1.44/5
Based on 215 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Maytag Ranges/Ovens

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 12, 2017

359 Maytag Ranges/Ovens Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Echoing the sentiments of others on this site, I am deeply disappointed in Maytag brand appliances manufactured by the Whirlpool Corp. When, for the first time in my life, I was able to buy all brand new kitchen appliances, I didn't even consider any other brand but Maytag. This was based on many decades of using Maytag products and watching my mother use them. I come from a big family so our appliances got used hard, and the Maytag brand ones worked year after year, decade after decade with little or no maintenance. To put it quite frankly, my new Maytag products are junk. I could supply a whole laundry list of problems but, in the interest of space, will just tell about the latest.

A couple of weeks ago the fake tin foil paint on my oven and burner knobs just started falling off, revealing cheap plastic underneath. When I called Maytag to complain, I was asked how I clean the knobs. I told them that when I clean the stove front I remove the knobs and drop them in warm water with a couple drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid for the few minutes it takes to clean and polish the stove front, and that I had been using this same procedure for 2 years. The rep. hemmed and hawed awhile and then went away to consult her database.

When she returned she told me that one is not allowed to "soak" the knobs per the manual, and therefore she could not offer any help. She then "generously" offered to transfer me to the parts department, where the rep. informed me that replacements would cost $70 EACH, that's a total of $350 plus shipping for 5 cheap plastic knobs. WOW! What a deal! I tell everyone I meet NOT to buy any Maytag branded product, and to apply extreme skepticism before considering any Whirlpool product. (BTW - the last "certified" Maytag appliance repairman to come & fix one of the appliances essentially admitted they are junk.) Model #: MGR8775AS SN: R32810432.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

We purchased a $945 Maytag 6.4 Cu. ft. self-cleaning freestanding electric convection range which was part of the stainless-steel package for $3600 + a $600-dollar 5 warranty. I did the research and found a solid 4.0 rating, so I went for it. Now I wish I never wasted my money and time. My 5-year warranty for all 4 appliances expired on 8/17 and now everything starts failing, how convenient. The oven will not heat past 340-350 degrees which won’t work with 90% of the stuff I bake. I called Maytag to see if it can be fixed and was quoted $400 for the issue but nothing else. I can pick up a new stainless-steel oven with the save features on a holiday sale for $500. Don’t waste your money on warranties!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I purchased the Maytag 6.5 inch electric convection oven about 2 years ago. I wish I hadn't. The oven temp is way off, it cooks unevenly, the back burners hardly work, and the back burners on the stove top barely work, the knobs get stuck constantly, the self cleaning does not work, and the glass part of the door allows dust to get trapped in the glass. The range is $800+ piece of junk, best used at the scrap yard.

Today, I turn my oven on, and the element underneath the oven pan caught on fire. Now it's broken in half, and needs to be replaced. I look up the QR code, and come to find out the oven is actually a Whirlpool, with Maytag labels on the outside. I would have never purchased this range if I knew it was a Whirlpool. I have always had issues with Whirlpool appliances. This is a fraudulent product, and deceives the customer. Why sell it as a Maytag, when it's really a Whirlpool? It should at least state that fact on the description, and salespeople should advise the customer. Now I know why it's a piece of junk, because it's a WHIRLPOOL!!! I will never buy a Maytag or Whirlpool product ever again. I have always stuck with Maytag appliances. Every appliance in my house is a Maytag, or are they Whirlpool?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Great stove for the price. The oven bakes good, the self-cleaning oven is awesome, the top is easy to clean up and regulating the temperature is so easy.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Mine is the Chrome Maytag four-burner cooktop model. About $700. I installed it with ease. After two years there are only one or two slight scratches. It sees full meals for two cooked daily. The grate is first class and looks new, the top itself is easy to clean with a damp soapy cloth and mineral oil. There is easily enough BTU power for any size of pro pan. The igniters are healthy and fine and a repair would be easy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag?

Original review: July 14, 2017

Please Do NOT purchase the Maytag Aqua Lift Gas Range. It does not clean anything, you will pay more money for a cleaning oven that does not clean any grease or droppings if you cook. This is not an Oven for any one, or family that cooks large meals or has gatherings. I had the technicians at my house over 4 times and they confirmed that this oven is not a self cleaning oven. It doesn't get hot enough as your self cleaning ovens. And MAYTAG did not want to hear anything, basically not clean much, but advertised as a self cleaning oven. Having been a Maytag customer for years I will never buy a Maytag product again. And we need to support American made, but not when the consumer is misled.

