2.00/5
Based on 57 reviews that contain star ratings

iRobot

IRobot is a technology company that specializes in autonomous robots that clean inside and outside the home. Designed with ease and performance in mind, their products include four Roomba vacuum models, two Braava mops and the Mirra pool cleaner.

75 iRobot Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

My Roomba was a lot of fun for 3 months. After that it started acting finicky. Customer service sent me some replacement parts that didn't really solve the problem. Then they sent a new battery that didn't solve the problem. Then they sent more parts and nothing worked. I asked if I could return it and they said, "No." So I have a box of Roomba parts that are useless.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I am a gadget freak and have a particular fondness for vacuum cleaners (don't ask). We currently have two regular excellent Shark vacuums, one for each floor. I am the person in charge of vacuuming when we are having guests. (Even if the house was vacuumed a few days ago!!) When my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I told her I wanted to try a Roomba so that I could have "someone else" do my vacuuming duties. And that is what I got.

I am simply amazed at how well this thing works; how it is able to work its way around furniture; how it returns home when the cleaning bin is full; how it returns home when it needs re-charging; and how well it cleans; and the kind of "map" it provides of the area it cleans. Way more effective at cleaning that I could have imagined for such a vacuum with a motor that pales in comparison to that on our uprights. It most certainly picks up the dog hair and regular dust and is able to navigate from carpet to hardwood to rugs with fringe quite easily.

Is it perfect? When compared to me vacuuming with our regular vacuum, no but way more than good enough and perfect for doing the job between our semi-weekly SERIOUS vacuuming --- or when guests are coming. I also take all of the chairs around our eating table and kitchen bar area and set them up on the table and counter. Necessary? No but when I vacuum, I move them out of the way so I could at least give the Roomba the same chance. We close the doors for those areas we don't want cleaned and use the "invisible wall" for another part we don't want cleaned.

We got the 2nd from the top model (960) and it does everything we need... And then some. There lots of options on the iPhone app to control it but, for example, we don't set schedules as we want to be able to move things around first and to ensure we have closed the doors, etc. The only anomaly I have experienced is when I moved it upstairs to see how it would do. It must have gotten confused but while it got the area incredibly clean, it never stopped and cleaned for over 6 hours. It has never done anything like that downstairs. HIGHLY recommended. Very highly.

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 22, 2018

This experience is in my completely renovated home. (Everything is new except studs in the walls.) This machine has left black marks from the plastic body on all of my white baseboards. I wipe off the body each day, so it is not dirt. All baseboards will need to be repainted. It has also climbed the metal pedestal bases of all my chairs, scratching them to the point that they need to be replaced. (These were new also). I am unsure how the machine is able to do this since it cannot propel over a piece of tortilla chip on the floor. I would advise against ever purchasing this item.

Original review: June 17, 2018

All that I can say is that I am simply amazed. I had serious reservations about spending money on a Roomba 960 but the reviews were all so positive, that I decided to go for it. We have lived in our new single story 2,000 SF home for a little over a year. With a back yard and two dogs the tile floors required daily (and sometimes more) sweeping to remove all the dirt, sand, grass, hair and dust bunnies. I was getting tired of all of the furniture moving and cleaning each and every day and decided to give the robot a try, knowing that I could return same if not satisfied. It arrived only 3 days after placing the order directly from iRobot. I programmed it to do the entire house, (except for the master bed and bath whose door is kept closed at night due to its separate A/C system), at midnight. The bedroom and bath are done independently several times a week during daytime hours.

Each and every cleaning during the week that we have had "Doc" (short for our "documented" worker) has produced a full dust bin. Stuff just seems to appear under furniture, in corners and at entrance ways each and every day, but "Doc" is able to find it. Since we have no carpets, it takes only an hour and a half to do the "midnight" cleaning, all on a single charge. He has gotten stuck twice. Once on a low hanging electric cord (which we now have elevated) and once by jamming himself under the refrigerator door. While I did get an alert each time, without a sound associated with it, they were overlooked until I awoke in the AM. We may eventually program him for only 4 days a week, but only if and when I can walk the house barefooted without having the bottoms of my feet pick up dirt and debris... something that would continuously happen when I was doing the sweeping and swiftering myself.

Original review: June 5, 2018

They don't mention the fact that the vacuum won't clean dark surfaces. It thinks the dark surface is a cliff and they don't allow the cliff sensors to be shut off. I would never have bought this if I had known about it not being able to vacuum black carpet. This is what they said, "Whenever Roomba approaches a dark surface, Roomba can mistake these surfaces as cliffs or drop off and will try to back away from it or eventually stop with an Error 6 code. This is unavoidable, in certain situations we recommend that Virtual Walls be used to confine Roomba to desired areas. We do apologize, but there isn't a way to disable this feature with the cliff sensor. We do understand that the carpet is one of the most important things to be cleaned. We have noticed that some customers increase the lighting by opening windows and adding extra lights etc in the areas that has the dark surfaces are and it worked for them."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about iRobot?

Original review: May 24, 2018

We have tried every way to get help repairing our 805 AeroForce unit nothing happens. American English is not used for verbal information... Online info does not seem to exist. Time lost trying to overcome this problem has gone into hours and still no help. Do NOT buy direct from company. Purchase thru COSTCO ONLY. They issue credit and take cleaner back.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I contacted iRobot regarding a Roomba 980 (top of the line model at the time) and how I was having an issue with it no longer working after it ran over a "semi-liquid mass" (dog poop, though I didn't tell them that). Even though I had bought the unit new from an eBay vendor, as opposed to an "authorized vendor", they still replaced an $800 unit no-questions-asked. I just had to pay for return shipping on the damaged vacuum. They were not under any legal obligation to replaced the vacuum because I had bought it from an unauthorized third party, but they didn't question the purchase or the "extreme" circumstances in which it was damaged. Good for them. Good customer service, very honest. Very pleased.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Roomba 980 - While iRobot continues to develop technically somewhat sound products, don't count on their technical customer service to help you in any way. First of all their English is very poor. 2nd they are very poor listeners. iRobot might as well automate their technical support. No difference. Do not connect to their cloud. It is unsafe. Treat their products as disposable and price is all that matters when considering robot vacuums. I should have done more comparisons. They are quick to sell you more parts to throw at a problem, but not technical enough to go beyond a script they are given.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I bought my first Roomba in 2006. It worked great for the first year, and it was a novelty that I was completely taken with. But after the first year, it ran less and less between chargings. iRobot suggested that I replace the battery, which I did for about $49.99 (as I remember). It never ran for more than 50 or so minutes after the replacement, and after a few months began to do strange things, like run around in circles, or go backward & forward in a straight line. When it began to buck (like a bronco!) I contacted iRobot. (And yes... I did clean it after every use & regularly picked out the hair & lint).

iRobot doesn't have a service department, nor could/would they recommend a company to service my Roomba, so I took my chances & sent my Roomba off across the country to a company that promised to recondition it & replace the parts, for $199. When I got the Roomba back, it worked fine for a few months, and then died. I was pretty down on the product at that point... after spending so much on the initial product, then on the battery, then on the reconditioning, I felt that I should be getting more out of the product than 3 years of acceptable service. I replaced it with a corded vacuum.

When the corded vacuum began to need more service than it was worth, I went back to the Roomba & bought one in the 800 series. Again... worked OK for a while, but then only ran for about 30-35 minutes before needing a re-charge; at this rate, it took me all day to get the place "swept", and I decided it wasn't worth it. I docked it and have used it rarely since then. In short... not worth the price, since you really need a solid, dependable vacuum/sweeper for the regular cleaning, and this is a lot of (expensive) trouble for in-between maintenance.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Our iRobot Roomba 960 has never worked in the 16 months that we have owned it. Even when brand new, it would never clean the whole house and would die at some point. When I called customer service, I was told that our house is too big and that I couldn't expect it to clean that much area. That's utter nonsense -- the house is only 2750 square feet. Nonetheless, we closed off all areas of the house except the living room, the dining room and the kitchen -- about 1000 square feet and the darn thing still died without recharging.

I have been in contact with the customer service folks for about ten days now and have jumped through all the hoops they have suggested, to no avail. It will run about 80 minutes, but refuses to dock and re-charge, so it just dies somewhere. It has also never thoroughly cleaned the house, but rather jumps from room to room without finishing any of them. This product has been a big disappointment and a complete waste of $800. We wouldn't get another one, no matter how much of a discount they offered us. Live and learn. Caveat emptor!

Original review: March 24, 2018

I bought my Roomba (iRobot Roomba model 891) about 3 weeks ago, and I have used it 8-10 times already on our hardwood floor. My wife noticed that there are scratches, long scratches, a straight line and some are curve and some are round. Especially where the runner were, (I removed the 2 runners in the hallway to wash them, and then I closed all the doors and blocked off the entryway so the Roomba can just clean that area). And that's where my wife noticed the scratches. And then we survey the whole house and my wife was right, there's scratches all over the house (1st floor is all hardwood flooring) from the living room to the kitchen to the family room to the hallway and all the 3 rooms downstairs. They all have scratches (most are straight line scratches, these scratches are hard to see, you can see it in an angle and if light is bright).

I think, there's a flaw on the design of the front wheel, which is made of hard plastic and about an inch in circumference, I think somehow it gets stuck while the 2 rear rubber wheels push it. I checked underneath the Roomba and that's the only part that have caused the scratches. Please email me if you have the same problem I have. I have made the complaint to iRobot company and I would like to file a claim to fix my hardwood floor. And it would my case if anyone has the same problem.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I bought a 900 series robot on 2/24/18. It worked for less than a week and started giving error on a part. Of course they took over week to ship such part which was not the issue. I owned an iRobot over 10 years ago. The company has changed and currently has foreign call centers and nonexistent customer service. Today I received replacement 960 robot & may not keep it. It is an expensive item and the company does not seem to care about its poor customer service.

Original review: March 1, 2018

We like our vacuum but she gets stuck under furniture. We do have several virtual walls. It runs out of battery power before it finds home. Sometimes it has a hard time finding home before it runs out of power. Other than the above it is doing very well. It would be nice if we could upgrade without a huge expense as we are a loyal customer.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

We bought Roomba 980 14 months ago. It has finally died. There is no service for it. It must be replaced. iRobot/Roomba is offering $100 off another Roomba 980. Fail. We paid $999 for Roomba and after 12 months we had already replaced the filter and extractors 10 times at $69. 2 months ago, the left wheel died, so we bought a new one for $29. The day the wheel arrived, the cleaning head died, costing another $59. A week later, the battery died! That was $79. The "better" battery cost $99, but we opted for the one that came with our unit. The same day the battery was installed, the charger died! Another $59! 2 weeks ago, the fan motor, costing us another $15. During this time of continual breakage, extractors were replaced another 2 times and the filter once.

Then last week Roomba would have no more and simply stopped working altogether, spinning in circles and docking continually. That's when Roomba offered us a $100 discount on a new Roomba 980, as they do not have service repair options available, only new ones, which will also break down after warranty expires. We regularly cleaned and maintained Roomba on a weekly basis and did nothing but spend spend spend on it, just to have it die right out of warranty. I would recommend avoiding the brand entirely and getting some old fashioned exercise and vacuuming the traditional way. We were lazy and it cost us almost $1500. Don't make the same mistake we and countless others here have made.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

It does a great job on level ground and really keeps the dust and pet hair cleaned up. It is a bit loud if you are on the phone, etc. For a small machine used daily it really helps with light cleaning!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Bought a $600+ Roomba and only used a few times in past two years. The sensor was broken. The tech engineer said it's not repairable but I can pay $320 to get a replacement one. Why I pay another $300+ to buy a poor quality product? This is ridiculous.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

After just over 2 years, my iRobot Roomba 700 series started giving me the ‘brush cleaning’ error. I maintain my Roomba well. It opened up the casing and gave it a clean. Eventually I became an expert in disassembling and reassembling my Roomba as I opened and cleaned everything (including gears, sensors and every part I could remove)! Eventually I contacted iRobot via chat where it was recommended that I buy a new cleaning head, which I did. I assembled it when it arrived and still, no dice. It wouldn’t clean longer than 10 minutes and was doing it in weird cleaning patterns and then errors out again. I once again contacted iRobot customer service and the rep called me at home to help. It was recommended that I needed to replace the robot now far out of warranty.

A discount was provided from $499 US to $399 US which seemed a lot to me. I explained that I wanted to explore my options since if this is the expected life expectancy of the vacuum with replacement costs that much, I might explore a lower cost competitor, much as I loved my Roomba. The agent asked me to hold on for a minute while she engaged another area to see if there was more she could do for me. When she returned, iRobot had agreed to replace my robot minus the battery and charging dock which I would keep. I was expecting maybe another $100 off maximum offer but they went above and beyond to keep me loyal and happy and also assured that most Roombas last much longer than 2 years I well maintained. I will happily be an iRobot customer for life and am now also considering another of their products now that I know how wonderful they treat their customers!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I am disabled, pushing a vacuum on most days is not feasible. The Roomba makes keeping my floors and home clean without injuring myself. The only issue are corners which I need to sweep since my version does not get into them as well. I have a long hair dog so I need to empty the bin after each cleaning since the collection space is small.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

The vacuum moves about fairly regularly, but skips a number of spots. It takes the machine about four times as long to vacuum as it would if I were using a regular one myself.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

My dogs love to chase it. Quiet and efficient. Not bad on energy usage and not hard to use. Picks up pretty good and easy to clean. Definitely would recommend for any household.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

This cleaner makes vacuuming easy! I set my Roomba down in the middle of the room, close the door and come back later to find it all clean. It's great for carpet, wood floors, and tiled areas. I have to make sure I empty the container after each cleaning, but other than that, it is hassle-free. It sure beats pushing a heavy cleaner around the room. It will go under the dresser and zips in and out around the room until all is clean. It makes a deetaldeedee! sound when all is clean and it is through.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

This product gets very confused, there is no set pattern. It goes until it hits an object and then turns turns turns. I watched this product for an hour and quite frankly it doesn't hit 1/2 of my cleaning surface because of its confusion. I paid a lot for this product and it is NOT WORTH IT!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

This product excels at moving messes from one area to another, going to places it has already done or shouldn't, knocking things over, and destroying all cords it comes across. It clogs up almost immediately and then starts moving messes around. It is topnotch at taking hair from one area and then placing it underneath tables and doors. And if that isn't enough it breaks down within weeks of using it.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Spent almost 500.00 on the vacuum, only to find out it only lasts about two years, before receiving charging error 5. A call to customer support to find the ONLY solution was purchasing a new one??? Yeah, I will not be throwing my money away like that any longer! Thanks, but no thanks.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

This company has the worst customer service. I ordered a product from them on a Tuesday night and paid for one day shipping. It's Saturday and I still have not received my product. Customer service said their team is verifying my order which makes no sense. Will never order a product from them again.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I purchased a 980 model in 12/2015. It worked well for 2 years and then suddenly stopped working. A call to customer service led them to recommend that I replace the unit. As others have stated, they do not offer any repairs or parts, just a suggestion to throw it away and buy a new one. They do offer a new one at a 15% discount but you don't receive a new battery with it. I've placed that order twice now by phone with a credit card that is in good standing. Days later, I've received a notice acknowledging that I cancelled the order (I hadn't). Again, I spent another 20 minutes reordering and they have no explanation of why it's cancelled. The woman on the phone said she was going to "personally" follow up to see that it was shipped, only to get the same cancellation letter and no follow-up. This is great vacuum while it lasts but it's incredibly expensive if it lasts less than two years. Consider this to be a disposable vacuum.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

If I could give a negative rating I would! The expensive iRobot Roomba worked for little over a year, after purchasing a new battery, the Roomba stopped working all together. Customer service does not help you fix the Roomba, they offer 25% discount on a new one, which I think it's their marketing strategy, to sell more product. It is the biggest scam I've ever had. The Roomba cost over $600 which I purchased from Bed Bath & Beyond, another $50 for a new battery, over all this $650 vacuum cleaner worked about 1 year and half and customer service over the phone did not care at all. I wish I have read these reviews before my purchasing. Please do not spend your money on this piece of junk! Mine is ready to go in the trash.

Original review: July 22, 2017

Buyer beware (my experience -- long), July 21, 2017. By. This is a general review for the iRobot Roombas and not a specific model. IRobot does NOT have a repair center to fix a broken Roombas. If your Roombas will no longer work after warranty the best they will do is offer a discount on a replacement Roomba. My story: in 2008 I purchased the top model at that time. After 4 months of use or less than 12 uses, we found we were moving and after cleaning the Roombas and removing the battery I packed the Roomba. Due to unexpected circumstances the Roomba ended up in storage. It worked perfectly when I packed it.

A week ago I unpacked it, replaced the battery and plugged it in to charge. After 30 minutes I got an error alarm. I contacted iRobot support and was told I needed a new battery (basically on a fixed income this is a pricey item). After replacing the new battery I plugged Roomba in to charge and 30 minutes later got the same error alarm. The battery will not charge. However as the battery had a partial charge I ran the Roomba and it worked great. Contacted iRobot again and was told I needed a new charger. Purchased another iRobot product although I had doubts that this was the problem. Again Roomba gave the same error code after 30 minutes.

Contacted iRobot tech AGAIN. Sent a lengthy email (like this lengthy review) documenting everything I did. Received a return email informing me that a replacement battery was probably needed but the charger probably was not (thanks a lot -- I can really afford to spend money on unnecessary purchases) and the problem was most likely an electrical current problem. The Roomba was not recognizing enough current to charge the battery. Thus the error code. However good news! It would only take a few simple steps to fix and someone would call me.

Tech calls. In spite of email and notes from previous contact, I am told to buy a new battery! I told him to read the email; the battery had already been replaced. So he told me to buy a new charger! Maybe he can't read? Again I told him that was done. So he says I need to buy a new Roomba. He offered a discount (if I wanted a new one Amazon's prices were better than his discount). I asked if they would pay shipping for me to send the Roomba for repair. THEY HAVE NO REPAIR CENTER!!! No way to fix it. By years my Roomba might be old but by use it was essentially new. What kind of company sells an expensive product and cannot repair it? Buyer beware. Once your Roomba is out of warranty if it breaks all you have is a piece of junk. The only support technical support offered was how to pry money from me for parts or replacement. They have no knowledge or ability to fix any problems that occur with an out of warranty product.

Original review: May 24, 2017

I'm beginning to dislike our Roomba. I think they are best suited for a square room. Ours is not, it very open and the Roomba wanders from one room to the next, down the hall, under the dining room table and gets hung up on the chair legs and it never shuts off. It must be looking for its docking station and can't find it. That's because it's down the hall in another room going around in circles. The virtual wall does help but I'd need 5 or 6 of them to keep it confined to where I want it. It can get out of the living room by going under the couch and out the back, which it does. I made a test today by putting it in a small room with the door closed. It ran for over an hour and a half and never did shut off. Again I think it was looking for its docking station so I guess it must be moved from room to room too. The room was cleaned though. I'm thinking of sending it back to Amazon. It's not suited for our house. BTW... the dog doesn't like it either.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

In theory, great idea. Who wouldn't love an automatic vacuum cleaner that cleans for you and you never have to think of doing it on a regular basis? However, this thing is terrible and such a headache. Before it turns on, I have to literally go from room to room removing any possible small items it may get stuck on. I have to close all the kids rooms b/c they have so many small toys that would demolish the roomba. I have to close my room off b/c I have too many cords from charging devices that might get sucked up and render the roomba useless.

I thought I did a good job today of "roomba proofing" my house, only to hear it stop 5 minutes in and when I went over, I see that I overlooked cords from my blinds (they were hiding behind my curtains, darn it!). Roomba down. Not sure how in the world to untangle this mess and I am about 5 screws in so far. What a waste of $400. In all the time I spend prepping for the roomba to run, I may as well run my own vacuum manually. DO NOT BUY. Too good to be true!!!

iRobot expert review by ConsumerAffairs

iRobot is an American robotics manufacturer founded in 1990. The Roomba is one of several autonomous cleaners made by the company.

• Advanced technology: iRobot continues to improve its Roomba vacuums to clean more effectively.

• Convenient cleaning: The Roomba is an autonomous vacuum robot that docks and recharges itself between cleanings.

• Prevents jams: Brushless extractors help prevent tangles that can jam most vacuum cleaners.

• Responsive navigation: The Roomba responsive navigation technology helps it clean houses of all sizes and shapes.

• Scheduled cleaning: Owners can program the iRobot Roomba to clean their homes on a preset schedule.

• Best for: iRobot's Roomba is a good option for homeowners and renters who value convenience.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs