Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
1.63/5

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

63 HomeServe USA Consumer Reviews

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

My mother bought into this scam at age 96, she died in July 2017 and HomeServe went into her bank account several months after her death and extracted $304.17 electronically. I have contacted them several times over a three month period and they have not yet returned the money to the estate. I will have to take legal action.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I have had a contract with HomeServe for many years. I was having trouble with drainage. I called HomeServe, who sent out Draingo company. The guy Justin ** came out---shined his phone camera under house and said that there was sewage under there. He then said he would let me know. A short time later HomeServe called hollering that they would not pay 800.00 dollars to remove the sewage. I got my flashlight and looked and no water. A little later Justin ** called and said he had a friend that could remove the sewage {there was none}. He even asked how much money I could come up with? He lied to HomeServe whereas they wouldn't send anyone else out.

HomeServe said I would have to find my own plumber which I did and found out the pipe was stopped up. My plumber didn't have a drop of water on him when he went under the house. He did when he took the pipe aloose. I was told to find my own plumber and I cancelled that contract with them. They listened to a lie from Draingo and wouldn't send someone else out to check what Justin told them. That was a week or two ago, but it still bothers me about the lying that boy did to HomeServe, because he couldn't make some extra money from HomeServe and me.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I called them on Sept 7th to do the annual winter tune up on my heating system. They said the earliest appointment they can give me is Jan 6th, 2019. I told them that was unacceptable and they agreed. I then asked to speak to a manager and they said no one was available. They took my phone # and said someone would call me back. Much to my surprise--no callback. I then called back to cancel the policy. The CSR asked what the problem was and I told her. She agreed that it was nuts that they wanted to come 4 months later to do a tune up and she checked the schedule. She verified there were no appointments open until Jan. When they did the tune ups they were usually here 10 minutes--so I don't think they were any good anyway. I paid $600 annually for this service--not anymore. I cancelled.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I purchased a boiler maintenance plan from HomeServe and they never have parts in stock. I usually wait 2 to 3 days to have a circular pump replaced. Their technicians are not trained properly. Just yesterday, a technician came to replace the circular pump. He left the pump disconnected and flooded my basement. I woke up to 2 inches of water in the basement. All the items in the basement are ruined; including the floor wall, door bottoms suck up the water. I called HomeServe and all I get is a technician will be there between 12pm & 4pm. No concern about my flooded basement or the damages. They say they will call me back with more info but never did. They need to pay for all the damaged items as well as the repairs. This is the worst company ever!!! Stay away from them.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

They should rename their company HomeScam. We are terminating our account with HomeScam. They are incompetent, hire low-bid contractors who don't return service calls, and really don't care about providing any level of customer service. A total waste of money. They left an 88-year-old woman with a sink filled with sewage for over 24 hours and now they tell me it will be another full day before I hear back from anyone? It is Labor Day weekend and this is a health issue. HomeServe will be reported to the Better Business Bureau, I believe it is nothing more than an elaborate SCAM.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeServe USA?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

This company is the worst company I have ever been associated with. It is sponsored by South Jersey Gas Company. The supplier of gas to my home. Keep in mind you must wait 30 days before the initial maintenance can be scheduled. I certainly understand that policy. I was told I had maintenance on all my equipment with a maintenance program. The call was recorded by them and you had to agree to the plans.

The process from the beginning... Well, it took me over 3 hours to join. It took 4 people to set the plans up. I thought they had it right finally. Wrong! I purchased the two plans as I have a large home with 2 A/C units so I purchased the basic plan and an additional premium plus plan which included maintenance and repairs on the A/C units, heating and water heater or so they told me it would. They were supposed to send the information in the mail, which was never received. I called and spoke with the representative and he assured me the literature about the plan was on the way. It has been over 45 days and nothing has been received from this company...

Well today I called to schedule the maintenance and it was surreal. I was put on hold for over 50 minutes being transferred (no exaggeration) 6 times, I wrote down all their names. End result... no appointments were made. I did get disgusted and talked with customer service and cancelled the plans. If they cannot make an appointment to maintain the units under warranty, they certainly will not be able to make an appointment to repair the units if necessary. End result, I called South Jersey Gas Company, cancelled my automatic payments and told them about the hassles I had been thru. Stir clear of this horrible company...

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

In three months, HomeServe couldn't manage to communicate with us whether our claim (underground pipe repair) was approved or rejected, and each time we called within that time frame, we received a different offputting response, conflicting statements, or just lies. After many intervening calls for a status, we were eventually told our claim was CANCELED. This, with NO NOTICE, and us still believing one representation that approval was still being discussed. I requested a copy of the contract/policy that would advise me of my rights and obligations but it has not yet arrived.

I asked for a copy of the plumber's estimate and I was told that HomeServe would only provide me with the amount ($1500) they would cover and the amount ($1126) I owe, with no explanation as to how that figure was determined and what the overall estimate was so I could obtain my own estimate that may be more affordable or even determine how my out-of-pocket was calculated. Even the plumber HomeServe had contracted with would not provide me with their estimate, stating they work for HomeServe, and not the homeowner. Why so many secrets??? This company is scandalous. No communication; no customer service; no coverage.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I'm a landlord and use HomeServe a lot and they are fine, occasionally good. But we have a new trend and it's that plumbers are scared of spiders. So now, HomeServe is requiring policyholders to hire a specialized exterminator anytime one of their plumbers is scared of spiders. This is outrageous. Tell the plumbers to wear a special protective suit if they are scared of spiders, don't put the burden on the policyholder - the policyholder has already paid - they pay premiums. The policyholder has already held up their end of the deal. Now HomeServe has to provide a plumber, when the coverage allows. If a plumber is afraid of spiders, that's too bad for the plumber. It should not be a problem that the policyholder is responsible for. How outrageous.

Original review: July 1, 2018

The process of getting my town to issue a permit for a water heater and a boiler required that HomeServe's master plumber coordinate the effort with the building inspector. Throughout this, I had to continually call him or his office to find out the status and effect the inspections. Most of the time my calls went unanswered. It was only after calling customer service on the 844 number was I able to get them to do what I was paying them to do.

Original review: June 12, 2018

My AC went out on 6/1/18. I called back on 6/2 to get an update. I was told they could not find anyone in my area and they had 48 hrs to find someone. I received a call exactly 48 hrs and was told someone would be out next day 6/4. Tech drove 1+hrs to get to my home. Tech came. Replaced one part. Still didn't work. He went outside and found I also needed some circuit board. He said he would call it in and the part would be in next day. It is now 6/12. I have call HomeServe every 2 days for an update. All I am told is part has not arrived yet. (I looked on many sites and I could get any part next day delivery.) Today I called and asked for a supervisor. I was told someone would call me back. 6 hrs later no call back. I think it might be time to go to small claims court to sue this company.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I am on day 5 waiting for a plumber to be sent to fix the leak in my water line to the house. Company says they're trying to find someone to send. I assumed they had contractors lined up who could respond quickly to a plumbing situation. Have called at least 6 times, told politely that they are working on it but no one has called me with updates or offered to reimburse me the cost to have the leak fixed by someone I can find. Big issue is no plumbing companies want to wait to be paid by an insurance company but HomeServe will not cover if the customer provides the plumber. Would never buy more coverage from them. I just hope I don't end up with a sinkhole from this leak.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Have had this policy for three years, never had a claim. Discovered a water line leak this past week. Called HomeServe. They sent a plumber out the same day. He dug up the line near where I'd seen a seep, found the leak. Couldn't repair it that night (needed materials not normally carried on his truck), but said he'd be back next day. We were without water overnight. Plumber appeared next day as promised and fixed the leak promptly (and, it appears, permanently). This one repair paid for, probably, 5-6 years of premiums.

Original review: May 24, 2018

When Dominion changed over to HomeServe there was no distribution of policy changes. They just took our money and when we needed them, refused to cover. They are also giving my daughter the runaround in Charlottesville because her renter (who has the Dominion account) bought the AC policy and now they will not honor it for the renter!!! I believe they seek ways NOT to make good on their policies! Can I give them ZERO stars???

Original review: May 23, 2018

Appliance warranty companies are risky as it is, since they lead you to believe your AC or furnace are "safe" but they only cover specific items. HomeServe (aka Home Emergency Insurance Solutions), however, is a cut below the others. For one, their mailers look like official utility-sponsored endorsements, misleading residents - like my 82 year old step-father - into thinking the company is working with the city. Worse still, when my step-father's old AC unit died, the HomeServe repairman told me the problem was not covered (surprise) and - get this - that even if the part was covered he could not replace it since they don't make them anymore. So HomeServe sold the old man a policy that they never intended to honor! And good luck getting anywhere with their customer service department. The "supervisors" were all polite, but did not return my calls and finally just told me no one "upstairs" will address the complaint. Wow.

Original review: May 20, 2018

The way they advertise made me feel safe. I have not called them once for a repair and it was covered, but a stopped up sink. The Valve inside my wall failed and they said this is a fixture. The first line in the coverage says valve coverage. They only cover $4.00 cut off valve. This is good to have until you have a problem. I have 5 plans with them. I would not recommend this to another person. This company promotes well, but they have a fine line for anything and the repair people know it. I read a lot of reviews and thought people were not reading the coverage. Not the case. Plumbing and Electrical you need to read carefully. Your husband can do what they cover.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I had a toilet stoppage issue. When I first contacted HomeServe about my issue, they ask me if I had a washer and if so was it also backing up. When I told them that it was not they diagnosed my problem over the phone without ever bothering to send out a professional to physically diagnose the problem. At that time I was told that I was not covered because the issue was inside and I was covered for the outside. I was also told that I should have gotten inside coverage. (Where have you heard that before). Their contract is so simple that it would be hard for anyone not to understand it. My contract simply says Sewer Septic line Plus, it does not specify outside or inside service. I do not believe that this company had any intention of honoring this contract but only to get money for as long as they could.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I have been a customer with HomeServe for the past five years, I have never used their service until six weeks ago. I called to notify them that my hot water tank had a leak. I waited three days with no contact information, I called a local plumbing company here in Payson to get the leak fix. The problem was a shut off valve on the tank not working. The repair work cost $ 197.00, I send in my invoice to HomeServe six weeks ago. I called this morning and was given the runaround with five different people.

The valve was connected to the evaporating cooler water line on the water heater. Nothing to do with the evaporator cooler. Their customer service was a nightmare, kept repeating that the evap was not cover. If any of my friends use this company I would suggest you cancel their service and save your money...I'm also asking that you share this post on your Facebook page. Thanks.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Called HomeServe. They sent a tech from MANY MILES away - and according to him, he could only diagnose the problem BEFORE attempting to repair my electrical problem. One day when I entered my home office I flipped on the light switch and all the lights went out after I heard a receptacle blow. I looked at the circuit box and a breaker had turned off. I turned it back on, but it blew again. I turned off the switch and turned the breaker back on and it didn't blow them. I replaced the receptacle with a brand new one, but when I turned the switch on the breaker blew again.

When the "electrician" saw the new receptacle, he said he couldn't repair the problem since I had done that. He just left and I never heard another word from him or HomeServe. The "electrician" said that because I had tried to fix the problem, it was NOT covered under my warranty - it was an exclusion. I don't know if I'll be charged with a "diagnosis" cost as yet. I had to wait 2 days for him to arrive, and never got the problem fixed. I finally had to call in a REAL electrician to fix the problem which was a short in the receptacle box that wired a series of receptacles together. Cost... $150.00 - but for a top notch LOCAL electrician with excellent references.

It could have been MUCH worse... my house could have been destroyed by fire, so the $150.00 was worth every penny it to find a REAL, LICENSED AND EXPERIENCED electrician, to get the required repair done, and to discover HomeServe warranties aren't as good as several others. I purchased the HomeServe warranty since it was strongly recommended by AARP. I wonder if they vetted HomeServe before they recommended them and offered a discount for signing with them.

Too bad HomeServe doesn't work with him. But I had to wait almost a week to get it repaired since the REAL electrician wasn't available sooner. I guess it's my bad that I didn't know the exclusion in the fine print. But I learned a lesson... DON'T buy warranties that have more EXCLUSIONS than INCLUSIONS. If ever I purchase another home service warranty, I'll read the FINE PRINT ON "EXCLUSIONS" beforehand. For now, Bye bye HomeServe!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Inside sewer line repair - Shame on UCLA Alumni Association for getting us connected to this company. First repair went fine. After that, the company's business plan seems to be to find any possible reason a repair is not covered. They are very creative, giving lots of reasons. Repair people collude with firm.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Called Friday evening to place a service call on my furnace. The service co. called me a while later and said they would be at my house on Monday, the temp was 15 degrees. Called to complain to a supervisor and 20 minutes later was told nothing could be done any sooner. We will be without heat for 2 1/2 days. Totally unacceptable. Told them, "I hope when I call AAA if I end up in a ditch, I hope they don't leave me in the ditch for 2 1/2 days."

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

NO HEAT. Called for tech to come to residence to view problem with forced hot air furnace system at 7:30pm Saturday 1/13. Tech comes to house as scheduled on Sunday 3pm and states a part needs to be ordered (main valve controller). STILL NO HEAT. No word from call center or manager as to when part is to arrive and be installed on Monday. Stated they do not know when part will be in. STILL NO HEAT. My son went down to check model number of Honeywell part and call FW Webb 5 minutes from my house... they had the part with 5 in stock plus mentioned to my son HOMESERVE has an account with them. We purchased out of pocket 280$. HOMESERVE contacts me Wednesday am via EMAIL they have part... 4 days later??? MY recommendation FIND A REAL SERVICE COMPANY... NO EXCUSE FOR 4 DAYS NOT HEARING FROM THEM.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I need to file a complaint. My parents called last night when the furnace went out and they said they would send someone today between 9&10. No one came. We called this morning and they were nasty with us both. Still can't find no one and it's 11 degrees outside and 47 degrees in their house. Both are elderly and have health issues. My dad is 66 and a veteran. They should of not been treated this way. They had to get a outside help to get the furnace fixed. This is wrong how my parents were treated.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I called HomeServe Sat at 11:30 pm. I have no heat, I was told by Ivan no one can come for repair until sometime on Monday, this is not what I was told about service when I signed up, Ivan said nothing he can do.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I have paid into HomeServe for over 5 years... well over 7,000.00. They left me go without water for over 2 weeks and without heat in sub zero temps for a week. Sent a guy in a jeep with a screwdriver to fix a blower that would not stop blowing cold air and when he left it started up again. Still no water due to a leak. Sending a guy 2 hours away who is rude on the phone. DO NOT EVER EVER EVER ENROLL IN HOMESERVE.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

HomeServe USA in Louisville, KY patches, patches, patches. Knew there was an obvious major issues that lasted over 9 months. Refused to fix my water line issues correctly causing me to have major out of pocket expenses. Cannot get past call center. Refused to allow me to talk to a supervisor. Local water company pushes this insurance company and even bills premiums on water bills. Both has caused undue stress and expense.

Original review: March 22, 2017

I am in escrow and had a water main leak. I called and first plumber. They sent out Lancelot Plumbing. It was raining and you could tell they really didn't want to get dirty. They said it was HOA issue. So I called HOA. They sent John from All Star Plumbing. He found leak under slab on my side. He charged me 225 for leak detection. I called Home Emergency and they sent them out again. They still stated no leak. So then Stafford And Sons came out. He said HOA issue, 4 days had passed leak still there. I had John with All-Star fix the leak and paid him. I was so frustrated. So many calls. I will say Home Emergency refunded me both the 225 for leak detection and the 1500 to fix leak. I was very happy with them after that. Thank you for keeping your word. You're the best.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

Everyone was really nice and friendly. They did their best to help me understand what I had warranty wise. They provided reliable service. It was ok coverage. It didn't really give you much unless you wanted to spend a small fortune. Nothing about it really stood out to me. In my personal opinion the value to cost ratio was poor. You didn't get much for what you paid for. There are other companies that you can get more for the same prices. It definitely wasn't as accessible as other more common knowledge companies. I did find them but had it not been for a recommendation I had no idea who they were.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

These people are here to assist you 24/7 and should you need any help just hit the button and a friendly agent will walk you through the entire process. A job well done. They can really handle any of your needs. The coverage they provide are top-notched and you will be amazed. I was totally impressed with this coverage and so will you. Great value that goes a long way. The peace of mind knowing you are secured with your warranties gives me a safe feeling. Great value, great service. The website is open and you need to check out all the things you can have put under warranty. It is a safe and easy way to do it. All in one website. Nothing better than that.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

I thought that throughout the entire process I received wonderful customer service. Everyone that I dealt with was nice, polite and professional. They have a wide selection of coverage plans. I found it was very easy to find a plan that suited my needs. The choices that were provided gave me lots to choose from. I would say that for the coverage I received and the price that I paid added up to a very good value. I feel like I was given enough choices to pick just what I needed at a price I could afford. They had enough contact channels that I was able to get in touch with them when and how I wanted to.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

Arrived on time. Checked the product problem as I described it. Found out why was wrong and fixed it very quickly. Never spoke to me like I didn't know what I was talking about. Very polite. The product was covered. He retrieved the parts needed. Installed them quickly, efficiently. And they had a extended warranty of 90 days on the new parts. Anything covered is always very valuable. Had it not been covered by them it would have cost nearly 400.00 to fix. I never could have afforded that. They are very accessible. Once you contact them they return your call or email very quickly. You set up an appointment with them, they make your appointment as soon as possible. They always answer any additional questions you might have with no problem.

HomeServe USA Company Information