Thumbtack

Compare Home Improvement Contractors

Research top Home Improvement Contractors recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Thumbtack has referred me cheater called Jaun ** as a personal Trainer. However I was very determined to loose weight. Sometimes your credit card is charged more than what you expect (Lot of hidden charges), Charges late payment fees for no reason, double charges. The cancellation process is very complicated and tedious. The Agreement never ends, I had to pay 271 dollars as cancellation charge even after two months Notice period. Almost spent 1000 dollars in order to quit. He is too greedy and I felt like I am in a trap. For sure it's a trap. He does not act on what he speaks, I would rather advise to go for someone whose is transparent, honest, professional and trustworthy. I had a very bad experience. All the reviewers with rating 5 stars one day will definitely realize/understand how bad, Painful and humiliating experience it would be when they decide to quit.

I'm an experienced carpenter having worked in this trade for over thirty years. I got tired of working for other people and opened my own business. I think Thumbtack is more geared toward the "Handyman". I'm not a handyman, I am a professional carpenter. It's an insult to me when they send me jobs to unclog someone's toilet. Don't get me wrong handymen have their place, but I don't work for handyman wages and some customers don't understand why. Some customers don't need a carpenter, and the job could go to an honest handyman who could solve their problem.

Thumbtack shut my profile down due to a consumer saying my company did not complete a job. My company completed the job. I sent Thumbtack the invoice showing no mulch was to be removed also with her 5 star review she claims she didn't write. The consumer decided a few days after the job that she wasn't happy because the mulch was on her property which my company never said in the invoice or any contract to remove. Thumbtack has all this proof and yet still will not help my company. Thumbtack needs to turn my profile back on. Thumbtack has no legal right to arbitrate anything. I have all the proof backing my company and an employee who was on the job. If this is not fixed within 48 hours I will pursue legal actions.

I use Thumbtack for six years and received multiple rewards about our service. I had a ex girlfriend doing some work for me for a while. We separated and she started her own company. She cheated some people. They remove me from their site because our complete done business with this company. I find it very unfair. I ask them to send me any and all policy that will explain why they removed my account for a act of another company. They refuse to do so.

I was to be married on October 15th of last year. I paid a "pro" from Thumbtack over 800.00$ for makeup for the day of the wedding for my bridesmaids and myself. She never showed up. My hair was a rats nest from my bachelor party. And I had to wake up at 5 am to find someone else to do my hair and other bridesmaids makeup. Thumbtack defended the pro. And refused to issue me a refund. To this day I still get invoiced and the money comes out of my account. Thumbtack is a scam. They will hire anyone. Beware.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

I hired handyman Jacob ** to replace broken tile in the bathroom. He was prompt, polite, and efficient. He asked if I needed anything else done and took time to do many little things I needed done but had not requested. I highly recommend Jacob!

The job was done correct and on time and on budget. It was efficiently done. I'd definitely recommend this to anyone and do this again myself if I ever needed to. They were very reliable, on time, and efficient. Communicate was good. They talked thru whole experience, explain everything, answer all my questions.

Project was completed within the expected time range. I was kept up to date with the progress all the way through and notified of any issues that might affect efficiency. Always easy to contact with any questions or concerns. Showed up on time when expected. Met my expectations for their work and responsibility. Reasonable prices for quality work. I felt that I was getting an exceptional experience in remodeling without having to pay an arm and a leg to get it done quickly and with good quality.

Thumbtack make it easy because you are able to search which workers fit the correct job. The project takes about 2 days or so. I recommend Thumbtack because one is able to chose the worker that he or she thinks is right. Worker are well experienced and are recommended by others. The website is very reliable. It explains the things that one needs to know to chose the worker. The communication is super easy! Contact information is available and you are able to contact the worker. Also, if you need any help with the website, you can call for help or go to FAQ. The value is great because the website helps you chose the right worker that best suits your needs. In addition, you get to purchase things according to your budget. The value is great.

The job took longer than they said it would, based on the initial quote. Originally a 24 day assignment, and it was over 2 months before the finished product. They did show up on time and fulfill their commitments, which I had no issues with. I wish they had made better time, but otherwise, fairly reliable. They didn't communicate their changes as much as I would have liked. When something came up that would cause the job to go longer, I wouldn't hear about it unless I asked them. Aside from the timing issues, the price was very reasonable. I shopped around quite a bit and at the end of the day, no one could touch their price.

As expected/discussed at time of hire for project agreed upon. No bad surprises or unexpected issues arose which I was worried about in the beginning. As soon as contacted we agreed upon time, place, and what needed to be done. Everything happened according to plan which was a great surprise for someone who was so nervous. Told me everything I needed to know about the process. Where we went from step one and what to expect at the very end when tasks were done. Worth every penny, you normally don't know what you're paying for when it comes to goods and services online. But with this program I knew what to expect A-Z.

I'm not sure what you mean by timeliness. But if it means how quickly they did it, then I'd say it was average because it took plenty of time to find the right deal for me and then to do the rest. Fairly reliable I'd say. I got what I needed and it was done with no problems. It took some time however for me to adjust to the new situation but that doesn't have much to do with reliability so I'll just leave that out of the factors that influenced my decision. Overall communication was very good. I understood exactly what would happen and their knowledge greatly affected my decision. Due to their great depth of knowledge, I was able to feel confident in my decision and I believe I made the right choice. Overall value was good but I feel like it could be better. I was satisfied with it but if I had found different prices, I might've changed my decision.

The guys weren't on time but within one half hour of the agreed upon time. This isn't the company's fault because sometimes jobs run late but it can be frustrating to the person reheating the service. The service can be rated reliable even though they were late because they did show up on time eventually. Try got the inn done and that's what matters. I'd appreciate if the company was running late that they would have called me so I wasn't waiting around for them to eventually show up. I'd like for the company to take this more seriously. We were able to get everything we needed eventually, thankfully. It's just amazing that sometimes people just don't return calls or show up but they did.

I contacted a contractor and within a few days they gave me a budget and when the work was done I was pretty happy with the result of their work. I would highly recommend this contact service to everyone else. The contractors were amazing and they really knew what they were doing. I was very happy with the end result. The first time I contacted the contractor he replied quite fast and they were really helpful explaining how they would work and communication was good between both parties. Their job was awesome and the value of their work was well worth it! Very professional people as well as friendly. They made it seem like a really easy thing to do.

I just love the timeliness of how well this company will conduct business with its customers. I always get what I done on my own time and flexibility. Gets my stuff done. They are the most reliable companies I have ever ran across since dealing with a bunch load of companies in my area. THEY GO FAR AND ABOVE MY EXPECTATIONS. I have no complaint here. They are such expert with their communication skills and it is very admirable seeing them use it to deal with customers like me that appreciate it as much as I do. I just so so so love everything they do with the money I pay for their services. I get my monies' worth and plus some.

Expert Review

Joseph TruiniHome Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.    More about Joseph→

Thumbtack is a website that connects homeowners with service providers in their local area. This online company offers more than 200,000 active professionals available in all 50 U.S. states.

• Customized quotes: Homeowners can provide specific information about services they need and receive customized quotes from a range of professionals.
  • Customer reviews: The site compiles customer reviews so you know you’re hiring someone who’s experienced, trusted and reputable.
  • Fast hiring: Customers can hire a bath-remodeling professional with the click of a button once they have received quotes. Simply type into the search box what you need—bath remodel, bath tiling, bath vent fan installation, etc.—then follow a few simple prompts to receive a list of local contractors.
  • Photos and videos: Service providers offer videos and photographs of their past projects so customers can see the workmanship firsthand.
  • Messaging options: Thumbtack offers customers and professionals several communication options, including online messaging and direct phone communication to arrange the details of a project.
  • Best for Thumbtack is best for people who need help finding professionals for an affordable bath-remodeling project.

Compare Bathroom Remodeling Companies