1.11/5
Based on 192 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a home improvement contractor?

208 Thumbtack Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 20, 2018

Oh, my how I wish I had checked Consumer Affairs reviews of this online vendor matching service before I proceeded in hiring one of the "Handymen" they referred to me. Instead, I relied on them, believing they had done some preliminary screening. Well, not only do I have an incomplete, unfinished project (lights still not working and thankfully job was small), but because I got this uneasy feeling I did some background checking on my own of the handyman and found he has a verifiable criminal background that is easily ascertained with a press release of his arrest for grand theft that was run online. And to think I had this guy and his friend working at my house based on their referral. Scary lesson learned on my part. Don't trust online referrals from Thumbtack. Go with who you know.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I've been with Thumbtack for the past 3 years and have enjoyed working with them. The beginning of the year they changed their platform and increased their pricing tremendously, where once we had 3 to 5 pros bidding for one job and could designed our own templates to customize our style, now there are up to 10 pros bidding, and all of us with the same ad, there is no personalizing anymore. Instead, I feel the customer asking for pricing is so overwhelmed by a large number of pros bidding for a job that is not even a guarantee any one of us will get. I'm spending my money advertising my business somewhere else.

Get expert buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I am a TOP PRO in all 3 businesses on Thumbtack due to getting over 100 5 Star Reviews!!! And I was making good money for the past few years on Thumbtack, but over the past year (2017) they have substantially raised the prices. They charge pros just to get a contact/not a job, a contact mind you that may never hire you, which means emailing this contact through their website, so you do not even get their personal email. Like tonight, I got a contact for a wedding officiant position, my price I would charge the couple was only $125, as I like to offer a reasonable deal, but Thumbtack's fee was $21 just to talk to the couple through emailing on their site, I would have to pay this upfront without getting the couples phone/contact or the job. NO THANKS THUMBTACK!!! I will take my business elsewhere. You are ripping your pros off--not cool, I've been with you since you first started.

Original review: June 19, 2018

They are not about you anymore, it's about them. The pricing has gone up. Don't let them fool you. Do your homework. $55 is the minimum for a roofing contractor? When I get nothing from them. No addresses, numbers nothing. The math is more. One lead for a contractor is 18.85 in my area. So now just for $55 a week you can get maybe 5 contacts? $55 X 4= $220.00. (this is the minimum) Not looking right if you ask me. I have been with them for 3 years. Had some great contacts but it's not worth the money they want me to pay now.

Original review: June 19, 2018

After being on Thumbtack for over 3 years I closed my account before these thieves drained any more from me. This new charging policy is both confusing and deceptive... Before you know it, hundreds can be drained from your account. They send you so-called interested customers, who are dubious at best, and charge you an exorbitant fee in the process. Pros beware, don't get ripped off!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

Original review: June 18, 2018

Thumbtack has changed its platform and it is a total rip off to the Pro environment. They charge $40-$70 for leads that customers don't follow up on or reply. Why should I pay $43 for a customer who is shopping around to ask me what is the next step for me to reply and never hear back from the customer, when that customer never had plans on or intent on hiring someone from the beginning? Maybe they should start charging the customer a percentage instead of price gouging us! Thumbtack is not beneficial to Pros to enhance or gain business, the platform is more so to make money for Thumbtack.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Price increased by 500% and the request are all junk. If the customers sends one of the automated messages or any message BAM your account is charge and the little ROBOTS sitting in the help center tell you all the requests sent were all good and the charges will stay. You have to ask yourself what do you normally do when someone is stealing from you? BAM they’re out of your life and you move on!!!

Original review: June 15, 2018

I used Thumbtack for years with reasonable results but now I am seriously considering eliminating my account. I was told from a support person that under their new system if I received a request for a quote that I would not be charged if they contacted me directly. I paused their Instant Match which I thought meant that any quote requests coming through were direct contacts. Then I discovered today they've been charging for the quotes-no indication of the charge in the quote, no bill to peruse, no notification that I was charged.

I discovered it by accident when I went to make a quote that told me I was over the $20 weekly budget I set (which I thought only was used if "Instant Match" is on and I had paused that). I can't afford $20 per week when I am essentially fully booked for the hours I want to work. I'm concerned somehow they will charge me for something but I hate to eliminate my account in case I need it in the future. I can't decide it. Eliminating it will lower my website in search engines. Of course, for a while now, my high 5 star rating on Thumbtack has been used to lure in potential customers liking my profile who are then given quotes from multiple teachers.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Thumbtack is one of the worst companies I've had the displeasure of doing business with, and in my opinion ranks right up there with United Airlines, Comcast, and Chinese water torture. Each interaction with them, I've felt fortunate to have just survived all the ensuing brain damage. I truly wouldn't wish an experience with Thumbtack on my worst enemy. Opaque pricing, capricious policies + enforcement, and horrendous customer support. It's just a train wreck.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I willingly pay for the contact with the customer, as stated by Thumbtack. They also encourage you to do a "follow up" with the customer if you are not hired. This is to find out WHY YOU DID NOT GET HIRED. What Thumbtack does NOT tell you in the statement advising follow ups, is that it's free UNLESS THE CUSTOMER TELLS YOU WHY YOU WERE NOT HIRED. NOTHING is stated that you will be charged, in the section where they ADVISE you to send a follow up email.

Tech Support CHAT argued for 30 minutes, and when I attempted to call the Tech Support phone number (open until 7 pm PT), they were away from the phone for the next hour and a half (1:00 to 2:30 pm PT). Being unemployed and attempting to make some sort of money on my own, Thumbtack had not qualms about charging the $15 for a Follow Up email, without telling me... or anyone. It's an unacceptable business practice and makes me wonder what else will be a surprise and cost me more money. Advice is to STAY AWAY FROM THUMBTACK! There are competitors that are out there, that I am finding out.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Don't use Thumbtack. Here is why: Their system is flawed. Seems worse than before. Now they charge you after someone responds. So that means when you send a bid and that customer decides not to read your bid and then decide to respond and ask a question that you clearly stated on your quote lol you will be charged!!! It's your fault that the customer didn't read a quote!!! They are also vague in their selections for the jobs the customer wants. I would have to hold my breath bidding because I didn't know if they want my service or another. So basically this scam system they have is a joke. All a person has to do is say Hi after a quote and there goes your money.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Just $75 for one quote on the customer who I cannot even reach. Apparently, Thumbtack only shows half of your quote to the customer and then the customer has to magically figure out to click on the text of your quote to expend to read your full message. And hey BTW if you approx price is not in the first 2 sentences of the quote there is 99.9% chance your customer will have no idea how much you charge and well when you tell him you'll never be able to reach him again... And btw "amazing" customer support totally admitted it was their fault and did absolutely nothing! Never again...

Original review: June 14, 2018

I have been with Thumbtack for about 5 years or more now. At first I was actually getting Client referrals and at a reasonable price. Now, they have raised prices to exorbitant amounts and I question the legitimacy of those Client requests. I find it strange that either the leads do not return calls or that the requests are a lot of the same rare requests in my field. I use to get great leads and actual jobs but now the responses from leads are almost nonexistent. I sometimes wonder if they are legitimate requests. I have spend so much money on this site throughout the years. Things have definitely changed and not for the better. I almost hung it up several times but stuck with them. But, now I feel as if I don't have a choice. I've also lost a lot of money on possible phony requests. I don’t really want to pay $30 for each one either. I am very disappointed with this site and have been for a while now.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Our company and a customer could not agree on a set price so we said, "You're more than welcome to hire someone else". Well after that she hired us to leave a bad review and in her review she was calling us racial names. We told Thumbtack about it. Their response was it was a how she felt dealing with us so they're allowing racial comments in the reviews.

Original review: June 11, 2018

When I started using Thumbtack, it was a fairly reasonably priced site for the small business owners to find local clients searching for their services. The bids were $8-$15 and the prices were shown on the bid requests. You were also only competing against a FEW other providers, once the 3 or five customer contacts were made the request was closed and you could no longer submit a bid.

