3.8/5 (278 ratings)
$100
View Plans from Top Home Warranty Companies

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

About HomeServe

HomeServe offers a variety of plans that cover electrical wiring, gas fuel lines, plumbing, cooling and heating systems. The company also offers combination plans if you want to mix and match. You can cancel within 30 days for a full refund, and covered repairs have a one-year guarantee.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans near you

Pros

• Individual system coverage available
    • One-year workmanship guarantee
    • Low-cost plans

Cons

• All plans not available in all areas
    • Can’t choose your own contractor

Bottom Line

HomeServe specializes in providing coverage for your home’s essential systems, including electrical, plumbing and heat and air. While not all plans are available everywhere, its systems coverage is thorough and affordable.

HomeServe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeServe?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2022

After paying into the service for 3 years for heating and cooling coverage, I called in due to a zone not getting heat. They found someone who didn't come in until 3 days later to spend 20 seconds in the house and said requires a full replacement and they need to get authorization from HomeServe and they will come in the next day once the authorization is received. No calls from HomeServe for 7 days. Then I get the call this morning to state that they will not cover the issue 'cause it is not an immediate part of the boiler and it is excluded from coverage. I have no problem with they exclusion. I have a problem with the unresponsiveness in the middle of winter taking 7 days to tell me that they won't cover the repair. When I inquired about this before I cancel I was told that there is a minimum 48 hours approval time for anything regardless of if I am having a manageable issue or a major emergency where there is no heat at all.

I had a false sense of security with my coverage thinking that I could rely on them to address any issues I could encounter with my heating or cooling and was completely wrong. Don't make the same mistake I made. You are better off going with your local plumber even if you get ripped off. And just an FYI, after the repair was rejected, I was able to get the part from Home Depot and completed the repair myself under 5 minutes and $145 where the plumber asked for $800.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2022

I had a clog and the drain backed up in my basement just a bit. It happened on a Friday and the plumber cleaned it out on Sunday. That was excellent and it helped out a bunch. He was very helpful and explained everything to me. He did a great job. HomeServe helped me out really quickly. It was excellent service.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2022

I have the Homeserve Outside sewer/drain line and outside water line coverage. On October 24th I realized that I had a leaking drain line, water was seeping up between my patio slab and my homes outside wall/foundation and some was seeping into my basement next to a drain line so I contacted Homeserve. The initial response to the call was very good. They took down my information. It was in the evening and passed it along to their contractor in my area. The contractor Paramount PHI Group contacted me the same day and set up an appointment for a Technician to come out the following day. So far so good.

October 25 the Technician arrives and is professional and courteous but seemed to be inexperienced, after I explained the problem to her, water seeping up between my patio slab and sometimes around where my drain line went into my floor slab and out of the house she consulted with Homeserve and her supervisor and concluded without any further investigation that the leak was coming from the pipe in my floor somewhere and Homeserve told them to close my ticket based on the technician's belief that the leak may be coming from inside my foundation wall (and I did not have the inside plumbing plan).

At this time I wasn't absolutely sure whether the leak was coming from inside or outside my home's foundation wall either but Homeserve based on the technician's feedback chose to close the ticket without any further investigation and or diagnosis. Clearly they were trying to get out of covering the repair. So after the Technician left I dug up the area on the outside wall opposite where the drain came down my basement wall which is in a bare dirt corner of my patio. I hadn't even gone down two shovels full before I hit water. I continued digging until I had exposed a broken off section of sewer/drain line. At this point I called Homeserve back and informed them that I did indeed have a broken outside drain/sewer line that was under my Outside sewer/drain line plan. They re-opened the ticket and I was then contacted by the contractor who scheduled a second technician visit.

October 28th the second technician arrives, I show him the broken drain line and hole filled with water. He then contacts Homeserve for permission to proceed, then him and Homeserve basically accuse me of breaking the line in another attempt to get out of covering the repair. After talking to a Homeserve representative and explaining that I only dug up the area to expose the line to see if the issue was outside my house or inside, they finally agreed that it was covered and said they would proceed with the repair.

October 31st another PHI tech Dereck arrives. I had him scheduled for Tuesday November 1st through PHI's receptionist but he called Monday Oct 31st asking if he could come in an hour, since I was already at work which is an hour plus commute from my house. I informed him that I was at work and couldn't be there in an hour but could leave early and be there at 4pm. He agreed and wanted me to call back when I left work which I did. I arrived home by 4pm but he didn't make it to the house until 5pm. We were rapidly losing daylight and after sitting in the van for 15 more minutes he got out a snake and video snake and brought it around to the patio.

Seeing the hole full of water he seemed confused as to what to even do and asked if I had a Shopvac to get the water out. I would expect a sewer/water line repair contractor to have some sort of water pump but they were asking me for a Shopvac. So I get my Shop-vac and get enough water out of the hole to expose the end of the broken off pipe, Dereck snakes it with a regular snake, finds it clogged somewhere under my patio or just beyond, doesn't do the video snake. He then says the Office will be in contact with me and he leaves.

I wait a few days for a call from PHI, they don't call so I contact them on November 4th asking when they are sending someone out. They call Dereck who says he needs to come back out and do the Video Snake and that he tried to contact me to set it up which isn't true. I have his number in my phone from the previous call. They make a new appointment for November 7th and Dereck is no show.

November 10th I call back to inquire on the status of my ticket and they now say they have a special snake head on order and when it comes in they will contact me to reschedule. I wait a week or so with no response and then call Homeserve to make a complaint on November 18th. They call PHI. Talk to Dereck who now claims the wrong part came in (snake attachment) and they are waiting on the correct one. I wait a while again with no word from PHI.

November 30th once again I call PHI for an update. They contact Dereck again and say he will be out that day or the next day December 1st. Again Dereck does not show, my wife was home both days and no one from PHI came by. So here I am. It's now December 8th. The ground will be starting to freeze soon and they haven't even determined the scope of my repair let alone started it. I have zero confidence in the contractor's ability to show up let alone actually be able to repair my broken drain line. But Homeserve does not allow you to select your contractor so you are stuck with complete and utter incompetence in some cases with not recourse.

Frankly at this point besides cancelling my coverage with them I am seriously considering hiring an actual competent Septic/sewer line repair contractor and taking them to small claims court for the cost of the repair and my legal fees. That and contacting my water sewer utility who sent me their literature in the first place to file a complaint. This experience has been utterly abysmal, do not buy Homeserve Plans as they will do everything they can to avoid paying for your repair and at least some of their contractors are incompetent, that is if you can even get them to show up.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

I have been waiting for 3 weeks to have my electrical outlets fixed. Appointments are made but no one shows up. One person did show up but I was told could not work on aluminum wiring. My 75.00 service fee is not being refunded saying at least someone came out. They were unable to get a hold of their other service providers, either they were not returning HomeServe's calls or were not answering their phone. After making several appointments which were no shows, being promised my issue had been escalated (twice) and to expect a call back from a supervisor, none was ever received.

My call was disconnected twice and once I was able to get through to cancel my service I was told they have no way of sending me a cancelation notice. I am currently waiting once again for a manager to call me for an exception to reimburse the 75.00 fee I paid for services NOT RENDERED and to send a notification, but have absolutely no confidence or expectation for receiving one. So I TOTALLY disagree with the ratings here at Consumer Affairs and have also reported this incident to the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

If there’s a problem with the pipes, HomeServe fixes it. The contractor's work ethic is fine. But HomeServe has an issue with the blockage, which we've been having. And it took multiple repeat in orders for them to finally send a camera. They just did the scope yesterday. But if they did the camera, why do they have to come back and use it again? If you have to call the sewage company to come twice within two months, that should automatically be that you put a camera in the lines to see what's going on. It shouldn't be that the homeowner has to deal with backing up poop, piss and toilet paper throughout the house and the stink for months and months when they could have addressed it. Who likes to live in a house like that? They acted like the camera cost more. It was right there on the truck.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2022

Don’t use this company!!! I called Homeserve about my 91yo mother’s sewer that was backing up into her shower. Their policy is to have someone out in 24 hours. No return calls from 12-1 to 12-3. They finally emailed me after 10am, Saturday. I had already contacted a plumber who was there at 0830, as she had ** in the shower for three days!!! They will NOT reimburse her because I didn’t go with who they had contracted with. This is horrible!!!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2022

The process was very easy. The reps and the contractor were very good. The work done was excellent.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2022

I love the service. I absolutely loved the techs too from Thomas & Sons. The service is wonderful. If the techs are not right, Mr. Thomas comes out himself. But I put in a request last week and I didn't get anyone. So, I assume there was a miscommunication.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2022

We used the warranty two and a half years ago when we had a water main leak. Everything was fine. But my last experience with them was horrible. I called them on a Saturday, and we didn't actually get the fix done until the following Thursday and they knew that we had a leaking hot water heater. I kept asking to talk to a manager when I called and I would be put on hold. Then the lady rep would say that the manager said I need to talk to someone in the cost analysis department but no one would call me back. So we lost a whole day because I was waiting to talk to somebody else.

We were given the runaround and passed to a company. That company gave us an estimate that seemed high. When I asked HomeServe about it, they wouldn't give me a breakdown of what we were being charged for. The contractor's office couldn't give it to us either saying that HomeServe doesn't allow them to. I asked about having another contractor come and they told us that would make our out-of-pocket expenses go up. I said, “Well, then I don't want to do that.” But they did it anyway. They pulled the job from the first company and sent somebody else and our cost went up by $250.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

Updated on 12/08/2022: I have had a serious water leak for over 1 month and each week, prior to their visit, they cancel and reschedule, always for a week or more in the future. I've been paying the local energy company for insurance, who uses HomeServ, for years only to receive this poor service. For over 1 month now I have been having to turn the water on/off at the meter on the street to avoid thousands of gallons of water to leak into my basement. It looks like I will end up paying a plumber myself.

Original Review: I have a water leak between the meter and the house which is covered. It took 3 weeks to detect where the leak was and schedule someone to come and fix it. The day they were to come there was an emergency and the equipment was sent somewhere else. Now, my next date is over 1 month from the date I reported the issue and the water leak is major, potentially causing issues with the foundation of my home. I have to turn the water on/off at the meter when I need to shower etc., which is very inconvenient and the water company only adjust the bill a certain amount. My last bill was $600.00. Better to pay someone than rely on this service. I will be cancelling!!!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

On 11/21/22 a technican from McAtee Plumbing and Heating came out to find out why the heating system was blowing out cold air. He begin to say it was the wiring, then maybe the thermostat and then the final word was my evaporator coils. He replaced a box on the wall and that was it. He closed out the ticket and said the issue was fixed, and that I needed my evaporator coil replaced. He said "the reason people go the cheap route when replacing ac units is money." I told him this unit was only about 3 years old and the installation was done by a professional. He closed out the ticket and told HomeServe the issue was repaired, it is not. That I had heat. Emergency heat only comes on when the temperature drops down to 30 or below.

I asked for a second opinion and was asked to call and schedule an appointment with McAtee. No one at McAtee after I left a message returned my call. The guy Zach at Home Serve told me we cannot call about a part to the manufacturer. I told him my ac/heat pump was covered under warranty and could have been ordered at no charge and replaced once it arrived. He told me the tech said it was the evaporator coils. I never asked Home Serve to call about replacing a part. The guy Zach was no help at all so I hung up. Last week one of the Home Serve people left me a message saying I was trying to make a deal with the McAtee HVAC tech.

I do not need to make no deals because my unit is under warranty and I pay them for warranty service. The technician wanted me to call his personal phone instead of the warranty company once I received the part. That I was not going to do. Because I felt he wanted to charge me outside of the warranty company service I pay for. I have decided to get a second opinion on my own as I do not believe it is the evaporator coils. My heat was working last year with no problem.

Some of the representatives at Home Service do not care and will not take time to listen to the customer. I now will be looking for another home warranty company. When my refrigerator went out they had to send three people to repair it and I was told they have few technicians in their list for repairs. This is unacceptable. The end result is the tech left me with emergency heat and did not find out why cold air is blowing out of my ac ducts.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

I've been very happy with the plumbing policy of HomeServe and the one for the internal pipes has recently gave me value. I found the information I needed to make the claim and I called it in. The process was very simple and I had to have more than one visit because they have a limit of two per visit. But that's just how the system works. So, it was all convenient and everything worked out very well. My wife was with their last repairman and wanted to make sure that they got some good feedback. They were very professional and the warranty was something I'm glad I invested in.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

The people at HomeServe are extremely helpful. Sometimes, since we live out in the country, it's hard to find the technicians to do the job. But usually, they come through. Most of the techs who come out are good and there are some that are a little bit questionable, but you got to take what you can get. Recently, I had an issue with the commode and I wasn't pleased with the technician that I got. He replaced the ballcock assembly in the commode and he did it very quickly. But he didn't do it right. Other than that, HomeServe's service has been great.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

It's been really easy to submit a claim and they provide a good service at a reasonable price. They usually respond really quickly and they use good contractors. The contractors are knowledgeable and they provide good quality services. I had a plumbing repair done and the contractor was really professional. They performed the job really quick.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

I've used HomeServe a few times. It's very good. I like it and I like to recommend it to anybody. I'm gonna recommend it again to the people I know who own properties. A pipe in the ceiling broke. A plumber came right away and fixed it. Last year, I used the plumber for a sink in the kitchen. They fixed a pipe as well.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2022

Last week, the refrigerator upstairs was really cold and downstairs, it wasn't as cold. Then this week, the washing machine was leaving the water soap and the dryer doesn't have a cable. We requested HomeServe for service and the tech was on time. He called before coming and was very respectful. He was knowledgeable as well. The refrigerator took a good 45 minutes to fix it and it's working great now. He didn't fix the washing machine and the dryer but he explained the problems with them which makes a lot of sense. I would recommend HomeServe for anybody who owns a home.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

We had a leak under our sink and we had a good plumber come. The guy was very nice, he knew what he was doing, and he fixed it. We had one previous repair before that and the guy who came out also knew what he was doing and fixed the clog. So far, HomeServe sent good people and we didn't have to pay anything once they were here.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

Some of the techs have been good, while others are negative. I had a drainage problem. The first guy couldn't fix it. He said something about the pipe. But the second guy was able to fix it. Recently, the main water valve was leaking. So, the techs had to replace the valve. They came out the next day. They were good and flexible. The only thing was, they had a struggle with some of the paperwork. It took me a couple of days. I will keep HomeServe for a few years.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

We are in the process of selling our home and during the inspection, it was discovered that the sewer line need a repair. They refused to cover it/repair it because it was not an active backup. They would not send us a copy of their terms and conditions. These people are crooks. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

The first time I used HomeServe, my basement was backing up and Mayes Plumbing came out and unstuck it. It didn't work, so they had to come back out and do it over again. So far, so good, except the people who came said they were gonna email me a bill, but I never got one from them. I should have gotten a copy of my bill so I can know how much I use.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2022

HomeServe response to service calls is ridiculous. I have the Premium subscription but repairs to my appliances takes anywhere from 10 to 19 days. Meantime I spend money at the Laundromat. Remember they work with 3rd party contractors so if you call to complain they'll tell you to call the Contractor, there is nothing they can do to help. Currently I called for a dryer repair on the 19th. I was informed today that the servicemen will come on the 31st. Really? And when they come all they do is find out the part you need and order it which takes another 5 to 7 days. HomeServe.. drop serve from your name.

HomeServe response

Good Afternoon, Your complaint has been issued to a Case Manager for review. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

HomeServe is a good service. I was looking for something like this, who can stand by next to me once I need the home service. It's affordable. That's why I bought the plan from HomeServe. They offered me more than one product. I just had one claim and it went smooth. People should use HomeServe and take advantage of it.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2022

HomeServe wanted us to wait a week for their plumber. We could not. They did not reimburse for the outside line because there were no pictures taken while it was dug up (pouring rain). They only paid for the inside line connections. Less than $300.

HomeServe response

Good Afternoon, Your complaint has been assigned to a Case Manager. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2022

I was not pleased with the overall attitude of the plumber that cleaned out my kitchen pipes. I would ask him a question, and he would talk down to me. Of course, my thoughts of why the plugged-up pipe could have happened that way so he said. He kept saying to stop putting grease down my pipes. I do not just put grease down my pipes in huge quantities. He did not have a bucket, and at one point when he started auging out the pipe he did not put the bucket that I gave him under the pipe and grease went everywhere. He attempted to clean up the grease with not much success. I just hope that if I have a problem again that this plumber is not sent to me.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2022

We had a leak in our exterior water line and John Thatcher and Sons did the repair and the did an amazing job. Very easy to work with. I would recommend them for future use. Thank you also for HomeServe

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

I requested service for a plugged drain, and the contractor that came out was very attentive, on time, and courteous. You never know when they are backed up with calls, but this particular time, the time frame was very reasonable. We couldn't figure out what was going on, so they used a camera and we could see exactly what the issue was. I've had a similar problem in the past, and this contractor did the best job and solved the problem. They went from the roof, which previous contractors had not done. It was an improvement as far as ease of access and less mess in the house. They also used a water blaster instead of an old-fashioned rotary device, and that worked really well. They were a good team. It was a young man and woman, which was nice to see a woman out there working. I liked it.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

Started with gas leak Aug 26. It’s Oct 12 and I still have 1 line not repaired. I was shocked to hear I would owe $950 Plus because I had gone over the limit. I appealed and did get some reduced but things don’t add up to me. Be SURE to get a copy of your contract that you have with this company. And good luck.

Good Afternoon Ella,

We are sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we can improve. I can see you have been working with Erin to resolve your concerns. Please reach out to her with any additional questions or concerns.

Josiah

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

Homeserve was very prompt in assigning a contractor to our plumbing issue. The issue was a blocked bathroom sink. The contractor came once and applied a simple fix to free the blockage of the sink. However just two weeks later the same problem occurred and Homeserve was contacted again. Homeserve assigned the same contractor who came again and did a thorough assessment only to find the blockage deeper in the pipes behind the walls in the house. The contractor who repaired our plumbing was equally prompt and responsive and completed the job to our satisfaction.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

I have all the HomeServe coverages they offer. The reason is I am confident I will have help when needed and at peace that if a covered benefit, I won't be facing an unexpected high cost of repair. I prefer budgeting for premium costs versus being hit with a large repair bill at an unprepared time. I get immediate response when I call the help center and the repair service calls back in the time frame the help center tells me I can expect a call. The repair services have been professional and excellent in their work. It seems like Home Serve only contracts with quality businesses. I have used HomeServe many times and have never been disappointed with the process or with the repair services. I do recommend HomeServe and will continue my own policies with them.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2022

It's been three years since we've been with HomeServe, and the first time we had to call was recently. We had a power surge, the transformer blew and it caused things inside and outside the house to explode. The power came back up, but the issues were still there. The repair people came within 24 hours, and we were very happy. They had a great work ethic, and they were willing to help us with any questions that we had. So they're good. I told my mom about HomeServe. Having a home warranty helped us find somebody quick, who was qualified for the job. I trusted them too 'cause it came through the service.

HomeServe Company Information

2003
    601 Merritt 7, 6th Floor
    Norwalk
    CT
    www.homeserve.com

Media

VIDEOS & IMAGES

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: