2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.94/5

HomeServe offers a variety of plans that cover electrical wiring, gas fuel lines, plumbing, cooling and heating systems. Depending upon where you live, costs for HomeServe plans have an average starting price of $5.49 a month. Combination plans are also available if you want to mix and match. You can cancel within 30 days for a full refund. Call customer service 24/7. There are no deductibles, and covered repairs have a one-year guarantee.

HomeServe Gallery (1)
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

HomeServe specializes in providing coverage for your home’s essential systems, including electrical, plumbing and heat and air. While the company doesn’t offer appliance coverage, its systems coverage is thorough and affordable.

PROS

• Individual system coverage available
  • One-year workmanship guarantee
  • Low-cost plans

CONS

• No appliance coverage available

Top HomeServe Reviews

When I called in for service, I was helped right away. I was contacted the day by the plumbing company, and they came out the day after and cleared my drain. Angel was polite, helpful, and very tidy. Fantastic service and I am glad I have it.

Repairman came the same day we called. He was very efficient and thorough. He checked our hot water heater which is outside. Then he came inside to make sure we had hot water in the kitchen and all bathrooms. We would highly recommend your company.

HomeServe plans and coverage

HomeServe plans are available to cover the core systems in your home. You can choose to protect individual systems or multiple systems with a combination plan for total protection:

• Plumbing plans: Get coverage for your interior plumbing and drainage system, exterior sewer or water service lines that connect the home to the municipal or utility provider.
  • Electrical plans: Maintain exterior electrical equipment, interior wiring and electrical surge protection.
  • Heating and cooling plans: Protect your cooling system, heating, gas fuel line and water heater.
  • Combo plans: Roll all plumbing, electrical or heating and cooling coverage options into one plan, or combine all three under the Interior Protection Plan or Premium Home Protection Plan.

Under the most comprehensive combo plan, the following items are covered:

• Exterior water service line
  • Water heater
  • Heating system
  • Cooling system

HomeServe cost

HomeServe plans start at an average of $5.49 a month. Because HomeServe offers so many individual coverage or combination plans, total costs vary by plan and by location around the country.

We requested a quote for a home in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and got the following pricing information:

PlanMonthly cost
Heating system coverage$10.99
Water heater repair and replacement plan$7.99
Electrical surge $1,000 coverage$3.99
Electrical surge $3,000 coverage$5.99
Prices quoted for Tulsa, Oklahoma, less applicable sales tax. Prices may vary by location. Visit HomeServe’s website and enter your zip code to receive pricing for your location.

HomeServe claims

Getting systems serviced by HomeServe is a straightforward process, with representatives available 24/7, including holidays, to take your call and dispatch a technician to your home to make the needed repairs.

1. Submit a repair claim by calling HomeServe’s 24-hour hotline.
  2. HomeServe will send a licensed and fully vetted local technician to your home.
  3. The technician handles covered repairs.

HomeServe has a one-year workmanship guarantee on all covered repairs.

HomeServe FAQ

Does HomeServe require a home inspection?
No. HomeServe does not require a home inspection before beginning a home warranty contract.
Can I pick my own service technician?
HomeServe will provide the technician. HomeServe works with a network of local, licensed and insured technicians. Working with its technicians affords policyholders a workmanship guarantee.
Is there a limit on repairs?
Depending upon the chosen contract, there may be repair or dollar limits during the annual contract period. For example, HomeServe advertises that homeowners can receive up to $2,500/year per covered system, or up to a $10,000 maximum annual benefit for repairs. Your contract will have these details and is available on the HomeServe website.
Do I have to pay a service call fee if a technician comes out more than once on the same repair?
There are no service fees, and since covered repairs are guaranteed, there are no service fees for a technician to re-attend.

Is HomeServe worth it?

We recommend home warranties for people living in older homes who are not confident repairing items themselves or who don’t have a large savings fund for household systems emergencies. Getting coverage on higher-risk, higher-cost repair items is a good investment in securing the functionality of your home. We recommend HomeServe for its specialized coverage, its relatively low contract costs and its many plan options.

HomeServe Reviews

Original review: March 5, 2020

It's been years since I joined HomeServe. I got something in the mail. I've been with them for maybe about 10 years. Submitting a claim this time was great. The guy who came out was courteous and he fixed it efficiently. I've had two claims that were handled really well. They were small but the last two guys really did a good job. One of them was a leak behind the sink and one of them was with supply line problems, a leak going into the sink. Their contractors were courteous. When they ran into problems, they didn't try to put it off 'til another day. This last guy went right down and bought a part at Home Depot. And then my meter in the street wouldn't shut off so he advised me to get that fixed. As soon as they fixed it, they actually got out that day. I called back and he was out here and fixed it that same day. I was really impressed with that.

I had a big problem about five years ago though, and I’m still not satisfied with that. The first time the guy from Plumb Genius came, I had a leak in the drain under the house. There was water standing under the house. They came out but didn't have a sump pump and I didn't have one either. They told me it was my responsibility to pump the water out from under the house. I did that but I thought that was BS. They came back out and they said they found possum tracks under my house, so they refuse to go under the house until I capture the possum. I've never captured a wild animal before in my life but I have a grandson who loaned me a live trapper but all I caught was a really irate squirrel.

Three weeks later, they had finally agreed to come out and risk their lives and go under the house where there might be a possum. By that time, the problem had grown exponentially. Before that, there wasn’t feces in the water but after that, there was. It was my responsibility to pump it out. The guy that HomeServe used to contract said the company insisted they buy their own equipment, for one thing. They didn't provide them with a sump pump. This guy fixed it and it cost HomeServe $3,000. I had a guy that probably could have fixed it for a lot less than that and done a good job, and fixed it as soon as the problem arose.

But now, even with these many years later, I don't leave the vent grilles open and the fan. There's this stench that comes up from under the house. I guess that'll be there until I die and this house is passed on to somebody else. I feel sorry for that person, but there's nothing I can do about it.

After the initial deal, I didn't realize that there would be a problem like this. Once the leak was stopped and it dried up, there's always this problem. I will never use Plumb Genius locally either because they were just inept. The two guys that actually fixed it, they were good. Initially, if they had come out and fixed it, they had the equipment and they wouldn't have been afraid of the possum, it would have been fixed while it was just water from the washer or something like that.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 2, 2020

I’m very grateful that I did get the flyer of HomeServe ‘cause they helped me out a whole lot. Sometimes, I forget I have it, and I pay people to come in and fix what messed up. So, I just decided to organize everything so that if I need them and it’s an emergency, I can call them. They helped fixed issues with the outside plumbing. I also had an issue with my hot water heater a month ago. I didn’t call Homeserve ‘cause I forgot I had them. I called a person to come out that works on my house, and he fixed it. As soon as he fixed it, I found the paper. I called Homeserve to ask them if they could reimburse, they said no.

But it’s not difficult to submit a claim to HomeServe. They only have two plumbers though. So, that was something different for me. When I asked the person who answered the phone, the customer service said they only had two plumbers that they dealt with. And one of the plumbers that he gave me the phone number of wanted to wait a week later to come. And a sewer had backed up at my home, and I couldn’t wait a week. So, they gave me a number of the other one, Hers & His Plumbing, and they came right on out. HomeServe should get some more plumbers to come out. And if I pay someone to repair something, maybe HomeServe can reimburse us back since we have the warranty. That’s the only thing I see wrong. Other than that, I like it.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

The City of Baltimore recommended HomeServe's service because of our aging infrastructure. I have 4 accounts for 4 houses covered in 3 different jurisdictions. Basically, my experience with the claim process has been good but the last one wasn’t. What happened was I had a leak and the plumber who came out misdiagnosed it. Initially, they came out and their first inclination was that it was a drain leak in the upstairs bathroom and it was gonna be a big deal. The first thing they said was, “We’d already cut the wall out to look.” Then they backtracked on that and said, “No. We just need to replace this pipe here.” So, it was gonna be more than they could deal with in the time frame that I had an expectation they would deal with it.

They would've eventually gotten it right, but I needed a faster turnaround than they were able to provide. I ended up hiring my own plumber and ended up with a huge job. I have pictures of how it was misdiagnosed and I imagine the original company would've figured this out. I need to go back and resubmit the claim but there’s a lot of paperwork. So, except for this last contractor who got a little bit beyond what they thought they were doing in their contract and it was basically to come out and address a leak, the contractors have been fine.

For simple things, if there really is no huge problem, then the HomeServe warranty is awesome. I’ve had that done a couple times. It’s certainly good for getting the drains cleared, and the turnaround’s real quick which is typically within 24 hours. But if there is a leak and walls have to be torn out and appliances have to be replaced, I don’t feel the service is able to respond in a manner that’s prompt enough for me because my properties are rentals and I have to respond to tenants. While HomeServe doesn’t provide 360 coverage for my plumbing, they are good for what it’s good for.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

Water was bubbling up in our yard approx 4-6’ off meter. Not sure how long had been going on we had rain Saturday and didn’t notice it. Denny shut off water at meter and at our shutoff in our home. Nothing else he could do. We call the number from our Dominion Power where we carry water line insurance. This is where we ran into issues. No return calls for anything from anyone. Communication was horrible from the number we called to get process going. We called 4 times & told someone from HomeServe would call us. No calls until 10:00 pm Sunday night. Telling us it could be few days to get estimate and 1-2 weeks to get water on. Crazy!

Next morning I received call from one of HomeServe guys apologizing but he received the call approx 11:00 pm. Too late for him to call us but he did early Monday morning. Had a guy ready to come by to look at it. We knew what was wrong and made it easier for him to get job done. He waited for Miss Utility to come out before he started. Once done he spoke with Denny to let him know and we are very happy with Homeserve. Thank you!

HomeServe response

Debra & Denny Fortney, We appreciate you giving us the chance to improve by providing us with this feedback. Thank you for your positive review. We are always more than happy to assist you if anything else comes up. Take care!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

Coe Electric, Dan Coe Owner- was dispatched to my residence after a tornado came through South Charleston, WV. Causing significant damage to our power lines & our aeration system because the power pole fell on top of it. My power pole was broken, all the lines were laying down & aeration system smashed. When they arrived they were quick to assess the damage and get started on the job. It started to pour down rain on these guys and they still worked through it. They put up a brand new power pole & installed the service on our Mobile Home instead of another wood pole in the yard. They ran a new wire electrical line under our MH & grounded it to make sure it was up to code and did this all in the same day. The job was almost completed in the same day but due to the inspector not coming out that night we didn't get power until the next day.

The next day Coe Electric came back out and fixed our aeration system, it had to be re-wired. All this was done with great efficiency & great customer service! I didn't have to pay anything, it was all covered under my exterior line coverage through HomeServe! It is definitely worth the money!! I was definitely impressed with Coe Electric and will defintiely call them if needed in the future!! I'd highly recommend Coe Electric!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeServe?

Original review: March 27, 2020

Clogged shower drain. The technician who represented United Plumbing was thorough, knowledgeable, and courteous. He's a good representative for your company. He was moments earlier than the scheduled appointed time, **. He even apologized for his promptness. He explained the problem and how he would resolve it.

Original review: March 27, 2020

My furnace wouldn’t remain on. The repairman (Sam??) was knowledgeable and corrected problem efficiently. He waited for awhile to make sure the furnace stayed on. He tell me if any further problems to please call. I called around 7 pm and I appreciated the quick response to send repairman.

Original review: March 27, 2020

I am very satisfied with the service provided by your technician. He was very able and experienced. He identified the problem quickly and explained the problem in detail and what he needed to do to resolve the problem. The technician fixed the problem and followed up with me to ensure it was resolved. Home Serve you have a great team of professional workers. Thank you for assuring me that when an issue arrives that I can depend on your team to fix it.

Original review: March 26, 2020

Electrician took pictures and inspected the electrical box, he says it’s a fire hazard now. He will have to submit his report and recommendation for replacement of the electrical box. He was very knowledgeable courteous and professional. Should be hearing soon.

Original review: March 26, 2020

Had water backing up in my basement @ 10 pm on a Friday night. Called HomeServe. They called a service that couldn’t come out for a week... couldn’t wait. Called hs back and they had someone out next morning! Great service. Friendly service representatives. Plumbers were very pleasant and fast! Thank you home serve!!??

HomeServe Company Information