Save on Appliance Repairs

Save on Appliance Repairs

With the Best Home Warranty

Compare Quotes

393 Maytag Ranges/Ovens Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 17, 2019

Major issues with the Aqua Lift Range. Takes forever to preheat the oven, 15-20 minutes to reach 375 f- 400 f. Aqua clean cycle not efficient and does not clean at all. The stove top is impossible to select and keep the heat consistent. When adjusting the heat up or down when you slightly move the dial it overreacts. When moved the heat sways may more than selected. The fridge works well but the bottom drawer is way too flimsy and it won't last a long time as it will crack. This is our first purchase of Maytag appliances and it will be our last. Our old 10-year-old stove worked much better than this one. Sincerely, Russell ** & Linda **, e-mail= **

Original review: March 15, 2019

We bought a Maytag oven in Late October 2018. On January 22, 2019 the oven quit heating. Since it was still under warranty we called Maytag and they sent out a contracted service technician. The service tech said the circuit board had gone bad, and said it would be 5 to 10 days for part to come in. After a month the part still had not come and service tech was not returning calls. We called Maytag after another week and they provided very little help other than, "We will contact service tech." Service tech never called us nor did Maytag call back.

Called Maytag back on 3.10.2019 and asked how we could get this part and oven fixed. Customer service representative was not very helpful as they asked for part number which she was told was a circuit board and the tech they sent did not give that to us. After the customer service rep continued to provide any help other than say call service tech they sent out. I asked what if they replaced it for us since we have been without now for almost as long as we have owned. She stated Maytag does not do this except in extreme cases. I asked what is considered extreme cases. She stated she did not know. At this point I asked if she could transfer me to her supervisor and sat on hold for an hour, then had to leave for work. Very disappointed with Maytag and their lack of support to back their product.

Get expert buying tips about Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I had a problem with my 1 year old oven. I scheduled an appointment and no one showed up. So I fixed it myself. A week later they called to schedule an appointment and I told them that they were scheduled for last week. So their response was OK, I don't need them anymore - goodbye. The parts are under warranty so I send them the part I replaced myself and the invoice for the cost. I didn't get a response. So 3 months later I send a second letter. Three more months and still no response. I can remember when Maytag had commercials showing their repair sleeping because they had no work to do. Now, their products are failing and their entire service depart is asleep.

Original review: March 8, 2019

We had a Whirlpool stove/oven for many years, and it was finally time to trade it in. Everything about that unit was good. While shopping for another Whirlpool, the sales rep told us that Maytag and Whirlpool are one and the same. That we found, is false. An important feature for us in an appliance is the self cleaning oven. The Maytag oven had to be leveled four times after it was installed, in order for the self clean feature to function. The self clean part is only a small indented portion of the bottom of the oven, not the entire oven. And even that does not clean. After going through the dealership service about this problem, I contacted Maytag. My final frustrated summary to the rep was that I understand that we bought a lemon, and you are not going to help us in any way. I just want to say to anyone considering a Maytag stove and oven, raise your standard. If you choose Maytag, you will only be disappointed. I am.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

This oven has been used so very seldom that I didn't feel I could rate it until now. We use the oven 1-2 times a week since purchasing it in March of 2018. There hadn't been any reason to use the Self Cleaning part of the oven until last week. I have had a oven with self-cleaning for 20 years and the oven went out so we purchased this one because of its sleek look and features. However last week I decided to use the self-cleaning setting on it and came home after being gone all day to find that the house smelled like it had a fire burning in it. I ran to the oven to find the whole inside cover in a white powdery substance. It looked like a snow blizzard had gone on inside of it. I was use to a small amount of white residue being inside the oven after it finished and it just wiped right up.

We spent hours vacuuming it out then scrubbing it down with vinegar water and a sponge with a scouring pad on it. The casserole spill was still on the bottom, most of the enamel is gone and the glass will not clean off. I did not use any chemicals in the oven prior to turning it to the self-clean mode, I believe that it overheated and burnt the enamel off and distorted the glass. Whirlpool offered to send me a cleaning kit. I told them that would do no good. I had already scrubbed and used a razor blade to try and clean the bottom and the glass and them sending me different cleaning supplies would not fix the fact that 80% of the inside protective coating on the oven is gone. Now it is a porous surface.

