Thumbtack

Thumbtack Reviews

About Thumbtack

Thumbtack is a platform that connects you with a variety of home care professionals, including for home projects, lawn and landscaping, massages, dog training and a variety of other services. Thumbtack helps you compare options, read reviews and see pricing. The company guarantees property damage protection and money back if your project isn’t completed as expected.

Thumbtack Reviews

Stars Rating

• 4%
  • 0%
  • 0%
  • 2%
  • 94%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

Reviewed March 2, 2024

In fall of 2023 I hired a cement worker through Thumbtack to replace 2 driveways and two sidewalks, knowing that permits would need to be pulled for the sidewalks. The contractor estimated it may be an additional $700 for permits. We prepaid for the driveway job, and upon completion we paid the remaining balance plus $1,641.00 prepayment toward sidewalk materials for the next project. When the contractor came back from the city permit office, he told us he was raising his price by $10,999.00 for permits. Since hiring the city costs less than that, we declined and asked for our deposit back. The contractor told us he was keeping our money because "we had a deal" and we were not allowing him to complete the sidewalks (for an additional $11 grand). Then he told us he was leaving to Mexico and would return the money in January (he didn't).

We tried to file a complaint with Thumbtack, but were told that this was a "price disagreement", and Thumbtack would not pursue it. We have the original estimate and a recording of the contractor verifying the payments made to him in cash and the dates they were made. It's not worth the money to get a lawyer to get my money back, and I'm upset because Thumbtack guarantees that this won't happen, but used the loophole that since we wouldn't pay an extra $11,000 for permits, it was his right to steal $1,641 paid towards a job that was never done.

Reviewed March 1, 2024

2/21/24 Bam Bam Remodeling. Promised to finish tiny little bathroom flooring and floor insulation, and drywall. Approx 40 sq ft. They only put in barely 1/2 of the insulation, not even 1/2 of the flooring, and zero drywall which was only 4 small pieces in this tiny bathroom. THIS WAS THE ENTIRE JOB. Holes in the floor were busted out with a hammer instead of using a hole saw. Boards were cut too short and they were putting in tiny pieces to fill in the gaps instead of cutting the flooring in normal complete pieces. Flooring pieces cut to where pieces were fitting too tight and would not allow expansion. They had no intention of using subfloor adhesive and that is what subfloor adhesive is made for. Corner 2x4s cut too short to even reach the floor. Flooring cut too short to even reach beams to attach to and were bowing when stepped on. Insulation that was barely put in completely fell to the ground in basement.

Absolutely zero drywall put up even after being told some pieces were already cut and ready to just put up. All of this left in this condition when they quit job. All of this in 5 hours they were here. THESE WERE THE ONLY THINGS NEEDED FOR THIS JOB AND THEY COULD NOT EVEN DO ANY OF IT. They refuse to do anything to resolve all of these problems or refund my money for their absolute do nothing incompetence. Significant waste of materials. Significant damage to my property. Using my tools instead of their own tools. The most incompetent excuse of handyman service in history. They owe me $400 + Wasted materials + damage to my property.

Reviewed March 1, 2024

I tried to use this service. First they charge you a lot just for a lead regardless if you get the job or not. And they send this lead to many others so possibly is very slim. Even if the potential client did not respond they will charge you since they have your info and credit card. Even if you complain they will never refund you anything. They will just drain your money and credit card. They are not reachable by phone and the phone listed will cut off. Chat customer service will act nicely but you will not get anything from them. Just will waste your time. Even I put my account freeze on block as not available they still send me referrals and charges.

And they Said, "We will not return any money." They are masters in cleaning your money out without giving you anything. Be extremely careful. I will try to report them to consumer reports or government agencies. Stay away from them and please do too.

Reviewed Feb. 28, 2024

I am the owner of a contracting company that has been with Thumbtack for ten years, and just recently noticed that license is being shown as not verified. Thumbtack has my license, I have shown them we appear immediately on DPOR as a licensed contractor, and I have uploaded my license twice for them. I was also told that the name on our Thumbtack account doesn't match the name on the license. This is pure laziness on Thumbtack's part. Had they bothered to actually look at the license they would have seen that my business's principal is shown on line one, which is immediately followed by my business's dba. The dba matches the name of our Thumbtack account. Furthermore, the email that was sent me stating this is from a donotreply email, so I have no way of emailing them back. When calling in it's Thumbtack policy that I cannot speak with the verification team.

I have to speak with a low level agent, who is "apparently" is also not allowed to speak with the verification team. They can only pass along messages. How can they possibly fine this efficient? At any rate, the license is still showing as not verified. I was told that the team that handles license verification should need no more than 1-2 business to verify the documentation I provided. It's now been five days! All the while potential clients are seeing my business as not a verified contractor, and I might be losing out on jobs. However, Thumbtack has no issue with me billing for leads. Thumbtack is a very poorly ran company!

Customer ServiceContract & TermsPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Feb. 26, 2024

I hired an interior house painter whose information was posted on Thumbtack. The painter turned out to be one of the worst contractors I ever hired. Despite his assurances and his contract, he botched the painting and spackling job for which he was hired. I wrote a review on Thumbtack giving the "pro" a low score, which caught the attention of Thumbtack's Trust and Safety Team who promised me a phone interview and a resolution which included a partial refund. I waited 3 days and had 3 different phone appointments scheduled and I never heard from them. I was stunned that such a popular pro app was so deceitful, unprofessional, and misleading! I'll never go to their site again.

Reviewed Feb. 25, 2024

Thumbtack is a scam. As a contractor, you can write your own reviews. They charge so much per lead, there is no way to verify if the lead is real or not. You just sort of pray that the understanding is there, that they could be held liable for scamming people. Our profile has been up for years, we initially had some success but relied on Thumbtack only when work was slow otherwise. 5 Star reviews Profile, I was giving leads $20 service quotes, 0 contact back from "leads."

Customer ServiceContract & TermsStaff

Reviewed Feb. 20, 2024

As a consumer, horrible experience, also hearing the same feedback from the biz owner. I provided the 'top pro' with a pic of the work, '1' single pole light switch replacement - I provided the material, new switch and plate = all labor job. His advertised rate was $50/hr. He accepted the work, no estimate or contract, scheduled and completed the job and as expected, finished in ~30 minutes. He then messaged me and said, "Ok, the bill is $120"?! He proceeded to tell me that I'm stealing because I would not pay 2.4x higher than his advertised rate. False and deceptive advertising is illegal on a state and federal level. He admitted the work was only labor, but cried about Thumbtack fees and how long it took to get to the job - how is this my problem??

After waiting nearly 3 weeks to talk to a human to address this disparity, Thumbtack support totally passed the buck and said, "Hey, not our problem;" yet they facilitate the advertisement of rates that are entirely misleading. I paid the 'pro' his hourly rate and the Thumbtack fee they hit him with, $70 in total. In turn, the 'pro' responded to me and accused me of stealing because I refused to pay $120...? Avoid frustration and avoid this platform, total joke.

Reviewed Feb. 15, 2024

I understand getting charged for leads, even if I don’t land the job. That’s fine. That make sense. However when a customer clearly cancels the booking, and Thumbtack can see that they canceled without me ever getting a chance to bid the job or even talk about the job with the customer and they still won't refund me. I am the highest level pro on their platform (Platinum) yet they still won't give me a refund. They only want to charge as many people as they can for the leads. You will get lots of FAKE UNQUALIFIED LEADS and not a single refund, because they do not care about your success as a contractor. They only care about how much money they can get out of 1 lead real or not. IT'S A SCAM JUST LIKE HOME ADVISOR AND HOME ADVISOR GOT A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. I bet they get one here soon also. They are horrible. RUN AWAY!!!!

Reviewed Feb. 13, 2024

I'm writing to share my experience with www.thumbtack.com as a business owner. While they originally delivered qualified leads with good conversion rates, things have changed significantly in the past two years. Currently, I receive one qualified lead per month versus four "doubtful" leads who don't engage (read messages, answer calls, etc.). Despite these low-quality leads, I'm charged between $28 and $98 each.

Thumbtack's policy towards professionals has become unfair. The "zero refund" policy for these unproductive leads makes it a gamble, and achieving high visibility requires allowing them to charge you hefty per-lead fees. If you refuse, you're buried with no leads. As a small business, I spend $800 monthly on Thumbtack, but my conversion rate has plummeted from 80% to a mere 20% in two years. While I still receive a few good leads, it's a significant financial burden.

Given my membership-based service model, I can absorb this cost. However, I urge businesses without similarly resilient models to stay clear of Thumbtack. Their current practices could leave you financially strapped before you even turn a profit. In short, unless your business allows you to weather these questionable leads and high costs, avoid Thumbtack.

Reviewed Feb. 2, 2024

This company, like most, are completely useless at generating decent leads for businesses and they don't even care that most of their leads are useless. I get more leads from a $5 on Craigslist than I get from spending hundreds on Thumbtack. I stuck around long enough to get one single legit job where I made a few hundred dollars. One other bid I at least made contact with a live person. That's it in over a year. One man wasn't even interested in getting work done, two never returned calls or contacts to even bid and one wasn't even in an area I service.

And they make hundreds of dollars off of this. No matter if the customer is even remotely interested. No matter if it's not even in an area you serve. Not even if the customer flat out tells you they had no intention of hiring anyone. Seriously just save the money and for $100 pay someone to put door hangers out. I absolutely guarantee you get a way better response than these jokers.

Reviewed Jan. 30, 2024

I have now had to pay for a lead that was by Thumbtack's definition fraudulent. The sales lead was trying to sell the very service I offered and was fishing for prices. I didn't realize this initially and when I did try to clarify this Thumbtack denied my refund even after the customer support person admitted that it should have been a valid reason to have the lead refunded.

Reviewed Jan. 19, 2024

I don't know how some of your businesses are doing but I'm one man who does this as a side job and at $100 for a painting job that I may not get I can't afford to bid on too many of those. Not to mention they charge everybody who the customer responds to that same $100 regardless of who actually gets the job or hired from the customer so be prepared to Shell out $100 even if you don't get to do the job. $70 for a water heater. I can't even bid on work that I'm qualified to do because two or three of those that I don't get and I'm out two or three hundred bucks. There's better options out there not to mention I've dealt with their customer service and they're shady con artists at best... It's garbage.. Beware.

Reviewed Jan. 10, 2024

Thumbtack stole my money for "leads" without my permission and I got no jobs. When I contacted them, they refused to respond after multiple attempts. Totally a scam. Don't give them your information or you'll regret it.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed Jan. 8, 2024

I should check this website before and ask clearly. The sales person was not honest at all. Each fake or low-quality leads without phone and emails charge you $65-80+ /each. Even when one lead cancels the project, this company will still charge you. When you call them, they will say they can't refund unless the charge is within 30 days. Also, the refund is not a true refund back to your credit card but only some website credit because they want to continue to pay. You need to close your targeting service. Only after I found it useless, I call and realize that they could potentially charge me $420/week for this type of low-quality lead. Also, their customer service is to try to "delay" and I was told their manager will email me in 24-48 hours and resolve this.

Reviewed Dec. 6, 2023

Shameful prices. Poor customer service. Difficult experience for the customer and professionals. Service ruined since allowing instant booking, charging high prices that most of the time lead to nothing.

Reviewed Nov. 26, 2023

They have very strict Refund Policy and they make the Pro pay fees for Jobs that make no money. Many times you will get charged for many jobs where customers don't even answer, or they want to schedule you when you are blocked, or they pressed a button by mistake, or just want to find out prices, or don't know what they want and select the wrong job type. THIS ARE ALL CUSTOMERS' mistakes for which Thumbtack makes the PRO PAY. That is unfair. I end up working just to pay the Thumbtack fees and gas and be on 0. Customer reps are very unhelpful and just send you script messages and replies. Thumbtack just TAKES ADVANTAGE of Pros and make the Pros support ALL THE COSTS.

Reviewed Nov. 10, 2023

Unacceptable Experience with Thumbtack - Constant Influx of Invalid Leads. I am writing to express my extreme dissatisfaction with the recent service I have received from Thumbtack. I have been a loyal pro contractor on your platform for over three years, and the recent experiences have left me frustrated and questioning the integrity of your lead generation system.

Over the past month, I have received over 15 leads, and in September alone, 10 leads, all of which have turned out to be invalid. These leads not only wasted my time but also impacted my business negatively. What is particularly troubling is that these leads lacked any work description, making it impossible for me to assess their needs or determine the legitimacy of the inquiries. Moreover, the fact that these leads were sent between 3 AM and 5 AM raises serious concerns about their authenticity. It is highly improbable that genuine potential clients would be submitting requests at such odd hours.

When I contacted your customer support to address these issues and requested a refund, I was met with repeated refusals. The explanation provided, that Thumbtack cannot force clients to provide valid contact numbers or any other info that will prove the lead authenticity, is unacceptable. As a professional contractor who has invested time and money (over $1,500 a week!!!) into Thumbtack, I expect a reasonable level of quality control in the leads I am provided. It is disheartening to see that Thumbtack is unwilling to take responsibility for the quality of the leads it provides and that there seems to be no effort to rectify the situation or compensate for the wasted time and resources.

This experience has severely eroded my trust in Thumbtack as a reliable platform for connecting with potential clients. It is disappointing to feel taken advantage of after years of being a dedicated pro contractor on your platform. I urge you to thoroughly investigate these issues and take corrective action to ensure the quality and authenticity of the leads you provide to your pro contractors. Additionally, I request a refund for the leads that were clearly invalid and unproductive for my business. I hope that Thumbtack can address these concerns promptly and restore my confidence in the platform.

Reviewed Nov. 10, 2023

As an electrical services company, we had an enormous push from Thumbtack to help us build a solid client list; Thumbtack's charges were fair back then. Now, since 3 weeks ago, Thumbtack has gone crazy high with their charges. The situation is frustrating for pros; the charges are around 50% of our profit, sometimes even more, since they charge us when the client contacts us for an offer that sometimes the client ends up not accepting. Ex: client contact: $100.18 (Thumbtack fee), our rate $200. So, Thumbtack made 50.09% profit. For us, $200 - $100.18 (Thumbtack fee) - $40 materials= $59.82 or 29.91% of the total. As someone already stated, I am surprised Thumbtack is not yet involved in a huge lawsuit!

Reviewed Nov. 9, 2023

0 STARS!!!! Poor lead generation. Charges out the butt for leads, customers cancel and then the company can't refund the money. Charges such a high rate for leads, the customer ends up having to take the cost or the jobs aren't worth doing. Customers make fake leads then we can't get refunded from Thumbtack. List goes on and on. What a poor performance from this lead gen company. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY. THEY WILL LIE, ROB AND STEAL YOUR MONEY!!! Save your time and go to Angies or someone else!

Reviewed Nov. 9, 2023

I am marketing my moving company through Thumbtack and I have been a loyal customer for about 4 years now. Thumbtack is the only app I market through, mainly because I spend so much money per week/month $340.00 a week and $1,360.00 a month to be exact. I’ve been extremely successful throughout my time using this app. However the changes they are making are compromising the way us as professionals and contractors are able to successfully book jobs and conduct our business.

First thing is that I don’t believe they make the customer aware that every professional or contractor they request a quote from is being charged fully rather they book with us or not, we are charged. So a customer can reach out to 5 pros and all 4 pros are charged anywhere between $10-$200 depending on the job request. Instant booking are now triple the amount per lead and it still isn’t a guarantee that you will book the job, mainly due to the customer not understanding what they are signing up for. Thumbtack has become very greedy and it’s starting to feel like we are being scammed out of our money and time. I’m extremely upset with the changes and miscommunication they are creating between us as pros and the customers we are looking to serve. I’m very close to shutting down my account with Thumbtack and will spending my money elsewhere.

Reviewed Nov. 8, 2023

Don’t not sign up as a pro!!!! I repeat don’t sign up as a pro! This company are scam artists! As you start you will get some refunds after that everything will be decline or they will say this not eligible for a refund. The instant booking is way for them to get more money from you at whatever they want to charge you. I is don’t believe all the leads are real. Well the bottom line is if you want to get scammed then sign up.

Reviewed Nov. 7, 2023

I have been receiving leads through Thumbtack for several years on and off and for the most part had been pretty satisfied, except for the few leads that were not good leads that they would not refund, until recently. They have started requiring their pros to participate in instant book. The cost of these bookings can be as much as a third of the cost of the job. It is ridiculously expensive, and I am not at all sure that forcing someone to participate in a plan they do not want in order to consider receiving the less expensive leads is all that legal. I do sense a class action lawsuit in the wind, and would be happy to participate should anyone else feel the same.

I have cancelled my account with them because I was charged $53.00 for a $160.00 booking who ended up cancelling when I couldn't guarantee that her now black carpet that was supposed to be off-white/tan carpet would come clean. When I asked for a refund it was declined. They did provide a free instant book which was now only a $120.00 job. At least this client is reasonable. However, I am still out the $53.00 so I have lost more than a 3rd of this $120.00 job. They used to make the pro think they cared about them, now they make it clear they only care about their own pockets. Steer clear of this service. They change their policies on a whim and don't really give you much say.

Reviewed Oct. 27, 2023

I have been a top Thumbtack pro for over four years and they have never changed. I am honestly shocked that they haven’t been hit with a huge lawsuit yet. Stealing constantly from pros is an understatement. They have total disregard for the refund policy and as many has mentioned they refuse to answer the phone half the time. I honestly do not wish to do business with Thumbtack any longer. Beware!

Reviewed Oct. 27, 2023

Based on my some months of experience using the app I can describe this app as a ''Legal way to scam subcontractors money". I several times I noticed if a customer choose only you, little later you can see how many subcontractors that customer contacted. This app shows to the customer, "Hey there are other available subcontractors" to send them the same lead to get more money by charging the same amount of money to several subcontractors. That is how they triggered customers to contact with several handymen for the same job.

Some customers post theirs jobs then never responds. Who knows those customers are AI generated, fake customers or not. I asked several times to refund, but I am ignored. App representative kept advertising this APP to me instead of to refund my money. Only one or two times refunded me not to my directly to debit card. It says "We refund your money as a courtesy credit." What the ** is that? When they charge for the leads they directly charge from your credit or debit card but when money refunded they don't refund it directly to your bank. What a ** smart Idea?

They required you to connect your debit or credit card to the account, whenever they send leads automatically you are charged. You guys so smart? Recently app added instant book stuff and started charging much more money for each lead which even doesn't worth to try it. Since then I lost almost $500 a week. That made me deactivate this App and write this review! Thumbtack App is an App to cow Subcontractors' money a legal way of scamming. Just before using it think twice and be ready to lose your hard work earned money. Just don't use it. Period!

Reviewed Oct. 24, 2023

Thumbtack charged me for a false lead they sent me. The alleged customer said she never requested service from thumbtack. After I requested a refund, they deleted me from their site without refunding my money they stole. They charge up to $90 a job. I called them and got someone from India?? Thumbtack also refuses to let their Pro's list their minimum number of hours or other minimum amount of payment for traveling. They sent me a lead to someone who ordered my services (and yes, thumbtack gouged my debit card for the lead). The customer wanted 2 licensed professionals to travel 30 miles and work for a total of $75.00 (we would normally charge $300.00 for the job). Thumbtack debited my card for their share before even sending me the lead. I lost $225.00 on that job. WHAT A SCAM!! DO NOT USE THUMBTACK, THEY RIP OFF, AND STEAL FROM, THE PEOPLE ON THEIR SITE THAT OFFER SERVICES.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsPriceStaff

Reviewed Oct. 21, 2023

I signed up as a Pro with Thumbtack for a period of about 24 hours to see what this platform was like. I have been a website designer and offered freelance services for 20 years and I have never witnessed anything like Thumbtack. They apparently charge users for each lead but do not disclose what the job is before you get the lead or how much a lead will cost. Then, once they send you a "lead" which doesn't even guarantee you will be hired, they insisted I enter my credit card info. When I clicked on the lead that was sent to me, I saw that it was $195!!! I made NO contact with the customer nor did he contact me! I did nothing at all on that platform and did no business with anyone.

As soon as I saw the cost, I shut down my account and never even entered my CC details. Thumbtack is refusing to let me close my account. They are trying to charge me for services I did not ever use. If you are a service provider, DO NOT even check out their platform. They are corrupt and crooked and I will report this email they sent me everywhere I can.

Hi, We’re following up with you about your request. After reviewing your account, it looks like we can’t process your request to delete personal information because we are permitted to retain your personal information under applicable law. In particular, our records indicate that you still have an outstanding balance that you are legally required to settle pursuant to our Terms of Use, and therefore we are retaining certain personal information to protect against deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, exercise a right provided by applicable law, comply with our legal obligations, and as compatible with the context with which you provided the information. We may, however, fulfill your request to delete your personal information once you have settled your outstanding balance. Please contact our Service and Support team if you need assistance regarding the concern with your account. Thumbtack Trust and Safety Team

Verified purchase

Reviewed Oct. 18, 2023

I suspected that this was scam when I was charged for a lead that was kindly weird, she asked specific questions but it was in an authoritative way, if you have experience with scams, that's how scammers behave. I was charged for two leads, I tried to decrease the lead amount to 0 and for some reason I thought was done before the second lead was charged but it was not. I think they let you be on the platform for a period of month and then start sending you Scam leads on the 2nd month. Do not get this app as a Thumbtack if you don't want to waste your money. Leads are not real leads and the criteria selection is not real. They charge you for "potential leads."

Reviewed Oct. 16, 2023

Thumbtack, is an UNSCRUPULOUS cash cow, who does not care about their professionals. I have dealt with Thumbtack for about three years on and off. Each time I went back, I thought things would be different. So every year when I deactivate my account, I no longer have access to print out my receipts. So, trying to reach someone (person) is a total NIGHTMARE! I have never been so frustrated in my life dealing with customer service. My experience dealing with thumbtack so far has been unscrupulous. The last draw is when I actually called a 415 2992769 number and to my surprise someone answered, but quickly told me that he would transfer me over to someone who could help me. Well back to the recording and the unreachable.

They finally responded with someone overseas. The young lady genuinely wanted to help me, but it was clear to me, when I got off the phone with her, I could not retrieve my information from the app. My last client with Thumbtack cost me $128, because, for some reason, since the client checked monthly, which is all they solely rely upon. Which turned out to be a mistake, because the client did not click monthly. So needless to say the job cost $150. So, I lost 100%. Anyhow the biggest issue that I have is that the way do not care about their contractors and professionals, people can write anything they like about us, and they erase our response, and tell us that they cannot take down the customer review. All I can say is unscrupulous. I suggest a CLASS-ACTION lawsuit on this company, anyone interested? Email me: **. Thank you.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed Oct. 16, 2023

I do not recommend Thumbtack.com for Pro because they supposedly charge you for direct leads. They overcharge the leads and they do not care that the direct customer do not answer or if the phone number no longer works. Multiple times I try contacting customer service but they do not response. I tried to speak to a live representative over an hour and no one responded.

Reviewed Oct. 11, 2023

Never get a working phone number. No refund at all. Horrible. Horrible bad experiences over a months. Very disappointed and I will never waste my money again using Thumbtack pro. Only this week they got over $200 from me with NOT working number. When I called they say they will not refund me. I am done.