3.0/5 (105 ratings)

About iRobot

IRobot is a technology company that specializes in autonomous robots that clean inside and outside the home. Designed with ease and performance in mind, their products include four Roomba vacuum models, two Braava mops and the Mirra pool cleaner.

iRobot Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about iRobot?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about iRobot?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

Bought it from QVC about a week and half ago. So excited about it because of the great deal I was getting price wise. Got it yesterday. Hooked it up today and it was really simple to set up. That was great! But then oh so very disappointing when it didn’t suction. All it did was collect dirt and dander and hair all over the body of it. I called the customer help line and waiting an hour when initially the wait time was seven to ten minutes for a customer rep to attend to me. Nobody ever answered my call. I’m pretty good at trouble shooting and am always eager to find the problem if I can, especially if it’s something I did wrong. I’m confident I set this up completely and correctly and in the end I ended up receiving a defective robot. What a let down! Purchase at your own risk. Make sure you don’t throw out your boxes that it came in. This is a big financial purchase so beware! And shame on QVC for endorsing. My bad all the way around.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2022

Terrible vacuum!! It barely works and won’t dock itself 90% of the time. Usually, I start it when I leave for work in the morning. Before I even get to work it has already had some type of error so it stops vacuuming. It gets stuck in the middle of the room on absolutely nothing then it runs out of battery because it wasn’t on the dock all day. When I get home, I can’t start it because the battery is dead so I put it on the dock to charge. It gets just enough battery to turn on then it undocks itself and just sits next to the base until it dies again, it’s ridiculous. When I’m home on the weekends and I run it I literally have to fix it 20-30 times before it will complete the whole house. Waste of money for sure!

Get buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2022

iRobot Case Number: **

Case Subject: **

Purchased in Nov 2021. Failed August 2022.

Messaged online to Customer Support and got a response after 1 month. Thereafter no further response. Tried to call many times on ALL their Customer Support number. Announcement said wait time is more than half an hour. Waited 2 hours & got no response. Asked for call back several times and got no response. So it seems like a $349 ripoff.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

On September 23, 2022 I sent customer service a note about our vacuum not working. Here is the response I got from them the same day: "Thank you for contacting iRobot Customer support. We will respond to your message within one to two working days." I have yet to hear from them and it's October 12, 2022.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

Terrible. Terrible equipment, service, longevity. I purchased two iRobots for my home, one upstairs, one downstairs. Both the heads went out within 6 months 7 months. I called the service line that just gave me a runaround, could not get any help. The part to replace it is almost $200 for each one. The same module head went out on both. Complete junk. I would never buy another, unfortunately family member purchased one during the 6 months that ours actually ran. And they are having the same problem. Stay as far away as you can from this product.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

The battery is getting old and needs replacement, wanting a good one we buy from iRobot. What a mistake, they no longer stock the replacement for older units, and charge you a $100 for a later model battery that doesn't charge in your previously perfectly working machine. A normal clean indicator light has a soft glowing pulse to the light, mine now blinks quickly. NEITHER of the 2 technical service guys knew that is a trouble light, and require counting to diagnose the problem. Technical services have been moved to Latin America, they are clueless. Look like original battery is on Amazon for 20 bucks, hope it works. You pay a premium for Roomba's, no longer worth it!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

Loved the machine but then it quit charging and told me I needed a new battery. I ordered a new battery from the company and installed it and still the same error message that it's not charging and to get a replacement battery. I am going to order from a different company since I cannot get any response from iRobot.

Original review: July 25, 2022

After literally years of thinking how great it would be to get a Roomba, I finally buckled and bought an i7. I might as well have burned my money. In short, this thing has not worked properly since day 1.

It:

- Won't reliably dock

- Gets itself stuck all the time

- Suction is not great, and has never been

- Often decides there is something wrong with one of its wheels. This is not the case, because not only have I played their games with the "maintenance and cleaning" and found nothing wrong, I've also started testing it by triggering the sensors (just flip over and push the wheel) to convince it that I did "clean" it, and it works fine after that.

- Many times when it gets stuck, it will try to force its way out, and push my furniture around. For example, one day it got stuck, I went to "rescue it", and it had pushed my dining room chair about 7 feet trying to... IDK what?? Force its way out? Break my furniture? No joke. I'm sitting here thinking "Well, you got yourself in there, why didn't you just back out exactly the way you came???"

Their "customer service" is truly awful. You're going to hold for at least 20 minutes (usually 40+), no matter what time of day you call. Then they connect you to someone who just doesn't give a fig, and you're going to have to talk to them for at least 30 minutes. So there's an hour+ of your day gone. Their "support" made me run through all sorts of hoops for "troubleshooting" which was a joke. It was nothing more than basic maintenance stuff you can easily find online, and which I had already been keeping up with. Then they talked me into believing their nonsense that "it just has to learn more, it will get better." Like an idiot, I believed that. Then I realized they conveniently did that to get me to wait long enough so I couldn't return it.

Many angry calls later, they started promising me they would send me a replacement robot. Nothing. Crickets. I got no replacement. Now I'm back again with them, and they "escalated" my issues, and claimed once again that they would indeed get the replacement out to me. That was on 7/19/2022. They claimed I would get an email with shipping/tracking by Friday 7/22/2022. Guess what???? I got nothing. Here it is, 7/25/2022 with still no help and my money has been swindled away from me... and now I'm here telling all of you to save your money and just use a regular vacuum.

Original review: July 18, 2022

This robot is completely useless, the navigation is terrible, it doesn't know where it is half of the time, I've seen it bang in a wall for 30 seconds in a row before deciding to turn around and finally giving up. When it works, it doesn't even clean correctly and takes over 2 hours for something I can do in 15 minutes. And the customer "service" is the worst, completely useless, same as the robot. Buy Roborock instead, cheaper and it works great.

Original review: June 30, 2022

There’s features about this vacuum that I really love and appreciate, like the automatic empty. It’s my favorite because it can take as long as a month before having to replace a bag. When you do replace it, it has a plastic slide down cover over the fill hole which makes it wonderful for containing dirt and dust as you just toss the bag in the trash. The bags are a very heavy fabric material and excellent quality. The scheduling feature is also great. Plus being able to send it to specific areas that may need attention is also helpful.

What I don’t like and find frustrating is how very often it fails to complete a scheduled clean for one reason or another. I work from home and have dogs so I have it scheduled to clean about a 400 Sf area in my home every morning before we get up. That’s so people and dogs aren’t in the way, but far too many times it ends up the vac never even got started with the job, citing lack of charge most often. The message on the app will suggest that I need to clean the charging plates on the vac and base, even if I just completed doing it! Another drawback to me is the time it takes to clean. I have it set for single pass cleaning in order to reduce the time it takes, but it still can take a total of 2 hrs because of it having to return to its base to recharge.

I’ve had a Neato robot vac for about 6 yrs. It doesn’t have the automatic empty feature but in all other ways is much more superior. It cleans my upper bedroom level of 1200 Sf set on a “turbo” deep clean, and completes it in much less time than the iRobot takes to do a “single pass” clean of 400 sf. Plus the Neato vac doesn’t use “photo” technology to map your floor plan, as the iRobot does, so it can operate in total darkness. That’s not the case with iRobot, it can only operate in daylight or with lights on in the areas to be cleaned. Would I buy an iRobot again? No I definitely wouldn’t unless they made improvements in the major drawback areas, like battery life, cleaning time, and mapping. Neato’s latest vac is so far superior in every way except for not having an automatic empty feature. All things considered, I’d rather empty & clean a bin once a week, like I do for my Neato, than have all the other drawbacks with my iRobot i7.

iRobot author review by Sandy Baker

iRobot is an American robotics manufacturer founded in 1990. The Roomba is one of several autonomous cleaners made by the company.

• Advanced technology: iRobot continues to improve its Roomba vacuums to clean more effectively.

• Convenient cleaning: The Roomba is an autonomous vacuum robot that docks and recharges itself between cleanings.

• Prevents jams: Brushless extractors help prevent tangles that can jam most vacuum cleaners.

• Responsive navigation: The Roomba responsive navigation technology helps it clean houses of all sizes and shapes.

• Scheduled cleaning: Owners can program the iRobot Roomba to clean their homes on a preset schedule.

by Sandy Baker Contributing Writer

Sandy Baker has written for ConsumerAffairs since 2021. Along with the advice and information her articles provide to consumers, she’s written several books that focus on topics such as retirement planning, bankruptcy, business finance, estate planning and personal credit health.

iRobot Company Information