2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties
ServicePlus Home Warranty

3.2/5 (378 ratings)
ServicePlus (Formerly Total Home Protection)

About ServicePlus (Formerly Total Home Protection)

ServicePlus Home Warranty offers two home warranty plans for customers to choose from. Coverage is available for major systems and appliances regardless of age, make or model. Technicians are prescreened for licensing and insurance to take care of major replacements and repairs.

Pros

• Free online quote
  • Add-on coverage options
  • Large network of technicians

Cons

• Not available in all states
  • Some complaints about support

Bottom Line

ServicePlus Home Warranty offers competitive home warranty services. Between its two plans and add-ons, THP can provide coverage for most major systems and household appliances. However, availability and costs vary by location.

ServicePlus Home Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ServicePlus Home Warranty?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ServicePlus Home Warranty?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

My central A.C. went out at the beginning of a heatwave this year. They took a month of 120+ inside temps to finally say get your own person to fix and we’ll reimburse. This after I’ve had a heat stroke that caused a mini stroke. It’s now Oct, been promised the check in mail since June. And I am now living in assisted living because of their failure to provide timely service to begin with. But they keep telling me the check is scheduled to print with the next batch. But no one knows when that will be.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

My experience with Service Plus Home Warranty has been less than pleasant. When speaking with the sales rep I was assured that they would be able to service my location (a rural location 3 mile outside of Paris, Texas) without issue. My woes began when my garage door opener quit opening the second week of September. I called them up and started a claim. A week or so later I received an email giving me 2 options: A: Find my own technician and they would reimburse me up to $100 or B: They could continue to search for a company to take care of my problem. I opted for B...

A week or so later they offered the same solutions with an increase of the reimbursement amount to $150, I again opted for solution B... A week later they contacted me (via email) providing me with a number to call to schedule my appointment with a technician, only the owner of the company explained that he had no affiliation with Service Plus. I called Service Plus and after a lengthy hold period I spoke with a customer service representative who was unable to explain what happened and referred me to his supervisor. I explained to her the error and she adamantly insisted that no error had been made and that their system showed the company did indeed have an association with Service Plus. I explained that the owner of the company said he did not but would come out and give me an estimate of the repair cost.

The customer service supervisor then said she needed to reschedule the appointment and that if the aforementioned company came out that they would not be able to offer any compensation. She said it would be escalated and sent to dispatch in order to find a suitable company. I made the statement that it seemed unfair that I was having to wait because of a mistake made by Service Plus. It was at this time that she began insisting that Service Plus had made no errors or mistakes. The phone call ended with her insisting that if I wanted the issue resolved that it no way implied that they were in error.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

Updated on 10/07/2021: It’s been over 22 days since our FIRST claim (9/15) and more than 10 days since our LAST claim (9/27) and SPHW hasn’t even found a technician for EITHER OF OUR CLAIMS! Thank goodness we can still use our tub, albeit without using the jets. But our garbage disposal is leaking out the bottom of the unit and needed to be replaced. We haven’t been able to use our sink or dishwasher for over 10 DAYS which is ridiculous! Tired of waiting for SPHW to find us a technician, we called a couple of supply houses, found the same disposer, ordered it and it arrived today! I’m pretty sure a friend is coming over to install it for us next week.

SPHW gives you the option of finding your own installer but they have to be licensed for SPHW to reimburse customers. What kind of service business doesn’t have technicians available 24/7 to repair or replace customer claims? A few years ago, my husband (a retired electrician) would have installed the new unit himself but we are seniors and he has Parkinson’s so he’s physically unable to do most household repairs now. Our 1st claim made on 9/15 for a Whirlpool tub leaking only when jets turned on. Again SPHW was unable to find a technician to work on a jetted tub. To find leak we hired a someone to cut access in wall to locate problem. In accordance with SPHW contract pump would be cover but not jets and not any costs incurred to gain access to problem. So far SPHW has reimbursed us ‘0’ in claims, ‘0’ for any repairs and/or ‘0’ money for replacements of any claim items. These are the reasons we’re canceling our contract.

I have recently filed a dispute claim with our credit card company. Our credit card company has put a stop on all future payments to SPHW. Our credit card company is also REFUNDING ALL OF OUR PAYMENTS that we have made to SPHW since June (1st payment date). SPHW has been one BIG headache for us! As I stated in my previous SPHW complaint it’s next to impossible to get talk with anyone, waiting times are extremely long and if you’re lucky enough to reach a rep you will hear “unfortunately we don’t have any available technicians at this time”!

Original Review: Recently filed 2 claims since purchasing warranty in May. I have NOT BEEN CONTACTED BY A TECHNICIAN TO REPAIR OR REPLACE EITHER ITEM. I’m disappointed, frustrated & feel I have been ripped off. It was high pressure sales, the salesman (Jim **) changed cost of program several times during his pitch…from $32 per mo w/ 2 mos free, $37.50 for 12 mos (ACTUALLY PAYING $40 PER MO FROM START (5/6/21)) & was told service calls were $60 & just found out they’re $75!

Almost impossible to talk with a “live” person & always put on hold although was told would be able to contact them 24/7. Also told repair techs call customers within 24-48 hrs to set up appointment I have yet to be contacted for either claims (9/15 & 9/27). Last claim was for garbage disposal leaking from bottom of unit so we have been unable to use our kitchen sinks & dishwasher for more than a wk. We could have fixed ourselves the day we found water leaking under it but was told it has to be a licensed plumber and we’re still waiting for a call from one of their techs. Highly dissatisfied & want our money back. They have done absolutely nothing for us except waste our time (trying to talk w/ a rep/holding on phone) & take our money.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

Washing machine was diagnosed by your representative as needing a new control unit. He advised me it’s a 369 dollars part. Your company declined to repair or replace the washer. They offered me a 250 to basically go away while lying that the part was not available. Not true. Parts are available from Whirlpool and other dealers online as your own representative stated. I will not be satisfied nor will I go away or even think or recommending your company. I wish I never switched companies. I was with American Home Shield for years and have never had any issues with them. They even replaced a dishwasher while they said no parts were available.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Save your money. Over promised on website about how easy it is to get service. Been waiting 3 weeks for service on a microwave. No local techs and basically they wanted me to find my own tech with my own money and then get reimbursed. Sure I requested a cancellation and refund, then they buy one at Best Buy and the installer was a no show and no one has a clue what happened to the microwave.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

I have read all the negative remarks for this company and I totally agree with everyone. Evidently this company does not care what their customers think about them, they continue to cheat, lie, take their money and run without providing any service whatsoever. They have changed their name so what does that accomplish? I will continue to write these negative remarks until I am reimbursed all the money I have spent with them and I will never give up. This is NOT the first time I have dealt with subhuman species like these, but they have never dealt with anyone like me.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

They have been horrible from the beginning. I have waiting on a check for 300.00 for a stove that could not be fixed. The stove cost 1400.00 to replace it so I have been without a stove since the end of July.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I literally wasted $1000 with this THP. They kept changing their policies and wouldn't cover any of the claims. They couldn't get contractors in time defeating the whole purpose of going with them. I wouldn't chose them again.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

Bought a policy online in May. "Total Home Protection". Filed an online claim on the 20th or 21st of Aug. Called after hearing nothing the first day. Was told it takes 24-58 hrs to get email assigning claim. Asked if I could get reimbursed because sewer was stopped up and I needed it fixed asap. Was told to call customer service Monday. I was emailed a reimbursement form that I can't print and told I couldn't be reimbursed for unauthorized repairs. NEVER RECEIVED ASSIGNING EMAIL! I only knew about name change when I filed the claim. "Service Plus"

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

Our dryer went out and the automated line kept asking for my zip code continually. Couldn’t get past it. Then I tried the website and it wouldn’t take my email either. I paid good money for something that isn’t working.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

When I signed up, I was promised the sun, moon and stars. “If we can’t fix the problem, we will replace your appliance up to $3,000!” When I called, they said they had no one to repair my device. I had to call a repair person and they had to spend 2 hours giving details to Total Home Protection. I had to hear how angry the repair person was. Each time I’ve called, I’m transferred from one person to another. Calls frequently drop. No repair or diagnostic person calls me. I have to call multiple times to report no calls from technicians. I ended up getting promised a $250 check for an expensive appliance; red print no one told me about.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

Total Home Protection...is a scam. They signed me up with all the promises of service. My very first need for service has been totally ignored. Now I find out they are no longer in business.. What do I do?

ServicePlus Home Warranty response

Thank you for selecting Service Plus Home Warranty (formerly Total Home Protection) for all your home warranty needs. We know your time is valuable so we take feedback very seriously. Your feedback allows us to improve our business and promote the level of service expected from a trusted industry leader. Service Plus Home Warranty strives to be a top rated home warranty provider. We have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. We sincerely thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service during normal business hours at 1-800-545-0402.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

I called on July 01 for service on my heater as it was starting to clack and make a loud noise. A week went by, no response. P/C to THP. "Sorry all the service guys are busy with the heatwave in Washington." I am in Alaska, Promise of a phone call back. Never happened. 2 weeks later, I call again. "Oh sorry, M manager says he will get on it today. Someone will call you later today." No phone call ever came. 3 weeks later, I call again. Same response. "A manager will contact you, maybe by email." Again. never happened. I called at the end of July and finally got a call back with a name and number of a heating specialist. This is the worst ever, and I suggest you look up reviews before deciding to sign up with these yahoos. It took a month for them to respond to me. All I can say is thank God it's not winter.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

Total Home Protection at 1-800-545-0402 totalhomeprotection.com claims to be Consumer Affairs Accredited; however, I do not see them on the drop down menu above. Regardless, I am trying to get reimbursed on a claim that was submitted on 13 Mar 2021 and all I get is a bunch of excuses. Please look into this matter!!

Original review: July 27, 2021

Put claim in 7/9/21. Has been waiting ever since. Was told he would be out on 7/26 9am-12n. Didn’t come nor did he call, I have call several times and left several messages and haven’t heard back as of today date. Also as call the office about it was told at 7:20 from Tracy would check and call back, no call back, call at 10:18am. John said he would check and call back. No call, call 3:07pm. Put on hold for 33 minutes. I hung up and call back. Click on payment and been on hold for 43 minutes. I am getting ready to hang up again. I can’t reach anyone. I would like to speak with someone, I would just cancel the account but then I would have to wait another 30 days for a new company. Thanks. Faye **

Original review: July 24, 2021

I live in Arizona and it’s hot. My AC went out. I called several times and finally was assigned a technician and was told to contact him. I called him every day for a solid week and each time he would say, “Sorry I’m busy, I call you back please.” Ok each day I waited and no call back. When I would contact the office they would tell me I would receive an email in 24 to 48 hours. I got no answers from anyone and this went on for 2 weeks. Needless to say it left me very unhappy with Total Home Protection. I plan on canceling my plan and getting a refund.

Original review: July 22, 2021

We spoke to over 7 Customer Service reps and each one told us they were going to transfer us to a claims manager. After 7 Customer Service people, and 2 hours on hold, I continued to get disconnected. We still have not talked to a claims manager. I hope this message will help to get us some help.

ServicePlus Home Warranty response

Original review: July 13, 2021

Jesse ** was my point of contact with Total Home Protection. He was very friendly, professional and knowledgeable about my home protection policy. All my questions and concerns were answered. He is a great asset to your company! I am looking forward to having my home repairs covered again after a horrible experience with "Choice Home Warranty".

ServicePlus Home Warranty response

Thank you for selecting Total Home Protection for all your home warranty needs. We know your time is valuable so we take feedback very seriously. Your feedback allows us to improve our business and promote the level of service expected from a trusted industry leader. Total Home Protection strives to be a top rated home warranty provider. We have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. We sincerely thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service during normal business hours at 1-800-545-0402.

Original review: July 12, 2021

Just signed up, so all I can speak to is the agent's performance. George gave me all the options available attempting to reduce the monthly costs and answered all my questions about the coverage and program. So far so good.

Original review: July 12, 2021

The salesperson who signed me up did a fantastic job. Then I had to use the service and everything went down the tubes. They don't have technicians that want to go out for 45 - 75 bucks. So you will be forced to go search for your own tech, try telling the pool company you are working with Total Home Protection and they will hang up on you because pretty much all customers and also businesses are waiting on checks from this awful company. TOTAL TAKE YOUR MONEY AND RUN. Have burned all their bridges so no contractors want to work with them.

Anyway, I found my own tech to come out and replace my pool motor that was broken. THP said the claim was approved on 3/26/2021. They said it could take up to 8 weeks to get a check.... ok, we are at 17 weeks now and when I call them they say we can do two things, forward you to the manager or have billing call you back. These 2 options just started this week because the last 5 weeks they were saying, "We run and send checks out every Friday," and if I call Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday without fail for the past 5 weeks they would say, "It's too late for this week so next week we will be sending that check." So now they aren't saying that and just saying, "Would you like to speak to my supervisor or have billing call me back?" Anyway, I've been searching online for reviews and that's all I see online is they never send checks and just screw everyone..

Please go get covered through someone else, They have one job and that's to get you a tech and they can't even do that. You will literally pay them and you will be doing their job and even if you get them to approve something they WILL NEVER SEND YOU THE MONEY!!! RUN RUN RUN RUN AWAY,,, you will save so much time and money NOT going with these clowns... Literally the worse company I have ever done business with!

ServicePlus Home Warranty response

Original review: July 8, 2021

This company is a total RIP OFF SCAM, they take your money, won't fix anything and then won't refund your money like they claim they will. I bought this thru Tom **, who was so nice when he was taking my money, but was only able to get him one time on his so called personal number and then he sent me directly to a so called manager. My refrigerator quit working, they sent some 1 star rated company out to look at it three weeks later, who told me that they were only supposed to look at it and not repair it. I spent 850 dollars to get it repaired and when I called up to cancel my membership and get my money back, they claimed they would send me a check for the repairs which they never did. I am reporting them to the BBB of New Jersey and the Attorney General of New Jersey. Don't waste your money with this RIP OFF Company.

ServicePlus Home Warranty response

Original review: July 2, 2021

Our oven went out in February 2021. It took 3 business days for someone to call us to make an appointment to come look at it. It took several more days to determine they were not going to fix it. We were informed they were going to give us money to replace it. $250.00 for a $1500.00 oven. I have spent many hours on hold and many phone calls trying resolve this issue. They say they can prorate everything and our contract does not say that. No one will call back and it’s been 5 months and still no money. This was a complete waste of money. Don’t do business with Total Home Protection!!

ServicePlus Home Warranty response

Based on the terms and conditions of the policy the unit was over 10 years old and the depreciated value of your unit was $0.00. An offer was made accepted and mailed to you. in February to settle the claim.

Original review: June 29, 2021

I was on hold for 1.5 hours. Extremely slow response time. I have purchased 4 new homes and WILL NOT be buying any new services from you. The only reason I gave you 1 star was because I had to select at least 1. In actuality I give you 0 stars. TERRIBLE service.

ServicePlus Home Warranty response

Original review: June 28, 2021

Stinks!! Unreliable. Will share with Business associates, friends and family members. You guys are Very BAD. Will not recommend your company to anyone. I have been with your company for 1.5 years on 2 properties, Maryland and Florida. am in the real estate business and property management field, so trust me, I will spread the word. Yours Truly....

ServicePlus Home Warranty response

Original review: June 25, 2021

Made a complaint to them online here at Consumer Affairs. Just like every complaint to THP you get a very generic unrelated response. This company truly does not care about customer service. Please keep your money and shop elsewhere.

ServicePlus Home Warranty response

In regards to your claim, you were denied for a roof claim stating shingles were the failure which the warranty does not cover. You disagreed and stated you would seek a second opinion which never happened. That was on March 30th. Less than a month later you cancelled.

Original review: June 23, 2021

Never received a policy number or coverage information. I’m feeling like I got scammed out of $1500. Call me today before I call my credit card company and deny the charge. This can’t be a scam can it? Call me today please.

ServicePlus Home Warranty response

Original review: June 18, 2021

Absolutely NO customer service or return phone call after being on hold for over one hour. Called representative direct only to be put back in the "holding" queue for another thirty minutes with still no reply. Misrepresented coverage on major item to be repaired after service tech sent in rightful paperwork.

THE ISSUE IS WITH NON REPAIRABLE LEAKS IN THE CONDENSER COILS

THESE NONREPAIRABLE PINHOLE LEAKS FORM DUE TO CORROSION BUILDUP WITHIN THE COIL

PICTURES SHOW THE CONDENSER FINS ARE BENT AND IMPACTED WHICH LEADS TO THE COMPOSITION OF THE COILS DEGRADING AND RESULTING IN FREON LEAKS

THIS SHOULD BE ADDRESSED DURING ROUTINE MAINTENANCE CHECKS

PER SECTION 7-D FAILURES DUE TO CORROSION NOT COVERED

PER SECTION 7-D FAILURES DUE TO LACK OF MAINTENANCE NOT COVERED

Original review: June 12, 2021

Called on May 24, 2021....and to this day, there has not been any call from a repair company thus far to come look at our unit. I have called and called...been placed on hold for hours...left a call back number and when I received a call back, it was again on hold with endless waiting for nothing.

Original review: June 12, 2021

My electric stove top flipped circuit breaker in fuse box. Total Home sent action appliance and they said stove switch was cause. Total home would not pay for repair because it was not normal wear. Called GE service tech and he found out the cooking unit on unit was bad and had nothing to do with switch. All the cooking services was working except the front surface and the unit need replacing. Total home protection did all they could to not fix unit . They have poor customer service and will not return calls. I have spoken to several people and they do not call back. Very poor communication. Total home said if I would get another diagnosis they would consider it, they will do anything not to pay a claim and I will never use. This claim was put in on 4/26/2021 and still with conflict resolution department and no end in sight.

To Whom It May Concern:

Thank you for contacting us with the above referenced complaint. We treat each complaint with the utmost respect and use this feedback to better serve our valued customers. Understandably there are two sides to every story and always look for a fair resolution between all parties.

Customer reported a power surge which is not covered. We offered goodwill and customer accepted.

All claims have been properly serviced in accordance with the Service Agreement - all contracts have inclusions as well as exclusions. We are committed to providing a positive customer experience and doing the right thing for all our customers, contractors, employees, and our company.

We have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. If you have any further questions, please contact us at 1-800-545-0402.

Original review: June 7, 2021

I purchased a 3 year home warranty plan thru Total Home Protection with the hopes of never having to use it but there just in case. My fridge started to ice up and I called and had a tech diagnose it and he said it was something he was used to seeing and just needed to order 2 parts thru THP to repair. 2 weeks later THP called and said that based on the diagnosis they deemed it better to replace the appliance and said they would send a check in place of the appliance. They said the replacement cost of my fridge (a full size fridge) was $350. That won't even cover 1/2 the replacement cost of the Fridge & the policy states it would at least be similar features, size & efficiency.

We had a home warranty on another home and had to use it for the furnace and Hot water heater and that process was seamless and no hassle. I expected the same service from THP and that is not the case. Right now with the service I have received I will NOT be renewing this policy or ever referring them to a client going forward. I could have saved what I spent on the policy and replaced my Fridge with the exact same model!

ServicePlus Home Warranty Company Information