Home Warranty of America
It's that easy get a free quote
3.05/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At Home Warranty of America, Inc. we have built our business on simplifying the lives of our customers and helping them immediately, in times of great need and uncertainty. We strive to always offer our customers fast, easy solutions with our network of qualified service technicians.

Home Warranty of America specializes in home warranty plans, real estate, home sellers warranty, appliance warranty, and home protection plans. Whether you are planning to sell your home, buy a new one, or just staying in your home, we can save you money and time, and bring you peace of mind when you need it most. Get a free quote from us today!

BBBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Home Warranty of America provides advanced coverage options at a reasonable rate. While it can take up to 48 hours to schedule a service, benefits like ENERGY STAR certified appliance upgrades really set the company apart.

PROS

• ENERGY STAR appliance upgrades
  • High coverage limits
  • Nationwide coverage

CONS

• Service scheduling wait time

Top Home Warranty of America Reviews

03/01/2019

Submitting a claim to HWA is very simple and easy. Everybody has been professional, and they usually give a time when the contractor will contact us. I’m very satisfied with them. The warranty is worth the money.

02/24/2019

I just call them and they send quality people out, and they take care of it. The techs don't give up. They keep going until they get the thing fixed, and that's greatly appreciated. If it was something major like a washing machine or air conditioning, they would make it happen that day.

Home Warranty of America plans

Home Warranty of America has been protecting homeowners, buyers and sellers for decades. They have multiple coverage options, so customers can choose what best suits their needs. They offer warranties in 49 states (excluding California) with a trusted network of service professionals nationwide. For existing homeowners, Home Warranty of America offers two levels of coverage.

• Premier: The Premier plan is the most affordable plan for existing homeowners and covers over 20 major household systems and appliances. You can also add on optional coverage for extra individual items such as well pumps, stand-alone refrigerators and more.
  • Premier Plus: The Premier Plus plan covers all major systems and appliances. It includes their Premium Coverage option at no extra cost, which adds 25 additional items, like plumbing fixtures and toilet replacement.

Both of these plans have 13-month warranty periods. You’ll also have the option of adding GreenPlus, which qualifies customers to replace their old appliances with energy-efficient models, and OrangePlus, which covers additional components and services, including water softeners and re-key.

In addition, Home Warranty of America also offers home warranty plans for those buying or selling a home. Under these plans, coverage options may vary by state. 13-month coverage contracts are available with Gold, Platinum or Diamond Plans that each have optional sellers’ and buyers’ coverages. It’s important to note that these plans can only be purchased by a real estate agent.

Home Warranty of America cost

The average cost of Home Warranty of America’s coverage is $41–$54 per month for existing homeowners. Costs vary based on the trade call service fee option chosen ($75 or $100) as well as any add-on protections.

PlanService call feeAverage monthly cost
Premier Plan$75$44.62
 $100$41.15
Premier Plus$75$53.46
 $100$50.38

Home Warranty of America provides 13-month terms, compared with other home warranty companies who only have 12-month contracts. We find their prices to be pretty fair overall and the cost about average when it comes to industry standards. The higher of their two service call fee options is on the pricier side at $100, but not out of average range for the industry, which is $60–$125..

Home Warranty of America coverage

The Premier plan provides production for the following items:

• Built-in microwaves
  • Washers/dryers
  • Water heaters
  • Whirlpool bathtubs
  • Air conditioning

The Premier Plus plan is the more comprehensive choice for existing homeowners to consider. The plan covers everything included in the Premier Plan plus additional items including increased toilet replacement protection, plumbing fixtures, faucets and showerheads.

Optional add-on coverage is available at an extra cost for the following items:

ItemCost per month
Pool/spa combo, saltwater pools$11.54
Roof leak repair, septic tank pumping$3.85
Second refrigerator, stand-alone freezer$2.69
SEER/R-410A modifications$5.77
Septic system$3.86
Well pump$6.54

Home Warranty of America also offers two add-on packages:

The GreenPlus add-on includes coverage to upgrade appliance replacements with ENERGY STAR qualified products. Includes dishwashers, refrigerators, clothes washers, heating system replacement and water heaters.

The OrangePlus add-on includes coverage for water softeners and re-key, provides the removal of defective equipment at no extra charge and increases coverage limits for the following items:

• Code Violations/Permits up to $250
  • Professional Series Appliances up to $2,000
  • Toilet Replacement up to $600

2095 Home Warranty of America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 4 featured reviews
Original review: May 16, 2019

We had two options for home warranty when we bought our house. We went with Home Warranty of America because there were more options to choose from and it was more flexible. It was a little bit more expensive, but they covered a lot more things than the other company. When we signed up, we just did one phone call, verified some information, and then we were ready to go. When we renewed last year, they called me, which was really nice and very convenient. The sales rep was very, very nice. So, we had a very good experience.

We have submitted two claims. I was able to use their website and to file my first claim. They were able to schedule somebody for me to come out and took care of the issue, which wasn’t a problem. And that all worked very easily. So, using their web interface was very simple. For the second claim, they didn’t have anybody available for at least a month, and it was an air conditioner issue, so it really had to get resolved quickly. I ended up having to schedule someone individually on my side. That was a little bit more complicated being that a lot of our local providers don’t wanna work with the warranty company because you have to call them and you have to verify and validate. The company that I went through to do the work was very reluctant and very negative about home warranty companies, which doesn’t really speak of Home Warranty of America so much as it does of the person and the company that did the work for us. As a result of that, we won't be using that particular company anymore.

The hard part from a claims perspective is I actually never placed that second claim. It ended up not costing me very much and never failed the claim because we tried to call, we couldn’t get through, and the wait times were more than two minutes, which I personally didn't think was excessive. I work in a call center, so I know what wait times were like. It was just that level of impatience of the person who fixed it made it seem like a lot longer. So, the first claim experience was really, really good, and very quick, and very simple when they scheduled somebody. But when I scheduled somebody for the second claim, my experience was not nearly as good.

Home Warranty of America could do a better job of being out in the community of providers and talking about their services, giving out phone numbers, and helping those providers understand that they are providing a service to their clients. They could also do a better job of giving the homeowner information about the things that we need to tell the local contractor when we first call them to make sure the technician is aware and up to speed on what they need to do. It would take a lot of the burden off of the homeowner because the people who come out to fix it wanna have a good rapport with the client as well.

The peace of mind of having Home Warranty of America has been really great because home repairs can be very expensive, especially if you have to replace an air conditioner or a heating system. We haven't really had to utilize at all that much, but in retrospect, it's not that expensive for the peace of mind that you get knowing that it's gonna get fixed. We have a particular thing on our policy that if our air conditioner went out and it needed to be entirely replaced, it would be replaced with an energy-efficient appliance as well of our choosing. Home Warranty of America makes it easy to get the coverage and to keep the coverage that you need, and they also do a good job of notifying you when your policy renews. So, they do a good level of communication.

Good Morning Kelly,

We appreciate you taking the time out of your day to provide an exceptional rating based on your personal experience with us. We are working diligently to improve processes within our company to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction. Please feel free to reach out to one of our live chat agents at www.hwahomewarranty.com with your full contact information should you ever need our assistance. Thank you again and have an amazing day!

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 2, 2019

We had made two claims to Home Warranty of America so far. The first one was about a garbage disposal that worked once, and the second time we turned on the switch, nothing happened. The contractor came, and we had to pay the $100 fee for the mechanic to come, and they replaced the garbage disposal, and they did that very quickly.

The second claim was when we ran into a problem with our refrigerator. It worked fine, but there's a control on the front of the refrigerator that tells the temperature of the refrigerator, which was 37 degrees, and the other one says the temperature of the freezer, which was set at 0. But it would change the temperature of the freezer without us touching it. It would go from 0 down to -6 in increments of 1. Then it would go from -6, it would jump back up to +8, and then it would work its way back down again. And each time it changed temperature, it would start dinging. At 3 in the morning while we were sleeping, we would hear this dinging.

Home Warranty sent out Golden & Golden and I paid them the $100 to come. First, they looked at it to determine what they felt was wrong with it. And then they came back with what they called the thermostat, and they changed it but it did not solve the problem. So, later on they determined that we were gonna get a new main circuit board for the refrigerator which was at the back of the refrigerator, but nobody could find it to replace it because the refrigerator is 13 years old, and parts aren’t readily available. I got a call from Home Warranty that they had secured a rebuilt, and they said they were gonna mail it to my home, and once I received it, I have to call Golden & Golden to come and install it, which was what we did. It also did not solve the problem. Now, we’re going into six months of this.

I called Home Warranty and told them that it has been going on a long time and asked if we could get somebody from Kenmore to come and look at it because the people from Golden & Golden were not capable of repairing it. So they sent somebody from Kenmore, and the fellow came, and he looked it. I did not have to pay him an extra charge. It was covered by my first initial payment. He told me that I might need the circuit board that goes on the front of the refrigerator where the actual temperature was changing. Then he reported that back to Home Warranty. The next thing I knew, I got a call from Home Warranty that that part was no longer available. They couldn’t find it, so they were going to give me a new refrigerator.

They offered me a specific model from GE. They offered me $1,700 cash and I could pick out my own refrigerator and then I would be paying for the installation, or I could go to either Best Buy or one of those stores, and see if I could pick out a different refrigerator, and whether or not they would cover it. So I looked in Best Buy and I found a refrigerator that was comparable to the one they offered me and bought it. They delivered and installed it, and they took the old one away. The two gentlemen that came to install it were very good. They did a very good job.

Everything worked out well. Everything is fine now because the old refrigerator was gone, no more dinging, and I have a brand new refrigerator at no cost to me since it was covered by the warranty. But Home Warranty could have done a better job of finding somebody better to resolve the problem. I felt that the claim could have been resolved a lot sooner had they had somebody more competent.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Morning, Martin. We wanted to thank you for taking some time to share your experience! We are always looking for ways to grow & improve our business, and customer feedback is a very important part of that process. We are so glad to hear the you received a new refrigerator, and that your claim was successfully resolved. Thank you, Martin, and have an awesome day! - Jack

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

The repairs were astronomical and unpredictable, so you never knew when something was going to break down so it would be more economical if I went with Home Warranty of America or any warranty company. Signing up for the service was very easy and everyone was very cooperative. They responded to any of my requests in a timely manner when I submitted claims.

However, I had one contractor go out to our location to do the job, but he didn't complete the job. He said it needed extra work. What I didn't like about it is that I had to pay the fee when they got at the door – before they do anything. It was not like they do the work, then bill you. We called them back and said that they didn't do the job that they were hired to do and they wanted to charge us another fee for going out a second time when they screwed up the first time. They said that they were going to waive the charge. It was time-consuming to get on the phone and wait for somebody to come on and get transferred to a different operator. They took our information and said that they would call us, but they never did.

I also just ordered a furnace for one of my properties. The delivery was scheduled and the installation was scheduled for last Thursday. They called and left a message and said that the delivery was on back-order, but it didn't come in. When I called, they said that the delivery had come in and I asked when the installation was going to be. They said that what happened was they were sent the wrong delivery and that they had to reorder, so they couldn't get it until the 2nd of January. I asked the rep if the problem was because they couldn't get any technicians to go out and install it or was it because the furnace was really in back-order. He said that they ordered an up-flow, but they were sent a down-flow, so they had to send it back. He also said that he just spoke to the people and they said that it would be in by the 2nd of January.

I asked when the installation schedule was. He said it was scheduled for the 2nd or the 3rd of January. I didn't like that because that was too long and the house has tenants. We made amends for the inconvenience for the tenants, but they are dragging their foot on the situation. I also have a complaint because it took them too long to okay the replacement of the furnace. The furnace was working when they went to the house and they rebuilt the air conditioner. The air condition was connected to the furnace and when they finished installing the new air conditioner, they had to disconnect the furnace. They went back to install the air conditioner, but when the tenants turned the furnace on, it wouldn't come on.

I called Home Warranty of America and they called Complete Mechanical Services. They said they would go out and check out the furnace. I told them that it was their fault that the furnace was not working because it was working when they started working on the air-con. They said that it was not their fault I needed a new furnace. Now, I'm paying $1400 for a new furnace and they wanted to buy me out. They offered me several hundred dollars and I could find someone to install the furnace myself, but I decided why I had to go through it when I already got somebody on it. I had to reschedule with the tenant. The new technician wouldn't have to go out and may not be able to get on his schedule for another week or two, so I decided to go with them.

It was the only thing I was not happy about, but everything else was fine. Home Warranty of America just took too long to make decisions if they were going to replace it. Another thing I don't like is when the technician goes out and does a job, they don't send the report to the owner. I asked Complete Mechanical Services for the report and they said that I had to get it from Home Warranty of America. When I asked Home Warranty of America to email me the reports, so I could read it and see what was wrong, they said they don't send that information out. I'm the one paying for all of this and I couldn't have a copy of the report.

I eventually found somebody else that would do the job more reasonably. It was a communication thing and a negotiating issue with Home Warranty of America. I like to get things done right away. If the tenant called and said something was wrong, I want the work done immediately. I don't want to tell the tenant, "Well, it was supposed to come in and didn't come in. Can you reschedule?" They have to disrupt their lives and reschedule and wait for me. When the rent is due, I want the rent on time, but in order to get the rent paid on time, we hav

Home Warranty of America response
Good Morning, Addison. We certainly appreciate you sharing such a detailed review with us. Feedback from our homeowners is incredibly valuable, as we utilize it to identify areas that need improvement. While we are glad to know that you are satisfied overall, it concerns us that you have experienced a lack of responsiveness at times. Our goal is always to provide an outstanding customer experience, and a big part of that is making sure to handle the claim journey as efficiently as possible. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us should you ever need assistance with moving a claim along. You can connect with our Live Chat team or send us an email directly.

Thank you for the review and 5-star rating, Addison! Have a fantastic day! - Jack

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I went with Home Warranty of America when I bought my place that I recently sold. Then when I bought a new place, I thought it was a good idea to get that insurance again. It paid off back then, so we’ll see if it pays off now. It is a convenient way to find competent individuals that can handle the matter as opposed to just picking somebody off the internet. I figured that HWA has been in the business and they dealt with these people. If they’re having trouble with the people, they no longer referred them, so they give me people that they’ve had good experience with.

I’ve submitted a couple of claims with them and I call them up to do that, which defeats all their fancy computerized systems. Their reps take down the information and later on I get somebody they called up. Then they send somebody out. So far, I’ve had very good interactions with every technician except an electrician. He said he couldn’t do the work alone, that he needed help, and this and that. Then he took off and left everything wide open. I had no idea when he was coming back.

Also, initially, the tech was supposed to be there at a certain time. But he called up and said he couldn’t make it. He rescheduled two or three times and when he came out here, he took stuff apart and everything else. Then he said he needed to have somebody else but their company couldn't send anybody. They had an excuse that one of the drivers was hit in an accident and they were down. But I told them that I needed my garage door. Everything in the garage door was shut down and I gotta open and close the garage. I couldn't wait three or four days.

I called up HWA and complained. I told them that I didn't want this guy out here and that they should send me somebody else. And they did. I was very pleased with the other electrician that came out and got it all done. I had no idea why the first electrician couldn’t handle the problem by himself because the other electrician that came after him did it all by himself. I only had to pay one deductible for that claim and I told HWA it was their problem.

All in all, I had one bad experience out of maybe six good experiences. So, I complained about him up and moved on. I would recommend getting HWA. No matter who I call out of a phone book or off the internet or anything else, they’re gonna charge a fee just to get in their car and come over, and I'd have to pay it. But I wouldn't know who I'm gonna get and what kind of work they’re gonna do for me. And when they leave, if I have a problem I can sit there and call for weeks and they’d never return a call.

With HWA, at least I have a middle person who should have some experience and has a little control over the techs because these people are with the home warranty to get more business. So, if you’re dissatisfied, the home warranty is gonna step in and at least try to do something, as HWA did on the one bad experience I had. They'd get the problem fixed and make everybody happy. I recommend Home Warranty.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Duane. We certainly appreciate you taking the time so write such a detailed and thorough review of your experiences with our company. We are glad that the one instance of having a poor interaction with the electrician was able to be resolved so quickly. We thank you for your loyalty and for the recommendation! Have a great weekend! - Jack

Original review: May 26, 2018

We bought the house in 2014 and we asked for a home warranty because the home was nine years old and we wanted to make sure that we wouldn’t have to incur major expenses for anything that broke. The first year was part of the purchase price and the seller paid for Home Warranty of America. It was roughly about $500 a year. On our first year, we probably saved close to $11,000 because there were a number of systems that were not working properly. All we had to do was pay the $75 come out fee. A lot of things got fixed in that first year.

The representatives are usually good and the program itself is a decent one. I live in a house with a bunch of duplicate systems and we got a lot of secondary backup systems. When one thing fails, we’re never out of anything because we get in the second system until that’s repaired. We’ve used Home Warranty of America for everything and the biggest problem we had was our garbage disposal. It was repaired a number of times before they finally got it completely new internal parts. I’ve been happy with the Home Warranty of America and the people running it are good.

The downside to the program is that we don’t have a lot of vendors here where we live who are tied into HWA. For example, we have a Sub-Zero refrigerator. When the ice maker in it broke that first year, we had to wait for someone from Phoenix to come fix it. But the vendor issue is not unique to HWA. If I bought any kind of home warranty program from any other vendors here in Prescott, I’m gonna have to wait until someone from the Valley comes up. Another downside to some of the stuff is we have a high-end custom home with high-end appliances like a Viking stove and a Sub-Zero refrigerator. If those things weren’t maintained properly, and they weren’t by the previous owner, that would have cost us an arm and a leg to fix.

We keep HWA still even at the cost of $500 a year because the way I look at it is at $50 a month and there’s always something, we’ll use them at least twice a year. In some fashion, it will pay itself up on its first call out. In the end, it’s a good policy to have. I will continue to buy HWA’s service every year. It’s something I budget for because, ultimately, it’s cheaper to pay the $500 a year than to have to pay for a major appliance going out.

However, HWA outsources their answering service so if I’m calling after hours to get the repair done, it’s not necessarily one of their employees I’m talking to. It can be a bit frustrating when I’m talking to someone whose English is not particularly clear or they don’t understand what I’m explaining to them. Looking back at that garbage disposal issue, when I was telling the person, “Hey, I just called you three weeks ago. We have another problem,” and they were not getting it. Either that was an English as a second language issue or that was people not being able to listen because we have plenty of native speakers that don’t listen.

Home Warranty of America response

Thank you for your great review, Alan! We strive to always provide excellent customer care and are pleased to hear that your overall experience has been wonderful. Please keep in mind that we have the option for you to submit claims completely online at www.hwahomewarranty.com if it is after hours. I hope you have a wonderful day! -Adaline

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?

Original review: May 21, 2019

We wanted something for the house because everything was not covered through regular insurance and I heard Home Warranty of America’s service was good in terms of appliances and everything around the house. It was easy to look at the different programs and products that they had, plus the pricing was very simple. If you take this add-on, that would be the cost of that so, it was very easy to comprehend and it was not very complex. Overall, signing up for the program was very good and HWA was very responsive. They asked a lot of questions but that was part of their paperwork. The sales reps were good in selling and cross-selling. They were very informative and easy to work with. Their professionalism was also very high.

When submitting a claim, you would call them and they would go through lots of questions. Then, they would send someone to check in terms of what the problem is and they would try to resolve it. They have a cost associated to visiting cost and they would usually tell us how much it would take to fix, and then they fix it. They also give a time frame as to when to expect a contractor and usually, it would be between 24-48 hours, depending on the kind of problem. Some of the contractors were good and some of them took a long time to understand. But most of the time, they were able to fix the issue. The experience was good with HWA and we would like to continue with them. I would recommend them and we've told a lot of our neighbors and friends about it already.

Vikrant,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Our goal is 100% customer satisfaction and it sounds like we achieved that goal with you. Glad to hear you love our services!

Original review: May 21, 2019

When I call HWA, they are polite and they take care of the issue almost right away. But I'm not pleased with the companies that they use. So far, what I have experienced was that they would tell me that the issue is not their problem and then they pass it to somebody else. And then that person would also say that the issue is not their problem and pass it again to somebody else. So I’m calling a plumber because a plumbing job, and I’m calling electrician because electrician job, but they seem to shove off the responsibility to others. So my experience with HWA is a frustrating one because they keep sending contractors or people that are not helpful.

Luisa,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your personal experience with us. We are working diligently to improve processes within our company to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction. We certainly want to apologize that you have had to go through many vendors to accomplish a resolution for your claim.

Regarding your concern about our vendor selection, we do have a dedicated vendor development department that reviews and approves service providers through an extensive process. If you would like, we would be happy to submit feedback regarding your experiences with the vendors so that our vendor selection team can take this into account when renewing their contracts.

If this is an option you would like to pursue, please feel free to reach out to our live chat agents at www.hwahomewarranty.com and we will be more than happy to assist you. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Original review: May 20, 2019

Through a relative, I was referred to Home Warranty of America. I feel that they accommodate me well. Everything works out fine when making a claim and I have no problems. They would tell me the technicians are coming or the company would get in touch with me and schedule a date and time. Home Warranty handled all my situations and problems efficiently. They were courteous and the companies I’ve dealt with so far were the same. They were professional and did a good job.

Home Warranty of America response

Thank you, Sandra, for taking the time for the positive review! At Home Warranty of America, we strive to meet the needs of all our customers. If there is ever anything we can do in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us by phone or live chat. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Original review: May 20, 2019

We had an issue with our dishwasher and HWA had a person come out twice because the first person couldn’t fix it. The claims process seemed like it works out the way they said it was supposed to work out. They always have a second opinion, and then when the second person couldn’t fix it, then they offered to pay us. So, it worked out fine. I haven’t had any issues with HWA. They have very good customer service and the technicians that came out were all good.

Home Warranty of America response

Thanks very much for your 5-star review of our company, Deborah! We certainly value your opinion and appreciate the feedback.

Original review: May 19, 2019

Their reps were courteous and kind. Every time I’ve went to file a claim, everybody has been really cool. And whenever I’ve had to have a repair man come out, everyone of them said that I should stay with the HWA.

Home Warranty of America response

Thank you for the great review, Geary! We are glad we could assist in your home repairs! We appreciate your business! Have a great week!

Original review: May 19, 2019

I’m a satisfied Home Warranty of America customer. I've been with them for four years and everything seems to work as planned. It takes a couple of days for someone to get to me after filing a claim and the techs they send out have all been fine.

Home Warranty of America response

Thank you for the great review and rating, Tom! We appreciate your loyalty and trust to HWA for many years. If you ever need assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to us by phone or live chat. Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Original review: May 18, 2019

When we bought our house, Home Warranty of America came with it. We didn’t renew it then I renewed it after a year. In 2015, I wanted to kinda have that peace of mind and the major stuff was covered. I went back to Home Warranty because we already had it on the house. It was really easy signing up for the service. When I signed up the second time, I did everything online. It’s been a year and a half ago that I went to renew with them.

A couple of times, I made a claim with Home Warranty and everything that I’ve filed a claim for has been taken care of. It’s all been done in a reasonable time frame so everything’s worked out pretty well. The last one I did, I did that online. The site kinda walked me through the steps, what system it was, and had a couple of questions on it. In the end, it gave me an option for a couple of my preferred providers in the area. It then gave me the response, it emailed the confirmation then I had a call. The technicians came out the same day in the evening. It was an air conditioning issue and they took care of it. It was really easy to do.

This last time, the contractor was really good. I had a problem once before where we paid, the technicians came out, they ordered parts, and they never came back. I couldn’t get a hold of them and Home Warranty of America couldn’t get a hold of them either so they sent out a second vendor. We didn’t have to pay the call out fee again. They took care of it since the first one fell through. They handled that one pretty well too. Everything that we’ve had Home Warranty worked on has held up.

Home Warranty of America response

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Our goal is 100% customer satisfaction and it sounds like we achieved that goal with you. We want every experience to be “five stars”! Glad to hear you love our services!

Original review: May 18, 2019

I had coverage for my outside water line just in case it would freeze and if I had any line that was ruptured or something, it would be covered. But I didn't know that the Home Warranty of America covered that as well as the home, AC, and heating. So I joined them and have been with them for at least two years. I call a number that I have whenever something goes wrong and I've never had any bad experiences.

Scotty, the guy who did my heat and AC unit, was great. He kept me well update and informed me of what was happening, what he was doing, and how to maintain it from a homeowner's perspective like checking my filters and the different temperature in my thermostat to make his job easier. He also mentioned to me that my thermostat was outdated and I might be eligible to get some update. He was helpful and dealing with him went well. Normally, I call in to get my AC serviced before I start using it. Scotty was saying not to wait 'til the weather got hot and the temperature is 100 degrees and everybody would need their AC checked. It also makes their job a little bit uneasy because when the technician comes in the attic or where they have to go to get to the AC, the temperature is twice that.

Home Warranty of America response

Thank you for the great review and rating! We appreciate your loyalty and trust to HWA for many years. At Home Warranty of America, we strive to meet the needs of all our customers. If there is ever anything we can do in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us by phone or live chat.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Signing up with Home Warranty of America was easy and uneventful. There was no problem but where we live, we have to contact people to find out who will come. We live far enough away from town that people generally don’t want to come here. So, it’s difficult to find a contractor. We don’t take who HWA sends us but we take who we can find. The people in their company or any other company like this who are in the lower 48 have no clue as to where we are and who is available to us. If something goes wrong, having the warranty is valuable because it pays everything although there's a small dollar amount of what we have to replace because generally, we have to replace something. People should go with Home Warranty of America. It’s the only place that you can go to here and nobody else works up here.

Home Warranty of America response

Thank you for this open and honest review regarding your personal experiences with our company. We certainly appreciate your feedback and look forward to servicing your future needs. Have an amazing day!

Original review: May 17, 2019

Signing up for Home Warranty of America wasn’t hard but I wish I could submit a claim online. It hasn’t worked in six years and they haven’t fixed it although they tried. I have a pending claim right now and I had to call it in. HWA will pay for the furnace but not for the installation and so, I’m kinda screwed because they want $2,200. It was almost freezing last night and I don’t have a furnace. I should have checked the other places too because there are other warranties that would’ve paid for the installation. I don’t know if they would’ve been more expensive or not but that happened last year too. They didn’t pay for certain things on my air conditioning either, so I had to chalk up a bunch of money to get it fixed. Most of the time, Home Warranty of America is good but I am frustrated with all the extra costs that aren’t covered. They fix stuff but it isn’t free like it says it is. Still, I would recommend them.

Home Warranty of America response

Should there be any additional out of pocket expenses such as modifications or items not covered by the warranty, this will be discussed with you prior to any repairs or replacements. Unfortunately, not all claims can be (completely) covered per the contract's exclusions, and I apologize if these exclusions were not thoroughly explained to you previously. HWA does warranty 30 days on labor and 90 days on parts.

If the out of pocket expenses are not approved by the homeowner, HWA will calculate a cash offer(buyout) at HWA rates which may be less than retails rates that the homeowner may accept to proceed with the claim outside of the warranty.

If you would like further clarification about your contract's terms, or need further assistance with your online portal, please feel free to reach out to our live chat agents at www.hwahomewarranty.com and we will be happy to assist you. Thank you and have an amazing day!

Original review: May 16, 2019

My Realtor set me up with a free year of Home Warranty of America when I purchased my home. I was so satisfied with it that I continued to keep it as my warranty, and I’ve had it for three years now. Signing up for the service is easy. But getting claims processed is a little bit difficult. They have a vendor that they use in the area that I live in and that was the only vendor that could work on plumbing. He had been to my house once before. He was very rude to my wife and to me. And so, I told HWA that I didn’t want this vendor at my property ever again. So then, I had to resubmit a claim for my hot water heater and then they said that that was the only vendor that was available. Then I had to go out and purchase a hot water heater on my own and then wait for them to reimburse me, and they didn’t reimburse me the full amount. That claim was a nightmare.

My interactions with their representatives were fine. I was trying to explain to them that it was frustrating that they said that I was supposed to have an option for them to go outside of their area and find a vendor. And they said that they couldn’t do that. I went and hired the company and it was a company that I could trust. So, the work was done professionally and I haven’t had any issues with the work. But the cost for me to have it done was like $1,478 and Home Warranty of America only reimbursed me 1,100 bucks on top of me having to pay the $100 deductible. So, I was actually out $400. I tried reaching out to the regional sales rep because she had helped me with the previous claim in the years past, and I never got a return phone call from her.

Home Warranty of America response

We truly apologize for the delay and inconvenience of having your plumbing and water heater serviced. Rest assured, we are working diligently to improve processes within our company to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction.

Regarding our vendor selection, we do have a dedicated vendor development department that reviews and approves service providers through an extensive process.

There are instances when we do not have an available vendor in the area and we offer the homeowner the ability to secure their own vendor to service the claim while held responsible for all upfront costs to the vendor and be reimbursed at HWA costs which may be less than retail costs in addition to the trade call fee should the claim be covered with a paid invoice.

Reimbursements may be issued in the form of a check within 4-6 weeks or a Tango card within 3-5 business days via email once accepted. We certainly apologize if this information was not thoroughly explained previously.

If you would like further clarification about, a copy of your contract's terms or have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to chat with one of our live agents at www.hwahomewarranty.com. Thank you and have a pleasant day!

Original review: May 15, 2019

Home Warranty of America was gifted to me through the purchase of my house last year. They've been very professional. I dealt with them a couple of times and their online claims process is pretty easy. But the first claim wound up not being covered through the warranty. I wound up having to deal with it on my own and pay for it out of pocket. The second claim is going on right now. This time I submitted the claim and the service person reached out to me on his own. As soon as I had submitted a service request, somebody was out there the next day. Unfortunately, the technician had to order some parts so the claim is not been finished yet.

It's very valuable for me to have Home Warranty of America and I would definitely refer my friends to them. I don't even know what the motor cost for my HVAC unit is, but I'd rather pay $100 than have to pay several hundred dollars if that's what it cost. It's been a great experience so far and I'm glad that I have Home Warranty.

Good Morning Jody,

Thank you for leaving us this exceptional review based on your firsthand experiences with our company. We are pleased to hear that you are greatly satisfied and look forward to servicing all your future needs. Please don't hesitate to contact us by phone or live chat at www.hwahomewarranty.com should you need our assistance. Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

Original review: May 15, 2019

It's easy to sign up with Home Warranty of America. And their rep was able to answer all of my questions. I've been with them for five years and I have four different policies with them depending on the place. I have submitted a claim and it's all good. The contractor they sent was courteous and professional. And everything’s good since the repair.

Home Warranty of America response

Thank you, Drew, for taking the time for the amazing review! At Home Warranty of America, we strive to meet the needs of all our customers. If there is ever anything we can do in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us by phone or live chat. Thanks again and have a splendid day!

Original review: May 14, 2019

I looked through different places, read some of the reviews, and people seemed that they had pretty decent experience with Home Warranty of America, so I went ahead and signed up online. It was very easy to sign up. I just checked what I wanted online and everything was set. Somebody even called me to follow up on everything. So far, everything has been good with them. I've had to use them to replace the toilet, and they also put a new icemaker in my freezer. I did one of the claims online over the weekend and then they called me within 24 hours. I like having Home Warranty of America because it's a good peace of mind in case something happens. But as far as claims go, it was no problem at all. I just paid the $100 when the contractors came and it saved me a bundle. I have recommended them.

Good Morning Danny,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this great review! We are proud to be your trusted home warranty provider and to give you a little peace of mind when it comes to your repair needs. Please don't hesitate to contact us by phone or live chat at www.hwahomewarranty.com should you need our assistance. Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

Original review: May 14, 2019

I submitted a claim online and it was fairly easy to do that. I got a response from Home Warranty the following day, so it was really quick. It was an AC repair and we’re in San Antonio so it’s hot. Having the AC repaired is a big improvement and there's been no problem since. I’d recommend HWA.

Home Warranty of America response

Thank you for the wonderful feedback, Paul. We are happy to hear we were able to fix the A/C unit in your house with ease. We appreciate your business! Have a momentous week!

Original review: May 13, 2019

HWA is refusing to help. I have paid this company for over 2 years now for this home warranty, NOW that I really need them, they do NOTHING!!! My refrigerator flooded my house. We will be out of our home several weeks before the repairs can be done because of the water damage. HWA is requiring the refrigerator be hooked back up to the water so MORE water can damage my home. I have pictures of my house in the various processes it has gone through for the repair, as well as the contractors and Insurance adjusters claim to provide them with.

I asked for an option of replacing this appliance, was told they would have to hook it back up to the water, for THEIR technician to come and make a determination. I do not want it repaired, I want an option to have it replaced, I understand they may not pay for the entire amount of it to be replaced, but they will not even work with me, when I called I talked to three different associates, George, Pablo, and Juan. Juan finally transferred me to the supervisor, Jose, I asked for in the beginning. I am SO frustrated and will be looking for a new Home Warranty Company and giving HWA reviews so other consumers know to be aware of this HWA company!!!

Original review: May 13, 2019

I already had Home Warranty of America, so I just renewed it. At first, submitting a claim went fairly easy. The one thing that concerns me is the fact that it started out really good, and then, stuff started coming off of it. For instance, the first year, our roof was covered. And then they had me upgrade it because we had a water softener and it was covered. Everything was covered. On the second year, all of a sudden, those things disappeared, and I didn’t get a notification of it disappearing. Then when I asked a question, it was, “We don’t cover roofs in Delaware.” I told them they did because I had it in my contract. So, then, when I asked them about the water softener, they said they don’t cover those anymore.

An issue popped up with the garage door opener, and they sent me somebody that did work on it. The problem with it was he didn’t wanna work on the door because he said he had a hard time getting paid. He said, “I’ll tell you what, I’ll fix the door, this is how much it’s gonna cost.” And I said, “Well, you gonna get $100 anyway.” It was $30 more than what I would have had to pay but I needed my door fixed. So, I told him to fix the door and I’d give him the $30 more. But that's one of the issues that I’m finding with the company.

I’m getting mails and telephone calls from other companies asking me to join them. And I’m hesitant about doing that. One company said, “Well, your service fee won’t be as much.” But then as I read it on further, it all depends on the package that you got as to what the service was gonna be. So, then, I told my wife that when we had an issue with the furnace and the heating system, Home Warranty of America took care of us. We went a little bit longer than what was anticipated on getting that corrected. However, we did get it corrected.

When the furnace issue first started out, the company they sent in said they were gonna see about changing it out. And I told them this system is new. It’s a top-of-the-line system. It’s hybrid system. And it was in the dead of winter when it went out. It had actually gone out for about a month. But come to find out, we had a heat pump and our backup was the furnace. So the person that did the installation did not set the furnace up correctly, and he didn’t set the heat pump up correctly.

And what had happened was we had ran out of fuel, and we couldn’t figure out why. So, we are holding up and then we found out that it was burning gas the whole time. So, we finally got it corrected. We still use the second company that HWA sent in to do the correction. And in fact, they were here just the other day doing the service. The only thing was we didn’t know that the service part of it wasn’t on this warranty. So, I had to take out a service contract with the company that they’ll come back twice a year to check on it. So, I did that the other day.

Douglas,

Thank you for this review based on your firsthand experiences with our company. In reference to contract coverage changes, we do advise on the renewal notice to be sure to read the new contract documents carefully so that you understand any potential changes/improvements to your coverage. All items eligible for coverage may be reviewed in the online portal as well as the contract confirmation documents.

Please don't hesitate to contact us by phone at 1-888-492-7359 or by live chat at www.hwahomewarranty.com should you need our assistance or have any questions or concerns. Thank you again and have a pleasant day!

Original review: May 12, 2019

I’m satisfied with Home Warranty of America. I've had them for 13 years and they’re doing a good job. They did what they agreed to do. They were timely and didn’t keep us waiting a long time. Also, any time they answer the phone, it’s impressive.

Good Morning Deloris,

Thank you for leaving us this exceptional review based on your firsthand experiences with our company. We are pleased to hear that you are greatly satisfied with the level of customer service you have received and look forward to servicing all your future needs. Please don't hesitate to contact us by phone or live chat at www.hwahomewarranty.com should you need our assistance. Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

Original review: May 12, 2019

I reported to Home Warranty of America that my pool spa heater would not heat up. They sent the contractor and he was nice. He looked at it and put some type of regulator on. He said it would not come on with that but he wasn’t capable of working on a pool heater so he would have to tell HWA and get back. We waited another week and then, a second guy came out, he took one look at it and he said that he didn’t even work on pool heaters and he didn’t know why they sent him. He came from two hours away and I asked him if they told him that it was a pool heater. He said no and left.

I didn’t hear anything so I called HWA back and they told me to bear with them and that they were getting somebody else. They got another one and the technician was out of Jacksonville. He was upset because he couldn’t fix the pool heater. When he came, he asked where the heater was. I told him that it was right behind the wall. When he looked at it, he said he didn’t work on pool heaters. I told him it has been three weeks and he said that he works on those that we heat our house with and not with pools. I told HWA that I paid $100 to the guy from Jacksonville and I haven’t got the right person to work on the pool yet. They told me not to worry about the hundred dollars. I felt sorry for HWA to have to pay someone who didn’t even work on it.

I didn’t hear anything from HWA and I asked the rep if I could get my pool man to do it. He could fix it on that day but he’s not in their system. The rep told me that he would get somebody. I haven’t heard anything and so, I called back today. The lady didn’t read all the records. They could go back and see what they have done for me. They have in their computer how many times I’ve called and everything. I try not to call but I could be using the pool spa. My spa works but there’s no hot water and it’s 73 degrees. Then she said that the guy was gonna have to go over. If he comes back and it’s not that, I’m gonna have to pay another $100. She thought it had been fixed and there was another problem. She wasn’t rude and was just doing her job with people complaining and maybe not wanting to pay.

I just renewed the service on my credit card and it was $67. She said they renewed it for $71. I told her that I haven’t even managed not to renew. We just need someone that works on spa or pool heaters. Most of the sales rep are good. The guys I’ve had have read all through and they understood what was going on. I had my oven go off and the guy who came out looked around and didn’t fix it. So finally, Home Warranty of America said they could buy it out and I told them to give me the money and I’ll go buy it myself. I ended up paying $1,200 for the same oven that I had in there, which Home Warranty of America only probably paid $600. So, when they say, “If they can’t fix it, they replace it,” that’s not the truth because they depreciate it.

After the first time, I understood and I thought that Home Warranty of America would have the people that come in and fix it be bonded and would be licensed instead of just calling someone in a town that you don’t really know. You understand what a washer and dryer is as well as what a stove and refrigerator is but when they insure your pool, they need to know what a pool heater is. It is not something like an air conditioner in your house. I don’t know really what HWA tells the people they send out. They should say, “This is a spa/pool heater.” And the people should say, “We don’t work on that.”

I’ve got a pool service that takes care of my pool and they said they could fix it. They were just here today cleaning the pool and adjust everything. They’re the ones who knew my pool heater went out because I just got in to town and they were here. I told them that I don’t think my pool heater was turned on and they went over and said that it was turned on but it was not heating up. They asked if I would like them to come and fix it. I said I’ve got Home Warranty of America, and I pay a premium so I would call them. I am frustrated right now, having the company and nothing working, and sending three people out and it wasn’t that they didn’t know how to fix it. They said they just didn’t work on it which made me more frustrating than anything plus the premium they charge you.

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We want you to feel comfortable sharing good or bad news. We're sorry that your experience with us fell short of expectations. We are working diligently to improve processes within our company to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction.

Upon review of your pool claim, there was a mix up in regards to the heat pump system in which the technician's that came out were confused if the pool heat pump was connected to the home heat pump system.

At this time, we are actively contacting vendors to service your claim. As a friendly reminder, you do have the option to use your own vendor and be reimbursed at HWA rates with a paid invoice, however, the reimbursement may be less due to not calculated at retail rates. If this is an option you would like to discuss, please contact customer care by phone or live chat. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: May 11, 2019

We run our business out of an old house. It’s a historic home and we needed some additional coverage. I googled Home Warranty of America and the reviews were fine. There were a lot of good things to say about it and choosing them seemed like the right thing to do. It was top-notch and professional signing up for the service. We discontinued the policy here at the office, but we kept the policy at his house because he had a couple of items in his house that were not covered under its homeowner’s. We submitted a few claims a few years back here at the office but we haven’t had a need for it now. It’s one of those things that’s a just-in-case. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Good Afternoon Robin,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this great review! We are proud to be your trusted home warranty provider and to give you a little peace of mind when it comes to your repair needs. Please don't hesitate to contact us by phone or by live chat at www.hwahomewarranty.com should you need our assistance. Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 11, 2019

I was very pleased with Home Warranty of America up until this particular time with Sears. I had a really bad time with Sears who recently came out here. I paid them on the spot when the tech was here, and then I got a bill. Then I had a lot of trouble getting the situation straightened out. Home Warranty of America didn’t wanna call Sears, and I said, “You’re my representative, and you need to help me take care of this.” And finally, we got it straightened out and they told me to disregard it. They sent me a $100 bill that I’d already paid.

Up until this situation with Sears, I have been very pleased and have recommended HWA to other people. And now, that I have recommended it to other people and had so much trouble with Sears, I’m a little skeptical. With that particular situation, I was very dissatisfied and wasn’t happy with them at all. It was very stressful. Other than that, the contractors that they sent did the job, and things have been working since they left. I was told when they’d be here, and they showed up on time. I’ve always had good people come here. Brothers Appliance was wonderful, and they told me they weren’t available. The situation with Sears was not good, and I told HWA that in the future, I do not want Sears to come back out here.

Good Morning Janet,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 10, 2019

This company is terrible. Stay away. The sellers of our home purchased a plan for us when we bought our new house. The whole thing is a sham. We had a pipe that rusted out behind a wall and burst open about four months ago. I called into HWA and they wanted to send out a pipe repair company that has a 1 star rating online and pay a $100 deposit for them to take a look at it. Ummm... no. I assume the pipe repair company has a 1 star rating for a (bad) reason. So I got approval from HWA to get my own vendor (since their vendor was booked up for a while anyway) and had the vendor call HWA and get approval for the work ahead of time (and I called HWA to verify they had called and were all set before they started the work).

Now, after the work is done, they refuse to reimburse us for ANY of it! Not even a portion! Supposedly they just cover "spot repair" on the pipes, not the actual pipes themselves. We actually had the "spot repair" done as an emergency short-term fix before the pipe could be replaced, but were told by several plumbers that a spot repair is just a temporary fix and shouldn't be trusted for more than a few weeks to keep the water in. They received the "spot repair" invoice and won't even reimburse us for that.

I crossed through all the hoops with HWA - I put in a claim, let them know ahead of time what work would be done, sent the invoices multiple times, have called about a dozen times to check on the status of the claim, etc. - but they just send me in circles and refuse to pay. I've had other issues in the home since (refrigerator leaking, disposal not working), but I know they aren't even worth the hassle of calling. It won't get anyway and their partner companies are crappy companies with bad reputations. Unbelievable. What a total scam and a waste of money. STAY AWAY!

Hi Erin,

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience and frustration in regards to your plumbing claim. Regarding coverage, once a claim is submitted, a technician will come out to officially diagnosis the problem. The coverage will be based on the technician's diagnosis, recommended solution and the contract terms. Should there be any additional out of pocket expenses such as modifications or items not covered by the warranty, this will be discussed with you prior to any repairs or replacements. Unfortunately, not all claims can be (completely) covered per the contract's exclusions.

There are instances when we do not have an available vendor in the area and we offer the homeowner the ability to secure their own vendor to service the claim while held responsible for all upfront costs to the vendor and be reimbursed at HWA costs which may be less than retail cost in addition to the trade call fee should the claim be covered with a paid invoice. Reimbursements may be issued in the form of a check within 4-6 weeks or a Tango card within 3-5 business days via email.

Upon review of your claim, we are still awaiting information from the vendor in regards to the length of pipe that was leaking as the invoice only indicated the amount of pipe that was replaced. Once this information has been received, we will then be able to calculate a reimbursement amount for your claim.

Original review: May 10, 2019

At times, submitting a claim has gone very smoothly, other times, it hasn't. When we had a problem with our washing machine in particular, I had to go back and forth with Home Warranty of America numerous times in order to come up with a resolution that would work. They wanted to fix the washing machine even though the cost of the fix would have been more than a new machine. The reason I didn't want to fix it was because they didn't cover the seal of the machine, which had to be replaced.

The problem was the shaft broke, and it broke all of the spinning. The drum no longer had the shaft attached to it, so it started leaning as it was spinning on the seal and burned it up. HWA wanted to repair it, but they didn't wanna pay for the seal. The seal was well over 100 bucks. So, I fought with that. Eventually, we agreed on an amount of money that they gave me, and I went out and bought my own new machine. But when we've had air conditioning problems, the claims process went much more smoothly.

The reps at HWA have been extremely helpful at times. But at other times, they haven't been a lot of help. We're supposed to have a maintenance person come out every year and run a check on our furnace and air conditioner. Our house is broken up into two zones. So, there's a furnace and an air conditioner bridge. Because of the fact that HWA changed people that they have contracts with about every year, I always call them before I schedule somebody out. Sometimes, the reps are very forthcoming with the information, other times, it's a little more difficult.

The contractors that they've sent out have been good. I wish that HWA didn't drop some of the really excellent ones that I dealt with. But there's a lot of changeover in the contracts. So, it is something that I've learned to live with. Also, I wish HWA would be a little bit more proactive in terms of identifying who the vendors are and they could send out a list of the vendors annually. So I don't have to go through the household trying to find whoever it is that can give me that information in order to get it. There are certain things in my house that I have to have checked every year, and it would work best would be if I get a complete list of every heating and air conditioning group that HWA is affiliated with in the part of Phoenix that I'm in, and then I could just go down the list.

Home Warranty of America response

In the event that the out of pocket expenses are not approved by the homeowner, HWA will calculate a cash offer(buyout) at HWA rates which may be less than retails rates that the homeowner may accept to proceed with the claim outside of the warranty.

If you would like further clarification about your contract's terms, or if you have other questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to our live chat agents at www.hwahomewarranty.com and we will be happy to assist you. Thank you and have an amazing day!

Original review: May 9, 2019

We've had Home Warranty of America since we bought the place in 2014. It’s easy to submit claims and contact them online. It’s also just easier for me to not change the warranty provider. Every single time I’ve needed service, HWA has been right on top of it. The vendors are typically contracted, so I've never asked them on who to come out for service. I just let them pick. Some of the people they've chosen to work have been fantastic. But some of them I don't like and I just let them know.

First, we had a water heater issue and the first plumbing company that they sent out tried to get us to buy an all new HVAC system. And they had a roofing department and they said that it wasn’t the water heater, it was our roof leaking. I called HWA and I told them that this was not okay and asked them to send someone else. So, they sent out somebody right away and that person was able to help us. So, the first vendor was garbage and the second one was great. But through that Home Warranty of America, it was really good. One time, something happened with our air conditioner and it was the first hundred-degree-day. It was a Friday night and I thought that I would have to go the whole weekend, but I called them and I had a vendor call me on Saturday morning to come out. That was amazing.

There was also an appliance person that never finished his job and never responded to my phone calls or emails. He replaced the sprayer thing on the dishwasher, but he didn’t really replace it. He left the part at my door for me to replace it. And then while he was there looking at it, originally he pulled the seal a little bit. So, if my door doesn’t close right away, it leaks out a little bit of water. It still not fixed, but it’s not a big deal. That’s the only complaint I’ve ever filed to them. They just went ahead and took the complaint. I don’t remember having anybody follow up with me as far as resolving that. But they did follow up to make sure my issue was finished as far as the water heater went. They called and asked if everything was handled on an old claim and if there was nothing else, they would close it. Overall, Home Warranty of America has been very quick to handle everything and they’re always very nice.

Good Afternoon,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We want you to feel comfortable sharing good or bad news. We're sorry that your experience with us fell short of expectations. We are working diligently to improve processes within our company to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction. As a friendly reminder, we do warranty 30 days on labor and 90 days on parts from the date of service. Please don't hesitate to contact us by phone or live chat should you need our assistance or have any questions or concerns. Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

Original review: May 9, 2019

Submitting claims through Home Warranty of America hasn’t been too bad. I haven't gotten as much coverage as I would like to have out of issues that we've had for the last year, but they've been reasonable. The contractors have been solid workmen, and they seem to know their craft. They've worked very well with me and with Home Warranty.

Home Warranty of America response

Thank you for the review, James! We are glad we could assist in your home repairs! We appreciate your business! Have a great week!

Home Warranty of America coverage exclusions

In some instances, there are parts of otherwise covered items that will be excluded from coverage, so it’s important to read your contract to fully understand what “coverage” for each item truly entails. Home Warranty of America does specify some coverage exclusions, which is typical for all home warranty service plans. Typically parts that are not essential to the item performing its core function may be excluded. For example, while dishwashers are covered by both of HWA’s plans, racks, baskets, rollers and door seals are not covered. Similarly, the electrical system coverage won’t cover items like fixtures. You can find a full list of exclusions on Home Warranty of America's sample contract.

Home Warranty of America coverage limits

Home Warranty of America’s coverage limits per term are no more than $5,000 per covered item or $15,000 total per contract term. Standard across home warranty companies, none of their plans cover pre-existing conditions. Specific coverage limits and maximum payouts can depend on the specific appliance or system in need of repair or replacement, outlined in the chart below.

ItemHome Warranty of America’s coverage limit
Electrical or plumbing rust and corrosion$2,000
Heating systems, tankless water heaters, well pumps, saltwater pool equipment$1,500
In-ground pool and spa equipment, water heaters, stand-alone ice makers or freezers$1,000
Ductwork and plumbing systems$1,000 for inaccessible items
Roof leak repair, septic systems, toilets, water softeners$500
Burglar and fire alarm systems, ceiling and exhaust fans, central vacuums$400
Refrigerant$10/pound

Home Warranty of America claims

Claims can be submitted 24/7, including holidays, online or through their toll-free number. Emergency services can be rushed at HWA’s discretion. Someone over the age of 18 must be present in the home during the repair.

How to request service from Home Warranty of America:

1. Submit a claim online or over the phone as soon as an issue is discovered.
  2. HWA will contact an authorized technician within 48 hours to schedule your requested repair.
  3. Pay the service call fee ($75 or $100, depending on your plan).

Should the repair fail or the same issue occur again within the service recall period (90 days on parts and 30 days on labor), HWA will send a technician to complete new repairs without charging you a service fee or any other additional costs.

Home Warranty of America FAQ

What is Home Warranty of America’s premium coverage option?

Premium coverage expands your standard coverage to include protection for equipment and parts that aren’t standard to home warranty contracts, namely fixtures and accessories like shower heads or dishwasher racks. The plan option covers 30+ items.

What is Home Warranty of America’s cancellation policy?

You can cancel your contract at any time but need to cancel within 30 days to receive a full refund. Cancelling after 30 days will include a small cancellation fee of $30 or 10 percent of the contract fee, whichever is less. Overall, we’ve seen far higher cancellation fees among other companies.

Is a home inspection required by Home Warranty of America?

No. No inspection is required and you will not be denied coverage based on the age of your home, systems or appliances.

Is Home Warranty of America worth it?

Home Warranty of America has several aspects that stand out and make it a good option for homeowners looking for coverage for their systems and appliances.

Home Warranty of America’s record of satisfied homeowners, focus on fast, effective and professional service and number of coverage choices, making it a top choice in home warranties. Both the Premier and the Premier Plus plans from Home Warranty of America offer substantial coverage and peace of mind for homeowners. Our favorite features include the Premier Protection plan, which adds coverage for parts like fixtures and appliance accessories. This coverage is not common to home warranty service plans, and it’s an affordable add-on that really extends the value of your contract. Additionally, the GreenPlus and OrangePlus add-ons make Home Warranty of America one of the most inclusive providers we’ve seen.

Home Warranty of America Company Information