2. Homeowners
  3. Vacuum Cleaners

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.42/5

IRobot is a technology company that specializes in autonomous robots that clean inside and outside the home. Designed with ease and performance in mind, their products include four Roomba vacuum models, two Braava mops and the Mirra pool cleaner.

iRobot Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about iRobot?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about iRobot?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I have an older model and, in the past, I spent hours every couple of months trying to get it running consistently. I eventually gave up - until I retired. I thought I might now have the time to spend to get it running again... I was encouraged to see a statement on the iRobot opening screen about lifetime support for their products. Not true as they claim I need a new battery but that the battery is not made any longer - so I would have to buy a new machine. Not going to happen!!!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

I purchased IRobot's top of the line vacuum (S9 Series that empties the bin itself) on Nov 27 2020. It did not work right away. Their call in support line is good but all they do is STRING you along - BEWARE of this. They said they would send out a part to fix it - they sent a cheaper vacuum instead. I immediately asked for a full refund and I followed their refund policies 100%. I have sent both vacuums back - thank goodness I have the tracking numbers. It is now Feb 11th 2021 and when I called last week they said they can see my e-mail but my file is totally empty/inaccessible?? I asked for a supervisor callback and they said within 3 business days - it is now 4 business days and no callback. Scam company if you have issues - BUYER BEWARE.

Get buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

I had ordered a Roomba 675 from iRobot online, on 30th November 2020. The next day I saw one available at Costco, bought that unit and called iRobot to cancel my online order. iRobot informed me that they could not cancel my online order but asked me to return the item as soon as I received it from their warehouse and that I would be issued a refund. I returned the item unopened, the very day I received it from the warehouse; in fact within a few hours of receipt of the item. iRobot acknowledged that the item was received.

According to iRobot the refund process can takes up to 30 days. Despite multiple emails and multiple phone calls, it has now been over 2 months since the item was returned. One representative claimed that the refund was processed but that PayPal was holding my money. PayPal has rejected this contention. When I took it back up with another representative at iRobot, he claimed that he could see no indication that the refund was processed and that he would inform his higher authorities about it!! Still no response or refund from iRobot. It is my belief that iRobot does not intend to refund me my payment and are leading me on a wild goose chase. I am so frustrated with dealing with iRobot that I am giving up and will accept the loss of my monies.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

iRobot used to be the best support on the planet... Today they don't want to honor warranties by making customers "prove" device is bad before issuing an RMA return! iRobot no longer accepts basic troubleshooting before returns. They require VIDEO of robot and pictures of defect. On top of proof of purchase! Issue is website does not allow MP4 MOV or any other video format uploads and email attachment size is too big. You must make video online access-able i.e. Youtube and send them a video link. Right?!!! ** iRobot is banking on majority throwing in the trash. TOO MUCH TROUBLE to replace a $199 device! Very bad business practices.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

On December 12, 2020, I ordered the iRobot as a Christmas gift and when I checked to see the status of the order was being shipped it indicated that the order was on backorder. Therefore, on December 16, 2020 I called customer service to cancel the order as it was not going to reach here in time. The ticket number I was given is **. At the time of my call I was assured that the order was cancelled. I did not at the time of this call get charged for the order on my credit card. After cancelling my order with IRobot on December 16, 2020, I attended at Canadian Tire and purchased the Roomba i7 for $903 including taxes, and I have the receipt to prove that I purchased. The gift is still with my family.

On December 23, 2020 at 12:17 pm Purolator delivered the package at my doorstep, they did not knock on my door nor did they take a picture to show that the package was delivered. Right after Purolator dropped off the package at 12:20 pm a white four door Mercedes came and took all of the packages left at my door step. To confirm in this email I reside at **.

I would not have even known that the package was delivered it is only because I had ordered other items from Amazon. As you may know, when Amazon delivers packages they send you a notification that the items you ordered were delivered. So when I received said notification I was alarmed because when I returned home that day there was nothing at my doorstep. I then checked my home surveillance cameras and unbeknownst to me three packages which included two items from Amazon and a huge box labelled IROBOT was left by the purolator driver and then stolen by a civilian.

After my claim to customer service with iRobot to advise them of this situation the representative could not explain nor did he/she understand why they even shipped the product out if I cancelled the order. As well, shortly after making the claim I was then charged, without authorization from your company for the product which was cancelled on December 16, 2020. I should not have to deal with this hassle of having to reverse the charge which was cancelled and therefore the product should not have left iRobot’s warehouse.

I have filed a complaint with Peel Regional Police – the incident report number is **. They have copies my home surveillance which shows the package being delivered and then immediately stolen. Purolator has also launched an investigation and therefore we feel that your company should also launch an investigation into why the package was first off even delivered to my residence and then secondly why the package was left at my doorstep without a signature required.

If I had to write a review about my experience with iRobot I would rate the customer service with the representatives that I dealt with during this whole ordeal I would rate them 10 out of 10, because they have been very helpful and understanding; however, they were limited in their ability to take further action. This is why I feel that iRobot should take the next step into solving this issue which should have been avoided in the first place my order, as stated above, was cancelled on December 16, 2020. Now I am having to dispute the charge that was never supposed to be placed on my credit card with the credit card company.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I purchased the iRobot to reduce the amount of sand in our home as we live in Florida. The product worked great...for a while. At approximately 1year from purchase, I noticed the iRobot was not cleaning all rooms. I wanted to "remap" the iRobot but, am unable to do so. The only way I am able to get the iRobot to clean missed rooms is to "block in" the area and actually "force" the iRobot into this area. I was told that items that would cause disruption would eventually cause the iRobot to do this. Doesn't help with the cleaning app that I used to start the iRobot while I am offsite. If a shoe, a rug or any other item knocks the iRobot off its course... after a while, the paths will change. Summary: I paid $200+ for a cleaning tool that actually lasted 1 year. Don't buy this product unless you do a lot of investigation into the remapping processes of your model.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

We have used an old 500 series iRobot to clean our downstairs area overnight for many years. It worked perfectly. On the basis of our experience we decided to upgrade to a new 976 model. There are serious problems. The 976 will not work during the night. Worse still there is nothing in the sales literature to warn you of this. Unlike competitor products that work at night, the new iRobots such as the 900 series and Roomba® i7+ and i7, ones that use a camera are.... not fit for purpose.

As stated by customer service. These iRobot vacuum cleaners need "The level of light must be close to the natural one that the robot gets in the day" and "You need something that would shine onto the floors". So if you want something that will clean your house while you sleep in bed. FORGET THESE MODELS! - look at the competition. It is really disappointing that a newer "more sophisticated" model does not work as well as a model that was released 12-13 years ago. A real step backwards.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

I have had the WORST customer service with iRobot. I ordered a Roomba in November. I had it for a couple of weeks and got a more expensive 1 so that it would go over my carpet. It did not work, and when I called customer service, they said it was because of the color and height of my carpet. I processed a return and sent it back. The return was received by their warehouse on November 23. I have called 5 times now asking for a status on my return. Each time, I am told a different time frame on when I should expect my refund, and to call back after that time runs up if I still don't receive it.

We are now in February and I still have not received a refund!! I was just told it should be received within 7-10 days but then it must get sent to Affirm and they will take up to 30 days to process. The last time I called (2 weeks ago) I was told I should have the money in my account within 3-5 days. Clearly incorrect. I would NEVER recommend anyone to buy a product from irobot as this is more of a headache than I could have ever imagined!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2021

Owned a Roomba 960 for a couple of years now. It seems that the more it's used, the STUPIDER it gets.

* It makes repeated passes in some areas (it hits my smooth kitchen floors about 3 times)
      * Some areas are totally avoided (no obstructions in those area)

* The factory installed battery is only 1800mah rated and wouldn't do our whole house with all the extra time it spent on areas it repeat covered. We recently purchased and updated to the 3300mah battery (NOT CHEAP!)

Contacted tech support about the "Stupidity" issue and they said I should use the iRobot app to Reset Defaults. OK, been there, done that... No-Go. The mapping history is retained. I'd like to be able to zero this thing out and have it start over from scratch! Aside from Reset Defaults, why can't the App have a button to "Clear Mapping Info"? I'd likely not buy this unit again.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

I recently purchased an S9+ bundle for my parents for Christmas to help with cleaning their home during the pandemic. The S9+ arrived and after its first run, started getting stuck every 2 feet, reporting "Error 31". I contacted customer service to look how to resolve the issue, and was quickly informed that given that the warranty was "void". They could not replace the unit. I inquired what steps I could take to have it repaired and was promptly informed "we currently do NOT repair the S9+ and since the warranty is void, there is nothing we can do for you". I don't understand how a company can get away with taking customers' money (1500 USD paid), and then have the serenity to simply leave them hanging out to dry without even trying to work to a compromise or solution for a customer willing to pay for repair. Their robot vacuum is a bad product, and their customer service is garbage. Stay away.

iRobot author review by ConsumerAffairs

iRobot is an American robotics manufacturer founded in 1990. The Roomba is one of several autonomous cleaners made by the company.

• Advanced technology: iRobot continues to improve its Roomba vacuums to clean more effectively.

• Convenient cleaning: The Roomba is an autonomous vacuum robot that docks and recharges itself between cleanings.

• Prevents jams: Brushless extractors help prevent tangles that can jam most vacuum cleaners.

• Responsive navigation: The Roomba responsive navigation technology helps it clean houses of all sizes and shapes.

• Scheduled cleaning: Owners can program the iRobot Roomba to clean their homes on a preset schedule.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team