Call toll free
3.33/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Total Home Protection strives to be the best in the home warranty industry. We have products and services that provide fast and efficient solutions. Total Home Protection promises to go above and beyond to help you get back on your feet. THP offers two plans for you to choose from that work with your budget. Regardless of age, make or model, we will cover repair or replace your covered items. Our technicians are licensed, pre-screened and insured to take care of your replacement or repair. Visit our website today for a free quote!

BOTTOM LINE

Total Home Protection offers competitive home warranty services. The plans are not available in every state, but they offer solid coverage plans to their served areas.

PROS

• Ability to add additional systems and appliances
  • Quality coverage

CONS

• Not available nationwide

Top Total Home Protection Reviews

02/18/2019

I haven't been a customer for long but the amount of time and energy I've saved so far has been unmatched. Total Home Protection makes the repair process as easy as it should be my oven has been fixed to perfection for the cost of just a $45 deductible. I'm very impressed.

03/13/2019

I submitted a claim with them online for my stainless steel dishwasher and they were very nice and they got it within 10 hours. Then the guy called me back, made the appointment and they came the next day. It's now back to normal and doing great.

Total Home Protection plans

Total Home Protection offers two plan variations for home warranty coverage. Both provide coverage for a mix of systems and appliances.

• Gold: Covers 15 items, including systems like plumbing and appliances like dishwashers.
  • Platinum: Covers 20 major home systems and appliances. In addition to the 15 items covered by the Gold plan, the Platinum plan covers more key appliances like refrigerators and systems like heat and AC.
  • Optional coverage: Additional items are available to add on to either plan, including items like pools and spas, water softeners and septic systems or additional appliances and systems like a second refrigerator or A/C unit.

Total Home Protection cost

Total Home Protection advertises plans as low as $1 per day. Because prices may vary by your location, home size and selected plan, the best way to get an accurate cost is to request a quote from Total Home Protection. Luckily, they make this easy with a simple online form.

Total Home Protection coverage

Between their two plans and add-on coverage, a Total Home Protection home warranty provides coverage for most major systems and household appliances.

The Gold plan covers the following systems and appliances:
  • Built-in microwave
  • Plumbing system
  • Trash compactor
  • Whirlpool bath
  • Water heater
The Platinum plan covers the following systems and appliances:
  • Air conditioning system
  • Refrigerator
  • Trash compactor
  • Whirlpool bath
  • Water heater
You can also add on optional coverage to your plan at a per-item fee for the following:
  • Additional A/C system
  • Water softener/li>
  • Well pump

888 Total Home Protection Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: July 4, 2019

Total Home was presented in a list with 10 other warranty companies to take a look at. I kinda looked them all over with the reviews and compared the benefits to the other, but Total Home was pretty much on par with just about everything, covering the majors on any kind of home protection. So, they came in at a reasonable deal, where I was satisfied with the agreement from what I could understand. And then, going on the reviews, I saw that they had worked claims before, and there were a few where people were not so happy. But by and large, I felt like everybody was satisfied where they needed to be.

Recently, I filed a claim because I noticed that the refrigerator was on the blitz. and they just came out and fixed it for the $75 agreement. I got it repaired within about three days because that part had to be ordered for the refrigerator. It was a good experience when I filed the claim. By and large, they got on it. They assured me that somebody would be out there and assigned to it, and I told them how the process worked. Everything was fine. They were pretty prompt and they called me in plenty of time for me to be ready for the person coming on the day that they said they were coming once got they got the part. The contractors were really good too. That guy was a young-ish guy. He came in. He was very nice and he got in here and he did it within 30 minutes. He explained what he was doing and he went ahead and just hooked everything up and it's fine after that. It's been good. I've had no issues with the refrigerator since that time.

I was really well pleased with the service that I got for the price. This is the first time I've ever owned. So, going into it, having the repairs and everything, but knowing that I had a pretty solid protection on my electrical, my plumbing, my appliances, those things that I really felt that I was covered on that. Especially, going forward, that also includes my heat and my air conditioning and making all the way up to 100 feet to the sewer line in the front of the house. And the electrical panel too. All those were really important to me being a homeowner, even though I had an inspection that came back clean. Who knows what awaits you. So, I was glad to have that and I do thoroughly intend on keeping it next year.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 3, 2019

When I called Total Home Protection, their representative was awesome. He was not high-pressure. Sometimes, he gave me some options, some specials, and a lot of information. He wasn’t telling me, “Commit right now or else this is gonna go away.” I like that. I don’t like to be pressured to buy anything because I’m one of those people who can’t make up their mind immediately. I think it through and I wait. So, I contacted my husband and he said, “Nah, we have homeowners insurance. We’re fine." He said no. He had some questions, so I called back and reviewed the information with the representative. He answered all my questions. Again, he was very professional and he did tell that at a certain time, he was not gonna be answering the line.

We’re the type of family that once something goes out, we replace it. Some things are gonna last for a certain amount of time. But we’ve been lucky and we haven’t had anything major go wrong with anything we’ve owned. We were affected by Hurricane Isaac a while back. We’ve gotten new appliances and we’ve replaced things. Our home is not that old, so when our dryer had an issue, I thought it was just something minor. And it was. It was fixable. That was my first claim. We’ve been with them close to 2 years and I’ve got a second claim now.

We live in Laplace which is halfway between New Orleans and Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The contractor came from New Orleans. It was a little bit of a drive for him to come here. When I got the email, I contacted him. He didn’t reply immediately. He’s a busy guy, and it’s a small, local company so I gave him a little time. But I did hear from him by text that he would call me later. He was on a job. We did communicate and he was fantastic. He came by. Unfortunately, we had to go on vacation, so that kinda delayed our repair because we weren’t home. I did inform him that we were gonna be out-of-town because he ordered the part and said, “When the part comes in, call me, and I’ll come and install it.”

I had my child who doesn’t live here come by and check on the house and make sure everything was fine. When the part came, she said, “Mom, the part came. You can let your repairman know that it’s here so when you get back in town, you and him can make arrangements.” And that’s how it happened. He was awesome. He responded to my concern immediately. I’m very satisfied with the promptness and efficiency of the contractor that Total Home Protection sent. And I do highly recommend having this type of service because homeowners insurance doesn’t cover everything all the time. Total Home Protection is a good backup protection for our home.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I have four properties with Total Home Protection and whenever I have a claim, I just call them. They told me that I could call them any time and that they were available 24/7. So far, I've had three claims that had been done with. One of them involved the refrigerator and it had been fixed. So, that was good. In another property, we had a problem with the air conditioner. The tech came and took a picture, then he showed the company what happened and what needed to be done.

Then he said the motor needed to be replaced but Total Home denied the claim. They said they would not cover it because the unit was in improperly. I had to get a second opinion and when the tech came out, he charged $350. But Total Home denied it again and kept saying the unit was in improperly. Then they said they'd cover my claim for just 200 instead of 350. I was so shocked. They also said that the second opinion was covered but I'd have to wait for 30 days. So, most the time, Total Home would say that the work is not covered but I don’t have that list of what's covered and what's not covered.

The third claim I had was about the water leaking in the toilet. It was all over the floor from the kitchen to the bathroom. I called in on a Friday morning and they said I'd get a response within 24 to 48 hours from the contractor. So even though I filed a claim on a weekday or a weekend, I'd still have to wait that long. The tech they assigned to me was 5 Star Construction and Total Home sent me his name, number, and email. I texted and called him but he didn’t respond.

So, I emailed him in the morning and he emailed me back around 3 o’clock. He said he could come over at that time but my tenant was not available until 8 o’clock in evening. So, I sent them each other's phone numbers and they scheduled the repair. So, at least the tech responded on the same day, Monday. And he said he could come by the end of the day at 5 o’clock, so that was good. Recently, we had an issue with the washing machine and dryer in my property in Georgia, Lawrenceville but Total Home hasn't fixed it yet.

All in all, my experiences with Total Home have been pretty good. But a lot of things surprised me. For instance, they don't respond right away and I have to wait for a long time to get a response from the contractor. I also have to contact them again. If I don’t call and I don’t do anything, my service request doesn’t get a response.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I was looking for someone to handle my home projects or when something breaks down. I went online and started looking. I originally had American Home Shield and they were such a disappointment that I fired them. So I got to looking and called Total. I talked to one of their agents and what he had to say seemed pretty good., so I went ahead and signed up for it.

