3.19/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Total Home Protection strives to be the best in the home warranty industry. We have products and services that provide fast and efficient solutions. Total Home Protection promises to go above and beyond to help you get back on your feet. THP offers two plans for you to choose from that work with your budget. Regardless of age, make or model, we will cover repair or replace your covered items. Our technicians are licensed, pre-screened and insured to take care of your replacement or repair. Visit our website today for a free quote!

BOTTOM LINE

Total Home Protection offers competitive home warranty services. The plans are not available in every state, but they offer solid coverage plans to their served areas.

PROS

• Ability to add additional systems and appliances
  • Quality coverage

CONS

• Not available nationwide

Top Total Home Protection Reviews

I haven't been a customer for long but the amount of time and energy I've saved so far has been unmatched. Total Home Protection makes the repair process as easy as it should be my oven has been fixed to perfection for the cost of just a $45 deductible. I'm very impressed.

I submitted a claim with them online for my stainless steel dishwasher and they were very nice and they got it within 10 hours. Then the guy called me back, made the appointment and they came the next day. It's now back to normal and doing great.

Total Home Protection plans

Total Home Protection offers two plan variations for home warranty coverage. Both provide coverage for a mix of systems and appliances.

• Gold: Covers 15 items, including systems like plumbing and appliances like dishwashers.
  • Platinum: Covers 20 major home systems and appliances. In addition to the 15 items covered by the Gold plan, the Platinum plan covers more key appliances like refrigerators and systems like heat and AC.
  • Optional coverage: Additional items are available to add on to either plan, including items like pools and spas, water softeners and septic systems or additional appliances and systems like a second refrigerator or A/C unit.

Total Home Protection cost

Total Home Protection advertises plans as low as $1 per day. Because prices may vary by your location, home size and selected plan, the best way to get an accurate cost is to request a quote from Total Home Protection. Luckily, they make this easy with a simple online form.

Total Home Protection coverage

Between their two plans and add-on coverage, a Total Home Protection home warranty provides coverage for most major systems and household appliances.

The Gold plan covers the following systems and appliances:
  • Built-in microwave
  • Plumbing system
  • Trash compactor
  • Whirlpool bath
  • Water heater
The Platinum plan covers the following systems and appliances:
  • Air conditioning system
  • Refrigerator
  • Trash compactor
  • Whirlpool bath
  • Water heater
You can also add on optional coverage to your plan at a per-item fee for the following:
  • Additional A/C system
  • Water softener/li>
  • Well pump

Total Home Protection Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: July 4, 2019

Total Home was presented in a list with 10 other warranty companies to take a look at. I kinda looked them all over with the reviews and compared the benefits to the other, but Total Home was pretty much on par with just about everything, covering the majors on any kind of home protection. So, they came in at a reasonable deal, where I was satisfied with the agreement from what I could understand. And then, going on the reviews, I saw that they had worked claims before, and there were a few where people were not so happy. But by and large, I felt like everybody was satisfied where they needed to be.

Recently, I filed a claim because I noticed that the refrigerator was on the blitz. and they just came out and fixed it for the $75 agreement. I got it repaired within about three days because that part had to be ordered for the refrigerator. It was a good experience when I filed the claim. By and large, they got on it. They assured me that somebody would be out there and assigned to it, and I told them how the process worked. Everything was fine. They were pretty prompt and they called me in plenty of time for me to be ready for the person coming on the day that they said they were coming once got they got the part. The contractors were really good too. That guy was a young-ish guy. He came in. He was very nice and he got in here and he did it within 30 minutes. He explained what he was doing and he went ahead and just hooked everything up and it's fine after that. It's been good. I've had no issues with the refrigerator since that time.

I was really well pleased with the service that I got for the price. This is the first time I've ever owned. So, going into it, having the repairs and everything, but knowing that I had a pretty solid protection on my electrical, my plumbing, my appliances, those things that I really felt that I was covered on that. Especially, going forward, that also includes my heat and my air conditioning and making all the way up to 100 feet to the sewer line in the front of the house. And the electrical panel too. All those were really important to me being a homeowner, even though I had an inspection that came back clean. Who knows what awaits you. So, I was glad to have that and I do thoroughly intend on keeping it next year.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you for selecting Total Home Protection for all your home warranty needs. We know your time is valuable so we take feedback very seriously. Your feedback allows us to improve our business and promote the level of service expected from a trusted industry leader. Total Home Protection strives to be a top rated home warranty provider. We have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. We sincerely thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service during normal business hours at 1-800-545-0402.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 3, 2019

When I called Total Home Protection, their representative was awesome. He was not high-pressure. Sometimes, he gave me some options, some specials, and a lot of information. He wasn’t telling me, “Commit right now or else this is gonna go away.” I like that. I don’t like to be pressured to buy anything because I’m one of those people who can’t make up their mind immediately. I think it through and I wait. So, I contacted my husband and he said, “Nah, we have homeowners insurance. We’re fine." He said no. He had some questions, so I called back and reviewed the information with the representative. He answered all my questions. Again, he was very professional and he did tell that at a certain time, he was not gonna be answering the line.

We’re the type of family that once something goes out, we replace it. Some things are gonna last for a certain amount of time. But we’ve been lucky and we haven’t had anything major go wrong with anything we’ve owned. We were affected by Hurricane Isaac a while back. We’ve gotten new appliances and we’ve replaced things. Our home is not that old, so when our dryer had an issue, I thought it was just something minor. And it was. It was fixable. That was my first claim. We’ve been with them close to 2 years and I’ve got a second claim now.

We live in Laplace which is halfway between New Orleans and Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The contractor came from New Orleans. It was a little bit of a drive for him to come here. When I got the email, I contacted him. He didn’t reply immediately. He’s a busy guy, and it’s a small, local company so I gave him a little time. But I did hear from him by text that he would call me later. He was on a job. We did communicate and he was fantastic. He came by. Unfortunately, we had to go on vacation, so that kinda delayed our repair because we weren’t home. I did inform him that we were gonna be out-of-town because he ordered the part and said, “When the part comes in, call me, and I’ll come and install it.”

I had my child who doesn’t live here come by and check on the house and make sure everything was fine. When the part came, she said, “Mom, the part came. You can let your repairman know that it’s here so when you get back in town, you and him can make arrangements.” And that’s how it happened. He was awesome. He responded to my concern immediately. I’m very satisfied with the promptness and efficiency of the contractor that Total Home Protection sent. And I do highly recommend having this type of service because homeowners insurance doesn’t cover everything all the time. Total Home Protection is a good backup protection for our home.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I have four properties with Total Home Protection and whenever I have a claim, I just call them. They told me that I could call them any time and that they were available 24/7. So far, I've had three claims that had been done with. One of them involved the refrigerator and it had been fixed. So, that was good. In another property, we had a problem with the air conditioner. The tech came and took a picture, then he showed the company what happened and what needed to be done.

Then he said the motor needed to be replaced but Total Home denied the claim. They said they would not cover it because the unit was in improperly. I had to get a second opinion and when the tech came out, he charged $350. But Total Home denied it again and kept saying the unit was in improperly. Then they said they'd cover my claim for just 200 instead of 350. I was so shocked. They also said that the second opinion was covered but I'd have to wait for 30 days. So, most the time, Total Home would say that the work is not covered but I don’t have that list of what's covered and what's not covered.

The third claim I had was about the water leaking in the toilet. It was all over the floor from the kitchen to the bathroom. I called in on a Friday morning and they said I'd get a response within 24 to 48 hours from the contractor. So even though I filed a claim on a weekday or a weekend, I'd still have to wait that long. The tech they assigned to me was 5 Star Construction and Total Home sent me his name, number, and email. I texted and called him but he didn’t respond.

So, I emailed him in the morning and he emailed me back around 3 o’clock. He said he could come over at that time but my tenant was not available until 8 o’clock in evening. So, I sent them each other's phone numbers and they scheduled the repair. So, at least the tech responded on the same day, Monday. And he said he could come by the end of the day at 5 o’clock, so that was good. Recently, we had an issue with the washing machine and dryer in my property in Georgia, Lawrenceville but Total Home hasn't fixed it yet.

