3.45/5
Based on 188 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Total Home Protection strives to be the best in the home warranty industry. We have products and services that provide fast and efficient solutions. Total Home Protection promises to go above and beyond to help you get back on your feet. THP offers two plans for you to choose from that work with your budget. Regardless of age, make or model, we will cover repair or replace your covered items. Our technicians are licensed, pre-screened and insured to take care of your replacement or repair. Visit our website today for a free quote!

Read More Read More
Last updated: April 20, 2018

263 Total Home Protection Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 20, 2018

I have called on a number of occasion to please unsubscribe me from their emails. I was considering Home Insurance, but after not getting a response to my request taken care of, I will probably not consider this company. A quality firm would normally allow customers to unsubscribe from email blasts, this firm does not offer that. They are just clogging up my inbox.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2018

It was brief and easy to understand.The agent was precise in the coverage plans and the plans met my household needs. I was also given the opportunity to extend my coverage for 3 years and do it with installment payments. Thank You.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Jeff ** was a tremendous help to me while renewing my contract, on 4/17/18. If it were not for his friendliness and knowledge I probably would not have renewed. I was on the edge because I haven’t used it for the last year, but Jeff explained things to me and helped me pick out the best plan. Thank you Jeff.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 16, 2018

I am not getting any satisfactory responses for my claim, my emails. The agents on the call are rude. The service has been pathetic since beginning - Called on 3/3 and the submitted the claim. Called back on 3/5 to find out about the claim but was told it has been incorrectly noted down. Submitted another one. Technician arrived on 3/9. No updates till 3/15. Followed up again. No updates till 3/28. Agent gave me an assurance that my claim will be resolved by Monday 04/02/2018. Mentioned on the call that the part was on back order and it has now arrived and will be replace first thing on 04/02/2018. I was never informed before about the back order. Followed up again. Followed up again on 04/04. Got frustrated and asked for a cancellation on 04/06 and was told a cancellation agent would call. Never received the call till 04/16.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you contacting us with the above referenced review. We at Total Home Protection treat each review with the utmost respect and use this feedback to better serve our valued customers. We are committed to providing a positive customer experience and doing the right thing for all our customers, contractors, employees, and our company.

In regards to this claim it was authorized and the technician had to order a part but did not communicate that to the customer. Once the part was received, calls were made to the customer in order to set up an appointment for repair. In an effort to provide good customer service we offered a free service charge for his next claim as a courtesy.

Original review: April 13, 2018

The first time I requested assistance with a covered repair, I got 3 solid weeks of we are trying to find a tech. After 3 weeks I gave up waiting and found a tech with one phone call, Total Home said if I paid out of my pocket at the time of service, I would get a reimbursement. Within 15 to 30 days, 3 weeks later I was still waiting, when I had a second covered repair needed. I call them and when I was told they had a tech, I was very happy it was the same day, the next day I did not have a tech, so I call them and they lied to me. They told me they had never used that company so they could not use them for me. I had already talked to the tech, and they told me that the reason they were not coming is because they charge a trip fee, and Total Home was not going to pay.

So I called them and told them, so they lied to me again. I was told if I pay upfront I can get it reimbursed, I was already waiting for the last time they promised me they would reimbursement. (It was already 2 weeks) I demanded to speak to someone higher up, they could not do that. So I canceled my account, magically the next day I received a call from someone higher up. That person told me the other person was mistaken when he told me they do not use that company. I said, "No they lied, just like they lied the first time." He spent 3 days trying to let me send out the Tech. I said no at least 10 different times. FYI I am still waiting for the reimbursement from the first fix. (It is now 40 days) and it still has not come, I am also waiting for the money back from when I canceled. They will not give me any idea when it will come.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you contacting us with the above referenced review. We at Total Home Protection treat each review with the utmost respect and use this feedback to better serve our valued customers. Understandably there are two sides to every story and always look for a fair resolution between all parties.

All claims have been properly serviced in accordance with the Service Agreement. We are committed to providing a positive customer experience and doing the right thing for all our customers, contractors, employees, and our company.

Mr. Shields placed a claim for a Clothes Dryer on 2/8/2018. Unable to get a technician with availability we offered the customer to go through reimbursement, where the customer would contact their own technician to service the unit. Once authorization was given and we received the reciept, we would send a reimbursement check. We were advised on 2/19/2018 that the customer got his own tech out to the home and the claim was authorized. We received the receipt for reimbursement on 3/8/2018. The customer was advised it would take 15-30 days for the check to process and be received. Another claim was placed on 3/19/2018 for a Plumbing issue, tub and sink were draining slowly. A technician was assigned on 3/20/2018 but there was an issue with the pre set authorization given to the technician so there was a delay in service.

The customer requested to cancel on 3/20/2018 and was given a prorated refund. In an effort to provide good customer service, we offered to reimburse in full which was rejected.

We at Total Home Protection have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. If you have any questions, please contact me at 1-800-545-0402.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

Original review: April 13, 2018

Jeff was very "up front," courteous and professional. He made the whole process "painless!" We appreciated that he did not try to sell us what we did not need! He was very prompt in his follow-up emails. We will be recommending this company to friends!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 12, 2018

A company full of scamsters. And I have every reason to believe that almost all their good reviews here are fake. I would be surprised to find a single satisfied customer from them. They will charge you more than what they promise, and will NOT cover ANYTHING that promise they will cover. Biggest scamster is Henry **... their "Director of Sales". He brought me onboard by offering some value-deals. Later, I was billed a completely different amount. When I tried to call him back, he was speechless and did not respond. He said he would call back, and obviously he never did. Further, he refused to pick up my calls.

In the meanwhile my heater broke down in the freezing winter, which was obviously covered by the insurance. They spoke to my technician and after listening to the problem they approved him to go ahead, and they asked me to pay him and apply for reimbursement. And now, they are refusing to reimburse me. Total FRAUD! Will be reporting this the BBB. When I complained about the non-reimbursement to their manager Alex **, he said, "You are no longer a member. We can't help you. You are welcome to do whatever you want!!!"

Total Home Protection response

Thank you contacting us with the above referenced complaint. We at Total Home Protection treat each complaint with the utmost respect and use this feedback to better serve our valued customers. Understandably there are two sides to every story and always look for a fair resolution between all parties.

For the first property a claim was placed on 11/29/2017 for his Heating system not coming on. The diagnosis concluded that the cause of the failure was air in trapped in the oil line at the boiler. The customer was informed, but submitted another claim on 12/20/2017 with the same issue. He was advised at that time that bleeding the line, which is a maintenance issue is not covered under this policy. The customer requested to cancel on 12/26/17 and was refunded accordingly.

The customer submitted a claim for his second property for the Heating system that there was no heat downstairs. The consumer got his own technician out to the home for the issue. We were advised by his technician he had to remove the plenum from the evaporator coil to re install correctly and to close open gaps. He also had to relieve back pressure on the system that was causing it to overheat and cut off the high temp limit. He submitted for reimbursement but the issue was not covered to qualify for reimbursement.

Per our policy these failures are clearly excluded from coverage. Please see the referenced section of the policy below;

III. REQUESTING SERVICE – CALL (800) 545-0402

E. In the event we authorize or request you to contact an independent service contractor to perform a covered service, we will provide reimbursement for an authorized amount of the cost you incur for the repair or replacement services. Acceptable proof of the repair and your actual itemized costs must be provided to and approved by us before any reimbursement will be paid. We are not responsible for expenses you incur without our express consent. We will not reimburse you for any costs associated with unauthorized repairs or work performed by unauthorized contractors.

V. COVERAGE

B. Heating System

Note: Coverage available on units up to a 5-ton capacity, and for residential use only.

COVERED: Mechanical parts and components of two (2) systems, either hot water and steam heating system or centrally ducted forced air gas/electric/oil heating system or electric baseboard units, if providing the primary source of heat in dwelling, as follows: accessible ductwork from covered heating unit to point of attachment to register/grill; blower fan motors; burners; controls; fan blades; heat/cool thermostats (programmable and electronic set back units will be replaced only with standard units); heat exchangers; heating elements; ignitor and pilot assemblies; internal system controls; wiring; and relays; motors (excludes dampers); and switches. Electric baseboard units are covered if they are the primary source of heating for the property.

