1.37/5
  • 1 star
Based on 197 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 2, 2017

232 Hunter Fans Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 4, 2016

Bought Model 53176, paid an electrician to install it. Five days later there was a loud pop and the light stopped working. After 3 calls and 2 emails to Hunter they sent a new wire harness. I did tell them I didn't know if I could change this wiring myself. I was told by customer service it was not Hunter's responsibility to get it wired. I called the electrician to put in the new wire harness for me, the plugs did not match so he had to cut the plugs off and wire it together. This has been very costly and very trying, but I have learned through it all not to do business with Hunter again.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2016

Do you know how many Hunter Fans have been sold with a Bowl Light Kit/Center Chain Pull Design for both fan speed and light? For example, fan models 51065, 52109, 52110, 20479. Millions. Well the distributor for the Switch Housing Assembly (part number K0375-01 on new fan models; basically the brains and controls of the entire fan) has discontinued this part. Without this part you have no lights and no way to control the fan.

You would think that a 100+ year fan company dedicated to quality and customer service would not let this happen or they would have another distributor on the line to fill the void or they would find another creative solution for such an important part other than the way the Company has chosen to handle this problem. Yes a creative work around or a better solution than current is what I expect from a Fortune company like Hunter. Well that is not the case and to boot, their customer service representatives are poorly trained on this matter; if you try calling you will experience long wait times and may have to complete numerous telephone calls to customer service simply to obtain an entire understanding of the matter: NOTHING CAN BE DONE if your fan has a bad Switch Housing Assembly. I fortunately had two.

Not only are the customer service reps poorly trained but they give disingenuous remarks and worthless solutions to the problem. For example, "perhaps you can go online and find old new inventory in the box from the many online fan part suppliers." Or, "try contacting Amazon.com, the largest online merchandise vendor in the world; they should be able to help out." There is no more stock out there and there is no work around for the millions of fans affected. Way to go Hunter!

For future purchases, I will stick with a competitor fan company. The price is always cheaper with them and I stand a better chance of good service from a younger company. So what did I do with two fans rendered useless? I purchase at market rates two new fans (with already obsolete Switch Housing Assemblies), took the parts out that I needed and stored the boxes in my garage with the remainder of fan parts. Someday, we will use two brand new fans without light kits. Hopefully at least one fan speed will work when we connect the fans to power. Good luck to me the consumer. Hope everything works out!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2016

Purchased Model # 59244, 44" low profile with remote. Description stated that it was reversible. For me that means walking to the shed, getting a step ladder, unscrewing the glass globe and flipping the switch, then reversing the first four steps. "Very convenient". I mean with remote control, how hard would it be to add this feature. I can buy a $39 fan with remote reverse. Even on the $19 fan it replaced the direction switch was on the OUTSIDE of the housing. Hunter used to make quality products, but no more, last one for me.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

I purchased the Hunter Highbury fan model 52005 on Oct 24, 2015. Initially (winter) only the light was used. In May 2016 we started to use the fan. It ran nicely for several weeks during nights. Then one night while using the light (but not the fan) the light went out spontaneously. Disconnected power and waited a while. Light came on as commanded by remote, but it stayed on only for 6 minutes. Tried again, but the same thing happened. Soon after that the fan stopped running after running for about 2 hours. Now (since June 2016) neither the light or the fan works at all. The remote appears to be fine as the light on it lights. Hunter wants me to test the limiter on the fan before honoring any warranty. This involves disconnecting some of the wiring in the canopy. For that I get a professional.

This company has become crap. I too have heard that Hampton Bay is basically the same company, and also that Casablanca is part of the same conglomerate. I think the problem is that the digital and transistor circuits in these newer fans cannot take even moderate heat and cannot tolerate power surges that are common in house wiring due to weather and other power outages. Such circuits have no place in an appliance that should last decades. Instead they think it is ok if a circuit fails in a year. This is nonsense. This company is guilty of bad design, bad oversight, and bad management. If you buy from Hunter/Hampton Bay/Home Depot/Lowe's, this is what you are buying. My fan never even worked for a month of operation. Fortunately HD has agreed to give me a store credit for the fan when I take it down. But their store is still full of Hunter Fans. Same with Lowe's.

Original review: July 27, 2016

After purchasing a Hunter fan that was defective, I have been trying for over a year to get any kind of customer support to NO AVAIL. After over a year of phone calls and e-mails, I simply give up! Tonight I took down that Hunter fan and threw it in their garbage. I purchased another brand and it works perfectly! MUCH easier to install as well. I have absolutely NO use for this company or their product. BUYER BEWARE. You are buying JUNK!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hunter Fans?

Original review: June 27, 2016

Purchased several Hunter Fans and when the one fan's remote failed, contacted Customer Service to purchase another remote and since it is generic, it does not work. And, to make it worse, you have to completely de-install the fan to sync the fan with the remote. Too much work. And, they charge you a re-stocking fee for the remote that does not work. Do not purchase a Hunter Fan.

Original review: May 26, 2016

Several years ago I had invested the money and installed four Hunter fans in my home in hopes that I would save some money in the longer term by not always having the air conditioner on. I thought I was buying quality fans. The sleek design of model number 21591 I put in three of the rooms. One of the fans stopped working. I paid to have an electrician come in again to see if he could fix and as it turns out he could not. I thought it might have been the remote, so of course I purchased batteries. Naturally that was not the issue.

I finally called customer service and they told me that it was the receiver that needed to be replaced. Rather than just sending me out the part for free (since I said I bought 4 of their fans!) they wanted to charge me $50 for the part. The only break they suggested was that if I ordered it online I would save on shipping. REALLY? Oh yeah, and they don't provide any service whatsoever. You are on your own and yet again, I need to have an electrician come in. How about providing remuneration on selling me a faulty fan? I am beyond frustrated and I just hope this review will help someone else.

Original review: May 25, 2016

Purchased 52" remote controlled ceiling fan, professionally installed 18 months ago. Fan would not work, removed new fan and took back to Home Depot. Exchanged for another Hunter Bay. Installed new fan, worked 18 months then DEAD IN THE WATER for this one today!!! Will never buy another Hunter Bay. Ceiling fan is 17' feet high in dining room and personal safety is again an issue working that high off a 18' ladder!!! If there's a class action lawsuit out there, count me in!!! Hunter Bay is junk!!!

Original review: May 24, 2016
I have a model 5971 Hunter fan. At various times lights start blinking. Hunter sent replacement receiver. Problem still occurred. Saw on Web problem was voltage limiter--solution; bypass limiter device. However on this model limiter is part of receiver. Hunter said, in essence, tough! Must be some signal coming from outside. There is nothing within at least 600 ft of house. No transmitting device in house. The only way to stop blinking is to go to breaker panel and reset. Bulbs are LED bulbs that came with fan. We tried sync transmitter, eliminating dimming function. It's nuts awaking at 3 AM or at other times with lights flashing. Hunter is no help!

Ideas?

Original review: May 12, 2016

Purchased this from Costco. After 2+hours of installation the light on this fan would not light up a closet. I changed out the bulbs for 100 W led and they still could not make it thru the light cover. I called customer service who could only suggest I purchase another fan or light kit. Being disgusted with their response, I used paint remover on the inside of the globe to remove what looked like white wall house paint. I think problem is solved. No thanks to Hunter Fans that used to be top of the line, not anymore.

Original review: May 12, 2016

If you read through this you will see scores of people with the same problem. The lights on their Hunter fan goes out while the fan continues to work. The problem is a component in the light wiring harness called a limiter. Since March 24th until today, may 12th, I have emailed and spoken with Hunter customer service and I have concluded it is a complete waste of time. Hunter says they will send out 2 wiring harnesses for the 2 Hunter fans I have, both with no working lights. When I call and say I didn't receive we go through the same routine again because they don't read their own emails to me. I just got a confirming email and it shows they will send -- in 5-7 days -- 1 piece of the wrong part!!!

I explained the problem to an electrician and asked if he understood what I was saying. He said, "Yes, I do. I had the same problem with a Hunter fan." I asked what he did and he said, "They sent me a new one because they didn't have the part." In the future I will go out of my way to buy anything but Hunter. I figure I can get anyone to treat me like crap, I don't need Hunter to do it.

Original review: May 4, 2016

We bought about 10 of these fans and installed them in our house, but they never spun very fast. It took a while to realize that the "receiver" was defective. By that time we were out of warranty. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, should federal or state authorities investigate this company for consistently selling defective products? Is there a lawyer with knowledge of this, who would know what department to approach? Hunter Fan technical support wanted a discounted price of $60.10 (normal $110) for the receiver. Judging by the quality of the fan, the whole fan (made in China) costs less than that.

Resolution response: April 27, 2016

The replacement parts were reasonably priced and the shipping was free.

Original review: April 9, 2016

Don't be fooled by the "Lifetime Warranty" described on the box. It is not a lifetime warranty. It is a limited lifetime warranty on the motor (only). If the defect is due to a failed motor "part" the warranty is for one year with proof of purchase. Guess what - the motor is constructed of motor "parts."

Original review: April 1, 2016

Model 53000 Box and instructions do not say for flat ceiling only. I have a vaulted ceiling. Called company, as I bought this knowing the last 2 fans I have put up worked ok from other companies. Now told need to buy more parts. Then co. hung up on me when waiting for sales. I thought Hunter would maybe be a good choice but very dissatisfied with fan and service. Hint if fan needs more parts to work on vaulted ceiling, say so on box and instructions. A good company should do better. I give you a very poor rating sirs.

Resolution response: June 25, 2016

After an additional follow-up with Hunter Fan, they sent a replacement fan for the fan that caught fire. They fan that caught fire was sent back to them through one of their approved warranty centers.

Original review: March 21, 2016

I purchased two Curacao 54 inch fan (model number is 21317) from Home Depot 2 1/2 years ago. One was installed on my front porch, the other on my back porch by an electrician. Both are rarely used and still have the original factory bulbs installed. On the evening of March 2, 2016 the fan on the back porch caught fire. We were fortunate that it did not spread to the rest of the house. Initially from visual inspection it appeared that the bulbs got very hot, the globe busted, and the fan blade was burned. Upon further inspection the bulb sockets are warped, and the fan speed selection controls, and reverse speed is damaged and no longer functional. It appears that the motor of the fan got too hot or the light kit assembly.

I contacted Hunter Fan Company on March 3, 2016 explaining what had happened and was issued an incident number. They requested pictures which were promptly submitted. I never received any type of follow-up. I called multiple times trying to determine the status. I was told it is under review and I would be notified when they were finished analyzing the incident. On March 21st, I called multiple times being placed on hold for approximately an hour - only to be disconnected with no return call. These fans were expensive. I want it replaced. However, because of the incident and their customer relations I am not confident about the other one that was purchased and is installed on the front porch.

Original review: March 21, 2016

Bought a pair of Hunter Light/Fans for guest bedrooms. Two months later one light fixture is very dim, works at maybe 20% capacity. We maybe turned that light a couple dozen times, as the room is not used. They were bought from Home Depot and hung by licensed electrician. Hunter says tough, buy another receiver/limiter. Just over 1 year old and never used. Just waiting for the other one to stop. $50.00 plus shipping. Might as well buy another fan. Model # 53032. Cust Service was not helpful, didn't care, want to buy the part? Yes or no? Hunter you do a very poor business.

Original review: March 17, 2016

They wanted bad parts returned but sent a form letter with the wrong zip. The part is lost in the mail system because of their form letter and they say it's my fault for sending it to the wrong place. I should have corrected the zip off their form letter.

Original review: March 10, 2016

Their warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. Don't believe the 120 day home service repair. It's nonsense. We have a couple of non-working Casablanca Hunter fans that haven't worked right since they were installed. The company doesn't respond to emails and the customer service team is a joke. They will just give you the runaround. Do yourself a favor and don't end up like me with defective non-working MADE IN CHINA fans that we paid a lot of money and paid even more for installation. Nearly $1000 down the drain. Spoke to a lawyer today and he is considering a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2016

From doing research, I knew the switch was broken and I needed to fix it or replace it. I called Hunter, gave them the model number and was told they no longer stock parts for that model. Furthermore the switch was located within the motor and could not be fixed period, that no universal switch would work, and my only option was to buy a new fan. They gave me their "friends and family discount" and said I would need to order from their site. I did more research after seeing Hunter fans were very poor quality compared to mine purchased 20 years ago. Turns out fixing the fan was a 10 minute job after locating the right universal switch from a local fan store. I will never buy another Hunter product.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2016

Seems Hunter's engineers have miscalculated the maximum, possible reset current draw through their current limiter. When one 60W bulb blows out on a three light kit, it can for that instance, cause a current draw through their limiter that easily exceeds its reset specifications, thereby causing it to open... The end results is no lights. While a better quality, likely higher priced current limiter, one with a momentary, higher current rating would solve this known, long standing defect, while still maintaining government required maximum, continual current draw from the light... Seems "status quo" (as in the number of lost customers has not exceeded our costs to redesign) still reigns at Hunter.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2016

I've owned Hunter Fan models 21068 and 25744 with remote control models 27185 and 27157 for well over a decade. The past three-four years, the remote controls for lighting fixtures steadily deteriorated by uncommanded dimming, uncommanded activations, not responding to the remote commands, and disabling the pull chain controls (requiring pulling circuit breakers to shut off power to the appliance). Over the years, I've contacted Hunter a couple of times with nil success in resolving the problem. Spent several dollars on a Hunter replacement remote control only to discover the newer remote technology wouldn't work with my models. It's disappointing to read so many negative reviews. So I'm going to remove the malfunctioning remote control hardware and try to go back to the manual chain pull mode. The motors and light systems hardware still seems OK. I'm skeptical I can find any better replacement appliances these days.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

Over the past five years, I have installed over 15 ceiling fans, and I have had more problems with the Hunter brand. It has been the light kits for the fans that have gone out on me, and I have had to re-install the fan/light fixtures more than once, in the same location. I am done with this brand. My latest failure is with the model number MOD/CAT 28665-530.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2015

Bought 7 Hunter ceiling fans from Menards a year ago and had an electrician install them. Three had to be returned initially after installing them because the light kits didn't work. Now I have two fans with non-working lights and both are in my kitchen/dining area. The fan in my living room has a only one speed that works sometimes. My electrician is equally as frustrated as I am. Menards says to call Hunter but they aren't open on the weekends or available to the working population to solve the problems on the weekends. I am having the same problems as many other people have posted. Don't buy Hunter fans!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2015

Like all other reviews here... lights flickered for a while (1 month +/-) and then finally went out. The unit was very very hot. Purchased in 2015. I contacted Hunter on Monday and after a little back and forth of them looking for information on the model (Hunter 42" 51037-530)... nothing unreasonable. They just needed specific information to best help me... they provided this response on Friday: "The limiter is what is causing the problem so the wire harness would need to be replaced. We do have this part available at this time. Please send us in a copy of the receipt and we would be more then happy to get this sent out to you under the warranty."

I sent them the receipt and mailing address. Within 15 minutes I had confirmation that they were sending out the part at no charge. My experience was 100% pleasant. Timely responses and favorable outcome. When I was trying to find information on what could be wrong with the lights, I came across this post on Consumer Affairs and braced myself for having issues with Hunter. I am pleased that the outcome was favorable!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2015

Installed a new HUNTER CEILING FAN, light kit did not work. I called and they agreed to send me a new switch but after waiting 4 days we got it and it does not work either. Now I find they have an across the board issue with these, and they are well aware of it. I can believe Lowe's hasn't pulled their product. Save yourself and your contractor lots of time and aggravation and style away from Hunter fans...

Original review: Nov. 27, 2015

My husband and I purchased all new ceilings fans when we purchased our house in December 2012. We had them installed by an electrician. Since, we have had nothing but problems with three of the 4. The light will make a "popping" noise out of nowhere, and the lights will go out. The fan still works. But, the remotes and pull cord cannot turn on the light. Changing the light bulbs doesn't work. A fuse was not blown (the fan wouldn't work, if this was the case. But, all power to the rest of the room remains.) We had an electrician come out, he couldn't figure it out. He bypassed the pull cord and wired it so only the remote could turn it on and off. That was the best solution he had--he said it was likely the fans. That worked for a bit, but now two of them don't work again. These fans are garbage. We spent a lot of money on them--to replace and install. Now, we are going to have do this again, for THREE-year-old fans/lights.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2015

We bought four Hunter ceiling fans in 2013 from Menards on a new construction project for our home and about two years later, we went into our son's room and smelled something. I couldn't figure it out so we had him sleep in another room for the night. That night I kept looking around and found the smell was from the ceiling fan and upon taking it apart saw where the wattage limiter was melted and had charred the top of the cover of the fan also. Luckily we caught it before it melted it really bad like some other pictures I have seen. After reading that this was not a uncommon problem I just bypassed the limiter and it is working today. I am going to wait a little bit longer to make sure that fixes the problem and then take it out on the other three Hunter fans before we have any more problems.

Seems crazy unsafe and a hazard. I didn't contact Hunter because I didn't want to go through what everybody else is talking about and it was out of warranty but they need to do something about. A link that helped me with the bypass wiring was http://imgur.com/a/6UTIB but I just bypassed the pull switch altogether because I couldn't keep the light to stay on.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2015

I've had a terrible experience with Hunter that's now in its second month. My fan in the bedroom's motor went out and I called their cs dept. They attempted to troubleshoot, though I've dealt with enough fans I knew the motor inside the housing was blown. I took the fan down and replaced the wiring harness, and of course the light still works but the fan is still out of commission.

I called Hunter and they now explain step 2, to send me a second wiring harness. I explained I just waited two weeks for the first one!!! The supervisor said ok, ship us the old motor back so that we know it's no longer in use, I asked about postage and she said that's on my dime. I have truly gotten the runaround! I bought 4 Hunter Fans and one goes out after a year and this is how I'm treated?!? I know they hope I just go away, but I promise I won't because this is just not good business management. I would like a tech to come out if they don't believe me, or a new fan not refurbished sent to me. Again, I've been on this for 2 months, called them 4 times and would like to make this right.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2015

I purchased a high-end ceiling fan with wireless remove for fan-speed and light switch. I had to have it installed professionally. The problem started after it was installed. It seemed to work OK but we found that the fan would turn on or off by itself. The light would come on or go off by itself. We have been woken up with the fan's light blaring in our faces. We have been awaken in the middle of winter to find the fan blowing down on us while turned on high. I cannot count the number of times we have come home to find our fan's light on or the fan running on high. I contacted customer support and they shipped a new controller out but it did the same thing as the old one. They also would not pay for professionally reinstalling the new controller. In order to do so required the fan blades to be removed and a hub to be taken off and wires to be unattached and new ones reattached. If you are wise, you will NEVER purchase a Hunter Fan.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2015

I am extremely disappointed that Lowe's would sell fans from a company that clearly doesn't care about its customers. I contacted customer service due to a faulty current limiter (which is a BIG problem with their fans, just Google it). I wasn't looking for a hand out. I was looking to purchase a replacement part and was met with a very unprofessional and unhelpful service representative. I don't understand why a company with such a big issue with faulty current limiters wouldn't have a replacement part. Ironically I had the same issue with a Harbor Breeze fan (which I believe is the very same company) and they were very professional and courteous, and helped me with the issue. Very disappointing in Hunter. Just absolute crap.

Hunter Fans Company Information