2.11/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

This company pays a monthly fee to participate in the ConsumerAffairs accreditation program and we may receive compensation for any referrals.

HomeServe Reviews

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I moved in May 2019 from a house to a rental. When I turned off utilities I asked Dominion Energy to cancel any add on warranties they had sold me. I was told the cancel automatically. In Nov. 2019 I get a letter from Dominion Energy about my new policy with HomeServe at new address. Since I rent I am not responsible for repairs and never signed up. It seems HomeServe never cancelled then moved policy to rental address on their own. Both companies are denying negligence but this seems to be a HomeServe tactic which should be illegal and I plan to write about it extensively online.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

My heat went out on Friday night so I called HomeServe at 8:30 Saturday morning. I was given a name of a repair person and was told I had to wait for 4 hours to determine if/and what time the repair person would be available to fix unit. At 11:30 the repair person called me to tell me they could not fix my heat until Wednesday which was totally unacceptable. So I called back to let HomeServe know that Wednesday was unacceptable so they started searching for another repair person.

In the meantime we called our OWN repair person and they came out within 30 minutes figured out what the problem was and was ready to fix it but they didn't have a contract with HOMESERVE. So we could have had heat around 1:30 that afternoon but NO we had to wait until one of their repair people was available which was NOT until WEDNESDAY. They had NO OTHER repair people who had supplies on hand but yet they are supposed to be the HOME WARRANTY people that fix stuff when they break! I purchased this warranty through my local utility company but THIS company is HORRIBLE! I am dropping them as soon as I can find another Home warranty company.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

After paying months and months of service plan I called HomeServe to repair my AC. They have so many fine Terms and condition. Basically They don't cover anything. Their basic Goal is to sell you new Ac system. Finally I had to hire my own Ac Tech and paid extra to repair my AC. HomeServe did not repair. Please please Never ever get their warranty. They will not cover anything. DO Not Waste time and money. Useless.

HomeServe response

We are in receipt of the complaint filed by the customer and regret to learn of her dissatisfaction. We have reached out to the customer to resolve the issue.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

I had been a paying customer of Home Serve for over two years and called for service due to a leaking hot water heater. I waited two days for the service visit only to find out Home Serve only offer "repair" services for hot water heaters, not replacement. In my experience most all hot water heater problems are caused because the tank is leaking and cannot be repaired. So, I had no coverage and had to pay my plumber nearly $800 to replace the heater. Ironically, Home Serve shows a leaking hot water heater in their advertising material which is grossly misleading. When I called to cancel I was told that it was my fault that I did not fully read the coverage contract. And, while that is true, most people do not read the fine print when the pictures present a far different impression showing the prevalent problem which IS NOT COVERED. Stay away from this huckster firm.

HomeServe response

We regret to learn of this customer's dissatisfaction. We have contacted the customer to offer assistance.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

Beware! Do not join HomeServe utility insurance in Virginia and neighboring states nor use Clean Air technologies out of Richmond, Ava. Homeserve was originally with Dominion Energy. I received excellent service from dominion energy insurance on all of my plans. Homeserve is totally different. Stay away from them. All you have to do is read the most recent reviews to see how dissatisfied the customers are.

I have low water pressure in the masterbath toilet and sink. The first 2 "Plumbers" from clean air technologies said it was debris that had built up on the pipes and it was gone after they flushed the toilet. However, the low pressure and gurgling noises remained so I called homeserve who sent a 2nd "Plumber." he was 1 1/2 hours late; double parked in the street; carried no tools; and was there for one minutes. He said something about having to check the pipes but left with the toilet still not working correctly.

When I called homeserve to complain that it was obvious he was not going to repair the low pressure issue, they said my claim was being denied because the problem was within the toilet (a valve) which was not covered by the plan. Neither of the two groups of "Plumbers" really assessed the issue and neither came up with the same resolution to the problem. Additionally, if there is low water pressure with the hot and cold water in the sink, how is this controlled by a valve in the toilet?

It is obvious from my experience as well as others this company is a scam. When I initially called homeserve to see who is on their list of plumbers, I was given two names of companies, neither of which I had ever heard. Previously when dominion had the program, the companies were well-known and reliable companies in the Richmond area. When talking to the manager of homeserve, he could not provide me with a resolution no matter how much I tried to clarify the misinformation he had. Run away from any emails you may get asking for your subscription. Right now I get a letter a week asking to join their water heater plan. Throw this junk away!!!

I have been a member of this program for at least 6 years. That's about $6,000 of payments made for the various plans I have. As someone else states, put this money in a savings account rather than wasting it with this horrible utility insurance company and pretend-to-be-plumbing company, clean air technologies of Richmond.

HomeServe response

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeServe?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

On 10/11/2019 I contacted Homeserve in regards to our dryer not working. We have a minor in the home and need to wash and dry clothing as needed. I provided the information requested via email and requested that I receive confirmation that the email was received, and when someone would come to our residence. It has now been two weeks and no one has contacted us or came to our residence. I reached out twice via telephone in an attempt to rectify this issue to no avail. I was last informed by a customer service representative that parts for our dryer were ordered and we would have to wait until the parts came in.

I called again today and spoke with customer service representative Michael, whom informed me today (2 weeks later) that the part is unavailable and we will have to wait an additional 30 days for a check. It is unfortunate that two weeks have passed without any follow up, and subsequently to be told we have to wait an additional 30 days. At this point we should not have to wait 30 days due to this lack of professionalism. I need assistance in regards to this issue and it remains unresolved.

HomeServe response

We regret to learn of this customer's satisfaction. HomeServe has expedited resolution of this claim and the customer should receive the check within 5 business days. We invite the customer to contact us if he has any additional questions or concerns.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Have been paying HomeServe for several years through our Appalachian Power bill without having any problems with our system. The System went out in September 2019 during a period of severe temperatures and needed repairs quickly. I received a bill for $1,689 of which nothing will be paid by HomeServe; not sure why we are paying for a service or coverage for something that will never be used. Plan to cancel this today and kiss the thousands paid to them goodbye! Don’t get this service, open a savings account and add to it monthly.

HomeServe response

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

Stay far away from HomeServe and or Service Line Warranties of America. I wish I could give them no stars. For 2 months I went thru 3 plumbers trying to get my main sewer line repaired. One plumber was completely lazy, he brought his kid with him on one of his visits. He would schedule my appointments on Thursday or Friday which delayed the process if he needed to return the following week. He would not answer his phone or return phone calls. He did not bring the necessary tools. I was strung along by HomeServe. The plumbers would tell me one thing and then Home Serve will say a completely different thing. It’s now obvious that HomeServe did not want to pay for the expensive repair. This company is very incompetent and do not honor their word. For 2 months I could not use my washing machine, wash dishes, bathe or take long hot showers and I had sewage backed up in my basement. I finally ended up paying $9,350.00 for the repair myself.

HomeServe response

We regret to learn of the customer's satisfaction. We have reached out to him and are working with him to resolve his concerns.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

In August 2018, I signed up a service contract for a year for $210, heating only. In august 2019 they sent me a renewal to sign. Since I did not use them or needed any service before, I decided not to renew the contract. However, since the company had on file my credit card account, they decided to help themselves renewing the contract with a 50% increase without my authorization. This is unacceptable and it turned me off. I called my Capital One credit card to dispute.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I have a service contract which includes my hot water heater. My Hot water heater was not working. I called HomeServe and the earliest emergency appointment they would proved was 4 days later. With two young children that is unacceptable. I had to pay an outside company to come and fix the problem that same day I called to report the issue. Totally unacceptable and I will not be renewing my service contract with HomeServe. They also said I was not eligible for reimbursement. Better off going with a private company.

HomeServe Company Information