2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.11/5

HomeServe offers a variety of plans that cover electrical wiring, gas fuel lines, plumbing, cooling and heating systems. Depending upon where you live, costs for HomeServe plans have an average starting price of $5.49 a month. Combination plans are also available if you want to mix and match. You can cancel within 30 days for a full refund. Call customer service 24/7. There are no deductibles, and covered repairs have a one-year guarantee.

HomeServe Gallery (1)

BOTTOM LINE

HomeServe specializes in providing coverage for your home’s essential systems, including electrical, plumbing and heat and air. While the company doesn’t offer appliance coverage, its systems coverage is thorough and affordable.

PROS

• Individual system coverage available
  • One-year workmanship guarantee
  • Low-cost plans

CONS

• No appliance coverage available

Top HomeServe Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeServe?

When I called in for service, I was helped right away. I was contacted the day by the plumbing company, and they came out the day after and cleared my drain. Angel was polite, helpful, and very tidy. Fantastic service and I am glad I have it.

Repairman came the same day we called. He was very efficient and thorough. He checked our hot water heater which is outside. Then he came inside to make sure we had hot water in the kitchen and all bathrooms. We would highly recommend your company.

HomeServe plans and coverage

HomeServe plans are available to cover the core systems in your home. You can choose to protect individual systems or multiple systems with a combination plan for total protection:

• Plumbing plans: Get coverage for your interior plumbing and drainage system, exterior sewer or water service lines that connect the home to the municipal or utility provider.
  • Electrical plans: Maintain exterior electrical equipment, interior wiring and electrical surge protection.
  • Heating and cooling plans: Protect your cooling system, heating, gas fuel line and water heater.
  • Combo plans: Roll all plumbing, electrical or heating and cooling coverage options into one plan, or combine all three under the Interior Protection Plan or Premium Home Protection Plan.

Under the most comprehensive combo plan, the following items are covered:

• Exterior water service line
  • Water heater
  • Heating system
  • Cooling system

HomeServe cost

HomeServe plans start at an average of $5.49 a month. Because HomeServe offers so many individual coverage or combination plans, total costs vary by plan and by location around the country.

We requested a quote for a home in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and got the following pricing information:

PlanMonthly cost
Heating system coverage$10.99
Water heater repair and replacement plan$7.99
Electrical surge $1,000 coverage$3.99
Electrical surge $3,000 coverage$5.99
Prices quoted for Tulsa, Oklahoma, less applicable sales tax. Prices may vary by location. Visit HomeServe’s website and enter your zip code to receive pricing for your location.

HomeServe claims

Getting systems serviced by HomeServe is a straightforward process, with representatives available 24/7, including holidays, to take your call and dispatch a technician to your home to make the needed repairs.

1. Submit a repair claim by calling HomeServe’s 24-hour hotline.
  2. HomeServe will send a licensed and fully vetted local technician to your home.
  3. The technician handles covered repairs.

HomeServe has a one-year workmanship guarantee on all covered repairs.

HomeServe FAQ

Does HomeServe require a home inspection?
No. HomeServe does not require a home inspection before beginning a home warranty contract.
Can I pick my own service technician?
HomeServe will provide the technician. HomeServe works with a network of local, licensed and insured technicians. Working with its technicians affords policyholders a workmanship guarantee.
Is there a limit on repairs?
Depending upon the chosen contract, there may be repair or dollar limits during the annual contract period. For example, HomeServe advertises that homeowners can receive up to $2,500/year per covered system, or up to a $10,000 maximum annual benefit for repairs. Your contract will have these details and is available on the HomeServe website.
Do I have to pay a service call fee if a technician comes out more than once on the same repair?
There are no service fees, and since covered repairs are guaranteed, there are no service fees for a technician to re-attend.

Is HomeServe worth it?

We recommend home warranties for people living in older homes who are not confident repairing items themselves or who don’t have a large savings fund for household systems emergencies. Getting coverage on higher-risk, higher-cost repair items is a good investment in securing the functionality of your home. We recommend HomeServe for its specialized coverage, its relatively low contract costs and its many plan options.

HomeServe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeServe?

Original review: May 14, 2020

I submitted a total of three claims. One was for a dryer, but that never really got resolved. I submitted one for my refrigerator and there was a lot of issues with that. But eventually, they said that they were going to take care of it and reimburse us, so that's supposed to be working out pretty good. The third one was for a water heater and they came out and fixed that really fast. The contractor was professional. So overall, Homeserve has been good. It's just that the claim for our refrigerator took over almost two months because we were given misinformation. But somebody got involved and managed to take care of it for us.

When we call Homeserve, nobody seems to know anybody and I always have to keep on explaining my case over and over. There were times when they said they were gonna follow up with us and they never did. At one point, we were waiting to speak to an agent and the agent said that they were busy and then we kinda heard them in the background kinda laughing. So it almost seemed like I started to lose trust in the company, thinking that it was a scam.

When we call someone, we expect to be able to speak to them and never wanna give out their last name. I was trying to write down who I speaking to because it was a big issue but they never wanna give their last names, and I kinda felt like they were hiding stuff and they were giving me a big runaround. But eventually, somebody from the advocacy department got involved and everything is supposed to be resolved and we are supposed to be getting reimbursed here soon. So we're waiting to see how that's gonna go.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 10, 2020

I needed to get the gates painted outside in the front. I was just browsing because I needed something a little better than a barbwire. I was searching who does it. It’s kinda hard to get people to do anything right now. HomeServe popped up so I wanted to a quote. I used their app. I gave them the address and my name then somebody called me. Someone came out, gave me a price then I had another price. I just went with the better price. The contractor was very helpful and neat. They did a good job and it was fine. I have no complaints. But I’m sorry that they went out of business. The guy left me his card with the receipt and everything. I need to have the gates painted again, but now, that contractor is disconnected.

I also need a doorframe replaced as it's getting rotten. It has a metal frame around it. The frame has to come off and the wood has to be replaced then the frame has to be put back on. I had someone to come and he said that he would do it, but that was a year and a half ago and he hasn’t called me back. I might have to call him. I can’t get anybody to do anything. I don’t mind going on the internet and looking for stuff. But I really don’t like to do all that stuff on the internet. I’d rather just call. I know we gotta change with the times but it’s kinda hard. It’s like they even want too much information.

Original review: March 5, 2020

It's been years since I joined HomeServe. I got something in the mail. I've been with them for maybe about 10 years. Submitting a claim this time was great. The guy who came out was courteous and he fixed it efficiently. I've had two claims that were handled really well. They were small but the last two guys really did a good job. One of them was a leak behind the sink and one of them was with supply line problems, a leak going into the sink. Their contractors were courteous. When they ran into problems, they didn't try to put it off 'til another day. This last guy went right down and bought a part at Home Depot. And then my meter in the street wouldn't shut off so he advised me to get that fixed. As soon as they fixed it, they actually got out that day. I called back and he was out here and fixed it that same day. I was really impressed with that.

I had a big problem about five years ago though, and I’m still not satisfied with that. The first time the guy from Plumb Genius came, I had a leak in the drain under the house. There was water standing under the house. They came out but didn't have a sump pump and I didn't have one either. They told me it was my responsibility to pump the water out from under the house. I did that but I thought that was BS. They came back out and they said they found possum tracks under my house, so they refuse to go under the house until I capture the possum. I've never captured a wild animal before in my life but I have a grandson who loaned me a live trapper but all I caught was a really irate squirrel.

Three weeks later, they had finally agreed to come out and risk their lives and go under the house where there might be a possum. By that time, the problem had grown exponentially. Before that, there wasn’t feces in the water but after that, there was. It was my responsibility to pump it out. The guy that HomeServe used to contract said the company insisted they buy their own equipment, for one thing. They didn't provide them with a sump pump. This guy fixed it and it cost HomeServe $3,000. I had a guy that probably could have fixed it for a lot less than that and done a good job, and fixed it as soon as the problem arose.

But now, even with these many years later, I don't leave the vent grilles open and the fan. There's this stench that comes up from under the house. I guess that'll be there until I die and this house is passed on to somebody else. I feel sorry for that person, but there's nothing I can do about it.

After the initial deal, I didn't realize that there would be a problem like this. Once the leak was stopped and it dried up, there's always this problem. I will never use Plumb Genius locally either because they were just inept. The two guys that actually fixed it, they were good. Initially, if they had come out and fixed it, they had the equipment and they wouldn't have been afraid of the possum, it would have been fixed while it was just water from the washer or something like that.

Original review: March 2, 2020

I’m very grateful that I did get the flyer of HomeServe ‘cause they helped me out a whole lot. Sometimes, I forget I have it, and I pay people to come in and fix what messed up. So, I just decided to organize everything so that if I need them and it’s an emergency, I can call them. They helped fixed issues with the outside plumbing. I also had an issue with my hot water heater a month ago. I didn’t call Homeserve ‘cause I forgot I had them. I called a person to come out that works on my house, and he fixed it. As soon as he fixed it, I found the paper. I called Homeserve to ask them if they could reimburse, they said no.

But it’s not difficult to submit a claim to HomeServe. They only have two plumbers though. So, that was something different for me. When I asked the person who answered the phone, the customer service said they only had two plumbers that they dealt with. And one of the plumbers that he gave me the phone number of wanted to wait a week later to come. And a sewer had backed up at my home, and I couldn’t wait a week. So, they gave me a number of the other one, Hers & His Plumbing, and they came right on out. HomeServe should get some more plumbers to come out. And if I pay someone to repair something, maybe HomeServe can reimburse us back since we have the warranty. That’s the only thing I see wrong. Other than that, I like it.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

The City of Baltimore recommended HomeServe's service because of our aging infrastructure. I have 4 accounts for 4 houses covered in 3 different jurisdictions. Basically, my experience with the claim process has been good but the last one wasn’t. What happened was I had a leak and the plumber who came out misdiagnosed it. Initially, they came out and their first inclination was that it was a drain leak in the upstairs bathroom and it was gonna be a big deal. The first thing they said was, “We’d already cut the wall out to look.” Then they backtracked on that and said, “No. We just need to replace this pipe here.” So, it was gonna be more than they could deal with in the time frame that I had an expectation they would deal with it.

They would've eventually gotten it right, but I needed a faster turnaround than they were able to provide. I ended up hiring my own plumber and ended up with a huge job. I have pictures of how it was misdiagnosed and I imagine the original company would've figured this out. I need to go back and resubmit the claim but there’s a lot of paperwork. So, except for this last contractor who got a little bit beyond what they thought they were doing in their contract and it was basically to come out and address a leak, the contractors have been fine.

For simple things, if there really is no huge problem, then the HomeServe warranty is awesome. I’ve had that done a couple times. It’s certainly good for getting the drains cleared, and the turnaround’s real quick which is typically within 24 hours. But if there is a leak and walls have to be torn out and appliances have to be replaced, I don’t feel the service is able to respond in a manner that’s prompt enough for me because my properties are rentals and I have to respond to tenants. While HomeServe doesn’t provide 360 coverage for my plumbing, they are good for what it’s good for.

Original review: June 29, 2020

HomeServe is wonderful. HomeServe to help me deal with the cost and inconvenience of emergency home repairs. Do professional job, good communication and solve the issue right away. Without homeserve, this will drive me crazy and my emergency Sewer Line Repair Coverage breakdown could have resulted in unexpected, out-of-pocket expenses.

Original review: June 28, 2020

Timely, professional service! Very well pleased! I would recommend HomeServe to anyone. We needed emergency same day service and we got what we needed. I am so thankful for HomeServe. It saved us from going another day without a useable bathroom.

Original review: June 27, 2020

They are very good. I am very happy. They give me a new information about water line, water priming and where is water line under the ground. They use 1 day to fix it and make it back beautiful again.

Original review: June 26, 2020

I called in a Repair Requests on June 10th. I received a text and email periodically from HomeServe asking if a contractor called me. After I answered no there was no further contact. I called Homeserve on several occasions and was told the contractor will call me. Finally I was told the contractor rejected my order. I was then told a new contractor would call me & their phone number was given to me. After I hadn't received a follow-up call eventually I called the contractor and set up an appointment. The contractor came out on June 19th. I'm dissatisfied with the follow up service HomeServe didn't provide me.

HomeServe response

Hi Tiffany, We are so pleased Josiah was able to address and resolve your concerns. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if there is anything else we can do for you.

Regards,

Original review: June 26, 2020

Condensate was leaking from condensate pan. The technician told me that the condenser coils were leaking. This is not true. The refrigerant side of the unit is not leaking. The a/c works normally, blows cold air, the only issue is that condensate leaks out of the unit and on to the floor. In the what is not covered section, it does not list the condensate pan or condensate system. I can understand that if it was leaking down stream of the unit, it would be On me. I was told by the technician that the unit needs to be replaced. I find it very hard to replace the unit that works normally other than the condensate leak.

HomeServe response

Hi Benny, we regret to hear that you are displeased with your recent experience with us.Thanks for bringing this matter to our attention. We would like to get more details about this; my name is Josiah, and I will reach out to you shortly.

Regards,