Find a Home Improvement Contractors partner

Help me decide

3.4/5 (355 ratings)
Find a Home Improvement Contractors partner

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Thumbtack

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Thumbtack Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

The crew was very friendly and was very pleasant to work with. In a time where all roofing contractors are giving you two month before they can show up, Sonny accepted the project even though they were booked and completed the job on time right before the rains. I recommend them for your next roofing project.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

The following "Pros" never showed up after confirming their arrivals. Nate’s Moving Co, https://www.natesmovingco.com, **. Showed, but left without any notice and never responded. LawnStar, lawnstarter.com/427274488228659204 or call 855-849-7360 now. Other Lawn services never responded and changed their services.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

I registered in Thumbtack app as a pro. They sent me some emails and referred me some customers which I was not able to work with them. I did not accept the customers but they charged me for $90 for nothing. Now they don't refund my money! Please stay away from this company.

Original review: July 30, 2021

Thumbtack fake advertise you will get charged only per lead once you have communication with the client. I received a match with potential customers, which I never spoke either by text or message on the app, it was just seeing what they needed, none of the clients contacted called back or accepted my communication. Greedy $26.00 for a lead that never responds back to you, gives you a fake number, and when you ask them to refund your money, they DON'T! I mean, they're basically making millions by exploiting honest business owners.

I have been given leads that are obvious scammers and people with absolutely no intent of using my travel business! Thumbtack, should be ashamed of themselves! they manipulate their users (on a trial) into using an unreliable platform for their own financial gain and we are forced to use the credit, this is not acceptable. I was charged $150 after 10 mins of using their app. When I hit my back button to leave the payment screen it picked it up and charged my card.

I checked my bank statement straight away and I saw my $320 charged on my card for each match I received and NO leads, I complained to them. I immediately deactivated my account I had set up. Contacted a person through email, the only way they talk to you, and he informed me it's non-refundable charge! The money paid to Thumbtack is not returned to you so they kept everything after I canceled my subscription with them. I won't be forced to use this service AGAIN, I want my money back into my card and not the credit, this is misleading service and false information. Fraud at its best.

Original review: July 26, 2021

Their leads for home improvements are poor quality. Then It's almost impossible to cancel the service, and it is not possible to talk to anyone on the phone. It's been a very frustrating experience working with them.

Original review: July 25, 2021

I've had a horrible experience with Thumbtack during the past year and it just keeps getting worse. I've been a 5-star Top Pro with Thumbtack for 3 years. At first, they promoted my business a lot and was getting charged $4-$10 for every lead for new resume clients. This worked out okay because the price of leads was affordable. Some of these leads resulted in nothing - potential clients would ghost me or not respond to any of my messages after I was already billed for the lead. That said, I did generate new business and overall, the fees weren't bad.

Some while ago, Thumbtack briefly started refunding their pros if a lead ghosted them, failing to read the message if you replied to their lead within 4 hours. This was helpful as I was getting refunds from these ghost leads that sometimes approached 4-8 pros. I saw that Thumbtack was getting huge payouts from charging 3-5 pros at a time for the same exact leads. So if a resume brings in $145 for me (the minimum), Thumbtack was earning $16 - $40 on this lead from all the pros that were getting charged for the lead.

During the past year, it's been awful. They eliminated this refund possibility (when leads don't read the message) and instead guaranteed a phone number, which basically means nothing because 90% of the leads don't answer their phones or won't text back and it's just a new round of ghosting. Not only that, Thumbtack has been charging way over the top for the pros. Today, they are charging me up to $25-$30 (sometimes more) for one resume client which still only brings in about $145 for entry-level and $195 for senior-level. This means they are getting $150 if the lead contacts 5 pros... meaning they are getting $150 for a $145 job, which seems to be in poor taste and egregious business practice.

I'd been loyal to Thumbtack and when I reach out about this, all their customer service reps do is give you "tips" on being successful. I know how to be successful. I'd been successful on Thumbtack, but they've changed their business practices to make it impossible to succeed. It's very difficult to compete with other pros when Thumbtack encourages leads to contact additional pros (select up to three additional pros)... this feature is always turned on and all it does is hurt my business. If someone selects me as their pro, Thumbtack encourages them to select others to compete against me. Most of the time, these people are much cheaper trying to break into the market. Some of them only charge $50 or $60 for the same service, which is impossible because basically, I'd be earning $5 an hour if I offered that price. I can't compete, and I'm losing so much money it's no longer worth it.

In one month, Thumbtack has charged me nearly $2000 in fees on my credit card for 79 leads, which is an average of $25-$30 a lead. I've gotten about 10 clients only from these leads, and after I pay credit card fees, etc. During the past month, I've earned around $1000 on these Thumbtack leads. I'm getting ghosted more and more by the leads even though I reach out multiple times and have a strong profile along with a 5-star rating, no negative reviews, am a Top Pro three years running, and have a fully fleshed-out profile. I also have almost 200 5-star reviews.

To Thumbtack: I don't need tips on being successful; I need Thumbtack to stop overcharging on leads. I need them to stop promoting other pros so that Thumbtack can get huge payouts for projects that generate only $150 in income for 1 pro only. I need Thumbtack to refund leads that don't reply or don't even bother to read the message. They are just full of excuses. They are greedy. They are engaging in price-gouging and it's really unfair. I've decided to stop using them altogether because they are not going to refund me any of the high prices I've paid for leads that lead to nothing and because all they are going to do is turn it back on me and say I need to read some article on how to be successful on Thumbtack. It's baloney. They need to alter their business practices and stop trying to find ways to make more money off struggling business owners.

To further raise their prices on Pros so much during Covid-19 is just horrible and they should be ashamed. Most of us are freelancers who are barely getting by and this company is just ripping us off. Don't use Thumbtack. You'll get your eyes gouged out and your credit card bill so high you can't afford to stay in business. You'll be tossed a bunch of useless leads who won't bother to respond. You'll be told by Thumbtack's customer service representatives that it's your fault, not theirs.

Original review: July 25, 2021

This company sucks you dry with tire kicking leads. Most are more than the service you provide. Then if someone takes a shot at you. Not paying their invoice. Or a undeserved 1 star hit when you have all 5 stars. They just throw you under the bus without hearing both sides. Post slander that could be used in a lawsuit. Torturous interference. Steering clear of them is well advised.

Original review: July 17, 2021

Very dissatisfied with this app. They have account “owner” pass a background check and the account owners don’t show up for the job. For example Aces Landscaping in Las Vegas is owned by Alondra **. She never shows up to the work site and has only used her name for someone else that cannot pass the background check. Aces Landscaping was RPG Landscaping but account was cancel because the owner Ricardo ** was unable to pass background check. It is very disappointing that Thumbtack allows companies without making the “employees” pass a background check. I wouldn’t recommend thumbtack as you have no idea who really the account owner is or if the employees are criminals and whom you are opening your home to.

Thumbtack response

Gina, we take reports like this very seriously as your safety is a priority to us. We'd like to have you contact our Trust and Safety team so that we can find out more about this situation. If we receive information that an account is violating our Terms of use, we'll take action to remove them. Feel free to report this directly at https://help.thumbtack.com/report-a-concern or contact us via social media in a private message. We hope to hear from you soon.

Original review: July 14, 2021

This is nothing more than some attempt to replace existing proven companies such as Angie's List. They claim to guarantee the work and get your money back if one of their Pros cheats you or damages your property. All talk to get you signed up. If you need them, their Cs will not respond to emails or calls. In my case 9-separate attempts. They do not vary their pros and the pros manipulate clients for payments in advance and refuse to sign written contracts. This would not happen with Angie's List.

Thumbtack response

Dave, we're sad to hear that you feel this way. It's important that we connect you with pros you can trust and aim to have our customers' backs if something goes wrong. Our Trust and Safety department is here to help. If you ever find yourself with any concerns before, after, or during a project, please contact us at https://help.thumbtack.com/report-a-concern. If you have trouble contacting our team, you can always reach out over one of our social media channels for a quick response.

Original review: July 14, 2021

This company actually deserves a ZERO rating. I wish I'd done my research prior to hiring. I asked Jose Rivas, owner of JL Painting, for a quote to install underdeck roofing over my patio. Jose REQUIRED 50% deposit PLUS cost of materials upfront. HUGE RED FLAG! His team destroyed my underdeck roofing panels ($$) with poor cuts and improper installation. I let Jose know that I was not satisfied with the quality of work. And that I did not think they should have installed the patio ceiling fan until after they had completed and caulked the deck roofing. He created an electrical nightmare. See pic. It was quite evident they did NOT know how to properly install the product.

I had to share a video with him to show how the product should have been installed. He said he would "make it right." Fast-forward - he has since stopped responding to my texts and has obviously blocked my calls. I wish I had read Tasha C. review prior to hiring. Apparently he has a history of taking advantage - he chases money but does not deliver the product. LESSON LEARNED: Make sure they know how to do the work. Do your research before hiring any contractor. Check references. Require proof that they have done and can do the work you need done. And most of all - NEVER HIRE JOSE RIVAS - JL PAINTING to do any of your projects. HE IS IN IT FOR THE 50% UPFRONT AND THEN HE RUNS IF HE DOES NOT WANT TO COMPLETE THE TASK

Thumbtack response

Neicy, we're so sorry to hear that your project didn't go as planned. We have high expectations of pros and require that they have the proper experience needed to perform any services they provide on Thumbtack. Our Trust and Safety team is here to help and we'd ask that you report this at https://help.thumbtack.com/report-a-concern if you haven't already. Our team will then reach out to you to find out more and work to find a resolution.

Original review: July 13, 2021

I use to belong to Thumbtack years ago in the early 2014 when they were legit. Not sure what happen now but it's a rip off. I resigned up earlier this week anticipating using their service as a pro in the coming months. I'm currently overseas right now {July 21} and will return stateside next month {August 21}. Upon signing up I noticed the requirements of adding a credit card, so I did. Also there was limits that had to be set for leads for 3 categories that I had deactivated. Within the next day, I was billed $24.25 for another category that I could not activate or turn off for bid leads. Thumbtack automatically target me in that category and billed me since my credit was in their system. Attempts to contact them is futile. When you call there's no one available and you get a continuous recording to tell you that you can text to get customer service as an option without telling you that they will be with you within a certain time frame.

After waiting for an hour with the the same message playing over and over again, I give up (which is the company's intent). I filed a written dispute and after 48 hours, nothing. This whole lead issue is fishy. Previously lead customers did not respond but now it's 10 times the amount which can be costly to someone starting out or waiting to secure an agreement and everyone with a credit card on file will have the same so call leads. After further reading and reading refunds are on a case by case basis but there's actually no refund but instead a credit. Why would anyone wants to continue this type of deceptive, costly, one sided relationship, not ME. I'm overseas and TT does not operate outside the U.S., this case warrants my money back! I able to activate/deactivate the service that I being charge for. It's a small amount for me but I'm sure they've taken a lot from other with these sketchy practices.

Thumbtack response

We're sorry for any trouble you had contacting our team while you were overseas. We're always available online via our social media channels and are happy to look into concerns as they come up.

It's important to us to be transparent with all charges and how Thumbtack works and we apologize for any confusion you've had while using our service. Please don't hesitate to contact our team and we can look into any other questions you have. We hope to hear from you soon.

Thumbtack Company Information