3.51/5
Based on 169 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Total Home Protection strives to be the best in the home warranty industry. We have products and services that provide fast and efficient solutions. Total Home Protection promises to go above and beyond to help you get back on your feet. THP offers two plans for you to choose from that work with your budget. Regardless of age, make or model, we will cover repair or replace your covered items. Our technicians are licensed, pre-screened and insured to take care of your replacement or repair. Visit our website today for a free quote!

Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 18, 2018

225 Total Home Protection Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I have compared some companies and this one comes out ahead with the services that you provide and for the amount that it cost. I kind of can’t wait to see what kind of service I get when I really need you. Thank you.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Jessie was very professional and patient in explaining the process of owning a home warranty policy. He reviewed all of the options. Additionally, he understood my concerns. I asked him if I could call him back to verify for myself that he was authentic. There are so many scammers today. I have to be careful. He was very understanding with my concern of security.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

My review is based on the rude and unprofessional encounter when I wanted to cancel. It is not based on any specific service or claim. Late night on Sunday Feb 11th, I went on a website to get a quote from Total Home Protection. Early morning on Monday Feb 12th, I received a call from Henry ** for a sales offer. The sales call was courteous, and he took the time to answer many questions my wife and I had. Offered a discounted package that costs $3000 for 6 years for two properties under a "realtor program". That was appreciated.

To get the discounted package, at a minimum, put $750 down and pay the remaining balance over 3 payments, and I must sign up for it during the same phone call. As we did not have the time to do the research, we voiced hesitation that it's a lot of money to commit to now. Henry ** said that there's a 30 day period to get a full refund, so we did that, as we can do the research we wanted to after the call and cancel if we don't like what we found. So we paid the $750.

After the call, we begin researching on various websites. Long story short, we quickly found a repeating pattern of similar complaints. We also understand that most people don't leave a review when their experience is positive, so we took all that into consideration, and concluded that the reported troubles are not something we want to waste our future time on based on the negative experiences that many Total Home Protection's customers have.

So after the research, I called Total Home Protection to request to cancel, as it is well within my 30 days, and politely explained why I wished to cancel when they asked. After that, I was automatically transferred to another number without being told, and when connected, it was Henry **. He asked why I wished to cancel, and I gave the same explanation calmly and politely. To be fair, to try to keep me from cancelling, he offered to send someone out to look at my faucet problem (which I described to him during the sales call) right away, which was appreciated. However, he missed the point on why I wanted to cancel, and I continued to reaffirm that I want to cancel. At that point, Henry ** became aggressive, started over talking me, and charged that I "turned from a nice guy this morning to a not so nice guy" and threatened to "inform everyone in the industry so that no one would do business with me".

I have not received any email confirmation that I was charged, though I was charged and have credit card proof, and I did not receive any email confirmation or verbal confirmation by the customer service rep that my refund will be processed. So, in summary, my 1-star review is strictly based on the rude and unprofessional communication from Henry ** when I wanted to cancel. The call was recorded according to Total Home Protection's customer service phone system, so there is evidence of my experience above. I would not have left any review at all if the phone conversation was polite and professional. No product or service is perfect, I get it. In this case, Henry ** lost 35 minutes of his day by talking to me on a phone that resulted in zero net gain, which while unfortunate, is part of the sales job. However, there is no place for intimidation, rudeness, and threats.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I never write any review. Just because I want to help who is looking to have warranty I am writing this time. I been with Home Shield for 10 years with one of my homes and never had problem. This home I was thinking to call same company and add to my policy but Total Home Protection company called me and sold service and salesperson got me for one year with one single payment. You can get your money back in first 30 days but guess what? You are not covered in first 30 days anyway and you dont know how they would treat you. I found out their 30 days no coverage later at the end.

After 40 days of purchase I called them for Cooking range top. Tech came, After an hr call to different persons he said he would have to order parts and left with promise to come back next day. After 3 days when he did not show up I called and he said I need to call company to find out who is going to pay for this repair. Called company and they said, "It is normal wear and tear and we can't do anything about it. If it would been some kinds of damage we would cover but this is normal wear and tear. We cant fix it." I asked the person who said he is claim manager if something goes wrong to my water heater after few days you might deny because would have aging problem too. His response was there is possibility of that.

