3.8/5 (317 ratings)
$100
View Plans from Top Home Warranty Companies

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

About HomeServe

HomeServe offers a variety of plans that cover electrical wiring, gas fuel lines, plumbing, cooling and heating systems. The company also offers combination plans if you want to mix and match. You can cancel within 30 days for a full refund, and covered repairs have a one-year guarantee.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• Individual system coverage available
    • One-year workmanship guarantee
    • Low-cost plans

Cons

• All plans not available in all areas
    • Can’t choose your own contractor

Bottom Line

HomeServe specializes in providing coverage for your home’s essential systems, including electrical, plumbing and heat and air. While not all plans are available everywhere, its systems coverage is thorough and affordable.

Top HomeServe Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I use HomeServe when I need them. ...they follow through well. They were able to do everything that I called them for. I asked about some other things like appliances and if they ...

Verified

I've been using HomeServe for a couple of years. I have annual tune-ups and the boiler was broken a couple of times and every time, HomeServe has been very quick in responding and...

HomeServe plans and coverage

HomeServe plans cover the core systems in your home. You can choose to protect individual or multiple plumbing, electrical, and heating and cooling systems.

• Plumbing plans: Get coverage for your interior plumbing and drainage system, exterior sewer and septic line or your exterior water service line that brings water to your home.
    • Electrical plans: Maintain exterior electrical equipment, interior wiring and electrical surge protection.
    • Heating and cooling plans: Protect your heating system, water heater and gas line.
    • Combo plans: Combine coverage from multiple plans to cover different kinds of systems in your home.

HomeServe Combo plans

To combine coverage of the plumbing, electrical and heating and cooling plans, HomeServe created combination plans. These include:

• Premium Home Protection Plan, which rolls plumbing, electrical and heating and cooling coverage into one plan. It covers the water service line, the sewer/septic line, the gas line, interior plumbing, electrical lines, your water heater and your HVAC system.
    • TotalHome Warranty Combo Plan, which covers eight major appliances and 10 major home systems, including ductwork, the central vacuum system, the interior electrical system, internal plumbing and the cooling system.
    • TotalHome Warranty Appliance Plan, which covers eight of the most used home appliances, such as built-in microwaves and dishwashers.

HomeServe price

HomeServe plans start at $7.99 per month. Total costs vary by plan and by location around the country, so you will need to specify your ZIP code to get the most accurate price.

We requested a quote for a home in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and got the following pricing information:

PlanMonthly cost*
    Exterior water service line$7.99
    Exterior sewer/septic line$12.98
    Interior plumbing and drainage system$18.99
    Interior electrical line$11.99
    Heating system$12.99
    Water heater repair and replacement$8.99

*Prices quoted for Tulsa, Oklahoma. Prices and plans may vary by location.

HomeServe claims

Getting systems serviced by HomeServe is a straightforward process, with representatives available 24/7 to take your call and dispatch a local, licensed technician to your home to make the needed repairs.

1. Submit a claim by calling HomeServe’s 24-hour hotline.
    2. HomeServe will send a licensed, local technician to your home.
    3. The technician handles covered repairs.

HomeServe has a one-year workmanship guarantee on all covered repairs, except for surge plan repairs, which include a 90-day warranty.

HomeServe FAQ

Does HomeServe require a home inspection?

No, HomeServe does not require a home inspection before you purchase a home warranty contract.

Can I pick my own service technician?

HomeServe chooses the technician. HomeServe works with a network of local, licensed and insured technicians. Repairs are guaranteed against defects in workmanship and materials for one year.

Is there a limit on repairs?

Yes, each contract has an annual benefit amount, which you can find in the fine print of your agreement. For example, HomeServe’s interior plumbing and draining system coverage in Tulsa, Oklahoma, has a $5,000 annual benefit, including a maximum of $2,500 per service call. Be sure to read over your contract carefully so you know HomeServe’s payout caps for your plan.

Do I have to pay a service call fee if a technician comes out more than once on the same repair?

No, there are generally no service call fees with HomeServe, and repairs are guaranteed for one year, so a technician will return at no charge if there is a problem.

Does HomeServe cover appliances?

HomeServe offers options for appliance coverage in some areas. Appliance coverage is not available in all areas.

What is a HomeServe USA repair plan?

A HomeServe USA repair plan covers various home systems and appliances, depending on where you live and which plan you select. Pay a monthly price for the plan and receive coverage for certain repairs when unexpected breakdowns occur.

Is HomeServe legit?

Yes, HomeServe is a legitimate company that serves more than 4 million homeowners in North America. It works with licensed and insured technicians and offers a one-year guarantee on all repairs. The company has a variety of coverage plans, including for appliances. Pricing and plan options vary by location.

HomeServe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeServe?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

The sink in one of my bathrooms got stuffed up, and anytime one has a plumbing problem, it happens on a Friday night or Saturday on a holiday weekend. I used to have a plumber that I knew, but he went off to Columbia and I can't find him anymore. HomeServe sent a plumber, and he came the next day. Somebody called me Friday night and said, "Hey, you think you can wait till Monday?" I said I could. It was not a tremendous deal, but then the company called me up Saturday morning and said, "We have a technician out there where you live if you want somebody to come." I said, "Yeah, send them over now," then I didn't have to even look at the thing.

I have a couple of policies with HomeServe. I've had them for a few years at my house and even before that, when I owned another house. It's good for the price. I get a yearly AC or heating checkup, and it used to be we couldn't get an appointment sooner. Make the appointment in June, and you get an appointment in October. This year was no big deal though. I got relatively new equipment, so it's nothing going to be wrong with my stuff anyway, but they still come and do their thing. I'm happy with it. I've recommended them to other places.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2022

HomeServe is well worth it and before this last call, I was very happy with their contractors. They were very nice, polite and did good work. But this last time I had a plumbing problem, I had to make many calls before somebody ever picked up their phone. That has never happened before with HomeServe. Also, I told the person I was speaking with to make sure that the techs have shoe covers and masks. They showed up, rang the doorbell and I opened the door, and they didn’t have masks or shoe covers on. So, I asked the guy if they had those. He said he would go back to the truck. So, I closed the door and came in the house. When they came in, I noticed that they had on masks but I didn't look down at their feet to see if they had on shoe covers until we got upstairs in the dressing room and there they both were standing without shoe covers.

Shoe covers are very important to me. When I leave home, I spray my shoes and leave them in the garage before I come in the house. I don't want all of that stuff you see in the street in my house, on my carpet. The guys said they didn't have any shoe covers and I said that he should have told me. I would rather have him tell me they don't have any and then come back the next day with shoe covers. I don't wear shoes in my house and everybody else that know me when they come here know to take off their shoes especially with the virus out there and everything that you see on the street.

Original review: May 13, 2022

HomeServe’s services have been great. It's real easy to use. The guys that come out have been really helpful. HomeServe has been working out well. I'm glad I got it. Someone recently came out for the plumbing thing. I was notified by my water service provider that we had a leak. I didn't really know how to isolate it. So, I got in touch with HomeServe so they could come out and figure out where the leak was at. I was told that they didn't go inside to check, but they would check outside and let me know if they would see anything. When the tech looked at the meter, it wasn't continuously running. So, it didn't really show that it had a leak, but it's kind of an intermittent thing. He said, if that’s the case, it’s most likely something with the toilet leaking periodically. He explained how to check to see if my toilet flaps, and if they’re allowing water to seep through occasionally.

I watched the video on how to replace them. It does look like we do have leaks in our toilet. Now, I just had to figure out what kind of flaps I need to buy, and then try to replace them myself. The tech was pretty helpful. It would have been nice if he could have isolated it himself, but he explained how to put dye in it and then check it later, to see if the water with the dye flowed into the toilet bowl. I understand he can’t spend all day waiting for each toilet. So, it worked out. I was fine with how he explained it, and the solution for it, too. I was okay with doing that myself. Overall, HomeServe is great. The website is great. It shows all the different services they provide. I’m more of a visual person. So, it would be good if there was like a video.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

We signed up for the water heater program and I got charged like $4 a month. You could use it for 30 days. About 35 days after I signed up, the pilot light on the water heater went out, and it was a connecting service. So, that's the positive thing. I didn't have to pay for the service call. When the contractor did call that day, their system was down. So, they had to do everything by hand. I told them I live in Murrieta, and they automatically thought it's Marietta, Georgia instead of Murrieta, California. They did tell me that they contacted somebody in California or in my area, and then they said they would come the same day between 3:00 and 7:00. The guy showed up at 7:15 because we were the last one on the route, and there was traffic. He fixed the thing right away. It didn’t take him very long. He was very good. He knew what he was doing.

When I did the claim, I got disconnected several times with the HomeServe number I called. The numbers that are on the paper are worthless. I got a recording, I put in my street address, and it said it didn't match. Then I tried the other number that’s on the back, and I got a recording, I got transferred, and then I got disconnected. I tried it again, and I got transferred and got disconnected. So, those phone calls never went through. So, then I went on my email and I found the number and I got through. The person I spoke with gave me another number to call so, now, I have two numbers just in case I have to call again.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2022

I had a problem the latest time that I did a claim to HomeServe. It took four people before the problem got fixed. The sink was clogged, so they sent the guy out here. He started running the snake. He said, “I can’t run the snake. You need a jetter.” So, a piece was broken too. The second person came out and said, “I can’t jet it because he broke a piece. And now I have to order a piece.” I was like, “Well, okay.” The next day, he kept saying, “The piece wasn’t in. The piece wasn’t in.” Then, the third guy came out.

He said he was gonna cut my cabinet. I was like, “You’re gonna cut my wall? How big is it?” “Oh, it’s gonna be a small cut.” He proceeded to cut the wall all the way down. He stood there and said, “I’ve never seen a problem like this before.” Then he was like, “I can’t fix it.” And I said, “Why?” When he opened up the wall, he said, “Your pipe is leaning, and so I can't change the whole new pipe.” I said, “Well, that's fine. Would you just snake it?” He was like, “No. Can’t snake it either.” I said, “Would you jet it?” “Nope. Can’t do that either.” I said, “So, you’re gonna just leave it like this and put the piece on?” He said, “Yeah. ‘Cause you got plumbing damaged.” He called the home structure damaged. I said, “Let me tell you something. There is four pieces up there, and one of them is damaged, one 2 x 4. So, don't tell me that.” He was like, “I can’t do it.” And he left.

So, I called HomeServe and I said, “Don't send them back at my house ever again.” They sent the fourth guy out. His name was Richard. I love him to death. He came and just looked at it. He snaked the 25 feet out through my kitchen and the bathroom. It was fixed. Somebody called me from HomeServe and checked and made sure the fourth guy did it right. They made sure everything was right. So, I would recommend HomeServe because they did everything to fix the issue.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

Updated on 12/08/2022: I have had a serious water leak for over 1 month and each week, prior to their visit, they cancel and reschedule, always for a week or more in the future. I've been paying the local energy company for insurance, who uses HomeServ, for years only to receive this poor service. For over 1 month now I have been having to turn the water on/off at the meter on the street to avoid thousands of gallons of water to leak into my basement. It looks like I will end up paying a plumber myself.

Original Review: I have a water leak between the meter and the house which is covered. It took 3 weeks to detect where the leak was and schedule someone to come and fix it. The day they were to come there was an emergency and the equipment was sent somewhere else. Now, my next date is over 1 month from the date I reported the issue and the water leak is major, potentially causing issues with the foundation of my home. I have to turn the water on/off at the meter when I need to shower etc., which is very inconvenient and the water company only adjust the bill a certain amount. My last bill was $600.00. Better to pay someone than rely on this service. I will be cancelling!!!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

On 11/21/22 a technican from McAtee Plumbing and Heating came out to find out why the heating system was blowing out cold air. He begin to say it was the wiring, then maybe the thermostat and then the final word was my evaporator coils. He replaced a box on the wall and that was it. He closed out the ticket and said the issue was fixed, and that I needed my evaporator coil replaced. He said "the reason people go the cheap route when replacing ac units is money." I told him this unit was only about 3 years old and the installation was done by a professional. He closed out the ticket and told HomeServe the issue was repaired, it is not. That I had heat. Emergency heat only comes on when the temperature drops down to 30 or below.

I asked for a second opinion and was asked to call and schedule an appointment with McAtee. No one at McAtee after I left a message returned my call. The guy Zach at Home Serve told me we cannot call about a part to the manufacturer. I told him my ac/heat pump was covered under warranty and could have been ordered at no charge and replaced once it arrived. He told me the tech said it was the evaporator coils. I never asked Home Serve to call about replacing a part. The guy Zach was no help at all so I hung up. Last week one of the Home Serve people left me a message saying I was trying to make a deal with the McAtee HVAC tech.

I do not need to make no deals because my unit is under warranty and I pay them for warranty service. The technician wanted me to call his personal phone instead of the warranty company once I received the part. That I was not going to do. Because I felt he wanted to charge me outside of the warranty company service I pay for. I have decided to get a second opinion on my own as I do not believe it is the evaporator coils. My heat was working last year with no problem.

Some of the representatives at Home Service do not care and will not take time to listen to the customer. I now will be looking for another home warranty company. When my refrigerator went out they had to send three people to repair it and I was told they have few technicians in their list for repairs. This is unacceptable. The end result is the tech left me with emergency heat and did not find out why cold air is blowing out of my ac ducts.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

I've been very happy with the plumbing policy of HomeServe and the one for the internal pipes has recently gave me value. I found the information I needed to make the claim and I called it in. The process was very simple and I had to have more than one visit because they have a limit of two per visit. But that's just how the system works. So, it was all convenient and everything worked out very well. My wife was with their last repairman and wanted to make sure that they got some good feedback. They were very professional and the warranty was something I'm glad I invested in.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

The people at HomeServe are extremely helpful. Sometimes, since we live out in the country, it's hard to find the technicians to do the job. But usually, they come through. Most of the techs who come out are good and there are some that are a little bit questionable, but you got to take what you can get. Recently, I had an issue with the commode and I wasn't pleased with the technician that I got. He replaced the ballcock assembly in the commode and he did it very quickly. But he didn't do it right. Other than that, HomeServe's service has been great.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

It's been really easy to submit a claim and they provide a good service at a reasonable price. They usually respond really quickly and they use good contractors. The contractors are knowledgeable and they provide good quality services. I had a plumbing repair done and the contractor was really professional. They performed the job really quick.

HomeServe Company Information

2003
      601 Merritt 7, 6th Floor
      Norwalk
      CT
      www.homeserve.com

Media

VIDEOS & IMAGES

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: