Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Thumbtack Reviews

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

I have been with Thumbtack now for almost a year. I have encountered nothing but problems with them from the get-go between them committing fraudulent use against my card to allowing their consumers to people that use their sites to find cleaner such as myself the ability to get away with scamming the site and scamming us. Now I just found out that because of things that happened three months ago because of their mistake they no longer want to do business with me and have closed out my account with no apparent reason. Tell everybody that you know to stay away from Thumbtack. There are fraud. They are fake. They are phony. Do not go to Thumbtack. Tell everybody to stay away from them because all you're going to do is waste your time and your money and it's not worth it. I hope this company goes out of business with everything that they have done to me and others.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

This company may be good for customers, but if you're using this company as a pro, as in you're offering a service, it's absolutely non sense. You will spend $90 to make $100. EVERY single time you receive a message from a potential client, your debit card is immediately charged, and the potential client can choose someone else, you're still out that $10-$20 PER message. Most clients send messages to several pros to know their options, so there a LOT of money being generated for Thumbtack at the pro's expense by the clients actions.

Now here is the worst: When I paused the promotion service, (the ($10-$20 fee per message non sense) all of a sudden, when I would look up myself from my sister's phone, my profile read: "THIS PRO MIGHT NOT BE THE BEST MATCH FOR YOUR PROJECT." Thumbtack literally put this on my profile because I stopped paying their ridiculous fees. To whomever is considering using thumbtack, think it through. As a pro, you will be treated like a king or queen until you stop paying, all the while being squeezed for your money, and as a customer, you will enjoy using it. But for every time you message a pro, you are making that pro pay a fee to thumbtack, and there not cheap. It adds up quick. It's a really stupid system.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

It seemed like a good deal that you pay for leads rather than traditional advertising where much of money used is ignored or glazed over. But it isn't a good deal at all. They find new ways to "find" you leads and to charge you. However you get so little business from it. The cost per lead starts to add up, especially when so few actually start to follow through. But even that doesn't mean new business or clients.

I've had a number of people mark me as hired but never even communicated with me and of course they never actually hired me. I've had others actually schedule appointments then cancel at the last minute. Like a doctor, alternative healers cannot work off of clients cancelling a scheduled appointment within just a couple of hours. I'm now convinced Thumbtack hires people to create fake accounts to act as leads just to charge their pros and then never give those pros any actual new business at all.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

I specifically asked for resume writers who could meet in person. All who replied sent generic invites along with generic responses to what needed improving on my resume via remote connection. The 3 that I tried to get assistance did nothing but state their cost/rate and state that they only worked remotely. So, why do writers respond if they don't work in person? IDK. But it has wasted a little of my time, which is not what I signed up with Thumbtack for.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Anyone who uses Thumbtack to find people to do work around your house need to know the following: If you have an 1800 sqft. 3 Bedroom 3 Bath Home, but only need Laundry done... don't put 3 Bedrooms and 3 Baths in the options you select from! - This is how they charge the people on their site! - No one wants to pay $38 to do laundry when the amount they are paid may be less than that... Put the lowest amount possible and leave exactly how big the house is and what you need in the message area that you send them.

I have seen a lot of negative reviews on here about people not getting a response and because pros on Thumbtack don't want to pay to respond.... That is not the case! They don't want to pay the outrageous prices that are being charged for jobs that aren't going to pay that much, because a lot of people who are 'just looking to make some money' go on the site and lower their prices and therefore, the rates we are able to charge, substantially!

Posting pictures of the ridiculous amount being charged for 1 Room Carpet jobs (person seeking help put how big the entire house is and put in the message only need Carpet in 1 room cleaned). This is BACKWARDS! Job costs $49 to bid and will only pay $30 - $50 max. - Other pictures posted are for a 2 Bedroom apartment, light cleaning. ($40 something). Thumbtack is making a killing! Contact Pros directly through their FB, Craigslist, Google or Yelp to help small businesses grow, not help to make greedy sites like this richer. (Angie's list etc.)

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thumbtack?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Thumbtack so far hasn’t been a good way of getting jobs for me, They been charging me for their leads - “exact match” they say and I haven’t even talk to a real people. Even if you try to give an estimate the information they give you is very poor, How can they let somebody try to get a pro with that info. Of course I would like to get a refund..

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

"THIS SERVICE SUCKS". They will suck your bank acount.. I wouldn’t n't recommend it to anybody.. I been paying for Leads. It makes me think that it is a community doing the scam.. How could you give and estimate if they give you very poor information..

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I started using Thumbtack as a Pro back in this summer and was a bit wary of paying for leads to potential customers before even getting any work. I paid for a few leads and then got hired and seemed like it was indeed a good deal. I even convinced friends and colleagues that it was a better deal than paying to advertise where you're not even necessarily reaching people. I'm for sure backtracking now because after only a few successful paid jobs (none since July! 5 months!) I've been paying for "leads" that go nowhere.

It seems like I'm actually now paying to directly reach absolutely no one as many of these paid leads the customer either stops responding after one message or never even responds altogether. This has me thinking that Thumbtack is potentially creating fake leads to continue getting paid. I get that potential clients would be put off by having to pay for reaching out to pros so in theory this model makes sense but I should not be shelling out 100's of dollars to these leads that end up nowhere. Honestly I'd rather give my money to traditional advertising as I'd have a better chance of reaching one single person than through Thumbtack.

I'm attaching what I've paid in leads plus my conversation thread to show I've only been hired a couple times. I've tallied up the charges minus the credits (they don't refund only give you a credit for successfully disputed leads) and I've netted $460 and paid $225.92. That's 50% that I've had to pay to them. You're much better off with something like Upwork where you know you're paying only max 20% and then even less after the first $500 with a client. And that's with you definitely paid!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

Scammers!!!! Stay a way from them!!! I use their service as a contractor, I have nothing to say but... run away from them as far as possible. Zero stars, you will spend more making zero...run just run.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I signed up to Thumbtack to check it out and realized they didn’t have enough information on jobs they had. I looked a total of probably 10 times and still not enough info on jobs so I stopped looking at the app and for some reason I looked at credit card statement and they helped themselves out to my credit card. I didn’t even talk to a single customer and that’s good enough for them. If you have app on phone that’s good enough to charge your card.

Thumbtack Company Information