1.49/5
  • 1 star
Based on 225 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 1, 2017

276 Rowenta Steam Irons Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: May 18, 2016

I have purchased three Rowenta irons over the past four years. They all have the same problem, shutting off during use. The light goes out and if you wiggle the cord where it goes into the iron it will briefly come on, but as soon as you move the iron it goes off again. Obviously the motion of the iron on the cord causes the wires to wear and break. All three irons have had the same ball connection on the wiring system. This is a major defect that needs to be changed. Stabilize the cord connection so it does not move every time the iron moves.

Original review: May 11, 2016

I don't often write reviews and never have I written a negative one, however I really feel I have to give a heads up to anyone who might be thinking about buying this iron Rowenta DW9280 Steam Force. Initially I loved this iron however from the beginning the closure mechanism for filling the iron was a little wonky. After 41 days it broke. I called customer service and they told me I was out of the 30 day return window and needed to send it to a service center which would take at least three weeks. Very difficult to be without an iron for someone who has a little sewing business.

In talking to customer service they kept referring me to the 30 day policy. I asked my customer service representative Leslie to talk to her supervisor and see if there was something that could be done. She went away leaving me on hold and came back and told me there was nothing that could be done. Again quoting the 30 day return policy. When I asked to talk to the supervisor myself she told me that none was available. Surprising since she was supposed to have just talked to him. Come to find out according to The customer service representative there is no supervisor at all but she will get a hold of one who should call me. I don't have much faith in this as The customer service representative lied to me in the first place about talking to her supervisor.

Original review: May 8, 2016

Rowenta DX9800 iron. I have owned 2 Rowenta irons, both have caught on fire. Both times I was home and was able to toss them outside before the house caught fire. Rowenta irons are dangerous and need to be recalled. There is obviously an engineering/design problem with these irons. I searched the internet to discover that a number of others, and more than a few, have had similar issues with Rowenta irons, that is fires (so much for German engineering. That's why I bought mine). I expect a full refund and I expect that this very dangerous problem will be fixed--no argument, no delays, no excuses, and fixed before someone dies in a fire. I fully expect Rowenta to acknowledge the problem and take immediate action to correct the problem and alert users as to the risks.

Original review: April 5, 2016

I have been a seamstress for over 30 years and have had the same Rowenta Iron 20 years. It started to quit sporadically so my daughter purchased a new one for me. The new iron leaked so bad that I had gone back to the old one. I sent emails to Rowneta about the problem and was given a standard answer on how to use steam. That was a year ago, and recently the old one quit. So I gave the new one DW 5080, another chance. Not pleased at all, as it has sent water all over the project and soaked the ironing board pad. I have come to the conclusion that they are all defective as 2 years ago, I purchased a different model one for a gift, comes as no surprise that it leaked from day 1. I will look elsewhere for a professional iron from now on.

Original review: March 14, 2016

I've owned a Rowenta iron for 20 years and decided to buy a new one which was much lighter. I bought model number DW 2090 and was very disappointed. It's made cheaply, doesn't work nearly as well as my 20-year-old iron so I returned it. I'm very disappointed Rowenta put its name on the products like the one I purchased.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rowenta Steam Irons?

Original review: March 2, 2016

I bought this iron (model DW2170) and it LEAKS! I bought it specifically because that was one of the "promises" on the literature and box. It is the worst iron I have ever had and I am 67 so I have had MANY irons in my lifetime!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2016

I purchased a third Rowenta iron and after only 4 months, it started leaking a LOT. I was instructed to ship it back to Rowenta and they would either replace with a new one or repair my old one. What I received back was a dirty iron with a dented soleplate and a broken box which was shipped in a perfectly fine box. I called Rowenta back and they asked for photos. I sent them photos and Stacey, the representative I spoke with from Rowenta Customer Service, robotically and flatly, said she couldn't see the dirt in the photo. So we disagreed. She then explained that she would send the issue to UPS for investigation which would take ten days for me to hear from UPS. So now I have an iron that is neither mine nor new and waiting to hear back from UPS?

Rowenta was not at all helpful in resolving my issue. I explained to Stacey that the box on the inside was damaged, and not the box on the outside, but she insisted that the investigation was necessary. She also explained that I could ship the box back to have the soleplate repaired which she then redirected to a UPS investigation instead. I'm confused why I would need to have a damaged iron repaired when it wasn't even mine to begin with, but Stacey just talked over me as if I was being difficult. This issue has been ongoing for over a month now and doesn't seem fair that I am still without a working iron. I will never purchase another Rowenta product.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2016

I bought a new Rowenta travel iron, and only used it a few times, probably less than 20, and always on dry. The last time I used it some kind of fluid came out the front end, then it quit working. I kept the iron, and because we were moving, I packed it, with the intent to take it back to JoAnn's Fabrics once we got settled in our new home. When we took it back, they said they couldn't do anything about replacing it, as it had been too long. It is really disgusting to pay that much money for a product that is defective and not get it replaced. Unfortunately, I received a new one as a Christmas gift -- am wondering if it will last a month! I am very unhappy with Rowenta and will not recommend their product to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2016

I have been a Rowenta Iron user for over 25 years. It seem that every iron I get lasts about 1 year if that. My last iron was DW9280... The Mercedes of all. It's been a year and it just died on me. I've been dealing with leakage for a few months already, self-cleaned it and not better. As a family of 3 we iron every day our clothes for the day. It's extremely important that we have an iron. I'm stuck as of today... Going to go out and spend $$ on another iron. The only problem I have is that there is no other iron that compares to a Rowenta! I end up buying the top brand with all the extra steam and at the highest price. Would love to get some input if there is another comparable brand. All others are light in weight and really do not have the industrial strength of Rowenta. Need some help, please.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2015

I am on my third Rowenta iron and based on its performance in the past few months, I am ready to move on. This iron leaks, as did my last one and the one before that. I keep buying them because I feel I got my "money's worth" in that they didn't experience the leakage until after several years of use. The current one I have is barely a year old and it leaks terribly. I have tried everything to curtail its leakage and even called Rowenta directly. They said I should do a self-clean and that would help. I have done several "self-cleans" and it did not help. It's worse now than what is was leaking. I doubt I'll ever purchase a Rowenta iron again.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2015

I researched carefully before buying this iron. As for girl is very difficult to understand some technical moments and our questions are very simple and stupid sometimes. I saw a review at the **. At this review we can see that Rowenta DW5080 is the best iron. I agree with it. This model has a soleplate made of stainless steel, a power 1700 Watts, 3 main temperature settings, and is made of high-quality plastic. I bought this iron and I love it! It's really the best iron!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2015

I was ironing with a Rowenta Effective Comfort Iron when I noticed it sticking to the fabric. Setting was low cotton with steam. When I touched my ironing board cover, the iron scorched it. Blue smoke started pouring out from the plate. I immediately unplugged it and took it outdoors. I purchased two irons in August of 2015; I have warned my son to not use the iron I purchased for him. First thing tomorrow morning I'll be in touch with Rowenta requesting full refund for both irons and will further investigate consumer recall of the iron.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2015

Purchased 2 identical Rowenta irons model DW8061-4614 from Target early this year, 2015. Iron sheets 2x/week with vapor and cotton/linen setting. Noticed flame coming out of wire within white ventilated 'sleeve' attaching to posterior handle. Quickly disconnected, flame subsided. Iron says "made in Germany". Called Rowenta and they assured me fire "was not a known issue", they would send prepaid label to investigate, and replace. Scary because I gave my daughter a Rowenta iron and I am using the second one purchased. Have a fire extinguisher now in laundry room.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2015

Rowenta Pro Steam Station Leaks. Soon after purchasing the tank began to leak terribly. I will not buy another Rowenta product in the future. I was please initially, but with the first month I noticed leaking so severely that it soaked the carpet where I was ironing and removed the finish from the chair I had it sitting on.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2015

I am no longer using any Rowenta products primarily because of the severe leaking problem. I have a very fine, expensive ironing board and the surface has some rust on it because of the constant leaking iron. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY. BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

I purchased a ROWENTA TRAVEL IRON in February 2013, so understandably it is past the one-year warranty period. As of October 2015, the iron had been used 5 times quilting classes or quilting retreats. Since our area has extremely hard water, I run the iron in the "dry" setting. On October 18, 2015, I was using the iron and it had been plugged in for approximately 25 minutes. All of a sudden I noticed a stream of smoke rising from the tip of the iron and a horrible smell. The iron was overheating and was immediately unplugged and has not been used since. I am writing this review to let others know about the problem I experienced. Internet research indicates that there has been no recall by Rowenta & others have commented that their customer service is not very good. You can be assured that my next purchase will not be the same brand.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2015

I purchased a Rowenta DW 8080 iron and within a month it proved to be a massive disappointment. I could not finish one garment before the iron would shut off and not come back on. I would unplug it and plug it back in, nothing. I would wait half an hour and it would not come on. I usually couldn't use it again until the next morning when I would have to go through the entire exercise again. I would recommend everyone avoid spending this much on a name brand product that is frankly worthless. In your best interest, I would recommend two things with these irons. Either leave them on the store shelf or put them in the garbage.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2015

I have had two Rowenta Irons, and both of them gave me the same problem: the steam tanks leaked, dribbling water all over the item I was trying to iron. After the second one did it, I was curious and dismantled it to see what failed. The water tank is made of two halves which are sealed (?) together by a black sticky mastic. The mastic had come unstuck, letting the water run out. These Rowenta Irons are expensive! The old steam iron my Mom had back in the 50's lasted for decades! This is progress???

Original review: Oct. 12, 2015

I see the many complaints on Rowenta irons. I bought the Rowenta effective iron model 1700W on Dec 2014, it is now Oct 2015. Problems began 8 months ago. Now it's worse. It leaks water while you're ironing & a puddle while it's sitting still. Water & electricity don't mix. The iron scorches & I have to clean it when it's cooled off. It steams on & off. It's awful. I can't get through to the company. I see from the other complaints, Rowenta doesn't care.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2015

I purchased a Rowenta steam iron 4 years ago ($149.95 + tax). As we have very few clothes that require ironing, this iron has been used approximately 20 times for about 20-30 minutes each time. It has now failed. First it scorched the article I was ironing (even though it was set for cotton) and then the heat turned off completely. I realize the company only offers a one year warranty but I cannot believe that an appliance that costs this much would have such a limited life span. My advice: DO NOT BUY A ROWENTA IRON!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2015

Iron overheats to the point that it's hard to hold on to handle. Had issues with the iron leaking from the bottom too. Called customer service and they wanted to put blame on me. Will not purchase another Rowenta.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2015

I purchased a Rowenta Iron model number DW8080 from Target 2 years ago and paid 92.86. It completely died the other day. I phoned Rowenta customer service and they conveyed to me that there is only a 1 year warranty. I am very angry because this is a very expensive iron. The company should stand behind their product. I asked if I can ship it back for them to take a look at it. The representative said there are no recalls on this Rowenta iron. However, if they don't check them when someone complains how would they know.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2015

I have finally decided never to purchase another Rowenta Iron. 12 yrs ago I bought my first, and loved it. Sadly it only lasted 2 years. I then upgraded to the Steam Station and I have had to purchase a new 1 every 2 years. I now have invested over $1400.00 in their Irons and I've had enough. I have wrote the company, sent e-mails and have made dozens of calls. Most go unanswered, but when they do answer they always sell me a new part to fix the problem and it never works. The parts come from a 3rd party and they take no returns. I'm done with Rowenta and hope people stop buying their inferior products.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2015

I was ironing clothes this morning when all of a sudden I heard a noise, then a smell and noticed that the iron was on fire. Thank heavens it was me and not someone else ironing.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2015

We purchased the above mentioned steam station 1 year and 10 months ago. When we first tried to use the $200 unit, it spit water all over the clothes. Tried everything and finally got it to work, for two months. Then it started steaming all the time, even without pulling the "trigger". Wrote a letter to Rowenta. No response. Thought with time it would go away, just like the spitting. Never went away, just kept emptying the steam reservoir. Called Rowenta today and was told it only has a 12 month warranty. Send it to a service center, pay to have it analysed, and then pay to have it repaired. MY SUGGESTION: DO NOT BUY THIS PIECE OF GARBAGE!!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2015

I purchased a Rowenta Iron 9 months ago. In July it stopped working, I sent it in for repair, received it back promptly and it worked for 2 hours. The same exact problem happened. Customer service will not replace a faulty iron, just repair.

Original review: July 18, 2015

I have purchase 3 irons in the past 4 years. The first Rowenta I purchased lasted for years so that's why I went back to Rowenta. I finally realized that Rowenta irons are not as well made as they once were. The last 3 have either leaked everywhere or the cord where it joins the iron keeps switching the iron off. I will not buy another Rowenta. They're not a cheap iron to start with and I expect more than a year's use at that price. Also the instructions were followed, no water left in it and cleaned frequently.

Original review: July 17, 2015

Bought this steamer iron from Williams Sonoma a few years ago. It looked like it did a wonderful job on linens so I bought it. It has always leaked. I tried to use it but it has just gotten worse. I called Rowenta and they said they couldn't do anything as it is out of warranty. I explained to the woman on the line that it has never worked right. She said I would have to send it to a service center and the closest one was in Texas!! Do they realize how much postage it will cost to send this heavy steam iron to Texas?? Would never buy again from this company!! The postage to get it repaired is no doubt would be more than the cost of the repair!!

Original review: July 9, 2015

A few years ago I bought a Rowenta iron at Macy's. It lasted about three years and all of a sudden started leaking and I could not use it anymore. On September 8, 2013, I bought another one DW9150 at Costco. In March 2015 it started turning on and off. It was off for five to ten minutes and then on for one minute. I called the repair company and they told me to bring it to them about 50 miles from where I live, and they told me I have to pay $25 to give me a diagnostic and cost of repairing would depend on the problem, so decided not to have repair. I went to Costco and bought another Rowenta. I thought if this doesn't work, I will give up on Rowenta and buy a different brand. I only ironed a few pieces of clothes and started doing the same thing, on and off, on and off. This time, I did not waited too long, I returned it to Costco. This product is bad, look for a different brand.

Original review: July 6, 2015

Bought a Rowenta Focus iron 3 years ago and it recently started leaking. It was past its warranty so I took the bottom panel off to see what was happening. Couldn't see a source at first, even after filling it with tap water to see if there were any cracks. Then I noticed an end cap for two wires. It had spots of black plastic-y material on it that was the same as the sealant for the water tank. The end cap got heated up because of the wires it was holding. The heat melts the sealant and it leaks. When you turn it off, it cools and stops leaking. Of course by then the bottom panel, where the electrical cord runs through, is filled with water. You can't always check the innards in case you void your warranty so just be careful when buying irons.

Rowenta Steam Irons Company Information