1.11/5

Looking for a home improvement contractor?

439 Thumbtack Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 23, 2019

I am convinced that most of the leads we pay for are from fake accounts so Thumbtack can earn money. 9 out of 10 requests I get from leads that are supposedly serious, don't even reply to a simple hello after they just requested my availability. AND most of them are well outside my travel radius. I was charged for 2 this week for jobs on the other side of the county. When I went back into my account, Thumbtack set my travel preference for the entire county! I have had to adjust that over five times in 6 months already. I am done with Thumbtack!!!

Original review: April 23, 2019

I use this app in order to grow up my business but they sent leads to high price that just for accept the job even if the customer doesn’t accept the estimate they charge you. In many cases you accept the lead and the customer never answer you and they charge you again. Really this is a very disappointed experience with Thumbtack. When you chat with a representative is like a machine every time the same answer. This week I spent more than 120$ and never get hired. I do not recommend this app to anyone, do not waste your very hard earned money in this scam app.

Get expert buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 22, 2019

YOU CANNOT TRUST THE REVIEWS ON THUMBTACK... Hired a landscaping source from Thumbtack and - wanting to help a friendly young man expand his new business - I left a good review after our early and brief experience, when Daniel **/Harvest Garden filled our garden with instant impact. But by the next Spring, EVERYTHING was either a wildly overgrown mess or dead, and Daniel stopped returning my emails and calls. He also caused irreparable damage to our C/A compressor (which then needed to be replaced). The entire experience was a waste of time, money and goodwill. Thumbtack refused to remove my (good) review even after I described my miserable experience to administrators. I didn't ask to re-write a poor review; I asked only that they remove my ultimate inaccurate review. They refused. YOU CANNOT TRUST THE REVIEWS ON THUMBTACK.

Original review: April 21, 2019

I stopped using the site because it no longer helps me get legitimate leads for my business. Thumbtack was once legit, but thanks to the awful greed-driven changes implemented in 2018 this site just doesn't work for me at all anymore. Basically, it has become a complete waste of my money.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I was made aware to day that your budget for the system is set to weekly, i was under the impression the budget was for monthly. Sadly to say I discovered this 6 months after the wondering where my money was going. The leads are poor at best, people looking for a general contractor were asking for drywall repair, fixing railings and every other odd job other than GC type work. The company refuses to credit us any money back and we are no longer advertising with them. Out of the Proposed 62 leads at $60 each we did not find one client the needed our services. We are a 5 star company that is trying to be apart of these new streams of business. Beware of what you are signing up for with Thumbtack. Bad leads for an online form.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

Original review: April 18, 2019

Technician said he could download files off a hard drive. I gave him my old laptop and a new high-capacity flashdrive in a totebag. The project dragged on for weeks, with him continually either ignoring my polite texts or coming up with excuses about how he had run into "some problems" or was consulting with some other IT guys or had to purchase something to finish the project. Four months later, I finally told him to keep the advance I gave him (!) for his time and just send me back the tote bag. He agreed to but never did. I tried to get info from Thumbtack about whether they vet their so- "professionals" and they ignored the question. Even though I hired a computer technician through them once before and was satisfied, I won't use them again. 50/50 is not okay.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Thumbtack is an awful company. I never post reviews but this place has robbed me of $1500 in 3 months. They force you to have a credit card on file then all of a sudden you will get these "supposed" leads from random people that myself and many others think are fake. You have no choice but to get charged up to $85 even if you decline it. I've called and wrote them numerous times. There needs to be a class action suit brought against them.

Original review: April 11, 2019

When I joined Thumbtack it was a good useful service for contractors, I built a nice list of 5 star reviews and provided great service to the customers that used me. They have since changed their payment requirements from service providers and have taken quite a bit of money from me with NOT ONE secured job, they are charging crazy amounts of money for I believe fake leads. They charge when an email is sent, not when a contract is signed or job secured. Total rip off, I wasn't also told by customer service that they are giving 30 contractors names out on every lead that comes in from potential clients. WTF. I rarely search past the first page of Google when doing a search. Beware.

Original review: April 10, 2019

In searching for Contractors on THUMBTACK, I found a KNOWN CONTRACTOR who posted phoney reviews just to advertise his Company. The Contractors are not screened. They are allowed to use the site to list services in hopes that a prospective Customer will not check them out and simply believe the bogus reviews posted. This company is a Internet listing service for Contractors. Not in business to serve CUSTOMERS. The Contractor I have information on was once on HomeAdvisor, but had to shut down the listing on that site due to problems with breaching contracts. Please check out any Contractor listed on THUMBTACK with the BBB. You will quickly find out the real purpose of the site is to scam customers.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I have been scammed from Thumbtack. This is the worst company ever. They take money before you can respond and book the job. They have took over $100 in two days just to respond to the potential clients. Then when I don't have the gig, it's wasted money down the drained. This company is a joke and need to be shut down ASAP.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I have just read about every review on this site and I can say that I agree with each and every one of the reviews. Thumbtack companies practices is deplorable. If you see a request from a potential client, and you respond, good. When that potential client responds, not good. You the Pro are charged a great deal of money for that client respond. That's not good.

Most of the leads on their site are not properly vetted, and the potential client has no clue of what they want. I tend to think that the request are a hoax in order to gain money from the Pros. If two and three Pros receive a response from the client, each pro has to pay for that response. Thumbtack is milking money from the Pros. The Pros should not be charge for a response from a seeker. That's gouging.

Thumbtack also suggest you put money in a reserve account and let the fees come off of that account. That reserve account can be eaten up within one week with the seeker responses. That's not a good option. Again, price gouging by Thumbtack. Again, Pros should not be charged. After all, they are Pros. The seeker should be charged.

Thumbtacks business practices appear to be underhanded. Their module is unethical. Thumbtack is not good for those who are serious about their business. Rating them with 1-star is being lenient. I have express my concerns to Thumbtack via phone and email only to fall on deaf ears from the company. Thumbtack should be shut down until they develop better business practices.

Original review: April 2, 2019

So many changes have happened in Thumbtack the past year. First they raised the cost of using their site so much that I was suddenly paying hundreds of dollars per month. Then they changed it to 'pay when you send a quote- EVEN IF YOU DON'T BOOK THE GIG.' I had to raise my hourly rate to try to make up for the changes, but now I'm not getting customers! On top of that, I discovered multiple glitches on their phone app. I emailed customer service multiple times only to be told over and over again 'please send screenshots.' I sent them so many times I felt I wasn't interacting with a real person.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I used Jeremy ** for two years to do my taxes. My status changed because we moved out of an apartment and into a home. After paying this man I did a follow up on my address because it changed, I am to receive a refund. He got all of W2 and new home information. All our w2 have new address and he was aware we purchased a home. Well he sent tax return in with wrong address and blamed it on us. He Dumped problem in our laps. Because the IRS will send my refund to old address. He refitting fix the problem that he created by rushing through my tax return and not taking his time to be sure he made no mistakes. He does not stand by his work or his word.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I own a handyman service and have been with Thumbtack for 2 years. They recently changed their policy to charging you a few dollars per lead to now upwards of $75 for leads that never pan out. I have come to the conclusion that the leads are false just so they can charge you money. They will not give you any leads unless you agree to be charged a certain amount, $75 being the very least that you can agree to. Do not use this company. They drained my bank account and their customer service is horrible. The only reason I gave them one star is so I can move forward with leaving this review. They deserve zero stars and they also deserve a class action lawsuit.

Original review: March 28, 2019

We used to love working with Thumbtack. We were top pros. Then they started constantly changing things. Every time they changed things up all they did was screw things up. Now when they send us a request that they say the customer requested us personally. Us and 5 other pros they want like $38.71 for us to respond. We did it a couple of times but just lost our money. So now when a customer sends a request I decline them and tell them that it costs too much to respond.

Today I received a message from a customer that I had declined their request and was unable to respond to the customer. When I called Thumbtack they told me it was a technical problem and that they were looking into it. They sent an e-mail on our behalf telling the customer that there was a technical issue. Then I found out that when you decline a request because you feel it is too expensive they are sending a message to the customer the you don't have any availability that we are too busy to respond. So they are lying to people and being deceptive. I am done with this company.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Our company has been doing business with Thumbtack for about 1 1/2 years. Suddenly they told us that our account was deactivated because it was "linked" to another company and we don't meet their "high standards." What? After emailing, texting and calling several times, we have received nothing but canned answers and absolutely no explanation as to what they are talking about. After reading many of Thumbtack's 429 negative reviews online at the Better Business Bureau, we can see that they are doing this to many companies. Many of them have been greatly hurt by this action. Luckily we are not being hurt financially, but it is not right to impugn someone's character and tarnish their reputation without an explanation.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I am about to delete my account with them. Now they are charging you for consumers who choose you! Seriously this outfit is a joke, we have only ever paid money out for nothing in return. Do not use them, complete waste of time. They are the ones making money not you!

Original review: March 20, 2019

Thumbtack overcharged me for a some leads and they can't refund when the charges are over 30 days. It is their fault. They should not have limitations, they are ripping off service providers with many charges.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I have only been using Thumbtack for a few months but find myself in the same situation as most of the reviews I have read on here. I keep getting charged over and over for leads supposedly from people looking to have work done. When I respond to their request I never get a response from them. Be Careful if you decide to use this service.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I just deleted my account from their site. They were charging me for sending emails to which we never got replies. I was coming in half the budget amount, was local to the customers, gave our site with nothing but 5 star reviews and they would either not respond at all or I would have it showing the reviewed but never replied. Most of the high dollar cost were for graphic design where we are at $35.00 an hour, and my graphic artist has drawings in the local museum for Pete's sake, so talent is not the issue. Most places charge double that rate and take twice as long as she does. Then for the embroidery needs they were charging me half of what the order would normally cost someone. All I would ever get is request for 1 to 3 pieces with a name or something simple where we only charge $6.50 per item and we still did not get replies. Just constant charges to my credit card. This place is a scam in my opinion.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I was trying to get a massage. I did NOT want any weird massages or anything not on the up and up. I explained this to a Massage therapist and explained this to Thumbtack. And they blocked me. I spoke with customer service and showed them my emails and they still blocked me. I reached out to the owners and the board and they just blew me off and thought I was lying. UNBELIEVABLE IS ALL I CAN SAY!!

Original review: March 16, 2019

I was using Thumbtack for last 3 years until 2018 when they jacked up the prices on the leads, for example to bid on job lead that was before $4. Now they are charging $46 and that multiplies by 4 pro company's that do bid on the project. It ends up to be a good money maker (Scam) by Thumbtack, and plus on top of that with more than half of leads are fake. This needs to stop we are getting scammed by Thumbtack...

Original review: March 14, 2019

This business is completely unethical. I just had an issue resulting in $3K worth of property damage as a result of a thumbtack professional I hired in July 2018. After extensively reviewing their terms and conditions, exclusions and limitations I decided I met all the criteria and was good to proceed with my claim. Then I get an e-mail staying that the Thumbtack guarantee is null after 6-months from the date of completion. That is BS because nowhere on their exclusion and limitations did it mention.

After asking the representative to call me directly and show me in the contract where it says that I was given the run around. I received an second e-mail saying the same thing. I decided to double check the limitations and exclusions and conveniently enough it shows up as the LAST item on the list. That is total **. The Thumbtack group just added a new line item in order to avoid paying for damages. Talk about extreme unethical business practice. If anyone else can give insight to this or has come across this issue please chime in.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I agree with all the other business owners. I was actively a client of Thumbtack for over 5 years. In the last 2 years they changes their format and started charging exorbitant amounts for extremely unqualified leads that never respond. Such a high amount of leads that don't interact that it triggers suspicion when you have laid out over $$$$$ during the time and not one client added. They also allow people who just message you to review your services which can lead to competition sabotage and some weird 1 star reviews from random strangers who don't even know you.

SO your reputation takes a huge hit by this and they don't care-- even when you repeatedly explain that you don't know this person. My profile is down and I had over 30 5 star reviews from the 50+ hires. Their business model reeks of corporate greed and the results will be you are charges large amounts of money for nothing. STAY AWAY, IT IS A SCAM and you're better off going to other referral sites.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Thumbtack sends you fake clients that you end up paying for. You try to chat with this client with no reply. Money down the drain. Stay away. Once you get ahold of them they will not give you your money back.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Was trying to sign up and ask some questions - this is not easy to do. Forget about finding any information about the success of anyone on the site - I would say save your money. I could not access anything, who are these people, where are they out of? What are some compelling reasons to sign up? Is there any kind of warranted or implied agreement? Why do the developers at Thumbtack think that their clients are there to be robbed? Poorly executed, confusing, redundant, poor graphics, and no help desk.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I have been hiring lead generation companies for a decade. It’s frustrating and there is no guarantee of success. I have never paid a worse company with the worst customer service ever. First the leads are dubious at best. I would get an email that I was the only pro contacted; answer in one minute that I could be there ANY TIME AND FOR FREE and time and time again got no response - ok. 3 -5 responses out of 100 opportunities offering free immediate service with no obligation. The support is a joke where they throw one full after another at you to start over with no reference as to why has transpired in previous calls. They accuse you of being the problem “well you know we can’t control if customers call back”, “so you’re mad because you don’t get more calls?”.

It’s endless and pointless. The system is not reliable or stable as they are down a lot. In my case they were giving the customers who wanted to respond an email that was missing a letter so I responded to 63 leads at least that had no chance of ever getting to me. My fault? They would not listen as I spent hours on support at a time over two months. Each time they claimed they had no knowledge of previous calls and texts so they wanted to start over accusing me and giving me standard lines – It’s insanity! Always pushing for me to spend more or bashing my effort. I had a friend try To hire me as a test and I never even came up as an option in a dozen attempts. He lives next door!

The “leads” and opportunities are constantly cancelling (s) through Thumbtack and I am convinced many of them are contrived to look like they are generating leads. Now keep in mind I have used Google, Angie’s List, HomeAdvisor and many more services di. I am not a disgruntled rookie. These guys suck! Good way to go bankrupt and waste time. The end result after sending close to 100 responses in record time after notified by Thumbtack that someone was needing service AND OFFERING IMMEDIATE SERVICE OR ANYTIME THEY CHOSE. I got 3 jobs and only 6 return emails out 100 opportunities. Thanks Thumbtack! Very cheap shoppers at that.

They charged me randomly in a manner that makes no sense at all. Wayyy too much time wasted answering inquiries and getting treated like an idiot by their horrible Service Agents. In my industry this service is the worst I have ever seen by a mile. I gave them months of my time and effort and even tried to let them Fix the problems technical and otherwise. I truly suspect they are Cheating and churning bogus leads because I could do better knocking on doors or calling random people on the phone than their “leads” and “opportunities” from people supposedly needing my service. Bad bad bad.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I've been using Thumbtack for many years. We're a top pro. The highest listed in our area and have many many reviews which earned us a 5 star rating. When we first began Thumbtack was making us some really good money. Each lead cost around $8 and we were hired about 20% of the time. Very nice ROI. BUT RECENTLY, it has changed a lot. Let me break it down.

They used to show you when clients viewed your quotes. Not anymore. They used to refund your money if a client never viewed or responded to a quote. Not anymore. The best reviewed and responsive pros used to top the search results. Not anymore. They used to tell you how much you're going to pay BEFORE you quote someone. Not anymore. And many other important but more complicated changes that grind my gears, like how their budgets work. And how being promoted is a sham...etc.

They tell me these are "requests from their pros". How dumb do they think we are. And at the same time that all these tools to manage our effectiveness and money management are disappearing their prices are rising, for us 463% (yeah, I did the math over a large test period). It's damn near scandalous. I've tried getting info from their support team, and solutions to some of the "technical issues" they say my account is having which is costing me more money. But it's really just them blowing smoke up my... Honestly, we're done.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I have been Thumbtack for over 5 years. I have weathered they constant changes, been there thru their growing pains. The bigger they get, the less they care about their Pros. They are always changing the rules of the game without telling anyone. Latest installment is they changed it so that as a Pro you can no longer see if your quote has been seen by the customer. That ability has always been there, as a Pro, you want and need to know your quotes are being reviewed. I just finished a chat session with them were I was told this was requested by the Pros and Thumbtack supports it to further promote Pros being in contact with the customers. I call B.S. What Pro or customer wants to nag or be nagged. I always follow up with my quotes but only once unless it is in response to their questions. This process has worked out just fine for me, customers have appreciated it.

It looks like this new change is designed to have everyone “Promoted” on their site, where you do not get to choose what quotes you want to submit, they decide for you. And of course with that goes expenses that you did not plan on. Those additional expenses add up very fast, as I did try it for a month. My “quotes” cost me $780, of which most I would never have quoted on (video recording a wedding in a hot air balloon). This is another feature that Thumbtack said Pros requested. Yea, right!!! I have never come close to that high a bill in any other month over the 5 years. Since I opted out of that, I now fall into the group of quotes that may or may not be seen.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I’ve started a profile on Thumbtack. Right away I was charged $55. I called them. They said, "Anytime a client reaches out to you, you have to pay for the lead". I told them the person never responded. They said it happens sometimes. Well I quit having them promote my business. I started deciding the jobs I will want to do. I responded to 18 leads. Not one responded. I called them and they said that my profile isn’t in the promoted section anymore so clients won’t respond. I said, "So you're telling me the only way my profile is visible is if I let you dictate my leads so that you can charge me when someone sends me a message". She said, "We value contractors that let us promote their business". I told them to cancel my profile. Straight Scam. I’ve been charged over $275 and not one job I went and gave them an estimate. Someone needs to investigate this site. I guarantee that they are making fake leads to generate money. #Followthemoney.

Thumbtack expert review by Joseph Truini

Thumbtack is a website that connects homeowners with service providers in their local area. This online company offers more than 200,000 active professionals available in all 50 U.S. states.

• Customized quotes: Homeowners can provide specific information about services they need and receive customized quotes from a range of professionals.

• Customer reviews: The site compiles customer reviews so you know you’re hiring someone who’s experienced, trusted and reputable.

• Fast hiring: Customers can hire a bath-remodeling professional with the click of a button once they have received quotes. Simply type into the search box what you need—bath remodel, bath tiling, bath vent fan installation, etc.—then follow a few simple prompts to receive a list of local contractors.

• Photos and videos: Service providers offer videos and photographs of their past projects so customers can see the workmanship firsthand.

• Messaging options: Thumbtack offers customers and professionals several communication options, including online messaging and direct phone communication to arrange the details of a project.

• Best for: Thumbtack is best for people who need help finding professionals for an affordable bath-remodeling project.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Thumbtack Company Information