2.16/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 11, 2018

42 iRobot Roomba Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 11, 2018

Our iRobot Roomba 960 has never worked in the 16 months that we have owned it. Even when brand new, it would never clean the whole house and would die at some point. When I called customer service, I was told that our house is too big and that I couldn't expect it to clean that much area. That's utter nonsense -- the house is only 2750 square feet. Nonetheless, we closed off all areas of the house except the living room, the dining room and the kitchen -- about 1000 square feet and the darn thing still died without recharging.

I have been in contact with the customer service folks for about ten days now and have jumped through all the hoops they have suggested, to no avail. It will run about 80 minutes, but refuses to dock and re-charge, so it just dies somewhere. It has also never thoroughly cleaned the house, but rather jumps from room to room without finishing any of them. This product has been a big disappointment and a complete waste of $800. We wouldn't get another one, no matter how much of a discount they offered us. Live and learn. Caveat emptor!

Original review: March 24, 2018

I bought my Roomba (iRobot Roomba model 891) about 3 weeks ago, and I have used it 8-10 times already on our hardwood floor. My wife noticed that there are scratches, long scratches, a straight line and some are curve and some are round. Especially where the runner were, (I removed the 2 runners in the hallway to wash them, and then I closed all the doors and blocked off the entryway so the Roomba can just clean that area). And that's where my wife noticed the scratches. And then we survey the whole house and my wife was right, there's scratches all over the house (1st floor is all hardwood flooring) from the living room to the kitchen to the family room to the hallway and all the 3 rooms downstairs. They all have scratches (most are straight line scratches, these scratches are hard to see, you can see it in an angle and if light is bright).

I think, there's a flaw on the design of the front wheel, which is made of hard plastic and about an inch in circumference, I think somehow it gets stuck while the 2 rear rubber wheels push it. I checked underneath the Roomba and that's the only part that have caused the scratches. Please email me if you have the same problem I have. I have made the complaint to iRobot company and I would like to file a claim to fix my hardwood floor. And it would my case if anyone has the same problem.

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2018

We like our vacuum but she gets stuck under furniture. We do have several virtual walls. It runs out of battery power before it finds home. Sometimes it has a hard time finding home before it runs out of power. Other than the above it is doing very well. It would be nice if we could upgrade without a huge expense as we are a loyal customer.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

We bought Roomba 980 14 months ago. It has finally died. There is no service for it. It must be replaced. iRobot/Roomba is offering $100 off another Roomba 980. Fail. We paid $999 for Roomba and after 12 months we had already replaced the filter and extractors 10 times at $69. 2 months ago, the left wheel died, so we bought a new one for $29. The day the wheel arrived, the cleaning head died, costing another $59. A week later, the battery died! That was $79. The "better" battery cost $99, but we opted for the one that came with our unit. The same day the battery was installed, the charger died! Another $59! 2 weeks ago, the fan motor, costing us another $15. During this time of continual breakage, extractors were replaced another 2 times and the filter once.

Then last week Roomba would have no more and simply stopped working altogether, spinning in circles and docking continually. That's when Roomba offered us a $100 discount on a new Roomba 980, as they do not have service repair options available, only new ones, which will also break down after warranty expires. We regularly cleaned and maintained Roomba on a weekly basis and did nothing but spend spend spend on it, just to have it die right out of warranty. I would recommend avoiding the brand entirely and getting some old fashioned exercise and vacuuming the traditional way. We were lazy and it cost us almost $1500. Don't make the same mistake we and countless others here have made.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

It does a great job on level ground and really keeps the dust and pet hair cleaned up. It is a bit loud if you are on the phone, etc. For a small machine used daily it really helps with light cleaning!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about iRobot Roomba?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

After just over 2 years, my iRobot Roomba 700 series started giving me the ‘brush cleaning’ error. I maintain my Roomba well. It opened up the casing and gave it a clean. Eventually I became an expert in disassembling and reassembling my Roomba as I opened and cleaned everything (including gears, sensors and every part I could remove)! Eventually I contacted iRobot via chat where it was recommended that I buy a new cleaning head, which I did. I assembled it when it arrived and still, no dice. It wouldn’t clean longer than 10 minutes and was doing it in weird cleaning patterns and then errors out again. I once again contacted iRobot customer service and the rep called me at home to help. It was recommended that I needed to replace the robot now far out of warranty.

A discount was provided from $499 US to $399 US which seemed a lot to me. I explained that I wanted to explore my options since if this is the expected life expectancy of the vacuum with replacement costs that much, I might explore a lower cost competitor, much as I loved my Roomba. The agent asked me to hold on for a minute while she engaged another area to see if there was more she could do for me. When she returned, iRobot had agreed to replace my robot minus the battery and charging dock which I would keep. I was expecting maybe another $100 off maximum offer but they went above and beyond to keep me loyal and happy and also assured that most Roombas last much longer than 2 years I well maintained. I will happily be an iRobot customer for life and am now also considering another of their products now that I know how wonderful they treat their customers!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I am disabled, pushing a vacuum on most days is not feasible. The Roomba makes keeping my floors and home clean without injuring myself. The only issue are corners which I need to sweep since my version does not get into them as well. I have a long hair dog so I need to empty the bin after each cleaning since the collection space is small.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

The vacuum moves about fairly regularly, but skips a number of spots. It takes the machine about four times as long to vacuum as it would if I were using a regular one myself.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

My dogs love to chase it. Quiet and efficient. Not bad on energy usage and not hard to use. Picks up pretty good and easy to clean. Definitely would recommend for any household.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

This cleaner makes vacuuming easy! I set my Roomba down in the middle of the room, close the door and come back later to find it all clean. It's great for carpet, wood floors, and tiled areas. I have to make sure I empty the container after each cleaning, but other than that, it is hassle-free. It sure beats pushing a heavy cleaner around the room. It will go under the dresser and zips in and out around the room until all is clean. It makes a deetaldeedee! sound when all is clean and it is through.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

This product gets very confused, there is no set pattern. It goes until it hits an object and then turns turns turns. I watched this product for an hour and quite frankly it doesn't hit 1/2 of my cleaning surface because of its confusion. I paid a lot for this product and it is NOT WORTH IT!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

This product excels at moving messes from one area to another, going to places it has already done or shouldn't, knocking things over, and destroying all cords it comes across. It clogs up almost immediately and then starts moving messes around. It is topnotch at taking hair from one area and then placing it underneath tables and doors. And if that isn't enough it breaks down within weeks of using it.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Spent almost 500.00 on the vacuum, only to find out it only lasts about two years, before receiving charging error 5. A call to customer support to find the ONLY solution was purchasing a new one??? Yeah, I will not be throwing my money away like that any longer! Thanks, but no thanks.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

If I could give a negative rating I would! The expensive iRobot Roomba worked for little over a year, after purchasing a new battery, the Roomba stopped working all together. Customer service does not help you fix the Roomba, they offer 25% discount on a new one, which I think it's their marketing strategy, to sell more product. It is the biggest scam I've ever had. The Roomba cost over $600 which I purchased from Bed Bath & Beyond, another $50 for a new battery, over all this $650 vacuum cleaner worked about 1 year and half and customer service over the phone did not care at all. I wish I have read these reviews before my purchasing. Please do not spend your money on this piece of junk! Mine is ready to go in the trash.

Original review: July 22, 2017

Buyer beware (my experience -- long), July 21, 2017. By. This is a general review for the iRobot Roombas and not a specific model. IRobot does NOT have a repair center to fix a broken Roombas. If your Roombas will no longer work after warranty the best they will do is offer a discount on a replacement Roomba. My story: in 2008 I purchased the top model at that time. After 4 months of use or less than 12 uses, we found we were moving and after cleaning the Roombas and removing the battery I packed the Roomba. Due to unexpected circumstances the Roomba ended up in storage. It worked perfectly when I packed it.

A week ago I unpacked it, replaced the battery and plugged it in to charge. After 30 minutes I got an error alarm. I contacted iRobot support and was told I needed a new battery (basically on a fixed income this is a pricey item). After replacing the new battery I plugged Roomba in to charge and 30 minutes later got the same error alarm. The battery will not charge. However as the battery had a partial charge I ran the Roomba and it worked great. Contacted iRobot again and was told I needed a new charger. Purchased another iRobot product although I had doubts that this was the problem. Again Roomba gave the same error code after 30 minutes.

Contacted iRobot tech AGAIN. Sent a lengthy email (like this lengthy review) documenting everything I did. Received a return email informing me that a replacement battery was probably needed but the charger probably was not (thanks a lot -- I can really afford to spend money on unnecessary purchases) and the problem was most likely an electrical current problem. The Roomba was not recognizing enough current to charge the battery. Thus the error code. However good news! It would only take a few simple steps to fix and someone would call me.

