1.18/5
Based on 81 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a home improvement contractor?

Thumbtack

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 19, 2018

91 Thumbtack Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I did only to jobs with Thumbtack, and a lot was gone not because of the price, I even set the lowest price among contractors, and some leads was not contacted with customers and I am still charged. It used to be 5 contractors bidding on a job, now I see up to 9 contractors bidding on one job. You may get one lead among 25 ones... bottom line, it is just a scam.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

First of all, I didn't get that much business from TT, and I was with TT for at least two years and sent out quotes regularly. I was already considering leaving, because I was not finding it to be a good way to spend my marketing dollars. What I REALLY have an issue with, though, is this new background check they have imposed and the fact that you can't do ANYTHING until you undergo it. At first, I had no problem with that. What I have a PROBLEM with, though, is that the company who does these checks requires you to submit your sensitive documents ELECTRONICALLY. That's a huge NOPE from me. I have deactivated my account with TT, and I don't feel it's a loss at all. There are PLENTY of ways to market your business as a sole proprietor or small business without compromising your personal information. So long, suckas!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I first started using Thumbtack for my DJ service in 2013 and they quickly became a very important part of my business. I was working one to two jobs a week from Thumbtack for years. I currently have booked over 300 parties from the site and have a hundred and twenty-three five star reviews. Long story short they have changed their business model. They no longer allow you to have templates when you respond to customers, they send the same basic info... Pricing, hours, etcetera to everybody. They used to allow only 5 people to respond to leads, now up to 15 can be used.

They used to charge you around $8 for a typical lead. Now it's 15 to $20 and they want everybody to switch to this Pro assist set up where they charge you 15 to $20 for every customer who contacts you. The customers contact you asking you the questions that were always included in your template! So every time I customer messages you and says "are you available on my date", Thumbtack charges you 15 to $20. To add insult to injury Thumbtack has you fill out a calendar with your schedule so they know who to send your responses to but they don't let you tell the customer that you're available on their date when the customer receives your initial information!

I have booked two parties in the last two and a half months and I have spent almost $300 on leads since the last time I booked a party! I feel like I'm being scammed. It used to be an incredible service and I don't know if someone new took over the company or what is going on but all I do is throw money down the rabbit hole with them.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

As a professional photographer, I started doing business with Thumbtack three years ago and within 6 months became a "Top Pro". I was spending anywhere from 6.00 to 25.00 to bid on each job and once the quote was viewed I would lose my money whether the client ever contacted me or not. Still it was working... soon however Thumbtack started lying to me about how many other "pros" they would allow to bid on one job. The max was suppose to be 5 but I soon found out it was actually 10 or more. THEN they upped their prices and (Now I pay upwards of 45.00 on some jobs) they ALLOW other "pros" to UNDERBID what the client says they are willing to pay!!!

This is helping to water down an already oversaturated market that is full of "people with a camera" and not people who are actual professional photographers! Simply put, no one can go to home depot, buy a wrench and start calling themselves a plumber but anyone can buy a camera and start telling everyone they are a photographer! Everyone starts somewhere but Thumbtack tells the clients that they are connecting them with PROFESSIONALS and half these people are hobbyist trying to make a quick buck and us real pros are fighting to make a living! Between the price hikes, the dishonesty and the fact that they allow people to underbid what the client says they want to pay and still charge a premium is ridiculous!!!

I have seen this company go from one with integrity to one that has gotten beyond greedy and they are completely dishonest to boot! I spent over 6000.00 last year alone and they do NOTHING to correct these clear issues!!! I am taking my business elsewhere and would strongly discourage anyone to get in bed with this completely crooked money grubby company!!!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I've been using Thumbtack for years, but then after writing to Thumbtack about how I responded to a customer who didn't have any professionals respond to them was changed. This is their letter: We recently updated the information showing on requests. Instead of the number of pros who quoted, we're now showing you the number of pros contacted by the customer. This update was done so pros can gauge the responsiveness of a customer before sending quotes. Feel free to reach out if you have further questions.

After that I decided to deactivate my account. I'm not going to give a company any money that shows me only the amount of professionals that was contacted. It takes away my drive to contact them. Heck, that customer may have been contacted by 15 professionals!! That customer may not want to hear from anymore Thumbtack Pros. No more... Done. And Good Bye. Now they're starting something new, right after I deactivated my account. Skeptical.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Wow! First Thumbtack sent me some real losers to give me a bid on replacing windows, then they sold my information to spammers. I've been getting junk mail ever since. BTW, one of their "professionals" insulted me to the point I had to contact his company! And, of the companies they sent to me, only one had a presence on the internet outside of Thumbtack. Even though one of those told me he had been in business for 20 years. Right!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I emailed them to say that I had someone that had reviewed and had blatantly lied. I even provided proof of this lie that I will now be talking to my lawyer. They refused to remove the review even though the "customer" had lied. Then they say that they need reviews so customers get an honest trustworthy opinion. This wasn't honest... I always work with my customers. On all my platforms for advertising I have high ratings, but we always run into that one customer who just looks for trouble. Seems they care more about the people that DON'T PAY THEM MONEY. On top of that, they continue to raise their prices. I don't get much to any business off of them so it won't be a big loss to me. But seriously almost $4 to send a quote to one person. Half the time the people don't even respond or see it so I don't even know how legit this company is.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I don’t understand how this company can still be in business after all the horrible reviews and customer service and unethical business practices!! I signed up as a Pro a couple years ago for my phone repair business and have been intermittently using them ever since. But now out of the blue they have deactivated my account for NO REASON and told me I have to do a background check!?? Seriously? I’ve been using TT for years and after this long you NOW want to see if I’m a “criminal”??!!! Don’t you think it would be smart to do a background check BEFORE you even start getting customers?

I’ve been a registered nurse for 15 years so I can pass a background check with flying colors but THAT IS NOT THE POINT... nor for me at least, I just do NOT agree with this. I don’t work for TT and my 5-Star rating/reviews should tell potential customers and TT that I have a legitimate, respectable business that I’m operating! Besides that I just do not feel comfortable giving TT and some random third party company (CheckR) to have access to ALL of my personal and financial information! Besides, this should be about my business/company, not me personally! To top it off I’ve been told by other TT Pros that have completed the background check and have NOTHING on their record besides a couple traffic tickets, and because of those tickets TT then deactivated their accounts indefinitely and have lost all of their quotes, pics, prospects, reviews etc that were associated with their TT account and no longer can use TT.

This is SOOO WRONG! Just for a traffic ticket? I DO also have a few traffic tickets from many years ago and there’s no way in hell that I’m going to give them even a chance to discriminate on me because of that because I’m deleting my account! All of that BS aside, the other HUGE issue with TT is their FAKE LEADS! As you’ve read one complaint after another about all the fake leads, I won’t repeat what everyone else has already stated. But yes, I also received a lot of fake leads. And don’t bother calling TT’s customer service... OMG they’re the most non-helpful people ever!

You’ll get nowhere with them, they can’t even explain to me why they don’t do background checks at sign up. Actually about 80% of the questions I was asking them, they would just not respond! They just sat in silence on the phone. I’m assuming waiting for me to change the topic? Anyways... pls pls PLEASE do NOT bother with this company!!! And if anyone has any good solutions to getting this company SHUT DOWN, pls let me know!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I have used Thumbtack for 3 years and have been very successful. I am a professional organizer and received many requests. I had been hired 43 times with 28 five-star reviews. I was considered a “top pro” whom they cite consist of only 4% of their professionals. But they have now changed their model moving to “robo” quotes. Impersonal and cold. Instead of 5 quotes per request, they now present 16 plus. In my field, this is overwhelming. I have received less quotes and no results. This is a shame because they were such a great business model for me in the past. I call customer service once a week. They are open to my views, but nothing has changed. What a shame. They used to be a main part of my business.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I recently signed up for Thumbtack, a credit based referral service, that promises to grow your business through online referrals from quotes that you deliver to customers. You pay for some quotes and some are free. However, the few times that I’ve booked appointments to see clients, they never show up. This service will only provide you with time wasting quotes that lead to bad referrals and window shoppers.

If you are trying to run a serious referral based business, look elsewhere for those referrals. You will waste a lot of time quoting these customers and get nothing in return. Thumbtack should change their business model to something that protects the professionals who use this service from customers who are price hunting. Perhaps a listing of pros and a fixed general quote for most jobs so that customers can get a feel for what the pricing is before they waste the time of a given pro with a needless general quote. I would not recommend Thumbtack to anyone! Avoid this company!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I was a member of this so-called lead generating service and in 3 years out of about 2500 so-called leads and only 7 real jobs. My experience is terrible. THUMBTACK has an integrity issue. It is typical for the contractor to pay for lead that says something nebulous like Patty ** wants a bid on new windows. Upon paying for the lead they give you nothing. In my experience most of the ones I pay for do not get a last name, an address, a phone number, an email, kik- absolutely nothing. When I ask them about it over the years they always say the homeowner did not leave the information.

Folks I have been in business 30 years. Now what kind of potential customer looking for a service does not leave contact info? I will tell you what kind, it is one that is non-existent. My guess is THUMBTACK is generating revenues on fake customers. This sounds like fraud to me. I encourage any Service Pro who has similar experiences to contact your state's Attorney General and ask that they investigate this shady company.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

This company Thumbtack is misleading photographers to spend money on credit and never get any work, is a fraud and need to be reported to the BBB or TV about it, they are stealing money from many photographers. I spend so much money over two years and before that when the fee was a monthly fee and now you have to purchase credits to bid on jobs and when you do no one call or never get the jobs is a full of fraud.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Thumbtack has been a zero for my company. A total waste of both time and effort. As a business involved in catering services I received zero business and only one response which I do not even count as a true response. People who request quotes are mostly just fishing to compare quotes and are bottom feeders. Several of the requests seem to be names from my email accounts used as people requesting quotes. People who are requesting quotes give no phone number for follow on quote nor do they respond. This is a total waste of time for my business and zero bang for the dollar.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

My account was deactivated because of what they called fraudulent review. I did an event for my sister-in-law's brother, and had him review it. They deleted it, so I had him do it again after sending an email to them, so they deactivated my account. I tried to get my account back and they still didn't care. Terrible company!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I used Thumbtack for 1 year with success 2016-2017. At the end of 2017, Thumbtack made a change to allow up to 15 pros to quote a customer. 15! It used to be 5, and you would pay anywhere from $10-$15 for a customer to view your quote. Now you pay the same amount with 3X the vendors. Also upon opening my account back up at the end of 2017, I realized it will show 0 pros have quoted a customer and then after you quote it says 5-8 pros contacted the customer (sometimes on day old requests). SO... They lied about contacts to get me to pay the money for the quote and then told the truth. FINALLY, I literally just had a DJ quote a customer in the $200 range for a 6 hour Detroit wedding. If that doesn't scream TRASH, I have no idea what does! There are no limits for crappy vendors that WAY undercut true professionals. This is a total waste, a crooked company, too expensive and overflooded. Spend your ad dollars somewhere more useful.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I had signed up with this company. They then had asked for my information to run a background check then I passed and then they sent me an email stating that they have closed my account stating that there is another association to my account with someone else! This is not true and I am outraged that they accused me of a total outright LIE!!! This is the first time using their system and it will be the last! I will be writing to the BBB and Attorney General to try to get this company SHUT DOWN!!! Unbelievable!!! They steal your identity then send a email stating LIES!!! I will be on a mission to see that their corrupt operation is put out of business! I see that there are other people that are irritated with this business as well. I say we get a poll and get them SHUT DOWN!!! Pathetic!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I have used Thumbtack for over two years. Initially I had great success finding leads and getting hired. As time went on I started to notice a trend that so many others have already mentioned, which is that many if not all of the requests I respond to appear to be fake. I continually get customers that are well outside my travel distance, as well as customers who use the exact same response, only to never to be heard from again.

