1.13/5

Looking for a home improvement contractor?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

407 Thumbtack Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I have spent years building my presence and profile with Thumbtack. I used to pay around $8.00 per lead then saw that I was charged $86.00 for my last lead. This is a very deceptive practice as they have made it so difficult to understand their new system. I would never pay 10x the original cost and didn't know I was going to be charged such an outrageous price! Customer service told me that I would receive better and "more qualified" leads. Simply not true. Absolute lie. The leads are no better than before. Please look into this fraud company and help all of us who have been scammed.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I am a “pro” for Upholstery on Thumbtack. A year ago my leads cost around $3.50 per lead. I could afford to bid on jobs at large hoping to land 1 or 2 every so often. In a year my lead cost went up to $15-$20 PER LEAD and I never got photos with the request. So if I responded asking for photos I would be spending $20 whether they respond or not. It has become a total rip-off and instead of growing my business it has hurt me financially instead. I’ve made several comments to them regarding the problem. They do respond but just with spinning wheels. I’m done. I deactivated and deleted. Get it together Thumbtack. You are not a good partnership for small business.

Get expert buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I am an editor and writer and have been a Thumbtack pro since 2014. For several years running I have been a "top pro" with a five-star rating and dozens of glowing reviews. In years past, I would typically spend $300 on Thumbtack leads to generate $5,000 in income. They have changed their system so that if you opt to be "promoted" they automatically match you with a client and charge you. In the past two months I've already spent $300 on Thumbtack and gotten almost no work. I'm coming to suspect that many of the leads are fake, because most of the clients don't respond back to me after I contact them.

If you don't opt to be promoted you don't get any job leads. I have numerous horror stories about these so-called clients. Yesterday, a man claiming to be a screenplay writer said he'd only pay me on spec, if he got a contract for his screenplay, which might have been dozens of hours of work for me, he'd give me a percentage. I asked Thumbtack for a refund. They declined. Thumbtack itself is becoming a scam to soak professionals. I'm considering pursuing a lawsuit against the company.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

It’s been my experience that 90% of the leads you pay for either cancel the project or the so called "customer" never responds AND YOU HAVE NO WAY TO REACH them, much less get an address to give them a bid. And then these joke customer service people have the audacity to tell me if my profile was better I’ll have more success, and refund me nothing. BOTTOM LINE FACTS - last 15 leads I paid $85 each for... 4 customers communicated and I gave them estimates, 1 signed. They are outright frauds. RUN AWAY! If you don’t believe me keep reading reviews. I’ll probably file a small claims case just so they have to waste money on an attorney. Licensed roofer/contractor in Florida.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I've been a wedding videographer for over 13 years. As some may know, the major wedding directories are theKnot and WeddingWire. So I mainly advertise with them, but I noticed Thumbtack would come up on the first page thru Google searches, so I decided to give Thumbtack a try. Thumbtack automatically charges vendors if the vendor has "Promoted" enabled AND the customer is a "match" to the vendor's preferences. From Thumbtack website: "You pay automatically for leads that match your preferences, whether you reply or not."

I recently noticed I was sent a lead that did NOT match my preference. A bride looking for 8 hours of video coverage with a budget lower than $1000. For those hours, the estimated work would be $1320. However, Thumbtack somehow matched this lead to me and automatically charged me $46.00. I spent close to 1 hour with their support and they went around in circles giving all kind of dumb excuses. They are trained to avoid at all costs to refund your money. Google should not list Thumbtack as part of their search results. They are scammers!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Don't plan on building your business reputation on this website. As soon as you get established with reviews they will delete your account and tell you they currently do not advertise for your business category anymore. It happened to me. I have had my business with them since 2011 (that is 8 years). I had 10 - 5 star reviews and they just threw them out and deleted my account. I even paid for a criminal background check to just have my account deleted. They are a horrible business.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Thumbtack is sucks as a service more look like a fraud. I had construction services on their platform, and they keep charged me for leads, and not all customers actually hired me. But Thumbtack charged me all the time and refuse refund my money when customers cancel project. I never get job from them and spend more than $100. I don't think so it's fair. They should refund money when Pro doesn't get work. Thumbtack service sucks. I better do business with Yelp. ** Thumbtack.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

FAST FENCES INC. He did a contract to do the fence and paint and post caps. He build the fence but never came to paint and fence or bring the caps. We pay them in full. But was our fault to give all the money. Do not trust them.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

They have stolen so much money from my company by providing fake leads and not validating them. They have deactivated my account and stolen my money and hard earned reviews. They are scammers and are racist.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

We used Thumbtack to find a contractor to build a deck on the back of our home. They called and made an appointment with us. They looked professional with a professional name on the truck. They said they were local. They beat our lowest estimate by not much but enough to believe them. They ask for a little money down to get started then they disappeared. No one has ever heard of these contractors or their company. Checked 5 states to see if anyone heard of the band of thieves but with no success. Never ever use this company to help you find anyone! They don't screen their contractors at all. The contractors are suppose to be local my **. Thumbtack are in California and I'm in Indiana How ** dumb am I? I didn't give them much thank God but it still sucks. Use HomeAdvisor!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Contracted and confirmed date, time and price - "CHORE CATCHERS" NEVER SHOWED!! Called back next day. Apologized. Promised would be there next day, no show, no call and when I contacted Thumbtack they said "there must of been a reason???"

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I used Thumbtack for the last 6 years. In the beginning it was great. I built a great list of clients using Thumbtack. The current changes that were made are not Pro-friendly. The price per lead has increased and when you don't bid enough or spend enough money with them your account is deactivated. If you are a new business owner trying to get established this service may be for you. However if you are established find other ways to promote your business. Thumbtack you dropped the ball.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Beware of their customers such as Perry with Carolinas Exteriors! I needed a new roof on a rental property I have. Being a single mother I did not know of who to go to so found a bidding site where professionals bid against each other fir the job. I landed with Carolinas Exteriors based out of Mill Spring, NC who bidder a total of $3500 cash ($500 less than the other 2 companies). In his quote he was to remove the old shingles and replace with new ones, also changing out all the boots to the exhaust outlets.

2 weeks late starting the job...he comes out with one other helper and removed the shingles right down to the bare wooden roof panels. He then put the tar paper and left for two days. The tar paper half blew off and exposed my roof to non stop rain (the week prior to Christmas). I had water damage inside the structure and the master bathroom flooded. After calling him...he came back out to complete the job. The tenants said that he arrived with a trailer full of loose non packaged shingles (leftover material from his previous jobs) and started putting them on the roof.

After the job was done I went up on the roof to find at least 3 different shades /colors of shingle with different brands. The roof looks absolutely terrible and is mismatched and patched. He also never replaced any of the boots (as stated) on the roof. The business owner came up with excuse after excuse why it is like that, trying to pull the wool over my eyes. I am a single female who feels I was taken advantage of. After numerous text messages trying to resolve the issue, he said it is what it is and would not refund or compensate me for anything.

I have all his texts and his bid of $3500 CASH. This man and company rates themselves as professional. Thumbtack is the agency he bids with and the agency allows you to enter references about them. After research I know of 3 customers who gave him 1 star and a bad review -these were deleted from his profile so all customers see is 5 star reviews on this guy. I would love to be compensated my $ 3500, but most of all -I want to get word out there of his work so he does not do this to more people! Putting used and leftover mismatched shingles on someone’s roof is unacceptable. He took my money and ran... Please help expose this company. Carolinas Exteriors. Phone: (828) 767-1086. Web: carolinasroofingandwindows.com/.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

When hiring from Thumbtack.com Where is YOUR money being spent. If you intend to use this service (which sadly was my favorite place to turn to when I had a slow day to fill) then please know that Thumbtack is charging me over $22.00 for your name; a gigantic greedy jump from the 3 to 5 dollars that they used to charge me. I try my best to keep my pricing fair and justified. TT.COM USED To be a unique, fair minded, customer oriented (on both sides contractor and consumer), and by far The best solution to putting qualified professionals together with folks in need of a contractor.

Unfortunately now Greed is their new God and you and I will never meet unless you find and call me directly. I'm not saying that You are not worth $22.00+ to me! I am not going to jam my customers to feed this greed. ThumbTack.Com Stopped thinking about their real job which was to simply introduce us. "Pay To Get Listed" HomeAdvisor, Angie's List and now thumbtack.com type sites are a dime a dozen. I would question the vendors who have to and are willing to pay the absurd amounts these sites ask them to pay. Why are these vendors so desperate? I have one possible and probable answer; they are not good at what they do. I'm glad thumbtack.com is doing so well for themselves; unfortunately it was at the expense of ALL our common interests including their own. WORCESTER ELECTRICIAN Douglas **. MASTER ELECTRICIAN Serving Boston, Metro West and Worcester Ma Since 1987.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Was a Thumbtack Pro since 11/17. Became a Top Pro only to have them deactivate my account after they charged me over $100 for fake leads. 95% of the time these supposed customers don’t even respond. If you are a small business do not get involved with Thumbtack. I can go on and on about different negative things they have done. Thumbtack is trash. They even keep 1 bad review out of 31 on the top of my reviews even though I had 20+ since then and it was from someone I never did business with. I repeat they feed you fake customers and charge you for nothing!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I used Thumbtack for a couple years until they deactivated my account due to no fault of mine. Their explanation was that I was linked to another Thumbtack business who had a unpaid balance. I work solo so this was not the facts and sadly I could no longer use my account and my reputation that I had built up. They said until the linked Person pays the account, I can't use my account or start a new one. No Thanks! Thumbtack has their wires crossed and it's affecting their own business! They need to get their crap straight!!! I will not return! I recommend not using them!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I am a hypnotherapist and a top pro. Up until mid-2018 I received 90% of my business on Thumbtack. I went from, at the highest, 17 leads per month to zero. 17 leads for me is excellent for my profession since I converted almost all of them to actual jobs. As of today January 28, 2019 I've received no viable leads since Oct 2018. I've talked to Thumbtack at least 15 times. I found one CS agent who made some suggestions but it didn't help. Let me say I would pay any amount of money for true leads since clients usually come see me more than 6 times and I get referrals from those clients. I use Thumbtack because Yelp is too expensive. I've signed up for other therapy generated leads but their sites aren't as popular as TT and the leads are very few.

Right now I am going to post negative reviews for TT everywhere I can so I can try and get TT to listen. I have done this for other businesses and it has been very productive. I suggest that others do the same. Just as a side comment… TT took my Top Pro status away because I haven't converted any jobs. Funny that they take away leads and penalize me for their mismanagement.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Thumbtack sucks big time! Shout-out to all freelancers - DO NOT FALL FOR THUMBTACK PREDATORY PRACTICES! I have been Thumbtack Pro for a couple of years. After trying to compete with overseas talent - meaning not getting any jobs, I decided to change my email preferences with Thumbtack. I chose to not receive any notifications. The moment I did that they started to charge me for "automated promotion od my business" - never sending me any info about those charges. I never knew about the "auto promotion", never send any quotes and never got any jobs.

Now, a couple of months later, when I discovered those charges, they refuse to refund the money the charged without my consent. Even the money that was charged less than 30 days ago (which according to their refund policy should be refundable without questions). Thumbtack management are predators preying on vulnerable small business owners, who cannot afford legal representation. Product or service mentioned: Thumbtack Leads. The reason of review: unauthorized payments for non-delivered leads. Monetary Loss: $245. Preferred solution: Full refund. I didn't like: Predatory practices, Scammed me out of 245 dollars, Misleading policies.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Do NOT and I repeat do NOT use this company. They are ripping vendors off. Now paying for leads only. I didn't mind when paying for an actual bid but it has changed. Please - it will end up costing you a fortune.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

If the agreement states that you fund your account to get leads, therefore, no funding, no leads. I could not even send out a quote to a client because it bounce back to my payment page to add funds to my account. Then, a lead happens to slip through asking me a question "what's my next step" that is not even a service request question. Yet, Thumbtack charged my card which didn't go through because I had no funds on it, yet, I still owe them money. To make matters worse, the so-called customer requested all the services which took the estimate to a high cost. No one deep cleans their homes weekly even with pets!

Thumbtack realize that after a week with 2 leads, which notifications came to my phone 2-3 hours after, I should be happy to load money back on my account. I never got any clients! I paid for those and was okay with it, because they seemed to be legit customers enquiring. I tried to load a minimum amount of $35, but it would not process unless I add the $60 they suggested to send me leads. YOU CANNOT FORCE MONEY OUT OF PEOPLE'S HANDS. We should be allowed to add any amount of funds we can afford and deal with the number of leads we paid for. Zero to one, if that's the case. This is very unethical! And the support team has no leniency towards this situation.

If the question from the client was about my service, then I would say, "Okay, I'm gonna lose that one because I did not fund my account." But this wired question came in on my inbox to lure me to respond and be billed. As a matter of fact, even if I didn't respond, the fact that a "customer" sent me a message, I'm gonna be billed. Even if the question is irrelevant! Thumbtack has some shady things going on and scamming people and I'm done!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I have been a pro on Thumbtack for 6 years now. They have been going through a lot of changes. I have spent a lot of time complaining to them about what is unfair. I have spent a lot of money with them. 1. They match me with customers outside of my service area, charge me for it even if their customer had to no idea that I am not from their area and was looking for someone closer.

2. I have no recourse. I pay for responses and I get no information on the customer even though they have mine. 3. Pros are not protected on Thumbtack. For example, A user made an appointment with me and canceled after the 24 hour period they agreed to, and I invoiced them for the late cancellation... They were able to open a dispute with Thumbtack and they froze my account when no charges were made nor was my side of the story taken into account. Where is my recourse? I am the paying customer THUMBTACK! Don't forget that the pros pay for Thumbtack services. You should treat the PROS with priority. I used to like THUMBTACK but now you just want to make money off the pros and treat us poorly. Do better.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Thumbtack used to be great—now, not so much. The new trend is for them to charge pros for “leads” when a customer submits *any* response to a pro. We have paid HUNDREDS of dollars for “leads” to simply send a message to say “thanks for the quick response, but we hired elsewhere...” Yes, Thumbtack charges at times upwards of $25 just for a consumer to send a message to a pro stating that they have terminated the lead. Thumbtack has answered my complaint to this by basically stating that they charge for ANY contact from a “lead” to a pro, no matter what the content. Bottom line: They’ve gotten greedy and refuse to educate consumers that the service is *not* free as advertised, but instead they are charging someone, even if no real service is rendered. They should be investigated for fraud.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I used to love Thumbtack. I got very good at what the market would bear and got lots of business at a reasonable cost. Now after all the changes it cost about 500% more and no guarantee you will get the business anyway. To anyone thinking about staying on Thumbtack open your eyes. I turned off all instant match notifications after I was charged for a whats your availability contact the customer never responded to. When I see any and all appliance repair quotes having at a least minimum of 3 and sometimes up to 8 instant quotes I know that is a sham. I just got an email yesterday that I am again a top pro. Whee! Closing my account today!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

As a pro I do not recommend them. Avoid at all cost. I called before signing up for this service to clarify a few things, and was told I only pay for leads I responded to. This was not case at all. 4 days into service I was charged 40 for a lead that I did not respond to, after 2 and half hours on hold I was told my advanced setting were wrong but they were not. They did not credit me the lead money back even though I was told they had good customer service and could correct these things easily.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

They stoled 2 unauthorized payments from my credit card. Do not respond to a lead because they will charge you. The customer seeking services may not even select you and they do not know that the professional is being charged for the lead... Thumbtack steal your money just in case you're going to respond to lead. I reported them to the credit card holder PayPal and then I deactivated my account and I received an error message that there is an internet connection issue. #Scam

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Thumbtack has confusing practices for the customer looking for work, which benefits them and makes the pros pay for it. If I get chosen as the pro the client wants to deal with and charged more for that and then you send the client more pros to quote the job. How is that fair to the pro? They have made so many changes that they don’t even know how to keep up with them. Any questions you have about their pricing or practices get the generic, "We appreciate all feedback and take your concerns seriously". They don’t.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I wrote up a long request and sent them to pros, just to find out that Thumbtack does not actually send them the message, but a crafted version of what they think you want. This was a HUGE waste of my time. I will never go to them again.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I am so sick of Thumbtack. I have several sites and I am trying to download pictures on both sites but the same picture keeps coming up. My customers can't understand what's going on. I keep receiving price quotes for services that I do not do. They tell me they will take care of the problem but it still goes on. I get 9 request for something that I have no interest in and 1 price quote for a service that I do have. They tell you one thing and do nothing to solve the problem. They need to be shut down.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Thumbtack will direct people to your page who have no interest in following up on the lead. They will then allow other pros to reach out with a quote after you have already been charged. They then prompt customers to ask those pros questions, which counts as a lead so they have to pay Thumbtack as well. I have tried Thumbtack for 3 weeks. So far my profile has gotten over 1000 views and about 10 leads which has cost me about $300 to date. This has resulted in $0 business. Terrible business model for pros. Great money making tactic for Thumbtack.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Thumbtack is a dishonest company. The way they calculate the lead price is based on the boxes the potential client selects. In one instance, a user selected in their request that they are interested in a projector, screen and sound system but in their comments they write explicitly that they are only interested in a sound system. The cost for this lead was quite expensive but I figured Thumbtack would adjust the fee once I made them aware of this. Thumbtack refused to adjust the price of the lead despite me pointing this out to them. The cost of the lead was over 25% of the potential profit and Thumbtack couldn't care less. Their employees are not empowered to do anything. Despite expressing my frustration and how I would no longer be using the platform the Thumbtack employee was powerless to adjust the fee or offer any type of compensation.

Thumbtack expert review by Joseph Truini

Thumbtack is a website that connects homeowners with service providers in their local area. This online company offers more than 200,000 active professionals available in all 50 U.S. states.

• Customized quotes: Homeowners can provide specific information about services they need and receive customized quotes from a range of professionals.

• Customer reviews: The site compiles customer reviews so you know you’re hiring someone who’s experienced, trusted and reputable.

• Fast hiring: Customers can hire a bath-remodeling professional with the click of a button once they have received quotes. Simply type into the search box what you need—bath remodel, bath tiling, bath vent fan installation, etc.—then follow a few simple prompts to receive a list of local contractors.

• Photos and videos: Service providers offer videos and photographs of their past projects so customers can see the workmanship firsthand.

• Messaging options: Thumbtack offers customers and professionals several communication options, including online messaging and direct phone communication to arrange the details of a project.

• Best for: Thumbtack is best for people who need help finding professionals for an affordable bath-remodeling project.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Thumbtack Company Information