Total Home Protection Learn More Learn More
Accredited Partner

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.78/5
Learn More

Total Home Protection strives to be the best in the home warranty industry. We have products and services that provide fast and efficient solutions. Total Home Protection promises to go above and beyond to help you get back on your feet. THP offers two plans for you to choose from that work with your budget. Regardless of age, make or model, we will cover repair or replace your covered items. Our technicians are licensed, pre-screened and insured to take care of your replacement or repair. Visit our website today for a free quote!

BOTTOM LINE

Total Home Protection offers competitive home warranty services. The plans are not available in every state, but they offer solid coverage plans to their served areas.

PROS

• Ability to add additional systems and appliances
  • Quality coverage

CONS

• Not available nationwide

Top Total Home Protection Reviews

I haven't been a customer for long but the amount of time and energy I've saved so far has been unmatched. Total Home Protection makes the repair process as easy as it should be my oven has been fixed to perfection for the cost of just a $45 deductible. I'm very impressed.

I submitted a claim with them online for my stainless steel dishwasher and they were very nice and they got it within 10 hours. Then the guy called me back, made the appointment and they came the next day. It's now back to normal and doing great.

Total Home Protection Learn More Learn More

Total Home Protection plans

Total Home Protection offers two plan variations for home warranty coverage. Both provide coverage for a mix of systems and appliances.

• Gold: Covers 15 items, including systems like plumbing and appliances like dishwashers.
  • Platinum: Covers 20 major home systems and appliances. In addition to the 15 items covered by the Gold plan, the Platinum plan covers more key appliances like refrigerators and systems like heat and AC.
  • Optional coverage: Additional items are available to add on to either plan, including items like pools and spas, water softeners and septic systems or additional appliances and systems like a second refrigerator or A/C unit.

Total Home Protection cost

Total Home Protection advertises plans as low as $1 per day. Because prices may vary by your location, home size and selected plan, the best way to get an accurate cost is to request a quote from Total Home Protection. Luckily, they make this easy with a simple online form.

Total Home Protection coverage

Between their two plans and add-on coverage, a Total Home Protection home warranty provides coverage for most major systems and household appliances.

The Gold plan covers the following systems and appliances:
  • Built-in microwave
  • Plumbing system
  • Trash compactor
  • Whirlpool bath
  • Water heater
The Platinum plan covers the following systems and appliances:
  • Air conditioning system
  • Refrigerator
  • Trash compactor
  • Whirlpool bath
  • Water heater
You can also add on optional coverage to your plan at a per-item fee for the following:
  • Additional A/C system
  • Stand-alone freezer
  • Water softener/li>
  • Well pump

Total Home Protection Reviews

Original review: July 4, 2019

Total Home was presented in a list with 10 other warranty companies to take a look at. I kinda looked them all over with the reviews and compared the benefits to the other, but Total Home was pretty much on par with just about everything, covering the majors on any kind of home protection. So, they came in at a reasonable deal, where I was satisfied with the agreement from what I could understand. And then, going on the reviews, I saw that they had worked claims before, and there were a few where people were not so happy. But by and large, I felt like everybody was satisfied where they needed to be.

Recently, I filed a claim because I noticed that the refrigerator was on the blitz. and they just came out and fixed it for the $75 agreement. I got it repaired within about three days because that part had to be ordered for the refrigerator. It was a good experience when I filed the claim. By and large, they got on it. They assured me that somebody would be out there and assigned to it, and I told them how the process worked. Everything was fine. They were pretty prompt and they called me in plenty of time for me to be ready for the person coming on the day that they said they were coming once got they got the part. The contractors were really good too. That guy was a young-ish guy. He came in. He was very nice and he got in here and he did it within 30 minutes. He explained what he was doing and he went ahead and just hooked everything up and it's fine after that. It's been good. I've had no issues with the refrigerator since that time.

I was really well pleased with the service that I got for the price. This is the first time I've ever owned. So, going into it, having the repairs and everything, but knowing that I had a pretty solid protection on my electrical, my plumbing, my appliances, those things that I really felt that I was covered on that. Especially, going forward, that also includes my heat and my air conditioning and making all the way up to 100 feet to the sewer line in the front of the house. And the electrical panel too. All those were really important to me being a homeowner, even though I had an inspection that came back clean. Who knows what awaits you. So, I was glad to have that and I do thoroughly intend on keeping it next year.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you for selecting Total Home Protection for all your home warranty needs. We know your time is valuable so we take feedback very seriously. Your feedback allows us to improve our business and promote the level of service expected from a trusted industry leader. Total Home Protection strives to be a top rated home warranty provider. We have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. We sincerely thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service during normal business hours at 1-800-545-0402.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 3, 2019

When I called Total Home Protection, their representative was awesome. He was not high-pressure. Sometimes, he gave me some options, some specials, and a lot of information. He wasn’t telling me, “Commit right now or else this is gonna go away.” I like that. I don’t like to be pressured to buy anything because I’m one of those people who can’t make up their mind immediately. I think it through and I wait. So, I contacted my husband and he said, “Nah, we have homeowners insurance. We’re fine." He said no. He had some questions, so I called back and reviewed the information with the representative. He answered all my questions. Again, he was very professional and he did tell that at a certain time, he was not gonna be answering the line.

We’re the type of family that once something goes out, we replace it. Some things are gonna last for a certain amount of time. But we’ve been lucky and we haven’t had anything major go wrong with anything we’ve owned. We were affected by Hurricane Isaac a while back. We’ve gotten new appliances and we’ve replaced things. Our home is not that old, so when our dryer had an issue, I thought it was just something minor. And it was. It was fixable. That was my first claim. We’ve been with them close to 2 years and I’ve got a second claim now.

We live in Laplace which is halfway between New Orleans and Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The contractor came from New Orleans. It was a little bit of a drive for him to come here. When I got the email, I contacted him. He didn’t reply immediately. He’s a busy guy, and it’s a small, local company so I gave him a little time. But I did hear from him by text that he would call me later. He was on a job. We did communicate and he was fantastic. He came by. Unfortunately, we had to go on vacation, so that kinda delayed our repair because we weren’t home. I did inform him that we were gonna be out-of-town because he ordered the part and said, “When the part comes in, call me, and I’ll come and install it.”

I had my child who doesn’t live here come by and check on the house and make sure everything was fine. When the part came, she said, “Mom, the part came. You can let your repairman know that it’s here so when you get back in town, you and him can make arrangements.” And that’s how it happened. He was awesome. He responded to my concern immediately. I’m very satisfied with the promptness and efficiency of the contractor that Total Home Protection sent. And I do highly recommend having this type of service because homeowners insurance doesn’t cover everything all the time. Total Home Protection is a good backup protection for our home.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I have four properties with Total Home Protection and whenever I have a claim, I just call them. They told me that I could call them any time and that they were available 24/7. So far, I've had three claims that had been done with. One of them involved the refrigerator and it had been fixed. So, that was good. In another property, we had a problem with the air conditioner. The tech came and took a picture, then he showed the company what happened and what needed to be done.

Then he said the motor needed to be replaced but Total Home denied the claim. They said they would not cover it because the unit was in improperly. I had to get a second opinion and when the tech came out, he charged $350. But Total Home denied it again and kept saying the unit was in improperly. Then they said they'd cover my claim for just 200 instead of 350. I was so shocked. They also said that the second opinion was covered but I'd have to wait for 30 days. So, most the time, Total Home would say that the work is not covered but I don’t have that list of what's covered and what's not covered.

The third claim I had was about the water leaking in the toilet. It was all over the floor from the kitchen to the bathroom. I called in on a Friday morning and they said I'd get a response within 24 to 48 hours from the contractor. So even though I filed a claim on a weekday or a weekend, I'd still have to wait that long. The tech they assigned to me was 5 Star Construction and Total Home sent me his name, number, and email. I texted and called him but he didn’t respond.

So, I emailed him in the morning and he emailed me back around 3 o’clock. He said he could come over at that time but my tenant was not available until 8 o’clock in evening. So, I sent them each other's phone numbers and they scheduled the repair. So, at least the tech responded on the same day, Monday. And he said he could come by the end of the day at 5 o’clock, so that was good. Recently, we had an issue with the washing machine and dryer in my property in Georgia, Lawrenceville but Total Home hasn't fixed it yet.

All in all, my experiences with Total Home have been pretty good. But a lot of things surprised me. For instance, they don't respond right away and I have to wait for a long time to get a response from the contractor. I also have to contact them again. If I don’t call and I don’t do anything, my service request doesn’t get a response.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I was looking for someone to handle my home projects or when something breaks down. I went online and started looking. I originally had American Home Shield and they were such a disappointment that I fired them. So I got to looking and called Total. I talked to one of their agents and what he had to say seemed pretty good., so I went ahead and signed up for it.

I had my garage door opener quit on me. I called them and they sent a technician to replace it. He told them the truth and the guy was very nice, very knowledgeable, and he was completely honest. However, it was alarming that while I was waiting for the Total Home Protect rep to decide what they were gonna do, there was so much hesitation on the other end of the line. It made me a little skeptical. I said, what am I signing up for here? They ended up replacing it but only because the installer said this thing was totally dead. Heaven forbid something else happens in a short span. But everything seems to be working fine.

However, I still don't know how everything works with them. I don’t have a policy from them. I don’t know what’s covered and what’s not covered, whether they just pay a percentage and then we pay the rest of an appliance or air conditioning. I couldn’t even remember who it was and then I had to go through bank records to find out who was taking the money every month. Then I finally found out then I called and verified. That was disappointing and I still don’t have the questions answered.

But the gentleman that came out fixed the garage door in a very timely manner and he’s also a plumber on the side. It wasn’t two weeks ago, I had him come out and fix a leak. I paid him directly, so it was a good thing he came out because that type of thing isn’t covered. He was more than fair, very good with what he did, and I would like to think that whoever Total Protect all send out in the future should there be an issue is as good as this guy was.

Total Home Protection response

Original review: April 23, 2019

When I purchased my home, the home warranty was expiring. Total Home Protection reached out to me and I have their policy now. In a recent claim, I called them for the sensor on the garage door. The reps gave me the information that was very informative. They explained thoroughly that if it was a sensor, it is not covered. But if the part has failed, then it is covered. I was very well-informed so it was great. Then Total Home Protection sent a top-notch contractor. They responded quickly and didn't have to run after parts. They had them all on their truck. The serviceman who fixed everything went above and beyond. He even serviced my garage door, did a greasing of the springs, and checked all the bolts. It was very excellent.

Normally, I hit the button when I’m leaving and then I hit the button when I’ve already backed out in the garage and think that the garage door is going down and that I would not worry about it. I had to start waiting to make sure if the door went halfway down, if it is gonna go all the way, or is it gonna go back up. I lost the confidence that it would close. Each time I go home and open the garage, it wouldn't work. And when I get ready to leave, it wouldn't close. I was very frustrated. But they fixed it and my frustration level is zero now. I have had good experience with Total Home Protection so far. I got the three-year policy and I hope they continue their services as expected.

Total Home Protection response

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: March 27, 2020

I think the rating here should offer a zero as I am forced to give them more than they deserve. In mid 2019 my washer went out and I filed a claim with Total Home via phone and it was approved in Sept 2019. A couple of weeks ago after numerous calls and waiting I did receive a check for $300 which was what they had indicated was all that would be covered. The check they sent was NOT signed. I called and they wanted me to return the check to them. I had already endorsed the check and took it to the bank hoping there was something they could do. There was nothing. With the advice of my bank I did NOT return the check. I believe they should stop pay on the one that I have and re-issue a signed check to me. I did go on the web site and gave them a second rating of ZERO!

Total Home Protection response

Thank you for contacting us with the above referenced review. We at Total Home Protection treat each review with the utmost respect and use this feedback to better serve our valued customers.

Due to an internal system issue, there was a delay in the check being sent. We have expedited the check to be sent within the next 5-7 days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Normal procedure for handling unsigned checks is to request the consumer mail it back to Total Home Protection so that we can sign the check and return it to them. This is not a normal occurrence, however, a machine is used to sign the checks and we developed this response in case checks were missed or a misprint occured. The consumer was informed of this procedure, at which point the consumer made it known that the check was already endorsed. Understandably, Total Home Protection would not ask a consumer to mail a check that has been endorsed. As such, the consumer was notified to please write ‘VOID” across the front and provide a picture to the Consumer Advocate Specialist. Upon receiving the picture showing the check has been physically voided, Total Home Protection can void the check in our internal system and reissue the check to the consumer.

All claims have been properly serviced in accordance with the Service Agreement - all contracts have inclusions as well as exclusions. We are committed to providing a positive customer experience and doing the right thing for all our customers, contractors, employees, and our company.

We at Total Home Protection have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. If the consumer would like to discuss further, please contact us at 1-800-545-0402.

Original review: March 24, 2020

When we bought our house they had Total Home Protection and we just kept it. We've taken advantage of the additional benefits. We bought a dishwasher and did an upgrade off of that. When we had to get our gas line replaced, the gas line in the house itself could not be brought up to current requirement and Total Home Protection replaced it all at no charge to us. That was great. They have been very good. Our experience with them has been very positive and responsive.

Original review: March 24, 2020

When I moved here, my daughter already had Total Home Protection, so she thought that would be the thing for me too. Their service is excellent and they've done a great job. I have also taken advantage of additional benefits as one of their customers a few times. They were always been very prompt to getting somebody out here, but I did have a problem. This Thanksgiving my furnace went out a night before Thanksgiving and I contacted Total Home Protection. I swear they did everything they could trying to find somebody to come out and fix it even on an emergency, but nobody would come until Monday, but sure wasn't Total Home Protection's fault because they really tried. They had somebody here on Monday morning. They did the best they could so I have referred them to people.

Original review: March 24, 2020

When we bought our house, the previous owners had Total Home Protection. We kept the policy and paid it. It's a basic plan that covers most everything. We've called them several times every year and they send good people out here to do the work. They have replaced the microwave for us and we got a very good microwave, a better one than what we had before, and we only had to pay a minimal difference. They were good about that. We've had them for 8 years and have been very satisfied. It's a good insurance to have on your appliances, plumbing and things in the home that matter and they get somebody out here pretty quick. They're a good company.

Original review: March 24, 2020

Everybody in the family has Total Home Protection. We first heard about it through my son-in-law who is a real estate agent and our house is 20 years old. My daughter-in-law also has it. We just figured everything was getting a little age on it and just to be safe than sorry. We've had it for about a year. And so far, we've had to have a water heater replaced and our heat all in one month in November. We've had no problems with them at all. And our air conditioning went out, too, in the summer. Everybody has been very polite and very punctual, very friendly. We have recommended them, I think all of our neighbors are getting it after the first year.

Total Home Protection’s coverage exclusions

In the Total Home Protection contract they provide a full list of coverage exclusions. Pre-existing conditions are not covered, which is standard to most home warranty contracts. Additionally, there may be parts or components of covered items that are excluded from coverage. For example, while Air Conditioning Systems are covered under the Platinum plan, replacement filters for those systems are not provided as part of that coverage. With appliances, you’ll often see items like knobs, dials, shelving and any removable accessories excluded from coverage as well.

In the event that a claim is denied due to a coverage exclusion, you have a right to get a second opinion from another service provider.

Total Home Protection’s coverage limits

Total Home Protection places coverage limits on certain items. This is the maximum dollar amount they will pay out per contract term for specific items. If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds this amount, you would be responsible for covering the remainder of the cost yourself.

Total Home Protection’s per contract term cap is $1,500 for “access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement” of all covered items. In addition, they have set coverage limits per item in certain areas.

ItemTotal Home Protection coverage limit
    Refrigerant$10 per pound
    Lawn sprinkler systems, refrigerator ice maker, septic tank pumping$200 per term
    Ceiling and exhaust fans$400 per term
    Ductwork, electrical system, limited roof leak, plumbing system and stoppages, pools and spas, septic system, sump pump, water heater, water softener, whirlpool bathtubs$500 per term

If a plumbing claim requires a service provider to break through walls or ceilings to make the repair, Total Home Protect will also cover up to $500 per claim to get the wall or ceiling back to a rough finish by hanging or patching drywall.

How to request service from Total Home Protection

You can file a claim 24/7 online or by calling the Total Home Protection claims department toll-free.

1. Submit your claim to Total Home Protection.
    2. Total Home Protection assigns one of their approved service providers to your case within two business days (four on weekends and holidays).
    3. The service provider will contact you to schedule your appointment.
    4. You will pay your trade service call fee (this will be specified in your contract, typically $60).

Total Home Protection guarantees labor for 30 days and parts for 90 days. Should a failure occur due to the labor provided on your repair within 30 days, Total Home Protection will send another technician out to fix the problem at no additional cost to you.

Total Home Protection FAQ

What states does Total Home Protection cover?
    Total Home Protection covers 39 states. At this time, coverage is not available in California, Iowa, Maine, Massachusettes, Nevada, New York, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington or Wyoming.
    Is there a limit on the number of claims?
    There is no limit on the number of claims you can make during your contract term. However, there may be dollar limits and caps on covered items per contract term.
    How do I cancel Total Home Protection?
    If you cancel within 30 days of ordering, you will receive a full refund. Cancellation after 30 days will receive a pro-rated refund for the remainder of the contract and a $50 cancellation fee.
    What happens if a covered item cannot be repaired?
    If an item cannot be repaired, a replacement will be provided. If the cost of a replacement exceeds your coverage limit cap, Total Home Protection may provide a cash payout instead.

Is Total Home Protection worth it?

Total Home Protection provides plenty of coverage for homeowners. With monthly costs in line with the industry average and a below-average service call fee, we think Total Home Protection is worth it for homeowners looking for extra protection for their appliances and systems. A warranty can pay for itself with one repair.

Total Home Protection Company Information