3.6/5 (710 ratings)
Find a Home Improvement Contractors partner

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Thumbtack

Thumbtack is a platform that connects you with a variety of home care professionals, including for home projects, lawn and landscaping, massages, dog training and a variety of other services. Thumbtack helps you compare options, read reviews and see pricing. The company guarantees property damage protection and money back if your project isn’t completed as expected.

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Thumbtack Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

Been on Thumbtack for 3 years and it has definitely gotten worse. The leads are always under the wrong category. Even if you respond within 1 minute the potential customer already has another contractor on the way. They are criminals. I tested it and contacted my own business for a maintenance (20-30$) and they charged me for a new install lead (70-80$). If you own a small business do NOT let this company steal your money. They do NOT give credits back for bad leads like they used to.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

Thumbtack's policy states that leads not consistent with pro's preferences, problematic leads will be refunded to the pros. However, we are charged for leads that Customer admitted in writing that he made a mistake contacting us, as he didn't see that we charge an on site estimate fee of $50 which is labeled next to our company logo. I can provide images if uploading pictures is allowed. Thumbtack supervisor replied to us that the customer decided not to proceed with us because he changed his mind, which is a blatant distortion of the fact, given the customer admitted in writing that he didn't see the on site estimate.

Further, Thumbtack doesn't refund any leads if the customers never reply to pros, claiming they charge these non -responsive leads because they did advertisement for us. Google Ads charges $0.02 per click on business website. In comparison, Thumbtack charges around $60 for each lead, which is 3000 times of Google Ads advertising fee, astonishingly overpriced. Therefore, I do not recommend Thumbtack.

Original review: July 18, 2022

I have the Thumbtack Pro app and I was already unhappy that they charged me for two leads they called me with, I replied and they didn't respond anymore and now they charged me 2x $34 for two leads that sent me the job and I didn't even go in to see what it was, nor to call them, they just discounted $34 2x FOR NOTHING and now they don't want me to refund the amount, it says it's not compatible with the service there. I WANT MY MONEY THAT WAS SIMPLY THROWN IN THE TRASH.

Original review: July 13, 2022

Thumbtack misleads the customer by putting a base price and allow you to believe that is what the company charges. 9 times out of 10 that is the service call fee. They put businesses with lower ratings and bad reviews before those with perfect reviews and great customer reviews. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. When you try to get a breakdown of their fees you get the runaround. Not a refund or even a reasonable explanation.

Original review: July 10, 2022

Thumbtack provided me with a list of service providers of which one had a 4.9 rating, one that was unavailable and the third had a low rating. The one with the 4.9 rating continued to cancel the appointment at the last minute to an ungodly hour - the service provider wanted to start the project after 8 pm. I have no way of leaving a review for this service provider and to call Thumbtack. How do we know the FixTman LLC’s rating of 4.9 is even true? I would have given them a zero rating and as such Thumbtack a zero rating too.

Original review: July 6, 2022

These two gentlemen spent about 20 min parking and complaining about parking. One was openly hostile. The grass looked chopped, not mowed. They did not have an edger. Neither of them were competent in English. Thumbtack does not follow up and seems to have no mechanism for customer feedback. I spent a lot of time trying to tell them just how bad these two were because I did not want Thumbtack to send these two to anyone else’s home. I checked about a week ago and they are still working for Thumbtack.

Original review: July 4, 2022

We own a business and have been using Thumbtack to get leads. We are charged over $100 weekly for "legitimate leads" but we often get suspicious leads that don't even read our response to their inquiry. After using them for 2 years it's pretty clear they create fake leads to charge you hundreds of dollars a month with no chance in assisting the client. We have an A+ rating and a Gold status profile, meaning we have filled all the content out, are professional, contact every "lead" and have a perfect review score from our personal clients. When we ask for a refund for fake clients they prevent it by redirecting the request to a completely different dashboard. They should be inspected by the BBB and closed down. They're predators of local legitimate businesses.

Original review: June 27, 2022

I have been a Thumbtack Pro photographer for over a year. I reported over $35K gross income just from Thumbtack on my last tax return. BUT, I pay around 50% of my Thumbtack income back to Thumbtack for weekly leads. So my net Thumbtack income was closer to $17K. Why? Well, about three quarters of my leads turn out to be duds. They were looky-loos with no intention of booking, they were new competitors trying to sus out the market, they were fake leads (yes, I've often suspected this), or they booked a competitor and just ghosted me instead of telling me they went with someone else after wasting my time communicating with them about their project.

Thumbtack pretends that they guarantee the quality of their leads. They assure you that every lead comes with a phone number but even when I've determined that the phone number is a fake and brought that to their attention, they don't automatically refund me. Also I often pay for duplicate leads. I contest the lead, Thumbtack makes a pretense of checking it out, then because there's a comma on one lead but not on the other (no kidding) they kick it back and tell me it doesn't qualify for a refund under their policy (they always have a link to their legalese blablabla page with the word "policy.")

If I were only paying for legit leads, I estimate my COA (cost of acquisition) would go from 50% down to under 20%, still high but doable. In other words, after studying my data for a year, I know that I pay at least 30% for fraudulent, illegitimate, or duplicate leads. That's money I'm just throwing down the drain. Because of this, and because Thumbtack never responds to this complaint, I have downgraded Thumbtack in my advertising budget and am focusing on other lead sources. If I get busy enough that I book up without Thumbtack, they will be the first thing I ditch in future budgets.

If their customer service were excellent and if they demonstrated any sort of respect and consideration for the pros they make their money off of, maybe I wouldn't feel so ripped-off by them. But today for instance, I have a simple support request on something I need help figuring out but in the past four hours, I have not been able to connect with anyone in their support team. Four hours and I'm a platinum level pro. I'm supposed to get phone support and prioritized chat support. But nah. They don't care. If you're just starting out, maybe. If you're an established pro, put more money into social media ads or something. Thumbtack's not worth it, imo.

Original review: June 27, 2022

Although, this is a good concept Don't think about for one second to join this company as there are many issues that are beyond your control as they charge your account for customer leads that are bogus, customers that are not serious or leads that never respond or leads that created by what I believe are fake leads or internal robots that create fake leads. You can't talk to customer service because it's all done via email and very rarely get a refund when you dispute these fake leads, non serious customers or customers that never respond or stop Responding when you call out the scammers using this site to get your personal info. This company needs to be reported to the DA or need to be investigated for this. Want to be a Pro? Save yourself a lot of money and aggravation. This company is a rip-off. Stay away.

Original review: June 26, 2022

I have been with Thumbtack since 2019. I have used the service for years, the way the application works is you can set a budget for specific targeted leads in different areas of construction work. And you can also limit the distance or areas where you will receive leads from. When I first started using the service I noticed that I would get sent leads when I already had work and I was being charged for jobs that I could not take. I realized that when I found work and didn’t need any more leads from thumbtack and I would have to pause my business.

Thumbtack only allows you to pause your business in certain increments so once that increment of time is up if you don’t change it it will automatically send you leads when it turns on even if you don’t need the leads or intend to. Thumbtack needs to change or add a setting to pause your business until you want to turn it back on. Thumbtack called me and told me that leaving my business hidden has a negative affect on my business as far as leads and Search engine optimization. He suggested I leave it on and use the calendaring feature. He told me that if I block days on my calendar that it would stop leads from being sent to me by people requesting work done on those days. I learned the calendar feature is flawed.

Thumbtack has its customers (leads) fill out a form on their app. The form asks several questions about scheduling and then on one specific page where your picking your availability there is a small box at the bottom of the page that says “open to receive suggestions for other dates from the pro”. Thumbtack preselects this option for the customer, who 99% of the time doesn’t realize the option was selected because THEY DIDN'T select it. I’ve learned this by asking my leads after they tell me they’re not able to wait. This is misleading. Thumbtack does not even provide the customer(lead) with your next available date…

I have disputed several charges from thumbtack that have had this problem and they automatically deny the refund requests. They claim that if a person reads my message and doesn’t respond and I can see that they have my blocked dates selected, that that was a valid lead according to my preferences.. even though it’s obviously not. I have spent several hours with customer service on the phone trying to get a hold of management. I was eventually greeted with an email from thumbtack saying that if I continued to make customer service requests for refunds that “aren’t eligible” my customer support options would be taken away completely.

I continued to try to figure a way around this problem and I was approached with pausing my targeting preferences instead from a customer support rep. I paused my specific preferences each and when I turned them back on all my location settings were reset unbeknownst to me. Thumbtack says this does not happen and that I must have changed them. The settings for all my categories were changed. In order to do this you have to go into each individual category and make changes to many different sections manually.. I made thumbtack aware that I never did that. I am a veteran of this application and have been a top pro, and have been using it for years. This is not an easy mistake to make.

I contacted contact support and they promised me a manager would call me back in 48 hours. I received a call back from the manager three days later. He promised me he would call back on Monday. It has been three weeks since that phone call and I have not received one response to any email from the nasty manager that I got. I decided to go and dispute the charges through my credit card company. When I did that I received a threat from thumbtack saying that if I disputed any more charges that my account would be removed from thumbtack including my 41 five star reviews. I request I receive a recall from management who actually can speak for this company.

Original review: June 24, 2022

I have used many lead generating companies in last 30 years but this one takes the #1 spot in terrible customer service. You can not talk with a human period unless you spend an outrageous amount., which hard to get to their target sales when you cant talk with human.. Worse company. I'd rather spend thousands on Angi or Home Advisor at at least you have a person at desk... if you have an issue. I've been trying to reach them for 2 weeks now they are telling me to start a new account, I already have one and there taking from both.. Beware of thieves..

Original review: June 22, 2022

Hired Dwayne to put up drywall in my basement. Contract says it will take 3/4 days. First day he tells me his guys didn’t show up for him so he will be doing it alone. I tell him not to worry. Take his time. It’s just him. I didn’t realize the 3,000 wasn’t for all the walls. The concrete wasn’t included. Gave me a different price. I send him an extra 500 hundred to get what he can and I’ll send the rest when I can just continue with the first job. Sometimes he just won’t show up. No call or text. I can no longer get in contact with him after telling him to send me back the 500 since the second job didn’t start yet. He didn’t return to do the job. It’s going on 3 weeks. No call. No money returned for the original job he didn’t finish nor was my 500 returned. Just disappeared.

Original review: June 20, 2022

The Thumbtack customer service number provided on the website does not work. They say they're available from 6am to 6pm MT, M-F. I've been trying to contact them for two day during those times and they have yet to be available. I have not gotten any response or been able to speak to anyone, voice or text. Thumbtack makes it very difficult to interact with the pros. The categories you can search are limited (for some reason you have to use their predetermined phrases as opposed to keywords). It doesn't let you search pros by name.

The way you can initiate contact with the pros is very scripted and limiting. Your best option is to follow whatever stupid questions they ask you, get a phone number from the pro, and cut thumbtack out altogether. Beware, they do not let you delete reviews. I left a poor review saying a pro did not show up for an estimate. I found out later he had a valid reason for not showing up. There was nothing I could do to change my poor review or leave another more positive review.

Original review: June 17, 2022

Why go to a company like this?? Instead of going to a platform that is run by a specific company, why don't contractors get a programmer such as what I have, we can build a better platform, pay a certain amt of money, get invoices to the customers fast, work with customers right and then have the job done. It's not only Thumbtack but others out there that want to take people's money. Search stevehforman.com on the web. We can do better and we resell products used and new to customers all over the country. We ship all over the place.

Original review: June 15, 2022

Thumbtack is the worst company with ZERO customer service! As a registered Pro, and someone who pays thumbtack 30,000 yearly, I wish I could leave half a star review! If you ask for a manager, or any person who is in charge, their answer is - "We don't have any!" This company is absolute nightmare for any business. PLEASE STAY AWAY.

Thumbtack response

Hi Alex, we're sorry you haven't received the support you're looking for, that's disappointing for us to hear. You can reach us by texting 415-299-6398 Monday through Friday 6am to 6pm MST, or emailing support@thumbtack. You can also send us a direct message via social media (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter).

Original review: June 12, 2022

For all Pro who is hesitating for use this service. Almost of the customers you gonna get are unqualified customers. Many of them just have nothing to do and click on your profile, then Thumbtack charge yours money immediately. Many of those customers do not respond back to you at all. Some of them come with impossible budget, example mine, They want whole flower wedding decoration with $200 budget only with full service, team set up and clean up. NO REFUND. Refund option is just LYING TRICK. SPAM SPAM SPAM. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY.

Thumbtack response

Thank you for sharing feedback about your experience. We encourage you to submit refunds for leads that don't match your preferences by following these steps: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/how-to-request-a-refund. If you're concerned about illegitimate or concerning leads, please let us know by sharing more information here: https://help.thumbtack.com/report-a-concern.

Original review: June 8, 2022

For years I've made peace with how much Thumbtack charges their Photographer Pros on their website. It started at $15 for a lead to $80 with no guarantee. I've had COUNTLESS requests from customers who say they need a photographer and I'm charged when they decide to request a quote from me. I reply and either the customer doesn't respond or they say they decided to not go through with the session. This IS NOT a legitimate job request and MUST be refunded. However, as a LOYAL professional using their website, I get a generic email saying the refund request doesn't qualify based on their guidelines. This company is raking in the money from us small businesses and it's absolutely unfair. They've made sooo much money off of just me for 6 years plus. It's sickening and they are not standing behind their Pro's that keep their website afloat.

Thumbtack response

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about lead pricing and our refund policy. We do issue refunds if your customers respond that they're not interested in moving forward with the project, you can learn more about our Refund Policy here: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/refund-policy. We'll be sure to pass this feedback along to our teams and hope that we can turn around your experience.

Original review: June 5, 2022

I hired a professional service provider on Thumbtack to remodel my bathroom in March. He met with me, measured the bathroom and provided a quote. He requested a deposit to order the Glass door, which I provided. The door was due on 04/29/2022. We were supposed to meet 2 weeks before delivery to select the tile and other finishes. He did not show but assured me the delivery was on schedule. He came to my home on 05/11 to let me know what the delay was and scheduled another meeting which he missed. After more missed meetings and then no response at all, I contacted Thumbtack and opened a case with the Trust and Safety team. After I provided all requested documentation, they were investigating but had no success with contacting the provider either.

I was scheduled to meet with the Team member who was investigating my complaint on Sunday, June 5th from 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm EST. The meeting did not have a link or a phone number for contact. The Team member emailed me at 11:00 to remind me of the 12:00 meeting. I responded at 11:47 asking how I was to join with no response and again at 12:05 pm with the same question and providing my phone number as well. They are closed on Sunday. I trusted that the providers were vetted before being presented to the public, not with this one. I trusted that Thumbtack would try to assist me with resolving this issue. Again I have been disappointed. They should also post a warning about this provider on their site to prevent other consumers from being duped as I have been. The provider is already up on another site advertising his services. I am disappointed that Thumbtack did not follow through. I am still trying to find this person so that I can recover my money.

Thumbtack response

Hi Diann, we're sorry to hear about your experience this way. We understand time has passed since you initially submitted this review, but we want to ensure your concerns have since been resolved. If you still have outstanding concerns working with the service provider you hired or our team, please let us know. You can send us a direct message via social media (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter) and we'll follow up quickly there.

Original review: May 25, 2022

They took over $70 out of my account for "sending me a lead" which I was not even able to contact!!!! TOTAL RIPOFF!! TRYING TO GET A REFUND BUT CAN'T TALK TO ANYONE!!! Who wants to deal with a company that you cannot speak to anyone? Not me!!!!

Thumbtack response

Hi Jill, please submit all refund requests by following these steps: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/how-to-request-a-refund. If you have any questions about the process, please email us at support@thumbtack.com.

Original review: May 23, 2022

Thumbtack literally only cares for themselves and could care less for their pros at all. They have CONSTANTLY charged my business for leads on days that I have "BLOCKED" on my thumbtack calendar. What is the point of having a feature to "block" days off your calendar on thumbtack if you still get sent leads for that day. What thumbtack does, which is HIGHLY illegal and against their terms of service, is they say that "Thumbtack Pros will not be charged for leads on days that are blocked on their calendar." Thumbtack however, uses a loophole here that allows customers to select "Open to other dates the pro chooses" EVEN THOUGH the customer selected a specific date for their appointment and they are NOT open to other dates. But guess what, you as the PRO still get charged EVEN though you had it blocked on your calendar. Thumbtack, this is highly illegal and I will be filing suit with my lawyer for damages and charges from these illegally sent leads.

Thumbtack response

Hi John, thank you for sharing this feedback. We do give customers the option to select that they're open to other dates, as often times customers still want to hire a specific pro but they're not available on that date, and they can work together to find a different time. To request refunds for any leads that don't match your preferences and settings, please follow these steps: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/how-to-request-a-refund.

Original review: May 18, 2022

To make a long and terrible story short, I was contacted by supposed pro painter through Thumbtack. And on her first day at my house, she took my deposit money without my permission (was supposed to get it at the end of the first day if I was satisfied with the work being done), went into my closet, stole the signed contract we had, and disappeared completely. Police and an attorney haven’t been able to track her down. She did NO work. None. I used Thumbtack versus Google, because it seemed more trustworthy to me. They had allegedly verified these people, run a background check, and so I felt that I should be able to generally trust the people on there. That’s not to say that some people may not do as high-quality work as others, but that I could add a minimum trust them. I have contacted Thumbtack trust and safety numerous times for help. I have received absolutely no response.

Afterwards, this woman was working to cover her tracks, and deleted the Thumbtack profile she had contacted me under. Thankfully I had screenshots of all of our messages. And then she turned around and created a new Thumbtack profile with other fake reviews! Again, I contacted the company to alert them to the fact that she was setting up shop again to find another victim, and no response! Horrible company. Making what is it… $2B dollars and they can’t research their pros??!!

The research I did was able to verify some basic information that this person had provided me. They showed me a copy of their insurance, which has to be fake as well. This is not a situation where I am just a complete fool and didn’t ask any questions or do no research. This woman is sharp, actually knew what she was doing from beginning to the end. That’s why she had to wait until I had to step out into the yard to sneak out. I would never recommend Thumbtack to anyone. Clearly they offer zero benefit and don’t take responsibility under their own Pro guarantee, where it says they will charge the pro to refund a customer or leverage their insurance to reimburse a customer. Nope!

Thumbtack response

Hi Anne, we're very sorry to hear about your experience with this pro. The information you shared is concerning and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We were able to locate your case based on some of the details you shared and found that our Trust and Safety Team has been trying to get in touch with you since the beginning of May, the most recent email being sent on June 6th. If you haven't been receiving these emails, please let us know by reaching out to support@thumbtack.com.

Original review: May 5, 2022

I hire OC Best Cleaning Services through Thumbtack. It was for move-out service. Paid them a deposit of $70 (a stupid move) and never heard from them again. This is Fraud. Stay away from this company and Thumbtack.

Thumbtack response

This is concerning to us and we want to step in and provide a resolution. Please provide more details and your contact information here: https://help.thumbtack.com/report-a-concern. Our Trust and Safety Team will review the information and reach out to you directly within 2-3 business days.

Original review: May 5, 2022

I spent 2 years creating a top pro account with 389 reviews at 4.9 star rating. I responded to customers within moments and earned all the Top Pro badges. I even got emails about being a "neighborhood favorite". Without warning, I was banned from the platform because an ex-employee created an account then was kicked off. They then banned my account because they said we had a "strong association". I sent all the documents I possibly could to prove that I had terminated the employee last year but they told me they would never reconsider their decision. They left my customers in the lurch and even kept my unspent budget money. I can also say that over the course of my time with them, the lead prices kept rising and they would rarely ever refund you no matter the situation. Do not set up to be a pro on Thumbtack, you might do everything right and they still will steal from you and abandon you.

Thumbtack response

We're sorry to hear about your account, Joel. While we aren't able to locate your account or case with the information here, we'd be happy to take another look at this for you to ensure all of our resources have been exhausted. For a quick follow up, please send us a direct message via social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter). Thank you for taking the time to pass along this feedback.

Original review: May 5, 2022

Those contractors Thumbtack recommends to its customers don't have any license, or their licenses have been revoked. There were five contractors came to give me an estimate, and none of them have a license. Thumbtack claims it check their background, but how come it has never checked their licenses? I know in Arizona requires a concrete contractor to have a license.

Thumbtack response

Hi John, specific project categories based on state and local laws require service providers to upload a license. If you do come across anything concerning regarding credentials, please report them here: https://help.thumbtack.com/report-a-concern so that our Trust and Safety Team may look into it and take appropriate action.

Original review: May 3, 2022

At one time Thumbtack was a good service to use. As a DJ/karaoke host I booked many parties through Thumbtack however, in recent years Thumbtack has changed its prices & policies charging much more for leads averaging $45 and up for a lead, many of which are bogus with no phone numbers to follow up. Plus there is no guarantee that you land the job but yet Thumbtack still charges you the fee if the customer responds in any fashion. This means that if 5 DJs provide a quote and the customer responds to all 5, Thumbtack will charge all 5 DJs a large fee. This is not fair. I don't mind paying a booking fee if I land the job. Now they took me out of the search function unless I set up a budget to spend with them so that they can take money from me any time they want. I've stopped using their service. There's too many other booking services online that provide me with booking leads for much less money. Scam! Stay away!

Thumbtack response

We're sorry to hear about how your experience on Thumbtack has changed over the years, it's disappointing to hear you've moved away from the platform. We appreciate you taking the time to share feedback and will make sure it gets communicated to the right teams so that we can improve. If you ever change your mind, please let us know how we can help. We want to wish you and your business well as you move forward.

Original review: May 2, 2022

I wanted my steps demo and new ones installed. Eagle King Construction bought the wrong materials to do job and didn't have the right tools to do job. Thumbtack said they don't check or verify any Information Pros put on the site. I have no way to get in my front door, rubble on my sidewalk. French doors trim all chipped. Elizabeth from Thumbtack said the damage doesn't fall under the guidelines. Eagle King Construction not bring correct materials to do the job. Elizabeth said I should have know what materials are needed and tools to do job.

Thumbtack response

We're sorry to see how your project went, and we appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention. We were able to find your case with our Trust and Safety Team and the specialist assisting you. Based on the case details, we found that the service provider was willing to provide a resolution, but it couldn't be agreed upon by the two of you. Please direct any communication in a direct response to our team's email from May 2nd as they'll be the best point of contact for you moving forward.

Original review: April 26, 2022

When disputing charges they never reply and just continue to hit your account and charge you. No way to communicate with this company at all. Their leads are bogus, tons of price hunters and just do it yourselfers that want work dirt cheap.

Thumbtack response

We're sorry to hear your feedback, that's not at all the kind of experience we want pros to have. Please send us an email to support@thumbtack.com or a direct message via social media channels so that we can address your concerns.

Original review: April 25, 2022

I booked a bi-weekly housekeeping service on Thumbtack, after reviewing the candidates that Thumbtack provided. The cost was $109, which Thumbtack took out immediately. We received an email and a text, confirming the housekeeper for Friday, April 22, 2022 at 10:00 a.m. I stayed home from work to meet the housekeeper, since it was her first time. The housekeeper didn't call, didn't show, didn't text - no communication at all. I contacted Thumbtack immediately and was told that they were simply a 'leads-selling' business, and that they were keeping the money to apply to my Thumbtack account, because although the lead was no good, they did in fact, provide the lead. This is not the service that Thumbtack advertises. I paid for a service, the service was not performed, and even worse, there was no notification that the service was not going to be performed

The housekeeper did get back with me three days later, apologizing, but confirmed that Thumbtack kept the money, not her. I have used other services such as Angie's list and had great experiences. I will never use Thumbtack again, which means that I will not be able to recoup the $109. I am reporting them to Consumer Affairs, the Better Business Bureau, and providing this review to as many customer review websites as possible. WORD OF CAUTION - DO NOT USE THUMBTACK. They are thieves.

Thumbtack response

We're sorry to hear your project didn't get completed. Please report your experience here: https://help.thumbtack.com/report-a-concern. We'd like to look further into the communication you had with our support team, please send us a direct message on social media (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and we'll help you further.

Original review: April 25, 2022

I have been a loyal customer of Thumbtack’s since 2016. I used them to get leads for my photo booth and photographer business. They have changed their business model several times over the years always increasing the charge for leads. Still, I stayed. Last week, my account was deactivated for “violation of terms of service”. What? I’m a top Pro and have the badge on my profile several times over. I spent lots of money with them. I am popular and have rave reviews. Deactivated. I ask them exactly what I could have possibly violated. They answer “if we told you that, it would warrant getting around the violation.” Huh? Don’t you want your customers to be in compliance? Don’t you want your loyal ones to continue offering a solid service to the people who come looking for a pro? No answer. I’m just dropped like that. No real explanation, no care for the impact on me and my business, no chance to correct whatever it was I did wrong.

The TOS are vague and easily used for any reason to drop a Pro. I read every word and still have no clue what I did to render such a harsh action. Don’t use them if you’re looking for security in steady leads. They will compliment you with a badge and some laughable “reward” program but then drop you for whatever reason they like. I had over 60 5 star reviews built up over the years and now they’re just gone. My hard work, gone. It is bad bad business. Do not trust Thumbtack to be loyal to you.

Thumbtack response

Hi Nicole, we're very sorry to learn about your experience with our support team. We value you as a longtime pro on the platform. We were able to look up your case from the email image you shared, and can confirm your account was reactivated at the beginning of May. We appreciate you continuing to work through these concerns with us, if you have any outstanding questions please email us at support@thumbtack.com or send us a direct message via social media.

Original review: April 17, 2022

My son hired a So-called license plumber from Thumbtack who came out to hook up his water softener!! The guy tightened everything so tight it blew holes through the pipes and burst everything in the tank and cause damage to the whole inside of the house and garage with water damage. My son reached out to the guy and He then canceled his Account and also his phone number so we couldn’t go after him and thumbtack said they would get all his information for my son which they never did!!! They are exactly not a trustworthy company or Site to go to so do not Trust or use thumbtack at all. They are bunch of crooks and the people are not licensed…. They said we are a third-party…they said that They are not responsible for people on their sites, jobs and work.

Thumbtack response

We're sorry to hear about your project, this is very concerning to us. Please report these concerns here if you haven't already: https://help.thumbtack.com/report-a-concern, or if you're already in touch with our Trust and Safety Team, please remain in touch with the specialist assigned to your case regarding questions about the pro's contact information and potential resolution options.

Thumbtack Company Information