1.06/5

Need a utility company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

478 Republic Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have had a few trash services in the past and by far this is one of the most poorly run companies I have ever come across. Going from a mom and pop company, I stupidly moved over to Republic based on the convenience of the many pay methods and price. Welp. You get what you pay for. Not only is the service appalling (missed pick ups, trash left on my lawn, unknown holiday/weather delays), but the price does not include the MANY hidden fees and proved to be more than my previous service.

On top of all of this, their customer service is a joke. EVERY person I have spoken to over the phone tells you something different and reads off a script. I almost feel bad for the customer reps on the phone because it is overwhelmingly obvious that they don't have any training and are only able to see what is on their computer screen. Calling will only make you more frustrated because the other person on the line seems to either not actually be able to take care of the grievance or is rude and does not want to.

I cancelled my service in October and paid the current balance over the phone as well as provide them with my new address for the last $12 invoice. I was told that there would be a $12 removal fee for the bins that I would receive in the mail. It is now mid-January and I have since moved. I just received a Final Notice for a bill from November for another 3 months of service that I never used and that they were sending the bill to collections. How is this possible if I cancelled my account in October!

I called today to be told that this current letter (dated 1/10) is incorrect and that the current charge was credited back to my account. I then found out from a 3rd customer service rep (kept being placed on hold and they hung up on me every time) that my account was credited twice for $18 & another amount for $3, not the $92 they said I owed. I was then notified on the call that the removal fee was actually $18 and that they had no recollection or understanding of what the $12 was. When I explained that I am happy to pay $12 and not $18, I was sassily told that if I don't pay that amount today then I would be sent to collections.

When I asked to receive a new invoice via email, they no longer had it because my account was closed. So how can you close an account and all the information in it, yet still continue to charge the account for additional services that were cancelled. Breaking up with Republic Services is just as bad and if not more infuriating than trying to cancel a gym membership. Even when you think you are all said and done, be prepared to get random invoices or charges well after you have cancelled your account. STAY FAR FAR AWAY!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

This is the very first time I will write a review ever. I was a Republic customer for years, and have had several missed trash/recycle pick-ups. However I canceled end of Oct 2018 due to price increases. Two huge bins sat in front of my house for 2 weeks after I cancelled. I had to call Republic twice to remind them to pick up their containers - I will not be responsible in case of damage or loss, besides the fact that they are eyesores/taking up property space. Last week I received a final notice bill (prior to Collection Agency) for $56.00. I then called to question it and was told by Brianna that it is the container removal fee. It was never disclosed to me, during my cancel & reminder calls that there is a $56 container removal fee.

She said that they are trained to disclose that information but since I was not told, she will waive 50% & I am to write them a check for $26.00 instead. I asked to see the "container removal fee policy" in writing and she said that it is not, & it is one that they have to charge customers for. And she adds that she is only charging me half the fee - like she did me a favor. Today I wrote the check, as I decided to pick my battles, & this is not one of them I will stress over. Then a thought came up for me to write a review. I may or may not mail my check, I have not decided.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

My $100 a month dumpster ended up being almost $300 a month. In addition to a drop off fee for it, I was charged a fee for picking it up. It was picked up 3 weeks early and I was charged for the entire month. Every person I spoke with at the company gave me a different answer! They don't train their people either! After looking at the reviews, it is my opinion that Republic Services makes a habit of defrauding people. Most likely because it now has monopolized the garbage business.

I ordered a dumpster because when I had just cans at my residents, I either had too many sacks, they were too heavy or something was always wrong. I chose to get a dumpster with a lock. The lock could never be used because the truck never closed the dumpster! Very poor service. No choice for many, many years. If competition was allowed, this company would not have any business! It is obvious to me that Florida is not the only place where their business practices are suspect. I believe an investigation should take place.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Republic Trash Service in Lansdale is horrible. Had to call every week to get either trash or recycle picked up. Canceled them now. I am calling to get the cans picked up. They were suppose to pick up 1/7/2019. As of 1/10/2019 they are still sitting at my curb.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Republic Services is the worst. Terrible service and even worse customer service. I haven’t had yard waste removal for 6 weeks. Called and was told they were “very sorry” and would remove it the next day. Came home to full bins again, called and was told “the driver refused, sorry. They’ll try again on the next scheduled date”. I’ve never had such bad service without options to switch to a better company. I guess that’s how they get away with it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Republic Services?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

When I initially contracted with Republic there was no mention of a trash can return fee. After I canceled Republic, I'm being charged $30.00 for them to pick up the can. Totally unfair. I have now contracted with Kimble who are about 30% lower in price.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I agree 100% with reviews that are unhappy with Republic Services billing. It is unclear what they are charging for... The environmental recovery is always different... They have missed pick up and would not respond to my inquiry regarding adjustment of my bill... administrative fees... Their billing is my major complaint, it just keeps going up and up. Someone should look into this company for fraudulent billing processes.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

READ ALL THE POSTS. THEY ARE FACTUAL. I strongly suggest NOT USING REPUBLIC SERVICES. They are a shady company with ridiculous charges and unavoidable, unreasonable random rate increases. Even if you experience misfortunes and unavoidable downfalls in life Republic will not work with you. They immediately present you with legal ramification and extraneous charges. My business closed, due to circumstance beyond our control. I rented out the property to a different individual. I own the property, but the new lessee has no need for the service. I contacted Republic to let them know that I had to terminate the service and they immediately threatened legal action and penalty fees. The property has been leased out for Agricultural purposes. We are forced to keep and pay for a trash can that we will not use.

This is the excerpt from the notice I received from them. I have left names off it; "Per our conversation attached is the signed 36 months contract you signed back on 2/5/2017. As of right now you still under contract until 1/31/2020. If you wish to close your account we need to receive a Certificate Letter requesting cancellation to the account. Also, due to closing account before time you are breaching your contract meaning you will have to pay six months worth of your last invoice plus Removal Fees."

There are more reliable, less expensive companies out there. Do your leg work. Use extreme caution if you chose to do business with Republic Services. I also find it ironic how some of the posts report problems with the company previously named Waste Management. Wonder if this might have been some type of corporate name change to cover up and disassociate themselves with previous bad business reports. Republic is a heartless, insensitive company. I feel for the workers because I have seen what happens to these companies. I wish them all the best. In closing; My suggestion is save the hassle of legal threats and removal fees from the beginning. Don’t ever get the service.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

We used them for many years and their service was actually pretty good. Their billing was another matter. They consistently tried raising their rates without any advanced notification which meant you needed to call and negotiate it back down. Their last rate increase was 2.5x the current price, going from $95/quarter to $235/quarter. And they wouldn't negotiate the price. After I left them, I received a "final notification" bill from them threatening to send me to collection. Of course, this was the first bill I received. They want $60 because they picked up their cans. This was not part of the agreement when I signed up with them many years ago but they claim it is written in their fine print. Total thieves. Never, ever use these guys.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Unreliable service, rude customer service reps (when you can get someone on the phone). After canceling services (because they missed three weeks in a row), it took months to actually cancel, then they wanted to charge me $50 to pick up their trash can that stayed at the bottom of my driveway for another 2 months. Anyone would be better than Republic Services. I started using a local company and am so happy I did.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Had to stop their service, they try to double charge us for the last pick up. They will try and scam you out of money. Watch out. They are a worthless lying company. They oughta be arrested for impersonating a "reputable" garbage company.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Trash has NOT been picked up in 3 weeks! I have called 5 times, promised pick up 3 times, NOTHING! BEWARE of this company, they don't follow through. Excuse - normal driver on vacation. Bill is current.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Republic Services is a company who continues to raise bills using administrative fees and gas fees. I shopped around for another service after calling to complain about the can not being emptied. They called us liars and did nothing. I also complained about a personal trash can they crushed and ruined. They did nothing but try to get us to rent another can. This company is all about the money. Customer service is offensive. Do not use this company.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

We used Republic for many years, but their bill kept rising every month. So, we shopped around for another trash service in our area. Found that a competitor’s service at a fraction of what we were paying. We cancelled our service with Republic and they charged a full month for the last week of service & a $165.00 fee to pick their container. What a rip off!!!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I don’t understand how these thieves stay in business. No matter where you look under reviews they rate one star, and from my experience with them, that’s only because there are no negative star ratings!! My wife and I had used their waste removal services for about 5 years and just being lazy, we accepted their crooked price increases every quarter. Little did we know that when we moved and quoted other waste removal companies, we were paying over twice as much as the competition! Then we cancel and we’re promised a refund and now waiting on 2 months with nothing.

Every time we call it’s the same ** story that “it’s being processed.” They’re finding any way possible not to give us our money back! We’ve now filed a complaint with the BBB. Again, all you have to do is Google Republic Services and you will literally find thousands of 1 star ratings and reviews, followed by Better Business Bureau complaints (under the Google search) for their unethical business practice. This further demonstrates the terrible “company” they are. Do not, I repeat, do not use these crooks! There are a lot of 4-letter words I would love to use in this review if I could!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I had been with Republic for 4 + years in this location. When they started having union issues, they kept missing or delaying trash pickup and did not pick up recycling at all. I called, but no response; I did not pay the bill for the upcoming quarter and engaged another service. Republic finally called me; I canceled. I then get a bill charging me a cancellation fee, as well as for picking up the containers. They would not refund the amount for their non-pickups. I was in a service business for 29 years. Mistakes will be made, but this is the worst response (continual) I have ever experienced. I hope the lifetime loss of a previously loyal customer is worth the $88.90 they are charging me.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

The trash pick up is fairly reliable in my area but the problem I have with Republic Services is that every quarter my bills is higher than agreed with new phantom charges and misc. late fees, etc. Even after I canceled the service, they sent me a bill for another three months of service, as well as container removal fees, late fees, and phantom taxes.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Was with Republic for 4 years. Kept missing pickups then would text and say due to unforeseen circumstances. Canceled service and still want me to pay then they would reimburse me! What a joke of a company. Found another trash hauler my neighbor uses. No missed service and almost half the price.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

We have been with this company since 2006. When our neighbors jumped shipped due to non pickups, we remained until now. In the past year, they have missed pickups 3x. The last time is it! Friday is our pick up day, but due to the holiday it was delayed a day. Usually the trash is picked up by 630am. So when it wasn’t picked up this past Saturday Dec. 29. I called around lunch time. The representative said there was a 4 hour delay due to a truck being out of service, but it would definitely be picked up by 5pm. I have 2 trash cans sitting near my sidewalk “overflowing”. I called twice this morning. First, I spoke with a representative named Michelle out of a call center in Charlotte, NC. She added me to the schedule for pick up today.

Of course, I voiced my feelings about the entire ordeal and told her I will call back every hour until my trash is picked up. I called a different number thinking I would speak with someone in Georgia, but it went right back to the center. Again, I voiced my frustration. Then I called billing to get clarification for when I cancel service. This company is the worst, because they bill you for 3 months in advance. So our bill is paid through Dec. 31st and we can’t even get our trash picked up. Ridiculous! I will never recommend this company.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

They are the worst, I have been with them for about three years and they have forgotten to pick up my trash about 6 times. I call and cannot speak to management. They lie and promise that I'll be picked up later in the day and they don't come for days. Right now I on a Saturday evening right after Christmas my trash is sitting on my curb and has not to be picked up. It is 4:03... I have called and am waiting on management to call me back. Then they don't even want to give me a credit for their lack of professionalism.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

We have been a Republic customer for several years. For the most part, we have been satisfied with the services. However, there is one aspect of their service that has been a constant frustration to us. We missed getting our cans out for a one day delay pickup (Christmas holiday) and called three times that same day to ensure we could get our trash and recyclables picked up. I take full responsibility for not getting the cans out, but we were assured three times that they would be picked up that day. They were not. I called again the next day and was again assured of a pickup. Once again, they were not picked up.

