2. Homeowners
Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.92/5

Total Home Protection strives to be the best in the home warranty industry. We have products and services that provide fast and efficient solutions. Total Home Protection promises to go above and beyond to help you get back on your feet. THP offers two plans for you to choose from that work with your budget. Regardless of age, make or model, we will cover repair or replace your covered items. Our technicians are licensed, pre-screened and insured to take care of your replacement or repair. Visit our website today for a free quote!

BOTTOM LINE

Total Home Protection offers competitive home warranty services. The plans are not available in every state, but they offer solid coverage plans to their served areas.

PROS

• Ability to add additional systems and appliances
  • Quality coverage

CONS

• Not available nationwide

Top Total Home Protection Reviews We Found

I haven't been a customer for long but the amount of time and energy I've saved so far has been unmatched. Total Home Protection makes the repair process as easy as it should be my oven has been fixed to perfection for the cost of just a $45 deductible. I'm very impressed.

I submitted a claim with them online for my stainless steel dishwasher and they were very nice and they got it within 10 hours. Then the guy called me back, made the appointment and they came the next day. It's now back to normal and doing great.

Total Home Protection Call Now Toll Free (732) 520-4474 Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

Total Home Protection plans

Total Home Protection offers two plan variations for home warranty coverage. Both provide coverage for a mix of systems and appliances.

• Gold: Covers 15 items, including systems like plumbing and appliances like dishwashers.
  • Platinum: Covers 20 major home systems and appliances. In addition to the 15 items covered by the Gold plan, the Platinum plan covers more key appliances like refrigerators and systems like heat and AC.
  • Optional coverage: Additional items are available to add on to either plan, including items like pools and spas, water softeners and septic systems or additional appliances and systems like a second refrigerator or A/C unit.

Total Home Protection cost

Total Home Protection advertises plans as low as $1 per day. Because prices may vary by your location, home size and selected plan, the best way to get an accurate cost is to request a quote from Total Home Protection. Luckily, they make this easy with a simple online form.

Total Home Protection coverage

Between their two plans and add-on coverage, a Total Home Protection home warranty provides coverage for most major systems and household appliances.

The Gold plan covers the following systems and appliances:
  • Built-in microwave
  • Plumbing system
  • Trash compactor
  • Whirlpool bath
  • Water heater
The Platinum plan covers the following systems and appliances:
  • Air conditioning system
  • Refrigerator
  • Trash compactor
  • Whirlpool bath
  • Water heater
You can also add on optional coverage to your plan at a per-item fee for the following:
  • Additional A/C system
  • Stand-alone freezer
  • Water softener/li>
  • Well pump

Total Home Protection Reviews

Original review: April 24, 2020

I was unsatisfied with the warranty company that I had and then I tried Total Home Protection. I like them and they respond much quicker than the other two warranty companies that I had in the past. Last time, when my air conditioner went out, techs came and said the unit needed a motor. But I came to find out that I didn't need a motor. The guy from Choice told me I had to pay half. They reneged on the deal and I told them that as soon as my time was up, I would stop and I did. I paid $60 for the guy to come here and half for the motor. I needed to have air 'cause I got three grandbabies in the house.

I filed the claim with Total Home and the issue has not been fixed yet. It took me a while to contact them and it also took time for them to call the contractors to come out. But after I got to speak to somebody, they reacted pretty good. They called me and set me an appointment with a technician two times. The tech was supposed to come that day but they said they had to release him for some other reason. They got another guy to come in within 48 hours after I called about the issue.

With Total Home, they said they're gonna take care of everything other than the parts that are unfixable. The tech saw that the unit needed some electric wire. He did what he was supposed to do and I had no problems with him. He ordered a part. He called me Saturday and said the part was in. Now, I am waiting for him to come and finish it up.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

I've been with Total Home Protection on-and-off for about 20 years. I am gonna check into American Home Shield and a couple of other ones that my other co-workers are telling me about and make sure I’m getting all the coverage I can get. I don’t mind paying my monthly bill, I just want them to be there when I need them. When the water heater had a problem and I called them, they said that my card expired three months prior. I asked, “Why'd you come?" They said that they could re-establish it and it’d take 30 days before I could make another claim.

When I called about a leak around the seal of the toilet, a drippy sink faucet and an outside faucet that was dripping, they didn’t give what I wanted, but I had great service. I thought they covered all the plumbing, however, nothing was covered but the toilet seal. They put a new seal on the toilet and fixed the leak. The contractor was quick. He was young but he knew what he was doing and talking about. Everything was done within an hour. Once he diagnosed what he thought the problem was, he turned the water off, disconnected the toilet, put a new seal in and put it all back together.

Total Home Protection response

Thank you for selecting Total Home Protection for all your home warranty needs. We know your time is valuable so we take feedback very seriously. Your feedback allows us to improve our business and promote the level of service expected from a trusted industry leader. Total Home Protection strives to be a top rated home warranty provider. We have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. We sincerely thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service during normal business hours at 1-800-545-0402.

Original review: July 14, 2019

Someone told me about Total Home Protection and I called them. They had a special going and I went with them. My most recent claim was a refrigerator in the garage, and it was a really easy fix. The freezer part was working and the fan that blows down where the other food was wasn’t. When I called, the guy came out pretty fast. In less than 5 minutes, he was like, “Oh, I know what that is. It’s the fan. The fan stopped working.” You could open it and hear that it wasn’t working. He said, “Okay, let me put an easy fix.” I paid him the copay, and he said he has ordered the part and he’d be out.

A week went by and I called him. He said, “Well, we gotta get approval and after approval, it’s gonna be a little while to get the part.” 10 days went by and I called him up. He said they were waiting for the part. It’s one of those parts that you can go down to the store and pick it up. Amazon has them so I was wondering what the the problem was. I figured that the guy probably had a bigger job that he’d make more money on so he just put mine on the back burner or someone did. I just got fed up and I called back. I said, “You know, if this is what’s gonna be happening, I want my money back. You can keep the year.” They never came back out so I had to turn around and talk with one of the representatives. He said that they had authorized the guy to fix it, so it wasn’t really their fault that they were taking their sweet time fixing it. They made the agreement that they would send me the money, but I haven’t gotten it yet.

Original review: July 4, 2019

Total Home was presented in a list with 10 other warranty companies to take a look at. I kinda looked them all over with the reviews and compared the benefits to the other, but Total Home was pretty much on par with just about everything, covering the majors on any kind of home protection. So, they came in at a reasonable deal, where I was satisfied with the agreement from what I could understand. And then, going on the reviews, I saw that they had worked claims before, and there were a few where people were not so happy. But by and large, I felt like everybody was satisfied where they needed to be.

Recently, I filed a claim because I noticed that the refrigerator was on the blitz. and they just came out and fixed it for the $75 agreement. I got it repaired within about three days because that part had to be ordered for the refrigerator. It was a good experience when I filed the claim. By and large, they got on it. They assured me that somebody would be out there and assigned to it, and I told them how the process worked. Everything was fine. They were pretty prompt and they called me in plenty of time for me to be ready for the person coming on the day that they said they were coming once got they got the part. The contractors were really good too. That guy was a young-ish guy. He came in. He was very nice and he got in here and he did it within 30 minutes. He explained what he was doing and he went ahead and just hooked everything up and it's fine after that. It's been good. I've had no issues with the refrigerator since that time.

I was really well pleased with the service that I got for the price. This is the first time I've ever owned. So, going into it, having the repairs and everything, but knowing that I had a pretty solid protection on my electrical, my plumbing, my appliances, those things that I really felt that I was covered on that. Especially, going forward, that also includes my heat and my air conditioning and making all the way up to 100 feet to the sewer line in the front of the house. And the electrical panel too. All those were really important to me being a homeowner, even though I had an inspection that came back clean. Who knows what awaits you. So, I was glad to have that and I do thoroughly intend on keeping it next year.

Total Home Protection response

Original review: July 3, 2019

When I called Total Home Protection, their representative was awesome. He was not high-pressure. Sometimes, he gave me some options, some specials, and a lot of information. He wasn’t telling me, “Commit right now or else this is gonna go away.” I like that. I don’t like to be pressured to buy anything because I’m one of those people who can’t make up their mind immediately. I think it through and I wait. So, I contacted my husband and he said, “Nah, we have homeowners insurance. We’re fine." He said no. He had some questions, so I called back and reviewed the information with the representative. He answered all my questions. Again, he was very professional and he did tell that at a certain time, he was not gonna be answering the line.

We’re the type of family that once something goes out, we replace it. Some things are gonna last for a certain amount of time. But we’ve been lucky and we haven’t had anything major go wrong with anything we’ve owned. We were affected by Hurricane Isaac a while back. We’ve gotten new appliances and we’ve replaced things. Our home is not that old, so when our dryer had an issue, I thought it was just something minor. And it was. It was fixable. That was my first claim. We’ve been with them close to 2 years and I’ve got a second claim now.

We live in Laplace which is halfway between New Orleans and Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The contractor came from New Orleans. It was a little bit of a drive for him to come here. When I got the email, I contacted him. He didn’t reply immediately. He’s a busy guy, and it’s a small, local company so I gave him a little time. But I did hear from him by text that he would call me later. He was on a job. We did communicate and he was fantastic. He came by. Unfortunately, we had to go on vacation, so that kinda delayed our repair because we weren’t home. I did inform him that we were gonna be out-of-town because he ordered the part and said, “When the part comes in, call me, and I’ll come and install it.”

I had my child who doesn’t live here come by and check on the house and make sure everything was fine. When the part came, she said, “Mom, the part came. You can let your repairman know that it’s here so when you get back in town, you and him can make arrangements.” And that’s how it happened. He was awesome. He responded to my concern immediately. I’m very satisfied with the promptness and efficiency of the contractor that Total Home Protection sent. And I do highly recommend having this type of service because homeowners insurance doesn’t cover everything all the time. Total Home Protection is a good backup protection for our home.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Home Protection?

Original review: June 17, 2020

They promise you everything on the phone but when it gets to the contract every single thing is a lie! This company set me up for a 6-year protection plan. First LIE is that you are covered after 30 days. I was having issues with my garage door opener, I called and guess what? I was told I wasn't insured yet because only 59 days passed and insurance starts on the 60th day!!! I let it pass thinking it was a mistake from the agent that sold the protection plan to me.

Right now three months have passed and my washing machine needs a fix. I had to call them 3 times. Every time they make an appointment with a technician, that technician contacted me to cancel the appt saying Total Home Protection NEVER PAY them. I am in the 3rd week now, with the 3rd technician turning down the appointment, with many hours spent on the phone just to fix my washing machine! Can't imagine if I had a bigger problem going on.

Since the problem is not fixed, after many calls to managers that can't do anything to help you, I am now trying to cancel the plan. Of course they want to charge me for the months my house was "covered" (which I'm willing to accept) and to charge me a cancel fee... Really??? Do I have to pay for something that is their fault??? Should I pay them a cancel fee because they are unable to offer the service they promised??? Give yourself a favor. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! Call your local technicians and ask them which Insurance really works. This is a TOTAL SCAM!

Original review: June 15, 2020

I feel like I have been had. I signed up for this home warranty due to their advertised great customer service. I have paid my monthly premiums faithfully through direct deposit. I filed a claim for my dishwasher back around 5/26/20. I received a email that the claim was assigned to a tech who would be at my residence on 5/26/20 to investigate the issue between 9am and 12pm, I waited until 1pm and since I had heard nothing further I reached out to the tech and after several call and text messages he returned my call and stated Total Home hadn't scheduled me, however he did show up around 3:30pm and diagnosed the problem.

I paid the required fee and he informed me he would contact total home on Monday to get approval for the repair. I heard nothing for a week. I contacted the tech around 6/2 and was told he was waiting on the part, he would contact the dealer today, get the part and let me know when he would be out to fix the item. I heard nothing after that so I contacted Total Home Customer service around 6/8 about the issue, the representative on the phone told me he didn't see where the repair tech ever submitted for repair authorization so he reached out to the tech who told him he was going to submit the information in 10 minutes.

I contacted Total Home again on 6/11 and was told the information still wasn't submitted and the authorization department would be following up with the tech, and as soon as it is authorized someone will reach out to me. I work in customer service and a customer shouldn't have to chase a company to fulfill their contracted obligation. When it's time for them to get paid the take my agreed upon amount without issue thus I am paying for a service that I can't utilize, I guess that makes me the dummy, BE WARY of this Company.

Original review: June 12, 2020

Called about my dishwasher not draining. Mike ** came and verified it did not drain. He traveled 40 miles as he said he is from Chicago. I live in Salem, WI. I paid him 60.00 and he told me he would relay this info to company. This occurred on May 12th. After numerous calls and being left on hold for 45 minutes before giving up and being promised a call back, I finally and relentlessly kept calling.

One time, it was established that it was not draining, and I requested what the contract said; that if it could not be fixed, it would be replaced. I was then placed on hold again for another 40 minutes. Yesterday, I called back again. I was able to determine that they were told there was no problem with my dishwasher as it was running fine. The same guy denied he told me it was indeed not working before. He lied. Also, Mike ** lied. I was told they have to believe him, or if I wanted to, he could come back if he wanted to, or I could get my own 2nd opinion.

I told them I did not wish him to return as he was very unprofessional on first visit, bringing someone with him who just stood there, looking around my house. He also offered to sell me something of his own. My contract read that if my dishwasher could not be fixed, it would be replaced with one of equal value. This is what this company was avoiding. I then requested a cancellation on my account. After 40 more minutes on hold, I was able to talk to a resolution center, who tried to get me to gather a 2nd opinion. I finally have a cancellation confirmation in my email to bring to my bank as I do not trust them.

Original review: June 10, 2020

Total Home Protection said on account of the virus that’s going around, they didn’t know how long it would be to get someone out to fix my well pump. And we didn’t have any water. It just quit. They said I could get somebody around here where I live if I know of somebody to call so that’s what I did. The contractor talked with THP several times while they did it. And I’ve turned in my reimbursement claim form but I still haven’t got a check. I’m not real happy with it. Another thing that I did not like is that I pay so much a month and I wouldn’t have to pay but $60 for someone to come out and fix it.

Original review: May 28, 2020

Though the people Total Home has sent out for my claims have been fine, their claims process was not what I was told when I was sold the policies for several different rental properties. When we had a fridge die at one of the rentals, I called Total Home. When their repairman said that he wasn't able to find the part needed any longer, Total Home Offered me $100. The fridge wasn't that old so it was a bit annoying that I spent $300 when $100 was all Total Home wanted to give me on it. I complained and then they said they would give me $300. When my warranty was sold to me by an over-enthusiastic salesman, I was told that if Total Home's contractor couldn't fix my issue, Total Home would replace things. I've had different claims with them and that's never been an option. They just want to buy me out for almost nothing and be done with my claim.

Total Home Protection’s coverage exclusions

In the Total Home Protection contract they provide a full list of coverage exclusions. Pre-existing conditions are not covered, which is standard to most home warranty contracts. Additionally, there may be parts or components of covered items that are excluded from coverage. For example, while Air Conditioning Systems are covered under the Platinum plan, replacement filters for those systems are not provided as part of that coverage. With appliances, you’ll often see items like knobs, dials, shelving and any removable accessories excluded from coverage as well.

In the event that a claim is denied due to a coverage exclusion, you have a right to get a second opinion from another service provider.

Total Home Protection’s coverage limits

Total Home Protection places coverage limits on certain items. This is the maximum dollar amount they will pay out per contract term for specific items. If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds this amount, you would be responsible for covering the remainder of the cost yourself.

Total Home Protection’s per contract term cap is $1,500 for “access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement” of all covered items. In addition, they have set coverage limits per item in certain areas.

ItemTotal Home Protection coverage limit
    Refrigerant$10 per pound
    Lawn sprinkler systems, refrigerator ice maker, septic tank pumping$200 per term
    Ceiling and exhaust fans$400 per term
    Ductwork, electrical system, limited roof leak, plumbing system and stoppages, pools and spas, septic system, sump pump, water heater, water softener, whirlpool bathtubs$500 per term

If a plumbing claim requires a service provider to break through walls or ceilings to make the repair, Total Home Protect will also cover up to $500 per claim to get the wall or ceiling back to a rough finish by hanging or patching drywall.

How to request service from Total Home Protection

You can file a claim 24/7 online or by calling the Total Home Protection claims department toll-free.

1. Submit your claim to Total Home Protection.
    2. Total Home Protection assigns one of their approved service providers to your case within two business days (four on weekends and holidays).
    3. The service provider will contact you to schedule your appointment.
    4. You will pay your trade service call fee (this will be specified in your contract, typically $60).

Total Home Protection guarantees labor for 30 days and parts for 90 days. Should a failure occur due to the labor provided on your repair within 30 days, Total Home Protection will send another technician out to fix the problem at no additional cost to you.

Total Home Protection FAQ

What states does Total Home Protection cover?
    Total Home Protection covers 39 states. At this time, coverage is not available in California, Iowa, Maine, Massachusettes, Nevada, New York, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington or Wyoming.
    Is there a limit on the number of claims?
    There is no limit on the number of claims you can make during your contract term. However, there may be dollar limits and caps on covered items per contract term.
    How do I cancel Total Home Protection?
    If you cancel within 30 days of ordering, you will receive a full refund. Cancellation after 30 days will receive a pro-rated refund for the remainder of the contract and a $50 cancellation fee.
    What happens if a covered item cannot be repaired?
    If an item cannot be repaired, a replacement will be provided. If the cost of a replacement exceeds your coverage limit cap, Total Home Protection may provide a cash payout instead.

Is Total Home Protection worth it?

Total Home Protection provides plenty of coverage for homeowners. With monthly costs in line with the industry average and a below-average service call fee, we think Total Home Protection is worth it for homeowners looking for extra protection for their appliances and systems. A warranty can pay for itself with one repair.

Total Home Protection Company Information