1.47/5
Based on 233 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

377 Maytag Ranges/Ovens Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 18, 2018

I bought this range (Gemini Double gas range) in 2010 but was not installed in my house until 2011 due to time delays in kitchen re-model. I paid $1310.00. It was serviced 3 times once under warranty. About a year ago the igniter went in one of the ovens for the second time and one of the stove burners wouldn't light. Since the other oven and 3 other burners worked we didn't call for repair, then a second burner stopped working and we called our Maytag dealer. 2 different service techs came one with more experience and both said the same thing the stove wasn't worth fixing due to cost of parts. One of the problems was the screws in the burners couldn't be removed due to rust and deterioration of the screws. They would break and cost other components also to be needed. So after 7 years of use and already having repairs done I have to buy a new stove. It will not be a Maytag.

I also bought a top of the line Maytag dishwasher and one month past the 5 year warranty the electronic panel burned out. After calling Maytag and complaining they did agree to pay for the part close to $300 but I still paid for labor. When I looked at reviews for the oven before purchasing they weren't too good but wanted a double oven at the time and always had good luck with Maytag in the past. I thought buying a higher priced model would be better quality. Not so. After calling Maytag today the best they could offer was to buy an extended warranty for $380, I declined. My advice - Listen to the reviews. The Maytag repairman isn't sitting around idly anymore!

Original review: June 3, 2018

This is my first convection oven. It is a double oven and I am hooked for life. I love the smooth top and use the convection daily. The only small issue I have is that the touch buttons on the range are on the harder side to push. But other than that, I have owned this for 5 years or more and would only get the same type again if I had too.

Get expert buying tips about Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Purchased Maytag Double Range MGT8720DH00 in March 2015. Within 2 months had to call gas company due to leak and service came out to fix it. Now anytime my house is closed up during a vacation or extended period away I come home to a locked range with a warning message to check to make sure that the knobs are off. Had gas company (who also called fire department) to come out tonight after returning from vacation with same issue again. They tested and said CO2 was ok, but to check reviews for similar ranges and I have seen repeated issues in reviews for Maytag products. The firemen all commented when they saw that it was a Maytag so it seemed like they have seen these issues before. Very scary to think we could be exposed to a constant low level gas leak in our home. Keeping windows open at all times is not a realistic option.

Original review: May 17, 2018

18 month old range did not shut off although it showed off on the cancel page. $800 down the toilet. Maytag had the guts to charge $100 to troubleshoot plus parts and labor. I will donate it to scrap metal. Company does not give a rat's behind. DO NOT BUY MAYTAG.

Original review: May 11, 2018

CONSUMER BEWARE: Maytag is the WORST corporation to deal with. We have purchased a Maytag range from them recently. Unfortunately we have had 4 appliances delivered to us damaged from Maytag. The fourth time around we finally got a supervisor on the line. In order to expedite the situation. And the supervisor (Frank) refused to expedite or even call to try and move up the 5th delivery date. All he talked about was Maytag company policies to us. To make a long story short and I do mean long. Buyers beware. Maytag DOES NOT HOLD THEMSELVES ACCOUNTABLE FOR ANYTHING. Once the appliance leaves their facility they are not responsible for it. I CAN'T SAY THIS ENOUGH. DON'T PURCHASE MAYTAG PRODUCTS.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag?

Original review: April 9, 2018

Stove does not heat evenly in oven. Electric burner cannot be turned down to low or simmer, then it will not cook at all. Other burner turned down to low does not stop bubbling and stays at a high temp. There is no consistency. I am extremely disappointed and curse at this stove every day. Model #MER7664XB. Serial #R13316302.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

My Daughter got me a Maytag oven with the AquaLift technology and is a piece of Junk. Half the time the Water is still there when the cycle is over. The water has made it between the front glass pieces and the finish on the top of the stove looks horrible, it just looks dirty. The knobs are cheap and the fake chrome finish is flaking off. Unfortunately I'm stuck with it because I can't afford a new one... this was a gift to me because I'm disabled and it was to make my life easier.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

My Maytag AquaLift Range MGR8880AS0 was given to me in September 2014. While the range top was excellent and gave me no problem, the so-called "self-cleaning" is a total joke. I do not do a lot of grease baking or broiling so I have not needed to clean the oven only twice. The first time was a total surprising astonishment. When I opened the oven immediately after the cycle was completed, the oven was not even 350 degrees, most of the water was still in the oven! This happened shortly after a family crisis (my husband became ill and died), so I did not do any inquiries regarding the cleaning failure. Today, January 24, 2018 I decided I would do my second cleaning. Wow, it was a total and complete failure. The oven was barely warm.

I always had a Maytag washer, way back in the 1970/1980. My four children grew up with the Maytag, So, I think when one of my children decided to gift me with a new range after a change in location, the Maytag name was at the top of the list. Unfortunately, in 2014 Maytag was no longer what it had been way back in the "olden days." The name Maytag does not stand for what it used to stand. End of my story. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to get this off my chest. Since this was a gift, I do not have a receipt. However, I have an insurance renewal due advice (coverage expires 05/24/2018).

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

The ceramic coating on the interior of the oven cavity in the top oven, which I use the most (may actually happen to the lower oven in time) has cracked in the exact pattern of the hidden element. When I spoke to the salesperson at the store, he wasn't surprised and said that it will eventually bubble and rust!!! Called customer service and was informed they consider this an aesthetic issue with no fix!!! They will not offer any remedy or compensation. Are you kidding me!!!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I purchased a Maytag Gemini April 22 2017 and I am very unhappy with it. The ovens are not working properly. I have thrown away so much food because the ovens won’t hold temperature. The display says it’s the temp. I set it but the temp keeps dropping and rising causing the bottom and top to burn and inside not to cook. Both ovens are doing it. Had a repairman come day before Christmas. He said there is nothing wrong. He said set temp, when preheat beep goes off wait 15 minutes for it to cycle then insert food. I tried this Christmas Day. Oven is still not working and again I threw away more food. I am so disappointed in Maytag. Serviceman is set up again to come out next week. I think I got a lemon. Please. I think they should replace the whole range. It’s not fair. I paid so much for this range and can’t use it.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

We finished a kitchen tear out and full remodeling. From top to bottom adding the Maytag double oven insert into our cabinets. We checked out reviews and MANY stated that the oven's fans were LOUD! But we've had them now for 4 months and the reviews do NOT give an accurate account in my opinion. My wife loves using the ovens for all sorts of cooking and baking projects and the units are NOT LOUD at all. You'd have thought from what we read about the ovens that we were making a bad purchase but that's not the case. Quiet, even cooking and a GREAT PURCHASE. If your ovens are loud when cooling something must be wrong! Or maybe we got LUCKY!? I don't think that's the case at all but then I haven't used other's ovens only ours and we are pleased!!! 5 STAR for sure.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Such a horrible and expensive kitchen purchase. The stainless looking pieces are either fake or very poor quality - they scratch so easily. After the first year of use the top of the stove looked like it was 30 years old. The oven glass is extremely hard to get at to clean - you have to remove very finicky screws that don't go back into place easily. Oven temp is questionable and it takes a very long time to heat up. I would never recommend the Maytag Gemini oven to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Purchased the Maytag Aqualift self-cleaning oven and this feature doesn't work at all. I would have never have made this purchase if I knew the oven would not self clean. This technology with the water in the bottom to self clean is pathetic! I thought maybe it wasn't working and called for a repair since it was under warranty. The service man told me not to expect it to clean like a regular self-cleaning oven. But I complained that it did nothing at all! So now I have a self-cleaning oven that I have to clean myself!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I purchased a gas range from Lowe's - Maytag- Model #MGR8880AS in 2012. The range has been repaired on multiple occasions 11/2016; 3/2017; 5/2017. All three times they replaced the igniter and burner. On one occasion they replaced the computer board as well. (Each time they have informed me that this part was a recalled problem and under warranty). The stove is now out of warranty and having same issue. The stove fills with gas and the igniter does not ignite and does so intermittently. Maytag only wants to send repair company out at my expense. They need to replace the stove, because someone somewhere will die because of their product. I will purchase a new stove and not from Maytag. (All my appliances are Maytag). I also have a copy of my receipt and will provide if needed; I used my extended warranty through Lowe's each time. I urge everyone not to purchase Maytag appliances.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Wish I had reviewed Consumer Affairs reports. When our old Maytag stove required repairs we decided to upgrade old stove instead of putting money into old unit. Looks like a huge mistake. Not only was there a delay in receiving unit after placing order but oven will not preheat. Two weeks before Thanksgiving we were promised a working unit. Now we are only 2 days from Thanksgiving, 2 repair companies have been at home to repair. Requires new circuit board and a new regulator to repair and no promise we can obtain parts. Now I have to figure out how to feed my family for holiday. I am pretty well done and after reading other reports that they are better in junkyard I think I will try to make them take back this defective Model 8800 product. Sitting in our kitchen unusable for the holidays. Don't buy Maytag as customer service does not exist.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

So far, so very good. This is the first time owning/using an electric oven. I just love my Maytag. It was affordable, especially since it was a combo sale with the over-head matching microwave from Home Depot. Two years later and it's as if I just purchased it. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I've had my Maytag oven for about 5 years and the oven and burners are still working perfectly. The problem is the light bulbs. One of the light bulbs has a rickety connection because I have to keep twisting the bulb every time I turn it on to keep the light on. My other light bulb burned out and I'm not replacing it because I'm concerned the problem is in the electrical part where I screw it in, not the bulb itself, so I'm leaving it off and am using the other annoying bulb and I installed a lamp under the counter to compensate for the missing light from the other stove bulb. The most important part of the oven are the cooking features so even though the bulb situation is annoying, it cooking features perform well.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

This oven isn't even worth talking about. Just don't buy it. I used to bake a lot, but my recipes don't turn out anymore. My old oven was much easier. I don't know what the problem is, but I suspect it is oven temperature. The door also sticks. I have only had this a year and am ready to junk it.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Echoing the sentiments of others on this site, I am deeply disappointed in Maytag brand appliances manufactured by the Whirlpool Corp. When, for the first time in my life, I was able to buy all brand new kitchen appliances, I didn't even consider any other brand but Maytag. This was based on many decades of using Maytag products and watching my mother use them. I come from a big family so our appliances got used hard, and the Maytag brand ones worked year after year, decade after decade with little or no maintenance. To put it quite frankly, my new Maytag products are junk. I could supply a whole laundry list of problems but, in the interest of space, will just tell about the latest.

A couple of weeks ago the fake tin foil paint on my oven and burner knobs just started falling off, revealing cheap plastic underneath. When I called Maytag to complain, I was asked how I clean the knobs. I told them that when I clean the stove front I remove the knobs and drop them in warm water with a couple drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid for the few minutes it takes to clean and polish the stove front, and that I had been using this same procedure for 2 years. The rep. hemmed and hawed awhile and then went away to consult her database.

When she returned she told me that one is not allowed to "soak" the knobs per the manual, and therefore she could not offer any help. She then "generously" offered to transfer me to the parts department, where the rep. informed me that replacements would cost $70 EACH, that's a total of $350 plus shipping for 5 cheap plastic knobs. WOW! What a deal! I tell everyone I meet NOT to buy any Maytag branded product, and to apply extreme skepticism before considering any Whirlpool product. (BTW - the last "certified" Maytag appliance repairman to come & fix one of the appliances essentially admitted they are junk.) Model #: MGR8775AS SN: R32810432.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

We purchased a $945 Maytag 6.4 Cu. ft. self-cleaning freestanding electric convection range which was part of the stainless-steel package for $3600 + a $600-dollar 5 warranty. I did the research and found a solid 4.0 rating, so I went for it. Now I wish I never wasted my money and time. My 5-year warranty for all 4 appliances expired on 8/17 and now everything starts failing, how convenient. The oven will not heat past 340-350 degrees which won’t work with 90% of the stuff I bake. I called Maytag to see if it can be fixed and was quoted $400 for the issue but nothing else. I can pick up a new stainless-steel oven with the save features on a holiday sale for $500. Don’t waste your money on warranties!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I purchased the Maytag 6.5 inch electric convection oven about 2 years ago. I wish I hadn't. The oven temp is way off, it cooks unevenly, the back burners hardly work, and the back burners on the stove top barely work, the knobs get stuck constantly, the self cleaning does not work, and the glass part of the door allows dust to get trapped in the glass. The range is $800+ piece of junk, best used at the scrap yard.

Today, I turn my oven on, and the element underneath the oven pan caught on fire. Now it's broken in half, and needs to be replaced. I look up the QR code, and come to find out the oven is actually a Whirlpool, with Maytag labels on the outside. I would have never purchased this range if I knew it was a Whirlpool. I have always had issues with Whirlpool appliances. This is a fraudulent product, and deceives the customer. Why sell it as a Maytag, when it's really a Whirlpool? It should at least state that fact on the description, and salespeople should advise the customer. Now I know why it's a piece of junk, because it's a WHIRLPOOL!!! I will never buy a Maytag or Whirlpool product ever again. I have always stuck with Maytag appliances. Every appliance in my house is a Maytag, or are they Whirlpool?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Great stove for the price. The oven bakes good, the self-cleaning oven is awesome, the top is easy to clean up and regulating the temperature is so easy.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Mine is the Chrome Maytag four-burner cooktop model. About $700. I installed it with ease. After two years there are only one or two slight scratches. It sees full meals for two cooked daily. The grate is first class and looks new, the top itself is easy to clean with a damp soapy cloth and mineral oil. There is easily enough BTU power for any size of pro pan. The igniters are healthy and fine and a repair would be easy.

Original review: July 14, 2017

Please Do NOT purchase the Maytag Aqua Lift Gas Range. It does not clean anything, you will pay more money for a cleaning oven that does not clean any grease or droppings if you cook. This is not an Oven for any one, or family that cooks large meals or has gatherings. I had the technicians at my house over 4 times and they confirmed that this oven is not a self cleaning oven. It doesn't get hot enough as your self cleaning ovens. And MAYTAG did not want to hear anything, basically not clean much, but advertised as a self cleaning oven. Having been a Maytag customer for years I will never buy a Maytag product again. And we need to support American made, but not when the consumer is misled.

Original review: June 28, 2017

After using my GE Profile to death we replaced it with a Maytag; mostly for the cost. Although I hate to admit this, remember the old saying you get what you paid for - Well it's true at least in the case of this Maytag oven. I am a constant cook and own a bakery, I often bake many of my products at home. Since getting this oven I have had nothing but failures. The cakes are over done, underdone, cookies burnt, not cooked enough; my time frame for recipes is so off! I wrote a cook book and have baked for years so I know for a fact it's not some miraculous mishap that all of a sudden I can't bake. I've had them come calibrate the oven but still no success.

I'm going to call them again but I felt compelled to let people know this is the worst oven in history and avoid purchasing it at all cost. I plan on having the service team come out one last time but if this doesn't work I plan on replacing it. It's a Maytag Double Wall Oven-Top Convection-Self Cleaning model no: MEW9630DS-SS. BUYER'S BEWARE!

Original review: April 27, 2017

I am very dissatisfied with this Maytag Gemini oven I've had it for 4yrs. It has been in the shop twice for the same problem. Temperature control. It is down again for the same thing temperature control. The repairman, who I had to look at it, says the bill will be over $500.00. I paid $1300.00 for this stove. I can't afford to put any more money in this stove. I had to pay $100.00 for repairman to tell me this. The model # met8665xw02 serial#D30522404. Is there a recall on this stove? There should be. I sold Maytag products for several years at Circuit City. I always pushed Maytag instead of another brand. I believed in Maytag. The repairman hasn't been "lonely" to me.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

I have had my stove since 2004. A problem I have had was when I asked it to clean the ovens, it quit working all together. A service person was called. Also sometimes when I turn on one burner, another one will turn on instead. Yesterday I turned on a burner to low, and it did not turn on at all.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

The ranges are getting great but are more so with digital than buttons and knobs which they should still have, especially for the handicapped and some elderly who prefer them. It would help prevent injuries. It was hard for me to find the knobs.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

I bought this after having a Frigidaire for 40 years and was immediately disappointed upon installation. This OVEN, not a range, was smaller inside and a lot of new pans would not fit! I have replaced the burners and the bulb wiring several times. Would not buy another one!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I read some of the reviews on the Maytag ovens. I too have the same problems! Have had control panel replaced and still have to set at 400 if I need to bake at 350. It also takes forever to preheat. Trust this review because I am one very unhappy consumer!! DO NOT buy Maytag!!

Maytag expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Maytag is the oldest home appliance manufacturer still operating in the U.S. and was founded in 1893. It produced its earliest cooking appliances in the early 1980s, marking its first serious foray into home products unrelated to cleaning.

• Flexible styling: Maytag maintains consistent styling across its product lines and even across product generations, making it easy to design a kitchen around them.

• Fitting tools: Maytag offers a variety of tools to help buyers find appliances to fit their available space.

• Innovative appliance layouts: Maytag offers multiple units that allow users to increase their cooking space without making the overall appliance larger.

• Compact options: Maytag's extensive choices for single cooktops and compact appliances make it a good fit for buyers with little space in their kitchen.

• Length of warranty: Maytag's 10-year warranty is one of the longest in the industry and usually includes easy scheduling of in-home visits from the iconic "Maytag Repairman."

• Best for: Users cooking for one and users cooking for families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Benton Harbor
MI
www.maytag.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business