ServicePlus Home Warranty

ServicePlus (Formerly Total Home Protection)

1.9/5 (46 ratings)
Find a Home Warranties partner

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About ServicePlus (Formerly Total Home Protection)

ServicePlus Home Warranty offers two home warranty plans for customers to choose from. Coverage is available for major systems and appliances regardless of age, make or model. Technicians are prescreened for licensing and insurance to take care of major replacements and repairs.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• Free online quote
    • Add-on coverage options
    • Large network of technicians

Cons

• Not available in all states
    • Some complaints about support

Bottom Line

ServicePlus Home Warranty offers competitive home warranty services. Between its two plans and add-ons, THP can provide coverage for most major systems and household appliances. However, availability and costs vary by location.

Top ServicePlus Home Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… The price was right. It was a good deal… there's an online process to use. I like online stuff. It’s easy for me to do. I sent in the claim when I had a lone circuit breaker in ...

Verified

The agent was very helpful in describing the plan. What the plan covered and the term and cost. He gave the information on a five year plan and a three year plan. All the plans so...

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

ServicePlus Home Warranty plans

Depending on the warranty plan you select, ServicePlus Home Warranty coverage can include a mix of systems and appliances. The Gold plan covers 15 items, including systems like plumbing and appliances like dishwashers. Platinum coverage includes 20 major home systems and appliances. Additional coverages are available, including for pools and spas, water softeners and septic systems.

Gold plan

Total Home Protection’s Gold plan provides coverage for basic systems and appliances:

• Plumbing system
    • Ductwork
    • Garage door opener
    • Ceiling and exhaust fans
    Platinum plan

The Platinum plan covers everything in the Gold plan, plus your air conditioning system, clothes washer and dryer, heating system and refrigerator.

• Air conditioning system
    • Ductwork
    • Garage door opener
    • Ceiling and exhaust fans
    Optional coverage

Extra coverages are also available for those who want further protection.

• Pools and spas
    • Additional heating system
    • Additional water heater
    • Additional garage door opener

ServicePlus Home Warranty costs

Plans generally range from $53.67 per month to $60.33 per month. Because prices may vary by your location, home size and selected plan, the best way to get an accurate cost estimate is to request a quote from ServicePlus Home Warranty.

ServicePlus Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Preexisting conditions are not covered, which is standard on most home warranty contracts. Additionally, there may be parts or components of covered items that are excluded from coverage.

For example, while air conditioning systems are covered under the Platinum plan, replacement filters for those systems are not provided, according to a sample service agreement. With appliances, you often see items like knobs, dials, shelving and any removable accessories excluded from coverage.

A home warranty contract with THP may also include dollar amount caps, or coverage limits, so it’s important to read the agreement carefully.

ServicePlus Home Warranty coverage limits

ServicePlus Home Warranty places coverage limits on certain items (see below). If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds this amount, you would be responsible for covering the remainder of the costs yourself.

ServicePlus per contract term cap is $1,500 for “access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement” of all covered items. In addition, it has coverage limits per item in certain areas. This is the maximum dollar amount the company will pay out per contract term for specific items.

If a claim requires a service provider to break through walls or ceilings to make the repair, Total Home Protect will also cover up to $500 per claim to get the wall or ceiling back to a rough finish by hanging or patching drywall.

ItemServicePlus coverage limit*
    Plumbing and electrical$500
    Water heater$500
    Whirlpool bathtub, spa/pool$500
    Ceiling/exhaust fan$400
    Septic tank pumping$200
    Refrigerator ice maker$200

*For access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement (per contract term)

ServicePlus Home Warranty FAQ

Does ServicePlus have a waiting period?
    Yes, coverage kicks in 30 days after enrollment. In certain circumstances, ServicePlus may waive the waiting period.
    Where is ServicePlus available?
    ServicePlus offers service contracts in all states except for California and Nevada.
    How do I request service from ServicePlus?
    You can file a claim 24/7 online or by calling the ServicePlus claims department toll-free.
    1. Submit your claim to ServicePlus.
    2. ServicePlus assigns one of its approved local contractors to your case within two business days (four days on weekends and holidays).
    3. The service provider will contact you to schedule your appointment.
    4. You will pay your trade service call fee (specified in your contract; $75 is standard).

ServicePlus guarantees labor for 30 days and parts for 90 days. Should a failure occur due to the labor provided on your repair within 30 days, ServicePlus will send a technician to fix the problem at no additional cost to you.

Can I cancel ServicePlus?
    Yes. If you cancel within 30 days of ordering, you will receive a full refund. If you cancel after 30 days, you will receive a prorated refund for the remainder of the contract, minus a $50 administrative fee for each unused term.
    Is there a limit on the number of claims?
    There is no limit on the number of claims you can make during your contract term. However, there may be dollar caps on covered items per contract term.
    What happens if a covered item cannot be repaired?
    If Service Plus cannot repair a covered item, it will provide a replacement under your contract’s terms. The company may offer a cash payout instead.

Is ServicePlus Home Warranty legit?

ServicePlus Home Warranty is a legitimate home warranty company. It offers plenty of coverage options for homebuyers and sellers. Monthly costs are in line with the industry average, and it has a below-average service call fee, which is why we think the company is worth considering. It could be an especially good choice for those who like the idea of managing their account and claims online.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

I was attempting to complete my contract application online, but it did not load. The customer service representative called and finished it with me. When we spoke, he offered me more (coverage and a discount). Thank you very much.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

I recently purchased home insurance for a new house that I plan to renovate and move into. Service Plus charges are less than half of what I was quoted elsewhere. It almost seems too good to be true; all I can hope for is that when the time comes for me to use them (which I hope will never be), I get what I paid for. Customer service was very helpful in answering my questions, which were numerous due to my unfamiliarity with Service Plus. Let's hope everything continues to go as smoothly as it has.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

I had to recall one claim, and they were extremely professional and prompt. The furnace stopped working, and when I called, they sent someone out the next day to open it up and go through it, replacing the thermostat, I believe. They did what they said they'd do and when they said they'd do it.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

Terrific interaction from Service plus when booking the home visit throughout the day of service. Jerry did a fantastic task fixing my central vacuum as well as was really professional. Very advise Solution And also for your fixing needs.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

'Service plus' was a great choice we've made. They came very quickly at my request. My heating system break down and freezing temperature. I got my heat up same day. I think we got a really good deal.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

I have had this company for the past three years out of a five-year contract. When I call in for a repair, they tell me they have 48 hours to respond. That's fine if you have 48 hours. Last Nov. my water heater went out, I tried reaching them and was unable to. Both my wife and I are ill and needed the water heater repaired, so I called a repair company - heater needed to be replaced, it was 14 years old. When I finally reached someone at ServicePlus, on Monday, they refused to pay me anything because I hadn't gotten prior approval. This cost me $1,700.00.

Next my sump pump went out and my basement was flooding. This was just a day after the water heater went out. It was on a Friday, around 4:00 PM their time. No one answered the phone so I called a service company. Prior to their arrival my wife and I was carrying buckets of water upstairs - a flight of 13 steps. Both my wife and I had back problems and I also had knee problems in legs. The cost for a new pump and service was $500. Again, on Monday when I was finally able to reach someone at ServicePlus, they refused to cover any part of the service cost. Told me they had to approve and contact a contractor. Not only did I have to pay for the sump pump and service fee, but it cost me $4,400.00 in damage to my basement and contents.

In July 2021, my washer broke. I called for a repairman, and they had someone from somewhere in CO call me and wanted to do a video to determine the problem. Now I live just outside of Chicago, IL and the repairman couldn't determine the problem. He did tell me that the washer was old and he would suggest to ServicePlus that it be replaced. I waited several days to hear from them, finally, I called and was told that they would pay me $200 to replace it. I told them that amount would hardly pay for a new washer so they offered me $250.00.I knew I wasn't going to get any more so I accept the amount. After calling them every other month for 11 months, they finally sent me the money.

In Aug 2021, my garage door went out and it was on a Sat. Both my wife and my vehicles were in the garage and we were unable to reach the release cord, I had to call a repairman to come and repair the opener. The opener need to be replaced so I had him do it. On Monday I called ServicePlus and told them I had to have the opener replaced. At first, they denied to pay but then changed their mind. In a few days, it will be 13 months and I still haven't received the $250. Just like before, I call at least every other month and was told that it was approved and would be sent out soon. Just called them the week before last and told the same old story.

I have talked to several of the repairmen that they have sent for other jobs and they told me they have the same problems, ServicePlus don't like paying in a timely manner. It only took them a minute to charge my credit card over $2,000.00 for my five-year contract but they don't want to pay me what they owe me for repairs. Since I had two years at the time on my warranty, I tried to get them to reimburse some of the money and was told there isn't any left. I have a warranty on another home with AHS and I have had that warranty for 17 years, and I haven't ever had a problem with them as far as quick service or replacing an item.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

First I tried to cancel my ServicePlus Home Warranty contract within the specified 30 days by phone. I was told that they could not accept the cancellation by phone as per the fine print in the contract that says that the cancellation request needs to be sent to them in writing by mail. So I sent them the request by a certified letter through the Postal Mail. When they finally agreed to cancel my contract they said that it would take between 15-30 days to get a refund. After not getting a refund within the 30 days, I called them several times and all they told me was that my refund was approved but to wait a while longer (no reason given why). When I finally lost patience after 37 days of getting the run around, I called my credit card company and they were able to have ServicePlus give me an immediate refund (unbelievable on a Sunday).

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

With a consistent policy and knowledgeable staff, the process was quick and simple. The cost was affordable. I'll inform my friends and family about Service Plus home insurance. Thank you very much guys.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

Excellent experience. I highly recommend it. Contacting the company is simple. The representative was courteous and helpful. This warranty is a lifesaver. Thanks a lot to ServicePlus Home Warranty....

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

When you file the claim, they always delay assigning a technician which took more than a week and assigned me a technician without contract with them. Josh, the manager always say they will help but never got something helpful done. What they always do is asking you to wait for another 24 hours till weekend and they do not work during weekend. Customer service is basically nothing and they cannot do anything. Do not trust them which they always give you false answer then denial to pay anything.

Their sales are also scam which say I can pay yearly then starting charge without notice monthly. When you call them back, they just saying they do not know anything sales person say and not going to deal with it. Please be aware do not purchase anything from them. This company should be investigated by federal government as one of the biggest fault in the US.

Take a Home Warranty Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

ServicePlus Home Warranty Company Information