4.7/5 (858 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free
Author picture
Written by Taylor Sansano
Edited by Jon Bortin

About Pentair Water Solutions (previously Pelican Water)

Pentair Water Solutions provides residential water treatment services designed to make a home healthier, starting from the ground up. Its services are available throughout your property, including water supply and disposal, softening and filtration, and even pool and spa water treatment. Services start with a consultation with a local water expert and are backed by a 60-day guarantee.

Pros

• Local expertise
  • Variety of services
  • Upfront product pricing
  • 60-day guarantee

Cons

• No free testing

Bottom Line

Pentair Water Solutions is a water treatment company that offers residential treatment solutions. Customers can purchase products backed by guarantees online or at local retailers. Consultations and testing may cost extra.

Top Pentair Water Solutions (previously Pelican Water) Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pentair Water Solutions?

Verified

... So far the product is working, hard water is a thing of the past. Shower, faucets, and toilets are a lot easier to keep clean. Salt last around 2.5 months. The only issue I ha...

Verified

What is Pentair Water Solutions?

Pentair Water Solutions is a water treatment company that offers a one-stop shop for home water needs, including filtration, softening and pool water solutions. For customers who aren’t sure what solution they need, Pentair offers water tests and water consultations with local experts who are up to date on local residential problems and codes to ensure the best solution possible. These experts recommend appropriate solutions and products, offering installation and pricing information as well.

For added support, the Pentair Home app helps homeowners command their home’s water solutions. This includes ensuring a continuous flow of softened water, managing your home to protect it from leaks and flooding and the ability to control a swimming pool system and water chemistry.

Pentair products

Pentair sells a wide range of home water treatment systems at stores all across the nation, including Walmart, Pool Supply World and Lowe’s. Customers can also schedule a virtual consultation and purchase directly online.

ProductKey featureStarting price
Water softener systems3 unique models to choose from$1,422
Salt-free water softener alternative systemsAlternative solution that others don’t offer$1,819
Water softener and filter combinationsEasy combined solution$3,318
Whole-house filtration solutionsCan be customized to your needs$1,017
Under-sink drinking water systemsDIY installation and replacement$137
Countertop drinking water systemsReduces over 60+ contaminants$84
Shower filtersCan reduce up to 96% of chlorine$67
UV water systemsSalt- and chemical-free disinfecting system$748

Pentair costs

There’s a vast range of price points for Pentair products, depending on what features you want and what size system you require. At the time of publishing, you should expect to spend at least $1,000 for softener or filtration systems and up to $5,000 on systems for large homes. Pentair also sells 16-point water tests for $108. You can call Pentair with your test results and receive a $103 credit toward any Premium Whole House Water System.

Pentair Water Solutions FAQ

Are Pentair and Pelican Water the same company?

Pentair acquired Pelican Water in 2019, expanding its residential water treatment business.

What is the benefit of Pentair water filtration systems?

Pentair Whole House Water Filter Systems remove sediment, dirt and debris from water while also reducing levels of chlorine and other disinfection byproducts. This helps make residential water safer and cleaner.

Can I take my Pentair system with me if I move?

Most systems are designed to be easily installed with no drilling or complicated steps, meaning they can easily be taken with you when you move.

Do Pentair systems have a warranty?

Most systems include a warranty of at least one year. Plus, all sales include a 60-day money-back guarantee.

How long do Pentair water filters last?

Filters last six months. Pentair recommends replacing your filter twice a year for optimal health and effectiveness.

Are Pentair water filters expensive?

Water filter systems start at $84 and can cost above $5,000 at the time of publishing. On its site, replacement filters range from $22 to $338, depending on the system. Some retailers, like Amazon, may sell them for cheaper.

Is Pentair Water Solutions worth it?

Pentair has many different softening and filtration products at different price points, so most homeowners can find a solution that works for their home and budget. The ability to buy online or from a local store makes purchasing easier. However, customers must pay for a water test, and consultations may cost extra. That said, the convenient money-back guarantee and warranty add an extra level of security for homeowners.

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pentair Water Solutions (previously Pelican Water)?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pentair Water Solutions?

Original review: July 19, 2022

We bought this shower filter and in less than a week it was broken. On top of offering a crap product, they offered zero return options other than an exchange or us paying for UPS to ship it cross country, $23 dollars later. Nobody needs an exchange on a product that can't last 7 days. Terrible company.

Get buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 10, 2022

Water softener install June 2021 in Southern Arizona. So far the product is working, hard water is a thing of the past. Shower, faucets, and toilets are a lot easier to keep clean. Salt last around 2.5 months. The only issue I have is the company sells you the unit but does not see how you're doing after the sale. I would recommend this product.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

I purchased 'Pelican PSE1800 Premium Whole House Filter-Softener 1-3 Bathroom (PSE1800)' on 11/27/2020, got it installed with a certified plumber. Initially it was looking like I had a great product, but eventually it turned out to be waste of money. I contacted Pelican water experts before buying this product, clearly explained my requirement. But, I was provided with wrong choice of the product and now it's totally a waste of money for me. I purchased whole-house filtration system, but it didn't help remove the calcification that we have in the water. That was the need to install the filtration system, but it did NOT solve the purpose.

More than that, the so called experts misguided me to buy a wrong product. Now they say, you have to get another one and we don't know what conversation you had previously. This is absolute unprofessional behavior from the team, which I learnt after spending close to 3K. A hard & costly lesson learnt with Pelican water filters....hope this helps other clients to make a right decision. Thanks!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2022

I have had a two tank Pelican water filtration and conditioner for approximately three years. I live in southern Arizona where the water is very hard. The Pelican system cost about $2,000 and $600 to install. The system replaced a GE salt based softener that worked very well but died after four years. I chose the Pelican system as a way to avoid carrying bags of salt. Sales process went well. However, after a couple months with the new system, I have regretted ever making the purchase. Our mineral deposit problems have never been worse. We are constantly needing to chip away deposits on faucets, drains, nozzles, and can never leave water standing on anything.

We need to use a razor blade on the inside of toilets to attempt to remove mineral deposits. It’s a terrible problem…much worse than when we had a salt based system. I have thought about going back to a regular water softener, but after spending some $2600 I feel I’m stuck. The explanation I received that the Pelican makes removal of mineral deposits much easier because of the chemistry is just not true. Before Pelican, I never had mineral deposits. I am a very unsatisfied user.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Sales representative is great to get the sale. After the sale customer service experience is Horrible, After 45 days pass my water smells like rotten eggs. Called many times to get it fixed. When asked for a technician to come out they wanna charge me $89. Sales rep never disclose it'll be a fee because they wanted the sale, now me as the customer stuck with water softener system that smells like rotten eggs and cannot be fixed.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

I bought the first Pelican system (water softener alternative) a couple of years ago and it works great!!! It replaced a Culligan system that had died. The Pelican has worked so good that I decided, with this review, to use the catch phrase as...never looked back, and I haven't!!! It has worked flawlessly, but, it does NOT truly soften the water with that slippery feeling after you shower and can't get it off!! BUT, it dries nicer and you feel really refreshed!

This last year I added the Pelican Whole home filtration system and the house has never had such great tasting water... Buy their products with confidence, HOWEVER, BE AWARE THAT THE COST OF INSTALLING THESE DEVICES WILL COST YOU MORE THAN THE PRODUCT COST THEMSELVES. I tried getting a plumber to install these devices here in Phoenix and it cost me up the wazoo...

Original review: July 9, 2021

Pentair/Pelican water in Nashville Tennessee has not backed the word with numerous customers. They do not back up their products after the sale at all. The prices are exorbitantly inflated compared to same Pentair systems sold at Home Depot. Again, there is no service after the sale. Caveat emptor.

Pentair Water Solutions (previously Pelican Water) response

Hello Don,

We are sorry to hear you believe our customer service is not up to your standards. We back all of our products and services. Our pricing is transparent and is listed online on our site and is the same as our products offered with all major retailers. We know you have not made a purchase from us yet, but we hope to prove to you that our customer service and product quality will exceed your expectations should you decide to make a purchase in the future.

Pentair Customer Service Team

Original review: May 23, 2021

We needed a filtration system for our well. The one we had used a resin filter and a salt-based water softener. We did not like the subtle salt tasting water and we discovered Pelican's advertising offering a saltless system that will give you drinking water that tastes better than bottled water. This is NOT true, and you get to find that out after you have spent several thousand dollars.

Pelican came to our house, tested the water and suggested a $5k plus system. After installation, the water tasted OK, but was brown colored. They later said that we have tannins, therefore we need a tannin removing system that uses salt. Pelican provided that at no extra cost, hence my two stars. We now have the same crappy salty taste that no one likes, but with an additional difference; the maintenance routine for the old system only required adding salt. The new Pelican system not only requires salt, but also requires adding chlorine almost every week, changing the sediment filter every 2-3 months, and replacement of very expensive parts on the chlorine mixing system. In addition, the beautiful, chromed tanks will also need to be changed in a few years. Please don’t let them fool you.

Pentair Water Solutions (previously Pelican Water) response

Hello Nelson,

Thank you for your feedback. According to our notes you were sold a system to deal with your iron. You did not purchase a softener at all. However it was determined later that the iron was masking a bigger issue in your water, tannins. To remove Tannins your only option is a salt based system. That system alone shouldn't be used when you have iron as well, thus why you have chlorine and a salt system to treat your water. Your initial water test also did not show tannins. This can happen where iron masks the tannins in the water.

We also show that you were not charged for the additional equipment you needed to resolve your water concerns.

We are sorry that your water requires so much equipment to treat it but that is what is required to give you clean water. Salt free works for many customers, but there are always situations where it doesn't, just like any water system.

The chrome jackets do not require replacement in a few years. As long as you wax them per the instructions. The resin and iron media inside both tanks are good for 10+ years when properly maintained, not every few years. Only the sediment filter and chlorine pump requires maintenance parts 2-4 times a year.

We understand that you wanted salt free but your water conditions simply do not allow us to go salt free to solve those issues. If the iron or tannins isn't being removed with your current system we would be happy to have someone from tech support reach out and review your installation or you can schedule a service visit to your home.

Resolution response: May 7, 2021

Pelican Water has completely changed my mind on purchasing from them. We have spoken many times via email and calls. They went beyond and my issues have been taken care of every step of the way. Unfortunately we had to go a route of having a different system issued. But they are making that happen. I can't thank them enough for reaching out to me to get this resolved.

Original review: May 1, 2021

Very unhappy with this unit. I purchased the WF10 with Topcashback rewards program. Had (10%) off cashback. Item cost was 5400 minus the 12% sale that was going on. The system doesn't give 99% iron free in the unit as my bath water still looks slightly brownish. Not as bad as it did though. It also is still leaving scale on my tub. I have cleaned it off with rejuvenate a few times. I called in at one point on chlorinator issues. I switched it around like I was educated to do. I have the chlorinator locked all the way up and I go through 35 gallons every 4 days. My previous unit had chem-tech and it was like 15 gallons and would work for a whole month.

I would not recommend this unit or company due to all the issues. By the way they denied the 10% cashback as well. $477. Not a company I would recommend. If one person reads and decides not to purchase due to this. It's due to poor product and service. I will be posting this in other sites as well. I am very disappointed with the service.

Original review: March 31, 2021

The primary tank that was first shipped was leaking. It got damaged in shipping. I contacted Pelican and they asked me to try a couple of things, which didn't work. They then turned around and said they would ship a brand new one, which they did. There was no trouble and no hassle getting them to ship a new one. They got it out right away and I've not a problem since. Pelican is very reputable. They're very easy to deal with and very happy to provide any information that one wants to request. I was very happy.

Pentair Water Solutions (previously Pelican Water) Company Information