I had my garage door opener quit on me. I called them and they sent a technician to replace it. He told them the truth and the guy was very nice, very knowledgeable, and he was completely honest. However, it was alarming that while I was waiting for the Total Home Protect rep to decide what they were gonna do, there was so much hesitation on the other end of the line. It made me a little skeptical. I said, what am I signing up for here? They ended up replacing it but only because the installer said this thing was totally dead. Heaven forbid something else happens in a short span. But everything seems to be working fine.

However, I still don't know how everything works with them. I don’t have a policy from them. I don’t know what’s covered and what’s not covered, whether they just pay a percentage and then we pay the rest of an appliance or air conditioning. I couldn’t even remember who it was and then I had to go through bank records to find out who was taking the money every month. Then I finally found out then I called and verified. That was disappointing and I still don’t have the questions answered.

But the gentleman that came out fixed the garage door in a very timely manner and he’s also a plumber on the side. It wasn’t two weeks ago, I had him come out and fix a leak. I paid him directly, so it was a good thing he came out because that type of thing isn’t covered. He was more than fair, very good with what he did, and I would like to think that whoever Total Protect all send out in the future should there be an issue is as good as this guy was.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you for selecting Total Home Protection for all your home warranty needs. We know your time is valuable so we take feedback very seriously. Your feedback allows us to improve our business and promote the level of service expected from a trusted industry leader. Total Home Protection strives to be a top rated home warranty provider. We have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. We sincerely thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service during normal business hours at 1-800-545-0402.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

The home warranty that I had was ripping me off. They wanted me to pay $60 and $100 for every home visit. It didn’t matter if the techs fix the problem or not, they still were trying to charge me $100. So, I called around like every home warranty that came up. When I came to Total Home Warranty, it seemed they were better for me to benefit from because the price list is no more than 50 bucks a month. Also, when they make a home visit, it’s $45, and I pay after they fix my issue. In addition, if they have to order parts, you don’t pay them. When they order the part, they have to send it to the insurance, which is the home warranty. Our home warranty then approves it and then they call me when they get the part in.

Recently, my dryer stopped working. I had it for about four years and it never gave any issues. It’s just that I had noticed that my clothes weren’t getting dry and I didn’t know what the issue was. Once I called Total Home Warranty, they said that they will come out to fix it. It wasn't a long wait. When I submitted a claim, I gave my address, name. Sometimes, they may ask for my email address and phone number that's associated with the account. They would also ask a couple of questions like has the appliance been repaired or was there ever any issues with it.

The contractor they sent out was very resourceful. He let me know that they will call when they get the part. Any questions I had, he was answering them. In fact, I was asking him what's the first thing that goes or what's the main thing that people have issues with. He was giving me what they experienced. It wasn't like he was a nonchalant tech that came out. He got straight to the problem, but he was educating me as well.

As he was taking my dryer apart, he found out what the problem was. He put it semi back together so he didn’t have to take it all the way apart. They got the part in early and they wanted to come in early and fix it, but I wasn’t home. Still, I was very satisfied with my experience with Total Home Warranty. Since the repair, the dryer has been working better. I’m getting my money’s worth because some home warranties have a limited call. Total Home has unlimited calls. If a neighbor would ask about them, I would seriously recommend them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

Original review: July 18, 2019

When I called your company this morning, I was helped by Ava **. I found her to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable about your product. She helped me with selecting the right plan for us. I was very pleased with the outcome.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I have a new house. I didn’t know anything about it, so I wanted to make sure I have everything covered. I googled home protection companies and got Total Home Protection. When I moved into the house, the air conditioner worked for a month or two, and then it randomly went out one day. It took a while to find the proper phone number to call Total Home Protection, but after that, everything worked smoothly. It was easy interacting with the claims representative. I feel that the professionalism and courteousness were all up to par as they should be. They told me to expect the contractors out within the next two or three days. It was a holiday weekend, so it was a little longer than it should have been. Overall, when I had a problem, Total Home Protection fixed it, and everything works now.

Original review: July 14, 2019

My air conditioner broke on Friday and I filed a claim with Total Home Protection on Saturday morning when I realized there was no air and the room temperature was 84 degrees. The answering service said they will assign someone to the claim on Monday or Tuesday. Then I have to wait for them to put me on their schedule. The answering service does not give out the name of the air conditioning repair company, so I cannot call them myself. The next four days the temperatures will be over 90 degrees. We are feeling sick and face the dilemma - do we wait for the Total Home Protection or pay for the service ourselves? We have nowhere else to go with two dogs.

You have a 28% chance your appliance/air conditioner/water heater etc. will break during the weekend. Are you willing to wait 4-5 days until the Total Home Protection provides help or your pipes are frozen, your basement is flooded or like me, have to suffer near heat exhaustion - or buy a different home warranty that works on the weekends also? Or at least have someone to talk to during the weekend? You may end up wasting your money for Total Home Protection and still have to pay for the service yourself.

Original review: July 14, 2019

Someone told me about Total Home Protection and I called them. They had a special going and I went with them. My most recent claim was a refrigerator in the garage, and it was a really easy fix. The freezer part was working and the fan that blows down where the other food was wasn’t. When I called, the guy came out pretty fast. In less than 5 minutes, he was like, “Oh, I know what that is. It’s the fan. The fan stopped working.” You could open it and hear that it wasn’t working. He said, “Okay, let me put an easy fix.” I paid him the copay, and he said he has ordered the part and he’d be out.

A week went by and I called him. He said, “Well, we gotta get approval and after approval, it’s gonna be a little while to get the part.” 10 days went by and I called him up. He said they were waiting for the part. It’s one of those parts that you can go down to the store and pick it up. Amazon has them so I was wondering what the the problem was. I figured that the guy probably had a bigger job that he’d make more money on so he just put mine on the back burner or someone did. I just got fed up and I called back. I said, “You know, if this is what’s gonna be happening, I want my money back. You can keep the year.” They never came back out so I had to turn around and talk with one of the representatives. He said that they had authorized the guy to fix it, so it wasn’t really their fault that they were taking their sweet time fixing it. They made the agreement that they would send me the money, but I haven’t gotten it yet.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Ray was great selling the insurance, it's after that sucks. They don't return calls, need to learn how to talk to customer. We have a air conditioning system down, we call and put were they will call us back. They don't call.

Original review: July 12, 2019

My dishwasher broke, a technician came to check, and told me it might be too expensive and unworthy to repair. It is a less than 4 years old Whirlpool dishwasher. When I contacted Total Home Protection to discuss the issue, a case manager told me they decided not try to repair it, but instead they would offer me a $100 “market replacement cost” to close this claim!

What about the salesman’s promise of “if we cannot repair it, we will replace it with a compatible new appliance”? Where do you on the earth to replace a dishwasher with the $100? Installation of a dishwasher alone costs more than $100! Plus, I still had to pay the $45 deductible for the technician’s visit. When I aired the frustration to the case manager, she told me there was no other option, they were not going to replace the dishwasher. $100, take it or leave it. It is such a sad business practice. I would NOT recommend this business. Go with other home warranty companies that does offer protection in case you need it. One of my neighbor had the same issue, and got a new dishwasher from her home warranty company.

Original review: July 11, 2019

3 claims, 2 delayed claim payments and 1 denied claim. My first claim was for my dryer not functioning properly. They denied the claim, but offered a small cash payment. This payment wasn’t sent and I had to call and they said they were switching banks and it resulted in an error. A ceiling fan replacement payment was delayed and I still haven’t received it. Over 2 months ago. The worse case is my AC broke down 6 weeks ago. It was serviced 2 weeks prior to weeks prior to breakdown. The HVAC tech said it was a bad contactor and the claim was denied. I replaced the contactor and the compressor was the issue. Claim denied again. I challenged since I knew it was maintained and they offered $300, which I didn’t accept. Then they offered me $500. The rep said, "I can’t give you more than what you put into the warranty."

