3.9/5 (344 ratings)

About HomeServe

HomeServe offers a variety of plans that cover electrical wiring, gas fuel lines, plumbing, cooling and heating systems. The company also offers combination plans if you want to mix and match. You can cancel within 30 days for a full refund, and covered repairs have a one-year guarantee.

Pros

• Individual system coverage available
  • One-year workmanship guarantee
  • Low-cost plans

Cons

• All plans not available in all areas
  • Can’t choose your own contractor

Bottom Line

HomeServe specializes in providing coverage for your home’s essential systems, including electrical, plumbing and heat and air. While not all plans are available everywhere, its systems coverage is thorough and affordable.

Top HomeServe Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I use HomeServe when I need them. ...they follow through well. They were able to do everything that I called them for. I asked about some other things like appliances and if they ...

Verified

I've been using HomeServe for a couple of years. I have annual tune-ups and the boiler was broken a couple of times and every time, HomeServe has been very quick in responding and...

HomeServe plans and coverage

HomeServe plans cover the core systems in your home. You can choose to protect individual or multiple plumbing, electrical, and heating and cooling systems.

• Plumbing plans: Get coverage for your interior plumbing and drainage system, exterior sewer and septic line or your exterior water service line that brings water to your home.
  • Electrical plans: Maintain exterior electrical equipment, interior wiring and electrical surge protection.
  • Heating and cooling plans: Protect your heating system, water heater and gas line.
  • Combo plans: Combine coverage from multiple plans to cover different kinds of systems in your home.

HomeServe Combo plans

To combine coverage of the plumbing, electrical and heating and cooling plans, HomeServe created combination plans. These include:

• Premium Home Protection Plan, which rolls plumbing, electrical and heating and cooling coverage into one plan. It covers the water service line, the sewer/septic line, the gas line, interior plumbing, electrical lines, your water heater and your HVAC system.
  • TotalHome Warranty Combo Plan, which covers eight major appliances and 10 major home systems, including ductwork, the central vacuum system, the interior electrical system, internal plumbing and the cooling system.
  • TotalHome Warranty Appliance Plan, which covers eight of the most used home appliances, such as built-in microwaves and dishwashers.

HomeServe price

HomeServe plans start at $7.99 per month. Total costs vary by plan and by location around the country, so you will need to specify your ZIP code to get the most accurate price.

We requested a quote for a home in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and got the following pricing information:

PlanMonthly cost*
Exterior water service line$7.99
Exterior sewer/septic line$12.98
Interior plumbing and drainage system$18.99
Interior electrical line$11.99
Heating system$12.99
Water heater repair and replacement$8.99

*Prices quoted for Tulsa, Oklahoma. Prices and plans may vary by location.

HomeServe claims

Getting systems serviced by HomeServe is a straightforward process, with representatives available 24/7 to take your call and dispatch a local, licensed technician to your home to make the needed repairs.

1. Submit a claim by calling HomeServe’s 24-hour hotline.
  2. HomeServe will send a licensed, local technician to your home.
  3. The technician handles covered repairs.

HomeServe has a one-year workmanship guarantee on all covered repairs, except for surge plan repairs, which include a 90-day warranty.

HomeServe FAQ

Does HomeServe require a home inspection?
No, HomeServe does not require a home inspection before you purchase a home warranty contract.
Can I pick my own service technician?
HomeServe chooses the technician. HomeServe works with a network of local, licensed and insured technicians. Repairs are guaranteed against defects in workmanship and materials for one year.
Is there a limit on repairs?
Yes, each contract has an annual benefit amount, which you can find in the fine print of your agreement. For example, HomeServe’s interior plumbing and draining system coverage in Tulsa, Oklahoma, has a $5,000 annual benefit, including a maximum of $2,500 per service call. Be sure to read over your contract carefully so you know HomeServe’s payout caps for your plan.
Do I have to pay a service call fee if a technician comes out more than once on the same repair?
No, there are generally no service call fees with HomeServe, and repairs are guaranteed for one year, so a technician will return at no charge if there is a problem.
Does HomeServe cover appliances?
HomeServe offers options for appliance coverage in some areas. Appliance coverage is not available in all areas.
What is a HomeServe USA repair plan?
A HomeServe USA repair plan covers various home systems and appliances, depending on where you live and which plan you select. Pay a monthly price for the plan and receive coverage for certain repairs when unexpected breakdowns occur.

Is HomeServe legit?

Yes, HomeServe is a legitimate company that serves more than 4 million homeowners in North America. It works with licensed and insured technicians and offers a one-year guarantee on all repairs. The company has a variety of coverage plans, including for appliances. Pricing and plan options vary by location.

HomeServe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeServe?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2022

I had a problem the latest time that I did a claim to HomeServe. It took four people before the problem got fixed. The sink was clogged, so they sent the guy out here. He started running the snake. He said, “I can’t run the snake. You need a jetter.” So, a piece was broken too. The second person came out and said, “I can’t jet it because he broke a piece. And now I have to order a piece.” I was like, “Well, okay.” The next day, he kept saying, “The piece wasn’t in. The piece wasn’t in.” Then, the third guy came out.

He said he was gonna cut my cabinet. I was like, “You’re gonna cut my wall? How big is it?” “Oh, it’s gonna be a small cut.” He proceeded to cut the wall all the way down. He stood there and said, “I’ve never seen a problem like this before.” Then he was like, “I can’t fix it.” And I said, “Why?” When he opened up the wall, he said, “Your pipe is leaning, and so I can't change the whole new pipe.” I said, “Well, that's fine. Would you just snake it?” He was like, “No. Can’t snake it either.” I said, “Would you jet it?” “Nope. Can’t do that either.” I said, “So, you’re gonna just leave it like this and put the piece on?” He said, “Yeah. ‘Cause you got plumbing damaged.” He called the home structure damaged. I said, “Let me tell you something. There is four pieces up there, and one of them is damaged, one 2 x 4. So, don't tell me that.” He was like, “I can’t do it.” And he left.

So, I called HomeServe and I said, “Don't send them back at my house ever again.” They sent the fourth guy out. His name was Richard. I love him to death. He came and just looked at it. He snaked the 25 feet out through my kitchen and the bathroom. It was fixed. Somebody called me from HomeServe and checked and made sure the fourth guy did it right. They made sure everything was right. So, I would recommend HomeServe because they did everything to fix the issue.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

I'm a single mother, and I know that I can afford to pay HomeServe, but when a major catastrophe happens at my house, I don't have thousands of dollars to repair something on the spot. This is why I have complete peace of mind with HomeServe, that if something happens, my kids aren't going to be cold, we're gonna have heat and we're gonna have water. I've never had an issue. I call, the same day, they’re here. I've never gotten anything where they couldn't come for a day. I've had an issue where my heater wasn't working and they were here right away to get it started.

But I was not really happy with my recent claim experience. I was seconds away from canceling everything with Homeserve because of what they did to me. I have a sewer system and I had an issue over the weekend. They told me that I was covered. They sent a plumber to my house and he said, “You don't have an issue inside, you have an issue outside. You’re not covered.” I said that was impossible. I would never not take additional coverage for the outside of my house. I have it for everything else. He said, “They're telling me that you're not covered.”

I called HomeServe back. I said it was impossible. The rep said, “No, you opted out of it.” I said, “No, I would never opt out of anything. Just like the phone calls are recorded, every time you guys call me, you tell me the phone call is recorded. Well then pull up the recording of when I took out the policy because I'm telling you that I'm covered.” She said, “No ma'am. We can't do that. You're not covered.” So I had to pay the plumber $350. But then he returned to my house 20 minutes later to tell me that he got a phone call from HomeServe that we actually were covered. They had to refund us the money. Everything is working fine now.

Original review: March 7, 2021

A friend said that they had HomeServe and they'd had really good luck with it. So I went ahead and called and got one policy started. I've had it for quite a while. I had a backup in my sewer when I was on vacation. The kids were staying here and there was a terrible backup. We wound up having to redo the whole downstairs and it was a mess. Luckily, my household insurance covered most of it.

The recent service request I had still was one of the drains. It was the main drain that had backed up and I caught it before it got too bad down the basement. It just had a little pool of water and lots of toilet paper and ick. Over the last six years, they have had to clear the drain many times and they can't ever find anything that will be stopping it. When the drain was cleared the time before, the plumber mentioned that if this would continue, I should probably have someone come in with a scope and check it out and see where exactly the problem was because it kept happening all the time.

Other than having grandkids or family over every once in a while, it's just me here in the house. So the amount of toilet paper or whatever that would stop it up, I don't know how that's happening. We went to Northern. That was what the plumber told me as one of the better toilet paper to use to have something soft. We don't use any tampons and we also don't use any of those wipes that you use for a baby to throw in there.

This is an old home and it has had a lot of renovations over the years. The other problem I've had over the years is that I've sprung leaks on my water lines three times downstairs. The plumbers had to either patch or replace some of the water lines. Luckily, the last one was covered by the policy I have with HomeServe. I got the sewer inside, sewer outside, and the water lines covered. The first two times it happened, I didn't have that and they told me that eventually, because of the age of the home and the condition of the pipes that I would probably have to have all of those replaced at one time. But other than these things that I've encountered, I've been very thrilled with all the service that HomeServe has covered for me.

Original review: March 1, 2021

I first heard about HomeServe through some people that I know that have tried them. I usually call and they’ve been responsive anytime I've called for any questions. We had no heat on Sunday, and they scheduled an appointment for Monday. That was what I expected. If I have no heat, and I signed up for service, that somebody would come out quickly, and that was absolutely what happened. So, I'm satisfied.

The guy that came yesterday for the heating thing said that one of the parts that was leaking, even though that it's part of the heating system, because we have the plumbing plan, that I should call back and have a plumber come look at that. Having no heat and then having heat was my first priority. But I just found that a bit strange that he wouldn't communicate that information to HomeServe directly, that the job was more than half done because he restored the heat. However, there is a part that is leaking in the heating system that he said he doesn't readily have parts for, but the plumbing people would. That was a little disconnect. Why would I get that information more so than Homeserve so they could finish the job? Because I don't expect that if something's leaking, that it's gonna not leak at some other time.

He's the technician, he sees that something is leaking, he knows it’s temporarily stopped, but that doesn't mean it's not going to happen again. It has never happened before. So I just thought that was just weird, that I was expected to follow up with that, versus him saying, “All right, I fixed this part. But this part is not something I have in my car, so I'll have the plumbing people come and fix this for you, or schedule an appointment.”

Other than that, he was very professional, nice and thorough, because I had a question for him as well. Also, my heating is working. It's not heating up to what I'm setting the thermostat to, which is a little concerning because I haven't had that happen before. But it's 24 hours post the technician coming to my house, and I had no heat at all Sunday. I'm going to give it another 24 hours and see what happens. I'm happy that the people who recommended HomeServe did recommend them. And so far, so good.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

HomeServe works very well. I am Bernice's POA and she was concerned about the call of having to dig outside in the street into the house. The piping was very expensive so she didn’t want that to happen. I submitted a request to Home Serve for service and it did well. The contractor for the plumbing and draining issue was wonderful and the service was great. They even came early. They called me, wanting to see whether it was okay to come because they were outside my door. They had finished up a job and I liked that they didn't waste on using the window of time they had given me to come. They got to me and we got done fast, and everybody went on with what they were doing.

I use HomeServe when I need them. They’ve come through and they follow through well. They were able to do everything that I called them for. I asked about some other things like appliances and if they expanded their services. That’s all I do and they say yes or no. If it’s something I need, I get it. I’ve got confidence in Home Serve and they have not been a letdown. I've called several times. I had a pipe that burst in the basement that went out to the street. We didn't know it was bad because they came and fixed the first part and then we realized that it didn't solve the problem. The problem was the pipe that went into the walls to the outside. They came back and fixed that. We also had someone come in and fix the toilet, and then the cables on the second floor about a month ago.

I've recommended HomeServe because a young lady friend of mine had a problem with her sewer’s line from the street to the house. I told her to get that coverage way before the problem came up and she procrastinated. Then, the problem came. She asked what the insurance was that I was telling her about. But by the time she told me, she had already hired another company to come in to take care of that. She spent a whole lot of money because she didn't have it covered.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

Sep 2020, sewage backed up. 2 rooms flooded. Critical situation. It took them 3 days to send someone who just checked outside lines and gave an all clear. 1 week of staying out with family and over $500 in cleaning and repair. Jan 1, 2022, same exact issue. House flooded with sewage. 3rd day still waiting.

HomeServe response

We are sorry to hear about your experience. This has been passed on to management, and someone will be in touch with you very soon.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

Work was not done like contract stated. Clean out pipe is still not cut down. Sticks up 6 to 8 inches above ground. Still needs fill dirt. They said they did not remove any dirt so no dirt will be put back. Work area still needs to be racked again. No yard restoration completed. Very disappointed in work done. Work done on 11-18-21 and still not finished.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

Some areas of inside pipes were broken. Water was running dripping at a consistent flow or rate, at the hallway and the adjoining bedroom. The water leakage ran almost the entire width of the bedroom. Plastic tubs of water had to be emptied about every 30 minutes, over about a 32 hour period.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

They came in to do a maintenance repair that was not immediately necessary. They turned a working unit into a broken one. They left everything unassembled so that the next company could not make an evaluation for repair. in short, "I was told they sabotaged my system to force me to use them." The best part is that they left us without heat and no "call-backs".

HomeServe response

We are sorry to hear about your experience. We will have a manager touch base with you in regards to this complaint.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

Before I post a rating, I want to see how my issue is resolved. Let me give you a timeline. 1) Back in March of 2021 I was offered a deal, Complete Plumbing Plan, which I signed up for. 2) On 11/10/2021 or there about of this year I noticed that our water heater was leaking water. 3) I called your Service Dept and spoke to one of your agents who said they would send a person out which was Total Plumbing. I included a copy of the contract I had signed up for, see attached Doc Home Serve Coverage.

4) The Service person came out and said the unit could not be repaired but would need to be replaced but they could not do it for a week. 5) I contacted the same person at Home Serve and told them what Total Plumbing said and asked if I could use our plumber to do the work immediately. She said that would be alright and I should submit the bill to Home Serve. I did that and included pictures of the before and after with the bill for the job. 6) I then received 2 copies of contracts for Water Heater and Plumbing which were NOT what I had contracted with you, copies included. 7) At this point I was told that NO payment would be made to resolve the problem with the Water Heater. 8) I sent a copy of the original contract that I signed up for and was told that it was not valid and no payment would be made.

9) Water Heater Repair And Replacement. What’s Covered: We will arrange and pay for the repair or replacement due to normal wear and tear of Your

electric, natural gas, or propane water heater (“Water Heater”) for which You have sole responsibility, that supports Your Residence. You must call HomeServe to arrange for service in order for repairs to be covered. See “How to Call for Repairs” Which is what I did. 11) I then contacted your representative again to try to resolve these issues but to no effect. Before I move forward, I would like to give you an opportunity to resolve this issue. PS I am not able to upload the PDI's that I referred to so please let me know how to do this.

HomeServe Company Information