3.6/5 (150 ratings)

About iRobot

IRobot is a technology company that specializes in autonomous robots that clean inside and outside the home. Designed with ease and performance in mind, their products include four Roomba vacuum models, two Braava mops and the Mirra pool cleaner.

iRobot Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about iRobot?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about iRobot?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

The battery is getting old and needs replacement, wanting a good one we buy from iRobot. What a mistake, they no longer stock the replacement for older units, and charge you a $100 for a later model battery that doesn't charge in your previously perfectly working machine. A normal clean indicator light has a soft glowing pulse to the light, mine now blinks quickly. NEITHER of the 2 technical service guys knew that is a trouble light, and require counting to diagnose the problem. Technical services have been moved to Latin America, they are clueless. Look like original battery is on Amazon for 20 bucks, hope it works. You pay a premium for Roomba's, no longer worth it!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

Loved the machine but then it quit charging and told me I needed a new battery. I ordered a new battery from the company and installed it and still the same error message that it's not charging and to get a replacement battery. I am going to order from a different company since I cannot get any response from iRobot.

Get buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 25, 2022

After literally years of thinking how great it would be to get a Roomba, I finally buckled and bought an i7. I might as well have burned my money. In short, this thing has not worked properly since day 1.

It:

- Won't reliably dock

- Gets itself stuck all the time

- Suction is not great, and has never been

- Often decides there is something wrong with one of its wheels. This is not the case, because not only have I played their games with the "maintenance and cleaning" and found nothing wrong, I've also started testing it by triggering the sensors (just flip over and push the wheel) to convince it that I did "clean" it, and it works fine after that.

- Many times when it gets stuck, it will try to force its way out, and push my furniture around. For example, one day it got stuck, I went to "rescue it", and it had pushed my dining room chair about 7 feet trying to... IDK what?? Force its way out? Break my furniture? No joke. I'm sitting here thinking "Well, you got yourself in there, why didn't you just back out exactly the way you came???"

Their "customer service" is truly awful. You're going to hold for at least 20 minutes (usually 40+), no matter what time of day you call. Then they connect you to someone who just doesn't give a fig, and you're going to have to talk to them for at least 30 minutes. So there's an hour+ of your day gone. Their "support" made me run through all sorts of hoops for "troubleshooting" which was a joke. It was nothing more than basic maintenance stuff you can easily find online, and which I had already been keeping up with. Then they talked me into believing their nonsense that "it just has to learn more, it will get better." Like an idiot, I believed that. Then I realized they conveniently did that to get me to wait long enough so I couldn't return it.

Many angry calls later, they started promising me they would send me a replacement robot. Nothing. Crickets. I got no replacement. Now I'm back again with them, and they "escalated" my issues, and claimed once again that they would indeed get the replacement out to me. That was on 7/19/2022. They claimed I would get an email with shipping/tracking by Friday 7/22/2022. Guess what???? I got nothing. Here it is, 7/25/2022 with still no help and my money has been swindled away from me... and now I'm here telling all of you to save your money and just use a regular vacuum.

Original review: July 18, 2022

This robot is completely useless, the navigation is terrible, it doesn't know where it is half of the time, I've seen it bang in a wall for 30 seconds in a row before deciding to turn around and finally giving up. When it works, it doesn't even clean correctly and takes over 2 hours for something I can do in 15 minutes. And the customer "service" is the worst, completely useless, same as the robot. Buy Roborock instead, cheaper and it works great.

Original review: June 30, 2022

There’s features about this vacuum that I really love and appreciate, like the automatic empty. It’s my favorite because it can take as long as a month before having to replace a bag. When you do replace it, it has a plastic slide down cover over the fill hole which makes it wonderful for containing dirt and dust as you just toss the bag in the trash. The bags are a very heavy fabric material and excellent quality. The scheduling feature is also great. Plus being able to send it to specific areas that may need attention is also helpful.

What I don’t like and find frustrating is how very often it fails to complete a scheduled clean for one reason or another. I work from home and have dogs so I have it scheduled to clean about a 400 Sf area in my home every morning before we get up. That’s so people and dogs aren’t in the way, but far too many times it ends up the vac never even got started with the job, citing lack of charge most often. The message on the app will suggest that I need to clean the charging plates on the vac and base, even if I just completed doing it! Another drawback to me is the time it takes to clean. I have it set for single pass cleaning in order to reduce the time it takes, but it still can take a total of 2 hrs because of it having to return to its base to recharge.

I’ve had a Neato robot vac for about 6 yrs. It doesn’t have the automatic empty feature but in all other ways is much more superior. It cleans my upper bedroom level of 1200 Sf set on a “turbo” deep clean, and completes it in much less time than the iRobot takes to do a “single pass” clean of 400 sf. Plus the Neato vac doesn’t use “photo” technology to map your floor plan, as the iRobot does, so it can operate in total darkness. That’s not the case with iRobot, it can only operate in daylight or with lights on in the areas to be cleaned. Would I buy an iRobot again? No I definitely wouldn’t unless they made improvements in the major drawback areas, like battery life, cleaning time, and mapping. Neato’s latest vac is so far superior in every way except for not having an automatic empty feature. All things considered, I’d rather empty & clean a bin once a week, like I do for my Neato, than have all the other drawbacks with my iRobot i7.

Original review: June 8, 2022

Roomba malfunctioned a few seconds after leaving the base because it encountered a chair. I can’t remove all furniture from the house each time I need it to vacuum. I have been on hold with “customer care” with some extremely obnoxious repeat tones for 20 min. Obviously there isn’t going to be great service. Very dissatisfied!

Original review: March 29, 2022

I returned the items on time in December. For some reason, I was refunded only half of the cost after almost three weeks of waiting. Today is almost the end of March and I have not been returned the rest. Almost every week I get a standard response from them: "An unexpected system error was encountered. We have escalated the system issues to our Technical Management support team to process a credit for the order number ** on your behalf". I have never encountered such terrible customer service in my life. They should to rename their department to customerUNcare. It feels like iRobot.com is a scam website. Unfortunately, I will not use products from iRobot because of this attitude to customers, and I do not advise others.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

I regret spending my >$1k hard-earned money on Roomba iRobot s9. The company is hyped, but the products are subpar. Regretfully, no-name Chinese robots for $100 from Alibaba are better products. Robot vacuums suppose to save time, but iRobots don't. Roomba just doesn't have the expertise in AI. They fake AI with some mid-20th-century workarounds, but this is not the same. Hence Roomba robots are dysfunctional, and you will spend your life supervising these vacuums like a bunch of misbehaving toddlers. Get a cheap robot vacuum on Amazon and spend the saved 90% of your money to enjoy life. Thank me later.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

Where do we start! Basically there isn’t any, every time I have called in you can tell it is scripted, (we will get in touch within 24 to 48 hours.) we bought the 4yr extended warranty but didn’t actually get it but we got confirmation e-mail but were never charged so wife bought the 2 year on the app by accident, so we have been asking to cancel it and buy the 4yr, now check it out we want to spend more money but they won’t refund the other which they say has been approved, they just keep saying THEY (who the hell is THEY) can’t get that answer either, so anyway I call every Saturday or Sunday at opening time otherwise you can’t get through,

It has been five weeks so I have 5 names that have all failed to get my return taken care of so I can spend more which now I doubt I will, why would I after I have seen first hand that there is no real customer service, imagine if I actually had a problem with my robot. I bought the S9+ I do like the robot it does a good job and am happy with it however if you need customer service help forget it. They could learn a lot from that company with a Apple logo don’t want to use their real name LOL.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

I bought a robot from iRobot directly on October 21, 2021 and decided to return it without opening it. I called their customer care. It took several calls just to have them send me a return label. After I finally got it returned to them, it took several calls for them to say that they would send me a refund even after they admitted that they received the product back. It is three months later and I'm still waiting. They said they gave me a refund but my credit card was never credited. They have since closed my case. I'm having to reopen a case with them. I've almost given up hope of getting my money back. NEVER buy directly from them. You will be out a good deal of money with nothing to show for it if you need to return an item.

iRobot author review by Sandy Baker

iRobot is an American robotics manufacturer founded in 1990. The Roomba is one of several autonomous cleaners made by the company.

• Advanced technology: iRobot continues to improve its Roomba vacuums to clean more effectively.

• Convenient cleaning: The Roomba is an autonomous vacuum robot that docks and recharges itself between cleanings.

• Prevents jams: Brushless extractors help prevent tangles that can jam most vacuum cleaners.

• Responsive navigation: The Roomba responsive navigation technology helps it clean houses of all sizes and shapes.

• Scheduled cleaning: Owners can program the iRobot Roomba to clean their homes on a preset schedule.

by Sandy Baker Contributing Writer

Sandy Baker has written for ConsumerAffairs since 2021. Along with the advice and information her articles provide to consumers, she’s written several books that focus on topics such as retirement planning, bankruptcy, business finance, estate planning and personal credit health.

iRobot Company Information