Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.14/5

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Thumbtack Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

I don’t even know where to start. I believe I have been using thumbtack pro for 5 to 6 years now. At first it was great, before home advisor bought the company, sometime in 2019, or possibly late 2018 (I can’t say that statement is completely timely accurate, as I heard it threw the grapevine but with the massive changes they made to the company I believe it).

At first leads would go to a handful of people in the area and those targeted could bid on the job, which was fair. The leads at that time, were at most, $7 per lead. Now I’ve been billed automatically up to $80 per lead without even agreeing to speak with the customer and I have been billed upwards of $80 for a job that realistically cost $150 to have done which ends up costing my company money. I’ve spoken with the CSR’s and I’ve made the multiple requests for the wrongful billing, but it falls on deaf ears and doesn’t go anywhere.

If by some miracle you get a compassionate worker, they do give the money back and it’s a credit to your account and Thumbtack takes that credit and randomly starts sending a lot of irrelevant job leads to get that money back plus more. They also have made their website to disable or hide your account from customers unless you turn on the automatic billing process.

Now with this billing process they take every little tiny part of leads and break them down by more categories so they can make more from you. For example: Let’s say you’re a general contractor, you set doors, hang drywall, remodel bathrooms, roofs, etc. You have to log into your account and turn on automatic payment on roughly a minimum amount per each category. So for example drywall requests you have to set your auto paid leads to roughly $70-$1000. Roofs, bathroom remodels, interior doors, exterior doors, and lock sets you have to set at minimum as well to get leads. This means you’re opening Thumbtack into your bank account for thousands of dollars a week. Another example of lead siphoning: you get a lead and they bill you $30 off the 70$ to do the job, that leaves you $40 and next week it goes back to $70 for the same lead type. These leads have been as high as $99.

Most of the clients we work with are real customers, but 9 time out 10, the job descriptions aren’t even close to what they tell you it is, which is relevant due someone requesting you because the forms they are filling out they aren’t always honest on, and they are forced to select certain categories to make it submittable, and we are charged for an interaction that wasn’t our fault.

In September 2020 I get a message on my Facebook business account from someone that was upset because Thumbtack would not allow them to get in contact with me on their website, which I found to be really odd. So I Google search my company, clicked on Thumbtack, attempted to request a quote, and I could not request a quote from myself. Thumbtack also would not take me to the form to fill out for what work I would have been requesting to be done. So I documented it and later received additional messages on Facebook from more people stating the same thing about not being able to request me, and they were pretty upset about it, because they wasted 2 hours searching for an alternate means to contact me, through no fault of my own, for a 5 min conversation.

I called thumbtack and made a complaint about it, but again, it fell on deaf ears. A little more time goes by and I get a call from a potential customer, who tells me that he is a software designer and stated verbatim: “You need to get rid of thumbtack. They are setting things up so people can not contact you for some reason”. I know someone reading this is going to say why didn’t they just request someone else. Well, I’m sure 1000s of people I didn’t have a chance to speak with probably did. But when you get that person that reads through all of your reviews and likes what you do and how you do it, they shouldn’t have to spend an additional two hours of their time just to try and find a means to contact me when they are already on Thumbtack.

Today I had a potential customer who was tentatively setting a set of days for me to possibly come see their home on, but I admittedly forgot to get back with them the day we’d agreed to just talk about scheduling a face to face meeting on, and they were allowed to give me a 1 star review stating that I had not showed up for an appointment that was never made or scheduled to be made. I again called thumbtack and they went into my message and read it, and thumbtack and told me I did not set a time or place to meet with the customer and didn’t even accept the job, but they refused to remove it, and instead said, “well with your reviews you could probably get it back if you wanted”. So now I’m here and looking to lawyer up and join this lawsuit to keep others from being victimized by Thumbtack.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

I purchased some amount of credits and was using them for a while. Found it was too expensive but planned to return periodically. Time went by. When I logged into my account last month, they denied me access unless I agreed to a background check. I've nothing to hide but in principle did not want this company, or the company they hire to do that.

Thumbtack is denying me access to my account unless I submit to a background check. There was no background check requirement when I purchased the credits and I would not have if that had been their policy. They changed the policies and denied me access to my account, credits, or a refund, unless I submit to a personal inquiry.

I gave them money under agreement of their then-current policies. I would not have signed up for an account or prepaid credits under current policies and should not be held to (forced to) a personal inquiry performed by who knows who. A no-refund policy presumes the company continues to provide the service paid for. Thumbtack is trying to keep "Pros" credit-purchase balances but deny them access unless they submit to a background check that was not agreed to at the time of purchase.

Get buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

Subscribed to this company. They keep charging my account just for sending Email to my address, calling it leads, the frequency of automatic withdrawals is high. They never respond to my enquiry about this or requests to refund charges, they just keep charging! I ended up canceling my account, yet I am still receiving their toxic so called "leads"!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Thumbtack will charge you whether you accept a lead or not. So in my case, I paint murals and do illustration gigs. I thought Thumbtack would be a good place to find more business. I accepted that you will be charged for contacted clients, whether you land the gig or not. That made sense. But then I started getting charged for getting contacted by clients, even when I didn't respond. They say since the client saw my profile on their website and reached out to me, they have the right to charge me. That doesn't make any sense. If it wasn't for that practice I would still use Thumbtack, but I don't want to be charged for some random person sending me an email if I do not respond.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

The crew was very friendly and was very pleasant to work with. In a time where all roofing contractors are giving you two month before they can show up, Sonny accepted the project even though they were booked and completed the job on time right before the rains. I recommend them for your next roofing project.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

Do not use Thumbtack by any means. I am a professional bookkeeper and I offer my services through a Thumbtack Pro profile. It's free for customers/clients to use and reach out to pros (services providers like me) but whenever I am contacted by a potential lead, I have to pay (also I have to pay automatically). My leads used to be about $6 to $8, which seems fair. I understand that I can't get 100% of leads to convert to paying clients, so if I lose a few dollars, that's fine. However Thumbtack has raised its price steadily over the past 1.5 years from April of 2019 to now, November 2020.

They expect you to pay automatically for leads, however they don't guarantee a phone number or email to contact the lead you paid for. So regardless of payment, you may never hear back from the person you quickly responded to. The average Pro in my profession responds in 4 hours, but I routinely respond in minutes. Yesterday they charged me $19.40. They didn't give me a phone number or a way to contact the client. So I paid $19.40 for literally nothing. Believe me when I tell you that you are much better off advertising elsewhere. Thumbtack is a total rip off.

Additionally, they taunt you with this: "Pros with at least 3 reviews get more leads." I have reviews on Google. But you can only import those reviews ONE time. So that means as my business grows, I have no way to show this on Thumbtack. I have to inconvenience my clients by asking them to leave another review just on Thumbtack because they don't allow me to import the Google reviews more than once. Why don't I delete the Google reviews that I imported and reimport them? Oh, that's a great question! Turns out I can't do that either. Isn't Thumbtack awesome?

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

I will start from the beginning. Your employee called my personal work looking for landscapers since the company was short on landscapers in my area. I said I would help out and talk to upper management and corporate (VPs) and recommend Thumbtack to get customers and to fulfill their needs as well. I spoke with someone with the last name Verkic I notified him I used Thumbtack as well for face painting and I enjoyed the service ok so far. We ended the conversation. He called me back and spoke to me again and said I spoke with my manager and he was interested in us helping you with your face painting leads. I was like "OH that is wonderful. Sure!" He told me that Thumbtack would give me $500 credit, and make me a priority (number #1 in leads). I thought this was awesome.

Well when they tell you some things are too good to be true. IT IS! This guy failed to mention I would be charged $300 to get this "credit." So I was charged $300 which has caused my account to overdraft and be short on my mortgage this month. DO YOUR EVEN RECORD YOUR CONVERSATIONS? This Verkic guy never went through the contract with me. Rushed me through and took advantage of my kindness. This is appalling as I have asked for a manager or upper management to call me and their excuse is emailing is quicker yet this is taking FOREVER and I am pretty sure I am going grey in the time period I have been waiting and stressing about this. You stole my money PERIOD.

I will continue to warn people about your company that you are scamming pros by making fake leads, and discriminate against African Americans by removing their accounts. I DO NOT want a response on here that you have contacted me to resolve this. YOU SEND ME COPY AND PASTED responses and it's a JOKE! Until I am refunded my $300 I WILL continue to post and warn others about your scam, and how your BILLIONAIRE CEO is robbing innocent people during a pandemic.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

Thumbtack is the worst spam in so many levels. If I could give them a zero I would gladly do so. I am going to share my experience to bring light in their evil activities. Background information: I had been a loyal Thumbtack Pro client since 2018 with a 5 star rating.

1 - Window Shoppers:

All the way up to prior COVID-19, I was getting cheap clients, was not breaking event, however my goals was to build a portfolio, so I was willing to take the loss.

2 - Fake Clients and messages:

After COVID-19 hit, 100% of my lead were just window shoppers, did not reply back even though I have an average of 20 minute response time, which is insanely quick given that their average top pro replies in 4 hours. Here I am a top rated professional, who has invested over $2000 to receive fake messages from window shopper with ZERO BOOKINGS.

3 - Open Robbery:

I had specifically set my account to not accept inquiries from customers who need 5 or more hours of coverage and customers who are unsure of their budget. Guest what did I get charged for? You guessed it right, I was charged exactly for what I said I did not want.

4 - More Robbery:

I had set my Thumbtack calendar no show me as unavailable for a few days I was traveling and had no internet access so customers won't reach out to me and I get AUTOMATICALLY CHARGE. Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that when customer reach out to you, even before you accept their request you GET CHARGED. So, guess what I got charged for? You guessed it, I was charged exactly for what I said I did not want.

5 - One sided policy:

This is an understatement, because their entire operation is solely based on one-sided policies that ONLY benefit them and even when they contradict their own policies they will blame it on a newbie agent lack of training. If you don't believe me, simply take a look at their Pro policy.

6 - Customer Care who just don't care:

I challenge you to call Thumbtack in an attempt to speak to someone about anything. They will never answer and you will literally listen to an automated message with only one option to send a text message to resolve whatever it is you are trying to take care of. However, when you finally out of frustration send a text message, their agent will deflect your questions, waste your time play dumb, blame you the caller and even contradict their own policy to justify their charges to your account.

I wish I had anything positive to say about dumping $2,000 for fake leads, one-sided policies and customer care who just don't about anything but steal your hard earned money.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

I've been using the service since 2016 when it first started, whereas a Pro I would pay "per lead that I speak with". That's around $4 - $9 per lead. Today, I log in after COVID-19 and find out that Thumbtack has changed the rules to benefit them - they make you pay $68.05 per lead period. It no longer matters if you spoke to the lead or not. This totally contradicts what they have posted on their website which reads "You only pay if the customer replies to your message". They do not do what they are promising. It's false. It is misleading.

Let me say that once more: The new policy is you pay for any lead they send, $68.05 each lead, regardless if you get a chance to speak with the person (yet alone if you are hired for any job). It's a total scam. Any freelancer or contractors should not use this service they will be dumping hundreds of dollars down the drain and having nothing to show for it. Customer service? Non-existent. They only state that you pay for every lead $68.05 they deliver regardless if you are hired or talked to the lead.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

If I could give this a ZERO, I would. I've been looking for weeks now to get a skilled carpenter to do a fairly uncomplicated project. HOWEVER, there is a threshold in the app where you select anything below a Level of Effort arbitrarily determined by the app, you get an immediate, "Pro is unavailable". But if you select a LARGE project, VOILA: Pro is suddenly available. ???? What kind of BS service do you call this? Can you speak to anyone at this joint, NOPE!! Here's an grade school basic rule: If a "PRO" does a great job with a small job, HE WILL GET CALL BACKS FOR THE BIGGER JOBS!! Thumbtack is an utterly useless referral service and violates a COMMON SENSE approach to supporting a microeconomy approach towards skill sharing. Local "PROS" develop business through positive word-of-mouth endorsements for ANY SIZE JOB!!!! CAPEESH??

Thumbtack author review by Joseph Truini

Thumbtack is a website that connects homeowners with service providers in their local area. This online company offers more than 200,000 active professionals available in all 50 U.S. states.

• Customized quotes: Homeowners can provide specific information about services they need and receive customized quotes from a range of professionals.

• Customer reviews: The site compiles customer reviews so you know you’re hiring someone who’s experienced, trusted and reputable.

• Fast hiring: Customers can hire a bath-remodeling professional with the click of a button once they have received quotes. Simply type into the search box what you need—bath remodel, bath tiling, bath vent fan installation, etc.—then follow a few simple prompts to receive a list of local contractors.

• Photos and videos: Service providers offer videos and photographs of their past projects so customers can see the workmanship firsthand.

• Messaging options: Thumbtack offers customers and professionals several communication options, including online messaging and direct phone communication to arrange the details of a project.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Thumbtack Company Information