1.91/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

iRobot

IRobot is a technology company that specializes in autonomous robots that clean inside and outside the home. Designed with ease and performance in mind, their products include four Roomba vacuum models, two Braava mops and the Mirra pool cleaner.

Quit paying for costly home repairs

96 iRobot Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 14, 2019

I love my Roomba and am so impressed with iRobot's customer service. I have a dog that sheds SO much and having the iRobot has provided much needed relief. I used to have to get out my vacuum for a major cleaning every day due to all the hair on the floor. Now, I run the Roomba daily and will only get out the big vacuum about once a week. It's been so helpful. No, it's not perfect, but it definitely does a great job at grabbing dust/dirt and dog hair.

Now, on the customer service front. I had a nightmare scenario (a good warning to all pet owners) where I ran the Roomba while we were out for a very long time and little did I know, our dog ended up having an accident in the house. Without getting into specifics, we came home to a complete disaster! (Use your imagination.) My husband tried to clean the vacuum and it just completely stopped working.

I called iRobot to see if I could just buy a new vacuum and the rep was incredibly kind and asked me why I needed a new one. When I (embarrassingly) explained our scenario, I was told iRobot would send me a new robot free of charge since it was still under warranty. I figured since it was my fault, there would be no way they would offer me a new one. So, it was such a pleasant surprise to learn that they would help me out, especially since these things are NOT cheap! P.S.- This is my first review EVER. I just had to share my experience because I am that impressed with both the company and the vacuum.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I have had my iRobot for a year now and love it. I have three dogs and three cats and it picks up all the hair. It saves me a lot of time cleaning. I had some problems with mine and the customer service was great. I just emailed them and they got back to me right away. They ended up replacing it. Have nothing but good to say about my Roomba! Great Product and Great Customer Service.

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

We really love our iRobot 980. It does a great job keeping our floors clean. The only thing I have a problem with is the marks it leaves on my furniture legs. There needs to be a bumper guard on the edge to protect from marking up furniture.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

I am very frustrated with my customer support experience. The s9+ is fantastic when it works. I purchased from Amazon and it ran like a champ for the first couple of weeks. Then for some unknown reason it would not function. Maybe my first customer support experience set my expectations too high as the associate was fantastic. He listened to the problem and then sent me a text to video the error. In a matter of moments he fired up a replacement Roomba.

Unfortunately it all went downhill from there. My new Roomba arrived promptly however after switching out batteries and setting up Rosie 2.0, she only made it about 5 feet and stopped, giving me error 31 and telling me to reboot. I feel like I’ve spent the last week crossing my fingers, rebooting and then setting back up to no avail. I gave up today. I was really hoping to avoid switching out batteries and setting up a another Roomba however since error code 31 doesn’t actually seem to exist no matter how frantically I scoured the web, had to break down and call customer support.

The agent listened to the issue and then wanted to do the video thing. Unfortunately this agent didn’t seem to be aware of the work around that allows it to work with iPhone. I don’t think she believed me when I advised this had been achieved with the previous agent and did not seem inclined to investigate further. She indicated that since there was no video option they would have to escalate and someone would get back to me within the next 24 to 48 hours. Keep in mind she was able to verify error code 31 because she heard it audibly. I asked her to escalate at least twice and got nowhere. I was informed that the office was closed and the Supes were not available. I know how this works, they were there but did not want to take the call. Supes don’t leave when they have reps on the phone.

I have a Roomba because I work a lot but enjoy a clean home and scheduling a vacuum daily or more frequently is a wonderful feature. I do not have time to sit on the phone with someone that is not willing to make an effort. Keep in mind I also bought the new M6 but haven’t been able to take advantage of the piggy back feature since Rosie is out for the count. I’ve got poor Mosie on standby. So now I have 2 Roombas that don’t work and apparently I get to sit by the phone for the next 48 hours in hopes that someone from your organization calls me.

All I wanted was another replacement Roomba, I’ve got to sent the original back within 15 days and time is running out. How a video of me pressing a button for 20 seconds and then attempting to clean AGAIN and then getting the dreaded error 31 AGAIN is the only option for first call resolution is beyond me. As I previously advised in this rant the agent confirmed she HEARD the error. I would like this resolved but I’m not feeling hopeful. This is about the 3rd Roomba I’ve had (there was a Neato in there somewhere as well). Just have your team send me a replacement and do something about this iPhone issue. Susan Phone number is **. Email is **.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

Do not opt for the 2 day shipping from this company. It's a waste of money! The standard shipping is 6-10 business days and is free. The 2 day shipping is an additional $32.00. I ordered an i7 on Aug 9 2019, that was a Friday and was mid day. So I expected the order to process on Monday the 12th and arrive the Wednesday the 14th... Well it's now the 14th and the order still hasn't left the warehouse! I called to ask why it hadn't left yet when I clearly paid for 2 day shipping. I was told that processing is 2-3 business days and 2 day shipping is 2-3 business days. Hmmm that's not 2 day shipping at all.

I was then told that the order would arrive Wednesday The 21st.. that is 13 days from the time of order, 8 business days not counting the day I ordered it. I was not even offered a refund on the shipping. 2 day shipping, more like 2 week shipping. In this day and age with Amazon offering same day, 1 & 2 day shipping for free and it always gets there on time. This company better get its logistics together and quit charging customers for bogus shipping times!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about iRobot?

Original review: July 14, 2019

We have had our iRobot for quite some time. It most certainly does not meet my expectations. First of all, it randomly stops when the bin needs emptying in the middle of a room instead of returning home. Sometimes it does return home. And when it does stop in the middle of the room, it is not because the batteries need recharging. Secondly, it seems a bit dumb on occasions. When it runs into our sofa, sometimes (but not all of the time) it can't seem to figure out that it can't get under it... But it just keeps trying -- and gets stuck and we have to manually move it.

Next: When we empty the bin (when it has stopped in the middle of a room) it can't seem to remember where it has been and goes back over places it has already cleaned. This may be a great product for closed off rectangular rooms with not much complicated furnishing, but it sure is very manually intensive for our home. I know lots of people love this product, but I would not be on that list.

Original review: July 9, 2019

Cannot mop house due to getting stuck. Won't mop house. It takes all day to vacuum due to having to recharge every hour then it forgets where it left off, then it goes back and vacuums where it's already vacuumed. Does not clean for 2 hrs. Has to be recharged x 3-4 to finish house. I'm not sure it doesn't take more charges because when I go to bed I hear it coming off charger and trying to clean again. Get stuck multiple times in cleaning house. Each time Roomba company wants you to buy their virtual wall barriers that are 50 bucks a piece to fix the problem with their equipment, it would take 6 for my house. Roomba does not vacuum dark carpet. Does not clean very good even along walls. Does a poor job of cleaning even with me keeping the bend empty. I called Roomba customer service multiple many times, spent hours on phone with them and they all came to the same conclusion that this is how it operates!!!

Original review: July 2, 2019

We purchased the iRobot mop directly from the vendor's website. We were dissatisfied with the product and wanted a refund. The company first tried to deter us from returning the product by giving us random suggestions of how to make it work differently. We got frustrated when we noticed that they were trying to NOT give us the refund so we simply said we want a refund. The company then told us that our correspondence has exceeded more than a month so therefore we don't get a refund! At best they can try to send us another one. The company swindled us out of our money and we think other's should be vigilant when buying this product.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I used 4 Roomba until now and 2 of them still working. But Roomba 800 series is most awful. Poor quality. The trash bin is the biggest problem. I changed 2 already. What is more, the back frame is broken also and Amazon charged $79.99. I am considering to change parts? As if so, the total spare parts costs more than $200.00 But my old 5/6 serious still working, without any replacing. I hate 800 serious. I just wonder who stupid guy designed 800 series? Or he intended to do so, just let our customers buy parts often?

Original review: June 11, 2019

At first I like the i7 because of its novelty and the ability to do a pretty good job vacuuming. However my Roomba constantly got stuck and clogged and it just wasn’t suitable for the floor plan of my house. My house is a little bit older and therefore not an open floor plan and it had plenty of room divisions and it was difficult for the Roomba to learn how to map the house. In addition the company says you have 30 days to return the item, and I did return mine three weeks in.

However, it took over a week to get to the return facility and they are telling me I’m still responsible for paying the financing on it. However the financing Company, a firm, will only credit the card account and not reimburse my bank account so I basically be out $200 for the first payment. I told him I wasn’t paying and I think their policy stinks since there’s a barcode on the return label. Once that thing gets returned and scanned I should be able to have a refund. That’s how Amazon does it and it works very well. I just think these people are very difficult to deal with and the machine is way overpriced for what it is.

iRobot expert review by ConsumerAffairs

iRobot is an American robotics manufacturer founded in 1990. The Roomba is one of several autonomous cleaners made by the company.

• Advanced technology: iRobot continues to improve its Roomba vacuums to clean more effectively.

• Convenient cleaning: The Roomba is an autonomous vacuum robot that docks and recharges itself between cleanings.

• Prevents jams: Brushless extractors help prevent tangles that can jam most vacuum cleaners.

• Responsive navigation: The Roomba responsive navigation technology helps it clean houses of all sizes and shapes.

• Scheduled cleaning: Owners can program the iRobot Roomba to clean their homes on a preset schedule.

• Best for: iRobot's Roomba is a good option for homeowners and renters who value convenience.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs