1.61/5

62 HomeServe USA Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 20, 2019

My drains in kitchen backed up - including the washer drain on Saturday. I called and although they couldn't get anyone out till Monday - I kept an open mind even after I read all the negative comments. The plumber they sent was very professional and I was very pleased with the repair as well as Home Serve's handling of my call. I will continue with my coverage with them through Dominion Power. Thank you Home Serve for saving me the huge plumbing bill I would have had!!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

My water heater had water on the top of it. I called and someone came to look at it and said it needed replacing. Within 48 hours it was totally replaced with no problem. I could not have been more pleased!

HomeServe USA response

Hi Patricia, thanks for providing this feedback on your service experience. Glad that the whole process was done to your satisfaction! Thanks for being our customer.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I have had HomeServe protect me for both my heating and air conditioning systems for many years now. John came today and was so professional, like so many of the repair people from HomeServe. John always goes that extra mile. He was great - he came within the repair appointment window, he fixed the thermocoupler issue with my boiler, and he waited to make sure that the system came back up fully. Those extra few minutes waiting to make sure that everything was truly working well makes all the difference. It shows his concern. The cold weather has been so dangerous lately, so it made me feel confident that we would be safe. I recommend every home owner should take out their heating and AC maintenance contracts. I know I can count on HomeServe.

HomeServe USA response

Hi Allison, the "polar vortex" we just went through was quite severe for sure. So glad that we were able to fix your heating system problem quickly. Thanks for sharing your feedback and for being a customer!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Fearing a problem with my 65 year old boiler I enrolled in their heating plan. I was not disappointed by the ease of scheduling a date of service (same day) and the repairman arrived on time. He easily diagnosed the problem and miraculously the parts were found! He arrived the next day and now the boiler is humming again. I am completely pleased with HomeServe and their technicians. Thank you again!

HomeServe USA response

Thanks Brian for your comments and for being a customer. We appreciate you taking the time to share your service experience.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Have had this policy for three years, never had a claim. Discovered a water line leak this past week. Called HomeServe. They sent a plumber out the same day. He dug up the line near where I'd seen a seep, found the leak. Couldn't repair it that night (needed materials not normally carried on his truck), but said he'd be back next day. We were without water overnight. Plumber appeared next day as promised and fixed the leak promptly (and, it appears, permanently). This one repair paid for, probably, 5-6 years of premiums.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeServe USA?

Original review: May 20, 2019

This company is very bad. I've had a service contract with them for several years. My HVAC system was new, so I didn't need much service, at first. I did notice a few concerning things during the yearly maintenance, that was included as part of the service contract, but I foolishly continued to maintain the service contract, nonetheless. Later on, when I had trouble with my A/C system, I realized that I made a big mistake by continuing to use them for HVAC service. Certainly, some of the service technicians are qualified. However, some others are grossly incompetent. Still, others were very ill tempered. One even showed up smelling of alcohol. The customer service is often impolite, even rude. To add insult to injury, I found them to be highly dishonest. The service contract price is very competitive, but the service contract is effectively useless. I cannot recommend this company, in any respect.

Original review: May 15, 2019

My central AC died after 14 years. Now, I understand I shouldn't expect it to last much longer, but I would have appreciated a "heads up" last year and the year before to let me know it was starting to go. The unit was originally put in by LILCO, and the maintenance contract was outsourced to HomeServe some years later. Every year in March I faithfully called HomeServe for a maintenance check (and paid them $363 annually!) The technician was usually in and out in about 20 minutes and would tell me "You're all set". I believed him.

THIS year the tech from HomeServe took about an HOUR and 20 minutes and told me that the unit was all rusted and filled with black mold... SERIOUSLY??? YOU'RE TELLING ME THAT THIS HAPPENED IN A YEAR??? Last year I was told everything was fine!! So, we called HomeServe to give us a price on a new unit (3 tons) and they quoted me $8,400 (PLUS the yearly $363 maintenance). No thank you, I didn't trust them after they blew off my inspections year after year. We asked for special price consideration because of the service snafu and the sales rep said he would have his supervisor review our case... STILL waiting to hear from him.

