2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties
Accredited Partner

Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.88/5

Total Home Protection strives to be the best in the home warranty industry. We have products and services that provide fast and efficient solutions. Total Home Protection promises to go above and beyond to help you get back on your feet. THP offers two plans for you to choose from that work with your budget. Regardless of age, make or model, we will cover repair or replace your covered items. Our technicians are licensed, pre-screened and insured to take care of your replacement or repair. Visit our website today for a free quote!

BOTTOM LINE

Total Home Protection offers competitive home warranty services. The plans are not available in every state, but they offer solid coverage plans to their served areas.

PROS

• Ability to add additional systems and appliances
  • Quality coverage

CONS

• Not available nationwide

Top Total Home Protection Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

I haven't been a customer for long but the amount of time and energy I've saved so far has been unmatched. Total Home Protection makes the repair process as easy as it should be my oven has been fixed to perfection for the cost of just a $45 deductible. I'm very impressed.

I submitted a claim with them online for my stainless steel dishwasher and they were very nice and they got it within 10 hours. Then the guy called me back, made the appointment and they came the next day. It's now back to normal and doing great.

Total Home Protection Get a Quote

Total Home Protection plans

Total Home Protection offers two plan variations for home warranty coverage. Both provide coverage for a mix of systems and appliances.

• Gold: Covers 15 items, including systems like plumbing and appliances like dishwashers.
  • Platinum: Covers 20 major home systems and appliances. In addition to the 15 items covered by the Gold plan, the Platinum plan covers more key appliances like refrigerators and systems like heat and AC.
  • Optional coverage: Additional items are available to add on to either plan, including items like pools and spas, water softeners and septic systems or additional appliances and systems like a second refrigerator or A/C unit.

Total Home Protection cost

Total Home Protection advertises plans as low as $1 per day. Because prices may vary by your location, home size and selected plan, the best way to get an accurate cost is to request a quote from Total Home Protection. Luckily, they make this easy with a simple online form.

Total Home Protection coverage

Between their two plans and add-on coverage, a Total Home Protection home warranty provides coverage for most major systems and household appliances.

Gold plan
The Gold plan covers the following systems and appliances:
  • Built-in microwave
  • Trash compactor
  • Whirlpool bath
  • Water heater
Platinum plan
The Platinum plan covers the following systems and appliances:
  • Air conditioning system
  • Trash compactor
  • Whirlpool bath
  • Water heater
Optional coverage
You can also add optional coverage to your plan at a per-item fee for the following:
  • Additional A/C system
  • Stand-alone freezer
  • Water softener
  • Well pump

Total Home Protection’s coverage exclusions

In the Total Home Protection contract they provide a full list of coverage exclusions. Pre-existing conditions are not covered, which is standard to most home warranty contracts. Additionally, there may be parts or components of covered items that are excluded from coverage. For example, while Air Conditioning Systems are covered under the Platinum plan, replacement filters for those systems are not provided as part of that coverage. With appliances, you’ll often see items like knobs, dials, shelving and any removable accessories excluded from coverage as well.

In the event that a claim is denied due to a coverage exclusion, you have a right to get a second opinion from another service provider.

Total Home Protection’s coverage limits

Total Home Protection places coverage limits on certain items. This is the maximum dollar amount they will pay out per contract term for specific items. If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds this amount, you would be responsible for covering the remainder of the cost yourself.

Total Home Protection’s per contract term cap is $1,500 for “access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement” of all covered items. In addition, they have set coverage limits per item in certain areas.

ItemTotal Home Protection coverage limit
Refrigerant$10 per pound
Lawn sprinkler systems, refrigerator ice maker, septic tank pumping$200 per term
Ceiling and exhaust fans$400 per term
Ductwork, electrical system, limited roof leak, plumbing system and stoppages, pools and spas, septic system, sump pump, water heater, water softener, whirlpool bathtubs$500 per term

If a plumbing claim requires a service provider to break through walls or ceilings to make the repair, Total Home Protect will also cover up to $500 per claim to get the wall or ceiling back to a rough finish by hanging or patching drywall.

How to request service from Total Home Protection

You can file a claim 24/7 online or by calling the Total Home Protection claims department toll-free.

1. Submit your claim to Total Home Protection.
  2. Total Home Protection assigns one of their approved service providers to your case within two business days (four on weekends and holidays).
  3. The service provider will contact you to schedule your appointment.
  4. You will pay your trade service call fee (this will be specified in your contract, typically $60).

Total Home Protection guarantees labor for 30 days and parts for 90 days. Should a failure occur due to the labor provided on your repair within 30 days, Total Home Protection will send another technician out to fix the problem at no additional cost to you.

Total Home Protection FAQ

What states does Total Home Protection cover?
Total Home Protection covers 39 states. At this time, coverage is not available in California, Iowa, Maine, Massachusettes, Nevada, New York, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington or Wyoming.
Is there a limit on the number of claims?
There is no limit on the number of claims you can make during your contract term. However, there may be dollar limits and caps on covered items per contract term.
How do I cancel Total Home Protection?
If you cancel within 30 days of ordering, you will receive a full refund. Cancellation after 30 days will receive a pro-rated refund for the remainder of the contract and a $50 cancellation fee.
What happens if a covered item cannot be repaired?
If an item cannot be repaired, a replacement will be provided. If the cost of a replacement exceeds your coverage limit cap, Total Home Protection may provide a cash payout instead.

Is Total Home Protection worth it?

Total Home Protection provides plenty of coverage for homeowners. With monthly costs in line with the industry average and a below-average service call fee, we think Total Home Protection is worth it for homeowners looking for extra protection for their appliances and systems. A warranty can pay for itself with one repair.

Total Home Protection Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

I've been in my property since 2001 and I've never had a contract on it. I had multiple things break and stuff over time, and over the years I had friends say that I should get a warranty thing where they would come and fix your appliances if something went wrong. So last year, I redid my kitchen and upgraded my appliances. Because of that, I thought that it would be a great time to get the warranty. A friend referred me to Total Home Protection, then I Googled and called them. So far, my experience with them has been great.

Recently, I submitted a claim because I felt that my AC was just running but I came to find out that there was nothing wrong with my AC unit. It was crazy and weird. My thermostat was just turned on fan and I didn't even notice it. So, I paid Total Home 65 bucks to tell me that. The guy looked at stuff outside and found that I had it turned on fan, so that was why it was consistently running. I submitted this claim at the beginning of us working from home within the pandemic thing and at first, I had to find the email of my original agreement because I didn't even have a paper printout of it. So I went back to that email and it had a number on it, then I called that number and submitted the claim that way. I was told that someone should contact me within a certain time frame then the guy came out. He stayed outside because of what was going on with COVID and there wasn't a lot of contact between him and me. He just did his job and left.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you for selecting Total Home Protection for all your home warranty needs. We know your time is valuable so we take feedback very seriously. Your feedback allows us to improve our business and promote the level of service expected from a trusted industry leader. Total Home Protection strives to be a top rated home warranty provider. We have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. We sincerely thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service during normal business hours at 1-800-545-0402.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

So far, Total Home Protection seems to be okay. One thing that I did have an issue with was when I submitted a claim for my central air. I wasn't able to go onto the website, it was something weird because the website wasn't working where I couldn't put the request in. I had to call and it was almost impossible, to get somebody on the phone. On the phone, it was telling you to go online to put in the request. Then when I finally got somebody on the phone, I said, "Well, what is the deal why you can't put in the request online? Like you guys are asking us to do." But then she said something was wrong with the website and she was gonna check into it. But I really believe that's something that they should be making sure that they operate properly daily.

The rep told me to try to go out and back in, and then it worked after that, but I don't wanna ever go through that again where I couldn't get anybody on the phone because of the pandemic. Then if the staff has been cut or they don't have that many people, I can't get anybody on the phone, and the website won't take a request, that's not good. As far as the guy that came out for the central air, he just put some Freon, but he stayed outside because of COVID. He got out of the car with a mask on so he was practicing precaution. I had an electrician come out. There were two of them that came out. It was for my garbage disposal. It was before a light switch. They were okay and they were friendly. They seemed professional, courteous and they did the work. Everything's working properly.

Total Home Protection response

Original review: July 30, 2020

As homeowners, we need to have a warranty for any appliances and everything like that. I got Total Home Protection. My first claim with them went so smoothly. When I called Total Home Protection, they said this would be fixed within 48 hours. But we weren't able to wait for that long so I searched for my own local contractor. They came over and they fixed the unit right away. They were good. I hope they got the reimbursement from the warranty company. Everything has been functioning well.

I referred two of my friends to Total Home Protection and they had issues. When they called Total Home Protection, they said those services were not covered. I don’t know what services and what appliances will be covered fully. One friend had some air conditioning issue and when he called, he was told it was not covered. He also had some sump pump failure. He called and that wasn't even covered. Luckily, I don't have any other issues like those. Based on my first claim, I'm happy with Total Home Protection. I made a very good decision choosing them.

Total Home Protection response

Original review: April 24, 2020

I was unsatisfied with the warranty company that I had and then I tried Total Home Protection. I like them and they respond much quicker than the other two warranty companies that I had in the past. Last time, when my air conditioner went out, techs came and said the unit needed a motor. But I came to find out that I didn't need a motor. The guy from Choice told me I had to pay half. They reneged on the deal and I told them that as soon as my time was up, I would stop and I did. I paid $60 for the guy to come here and half for the motor. I needed to have air 'cause I got three grandbabies in the house.

I filed the claim with Total Home and the issue has not been fixed yet. It took me a while to contact them and it also took time for them to call the contractors to come out. But after I got to speak to somebody, they reacted pretty good. They called me and set me an appointment with a technician two times. The tech was supposed to come that day but they said they had to release him for some other reason. They got another guy to come in within 48 hours after I called about the issue.

With Total Home, they said they're gonna take care of everything other than the parts that are unfixable. The tech saw that the unit needed some electric wire. He did what he was supposed to do and I had no problems with him. He ordered a part. He called me Saturday and said the part was in. Now, I am waiting for him to come and finish it up.

Total Home Protection response

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

I've been with Total Home Protection on-and-off for about 20 years. I am gonna check into American Home Shield and a couple of other ones that my other co-workers are telling me about and make sure I’m getting all the coverage I can get. I don’t mind paying my monthly bill, I just want them to be there when I need them. When the water heater had a problem and I called them, they said that my card expired three months prior. I asked, “Why'd you come?" They said that they could re-establish it and it’d take 30 days before I could make another claim.

When I called about a leak around the seal of the toilet, a drippy sink faucet and an outside faucet that was dripping, they didn’t give what I wanted, but I had great service. I thought they covered all the plumbing, however, nothing was covered but the toilet seal. They put a new seal on the toilet and fixed the leak. The contractor was quick. He was young but he knew what he was doing and talking about. Everything was done within an hour. Once he diagnosed what he thought the problem was, he turned the water off, disconnected the toilet, put a new seal in and put it all back together.

Total Home Protection response

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

In 2018 I purchased the Platinum Warranty from Total Home Protection in New Jersey and paid up until 2024. I was supposed to get my first 2 service calls visits free but was charged by the companies that came out anyway.

September 2018 - Dishwasher did not work (could not fix it), Air Conditioner (could not fix it), Freezer on refrigerator was inadequate cooling/making loud sounds (they fixed it!), Microwave rotates both ways, sometimes does not turn off and sometimes turns itself on [by itself]. (could not fix – needs to be replaced). *PAID service charge = 90.00 (charged me for 2 service calls).

September 2018 - Dishwasher not filling with water (she put 3 cups of water in it and turned it on). **It wasn’t until after they left, all the water leaked out all over my kitchen floor**. Microwave rotates both ways, sometimes it does not turn off and sometimes it turns itself on (by itself). (could not fix – needs to be replaced). *PAID service charge = $45.00.

November 2019 - Dishwasher leaking water (could not fix – said it was the seal). *PAID service charge = $45.00.

*** Unfortunately, NONE of the companies that came out are listed in the BBB and their lack of professionalism when they are here, shows it. I was supposed to get 2 FREE service charge (visits) but have paid for each one and charged “double” on the first visit!!

*** I have been calling since “July 2020” to reach someone/anyone/the person that sold me this contract, but I am given the run-around each time. Although they say they will have someone call me back, they never do.

*** I HIGHLY recommend anyone looking for this type of protection for their home… NOT to use this company.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

Never want to repair or replace anything. Made me pay for technician's visit more than once for the same appliances because they delay or do not respond technician's proposals. Very unhappy with the amount of money I spent on it.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

My first try at contacting TOTAL HOME PROTECTION was very unsatisfactory. They sent me the information on a contractor to contact instead of contacting them on their own as policy states. When I called this contractor they told me I was too far away to make it worth their while AND TOTAL HOME PROTECTION was behind in their bills and they were not excepting any more jobs from them. When I called TOTAL HOME PROTECTION back I was told they would assign me another contractor and heard nothing back. Still waiting. It has been 5 business days since first request. I have sent emails and spend 5 total hours on hold in two phone calls. Contacting lawyer to get money back.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

I was having a problem with the toilet. I called Total Home Protection and the appointment was scheduled. The company called to confirm and they came. They resolved it. They were good. Everything was fine since then. Everything was good with Total Home Protection as well.

Total Home Protection response

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

I have been with Total & never made a claim. 2 properties with them. Last month I said my air went out they sent someone & they said this company never covers anything. He wanted to charge me $500 extra.

Total Home Protection Company Information