Republic Services

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

In November my online account had a zero balance correctly since I pay ON TIME quarterly. In December it added 78.43 (which included late fees/admin fees) and a charge of 63.18. All of which was wrong since payment wasn't due until January 4, 2017. And total read 144.43. Called 12/17 and after many questions not being answered. Was told it was being taken care of. Was told system only updates once a month which turns out to be wrong since on 12/26 called again and told it was taken care of. 12/29 finally takes off another 66.00 leaving 113.43. Regular quarterly payment posts on 1/6/17. But still leaving the charges of 50.25 still owing.

Called again and was told credits hadn't been processed. Asked how come each time I call they tell me it is being taken care of and credits done. Got a hard time and told again it had just been entered. Asked why was I told for almost 2 months it was taken care of. Was then asked nastily if that was all I needed. So now after 2 discontinue notices and all these charges that seem to come out of the air account still shows balance of 50.25 and customer service is not even cordial. Told them each time I call I am told it is clear and taken care of and then it continues. Have never seen a customer service that is this rude. I asked was I the only one their system was doing this to. No response. Horrible customer service.

We have had Republic Services for about a year or so. We have never had any real problems other than drivers driving way too fast down our street. Until recently... The week following the Christmas holiday (so you know we had a lot of trash) my husband and I set the trash out at 430am that morning of our service thinking it was a normal trash day. So Wednesday came and went and our trash still stood (Now mind you, we live rural where there are lots of wild animals that would love to get into our trash. Not to mention it is colder than you know know what out here...NW Wisconsin). So we looked at our schedule and thought that maybe since we had a holiday on Sunday that they were running a day late. So we called and got someone in AZ I believe who reassured us that we were on the schedule and that they would pick up that day.

We waited and still no pick up so we called again. This time we got someone in NC advising us that would be picking our garbage up on Friday (Now our trash in the house is running over because we have no place to put it outside). So again we waited. At about 10am we called again just to be guaranteed pick up by 12noon.

Needless to say 12 noon came and went, at about 5pm we called again. This time my husband had had enough and was very upset and let the person on the phone know as much. This person proceeded to tell my husband that with the correspondence over the email between locations that we were said to be a no show with our can. So basically whoever came to get our trash said that our trash was not out on the curb. This was a flat out lie. That can had been out there for 3 full days. My husband let them know as much and continued to let him know that they had just lost our business to their competitors. This all could have been avoided but I do not appreciate being lied to, giving the runaround and then being called a liar.

They try to find anything to raise the price or charge you for stupid things like refreshing dumpster. $9 each. They raise the price and we have to keep calling them to change the rate. They charged us $55 extra because there was some trash over the line which was ridiculous. They don't give us no money back when it's empty. They should have called just us to inform us some bags were over the line we could have just stuffed, pushed down back in instead of charging $55. They are money-hungers. You want to get screwed than get this service. WE are canceling our service once our contract is over. Ridiculous company. I wished if I had looked at the reviews before. I wish there was negative star.

After the worst service imaginable, like having to call every week for the compost pick up, being instructed to haul more than ten bags to the front and then the back and then still no pick up, to be punctuated by eight days of calls end of season with no pick up of mounds of leaves, being told to wait for next year, I cancelled service. I wasn't a customer for a full year. Now, 21 months after canceling, I can't get them to stop calling me about holiday pick up changes and emailing me the same. Emails, calls, receiving assurance it would end only followed by their repeated harassment of calls. I've now contacted my state Attorney General and reported them to the Federal "Do Not Call" registry. I've never received such horrible service. Oh and they charge to have their bins removed! Never use them!

Of course, once contracted the company can do anything or nothing for their consumers, with no recourse available to the customer. Now, as there are no alternatives, my only recourse is to put what I believe is this useless post, and petition my town to change their contract. I think this will be to no avail anyway.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Republic Services?

My account was cancelled by mistake. Clearly an error on their part. They took the trash and the can. I thought the can was stolen. My account was closed by mistake. They had to reinstate my account. After 8 calls and 3 weeks later, still no can... 8 calls... I called and told the supervisor if I don't have a can out in 24 hours, I will pack the truck and drop the trash on your door step. I'm holding for a response.

We received email from them regarding declined payment, then call them try to make sure the payment method is right. Sandy - hang up two times and put me on hold for 12 mins. Tasha - so rude!!! Joyce - keeps talking, doesn't want to listen, then hang up my phone call!!! Jay - finally he's the only one tell me what's that email about. He's blame my accent and insist to charge me $3.72 fee which is their mistake. I wish this review able to accept zero star!!!

Consumer Increased Rating!

I am so upset because there is no noticed on the invoice that we receive from Republic Services (RABANCO) that it's possible to cancel/hold (Yard Waste) service during winter or the time when you are not using the Yard Waste Cart. (paying $15.95 each month) They did not even give a service last week to pick up the garbage. Does that mean we get our money back? Need to know how can I get this matter resolved? Thanks.

I have been a customer with this company for over a decade. I called to cancel, finally, because they just kept inflating their prices over and over again. Meanwhile, my service has been mediocre at best, my address hasn't changed, and my trash output hasn't changed. When I cancelled, I was told I would be sent a bill with a pro-rated amount due, since I wasn't going to be using the service for the usual 3 month period. MONTHS later, I am sent a final notice from their "collections department", stating that I have not paid my bill despite "multiple written notices". Really? I have excellent credit and have never been late with a payment in the years I have been with this company. This so called "final notice" was the first bill sent to me. No phone call, no email, nothing certified. Disgusting. I will never do business with this company again.

For my business it was absolutely horrible. They dropped a new container stating the old one was rusted. I talked to the driver who said it was a complimentary. My business was then charged not only $200 for the container but also a high fuel recovery charge. Called and had to fight to get the $200 removed (thought) and the fuel recovery dropped. Never happened. Called back and finally after 45+ minutes received a supervisor. For my personal home service also horrible! Had to cancel. They did not p/u 4 times and then asked for the credit - was told do not give credits.

It pains me to have to provide even a 1 star to complete this review; they are undeserving of any star. This company continuously misses scheduled pickups and does not seem concerned when you contact them to complain. After the 4th missed pickup, my complaint was elevated to corporate. However, I never received a return call and my pickups continued to get missed. Finally, I canceled my services. To date, I am still waiting for them to pick up the trash missed over a week ago, despite 2 phones calls and 2 scheduled pickup dates they have come and gone. I have found a new service but still need for them to pick up what was missed. I don't know how Republic Services stay in business. I have decided to forward my complaint to BBB. Dealing with this company is exhausting!

I'm very disappointed, because when I first signed for the services, I was told that in the case that my company had to close, the fee for the container removal was going to be $50.00. Sadly I had to close my restaurant. I called them and talk to a nice lady in customer service, explaining, that I did not have enough money to pay all the bills, and was closing my restaurant. Republic Services charged me $220.00 to remove the trash container and the recycling container!! It is outrageous. They are located really close to my restaurant. I think they don't care about the customer. Definitely the next time, when I open another restaurant I will find another company.

I've had to call Republic Waste numerous times to have them actually empty the trash receptacle, only to be disappointed the following week during trash pickup. I haven't had any satisfactory answer as to why this happens (for 5 months now) and will look to see if other options are available in this area. Their service is HORRIBLE.

This company services is Horrible. I don't know where to began. They've missed my pickup a few times without notifying me. The reason was they said their workers were running behind and they couldn't pick up until following day and of course that was told to me after I had to call in to them. I also made a payment to them about 3 weeks ago and I was wondering why the payment wasn't drafted out of my bank account yet. And I called the company and the young lady explained to me that my payment was made and I was fine.

I got a letter about a week later stating that they're suspending my services and charge me late fees. Come to find out my payment was processed incorrectly. The young lady and I called my bank to verify that the funds were available at the time I paid my bill and I was told by the young lady that she was waiving the late fees and the suspension and that wasn't done. Today is November 1st. They was supposed to pick up my trash and didn't pick because they just told me when I called that my services was suspended. Again a mistake and the young lady just had to refix the issue again. This company is horrible.

Republic Services raised our monthly fee without any notice, just sent a bill. When I called about it, they said they checked with other local services and needed to raise it to be competitive. I canceled our service and switched to another local service with a price lower than what we previously paid Republic Services and very much lower than what they are now trying to charge people. I was told they would send someone to get the container, but then they sent a bill for doing this. That container was provided as part of our service, for which we paid a monthly fee. If they didn't want to pick it up, we would have kept it. I refuse to pay for them picking up something that belonged to them and was paid for monthly. They are now threatening to send our names to a collection agency. They lied about the local services' prices and they are just out to charge people whatever they can.

Ever since the City of Dickinson contracted with this company life has been hell. They miss pickups, lie about everything, stopped service for no reason, sent a false claim to collection agency, overcharged me, refusing to correct, and now hold the threat of stopping service if overcharge is not paid which will lead to city shutting my water service. Doesn't that sound like extortion? On my last attempt to remedy by phone they hung up on me.

This is the second time since I moved in that they have not picked up my trash. I just moved in. I have boxes. Sometimes I use the boxes as trashcans to put trash in so that the whole thing can go on the truck. Not with these trash divas. If the box is too tall (like 3 feet), they won't take it. If it's heavy (I'm 62 and I put it curbside myself), they won't pick it up. If there's anything that they don't like, they won't take it. If they might break a nail, they won't take it. If it's the wrong color, they won't take it. They are a bunch of lazy trash divas, and when their contract comes up for renewal at our condo, I will recommend that we go with someone else. I'm on the board.

I called them Tuesday 10/4/16 and told them my trash (nor the neighbor across from me) was picked up. She said they would try and get someone there by Wednesday evening. She looked and said the driver said it wasn't at the curb. My can was out there since Saturday evening, I told her that wasn't true and that they just missed our street. Because it was a lie, I made a complaint and someone was to call me back, they haven't. I have an extra can (fairly new) that I just use for clippings. They came by Tuesday evening and crushed the extra can. It was a company with another name and she said it was also theirs and they weren't responsible for my cans. I have put it out before and there was nothing wrong with it. I asked to speak to a supervisor who was suppose to call within 24 hours and again hasn't. When they picked up my can, they left my neighbor's. We are the only two on the block who use them. They stink.

If you are one of the unlucky victims of having to deal with this company I would recommend running as fast as you can to look for other services. Not only do they change service agreements in the middle of the billing cycle they fail to pick up trash and recycle on a regular basis and fail to follow up. When they do pick-up they leave empty cans in the middle of the driveway, in flower beds or worse in the road. Calls to customer service are a waste of time as nothing they promise is ever carried out. The worst part is if they owe you money for any reason they hold it instead of refunding as they promise to do. This is the worse trash removal company by far in the last 30 years that I have had service with. Look at all the BBB complaints!

Since signing with Republic Services Waste Management our nonprofit organization has experienced fraudulent charges, been overcharged, had a rate increase almost every month, went without garbage pick-ups on more several occasion (then they tried to charge extra because they had to pick up on an "off day" to make up for the day THEY missed), have had our driveway and drain pipes damaged by the dumpster driver, have had to twice move the edge of the dumpster off of the road where it was placed (after being dumped) in a very dangerous location to automobile drivers, and have had to pick up trash strewn all the way down the road from the dumpster truck driver's sloppiness. I have called their office numerous times to try to resolve these issues but your hold times of 45 minutes to 1.5 hours are outlandish. (The IRS actually answers the phone faster than Republic Services.)

We tried to switch companies only to find out that we were locked into a 3-year contract. So we decided to downsize the dumpster thinking we would save a little (and also be able to push it out of the road more easily on dumping day). But, switching sizes of dumpsters actually locks you in to a new 3-year contract. We are now in the process of sending a certified letter to the company (which they require) in order to cancel our contract. Republic Services is just one irritating thing after another after another after another. Bottom line - DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

Ending service after 13 years - 10/3/2016 spoke to customer service Shawna and manager Amy. Stopped my service a month ago due to moving out of state. Was told I would receive refund for months not used and then get a bill to remove containers which was never disclosed and we are being billed for it now. Customer service and management were very rude and unprofessional. We have had consistent overcharging billing issues that takes months to clear up, and if you wait for a credit they interrupt your service for nonpayment. They are not willing to work with their customers. I have never been treated so poorly. Also, being charged for pick up of containers that are still at the residence. My advice is to steer clear of them.

Our church canceled service with Republic when their competitor offered to take over the waste service. Unknown to the competitor, they were bidding our service at 1/3 of the cost of Republic. After checking previous bills, I discovered that Republic had been increasing our bill approximately $50 per month for the previous months. I contacted the Republic representative to cancel service, and ended up in an argument in trying to end service and have their container removed. Robert, the rep, stated that ALL charges had been paid-up by us, and that the can would be removed.

During the next three weeks I placed other calls trying to get the can removed, because I did not want to get into an argument on the can being used. Our church is a public place, and people have dropped their trash off into the can when we are not here. Many phone calls, very long wait periods on the phone, a few people that always told me what I wanted to hear and one terse email to Robert... the can was finally removed, and we did receive a bill for that month. I called and informed Republic that we would not be paying it, and they agreed with me.

Today I received a bill for removing the can. $213.01!!! As far as I am concerned Republic is dishonest and conniving in the way that they do business. We entered into a "fixed rate" contract with their competitor, and when I mentioned this to Republic, their response was, "You didn't ask for that!" I didn't ask for it with our new service, but they offered our church, who needs fixed bills due to fluctuating donations, a good deal. Republic just wanted money. I do NOT recommend using this service... even if they are the only one in town.

We are a 55 and older community who signed up for their trash and recycle disposal. We have been loyal customers of theirs for 14 years. Every 3 years we sign a contract with them at a very low rate and it slowly creeps up until it is double what we signed up for. We recently decided to cancel with them and they want to charge us 500 dollars to remove the bin, and $1,270 for "liquidated damages." They are stealing from old people and trying to hold us to a contract that is completely illusory. It's criminal what they are doing. If you do sign a contract, and do not send certified mail to them 60 days before the end of the term, it automatically renews you for another 3 years. Do not fall for it! Do not sign up for them. You will regret it immensely. It is a huge headache to cancel, and a tremendous waste of money.

We were obligated by the city of Dickinson to use this trash company. The rate went up. We had a Very good company with an excellent service Best Waste but the city officials made a good deal with Republic and we keep paying late fees and reconnection fees. Now I am going to have them get it automatically from my account. I live on SSI and we can not be paying this high rates. They are the only authorized company around here. Where can we complain If the city officials and government are getting a cut off this company by not letting other companies take our trash. We have no other choice and they do not pick up the trash as they should. We need other companies around here but city officials won't let them. What can we do?

We recently decided to change trash companies due to cost. When I called to cancel my service they told me I would be billed $30 for them to pick up the trash cans. When I said I would not pay this and just keep the cans, they said I would be billed $100. This is totally outrageous, the trash cans were not even Republic cans. I had also called a few months back to try and lower my payment, I was given one amount and then when I called back to change to that plan was told that price was wrong. Stupid me for staying with them so long.

At the end of July 2016, my trashcan was taken from outside my residence. I called Republic Services to order a new one, and the lady I spoke with was very pleasant and said it was on its way. 2 months, 6 phone calls with 6 different representatives and 1 supervisor later, I still do not have a new trash can. Every time I have called, the representative is very nice, but ultimately not helpful. Allegedly, multiple "cases" have been submitted, but every time I call, they have no record and are "appalled" at how long this process has taken. I have offered to come pick the trash can up myself, but was told "I don't even know where they come from".

This has been a completely absurd and unnecessarily lengthy process when they are at my residence once a week to pick up the rest of my street's trash, and when the representative told me they are in my area each day of the work week so it "shouldn't be a problem". Keep a close eye on your containers... if they mysteriously disappear, it will be a hassle to get a new one. I never even received a recycling bin, but I am so burnt out from the trash can, I won't even pursue that endeavor.

I have had 3 different experiences with this company in the last 3-4 months. The 1st issue happened when I placed trash in front of my home and everything was picked up except one bag... apparently deemed too heavy and not worth picking up. I left it out there and luckily the following pick up day they took it. The second time, I had my trash out in bags and in my trash can and nothing was picked up. All my neighbor's stuff had been taken, except for mine. I called and the first thing the woman on the line asked was how it was out there and how many bags I had in an accusatory tone. I explained and they arranged a pick up.

Most recently, I moved out of my home and left a lot of trash outside but took the time to make sure it was organized in boxes, bags and in my trash can. My neighbor text me that they didn't pick up any of it! I called and explained to the agent I had moved out of state and needed to request pick up since they missed my home again. When I told her there were boxes she said they would not touch any of it because of the boxes (which if this is the case maybe you should do a better job at informing the community of your rules). I asked her if there could be any exception since I am no longer there and can't do anything about it. She flatly said "No, we can't make exceptions." This was upsetting... would they just leave the trash out there indefinitely or wait for it to fall onto someone else's shoulders? So rude and unhelpful!

Stumped and bothered I got off the phone to contact my neighbor which needless to say was an uncomfortable request. Luckily my neighbor was beyond kind enough to bag up my trash. I called today to inform the agent (who based on her voice I believe to be the same as the day before), I told her that my neighbor had bagged the trash and that it was now ready for pick up. I also informed her I called the previous day. She then proceeded to tell me that my scheduled pick up days are Monday and Thursday in my old neighborhood (which thanks... I know, I lived there for a year!).

So I explained again that it wasn't picked up the previous day and my neighbor had bagged it so it didn't have to wait 3 days. She said it would have to wait til Thursday regardless. She wasn't helpful at all and had a snotty tone. I felt like she was annoyed I'd even ask! Between the inability to regularly pick up trash, the rude customer service rep and the inability to be understanding after I moved to a different state, I absolutely rate this company 1 star!

Called several times to resolve billing issues. No follow through, lied to, no follow-up, customer service reps did not care about anything that I had to say. Charged for services not used and charged an enormous amount for container pickup, $55.00 for waste container and $16.50 for recycle container.

I was not pleased when the City of Shakopee, MN changed their trash services to Republic Services. It's been a nightmare from day one!!! The most recent thing that set me off was double charging me (homeowner) and my renters for the same account. They charged my renters who paid in full for a year (awesome) and myself for the same account and services. They never caught this issue and let it go on for 4 MONTHS. I cannot believe someone didn't catch that they were charging two people for the same service on one account?!?!

It has taken over a month now with e-mails and numerous phone calls to get this situation under control and I STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED A CREDIT!! Today was another phone call asking about my credit and where it is? I should not have to babysit a company over a refund, who knows when I will see this refund if ever. DISGUSTED!!!

After about a year and a half, I am disgusted with this company! Never a correct bill, never good customer service! If I could give them lower than one star on this rating, I would! They don't deserve to be in business. They have a contract with the county, so they are the ONLY option! If this were anything other than trash, they would be shut down. I saw in the news today, the State of Washington filed a lawsuit against Comcast for deceitful business practices. Wish our state would look into Republic Services! My only option is to cancel them and haul my own garbage, which I am seriously considering!

Republic Services Company Profile