1.12/5

Looking for a home improvement contractor?

312 Thumbtack Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Do NOT use Thumbtack for your business. We have been with them for almost 2 years. We began by paying for the credits, then they added Instant Match and we went with that option. They sent quotes and you were only charged if you engaged in a conversation with the customer. It worked great until a few months ago. Because it was working well, I trusted them. BAD decision on my part. We had a request yesterday for an event that we needed to decline because we are booked. When I went to decline, a message popped up telling me that we had already been charged. This prompted me to do a complete analysis of our account. I stopped counting at 27 customers that we had been charged for, but never had any contact with.

As I looked closer, I could tell a difference in these requests. They would say scripted things like, "Are you available on my date?", "Does the photo booth require an attendant?" "I'd love to chat, when are you available?". This would be followed up by texts every few minutes from Thumbtack telling us to get back with the customer, in order to keep our rating. I am quite sure that these are coming straight from Thumbtack in order to charge us. Not one customer ever got back with us. I spoke with Chris in Customer Service and he confirmed that there had been a change, but couldn't give me a date.

We were not made aware of any change. Thumbtack should be ashamed of stealing money from their customers. They had a great system going, but obviously they were too greedy. I defended them to my husband, who is my business partner, but he was SO right. They have robbed us of several hundred dollars. I repeat, DO NOT use them if you are a business! There is one star because a star rating was required. My actual review is -10!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I definitely think that Thumbtack is a big fraud right now. Instead to bring jobs it makes me financial broken! With their crazy policies they can charge you for fake requests, wrong requests (through fake clients). Even you don't answer a request they charge you a lot of money. It is very difficult to reach the customer service (sitting in India of course). It’s a bad thing. I will report it to BBB for sure.

Get expert buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

One star is even too much, but you have to rate something to leave a review here. I think it’s ridiculous that they charge you so much to send a quote and then you never book the job! I’m a face painter and they talked me into doing “instant match” to book jobs which automatically charges you every time the site sends a quote on your behalf. They were charging my credit card over $100 a month for jobs that I never got. When I’d call to complain, they said they only charge for what sounds like will be a promising booking??!! Such BS!

I honestly think they have someone trolling cause today I got a request that someone is interested in me face painting at their party... 450 miles away! So if I respond to the request, they will charge me some crazy price like $20.23! The funny thing... another request was sent from the SAME NAME, same number of people to be face painted... Only this request was only 12 miles away. What are the chances that there are 2 “Jennifer **” needing face painting for the same number of kids on the same date, same time... just different cities? They are ripping people off BIG TIME!!!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

In October 2018 Thumbtack changed how they operate. They back you into a corner to get promoted and you have to turn on your instant match. Someone will see you (if it is not a troll working with or for Thumbtack) and select your profile to send them information. You as the vendor can then accept and response, explain your services and fees and try to get the job, or decline the request because after reviewing the information you are just not comfortable bidding on it. Either way if you ACCEPT or DECLINE Thumbtack charges you a fee. So anyone at any time can click your profile, with a fake job request and you have to pay for it. As I explained to them, The Vendor needs some right of passage! The system they have set up leaves none in place, the vendor's money is always in jeopardy.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I've been with Thumbtack since 2011. I helped build this company. They helped me build my business. I am the Kansas City Dog Whisperer. I have been a Thumbtack Pro for several years. I have been hired nearly 200 times. That is over now. At one time it worked well for me. Buy 2 credits... make a bid. If I got the job great. If not, no great loss. It was worth $2.37 to get my name in front of someone. Not any more. Now it may cost me $100 or more to get one $300 job. That won't work. The requests began drying up right around March or April 2018. I made adjustments and tried to continue but it ain't working for me anymore. They are more interested in ripping off pros now than helping them build and maintain a business. I would never recommend them to a small startup now. I refuse to pay for contacts for 'looky loos' that are just shopping and wasting my time and money.

I'm keeping my profile up but I have added a paragraph asking potential clients to contact me directly and stating I will no longer respond to requests for bids if they contact me through Thumbtack as Thumbtack will charge me whether I'm hired or not and that I can no longer afford their fees. Basically Thumbtack has tanked my business to a large extent. Luckily I have built a great reputation and have over 130 verified 5-star reviews online and no negative ones. So my run with Thumbtack is over. Thumbtack... you have some filthy money grubbing scumbags running your company now! I wish I could tell you what I really think of you! Thanks for nothing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I joined in 2017 as a PRO service provider as a graphic designer. I won most jobs I bid on. It was working great. Then, Thumbtack changed the system by switching to matching customers with pros. Never got another job. I believe most of the jobs are fake or pure fraud. I know other pros that use Thumbtack. They have had the exact same experience. Thumbtack may have been a legit service at one time but now it's a total fraud.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

My name is Michael and I own a local plumbing company in the central Texas area. We had Thumbtack blowing up our phones trying to sell us on being one of their vendors. I was really hesitant at first but after talking it over with my wife we decided to try it out. We had this sleaze ball named Seth ** who was calling us trying to get our credit card to get money out of us. He told us that Thumbtack was in the process of fixing their issues to be a more professional medium between homeowners and professional service providers (ie Angie's List, HomeAdvisor etc). They said that they were weeding out all the non licensed, non professional service providers and that they were going to be a better generator of leads. Unfortunately against my better judgement and intuition I believed them. Huge mistake.

After giving Seth my credit card info so they could ‘credit’ money to my account he passed us off to Monica **, this is where the huge issues began happening. She was supposed to be our contact person for Thumbtack and basically facilitate this transition of the old ** Thumbtack to the new and improved one. We had an initial phone call with her to go over a few things, they told us the phone call would only take 30 minutes, Monica kept us on the phone for 1 1/2hrs!! Absolutely ridiculous, thanks Monica, it’s not like we have a business to run or anything! Just keep on yakking away. I should’ve seen right then and there that there were going to be issues. Still, I tried to be fair and give them a shot. Anyways after a few weeks of giving Thumbtack our best efforts to make it work and trying different tactics that have all worked for us on Facebook, Google, Angie’s List and HomeAdvisor, nothing seemed to be working.

The Thumbtack lead quality is just not there, it turned out to be a huge waste of time & money for my business. I tried to contact our middle person, Monica to address the fact that their ** leads weren’t worth a damn and that I wanted all my money back that I had used to credit my account. Of course as soon as I wanted my money back and wanted help in addressing my issues Monica turned into a ghost. She disappeared and was nowhere around for help. She has completely ignored my emails and phone calls for several days now. This type of behavior is so disgustingly unprofessional and rude. I don’t understand how any of these people got their jobs in the first place. It seems to be a trend with Thumbtack, nothing but garbage and the absolute worst employees. Piss poor customer service and zero communication skills. These people are not professionals and do not act with integrity, they are all a group of thieves.

Thumbtack is a corrupt and thieving organization and I don’t suspect that they will be in business for too much longer. It wasn’t until all these problems started happening that I went onto Google and saw all the hundreds and hundreds of other bad reviews that people have been leaving for Thumbtack. They have a 1 out of 5 star rating out of almost one thousand individual reviews. That’s amazing, they’ve really hit a new all time low. What a corrupt ** of an organization Thumbtack is, and ALL of their employees that I’ve ever had the misfortune of dealing with are 100 percent reflective of that original assessment.

I really really hope someone in charge over there at Thumbtack reads this and reaches out too me regarding this issue. The primary reason that I am sharing this review is because as soon as I wanted my money back they completely disappear on me and no longer respond to my phone calls or emails. What an absolute joke these people are, I can’t say enough bad, nasty stuff about them. If you are a business owner who is a licensed professional in any of the trades, I would highly recommend that you steer clear of Thumbtack and people like Seth & especially Monica. They will take your money gladly but completely disappear when you need help or want your money back.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I live in a three level townhome. It's just a normal sized townhome with one gutter in the front and one in the back. I asked for quotes for gutter cleaning. Nothing needs fixed. I just need the leaves to be removed like I do every three months which usually costs less than $90. I received a ton of quotes within thirty minutes. They were just blurting out these high amounts (as high as $700 but most around $350) and when I would bring it to their attention that the price was too high they would offer something lower. Thumbtack is for scam artists.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I am a photographer and videographer that started using Thumbtack to get work in 2015. Went fine for 2 years. Then right after I purchased credits to bid jobs, they completely changed the way it worked. Charged 5 times more, stopped using credits, and more. When I contacted them for a refund, they stated that they "don't give refunds." VERY dishonest. Do NOT give them your business. If you are seeking a wedding photographer, and go to Thumbtack for a bid, they are charging each person as much as a 100 dollars to reply...guess where that money gets tacked on?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I run my own CAD design business that encompasses many different disciplines including mechanical, piping design, swimming pool design, interior design, architectural design, 3D modeling, renderings, etc. So I can't really lock down exactly everything I do in one simple description or standard profile. I've been in business 3 years now, and I signed up on Thumbtack pretty much right at the start. I listed off the many different things I do to try and relate how Thumbtack works, or is supposed to work rather. I had to set up alerts for the various forms of jobs I do, so I would get notifications for when a job is posted that may, and I say MAY, fit my criteria. So I would get notifications for 3D modeling, interior design, architectural, etc.

When I first started on Thumbtack, the system used to be set up to where you would spend X amount of money to buy credit packs that you would then use to bid on the job. Some jobs would cost maybe 5 credits while others 10, and so on. How much was each of those credits worth? Well you never really knew since the price varied depending on how many credits you actually buy.

Also at this time, only 5 Pros were able to bid on any given job before it gets locked. That could happen in under a minute. So you would have to be constantly waiting and ready to read a possible brief description and decide whether you want to spend the credits in a short amount of time before being able to really think things through. With that being said, I did manage to get maybe 10 clients, of which half I still have as clients for multiple repeat jobs, even though they were only looking for 1 time jobs when they posted. I have several reviews and a 5 star rating.

They have since changed that system. Now instead of buying credits, you pay only if a potential customer contacts you. Since this system had come along, I haven't gotten a single client. It has just cost me money. Their policy now is that if the customer responds to your quote in ANY way other than an instant "No thank you", you get charged. How much do you get charged? Well that depends. Depends on what? I don't know. I spent 20 minutes on the phone with someone in customer service that couldn't tell exactly how they decide what to charge you.

I found this out after I saw that I was billed $50.94 for something that happened a month ago. This apparently from a job posting where I sent my information to a possible client, who responded back with 1 sentence saying she was interested in hearing an idea I had to save her money. I tried responding back to her and there was zero communication after that one sentence. Yet Thumbtack thought that 1 sentence was worthy of charging me $51. It also must be said that I think 15 other people bid on this job and the no one was ever shown as hired through Thumbtack, nor was the job canceled. Assuming that this person contacted all 15 of those businesses that bid on the job, Thumbtack managed to steal a collective $764.10 from these people. I use steal very literally since that is exactly what this company is doing.

The customer service agent then tried to justify this by saying that they are now a marketing company. Except they aren't a marketing company. A marketing company actually takes the time to promote the people that pay them for their service. This company just has potential customers barely fill out a minimalistic form (that has been requested several times to be updated so we as pros can know exactly what the customer is needing and whether it would be a fit for us, which they have failed to do for years) and then show it to you as a match. If you choose to then try and bid and are contacted back in anyway, they steal a ridiculous amount of money from you. This is what they consider is marketing.

If you are a professional looking to find new clients, DO NOT use this service in any way. They rob you of your money for something that you can find just as easily for free on Craigslist or any other job site for free. This company is a complete scam, will take just take your money and you will receive nothing from it. I have my credit card company fighting this above mentioned transaction as I type this. I'm now moving on to the BBB to inform them of this company as well.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Thumbtack is using an unorthodox method of charging for their services. It is equally unclear what they bill you for. As a professional musician, it is my experience that all other online booking services do not charge until the booking is complete. In other words the booking has been confirmed between the client and the vendor. Plus, a deposit has been paid to the vendor. Thumbtack, however charges for communication between clients and providers. I was charged for a booking that never happened; never took place. This method of charging is a new procedure that is unlike their old procedure--leading to this surprise billing they placed on my credit card on file with them.

I will not do any business with Thumbtack until they change this greedy, dishonest, unprofessional way of billing vendors when the vendor received absolutely no booking with the client whatsoever. This is not a good business practice or model at all. There are other companies that do not charge their vendors until after the vendor has received a confirmed booking and even a deposit. Who does Thumbtack think they are? They either need to change their ways of doing business, or they need to be put out of business. They are cheating many small vendors out of their money. In effect, stealing from vendors. If they want to charge a one time fee upfront once a year like the other companies that I do business with, that is fine. But as of right now they are nickel and diming a person to death. And we as a vendor receive nothing but a bill from Thumbtack.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Andres and his father are wonderful communicators. Their care and quality of work is high. Their workers are efficient and clean up was excellent. I have no hesitation in recommending their service. Quote came in the morning and the work was completed that same afternoon. Can't beat that!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I'm in the computer repair business and I signed up as a pro on Thumbtack in mid 2013. I joined just to give it a shot and to make some extra money. Most of my business comes via word of mouth and from people searching on Google. I did well with Thumbtack from 2013 - late 2017. I was hired over 160 times and I had a 4.8 star rating with over 70 reviews. I would buy 30 credits every two months or so and I was getting about 3 jobs a month pretty consistently. In late 2017 I started getting emails about instant match and I read up on how it worked. I didn't like it so I never enabled it.

For my line of work I need to personally view the request and decide if I want to quote on the job and if I want to charge by the hour or flat rate. I didn't want Thumbtack forcing me to flat rate everything and making decisions for me on what to quote on. So I stuck with the old system, it worked well for me. I noticed around March of 2018 fewer and fewer requests were coming in, to the point where there were zero requests coming in. I thought this was very odd. I suspected pros who had instant match enabled were getting preferential treatment and getting the requests because the timing of all this coincided with the rollout of instant match.

I called a few times to ask them about this and they assured me that wasn't the case but couldn't tell me why after 5 years the requests suddenly dried up. Something stunk. I was told by a Thumbtack CS rep. on the phone in early 2018 about the new "pay if contacted" system that is now currently in place. I told him back then, several months before it was implemented, that it sounded like a train wreck. I went through a list of reasons as to why I thought that. I recall him even saying, and I'm paraphrasing, "pros may have sticker shock when we roll this out". Guess what? It's here and it's a train wreck and the pros have sticker shock.

On the old system most quotes in my field of work were 2 credits. So if I recall correctly I was paying $3.34 per quote. If I got the job, great, if I didn't it was $3.34 out of my pocket and the customer still had my contact information. Now for the same range of jobs I need to pay $7.79 to upwards of $35 per quote if somebody decides to "contact me" i.e... send me a message to ask a question or just waste my time, or call me, even if I don't pick up the phone and they never talk to me or they don't leave a voicemail. Keep in mind I may only make $60 on some jobs, IF I GET THE JOB, so $7.79 - $40 per "contact" is large chunk of change to me, it quickly adds up, especially if I don't get hired. If I were doing mostly $500 jobs I wouldn't feel it as much. I simply can't afford to be charged those rates.

One last thing, somebody else mentioned that Thumbtack sent a response to a client on the pro's behalf. I had this happen to me about a month ago. I got what I thought was a message from a possible client via the Thumbtack phone app saying they were interested in hiring me and wanted to know how to proceed. There was something weird about it and I held off responding. I later checked my account on my computer and I didn't see this message. What I saw was a message from Thumbtack saying something like "so and so checked your profile out, send them a message". Then I saw a message sent to that person from my account that I never sent.

I called them up and I was like, "WTF is going on?" The person on the phone started babbling about their automated response system or some ridiculous thing and I was charged .79 cents. It was an automated message Thumbtack sent out on my behalf. I told him to refund the amount and that I don't want them to ever send a message to somebody on my behalf ever again. Basically they were trying to force an interaction between myself and somebody who happened to look at my profile. That person never really contacted me. Something very strange is going on with this company and I will no longer be dealing with them. It really is a shame because I had a very good run with them when things were simple. I buy credits, I decide who I want to send a quote to, if they view my quote, the credits are deducted. Straightforward, it worked well. I have to hand it to them, they tanked their entire company within a year. Way to go.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I recently signed up my business through Thumbtack and was billed a $39 annual charge that I was not informed of and also sent a quote, received a short response and was billed $31.82 just for the response. I personally think that’s a rip off being billed before even getting the job. They are all about the money.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Like all the other people are saying, Something is not right here. There are too many problems to name. This Site is doing more harm than good in the world and something needs to happen. Where are the FTC or the BBB on this? Thumbtack is stealing from people and hurting a ton of businesses. We received a request for Home cleaning and the quote cost was for $23+. The customer contacted all 15 pros and never hired anyone of the 15 for the job by the way. So Thumbtack made nearly 400 dollars off of 15 different persons and no job was ever completed at all. Somebody needs to investigate. Now and not later. Change needs to happen Now.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I spoke with the accounting department at Thumbtack today regarding my service plan after looking at funds being drawn from my bank for their service. I notice that the amount was different every time when I respond to a potential client. I have a business providing background checks and of course our rates are the same no matter where clients are calling from.

Well after talking with Thumbtack accounting this is what he explained to me. I was being charged more depending on 3 criteria, 1. Location: If a client is from out of state Thumbtack charges you more. 2. Demographics: Depending on how many other Professional's in your area Thumback will charge you more. In other words, the more businesses in your area with similar services Thumbtack will charge your more. If there are fewer similar business they still charge you the same rate! So here's the catch, the more similar businesses on Thumbtack the higher the rate and the more money Thumbtack make. 3. Thumbtack was charging me an average of $11.13 per message even if a customer just wanted to know what my rates were. That's $11.13 per message people not new clients. Hell I can do that with email for free!

Thumbtack is like Attorneys, they take your money just if someone has a question. Most customers on Thumbtack are just "inquiring" about service, that doesn't mean they will hire you. I was paying Thumbtack an average of $80 a week just answer questions. Thumbtack will not share this information unless you look up how much your fees will be beforehand. They're like Insurance companies, they'll take your money but it will be guarantee results if anything will happen. I'm surprised they are still in business. Don't waste your money on this company!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I hired a "Pro" through Thumbtack. The "Pro" turned out to be a scam artist who would take your deposit and disappear. Thumbtack does not check their pros and it is easy to for scammers to create fake positive reviews. Myself and another consumer posted a review on the "Pro" within minutes of each other, victims of the same scam. Thumbtack removed the"Pro" and the reviews, effectively hiding the evidence that it is happening there. Thumbtack is very effective at bringing consumers to scammers.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I second everything that other Pros are saying in these reviews. Being charged for being "hired" even though you haven't spoken with that person let alone been hired. I got a refund when that happened but they took months. I get very few usable leads and the last straw for me was when I turned on Instant Match and got charged all kinds of money for being "properly introduced" to a potential client. That equated to the person viewing my profile, even if I wasn't interested in them and never contacted them via the Thumbtack chat service. If I had actually quoted the person personally that would be one thing but when I'm dismissing most of these referrals and not making any contact I don't know why I'm being charged (they tried to explain but I am not satisfied with their response).

Also, as others have said, their pricing doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason other than you tell them how much you're willing to spend for leads per month and they try to make sure they find a way to charge you that. Even when you aren't getting good leads or aren't making contact with the people. I think I've gotten a total of two clients the entire time I've been on Thumbtack (several years). Stay away. Pay for Google ads, Facebook ads, word of mouth, etc.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I have periodically used Thumbtack as a Pro for 2 years. I recently responded to a request and received a $42 charge for following up a lead. The previous charge was $10.02. Responding to a lead does not guarantee the job. So, they how many times do they benefit from pros responding to the same job and receiving $42 each time. I asked them to justify the exorbitant increase and all I received was a robotic text response. Please as a Pro, stay away from this company and App. It is a total rip off and scam.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I requested contractors who can do bathroom remodeling and Thumbtack responded to my request recommending contractors. Little did I know that Thumbtack does not do background check on contractors. I was so unfortunate to pick a contractor recommended by Thumbtack (i.e., SJM Remodeling - Steve ** contractor) who is a total scam. The contractor gave a quote and asked for deposit before job even started. Trusting that Thumbtack would have screened all their recommended contractors, I agreed to the deposit. But contractor kept giving excuses why he could not start job as scheduled and now would not even return the deposit. Both Thumbtack and SJM Remodeling are total scam...

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Marked as hired. So the new policy is that you don't pay unless you're contacted or marked as hired. Well I just got marked as hired yet there was no communication at all after I sent the quote. So I was charged 13.50 for this bogus lead. I called customer service who refused to refund my money but would instead keep it and give me a one time courtesy credit. What??!! I smell something fraudulent here.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I used Thumbtack in 2016 and did receive a few staging jobs. I paid almost a thousand dollars in 2017 and 2018 and feel that none of the leads were credible. I do not think this is a legit service only a money making machine with no way for advertisers to make any money. They charge $45 if someone emails or calls you. It is very suspicious. I included my price for home staging in my emails. I got calls from the ‘supposed’ client asking the price. Immediately after Thumbtack charged me $45.00. I am going to report them to the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General. This business is a scam.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Thumbtack's pricing is out of whack! They have lost touch with reality. I am a DJ/Singer and they have now changed their pricing plan to where the cost per lead has gone through the roof! A potential client ask me a question and I was charged $30 for the lead. If I was hired, I wouldn't have a problem paying the $30... but for a lead??? I also question the validity of these so called leads. I will guarantee that some of the leads are generated by Thumbtack and are BS. I gave them a second chance and they changed the pricing again, making it not affordable and basically screwing pros over. Extremely disgusted.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I have been a pro with them for years and generated a lot of income in the past... then they came out with a new system where the pro pays when they are contacted. My success rate drop beyond measure. I swear it is Thumbtack sending us messages just to increase their bottom line! They need the have a verification process on their customers, just like they do with the Pro's, so the Pro's know they are dealing with legit customers. There is no need for a customer to get 15 Pro's contacting them; and the customer reaches out to 10 or more of the Pro with a 'What's Next?' bot reply. Each charging the pro a fee meaning Thumbtack is then making more than the pro on the job.

I smell a class action lawsuit in the making. What an easy way for a company to make money... just charge all of their pro's for a contact. Have 10-12 people sit in the back room and say 'What's next?'... and not a single reply after when the Pro takes the time to respond as they just paid 30-70 for the message. Brilliant until they are caught. Bet they will be losing a lot of Pro's in the coming months.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

They increased their rates by 500% or more - Their service is a joke. They have been making more and more changes which always result in way more money for them and totally screws their pros. They encourage customers to generate as much income for them as possible and don't care that it wastes their subscribers time AND cost us a TON of money with no return whatsoever. Don't get sucked into their terrible pricing model.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I used to love Thumbtack. 2 companies I have worked for used Thumbtack and my old construction company did as well. I started a new construction company and set everything up earlier in 2018, right when Thumbtack started changing from a credits to its new way of charging the pros. First few bids go through no problem, few jobs, everything's good. Then I get a $75 dollar charge for a bathroom remodel because the customer asked "Do you have any references". I responded within minutes that I do and I have several reviews on Thumbtack, Facebook, Google and give many more. The customer never read my response, never responded or did anything on Thumbtack again. I sent the "needs more information" bid because all it was saying was bathroom remodel. No price ranges or anything were offered, no details as to the remodeling or timeline.

I have experience this problem with a different better known lead provider and didn't want to have 10 of these "responses" hit me on the same day so I stopped sending any bids. I wait several weeks (to make sure nothing updated with the customer I never got to talk to) and contacted Thumbtack. When this happens with other lead services normally they will try to work with me and maybe credit some of the charge back if I can show there was not enough contact to have either myself or the customer make any decisions or chances to bid. But Thumbtack says there is nothing they can do and I have to pay the $75 dollars if I want to continue using Thumbtack.

I pointed out that there was no indication of a price range for the lead itself when I sent this, like there currently is. I pointed out that the customer didn't read the message or log back into thumbtack after sending me the 5 word email. They just repeated they can't do anything about it. My advice is to stay away, if you budget for any leads go somewhere else.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

So I have tried your instant matching and gotten nothing. I have sent responses to people that asked if I was available saying yes I am. Yet still no business. Every time I respond to a request I pay 45 to 70 dollars and get no business? This use to be a lead generating service and I would get a certain amount of business based on how many quotes I submitted that ran around 4 to 8 dollars a quote. I thought that was a little high but ok. But now I get almost no leads and when I get one it cost a huge price yes to answer the question Are you available. It is ridiculous and I am guess there needs to be a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I have been a Thumbtack Pro for about a year. They used to charge you only when you landed a job. Now it's when you're contacted. So you could be contacted, be charged $75.00, even if you do not land the contract. So if 5 contractors reply, and the customer contacts 4 of them, Thumbtack gets $300 whether the consumer hires one of them or not. It's crooked business... Please as a pro, DO NOT use this app. As a consumer, go to other sources to find contractors for your projects.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I have been using Thumbtack as a pro for over a year. I own a house cleaning business and have spent a good sum of money with Thumbtack. When I started using Thumbtack, everyone wrote their own quotes and sent them. It wasn’t long until they introduced instant match. This is where they will get you. If you don’t use instant match, you rarely get the jobs because your quote is slower than the instant quotes. If you use instant match, you have zero chance to read the job request and decide if you want the job. They have this cute little button at the bottom that says DECLINE, but you’re actually not allowed to use this button.

I have declined on several jobs and was charged anyway because they deemed it a valid match. Why is there a decline button if you aren’t allowed to use it. This makes zero sense. I have become very disappointed with this company because they’ve gotten very greedy and give business owners no power over what they want to accept or decline. I will no longer be using Thumbtack. Period.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

At first, I was roped into Thumbtack believing as a freelance photographer, it would help grow my business. At this point, all I have accomplished is unfair and insane charges! For one, the charges are OUTRAGEOUS considering they are based on a customer being able to simply click a quick response and BOOM, the pro is charged. For two, availability options are limited to choosing the same hours for the entire week, rather than hours of availability PER DAY, as it is quite ridiculous to expect Pros to have the SAME schedule 7 days per week. And lastly, they do not foster good customer service etiquette - copy and paste from FAQ's should not be a way of 'clarifying' your unreasonable charges to Pros. I AM BEYOND DISGUSTED with Thumbtack's scam service!

Thumbtack expert review by Joseph Truini

Thumbtack is a website that connects homeowners with service providers in their local area. This online company offers more than 200,000 active professionals available in all 50 U.S. states.

• Customized quotes: Homeowners can provide specific information about services they need and receive customized quotes from a range of professionals.

• Customer reviews: The site compiles customer reviews so you know you’re hiring someone who’s experienced, trusted and reputable.

• Fast hiring: Customers can hire a bath-remodeling professional with the click of a button once they have received quotes. Simply type into the search box what you need—bath remodel, bath tiling, bath vent fan installation, etc.—then follow a few simple prompts to receive a list of local contractors.

• Photos and videos: Service providers offer videos and photographs of their past projects so customers can see the workmanship firsthand.

• Messaging options: Thumbtack offers customers and professionals several communication options, including online messaging and direct phone communication to arrange the details of a project.

• Best for: Thumbtack is best for people who need help finding professionals for an affordable bath-remodeling project.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Thumbtack Company Information