3.7/5 (763 ratings)
Find a Home Improvement Contractors partner

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Thumbtack

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Thumbtack Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

Original review: May 5, 2022

I hire OC Best Cleaning Services through Thumbtack. It was for move-out service. Paid them a deposit of $70 (a stupid move) and never heard from them again. This is Fraud. Stay away from this company and Thumbtack.

Original review: May 5, 2022

I spent 2 years creating a top pro account with 389 reviews at 4.9 star rating. I responded to customers within moments and earned all the Top Pro badges. I even got emails about being a "neighborhood favorite". Without warning, I was banned from the platform because an ex-employee created an account then was kicked off. They then banned my account because they said we had a "strong association". I sent all the documents I possibly could to prove that I had terminated the employee last year but they told me they would never reconsider their decision. They left my customers in the lurch and even kept my unspent budget money. I can also say that over the course of my time with them, the lead prices kept rising and they would rarely ever refund you no matter the situation. Do not set up to be a pro on Thumbtack, you might do everything right and they still will steal from you and abandon you.

Get buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 5, 2022

Those contractors Thumbtack recommends to its customers don't have any license, or their licenses have been revoked. There were five contractors came to give me an estimate, and none of them have a license. Thumbtack claims it check their background, but how come it has never checked their licenses? I know in Arizona requires a concrete contractor to have a license.

Original review: May 3, 2022

At one time Thumbtack was a good service to use. As a DJ/karaoke host I booked many parties through Thumbtack however, in recent years Thumbtack has changed its prices & policies charging much more for leads averaging $45 and up for a lead, many of which are bogus with no phone numbers to follow up. Plus there is no guarantee that you land the job but yet Thumbtack still charges you the fee if the customer responds in any fashion. This means that if 5 DJs provide a quote and the customer responds to all 5, Thumbtack will charge all 5 DJs a large fee. This is not fair. I don't mind paying a booking fee if I land the job. Now they took me out of the search function unless I set up a budget to spend with them so that they can take money from me any time they want. I've stopped using their service. There's too many other booking services online that provide me with booking leads for much less money. Scam! Stay away!

Original review: May 2, 2022

I wanted my steps demo and new ones installed. Eagle King Construction bought the wrong materials to do job and didn't have the right tools to do job. Thumbtack said they don't check or verify any Information Pros put on the site. I have no way to get in my front door, rubble on my sidewalk. French doors trim all chipped. Elizabeth from Thumbtack said the damage doesn't fall under the guidelines. Eagle King Construction not bring correct materials to do the job. Elizabeth said I should have know what materials are needed and tools to do job.

Original review: April 26, 2022

When disputing charges they never reply and just continue to hit your account and charge you. No way to communicate with this company at all. Their leads are bogus, tons of price hunters and just do it yourselfers that want work dirt cheap.

Original review: April 25, 2022

I booked a bi-weekly housekeeping service on Thumbtack, after reviewing the candidates that Thumbtack provided. The cost was $109, which Thumbtack took out immediately. We received an email and a text, confirming the housekeeper for Friday, April 22, 2022 at 10:00 a.m. I stayed home from work to meet the housekeeper, since it was her first time. The housekeeper didn't call, didn't show, didn't text - no communication at all. I contacted Thumbtack immediately and was told that they were simply a 'leads-selling' business, and that they were keeping the money to apply to my Thumbtack account, because although the lead was no good, they did in fact, provide the lead. This is not the service that Thumbtack advertises. I paid for a service, the service was not performed, and even worse, there was no notification that the service was not going to be performed

The housekeeper did get back with me three days later, apologizing, but confirmed that Thumbtack kept the money, not her. I have used other services such as Angie's list and had great experiences. I will never use Thumbtack again, which means that I will not be able to recoup the $109. I am reporting them to Consumer Affairs, the Better Business Bureau, and providing this review to as many customer review websites as possible. WORD OF CAUTION - DO NOT USE THUMBTACK. They are thieves.

Original review: April 25, 2022

I have been a loyal customer of Thumbtack’s since 2016. I used them to get leads for my photo booth and photographer business. They have changed their business model several times over the years always increasing the charge for leads. Still, I stayed. Last week, my account was deactivated for “violation of terms of service”. What? I’m a top Pro and have the badge on my profile several times over. I spent lots of money with them. I am popular and have rave reviews. Deactivated. I ask them exactly what I could have possibly violated. They answer “if we told you that, it would warrant getting around the violation.” Huh? Don’t you want your customers to be in compliance? Don’t you want your loyal ones to continue offering a solid service to the people who come looking for a pro? No answer. I’m just dropped like that. No real explanation, no care for the impact on me and my business, no chance to correct whatever it was I did wrong.

The TOS are vague and easily used for any reason to drop a Pro. I read every word and still have no clue what I did to render such a harsh action. Don’t use them if you’re looking for security in steady leads. They will compliment you with a badge and some laughable “reward” program but then drop you for whatever reason they like. I had over 60 5 star reviews built up over the years and now they’re just gone. My hard work, gone. It is bad bad business. Do not trust Thumbtack to be loyal to you.

Original review: April 17, 2022

My son hired a So-called license plumber from Thumbtack who came out to hook up his water softener!! The guy tightened everything so tight it blew holes through the pipes and burst everything in the tank and cause damage to the whole inside of the house and garage with water damage. My son reached out to the guy and He then canceled his Account and also his phone number so we couldn’t go after him and thumbtack said they would get all his information for my son which they never did!!! They are exactly not a trustworthy company or Site to go to so do not Trust or use thumbtack at all. They are bunch of crooks and the people are not licensed…. They said we are a third-party…they said that They are not responsible for people on their sites, jobs and work.

Original review: April 15, 2022

I hired a ‘pro’ to paint my cabinets. 6 months later I’m still begging for my doors. Everything from COVID to a cough was an excuse. Thumbtack offered $100 after previously offering $1K and told me that I was on my own. I hate this company and hope they lose everything. I used this company because I’m a single woman and these dudes love to take advantage. Thumbtack made it that much easier

Thumbtack author review by Joseph Truini

Thumbtack is a website that connects homeowners with service providers in their local area. This online company offers more than 200,000 active professionals available in all 50 U.S. states.

• Customized quotes: Homeowners can provide specific information about services they need and receive customized quotes from a range of professionals.

• Customer reviews: The site compiles customer reviews so you know you’re hiring someone who’s experienced, trusted and reputable.

• Fast hiring: Customers can hire a bath-remodeling professional with the click of a button once they have received quotes. Simply type into the search box what you need—bath remodel, bath tiling, bath vent fan installation, etc.—then follow a few simple prompts to receive a list of local contractors.

• Photos and videos: Service providers offer videos and photographs of their past projects so customers can see the workmanship firsthand.

• Messaging options: Thumbtack offers customers and professionals several communication options, including online messaging and direct phone communication to arrange the details of a project.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Advisor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Thumbtack Company Information