1.96/5
Based on 67 reviews that contain star ratings

iRobot

IRobot is a technology company that specializes in autonomous robots that clean inside and outside the home. Designed with ease and performance in mind, their products include four Roomba vacuum models, two Braava mops and the Mirra pool cleaner.

85 iRobot Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

This cleaner makes vacuuming easy! I set my Roomba down in the middle of the room, close the door and come back later to find it all clean. It's great for carpet, wood floors, and tiled areas. I have to make sure I empty the container after each cleaning, but other than that, it is hassle-free. It sure beats pushing a heavy cleaner around the room. It will go under the dresser and zips in and out around the room until all is clean. It makes a deetaldeedee! sound when all is clean and it is through.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

This product gets very confused, there is no set pattern. It goes until it hits an object and then turns turns turns. I watched this product for an hour and quite frankly it doesn't hit 1/2 of my cleaning surface because of its confusion. I paid a lot for this product and it is NOT WORTH IT!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

This product excels at moving messes from one area to another, going to places it has already done or shouldn't, knocking things over, and destroying all cords it comes across. It clogs up almost immediately and then starts moving messes around. It is topnotch at taking hair from one area and then placing it underneath tables and doors. And if that isn't enough it breaks down within weeks of using it.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Spent almost 500.00 on the vacuum, only to find out it only lasts about two years, before receiving charging error 5. A call to customer support to find the ONLY solution was purchasing a new one??? Yeah, I will not be throwing my money away like that any longer! Thanks, but no thanks.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

This company has the worst customer service. I ordered a product from them on a Tuesday night and paid for one day shipping. It's Saturday and I still have not received my product. Customer service said their team is verifying my order which makes no sense. Will never order a product from them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about iRobot?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I purchased a 980 model in 12/2015. It worked well for 2 years and then suddenly stopped working. A call to customer service led them to recommend that I replace the unit. As others have stated, they do not offer any repairs or parts, just a suggestion to throw it away and buy a new one. They do offer a new one at a 15% discount but you don't receive a new battery with it. I've placed that order twice now by phone with a credit card that is in good standing. Days later, I've received a notice acknowledging that I cancelled the order (I hadn't). Again, I spent another 20 minutes reordering and they have no explanation of why it's cancelled. The woman on the phone said she was going to "personally" follow up to see that it was shipped, only to get the same cancellation letter and no follow-up. This is great vacuum while it lasts but it's incredibly expensive if it lasts less than two years. Consider this to be a disposable vacuum.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

If I could give a negative rating I would! The expensive iRobot Roomba worked for little over a year, after purchasing a new battery, the Roomba stopped working all together. Customer service does not help you fix the Roomba, they offer 25% discount on a new one, which I think it's their marketing strategy, to sell more product. It is the biggest scam I've ever had. The Roomba cost over $600 which I purchased from Bed Bath & Beyond, another $50 for a new battery, over all this $650 vacuum cleaner worked about 1 year and half and customer service over the phone did not care at all. I wish I have read these reviews before my purchasing. Please do not spend your money on this piece of junk! Mine is ready to go in the trash.

Original review: July 22, 2017

Buyer beware (my experience -- long), July 21, 2017. By. This is a general review for the iRobot Roombas and not a specific model. IRobot does NOT have a repair center to fix a broken Roombas. If your Roombas will no longer work after warranty the best they will do is offer a discount on a replacement Roomba. My story: in 2008 I purchased the top model at that time. After 4 months of use or less than 12 uses, we found we were moving and after cleaning the Roombas and removing the battery I packed the Roomba. Due to unexpected circumstances the Roomba ended up in storage. It worked perfectly when I packed it.

A week ago I unpacked it, replaced the battery and plugged it in to charge. After 30 minutes I got an error alarm. I contacted iRobot support and was told I needed a new battery (basically on a fixed income this is a pricey item). After replacing the new battery I plugged Roomba in to charge and 30 minutes later got the same error alarm. The battery will not charge. However as the battery had a partial charge I ran the Roomba and it worked great. Contacted iRobot again and was told I needed a new charger. Purchased another iRobot product although I had doubts that this was the problem. Again Roomba gave the same error code after 30 minutes.

Contacted iRobot tech AGAIN. Sent a lengthy email (like this lengthy review) documenting everything I did. Received a return email informing me that a replacement battery was probably needed but the charger probably was not (thanks a lot -- I can really afford to spend money on unnecessary purchases) and the problem was most likely an electrical current problem. The Roomba was not recognizing enough current to charge the battery. Thus the error code. However good news! It would only take a few simple steps to fix and someone would call me.

Tech calls. In spite of email and notes from previous contact, I am told to buy a new battery! I told him to read the email; the battery had already been replaced. So he told me to buy a new charger! Maybe he can't read? Again I told him that was done. So he says I need to buy a new Roomba. He offered a discount (if I wanted a new one Amazon's prices were better than his discount). I asked if they would pay shipping for me to send the Roomba for repair. THEY HAVE NO REPAIR CENTER!!! No way to fix it. By years my Roomba might be old but by use it was essentially new. What kind of company sells an expensive product and cannot repair it? Buyer beware. Once your Roomba is out of warranty if it breaks all you have is a piece of junk. The only support technical support offered was how to pry money from me for parts or replacement. They have no knowledge or ability to fix any problems that occur with an out of warranty product.

Original review: May 24, 2017

I'm beginning to dislike our Roomba. I think they are best suited for a square room. Ours is not, it very open and the Roomba wanders from one room to the next, down the hall, under the dining room table and gets hung up on the chair legs and it never shuts off. It must be looking for its docking station and can't find it. That's because it's down the hall in another room going around in circles. The virtual wall does help but I'd need 5 or 6 of them to keep it confined to where I want it. It can get out of the living room by going under the couch and out the back, which it does. I made a test today by putting it in a small room with the door closed. It ran for over an hour and a half and never did shut off. Again I think it was looking for its docking station so I guess it must be moved from room to room too. The room was cleaned though. I'm thinking of sending it back to Amazon. It's not suited for our house. BTW... the dog doesn't like it either.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

In theory, great idea. Who wouldn't love an automatic vacuum cleaner that cleans for you and you never have to think of doing it on a regular basis? However, this thing is terrible and such a headache. Before it turns on, I have to literally go from room to room removing any possible small items it may get stuck on. I have to close all the kids rooms b/c they have so many small toys that would demolish the roomba. I have to close my room off b/c I have too many cords from charging devices that might get sucked up and render the roomba useless.

I thought I did a good job today of "roomba proofing" my house, only to hear it stop 5 minutes in and when I went over, I see that I overlooked cords from my blinds (they were hiding behind my curtains, darn it!). Roomba down. Not sure how in the world to untangle this mess and I am about 5 screws in so far. What a waste of $400. In all the time I spend prepping for the roomba to run, I may as well run my own vacuum manually. DO NOT BUY. Too good to be true!!!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

Irobot Roomba 650 does a decent job. Does a lot of bouncing around. I see no program that makes it cover the whole floor but it does a decent job. But you can do a better job with the regular vacuum and much faster.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2016

Very expensive product that doesn't live up to its worth. It takes more time to clean the overpriced piece of crap than it does to vacuum manually. Don't waste your money on this worthless pile of junk. I gave mine away for free and the recipient had the same review. Said it sucked even for a gift. Roomba blows and sucks at the same time!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

I have owned several iRobot Roomba vacuums over the last decade. Some have had issues so when I wasn't sure how to fix the problem I contacted iRobot Customer Service. Amazing! Always friendly and they will troubleshoot the problem with until a solution is reached. If it cannot be figured out they will replace the item. Fast response time and a friendly staff are why I will be an iRobot customer for life!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

I paid over $500 for Scooba 380. Worked only 2-1/2 years. When I call them for parts or services, they said they have none. They asked me to throw it away and buy another Scooba 400 series because they no longer makes the 300 series. But I said it's only 2 years plus but they will not replace it or service it. I consider this purchase a big rip off. Their corporate offer me $100 off to buy the Scooba 400 series. I asked if they will back up their products, once again, the answer is no. I am very disappointed with this company. And yes, I feel cheated by this company. They should not remain in business.

Original review: July 2, 2016

Roomba 650 - We purchased our Roomba about 18 months ago. We have dark cork flooring throughout the house so you can see every speck. Roomba has been a godsend. No problems except the occasional eating of iPhone lightning cords. I empty the bin and clean off the brushes every two days or so. Had a wheel module fail at month 14: diagnosed and ordered new one. Customer service was VERY polite and helpful during this process. Am now replacing the brushes when I noticed all the negative reviews here. I would recommend this product to anyone with the caveat; you have to maintain it. When this one finally dies we'll get another as a second!

Original review: June 19, 2016

I sent an email to iRobot asking where I could send my Mint5200 to have the tread on the wheels replaced. They said I should buy a new machine. Obviously they do not stand by their product and are out for more money. Too bad money can't buy integrity. I will never buy another product associated with this company again. I highly recommend you avoid this company and its products.

Original review: April 27, 2016

I have purchased 3 products from iRobot over the past 2 years - 2 Roomba and 1 Scooba. All 3 died while out of warranty. In all 3 cases, I called iRobot customer service and got the same answers, which reduce to this sequence: Clean it. Bang on it. Clean it again. Bang on it harder. Buy parts if you want to fix it yourself (assuming you know what parts to replace). Otherwise, throw it away. Buy a newer model. IRobot does NOT service/repair ANY of their consumer products.

My latest (and LAST) call to their customer "no" service connected me to someone who obviously is tired of having to tell customers to clean/bang/self-service/dispose/buy replacement. The customer service rep sounded like a robot as though they were embarrassed having to tell yet another customer the same story. I was seriously thinking about buying one of their new Braava mopping robots. After this latest call to iRobot it is clear to me that iRobot does not produce products that last. They work great until they malfunction. Once they do, you can try to fix it yourself, and eventually have an expensive piece of worthless junk that you have to dispose of.

I believe it is enlightening to look at how many different models of cleaning robots they no longer make in the Roomba, Scooba, Braava, Mirra, Looj, DirtDog, etc. product lines. I believe this indicates they have problems and are constantly trying to come up with a newer model that fixes them. To anyone who is considering purchasing one of iRobot's products, before you do, call them up and ask them what happens if the product malfunctions/breaks outside of the warranty period. Personally I will NEVER purchase another product from iRobot.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2016

This is the opposite of a cleaning robot. My carpets might get spotless, in one area, but as Roomba sits and bumps against all possible objects, while dragging every possible object it encounters; shoes, wires, papers, ANYTHING... What I really want to know is who is liable when Roomba pushes its way into a closed room and proceeds to shred sensitive financial papers that may have been on the floor of said closed office.

I walked into my room this morning to find a straight trail from the Roomba station to that closed door, which apparently was only partially closed into the jam, but Roomba found its way in and proceeded to literally shred countless financial papers that I had next to my desk. It shredded the papers, dragged them to every accessible corner of the office (and when I say accessible it found to most inaccessible spot under the desk and then died there, as it shredded my papers and tried hopelessly to find a way out).

Roomba is pure unadulterated **. Either the algorithms programmed into it are not as smart as the Roomba engineers think it is, or the hardware is limited, but this should not be sold as a consumer device until it can do things like actually vacuum a room without creating 10x more mess. I should not have to sit and babysit a GD vacuuming robot. It defeats the entire purpose of the thing. I am very dissatisfied with Roomba and will never purchase an iRobot product ever again.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2015

I'm glad that my review was seen over 70,000 times. I hope that it has helped other consumers diverge from purchasing iRobot. Here is a current update. I have disposed 2 of the iRobots - they were just taking space and I put them in the garbage. I have 1 iRobot left and the batteries I have last about 1.5 to 3 minutes max regardless how long I charge the unit for. I spoke to the iRobot customer service and as usual very insensitive to the client's problems. They said that I need to spend more money and buy more batteries or a new iRobot. These operators must be trained to strictly get more money out of us consumers and no other help or support is provided. Both my wife and I are very disappointed and I explained to the company about all the problems we had with the multiple units we have had.

The reason they were saying is we did not cleaned them which is incorrect because we kept a log of the cleaning sessions plus a log of every phone call and conversation with managers and operators as we got transferred, put on hold sometimes for almost 1 hr then disconnected. We are sure that you can understand how frustrating that is. Raising kids and taking care of the everyday tasks is difficult as it is. The people at iRobot said that it's normal for them to do that as the call volume is so huge with complaints that it is unequivocally impossible to handle.

The problems we have had were never resolved. All we really wanted is for them to take this robot back and supply us with the one that works as they claim that their robots are the best. The batteries we have are dead now and cannot use the robot any longer, in behalf of my family I hope that the CEO will read this and reply personally and make this right by sending a iRobot Roomba that works. There is always time to concede and make things right. Thank you everybody, keep posting.

Original review: July 14, 2015

A few years ago, I had my first robotic vacuum cleaner, a roomba. Can't recall model number but suffice to say it lasted less than 2 years. Customer service at that point confirmed it was not repairable. I had used it maybe 20 times, if that. This year, I gave it another try with a scooba. Same story, lasted less than 2 years and I have used it even less than the roomba before.

Customer service really not very friendly, nor knowledgeable. Very disappointed. While I admire the company's concept as such, using robots to help with household chores, it really seems they focus a lot more on their governmental robots (which must be even more expensive) neglecting customer that pay anywhere from usd 400-700 for a VACUUM CLEANER! I will buy a cheaper, non iRobot model now and it will probably last a lot longer than 2 years. iRobot is DEAD for me, for life.

Original review: July 11, 2015

Got the hotshot Scooba. Couldn't use it for 30 days. First time, did not work. They told me "too bad". It's over 30 days. No money back. No help. I donated it to salvation army. Had similar problems with their Roomba. I love my Roombas but would NEVER buy directly from them or a new one. Only refurbished with a company that gives a warranty. Their service/customer depot stinks.. in private, I use worse language.

Original review: July 1, 2015

2 years ago I bought an iRobot scooba. Within 2 years the unit had cracked a small valve and stopped working. I contacted iRobot via their facebook page who then directed me to their Australian representative. After emailing them and having no reply I facebooked them again complaining about the lack of response. I promptly got a response by the Australian company brand developers, who sent me the details to have it checked and repaired. Upon return I was invoiced as they found no damage but it needed a "clean" despite them replacing the cracked valve. It was used another half dozen times prior to it faulting again (continually backing up). Again I contacted them and had to leave a displeasing comment on the iRobot facebook page to get any response.

Again the Australian group dragged their heels to contact me before agreeing to check the unit again. This time they claimed the printed circuit board (pcb) was faulty and would not fix it as they "did not stock spare parts". After a lot of complaining they offered to replace the $1300 unit with a $200 roomba or I could buy a new one at the same price I paid for the last one or they'd keep the broken one and apply a $*** credit on the new model "if" they brought it out. I got the unit reassessed and even paid for a new pcb which was found to be unnecessary as the pcb wasn't faulty. I contacted brand developers again and they have failed to respond.

Original review: May 30, 2015

After 3 years of light usage and I do mean light, I got the infamous error code 9. The book says to hit the bumpers 20 times to clean the sensors. This didn't work so I called the customer service line. Their standard line was, "Well if you cleaned the bumpers we can't fix it. So you will need to buy a new unit." They offered me a core unit, no battery or aux equipment for $150. I sent an email asking for more ways to troubleshoot the problem but they are standing firm, no fix just replacement. And because I registered the machine at purchase I get a 15% discount. Nice going iRobot, you got me, at least I got 3 years usage out of it. I will not replace it with a Roomba. I will never buy anything from iRobot again and I don't recommend you buying their products.

Original review: May 14, 2015

I am having a problem with my iRobot Roomba 650. I called customer service. Their representatives are the most not customer oriented people. I purchased the robot at Bed, Bath, And Beyond on January 2015. I lost the receipt and I have purchased it with a gift card so I can't pull out the receipt. Anyway, iRobot customer service insists to get the receipt and not willing to provide me a service without a physical receipt... Who keeps receipts in those days? Why to put more bumpers in front of customers face instead of trying to help them under the warranty agreement?!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

My iRobot Braava, which I got in March 2014, has malfunctioned twice. The first time, I got brilliant service, and the machine was working again very quickly. This time, it has been quite a different story. I've had a long, dreary correspondence with iRobot support, in which I've been asked for impossibly precise descriptions of the malfunction; asked to give - in addition to the serial number of the machine - a number which is claimed appears on the machine, but to my eyes is completely invisible; asked for the receipt of purchase of the machine, and confirmation of my email address. My Braava is still not working, and it is now two weeks since I first contacted customer service for help. This is very, very depressing. I suspect that there is a single member of staff in charge of sorting out all customer problems, and asking endless ridiculous questions is a way of fending off having to do anything to help the hapless customers.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2014

Poor execution. I have owned 4 Roombas, 2 Dirt Dog sweepers, best idea they ever had. 2 vacuums. In general I have plenty of money, so I do as I please. But I will learn over time. The time of the Robot floor cleaner is yet to arrive I'm afraid. They fail, break easily and customer support are just words @ iRobot. I would buy another one in a minute if they didn't terrify my cats and rode them like they do on youtube. But I wouldn't buy one to clean my floor. If I received one as a gift, I would sell it on Ebay.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2014

I purchased a Roomba 870 in March and have been very happy with the results. With 2 kids, 2 dogs, and 2 cats, I program it to clean the living room and entryway every single day. Then, when I get home in the evening, I run it in another room as well - so it sees heavy use. When it was about a month old, it stopped charging on the base - it was completely dead. iRobot sent me an all-new 870, all components. It has worked like a charm for almost 8 months now with no issues. We recently updated our living room area run to a thick shag, which Roomba will not run on. It stops after about 10 seconds. To be fair, I cannot manually vacuum this shag rug with my Dyson upright either. I have to put on the hose attachment and use that occasionally on the area rug. Most of the floor is still wood, and I still use the Roomba daily.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2014

A few week later I purchase to Mint Robot - stop charging so have to call and replace to charger. A week later Mint Robot stop working. They told me to send it back and they are going to replace it without any other explanations which I did. I send back Mint Robot with original box and everything in it. Cost me almost 40$ shipping on my pocket cause they refuse to pay shipping. And when I receive replacement\battery, pat and charging was missing. They told me to I have to purchase those so another 65$ for the all part. This company is a joke. DO NOT BUY any product from them, they will make you regret it.

Original review: July 28, 2014

Over a 12 month period I purchased 4 Roombas, in the 500 series. First one quit working, no help form Support. I tried to replace the battery, and stripped out the screw holding the plastic in place. That one is dead. Then bought another one, which seemed to clean ok, it just would not pay attention to the virtual walls. Bought a 3rd one at Sam's, which never cleaned the entire room. It ran through a tad bit of water, quit working. I cannot get Roomba to equitably fix this. I think I need a new motherboard for each of them, but iRobot refuses to sell me any or to offer any repairs. What they did offer was to sell me robots for $200 each. Really? I think I can sell them for parts and get about that much for the old ones. I think I will investigate a Shark or Dyson instead. That's over $500 for them, and nothing is working. I loved the first one, but the dog baptized it, and apparently any amount of moisture is a death knell. Too bad! I don’t think I will be getting any more. Too expensive a lesson. And from what I read on here, Roomba does not care.

Original review: July 21, 2014

Roomba 870 - The robot does not hold a charge long enough to regularly complete cleaning of living and dining room areas. It routinely is found dead in the middle of the floor in need of a charge. Irobot has replaced modules, charging station, etc., but problem continues. I'm concerned about what this will cost me once the warranty runs out.

iRobot Company Information