KitchenAid Refrigerators

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

About KitchenAid Refrigerators

KitchenAid designs and sells dozens of refrigerators and freezers. Options include side-by-side refrigerator and freezer combos and french door refrigerators. Free-standing and built-in refrigerators are available in a variety of sizes and colors. KitchenAid offers financing for refrigerators and freezers, and it also sells wine cellars and ice makers.

Pros

• Multiple looks, models and styles
  • Fridges for every budget
  • High-tech temperature control

Cons

• Higher prices than similar brands
  • Lacks some high-tech options

Bottom Line

KitchenAid has been a trusted and reliable home appliance company for decades. It offers innovative and sleek refrigerators in a variety of styles.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

KitchenAid Refrigerators Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid Refrigerators?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid Refrigerator?

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

Save yourself the frustration and do not buy this fridge brand. I wish I know what I knew back in 2020. I bought my KitchenAid fridge in November of 2020 and have had it repaired at least 13 times. I’m so frustrated! The guy that fixes it is frustrated, but they won’t replace the fridge until it’s deemed irreparable. I’ve had to wait months to fix issues with this fridge. Reoccurring issues include ice maker, freezer not freezing, fridge not cooling. I just called warranty again to tell them that my ice maker is not making ice. A technician won’t be here until end of August. It’s summer and I can’t even enjoy ice. Annoyingly frustrated.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

Last year I bought a KitchenAid French door refrigerator. The fridge itself seemed to be well designed and I was impressed with its features. Recently, after the 12 month warranty expired, I noticed that ice cream stored in the freezer was soft. I placed a thermometer in the freezer and found that the temperatures ranged from -10C to -13C (14F to 9F). This is much higher than the -18C (0F) set point that I chose. It seems that there is a serious problem with the freezer or the thermostat. The appliance repair technician was unable to fix the problem with the first call.

I had to reschedule a second appointment where Whirlpool/KitchenAid gave me a service window for the afternoon. Unfortunately the appliance repair man called me in the morning to say that he would be coming in a half hour. I was out of the house at the time expecting him to arrive within the agreed-upon window. As a result I now have to wait for a third service call to fix the fridge. Given my experience with them, I would never recommend a Whirlpool/KitchenAid appliance to anyone. I still don't know if they will actually fix the problem or give me another excuse. Stay tuned. Tip for consumers: In reviews, look for themes (e.g. poor service). In this case, most reviews I've seen have criticized the service. My experience confirms the abysmal service to be expected from Whirlpool/KitchenAid.

Original review: July 27, 2022

We just purchased a new KitchenAid refrigerator $2560.00. The freezer is not working properly, there is ice accumulation in the freezer to the point where it is difficult to open the compartment door. The refrigeration in the fridge section is sporadic, some days it freezes the food that is at the rear and other times it's not cool enough. What a disappointment. One expects for a new expensive purchase to work properly for years, then I found out that KitchenAid is owned by Whirlpool. Every product owned by Whirlpool I have bought in the past has been problematic. I purchased a Whirlpool washer and after 2 years it is practically falling apart, the paint is chipping off and I've had to replace numerous parts to keep it working. Basically junk. Don't buy anything owned by Whirlpool.

Original review: July 22, 2022

For the first time ever, I purchased a refrigerator without doing extensive research first. I was trying to match my kitchen and other appliances and this one seemed the best option at the time. It was also the most expensive refrigerator I have ever purchased at $4,400 in Aug 2020 I believe. Within a week of receiving the refrigerator it was leaking from the ice machine and not keeping the freezer items frozen. Being under warranty, KitchenAid, replaced a $500 part. One week after my warranty ran out the same thing was happening and I was going to have to replace it myself at $500.

So for the last 6 - 9 months we have been resetting the refrigerator at our fuse box when it abruptly goes out. We no long use the freezer or ice maker as it is not reliable. It is a tough pill to swallow that we need to purchase a new refrigerator and see if we can sell this to a repair shop. I will never purchase from Kitchen Aid because of this bad “lemon” refrigerator experience. They and their refrigerators are very poor.

Original review: July 21, 2022

We have had this refrigerator less than 6 years and it has been serviced 9 times. It seems to stop cooling on a regular basis, and almost every major component has been replaced - the motherboard, compressor, fan, etc. What else is left to replace? It has probably cost as much in repairs as the item cost to purchase. Do not buy this appliance. You will regret it, as I do. If someone from Kitchen Aid/Whirlpool is reading this, please text me. Or call me. Your company has my phone number.

