Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.08/5

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Thumbtack Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

Thumbtack is the worst spam in so many levels. If I could give them a zero I would gladly do so. I am going to share my experience to bring light in their evil activities. Background information: I had been a loyal Thumbtack Pro client since 2018 with a 5 star rating.

1 - Window Shoppers:

All the way up to prior COVID-19, I was getting cheap clients, was not breaking event, however my goals was to build a portfolio, so I was willing to take the loss.

2 - Fake Clients and messages:

After COVID-19 hit, 100% of my lead were just window shoppers, did not reply back even though I have an average of 20 minute response time, which is insanely quick given that their average top pro replies in 4 hours. Here I am a top rated professional, who has invested over $2000 to receive fake messages from window shopper with ZERO BOOKINGS.

3 - Open Robbery:

I had specifically set my account to not accept inquiries from customers who need 5 or more hours of coverage and customers who are unsure of their budget. Guest what did I get charged for? You guessed it right, I was charged exactly for what I said I did not want.

4 - More Robbery:

I had set my Thumbtack calendar no show me as unavailable for a few days I was traveling and had no internet access so customers won't reach out to me and I get AUTOMATICALLY CHARGE. Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that when customer reach out to you, even before you accept their request you GET CHARGED. So, guess what I got charged for? You guessed it, I was charged exactly for what I said I did not want.

5 - One sided policy:

This is an understatement, because their entire operation is solely based on one-sided policies that ONLY benefit them and even when they contradict their own policies they will blame it on a newbie agent lack of training. If you don't believe me, simply take a look at their Pro policy.

6 - Customer Care who just don't care:

I challenge you to call Thumbtack in an attempt to speak to someone about anything. They will never answer and you will literally listen to an automated message with only one option to send a text message to resolve whatever it is you are trying to take care of. However, when you finally out of frustration send a text message, their agent will deflect your questions, waste your time play dumb, blame you the caller and even contradict their own policy to justify their charges to your account.

I wish I had anything positive to say about dumping $2,000 for fake leads, one-sided policies and customer care who just don't about anything but steal your hard earned money.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

I've been using the service since 2016 when it first started, whereas a Pro I would pay "per lead that I speak with". That's around $4 - $9 per lead. Today, I log in after COVID-19 and find out that Thumbtack has changed the rules to benefit them - they make you pay $68.05 per lead period. It no longer matters if you spoke to the lead or not. This totally contradicts what they have posted on their website which reads "You only pay if the customer replies to your message". They do not do what they are promising. It's false. It is misleading.

Let me say that once more: The new policy is you pay for any lead they send, $68.05 each lead, regardless if you get a chance to speak with the person (yet alone if you are hired for any job). It's a total scam. Any freelancer or contractors should not use this service they will be dumping hundreds of dollars down the drain and having nothing to show for it. Customer service? Non-existent. They only state that you pay for every lead $68.05 they deliver regardless if you are hired or talked to the lead.

Get buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

If I could give this a ZERO, I would. I've been looking for weeks now to get a skilled carpenter to do a fairly uncomplicated project. HOWEVER, there is a threshold in the app where you select anything below a Level of Effort arbitrarily determined by the app, you get an immediate, "Pro is unavailable". But if you select a LARGE project, VOILA: Pro is suddenly available. ???? What kind of BS service do you call this? Can you speak to anyone at this joint, NOPE!! Here's an grade school basic rule: If a "PRO" does a great job with a small job, HE WILL GET CALL BACKS FOR THE BIGGER JOBS!! Thumbtack is an utterly useless referral service and violates a COMMON SENSE approach to supporting a microeconomy approach towards skill sharing. Local "PROS" develop business through positive word-of-mouth endorsements for ANY SIZE JOB!!!! CAPEESH??

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

This is the biggest rip off ever! You have to pay for every lead whether hired or not. And these leads are 20 to 35 dollars a pop! This adds up fast! I'm not here to "connect with new customers" who can decide not to even hire me. I'm here to get a job. I spend more money on this site than I do working at jobs I get from here. What a ScaM! All these stupid leads that I dont get hired for add up to hundreds of dollars. Seriously???. Screw you Thumbtack. Screw you for making it impossible for us "little guys" just trying to make some money. You are money hungry!!!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

Thumbtack treats their trade professionals with disdain and silence. There is NO phone number to call to actually speak to a human being. Their only support is a text line and on that you only get standard, pre-written (and stupid) answers. Go ahead, try finding their HQ phone number... It's not listed. NO ONE to talk to. And they bill indiscriminately. It's embarrassing... and wrong. That said, it's no worse than HomeAdvisor.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

Signed up for this service only to get bombarded with emails, when I tried to cancel and unsubscribe to notifications it had to be done online. Still getting emails. No way to contact anyone by telephone. Because my account has be deactivated no way to contact anyone by their online chat. Chat is not available because my account has been deactivated, I just want the emails to stop and never have anything to do with his business again. The fact that they do not publish a phone number should tell you to stay away.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

This company is a sham. People who are not screened, find you as the Pro to complete work you are offering. You must pay for someone who wants to hire you. You pay if you have a conversation with them. You may never get hired and still have to pay Thumbtack. When you have an issue, their support staff does not respond to emails timely, nor do they read what was written so they can respond and try to find resolution. You don't get your money back if you ask for a refund, rather you receive a credit to use for the next lead you accept. And you need to ask for it within 30 days after the payment. So for 5 people I responded to, I had to pay each time from $6.23 - $17.92. I lost money and found no work. Thumbtack is a great site for scammers as they find you, you pay Thumbtack, then you work with the person who has "hired" you which is a scammer. This site is a scammer's dream. Please do not sign up to use this company.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

Thumbtack recommended a contractor for drywall repair in my ceiling. The contractor showed up four hours late. Two workers left after waiting on him with no pay. He showed up to repair my 16' ceiling with no ladder the second, third or fourth day. He did not cover the flooring and melted the plastic coverings on my chandeliers. He arrived with new tools, still had tags on them. The work is worse than the damaged ceiling was before he arrived. The two day job took four days because he showed up late each day. Sent photos of traffic jam two days in a row using the same photo. I spent seven hours cleaning my hardwood floors because they were covered in drywall mud and paint.

The final worker told me that the contractor drops him off at jobs without materials all the time and homeowners get upset that he is sitting around doing nothing. I provided Thumbtack with photos of the work and was told by the representative that the work was not acceptable and they would get my money back so that I could hire someone to make the repairs. After back and forth emails with Thumbtack for three months they threw me under the bus and told me I would have to take action on my own. The contractors I have contacted have given me quotes for twice as much at the one Thumbtack recommended because they have to remove the "repairs" and then repair the drywall. Avoid Thumbtack!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

We were with Thumbtack for 2 weeks, we were charged 800.00!!! Every customer who was an exact match we had to pay for! Even if we didnt respond to the request or accept it! They got over on us majorly and we are just a small business starting out and they put us in the hole! We got absolutely no business from them, yes my phone blew up with request but never got a job from them! This is absolutely horrible to do to pros as well as the customers. I would never recommend this company for any leads! Our bank is looking into these charges as well.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I have had 2 different horrible experiences within a week with Thumbtack's contractors. This last contractor took money from me for material and never came back. He left my bathroom and garage a mess, He refused to wear a mask. The name of the company is United hands and the contractor's name is Carnell **. If you see this company and this guy run in the opposite direction. He is a thief, And thumbtack will hire anyone. They do not care about background checks making sure you are safe with these contractors. I'm going to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and with the Attorney General's office in my state. THUMBTACK should be shut down PERIOD.

Thumbtack author review by Joseph Truini

Thumbtack is a website that connects homeowners with service providers in their local area. This online company offers more than 200,000 active professionals available in all 50 U.S. states.

• Customized quotes: Homeowners can provide specific information about services they need and receive customized quotes from a range of professionals.

• Customer reviews: The site compiles customer reviews so you know you’re hiring someone who’s experienced, trusted and reputable.

• Fast hiring: Customers can hire a bath-remodeling professional with the click of a button once they have received quotes. Simply type into the search box what you need—bath remodel, bath tiling, bath vent fan installation, etc.—then follow a few simple prompts to receive a list of local contractors.

• Photos and videos: Service providers offer videos and photographs of their past projects so customers can see the workmanship firsthand.

• Messaging options: Thumbtack offers customers and professionals several communication options, including online messaging and direct phone communication to arrange the details of a project.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Thumbtack Company Information