1.06/5

Need a utility company?

534 Republic Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 17, 2019

This company increased charge every year. Eventually they charged about 2 times higher than the market value. When I called to cancel the service, they charged me $36.30 for container removal. I felt very uncomfortable for these unexpected charges! So I was so glad to cancel their service and will not recommend to others!

Original review: April 13, 2019

Their recycling pickup is a complete joke. There are VERY specific items that are allowed to be recycled. Several weeks ago, I had a box sized shipping box bounce out of the truck. I asked the driver to take it and he flatly refused because I had not broken down the box. MEANWHILE, I am able to see him pick up from the neighbors across the street, from my home office. EVERY single week he has picked up items that are CLEARLY NOT part of recycling. There are always plastic bags overflowing their can. There have been clothes hanging out of the can. Last week there was a 1X4 plank of wood that was sticking out of the can a good 3 feet. Yesterday there was an upright vacuum cleaner sticking out of the can. ALL of these items were picked up and dumped in the recycling truck.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 12, 2019

If I could leave a no star review I would. This is an absolute horrible service and company. I had this service for a good while and they missed pickups very often. The final straw came when they missed TWO pickups in ONE month. First time I went online and scheduled a missed pick up...my trash never got picked up. The next week they came when they were suppose to. Then the next week. They missed me AGAIN! I went online scheduled my missed pick up...nothing for three days. I chose to call them at this point and they said they would send someone out that day to pick it up. That day came and went and so did the week...nothing.

I’m completely done with them at this point, so I call and tell them the whole story of how they did not provide the services I had paid for, therefore, I would like to cancel. THEN they tell me, "I’m sorry, but you have to pay us to come remove our container." I told them they should waive that fee on the account they did not provide the service I had already paid for and lied to me about resolving the issue. The representative told me they understood and would take care of the matter. Well then I get charged again for their services, like I had never cancelled. I called them and they did take care of it, but dang people DO YOUR JOB! Meanwhile I am on the phone with them and I bring up the waste removal charge and they say “I see no balance on your account, so you are good”.

Fast forward three months later I receive a collections notice stating I have not paid them money. I call the representative and they say, "No. We did not waive your fee for cancelling with us, it was your choice to cancel, therefore, you pay." I cancelled because I wasn’t getting a service I was paying for, my trash had been missed so many times over the course of having them. However TWICE in one month with the lies of saying “we will get it taken care of today” that didn’t happen, was just too much. The representative stated I should have given them the opportunity to make it right. I did twice. They failed and continued to be a failure of a company. They do not do their job and have appalling customer service.

I now have a reliable service that has never missed a day and comes at the exact same time on my scheduled day. Do yourself a favor. DO NOT hire this company. You’re better off taking your trash to the dump yourself. They should take themselves to the dump because they are complete trash and I’ll just leave that corny comment there.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I started service with this company in January when I moved to Alpharetta GA. The service are appalling. Did not receive cans for several weeks, then received too many. Called and asked to take away extra cans. They did. I thought all problems solved. On April 1st they did not pick up trash. They called and said leave trash outside and we will pick up on Tuesday 2nd, they never did.

On April 8th they picked up trash but then took away both the trash can and recycling bin. I called and spoke with 2 very rude people in customer service. I asked for Supervisor. They said supervisor would call me in 24 hours. I called back, spoke to a 3rd person and she said they would deliver a trash can and recycling can on Thursday...today. No cans were delivered. No one called me to tell me date changed to next Monday. I called and spoke to a Specialist II, Christie. Incredibly rude and with no apologies. Hung up on me. Waiting for call from Supervisor. May have to get a lawyer to get out of contract. This Company is appalling.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Apparently, I am just one on a list of hundreds of dissatisfied people who are trapped in this service. My trash was not picked up last week and each day since then, I have been lied to that a missed pickup is on the way the next day. It is now a week later and my trash is a health hazard at this point. The level of incompetence that these representatives display is honestly comical. The worst part about all of this is that clearly nothing is going to be done about all of our issues. This company is deplorable and have trapped their customers as there is usually no other sanitation service to use. I am seeking legal advice on how to shut them down entirely. I wish I could spread my trash on the properties of those in charge of this monstrosity. Awful!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Republic Services?

Original review: April 9, 2019

I have been calling Republic Services for a month for bins pickup left by the previous renters. Each time I have called they have changed or cancelled the date for pickup date. There is a few account under the address. When I ask to check the ETA of pickup they have to go thru different account and none of them match. I am not even a customer and will never be. I have spoken to a "escalating" rep and this person is a joke.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Will not answer phone calls after doubling the amount billed. Will not allow us to cancel. We are seeking attorney. Call center will not forward us to anyone. Will only take messages. Three months of unreturned phone calls.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I called them 4 weeks ago this Monday to start service at my house. Still no trash cans. I’ve called 4 different times and have gotten 4 different answers and dates on when my cans will be delivered. Terrible service. And crappy customer service, would use another company if I could.

Original review: April 3, 2019

From West Michigan, Jenison/Hudsonville area. After many years of using Republic Services (it was Waste Management until Republic took over locally) for our waste and recycle services, we have called it quits. We always paid annually, for one entire year's service. Each year we would discuss rates with them, and get a quote for the coming year. Time after time we would pay the annual bill, and then get a subsequent billing for a price adjustment, or some other fee which would increase our annual amount. We would call customer service, get a promise of a billing adjustment, which too often did not happen. Then we would get another bill for a 'past due amount'.

It was not until we finally got in contact with our local Republic office (Jenison Michigan) that we got the help we needed. Melissa got our bill straightened out for us on multiple occasions. However, in January of this year we once again got another billing from the Republic corporate service, as the result of a 'rate increase' (but we still had three months left to go on our paid-up annual billing). This was the final straw! So we have pulled the plug and changed to another service provider. We are fed up with the long long waits on the corporate 'customer service' phone, unfilled promises to get our bill corrected, and just the amount of wasted time we have spent on something that we hoped would be a 'once a year and done' event.

Original review: April 2, 2019

We pay Republic Services to service (dumpster trash pick up) our 24 unit apartment complex every Mondays and Thursdays. On the 25th (Monday), they did not service our complex. Our Site Manager contacted me the following Tuesday and informed me, sent a picture of the piled trash. Called Republic Services on the 26th (Tuesday) and spoke with Customer Service rep Tasha 4:38PM, who checked their service records and confirmed the apartment wasn't serviced, they missed our complex as no service time was logged in for the complex. Rescheduled the trash pick up with Tasha for Wednesday. Wednesday came along past 3:00PM trash still wasn't picked up. This is around the time when our Site manager addressed concerns again from the Tenants at the apartment complex due to the tremendous trash pile up from Republic Service missing Monday's pick up.

I called Republic Services again that Wednesday and spoke with Customer Service Rep Frank, whom I believe really took his time to look into our records, this issue and worked well to provide solution to this issue. Frank checked our record and the logged service times, he confirmed our complex was not serviced Monday, Tuesday and nothing for Wednesday yet. I requested for their driver to PLEASE come at the earliest time possible on Thursday (the usual scheduled day) as our complex dumpster area is starting to look like a landfill. Frank provided a reference number and made sure that their driver comes pick up Thursday morning. Thank you Frank.

Now I hope we can all see that trash was only picked up one time last week. We have been paying for trash pick up service that should be provided twice a week (Mondays and Thursdays). My complaint more about what happened yesterday, which was the fact someone tampered with their service time records between Thursday - Sunday, and another complaint is about their customer service rep Anthony, whom I spoke with yesterday April 1st, 2019. When I called to request credit for the 1 day of trash pick up they missed, Anthony denied my request. He said that on their records, it shows that trash was picked up at 4:15PM on the 25th and kept saying that's what their record shows so they won't be giving a single credit to us. Anthony wouldn't even let me speak to the supervisor or the manager.

Republic Services, understand how poorly you let your rep handle this situation, and this was the first time I ever requested to speak with the supervisor but he denied my request. I am still in shock how records at Republic Services are tampered with there. Whereas the 24 families living at our complex had to deal with piled up trash for days because you guys did not pick up on Monday-Wed, you got your rep Anthony there completely dismissing the customer's voice and falsely claiming a completed service that was not provided on Monday!

Republic Services, the communication I had with Anthony showed a corrupt side of Republic Services I did not know exists. You are a company that has been awarded a contract by the City of Los Angeles with trust to maintain your integrity, care for the residents of LA, be competent with your services, and uphold the voices of your customers in the highest esteem.

Just on our account alone, we pay over $500 monthly for your services and we pay ON TIME. We even overpaid recently so we have credit in our account. YOUR TWO REPS THROUGHOUT LAST WEEK HAVE BOTH CONFIRMED that our complex was not serviced on Monday-Wed, we even have a picture of the piled up trash due to days of trash not being picked up after the Monday, but all of a sudden your records changed over the weekend and falsely shows that our complex was serviced on Monday. That is such a sleazy, low ball claim. There is absolutely no reason to lie to make us pay for one day's worth of service you guys did not even provide. We pay for your services, but for service that was not provided, nobody should have to pay for that.

I am requesting for us to be credited for the one day of trash pick up you guys missed last week. We were only serviced 1 out of 2 times last week. Look through our account in your records and the call logs. we have been a great customer, we pay on time and don't cause any trouble with your products/bins etc. There is absolutely no reason for us to lie, and 2 of your reps even checked and confirmed we were not serviced on on 3/25-27th. Please credit us for the one out of the 2 days you did not provide service.

Original review: April 2, 2019

First of all customer service has a rotten attitude over the phone. No one likes their job, but seriously, get a cheerier attitude if you deal with customers. The $50 I will have to pay to cancel service with them is ridiculous and vindictive. Been a customer for over 10 years and they have consistently pissed me off. I did not know there was an increase in price, which is outrageous already, and for $5.00 they cancelled my pickup. No phone call to warn of it or give me a chance to fix the problem. Just shut it all down. No help at all.

It took me less than an hour to fund a company that is cheaper BEFORE the price increase AND schedule me a pick up before I even get the bin from them. Very helpful. Republic strives to NOT be helpful. In cancelling with them they were also rude and unhelpful. They threatened to charge me for another month until I told them this kind of jerking me around is why I was leaving. Then they "generously" waived that one thing. And acted like I should be forever grateful to the angels in customer service. Save yourself the aggravation and headaches I suffered... Don't do business with them.

Original review: April 1, 2019

So after they increased my bill by 20$ with no good reason, I shopped around and found a much more reasonably priced company. I cancelled and was charged an unannounced 30.00 container removal fee. I didn't find this out till I received bill 2 months later. If I had known ahead of time, there'd be a cancellation fee, I possibly wouldn't have left their company. I called to asked about it and they said the fee can't be removed.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: March 27, 2019

They send bills when you’ve already paid. They don’t pick up and then say “that’s the way it is”. They lie and pass you off to others over and over. They don’t respond to BBB complaints. They actually owe me money and now I’m being told they have sold my area and I will receive a new provider. I hope the new provider is better than this waste of a company.

Republic Services response

Hello, thank you for sharing your experience. This is not representative of who we are or how we do business. We apologize for any inconvenience and want to look into this matter right away. In a private message please provide your service address, including zip code and telephone number enabling us to communicate with our local team for resolution. We hope to hear back from you soon. Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: March 26, 2019

I received a bill for the next upcoming 3 months. On the bill it was stated that they would no longer be pick up trash in our area as of 5/1/2018 and would be picking off the trash cart, after the last pickup in April. I called to say that I have found other service and wanted to cancel my service at the end of this billing cycle, which would be April 4, 2019. I was told there would be a $30.00 pick charge for picking up my trash cart, that they were going to pick up on any way on 5/1/2019, because they could no longer provide trash service to my area. I would never recommend this company to anyone.

Republic Services response

Hello, We regret any inconvenience or confusion that this situation has caused. Customer feedback is critical and is taken quite seriously at Republic Services. As there are expenses associated with the collection, removal, repair and refurbishment of our containers, we do typically impose a container removal fee to recoup these costs from the customer. The disclosure of this fee can be found on our website at https://www.republicservices.com/customer-support/fee-disclosures. Thank you.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Republic Services (hereafter RP) are an unethical company. Why do single seniors pay the same amount as huge families? Though I am signed to autopsy I found my bill to be over $100. When I called to ask how this happened I was informed that though RP has my email address, which it uses for other communications, saw no reason to inform me of a CCard problem by that method! So a lien could be more expeditiously applied at $200.OD. This company's practices all round are very shady.

Original review: March 25, 2019

If I could find another provider, I would. It is Monday March 25th and our trash is still sitting out there. I called them near the end of the day on Friday and was told that they will be here Friday cause all trucks are running on schedule and if not then Sat. This has happened too many times this year. We have had times where trash has been out there for two weeks. In past years we have had 3 weeks worth of our garbage sitting out there. The Public Service Commission said that there has been multiple complaints called in on them.

Original review: March 22, 2019

After hiring another trash removal company with more reasonable prices, I called Republic Services to cancel their service at the end of the billing cycle. Our account was paid in full at cancellation. The customer service rep was very nice, cancelled the service on the date I requested, and arranged for Republic to pick up their empty trash cans the following week. Everything went smoothly until we received a letter in the mail demanding $60. The letter stated that they wrote us numerous letters about this charge which was a complete lie. We never received anything from them regarding additional charges nor did the customer service rep mention anything about a $60 charge when I called to cancel service.

I wrote a letter to their collections department explaining all of this, and directed them to stop sending us letters demanding payment. The following week we started to receive phone calls with a message that our service was suspended because of an unpaid bill. Again, we were threatened with possible legal action and derogatory credit reporting. I tried calling the customer service phone number they provided, but the number was disconnected. My next letter is to their corporate headquarters in hopes that someone has the authority to stop these threatening messages. By the way, we had no complaints regarding the trash pick-ups and would have given them a satisfactory review if not for this mysterious charge and their bullying ways.

Original review: March 22, 2019

In short, this company cheats its customers: it charges nearly double what competitors charge for the same service -- and I have been charged for years way more than what my neighbors in my little neighborhood are being charged. It has been all downhill since AAA was acquired by Republic.

Original review: March 18, 2019

We started our trash pick-up service with a different company. However, about 8 - 10 years ago Republic services purchased them. The price increases started immediately, I would call Republic to complain periodically and the latest price increase would be rescinded. However the next quarter the price would go up again. After years of frustration, we gave up and switched waste haulers. The new waste hauler charges us 40% less for significantly better service.

Unfortunately Republic wasn't done trying to rip us off. When we canceled our service Republic charged us $85 to pick up their cans. I called to complain and the service rep told me that I had agreed to the charge when we signed up for the service and it was in our initial contract. I replied that no such contract exist. I asked for a copy of the imaginary contract but no contract has been produced. We have refused to pay the bill and Republic Services is threatening to send the bill to a collection agency. Do not do business with these crooks!!!!

Original review: March 16, 2019

Republic Services has a systemic problem with their Operations Scheduling Department. I requested delivery of a 3 yard dumpster. I was told it would arrive in 3 days. It did not arrive for 7 days. I requested the filled dumpster be removed and was told 24 hours. It is now 5 days later and still no removal. My city requires the dumpster be permitted. So every day it is here costs me 18 dollars extra. There is no excuse for the complete breakdown in their system. In a word their Operation Schedule Department is "AWFUL".

Original review: March 14, 2019

Giving Republic Service one star was very good for them. I am a dissatisfied customer that has my dumpster over flowing at my place of business. It is sad how we pay for twice a week pick up and on the 2nd pickup day are calling and almost begging them to pick up our trash for the 1st time of the week. This is not the first time this has happened. Our dumpster is overflowing and the trash bags that are still in there are falling out and hanging over the side. When calling them to complain about their service their response is they can put a note in my account for the driver to read but also admitted that the driver does not have to read or follow what the note states. They can choose not to. We should not have to go outside and pick up trash bags off the ground just because they could not pick it up on the days that is in our contract for them to pick up.

As a customer I should not have to call you every week and state to you that you are NOT doing your job and holding up your end of the contract and remind you that you have to credit my account. We are paying for our trash to be picked up and should not have to beg for it to be done. Just so Republic Service knows, telling a woman over the phone that they will ask their driver to not set the dumpster down on the trash bags that would not fit in the dumpster is a very stupid thing to say. He was just trying to tell me that he didn't want there to be trash bags under the dumpster that I would not be able to get up. Places like this should not be in business and should not have an excuse for every time they do not do their job and hold up their end of the contract.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Republic Services is not supportive of their customers. Over the past year they have neglected to pick up trash at least four weeks with no reimbursement for services not provided. When I decided to get a new provider their policy makes it difficult because they do not prorate your bill when you want to stop services which causes you to wait for a month or more.

If you rent a can from them they charge you $35.00 to pick it up and even though you have the right to take the can back yourself. In my case they picked up the can against my wishes and told me that I could contest the bill. This is a joke because you do not have access to any person in the company who makes the decision about if your contested claim is valid or not. You just get a runaround from customer services over and over again. I believe any other service is better than the Republic Services conglomerate because they are just out to make money thus abusing their customers with unrepeatable practices and price increases.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Our area changed over to Republic awhile back. Never had any issues with previous service - but since Republic took over, I honestly can't remember how many times I have called/messaged them to complain - missed pickup, partial pickup, etc. Due to these re-occurring issues, I have had to navigate through their website many times to try to get contact phone number or figure out how to message - and what a pain that has been. Their website is NOT user-friendly and once you find the "contact" page, the "details" screen allows hardly enough characters to explain anything! I see that they dedicate a page to toot their own horn - about how much they've accomplished, how much they do for the environment, and how well they've conformed. Great - but they are a public service entity - one that needs to start focusing on doing their job well! Wish we had our old trash pickup service back!

