1.90/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

iRobot

IRobot is a technology company that specializes in autonomous robots that clean inside and outside the home. Designed with ease and performance in mind, their products include four Roomba vacuum models, two Braava mops and the Mirra pool cleaner.

Quit paying for costly home repairs

97 iRobot Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 11, 2019

At first I like the i7 because of its novelty and the ability to do a pretty good job vacuuming. However my Roomba constantly got stuck and clogged and it just wasn’t suitable for the floor plan of my house. My house is a little bit older and therefore not an open floor plan and it had plenty of room divisions and it was difficult for the Roomba to learn how to map the house. In addition the company says you have 30 days to return the item, and I did return mine three weeks in.

However, it took over a week to get to the return facility and they are telling me I’m still responsible for paying the financing on it. However the financing Company, a firm, will only credit the card account and not reimburse my bank account so I basically be out $200 for the first payment. I told him I wasn’t paying and I think their policy stinks since there’s a barcode on the return label. Once that thing gets returned and scanned I should be able to have a refund. That’s how Amazon does it and it works very well. I just think these people are very difficult to deal with and the machine is way overpriced for what it is.

Original review: May 29, 2019

Bought a Braava unit and found out straight from the get go that the thing would just not charge. Went on their website to figure out that the error code given says «charging issue». Called the customer service. They told me the battery is dead. I need to buy a new one. Told them I wouldn’t pay to get a new unit working but they won’t do a thing saying basically that because I bought it from a grand surface which they don’t know of (of course they’re in US and I’m in Canada) it was my fault to buy it from that store and if I had bought it from Amazon they would honour the warranty but now they won’t. The guy at the customer service would just keep on repeating the same refrain whatever I would say. So they’re willing to sully their name for a 60$ battery. It is a shame. Never saw a company being so arrogant with such a mediocre customer service. They clearly are not worth your money. Get something else from a company that cares about its customers.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I bought an iRobot vacuum from their website. I was expecting the item to be delivered today and nothing came. I received an email saying the package was delivered. I call immediately to let them know. The rep told me it's very strange that I did not receive the item and practically call me a liar. She said that the vacuum was activated and was at my home and they can see in their system where exactly the vacuum was. I asked her if she can tell me the address so, I can go and ask for a vacuum that cost me 1k. She said that she will call me back and let me know. I waited and the rep supervisor told me that I was a liar and I'm trying to scam their company. And there is nothing they can do and that they won't deal with a fraud like me and hang up. I'm speechless nobody has ever talked to me the way. I don't know what to do?

Original review: April 18, 2019

I’ve owned my iRobot Roomba 960 for about 18 months now, and given the high price I paid for the vacuum, I would definitely not recommend this product, unless your particular cleaning environment is compatible with the design flaw of this Roomba. The Roomba has six sensors under the unit that are designed to detect a staircase edge, and avoid it.

Unfortunately, it mistakenly recognizes dark borders or portions of carpet as a staircase and will not move over it. I have six rugs on a large wood floor, and the Roomba works fine on the wood, but when it senses the black edged border on any of the rugs, it turns around and heads the other way. I contacted iRobot shortly after my purchase, and they had no fix for it, so I was going to return it.

Then I read a blogger who had the same problem, and he taped small pieces of paper over the six sensors. I tried it and it worked. Luckily, I have no steps for the Roomba to tumble down, so this fix seemed to suffice. I’ve had to remove the pieces of paper and clean the sensor surfaces several times, and it has become a pain, especially considering the cost of this device.

For that kind of money, this product should make my life easier and less frustrating. Today, I had to, once again, remove the tape and paper and clean the sensors and replace the tape and paper, etc, and I just was not in the mood to do it, AGAIN! I should have returned the unit immediately, but I thought I could live with it. Fool me once! I called iRobot today and asked if since the time I purchased their vacuum, they had come up with a fix to their overly sensitive color sensor, and I was told, “No.”

The Customer Service Rep suggested that I follow behind the Roomba and lift it onto each of my six carpets. That made me mad! She should have left it with, “No.” So, if you have no dark colors or borders on your floors or carpets, this vacuum works well. iRobot has yet to acknowledge this problem, so buyer beware. Seems like they could program the Roomba to ignore or recognize the presence of stairs. But, they haven’t chosen to address the problem after all this time.

Original review: April 8, 2019

The Braava works wonderful as long as you’re willing to replace it every 4-6 months. I bought my original one less than 3 years ago and iRobot has had to replace it every 4-6 months. I've had 5 in the last 3 years. This last one lasted the longest, 6 months but they will not stand behind their product. I'm getting penalized because their product is defective and they don’t stand behind it. If you google ratings it comes in last. There’s lots of other brands that are rated way better and are cheaper!!! Tech support is awful as they are not based in the United States.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about iRobot?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Horrible... horrible... horrible experience with this product and iRobot Customer Service. If you were not aware, this product fails miserably on carpets or rugs that have light and dark areas together. The unit is unable to deal with the contrast and your carpet will not be cleaned. You will only discover this shortcoming AFTER you purchase the item. By the time you figure this out, you may no longer be able to return the unit, unless you purchased from Costco. iRobot won't warn you as they don’t want to risk losing your business. This means you need to vacuum by hand, which defeats the purpose of buying one.

iRobot knows all about this (https://bit.ly/2H1WV16) and is working on a new model to replace this inferior technology. In the meantime, this is the best they could do and knowingly pawn this off on customers. They have chosen not to work with customers like myself who have been impacted by this issue. It also gets stuck easily under furniture meaning the job won't be done when you get home. Other than that, it works fine on other surfaces like hardwood and light carpets. This explains why you will see some good reviews on this product.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I bought the iRobot Roomba 675 thinking that the robotics technology has been advanced in the vacuums. But to my disappointment is not more than an advanced remote control device that doesn't justify the high price. Docking to the charger station is a joke. Sometimes takes an hour to dock. I don't know what technology they are using but apparently, it doesn't work. Also, don't pick up the dust at the corners despite the claim of that the side brushers is for that purpose. It was a failed purchase for me and plan to return it.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

My husband purchased a Roomba 614 for me for Christmas this year. Sadly when we tried to set it up it kept giving us a charging error message 1. Roomba troubleshooting and customer service were absolutely 0 help when we called and advised us to take it back to the store we purchased it from. The store was not able to help us as they are supposed to send the faulty ones back to be repaired. After 10 phone conversations to Roomba by ourselves and the store we purchased it from, Roomba will not stand by their product and the store will refund our money. Will not purchase another one from this company and are not able to confirm or deny the vacuum performance due to the fact it never worked.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

We purchased 2 iRobot roomba vacuum cleaners at Costco. One for the downstairs and one for the upstairs. The downstairs one ruined the edges of our $24,000 dollar Persian Rug. The one upstairs chipped our hardwood floors. Needless to say, we returned both of them. Buyers be careful.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

This is the worst vacuum purchase I ever made. Beware everybody. Do not buy these robotic vacuums. Here’s why... 1. You have to completely clear your floors... electric cords, cat towers, curtains that hit the floor, area rugs. It will get caught, get stuck or completely break the machine. 2. You have to babysit the vacuum. It gets caught and stuck in one place. 3. It never cleans your floors. Sporadic pickups. 4. Your pet's tail can get caught in it. 5. It breaks very easily. 6. Expensive. 7. Marks up your furniture by banging into it. 8. Scratches hardwood floors. 9. Scratches and nicks baseboards. 10. “Placebo effect." Just because you hear a vacuum running doesn’t mean it’s cleaning. Do not buy this defective piece of garbage. It will ruin your house and forget cleaning your floors after 90 min of this waste of a machine that damaged my house. I finally pulled out my Swiffer sweeper vac and did all of it in 30 seconds! Need I say more?!

iRobot Company Information