Original review: June 28, 2017

After using my GE Profile to death we replaced it with a Maytag; mostly for the cost. Although I hate to admit this, remember the old saying you get what you paid for - Well it's true at least in the case of this Maytag oven. I am a constant cook and own a bakery, I often bake many of my products at home. Since getting this oven I have had nothing but failures. The cakes are over done, underdone, cookies burnt, not cooked enough; my time frame for recipes is so off! I wrote a cook book and have baked for years so I know for a fact it's not some miraculous mishap that all of a sudden I can't bake. I've had them come calibrate the oven but still no success.

I'm going to call them again but I felt compelled to let people know this is the worst oven in history and avoid purchasing it at all cost. I plan on having the service team come out one last time but if this doesn't work I plan on replacing it. It's a Maytag Double Wall Oven-Top Convection-Self Cleaning model no: MEW9630DS-SS. BUYER'S BEWARE!

Original review: April 27, 2017

I am very dissatisfied with this Maytag Gemini oven I've had it for 4yrs. It has been in the shop twice for the same problem. Temperature control. It is down again for the same thing temperature control. The repairman, who I had to look at it, says the bill will be over $500.00. I paid $1300.00 for this stove. I can't afford to put any more money in this stove. I had to pay $100.00 for repairman to tell me this. The model # met8665xw02 serial#D30522404. Is there a recall on this stove? There should be. I sold Maytag products for several years at Circuit City. I always pushed Maytag instead of another brand. I believed in Maytag. The repairman hasn't been "lonely" to me.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

I have had my stove since 2004. A problem I have had was when I asked it to clean the ovens, it quit working all together. A service person was called. Also sometimes when I turn on one burner, another one will turn on instead. Yesterday I turned on a burner to low, and it did not turn on at all.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

The ranges are getting great but are more so with digital than buttons and knobs which they should still have, especially for the handicapped and some elderly who prefer them. It would help prevent injuries. It was hard for me to find the knobs.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

I bought this after having a Frigidaire for 40 years and was immediately disappointed upon installation. This OVEN, not a range, was smaller inside and a lot of new pans would not fit! I have replaced the burners and the bulb wiring several times. Would not buy another one!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I read some of the reviews on the Maytag ovens. I too have the same problems! Have had control panel replaced and still have to set at 400 if I need to bake at 350. It also takes forever to preheat. Trust this review because I am one very unhappy consumer!! DO NOT buy Maytag!!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

After 2 years the oven didn't work. I had a repair fix it for $500 but if I wanted the convection to work it would cost another $800. Obviously not worth it. Now the oven needs to be set at 400 if I want then actual temperature to be 350. Now the latest - the racks are too small and falling! I just put my Le Creuset in the oven and the rack fell. Splashed everywhere! This happened at Christmas with my turkey. So bought the fridge - everything in the back freezes. Never ever buying Maytag again. I'm guessing the Maytag repairman isn't lonely anymore.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

I purchased the Maytag double-oven gas range, Model MGT8775XS, in 2013. The quality of this double-oven stove cannot be understated. Performance? Terrible. Reliability? Awful. My experience was shocking because when I was a kid, Maytag was the ideal for quality and reliability. Those days are over. When delivered in 2013, the ovens did not work. Heating went to 200 degrees and stopped. During the next three years, we had this Maytag stove repaired four times. The most recent repair was in October 2016. A new regulator and igniter cost us $360. Four weeks later you guessed it the ovens stopped working yet again. We sent the Maytag stove to the recycle dump. It's far more valuable as scrap metal.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2017

We bought this stove in 2014. One knob got stuck while my teenager was cooking food on the gas stove. He called me at work worried because he couldn't turn it off. My husband left work right away to go home. We thought it was just a bad plastic knob. Now a second knob is stuck in the on low position. There is a third knob that feels hard to turn. That will be 3 burners. This is ridiculous. It's a safety hazard. We consumers have to worry if the house will burn down, get CO2 in the air, and if our family and children are safe. We thought Maytag was a good appliance. I will not buy another Maytag. They should recall this stove top/oven. I have read so many of the same complaint on this website as well as online in general. I can't believe they continue to sell this with this much of a safety issue. Please take it off the market.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

Should have read reviews. I'll never buy another Maytag. This stove has been bad almost from start. Stove has burned marks from using "broil". Repairman told me not to use broil anymore. One of "eyes" has been worked on 2 times; the knob does not work correctly; when you turn off, it goes past the "off" and keeps on going to the left. It is very hard to clean surface. I have had a few years. Company paid for one repair. They should have replaced stove from beginning. Not safe.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2016

Maytag AquaLift Oven #YMER8880BW - The aqualift technology does not clean the oven. It is sorely inadequate. I bought Maytag because of its reputation. This range should be recalled as should all their ranges with this useless technology. Buyers BEWARE! Do not purchase any range from Maytag which advertises Aqua Lift technology. This purchase has soured your reputation Maytag. I also purchased a fridge with the stove. I will NEVER buy a Maytag product again. I also would like to ask frustrated and disenchanted readers how they are getting their ovens cleaned. What product(s) can be used. Maytag - complete FAIL!!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2016

We purchased our Maytag gas range in 2015. Within 6 months we noticed the clear coat and paint was defective, we called Sears, they allowed us another range top and replaced it but told us our warranty was up in a month and they would not replace another. The stove always looks dirty because the clear coat and paint have bubbled up and it is clearly a 100% manufacturing defect that should be recalled.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2016

I have Maytag Model MGT8885XS03 Gas Range. I bought it in Nov 2013. The surface burner valves, which regulate the gas flow, are a bad design. One valve got stuck and needed replacement within first 13 month. Then another valve got stuck about a year ago and the third one got stuck today Nov 19. So far I spent $400.00, just for 2 of them and the last one has not being replaced yet. This is a safety issue, because it always happen when the stove is on and will not turn off. I need Maytag to replace my stove because I am afraid this will burn my house down. I bought Maytag because they always advertise as quality product, and now I have to live with the nightmare of burning my house down.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2016

I purchased a Maytag gas range in the past few weeks with Aqua Lift Cleaning System. I have only cooked once when grease spattered on the walls and floor of the oven. I have used the Aqua Lift Cleaning System 5 (five!) times and the grease is still there and very sticky. This system clearly does not do what it was supposed to do. I was fortunate to have bought the appliance where I could return it; however, it has been quite a hassle and I will have to pay an additional $100 to have the old one removed and the new one installed! I feel like Maytag should reimburse me the $100 because it is obvious to me now that I have found hundreds of reports of people not being satisfied with this feature.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2016

My four year old Maytag stove blew out the lower heating element in the oven. The model number is MER8880AW. I removed seven small screws to confirm what the problem was and remove the element. That is a short life span for a stove element. My wife checked our paperwork and thought it indicate the part was covered on the 10 year warranty. Called Maytag at 9 AM and went through the press numbers thing, being put on hold, call dropped, told they were not open twice, etc. Finally got a person to talk to at 2:45 pm. Yes the part is covered under warranty, but no they will not give me the part.

A repairman must plug it in and put the seven screws back in. This will cost me a lot more than the $50 the part cost me at the local appliance store. 10 year warranty. Wow, WORTHLESS! There WILL NEVER BE another Maytag or Whirlpool in my house. Making a big deal out of their warranty when they are going to soak you bad for a simple install is just plain dishonest.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2016

I have Maytag Model MGT8885XS03 Gas Range. I bought it in 2014. The surface burner valves, which regulate the gas flow, are a bad design. One valve got stuck and needed replacement within warranty. Then another valve got stuck about a year ago and the third one got stuck about a month ago. I am going to replace these two valves now. My friend, who is helping me replace, has similar gas range. He also needs to replace a valve. His range is about a year old.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2016

Our product was purchased with our Condo. We have had it for 6 months & the first time I called someone was for the oven door being so terribly hot. I was told that was normal. Then I tried the cleaning of it & you would never know anything had been done. It would take a heck of a lot of elbow grease to get the marks off & I don't have the strength or time to be doing that. I had someone come again & he said to do it again, which I did & it still was not clean. I have done it a 3rd time now & still no better. I think this product is a total piece of junk & would not recommend it to anyone. I am a very unhappy customer & will never purchase another MAYTAG product.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2016

I just bought my Maytag Range model #MGR8700DS2 in August 2016. Bought Maytag because I always thought it was one of the best with the best warranty around. Now I am not so sure. After using it the first time, found that when you are baking anything in the oven the burner control knobs get very hot. That is because they designed the knob area to be right above where the heat vents out from the oven door. The knobs get so hot that you almost burn yourself if you touch them. This is a bad design in my opinion especially if you have any kids around. Even the sides of the oven get way too hot. This is also bad because of the tight spacing to your cabinets. I contacted Maytag about this and got a "OH WELL" kind of reply to my problem. You bought it and you are stuck with it. I would not recommend buying this model to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2016

We purchased a Maytag electric convection oven with a warming drawer 3 months ago. We have been happy with the cooking features, but not the Aqualift self-cleaning. It does not work and Maytag does not acknowledge this. Instead they have offered cleaning products to us which their own instructions tell you not to use! Does this sound like a self-cleaning oven? They have offered to send out a service person to check the temperature. However, from reading multiple reviews by others, there will likely be no satisfaction from this company.

Original review: July 4, 2016

We purchased a wall oven model MEW7530DE 11/8/2014 which was installed the first part of December 2014. From the beginning the temp was not constant and everything baked was either burned or under baked. The first repairman said the control panel was faulty and was replaced four months after purchase, the problem continued. After three more repairmen all from different companies concluded they could find no problem and that's just how ovens work now. We contacted the owner of Hamilton's Appliance, where the oven was purchased, and requested a replacement oven which was accomplished December 2015.

New oven, same problem, very disappointing. My wife has been baking for over 50 years and has never experienced problems and frustration on this level. The condition of the oven is totally unacceptable and with all the effort by us and others we are at a loss. We purchased an extended warranty which has resulted not fixing of the problem. We hired an electrician to inspect the wiring in case that was the problem, costing us $200. The wiring was all good. What do we do next and what are our options short of another new oven. WHAT IS MAYTAG'S RESPONSIBILITY? Respectfully, a very unhappy customer.

Original review: June 30, 2016

Purchased this double oven back in 2012 and have had to have the control valves replaced twice because of them jamming and snapping. The burners are undersized for cooking and it takes forever to get water to a rolling boil. The broiler in the upper oven needs constant attention when using it because food cooks unevenly and burns quickly. The lower oven is great, convection is awesome. I have seen the Maytag repairman more from my stove than I have for any of the other appliances I owe combined. Maytag should stick to appliances that only use water.

Original review: June 22, 2016

I purchased this new a year and 4 months ago and have had nothing but issues. We thought it cooked slow or cooked high/low but couldn't be sure if we were just imagining it until we had family come down at Christmas and complain about how slow the top burners are and why is it taking so long to boil water. Then again family for Easter where they cooked three days in a row and they complained that our top oven either burns or under-cooks the food which we had noticed but presumed we just mistimed a lot of food. Just recently the bottom oven won't heat past 350 and just constantly says preheating. The top oven followed suit shortly after. Nothing past 350.

Original review: May 10, 2016

This review is for a Maytag Gemini MGT8775XW 30 Freestanding Double-Oven Gas Range w/ 5 Burners. I cannot believe the amount of problems I have had from this $2000+ range. Within just a few weeks of getting it, the paint started scratching off the surfaces nearest the heat. Then, the plastic cover over the digital display and controls bubbled up due to the heat of the broiler being in use. They designed it so that the heat escapes from the oven right in front of the control panel, so when you want to adjust temperatures on the control panel, you chance getting burnt from the hot air every time.

The very worst design are the manual knobs for the burners on the front. They are at an angle, and if you look at the oven straight on, you see they are higher than the burner surface. A hot pan that overhangs the burner cooks the knobs. The plastic interior of the knob lacks any kind of heat resistance and actually starts to turn soft, keeping you from being able to turn off the burner at all!

Most dangerous of all, the knobs are frighteningly easy to bump, pouring gas into your house. We have had this problem multiple times. Today, my dog must have wanted to investigate the top of the stove, because when I came home, the burner was on, had burnt through a pot on the stove, and was just at the ignition point for an item sitting next to the stove. If I had come home 15 minutes later, my house would be in flames right now. I am having to air out my home as I type this. I am DONE with this dangerous oven and will be shopping for a new one, and it certainly won't be Maytag.

Original review: March 25, 2016

I purchased this at Home Depot October 2013. The oven heats well. I like the "upper and lower" oven feature. The broiler works fine. I rarely cook using convection. The self-cleaning feature, to this date works fine. Dislikes - the stainless is cheesy and scratches easily. The nobs on the front are of poor quality and the cook top stains easily and does not come clean. Disturbing - the gas cook top has come on twice with simple bumps and gone unnoticed for a period of time. Usually, you hear the clicking with the gas turning on, but not always.

MOST DISTURBING - last night, 1:30 in the morning, I wake up to the heavy smell of gas. Neither my husband, nor I cooked that day, at all. I walked out to the kitchen (opening windows along the way) and the right front burner nob was turned just enough to expel gas, no clicking noise, no flame. This being the third incident (that I can recall), I think this appliance should be recalled. The nobs are not secure/safe enough to be on a gas appliance. Aside from the hazard described above, I too am dismayed at the fact that drips go between the glass and there is no way to clean it. Another poor design flaw.

Maytag expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Maytag is the oldest home appliance manufacturer still operating in the U.S. and was founded in 1893. It produced its earliest cooking appliances in the early 1980s, marking its first serious foray into home products unrelated to cleaning.

• Flexible styling: Maytag maintains consistent styling across its product lines and even across product generations, making it easy to design a kitchen around them.
    • Fitting tools: Maytag offers a variety of tools to help buyers find appliances to fit their available space.
    • Innovative appliance layouts: Maytag offers multiple units that allow users to increase their cooking space without making the overall appliance larger.
    • Compact options: Maytag's extensive choices for single cooktops and compact appliances make it a good fit for buyers with little space in their kitchen.
    • Length of warranty: Maytag's 10-year warranty is one of the longest in the industry and usually includes easy scheduling of in-home visits from the iconic "Maytag Repairman."
    • Best for: Users cooking for one and users cooking for families.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs