1.31/5

Save on Repairs with a Home Warranty

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

38 HomeServe USA Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I made an appointment for routine maintenance several weeks in advance. The appointment was for between 8 AM and Noon. At 12:15 no one had arrived so I called and was asked to call back in a half an hour. At 1:00 PM I called back and was referred to a different department. A man named David answered and was unable to contact the technician or give an update. At 1:30 I noticed a small white car outside the house. In the door was a "sorry we missed you" notice. I had been home all day, waiting. The technician was in the little white car. He serviced the furnaces. I don't blame the tech. This was clearly a training issue. Dispatch should have called re: the delay. David should have been able to contact the tech. Why didn't the tech have a phone # to contact me? HomeServe needs to streamline their customer contact procedures.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I made an appointment to have my heating unit serviced for the coming winter several months ago and was given an appointment for 10/23/18 between the hours of 8am to noon. At 1:30 pm the technician had not arrived so I called HomeServe. They told me because they had repairs to take care of they couldn't accommodate me. They rescheduled my appointment for December 4th. So they didn't show up or call to tell me they were not coming and postponed servicing my heater that is covered by my contract with them for 1 1/2 months. Very unprofessional.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

We have a contract that covers our heat and air conditioning with HomeServe. In early summer, our air conditioning was not working and they came and said it was not repairable and needed an entirely new system (priced at $19k). We had a second company come and repaired for $295. Fast forward to the fall and we had a 4 hour window for them to come and repair our heat. We are now 90 minutes after the 4 hour window and are told we have at least another 30 minutes before someone arrives.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I purchased a home warranty through Homeserve USA covering several different items in my house, one being the exterior sewage/septic line. My premium was 143.88 a year which I paid every month on time for 6 years. I had an issue with one of my exterior sewage lines breaking away from the main sewage line. This kind of unforeseen incident is exactly why I bought this coverage. I called Homeserve USA to have them come repair the sewage line just to be told that unless I can see sewage water leaking or backing up in the line it is not covered. WOW! What a slap in the face.

I paid 869.28 over the last 6 years to be told, "Sorry about your broken sewage line, but we’re not fixing it. I obviously canceled all of my coverages that I had through Homeserve USA immediately. If their exterior sewage line coverage doesn’t cover a broken sewage line then how can their water heater coverage be trusted to cover my water heater? I’m also going to assume that my exterior water line coverage doesn’t cover a broken exterior water line. After paying $575.88 for exterior water line coverage, $869.28 for exterior sewage line coverage, and $683.28 for water heater coverage combined for the past 6 years, Homeserve USA managed to get $2,128.44 out of me and not cover a broken sewage line. Learn from my costly mistake and do not deal with Homeserve USA in any capacity. They CANNOT be trusted!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

The claim was process and approved for a water heater in July 2018. Today is October 15, 2018 and for the 6th or 7th time calling and giving a customer service rep my mailing address, still no check. Was told the matter would be escalated and a supervisor, who was busy at the time of my call, would call the next business day. That didn't happen even though every call they ask to verify my phone number. Today I called and asked to speak to a supervisor. Was told all supervisors were busy and one of them would call me back within three hours. Like that's going to happen. The main problem is there is no way to get past the customer service people to a manager or a department. They seem very nice on the phone and sincere but each call they tell me they see my mailing address. So why does accounts payable keep mailing the check to my physical address. This part of customer service is absolutely horrible.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeServe USA?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

My mother bought into this scam at age 96, she died in July 2017 and HomeServe went into her bank account several months after her death and extracted $304.17 electronically. I have contacted them several times over a three month period and they have not yet returned the money to the estate. I will have to take legal action.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I have had a contract with HomeServe for many years. I was having trouble with drainage. I called HomeServe, who sent out Draingo company. The guy Justin ** came out---shined his phone camera under house and said that there was sewage under there. He then said he would let me know. A short time later HomeServe called hollering that they would not pay 800.00 dollars to remove the sewage. I got my flashlight and looked and no water. A little later Justin ** called and said he had a friend that could remove the sewage {there was none}. He even asked how much money I could come up with? He lied to HomeServe whereas they wouldn't send anyone else out.

HomeServe said I would have to find my own plumber which I did and found out the pipe was stopped up. My plumber didn't have a drop of water on him when he went under the house. He did when he took the pipe aloose. I was told to find my own plumber and I cancelled that contract with them. They listened to a lie from Draingo and wouldn't send someone else out to check what Justin told them. That was a week or two ago, but it still bothers me about the lying that boy did to HomeServe, because he couldn't make some extra money from HomeServe and me.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I called them on Sept 7th to do the annual winter tune up on my heating system. They said the earliest appointment they can give me is Jan 6th, 2019. I told them that was unacceptable and they agreed. I then asked to speak to a manager and they said no one was available. They took my phone # and said someone would call me back. Much to my surprise--no callback. I then called back to cancel the policy. The CSR asked what the problem was and I told her. She agreed that it was nuts that they wanted to come 4 months later to do a tune up and she checked the schedule. She verified there were no appointments open until Jan. When they did the tune ups they were usually here 10 minutes--so I don't think they were any good anyway. I paid $600 annually for this service--not anymore. I cancelled.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I purchased a boiler maintenance plan from HomeServe and they never have parts in stock. I usually wait 2 to 3 days to have a circular pump replaced. Their technicians are not trained properly. Just yesterday, a technician came to replace the circular pump. He left the pump disconnected and flooded my basement. I woke up to 2 inches of water in the basement. All the items in the basement are ruined; including the floor wall, door bottoms suck up the water. I called HomeServe and all I get is a technician will be there between 12pm & 4pm. No concern about my flooded basement or the damages. They say they will call me back with more info but never did. They need to pay for all the damaged items as well as the repairs. This is the worst company ever!!! Stay away from them.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

They should rename their company HomeScam. We are terminating our account with HomeScam. They are incompetent, hire low-bid contractors who don't return service calls, and really don't care about providing any level of customer service. A total waste of money. They left an 88-year-old woman with a sink filled with sewage for over 24 hours and now they tell me it will be another full day before I hear back from anyone? It is Labor Day weekend and this is a health issue. HomeServe will be reported to the Better Business Bureau, I believe it is nothing more than an elaborate SCAM.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

This company is the worst company I have ever been associated with. It is sponsored by South Jersey Gas Company. The supplier of gas to my home. Keep in mind you must wait 30 days before the initial maintenance can be scheduled. I certainly understand that policy. I was told I had maintenance on all my equipment with a maintenance program. The call was recorded by them and you had to agree to the plans.

The process from the beginning... Well, it took me over 3 hours to join. It took 4 people to set the plans up. I thought they had it right finally. Wrong! I purchased the two plans as I have a large home with 2 A/C units so I purchased the basic plan and an additional premium plus plan which included maintenance and repairs on the A/C units, heating and water heater or so they told me it would. They were supposed to send the information in the mail, which was never received. I called and spoke with the representative and he assured me the literature about the plan was on the way. It has been over 45 days and nothing has been received from this company...

Well today I called to schedule the maintenance and it was surreal. I was put on hold for over 50 minutes being transferred (no exaggeration) 6 times, I wrote down all their names. End result... no appointments were made. I did get disgusted and talked with customer service and cancelled the plans. If they cannot make an appointment to maintain the units under warranty, they certainly will not be able to make an appointment to repair the units if necessary. End result, I called South Jersey Gas Company, cancelled my automatic payments and told them about the hassles I had been thru. Stir clear of this horrible company...

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

In three months, HomeServe couldn't manage to communicate with us whether our claim (underground pipe repair) was approved or rejected, and each time we called within that time frame, we received a different offputting response, conflicting statements, or just lies. After many intervening calls for a status, we were eventually told our claim was CANCELED. This, with NO NOTICE, and us still believing one representation that approval was still being discussed. I requested a copy of the contract/policy that would advise me of my rights and obligations but it has not yet arrived.

I asked for a copy of the plumber's estimate and I was told that HomeServe would only provide me with the amount ($1500) they would cover and the amount ($1126) I owe, with no explanation as to how that figure was determined and what the overall estimate was so I could obtain my own estimate that may be more affordable or even determine how my out-of-pocket was calculated. Even the plumber HomeServe had contracted with would not provide me with their estimate, stating they work for HomeServe, and not the homeowner. Why so many secrets??? This company is scandalous. No communication; no customer service; no coverage.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I'm a landlord and use HomeServe a lot and they are fine, occasionally good. But we have a new trend and it's that plumbers are scared of spiders. So now, HomeServe is requiring policyholders to hire a specialized exterminator anytime one of their plumbers is scared of spiders. This is outrageous. Tell the plumbers to wear a special protective suit if they are scared of spiders, don't put the burden on the policyholder - the policyholder has already paid - they pay premiums. The policyholder has already held up their end of the deal. Now HomeServe has to provide a plumber, when the coverage allows. If a plumber is afraid of spiders, that's too bad for the plumber. It should not be a problem that the policyholder is responsible for. How outrageous.

Original review: July 1, 2018

The process of getting my town to issue a permit for a water heater and a boiler required that HomeServe's master plumber coordinate the effort with the building inspector. Throughout this, I had to continually call him or his office to find out the status and effect the inspections. Most of the time my calls went unanswered. It was only after calling customer service on the 844 number was I able to get them to do what I was paying them to do.

Original review: June 12, 2018

My AC went out on 6/1/18. I called back on 6/2 to get an update. I was told they could not find anyone in my area and they had 48 hrs to find someone. I received a call exactly 48 hrs and was told someone would be out next day 6/4. Tech drove 1+hrs to get to my home. Tech came. Replaced one part. Still didn't work. He went outside and found I also needed some circuit board. He said he would call it in and the part would be in next day. It is now 6/12. I have call HomeServe every 2 days for an update. All I am told is part has not arrived yet. (I looked on many sites and I could get any part next day delivery.) Today I called and asked for a supervisor. I was told someone would call me back. 6 hrs later no call back. I think it might be time to go to small claims court to sue this company.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I am on day 5 waiting for a plumber to be sent to fix the leak in my water line to the house. Company says they're trying to find someone to send. I assumed they had contractors lined up who could respond quickly to a plumbing situation. Have called at least 6 times, told politely that they are working on it but no one has called me with updates or offered to reimburse me the cost to have the leak fixed by someone I can find. Big issue is no plumbing companies want to wait to be paid by an insurance company but HomeServe will not cover if the customer provides the plumber. Would never buy more coverage from them. I just hope I don't end up with a sinkhole from this leak.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Have had this policy for three years, never had a claim. Discovered a water line leak this past week. Called HomeServe. They sent a plumber out the same day. He dug up the line near where I'd seen a seep, found the leak. Couldn't repair it that night (needed materials not normally carried on his truck), but said he'd be back next day. We were without water overnight. Plumber appeared next day as promised and fixed the leak promptly (and, it appears, permanently). This one repair paid for, probably, 5-6 years of premiums.

Original review: May 24, 2018

When Dominion changed over to HomeServe there was no distribution of policy changes. They just took our money and when we needed them, refused to cover. They are also giving my daughter the runaround in Charlottesville because her renter (who has the Dominion account) bought the AC policy and now they will not honor it for the renter!!! I believe they seek ways NOT to make good on their policies! Can I give them ZERO stars???

Original review: May 23, 2018

Appliance warranty companies are risky as it is, since they lead you to believe your AC or furnace are "safe" but they only cover specific items. HomeServe (aka Home Emergency Insurance Solutions), however, is a cut below the others. For one, their mailers look like official utility-sponsored endorsements, misleading residents - like my 82 year old step-father - into thinking the company is working with the city. Worse still, when my step-father's old AC unit died, the HomeServe repairman told me the problem was not covered (surprise) and - get this - that even if the part was covered he could not replace it since they don't make them anymore. So HomeServe sold the old man a policy that they never intended to honor! And good luck getting anywhere with their customer service department. The "supervisors" were all polite, but did not return my calls and finally just told me no one "upstairs" will address the complaint. Wow.

Original review: May 20, 2018

The way they advertise made me feel safe. I have not called them once for a repair and it was covered, but a stopped up sink. The Valve inside my wall failed and they said this is a fixture. The first line in the coverage says valve coverage. They only cover $4.00 cut off valve. This is good to have until you have a problem. I have 5 plans with them. I would not recommend this to another person. This company promotes well, but they have a fine line for anything and the repair people know it. I read a lot of reviews and thought people were not reading the coverage. Not the case. Plumbing and Electrical you need to read carefully. Your husband can do what they cover.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I had a toilet stoppage issue. When I first contacted HomeServe about my issue, they ask me if I had a washer and if so was it also backing up. When I told them that it was not they diagnosed my problem over the phone without ever bothering to send out a professional to physically diagnose the problem. At that time I was told that I was not covered because the issue was inside and I was covered for the outside. I was also told that I should have gotten inside coverage. (Where have you heard that before). Their contract is so simple that it would be hard for anyone not to understand it. My contract simply says Sewer Septic line Plus, it does not specify outside or inside service. I do not believe that this company had any intention of honoring this contract but only to get money for as long as they could.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I have been a customer with HomeServe for the past five years, I have never used their service until six weeks ago. I called to notify them that my hot water tank had a leak. I waited three days with no contact information, I called a local plumbing company here in Payson to get the leak fix. The problem was a shut off valve on the tank not working. The repair work cost $ 197.00, I send in my invoice to HomeServe six weeks ago. I called this morning and was given the runaround with five different people.

The valve was connected to the evaporating cooler water line on the water heater. Nothing to do with the evaporator cooler. Their customer service was a nightmare, kept repeating that the evap was not cover. If any of my friends use this company I would suggest you cancel their service and save your money...I'm also asking that you share this post on your Facebook page. Thanks.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Called HomeServe. They sent a tech from MANY MILES away - and according to him, he could only diagnose the problem BEFORE attempting to repair my electrical problem. One day when I entered my home office I flipped on the light switch and all the lights went out after I heard a receptacle blow. I looked at the circuit box and a breaker had turned off. I turned it back on, but it blew again. I turned off the switch and turned the breaker back on and it didn't blow them. I replaced the receptacle with a brand new one, but when I turned the switch on the breaker blew again.

When the "electrician" saw the new receptacle, he said he couldn't repair the problem since I had done that. He just left and I never heard another word from him or HomeServe. The "electrician" said that because I had tried to fix the problem, it was NOT covered under my warranty - it was an exclusion. I don't know if I'll be charged with a "diagnosis" cost as yet. I had to wait 2 days for him to arrive, and never got the problem fixed. I finally had to call in a REAL electrician to fix the problem which was a short in the receptacle box that wired a series of receptacles together. Cost... $150.00 - but for a top notch LOCAL electrician with excellent references.

It could have been MUCH worse... my house could have been destroyed by fire, so the $150.00 was worth every penny it to find a REAL, LICENSED AND EXPERIENCED electrician, to get the required repair done, and to discover HomeServe warranties aren't as good as several others. I purchased the HomeServe warranty since it was strongly recommended by AARP. I wonder if they vetted HomeServe before they recommended them and offered a discount for signing with them.

Too bad HomeServe doesn't work with him. But I had to wait almost a week to get it repaired since the REAL electrician wasn't available sooner. I guess it's my bad that I didn't know the exclusion in the fine print. But I learned a lesson... DON'T buy warranties that have more EXCLUSIONS than INCLUSIONS. If ever I purchase another home service warranty, I'll read the FINE PRINT ON "EXCLUSIONS" beforehand. For now, Bye bye HomeServe!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Inside sewer line repair - Shame on UCLA Alumni Association for getting us connected to this company. First repair went fine. After that, the company's business plan seems to be to find any possible reason a repair is not covered. They are very creative, giving lots of reasons. Repair people collude with firm.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Called Friday evening to place a service call on my furnace. The service co. called me a while later and said they would be at my house on Monday, the temp was 15 degrees. Called to complain to a supervisor and 20 minutes later was told nothing could be done any sooner. We will be without heat for 2 1/2 days. Totally unacceptable. Told them, "I hope when I call AAA if I end up in a ditch, I hope they don't leave me in the ditch for 2 1/2 days."

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

NO HEAT. Called for tech to come to residence to view problem with forced hot air furnace system at 7:30pm Saturday 1/13. Tech comes to house as scheduled on Sunday 3pm and states a part needs to be ordered (main valve controller). STILL NO HEAT. No word from call center or manager as to when part is to arrive and be installed on Monday. Stated they do not know when part will be in. STILL NO HEAT. My son went down to check model number of Honeywell part and call FW Webb 5 minutes from my house... they had the part with 5 in stock plus mentioned to my son HOMESERVE has an account with them. We purchased out of pocket 280$. HOMESERVE contacts me Wednesday am via EMAIL they have part... 4 days later??? MY recommendation FIND A REAL SERVICE COMPANY... NO EXCUSE FOR 4 DAYS NOT HEARING FROM THEM.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I need to file a complaint. My parents called last night when the furnace went out and they said they would send someone today between 9&10. No one came. We called this morning and they were nasty with us both. Still can't find no one and it's 11 degrees outside and 47 degrees in their house. Both are elderly and have health issues. My dad is 66 and a veteran. They should of not been treated this way. They had to get a outside help to get the furnace fixed. This is wrong how my parents were treated.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I called HomeServe Sat at 11:30 pm. I have no heat, I was told by Ivan no one can come for repair until sometime on Monday, this is not what I was told about service when I signed up, Ivan said nothing he can do.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I have paid into HomeServe for over 5 years... well over 7,000.00. They left me go without water for over 2 weeks and without heat in sub zero temps for a week. Sent a guy in a jeep with a screwdriver to fix a blower that would not stop blowing cold air and when he left it started up again. Still no water due to a leak. Sending a guy 2 hours away who is rude on the phone. DO NOT EVER EVER EVER ENROLL IN HOMESERVE.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

HomeServe USA in Louisville, KY patches, patches, patches. Knew there was an obvious major issues that lasted over 9 months. Refused to fix my water line issues correctly causing me to have major out of pocket expenses. Cannot get past call center. Refused to allow me to talk to a supervisor. Local water company pushes this insurance company and even bills premiums on water bills. Both has caused undue stress and expense.

HomeServe USA expert review by Michele Lerner

HomeServe USA provides home repair service plans to help homeowners with domestic emergencies, whether they are plumbing, heating, cooling or electrical in nature. The plans are the equivalent of car roadside assistance, and aim to give consumers peace of mind and save them money.

• Customer service: The HomeServe USA repair hotline operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to quickly process repair claims and help homeowners.

• Immediate coverage: Coverage starts the day a customer's order is processed, although most plans require a 30-day waiting period before a customer makes a claim.

• Technican screening: HomeServe USA technicians are local, licensed and insured. The screening process includes an evaluation of technicians in the field as well as verification of their certifications.

• Range of plans: Plans provide coverage for areas such as exterior and interior electrical wiring, exterior sewer and septic lines, interior plumbing and drainage, water heater, cooling and heating systems and the interior gas line.

• Guarantee: HomeServe USA plans come with a one-year guarantee to ensure the thoroughness of repairs.

• Best for: first-time buyers, owners of older homes and those who want to cover more specialized problems.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
    Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

HomeServe USA Company Information