2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.59/5
This company pays a monthly fee to participate in the ConsumerAffairs accreditation program and we may receive compensation for any referrals.

HomeServe Reviews

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

Water was bubbling up in our yard approx 4-6’ off meter. Not sure how long had been going on we had rain Saturday and didn’t notice it. Denny shut off water at meter and at our shutoff in our home. Nothing else he could do. We call the number from our Dominion Power where we carry water line insurance. This is where we ran into issues. No return calls for anything from anyone. Communication was horrible from the number we called to get process going. We called 4 times & told someone from HomeServe would call us. No calls until 10:00 pm Sunday night. Telling us it could be few days to get estimate and 1-2 weeks to get water on. Crazy!

Next morning I received call from one of HomeServe guys apologizing but he received the call approx 11:00 pm. Too late for him to call us but he did early Monday morning. Had a guy ready to come by to look at it. We knew what was wrong and made it easier for him to get job done. He waited for Miss Utility to come out before he started. Once done he spoke with Denny to let him know and we are very happy with Homeserve. Thank you!

HomeServe response

Debra & Denny Fortney, We appreciate you giving us the chance to improve by providing us with this feedback. Thank you for your positive review. We are always more than happy to assist you if anything else comes up. Take care!

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

I have been a customer of Home Serve for years. They are ALWAYS prompt to respond and ALWAYS extremely pleasant. I live in a Development and I recently had a power outage problem but because the main circuit breaker was under lock & key outside of my house, the serviceman did everything he could to fix the problem but without access to the box he could not help me. I finally got the electrician that the Development uses and he was able to get into the box and replace the circuit breaker at a cost to me of $550.

When Home Serve called me again to see if I was able to get Con Edison to come I told them that Con Ed refused to come so I got the Development electrician, Home Serve told me to get the Electrician’s license number, a statement on what they did and the bill, they would reimburse me the money I spent as I have a contract with them and they could not help me. I have always been very pleased with the service I have gotten from Home Serve.

HomeServe response

Marcia, thank you for your feedback. We’re so pleased to have been able to help you.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Mind you, my experience with Homeserve has been mostly good. I've had two covered plumbing repairs on my inside plumbing policy, and both times a plumber came promptly, fixed the problem, and charged me nothing for the service (I had to pay for a part, but that is fair). My issue is with my Heating System warranty - and honestly, the problem arose from me not reading the correct paragraph of fine print. I had read on their website that if a unit was deemed non-repairable, they would contribute up to the yearly repair benefit to the replacement. This turns out not to be true. That is true in their appliance policy, but not in the heating policy.

Subsequent reading of the fine print was a little ambiguous, but it does not promise anything toward full replacement. They did say they would offer me a pro-rated refund of my premium back to the time I bought the policy and this turned out not to be true. When I followed up on this offer, what they actually offered me was a portion of the current month's premium in refund - $6.99. I'm on the hook for the full replacement cost of my furnace - which if I'd read my whole policy, I would have known. So now you know.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

I have exterior water line coverage and had to use it after realizing there was a bad leak outside. I called Homeserve and someone was out the next morning to assess the issue. As soon as 811 marked the ground for digging (which took a week) the plumbers were back the next business day. Initially Homeserve was told I would owe $550 but when I told the rep no way did the plumbers need to do inside work they called the plumbers for me and cleared up the issue. Homeserve called back to confirm no out of pocket costs and told me I was good to go. The plumbers replaced my entire line that day and now we are all back to working order without one dollar out of pocket cost.

This was a very easy process with Homeserve and I do recommend them to my neighbors despite being told that normally these types of companies will only put "bandaids" on these leaks even though once a line is moved it tends to leak again and again and should just be replaced. I can only rate my experience which was great and worth the $7 a month cost.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

Coe Electric, Dan Coe Owner- was dispatched to my residence after a tornado came through South Charleston, WV. Causing significant damage to our power lines & our aeration system because the power pole fell on top of it. My power pole was broken, all the lines were laying down & aeration system smashed. When they arrived they were quick to assess the damage and get started on the job. It started to pour down rain on these guys and they still worked through it. They put up a brand new power pole & installed the service on our Mobile Home instead of another wood pole in the yard. They ran a new wire electrical line under our MH & grounded it to make sure it was up to code and did this all in the same day. The job was almost completed in the same day but due to the inspector not coming out that night we didn't get power until the next day.

The next day Coe Electric came back out and fixed our aeration system, it had to be re-wired. All this was done with great efficiency & great customer service! I didn't have to pay anything, it was all covered under my exterior line coverage through HomeServe! It is definitely worth the money!! I was definitely impressed with Coe Electric and will defintiely call them if needed in the future!! I'd highly recommend Coe Electric!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeServe?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Clogged sewer drain. When Home Serve was called I got a rapid response before severe flood and damage occurred in my basement. Everyone was very professional, and concerned for my needs. Acme Service came and knew just what to do. Everything was taken carried of within 2 hours. I was so impressed and spoke to my family and friends about how good the service was all around. Thank you for all you have done. You are all truly lifesavers.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I contacted the Sharp rep. when the furnace stop working. She said the computers were down and took my information. When they were operational, she called me back with the information and had set up the initial appointment. The company they used was excellent.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Hi. You guys advertise 24 hours and that is not ever the case. Around the clock plumbing came to my house to fix my backup and I had to call back 2 days later because he didn't fix it. Check in on the company's used to provide services to make sure they are diligent.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Started out a little rocky but ended up great. As soon as everything got straightened out everything went smooth. They sent someone who was experienced and he did a great job. Everyone was very polite and professional. Thank You.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

When I called in for service, I was helped right away. I was contacted the day by the plumbing company, and they came out the day after and cleared my drain. Angel was polite, helpful, and very tidy. Fantastic service and I am glad I have it. Thank you.

HomeServe expert review by Michele Lerner

HomeServe USA provides home repair service plans to help homeowners with domestic emergencies, whether they are plumbing, heating, cooling or electrical in nature. The plans are the equivalent of car roadside assistance, and aim to give consumers peace of mind and save them money.

• Customer service: The HomeServe USA repair hotline operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to quickly process repair claims and help homeowners.

• Immediate coverage: Coverage starts the day a customer's order is processed, although most plans require a 30-day waiting period before a customer makes a claim.

• Technican screening: HomeServe USA technicians are local, licensed and insured. The screening process includes an evaluation of technicians in the field as well as verification of their certifications.

• Range of plans: Plans provide coverage for areas such as exterior and interior electrical wiring, exterior sewer and septic lines, interior plumbing and drainage, water heater, cooling and heating systems and the interior gas line.

• Guarantee: HomeServe USA plans come with a one-year guarantee to ensure the thoroughness of repairs.

• Best for: first-time buyers, owners of older homes and those who want to cover more specialized problems.

by Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

HomeServe Company Information