Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.08/5

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Thumbtack Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

Original review: April 2, 2021

As a top pro for two years in a row, Thumbtack drastically increased their prices for leads, this is not the first time a customer stops responding and I get stuck with the Thumbtack lead charge. I got charged 125.00 for a lead that the customer stop responding, Small business cannot afford to pay that large amount for leads and then leave a chance for customers to leave a review when you're not even hired. I'm leaving this service for good. After 5 years of working with Thumbtack, this is my last straw.

Thumbtack response

We truly appreciate all the hard work you've put into your business throughout the past 5 years as a Top Pro on Thumbtack, Fernando. We know that every dollar counts and we're always open to feedback on pricing as the market is consistently evolving. Please feel free to send us a private message via social media and we can look into any concerns about a lead you've received and take in any other feedback you may have to offer. We hope to hear from you soon.

Original review: April 1, 2021

I hired 2 fellows from Just Junk It to unload 2 pods. The PODS arrived Friday from MO and the unloaders were scheduled to arrive at 11a Saturday. I got concerned when I heard nothing from them earlier that morning, but with the good reviews I read before hiring through Thumbtack, I wasn't too concerned. By 11:15a I began texting Just Junk It through Thumbtack with no reply. There was no way to phone anyone. By noon I gave up on them. I am 74 yrs old, new to town and only had my daughter and son-in-law to help with all the heavy objects. I called around the area for help but no one was available on a Saturday, or even on Sunday to help. It was so unprofessional to leave me in the lurch like that. I'm sure you can imagine my anger. There can be no reason why they would have done this to anyone! Very sad.

Thumbtack response

Carol, we know how frustrating it can be when a service provider doesn't show up for a job. We want to be sure we're connecting you with pros you can rely on to get the job done and we take concerns like this very seriously. We ask that you report the matter to our Trust and Safety team at https://help.thumbtack.com/report-a-concern so we can look into this further. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us via one of our social media channels.

Get buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 30, 2021

I'm so baffled by the cost of leads, "PLEASE TURN ON TARGETING." If I don't, they block my profile so customers can't see me. Then they force you to set a minimum weekly budget of $125 where people inquire about jobs but never respond. I'm out over $300 dollars all to credited back to my Thumbtack account in a matter of three days. I've been a member for 4 years but this last lead pushed me over the edge. Credited back my "thumbtack" account is bogus and a scam; but they won't put the money back in my bank account. This happened three times in one day and each time this happens makes me want to delete my account forever... but this time I did. I will be disputing these recent charges with my bank because of fraudulent misrepresentation.

Thumbtack response

Anthony, we know that every dollar counts and we want to help you see a great return on your investment. Targeting helps us to connect you with the jobs that fit your services best. We're always happy to look into any concerns about a lead, but our refund policy does state that we'll only be able to refund it to your Thumbtack balance to use towards future leads. We welcome you to contact us over social media and we can work to address any concerns you may have. We hope to hear from you soon.

Original review: March 26, 2021

I booked a locksmith from this app. The guy that came was rude and did not know the trade. The invoice he left me has no address and phone number. I have emailed Thumbtack several times and they do not respond. Complete ignored.

Thumbtack response

Nasser, we take concerns like this very seriously and we'd like to look into this further. You can always report any issues with a project to us directly at https://help.thumbtack.com/report-a-concern and one of our Trust and Safety team members will contact you. We're sorry for the delay you've experienced hearing back from our team. Feel free to reach out to us over social media anytime you have a concern and we'll jump right in with you.

Original review: March 25, 2021

They love to stealing money out of small business owners' pockets especially if you didn't get hired by the clients. They changed their policy so they didn't have to pay all of these businesses & companies back the money that they owed out. They told me that all we can give your business is $45. When they owed my business around $284 for not getting hired by their clients. They told me, I was wrong when they never send out any updates about the changing policies. In my eyes, they are thieves and customers are always right. That's how you keep people by commenting.

Thumbtack response

We're sorry for any confusion you've felt in our policies. You can always find our refund policy at https://help.thumbtack.com/article/refunds. We know it can be frustrating when you feel you're not seeing the success you'd like to be. Our team is dedicated to helping you see the value that Thumbtack can bring your business. Please feel free to reach out to our team via social media in a private message and we'll dive in with you to see how we can help.

Original review: March 23, 2021

We have been working with Thumbtack for a while and know not everything is always perfect in this line of business nowadays and just received our first complaint in years. Not only did thumbtack allow this client to slander our business but me as a person as well. Working with thumbtack we have learned that they do nothing to protect the pros even when providing documentation (FACTS) such as photos of on the spot job, a signed estimate sheet, witnesses, a copy of cease and desist letter sent to the client causing the complaint, and a video of belligerence of the client (rated X for language); Meanwhile stopping other clients from receiving services requested as well and preventing your business to continue with other clients that have nothing to do with the complaint causing you to lose money. 1 COMPLAINT.

With this said we still wanted to try and understand their policies to make things right and even though we have hired them for services (which makes me a client as well), we can easily discontinue their services but was under the false pretenses they could clearly see what the status was regarding this complaint and was wishing to move forward. Finding out we were wrong. It's about the principle. Very disheartening to know we will have to part ways. Please don't comment below you're sorry to hear this and want us to contact you to resolve this because we have documentation (facts) to show we have tried. We appreciate your business but I don't want to be connected with a company that don't have morals and principles.

Thumbtack response

We take matters like this very seriously and we know there are always two sides to every story. We want to be sure that you're voice has been heard and if you haven't already, we'd suggest reporting this to our Trust and Safety team directly at https://help.thumbtack.com/report-a-concern or respond to any emails you may have received from them about the complaint. You can also reach out to us over social media in a private message. We hope to hear from you soon and work to resolve your concerns.

Original review: March 23, 2021

I signed up with them and I was told several different things. Their prices are ridiculous. They Constantly offer you jobs, when you try to grab them they’re never there only if you give them more money. I deactivated my account and now they harass me every day to click on something. I’ve asked them so many times and I am deactivated to stop harassing me that I might have to file an actual harassment suit. They bother me morning noon and night. I promise you’ll regret it!

Thumbtack response

Lisa, we're sorry to hear if you ever felt any confusion while using Thumbtack. We'd be happy to take some time to help clarify any concerns you may have and work to help you see the value Thumbtack can bring. We want to help you get the jobs you'll always want to accept and your Targeting preferences can help us to do that. We can also work to update your notifications or unsubscribe if needed. Head to https://help.thumbtack.com/article/unsubscribe if you need more info on how to unsubscribe.

Original review: March 18, 2021

Thumbtack basically just steals money from good ethical business people. Not just money but they steal our time too responding to tens of people every month and we end up paying high fees every week even though we provide competitive quotes. They should allow customers to get quotes from 1 service provider. More Than 1 they should be paying the fee. I would be happy to pay that fee to Thumbtack if I get the job. I am a top pro with over 61 -5 star reviews and I am removing my profile from this unethical business platform. They should be reported to Better Business Bureau and FTC for their unethical scamming business practice!

Thumbtack response

Keit, we know it can be frustrating when you feel you're not seeing the success you'd like to be. When you use Thumbtack, you pay for leads. While we may not be able to guarantee that you'll win every job, we can help you to see a great return. We want to make your time and investment worthwhile and we'd be happy to take some time to see how we can help you. Feel free to reach out to us over one of our social media channels and we'll see what we can do for you.

Original review: March 13, 2021

Thumbtack is the worse. The people using that site are all clueless and just want cheap illegal work. The prices they charge for leads are outrages. They also make it hard for the homeowners to really tell you what they want and if the homeowner cancels their project, they won't return your $. Sometimes they give you a credit, other times they don't, even though they have sold that same lead to 5 other contractors as well. They will also charge your credit card even after closing your account. I was charged over $300, thankfully the bank reversed the charges. Complete waste of time. Townsquare or 411 Leads is way better, as you only pay a monthly service, no matter how many people call you.

Thumbtack response

We want to be sure we partner with pros to get the most out of their investment with Thumbtack. If you ever have any questions about a lead or a payment, our team is happy to look into it further with you to resolve any concerns you may have. We also value your feedback and welcome you to share your thoughts with us more fully so we can work to better support you in the future. Please feel free to reach out to us over one of our social media channels and we'll see how we can best help you.

Original review: March 12, 2021

Small Business Owners: Trust me. Put all efforts into your own website, Google Business and dare I say, Yelp. But don’t pay Yelp, that’s a deal with the devil as well. Anyway back to Thumbtack. Used to be great, bogus leads would be refunded, customer service was decent. But now like HomeAdvisor and Angie’s List it’s a worthless scam. You might as well throw money in the trash can. The leads are half non responsive, half window shopping for the lowest possible price. What has happened is the internet has expanded and now Thumbtack has so much competition it’s grasping for straws to stay relevant and afloat. You’re much better off putting all time, money and effort into your own website and Google Ads.

Thumbtack response

We're sad to hear that you feel you've started to see less success on our platform. We want to be sure we're providing the best care and have pros' backs when they do their part. This is one reason we've started our Price Assurance (https://help.thumbtack.com/article/price-assurance-terms2). We'd love a chance to dive in and see how we can help you continue to get the most out of Thumbtack. Reach out to us over social media and we'll see what we can do for you.

Thumbtack author review by Joseph Truini

Thumbtack is a website that connects homeowners with service providers in their local area. This online company offers more than 200,000 active professionals available in all 50 U.S. states.

• Customized quotes: Homeowners can provide specific information about services they need and receive customized quotes from a range of professionals.

• Customer reviews: The site compiles customer reviews so you know you’re hiring someone who’s experienced, trusted and reputable.

• Fast hiring: Customers can hire a bath-remodeling professional with the click of a button once they have received quotes. Simply type into the search box what you need—bath remodel, bath tiling, bath vent fan installation, etc.—then follow a few simple prompts to receive a list of local contractors.

• Photos and videos: Service providers offer videos and photographs of their past projects so customers can see the workmanship firsthand.

• Messaging options: Thumbtack offers customers and professionals several communication options, including online messaging and direct phone communication to arrange the details of a project.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Thumbtack Company Information