3.6/5 (710 ratings)
Find a Home Improvement Contractors partner

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Thumbtack

Thumbtack is a platform that connects you with a variety of home care professionals, including for home projects, lawn and landscaping, massages, dog training and a variety of other services. Thumbtack helps you compare options, read reviews and see pricing. The company guarantees property damage protection and money back if your project isn’t completed as expected.

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

What is Thumbtack?

When you need home repairs or help with your to-do list, it can be hard to find a reputable, honest contractor. Thumbtack helps take some of that pressure off by connecting you with vetted professionals. Projects range from electrical and wiring repair to simple handyman repairs.

Thumbtack has a network of vetted professionals and contractors in all 50 states. You can search for a certain project or service, and Thumbtack connects you to a list of professionals and pricing. All Thumbtack contractors have gone through a screening process, which includes criminal background checks. Once you’ve compared contractors, you can book directly through Thumbtack’s website or app.

How does Thumbtack work?

Thumbtack is free to use once you sign up. To start, you type in what service you’re looking for and your area code. Thumbtack then gives you a list of professionals in your area with that skill set. Some also list their costs, or you can call for specific pricing. Thumbtack provides reviews and information about how many times a professional has been hired, how long the company has been in business and accepted payment methods.

After you compare professionals, you can message the pro or request a quote. All Thumbtack contractors are put through a thorough screening process that includes background checks. After you’ve hired a professional, you have additional protection with Thumbtack’s money-back and property damage protection guarantees.

Thumbtack does offer an upgraded Plus membership for $49 per year. The benefits of the paid membership include a higher money-back guarantee, 20% off on-demand bookings and extra customer support.

Thumbtack services

Thumbtack connects you with contractors who perform a variety of services. Popular services include:

• House cleaning
  • Local moving (under 50 miles)
  • Fence and gate installation
  • Dog training
  • Massage therapy
  • Interior painting
  • TV mounting
  • Central air conditioning repair or maintenance
  • Wedding and event photography
  • Furniture assembly
  • Wedding officiants
  • Swimming pool cleaning and maintenance

Chances are, if you have a home project or need, Thumbtack can help connect you to a professional in that area.

Thumbtack prices

Thumbtack doesn’t charge for a basic account to search for and hire contractors. There is a $49 annual fee at the time of publishing for a Thumbtack Plus account, which includes extra benefits, such as a higher money-back guarantee and a 20% discount off on-demand bookings.

Contractor pricing varies based on the service and your location. Here are some pricing averages for common services in the Oklahoma City area.

ServicePrice range or average
House cleaning$97 average per clean
Local moving$80 to $100 per hour
Handyman services$34 to $65 per hour
Full-service lawn$34 average per project
Furniture assembly$52 per project

Thumbtack FAQ

Where is Thumbtack available?

Thumbtack is available in all 50 states.

How does Thumbtack membership work?

The Thumbtack Plus membership is $49 per year at the time of publishing. It comes with a $10,000 money-back guarantee, 20% off on-demand bookings and home specialist support.

Who owns Thumbtack?

Thumbtack was co-founded by Marco Zappacosta, who is the current CEO. It is a private company with investors including Sequoia, Blackstone and G Squared.

Is Thumbtack safe?

Thumbtack vets contractors who appear on its site. Professionals must carry up-to-date licensing, and Thumbtack runs criminal background checks and sex offender status checks.

Is Thumbtack legit?

Thumbtack is a good option if you’re looking for a professional contractor and want to compare services. Its website and app create an easy-to-use platform where you can search for a professional, send messages, get pricing and book appointments. Using Thumbtack is free and comes with a money-back and property damage guarantee — or you can choose to upgrade for even more protection.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

Do not use this site. I learned the hard way that any old company or person can sign up to be on Thumbtack. There is no real vetting. After my experience, I'm starting to think this site is a total scam. I had an issue where I posted a review for Company A, but it was actually Company B that came to my house. Because my partner and I both were working to find a contractor, there was some confusion and I left a review for the wrong company. Whoops. Easy to fix? Wrong. I could not delete or edit my own review. Really? That's certainly inconvenient. So I emailed them with the error.

I've dealt with two customer service reps (one supervisor named Jeff) that have told me that due to their "integrity" they cannot remove the review. As I said to them, what kind of integrity is it to leave up a review for a company it doesn't belong to? This is false and untrue and should certainly be removed. My review is up there in error, hurting the wrong party that it is attached to, yet Thumbtack will not intervene and make it right. How awful is that? This is Thumbtack's definition of "integrity," apparently.

After doing more homework, I realize the Pros pay so much money for leads (just your clicking to connect with them charges them), which it translates into higher prices for the customer. The way I see it, this company is out to get everyone's money and doesn't care about anyone involved. Do yourself a favor and do not use this site. It appears to be a burden to everyone involved.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

Beware... Thumbtack might be good if you use them and do the jobs they send you leads on, but Beware!!! They charge you for sending you leads even if you don't use them. I tried to not even click on them and they still charged me. Customer service is not good and they are very hard to get ahold of. Every time they zapped my account I felt very ripped off!! I just deactivated my account and will look for a more honest company to get leads from.

