Thumbtack

Compare Home Improvement Contractors

Research top Home Improvement Contractors recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Do Not Trust This Company. We hired a professional by using Thumbtack's website, which gave us "peace of mind" when it stated that they have a guarantee that protects the clients from damages caused by a professional hired on their website. Their website's set up is that for the client to believe that their professionals stand above the rest. That proved to be untrue in our case, when we hired a professional with fictitious recommendations and claims to have been in the handyman industry for many years.

The work performed in our home by Thumbtack's service member, left us with having to redo everything he was hired to do as he had no apparent craftsmanship in the installation of floors or bathroom vanities. He butchered the back of our vanity and hammered floors down that only required to be clicked in place. All the floor seal snaps were hammered and broken, which allowed water to penetrate floors. We followed every single step required by Thumbtack to show evidence and proof of incurred damages. This included receipts, cashed checks by the pro and pictures. We understood that their guarantee policy is to only cover for damages in the case that the professional does not reimburse the client. Our hired professional refused to accept any responsibility for his negligence that caused the damages. This dispute has now taken five solid months of numerous emails.

When we all finally came to an agreement of payment to be made to us using the Thumbtack's Guarantee to cover our damages, it went back to more emails, yet requesting more proof and evidence of things they had already reviewed. The latest request from Thumbtack was for us to provide them with the telephone number of the person that helped us remove the damages caused, so that we could get the work redone. This is after Thumbtack had already accepted our receipts for Lowe's, Home Depot and hand written receipt of damages removal and the copy of the bank cashed check that was given to the person that did this small removal job.

This request to obtain a phone number to call and confirm the work done was just unacceptable to us (very disrespectful) and it seemed as a way to keep prolonging a payout. Please stay away from this company's "guarantee" facade and do read the small print that prohibits you from filing any type of class action suit. Basically if anything goes wrong with your project, you lose.

Mr. Trevino of Dominion General Construction and son did a painting job for me. He showed up as he said he would. He was even willing to run errands to Home Depot to purchase more needed supplies to get the job done and he did do this. Good job Mr. Trevino and Son! My family really appreciates your hard work and dedication to get the job done.

I have never been more disappointed with a company than Thumbtack. They force you to buy $25 worth of credits to participate and explain their advertise their "refund" policy as giving you any credits back if the receiver does not review your quote in 48 hours. Nothing about refunding the actual money is advertised anywhere! Want to ask customer service for help? They will cite you provision from a long document and inform you why they cannot help. Then ask over and over again if they can help. Poor customer service, poor company. Don't waste your time or money.

"Marketplace Integrity Team" is another whopper and "professional". We received a terrible paint job on a small section of new drywall at floor level, even after we agreed to $300 and had to pay $500 to get them to finish the job. Then the color was wrong. All the way to the ceiling. And on the adjacent wall. Their "Marketplace Integrity Team" representative explained to me how the work is not in fact guaranteed at all. Instead, it says they agree to accept liability for damages they cause outside of the scope of the work they're hired to do. What they're really saying is they have liability insurance.

Somehow the Better Business Bureau accepted this being characterized as a guarantee in Feb 2017. Shame on them too. Our complaint was escalated to Lindsay, a "Marketplace Integrity Team" manager, who displayed no integrity at all in trying to convince me we hadn't been damaged. She assured me they would have covered damage if there had been paint left on the carpet, but when I asked how a damaged carpet differed from two damaged walls all the way to the ceiling which now have to be repainted, she had no explanation other than I was too dim to understand. This company isn't worth wasting your time on. They give you a false illusion that contractors are vetted and that they protect you if there's a problem. You would most certainly have better success trying out a new unknown contractor and paying him only upon successful completion of the job.

I was using Thumbtack to generate leads and elected to use the "pay as you go" option instead of the "reload billing" option. I called Thumbtack customer service and requested they turn off the reload function and was told twice (2 separate times) that it was off. Yesterday I checked my credit card and saw a billing for $848.00 from Thumbtack, when I called to figure out what happened we were told that their system automatically defaults to the "reload" function unless it is disabled in settings. The customer service rep said that they (Thumbtack) didn't execute the request properly (admitting that it was their fault), however they would not be able to refund the charge.

It's an unscrupulous business practice to make a systematic error, and then do nothing to resolve the issue or refund the charge. We recorded the phone conversation with the representative where there was an absolute admittance of error on their part - and then I ask myself, if the employees can't figure out the Thumbtack billing system how can the end user truly protect themselves. The reason why we recorded the conversation was in an effort to prove to the credit card company that their charge was erroneous, but also to use it as evidence in small claims court.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

I am a Thumbtack pro and have been for almost 2 years. I have watched them raise their pricing to quote projects, with explanations like they raise the rate for the area you quote in based upon the number of quotes that are requested from that area. This is just not true. I have two company profiles, and received the same request for quote for both of them. One had a lower quote price than the other. They charge by how much business the pro does with them, obviously. This is unfair business practice, and should be dealt with severely.

Thumbtack appears to be a scam to me. I responded to several quote request, trying different quotes and never got a response. As far as I am concerned, the quote request are fake! I have 28 years experience in starting and running business and signed on as a business consultant. The majority of requests are unrealistic and they all appear to have the same exact responses to the quote request. The potential customers should at the very least be made to have contact with those of us providing quotes before it can be considered a qualified lead or if someone gets the job, the rest should get their credits back. When you pay for a lead, 4 others are also paying DumbTack for the lead.

These ** don't deserve to be paid 5 times for "providing" leads! What a bunch of ** and what a dumb ass I feel like for falling for it. I was very skeptical at first and I did not realize the first time I sent a quote that I paid half my credits just to respond to a lead that was probably not even a real person. I even went to the point of calling that person out and still didn't get a response. You know how people are today, call them out and their liberal ** will fire back. It was not professional, I know, but I wanted to be sure that I was just being defrauded of my money and sure enough, I am sure I was. Why creepy, little geeky pricks can create an app like this and rob the world blind ought to be a crime. The way the world works these days just sickens me. Good luck to you all. Don't waste your time on CrapTack.

Do not use this service!! I am a professional caterer and have been using this service for over a year and have nothing but stellar reviews. Had a dispute with one of my customers who made up a bunch of lies and Thumbtack deactivated my account without investigation.

They went in and made unauthorized transactions. They claim they are allow to use our credit card information the way they see fit. They are thieves and we are taking them to court. They stole over $1250 from us.

Thumbtack has referred me cheater called Jaun ** as a personal Trainer. However I was very determined to loose weight. Sometimes your credit card is charged more than what you expect (Lot of hidden charges), Charges late payment fees for no reason, double charges. The cancellation process is very complicated and tedious. The Agreement never ends, I had to pay 271 dollars as cancellation charge even after two months Notice period. Almost spent 1000 dollars in order to quit. He is too greedy and I felt like I am in a trap. For sure it's a trap. He does not act on what he speaks, I would rather advise to go for someone whose is transparent, honest, professional and trustworthy. I had a very bad experience. All the reviewers with rating 5 stars one day will definitely realize/understand how bad, Painful and humiliating experience it would be when they decide to quit.

I'm an experienced carpenter having worked in this trade for over thirty years. I got tired of working for other people and opened my own business. I think Thumbtack is more geared toward the "Handyman". I'm not a handyman, I am a professional carpenter. It's an insult to me when they send me jobs to unclog someone's toilet. Don't get me wrong handymen have their place, but I don't work for handyman wages and some customers don't understand why. Some customers don't need a carpenter, and the job could go to an honest handyman who could solve their problem.

Thumbtack shut my profile down due to a consumer saying my company did not complete a job. My company completed the job. I sent Thumbtack the invoice showing no mulch was to be removed also with her 5 star review she claims she didn't write. The consumer decided a few days after the job that she wasn't happy because the mulch was on her property which my company never said in the invoice or any contract to remove. Thumbtack has all this proof and yet still will not help my company. Thumbtack needs to turn my profile back on. Thumbtack has no legal right to arbitrate anything. I have all the proof backing my company and an employee who was on the job. If this is not fixed within 48 hours I will pursue legal actions.

I use Thumbtack for six years and received multiple rewards about our service. I had a ex girlfriend doing some work for me for a while. We separated and she started her own company. She cheated some people. They remove me from their site because our complete done business with this company. I find it very unfair. I ask them to send me any and all policy that will explain why they removed my account for a act of another company. They refuse to do so.

I was to be married on October 15th of last year. I paid a "pro" from Thumbtack over 800.00$ for makeup for the day of the wedding for my bridesmaids and myself. She never showed up. My hair was a rats nest from my bachelor party. And I had to wake up at 5 am to find someone else to do my hair and other bridesmaids makeup. Thumbtack defended the pro. And refused to issue me a refund. To this day I still get invoiced and the money comes out of my account. Thumbtack is a scam. They will hire anyone. Beware.

I hired handyman Jacob ** to replace broken tile in the bathroom. He was prompt, polite, and efficient. He asked if I needed anything else done and took time to do many little things I needed done but had not requested. I highly recommend Jacob!

The job was done correct and on time and on budget. It was efficiently done. I'd definitely recommend this to anyone and do this again myself if I ever needed to. They were very reliable, on time, and efficient. Communicate was good. They talked thru whole experience, explain everything, answer all my questions.

Project was completed within the expected time range. I was kept up to date with the progress all the way through and notified of any issues that might affect efficiency. Always easy to contact with any questions or concerns. Showed up on time when expected. Met my expectations for their work and responsibility. Reasonable prices for quality work. I felt that I was getting an exceptional experience in remodeling without having to pay an arm and a leg to get it done quickly and with good quality.

Thumbtack make it easy because you are able to search which workers fit the correct job. The project takes about 2 days or so. I recommend Thumbtack because one is able to chose the worker that he or she thinks is right. Worker are well experienced and are recommended by others. The website is very reliable. It explains the things that one needs to know to chose the worker. The communication is super easy! Contact information is available and you are able to contact the worker. Also, if you need any help with the website, you can call for help or go to FAQ. The value is great because the website helps you chose the right worker that best suits your needs. In addition, you get to purchase things according to your budget. The value is great.

The job took longer than they said it would, based on the initial quote. Originally a 24 day assignment, and it was over 2 months before the finished product. They did show up on time and fulfill their commitments, which I had no issues with. I wish they had made better time, but otherwise, fairly reliable. They didn't communicate their changes as much as I would have liked. When something came up that would cause the job to go longer, I wouldn't hear about it unless I asked them. Aside from the timing issues, the price was very reasonable. I shopped around quite a bit and at the end of the day, no one could touch their price.

As expected/discussed at time of hire for project agreed upon. No bad surprises or unexpected issues arose which I was worried about in the beginning. As soon as contacted we agreed upon time, place, and what needed to be done. Everything happened according to plan which was a great surprise for someone who was so nervous. Told me everything I needed to know about the process. Where we went from step one and what to expect at the very end when tasks were done. Worth every penny, you normally don't know what you're paying for when it comes to goods and services online. But with this program I knew what to expect A-Z.

I'm not sure what you mean by timeliness. But if it means how quickly they did it, then I'd say it was average because it took plenty of time to find the right deal for me and then to do the rest. Fairly reliable I'd say. I got what I needed and it was done with no problems. It took some time however for me to adjust to the new situation but that doesn't have much to do with reliability so I'll just leave that out of the factors that influenced my decision. Overall communication was very good. I understood exactly what would happen and their knowledge greatly affected my decision. Due to their great depth of knowledge, I was able to feel confident in my decision and I believe I made the right choice. Overall value was good but I feel like it could be better. I was satisfied with it but if I had found different prices, I might've changed my decision.

The guys weren't on time but within one half hour of the agreed upon time. This isn't the company's fault because sometimes jobs run late but it can be frustrating to the person reheating the service. The service can be rated reliable even though they were late because they did show up on time eventually. Try got the inn done and that's what matters. I'd appreciate if the company was running late that they would have called me so I wasn't waiting around for them to eventually show up. I'd like for the company to take this more seriously. We were able to get everything we needed eventually, thankfully. It's just amazing that sometimes people just don't return calls or show up but they did.

I contacted a contractor and within a few days they gave me a budget and when the work was done I was pretty happy with the result of their work. I would highly recommend this contact service to everyone else. The contractors were amazing and they really knew what they were doing. I was very happy with the end result. The first time I contacted the contractor he replied quite fast and they were really helpful explaining how they would work and communication was good between both parties. Their job was awesome and the value of their work was well worth it! Very professional people as well as friendly. They made it seem like a really easy thing to do.

I just love the timeliness of how well this company will conduct business with its customers. I always get what I done on my own time and flexibility. Gets my stuff done. They are the most reliable companies I have ever ran across since dealing with a bunch load of companies in my area. THEY GO FAR AND ABOVE MY EXPECTATIONS. I have no complaint here. They are such expert with their communication skills and it is very admirable seeing them use it to deal with customers like me that appreciate it as much as I do. I just so so so love everything they do with the money I pay for their services. I get my monies' worth and plus some.

Expert Review

Joseph TruiniHome Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.    More about Joseph→

Thumbtack is a website that connects homeowners with service providers in their local area. This online company offers more than 200,000 active professionals available in all 50 U.S. states.

• Customized quotes: Homeowners can provide specific information about services they need and receive customized quotes from a range of professionals.
  • Customer reviews: The site compiles customer reviews so you know you’re hiring someone who’s experienced, trusted and reputable.
  • Fast hiring: Customers can hire a bath-remodeling professional with the click of a button once they have received quotes. Simply type into the search box what you need—bath remodel, bath tiling, bath vent fan installation, etc.—then follow a few simple prompts to receive a list of local contractors.
  • Photos and videos: Service providers offer videos and photographs of their past projects so customers can see the workmanship firsthand.
  • Messaging options: Thumbtack offers customers and professionals several communication options, including online messaging and direct phone communication to arrange the details of a project.
  • Best for Thumbtack is best for people who need help finding professionals for an affordable bath-remodeling project.

Compare Bathroom Remodeling Companies