Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.21/5

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Thumbtack Reviews

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

Tony ** is the Picasso of the upholstery trade. He reupholstered damaged dining and bar chairs so beautifully they look like new and will serve for many more years. He is professional, prompt, prices are very fair, and the quality of the work is excellent.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Robert sheetrocked, taped and textured new construction in my basement. A room, 12X12 and an 45 ft wall were completed. He worked efficiently and with great detail resulting in exceptional outcome. He had great suggestions and innovative ideas. Rob also showed up reliably to work on this project.

Get buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 26, 2019

Mike ** did an amazing job on our free standing shower. He apparently takes pride in his work and it showed! It is hard to find someone with integrity and having their work speak for itself! Thank you Mike! License # **

Original review: July 4, 2019

When I contacted the owner of Dreams2Reality Events & More LLC and had my first discussion about my wedding I was put at ease by her ideas that she brought forward. After a few discussion, all I had to do was to make my payment to her and the rest one would say is history. She took care of everything - the cake, the venue (church and reception room), the photographer, the programme, my dress, souvenir - everything. When I went to get look at possible wedding dresses, she had pick out one for me. It fitted perfectly without her taking my measurement and the design was beautiful. I had a stress-free wedding with very little input and changes from me. I would recommend this company/the wedding planner to anyone who have not formulated exactly what they want for their wedding and who wishes to have a stress-free wedding. Vashti

Original review: June 26, 2020

I am a freelance photographer with 26 years of experience. When the economy slowed, I relocated and was looking for a new way of finding clients. I have been selective on the project I've bid on and only on those that I can deliver quality images on. They claim to credit you for clients that don't follow through but they only keep a balance to spend on future bids. Their customized leads will cost you whether want them or not and some leads receive a generated quote that you'd never send, they're truly lowball numbers that I cannot honor. After spending nearly $75, I am yet to be booked on any of their leads but they keep generating questionable leads.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

Original review: June 19, 2020

A&E Roofing, Roof Repair or Maintenance was a no show - missed 6/7/2020 appt. American Quality Roof Repair of Orlando FL was a no show - missed 6/10/2020 appt. Contacted Home Advisor and received 3 roof inspections and estimates within a week. I will no longer use Thumbtack for any future jobs, not reliable.

Original review: June 2, 2020

They don't tell you that you get charged for getting MESSAGES. They don't tell you if and what you're getting charged for. I have over $130 in charges from people I've never talked to, from "leads" I never knew about. How is this legal?!? SHADY. They make it hard to even talk to someone at Thumbtack. SHADY SHADY SHADY. If I could give them -1000 stars I would. Terrible for them to exploit people looking for work during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Original review: May 27, 2020

I had signed up for Thumbtack as a contractor providing services. No good fits in my area for more than 6 months, then, out of the blue, Thumbtack charges me for a job straight up, a job that was a very bad fit for me, and which I never had a chance to compete for. They claim that targeting was on for my account, I do not know why it was turned on, why it took six months for the first charge to go through, or why the targeting preferences were so off that it was impossible for me to accommodate that particular job. I can tell you there were were two profiles under my business account, and this by itself raises severe questions on how my account was set up.

In any case, Thumbtack initially agreed to refund the charges, only to find out later that they had not refunded the credit card that was charged, but they provided "store credit" that can only be used on future Thumbtack charges. Problem is that I am NOT planning on using Thumbtack EVER AGAIN. I absolutely refuse to conduct business with a company that insists on scamming $10.43 out of my pocket, through a charging glitch that gave it access to my credit card account, and is using all tricks in the unethical company playbook to get me to have future engagements with them by refusing to issue a direct refund to my credit card. Shameful bait and switch tactics that nobody should have to go through.

Original review: May 26, 2020

A bunch of thieves stealing your money by sending fake leads. I received many leads for my security guard business. I intentionally give them a price below market value, offered discounts and additional services but still I didn’t get the job. The so-called clients didn’t even respond to my requests or questions. They send you fake leads and pocket your money.

In another occasion a client called me for an event guard service. Per our policy the clients should pay 50% of the total fee in advance but she wasn’t willing to pay. She didn’t hire us but left a negative review on Thumbtack. We urged Thumbtack to remove this review as it was irrelevant. However Thumbtack did not remove it because Thumbtack wants me to pump more money to get more reviews by new customers. The only way I get rid of this negative review is to get at least 10 new reviews on top of it. This is how they force you to spend more money just to hide an even irrelevant negative review. STAY AWAY AND SAVE YOUR $$$.

Original review: May 18, 2020

I hired a company "LATTA PAINT AND FLOOR" in the Birmingham, Alabama area for paint work in a house I had just purchased at the time. When Kristian Latta (owner) came out to my home, he sat on my sofa after painting for a few minutes. At this time, my 18 pound dog jumped up on the ottoman in front of him. He then reached his hand as far back as he could and struck her on her rear, causing her to fly from the ottoman and crash into the sofa head first. He then made a repulsive comment about what he had done that I can't post here out of concern that the review will be removed.

Because of what had happened, and how unstable he clearly is, I posted my 1 star review, and waited a year later until I moved out (and he didn't have my address) to post the text on my review. I recently was randomly thinking about my awful experience over this previous weekend, and decided to look up, “LATTA PAINT AND FLOOR” on Thumbtack, and found that the text of my review had been removed. I immediately called Thumbtack on Saturday 05/16/2020, and was advised by an automated system that they were closed on the weekends. I called them back first thing this morning, and was advised by rep Samantha that because the text was posted after the initial one star review was posted, the review team automatically comes in and removes the text from the review.

It should be noted that I had also spoken to reps at Thumbtack about this incident prior to the phone call this morning, and AT NO TIME did anyone ever say I had a, "Time Limit" to post the text on a review. I then demanded to speak to a supervisor. A supervisor named Alan came onto the phone. You could tell in his voice that he didn't care one bit about the situation. At one point he said that his hands were tied, and that there was nothing he could do. He was very heartless about the whole thing. This company will do whatever they can to keep making money. This even includes protecting animal abusers who call themselves, "Pros". I would strongly recommend that you find other avenues for hiring true professionals to come into your home and perform services. Especially if you care about your loved ones. It's obvious that this company connects people with the worst of the worst of companies.

Thumbtack author review by Joseph Truini

Thumbtack is a website that connects homeowners with service providers in their local area. This online company offers more than 200,000 active professionals available in all 50 U.S. states.

• Customized quotes: Homeowners can provide specific information about services they need and receive customized quotes from a range of professionals.

• Customer reviews: The site compiles customer reviews so you know you’re hiring someone who’s experienced, trusted and reputable.

• Fast hiring: Customers can hire a bath-remodeling professional with the click of a button once they have received quotes. Simply type into the search box what you need—bath remodel, bath tiling, bath vent fan installation, etc.—then follow a few simple prompts to receive a list of local contractors.

• Photos and videos: Service providers offer videos and photographs of their past projects so customers can see the workmanship firsthand.

• Messaging options: Thumbtack offers customers and professionals several communication options, including online messaging and direct phone communication to arrange the details of a project.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Thumbtack Company Information