HomeServe Reviews

Choice Home Warranty

Choice Home Warranty Reviews

View Plan

About HomeServe

HomeServe offers a variety of service plans to help protect homeowners financially in the event they need emergency home repairs. Its coverage includes options for plumbing, HVAC and electrical systems. The company also has combo home warranty plans. HomeServe partners with utilities and municipalities around the country and works with a nationwide network of technicians and contractors.

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • Repairs guaranteed for one year
    • Local, licensed technicians
    • Website provides lots of information
    Cons
    • Availability and costs vary greatly by location
    • May need multiple plans to get the coverage you want

Featured Reviews

Verified
    Philadelphia, PA

I use HomeServe when I need them. ...they follow through well. They were able to do everything that I called them for. I asked about some other things like appliances and if they ...

Verified
    Rego Park, NY

I've been using HomeServe for a couple of years. I have annual tune-ups and the boiler was broken a couple of times and every time, HomeServe has been very quick in responding and...

HomeServe coverage and plans

HomeServe offers service plans to cover repairs of three main household systems: plumbing, heating and cooling, and electrical. If you want to maximize your protection, combo plans are also available.

With each plan, you can choose the components you want to cover:

• Plumbing: Sewer or septic lines, exterior water service lines, clogged toilets, leaking supply line to your hot water heater and inside water pipes
    • Heating and cooling: Furnace and air conditioning, water heater, regulator valves, circuit boards, pilot burners and refrigerant leaks
    • Electrical: Electrical wiring, outlet, switches and exhaust fan

HomeServe’s combo plans:

• Appliance plan: Covers eight major appliances
    • Warranty Combo plan: Covers your appliances and 10 home systems
    • Premium Home Protection plan: Covers six home systems

Coverage options vary by location, so not all plans may be available in your area.

HomeServe cost

HomeServe plans start at $7.95 per month. Total costs vary by plan and location — provide your ZIP code to get the most accurate price.

We requested a quote for a home in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and got the following pricing information:

*Price quotes for Tulsa, Oklahoma, at the time of publishing. Prices and coverage may vary by location.

Discounts

Some plans include a 20% discount for your first year of service. You can also sign up for the company’s email newsletter and receive occasional special offers.

HomeServe coverage exclusions

Your coverage varies depending on what plans you select. It’s always wise to read the fine print on any warranty to give you a better idea of what’s included. Here are a few exclusions you may see in your contract:

• 30-day waiting period: You can’t make a service call within the first 30 days of purchasing coverage.
    • Negligence: If negligence by you or someone else caused damage, those repairs aren’t covered.
    • Unusual circumstances: Damages caused by war, pandemics, natural disasters and other unusual circumstances aren’t covered.
    • Correction of repairs: If you tried to fix something yourself first, the cost of correcting mistakes isn’t included.
    • Unlisted systems: Parts of your home that aren’t listed in the “What Is a Covered Repair” section of the contract aren’t covered by your warranty.

HomeServe claims and coverage limits

You can file a claim with HomeServe online or over the phone. This feature is also coming to the app, though it’s not available as of publishing.

Plan holders can call the emergency repair line to request help. Once you file a claim for an urgent repair, a service provider should be in touch within four hours. However, if it’s a less urgent repair, you may not hear back until noon the next business day.

When you file your claim, you’ll need your HomeServe ID. You must describe the problem you’re having and share your availability so the company can send out a service provider.

You can track the status of your claim using the company’s online tracking system.

Coverage limits

The coverage limits for HomeServe’s plans vary depending on which plan you have. Check out example contracts on the company website for more information on all of HomeServe’s plans.

HomeServe FAQ

Is HomeServe legit?

If you’re looking for a home warranty to help cover unexpected home costs, HomeServe might be a good fit. The company offers flexible coverage options, so you can pick and choose to create a one-of-a-kind warranty that works for your home. Keep in mind that each plan’s costs, terms and availability vary greatly by location. You can enter your ZIP code on HomeServe’s website to see what coverage is available.

What is HomeServe?

HomeServe is a home warranty company that's been in operation since 2003. It offers various service plans to cover household systems and appliances typically excluded from homeowners insurance.

How does HomeServe work?

If you need to schedule a covered repair, you can call or request service from HomeServe online. The company will connect you with a local, licensed technician who can detect your issue and complete a repair.

What does HomeServe cover?

HomeServe offers various coverage plans for homeowners. Coverage options include plumbing, heating and cooling, electrical and combination plans.

Where is HomeServe available?

HomeServe warranties are available across the U.S. To see if you can get coverage in your location, enter your ZIP code on the company’s website.

Does HomeServe require a home inspection?

HomeServe doesn’t require a home inspection or proof of one.

Can I pick my own service technician with HomeServe?

HomeServe works only with its network of licensed technicians, which means the service person who comes to your home is qualified — but you can’t pick who it is.

Does HomeServe have a limit on repairs?

Some HomeServe plans have repair limits. However, these vary greatly by location and plan. For example, the Exterior water service line coverage has a $7,000 annual maximum benefit in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In Spokane, Washington, the maximum for the same type of plan is $12,000.

How do I cancel HomeServe?

You can cancel HomeServe by calling customer service, sending an email or contacting the company through your online account. If you cancel within 30 days of your start date, you can receive a full refund minus any claims paid. After that, you may cancel and receive a prorated refund.

HomeServe Reviews

Stars Rating

• 60%
    • 9%
    • 3%
    • 2%
    • 26%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeServe?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeServe?
      Profile pic of the author.
      Customer ServiceTechPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed June 7, 2024

5/2024. I live in a small town in Ohio. I have had to use my HomeServe Plan several times in the last few months. I had sewer back up in my basement about a year ago. I called Home Serve and had same day service. They actually had to use the router to remove tree roots from my sewer line. Fast forward to early this year and I again had sewer backup in my basement. Called and had same day service, come and router out my line. This was done every 3/4 months. Service was same day every time. Everyone I spoke with from Home Serve was polite, kind and helpful, as were the servicemen they sent. Then a week ago, I had back up again. I called and explained to the customer service, they called me back that I would have service 4 days later. I replied and send I cannot wait 4 days, I cannot use any facilities in my home. This second person said they understood and would see what they could do.

I waited and hear nothing, so I called a 3rd time. This lady was fabulous. She got busy making calls and had someone scheduled for that afternoon. She had to call around to other areas them what I had before, but she had people scheduled to come within hours. They were on another job, but called me and gave me an estimated time of when they would arrive. They were running late and called and kept me informed. They arrived and went to work. They had a camera and screen and showed that it was not my sewer line it was within my home sewer.

Long story, but they were excellent and after several hours everything was fixed. I could not be happier. "The Trenchless guys" were professional and got the job done. I am hopeful that they will be used on any future jobs at my home. A+ The Trenchless Guys, C for the first service rep I spoke with, F for the 2nd and A+ for the 3rd! I am so happy that I am in thus plan with Home Serve. I only wish they had plumbers and service people from my Tuscarawas County area rather than from Stark and Summit County areas. However, The Trenchless Guys would be preferred.

Customer ServiceTech

Reviewed Nov. 29, 2023

I have never had a warranty program impress me as HomeServe did in our recent gas line leak. The customer service was helpful, but we ran into issues finding the right contractor to do the job. The first company they sent out said they couldn't fix it, and the Homeserve customer service reps tried unsuccessfully to locate one of their providers who would be able to fix it in a reasonable amount of time. Once we were at a standstill and my faith in HomeServe was tested, I found my own contractor -- figuring the warranty program was a joke. Once job was completed, I submitted my documents and photos of the job to HomeServe and to my surprise, they reimbursed me and stood by their warranty of the gas line. I have never been more impressed with a warranty company. Would highly recommend to anyone at this point.

Pinned

Thank you for sharing your positive experience and being a loyal customer. We are here for you, keeping the customer at the heart of everything we do.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingCoverageTechPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Aug. 12, 2023

When we have a claim, we call up the insurance and tell them that we have a problem and what area it is. They look up our insurance to be sure we have it and then they tell us that they will call someone to get in contact with us as soon as possible. We had a problem in the front yard a couple of weeks ago with our water service line leaking and within an hour, a plumber called and said they were on their way. It's usually pretty prompt, especially if it's something serious. The contractor comes and looks at the issue, and then they call up the HomeServe and tell them what they found and how much it is and what they would need to do. All of that is going on with them rather than us. Then they come and tell us that we've been approved to get this done.

Sometimes, if it’s gonna be more, then they obviously have to talk to us about that it’s not gonna be fully covered. So there's a little of that going back and forth, mostly with the person that came to do the job and with the insurance. And then they do it. Then they give us an invoice saying what happened, what they did and it's done. It's pretty simple. In the beginning, I was a little nervous about how HomeServe does the claim because I was used to doing all that myself. But they have it worked out pretty well with the companies that they use. Everyone's been very good. The claims have gone through smoothly and we feel very comfortable with it now.

Customer ServiceTechPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed July 21, 2023

I had a very bad experience with the service from the contractor that HomeServe sent out. They sent me someone and told him, "We don't live in the building. Once you're there, call me half hour before you get there and I will make sure we have someone to open for you." When he came in, the guy had an attitude and he didn't wanna wait. He didn't give me enough time. I said at least half an hour before he came in. His time was supposed to be from 1:00 to 5:00 and he showed up 15 minutes before 1:00. Once he called me, I had to be there within half an hour. I told him that I was gonna send someone ASAP. But 10 minutes later, he called me and said that he was leaving. I told him that I was sending someone on the way but he left and he didn't answer the phone.

I called the company and they said they would call back. I called their supervisor and we were gonna call the driver to come back but they never called me back. I called HomeServe and I explained the situation. The lady was very helpful and she did an emergency call for some other company to come in. The tech called me right away and gave me enough time. I sent someone to open for him and he did the job. It was the sewer flooded in the basement and he was in a rush, and he just did the water. The water went down and he left the place a mess. He didn't clean up his job. Till now, it's a mess. Overall, HomeServe's service is very, very good. They've been very responsive. But they need to be more strict on the contractors that they send. They should hire better contractors.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed June 28, 2023

There were some things I talked to HomeServe's rep that by that time it was approaching 6 o'clock on a Friday. And I had a couple of things on my bucket list. I said, "Can y'all do this?" He said, "Yes. And it'd be under your contract.” I said, "Let us get settled from the other things we're going through. The in and out of towns and schedules, and we'll get back with y'all." But I would like to have him do the work. HomeServe's rates are very modest. But even if they were more, I would keep my service where it is. Because inside electrical things always go out. And that's not something I'm trained to do.

I had two inside electrical switches not work every time you flip them up. And the gentleman replaced those and was excellent. For the dishwasher, HomeServe gave me the runaround. But the gentleman was excellent. He was as cordial as he could be. If we have anything else, I would request him. I was very satisfied. This happened on a Thursday. And he was able to get out later that afternoon. I got a text. HomeServe said he would text me. They thought he could get out late that afternoon or first thing in the morning. But he texted me 45 minutes prior to getting to the house, which a lot of them don't do. And he was on time. He was one of those guys that did it by the book. If I’d want to run a quick errand, my office is five minutes away. And it was easy to run down to my office. I was very pleased.

Customer Service

Reviewed May 23, 2024

I had an exterior water line policy with this company. I received a telemarketing call from "Cassidy" about adding services to my policy. When I told her I was not happy with the service I received previously, she just hung up! Calling into their call center I was transferred 4 times and the person that finally took my cancellation did not care about my frustration and said, "I am just doing my job." I'm done with this company.

Resolution In Progress
        Customer ServiceCoverageRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed May 21, 2024

They're billing department is absolutely horrible. They double-billed me twice. I have been on the phone for hours with them and now they're billing me again on my credit card because they don't know what day it is. Never allow them to put you on automatic renewal which I didn't even know I was on. I went to renew my coverages and added some more and now I'm being double billed. I am so upset right now. I want my money back and I really think the Attorney General should look into them.

CoverageRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed May 20, 2024

I paid for repair coverage and HomeServe does not offer any refund of money if fixes required do not fall under that repair coverage. I asked for a refund of payments I completed this term and was my request was refused. All that money over the years for nothing.

Refunds & Payouts

Reviewed May 16, 2024

HomeServe double billed me and refuses to give me my money back. I have spoken to at least 4 people at the company and no one will tell me when they will refund the money. 1 said 2 days, 1 said 10 days, 2 don't know at all. I paid my bill in March, 2024 for the year and they billed me again in May 2024. They said 100s of people were double billed and won't refund the money. The American Bar Association said overcharging is "criminal" and "unethical". My credit card company is investigating. Why are companies allowed to do this?

Profile pic of the author.
        CoverageTechRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed April 20, 2024

By far one of the worst companies to deal with, instead of finding a way to cover the repair the do the complete opposite. Read the fine lines of the contract, especially HVAC SYSTEM. They send contractors to make sure that you pay for the repairs out of pocket, but collecting high monthly payments without paying for repairs, BE AWARE.

Quick and easy. Find a home warranty partner now.

HomeServe Company Information

2003
          601 Merritt 7, 6th Floor
          Norwalk
          CT
          www.homeserve.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: