1.92/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

iRobot

IRobot is a technology company that specializes in autonomous robots that clean inside and outside the home. Designed with ease and performance in mind, their products include four Roomba vacuum models, two Braava mops and the Mirra pool cleaner.

Quit paying for costly home repairs

95 iRobot Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

My Roomba was a lot of fun for 3 months. After that it started acting finicky. Customer service sent me some replacement parts that didn't really solve the problem. Then they sent a new battery that didn't solve the problem. Then they sent more parts and nothing worked. I asked if I could return it and they said, "No." So I have a box of Roomba parts that are useless.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I am a gadget freak and have a particular fondness for vacuum cleaners (don't ask). We currently have two regular excellent Shark vacuums, one for each floor. I am the person in charge of vacuuming when we are having guests. (Even if the house was vacuumed a few days ago!!) When my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I told her I wanted to try a Roomba so that I could have "someone else" do my vacuuming duties. And that is what I got.

I am simply amazed at how well this thing works; how it is able to work its way around furniture; how it returns home when the cleaning bin is full; how it returns home when it needs re-charging; and how well it cleans; and the kind of "map" it provides of the area it cleans. Way more effective at cleaning that I could have imagined for such a vacuum with a motor that pales in comparison to that on our uprights. It most certainly picks up the dog hair and regular dust and is able to navigate from carpet to hardwood to rugs with fringe quite easily.

Is it perfect? When compared to me vacuuming with our regular vacuum, no but way more than good enough and perfect for doing the job between our semi-weekly SERIOUS vacuuming --- or when guests are coming. I also take all of the chairs around our eating table and kitchen bar area and set them up on the table and counter. Necessary? No but when I vacuum, I move them out of the way so I could at least give the Roomba the same chance. We close the doors for those areas we don't want cleaned and use the "invisible wall" for another part we don't want cleaned.

We got the 2nd from the top model (960) and it does everything we need... And then some. There lots of options on the iPhone app to control it but, for example, we don't set schedules as we want to be able to move things around first and to ensure we have closed the doors, etc. The only anomaly I have experienced is when I moved it upstairs to see how it would do. It must have gotten confused but while it got the area incredibly clean, it never stopped and cleaned for over 6 hours. It has never done anything like that downstairs. HIGHLY recommended. Very highly.

Original review: June 22, 2018

This experience is in my completely renovated home. (Everything is new except studs in the walls.) This machine has left black marks from the plastic body on all of my white baseboards. I wipe off the body each day, so it is not dirt. All baseboards will need to be repainted. It has also climbed the metal pedestal bases of all my chairs, scratching them to the point that they need to be replaced. (These were new also). I am unsure how the machine is able to do this since it cannot propel over a piece of tortilla chip on the floor. I would advise against ever purchasing this item.

Original review: June 17, 2018

All that I can say is that I am simply amazed. I had serious reservations about spending money on a Roomba 960 but the reviews were all so positive, that I decided to go for it. We have lived in our new single story 2,000 SF home for a little over a year. With a back yard and two dogs the tile floors required daily (and sometimes more) sweeping to remove all the dirt, sand, grass, hair and dust bunnies. I was getting tired of all of the furniture moving and cleaning each and every day and decided to give the robot a try, knowing that I could return same if not satisfied. It arrived only 3 days after placing the order directly from iRobot. I programmed it to do the entire house, (except for the master bed and bath whose door is kept closed at night due to its separate A/C system), at midnight. The bedroom and bath are done independently several times a week during daytime hours.

Each and every cleaning during the week that we have had "Doc" (short for our "documented" worker) has produced a full dust bin. Stuff just seems to appear under furniture, in corners and at entrance ways each and every day, but "Doc" is able to find it. Since we have no carpets, it takes only an hour and a half to do the "midnight" cleaning, all on a single charge. He has gotten stuck twice. Once on a low hanging electric cord (which we now have elevated) and once by jamming himself under the refrigerator door. While I did get an alert each time, without a sound associated with it, they were overlooked until I awoke in the AM. We may eventually program him for only 4 days a week, but only if and when I can walk the house barefooted without having the bottoms of my feet pick up dirt and debris... something that would continuously happen when I was doing the sweeping and swiftering myself.

Original review: June 5, 2018

They don't mention the fact that the vacuum won't clean dark surfaces. It thinks the dark surface is a cliff and they don't allow the cliff sensors to be shut off. I would never have bought this if I had known about it not being able to vacuum black carpet. This is what they said, "Whenever Roomba approaches a dark surface, Roomba can mistake these surfaces as cliffs or drop off and will try to back away from it or eventually stop with an Error 6 code. This is unavoidable, in certain situations we recommend that Virtual Walls be used to confine Roomba to desired areas. We do apologize, but there isn't a way to disable this feature with the cliff sensor. We do understand that the carpet is one of the most important things to be cleaned. We have noticed that some customers increase the lighting by opening windows and adding extra lights etc in the areas that has the dark surfaces are and it worked for them."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about iRobot?

Original review: May 24, 2018

We have tried every way to get help repairing our 805 AeroForce unit nothing happens. American English is not used for verbal information... Online info does not seem to exist. Time lost trying to overcome this problem has gone into hours and still no help. Do NOT buy direct from company. Purchase thru COSTCO ONLY. They issue credit and take cleaner back.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I contacted iRobot regarding a Roomba 980 (top of the line model at the time) and how I was having an issue with it no longer working after it ran over a "semi-liquid mass" (dog poop, though I didn't tell them that). Even though I had bought the unit new from an eBay vendor, as opposed to an "authorized vendor", they still replaced an $800 unit no-questions-asked. I just had to pay for return shipping on the damaged vacuum. They were not under any legal obligation to replaced the vacuum because I had bought it from an unauthorized third party, but they didn't question the purchase or the "extreme" circumstances in which it was damaged. Good for them. Good customer service, very honest. Very pleased.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Roomba 980 - While iRobot continues to develop technically somewhat sound products, don't count on their technical customer service to help you in any way. First of all their English is very poor. 2nd they are very poor listeners. iRobot might as well automate their technical support. No difference. Do not connect to their cloud. It is unsafe. Treat their products as disposable and price is all that matters when considering robot vacuums. I should have done more comparisons. They are quick to sell you more parts to throw at a problem, but not technical enough to go beyond a script they are given.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I bought my first Roomba in 2006. It worked great for the first year, and it was a novelty that I was completely taken with. But after the first year, it ran less and less between chargings. iRobot suggested that I replace the battery, which I did for about $49.99 (as I remember). It never ran for more than 50 or so minutes after the replacement, and after a few months began to do strange things, like run around in circles, or go backward & forward in a straight line. When it began to buck (like a bronco!) I contacted iRobot. (And yes... I did clean it after every use & regularly picked out the hair & lint).

iRobot doesn't have a service department, nor could/would they recommend a company to service my Roomba, so I took my chances & sent my Roomba off across the country to a company that promised to recondition it & replace the parts, for $199. When I got the Roomba back, it worked fine for a few months, and then died. I was pretty down on the product at that point... after spending so much on the initial product, then on the battery, then on the reconditioning, I felt that I should be getting more out of the product than 3 years of acceptable service. I replaced it with a corded vacuum.

When the corded vacuum began to need more service than it was worth, I went back to the Roomba & bought one in the 800 series. Again... worked OK for a while, but then only ran for about 30-35 minutes before needing a re-charge; at this rate, it took me all day to get the place "swept", and I decided it wasn't worth it. I docked it and have used it rarely since then. In short... not worth the price, since you really need a solid, dependable vacuum/sweeper for the regular cleaning, and this is a lot of (expensive) trouble for in-between maintenance.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Our iRobot Roomba 960 has never worked in the 16 months that we have owned it. Even when brand new, it would never clean the whole house and would die at some point. When I called customer service, I was told that our house is too big and that I couldn't expect it to clean that much area. That's utter nonsense -- the house is only 2750 square feet. Nonetheless, we closed off all areas of the house except the living room, the dining room and the kitchen -- about 1000 square feet and the darn thing still died without recharging.

I have been in contact with the customer service folks for about ten days now and have jumped through all the hoops they have suggested, to no avail. It will run about 80 minutes, but refuses to dock and re-charge, so it just dies somewhere. It has also never thoroughly cleaned the house, but rather jumps from room to room without finishing any of them. This product has been a big disappointment and a complete waste of $800. We wouldn't get another one, no matter how much of a discount they offered us. Live and learn. Caveat emptor!

iRobot Company Information