Call toll free
3.53/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Total Home Protection strives to be the best in the home warranty industry. We have products and services that provide fast and efficient solutions. Total Home Protection promises to go above and beyond to help you get back on your feet. THP offers two plans for you to choose from that work with your budget. Regardless of age, make or model, we will cover repair or replace your covered items. Our technicians are licensed, pre-screened and insured to take care of your replacement or repair. Visit our website today for a free quote!

A-BBB Rating
View More View More

749 Total Home Protection Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: April 19, 2019

Quick and easy telephonic process. Representative addressed all questions/concerns. Presented information clearly and offered discounts which is always a bonus. Representative emailed confirmation and information before the completion of the call. Coverage is better than other competing home warranty businesses and the service call is lower.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you for selecting Total Home Protection for all your home warranty needs. We know your time is valuable so we take feedback very seriously. Your feedback allows us to improve our business and promote the level of service expected from a trusted industry leader. Total Home Protection strives to be a top rated home warranty provider. We have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. We sincerely thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service during normal business hours.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Total Home Protection called us out to a customer's home and approved the job, when it came time for billing they refused the discussed dollar amount and when we stated that we would no longer work for them because of that issue they locked down our account and refused to accept any invoices from us for services rendered. We waived the bill to prevent the homeowner any worry, but I would not recommend their services. We could have taken action but that would negatively affect the customer and they don't deserve that.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Effective immediately please cancel my contract. Found a better service. Inform me via e-mail when this is accomplished. I tried to cancel this a while back and you wouldn't do it. I no longer need or want this service. Please DO NOT call me about this. Just cancel it and send me some type of notification that this has been done. Thank you. Wayne **.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 15, 2019

I DO NOT recommend this company to have as your provider in a home warranty protection policy. Things I discovered I wish I knew before I signed-up with this company as a home warranty protection is their policy with concerning reimbursement if you cancel. You should read it, they charge you 50.00 and they DO NOT reimburse you for your payments after 30 days, even if you never filed a claim with them. Check your location, you may not be in a service contractor area. Which means you have to find someone who will service your problem, pay them out of pocket and file a claim that may or may not be approved for reimbursement.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you contacting us with the above referenced review. We at Total Home Protection treat each review with the utmost respect and use this feedback to better serve our valued customers. Understandably there are two sides to every story and always look for a fair resolution between all parties.

The consumer placed a claim for a tankless water heater on 2/19/2019. Unable to get a vendor with availability we offered the consumer to go through reimbursement. Reimbursement is where the consumer contacts a local vendor to diagnose the unit and once approved, we would send a reimbursement check upon receipt of the invoice. During the initial call-in questionnaire, we asked the consumer when was the last time the unit was working properly to which he replied 2/18/2019. As per the terms of service:

This Agreement does not cover any known or unknown pre-existing conditions.

Coverage applies to the systems and components mentioned as “covered” in accordance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement so long as such systems and components are in place and

in proper working order on the effective date of this Agreement.

Coverage went into effect on 2/15/2019. The multiple failures reported on the unit would not happen within the short life span of the policy, as these failures develop over time.

In an effort to provide good customer service, we offered the consumer $100 towards the cost of the repair, to which he declined, and ultimately decided to cancel the policy. After the first 30 days the policy is subject to the cancellation fees, which were not charged on this policy.

All claims have been properly serviced in accordance with the Service Agreement. We are committed to providing a positive customer experience and doing the right thing for all our customers, contractors, employees, and our company.

We at Total Home Protection have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. If you have any questions, please contact me at 1-800-545-0402.

www.totalhomeprotection.com

Original review: April 13, 2019

Total Home Protection has good service. Although, it took me a while to get them from calling me all the time and they always wanna keep selling me the plans. When I already got the plan, they quit calling me but three weeks later, they called me again. That aside, I have had their service for close to a year. I had one claim with them for the oven and the process was easy. I called them then they sent out a repairman on a Saturday. He cleaned and got the parts on Monday and came back a couple of days later to fix it. So far, I have had good experience with them.

Total Home Protection response

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

Original review: April 12, 2019

I have Total Home Protection in my rental place. I used to have somebody else but I was not really happy with them. I went online, looked at some prices and decided to try Total Home Protection. The price is right and so far, I'm very happy with them. My tenant is happy, too. I had to go online and speak to people to get permission to add her to the account and let her submit claims. When she submitted a claim for the clothes dryer, it took for someone to call and make an appointment, but once she finally got through and got a return call, everything was very good. The contractor came out one time, changed the belt, and the repair was done. Also, I have another unit and I use another warranty company for that. They charge $100 per visit and the cost becomes prohibitive. When that runs out, I'm gonna switch over with Total Home Protection.

Original review: April 11, 2019

When I was considering this warranty 8 months ago the salesperson told me to get it for peace of mind. If anything breaks down, if they can't fix it they will replace it. Well my HVAC system (A/C & heating) was not heating my house when we had a cold spell a few weeks ago (3/26/19). So I decided to put a claim in and within 24 hours got a reply. I called the repair company and the technician came and told me it was the TXV valve (thermal expansion valve) that's not working. Well Total Home Protection told the tech that the part wasn't covered.

The TXV valve is a major part of the system? I pulled my contract and read it and most of the major parts that makes up the system wasn't covered? There are more parts not covered than covered (red flag). So this warranty is useless and it definitely isn't giving me a peace of mind. So I am out of pocket the service fee and the problem is not fixed. I will be canceling the contract because it's worthless, a waste of time and money.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you contacting us with the above referenced complaint. We at Total Home Protection treat each complaint with the utmost respect and use this feedback to better serve our valued customers. Understandably there are two sides to every story and always look for a fair resolution between all parties.

The consumer placed a claim for the heating system on 4/8/2019 stating the heat pump is not working properly. The vendor reported the failure was with the thermal expansion valve not reversing to go into heat. Per our policy, this failure is excluded from coverage. Please see the referenced section of the policy below:

V. COVERAGE

A. Air Conditioning System

Note: Coverage available on Air Conditioning units up to a 5-ton capacity, and for residential use only.

COVERED: Mechanical parts and components of two (2) ducted electric central air conditioning systems. All components and parts for units below 13 SEER and/or R-22 equipment, and when we are unable to facilitate repair and/or replacement of failed covered equipment at the current SEER rating or with R-22 equipment, repair and/or replacement will be performed with 13 SEER/R410A equipment and/or 7.7 HSPF or higher compliant, except:

NOT COVERED: Filters; filter driers; condenser casings; registers and grills; water towers; humidifiers; chillers; electronic air cleaners; window units; non-ducted wall units; mini-split wall units; gas air conditioning systems; water evaporative coolers; swamp coolers; condensate pumps; thermal expansion valves; all exterior condensing, cooling and pump pads; disconnect boxes; roof mounts, jacks, stands or supports; cost for crane rentals; electronic, computerized, and manual systems management and zone controllers; commercial grade equipment; refrigerant conversion; leak detections; water leaks; drain line stoppages or drain pans; failures due to open windings, line restrictions, filter driers; maintenance; rusted and/or corroded coils; component short to ground; noise without a related mechanical failure; improperly sized units; air conditioning with mismatched condensing unit and evaporative coil per manufacturer specifications; improper use of metering devices (i.e. thermal expansion valves). We are not responsible for the costs associated with matching dimensions, brand or color made. We will not pay for any modifications or upgrades necessitated by the repair of existing equipment or the installation of new equipment. We will pay up to $10 per pound per occurrence for refrigerant. You are responsible for payment of any costs in excess of $10 per pound.

All claims have been properly serviced in accordance with the Service Agreement - all contracts have inclusions as well as exclusions. We are committed to providing a positive customer experience and doing the right thing for all our customers, contractors, employees, and our company.

In an effort to provide good customer service, we offered $100 towards the cost of the repair as well as a free service charge fee which will be applied to a future claim, which the consumer accepted.

Original review: April 11, 2019

The information given me was very helpful. However Chris told me I would receive an email showing breakdown of costs paid to you and cost savings I would either receive have received. I have yet to receive it. Need ASAP. Unable to reach Chris on phone # given as mailbox is full.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you for selecting Total Home Protection for all your home warranty needs. We know your time is valuable so we take feedback very seriously. Your feedback allows us to improve our business and promote the level of service expected from a trusted industry leader. Total Home Protection strives to be a top rated home warranty provider. We have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. After reviewing the consumer’s policy, we show that he called in on 4/18/2019 and spoke with one of our Resolutions Managers who was able to provide him with the information requested.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I filed claim for water heater, and they sent a contractor out that misdiagnosed the problem. They diagnosed something else and they refused the claim. I also filed a claim for my dishwasher, and the contractor never showed up. I called back again about my water heater after someone told me what the problem was, and they assigned a contractor that I had to call and their payment methods were different than what the warranty specified. They diagnosed the problem as to what was told to me, but they denied the claim saying it was under manufactures warranty. Mind you that the manufacturers does come out and do repairs. I ended up paying someone to do the repair out of my pocket plus I had paid for these service fees. I have been paying for something that has not benefited me whatsoever. They are the worst home protection warranty ever. You get what you pay for, so spend a little more to get better protection.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Very satisfied. Gentleman was very helpful. My home was stuck by lightning five years ago. Had to replace gas line, air unit, washer, dryer, stove inside kept catching on fire, microwave, hot water heater. We were lucky we were not in home when it happened. Even neighbor to South of me had to replace gas line and wife's car window was shattered. Lady to North was standing at sink was shocked. But my home took worst hit.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you for selecting Total Home Protection for all your home warranty needs. We know your time is valuable so we take feedback very seriously. Your feedback allows us to improve our business and promote the level of service expected from a trusted industry leader. Total Home Protection strives to be a top rated home warranty provider. We have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. We sincerely thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service during normal business hours at 1-800-545-0402.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Very good except waiting for some paperwork. Happy with salesman. He conducted sale professionally. Unable to write any more about salesman. Would like to see coverage in writing as soon as possible. I'm sure you could be quicker sending paperwork since my credit card was taken right away.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you for selecting Total Home Protection for all your home warranty needs. We know your time is valuable so we take feedback very seriously. Your feedback allows us to improve our business and promote the level of service expected from a trusted industry leader. Total Home Protection strives to be a top rated home warranty provider. We have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. A paper copy of the policy is currently being printed and mailed to you. We sincerely thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service during normal business hours at 1-800-545-0402.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I recommend. This program to anybody. The services are amazing. They answer all your questions. And take their time to explaining everything to the smaller detail. I am very happy with the quality of programs they offer for my home. Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 5, 2019

This company is a complete joke. I have wasted my money and time to say the least. They have not lived up to their advertisement. Their vendors are 1-2 hours away. It's a lack of communication with the dispatch and specialist departments. I have filed 3 claims with them for my refrigerator and dish washer. I was pretty much forced to do the ground work myself to find a vendor in my area in order to get my equipment working. They have no corperate centers to make complaints or speak to anyone higher than the operator when there's an issue. I would not recommend anyone to use this company!!! Unless you want to be stressed out like I am currently. I know I will have to get my fridge fixed out of my pocket. Meanwhile I have paid this company nearly $1000 for the next 3 years and can't get a cancellation or refund. Domonique, Ca

Total Home Protection response

Thank you contacting us with the above referenced review. We at Total Home Protection treat each complaint with the utmost respect and use this feedback to better serve our valued customers. Understandably there are two sides to every story and always look for a fair resolution between all parties.

The consumer placed a claim for a refrigerator on 4/3/2019. We assigned a vendor on 4/5/2019 as per the policy

III. REQUESTING SERVICE – CALL (800) 545-0402

B. Upon request for service under normal circumstances, we will contact an authorized Service Contractor within two (2) days during normal business hours and four (4) days on weekends and holidays after you request service. The authorized Service Contractor will contact you to schedule a mutually convenient appointment during normal business hours. We will determine what repairs constitute an emergency and will make reasonable efforts to expedite emergency service. We will accept your request to expedite scheduling of non-emergency service only when a Service Contractor is available. If the Service Contractor agrees to expedite scheduling of a non-emergency service request, you may be required to pay an additional fee.

Once the appointment is secured and the vendor goes out to diagnose the issue, we can determine how to resolve the claim. We have confirmed with the vendor that he has had communication with the consumer and will try to accommodate for today, 4/10/2019.

In an effort to provide good customer service, we have waived the service call fee associated with this claim.

Original review: April 4, 2019

Your representative informed me that all repairs would be covered after the month. The policy was paid for in February 5, 2019. I called in a repair on 3/27/2019. However, I had to call your company multiple times before the order was executed. On 4/4/2019 Total Air Systems turned up at 3:30 PM to do the job. They presented me with a bill for $815.09. Air systems identified that condenser fan motor was defective and require freon. I spoke to Karon and he notified me that it was not covered. Further, I spoke to the Kevin the supervisor who also told me that this repair is the result of pre-existing condition. I must protest this sales representative who informed me that all conditions would be covered. Therefore I am cancelling my contract effective 4/4/19 and request my refund promptly. I will notify my friends after recommending them, from falling in this trap and proceed further with this false representation.

Original review: April 4, 2019

When I purchased the warranty, I explained that my appliances were working at the present time, but they were not new, and that my home was built in 2005 and therefore my heating and cooling systems were not new. When I filed the claim I was told that I would be contacted within 24 to 48 hours. The claim was filed on 3/26/2019. I had to call back on 3/29/2015 to check the status. I was transferred to a gentleman who gave me the name of a repairman. I called the repairman immediately. He said he was just getting ready to call me, and he came out that day. My motor was bad and it would be in on Monday.

I called back Wednesday and then told me my claim was denied. Immediately called the warranty company and was told it was a pre-existing condition. Since this did not correspond to what I had been told, I said I wanted to cancel the contract. I was transferred to a manager who said he would mail a check for $100.00 to the repairman to help with the additional of the repair so that I would continue with the company. He agreed to send me an email with all the details. Although, didn't think it was right, I agreed.

This morning, I have no email, the repairman's mailbox is full and I have been told by the warranty company at 10:54 that their system was down and to call back in fifteen minutes. I called back at 11:26 to be told it was still down and to call back in 30 minutes. I was told there was no one available to help me. I was told all managers were in a meeting. I was placed in line for call back. Received call back and then asked if I wanted to be placed on list again. Stayed on and they kept asking if I wanted to be placed on a call back list, that their goal was to provide unwavering customer service, Keisha came on the line in 13.32 minutes and I repeated everything again and told her I wanted to cancel the contract. Again I was supposed to be transferred to the person who could help me.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 3, 2019

I was called immediately with information and the caller was very helpful. The time on the phone did not take very long at all. I didn't care too much for the negative advertising against other companies and their offers but I received that from every company that reached out to me.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I paid $3500 for two contracts on two different properties. First of all this company has caps on each item they will pay, and it isn't made clear in their contracts. Second of all, when I tried to cancel the contracts after two year and only two claims, I was told that the rate would change to a higher rate for cancellation and I would not get any of my money back that I paid for the next 5 years in advance. I was sold a "bill of goods" and cheated out of my refund. This company is a cheat and misrepresents its commitment to its customer. Avoid THP at all costs.

Original review: April 2, 2019

The sale person was very nice, courteous and presented his sale in a well mannered way. Was not a pushy salesperson. I did like that about Stan, very good sale person. Convinced me to buy in a polite way!

Total Home Protection response

Original review: April 1, 2019

Jeff was great, give me a great deal. Hope service is half as good. Offered a good deal for being a veteran & senior citizen but I could not afford it at this time... Thanks for everything and I will remember everything next year.

Total Home Protection response

Original review: March 28, 2019

Customer Service Supervisor was rude and argumentative. Only covered one of my four issues the rest were considered pre-existing or not covered. I've lost power to much of my house yet they won't fix it because they claim its due to a power surge! The technician that showed up looked homeless, wearing a dingy white shirt, untucked, and hardly spoke English. He was very unprofessional. He told us he'd be back in 3 business days to do the repairs. Almost a week later, I still hadn't heard from him so I called Total Home Protection, only to wait an hour and discover they weren't going to cover the issues the technician said he'd repair! I am so frustrated at this company! Don't waste your money like I did!

Original review: March 27, 2019

It was very difficult to file a claim with Total Home Protection. From the time I called them, they didn't call me back until three or four days. They gave me a number, so I called it and I got another company which took another two or three days to get back with me. It took seven or eight days for anybody to come to my house to look at the appliance. I was very aggravated and disappointed with the service until I got the actual service from the people that came. They took care of things quickly and effectively, so I was very pleased. After somebody came and fixed things, I was okay. It's just that their response time and the time it took to get somebody in my house way too long. It shouldn't take that long. My experience with the contractors was the best, nevertheless. They fixed the problem and they fixed it on the same day.

The experience before they came was horrible. The first time I called Total Home Protection, it felt like a scam because they said they didn't have anybody to work on the dryer in the whole state of Alabama. It was hard to believe. It was my first claim and it was very frustrating and disappointing. And having the appliances down, my wife had to pay extra and went around three hours outside trying to find a place to do the laundry. It was crazy, but they finally got it right and sent somebody, and that somebody was very effective. In the end, I was pleased. However, I am not ready to recommend Total Home Protection because I only had one experience and one claim, and it was 50/50. The first part of it was very frustrating and disappointing, while the last time was very good.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I ordered bought and paid for a Home warranty plan. I have not received anything, not a receipt, a plan information packet, NOTHING! I called to request information and was told they would e-mail me information and NOTHING! All I want is the information on the Plan I purchased.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you for selecting Total Home Protection for all your home warranty needs. We know your time is valuable so we take feedback very seriously. Your feedback allows us to improve our business and promote the level of service expected from a trusted industry leader. Total Home Protection strives to be a top rated home warranty provider. We have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. We will be sending anther copy of the policy to the consumer to the email we have on file. In an effort to provide good customer service, we will be adding a free service charge fee to the policy which will be applied to the consumer’s first claim to be placed. We sincerely thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service during normal business hours at 1-800-545-0402.

Original review: March 27, 2019

This company is not reliable! They failed to honor their responsibilities. 2 1/2 months trying to get my air conditioning unit & thermostat fixed. Company sent unreliable and very sketchy contractor to my home. I requested a refund for my policy and was told it would be refunded then 2 months later I was refunded a prorated amount. Spent HOURS on hold trying to get resolution. Told I would be contacted back and did not happen. Regret ever giving this company a chance - nothing but frustration, wasted time and wasted way too much money.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Been customer for a 1 1/2 years, I finally need a repair in my home. The technician come to repair the washer and stated that the pump cracked which made the washer leak. He called this into your office and was told this repair was not covered. This mechanical problem is covered.

To Whom It May Concern:

The consumer placed a claim for clothes washer on 03/22/2019 stating the unit was leaking. The vendor reported that the failure was with a foreign object being stuck in the drain pump causing it to crack and leak. Per our policy this type of failure did not constitute as a normal wear and tear. Please see the referenced section of the policy below;

I. BASIS FOR COVERAGE

During the term of this Agreement, we agree to pay the covered costs to repair or replace the items listed as covered on your Agreement Coverage Summary if any such items become inoperable due to mechanical failure caused by normal wear and tear. Determination of Coverage including the operational condition as of the Agreement effective date for any claim will be made solely by us, considering but not limited to, our independent contractor’s diagnosis, hereinafter referred to as the “Service Contractor”. This Agreement does not cover any known or unknown pre-existing conditions. It is understood that WE ARE NOT A SERVICE CONTRACTOR and is not itself undertaking to repair or replace any such systems or components. This Agreement covers single-family homes, new construction homes, condominiums, townhomes, and mobile homes under 5,000 square feet, unless an alternative dwelling type (i.e. above 5,000 square feet or multi-unit home) is applied, and appropriate fees are paid. This Agreement will not cover systems or appliances within (a) commercial properties; (b) residential properties used for business purposes, including, but not limited to, dwellings used for rest homes, day care centers, schools and/or professional offices; (c) common areas of condominiums, multi-family houses and/or cooperatives; (d) vacant properties, and; (e) foreclosed/short sold properties. Coverage applies to the systems and components mentioned as “covered” in accordance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement so long as such systems and components:

A. Become inoperable due to normal wear and tear; and

B. Are in place and in proper working order on the effective date of this Agreement; and

C. Are located inside the confines of the main foundation of the home or attached or detached garage, with the exception of the air conditioner, exterior pool/spa, septic system, and well pump.

In an effort to provide good customer service, we overturned the claim and approved the repair for the clothes washer. The consumer contacted us and advised there were some communication issues with the vendor that was originally assigned. We then assigned a new vendor to complete the repair, but the consumer ultimately decided to cancel the policy.

We at Total Home Protection have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. If you have any further questions, please contact us at 1-800-545-0402.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I purchased a homeowner's insurance plan for my condo and used it a total of 3 times with every single claim being denied. The first claim was for my oven regulator not working properly because it was burning all the food. The claim was denied. The second claim was my dishwasher wasn't working properly and it was backed up. The claim was denied.

The 3rd claim was the fridge was leaking and it needed a new gasket. The claim was denied. I had to pay out of pocket all 3 times and they always had some lame excuse as to why they couldn't help me. What's the point of buying insurance, if they can't repair anything. I will never use these guys again and go with a more reputable provider. Don't get scammed like I did and don't waste your money. I will go back to Fidelity because I never had this problem and they always took care of me. I thought that I could save a few dollars with Total Home Protection but I was wrong. You get what you pay for. These guys are crooks and shouldn't be in business.

Total Home Protection response

The consumer placed a claim for an oven on 6/9/2018. During the initial call-in questionnaire, we asked the consumer when the last time the unit was working properly, and the consumer advised 6/8/2018. As per the terms of service:

VII. GENERAL LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY

A. The following are not included during the contract term; (i) malfunction or improper operation due to rust or corrosion of all systems and appliances, (ii) collapsed ductwork, (iii) known or unknown pre-existing conditions, deficiencies and/or defects.

Coverage went into effect on 6/8/2018. Being that the unit stopped working properly on the start date of the policy, this show the unit did not, in fact, enter into the policy in proper working order.

The consumer also placed a claim for a dishwasher on 8/21/2018 stating it was leaking water. The vendor reported the leak was coming from a garbage disposal that was improperly installed. Per our policy, this is a failure which is not covered. Please see the referenced section of the policy below:

VII. GENERAL LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY

E. This Agreement shall not cover any item(s) if they are mismatched systems with components having incompatible capacity ratings; modified from the original manufacturer design or application; items determined to be defective by the Consumer Product Safety Commission or the manufacturer and for which either has issued, or issues, a warning or recall, or which is otherwise necessitated due to failure caused by the manufacturer’s improper design, use of improper materials and/or formulas, manufacturing process or any other manufacturing defect; improperly installed; or below the slab or basement floor of the home; or located outside the perimeter of the main foundation (i.e., outside the outer load bearing walls of the structure with the exception of central air conditioning unit, main electrical panel) or unless specifically covered with Optional Coverage purchased for items outside the main perimeter.

The consumer then placed a claim for a refrigerator on 3/6/2019 stating it freezes food one minute then turns warm. The vendor reported the failure was due to a ripped door gasket as well as a broken light socket. Per our policy, these failures are excluded from coverage. Please see the referenced section of the policy below:

V. COVERAGE

C. Refrigerator Note: Refrigerator must be located in the kitchen.

COVERED: All components and parts, including integral freezer unit, except:

NOT COVERED: Racks; shelves; glass; lighting; handles; doors, door seals, hinges, and gaskets; Freon; disposal and recapture of Freon; ice makers, ice crushers, beverage dispensers and their respective equipment; water lines and valve to ice maker; line restrictions; leaks of any kind; maintenance; interior thermal shells; freezers which are not an integral part of the refrigerator; wine chillers or mini refrigerators; food spoilage; noise without a related mechanical failure; multi-media centers and internet connection components.

In an effort to provide good customer service, an additional service charge fee has been added to the policy which will be applied to the next submitted claim.

Original review: March 25, 2019

The salesman was very pleasant and I was happy to sign up. However the problems with website access give me concerns as to how well you will process a claim. Just have to wait and see when the time comes.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Everything was explained to me, all my questions were answered. I signed up and I even referred my cousin Sheryl **, and she called and signed up. There was no pressure and Stanley was very professional and patient. I would recommend them for your home repair needs.

Original review: March 24, 2019

You pay an annual premium, and that covers most of your house. When something breaks, you call them and they send a technician over. Their main goal is to fix it, not replace it, keeping costs down for you. And the deductible is nothing at $45. They come through every time. Great business.

Original review: March 24, 2019

The best home warranty company on the market. Amazing reps hastily solve your claims. My A/C stopped working (giving out hot air on all settings) so they had a technician sent over which replaced the freon inside and it started working again! Gotta love it. It all cost me $45!

Original review: March 24, 2019

Eli has great customer service and provided my wife and I the best plan for our properties. Eli is also our Specialist to ensure all of our needs are handled correctly. We look forward to working with Eli and Total Home Protection!!

Total Home Protection expert review by Michele Lerner

Total Home Protection (THP) provides warranty plans for homeowners, real estate agents and home sellers. THP offers two plans as well as additional coverage so homeowners can choose the protection they need.

• No limit on age, make or model: The appliances covered by THP warranties are eligible for repair or replacement, no matter their age, make or model.

• Free month: Consumers can try one of Total Home Protection’s single payment home warranty plans for a month, for free, to see how they can benefit from it.

• Claims hours: Total Home Protection has 24/7 claims service, so customers can file a claim as soon as a system or appliance malfunctions.

• Service providers: THP’s Servicing Guidelines are available on the website, and they include proof of licensing, insurance minimums and the expectation that each contractor will make a service appointment no more than four hours after receiving a work order.

• Work guarantee: THP has a 90 day guarantee on parts and 30 day guarantee on labor for work performed by their contractors. If a problem occurs within the guaranteed period, the company will send another provider to repair it without charging a second service fee.

• Best for: homeowners, homebuyers and realtors.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Total Home Protection Company Information