NOT COVERED: Chimneys, flues, and liners; cleaning and re-lighting of pilots; concrete encased or inaccessible ductwork; concrete encased or inaccessible steam or radiant heating coils or lines; conditions of water flow restriction due to scale, rust, minerals and other deposits; cracked heat exchangers; rusted and/or corroded heat exchangers; maintenance and cleaning; calcium build-up; evaporator coil pan; primary or secondary drain pans; fossil and dual fuel control systems and other energy management systems and controls; dampers; asbestos insulated ductwork or piping; electric baseboard heat unless primary heating system in home; filters (including electronic/electrostatic and de-ionizing filter systems); fireplaces and their respective components and gas lines; free-standing or portable heating units; heat lamps; pellet stoves; fuel storage tanks, lines, and filters; gas log systems, including gas feed lines; valves; key valves; oil filters, nozzles, or strainers; humidifiers; inaccessible water/steam lines leading to or from system; backflow preventers; individual space heaters; panels and/or cabinetry; radiant heating systems built into walls, floors or ceilings; registers and grills; secondary units; solar heating devices and components; maintenance; noise without a related mechanical failure; improperly sized heating systems; mismatched systems; and structural components.

VII. GENERAL LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY

R. This Agreement does not cover any mechanical failure when the covered item or system has been repaired, modified, disabled or adjusted in any way which prevents us or our independent Service Contractor(s) from inspecting, diagnosing and/or repairing the mechanical failure. This Agreement does not cover any mechanical failure to any covered item or system that has been improperly altered, repaired, installed, modified or damaged in the course of remodeling or unauthorized repair.

All claims have been properly serviced in accordance with the Service Agreement - all contracts have inclusions as well as exclusions. We are committed to providing a positive customer experience and doing the right thing for all our customers, contractors, employees, and our company.

We at Total Home Protection have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. If you have any further questions, please contact us at 1-800-545-0402.

Original review: April 6, 2018

After 3 contractors contacted by Total Home Protection finally got a tech to come to my house. He reported to Total Home Protection the cost to repair the washing machine. They would not pay for the repairs. Instead they offered me $300.00 toward buying a new washing machine. They claimed that was their policy. Heck I can't get a cheap one for less than $600.00. They are rip-offs. If I had knew that's how they do I would have never signed up with them if I knew how lowdown they are.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I am glad to know that your company cover "limited roof leak" which my previous HO warrantee do. Also Mr. ** told me about Senior 6 months free offer (May 1st 2018 thru Nov 1st 2021... (42 months total). The best part I like is - IT IS TRANSFERABLE OR REFUND if you sell the home before 3 & 1/2 years. Thank you.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you for selecting Total Home Protection for all your home warranty needs. We know your time is valuable so we take feedback very seriously. Your feedback allows us to improve our business and promote the level of service expected from a trusted industry leader. Total Home Protection strives to be a top rated home warranty provider. We have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. We sincerely thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service during normal business hours at 1-800-545-0402.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Jerry was awesome, very knowledgeable, great experience, he set me up with the right plan that was the best value, he covered all the different plans and tailored one for us. We look forward to a long term relationship with your company.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Please note that I have cancelled the Total Home Protection Plan ** immediately after receiving the Contract Terms and Conditions. The full amount for the plan was withdrawn from my Amex credit card account even before acceptance by me and the starting of the contract date 4/21/18.

Total Home Protection response

In an effort to provide good customer service, we were happy to work out the details of your policy to fit your needs. We are extremely pleased that you have remained a customer.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Sam was the best person I could have dealt with. He understood everything I was asking and showed compassion and the way he handled what I was saying if I was asked would I refer him to anyone and everyone I know.

Original review: April 4, 2018

My mother in law referred me to this program. When getting my policy, Jeff ** was great to work with. He explained how the policy works and what all it covers (which is everything in your house!!). I'll definitely be referring a friend in the near future.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Quick response on app. I was just barely finish to get a quote when one of your representatives called me to guide me on a quote which was a lot affordable than my previous insurance company (American Home Shield). Now I just hope this company follows through with results.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Cortney was polite and considerate over the phone in setting up our account. We were changing from another home warranty company. I think he assisted us to tailor the best coverage for us, hope when we see it in writing it is.

Total Home Protection response

Original review: March 29, 2018

I would like to thank Total Home Protection having an excellent experience with selecting the protection of my homes and Mr. Ben ** understanding our needs and concerns with ownership of multiple homes. The peace of mind knowing that we are protected moving forward for extended number of years is a peaceful experience as well. Many thanks.

Total Home Protection response

Original review: March 27, 2018

Tried to purchase your policy online but did not understand everything so called and spoke to your salesman Chip. This gentleman was very helpful and did purchase your plan immediately. Awaiting my policy and thank you for your assistance.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I want to thank Total Home Protection for being so expedient in getting in touch with me. I had just opened up the information on Home Warranty when I received a phone call. It was fast, convenient and the person I spoke with was very pleasant. Thanks again for your assistance.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Daniel ** rendered very courteous and professional service. He provided us with all answers to our questions and as a result of his suggestions and a reasonable cost quote it seems that a multi-year warranty is value priced. We also received prompt e-mail notifications of our new warranty.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Mark ** was very knowledgeable and helpful in providing me with the necessary coverage I need and also giving me the discount for applying for Total Home Protection and also providing me with the senior discount. Thanks to people like this to help give us the reassurance need to protect their home. Thank you Mark.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I was just purchasing this home warranty. The gentleman who I spoke to was very thorough in his explanation of how the warranty works and what I will be paying for. Very informative and helpful. Thanks again Cortney **.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Mark ** was the representative I spoke with today. He explained the policy to me so I could understand it and mentioned all the features and benefits. He helped me see what a good value it is and I am happy I purchased it for my rental property.

Resolution response: March 21, 2018

I don't know how to remove a review, so I'll do this instead. I had some issues with Total Home Protection, but they have begun working on the issue, so I'm looking forward to getting this resolved. I appreciate the company contacting me and for being willing to resolve this issue. My star rating has increased. Thank you.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I'm an appliance repair business owner. I've been doing repairs through Total Home Protection since the beginning of January. After not receiving payment for almost a month, I called and was told payments were sent after 30 days. Fine. So I continued taking calls from them. After 2 months of seeing no payments, I called again, and discovered they had an invalid mailing address for me. Again, fine. Gave them a valid mailing address. Now it is mid-March. Still haven't seen a payment. C'mon now. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but this is getting ridiculous.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Marc ** was very nice and very helpful. I have not used this home warranty yet. But it is nice knowing I have coverage for my home. I hope and trust the Total Home warranty will work out for me when I need them.

Original review: March 15, 2018

STAY AWAY. THEY ARE THE WORST. I had a contract with Total Home Protection as of 7/14/17, I filed a claim on my Tankless hot water heater that is an added coverage that I pay extra for, that started leaking, they sent out one of their contracted plumbers who sent the co. a repair estimate of $1117 and a replace estimate of $2500. The Co. then offered me $500 saying it is a "plumbing issue" which it is not. I said that is not acceptable and was told they would see what they could do about getting more money. When they got back to me they told me they will not pay anything for the claim now because it is not covered because of "rust and corrosion" that is not covered. I talked to the plumber they had come out and he agreed that the corrosion was caused me the leak and not that the corrosion caused the leak.

They still refused to pay the claim but would now pay me $200 to close out the claim and cancel out the contract to get rid of me. They also have a limit for all claims of $1500 but I was told by their salesperson that there is NO limit on what they would pay out to replace or repair a tankless hot water heater and I have him recorded saying so. So as others have seen their salespeople lie and will say anything to get you to buy their worthless protection. The main reason I purchased this contract was for the hot water heater if I know there was a limit of $500 or $1500 I would not have done so.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I paid 45.00 per visit not 60.00, I feel better per month than all of the payment upfront, and I felt he was trying to convince me to pay the whole amount upfront. I didn't like trying to be persuade to pay the whole amount upfront.

Original review: March 10, 2018

My dishwasher failed beyond repair. They only paid $189.00 to replace it. I called them because my dryer quit on Thursday 3/8/18 @ 9:25 AM and was told I would receive a email within 24-48 hours with a service company to contact for the repair. I called back Saturday 3/10/18 @ 11:15 because I hadn't received any info from them and was told they couldn't tell me anything about the claim till normal business hours on Monday. They have been very rude and SLOW every time I talked to them after I actually purchased their plan. BE AWARE OF ALL THE "NOT COVERED" ITEMS AND PARTS.

Total Home Protection response

We have been in contact with this customer and we have provided a SCF as a courtesy to this customer for his negative experience.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I purchased a "Home Warranty" from this company on February 27, 2017. I filed a claim on Saturday, March 03, 2018. I was given a confirmation number for the repair and/or replacement and advised someone would be contacting me on Monday, March 05. When I was contacted by the repair facility I was told it would be Tuesday before someone would be out. I was asked some questions about the appliance and was told that the hot water tank was not covered. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Total Home Protection response

As per the contract the main holding tank is excluded as the warranty covers mechanical failures. This was the customers first claim so as a courtesy we offered 2 months free service.

Original review: March 6, 2018

While attempting to file my first claim with this company, I received the worse customer service ever from George Employee # ** and Angel an alleged manager. They both were rude and discourteous and were unwilling to assist me when I was told they had the authority to do so. Will never recommend this company!

Total Home Protection response

The customers policy started on 2/28/18. On 3/6/18 this customer submitted a claim for a water heater not heating properly. She stated the last time the unit was working properly was a week prior 2/27/18. This was before her policy's effective date and was a pre existing issue.

In an effort to provide good customer service, we offered the customer two free months of service. Unfortunately, the consumer rejected our goodwill gesture.

We are committed to providing a positive customer experience and doing the right thing for all our customers, contractors, employees, and our company. If you have any further questions, please contact us at 1-800-545-0402.

Original review: March 4, 2018

Our heater was blowing out cold air so I called Total Home Protection and they sent somebody out in a timely manner. The tech was awesome. The problem was with the switch and he had the part in the van with him and fixed it in that first visit. It has been working well ever since. We were with another company before Total Home Protection and they sent a lot of strange people out to our home that I don’t think were bonded or licensed. When we called Total Home Protection again for the air conditioner, I requested for the same technician. We liked him the first time especially after our previous experience with another company. He came out that same day and fixed our claim.

We're happy with Total Home Protection and I recommend them to other people. If things go wrong, we don’t have to stress around trying to find people. Total Home Protection sends people out to fix things and it's a good deal. We pay so much a year and we know what the cost is for the visits. They seem very professional and licensed. They do a good job and come when they say they're coming, and they call right away. I have the same insurance for our other home in California. That way, the renters don’t have to worry if something breaks.

Total Home Protection expert review by Michele Lerner

Total Home Protection (THP) provides warranty plans for homeowners, real estate agents and home sellers. THP offers two plans as well as additional coverage so homeowners can choose the protection they need.

• No limit on age, make or model: The appliances covered by THP warranties are eligible for repair or replacement, no matter their age, make or model.

• Free month: Consumers can try one of Total Home Protection’s single payment home warranty plans for a month, for free, to see how they can benefit from it.

• Claims hours: Total Home Protection has 24/7 claims service, so customers can file a claim as soon as a system or appliance malfunctions.

• Service providers: THP’s Servicing Guidelines are available on the website, and they include proof of licensing, insurance minimums and the expectation that each contractor will make a service appointment no more than four hours after receiving a work order.

• Work guarantee: THP has a 90 day guarantee on parts and 30 day guarantee on labor for work performed by their contractors. If a problem occurs within the guaranteed period, the company will send another provider to repair it without charging a second service fee.

• Best for: homeowners, homebuyers and realtors.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Total Home Protection Company Information