Original review: March 11, 2019

This company is the definition of price creeping and bullying consumers to grab every extra dollar they can out of you. I was unhappy with the lack of service that I was receiving, along with a price 3 times the competitor, so I cancelled and they said they would come get my container. (All bills were paid and there would be no more charges to my account). After setting my can out the day they requested for pickup, I came home to my container still sitting in my driveway.

I called Republic and they said they hadn't even put a "container pickup" in their system! They rescheduled the day to pick up the container. I then received a call a 6 weeks later stating I had a $40 charge that needed to be paid. Upon speaking with a representative, I am told I have a container pickup cost and other associated fees. Mind you, this was after I was told that there was nothing more to pay by the previous representative. This is immoral and penalizing customers for cancelling their service. I will be advising everyone I know to make the switch away from Republic Services in the area. I see their "blue" containers disappearing from local streets at a rapid rate and for good reason. Stay away from companies that treat customers like this!

Original review: March 7, 2019

Last year Republic Services sent me a notice that city of Los Angeles, assigned their company to service my building, they removed city's trash can and replaced it with theirs. 9 months later we found out that city of Los Angeles, had no record of this and in fact we were paying to both companies. City asked them to remove their trash can and stopped their service. As a result they were suppose to refund me $1106.00.

I called them in November and they said check was sent. Since I did not receive the check I I called in December. They changed their story, by saying "my refund needs to be approved". I called more than 6 times to check the status of my refund and this morning their unfriendly, representative said "they still need to approve it and she does not know how long it will take". She refused to transfer me to the refund department or a supervisor and hung up on me. That is a clear behavior of a unethical and fraudulent company. I will call them again until they refund my $1100.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I cancelled my service mid January and was told I would receive a refund for the remaining 2 months. Called mid February to check on status of my refund and was told that I hadn't called back to request a refund so it would take an additional 2-3 weeks from my second phone call. Called back several times to check on status of refund and each customer service rep that I spoke with gave me different information from the previous customer service rep. Called them again on Tuesday and was told that my request for a refund was just received on Feb. 27 and that it would be mid March before I receive a refund. Requested a supervisor call me to discuss my frustration with the service and I am still waiting for a return call. I will keep calling them until I receive my refund. Will never use this company again. The reason I cancelled my service in January was because of horrible customer service.

Original review: March 4, 2019

We cancelled our contract with Republic Services because of excessive charges and spotty services on Jan. 11 with the next bill due on the 14th. Today, March 4, we received a past due (never got a prior bill) for 174.30. $60.00 was charged for them to remove their own barrels which we had not been told about in advance. When we told them we cancelled on the 11 of January, we were told that we were charged for January even though they did not collect our garbage in January.

We had already contracted with a more reliable and less expensive company. This is an awful consumer practice. This company should be investigated by consumer affairs. We are retired seniors and live on a fixed income. It's terrible when companies like Republic Services take advantage of the elderly this way. We're sorry we ever did business with them. We are paying them 174.30 for essentially removal of their own barrels and no garbage pick up. We are only paying them to protect our excellent credit.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I had a short stay with this company due to their inability to pick up on Friday's and their billing department has no clue. I am lucky to be a business in Spooner so I can go elsewhere, I feel sorry for the residents of Spooner that are stuck with these people. It is a monopoly formed between Republic and the city of Spooner (SCAMMERS).

Original review: March 4, 2019

This company bought out a smaller trash company serving North Central Ohio. Since this takeover, service has declined badly to the point of non-existence. During July and August of 2018, they simply stopped service entirely. Called their "customer service" and cancelled my account. 2 months later, they send me a bill for the full service. I wrote them informing them no service was provided and I refuse to pay for a service that was not provided by them. Now, they have turned me over to a collection agency with the threats of harming my credit rating. This company is awful and the states who they operate in should investigate their business practices.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I have been with this company and their predecessor for over 30 years. Recently they doubled my bill to 600.00 per month for weekly pick up of two yard container. I complained. They agreed immediately to cut in half. 300.00. But I noticed my bill is actually 400.00. 100 for environmental fees. I did some searching. Found a new company for 98.00 a month for same service. No added on fees. Total charge 98.00. Republic has been robbing me for years. They threatened me that we had a contract. It’s not a contract. It’s an agreement. They want me to pay a cancellation fee of 6 months. They agreed to lower the bill to 72.00 a month plus 25.00 in bs charges. Total 102.00 a month. Ridiculous.

Republic Services Company Information