1.07/5

Need a utility company?

416 Republic Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I paid for trash service and rental on two large dumpsters. One for recycling one for trash. When I called to cancel the account because I had moved, I requested the containers be picked up. I was then hit with a bill for $78 just for this removal. I never agreed to pay this either verbally or in writing nor was I ever informed of this so-called pickup fee. When I called and spoke to two different customer service associates they were rude and gave me lots of attitude and basically told me it was similar to having cable or dish and having to return the Box. I informed them that when I do that they provide me with a postpaid box they don't charge me to return it. When I asked to speak to their supervisor they denied any such person was available but said they would put in request for such a person to call me in the next 48 hours. Sketchy operation and a complete rip-off.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

We telephoned, four times, to schedule a bulk pickup to no avail. Each time, we were given a reference number as proof of the order. The third time, the operator informed us that she called the dispatch directly to ensure our pickup for the same day. After the fourth phone call, we decided to write a poor review to caution others regarding the bulk pickup department. Per Republic Services request, the bulk items are sitting curbside- a nuisance to our neighbors. This bad experience has really decreased our quality of life.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I moved to this house in Bucks County Pa in May, was told by my neighbors they used Republic Services for garbage and recycle pick up. Called them and was told my senior rate would be $62 per month. I am on a dead end road and they said they would use a pub style truck as the big trucks could not easily turn around here. Received my first two bills paid them and then did not receive a bill until today which was $800. Thought it must be a mistake but turns out they arbitrarily without any written or notice of any kind raised mine and my neighbors' rates to over $600 per quarter or over $200 per month for a 350% increase. All I got was apologies from Republic and essentially they are telling us that they really don't want to service our road so the increase is intended to get us to discontinue their service or pay through the nose. Crappy company with a crappy business practice.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I am a small business owner that started using Republic in 2014. Some tips to know as a business owner, they renew your contract for two years without telling you, which is unethical and against Illinois state law. However, when I tried to cancel the contract they have been giving me the runaround since June 6th. It's October now, 4 months. I elevated to a manager and he leaves me voicemails in the evenings and doesn't return my voicemails. I have been emailing a customer service rep as well that seems to just have some sort of script she uses to respond.

It has been unbelievably frustrating working with these people. I highly suggest you look into other companies to use for garbage removal. Independent Garbage Removal in Chicago doesn't auto renew contract or even require a term. Today, I attempted to email again requesting they cancel the contract. I also copied in the president of the company Don Slager, but I am seriously guessing on his email address based on how they create their addresses. No one will give me his contact information to elevate this issue.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

In June we tried to use their bulk pick up. Trash pickup had been great. It never worked. It was so horrible we had the police called on us. They ignored our complaints to customer service. The officer said "Republic can't be like that I worked for them". What!?? Don't you understand conflict of interest??? So this guy that said he was a supervisor called after a hundred hours on hold for customer service. His name was Dale. He supposedly is supervisor for Cheyenne Department Las Vegas. He was nice. Two months later this guy did nothing but give excuses and empty promises. I will be taking them to court and will never use this awful company again. What is the CEO doing??? Hanging out on a boat getting drunk. Such a nightmare.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Republic Services?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

This company is ridiculous. The individuals for the service in the area that I lived provided adequate service. However, while attempting to cease business with the corporate side, since the beginning of July, this company has seriously showed its **. Almost 4 months into requesting to cease this service, due to relocation, I am still receiving invoices. To start service, I called and requested a container for my residence in Canyon, TX. The container was promptly delivered and serviced weekly, as per contract. Since relocating to Florida, I have had tremendous difficulty canceling my service.

After 3 monthly calls requesting to stop service, I was finally contacted with a supervisor who could access my call history and clear these erroneous charges. This month, I received an invoice charging me $150 for container removal. The residence which I lived was sold only 3 weeks after moving and the container was being used, I am quite sure. The service continues to request payment for container removal at a residence which I don't even live.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I have had frequent missed pickups for the past couple of years. The final straw was this week. Missed pick up this past Wednesday. Called Republic and they could not send a truck back until this past Friday. I called Thursday to confirm. I called Friday morning to confirm. They did not come! Called Friday evening and they can't send a truck out until Tuesday. I have canceled my account. My new carrier will actually be less expensive.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I've had Republic Services as my garbage and recycle service for almost two years. During this time, there have been numerous missed pickups. I'd estimate several dozen times during this 21 month period but probably more. The excuse from Customer Service is always "truck broke down" or "driver out sick." I really don't know why Hillsborough County Florida contracts with this company with such poor performance. It's probably the lowest bidder would be my guess.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I sold my home on September 4th of this year and called Republic to cancel service and request a refund since I paid for the entire year and was leaving a quarter early (since you pay for 3 months each billing cycle). The woman on the phone said that she could credit my account but that they couldn’t get me an actual refund. I told her that was no good since I moved out of republics service area so I needed an actual refund. She then reluctantly told me she would have to submit a request for a refund and it would have to be reviewed. I told her that was fine and asked if they would contact me when they reviewed it and she said yes.

Here we are a month later and I received a bill in the mail at my new address from Republic with the city ordinances attached stating that I have to pay for trash services. Honestly I was a little irritated because it was such an ordeal talking to them the first time I didn’t want to call again. When I called back, the woman I talked to said that my account was never closed, just the refund request was sent. She said she was going to close the account and refund the account back to a zero balance. So I asked her if they would be sending me a check and she said very rudely “I just told you I am closing your account and refunding it back to a zero balance. I am not authorized to give you an actual refund.” So I said, “but you just told me you are refunding my account?” And she said again very rudely “I just said I am refunding your account. That is so it doesn’t go to collections and show a balance.”

Ok, then I understood what she was trying to say in that regard, but then I asked if she was submitting the refund request as well from the extra payment that was made and she said yet again, still very rude “I just said I am refunding your account and closing it. I will give you your case number.” Still confused, I didn’t want to ask anymore questions. I felt like I was being belittled and bullied off the phone. I doubt I will ever see a refund from this company and I hope to never have to deal with them again. Very disappointed in the way they treat people.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Low quality trash services. Previously was informed that they would dispose of trash that was also in personal containers as well as theirs, but they refuse to. Also, a sign was left on top of my trash bin and they refused to dispose of it because it didn’t fit inside the bin. Instead they rudely threw it into my yard on my flower bed. It flattened my flowers. If I’m paying for trash service, it’s appreciated to have trash exposed of. There are two people in my home, so we don’t have an abundance and even if I did, I’m paying for them to dispose of waste. They are over particular and do not have good customer service. If you have other trash service options, I would choose Republic last. I’m going to look elsewhere, even if it did cost a little more. Look at all the other reviews - this company is very low quality. Save yourself the trouble.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Multiple times of no pickup. Tried to get pickup of large yard waste. Customer Service wouldn’t respond to email requests for information. Tried to stop service via email, but they don’t accept that because they have to “verify” the account holder by asking my name. Conveniently, if you call after the 1st day of the month to cancel, they still charge you til the end of the month. Horrible experience. Will never utilize their services again.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I’ve been paying a little over $90 per quarter to Republic. In fairness, the pickup service was fine but when a competitor offered service for $55 per quarter, I took it. This was mid August 2018 and Republic’s service was canceled effective 31 August 2018. At that time I was paid through 30 September 2018. Republic offered to lower my quarterly bill from $93 to $66 if I didn’t cancel the service which I took as an admission of overcharging up to that time? I still canceled the service and had a refund for one month due me... I thought... silly me. Instead of a refund I got a bill as “fees” I’d never heard of started appearing, seemingly Willy-Nilly until the entire one month refund was gone plus some!

Phone calls revealed that, among other things, Republic charges customers $5.95 per billing cycle for them to TAKE YOUR PAYMENT. Plus there was a $28 charge to pick up THEIR can (and I learned, there had been a similar charge to deliver it). There was another charge in there as well which I don’t recall because by this time I was too aggravated to care; I just wanted done with them! Finally, their service isn’t bad but if you choose to deal with them I strongly suggest you get every charge (including closing charges) in writing upfront and don’t be surprised if monthly charges, after service begins, doesn’t increase dramatically and for no apparent reason. For myself, I feel I’ve literally been extorted and I’m most happy to be done with Republic Services!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I set up service with Republic in November 2017 because we used them in California and the service was outstanding. I reside in Watkinsville, GA. The garbage pick up has been missed a least three times recently. I called and they were supposed to come the following day (on the most recent miss, September 27, 2018). They never showed. I called customer service today (October 1, 2018) to investigate and decided to just cancel my service. I was quoted $24.70 to pick up garbage can, and $29.70 to pick up recycling can. I was NEVER informed about these fees when I signed up for service. I feel very misled and can't believe this is legal. I would encourage anyone to use any service other than Republic in this geographical area.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

We signed up for them because we received an offer for $32 quarterly. We had to beg them for a week to deliver the trash cans to us. Had them for a month and they never picked up once. We had trash sitting out at the curb for weeks. Twice our old company took the trash but Republic never did. They overcharged us and when we told them that we wanted to cancel service they had a bill for two months of services that we never received.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Very poor service. Republic is contracted by the county where I live so homeowners have no choice in having to use them. They SUCK to put it mildly. If your only job is picking up trash and you stink as bad as your trucks do, you’d think they would try to do better. NOPE!!! They don’t care!!!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

For no reason my container was picked up. I walked out with my trash and it was gone. I pulled up my account and my account was closed. I called Republic and asked what was going on. They pulled up my account and said it was close. I said, "I know. That's why I'm calling." They said it doesn't list a reason. I told them my account was paid on time. In fact it was paid 30 days early. Not one time did they apologize. I asked them to bring my container back. They said that it would be brought back the next day. Well it never came. I called them back and they say it will be a week before I get it back. I said why. It was taken for no reason. I talked to a supervisor. She said she would check with that dept and call me back. Never got a call back. Terrible company. They don't care about their customers and make it seem like it's your fault. My acct was paid in full. But they took my container for no reason and they could care less. Wait a week we don't care.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I had the unfortunate privilege to sign a contract with this company to pick up my trash and yard waste. I had no problems for about the first 9 months and after signing the contract my service went downhill. I made repeated calls to the company to have my yard waste picked up and after five days it is still sitting in front of my home. It seems that the workers are trained to say the same thing, "we will be there today" and they never show up. I canceled my service today knowing that I must pay a $100.00 fee for cancellation. I am glad to pay the fee to get rid of them.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I paid $39.00 each quarter. Called to cancel service on 08/01/2018. Found out I would be moving on 08/31/2018. Called customer service about the overpayment. I was told I had to pay a garbage can's pick up fee. I paid a fee when they delivered the cans at the beginning of my service, 5 years ago. Then I was charged $53.00 on 09/20/2018 and have yet to receive my refund. Please do not do business with Republic. Throughout the 5 years, I experienced late garbage pickup or no pickup. I received a call the day they went on strike telling me due to an emergency, my trash would not be pick up and did not provide a date. I held on the phone for a representative for 40 minutes and then they disconnected the call.

I paid $39.00 each quarter. Called to cancel service on 08/01/2018. Found out I would be moving on 08/31/2018. Called customer service about the over payment. I was told I had to pay a garbage cans pick up fee. I paid a fee when they delivered the cans at the beginning of my service, 5 years ago.Then I was charged $53.00 on 09/20/2018 and have yet to receive my refund. Please do not do business with Republic. Through out the 5 years, I experienced late garbage pick ip or no pick up. I received a call the day they went on strike telling me due to an emergency, my trash would not be pick up and did not provide a date. I held on the phone for a representative for 40 minutes and then they disconnected the call.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Here's a company who bought all the local services up. Used to pay $44 per quarter. Was $54 the first quarter of this year. Went up to $61 in 2nd quarter. Now $68 this quarter. 13% and we're only 3 quarters of the way through the year! Annualized 5% increase over 10 years. Crazy. How is this even legal!?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I have been with Republic Services for more than 4 years, and finally decided enough is enough. Its price has been keeping going up and up: in 4 years it climbed up by 130% while its services really haven't changed at all. That's about 23% annualized price increase. I was facing with almost $150/quarter, one pickup/week in the end. When I called in to cancel my service, they asked if I was interested in their lower price offers. I said "No, thanks. I'm not interested. Plus how 'low' can you go anyway?"

Regarding the final two trash bins removal, they missed their first scheduled pickup after the Labor Day. Then I had to schedule again and wait for another one and half week for their second pickup. Finally they sent me another bill (around $50) for this final "divorce". I would not recommend this company to anyone, as I found its service and price competitiveness have gone downhill steadily, especially in the last two years. I think as long as it does not have local market monopoly, you will be better off with your local trash service provider(s).

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Moved here to Texas in 2015 and Republic was then trash company servicing the area. Since having them my bill has steadily increased with no explanation. Fees for everything from administration to fuel surcharge and recovery fees. I canceled my service in the last week of August 2018. Customer service said they would pick up cans by Sept.1. Well, it was more like 5th. Now they want me to pay for September service and $100 to remove my empty garbage cans. I had no signed contract with them from the start, was never sent one to sign.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Two weeks my garbage is still in my driveway. I called to cancel service and they are charging me to pick up my trash containers. Did not care I was canceling or why, just wanted to let me know I had to pay them to pick up their containers. So the two weeks worth of trash that sits in my driveway (that I have already paid for) is on me... I am canceling because this is most weeks... THEY DON’T PICK UP THE TRASH!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Called Republic because our quarterly rate went from $75 to $125... Seemed drastic so we called and told them we had a contract which they couldn't find. Emailed it to Fred **. He looked at and he snapped back that the contract I had in my hands from his company was not valid??? I referred him to the Republic rep whose name was on the contract and he did not want to hear it. Too much competition out there to stay with a company like this. Goodbye, Republic.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Horrible horrible horrible... We changed our service from Republic because they wouldn't come half the time, yet our bill was getting higher. We have been waiting a month and a half for them to pick up their cans and they haven't even after repeated calls. This is probably the worst company I have ever dealt with.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I have had Republic for several years. For the past couple of months they are very inconsistent about showing up on their designated date. They promise to come the next day and don't show up. I would not use them again.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I have been very unhappy with the service that my Company has been getting. We are supposed to have a 4 yard container exchanged out every Tuesday and Thursday. For the last month, we have only received this service on a Thursday. I have called on four separate occasions on 9/6, 9/11, 9/12 and 9/13. I have been promised to get my trash emptied. This has not happened. I have been told that they would expedite my complaint, but have received no callbacks or even received the service that my company is paying for. I get apologies, but there is no service. I am very close to replacing this service.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I became a Republic customer when my locally owned trash service sold out to them. Since that time, I have had continuous issues with Republic: Unexplained service fees added, Increased pick up fees with no explanation, Unknown charges that required calls, Customer service unable to locate my account, Customer service telling me I was not a current customer, Trash barrels taken with no explanation, Charged recycling fees for a barrel size I did not have, Recycling not picked up for 6 weeks straight.

As a result of the aforementioned, as well as a significant increase in fees, I decided to cancel the service on 07/03/18. I spoke to customer service and arranged to have the barrels picked up on 07/09/18 - which they were. In August 2018, I received an invoice indicating a balance of $0. On 09/12/18, I received a final notice letter indicating that “despite several previous written notices, your account remains seriously past due.” I had not received any invoices indicating I owed anything. In fact, at the time I cancelled the account, the customer service rep specifically informed me that she did not see any additional fees or payments required on the account.

On 09/13/18, I contacted customer service to inquire about the final notice letter, which also threatened legal action and a “derogatory credit information report.” The customer service rep informed me that I had not paid the “container removal fee” - which I explained I was never informed of, nor had ever gotten a specific invoice for. The customer service rep said they charge a container removal fee versus a contract cancellation fee. I explained that their company purchased my previous trash hauler and that I had not entered into any specific contractual agreement with them. The customer service rep informed me that I was being charged because I cancelled a contract and that every company charges a fee if you cancel a contract. It appears Republic's customer service reps are well scripted and they are not willing to listen to reason or specific facts.

This is the first time I have ever posted a comment such as this, I don’t normally waste my time on a lost cause, however, in this instance, I have found a company that uses deception and potential lies as part of their business model. So now I’ll go to my online bill pay and pay the $44.98 to avoid having my credit damaged by this company that places no value on its customers. Potential customers may want to avoid this company.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

We've used Republic for almost 20 years without issues. BUT they failed to pick up our trash for more than 3 weeks in July, 2018 (as the fly population around our refuse container multiplied!). I made daily phone calls and got lots of promises that were all broken. Decided to end service with them and started with a new provider in mid-August. Called Republic to cancel and have their container removed. Now on the third date for this pick-up.

Received a bill for trash service September-November, and learned they canceled our Recycle service but not trash (their error). They added a $19 fee for picking up our recycling container (which we NEVER HAD). I was rebuked by customer service for not putting our container out on September 10, when I was told the pick-up was September 11. Wrong date entered in their system. A month after trying to rid myself of this horrifying company I am still waiting for billing to be straightened out and my container to be removed.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I literally call once a month. They forget to pick up half the time. Paid my bill and my account disappeared, they wanted me to start new service and pay a $53 fee. Wasn't happening. Two weeks later they caught their error. Offered me a discounted rate... Bill came with a $35 late fee!!! Whatever, I was over it. Put my trash out and they took my can. Hubby chased them down the street. The man had no clue what he was talking about and Said the trash can wasn't there when he stopped... Incompetent.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I canceled my service prior to moving. I had paid up my account to a month or 2 past when I needed their service. Upon calling I was informed I would receive a refund. I gave my new address at that time so the refund check would get to me. I never heard from them and a few months later received a collections letter in the mail. They did not refund me the amount that said they owed me but instead turned me over for a $50 fee I was never told to expect and was never billed for. They claim it was for picking up the trash cans I no longer needed but never once told me there would be a fee for that.

They also didn't credit me for the overpayment I was due. They only sent me straight to collections for something I shouldn't have owed. I made numerous calls and was told several times it would be taken care of. I was pregnant at the time and once my baby was born I didn't think about it again as I never heard from the collections agency again and thought things had been taken care of as promised. I recently checked my credit report and found nothing was corrected. I give one star on this review as zero is not an option.

This is the only derogatory mark on my credit and it's all because of the poor customer service this company has!! They don't tell you about additional fees you will incur. They don't refund or credit you when you've overpaid... They apparently didn't bother updating my address when the new info was given so they never sent a bill... and never once called me about the supposed balance and turned me right over to collections. Not sure what they do that is right!

Republic Services Company Information