ServicePlus Home Warranty

ServicePlus (Formerly Total Home Protection)

1.9/5 (34 ratings)
Monthly premium cost
$53.67 to $60.33
Availability
48 states

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

View Plan

About ServicePlus (Formerly Total Home Protection)

ServicePlus Home Warranty offers two home warranty plans for customers to choose from. Coverage is available for major systems and appliances regardless of age, make or model. Technicians are prescreened for licensing and insurance to take care of major replacements and repairs.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans near you

Pros

• Free online quote
    • Add-on coverage options
    • Large network of technicians

Cons

• Not available in all states
    • Some complaints about support

Bottom Line

ServicePlus Home Warranty offers competitive home warranty services. Between its two plans and add-ons, THP can provide coverage for most major systems and household appliances. However, availability and costs vary by location.

Top ServicePlus Home Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ServicePlus Home Warranty?

Verified

… The price was right. It was a good deal… there's an online process to use. I like online stuff. It’s easy for me to do. I sent in the claim when I had a lone circuit breaker in ...

Verified

The agent was very helpful in describing the plan. What the plan covered and the term and cost. He gave the information on a five year plan and a three year plan. All the plans so...

ServicePlus Home Warranty plans

Depending on the warranty plan you select, ServicePlus Home Warranty coverage can include a mix of systems and appliances. The Gold plan covers 15 items, including systems like plumbing and appliances like dishwashers. Platinum coverage includes 20 major home systems and appliances. Additional coverages are available, including for pools and spas, water softeners and septic systems.

Gold plan

Total Home Protection’s Gold plan provides coverage for basic systems and appliances:

• Plumbing system
    • Ductwork
    • Garage door opener
    • Ceiling and exhaust fans
    Platinum plan

The Platinum plan covers everything in the Gold plan, plus your air conditioning system, clothes washer and dryer, heating system and refrigerator.

• Air conditioning system
    • Ductwork
    • Garage door opener
    • Ceiling and exhaust fans
    Optional coverage

Extra coverages are also available for those who want further protection.

• Pools and spas
    • Additional heating system
    • Additional water heater
    • Additional garage door opener

ServicePlus Home Warranty costs

Plans generally range from $53.67 per month to $60.33 per month. Because prices may vary by your location, home size and selected plan, the best way to get an accurate cost estimate is to request a quote from ServicePlus Home Warranty.

ServicePlus Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Preexisting conditions are not covered, which is standard on most home warranty contracts. Additionally, there may be parts or components of covered items that are excluded from coverage.

For example, while air conditioning systems are covered under the Platinum plan, replacement filters for those systems are not provided, according to a sample service agreement. With appliances, you often see items like knobs, dials, shelving and any removable accessories excluded from coverage.

A home warranty contract with THP may also include dollar amount caps, or coverage limits, so it’s important to read the agreement carefully.

ServicePlus Home Warranty coverage limits

ServicePlus Home Warranty places coverage limits on certain items (see below). If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds this amount, you would be responsible for covering the remainder of the costs yourself.

ServicePlus per contract term cap is $1,500 for “access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement” of all covered items. In addition, it has coverage limits per item in certain areas. This is the maximum dollar amount the company will pay out per contract term for specific items.

If a claim requires a service provider to break through walls or ceilings to make the repair, Total Home Protect will also cover up to $500 per claim to get the wall or ceiling back to a rough finish by hanging or patching drywall.

ItemServicePlus coverage limit*
    Plumbing and electrical$500
    Water heater$500
    Whirlpool bathtub, spa/pool$500
    Ceiling/exhaust fan$400
    Septic tank pumping$200
    Refrigerator ice maker$200

*For access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement (per contract term)

ServicePlus Home Warranty FAQ

Does ServicePlus have a waiting period?

Yes, coverage kicks in 30 days after enrollment. In certain circumstances, ServicePlus may waive the waiting period.

Where is ServicePlus available?

ServicePlus offers service contracts in all states except for California and Nevada.

How do I request service from ServicePlus?

You can file a claim 24/7 online or by calling the ServicePlus claims department toll-free.

1. Submit your claim to ServicePlus.
    2. ServicePlus assigns one of its approved local contractors to your case within two business days (four days on weekends and holidays).
    3. The service provider will contact you to schedule your appointment.
    4. You will pay your trade service call fee (specified in your contract; $75 is standard).

ServicePlus guarantees labor for 30 days and parts for 90 days. Should a failure occur due to the labor provided on your repair within 30 days, ServicePlus will send a technician to fix the problem at no additional cost to you.

Can I cancel ServicePlus?

Yes. If you cancel within 30 days of ordering, you will receive a full refund. If you cancel after 30 days, you will receive a prorated refund for the remainder of the contract, minus a $50 administrative fee for each unused term.

Is there a limit on the number of claims?

There is no limit on the number of claims you can make during your contract term. However, there may be dollar caps on covered items per contract term.

What happens if a covered item cannot be repaired?

If Service Plus cannot repair a covered item, it will provide a replacement under your contract’s terms. The company may offer a cash payout instead.

Is ServicePlus Home Warranty legit?

ServicePlus Home Warranty is a legitimate home warranty company. It offers plenty of coverage options for homebuyers and sellers. Monthly costs are in line with the industry average, and it has a below-average service call fee, which is why we think the company is worth considering. It could be an especially good choice for those who like the idea of managing their account and claims online.

ServicePlus Home Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ServicePlus Home Warranty?

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

With a consistent policy and knowledgeable staff, the process was quick and simple. The cost was affordable. I'll inform my friends and family about Service Plus home insurance. Thank you very much guys.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

I was attempting to complete my contract application online, but it did not load. The customer service representative called and finished it with me. When we spoke, he offered me more (coverage and a discount). Thank you very much.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

I recently purchased home insurance for a new house that I plan to renovate and move into. Service Plus charges are less than half of what I was quoted elsewhere. It almost seems too good to be true; all I can hope for is that when the time comes for me to use them (which I hope will never be), I get what I paid for. Customer service was very helpful in answering my questions, which were numerous due to my unfamiliarity with Service Plus. Let's hope everything continues to go as smoothly as it has.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

I had to recall one claim, and they were extremely professional and prompt. The furnace stopped working, and when I called, they sent someone out the next day to open it up and go through it, replacing the thermostat, I believe. They did what they said they'd do and when they said they'd do it.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

Terrific interaction from Service plus when booking the home visit throughout the day of service. Jerry did a fantastic task fixing my central vacuum as well as was really professional. Very advise Solution And also for your fixing needs.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

On 1/2/23, I called ServicePlus, my home warranty contractor, to report my kitchen faucet was leaking badly. I was automatically connected to their artificial intelligence (AI) telephony Dept. I gave all the information and was told by AI a service person would call to set up an app’t. I didn’t hear back so I called again 1/4/23 and this time I held out to talk to a real person. I told them I had the Platinum Policy and plumbing was covered. After checking my contract though, the real person told me the kitchen faucet was not covered. I said the faucet was part of the plumbing and how could it not be covered. Once again they threw me under the bus to get it fixed on my own.

This has happened with other claims I have made in which ServicePlus tries every which way to Sunday to avoid paying out money to help customers. I paid for a 5 year contract with them thinking I was getting a good deal but it has turned out to be the worst deal. In two cases in years past they refused to pay for HVAC repairs until I exposed their hypocrisy to the Wash DC TV Channel 7 “On Your Side” Station. This TV channel got justice for me when I was cheated. I give ServicePlus the lowest rating possible.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

Service Plus Home Warranty Claim #** On 12/26/22. I woke up to water in my home. I called Service Plus Home Warranty 4x's to notify them but no one answered. I went on the site entered a claim right after the call. I was concerned and didn't want further damage or more pipes busting. I am disabled my husband 67 yrs old. We waited but no one called, texted or emailed us back. We had no choice but to call emergency plumbers and hours later we finally got emergency help. The plumber had to bust open wall to find where the water was coming from 2 pipes busted. He stated that if we don't take care this lots more damage can occur and pipes need to repaired. So we had no other choice but to get it done. He charged us $800.00+. This does not include the wall and damages.

We waited for Service plus for 24 hrs later because we still hadn't heard from them. Soon after we called I received a VM from technician coming over to access the issue and fix it. I had just spoken with Service plus and had submitted receipts and pictures after they told us to fill out a reimbursement form. I noticed that when I went in back to the site to send receipts that it stated claim closed. What? I was in distress to see that they closed the claim what is going on? So I called and they told me to still submit it. Ok so I did then I received an email stating that I was supposed contact them first and because I didn't, that I am wasn't going to get reimbursed. Why did they tell me to fill it out, send receipts and I even sent more pictures.

They were putting on a show. They kept saying I didn't contact them first but I did. I sent call record log and the claim that I submitted before we had emergency plumber come to our rescue because Service Plus Home Warranty didn't respond until 24 hours later after I called many times. I want this resolved. Please help.

I called today, told me it a was mistake no reimbursement. Scamming seniors citizens/people who are disabled that is so cruel. Help

Original review: Dec. 19, 2022

In April 2022 my AC stopped working. SHW said they would not cover it and offered me a "Goodwill" payment of $300.00. It is now December 2022, that is 8 months later and still no check. I keep calling and am given lame excuses why payment has not been mailed. I was talked into a 3 year warranty. One year is coming up so I requested a refund of the 2 remaining years. They said they could not refund... another lame excuse. They take advantage of seniors and these people that cannot do simple home improvement tasks. They are a sham company that preys on vulnerable people. THIS COMPANY DESERVES A NEGATIVE RATING AND POSSIBLY INVESTIGATED BY GOVERMENT AUTHORITIES.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2022

A lot of promises, but a lot of excuses. They do not use qualified technicians, and don't follow up. After a series of no-shows on my Air Conditioning last May, I was told I could contract my own technician and they would reimburse. Seven months later I'm still waiting on that reimbursement. Money wasted.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

Run, don't walk away from this company!! Customer service is the worst I have ever dealt with!! Waited over 4 months to get a $250 check for a broken washer, it only took more than a dozen phone calls to get it. Now, I am 1 month in on a claim for a leaking bath tub drain, and nothing has been done. First contractor assigned called me and told me he hasn't done a job for them in over 3 years because they are a terrible company to both customers and contractors!! That was 3 weeks ago!! Job was reassigned and I haven't heard a peep from new contractor!! Called him, no voicemail. I have made at least a dozen calls!! I have left reviews with BBB also.

Take a Home Warranty Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

ServicePlus Home Warranty Company Information

ServicePlus Home Warranty
        518 Old Post Road, Suite 7 #315
        Edison
        NJ
        www.serviceplus.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: