2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.20/5

HomeServe offers a variety of plans that cover electrical wiring, gas fuel lines, plumbing, cooling and heating systems. Depending upon where you live, costs for HomeServe plans have an average starting price of $5.49 a month. Combination plans are also available if you want to mix and match. You can cancel within 30 days for a full refund. Call customer service 24/7. There are no deductibles, and covered repairs have a one-year guarantee.

HomeServe Gallery (1)

BOTTOM LINE

HomeServe specializes in providing coverage for your home’s essential systems, including electrical, plumbing and heat and air. While the company doesn’t offer appliance coverage, its systems coverage is thorough and affordable.

PROS

• Individual system coverage available
  • One-year workmanship guarantee
  • Low-cost plans

CONS

• No appliance coverage available

Top HomeServe Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeServe?

When I called in for service, I was helped right away. I was contacted the day by the plumbing company, and they came out the day after and cleared my drain. Angel was polite, helpful, and very tidy. Fantastic service and I am glad I have it.

Repairman came the same day we called. He was very efficient and thorough. He checked our hot water heater which is outside. Then he came inside to make sure we had hot water in the kitchen and all bathrooms. We would highly recommend your company.

HomeServe plans and coverage

HomeServe plans are available to cover the core systems in your home. You can choose to protect individual systems or multiple systems with a combination plan for total protection:

• Plumbing plans: Get coverage for your interior plumbing and drainage system, exterior sewer or water service lines that connect the home to the municipal or utility provider.
  • Electrical plans: Maintain exterior electrical equipment, interior wiring and electrical surge protection.
  • Heating and cooling plans: Protect your cooling system, heating, gas fuel line and water heater.
  • Combo plans: Roll all plumbing, electrical or heating and cooling coverage options into one plan, or combine all three under the Interior Protection Plan or Premium Home Protection Plan.

Under the most comprehensive combo plan, the following items are covered:

• Exterior water service line
  • Water heater
  • Heating system
  • Cooling system

HomeServe cost

HomeServe plans start at an average of $5.49 a month. Because HomeServe offers so many individual coverage or combination plans, total costs vary by plan and by location around the country.

We requested a quote for a home in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and got the following pricing information:

PlanMonthly cost
Heating system coverage$10.99
Water heater repair and replacement plan$7.99
Electrical surge $1,000 coverage$3.99
Electrical surge $3,000 coverage$5.99
Prices quoted for Tulsa, Oklahoma, less applicable sales tax. Prices may vary by location. Visit HomeServe’s website and enter your zip code to receive pricing for your location.

HomeServe claims

Getting systems serviced by HomeServe is a straightforward process, with representatives available 24/7, including holidays, to take your call and dispatch a technician to your home to make the needed repairs.

1. Submit a repair claim by calling HomeServe’s 24-hour hotline.
  2. HomeServe will send a licensed and fully vetted local technician to your home.
  3. The technician handles covered repairs.

HomeServe has a one-year workmanship guarantee on all covered repairs.

HomeServe FAQ

Does HomeServe require a home inspection?
No. HomeServe does not require a home inspection before beginning a home warranty contract.
Can I pick my own service technician?
HomeServe will provide the technician. HomeServe works with a network of local, licensed and insured technicians. Working with its technicians affords policyholders a workmanship guarantee.
Is there a limit on repairs?
Depending upon the chosen contract, there may be repair or dollar limits during the annual contract period. For example, HomeServe advertises that homeowners can receive up to $2,500/year per covered system, or up to a $10,000 maximum annual benefit for repairs. Your contract will have these details and is available on the HomeServe website.
Do I have to pay a service call fee if a technician comes out more than once on the same repair?
There are no service fees, and since covered repairs are guaranteed, there are no service fees for a technician to re-attend.

Is HomeServe worth it?

We recommend home warranties for people living in older homes who are not confident repairing items themselves or who don’t have a large savings fund for household systems emergencies. Getting coverage on higher-risk, higher-cost repair items is a good investment in securing the functionality of your home. We recommend HomeServe for its specialized coverage, its relatively low contract costs and its many plan options.

HomeServe Reviews

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

It's fairly easy to get the claim pushed through with HomeServe. We had a backup. The plumber came out but he couldn't get it. So, he had to call another one. Another one came up and he couldn't get it. Then they sent another team out. They ended up getting it. Then I had another backup that came up even before that go. I had another plumber come out that wasn't connected with Homeserve or Haynes. He suggested that I run the camera down the system.

I had an independent contractor. I paid over $500 for them to come up and run a camera. The pipe is about 10 feet out that has a deep dip in it. What happened, stuff built up in that area and eventually, it caused the backup. It may take a while to do it, but eventually, it does. I passed that on to Haynes. When that came out, I showed them that. They said there was no problem. I’d always have water in the pipes. I said okay. But then, I had another backup that came back out. They ran another camera down there. It was the same thing. They said it’s slow, but there was no major problem. They cleared it. Then it started backing up again.

Then they came out and ran another camera. They said I had a broken pipe, which I suspected that. They replaced a portion of the pipe, but it didn't replace the part where the dip was. About two weeks ago, I had another backup. I called them and the guy came out. At first, he couldn't get it ‘cause he had a little smaller snake. He called back and a guy came out with a larger snake. He went back to clear the line.

I was explaining to him the same problem I was having. I said it's gonna be back up again eventually. Haynes came out and they looked at it. Homeserve was calling another company ‘cause another company came out this Wednesday. They ran a camera down there. The same thing that I've been telling Haynes and my contractor that paid for, the problem was that dip in the pipe. They just confirmed everything that I had to say. They sent the paperwork to Homeserve.

HomeServe is going to replace that section of pipe, but they haven’t done that. I'm just praying right now I don’t get another backup before this occurs. But Homeserve seems very cooperative with me, and they’re very nice and very pleasant. But the problem hasn’t really been solved as of yet. I would recommend them because Homeserve is not doing the work themselves. They have contractors and they go by what the contractor says.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I’m old and so any time we can get this HomeServe that would help with the maintenance and upkeep of the house that is at a moderate cost, there's no problem. I've only had them look into one issue and that was with my water. I received a bill that had gone up to as much as $5,000 and I had forgotten that I even had this service. I was talking to one of the representatives about one of the other ones. Before I even said that, she said that I also have water inside and outside service if there are any problems. I said that I’m gonna need their service and that I've got a bill that’s going on with me and the City of Miami-Dade Water and Sewer. We get billed every three months and that should’ve been about six months. They kept giving me a chance to find it and we could never find out. We’ve already had several people out. That was how I got them to come out and take care of a particular bill.

The person that did the work was very good. He seemed to be very informed and he seemed to know his craft. My son spoke with him as well. He said he couldn't find a leak, which that had been the ongoing explanation whenever we would get somebody out to check it and yet my bill was still going. I was hoping that he would’ve been able to find something, but he said the same thing everybody else had been saying. I figured he knew what he was doing. He also checked the outside.

Original review: May 14, 2020

I submitted a total of three claims. One was for a dryer, but that never really got resolved. I submitted one for my refrigerator and there was a lot of issues with that. But eventually, they said that they were going to take care of it and reimburse us, so that's supposed to be working out pretty good. The third one was for a water heater and they came out and fixed that really fast. The contractor was professional. So overall, Homeserve has been good. It's just that the claim for our refrigerator took over almost two months because we were given misinformation. But somebody got involved and managed to take care of it for us.

When we call Homeserve, nobody seems to know anybody and I always have to keep on explaining my case over and over. There were times when they said they were gonna follow up with us and they never did. At one point, we were waiting to speak to an agent and the agent said that they were busy and then we kinda heard them in the background kinda laughing. So it almost seemed like I started to lose trust in the company, thinking that it was a scam.

When we call someone, we expect to be able to speak to them and never wanna give out their last name. I was trying to write down who I speaking to because it was a big issue but they never wanna give their last names, and I kinda felt like they were hiding stuff and they were giving me a big runaround. But eventually, somebody from the advocacy department got involved and everything is supposed to be resolved and we are supposed to be getting reimbursed here soon. So we're waiting to see how that's gonna go.

Original review: March 5, 2020

It's been years since I joined HomeServe. I got something in the mail. I've been with them for maybe about 10 years. Submitting a claim this time was great. The guy who came out was courteous and he fixed it efficiently. I've had two claims that were handled really well. They were small but the last two guys really did a good job. One of them was a leak behind the sink and one of them was with supply line problems, a leak going into the sink. Their contractors were courteous. When they ran into problems, they didn't try to put it off 'til another day. This last guy went right down and bought a part at Home Depot. And then my meter in the street wouldn't shut off so he advised me to get that fixed. As soon as they fixed it, they actually got out that day. I called back and he was out here and fixed it that same day. I was really impressed with that.

I had a big problem about five years ago though, and I’m still not satisfied with that. The first time the guy from Plumb Genius came, I had a leak in the drain under the house. There was water standing under the house. They came out but didn't have a sump pump and I didn't have one either. They told me it was my responsibility to pump the water out from under the house. I did that but I thought that was BS. They came back out and they said they found possum tracks under my house, so they refuse to go under the house until I capture the possum. I've never captured a wild animal before in my life but I have a grandson who loaned me a live trapper but all I caught was a really irate squirrel.

Three weeks later, they had finally agreed to come out and risk their lives and go under the house where there might be a possum. By that time, the problem had grown exponentially. Before that, there wasn’t feces in the water but after that, there was. It was my responsibility to pump it out. The guy that HomeServe used to contract said the company insisted they buy their own equipment, for one thing. They didn't provide them with a sump pump. This guy fixed it and it cost HomeServe $3,000. I had a guy that probably could have fixed it for a lot less than that and done a good job, and fixed it as soon as the problem arose.

But now, even with these many years later, I don't leave the vent grilles open and the fan. There's this stench that comes up from under the house. I guess that'll be there until I die and this house is passed on to somebody else. I feel sorry for that person, but there's nothing I can do about it.

After the initial deal, I didn't realize that there would be a problem like this. Once the leak was stopped and it dried up, there's always this problem. I will never use Plumb Genius locally either because they were just inept. The two guys that actually fixed it, they were good. Initially, if they had come out and fixed it, they had the equipment and they wouldn't have been afraid of the possum, it would have been fixed while it was just water from the washer or something like that.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

The City of Baltimore recommended HomeServe's service because of our aging infrastructure. I have 4 accounts for 4 houses covered in 3 different jurisdictions. Basically, my experience with the claim process has been good but the last one wasn’t. What happened was I had a leak and the plumber who came out misdiagnosed it. Initially, they came out and their first inclination was that it was a drain leak in the upstairs bathroom and it was gonna be a big deal. The first thing they said was, “We’d already cut the wall out to look.” Then they backtracked on that and said, “No. We just need to replace this pipe here.” So, it was gonna be more than they could deal with in the time frame that I had an expectation they would deal with it.

They would've eventually gotten it right, but I needed a faster turnaround than they were able to provide. I ended up hiring my own plumber and ended up with a huge job. I have pictures of how it was misdiagnosed and I imagine the original company would've figured this out. I need to go back and resubmit the claim but there’s a lot of paperwork. So, except for this last contractor who got a little bit beyond what they thought they were doing in their contract and it was basically to come out and address a leak, the contractors have been fine.

For simple things, if there really is no huge problem, then the HomeServe warranty is awesome. I’ve had that done a couple times. It’s certainly good for getting the drains cleared, and the turnaround’s real quick which is typically within 24 hours. But if there is a leak and walls have to be torn out and appliances have to be replaced, I don’t feel the service is able to respond in a manner that’s prompt enough for me because my properties are rentals and I have to respond to tenants. While HomeServe doesn’t provide 360 coverage for my plumbing, they are good for what it’s good for.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

Took my money and did not provide coverage. After contacting them about my sewer backing up, they informed me that my policy was canceled. Due to nonpayment. After reviewing my credit card charges, payment was made, And I even have a copy that they had received the payment. But they insisted that no payment was made and wanted to have me make another payment. Absolutely not worth the hassle to deal with them. I’m having my credit card company dispute the charges at this time and went ahead and hired a plumber to fix the problem.

HomeServe response

Hi Tila, We regret to hear you are displeased by your recent experience with us. We would like to get more information about this, my name is Josiah, and I will reach out to you shortly.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

Hot water tank broke. Called Homeserve and had a very pleasant and helpful person set up the repair. Repair company was at my house the next morning and replaced the tank. Done quickly and professionally. Excellent service from phone call to completion of the tank replacement.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

They use Drain Medic. This company has unscrupulous plumbers. They charge about double what other plumbers charge and they make the job more complicated to get even more money. This my third experience with them. Tell HomeServe you want and need to use your own plumber! But they make it hard on you to do that.

HomeServe response

Hi Nicholas, we regret to hear that you are displeased with your recent experience with us. Thank you for taking the time to speak with me today, and allowing me the opportunity to address your concerns. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

I pay HomeServe about $140 a year for coverage and when I go to get their support they tell me that they do not cover the pump in my septic system. Why do I need them? I am rethinking my need for their contract.

HomeServe response

Hi Cliff, we regret to hear that you are displeased with your recent experience with us. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know how we can improve. We hope you will consider us again in the future. Take care.

Josiah

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

Both plumbers were polite & professional. After 2 tries, our second plumber was able to fix the problem efficiently. He made very sure the drain was running clearly before he left, & cleaned up the area. We are very grateful for their expertise.

HomeServe Company Information