2. Homeowners
  3. Vacuum Cleaners

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.82/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

IRobot is a technology company that specializes in autonomous robots that clean inside and outside the home. Designed with ease and performance in mind, their products include four Roomba vacuum models, two Braava mops and the Mirra pool cleaner.

iRobot Reviews

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

We have looked at these for a while and asked all the questions. We dropped the hint and got the Roomba 980 for Christmas. Well... it cleans some rooms really well. So far it has never found the master bedroom on the same floor on the same level. When we get home, we have to go look for it as it is usually dead somewhere. Our home is only 1500 Sq ft on the one floor and it does not last long enough to clean it. What happened to "it will run until the battery is low and then find its way back to the base to recharge". They also said it would return to base to recharge and then finish cleaning on it own. Well ours does not do that. We were also told you can use the app to mop and clean the rooms. No. It only tells you where the unit has been. Only the $1400 i7 unit will allow you to tell what rooms to clean. We asked if we could return it to upgrade to the unit that does what we were told initially.

Again the answer was no. "You can sell it in the paper and then buy the new one." Hmmm. Also it is also fairly noisy, as loud as the old upright and much louder than a built in. It is much too loud to run with the tv on or in the evenings. I guess it is the salesman's job to push products, but this is a real big disappointment. For $800+ dollars I expected much more. We are trying to sell it now and don't think we will replace it with another disappointing model. The concept is great and it does clean some area well, but not the house.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

It's taken 3 days to go thru the returns process to get our Roomba replaced due to a recurring error 15 message that prevents the device from working, then they tell me to expect my replacement device in 10 business days. What a rip off. Wouldn't recommend the Roomba to anyone. David.

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I have had this for 30 days and it is getting worse every day. Now it runs for about 5 minutes then returns home. It runs a routine about 3 times and starts flashing. It is fully charged, its bin is clean, it is just not doing the job anymore. Very disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

When you call them for a we phone the only talk to one person. No escalation. No manager. And they have no clue of when they give you a refund. You have to wait up to 30 days. What a joke. You would think they would do better than this. I will not buy another product from them because of it.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

BUYER BEWARE. S9 flagship breaks after 6 months. They sent 3 replacements. All malfunctioned out of the box. MY SAME ISSUE ALL OVER AMAZON REVIEWS BBB AND CONSUMER REPORTS. Mine has red ring of death. Multiple errors on each new/refurbished replacement. Not to mention overpriced wearable items. Was a huge fan for the convenience. Now it's an overpriced inconvenience. Just vacuum yourself or hire a maid monthly. It's cheaper or comparable in price.

Customer service will leave you behind 1500 for a brick. Still in warranty. Replacement all malfunction on or shortly after arrival. Basically told me to deal with it. Grabbed my cash and ran. I'm all for paying for innovation and convenience. I love supporting a good business. They are all sunshine and rainbows until you have an issue with their product. These guys are a serious let down. Look at their stock. It reflects their dropping of ball.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about iRobot?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

While the i7 worked initially, it requires weeks of learning to fully map your house. After three weeks I started to experience issues with the i7 not automatically docking or charging. When I contacted customer service they convinced me the i7 was still learning my house, and this was normal. After weeks the situation never improved and now I’m stuck with a $900 vacuum that doesn’t want to charge and is out of the 30 day money back guarantee. I believe the i7 technology is flawed. While iRobot offers to send me a replacement unit, they will not refund my money or extend their 1 year warranty. Why would I want another i7 if it’s unreliable and doesn’t hold up to their companies product commitment. Save your money, don’t buy from this company.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

We have owned the i7 with docking station less than 3 months. The robot is out of control. I noticed all the issues right away in person but my husband didn't seem to believe me because he was believing the mapping app (that's complete bs). Right away the robot was extremely fast and loud! When I say fast I mean fast. It never slowed down. It hit walls, furniture and cabinets full force. Everything the item hit is damaged. I'm a stay at home mother so I see this vacuum so called clean. The robot is all over the place. It never fully cleans a room or goes in a line, but on your phone it shows a completed room. We have a very open concept home. The robot can not clean itself. I have to empty the bin. It can never find its way home. I have to place it on the dock. The robot will randomly die. It doesn't matter if it's charged a whole night or a few hours. It's charge is unreliable.

The robot must have every light on to clean. The robot can not handle dark products like a rug. It freaks out. Recently my robot has decided to go in circles until it dies. I can't get any help from iRobot. All they do is tell me to reboot my robot. I'll get a call asking if my issues are fixed. Even when I reply no nothing is better, I'm told I'll call in a few days to see if it's resolved! What really? I don't recommend this company. It's a waste of 1,000 dollars. I plan on buying a Shark robot.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I purchased this machine hoping it would do what it said. Wrong. I found it would never fully charge & when I approached the Co. on this matter I was informed I needed a new battery, which I duly purchased. As I expected this made no difference whatsoever as the machine still only ran for approx. 20 mins before stopping. I contacted the Co. again and was told to send the machine down to them but of course there would be a service charge. Paid this charge. Received the machine back. They said they had tested it & all was ok. Reckoned it ran for 2 hours. Tried charging it for 12 hrs straight. Now runs for 10 minutes then stops & has to be manually re-started then goes over the same floor space as before. Have had to go back to manually washing my large kitchen/dining room floors as I am not prepared to throw more good money after bad trying to get this machine working correctly.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I've had my Roomba for a little over one year. Tried to get it hooked up to my new wifi and no success. I even had my wifi provider turn off the 5 ghz. Leaving only the 2.4 on. After many phone conversations AND waiting over a week for a return call, from iRobot support, I was told "out of warranty, too bad". Buy another one. NOT FOR THAT KIND OF MONEY!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

The Roomba would not stay connected to our WiFi and the Roomba cloud. Worked with customer service for almost two weeks (hours on the phone and multiple emails). Customer service continued to blame our WiFi and kept having us try different things all to no avail. Finally we just wanted it replaced..They did not want to replace it...Wanted to elevate the issue which they did 3 times. Currently they are still working on the issue, and since I purchased it through Amazon, I am now packing it up and it goes back tomorrow. NO replacement wanted now! Horrible experience!

Not sure about iRobot?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Vacuum Cleaners for you.

iRobot expert review by ConsumerAffairs

iRobot is an American robotics manufacturer founded in 1990. The Roomba is one of several autonomous cleaners made by the company.

• Advanced technology: iRobot continues to improve its Roomba vacuums to clean more effectively.

• Convenient cleaning: The Roomba is an autonomous vacuum robot that docks and recharges itself between cleanings.

• Prevents jams: Brushless extractors help prevent tangles that can jam most vacuum cleaners.

• Responsive navigation: The Roomba responsive navigation technology helps it clean houses of all sizes and shapes.

• Scheduled cleaning: Owners can program the iRobot Roomba to clean their homes on a preset schedule.

• Best for: iRobot's Roomba is a good option for homeowners and renters who value convenience.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team