2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties
ServicePlus Home Warranty

3.3/5 (431 ratings)
ServicePlus (Formerly Total Home Protection)

About ServicePlus (Formerly Total Home Protection)

ServicePlus Home Warranty offers two home warranty plans for customers to choose from. Coverage is available for major systems and appliances regardless of age, make or model. Technicians are prescreened for licensing and insurance to take care of major replacements and repairs.

Pros

• Free online quote
  • Add-on coverage options
  • Large network of technicians

Cons

• Not available in all states
  • Some complaints about support

Bottom Line

ServicePlus Home Warranty offers competitive home warranty services. Between its two plans and add-ons, THP can provide coverage for most major systems and household appliances. However, availability and costs vary by location.

Top ServicePlus Home Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… The price was right. It was a good deal… there's an online process to use. I like online stuff. It’s easy for me to do. I sent in the claim when I had a lone circuit breaker in ...

Verified

The agent was very helpful in describing the plan. What the plan covered and the term and cost. He gave the information on a five year plan and a three year plan. All the plans so...

ServicePlus Home Warranty plans

Depending on the warranty plan you select, ServicePlus Home Warranty coverage can include a mix of systems and appliances. The Gold plan covers 15 items, including systems like plumbing and appliances like dishwashers. Platinum coverage includes 20 major home systems and appliances. Additional coverages are available, including for pools and spas, water softeners and septic systems.

Gold plan

Total Home Protection’s Gold plan provides coverage for basic systems and appliances:

• Plumbing system
  • Ductwork
  • Garage door opener
  • Ceiling and exhaust fans
Platinum plan

The Platinum plan covers everything in the Gold plan, plus your air conditioning system, clothes washer and dryer, heating system and refrigerator.

• Air conditioning system
  • Ductwork
  • Garage door opener
  • Ceiling and exhaust fans
Optional coverage

Extra coverages are also available for those who want further protection.

• Pools and spas
  • Additional heating system
  • Additional water heater
  • Additional garage door opener

ServicePlus Home Warranty costs

Plans generally range from $53.67 per month to $60.33 per month. Because prices may vary by your location, home size and selected plan, the best way to get an accurate cost estimate is to request a quote from ServicePlus Home Warranty.

ServicePlus Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Preexisting conditions are not covered, which is standard on most home warranty contracts. Additionally, there may be parts or components of covered items that are excluded from coverage.

For example, while air conditioning systems are covered under the Platinum plan, replacement filters for those systems are not provided, according to a sample service agreement. With appliances, you often see items like knobs, dials, shelving and any removable accessories excluded from coverage.

A home warranty contract with THP may also include dollar amount caps, or coverage limits, so it’s important to read the agreement carefully.

ServicePlus Home Warranty coverage limits

ServicePlus Home Warranty places coverage limits on certain items (see below). If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds this amount, you would be responsible for covering the remainder of the costs yourself.

ServicePlus per contract term cap is $1,500 for “access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement” of all covered items. In addition, it has coverage limits per item in certain areas. This is the maximum dollar amount the company will pay out per contract term for specific items.

If a claim requires a service provider to break through walls or ceilings to make the repair, Total Home Protect will also cover up to $500 per claim to get the wall or ceiling back to a rough finish by hanging or patching drywall.

ItemServicePlus coverage limit*
Plumbing and electrical$500
Water heater$500
Whirlpool bathtub, spa/pool$500
Ceiling/exhaust fan$400
Septic tank pumping$200
Refrigerator ice maker$200

*For access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement (per contract term)

ServicePlus Home Warranty FAQ

Does ServicePlus have a waiting period?
Yes, coverage kicks in 30 days after enrollment. In certain circumstances, ServicePlus may waive the waiting period.
Where is ServicePlus available?
ServicePlus offers service contracts in all states except for California and Nevada.
How do I request service from ServicePlus?
You can file a claim 24/7 online or by calling the ServicePlus claims department toll-free.
  1. Submit your claim to ServicePlus.
  2. ServicePlus assigns one of its approved local contractors to your case within two business days (four days on weekends and holidays).
  3. The service provider will contact you to schedule your appointment.
  4. You will pay your trade service call fee (specified in your contract; $75 is standard).

ServicePlus guarantees labor for 30 days and parts for 90 days. Should a failure occur due to the labor provided on your repair within 30 days, ServicePlus will send a technician to fix the problem at no additional cost to you.

Can I cancel ServicePlus?
Yes. If you cancel within 30 days of ordering, you will receive a full refund. If you cancel after 30 days, you will receive a prorated refund for the remainder of the contract, minus a $50 administrative fee for each unused term.
Is there a limit on the number of claims?
There is no limit on the number of claims you can make during your contract term. However, there may be dollar caps on covered items per contract term.
What happens if a covered item cannot be repaired?
If Service Plus cannot repair a covered item, it will provide a replacement under your contract’s terms. The company may offer a cash payout instead.

Is ServicePlus Home Warranty legit?

ServicePlus Home Warranty is a legitimate home warranty company. It offers plenty of coverage options for homebuyers and sellers. Monthly costs are in line with the industry average, and it has a below-average service call fee, which is why we think the company is worth considering. It could be an especially good choice for those who like the idea of managing their account and claims online.

ServicePlus Home Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ServicePlus Home Warranty?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

I have a home in Indiana and I have a company I use there. Unfortunately, I can't use the same company here because I don't own the home, so that was a letdown. I was on the internet looking. There's a lot of companies that are around, but in most aspects, they want you to be the homeowner and you can't always be the homeowner. This house is in somebody else's name and I'm renting, but it's mine. It's in my friend's name because she had the cash money to put down for it and we're buying it from her on monthly payments. Still, I need to be able to cover the house because I'm the one that's here. If something breaks, I have to cover the expense and not everybody allow you to do that, but Total Home did.

I went with Total Home. You don't have to be the homeowner with them, and I liked that. I liked the prices too. However, it'd be nice if they could get a few more people that were either online (to be able to chat with somebody that's gonna put in the claim) or on the phones (to have somebody answering calls so a claim could be put in). This is so you know somebody has the request and it's not just a machine. To me, communication is a big thing and they need to improve theirs a bit. I like talking to people when I'm doing business. If I'm on the computer and I'm not doing business, I'm playing a game. I chat with the folks I play with all the time.

I balance the ease of putting a claim and being able to talk to somebody against the company I use in Indiana that I've had for a couple years. I compared the two and Total Home Protection's claims process was a little frustrating for me to start with because it's a little different with the service I use in Indiana. There, you pick up the phone and you talk to somebody. With Total Home, I didn't. Because of the pandemic, most of the stuff is done online right at the moment, so I went ahead and went online and submitted a claim. It got handled right away and it was taken care of for me, so I can't complain at all. I got a plumber out here the next day. Got cleared up quick too. The service was good.

ServicePlus Home Warranty response

Thank you for selecting Total Home Protection for all your home warranty needs. We know your time is valuable so we take feedback very seriously. Your feedback allows us to improve our business and promote the level of service expected from a trusted industry leader. Total Home Protection strives to be a top rated home warranty provider. We have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. We sincerely thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service during normal business hours at 1-800-545-0402.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

I got a phone call and the guy was running a special at the time. He cut down whatever I was paying to $40 and that was the reason why I chose to go with THP. The application was over the phone and it was easy. Also, submitting a claim is pretty simple. Sometimes, with the COVID going on, it makes it harder to get someone out and I understand that. That's a part of life at this time.

I had an issue with a contractor that was dispatched. He was very unprofessional. He told me what he charges an hour but I told him he was dispatched to address the issue. Once he comes out and tells Total Home Protection what's going on, they will make a decision if it's covered through them and if it's not covered, then he would contact me and tell me what my charge is. Otherwise, I will be writing him a check and he would get the remaining of his money from THP if everything is covered.

He never showed up so I called back THP and asked if they could please dispatch someone else and they did with no problems. The next guy took care of business. I asked him if he could please contact me prior to showing up because I wasn't home but I will make sure someone would be there and he did everything that was asked. Everything was handled with no problem.

ServicePlus Home Warranty response

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

I called Total Home and they told me that there was somebody going to be in touch with me, so I waited. But I didn't hear anything for three days. So I called them back and the rep said, “Well, we don't show that you've ever put in a claim.” I told her that I put in a claim three days ago and that they told me that they would be in touch but no one's been in touch. She said she would have to put in a claim and then, within 20 minutes, a gentleman called me and said that he is out there in Palatka and that he’d go and look at the AC unit. He was a very nice man. He took care of it. There were some parts that had to be ordered. So he ordered them, got approval on them, and then he installed them and got them up and running.

Some other AC company called me and said that they wouldn't be able to get out there for a couple more days. But I told them somebody that was out there already. So I called Total Home back and said, “Hey, we've already gotten our unit fixed. Now there's people calling me, telling me that they can't get out to look at it for a couple days. Can you update your system?” The rep said, “We don't show that anybody's even been out there.” It was like their system wasn’t connecting with whatever. They have communication problems. But we got everything fixed and under our warranty and paid our deductible. It all worked out. It was just weird.

ServicePlus Home Warranty response

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

The claims submission process with Total Home Protection is relatively fine. The issue that I've had more recently was I added a second policy to my personal home versus my rental, and the first technician I dealt with was not knowledgeable at all and he caused more issues. Total Home Protection denied my claim because they said that the technician said something that was false. The subsequent technician looked it over and saw that the other technician was incompetent. Unfortunately, due to COVID, the new technician, who I'm actually pretty impressed with, can't get the parts that I need to fix my unit. He's waiting for the parts to come in because it was delayed.

It's nice that the deductibles are pretty cheap. My monthly stuff is pretty cheap. I don't like the sales when they try to sell it to people. They say, "Oh, well, yeah, we'll make it cheaper if you pay for like three years in advance." It's like, "Well, I don't know if you're gonna be here three years." So, I pay a monthly. With my initial one, I paid for like 18 months. I pay monthly for both of mine.

As far as the contractors, it's a mixed bag. Some of them are really really good and know what they're doing, and some of them are really bad. The problem is that you're not believed. The only reason I was believed in this situation that I had was because the contractor was so rude to the technician. I have a double oven range. The top of my range is gas. The bottom of my range is electric. My bottom oven stopped working, but that's the larger oven. I was not able to cook a turkey in my house this year because my bottom oven was not functioning. I called the technician out. He came out a day or so after I called in. He was very unprofessional. I typically try not to judge a book by its cover because if you come here and fix my problem, I don't care. He came, looked at it and pushed some buttons and then said, "Yeah, it's the coil. That's what the issue is. I had to order the part."

I figured he should have some type of tools to figure out what the problem was. He left, ordered the part, came back a week or so later with the coil he said he needed, and he disassembled the coil that was in the machine, and then he hooked up this new coil. He tried it and he said it didn't work. He then disconnected the new coil that he had ordered through the warranty company, took it back, put it back, and left my old coil just laying there. He didn't reattach it. He just left the oven disassembled and said, "Yeah, it can't be fixed." He left, told the warranty people that he fixed the coil and then also told them that, now, other things in the stove are broken, and so, that was why the stove was not working. So therefore, they need to replace the stove. He couldn't fix it, and so he lied to them and said the stove needs to be replaced.

My stove is very expensive. Everything in my kitchen is expensive. It was a couple of thousand dollar stove. Their response is, "Oh, we're not trying to pay out a couple of grand. That would be a prorated value. So, we're gonna deny your claim 'cause we tried to fix it and that's that." I said, "No, he didn't even fix what he's telling you he fixed. If he fixed that, then I would have no problem, right? He's telling you other things are broken that aren't broken. There's no issue with those things." Their response to me was, "Well, he has 30 days to warranty his work. So, we have to give him another opportunity to come back."

My response was, "Okay. But he didn't do the work in the first place. So why would we give him an additional 30 days to make a determination about this thing working or not?" They said, "Well, this is what we have to do." I said, "Okay. Well, I don't have a stove for Thanksgiving because you're telling me you can't change the contractor at this point in time and that he has 30 days to warranty his work that he didn't do. Well, can you all call him? Because I've tried to call him, he won't come back." They took the time to call him and he cussed out the representative. The representative said, "Oh, I see what you're dealing with now. Okay, we'll send another technician."

They sent another technician. The guy came out and he was excellent. He was in a uniform and he had a truck and tools. He was professional and put together and he said, "Yeah, I ordered a part and it's just not here. I'm waiting on dozens of parts for dozens of customers because of the global pandemic, unfortunately." What I've learned is I need a computer board for my stove, and that's why it's not working. He did call the warranty company in front of me, which I don't think he was supposed to do, but he did. The warranty company said, "Yeah, we'll approve that." It was a $700 part. The guy knew his stuff. He did what he was supposed to do and went well beyond that. I was gonna cancel both my plans and get another service company, and then he made up for the first guy.

ServicePlus Home Warranty response

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

I was quite disappointed when I found out that the claim was not covered. I was told that my kitchen faucet was loose. Water was dripping under the sink at a fast rate. When the contractor came out, they looked into it and said the faucet needed to be replaced. They came back and said Total Home Protection does not cover it. I was really disturbed that a water leak wasn't covered. That's normal wear and tear but I got it taken care of on my own. I had to get somebody outside of my insurance to come and change it for me. After talking to some people, I was told that that's normal for them not to replace a faucet. But the thing is that the people that came out still wanted a service fee. That's the part that I couldn't get behind - a service fee of $60 and they were there for less than a minute.

I wanted some explanation. I called that person that sent me an email regarding my claim but she never emailed me back or answered my voicemail. I made several calls and did speak to someone. They transferred me to somebody 'cause I was calling to cancel. The person on the other end asked me why did I wanna cancel and I told her. She offered me two very good things that I couldn't turn down and I was very pleased that she was more interested in keeping me as a client.

However, it did kinda make me hesitant to call in another claim. My garbage disposal is rattling when I turn it on. It feels like something is loose. I'm thinking is this wear or tear or do I need to file a claim. I don't want somebody else to come out then tell me it's not covered. Plus, I didn't wanna seem like I was making claims back-to-back even though the first one wasn't covered. But I don't mind paying the service fee. I'll do anything to get that rattling noise out of there. It'd be even better if they could replace the whole thing.

ServicePlus Home Warranty response

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

My central A.C. went out at the beginning of a heatwave this year. They took a month of 120+ inside temps to finally say get your own person to fix and we’ll reimburse. This after I’ve had a heat stroke that caused a mini stroke. It’s now Oct, been promised the check in mail since June. And I am now living in assisted living because of their failure to provide timely service to begin with. But they keep telling me the check is scheduled to print with the next batch. But no one knows when that will be.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

My experience with Service Plus Home Warranty has been less than pleasant. When speaking with the sales rep I was assured that they would be able to service my location (a rural location 3 mile outside of Paris, Texas) without issue. My woes began when my garage door opener quit opening the second week of September. I called them up and started a claim. A week or so later I received an email giving me 2 options: A: Find my own technician and they would reimburse me up to $100 or B: They could continue to search for a company to take care of my problem. I opted for B...

A week or so later they offered the same solutions with an increase of the reimbursement amount to $150, I again opted for solution B... A week later they contacted me (via email) providing me with a number to call to schedule my appointment with a technician, only the owner of the company explained that he had no affiliation with Service Plus. I called Service Plus and after a lengthy hold period I spoke with a customer service representative who was unable to explain what happened and referred me to his supervisor. I explained to her the error and she adamantly insisted that no error had been made and that their system showed the company did indeed have an association with Service Plus. I explained that the owner of the company said he did not but would come out and give me an estimate of the repair cost.

The customer service supervisor then said she needed to reschedule the appointment and that if the aforementioned company came out that they would not be able to offer any compensation. She said it would be escalated and sent to dispatch in order to find a suitable company. I made the statement that it seemed unfair that I was having to wait because of a mistake made by Service Plus. It was at this time that she began insisting that Service Plus had made no errors or mistakes. The phone call ended with her insisting that if I wanted the issue resolved that it no way implied that they were in error.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

Updated on 10/07/2021: It’s been over 22 days since our FIRST claim (9/15) and more than 10 days since our LAST claim (9/27) and SPHW hasn’t even found a technician for EITHER OF OUR CLAIMS! Thank goodness we can still use our tub, albeit without using the jets. But our garbage disposal is leaking out the bottom of the unit and needed to be replaced. We haven’t been able to use our sink or dishwasher for over 10 DAYS which is ridiculous! Tired of waiting for SPHW to find us a technician, we called a couple of supply houses, found the same disposer, ordered it and it arrived today! I’m pretty sure a friend is coming over to install it for us next week.

SPHW gives you the option of finding your own installer but they have to be licensed for SPHW to reimburse customers. What kind of service business doesn’t have technicians available 24/7 to repair or replace customer claims? A few years ago, my husband (a retired electrician) would have installed the new unit himself but we are seniors and he has Parkinson’s so he’s physically unable to do most household repairs now. Our 1st claim made on 9/15 for a Whirlpool tub leaking only when jets turned on. Again SPHW was unable to find a technician to work on a jetted tub. To find leak we hired a someone to cut access in wall to locate problem. In accordance with SPHW contract pump would be cover but not jets and not any costs incurred to gain access to problem. So far SPHW has reimbursed us ‘0’ in claims, ‘0’ for any repairs and/or ‘0’ money for replacements of any claim items. These are the reasons we’re canceling our contract.

I have recently filed a dispute claim with our credit card company. Our credit card company has put a stop on all future payments to SPHW. Our credit card company is also REFUNDING ALL OF OUR PAYMENTS that we have made to SPHW since June (1st payment date). SPHW has been one BIG headache for us! As I stated in my previous SPHW complaint it’s next to impossible to get talk with anyone, waiting times are extremely long and if you’re lucky enough to reach a rep you will hear “unfortunately we don’t have any available technicians at this time”!

Original Review: Recently filed 2 claims since purchasing warranty in May. I have NOT BEEN CONTACTED BY A TECHNICIAN TO REPAIR OR REPLACE EITHER ITEM. I’m disappointed, frustrated & feel I have been ripped off. It was high pressure sales, the salesman (Jim **) changed cost of program several times during his pitch…from $32 per mo w/ 2 mos free, $37.50 for 12 mos (ACTUALLY PAYING $40 PER MO FROM START (5/6/21)) & was told service calls were $60 & just found out they’re $75!

Almost impossible to talk with a “live” person & always put on hold although was told would be able to contact them 24/7. Also told repair techs call customers within 24-48 hrs to set up appointment I have yet to be contacted for either claims (9/15 & 9/27). Last claim was for garbage disposal leaking from bottom of unit so we have been unable to use our kitchen sinks & dishwasher for more than a wk. We could have fixed ourselves the day we found water leaking under it but was told it has to be a licensed plumber and we’re still waiting for a call from one of their techs. Highly dissatisfied & want our money back. They have done absolutely nothing for us except waste our time (trying to talk w/ a rep/holding on phone) & take our money.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

Washing machine was diagnosed by your representative as needing a new control unit. He advised me it’s a 369 dollars part. Your company declined to repair or replace the washer. They offered me a 250 to basically go away while lying that the part was not available. Not true. Parts are available from Whirlpool and other dealers online as your own representative stated. I will not be satisfied nor will I go away or even think or recommending your company. I wish I never switched companies. I was with American Home Shield for years and have never had any issues with them. They even replaced a dishwasher while they said no parts were available.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Save your money. Over promised on website about how easy it is to get service. Been waiting 3 weeks for service on a microwave. No local techs and basically they wanted me to find my own tech with my own money and then get reimbursed. Sure I requested a cancellation and refund, then they buy one at Best Buy and the installer was a no show and no one has a clue what happened to the microwave.

ServicePlus Home Warranty Company Information