Ring vs. Brinks
Find Home Alarm and Security Systems near you
What is the difference between Ring and Brinks?
Both Ring and Brinks are home security companies that let you monitor your home through an app on your smart device. The two companies differ in regards to price, Wi-Fi dependence, professional installation and contract length. Ring is the cheaper of the two, has no cellular backup and requires no contract, while Brinks offers professional installation and is 4G-powered.
Installation and cost
|Installation type||DIY or professional via X Line||Professional|
|Installation fee||None if DIY||$200 to $450|
|Upfront cost||Equipment ranges from $60 to $1,010||$199 to $699|
|Trial period||30-day free trial of Ring Protect Plus||30-day risk-free|
|Contract terms||None; discount for prepaying annually||36 months|
|DIY or professional via X Line||None if DIY||Equipment ranges from $60 to $1,010||30-day free trial of Ring Protect Plus||None; discount for prepaying annually|
|Professional||$200 to $450||$199 to $699||30-day risk-free||36 months|
Monitoring plans and pricing
|Monitoring price range||Free self monitoring; $3 to $10/month for professional monitoring||$39.99 to $49.99/month|
|Monitoring options||Professional or self-monitored||Professional|
|Upgraded self-monitoring||$3/month to store recorded video||Not offered|
|24/7 professional monitoring||$10/month||$39.99/month|
|Upgraded professional monitoring||Not offered||$49.99/month|
|Free self monitoring; $3 to $10/month for professional monitoring||Professional or self-monitored||Free||$3/month to store recorded video||$10/month||Not offered|
|$39.99 to $49.99/month||Professional||Not offered||Not offered||$39.99/month||$49.99/month|
|Wired or wireless?||Both||Wireless|
|Camera options||Indoor and outdoor cameras||Indoor and outdoor cameras|
|Glass break sensor||With Alexa-enabled devices|
|Both||Indoor and outdoor cameras||With Alexa-enabled devices||—|
|Wireless||Indoor and outdoor cameras|
|Garage door control||Works with Chamberlain garage door openers||—|
|—||Works with Chamberlain garage door openers||—|
|Mobile app monitoring|
|Notification/alert options||Push||Push and text|
|Home automation capabilities|
|Other integrations||Honeywell and Alexa-enabled devices||Apple TV|
|4.5||3.7||Push||Honeywell and Alexa-enabled devices|
|3.8||2.9||Push and text||Apple TV|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||1.8||2.6|
|Verified customer reviews||Ring reviews||Brinks reviews|
All information accurate as of publishing date.
Founded by Amazon, Ring is a new, affordable security system that lets you monitor your home or business remotely from your phone, tablet or computer. Although Ring systems are among the least expensive and easiest to use on the market, Ring is completely dependent on Wi-Fi and has no professional installation options. The products Ring offers let you control your lights and locks remotely. Ring has several voice integration features, including Google Assistant, Alexa and Apple HomeKit.
- Ring Protect Free: This plan includes motion-activation notifications, video streaming, intercom features and theft protection for life. There is no cost for Ring Protect Free, and you cannot record video with this plan.
- Ring Protect Basic: The Ring Protect Basic package offers all the features of Ring Protect Free but adds coverage for one camera and the ability to save and share videos.
- Ring Protect Plus: This package offers all the features of the Free and Basic plans but adds coverage for all recording devices at a particular address. The cost of Ring Protect Plus is $10 a month.
What Ring customers say
Ring customers describe the system as easy to install and easy to use. Many say they like the pricing of the equipment and that it helps them feel safe. Some customers describe issues with camera connectivity, but overall, reviewers say the devices work as promised and deliver clear video picture quality.
Founded in 1859, Brinks is a well-known, well-established security company that offers professionally installed home alarm systems as well as easy, DIY security kits. Although Brinks customer service and products have good reviews, all Brinks customers must sign a three-year contract, and cancellation is difficult. The products Brinks currently offers have excellent smart-home capabilities that let you control your lights, locks and thermostat remotely.
- Smart Security Essential: This package includes a color LCD panel, smart-home integrations, pet-immune motion sensors and video footage of your home. The cost of Smart Security Essential is $39.99 a month.
- Smart Security Complete: This package offers all the same features as the Essential package, but it adds the ability to record video. The cost of Smart Security Complete is $44.99 a month.
- Smart Security Ultimate: This package offers the same features as the Essential and Complete plans but includes more sensors and professional installation. The cost of Smart Security Ultimate is $49.99 a month.
What Brinks customers say
Customer reviews describe the Brinks team as professional, polite and friendly. Overall, customers seem to be happy with the system. It’s worth noting that issues about the time it takes to resolve issues do pop up in reviews.
Bottom line: Ring or Brinks?
Currently, Ring is one of the cheapest options on the market. Though Brinks has high-quality products and well-reviewed customer service, it is hard to justify the price when there are more inexpensive options like Ring on the market.
Still, customers in remote areas may need to go with Brinks. Ring security systems do not have cellular backup if the Wi-Fi goes down. That could create big problems for those with unpredictable service or those without Wi-Fi access. If you need your system professionally installed, Brinks is the only one of the two with installation services.
- Ring is best for customers who want the lowest price with no contracts and self-monitoring.
- Brinks is best for people who want to work with an established security business and need cellular backup in case of spotty Wi-Fi.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.