2. Homeowners
  3. Vacuum Cleaners

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.41/5

IRobot is a technology company that specializes in autonomous robots that clean inside and outside the home. Designed with ease and performance in mind, their products include four Roomba vacuum models, two Braava mops and the Mirra pool cleaner.

iRobot Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about iRobot?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about iRobot?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

I recently purchased an S9+ bundle for my parents for Christmas to help with cleaning their home during the pandemic. The S9+ arrived and after its first run, started getting stuck every 2 feet, reporting "Error 31". I contacted customer service to look how to resolve the issue, and was quickly informed that given that the warranty was "void". They could not replace the unit. I inquired what steps I could take to have it repaired and was promptly informed "we currently do NOT repair the S9+ and since the warranty is void, there is nothing we can do for you". I don't understand how a company can get away with taking customers' money (1500 USD paid), and then have the serenity to simply leave them hanging out to dry without even trying to work to a compromise or solution for a customer willing to pay for repair. Their robot vacuum is a bad product, and their customer service is garbage. Stay away.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

Roomba performed unsatisfactorily by first taking forever to map my area, second, not picking up what it should & third started ignoring the mapped areas. This item was way too expensive for this type of inferior performance. Do not buy it if you care about the cleanliness of your home. It really doesn’t save time if you have to go behind it with a normal vacuum cleaner to pick up what it leaves behind. I have read the reviews from other people who have had a horrible time with the company’s representatives and have decided that this is just another incidence of a lesson learned; if it sounds too good it probably is! Just threw a whole bunch of money away!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

I buy a Braava 380 online at the Hudson Bay Department store on Nov 26, 2020. The wet mop works perfectly well until Dec 24, 2020. The tread on the wheels comes off and online reviews indicate this as a common problem. But it usually happens after 1 year or even 3. So I call the tech support at iRobot and subsequently asked to send purchase receipt, photo, clip of video for verification. I receive a call today, Dec 26, 2020 advising iRobot will not honor the warranty.

The machine needs to be replaced, I am advised. But they only honour warranty when the product is bought from its authorized dealer. How would I know details about this warranty. In fact, the Bay is not a small, random store. I am told to follow up with the Bay and they cannot confirm if the product can be exchanged. So 1) I don't understand why my Braava 380 wheels are having problems in 1 month and 2) iRobot only honour its warranty when product is bought at its authorized dealers.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

My partner was given a Roomba 671 as a gift. Not to be outclassed, I bought one on sale at Canadian Tire. When I set mine up, it made a constant “click, click” sound. I remember following it around trying to determine where it was coming come. Ever tried to follow a robot around while lying in your side listening for clicks? I was trying to see if the sound was emanating from the inside (motor, transmission, drive system, etc.) or external (rotating brush, wheels). I determined it was the rotating brush by removing it. When I removed the brush, there were abrasion marks on the body where the brush made contact. This was the source of the “click, click” obviously. I took off the brush and voila the clicking stopped! The problem was isolated by me having spent at least an hour trying to figure it out.

My next step was to contact customer service. I ended up following the unit around once again, this time with my telephone as I videoed the clicking robot. Of course, due the limitations of the phone’s microphone, the rep. couldn’t hear the sound. However, they did send a new brush. When it arrived, it had a different screw head than the one that came with the robot. Was the wrong brush attached to my unit? In any case, the original brush was malformed with globs of glue where the brushes attach to the rigid arms. Very poor quality... As for my partner’s unit, when I examined the underside in the course of cleaning, I noticed that one screw which attaches the base to the top was not even tightened.

From above I would conclude:

1. Build quality is subpar, making me wonder how long these things will last;

2. Units are not tested as they leave the factory: The clicking sound was obvious as was the malformed brush as was the loose screw in my partner’s unit;

3. I spent MY time (several hours) solving THEIR manufacturing/quality control problems.

I wish I had asked for compensation now...

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

We had our (Remi) on training mode going all day until 8:30pm and in over one week he’s only at 25% completed. Are you kidding me? He was in 25% 2.5 days ago and the percent complete didn’t budge 1% point in 2.5 days?!?! WTH? I don’t have a year to wait for this thing to learn my floor plan. I needed it to get done so I could program certain rooms to be clean on certain days and block him from problem areas. Perhaps they will be able to get smarter FASTER and learn 2600 sq. ft. Which isn’t (that big). When it improves I might try again. Till then, I can’t commit to this product and constantly checking on it it to see where it is, is it stuck etc. Super disappointed and now I sit and wait for my prepaid shipping label to ship Remi back. RIP Remi.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

My Roomba 960, purchased 10-7-20, started dying on the way to the charging base on 11-2-20… Less than 1 month old then intermittently from that point on. I have been in contact with iRobot via phone & email numerous times and finally talked to a representative; who, after reviewing my account & numerous emails relative to the issue, acknowledged, what I already knew, the battery was failing. He said he was sending out a battery. He asked for contact/shipping information and concluded the call. I never got the battery or acknowledgement of one being shipped.

I emailed, asking for the information and was told that there was no record of the conversation and no need to send a battery because the situation was resolved. What a scam! I’ve wasted countless hours trying to resolve this simple issue only to conclude that I will never get a resolution from iRobot. I have every email saved as evidence but unfortunately the phone conversations "disappear".

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

Bought the e5 the first of October 2020. Bought direct from the company. Worked great for the first month. Then started leaving twists of dog hair on the carpets. Worked better on uncarpeted floors but progressively got worse. Cleaning the rollers didn't help. Changing filters didn't help. Then began my saga of dealing with their customer service. After pestering them for replies and running some tests they determined a new roller assembly was needed. Was told it would fix the problem. Waited several weeks for it to show up. Apparently many customers need a roller assembly replacement. It worked better for about 2 weeks. I just ran it through 2 carpeted rooms and it picked up nothing. Ran my Shark Rocket after and it picked up plenty.

The product is trash. Their warranty requirements are such to discourage claims. Rating firms buy these new out of the box, use them for a week and rate how good they are. They need to use them for 2 months and then rate the product. Also if you just have to buy one, get it from a retailer with an generous return policy. Don't buy direct from iRobot.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

iRobot has the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I bought a Roomba i7+ ($1000 at the time) that quit working in like 6 months. Due to being in a basic training academy, I was unable to get it repaired within warranty. Approximately a month ago, I called and spoke to a representative, who assured me that I would receive a return call in 24 to 48 hours in reference to scheduling a repair. After waiting 10 days for the return call, I decided that I would call them back and immediately requested to speak with a supervisor.

I spoke with the supervisor, who decided that it would be a great idea to give me complementary trashbags for the inconvenience for a unit that does not work. The supervisor also advised me that she would expedite my request for the repair and would receive a callback within 24 hours. Here it is two weeks later and still no callback. I reached back out to them and again requested to speak with a supervisor immediately. This supervisor basically read from the same Q-card, advising that she would give complementary trashbags and that I would receive a callback within 24 hours.

Well needless to say, I did not fall for this trick the second time. Upon advising that there was nothing further that she could do, I requested to speak to a manager. Conveniently, they did not have a manager available and advised that a manager would give a return call. This is utterly ridiculous. I expect so much more out of a company that expects people to spend $500 and more on their product. But in return, the customers are treated very poorly. After realizing that their customer service has a 2-star rating with over 2 million reviews, I guess I cannot expect anything any different.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

I have had my iRobot for about 3 months before a piece broke off the vacuum. I contacted customer service and the agent attempted to send me a wrong replacement item until I argued with them that the particular damaged item cannot be taken off the vacuum. I sent several pictures of the damage and they still attempted to send me the wrong item. Then, they said they would send me another replacement item that requires me to take apart the robot and try to fix the product myself.

The agent that I talked to had no idea how I replace the damaged item, so no guidance was given to me on how to repair. Lastly, the part that was ordered is on back order so who knows how long my expensive robot will be sitting, unable to be used. As long as I have had the product, they should’ve offered to replace the whole robot due to this one being defective. Now I have an expensive paperweight that I will have to repair myself, that no one was able to tell me how I repair and have to sit around until the back ordered replacement parts arrive. Very dissatisfied.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

I purchased the 6 series in February. I am not returning my third iRobot. The first issued was the side sweeper would not work. The second time was the cliff sensor activated. It's only used for downstairs. Now, the third issue is it will not charge. Each time they have to send me a box, so I can ship it to them and they send me a new one, because they cannot fix the problem. So in the nine months I have had it, three months have been shipping the broken one and getting a new one. They use the cheapest shipping possible, so I take a week to week and a half to receive anything.

iRobot Company Information