3.5/5 (691 ratings)
Find a Home Improvement Contractors partner

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Thumbtack

Thumbtack is a platform that connects you with a variety of home care professionals, including for home projects, lawn and landscaping, massages, dog training and a variety of other services. Thumbtack helps you compare options, read reviews and see pricing. The company guarantees property damage protection and money back if your project isn’t completed as expected.

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

What is Thumbtack?

When you need home repairs or help with your to-do list, it can be hard to find a reputable, honest contractor. Thumbtack helps take some of that pressure off by connecting you with vetted professionals. Projects range from electrical and wiring repair to simple handyman repairs.

Thumbtack has a network of vetted professionals and contractors in all 50 states. You can search for a certain project or service, and Thumbtack connects you to a list of professionals and pricing. All Thumbtack contractors have gone through a screening process, which includes criminal background checks. Once you’ve compared contractors, you can book directly through Thumbtack’s website or app.

How does Thumbtack work?

Thumbtack is free to use once you sign up. To start, you type in what service you’re looking for and your area code. Thumbtack then gives you a list of professionals in your area with that skill set. Some also list their costs, or you can call for specific pricing. Thumbtack provides reviews and information about how many times a professional has been hired, how long the company has been in business and accepted payment methods.

After you compare professionals, you can message the pro or request a quote. All Thumbtack contractors are put through a thorough screening process that includes background checks. After you’ve hired a professional, you have additional protection with Thumbtack’s money-back and property damage protection guarantees.

Thumbtack does offer an upgraded Plus membership for $49 per year. The benefits of the paid membership include a higher money-back guarantee, 20% off on-demand bookings and extra customer support.

Thumbtack services

Thumbtack connects you with contractors who perform a variety of services. Popular services include:

• House cleaning
  • Local moving (under 50 miles)
  • Fence and gate installation
  • Dog training
  • Massage therapy
  • Interior painting
  • TV mounting
  • Central air conditioning repair or maintenance
  • Wedding and event photography
  • Furniture assembly
  • Wedding officiants
  • Swimming pool cleaning and maintenance

Chances are, if you have a home project or need, Thumbtack can help connect you to a professional in that area.

Thumbtack prices

Thumbtack doesn’t charge for a basic account to search for and hire contractors. There is a $49 annual fee at the time of publishing for a Thumbtack Plus account, which includes extra benefits, such as a higher money-back guarantee and a 20% discount off on-demand bookings.

Contractor pricing varies based on the service and your location. Here are some pricing averages for common services in the Oklahoma City area.

ServicePrice range or average
House cleaning$97 average per clean
Local moving$80 to $100 per hour
Handyman services$34 to $65 per hour
Full-service lawn$34 average per project
Furniture assembly$52 per project

Thumbtack FAQ

Where is Thumbtack available?

Thumbtack is available in all 50 states.

How does Thumbtack membership work?

The Thumbtack Plus membership is $49 per year at the time of publishing. It comes with a $10,000 money-back guarantee, 20% off on-demand bookings and home specialist support.

Who owns Thumbtack?

Thumbtack was co-founded by Marco Zappacosta, who is the current CEO. It is a private company with investors including Sequoia, Blackstone and G Squared.

Is Thumbtack safe?

Thumbtack vets contractors who appear on its site. Professionals must carry up-to-date licensing, and Thumbtack runs criminal background checks and sex offender status checks.

Is Thumbtack legit?

Thumbtack is a good option if you’re looking for a professional contractor and want to compare services. Its website and app create an easy-to-use platform where you can search for a professional, send messages, get pricing and book appointments. Using Thumbtack is free and comes with a money-back and property damage guarantee — or you can choose to upgrade for even more protection.

Thumbtack Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2023

All leads on Thumbtack are fake with fake phone numbers and addresses. Seriously all leads are fake. If you are a professional don't bother with thumbtack. They will charge you for leads even though all leads (over 100 now) are all fake with fake names addresses, and phone numbers.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2023

Effective Jan. 2023. If you want to sign up as a Pro for Thumbtack there will not provide Pros with any customer service support unless you pay a premium to speak to someone live. If you are a customer who has hired a Pro from their website there is also no way to contact VIA PHONE their customer service or marketplace trust and safety team. Their website doesn't make it easy to connect with them via email either. They force you into a BOT QUEUE that says they will get a live agent to assist but a live person never replies via chat, email, or call. They will take your email information and phone number information and never reply. I think they do this to sell your contact information.

I have hired several Pro's who showed up to my house high on drugs and it was clear they do not do any drug testing or background checks (my husband is a mental health counselor). Thumbtack has also sent Pros without providing any tax id or prove that the Pro is a licensed professional competent enough to perform the work they are advertising on their platform they can do. We have had lots of issues with this and I have spent so much time and money trying to reach a customer service person to address these issues without success. This is a not a reputable online business.

Get buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2023

I was just charged over $235 for 3 identical leads that were scams. Similar names of a potential customers asking for an estimate for our services with the EXACT same phone number, same scope of work and add-on services, same replies through the messenger on the website and the person sent the same broken English texts to our business phone asking us to follow up with someone via email.

Thumbtack refused to refund but also only gave a credit for 2 out of the 3 scam leads which is to be used on future lead fees ONLY and the 3rd scam lead was refused even a credit which was $89! Most likely there is someone working for Thumbtack creating this scam leads to generate revenue for the company since they state they do not give refunds but only credits which is money they get to keep anyway going towards future lead fees.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2023

This company charges astronomical prices to talk with a person who is also talking to other "pros" (your competition). Keep your money and put it toward other forms of marketing. A client looking for my services costs me as much as my services themselves cost and I may not even get the job.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2022

DO NOT TRUST THESE PEOPLE! Be extremely careful, especially with their junior attorney Matthew **. Do not trust him. He called me on September 20 and asked whether I would provide him with certain specific research we had completed on spec. We stipulated that the particular research he wanted me to provide Thumbtack with was worth a very specific sum of money for his company to have. I always insist on a written agreement but he assured me it would be unnecessary. I said, "Matt, Do I have your word of honor?" He replied: "Absolutely, Steve. Do not worry."

I proceeded to disclose the research results to him. He then proceeded to disappear. Could not reach him on the phone or repeated polite emails. Only when I contacted his boss on December 19 did he send me a totally laughable, lame and absurd email that he decided not to do business with my firm because he didn't like the tone of one of my emails in which I had simply asked him for an update and reminding him he had given me his word. In short, based on these facts, they simply stole my valuable research. I don't like to write negative reviews because I try to give the other side every opportunity to rectify a situation. I did that to Thumbtack but they continued to ignore me. Only then, did I submit this review. DO NOT TRUST THEM.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2022

I hired a contractor (Ultimate floors - Fort Lauderdale) in Thumbtack trusting he had a license. He damaged my entire property, I ended finding out he wasn't licensed and insured. I reported Milano ** to Thumbtack, sent them his citation from the county where he is considered guilty by working without a license and Thumbtack removed him. Two weeks later they reinstated him. Thumbtack terms clearly say that contractors must be licensed to be on the platform, but they don't care about it, they want the most contractors possible to receive their commission while customers are damaged. I'm really considering to open a class action lawsuit with everybody who was damaged from their breach of contract to their own terms and conditions. Their money back guarantee is another joke, don't expect to be protected by them.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

Working with Thumbtack Pro was a thoroughly disappointing experience. After signing up with Thumbtack Pro, I can honestly say I have had a terrible experience and do not recommend them for other service providers. Not only are their services extremely expensive, the customer service is below par and the leads provided were of extremely poor quality. Hold times for a customer service representative are well over forty five minutes. Customer service is outsourced and escalating to management does nothing additional but get you a prefabricated email. In addition to the fake leads that come through, I was particularly shocked by their refusal to refund any of the funds paid for their services even after repeated requests. In my opinion, this company does not deserve anyone's time or money and I cannot recommend them in good faith. For these reasons, as well as many others, I do not recommend Thumbtack Pro.

Resolution response: Dec. 8, 2022

Company did not allow me back unfortunately on their platform which they need to work on a better software to be able to handle these types of situations better however, my client is now able to regain access to his account without my involvement.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

I am an independent contractor who has provided services for many small business like sales and marketing to name a few and also own a small business. In the summer I opened and verified my brands page on Thumbtack (JW Marketing Agency) however did not attempt to use until recently because I didn't have enough funding so I was getting jobs through other platforms. On November, 28, 2022 I decided to turn my targeting on and added my Capital One card, and they automatically deducted $195.00 from my card, when I went in to check I couldn't access my account because they deactivated it instantly. So they stole $195.00 then lock me out. Therefore, I didn't benefit from the $195.00 they took because they locked me out and don't even know what lead they got or for what.

This is the first issue!! Then prior to my issue, I pitched Thumbtack to a client for construction leads (Caleb Renovation Corp) and got 2 accounts deactivated instantly. I spoke to the account manager who was supposed to help me with setting up everything and explained how 3 accounts one under my name and social and the other one under my clients gets deactivated.

He made me aware that my phones and computers are linked to a previous account which I guess after I quit that company became delinquent (Wondecor, LLC). My biggest issue is how can their systems link my phones and devices to this company which I resigned from September 2021 and have nothing to do with their issues since I am not an owner of that company I was simply helping them out for a couple of months and their systems can't track that I had no involvement since September 2021. I am not sure when that account became delinquent but definitely know it happened after I quit. Therefore, their investigation should be more thorough.

Second big issue is that how deep does their background check go, because apparently this former employee is on Thumbtack with verified account, which his wife verified and most likely opened from her phone. Wouldn't your spouse come up in a background check? I was a former employee which my W2, resignation letter could prove. I am appalled I am being punished by Thumbtack while the people who committed the act are under another name benefiting from their services. I want my money back and I will go through great lengths to get this fixed because it is unfair to me and the clients I currently service.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

I am a Tutor, I receive "Direct Leads" through Thumbtack, from people who did not send me a request, didn't want my services, didn't know they had sent me a request, didn't even look at my profile so they didn't know how much I charged; Thumbtack charges me almost $50 for that "Lead". When I requested a refund, Thumbtack REFUSED. Thumbtack tells the Pro's that those are direct leads, charging us a huge amount each time, but it is not true. I have now contacted several of those "leads", who didn't even know they had sent me a request.

Thumbtack asks for a minimum of a $150 to even get a chance to be "seen", then a minimum of $49/50 weekly will get us these "Leads", but if the weekly amount is too low we get zero inquiries, TT still keeps the money they have retained, with no profit for the Pros, and constant automatic recharging the $150. I have now stopped reloading my account, but they keep on sending me "Leads" that don't respond and go nowhere, but now they're telling me If I don't reload my balance, I'll be charged anyway, one lead at a time, using my card on file. They just charged me another $48. I feel like a hostage in this site now. They take the money even when you are not reloading your card. I have been with this company for about 12 years. They've changed, they're horrible, they don't even have a working phone number to ask them to stop, and they don't refund you unless you report them to the BBB.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

On September 27th in the morning I deactivated both my accounts with them. They then been proceeded to charge me for September 27th in the afternoon, the audacity to charge me on November 4th again and now on November 14th they've charged me again!! These cases in November I never even got any leads cuz I can't get in cuz both the accounts are deactivated. This is not a company I would use if I was you. I'm having to go to the Better Business Bureau, dispute it with my bank and now I've gotten my lawyers involved. Where in America are you allowed to charge people for services when they clearly sent you emails, deactivated their accounts and told you they do not want to deal with you anymore?!!

Thumbtack Company Information