A Serviceman was scheduled and he called prior to arrival today and asked me to explain what was going on with my oven. I explained and he said I can almost guarantee that Whirlpool will say that it is cosmetic and they only cover cosmetic for 3 months and that I will have to pay for a $100.00 service call. This is a load of crap. This coating is part of the oven to keep it clean and protect the metal from the high heat of baking in it. This is not cosmetic feature like the outside stainless steel finish or the black trim decor. The inside doesn't look pretty. It is a function. See the photos below. Whirlpool Range Item # 805150. Model # WEE510S0FS.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I bought this stove thinking of the Maytag repair man commercial that was advertised on TV for washing machines. Apparently Maytag only knows how to make washing machines (I did not buy one of their washing machines after my experiments with their stove). From day one the oven door never closed right, the self cleaning oven device had to be replaced 3 times over the year after have a repairman tell me that they all fail. I stopped using the self cleaning feature. This stove has cost me so much in repairs.

The cook top is very very hard to clean. It always looks dirty. All the plastic knobs have melted off because the oven door never closed right. And the knobs are crazy expensive to replace as is just about everything on this stove. The oven temperature can not be trusted never cooked at the temperature it was set at. I paid a lot of money for this stove 10 years ago. And I am finally able to replace it thanks to a Christmas present from my 3 children. I love to cook and this stove made it difficult. My advice is to look for a different company when buying a kitchen stove. This Maytag has been nothing but trouble for me.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

We purchased this double-oven range (model: MGT8775XW01) about 5-6 years ago. It came with some slight bubbling on the plate that the control knobs go through/are mounted onto. A few years later, the bubbling paint began to chip/peel off - revealing rust (it's a white range). I bought some touch-up paint, but that didn't look very good. Now that entire plate is bubbling and peeling and makes the whole range look like crap. My wife swears we'll never buy another Maytag product...EVER! She's ripped! I can't seem to find the replacement part to purchase. Lousy products!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Purchased a Maytag range with Aqualift technology in 2013 thinking it was a good brand and *happy* to find a new way to self-clean my oven. This turns out to be nothing but a joke and I am not *happy* with it. After following directions to the letter, there is some loosening of anything on the floor of the oven, but the sides and top are slowly being coated with more and more grease.

I've spent way too much time with my head in the oven trying to scrub stuff without using a heavy duty cleaner but feel I now need to resort to Easy Off as there is no other way to get it clean. I also don't understand why they tell you to remove the racks since there obviously isn't enough "going on" to even clean the oven... How would the racks be damaged? And now I believe there is a problem with the Dual Choice element where I'm not able to turn the temperature down. Even turned back to the low setting, the pan cooks away like it's on high. I have to keep turning it off and then back on in an attempt to find something similar to 'medium' or 'low' heat. I'm so very disappointed in Maytag and feel this method of oven cleaning should never have been put on the market. It's a scam!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Whirlpool owns Maytag and it appears that selling poorly made products is now their focus. When I purchased this Maytag 30" Gemini double oven range, I thought I was buying a superior product. Now, I am on my 3rd repair. When would it fail, on Christmas Eve morning when I am trying to prepare dinner for 20 people who are coming for dinner party. I paid too much for this piece of junk. From now on, I am buying from the scratch and dent sale because there are no quality appliances manufactured today. Buy cheap and it won't irritate you so much because no one especially Whirlpool owned companies focus on quality.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

We have owned this range for a little over a year. Oven will not hold correct heat. Have temperature sensor replaced under warranty. Did not make any difference. You can adjust temperature up or down according to actual temperature readings, but the temperature swings so much that it is worthless to try. Very hard to get food baked right.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Purchased a Maytag Electric Range on Jan/9/2016 and delivered Jan 12/2016. To start the Aqua Steam clean is for the birds. Does not clean worth a darn. Model MER8600DH cost $823.33 and I thought this unit was awesome until December 2018. The oven makes loud bangs and it’s not metal contracting or whatever. I stopped using my oven. Tonight my top burner started snapping like an arc or short. Yup that’s it for me. I was thinking of buying a Maytag Gas Range as I was brought up on gas and I have a plumber coming this weekend to plumb for Natural Gas but after reading all the negativity on the gas ranges as well I absolutely will not be buying a Maytag now or ever! I expected more from Maytag. :(

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Oven is not even 2 yrs old but, the bottom oven floor lining is crackled & flaking. Although they say the cavity is covered under the 10 yr warranty, they say it's not covered. Basically told me there's nothing they can do for it. I bought all Maytag appliances for my new home because they claim they stand behind their product. The 10 yr plaques on the appliances are a joke. So disappoint.

Resolution response: Dec. 11, 2018

Angie from WFCC-PREFERRED APPLIANCE REPAIR had the wiring harness delivered to her personal address and then came out and installed it that same afternoon past 5pm to ensure I had a working stove. She explained what had happened with the parts delivery mixups and also delivered a $100 gift card. Very happy to have my range working and all has turned out well. I am a long time Maytag customer and it's great to have all my appliances back.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Bought and delivered on October 29, 2018. As soon as it was plugged in and a burner turned on a flame shot across the top and burned a hole in two burners. Maytag sent a repairman out who took the burners then delivered two new ones. Then the problems started. The repairman was unable to get a new wiring harness and after weeks of waiting I tried to get one from Maytag sent to me but they lie constantly. They tell you they sent it via 2 day FEDEX but when you ask for a tracking number they say they can't give one. Then when the part never arrives they claim FEDEX lost it and they are trying to locate another one in the warehouse but can give no details on when they will send it or if they even have it. All a delaying process.

I think they are afraid of a class action lawsuit/recall on this oven as I can think of no other reason for such AWFUL service. All my appliances are Maytag but this one item and completely destroyed my confidence in this brand since it is now Whirlpool in disguise. Worst purchasing experience of my life. Missed Thanksgiving - unable to cook. Had to throw away groceries. Still no hope in sight and it is now December and nothing but lies from this company. Oh, if you ask for a supervisor on their customer support number they tell you this exact quote "Because I am empowered to make decisions on behalf of Maytag, any resolution I can provide you would be Maytag's decision as a company." LOL. I have all the chat transcripts and you wouldn't believe how awful their customer service is.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

If I can rate the AquaLift Technology oven cleaning system that my Maytag oven has as a “Zero”, I would. This technology only removes some of the spills on the bottom of the oven. It does not clean the sides or top of the oven. I’m back to the olden days of using a lot of elbow grease to remove splatters and spills. They say you cannot use any cleaners in the oven either. At least with the old ovens you can spray an oven cleaner and wipe it clean. This product has taken us back before there were spray oven cleaners!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I thought I was safe in buying Maytag for all of my appliances in my new kitchen. I bought a double wall oven Maytag MEW6630DDS. I bought it in late 2010 and have had no issues until August of 2018. I rarely use the bottom but used it in August of this year to cook cupcakes. After baking them and leaving the kitchen for a short while I heard a loud explosive, shattering sound. I walked to the kitchen to see that the bottom oven door had shattered into a million pieces. Thank the good Lord that I was not near it. I contacted Maytag to see if there was a reason it would have done this. They said that there had not been a recall. They sent a repairman at no cost to look at it. He came, took it apart and had no reason for why it would have done this. He left it in pieces and said that he was ordering the replacement door. Maytag advised us to turn off the breaker to the oven.

After a month without ovens, the repairman called and said that the part had been discontinued. HA! You think?!? It has the potential to explode. It should have been recalled, not just discontinued. Maytag offered us 20% off a new set of $3000 wall ovens or $150 to pick ours up for disposal. Talk about saving the company money and screwing over the unlucky recipient of a defective product. They ought to be ashamed. I am going to have to replace the broken glass with aftermarket glass.

What is going to happen when I use the self cleaning option? What happens when the top door explodes. I am scared to use my very expensive wall ovens that I thought would last at least 10 years. Shaneka at Whirlpool said that people have appliances fail all the time and just have to buy replacements. Do all of them have to replace ovens because doors explode for no reason? I am not the only one this has happened to. I have found several other complaints of this on the internet. Why did they discontinue these door? I wonder.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

OK, I'm at wit's end. I bought a very expensive Maytag Gemini range four years ago. Since then, I have replaced 10 burner valves. There are only five of them. They have each been replaced twice, and tonight yet another has broken. This time it is broken in the ON position, which means I can't have the range on without that burner on. It means unplugging it when not in use and lighting the burner with a match when I re-plug the stove, until I get it fixed. I had just replaced valve number 10 on Tuesday, and had a fully working range for only 5 days. These valves are under warranty but the labor is not, and it is always close to $200 to have someone come out to replace them. I can't afford a new stove and I can't afford to keep having these defective valves replace.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I bought this range (Gemini Double gas range) in 2010 but was not installed in my house until 2011 due to time delays in kitchen re-model. I paid $1310.00. It was serviced 3 times once under warranty. About a year ago the igniter went in one of the ovens for the second time and one of the stove burners wouldn't light. Since the other oven and 3 other burners worked we didn't call for repair, then a second burner stopped working and we called our Maytag dealer. 2 different service techs came one with more experience and both said the same thing the stove wasn't worth fixing due to cost of parts. One of the problems was the screws in the burners couldn't be removed due to rust and deterioration of the screws. They would break and cost other components also to be needed. So after 7 years of use and already having repairs done I have to buy a new stove. It will not be a Maytag.

I also bought a top of the line Maytag dishwasher and one month past the 5 year warranty the electronic panel burned out. After calling Maytag and complaining they did agree to pay for the part close to $300 but I still paid for labor. When I looked at reviews for the oven before purchasing they weren't too good but wanted a double oven at the time and always had good luck with Maytag in the past. I thought buying a higher priced model would be better quality. Not so. After calling Maytag today the best they could offer was to buy an extended warranty for $380, I declined. My advice - Listen to the reviews. The Maytag repairman isn't sitting around idly anymore!

Original review: June 3, 2018

This is my first convection oven. It is a double oven and I am hooked for life. I love the smooth top and use the convection daily. The only small issue I have is that the touch buttons on the range are on the harder side to push. But other than that, I have owned this for 5 years or more and would only get the same type again if I had too.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Purchased Maytag Double Range MGT8720DH00 in March 2015. Within 2 months had to call gas company due to leak and service came out to fix it. Now anytime my house is closed up during a vacation or extended period away I come home to a locked range with a warning message to check to make sure that the knobs are off. Had gas company (who also called fire department) to come out tonight after returning from vacation with same issue again. They tested and said CO2 was ok, but to check reviews for similar ranges and I have seen repeated issues in reviews for Maytag products. The firemen all commented when they saw that it was a Maytag so it seemed like they have seen these issues before. Very scary to think we could be exposed to a constant low level gas leak in our home. Keeping windows open at all times is not a realistic option.

Original review: May 17, 2018

18 month old range did not shut off although it showed off on the cancel page. $800 down the toilet. Maytag had the guts to charge $100 to troubleshoot plus parts and labor. I will donate it to scrap metal. Company does not give a rat's behind. DO NOT BUY MAYTAG.

Original review: May 11, 2018

CONSUMER BEWARE: Maytag is the WORST corporation to deal with. We have purchased a Maytag range from them recently. Unfortunately we have had 4 appliances delivered to us damaged from Maytag. The fourth time around we finally got a supervisor on the line. In order to expedite the situation. And the supervisor (Frank) refused to expedite or even call to try and move up the 5th delivery date. All he talked about was Maytag company policies to us. To make a long story short and I do mean long. Buyers beware. Maytag DOES NOT HOLD THEMSELVES ACCOUNTABLE FOR ANYTHING. Once the appliance leaves their facility they are not responsible for it. I CAN'T SAY THIS ENOUGH. DON'T PURCHASE MAYTAG PRODUCTS.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Stove does not heat evenly in oven. Electric burner cannot be turned down to low or simmer, then it will not cook at all. Other burner turned down to low does not stop bubbling and stays at a high temp. There is no consistency. I am extremely disappointed and curse at this stove every day. Model #MER7664XB. Serial #R13316302.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

My Daughter got me a Maytag oven with the AquaLift technology and is a piece of Junk. Half the time the Water is still there when the cycle is over. The water has made it between the front glass pieces and the finish on the top of the stove looks horrible, it just looks dirty. The knobs are cheap and the fake chrome finish is flaking off. Unfortunately I'm stuck with it because I can't afford a new one... this was a gift to me because I'm disabled and it was to make my life easier.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

My Maytag AquaLift Range MGR8880AS0 was given to me in September 2014. While the range top was excellent and gave me no problem, the so-called "self-cleaning" is a total joke. I do not do a lot of grease baking or broiling so I have not needed to clean the oven only twice. The first time was a total surprising astonishment. When I opened the oven immediately after the cycle was completed, the oven was not even 350 degrees, most of the water was still in the oven! This happened shortly after a family crisis (my husband became ill and died), so I did not do any inquiries regarding the cleaning failure. Today, January 24, 2018 I decided I would do my second cleaning. Wow, it was a total and complete failure. The oven was barely warm.

I always had a Maytag washer, way back in the 1970/1980. My four children grew up with the Maytag, So, I think when one of my children decided to gift me with a new range after a change in location, the Maytag name was at the top of the list. Unfortunately, in 2014 Maytag was no longer what it had been way back in the "olden days." The name Maytag does not stand for what it used to stand. End of my story. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to get this off my chest. Since this was a gift, I do not have a receipt. However, I have an insurance renewal due advice (coverage expires 05/24/2018).

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

The ceramic coating on the interior of the oven cavity in the top oven, which I use the most (may actually happen to the lower oven in time) has cracked in the exact pattern of the hidden element. When I spoke to the salesperson at the store, he wasn't surprised and said that it will eventually bubble and rust!!! Called customer service and was informed they consider this an aesthetic issue with no fix!!! They will not offer any remedy or compensation. Are you kidding me!!!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I purchased a Maytag Gemini April 22 2017 and I am very unhappy with it. The ovens are not working properly. I have thrown away so much food because the ovens won’t hold temperature. The display says it’s the temp. I set it but the temp keeps dropping and rising causing the bottom and top to burn and inside not to cook. Both ovens are doing it. Had a repairman come day before Christmas. He said there is nothing wrong. He said set temp, when preheat beep goes off wait 15 minutes for it to cycle then insert food. I tried this Christmas Day. Oven is still not working and again I threw away more food. I am so disappointed in Maytag. Serviceman is set up again to come out next week. I think I got a lemon. Please. I think they should replace the whole range. It’s not fair. I paid so much for this range and can’t use it.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

We finished a kitchen tear out and full remodeling. From top to bottom adding the Maytag double oven insert into our cabinets. We checked out reviews and MANY stated that the oven's fans were LOUD! But we've had them now for 4 months and the reviews do NOT give an accurate account in my opinion. My wife loves using the ovens for all sorts of cooking and baking projects and the units are NOT LOUD at all. You'd have thought from what we read about the ovens that we were making a bad purchase but that's not the case. Quiet, even cooking and a GREAT PURCHASE. If your ovens are loud when cooling something must be wrong! Or maybe we got LUCKY!? I don't think that's the case at all but then I haven't used other's ovens only ours and we are pleased!!! 5 STAR for sure.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Such a horrible and expensive kitchen purchase. The stainless looking pieces are either fake or very poor quality - they scratch so easily. After the first year of use the top of the stove looked like it was 30 years old. The oven glass is extremely hard to get at to clean - you have to remove very finicky screws that don't go back into place easily. Oven temp is questionable and it takes a very long time to heat up. I would never recommend the Maytag Gemini oven to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Purchased the Maytag Aqualift self-cleaning oven and this feature doesn't work at all. I would have never have made this purchase if I knew the oven would not self clean. This technology with the water in the bottom to self clean is pathetic! I thought maybe it wasn't working and called for a repair since it was under warranty. The service man told me not to expect it to clean like a regular self-cleaning oven. But I complained that it did nothing at all! So now I have a self-cleaning oven that I have to clean myself!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I purchased a gas range from Lowe's - Maytag- Model #MGR8880AS in 2012. The range has been repaired on multiple occasions 11/2016; 3/2017; 5/2017. All three times they replaced the igniter and burner. On one occasion they replaced the computer board as well. (Each time they have informed me that this part was a recalled problem and under warranty). The stove is now out of warranty and having same issue. The stove fills with gas and the igniter does not ignite and does so intermittently. Maytag only wants to send repair company out at my expense. They need to replace the stove, because someone somewhere will die because of their product. I will purchase a new stove and not from Maytag. (All my appliances are Maytag). I also have a copy of my receipt and will provide if needed; I used my extended warranty through Lowe's each time. I urge everyone not to purchase Maytag appliances.

Maytag expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Maytag is the oldest home appliance manufacturer still operating in the U.S. and was founded in 1893. It produced its earliest cooking appliances in the early 1980s, marking its first serious foray into home products unrelated to cleaning.

• Flexible styling: Maytag maintains consistent styling across its product lines and even across product generations, making it easy to design a kitchen around them.

• Fitting tools: Maytag offers a variety of tools to help buyers find appliances to fit their available space.

• Innovative appliance layouts: Maytag offers multiple units that allow users to increase their cooking space without making the overall appliance larger.

• Compact options: Maytag's extensive choices for single cooktops and compact appliances make it a good fit for buyers with little space in their kitchen.

• Length of warranty: Maytag's 10-year warranty is one of the longest in the industry and usually includes easy scheduling of in-home visits from the iconic "Maytag Repairman."

• Best for: Users cooking for one and users cooking for families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs