2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties
Accredited Partner

Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.08/5

Total Home Protection offers two home warranty plans for customers to choose from. Coverage is available for major systems and appliances regardless of age, make or model. Technicians are prescreened for licensing and insurance to take care of major replacements and repairs.

BOTTOM LINE

Total Home Protection offers competitive home warranty services. Between its two plans and add-ons, THP can provide coverage for most major systems and household appliances. However, availability and costs vary by location.

PROS

• Free online quote
  • Add-on coverage options
  • Large network of technicians

CONS

• Not available in all states
  • Some complaints about support

Top Total Home Protection Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

… The price was right. It was a good deal… there's an online process to use. I like online stuff. It’s easy for me to do. I sent in the claim when I had a lone circuit breaker in my fuse panel and I liked the electrical company that came out so much. It was a great service.

The agent was very helpful in describing the plan. What the plan covered and the term and cost. He gave the information on a five year plan and a three year plan. All the plans sounded good…

Total Home Protection Get a Quote

Total Home Protection plans

Depending on the warranty plan you select, Total Home Protection coverage can include a mix of systems and appliances. The Gold plan covers 15 items, including systems like plumbing and appliances like dishwashers. Platinum coverage includes 20 major home systems and appliances. Additional coverages are available, including for pools and spas, water softeners and septic systems.

Gold plan

Total Home Protection’s Gold plan provides coverage for basic systems and appliances:

• Plumbing system
  • Ductwork
  • Garage door opener
  • Ceiling and exhaust fans
Platinum plan

The Platinum plan covers everything in the Gold plan, plus your air conditioning system, clothes washer and dryer, heating system and refrigerator.

• Air conditioning system
  • Ductwork
  • Garage door opener
  • Ceiling and exhaust fans
Optional coverage

Extra coverages are also available for those who want further protection.

• Pools and spas
  • Additional heating system
  • Additional water heater
  • Additional garage door opener

Total Home Protection costs

Plans generally start between $40 and $50 per month. Because prices may vary by your location, home size and selected plan, the best way to get an accurate cost estimate is to request a quote from Total Home Protection.

Total Home Protection coverage exclusions

Preexisting conditions are not covered, which is standard on most home warranty contracts. Additionally, there may be parts or components of covered items that are excluded from coverage.

For example, while air conditioning systems are covered under the Platinum plan, replacement filters for those systems are not provided, according to a sample service agreement. With appliances, you often see items like knobs, dials, shelving and any removable accessories excluded from coverage.

A home warranty contract with THP may also include dollar amount caps, or coverage limits,  so it’s important to read the agreement carefully.

Total Home Protection coverage limits

Total Home Protection places coverage limits on certain items (see below). If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds this amount, you would be responsible for covering the remainder of the costs yourself.

Total Home Protection’s per contract term cap is $1,500 for “access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement” of all covered items. In addition, it has coverage limits per item in certain areas. This is the maximum dollar amount the company will pay out per contract term for specific items.

If a claim requires a service provider to break through walls or ceilings to make the repair, Total Home Protect will also cover up to $500 per claim to get the wall or ceiling back to a rough finish by hanging or patching drywall.

ItemTHP coverage limit*
Plumbing and electrical$500
Water heater$500
Whirlpool bathtub, spa/pool$500
Ceiling/exhaust fan$400
Septic tank pumping$200
Refrigerator ice maker$200

*For access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement (per contract term)

Total Home Protection FAQ

Does Total Home Protection have a waiting period?
Yes, coverage kicks in 30 days after enrollment. In certain circumstances, Total Home Protection may waive the waiting period.
Where is Total Home Protection available?
THP offers service contracts in all states except for California and Nevada.
How do I request service from Total Home Protection?
You can file a claim 24/7 online or by calling the Total Home Protection claims department toll-free.
  1. Submit your claim to Total Home Protection.
  2. Total Home Protection assigns one of its approved local contractors to your case within two business days (four days on weekends and holidays).
  3. The service provider will contact you to schedule your appointment.
  4. You will pay your trade service call fee (specified in your contract, typically $60 to $75).

Total Home Protection guarantees labor for 30 days and parts for 90 days. Should a failure occur due to the labor provided on your repair within 30 days, Total Home Protection will send a technician to fix the problem at no additional cost to you.

Can I cancel Total Home Protection?
Yes. If you cancel within 30 days of ordering, you will receive a full refund. If you cancel after 30 days, you will receive a prorated refund for the remainder of the contract, minus a $50 administrative fee for each unused term.
Is there a limit on the number of claims?
There is no limit on the number of claims you can make during your contract term. However, there may be dollar caps on covered items per contract term.
What happens if a covered item cannot be repaired?
If Total Home Protection cannot repair a covered item, it will provide a replacement under your contract’s terms. The company may offer a cash payout instead.

Is Total Home Protection legit?

Total Home Protection is a legitimate home warranty company. It offers plenty of coverage options for homebuyers and sellers. Monthly costs are in line with the industry average, and it has a below-average service call fee, which is why we think the company is worth considering. It could be an especially good choice for those who like the idea of managing their account and claims online.

Total Home Protection Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

I called Total Home and they told me that there was somebody going to be in touch with me, so I waited. But I didn't hear anything for three days. So I called them back and the rep said, “Well, we don't show that you've ever put in a claim.” I told her that I put in a claim three days ago and that they told me that they would be in touch but no one's been in touch. She said she would have to put in a claim and then, within 20 minutes, a gentleman called me and said that he is out there in Palatka and that he’d go and look at the AC unit. He was a very nice man. He took care of it. There were some parts that had to be ordered. So he ordered them, got approval on them, and then he installed them and got them up and running.

Some other AC company called me and said that they wouldn't be able to get out there for a couple more days. But I told them somebody that was out there already. So I called Total Home back and said, “Hey, we've already gotten our unit fixed. Now there's people calling me, telling me that they can't get out to look at it for a couple days. Can you update your system?” The rep said, “We don't show that anybody's even been out there.” It was like their system wasn’t connecting with whatever. They have communication problems. But we got everything fixed and under our warranty and paid our deductible. It all worked out. It was just weird.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you for selecting Total Home Protection for all your home warranty needs. We know your time is valuable so we take feedback very seriously. Your feedback allows us to improve our business and promote the level of service expected from a trusted industry leader. Total Home Protection strives to be a top rated home warranty provider. We have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. We sincerely thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service during normal business hours at 1-800-545-0402.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

The claims submission process with Total Home Protection is relatively fine. The issue that I've had more recently was I added a second policy to my personal home versus my rental, and the first technician I dealt with was not knowledgeable at all and he caused more issues. Total Home Protection denied my claim because they said that the technician said something that was false. The subsequent technician looked it over and saw that the other technician was incompetent. Unfortunately, due to COVID, the new technician, who I'm actually pretty impressed with, can't get the parts that I need to fix my unit. He's waiting for the parts to come in because it was delayed.

It's nice that the deductibles are pretty cheap. My monthly stuff is pretty cheap. I don't like the sales when they try to sell it to people. They say, "Oh, well, yeah, we'll make it cheaper if you pay for like three years in advance." It's like, "Well, I don't know if you're gonna be here three years." So, I pay a monthly. With my initial one, I paid for like 18 months. I pay monthly for both of mine.

As far as the contractors, it's a mixed bag. Some of them are really really good and know what they're doing, and some of them are really bad. The problem is that you're not believed. The only reason I was believed in this situation that I had was because the contractor was so rude to the technician. I have a double oven range. The top of my range is gas. The bottom of my range is electric. My bottom oven stopped working, but that's the larger oven. I was not able to cook a turkey in my house this year because my bottom oven was not functioning. I called the technician out. He came out a day or so after I called in. He was very unprofessional. I typically try not to judge a book by its cover because if you come here and fix my problem, I don't care. He came, looked at it and pushed some buttons and then said, "Yeah, it's the coil. That's what the issue is. I had to order the part."

I figured he should have some type of tools to figure out what the problem was. He left, ordered the part, came back a week or so later with the coil he said he needed, and he disassembled the coil that was in the machine, and then he hooked up this new coil. He tried it and he said it didn't work. He then disconnected the new coil that he had ordered through the warranty company, took it back, put it back, and left my old coil just laying there. He didn't reattach it. He just left the oven disassembled and said, "Yeah, it can't be fixed." He left, told the warranty people that he fixed the coil and then also told them that, now, other things in the stove are broken, and so, that was why the stove was not working. So therefore, they need to replace the stove. He couldn't fix it, and so he lied to them and said the stove needs to be replaced.

My stove is very expensive. Everything in my kitchen is expensive. It was a couple of thousand dollar stove. Their response is, "Oh, we're not trying to pay out a couple of grand. That would be a prorated value. So, we're gonna deny your claim 'cause we tried to fix it and that's that." I said, "No, he didn't even fix what he's telling you he fixed. If he fixed that, then I would have no problem, right? He's telling you other things are broken that aren't broken. There's no issue with those things." Their response to me was, "Well, he has 30 days to warranty his work. So, we have to give him another opportunity to come back."

My response was, "Okay. But he didn't do the work in the first place. So why would we give him an additional 30 days to make a determination about this thing working or not?" They said, "Well, this is what we have to do." I said, "Okay. Well, I don't have a stove for Thanksgiving because you're telling me you can't change the contractor at this point in time and that he has 30 days to warranty his work that he didn't do. Well, can you all call him? Because I've tried to call him, he won't come back." They took the time to call him and he cussed out the representative. The representative said, "Oh, I see what you're dealing with now. Okay, we'll send another technician."

They sent another technician. The guy came out and he was excellent. He was in a uniform and he had a truck and tools. He was professional and put together and he said, "Yeah, I ordered a part and it's just not here. I'm waiting on dozens of parts for dozens of customers because of the global pandemic, unfortunately." What I've learned is I need a computer board for my stove, and that's why it's not working. He did call the warranty company in front of me, which I don't think he was supposed to do, but he did. The warranty company said, "Yeah, we'll approve that." It was a $700 part. The guy knew his stuff. He did what he was supposed to do and went well beyond that. I was gonna cancel both my plans and get another service company, and then he made up for the first guy.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

I was quite disappointed when I found out that the claim was not covered. I was told that my kitchen faucet was loose. Water was dripping under the sink at a fast rate. When the contractor came out, they looked into it and said the faucet needed to be replaced. They came back and said Total Home Protection does not cover it. I was really disturbed that a water leak wasn't covered. That's normal wear and tear but I got it taken care of on my own. I had to get somebody outside of my insurance to come and change it for me. After talking to some people, I was told that that's normal for them not to replace a faucet. But the thing is that the people that came out still wanted a service fee. That's the part that I couldn't get behind - a service fee of $60 and they were there for less than a minute.

I wanted some explanation. I called that person that sent me an email regarding my claim but she never emailed me back or answered my voicemail. I made several calls and did speak to someone. They transferred me to somebody 'cause I was calling to cancel. The person on the other end asked me why did I wanna cancel and I told her. She offered me two very good things that I couldn't turn down and I was very pleased that she was more interested in keeping me as a client.

However, it did kinda make me hesitant to call in another claim. My garbage disposal is rattling when I turn it on. It feels like something is loose. I'm thinking is this wear or tear or do I need to file a claim. I don't want somebody else to come out then tell me it's not covered. Plus, I didn't wanna seem like I was making claims back-to-back even though the first one wasn't covered. But I don't mind paying the service fee. I'll do anything to get that rattling noise out of there. It'd be even better if they could replace the whole thing.

Total Home Protection response

Original review: April 24, 2020

I was unsatisfied with the warranty company that I had and then I tried Total Home Protection. I like them and they respond much quicker than the other two warranty companies that I had in the past. Last time, when my air conditioner went out, techs came and said the unit needed a motor. But I came to find out that I didn't need a motor. The guy from Choice told me I had to pay half. They reneged on the deal and I told them that as soon as my time was up, I would stop and I did. I paid $60 for the guy to come here and half for the motor. I needed to have air 'cause I got three grandbabies in the house.

I filed the claim with Total Home and the issue has not been fixed yet. It took me a while to contact them and it also took time for them to call the contractors to come out. But after I got to speak to somebody, they reacted pretty good. They called me and set me an appointment with a technician two times. The tech was supposed to come that day but they said they had to release him for some other reason. They got another guy to come in within 48 hours after I called about the issue.

With Total Home, they said they're gonna take care of everything other than the parts that are unfixable. The tech saw that the unit needed some electric wire. He did what he was supposed to do and I had no problems with him. He ordered a part. He called me Saturday and said the part was in. Now, I am waiting for him to come and finish it up.

Total Home Protection response

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

Eddie was a great Sales Rep! He told all about the Home Warranty will cover. Eddie also told me about different specials and plans you have to save money. Unfortunately, right now I can only afford this one. Thanks again for All your help Eddie!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I signed up with Total Home Protection. I like the extra two months free and a leaking roof. The $32 was the lowest price. The application process was pretty simple. The rep asked me a bunch of questions, and I answered. I told him I have to get back with him because, at first, I didn't know if I could do it or not because of other stuff that was going on in my life. They were pretty persistent about me signing up. In the process of trying to figure out if I wanted it or not, I got another call. Then, I got another call. I was like, “Okay. Let me research this stuff.” And I had another call. Then I got busy again. So, the persistence made me check out other companies.

Then finally, I was ready. I realized I would have enough leftover to start payment. They convinced me. I don't really know what you would cover and what I would have to go through to get covered. For something to break down, I've never had to go through that. But all in all, it's pretty satisfying to know that if something breaks down, I can call them.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

The application process at Total Home Protection was really easy. The reps were very nice and knowledgeable.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I asked a lot of questions. Rep was patient, answered/clarified everything for me. Within 1 min I had my policy sent so I could go over it. You hear so many bad things, I hope I am happy with this co.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

Very clear, kind and explained all we needed to know about the policy and the discounts that were available at the time. I will recommend your business to friends and family. Also explained the extended yearly coverage offered. Hopefully you will be there when needed.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

The rep was professional and explained what Total Home Protection had to offer. I’ve been in the house for a few years now and this plan would be able to help.

Total Home Protection Company Information