3.31/5
Call toll free
(732) 520-4474 Visit Website

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Total Home Protection strives to be the best in the home warranty industry. We have products and services that provide fast and efficient solutions. Total Home Protection promises to go above and beyond to help you get back on your feet. THP offers two plans for you to choose from that work with your budget. Regardless of age, make or model, we will cover repair or replace your covered items. Our technicians are licensed, pre-screened and insured to take care of your replacement or repair. Visit our website today for a free quote!

BOTTOM LINE

Total Home Protection offers competitive home warranty services. The plans are not available in every state, but they offer solid coverage plans to their served areas.

PROS

• Ability to add additional systems and appliances
  • Quality coverage

CONS

• Not available nationwide

Top Total Home Protection Reviews

02/18/2019

I haven't been a customer for long but the amount of time and energy I've saved so far has been unmatched. Total Home Protection makes the repair process as easy as it should be my oven has been fixed to perfection for the cost of just a $45 deductible. I'm very impressed.

03/13/2019

I submitted a claim with them online for my stainless steel dishwasher and they were very nice and they got it within 10 hours. Then the guy called me back, made the appointment and they came the next day. It's now back to normal and doing great.

Total Home Protection plans

Total Home Protection offers two plan variations for home warranty coverage. Both provide coverage for a mix of systems and appliances.

• Gold: Covers 15 items, including systems like plumbing and appliances like dishwashers.
  • Platinum: Covers 20 major home systems and appliances. In addition to the 15 items covered by the Gold plan, the Platinum plan covers more key appliances like refrigerators and systems like heat and AC.
  • Optional coverage: Additional items are available to add on to either plan, including items like pools and spas, water softeners and septic systems or additional appliances and systems like a second refrigerator or A/C unit.

Total Home Protection cost

Total Home Protection advertises plans as low as $1 per day. Because prices may vary by your location, home size and selected plan, the best way to get an accurate cost is to request a quote from Total Home Protection. Luckily, they make this easy with a simple online form.

Total Home Protection coverage

Between their two plans and add-on coverage, a Total Home Protection home warranty provides coverage for most major systems and household appliances.

The Gold plan covers the following systems and appliances:
  • Built-in microwave
  • Plumbing system
  • Trash compactor
  • Whirlpool bath
  • Water heater
The Platinum plan covers the following systems and appliances:
  • Air conditioning system
  • Refrigerator
  • Trash compactor
  • Whirlpool bath
  • Water heater
You can also add on optional coverage to your plan at a per-item fee for the following:
  • Additional A/C system
  • Water softener/li>
  • Well pump

875 Total Home Protection Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: June 15, 2019

I have four properties with Total Home Protection and whenever I have a claim, I just call them. They told me that I could call them any time and that they were available 24/7. So far, I've had three claims that had been done with. One of them involved the refrigerator and it had been fixed. So, that was good. In another property, we had a problem with the air conditioner. The tech came and took a picture, then he showed the company what happened and what needed to be done.

Then he said the motor needed to be replaced but Total Home denied the claim. They said they would not cover it because the unit was in improperly. I had to get a second opinion and when the tech came out, he charged $350. But Total Home denied it again and kept saying the unit was in improperly. Then they said they'd cover my claim for just 200 instead of 350. I was so shocked. They also said that the second opinion was covered but I'd have to wait for 30 days. So, most the time, Total Home would say that the work is not covered but I don’t have that list of what's covered and what's not covered.

The third claim I had was about the water leaking in the toilet. It was all over the floor from the kitchen to the bathroom. I called in on a Friday morning and they said I'd get a response within 24 to 48 hours from the contractor. So even though I filed a claim on a weekday or a weekend, I'd still have to wait that long. The tech they assigned to me was 5 Star Construction and Total Home sent me his name, number, and email. I texted and called him but he didn’t respond.

So, I emailed him in the morning and he emailed me back around 3 o’clock. He said he could come over at that time but my tenant was not available until 8 o’clock in evening. So, I sent them each other's phone numbers and they scheduled the repair. So, at least the tech responded on the same day, Monday. And he said he could come by the end of the day at 5 o’clock, so that was good. Recently, we had an issue with the washing machine and dryer in my property in Georgia, Lawrenceville but Total Home hasn't fixed it yet.

All in all, my experiences with Total Home have been pretty good. But a lot of things surprised me. For instance, they don't respond right away and I have to wait for a long time to get a response from the contractor. I also have to contact them again. If I don’t call and I don’t do anything, my service request doesn’t get a response.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I was looking for someone to handle my home projects or when something breaks down. I went online and started looking. I originally had American Home Shield and they were such a disappointment that I fired them. So I got to looking and called Total. I talked to one of their agents and what he had to say seemed pretty good., so I went ahead and signed up for it.

I had my garage door opener quit on me. I called them and they sent a technician to replace it. He told them the truth and the guy was very nice, very knowledgeable, and he was completely honest. However, it was alarming that while I was waiting for the Total Home Protect rep to decide what they were gonna do, there was so much hesitation on the other end of the line. It made me a little skeptical. I said, what am I signing up for here? They ended up replacing it but only because the installer said this thing was totally dead. Heaven forbid something else happens in a short span. But everything seems to be working fine.

However, I still don't know how everything works with them. I don’t have a policy from them. I don’t know what’s covered and what’s not covered, whether they just pay a percentage and then we pay the rest of an appliance or air conditioning. I couldn’t even remember who it was and then I had to go through bank records to find out who was taking the money every month. Then I finally found out then I called and verified. That was disappointing and I still don’t have the questions answered.

But the gentleman that came out fixed the garage door in a very timely manner and he’s also a plumber on the side. It wasn’t two weeks ago, I had him come out and fix a leak. I paid him directly, so it was a good thing he came out because that type of thing isn’t covered. He was more than fair, very good with what he did, and I would like to think that whoever Total Protect all send out in the future should there be an issue is as good as this guy was.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you for selecting Total Home Protection for all your home warranty needs. We know your time is valuable so we take feedback very seriously. Your feedback allows us to improve our business and promote the level of service expected from a trusted industry leader. Total Home Protection strives to be a top rated home warranty provider. We have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. We sincerely thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service during normal business hours at 1-800-545-0402.

Original review: June 3, 2019

I used Total Home Protection once and it was good. My garbage disposal was leaking under the sink. I called on a Sunday and it went to a voicemail. I kinda got the leak under control and put a pan underneath the sink so it wasn’t like an emergency. I called the next day, Monday, and I submitted the claim with someone. They said someone would email me within 48 hours, but the next day, a plumber called me. He was nice. He came a little earlier than expected ‘cause he had a cancellation so he called me and asked if I’d be home, and I was. He replaced it with the same thing that was there, a Badger 5 disposal, and he was here about half an hour. He cleaned everything up and took the old disposal out. I paid him the $45 and he gave me a card. He said if I had any problems, to feel free to call him back. He did a great job. The garbage disposal is not leaking anymore so I’m happy.

I’m glad I got Total Home Protection. My neighbor actually has it, too. Something happened to her air conditioning system and the guy came out. It turned out to be something really simple, but she was still happy anyway ‘cause paying $45 is better than paying $80 or $150. The only problem I had with the company, overall, was I had trouble setting up my payment date and they kept taking the payment out of my account on the wrong date. We fixed those, but it took a couple of months.

Total Home Protection response

Original review: April 23, 2019

When I purchased my home, the home warranty was expiring. Total Home Protection reached out to me and I have their policy now. In a recent claim, I called them for the sensor on the garage door. The reps gave me the information that was very informative. They explained thoroughly that if it was a sensor, it is not covered. But if the part has failed, then it is covered. I was very well-informed so it was great. Then Total Home Protection sent a top-notch contractor. They responded quickly and didn't have to run after parts. They had them all on their truck. The serviceman who fixed everything went above and beyond. He even serviced my garage door, did a greasing of the springs, and checked all the bolts. It was very excellent.

Normally, I hit the button when I’m leaving and then I hit the button when I’ve already backed out in the garage and think that the garage door is going down and that I would not worry about it. I had to start waiting to make sure if the door went halfway down, if it is gonna go all the way, or is it gonna go back up. I lost the confidence that it would close. Each time I go home and open the garage, it wouldn't work. And when I get ready to leave, it wouldn't close. I was very frustrated. But they fixed it and my frustration level is zero now. I have had good experience with Total Home Protection so far. I got the three-year policy and I hope they continue their services as expected.

Total Home Protection response

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

The home warranty that I had was ripping me off. They wanted me to pay $60 and $100 for every home visit. It didn’t matter if the techs fix the problem or not, they still were trying to charge me $100. So, I called around like every home warranty that came up. When I came to Total Home Warranty, it seemed they were better for me to benefit from because the price list is no more than 50 bucks a month. Also, when they make a home visit, it’s $45, and I pay after they fix my issue. In addition, if they have to order parts, you don’t pay them. When they order the part, they have to send it to the insurance, which is the home warranty. Our home warranty then approves it and then they call me when they get the part in.

Recently, my dryer stopped working. I had it for about four years and it never gave any issues. It’s just that I had noticed that my clothes weren’t getting dry and I didn’t know what the issue was. Once I called Total Home Warranty, they said that they will come out to fix it. It wasn't a long wait. When I submitted a claim, I gave my address, name. Sometimes, they may ask for my email address and phone number that's associated with the account. They would also ask a couple of questions like has the appliance been repaired or was there ever any issues with it.

The contractor they sent out was very resourceful. He let me know that they will call when they get the part. Any questions I had, he was answering them. In fact, I was asking him what's the first thing that goes or what's the main thing that people have issues with. He was giving me what they experienced. It wasn't like he was a nonchalant tech that came out. He got straight to the problem, but he was educating me as well.

As he was taking my dryer apart, he found out what the problem was. He put it semi back together so he didn’t have to take it all the way apart. They got the part in early and they wanted to come in early and fix it, but I wasn’t home. Still, I was very satisfied with my experience with Total Home Warranty. Since the repair, the dryer has been working better. I’m getting my money’s worth because some home warranties have a limited call. Total Home has unlimited calls. If a neighbor would ask about them, I would seriously recommend them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

Original review: July 9, 2019

I'm thinking last Nov. I decided to purchase a home warranty, went online & decided to go with this Co. Worst decision I could have ever made, first I paid the cost up front, to save a few bucks, the cost (1080.00) was for 2 & half years which you could cancel at any time & receive a refund. We had a leaking kitchen faucet. Called the # they gave me. Because it was the weekend we waited 7 days - unbelievable right? That's not the best. They sent 2 plumbers. 1 couldn't speak English well enough, so the other had to translate to English. O.K. This is where it gets real good. They’re looking at the pull-out sprayer to remedy the problem.

Now I'm not a plumber by no means but even I know the leak is NOT at sprayer end. They call their boss. He says just go to the Home Depot & replace the faucet. In the meantime the boss calls to tell me the Ins. plan will not cover the leaking faucet, it has to BROKE. I very politely told them to take a hike. Oh, did I mention they want the $45.00 copay before they turn a wrench! Later in the day after I calmed down I purchased the stem to correct the problem $12.96. Next, I called & cancelled the contract? All kinds of, “We’re sorry. We can make it up.” NO WAY BUD.

Original review: July 8, 2019

I was delighted to speak to a friendly salesman, Stanley **. He helped me save hundreds of dollars with more coverage than my warranty I have that soon I will be cancelling. Highly recommend calling Stanley ** and let him know Carol ** sent you. Thanks so much Stanley for the excellent service and trying to get the best savings for me and giving me a secure feeling that if something goes wrong it will be taken care of.

Original review: July 5, 2019

Have been with this provider Total Home Protection (THP) for 1 year. We are paying 35$ monthly bill, we are paying $45 for each visit, however none of the problem gets resolved. Every time they come up with a clause against the claim saying this or that part is not covered. Mechanical not covered in some cases, in some other case electrical is not covered. Or maintenance is not done properly. Hence they will not pay.

Off late technicians visiting us against claims have started complaining against Total Home Protection for malpractice and now I'm figuring out that they are true. My AC system Thermostats are not working, the technician came once to check and went back. He then came in for the second time to check the attic and said some of the electrical circuits are malfunctioning as a reason the thermostat is not on and not cooling.

The technician then submitted his report and I found this morning the case has been re-assigned to another appliances team. I am guessing the original report from the earlier technician was not of liking to THP so now they are changing team so that they don't have to pay anything (not own up their responsibility) and can say that it's due homeowners x,y, z fault. This pattern is now absolutely common in the claims I am submitting. The person who came to fix the garage door, said he had no clue why it was not covered. I have complained a few times calling customer service but their attitude is absolutely pathetic. They just don't care as they got the money upfront. Horrible horrible way of running business. Not sure how many customer they are duping this way. I am getting off from them and will strongly caution against using them.

Original review: July 5, 2019

My, experience with your rep. Tracey was straightforward and he was very professional and very experienced at his job. Very knowledgeable which led me to buy this service in a very timely matter and I felt very comfortable and have great home protection.

Original review: July 3, 2019

Donald was very knowlegeable of the product and he strived to help Marshall and I to get the best coverage and cost for our situation, thank you. We have a feeling of total relief having sufficient coverage in case of need.

Original review: July 3, 2019

Devinee ** called me yesterday. She explained the warranty with Total Home Protection. I asked her if she would call me back today. She called several times - persistent. Devinee returned her call today to me. She is a TOP Customer Service Agent. Her dedication to your company is a reflection of a great company.. She helped me by offering a lower monthly payment plan. I signed up with Total Home Protection because of Devinee and her knowledge of the covered plan. She was thorough and thoughtful. Excellent employee and dedication. New Policy #**.

