Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Thumbtack Reviews

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Robert sheetrocked, taped and textured new construction in my basement. A room, 12X12 and an 45 ft wall were completed. He worked efficiently and with great detail resulting in exceptional outcome. He had great suggestions and innovative ideas. Rob also showed up reliably to work on this project.

Original review: July 26, 2019

Mike ** did an amazing job on our free standing shower. He apparently takes pride in his work and it showed! It is hard to find someone with integrity and having their work speak for itself! Thank you Mike! License # **

Get expert buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: July 4, 2019

When I contacted the owner of Dreams2Reality Events & More LLC and had my first discussion about my wedding I was put at ease by her ideas that she brought forward. After a few discussion, all I had to do was to make my payment to her and the rest one would say is history. She took care of everything - the cake, the venue (church and reception room), the photographer, the programme, my dress, souvenir - everything. When I went to get look at possible wedding dresses, she had pick out one for me. It fitted perfectly without her taking my measurement and the design was beautiful. I had a stress-free wedding with very little input and changes from me. I would recommend this company/the wedding planner to anyone who have not formulated exactly what they want for their wedding and who wishes to have a stress-free wedding. Vashti

Original review: June 29, 2019

I was so fortunate to be referred to Sosa’s Landscaping in San Mateo, CA. They are beyond fabulous — responsive, professional, knowledgeable and of the highest quality of work. I highly recommend Sosa’s and Thumbtack for implementing the original connection.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

It seemed like a good deal that you pay for leads rather than traditional advertising where much of money used is ignored or glazed over. But it isn't a good deal at all. They find new ways to "find" you leads and to charge you. However you get so little business from it. The cost per lead starts to add up, especially when so few actually start to follow through. But even that doesn't mean new business or clients.

I've had a number of people mark me as hired but never even communicated with me and of course they never actually hired me. I've had others actually schedule appointments then cancel at the last minute. Like a doctor, alternative healers cannot work off of clients cancelling a scheduled appointment within just a couple of hours. I'm now convinced Thumbtack hires people to create fake accounts to act as leads just to charge their pros and then never give those pros any actual new business at all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

I specifically asked for resume writers who could meet in person. All who replied sent generic invites along with generic responses to what needed improving on my resume via remote connection. The 3 that I tried to get assistance did nothing but state their cost/rate and state that they only worked remotely. So, why do writers respond if they don't work in person? IDK. But it has wasted a little of my time, which is not what I signed up with Thumbtack for.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Anyone who uses Thumbtack to find people to do work around your house need to know the following: If you have an 1800 sqft. 3 Bedroom 3 Bath Home, but only need Laundry done... don't put 3 Bedrooms and 3 Baths in the options you select from! - This is how they charge the people on their site! - No one wants to pay $38 to do laundry when the amount they are paid may be less than that... Put the lowest amount possible and leave exactly how big the house is and what you need in the message area that you send them.

I have seen a lot of negative reviews on here about people not getting a response and because pros on Thumbtack don't want to pay to respond.... That is not the case! They don't want to pay the outrageous prices that are being charged for jobs that aren't going to pay that much, because a lot of people who are 'just looking to make some money' go on the site and lower their prices and therefore, the rates we are able to charge, substantially!

Posting pictures of the ridiculous amount being charged for 1 Room Carpet jobs (person seeking help put how big the entire house is and put in the message only need Carpet in 1 room cleaned). This is BACKWARDS! Job costs $49 to bid and will only pay $30 - $50 max. - Other pictures posted are for a 2 Bedroom apartment, light cleaning. ($40 something). Thumbtack is making a killing! Contact Pros directly through their FB, Craigslist, Google or Yelp to help small businesses grow, not help to make greedy sites like this richer. (Angie's list etc.)

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Thumbtack so far hasn’t been a good way of getting jobs for me, They been charging me for their leads - “exact match” they say and I haven’t even talk to a real people. Even if you try to give an estimate the information they give you is very poor, How can they let somebody try to get a pro with that info. Of course I would like to get a refund..

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

"THIS SERVICE SUCKS". They will suck your bank acount.. I wouldn’t n't recommend it to anybody.. I been paying for Leads. It makes me think that it is a community doing the scam.. How could you give and estimate if they give you very poor information..

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I started using Thumbtack as a Pro back in this summer and was a bit wary of paying for leads to potential customers before even getting any work. I paid for a few leads and then got hired and seemed like it was indeed a good deal. I even convinced friends and colleagues that it was a better deal than paying to advertise where you're not even necessarily reaching people. I'm for sure backtracking now because after only a few successful paid jobs (none since July! 5 months!) I've been paying for "leads" that go nowhere.

It seems like I'm actually now paying to directly reach absolutely no one as many of these paid leads the customer either stops responding after one message or never even responds altogether. This has me thinking that Thumbtack is potentially creating fake leads to continue getting paid. I get that potential clients would be put off by having to pay for reaching out to pros so in theory this model makes sense but I should not be shelling out 100's of dollars to these leads that end up nowhere. Honestly I'd rather give my money to traditional advertising as I'd have a better chance of reaching one single person than through Thumbtack.

I'm attaching what I've paid in leads plus my conversation thread to show I've only been hired a couple times. I've tallied up the charges minus the credits (they don't refund only give you a credit for successfully disputed leads) and I've netted $460 and paid $225.92. That's 50% that I've had to pay to them. You're much better off with something like Upwork where you know you're paying only max 20% and then even less after the first $500 with a client. And that's with you definitely paid!

Thumbtack expert review by Joseph Truini

Thumbtack is a website that connects homeowners with service providers in their local area. This online company offers more than 200,000 active professionals available in all 50 U.S. states.

• Customized quotes: Homeowners can provide specific information about services they need and receive customized quotes from a range of professionals.

• Customer reviews: The site compiles customer reviews so you know you’re hiring someone who’s experienced, trusted and reputable.

• Fast hiring: Customers can hire a bath-remodeling professional with the click of a button once they have received quotes. Simply type into the search box what you need—bath remodel, bath tiling, bath vent fan installation, etc.—then follow a few simple prompts to receive a list of local contractors.

• Photos and videos: Service providers offer videos and photographs of their past projects so customers can see the workmanship firsthand.

• Messaging options: Thumbtack offers customers and professionals several communication options, including online messaging and direct phone communication to arrange the details of a project.

• Best for: Thumbtack is best for people who need help finding professionals for an affordable bath-remodeling project.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Thumbtack Company Information