2. Homeowners
  3. Vacuum Cleaners

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.84/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

IRobot is a technology company that specializes in autonomous robots that clean inside and outside the home. Designed with ease and performance in mind, their products include four Roomba vacuum models, two Braava mops and the Mirra pool cleaner.

iRobot Reviews

Original review: July 9, 2019

Cannot mop house due to getting stuck. Won't mop house. It takes all day to vacuum due to having to recharge every hour then it forgets where it left off, then it goes back and vacuums where it's already vacuumed. Does not clean for 2 hrs. Has to be recharged x 3-4 to finish house. I'm not sure it doesn't take more charges because when I go to bed I hear it coming off charger and trying to clean again. Get stuck multiple times in cleaning house. Each time Roomba company wants you to buy their virtual wall barriers that are 50 bucks a piece to fix the problem with their equipment, it would take 6 for my house. Roomba does not vacuum dark carpet. Does not clean very good even along walls. Does a poor job of cleaning even with me keeping the bend empty. I called Roomba customer service multiple many times, spent hours on phone with them and they all came to the same conclusion that this is how it operates!!!

Original review: July 2, 2019

We purchased the iRobot mop directly from the vendor's website. We were dissatisfied with the product and wanted a refund. The company first tried to deter us from returning the product by giving us random suggestions of how to make it work differently. We got frustrated when we noticed that they were trying to NOT give us the refund so we simply said we want a refund. The company then told us that our correspondence has exceeded more than a month so therefore we don't get a refund! At best they can try to send us another one. The company swindled us out of our money and we think other's should be vigilant when buying this product.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I used 4 Roomba until now and 2 of them still working. But Roomba 800 series is most awful. Poor quality. The trash bin is the biggest problem. I changed 2 already. What is more, the back frame is broken also and Amazon charged $79.99. I am considering to change parts? As if so, the total spare parts costs more than $200.00 But my old 5/6 serious still working, without any replacing. I hate 800 serious. I just wonder who stupid guy designed 800 series? Or he intended to do so, just let our customers buy parts often?

Original review: June 14, 2019

I love my Roomba and am so impressed with iRobot's customer service. I have a dog that sheds SO much and having the iRobot has provided much needed relief. I used to have to get out my vacuum for a major cleaning every day due to all the hair on the floor. Now, I run the Roomba daily and will only get out the big vacuum about once a week. It's been so helpful. No, it's not perfect, but it definitely does a great job at grabbing dust/dirt and dog hair.

Now, on the customer service front. I had a nightmare scenario (a good warning to all pet owners) where I ran the Roomba while we were out for a very long time and little did I know, our dog ended up having an accident in the house. Without getting into specifics, we came home to a complete disaster! (Use your imagination.) My husband tried to clean the vacuum and it just completely stopped working.

I called iRobot to see if I could just buy a new vacuum and the rep was incredibly kind and asked me why I needed a new one. When I (embarrassingly) explained our scenario, I was told iRobot would send me a new robot free of charge since it was still under warranty. I figured since it was my fault, there would be no way they would offer me a new one. So, it was such a pleasant surprise to learn that they would help me out, especially since these things are NOT cheap! P.S.- This is my first review EVER. I just had to share my experience because I am that impressed with both the company and the vacuum.

Original review: June 11, 2019

At first I like the i7 because of its novelty and the ability to do a pretty good job vacuuming. However my Roomba constantly got stuck and clogged and it just wasn’t suitable for the floor plan of my house. My house is a little bit older and therefore not an open floor plan and it had plenty of room divisions and it was difficult for the Roomba to learn how to map the house. In addition the company says you have 30 days to return the item, and I did return mine three weeks in.

However, it took over a week to get to the return facility and they are telling me I’m still responsible for paying the financing on it. However the financing Company, a firm, will only credit the card account and not reimburse my bank account so I basically be out $200 for the first payment. I told him I wasn’t paying and I think their policy stinks since there’s a barcode on the return label. Once that thing gets returned and scanned I should be able to have a refund. That’s how Amazon does it and it works very well. I just think these people are very difficult to deal with and the machine is way overpriced for what it is.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about iRobot?

Original review: May 29, 2019

Bought a Braava unit and found out straight from the get go that the thing would just not charge. Went on their website to figure out that the error code given says «charging issue». Called the customer service. They told me the battery is dead. I need to buy a new one. Told them I wouldn’t pay to get a new unit working but they won’t do a thing saying basically that because I bought it from a grand surface which they don’t know of (of course they’re in US and I’m in Canada) it was my fault to buy it from that store and if I had bought it from Amazon they would honour the warranty but now they won’t. The guy at the customer service would just keep on repeating the same refrain whatever I would say. So they’re willing to sully their name for a 60$ battery. It is a shame. Never saw a company being so arrogant with such a mediocre customer service. They clearly are not worth your money. Get something else from a company that cares about its customers.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I bought an iRobot vacuum from their website. I was expecting the item to be delivered today and nothing came. I received an email saying the package was delivered. I call immediately to let them know. The rep told me it's very strange that I did not receive the item and practically call me a liar. She said that the vacuum was activated and was at my home and they can see in their system where exactly the vacuum was. I asked her if she can tell me the address so, I can go and ask for a vacuum that cost me 1k. She said that she will call me back and let me know. I waited and the rep supervisor told me that I was a liar and I'm trying to scam their company. And there is nothing they can do and that they won't deal with a fraud like me and hang up. I'm speechless nobody has ever talked to me the way. I don't know what to do?

Original review: April 18, 2019

I’ve owned my iRobot Roomba 960 for about 18 months now, and given the high price I paid for the vacuum, I would definitely not recommend this product, unless your particular cleaning environment is compatible with the design flaw of this Roomba. The Roomba has six sensors under the unit that are designed to detect a staircase edge, and avoid it.

Unfortunately, it mistakenly recognizes dark borders or portions of carpet as a staircase and will not move over it. I have six rugs on a large wood floor, and the Roomba works fine on the wood, but when it senses the black edged border on any of the rugs, it turns around and heads the other way. I contacted iRobot shortly after my purchase, and they had no fix for it, so I was going to return it.

Then I read a blogger who had the same problem, and he taped small pieces of paper over the six sensors. I tried it and it worked. Luckily, I have no steps for the Roomba to tumble down, so this fix seemed to suffice. I’ve had to remove the pieces of paper and clean the sensor surfaces several times, and it has become a pain, especially considering the cost of this device.

For that kind of money, this product should make my life easier and less frustrating. Today, I had to, once again, remove the tape and paper and clean the sensors and replace the tape and paper, etc, and I just was not in the mood to do it, AGAIN! I should have returned the unit immediately, but I thought I could live with it. Fool me once! I called iRobot today and asked if since the time I purchased their vacuum, they had come up with a fix to their overly sensitive color sensor, and I was told, “No.”

The Customer Service Rep suggested that I follow behind the Roomba and lift it onto each of my six carpets. That made me mad! She should have left it with, “No.” So, if you have no dark colors or borders on your floors or carpets, this vacuum works well. iRobot has yet to acknowledge this problem, so buyer beware. Seems like they could program the Roomba to ignore or recognize the presence of stairs. But, they haven’t chosen to address the problem after all this time.

Original review: April 8, 2019

The Braava works wonderful as long as you’re willing to replace it every 4-6 months. I bought my original one less than 3 years ago and iRobot has had to replace it every 4-6 months. I've had 5 in the last 3 years. This last one lasted the longest, 6 months but they will not stand behind their product. I'm getting penalized because their product is defective and they don’t stand behind it. If you google ratings it comes in last. There’s lots of other brands that are rated way better and are cheaper!!! Tech support is awful as they are not based in the United States.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Horrible... horrible... horrible experience with this product and iRobot Customer Service. If you were not aware, this product fails miserably on carpets or rugs that have light and dark areas together. The unit is unable to deal with the contrast and your carpet will not be cleaned. You will only discover this shortcoming AFTER you purchase the item. By the time you figure this out, you may no longer be able to return the unit, unless you purchased from Costco. iRobot won't warn you as they don’t want to risk losing your business. This means you need to vacuum by hand, which defeats the purpose of buying one.

iRobot knows all about this (https://bit.ly/2H1WV16) and is working on a new model to replace this inferior technology. In the meantime, this is the best they could do and knowingly pawn this off on customers. They have chosen not to work with customers like myself who have been impacted by this issue. It also gets stuck easily under furniture meaning the job won't be done when you get home. Other than that, it works fine on other surfaces like hardwood and light carpets. This explains why you will see some good reviews on this product.

iRobot Company Information