1.65/5

Save on Repairs with a Home Warranty

52 HomeServe USA Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 18, 2019

Updated on 03/24/2019: Minus 1 star-- Follow up on my recent review: After calling HomeServe again, recorded the conversation to them having informed them we were recording it, as suggested by my attorney son-in-law and low and behold a service person appeared an hour later and attempted to fix the blocked line of the sewer as the service contract stated they would do-- but no luck. The plumbing company owner came and said the problem was due to the town sewer line so husband called the town. They sent a company who blocked out over 4 blocks and worked all night cleaning main lines-- no help, sewer still very high in our home.

Next morning we called HomeServe, they had closed our record. It should have been fixed by what the town did they said. We tried standing over the high sewer pit repeating that phrase "you should be fixed" but it didn't work. Called the plumbing company ourselves, had to pay them in cash for service call, they came out, and were able to clear the line--$175.00 in cash (plus an additional tip as the service man was a sweetheart). So now we have spent $200 on bills to stay over night to stay somewhere to use water and $175 in plumbing fees--$375. We are waiting HomeServe, don't keep calling other to say a check is in the mail.

Original Review: Do not use this service. They talked us into this somehow--came out once. Handled a little problem, we renewed it. Then there was a major problem--response was inadequate, but worse than that they lied--said they would come back with a camera and diagnose where the sewer line issue was. Then went back on it and said line problem was ours with no diagnostics--because it would cost money. They hired a clairvoyant. I guess to diagnose it was not their liability. Left us with NO sewer, for many days, yup no toilet, shower, etc. I wish I could give -negative stars!

Original review: March 8, 2019

Ok so like many customers I too have had a really bad experience with this company. Let me start by saying this company is the biggest scam company you will find. I sold my parents house about 1year and half ago and did not know that they had purchase a plan with HomeServe and neither did they somehow they must've signed some kind of paper cause I know my parents don't know how to use computers. At any rate I'm in control of their finances now so I check their account make sure rogue companies like this one don't take money out. I found they had a policy that was taking money monthly out of their account so I called and spoke to a very nice lady that said she would cancel my policy and refund the last month's amount, I said thanks.

5 days later no refund but another charge comes out so I called them on the phone and ask if my account was still active and they said, "Oh yes your account is still active and you have coverage for electric, sewer and water heater." Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I was like I canceled my service 5 days ago and had the lady's name written down (apparently no one knows her). Anyway, I spoke to the cancellation department a very nice well spoken lady who canceled my whole policy and said wait for 5-6 business days for a refund. I am very skeptical that this will happen and am closely monitoring the bank account for other withdraws from this scam of a company.

From what I am reading not only do they NOT cover/repair premium policyholders claims they even give them the runaround. DO NOT PURCHASE A PLAN FROM THIS COMPANY IS A TOTAL SCAM. Small claim courts must be busy dealing with this company. I know I will be taking them there if my policy is not canceled immediately. Thanks.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

If you want to have an idea how this company works just look at the reviews... They only respond to the very few people that gives them a five stars and ignore totally everyone with a legitimate concern. You pay for emergency service. You call them. When the weather drop to 20 degree they tell they’ll get someone in within 24 hours. The lady I spoke to advise me to go get some electric heater and she’ll see if she can find someone, three hours later another one promise to send someone by 10:30 at night, at 11:30 a man just told me they could find anyone to come fix the heat. What is the point of paying for an emergency service. That is so frustrating especially when you have 3 children in the house. I wish I could give them a zero star. My reference# on the calls is **.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

When a repair man cannot finish the job because he does not have all the parts that he needs, and they charge you an additional service fee (165.00) to come back and finish the job, I figured they can't make money by expanding their client base (because they suck) so they charge every time they come out to repair the same problem. Used HomeServe years ago, when they took pride in their company, and had some integrity. Now, they just plain suck. Do your homework, and stay away.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

My water heater had water on the top of it. I called and someone came to look at it and said it needed replacing. Within 48 hours it was totally replaced with no problem. I could not have been more pleased!

HomeServe USA response

Hi Patricia, thanks for providing this feedback on your service experience. Glad that the whole process was done to your satisfaction! Thanks for being our customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeServe USA?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I have had HomeServe protect me for both my heating and air conditioning systems for many years now. John came today and was so professional, like so many of the repair people from HomeServe. John always goes that extra mile. He was great - he came within the repair appointment window, he fixed the thermocoupler issue with my boiler, and he waited to make sure that the system came back up fully. Those extra few minutes waiting to make sure that everything was truly working well makes all the difference. It shows his concern. The cold weather has been so dangerous lately, so it made me feel confident that we would be safe. I recommend every home owner should take out their heating and AC maintenance contracts. I know I can count on HomeServe.

HomeServe USA response

Hi Allison, the "polar vortex" we just went through was quite severe for sure. So glad that we were able to fix your heating system problem quickly. Thanks for sharing your feedback and for being a customer!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Fearing a problem with my 65 year old boiler I enrolled in their heating plan. I was not disappointed by the ease of scheduling a date of service (same day) and the repairman arrived on time. He easily diagnosed the problem and miraculously the parts were found! He arrived the next day and now the boiler is humming again. I am completely pleased with HomeServe and their technicians. Thank you again!

HomeServe USA response

Thanks Brian for your comments and for being a customer. We appreciate you taking the time to share your service experience.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I have been with this company since 2016. The very first time we called for service the contractor plumbers they sent gave us a hard time. The company resolved that issue. However today 1/23/19 I received a letter stating I did not have any coverage, which I did since it was for a year, I renewed on 6/28/18. I called and gave them the service plan # and they said I didn't have that plan, that it was the water line plan. I know what I signed up for, kept the email as proof. I called back to speak to someone else hoping they would cooperate, of course not. This person said the contractor plumbers reported my sewer line as broken and we were not eligible for coverage. They never called or sent a letter stating that. I had been paying monthly until last year when I chose to pay for the whole year. This company lies, total rip off and waste of time. Needless to say, I doubt they'll be refunding me the partial refund.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Sewer line blockage and flooded basement. Called HomeServe and was told it would take a couple days for them to get a plumber to the house. RIGHT. Purchase a snake and did it myself. It flooded again and this time, since I knew HomeServe would not get a plumber to unplug the sewer line in a timely manner I called Roto-Rooter. They unplug the sewer line and found that it was being caused by roots entering the sewer line and that the line has separated. I called HomeServe to see if they would cover the replacement of the damaged sewer line. The answer was NO since it was no longer blocked. Would need to wait for it to plug up and flood again, call them, wait for them to show up, and then they might replace the pipe. Was told that normally they would only replace the pipe if the complete pipe caves in. Don't waste your money on this warranty.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I have had this company for 2 years, I've paid every premium on time. This is the second time I've used the repair service, and this is the second time I've had issues. They are as of now, 100% incompetent. They subcontract for everything, which leaves their customers at the mercy of people who aren't getting paid directly. They schedule repairs with a subcontracted warranty company, who then subcontracts out for repair calls. I took off work to wait for 5 hours for someone to come out, only to be stood up. When I called back, I was told nothing could be done, except to reschedule.

When I asked for something after hours or on the weekend, I was told there wasn't any availability. When I asked which one of their reps would come and wait in my place, I was told no one would. When I asked if I would be reimbursed for my wasted time, I was told no. So, in essence, I've paid three times more for my premium this month, and I still don't have a repair person coming to my home. How is this company still in business? I will be sure to talk to Dominion about why they recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Worst experience ever!!! Dozens of calls, more than 20 hours at the phone, lies, excuses, no show ups, ignorance saying dryer was not covered, impossible to talk to a supervisor... 3 weeks later I ended buying a new dryer without ever going to the house to see the problem!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I had been approved for replacement of my outdoor plumbing pipe by the previous company working for SCE&G. The previous plumber lied that the work had been done and got paid (despite me telling them had not been done). Now this new company sent a plumber over (HomeServe/working for Dominion Energy). Both my sink and bath tub were stopped up. This stems from old sewer pipes. The plumber assured me that he would submit a proposal for the work to be done. I called after 2 weeks of not hearing anything. He never submitted paperwork, and his supervisor stated that they would not do pipe replacement because "they are not sure it needs to be done". The first plumber was very certain that the pipe needed to be replaced--my problem will continue until it is replaced!

It has already been ascertained that the pipe (24 feet in my yard) needs to be replaced. The HomeServe plumber tried to talk loudly and would not let me talk or listen to me. He just said they would not do the work. This company is apparently worse than the one that preceded it! I have now called Mr. **, a Dominion Representative. But he didn't help me when the previous plumber committed fraud, and got paid $1500 for work/pipe replacement that never got done--and I told them this! They chose to say instead that I was "confused" about whether the job had been done (IT WAS NEVER DONE!). I have paid money added to my electric bill monthly for repairs! Needed repairs on my sewer line are not being done--HomeServe continues to want to make a profit at the expense of customers who have little recourse! The worst kind of crook--the kind that does it for greed!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I was insured for 4 years with them, never an issue (water, plumbing, sewer, water heater, HVAC, more than $50/month). Two weeks ago my heating broke, they send a contractor AFTER 2 DAYS. The contractor said he will need to order a part (the igniter, a very small and cheap part), and he needs 2 days for that. He showed after 9 DAYS, yesterday! He replaced the part, and... Still not working. I called HomeServe, and I sent an email; no reply at all. Then today I called another contractor, I paid $125 and I had the furnace finally fixed. Worst company ever, stay away!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I had a terrible experience with this company. Beware! And, understand what is covered! I purchased a policy for my hot water heater through Florida Power & Light. When my hot water heater began leaking, I contacted HomeServe. They sent out their local provider. Via their provider, HomeServe approved a new hot water heater, but said that I would need to pay the local provider $425 for "pipe modification". A HomeServe representative told me that the local provider was charging them $640 for the water & installation, but that I needed to pay the $425 out of pocket because "pipe modification" was not covered under the plan.

I asked numerous representatives at HomeServe to explain "pipe modification", but nobody could answer my question. They referred me back to the local plumber. After speaking with the plumber, I understood that this would need to be done for any basic installation of any water heater and I didn't understand why this would not have been included under my policy for installation.

Next, I contacted a plumber in my neighborhood who looked at my job and said it was the most basic of installations, which they would charge $200 for - a full water heater install, including the dreaded "pipe modification". I next spoke to a supervisor at HomeServe and she explained to me that a "pipes" clause was in the fine print in the contract and I should have understood that when I agreed to the contract. I'm not a plumber, but OK. So I asked her why would I pay their provider $425 for "pipe modification" when I could get a full install for $200 from a local plumber.

Since I was apparently so stupid not to understand these terms, I asked if I could then just have the water heater covered under my policy and I would pay out of pocket the $200 for installation vs. the $425 from their provider and I was told no. This is a scam. I'm not sure if HomeServe is the scammer and getting the insured to pay for the installation via the "pipe modification" clause. Wink, wink. Or, if the local provider is the scammer. But, it stinks. I am a single mom who purchased a policy for peace of mind.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I made an appointment for routine maintenance several weeks in advance. The appointment was for between 8 AM and Noon. At 12:15 no one had arrived so I called and was asked to call back in a half an hour. At 1:00 PM I called back and was referred to a different department. A man named David answered and was unable to contact the technician or give an update. At 1:30 I noticed a small white car outside the house. In the door was a "sorry we missed you" notice. I had been home all day, waiting. The technician was in the little white car. He serviced the furnaces. I don't blame the tech. This was clearly a training issue. Dispatch should have called re: the delay. David should have been able to contact the tech. Why didn't the tech have a phone # to contact me? HomeServe needs to streamline their customer contact procedures.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I made an appointment to have my heating unit serviced for the coming winter several months ago and was given an appointment for 10/23/18 between the hours of 8am to noon. At 1:30 pm the technician had not arrived so I called HomeServe. They told me because they had repairs to take care of they couldn't accommodate me. They rescheduled my appointment for December 4th. So they didn't show up or call to tell me they were not coming and postponed servicing my heater that is covered by my contract with them for 1 1/2 months. Very unprofessional.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

We have a contract that covers our heat and air conditioning with HomeServe. In early summer, our air conditioning was not working and they came and said it was not repairable and needed an entirely new system (priced at $19k). We had a second company come and repaired for $295. Fast forward to the fall and we had a 4 hour window for them to come and repair our heat. We are now 90 minutes after the 4 hour window and are told we have at least another 30 minutes before someone arrives.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I purchased a home warranty through Homeserve USA covering several different items in my house, one being the exterior sewage/septic line. My premium was 143.88 a year which I paid every month on time for 6 years. I had an issue with one of my exterior sewage lines breaking away from the main sewage line. This kind of unforeseen incident is exactly why I bought this coverage. I called Homeserve USA to have them come repair the sewage line just to be told that unless I can see sewage water leaking or backing up in the line it is not covered. WOW! What a slap in the face.

I paid 869.28 over the last 6 years to be told, "Sorry about your broken sewage line, but we’re not fixing it. I obviously canceled all of my coverages that I had through Homeserve USA immediately. If their exterior sewage line coverage doesn’t cover a broken sewage line then how can their water heater coverage be trusted to cover my water heater? I’m also going to assume that my exterior water line coverage doesn’t cover a broken exterior water line. After paying $575.88 for exterior water line coverage, $869.28 for exterior sewage line coverage, and $683.28 for water heater coverage combined for the past 6 years, Homeserve USA managed to get $2,128.44 out of me and not cover a broken sewage line. Learn from my costly mistake and do not deal with Homeserve USA in any capacity. They CANNOT be trusted!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

The claim was process and approved for a water heater in July 2018. Today is October 15, 2018 and for the 6th or 7th time calling and giving a customer service rep my mailing address, still no check. Was told the matter would be escalated and a supervisor, who was busy at the time of my call, would call the next business day. That didn't happen even though every call they ask to verify my phone number. Today I called and asked to speak to a supervisor. Was told all supervisors were busy and one of them would call me back within three hours. Like that's going to happen. The main problem is there is no way to get past the customer service people to a manager or a department. They seem very nice on the phone and sincere but each call they tell me they see my mailing address. So why does accounts payable keep mailing the check to my physical address. This part of customer service is absolutely horrible.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

My mother bought into this scam at age 96, she died in July 2017 and HomeServe went into her bank account several months after her death and extracted $304.17 electronically. I have contacted them several times over a three month period and they have not yet returned the money to the estate. I will have to take legal action.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I have had a contract with HomeServe for many years. I was having trouble with drainage. I called HomeServe, who sent out Draingo company. The guy Justin ** came out---shined his phone camera under house and said that there was sewage under there. He then said he would let me know. A short time later HomeServe called hollering that they would not pay 800.00 dollars to remove the sewage. I got my flashlight and looked and no water. A little later Justin ** called and said he had a friend that could remove the sewage {there was none}. He even asked how much money I could come up with? He lied to HomeServe whereas they wouldn't send anyone else out.

HomeServe said I would have to find my own plumber which I did and found out the pipe was stopped up. My plumber didn't have a drop of water on him when he went under the house. He did when he took the pipe aloose. I was told to find my own plumber and I cancelled that contract with them. They listened to a lie from Draingo and wouldn't send someone else out to check what Justin told them. That was a week or two ago, but it still bothers me about the lying that boy did to HomeServe, because he couldn't make some extra money from HomeServe and me.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I called them on Sept 7th to do the annual winter tune up on my heating system. They said the earliest appointment they can give me is Jan 6th, 2019. I told them that was unacceptable and they agreed. I then asked to speak to a manager and they said no one was available. They took my phone # and said someone would call me back. Much to my surprise--no callback. I then called back to cancel the policy. The CSR asked what the problem was and I told her. She agreed that it was nuts that they wanted to come 4 months later to do a tune up and she checked the schedule. She verified there were no appointments open until Jan. When they did the tune ups they were usually here 10 minutes--so I don't think they were any good anyway. I paid $600 annually for this service--not anymore. I cancelled.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I purchased a boiler maintenance plan from HomeServe and they never have parts in stock. I usually wait 2 to 3 days to have a circular pump replaced. Their technicians are not trained properly. Just yesterday, a technician came to replace the circular pump. He left the pump disconnected and flooded my basement. I woke up to 2 inches of water in the basement. All the items in the basement are ruined; including the floor wall, door bottoms suck up the water. I called HomeServe and all I get is a technician will be there between 12pm & 4pm. No concern about my flooded basement or the damages. They say they will call me back with more info but never did. They need to pay for all the damaged items as well as the repairs. This is the worst company ever!!! Stay away from them.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

They should rename their company HomeScam. We are terminating our account with HomeScam. They are incompetent, hire low-bid contractors who don't return service calls, and really don't care about providing any level of customer service. A total waste of money. They left an 88-year-old woman with a sink filled with sewage for over 24 hours and now they tell me it will be another full day before I hear back from anyone? It is Labor Day weekend and this is a health issue. HomeServe will be reported to the Better Business Bureau, I believe it is nothing more than an elaborate SCAM.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

This company is the worst company I have ever been associated with. It is sponsored by South Jersey Gas Company. The supplier of gas to my home. Keep in mind you must wait 30 days before the initial maintenance can be scheduled. I certainly understand that policy. I was told I had maintenance on all my equipment with a maintenance program. The call was recorded by them and you had to agree to the plans.

The process from the beginning... Well, it took me over 3 hours to join. It took 4 people to set the plans up. I thought they had it right finally. Wrong! I purchased the two plans as I have a large home with 2 A/C units so I purchased the basic plan and an additional premium plus plan which included maintenance and repairs on the A/C units, heating and water heater or so they told me it would. They were supposed to send the information in the mail, which was never received. I called and spoke with the representative and he assured me the literature about the plan was on the way. It has been over 45 days and nothing has been received from this company...

Well today I called to schedule the maintenance and it was surreal. I was put on hold for over 50 minutes being transferred (no exaggeration) 6 times, I wrote down all their names. End result... no appointments were made. I did get disgusted and talked with customer service and cancelled the plans. If they cannot make an appointment to maintain the units under warranty, they certainly will not be able to make an appointment to repair the units if necessary. End result, I called South Jersey Gas Company, cancelled my automatic payments and told them about the hassles I had been thru. Stir clear of this horrible company...

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

In three months, HomeServe couldn't manage to communicate with us whether our claim (underground pipe repair) was approved or rejected, and each time we called within that time frame, we received a different offputting response, conflicting statements, or just lies. After many intervening calls for a status, we were eventually told our claim was CANCELED. This, with NO NOTICE, and us still believing one representation that approval was still being discussed. I requested a copy of the contract/policy that would advise me of my rights and obligations but it has not yet arrived.

I asked for a copy of the plumber's estimate and I was told that HomeServe would only provide me with the amount ($1500) they would cover and the amount ($1126) I owe, with no explanation as to how that figure was determined and what the overall estimate was so I could obtain my own estimate that may be more affordable or even determine how my out-of-pocket was calculated. Even the plumber HomeServe had contracted with would not provide me with their estimate, stating they work for HomeServe, and not the homeowner. Why so many secrets??? This company is scandalous. No communication; no customer service; no coverage.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I'm a landlord and use HomeServe a lot and they are fine, occasionally good. But we have a new trend and it's that plumbers are scared of spiders. So now, HomeServe is requiring policyholders to hire a specialized exterminator anytime one of their plumbers is scared of spiders. This is outrageous. Tell the plumbers to wear a special protective suit if they are scared of spiders, don't put the burden on the policyholder - the policyholder has already paid - they pay premiums. The policyholder has already held up their end of the deal. Now HomeServe has to provide a plumber, when the coverage allows. If a plumber is afraid of spiders, that's too bad for the plumber. It should not be a problem that the policyholder is responsible for. How outrageous.

Original review: July 1, 2018

The process of getting my town to issue a permit for a water heater and a boiler required that HomeServe's master plumber coordinate the effort with the building inspector. Throughout this, I had to continually call him or his office to find out the status and effect the inspections. Most of the time my calls went unanswered. It was only after calling customer service on the 844 number was I able to get them to do what I was paying them to do.

Original review: June 12, 2018

My AC went out on 6/1/18. I called back on 6/2 to get an update. I was told they could not find anyone in my area and they had 48 hrs to find someone. I received a call exactly 48 hrs and was told someone would be out next day 6/4. Tech drove 1+hrs to get to my home. Tech came. Replaced one part. Still didn't work. He went outside and found I also needed some circuit board. He said he would call it in and the part would be in next day. It is now 6/12. I have call HomeServe every 2 days for an update. All I am told is part has not arrived yet. (I looked on many sites and I could get any part next day delivery.) Today I called and asked for a supervisor. I was told someone would call me back. 6 hrs later no call back. I think it might be time to go to small claims court to sue this company.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I am on day 5 waiting for a plumber to be sent to fix the leak in my water line to the house. Company says they're trying to find someone to send. I assumed they had contractors lined up who could respond quickly to a plumbing situation. Have called at least 6 times, told politely that they are working on it but no one has called me with updates or offered to reimburse me the cost to have the leak fixed by someone I can find. Big issue is no plumbing companies want to wait to be paid by an insurance company but HomeServe will not cover if the customer provides the plumber. Would never buy more coverage from them. I just hope I don't end up with a sinkhole from this leak.

HomeServe USA expert review by Michele Lerner

HomeServe USA provides home repair service plans to help homeowners with domestic emergencies, whether they are plumbing, heating, cooling or electrical in nature. The plans are the equivalent of car roadside assistance, and aim to give consumers peace of mind and save them money.

• Customer service: The HomeServe USA repair hotline operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to quickly process repair claims and help homeowners.

• Immediate coverage: Coverage starts the day a customer's order is processed, although most plans require a 30-day waiting period before a customer makes a claim.

• Technican screening: HomeServe USA technicians are local, licensed and insured. The screening process includes an evaluation of technicians in the field as well as verification of their certifications.

• Range of plans: Plans provide coverage for areas such as exterior and interior electrical wiring, exterior sewer and septic lines, interior plumbing and drainage, water heater, cooling and heating systems and the interior gas line.

• Guarantee: HomeServe USA plans come with a one-year guarantee to ensure the thoroughness of repairs.

• Best for: first-time buyers, owners of older homes and those who want to cover more specialized problems.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
    Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

HomeServe USA Company Information