Call toll free
2.77/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At Home Warranty of America, Inc. we have built our business on simplifying the lives of our customers and helping them immediately, in times of great need and uncertainty. We strive to always offer our customers fast, easy solutions with our network of qualified service technicians.

Home Warranty of America specializes in home warranty plans, real estate, home sellers warranty, appliance warranty, and home protection plans. Whether you are planning to sell your home, buy a new one, or just staying in your home, we can save you money and time, and bring you peace of mind when you need it most. Get a free quote from us today!

BBBB Rating
View More View More

1971 Home Warranty of America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 4 featured reviews
Original review: March 16, 2019

Submitting claims to Home Warranty of America is easy online but I'm dissatisfied with our most recent claim. When their contractor was trying to look for a leak, they put a hole in it and said it was gonna be covered but it wasn't covered. Other than that, I usually have a positive experience.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Signing up for HWA was pretty easy. Thus far, their claims process has been straightforward for us. We’ve had some ups and downs with their reps, but for the most part, working with them has been all good. When we submit claims during the week, we get a contractor out within a day or so. Sometimes, we wait a little longer over a weekend but still, they usually come out within a couple of days. I haven't had problems with any of their techs.

Original review: March 10, 2019

We're a property management company and have a lot of properties with a lot of warranties. For one of the properties, a claim with Home Warranty of America was called in for a heating unit. Then the vendor called to schedule an appointment and they were dispatched within 24 hours. It was really quick. They had to come back with the parts and they got the issue taken care of. I was very happy with Home Warranty of America.

Original review: March 9, 2019

We did some of the cost that goes with home ownership and put a warranty on our property. Having one is very valuable. It saves us a lot of money. We've been with Home Warranty of America for over 10 years and most of the big things we have in the house have been covered. There have been very few things that were not covered. Besides that, the reps have always been courteous and professional when we submit claims over the phone.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I submitted a claim for plumbing leaks in a toilet and 2 faucets. I asked that the claim be assigned to a specific service provider that I used in the past. The original claim was incorrect. I had to spend considerable time on the phone to clarify. The service provider explained that I needed to replace the faucets and the toilet. HWA denied everything and re-assigned to another service provider.

I called, spoke with someone in Chicago (so he said). Very rude, told me they were negotiating prices with the service provider. Called again, someone else told me that they never heard from the service provider. Called yet again, they told me that they only covered replacement with builder chrome faucets, cheapest. I asked that they send me the fees that they would cover so that I can pay the difference. They do not do that. I asked that they give me a reason for denial. They do not do that. I asked for a supervisor to discuss this further. They do not do that. DO NOT BOTHER TO PAY $75.00 A MONTH FOR THIS. IT'S JUST NOT WORTH IT. YOU WILL NEVER RECEIVE THE SERVICES THEY ADVERTISE.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Morning, Patricia. We are sorry that your recent plumbing claim was not handled to your satisfaction. Please keep in mind that our warranty's coverage provides for a repair or replacement of systems or appliances with comparable equipment. The contract does not cover any upgraded systems or appliances, which is why the initial tech's request for a high end faucet was denied. At that time, the technician requested for the job to be reassigned, not HWA. The claim itself was not denied, just the request for upgraded faucets. It is disappointing to hear that your experience with our Care Team was anything less than outstanding, and we will be reviewing those interactions so that we may deliver the appropriate feedback to the representatives in question. We appreciate you taking the time to submit this review, and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future. Thank you - Jack

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?

Original review: March 8, 2019

I bought a house in 2012 that was six years old and it has a pool and two zones of heating and cooling. I had more things to worry about than I usually do. My realtor suggested it was a good idea to purchase a home warranty policy and I decided that it would be a wise idea. I went online, reviewed various organizations and selected Home Warranty of America.

Although the contractors were relatively timely and not noticeably dilatory in getting to me, a couple of them were below the standards that I would have kept for myself for contractors. I had both air-conditioners replaced and one person came in and completely misdiagnosed the problem. He wanted to sell me a whole new unit when I just needed a line pump out. He was a decent contractor, but more of a salesman. I also had a blip with Home Warranty of America in the beginning and it was a technical error on their part. They misunderstood aspects of their own policy and it took a while to correct that. They hadn't acknowledged the fact I had paid the second years’ worth of insurance, but generally, Home Warranty of America has been fine.

Anytime you're submitting a claim and asking for money, there is going to be no great enthusiasm on the part of home warranty, but they made it easier recently to make a claim online and I have re-up a couple of times now with them. I've had an ice maker, a microwave, a stove-top and a dishwasher fixed. 7 out of 10 contractors have been superb, and I've used them again even on non-warranty claims. Because I moved to this area, I didn't have access readily to a service provider, so I got to know some people, ended up doing additional business with them and it's been all in all positive.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Home Warranty of America's contractors would come out for service a couple of days after we report the issue and would notify us when they're on their way. The last repair guy we dealt with was very polite and professional. His service was excellent too. He explained what the issue was and what needed to be done, and he cleaned up after himself.

Original review: March 6, 2019

My hot water heater went out around the beginning of January 2019. HWA sent out a plumber a week later. That plumber said he could fix the problem but HWA would not let him. HWA then said they had to send out another plumber... Why they sent out one that couldn't help? I have no idea. Next plumber comes out a week later. It has been over two weeks now. This plumber tells me that there will be "extra fees" and that HWA will not cover the service in full. I am frustrated but after a few hours on the phone with both HWA and the plumber I agree to the charges. HWA says this must go through their "claims review team"...whatever that means. I don't hear anything for a few hours so I ask the plumber what’s going on but he doesn't answer and my wife tells me he has left!

I call the plumber again and he answers telling me that HWA has not approved the job and he can't work until they do. I call HWA and they tell me they have approved the job. I call the plumber back and he tells me they have not. This goes on for a few days. Finally, after a month of no one doing anything I get an outside vendor to come and fix the issue. They show up day of the call and fix the issue in a few hours. HWA then tells me they will not pay the claim because an outside vendor did the work. I call back a week later and a rep tells me to submit the invoice and they will look at it. Weeks go by, no answer. It is now March and there is no resolution. Save your money, go elsewhere or just put $800 in the bank every year.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Morning, Christopher. We are sorry to see that your claim for the hot water heater caused frustration and upset. In reviewing the claim details today, we found that the original claim was filed on 1/4/19 and the first technician was at your home on 1/8. Notes indicate that the tech was not able to work on your particular type of water heater, so a second company was contacted and their tech was dispatched on 1/9/19. We can also see that your claim was approved for coverage as of 1/9/19, which was within five days of the original filing. It appears that the claim processing was then delayed, as the work was performed by a vendor of your choice instead of the vendor sent by HWA. It appears that the authorization team is now in the process of reviewing the invoices to determine the next steps. We hope that this has helped clear up any confusion, Christopher. Thank you for taking some time to share a review, and have a great day! - Jack

Original review: March 6, 2019

I've been with HWA for 14 years and up until this year, their people that had been out were always doing a good job and trustworthy. When my refrigerator went out it took me two and a half months to get a refrigerator. The first one that was delivered wouldn't fit so they took it back. They couldn't get another one until they got it to the warehouse. And then, it took more time to get that delivered too. The people didn't call me back and get me updated on what was going on. So I was not happy this year. But other than that, I've been very pleased with them.

I've been very pleased with the technicians. The customer service reps always had someone here quickly. I came back from a family trip for Christmas one year, and the furnace had gone out and they had someone here the very next day. HWA and the contractor worked together to get here because I told the people that called to make an appointment, "What a misery! I was freezing to death." And they said, "We'll be there in the morning." I'm pleased with their business.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I submitted a claim on 11-20-2018 and as of today 3-5-2019 I am still getting the runaround from the claims department and no repairs have been made, at all. I am out the $100 for the repair company to come and assess the problem, but I am now going to have to have it fixed by someone else because I need my stove. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM. Go read the BBB and all the 1400+ complaints submitted.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I bought a house in 2015 and HWA was part of that purchase. I had a bunch of problems with that house -- electrical, with the oven, a bunch of things went wrong with it, and all was taken care of under the policy. So when I bought this house last year, I asked for the home warranty again because I've had a good service. Their reps are very pleasant and quick to respond. I go on their website,and fill out the little online request whatever is wrong with the house. It is very easy to navigate and then I have someone who’ll call me back. As a matter of fact, I kinda messed one up a couple of months ago when I clicked the wrong box. I called up and they responded right away. The longest that a contractor had came was five days because the weather was really bad, but mostly, it was a day or two and they had been professional.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Home Warranty of America’s mission statement of… ”simplifying the lives of our customers and helping them immediately, in times of great need and uncertainty…” is a stark contrast to what you will experience working with them. In fact, if you read their reviews on Consumeraffiars.com you will see a common theme of customers experiencing everything from dishonesty, unprofessionalism, and complete lack of transparency. Unfortunately, we are one of these customers. Here is our story.

On February 7, 2019 our furnace stopped working. We are 7 months into our full year contract with HWA, so I promptly called them to submit a claim. A service agent (who speaks little English) assures me a local contractor will be reaching out to me the same day to schedule a repair or replacement. Keep in mind we were in the “Polar Vortex” in Omaha, Nebraska during this period and the high was -10. Here begins our misery with HWA. No call was received the same day of my claim as promised. I have an 18 month old son and our family cannot afford to be without heat for long.

The next morning I decide to call the contractor, (Superior Heating & Cooling LLC) myself. I explained to the associate that I needed a technician to replace/maintenance our furnace immediately, and that HWA has submitted my claim. Her response was, “we are busy and it’s going to be a good 10 days before we can get to you.” Professionally, as an Air Force acquisition specialist who manages contracts, I understand what constitutes valid consideration on a contract. Our situation is a quintessential example. I promptly called HWA back to let them know their contractor is unviable within a reasonable time, and considering the below freezing temperatures this was unacceptable. The associate told me the only way they would cover the expense was if I went through Superior Heating & Cooling LLC. (Side Note: Superior Heating & Cooling LLC has horrific reviews on Yelp).

I asked to speak with a supervisor, who told me I could I could go through another contractor, and HWA would pay up to $5,000.00 in compensation. All I needed to do was have them call HWA before they began any work. I contacted Aksarben ARS, a local HVAC contractor in Omaha, who was at my house the same day I called, and could replace my furnace within 24 hours! Now here is where HWA fails to fulfill their mission statement. The estimated cost to replace our furnace came to $10,000.00. Our expectation was that HWA would pay $5,000.00 (the max allowable in our contract).

When I called to get the refund quote on February 8 2019, after the Aksarben ARS contractor answered their technical questions, I was told the maximum they would provide is $930.00. I was dumfounded. I am not a HVAC technician, but I know that there is no way you can purchase a new furnace and pay for installation for $930.00. When I asked how HWA arrived at this number they simply told me they have “special relationships” with their own contractors and that is the price they would pay. I asked for my claim to be escalated for further review, as this sum was unacceptable.

Keep in mind that HWA put us, for lack of better words, “between a rock and a hard spot,” because their own contractor could not get to us within a reasonable timeframe, and with temperatures below freezing our family could not wait 10 days for a replacement system. If we did wait, I’d have to find other living accommodations for my 18 month old son AND risk our pipes freezing.

The following week I received a call from HWA with an update on our claim. The associate stated that after review they would provide us $735.00 in a refund. I reminded her that just the week before I was quoted $930.00. When I ask for an explanation on how the refund decreased by almost $200.00 I was given the same response (again). This is the cost that we pay for replacement and maintenance, and therefore this is what we can offer you. Again, $735.00 for a furnace replacement is certainly not realistic and this refund is not acceptable.

HWA needs to recognize that part of fulfilling a contract is doing so with a reasonable timeframe. The customer should not suffer the burden of HWA’s incompetent contractors. We expected HWA to take this into consideration when assessing our refund, however they did not. As of today, March 4, 2019 I am still waiting on a response from HWA who continues to “escalate” our claim. I believe HWA bets on customers ultimately becoming so frustrated by speaking with multiple customer service agents who can’t provide any transparency, or a reasonable resolution that they give up. So far, HWA is right.

We are tired of calling and fighting for this company to treat us fairly and provide consideration and fulfill their contract. When I read HWA’s reviews on consumeraffairs.com I realized we were not alone. If this company was transparent and honest, there would not be hundreds of negative reviews. HWA is in the business of making sure they pay as little as possible at the expense of the customer. Our case remains open, and we and we have not head back from an agent since the week of February 25th.

I hope this review is helpful for those looking for home warranty protection. Going forward, my husband and I plan to take our case to the Better Business Bureau. I will not be surprised if someday soon I read about a class action suit regarding HWA’s deceptive sales practices. For now, our story joins the hundreds of other unsatisfied customers.

Original review: March 4, 2019

We bought our new house and was given Home Warranty of America as our company through our lender. We should have read the reviews and done some research on a better warranty company. We have had two separate plumbing blockages and two separate plumbing companies contracted with HWOA come to evaluate the issues. Both contracted plumbers spent less than 3 minutes evaluating the blockage. They promptly collected our $60 co-pay and said the only way to unblock the pipe is to go through the roof to access it which is conveniently not covered by HWOA.

We called our own independent plumbers and they came out each time and fixed the blocked pipe in 20 minutes WITHOUT having to go on the roof to unblock. We later looked up the plumbers that they contract with and most have 0-1 stars. This is very suspicious for a quick $60 scam that the plumbers do which works out for HWOA as well since they then don’t have to cover it. Two separate contracted plumber companies and the same scam. Meanwhile, the independent plumbers get it done with no issues. Avoid HWOA at all costs unless their contracted companies in your area have better ratings.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Jim. We can certainly understand how finding out a proposed resolution to the claim is not covered under the warranty, and we are sorry for any frustration this caused. After reviewing the claim notes today, we can see that the second technician to visit your home did advise us that he could try to clear the clogs by snaking the pipes, but because the piping was very old and brittle, he made no guarantees. The subsequent notes show that his attempt to snake the lines were unsuccessful, leaving the only other option to be clearing through the roof vent. Since this type of access is not covered under the contract, the claim was not eligible for coverage. We are sorry that you were dissatisfied with this resolution, Jim. If you have any additional questions or concerns, we would be happy to help address them. Please don't hesitate to connect with one of our Live Chat agents on www.hwahomewarranty.com for further assistance. Thank you, and have a great week. - Jack

Original review: March 4, 2019

When HWA was presented to us, we did a quick search, and everything appeared to be sufficient, nothing derogatory that jumped out at us. So we made the decision to purchase it, plus it was our first used home, and we thought it was a good investment to protect the stuff that way. We used the warranty a couple of time and the service has been great. They’ve been timely so we do continue to purchase it every year and this is our fourth year.

I prefer the online submission of claims but a couple of times, I don't know what wasn’t working correctly, so I've had to call. HWA just have to make sure that their website for online ordering is functioning at all times. And then, one of the times was, because of how I worded something, it wouldn’t take the claim and said I had to call, but it did not do a good job of explaining why I needed to call. It would also be nice if their online system would actually spell out what is covered.