Tech calls. In spite of email and notes from previous contact, I am told to buy a new battery! I told him to read the email; the battery had already been replaced. So he told me to buy a new charger! Maybe he can't read? Again I told him that was done. So he says I need to buy a new Roomba. He offered a discount (if I wanted a new one Amazon's prices were better than his discount). I asked if they would pay shipping for me to send the Roomba for repair. THEY HAVE NO REPAIR CENTER!!! No way to fix it. By years my Roomba might be old but by use it was essentially new. What kind of company sells an expensive product and cannot repair it? Buyer beware. Once your Roomba is out of warranty if it breaks all you have is a piece of junk. The only support technical support offered was how to pry money from me for parts or replacement. They have no knowledge or ability to fix any problems that occur with an out of warranty product.

Original review: May 24, 2017

I'm beginning to dislike our Roomba. I think they are best suited for a square room. Ours is not, it very open and the Roomba wanders from one room to the next, down the hall, under the dining room table and gets hung up on the chair legs and it never shuts off. It must be looking for its docking station and can't find it. That's because it's down the hall in another room going around in circles. The virtual wall does help but I'd need 5 or 6 of them to keep it confined to where I want it. It can get out of the living room by going under the couch and out the back, which it does. I made a test today by putting it in a small room with the door closed. It ran for over an hour and a half and never did shut off. Again I think it was looking for its docking station so I guess it must be moved from room to room too. The room was cleaned though. I'm thinking of sending it back to Amazon. It's not suited for our house. BTW... the dog doesn't like it either.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

In theory, great idea. Who wouldn't love an automatic vacuum cleaner that cleans for you and you never have to think of doing it on a regular basis? However, this thing is terrible and such a headache. Before it turns on, I have to literally go from room to room removing any possible small items it may get stuck on. I have to close all the kids rooms b/c they have so many small toys that would demolish the roomba. I have to close my room off b/c I have too many cords from charging devices that might get sucked up and render the roomba useless.

I thought I did a good job today of "roomba proofing" my house, only to hear it stop 5 minutes in and when I went over, I see that I overlooked cords from my blinds (they were hiding behind my curtains, darn it!). Roomba down. Not sure how in the world to untangle this mess and I am about 5 screws in so far. What a waste of $400. In all the time I spend prepping for the roomba to run, I may as well run my own vacuum manually. DO NOT BUY. Too good to be true!!!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2016

Very expensive product that doesn't live up to its worth. It takes more time to clean the overpriced piece of crap than it does to vacuum manually. Don't waste your money on this worthless pile of junk. I gave mine away for free and the recipient had the same review. Said it sucked even for a gift. Roomba blows and sucks at the same time!

Original review: July 2, 2016

Roomba 650 - We purchased our Roomba about 18 months ago. We have dark cork flooring throughout the house so you can see every speck. Roomba has been a godsend. No problems except the occasional eating of iPhone lightning cords. I empty the bin and clean off the brushes every two days or so. Had a wheel module fail at month 14: diagnosed and ordered new one. Customer service was VERY polite and helpful during this process. Am now replacing the brushes when I noticed all the negative reviews here. I would recommend this product to anyone with the caveat; you have to maintain it. When this one finally dies we'll get another as a second!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2016

This is the opposite of a cleaning robot. My carpets might get spotless, in one area, but as Roomba sits and bumps against all possible objects, while dragging every possible object it encounters; shoes, wires, papers, ANYTHING... What I really want to know is who is liable when Roomba pushes its way into a closed room and proceeds to shred sensitive financial papers that may have been on the floor of said closed office.

I walked into my room this morning to find a straight trail from the Roomba station to that closed door, which apparently was only partially closed into the jam, but Roomba found its way in and proceeded to literally shred countless financial papers that I had next to my desk. It shredded the papers, dragged them to every accessible corner of the office (and when I say accessible it found to most inaccessible spot under the desk and then died there, as it shredded my papers and tried hopelessly to find a way out).

