Find an Appliances partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Hunter Fans Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hunter Fans?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hunter Fans?

Original review: July 16, 2015

I brought 6 grand cayman fan model 54050 and install them. And they all let out a funny smell. Is that normal? Will the smell go away? Does anyone know the problem or is this normal?

Original review: July 16, 2015

I purchase 2 Hunter Stratford fans, Model 20725, 3 years ago at Lowe's. About a month ago the light in one of the fans stopped working. I had an electrician out to troubleshoot and the problem is in the switch housing assembly. I contacted Hunter Customer Service and was informed the fan has been discontinued and no more replacement parts are being manufactured and no light switch housing assembly was available.

They offered me and friends and family 45% discount to buy a replacement fan, but of course I need to purchase 2, as the 2 original fans are in the same room within 12 feet of each other. Another slap in the face came when they sent the 45% discount code to my email and it had an expiration date that required me to use it within 48 hours! Not a month, not 6 months, not a year, but 2 days! I've bought my last Hunter fan!!!

Original review: July 14, 2015

I should have read the reviews on the brand Hunter. Installed the fan, worked fine till a month later. Shuts off. It's a faulty product. Model 20593 looks nice but obviously a piece of crap. Been on hold with the company for over 40min now, everyone's having issues with them. I should have kept my old fan up. HUNTER Products are a no-no and I will definitely let everyone know.

Original review: July 10, 2015

I purchased a brand new Hunter Fan at Home Depot three years ago. When originally installed, it made a loud humming sound consistently when on. I called and they immediate knew the problem and sent a replacement module. After a year and a half or so, it happened again. I called and they immediately sent me another module without question and said that this usually happens on this model #20714. It happened again a month ago and they refuse to replace the module unless I pay for it. I asked if it could cause a fire - NO ANSWER FROM HUNTER. I asked if this was a defective fan, NO ANSWER. I believe there should have been a recall to fix this potentially dangerous problem. They will not talk to me now. I have been buying Hunter Fans for over 40 years and I now I will never purchase another with their attitude.

Original review: July 10, 2015

I have a home with 4 Hunter ceiling fans. I've had to replace the switches (light or fan speed) on 3 of them. Home Depot sells the replacement switches for these fans -- why do you think they have them in stock? It's because the switches on these fans are always failing!!!

Original review: July 4, 2015

Bought an awesome Hunter Discovery fan with Earth globe and spaceships on fan blades. Worked perfectly at first. Installed correctly but later that night I went to check on my son. I opened his door and immediately smelled burning plastic. The top of the motor was extremely hot. We took off the light kit and ran the fan again. Same result and the wires leading to the light kit were hot. My son is upset and scared about sleeping with a ceiling fan in his room. After reading reviews, we will try to return it.

Original review: June 22, 2015

I have a pair of Hunter Fans, model 26836. They have been running just fine for several years (5, perhaps?). Suddenly, one bulb in one fan blew. A couple of days later, when I turned them on, the other two bulbs in the same fan "blew" (the second fan is still symptom-free). When I replaced the bulbs, I realized that only one was bad; the other two were still fine -- the light bulb sockets simply weren't getting any power -- the other two bulbs were not blown after all. The fan still seemed fine, and would run at all speeds.

A bit of Internet searching pointed at the wattage limiter. It's a tiny little piece, 5/8" x 5/16" x 1/8", with a pink and a white wire on one end. It's marked "Y59 R 130C" in black dot-matrix ink on the top line of one side, and "B03 26836" on the second line (so, apparently, the second line identifies the fan model #). The back side, which is impossible to read without removing it from the light fixture, says "Limitor" in one circle, and "14 T160" in another. These are embossed in the limiter's white plastic housing.

I cut both wires (pink and white) as close to the limiter as possible, stripped them, twisted them together and put the smallest wire nut I could find on them, and put it all back together. The fan and lights work just fine. I use this fan with three 25-watt incandescent bulbs, so "max wattage" is a non-issue for me. This wattage limiter is a government-mandated component, apparently designed to keep us from driving too much power through the fan's power line, and/or generating too much heat from the bulbs. As I said, for me, it's a non-issue, so I assume I'm safe in bypassing a limiter for a limit I'll never hit.

Hunter doesn't sell just this part -- they required that I buy a new light kit. With tax and shipping, it was going to be about $60 -- more than the fan cost new! I think it's reprehensible that Hunter can't / won't be of more assistance, and instead goes after an over-priced sale of more replacement parts than I need. The bottom line is that my fan's lights ARE now working correctly (and the fan itself, which WAS still working correctly, CONTINUES to work correctly), and I managed to bypass Hunter's overpriced attempt to over-sell me replacement parts. Now I know what to do when the lights "go out" on the second fan.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a licensed electrician. I am not recommending that anyone else make this modification to their fan; I am merely recounting what happened to work for me. Implement this at your own risk. Your mileage may vary. Bypassing this limiter may void your warranty and/or your U/L certification. May cause headache, dizziness, blurred vision, dry mouth, hives, or satisfaction in knowing you solved your problem. Have a nice day.

Original review: June 16, 2015

Brand new fan/light and it doesn't work. Lowe's washes their hands of it. Have been going back and forth with Hunter Fan customer service people for months. No part arrived and no further communication being received from them. Don't buy from them. They don't stand behind their products, you can't get a response from them and it appears nobody answers the phone. We have 6 more fans to buy. They WON'T be Hunter fans.

Original review: June 16, 2015

Hunter Caribbean Breeze 54" Fan-white - We purchased for newly renovated cottage. Loved the look. Only high and low speeds worked. (Medium speed was same as slow, and very very Slow.) Third time using while in bed it came crashing down, shattering glass and breaking fan. This is a VERY heavy fan. Our small dog was under it minutes before. Would have killed him or us if we had been under it. It let loose from threading, not from installation in ceiling. Found many, many complaints online with exact same incident. Bought from Lighting Direct online. Plan to request a refund. If I don't receive, will consider getting an attorney.

Original review: June 13, 2015

I have purchased many Hunter fans with lights for years. With the last purchases during the past two years, they have failed more than once, and just last week there was a fire in the light kit in my tenant's kitchen. They had been smelling burning wire scent and then the fire did occur. Luckily they shut off the power so the damage was limited to the light fixture and the fan. This is absolutely shocking. What happened to their quality control especially in light of all the complaints. This is not a one-off issue.

Original review: June 12, 2015

I bought a Hunter Douglas fan with remote control in Feb 2015. Now after 4 short months the light kit does not work properly. It's so disappointing to spend all that money on a beautiful fan only to be having problems already!! I will attempt to follow up with the company but from what I'm reading it doesn't seem that this company stands behind its products. So very disappointed!!

Original review: May 31, 2015

I have a Hunter Air Purifier. It was time to replace the UV Light and filters - I ordered the parts from Hunter online. The parts arrived. I followed the directions in the owners manual - the UV bulb would not come out. I called the technical assistance number in the manual. It sounded like I woke the guy up. He started reading the directions in the owners manual. I explained I had the manual. He advised there was nothing more he could do for me. I advised I wanted to return the parts. He connected me to Customer Service. Upon explaining my problem the person put me on hold and transferred me to Technical Assistance - the same guy I spoke with less than 10 minutes ago did not recall my problem.

I hung up on him, the next morning I called Hunter's Corporate Office. I spoke with a Customer Service Specialist. I explained my situation. She advised the parts could be returned with a restock fee. I advised I thought that was unfair. She advised she would speak with her manager and call me back, which she did. They waved the restock fee. I shipped the parts UPS I proof of delivery. I called the person I spoke with to advise the parts were received the next morning. I received an e-mail from her advising that credit had been issued. Upon receiving my credit card statement no credit had been issued. I called the credit card company and they have entered a dispute on my behalf. I have followed up with the credit card company. They have yet to receive a response from Hunter. Stay away from Hunter - their products and Customer Service are crap.

Original review: May 10, 2015

I bought a Hunter Fan with light 6 months ago- Regalia model. Had an electrician install it. It was installed over our kitchen table. Five minutes after this years Mother Day dinner at the house the fan came crashing down to the table... it appears the shaft snapped. Luckily no one was hurt... Hunter Fans stink!

Original review: May 8, 2015

We have 6 Hunter fans in our house. We bought them all because we believed they were the best quality and would last forever. We were wrong. We had an certified electrician install them. One of the fans that do not work showed problems within the first month. We had the electrician come back to our house to fix the problem, and he said that it was a problem with the fan. My husband emailed the company, took pictures, described the issue, and never heard back from Hunter. The second fan that is not working did work fine in the beginning, but within a year, on its highest speed, no longer works. It moves slower than the slowest setting on all our other fans.

When I called customer service to discuss the issues, the only thing that he was able to offer us was a long troubleshooting email that he said he had never seen before and it would be too long to discuss it with me on the phone. So, essentially, I have to read through it and try to figure it out, even though it is obviously a motor issue which they claim to cover for life. And he said there was nothing he could do to help us with the other fan that never worked from the beginning. It is one of two in the room that match, so we are left with nothing to do, but buy two new fans to replace them and a new one in our kitchen. Hunter fans are supposed to be the best and last forever. It is obvious that this is not the case and their customer service and warranty is a joke at best.

Original review: April 27, 2015

Wattage limiters placed in Hunter Fans cause a true fire hazard. Replacement light kits are expensive, and by law, come with wattage limiters. Spending this $60+ is not only unfair, but will result in having the same problem further down the line. Tutorials on how to bypass this problem are helpful, but practice safe DIY.

Original review: April 23, 2015

Bought this fan in 2013. LED lights went out and it is $120 for the new light kit. Suppose to be a 10 year warranty and they have not made this particular model for 10 years but can't ship me a new light without a receipt that Lowes can't provide. Maybe I'm the only one that doesn't save receipts for 10 years. Not even if I ship them the broken light back. I'll never own another Hunter product again.

Original review: April 17, 2015

I bought Hunter Ridgefield Ceiling Fan 1 year ago. The light kit went bad after 1 year though the fan was good. Then I bought a new light kit to replace it. After one month, that one was not working again. I did some Google search trying to find out what was the issue since I never experience light kit issue with any other ceiling fans. After I found this website and read the comment about Hunter fan, I was shocked so many complains about the Hunter ceiling fan light kit issue. I think the products itself has serious problem. I won't recommend anyone to buy Hunter product especially ceiling fan.

Original review: April 17, 2015

2 year old fan is suddenly making noise and now the light box is not working. The same tech who installed fans for me 20 years ago, installed new fans (one is the Hunter). It is going to be cheaper to replace the fan than to service it. I am sad to say that the new fan will be a Hunter (I like their style).

Original review: April 11, 2015

We purchased 4 Hunter ceiling fans for a home remodel about two years ago. Since then 3 out 4 have had the lights fail on them. One they replaced under warranty, the others were after their one-year warranty period and they basically said 'tough luck, the warranty has expired and we have no obligation to you'. This is a ridiculous failure rate that they had the nerve to try and blame on our home wiring, which was all brand new and done by professional electricians, who also installed the fans. There was a time when Hunter represented quality, no more. They must have been bought out and now they're just wringing every dime out of the name. It's just made in China junk that they won't stand behind. Do not buy!

Original review: April 8, 2015

I used the fans all last summer but not the lights. The only problem is that the pull chain was hard to pull to turn on the lights so I just did not use that feature.

This past winter, every time I turned on the lights, there was a burning smell of rubber. I am afraid of a house fire. So I no longer have ceiling lights since I will not use the lights in the fan and now I do not think I will use the fans either. I have three installed by an engineer. I am old (77); live alone and cannot afford to buy three more fans. Thank you.

Original review: March 14, 2015

I purchased my Hunter ceiling fan about a year and a half ago. My light kit stopped working. The fan work. I had the correct wattage bulbs installed. I was told Hunter made good products.

Original review: March 10, 2015

We purchased a Hunter Fan for our dinette and had it installed by a licensed electrician. The lighting fixture went bad and we contacted company and they sent us a new fixture, but we had to have it installed again. About a year later that one went bad and we had to pay for a new one. Right before Christmas of 2014 it went bad again. We purchased a Hunter because we thought they were top of the line in the ceiling fan business. Wrong! My son has had his Hunter fan less than a year in a bedroom and the lighting fixture has gone out. My husband said the contacts for the light bulbs are poorly made. I have fan in our family room from another company and it has worked for over 20 years. I should have stuck with that brand!

Original review: March 6, 2015

My opinion, I like the reviews and online discussions of hundreds of others online. Have learned that Hunter fans continues to manufacture equipment that is designed to fail often, in order to force you to buy replacement designed to quickly fail over priced replacement parts. It was known fact at the time of the ceiling fan's light kit's manufacture that Hunter was making light kits that would not take standard bulbs available during the fan's span of use. CFL or LED lights, the lights that were know to be the standard and that incandescent manufacturing was being terminated.

It was known that during the 25 year anticipated life of the ceiling fan most users would use what is available, CFLs and LEDs. Their plan was to 1 - print labels that made it impossible to determine the model through micro print and sloppy printing. Print no warning labels not to use standard CFL or LED bulbs. 2 - Use the fact that no one can read the labels so Hunter fan call center just tell you they won't help if you can't read the non-legible labels. If you can read the label, they charge you 70% of the cost of a new fan for replacement parts. Even Hunter new 2015 fans contain these guaranteed failure parts.

Hunter is a scam. You will have to either rewire the product yourself soon after you buy it or have it done professionally or continue to be ripped off buying Hunter replacement parts. My opinion, buy something that is not a Chinese rip off.

Original review: March 4, 2015

I replaced an old fan with a Hunter fan from Home Depot. The new fan was controlled by the wall switch but also a remote control. It worked fine for 1 day then both light and fan would no longer turn on. There had been no power outage, the breakers had not blown and power had not been lost to the rest of the room. I flipped the breaker off and on and the fan worked again, for another day, then the same thing happened. I followed the wiring instructions carefully. Is this just a cheap fan or could something else be causing such behavior?

Original review: March 4, 2015

The lights worked for about a week. Hunter sent me a replacement part that didn't fix the problem. It's been 8 months with just the fan working. Don't make the same mistake and assume Hunter makes quality fans. Go with a different brand. It's looking like I will be replacing my Hunter ceiling fan with another brand.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2015

We purchased the 60 inch fan/light a year and a half ago. Came home and flipped the light on and it started sparking. After sparks and popping the light finally blew. Had we not been home, I'm scared of what could have happened. Obviously something is very wrong with their product and they don't seem to want to change anything. I'm not even going to bother w/ this brand or calling customer service. I would rather buy another product for more money than put my family at risk. Shame on this company. Need to find one made in the USA!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2015

We purchased a Hunter fan and light about five years ago. Lights were used very few times. Been using the lights more often and they started flickering when we turned them on and after a while they would light up. The model is 28029, we contacted Hunter and they said it was the "limiter" that quit working. They had a new one for $45 plus $10 shipping fee. Did some research online and found others had the same problem. The "limiter" is something the government requires on all new fans so you can't put in a larger bulb. We took the limited off and rewired the light kit and that fixed the problem. Hope this helps someone else with their problem.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2015

Hello all, I will begin with this disclaimer: I AM NOT AN ELECTRICIAN, I AM A HOMEOWNER THAT ENJOYS THE SATISFACTION OF DIY PROBLEM-SOLVING. By submitting the following information. I am not, repeat, not recommending you take the same steps. I am only sharing my experience with an issue that so many others have also had!

Okay, so thankfully I never bothered calling Hunter directly (sounds like a migraine-inducing experience). I had the same issue with my Hunter Model 28683 fan. I installed 3 of these in my home. I was lucky enough to go more than a year before having this issue with one of my fans. I went to my local hardware store (a REAL hardware store with KNOWLEDGEABLE staff) that carries Hunter fans. While they were aware of the issue with the lights, they unfortunately did not have a solution. So I purchased a replacement pull chain switch for $3.50 figuring I'd at least give the easiest solution a shot. It didn't work.

I then spent some time tracing all the wires in the light housing trying to figure out why something as simple as a light switch/socket could be so horribly defective in so many fans. As it turns out, there's nothing wrong with the switch or sockets. The issue is a WATTAGE LIMITER wired inline with the light wiring. I did some Google searches on this and here's what I found: Federal Law now requires that all new ceiling fans include a wattage limiter to limit the maximum wattage of any ceiling fan light fixture to 190 watts or less. It seems this is mostly an energy conservation rule, but I did not research it much further.

I removed this wattage limiter in my light fixture and "TA DA" the lights work again! In my fixture this was a very small, white plastic box with a pink and white wire coming out of it. I found online, though, that there are many different shapes and sizes of this type of device. I don't have any need or plans to ever install bulbs higher than 60W in my fans, so I'm still operating the unit within the Federal guidelines and manufacturer's design specifications.

I have no idea why the Hunter company isn't more forthcoming and helpful with this issue (they MUST know that this is the issue if a do-it-yourselfer figured it out in an hour!). I would assume you could source a similar part to replace yours, but I'm just going to leave mine out. I hope this information is helpful to your situations and you can once again have lights that go on when you flip the switch! Good luck everyone!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2015

I am on my second Hunter fan, Model #28030. The first lighting kit failed less than one year after it was installed. I called them and they sent a replacement one, basically no questions asked. The second one just went bad today after working fine for 4 years. This afternoon we smelled a burning odor in our kitchen area and couldn't figure what it was and fortunately my wife saw some smoke coming from the light unit on the fan. I promptly turned the light off, felt the light unit and it was very hot. I let it cool down and then took it apart to see what was going on. I saw some sort of electronic component that was hot and charred.

From reading all the other complaints, they obviously have a design flaw that needs a recall. This is a fire hazard! I can't believe they would put a family and many lives at risk with these units! Furthermore, it sounds like Hunter has a poor customer service call in line, judging from all the complaints here. I guess I will see how my luck goes tomorrow... :(

Resolution response: Jan. 27, 2015

I wish to retract my prior review. I made a mistake and looked at the fan switch instead of the light switch. I just replaced the switch with a generic one in under 15 minutes. I am sorry for flying off the handle. But, I still don't know if Hunter stands behind their products or not, since I don't have a product of theirs that has failed.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2015

I have an 11-year-old Hunter 52-inch Wellesley 20485. The fan still works fine but the light switch sticks. It has complicated wiring that prevents me from replacing it with a generic switch. Hunter says the part is no longer available but they did try to sell me a new fan. I just need the light switch. Hunter DOES NOT stand behind their products.

Hunter Fans Company Information