2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties

4.1/5 (541 ratings)

About HomeServe

HomeServe offers a variety of plans that cover electrical wiring, gas fuel lines, plumbing, cooling and heating systems. The company also offers combination plans if you want to mix and match. You can cancel within 30 days for a full refund. There are no deductibles, and covered repairs have a one-year guarantee.

Pros

• Individual system coverage available
  • One-year workmanship guarantee
  • Low-cost plans

Cons

• All plans not available in all areas
  • Can’t choose your own contractor

Bottom Line

HomeServe specializes in providing coverage for your home’s essential systems, including electrical, plumbing and heat and air. While not all plans are available everywhere, its systems coverage is thorough and affordable.

Top HomeServe Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I use HomeServe when I need them. ...they follow through well. They were able to do everything that I called them for. I asked about some other things like appliances and if they ...

Verified

I've been using HomeServe for a couple of years. I have annual tune-ups and the boiler was broken a couple of times and every time, HomeServe has been very quick in responding and...

HomeServe plans and coverage

HomeServe plans cover the core systems in your home. You can choose to protect individual or multiple plumbing, electrical, and heating and cooling systems.

• Plumbing plans: Get coverage for your interior plumbing and drainage system, exterior sewer and septic line or your exterior water service line that brings water to your home.
  • Electrical plans: Maintain exterior electrical equipment, interior wiring and electrical surge protection.
  • Heating and cooling plans: Protect your heating system, water heater and gas line.
  • Combo plans: Combine coverage from multiple plans to cover different kinds of systems in your home.

HomeServe Combo plans

To combine coverage of the plumbing, electrical and heating and cooling plans, HomeServe created combination plans. These include:

• Premium Home Protection Plan, which rolls plumbing, electrical and heating and cooling coverage into one plan. It covers the water service line, the sewer/septic line, the gas line, interior plumbing, electrical lines, your water heater and your HVAC system.
  • TotalHome Warranty Combo Plan, which covers eight major appliances and 10 major home systems, including ductwork, the central vacuum system, the interior electrical system, internal plumbing and the cooling system.
  • TotalHome Warranty Appliance Plan, which covers eight of the most used home appliances, such as built-in microwaves and dishwashers.

HomeServe price

HomeServe plans start at $3.99 a month. Total costs vary by plan and by location around the country, so you will need to specify your ZIP code to get the most accurate price.

We requested a quote for a home in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and got the following pricing information:

PlanMonthly cost*
Heating system$12.99
Water heater repair and replacement$8.99
Electrical surge $1,000 coverage$3.99
Electrical surge $3,000 coverage$5.99

*Prices quoted for Tulsa, Oklahoma. Prices and plans may vary by location.

HomeServe claims

Getting systems serviced by HomeServe is a straightforward process, with representatives available 24/7 to take your call and dispatch a local, licensed technician to your home to make the needed repairs.

1. Submit a claim by calling HomeServe’s 24-hour hotline.
  2. HomeServe will send a licensed, local technician to your home.
  3. The technician handles covered repairs.

HomeServe has a one-year workmanship guarantee on all covered repairs, except for surge plan repairs, which include a 90-day warranty.

HomeServe FAQ

Does HomeServe require a home inspection?
No, HomeServe does not require a home inspection before you purchase a home warranty contract.
Can I pick my own service technician?
HomeServe chooses the technician. HomeServe works with a network of local, licensed and insured technicians. Repairs are guaranteed against defects in workmanship and materials for one year.
Is there a limit on repairs?
Yes, each contract has an annual benefit amount, which you can find in the fine print of your agreement. For example, HomeServe’s interior plumbing and draining system coverage in Tulsa, Oklahoma, has a $5,000 annual benefit, including a maximum of $2,500 per service call. Be sure to read over your contract carefully so you know HomeServe’s payout caps for your plan.
Do I have to pay a service call fee if a technician comes out more than once on the same repair?
No, there are generally no service call fees with HomeServe, and repairs are guaranteed for one year, so a technician will return at no charge if there is a problem.
Does HomeServe cover appliances?
HomeServe offers options for appliance coverage in some areas. Appliance coverage is not available in all areas.
What is a HomeServe USA repair plan?
A HomeServe USA repair plan covers various home systems and appliances, depending on where you live and which plan you select. Pay a monthly price for the plan and receive coverage for certain repairs when unexpected breakdowns occur.

Is HomeServe legit?

Yes, HomeServe is a legitimate company that serves more than 4 million homeowners in North America. It works with licensed and insured technicians and offers a one-year guarantee on all repairs. The company has a variety of coverage plans, including for appliances. Pricing and plan options vary by location.

HomeServe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeServe?

Original review: March 7, 2021

A friend said that they had HomeServe and they'd had really good luck with it. So I went ahead and called and got one policy started. I've had it for quite a while. I had a backup in my sewer when I was on vacation. The kids were staying here and there was a terrible backup. We wound up having to redo the whole downstairs and it was a mess. Luckily, my household insurance covered most of it.

The recent service request I had still was one of the drains. It was the main drain that had backed up and I caught it before it got too bad down the basement. It just had a little pool of water and lots of toilet paper and ick. Over the last six years, they have had to clear the drain many times and they can't ever find anything that will be stopping it. When the drain was cleared the time before, the plumber mentioned that if this would continue, I should probably have someone come in with a scope and check it out and see where exactly the problem was because it kept happening all the time.

Other than having grandkids or family over every once in a while, it's just me here in the house. So the amount of toilet paper or whatever that would stop it up, I don't know how that's happening. We went to Northern. That was what the plumber told me as one of the better toilet paper to use to have something soft. We don't use any tampons and we also don't use any of those wipes that you use for a baby to throw in there.

This is an old home and it has had a lot of renovations over the years. The other problem I've had over the years is that I've sprung leaks on my water lines three times downstairs. The plumbers had to either patch or replace some of the water lines. Luckily, the last one was covered by the policy I have with HomeServe. I got the sewer inside, sewer outside, and the water lines covered. The first two times it happened, I didn't have that and they told me that eventually, because of the age of the home and the condition of the pipes that I would probably have to have all of those replaced at one time. But other than these things that I've encountered, I've been very thrilled with all the service that HomeServe has covered for me.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

I signed up with HomeServe back in October last year. Signing up including the payment was pretty straightforward. You sign up online. But the follow-up part had been little bit awkward. I had to call the company to confirm I’m already part of the enrollment and find out where are the plan documents or T’s and C’s. It took a while for me to get there.

I had a call the very first time early this year on a Saturday night. The answering part is very quick and efficient. You can reach the operator right there and the communication about what would happen and what we would expect has been wonderful. However, I had to call back probably more than six times. It is probably a common practice in the industry that they have a bunch of contractors or third-party vendors they are affiliated with. They send a request to those people according to their preference or priority and it is upon them to call me back to set up the appointment and to confirm it. It was more of a waiting game on my end.

When the first vendor did not call back, I returned a call through HomeServe. I told them I hadn't received any phone call and asked them what was I supposed to do. Some of the representatives were quite honest to say, “Let me try myself and I’ll put you on hold.” It took longer than expected. He said, “I will call you back or give another hour or so.” Then another representative told me, “If they don't call you back, how about Monday or Tuesday?” In the end, Sunday around noontime, they reached out to a different vendor who was willing to come out to service. This was where things became so easy and straightforward. The vendor eventually came out and they did the work. It was a very simple declogging sewer line work. If you have the right tool, it's a piece of cake.

If I'm the one paying the vendor directly, it would be a different story. I have no idea how HomeServe is dealing with more preferred vendors and how the payment is going but I tend to believe they may not have any more interest to satisfy me as a customer due to the arrangement that was made between HomeServe and them directly. But I have no issue whatsoever with the service I'm getting. If the job is satisfactory, that's all that matters. That is what I got on Sunday so I'm happy with it. I will not hesitate to recommend to my friends. Even though they are not directly hired by me, they came out on a Sunday and did a wonderful job at least to complete it.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

Most of them were very knowledgeable. They took care of the issue. Might have left a hole or two in my walls, but at least the problem was solved. However, I wasn’t pleased with these particular guys. They left out, and they did something, and I knew that that wasn’t the issue. My husband took them downstairs. I hired a contractor because I was having problems with my sewer line. My basement is finished. If anything needs to be done, do it. I don't care about the finish. I care about functions. And they were like, “Oh, well, we got to do…” “Do what you got to do.” Nobody ever came back. Nobody said anything.

I had some other guys one time come out, and they had to cut the sewer line. This was in another home, and it was through HomeServe. They had to cut the sewer line, they do what they do. I already know they can't replace the wall and tiles. I’m not concerned about the finishing. I could get that done. I'm concerned about the function.

And now the guy told me he got the contractor to go in and do this stuff, and I have to pay for this. I was gonna call back and see if I could get some help because I’m paying HomeServe all this money. He said there’s a disconnection from my basement bathroom to the sewer line. Also, I have a sump pump, and all the rubbish goes into it and it’s just sitting there because there’s no connection for the sewer to go out. I knew it was something because we had this problem. I called HomeServe twice. The contractor came out, they went outside. They put a snake or whatever down in there, and they said they cleaned it. “Okay, but we still got a problem.”

I had HomeServe for years. Even in my rentals, I got them for the sake of my family just in case the landlord wanna get a ratchet and not do what they’re supposed to do. As long as I had them, I never had any problems until now. They came through. It was just a few problems here and there. And the contractors came, and they service it. Some of them are really knowledgeable. They tell me, “Okay, we’re doing this, but you need to do this. Or we’re doing this and this needs to be done.” When these other guys came out, they tell me nothing. I had to actually get somebody to come in here to tell me what was going on. Other than that, I recommend HomeServe to my friends. HomeServe covers a lot. It’s just now plumbing.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

HomeServe is great. They fixed my furnace and my air conditioner, and I didn't have a giant bill I had to cough up. I just pay the little fee every month. I've submitted claims three or four times for different things. When I call them up, they say somebody will contact me within two hours. Usually within 15 or 20 minutes, somebody calls. They'll identify themselves and tell me know who they are and where they're coming from. Then they will tell me however long it takes them to get from where they are to my house, which is usually like 10 to 20 minutes. They come and they're very professional. The people are very nice. They're very clean.

Now with the pandemic, they wear masks to protect me because I'm old lady, and I'm from high risk with diabetes and a heart condition. There's no question about wearing a mask. They come with the mask right on. With HomeServe, I don't have to wait for days for a contractor to come out. Sometimes, if you go through HomeServe, they come right away. The only that disappointed me was that I thought when I got the water in the water lines and drain lines, they would cover if there’s a leak underneath my bathroom sink. If the drain is rusted through and it's leaking, I thought it would cover that but it didn't. I wasn't mad about it. I just misunderstood that it covered the actual sewer lines, not the little drain thing under the bathroom sink.

With the money I paid them for the year, I've already more than got back for my furnace and my air conditioning calls. When an auxiliary heater in my garage broke, I called HomeServe and I found out that the warranty I had didn't cover that little heater in the garage. It had to have its own separate warranty. They did send somebody. He came and he fixed it and I paid for it. Then I called back and I got a warranty on that heating thing in the garage. So if it breaks again, I'll have a warranty on that too. I'm pretty well covered. It's always very good work and good people. If something happens again, they'll send them again. They don’t give me a hard time. So for the peace of mind and that I don't have to write out a check for $1,000, it's worth every penny.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

It's fairly easy to get the claim pushed through with HomeServe. We had a backup. The plumber came out but he couldn't get it. So, he had to call another one. Another one came up and he couldn't get it. Then they sent another team out. They ended up getting it. Then I had another backup that came up even before that go. I had another plumber come out that wasn't connected with Homeserve or Haynes. He suggested that I run the camera down the system.

I had an independent contractor. I paid over $500 for them to come up and run a camera. The pipe is about 10 feet out that has a deep dip in it. What happened, stuff built up in that area and eventually, it caused the backup. It may take a while to do it, but eventually, it does. I passed that on to Haynes. When that came out, I showed them that. They said there was no problem. I’d always have water in the pipes. I said okay. But then, I had another backup that came back out. They ran another camera down there. It was the same thing. They said it’s slow, but there was no major problem. They cleared it. Then it started backing up again.

Then they came out and ran another camera. They said I had a broken pipe, which I suspected that. They replaced a portion of the pipe, but it didn't replace the part where the dip was. About two weeks ago, I had another backup. I called them and the guy came out. At first, he couldn't get it ‘cause he had a little smaller snake. He called back and a guy came out with a larger snake. He went back to clear the line.

I was explaining to him the same problem I was having. I said it's gonna be back up again eventually. Haynes came out and they looked at it. Homeserve was calling another company ‘cause another company came out this Wednesday. They ran a camera down there. The same thing that I've been telling Haynes and my contractor that paid for, the problem was that dip in the pipe. They just confirmed everything that I had to say. They sent the paperwork to Homeserve.

HomeServe is going to replace that section of pipe, but they haven’t done that. I'm just praying right now I don’t get another backup before this occurs. But Homeserve seems very cooperative with me, and they’re very nice and very pleasant. But the problem hasn’t really been solved as of yet. I would recommend them because Homeserve is not doing the work themselves. They have contractors and they go by what the contractor says.

Original review: June 4, 2021

Always provides excellent service. Really great customer Service. Will highly recommend to all of my friends. All of the plumbers they have sent have been highly qualified and did an outstanding job. We will continue to use HomeServe for all of our warranty needs. Thanks so much.

Original review: June 4, 2021

They tell you one thing when you sign up then when you need them they tell you you're not covered. Beware before you buy!!! I even talked to a manager and they treat you like a second class person and they don't if you stay as a customer or not. I paid into my policy for 2 years and big deal. They refunded a portion of my months payment but it cost me 900 hundred to repair my plumbing!!

Original review: June 4, 2021

I have some plumbing issues and it's not been a good experience. I'm still dealing with it. It’s still an issue. HomeServe sent two different companies out, and I'm still waiting. Nobody's called. One company said one thing, and the other company said something else. They're two different companies saying two different things about what's going on. Other than that, I’ve had other claims in the past and I was very satisfied.

Original review: June 3, 2021

I am not satisfied with HomeServe service. They cover things that rarely fail in my house. I feel like I am wasting my money. I have paid a lot of money to HomeServe but they refused to repair when I needed them. I would not recommend HomeServe to other people.

Original review: May 26, 2021

HomeServe as a company is pretty good in communication. It's just that sometimes the contractors won't give you a call ahead. Other than that, HomeServe is affordable, and they are efficient.

HomeServe Company Information