1.18/5
Based on 121 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a utility company?

352 Republic Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 20, 2018

Arvada, Colorado. Worst company!!! Do not hire this company!!! I had them for years. They stopped picking up my trash right after I made my payment of $65.79 in March for the next cycle. The girl on the phone when I finally got ahold of someone said if I didn't like it to go with someone else so I did. She said I would get my refund within 4-6 weeks. Still have not received my refund!!!

Called today to check on it because several of my neighbors said they are still waiting on their refund after many months of waiting so I thought I would call to check. Well the guy on the phone told me he would refund me $30. Lol really. I never got any pickups why not the full amount??? Then he tried to explain why I was missed for the whole month of April. Lol ridiculous!!! I would be ashamed to be associated with this lying company! He said he would have someone call me back today but we all know that ain't gonna happen. Evidently this company doesn't care and who can we complain to get results???

Original review: June 19, 2018

For a solid year they provided good service, but lately we never know when it if our trash will be removed, but they aren't offering refunds. I was just told that they are experiencing a driver shortage and it's out of their control. Since when is staffing your business considered out of your control? Poor management maybe, low wages maybe (I have no idea) but it's definitely manageable. I left Republic and went back to Modern Waste. It might cost more but I need reliable service.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I pay for weekly trash removal by Republic Services but it has been almost 3 weeks with no trash pickup. I call daily and every time I'm told it will be picked up tomorrow, but tomorrow never comes. Now it's the end of the week and they leave a phone message saying it will be another week before the trash will be picked up. When you ask why your trash is not being picked up, you only get a scripted answer "that it is due to unforeseen circumstances". The trash overflows the bucket and the animals are pulling it apart daily it is becoming a health issue. I have already had to bring 3 bags to other family members to have them disposed of. Everyday we struggle to keep it picked up so it isn't flying into the neighbors' yards. You can't pull it back up because you never know when they are coming. It's just ridiculous at this point and no one seems to care about the customer.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I will typically place my own additional 32 gallon yard waste can out on the day yard waste is scheduled to be picked up. For years this has never been a problem. Now within 8-months two of my 32 gallon yard waste cans have disappeared. I don't know what has changed. Fortunately I have a security system with cameras and to my surprise found that the garbage man took them and clearly knew it based on the video. It's unfortunate there was no note or call indicating what happened.

The first time I called and was offered a $15 reimbursement, which barely covered half the cost of purchasing another 32 gallon can. Following the second incident, I called and was told there was nothing they could do other than offering to increase my service, which would increase my bill. I understand I am responsible for my own personal garbage cans. However I am disappointed with there lack of communication and disregard for my garbage can. It's unfortunate, that I can't attach the video to show the obvious disregard.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Beware of their add-on charges. Republic charges extra to pick up appliances and their bill continuously increases. I researched other companies in the area and found Tri-State Disposal will pick up one appliance per week. No extra fees. Decided to switch companies at end of billing cycle and not renew my service with Republic Services. I called to cancel service and Republic Service (lady in office) tells me that there is a $33.00 fee to retrieve their container. I related to her that I don't agree to pay this pick-up fee for Republic to retrieve their own container that I was renting.

I then told the office lady that I would deliver the container to their Crestwood location. She said that self delivery of the container is not an option. I told her that another option was for them to leave the container and it was up to them if they wanted to pick it up or leave it. I then asked how Republic can charge a pick-up fee when they don't offer a location for customer to drop off the containers. She said it's their policy. I then went to website and looked for information in regards to this fee and it isn't available anywhere. Republic uses Gestapo tactics by using this fee to force the customer to keep using Republic Services. Avoid the hassle and go with another company like Tri-State Disposal that doesn't charge extra fees for everything. Especially a cancellation charge.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Republic Services?

Original review: June 8, 2018

Called and setup services earlier this week. Was told service would be started today 6/8/2018. Garbage was never picked up. Called the call center because you can't get to the local office. They will request it's picked up but no guarantees. I asked for a supervisor. After 45 mins on hold I was hung up on. Called back and finally got a supervisor after 20 mins. He said the exact thing the other person did. Me: "Ok get the local site on the phone, them: "Oh we can't. We can only send a message." Me: "Your person set this up and guaranteed pick up for today." Them: "I'm sorry but she told you wrong." Me: "Get someone on the line." Them: "We sent a message. Someone will call you back later before 5 pm." Click. Horrible. Do not put business thru this company.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I am astonished at how this company is still in business. I thought my issue of missed pickups was local, as I was also told by a representative via Twitter, until I read reviews complaining of the same issue across the entire country. I was told that it was my local facility that is having issues and that they are "unforeseen circumstances" but I am now learning this is just an excuse because the same thing is happening nationwide. As another reviewer stated, we were told our pickup was delayed one day due to the Memorial Day holiday and would therefore be picked up on Saturday instead of our normal scheduled day of Friday.

I happened to be having a graduation party as I just completed my Master's program and we're having many guests over, some for the first time ever at our house (we have not been living in this house very long). We kept our trash at the end of our driveway all day despite it being an eyesore and frankly in the way of people trying to park, just to have it never picked up. Needless to say, the trash that was already in the bin plus all of the trash from our party created a huge backup. We just had a missed pickup 2 weeks prior to this, which I was on the phone about for a while.

This is completely ridiculous and unacceptable when people are paying for a service and simply not receiving it with a complete lack of communication part of the whole mix. We are actively working to switch companies as I type this because it is now summer and keeping trash around outside when it's warm (disgusting), having wild animals roaming our neighborhood with trash containing food out in the open (not wise), and/or having it build up in our home is (also disgusting) is not something we feel we should be paying money for.

Original review: June 5, 2018

My elderly mother has garbage pick up from Republic in Bridgewater NJ. I was there recently and arranged to have 10 extra bags of bulk trash picked up from her property. As I type, the bags are still there 8 days later. Oh yes, she was charged $3 a bag. I have called every day for 5 days. Was on hold for 20-30 minutes, then told the pick up was scheduled and then it never happened. Yesterday June 4, I was on hold for 30 minutes, then took advantage of the call back service offered. NO CALL BACK. I gather they are a monopoly in many areas. What will complaining on this site do?

Original review: June 4, 2018

This company is a joke. Called them 2 weeks ago to start new service, but was on hold for over 30 minutes without ever talking to anyone so I hung up. I called back the week of Memorial Day to try to set it up again and spoke to a lady that said she would set it up. After 45 minutes, she said service was set up and the containers would be delivered on Friday. Friday night, we realized there were no containers. I called Saturday, no answer. I called today and after being put on hold by the first lady for 45 minutes, I hung up and called back. The second lady told me there was never an account set up for me. She apologized many times and promised that she would get me taken care of. TWO HOURS LATER, she said I was good to go, BUT we wouldn't have service until MAYBE the following week, and she couldn't tell me when the containers would be delivered.

She said she would try to have the $20 delivery fee waived, and when I told her I would have 2 weeks worth of trash, she told me I would have to pay $2 per bag that didn't fit in the container. After pleading with her that this wasn't my fault, she said she would attempt to get that waived, too, but it would still be on my first bill and I would have to call back in to dispute it. Seriously? After discussing with my husband all that we have gone through just to set up service, we decided to forget it and go back to Waste Management... and believe me, a company has to be absolutely terrible for us to go back to WM! I called back in to cancel the service and that took 30 minutes. From start to finish, my total time on the phone with four separate people, was over 3 hours... for no service.

Original review: June 3, 2018

0 stars wasn't an option for level of satisfaction. Republic Services have been providing trash pick up services for almost 10 months (not by choice) and fail to pick up our trash on the days and times they are supposed to. They come whenever they feel like it and continue to bill us for services not provided. They pick and choose which trash bins to pick up and often leave half the street with filled trash bins. We have been documenting how many times a month our trash gets picked up and we are averaging 1-2 times a month... once in a while it will be 3. More recently it's been 1. We never chose to have their services and feel we should have the right to pick our own reliable trash company to pick up our weekly trash.

Original review: May 17, 2018

This company continues to raise the price every three months. When you cancel remember you've signed a contract with them so you can't quit service until the end of the quarter. Then there is a cancellation fee of 50 plus dollars, and then the 50 plus dollar fee for picking up the container. Lol!!! Wow. Ummmm, Gouging?

Original review: May 7, 2018

republic service. Notice your first 2 letters "r" "s" in lower case is because you don't deserve to be recognize by anyone period! They didn't pick up my trash 2 Wednesdays ago. I have called them and asked why didn't they pick up my trash? They contacted the service man who picks up my trash. He said it's because it sits in wrong place and facing the house. I said, "So he decides not to pick up because of wrong spots?" I said my son put it in there and apologize for that and said will fix this right away. But Trash man could have had an attitude with community service and get out of the truck and pull it around and pick it up and IF he left me a note, I WOULD HAVE FIXED IT and work with him easily to make his job easier! I said, "He stopped by here 2 times and didn't bother to pick up my trash and asked for my last 2 Wednesdays to be credited because he was here 2 times and didn't bother to pick it up because of wrong place to put bins in."

They called 2 supervisors and they disapproved because they were HERE!!! What a JOKE!!! I said they should have got out of the truck and pick it up and leave me a note and problem would been solved right there! THEY WOULDN'T CREDIT 2 Wednesdays to make up and keep my business with them. They don't really care about how we feel or concerns, they just want to vacuum all of our money out of our pockets and do whatever the hell they feel want to do to us, and laugh at us. The service man should be replaced! Where is your integrity!!? You are FAR from honest business. You are nothing but a crook and selfish! I am a citizen man with integrity and I like everything to go well in good karma. But I won't be with you ever again, I am looking for other trash service now. YOU ARE A JOKE OF THE CENTURY!

Hey shoppers, you have heard my story, be smart and shop other trash services! Hey Republic Service, you have no integrity or honesty in you! SHAME ON YOU! SO LONG! I WON'T LET YOU TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ME AND TAKE MY MONEY EVER AGAIN! You need either fire all of those lazy ** and hire those people who are grateful to have a job and make it a good community service and positive.

Original review: May 4, 2018

A Shreveport Green official told me I could take several cardboard boxes (too many for my recycle bins) to our local Republic Services location and dump them into a bin situated near the entrance. So... I packed my Yukon to the limit and drove all the way... a long, long way... to Republic Services. Upon arrival I did not see any such bin anywhere. I did drive through the entrance and parked and went inside an office. I repeated my story and could see by their faces that the information I was given was, in fact not true and not possible. HOWEVER, Rita **, Dispatcher and Robert ** made several calls trying to locate a truck that was near but to no avail.

Then... they walked out to see the load in my car and told me they would help me unload the boxes into the back of a pick-up truck parked near their office & they would get the boxes into a truck when one came through. This is A-1 Customer Service which is almost nonexistent these days. Rita and Robert went out of their way to assist me... a long-time Republic Services customer... and I was so thankful and appreciative. Please know these two Shreveport employees are what's good about this company. They should be congratulated by Senior Management... I have raved about this to my friends and neighbors. I'm sure Republic gets lots of complaints... this is far from it.

Original review: May 4, 2018

The worst company to use. Tore up yard. Prices go up service goes down. Constantly pushing back pickup day, When you add it up you pay for 26 pickups a year but that doesn’t happen. Call to cancel service and the biggest runaround, hold, hang ups and outright lies. Told my service was interrupted because we hadn’t paid since Nov. 2017, then "Well, we just received a check for Nov., Dec., Jan, Feb." Told the lady she couldn’t have received that check because we pay online, I am looking at my Bank account online every month on the 5th paid.

She starts yelling at me. Notified them 3 months out, two months out and the month of that we were canceling their services. They tried to claim we didn’t, then well they tried to contact us, once. Then "Well, you didn’t cancel the right way." Called the DA, Told to file a theft of service against them if I feel they haven’t done their service as paid for. Calling the news service, someone, Gov., needs to investigate this Company. But only we can get it done if everyone contacts the Gov. one way or another. Congressman etc.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I cancel my account the 28 march. I'm ask if Need to pay something else. The lady tell me no. Ask if they're pick up the can container and went with no charge. They say, "You choose the day and not charge for the pick up container." Now I get a bill for $53.38 for pick up the container. This is an abuse of this company. Please don't make any business with them. I try all day to talk with somebody. Take me all day. Very disappointed with this company. Very frustrating. Abuse company.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I am also a Littleton resident who has not had my trash picked up in 3 weeks. I am beyond annoyed. I have been on the phone with customer service 5 different times and was told that my trash would be picked up each time, and it still hasn't. My neighbors are probably mortified, and hauling 3 weeks' worth of trash up and down the driveway is insane. I am paid through June and I am about to go throw everything in front of the next Republic trash truck that drives by. AND... they have driven past my house 4 times today and still aren't getting it. I don't even know what to do now or who to call. This is SO MESSED UP.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I have been trying to rid myself of problems with Republic since mid March. I canceled my service. The last date of pickup was 3/28. My containers were picked up 4/3. They charged me 137.56 for the next 3 months of service I had canceled. I spent close to 2 hours on their phone number ** the 1st time I called them. The 2nd time I spent 1 hour. The last time I called them it was a short 50 minutes. I now am told I owe 78.96 for pickup of my containers which was never told to me. The customer service person looked to see if I had been told it that pickup was free. This person never asked if I was told there would be a charge for the pickup. It wasn't.

Original review: April 25, 2018

We have not had our garbage picked up in almost 3 weeks. I have called numerous times and sent a complaint twice by email and still no pick up. I was told the first time I called that it would be picked up on the next day. No one came. I called again and I was told it would be picked up the next day, then the next day but still no pick up. We have been hauling over 2 and a half weeks worth of garbage out to the curb and back in the garage (so animals do not tear it up) every day for 2 weeks straight. We paid for a weekly service and it will soon be 3 weeks since anyone showed up. We are very aggravated.

Original review: April 16, 2018

My city has been using this service for the past two years and after the first year they would pick up my recycle or trash every other pickup day. This bugs me a lot because I have 5 cats, 2 dogs, 4 mice and about 40 chickens and 4 ducks. So basically I am a “chicken farmer”. All of those animals = a lot of poop and trash. Republic Services suck. I want to talk to my mayor about switching back to Waste Management. For starters there is little to no differences in the prices and they pick up everything. Republic Services are lazy.

Original review: April 13, 2018

They have missed many scheduled pickups at my business and there is no point of contact outside of a call center that delivers messages to any operations team that hides behind them. When I finally got information for someone hiding behind them, it was only an email address of a sales rep. My email was never returned. I have 20 locations they serviced, I dropped them like a rock and they no longer get $4k of my business monthly. Moved to a local company and much better experience and their business/ops people don’t hide behind call center reps. Don’t waste your time, avoid this company.

Original review: April 7, 2018

These guys are the laziest POS ever! If you call customer service expect a super long wait time. I have called them 3 time and the shortest time to talk with someone was 25:37 mins. It makes sense because I think they connect you to someone in Syria good luck understand if you speak English. You will need a Arabic translator. They're rude. Listen cheese ** you work for the customers or you won’t have any left. Will see how the Attorney General and the Better Business Bureau like listening to my recorded call.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Stay away from this company (also known as Republic Services). I used them for years and never missed a payment, every quarter they increase the price and when I finally got fed up I called to change my billing cycle from quarterly to annually in hope of reducing the payment and boy that was a big mistake. They slapped the cost of 1 year on 3-month invoice, I called customer service and explained the error and they promised to fix it. But 8 calls and 3 month later nothing was fixed so I decided to cancel and go with another company which cost about half what I used to pay Republic Services. The last call I made they confirmed that the account was closed and I don't owe them anything. 2 month later I was contacted by a collection company requesting a payment of over $100. Save your time, money and aggravation and find another company.

Original review: April 4, 2018

This is the 4th time in 3 months Republic "Services" has not picked up my trash. I have to call them and I get customer service but nothing happens. They ask if I want a "missed pickup" but then they don't come anyway. So I'm going to at least warn other people if they have any other choice not to use this company. They should take "service" out of their name. The only prompt service they give is in sending their bill.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Keeps charging me for non-existent extra garbage. Contacted them for 6 times now, been promised it would be taken care of... They don't give two **... still charging me illegally for something they should not. Next step - the court.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Spoke with a CS rep. when we had service interruption and she researched to find a 0 balance on our account. One week later, we receive an email from a different CS rep. indicating a balance of $24 from almost 1 year ago. An inquiry as to why this was just made aware to us as we have autopay revealed a plethora of excuses and poor customer service as well as inconsistent trash service. One week it was picked up, one week it was not. Then, the topper was an over $85 invoice for the original $24 bill, another $24 AND a $35 interruption fee. This invoice arrived AFTER the $24 was mailed from October 2017. There is a complete lack of organization in this company as well as a complete disregard for any form of customer service. I am uncertain if they have a concept of what it means to serve a customer, let alone keep one. It’s absurd.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I have to call several times a month to report a missed trash or recycling pickup. The entire neighborhood is impacted by this and I always receive a bogus excuse when I call customer service to register a complaint. The service is absolutely the worst and unfortunately we have no choice. We used to use LECK services and they were fabulous but unfortunately there were acquired by Republic Services and we are stuck. I hope someone from the corporate office reads this because you really have a lot of work to do to improve and gain back the confidence of your consumers!!!

Original review: March 10, 2018

First, we were very satisfied with the overall service from our garbage men. Very nice, efficient and went beyond what was expected; would even receive Christmas cards from the G-Man. What we are disappointed with is the cost of the service. Little did we know we could have called months ago to negotiate a lower price for service. We have been customers for at least 15+ years and were never notified we could have lowered our bill. When we did call them, after finding out our neighbors paid half of what we pay, they said they could reduce our bill by 50%. We have two different accounts, so after doing the math, we have way overpaid! We cancelled our service with Republic and have set up service with their competitor, who is half the price. We certainly don't need to remain loyal to a company who doesn't appreciate our business.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Their service is way overpriced. Double what you can get elsewhere. Their drivers are down right rude as are their customer service and sales reps. Beware, once you get involved with this company it is hard to get away from them without paying outrageous fees. They will make all kinds of deals with you to get your business, but will not hold up their end of the bargain. When I cancelled my service because of this reason, they sent ME a bill for $200.00 to pick up THEIR container. When I called customer service, their reps who have horrible phone etiquette cold transferred me to a sales rep who rudely picked up the phone asking what I wanted. Didn't state her name, or ask if she could help me. My experience with this company has been a huge hassle.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Dealing with Republic Services has been a nightmare. Communication with their Billing Dept, their Customer Service Dept, and their customers is completely inadequate. The best way to get along with Republic Services it to have no dealings with them at all. Trying to make sense with them may take an emotional toll on you like it has on me. Find a reputable company to pick up your trash.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Well after calling and complaining to them personally about this I figured I'd try this. I get tired of having to pick up garbage off my street from them dropping it everywhere. I buy a brand new garbage barrel with an attached lid and within a week they have it broken off so it goes down the street on windy days. And then these guys have the nerve to put a card on my garbage barrel on the holidays begging for money. Yeah right!

Republic Services Company Information