1.09/5
Based on 123 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a utility company?

Republic Services

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 19, 2018

319 Republic Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I had been a customer for 2 years with Republic and finally decided to look elsewhere due to inflating prices. In the 2 years as a customer my bill went up over $25 per cycle. Also when you call to cancel they play that game of let's try and lower your bill to keep you, I despise these tactics because that only signifies to me that you do not value your current customers. If there is a lower price I could pay you should offer it to me regardless. Anyways when you cancel they then bill you for a trash can removal fee plus their infamous environmental fee. Republic is all about fees. My new trash service is much cheaper and has no fees that Republic is famous for. Best decision I could have made!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Do not rent a dumpster with this company, it is the worst experience that my family and I had. They have really bad customer service, every time you call is someone else on the phone and they want to create a new account and charge you again, there is no communication in its customer service dept. Managers do not solve you any dumpster's problems, any overcharge problem they overcharged us, they have a lot of hidden fee. When you order a dumpster, they promise 24 hours dumpster p/u and it takes about a week for any dumpster p/u, we have to put our construction on hold because of them. DO NOT RENT A DUMSPTER WITH THIS COMPANY. YOU WILL BE SORRY.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Missed pick ups, trash taken out of can and left on side of road, terrible customer service and unbelievably high prices for all this. You can never speak to a real person because they leave you on hold for over a half an hour at the least. As a person with a job, it is impossible for me to stay on hold like that for several times a day. When you email them a complaint they tell you to call if you want to register a complaint. Unbelievably poor customer service. Cancelled service and was told I had to pay a retrieval fee for the can. I argued this point and was told that I would not have to pay. Then got a bill for the retrieval of the can and service that we did not receive... because we did not have the can! Most people in my neighborhood are leaving this company for a more reliable and cost effective company. One that we can actually contact with relatively ease. How does this place stay in business?

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I was charged and I have paid over $8600 just for garbage on my 7-unit rental property. A larger (11 unit) place in Inglewood is charging me $3600 for the same size bin. Is there anyone who can look into this and hold Republic Services accountable for this?! I have called them every month for the past year to see why it is so high. I am told someone will look into it and call me back. I'm still waiting!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I am very unhappy with Republic Waste. Our pickup day is Monday and today is Tuesday at 8:45 pm and they never showed. This has been happening every week for over a month. I understand holidays, but this obviously isn't the case! I have trash that needs out of my house and nowhere to put it! What are they doing? Btw, I saw them at 1 pm today a couple blocks away. Why didn't they make it here in 5 hours?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Republic Services?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I contacted Republic Services several weeks before moving from my home in Missouri to my new home in Alabama to make arrangement for my final bill. I was told nothing about a fee for picking up my waste container at my old residence. Almost two months later I received a bill for $32.60 for the removal of this waste container. I think this is an ridiculous charge and if they are going to charge for this I think this is an excessive amount. I was a customer for 7 years and endured their high fees and ever increasing prices for services without complaining. If I would have known I was going to be charged this fee as a final insult I would have loaded this container in my truck and delivered it to them. Generally mediocre services at best and extremely high prices. Never any warning about the price increase. They just surprise you on your bill. Hopefully this will be the last I will hear from them.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Had Republic Services for 10+ years... Service for trash collection has steadily declined over the past year. Service was skipped over the holidays, I was fed up and finally cancelled today...not only do they charge DOUBLE what other trash services charge, they are charging $36/container to pick them up?? There is nothing documented on the bills and no contract to notify customers that they charge a pick-fee for their containers. Absolutely unprofessional and a complete rip-off.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Cannot manage to pick up recycle bins on time. This is an ongoing issue. They could care less. Today I come home to find all my bins completely blocking my driveway. This company is a monopoly in this area, we have no other choice. They know it, so why should they care about anything except collecting their fees? We can't cancel and use another service. We had other choices, these sob's bought them all out. They are simply BULLIES.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Extremely poor to criminal customer service. Canceled my service after many unsubstantiated charges and overbilling. Canceled in December and they refuse to pick up my containers. Have called them twice and they still have not picked them up even though I canceled in December.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

For the 3rd time, Republic has failed to pick up my trash as scheduled and has claimed to have "credited" my account. NO, they haven't. They have either increased my fees or this time charged me a ridiculous late fee of $8. They do this as a scam to offset their reimbursement and it's total BS. Where is my "late fee" for my garbage sitting there for a week?? WORST and most DISHONEST company out there. Do not trust them.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

Called to set up service. I have neighbors who use them for 3 yard Dumpster pickup. Was told everything was good to go, dumpster would be delivered the following Friday. Friday came and went, no delivery. Called to find out why. A very rude woman told me they don't service my area. I explained to her that I have neighbors that use them. She got really annoyed and put me on hold while she said she would into it.

30 minutes later she came back and said they don't service my area. I ask to speak with her supervisor. After another long hold time, an even ruder woman got on the phone and just said "no". I ask to speak with her boss and was told "no, they don't deal with the public". Later that day, a person from the local office (Chula Vista, CA) called to tell me she was looking into it. After a week of waiting she called and told me "they are discontinuing service to my area". I have talked to others in my area that use them, as far they know, no change is in the future.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I used Republic Services for several years and had no issues with pick-up. Whenever the price went up a little more than I felt was acceptable I would call them, threaten to leave, and they would adjust the price a bit. A few months ago I received a letter stating that they wanted all customers to sign a three-year contract, noting that prices would rise but we would at least know in advance. I figured this was a good time to shop around and I am glad I did. I was paying $103.00 every two months for two large carts and weekly pick-up for both garbage and recycling. I found a company that provided the same sized carts and the same pick-up schedule for $58.00 including all fees.

When I called Republic to cancel they tried pretty hard to get me to stay. I was actually impressed with how low their price went but they still couldn't match the price from the other company. They wanted to know who I went with and I told them they could call around since there were only five other licensed trash haulers in my city. I will say that Republic had a lower price for yard waste pick up but I don't use that service. I have been very satisfied with my new service and the lower payment.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Before I use other company pick up my restaurant trash 3y only 120. But right now city requires only Republic Services. Prices no choices. Whatever they said double price 216. But this month 2018 1. See my bill turned to 223. No choices.

Updated on 01/12/2018: Now no the others company services pick up. Only Republic Services. The price belongs to Republic Services. Whenever can raise prices.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I received an online bill for 51.40 that told me a due date of December 20 and I made the payment the 19. On the 18 they did a lien and charged me 210. They won’t reverse. My bill said December 20 not the 18. It’s a scam... Ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Republic Services, who was no longer retained as the municipal refuse company for our village, erroneously invoiced my family for services after their contract expired. My wife and I received an invoice (in July) for July through October, which my wife subsequently paid. Albeit the fact our bill from Republic Services was only $70, my wife in good faith, made the payment in the usual fashion. What is worse than the fact that Republic Services sending us an invoice for service we didn’t receive, is the abysmal customer service they offer, and no resolution to refund the moneys we are owed. Again, we are only talking one billing cycle of services we were incorrectly billed for, but here we are 12/10/17 and still Republic Services is holding onto my money. I find this unacceptable. How many other people in Lake in the Hills did this happen to?

I have made at least 2 calls to Republic Services, and my wife at least another 2. Between phone calls and emails, we have made 6 attempts to reach Republic Services. Email/contact requests are not answered timely or at all, and on phone calls we are given the run-around, where time after time they promise the refund is coming. Each time we call, the timeline of refunds due is pushed back further and further. Now, I am willing to accept ½ of the responsibility for making this payment to Republic Services. I personally, should have been more on top of it, and intercepted the bill prior to it being paid. However, I am on Active Duty with the US Air Force, and currently deployed to the Middle East. With all the other stresses going on at home prior to deployment, this one slipped past me.

I did catch it at a later date when my wife and I were going through our monthly expenditure, and that’s how this whole situation started. If I hadn’t caught the bill we wrongly paid, how much longer would this have continued? At this point, I no longer know what to do. My wife and I feel a full refund of these charges is not unreasonable, but we’re rapidly approaching a point where just a refund is unacceptable. I feel a formal apology is necessary, along with a full audit on their part to ensure and guarantee no other LITH resident is in this situation. After all, Republic Services’ website boasts their 5 essential core values – be respectful, Responsible, Reliable, Resourceful and Relentless.

Their website further states they are a passionate and professional team who keep their customers at the heart of it all. Would you ever want to do business with Republic Services again, after hearing what I am going through? I personally am glad our village is no longer doing business with Republic Services. I remind you – I am currently deployed to the Middle East and dealing with this while away from my family over the Holidays. Lastly, in closing, I want you to know I am not a coward nor a keyboard warrior hiding behind an email address, but more rather a genuinely upset and very concerned member of the public who has serious issues with the way Republic Services has behaved and is currently treating people who they owe money. If only I had access to Republic Services CEO directly, I would copy him/her on this email. Allow me to Thank You for any help you can offer me in this situation.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017 Wish I could give them 0 stars (this was Auburn, MA office). I used them for 3 months and was so dissatisfied that I quit. Worst company/customer service ever.

They told me they would waive the start fee to deliver the trash cans. Got a bill for this, and called. Told me not to pay it as they resolved it. Then got another bill and threat to cancel my service. Called, and they said they had no record of doing this/my calls and so would not honor waiving the fee.

They delivered cans with recycling label on larger standard trash container and trash label on smaller standard recycling container with green lid. As a result, get much less trash hauled away each week (about 3 bags). Called to rectify and was told that's how they do it. Green indicates recycling. They do it to have to take away less trash. Have had trash fall out of their truck and then had to clean it up on my road.

Told me cancellation was $50, now suddenly with only 3 months use they said it will cost me $60 plus fees coming to $85. What company charges you to cancel service AND doesn't provide prorated reimbursement for prepaid services? SO yes, for three months of use, am having to pay almost $200 for starting/stopping service and crappy service. The whole thing has been a scam. At this point, I am literally paying just to stop having to deal with them. Much easier to just take my trash to the dump. Please stay away and learn from my mistake.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

This all happened within the last two weeks. 1st call (Sat 12/2) - Called to set up service. Spoke with a very pleasant person who promised me that my trash would be picked up Monday. No pickup then, no pickup on the next pickup day (Thursday), and no cans were delivered. 2nd call - Talked to a snarky person who said that my account had not been set up, that she would send the information to accounting, that it would take ANOTHER 5 days to set up my account. I asked her to put me through to someone in escalations, which she wouldn't. She said she would pass my information to the escalations team. I told her that if no one called me that day, I would cancel.

3rd call - Talked to a very pleasant man, and because he was so nice, I decided to go ahead with the service. He said he would schedule a special pickup for the next day. You guessed it... no pickup. 4th call - Called to cancel. Spoke with someone who would not put me through to a manager because "the manager would tell me the same thing she did." She also claimed that she had no numbers for the regional office. Between the 4th call (AM) and the 5th call (afternoon), the cans were delivered. 5th call - Representative told me that the earliest date that she could schedule a pickup of the cans that should never have been delivered was 5 days from now! I escalated to a manager (yes, you can do that), who said she would speak to someone about getting the cans picked up sooner. My guess - the cans will still be sitting there on Christmas.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

After getting a huge increase in my bill in late October, I called the company and asked for an explanation. I had been charged an administrative fee that according to the person to whom I spoke, had been a mistake. I checked my bill again and my bill was the same. I called again, and this time I was assured that I would get a credit in my next billing cycle. Then I decided to cancel my service. The lady to whom I spoke was kind and followed all the necessary steps to cancel my service, but NEVER mentioned that I would be charged a fee for picking up the trash containers.

To my surprise, I received a paper bill and a couple of calls from Republic Services. At first I thought the company might need some time to update their records, but when I called, I was told that I was being charged 90.39 dollars for picking their own bins! NOWHERE in the service agreement, nor in the company’s website there is a mention of a charge to customers for something that is their entire responsibility. NO OTHER company in Delaware would impose such charges. After doing some research I found out that I am not the only one suffering this abuse. But it seems that they charge different amounts at their entire discretion. I am demanding the same treatment they have given to others costumers whose charges had been completely removed.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

They never pick up the trash when they are supposed to. It's been a week and no trash pickup. One day they drove right by my house and never picked up anyone's trash on the entire block. This company is horrible. When you call all you get is talking heads that accomplish nothing. We need to get together and demand the city council that hired these buffoons to get another company!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

The City of Los Angeles is now using only select contractors for commercial trash pick up and it is a disaster. We are stuck with Republic now with no choice to change services and they are obviously overwhelmed with the changes and have not been picking up our trash after numerous calls. I cannot blame the people that work there. Seems like poor planning on part of the city of LA. Many businesses and commercial properties are suffering without trash pick up. We got billed double of the previous service provider but they do not know who is on first when we call. This is a borderline health hazard because the trash does not get picked up and by law, the other trash services cannot service us.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I'm a disabled Veteran and do all my billing paperless online from the computer because it's just easier for me than walking to the mailbox and opening invoices every month collecting trash. I pay all my bills at the start of each month on the 1st since this is when I'm issued my disability deposit. I've been a homeowner since mid-2013 and have made the effort to pay all my bills on-time, every month, for the past 4 years. Republic Services, in my opinion, has a very odd way of invoicing every 2-3 months, but as usual I would log on to see if a bill was due every month, pay it and move-on to the next.

Well, come to find out after a recent conversation with Republic Services, the "$3.64" I've been paying every billing cycle going back FOUR YEARS is actually a late fee being incurred because from the time an invoice is generated, to the time the 1st of the month comes rolling around, my bill has been considered "late". I was horrified when I heard this information. Horrified because, all this time I simply assumed this was a part of my normal bill cycle and was happily paying it. NOWHERE on their online payment portal does it state, "Late Fee". Nowhere. UNLESS you manage to expertly navigate their website like a wizard, click on the downloadable invoice PDF, and open it up on your computer. Then, you'll see the fine print, 'Late Fee - $3.64'. I never download invoices to my computer, much less open them up, for any bill I pay.

Some things to note about this horrible setup Republic Services has going on: ONE: Republic Services will not allow you to "adjust" your billing cycle. Since I pay all my bills on the 1st, they will NOT adjust my bill so I can pay my bill on the 1st within the courtesy timeframe they offer before being charged a late fee. TWO: When Republic Services generates an invoice, it does NOT show up online for you to pay on the same day. Sometimes I've noticed, it takes upwards of a WEEK before the invoice appears allowing you to pay. Therefore, the dilemma is, if you're given a 15-20 day grace period to make a payment before receiving a late fee, how can you make a payment when the invoice isn't actually clickable, viewable, or available for you to pay it in the first place? It seems very very shady, almost done on purpose.

THREE: They harass you to setup auto-pay to avoid future problems such as this. Well, there wouldn't be a problem if your system actually worked as intended from a customer’s viewpoint simply trying to pay their bills on-time each month. And, if your system relayed information that let the customer know, "Hey, this payment is late and you're being charged a late free". Alas, nowhere does it say or alert you. Not even in the automatic e-mails.

I spoke to a supervisor last month regarding all of this information and he assured me that my late fees would be refunded, however, fast forward over a month and I still haven't seen a refund. I called in again today to find out where the refund was and the representative told me there's nothing in the system nor in the notes that mentions a refund. Wow, so great, I was lied to now? Supposedly, she (the representative today) submitted for a refund with all of this information. I'm not expecting one at this point.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Billing is a nightmare! Ridiculous charges. After they couldn't pick up recycling without numerous phone calls I cancelled that service, they billed me for picking up container. I called again, and they removed that charge. The bill was a mess for the 1st 9 months, more than what I'd been told, didn't credit payment to account. Finally cancelled altogether and got another $24 charge to pick up their container. Why would I pay them to pick up their own property? Joke. Horrible company to deal with.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

The city of LA decided to change the trash company from Athens services to Republic services, since I started the service with them they charge me double the price of my previous company forcing me to have the recycling blue bin and charge me extra on that and they charge double penalty fees since probably they didn't have access to the bins. Of course not because I have small space and they force me to take another blue container.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I had Republic Services trash removal for years and no complaints until I cancelled service. I just got a bill for $92 to pick up the two trash cans that I had. $33 each, plus a $5.25 administrative fee plus a $20.75 environmental fee. This is ridiculous! Nothing about any type of fee like this was mentioned when I signed up for service. When I called to cancel, they were very nice, told me when the cans would be picked up, but NOTHING ABOUT A $92 fee. Calls to the local office didn't help.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I ordered service on Oct. 18th 2017. Supposed to be around 50-60 dollars a quarter. I get a bill for 96.00. What is added was administration fees and fuel costs equaling out to the 96.00. Then I get a second bill for a total of 166.00. This is the 96.00 + a total of 70.00 to deliver my garbage can, 49.00 to deliver and the remaining of the 70.00 for admin fees and fuel charges. I cancelled this service and now they are going to charge me to pick up the can. So, One month of service is going to cost me over 200.00. What a con business. They do not give you all the information on the charges you are going to be billed for. I ended up with a service that only charges me 60.00 a quarter and no hidden fees. Be careful with these strong armed robbers. Poor business.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I was being charged $315 per quarter for trash pick up twice a week. I have been a very loyal customer of theirs for 18 years. My neighbor and I were talking about the new service that the township is offering and he said he hoped it doesn't cost us more than $115 he is currently paying. When I said $115!!? He said, “Yes” and showed me his bill. I called Republic Services and they told me that I was on an old pricing schedule and that my neighbor who moved into the neighborhood six years ago got a price of $115 because at the time there was a new competitive rate being offered because of the competition going on in town. The rep told me for what I am currently paying, he can get me collection for the entire year. I have to wonder how many other customers were ripped off by this company. If there was a new rate, it should have been offered to everyone.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

Canceled my Republic service to change to another trash company and was charged $33 container removal fee per container AND administration fee $5.25 AND Total fuel environmental recovery fee of $21.44. Total cost to cancel service is $92.69. Customer service representative confirmed the cost of cancellation. What??? This is a warning to new customers. Find another trash service.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

Dumps oil on the streets every time they pick up residential trash. Damages the streets the environment and leaves nasty looking stains in front of everyone's home. Then people drive through it and it ends up in their driveways and garages. Made several complaints to the company, the county, and government officials and no one cares, personally I believe they are dumping deliberately since it's every single pickup!! Putting this out there for all to see. Additionally the customer service is horrible and confused. Sounds like they read from a cue card. Waste Management was in this area prior and never an issue in 23 years.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Paid the service through August. Called to cancel the service two weeks before the end of August (before the new bill cycle). In October, received a bill asking to pay $104, $66 for the service, $33 for taking their trash cans back, and $5 for late payment charge. Sent a couple of inquiry emails asking for justification of these charges, as no service in September, not written information whatsoever in their contract, quarterly bill, or their website about the trash can return fee, and the bill I got is the first one after the cancellation (where is late fee coming from?). They didn't reply to me, instead, sent a letter stating that if I don't pay $104 within 10 days, they will take collection action or other legal action!

After sent other email, finally, they replied to me that $66 is for trash can pick up fee, $33 for each. They did not tell me what is the legal base for this charge. They charge their leaving customer at their will. Therefore, if you are looking for a trash company, and considering this company, think again, again and again, because this time they charge $66, next time they could charge $660 at their will. Who knows. There should have a class action suit against this company sooner or later, as many similar complaints have been posted.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Truly this company is very incompetent. Since this is the only trash pick up service which should actually be against the law for a monopoly we have no choice. Paid with homeowners’ taxes so that we cannot hold their pay for noncompliance of their agreement to pick up trash when date of pick up has arrived. My choice would be to put these incompetent people out of business and get others who could actually do the job. I had called them 5 times. That is 5 times in 3 days for pickup of trash, do you think they could do it? NO they could not. Ignorant company to say the least. I will try to get the payment out of my taxes and take care of my own trash, at least then I would know it has been taken care of. Everyone needs to dump their unpicked up trash on owner’s lawn, maybe then he would get his head out of his ** and make sure his employees are doing their job. THEY SUCK!!!

Republic Services Company Information

Formerly Named:
    Republic Services - Waste Management
    www.republicservices.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use