Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Thumbtack Reviews

Original review: July 26, 2019

Mike ** did an amazing job on our free standing shower. He apparently takes pride in his work and it showed! It is hard to find someone with integrity and having their work speak for itself! Thank you Mike! License # **

Original review: July 4, 2019

When I contacted the owner of Dreams2Reality Events & More LLC and had my first discussion about my wedding I was put at ease by her ideas that she brought forward. After a few discussion, all I had to do was to make my payment to her and the rest one would say is history. She took care of everything - the cake, the venue (church and reception room), the photographer, the programme, my dress, souvenir - everything. When I went to get look at possible wedding dresses, she had pick out one for me. It fitted perfectly without her taking my measurement and the design was beautiful. I had a stress-free wedding with very little input and changes from me. I would recommend this company/the wedding planner to anyone who have not formulated exactly what they want for their wedding and who wishes to have a stress-free wedding. Vashti

Get expert buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I contracted with Jack Sims of Sims Wood Works to build me a table for my foyer. He contacted me promptly, gave me a design and price quickly. He built my table and has delivered it. I love it. It is just what I wanted. He did a great job. Would definitely use him again.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I took private hip-hop lesson with Darren since April 2018 until October 2018, I wanted to learn hip-hop so I could perform at my 60th birthday party, at first I was scared, but he helped me feel relaxed and comfortable to start from the beginning hip hop moves. As time went on, I got more confident and could learn new steps more easily and not get tired as I did when I first started, in the end of my classes. I was able to accomplish what I wanted and performed at my 60th birthday party, and everyone loved what we had choreographed together, I highly recommend him for anyone who wants to learn hip-hop.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Joe at All Solar was very honest and helpful. I spoke to three other vendors but without meeting anyone face to face. I felt All Solar cared and felt it was about his pride in his service and not just about getting a job. I am a small business owner and was extremely happy and satisfied with the excellent service I received. I will recommend him in a heartbeat and plan on using him to install a system on my other home. Thank you Joe for your honesty and hard work, you not only represented Thumbtack well but yourself also.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

Thumbtack is great for those who are looking for a contractor. Unfortunately a contractor and I had a misunderstanding and I posted a negative review for the company. I edited my review (which you can only do once apparently) before talking to the business owner. I found out he was in the hospital and therefore missed our appointment. They rescheduled and came out to cut down some trees and did amazing work. I called/emailed Thumbtack asking them to let me re-edit my review and they keep denying my request. This is absolutely unnecessary. I am trying to make things right for a business that provided excellent service. Fix your policy!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

Was impressed with the speediness of the original contact, keeping the original appointment, even starting the job as contracted and finishing the same. At a glance, the job is beautiful. Then the flaws started to show. My ceramic floor was peeling due to something that was put on the floor that began peeling when wet. There is a gaping hole underneath the bathroom vanity that, unless you get on your knees and look, you would not see. Had to paint one end of the bathroom door because only the front and back of the door and the other end where the hardware goes was painted.

There are other things that, below the surface, is not seen at a glance. Also, there was damage done to the bottom of my vanity that was not mentioned. Called, Calvin, the contractor, made an appointment for him to come see my concerns and discuss repair or monetary compensation. He never showed nor did he answer my text. In essence, they did a good job, but don't look beyond the "surface" of their work because you would be disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

This has been the worst experience we have ever dealt with being a pro. They absolutely do not care at all about the pros. They make it extremely easy for customers to scam pros, take advantage of pros, and they do nothing to help or protect the pros whatsoever. They just keep finding ways to take your money. When you call they pacify you and do nothing to help. If a customer makes a complaint they don't try to contact you at all to get both sides. They just completely deactivate your account???

I have all great reviews. 72 reviews top pro status and a 4.9 rating and one customer who scammed us and tried to leave a bad review that was completely bogus. Thumbtack just deactivated my account with no warning, no reason why, did not allow us to say what happened and keep in mind there was nothing illegal or anything and wouldn't reactivate or even have a live person explain why?

We have spent tons of money and worked tons of hours on these blind leads and helped advertise for thumbtack with our great reviews. One bad customer and that was it. Completely unfair. Not to mention they changed their way of doing business every other week which made it extremely hard to get a good routine down. Absolutely the worst experience ever from any company.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

Thumbtack is a marketing service, not a provider of tax preparation, window installation, or anything else. So, if someone reviews the services they received, one must understand that is a review of a company using Thumbtack. You have good companies, bad companies, and some in-between. Thumbtack is happy to take the money of any pro who wants to use its site. You should evaluate the pro by looking at their website, qualifications and reviews, outside of Thumbtack.

I am a Pro user- an accountant. A CPA. A damn good one. I am very frustrated with the users on Thumbtack and how easy TT has made it for these users to just press a button and charge me without any interest in communicating beyond that. Do some of these people contact me? Sure. Sometimes, I will even get an intelligent person who understands the value of my services. But, more often than not, I will simply be charged and the person won't even bother to contact me beyond pressing a button to ask for my availability.

Why would Thumbtack change this? Its revenue is driven by charging pros for leads, not be helping those leads be successful. So, the short of it is that the consumer of Thumbtack is 100% the pros who use it. If you are a Pro and want more business, do Thumbtack only if you can handle being ghosted 95% of the time. If you are a customer looking for a pro on Thumbtack, please be considerate and don't press a button to charge us if you don't really mean it.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I once responded to a lead that Thumbtack provided. The lead was ok. He paid a non-refundable deposit and he was calling me names via emails and leaving degrading remarks (even after I issued a full-refund). Thumbtack allowed his condescending remarks on my profile for all to view instead banning this customer. I found Thumbtack unprofessional to say the least.

Thumbtack expert review by Joseph Truini

Thumbtack is a website that connects homeowners with service providers in their local area. This online company offers more than 200,000 active professionals available in all 50 U.S. states.

• Customized quotes: Homeowners can provide specific information about services they need and receive customized quotes from a range of professionals.

• Customer reviews: The site compiles customer reviews so you know you’re hiring someone who’s experienced, trusted and reputable.

• Fast hiring: Customers can hire a bath-remodeling professional with the click of a button once they have received quotes. Simply type into the search box what you need—bath remodel, bath tiling, bath vent fan installation, etc.—then follow a few simple prompts to receive a list of local contractors.

• Photos and videos: Service providers offer videos and photographs of their past projects so customers can see the workmanship firsthand.

• Messaging options: Thumbtack offers customers and professionals several communication options, including online messaging and direct phone communication to arrange the details of a project.

• Best for: Thumbtack is best for people who need help finding professionals for an affordable bath-remodeling project.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Thumbtack Company Information