was midnight. From that perspective, however, I'm sure the contractor had that info within two days, but he kept saying he's still waiting for the insurance company. Since I had this insurance, I was waiting for these guys to come back. I've had only two claims now. One of them was covered. One was completely denied

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

What I appreciated about Marc was his follow through. I was undecided on what to do because of living in Michigan and the new purchase. I told Marc I was looking at other companies and would he please call me back and he did. Great Guy.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I had an email sent to me and I got to the website and put in the information. Then I got a phone call from a gentleman from the Total Home warranty. They were great over the phone and I had already scheduled as far as an offer. The guy had valid answers to a couple of questions I had and it didn’t take a whole lot of convincing because I was looking for something. I've been with Total Home Protection since the first part of this month and for what they were offering me, I can't afford not to have a protection. I've had some repair work done in the recent past and some of it, I've done myself. Being almost 69 years old and going blind, I wouldn't be able to do much more of it myself. So instead of trying to teach my wife to be an electrician and a plumber, it would be easier to have somebody else to do it. The Total Home Protection team was very professional and courteous, and they exhibited concern.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

On the afternoon of 11/10/17 I had a problem with my plumbing, I called Total Home Protection, they said they wouldn't be able to help until the next business day which was Monday. Well, I then called the provider I was referred to by Total Home Protection. They said they would get back to me, that was Monday. Late Monday afternoon the plumbers showed up but wanted $90 extra to cut a hole in a wall to access the plumbing problem. Cause the warranty doesn’t cover the hole. I said that I would make the hole.

I called the warranty people on Tuesday. Informed them that I had created access to the plumbing. The warranty company said they would contact the provider (TODD COMPANIES). Wednesday afternoon I haven't heard a thing AND I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO USE MY BATHROOM. On Thursday morning I called Total Home Protection 2 times. Was referred to a supervisor and put on hold for 20 minutes and then they hung up, I called again put on hold for 30 minutes, the supervisor offered no help. I am a disabled veteran and I'm finding this type of service completely undesirable.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Single family home coverage with a pool and spoke to Angel and was very informative and patient with me. I emailed and called back a few times to confirm coverages and he was very pleasant to speak with. I want to thank him for the time and hope that if we have to use the service that it meets the standards.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Well informed, answered all questions, polite, a very nice experience. Would recommend to family and friends. Great coverage. The sales rep was not pushy and only recommended different options, let me make the choices. I was very comfortable with all my choices and that is very important to me as a customer.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

My salesman Marc was very helpful. He took the time to explain the policy and the benefits for purchasing a longer term policy. He knew exactly everything I wanted to know about the coverage. He explained things in clear terms and represented your company well.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

Mr. **, was exceptional. He knew his product very well, and was able to help me move swiftly and smoothly in making a purchase decision. I wish I had been able to take advantage of your special. However, I was unable to do so. Perhaps when I renew my warranty policy, I will be able to take advantage of a Special, if you are having one.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

Jesse ** is an excellent representative of your company. I see why your company is rated No. 1! I wish I knew about your company when I first bought our condo. We were totally not pleased with our current company, poor customer service, poor contractor response time (5 days), poor record keeping and their contract expires in one week. We were fed up and had to find another company. Total Home was rated No. 1 and we understand why. We did not have to ask a lot of questions because he explained everything. He was patient while my husband and I crunched numbers. Jesse ** was not pushy... he's a keeper, give him a raise and promote him!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I have had Total Home Protect for over 23 years on one house or the other. In the beginning I would have rated their company five stars. Although they did send a racist, rude ** guy who behaved totally inappropriate once (witness to this exchange can verify), after I told him not to return to my house they sent an excellent replacement. But, alas, over the years they have slipped terribly in their customer service and their willingness to live up to what I am paying for. About eight years ago was when the decline began.

They tried to deny me a new heating/air conditioning unit. Their own serviceman (nice guy) said the unit could not be safely "fixed" and I could end up dying from carbon monoxide poisoning. After I threatened to take legal action, they replaced it with one of their choice, which I had to have worked on twice in five years (which I paid for out of pocket). Since then, they have gone from bad to worse.

Rather than deal with them, I have been paying for repairs and replacing appliances out of pocket. But recently, my refrigerator needed work and my pockets are not as deep so I tried to make a claim on it (after all I AM paying monthly for their services) but they denied it. I have tried all day to get in touch to cancel my service but, much to my chagrin, my efforts have been in vain. I would not recommend this company to anyone. In fact, I would recommend they run in the opposite direction. Oh, and for those who have raved about dealing with a salesman, I would love to hear from you after you have filed a claim or two or had the (non) service for a while.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I was told that it was a 45 dollar service call and the repairs would be fixed or replaced if not able to repair. Septic tank is backed up so I call after being told I get 1 per year of pumping and that's me paying for the extra service. Now that I'm in a time of need I was told they only cover 200 dollars of the fee! I was well warned about this company and how they work and I'm the fool for going forth anyway but to everyone else, stay away!! I've learned from experience like everyone else that had dealings with this piss poor company! Extremely unhappy with Total Home Protection! Will also be giving complaint to BBB if there's still room left for complaining!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

My garage door opener is broken. I call Total Home Protection. They send a contractor Almost a month ago and this contractor is been very unprofessional. They give me a lot excuses like "We are very busy," "Driver got in an accident," "No one at home." I call Total Home Protection and they said is the only contractor they have in that area. This is ridiculous. I have to wait for this long of time to replace a garage door opener.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Henry contacted me via email, I returned his call and was very happy I did, he worked with me. He offered me different plans and they just got better and was not pushy. In the end I felt very confident and happy to close the deal. I will be glad to recommend him to friends!! Thank you Henry.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Mr. ** was very helpful, thoughtful, none rushed, very knowledgeable. I like the pricing, very affordable, service call was within reason. BBB rated them a B+ and if the pricing is still good next year I plan to stay with THP until. Thank you so very much for covering my house.

Resolution response: Oct. 29, 2017

I posted a review today giving my experience. Just after I posted it, I received a call from David. We came to a resolution which I won't discuss. I also want to say that I also had a Septic Tank Pumping claim that they handled professionally and I am satisfied with this company at this point. David really did make me feel important and like he really care about getting things resolved.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I signed up for a Home Warranty with Total Home Protection 8/17/17 and it went into effect 30 days later. I called on 10/5/17 to make a claim for my washing machine. They sent Tarheel Appliance out. I paid my $45 to the tech and he said he'd have to order the parts. On 10/25/17 I received a call from Total Home Protection stating that my claim was denied for Preexisting condition. I called a spoke with a Supervisor is customer service named Jason and he said the $45 is only for a diagnosis and that the tech indicated it was a preexisting condition. He gave me comparisons like you buy a car and it has bumper to bumper warranty but you know that's not true and I explained it's not the same because you are told upfront what the bumper to bumper won't cover.

So then I called Tarheel Appliance and they said they reported it as normal wear and tear. So I called back and got a lady in the escalations dept and told her what the appliance company said and she said, "We determined it was preexisting" so I asked what qualified her to make that decision and that it was their appliance company they sent that says they can't determine that. As a matter of fact when the tech came and looked at my washer we had to turn it on and off before it did anything to show what I'd experienced. She explained it as if I bought a used car and then multiple things broke a month and a half later then I'd feel (feel) as if something was wrong prior to purchasing it and I told her that not the same because if I purchased a used car they always tell you up front that you buy it as-is.

I explained how the sales dept and company misrepresent the product so she then offered me $75 to go away. I then looked up the number to David Johnson, CEO and he said he'd look into the claim and get back with me shortly but never heard back yet. I have filed a complaint with the BBB because if they are gonna make their own assumptions and don't trust what their own technicians say then why use them. It's outrageous. It is now the principle of the point.

I am not dishonest which is basically how I was made to feel. They owe this claim! I will continue to push for what is right and I intend to tell every family member I have that is currently dealing with them to cancel. I have a cousin already that said if they don't fix or replace my washer he will cancel and go with a different company because he had a policy with a different co that paid when his a/c broke so he'll go back with them. I will also post out on Facebook and make sure anyone who knows me knows my experience.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

After contract signed and paid for The Total Home Protection is rejecting all claims for the items clearly including in contract without any reasonable explanation. The managers and supervisors are no help, very unreasonable and non polite. I have all documents to support this statement!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Very pleasant experience working with Tim ** - answered all my questions and helped me get on board. The coverage should be exactly what we need and is less expensive than our current warranty. Looking forward to a pleasant experience going forward.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Total Home Protection has been great. 1st claim on ac tech came in 3 hrs and found my unit not repairable. They got me a new system. Great service. I will tell all my friends about you guys. Thanks again.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I have been deceived and will consult an attorney. Contact me after 12:00 any day. Noon. I am contacting the BBB and our company attorneys. The representative DID NOT listen to me! I can't wait to talk to someone who represents your company. I was ignored and it has caused me unwarranted grief.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

When the sales called me on cell phone I felt a little rushed on the decision. I told Marc I wanted to check reviews on company. He stated he could give me a good deal but I had to sign up right then. So I did, then they took the whole year out on cost when I wanted monthly. I was told I would see refund by tomorrow. I wanted to cancel and the girl that was helping me made me feel like I was making the biggest mistake ever. For me I just felt pushed into something I wanted to check out. Sales guy was nice but after signing up and wanting to talk to someone I was on hold for 20 min. Not good in my opinion.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Total Home Protection and its field reps were very deceptive, unprofessional, and unreliable. Sales reps flat out lie to get your business. I have a recording of a sales rep telling me that rust and normal wear and tear is covered, however a couple of months, after I signed up with the company, a customer service representative stated that rust and normal wear and tear are not covered. In essence my claim to have my A/C was denied. I had a home warranty but had to invest in window units and a hotel room due to the fact that I could not afford to pay for a new unit, which I thought would be covered under my home warranty.

A field rep that came to my home stated that the company probably would not replace my unit because they have not "gotten enough money out of me yet". I believe he said this in confidence, however I took that comment very personally. This organization needs to be held accountable for its deceptive, bad faith insurance practices.

Total Home Protection Company Information