1.48/5
Based on 231 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

282 Rowenta Steam Irons Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 28, 2016

I have tried 3 different Rowenta steam irons and all 3 leaked badly and all 3 had to be returned. A salesperson told me that the ones marked Made in Germany do not leak but the ones marked Made in China will leak. The last Rowenta I got was model DW5183, which is made in Germany. I used it exactly 4 times. I followed the instructions for self-cleaning and when I reached the last step and plugged it in, a flood of water came leaking out from the bottom, all over my kitchen counter and floor.

I called Rowenta customer care and they told me to send it back to them for repairs. Since this is a barely-used iron, I think they should have offered to replace it with a new one. Poor customer service, in my opinion. The iron is going back to the store for a refund. The length of the cord on this Rowenta is OK (could be longer, like my old Black & Decker's) but the cord on the Rowenta self-winding irons is way too short to be practical and the extra bulk at the base throws off the balance of the iron. Avoid those models. My previous steam iron, a Black & Decker, lasted 15 years before it started having problems. Fortunately I did not throw it out and will try to have repaired, since it is a better-made iron than the Rowenta. If you do get a Rowenta, save the packaging and receipt because it is very likely you will need to return the iron and get a different brand. I will never buy another Rowenta product.

Original review: June 21, 2016

I have never been so disappointed in an iron in my life. I saved to buy a Rowenta iron as I heard they were the very best on the market and worth the high price. I sell my sewing and crafts so I treated myself to the top of the line Rowenta. It feels nice and glides nicely, good weight, love the long point at the front... BUT IT LEAKS NON-STOP. I dye some of my fabrics and of course a gush of water marks the fabric and makes it useless. I have tried everything to stop the leaking, but nothing has worked. I will never buy a Rowenta product again and when I took it back to the store I bought it from the sales lady said, "Oh yes, we have a lot of Rowentas returned!" I wish I knew this little piece of information. I am now using a Black & Decker steam iron, that was 1/2 the price of the Rowenta and it works BETTER. So long story short, don't be fooled by Rowenta.

Original review: June 4, 2016

I purchased my first Rowenta over 15 years ago & it lasted quite a long time with no issues - after ironing every day it just stopped working. Purchased a cheaper model iron as I was in a pinch - used it about a year, when I decided to purchase another Rowenta Model DW 5181. Had a little over a year & now it leaks like crazy (I clean regularly & store correctly) thought maybe I was overfilling, but that is not it as I put little water in & empty daily - it leaks so bad that my iron board is soaked & I have replaced the cover/padding twice to avoid mold, etc. Then the other day - I had it set on low - to iron a blouse I have ironed for months on the same setting & it scorched a hole right in the arm - This was not a cheap blouse & one of my favorites & it is no longer available for replacement - SO I am now very very unhappy!

I read somewhere that they should be monetarily responsible to their customers. I am thinking very seriously about checking into a class action lawsuit - one year warranty on $150 plus iron & they will do not do anything & it seems that is when they decide to stop working or begin having issues? I think they making sub par irons with the hopes that we continue to keep replacing them with a new one, not me any longer & based on the many complaints on here - I think a class action is justified!

Original review: June 1, 2016

I purchased my first Rowenta Effective iron model # DW2070 one year ago at Bed Bath and Beyond and have hated it ever since. It shuts off in the middle of ironing and I hardly ever get any steam coming out. At first I thought it was something I was doing wrong, but after reading all the terrible reviews, I know it is the cheap product and not me. Unfortunately I do not have my sales receipt or proof of purchase from BBB, but was told by their store manager to contact Rowenta and report it and maybe they will honor their guarantee. So now I wait to see if I get a response.

Original review: May 23, 2016

I purchased a Rowenta steamer from JC Penney. I used it for the first time and wasn't thrilled with it. But it was only $75 and I figured that you get what you pay for. At that point I threw the box away. The very next time I plugged it in there was steam coming from where the hose connected to the steamer and the nozzle was ice cold. I was burned by the steam when I was trying to check the connection. I unplugged and tried it again, same thing. The steamer is brand new, useless, and dangerous. I can't return because I have no box. After reading these reviews, it is hard to understand how this company is allowed to still be in business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rowenta Steam Irons?

Original review: May 22, 2016

I am so glad I found this site. You can't believe how disappointed I have been with this brand of irons. I have owned at least 10 over the last 15 years and purchased the top of the line iron each time. My most recent one only lasted about 8 months. I kept thinking is it something that I'm doing wrong while ironing. I constantly use the steam button and thought maybe is that my problem. Well one evening I was ironing clothes for a cruise and my iron just made a poofing sound and went cold. I had to run out to the drugstore to buy a replacement. I purchased the only one they had which was a Proctor Silex for 14.99 and that iron surpassed any Rowenta Iron that I have owned. The Rowenta Iron company certainly owes their loyal customers some monetary apology for crappy product.

Original review: May 18, 2016

I have purchased three Rowenta irons over the past four years. They all have the same problem, shutting off during use. The light goes out and if you wiggle the cord where it goes into the iron it will briefly come on, but as soon as you move the iron it goes off again. Obviously the motion of the iron on the cord causes the wires to wear and break. All three irons have had the same ball connection on the wiring system. This is a major defect that needs to be changed. Stabilize the cord connection so it does not move every time the iron moves.

Original review: May 11, 2016

I don't often write reviews and never have I written a negative one, however I really feel I have to give a heads up to anyone who might be thinking about buying this iron Rowenta DW9280 Steam Force. Initially I loved this iron however from the beginning the closure mechanism for filling the iron was a little wonky. After 41 days it broke. I called customer service and they told me I was out of the 30 day return window and needed to send it to a service center which would take at least three weeks. Very difficult to be without an iron for someone who has a little sewing business.

In talking to customer service they kept referring me to the 30 day policy. I asked my customer service representative Leslie to talk to her supervisor and see if there was something that could be done. She went away leaving me on hold and came back and told me there was nothing that could be done. Again quoting the 30 day return policy. When I asked to talk to the supervisor myself she told me that none was available. Surprising since she was supposed to have just talked to him. Come to find out according to The customer service representative there is no supervisor at all but she will get a hold of one who should call me. I don't have much faith in this as The customer service representative lied to me in the first place about talking to her supervisor.

Original review: May 8, 2016

Rowenta DX9800 iron. I have owned 2 Rowenta irons, both have caught on fire. Both times I was home and was able to toss them outside before the house caught fire. Rowenta irons are dangerous and need to be recalled. There is obviously an engineering/design problem with these irons. I searched the internet to discover that a number of others, and more than a few, have had similar issues with Rowenta irons, that is fires (so much for German engineering. That's why I bought mine). I expect a full refund and I expect that this very dangerous problem will be fixed--no argument, no delays, no excuses, and fixed before someone dies in a fire. I fully expect Rowenta to acknowledge the problem and take immediate action to correct the problem and alert users as to the risks.

Original review: April 5, 2016

I have been a seamstress for over 30 years and have had the same Rowenta Iron 20 years. It started to quit sporadically so my daughter purchased a new one for me. The new iron leaked so bad that I had gone back to the old one. I sent emails to Rowneta about the problem and was given a standard answer on how to use steam. That was a year ago, and recently the old one quit. So I gave the new one DW 5080, another chance. Not pleased at all, as it has sent water all over the project and soaked the ironing board pad. I have come to the conclusion that they are all defective as 2 years ago, I purchased a different model one for a gift, comes as no surprise that it leaked from day 1. I will look elsewhere for a professional iron from now on.

Original review: March 14, 2016

I've owned a Rowenta iron for 20 years and decided to buy a new one which was much lighter. I bought model number DW 2090 and was very disappointed. It's made cheaply, doesn't work nearly as well as my 20-year-old iron so I returned it. I'm very disappointed Rowenta put its name on the products like the one I purchased.

Original review: March 2, 2016

I bought this iron (model DW2170) and it LEAKS! I bought it specifically because that was one of the "promises" on the literature and box. It is the worst iron I have ever had and I am 67 so I have had MANY irons in my lifetime!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2016

I purchased a third Rowenta iron and after only 4 months, it started leaking a LOT. I was instructed to ship it back to Rowenta and they would either replace with a new one or repair my old one. What I received back was a dirty iron with a dented soleplate and a broken box which was shipped in a perfectly fine box. I called Rowenta back and they asked for photos. I sent them photos and Stacey, the representative I spoke with from Rowenta Customer Service, robotically and flatly, said she couldn't see the dirt in the photo. So we disagreed. She then explained that she would send the issue to UPS for investigation which would take ten days for me to hear from UPS. So now I have an iron that is neither mine nor new and waiting to hear back from UPS?

Rowenta was not at all helpful in resolving my issue. I explained to Stacey that the box on the inside was damaged, and not the box on the outside, but she insisted that the investigation was necessary. She also explained that I could ship the box back to have the soleplate repaired which she then redirected to a UPS investigation instead. I'm confused why I would need to have a damaged iron repaired when it wasn't even mine to begin with, but Stacey just talked over me as if I was being difficult. This issue has been ongoing for over a month now and doesn't seem fair that I am still without a working iron. I will never purchase another Rowenta product.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2016

I bought a new Rowenta travel iron, and only used it a few times, probably less than 20, and always on dry. The last time I used it some kind of fluid came out the front end, then it quit working. I kept the iron, and because we were moving, I packed it, with the intent to take it back to JoAnn's Fabrics once we got settled in our new home. When we took it back, they said they couldn't do anything about replacing it, as it had been too long. It is really disgusting to pay that much money for a product that is defective and not get it replaced. Unfortunately, I received a new one as a Christmas gift -- am wondering if it will last a month! I am very unhappy with Rowenta and will not recommend their product to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2016

I have been a Rowenta Iron user for over 25 years. It seem that every iron I get lasts about 1 year if that. My last iron was DW9280... The Mercedes of all. It's been a year and it just died on me. I've been dealing with leakage for a few months already, self-cleaned it and not better. As a family of 3 we iron every day our clothes for the day. It's extremely important that we have an iron. I'm stuck as of today... Going to go out and spend $$ on another iron. The only problem I have is that there is no other iron that compares to a Rowenta! I end up buying the top brand with all the extra steam and at the highest price. Would love to get some input if there is another comparable brand. All others are light in weight and really do not have the industrial strength of Rowenta. Need some help, please.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2015

I am on my third Rowenta iron and based on its performance in the past few months, I am ready to move on. This iron leaks, as did my last one and the one before that. I keep buying them because I feel I got my "money's worth" in that they didn't experience the leakage until after several years of use. The current one I have is barely a year old and it leaks terribly. I have tried everything to curtail its leakage and even called Rowenta directly. They said I should do a self-clean and that would help. I have done several "self-cleans" and it did not help. It's worse now than what is was leaking. I doubt I'll ever purchase a Rowenta iron again.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2015

I researched carefully before buying this iron. As for girl is very difficult to understand some technical moments and our questions are very simple and stupid sometimes. I saw a review at the **. At this review we can see that Rowenta DW5080 is the best iron. I agree with it. This model has a soleplate made of stainless steel, a power 1700 Watts, 3 main temperature settings, and is made of high-quality plastic. I bought this iron and I love it! It's really the best iron!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2015

I was ironing with a Rowenta Effective Comfort Iron when I noticed it sticking to the fabric. Setting was low cotton with steam. When I touched my ironing board cover, the iron scorched it. Blue smoke started pouring out from the plate. I immediately unplugged it and took it outdoors. I purchased two irons in August of 2015; I have warned my son to not use the iron I purchased for him. First thing tomorrow morning I'll be in touch with Rowenta requesting full refund for both irons and will further investigate consumer recall of the iron.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2015

Purchased 2 identical Rowenta irons model DW8061-4614 from Target early this year, 2015. Iron sheets 2x/week with vapor and cotton/linen setting. Noticed flame coming out of wire within white ventilated 'sleeve' attaching to posterior handle. Quickly disconnected, flame subsided. Iron says "made in Germany". Called Rowenta and they assured me fire "was not a known issue", they would send prepaid label to investigate, and replace. Scary because I gave my daughter a Rowenta iron and I am using the second one purchased. Have a fire extinguisher now in laundry room.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2015

Rowenta Pro Steam Station Leaks. Soon after purchasing the tank began to leak terribly. I will not buy another Rowenta product in the future. I was please initially, but with the first month I noticed leaking so severely that it soaked the carpet where I was ironing and removed the finish from the chair I had it sitting on.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2015

I am no longer using any Rowenta products primarily because of the severe leaking problem. I have a very fine, expensive ironing board and the surface has some rust on it because of the constant leaking iron. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY. BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

I purchased a ROWENTA TRAVEL IRON in February 2013, so understandably it is past the one-year warranty period. As of October 2015, the iron had been used 5 times quilting classes or quilting retreats. Since our area has extremely hard water, I run the iron in the "dry" setting. On October 18, 2015, I was using the iron and it had been plugged in for approximately 25 minutes. All of a sudden I noticed a stream of smoke rising from the tip of the iron and a horrible smell. The iron was overheating and was immediately unplugged and has not been used since. I am writing this review to let others know about the problem I experienced. Internet research indicates that there has been no recall by Rowenta & others have commented that their customer service is not very good. You can be assured that my next purchase will not be the same brand.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2015

I purchased a Rowenta DW 8080 iron and within a month it proved to be a massive disappointment. I could not finish one garment before the iron would shut off and not come back on. I would unplug it and plug it back in, nothing. I would wait half an hour and it would not come on. I usually couldn't use it again until the next morning when I would have to go through the entire exercise again. I would recommend everyone avoid spending this much on a name brand product that is frankly worthless. In your best interest, I would recommend two things with these irons. Either leave them on the store shelf or put them in the garbage.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2015

I have had two Rowenta Irons, and both of them gave me the same problem: the steam tanks leaked, dribbling water all over the item I was trying to iron. After the second one did it, I was curious and dismantled it to see what failed. The water tank is made of two halves which are sealed (?) together by a black sticky mastic. The mastic had come unstuck, letting the water run out. These Rowenta Irons are expensive! The old steam iron my Mom had back in the 50's lasted for decades! This is progress???

Original review: Oct. 12, 2015

I see the many complaints on Rowenta irons. I bought the Rowenta effective iron model 1700W on Dec 2014, it is now Oct 2015. Problems began 8 months ago. Now it's worse. It leaks water while you're ironing & a puddle while it's sitting still. Water & electricity don't mix. The iron scorches & I have to clean it when it's cooled off. It steams on & off. It's awful. I can't get through to the company. I see from the other complaints, Rowenta doesn't care.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2015

I purchased a Rowenta steam iron 4 years ago ($149.95 + tax). As we have very few clothes that require ironing, this iron has been used approximately 20 times for about 20-30 minutes each time. It has now failed. First it scorched the article I was ironing (even though it was set for cotton) and then the heat turned off completely. I realize the company only offers a one year warranty but I cannot believe that an appliance that costs this much would have such a limited life span. My advice: DO NOT BUY A ROWENTA IRON!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2015

Iron overheats to the point that it's hard to hold on to handle. Had issues with the iron leaking from the bottom too. Called customer service and they wanted to put blame on me. Will not purchase another Rowenta.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2015

I purchased a Rowenta Iron model number DW8080 from Target 2 years ago and paid 92.86. It completely died the other day. I phoned Rowenta customer service and they conveyed to me that there is only a 1 year warranty. I am very angry because this is a very expensive iron. The company should stand behind their product. I asked if I can ship it back for them to take a look at it. The representative said there are no recalls on this Rowenta iron. However, if they don't check them when someone complains how would they know.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2015

I have finally decided never to purchase another Rowenta Iron. 12 yrs ago I bought my first, and loved it. Sadly it only lasted 2 years. I then upgraded to the Steam Station and I have had to purchase a new 1 every 2 years. I now have invested over $1400.00 in their Irons and I've had enough. I have wrote the company, sent e-mails and have made dozens of calls. Most go unanswered, but when they do answer they always sell me a new part to fix the problem and it never works. The parts come from a 3rd party and they take no returns. I'm done with Rowenta and hope people stop buying their inferior products.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2015

I was ironing clothes this morning when all of a sudden I heard a noise, then a smell and noticed that the iron was on fire. Thank heavens it was me and not someone else ironing.

Rowenta Steam Irons Company Information