Call toll free
3.34/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Total Home Protection strives to be the best in the home warranty industry. We have products and services that provide fast and efficient solutions. Total Home Protection promises to go above and beyond to help you get back on your feet. THP offers two plans for you to choose from that work with your budget. Regardless of age, make or model, we will cover repair or replace your covered items. Our technicians are licensed, pre-screened and insured to take care of your replacement or repair. Visit our website today for a free quote!

BOTTOM LINE

Total Home Protection offers competitive home warranty services. The plans are not available in every state, but they offer solid coverage plans to their served areas.

PROS

• Ability to add additional systems and appliances
  • Quality coverage

CONS

• Not available nationwide

Top Total Home Protection Reviews

02/18/2019

I haven't been a customer for long but the amount of time and energy I've saved so far has been unmatched. Total Home Protection makes the repair process as easy as it should be my oven has been fixed to perfection for the cost of just a $45 deductible. I'm very impressed.

03/13/2019

I submitted a claim with them online for my stainless steel dishwasher and they were very nice and they got it within 10 hours. Then the guy called me back, made the appointment and they came the next day. It's now back to normal and doing great.

Total Home Protection plans

Total Home Protection offers two plan variations for home warranty coverage. Both provide coverage for a mix of systems and appliances.

• Gold: Covers 15 items, including systems like plumbing and appliances like dishwashers.
  • Platinum: Covers 20 major home systems and appliances. In addition to the 15 items covered by the Gold plan, the Platinum plan covers more key appliances like refrigerators and systems like heat and AC.
  • Optional coverage: Additional items are available to add on to either plan, including items like pools and spas, water softeners and septic systems or additional appliances and systems like a second refrigerator or A/C unit.

Total Home Protection cost

Total Home Protection advertises plans as low as $1 per day. Because prices may vary by your location, home size and selected plan, the best way to get an accurate cost is to request a quote from Total Home Protection. Luckily, they make this easy with a simple online form.

Total Home Protection coverage

Between their two plans and add-on coverage, a Total Home Protection home warranty provides coverage for most major systems and household appliances.

The Gold plan covers the following systems and appliances:
  • Built-in microwave
  • Plumbing system
  • Trash compactor
  • Whirlpool bath
  • Water heater
The Platinum plan covers the following systems and appliances:
  • Air conditioning system
  • Refrigerator
  • Trash compactor
  • Whirlpool bath
  • Water heater
You can also add on optional coverage to your plan at a per-item fee for the following:
  • Additional A/C system
  • Well pump

843 Total Home Protection Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: June 12, 2019

I was looking for someone to handle my home projects or when something breaks down. I went online and started looking. I originally had American Home Shield and they were such a disappointment that I fired them. So I got to looking and called Total. I talked to one of their agents and what he had to say seemed pretty good., so I went ahead and signed up for it.

I had my garage door opener quit on me. I called them and they sent a technician to replace it. He told them the truth and the guy was very nice, very knowledgeable, and he was completely honest. However, it was alarming that while I was waiting for the Total Home Protect rep to decide what they were gonna do, there was so much hesitation on the other end of the line. It made me a little skeptical. I said, what am I signing up for here? They ended up replacing it but only because the installer said this thing was totally dead. Heaven forbid something else happens in a short span. But everything seems to be working fine.

However, I still don't know how everything works with them. I don’t have a policy from them. I don’t know what’s covered and what’s not covered, whether they just pay a percentage and then we pay the rest of an appliance or air conditioning. I couldn’t even remember who it was and then I had to go through bank records to find out who was taking the money every month. Then I finally found out then I called and verified. That was disappointing and I still don’t have the questions answered.

But the gentleman that came out fixed the garage door in a very timely manner and he’s also a plumber on the side. It wasn’t two weeks ago, I had him come out and fix a leak. I paid him directly, so it was a good thing he came out because that type of thing isn’t covered. He was more than fair, very good with what he did, and I would like to think that whoever Total Protect all send out in the future should there be an issue is as good as this guy was.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 23, 2019

When I purchased my home, the home warranty was expiring. Total Home Protection reached out to me and I have their policy now. In a recent claim, I called them for the sensor on the garage door. The reps gave me the information that was very informative. They explained thoroughly that if it was a sensor, it is not covered. But if the part has failed, then it is covered. I was very well-informed so it was great. Then Total Home Protection sent a top-notch contractor. They responded quickly and didn't have to run after parts. They had them all on their truck. The serviceman who fixed everything went above and beyond. He even serviced my garage door, did a greasing of the springs, and checked all the bolts. It was very excellent.

Normally, I hit the button when I’m leaving and then I hit the button when I’ve already backed out in the garage and think that the garage door is going down and that I would not worry about it. I had to start waiting to make sure if the door went halfway down, if it is gonna go all the way, or is it gonna go back up. I lost the confidence that it would close. Each time I go home and open the garage, it wouldn't work. And when I get ready to leave, it wouldn't close. I was very frustrated. But they fixed it and my frustration level is zero now. I have had good experience with Total Home Protection so far. I got the three-year policy and I hope they continue their services as expected.

Total Home Protection response

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I had protection on my rental home the first year and they wanted me to renew with them. They went up an additional $250, so I didn’t use them at all. So, I researched and went online and started making calls and Total Home Protection had the same thing that the other company offered me in the beginning. So I decided to go with them.

I filed a claim with them when my renter said that the garbage disposal was inoperable. The contractor that went out told me that he is going to contact Total Home Protection because there was so much damage done to that garbage disposal that if you took it apart and rebuild it, it would be cheaper just to install a new one. He got verification from Total Home Protection to go ahead install a new one.

When he was done, he called me for the $65 service charge and to let me know that noticed that there was something wrong with the pipe and when he put the garbage disposal on and ran the water, it was leaking. The contractor could not fix the leak because he was not a plumber, so I called Total Home Protection and asked to send a plumber. They said they won’t charge me another $65 as it was for the same issue. They sent Madison Plumbing and the plumber never got back to me. I called Madison and according to them, the plumber didn’t see any leaking and that there’s nothing wrong with the pipe. I don’t like the fact that they didn’t get back with me, it’s not a very bad thing, but it would help them better if they did follow-up calls.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

The home warranty that I had was ripping me off. They wanted me to pay $60 and $100 for every home visit. It didn’t matter if the techs fix the problem or not, they still were trying to charge me $100. So, I called around like every home warranty that came up. When I came to Total Home Warranty, it seemed they were better for me to benefit from because the price list is no more than 50 bucks a month. Also, when they make a home visit, it’s $45, and I pay after they fix my issue. In addition, if they have to order parts, you don’t pay them. When they order the part, they have to send it to the insurance, which is the home warranty. Our home warranty then approves it and then they call me when they get the part in.

Recently, my dryer stopped working. I had it for about four years and it never gave any issues. It’s just that I had noticed that my clothes weren’t getting dry and I didn’t know what the issue was. Once I called Total Home Warranty, they said that they will come out to fix it. It wasn't a long wait. When I submitted a claim, I gave my address, name. Sometimes, they may ask for my email address and phone number that's associated with the account. They would also ask a couple of questions like has the appliance been repaired or was there ever any issues with it.

The contractor they sent out was very resourceful. He let me know that they will call when they get the part. Any questions I had, he was answering them. In fact, I was asking him what's the first thing that goes or what's the main thing that people have issues with. He was giving me what they experienced. It wasn't like he was a nonchalant tech that came out. He got straight to the problem, but he was educating me as well.

As he was taking my dryer apart, he found out what the problem was. He put it semi back together so he didn’t have to take it all the way apart. They got the part in early and they wanted to come in early and fix it, but I wasn’t home. Still, I was very satisfied with my experience with Total Home Warranty. Since the repair, the dryer has been working better. I’m getting my money’s worth because some home warranties have a limited call. Total Home has unlimited calls. If a neighbor would ask about them, I would seriously recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Our washing machine didn't work and I called Total Home Protection, but there was a delay. They said that somebody will be in touch with me in 72 hours. When I looked up the business, it was a town in Newport News and I looked up the business, it was very small. I called them and the old lady that answered was extremely nice. She said that they can't come out to our home for two and a half weeks, but she would put our name down. I said that I can't wait two and a half weeks, but it was a small business and they could only handle so many of those a day. I was on a line-up. The rep said that they called Total Home Protection and told them they cannot supply with all our needs and they can't handle the amount of work we were giving them. I called Total Home Protection back and I said, "Do not tell me that you only have one company, one company, that can do my house."

I really complained very hard because we bought a special five-year deal. It was a lot of money right off the bat and it was the first time that I have used them. Within about an hour, I got a phone call and the rep said they are not called very often unless Total Home Protection really needs somebody. The company came out and the tech was extremely professional and extremely nice. He didn't have the part and he had to order it, but he would have it in two days. And right when he got it, he called. The service was perfect, although I was extremely worried initially because I was not gonna wait two and a half weeks. Initially, the experience was not good, but it ended up good and I was happy in the long run.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

Original review: June 13, 2019

We were selling our house and the guy was testing the sensors on the side. He hit the button for the garage door to close but then he walked through just to test the sensors, the garage door went up and the sprocket flew off. The garage door is supposed to go up if anything’s in the way for the garage door going down. I called the number to make a claim and the rep was friendly. It was 24 hours that the contractor was supposed to call us to set up an appointment time. I got an email too saying who it was gonna be. I think it was the owner of the company who actually came to fix it. He was great, nice, and he explained everything. Overall, it’s been good so far. I've only had to submit one claim and Total Home Protection followed through from what they told me. We also chose them for our new home here in Missouri.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Chris ** was a great sales rep. I purchased the 3 year Platinum plan and referred my sister as well, who also purchased the same plan I did. I also referred my neighbor, not sure if she purchased or not. My only complaint is that I have not received my policy in my email yet. I spoke to another Rep this morning who was going to email me the policy, but I haven't received it yet.

Joanna

Original review: June 11, 2019

I had coverage with something that TXU, our utility company, had provided for the air-conditioning and heating systems. But I found out that Total Protection gives you protection for other things like appliances as well, so I wanted them. I’ve only had one claim for a dryer where the heating was out on, and it was handled satisfactorily. They were prompt to get someone here, and they looked at what had to be done. They called the company and approved the payment for it, and we got it done.

Original review: June 10, 2019

The igniter on my stove stopped working. I called Total Home Protection and they made an appointment. The contractor was very efficient. He came in, looked at the stove, saw what the problem was and let me know. He had to go to an appliance store to pick up the part and came back and installed it. The stove has been working perfectly fine and I haven’t had a problem. That was my first time putting in a claim, and so far, so good. I will recommend Total Home Protection.

Original review: June 9, 2019

I had one incident and Total Home's contractors came out and worked. The air conditioning had stopped cooling and I filed a claim online. The contractor was very professional and everything went smoothly. The issue was fixed and the air conditioning is still working now.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Claim manager reached out to me through email regarding update on a claim requesting I make contact. I have called seven times and left messages six. I also sent a reply to the original email sent to me and still no response. All I would like to know is, is my claim being honored or do I need to make personal arrangements to acquire a technician?

Original review: June 7, 2019

The salesman Tracy, was very helpful and explained everything very clearly. He was able to answer all my questions. I have a limited income and he was able to work with me to fit this plan into my budget.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Pleased to have spoken to Joseph. Have had many calls with offers from other companies and sales reps annoyed me and were so pushy. Joseph was professional and explained everything thoroughly and answered all my questions with pleasure! Keep up the good work!

Original review: June 7, 2019

When you’re a homeowner, you should always have a warranty on your stuff in your home. I had a company before Total Home Protection but they were charging me too much money. They were charging me $100 for my service fee whereas Total Protection was only charging me $45. My oven was leaking gas when I called the gas company out and they said I would need to call and get my stove fixed. Something was wrong with it. They also cut my stove off. That’s why I called Total Home Protection and they were good. They weren’t tripping.

It’s usually 48 hours that I can expect a contractor out and the one who came out for the oven was a really nice old man. He did an excellent job. Even the gas company, when they came back out, said he did an amazing job. Before the repair, I couldn't cook and I cook three meals a day because I take care of my grandmother who’s 95 years of age. So the issue affected me. But everything is good now. It was a good experience.

Original review: June 6, 2019

This company is incompetent at best and fraudulent at worst. I got them to send a technician to fix my gas range - it lasted for two-month, The company did not fix the problem correctly and led to another breakdown. A second call took two months and had to get a contractor on my own to fix the problem correctly. They offered to reimburse me. The charge was $250 - they only would reimburse me $90. Now they say I did not agree to their terms since I complained about the reimbursement amount. This is my fifth call trying to get it accepted. I cannot warn you enough NOT to go with Total Home protection.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Worst home warranty on the market. Completely liars. I submitted 3 claims and all were denied for very nebulous reasons. My garage door was denied because "it was installed improperly". This was an opener that was installed by Sears over 10 years ago. **. The other one was because my inside freezer was moved into the garage. Only covered if it is in the house. Don't waste your money.

Original review: June 5, 2019

The fan in the bedroom was starting to make weird noises and it started smelling like it was burning, and we were beginning to see it light up like a lantern. It was easy enough putting the claim in. But when I first put in the claim, even if it's an automated process it would have been nice if they said they've received the claim and they're gonna have someone else reach out to me. I didn't hear anything. And then all of a sudden, they called me to schedule. On Total Home's end, they didn't seem to be that available. But they got it done. The fan works.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Joe explained everything in detail. He was very kind and helpful. I feel like I got a good deal. I have peace of mind that having this coverage will save me money in the long run. I enjoyed talking to Joe.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you for selecting Total Home Protection for all your home warranty needs. We know your time is valuable so we take feedback very seriously. Your feedback allows us to improve our business and promote the level of service expected from a trusted industry leader. Total Home Protection strives to be a top rated home warranty provider. We have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. We sincerely thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service during normal business hours.

Original review: June 3, 2019

Tony, my sales associate was very informative and professional. Explained everything so that I could understand since I am a senior citizen. Decided it was something I needed. Thank you Tony. Now I won't have to worry about things breaking.

Original review: June 3, 2019

A real person actually answered the phone and spoke English that I could understand. Very easy to deal with. Since I just purchased the warranty have not had a chance to use it and hope I don't have to. Coverage was tailored to suit me and covers almost everything. If I have to use it, I feel that it will be handled professionally.

Original review: June 2, 2019

Joseph was very informative. He asked about being a senior so that saved us some money. He stayed with me until I got the email confirmation. Great customer service. He answered all my questions thoroughly. He waited patiently while my husband and I discussed beginning the service. Like that we can use our own specialists. Like that there’s 24/7 service available. Each plan was explained and additional options were listed for me.

Original review: June 2, 2019

We purchased a one year warranty on our home last week at the price of $450. Our salesperson was Donald and he was great. However, we still have not received any info on our warranty policy. We have no policy # or anything on it. We would appreciate it if you would forward that information to us ASAP so that we can make sure everything is in order. Thanks for your time and consideration in this matter. Debbie

Original review: June 2, 2019

I paid for the plan, was promised to get my account info in email, instead got an email on refer a friend program. Asked for information on my account, received no reply. Trying to get my account number, not successful so far.

Original review: June 2, 2019

We had Service America and the last time I used them, they were good but they went out of business. I shopped online, made some comparisons and read some reviews. Total Home responded fast and it went well. The person that I was working with was able to answer my questions and matched others that would give me certain extra months. The word is incentive.

One night, the air conditioning was making noises outside and I had to turn it off and restart it. It stopped doing that but then one night, I came home and the air conditioner was never cooling enough to the temperature we set it at. In the end, the technician checked everything in the system and added more Freon. He also added a thermostat. They thought that would maybe help but I don’t think the thermostat is working properly. There’s a calibration in there and the thermostat is not regulating right. Also, the service technician had to use the phone to translate. He did not speak any English at all. My partner was here and he speaks a little Spanish, but the tech still had to call his boss all the time and translate. I had to get on the phone with his boss but he did a great job.

Original review: June 1, 2019

It was getting warm out and I wanted to turn on my ceiling fan in the living room but it wouldn’t go on. The light would go on but the fans wouldn’t turn. I called up Total Home Protection and told them what the problem was. They said they were going to email or call me with the name of the person but I never got that email. I called them back and they gave me the name and the phone number. They also had the company call me. The contractor who came out was very nice. He was great. And I was shocked. He was here at about 8:00 in the morning and by 10:00 o’clock in the morning, he had gone, gotten a new ceiling fan and then installed it.

Original review: May 31, 2019

I hate this company and want my money back. I need to protect my home and my bank account as well because after this company get your money you become a nonfactor. You can no longer get your alls answered or returned and the policies don't cover anything. Not return phone calls. Ashley at ext ** is a poor excuse for a supervisor. She never answers the phone. Thank god for Willie the resolution manager.

Original review: May 31, 2019

We currently have been without AC for almost two weeks! It took almost a week to even get anyone out to our house to look at our AC. The first person that came out said the unit needed to be replaced due to it being worn out (20 years old). THP was not satisfied by his report and sent another technician. This guy wanted to rip into my duct work at the cost of $500, which THP was not willing to pay for. So now we sit, without AC and still have not heard anything from THP! Don’t use this company. BTW, I have had them for about 1 1/2 years and have never had a claim. They will do ANYTHING to get out of paying. We have had 2 independent HVAC companies come and look at it, just to verify that the unit is just worn out! Both companies are very reputable in our area; both refuse to work with THP because they won’t treat people very good! That says a lot....

Original review: May 31, 2019

I like the value and coverage of Total Home Protection and I’ve been with them for four months. I submitted the claim for the timer over the phone and the rep gave me notice when he was coming. He was there on time. I wasn’t even home when he came here because I had something to do, so he went and fixed it and he left. Since then, the timer has been working fine. The pool coverage isn’t the greatest in the world. I wish I could modify a little bit more, but it is what it is. It could be better but I would recommend Total Home.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 30, 2019

Total Home Protection's agent lied to get me to buy the warranty, now I'm stuck with a washer that doesn't work. I paid 420.00 for a 14 month warranty. THP claimed they can't find the part needed to repair my washer, so they want to send me a check for 180.00 for my buyout. The customer ser vice rep told me that THP offered guaranteed service, no contract, that they would repair or replace and that I could cancel at any time. I have called my claims manager several times, and she has yet to return my phone call. I finally got with a resolutions manager, and he was very demeaning. I told him that if I had to buy a new washer, then I wanted a refund on my warranty. He stated that I would only get 150.00 back on my warranty which went into effect on 3/7/2019. I'm very dissatisfied with this company and will never recommend them to anyone!!! Shame on THP for their sorry service!!!!

Total Home Protection response

Thank you contacting us with the above referenced review. We at Total Home Protection treat each review with the utmost respect and use this feedback to better serve our valued customers. Understandably there are two sides to every story and always look for a fair resolution between all parties.

The consumer placed a claim for the clothes washer on 5/7/2019 stating the unit was not advancing through the cycles. The vendor reported that the failure was with the pressure switch and the main control board. After trying to source the parts needed for repair, it came back that the part is no longer being produced by the manufacturer. When a part is no longer available through the manufacturer we send the consumer a check for the average cost of parts and labor to put towards the purchase of a new unit. Please see the referenced section of the policy below:

VII. GENERAL LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY

U. We have the sole right to determine whether a covered system or appliance will be repaired or replaced. We are responsible for installing replacement equipment of similar features, capacity, and efficiency, but not for matching dimensions, brand or color. We are not responsible for upgrades, components, parts, or equipment required due to the incompatibility of the existing equipment with the replacement system or appliance or component or part thereof or with new type of chemical or material utilized to run the replacement equipment including, but not limited to, differences in technology, refrigerant requirements, or efficiency as mandated by federal, state, or local governments. If parts are no longer available, we will offer a cash payment in the amount of the average cost between parts and labor of the covered repair. We reserve the right to locate parts at any time. We are not liable for replacement of entire systems or appliances due to obsolete, discontinued or unavailability of one or more integral parts. However, we will provide reimbursement for the costs of those parts determined by reasonable allowance for the fair value of like parts. We reserve the right to rebuild a part or component, or replace with a rebuilt part or component.

All claims have been properly serviced in accordance with the Service Agreement - all contracts have inclusions as well as exclusions. We are committed to providing a positive customer experience and doing the right thing for all our customers, contractors, employees, and our company.

We at Total Home Protection have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. If you have any further questions, please contact us at 1-800-545-0402.

Sincerely,
Cherish Payne
Toll Free: (800) 545-0402

www.totalhomeprotection.com

Original review: May 30, 2019

The gentleman on the phone was patient and explain all the question I had. I not a fan of paying for a visit, but, not all deals are perfect. I think I got a good deal and GREAT coverage. I would suggest using Total Home.

Total Home Protection’s coverage exclusions

In the Total Home Protection contract they provide a full list of coverage exclusions. Pre-existing conditions are not covered, which is standard to most home warranty contracts. Additionally, there may be parts or components of covered items that are excluded from coverage. For example, while Air Conditioning Systems are covered under the Platinum plan, replacement filters for those systems are not provided as part of that coverage. With appliances, you’ll often see items like knobs, dials, shelving and any removable accessories excluded from coverage as well.

In the event that a claim is denied due to a coverage exclusion, you have a right to get a second opinion from another service provider.

Total Home Protection’s coverage limits

Total Home Protection places coverage limits on certain items. This is the maximum dollar amount they will pay out per contract term for specific items. If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds this amount, you would be responsible for covering the remainder of the cost yourself.

Total Home Protection’s per contract term cap is $1,500 for “access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement” of all covered items. In addition, they have set coverage limits per item in certain areas.

ItemTotal Home Protection coverage limit
Refrigerant$10 per pound
Lawn sprinkler systems, refrigerator ice maker, septic tank pumping$200 per term
Ceiling and exhaust fans$400 per term
Ductwork, electrical system, limited roof leak, plumbing system and stoppages, pools and spas, septic system, sump pump, water heater, water softener, whirlpool bathtubs$500 per term

If a plumbing claim requires a service provider to break through walls or ceilings to make the repair, Total Home Protect will also cover up to $500 per claim to get the wall or ceiling back to a rough finish by hanging or patching drywall.

How to request service from Total Home Protection

You can file a claim 24/7 online or by calling the Total Home Protection claims department toll-free.

1. Submit your claim to Total Home Protection.
  2. Total Home Protection assigns one of their approved service providers to your case within two business days (four on weekends and holidays).
  3. The service provider will contact you to schedule your appointment.
  4. You will pay your trade service call fee (this will be specified in your contract, typically $60).

Total Home Protection guarantees labor for 30 days and parts for 90 days. Should a failure occur due to the labor provided on your repair within 30 days, Total Home Protection will send another technician out to fix the problem at no additional cost to you.

Total Home Protection FAQ

What states does Total Home Protection cover?
Total Home Protection covers 39 states. At this time, coverage is not available in California, Iowa, Maine, Massachusettes, Nevada, New York, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington or Wyoming.
Is there a limit on the number of claims?
There is no limit on the number of claims you can make during your contract term. However, there may be dollar limits and caps on covered items per contract term.
How do I cancel Total Home Protection?
If you cancel within 30 days of ordering, you will receive a full refund. Cancellation after 30 days will receive a pro-rated refund for the remainder of the contract and a $50 cancellation fee.
What happens if a covered item cannot be repaired?
If an item cannot be repaired, a replacement will be provided. If the cost of a replacement exceeds your coverage limit cap, Total Home Protection may provide a cash payout instead.

Is Total Home Protection worth it?

Total Home Protection provides plenty of coverage for homeowners. With monthly costs in line with the industry average and a below-average service call fee, we think Total Home Protection is worth it for homeowners looking for extra protection for their appliances and systems. A warranty can pay for itself with one repair.

Total Home Protection Company Information