All in all, my experiences with Total Home have been pretty good. But a lot of things surprised me. For instance, they don't respond right away and I have to wait for a long time to get a response from the contractor. I also have to contact them again. If I don’t call and I don’t do anything, my service request doesn’t get a response.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I was looking for someone to handle my home projects or when something breaks down. I went online and started looking. I originally had American Home Shield and they were such a disappointment that I fired them. So I got to looking and called Total. I talked to one of their agents and what he had to say seemed pretty good., so I went ahead and signed up for it.

I had my garage door opener quit on me. I called them and they sent a technician to replace it. He told them the truth and the guy was very nice, very knowledgeable, and he was completely honest. However, it was alarming that while I was waiting for the Total Home Protect rep to decide what they were gonna do, there was so much hesitation on the other end of the line. It made me a little skeptical. I said, what am I signing up for here? They ended up replacing it but only because the installer said this thing was totally dead. Heaven forbid something else happens in a short span. But everything seems to be working fine.

However, I still don't know how everything works with them. I don’t have a policy from them. I don’t know what’s covered and what’s not covered, whether they just pay a percentage and then we pay the rest of an appliance or air conditioning. I couldn’t even remember who it was and then I had to go through bank records to find out who was taking the money every month. Then I finally found out then I called and verified. That was disappointing and I still don’t have the questions answered.

But the gentleman that came out fixed the garage door in a very timely manner and he’s also a plumber on the side. It wasn’t two weeks ago, I had him come out and fix a leak. I paid him directly, so it was a good thing he came out because that type of thing isn’t covered. He was more than fair, very good with what he did, and I would like to think that whoever Total Protect all send out in the future should there be an issue is as good as this guy was.

Total Home Protection response

Original review: April 23, 2019

When I purchased my home, the home warranty was expiring. Total Home Protection reached out to me and I have their policy now. In a recent claim, I called them for the sensor on the garage door. The reps gave me the information that was very informative. They explained thoroughly that if it was a sensor, it is not covered. But if the part has failed, then it is covered. I was very well-informed so it was great. Then Total Home Protection sent a top-notch contractor. They responded quickly and didn't have to run after parts. They had them all on their truck. The serviceman who fixed everything went above and beyond. He even serviced my garage door, did a greasing of the springs, and checked all the bolts. It was very excellent.

Normally, I hit the button when I’m leaving and then I hit the button when I’ve already backed out in the garage and think that the garage door is going down and that I would not worry about it. I had to start waiting to make sure if the door went halfway down, if it is gonna go all the way, or is it gonna go back up. I lost the confidence that it would close. Each time I go home and open the garage, it wouldn't work. And when I get ready to leave, it wouldn't close. I was very frustrated. But they fixed it and my frustration level is zero now. I have had good experience with Total Home Protection so far. I got the three-year policy and I hope they continue their services as expected.

Total Home Protection response

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

I received a call the same day. I was given information for the next day's appointment with the name of the vendor. I received a call from the vendor to confirm the appointment and how he was to be paid. Technician called from his car, stating he was at my door. Very professional and resolved the issues in a timely manner.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I usually do not respond to unsolicited offers; however, this looked very promising, so I "looked into it." I was very pleasantly surprised at the value and promise of the offer. The salesperson was very assuring and answered all of my questions. I think the Total Home Protection plan is very promising to alleviate me of concerns for the costs of repairs that will inevitably occur.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

MR ** was knowledgeable of the services provided and was persuasive enough to convince me to a program which was not part of my budget and more especially got me to but an extended plan. With his customer services I will gladly recommend this program to others.

Total Home Protection response

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I turned the switch for the garbage disposal to come on, and it stayed on. It wouldn’t cut off. So, I had to go in the garage and turn it off. I called in for a claim and I had no problem with the rep I dealt with. The contractor came in less than 48 hours, and that was why I was impressed with Total Home Protection. Before them, I had American Home Shield and it was a nightmare. When you made a claim, their contractors do not come until a week later. That was why I switched.

When the contractor came in, he found out that it wasn’t the garbage disposal. He said it was the electrical. So, I made two calls for this one and both of the contractors who came in were good. The electrical guy had to give me a new electrical switch for the garbage disposal on the wall, and everything is operating well now. I have also used Total Home Protection for my air conditioner before, and it took their contractor less than 24 hours to get there. So, I’ve called three times, and in all three times I was very satisfied.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

My AC was not working. Reported to THP. They gave me numbers for 2 contractors; one had a full voice mail msg, the other was the wrong number. I was told I could get my service to come over to evaluate. I sent the copy of the work order and receipt of what I paid. My technician reported to me that the AC was not repairable and needed to be replaced. Total Home told me my tech said it was from rust and corrosion and was not covered. My tech reported he had been unable to reach them and to this day..2 months later, neither me nor my technician has talked to them. I haven't been reimbursed the money I put out and paid and according to their website my case has been closed.

To Whom It May Concern:

Thank you contacting us with the above referenced review. We at Total Home Protection treat each review with the utmost respect and use this feedback to better serve our valued customers. Understandably there are two sides to every story and always look for a fair resolution between all parties.

The consumer placed a claim for the air conditioner on 9/17/2019 stating the unit was not turning on. Per the invoice received, the vendor reported the failure was the unit was low on refrigerant as well as a leak on the evaporator coil. The leak is in the middle of the coil and cannot be fixed, and they cannot get a new coil to fit in the cabinet. Leaks on a coil are caused by rust and/or corrosion. Per our policy, rusted and/or corroded coils, as well as failures due to rust and/or corrosion are excluded from coverage. Please see the referenced section of the policy below:

V. COVERAGE

A. Air Conditioning System

Note: Coverage available on Air Conditioning units up to a 5-ton capacity, and for residential use only.

COVERED: Mechanical parts and components of two (2) ducted electric central air conditioning systems. All components and parts for units below 13 SEER and/or R-22 equipment, and when we are unable to facilitate repair and/or replacement of failed covered equipment at the current SEER rating or with R-22 equipment, repair and/or replacement will be performed with 13 SEER/R410A equipment and/or

7.7 HSPF or higher compliant, except:

NOT COVERED: Filters; filter driers; condenser casings; registers and grills; water towers; humidifiers; chillers; electronic air cleaners; window units; non-ducted wall units; mini-split wall units; gas air conditioning systems; water evaporative coolers; swamp coolers; condensate pumps; thermal expansion valves; all exterior condensing, cooling and pump pads; disconnect boxes; roof mounts, jacks,

stands or supports; cost for crane rentals; electronic, computerized, and manual systems management and zone controllers; commercial grade equipment; refrigerant conversion; leak detections; water leaks; drain line stoppages or drain pans; failures due to open windings, line restrictions, filter driers; maintenance; rusted and/or corroded coils; component short to ground; noise without a related mechanical failure; improperly sized units; air conditioning with mismatched condensing unit and evaporative coil per manufacturer specifications; improper use of metering devices (i.e. thermal expansion valves). We are not responsible for the costs associated with matching dimensions, brand or color made. We will not pay for any modifications or upgrades necessitated by the repair of existing equipment or the installation of new equipment. We will pay up to $10 per pound per occurrence for refrigerant. You are responsible for payment of any costs in excess of $10 per pound.

VII. GENERAL LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY

A.The following are not included during the contract term; (i) malfunction or improper operation due to rust or corrosion of all systems and appliances, (ii) collapsed ductwork, (iii) known or unknown pre-existing conditions, deficiencies and/or defects.

D. This Agreement covers only repairs and/or replacements due to mechanical failure attributable to ordinary wear and tear. Accordingly, the Agreement does not cover failures which may result from other causes, such as without limitation abuse; misuse and/or neglect; lack of maintenance; rust and/or corrosion; noise without a related mechanical failure; chemical or sedimentary build up; failures due to
calcium build-up; lightning strikes; missing parts; animal, pet and/or pest damage; power failure; power surge; fire; casualty; water damage; acts of God; structural and/or property damage; flood; smoke; earthquake; freeze damage; accidents; war; acts of terrorism; nuclear explosion, reaction, radiation or radioactive contamination; insurrection; riots; vandalism; or intentional destruction of property.

This Agreement does not cover mechanical failures resulting directly or indirectly from or caused by mold, mildew, mycotoxins, fungus, bacteria, virus, condensation, and/or wet or dry rot regardless of the source, origin, or location and any other cause or event contributing concurrently or in any sequence to the mechanical failure. We are not responsible for drywall or rough finish repairs on not covered claims.

All claims have been properly serviced in accordance with the Service Agreement - all contracts have inclusions as well as exclusions. We are committed to providing a positive customer experience and doing the right thing for all our customers, contractors, employees, and our company.

In an effort to provide good customer service, we can increase the goodwill assistance already offered to $400.00 to help assist with this non-covered claim.

We at Total Home Protection have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. If you have any further questions, please contact us at 1-800-545-0402.

Sincerely,
Cherish Payne
Toll Free: (800) 545-0402

www.totalhomeprotection.com

Total Home Protection’s coverage exclusions

In the Total Home Protection contract they provide a full list of coverage exclusions. Pre-existing conditions are not covered, which is standard to most home warranty contracts. Additionally, there may be parts or components of covered items that are excluded from coverage. For example, while Air Conditioning Systems are covered under the Platinum plan, replacement filters for those systems are not provided as part of that coverage. With appliances, you’ll often see items like knobs, dials, shelving and any removable accessories excluded from coverage as well.

In the event that a claim is denied due to a coverage exclusion, you have a right to get a second opinion from another service provider.

Total Home Protection’s coverage limits

Total Home Protection places coverage limits on certain items. This is the maximum dollar amount they will pay out per contract term for specific items. If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds this amount, you would be responsible for covering the remainder of the cost yourself.

Total Home Protection’s per contract term cap is $1,500 for “access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement” of all covered items. In addition, they have set coverage limits per item in certain areas.

ItemTotal Home Protection coverage limit
Refrigerant$10 per pound
Lawn sprinkler systems, refrigerator ice maker, septic tank pumping$200 per term
Ceiling and exhaust fans$400 per term
Ductwork, electrical system, limited roof leak, plumbing system and stoppages, pools and spas, septic system, sump pump, water heater, water softener, whirlpool bathtubs$500 per term

If a plumbing claim requires a service provider to break through walls or ceilings to make the repair, Total Home Protect will also cover up to $500 per claim to get the wall or ceiling back to a rough finish by hanging or patching drywall.

How to request service from Total Home Protection

You can file a claim 24/7 online or by calling the Total Home Protection claims department toll-free.

1. Submit your claim to Total Home Protection.
  2. Total Home Protection assigns one of their approved service providers to your case within two business days (four on weekends and holidays).
  3. The service provider will contact you to schedule your appointment.
  4. You will pay your trade service call fee (this will be specified in your contract, typically $60).

Total Home Protection guarantees labor for 30 days and parts for 90 days. Should a failure occur due to the labor provided on your repair within 30 days, Total Home Protection will send another technician out to fix the problem at no additional cost to you.

Total Home Protection FAQ

What states does Total Home Protection cover?
Total Home Protection covers 39 states. At this time, coverage is not available in California, Iowa, Maine, Massachusettes, Nevada, New York, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington or Wyoming.
Is there a limit on the number of claims?
There is no limit on the number of claims you can make during your contract term. However, there may be dollar limits and caps on covered items per contract term.
How do I cancel Total Home Protection?
If you cancel within 30 days of ordering, you will receive a full refund. Cancellation after 30 days will receive a pro-rated refund for the remainder of the contract and a $50 cancellation fee.
What happens if a covered item cannot be repaired?
If an item cannot be repaired, a replacement will be provided. If the cost of a replacement exceeds your coverage limit cap, Total Home Protection may provide a cash payout instead.

Is Total Home Protection worth it?

Total Home Protection provides plenty of coverage for homeowners. With monthly costs in line with the industry average and a below-average service call fee, we think Total Home Protection is worth it for homeowners looking for extra protection for their appliances and systems. A warranty can pay for itself with one repair.

Total Home Protection Company Information