Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
2.68/5

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

463 Thumbtack Consumer Reviews

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I contracted with Jack Sims of Sims Wood Works to build me a table for my foyer. He contacted me promptly, gave me a design and price quickly. He built my table and has delivered it. I love it. It is just what I wanted. He did a great job. Would definitely use him again.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I took private hip-hop lesson with Darren since April 2018 until October 2018, I wanted to learn hip-hop so I could perform at my 60th birthday party, at first I was scared, but he helped me feel relaxed and comfortable to start from the beginning hip hop moves. As time went on, I got more confident and could learn new steps more easily and not get tired as I did when I first started, in the end of my classes. I was able to accomplish what I wanted and performed at my 60th birthday party, and everyone loved what we had choreographed together, I highly recommend him for anyone who wants to learn hip-hop.

Get expert buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Joe at All Solar was very honest and helpful. I spoke to three other vendors but without meeting anyone face to face. I felt All Solar cared and felt it was about his pride in his service and not just about getting a job. I am a small business owner and was extremely happy and satisfied with the excellent service I received. I will recommend him in a heartbeat and plan on using him to install a system on my other home. Thank you Joe for your honesty and hard work, you not only represented Thumbtack well but yourself also.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I look online for a good company to service my pool and I find Xtreme Pools. They did a great job and my pool is clear and ready. I recommend this company to anyone that like to have someone to take care their needs. The man you call is Joseph **, Owner& Operator, great guy, very professional, soon as he come to my home and told me what needs to be done sure he did and just try him and see the great job he do and you be glad you did you will never need anybody else!

Original review: July 13, 2018

Kelly and his awesome crew removed 260 foot trees from my fenced in backyard today. St Peters Mo temperatures were nearing 100 degrees. Kelly and his 4 guys helping worked so hard through this heat. Eight hours, trees removed, material manually pulled out of backyard, chipped, big wood hauled off, stumps ground, and site cleaned to my satisfaction. Thanks for an awesome experience!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

Original review: June 9, 2019

Left a deposit of $300 to set up account. Scheduled the intro phone call for the following week. That weekend I found thousands of 1 star reviews. Called Monday to cancel the set up call. Asked for refund. Over the next month requested a refund 4 more times. They won’t refund the money or return calls or emails. They just keep sending me surveys asking if I’m satisfied.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I defy anyone who does business with Thumbtack to explain their billing process. What is the method they use to charge a “pro” for referring a prospective customer to that pro? It seems to change from day to day. I have done business with Thumbtack for approximately four years and have found that they are always reluctant to answer direct questions. Yet, they want access to your bank account so that they may deduct their commissions. I have had all 5 star reviews, yet my account was just deactivated for the second time and I have yet to get a definitive answer about the reason why. They claim that I have been “linked to another account” which is absolutely untrue. My advice to anyone who is seeking a partnership with an online company.... go elsewhere. There must be more reputable companies that one can deal with. I intend to find out. Good luck to all entrepreneurs!

Original review: June 5, 2019

Notwithstanding other questionable policies and modi operandi of Thumbtack, the willful discriminatory practice towards duly licensed multiple times background checked people, like me, is nothing less then a biased inequitable and prejudicial method of obtaining data mining info for other purposes under the auspices of only then being good enough for Thumbtack. In addition Thumbtack does not allow the freedom of choice and forces upon the individual a specific background check service of which Thumbtack is likely "in bed" with. Here is why:

1) I'm a duly and in good standing state licensed contractor, self-employed. To receive such I had to provide full left and right hand/finger prints so a criminal background check could be obtained and verified, several personal and professional references as well otherwise I would have never received a license. My licensure information is publicly available at the website of the state licensing board including any related disciplinary actions or violations.

2) As an legal immigrant and legal resident of the United States I had to provide the same, full set of fingerprints, plus an FBI background check, plus an FBI name check, etc. to be granted residential status. I am likely more background checked & verified than any of thumbtack's employees or for that fact any American citizen!

3) Yesterday, June 4 I returned from a trip abroad and my right hand was scanned/fingerprinted and my face for the purpose of biometrics photographed despite that such is on file with the USCIS, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Does Thumbtack seriously think that I would have received a contractors license from the state of California as well as a US government granted residential status the first place and, last but not least, after having simply legally re-entered the country swiftly if I had any questionable records on file??? Or does Thumbtack look at the US government as inept and vastly inferior to to them and their chosen background check service they are apparently in cahoots with?

Lastly, to add insult to injury, quite apparently Thumbtack has declined to post licensure information that is publicly available at the CSLB (the state licensing board agency) website and simply obtainable via a direct link. The final culmination in insult being that I as a duly licensed contractor in good standing have to compete against unlicensed individuals who post and offer their services on the Thumbtack website! (Just imagine any licensed [profession] doctor, attorney, driver, pilot etc. having to compete against an unlicensed quack or shyster or fly by, drive by night operator...)

Or worse, like in one case, a person had hired an unlicensed contractor from Thumbtack and after things had gone bad then, that client hired me to fix all the damages (at the time unbeknownst to me done by the unlicensed contractor) and try to pin everything the unlicensed contractor had done before on me! I have plenty of evidence to support that! Thumbtack knew no better than in an ultimate idiotic and blatant biased and ignorant statement defend the client and blame all on me. Then after some hefty correspondence and evidence weaseled out the backdoor like a rat. Yet it was thumbtack who had provided that unlicensed contractor to this individual in the first place, an act that is in my understanding aiding and abetting illegal unlicensed activity not limited only to the state of California.

Anyone who is of character and integrity will realize that what Thumbtack is doing is discriminatory to say the very least and has very little to do with the actual by Thumbtack forced upon specifically selected and preferred background check service whilst apparently other unlicensed individuals can continue to promote their services despite no valid licensure!

Original review: June 1, 2019

Had a difficult time getting a Landscaper to do a SOD installation on my lawn. All of them are either too busy or lack a professional attitude to respond. Some of them do respond saying they are busy but most of them do not. The most frustrating thing is that those who respond initially take a very long time to actually do the work or come down to site to actually evaluate the condition of your lawn in order to give you a professional opinion on how to fix your lawn. Go look elsewhere or do the work yourself which I did. It was hard but I did the work myself.

Original review: May 27, 2019

As a contractor, using this site is an exercise in being fleeced as it is a gamble as to if the person contacting you for service is someone who is highly motivated to hire or just a person who has a passing desire for understanding the price of something like picking up a lamp at a yard sale. 1 in ten leads come to a satisfactory resolution. The remaining 9 of 10 leads result in hundreds of dollars spent dealing with people who are fishing for some kind of super bargain from a licensed contractor. I don't know if the people looking to hire understand that when we the prospective hiree answer the lead we are charged money for the privilege. It seems that the entire site is designed to make Thumbtack money off the backs and willingness of optimistic workers. This site may work for people who have one simple product they sell but not for a contractor whose final product is as variable as a new home to the fixing of a sprinkler head.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Thumbtack used my credit card for charges that were unauthorized on, at least, several occasions. When calling them to complain as well as request refund for charges I did not solicit and/or authorize, their representatives only 'stone wall" me by stating they do not give refunds and that I and/or my former office employee, set up the account to have the 'automatic" use my credit card if they refer a potential client. I never have solicited the referral, I have never even looked at/screen the referral. They send me "you paid for this referral' and contact the customer.

One the last occasion; I got very upset when informed [in my words], "Too bad. We don't give refunds. Your profile is set up to automatic charge you if the customer looks at your profile that is set up with Thumbtack. When, in fact, our company nor I have ever agreed to and/or authorized any payments unless we have [or I have] looked at the customer's information, sent that customer information and photos. It is ONLY upon the customer calling me or sending me a reply, that I have agreed to pay. That is: the customer has looked at what I sent; then contact me via my reply to their inquiry.

To be told, '...too bad..." is just one of Thumbtacks' 'off shore' contact company's personnel. I have not cancelled my account but disputing said charges as well as filing a complaint to the BBB here in Seattle and filing a complaint with the Consumer's Affairs, Attorney Generals office, State of Washington. In summary, its not the $75 or less charge, it is the unauthorized usage of my CC as well as being told... "Too bad... We don't give refunds..."

Original review: May 19, 2019

I have for over 4 yrs used Thumbtack on and off and was as careful as can be. Yes I was scammed by 1 contractor (no state license/no reg business/no insurance) but Thumbtack claims they check, every contractor is legit, which is bs. What can go wrong re housekeeping? For starters all are high-priced as I will explain further. For starters 90% aren't available in your area even though they clearly ask you what zip code are you in, but sending you people from an hr away, that's 1 turn off. Since when is a housekeeper that will be doing light housekeeping deserve 30 plus an hr? Do you get paid that on your reg job and want to get paid in cash. Once they are by you and you watch them in your home and you possibly want them back bi monthly the tune changes once they leave. They will NOT return a call or come back. You will need to start your search again.

My last exp pertained to one whose actual picture was being blocked, as otherwise you really have no idea who you are inviting into your home to clean and going thru everywhere in your apt. I felt slightly comfortable and I casually told her, "As you're coming at or after 1 pm I'll even prepare some food for you." Well this woman who has a blocked picture never responded back on the day we made up for her to come. No text, no calls, until I left her. Thank god for the internet so I'll be posting a review.

Within 5 min my acct was closed by Thumbtack as this newbie client learnt the tricks of this business and based on just hearsay, no proof whatsoever except the text of communication between herself and I, closed me down. Bottomline Thumbtack isn't the only game in town. I had 3 strikeouts with their housekeepers who charge you more that a dr's visit. I have literally found from other sites so many that want to work with you on your days and hrs and time and all so far return and do a very nice job. And the same exact questions I ask them to see if I can trust a stranger in my apt. Re prices, what a huge diff. Thank you Thumbtack for showing me the door as it was the best thing.

Original review: May 19, 2019

Don’t hire Eric **, landscaper with Thumbtack. Eric comes across as a nice, genuine guy. He doesn’t follow the contract and takes short cuts. I hired him to sod my lawn. The contract stated he would rototill and spread loam. Instead he just laid the sod over grass. Also he way over orders sod driving up the price and leaving with sod I have no use for that is just going to die. As will the sod Eric laid over existing grass. DO NOT HIRE!

Original review: May 18, 2019

My mom hired someone through Thumbtack to help me write a resume. The pro recycled the one we sent her, had horrible communication and then demanded payment. She threatened and then acted on reporting us to Thumbtack after we informed her that her work was not satisfactory and that she was to-date not contacting the right email. Thumbtack informed me because I wasn't a verified account holder (my mom hired her from her account) that not only could I not leave a review but that there wasn't anything I could do.

The customer service rep informed me he would send me a link so I could forward the email exchange to help avoid my mom getting hit with any negativity to her account and I still have never received one. This website has a review system set-up they claim is to reduce "fake reviews" however I strongly believe that what they are doing instead is trying to secure clients who pay their fees by keeping their "reviews" high. If you scroll through any of the suggested pros they all have extremely high ratings. Will never use Thumbtack again.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Thumbtack has gone down the drain. It used to be a great company where I offered my services to the public. I believe it was sold, because there were so many negative changes all of a sudden a few months ago. Their pricing went crazy and customer service went down the tubes. So, after years of using Thumbtack, I sadly cut way back. Yesterday I got a message saying I had an interested customer, which was surprising because as I said, I hadn't participated on the site. I called Thumbtack and ended up in the Philippines, where they managed, I later discovered, to mess up the email address on my account. When giving info, Filipinos have a bad habit of going 'uh huh' every couple seconds, so despite several tries he apparently still didn't hear it right.

Luckily I got an email wanting me to verify that I changed my email address so I called and straightened it out. That's when it came to my attention that Thumbtack no longer serves customers from their office in CA, it has farmed everything to the Philippines. Greed, greed, greed. I ended the call by telling the agent that they were being used for cheap labor, that they should get together and go on strike, to insist they are paid what the company would pay if they used Americans for their jobs. I hate greed, and now I dislike Thumbtack to the MAX. With regards to the original reason I called, it never got resolved.

Original review: May 15, 2019

This woman was going through my drawers and stealing all sorts of things. Do not use Thumbtack. They don't check out their companies. I saw she had an arrest record by Googling her name. I regret ever using Thumbtack.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I’m a general contractor looking to get a business off the ground so I decided to give Thumbtack a try. My experience has been the same as all the others. Total RIP-OFF!!!! I was charged $120.00 for two leads and I never even spoke to anybody!! If you're reading this save your money. Total scam!!! Something has to be done to get this scam off the net!

Original review: May 13, 2019

I signed up for Thumbtack about 8 months ago before I was truly ready for the work. Initially had a steady flow of leads that I had to turn down, so I put my account on hold and came back 2 months ago. Went through my entire profile to optimize and increase chances of showing up in searches. Not a single lead has come through and I have the same settings as before (just different profile and a bigger variety of offerings). Thumbtack support says nothing is wrong and all the settings are right. So basically, it's not worth signing up for. No returns.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I signed up for Thumbtack to promote my massage therapy business. The only "leads" I've received are from people asking me things that are listed on my profile, such as: rates, hours, location. It's infuriating and frustrating to have to pay Thumbtack for this. They take your money if anyone simply asks a question. SCAM!!!

Original review: May 10, 2019

The company does not disclose fees they charge for leads. I was using this site to get some work on the side which I didn't get hired for and I was charged $75 fee for one lead, then $60 for another. Keep in mind, I wasn't hired for either of these gigs. these are just examples. Beware that you will not know what fees you will have to pay because they do not disclose them!!! This company does things in an unethical manner and should not be in business. I contacted them for a refund and was dismissed because according to them, the service they provide is leads. Whether you get hired or not, that is basically your problem but you still have to pay Thumbtack. What a load of crock!!!! I have never heard of such a thing and a civil action suit against this company is called for.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Thumbtack will take your money for fake leads and customer service will never give your money back, disgusting way of doing business. And now they overcharging for leads like homeadvisor but they send it to 15 different contractors!?!? They will keep bugging you with leads out of the state or 5 hours away from your location its ** leads also. Make no sense who will travel to another state to paint a small bathroom its **. Save your money and time and stay away.

Original review: May 8, 2019

They have become greed driven and non productive on helping the very people that pay them. We have worked are self to the ground to get business and they take our money and do not produce. It's shameful.

Original review: May 8, 2019

My Moving Company has had a Thumbtack since 2009; way before it was ‘a thing’. The price points kept rising to the equivalent of Google AdWords, and the customer support for a Pro is completely non-existent. Of the over 130 4 & 5 Star reviews we’ve amassed over the years, it only took one negative review for Thumbtack to drop us as a customer! There goes the 167 positive reviews we worked so hard to achieve and the thousands of dollars we’ve spent on ‘bidding’ on their jobs in the Moving industry. If you're even thinking of doing business with this company, do company & yourself a favor and go to Google AdWords directly. Award for the WORST return on investment goes to Thumbtack.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Thumbtack will get money from you one way or the other. They remind me of street scammers that would tell you the job is already yours, they will send you a message saying the customer has already chosen you, all you need to do is to contact that customer. As soon as you do you pay for the lead. The lead information is really limited. Only after you pay you get to talk to the customer and realize that your services are not exactly what he is looking for or not in the right location. I'd give 0 stars if I could!

Original review: May 6, 2019

I hired Maid in the Carolinas and at first everything was OK but then there was a problem with showing up on time and their being on "vacation" and then showing up with various "other" people who were supposed to be experience cleaners. Then they started leaving as soon as they could get out of here to get to other "appointments". They "cleaned" my house in 1/3 of the time of ALL past cleaners. Then they just did not show up. Then they did not call to tell me why they did not show up. Then they did not answer their phone. This is not someone I would ever use again or come close to recommending.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Bad experience after 4 years. I'm upset with the Thumbtack because they just do not care about the contractors when the contractors pay the leads and their salary. Also blocked me when a client Mario ** called them to block my account when this person [AIR FORCE] threatened me telling me that I would shoot myself in the head. I made the report to the local police. They also sent leads that I was not looking for and in the period that blocked me they sent many. Is frustrating that they act so I leave this review to realize what this company does: only take money from contractors but does not have professionals to solve A problem. Now I work for another company that has excellent customer service.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Asked highly rated, and supposedly background checked lady house cleaning for interview. After she left I realized my meds for back pain (surgery) were missing. Won’t let another “Thumbtack rated” person in my house again.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I had joined Thumbtack as a pro in 2017. First of all the leads never got back to us. Secondly, they charged us and said was a credit. Then started charging 100% more for bogus leads and never credited. This is a major scam. I have had thousands of dollars taken from my account and only had 8 jobs. RIP OFF.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I joined as a pro provider of a few different in demand services I excel at. I mean I'm really really undeniably good at to the point that I put my competition out of business simply because of my impeccable quality, honesty, and genuine natural abilities to perform almost any task or job I take on to the best of my or anyone else's ability to do whatever it is I put my mind and body to do such as every construction trade there ever thought of being and ten more you never heard of residential or commercial and my customer service skills and business ethics are unrivaled by a million degrees of any measure, the world over and as soon as I signed up with my pertinent poop I started getting interested customers even before posting any pictures of my work, my experience or even posting a selfie.

They started feeding me leads I couldn't take nor could I even speak or contact with any kind of person or post my contact info or get info for any customer. Thumbtack started charging my card. With most sites you pay for leads when the customer is satisfied and the work is complete, and the customer has paid the site or you personally, right? Well these crooks bill you if you as a pro, click on any service request posted by any user or customer requesting info as vague as what's your availability, or if what you clicked on was a service request in your list of your services that you offer or within your filters.

So after getting charged for leads that never even replied to my offers or confirmation that yes I do that or bids or if someone clicked my profile as a handyman and asked me do you do x y and z and all I said was, "Yes I can do that. Here's my number, and never got a response." After that I got charged exorbitant amounts of up to $12.50 for a lead to a job that I would never be hired for never did and no customer had paid me for, but charged 12.50 for the lead simply because it was for a skill or service that I could do and was listed as one of my skills I COULD provide if actually hired and paid for completing to the satisfaction of the customer.

I answered many request leads, but was not hired by anyone did no work for anyone nor did I get paid by anyone. All I was doing was paying Thumbtack to receive these teaser leads that never amounted to JACK **! Nothing, zip, zero, nadda and within 2 hours of joining thumbtack, I was demanding not to be billed and to be cancelled as a member and to unsubscribe me and forget they ever heard of me to which they responded with a phone call asking me why I quit and what could they do to keep me on, to which I replied to a real person on the phone in plain English "my account's overdrawn because of your billing policy of charging for leads that never resulted in a paid job but only sucked my account dry before I could ever get a paying gigs so just cancel me. Don't bill me for any leads cuz I didn't get any jobs and forget you ever heard of me and I thought that was that. I was done.

I told their living breathing person to cancel don't bill and unsubscribe me and forget you ever heard of me and refund any charges to my account if you have billed me because that's not right to charge for a dead end lead that never turned into a paying job. Period, end of story, or so you and I and the world would assume, right? NOPE uhuh... Two weeks later I get an email saying hey you were billed this and got a discount on this lead because of this and request your customers to write a review of your company and basically we booty banged you for your cocktail fruit that you never bought never opened never ate or digested but it's your cocktail FRUIT! And we think it's ok that we can just take whatever we want from you for any or no reason at all and we can just say you got leads and never have to prove you did or we didn't and thanks a lot for all your money there **, how's that sound there stupid!?

Ya and then when you threaten to sue us we're gonna say after reviewing your profile you don't fit in with our idea of a perfect butt to booty bang and we're going to remove you because of some ** we're not even going to attempt to allege or hafta prove to anyone ever and you should just uh take it again that way, right in your **, and could you spread your cheeks wide for us, we mean wide, and right now if you know what's good for US? Thanks a bunch there dummy. Now we got a million unsuspecting booties to bang so go ** yourself now, k?

Ya it all happened exactly like that so I guess I gotta sue their crooked thieving ** in court in a class action, so who's with me? You can email me at ** if they screwed you too. Let's get these criminals and kick their ** at doing things the legal way, of which they have absolutely no clue. We should call them 50 times a day and write a million worse reviews than this one, if it's at all possible to beat this smart bomb right here. Do not ever give these people your card info and if you're in Utah where their headquarters is, I'll give you 50 bucks to hold em until I get there. Most blatant acts of ** and thieving ** I have ever experienced!

See you in court where I'll finally be close enough to see the whites of your eyes you thieving **. THAT IS ALL! Go get em! And get em good with a real slimebag injury lawyer on contingency in a class action. Do it for all of the people that won't so there's more money for us who will and who will win. God bless you all. Post this review. It has no cuss words. If you don't post it you are as guilty as the dunces at Thumbtack and very UNAMERICAN. I AM A U.S.MARINE AND I WILL FIGHT THIS UNTIL I'M DEAD. OORAH!

Original review: April 23, 2019

I am convinced that most of the leads we pay for are from fake accounts so Thumbtack can earn money. 9 out of 10 requests I get from leads that are supposedly serious, don't even reply to a simple hello after they just requested my availability. AND most of them are well outside my travel radius. I was charged for 2 this week for jobs on the other side of the county. When I went back into my account, Thumbtack set my travel preference for the entire county! I have had to adjust that over five times in 6 months already. I am done with Thumbtack!!!

Thumbtack expert review by Joseph Truini

Thumbtack is a website that connects homeowners with service providers in their local area. This online company offers more than 200,000 active professionals available in all 50 U.S. states.

• Customized quotes: Homeowners can provide specific information about services they need and receive customized quotes from a range of professionals.

• Customer reviews: The site compiles customer reviews so you know you’re hiring someone who’s experienced, trusted and reputable.

• Fast hiring: Customers can hire a bath-remodeling professional with the click of a button once they have received quotes. Simply type into the search box what you need—bath remodel, bath tiling, bath vent fan installation, etc.—then follow a few simple prompts to receive a list of local contractors.

• Photos and videos: Service providers offer videos and photographs of their past projects so customers can see the workmanship firsthand.

• Messaging options: Thumbtack offers customers and professionals several communication options, including online messaging and direct phone communication to arrange the details of a project.

• Best for: Thumbtack is best for people who need help finding professionals for an affordable bath-remodeling project.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Thumbtack Company Information