1.12/5
Based on 231 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a home improvement contractor?

262 Thumbtack Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I am a 5 star rated contractor on Thumbtack. I have been a member since 2014 and all my reviews are 5 star. I called several times about things that were not fair to me in the past. This latest scam they pulled on me is ridiculous. Thumbtack emailed this to the customer, "More info needed for your estimate. Blank Home Improvement LLC is interested in projects like yours and has upcoming availability. However, it's not possible to provide a cost without additional information."

Then Thumbtack responds on behalf of the customer stating, "When are you available? Good news: Etta ** saw your profile and wants to know your availability. Check out their project details and reply with a few dates and times that work. It's a good idea to include a note about why you’re right for the job too." You following me on this. They write on my behalf, then on behalf of the customer and charge me $9.21. It's sad they resort to these tactics because I used to like Thumbtack. Bad business tactics.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Denny's Waterproofing - I am looking for someone to waterproof my foundation. A place was recommended and I was contacted by the waterproofing co. We scheduled for Saturday at 1pm. They text me at 12:50. Say he mapped it out and it's 150 mile from him when I get estimates for the work and he will match it. What a joke.

Get expert buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Thumbtack use to be great. Got work at a fair price. Now they're scamming pros to cover customer work. Lead goes to as many pros as they can. Then if customer responds you're charge whatever they wanna charge you. It's too late if contacted you're charged. Prices are hidden and you have no clue what the fee is until you're charged. Shady and dishonest service and they need put out of business. If you decided to use Thumbtack as a pro after reading this, well you deserved to be screwed. If you're customer using it after reading this knowing the pros are being screwed you're just as bad as Thumbtack. Use Google Maps and look up your working needing done and pros have reviews and can be found there.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I started with Thumbtack about 3 or 4 years ago, when the company was still charging reasonable rates. Initially, the quotes were 5 credits for a DJ at $1.67 per credit. The customer would get 5 quotes sent to them. In the last year or so, they changed their business practice in the way they charge for submitting quotes. The first change was the chance to sign up for Instant Match, so the customer would only contact us if we were a match. The first Instant match, all of a sudden turned out to be $27.00. I turned off Instant Match and went back to the old way of X number of credits per quote, they changed it to actual charges, ex. $16.67, $21.87... Arbitrarily, no consistency, and they now send out 12 quotes.

This year they went overboard. The new practice is free quotes and we get charged if the customer contacts us. By Thumbtack definition, "Are you available on my date?" a contact, even if there is no further word from the customer. My last 3 "contacts" cost me $47.00+. Instant Match is also still available, the price structure is the same. I am submitting this review and giving these leeches 0 stars.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

DO NOT USE AT ALL COSTS, either as a pro or for finding a request. It is not safe, they require credit cards on file and use your personal information, including name, without permission. They also cannot write an app at all, and leads can cost $20 or more just for one quote! They hide the price and withhold information deliberately. Horrible company, don't use!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I had used Thumbtack in the past to find a pro. So when I started my business up I decided to list with them. Problem is, you have no idea what they charge per lead until AFTER a customer responds to your quote as it is based off of some weird percentage. I received a bill for $14 for a lead that did not book an appointment. Really awful way to do business. I deactivated my account and will not recommend them to anyone in the future.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Thumbtack used to be great at getting gigs for our business, however, they have changed their pricing procedure and it is awful. I've had 2 people in the last week contact me to ask if we are available on a certain date. The first one, we were not available but it cost me $17 to reply to her to tell her that we weren't. If I don't reply, that makes us look bad. Today, I get another request asking if we were available for her date. If I chose to reply, it was going to cost me $36.04!!! REALLY?? Unfortunately, I replied because it's bad business to ignore, but I think I am done with Thumbtack. I really hope they lose a lot of their customers for this reason!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Thumbtack made a charge to my credit card without my permission. They charged me multiple times but the customers never responded to me and I never got the job (flooring installer). This is stealing. Someone needs to do something about it cause they are stealing from honest and hardworking people!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I was looking for a professional to repair granite countertops. After three days Thumbtack had not generated any referrals for this job. I did get one professional cleaning company that responded but was not equipped to handle this job. What irritates me is that the follow-up from Thumbtack does not let you comment on the site and only give you the ability to check boxes that are misleading at best. In my opinion the company does a poor job with lead generation, and even worse job with customer service.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I know this is a company out of San Francisco that was funded with investors' money - thus, I think that is partly why the quality is so low. I NEVER received any recommendations. You cannot contact them. They ignore you. How in the world this company still exists is beyond me. DO NOT USE THEM - they will not help you. Plus, you can NOT contact them and actually have even a correspondence with a "real" person. It's ALL automated. This is one of the worst start-ups I've encountered out here. I do NOT recommend them at all!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Thumbtack used to be a good lead generator for my business, sure a lot of the leads were crap but the price was right so it kind of evened out. Now they have changed their price structure to where you don't even know what you're paying for a lead until after you contact someone, I have paid $ 300.00 in the last week for (4) leads that the supposed customer contacted me and basically all they said was hi. That's it. No contact information (i.e.) no contact phone number no email address no nothing!!! I read a lot of other reviews from other contractors saying they were fake leads so the other day I got on Thumbtack as a customer and created a fake lead and guess what? In a matter of minutes Thumbtack sent that lead to my business email address so yes phony leads and overpriced, If you're a contractor or a consumer I would stay away from Thumbtack. They are nothing but poison!!!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

It doesn't seem possible that Thumbtack could make the service worse for businesses, but they have. When I first signed up a few years ago, it worked great. Sure, there were often customers that were trying to price-shop or worse, PROFESSIONALS trying to get price info from competitors (bad karma, folks.) But you paid little for the leads. I didn't mind paying up to $10.00 for a lead even if it wasn't qualified. Then the prices went higher, and I felt like I was paying more for unqualified leads.

Now? This new "weekly budget" thing? The absolute WORST idea, ever. Set a weekly budget of $100-300 dollars. Weekly. So a contractor might pay $1,200.00 a month. But you're still not guaranteed that the lead will be decent. Could just be a phone call. They've priced everyone out of the service. My take is that they have investors who are demanding more ROI. Worst business model. Businesses always stop serving their customers (We are the customers NOT the people shopping for pros, but Thumbtack forgets that,) when they get led around by investors. Will never use TT again. Sad, I got some great projects in the past.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Thumbtack sucks **. They sell fake leads, customer service won't refund bad leads, costs are WAY too high, most real customers are price shoppers, unlimited amount of pros can contact any customer, I could go on all day.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I am a new Thumbtack pro. I sent out 3 quotes today and was contacted by all 3 customers. 1 quote cost me 63 dollars, another was 24, and another was 8. All the jobs were N/A on the price. I am outraged and there seems to be no breakdown on how they were priced. So basically before I can go bid these jobs I'm already out 100 dollars and don't have a single guarantee of any work. They need to have a set fee or something to explain the charges because the highest quote I paid for will be for the smallest and cheapest of all 3 jobs if I even get it.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I live in Texas and I hired a supposed contractor through Thumbtack for my home in Ohio. This contractor not only screwed up so many things in my house he left the job half done and stole money and supplies from me. Thumbtack according to their $1000000 guarantee will not cover anything because they say it wasn't mentioned in the original text messages through their system. They didn't even know that this guy was a convicted felon, I had to tell them that. Don't waste your time or your money. There are much better places out there to find contractors. This place is a scam.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Thumbtack Pro needs to be sued out of existence! This outrageous scamming of charges for “customer interest” is the most ridiculous business practice I ever heard of. If it hasn’t been for fighting with them weekly to get refunds back, partial refunds, I would have paid them exactly what I have earned with the app. I have been charged so many times for customers giving faulty information or never responding back. The charges are all over the spectrum. It’s about time for a class action lawsuit against them. I’m disgusted right now!!

Original review: July 31, 2018

Contractor damage my floor. I reported as per contract with Thumbtack. Nothing was done. That insurance they claim to have, not true. A civil sue in GA is a job in itself. Cut my list & want to inform people not to use Thumbtack. You better off hiring a real professionals. Thumbtack does not give you honest, license and contractors.

Original review: July 31, 2018

We used Thumbtack to find clients for 3 years. We had an average 5 star rating, with 68 reviews. One customer decides to complain 2 weeks after her event (personal chef job). She firsts asks for 2 meals refunded. She then asks for gratuity refunded. She then asks for gratuity refunded, as well as 20% of the dinner. This dinner was a huge hit. The guests asked our chef to take videos and photos of them. We have videos of everyone enjoying their meal, and one of the guests saying "Chef J ** is the best chef ever!" They invited him out afterwards. So after all of this, to hear from our client asking for a refund 2 weeks after the event completely blind-sighted us.

She was entirely unwilling to speak with our chef, who took care of this dinner for her. I ended up reporting this to Thumbtack. A couple of weeks later, they shut down our account, and tell us to get it up and running again, we have to try to resolve this, even if this means just refunding her $10 tip that she herself placed. We agreed to try to resolve this, only to find out her requests again all over the place (gratuity, then gratuity + 20% refund, and then lying saying that we didn't have permission to record in her home. We have messages saying she was from Canada and this was an Airbnb).

After all of this, Thumbtack told us that they would indefinitely close our account if we did not refund her money. Thumbtack has no right to get involved with a customer dispute who disputed something without grounds 2 weeks after her event. Thumbtack has no right to disable or delete our account for standing our ground and not giving in to an unjust refund request.

Original review: July 30, 2018

On our Thumbtack websites (-with our bio's) is a link to 'Contact this pro.' When the individual attempts to contact you, they are asked numerous questions about their request for services and then they are introduced to your competition! Wow! I have been with them for a few years and have offered several ideas - never getting feedback on my suggestions. Additionally, they have recently decided to charge members almost 500% of previous costs to get a response from a potential customer.

Even if the customer simply reaches out to you but doesn't decide to hire you, that contact now cost money which is immediately taken from your credit card (-from a weekly budget you must set up) and you weren't even hired! OMG... One might have better odds purchasing a $2 lottery ticket! Now it's hard to talk to a customer service representative in the States, because they have out-sourced their help desk to the Philippines - probably just to handle all the complaints. Numerous members have left - posting very negative comments on the internet! Hey, my advice to remaining members: sign up with Angie's List. They're free to many start up small businesses! You can decide on marketing strategies and fees later.

Updated 8/8/2018: I recently passed on a quote. I wanted to send one because the client was local and I really felt that I could have helped them. However, the last time I sent a quote I was charged $17 - just for having the client respond. It's important to note that I wasn't even hired! Additionally, my hourly fee is only $45! It's easy to see that my return-on-investment was too risky. I have also removed my credit card info until Thumbtack either returns to the old system of only charging a few $'s per quote (-if reviewed by customer), or charges pro's only when they are hired.

Even if hired, I'm fearful that Thumbtack will require a huge commission. I base this concern on their recent decision of charging more than 500% of our previous charges. They say that this new approach only charges their professionals when they are actually contacted by a client. But if the client doesn't hire you, your R.O.I. is often not worth the investment /odds. They need to do some serious and immediate damage-control (-ASAP) if they want to hold onto a once loyal Base - now a very dissatisfied base - according to all the negative blogs inside their chat room as well as, numerous very negative posts continuing to flood the internet!... Waiting to see their next move. --Still 'slightly' hopeful.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I am a Professional using Thumbtack for clients. The prices for using Thumbtack and how the pricing structure has changed so many times in the last 6 months it's ridiculous. PLUS, clients can mark you as hired and review your business even if you've never worked with them and Thumbtack won't remove the spamming reviews from Non-Clients. Their customer service or lack thereof is the worst I've seen in a long time.

Original review: July 29, 2018

There is nothing dishonest or shady about Thumbtack, however for contractors with any kind of overhead or labor costs, your competitors completely low-ball their bids. I have a specialty moving company and wanted to pick up some extra work. In order to get ANY business, I had to cut my rates easily 25% and ask for no minimum hours. Three-hour minimum is my industry standard and five hours on the weekends. In addition, for one-day jobs that paid a mere $500 (usually I get $500 for three hours work) I had to pay Thumbtack $115 per week, AND pay for jobs which I did not land. If you are an IT guy doing everything out of your car yourself and you can afford to pay $115 a week for leads, I'm sure it works. But as I said, if you are paying labor @15 an hour, your truck, gas and overhead, forget it.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Lame. Free to bid, you now pay A HUGE FEE ($27 avg for a $150 gig) to get contacted, and there is NO CAP on the number of pros a customer can contact. Thumbtack keeps things vague in order to encourage clients to reach out, so they can collect. Thumbtack winds up making more than the actual gig pays. Customer service isn't flexible with it at all, they won't even review your case, just bill away. They also promote low paying wages for professionals. Seriously, this is one step above craigslist. Do yourself a favor and find a better way to market yourself before you even THINK about using them.

Original review: July 26, 2018

FAKE CUSTOMER!!! Overcharging me for FAKE customers. I got screwed by Thumbtack. Just don't do it. I got charged 23.00 for 100.00 phone estimates for a tv mount. WTF. If you still want to work for Thumbtack. It's cheaper to just send them all your money. There is no reason get up and go to work when they take more than you will make. And even better you pay them before their fake customer contacts you. 1 out of 2 customers seem to be fake. They reply through thumbtack with BS jobs you don't do or some stupid price no one can work for and Thumbtack takes money from your account.

Original review: July 25, 2018

This is a scam, Thumbtack charged me $12.50 for a possible 1 hour session which in my case results in $40. I do not mind the previous system, and understand the way the process works, where out of every 10 quotes one comes back (maybe). But this is insane. Let me break this down: Previous system: $2-$3/quote, means out of 10 quotes maybe a $40 session (so I spend $20-30 and get back 40) Great, awesome, and perfect. Current system: $12.50/quote, 10 quotes, $125 for a $40 session??? I am not paying $125 just to go work and spend time for a negative balance. I liked Thumbtack, but it seems as though they care about making money. What is more aggravating in this situation that the customer didn't even respond to my follow up messages, they responded once and nothing anymore (but Thumbtack system and policy is OK with this). System is flawed.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I have been with Thumbtack since their inception around early 2010. It was sort of slow to begin with and then really picked up for me the last three years I would say 2015, 2016 and later 2017 there was a change in their pricing, I have called customer service about six times since October of last year and it’s the same old same old. They will not refund your money when you get what do you feel are bogus client submissions and as soon as you respond you never hear back from the said Client. I believe at this point that Thumbtack is arbitrarily submitting bogus submissions and getting the professionals to quote on them and charging them.

I went from paying around $25-$30 a month to over $100 a month with just a few quotes that I never generated any business out of. I’ve really tried to be patient but as of now it is costing me. I have recently went to the professional level of Wedding Wire to try to generate some more business as I have business responsibilities that Thumbtack Is not allowing me to handle because of the what I feel to be bogus clients. It’s really sad that used to be a good company no longer. Please do not waste your time unless you have money to waste.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I signed-up for the Instant Match and one message me from out of state. I got charged $42. I am not complaining since it seems like the job is moving forward. Then I sent a quote from someone local who contacted me by phone to set-up an appointment. Then out of nowhere, she cancelled it by sending me a message through Thumbtack to tell me that she already hired somebody else. Looking at her project insight, she did not mark anybody hired or contacted but me. Thumbtack charged me $36! I called Thumbtack to complain and they said that it doesn't matter what happen. The payment was for the introduction. My argument is that I am paying for someone who were hired and that person is not paying at all. Thumbtack is killing the small businesses! I deleted my profile. Not doing business with them anymore! Stay away from them.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Sad that Thumbtack takes advantage of their contractors charging outrageous pricing for their bottom line! Started out 5 years ago and was great. Now unlimited pros to bid on projects padding Thumbtack profits screwing the contractors big time!!! Somebody needs to sue these people to put them in their place!

Original review: July 22, 2018

I used their system to see if I could get some more work, they only charge you if they contact you even if it a fake contact. I gotten so many fake quotes, you have to send in a quote. If the person replies you get charged without even knowing if you get the job, bullarky! Stay away from Thumbtack. They took 13.00 from me. I didn't even get one job from them. It's a scam. Stay away!!!

Original review: July 21, 2018

Thumbtack just changed how they charge pros. They never show you how much a quote is going to cost and when I checked my account after talking to someone for 2 minutes, they charged my credit card $35 and I didn't get the job! There was not even an email showing that they charged this money to my credit card. I had no idea it was going to cost this much to simply give a quote to someone. Someone else complained about Thumbtack's website that they gave a quote to someone to do a job for $75 and Thumbtack charged them $77! It cost them money to do the job! STAY AWAY FROM THUMBTACK! It's a very bad business model and I expect that they'll have tons of complaints. I have deactivated my account. Good riddance. There are better ways to get jobs.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I had googled looking for an electrician. Thumbtack.com sent me an email with the name of Brian **. Brian contacted advising he was an electrician for 20 + years and lived near me. We came to an agreement to an hourly rate plus supplies. Brian was to remove all old outlet & light switches and ponytail with copper wire. He came 3 times and bought the wrong light switch plate covers for at least 3. I reimbursed Brian for all supplies. When I called Brian 4 days later as we had these switches with no covers on them he was cocky and unprofessional and refused to schedule to come back to take care of them. I have to hire another electrician who will have to remove all the ones that Brian did in order to warranty the whole house. Brian refuses to refund the amount we reimbursed him for the supplies including the wrong ones.

Not sure about Thumbtack?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Home Improvement Contractors for you.

Thumbtack expert review by Joseph Truini

Thumbtack is a website that connects homeowners with service providers in their local area. This online company offers more than 200,000 active professionals available in all 50 U.S. states.

• Customized quotes: Homeowners can provide specific information about services they need and receive customized quotes from a range of professionals.

• Customer reviews: The site compiles customer reviews so you know you’re hiring someone who’s experienced, trusted and reputable.

• Fast hiring: Customers can hire a bath-remodeling professional with the click of a button once they have received quotes. Simply type into the search box what you need—bath remodel, bath tiling, bath vent fan installation, etc.—then follow a few simple prompts to receive a list of local contractors.

• Photos and videos: Service providers offer videos and photographs of their past projects so customers can see the workmanship firsthand.

• Messaging options: Thumbtack offers customers and professionals several communication options, including online messaging and direct phone communication to arrange the details of a project.

• Best for: Thumbtack is best for people who need help finding professionals for an affordable bath-remodeling project.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Thumbtack Company Information

2009
    360 9th Avenue
    San Francisco
    www.thumbtack.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business