Get buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

First time using Thumbtack. This time for house cleaning. Specified it was for deep cleaning from 2pm to 6pm. Pleasant workers came but said had to leave after about 2 hours. Said had another job. I examined what they had done and they corrected the problems. Should have done more as I found they had not cleaned the hardwood floors and other issues. They didn't know it was for 4 hrs and a deep cleaning and didn't bring the proper equipment and supplies. The owner "Pro" and I exchanged some heated text messages. Showed him the evidence in a photo. Offered to pay $120 vs $240 for a half of a job. He refused. I have tried to find a way to contact Thumbtack customer service. Apparently doesn't exist. DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

I got a lead from a customer for a 1000sq ft to 1500sq ft for $84. I contacted the customer turned out she made an mistake, she only need to repairs a piece of vinyl that came off. I contacted thumbtack support service requested a refund. They refused and said it is not eligible. This is not the first time they robbed me. I would not recommend them for contractors.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

I signed up for their $200 program. I immediately saw that the leads sent to us were too broad, and we were unable to even perform the work requested. I contacted Thumbtack immediately and was told it would be refunded. They continued to send irrelevant leads and charge me. I had to dispute the charge with my credit card company.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

From the start, joining Thumbtack has been a nightmare. From technical problems accessing my account to paying for "leads" that didn't fit my preferences... When I was able to respond to a "lead", I wouldn't get a reply back from them. Makes me think that these aren't real people. When you ask for a refund, your credit card is not credited. They give you a credit on your account, which does me no good if I am not getting legit leads that fit my preferences. I'm done. What a waste of my time and money.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

I signed up as a Pro on this site, then deactivated my account because the charges are very high. Every time someone contacts you (CONTACTS, not HIRES), you are charged a fee. I am getting multiple emails now since my account has been deactivated, and I am unable to delete my account or ask for it to be deleted online BECAUSE it is deactivated. As a customer, I hired someone from this site, and they were AWFUL. I'm going to have to hire someone else to do the work, because this individual charged twice the normal charge and was very condescending on the service call. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

Thumbtack Professional repaired some broken tiles on the back deck/pool deck of my home. The outdoor tile is discontinued so I had to try to salvage the damaged areas. While the tile appears to be repaired correctly. The grout does not match the existing grout. It was left the raw grey vs terracotta like the rest of the deck. I did not notice it until he left. I contacted the owner to discuss it. I found out the worker charged me $900 but told the owner he charged me $600. He did a terrible job and stole $300 from me on top of the sub-standard Job. The owner said that he would do something about this. So far nothing.

Thumbtack customer service got involved. They ask for documentation to support the claim. I supplied the payment support and texts from the Garry Pavers. After 2 weeks of research they decided that they would not honor the money back guarantee. Just marketing smoke and mirrors. If something goes wrong, don't expect them to do anything to resolve it. Use ANGI.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

I have been a Thumbtack Pro with this organization for several years. I recently had a young lady who booked limousine service with my company for a July wedding. During the month of May she emailed me on the THUMBTACK platform and states she was canceling the wedding and she could not go through with it. I immediately attempted on several different occasions to reach out to her to find out what was going on and never received a phone call back.

The next thing I find is a "1" star review with her stating that my company took her money and did not show up for her wedding. I immediately disputed it with Thumbtack and of course you cannot get someone live on the phone unless you're paying for that service. But I was told that the review stands because it was her personal opinion on her dealings with my company and that she did not violate any of THUMBTACK'S policies. Although they saw the proof in black and white on their very own platform. This young lady bought herself a lawsuit and if you're a business owner thinking of doing business with Thumbtack, they were excellent when I first started with them, but in MY OPINION nothing more than a total scam and rip off at this point. Spend your hard earned marketing dollars elsewhere. I am having tremendous success with Google Ads.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2022

I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau regarding this issue and I rejected Thumbtack's response because: It is a non-responsive answer that did not address my concern. The answer actually SUPPORTS my complaint that contractors should NOT be charged for a so-called "lead" where the customer NEVER responds. Thumbtack wrote: "Customers who have projects or jobs that match your targeting preferences that you entered into your account can reach out to you to learn more about working with your business. When this happens, you are charged a lead fee. You're paying for the value of being connected with a potential customer — whether or not you're hired."

My complaint to the BBB had nothing to do with not being hired. I accept the fact that some customers who contact me will eventually choose another contractor. My complaint is about those customers who NEVER contact me in the first place, despite a standard four attempts on my part to connect with them. In that case Thumbtack is STILL charging contractors a fee and REFUSES to refund that fee.

NOTE that Thumbtack said customers can reach out to contractors, and when this happens, you are charged for that lead. What was left unsaid is what happens when a customer does NOT reach out to a contractor. We should NOT be charged for that so-called "lead" then. Because that "connection" with the customer NEVER HAPPENS because the customer NEVER responded, then the contractor should not be charged a fee. THAT is the issue that Thumbtack refuses to address, and is a major reason why it and other similar services have such a high contractor turnover. If Thumbtack ignores this complaint and refuses to issue refunds where a customer NEVER responds to multiple attempts at contact, then I too will be quitting its service.

Thumbtack Company Information