1.13/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 17, 2017

291 Republic Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Paid the service through August. Called to cancel the service two weeks before the end of August (before the new bill cycle). In October, received a bill asking to pay $104, $66 for the service, $33 for taking their trash cans back, and $5 for late payment charge. Sent a couple of inquiry emails asking for justification of these charges, as no service in September, not written information whatsoever in their contract, quarterly bill, or their website about the trash can return fee, and the bill I got is the first one after the cancellation (where is late fee coming from?). They didn't reply to me, instead, sent a letter stating that if I don't pay $104 within 10 days, they will take collection action or other legal action!

After sent other email, finally, they replied to me that $66 is for trash can pick up fee, $33 for each. They did not tell me what is the legal base for this charge. They charge their leaving customer at their will. Therefore, if you are looking for a trash company, and considering this company, think again, again and again, because this time they charge $66, next time they could charge $660 at their will. Who knows. There should have a class action suit against this company sooner or later, as many similar complaints have been posted.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Truly this company is very incompetent. Since this is the only trash pick up service which should actually be against the law for a monopoly we have no choice. Paid with homeowners’ taxes so that we cannot hold their pay for noncompliance of their agreement to pick up trash when date of pick up has arrived. My choice would be to put these incompetent people out of business and get others who could actually do the job. I had called them 5 times. That is 5 times in 3 days for pickup of trash, do you think they could do it? NO they could not. Ignorant company to say the least. I will try to get the payment out of my taxes and take care of my own trash, at least then I would know it has been taken care of. Everyone needs to dump their unpicked up trash on owner’s lawn, maybe then he would get his head out of his ** and make sure his employees are doing their job. THEY SUCK!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

We "inherited" Republic Services after our old service with BD Disposal merged with them in 2013. We had always used our own trash cans with BD and continued to do so with Republic for at least a year until one day the garbage collector took our trash cans and dumped them into the garbage truck like they were garbage! I called customer service to complain and they explained that we had to use their cans even though we had been using our own for so long and had no notification whatsoever that we had to switch to their can as a result of the company merger.

Customer service was more than happy to schedule a drop off of their garbage can but when I asked if they could reimburse me for the cost of my personal property that they threw away she basically said no way. As a "favor" she would waive the delivery fee for the new garbage can. Big whoop. They basically stole two of my good Rubbermaid garbage cans that could've been used around our house for other purposes. So over the past few years I have watched the RS garbage collectors drop glass bottles out of the can to be shattered at the end of our driveway, not come at all, and many times leave the can tipped over in the street (I actually saw).

We just switched to another cheaper provider so I called Republic to cancel our service and they were very nice over the phone but never mentioned the $22 can pick up fee that I would later be billed for. After reading reviews here I was expecting a battle when I called Republic to waive the pickup fee. Lo and behold the service rep was very understanding and immediately agreed to waive the pick up fee (we'll see). So for that I am pleased and didn't give them 1 star. But I am still bitter that they wouldn't compensate me for the trash cans they stole. We switched to Cycle Works. Crossing my fingers that they are better. It's only been 3 weeks.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

So I was persuaded by my neighbor to switch to Republic Services because they are cheaper than others. Yes they are but only for a few months till you'll see this extra charges. The big charge is the fuel which I got $28.83. So I decided to call it quits with them and they send me my last bill with charges on every container for $33.00 each container. This company is ripping me off. So beware of them. I wouldn't recommend them at all.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I was charged $174.99 to start with Republic Services back in June. I canceled service the beginning of October and requested them to remove my trash cans. I was told I would get money back because the $174 was prorated. I received a phone call this past week requesting that I pay a bill of $99 for the removal of the trash cans and $8 for one pick up. When I canceled I was never told that there would be a removal fee. I was expecting to get some money back. How is it that it’s $33 per can to drop off and suddenly it’s $49.50 per can to have them removed? This company is full of scum bag leaches. Avoid them! No other company charges to have trash cans dropped off at your residence.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Republic Services?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

NOTICE. I believe, ever since Republic began colluding with the criminals who run the City of Los Angeles, their service is truly garage. They have nearly doubled their rates and have created a monopoly on the waste business in this area. They do not pick up on the contracted days and when I call them to fulfill their obligation they offer placebos and lies to get you off the phone, then do nothing.

They do not pick up, they have broken my loading ramp, and I have excess horse manure building up. If I miss a payment they charge an extra $35 for "service interruption" and don't pick up anyway. It's part of their "Pay Extra, Give Less Promotion" where the customer gets screwed at higher prices. Since the City of Los Angeles has blessed and enforced their monopoly, the public will be trained to love their abuser and suffer higher prices and bad service, while they laugh all the way to the bank. Republic causes harm, damage, loss to me. I will enforce my case with records, photos, documents, video, audio recordings and other proof.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I ordered new services, containers never arrived. Went with Waste Management, who are just great. Then Republic bills me for services I never received, call them and fixed it. A few months later another bill. Customer services is terrible too! Do your homework and find another trash company.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I signed up for service with Republic Services 1 month ago. At that time the representative I spoke with agreed to waive the cart delivery fee after I explained to him that none of the other haulers in this area charge this fee and I told them that if they insisted upon this fee I would simply set up service with a different company. He agreed to waive this fee to get me to sign up for service with Republic. I did so under the understanding that there would be no fee for cart delivery. I taped the phone call setting up service as did Republic.

Today I received a bill for $30.82 for cart delivery. When I contacted Republic Services I again taped the call and I spoke with an extremely rude employee who told me that they did not ever waive the cart fee and that the person who set up service had no authority to waive it. I told this person I had taped the previous call and had the employee who signed me up for service stating on 3 separate occasions that there would be no charge for cart delivery. She informed me that Republic also records all calls. I told her that then it should be easy to find out that I had been told the cart delivery fee would be waived. I asked to speak with a supervisor and left a phone number. No supervisor bothered to return my call. This company lies to customers and I have contacted the office that licenses garbage haulers in the city where I live. I would encourage others to avoid this company and, if you must deal with them, record your calls as they are not honest.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Republic Services continues to miss our second p/u, call their customer service and they always don't do what they say they will do. They schedule a p/u for the next day but they never do. This have been happening for about 1 month and a half.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Contractors were hired to change our entire sidings and roof. They rented a dumpster from Republic Services. Project was done on October 2nd. They called it in on the 3rd. Dumpster was left for over TWO WEEKS in the ally, giving the neighborhood an opportunity to dump trash, debris, small and huge furniture, mattresses, etc. you name it, in and around the dumpster. I called them on the 16th and was told they would pick it up the next day. Made no sense when project was down two weeks ago! They didn't show up. Contractors called and was told they'd pick it up on the 18th. Nope, no show either!! They FINALLY grabbed it today, October 20th!!! Left all the trash behind. Now, we have to call the city to deal with this issue. Don't ever use this pathetic company. You've been warned.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

One star review b/c no stars was not an option. Republic Services self admittedly operates like a cable company. At least that was the excuse my customer service agent gave me for why my total Republic trash and recycling service bill has doubled in 2 years. I do not even have the history of payments prior to that but I can only assume that it has been happening the whole time I have had my service - 5 years.

Fuel increases are variable costs, but my actual base price has been hiked almost every billing cycle with no explanation. They offered to roll it back, but only partially, which is peculiar b/c they admitted that new customers get better rates. So basically, loyal customers who religiously pay their bills on time via autopay are not appreciated by this business.

I found it unnerving that a partial rollback was supposed to feel like a favor, despite the fact that they couldn't explain the increase to begin with. It was when I questioned this I got the response, "Well, that is how the cable companies do it too," as if that was somehow a justifiable answer. The truth is, cable companies are notorious for this type of thing, but even they don't gouge me as much or as consistently as my trash provider.

Does anyone else think this should be illegal? I guess my only option is to cancel the service & switch providers. If that doesn't work out and I return to Republic, at least maybe I will get the "new customer" rate and an option to "lock in the price without additional fees for 2 years" like it says on the website. At the very least, Republic could hire customer service agents that don't sound like a deer in headlights when a customer asks a viable question about the ridiculous unexplainable price increases. The blase attitude was the equivalent of saying "too bad, so sad." Ridiculous.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Republic Services was our business trash hauler for a while. Whenever they would miss a pickup, customer service was horrible. But, worse than that, when the city mandated that we change from Republic to Waste Management, even though Waste Management collects our retail businesses trash, Republic continues to bill us and then has been harassing us with continual phone calls and past due notices with interest and late payments, despite the fact that we have emailed proof of our payments to Waste Management.

We have called innumerable times but the customer service rep today, Ed **, said he saw no notes in our account and insisted we owed them money. I sent him the proof I had sent Jennifer but he didn't respond. This company is unethical. It is obvious that they are trying to intimidate us into paying them money we don't owe because no matter how many times we call and tell them our situation, the harassment begins again. I will begin filing formal complaints tomorrow. The constant waking up of sleeping people and interference with our peaceful enjoyment of our lives is intolerable.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

We have requested our dumpster to be picked up for ages!!! Have since been treated with the utmost disrespect! A driver called us TWICE at 3:00 am! Debiting funds from our account without authorization. Just an overall headache to deal with!!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

6 days waiting and 12 phone calls and no cares given. These customer service members tell you what you want to hear to get off the phone and they don't really send the truck. Waited for 6 days to get my trash picked up! No supervisor in charge and no one cares. They really just don't care.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I have tried since Friday to get my recycled waste picked up. Our Normal trash day is Thursday. The driver failed to pick up a recycled waste and therefore Friday morning I called to ask them to schedule us to pick it up. I was told they would pick it up Friday and at latest they would pick it up Monday. They never came. I called this morning Tuesday to ask them when they would be here to pick it up, and was told by customer service that they would be here Tuesday, today, to get it. I have yet to have my trash picked up.

I talk to a 3rd person today and she tells me that it will not get picked up until tomorrow Wednesday as the waste has to have 24 hours notice! Then I asked to speak to a supervisor. I was told she noted this and that I wanted to speak to someone. I asked when? Thinking I would be transferred. Nope. 24 hours and they will call back... This is the 2nd time this has happened. We are not able to use another service. They are horrible. Oh did I mention we were the only home that did not have waste picked up.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Every month skip service end of the month and get answer from customer care, "I can schedule for you but, can't give you money back coz we can still pick it up." Mean they are going to pick it up in next month and wanna skip service but, don't wanna give money back for those services which they didn't GAVE.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

We had used Republic Services for many years at 3 different homes all within Bucks County PA and we’re very pleased with their service. But every quarter when we got our new invoice we rolled our eyes at the constant price increases; plus the administration fees and the fuel/environmental recovery fee. I called several times over the years and complained which did absolutely no good. This past August I went out to collect our cans and saw my next door neighbor who told me that they paid $89 per quarter and I had just received our bill for $148! For exactly the same number of pickups! I called Republic that morning and was told there was nothing that they could do, so I cancelled our service and asked if there was any balance on the bill (it was 2 wks into the new quarter), to which I was told 'no', nothing that he could see. Thank you and please have your cans picked up.

That started a barrage of collection calls and bills for past due amounts which was finally zeroed out after 3 different conversations with Torrie on their Customer Service Team. Now I have a bill for $92.05 including $33 per can (2) plus admin and fuel recovery fees for them to pick up their cans. This company is dishonest, deceptive and secretive about their pricing and policies. Save yourself a lot of aggravation and find a local company. Republic is too big to care about a dissatisfied customer.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I called eight months ago just giving them a heads up that I would be canceling my services soon being that I would become unemployed, I asked them to notate my account giving notice. I called in August to ask about fees that I would be responsible for. Left an email for a Barbara "supervisor". She said I would have to write letter so she could forward to higher up. She asked me to lie and put on letter that these changes were temporary. I explained to her that I didn't feel comfortable lying and I would just put on my letter that I was unemployed and therefore was needing to terminate services, (mind you I had been with them for more than 4 yrs and technically I was not under contract anymore), she said she would contact me with response. She never did.

Someone came to pick up the dumpster on Sep 10th or possibly sooner, so I decided to call her. No response, I left her msgs. No response, I emailed her. No response, finally I called the main cs number and someone said that approval for termination was approved, and I would receive final bill. I usually pay on the 14th of each month and I still hadn't received anything so again I called last week spoke with a cs rep and she said final bill was not ready that I would be receiving it shortly, but did see charges for August of 162$, dumpster pickup 125$ and the month of September. So I ask for a discount on dumpster pickup or right off on that and she said she would have someone call me back.

Guess who called. BARBARA, she said she would not lower balance and that would be final bill. I asked why they were charging a full month for Sep, she said they were only charging $40ish and remaining balance was from late charges, fuel charges etc. So tell me WHY are you charging me all these extra charges when dumpster was picked up in middle of September... they are not customer service friendly and money hungry! I would reconsider doing business with them, and read your contract, you are Tied to an additional 36 month agreement after your 2 yrs contract. Unless you give a six month advance notice!!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

We decided to cancel our service and go with another company after discovering that we could pay less than half as much and get TWO pickups a week with a competitor. We had been with Republic Waste for about 12 years. During the recent bad weather they missed picking up for two weeks straight. When I called to cancel I was told that we would have to pay a $45 charge for them to pick up our can. I offered to deliver the can somewhere, but was told that wasn't possible. I pointed out that they had failed to pick up our trash for two weeks that we had PAID IN ADVANCE this month, and they should get the can for no charge, and that was met with total silence at the end of the line. Avoid them, you can do better.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Took them 2 weeks to deliver dumpster and every time we called there was a new excuse. Finally got dumpster delivered, we were supposed to have weekly pick up. Weekly very quickly turned into once a month pick up even though we were being billed for weekly. Again every time we called we got a new excuse. Final straw was when my husband called Monday the 19th and was told they would be there by 5:30 to pick trash up. Never showed. We called, demanded a full refund and the dumpster to be picked up. We were informed that the supervisor would call us back within 48 hours. Well here we are a week later, many calls later but never any calls back. We get home today to the dumpster gone but half the garbage was left behind on our lawn. Worst company you can ever deal with.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I live in a rural area, the ONLY company that will service my residence is Republic Waste. From the first phone call I made to them setting up my account I received horrible customer service. Was told I would receive waste containers... Never did (because my neighborhood does not get them). Why I was told I would receive them... I have no idea. Besides this, I learned very quick that I have to keep my garbage cans at the end of my driveway AT ALL TIMES because they don't come on the assigned garbage days. They come whenever they want. I didn't get my trash picked up for a week and along came hurricane Irma... Cans still full and garbage truck never came leaving me with 10 days of trash during a hurricane. Then I get a bill for triple what my bill is suppose to be and when I call and talk to a representative he has no idea why and cannot help me. If there was an option for 0 stars this is what I would rate this company.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Similar issues as described below. They stopped billing me, then used it as an excuse to close the account and charge me fees to reinstate it - which I didn't do. CGS is cheaper. I called Republic three times to clear up the issue, thinking it was taken care of each time, but they never fixed the issue. I dropped my landline and switched to my cell, but they wouldn't make the change. Bills started going to the ex for some reason (our divorce was well over a year ago so why switch now?) and after three calls, they wouldn't change the billing address back. They kept my money so I kept my can. Republic Services is a joke. Don't use these crooks. Better, cheaper options are out there.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I have called this business 3 times and my landlord has called an additional time to complain about the time this company picks up trash. Multiple times it's picked up at 4am, 4:36am, 5am, and today 5:36 am. The pickup is at a cleaner's American Cleaners in Watson Road but the dumpster backs up to a residential complex. I would think there is a law about waking people up to pick up trash. They need to wait until 7am. I'm thoroughly disgusted with the lack of results from this company and I'm sick of being woken every Tuesday for them to pick up trash.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

We cancelled service in July prior to our next billing cycle... Then they charged us a 5.00 late fee for God who knows what. Now they are charging us an additional 97.00 for removal of their waste cans that we were renting monthly... That they never informed us we would have to pay for them to pick up their containers!!! Downright criminals. Stay away from this company!! Many cheaper mom and pop services out there who provide better service for a way cheaper fee.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I initially asked them for a 40 Yard Dumpster at a location. The dumpster never reached on the said time. It took forever for them to place a dumpster on the location. The workers came and since they were without a dumpster they did not do any work and I had to pay them for the whole day. I had to call them again and again. Then once the job was finished I asked them to remove the dumpster, again they took forever to pick it up. For almost 2 months the dumpster was just sitting at the location for no reason.

Neighbors started to dump their stuff too in it. Adding more injury to my wound, they confused my invoice with my order at another location. It took forever to explain it to them and mess around with correct amount of money due; one time they will say a particular amount, then later they will say otherwise. They will waste your precious time on the phone. You will call them again and again and they will not resolve your issue. Absolutely waste of time company. I will never ever recommend you this company. There are other good one out there.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

OMG, where to begin. First of all, my ex wife had the trash bill in her name only, so when she moved out after our divorce, she left an unpaid balance of $90. I called Republic Services to start new service in my name with a new account number. They said ok and after a week they suspended my service and said I had an unpaid balance of $90. I argued with several different people including a supervisor named Christine in the Phoenix AZ call center and headquarters.

They took me to a collection agency with my name only and said I owed $151. I paid all the money at once and they still haven't returned my container and they still haven't reopened my account. They did all this to me because it was for my address even though my ex wife was responsible for the bill before she moved. I was responsible for the mortgage, she paid the utilities. This place has serious issues and every time I called I got someone different who would always tell me something different that didn't make sense. This company needs to be reported and investigated by the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

They came door to door and offered a deal. I had adequate service with them for 2 years. After always paying my bill on time and cancelling service they want another $162.04 from me. Now I have bill collectors contacting me. The yard service was about $130 for the season Apr. thru Nov. I cancelled in March, they said I was under "contract" for another month which put me 1 week into yard service. They want to collect for the entire season, and then about $30 service charge to pick up their containers.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

We had been very responsible customers of Republic Service since 2011. We paid our quarterly bills on time without a single day delay. We had to move to another city due to new job and we listed our house for sale. Republic Services were sending bills quarterly and we still were paying our bill even though we were not getting service from them. Because we didn't want to cancel the service before the house is sold. After we paid three months advance bill (Feb, March & April) in January 2016, they stopped billing us afterward and we didn't even notice that they were not billing us.

All of a sudden, we got a letter requesting to pay $151.25 from a collection agency on July 28, 2017. This was a shock to me. Because they themselves stopped billing and in addition they never try to contact us by the cell phone they were using to call us in the past. In addition, we were paying $74 quarterly and so I didn't understand how they came up with the above figure. I contacted them by phone and they were not helpful. I sent email twice, they didn't respond to it. I am paying the whole amount today as I don't want to have a dent on my credit history due to such horrible customer service.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

To make a LONG story short, I signed up with Republic Services in 2012 and my bill for a 4 yd. dumpster was about $100 a month. At the beginning of 2017 my monthly charge had gone up to almost $175 a month. After many, many minutes on hold and many promises to lower my rate and promises of faxing a new contract I finally gave up and contacted a different trash company.

I sent Republic Services a registered letter requesting that they pick up their dumpster on Aug. 31. They didn't pick it up and now they are saying they can't pick it up for a couple more days. I have never dealt with a more unethical and dishonest company. I don't know how they can stay in business. I would strongly recommend that people do not do business with this company.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

Republic Services forgot to pick up a dumpster at a rental house down the road from me and six months later, it was still there. When the new tenant moved in, he asked that the dumpster be retrieved. The geniuses at Republic instead picked up MY dumpster down the road as they had lost any record of the previous dumpster, leaving that one still sitting, overflowing with trash. When my husband called to ask what the deal was, he was informed that even though it was technically Republic's fault, he would need to pay up the bill and also pay two months in advance "for a new service". So instead of righting their wrong and acknowledging their screw-up, it apparently was actually our fault that they can't keep track of their dumpsters. This is not the first issue that I've had with Republic and their horrible customer service. Mostly I am disappointed that I even bothered to give them another chance and allowed this to occur.

Republic Services Company Information