1.1/5 (173 ratings)

About Republic Services

Republic Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Republic Services?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Republic Services?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

Needed to schedule an extra pickup for the month, went on the website and scheduled it. Was told on the website that the extra pickup would cost 41.50. Agreed and paid that amount for the extra pickup. Received my bill the next month and was Charged 150 for the extra pickup, with 40 dollars in fueled recovery on top of that. Told by the company that the 41.50 from the website was just a 'quote'. Absolute scam.

Republic Services response

Coty, We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. Please private message the service address and contact information.

Resolution response: Sept. 27, 2022

After 5 days of calling, the mattress was finally picked up 7 days after scheduled.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I have bulk item pickup once a month included in my service. Thought I would take advantage of that for once to clean up the garage. Called and scheduled an appointment for Monday September 19th, dragged an old dishwasher and mattress to the end of the driveway on Sunday night thinking it would be picked up Monday like I was told.

Monday comes and goes, the bulk items are still at the end of the driveway. Called in Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and now Friday, and was told every single call that it would be picked up the following day before 6:30. Spoke to a manager at 3 pm on Friday who had no explanation for the 5, FIVE, missed pickups and is now promising Monday but I just know it won't happen.

This is by far the worst customer service I have dealt with in my life. Why lie over and over again instead of just saying "Hey, we aren't picking it up, EVER" so I can find another company to perform the services. Of course, I was never offered a penny for the inconvenience pf dragging the items back into the garage every time it rains, not to mention, the mattress is killing the grass. How is this company still in business??

Republic Services response

Ted, We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. Please private message the service address and contact information.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

I was initially on a bi-weekly pickup schedule but over a year ago, I changed to a weekly garbage pickup schedule. Constantly my garbage is not being retrieved weekly which is resulting in my calls to Republic Services. I'm told, "oh we have it documented in the system but it looks as if you aren't on the calendar for weekly pickups. Let me take care of that right now." All goes well for a few weeks and then it's back to the same routine, bi-weekly. Each time I call, I am informed I will receive a call back from a supervisor in 24-48 hours to which I am still waiting for those calls.

Republic Services response

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

We have been paying annually every September for a long time. We started getting extra add on bills since June. I would call the customer service and explain we don’t owe anything until September since we already paid for the year. The lady said it was a mistake and said she fixed it. Got another bill the next week. Called again. They claim they fix it but never did. Every week we would get another bill. They put a stop on our service in august cause we didn’t pay them, since each person I talked to claimed it was fixed. We got our annual bill for September and they increased our annual amount by almost $200. We decided to find a different company and called to cancel right after Labor Day weekend. Was told to have our container at the street on October 5th.

Today 9-20-2022, received a bill for $97.05, I called and was told they don’t allow cancellations throughout the month, only at the end of the month. Even though we haven’t used their services for the month of September, we are still being charged. Also Megan informed me we will be paying another $30 for them to pick up their container. Megan was very rude during this conversation.

Republic Services response

Paula, we would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. Please private message your service address and contact information.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

Updated on 09/20/2022: Our pieces of bulk items were picked up today. Based on my previous complaint, we had furniture sitting at our curb a full week longer than promised. Based on the actions (primarily lies) I requested a discount on the pickup headaches based on the actions and untruths of the bulk pickup department. The response from Republic did not address this issue.

Original: We contacted Republic Services on September 7, 2022 to schedule a bulk pickup of a couch and a loveseat. Republic Services scheduled our pickup for Wednesday September 14, 2022. My spouse and I are approaching 60 years old. Together, we pushed, pulled and carried the items to the curb on the evening of September 14th. Unfortunately, they did not pick up our furniture on the 14th. My spouse called Republic on the morning of September the 15th to notify them that we were missed. (We understand that mistakes happen. After all, no one is perfect.) We were informed at that time that the items would be picked up hopefully on Thursday but Friday at the very latest.

When my wife called Republic late afternoon on Friday, she was transferred to the “bulk” department. My wife explained the situation to a young female that answered in that department. Her response was that we waited too long to notify them that we were missed. In actuality, we called Republic at 8:30am on Monday. The young woman lied to us (we can provide telephone records if necessary). She then changed her answer that Republic only picks up on Monday and Wednesday. She also informed us that these pickups errors happen “all the time” so we should not make a “big deal” out of the fact because it happens to everyone and often. I should also note that this woman was rude from the outset of the call. She also indicated that Monday, September 16th.

Other than the extreme rudeness and the missed pickups, this has caused two other issues. First, we have had this furniture at our curb basically soaking up water and killing our grass. We have a Homeowners Association that frowns on leaving out regular trash pickups before dark the night before dark. Obviously, they are not overjoyed with old furniture lining the streets.

Also, my wife and I had great difficulty getting the furniture to the curb the first time. If the HOA requires that we drag these items back into the garage the chance that one or both of us physically injures ourselves strictly because of Republic’s incompetence. Again, we understand that we are all human and mistakes happen. What makes this worse than a simple mistake was outright rudeness from the young women. First, by outright lying to us and secondly responding that this situation happens “all the time” which somehow makes our issue inconsequential.

Republic Services response

Robert, We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. Please private message the service address and contact information.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

I have two accounts with Republic Services and the St. Louis account has added $100 and more per billing cycle for a Total Fuel/Environmental Recovery Fee whereas my other location has not. Both use the same diesel fuel, both use the same trucks, both locations has the same number of pick ups. When I called, I received mumbo jumbo as a response, to the point it was comical. There are other companies that haul trash, Republic Services acts like it is the only company in town. I will take my business elsewhere since I can no longer trust their billing practices. Too bad that I like the person who picks up my trash, but I cannot tolerate deceptive billing.

Republic Services response

Angela, We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. Please private message the service address and contact information.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

Long time customer for 10+ years. We cancelled our recycling years ago when we found out there are no recycling centers in Ottawa county and they were throwing our recycling in the general trash. When the $680 annual invoice showed up for a single bin weekly disposal we cancelled our service immediately. Our service dates were 8/1 to 7/31, but the new invoice did not get e-mailed to us until 8/31. Our service was cancelled 8/31 and we removed our auto pay authorization information. In September they still removed the full $680 from our account for the next year's service without our approval. Now I have to wait 8 weeks for the crooks to mail me a check less the $100 for the one month service. I did call and they offered me $270 annual rate, after paying $482 last year. No thanks. I found local service for $240 annually, stay far away from Republic Services!

Republic Services response

Tim, We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. Please private message the service address and contact information.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

I'm reading these complaints, and I don't know why we have not started a class action lawsuit for illegal business practices. I have also incurred various missed pickups, terrible customer service with zero help and more than 100% increase in bills over a 3 month period with zero explanation. After more than doubling my bill, Republic stopped picking up on a regular basis, and it seems to be more whenever they have drivers - so where is my increase bill going to! I was finally able to connect with a sales rep to reduce my bill which was great. HOWEVER, about a month later I received my actual bill, it was still 25% highly than what was agreed upon with the sales rep. HOW IS THAT LEGAL! This is completely a scam company and would be happy to see it go bankrupt.

Republic Services response

Danny, We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. Please private message the service address and contact information.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

Despite over 23 calls for the last 23 days, they have still not resumed pickup of trash. This is the most disrespectful and uncaring company I have ever seen. They don't care about small businesses and only care about billing. We call, get courteous responses that "someone is coming out today", or "we will call you before 5" and we have yet to receive a single call-back, or have anyone come out and perform the service - yet they continue to bill!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

Have been a Customer 10+ years. Rates continue to spiral up each quarter. Fuel charges rise and never roll back as fuel cost go down. The last straw was this past Labor Day when both their website service calendar and customer service hold message showed and said they were operating on a one day delay. Well guess what. Management in the Denver market decide to work their drivers on Labor Day and follow the normal schedule without notifying their customer. When I called they refused to do a follow up collection a day or two later forcing me to wait until the next scheduled pickup day. Unacceptable!

Republic Services response

John, We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. Please private message the service address and contact information.

Republic Services Company Information