Call toll free
3.57/5
Based on 248 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Total Home Protection strives to be the best in the home warranty industry. We have products and services that provide fast and efficient solutions. Total Home Protection promises to go above and beyond to help you get back on your feet. THP offers two plans for you to choose from that work with your budget. Regardless of age, make or model, we will cover repair or replace your covered items. Our technicians are licensed, pre-screened and insured to take care of your replacement or repair. Visit our website today for a free quote!

A-BBB Rating
View More View More

339 Total Home Protection Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 16, 2018

1) Chat bot is useless, just refers to company, answers almost no questions. 2) Be aware that the replacement appliances are builder grade cheapo. If you have high end appliances, don't expect them to replace like kind/quality.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Buying a home was a hard process, and I was sure that maintaining our home could be even more difficult and expensive. That is exactly why we decided to invest in a home warranty. The home warranty that we decided to settle on was extensive and I am very happy for that. Our home warranty agent was amazing! She asked the questions that I was hoping for about what we needed and what price range we were looking at. It made me happy that she took the time to get to know us a little bit too. I really enjoyed chatting with her.

I also like the fact that she did not try to sell us on any extras that we already told her that we didn't! I will suggest her to all of our friends and family! Total Home as a whole has proven itself to be a great, reliable company that makes it easy to get my repairs done, and my claims processed. We were able to repair some electricity issues we had early on, and afterwards, we did a minor repair in our roof. Very happy with their services.

Original review: June 15, 2018

My experience was pleasant. The agent was informative and knowledgeable of the plan. I did not feel pressured to buy the plan and the whole experience was not time consuming but direct and cordial and provided all the necessary information for me to choose the right plan.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Total Home Protection is the best when it comes to covering my repair and replacement costs. Recently my built-in microwave/toaster oven combo was malfunctioning; I was really troubled because I could not bear staying without it. I usually prepare lots of food and put them in the refrigerator then use the microwave to warm it whenever I feel hungry and now that it was not working I did not know what to do. I decided to call Total Home to see if they could provide me with assistance. They sent out a repairman who quickly fixed my microwave, and had it up and running in an hour.

I am glad I decided on Total Home. When I was in the market for a home warranty, I did a lot of research but I got interested on this one. Their coverage was generous and their terms were clear. I immediately called them and asked for their services. A representative took the phone and politely outlined to me the kind of warranty plans they offer. I accepted their services and hoped that when such inconvenience occurred again I will not need to worry. Hiring them was the best thing I did. The service was reliable and convenient. A few months after the incident with my microwave, my refrigerator had a problem and I was easily able to fix that too. Thanks a lot Total Home.

Original review: June 14, 2018

The oven in my Maytag Gemini stove took too long to heat up so I called Total Home Protection. They sent a technician out on 5/16/18 to replace the oven ignitor and fixed it. A few days later the oven wouldn't even heat up. I called them again and the same technician came out again on 5/30/18, examined the problem and said the control board was not functioning and the part was unavailable. I called Total Home Protection and asked them what would happen if they couldn't supply the part. They said they would replace the stove. Later on I contacted them and they refused to honor their warranty as they said my oven was dirty. They had their technician take a picture of it. The stove is 15 yrs old. I had just cleaned it 1 month or 2 earlier.

When the technician came out on 5/16/18 he took the bottom plate of the oven out. It had open places all around it to allow the heat out of course, and some of the cleaning debris that was charred fell out on the corners of the oven. The technician did not clean it when he got through putting the bottom plate back in. Replacing the stove would cost them $1400, that is why they are refusing to honor the contract. They didn't refuse to honor the contract when I called them out on 5/16/18 to replace the ignitor. They didn't accuse me of having a dirty oven then. It didn't cost that much to repair it, a big difference than $1400 to replace the stove. If the stove was "dirty" on 5/16/18 why didn't they refuse to fix it then? The answer is clear. I no longer have an operating oven in my stove. This is what you can expect to encounter if you purchase a warranty with Total Home Protection. Buyer beware!!!

Total Home Protection response
Thank you contacting us with the above referenced review. We at Total Home Protection treat each review with the utmost respect and use this feedback to better serve our valued customers. Understandably there are two sides to every story and always look for a fair resolution between all parties.
Mrs. Jowers placed a claim for the Oven not cooling on 5/9/2018. The first time the technician diagnosed the igniter failed. The claim was covered as it was under the pre set authorization amount and the technician did not mention the condition of the oven. He then called back in to advised there was a second failure and advised the unit was full of grease. The technician provided pictures and based on the diagnosis and the pictures, it was determine the failure was not covered due to Lack of Maintenance. Per our policy this failure is clearly excluded from coverage. Please see the referenced section of the policy below;
VII. GENERAL LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY
D. This Agreement covers only repairs and/or replacements due to mechanical failure attributable to ordinary wear and tear. Accordingly, the Agreement does not cover failures which may result from other causes, such as without limitation abuse; misuse and/or neglect; lack of maintenance; rust and/or corrosion; noise without a related mechanical failure; chemical or sedimentary build up; lightning strikes; missing parts; animal, pet and/or pest damage; power failure; power surge; fire; casualty; acts of God; structural and/or property damage; flood; smoke; earthquake; freeze damage; accidents; war; acts of terrorism; nuclear explosion, reaction, radiation or radioactive contamination; insurrection; riots; vandalism; or intentional destruction of property. This Agreement does not cover mechanical failures resulting directly or indirectly from or caused by mold, mildew, mycotoxins, fungus, bacteria, virus, condensation, and/or wet or dry rot regardless of the source, origin, or location and any other cause or event contributing concurrently or in any sequence to the mechanical failure.
All claims have been properly serviced in accordance with the Service Agreement - all contracts have inclusions as well as exclusions. We are committed to providing a positive customer experience and doing the right thing for all our customers, contractors, employees, and our company.
In an effort to provide good customer service,we offered a good will to either skip the next two monthly payments or a good will payment of $100.00 to put towards the repair/replacement. The customer rejected this offer.

We at Total Home Protection have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. If you have any further questions, please contact us at 1-800-545-0402.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

Original review: June 13, 2018

My home warranty was a life saver. When I first purchased my home, I was hesitant about buying a home warranty because I did not have any extra money. My gut told me to purchase one for a safety net. It was the best decision that I've ever made. Six months after purchasing my home, my pipes burst. I was upset, but my home warranty covered the cost. I only had to pay a small deductible and the whole process of finding someone to fix them and scheduling it was made easy by Total Home's customer service department. Definitely worth the money.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I purchased Total Home Warranty on May 8, 2018 for my home. After 30 days on June 7, 2018 I had an issue with my AC Unit so I contacted customer service to send out a technician. They said that since my contract became active that day the issue with my AC Unit would be considered a pre-existing condition and not covered. I tried explaining to them that my AC Unit had been looked at in May when a technician came out to replace a blown fuse, he checked the unit, my Freon level and stated that everything was working fine. Now I have a home warranty but will have to come out of pocket to find out what is wrong with the AC Unit so it makes me wonder why I signed up for a service that I need to wait past 30 days to use it. I guess they don't understand that isn't providing quality service to their customers.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I was looking at Total Home Protection online yesterday. Was called during my search by this company. Spoke to a young man who was very respectful, then proceeded to read some reviews of this company. After reading several reviews of very unhappy and dissatisfied customers, I made the decision to cancel my policy in a matter of minutes after signing up with the company. I called and left a message for the gentleman that I spoke with, as he indicated that I could cancel my policy at any time.

I did not hear back from him yesterday or today, so I called again. I did not enter the extension and the phone was answered. I was transferred to customer service and was on hold for 27 minutes. During this time, while holding for customer service, I got on their website and tried the "chat" icon they offer. It gave me nothing but the runaround. Which then solidified in my mind, exactly what the reviews that I had read stated. Once I did speak to a customer service representative, he was rude, had a self-righteous attitude and completely unprofessional. Unfortunately, this program would seem to be quite helpful for anybody but for the fact that the reviews of existing people holding policies, we're so dissatisfied with their service after paying them, they encouraged people not to use this company.

Now after my experience today, can say I'm very grateful that I took the time to read the reviews from these individuals who had experienced horrific outcomes to their claims of fixing their appliances. I explain to the individual that I spoke to initially that typically I am very thorough when I investigate something of this nature. And I will take full responsibility for not telling the young man that I would call him back after I finished my looking at his company's background.

My advice to anybody is check out reviews on this company that are not on their website. That is what made me see the light, and after speaking to the loudmouth customer service representative boasting of his 14 years as a customer service representative and their Better Business Bureau record, which if you know anything about the Better Business Bureau, doesn't hold water. Please do what I did not, and that is, do not be foolish enough to take a phone call while in the middle of looking at the website and finding out all the information before you speak to somebody.

Original review: June 13, 2018

After not being able to use my dishwasher for a week, I finally called Total Home to have someone come out to look at it. A technician came out to fix my dishwasher, and after trying, and trying he couldn't get it to work. The best part of my home warranty coverage is that my dishwasher was replaced free of charge since the technician couldn't fix it, and their customer service line is so easily accessible, so if I have any troubles with my new dishwasher I can contact them at any time.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Excellent customer service, very helpful in explaining all the details of home warranty coverage. We are senior and money is an issue but he did help so we are able to afford the warranty. We appreciate all the information he provided cause we are first time customer. Thank you Sam.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I’m so glad that I got a home warranty because it covers a lot of major repairs for my home. It's been a lifesaver because it also covers repairs on my appliances. When I bought my home it came with a nice built in refrigerator and freeze. Well my fridge stopped and I was really hoping I wouldn't have to replace it. I put a call in to Total Home's customer line and spoke with a rep who was very knowledgeable about repairs. I was so surprised. He was actually able to conclude that my fridge could be fixed and definitely did not need a replacement. He scheduled a technician to come out that week, and my fridge was fixed. If I didn’t have my warranty, I would've had to have paid much, much more than $60. I would never not have a home warranty on my home in the future.

Original review: June 12, 2018

When we bought our house and we decided to purchase a warranty through Total Home at the suggestion of the former home owner. I am glad we have this warranty because the hot water heater went out last week. I called up Total Home and they made the arrangements for someone to come over the next day. The technician was on time and very nice. It was indeed completely out and had to be replaced. Total Home made arrangements to order the replacement and had the technician rescheduled to install it. That day, he took just about an hour installing the replacement and we had warm water again. I was only responsible for $75, which is great! I will be renewing my warranty this year. The low price is worth having the coverage, as many home repairs are expensive.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I had the pleasure of speaking with Timothy in the customer service department. He had called me while I was searching for home warranties online. From the time I spoke with him regarding the services the company provides to the end of the call, he was very knowledgeable and concerned about our needs for a home warranty. I explained to him the concerns and disappointment I have been experiencing with the current company and he made me feel comfortable in purchasing the warranty plan with Total Home Protection. He listened and delivered everything I had asked for. Very patient and kind. I would recommend my family and friends to Total home warranty based on the experience so far. Great job! Thanks Timothy.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I am so glad I found Total Home Protection. My husband is disabled and we live on a fixed income and sure could use some extra help that Total Home Protection can give us. Thank you so much Total Home Protection.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Finally came across a good sales man who explains the value of the coverage, and the history of the company and equally important open to what's the competitions are doing out there. Let's see how the service looks like when things break down!

Original review: June 8, 2018

Timothy was good, still waiting for full rundown of coverage and cost of what I am getting until January 2022. I want to know what I get as a bonus and what I am paying for. I know some are free and total yearly costs.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I have a big family and I usually host the get togethers. Needless to say not having a working oven would ruin things! Of course that's exactly what happened, at the very worst moment. I was really worried that my home warranty wouldn't cover it because the stove is not nearly brand new and probably only failed due to being used too often for too long. I called anyway, hoping that it would still be covered. The short answer? Yes it was! Not only that but when the home warranty was reviewed and the oven inspected I was given a replacement unit instead of a repair because it was definitely beyond repair. This customer service greatly exceeded my expectations and although I hope no more of my kitchen appliances fail anytime soon, at least I have the confidence of knowing my home warranty will take care of things and most importantly help me not stress out when these things happen.

Original review: June 8, 2018

After owning several homes over the years, I am so glad that I have always purchased a home warranty. Of course, like most warranties, you get what you pay for and no two companies offer the exact same coverage. But, I have to say that Total Home Protection hasn’t disappointed me yet. They offer extensive coverage plans at great prices! Furthermore, Total Home Protection is very upfront with their terms and conditions—what you think your plan covers it covers, plain and simple. I honestly couldn’t imagine owning a home without a home warranty. Bottom line, your home is an investment and what needs to be repaired or replaced should never be a drain on your finances.

Original review: June 8, 2018

The representative was friendly and professional. He introduced himself as Kyle. He offered to discuss several plans. I chose the Platinum Plan: This plan includes the following and more, All kitchen appliances, TVs, ceiling fans, electrical service, plumbing service, air conditioner and/or air/heat system, heat pump, sewer pump, hot water tank, washer/dryer, garage door, others...

Original review: June 7, 2018

OMG, don't choose this company. The contractors that work for them are of poor quality and are truly in cahoots with them. THP required that I pay for a leak test for the AC unit. I paid and got a diagnosis. I had another company come out, and they said the first diagnosis was without a doubt incorrect. They did nothing, and the issues continued. Overall, find another company!!

Original review: June 7, 2018

I signed up with this company in November, 2017, but in May, 2018 my washer went out on the eleventh and my AC unit went out on the 13th. I called Total Home on the eleventh and the 14th because no one showed or called me to set up a appointment to fix my washer on the eleventh. I was given a company called Budget Appliance and was told that I needed to call them to make an appointment. I called them but got a message saying that their mailbox was full so I left a SMS but I never heard back from them until the 15th.

The contractor came to my house with someone who brought him in their personal vehicle. He did not appear to be a service tech because he had no AC tools yet he told me that the caps weren't on my system which I knew nothing about but he said that he would put Freon in the system for an additional fee of $60.00. He cleaned out the dirt and leaves with my water hose but I never saw him put Freon in the unit. He told me not to turn the system on because it was wet so I waited until the next day then turned it on and for three hours it never cooled my house.

In the meantime he never said anything about servicing my washer. I called Total Home Protection the next day and complained about being charged an extra fee and I was told that he wasn't supposed to do that. He was to do a diagnosis report and send it to them. Total Home Protection did nothing to reimburse me for the additional fee but wanted to send him back to my house to service my washer. I declined to have this guy come to my house again. I called Total Home Protection and cancelled the plan and ended up purchasing a new AC unit and a washer to the tune of over $3,300.00. I complained to the BBB and all Total Home Protection did was lie making me look like the bad guy. Please don't do business with this company. You will regret it.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you contacting us regarding this review. We at Total Home Protection treat each review with the utmost respect and use this feedback to better serve our valued customers. Understandably there are two sides to every story and always look for a fair resolution between all parties.

The customer placed a claim for a Air Condition not cooling on 5/15/2018. The diagnosis concluded that the cause of the failure was the caps for the unit were off the unit when the technician arrived causing freon to leak. States whoever handled the previous repair left the caps off. Per our policy this failure is excluded from coverage. Please see the referenced section of the policy below;
VII. GENERAL LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY

R. This Agreement does not cover any mechanical failure when the covered item or system has been repaired, modified, disabled or adjusted in any way which prevents us or our independent Service Contractor(s) from inspecting, diagnosing and/or repairing the mechanical failure. This Agreement does not cover any mechanical failure to any covered item or system that has been improperly altered, repaired, installed, modified or damaged in the course of remodeling or unauthorized repair.

The washing machine claim was submitted on 5/11/2018 but we were advised on 5/15/2018 that the technician never received the work order and it was resent. We were informed by the customer on 5/18/2018 that they purchased a new unit. Being we are not an emergency service the technician has 2 days during normal business hours and 4 days on weekends and holidays. Although the claim was submitted on 5/11/2018 and the work order was sent to the repair company we were not informed until 5/15/2018 that it was not received at which time we resent the work order.

The customer requested to cancel on 5/18/2018, in an effort to provide good customer service we refunded their monthly payment to them.

Original review: June 7, 2018

A home warranty is just one of those things that you never know how much you need it until you have to use it and this company is the gold standard. It seemed that one thing after the other either stopped working or worked incorrectly in our home in a short time span. In two weeks we had two electrical outlets go out, a dishwasher that would not advance past the wash cycle, and a dryer that would shut off as soon as it was turned on. We are always on a tight budget so unplanned repairs are a disaster for us. When I called Total Home, they made the repair process so easy. We were able to file claims for each item over the phone, and scheduled specialized contractors to do the repairs. The rep was able to schedule them all around the same time so we would not have to be inconvenienced on separate days. Everything went smoothly. I could not be more satisfied with the outcome.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Well, having just signed up last year for a 5 yr. contract, I am starting to regret it with this company. The central heating unit stopped pumping out heat with only cold air coming out. The first repairman that came to look at it mentioned most contractors do not like to take Home Protection repair calls as they did not pay very much. The heater at that time started to work. Then it stopped, the second repairman that out came said it was the Relay switch, that would be close to $1,000. He said he would let the company know. No one calls me to follow up. I called and this company said, "oh, the relay switch was recalled and not covered." After searching for recalls online and talking to Consumer Affairs 800 number given to me by the heater company, I was told there was no recall and the part had been recalled, it would not have lasted 10 years.

Then my spa started going on by itself last week, I was given a contractor who set an appointment on last Saturday at 8:30 am and did not show up or call. Monday I called and when I identified me, he hung up on me. I called again and no answer. I called THP and the rep Daniele said she would call the contractor and give him to the end of the day to respond. Well this is the 2nd day, and no one has called me back. Oh, the only reason I give one star is that a washing machine came to fix an old Maytag a few months ago and put in a $160. belt and that was covered. I also purchased one year contracts on two rental houses in Arizona, let's hope nothing more than $200 breaks, and I absolutely will not be renewing with them. I have filed a complaint with the Department of Insurance in Sacramento California.

Original review: June 6, 2018

This company is absolutely terrible! Why they claim to be "Consumer Affairs Accredited" makes me wonder about this organization as well. They are scammers, collecting insurance premiums like clockwork, but when it comes to actually paying for repairs, they deny flat out any coverage. Stay away from these crooks. They are in the business to take your money and they very well know that only a certain percentage will create a stink over this, so they refund you your premium or offer some other deal to sole their advantage. Stay away!

Total Home Protection response

Please be advised that we are unable to locate this customer in our system as one of our customers.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I own a pretty decent family home in California. I took on a comprehensive home warranty from Total Home and I was amazed by the coverage I got. Most of every facet of the house is covered in the plan; from plumbing, to repair of my garage doors, built-in electrical appliances like microwaves and several other things. I also had an option to have my extra deep freezer as well. This warranty came in very handy when I had an electrical fault that destroyed my microwave. It is an ideal plan that I would recommend to anyone.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Watch out for a little clause in the agreement, stating 'this agreement does not cover any known or unknown pre-existing conditions,' under which they can practically deny any claim! Typical bait-and-switch outlet, where you seemingly signup for a services at a low (reasonable) price, only to find out that claims are categorically denied. The independent technician sent to our home, diagnosed a replacement instead of a repair. We had to pay $60 for that opinion/ service order - in addition to the insurance premium, only for it to get instantly denied by Total Home Protection adjusters. Customer service (Dispute Resolution Specialists) are rude and incompetent. Stay away for this company and find a better, more reputable service provider.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I called 5 times to cancel my policy number and the guy said: "I can hear you properly, that's not true, because I could hear him properly and he answer me all questions." I am so disappointed with this company.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I called on Saturday about my water heater. I am aware that you not an emergency service. I have not received any acknowledgment of my request, much less any information that a technician has been assigned my work. Please take care of this.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Timothy ** was very pleasant and worked with me to get the best possible deal for me. I reviewed two other plans before speaking with Total Home. I felt I received a good value for my time spent with this young man on the phone.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I was looking online at what other people were saying about Total Home Protection and it seemed more legitimate. I have been with them for two months now and I have filed a claim over the phone. The representative was really good. The recent service I had with them was for my AC not cooling. The contractor came right away, and the AC is running now. Everything was taken care of within a few days. But I’m confused if the people from Total Home knew that we already got service because we keep getting phone calls after from all kinds of different people. They were trying to sell us the program again. Other than that, I would recommend Total Home.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you for selecting Total Home Protection for all your home warranty needs. We know your time is valuable so we take feedback very seriously. Your feedback allows us to improve our business and promote the level of service expected from a trusted industry leader. Total Home Protection strives to be a top rated home warranty provider. We have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. We sincerely thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service during normal business hours at 1-800-545-0402.

Total Home Protection expert review by Michele Lerner

Total Home Protection (THP) provides warranty plans for homeowners, real estate agents and home sellers. THP offers two plans as well as additional coverage so homeowners can choose the protection they need.

• No limit on age, make or model: The appliances covered by THP warranties are eligible for repair or replacement, no matter their age, make or model.

• Free month: Consumers can try one of Total Home Protection’s single payment home warranty plans for a month, for free, to see how they can benefit from it.

• Claims hours: Total Home Protection has 24/7 claims service, so customers can file a claim as soon as a system or appliance malfunctions.

• Service providers: THP’s Servicing Guidelines are available on the website, and they include proof of licensing, insurance minimums and the expectation that each contractor will make a service appointment no more than four hours after receiving a work order.

• Work guarantee: THP has a 90 day guarantee on parts and 30 day guarantee on labor for work performed by their contractors. If a problem occurs within the guaranteed period, the company will send another provider to repair it without charging a second service fee.

• Best for: homeowners, homebuyers and realtors.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Total Home Protection Company Information