Republic Services - Waste Management

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

It pains me to have to provide even a 1 star to complete this review; they are undeserving of any star. This company continuously misses scheduled pickups and does not seem concerned when you contact them to complain. After the 4th missed pickup, my complaint was elevated to corporate. However, I never received a return call and my pickups continued to get missed. Finally, I canceled my services. To date, I am still waiting for them to pick up the trash missed over a week ago, despite 2 phones calls and 2 scheduled pickup dates they have come and gone. I have found a new service but still need for them to pick up what was missed. I don't know how Republic Services stay in business. I have decided to forward my complaint to BBB. Dealing with this company is exhausting!

I'm very disappointed, because when I first signed for the services, I was told that in the case that my company had to close, the fee for the container removal was going to be $50.00. Sadly I had to close my restaurant. I called them and talk to a nice lady in customer service, explaining, that I did not have enough money to pay all the bills, and was closing my restaurant. Republic Services charged me $220.00 to remove the trash container and the recycling container!! It is outrageous. They are located really close to my restaurant. I think they don't care about the customer. Definitely the next time, when I open another restaurant I will find another company.

I've had to call Republic Waste numerous times to have them actually empty the trash receptacle, only to be disappointed the following week during trash pickup. I haven't had any satisfactory answer as to why this happens (for 5 months now) and will look to see if other options are available in this area. Their service is HORRIBLE.

This company services is Horrible. I don't know where to began. They've missed my pickup a few times without notifying me. The reason was they said their workers were running behind and they couldn't pick up until following day and of course that was told to me after I had to call in to them. I also made a payment to them about 3 weeks ago and I was wondering why the payment wasn't drafted out of my bank account yet. And I called the company and the young lady explained to me that my payment was made and I was fine.

I got a letter about a week later stating that they're suspending my services and charge me late fees. Come to find out my payment was processed incorrectly. The young lady and I called my bank to verify that the funds were available at the time I paid my bill and I was told by the young lady that she was waiving the late fees and the suspension and that wasn't done. Today is November 1st. They was supposed to pick up my trash and didn't pick because they just told me when I called that my services was suspended. Again a mistake and the young lady just had to refix the issue again. This company is horrible.

Republic Services raised our monthly fee without any notice, just sent a bill. When I called about it, they said they checked with other local services and needed to raise it to be competitive. I canceled our service and switched to another local service with a price lower than what we previously paid Republic Services and very much lower than what they are now trying to charge people. I was told they would send someone to get the container, but then they sent a bill for doing this. That container was provided as part of our service, for which we paid a monthly fee. If they didn't want to pick it up, we would have kept it. I refuse to pay for them picking up something that belonged to them and was paid for monthly. They are now threatening to send our names to a collection agency. They lied about the local services' prices and they are just out to charge people whatever they can.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Republic Services?

Ever since the City of Dickinson contracted with this company life has been hell. They miss pickups, lie about everything, stopped service for no reason, sent a false claim to collection agency, overcharged me, refusing to correct, and now hold the threat of stopping service if overcharge is not paid which will lead to city shutting my water service. Doesn't that sound like extortion? On my last attempt to remedy by phone they hung up on me.

This is the second time since I moved in that they have not picked up my trash. I just moved in. I have boxes. Sometimes I use the boxes as trashcans to put trash in so that the whole thing can go on the truck. Not with these trash divas. If the box is too tall (like 3 feet), they won't take it. If it's heavy (I'm 62 and I put it curbside myself), they won't pick it up. If there's anything that they don't like, they won't take it. If they might break a nail, they won't take it. If it's the wrong color, they won't take it. They are a bunch of lazy trash divas, and when their contract comes up for renewal at our condo, I will recommend that we go with someone else. I'm on the board.

I called them Tuesday 10/4/16 and told them my trash (nor the neighbor across from me) was picked up. She said they would try and get someone there by Wednesday evening. She looked and said the driver said it wasn't at the curb. My can was out there since Saturday evening, I told her that wasn't true and that they just missed our street. Because it was a lie, I made a complaint and someone was to call me back, they haven't. I have an extra can (fairly new) that I just use for clippings. They came by Tuesday evening and crushed the extra can. It was a company with another name and she said it was also theirs and they weren't responsible for my cans. I have put it out before and there was nothing wrong with it. I asked to speak to a supervisor who was suppose to call within 24 hours and again hasn't. When they picked up my can, they left my neighbor's. We are the only two on the block who use them. They stink.

If you are one of the unlucky victims of having to deal with this company I would recommend running as fast as you can to look for other services. Not only do they change service agreements in the middle of the billing cycle they fail to pick up trash and recycle on a regular basis and fail to follow up. When they do pick-up they leave empty cans in the middle of the driveway, in flower beds or worse in the road. Calls to customer service are a waste of time as nothing they promise is ever carried out. The worst part is if they owe you money for any reason they hold it instead of refunding as they promise to do. This is the worse trash removal company by far in the last 30 years that I have had service with. Look at all the BBB complaints!

Since signing with Republic Services Waste Management our nonprofit organization has experienced fraudulent charges, been overcharged, had a rate increase almost every month, went without garbage pick-ups on more several occasion (then they tried to charge extra because they had to pick up on an "off day" to make up for the day THEY missed), have had our driveway and drain pipes damaged by the dumpster driver, have had to twice move the edge of the dumpster off of the road where it was placed (after being dumped) in a very dangerous location to automobile drivers, and have had to pick up trash strewn all the way down the road from the dumpster truck driver's sloppiness. I have called their office numerous times to try to resolve these issues but your hold times of 45 minutes to 1.5 hours are outlandish. (The IRS actually answers the phone faster than Republic Services.)

We tried to switch companies only to find out that we were locked into a 3-year contract. So we decided to downsize the dumpster thinking we would save a little (and also be able to push it out of the road more easily on dumping day). But, switching sizes of dumpsters actually locks you in to a new 3-year contract. We are now in the process of sending a certified letter to the company (which they require) in order to cancel our contract. Republic Services is just one irritating thing after another after another after another. Bottom line - DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

Ending service after 13 years - 10/3/2016 spoke to customer service Shawna and manager Amy. Stopped my service a month ago due to moving out of state. Was told I would receive refund for months not used and then get a bill to remove containers which was never disclosed and we are being billed for it now. Customer service and management were very rude and unprofessional. We have had consistent overcharging billing issues that takes months to clear up, and if you wait for a credit they interrupt your service for nonpayment. They are not willing to work with their customers. I have never been treated so poorly. Also, being charged for pick up of containers that are still at the residence. My advice is to steer clear of them.

Our church canceled service with Republic when their competitor offered to take over the waste service. Unknown to the competitor, they were bidding our service at 1/3 of the cost of Republic. After checking previous bills, I discovered that Republic had been increasing our bill approximately $50 per month for the previous months. I contacted the Republic representative to cancel service, and ended up in an argument in trying to end service and have their container removed. Robert, the rep, stated that ALL charges had been paid-up by us, and that the can would be removed.

During the next three weeks I placed other calls trying to get the can removed, because I did not want to get into an argument on the can being used. Our church is a public place, and people have dropped their trash off into the can when we are not here. Many phone calls, very long wait periods on the phone, a few people that always told me what I wanted to hear and one terse email to Robert... the can was finally removed, and we did receive a bill for that month. I called and informed Republic that we would not be paying it, and they agreed with me.

Today I received a bill for removing the can. $213.01!!! As far as I am concerned Republic is dishonest and conniving in the way that they do business. We entered into a "fixed rate" contract with their competitor, and when I mentioned this to Republic, their response was, "You didn't ask for that!" I didn't ask for it with our new service, but they offered our church, who needs fixed bills due to fluctuating donations, a good deal. Republic just wanted money. I do NOT recommend using this service... even if they are the only one in town.

We are a 55 and older community who signed up for their trash and recycle disposal. We have been loyal customers of theirs for 14 years. Every 3 years we sign a contract with them at a very low rate and it slowly creeps up until it is double what we signed up for. We recently decided to cancel with them and they want to charge us 500 dollars to remove the bin, and $1,270 for "liquidated damages." They are stealing from old people and trying to hold us to a contract that is completely illusory. It's criminal what they are doing. If you do sign a contract, and do not send certified mail to them 60 days before the end of the term, it automatically renews you for another 3 years. Do not fall for it! Do not sign up for them. You will regret it immensely. It is a huge headache to cancel, and a tremendous waste of money.

We were obligated by the city of Dickinson to use this trash company. The rate went up. We had a Very good company with an excellent service Best Waste but the city officials made a good deal with Republic and we keep paying late fees and reconnection fees. Now I am going to have them get it automatically from my account. I live on SSI and we can not be paying this high rates. They are the only authorized company around here. Where can we complain If the city officials and government are getting a cut off this company by not letting other companies take our trash. We have no other choice and they do not pick up the trash as they should. We need other companies around here but city officials won't let them. What can we do?

We recently decided to change trash companies due to cost. When I called to cancel my service they told me I would be billed $30 for them to pick up the trash cans. When I said I would not pay this and just keep the cans, they said I would be billed $100. This is totally outrageous, the trash cans were not even Republic cans. I had also called a few months back to try and lower my payment, I was given one amount and then when I called back to change to that plan was told that price was wrong. Stupid me for staying with them so long.

At the end of July 2016, my trashcan was taken from outside my residence. I called Republic Services to order a new one, and the lady I spoke with was very pleasant and said it was on its way. 2 months, 6 phone calls with 6 different representatives and 1 supervisor later, I still do not have a new trash can. Every time I have called, the representative is very nice, but ultimately not helpful. Allegedly, multiple "cases" have been submitted, but every time I call, they have no record and are "appalled" at how long this process has taken. I have offered to come pick the trash can up myself, but was told "I don't even know where they come from".

This has been a completely absurd and unnecessarily lengthy process when they are at my residence once a week to pick up the rest of my street's trash, and when the representative told me they are in my area each day of the work week so it "shouldn't be a problem". Keep a close eye on your containers... if they mysteriously disappear, it will be a hassle to get a new one. I never even received a recycling bin, but I am so burnt out from the trash can, I won't even pursue that endeavor.

I have had 3 different experiences with this company in the last 3-4 months. The 1st issue happened when I placed trash in front of my home and everything was picked up except one bag... apparently deemed too heavy and not worth picking up. I left it out there and luckily the following pick up day they took it. The second time, I had my trash out in bags and in my trash can and nothing was picked up. All my neighbor's stuff had been taken, except for mine. I called and the first thing the woman on the line asked was how it was out there and how many bags I had in an accusatory tone. I explained and they arranged a pick up.

Most recently, I moved out of my home and left a lot of trash outside but took the time to make sure it was organized in boxes, bags and in my trash can. My neighbor text me that they didn't pick up any of it! I called and explained to the agent I had moved out of state and needed to request pick up since they missed my home again. When I told her there were boxes she said they would not touch any of it because of the boxes (which if this is the case maybe you should do a better job at informing the community of your rules). I asked her if there could be any exception since I am no longer there and can't do anything about it. She flatly said "No, we can't make exceptions." This was upsetting... would they just leave the trash out there indefinitely or wait for it to fall onto someone else's shoulders? So rude and unhelpful!

Stumped and bothered I got off the phone to contact my neighbor which needless to say was an uncomfortable request. Luckily my neighbor was beyond kind enough to bag up my trash. I called today to inform the agent (who based on her voice I believe to be the same as the day before), I told her that my neighbor had bagged the trash and that it was now ready for pick up. I also informed her I called the previous day. She then proceeded to tell me that my scheduled pick up days are Monday and Thursday in my old neighborhood (which thanks... I know, I lived there for a year!).

So I explained again that it wasn't picked up the previous day and my neighbor had bagged it so it didn't have to wait 3 days. She said it would have to wait til Thursday regardless. She wasn't helpful at all and had a snotty tone. I felt like she was annoyed I'd even ask! Between the inability to regularly pick up trash, the rude customer service rep and the inability to be understanding after I moved to a different state, I absolutely rate this company 1 star!

Called several times to resolve billing issues. No follow through, lied to, no follow-up, customer service reps did not care about anything that I had to say. Charged for services not used and charged an enormous amount for container pickup, $55.00 for waste container and $16.50 for recycle container.

I was not pleased when the City of Shakopee, MN changed their trash services to Republic Services. It's been a nightmare from day one!!! The most recent thing that set me off was double charging me (homeowner) and my renters for the same account. They charged my renters who paid in full for a year (awesome) and myself for the same account and services. They never caught this issue and let it go on for 4 MONTHS. I cannot believe someone didn't catch that they were charging two people for the same service on one account?!?!

It has taken over a month now with e-mails and numerous phone calls to get this situation under control and I STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED A CREDIT!! Today was another phone call asking about my credit and where it is? I should not have to babysit a company over a refund, who knows when I will see this refund if ever. DISGUSTED!!!

After about a year and a half, I am disgusted with this company! Never a correct bill, never good customer service! If I could give them lower than one star on this rating, I would! They don't deserve to be in business. They have a contract with the county, so they are the ONLY option! If this were anything other than trash, they would be shut down. I saw in the news today, the State of Washington filed a lawsuit against Comcast for deceitful business practices. Wish our state would look into Republic Services! My only option is to cancel them and haul my own garbage, which I am seriously considering!

I recently moved to the country and had trouble finding a trash service. I called Republic Services and left a message that I needed a quote for their service. A week later I received an email that said the charge would be $27.42 monthly for a once a week service. I then called them and told them I would like to set up a new account. During the call, I was never told that there would be additional fees charged each month. It took 2 weeks to receive the toter that they insist you use.

The 1st month's bill was over $50.00 but since I didn't receive an invoice, I had no idea what I was being charged for. I paid it because I figured there would be extra fees the 1st month and I didn't worry about it. The 2nd month's bill was $44.00. I called to find out why they had extra charges on my bill and that no one informed me that I would receive these extra fees. The next day I called to cancel service and thought that would be the end of it, but it wasn't. 1 week later, I had a message on my phone from a supervisor stating they would like to offer me a lower monthly rate to offset some of the extra fees. I called them and asked what lower rate amount they would like to offer and she said $22.00 a month rather than $27.42. So, they wanted to offer me $5.42 savings??? I said that doesn't seem to be much of a savings to me and that I would just rather stick to my cancellation from July 1st.

By this time, it was already July 14th. She said she would cancel the service and I said, the service was already cancelled July 1st and she said, "No your account is open and active and that the last bill will be for half of the month of July. I said, "NO!!! I cancelled 2 weeks ago!" So then she said, "Ok, we will not charge you for July but we do have to charge you $35.00 to pick up the toter we delivered to you!" Why should I have to pay for the toter that they wanted me to use? I could have just used the trash cans that I already own! I put the toter out for them to pick up on July 21st. I received a letter from them that said they came by to pick up the toter and it wasn't available for them to pick up and that they would charge me $75.00 if it wasn't picked up or brought to them by July 29th.

I called and spoke to customer service and they said they put it back through for them to pick up and that I shouldn't be charged. On July 29th, I called again to be sure that this was all taken care of and that I would not be charged $75.00 and customer service acted like this is the 1st they have heard of it! She told me the pickup was scheduled for August 3rd and that there would be no charge. I am not sure that this is over yet. We will see. I would not recommend using this company if you have a choice. The customer service is unacceptable in my opinion.

Am very upset with this Company about charging me for my neighbor trash and removal of their trash cans. I tried to explain it not my bill and customer person keep saying it my bill. It not my bill. Am very upset with this woman. Hear the story. I moved out of Readington NJ for 2 years. When I moved back I called and ask them to start my service again. Well, never had problem with this company until I can't login to paid my bill and then my problem started with customer service lady accused me of giving the wrong information. I tried to explain when I started service back up I gave all the information. Am still upset with this lady with her accused me of this

I live in two family home. One side is family and on the other side is me. Well in April 19, 2016 they came and took my neighbor trash cans and recycling cans. Mind you they had this service for awhile. Well I get bill saying $60.00 for removal and another 60 for garbage. May I point out everybody got new recycling bins. Am very upset and pissed off about this. I have started talking to people about this about trying to get a new garbage service in the area. I feel this wrong. Again am getting screw over again.

I have had Republic pick my trash up for 4 years. It started at 103.00 per month and they increased that sum to 265.00 per month. I found someone else to do it for 90.00 per month. I called to cancel and they said I couldn't. I was in a contract. It turns out they put in contract that it automatically renews after 3 years, but they kept increasing the price. These people are no good. Beware of them. They are putting me through hell. Get out now or don't ever use them.

Updated on 07/27/2016: I picked up a certified letter from Republic. Now they are trying to extort 1,400.00 dollars from me or they are going to sue me. Beware of this company, they have fine print in their contracts that automatically keep renewing for 3 years at a time. Don't use them. I found Horizon trash company that is doing the same job picking up a 2 yard dumpster for 90.00 per month. Republic was robbing me for 4 years and were charging me 265.00 per month.

The drivers are great but the office customer service is not so great. The price keeps going up so we called to cancel service. We cancelled service in the middle of June. We were told there would be a credit for partial month but there was not. We were told to have the tote ready for pickup. It has been ready for a month now. We also are being charged $20 to have this tote picked up, besides the monthly fuel charges. We called to clarify the pick up of the tote again today. It will be scheduled. It was supposed to be picked up within 10 days of end of service. We already have another trash service with another tote. NO CREDIT AND ADDITIONAL CHARGE TO STORE THEIR TOTE FOR THEM. Bad business practice.

When I opened my business in 2010, I was required to switch my residential account with Republic Services to a commercial account. In 2010, this company had all their containers and the rates associated with them available online and it was easy to determine what size dumpster I would need and how many days a week I would need pick-up service. After careful consideration of the options available, I chose a 4 yard dumpster container, along with pick-up service 2 days a week, for a quarterly-billed amount of $600 + a nominal container charge. I had to call customer service to formally execute the contract. (This service is no longer available online. You have to call them for assistance.)

For 6 years Republic Services, with the exception of a few missed pick-ups, regularly emptied my dumpster 2 days a week...until a few weeks ago when I noticed that it was only being picked up once a week. I called customer service to report a missed pick-up day. The CS rep said they would send a truck out that day to empty the container, which they did. The next week the container was only emptied once. I called CS again to report another missed pick-up. This time I was informed that I was only scheduled for one pick-up a week.

I told the rep that wasn't correct, I had signed up for 2 pick-ups a week in 2010 and they had picked up 2 days a week for 6 years. That's when, "the trash hit the fan", so to speak and the CS rep started to get a little annoyed. She told me that even though I had requested service once a week, sometimes their drivers would pick up containers more often, if they were in the area, so I was actually lucky that this had been happening for so many years. After hanging up, I figured I had better check into the matter further.

Later that day, (Friday June 17th) I went online to the Republic Service website to review my account and was surprised to find that this company literally makes NO information available to their customers, other than the customer's name, service address, any past due amounts owed, the current amount due and a payment history that only shows the last quarterly payment. You have to call them for "assistance" if you want any other info regarding your account, or anything else. It wasn't possible for me to review what services I had previously, when/why/how those services were modified, or who it was that actually modified/updated/made changes to my account. If I wanted to know more, I had to either fill out a request form and state my issue, or call and speak to an account representative. I filled out the online form, stated my problem and hit send.

Monday morning, (June 20th) a Republic Services account rep called to inform me that she had thoroughly reviewed my account and investigated my issue. I was once again informed that their records indicated that I had only requested pick-up once a week and the amount I was being charged was consistent with that. I told the rep that their records were wrong, because before I switched my residential service to their commercial service in 2010, I had spent a considerable amount of time comparing what they had to offer with what I could afford. Because of that I distinctly remembered ordering the 4 yard container and 2 pick-up days a week, as I knew that one day a week would not have been adequate for my needs. The rep asked if I had a copy of that agreement and I said, "No, it was all done over the phone and a hard copy was never made available to me."

After a long pause, (so long that I thought the call had actually been disconnected) she sighed and said she'd have to ask customer service if they had the initial agreement. (How this woman, "... thoroughly investigated my account..." without referring to that document is beyond me.) I told her that would need to be done in order to move this issue forward. She sighed heavily again, then haughtily replied that she'd contact CS to see if they had a copy of the agreement and then get back to me.

That was 2 days ago and I really don't expect to hear back from them. It's standard procedure for them to claim the agreement says 1 day a week, or say they have no agreement on file. They are aware that this will leave me unable to prove otherwise. Apparently, they don't have to provide customers with hardcopy of the agreements, or make details of accounts available online for customers to examine when problems arise. This company knows the only remedy customers have is to take them to court, which costs more money than the average customer can spare. If a customer does manage to get them into court and wins, it's well documented that Republic Services retaliates by placing liens on homes for non-payment, whether it's true or not. They get away with this over and over again!

This company has been allowed to run rampant for FAR TOO LONG! The issues I've had and those I've heard from other Las Vegas residents indicate that local management does whatever they can get away with in order to squeeze more money out of us, including physically altering contracts and changing the terms in agreements. This company has a government contract in Las Vegas, so they are a monopoly and are accountable to no one...a fact they use to their advantage with impunity!

I am very disappointed with the type of customer service that I received from this company. I called to question about the extra charge on my bill for a "call back" service because it did not get pick up by the driver on service day when the compost bin was out on the curb the night before. I did not appreciate the accusatory tone that I got from Terra, the service representative, that we did not put the bin out by 6 am. Even when she told me that the charge can be removed based a dispute, she still insisted that we were at fault. The unprofessionalism displayed by your service representative was really uncalled for. I called to complain about her the following week, and I got the same type of treatment from the supervisor, Angela.

Just because this company is the only company that service my area, I do not think anyone should be treated like unfairly and unjustly. 3 weeks from the incident of extra charge, I got another missed collection, and again I had my bins out the day before. I truly believed that they have an on-going issue, but is afraid to address it.

Republic Services bought our former trash company where we were We are Pay As You Throw customers, meaning that we pay in advance for stickers to attach to each trash bag when we put them out for collection. Republic's introductory letter assured us that they would continue the Pay As You Throw program as run by our previous company.

The deal was to include every other week recycling pick up at no extra charge. Instead, we were billed what amounted to an additional charge of $14.50 per recycling pick up. We were also billed an additional $30 for delivery of a recycling container. That fee was undisclosed both in their advertising and by their representative at the time we ordered the container. We also are being billed another $30 fee for pick up of a recycling container that we didn't have for a pick up that never occurred.

I have made 3 lengthy phone calls to resolve the bills. According to the Pay As You Throw plan, we owe nothing. I am assured each time that the fees have been waived since they were undisclosed and that the charges for pickup have been removed. What I get instead are suspension notices and letters threatening to send the "unpaid" bill to a collection agency, which would negatively impact our credit.

Today I received yet another suspension notice in the mail for our "unpaid" bill. I will have to waste yet another 30 minutes of my life on the phone in an attempt to resolve the issue. Enough already. I will take my business elsewhere. DO NOT do business with this company! They are less than ethical and completely unable or unwilling to resolve the most basic of problems.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I want to retract my complaint towards this company. My complaint is against Waste Management, not Republic Services. I have never done business with Republic Services and apologize for the negative review against them as I have no association with them and never have.

Angela of Toronto, OH on

Original Review

This is the worst company I have ever done business with. They pick up the trash when they feel like it. They miss pickups and change your date of pickup with no warning leaving trash sit on the curb until they get it. They inflate the prices with no warning. They refuse to respond when you file a complaint. I filed two complaints with the BBB on this company, somehow with so many complaints against them they still manage to have an A-plus rating with the BBB which is just ridiculous. If the BBB would actually look out for the consumer instead of the company it would save a lot of people a lot of trouble. Most people don't look past the rating to see the large amount of negative reviews on the company. This company sucks and I have made two requests to cancel my service but have not gotten a response yet while they continue to charge me for service I do not want. I will never deal with them again or pay them another penny.

They continuously do not pick up my garbage. They were supposed to pick up today, 6/3 but never showed up meaning my garbage will sit out on the curb all weekend as I can't bring back into garage as it's too hot and will cause an odor. Continuously! Something must be done. I've just looked up reviews and there are so many complaints. Please please do something for us!

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolved.

Susan of Newtown, PA on

Original Review

I have been waiting for 3 months for a credit from Republic Services. I cancelled my account and they billed me $60 for the removal of 2 trash cans. Nowhere is it stated that there is a removal fee and I won't pay to have them remove their trash cans. Terrible company. Four phone calls and three emails and no response.

Republic Services - Waste Management Company Profile