Original review: July 9, 2022

Bought all new KitchenAid appliances when our kitchen was remodeled in 2019. In less than three years, repair companies have been called twice to diagnosis the issues with our refrigerator--Model # KRFC604FSS. The first issue after two years of usage, the ice maker was leaking. A few months later, the fridge is not cooling due to the control board needs to be replaced. When KitchenAid was contacted, we were told that it takes 8 weeks for parts and have to use their contracted vendor. We have to get a new refrigerator after just three years, and it is not going to KitchenAid.

Original review: July 6, 2022

When you spend $3000 or more for a refrigerator, it should work for more than 2 1/2 years. When a company knows about a problem, they should help to fix it. There are dozens of reports on the internet for the same problem. The refrigerator side stops cooling with ice building up at the bottom. KitchenAid has discontinued this model and others. They show only one model of freestanding refrigerator as in stock on their website. Could it be because they can't sell defective models? If you ask them for help, they reply with quotes from the warranty. The message is "Tough luck. You're on your own" instead of "We know about the problem and will fix it." Obviously, I will not be buying KitchenAid in the future.

Original review: May 17, 2022

The fridge made lots of noise from day one. When I open its door I had to wait one minute before I can open it again. I called K.A. a technician came in, changed a part but nothing changed, plus the fridge started letting out a very bad smell. Called Kitchen Aid again and asked if they could send a person that had taken the COVID vaccine. They told me no because they cannot ask their employees if they had done so. I waited until April of this year to bring someone to take a look at the problems. K.A. told me the that I had to pay for someone to come back to my house.

The first repair person came in twice and could not fix the problem. The company sent a second repair person that told me that there was not a problem. That the smell was coming from my food, the sticking door means that the seal is working well. Asked why I did not have extra warranty on my appliances. Then disabled my oven and dishwasher, told me to restart them and left. I called Kitchen Aid Canada, they refuse to do anything about it. I called the company that send the repairman in several times and they blocked my phone off.

Original review: May 5, 2022

Repairman came and after checking everything he determined that the three main cooling parts were defective and recommended a total replacement of my refrigerator as it was only 30 days old. Whirlpool said, "Absolutely not. We are only required to repair." All the parts needed are on back order. The company reps have all said there is nothing they will do. I am out 3 days pay. I lost approx 1000 dollars in food that spoiled and have no refrigerator till the parts come in. This is unacceptable as I need to keep insulin cold. Everyone I spoke with said not their problem. Take it up with Home Depot. I will never buy or recommend anything made by Kitchen Aid or Whirlpool. They do not stand by their products and service and support are the worst

Original review: April 12, 2022

Refrigerator is less than 5 years old and Kitchenaid promised to cover the parts and when the repairman got here, they refused to cover it. Same part broke two times two years apart and $4000 fridge and Kitchenaid is saying, "Tough luck lady, you pay over $500 for repair." Kitchenaid appliances are money pits. JUNK.

Original review: April 2, 2022

Very disappointed with Kitchen Aid refrigerator quality. This is 2nd one. First one was replaced by Kitchen Aid after many attempts at repair. The ice maker spewed out water into refrigerator trays, water dispenser not working properly, pathetic (not wholly formed) looking ice cubes, ice buildup around ice cube dispenser chute and under ice maker. This one has similar ice maker problems as first except water dispenser works and water doesn't spew from ice maker to same degree as first refrigerator. Now after 2 years the LED lights on the top and in the freezer compartment have gone out except for one dot in the middle of each light set. After replacing the freezer light without fixing the problem, authorized repairman thinks a new computer board at over $1,000 MAY fix the problem. Refrigerator costing over 3 grand needs 1 grand repair after less than 3 years of residential use. Spend your money elsewhere.

Original review: March 21, 2022

Bought a KitchenAid refrigerator and the freezer handle has been falling off since I bought it. Customer service told me it’s not their problem to fix!!! Don’t buy kitchen aid. They don’t stand by their defective products.

Original review: March 16, 2022

At 9 months needed ice maker replaced. Now at just over a year it bangs like someone is hitting the pipes with a hammer. Kitchen aid repair can't find the reason so kitchen aid says, "The fridge works so sorry about your luck." Would expect better for a 4000 dollar fridge. Don't buy.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

My KRFC704FPS Counter-Depth refrigerator has had issues since day one. I should have returned in within the 15 day window to Best Buy. It is super noisy and can be heard as far away as the 2nd floor of my home. The freezer temp won't go any higher than -7 degrees on a thermometer and that is with a setting of 5 degrees. I have a super accurate electronic thermometer in the freezer and it can get as low as -20 degrees. If I set it lower than 5 it can get colder. The refrigerator section has to stay at 39 degrees of food starts freezing.

KA has been out 3 times for the issue and they won't help. The techs even brought their own thermometers and it states the same. Their only fix is to turn off the ice maker. I paid $4k for a refrigerator and they won't stand behind it. Also, the seal is tearing and water pools up and freezes in the bottom of the freezer. I have had it for 11 months. Every time the tech comes out he says there are issues, but KA won't do anything but say it is normal. I have all KA appliances too.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

KitchenAid 23.8 cu. ft. Counter-Depth French-Door Refrigerator with PrintShield Finish, Stainless Steel: bought May 2021 for $3999.99. My New Kitchen aid fridge is constantly on 50 degrees Celsius, Freezer way below -10, ice takes forever to make, there is a buzz noise. I scheduled a technical support for review and he confirmed all the problems and he said I will need a computer part replaced. I do not have any follow up email or call on my problem the technician confirmed. Calling customer service is just useless...they do not have any status on the part that was ordered or have any interest in help. I want this fridge replaced. Food is constantly getting spoilt and I cannot use this expensive junk. I just wish Kitchenaid will review my complaint and replace my fridge.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

We purchased a Kitchen Aid counter-depth refrigerator in July 2021. By September it stopped working and has been inoperable since (4 months later). We have had 7 service appointments during this time; each time the technician assured us the issue was repaired but the fridge never got below 76 degrees. We requested a replacement refrigerator several times but were told the warranty would only cover repairs and we were locked into using their repair service provider. I don't know any other business that could take a customer's money (almost $2,500) and deprive them of a working product. If I tried their approach with my company's clients, I would be sued or out of business or both. Horrible experience.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

My 4 yr old $4500 refrigerator went out and lost food twice in it and Kitchenaid has been horrible, they don’t want to compensate in any way and don’t care that you're with a refrigerator. They leave you on hold for hours.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

This refrigerator has been in use since 2007 and I have not has any problems with it. The ice maker works perfectly, the temperature controls and meter for the filter works great. I have the stainless steel side by side cabinet depth model with ice and water in the left hand freezer door. I am very happy with my refrigerator.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

Less than 5 years old. Paid $4200. KitchenAid model krfc704fbs00. Design flaw where ice builds up behind the plastic backing. They removed the defroster unit to cut power and as ice builds up the unit fails. No access to consumer. Nothing that can be done. Ours was the first release (called Bella 1) and they are now on v3. The software for ours was 4.xx and they are now at 7.xx. No recall notices. No offered software updates. Repair bill is almost $900 of which over 1/2 is parts (to replace the control board and software). Whirlpool refuses to do anything. We spent over $16k on a whole kitchenaid setup to have early failure.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

We moved into a custom built home and selected a KitchenAid refrigerator/freezer, wall oven, microwave, stove/oven combo, and two dishwashers. It’s been 2.5 years and every single appliance has had issues except one dishwasher. The refrigerator/freezer is the worst of all. First it was the ice maker, then it was the ice maker door, then it was the motor, and now the water line to the ice maker is dripping. The wood floor in front on the freezer is now ruined from all the leaks. We’ve had a repair guy out at least 5 times already and I'm going to have to call them out again to fix this new issue.

If you're wondering about the other appliances: the microwave sensor for the door is faulty. The bulb went out in one year (probably because the light stays on when it thinks the door is open) and a service person had to remove the entire wall unit to replace a $3 bulb. Also, occasionally when we press start, it does this weird halfway come on thing… They said to just restart it.

The stovetop does not regulate heat well. Low and medium flames on the medium sized eyes are exactly the same. Low boils over every time. The repair guy said, “The flame is not changing but the heat is.” Really?? Because it’s really not. We’ve learned to utilize the space between ignite and high to better control heat. I shouldn't have to implement tricks for it to act right. Also, when I put the small eye on low, it often causes the ignitor on eyes next to it to continually tick. If it doesn't do it every time, they can't fix that either. The repair guy has been out twice for the stove.

One of the dishwashers does a pretty terrible job of cleaning… not sure why but I'm going to have the service guy look at that when he comes for the freezer leak. KitchenAid small appliances are awesome. Their major appliances are not. It seems in the last couple of years, the quality has gone down quite a bit. If you choose to buy their major appliances anyway, get the extended service plan; you’re going to need it.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

We purchased a very high end Kitchenaid refrigerator. Due to a design flaw (admitted by company as settlement decided upon) we incurred property damage. Due to the Global pandemic parts are hard to come by. Completely understandable. Not the company's fault. Once parts became available the issues with the service department started. We would have to wait online for literally hours at a time in order to speak with someone having to explain our story again and again. No direct number to call. And every time feeling like we were the bad guy. Feeling like we were trying to cheat the system. No one was willing to help us. They would just push us from department to department, manager to manager (never actually speaking with a manager). No one ever making a decision.

Ultimately, problem being we live in a small community with limited access to service providers. We live over three hours from a large center. And we’re left on our own to find our own service provider. After we found a service provider Whirlpool would not approve the service provider because it was only one service man. They would only approve a company that had two or more service providers because the refrigerator was too big for one person. When we offered to hire a third-party they refused so we had zero opportunities to have our new refrigerator fixed. After hours and hours on hold and fighting just to get a refrigerator fixed they finally agreed to fix it for the amount that they had originally agreed to and then change their mind but would not send any kind of documentation stating this. So now we have to pay out of pocket hoping that when we submit the paid invoice that they will reimburse us.

When asked what the turnaround time for repayment was I was told minimum four weeks. Moral of the story if you live in a small community away from a big service area you will not get your refrigerator fixed without having to pay some out-of-pocket expense. In our experience nothing last forever so if you think you’re going to phone and get warranty you’re wrong so maybe think twice.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

We purchased the refrigerator and soon after few months we started getting over temperature issues. We contacted them but they would say it is repairable and the Dan Marc company folks would come (4 times already) and still not fixed. I have a 5 year old at home and have food products which can go bad. The issue is still unresolved and it’s only a year now that we have this faulty appliance. They decline to replace it!!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

After 3 years of ownership, I will likely never buy KitchenAid Appliances again. I thought I was upgrading from GE that I never had issues with. KitchenAid full kitchen remodel in 2019 has left me with frustration in ownership.

Refrigerator:
- Wasted use of space, specifically, get rid of the full-width deli drawer. You must open both French doors to access and it occupies valuable space for tall items that are used every day.
- Shelves stop short of meeting the back of the refrigerator (1/2" or more) causing bottles and cans (water, beer, ...) to slip into the space and topple over.
- Putting beverages in the door compartments is not sufficient (qty) and they have a tendency to topple out.

- Freezer (bottom) does not pull out evenly and the divider is not moveable to accommodate common items like pizza or a large turkey. Had one incident of freezer accumulating ice coverage. See this as a common complaint.

Microwave: Handle gets very hot to touch as it is positioned over the stove. Didn't know I needed pot holders to open the Microwave!

Dishwasher: Cycle is excessively long. Can't imagine it is more efficient than a shorter cycle.

Gas Range: Fittings on burners have a "gravity" fit which can easily slip off base. The variation of burner sizes is stupid. I can only use one burner to produce medium and flexible heat. The largest burner is too hot and the flame too wide. The smaller burners at the back of the stove are hard to reach for stirring slow cooking items.

I have tried to submit design suggestions to KitchenAid and their website does not provide on-line communication. I guess the dozen or so people in charge of design don't want consumer feedback. As a former product designer I feel my comments have value, so do other consumers. The options at retail are all similar, but I will definitely take this negative experience with KitchenAid products to scrutinize my next major appliance purchase.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

I am completely surprised that after spending $2500.00 on a refrigerator, that functions well and initially looked great, am now, after less than a year into owning this refrigerator, now has rust spots all over the refrigerator doors. These rust spots initially started as pin-head size but now are growing larger and more numerous. After I was able to get hold of customer service who finally routed me to the correct person (after quite a bit of time on hold), I shared with this person what my issues were. He explained to me that this happens and that there was nothing he could do about it. I continually pushed him on this issue explaining that it made no sense for a top/high end brand to have issues like this.

He eventually conceded and said that he would ship all three doors and that I should schedule a time with my local KitchenAid service techs. He then said that if this occurred again that he would not be sending a new set of doors and that, "this was it, no more". When the service tech showed up he explained that this always happens with this refrigerator and to be prepared for it to happen again. This is ridiculous. I would be fine if this was a "one time thing", but to told by not only the local service technician but the KitchenAid customer service rep. as well, that this is something that, just "happens" is absurd.

In addition to this, it took 90 days for the doors to arrive and after they did, it was found that they sent in two left doors! I have now been informed that I will have to wait 60 days for the right door. The local service rep that KitchenAid directed me to, did a poor job of installing the doors that I did receive, they were not aligned, the gasket was "stuffed" into the door so that there was heat exchange from the outside causing an improper seal so that moisture began to collect along the seams. ALSO, the door that they did send had a torn (or cut) gasket. Again, this is ridiculous that such a high end brand would affiliate with poor field techs, and send damaged product. I'm beside myself and at a loss.

I'd say, if you are thinking of purchasing this product, STEER CLEAR. Due to my experience with KitchenAid's customer service and the my experience with this particular product, I will NOT be purchasing any product from KitchenAid, and will do my best to dissuade others from doing the same. Let me add that I am using the manufactures suggested cleaning product. The KitchenAid rep initially tried to suggest that the rust spots were due to me and improper care and cleaning.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

This KitchenAid refrigerator requires constant repairs... several times a year. It is only two years old... All of the parts in the refrigerator have been replaced now... it worked for a few months and now it's broken again and we have been waiting for weeks for parts. Using the refrigerator as an icebox. Changing ice bags twice a day. I am done with this thing.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

We purchased a Kitchen Aid Refrigerator (Model KRFF507ESS, 27 cu. ft, French door with ice/water machine) and in the 4 years we've had it, we've spent almost 50% of the purchase price (close to $1300) on repairs. This model has a documented problem with the "frozen fresh food evaporator" - Google the issue and you'll find numerous customer complaints about this very issue. Most recently, the ice maker stopped working and we were told it'd be an additional $455 of repair. The authorized service repairman in our area (whom we've gotten to know due to the ongoing repair issues) even commented during this most recent visit that the KitchenAid models he's serviced last, on average, 8 years.

When I explained the situation to KitchenAid Customer Service this afternoon, they offered to "schedule a non-warranty service" for me (i.e., something I could literally do by picking up the phone myself). After being transferred to a KitchenAid supervisor, I was then told that they'd offer me a 40% discount off a brand new product. After spending almost $1300 on a $2600 refrigerator! AS IF. We will never purchase KitchenAid again. We thought we were purchasing a quality product and it's been nothing but a lemon, requiring costly repair after costly repair. We take impeccable care of all appliances/products, which is what made this situation all the more frustrating. Folks, be sure you purchase those extended warranties! You will need them with your KitchenAid refrigerator!!!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

I’ve had the cooktop, oven, dishwasher, refrigerator, and microwave for three years. THREE YEARS!!! The refrigerator stopped cooling. The next day the freezer stopped freezing. We waited five weeks for the one and only repair company in our area, Guinco, to come out. Was told that a part, which was no longer under warranty $507, had malfunctioned. Waited another four weeks for the part to come in. When the part arrived they put it on and then discovered the condenser, which thankfully is under warranty, $1,000+, was no good. So now we’re having to wait another six weeks for the new condenser. Practically four months. That is totally absurd.

Why they feel only one company in my state is authorized to work on these substandard appliances, I don’t know. Luckily we have an older refrigerator in the garage. My husband went out and bought a portable ice maker, also. I read on the website that Kitchenaid/Whirlpool products can last between 15-17 years. If that’s the case for the “few” products that do not last longer than three years, it should be an automatic replacement. That would be excellent customer service. Do not buy this product. Run, do not pass. Go as far away from this cheap as heck product. The product “looks” fabulous but it’s all a delusion. Again, RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN FROM THIS CRAP PRODUCT.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

We purchased four KitchenAid items for our kitchen to receive a $600 rebate. Our reseller showed us the KitchenAid screen where all items were available for deliver in less than 30 days. This was a condition of our purchase. That was 04/01/2021. They delivered our oven and microwave and dishwasher. They never delivered our refridge nor wine cooler. They now claim end of the year. Our sales rep indicates maybe even later since the manufacturer reps come and go and KitchenAid changes its mind on deliveries. I called them and asked if we could pay a little more and pick them up IN STOCK at Best Buy and still get our $600 rebate. They refused. They are making us wait for an unreliable delivery date. They misrepresented the purchase. I saw the manufactures computer screen that said they would deliver. DO NOT BUY from whirlpool or KitchenAid since they will rob from you and not give you any rebates. In addition, they will not live up to their delivery dates even on their own computer system.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Our brand new KitchenAid fridge has malfunctioned since we received it. Instead of replacing, Kitchenaid forced us to go through Lake Appliance repair for service. 10 visits and multiple replacement parts later, still malfunctioning. Kitchenaid customer service is MIA and designed to prevent customers from reaching them. The repair guys can get through easily, and in fact are told not to talk in front of the end customer. Our 1 year warranty expires next month, so we had to buy extended since the unit still is not functioning properly. The unit was very expensive and “American-made.” Do not buy from this company. They are terrible units, they don’t give you choice of service companies, and the company is entirely apathetic to your family’s health and investment.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I bought a KitchenAid refrigerator in July last year. Less than two months ago, the refrigerating compartment did not work properly. Reno Appliance changed to a new refrigerator. However, the same problem occurred in the new refrigerator before a year, and it has not been fixed until two months after reporting the problem. Kitchen Aid is the worst brand.

KitchenAid Refrigerators Company Information