1.17/5

Looking for a home improvement contractor?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

354 Thumbtack Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I own a small engineering and land surveying business and am always looking for ways to generate more leads and revenue. I came across Thumbtack several years ago and during the first year or so everything was fine. I spent a minimal amount of money per lead and actually landed a several jobs that I might not have otherwise had the opportunity to bid on.

That was then. This is now. For the last year or so I have received an increasing amount of leads. However, the number of real leads remains the same and the increased volume are scam leads. How do I know this you ask? Well, the leads are very generic about what they are looking for. I then respond with the exact same questions to each generic lead and guess what? I receive the exact same response from the potential "lead". EVERY TIME. And what is worse - I get charged for that bogus response. I have cancelled and no longer use their service, but other contractors beware. Don't throw your money down the drain.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

These ** are scammers. If you value your money then stay away. They have found a legal way of stealing money from you. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. Run run run... It used to be a good service with decent rates. I don’t know who came up with the idea for the new system they have. They must be crucified. It’s basically the worse system ever. STAY AWAY!!!

Get expert buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Like so many other reviews, this former user of the service confirms that what WAS good is no more. Thumbtack's greed, which the company attempts to disguise as a marketing system in favor of its clients, has literally turned off so many people and the ultimate value provided no longer exists. The company no longer serves as a lead generator. It has simply become a fee collector that no longer promotes freedom of expression to prospective customers.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Horrible experience!! They just ripping off the pros without any sense. They charge huge amount of money for nothing. I have sent the quote to the customer and he replied that he is going to pick another vendor and Thumbtack still charged me $34 for this, his for his reply!!! It’s ridiculous!! We started using Thumbtack a year ago and it was ok in the beginning, because at least they charged a little and you could bid, and you could get the jobs, but right now they are charging a lot of money for nothing. So unfair. Stay away from this company!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I used Thumbtack for a plumbing project. They recommended a contractor which I gave the job to. The contractor said he fixed it but ultimately it was not fixed and did a terrible job. I tried to reach out to the contractor to have him come back to fix it and he was unresponsive. I then reached out to Thumbtack who was of no help and claims they can't do anything. Thumbtack doesn't screen any of their contractors or have any way to protect its customers. I have no idea why anyone would use Thumbtack as you're better off using Yelp or the Yellow Pages. Unfortunately, I had to learn this the hard way and I hope someone can benefit from reading my review.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Like so many other pros who have used Thumbtack over the years, it was a decent lead generation company. Over the last month they have made several changes and now directly feed you bogus leads which you are instantly charged for. They now say they are a MARKETING tool and not lead generation! They promote the competition on your dime. For example, I made a customer account to see what it looks like from a customers perspective. I requested services directly from my company.

After I sent a message from the customers account, MY company was BILLED IMMEDIATELY even without looking at the message. As the customer I was then given the contact information for 15 OTHER companies via my customer Thumbtack profile to whom I SHOULD ALSO CONTACT! As well as a direct email with... wait for it... a list of 100 OTHER companies "that I should contact". But was NEVER given the contact information for MY company (original company I DIRECTLY reached out to)! With that being said, if they are a "Marketing Tool" why are they promoting other business and not my own at my expense? Is that not a conflict of interest??? From one Professional Contractor to another STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THIS POS company!!! Unless they revert back to the original way of operating!!!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Stay far away as possible. Thumbtack use to be a good website to help match professionals with customers and then they changed everything. They are scamming pros with fake leads charging ridiculous amounts even for customers who are just curious about a quote and they have a strict no refund policy. That's right. Let me break it down. They get someone on the inside to post a job. Let's say example paint interior and exterior of home. Well that person picks out specific contractors they would like to work with for Thumbtack. The more the better.

So let's say 10 pros are picked. Well Thumbtack claims the customer would like to work directly with you and only you. Do you accept or decline? Just when you may think you landed a job and accept the other 9 pros also accept and charges $80 each which equals $800 right in Thumbtack's pocket which the entire time the customer is either affiliated with Thumbtack or could just be a curious customer looking for some prices. Either way only person that wins at the end is the scammers.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Alright where do I start, TT is just flat out scandalous, ripoff, lying wanna be company just stealing like big banks, for doing nothing. So many fake jobs being sent out to pros. It is beyond something to just let it happen. I quit TT for good now. No point when you can’t make a living and I was the only pool guy around, so no one else put in for bids on my jobs. Oh well hope your fake company goes to hell soon. People dropping off left and right. Let’s get together and sue the pants off of TT, class action lawsuit, that will be heard. Then they have to decide to go bankrupt or burn it all before going to FEDERAL COURT in front of the world to be torn to pieces and us pros get our money back that TT stole. Come on people. Let’s unite as one.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

So I fired my secretary that ran up a bunch of charges only after I fired her using her old email. My Thumbtack account was current but they shut me off and said that I owe them money? So the money I had in my account was taken for a basement finishing job??? I never even heard from anyone except them saying someone was interested. No contact was ever made by any homeowner. I wasted hundreds of dollars with this scam of a service. They are certainly a scam and take advantage of contractors.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Watch out pros!! Thumbtack will rip you off!!! They start out low but they raise prices for leads. And they got fake clients will send you message and they charge you $75 per message. You don’t even have no conversation with clients!!! I think those who send me messages was fake Clients!!! I been charged over $500!!! Watch out these scams!!!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

This company promised me the world and delivered nothing!! As a vendor I am so very disappointed. They have some new system in place where you can no longer bid on a job or interact with the customer. The worst most cunning crafty company I have ever worked with.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Thumbtack had a mission to match people up with local pros. You could go to Thumbtack for almost anything from childcare to home repairs, to tango lessons. Pros paid for leads. Thumbtack limited the number of pros that could respond to any lead so if you set a decent price and offered a decent service you had a good shot at the job. First you had to pay for any lead you responded to but the prices were fair so even if you didn't get a job, you might come out ahead. Then you had to pay a higher price but only if you got a response, even if the response didn't lead to a job. Not so great, but I still could get by.

Then a few weeks ago they changed the system. Now you have to agree to be "instantly matched" to jobs that might not work for you and might not respond to you. The business I built up primarily using them for leads is gone. After a few days of losing money and not getting any gigs, I gave up. The system no longer favors the best pros -- the ones with good reviews, offering the best service. It now favors those willing to pay Thumbtack an enormous amount of money for the slim chance of getting a gig -- even one that is too far away to travel to, or isn't exactly your area of expertise. This isn't about improving customer experience or making it easier for pros to connect with customers. It's corporate greed.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Thumbtack was a great service for contractors when they first started. It was a so refreshing after HomeAdvisor. Now, they are the worst and most expensive and the worst source of customers for professionals. When I first started and a few months later they raised their prices, they were swearing on the phone they would never raise the price again. Since then, the prices more than tripled and continue to go up. This company is most unpredictable I've ever dealt with in my entire life. You cannot rely on them at all because they bring new changes almost every day. Shame! Stay away from Thumbtack or you will be broke before long.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Attention Roofing Contractors among others. Please read as the information that you will see below is the problem that you will encounter when working with THUMBTACK now. Thumbtack used to be a VERY VALUABLE SITE for all of us contractors and I was a very LOYAL CONTRACTOR to them spending up to $500 per month. Every single time a lead for a roofing repair job or for a new installation was coming to me, I responded within 2-3 minutes almost all their leads as I wanted to keep very busy in the Houston, TX area. When I started in 2017 the price for a ROOFING REPAIR was $8 and change and the price for a NEW ROOF INSTALLATION was $16 dollars and change sharing this same lead with 5 other contractors.

Now, they have come up with a new model of not charging you every single time that you quote or estimate a job but unfortunately not only they have raised the price of a ROOFING REPAIR to $23 dollars and the price for a NEW ROOF INSTALLATION to up to $75 dollars. On top of this now they are RE-SELLING the same lead to up to 15 contractors placing so much competition on you that it is almost impossible to get 2-3 jobs per week. I have written to them in numerous times, have spoken to some of their representative and managers and NOBODY is doing ANYTHING to change their GREEDY policies.

In other words, what is happening now is that THUMBTACK resells to up to 15 possible Contractors a lead that may only cost them $10 each and profit a HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY from all those contractors that will not get the job. The Homeowner and property owner is very happy too as Thumbtack is referring tons of contractors for them to get a good price and us the CONTRACTORS that have to spend gas to get to the place, bring our business cards and brochures to inform homeowners, arrive on time under weather and traffic conditions, can't even get an answer from the Homeowner since he will not make a final decision as of to hire you since he has so many other Contractors coming to see them.

It is very disappointing to see that a company that was truly working with us to help our businesses is now the MOST GREEDY company out there not only charging high prices but also bringing you TONS OF COMPETITION for you to deal with when they are sitting in an air conditioned office and us are risking our lives to provide an estimate on a roof.

Plain and simple, this is the story of what is happening to this company now. I just hope that perhaps someone in this company can understand that in order to have a long lasting relationship with small and medium size contractors who have smaller marketing budgets, they have to make it where it is good and considerate for both parties and not for only them. VERY DISAPPOINTED AT THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I contracted with Jack Sims of Sims Wood Works to build me a table for my foyer. He contacted me promptly, gave me a design and price quickly. He built my table and has delivered it. I love it. It is just what I wanted. He did a great job. Would definitely use him again.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I took private hip-hop lesson with Darren since April 2018 until October 2018, I wanted to learn hip-hop so I could perform at my 60th birthday party, at first I was scared, but he helped me feel relaxed and comfortable to start from the beginning hip hop moves. As time went on, I got more confident and could learn new steps more easily and not get tired as I did when I first started, in the end of my classes. I was able to accomplish what I wanted and performed at my 60th birthday party, and everyone loved what we had choreographed together, I highly recommend him for anyone who wants to learn hip-hop.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I called Thumbtack customer service to tell them their cleaning service on their website had stolen over $500 from my home. Also $1500 jewelry. They did nothing! They just read a typical sympathy form letter telling me how sorry they were but did not attempt to help me with a reimbursement. Just told me to follow up with a police report. Apparently I was the 2nd victim with Jessica ** of TRIPLE J cleaning . The police promised to investigate her. But Thumbtack could not promise me to remove this THIEF from their company. They suggested I write a negative review about Triple J Cleaning, but she knows where I live and don't want to be stalked by this criminal.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

In years past, Thumbtack was somewhat successful in generating clients for you if you put in the work but not anymore. Now Thumbtack has gone up on their prices 400% in the last 2 years and changed their model so that if a prospect emails you with an insignificant question, BAM, you're hit with $80 charge. Thumbtack is in control of how much they charge you per person so you never know how much is coming out of your bank account. You used to be able to but credits and now they require your payment information so, BAM they can suck the money out of your account. They have it where you can set a limit on how much is taken from your account but the minimum is $300 a month.

Thumbtack also offers automatic quotes to prospects which means when a prospect asked for a quote, Thumbtack sends them 15 quotes which most are automatic and most of those have the same exact generic message which Thumbtack wrote. I wanted a customized quote but you only have a couple of minutes before the prospect closes because generic quotes were sent to the prospect so 15 quotes are reached quickly. A money maker for Thumbtack because if you don't get hired, you are still available for Thumbtack to hit you up again.

To me, their clients are the only ones NOT protected. Isn't it suppose to be the other way around? People looking for services pay nothing unless they hire someone which is very low percentage compared to everyone that ask for quotes. Thumbtack reaps most of the cash rewards because they charge a very high price when their clients are "contacted" by the prospect for ANY reason. Clients are left vulnerable and targeted. It is set up so that Thumbtack could, if they wanted, get a bunch of people to ask for quotes, then get those same people to ask a stupid question and when the Thumbtack client answers, Thumbtack charges their client and the prospect is never heard from again.

Thumbtack uses reviews and number of times hired, so the prospects feel they have some history that can count if they do hire someone off of Thumbtack but both reviews and number of times hires is so easy to manipulate. You can literally add reviews yourself and, though you will be charged, you could pose as a prospect, and go on and click "hired" yourself. My advice is DON'T hire Thumbtack.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

A pro responded to me with a high quote. I told him he was too high. He told me I should hire Guatemalans if I wanted cheap labor. I posted a review and wrote the racist comment. So they deactivated my account. What a joke. They protect their clients even though they are racist.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I notice that most of the reviews here are from service providers who are charged hefty amounts for leads on jobs that they often don't get. I never knew that the providers were charged such high rates for me just responding to the Thumbtack suggestion list of providers. It seems that many professionals have abandoned the site and justifiably so. The over-charging of qualified contractors has left those seeking assistance with home projects dismal short lists of providers as it seems many qualified providers have left Thumbtack.

Knowing that there is a charge for responding to my inquiry and that these charges add up my account for the fact that the few times I have received quotes they were inflated to noncompetitive rates. Each time I ended up using a contractor I found using an online search or by word of mouth recommendations. It seems that Thumbtack's greed serves no one but Thumbtack.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

Thumbtack take your money even if the person response in one word. They do not follow up and make sure customers pay, and their customer service could not be more rude. I called about someone contacting me for a job 85 miles away and I set my limit to 45. They would not refund the $25 I got charged for the person contacting me. This mistake was their fault. I would never have quoted a job that far away for $100. I would lose money. Customer service was rude, blamed me, and didn’t give me my money back. My only advice to people about to use Thumbtack is don’t.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

Nick scheduled his start time at 8-8:30 am 11/15/2018. The job was to remove a tub & wall, then move washer/dryer, build new wall & install a water softener system & reverse osmosis system. He did not show up. I texted him at 9 am asking him if he was lost. (We are on a mountain outside of a small town.) He texted that his alarm didn't go off. He was running late. He'd be here around 12 noon. He got here around 12:15 pm. He still didn't have a written contract and never gave me one. He wrote a list of materials that he would need. He said he would need 600 for materials. I gave him the cash and he did give me a receipt. I did call the store, since my family does business there and was just told he spent $329.61 total for materials. Wow, Nick owes me money $270.39!!!

Some helpers (A man named Jeremy? And a woman named Sara) had showed up around 1:30 to start the tear out and kept working til Nick returned at around 4:45 pm. He had apparently stopped at McDonald's and bought food for all 3. They took a break & then Jeremy & Sarah left. (Also left a garbage bag with trash from McDonald's on the middle of my driveway. Nick came in and started working on the water softener for installation, said there were no instructions. I looked them up on the internet and showed him. He then went into the kitchen & started to install the under the sink reverse osmosis system. He was getting frustrated and said he would be back to finish Friday, 11/16/2018. I asked him if he would pick up a part to connect to the refrigerator & I would reimburse him. He kept getting texts & calls. It was approximately 6:30 by this time.

He sat at my dining table and asked if I could give him another 600 so he could stay at a motel in town. I said, "Why would you need that much?" He didn't explain & stated that he knew I had stated earlier that I wouldn't pay the rest until he completed the job. Gave me a lost boy look and I gave in, giving him another (manipulation) 600 dollars. I didn't really look at the receipt until he didn't show up Friday 11/16/2018. I don't know what this meant, $600.00 paid Bathroom Labor. Then skipped a line $600.00 remaining balance as of 11/15/18, he signed. He wanted to be here at 9:30 am. And it would be around 5 more hours to complete the job. He also said the helper would pick up the part at the Home Depot in Russellville, AR.

After he left, I found that the tub faucet (it was left for next day to convert the washer) was leaking. I couldn't get any water to come out of the kitchen sink. I tried to sop up the leaky faucet, but it got worse. So I shut off the water. I texted Nick and he called back stating that he thought it was only a drip and the kitchen faucet must have been shut off by his helper. (It wasn't connected properly & the faucet in the kitchen leaked, too.)

Friday, no Nick, no helper at the time HE designated, 9:30 am. At 11 am, I texted him. No response. I called him at 11:30 and got voice mail. I blocked my number and called at 12:26. He did answer and said he was going to pick up Jeremy and be here at 1:20 pm. No one showed up and no one called me back. I get no response from texts or calls. Last text was at 4:56 pm asking him to please call with an explanation. No RESPONSE. REALLY FED UP!!! I WILL NEVER USE THIS SERVICE AGAIN. YOU SENT A RIP OFF ARTIST!!!

Nick left a mess and didn't bother to contact me. He owes me $870.39 because he did not finish the job and left a huge mess! Now I have to find someone to complete. I have 3 kids & I am not able to use my washer and dryer. This person needs to be prosecuted. I will contact an attorney, the AG, The BBB & report this all over. You will pay, Nick!!! I WOULD NEVER HIRE YOU AGAIN BECAUSE YOU HAVE POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND POOR SKILLS AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Thumbtack use to charge at most 12.00 per contact made. No big deal I thought. So I tried Thumbtack Pro, set my limit by 45.00 for 1-3 contacts. I received one contact and they took 45.00. The largest fraud to date. When I went inactive for a month all of the sudden I was getting notifications via email that miraculously people in my local area were needing my service. Mind you before when I was active for 3 months I had maybe 1 in my local area. Fraud and fake contacts I truly believe.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

If you are just starting out and want to make minimum wage, then join Thumbtack. But if you are a real pro, a waste of money. It is set up for people to price shop you looking for the lowest price, and they have no responsibility whatsoever. So Thumbtack sends the Pro (15 Pros to be exact get the name which is way too much and just confuses the customers) to a customer that is most of the time just shopping around or in some cases not even real (the spelling sent of some names and times sent). 3 am in the morning is actually comical, (the algorithm must not follow time stamps and running out of names). And when sent to the Pro, automatically charged.

Thumbtack stated to us no charge unless we reach out to the customer after they sent us an interested in your services. We never reached out to any and still were charged. They claimed I set up the "promote my company" to show our services which we did with the agreement of they changed their system to the Pro only being charged if we make contact. Not the case. Very dishonest on how they handle this. They are making a great deal of money right now acting as if they want to help Pros but not happening. Make as much as possible until it either becomes a class action or government agency steps in and says enough. Sorry, we ever joined. Lesson learned.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Using Thumbtack posted I posted my project, repair a portion of my concrete driveway. A company advertising as Affordable Concrete Repair responded to my post. I hired these two guys after an onsite visit and discussion of price. Terrible decision, total ripoff. They worked for like 3 days filling in a crack and resurfacing about a 15 foot section of the driveway. Within 2 days of when they left the crack started to re-appear and has only grown ever since. The top coat has started to crack and flake away. When I contacted the "leader" about the crack he stated they had seen it and would be back next week, of course that never happened. A written guarantee was worthless. Charlie ** is the name, company cannot be found. STAY AWAY, CROOKS.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I have been using Thumbtack for about a year with my current catering company and have deactivated my account today due to outrageous costs being charged to my credit card without a clear explanation. Thumbtack charges you when a potential client makes contact and sends a message. This message could only say hi & I am being charged over $40? Something doesn't add up here. Not to mention, how am I able to verify this is a real person contacting me and not a bot from Thumbtack making them money with fake job postings? Most quotes I send out go unanswered and there is no phone number or email for me to contact this alleged real person. The whole set up seems one-sided now that I take a step back and realize the cons outweigh the pros for this service.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

It is a scam designed to make them money a few leads a lot of fake ones. I talked to customer service. They don't respond. Could care less. And would not refund any money. I did read the reviews before signing up and should have listened.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

As a Home Improvement contractor of 53 years I agree with all the Pros complaints in the reviews posted. I have documented these issues for a long time and I believe most of these client calls are a scam for Thumbtack to financially benefit. I closed my account with them because they refused a refund and validate the client's identity. I was charged for clients who didn't provide proper information to submit a quote as is requested by Thumbtack and or did not respond to my request for information sufficient to submit a quote. I told this to Thumbtack numerous times but they never responded.

In the beginning I saw a lot of Pros responding but when the platform changed there were no longer any pros responding to client requests, I have tracked over 90 Pro request a week. I intend to file a complaint as a consumer with the New York State Attorney Generals Office of consumer services. Thumbtack is a Interstate business and as such must conform to the US Commercial Code. In brief "receiving a paid lead with no response from client with information sufficient to quote does not full fill a contract. The cost of the lead is only valid if you are able to submit a quote". I have told Thumbtack they should only charge the fee for leads if you meet with the client and or able to submit a quote. Once again no response, I would suggest the Pros work with their bank to reverse these unwarranted charges if possible and or contact their local Consumer Protection Offices.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Wow, just wow. You can clearly see in the top blue line. "Congrats, no need to quote! Jenna ** has already selected you from a list of pros. Reply to seal the deal." You can clearly see a $2600 price point. The second screenshot shows in the line messages, "We are fun! Pick us!" When I reached out to this client it told me I was going to be charged almost $45. Fortunately, I had hit my weekly budget, but I did not know at the time. So, I reached out to the client. I wrote up a nice intro full of congratulations regarding her engagement and thanking her for her interest.

I stated that I would need a little more info before I could draw up a contract. Her response was, "I have never heard of a DJ that costs more than $650. Thanks but that is just way out of our budget." I was frustrated and I wrote back. "Thanks, I just paid $45 for the privilege for this exchange. Next time you ask for an interaction know that the DJ is being charged." She then wrote back, "I didn't ask you to contact me. You reached out to me." We went back and forth a little more, but we remained polite. She then posted a 1 star review to my page and cut and pasted snippets of our conversation creating a narrative that was not the truth.

I contacted Thumbtack and asked for the only 1 star review I have ever received in 2.5 years to be removed. I showed them the evidence of our conversation and demonstrated with facts that what this client wrote was untruthful. Thumbtack refused to remove the review because it was about how the client "feel" regardless of the truth. The other issue is that the client didn't understand she reached out to me. The messages I received from Thumbtack would indicate that I have a person who has been looking at my page. They are aware of the price I see on the screenshot above. If I reply at this time it's a turnkey deal. The truth is anything but that. In the end, after spending nearly 5 hours dealing with customer service, I was forced delete my account.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Joe at All Solar was very honest and helpful. I spoke to three other vendors but without meeting anyone face to face. I felt All Solar cared and felt it was about his pride in his service and not just about getting a job. I am a small business owner and was extremely happy and satisfied with the excellent service I received. I will recommend him in a heartbeat and plan on using him to install a system on my other home. Thank you Joe for your honesty and hard work, you not only represented Thumbtack well but yourself also.

Thumbtack expert review by Joseph Truini

Thumbtack is a website that connects homeowners with service providers in their local area. This online company offers more than 200,000 active professionals available in all 50 U.S. states.

• Customized quotes: Homeowners can provide specific information about services they need and receive customized quotes from a range of professionals.

• Customer reviews: The site compiles customer reviews so you know you’re hiring someone who’s experienced, trusted and reputable.

• Fast hiring: Customers can hire a bath-remodeling professional with the click of a button once they have received quotes. Simply type into the search box what you need—bath remodel, bath tiling, bath vent fan installation, etc.—then follow a few simple prompts to receive a list of local contractors.

• Photos and videos: Service providers offer videos and photographs of their past projects so customers can see the workmanship firsthand.

• Messaging options: Thumbtack offers customers and professionals several communication options, including online messaging and direct phone communication to arrange the details of a project.

• Best for: Thumbtack is best for people who need help finding professionals for an affordable bath-remodeling project.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Thumbtack Company Information