Original review: May 11, 2019

My elderly parents have been paying for their hot water insurance (and five other types of insurance) for years with this company. When the hot water heater went out, it took more than a week to get someone to come out and look at it. When they did come out, they told them the heater would need a new burner. The problem seemed to be in the igniter, but they told them that the parts were now connected because the water heater was "too new."

More than a week went by and still no burner. When my parents called the company they told them that the new burner would cost them $230, or they could pay $285 to have the entire water heater replaced. Later, when I called, they told me that the burner is no longer available for that water heater because it is "too old." My brother found the burner at a local chain store for $100 with very little effort. The 40 gallon replacement heater is a little over $400, but the costs exceeded their maximum benefit value by $285, according to my first call.

When I called back a second time the story had again changed and the $285 was to "bring it up to code." The second guy was not as good at lying as the first guy, and I caught him in several. The first guy only got caught a couple of times. In the end I may have the installation done because it's cheaper than buying one and installing it myself, but these contracts will most certainly be cancelled. They will steal money from the elderly, defraud them, and steal more money when it comes time to actually do the repair. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!

Original review: May 7, 2019

Originally, I signed up for appliance coverage from a mail campaign from Florida Power & Light. I assumed that FPL would have vetted HomeServe thoroughly before offering HomeServe to customers. I had coverage for less than one year before my washing machine required repairs. After an initial call to establish a work order, I was told that I'd receive a call back from a repair contractor by noon the following business day. No one ever called back.

After six calls to HomeServe repairs, I was told that they (HomeServe) would have to get a "cooperating" contract repair shop in my area to attend to my problem. Still, no one ever responded or called back. Finally sensing that this is a scam, I called their Billings & Cancellations Dept to terminate my contract. HomeServe's agent told me that I'd receive the remaining credit, < $5, back to my credit card. In the end, my washer problem was solved by hiring a legitimate local repair contractor. Lesson learned.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Bad experience with this scam company. Be aware. This company it doesn't cover what it says. First we got a back up issues on our sewer pipe. We called and they says "someone will contacting you in 2 to 4 hours". After 6 days someone shows up, after our many calls of course. Ok now, they will fix it or they might fix the problem but you need to still have the sewer pipe totally clogged for days, otherwise they won't fix it. Also if you don't have access clean out inside your home they can't do anything either. Imagine to have your home for 6 days with smell of **, and nobody comes to fix it.

I have to clean up every day my sewer and use it, and once they send a plumber, the plumber can't do anything because it's clear, and they can't do any repairs. So I cancel my service with them, and now I will ending fixing our self with plumber that we know, it came good. So please don't let these people take your money and don't waste your time calling these guys. This is scam company that they take $11 or $12 a month for everybody. If I can mark minus stars, I will mark it minus 10 stars.

Original review: April 11, 2019

We purchased warranty for our furnace. Sent people out 5 or 6 times leading us to believe it would be fixed. Each time was different story, different part, blah blah blah. Last time they said it was water in our furnace, we needed a new one. HELLO, our furnace is outside!!! Called the guy who installed it, which is retired, he looked at it and in 10 minutes knew what was wrong. Ordered part, installed and has been running for 2 months now. We had been without a furnace from the last part of Oct. 2018, till Feb of 2019. Used our gas fireplace all winter till we got carbon monoxide poisoning!!! All we are trying to get is reimbursed for the part which is $350. TOTAL JOKE!!!

Original review: April 8, 2019

My mom brought a hot water heater replacement warranty from HomeServe and when it needed to be replaced they had a plumber removed it and didn’t replaced until a month later after numerous calls on status and why out of pocket costs beyond insurance coverage benefit was $1,050. My mom is 83 yrs and has dementia. During my calls to follow up discovery they decreased their benefit coverage from maximum amount of $850 on Friday, March 29, 2019 to $800 on April 2, 2019, and then to only $500 on April 3, 2019. Who reduces the benefit amount daily? Never heard of such games. Stay away from this company. The plumber finally installed heater for the original out of pocket quote of $1,050 and claimed to have eaten the difference.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I purchased the outside electrical lines coverage with HomeServe thru my Appalachian Power service. I had the coverage for about 6 months when I called HomeServe to look at my outside line which enters my house, since the wrapping on the lines had deteriorated and was exposing the inner wires. Two different HomeServe electricians came to my house, first asking to look at my inside breaker box. This box was installed about 10 years ago when the house was remodeled. Both men stated the box would have to be replaced and moved, other wiring would need replaced (inside) along with a list of other changes. This would cost a lot of money that I don't have. I declined their suggestions for this expensive work. Neither of these electricians seemed that interested in addressing the issue of my outside line. I cancelled my contract with HomeServe.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Updated on 04/02/2019: I wrote a review on HomeServe last week and the company responded to me saying to email them at customeradvocacy.com to resolve issue. I emailed them and got a response "Address not found or is unable to receive mail." They are purely a scam company.

Original Review: Please do not waste your money on this insurance company. I have been paying annual premiums for my gas line replacement insurance for 13 years and now that I need to use it, of course, there are loopholes and it won't be covered. So I'm trying to get a copy of my plan with HomeServe (since it changed hands from Dominion Services) and it's been 5 days and I can't even get an e-mailed copy. They tell me it takes 24-48 BUSINESS hours to get the e-mail to me, since I haven't been in their records a year yet (since they bought the plan from Dominion Services, not my fault).

So I asked for a postal mailed copy. And again, they have to process the request and I was told it would take even longer to get that. So of course, we will get the work done and not be able to debate with HomeServe for payment since I can't even get a copy of my plan. And I also set up an on-line account with HomeServe, at their urging, but my plan is not on-line either. Of course, it's because I haven't been in their records a year yet. TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE COMPANY. Do not waste your money on them!

Original review: March 18, 2019

Updated on 03/24/2019: Minus 1 star-- Follow up on my recent review: After calling HomeServe again, recorded the conversation to them having informed them we were recording it, as suggested by my attorney son-in-law and low and behold a service person appeared an hour later and attempted to fix the blocked line of the sewer as the service contract stated they would do-- but no luck. The plumbing company owner came and said the problem was due to the town sewer line so husband called the town. They sent a company who blocked out over 4 blocks and worked all night cleaning main lines-- no help, sewer still very high in our home.

Next morning we called HomeServe, they had closed our record. It should have been fixed by what the town did they said. We tried standing over the high sewer pit repeating that phrase "you should be fixed" but it didn't work. Called the plumbing company ourselves, had to pay them in cash for service call, they came out, and were able to clear the line--$175.00 in cash (plus an additional tip as the service man was a sweetheart). So now we have spent $200 on bills to stay over night to stay somewhere to use water and $175 in plumbing fees--$375. We are waiting HomeServe, don't keep calling other to say a check is in the mail.

Original Review: Do not use this service. They talked us into this somehow--came out once. Handled a little problem, we renewed it. Then there was a major problem--response was inadequate, but worse than that they lied--said they would come back with a camera and diagnose where the sewer line issue was. Then went back on it and said line problem was ours with no diagnostics--because it would cost money. They hired a clairvoyant. I guess to diagnose it was not their liability. Left us with NO sewer, for many days, yup no toilet, shower, etc. I wish I could give -negative stars!

Original review: March 8, 2019

Ok so like many customers I too have had a really bad experience with this company. Let me start by saying this company is the biggest scam company you will find. I sold my parents house about 1year and half ago and did not know that they had purchase a plan with HomeServe and neither did they somehow they must've signed some kind of paper cause I know my parents don't know how to use computers. At any rate I'm in control of their finances now so I check their account make sure rogue companies like this one don't take money out. I found they had a policy that was taking money monthly out of their account so I called and spoke to a very nice lady that said she would cancel my policy and refund the last month's amount, I said thanks.

5 days later no refund but another charge comes out so I called them on the phone and ask if my account was still active and they said, "Oh yes your account is still active and you have coverage for electric, sewer and water heater." Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I was like I canceled my service 5 days ago and had the lady's name written down (apparently no one knows her). Anyway, I spoke to the cancellation department a very nice well spoken lady who canceled my whole policy and said wait for 5-6 business days for a refund. I am very skeptical that this will happen and am closely monitoring the bank account for other withdraws from this scam of a company.

From what I am reading not only do they NOT cover/repair premium policyholders claims they even give them the runaround. DO NOT PURCHASE A PLAN FROM THIS COMPANY IS A TOTAL SCAM. Small claim courts must be busy dealing with this company. I know I will be taking them there if my policy is not canceled immediately. Thanks.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

If you want to have an idea how this company works just look at the reviews... They only respond to the very few people that gives them a five stars and ignore totally everyone with a legitimate concern. You pay for emergency service. You call them. When the weather drop to 20 degree they tell they’ll get someone in within 24 hours. The lady I spoke to advise me to go get some electric heater and she’ll see if she can find someone, three hours later another one promise to send someone by 10:30 at night, at 11:30 a man just told me they could find anyone to come fix the heat. What is the point of paying for an emergency service. That is so frustrating especially when you have 3 children in the house. I wish I could give them a zero star. My reference# on the calls is **.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

When a repair man cannot finish the job because he does not have all the parts that he needs, and they charge you an additional service fee (165.00) to come back and finish the job, I figured they can't make money by expanding their client base (because they suck) so they charge every time they come out to repair the same problem. Used HomeServe years ago, when they took pride in their company, and had some integrity. Now, they just plain suck. Do your homework, and stay away.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I have been with this company since 2016. The very first time we called for service the contractor plumbers they sent gave us a hard time. The company resolved that issue. However today 1/23/19 I received a letter stating I did not have any coverage, which I did since it was for a year, I renewed on 6/28/18. I called and gave them the service plan # and they said I didn't have that plan, that it was the water line plan. I know what I signed up for, kept the email as proof. I called back to speak to someone else hoping they would cooperate, of course not. This person said the contractor plumbers reported my sewer line as broken and we were not eligible for coverage. They never called or sent a letter stating that. I had been paying monthly until last year when I chose to pay for the whole year. This company lies, total rip off and waste of time. Needless to say, I doubt they'll be refunding me the partial refund.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Sewer line blockage and flooded basement. Called HomeServe and was told it would take a couple days for them to get a plumber to the house. RIGHT. Purchase a snake and did it myself. It flooded again and this time, since I knew HomeServe would not get a plumber to unplug the sewer line in a timely manner I called Roto-Rooter. They unplug the sewer line and found that it was being caused by roots entering the sewer line and that the line has separated. I called HomeServe to see if they would cover the replacement of the damaged sewer line. The answer was NO since it was no longer blocked. Would need to wait for it to plug up and flood again, call them, wait for them to show up, and then they might replace the pipe. Was told that normally they would only replace the pipe if the complete pipe caves in. Don't waste your money on this warranty.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I have had this company for 2 years, I've paid every premium on time. This is the second time I've used the repair service, and this is the second time I've had issues. They are as of now, 100% incompetent. They subcontract for everything, which leaves their customers at the mercy of people who aren't getting paid directly. They schedule repairs with a subcontracted warranty company, who then subcontracts out for repair calls. I took off work to wait for 5 hours for someone to come out, only to be stood up. When I called back, I was told nothing could be done, except to reschedule.

When I asked for something after hours or on the weekend, I was told there wasn't any availability. When I asked which one of their reps would come and wait in my place, I was told no one would. When I asked if I would be reimbursed for my wasted time, I was told no. So, in essence, I've paid three times more for my premium this month, and I still don't have a repair person coming to my home. How is this company still in business? I will be sure to talk to Dominion about why they recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Worst experience ever!!! Dozens of calls, more than 20 hours at the phone, lies, excuses, no show ups, ignorance saying dryer was not covered, impossible to talk to a supervisor... 3 weeks later I ended buying a new dryer without ever going to the house to see the problem!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I had been approved for replacement of my outdoor plumbing pipe by the previous company working for SCE&G. The previous plumber lied that the work had been done and got paid (despite me telling them had not been done). Now this new company sent a plumber over (HomeServe/working for Dominion Energy). Both my sink and bath tub were stopped up. This stems from old sewer pipes. The plumber assured me that he would submit a proposal for the work to be done. I called after 2 weeks of not hearing anything. He never submitted paperwork, and his supervisor stated that they would not do pipe replacement because "they are not sure it needs to be done". The first plumber was very certain that the pipe needed to be replaced--my problem will continue until it is replaced!

It has already been ascertained that the pipe (24 feet in my yard) needs to be replaced. The HomeServe plumber tried to talk loudly and would not let me talk or listen to me. He just said they would not do the work. This company is apparently worse than the one that preceded it! I have now called Mr. **, a Dominion Representative. But he didn't help me when the previous plumber committed fraud, and got paid $1500 for work/pipe replacement that never got done--and I told them this! They chose to say instead that I was "confused" about whether the job had been done (IT WAS NEVER DONE!). I have paid money added to my electric bill monthly for repairs! Needed repairs on my sewer line are not being done--HomeServe continues to want to make a profit at the expense of customers who have little recourse! The worst kind of crook--the kind that does it for greed!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I was insured for 4 years with them, never an issue (water, plumbing, sewer, water heater, HVAC, more than $50/month). Two weeks ago my heating broke, they send a contractor AFTER 2 DAYS. The contractor said he will need to order a part (the igniter, a very small and cheap part), and he needs 2 days for that. He showed after 9 DAYS, yesterday! He replaced the part, and... Still not working. I called HomeServe, and I sent an email; no reply at all. Then today I called another contractor, I paid $125 and I had the furnace finally fixed. Worst company ever, stay away!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I had a terrible experience with this company. Beware! And, understand what is covered! I purchased a policy for my hot water heater through Florida Power & Light. When my hot water heater began leaking, I contacted HomeServe. They sent out their local provider. Via their provider, HomeServe approved a new hot water heater, but said that I would need to pay the local provider $425 for "pipe modification". A HomeServe representative told me that the local provider was charging them $640 for the water & installation, but that I needed to pay the $425 out of pocket because "pipe modification" was not covered under the plan.

I asked numerous representatives at HomeServe to explain "pipe modification", but nobody could answer my question. They referred me back to the local plumber. After speaking with the plumber, I understood that this would need to be done for any basic installation of any water heater and I didn't understand why this would not have been included under my policy for installation.

Next, I contacted a plumber in my neighborhood who looked at my job and said it was the most basic of installations, which they would charge $200 for - a full water heater install, including the dreaded "pipe modification". I next spoke to a supervisor at HomeServe and she explained to me that a "pipes" clause was in the fine print in the contract and I should have understood that when I agreed to the contract. I'm not a plumber, but OK. So I asked her why would I pay their provider $425 for "pipe modification" when I could get a full install for $200 from a local plumber.

Since I was apparently so stupid not to understand these terms, I asked if I could then just have the water heater covered under my policy and I would pay out of pocket the $200 for installation vs. the $425 from their provider and I was told no. This is a scam. I'm not sure if HomeServe is the scammer and getting the insured to pay for the installation via the "pipe modification" clause. Wink, wink. Or, if the local provider is the scammer. But, it stinks. I am a single mom who purchased a policy for peace of mind.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I made an appointment for routine maintenance several weeks in advance. The appointment was for between 8 AM and Noon. At 12:15 no one had arrived so I called and was asked to call back in a half an hour. At 1:00 PM I called back and was referred to a different department. A man named David answered and was unable to contact the technician or give an update. At 1:30 I noticed a small white car outside the house. In the door was a "sorry we missed you" notice. I had been home all day, waiting. The technician was in the little white car. He serviced the furnaces. I don't blame the tech. This was clearly a training issue. Dispatch should have called re: the delay. David should have been able to contact the tech. Why didn't the tech have a phone # to contact me? HomeServe needs to streamline their customer contact procedures.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I made an appointment to have my heating unit serviced for the coming winter several months ago and was given an appointment for 10/23/18 between the hours of 8am to noon. At 1:30 pm the technician had not arrived so I called HomeServe. They told me because they had repairs to take care of they couldn't accommodate me. They rescheduled my appointment for December 4th. So they didn't show up or call to tell me they were not coming and postponed servicing my heater that is covered by my contract with them for 1 1/2 months. Very unprofessional.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

We have a contract that covers our heat and air conditioning with HomeServe. In early summer, our air conditioning was not working and they came and said it was not repairable and needed an entirely new system (priced at $19k). We had a second company come and repaired for $295. Fast forward to the fall and we had a 4 hour window for them to come and repair our heat. We are now 90 minutes after the 4 hour window and are told we have at least another 30 minutes before someone arrives.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I purchased a home warranty through Homeserve USA covering several different items in my house, one being the exterior sewage/septic line. My premium was 143.88 a year which I paid every month on time for 6 years. I had an issue with one of my exterior sewage lines breaking away from the main sewage line. This kind of unforeseen incident is exactly why I bought this coverage. I called Homeserve USA to have them come repair the sewage line just to be told that unless I can see sewage water leaking or backing up in the line it is not covered. WOW! What a slap in the face.

I paid 869.28 over the last 6 years to be told, "Sorry about your broken sewage line, but we’re not fixing it. I obviously canceled all of my coverages that I had through Homeserve USA immediately. If their exterior sewage line coverage doesn’t cover a broken sewage line then how can their water heater coverage be trusted to cover my water heater? I’m also going to assume that my exterior water line coverage doesn’t cover a broken exterior water line. After paying $575.88 for exterior water line coverage, $869.28 for exterior sewage line coverage, and $683.28 for water heater coverage combined for the past 6 years, Homeserve USA managed to get $2,128.44 out of me and not cover a broken sewage line. Learn from my costly mistake and do not deal with Homeserve USA in any capacity. They CANNOT be trusted!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

The claim was process and approved for a water heater in July 2018. Today is October 15, 2018 and for the 6th or 7th time calling and giving a customer service rep my mailing address, still no check. Was told the matter would be escalated and a supervisor, who was busy at the time of my call, would call the next business day. That didn't happen even though every call they ask to verify my phone number. Today I called and asked to speak to a supervisor. Was told all supervisors were busy and one of them would call me back within three hours. Like that's going to happen. The main problem is there is no way to get past the customer service people to a manager or a department. They seem very nice on the phone and sincere but each call they tell me they see my mailing address. So why does accounts payable keep mailing the check to my physical address. This part of customer service is absolutely horrible.

HomeServe USA expert review by Michele Lerner

HomeServe USA provides home repair service plans to help homeowners with domestic emergencies, whether they are plumbing, heating, cooling or electrical in nature. The plans are the equivalent of car roadside assistance, and aim to give consumers peace of mind and save them money.

• Customer service: The HomeServe USA repair hotline operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to quickly process repair claims and help homeowners.

• Immediate coverage: Coverage starts the day a customer's order is processed, although most plans require a 30-day waiting period before a customer makes a claim.

• Technican screening: HomeServe USA technicians are local, licensed and insured. The screening process includes an evaluation of technicians in the field as well as verification of their certifications.

• Range of plans: Plans provide coverage for areas such as exterior and interior electrical wiring, exterior sewer and septic lines, interior plumbing and drainage, water heater, cooling and heating systems and the interior gas line.

• Guarantee: HomeServe USA plans come with a one-year guarantee to ensure the thoroughness of repairs.

• Best for: first-time buyers, owners of older homes and those who want to cover more specialized problems.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

HomeServe USA Company Information