Maytag Ranges/Ovens

Compare Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves

Research top Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Our product was purchased with our Condo. We have had it for 6 months & the first time I called someone was for the oven door being so terribly hot. I was told that was normal. Then I tried the cleaning of it & you would never know anything had been done. It would take a heck of a lot of elbow grease to get the marks off & I don't have the strength or time to be doing that. I had someone come again & he said to do it again, which I did & it still was not clean. I have done it a 3rd time now & still no better. I think this product is a total piece of junk & would not recommend it to anyone. I am a very unhappy customer & will never purchase another MAYTAG product.

I just bought my Maytag Range model #MGR8700DS2 in August 2016. Bought Maytag because I always thought it was one of the best with the best warranty around. Now I am not so sure. After using it the first time, found that when you are baking anything in the oven the burner control knobs get very hot. That is because they designed the knob area to be right above where the heat vents out from the oven door. The knobs get so hot that you almost burn yourself if you touch them. This is a bad design in my opinion especially if you have any kids around. Even the sides of the oven get way too hot. This is also bad because of the tight spacing to your cabinets. I contacted Maytag about this and got a "OH WELL" kind of reply to my problem. You bought it and you are stuck with it. I would not recommend buying this model to anyone.

We purchased a Maytag electric convection oven with a warming drawer 3 months ago. We have been happy with the cooking features, but not the Aqualift self-cleaning. It does not work and Maytag does not acknowledge this. Instead they have offered cleaning products to us which their own instructions tell you not to use! Does this sound like a self-cleaning oven? They have offered to send out a service person to check the temperature. However, from reading multiple reviews by others, there will likely be no satisfaction from this company.

We purchased a wall oven model MEW7530DE 11/8/2014 which was installed the first part of December 2014. From the beginning the temp was not constant and everything baked was either burned or under baked. The first repairman said the control panel was faulty and was replaced four months after purchase, the problem continued. After three more repairmen all from different companies concluded they could find no problem and that's just how ovens work now. We contacted the owner of Hamilton's Appliance, where the oven was purchased, and requested a replacement oven which was accomplished December 2015.

New oven, same problem, very disappointing. My wife has been baking for over 50 years and has never experienced problems and frustration on this level. The condition of the oven is totally unacceptable and with all the effort by us and others we are at a loss. We purchased an extended warranty which has resulted not fixing of the problem. We hired an electrician to inspect the wiring in case that was the problem, costing us $200. The wiring was all good. What do we do next and what are our options short of another new oven. WHAT IS MAYTAG'S RESPONSIBILITY? Respectfully, a very unhappy customer.

Purchased this double oven back in 2012 and have had to have the control valves replaced twice because of them jamming and snapping. The burners are undersized for cooking and it takes forever to get water to a rolling boil. The broiler in the upper oven needs constant attention when using it because food cooks unevenly and burns quickly. The lower oven is great, convection is awesome. I have seen the Maytag repairman more from my stove than I have for any of the other appliances I owe combined. Maytag should stick to appliances that only use water.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

I purchased this new a year and 4 months ago and have had nothing but issues. We thought it cooked slow or cooked high/low but couldn't be sure if we were just imagining it until we had family come down at Christmas and complain about how slow the top burners are and why is it taking so long to boil water. Then again family for Easter where they cooked three days in a row and they complained that our top oven either burns or under-cooks the food which we had noticed but presumed we just mistimed a lot of food. Just recently the bottom oven won't heat past 350 and just constantly says preheating. The top oven followed suit shortly after. Nothing past 350.

This review is for a Maytag Gemini MGT8775XW 30 Freestanding Double-Oven Gas Range w/ 5 Burners. I cannot believe the amount of problems I have had from this $2000+ range. Within just a few weeks of getting it, the paint started scratching off the surfaces nearest the heat. Then, the plastic cover over the digital display and controls bubbled up due to the heat of the broiler being in use. They designed it so that the heat escapes from the oven right in front of the control panel, so when you want to adjust temperatures on the control panel, you chance getting burnt from the hot air every time.

