Republic Services

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have over the last 15 years used Republic Services for my trash removal and never, ever had a problem. If I changed a room around and threw out an old chair, washer, dryer... they took it. Something large, they took it as I paid the higher rate for that privilege. So this week I called as I threw out a couch that I broke up and a chair. They call me back and said "They took the maximum and I have to pay $45 per piece of bulk." I'm like what!!

A year ago you took a large lounger. When it wasn't taken with the regular trash I called and was told as long as I gave a heads up, it was fine and they would send another truck in a couple days because I pay for it. I'm paying a higher rate for that!! She flat out said "No we never, ever did that." Liars... They changed something to my account that I did not catch without notification to me. Still arguing with them. Hoping to find an old copy of invoice in my files to show them I always paid for that privilege of bulk item pick ups.

Cancelled my service. Was told $18 for a trip to pick up 2 trash cans. I was charged $45.90 to pick up them up. $18 for each and $9.90 fuel charge. Almost $50 to pick up trash cans. What a rip off. I cancelled because I was being charged $112 for 3 months of service. I went to a different provider and am being charged under $40 for 3 months. I guess the $45.90 is one last way to stick it to me. I will be talking to all my neighbors with Republic trash service to cancel.

Republic Services took it upon themselves to terminate my service. I did NOT request cancellation, and my bill was NOT late. They simply removed my can on Tuesday, May 2, 2017. After several calls and emails to customer service, they promised they would return my can on Friday, May 5. They failed to do so. I ended up having to establish service with another provider just so I'd have a way to remove garbage from my house. Do yourself a favor. Don't bother with this company. Choose another provider. Choose ANY other provider, because literally anything would be better than a company that throws away loyal, paying customers for no good reason.

On 05/03/2017 I cancelled my home service effective 06/06/17. I was informed at this time by the customer service representative I would be receiving a credit of $23.91 for the remainder of the billing period BUT I would be charged a $33 dollars per container for them pick up their own containers in the total amount of $66 at least at this point as I have not received a bill. I never received any paperwork, contract or anything to indicate I would be paying this amount upon termination of the services. I requested the customer service representative waive the fee. She said she was unable to do so. I said I would be submitting a complaint as I was never informed of a fee being required. She stated "I don't understand why as I just told you now?" If I had known there would be HIDDEN fees such as this, I would have went with another company as Blue Hen services my development and I found out later, they charge 50% less!

I called trash removal services Republic Services which I paid April 14th, 2017 I spoke to Malika. They guarantee me service the following Friday the 21st. They were also putting in request for new trash containers since I did not have one. The trash was never picked up on the 21st. They never left me container. I called back 12 o'clock on the 21st. I spoke to James. He put a note to dispatch asking them to come and get the trash. I asked why I did not have service. He said the person that took the order did not put it in correctly. I asked why I did not get a phone call letting me know. I have two broken ribs and a broken hip. Have a hard time getting the trash out there and would have to bring the trash back to the house due to HOA rules.

I called again Saturday. Another message was put to dispatch. Again trash was not removed. Now it's Monday May 1st. I called at 9 a.m. Spoke to a girl named Terry. She confirmed messages that were sent. I still not received a call back and the trash is still at the end of my driveway. I need her my trash service that I was billed for to be reimbursed for the week that I did not get service and I need my trash picked up.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Republic Services?

My business used Republic Services for years for refuse removal. We were overcharged for a year and a half for a roll-away dumpster that we never had, to the tune of over $2200. When I caught this overcharge, customer service continued to insist that I had this roll away dumpster. After more than 5 phone calls concerning the matter, I finally got someone in Customer Service to admit that we didn't have the dumpster and that the severe overcharge was due to an error by their company.

Still several months after this initial admittance of their record-keeping error, my business has still not received our due refund. I continue to call a couple of times a week and get the runaround from various customer service reps, all with promises to call me back after checking with a supervisor. They all say they see that we are due a refund, but they are not authorized to give me a date I will receive it. Of course, said supervisor is never available anytime I call. This has continued for months. I am beyond frustrated with this whole situation and adamantly discourage any business from using their services. We will never use them again. And, I am considering involving counsel to secure the refund due us.

Our local TV news reported that Republic Services was holding a Spring Clean Up Event in our area on April 10, 2017 and we had to call them for a pick up for that event which included many items including appliances. When I called for a pick up for that event, I spoke to a representative that had absolutely no answers to any of my questions, put me on hold several times to try to find out the answers and in the end did not have any information for me but did schedule a pick up for me. Well, obviously, I did not get a pick up for the Spring Clean Up Event. When I contacted Republic about the matter, I was put on hold twice, only to be told they could no longer pick up the appliance because they were only doing it that one day and that the service they were using for recycling was only for that day's event. Then the representative told me to contact a local appliance dealer and see if they could help me. Disgusted with their customer service.

I wish I had read the reviews on Republic Garbage Services before I signed on with them. I'm on the phone every 2 weeks trying to fix a late charge fee which they supposedly fixed previously, now an unpaid balance and a cancellation of service for the same. My bank statement shows a payment in full has been drawn by them. I been trying to call them but all I get is a recording that they are too busy and to leave a message and would get a callback, not happening. I'm all for canceling this company but I'm concerned as it happened to one reviewer that they will bill a large amount on my property taxes. Now I know these are not honest people or their bookkeeping is negligent at best!!!

Worst customer service ever. Every time I call, no matter what day or what time, you remain on hold for a minimum of 20 minutes or until I get tired and hang up, which, I think is what they want you to do. I cancelled my service and then got a bill for $83.49. $33 each to pick up the trash can and the recycle can, $12.24 for a fuel surcharge and $5.25 for an administrative fee. This is outrageous. I will relate this story every time I talk with someone and the word trash is mentioned.

Basic facts: Always on time. Found cheaper service from local family. Scheduled account cancellation before end of current invoice period. Their container was not picked up until days AFTER it was scheduled and into the next invoice period. Customer Service rep tells me at time of cancellation to disregard invoice. There will be nothing due. So after all this I get a "final invoice" that includes partial credit for the previous invoice. I'm still charged "Administrative Fees" because as the rep told me "that is charged anytime an invoice is generated". Almost $6 just for a computer generated invoice!

So to cancel my account BEFORE the next invoice period I basically had to pay: Container pickup fee for them to get THEIR container. Partial service fee for the period in which THEY left their container past the new invoice period. OH, get this one...a.45 late fee for the invoice I was told to disregard. Administrative fee for this invoice for them to recover THEIR container. Fuel recovery fee. Environmental recovery fee??? It cost almost a full month of service to actually discontinue my service.

Basically, as customer service and satisfaction go, Republic are money grabbers. It appears their major concern is greed and likely because, from my understanding, they are either uncontested in a lot of areas or they are the "big dog" on the block. If I could have given them zero stars, or negative stars, I would have. Speaking with the customer service rep gave me the impression that she had no empathy whatsoever for any of my concerns and was basically saying 'just pay it because we charged you'. If you have the opportunity to choose a more homegrown trash service, even if a little bit more (mine was actually about $1 less a month), I would highly suggest it and if at all possible turn and run from Republic Services. If you've seen the recent commercial with the little girl selling lemonade and charging all the extra fees, well that is just like Republic. Steer clear.

I have been using this company for approximately 14 years for their container service. I had an account that I required 4 dumps per month. I paid them on time for the duration of the required service. I called to cancel my account with a 30-day notice. Initially upon my phone call to cancel service I was told that the container would be picked up (March 30, 2017), and I thought that was the end of it. When the container was not picked up, even several days later that I was told, I place another call to Republic, at which time I was informed I had another 3 years left on my contract because I called to have my monthly service rate reviewed. I had them review it because they increased their rate substantially. The sales rep appropriately reduced my rate slightly, and there was no discussion about a renewed contract. The sales rep they would send me (email) a copy of a contract that I signed which I never received.

Republic continued to send out a truck to dump the empty container. I received only one return phone call from a supervisor that said I was tied into a contract, and the general manager would call me within 24 hours. The call was never returned. I made one final call today 4/17/17 to let them know I have changed my bank account so they would no longer be able to access payments, and I will have the container removed myself if they don't pick it up. I just went online to discover this is a normal practice with cancellations after reading the reviews. There are many container companies out there and if you are thinking of getting one, do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. Republic Services will try to rip you off when you attempt to cancel.

I started the service two years ago at the offer $14/month (pick up once/week). They increased the price every three months. Now it is $24/month. The rate of our local com Laxton Enterprises Inc (Media) is still $14/month. When I canceled the service, they charged extra $32 for picking up their own empty trash cans. And don't try to call them. Average waiting time -- 30 minutes.

I have been complaining to the household waste services that they are illegally pyramiding late fees on my account. This is done by Republic Services by adding an additional late fee for the same payment period in success months such that late fees equal original servicing fees. In the past they also would lien property tax for payment and continue the amount due on their invoicing so that they would and could bill twice for the same service. I'm out hundreds of dollars. A few years back, when I complained, the City of Richmond finance person told them their practice was illegal yet they continue to do this to me and hundreds of other homeowners serviced in Richmond, California. As far as they are concerned, this is a good way to earn extra money and unless they are sued, they won't stop this practice.

We were forced to move from Waste Management to Republic by local county. After the service started, I set up Auto payment to take care of monthly bill in February 2017. Last week I received stop service notice for non-payment. When I log into my account, I see that auto payment is in place. When I called customer service (first attempt: 16 minutes wait, second attempt: 12 minutes) looks like they don't have anyone who actually responds to your call. I don't know what to do. The last letter says that service will be discontinued from next week.

Recently canceled service as I found that Waste Connections was $100 less per month and I wouldn't continually be harassed by the workmen begging for tips and asking why they didn't receive a Xmas gift from the owner of this company. I was fed up, did everything correctly to cancel, sent certified letter asking them to pick the cans and that I wish to cancel service. I gave them 2 months notice. I just received notice that they pulled monies for service I ended. I see this has been a complaint by others as well. They may be more reasonable than many other companies, but don't be sucked into service with them and don't do any long term contracts unless they guarantee on contract that price can not be raised more than a certain percentage within that time period.

As I read through the reviews of Republic, I see the same complaint over and over again... which is the same complaint I have. They seem to think cancelling a service is a way to make more money. I moved into my new home in October. I contacted Republic to start service. I found out that Republic was not one of our preferred service providers in our subdivision, so I called and cancelled. I got invoices for $75 for drop off container, pick up container, partial month service, service fees... and I never did or got anything from them. I cancelled the service before a container ever was delivered. So now after 6 months and 5 phone calls each month, I'm being contacted by a collection agency. How do I stop this insanity? My next step is to contact an attorney, and file harassment charges against them.

I signed a contract with Republic for 1 year and I had the same problems that everyone else on this site had (late OR NO pickup on scheduled days). Even so I kept the account for about 4 years and the original contract started at $65.00 monthly. By the end of the 4 years I was paying $148.00 per month. I Told them to pick up their container since we did not have a contract. The lady told me that I could only end the contract at certain times of the year. I explained that we had a 1 year contract and they should pick up their container because I had another trash service. She refused and told me that they would continue to charge me rental fees on the container. So I had to rent a U-Haul and return their container.

Unreliable service and inconsistent charges. I feel like this garbage service is holding me hostage and it doesn't matter how good my negotiation skills are with Republic. I am still a captive of this trash problem. Our dumpster is always full and I have bags of trash in my garage #HailSeason #Garage4CarsNotTrash. Our alley is in excellent condition and has been every week except one since January. We have been missed more weeks than picked up. I am tired of calling to complain, I cannot stomach any more excuses and I don't need an apology (although one would be nice). I just need a solution to this. I don't see any effort on Republics part to "make this right" and provide us some sort of option. It seems as if because it doesn't affect them on a personal basis they just don't care. Does anyone have any other trash company recommendations?

We canceled our trash & recycle pick up with Republic Services because we got a better rate with a local company. I paid the balance we owed and thought I was done, but then we received another bill of $30.47 to pick up containers. We have switched trash providers before and have never been charged for container drop-off or pick-up fee before. I told them we would not pay this ridiculous fee and the company said they would turn us over to collections if we did not pay. I called Better Business Bureau and they said I could file a complaint but if that is their company policy, there is not a lot we can do about it. We will never do business with this company again!!

I am moving in 4/17. I am paid up to 3/31/17. Received new bill, which goes from Apr. 1 to 6-30-17. I wanted to pay only for the month of April. Customer service said no that I must pay entire bill and wait for a credit minus $66.00 removal fee. I find this absurd. I have been a customer of Republic since they took over from Harvey and Harvey. I started out paying much less. Every bill is higher than the last one, with no explanation. Now it's up to 139.00. If I don't pay their removal fee they will send it to a collection agency. Can't anyone do anything about this. I cancelled service as of 3/30/17 my last pickup date so I am now without trash service until I move. I am in my 70's and my husband is 80 yrs. old. Goes to show how seniors are treated by this co.

Just a bunch of thieves!! Overcharge every chance they get. Worst customer service ever!! And then when they pick up your trash they throw around your cans like they are mad at it!! I can't believe the city made a deal with these scumbags!!

DO NOT USE Republic Waste Services! Cancelled my garbage pickup in January 2016 because there are cheaper services in my area. I had a $75 credit. Republic Services continued to withdraw funds, including an addition $175, even after cancelling online auto withdraw. I spoke to the company on 4 occasions over 2 months to clear up the matter, each time I was assured they would refund my money. They continue to withdraw funds.

I had no issues with them until the time I moved out of my house I was renting and cancelled services out of my name. I moved out on 12/2/16 and cancelled services that day. I was later billed in January for an attempt to collect the recycle bin. I called willing to pay if I needed to, but was told since I cancelled services on 12/2/16 that they would credit my account and I would not owe. I then received a letter from a collections agency on 3/4/17 trying to collect $115 from not paying a bill with Republic Services. I immediately contacted Republic where I spoke with Cecilia and she told me I had a CREDIT of $8.96 on my account and I should have not been sent to a collections agency. She told me she was sending an email while I was on the phone with her to Republic billing dept. and she told me to call back in a couple days.

I called back on 3/9/17 and was told they did not see a credit and "Cecilia" never put notes in on 3/4 or back in January! Since there was no documentation on their end the supervisor told me it is owed and I have to deal with the collections agency. She said she would look into it, but I am sure they will have no record of that either. I paid the $115 to avoid it hitting my credit report, but they have the worst customer service I have experienced.

Raised rates constantly until charging three times the going rate. Cancelled 12 days into billing cycle and received a bill for 102.58. Was charged a full month billing and a 36.00 fee to pick up their own cans.

Dear Blue Ridge Landfill, I would like to thank you for the other morning when my 10-year-old daughter was dry heaving in the car on the way to school because of the noxious gas odor coming from your landfill. Nothing like the smell of diarrhea and gas to wake you up in the morning. I think I speak for all of Shadow Creek when I say that we have had enough. Enough of walking outside and having an odor so offensive that sends you back into your house. Enough of laying in bed at night and wondering if you have a gas leak in your house and then realizing it's just the odor from the landfill seeping into your bedroom. Enough of not being able to walk my dog or take my children to the playground because the outside smells so bad. Shame on you for not fixing this problem long before it's made people physically ill.

Worst company ever. Has to be some of the dumbest drivers I ever met. I have a roll off at apt complex and instead of driver picking up old one full of trash they dropped a new one in front and left old one still full of trash. Had to call customer service which seems to be every week I'm on the phone with them for something a driver doesn't do.

Low price to get you started, changes without you knowing, try to cancel - republic really gets you then (cost you an arm and a leg). If you try and not pay the bill because you disagree, they turn it into effect you credit report within 30 days. This company should be investigated by the state of Michigan. DO NOT LET THESE CROOKS TAKE YOUR MONEY!

This is a "company" that needs to be shut down and ran out of the country. I'm a customer in Wayne County, Michigan. I have a small business and had a dumpster through this garbage company - big mistake! I've had their rusty dumpster out in front of my business for seven years. They claimed I signed a contract with them back in 2010, I don't recall signing any contract with them at all as I don't like to be tied into any sort of legal obligation without any good reason. My monthly charges started out at $58 per month, which has been steadily going up ever since 2010. My last bill in 01/17 was $109 for the month, oh they have it padded with all sorts of erroneous charges like environmental fees, refreshment fee $9? etc.

I tried quitting them a year ago and they never did "call me back". That's what they say when you want to discontinue their fraudulent scammer service, they'll have someone call you, they never call unless you threaten them with legal action. Don't call us, we'll call you BS. I tried quitting them again back in 11/16 and they never called then either. In 01/17 when I threatened them with legal action, one of their snide, sarcastic "account specialists" called and informed me that I couldn't quit as I had a contract with them. They said "we have your signature on it and you're locked in for another three years".

These SCAMMERS roll you in to a contract without your knowledge and renew it every three years without your knowledge and then try to hold you to it, I'm quite sure that is ILLEGAL. I told these people I simply want to quit, they threatened me with the balance of the contract ($3924), I told them what they could do with their contract and we could let a judge decide that if they wish. They said, "well there is a balance on the account for the last month" which they didn't render any trash pickup service whatsoever. I requested that the last month's charges be removed as we weren't using it and I had already informed them of that and for them to come pick up their dumpster. They said they would. They are liars. They did pick the dumpster up in a few days. This morning I open a letter from a collection agency dunning me for the last month. These SOB's turned me over to a collection agency damaging my credit score.

Allied/Republic needs to be investigated by State/Federal authorities for fraudulent business practices. Price-gouging, entrapment and fraud. I should have known with them operating under two different names, they were typical thieves operating under an alias. Judging by the reviews here, they've burnt many people. What are the authorities waiting for? P.S. Just found out the $9/month refreshment fee is for painting the dumpster, the bent up rusty POS dumpster, I was paying $9 a month for them to keep it looking nice? What a joke these people are.

I've been fighting this for one year. They continuously fail to pick up my trash and recycling bin. I put them out the night before. When I go out to see if they're gone they're still sitting here with a junk in them. It is now Wednesday it's still sitting out there. I called, they promise today which is Wednesday. Well I left it outside it's still there with the junk in them. I do have Door to Door Service apparently it's not working. I'm tired of fighting this. I have rheumatoid arthritis. It's very hard for me to maneuver these garbage pails. I wish somebody would straighten this mess out.

If you own multiple properties the billing system is not designed for such unlike water and electricity. At one of my properties with the new garbage system all the houses have to take the cans to the end of the street and then play fetch as the new trucks can not get down the street. They leave stuff behind now. Customer Service is horrible and they just put a lien on your house even if the billing issue is a mistake on the company's side. So basically they got you by the balls. I'm shocked that this system is one the people of Vegas tolerate. I am assuming as the used to Mafia type people running the town.

Republic Services Company Profile