Roomba is pure unadulterated **. Either the algorithms programmed into it are not as smart as the Roomba engineers think it is, or the hardware is limited, but this should not be sold as a consumer device until it can do things like actually vacuum a room without creating 10x more mess. I should not have to sit and babysit a GD vacuuming robot. It defeats the entire purpose of the thing. I am very dissatisfied with Roomba and will never purchase an iRobot product ever again.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2015

I'm glad that my review was seen over 70,000 times. I hope that it has helped other consumers diverge from purchasing iRobot. Here is a current update. I have disposed 2 of the iRobots - they were just taking space and I put them in the garbage. I have 1 iRobot left and the batteries I have last about 1.5 to 3 minutes max regardless how long I charge the unit for. I spoke to the iRobot customer service and as usual very insensitive to the client's problems. They said that I need to spend more money and buy more batteries or a new iRobot. These operators must be trained to strictly get more money out of us consumers and no other help or support is provided. Both my wife and I are very disappointed and I explained to the company about all the problems we had with the multiple units we have had.

The reason they were saying is we did not cleaned them which is incorrect because we kept a log of the cleaning sessions plus a log of every phone call and conversation with managers and operators as we got transferred, put on hold sometimes for almost 1 hr then disconnected. We are sure that you can understand how frustrating that is. Raising kids and taking care of the everyday tasks is difficult as it is. The people at iRobot said that it's normal for them to do that as the call volume is so huge with complaints that it is unequivocally impossible to handle.

The problems we have had were never resolved. All we really wanted is for them to take this robot back and supply us with the one that works as they claim that their robots are the best. The batteries we have are dead now and cannot use the robot any longer, in behalf of my family I hope that the CEO will read this and reply personally and make this right by sending a iRobot Roomba that works. There is always time to concede and make things right. Thank you everybody, keep posting.

Original review: July 14, 2015

A few years ago, I had my first robotic vacuum cleaner, a roomba. Can't recall model number but suffice to say it lasted less than 2 years. Customer service at that point confirmed it was not repairable. I had used it maybe 20 times, if that. This year, I gave it another try with a scooba. Same story, lasted less than 2 years and I have used it even less than the roomba before.

Customer service really not very friendly, nor knowledgeable. Very disappointed. While I admire the company's concept as such, using robots to help with household chores, it really seems they focus a lot more on their governmental robots (which must be even more expensive) neglecting customer that pay anywhere from usd 400-700 for a VACUUM CLEANER! I will buy a cheaper, non iRobot model now and it will probably last a lot longer than 2 years. iRobot is DEAD for me, for life.

Original review: May 30, 2015

After 3 years of light usage and I do mean light, I got the infamous error code 9. The book says to hit the bumpers 20 times to clean the sensors. This didn't work so I called the customer service line. Their standard line was, "Well if you cleaned the bumpers we can't fix it. So you will need to buy a new unit." They offered me a core unit, no battery or aux equipment for $150. I sent an email asking for more ways to troubleshoot the problem but they are standing firm, no fix just replacement. And because I registered the machine at purchase I get a 15% discount. Nice going iRobot, you got me, at least I got 3 years usage out of it. I will not replace it with a Roomba. I will never buy anything from iRobot again and I don't recommend you buying their products.

Original review: May 14, 2015

I am having a problem with my iRobot Roomba 650. I called customer service. Their representatives are the most not customer oriented people. I purchased the robot at Bed, Bath, And Beyond on January 2015. I lost the receipt and I have purchased it with a gift card so I can't pull out the receipt. Anyway, iRobot customer service insists to get the receipt and not willing to provide me a service without a physical receipt... Who keeps receipts in those days? Why to put more bumpers in front of customers face instead of trying to help them under the warranty agreement?!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2014

I purchased a Roomba 870 in March and have been very happy with the results. With 2 kids, 2 dogs, and 2 cats, I program it to clean the living room and entryway every single day. Then, when I get home in the evening, I run it in another room as well - so it sees heavy use. When it was about a month old, it stopped charging on the base - it was completely dead. iRobot sent me an all-new 870, all components. It has worked like a charm for almost 8 months now with no issues. We recently updated our living room area run to a thick shag, which Roomba will not run on. It stops after about 10 seconds. To be fair, I cannot manually vacuum this shag rug with my Dyson upright either. I have to put on the hose attachment and use that occasionally on the area rug. Most of the floor is still wood, and I still use the Roomba daily.

Original review: July 28, 2014

Over a 12 month period I purchased 4 Roombas, in the 500 series. First one quit working, no help form Support. I tried to replace the battery, and stripped out the screw holding the plastic in place. That one is dead. Then bought another one, which seemed to clean ok, it just would not pay attention to the virtual walls. Bought a 3rd one at Sam's, which never cleaned the entire room. It ran through a tad bit of water, quit working. I cannot get Roomba to equitably fix this. I think I need a new motherboard for each of them, but iRobot refuses to sell me any or to offer any repairs. What they did offer was to sell me robots for $200 each. Really? I think I can sell them for parts and get about that much for the old ones. I think I will investigate a Shark or Dyson instead. That's over $500 for them, and nothing is working. I loved the first one, but the dog baptized it, and apparently any amount of moisture is a death knell. Too bad! I don’t think I will be getting any more. Too expensive a lesson. And from what I read on here, Roomba does not care.

Original review: July 21, 2014

Roomba 870 - The robot does not hold a charge long enough to regularly complete cleaning of living and dining room areas. It routinely is found dead in the middle of the floor in need of a charge. Irobot has replaced modules, charging station, etc., but problem continues. I'm concerned about what this will cost me once the warranty runs out.

Original review: June 19, 2013

I own an iRobot Roomba 500 series (pet series) automated vacuum. It is less than two years old and has NOT seen any severe or heavy usage. I only have one dog. I kept getting error messages time you clean the brushes. I went on the iRobot site and found a video that showed exactly what mine was doing. Then it said that I would need to call their support number. I assume that they have seen this problem many times. This assumption is based on the fact that they had a video describing the problem, and the customer service rep who I called went right into a script where she basically blamed it on the fact that I had a dog. Seriously? They were surprised that I had a dog? Why would I ever buy the "Pet series" if I didn't have a pet? This is obviously a design flaw. They said they have totally redesigned the brushes and then they told me that I would have to pay $50 to get them. I asked why I would have to pay to fix a problem that was an obvious design flaw. At that point, the customer service rep immediately gave me a 15% discount and free shipping. Discount and free shipping aside, this is a total rip off. This is them asking me to pay for their design flaw. It should be free.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2012

I have a 2-year-old 500 series Roomba that I cannot find a place to get it repaired. It runs for about 2 minutes & says "clean brushes." This has been done every time it stops & nothing is on the brushes which, by the way, are newly replaced brushes, along with another new battery. Now the new problem is it won't dock at the charge station at all. Do I have any recourse at all? Does anyone know where I can send it for repair? I just spent over $100.00 on this thing & hate to throw it away.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2011

I have had problems with iRobot systems and customer service for several years. I have bought about 4 different robots and all of them only worked for a couple of weeks to a maximum of 3 months. iRobot does not have a repair center therefore they make their clients troubleshoot this poorly engineered vacuums over the phone.

I have spent numerous hours going over troubleshooting and nothing was ever fixed. They have gotten to the extent of sending me what I believe was a refurbished unit that did not work either! All of this happened when I lived in California with my family. I'm now in PA and after opening all the boxes from the move, I found the bad Roombas and sparked the interest of trying to see if any of poorly made machines worked, after a full charge given, one went into circles and another went really slow and so long. No carpet or floors were cleaned as usual.

I called Roomba Customer Service and kept an open mind, thinking that maybe I can exchange the four I have for one that works, but now they are out of warranty and conveniently they only have records of what they wanted to keep with only one machine registered. However, they mentioned that one was sent to me in 2007. I told them that it never worked so they asked me again to troubleshoot the unit and of course after using compressors to blow out the dust, it still never worked. The unit is brand new, why should I blow dust out of it? Nonsense In case someone wants to file a class complaint, please let me know. I believe just by reading this post there are thousands of people with similar issues. I will be willing to talk to an attorney if anyone would be willing to pick up the case and get a new system to the people that have similar problems or whatever is necessary to do.

iRobot Roomba expert review by ConsumerAffairs

iRobot is an American robotics manufacturer founded in 1990. The Roomba is one of several autonomous cleaners made by the company.

• Advanced technology: iRobot continues to improve its Roomba vacuums to clean more effectively.

• Convenient cleaning: The Roomba is an autonomous vacuum robot that docks and recharges itself between cleanings.

• Prevents jams: Brushless extractors help prevent tangles that can jam most vacuum cleaners.

• Responsive navigation: The Roomba responsive navigation technology helps it clean houses of all sizes and shapes.

• Scheduled cleaning: Owners can program the iRobot Roomba to clean their homes on a preset schedule.

• Best for: iRobot's Roomba is a good option for homeowners and renters who value convenience.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs