2.69/5

Need a utility company?

Need a utility company?

571 Republic Services Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 16, 2019

I just moved into my new house on May 14th and they dropped of cans that week. Sent me a bill and have never picked up my trash yet. Have called in every week and still have not picked up as of today. If I did not have the ability to take trash to work my home would be a mess. Please pick a different company. Horrible in every way after hours on the phone.

Original review: June 8, 2019

Republic Services is very sporadic in their pickups. Their recycling service is very unreliable. Recently they started missing regular garbage pickup. Not just our house, but the entire street. In fact everyone in the eastern part of our county is missing a garbage pickup. Customer service does not seem to care.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I have went weeks without my trash being serviced and each time I spoke with customer service they were not apologetic at all. It was always different excuse. Today I spoke with customer service again about my bill and my experience and she would only overtalk me and disregard my concerns. She stated dryly what do I want because, "It's nothing I can do for you." I asked for a supervisor and she quickly said one wasn't available but she was more than happy to put in a complaint on my behalf. Do not use this business. I've never been so disrespected by a company as I was today.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I started service in August 2018 and have had nothing but problems since then. The drivers come to your neighborhood and just seem to miss picking up the trash. The customer service reps lie to you and the supervisors don't want to work so will not get on the phone or call you back. If I could give zero stars this would be how I would rate this company. I guess since this company thinks there is no competition so they don't care if a customer complains are how they do the job. I guess no one in the state cares either, just ok with their citizens being treated like this and lack of service.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I started service in March and was told service wAs 29 dollars a month plus a one time 50 dollar bin delivery fee. My first bill came in at 145 dollars! I called them to work it out, was give an insincere apology and told that the fees were to remain as they were the same across the board. My Mom uses this same service and said she never paid that much. I asked to make a payment arrangement and was told they didn’t do that and just to pay on the bill each month. So, I paid 40-50 dollars each mon and each month my bills remained around 140 dollars due to fees applied to my account. Then they disconnected service with no notice and sent me a reconnect bill of 224 dollars! Do not use this company!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Republic Services?

Original review: June 4, 2019

I had to file a missed trash/recycle pick up nearly every week. Wait times for customer service are always "higher than expected" and customer service is rarely helpful. Finally got so fed up with this company that I canceled service and had to pay $90 to cancel because apparently it cost $30 per bin to collect bins plus fuel costs and administrative fees. This company is a hassle, a waste of time and a waste of money.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I had many years ago signed up with Republic Services 6-8 years ago. When a couple of years into the contract and constant increase of charges I decide to switch companies and go with a local company that values its customers. I have the new containers dropped off only to be told by Republic Services that my contract will have to be satisfied for the duration or time left on the contract. Now this contract business must be wishy washy as I do not ever remember signing a contract, outside of setting up service with them. I had signed nothing. Well I had to call the new company and they didn't have to but came back and picked up their containers and did not charge me either for the drop off or pick up of their containers.

Well earlier this year after I found out that they no longer have contracts. I quickly called the local in city and state refuse company and setup with them. The only drawback was I had to wait for the first week of the month for my new canisters were to come. I called the old company and cancelled service due to missed pickups and rising costs that no one would explain or wanted to explain. They would pick up their containers on the very same day as the new company would be delivering theirs. My trash was stacking up in the garage just so the old company couldn't say they dumped my trash as all of their canisters were on the curb for pick up. The old company thinks I did not see what the trash truck driver did, he stopped by the trash cans and lifted them into the trash hopper and set them back down. Joke was on them. Their canisters were all on the curb empty awaiting for pick up by their service trucks.

About 1 month later I get a bill for 145.00 dollars that was to cover the next 3 months. After 6-8 calls to this company, I finally got an answer that the original charges $45.00 was for container removal and since I did not respond to any phone calls or letters sent to me demanding payment, late fees were added. I told the lady, "First off those are your containers not mine, second I fired your company after I paid my final payment. Thirdly I refuse to pay you one more dollar and you will never see that money coming to your company."

Your service is lousy, customer service is a joke, and no one ever calls back when you complain. You'd be better off going with a company that treat its customers like your family. I have EDCO now and wished I took their service years ago. They offer good service, and they listen to your complaints or compliments. EDCO is family owned. They even have services I have never heard of which is getting rid of bulk items which is part of your service agreement and just asked the about what can be picked up and how often can these bulk items be picked up.

Original review: May 30, 2019

These folks are not picking up the trash like they use to. Driver is horrible and needs to be replaced. Planning to file complaint through the city and county as well as 2 family members in govt. Tire of calling these people over their horrible service.

Original review: May 29, 2019

This company went up on their trash pickup to almost 800 a year, that is completely too much, for trash pickup??? Come on... Then when we cancelled the service after years of having them as trash pickup, they sent a pickup truck and picked up their can, ONE CAN, they sent me a bill for picking up THEIR TRASH CAN.. Will not pay it, they can send me all the bills they like, turn me over to collection agency, do not care. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY, Republic Services.

Original review: May 29, 2019

Working with Republic Service has been an ongoing nightmare for the past 2 years. I rented a house in a community that did not recycle so I opened an account with Republic. About a year after living in this community they decided to start recycling so I cancelled my account, got a refund for the remainder of the year and I thought I was in the clear. I have since received about 6 bills asking for additional payment. I have called and spoken to a different person each time and each time told they saw my account was closed and that they would remove the charge. Fast forward to my 7th call last night when the new customer service rep told me I was being charged for never returning my recycling bin. I said that I just kept using it every week when recycling came since my community started paying for it. The lady understood and said she would take care of it.

This morning I receive a call from another rep saying that I owe them money for this recycling bin. I havent lived in this community for a year, I left the bin there since it was now a part of the community (I thought) and they want me to go back to the new owners / renter I dont know and ask them to give me a stranger the bin so that I can return it to Republic. This is absurd. If they wanted the bin back, it was out on the curb every week on recycling day, they could have taken it, or refused to pick up my recycling, I dont know. But I do not feel that this charge is relevant anymore. I didnt steal the bin, I kept using it, they had many opportunities to come get it but they are saying it was never outside. I am beyond frustrated and will do everything I can to never use this company again.

Original review: May 29, 2019

This company in southern Virginia is the worse company. I’ve never had such bad service from anyone in the whole world. It took over a month just to get a trash can and since I’ve received the can only one pickup and nothing in three weeks. No pickups. So $90 paid already for trash service and can drop off and only about five pickups in two months of service. Although their customer service phone service is nice what they say they are doing doesn’t get done like picking up your trash. So think twice before even considering this company because trash not pick up 'cause animals breaking bags and the stink of old trash build up around your driveway. Why they stay in business in this area a wonder. I will try the competition and always share my bad service receive by this company. That doesn’t even deserve a one star out of five. Concerned ex-customer

Original review: May 29, 2019

We were with this company for a couple years. Frequently, they left trash in the bottom of our can, and there was always trash blown around our yard after they picked up. Sometimes they'd delay for no apparent reason. And every year they gave us a significant price hike with no warning. So we finally found an alternative and canceled our service with them.

Our service ended when April ended. They then sent us some very large bills. They are claiming they have canceled our service for non-payment and are charging us a fee for that. They also claim they can charge us a container retrieval fee, even though they never retrieved a container from us, because we always used our own container. And they are trying to charge us for the month of May, even though we canceled before May. I attempted to contact them twice about these mistakes, and they have ignored my communications. Instead, they sent me a nasty gram with threats of a collections agency.

Original review: May 28, 2019

Several months in a row of skipped trash pickup. Called Republic each time and reported the issue. They guaranteed that trash would be picked up the next day... then the next... then the next. Trash never was picked up until the following week. Each time, the representative read a canned speech explaining that there were new drivers assigned to my route and that the skipped trash would be picked up. Never happened.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Being a customer for a year I would have experienced nothing but problems with them. They took three weeks to get a can out to my house. They bill a month ahead of time and they expect it to be paid. They're all so rude and they want to explain how they like to do business. Well I'm a consumer doing business with them and I don't like to do business their way so they literally came and took my 4 yarder away, made me re-sign a contract and now I'm on the third day of waiting for my for your order to be returned by a mister. Warren in the service department I guess has basically told me to go pound sand. They are rude. I do not recommend using them for anything. I contacted waste management and my problems have been solved within 2 hours.

Original review: May 21, 2019

We've had Republic Services since our township switched. They wrongfully charged my acct twice and they were supposed to fix it. As to this date after 3 call in attempts that they are having management take the charges off, the issue still is not fixed. Every month, they refuse to take my garbage because it's showing that I owe money. This company is "garbage".

Original review: May 20, 2019

I moved from Michigan to Ohio and had to select a trash removal company. After researching online I choose Republic Services for my trash/recycling. I set the account up online and was told my monthly bill would be $34.50 for the trash/recycling bundle. I was also told when my bins would be dropped off. Well my bins never came - so I had to call into customer service and after 2 separate calls - I finally received my bins. They were supposed to drop off 1 recycling and 1 trash can - however they dropped off 2 trash cans. So I called customer service again and they came out and replaced the bin... and then charged me a $30 fee for swapping out the containers which was their mistake to begin with. I had to call again to get this fee removed and to also get my bill corrected as it was more than double the charge for monthly service.

I was given the operations manager name - Paul **. I contacted him and he wanted another chance to make it right. So I gave them another chance - multiple chances really. Every time an invoice came out - I had to call as it was more than double the charges. After this last month's bill - which was also more than double my monthly charge - I was fed up and just cancelled out my service. I went with Rumpke and that is the company I should have gone with in the beginning. I live in a new construction sub where everyone will be selecting trash service - and I will make sure they all know to go with Rumpke and NOT with Republic. I am so disappointed in the service I have received with this company and that they did nothing to rectify any of their mistakes. I dont usually write reviews for any company unless the service is outstanding or extremely bad. I hope this helps somebody in their selection for trash removal.

Original review: May 17, 2019

We just had a pick up done and the while picking up the trash can with the container grabber/clamp a couple of trash bags fell on the ground. The driver got off the truck and threw the bags back into my trash can. I thought he would go back into his truck and pick up my trash can with the clamp once again and dump the 2 bags into the truck. Instead he looked towards my house and saw if anyone was looking and just walked back into his truck and drove away.

I've always felt sorry for any service related job (mailman, trash, recycle, courier service) where people work in all sorts of weather to help us. I've always tried to be a good citizen and keep bottles of water, a little snacks, or given holiday gifts to such workers. After seeing what happened today, I don't think I will ever keep anything to help Republic trash service employees. While I know it is going to affect another republic employee who may be innocent, I just don't think they deserve it.

Republic needs to wake up and ask their employees to do a better job. Maybe they just don't pay them well enough or treat them well enough hence the employees don't work well enough... Unfortunately in our area we don't have any other choice of trash service else I would have switched companies. The one star I gave also does not qualify them for a star rating (even though the one star says "very dissatisfied with the experience). They are a trash service company with trashy business ethics.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Republic Services in Hall County Georgia is an unreliable company. We were with them for several years, and recently terminated service with them due to missed pickups and blatantly deceitful customer service practices. Our trash and recycling was left to sit at the curb for weeks, and their so-called 'customer service representatives' apparently have no problem making promises they know will not be kept. We fired them weeks ago, but there are other homes in our subdivision whose trash has been sitting at the curb for at least two to three weeks. We are telling our neighbors to do the same thing we have already done - fire them and go with another company. Republic Services needs a wake-up call that they are not the only sanitation service operating in our area - provide the service customers are paying for, or get out of the business.

Original review: May 16, 2019

My garbage can was damaged by the automated garbage truck... The garbage can was set down so hard that it broke a wheel off. I request a new can (exchange) and it was delivered very quickly; but then I get billed on 04/22/19. I call Republic Services on 04/23/19 and they agree it is their fault and will issue a credit. On 05/10/19 my credit card gets charged and I call them back. Once again, they agree it is their fault and tell me a refund will be credited to my credit card.

On 05/16/19 the refund has not occurred so I call back and for the THIRD time I am told they agree it is their fault and will issue a refund to my credit card. But this time I ask to talk to that "supervisor" who they keep saying they are sending the request to and then I am told the supervisor sends it back to them to get it verified that it is their fault. So I ask to talk to THAT supervisor. The agent tells me that I can't talk to THAT supervisor but can be put in a hold queue until someone (in authority) can help me. The queue wait wasn't long and I was once again told that they agree it is their fault and a credit will be issued.

I respond, it is already on my credit card so I want a refund posted to my credit card not a credit to my Republic Services account! But I am told they can only issue a credit to my account. So I ask if I can see that credit on my online account right now? I am told I have to wait 24 to 48 hours for the credit to post. I am upset but really do not have much recourse to counter Republic Services's incompetence. However, I will enter a dispute with my credit card company in 48 hours if Republic Services breaks a 4th promise.

Original review: May 16, 2019

So I retired after twenty years of service. At the time I retired I went to my manager who at the time was Matt **. I asked him when I needed to start paying for service and he said, "Never. You have worked 20 years and you earned free garbage service for life." I thanked him and now all of a sudden I got a bill and they're taking my free service away. I retired in July 2017. I understand they are picking up cans from people who were fired. I get that. But I earned this benefit and still have not been properly explained why. Pretty damn chicken ** to me. Especially when no one had the balls to contact me and explain. Gary **

Original review: May 15, 2019

We were with Chef Container (CC) then Republic Services (RS) bought them. RS records showed I had 1 trash, 1 recycle and 1 yard. I had 2 yard with CC so called RS to correct their info. A year later they billed me for 2 trash, 1 yard. After 3 calls to correct their info, I CANCELLED. Summary: Stupid CS people just should not be involved in business. They don’t listen!

Original review: May 14, 2019

Republic Services raised my bill 21% overnight. I called to inquire. They wouldn't budge. I cancelled my policy with them 2 weeks later. Costs may be going up ... but people, 21% is absurd! Do you get a 21% pay increase? People are lucky to get 3% pay increases ... and we are supposed to absorb a 21% trash haul increase.

Two things to note:
      1. Their stock has increased 142% in the past five years. They are huge and care more about shareholders than customers or I wouldn't be writing this.

2. Find a neighbor and split the garbage service with them, if you can. Most don't need HUGE bins every week. Cut costs by 50%. Use Waste Mgmt Or other local/regional supplier ... but not Republic Services.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Republic Services bought Wabash Valley, my trash co several years ago. They raise their rates every billing cycle until you call. Then they roll them back only to raise them again. I cancelled my service with them for this reason and another disposal co is now available in my area for half the price. Now they keep billing me for debt that I do not owe. Also they turned me into a debt collector. They can't send me a bill of the detailed charges and every time I've called the charges are for different fees but remains 110$. Stay away from this co if you can.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Needed a waste container for horse manure and yard trimmings. Got a reasonable price over the phone which lured us in. The price was correct on the first bill, but the rep failed to mention the drop off or setup fee, Admin fee, fuel fee, environmental fee, & recovery fee. These fluctuated over the next 20+ months. Then they jacked up the price without warning! The base price of my service went up 28.8% in one month! The other fees are based on a percentage of the base price so the entire bill increased exponentially. I called to verify with the apathetic rep and was told that this is the way it is. I retorted that this was unsatisfactory and poor form as for as customer service goes. No reaction from the rep.

I said that the company could pick up the container at the end of the cycle. I was going to find another way to deal with my situation rather than deal with this arrogant company. They picked up the container as scheduled last month. I received a customer service phone call about my cancelation of the service. This must have been a third party service as I stated all of these reason for quitting them and the response was very non-emotional or energetic. I went back and read other reviews and now realize why there was a lack of enthusiasm. Many are very negative! My fault for not seeing this in the first place. Bottom line - DO NOT USE REPUBLIC SERVICES FOR A RESIDENTIAL WASTE CONTAINER!

Update: I just received the final bill from these poor excuses for a service. All of the other fees were charged to me, as expected, and they added a container removal fee which is way over 50% of the service charge. What a joke. I have since purchased a dump trailer and will haul my own waste. This will probably pay for itself in a couple of years.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Do Not Do Business With This Company. My elderly boss who is an owner of a small business began service with Republic in 2010. He has been a faithful customer who has paid every bill on time. However when he signed a contract for 139 a month for service and never one time was the bill under 300 and when I finally had enough they were charging this elderly man 769 a month for the same once a week pickup. This is unacceptable. There is no reason in the world he should have been singled out and charged this abhorrent amount simply because he wasn’t calling and complaining. When I canceled the service I did so with a certified letter and gave them 30 days. The account manager called and told me I was locked into the contract til 2022. I canceled the contract two days too late during the renewal time which I had no knowledge of whatsoever.

After speaking with my local representative I was informed of a law that went into effect that would not allow them to continue to renew the contract without resigning. After the first rollover they are refusing to let this man go even though the canister is long gone. I will not allow them to take advantage of him any longer it is despicable. After going over all the invoices from the last 6 years and comparing it to the new Rae in the contract they were trying to get us to sign last week. He has been overcharged by over 18,000 just in the last 6 years. Shame shame on you Republic. You would think a company would care about their customers. This one does not. They will screw you every chance they can. RUN RUN screaming away from this place.

Original review: May 9, 2019

You never know IF they will pick up your garbage on time. WHEN they don't (NOT IF) they have nothing but excuses and give you no results. You have to ASK for a refund, where they submit your "request" for a refund for "Approval". I cancelled my services with them and they charged me to pick up THEIR trash cans as a "SERVICE". DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!! They will rip you off and their lack of service is outrageous.

Original review: May 6, 2019

This company sucks. One morning they passed by my house and didn't get my trash. My bill was paid up to date. I called and said they would come back the next day. One day they were just sitting in front of my house looking at it. I opened the door and asked could I help them. They said I called for a pickup. The date was a year ago, which brings me to this question. Why do I have to call for pickup of grass bags? If you have a certain day to get regular trash, why not have a certain date for the other trash? WHY IS THAT HARD TO COMPREHEND?! No one could answer that.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Republic container washed into pond. I called for pick up (I removed from pond, wasn't mine). Adv they wanted to bill me, finally said they would pick up, had date set 04/01/19. NO SHOW, then told April 15th (no show) called, said be there next day, NO SHOW. Called again, told May 31. Totally unacceptable, their trash container littering our pond.

Original review: May 3, 2019

1) Poor management - every time I sent emails to Lauren asking for questions or updates, I rarely got the responses from her. Even voicemails got ignored. She is horrible with follow up and she is rarely in her office so phone calls usually went to her voicemails and even so, she never called back.

2) I was overcharged in the beginning for several months - 2 containers and 1 pickup a week cost me over $500 and that did not sound right. My sister also owns a retail center and she does not pay that much even though she has 3 containers and two pickups a week. After several emails complaining, the base price was reduced.

3) You have many hidden fees and none of this was communicated up front either verbally or in the contract. An example of this is recovery fees and most recent, I was charged for trash too full last month.

4) Trash pickups were not scheduled several times but I still got billed for the full amount. My tenants complained and I had to hire contractors to empty them and paid them $120 each time. The driver just did not show up.

5) Wrong size of container - supposedly I have 2 of 8-cubic yard containers but one of them is a 6-cubic yard. However, I still get charged for 2 full sized containers.

Original review: May 1, 2019

The service is absolutely horrible. I called for months to discuss the outrageous prices and no one would call me back until after they rolled me over into another 3 year contract and now they refuse to move their dumpsters from my business and are telling me I have to pay for the amount of a 3 year contract that I never agreed to. Do not sign with this company unless you want to get scammed.

Republic Services Company Information