Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.15/5

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Thumbtack Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

Original review: May 18, 2020

I was contacted by this company to provide the service that I had posted needing service for. WELL long story short. I wouldn't recommend the site. The entity that I had hired wasn't the best. I intended on using them and no longer have any intention whatsoever to even respond to their email! I should had known when they requested Cash App and Venmo, never gave a receipt for the payment. The added figures were just outrageous from the drafted cost presented and signed by both me and the business that requested to take on the needed service. BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: May 17, 2020

Thumbtack has no respect for my business. How can you charge me but can't refund my hard earned money back to my bank account instead you guys give credit. Nobody wants credit credit so in other words you are forcing me to spend my money. One word thieves and customer service/support there is none. How is that even possible. I got a million calls from Home Advisor but you guys not one call to pro nor email. Never again.

Original review: May 8, 2020

Pros BEWARE. Lots of FAKE LEADS. Thumbtack now providing pros with FAKE LEADS, raised prices and refusing to refund for BOGUS leads, that are cancelled, no replies, etc. Everything changed since March 2020 and all they do charge your credit card and NO real work and NO legit inquires!

Original review: April 22, 2020

Used Painting 66 to paint my condo, thought they did a wonderful job. Once I got settled in I noticed that they only painted one coat through out most of the unit. I requested they return to discuss this issue, she came out once and painted another 30 minutes and left. Refused to come back and look at their work, and I had to pay to have it repainted. I took them to fair claims, but they work with Thumbtack to protect their clients. Never use this company, I have warned you.

Original review: April 16, 2020

To all Vendors and Professionals BE AWARE, Thumbtack is charging for leads that is not matching your budget preferences. After I got wrongfully charged for a lead I asked for refund and got declined. I email them again, got response that I should not be charged, I was supposed to have rights to decline the lead, but I still got charged for it because they said "We know that customers will see your pricing upfront, and still choose to reach out even though they know you do not meet their budget. This is sometimes due to customers feeling they can get discounts, or just simply not understanding what that price reflects."

Even tho it was way under my budget, I got charged for a lead because they said customer wants to negotiate, and for them it is reasonable to charge me for lead, taking my rights to decline the job because clients budget is under $400 ( requested 8h with all editing services, my budget is clearly set $150 per hour without editing. Basic math 8h x $150 per hour= $1200 without editing). How is this valid lead charge? How many times before did they actually charge me and I didn't noticed it? How many vendors did got wrongfully charged? How much money did Thumbtack wrongfully took from vendors?

Original review: March 27, 2020

Professionals - steer clear from this organization. Back in 2010-2012, it was an awesome organization. You could choose which leads to pursue and budget accordingly. Now, you are forced to set a weekly budget for each service you provide (minimum of $25) and you will be automatically charged for leads (in photography - on average $30 per lead, even if your project would only be around $100). It does not matter if you are not available, do not wish to do the job or if the potential client is fake, you will be charged and no refund given.

They claim to have a great support system for professionals, but all they do is bombard you with vague, generic auto responses that are of no help at all. I ended up losing hundreds each week from clients that never responded, who booked elsewhere or I simply was unable to take on the job. Several times, clients requested services only from me and I could not respond as Thumbtack price gauged and made the lead so ridiculously expensive that I simply could not afford to contact the customer. They are a disgrace, a con and they do not care about the hard-working professionals on their site. Their agenda is simply to take all the money they can and for what? They are selling air only.

Do the math, if a client requests quotes from 7-15 professionals, Thumbtack charges each of these professionals $20 to pursue the lead, Thumbtack just made $300 and the professional has a 1 in 15 chance of getting hired (at best - a lot of times, the client has found another photographer through a rival site such as Bark.com). I don't think I even broke even despite all of my hard work because Thumbtack took so much money from my bank account for leads that were dead. It would be cheaper for me to spend that kind of money on my focused advertising to my local demographic rather than just throw my money at Thumbtack for zero results.

Original review: March 27, 2020

I pouring hours and hours and time and effort into creating a profile only to find out that:

1. They encourage you to get as many reviews from past customers as possible but they don’t tell you that at any given time, only ten of those reviews will be shown to potential customers.

2. The app is super bugged, it wouldn’t let me update my introduction and save it without me deleting and reloading the app.

3. The auto pay for leads is **. I got charged $40 for a lead I did get but considering the budget for that job, I won’t make much profit. I paid $20 for a lead that chose someone else. I paid $17 for a lead I’m 99% sure was fake. They have people that will contact multiple photographers about a BIG job like a wedding with a budget over $1,500 so multiple photographers will reply and they can collect lead money from all the pros with a pretend job that the customer never books anyone for.

It’s a scam. I deleted my entire account and app, please do not waste you money on Thumbtack. I’ll be filing a dispute with my bank for every penny I spent.

Original review: March 8, 2020

I put down a very specific, simple description in my profile as to exactly what service I offer so I wouldn't end up paying for worthless inquiries. I have a very niche contracting business. Thumbtack is now, well over a month after I signed up, suddenly deluging me with totally worthless inquires AND TRYING TO CHARGE ME FOR THEM. Thumbtack has NO way that you can remove yourself from their listings once you sign up. The only way you can keep Thumbtack from taking your money (in exchange for NOTHING of any value from Thumbtack) is to block out all the calendar dates for the current month on your profile. But then you have to remember to go back and do that all over again for the next month. And I suppose this will just go on perpetually. This is the true definition of RIPOFF.

Original review: March 7, 2020

This company charge money double, for the leads which not respond to your preferences, for some imaginary leads. Then representatives promise to refund but you will never see your money back. Not honest company, be careful with them.

Original review: March 5, 2020

I attempted to post a review on their site along with pictures of the job for a pro they have listed on their site. They were not interested at all since it was a negative review. Anyone using their site for recommendations will have to do so at their own risks which is what the site is supposed to be helping with.

Thumbtack Company Information