The best they could do was schedule a pickup for our next scheduled pick-up date. Since we have been a customer, they have failed to pick up our trash each and every time we have called for a missed scheduled pickup. Also, during the course of speaking with their representatives, we have been given conflicting information about what they can and cannot do for us leaving us completely confused. Seriously considering switching services.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Because of where my house sits I can only assume, Republic Services recycling has been taking our trash and putting it in either the next door neighbor's yard or the one next over to make it easier for the trash guys. I’m sure this is due to laziness however it caused our neighbors to look thru our trash, bang on our door and threaten us with personal details because they extensively went through our trash. This ruined our Christmas and caused us a lot of problems and anxiety. I would seriously consider using anything else because this has turned into a legal matter.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I was with them much longer than I should have been, unfortunately. Call it laziness, but regardless, I finally did research and am now saving over $50.00 quarterly. Over time, with at least two complaints the rate was reduced by Republic, however, when I finally called them to cancel he offered a much reduced rate from what I had been paying. It was not as good as what I was going to pay with the new service so I still cancelled, but I asked why I was not offered this much better rate from the get go because obviously I had been overpaying for quite some time! He apologized and said he did not know why I was not offered the cheapest rate. I had even previously asked a Republic rep if what I was paying was their least expensive rate and she said yes. I think you and I know why I was not offered nor told about their best rate till I was leaving. Lying jerks!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I was a customer of Republic Services and auto-paid by credit card on a quarterly basis. In November, I called to cancel services (they were already the highest priced provider in my area and they just raised their rates ~20% higher) which they scheduled for 12/6 (apparently, I can only cancel at the end of a "full month" of service). Anyway, they emailed 11/21 stating they owed me an $80.79 credit for the 2 months of unused service. On 12/21 they sent, via email, me a bill for $21.44 I called on 12/24 to investigate. I was informed on 12/24 that not only that I wasn't getting a refund but that I owed the @21.44 for the (never disclosed or agreed to) "standard container collection fee". $102 and change to pick up containers? It cost ~$10 / week to collect the trash but you try to steal $100 from people for picking up your property? Total scumbags.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I live in a small senior housing area where there are 43 individual units. Our pickup day is Suppose to be Friday every week by contract. If a holiday falls in during the week. Then the pickup is to be done on that Saturday. In the last 5 holidays. They have not picked on Saturday so our trash sits on the side of the road until they come. They will come on a Tuesday and then skip picking up on that Friday. So essentially they are screwing us as the bill is prepaid. They use to come around 2 in the afternoon on a Friday. But lately they have been coming before 8 AM and as early as 6 AM before people have a chance to put their stuff out.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I live in Renton. We do not get a choice about our garbage pick up. I have had horrible service from day one of their contract. They hit my car and trailer with the cans many times, someone has come out many times, sometimes even with the wrong info about others. I have offered to build a holding place, it seems to work for others but they say no need. Ya think. Yesterday they blocked my car in the driveway with the empty cans, they on the other side of the YARD BACK WHERE YOU GOT THEM FROM. Let me know if you have this same issue and both the city of Renton or Republic has done nothing about for way too long.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

We had been Republic Services customers for over twenty (20) years. The quarterly price increase steadily for several years. As a concurrent you don’t really think about what you pay to have your trash hauled away. The drivers are friendly, courteous and picked up what was put at the street even if not “exactly” placed by the rules. The last straw came when discussing the price with a neighbor and found a new hauler was charging more than 60% less for the same size containers and frequency.

I called Rebuplic to see if they could get close - not match get close. No dice! Cancellation set for end of Nov. containers to be picked up first week of December (no mention of a “container recovery fee”) did not happen. Called on 12 December and asked to have containers picked up. Still no mention of a “recovery fee”. The containers were picked up 14 December. This morning received and e-mail from Republic with an invoice for over $80.00. Called them - lo and behold a “container recovery fee”. Called to try to get it waived - no dice. Next call will be to the township.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I started with Republic Services back in April of 2016 when I moved to Marshall Michigan. Everything was going okay, even though I wasn't really happy with how much they charged for their services. My wife and I recycle and compost over 80% of our waste, so it took us 3-4 weeks to fill our container (the smallest container that they offer). I knew that there wasn't much that I could do about it, and would still have to pay the full amount that everybody else pays. After the first year, only putting my container out for pick up maybe once per month, and after they missed those pickups 50% of the time, they increased my quarterly charges by almost $10.

This really bugged me, especially since I'm having to pay an additional 10% for maybe 3-5 pickups per 3 months (actually 2-3 pickups, since they regularly missed my container when I did have it out). I called customer service to complain, and to ask if they offered a different service package for someone with my limited needs. I was told that they didn't make special considerations for people like me (i.e. prorated charges for limited and unreliable service that I was receiving). I just put up with it like this 3/4 of the way through 2018, with an average annual increase of around 10% to my bill, with the same shoddy service. Finally I called and canceled my services with them, but I strategically waited until the end of a billing cycle, so that I didn't have any additional charges. I was lead to believe after canceling my services, that I had a zero balance.

Three months later I was surprised by a letter in the mail from them, stating that they had repeatedly attempted to contact me about my past due amount of $38, and that they were going to refer me to collections and report me to the credit agencies if I didn't call them and pay immediately. This made me sooo mad. They DID NOT try to contact me, I never received a letter, nor did I receive a phone call from them regarding this phony bill. I have excellent credit (800+), and pride myself for working so hard to achieve this score, and for them to lie and unnecessarily threaten me like this really irritated me. So I called the billing department and spoke with a nice woman who was sympathetic to my issue.

She had a hard time figuring out what the bill was for, and finally decided that it was a cancellation and final pick up fee that nobody EVER explained to me. So I just paid the stupid bill. I'd pay way more to protect my credit, and they obviously take advantage of people like me, who very reliably pays my bills, and usually a week or two early. The lady said that she would file my complaint with the company. It's now weeks later, and I NEVER received a phone call from anybody. I would never do business with this company again, and would certainly advise others to stay away from Republic Services! I now take my trash into the local landfill on my own, and pay 90% less. I'll never look back. Goodbye Republic!

Message to Republic Services: Save your threatening letters for the customers that don't reliably pay their bills, and treat your customers that provide you with reliable business (even though your service is far from reliable) with respect. It's way more expensive to find new customers, than it is to keep your current and reliable customers happy.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Their drivers keep on missing our trash cans (we are a corner house with no curb to our right) because they don't want to get out of their trucks to roll the trash cans. This is a company of a bunch of spoiled workers who treat you like they are the customer. They requested that we place the trash cans on our driveway (blocking our driveway for about 6 hours with 3 different types of trash cans for their majesty to Not get out of their truck). We locate our trash cans on our left curb which is plenty of space but that would require them to get out of their truck, we really have no other option and they refuse it.

The next step after this is having a 3rd party force them to do their job or quit and be replaced. That would be possibly the city officials or a judge. These people just missed picking up the entire street 2 weeks ago. They keep on missing their jobs. Imagine of a USPS driver asking you to bring the mail to him from the mail box instead of him getting out of his truck, lol. This is just ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

First, their drivers would empty the cans while the truck was rolling, sometimes spilling trash onto the street and leaving the cans in front of everyone’s driveway. Recently they left a bag of yard clippings and I called them about it and was told they’d send someone to get it. I called about it for 5 days straight and each time they said it would be picked up the next day. They never came. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was transferred to someone’s voicemail. I left a message and was never called back. This Monday they inexplicably picked up half the subdivision’s trash and left the other half.

When I called to ask that my trash be picked up, they said they’d escalate it and promised to pick up the trash. Many homeowners called as well and were told the same thing. We’re still waiting and based on my past experience with them, they’ll just wait until the next trash pickup day to get the missed trash. It’s a stalling practice. Customers are paying for weekly trash pickup but are not getting what they paid for. They always apologize and promise to take care of it, then do absolutely nothing, They are in my opinion the absolute worst choice for sanitation service.

Republic Services Company Information