Find a Home Improvement Contractors partner

Help me decide

3.5/5 (349 ratings)
Find a Home Improvement Contractors partner

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Thumbtack

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Thumbtack Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

The crew was very friendly and was very pleasant to work with. In a time where all roofing contractors are giving you two month before they can show up, Sonny accepted the project even though they were booked and completed the job on time right before the rains. I recommend them for your next roofing project.

Original review: July 17, 2021

Very dissatisfied with this app. They have account “owner” pass a background check and the account owners don’t show up for the job. For example Aces Landscaping in Las Vegas is owned by Alondra **. She never shows up to the work site and has only used her name for someone else that cannot pass the background check. Aces Landscaping was RPG Landscaping but account was cancel because the owner Ricardo ** was unable to pass background check. It is very disappointing that Thumbtack allows companies without making the “employees” pass a background check. I wouldn’t recommend thumbtack as you have no idea who really the account owner is or if the employees are criminals and whom you are opening your home to.

Thumbtack response

Gina, we take reports like this very seriously as your safety is a priority to us. We'd like to have you contact our Trust and Safety team so that we can find out more about this situation. If we receive information that an account is violating our Terms of use, we'll take action to remove them. Feel free to report this directly at https://help.thumbtack.com/report-a-concern or contact us via social media in a private message. We hope to hear from you soon.

Get buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 14, 2021

This is nothing more than some attempt to replace existing proven companies such as Angie's List. They claim to guarantee the work and get your money back if one of their Pros cheats you or damages your property. All talk to get you signed up. If you need them, their Cs will not respond to emails or calls. In my case 9-separate attempts. They do not vary their pros and the pros manipulate clients for payments in advance and refuse to sign written contracts. This would not happen with Angie's List.

Thumbtack response

Dave, we're sad to hear that you feel this way. It's important that we connect you with pros you can trust and aim to have our customers' backs if something goes wrong. Our Trust and Safety department is here to help. If you ever find yourself with any concerns before, after, or during a project, please contact us at https://help.thumbtack.com/report-a-concern. If you have trouble contacting our team, you can always reach out over one of our social media channels for a quick response.

Original review: July 14, 2021

This company actually deserves a ZERO rating. I wish I'd done my research prior to hiring. I asked Jose Rivas, owner of JL Painting, for a quote to install underdeck roofing over my patio. Jose REQUIRED 50% deposit PLUS cost of materials upfront. HUGE RED FLAG! His team destroyed my underdeck roofing panels ($$) with poor cuts and improper installation. I let Jose know that I was not satisfied with the quality of work. And that I did not think they should have installed the patio ceiling fan until after they had completed and caulked the deck roofing. He created an electrical nightmare. See pic. It was quite evident they did NOT know how to properly install the product.

I had to share a video with him to show how the product should have been installed. He said he would "make it right." Fast-forward - he has since stopped responding to my texts and has obviously blocked my calls. I wish I had read Tasha C. review prior to hiring. Apparently he has a history of taking advantage - he chases money but does not deliver the product. LESSON LEARNED: Make sure they know how to do the work. Do your research before hiring any contractor. Check references. Require proof that they have done and can do the work you need done. And most of all - NEVER HIRE JOSE RIVAS - JL PAINTING to do any of your projects. HE IS IN IT FOR THE 50% UPFRONT AND THEN HE RUNS IF HE DOES NOT WANT TO COMPLETE THE TASK

Thumbtack response

Neicy, we're so sorry to hear that your project didn't go as planned. We have high expectations of pros and require that they have the proper experience needed to perform any services they provide on Thumbtack. Our Trust and Safety team is here to help and we'd ask that you report this at https://help.thumbtack.com/report-a-concern if you haven't already. Our team will then reach out to you to find out more and work to find a resolution.

Original review: July 13, 2021

I use to belong to Thumbtack years ago in the early 2014 when they were legit. Not sure what happen now but it's a rip off. I resigned up earlier this week anticipating using their service as a pro in the coming months. I'm currently overseas right now {July 21} and will return stateside next month {August 21}. Upon signing up I noticed the requirements of adding a credit card, so I did. Also there was limits that had to be set for leads for 3 categories that I had deactivated. Within the next day, I was billed $24.25 for another category that I could not activate or turn off for bid leads. Thumbtack automatically target me in that category and billed me since my credit was in their system. Attempts to contact them is futile. When you call there's no one available and you get a continuous recording to tell you that you can text to get customer service as an option without telling you that they will be with you within a certain time frame.

After waiting for an hour with the the same message playing over and over again, I give up (which is the company's intent). I filed a written dispute and after 48 hours, nothing. This whole lead issue is fishy. Previously lead customers did not respond but now it's 10 times the amount which can be costly to someone starting out or waiting to secure an agreement and everyone with a credit card on file will have the same so call leads. After further reading and reading refunds are on a case by case basis but there's actually no refund but instead a credit. Why would anyone wants to continue this type of deceptive, costly, one sided relationship, not ME. I'm overseas and TT does not operate outside the U.S., this case warrants my money back! I able to activate/deactivate the service that I being charge for. It's a small amount for me but I'm sure they've taken a lot from other with these sketchy practices.

Thumbtack response

We're sorry for any trouble you had contacting our team while you were overseas. We're always available online via our social media channels and are happy to look into concerns as they come up.

It's important to us to be transparent with all charges and how Thumbtack works and we apologize for any confusion you've had while using our service. Please don't hesitate to contact our team and we can look into any other questions you have. We hope to hear from you soon.

Original review: July 12, 2021

Evidently you need to load their app just to see a response from one of their "pros". Give me a break. Put them on block sender list to stop the annoying e-mails. I found someone to do the work I need using a simple website search.

Thumbtack response

Fred, we value your feedback and would like to hear from you about your experience using our app messenger and your notifications. We're always happy to jump in with you to help adjust your notifications to be sure you only get the ones you want to see. Feel free to reach out over social media and we'll work to address any lingering concerns you may have. We hope to hear from you soon.

Original review: July 9, 2021

Thumbtack should not be used by consumers. They keep charging vendors when you have not selected certain preferences. They sent me leads during midnight and at 4:00 am and charge me $160 for a lead. When I complained, there is an automated message refusing the refund. Horrible customer service.

Thumbtack response

We're sorry for any confusion about the leads you've received. We'd be happy to take a second look into these leads with you if you have any questions and work to address your concerns more fully. Feel free to reach out to our team via social media in a private message with the name of the lead and your email. We hope to hear from you soon.

Original review: July 9, 2021

The leads was coming in but only one lead was real, when you sign up they’ll tell you to add money to targeted section and once that money is used up they start attacking your bank account. If you decide to block the days from work, you will still be charged and when you ask for a refund after they take your money, they decide not to put it back in your account but to put it on the Thumbtack account. These people has a lot of tricks of the trade to take your money. Be really careful with this company because talking to someone on the phone is nonexistent and no way to really stop the leads. So I might have to close my bank account to keep these people for going back into my account.

Thumbtack response

Darrell, we're sorry for any confusion you've felt about how Thumbtack works. We aim to help you see success and a great return on your investment. When using your targeting preferences, you agree to be automatically charged for any leads that match those preferences. Our refund policy states that any refunds will be credited to your Thumbtack balance to use towards future leads. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via one of our social media channels.

Original review: July 7, 2021

As a professional seeking to get leads, I was new to Thumbtack. I created my Professional profile last week, and selected the services that I will providing to customers. On the same day, Thumbtack sent me a lead that didn't have much in it beside the name of the customer and name of service they desire to hire me for. So I clicked on the link to learn more about the job, and I sent the customer inquiry to learn more about the project so I can price it properly. Before I know it, Thumbtack sends me a bill for $89 dollars for this one lead. Their terms and conditions state explicitly that Pros will only be charged once they give offer to customer and customer accepts the offer.

Neither of these two conditions were met to be billed for the lead. I been trying to contact Thumbtack for past few days and sent them few emails, but I yet to hear from them. And they don't have live chat service or phone number to call. I believe Thumbtack is very shady business or it is run by one person, at either case, my experience with them has been very horrible from the get go.

Thumbtack response

We're sorry for any trouble you had contacting our team about your concerns. We always welcome you to contact us via one of our social media channels or via our live text chat at 415-299-6398. When you use Thumbtack to connect with a customer you pay for the lead and while we cannot guarantee that you'll win every lead, we can help you to see a great return. Please feel free to reach out to us if you haven't already and we'll work to address your concerns more fully.

Original review: July 6, 2021

Thumbtack customer care stinks. Never really get answers to your questions. They expect you to do all the work instead of taking care of their customers themselves to get refunds or just general questions answered. Potential clients to the pros are not vetted properly, The pro is charged for leads that never Pan out. 3 fourths of the time the client doesn't even respond to the pro or if they do they've changed their mind because they're only window shopping!! The vetting process is absolutely horrible for designers. I have spent a ton a money over a two or three year period for leads that never even happened.

Thumbtack response

Amelia, we always value feedback on how we can better support our pros. We're constantly working to verify leads and if you feel we've missed something, don't hesitate to reach out to our team and we'll be happy to look into it further. Helping you see success is our main priority and we welcome you to reach out via social media and we'll work to provide tips that can help you get the most out of Thumbtack.

Original review: July 3, 2021

First off let me start by saying I like the concept of the app but… it’s a rip-off for me and anyone else that’s just getting started. I personally haven’t lost much money because I see what’s going on and nipped it in the bud. They charge your card when someone contacts you for a service but that doesn’t mean you get the job. You're pretty much paying to give a quote. They should only be charging cards if the job is confirmed. Again like I said the app may be good for someone that’s already up and running making money but it’s definitely not a good app to use if you're just starting out, you will spend more than you make so watch out!! It honestly feels like they have someone in house that contacts you so they can take your money then say never mind, they don’t want your services. You better off making signs for the corner or use nextdoor or even Craigslist. Only use this app if you don’t like make money and enjoy spending it instead.

Thumbtack response

Michael, we know it can be frustrating when you feel you're seeing the success you'd like to be on Thumbtack. While we may not be able to guarantee that you'll win every lead, we can help you to see a great return on your investment. We'd love a chance to help you see the value we can bring your business and welcome you to reach out to us via one of our social media channels. We'll dive in with you on your account and provide tips to help. We hope to hear from you soon and wish you all the best.

Thumbtack author review by Joseph Truini

Thumbtack is a website that connects homeowners with service providers in their local area. This online company offers more than 200,000 active professionals available in all 50 U.S. states.

• Customized quotes: Homeowners can provide specific information about services they need and receive customized quotes from a range of professionals.

• Customer reviews: The site compiles customer reviews so you know you’re hiring someone who’s experienced, trusted and reputable.

• Fast hiring: Customers can hire a bath-remodeling professional with the click of a button once they have received quotes. Simply type into the search box what you need—bath remodel, bath tiling, bath vent fan installation, etc.—then follow a few simple prompts to receive a list of local contractors.

• Photos and videos: Service providers offer videos and photographs of their past projects so customers can see the workmanship firsthand.

• Messaging options: Thumbtack offers customers and professionals several communication options, including online messaging and direct phone communication to arrange the details of a project.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Thumbtack Company Information