Victoria & Will

Original review: July 3, 2019

My air conditioner went out and I call to get a tech out, was told it would take up to 48 hours. Called back and was told there was no HVAC company in my area, that I could use anyone. Called to see how long it would take to get authorization for service and was told it would be immediate. Got a tech out, got quote and tech called for approval. Approval was not given. We are under a heat advisory in my area. I have small babies in my home and me and my son suffer from breathing conditions. We are getting sicker while waiting on approval. Not happy with company at all.

Original review: July 1, 2019

Sadly to report bought policy for 2019 with Total Home Protection, First, call 6/25th for Air conditioner not working. Have an 84 yr old husband with a bad heart. Never received an email for a company to come to the house. They told me very busy and to wait for an email or call someone on my own and pay out of pocket and they will reverse the monies. It was Friday 6/28th 9:00 pm when we got service, because of a compassionate co. who fixed our problem last year through the Old Republic. She squeezed us in (Air Care of Cent Fl.) at 407-4797197. THEY resolved the problem.

Today is Monday, July 1st and Total Home still has not sent me an email with the claim number in since 25th. Customer service could not give me any Supervisor or manager to speak to referencing my case. My husband almost ended up hospitalized, as a result. They couldn't find someone and NEVER called us back saying anything or getting us service!! They took my monies of $485.00 and sold me a sales talk and when needed no service. As a senior citizen, we were taken advantage of and when service needed didn't come through. Sincerely, Donna **/Winter Springs, Florida

Original review: June 27, 2019

Reached out to the customer service to have them have someone come out and see what has caused our AC to suddenly stop. The woman was rude and very unprofessional. Informed her we have an elderly person in the home and need someone ASAP. Her response, "We are not an emergency service. You have to wait 24-48 hours." No consideration for our elderly family member. I wish I could go into her home and turn off her AC in 90 degree weather. Horrible customer service. When this contract ends we will not be using them EVER again.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 24, 2019

Hot water heater was not working. Repair contractor fixed problem after several days "looking for parts" and missed several promised appointments. After a week without hot water, the repair was made, and 2 days later the same problem happened. Called the contractor approved by Total Home Protection on 5 separate occasions, and each time he did not come when promised. He claims that he tried to come, but no one was home to tell the gate that he could come in. My mother, the homeowner is 102 years old and does not go out. Neither she, nor her aide claims to have gotten a call from the gate.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you contacting us with the above referenced review. We at Total Home Protection treat each review with the utmost respect and use this feedback to better serve our valued customers. Understandably there are two sides to every story and always look for a fair resolution between all parties.

The consumer placed a claim for the water heater on 6/11/2019 stating there was no hot water coming from it. The vendor reported the failure was the upper and lower thermostats have shorted out and needed to be replaced. The claim was approved and the vendor was given authorization to complete the repair.

On 6/24/2019, the consumer called and stated the issue was happening again. We placed a recall to the same vendor to come back out and reassess the problem at hand. Due to scheduling conflicts between the consumer and vendor, the consumer decided to secure a vendor using the reimbursement process. The consumer’s vendor reported the failure was the water heater was rotted out and leaking from the tank itself. Per our policy, this failure is excluded from coverage. Please see the referenced section of the policy below:

G. Water Heater

COVERED: All components and parts for gas and/or electric hot water heaters, including circulating pumps, except:

NOT COVERED: Auxiliary and secondary holding/storage tanks; main, holding or storage tanks; expansion tanks; base pans; drain pans and drain lines; line restrictions; pressure reducing valve; sediment build-up; mineral and/or calcium build-up; rust and corrosion; combustion shutdown; color or purity of water; flues; vent pipes/lines; insulation and insulation blankets; heat recovery units; tankless hot water heaters; low boy and/or squat water heaters; solar water heaters including all solar components and parts; any noise without a related mechanical failure; racks; straps; timers; energy management systems; commercial grade equipment and units exceeding 75 gallons. We will pay no more than $500 per contract term for access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement.

All claims have been properly serviced in accordance with the Service Agreement - all contracts have inclusions as well as exclusions. We are committed to providing a positive customer experience and doing the right thing for all our customers, contractors, employees, and our company.

In an effort to provide good customer service, we offered to send $200.00 towards the non-covered claim as a gesture of good faith which the consumer accepted.

We at Total Home Protection have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. If you have any further questions, please contact us at 1-800-545-0402.

www.totalhomeprotection.com

Original review: June 23, 2019

The representative was very knowledgeable and helpful. He did an outstanding job. We went over every items in detail and if I had any questions about any particular item he explained it to me. I end up taking the platinum plan over a period of six years. Will it give me more flexibility and peace of mind. I’m going to do some research about my well water with the water company to see if I have a well pump at a later time. I didn’t know about the offer for the roof until the representative explained it to me.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: June 22, 2019

I was told by Robert ** I would get policy info right away on line. I haven't gotten anything yet. The way this usually works is I give you money you give me product, service etc. I need contact numbers for service or something please.

Total Home Protection response

Please be advised we have sent another copy of the policy to the email address on file, as well as mailed out a paper copy to the coverage address. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service during normal business hours at 1-800-545-0402.

Original review: June 22, 2019

I filed a claim with Total Home Protection because my oven won’t turn on. The broil will go on, but the oven won’t. Filing a claim with them over the phone was very easy and very nice. The rep I spoke with was okay. They were fine and were quick. Whatever they claim to do, they immediately did. So, they were pleasant and very nice. And the person who came to fix it was just fantastic. He was professional. He exactly knew what to do and what was wrong with it. He ordered it, and as soon as he came back, people called, and it was great. The oven is working fine now.

Original review: June 21, 2019

Mr. ** answered all of my questions and offered a plan best for me. My sister (Mrs. Ron **) Carroll ** referred me to Total Protection. Her address is Birchwood, TN. I hope you can give her an additional month service.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I made my first claim with Total Home Protection and that went very smoothly. It was for my dishwasher that wasn't coursing out water. It sounded like it was running but there wasn’t any water being pushed up into the dishwasher, so it wasn’t washing the dishes. I was very pleased with the gentleman who came out. He was knowledgeable and courteous. He pretty much knew what the problem was right away and it didn’t take long for him to fix the dishwasher. I was very pleased with my first transaction.

Original review: June 20, 2019

New customer with Total Home Protection. I will have no problems as long as my questions were answered truly. I wanted my total home covered including the heat/air unit. Per our conversation unit is covered including freon and any leaks, fan motor, capacitor and such. Tracy was very pleasant to talk with.

Original review: June 20, 2019

The representative was helpful and efficient. He was very knowledgeable, and gave me several plan options. I also got added coverage to this new plan. I also got a way better deal thru Total Home Protection than continuing with the other company. I expect to be a very happy customer.

Original review: June 20, 2019

I’ve been with Total Home Protection over the years. Recently, the water in the dishwasher didn't drain out and I called in a claim. Their process was okay and when the tech came out, he looked at it and figured out what the problem was. But the work is not yet complete and the person that the company sent out didn’t finish the job. He had to get a part and told me he was gonna be back in touch with Total Home about something. But that was about two weeks ago. There was kind of a communication lapse here and I’m still in the same position I was in. I need to call Total Home back today about it.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I had a garbage disposal problem. It was leaking as well as not working. Total Home sent one guy out and he didn't change it out. He claimed that he couldn't take it out or something. Then it started having a problem again and it still wouldn't work. But the second guy that came out went ahead and changed it. He worked, did a good job, and was very courteous. He also told me to give him a call if I had any issues and gave me a cellphone number. It was good when he took care of the issue and I appreciate that he did that. Other than that, when I first submitted the claim, it was a couple of days or so before somebody finally got to me. So, it had been a little bit slow getting a feedback from Total Home, but otherwise, I had a pretty good experience with the second guy that they sent out. I've also had no issues so far and I'd recommend Total Home.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I am in the process of having my light switch repaired. Making a claim was easy. And the technician they contracted with came straight away. Unfortunately, that same electrician did not open up the switch to make an assessment of what was going on, and stated that it was a wiring issue. It would be $186 out of pocket. I immediately called Total Home Protection with no call back for 3 days! Meanwhile I had a 2nd opinion from a well known electrician company, who found it was just a light switch issue. It cost me $120 out of pocket. This would've been covered by the Total Home protection.

Unfortunately Ashley **, case manager, was very rude to me on the phone and did not want to document what had happened. She said there is no supervisor and no manager I could talk to. And I did not get a call back from Karon **, another case manager for 3 days! At the end- no one documented my situation, only that it is a "wiring issue". When I keep telling them it’s not. Horrible experience. I wish I would've known this prior to buying 1 year package. Please do not go with this company if you want to keep your sanity.

Total Home Protection response

The consumer placed a claim for the electrical system on 6/12/2019 stating 2 hallway switches were not working. The vendor reported that the failure was with the wiring inside the wall had failed and a wire trace was needed. Per our policy, this type of testing is excluded from coverage. Please see the referenced section of the policy below:

I.Electrical System

COVERED: All components and parts, except:

NOT COVERED: Bathroom exhaust fans; direct current (DC) wiring and systems; exterior wiring and components (except main panels mounted to exterior wall); any wiring or components servicing a detached structure; fire, carbon monoxide alarm and/or detection systems; batteries; intercom or speaker systems; doorbells; multi-media systems; lighting fixtures; load control devices; low voltage systems including wiring and relays; service entrance cables; telephone systems; telephone wiring; cable wiring; alarm and/or security systems and wiring; timers; touch pad assemblies; transmitters and remotes; utility meter base pans; solar power systems and panels; all solar components and parts; energy management systems; commercial grade equipment; auxiliary or sub-panels; broken and/or severed wires; rerunning of new wiring for broken wires; wire tracing; central vacuum systems. Failures and conditions caused by inadequate wiring capacity, circuit overload, power failure/shortage or surge, and corrosion are not covered. We will pay no more than $500 per contract term for access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement.

The consumer then advised she will be getting a second opinion from a vendor on her won, who then reported the issue was with a 4-way switch that was broken and needed to be replaced. We then offered to reimburse the consumer the full amount paid to her vendor, which was accepted.

Original review: June 18, 2019

The toilet was making some noise and I waited a couple of weeks to see if it was gonna go away. But it didn’t, so I called Total Home Protection and made a claim. It was pretty simple and the call was handled efficiently. I spent a very minimal amount of time on the phone with them. Then someone got back in touch with me and a service person came out. He was a nice guy. He showed me what was going on, explained what needed to be done, and took care of the problem. We've had no problems since and the toilet has been performing very well.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 17, 2019

Sat, 6/15, I called to place a new claim on my AC. I thought I was talking to your customer service department and got a claim #**. I was told I would receive an email with the name of the vendor to contact for an apt. It Is now Mon, 6/17, and I have yet to receive that email. I wanted to contact the vendor 1st thing as the AC needs to be fixed. I thought this service was a 24/7 company and I have just found out It Is not. Not good! I am in a wheel chair so being without my AC Is not a lot of fun In the Texas heat. The only saving grace is we are having storms here so the temp. is not the usual Texas heat.

I have called 3 times this morning to talk to someone and received the automatic recording stating office hours were 9 - 7 est. Well, It was after 9 am EST when I made all 3 calls. Finally, I went back to the original call option #3 and found out that it was just the answering service and they only gave out claim numbers. I asked to be transferred back to the main number so I could talk to a real agent and was told your system was down and to call back in 30 mins.

I finally called the person I took out my warranty with and he was having trouble transferring me to someone. Now I am sitting here waiting so thought this would be a good time to give my feedback. I would rate the service a 0 and would not recommend y'all to anyone due to this process I have just gone through on my 1st claim.

If this is true “Total Home Protection strives to be a top-rated home warranty provider. Help us succeed with your positive review!” it has not happened and I cannot give a positive review. I am now waiting to hear from someone so I can get this issue with my AC resolved. I started this process at 8:04 am CST and it is now 9:02 am so I have been waiting for an hour to talk to someone.

Total Home Protection response

When placing a claim, the policy informs consumers that service requests are accepted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. During that time, it is also advised that it may take up to 2 days to secure a vendor when a claim is placed during the weekday, and up to 4 days to secure a vendor when placed on the weekend. Please see the referenced section of the policy below:

III. REQUESTING SERVICE – CALL (800) 545-0402

B. Upon request for service under normal circumstances, we will contact an authorized Service Contractor within two (2) days during normal business hours and four (4) days on weekends and holidays after you request service. The authorized Service Contractor will contact you to schedule a mutually convenient appointment during normal business hours. We will determine what repairs constitute an emergency and will make reasonable efforts to expedite emergency service. We will accept your request to expedite scheduling of non-emergency service only when a Service Contractor is available. If the Service Contractor agrees to expedite scheduling of a non-emergency service request, you may be required to pay an additional fee.

The consumer placed a claim for the air conditioner on 6/15/2019 stating the unit was leaking water. Being that 6/15/2019 was a Saturday, we informed the consumer on Monday, 6/17/2019, that water leaks on the air conditioner are listed as an exclusion on the policy. Please see the referenced section of the policy below:

V. COVERAGE

A.Air Conditioning System (Platinum Plan Only)

Note: Coverage available on Air Conditioning units up to a 5-ton capacity, and for residential use only.We will pay up to $10 per pound per occurrence for refrigerant. You are responsible for payment of any costs in excess of $10 per pound.

COVERED: Mechanical parts and components of two (2) ducted electric central air conditioning systems. All components and parts for units below 13 SEER and/or R-22 equipment, and when we are unable to facilitate repair and/or replacement of failed covered equipment at the current SEER rating or with R-22 equipment, repair and/or replacement will be performed with 13 SEER/R410A equipment and/or 7.7 HSPF or higher compliant, except:

NOT COVERED: Filters; condenser casings; registers and grills; water towers; humidifiers; chillers; electronic air cleaners; window units; non-ducted wall units; mini-split wall units; gas air conditioning systems; water evaporative coolers; swamp coolers; condensate pumps; thermal expansion valves; all exterior condensing, cooling and pump pads; roof mounts, jacks, stands or supports; cost for crane rentals; electronic, computerized, and manual systems management and zone controllers; commercial grade equipment; refrigerant conversion; leak detections; water leaks; drain line stoppages or drain pans; maintenance; noise without a related mechanical failure; improperly sized units; air conditioning with mismatched condensing unit and evaporative coil per manufacturer specifications; improper use of metering devices (i.e. thermal expansion valves). We are not responsible for the costs associated with matching dimensions, brand or color made. We will not pay for any modifications or upgrades necessitated by the repair of existing equipment or the installation of new equipment.

Once informed of this information, the consumer advised the unit was not working at all. We then placed another claim for the air conditioner on 6/17/2019, this time advising the unit was not turning on. The vendor, which was assigned to the claim on 6/18/2019, reported the failure was there was a low voltage short within the unit. The claim was approved and authorization was given to the vendor to complete the repair.

In an effort to provide good customer service, a free service charge fee has been added to the policy which will be applied to a future placed claim.

Original review: June 14, 2019

TOTALLY FAKE & RIDICULOUS!!! Absolutely pathetic & bad customer service. The advertisements are all FAKE. They don't cover anything. My main Air Conditioning unit went bad. I have been running around chasing them, calling them 4-5 times a day & finally they rejected the claim stating that reason as rust. The unit has never been opened & the leak has been developed in the EVAP coil due to regular wear & tear. Still the warranty company denied the claim that this is due to rust. How would someone introduce rust in a 7 year old system?

Their technician sent a feedback initially which caused the claim to be rejected. I challenged & had a 2nd inspection at my cost & even after hearing from the technician that the leak was caused due to normal regular wear & tear & not rust, still they denied the claim. Please do yourself a favor by saving your money as they don't end up covering anything. This is my 3rd attempt on the claim (Gas Water Heater/Microwave) & all got denied so far. 20+ days, & additional $100 out of my pocket for inspections, the issue is still open to be fixed by myself. Save your money & stay away from Total Home Protection!!!

Total Home Protection response

The consumer placed a claim for an Air Conditioner not working on 5/29/2019. The vendor reported there was no refrigerant in the system. They reported they found an leak in the evaporator coil cap tube joint which was rusted. Failures from rust/corrosion are non- covered failures. Please see the referenced section of the policy below;

VII. GENERAL LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY

D. This Agreement covers only repairs and/or replacements due to mechanical failure attributable to ordinary wear and tear. Accordingly, the Agreement does not cover failures which may result from other causes, such as without limitation abuse; misuse and/or neglect; lack of maintenance; rust and/or corrosion; noise without a related mechanical failure; chemical or sedimentary build up; failures due to calcium build-up; lightning strikes; missing parts; animal, pet and/or pest damage; power failure; power surge; fire; casualty; water damage; acts of God; structural and/or property damage; flood; smoke; earthquake; freeze damage; accidents; war; acts of terrorism; nuclear explosion, reaction, radiation or radioactive contamination; insurrection; riots; vandalism; or intentional destruction of property. This Agreement does not cover mechanical failures resulting directly or indirectly from or caused by mold, mildew, mycotoxins, fungus, bacteria, virus, condensation, and/or wet or dry rot regardless of the source, origin, or location and any other cause or event contributing concurrently or in any sequence to the mechanical failure. We are not responsible for drywall or rough finish repairs on not covered claims.

Original review: June 14, 2019

After waiting almost two months my claim still has not been resolved. I filed in April and here we are in June and I'm waiting for them to resolve my claim. I have been a customer for over 15 years and I have never had this kind of problems.

Total Home Protection response

Please be advised that we have no record in our system for this consumer being one of our customers. This review may have been intended for Total Protect and not Total Home Protection. We are not affiliated with Total Protect/Cross Country/HMS.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I had an issue with my microwave that's on the wall above the stove and Total Home sent Sears to fix it. Sears said they couldn't fix it and that I would have to get a new microwave. But Total Home wanted to give me $120 for a microwave that’s built in. That’s not gonna pay for it and the installation. Plus, I paid my $60 service fee. So, the home warranty says either they fix it or replace it. But $120 does not replace my microwave. Aside from that, it’s gonna take 30 days for them to send me $120. So now, I’ve got to buy a new microwave and get it installed and pay whatever I have to pay.

Also, it took a month and three visits for Sears to come for this claim, so that means I missed work and they cost me. The first time that Sears came, they said they had to order pieces. And when the pieces came, it was another week or two before I could get an appointment. Then they figured that that was the wrong diagnostic, so they said they gotta get some other pieces. That took another two weeks. Then yesterday, they came, said that it was the motherboard, and that they couldn't do this and that. All in all, my experience was horrible and I don’t understand why I got a home warranty.

Total Home Protection response

The consumer placed a claim for the built-in microwave on 5/14/2019 stating it was not heating properly. The vendor reported the failure was the control board shorted out and needed to be replaced along with the air lock switch, a shorted out door switch, and the interlock switch and latch. Based on the failures reported, it was determined that in order to provide a long term solution to future potential issues with the unit, we determined the best course of action was to provide the consumer with funds to put towards the purchase of a new unit. Please see the referenced section of the policy below:

VII. GENERAL LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY

V. We reserve the right to offer cash back in lieu of repair or replacement in the amount of our actual cost, which at times may be less than retail, to repair or replace any covered system, component or appliance. In the event a covered system or appliance is deemed irreparable or it is not cost effective to repair, we may replace the system or appliance with a system or appliance of like capacity, the price of which shall not exceed the depreciated value of the system or appliance being replaced. THP is not responsible for installation. The cash settlement shall be in an amount not to exceed the depreciated value of the component, system, or appliance being replaced. In the event you elect to use the cash back funds to repair rather than replace your system or appliance, said system or appliance will no longer be covered by THP.

Total Home Protection’s coverage exclusions

In the Total Home Protection contract they provide a full list of coverage exclusions. Pre-existing conditions are not covered, which is standard to most home warranty contracts. Additionally, there may be parts or components of covered items that are excluded from coverage. For example, while Air Conditioning Systems are covered under the Platinum plan, replacement filters for those systems are not provided as part of that coverage. With appliances, you’ll often see items like knobs, dials, shelving and any removable accessories excluded from coverage as well.

In the event that a claim is denied due to a coverage exclusion, you have a right to get a second opinion from another service provider.

Total Home Protection’s coverage limits

Total Home Protection places coverage limits on certain items. This is the maximum dollar amount they will pay out per contract term for specific items. If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds this amount, you would be responsible for covering the remainder of the cost yourself.

Total Home Protection’s per contract term cap is $1,500 for “access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement” of all covered items. In addition, they have set coverage limits per item in certain areas.

ItemTotal Home Protection coverage limit
Refrigerant$10 per pound
Lawn sprinkler systems, refrigerator ice maker, septic tank pumping$200 per term
Ceiling and exhaust fans$400 per term
Ductwork, electrical system, limited roof leak, plumbing system and stoppages, pools and spas, septic system, sump pump, water heater, water softener, whirlpool bathtubs$500 per term

If a plumbing claim requires a service provider to break through walls or ceilings to make the repair, Total Home Protect will also cover up to $500 per claim to get the wall or ceiling back to a rough finish by hanging or patching drywall.

How to request service from Total Home Protection

You can file a claim 24/7 online or by calling the Total Home Protection claims department toll-free.

1. Submit your claim to Total Home Protection.
  2. Total Home Protection assigns one of their approved service providers to your case within two business days (four on weekends and holidays).
  3. The service provider will contact you to schedule your appointment.
  4. You will pay your trade service call fee (this will be specified in your contract, typically $60).

Total Home Protection guarantees labor for 30 days and parts for 90 days. Should a failure occur due to the labor provided on your repair within 30 days, Total Home Protection will send another technician out to fix the problem at no additional cost to you.

Total Home Protection FAQ

What states does Total Home Protection cover?
Total Home Protection covers 39 states. At this time, coverage is not available in California, Iowa, Maine, Massachusettes, Nevada, New York, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington or Wyoming.
Is there a limit on the number of claims?
There is no limit on the number of claims you can make during your contract term. However, there may be dollar limits and caps on covered items per contract term.
How do I cancel Total Home Protection?
If you cancel within 30 days of ordering, you will receive a full refund. Cancellation after 30 days will receive a pro-rated refund for the remainder of the contract and a $50 cancellation fee.
What happens if a covered item cannot be repaired?
If an item cannot be repaired, a replacement will be provided. If the cost of a replacement exceeds your coverage limit cap, Total Home Protection may provide a cash payout instead.

Is Total Home Protection worth it?

Total Home Protection provides plenty of coverage for homeowners. With monthly costs in line with the industry average and a below-average service call fee, we think Total Home Protection is worth it for homeowners looking for extra protection for their appliances and systems. A warranty can pay for itself with one repair.

Total Home Protection Company Information