The very worst design are the manual knobs for the burners on the front. They are at an angle, and if you look at the oven straight on, you see they are higher than the burner surface. A hot pan that overhangs the burner cooks the knobs. The plastic interior of the knob lacks any kind of heat resistance and actually starts to turn soft, keeping you from being able to turn off the burner at all!

Most dangerous of all, the knobs are frighteningly easy to bump, pouring gas into your house. We have had this problem multiple times. Today, my dog must have wanted to investigate the top of the stove, because when I came home, the burner was on, had burnt through a pot on the stove, and was just at the ignition point for an item sitting next to the stove. If I had come home 15 minutes later, my house would be in flames right now. I am having to air out my home as I type this. I am DONE with this dangerous oven and will be shopping for a new one, and it certainly won't be Maytag.

I purchased this at Home Depot October 2013. The oven heats well. I like the "upper and lower" oven feature. The broiler works fine. I rarely cook using convection. The self-cleaning feature, to this date works fine. Dislikes - the stainless is cheesy and scratches easily. The nobs on the front are of poor quality and the cook top stains easily and does not come clean. Disturbing - the gas cook top has come on twice with simple bumps and gone unnoticed for a period of time. Usually, you hear the clicking with the gas turning on, but not always.

MOST DISTURBING - last night, 1:30 in the morning, I wake up to the heavy smell of gas. Neither my husband, nor I cooked that day, at all. I walked out to the kitchen (opening windows along the way) and the right front burner nob was turned just enough to expel gas, no clicking noise, no flame. This being the third incident (that I can recall), I think this appliance should be recalled. The nobs are not secure/safe enough to be on a gas appliance. Aside from the hazard described above, I too am dismayed at the fact that drips go between the glass and there is no way to clean it. Another poor design flaw.

We purchased a complete suite of Maytag kitchen appliances in September 2014 for $4300. We have had problems with every single piece. Yesterday we needed to clean the oven for the first time as we boiled over a pan of lasagna. Got out the instructions to how to use the "Aqua Lift" cleaning system. Found out that "Aqua Lift" is marketingese for "boy did we build a lot of profit margin into this oven by not putting a REAL self-cleaning unit into it." Instructions are to pour 2 cups of water into the bottom of the oven and press "clean." It heats up the water to about 150 degrees for 40 minutes. Guess what? YOU do all the work of cleaning out the oven. If I had wanted a non-self-cleaning oven, I would have bought a $400 basic stove instead of this bogus $969 stove. Will never buy Maytag again. We were taken advantage of.

Maytag Glass top model #MER8600DHO. I bought it because it got good consumer reviews. This is supposed to be a self clean oven but the steam system in this model is not very effective. It doesn't clean the oven. Would never buy a range again with this oven cleaning system. I wanted to try a glass top stove but wish I hadn't. It is harder to clean and the glass scratches. I really don't like the self clean oven system in this stove - it flat out doesn't work and it takes a lot of elbow grease to clean the oven. The oven however seems true to temperature and does a good job. Overall I am Ok with this stove but wouldn't purchase a glass top again.

Dual oven - one is a convection oven. Never used the bottom drawer so that was wasted on previous range. I purchased a white appliance to match my others. The white stove top is a pain. Too bad it wasn't black. I checked this model online and found a good price in the city. I contacted the local Home Depot and they did a price match less 10% - all a bonus. The ovens work great although I have not tried the self clean. I have read that similar models have problems related to the self clean feature - high heat and circuit boards. My plan is to have a fan directed at the top of the stove when I use it and the range hood fan going. The convection oven is great - hard to mess up a recipe with that. The dual ovens are truly a great feature - strongly recommend. The keep warm is great also - nice to have two things cooking at the same time. That being said - the bottom oven is low, but that is worth the extra cooking space.

Mine is a Maytag wall oven and I purchased it because I had a Maytag Range in the house before this and loved it. It is a very accurate oven. I would rate its accuracy with the Thermador wall oven which is one of the most expensive ovens. It heats quickly and stays within the range of temperature you are using. Everything comes out just right. I like going to a Maytag dealer who knows a particular brand or brands not a large dealer of many brands. Always do some homework since brands can change over time with who owns them and who is manufacturing them.

Maytag gas range 5 burners. Maytag is quality. Period. I doubt that other brands are made as well. From the handle of the oven door to the ease of cleaning the burners, you won't find better for the price. I look for quality and reliability. I read reviews. A deal breaker on any major purchased would be too many bad reviews and shoddy materials or construction. This range has 3 regular burners, one large burner and one small burner. The oven shelves easily adjust from one level to another. The controls are easy to reach and the timer and bake controls are easy to operate.

We purchased a Maytag, ELECTRIC range/oven, Model# MER8700DSO. Electric because GAS is not an option where we reside. Nothing bothers us, and the stainless steel finish is terrific! This machine works so well our only regret is not having it sooner. Poor warranty, poor construction, and poor performance would be a definite deal breaker, but thankfully, our investment in our appliances is paying off quite well! Do NOT pay for an extended warranty wherever you purchase the appliances as Maytag offers almost the same, but a little better and a little less money.

I did not purchase it. This range came with my home. The electric range works great. It is thorough and I don't have to worry about the gas being on and filling the house up. Electric may not be for everyone, but it is the way to go for me. I will look for similar if not the exact same make/model if a replacement is necessary. I don't mind spending a little extra to ensure the product will last. So many products don't last nowadays and it is sad.

I am not an avid cooker, actually I tend to mess up a lot of food recipes but the electric range helps me to reduce the number of problems I run across with the durability and accountability of the product. It cooks throughout the entire dish/pan and I have never had a problem with the unit working properly, just the user not working properly. Haha.

Turned the oven on, and it failed to light. A little while later, it started leaking gas into the house. I'm lucky the house didn't explode!

Maytag calls peeling paint a cosmetic issue. With a convection oven it could be a toxicity issue. Waiting for an answer to my question as the fan blows the peeling paint onto anything that is not covered. Don't put foil on the bottom as this compromises the paint due to design. Truly sorry to have purchased Maytag as this line is not the Maytag we grew up with! Old school ovens and products had the quality or workmanship to last.

Less than four years ago we purchased a new set of Maytag appliances, refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, microwave, and upright freezer. To date, the only appliance we have not had a problem with is the microwave. The bottom element is not working on our stove model # MER8775AS. We will never buy Maytag or Whirlpool products again. Save yourself time and money!

I have a major complaint with the Maytag double oven design. With the smaller oven above, if you spill any liquid while taking something out of the top oven, the liquid drips down between the two panes of glass on the lower oven door. This makes it impossible to clean. Maytag's reply - call a service rep and have him make a house call and take the door apart for you and clean it. Not warranty work so I would have to do this every few months. Also, when baking in the upper oven, cakes and cookies tend to overcook on the bottom as the dishes are so close to the element.

Our circuit board has went out twice. The stove is not designed well. The oven vent sends hot air over the plastic panel / circuit board. It melts... The first one was under warranty and the second, only three years later, was not. This is a very expensive part and Maytag will not even talk about giving me a discount.

I purchased a whole stainless steel kitchen from Lowe's and purchased all Maytag products because of the so called quality of Maytag. First we had to return the microwave because it was dented badly. We then notified Lowe's that the door on the refrigerator cold cut drawer falls off when opening the drawer. Service man said he would send a new door. Same problem. You can clearly see that the drawer and the refrigerator frame is deformed. Maytag says that the warranty does not cover cosmetics. The range has a aqua lift self-cleaning technology that simply sucks. The oven does not clean! I recommend that no one ever buy Maytag products. They are the worst! I should not have listened to the salesman and bought what I originally wanted - SAMSUNG!!!

I purchased this oven in April 2015. I have had nothing but problems with the unit. The temperature is off. I have had the "probe" replaced in July and will be done again next week (January 26, 2016). The AquaLift self-cleaning feature does not work. I ran the self-cleaning feature about 8 times and back to back on several occasions. The service providers stated that it really doesn't work and there is nothing they can do about it. The front of my oven, above the vent, is stained from the oven exhaust. They said there is nothing they can do about that either.

The last service company that came out for a service call to check the oven temperature came without the proper tool to check the temperature and ended up snapping the propane line. I was given 6 month of a free extended warranty "for my inconvenience" and told that the company does not replace models. They will continue to come out and repair them. I will never buy another Maytag appliance again.

We had a house built in 2007 and bought all new Maytag appliances - washer, dryer, oven/range, dishwasher, refrigerator and microwave. Consequently, we spent many thousands of $ and Maytag made much money from our purchases. In the 7.5 years since we have been using these appliances, the dishwasher already had to be replaced, as fixing it would have cost just as much as buying a new one. But it's the range that I am so angry about. I have replaced the igniter 3 times since 2007, and last night, it went out again. I have spent $494 so far to keep replacing the igniter and once I make the service call to replace it AGAIN, it means I will have spent approx. $700 to keep fixing an appliance that is only 7.5 years old. Maytag says the warranty on the appliance is only for 1 year and will not budge on giving me a break on cost of parts and/or service. I will NEVER AGAIN purchase anything Maytag or recommend Maytag to anyone.

The top of the range has blistered and has worn off. It cannot be cleaned. I spoke to a Maytag representative and was told to try and use magic eraser to clean around the burners. This did not work. The model number is mgr7775xs. Is there any solution to this problem. My range looks terrible.

CHRISTMAS morning Set oven to 325 for ham. Control board caught fire and burnt wires and burnt inside of rear cover. It got hot enough to char the wood wall behind stove. This could have killed my family on CHRISTMAS.

The first problem happened a month after we bought the horrible product. I had biscuits baking in the oven and the oven door locked itself like when in self-clean mode. Maytag sent out a repairman that had the part in his truck because they knew there was a problem with that model's door. I pointed out that the door does not shut properly, causing inaccurate heating and scorching on the outside of the oven door. The repairman insisted that it was shut properly, and that it was designed at the angle the door sits. He replaced the scorched part of the door, but it immediately scorched again. I have had the part replaced 3 times, and will not do so again until we sell the house.

I have spent over money over and over again to make the repair, because it makes the stove look like it is filthy with grease. Now, all the dots painted on the glass top are coming off, and the remaining black glass behind it also looks like burnt grease. It is so embarrassing when entertaining; but the stove is clean. I spent a lot of money for this, and it has been junk from day one. Avoid purchasing.

We have had our oven for seven years this past October 2015 and has now been down for three weeks. Last February 2015 (8 months ago) we had to replace the bake igniter because the oven would not get up to temperature. The most recent incident happened a few days after Thanksgiving (2015), I was cooking dinner and noticed that the oven was not reaching desired temperature. I then opened the door to see if it was hot inside the oven and when I did it must have ignited making a huge poof and flames came out at me! Thank God my 12-year-old daughter had walked away from cooking with me to answer the telephone because the flames came out exactly where she had been standing!!!

I contacted Maytag and explained what had happened and how we could have had an explosion or someone could've burned. The first questions they did ask me was if anyone was injured or any damage to our house?!?! I was happy for that however, it also told me that this has happened before! They called the Maytag repairman in my area and "supposedly" made it a priority call in which he could not come until 12/10 which was two weeks after this happened. Therefore, my husband and I contacted a different appliance man who came out and told us it was the temperature sensor. Since fixing it, the oven works ok and cooks properly however, when initially lighting/igniting it is extremely loud and makes a very large/huge poof! It's as if the oven is filling up with gas and eventually lighting!

The other night when I lit it to show my husband it was so loud that it rattled the door and he immediately turned off the gas to it. I googled this and it said that it's basically a mini explosion where the oven is filling with gas and then igniting! It's to the point that we could lose everything we have worked for just to make a meal! We spend over a thousand dollars on our beautiful stainless steel convect oven. It's gorgeous and when working works great however, I'm petrified to use it now because I'm scared to being burned or exploding!

Now we start over and yesterday on Sunday I contacted the original Maytag repairman who said to call back Maytag again and he'll come immediately. Maytag originally told me on the phone that they would cover labor and the service call however, ironically enough they did not write that in the dispatch order! I'm outraged! What will it take before it's safe for our family and home! My husband is ready to junk it and buy a GE however, we do not have the money especially before Christmas to do so. Oh and let me add that the first week we had the oven we had to call them for the window seal to be replaced because it was hanging. So now seven years after owning it and 10 months apart we are having major issues. What happens if it's fixed and a year later it happens again? It could explode in our home!!! SCARED & IRATE WITH MAYTAG & WHIRLPOOL.

I purchased this range from a Maytag outlet in Nov. 2006. No problems with it until Nov 2015. The oven igniter failed. This was serviced locally and replaced in an efficient manner by the local service tech. All is good until 2 days later when I decided it is time for an oven cleaning cycle. I set the cycle for Medium Soil (3hrs). After the conclusion of the clean cycle, the oven (bake) would not work. Called Maytag service, the service tech replaced burned up oven wiring as well as the igniter again. However, the cleaning cycle had taken out the gas safety valve control as well. I am now told there is no replacement oven gas safety valve unit available anywhere. I even called Maytag's 1-800 number and searched online only to find the part on backorder and not available.

I find this particularly frustrating in light that I spent over $1200 on a Maytag product I thought would bring way more than 9 years of service before it is deemed unrepairable. The average gas range lifetime is 18 years. In my opinion, not a good return for the investment. It's a shame because the rest of the range works and looks fine, which is now destined for the dump. I am replacing the Maytag with a $550. Frigidaire with manual cleaning. Will never buy another Maytag appliance or a self cleaning oven again. If the self cleaning feature has the potential to fry the controls, why would they offer such a feature, or why couldn't they warn one of the potential failure.

Our oven is 3 years old and the last time I used the self clean option caused the control panel to malfunction. Now we have to buy a new panel. The repair guy online advises people not to use the self clean as this is a common problem!!! What? I can't use that feature? That is so ridiculous!!! Now we have to pay $300. Whatever happened to the Maytag claim to quality and you would never see a Maytag repair man? Something needs to be done about the problem of appliances and electronics being so poorly made and basically disposable.

I purchased a unit in Nov 2013 and as of today Nov 2015, the handle fell off and the heater unit went bad. What ever happened to dependable appliances?

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Maytag is the oldest home appliance manufacturer still operating in the U.S. and was founded in 1893. It produced its earliest cooking appliances in the early 1980s, marking its first serious foray into home products unrelated to cleaning.

• Flexible styling: Maytag maintains consistent styling across its product lines and even across product generations, making it easy to design a kitchen around them.
  • Fitting tools: Maytag offers a variety of tools to help buyers find appliances to fit their available space.
  • Innovative appliance layouts: Maytag offers multiple units that allow users to increase their cooking space without making the overall appliance larger.
  • Compact options: Maytag's extensive choices for single cooktops and compact appliances make it a good fit for buyers with little space in their kitchen.
  • Length of warranty: Maytag's 10-year warranty is one of the longest in the industry and usually includes easy scheduling of in-home visits from the iconic "Maytag Repairman."
  • Best for Users cooking for one and users cooking for families.

Compare Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves