2.28/5
Based on 25 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a home warranty company?

25 HomeServe USA Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 1, 2018

The process of getting my town to issue a permit for a water heater and a boiler required that HomeServe's master plumber coordinate the effort with the building inspector. Throughout this, I had to continually call him or his office to find out the status and effect the inspections. Most of the time my calls went unanswered. It was only after calling customer service on the 844 number was I able to get them to do what I was paying them to do.

Original review: June 12, 2018

My AC went out on 6/1/18. I called back on 6/2 to get an update. I was told they could not find anyone in my area and they had 48 hrs to find someone. I received a call exactly 48 hrs and was told someone would be out next day 6/4. Tech drove 1+hrs to get to my home. Tech came. Replaced one part. Still didn't work. He went outside and found I also needed some circuit board. He said he would call it in and the part would be in next day. It is now 6/12. I have call HomeServe every 2 days for an update. All I am told is part has not arrived yet. (I looked on many sites and I could get any part next day delivery.) Today I called and asked for a supervisor. I was told someone would call me back. 6 hrs later no call back. I think it might be time to go to small claims court to sue this company.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: June 12, 2018

I am on day 5 waiting for a plumber to be sent to fix the leak in my water line to the house. Company says they're trying to find someone to send. I assumed they had contractors lined up who could respond quickly to a plumbing situation. Have called at least 6 times, told politely that they are working on it but no one has called me with updates or offered to reimburse me the cost to have the leak fixed by someone I can find. Big issue is no plumbing companies want to wait to be paid by an insurance company but HomeServe will not cover if the customer provides the plumber. Would never buy more coverage from them. I just hope I don't end up with a sinkhole from this leak.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Have had this policy for three years, never had a claim. Discovered a water line leak this past week. Called HomeServe. They sent a plumber out the same day. He dug up the line near where I'd seen a seep, found the leak. Couldn't repair it that night (needed materials not normally carried on his truck), but said he'd be back next day. We were without water overnight. Plumber appeared next day as promised and fixed the leak promptly (and, it appears, permanently). This one repair paid for, probably, 5-6 years of premiums.

Original review: May 24, 2018

When Dominion changed over to HomeServe there was no distribution of policy changes. They just took our money and when we needed them, refused to cover. They are also giving my daughter the runaround in Charlottesville because her renter (who has the Dominion account) bought the AC policy and now they will not honor it for the renter!!! I believe they seek ways NOT to make good on their policies! Can I give them ZERO stars???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeServe USA?

Original review: May 23, 2018

Appliance warranty companies are risky as it is, since they lead you to believe your AC or furnace are "safe" but they only cover specific items. HomeServe (aka Home Emergency Insurance Solutions), however, is a cut below the others. For one, their mailers look like official utility-sponsored endorsements, misleading residents - like my 82 year old step-father - into thinking the company is working with the city. Worse still, when my step-father's old AC unit died, the HomeServe repairman told me the problem was not covered (surprise) and - get this - that even if the part was covered he could not replace it since they don't make them anymore. So HomeServe sold the old man a policy that they never intended to honor! And good luck getting anywhere with their customer service department. The "supervisors" were all polite, but did not return my calls and finally just told me no one "upstairs" will address the complaint. Wow.

Original review: May 20, 2018

The way they advertise made me feel safe. I have not called them once for a repair and it was covered, but a stopped up sink. The Valve inside my wall failed and they said this is a fixture. The first line in the coverage says valve coverage. They only cover $4.00 cut off valve. This is good to have until you have a problem. I have 5 plans with them. I would not recommend this to another person. This company promotes well, but they have a fine line for anything and the repair people know it. I read a lot of reviews and thought people were not reading the coverage. Not the case. Plumbing and Electrical you need to read carefully. Your husband can do what they cover.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I had a toilet stoppage issue. When I first contacted HomeServe about my issue, they ask me if I had a washer and if so was it also backing up. When I told them that it was not they diagnosed my problem over the phone without ever bothering to send out a professional to physically diagnose the problem. At that time I was told that I was not covered because the issue was inside and I was covered for the outside. I was also told that I should have gotten inside coverage. (Where have you heard that before). Their contract is so simple that it would be hard for anyone not to understand it. My contract simply says Sewer Septic line Plus, it does not specify outside or inside service. I do not believe that this company had any intention of honoring this contract but only to get money for as long as they could.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I have been a customer with HomeServe for the past five years, I have never used their service until six weeks ago. I called to notify them that my hot water tank had a leak. I waited three days with no contact information, I called a local plumbing company here in Payson to get the leak fix. The problem was a shut off valve on the tank not working. The repair work cost $ 197.00, I send in my invoice to HomeServe six weeks ago. I called this morning and was given the runaround with five different people.

The valve was connected to the evaporating cooler water line on the water heater. Nothing to do with the evaporator cooler. Their customer service was a nightmare, kept repeating that the evap was not cover. If any of my friends use this company I would suggest you cancel their service and save your money...I'm also asking that you share this post on your Facebook page. Thanks.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Called HomeServe. They sent a tech from MANY MILES away - and according to him, he could only diagnose the problem BEFORE attempting to repair my electrical problem. One day when I entered my home office I flipped on the light switch and all the lights went out after I heard a receptacle blow. I looked at the circuit box and a breaker had turned off. I turned it back on, but it blew again. I turned off the switch and turned the breaker back on and it didn't blow them. I replaced the receptacle with a brand new one, but when I turned the switch on the breaker blew again.

When the "electrician" saw the new receptacle, he said he couldn't repair the problem since I had done that. He just left and I never heard another word from him or HomeServe. The "electrician" said that because I had tried to fix the problem, it was NOT covered under my warranty - it was an exclusion. I don't know if I'll be charged with a "diagnosis" cost as yet. I had to wait 2 days for him to arrive, and never got the problem fixed. I finally had to call in a REAL electrician to fix the problem which was a short in the receptacle box that wired a series of receptacles together. Cost... $150.00 - but for a top notch LOCAL electrician with excellent references.

It could have been MUCH worse... my house could have been destroyed by fire, so the $150.00 was worth every penny it to find a REAL, LICENSED AND EXPERIENCED electrician, to get the required repair done, and to discover HomeServe warranties aren't as good as several others. I purchased the HomeServe warranty since it was strongly recommended by AARP. I wonder if they vetted HomeServe before they recommended them and offered a discount for signing with them.

Too bad HomeServe doesn't work with him. But I had to wait almost a week to get it repaired since the REAL electrician wasn't available sooner. I guess it's my bad that I didn't know the exclusion in the fine print. But I learned a lesson... DON'T buy warranties that have more EXCLUSIONS than INCLUSIONS. If ever I purchase another home service warranty, I'll read the FINE PRINT ON "EXCLUSIONS" beforehand. For now, Bye bye HomeServe!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Inside sewer line repair - Shame on UCLA Alumni Association for getting us connected to this company. First repair went fine. After that, the company's business plan seems to be to find any possible reason a repair is not covered. They are very creative, giving lots of reasons. Repair people collude with firm.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Called Friday evening to place a service call on my furnace. The service co. called me a while later and said they would be at my house on Monday, the temp was 15 degrees. Called to complain to a supervisor and 20 minutes later was told nothing could be done any sooner. We will be without heat for 2 1/2 days. Totally unacceptable. Told them, "I hope when I call AAA if I end up in a ditch, I hope they don't leave me in the ditch for 2 1/2 days."

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

NO HEAT. Called for tech to come to residence to view problem with forced hot air furnace system at 7:30pm Saturday 1/13. Tech comes to house as scheduled on Sunday 3pm and states a part needs to be ordered (main valve controller). STILL NO HEAT. No word from call center or manager as to when part is to arrive and be installed on Monday. Stated they do not know when part will be in. STILL NO HEAT. My son went down to check model number of Honeywell part and call FW Webb 5 minutes from my house... they had the part with 5 in stock plus mentioned to my son HOMESERVE has an account with them. We purchased out of pocket 280$. HOMESERVE contacts me Wednesday am via EMAIL they have part... 4 days later??? MY recommendation FIND A REAL SERVICE COMPANY... NO EXCUSE FOR 4 DAYS NOT HEARING FROM THEM.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I need to file a complaint. My parents called last night when the furnace went out and they said they would send someone today between 9&10. No one came. We called this morning and they were nasty with us both. Still can't find no one and it's 11 degrees outside and 47 degrees in their house. Both are elderly and have health issues. My dad is 66 and a veteran. They should of not been treated this way. They had to get a outside help to get the furnace fixed. This is wrong how my parents were treated.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I called HomeServe Sat at 11:30 pm. I have no heat, I was told by Ivan no one can come for repair until sometime on Monday, this is not what I was told about service when I signed up, Ivan said nothing he can do.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I have paid into HomeServe for over 5 years... well over 7,000.00. They left me go without water for over 2 weeks and without heat in sub zero temps for a week. Sent a guy in a jeep with a screwdriver to fix a blower that would not stop blowing cold air and when he left it started up again. Still no water due to a leak. Sending a guy 2 hours away who is rude on the phone. DO NOT EVER EVER EVER ENROLL IN HOMESERVE.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

HomeServe USA in Louisville, KY patches, patches, patches. Knew there was an obvious major issues that lasted over 9 months. Refused to fix my water line issues correctly causing me to have major out of pocket expenses. Cannot get past call center. Refused to allow me to talk to a supervisor. Local water company pushes this insurance company and even bills premiums on water bills. Both has caused undue stress and expense.

Original review: March 22, 2017

I am in escrow and had a water main leak. I called and first plumber. They sent out Lancelot Plumbing. It was raining and you could tell they really didn't want to get dirty. They said it was HOA issue. So I called HOA. They sent John from All Star Plumbing. He found leak under slab on my side. He charged me 225 for leak detection. I called Home Emergency and they sent them out again. They still stated no leak. So then Stafford And Sons came out. He said HOA issue, 4 days had passed leak still there. I had John with All-Star fix the leak and paid him. I was so frustrated. So many calls. I will say Home Emergency refunded me both the 225 for leak detection and the 1500 to fix leak. I was very happy with them after that. Thank you for keeping your word. You're the best.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

Everyone was really nice and friendly. They did their best to help me understand what I had warranty wise. They provided reliable service. It was ok coverage. It didn't really give you much unless you wanted to spend a small fortune. Nothing about it really stood out to me. In my personal opinion the value to cost ratio was poor. You didn't get much for what you paid for. There are other companies that you can get more for the same prices. It definitely wasn't as accessible as other more common knowledge companies. I did find them but had it not been for a recommendation I had no idea who they were.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

These people are here to assist you 24/7 and should you need any help just hit the button and a friendly agent will walk you through the entire process. A job well done. They can really handle any of your needs. The coverage they provide are top-notched and you will be amazed. I was totally impressed with this coverage and so will you. Great value that goes a long way. The peace of mind knowing you are secured with your warranties gives me a safe feeling. Great value, great service. The website is open and you need to check out all the things you can have put under warranty. It is a safe and easy way to do it. All in one website. Nothing better than that.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

I thought that throughout the entire process I received wonderful customer service. Everyone that I dealt with was nice, polite and professional. They have a wide selection of coverage plans. I found it was very easy to find a plan that suited my needs. The choices that were provided gave me lots to choose from. I would say that for the coverage I received and the price that I paid added up to a very good value. I feel like I was given enough choices to pick just what I needed at a price I could afford. They had enough contact channels that I was able to get in touch with them when and how I wanted to.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

Arrived on time. Checked the product problem as I described it. Found out why was wrong and fixed it very quickly. Never spoke to me like I didn't know what I was talking about. Very polite. The product was covered. He retrieved the parts needed. Installed them quickly, efficiently. And they had a extended warranty of 90 days on the new parts. Anything covered is always very valuable. Had it not been covered by them it would have cost nearly 400.00 to fix. I never could have afforded that. They are very accessible. Once you contact them they return your call or email very quickly. You set up an appointment with them, they make your appointment as soon as possible. They always answer any additional questions you might have with no problem.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

Very helpful interactions and knowledgeable. Very easy to work with and very satisfied with the company. I have recommended the company to many people who have also have had equally positive experiences. Adequate and comprehensive coverage to protect my property. I am satisfied with the offered coverage and plan to continue doing business with the company in the future. Very competitive rates when compared against other comparable companies that offer the same coverage. I compared the rates and this company gave a better rate, so it gives good value for the benefits provided. This company is easy to contact and seems to be available when needed. I haven't experienced long wait times on the phone and customer service is reachable and seems to also be there with good hours.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

Their customer service is outstanding. They handle everything like a professional would do. They have amazing customer service and are very helpful in every way possible. Their coverage is truly amazing and is very helpful and I really like how they go about doing things professionally. Their coverage is a range of everything. It shows everything labeled on rates. The value of their product is truly awesome and is very good. I really like what they do and the value offered is the best. They handle everything like a professional and they take the time to value their customer. They are very, very accessible by any means. They are always there to provide help or anything else you need. They are very accessible in any range, day or night.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2016

I love the customer service for this company mainly because the company has a good reputation in it. It keeps people engage together as a group to make their company better. The coverage of this company is really good because they had made a lot of people save enough time to work on and negotiate on a solution. The value to me is really worth it because I think if you just have the product or if you keep this company with you for a little longer then you'll possibly have every benefits they offer. This is good for company because it helps generate the customers into their establishment to keep on working with their customers to find out what they need and what they want.

HomeServe USA expert review by Michele Lerner

HomeServe USA provides home repair service plans to help homeowners with domestic emergencies, whether they are plumbing, heating, cooling or electrical in nature. The plans are the equivalent of car roadside assistance, and aim to give consumers peace of mind and save them money.

• Customer service: The HomeServe USA repair hotline operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to quickly process repair claims and help homeowners.

• Immediate coverage: Coverage starts the day a customer's order is processed, although most plans require a 30-day waiting period before a customer makes a claim.

• Technican screening: HomeServe USA technicians are local, licensed and insured. The screening process includes an evaluation of technicians in the field as well as verification of their certifications.

• Range of plans: Plans provide coverage for areas such as exterior and interior electrical wiring, exterior sewer and septic lines, interior plumbing and drainage, water heater, cooling and heating systems and the interior gas line.

• Guarantee: HomeServe USA plans come with a one-year guarantee to ensure the thoroughness of repairs.

• Best for: first-time buyers, owners of older homes and those who want to cover more specialized problems.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
    Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

HomeServe USA Company Information