1.85/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

This company pays a monthly fee to participate in the ConsumerAffairs accreditation program and we may receive compensation for any referrals.

HomeServe Reviews

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Mind you, my experience with Homeserve has been mostly good. I've had two covered plumbing repairs on my inside plumbing policy, and both times a plumber came promptly, fixed the problem, and charged me nothing for the service (I had to pay for a part, but that is fair). My issue is with my Heating System warranty - and honestly, the problem arose from me not reading the correct paragraph of fine print. I had read on their website that if a unit was deemed non-repairable, they would contribute up to the yearly repair benefit to the replacement. This turns out not to be true. That is true in their appliance policy, but not in the heating policy.

Subsequent reading of the fine print was a little ambiguous, but it does not promise anything toward full replacement. They did say they would offer me a pro-rated refund of my premium back to the time I bought the policy and this turned out not to be true. When I followed up on this offer, what they actually offered me was a portion of the current month's premium in refund - $6.99. I'm on the hook for the full replacement cost of my furnace - which if I'd read my whole policy, I would have known. So now you know.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

HomeServe is the best. An excellent technician came and found that the furnace was fine, it just blew a fuse. He replaced it and I have heat! I appreciate his expertise and his honesty. The previous day I had called a local plumber who charged me $85 for a service call fee + $375 for "diagnosing the problem". He said it needed a new electrode and it would cost $1,400 (that's without pricing the part). I thought the service call fee should be part of giving me an estimate and didn't trust him. He left without reassembling the furnace, leaving the metal panels on the floor like a piece of junk. I was very glad to call HomeServe. Kenny was very professional and reliable. He found the circuit breaker had flipped. Then he found the problem and restored my heat in minutes. I would never call anyone else now. Thank you, HomeServe!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

I have exterior water line coverage and had to use it after realizing there was a bad leak outside. I called Homeserve and someone was out the next morning to assess the issue. As soon as 811 marked the ground for digging (which took a week) the plumbers were back the next business day. Initially Homeserve was told I would owe $550 but when I told the rep no way did the plumbers need to do inside work they called the plumbers for me and cleared up the issue. Homeserve called back to confirm no out of pocket costs and told me I was good to go. The plumbers replaced my entire line that day and now we are all back to working order without one dollar out of pocket cost.

This was a very easy process with Homeserve and I do recommend them to my neighbors despite being told that normally these types of companies will only put "bandaids" on these leaks even though once a line is moved it tends to leak again and again and should just be replaced. I can only rate my experience which was great and worth the $7 a month cost.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

Coe Electric, Dan Coe Owner- was dispatched to my residence after a tornado came through South Charleston, WV. Causing significant damage to our power lines & our aeration system because the power pole fell on top of it. My power pole was broken, all the lines were laying down & aeration system smashed. When they arrived they were quick to assess the damage and get started on the job. It started to pour down rain on these guys and they still worked through it. They put up a brand new power pole & installed the service on our Mobile Home instead of another wood pole in the yard. They ran a new wire electrical line under our MH & grounded it to make sure it was up to code and did this all in the same day. The job was almost completed in the same day but due to the inspector not coming out that night we didn't get power until the next day.

The next day Coe Electric came back out and fixed our aeration system, it had to be re-wired. All this was done with great efficiency & great customer service! I didn't have to pay anything, it was all covered under my exterior line coverage through HomeServe! It is definitely worth the money!! I was definitely impressed with Coe Electric and will defintiely call them if needed in the future!! I'd highly recommend Coe Electric!!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I have had HomeServe protect me for both my heating and air conditioning systems for many years now. John came today and was so professional, like so many of the repair people from HomeServe. John always goes that extra mile. He was great - he came within the repair appointment window, he fixed the thermocoupler issue with my boiler, and he waited to make sure that the system came back up fully. Those extra few minutes waiting to make sure that everything was truly working well makes all the difference. It shows his concern. The cold weather has been so dangerous lately, so it made me feel confident that we would be safe. I recommend every home owner should take out their heating and AC maintenance contracts. I know I can count on HomeServe.

HomeServe response

Hi Allison, the "polar vortex" we just went through was quite severe for sure. So glad that we were able to fix your heating system problem quickly. Thanks for sharing your feedback and for being a customer!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeServe?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

This is long, but please read. In less than 2 weeks’ time I have had 4 service calls from HomeServe, waited at home for the 5th service call all day only to have no one show up or call to cancel, and today we still have no heat. I’ve had a HomeServe contract for years. 5 scheduled service calls later and we still have no heat. First appointment - I called them less than 2 weeks ago because my vents were only blowing cold air and not heat. The tech came and said it was because the air filter needed to be changed. We took out the filter and the heat was working, so we thought problem was solved. Second appointment - Later that night the heat stopped working again. We called and weren’t able to get anyone in for 2 days due to a backload on their end. 2 days later, with no heat in NYC, the service man comes and says we need a new control panel. New one was installed and heat was working.

Third appointment - A short while later the heat stopped turning over and blowing air all together. Another call to HomeServe brought about our 3rd service call the next day, by the same guy who installed the panel the day before. He checked the unit and apologized, saying that he “pulled too hard” on the pressure hose while changing the panel and that’s why the furnace wouldn’t heat. He changed the pressure valve, tightened the connection and the heat started working. It worked for a couple of days.

Fourth and fifth appointment - Lo and behold the heat once again stopped working altogether. Another call to HomeServe to schedule our FOURTH service call in just over a week brought another service person a day later, who after checking the unit informed us that the last guy installed the wrong pressure valve which resulted in the heater not working. He ordered a new valve and said it would be in later that night or the next morning (which would have been yesterday) and that we’d get a call to have it installed. Yesterday after multiple calls to HomeServe explaining how we’ve had multiple 20 and 30 degree days and nights with no heat, that our problem was the result of negligence on the part of HomeServe technicians, we finally got a same day repair call and they were supposed to be here between 12-8pm. No one showed. No one called to postpone.

I called and was on the phone with HomeServe last night for about an hour. Talked to the call center rep. Talked with a supervisor. No one was able to help get someone to my home and we spent another night in our home with no heat. We waited home and missed work for 5 days in barely 2 weeks and have no heat. No one from HomeServe has done anything to rectify this except to keep scheduling appointments. I have never experienced such poor service, such uncaring “professionals,” such incompetency on the part of a company that I pay a service contract for. Very disappointed and I would definitely not recommend HomeServe to anyone after my most recent experience.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

TO People that BELIEVE: Our time in life is much more valuable than yours/others' portrayal of life. Each and every one of you/us deal with consternation and the belief that we are better than one another, everyday. To deal with this ongoing lack of Personal Contact, Investigation or Lack of Acknowledgement into a simple matter is unbecoming the will, fortitude and the ability to move the American people, not only forward, but to understand where you and we came from.. History is not only a guide to the future, but a simple fact. Try it on your own, let us know the results, however History is the guide to improvement in any environment. Do not LEAD, until you have first experienced the aftermath of your actions. It's a YES or NO question regarding this ABOLITION of our current life and or situation, GOOGLE IT. "Contract vs Customer."

It is not worth the effort, be it your time, or ours. (Canceling Contract) as are many of my customers, over 2500 customers in Spring Hill, TN and across middle TN and the nation. I have, in the past, recommended my customers sign up ABOUT HomeServeUSA. After my customers have paid many hard earned dollars and have sacrificed their quality of Living, Life and their Children's Life just to satisfy your Ideology/Fraud, YES, I said FRAUD, and A "NON-RESPONSE", or "NO-RESPONSE" Corporation is nothing more than IGNORANCE in a.. We, as glue to your or others' success, are from from stupid. Client's find, PROVE ME WRONG that your company is only on the side of the attorneys that practice HR rules and nothing more than many years of this contract, all they have gotten is a romance with non speaking, non-intelligent people that ask more questions that need NO answer.

And that is a major problem for her and others in their own capacity..No other claims to my knowledge and or hers.. She has and is now suffering from Parkinson's disease and is not capable of communicating coherently regarding anyone or anything in the past 3 years. (Contracts and or any other substantive communications, Oral or Verbal. She has paid, through direct deduction to Homeserve and now it's a major problem. In the last 5 years, (No one has contacted this client/customer to describe any and or all new and/or improved options for her well being. Contract signed 5 to 6 years ago. This is nothing more than fraudulent practices. Without the ability to ask specifically, for an appeal, or any review, reciprocity or re-compensation for expenses incurred by customer. Has paid for.

After numerous phone calls, trains (I'll transfer you syndrome), penalty boxes (on hold for ever, different departments, different people in different regionals or countries), each with denial and no direct communication(s) based on original complaint(s) with the person or persons responsible for contract communications, oral (Recorded) or written. I never had a response to email regarding this case and to date, NONE by Hayden at some GROUP, undetermined at this point. It seems to be a never ending circle with no transparent communication between departments. No direct number to those that communicate undirectly to the end user. The SCAM is to deny, deny, deny and reiterate the contract you signed. Knowing that if you have a complaint, you are out of luck regardless of the critical situation.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I moved in May 2019 from a house to a rental. When I turned off utilities I asked Dominion Energy to cancel any add on warranties they had sold me. I was told the cancel automatically. In Nov. 2019 I get a letter from Dominion Energy about my new policy with HomeServe at new address. Since I rent I am not responsible for repairs and never signed up. It seems HomeServe never cancelled then moved policy to rental address on their own. Both companies are denying negligence but this seems to be a HomeServe tactic which should be illegal and I plan to write about it extensively online.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

My heat went out on Friday night so I called HomeServe at 8:30 Saturday morning. I was given a name of a repair person and was told I had to wait for 4 hours to determine if/and what time the repair person would be available to fix unit. At 11:30 the repair person called me to tell me they could not fix my heat until Wednesday which was totally unacceptable. So I called back to let HomeServe know that Wednesday was unacceptable so they started searching for another repair person.

In the meantime we called our OWN repair person and they came out within 30 minutes figured out what the problem was and was ready to fix it but they didn't have a contract with HOMESERVE. So we could have had heat around 1:30 that afternoon but NO we had to wait until one of their repair people was available which was NOT until WEDNESDAY. They had NO OTHER repair people who had supplies on hand but yet they are supposed to be the HOME WARRANTY people that fix stuff when they break! I purchased this warranty through my local utility company but THIS company is HORRIBLE! I am dropping them as soon as I can find another Home warranty company.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

After paying months and months of service plan I called HomeServe to repair my AC. They have so many fine Terms and condition. Basically They don't cover anything. Their basic Goal is to sell you new Ac system. Finally I had to hire my own Ac Tech and paid extra to repair my AC. HomeServe did not repair. Please please Never ever get their warranty. They will not cover anything. DO Not Waste time and money. Useless.

HomeServe response

We are in receipt of the complaint filed by the customer and regret to learn of her dissatisfaction. We have reached out to the customer to resolve the issue.

HomeServe expert review by Michele Lerner

HomeServe USA provides home repair service plans to help homeowners with domestic emergencies, whether they are plumbing, heating, cooling or electrical in nature. The plans are the equivalent of car roadside assistance, and aim to give consumers peace of mind and save them money.

• Customer service: The HomeServe USA repair hotline operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to quickly process repair claims and help homeowners.

• Immediate coverage: Coverage starts the day a customer's order is processed, although most plans require a 30-day waiting period before a customer makes a claim.

• Technican screening: HomeServe USA technicians are local, licensed and insured. The screening process includes an evaluation of technicians in the field as well as verification of their certifications.

• Range of plans: Plans provide coverage for areas such as exterior and interior electrical wiring, exterior sewer and septic lines, interior plumbing and drainage, water heater, cooling and heating systems and the interior gas line.

• Guarantee: HomeServe USA plans come with a one-year guarantee to ensure the thoroughness of repairs.

• Best for: first-time buyers, owners of older homes and those who want to cover more specialized problems.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

HomeServe Company Information