Thumbtack

Compare Home Improvement Contractors

Research top Home Improvement Contractors recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I request a welder to install wrought iron staircase. Thumbtack send Jose ** . He called me and gave estimate on July 17th. We agreed on July 22nd. Wrote contract to install staircases. Paid deposit $1000.00 and finish the job by August 12th. Since he took the deposit, we didn't hear from him. Called and texted him no answer. So on August 15th we went to his shop. After talking he wrote a check for the deposit. Unfortunately the check was bad and we fighting till now to get our deposit back. Thumbtack, they are not behind their people. Let anyone join them.

I had a new fence installed. A 12-year-old could have done a better job. Sent pictures of the work - no response. Imagine that. They used untreated wood when they said they would used treated wood that should be used outside. My mistake was I was out of town when they did the work and prepaid. But enough said. Let Thumbtack know and no answer from them believe me. They dont care. Stay away from their contractors. There are better options out there.

As a quality video producer, I have had one quality job come from Thumbtack but have been incredibly disappointed in the bidding process. Very simply, the format does not provide enough information from the buyer to create a bid that can be stuck to. If a consumer is in need of a low price and does not care about experience, quality, or an honest estimate, Thumbtack is the place to look.

I have been with Thumbtack for a while now and I am finally giving up. They made it worse with showing us now how much each quote cost that we are sending in and yes they claim to only charge your card if the customer responds and that is not true. They still will charge you. To be honest spending over $15 to send a quote and not guaranteed of the customer will contact you or not is very frustrating. I wish Thumbtack would be shut down at times or they change their practices. We should not be paying to send quotes and then get no response at all. Just a email when they look at it and sometimes that is wrong. They will also say someone looked at your quote and they really didn't. I have caught this at least ten times already with customers who have told me they never looked at our quote. They just did a search on Google and found us anyways without the help of Thumbtack.

I wish people would see they are scamming a nation and taking from those who want to be private contractors. They need Jesus in their lives. That's how bad this company is. They never resolve any issues so you will get screwed whether you are a customer or a pro because I needed to hire someone to do some work for us and let me tell you if you get screwed call them to get your money back then that's it. You were flat out ROBBED in your own home. It is very frightening and scary that there is a system like this to steal from innocent people who have families to support. Oh and any updates they make they never tell you in their terms and conditions. They state they are required to tell us in email but for the past two years I have never seen a email with updated changes.

People stop being cheap and use Google instead of Thumbtack. You will be screwed both pros and customers. Look at all these reviews. They are clearly true and warning America of this scam Thumbtack has run and claiming they help change lives but they really don't. If you read this then that means you should take this warning seriously. I didn't and still decided to do business with them and look where it got us. On here leaving a review about the hell we went through and how it really took a toll on my family and our finances. Robbing us constantly and providing us with false hope.

Do not use Thumbtack as a business professional. Their site is a waste of money and they overcharge for leads that seem to not truly be leads. As well as business that is licensed, insured and bonded cannot get work because unlicensed people use the app and completely underbid jobs by 100's of dollars below operating costs. Not to mention a lot of users asks for jobs to be done way below cost. You will be charged whether you interact with the client or not.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

I joined on Friday August 26, 2017 and I install plasma TVs and I’m also a handy man! When you sign up you’re asked to give your debit card. And Thumbtack specifically tells you no fees will be charged unless you’re hired for a Job! Well guess what that's a complete lie! I sent two quotes and they debit me $3.34 for each quote and I didn't even get Hired! DAMN! It pissed me off so bad! With their FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!

I called and complained and the Customer service representative said because the Customers needing work read My quote! I was automatically charged! And I wasn't able to get my REFUND! I didn't even get hired. They expect you to be stupid enough to keep paying $3.34 cents for every quote submitted and on top of that if you get hired they will charge you 14.99 for every job you GET! DON’T JOIN THUMBTACK! No wonder they have a low RATING! Hey Thumbtack if you're reading this YOU ARE A BUNCH OF RATAS! I FEEL LIKE THUMBTACK JUST PINNED ME WITH A REAL thumbtack and jacked me for 6.68 CENTS! **!

Needed security cameras replaced. Thumbtack suggested Matos Surveillance who showed up hours late and left with cameras not working. Told by Thumbtack Resolution Center to work with them towards a resolution. When trying to resolve this after several ignored calls and texts I was told To communicate with them. It had to be thru computer after I tried to do so with my cell phone and iPad and it didn't work. I told them I only had phone and iPad and they agreed that I could reach them by telephone calls. Soon after I received email that my case was dropped because I wasn't contacting resolution center. I am now out 220.00 and have no working surveillance cameras.

I've been dealing with Thumbtack for a year or two as part of their standard quoting services that matches customers with local professionals. I am a massage therapist. A customer places a request for a service, Thumbtack sends the request to a number of professionals. The first 5 professionals bid on the job and they close the request to other professional. We buy credits which are deducted per quote. I landed 2 or 3 in the couple years I participated. They recently implemented Thumbtack Pro. You buy the credits and your quotes are sent for free immediately upon request. Credits are deducted only when a customer contacts you. I prepared (per Thumbtacks suggestion) my template to create my quote and add an attachment etc to be sent with each request.

In about 3 months I landed about 5 jobs. Then Thumbtack announced they will send their own responses because their research showed that people are only interested in certain information in your profile. The response they send is flatly, "This quote includes 60 minute Swedish Massage. Purposes: For the purposes of relaxation." In my opinion their response looks lazy and uncaring and does not address all the issues stated in the request. The customer does not receive my detailed response. So they are forced to contact me for more information which prompts credits to be deducted from my account. Thumbtack is not my authorized business representative and has no right to alter my response and send their own in its place.

I feel that there is a conflict of interest too. Because they are making money off of my depleting credits that are encouraged from the ineffective response they are sending. They have credited me many of the short responses after I complained. However continued to send the short responses. They basically said they would send my suggestions to their Thumbtack Pro team. But if I don't like how they are running Thumbtack Pro, discontinue it and just do the basic option that deducts credits for every quote sent, which does not produce much business at all.

I opted for "pay per lead as you go" and they took a lump sum out of my card anyway. Then I realized that any viable leads were quoted within 3 minutes of my receiving them. When questioned, I was told they have an automated system for some areas enabling competitive companies to respond more quickly than anyone who is a real person could ever do. When I said I would be willing to use that automated system, they said it was not available to me. Does the phrase "discriminatory practices" mean anything to you Thumbtack? You are a scam. I want my money back.

I joined Thumbtack as a business owner offering a service. I had to purchase points that would be used for my bids. Different bids require a different amount of points. I have never gotten a response from any bid and don't know if the person actually exists because the only information you get is a first name and last initial. My suspicion is these jobs do not exist and it's Thumbtack posting the jobs to collect money from people buying GN points to bid. You don't get your points back if you don't receive an answer.

I've contacted this company many times. They act like they can find experts in my area only to find out later in an email, no one is available in our area. I also experienced this company from the provider side. They offered one person to contact, when I contacted them they knew nothing about the services I provide. I don't know what this company is doing with the information I provided but I suspect that is all there after without being able to provide any potential professional. I couldn't even respond to Thumbtack because they have no email to or a link on their website.

Do not do business with this company they have you sign up and promise you credits but you get nothing!!! I was told I had to give them my credit card first??? No way! I was told I was going to get 10 credits to sign up??? What liars they are. So told me she was not going to give me nothing I had to pay first and I would get a discount... a discount??? What that is nothing free. What a waste of all my time. Priscilla is a very nasty phone rep who tells me once I ask to speak to a supervisor. She said "they are just going to tell you the same thing I told you". What??? Wow. I am not even a real customer yet. Don't waste your time. This is a fake site.

I merged 2 accounts I had. In order to have reviews on my new page I asked clients and 1 recent to please leave a review. I called Thumbtack to say emails for reviews weren't working, and they took 3 of my reviews and plastered "offsite review". NO THEY ARE NOT OFFSITE REVIEWS, except they don't want to deal with the issue.

Thumbtack's message system prevented linkup with the contractor. The contractor and I agreed on an afternoon for him to give me a quote. A couple hours before the time, I suggested that the contractor text me when he arrived or a bit before, since I am a bit deaf. The contractor got the message a couple hours AFTER he arrived. I did not hear him. He described our home, so I know he was here. A wasted afternoon for both of us, and a wasted opportunity.

Do Not Trust This Company. We hired a professional by using Thumbtack's website, which gave us "peace of mind" when it stated that they have a guarantee that protects the clients from damages caused by a professional hired on their website. Their website's set up is that for the client to believe that their professionals stand above the rest. That proved to be untrue in our case, when we hired a professional with fictitious recommendations and claims to have been in the handyman industry for many years.

The work performed in our home by Thumbtack's service member, left us with having to redo everything he was hired to do as he had no apparent craftsmanship in the installation of floors or bathroom vanities. He butchered the back of our vanity and hammered floors down that only required to be clicked in place. All the floor seal snaps were hammered and broken, which allowed water to penetrate floors. We followed every single step required by Thumbtack to show evidence and proof of incurred damages. This included receipts, cashed checks by the pro and pictures. We understood that their guarantee policy is to only cover for damages in the case that the professional does not reimburse the client. Our hired professional refused to accept any responsibility for his negligence that caused the damages. This dispute has now taken five solid months of numerous emails.

When we all finally came to an agreement of payment to be made to us using the Thumbtack's Guarantee to cover our damages, it went back to more emails, yet requesting more proof and evidence of things they had already reviewed. The latest request from Thumbtack was for us to provide them with the telephone number of the person that helped us remove the damages caused, so that we could get the work redone. This is after Thumbtack had already accepted our receipts for Lowe's, Home Depot and hand written receipt of damages removal and the copy of the bank cashed check that was given to the person that did this small removal job.

This request to obtain a phone number to call and confirm the work done was just unacceptable to us (very disrespectful) and it seemed as a way to keep prolonging a payout. Please stay away from this company's "guarantee" facade and do read the small print that prohibits you from filing any type of class action suit. Basically if anything goes wrong with your project, you lose.

Mr. Trevino of Dominion General Construction and son did a painting job for me. He showed up as he said he would. He was even willing to run errands to Home Depot to purchase more needed supplies to get the job done and he did do this. Good job Mr. Trevino and Son! My family really appreciates your hard work and dedication to get the job done.

I have never been more disappointed with a company than Thumbtack. They force you to buy $25 worth of credits to participate and explain their advertise their "refund" policy as giving you any credits back if the receiver does not review your quote in 48 hours. Nothing about refunding the actual money is advertised anywhere! Want to ask customer service for help? They will cite you provision from a long document and inform you why they cannot help. Then ask over and over again if they can help. Poor customer service, poor company. Don't waste your time or money.

"Marketplace Integrity Team" is another whopper and "professional". We received a terrible paint job on a small section of new drywall at floor level, even after we agreed to $300 and had to pay $500 to get them to finish the job. Then the color was wrong. All the way to the ceiling. And on the adjacent wall. Their "Marketplace Integrity Team" representative explained to me how the work is not in fact guaranteed at all. Instead, it says they agree to accept liability for damages they cause outside of the scope of the work they're hired to do. What they're really saying is they have liability insurance.

Somehow the Better Business Bureau accepted this being characterized as a guarantee in Feb 2017. Shame on them too. Our complaint was escalated to Lindsay, a "Marketplace Integrity Team" manager, who displayed no integrity at all in trying to convince me we hadn't been damaged. She assured me they would have covered damage if there had been paint left on the carpet, but when I asked how a damaged carpet differed from two damaged walls all the way to the ceiling which now have to be repainted, she had no explanation other than I was too dim to understand. This company isn't worth wasting your time on. They give you a false illusion that contractors are vetted and that they protect you if there's a problem. You would most certainly have better success trying out a new unknown contractor and paying him only upon successful completion of the job.

I was using Thumbtack to generate leads and elected to use the "pay as you go" option instead of the "reload billing" option. I called Thumbtack customer service and requested they turn off the reload function and was told twice (2 separate times) that it was off. Yesterday I checked my credit card and saw a billing for $848.00 from Thumbtack, when I called to figure out what happened we were told that their system automatically defaults to the "reload" function unless it is disabled in settings. The customer service rep said that they (Thumbtack) didn't execute the request properly (admitting that it was their fault), however they would not be able to refund the charge.

It's an unscrupulous business practice to make a systematic error, and then do nothing to resolve the issue or refund the charge. We recorded the phone conversation with the representative where there was an absolute admittance of error on their part - and then I ask myself, if the employees can't figure out the Thumbtack billing system how can the end user truly protect themselves. The reason why we recorded the conversation was in an effort to prove to the credit card company that their charge was erroneous, but also to use it as evidence in small claims court.

I am a Thumbtack pro and have been for almost 2 years. I have watched them raise their pricing to quote projects, with explanations like they raise the rate for the area you quote in based upon the number of quotes that are requested from that area. This is just not true. I have two company profiles, and received the same request for quote for both of them. One had a lower quote price than the other. They charge by how much business the pro does with them, obviously. This is unfair business practice, and should be dealt with severely.

Thumbtack appears to be a scam to me. I responded to several quote request, trying different quotes and never got a response. As far as I am concerned, the quote request are fake! I have 28 years experience in starting and running business and signed on as a business consultant. The majority of requests are unrealistic and they all appear to have the same exact responses to the quote request. The potential customers should at the very least be made to have contact with those of us providing quotes before it can be considered a qualified lead or if someone gets the job, the rest should get their credits back. When you pay for a lead, 4 others are also paying DumbTack for the lead.

These ** don't deserve to be paid 5 times for "providing" leads! What a bunch of ** and what a dumb ass I feel like for falling for it. I was very skeptical at first and I did not realize the first time I sent a quote that I paid half my credits just to respond to a lead that was probably not even a real person. I even went to the point of calling that person out and still didn't get a response. You know how people are today, call them out and their liberal ** will fire back. It was not professional, I know, but I wanted to be sure that I was just being defrauded of my money and sure enough, I am sure I was. Why creepy, little geeky pricks can create an app like this and rob the world blind ought to be a crime. The way the world works these days just sickens me. Good luck to you all. Don't waste your time on CrapTack.

Do not use this service!! I am a professional caterer and have been using this service for over a year and have nothing but stellar reviews. Had a dispute with one of my customers who made up a bunch of lies and Thumbtack deactivated my account without investigation.

They went in and made unauthorized transactions. They claim they are allow to use our credit card information the way they see fit. They are thieves and we are taking them to court. They stole over $1250 from us.

Thumbtack has referred me cheater called Jaun ** as a personal Trainer. However I was very determined to loose weight. Sometimes your credit card is charged more than what you expect (Lot of hidden charges), Charges late payment fees for no reason, double charges. The cancellation process is very complicated and tedious. The Agreement never ends, I had to pay 271 dollars as cancellation charge even after two months Notice period. Almost spent 1000 dollars in order to quit. He is too greedy and I felt like I am in a trap. For sure it's a trap. He does not act on what he speaks, I would rather advise to go for someone whose is transparent, honest, professional and trustworthy. I had a very bad experience. All the reviewers with rating 5 stars one day will definitely realize/understand how bad, Painful and humiliating experience it would be when they decide to quit.

I'm an experienced carpenter having worked in this trade for over thirty years. I got tired of working for other people and opened my own business. I think Thumbtack is more geared toward the "Handyman". I'm not a handyman, I am a professional carpenter. It's an insult to me when they send me jobs to unclog someone's toilet. Don't get me wrong handymen have their place, but I don't work for handyman wages and some customers don't understand why. Some customers don't need a carpenter, and the job could go to an honest handyman who could solve their problem.

Thumbtack shut my profile down due to a consumer saying my company did not complete a job. My company completed the job. I sent Thumbtack the invoice showing no mulch was to be removed also with her 5 star review she claims she didn't write. The consumer decided a few days after the job that she wasn't happy because the mulch was on her property which my company never said in the invoice or any contract to remove. Thumbtack has all this proof and yet still will not help my company. Thumbtack needs to turn my profile back on. Thumbtack has no legal right to arbitrate anything. I have all the proof backing my company and an employee who was on the job. If this is not fixed within 48 hours I will pursue legal actions.

I use Thumbtack for six years and received multiple rewards about our service. I had a ex girlfriend doing some work for me for a while. We separated and she started her own company. She cheated some people. They remove me from their site because our complete done business with this company. I find it very unfair. I ask them to send me any and all policy that will explain why they removed my account for a act of another company. They refuse to do so.

I was to be married on October 15th of last year. I paid a "pro" from Thumbtack over 800.00$ for makeup for the day of the wedding for my bridesmaids and myself. She never showed up. My hair was a rats nest from my bachelor party. And I had to wake up at 5 am to find someone else to do my hair and other bridesmaids makeup. Thumbtack defended the pro. And refused to issue me a refund. To this day I still get invoiced and the money comes out of my account. Thumbtack is a scam. They will hire anyone. Beware.

I hired handyman Jacob ** to replace broken tile in the bathroom. He was prompt, polite, and efficient. He asked if I needed anything else done and took time to do many little things I needed done but had not requested. I highly recommend Jacob!

The job was done correct and on time and on budget. It was efficiently done. I'd definitely recommend this to anyone and do this again myself if I ever needed to. They were very reliable, on time, and efficient. Communicate was good. They talked thru whole experience, explain everything, answer all my questions.

Expert Review

Joseph TruiniHome Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.    More about Joseph→

Thumbtack is a website that connects homeowners with service providers in their local area. This online company offers more than 200,000 active professionals available in all 50 U.S. states.

• Customized quotes: Homeowners can provide specific information about services they need and receive customized quotes from a range of professionals.
  • Customer reviews: The site compiles customer reviews so you know you’re hiring someone who’s experienced, trusted and reputable.
  • Fast hiring: Customers can hire a bath-remodeling professional with the click of a button once they have received quotes. Simply type into the search box what you need—bath remodel, bath tiling, bath vent fan installation, etc.—then follow a few simple prompts to receive a list of local contractors.
  • Photos and videos: Service providers offer videos and photographs of their past projects so customers can see the workmanship firsthand.
  • Messaging options: Thumbtack offers customers and professionals several communication options, including online messaging and direct phone communication to arrange the details of a project.
  • Best for Thumbtack is best for people who need help finding professionals for an affordable bath-remodeling project.

Compare Bathroom Remodeling Companies