I challenged again and they offered me $1000, but I had to sign a letter releasing them of any obligations, not use social or file a claim with consumer advocacy groups. Is this even legal? I wasn’t accepting a $1000 on $3000 claim. Each tech that came out warned us that this warranty company never replaces although they advertise as repair or replace. I found each claim to have extensive appeals, slow responses, delayed payments and denials.

Original review: July 11, 2019

The dryer stopped working. It wouldn’t work and it wouldn’t dry anything. I called Total Home and filed a claim. It took a while for the technician to come here but when he came, he told us that he knew exactly what was wrong, but he didn’t have the part. So, he had called, but I didn’t get his message. So, that’s probably why I didn’t know he called me. When he finally got in touch with me, he told me he’d been trying to call me, and he couldn’t get an answer. And then, he came out and he did a good job. It didn’t take him long at all.

Original review: July 9, 2019

I'm thinking last Nov. I decided to purchase a home warranty, went online & decided to go with this Co. Worst decision I could have ever made, first I paid the cost up front, to save a few bucks, the cost (1080.00) was for 2 & half years which you could cancel at any time & receive a refund. We had a leaking kitchen faucet. Called the # they gave me. Because it was the weekend we waited 7 days - unbelievable right? That's not the best. They sent 2 plumbers. 1 couldn't speak English well enough, so the other had to translate to English. O.K. This is where it gets real good. They’re looking at the pull-out sprayer to remedy the problem.

Now I'm not a plumber by no means but even I know the leak is NOT at sprayer end. They call their boss. He says just go to the Home Depot & replace the faucet. In the meantime the boss calls to tell me the Ins. plan will not cover the leaking faucet, it has to BROKE. I very politely told them to take a hike. Oh, did I mention they want the $45.00 copay before they turn a wrench! Later in the day after I calmed down I purchased the stem to correct the problem $12.96. Next, I called & cancelled the contract? All kinds of, “We’re sorry. We can make it up.” NO WAY BUD.

Original review: July 9, 2019

The toilet was leaking at the bottom and I didn't notice it. It was hard to detect because I don't use that bathroom. It looked like it was water that was spilled from the shower, but the guy told me that it was coming from the toilet sewer. We called and Total Home Protection said they we gonna get somebody out but they didn't for a while. I called and the first person was pretty professional. She just kinda dealt with everything. She said I would receive an email within 28 to 48 hours and that never happened. I called again and I spoke to another young lady. She said, "Well, it hasn't been 48 hours." The lady was really nasty with me. The third person who came on was wondering why there was no claims thing entered. She couldn't find the number. She said, "Hold on, let me talk to my supervisor," and she got everything taken care of. Everything she said happened just like she said it was gonna happen.

The contractor was cool. He came out, looked at it, and assessed it. Then I told him another problem that I had been having with the toilet. It wouldn't flush all the way down. He said, "Well, I gotta get this approved, so let me call to see if I can get it approved." He went out for about 15 minutes or so, then he came back. He said, "I did get it approved, however, I don't have the part for the second request because I didn't know about that piece. So, I gotta go get the part." He went, got the part, came back, and put all the stuff in. He put the bolts in 'cause he said it was sliding and he put some more caulk on the thing. He also put a new thing to where it flushes and the thing doesn't get stuck when you press the handle down. All that has been fixed. The only thing is I don't know if it's a backlash of that, but my pipes are shaking a little bit. I've been debating whether to call or not 'cause it's in another room so I'm not sure if the two are related or not.

Original review: July 8, 2019

I was delighted to speak to a friendly salesman, Stanley **. He helped me save hundreds of dollars with more coverage than my warranty I have that soon I will be cancelling. Highly recommend calling Stanley ** and let him know Carol ** sent you. Thanks so much Stanley for the excellent service and trying to get the best savings for me and giving me a secure feeling that if something goes wrong it will be taken care of.

Original review: July 8, 2019

My AC had went out where it wasn’t working properly, so I had called Total Home Protection one day, and they said somebody was gonna call me back to give me some more information about it. They called me back the next day and they said someone’s gonna get in contact with me. But no one ever got in contact with me. The man was three days late. He just showed up at my house and said, “I come to fix the AC.” They had called my phone when the man was at my house. They never called and told me that somebody was gonna come out before that day.

Other than that, the service was good. They really were quicker than I thought they’d be. And I didn't have problems with people coming out. They identified themselves, they told me they were from the company and what company they work for, and the reason why they were here. And they had told me everything I told the people. They told me, “We’ve come to check the AC ‘cause you say it’s not blowing correctly.” So far, so good. I haven't had any problems with the AC since the repair. It’s still blowing. I recommended two people to Total Home already. My experience was good. It was outstanding service. Everybody was respectful, even though they didn't call me to tell me that they were gonna send someone out in a certain day.

Original review: July 5, 2019

Have been with this provider Total Home Protection (THP) for 1 year. We are paying 35$ monthly bill, we are paying $45 for each visit, however none of the problem gets resolved. Every time they come up with a clause against the claim saying this or that part is not covered. Mechanical not covered in some cases, in some other case electrical is not covered. Or maintenance is not done properly. Hence they will not pay.

Off late technicians visiting us against claims have started complaining against Total Home Protection for malpractice and now I'm figuring out that they are true. My AC system Thermostats are not working, the technician came once to check and went back. He then came in for the second time to check the attic and said some of the electrical circuits are malfunctioning as a reason the thermostat is not on and not cooling.

The technician then submitted his report and I found this morning the case has been re-assigned to another appliances team. I am guessing the original report from the earlier technician was not of liking to THP so now they are changing team so that they don't have to pay anything (not own up their responsibility) and can say that it's due homeowners x,y, z fault. This pattern is now absolutely common in the claims I am submitting. The person who came to fix the garage door, said he had no clue why it was not covered. I have complained a few times calling customer service but their attitude is absolutely pathetic. They just don't care as they got the money upfront. Horrible horrible way of running business. Not sure how many customer they are duping this way. I am getting off from them and will strongly caution against using them.

Original review: July 5, 2019

My, experience with your rep. Tracey was straightforward and he was very professional and very experienced at his job. Very knowledgeable which led me to buy this service in a very timely matter and I felt very comfortable and have great home protection.

Original review: July 3, 2019

Donald was very knowlegeable of the product and he strived to help Marshall and I to get the best coverage and cost for our situation, thank you. We have a feeling of total relief having sufficient coverage in case of need.

Original review: July 3, 2019

Devinee ** called me yesterday. She explained the warranty with Total Home Protection. I asked her if she would call me back today. She called several times - persistent. Devinee returned her call today to me. She is a TOP Customer Service Agent. Her dedication to your company is a reflection of a great company.. She helped me by offering a lower monthly payment plan. I signed up with Total Home Protection because of Devinee and her knowledge of the covered plan. She was thorough and thoughtful. Excellent employee and dedication. New Policy #**.

Sincerely,

Victoria & Will

Original review: July 3, 2019

My air conditioner went out and I call to get a tech out, was told it would take up to 48 hours. Called back and was told there was no HVAC company in my area, that I could use anyone. Called to see how long it would take to get authorization for service and was told it would be immediate. Got a tech out, got quote and tech called for approval. Approval was not given. We are under a heat advisory in my area. I have small babies in my home and me and my son suffer from breathing conditions. We are getting sicker while waiting on approval. Not happy with company at all.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I called Total Home Protection to submit a claim when I had a clogged drain. The claims representative asked me a couple of silly questions, but our interaction was all right. The contractor said he was gonna be here on a Monday, and so I hang around and he never showed up. He ended up showing the next day. When he came, everything was great with him. He augered the drain out and cleaned it out and he adjusted the stopper. It's been doing fine since then. My experience was good, and I'd tell a neighbor that Total Home Protection is a good company.

Original review: July 1, 2019

Sadly to report bought policy for 2019 with Total Home Protection, First, call 6/25th for Air conditioner not working. Have an 84 yr old husband with a bad heart. Never received an email for a company to come to the house. They told me very busy and to wait for an email or call someone on my own and pay out of pocket and they will reverse the monies. It was Friday 6/28th 9:00 pm when we got service, because of a compassionate co. who fixed our problem last year through the Old Republic. She squeezed us in (Air Care of Cent Fl.) at 407-4797197. THEY resolved the problem.

Today is Monday, July 1st and Total Home still has not sent me an email with the claim number in since 25th. Customer service could not give me any Supervisor or manager to speak to referencing my case. My husband almost ended up hospitalized, as a result. They couldn't find someone and NEVER called us back saying anything or getting us service!! They took my monies of $485.00 and sold me a sales talk and when needed no service. As a senior citizen, we were taken advantage of and when service needed didn't come through. Sincerely, Donna **/Winter Springs, Florida

Original review: June 27, 2019

Reached out to the customer service to have them have someone come out and see what has caused our AC to suddenly stop. The woman was rude and very unprofessional. Informed her we have an elderly person in the home and need someone ASAP. Her response, "We are not an emergency service. You have to wait 24-48 hours." No consideration for our elderly family member. I wish I could go into her home and turn off her AC in 90 degree weather. Horrible customer service. When this contract ends we will not be using them EVER again.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 24, 2019

Hot water heater was not working. Repair contractor fixed problem after several days "looking for parts" and missed several promised appointments. After a week without hot water, the repair was made, and 2 days later the same problem happened. Called the contractor approved by Total Home Protection on 5 separate occasions, and each time he did not come when promised. He claims that he tried to come, but no one was home to tell the gate that he could come in. My mother, the homeowner is 102 years old and does not go out. Neither she, nor her aide claims to have gotten a call from the gate.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you contacting us with the above referenced review. We at Total Home Protection treat each review with the utmost respect and use this feedback to better serve our valued customers. Understandably there are two sides to every story and always look for a fair resolution between all parties.

The consumer placed a claim for the water heater on 6/11/2019 stating there was no hot water coming from it. The vendor reported the failure was the upper and lower thermostats have shorted out and needed to be replaced. The claim was approved and the vendor was given authorization to complete the repair.

On 6/24/2019, the consumer called and stated the issue was happening again. We placed a recall to the same vendor to come back out and reassess the problem at hand. Due to scheduling conflicts between the consumer and vendor, the consumer decided to secure a vendor using the reimbursement process. The consumer’s vendor reported the failure was the water heater was rotted out and leaking from the tank itself. Per our policy, this failure is excluded from coverage. Please see the referenced section of the policy below:

V. COVERAGE

G. Water Heater

COVERED: All components and parts for gas and/or electric hot water heaters, including circulating pumps, except:

NOT COVERED: Auxiliary and secondary holding/storage tanks; main, holding or storage tanks; expansion tanks; base pans; drain pans and drain lines; line restrictions; pressure reducing valve; sediment build-up; mineral and/or calcium build-up; rust and corrosion; combustion shutdown; color or purity of water; flues; vent pipes/lines; insulation and insulation blankets; heat recovery units; tankless hot water heaters; low boy and/or squat water heaters; solar water heaters including all solar components and parts; any noise without a related mechanical failure; racks; straps; timers; energy management systems; commercial grade equipment and units exceeding 75 gallons. We will pay no more than $500 per contract term for access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement.

All claims have been properly serviced in accordance with the Service Agreement - all contracts have inclusions as well as exclusions. We are committed to providing a positive customer experience and doing the right thing for all our customers, contractors, employees, and our company.

In an effort to provide good customer service, we offered to send $200.00 towards the non-covered claim as a gesture of good faith which the consumer accepted.

We at Total Home Protection have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. If you have any further questions, please contact us at 1-800-545-0402.

Sincerely,
Cherish Payne
Toll Free: (800) 545-0402

www.totalhomeprotection.com

Original review: June 23, 2019

The representative was very knowledgeable and helpful. He did an outstanding job. We went over every items in detail and if I had any questions about any particular item he explained it to me. I end up taking the platinum plan over a period of six years. Will it give me more flexibility and peace of mind. I’m going to do some research about my well water with the water company to see if I have a well pump at a later time. I didn’t know about the offer for the roof until the representative explained it to me.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: June 22, 2019

I was told by Robert ** I would get policy info right away on line. I haven't gotten anything yet. The way this usually works is I give you money you give me product, service etc. I need contact numbers for service or something please.

Total Home Protection response

Please be advised we have sent another copy of the policy to the email address on file, as well as mailed out a paper copy to the coverage address. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service during normal business hours at 1-800-545-0402.

Original review: June 22, 2019

I filed a claim with Total Home Protection because my oven won’t turn on. The broil will go on, but the oven won’t. Filing a claim with them over the phone was very easy and very nice. The rep I spoke with was okay. They were fine and were quick. Whatever they claim to do, they immediately did. So, they were pleasant and very nice. And the person who came to fix it was just fantastic. He was professional. He exactly knew what to do and what was wrong with it. He ordered it, and as soon as he came back, people called, and it was great. The oven is working fine now.

Total Home Protection response

Original review: June 21, 2019

Mr. ** answered all of my questions and offered a plan best for me. My sister (Mrs. Ron **) Carroll ** referred me to Total Protection. Her address is Birchwood, TN. I hope you can give her an additional month service.

Total Home Protection’s coverage exclusions

In the Total Home Protection contract they provide a full list of coverage exclusions. Pre-existing conditions are not covered, which is standard to most home warranty contracts. Additionally, there may be parts or components of covered items that are excluded from coverage. For example, while Air Conditioning Systems are covered under the Platinum plan, replacement filters for those systems are not provided as part of that coverage. With appliances, you’ll often see items like knobs, dials, shelving and any removable accessories excluded from coverage as well.

In the event that a claim is denied due to a coverage exclusion, you have a right to get a second opinion from another service provider.

Total Home Protection’s coverage limits

Total Home Protection places coverage limits on certain items. This is the maximum dollar amount they will pay out per contract term for specific items. If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds this amount, you would be responsible for covering the remainder of the cost yourself.

Total Home Protection’s per contract term cap is $1,500 for “access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement” of all covered items. In addition, they have set coverage limits per item in certain areas.

ItemTotal Home Protection coverage limit
Refrigerant$10 per pound
Lawn sprinkler systems, refrigerator ice maker, septic tank pumping$200 per term
Ceiling and exhaust fans$400 per term
Ductwork, electrical system, limited roof leak, plumbing system and stoppages, pools and spas, septic system, sump pump, water heater, water softener, whirlpool bathtubs$500 per term

If a plumbing claim requires a service provider to break through walls or ceilings to make the repair, Total Home Protect will also cover up to $500 per claim to get the wall or ceiling back to a rough finish by hanging or patching drywall.

How to request service from Total Home Protection

You can file a claim 24/7 online or by calling the Total Home Protection claims department toll-free.

1. Submit your claim to Total Home Protection.
  2. Total Home Protection assigns one of their approved service providers to your case within two business days (four on weekends and holidays).
  3. The service provider will contact you to schedule your appointment.
  4. You will pay your trade service call fee (this will be specified in your contract, typically $60).

Total Home Protection guarantees labor for 30 days and parts for 90 days. Should a failure occur due to the labor provided on your repair within 30 days, Total Home Protection will send another technician out to fix the problem at no additional cost to you.

Total Home Protection FAQ

What states does Total Home Protection cover?
Total Home Protection covers 39 states. At this time, coverage is not available in California, Iowa, Maine, Massachusettes, Nevada, New York, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington or Wyoming.
Is there a limit on the number of claims?
There is no limit on the number of claims you can make during your contract term. However, there may be dollar limits and caps on covered items per contract term.
How do I cancel Total Home Protection?
If you cancel within 30 days of ordering, you will receive a full refund. Cancellation after 30 days will receive a pro-rated refund for the remainder of the contract and a $50 cancellation fee.
What happens if a covered item cannot be repaired?
If an item cannot be repaired, a replacement will be provided. If the cost of a replacement exceeds your coverage limit cap, Total Home Protection may provide a cash payout instead.

Is Total Home Protection worth it?

Total Home Protection provides plenty of coverage for homeowners. With monthly costs in line with the industry average and a below-average service call fee, we think Total Home Protection is worth it for homeowners looking for extra protection for their appliances and systems. A warranty can pay for itself with one repair.

Total Home Protection Company Information