Republic Services

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I have called this business 3 times and my landlord has called an additional time to complain about the time this company picks up trash. Multiple times it's picked up at 4am, 4:36am, 5am, and today 5:36 am. The pickup is at a cleaner's American Cleaners in Watson Road but the dumpster backs up to a residential complex. I would think there is a law about waking people up to pick up trash. They need to wait until 7am. I'm thoroughly disgusted with the lack of results from this company and I'm sick of being woken every Tuesday for them to pick up trash.

We cancelled service in July prior to our next billing cycle... Then they charged us a 5.00 late fee for God who knows what. Now they are charging us an additional 97.00 for removal of their waste cans that we were renting monthly... That they never informed us we would have to pay for them to pick up their containers!!! Downright criminals. Stay away from this company!! Many cheaper mom and pop services out there who provide better service for a way cheaper fee.

I initially asked them for a 40 Yard Dumpster at a location. The dumpster never reached on the said time. It took forever for them to place a dumpster on the location. The workers came and since they were without a dumpster they did not do any work and I had to pay them for the whole day. I had to call them again and again. Then once the job was finished I asked them to remove the dumpster, again they took forever to pick it up. For almost 2 months the dumpster was just sitting at the location for no reason.

Neighbors started to dump their stuff too in it. Adding more injury to my wound, they confused my invoice with my order at another location. It took forever to explain it to them and mess around with correct amount of money due; one time they will say a particular amount, then later they will say otherwise. They will waste your precious time on the phone. You will call them again and again and they will not resolve your issue. Absolutely waste of time company. I will never ever recommend you this company. There are other good one out there.

OMG, where to begin. First of all, my ex wife had the trash bill in her name only, so when she moved out after our divorce, she left an unpaid balance of $90. I called Republic Services to start new service in my name with a new account number. They said ok and after a week they suspended my service and said I had an unpaid balance of $90. I argued with several different people including a supervisor named Christine in the Phoenix AZ call center and headquarters.

They took me to a collection agency with my name only and said I owed $151. I paid all the money at once and they still haven't returned my container and they still haven't reopened my account. They did all this to me because it was for my address even though my ex wife was responsible for the bill before she moved. I was responsible for the mortgage, she paid the utilities. This place has serious issues and every time I called I got someone different who would always tell me something different that didn't make sense. This company needs to be reported and investigated by the Better Business Bureau.

They came door to door and offered a deal. I had adequate service with them for 2 years. After always paying my bill on time and cancelling service they want another $162.04 from me. Now I have bill collectors contacting me. The yard service was about $130 for the season Apr. thru Nov. I cancelled in March, they said I was under "contract" for another month which put me 1 week into yard service. They want to collect for the entire season, and then about $30 service charge to pick up their containers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Republic Services?

We had been very responsible customers of Republic Service since 2011. We paid our quarterly bills on time without a single day delay. We had to move to another city due to new job and we listed our house for sale. Republic Services were sending bills quarterly and we still were paying our bill even though we were not getting service from them. Because we didn't want to cancel the service before the house is sold. After we paid three months advance bill (Feb, March & April) in January 2016, they stopped billing us afterward and we didn't even notice that they were not billing us.

All of a sudden, we got a letter requesting to pay $151.25 from a collection agency on July 28, 2017. This was a shock to me. Because they themselves stopped billing and in addition they never try to contact us by the cell phone they were using to call us in the past. In addition, we were paying $74 quarterly and so I didn't understand how they came up with the above figure. I contacted them by phone and they were not helpful. I sent email twice, they didn't respond to it. I am paying the whole amount today as I don't want to have a dent on my credit history due to such horrible customer service.

To make a LONG story short, I signed up with Republic Services in 2012 and my bill for a 4 yd. dumpster was about $100 a month. At the beginning of 2017 my monthly charge had gone up to almost $175 a month. After many, many minutes on hold and many promises to lower my rate and promises of faxing a new contract I finally gave up and contacted a different trash company.

I sent Republic Services a registered letter requesting that they pick up their dumpster on Aug. 31. They didn't pick it up and now they are saying they can't pick it up for a couple more days. I have never dealt with a more unethical and dishonest company. I don't know how they can stay in business. I would strongly recommend that people do not do business with this company.

Republic Services forgot to pick up a dumpster at a rental house down the road from me and six months later, it was still there. When the new tenant moved in, he asked that the dumpster be retrieved. The geniuses at Republic instead picked up MY dumpster down the road as they had lost any record of the previous dumpster, leaving that one still sitting, overflowing with trash. When my husband called to ask what the deal was, he was informed that even though it was technically Republic's fault, he would need to pay up the bill and also pay two months in advance "for a new service". So instead of righting their wrong and acknowledging their screw-up, it apparently was actually our fault that they can't keep track of their dumpsters. This is not the first issue that I've had with Republic and their horrible customer service. Mostly I am disappointed that I even bothered to give them another chance and allowed this to occur.

More like Ripoff Services. Raises prices constantly! I have 1 96 gallon trash can, I've paid up to $60 a month, I keep having to call and complain. March 2017 they raised it $9 up to $40. I called and complained this last August, they changed my bill to $18, now all of a sudden, my bill is $91?!?! The last time I threatened to switch they said I would have to pay a $135 removal fee for THEIR trash can!! I'm SO done with this stupid company!! I could take a Take a trailer full of trash to the dump for $13!!!

After 5 years of using them and the bill kept rising, we shopped around. Decided to change companies and cancelled their device. The conversation was "we hate to lose your business and would like to price match." What? So why raise our bill? Because we didn't complain. We were told we owed nothing due to being mid month. So 4 months later we received a letter from a collection agency for 11.52 for picking up our dumpster. The letter stated that after numerous attempts that we had not paid the bill. We never received a single letter or bill. They knew where to pick up our trash but our bill wasn't received. What is this? Put a mark on our credit for 11.00 that we did not ever get a bill for! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM!!!

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY. It seems like a common theme among every other comment on here about Republic. They give lousy service and no customer service at all unless you call lies customer service. I canceled service with them 5 months ago after about 2 years of poor service. When they missed a pickup and I would call they would tell me that the truck was in the area and would be there later in the day... This was the same story each day for 4 days in a row. They had no intention of picking up until the following week. This happened several times.

I got the same bogus call about owing them $33+ for each can for their trash can removal. When I told them there was nothing in writing that I have ever seen that stated there was pickup fee and we can settle it in court if they'd like. I asked them if there was still a fee if I dropped the cans off and they told me I could NOT drop them off... they had to be picked up. I called other haulers and asked if they charged a fee and was told no. When I asked one hauler if the charge that fee he said "You must have talked to Republic" - he already knew what they were doing to former customers. And said that what Republic was doing was illegal. I was also told that ABC News had done a negative consumer story about Republic. I intend to inform our township and local representatives. Hopefully they will be banned from doing business in our area.

I had originally ordered trash services with Raritan Valley Disposal, who were subsequently taken over by Republic. Over the last few years or so, the billing has been increased frequently, to the point where they are totally noncompetitive, pricing that is almost double the rates of others. In February I cancelled the service, and asked for the amount of the final payment for services through the end of March. I paid that immediately. In April I started receiving bills, and a warning letter. My online account shows that the account is closed, and when I talk to the representatives, they claim that I owe container renewal fees.

First of all I only had one container, and they are billing for two. Secondly, I inform them that I made the final payment they gave me. Their reply is the contract has a container removal fee included. I inform them I don't have a contract, and if they insist I do, they can send me a copy showing that I agreed to it. Of course, they can't send something that doesn't exist. The last time I spoke to someone there, they told me the billing would stop, but of course now I get another bill. My neighbors, and our church, have the same issue with this company. Unjustified rate increases and harassing billing practices are apparently part of their corporate strategy.

I cancelled my service at the end of July 2017 and then received a bill for a container collection fee, fuel recovery fee, and administrative fee. I called to contest this bill and was told a billing representative would give me a call. The following day (today) I received a call from a woman I assumed was from billing; I didn't get much info from her, except that she was from Republic Services. I stated my case to her in a very respectful manner (more flies with sugar) and though I realize my opinion on not wanting to pay is not going to be a popular one, it did not warrant the representative laughing at me and replying very condescendingly, that was not going to be okay.

I decided to contact the main customer service line again, where I was told a supervisor could not be reached. She told me to call back tomorrow and request a supervisor. (hmm?) So I simply called back right then and requested one. I finally got through to a Supervisor after asking many times on all 3 phone calls to speak to one. I explained my situation to her. And she said they had no record of anyone calling me today. I responded by giving her the rude woman's phone number that she called me from. She ended by saying that she was sorry I was treated poorly, but I would still have to pay all of the charges.

Ultimately, not only was the customer service I received deplorable, but I was told that, even though the cancellation policy can't be found on the website, and the "policy" on the back of my invoice doesn't mention Container Collection Fees, I should have been aware of it. A business cannot have a policy that is not accessible to the customer 100% of the time. Not to mention the "policy" on the back of the invoice states I am only responsible for charges during my billing period, and these charges were all issue after that ended. You can't charge for things you don't make the customer aware of and then threaten them with Collections Agencies. And their "Customer Service" is atrocious!

I have two container pick ups with this company. Trash is mostly picked up on time, but for the last 5 recycle container pick ups, 4 pick ups have been missed. So I do the usual and send them an e-mail because by the time I get home and realize they are not going to pick up, it is too late to call. Getting a response usually takes two days. By then the container may or may not be picked up. The option on their e-mail tells you that if you e-mail them by 4, it will be picked up the next day. This is a bit hard for people with jobs that get off at 5, and not home until 6. This company continues to raise its fees, even though gas has gone down, and their service seems to be in a race with gas prices... down, down down. You cannot e-mail any of their senior management or directors because they smartly do not give out any contact information. I believe their future in this neighborhood is on a very short leash.

Consumer Increased Rating!

When I signed up with Republic Services, their rates were reasonable, but after about a year with them, they started raising the rates they charged for trash collection so that within the course of a year and a half, the rate had been raised about $25 per quarter over the original fee. I found another company with more reasonable rates, and when I cancelled my service at the end of the quarter and the end of the billing cycle, they tried to charge me $33 for removal of the trash containers. This removal fee was not something I ever agreed to pay. The containers were removed, and I then received an e-bill for $66 about a month after I had cancelled my account. I called to tell them that my account was closed, and the woman told me that the $66 was for the removal of the trash containers. I again stated that I was not paying for the removal of the containers, which was now double what they told me originally the fee was for the container removal.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I was contacted by Republic Services after I filed complaints on a few websites. They reviewed all the information that I had provided and agreed that my concerns were fair. They agreed to waive off the fees that should not have been charged to me in the first place. This issue is now resolved and I am updating the overall star rating.

Bilal of Cumming, GA on

Original Review

Signed up for a service with Republic 2 years ago. Agreed on a monthly price and was NEVER told that there would be a trash can removal fee upon cancellation. I remained a customer for nearly 2 years and then republic tried to increase the monthly price. So I decided to cancel the service and move to another company. After cancellation, they sent me a bill for trash can removal fee. I called their customer service and talked to Rosanna who told me that this is a new fee that they have added and since they don't do any contracts, I am responsible to pay that fee.

I signed up for their service well before they introduced that fee and I never agreed to pay that fee. How can they charge a new fee to a customer who signed up even before they implemented that fee? She refused to help or waive off that fee or reduce it and even threatened to send my information to a collection agency to ruin my credit history. I am extremely disappointed by republic services. The way their customer service treats customers is also disgusting. They lure customers in by a lower monthly fee and without telling the customers, they trap them with these hidden fees. You only find out about the fees when you try to take your business elsewhere.

Have only had them about 6 months and they have only picked up my trash and recycling half that time. Numerous calls lead nowhere. Even when I insisted a manager call me, or a supervisor, no one ever contacted me. Needless to say, I cancelled my account. I will NEVER recommend them to anyone.

Republic Services (Hudson, FL) - 11 months after canceling service with these ** and moving out of state, they are still trying to charge us for service that we never used because they forgot to enter it to their computer system that we canceled service and we have now received a collection notice for the amount they say is owed. We moved from Florida in September of 2016. Back to Iowa, my wife called and canceled service the week before we moved. In October 2016, I received a bill stating that I owed them for 3 more months (October-December), I called them to remind them that we have canceled their services as of the end of September and moved out of state and they said that had not been noted on our account but that it would get taken care of. I said "Okay, thank you," and hung up, once again that was October 2016.

In May of 2017 I received another notice stating that I now owed them $169.79 because of late fees added on from October of 2016. Called them again on 7-1-2017, spoke to another person at customer service because you call the main office, and she said she had it all taken care of after about 45 minutes on the phone with her (she was very nice), and now today 8-3-2017, I get a collection notice in the mail stating that they are trying to collect $59.56, Called again today, 8-3-2017, they said my cancellation call in September and October 2016, was not noted. I was told it would be taken care of, call back in 2-3 days to check on it, as long as it is was not noted they can continue to bill me or send it through a collection agency. Would NOT recommend this company to anyone.

Had service with this company for about 6 weeks before I had enough. Out of the time we had service with them they actually picked up my trash 2 times on the scheduled day. The rest of the time I had to call them and get a rescheduled date, which they usually also missed. It became a weekly process of calling, going on their website to reschedule, hope they came, disappointment. This company charges a premium for their service in addition to forcing you to use their trash cans. Finally had enough and cancelled service. Now it's been over a week since we cancelled and I cannot get them to come get their stupid trash cans. This is the worst trash company I have ever dealt with. You're better off hauling your own trash than using these people. Avoid them at ALL COST!

The company I work for is forced to use Republic for our construction sites because the city we often work in has an agreement with them. I wish I were exaggerating when I say that they mess up our requests 100% of the time. Even though I ask them to repeat all of the information to me about the delivery date, address, placement, empty and return, empty and remove, etc., whatever they are supposed to do NEVER happens.

I spend on average 30 minutes to an hour every day with them trying to get things done, such a waste of my time. They emptied another construction company's dumpster and charged us - it took me 7 months, 32 phone calls, and many hours to get them to remove the charges even though they told me with every phone call that it had been taken care of - I received past due bills again each month for the charge. I use several other companies for other cities and they all do a great job, just wish I could use someone else for this particular city.

Received a letter from Republic Services letting me know if I don't pay in 10 days, my bill will go to collections and they removed the garbage cans. I looked at my bank statement and saw they had cashed the check in June and when I called them about it, they couldn't find it. I called and paid the balance since I didn't want it to go to collections so with that payment, they have 2 months of overpayment and I have no garbage service.

We have been a customer of Republic Services for 6 years with nothing but problems with accurate billing, being overcharged and mischarged. They use hydraulic arms that grab and dump their provided garbage cans but when they damage the cans, they send you a bill for $25.00 to replace the can. They raise the bill constantly because of fuel surcharges but when fuel costs go down they sure don't lower your bill to reflect it.

I called to resume service after it being cancelled due to non-payment since I was in the hospital and they wanted $253.00 plus taxes and fees to resume service. I said to the customer service representative that $250.00 plus seems a bit steep and I was told "IT SOUNDS LIKE IT’S TIME FOR YOU TO SHOP AROUND FOR ANOTHER TRASH SERVICE!". This is an absolutely unacceptable response from any customer service representative and this company will never get my business again and I will never recommend them to any of my neighbors. This is absolutely despicable company that should be ashamed of its business practices and the way it treats the people that choose to spend their hard earned money with them.

If you have any options other than Republic, use them. They are priced far above competitors and creep their bills constantly. They charged $181.00 just to pick up their container after I fired them and demanded I wait 60 days before they would pick up. Tony Soprano has nothing on these guys. If you are a commercial account avoid them if at all possible.

Well, I see I am not the only customer that has issues with Republic Services. My husband and I have contacted them over 30 times over the last several years regarding missed pickups, yet it still happens at least twice a year. The worst thing is that I don't have any other service options because they have a contract in my city, so I'm stuck with horrible service. That's what happens when there is no competition. You pay top dollar for extremely unreliable service. Then, I have to make several calls and/or send multiple emails every single time this happens and nobody can seem to help resolve the issue; it just keeps happening.

Getting reliable and competent service from this company is impossible. There is a lack of customer service, care, consciousness, ability to make things right. I have had my recycled out for weeks. First they stated one week for pick up, then I would call and it would be the next week. After 3 weeks of this incompetence, I was assured by a higher up that it would be July 8th, 2017. A day late, due to the holiday. It was not picked up. Called the following Monday the 10th and guaranteed it would be picked up on Tuesday the 11th. Customer service did want me to know that my pick up day was last Friday. Really?? You guessed it. Didn't happen on Tuesday, guaranteed for Wednesday.

Same thing happened on Wednesday. This time when I called got another higher up and he stated he contacted supervisor in the field. A lot of good that did me. It's a week later and still not picked up. I also had trouble with the trash pickup. Told I could put bags out next to can and it would be picked up. I left 4 bags and they were not picked up. Called. Told could only leave out 3 bags. Driver could not take the 3 out of the 4 bags, he decided not to take any. Who does that? Recycled still left out, still being told the next day and never has happened. They never even offered for a refund of any kind. No responsibility to their customers. Never had anything like this happen - ever!! Find someone else, pay more, otherwise you will be sorry...

I will have to admit we were very unhappy with Republic Services. They had overcharged us for months!!! We were about to get out of our contract and looking for a new waste company! Our previous Account Manager was not helpful at all. Did not help us in any way! I contact management about our previous Acct Manager Ms Catherine **. She was very nice, caring and understood our problem. She connected me in with our new acct. manager Courtney **. She is the kind of employee every business needs. She answered all of our questions and kept us as a happy customers. She was willing to work with us and we were able to reach an agreement. Thank you Courtney so much for all your help! I will recommend anyone to Republic Services if Courtney ** is your Acct. Manager!!!

For the 2nd time in a month, Republic has failed to pick up trash on scheduled day. It has been sitting curbside for 4 days; when I wrote their CC, I was told I would be scheduled for pick up Wed. Why bother? My regular day is Friday. What's 2 more days in 95 degree heat? I'm sick of their canned, rote apology letter. I'm sick of my trash being the only one curbside for a week, waiting for this crap company to decide to do the job I'm paying them to do.

Not really shocked to see the Horrible rating for this company. One week they pick up just my recycling and the next week only my green waste. When I call to complain or have a special pick up, they want to charge $40. No, how about your lazy drivers actually do their job and pick up my trash. I wish we had a choice on who picks up our garbage. No way Republic Services should be in business.

There was a Recycle Pickup Scheduled today and my neighbors had lots of material on the curb. We spent hours collecting recycle materials and they never showed up. I am wondering if they will show up tomorrow, but if I go by experience they will not. So I have to go outside collect all the boxes and cardboards etc. and the container bring them back in the house. What a mess. They often skip the service.

It took 3 phone calls to get my service cancelled. Even though they picked up my containers immediately. Then I was sent an invoice for $36.00 ($18/container) for "container removal", several months later. Am I legally obligated to pay this fee for "picking up the containers"?

Republic Services Company Profile