Maytag Ranges/Ovens

Compare Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves

Research top Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have had my stove since 2004. A problem I have had was when I asked it to clean the ovens, it quit working all together. A service person was called. Also sometimes when I turn on one burner, another one will turn on instead. Yesterday I turned on a burner to low, and it did not turn on at all.

The ranges are getting great but are more so with digital than buttons and knobs which they should still have, especially for the handicapped and some elderly who prefer them. It would help prevent injuries. It was hard for me to find the knobs.

I bought this after having a Frigidaire for 40 years and was immediately disappointed upon installation. This OVEN, not a range, was smaller inside and a lot of new pans would not fit! I have replaced the burners and the bulb wiring several times. Would not buy another one!

I read some of the reviews on the Maytag ovens. I too have the same problems! Have had control panel replaced and still have to set at 400 if I need to bake at 350. It also takes forever to preheat. Trust this review because I am one very unhappy consumer!! DO NOT buy Maytag!!

After 2 years the oven didn't work. I had a repair fix it for $500 but if I wanted the convection to work it would cost another $800. Obviously not worth it. Now the oven needs to be set at 400 if I want then actual temperature to be 350. Now the latest - the racks are too small and falling! I just put my Le Creuset in the oven and the rack fell. Splashed everywhere! This happened at Christmas with my turkey. So bought the fridge - everything in the back freezes. Never ever buying Maytag again. I'm guessing the Maytag repairman isn't lonely anymore.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag?

I purchased the Maytag double-oven gas range, Model MGT8775XS, in 2013. The quality of this double-oven stove cannot be understated. Performance? Terrible. Reliability? Awful. My experience was shocking because when I was a kid, Maytag was the ideal for quality and reliability. Those days are over. When delivered in 2013, the ovens did not work. Heating went to 200 degrees and stopped. During the next three years, we had this Maytag stove repaired four times. The most recent repair was in October 2016. A new regulator and igniter cost us $360. Four weeks later you guessed it the ovens stopped working yet again. We sent the Maytag stove to the recycle dump. It's far more valuable as scrap metal.

We bought this stove in 2014. One knob got stuck while my teenager was cooking food on the gas stove. He called me at work worried because he couldn't turn it off. My husband left work right away to go home. We thought it was just a bad plastic knob. Now a second knob is stuck in the on low position. There is a third knob that feels hard to turn. That will be 3 burners. This is ridiculous. It's a safety hazard. We consumers have to worry if the house will burn down, get CO2 in the air, and if our family and children are safe. We thought Maytag was a good appliance. I will not buy another Maytag. They should recall this stove top/oven. I have read so many of the same complaint on this website as well as online in general. I can't believe they continue to sell this with this much of a safety issue. Please take it off the market.

Should have read reviews. I'll never buy another Maytag. This stove has been bad almost from start. Stove has burned marks from using "broil". Repairman told me not to use broil anymore. One of "eyes" has been worked on 2 times; the knob does not work correctly; when you turn off, it goes past the "off" and keeps on going to the left. It is very hard to clean surface. I have had a few years. Company paid for one repair. They should have replaced stove from beginning. Not safe.

Maytag AquaLift Oven #YMER8880BW - The aqualift technology does not clean the oven. It is sorely inadequate. I bought Maytag because of its reputation. This range should be recalled as should all their ranges with this useless technology. Buyers BEWARE! Do not purchase any range from Maytag which advertises Aqua Lift technology. This purchase has soured your reputation Maytag. I also purchased a fridge with the stove. I will NEVER buy a Maytag product again. I also would like to ask frustrated and disenchanted readers how they are getting their ovens cleaned. What product(s) can be used. Maytag - complete FAIL!!

We purchased our Maytag gas range in 2015. Within 6 months we noticed the clear coat and paint was defective, we called Sears, they allowed us another range top and replaced it but told us our warranty was up in a month and they would not replace another. The stove always looks dirty because the clear coat and paint have bubbled up and it is clearly a 100% manufacturing defect that should be recalled.

I have Maytag Model MGT8885XS03 Gas Range. I bought it in Nov 2013. The surface burner valves, which regulate the gas flow, are a bad design. One valve got stuck and needed replacement within first 13 month. Then another valve got stuck about a year ago and the third one got stuck today Nov 19. So far I spent $400.00, just for 2 of them and the last one has not being replaced yet. This is a safety issue, because it always happen when the stove is on and will not turn off. I need Maytag to replace my stove because I am afraid this will burn my house down. I bought Maytag because they always advertise as quality product, and now I have to live with the nightmare of burning my house down.

I purchased a Maytag gas range in the past few weeks with Aqua Lift Cleaning System. I have only cooked once when grease spattered on the walls and floor of the oven. I have used the Aqua Lift Cleaning System 5 (five!) times and the grease is still there and very sticky. This system clearly does not do what it was supposed to do. I was fortunate to have bought the appliance where I could return it; however, it has been quite a hassle and I will have to pay an additional $100 to have the old one removed and the new one installed! I feel like Maytag should reimburse me the $100 because it is obvious to me now that I have found hundreds of reports of people not being satisfied with this feature.

My four year old Maytag stove blew out the lower heating element in the oven. The model number is MER8880AW. I removed seven small screws to confirm what the problem was and remove the element. That is a short life span for a stove element. My wife checked our paperwork and thought it indicate the part was covered on the 10 year warranty. Called Maytag at 9 AM and went through the press numbers thing, being put on hold, call dropped, told they were not open twice, etc. Finally got a person to talk to at 2:45 pm. Yes the part is covered under warranty, but no they will not give me the part.

A repairman must plug it in and put the seven screws back in. This will cost me a lot more than the $50 the part cost me at the local appliance store. 10 year warranty. Wow, WORTHLESS! There WILL NEVER BE another Maytag or Whirlpool in my house. Making a big deal out of their warranty when they are going to soak you bad for a simple install is just plain dishonest.

I have Maytag Model MGT8885XS03 Gas Range. I bought it in 2014. The surface burner valves, which regulate the gas flow, are a bad design. One valve got stuck and needed replacement within warranty. Then another valve got stuck about a year ago and the third one got stuck about a month ago. I am going to replace these two valves now. My friend, who is helping me replace, has similar gas range. He also needs to replace a valve. His range is about a year old.

Our product was purchased with our Condo. We have had it for 6 months & the first time I called someone was for the oven door being so terribly hot. I was told that was normal. Then I tried the cleaning of it & you would never know anything had been done. It would take a heck of a lot of elbow grease to get the marks off & I don't have the strength or time to be doing that. I had someone come again & he said to do it again, which I did & it still was not clean. I have done it a 3rd time now & still no better. I think this product is a total piece of junk & would not recommend it to anyone. I am a very unhappy customer & will never purchase another MAYTAG product.

I just bought my Maytag Range model #MGR8700DS2 in August 2016. Bought Maytag because I always thought it was one of the best with the best warranty around. Now I am not so sure. After using it the first time, found that when you are baking anything in the oven the burner control knobs get very hot. That is because they designed the knob area to be right above where the heat vents out from the oven door. The knobs get so hot that you almost burn yourself if you touch them. This is a bad design in my opinion especially if you have any kids around. Even the sides of the oven get way too hot. This is also bad because of the tight spacing to your cabinets. I contacted Maytag about this and got a "OH WELL" kind of reply to my problem. You bought it and you are stuck with it. I would not recommend buying this model to anyone.

We purchased a Maytag electric convection oven with a warming drawer 3 months ago. We have been happy with the cooking features, but not the Aqualift self-cleaning. It does not work and Maytag does not acknowledge this. Instead they have offered cleaning products to us which their own instructions tell you not to use! Does this sound like a self-cleaning oven? They have offered to send out a service person to check the temperature. However, from reading multiple reviews by others, there will likely be no satisfaction from this company.

We purchased a wall oven model MEW7530DE 11/8/2014 which was installed the first part of December 2014. From the beginning the temp was not constant and everything baked was either burned or under baked. The first repairman said the control panel was faulty and was replaced four months after purchase, the problem continued. After three more repairmen all from different companies concluded they could find no problem and that's just how ovens work now. We contacted the owner of Hamilton's Appliance, where the oven was purchased, and requested a replacement oven which was accomplished December 2015.

New oven, same problem, very disappointing. My wife has been baking for over 50 years and has never experienced problems and frustration on this level. The condition of the oven is totally unacceptable and with all the effort by us and others we are at a loss. We purchased an extended warranty which has resulted not fixing of the problem. We hired an electrician to inspect the wiring in case that was the problem, costing us $200. The wiring was all good. What do we do next and what are our options short of another new oven. WHAT IS MAYTAG'S RESPONSIBILITY? Respectfully, a very unhappy customer.

Purchased this double oven back in 2012 and have had to have the control valves replaced twice because of them jamming and snapping. The burners are undersized for cooking and it takes forever to get water to a rolling boil. The broiler in the upper oven needs constant attention when using it because food cooks unevenly and burns quickly. The lower oven is great, convection is awesome. I have seen the Maytag repairman more from my stove than I have for any of the other appliances I owe combined. Maytag should stick to appliances that only use water.

I purchased this new a year and 4 months ago and have had nothing but issues. We thought it cooked slow or cooked high/low but couldn't be sure if we were just imagining it until we had family come down at Christmas and complain about how slow the top burners are and why is it taking so long to boil water. Then again family for Easter where they cooked three days in a row and they complained that our top oven either burns or under-cooks the food which we had noticed but presumed we just mistimed a lot of food. Just recently the bottom oven won't heat past 350 and just constantly says preheating. The top oven followed suit shortly after. Nothing past 350.

This review is for a Maytag Gemini MGT8775XW 30 Freestanding Double-Oven Gas Range w/ 5 Burners. I cannot believe the amount of problems I have had from this $2000+ range. Within just a few weeks of getting it, the paint started scratching off the surfaces nearest the heat. Then, the plastic cover over the digital display and controls bubbled up due to the heat of the broiler being in use. They designed it so that the heat escapes from the oven right in front of the control panel, so when you want to adjust temperatures on the control panel, you chance getting burnt from the hot air every time.

The very worst design are the manual knobs for the burners on the front. They are at an angle, and if you look at the oven straight on, you see they are higher than the burner surface. A hot pan that overhangs the burner cooks the knobs. The plastic interior of the knob lacks any kind of heat resistance and actually starts to turn soft, keeping you from being able to turn off the burner at all!

Most dangerous of all, the knobs are frighteningly easy to bump, pouring gas into your house. We have had this problem multiple times. Today, my dog must have wanted to investigate the top of the stove, because when I came home, the burner was on, had burnt through a pot on the stove, and was just at the ignition point for an item sitting next to the stove. If I had come home 15 minutes later, my house would be in flames right now. I am having to air out my home as I type this. I am DONE with this dangerous oven and will be shopping for a new one, and it certainly won't be Maytag.

I purchased this at Home Depot October 2013. The oven heats well. I like the "upper and lower" oven feature. The broiler works fine. I rarely cook using convection. The self-cleaning feature, to this date works fine. Dislikes - the stainless is cheesy and scratches easily. The nobs on the front are of poor quality and the cook top stains easily and does not come clean. Disturbing - the gas cook top has come on twice with simple bumps and gone unnoticed for a period of time. Usually, you hear the clicking with the gas turning on, but not always.

MOST DISTURBING - last night, 1:30 in the morning, I wake up to the heavy smell of gas. Neither my husband, nor I cooked that day, at all. I walked out to the kitchen (opening windows along the way) and the right front burner nob was turned just enough to expel gas, no clicking noise, no flame. This being the third incident (that I can recall), I think this appliance should be recalled. The nobs are not secure/safe enough to be on a gas appliance. Aside from the hazard described above, I too am dismayed at the fact that drips go between the glass and there is no way to clean it. Another poor design flaw.

We purchased a complete suite of Maytag kitchen appliances in September 2014 for $4300. We have had problems with every single piece. Yesterday we needed to clean the oven for the first time as we boiled over a pan of lasagna. Got out the instructions to how to use the "Aqua Lift" cleaning system. Found out that "Aqua Lift" is marketingese for "boy did we build a lot of profit margin into this oven by not putting a REAL self-cleaning unit into it." Instructions are to pour 2 cups of water into the bottom of the oven and press "clean." It heats up the water to about 150 degrees for 40 minutes. Guess what? YOU do all the work of cleaning out the oven. If I had wanted a non-self-cleaning oven, I would have bought a $400 basic stove instead of this bogus $969 stove. Will never buy Maytag again. We were taken advantage of.

Maytag Glass top model #MER8600DHO. I bought it because it got good consumer reviews. This is supposed to be a self clean oven but the steam system in this model is not very effective. It doesn't clean the oven. Would never buy a range again with this oven cleaning system. I wanted to try a glass top stove but wish I hadn't. It is harder to clean and the glass scratches. I really don't like the self clean oven system in this stove - it flat out doesn't work and it takes a lot of elbow grease to clean the oven. The oven however seems true to temperature and does a good job. Overall I am Ok with this stove but wouldn't purchase a glass top again.

Dual oven - one is a convection oven. Never used the bottom drawer so that was wasted on previous range. I purchased a white appliance to match my others. The white stove top is a pain. Too bad it wasn't black. I checked this model online and found a good price in the city. I contacted the local Home Depot and they did a price match less 10% - all a bonus. The ovens work great although I have not tried the self clean. I have read that similar models have problems related to the self clean feature - high heat and circuit boards. My plan is to have a fan directed at the top of the stove when I use it and the range hood fan going. The convection oven is great - hard to mess up a recipe with that. The dual ovens are truly a great feature - strongly recommend. The keep warm is great also - nice to have two things cooking at the same time. That being said - the bottom oven is low, but that is worth the extra cooking space.

Mine is a Maytag wall oven and I purchased it because I had a Maytag Range in the house before this and loved it. It is a very accurate oven. I would rate its accuracy with the Thermador wall oven which is one of the most expensive ovens. It heats quickly and stays within the range of temperature you are using. Everything comes out just right. I like going to a Maytag dealer who knows a particular brand or brands not a large dealer of many brands. Always do some homework since brands can change over time with who owns them and who is manufacturing them.

Maytag gas range 5 burners. Maytag is quality. Period. I doubt that other brands are made as well. From the handle of the oven door to the ease of cleaning the burners, you won't find better for the price. I look for quality and reliability. I read reviews. A deal breaker on any major purchased would be too many bad reviews and shoddy materials or construction. This range has 3 regular burners, one large burner and one small burner. The oven shelves easily adjust from one level to another. The controls are easy to reach and the timer and bake controls are easy to operate.

We purchased a Maytag, ELECTRIC range/oven, Model# MER8700DSO. Electric because GAS is not an option where we reside. Nothing bothers us, and the stainless steel finish is terrific! This machine works so well our only regret is not having it sooner. Poor warranty, poor construction, and poor performance would be a definite deal breaker, but thankfully, our investment in our appliances is paying off quite well! Do NOT pay for an extended warranty wherever you purchase the appliances as Maytag offers almost the same, but a little better and a little less money.

I did not purchase it. This range came with my home. The electric range works great. It is thorough and I don't have to worry about the gas being on and filling the house up. Electric may not be for everyone, but it is the way to go for me. I will look for similar if not the exact same make/model if a replacement is necessary. I don't mind spending a little extra to ensure the product will last. So many products don't last nowadays and it is sad.

I am not an avid cooker, actually I tend to mess up a lot of food recipes but the electric range helps me to reduce the number of problems I run across with the durability and accountability of the product. It cooks throughout the entire dish/pan and I have never had a problem with the unit working properly, just the user not working properly. Haha.

Turned the oven on, and it failed to light. A little while later, it started leaking gas into the house. I'm lucky the house didn't explode!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Maytag is the oldest home appliance manufacturer still operating in the U.S. and was founded in 1893. It produced its earliest cooking appliances in the early 1980s, marking its first serious foray into home products unrelated to cleaning.

• Flexible styling: Maytag maintains consistent styling across its product lines and even across product generations, making it easy to design a kitchen around them.
  • Fitting tools: Maytag offers a variety of tools to help buyers find appliances to fit their available space.
  • Innovative appliance layouts: Maytag offers multiple units that allow users to increase their cooking space without making the overall appliance larger.
  • Compact options: Maytag's extensive choices for single cooktops and compact appliances make it a good fit for buyers with little space in their kitchen.
  • Length of warranty: Maytag's 10-year warranty is one of the longest in the industry and usually includes easy scheduling of in-home visits from the iconic "Maytag Repairman."
  • Best for Users cooking for one and users cooking for families.

Compare Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves