1.11/5
Need a utility company?

Last updated: April 16, 2018

334 Republic Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 16, 2018

My city has been using this service for the past two years and after the first year they would pick up my recycle or trash every other pickup day. This bugs me a lot because I have 5 cats, 2 dogs, 4 mice and about 40 chickens and 4 ducks. So basically I am a “chicken farmer”. All of those animals = a lot of poop and trash. Republic Services suck. I want to talk to my mayor about switching back to Waste Management. For starters there is little to no differences in the prices and they pick up everything. Republic Services are lazy.

Original review: April 13, 2018

They have missed many scheduled pickups at my business and there is no point of contact outside of a call center that delivers messages to any operations team that hides behind them. When I finally got information for someone hiding behind them, it was only an email address of a sales rep. My email was never returned. I have 20 locations they serviced, I dropped them like a rock and they no longer get $4k of my business monthly. Moved to a local company and much better experience and their business/ops people don’t hide behind call center reps. Don’t waste your time, avoid this company.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: April 7, 2018

These guys are the laziest POS ever! If you call customer service expect a super long wait time. I have called them 3 time and the shortest time to talk with someone was 25:37 mins. It makes sense because I think they connect you to someone in Syria good luck understand if you speak English. You will need a Arabic translator. They're rude. Listen cheese ** you work for the customers or you won’t have any left. Will see how the Attorney General and the Better Business Bureau like listening to my recorded call.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: April 5, 2018

Stay away from this company (also known as Republic Services). I used them for years and never missed a payment, every quarter they increase the price and when I finally got fed up I called to change my billing cycle from quarterly to annually in hope of reducing the payment and boy that was a big mistake. They slapped the cost of 1 year on 3-month invoice, I called customer service and explained the error and they promised to fix it. But 8 calls and 3 month later nothing was fixed so I decided to cancel and go with another company which cost about half what I used to pay Republic Services. The last call I made they confirmed that the account was closed and I don't owe them anything. 2 month later I was contacted by a collection company requesting a payment of over $100. Save your time, money and aggravation and find another company.

Original review: April 4, 2018

This is the 4th time in 3 months Republic "Services" has not picked up my trash. I have to call them and I get customer service but nothing happens. They ask if I want a "missed pickup" but then they don't come anyway. So I'm going to at least warn other people if they have any other choice not to use this company. They should take "service" out of their name. The only prompt service they give is in sending their bill.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Republic Services?

Original review: March 30, 2018

Keeps charging me for non-existent extra garbage. Contacted them for 6 times now, been promised it would be taken care of... They don't give two **... still charging me illegally for something they should not. Next step - the court.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Spoke with a CS rep. when we had service interruption and she researched to find a 0 balance on our account. One week later, we receive an email from a different CS rep. indicating a balance of $24 from almost 1 year ago. An inquiry as to why this was just made aware to us as we have autopay revealed a plethora of excuses and poor customer service as well as inconsistent trash service. One week it was picked up, one week it was not. Then, the topper was an over $85 invoice for the original $24 bill, another $24 AND a $35 interruption fee. This invoice arrived AFTER the $24 was mailed from October 2017. There is a complete lack of organization in this company as well as a complete disregard for any form of customer service. I am uncertain if they have a concept of what it means to serve a customer, let alone keep one. It’s absurd.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: March 12, 2018

I have to call several times a month to report a missed trash or recycling pickup. The entire neighborhood is impacted by this and I always receive a bogus excuse when I call customer service to register a complaint. The service is absolutely the worst and unfortunately we have no choice. We used to use LECK services and they were fabulous but unfortunately there were acquired by Republic Services and we are stuck. I hope someone from the corporate office reads this because you really have a lot of work to do to improve and gain back the confidence of your consumers!!!

Original review: March 10, 2018

First, we were very satisfied with the overall service from our garbage men. Very nice, efficient and went beyond what was expected; would even receive Christmas cards from the G-Man. What we are disappointed with is the cost of the service. Little did we know we could have called months ago to negotiate a lower price for service. We have been customers for at least 15+ years and were never notified we could have lowered our bill. When we did call them, after finding out our neighbors paid half of what we pay, they said they could reduce our bill by 50%. We have two different accounts, so after doing the math, we have way overpaid! We cancelled our service with Republic and have set up service with their competitor, who is half the price. We certainly don't need to remain loyal to a company who doesn't appreciate our business.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Their service is way overpriced. Double what you can get elsewhere. Their drivers are down right rude as are their customer service and sales reps. Beware, once you get involved with this company it is hard to get away from them without paying outrageous fees. They will make all kinds of deals with you to get your business, but will not hold up their end of the bargain. When I cancelled my service because of this reason, they sent ME a bill for $200.00 to pick up THEIR container. When I called customer service, their reps who have horrible phone etiquette cold transferred me to a sales rep who rudely picked up the phone asking what I wanted. Didn't state her name, or ask if she could help me. My experience with this company has been a huge hassle.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Dealing with Republic Services has been a nightmare. Communication with their Billing Dept, their Customer Service Dept, and their customers is completely inadequate. The best way to get along with Republic Services it to have no dealings with them at all. Trying to make sense with them may take an emotional toll on you like it has on me. Find a reputable company to pick up your trash.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Well after calling and complaining to them personally about this I figured I'd try this. I get tired of having to pick up garbage off my street from them dropping it everywhere. I buy a brand new garbage barrel with an attached lid and within a week they have it broken off so it goes down the street on windy days. And then these guys have the nerve to put a card on my garbage barrel on the holidays begging for money. Yeah right!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

My entire road was skipped for trash pickup 3 weeks in a row. Trash pickup is every Monday, but myself nor my neighbors received pickup on 1/29/18, 2/5/18/ or 2/12/18. I reported each missed pickup with phone calls to customer service, as well as submitted a missed pickup report online through my customer account. During the week of 2/12/18 I called every day demanding an explanation that I never received. I was promised two phone calls from supervisors the week before that I never received.

A supervisor is NEVER available to speak to when you call. Finally on Thursday the 15th, I was told I was being transferred to the Escalation Department to speed up the process of my "issue and missed trash pickups". After calling for 3 weeks in a row this is the first time I was even told they had an Escalation Dept. I could be transferred to. Once transferred to the Escalation Dept. I spoke to someone who promised my trash would be picked up immediately, and it was picked up the next day!

Finally after three weeks and over 10 phone calls into customer service, along with reporting the missed pickups online via my customer account, my trash was finally picked up that Friday for the first time in 3 weeks. Fast forward to the next week and my trash is picked up again, all seems to be back on track now. Although I NEVER got an explanation as to why my pickups along with my neighbors were skipped 3 weeks straight. The next week we are back to inconsistency, on 2/26 my trash was skipped for pickup AGAIN.

This means I have only have ONE on time pickup in the past 5 weeks. I just called today to cancel services, I am switching to another company, one that a few of my other neighbors use who appear to be reliable and always on time. My poor customer service with Republic dates back to when I first signed up in April 2017. At one point I was also paying them for recycling pickup, but they would NEVER pick my recycling up so I canceled it and only received trash pickup, but they seem to not be able to be reliable with that either... So they will no longer be receiving any of my business. I pay for trash pickup 3 months in advance, so of course I expect to receive the service considering I have already paid well in advance for it.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I'd rate them 0 stars if possible. First, when I called them to begin service last summer, I was told my bill for the first quarter would be $53. I distinctly asked them if there would be any other charges. The answer was 'no - just the $53'. My first bill was $126 - full of various surcharges and first time charges. At first, garbage and recyclables were picked up on Mondays. Suddenly this January, without notice, they started picking up recyclables on Thursday. Three times I called and asked for an explanation. Three times I was promised a call back within 24 - 48 hours. Three times I was never called back.

Early this February I called them to cancel service and go with another company. They told me they would refund the portion of my Jan - Mar payment that was unused. I asked if there would be any charges, to which they answered no. This past week I received a bill for $17. My invoice showed a $27 container removal charge + almost $10 in surcharges. This amount ate up all of my refund leaving me the aforementioned balance.

I called to complain, and the rep told me she'd remove the surcharges but NOT the container removal charge. I reluctantly agreed, paid the balance of about $7 over the phone, and asked for some sort of written receipt (email). All she would give me was a confirmation number and reference number. Today, they are still showing that I owe them almost $10 for the surcharges. By contrast, the company I switched to has (so far) kept their word. No extra charges, and their invoices have only one line item - namely a charge for picking up garbage. I'm saving about $20/mo with this new company.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I had been a customer for 2 years with Republic and finally decided to look elsewhere due to inflating prices. In the 2 years as a customer my bill went up over $25 per cycle. Also when you call to cancel they play that game of let's try and lower your bill to keep you, I despise these tactics because that only signifies to me that you do not value your current customers. If there is a lower price I could pay you should offer it to me regardless. Anyways when you cancel they then bill you for a trash can removal fee plus their infamous environmental fee. Republic is all about fees. My new trash service is much cheaper and has no fees that Republic is famous for. Best decision I could have made!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Do not rent a dumpster with this company, it is the worst experience that my family and I had. They have really bad customer service, every time you call is someone else on the phone and they want to create a new account and charge you again, there is no communication in its customer service dept. Managers do not solve you any dumpster's problems, any overcharge problem they overcharged us, they have a lot of hidden fee. When you order a dumpster, they promise 24 hours dumpster p/u and it takes about a week for any dumpster p/u, we have to put our construction on hold because of them. DO NOT RENT A DUMSPTER WITH THIS COMPANY. YOU WILL BE SORRY.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Missed pick ups, trash taken out of can and left on side of road, terrible customer service and unbelievably high prices for all this. You can never speak to a real person because they leave you on hold for over a half an hour at the least. As a person with a job, it is impossible for me to stay on hold like that for several times a day. When you email them a complaint they tell you to call if you want to register a complaint. Unbelievably poor customer service. Cancelled service and was told I had to pay a retrieval fee for the can. I argued this point and was told that I would not have to pay. Then got a bill for the retrieval of the can and service that we did not receive... because we did not have the can! Most people in my neighborhood are leaving this company for a more reliable and cost effective company. One that we can actually contact with relatively ease. How does this place stay in business?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I was charged and I have paid over $8600 just for garbage on my 7-unit rental property. A larger (11 unit) place in Inglewood is charging me $3600 for the same size bin. Is there anyone who can look into this and hold Republic Services accountable for this?! I have called them every month for the past year to see why it is so high. I am told someone will look into it and call me back. I'm still waiting!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I am very unhappy with Republic Waste. Our pickup day is Monday and today is Tuesday at 8:45 pm and they never showed. This has been happening every week for over a month. I understand holidays, but this obviously isn't the case! I have trash that needs out of my house and nowhere to put it! What are they doing? Btw, I saw them at 1 pm today a couple blocks away. Why didn't they make it here in 5 hours?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I contacted Republic Services several weeks before moving from my home in Missouri to my new home in Alabama to make arrangement for my final bill. I was told nothing about a fee for picking up my waste container at my old residence. Almost two months later I received a bill for $32.60 for the removal of this waste container. I think this is an ridiculous charge and if they are going to charge for this I think this is an excessive amount. I was a customer for 7 years and endured their high fees and ever increasing prices for services without complaining. If I would have known I was going to be charged this fee as a final insult I would have loaded this container in my truck and delivered it to them. Generally mediocre services at best and extremely high prices. Never any warning about the price increase. They just surprise you on your bill. Hopefully this will be the last I will hear from them.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Had Republic Services for 10+ years... Service for trash collection has steadily declined over the past year. Service was skipped over the holidays, I was fed up and finally cancelled today...not only do they charge DOUBLE what other trash services charge, they are charging $36/container to pick them up?? There is nothing documented on the bills and no contract to notify customers that they charge a pick-fee for their containers. Absolutely unprofessional and a complete rip-off.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Cannot manage to pick up recycle bins on time. This is an ongoing issue. They could care less. Today I come home to find all my bins completely blocking my driveway. This company is a monopoly in this area, we have no other choice. They know it, so why should they care about anything except collecting their fees? We can't cancel and use another service. We had other choices, these sob's bought them all out. They are simply BULLIES.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

The service is for a rental home in a rural area near Fort Worth Tx. If there was ANY OTHER service available, I would do it in a heartbeat. The service is ok. But the rates are now over $65 a month for TRASH SERVICE. I live down near Houston and I pay $85 for 4 months of service and I live in a rural area there too. Sure the trash service costs 35 but then we have fuel fee, service fee, admin fee, collection fee, recovery fee - I can't stand to open the envelope every month because I know there will be another rate hike.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Extremely poor to criminal customer service. Canceled my service after many unsubstantiated charges and overbilling. Canceled in December and they refuse to pick up my containers. Have called them twice and they still have not picked them up even though I canceled in December.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

For the 3rd time, Republic has failed to pick up my trash as scheduled and has claimed to have "credited" my account. NO, they haven't. They have either increased my fees or this time charged me a ridiculous late fee of $8. They do this as a scam to offset their reimbursement and it's total BS. Where is my "late fee" for my garbage sitting there for a week?? WORST and most DISHONEST company out there. Do not trust them.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

Called to set up service. I have neighbors who use them for 3 yard Dumpster pickup. Was told everything was good to go, dumpster would be delivered the following Friday. Friday came and went, no delivery. Called to find out why. A very rude woman told me they don't service my area. I explained to her that I have neighbors that use them. She got really annoyed and put me on hold while she said she would into it.

30 minutes later she came back and said they don't service my area. I ask to speak with her supervisor. After another long hold time, an even ruder woman got on the phone and just said "no". I ask to speak with her boss and was told "no, they don't deal with the public". Later that day, a person from the local office (Chula Vista, CA) called to tell me she was looking into it. After a week of waiting she called and told me "they are discontinuing service to my area". I have talked to others in my area that use them, as far they know, no change is in the future.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I used Republic Services for several years and had no issues with pick-up. Whenever the price went up a little more than I felt was acceptable I would call them, threaten to leave, and they would adjust the price a bit. A few months ago I received a letter stating that they wanted all customers to sign a three-year contract, noting that prices would rise but we would at least know in advance. I figured this was a good time to shop around and I am glad I did. I was paying $103.00 every two months for two large carts and weekly pick-up for both garbage and recycling. I found a company that provided the same sized carts and the same pick-up schedule for $58.00 including all fees.

When I called Republic to cancel they tried pretty hard to get me to stay. I was actually impressed with how low their price went but they still couldn't match the price from the other company. They wanted to know who I went with and I told them they could call around since there were only five other licensed trash haulers in my city. I will say that Republic had a lower price for yard waste pick up but I don't use that service. I have been very satisfied with my new service and the lower payment.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Before I use other company pick up my restaurant trash 3y only 120. But right now city requires only Republic Services. Prices no choices. Whatever they said double price 216. But this month 2018 1. See my bill turned to 223. No choices.

Updated on 01/12/2018: Now no the others company services pick up. Only Republic Services. The price belongs to Republic Services. Whenever can raise prices.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I received an online bill for 51.40 that told me a due date of December 20 and I made the payment the 19. On the 18 they did a lien and charged me 210. They won’t reverse. My bill said December 20 not the 18. It’s a scam... Ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Republic Services, who was no longer retained as the municipal refuse company for our village, erroneously invoiced my family for services after their contract expired. My wife and I received an invoice (in July) for July through October, which my wife subsequently paid. Albeit the fact our bill from Republic Services was only $70, my wife in good faith, made the payment in the usual fashion. What is worse than the fact that Republic Services sending us an invoice for service we didn’t receive, is the abysmal customer service they offer, and no resolution to refund the moneys we are owed. Again, we are only talking one billing cycle of services we were incorrectly billed for, but here we are 12/10/17 and still Republic Services is holding onto my money. I find this unacceptable. How many other people in Lake in the Hills did this happen to?

I have made at least 2 calls to Republic Services, and my wife at least another 2. Between phone calls and emails, we have made 6 attempts to reach Republic Services. Email/contact requests are not answered timely or at all, and on phone calls we are given the run-around, where time after time they promise the refund is coming. Each time we call, the timeline of refunds due is pushed back further and further. Now, I am willing to accept ½ of the responsibility for making this payment to Republic Services. I personally, should have been more on top of it, and intercepted the bill prior to it being paid. However, I am on Active Duty with the US Air Force, and currently deployed to the Middle East. With all the other stresses going on at home prior to deployment, this one slipped past me.

I did catch it at a later date when my wife and I were going through our monthly expenditure, and that’s how this whole situation started. If I hadn’t caught the bill we wrongly paid, how much longer would this have continued? At this point, I no longer know what to do. My wife and I feel a full refund of these charges is not unreasonable, but we’re rapidly approaching a point where just a refund is unacceptable. I feel a formal apology is necessary, along with a full audit on their part to ensure and guarantee no other LITH resident is in this situation. After all, Republic Services’ website boasts their 5 essential core values – be respectful, Responsible, Reliable, Resourceful and Relentless.

Their website further states they are a passionate and professional team who keep their customers at the heart of it all. Would you ever want to do business with Republic Services again, after hearing what I am going through? I personally am glad our village is no longer doing business with Republic Services. I remind you – I am currently deployed to the Middle East and dealing with this while away from my family over the Holidays. Lastly, in closing, I want you to know I am not a coward nor a keyboard warrior hiding behind an email address, but more rather a genuinely upset and very concerned member of the public who has serious issues with the way Republic Services has behaved and is currently treating people who they owe money. If only I had access to Republic Services CEO directly, I would copy him/her on this email. Allow me to Thank You for any help you can offer me in this situation.

Republic Services Company Information