iRobot

iRobot Reviews

About iRobot

IRobot is a technology company that specializes in autonomous robots that clean inside and outside the home. Designed with ease and performance in mind, their products include four Roomba vacuum models, two Braava mops and the Mirra pool cleaner.

iRobot Reviews

Stars Rating

• 0%
  • 0%
  • 3%
  • 10%
  • 86%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about iRobot?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about iRobot?
    Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Feb. 3, 2024

I bought an i4 3 years ago but only used it for 8 months after which I moved. After moving I never plugged it in again due to having multiple floors so it was easier to use a regular vacuum. I recently pulled it back out and when I tried to connect it got stuck on "updating" so I called customer service, even though the machine is still fully functioning and has only 8 months of use I am told it is no longer good because of an updating issue - it cost me CAD 800$ at the time of purchase so basically $100 a month of actual use. I was told there was nothing they could do for me - I was offered a 75$ voucher but then told it was only valid in the US (I am in Canada) and there was no special price they could give me but there would be a sale on the site next month. I would have paid to fix it which I would have much preferred, but apparently, there is no fixing this issue which is horrendous for the environment. I am extremely upset and disappointed with the whole experience and will not be purchasing from this company again.

Reviewed Feb. 2, 2024

This company is horrible. I called a bunch of times, e-mailed several times to try to resolve my problem and they do nothing!!!! Bought a product, it is not working, and they refuse to replace my product that is under warranty. What about my customer rights? Totally outrageous.

Reviewed Jan. 16, 2024

Worst product and service, both models broke 2 months after warranty (1 year) and don't sell parts. Won't replace or fix. Now own $2000 paper weight. You suck, what a rip off. Hope this company goes under.

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Dec. 26, 2023

I own the Roomba S9+, Braava, and Roomba J7. They have generally performed well though they get stuck quite a bit. However, the Roomba S9+ managed to knock over a pitcher full of water (to keep the Christmas tree moist) onto itself. By the time we discovered it, the main circuit board had failed. I had the S9+ set for gentle object avoidance (no banging and pushing).

Two weeks later, the J7, despondent at the loss of its downstairs cousin, launched itself from the top stair all the way down the stairwell, breaking a tiny (and very flimsy) plastic part that keeps the dust bin in place. Please note that the J7 boasts “cliff avoidance” - specifically to prevent it from tumbling down stairs. As I was unable to contact iRobot by phone (no valid options, no option for a person) and have received no response to my online product support query, I have replaced the downstairs robot with a RoboRock S8 Pro Ultra. It does a great job, is very gentle, is much much quieter, and much more efficient. That said, the Roomba/Braava combination had been working very well. The floors and rugs were always clean.

The company even replaced the S9+ when the main circuit board failed. At the time, they seemed quite responsive. I have asked a second time for assistance. If I do not receive assistance, this review should only assign one star. But since I have very much enjoyed having Dusty and Moppy for a while, I think that 3 stars are appropriate. The products are good. I might still get the service I need.

Reviewed Dec. 12, 2023

My inquiry to their customer service team was a simple one on December 2nd. We recently replaced our carpet, our i7 Roomba was leaving debris behind. I submitted pictures to show what was happening. I asked if there was a setting that could be changed to adjust for carpet height. I received an email that they would get back with me in two days. It’s been a week and a half. On Saturday, I sent another email referencing the case #. So far Crickets, I have to say I will not be purchasing another IRobot in the future.

Reviewed Dec. 9, 2023

The worst customer service that I have ever dealt with. I purchased several products from them, but in general, none of the product works well, in addition, the battery of two pieces of equipment died within the 1st year, I ordered another battery for my iRobot vacuum cleaner in May 2023 and received a battery that was manufactured in 2018, which means the manufacturer sent me the 5-year-old battery.

This battery died within the 1st 6 months, I contacted customer service and after a long time discussing this matter, the gentleman on the phone said, "We gonna review it and would contact you." He never did that and once I called them back in early Dec, the other rep said that I had already passed the 6 months and they could not do anything about that and their system doesn't show any previous conversations although my first approach to them was within the 1st 6 months. I highly recommend not buying from Irobot if you don't want the same experience.

Reviewed Nov. 8, 2023

Having owned multiple IRobot vacuum cleaners in the past 10 years, I empirically can attest that the vacuum does damage to baseboards, furniture legs, and anything that it rubs against with its 4-5 inch profile. A guest at my house would know we use a iRobot vacuum cleaner merely by visualizing the 4-5 inch high worn pattern created by the vacuum throughout the house on all objects it navigates around. BE ADVISED! I resorted to placing soft felt on the vacuum to minimize the abrasive contact that is inherent in its use. One would market an improvement in this otherwise useful device by preventing this occurrence from happening to everyone purchasing an iRobot.

Price

Reviewed Oct. 31, 2023

The list of issues is too long to put it here.... There were mapping errors, problems with emptying the bin, problems with the batteries etc etc etc... Now the clean base contacts were not working and didn't charge the robot. But since it took so long to identify that the warranty meanwhile expired and Roomba doesn't want to replace it... They told me that I get 15% discount on a new clean base but it is cost me too many nervs already so I will just throw this thing to the garbage and buy something more reliable.

Reviewed Sept. 19, 2023

I called to discuss if there was a new product to replace the useless brushes on the i7. Even a small bit of dog hair causes the brushes to break in two. The woman just kept saying “it’s the environment”. Just rude. Of course it’s the environment. The product was advertised for pet hair my old iRobot works so well and the service use to be so good. Too bad this company has sunk so low.

Reviewed Sept. 17, 2023

Had this ** for less than 12 months before the service code 26 popped up. Disassembled the unit to only find out it was clean as a whistle, meaning no debris. Sent iRobot an email to CEO, but no response. I would never buy an iRobot vacuum or product ever again. Over-priced piece of junk and looks cool for a few months and then dies out. Good luck if you are thinking of buying one, I certainly would not if I had the option again.

Reviewed Aug. 25, 2023

I sent a request to iRobot requesting them to please enhance your website allowing customers to administer their devices and update online maps instead of having to use the iPhone app. The customer service representative responded in an email "...we do not accept or consider creative ideas, suggestions, or materials other than those iRobot has specifically requested. Accordingly, we must request that you not submit or send any original creative materials, including but not limited to submissions of suggestions, ideas or concepts related to current or future products or business ideas."

I responded with the following in an email - I am very disappointed in your response and especially your request not to submit suggestions, ideas, or concepts. This is ridiculous and will definitely make me rethink my ongoing relationship with your company and impact my ability to recommend use of your products to others. Maintaining an open dialogue with customers is typically a trait of successful companies and it appears your company is changing directions. I am so sorry to hear that and definitely will not make any requests or offer suggestions, ideas, or concepts to iRobot again. I will also share your response on social media so others may receive the message too and possibly not disturb iRobot in the future.

Reviewed Aug. 21, 2023

I would not recommend it. I barely used the I3. For a small house we do not use that often. It keeps breaking till it went out of warranty and they refused to do anything about it. I feel it is a waste of money. They refused to extend my warranty.

Sales & Marketing

Reviewed July 13, 2023

iRobot did a bait & switch when I ordered the I- 4 EVO roomba. Wirecutter review had Amazon & IRobot having the same Prime day sale. I choose to go with IRobot so I would have a future account for replacements. Their delivery was quick, but they sent a cheaper model I - 4 that connects to wifi, instead of the EVO that self empties. I'm 70 yrs. old, not technology minded and have a bad back. It would have been great to get what I ordered, so I wouldn't have to continue to bend over to empty roomba. Now I have the hassle of returning product, and the disappointment in a USA company that I thought had a good reputation.

Customer ServicePriceStaffReliability

Reviewed July 12, 2023

I've had my S9+ for 6 months and it has never been able to finish a job. Error after error. I feel like I am spending more time babysitting the Roomba than it would take for me to vacuum with a regular vacuum. Have had error 8, error 1010, multiple other errors, or it just stops and can't find its way back. I e-mailed iRobot and the support person said maybe it was the filter that was dirty, so I changed the filter, then it ran for 2 minutes and died again. He said error 8 meant that the blower was bad and wanted me to return it so they could fix it. I told him to send me a new one.

When the new one arrived, it wouldn't charge. I found out that the new Roomba was not making electrical contact with the new base, so I swapped out the new base for the old base and it charged up. But after charging up and resetting multiple times to factory reset, it still would stop in the middle of the job or not be able to find its way back. I contacted iRobot again and they sent me a canned reply with reset instructions. I bought the Roomba so I could just push a button and let it go and not have to worry about vacuuming. I did not know I would be spending more time troubleshooting a different issue every time I use it. I would not recommend getting a Roomba until they come up with technology that will allow the Roomba to overcome normally encountered challenges of vacuuming.

Reviewed June 23, 2023

Don't buy an iRobot if you have pets and or allergies. Even if you don't have pets, this is probably a lousy product. This robot is better at telling you to: "empty the bin", "clean the rollers", "clean the green rollers", "clean the brushes" than it is at cleaning. Once you've done all this multiple times, it will pause after 5-10 minutes and issue one of the above comments. This is very hard for those of us with allergies. It creates A LOT of dust. NOT WORTH THE $$$. Would not even take one if someone gave it to me.

Reviewed May 24, 2023

I purchased the Roomba to help me keep the house clean of cat hair, etc. When emptying the Roomba automatically, it makes a loud noise before and after the suction. The noise is very loud. It noise doesn’t sound normal. I called customer service and they sent me another base. Once, I turn on the suction to empty the Roomba, again it made the same strange noise but not as loud as the other. It’s frustrating when you pay $500 for a product and it doesn’t behave the way it should. The base still makes the strange noise like the vacuum is going to break down. iRobot is not giving enough attention to this model since it’s the cheapest model you can buy. Do not buy the i3 Roomba, buy the expensive model j7 + combo ($1300 on sale for $900).

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed April 27, 2023

We're on our 7th Roomba and our last. The 7i has never worked properly and the self emptying never worked well and stopped completely 4 months ago. The spinning brush literally fell off. Worst part - customer service stalled and stalled and asked for the same thing over and over. Said they would call, didn't. Called when I wasn't available despite asking for a specific time and date to speak (Why did we need to speak anyway, they had all my info.) Then after lots of stalling - what do you know? He said it took too long, marked as solved. I know a scam when I see one. NEVER AGAIN ROOMBA.

Verified purchase
    Srinivasa increased rating by 3 stars.
    Customer ServiceOnline & AppStaffReliability
    After a positive interaction with iRobot, Srinivasa increased their star rating on July 17, 2023.

Updated review: July 17, 2023

I have received a replacement unit. Though there is room for overall product improvement the performance has no comparison with the returned unit. It is doing acceptable performance, will definitely update this review if anything changes down the line.

Original Review: April 27, 2023

Recently I purchased S9 product, for ~$1000/-, I did lot of research before purchasing. Now I feel like lot of fake online reviewers made this product and company looks like genuine. Unfortunately, so far, the experience, both product and with support team is so bad that, for the first time I felt, it should be either a defective product sold or it must be having bad cloud influence, as it is cloud enabled product or it is a pure gamble product. Here are the list of issues with the product I faced in short time. Firstly, with great deal I was able to put together the map run after that

1. After doing couple of sloppy jobs one day it suddenly forgot that it is a cleaning robot and started roaming around without cleaning and coming back to dock station. The best support advice I received was remove and recreate the maps or factory reset and recreate the maps because Roomba got confused. 2. Consistently, it shows the job time as 15 min but runs forever, until it drains all the battery, some times I have to stop and send to dock station. 3. While vacuuming, on the edges, it never does it on circular brush side and leaves debris behind. 4. With-in 3 months, the wheels worn out so much that Roomba is stuck in the places where it used to move without any issues. 5. At times, while mapping and vacuuming, suddenly, in the middle of the room, it leaves message as “stuck” and need help, when I go and check I find nothing, moving a bit and pressing "Clean" it will start again.

6. While mapping it finds 2 disjoint spaces in a single room, not sure how to deal with that “virtually created” room. 7. After running map for 6 to 7 hours, when sent Roomba to dock station; in the night, the app considers it as cancelled and will not update the map. This 6-7 hr run is a pure waste of time. 8. When I re-run "map run" and waits it to finish the job, it runs again for 6-7 hr and creates a map which it can not update to existing map. And it created space like “Transformers”. 9. Without any seeming obstacles, it stops job and marks as struck while doing map run.

These few very obvious and big issue with the product. It has been ~6 months I own this product, I spent more time fixing its problems, sending mails to support team, recording videos for support team, emailing videos for support team to look, mapping, remapping, factory resetting, deleting maps and unsuccessfully trying to recreate maps.

Issues with Technical Team, I called 2 times reporting these issues and sent 10+ emails with photos, the best advices I received are “Factory reset”, "Remove & recreate map”, clean the camera, turn on all the lights in the house, open windows, clean bumpers; the worst support I have ever seen. Now I am very confident that issues are no way related to the support advises.

Worst of all, I was asked to record and send emails with videos, while Roomba is vacuuming and I have to wait for Roomba to do the bad job. It is like “Roomba Sitting” job for customers. Do not even have a way to upload these videos, you have to trim and email. What a pitiful product support? At times I wondered, are these issue common with this product?

In between I sent email to publicrelations@irobot.com, investorrelations@irobot.com, partnershiphs@irobot.com; thinking some one in this company care and love their product and company, so that I get proper support. It proved that no one care about either their product or company or customer. I normally restrain from giving bad reviews, reason being “respecting" the fact that people are working in that company and considering "benefit of doubt". But this company products must be pure gamble.

Reviewed Feb. 23, 2023

I spent 800+ on a j7+ and after 11 months and 25 days it stopped working. Raised a complaint, took it to the local tech support and they took 2 weeks to reply that it was dead. Since they took 2 weeks, it's now out of warranty and I have nothing to do but buy a new one if I want to. The worst purchase experience I could ever imagine. I literally used it 164 times.

Price

Reviewed Feb. 17, 2023

Marketing toward pet owners is a major iRobot practice. It’s meh with regard to pet hair. Its technology is good, but doesn’t excuse the lack of any ability to clean. It’s supposed to be first and foremost, a vacuum, yet it’s seriously awful and not worth its cost, even discounted. Neato brand (even an old one) outperforms it by a factor of at least 10. Severely disappointed!

Reviewed Feb. 16, 2023

I'm a longtime iRobot customer, I still have the 760 model working very well. My scooba 450 lasted about 7 years without changing a single part. Now this I4 crap just gave me a headache. I bought this garbage a year ago. As of last week, the infamous error 26 has been telling me I should spend around $86 on a clean head model part. In addition to the constant filter and brush changes... The worst thing is that I bought one for my mother at the same time and yesterday it started to give the same error as mine. What has changed in the iRobot production line for them to drop so much in quality?

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedOnline & App

Reviewed Feb. 4, 2023

I received a Roomba as a gift Christmas of 2021. We moved 9 months later and did not hook our Roomba up in our new place until December. It did not work. We were away in January, so did not call until the beginning of February. The service tech was thorough and could access my Roomba online. His assessment was that the Roomba was probably toast and there are no repair sites in Canada. He said if we wanted we could try a new battery at a discount (batteries are $135 U.S. on the website) but no guarantee it would work. The other option was for us to trade it in for a new model. Our trade in value would be a non-negotiable (his words) $50. So my family paid over $500 for a product that lasted 9 months. I'll never buy this brand again and I will spread the word to others to stay away from this brand.

Customer ServiceInstallation & Setup

Reviewed Feb. 3, 2023

No hard copy user manual, Youtube product instructions inaccurate. Telephone help line ... poor English instruction. Small serial print, model print on unit. Requires maintenance after each usage. Not recommended.

Customer ServiceStaffReliability

Reviewed Feb. 2, 2023

I purchased both items listed above. Both were defective out of the box. The J7 was replaced after it smeared a solid cat crap ALL over my house w/in 3rd of use. They confirmed the unit showed multiple camera and docking errors. The M6 couldn’t be used because of a broken top & elec. cord that didn’t fit. Customer service replaced the j7 & I returned the m6 but had to follow-up repeatedly for the refund to actually be processed on their end and fight with them to provide the compensation for the hrs of cleaning which they initially offered (minimally) upon my request because the escalation team decided not to honor what was previously offered.

They claim they did good because they replaced/refunded the items - even though the defect was their error. And I’m still left without a product I wanted. Their escalation team, who are in a position to help, would not reply to my questions despite repeated requests and turned what could have been a simple fix into a convoluted mess which has now lasted over a month so far. I would never choose iRobot again. It’s not worth the time I invested cleaning, calling, returning and following up.

Reviewed Jan. 25, 2023

I got an i4 vacuum with base. Initially I had a part that wasn’t working so they replaced it right away. However, after just a few months, the vacuum stopped working altogether. I got a “communication” error. I was told that I needed a replacement and that it was under warranty BUT that they had no stock to replace it and had no timeframe for when they would have stock.

It’s been two months and still have my broken vacuum with no estimate on when mine will be replaced. When I’ve experienced this in the past, I would receive one that was of the same value but not this company. I checked the warranty to see what timeframe is listed for replacement under the warranty and there is some legal statement about replacing it in a “commercial reasonable period of time” meaning they have whatever time period they want to replace something under warranty (or a year in some companies). I’ve never received such horrible service for a warranty before.

Customer ServicePriceStaffReliability

Reviewed Oct. 27, 2022

Bought it from QVC about a week and half ago. So excited about it because of the great deal I was getting price wise. Got it yesterday. Hooked it up today and it was really simple to set up. That was great! But then oh so very disappointing when it didn’t suction. All it did was collect dirt and dander and hair all over the body of it. I called the customer help line and waiting an hour when initially the wait time was seven to ten minutes for a customer rep to attend to me. Nobody ever answered my call. I’m pretty good at trouble shooting and am always eager to find the problem if I can, especially if it’s something I did wrong. I’m confident I set this up completely and correctly and in the end I ended up receiving a defective robot. What a let down! Purchase at your own risk. Make sure you don’t throw out your boxes that it came in. This is a big financial purchase so beware! And shame on QVC for endorsing. My bad all the way around.

Reviewed Oct. 25, 2022

Terrible vacuum!! It barely works and won’t dock itself 90% of the time. Usually, I start it when I leave for work in the morning. Before I even get to work it has already had some type of error so it stops vacuuming. It gets stuck in the middle of the room on absolutely nothing then it runs out of battery because it wasn’t on the dock all day. When I get home, I can’t start it because the battery is dead so I put it on the dock to charge. It gets just enough battery to turn on then it undocks itself and just sits next to the base until it dies again, it’s ridiculous. When I’m home on the weekends and I run it I literally have to fix it 20-30 times before it will complete the whole house. Waste of money for sure!

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2022

iRobot Case Number: **
    Case Subject: **

Purchased in Nov 2021. Failed August 2022.

Messaged online to Customer Support and got a response after 1 month. Thereafter no further response. Tried to call many times on ALL their Customer Support number. Announcement said wait time is more than half an hour. Waited 2 hours & got no response. Asked for call back several times and got no response. So it seems like a $349 ripoff.

Reviewed Oct. 12, 2022

On September 23, 2022 I sent customer service a note about our vacuum not working. Here is the response I got from them the same day: "Thank you for contacting iRobot Customer support. We will respond to your message within one to two working days." I have yet to hear from them and it's October 12, 2022.

Reviewed Oct. 12, 2022

Terrible. Terrible equipment, service, longevity. I purchased two iRobots for my home, one upstairs, one downstairs. Both the heads went out within 6 months 7 months. I called the service line that just gave me a runaround, could not get any help. The part to replace it is almost $200 for each one. The same module head went out on both. Complete junk. I would never buy another, unfortunately family member purchased one during the 6 months that ours actually ran. And they are having the same problem. Stay as far away as you can from this product.

iRobot Company Information