Long story short they did not cover it and furthermore he said they can deny anything under normal wear and tear and you cant do anything about it. I been with Home Shield company for many years but never had problem single time. Not only this repair I would have to pay out of my pocket. Tech took $45 for service call too. So I lost money from both side.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I am a private consumer and had a home warranty program with a well known company for 3 years. Recently I called for service and was informed that the service fee had increased by 66%. I saw the advertisement for Total Home Protection on FB. Donald was very helpful in explaining the coverage and got me the best deal. I am relieved!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I found all the personnel I spoke to be friendly and pleasant and knowledgeable. I don't say this very often but I actual enjoyed talking with your representatives. If I'm ever asked who I chose for my home warranty coverage I will not hesitate to send them to Total Home Protection.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

The customer service provided by Eli was fantastic. After reviewing several Home Warranty companies, I felt that Total Home, as the name implies, is most comprehensive and best suited to my needs. Based on my purchase experience, I would recommend this company to my friends and family.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

When describing our experience with Total Home Protection, I can only say at this time that Anthony was very clear describing the policy and program. I will say that he was very personable and I appreciate his clear explanations.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Friendly service with a great price. The representative had a very fast response and followup to my call. There was an up-sale that I requested a callback to review in 6 months. We see that happened when I have the contract in hand and make a service call.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

The THP salesman lied, Period. We eventually got a policy by email. In the fine print it listed certain exclusions we did not become aware of until later. Had we realized this, we would not have purchased the policy to begin with. For example, for water heaters, they cap the benefit at $500 -- nonsense since the cost of replacing a 40 gallon water heater is at least $1500. It also excluded the tank of the water heater... hello? Like it can operate without a water tank? My sad story is that our water heater had a very ordinary defect, that happens fairly frequently in older water heaters--rust and leaking from the tank. They did not cover it of course. We replaced it at our own expense.

But what really angered me, is that they took a whole week in the middle of winter to inform us that the claim was denied. They gave us a vendor to contact --at the limit of the 48 hours allowed in the policy for them to provide an "available" vendor to diagnose the problem. The vendor could not get to us for 3 more days, with a weekend in between. Did I mention this is in the middle of winter in Colorado? By the time they made a determination on the claim, a whole week had gone by. Going to the gym for a hot shower was getting pretty old. During this week, the dishwasher did not run, the clothes washer ran, but only on a cold/cold setting, etc.

Oh, and I gleaned from one customer service representative that they have but a single vendor for this kind of problem in Colorado Springs, a city of 500,000. Should I have read every word in the policy as soon as I received it? Perhaps. But it means we could not rely on any of the information given by their sales representative in their sales pitch. I'll try my luck with AHS next. I have had their services on other properties in the past and had no complaints. I am hoping they still maintain their high standards. PS: I don't blame the vendor, just the insurer.

Total Home Protection response
The customer placed a claim for a Hot Water Heater not heating on 1/24/2018 and was assigned to a technician on 1/25/18. We received a diagnosis that the bottom is rusted out and the tank is leaking on 1/31/2018 which was within the time frame that our policy states. Please see the referenced section of the policy below;
V. COVERAGE G.Water Heater
COVERED: All components and parts for gas and/or electric hot water heaters, including circulating pumps, except:
NOT COVERED: Auxiliary and secondary holding/storage tanks; main, holding or storage tanks; expansion tanks; base pans; drain pans and drain lines; line restrictions; pressure reducing valve; sediment build-up; mineral and/or calcium build-up; rust and corrosion; combustion shutdown; color or purity of water; flues; vent pipes/lines; insulation and insulation blankets; heat recovery units; tankless hot water heaters; low boy and/or squat water heaters; solar water heaters including all solar components and parts; any noise without a related mechanical failure; racks; straps; timers; energy management systems; commercial grade equipment and units exceeding 75 gallons. We will pay no more than $500 per contract term for access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement.
III. REQUESTING SERVICE

B. Upon request for service under normal circumstances, we will contact an authorized Service Contractor within two (2) days during normal business hours and four (4) days on weekends and holidays after you request service. The authorized Service Contractor will contact you to schedule a mutually convenient appointment during normal business hours. We will determine what repairs constitute an emergency and will make reasonable efforts to expedite emergency service. We will accept your request to expedite scheduling of non-emergency service only when a Service Contractor is available. If the Service Contractor agrees to expedite scheduling of a non-emergency service request, you may be required to pay an additional fee.

All claims have been properly serviced in accordance with the Service Agreement - all contracts have inclusions as well as exclusions. We are committed to providing a positive customer experience and doing the right thing for all our customers, contractors, employees, and our company.

Regards,
Laura Donovan

www.totalhomeprotection.com

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

The salesman made it sound great I bought a 5 year plan for 1500. He emailed me a “sample” contract, I called and asked for my real contract. It took them over 30 days to mail it and I discovered the policy had way too many things it wouldn’t cover like gas powered heating, my whole home is on propane!! When I tried to cancel, they refused to refund all of my $$ paid and I had zero service calls? The man was so rude and told me that is printed in my contract a cancelation fee for canceling after 30 days. This is a scam and I will also make a report to the insurance commissioner.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I just got off the phone with Henry ** in sales. It was clear he was a salesman. He was very rude and was not comfortable with me taking time to think it over and discuss it with my spouse. And I couldn’t view a policy. I will not be going with this company. If Henry ** wants to make a sale he should realize his NY sales tactics and attitude does not fly in the South. Try courtesy and respect.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

A claim for a simple valve replacement for a washer has not been fulfilled. The claim number issued, the repair service provider missed 2 appointments and was non responsive. The company is largely unreachable. The main line has not worked since I've been a customer. Emails got a modicum of response. Clearly they profit by an effective sales pitch and fail to provide service or make themselves available for placing claims, following up, or complaining that service is forthcoming. If I could cancel and get my money back I would. In my estimation my policy would indeed be out of enforcement and they would have no obligation to insure. I won't renew. I wouldn't recommend anyone judge this company on its pathological sales acumen. Rather, take a look solely at customers attempting to file claims. Like myself.

Total Home Protection response
Thank you contacting us with the above referenced complaint. We at Total Home Protection treat each complaint with the utmost respect and use this feedback to better serve our valued customers. Understandably there are two sides to every story and always look for a fair resolution between all parties.
We have been in contact with this customer and have updated all contact information. The claim has been assigned and we have waived the SCF as a courtesty to this customer.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

DONT DO BUSINESS WITH TOTAL HOME PROTECTION. Sign up they’re very nice so called helping get you the package, when you call in to get a Service requests handle you get a list of companies in your area to pick from. First one didn’t return call. Second one don’t do business with Total Home Protection no more (hung up in my face). Third one Childress Construction was a Louisiana number (I’m in California). Said he will be out Monday. (Google his number nothing but bad reviews. He respond back to most of them blaming everything on a hurricane.) Should of canceled after that, Monday no call no show. Call Total Home Protection. Got an excuse that he was busy so Thursday is the new date. No call no show again.

Now I call to cancel and get another person... Total Home Protection said NO. I already started with him I have to stay, another new appointment for Saturday. He show up, apologize for last two times, check dryer. Had to order part (for 3 months he told me the part came in was damage, back order, empty box missing part). This whole time I’m trying to get a new technician. Total Home Protection keep denying me. He get the right part. No call no show on first appointment to install the new part. Second appointment he installed but dryer not working. He misdiagnose it (4 1/2 months to get to this point). Total Home Protection now tell me they only cover up to some much and my repair is over (some dryer that never got fix). Childress Construction have an D rating by BBB.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Eli was helpful and got the plan that works best for me. I am on a fixed income and having the security of being able to fix problems economically is comforting. I will definitely recommend this company to family and friends.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I requested repair service for the bathroom leaking from Total Home Protection. They asked TN plumbing to my townhouse to repair. Finally, they rejected the service because of the reason of pipe installation improperly. Actually, the townhouse was original built by license contractor and I never change any pipe inside the house. I rent this house to the tenant. I think Total Home Protection tried to make up an excuse and tried to not fix the problem for me. I feel very sorry for this insurance company. If you want to buy insurance from Total Home Protection, you should think carefully that they might not cover the problem for you. I highly do not recommend it. Thanks for reading.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you contacting us with the above referenced complaint. We at Total Home Protection treat each complaint with the utmost respect and use this feedback to better serve our valued customers. Understandably there are two sides to every story and always look for a fair resolution.

The customer requested service for a plumbing issue on 1/9/18 and a technician came out and diagnosed on 1/11/18. The diagnosis was that the upstairs master shower's drain is leaking down into the garage. Someone cut the ABS piping halfway through prior to the tech coming to the home. The technician provided pictures. The customer has the right to get a second opinion and provide a diagnosis for us to review.

This is not a normal wear and tear failure and is excluded from the policy.

We at Total Home Protection have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. If you have any questions, please contact me at 1-800-545-0402

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

The sales representative seemed sincere about the company. I had a really bad experience with my current warranty Select Home Warranty and I am very hesitant to get another warranty. He convinced me and I hope this will all be good.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I've been having a good experience Total Home Protection so far. I had some roof damage recently and it came down and fried a couple of my TVs since the water got down inside the wall. When I called Total Home Protection, they got a hold of technicians in my area. The contractors came, fixed the problem and then they left. I haven't had more trouble since the repair so that was good. However, I wasn't told upfront that Total Home Protection didn't cover electrical and TVs. They called me to come out to put the new sockets, but I didn't get them to give me some new TVs. I had to buy those on my own so I wasn't pleased with that.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I had a different warranty company serving me when Total Home Protection’s pricing caught my eyes. Their monthly and cost co-payments were lower. I switched to them and recently, I filed a claim because the pilot of my stove wasn’t lighting up. I called Total Home and I was able to speak to someone during working hours. Their reps were doing what they were paid to do and customer service was average. The contractor they sent was excellent and I could tell it was a small business. He was very humble, friendly, and explained the situation. Since the repair, the stove has been doing good. When I need Total Home Protection, they are available right away. But I’ve been trying to call them for the past few days and due to the time that they are open, the call transferred to a third party to handle the call volume, but they could only take messages. That is very inconvenient compared to the other company I had that was available 24/7.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

When we didn’t have any heat, I called Total Home Protection and they got somebody out. The tech had to order the part, which took three days, and then come back out. It took two tries but he fixed it and it's still working now. I’ve already recommended them.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018 Excellent service. Very clear in explaining & answering my questions. On a scale of 1-10, Henry ** gets a 12 fr/ me. Best Company & selected, because of

your Rep H ** w/ Total Home Protection. I'm very pleased w/ the platinum plan I now have & the $ amount I've paid.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

My dryer didn't work one weekend and so I called Total Home Protection. Within a couple of hours, I received a claim number. Not too long after that, I got a phone call from the appliance repair and set up an appointment. The contractor they sent was very knowledgeable. He found the problem and let me look at it. However, he was caught off guard because he needed to take a lot of pictures, something he had never done with any other home warranty. Still he didn't have a problem taking pictures once he diagnosed the problem. Luckily, he had one of the actual part that was bad in his truck and repaired it the same day. And so we were very pleased with the service. Since the repair, the dryer has been working well.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

This company is horrible. They lie. They don't have technicians. You have to pay for the work to get done and they are suppose to reimburse you but they don't and I'm paying them 35.00 a month. They are sorry. Don't get this one.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Just enrolled with THP. The representative, Eli **, was excellent in everything... information and coverage. Very thorough and professional. Thank you for the manner that he conducted himself. Am looking forward to using your company for my future home warranty needs.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I cannot express how knowledgeable, helpful and diligent my representative, Eli ** was. He very patiently guided me through the whole process, taking great care to ensure I did not neglect anything I needed. It was very apparent that he actually cared about me as a person and not just a prospective customer. When we were through I was confident I made the right choice and purchased the exact level of coverage that was right for me. Thank you so much Eli for the expert guidance and professionalism. You turned a potentially stressful experience into a pleasant one. If you are an example of what the rest of the good folks at Total Home Protection are like, I am confident I made the very best choice for our family.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Our refrigerator stopped working and I filed a claim with Total Home Protection. I called their toll-free number and the rep I spoke with was polite, positive, and courteous. When the contractor came out to work on the fridge, there was a problem with the fan and the drain. There were ongoing problems and it hasn’t been resolved yet. Even though the part is here, I’m still waiting for the appliance company to come back and finish the work. My mom has been dealing with them and it has been going on for five weeks.

Total Home Protection did their part and it was just a matter of figuring out what was wrong to get to the bottom of the problem. However, I would have been happy to have the problem resolved more quickly instead of them sending a company that is going to try to do one little thing at a time. It has been tragic not having a refrigerator for a long time, especially over the holidays. I would have liked the company that they contract with to be a little more proactive and to come out and respond to the call.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

On December 16th we placed an order to repair our stove; the operator then asked us if there were any other issues that we could submit on this ticket. They sent their contractor out after a week, after we reminded them that no one was sent out. When he came we asked him about the other claims of which he had no idea what we were talking about, we called the warranty company and they said that the operator had placed the claim later on in the week, so we had to pay a separate service charge for the other orders (unfortunately due to their negligence). Now back to the stove; the contractor looked at the stove and immediately told us why did we not call the manufacturer instead of our warranty company. He then went on to look at the stove and told us that the piece is on back order and that it would take about a week to get there. He also told us that in the meantime he would lend us one of his stoves until the piece came in.

We waited a week and he neither had the piece or the stove. We have been back and forth with the Home Warranty company. We called multiple times between "oh there is nothing we can do” to "oh this is horrible we will get to the bottom of this and call you back." We have been tossed around. Now it has been over a month with no part, no service, no stove. Now the stove is getting worse and they don't seem to care. We even asked for a different contractor; they have done nothing to resolve the problem.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

My husband heard about Total Home Protection from one of his co-workers, who said it worked out for him. It's our first home warranty and I did the enrollment process online, which was easy.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Tom was very courteous, professional, and fully informed. Tom was able to answer all my questions and presented every option without being as they say, A Used Car Salesman, I found that very refreshing! I tell would recommend your company to my friends and as my daughter is a realtor, I will recommend she tell her clients about your company.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

So far my experience is only with salesperson who was thorough and friendly. At some point perhaps there will be further review if I ever have a claim. Good value for the plan I selected. Great to have rate for senior citizens too.

Total Home Protection Company Information

www.TotalHomeProtection.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use