toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I filed a claim with Total Home Protection when I had problems with my six-year-old washing machine. They were very helpful and they sent me a confirmation within 5 minutes, giving me the contractor name. Then the nice contractor called me promptly. We thought the machine was out of balance. Apparently, there was a problem with the pipe, but he wasn’t able to fix it so, I called them back and they told me I didn’t have to pay anything for him to come back for the same problem. My washing machine is yet to be fixed. Still, I’ve recommended them to two other people already.

When I was travelling from New York to Florida, I went to visit my daughter and I got a call from Total Home Protection. They were explaining to me what kind of service they provide. At the time I was trying to getting them off the phone because I was driving. I told him I was driving and that I'd call him back if I could. He asked how long before I get where I'm going so I told him about four hours. Diligently, he called back again.The persistence got me to thinking that I needed some protection and it felt right. When he called back again, I decided that I was going to get it. He was a good salesman.

My daughter goes to school in New York. She lost her mom so I spend a lot of time up there comforting and helping her out. So, I'm not always home. My cousins, who are at the house, told me that the washing machine stops when it gets to cycle and beeps. So they shut the machine off and waited until I got home. When I got home after two weeks, I tried it on and it has completed the cycle. So about two weeks later, I went to go do laundry again and the same thing happened again. So I called Total Home Protection and on that day, I opened the garage and the garage made a popping sound and the door stopped rolling. At first, the information didn't get to the vendors that they sent me as fast as the email got to me. They weren't aware who I was and what I wanted. But I called Total Home Protection back and figured it out.

When I called the first time, the individual was helpful. When I called the second time, I assumed that the information should have been put into the computer and then I wouldn't have to go through the explanation process. But I had to and I did it. Then the third time I called back, I had to explain again. And that was a little bit annoying because I thought that after calling the first, second and third time I shouldn't have to explain again. I assumed somebody put it in the computer, because on calling after that I had no problems of them realizing or knowing who I was.

But when the techs finally came, they were excellent and very professional. They did their jobs very adequately and called back to check and make sure that I was satisfied. My interaction with the vendors were a lot smoother than that with Total Home. But I'm glad I chose them because if I hadn't the cost would have been a lot more expensive for me. It was a good investment and I was glad that their sales rep called me the day that he called me.

I put in two claims with Total Home Protection. We heard back right away from someone for the plumbing claim. It was easy and I even got an email saying, “Here’s the company that’s coming out.” However, I wouldn't use again the contractor that Total sent out. They were late on their window. It caused an issue because my wife works from home so she expected them during this time and the guy showed up late and she was on a conference call. Also, he left a mess in the bathroom. For the second claim, our washer-dryer was constantly tilting. Mmaybe it was not covered from what I explained, but no one came back and said if it's covered or not.

I would still recommend Total Home Protection to a friend. I’m assuming the one issue that I had isn’t gonna occur again and overall the cost was good. It’s $45 compared to my previous home warranty. I paid $530 and each time I would have someone come out, it was $75. I only got 15 months on it. So I wasn’t planning on using it and wouldn't renew it. My dad bought a house and told me that he's using Total Home Protection and they gave him some free months. So we switched and we got some extra months too.

Total Home Protection's fees were a lot cheaper so I chose them. Submitting a claim over the phone went fine. The technician that came out to my house was great and the work she did went well.

Resolution In Progress

Total Home Protection

Thank you contacting us with the above referenced complaint. We at Total Home Protection treat each complaint with the utmost respect and use this feedback to better serve our valued customers. Understandably, there are two sides to every story and always look for a fair resolution between all parties.
Please note that Customer Service is open from 9am-7pm EST. For general policy questions, or questions regarding an existing claim, please call during normal business hours as stated in the policy. To place a new claim, our hotline is open 24/7.

We at Total Home Protection have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. If you have any questions, please contact us at 1-800-545-0402.

Original review: March 9, 2017

I request service with Total Home Protection after paying my fee upfront for the year. Call to get service and got the runaround. Call between 9 and 6. Ask about my claim and was told to call back tomorrow. Now I'm waiting 3 days no service. What a waste.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

I had a claim a few weeks ago for a plumbing issue and it went really good. The Total Home Protection rep I talked on the phone and the technician who came were both very good. These are old toilets so I'm going to have to replace them anyway, but the tech got it fixed.

Our furnace went out in the middle of a weekend cold day. Total Home Protection told us to contact someone and whoever they set up was too far away. He wouldn't come out. He said, "That's too far away. I have to charge you more money." I called THP back. Then it happened that I had to call after hours and their staff isn't as informative after hours. They couldn't help me locate somebody else. I had to wait to the next morning to talk to someone. They said, "We'll call somebody you know closer." They authorized that, which was fine. We were in two days without heat, but we managed. We have a gas fireplace by our couch and we slept on the couch. To make the long story short, the gentleman that normally does our furnace was able to come. We were authorized to call him, but he did have other people ahead of us. He did come but we had to wait for him.

I had a good experience with Total Home Protection. I submitted a claim over the phone for the dishwasher and the dryer at the end of January. The customer service rep and technician that I dealt with were both good.

I'm in the middle of making two claims for the garage door and dishwasher. Everything goes smoothly and the customer service rep is good, but I have been waiting for a technician for a few weeks now. I'm supposed to call Total Home Protection today to figure out what's going on.

Resolution In Progress

I called them on January 30th concerning my dishwasher. I was given a service number and a phone number to call the technician. I called and the guy told me he would call me back. We went thru this for a month and now here we are in March and my dishwasher still isn't fix. Wish I had known about this before I purchased this crappy service. Going to cancel it for both my house and never ever deal with this company again. They claim that they called me but yet I don't have the call. Buyer beware.

My experience when I submitted a claim to Total Home Protection was wonderful. The company has absolutely great customer service representatives. I called at nine o'clock and by three o'clock, the technician, who was very professional and on time, was walking out of my house with my problem fixed. It was very quick. I recommend Total Home Protection to friends.

We had a claim for our rental townhouse in Virginia. The renter said the light bulb above the sink had made a pop. And just came out of the socket and fell down in the sink. I called Total Home Protection and they contacted somebody to go check it out. But I didn't hear anything, so I called the renter and she said the electrician said that it was just a faulty bulb. I also submitted a claim for our house when one of the furnaces went out. They sent somebody out and fixed it.

Total Home Protection's price was great, but what I didn't realize was that they don't cover everything I thought. The rep really made it seem like it was a great product, but he didn't tell me things that it didn't cover, which was a lot. For instance, I had a claim for the refrigerator and they wouldn't fix anything with the freezer unless I pay for the freezer optional coverage. When you do that, you're going to have to at least obligate yourself through a whole year of paying $40 which comes up to $507. There were some things I found out the hard way. So the policy wasn't cheap.

Total Home Protection gave me a plumber who never came out. When I called him, his equipment didn't work. I called Total Home Protection back and asked for another plumber, but they tried to send the same one out. I kept leaving him voicemail, but he never returned my call. The customer service supervisor wasn't much of a help. I also spoke to the manager of dispatch and she was totally nasty. So I spoke with her boss and I was told to just hire somebody to do it myself and I did that. They said if the bill was over $100, I need to call and get approval. It's $132 and I figured after the $45, it'd be less than $100 but they wanted approval. They told me to send them the bill, and I'm in the process of doing now, and I hope they pay it. I wouldn't recommend them to anybody.

A plug stopped working, so I called Total Home Protection and told them what the problem was. It was very brief and the representative submitted the claim for me. They sent an electrician out. He called and set up an appointment and had it repaired in a reasonable amount of time. It works fine now. Also, I've had to call them a few times, but each time they were very pleasant to talk to and very helpful. They got the job done with no issues. I have recommended them to several people.

I had a leak from the bathroom which came down to my ceiling. I called all the plumbers first because I had no idea that my Total Home Protection would take care of it. Then when I decided to call THP, they weren't able to come out the same night that I needed them and I had to get a plumber myself who fixed it but he won't do my wall. He didn't fix my ceiling but he knew somebody else who could fix it. I said I was going to hold off on that because I still got my insurance people to see what's going on.

So I still had a leak and it was coming from the tub as well. When I talked to my insurance and told them what's going on, they said that was fine because they can fix it. They sent a company out to look at it and they gave a quote and they went at it. Then, they said that since I got a plumber already, I have to send them the copy of my receipt and they'd reimburse me for that and it was fine because they did exactly what they said they were gonna do. But the people they sent out to fix the ceiling weren't gonna do it because they wanted to fix it for $600 and they didn't think that the hole that I had was worth $600. A week passed, I told the company that they sent that they need to call my insurance because my insurance said they're gonna have to do it.

By the time they got back to my insurance, the insurance said they weren't gonna do it. The insurance was gonna cover for a certain amount and I will have to come up, out of my pocket, with $200. I said I'm not paying $200 for that to get fixed when the insurance people said that they were gonna do it. Then, the insurance guy asked me to send him a picture of the hole in my ceiling and I did. Then they straight came up and said that they're not going to do it at all because I pulled down the sheetrock off my wall. I said that the sheetrock was hanging off the wall and it fell down on its own and that if he were to ask me to send him pictures from different angles, I could have done that. Better yet, he should have sent somebody out here to look on their own.

Then, he said sorry and that there's nothing that they can do. But it was his own decision. How is he gonna make a decision off of something he didn't see? He should have sent somebody out here that knows what they're looking at. I waited and they got somebody else to fix it but I was so disappointed with them. I really don't want to use them again but I was thinking of the other stuff that I have to do, so I gave them another chance later on when I need something else done. But that was not a good experience. Something kept leaking from the ceiling down to the floor and it's supposed to be an emergency so I felt that they didn't do what they had to.

Then, I had my washing machine fixed. They were talking about a switch and this is going for maybe three weeks now. Nobody has ever come back and nobody has called me about when the switch came in or not for them to put back on my washer. They just fixed it temporarily and got it running but I'm trying to figure out if the switch ever come in or not. But they paid for that and that was fine. They got my appliance working. I just think everything important to me is not important to them. It's not bad but I think I was more disappointed because they had me waiting for a long time to commit that they were gonna do something and they resolved not to do it after I was told it was gonna be done.

I liked Total Home Protection's wording on what they covered and how quickly they responded, so I decided to go with them. I filed a claim over the phone when my AC went out. The unit went out on a Saturday, and I called the following Monday and I didn't hear anything from them on Tuesday. So, I called them and I was told at that point that my request was still in the kiosk, so they could find someone. Later on, someone from Total Home called me and said they found someone and he will be contacting me soon. It was late in the afternoon on that same day when the person called me and we set up some arrangements and he came out. It was a very positive and smooth experience. Since the repair, I have not had used the AC a lot but it's working perfectly. I turned it on for a while and I'm not having any problems so far. My overall experience with Total Home has been very positive. They're prompt and right on point.

Factual basis uncertain

My account was closed by Dane ** & Kim without consent so repairs to my dishwasher wouldn't be repaired. I originally called in to have my dishwasher repaired and the repairs were immediately denied after the technician came to my home. After a few days of calls between the technician and the warranty company we agreed to have it repaired. I then called and spoke with Dane because I was concerned that I was going to continue to have problems with the warranty company and asked if I could request to cancel my account on February 1. He said, "Sure that wouldn't be a problem" and I would still have the repairs done.

Over the weekend I decided I didn't want my account canceled and called in to make sure it wouldn't be. I was then informed that my account was canceled and my repairs wouldn't be covered. I requested to speak with a manager and got Kim who advised me that she and Dane canceled the account because I asked for a future date of cancellation. She then began to yell and say I could contact a lawyer and waste my money for a $35 warranty. I have never dealt with a company that is this horrible to customers. Per the contract all cancellation requests are to be made in writing.

Total Home Protection's pricing and the salesman convinced me that the five-year program would be the way to go and it has been going great. They were very economical and prompt in their service work. My compressor started acting a bit and when I called Total Home Protection, they said I couldn't file a claim until it completely went out, so I waited. It took two weeks before it completely went out and the next day, I called in and filed the claim, and they were very friendly and knowledgeable. They got a serviceman out the next day to look at the compressor. He went over all the different stuff, and what could be the problem, and then he diagnosed it, I was happy with the conclusion, and they eventually replaced the compressor. I would recommend them to anybody that's interested in a home protection service.

Factual basis uncertain

Called for claim on garbage disposal (since my plan covers plumbing). They send a plumber who immediately replaces the garbage disposal and puts it in the trash can (no test no examination). The next day, warranty company says the garbage disposal was leaking and it was rusty and the damage started more than 11 days ago, therefore, they would not cover it (Neither the plumber nor anyone else looked closely at the garbage disposal). Just like that. An incoherent, irrelevant, crazy reason to just get away from covering the disposal.

Moreover, a short story, the plumber takes a look at a leaking toilet. After three visits and no success at fixing it, he says there is a crack on it and needs to be replaced. Guess what? Warranty doesn't cover it either. I called them and they are very well trained in apologizing and telling you they will call you because they need to talk to their manager. No calls. Nothing. A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. STAY AWAY AND PAY A BIT MORE FOR A LITTLE RESPECT.

I was with another warranty company that was less than reputable and I was looking for a replacement. I saw something online about Total Home Protection and looked into them. I got an estimated bid from them on a monthly basis and took it from there. I'm new with them and hopefully, I don't need them too often. However, I've had to have service done on my heater twice since I've been with them. If there was a complaint to be had, it'd be that there was a lack of communication between Total and myself or the consumer. I shouldn't have to keep calling Total to find out who's gonna come out.

The last claim was just this month. I woke up on a Saturday morning and my house was 50 degrees. It was 27 degrees outside and my heater at home was cycling but it wasn't staying on. When I got up, I called Total and requested an emergency repair. I talked with Jennifer who was very helpful. She said she would file an emergency repair order. But by Monday, I had not gotten any information or I did not have anybody coming out. I called again and talked to Keith. He said the work has been assigned to a contractor. They gave me the contractor's phone number and I called them. They said they did not have a work order from Total and that they would call Total and get back with me. The contractor didn't get the work order until Tuesday and came late that evening but they had to come back Wednesday because they didn't have a part on their truck to fix it. But so far, everything is working the way it's supposed to.

I had been disappointed with the company that I had before Total Home Protection. I was having more and more problems getting support. I finally decided I am going to find out what else was available out there and found Total Home Protection on the internet. So far, I've had no difficulties with them. In fact, I even had one service company go and sign up with them to get on their list to provide services. I have a refrigerator-freezer combination, side-by-side and the control on the front of the door had stopped working. I submitted my claim over the phone and didn't have any difficulty with it whatsoever. A contractor was sent within the day.

In December I had a piece of piping that had to be fixed on my supply system for my swimming pool. I had a very good service and quick turnaround with it. The people that they sent out were very understanding and competent. I explained what the issue was and what had happened in the past. And in this particular situation, there had been previous work on the system where I needed the repair. They listened to what I was saying, and got the correction made and I've had no difficulty with it since then. I had total satisfaction.

My wife and I felt like we're getting older and we should try to work it in our budget in case something bad happens. That's why I bought this servicing for heating and cooling systems 'cause they are very expensive to replace. They are the fifth company I've been with in the last 18 months and at this point I have nothing but good things to say.

There was a little bit wrong though in my most recent claim with Total Home Protection but it was not that much upsetting. What happened was my cook stove went out and so they sent a man out here. A service call was $45. He reported back to Total Home Protection and they agreed that it would better to buy a new one. They allowed me $200 and it's gonna cost about $350 to do it. So, they didn't play what they advertised they do. They did pay some but they didn't pay it all. It has been about two weeks before I received the check. Also, setting up somebody to come here seems to be a long period of time. It took a week for the technician to arrive after the company contacted him.

I have no problem with them at this time and I'll continue to do with them as long as everything seems to be fine. And I'm hoping that I don't have to call them. I'd rather pay so much on monthly service and not have to go through all of this. I just did it as a backup for the cost. They are not perfect but they're a lot better than the ones I've had.

I recommend THP to any of my friends who need protection. Submitting my recent claim to them was easy and they called me back on time too. They informed the company within 24 hours but the company didn't get in touch with me 'till after a week. So I had to call the company yesterday and they came this morning. But the guy that came in said he doesn't do microwave, so he did the stove. He was very professional and explained things to me.

I used to have this other warranty that didn't do much. They promised me a lot of stuff and didn't do it so I was hesitant on getting another home warranty but it turns out, Total Homeshield Home Protection is a lot better than what I've dealt with. However, I still had one issue. I had one repair with Total Homeshield where I paid the guy to do the work on one of them but he had to order a part. I wasn't at home when he came back out. When I made it home, I saw his note and called him, but he was already on the freeway and he said that he had to charge me again to come back, so I had to deal with that because I got to have it. We argued a little but he came back to fix it and everything works now. At least they came out.

Factual basis uncertain

First of all, someone sold them my email. Secondly, the email troll they sent says click if you want to unsubscribe and it takes you to their website. There is no place to unsubscribe! First clue this is a scam. So, I just thought I'd look at the reviews, all of the 4 & 5 star reviews have purchased the service but have not had a claim to actually use the service. Read the ones who purchased the service and then tried to get the company to pay for what they are supposed to cover. Yuck, scam, scam, scam. Run, run, run.

Our refrigerator wasn't getting cool so we submitted a claim to Total Homeshield. It was a bit difficult in the beginning. We had to call 3-4 times and they didn't get back to us till two weeks later. Nevertheless, the technician was perfect. He came in, fixed it within an hour or so and left. It's been fine ever since. Things worked out well.

I noticed that the central heating unit would come on and then would go right back off. It wasn't adjusting the temperature to a suitable level in the house so I called Total Homeshield and then I was contacted by a local vendor to come out and check to see what the problem was with the unit. The contractor explained what was going on and advised me what the next steps would be in order to get the repair done on the claim. They also advised me that as soon as the part came in they would schedule a follow up visit and they did that. They walked me through the process even after they came back to do the repair and they stayed until they were sure that everything met my satisfaction. Overall, I was very impressed with the service and I feel that the service that I paid for was what I received.

On 12/08/2016 I called Total Homeshield and placed a claim for my air condition. The Claim Rep told me that I can check the status of my claim online and see what technician has been assigned to it. The next day 12/09/2016 I went on their website and that service was not available. Then I called them and I was told that the online claim status is not working. The Rep gave me the company name (Sunline Appliances) and the name of the technician (Robert phone **) that the claim was assigned to. I called him and he gave me an appointment for Saturday December 10, 2016 at 5:30 pm. He did not show up and he did not call.

I called him at 8 pm and he stated he could not come because it was raining. He gave me another appointment for Sunday 12/10/2016 and he said he will call me at 11 am. Again, he did not show up and he did not call and waited for Monday 12/11/16 to see if he would call, he still did not call me. Today Tuesday 12/13/2016 I called Total Homeshield customer service department and I spoke with Jennifer. I explained to her the situation and she called the Technician. The Tech admit that he did not show up to the appointment. The claim will be assigned to a new technician.

My neighbors knocked on my door the day before and told me that the pump had been on all day long and it was screaming loud. When I went out it was still running and it was really, really loud. I just bought the house though so that was the first idea of any problem. I called it in to Total Homeshield and the original guy came out and took a look at everything and estimated what needed to be done. The second guy came out and did the repairs but we had them come back because we had to do some filters to which I ended up paying out of pocket for. They told me the filter weren't covered.

The guy that came out to do the repairs was really nice. He showed me how to take care of all the equipment properly and how to clean everything and to make sure it was being cared for the way it was supposed to be. He gave me a run down since I hadn't been there very long. It was nice. The only thing I was disappointed at was the replacement part was refurbished and I thought it was going to be new. They said that their company requires it to be refurbished. I'm concerned because they're saying that it could burn out a lot quicker, so it may have to be replaced again in a year versus five to seven years. But Total Homeshield goes out of their way. They were responsible and they came out right away.

Total Home Protection Company Profile