Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Thumbtack Reviews

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

Tony ** is the Picasso of the upholstery trade. He reupholstered damaged dining and bar chairs so beautifully they look like new and will serve for many more years. He is professional, prompt, prices are very fair, and the quality of the work is excellent.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Robert sheetrocked, taped and textured new construction in my basement. A room, 12X12 and an 45 ft wall were completed. He worked efficiently and with great detail resulting in exceptional outcome. He had great suggestions and innovative ideas. Rob also showed up reliably to work on this project.

Get expert buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 26, 2019

Mike ** did an amazing job on our free standing shower. He apparently takes pride in his work and it showed! It is hard to find someone with integrity and having their work speak for itself! Thank you Mike! License # **

Original review: July 4, 2019

When I contacted the owner of Dreams2Reality Events & More LLC and had my first discussion about my wedding I was put at ease by her ideas that she brought forward. After a few discussion, all I had to do was to make my payment to her and the rest one would say is history. She took care of everything - the cake, the venue (church and reception room), the photographer, the programme, my dress, souvenir - everything. When I went to get look at possible wedding dresses, she had pick out one for me. It fitted perfectly without her taking my measurement and the design was beautiful. I had a stress-free wedding with very little input and changes from me. I would recommend this company/the wedding planner to anyone who have not formulated exactly what they want for their wedding and who wishes to have a stress-free wedding. Vashti

Original review: June 29, 2019

I was so fortunate to be referred to Sosa’s Landscaping in San Mateo, CA. They are beyond fabulous — responsive, professional, knowledgeable and of the highest quality of work. I highly recommend Sosa’s and Thumbtack for implementing the original connection.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

Original review: March 27, 2020

Professionals - steer clear from this organization. Back in 2010-2012, it was an awesome organization. You could choose which leads to pursue and budget accordingly. Now, you are forced to set a weekly budget for each service you provide (minimum of $25) and you will be automatically charged for leads (in photography - on average $30 per lead, even if your project would only be around $100). It does not matter if you are not available, do not wish to do the job or if the potential client is fake, you will be charged and no refund given.

They claim to have a great support system for professionals, but all they do is bombard you with vague, generic auto responses that are of no help at all. I ended up losing hundreds each week from clients that never responded, who booked elsewhere or I simply was unable to take on the job. Several times, clients requested services only from me and I could not respond as Thumbtack price gauged and made the lead so ridiculously expensive that I simply could not afford to contact the customer. They are a disgrace, a con and they do not care about the hard-working professionals on their site. Their agenda is simply to take all the money they can and for what? They are selling air only.

Do the math, if a client requests quotes from 7-15 professionals, Thumbtack charges each of these professionals $20 to pursue the lead, Thumbtack just made $300 and the professional has a 1 in 15 chance of getting hired (at best - a lot of times, the client has found another photographer through a rival site such as Bark.com). I don't think I even broke even despite all of my hard work because Thumbtack took so much money from my bank account for leads that were dead. It would be cheaper for me to spend that kind of money on my focused advertising to my local demographic rather than just throw my money at Thumbtack for zero results.

Original review: March 27, 2020

I pouring hours and hours and time and effort into creating a profile only to find out that:

1. They encourage you to get as many reviews from past customers as possible but they don’t tell you that at any given time, only ten of those reviews will be shown to potential customers.

2. The app is super bugged, it wouldn’t let me update my introduction and save it without me deleting and reloading the app.

3. The auto pay for leads is **. I got charged $40 for a lead I did get but considering the budget for that job, I won’t make much profit. I paid $20 for a lead that chose someone else. I paid $17 for a lead I’m 99% sure was fake. They have people that will contact multiple photographers about a BIG job like a wedding with a budget over $1,500 so multiple photographers will reply and they can collect lead money from all the pros with a pretend job that the customer never books anyone for.

It’s a scam. I deleted my entire account and app, please do not waste you money on Thumbtack. I’ll be filing a dispute with my bank for every penny I spent.

Original review: March 8, 2020

I put down a very specific, simple description in my profile as to exactly what service I offer so I wouldn't end up paying for worthless inquiries. I have a very niche contracting business. Thumbtack is now, well over a month after I signed up, suddenly deluging me with totally worthless inquires AND TRYING TO CHARGE ME FOR THEM. Thumbtack has NO way that you can remove yourself from their listings once you sign up. The only way you can keep Thumbtack from taking your money (in exchange for NOTHING of any value from Thumbtack) is to block out all the calendar dates for the current month on your profile. But then you have to remember to go back and do that all over again for the next month. And I suppose this will just go on perpetually. This is the true definition of RIPOFF.

Original review: March 7, 2020

This company charge money double, for the leads which not respond to your preferences, for some imaginary leads. Then representatives promise to refund but you will never see your money back. Not honest company, be careful with them.

Original review: March 5, 2020

I attempted to post a review on their site along with pictures of the job for a pro they have listed on their site. They were not interested at all since it was a negative review. Anyone using their site for recommendations will have to do so at their own risks which is what the site is supposed to be helping with.

Thumbtack expert review by Joseph Truini

Thumbtack is a website that connects homeowners with service providers in their local area. This online company offers more than 200,000 active professionals available in all 50 U.S. states.

• Customized quotes: Homeowners can provide specific information about services they need and receive customized quotes from a range of professionals.

• Customer reviews: The site compiles customer reviews so you know you’re hiring someone who’s experienced, trusted and reputable.

• Fast hiring: Customers can hire a bath-remodeling professional with the click of a button once they have received quotes. Simply type into the search box what you need—bath remodel, bath tiling, bath vent fan installation, etc.—then follow a few simple prompts to receive a list of local contractors.

• Photos and videos: Service providers offer videos and photographs of their past projects so customers can see the workmanship firsthand.

• Messaging options: Thumbtack offers customers and professionals several communication options, including online messaging and direct phone communication to arrange the details of a project.

• Best for: Thumbtack is best for people who need help finding professionals for an affordable bath-remodeling project.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Thumbtack Company Information

2009
      360 9th Avenue
      San Francisco
      www.thumbtack.com

Get the news you need delivered to you

Sign up to receive our free weekly newsletter. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.

You’re signed up

We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.