Then they got greedy and came up with a scam where they only make you pay for the bids where there is customer contact (Thumbtack's definition of "contact" is your message to the customer is viewed by the customer, regardless of whether or not they respond to you). Not only that, their price has been marked up 500%-1000% as well as the cost of the bid now being hidden. I sent a message to 2 different customers that would have normally been $8-$15 each only to discover (once my card had been charged) that those two bids now cost me $65. Of the two customers, I had one asking if I could meet him yesterday and never respond to any more of my emails and the other only viewed my message. Well worth the $65, wouldn't you agree?

I immediately texted Thumbtack to discuss this and was informed of the outrageous increase in bid price at which point I asked them to delete my account. I will NEVER (N E V E R... N. E. V. E. R.) use them again. I'm not telling you what to do, maybe you have unlimited funds and time to bid on unresponsive customers and maybe you enjoy that sort of thing. But if you don't, avoid Thumbtack like the plague because who knows what's next... $400 annual fee on top of the $60 bid price like the other lead services. Great job Marco Zappacosta for letting your greed turn a previously good site into trash like the rest of the lead services.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I am a college student, but I have many marketable skills. I decided to do on Thumbtack to sell my services in a few things, including ACT prep, SAT prep, science tutoring, and jewelry making skills. Not only were most customers just "looking" and not ready to hire, but Thumbtack charged you obscene amounts of money just to talk to them. For two clients looking for help with ACT/SAT prep, they charged me $20 a piece when they were just asking simple questions. I was not hired by anyone through Thumbtack, although I made many efforts to be accommodating to people looking for help.

Every time someone would talk to me, it would be for a question that was easily answerable by my profile, or they would change their mind, effectively screwing me over. Thumbtack didn't wait to take a percentage once you were hired, they have the mentality of "every customer contact is valuable". Not if the customer is just browsing! Or if they don't bother to read your profile before asking questions.

They do not publicize to clients that each contact costs money to the vendors, encouraging "stupid" or uninformed questions to be asked all the time, giving Thumbtack more opportunities to make more money. I even had one client said that they had changed their mind, and then sent out another request for the same thing! This website doesn't encourage people to respect the time of the people selling their services, and by the way they take people's money, they don't respect the independent contractors either. Overall, Thumbtack just took my money, and called it a day, so I have wiped my hands clean of them, and moved on to other ventures, such as Task Rabbit, that at least make sure you get paid before they take a cut!

Original review: June 6, 2018

I’ve been using their service for about a year with mixed results, I still reached the top pro status with only 5 star reviews, but now they’ve changed their lead price (Increase of 300%-1000%!!!) and how you interact with the customers in a way where the only ones making money is them, regardless of what the result is for the professionals. I guess we’ve come to a point where the relationship is not mutually beneficial anymore, I understand they have to make money but how do justify an increase of this magnitude!?

Original review: June 5, 2018

This company was great couple months. They were actually connecting people. But few weeks ago everything changed. Leads used to cost between $ 3 to $15. The highest was $28 but now one lead cost almost $55. This same $55 used to cost $6.95 dollars. In addition to that, they are not telling the customer how much they will charge the card. I spend almost $200.00 already and got nothing in return. Before I used to send 20 quotes and spend $100 but used to get a something in return. I did not care spending $100. I had the option to send 20 quotes. This time I do because two quotes almost reaches the amount I used to spend when sending 20 quotes.

Thumbtack was great but they got greedy. Called customer service asking about recent translations that I have never approved. They stated they are following the law when charging the card. My question is: Customer are suppose to know the amount they are paying at front not after the credit card has been charge. This is totally illegal what they are doing. This site will go down soon. A pro will not pay $55 or $68 for a lead. It is crazy what they are doing. This guys are just wrong. I am sure they have request but I am also sure they are losing pros. They just lose me.

Original review: June 5, 2018

At the beginning of last year, when I decided to open my business, I was very happy with the amount of new clients I acquired on this website. Due to some changes in the site I thought it was time to stop trying to get new clients due to the surprise when I realized the debits made in my account. Only 3 quotations sent and it was there: $ 90.00. Something else: Some of my reviews have been deleted where I lost many jobs for my competition. I will never use this site again.

Original review: June 3, 2018

While opening account, Thumbtack asked for current three customers reviews. When customers wrote their reviews, Thumbtack blocked our account saying fake reviews were being posted. If that's the case then why even give an option while opening account for three past customers reviews.

Original review: June 2, 2018

My experience was slow out of the gate, but then I got the hang of it after investing 100s of dollars. BE CAREFUL because their main obligation is to the reviewing customer NOT the people who pay them fees - they want you money yes, but they know the name of the game is to accumulate reviews so their value goes up. First, it was about competing with 4-5 other bidders and then suddenly they changed the system to "instant match". Good luck in getting any leads. You will spend between $18 and $40 per lead only to find yourself competing with 15 other bidders now.

If my calculation is correct, that is between $300 and $600 revenue to them per lead!!! Wow, are we in the wrong business? LOL - Do not let them sucker you into this trap unless they change the model and go back to fairness. It’s ok to build a company and make it a success, but don't take a little business away from the hardworking vendors who make your company work Thumbtack. Pure greed.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I really loved Thumbtack for two years. Got so much business and experience. I no longer am using it though because of the dreaded changes. When Instant Match was launched, I declined to use it because I prefer to only bid on jobs that I want to bid on. (I’m a caterer and I like large corporate events, as opposed to small house parties.) But I noticed that when I manually quote jobs, I’m just not getting hired anymore as of about May 2018. Which is weird because I have great reviews, a great website, and competitive rates.

Well I tested Thumbtack as a customer to see what happens with Instant Match. Basically, the customer automatically gets their quotes but instead of 5, I was about 7. Then about 20 minutes later, as a pro, I received the same quote request. Why would the customer look at 5 more quotes that come 20 minutes later if they already got 7 automatically? Plus, the odds are now against the pro that they’re hired. 12 quotes is too many to compete against. Thumbtack has to work well for the pro or else pros won’t do business with them. The way they're operating now is great for Thumbtack (12 quotes for every request = lots of money) but pros will not continue spending money if they’re not getting hired.

Funny story for you: Last year, I catered an event for a tech company in NYC. I spoke to the CEO of the company who asked me how I got hired to work for them. (One of his employees hired me, not him). I told him Thumbtack. He asked me how it’s working for me. I said, "GREAT! I love Thumbtack!" He told me, “That’s good for you. My investors are the same as Thumbtack’s. And they are making a KILLING.” I thought nothing of that. If a company is doing great, and I’m doing great, that’s perfect. Everyone’s happy. Now, since Thumbtack has gotten insanely greedy, and the pros aren’t happy, something’s gotta give. Bye Felisha! Er, Thumbtack.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I have just learned so much from reading all these reviews, it seems we all got on this roller coaster ride about the same time 3 years ago. I too have been with Thumbtack for 3 years and it did help my business grow and got our name out there. We both made money from our relationship, but then like all the other reviews say things started changing. I even noticed unauthorized charges from them as well. We are a 5 star company awarded top pro 3 years running with over 135-5 star reviews. Thumbtack was so impressed with us they had a new Top Pro advantage promotion. I was contacted about on 5/29 then I woke on 5/30 to find my account with Thumbtack was deactivated. My 3 years of success gone. Our 135-5 stars reviews gone and a lot of hard work erased and when I contact them they told me they owed me no explanation and that they had decided to end our business together and I say **!

I might be wrong about this and I will be contacting my attorney. They stole 135 reviews from me as far as I'm concerned. I bought and paid for my leads and my family busted our ** to earn our reputation and those reviews. We built relationships with our customers answered every single review personally and to overnight have someone wipe out everything. Something has to be done about this company. It's hard enough to survive as a small business but with people like this it makes it much worse. Thinking back I started questioning my multiple charges and credits about a month ago. Had to call several times for explanations that never made sense. Actually maybe all of us should look into our bank statements and do some investigating.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I’ve been a Thumbtack pro for over 3 years, and have loved using this site. Over the years pricing methods have changed, costs have reasonably increased, all until now. It’s literal robbery, what used to cost 3-5 dollars a quote has jumped to $50. Now, they’ll tell you some BS, about how you get to send “free quotes”. When truly it’s a charade of what’s really going on, which is upping their price 1000%. When I called support to discuss my issue, I was told “maybe you should try charging more”, which shows how little they care about their customers, as well as how little respect they hold for their pros. It’s very disappointing, this site started to help the little man, to give an edge for the self-made self-employed businesses. But like most corporations they have turned to the greedy, money hungry state of mind we have become far too use to. No Thumbtack, just because your solution is to charge more, it won’t be mine.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Now in my 5th year of Thumbtack, I believe they have reached a point where the PRO is no longer an important part of the matrix. Now that I have been hooked in- over 60 hires and multiple reviews- they believe they can manipulate you into anything. Even spending your money without our consent. Yep! An all time low for them! Wrapped up in the "set your own budget" is "we will charge your credit card without your authorization." I am not sure how they can get away with this. But they are for now.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I have been using Thumbtack for almost 3 years now. I enjoyed the pricing they had because it helped small business like mine grow and becoming very well known. I was always in control of the amount of money that I spent and I could always stay on budget. Recently they changed their bidding guidelines to where you could bid without being charged unless the customer contacted you. I figured that was going to be a very good move to Thumbtack as well as the pros out here.

However I was wrong. Thumbtack has not disclosed what each job will cost if and when a client contacts a pro. In the last two days I have had two potential clients contact me through Thumbtack with one costing me $50.37 for the bid and another one $46.32 for that bid. I was not aware of the charge that they were going to put on my card. I use to spend $100.00 every two weeks, but now I could spend 500.00 to 800.00 a month if I do not watch it. I am not sure what Thumbtack is trying to accomplish like this. They have upset many of the long standing professionals that use their services. I hope other businesses take notice of the poor tactics Thumbtack is using currently to hard working small business owners.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I joined Thumbtack a couple of years ago as a customer because I needed pictures done. I had a great experience as a customer because it got me in touch with a professional that was good at their craft and provided what I needed. Years later as an aspiring cinematographer, I decided to use Thumbtack as a professional to build up clientele as well as my reel. Since I had a great experience as a customer, I didn't expect such a shady service as a professional.

I did not read previous reviews before signing up and submitting quotes, although I probably should have to avoid this frustration I am currently feeling. I read through their policies and set-up - I set a "weekly budget" and I can submit quotes for free. I only have to pay for when a customer responds to a quote. This seemed fine at first until my first quote I submitted to a "potential" client cost me nearly $20 (after setting a budget of $50) that was IMMEDIATELY withdrawn from my checking account! Then the client said she was on there searching for her future daughter-in-law and that she would pass along my information. I immediately contacted Thumbtack and asked for a refund. Their response, "We only refund in the form of credit." I was perplexed by this statement but I thought, ok because I didn't know any better.

A week later I submitted another quote to a client. Their project intrigued me so I thought "why not?" The client responded and was fairly responsive, however, I knew something should have been up when in my initial quote I submitted my personal number and email for the client to contact me (hoping they would so I could avoid being charged again). That was not the case - the client responded to my quote, thus Thumbtack charged me almost $40 (BUT $18 of it was "credited" to my account because of the previous situation) so out of my account goes $22. An hour later the client says his wife didn't like the idea and then proceeded to cancel his project.

Again, I contacted Thumbtack support via chat (cause their phone line was ridiculously busy, of course) and the robot on the other end just submitted standard automated sounding responses such as "sorry for your blah, blah, blah" and "we do not provide refunds except as credit" then sent me links to their Policy guide. I continued to ask for a refund and point out the fact that their business practice made no sense. How is they are able to withdraw money from my account but can't refund the money back into my account, especially when the client cancels! It's not my fault the "client" changed their mind. They then told me "when a customer responds to your quote, it's your job to lose."

Thanks to their "statistics" I could see that the client did not contact any other person that submitted a quote, unless it was auto-generated to create the appearance they received other bids, which I am beginning to believe more and more (especially after reading so many similar reviews) that they have created the perfect scam. Imagine thousands of professionals joining, submitting quotes daily and having "clients" respond. Each professional is charged X amount of dollars just to "talk" to a "client." Then the "client" cancels the job or tell the professional "thanks but no thanks." That's a WHOLE lot of money being taken away from people! Prior to writing this review, I ultimately decided to deactivate my account. It was a futile test on my part to try and gain clients. I guess I will stick to word of mouth and posting to my social media to try and gain clients.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Hello to all you pros out there who have been taken for a ride with Thumbtack. I have been scammed and now throttled. I have been billed at will with no explanation and decided to hire a law firm to file a class-action lawsuit. I have to go out of business now after only 1.5 years in business because I put all my "Eggs in One Basket" with this joke of a company Thumbtack!!! Let's turn up the heat on this unscrupulous and fleecing company people!! My name is William "Trey" ** and we need more pros to join the lawsuit!!

If you would like to join the lawsuit email my company admin email at: **. www.copythatcolorado.com is my website. I am a combat veteran with three tours of duty and I am not one who takes a beating without some recourse. Legally in this case surely. I am a fighter for one's rights especially when it comes to small businesses who just want a piece of the pie like myself. Let's stand up to Thumbtack and be compensated and maybe, just maybe, we can start anew again with our small businesses.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Thumbtack used to be pretty good. You could buy credits and send quotes to potential customers. It was kind of a shotgun approach in that you had to send quite a few to get any replies but it did actually work. When I compared how much I spent to how much I actually made, it was worth doing. Then they raised their prices quite a bit but it was still ok if you were careful. Now they don't allow that and charge when a potential customer wants to contact the pro. The problem with that is the prices. I don't know where or how they decided what a job is worth but it is totally ridiculous.

I had a woman ask if I was available on her date and they wanted over $20 just to answer. Are you kidding? I do not like what they have done and will no longer use this website. I decide how my money is spent. Not them. After reading what I wrote, I decided that while true, it doesn't convey my outrage at them. I want to be civil but they really stink and do not back you up at all. All they want is your money. I DO NOT recommend them for anything!

Original review: May 23, 2018

I signed up for this service thinking it would give me more leads, well the only way you get any leads is you have to pay a minimum of $65 per week. This really sucks because you pay them and if you don’t get any replies to your submissions they still charge your credit card every Monday. Not a good service at all. My advice run away as fast as you can. I asked a question of them about this after I sent a request for more information from someone who wanted work done and a week went by and I wanted to cancel my credit card. The only way I could end this was to deactivate my account, this is just a big ripoff.

Thumbtack expert review by Joseph Truini

Thumbtack is a website that connects homeowners with service providers in their local area. This online company offers more than 200,000 active professionals available in all 50 U.S. states.

• Customized quotes: Homeowners can provide specific information about services they need and receive customized quotes from a range of professionals.

• Customer reviews: The site compiles customer reviews so you know you’re hiring someone who’s experienced, trusted and reputable.

• Fast hiring: Customers can hire a bath-remodeling professional with the click of a button once they have received quotes. Simply type into the search box what you need—bath remodel, bath tiling, bath vent fan installation, etc.—then follow a few simple prompts to receive a list of local contractors.

• Photos and videos: Service providers offer videos and photographs of their past projects so customers can see the workmanship firsthand.

• Messaging options: Thumbtack offers customers and professionals several communication options, including online messaging and direct phone communication to arrange the details of a project.

• Best for: Thumbtack is best for people who need help finding professionals for an affordable bath-remodeling project.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Thumbtack Company Information