It had never crossed my mind that Thumbtack themselves might be the ones generating the false leads. This was until they implemented their new format which charges the pro automatically as soon as a customer responds. They have charged me dozens of times regardless of any further communication from the customer, or if I am hired or not. Lastly, when I have called to dispute these charges Thumbtack has always sided with the customer and has argued with me, despite the fact that I am the one paying them! I’m sad to say that at this point I would never recommend Thumbtack to anyone. RIP Thumbtack. It was good in the beginning. Greed got to them.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I have been a member of Thumbtack Pro for several months now. It has cost me hundreds of dollars to put in quotes out to potential clients and after all these months I have only been hired 4 consumers. I have spent hours on the phone with Thumbtack trying to correct their link to giving me reviews from clients I have obtained from other sources. I am convinced that the notifications I receive from them are either computer-generated or from people hired to just send out requests so you pay the fee to send out a quote. I have no proof of this but after sending out dozens and dozens of quotes I have only been hired a few times. They spike my stellar credentials.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Thumbtack has a terribly amazing site, very thorough build and organization. I commend them on their site, but that is all I can see. I received a few requests for quotes pretty quickly and in my area, but I could not respond truthfully to them about my quote because for a web design job that could take maybe 10 hours at 25 an hour they wanted me to pay 45.00. For one bid. That is complete non-sense. I will not be using a service that charges me nearly 50 dollars everytime I make 250. That is stupid. No options to change it?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

We hired a cleaning company through Thumbtack. We found out they stole over $700 worth of clothing and our daughter's iPad. I contacted Thumbtack regarding this over a week ago. Rachel from their marketplace trust & safety team has dodged TWO of my scheduled phone appointments with her to talk about this, and the two people that stole from me are still logging onto their Thumbtack account taking clients!

I spoke to another clueless woman from Thumbtack after wasting around 30 minutes of my day for a phone call, and she offered no help as well. She told me Rachel is the only person to speak to and she'll try to sort it out so I can talk to her soon. Seriously? You have ONE person handling incidents in your company. Outrageous how poor they handle their customers. I cannot believe this situation, and will be sharing my experience with many to protect them from a company that doesn't care about their consumers. Do NOT use Thumbtack. I'm going to try Angie's List.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

We have just found out that we've been charged over $50 in 2 days (not 2 full business days) for advertising costs with Thumbtack. I never saw the 'cost to reply' section in any of the referrals. I'll own that for not looking more closely. The way they figure what they charge for replying to a request is terrible. They charged us $17 for one small painting job request (we never heard back from the client). They charged $5.01 for a window cleaning quote where she wanted 1 - 5 windows cleaned. Their gouging small businesses and getting rich while the small businesses pay out and earn nothing in return. There has to be something better.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Thumbtack is a site where budget minded people go to compare businesses and shop for quotes. Remember if you are a vendor and you put in 20 quotes a week you have spent about $100.00. They say that you get charged only if your quote is viewed...which it usually is. But, the rate of quote to hire is about 2%. Thumbtack is making a killing. They just changed their payment method and price structure so the cost of trying to get a job just went up. They have no way of telling you how much you paid quarterly or even annually so one doesn't even really know the true cost to do business. Quote based websites are a rip off. I've been recommending a client/vendor share system or a subscription based system that is more fair to vendors but I got no replies. I shut down my account last week. I couldn't keep paying that much $ for no income. DON'T DO IT!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Horrible customer service. An employee set up our login and Thumbtack will not allow anyone else to do a background check. They will not allow you delete account and start a new one. Why would an employer perform a background check using an employee's personal information. They refuse to discuss on the phone and have phone screeners that repeat the same answers over and over. The level of frustration dealing with them is off the charts. They are just slimy.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I tried using their services a few times as a vendor for my business. First, it's very expensive. Second, the leads I get never pan out. The clients are very cheap and unreasonable. They are low ballers looking for only the cheapest price. This is the worst way to find a qualified vendor with years of experience and good reviews elsewhere not through Thumbtack. People who use Thumbtack are just lazy and too ignorant to use the internet or google. Very disappointing. This site should be shut down.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I used to love Thumbtack until I logged into my account one day and realized I was competing with 10 other pros for 1 lead that cost me $20.04. At first they only allowed 5 quotes per lead which is manageable but 11 is outrageous. Here's the issue with that. I'm an established business owner just looking for some extra work here and there so I don't have the time to stare at an app in my phone so I can get the notification and put in the first quote. But unfortunately there are a lot of little start up and new subcontractors that gave nothing better to do with their time so I don't have a chance and Thumbtack doesn't let you know how many people bid until you pay for the lead which is a monopoly situation because if you don't bid you have no chance and if you do bid and you're not first then 10 other guys already spoke to the customer and have an appointment for tomorrow morning.

And then to top it off the customer out of curiosity opens the email with my quote knowing they have no intention of speaking to me and boom there goes my hard earned $20 just like that. So as much as I did love this service I now have to say there are many less competitive options such as HomeAdvisor where only 3 bids are allowed and contact is guaranteed.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Printer repair and set up - Was called after asking for a company by "TheConsultedGroup.com", by George **. The help and service he provided was fantastic! Every question I had he answered, and the set up was a little rough, my fault for messing up a few things, he fixed everything, and I would recommend or call George any time any day. I normally do not see this kind of service in Florida. Thank you so much! PS; he also likes Led Zeppelin.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

This company sells you fake leads, after getting many leads with our reputable 4.8 stars company A plus rating with BBB we notice not closing any jobs and what we did was to charge 70% off the job just to prove it and we did, after replying to 10 leads with a 70% discount none we're close, now you tell me if they are not fake. Be careful.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

We have been a Thumbtack client for more than 24 months, spending thousands of dollars paying for leads and thought we had a good working relationship. We recently received an email stating that they received a complaint from a customer and we would have to go to arbitration to resolve. They cancelled our account and did not provide a specific reason other than referring to their terms and conditions. We had more than 40 positive reviews on this site and referred many of our potential clients to this site. As a business owner, you are aware that reviews cost time, money and very difficult to get clients to post reviews. Their response to our request for more information as to why they would not reinstate the account is as follows:

“Thank you for that. As my email to Al stated, there are a variety of factors we take into account when making this choice. While we do not disclose specifics, I will do my best to explain the process. When we make the decision to permanently remove an account, we may base that choice upon some of the following: reviews on and off Thumbtack, publicly searchable information, quoting habits, messaging with customers, and any other information we find to be relevant. This is not a step that is taken without serious consideration. Though we do not like to, our Terms provide us with the ability to make this decision at any time. I understand this may be disappointing and I apologize to you both for any inconvenience this may cause. However, we are not confident that Thumbtack and ** are a good fit. We will not disclose any more specific information as to our decision making process. However, I am available to answer any final questions that you may have.”

As a business owner, I would recommend you do NOT use this site as they are expensive, do not screen their customers and in my opinion, probably request bogus work request themselves to generate revenue. There might be grounds for legal action and will be seeking advise from our legal counsel. In the meantime, there are other, more reputable site you can use to grow your business.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I set up using Thumbtack and like others here noticed the same name coming around more than once. ServiceMagic years ago pulled the same thing but bogus leads cost $60 instead of the $10-$16 you see here. Either way paying for crap isn't worth your hard earned money. This Shady company needs to be gone already.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

When there is a dispute between a Thumbtack professional and a client, they very very rarely take the side of the professional that's paying money to Thumbtack. When you call customer service, they always try to tell you what you want to hear, like, "We understand, and I'm sorry you're having an issue." But they don't take any action. I've spent thousands of dollars on Thumbtack, and they do nothing to help their paying client such as myself. A complete waste of money.

Thumbtack expert review by Joseph Truini

Thumbtack is a website that connects homeowners with service providers in their local area. This online company offers more than 200,000 active professionals available in all 50 U.S. states.

• Customized quotes: Homeowners can provide specific information about services they need and receive customized quotes from a range of professionals.

• Customer reviews: The site compiles customer reviews so you know you’re hiring someone who’s experienced, trusted and reputable.

• Fast hiring: Customers can hire a bath-remodeling professional with the click of a button once they have received quotes. Simply type into the search box what you need—bath remodel, bath tiling, bath vent fan installation, etc.—then follow a few simple prompts to receive a list of local contractors.

• Photos and videos: Service providers offer videos and photographs of their past projects so customers can see the workmanship firsthand.

• Messaging options: Thumbtack offers customers and professionals several communication options, including online messaging and direct phone communication to arrange the details of a project.

• Best for: Thumbtack is best for people who need help finding professionals for an affordable bath-remodeling project.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Thumbtack Company Information

2009
    360 9th Avenue
    San Francisco
    www.thumbtack.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use