3.9/5 (350 ratings)

About HomeServe

HomeServe offers a variety of plans that cover electrical wiring, gas fuel lines, plumbing, cooling and heating systems. The company also offers combination plans if you want to mix and match. You can cancel within 30 days for a full refund, and covered repairs have a one-year guarantee.

Pros

• Individual system coverage available
  • One-year workmanship guarantee
  • Low-cost plans

Cons

• All plans not available in all areas
  • Can’t choose your own contractor

Bottom Line

HomeServe specializes in providing coverage for your home’s essential systems, including electrical, plumbing and heat and air. While not all plans are available everywhere, its systems coverage is thorough and affordable.

Top HomeServe Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I use HomeServe when I need them. ...they follow through well. They were able to do everything that I called them for. I asked about some other things like appliances and if they ...

Verified

I've been using HomeServe for a couple of years. I have annual tune-ups and the boiler was broken a couple of times and every time, HomeServe has been very quick in responding and...

HomeServe plans and coverage

HomeServe plans cover the core systems in your home. You can choose to protect individual or multiple plumbing, electrical, and heating and cooling systems.

• Plumbing plans: Get coverage for your interior plumbing and drainage system, exterior sewer and septic line or your exterior water service line that brings water to your home.
  • Electrical plans: Maintain exterior electrical equipment, interior wiring and electrical surge protection.
  • Heating and cooling plans: Protect your heating system, water heater and gas line.
  • Combo plans: Combine coverage from multiple plans to cover different kinds of systems in your home.

HomeServe Combo plans

To combine coverage of the plumbing, electrical and heating and cooling plans, HomeServe created combination plans. These include:

• Premium Home Protection Plan, which rolls plumbing, electrical and heating and cooling coverage into one plan. It covers the water service line, the sewer/septic line, the gas line, interior plumbing, electrical lines, your water heater and your HVAC system.
  • TotalHome Warranty Combo Plan, which covers eight major appliances and 10 major home systems, including ductwork, the central vacuum system, the interior electrical system, internal plumbing and the cooling system.
  • TotalHome Warranty Appliance Plan, which covers eight of the most used home appliances, such as built-in microwaves and dishwashers.

HomeServe price

HomeServe plans start at $7.99 per month. Total costs vary by plan and by location around the country, so you will need to specify your ZIP code to get the most accurate price.

We requested a quote for a home in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and got the following pricing information:

PlanMonthly cost*
Exterior water service line$7.99
Exterior sewer/septic line$12.98
Interior plumbing and drainage system$18.99
Interior electrical line$11.99
Heating system$12.99
Water heater repair and replacement$8.99

*Prices quoted for Tulsa, Oklahoma. Prices and plans may vary by location.

HomeServe claims

Getting systems serviced by HomeServe is a straightforward process, with representatives available 24/7 to take your call and dispatch a local, licensed technician to your home to make the needed repairs.

1. Submit a claim by calling HomeServe’s 24-hour hotline.
  2. HomeServe will send a licensed, local technician to your home.
  3. The technician handles covered repairs.

HomeServe has a one-year workmanship guarantee on all covered repairs, except for surge plan repairs, which include a 90-day warranty.

HomeServe FAQ

Does HomeServe require a home inspection?
No, HomeServe does not require a home inspection before you purchase a home warranty contract.
Can I pick my own service technician?
HomeServe chooses the technician. HomeServe works with a network of local, licensed and insured technicians. Repairs are guaranteed against defects in workmanship and materials for one year.
Is there a limit on repairs?
Yes, each contract has an annual benefit amount, which you can find in the fine print of your agreement. For example, HomeServe’s interior plumbing and draining system coverage in Tulsa, Oklahoma, has a $5,000 annual benefit, including a maximum of $2,500 per service call. Be sure to read over your contract carefully so you know HomeServe’s payout caps for your plan.
Do I have to pay a service call fee if a technician comes out more than once on the same repair?
No, there are generally no service call fees with HomeServe, and repairs are guaranteed for one year, so a technician will return at no charge if there is a problem.
Does HomeServe cover appliances?
HomeServe offers options for appliance coverage in some areas. Appliance coverage is not available in all areas.
What is a HomeServe USA repair plan?
A HomeServe USA repair plan covers various home systems and appliances, depending on where you live and which plan you select. Pay a monthly price for the plan and receive coverage for certain repairs when unexpected breakdowns occur.

Is HomeServe legit?

Yes, HomeServe is a legitimate company that serves more than 4 million homeowners in North America. It works with licensed and insured technicians and offers a one-year guarantee on all repairs. The company has a variety of coverage plans, including for appliances. Pricing and plan options vary by location.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeServe?

Original review: May 13, 2022

HomeServe’s services have been great. It's real easy to use. The guys that come out have been really helpful. HomeServe has been working out well. I'm glad I got it. Someone recently came out for the plumbing thing. I was notified by my water service provider that we had a leak. I didn't really know how to isolate it. So, I got in touch with HomeServe so they could come out and figure out where the leak was at. I was told that they didn't go inside to check, but they would check outside and let me know if they would see anything. When the tech looked at the meter, it wasn't continuously running. So, it didn't really show that it had a leak, but it's kind of an intermittent thing. He said, if that’s the case, it’s most likely something with the toilet leaking periodically. He explained how to check to see if my toilet flaps, and if they’re allowing water to seep through occasionally.

I watched the video on how to replace them. It does look like we do have leaks in our toilet. Now, I just had to figure out what kind of flaps I need to buy, and then try to replace them myself. The tech was pretty helpful. It would have been nice if he could have isolated it himself, but he explained how to put dye in it and then check it later, to see if the water with the dye flowed into the toilet bowl. I understand he can’t spend all day waiting for each toilet. So, it worked out. I was fine with how he explained it, and the solution for it, too. I was okay with doing that myself. Overall, HomeServe is great. The website is great. It shows all the different services they provide. I’m more of a visual person. So, it would be good if there was like a video.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

We signed up for the water heater program and I got charged like $4 a month. You could use it for 30 days. About 35 days after I signed up, the pilot light on the water heater went out, and it was a connecting service. So, that's the positive thing. I didn't have to pay for the service call. When the contractor did call that day, their system was down. So, they had to do everything by hand. I told them I live in Murrieta, and they automatically thought it's Marietta, Georgia instead of Murrieta, California. They did tell me that they contacted somebody in California or in my area, and then they said they would come the same day between 3:00 and 7:00. The guy showed up at 7:15 because we were the last one on the route, and there was traffic. He fixed the thing right away. It didn’t take him very long. He was very good. He knew what he was doing.

When I did the claim, I got disconnected several times with the HomeServe number I called. The numbers that are on the paper are worthless. I got a recording, I put in my street address, and it said it didn't match. Then I tried the other number that’s on the back, and I got a recording, I got transferred, and then I got disconnected. I tried it again, and I got transferred and got disconnected. So, those phone calls never went through. So, then I went on my email and I found the number and I got through. The person I spoke with gave me another number to call so, now, I have two numbers just in case I have to call again.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2022

I had a problem the latest time that I did a claim to HomeServe. It took four people before the problem got fixed. The sink was clogged, so they sent the guy out here. He started running the snake. He said, “I can’t run the snake. You need a jetter.” So, a piece was broken too. The second person came out and said, “I can’t jet it because he broke a piece. And now I have to order a piece.” I was like, “Well, okay.” The next day, he kept saying, “The piece wasn’t in. The piece wasn’t in.” Then, the third guy came out.

He said he was gonna cut my cabinet. I was like, “You’re gonna cut my wall? How big is it?” “Oh, it’s gonna be a small cut.” He proceeded to cut the wall all the way down. He stood there and said, “I’ve never seen a problem like this before.” Then he was like, “I can’t fix it.” And I said, “Why?” When he opened up the wall, he said, “Your pipe is leaning, and so I can't change the whole new pipe.” I said, “Well, that's fine. Would you just snake it?” He was like, “No. Can’t snake it either.” I said, “Would you jet it?” “Nope. Can’t do that either.” I said, “So, you’re gonna just leave it like this and put the piece on?” He said, “Yeah. ‘Cause you got plumbing damaged.” He called the home structure damaged. I said, “Let me tell you something. There is four pieces up there, and one of them is damaged, one 2 x 4. So, don't tell me that.” He was like, “I can’t do it.” And he left.

So, I called HomeServe and I said, “Don't send them back at my house ever again.” They sent the fourth guy out. His name was Richard. I love him to death. He came and just looked at it. He snaked the 25 feet out through my kitchen and the bathroom. It was fixed. Somebody called me from HomeServe and checked and made sure the fourth guy did it right. They made sure everything was right. So, I would recommend HomeServe because they did everything to fix the issue.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

A small tree fell on the power line coming into my house. AEP initially removed the tree to keep the wire out of danger. I called Home Serve because there was some damage to the weather head on my house. The Home Serve attendant on the phone was strange to talk to. She was silent for long periods of time making me wonder if she was still on the line. I would get a question from her, answer her, and had no acknowledgement that she had actually heard me. However, after 17 minutes on the phone with her, my appointment with the technician was completed.

Ben, the technician, arrived on time on November 18th and inspected the damage. He said he did not have the proper weather head with him on the truck because he was not aware that that was going to be the problem. (It sounded like a miscommunication of sorts because I had told the operator on the phone what the problem was). He also asked me to remove the remaining branches from the wire before he returned.

He said he would reschedule the repair for the following week. It turns out, they contacted me that night to schedule between 3pm and 5pm the following day. I said okay, and scrambled that morning to remove the branches from the wire that Ben had requested. Ben called and asked to arrive earlier than scheduled (around 2pm), and I said I was ready.

He arrived, turned off the electricity to my house for about 40 minutes while he made his repairs, fixed the weather head and the guiline on the roof, and was done. He did high quality, professional work and was courteous and pleasant. He did say that I had to put new "Black Jack" on the guiline and on the weather head flange going into the roof. I would have thought that that was part of the repair. However, still I am satisfied with the work he did.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

I'm a single mother, and I know that I can afford to pay HomeServe, but when a major catastrophe happens at my house, I don't have thousands of dollars to repair something on the spot. This is why I have complete peace of mind with HomeServe, that if something happens, my kids aren't going to be cold, we're gonna have heat and we're gonna have water. I've never had an issue. I call, the same day, they’re here. I've never gotten anything where they couldn't come for a day. I've had an issue where my heater wasn't working and they were here right away to get it started.

But I was not really happy with my recent claim experience. I was seconds away from canceling everything with Homeserve because of what they did to me. I have a sewer system and I had an issue over the weekend. They told me that I was covered. They sent a plumber to my house and he said, “You don't have an issue inside, you have an issue outside. You’re not covered.” I said that was impossible. I would never not take additional coverage for the outside of my house. I have it for everything else. He said, “They're telling me that you're not covered.”

I called HomeServe back. I said it was impossible. The rep said, “No, you opted out of it.” I said, “No, I would never opt out of anything. Just like the phone calls are recorded, every time you guys call me, you tell me the phone call is recorded. Well then pull up the recording of when I took out the policy because I'm telling you that I'm covered.” She said, “No ma'am. We can't do that. You're not covered.” So I had to pay the plumber $350. But then he returned to my house 20 minutes later to tell me that he got a phone call from HomeServe that we actually were covered. They had to refund us the money. Everything is working fine now.

Original review: June 20, 2022

After repeated telephone calls, Home Serve rejected coverage, and would not explain why. The coverage is extended through utility companies. I repeatedly gave information on my account listed with the utility companies, and Home Serve said the coverage would be extended. But each time, after several weeks, I received many notices through the mail saying the coverage would not be issued - without giving any explanation. I explained to representatives about the problem, was told it would be corrected, and again I received several notices through the mail that the insurance coverage could not be extended. No explanation.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 17, 2022

Hi my name is Sam. I live in Damascus Oregon. I have had Home Serve for many years. So I had a leak back in 2016. They came and fixed it. I’ve been paying insurance for many years. So in 2022 it leaked from the same exact place again and I tried to do a claim. We had Apollo plumbing come out and give us a bid and they told us that the waterline would need to be replaced. Once home serve heard about that they were coming up with all sorts of excuses not to pay. They will pay for a small things but when it comes to a major repair they will not pay. They were trying to tell me that my waterline is in my neighbor's property but that line is part of my easement.

Be very careful with this company. I’m going to be in the process of filing a lawsuit against this company. Meghan ** in upper management was disrespectful and did not want to pick up my calls and to mention again in 2016 they fixed a water leak in the same exact spot that I’m trying to get it fixed now and they’re telling me that it was not covered under my insurance but they gladly took money all these years so be very careful with this company. They try to come on here and answer questions and make themselves look good but they are a big scam. Be very, very careful I paid thousands of dollars into this insurance and now when it comes to pay they will not pay. Remember they will only pay very small insurance claims. Again be very very careful

Sam

HomeServe response

Good Afternoon, Your complaint has been assigned to a case manager that will reach out to you.

Original review: June 15, 2022

We had blockage in our sewer and right away, the rep called the company that they deal with and made an appointment. Then they sent me a text and were very fast to come.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 10, 2022

Very poor and even rude customer service. The unlicensed plumber dispatched by the company caused serious damage to our building by flooding the bathroom and then claimed that the original service request was not covered. I am contemplating legal actions against the company now.

HomeServe response

Good Afternoon, I am sorry to hear of your experience. I have sent a private email if you could review and responds.

Resolution response: June 18, 2022

HomeServe reached out to me and made sure I received the paperwork necessary. I feel they went to great lengths to make sure I felt satisfied. I appreciate the care on their part.

Original review: June 10, 2022

My toilet failed while I was out of town, water company turned water off. It took two calls to get HomeServe plumber. He was adequate, replaced the valve. Said I had to pay for broken water intake inside tank, I declined. Did it myself. Have requested a receipt twice, still not received.

HomeServe response

Good Morning, Your complaint has been assigned to a case manager and is being reviewed at this time.

HomeServe Company Information