Find a Home Improvement Contractors partner

Help me decide

3.4/5 (359 ratings)
Find a Home Improvement Contractors partner

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Thumbtack

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Thumbtack Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

I've been a pro on Thumbtack for almost a decade. The year I deactivated my account. In the old days, they would send pros leads and the pro would choose which ones they wanted to pay for. If you paid for a lead and it didn't work out, well that was your choice. Now they FORCE pros to pay for every terrible lead that comes along. No choice. It doesn't matter if the client is a good fit, or if they are serious about hiring or not. Many of these leads are just folks dabbling who disappear as soon as the query is made. So now, basically being a pro on thumbtack means constantly paying for terrible leads.

It used to be that they would at least refund you if the client did not read you initial query. Now they give you a phone number and expect you to start cold calling someone who isn't even serious enough to read the response to a query they just made! To make matters worse, the potential customers are not informed that every pro they contact will be charged, and the system encourages them to randomly select as many pros as possible, offering the option to do so without fully reading their profiles, again omitting the information that each of those pros is going to be charged money. Thumbtack has honestly become the most unethical and exploitative platform I've ever been a part of. So disappointing. Stay away.

Thumbtack response

Thank you for sharing this feedback, Jonathan. We're sorry to see you go, and we're here to help if there's anything we can do to turn your experience around. While leads are not guaranteed jobs, we work with pros to ensure their preferences are set accordingly, so that they're receiving the leads they want. We do still issue refunds based on our Policy and review them on a case by case basis. We'll be sure to pass this feedback along to the appropriate teams, thank you.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

Thumbtack was not bad for pros years ago, it had some issues, but it was good to find some serious customers to make some extra money, but now is totally scam. You receive the fake request and they charge you $50+for it!!!

Thumbtack response

We're sorry your experience on Thumbtack has changed over the years. As we grow, we're consistently gathering feedback and implementing it when we can, to continue improving the pro experience. If you ever find a concerning request or customer account, please report it to us so that we can take appropriate action: https://help.thumbtack.com/report-a-concern. You're welcome to reach out to us directly about this as well.

Get buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

Are fraudulent job listing was created from details included in a direct message that I sent to a service provider. I contacted him directly to provide my contact information for him to contact me outside the platform to perform some subcontract services that I was in need of after that we spoke over the phone and then 30 minutes later I'm receiving calls and texts from dozens of different people about my job posting on Thumbtack and I never once created a job posting on there or was even asked if I wanted to or did I authorize my personal information being used to solicit EverQuest for service providers to contact me and on top of that the way Thumbtack works is now they're charging each one of those people who contact me they're charging them money off of an ad that they created themselves without my permission using my information essentially they're stealing from these people and using me as a tool.

And this is absolutely unacceptable and I'm further surprised there still in business as I know I've heard stories about this bet have never seen it first hand so blatantly without any thought of remorse or fraudulent false use of personal information. They just think this is okay. I expect people to roll over. It's time to put this company out of business.

Thumbtack response

Hi Aarin, we're sorry to hear that you feel this way. We'd like to gather more information from you to ensure we fully hear your concerns, it sounds like there may be a misunderstanding about how the platform works and what information is shared with pros, in an effort to find the right pro for your project. Please reach out to us through one of our social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) so that we can look further into this and address your concerns personally.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

I've hired a number of contractors from this site. Most have been competent enough to speak to my issue but certainly not 100% qualified to complete the work. We had THE WORST landscaping job ever- that involved police & ultimately ended with my hiring an attorney to remedy the issue (FYI In my experience- their 100% Guarantee to cover unsatisfactory jobs does NOT exist). The electrician installed dimmers backwards- my camera wiring was done so poorly that the follow up contractor warned us that we were lucky our home didn't catch FIRE! You definitely get what you pay for- I am searching for other service companies who do a better job of vetting and holding contractors on their site accountable for their work.

Thumbtack response

We're very sorry to hear about your experience, Kimberly. We're glad that you're safe and working with legal counsel to hold the pro that you hired accountable. While we understand projects don't always go as planned, our number one priority is safety. If you haven't already, please report your situation to our Trust and Safety Team: https://help.thumbtack.com/report-a-concern. We hope to hear from you soon, and do everything we can to make things right.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

My company pre-paid for leads. Many of the leads we have been charged for have never responded to repeated calls, texts or emails. As such, there is no way for us to verify if the lead was valid and we were unable to offer an estimate. How do we even know if these leads are real? We don't. However, we were automatically billed for these leads. Thumbtack denied our request for credit, saying that the charges are valid under their terms of service.

Thumbtack response

Hi Aaron, we're sorry you haven't been hearing back from customers. If you ever find that a customer or lead is not legitimate, please report it to us so that we can take appropriate action: https://help.thumbtack.com/report-a-concern. We'd love to help improve your profile so that you get more responses, and double check that your preferences are set up how you'd like them. Please reach out to us directly, through any of our social media platforms.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

Unfortunately the business model for Thumbtack only serves them and not really their pros. We work in an in demand field, and Thumbtack would charge an obscene amount for one lead ($100), if the client is requesting frequent work with us. The sad news is the clients rarely end up booking, or responding and following through, are fake, or hire then quit. It is a scalp of a business and I really hope other pros will stay away!

Thumbtack response

Hi Gabriela, we're sorry to hear that this was your experience. It's important to us that we can help pros be successful on the platform, we'd be happy to help turn things around in anyway that we can. Please submit any refund requests here: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/how-to-request-a-refund. We also encourage you to reach out to us directly through any of our social media channels, we'd like to provide more direct support. Hope to hear from you soon.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

To be clear, I was looking for a licensed, bonded, insured handyman or contractor that could do work in my home. I saw this app pop up a few times before on a few websites and a few times on my cell phone. Seeing all the hype and seeing the continuous pop ups I decided to download the app and see if I can actually locate anyone to do the work and even paint wall murals. Needless to say I saw small portion of Handymen on this app and when some of them contacted me I immediately asked if they were licensed, bonded, and or insured. The answers I received were a joke, because if this app promotes Handymen then they need to promote as stating unlicensed. There is a reason why I ask if they are licensed, bonded, and insured as any homeowner has a complete and utter right to make sure work is done correctly and if any problems arise they can mediate through the State Contractors Board or Lawyers.

Thumbtack response

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We do have expectations for all pros to be properly licensed and hold the appropriate credentials within their state and county guidelines. If you find that this isn't true, please report these concerns to us so that we can look further into them: https://help.thumbtack.com/report-a-concern. Check out this link as well when making decisions about who to hire for your project: https://www.thumbtack.com/safety/.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

Stay away from this company. I have tried them for the last 4 months and they are a complete ripoff. Prices increased by 25% just while I was using them and their leads are bogus. I strongly suspect that this is a false lead generation company. Basically 98% of the leads were bogus and never replied back and then they would not refund even though they say they will refund if there is no reply. They denied EVERY SINGLE request to refund. We are off their site and will never use ever again. Don't waste your money.

Oh yeah...someone also attempted to defraud us with a Venmo scam and they got my personal name from Thumbtack background checks where they post your full name on their site. I requested to remove the background check altogether because I really don't care about it and they basically told me that if I do that they can't have the right to sell my information and the entire account would be deleted. THIS IS ONE OF THE WORST COMPANIES I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH SECOND ONLY TO YELP. (That's another story). Terrible business practices, robbing their paying clients, and providing no customer services and very little value in leads. Stay away.

Thumbtack response

Hi Brennan, thanks for taking this time to share feedback about your experience. We're so sorry to hear about what happened, and we're sorry to see you go. We do issue refunds for leads that are outside your preferences or availability. While we don't guarantee jobs, it's important to us that you're receiving quality leads. We're limited in our response here, please reach out to us through any social media channel so that we can locate your account and provide personalized help.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I was a Service provider for Reiki Holistic Healing and Life Coach. You pay for apparently people who supposedly say they are interested in your service and then never respond. This has cost me over $150 before I took my payment method off. You cannot reach a live person when trying to communicate with them. Would NOT recommend their service and am sure to charge my unfair experience with others. This business is a SCAM!! My guess is they pay people to say they are interested and never respond. You should only have to pay if they booked a job/session with you.

Thumbtack response

Hi Valerie, thanks so much for sharing this feedback with us, we're always working on improving the pro experience. While we cannot guarantee jobs, we only want you to pay for leads that match your preferences and availability, please submit refund requests here: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/how-to-request-a-refund. For personalized support, please reach out to us through any of our social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.). We hope to hear from you again.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I become a pro in early 2020 as I run my own photography business. It was going great. I was getting leads and only paying $4-10 per lead. Now I have been getting charged $50 for just 3 leads that don’t even reply or ghost me after me replying to their request. I then ask for a refund and they say it doesn’t apply for one. It use to be if they don’t reply in 24 hours you get a credit/refund. This is such a waste of money and a huge way of taking advantage of small businesses and companies. There is no way I am spending $50 on 3 leads that don’t even go anywhere….

Thumbtack response

Hi Mackenzie, we appreciate this review. We're glad to hear that you've found success on Thumbtack in the past, although sorry to hear about your recent experience. We'd really like to look further into your refund requests and help improve your experience however we can. Please reach out to us directly through any of our social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) so that we can provide more personalized help and address all of your feedback. We hope to hear from you soon.

Thumbtack author review by Joseph Truini

Thumbtack is a website that connects homeowners with service providers in their local area. This online company offers more than 200,000 active professionals available in all 50 U.S. states.

• Customized quotes: Homeowners can provide specific information about services they need and receive customized quotes from a range of professionals.

• Customer reviews: The site compiles customer reviews so you know you’re hiring someone who’s experienced, trusted and reputable.

• Fast hiring: Customers can hire a bath-remodeling professional with the click of a button once they have received quotes. Simply type into the search box what you need—bath remodel, bath tiling, bath vent fan installation, etc.—then follow a few simple prompts to receive a list of local contractors.

• Photos and videos: Service providers offer videos and photographs of their past projects so customers can see the workmanship firsthand.

• Messaging options: Thumbtack offers customers and professionals several communication options, including online messaging and direct phone communication to arrange the details of a project.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Thumbtack Company Information