2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties
ACCREDITED PARTNER

4.2/5 (664 ratings)

About HomeServe

HomeServe offers a variety of plans that cover electrical wiring, gas fuel lines, plumbing, cooling and heating systems. Depending upon where you live, costs for HomeServe plans have an average starting price of $5.49 a month. Combination plans are also available if you want to mix and match. You can cancel within 30 days for a full refund. Call customer service 24/7. There are no deductibles, and covered repairs have a one-year guarantee.

Pros

• Individual system coverage available
  • One-year workmanship guarantee
  • Low-cost plans

Cons

• No appliance coverage available

Bottom Line

HomeServe specializes in providing coverage for your home’s essential systems, including electrical, plumbing and heat and air. While the company doesn’t offer appliance coverage, its systems coverage is thorough and affordable.

Top HomeServe Reviews

Verified

When I called in for service, I was helped right away. I was contacted the day by the plumbing company, and they came out the day after and cleared my drain. Angel was polite, hel...

Verified

Repairman came the same day we called. He was very efficient and thorough. He checked our hot water heater which is outside. Then he came inside to make sure we had hot water in t...

HomeServe plans and coverage

HomeServe plans are available to cover the core systems in your home. You can choose to protect individual systems or multiple systems with a combination plan for total protection:

• Plumbing plans: Get coverage for your interior plumbing and drainage system, exterior sewer or water service lines that connect the home to the municipal or utility provider.
  • Electrical plans: Maintain exterior electrical equipment, interior wiring and electrical surge protection.
  • Heating and cooling plans: Protect your cooling system, heating, gas fuel line and water heater.
  • Combo plans: Roll all plumbing, electrical or heating and cooling coverage options into one plan, or combine all three under the Interior Protection Plan or Premium Home Protection Plan.

Under the most comprehensive combo plan, the following items are covered:

• Exterior water service line
  • Water heater
  • Heating system
  • Cooling system

HomeServe cost

HomeServe plans start at an average of $5.49 a month. Because HomeServe offers so many individual coverage or combination plans, total costs vary by plan and by location around the country.

We requested a quote for a home in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and got the following pricing information:

PlanMonthly cost
Heating system coverage$10.99
Water heater repair and replacement plan$7.99
Electrical surge $1,000 coverage$3.99
Electrical surge $3,000 coverage$5.99
Prices quoted for Tulsa, Oklahoma, less applicable sales tax. Prices may vary by location. Visit HomeServe’s website and enter your zip code to receive pricing for your location.

HomeServe claims

Getting systems serviced by HomeServe is a straightforward process, with representatives available 24/7, including holidays, to take your call and dispatch a technician to your home to make the needed repairs.

1. Submit a repair claim by calling HomeServe’s 24-hour hotline.
  2. HomeServe will send a licensed and fully vetted local technician to your home.
  3. The technician handles covered repairs.

HomeServe has a one-year workmanship guarantee on all covered repairs.

HomeServe FAQ

Does HomeServe require a home inspection?
No. HomeServe does not require a home inspection before beginning a home warranty contract.
Can I pick my own service technician?
HomeServe will provide the technician. HomeServe works with a network of local, licensed and insured technicians. Working with its technicians affords policyholders a workmanship guarantee.
Is there a limit on repairs?
Depending upon the chosen contract, there may be repair or dollar limits during the annual contract period. For example, HomeServe advertises that homeowners can receive up to $2,500/year per covered system, or up to a $10,000 maximum annual benefit for repairs. Your contract will have these details and is available on the HomeServe website.
Do I have to pay a service call fee if a technician comes out more than once on the same repair?
There are no service fees, and since covered repairs are guaranteed, there are no service fees for a technician to re-attend.

Is HomeServe worth it?

We recommend home warranties for people living in older homes who are not confident repairing items themselves or who don’t have a large savings fund for household systems emergencies. Getting coverage on higher-risk, higher-cost repair items is a good investment in securing the functionality of your home. We recommend HomeServe for its specialized coverage, its relatively low contract costs and its many plan options.

HomeServe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeServe?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

I signed up with HomeServe back in October last year. Signing up including the payment was pretty straightforward. You sign up online. But the follow-up part had been little bit awkward. I had to call the company to confirm I’m already part of the enrollment and find out where are the plan documents or T’s and C’s. It took a while for me to get there.

I had a call the very first time early this year on a Saturday night. The answering part is very quick and efficient. You can reach the operator right there and the communication about what would happen and what we would expect has been wonderful. However, I had to call back probably more than six times. It is probably a common practice in the industry that they have a bunch of contractors or third-party vendors they are affiliated with. They send a request to those people according to their preference or priority and it is upon them to call me back to set up the appointment and to confirm it. It was more of a waiting game on my end.

When the first vendor did not call back, I returned a call through HomeServe. I told them I hadn't received any phone call and asked them what was I supposed to do. Some of the representatives were quite honest to say, “Let me try myself and I’ll put you on hold.” It took longer than expected. He said, “I will call you back or give another hour or so.” Then another representative told me, “If they don't call you back, how about Monday or Tuesday?” In the end, Sunday around noontime, they reached out to a different vendor who was willing to come out to service. This was where things became so easy and straightforward. The vendor eventually came out and they did the work. It was a very simple declogging sewer line work. If you have the right tool, it's a piece of cake.

If I'm the one paying the vendor directly, it would be a different story. I have no idea how HomeServe is dealing with more preferred vendors and how the payment is going but I tend to believe they may not have any more interest to satisfy me as a customer due to the arrangement that was made between HomeServe and them directly. But I have no issue whatsoever with the service I'm getting. If the job is satisfactory, that's all that matters. That is what I got on Sunday so I'm happy with it. I will not hesitate to recommend to my friends. Even though they are not directly hired by me, they came out on a Sunday and did a wonderful job at least to complete it.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

Most of them were very knowledgeable. They took care of the issue. Might have left a hole or two in my walls, but at least the problem was solved. However, I wasn’t pleased with these particular guys. They left out, and they did something, and I knew that that wasn’t the issue. My husband took them downstairs. I hired a contractor because I was having problems with my sewer line. My basement is finished. If anything needs to be done, do it. I don't care about the finish. I care about functions. And they were like, “Oh, well, we got to do…” “Do what you got to do.” Nobody ever came back. Nobody said anything.

I had some other guys one time come out, and they had to cut the sewer line. This was in another home, and it was through HomeServe. They had to cut the sewer line, they do what they do. I already know they can't replace the wall and tiles. I’m not concerned about the finishing. I could get that done. I'm concerned about the function.

And now the guy told me he got the contractor to go in and do this stuff, and I have to pay for this. I was gonna call back and see if I could get some help because I’m paying HomeServe all this money. He said there’s a disconnection from my basement bathroom to the sewer line. Also, I have a sump pump, and all the rubbish goes into it and it’s just sitting there because there’s no connection for the sewer to go out. I knew it was something because we had this problem. I called HomeServe twice. The contractor came out, they went outside. They put a snake or whatever down in there, and they said they cleaned it. “Okay, but we still got a problem.”

I had HomeServe for years. Even in my rentals, I got them for the sake of my family just in case the landlord wanna get a ratchet and not do what they’re supposed to do. As long as I had them, I never had any problems until now. They came through. It was just a few problems here and there. And the contractors came, and they service it. Some of them are really knowledgeable. They tell me, “Okay, we’re doing this, but you need to do this. Or we’re doing this and this needs to be done.” When these other guys came out, they tell me nothing. I had to actually get somebody to come in here to tell me what was going on. Other than that, I recommend HomeServe to my friends. HomeServe covers a lot. It’s just now plumbing.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

HomeServe is great. They fixed my furnace and my air conditioner, and I didn't have a giant bill I had to cough up. I just pay the little fee every month. I've submitted claims three or four times for different things. When I call them up, they say somebody will contact me within two hours. Usually within 15 or 20 minutes, somebody calls. They'll identify themselves and tell me know who they are and where they're coming from. Then they will tell me however long it takes them to get from where they are to my house, which is usually like 10 to 20 minutes. They come and they're very professional. The people are very nice. They're very clean.

Now with the pandemic, they wear masks to protect me because I'm old lady, and I'm from high risk with diabetes and a heart condition. There's no question about wearing a mask. They come with the mask right on. With HomeServe, I don't have to wait for days for a contractor to come out. Sometimes, if you go through HomeServe, they come right away. The only that disappointed me was that I thought when I got the water in the water lines and drain lines, they would cover if there’s a leak underneath my bathroom sink. If the drain is rusted through and it's leaking, I thought it would cover that but it didn't. I wasn't mad about it. I just misunderstood that it covered the actual sewer lines, not the little drain thing under the bathroom sink.

With the money I paid them for the year, I've already more than got back for my furnace and my air conditioning calls. When an auxiliary heater in my garage broke, I called HomeServe and I found out that the warranty I had didn't cover that little heater in the garage. It had to have its own separate warranty. They did send somebody. He came and he fixed it and I paid for it. Then I called back and I got a warranty on that heating thing in the garage. So if it breaks again, I'll have a warranty on that too. I'm pretty well covered. It's always very good work and good people. If something happens again, they'll send them again. They don’t give me a hard time. So for the peace of mind and that I don't have to write out a check for $1,000, it's worth every penny.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

It's fairly easy to get the claim pushed through with HomeServe. We had a backup. The plumber came out but he couldn't get it. So, he had to call another one. Another one came up and he couldn't get it. Then they sent another team out. They ended up getting it. Then I had another backup that came up even before that go. I had another plumber come out that wasn't connected with Homeserve or Haynes. He suggested that I run the camera down the system.

I had an independent contractor. I paid over $500 for them to come up and run a camera. The pipe is about 10 feet out that has a deep dip in it. What happened, stuff built up in that area and eventually, it caused the backup. It may take a while to do it, but eventually, it does. I passed that on to Haynes. When that came out, I showed them that. They said there was no problem. I’d always have water in the pipes. I said okay. But then, I had another backup that came back out. They ran another camera down there. It was the same thing. They said it’s slow, but there was no major problem. They cleared it. Then it started backing up again.

Then they came out and ran another camera. They said I had a broken pipe, which I suspected that. They replaced a portion of the pipe, but it didn't replace the part where the dip was. About two weeks ago, I had another backup. I called them and the guy came out. At first, he couldn't get it ‘cause he had a little smaller snake. He called back and a guy came out with a larger snake. He went back to clear the line.

I was explaining to him the same problem I was having. I said it's gonna be back up again eventually. Haynes came out and they looked at it. Homeserve was calling another company ‘cause another company came out this Wednesday. They ran a camera down there. The same thing that I've been telling Haynes and my contractor that paid for, the problem was that dip in the pipe. They just confirmed everything that I had to say. They sent the paperwork to Homeserve.

HomeServe is going to replace that section of pipe, but they haven’t done that. I'm just praying right now I don’t get another backup before this occurs. But Homeserve seems very cooperative with me, and they’re very nice and very pleasant. But the problem hasn’t really been solved as of yet. I would recommend them because Homeserve is not doing the work themselves. They have contractors and they go by what the contractor says.

Original review: March 5, 2020

It's been years since I joined HomeServe. I got something in the mail. I've been with them for maybe about 10 years. Submitting a claim this time was great. The guy who came out was courteous and he fixed it efficiently. I've had two claims that were handled really well. They were small but the last two guys really did a good job. One of them was a leak behind the sink and one of them was with supply line problems, a leak going into the sink. Their contractors were courteous. When they ran into problems, they didn't try to put it off 'til another day. This last guy went right down and bought a part at Home Depot. And then my meter in the street wouldn't shut off so he advised me to get that fixed. As soon as they fixed it, they actually got out that day. I called back and he was out here and fixed it that same day. I was really impressed with that.

I had a big problem about five years ago though, and I’m still not satisfied with that. The first time the guy from Plumb Genius came, I had a leak in the drain under the house. There was water standing under the house. They came out but didn't have a sump pump and I didn't have one either. They told me it was my responsibility to pump the water out from under the house. I did that but I thought that was BS. They came back out and they said they found possum tracks under my house, so they refuse to go under the house until I capture the possum. I've never captured a wild animal before in my life but I have a grandson who loaned me a live trapper but all I caught was a really irate squirrel.

Three weeks later, they had finally agreed to come out and risk their lives and go under the house where there might be a possum. By that time, the problem had grown exponentially. Before that, there wasn’t feces in the water but after that, there was. It was my responsibility to pump it out. The guy that HomeServe used to contract said the company insisted they buy their own equipment, for one thing. They didn't provide them with a sump pump. This guy fixed it and it cost HomeServe $3,000. I had a guy that probably could have fixed it for a lot less than that and done a good job, and fixed it as soon as the problem arose.

But now, even with these many years later, I don't leave the vent grilles open and the fan. There's this stench that comes up from under the house. I guess that'll be there until I die and this house is passed on to somebody else. I feel sorry for that person, but there's nothing I can do about it.

After the initial deal, I didn't realize that there would be a problem like this. Once the leak was stopped and it dried up, there's always this problem. I will never use Plumb Genius locally either because they were just inept. The two guys that actually fixed it, they were good. Initially, if they had come out and fixed it, they had the equipment and they wouldn't have been afraid of the possum, it would have been fixed while it was just water from the washer or something like that.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

I had claim with HomeServe and the tech that they sent out didn't repair anything. He just came in, looked at the washing machine, and told me that I needed to get a larger hose. There was a leak where the pipe goes into the outflow and he said that when the water came out, it went into this little hole and it was supposed to run outside, but it was backing up. Then he was saying I needed to get a longer snake drain to put it down in there then that'd unclog it, and unlock it. And when that happened, he said I'd be okay. That was it and he charged me $79. That did not work our for me and I'm trying to understand what the $79 was supposed to be for.

But as far as HomeServe is concerned, they have been wonderful. They got my information, addressed the problem, gave it to a technician to help with the problem and it was someone who was in the area, which was what they're supposed to do. I have no problem with them because they contacted the technician and got him out there.

HomeServe response

Hi Robert, I looked into your account and I do see you have a Water Heater cvg with us. I will reach out to you to help dig a little deeper with this inquiry.

Braden

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I have had two awful experiences with Homeserve within 4 months the first one started in September 2020 and I was lied to whenever I spoke to someone, they would say someone would call me back at certain times and they never did or they would say someone was coming out and they didn’t and on one occasion I was actually told that I was lying and exaggerating things. I was left with no toilet to use so was using carrier bags inside a bucket as my toilet and nobody seemed to care, I was in tears and inconsolable on every call and the experience actually left me suicidal. This is no exaggeration and I lost over a thousand pounds in earnings as I work from home and because of this going on I couldn’t work. This experience finally finished on the 7th of January 2021.

The next experience started on the 17th of February. I rang homeserve at 11.50pm to say that I had a pipe leaking at the side of the boiler and I couldn’t find the stop cock and the water was coming through the ceiling, they sent someone out and he isolated the water so leaving me with no toilet, no heating and no water as I was told that they wouldn’t be able to mend the problem but someone would ring me between 7am and 10am the next morning to arrange for someone to come out that day as priority, nobody rang so I rang homeserve at 11.55pm and I was told that the job was booked in for the 21st of Feb I was gobsmacked and said no someone needed to come out that day so they went off and when they came back they said that someone would ring me back shortly to tell me when someone could come out.

I left it for half an hour and then rang back as I thought that half an hour was sufficient time to work out when someone could come out to me the person I spoke to said he would go and find out what was happening. When he came back he said that someone should be with me in about 40 mins (I was told this at 12.45pm). By 16.59 nobody had arrived so I rang homeserve again and this time I was told, "I’m really sorry something has gone wrong and you’re not actually booked in for this afternoon" (so at 12.45pm I had been blatantly lied to by homeserve) and the best they could do was to get someone out to me in the morning, I was crying and in a bad mental state by this time and said they could send someone out to do the repairs but homeserve just don’t want to.

I was left for 32 hours with no toilet, no heating and no water. I was using a bucket as a toilet and had lost money as I had work booked in but couldn’t do it and because this is the second time this has happened in the exact way as the first time it has left my mental health in a very fragile state and I’m now not coping with life yet again because of this company. To have a bad experience once is bad enough but for it to happen a second time in just over a month is inexcusable. I would warn everybody not to go with homeserve as they are very unprofessional and they make people ill.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

Overall my experience has been most positive, but this last series of cascading event certainly did not fit that description. I have not had a service call for several years before this January even though it is known that tree roots invade my sewer line routinely. However unless there is complete blockage your company does not provide service. This January when I called for water standing in my kitchen sink, provider said earliest service would be 24 hours: I was disturbed at length of delay but acquiesced. Then shortly before time for arrival provider advised service would be delayed additional 60 hours. Second provider broke a ptrap, without service over weekend. Third call resulted in repair to ptrap, however subsequently water leaked from under toilet and into tub downstairs. Yet another provider used a larger element to clear line to street, so hopefully system is working again.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

The service provided was absolutely outstanding!! The Gentlemen kept me abreast of the entire process, identifying the problem and what would be necessary to correct the issue. Additionally, the conversation with the gentleman was truly like therapy for me personally since due to my cancer I can't interact with people in our current COVID-19 environment. The gentleman has no idea how much I appreciate the fellowship. Please pass on my sincerest Thanks!!!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

They work with contractors who will do the minimum possible and when there is a big problem they find ways to avoid paying for it. In an emergency, you will need to find your own contractor or risk property damage. This year I spent $12,000 on a new water and sewer line that HomeServe should have paid for per their contract. They created so much stress and left us without occupancy for a week before we got our own contractors to do the job. Also beware: You are not the customer for any of their contractors who work directly for HomeServe and do not care about your needs.

HomeServe response

Angela, I am looking into your situation and I will be in touch with you very shortly to discuss this matter.

-Braden