2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties

Call Now Toll Free
Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.54/5

Total Home Protection offers two home warranty plans for customers to choose from. Coverage is available for major systems and appliances regardless of age, make or model. Technicians are prescreened for licensing and insurance to take care of major replacements and repairs.

BOTTOM LINE

Total Home Protection offers competitive home warranty services. Between its two plans and add-ons, THP can provide coverage for most major systems and household appliances. However, availability and costs vary by location.

PROS
  • Free online quote
  • Add-on coverage options
  • Large network of technicians
CONS
  • Not available in all states
  • Some complaints about support

Top Total Home Protection Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

… The price was right. It was a good deal… there's an online process to use. I like online stuff. It’s easy for me to do. I sent in the claim when I had a lone circuit breaker in my fuse panel and I liked the electrical company that came out so much. It was a great service.

The agent was very helpful in describing the plan. What the plan covered and the term and cost. He gave the information on a five year plan and a three year plan. All the plans sounded good…

Total Home Protection Call Now Toll Free (704) 253-8240 Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

Total Home Protection plans

Depending on the warranty plan you select, Total Home Protection coverage can include a mix of systems and appliances. The Gold plan covers 15 items, including systems like plumbing and appliances like dishwashers. Platinum coverage includes 20 major home systems and appliances. Additional coverages are available, including for pools and spas, water softeners and septic systems.

Gold plan

Total Home Protection’s Gold plan provides coverage for basic systems and appliances:

• Plumbing system
  • Ductwork
  • Garage door opener
  • Ceiling and exhaust fans
Platinum plan

The Platinum plan covers everything in the Gold plan, plus your air conditioning system, clothes washer and dryer, heating system and refrigerator.

• Air conditioning system
  • Ductwork
  • Garage door opener
  • Ceiling and exhaust fans
Optional coverage

Extra coverages are also available for those who want further protection.

• Pools and spas
  • Additional heating system
  • Additional water heater
  • Additional garage door opener

Total Home Protection costs

Plans generally start between $40 and $50 per month. Because prices may vary by your location, home size and selected plan, the best way to get an accurate cost estimate is to request a quote from Total Home Protection.

Total Home Protection coverage exclusions

Preexisting conditions are not covered, which is standard on most home warranty contracts. Additionally, there may be parts or components of covered items that are excluded from coverage.

For example, while air conditioning systems are covered under the Platinum plan, replacement filters for those systems are not provided, according to a sample service agreement. With appliances, you often see items like knobs, dials, shelving and any removable accessories excluded from coverage.

A home warranty contract with THP may also include dollar amount caps, or coverage limits,  so it’s important to read the agreement carefully.

Total Home Protection coverage limits

Total Home Protection places coverage limits on certain items (see below). If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds this amount, you would be responsible for covering the remainder of the costs yourself.

Total Home Protection’s per contract term cap is $1,500 for “access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement” of all covered items. In addition, it has coverage limits per item in certain areas. This is the maximum dollar amount the company will pay out per contract term for specific items.

If a claim requires a service provider to break through walls or ceilings to make the repair, Total Home Protect will also cover up to $500 per claim to get the wall or ceiling back to a rough finish by hanging or patching drywall.

ItemTHP coverage limit*
Plumbing and electrical$500
Water heater$500
Whirlpool bathtub, spa/pool$500
Ceiling/exhaust fan$400
Septic tank pumping$200
Refrigerator ice maker$200

*For access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement (per contract term)

Total Home Protection FAQ

Does Total Home Protection have a waiting period?
Yes, coverage kicks in 30 days after enrollment. In certain circumstances, Total Home Protection may waive the waiting period.
Where is Total Home Protection available?
THP offers service contracts in all states except for California and Nevada.
How do I request service from Total Home Protection?
You can file a claim 24/7 online or by calling the Total Home Protection claims department toll-free.
  1. Submit your claim to Total Home Protection.
  2. Total Home Protection assigns one of its approved local contractors to your case within two business days (four days on weekends and holidays).
  3. The service provider will contact you to schedule your appointment.
  4. You will pay your trade service call fee (specified in your contract, typically $60 to $75).

Total Home Protection guarantees labor for 30 days and parts for 90 days. Should a failure occur due to the labor provided on your repair within 30 days, Total Home Protection will send a technician to fix the problem at no additional cost to you.

Can I cancel Total Home Protection?
Yes. If you cancel within 30 days of ordering, you will receive a full refund. If you cancel after 30 days, you will receive a prorated refund for the remainder of the contract, minus a $50 administrative fee for each unused term.
Is there a limit on the number of claims?
There is no limit on the number of claims you can make during your contract term. However, there may be dollar caps on covered items per contract term.
What happens if a covered item cannot be repaired?
If Total Home Protection cannot repair a covered item, it will provide a replacement under your contract’s terms. The company may offer a cash payout instead.

Is Total Home Protection legit?

Total Home Protection is a legitimate home warranty company. It offers plenty of coverage options for homebuyers and sellers. Monthly costs are in line with the industry average, and it has a below-average service call fee, which is why we think the company is worth considering. It could be an especially good choice for those who like the idea of managing their account and claims online.

Total Home Protection Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

I have a home in Indiana and I have a company I use there. Unfortunately, I can't use the same company here because I don't own the home, so that was a letdown. I was on the internet looking. There's a lot of companies that are around, but in most aspects, they want you to be the homeowner and you can't always be the homeowner. This house is in somebody else's name and I'm renting, but it's mine. It's in my friend's name because she had the cash money to put down for it and we're buying it from her on monthly payments. Still, I need to be able to cover the house because I'm the one that's here. If something breaks, I have to cover the expense and not everybody allow you to do that, but Total Home did.

I went with Total Home. You don't have to be the homeowner with them, and I liked that. I liked the prices too. However, it'd be nice if they could get a few more people that were either online (to be able to chat with somebody that's gonna put in the claim) or on the phones (to have somebody answering calls so a claim could be put in). This is so you know somebody has the request and it's not just a machine. To me, communication is a big thing and they need to improve theirs a bit. I like talking to people when I'm doing business. If I'm on the computer and I'm not doing business, I'm playing a game. I chat with the folks I play with all the time.

I balance the ease of putting a claim and being able to talk to somebody against the company I use in Indiana that I've had for a couple years. I compared the two and Total Home Protection's claims process was a little frustrating for me to start with because it's a little different with the service I use in Indiana. There, you pick up the phone and you talk to somebody. With Total Home, I didn't. Because of the pandemic, most of the stuff is done online right at the moment, so I went ahead and went online and submitted a claim. It got handled right away and it was taken care of for me, so I can't complain at all. I got a plumber out here the next day. Got cleared up quick too. The service was good.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you for selecting Total Home Protection for all your home warranty needs. We know your time is valuable so we take feedback very seriously. Your feedback allows us to improve our business and promote the level of service expected from a trusted industry leader. Total Home Protection strives to be a top rated home warranty provider. We have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. We sincerely thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service during normal business hours at 1-800-545-0402.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

I got a phone call and the guy was running a special at the time. He cut down whatever I was paying to $40 and that was the reason why I chose to go with THP. The application was over the phone and it was easy. Also, submitting a claim is pretty simple. Sometimes, with the COVID going on, it makes it harder to get someone out and I understand that. That's a part of life at this time.

I had an issue with a contractor that was dispatched. He was very unprofessional. He told me what he charges an hour but I told him he was dispatched to address the issue. Once he comes out and tells Total Home Protection what's going on, they will make a decision if it's covered through them and if it's not covered, then he would contact me and tell me what my charge is. Otherwise, I will be writing him a check and he would get the remaining of his money from THP if everything is covered.

He never showed up so I called back THP and asked if they could please dispatch someone else and they did with no problems. The next guy took care of business. I asked him if he could please contact me prior to showing up because I wasn't home but I will make sure someone would be there and he did everything that was asked. Everything was handled with no problem.

Total Home Protection response

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

I called Total Home and they told me that there was somebody going to be in touch with me, so I waited. But I didn't hear anything for three days. So I called them back and the rep said, “Well, we don't show that you've ever put in a claim.” I told her that I put in a claim three days ago and that they told me that they would be in touch but no one's been in touch. She said she would have to put in a claim and then, within 20 minutes, a gentleman called me and said that he is out there in Palatka and that he’d go and look at the AC unit. He was a very nice man. He took care of it. There were some parts that had to be ordered. So he ordered them, got approval on them, and then he installed them and got them up and running.

Some other AC company called me and said that they wouldn't be able to get out there for a couple more days. But I told them somebody that was out there already. So I called Total Home back and said, “Hey, we've already gotten our unit fixed. Now there's people calling me, telling me that they can't get out to look at it for a couple days. Can you update your system?” The rep said, “We don't show that anybody's even been out there.” It was like their system wasn’t connecting with whatever. They have communication problems. But we got everything fixed and under our warranty and paid our deductible. It all worked out. It was just weird.

Total Home Protection response

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

The claims submission process with Total Home Protection is relatively fine. The issue that I've had more recently was I added a second policy to my personal home versus my rental, and the first technician I dealt with was not knowledgeable at all and he caused more issues. Total Home Protection denied my claim because they said that the technician said something that was false. The subsequent technician looked it over and saw that the other technician was incompetent. Unfortunately, due to COVID, the new technician, who I'm actually pretty impressed with, can't get the parts that I need to fix my unit. He's waiting for the parts to come in because it was delayed.

It's nice that the deductibles are pretty cheap. My monthly stuff is pretty cheap. I don't like the sales when they try to sell it to people. They say, "Oh, well, yeah, we'll make it cheaper if you pay for like three years in advance." It's like, "Well, I don't know if you're gonna be here three years." So, I pay a monthly. With my initial one, I paid for like 18 months. I pay monthly for both of mine.

As far as the contractors, it's a mixed bag. Some of them are really really good and know what they're doing, and some of them are really bad. The problem is that you're not believed. The only reason I was believed in this situation that I had was because the contractor was so rude to the technician. I have a double oven range. The top of my range is gas. The bottom of my range is electric. My bottom oven stopped working, but that's the larger oven. I was not able to cook a turkey in my house this year because my bottom oven was not functioning. I called the technician out. He came out a day or so after I called in. He was very unprofessional. I typically try not to judge a book by its cover because if you come here and fix my problem, I don't care. He came, looked at it and pushed some buttons and then said, "Yeah, it's the coil. That's what the issue is. I had to order the part."

I figured he should have some type of tools to figure out what the problem was. He left, ordered the part, came back a week or so later with the coil he said he needed, and he disassembled the coil that was in the machine, and then he hooked up this new coil. He tried it and he said it didn't work. He then disconnected the new coil that he had ordered through the warranty company, took it back, put it back, and left my old coil just laying there. He didn't reattach it. He just left the oven disassembled and said, "Yeah, it can't be fixed." He left, told the warranty people that he fixed the coil and then also told them that, now, other things in the stove are broken, and so, that was why the stove was not working. So therefore, they need to replace the stove. He couldn't fix it, and so he lied to them and said the stove needs to be replaced.

My stove is very expensive. Everything in my kitchen is expensive. It was a couple of thousand dollar stove. Their response is, "Oh, we're not trying to pay out a couple of grand. That would be a prorated value. So, we're gonna deny your claim 'cause we tried to fix it and that's that." I said, "No, he didn't even fix what he's telling you he fixed. If he fixed that, then I would have no problem, right? He's telling you other things are broken that aren't broken. There's no issue with those things." Their response to me was, "Well, he has 30 days to warranty his work. So, we have to give him another opportunity to come back."

My response was, "Okay. But he didn't do the work in the first place. So why would we give him an additional 30 days to make a determination about this thing working or not?" They said, "Well, this is what we have to do." I said, "Okay. Well, I don't have a stove for Thanksgiving because you're telling me you can't change the contractor at this point in time and that he has 30 days to warranty his work that he didn't do. Well, can you all call him? Because I've tried to call him, he won't come back." They took the time to call him and he cussed out the representative. The representative said, "Oh, I see what you're dealing with now. Okay, we'll send another technician."

They sent another technician. The guy came out and he was excellent. He was in a uniform and he had a truck and tools. He was professional and put together and he said, "Yeah, I ordered a part and it's just not here. I'm waiting on dozens of parts for dozens of customers because of the global pandemic, unfortunately." What I've learned is I need a computer board for my stove, and that's why it's not working. He did call the warranty company in front of me, which I don't think he was supposed to do, but he did. The warranty company said, "Yeah, we'll approve that." It was a $700 part. The guy knew his stuff. He did what he was supposed to do and went well beyond that. I was gonna cancel both my plans and get another service company, and then he made up for the first guy.

Total Home Protection response

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

I was quite disappointed when I found out that the claim was not covered. I was told that my kitchen faucet was loose. Water was dripping under the sink at a fast rate. When the contractor came out, they looked into it and said the faucet needed to be replaced. They came back and said Total Home Protection does not cover it. I was really disturbed that a water leak wasn't covered. That's normal wear and tear but I got it taken care of on my own. I had to get somebody outside of my insurance to come and change it for me. After talking to some people, I was told that that's normal for them not to replace a faucet. But the thing is that the people that came out still wanted a service fee. That's the part that I couldn't get behind - a service fee of $60 and they were there for less than a minute.

I wanted some explanation. I called that person that sent me an email regarding my claim but she never emailed me back or answered my voicemail. I made several calls and did speak to someone. They transferred me to somebody 'cause I was calling to cancel. The person on the other end asked me why did I wanna cancel and I told her. She offered me two very good things that I couldn't turn down and I was very pleased that she was more interested in keeping me as a client.

However, it did kinda make me hesitant to call in another claim. My garbage disposal is rattling when I turn it on. It feels like something is loose. I'm thinking is this wear or tear or do I need to file a claim. I don't want somebody else to come out then tell me it's not covered. Plus, I didn't wanna seem like I was making claims back-to-back even though the first one wasn't covered. But I don't mind paying the service fee. I'll do anything to get that rattling noise out of there. It'd be even better if they could replace the whole thing.

Total Home Protection response

Original review: April 30, 2021

I unfortunately lost hot water on a Sunday and called about it getting fixed. They said they couldn't send someone out for a day or two. On Monday the contractor called about coming out. He did come later that day and recommended replacing the water heater. I decided to upgrade my water heater at this time to a more energy efficient system. I only asked for coverage of $750 on a $1350 system because that's the cost of replacing my old system with a new one of the same size and quality. They refused to pay because my service was within the first 30 days of activation, however I paid for service on 1/31/2021 and with their 30 day hold that puts coverage at 03/03/2021. They said that they scrutinize any major claims for an additional 30 days after the first 30 days and that's why it was denied. So they take your money and don't cover items with major issues for the first 2 months.

I called to dispute this and they said the claim says that the system malfunctioned on the circuit board and there was rust on the drain pan. My system was in mint condition on the outside and sat 2 feet off the ground on a stand with a drain line that ran to the floor 2 feet below the bottom of the system. The only way rust could have formed was through the air or a leak in the system. The Resolution manager Tommy (refused even last initial) I.D. ** in the state of NJ said there was no leak reported. At this point the line disconnected and I received no callback.

I called back to further discuss this and Tommy claimed he was the highest authority I could talk to. He advised me to wait out the dispute claim to see the final resolution before I canceled my account which at the time would have been $245. Tommy did inform me regardless of what was requested the max they would pay for any system is $500. So they don't even fully cover replacing items in your house anyway.

Original review: April 29, 2021

It took over a week for them to process the claim after a repairman deemed the unit unfixable. Then they offered a replacement of $250 for a washing machine that cost $800. They claimed that under their policy they have the right to replace the product at their wholesale price. Not really sure where anyone can purchase a front loader washing machine anywhere close to that price. Can't even find a cheap one for less than $700 nowadays.

Original review: April 29, 2021

I like that Total Home Protection doesn't charge nearly as much as American Home Shield, and that they put good people on the job that's needed and the results have been very fair and very well-handled by the people that'd come out.

Original review: April 27, 2021

The reps from Total Home were very nice. I told them what was going on and that I was very unhappy with my current warranty company. Total Home said not to worry about it and that if their contractor didn't come through, they would step up and fix the stuff for me. I'm giving my current warranty company a chance to fix my HVAC system. But afterward, I'm gonna stay with Total Home Protection.

Original review: April 26, 2021

All is well. All the information was explain very well and the price was great and we have home protection we need for our home and we thank you for your time. Please send me the information book or flier please. At the address above.

Total Home Protection Company Information