But the last one I did for our furnace, I did online. It propped up that I got to select who was there before. It was a very seamless and painless process. The technicians typically come within the two to three business days. I haven't been in a situation where something is leaking or I haven't had heat so the two to three-day timeframe is very acceptable in my book. Out of the four times we've seen somebody, they’ve all been fantastic. Everything has been expected, and what they will cover and what I have to pay are all spelled out. .

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 3, 2019

Signing up with Home Warranty of America was not difficult and I've been with them for about three years. My claims are handled by a property manager. I've had mixed interactions with Home Warranty of America's customer service. If I had done my homework better, my negative experiences with them could have been a little smoother.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi Donald, and thank you for providing this feedback. We are disappointed to hear that you have had some negative interactions with our care team. Our goal is to always provide an outstanding customer experience, and we are sorry if we missed the mark in your case. We appreciate your loyalty, and we thank you for taking some time to submit a review. Have a wonderful day! - Jack

Original review: March 2, 2019

We had made two claims to Home Warranty of America so far. The first one was about a garbage disposal that worked once, and the second time we turned on the switch, nothing happened. The contractor came, and we had to pay the $100 fee for the mechanic to come, and they replaced the garbage disposal, and they did that very quickly.

The second claim was when we ran into a problem with our refrigerator. It worked fine, but there's a control on the front of the refrigerator that tells the temperature of the refrigerator, which was 37 degrees, and the other one says the temperature of the freezer, which was set at 0. But it would change the temperature of the freezer without us touching it. It would go from 0 down to -6 in increments of 1. Then it would go from -6, it would jump back up to +8, and then it would work its way back down again. And each time it changed temperature, it would start dinging. At 3 in the morning while we were sleeping, we would hear this dinging.

Home Warranty sent out Golden & Golden and I paid them the $100 to come. First, they looked at it to determine what they felt was wrong with it. And then they came back with what they called the thermostat, and they changed it but it did not solve the problem. So, later on they determined that we were gonna get a new main circuit board for the refrigerator which was at the back of the refrigerator, but nobody could find it to replace it because the refrigerator is 13 years old, and parts aren’t readily available. I got a call from Home Warranty that they had secured a rebuilt, and they said they were gonna mail it to my home, and once I received it, I have to call Golden & Golden to come and install it, which was what we did. It also did not solve the problem. Now, we’re going into six months of this.

I called Home Warranty and told them that it has been going on a long time and asked if we could get somebody from Kenmore to come and look at it because the people from Golden & Golden were not capable of repairing it. So they sent somebody from Kenmore, and the fellow came, and he looked it. I did not have to pay him an extra charge. It was covered by my first initial payment. He told me that I might need the circuit board that goes on the front of the refrigerator where the actual temperature was changing. Then he reported that back to Home Warranty. The next thing I knew, I got a call from Home Warranty that that part was no longer available. They couldn’t find it, so they were going to give me a new refrigerator.

They offered me a specific model from GE. They offered me $1,700 cash and I could pick out my own refrigerator and then I would be paying for the installation, or I could go to either Best Buy or one of those stores, and see if I could pick out a different refrigerator, and whether or not they would cover it. So I looked in Best Buy and I found a refrigerator that was comparable to the one they offered me and bought it. They delivered and installed it, and they took the old one away. The two gentlemen that came to install it were very good. They did a very good job.

Everything worked out well. Everything is fine now because the old refrigerator was gone, no more dinging, and I have a brand new refrigerator at no cost to me since it was covered by the warranty. But Home Warranty could have done a better job of finding somebody better to resolve the problem. I felt that the claim could have been resolved a lot sooner had they had somebody more competent.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Home Warranty of America was recommended by somebody that we had interaction with in terms of the purchase of the home. And we’ve now been here for about two years. Our house was built in '91, so most of the heater, washer-dryer, and all those things were fairly old. So eventually, they will all need either replacing or repairing. But right now, everything's fine.

We had some trouble with the air-conditioning unit last summer and it was under warranty, so we called Home Warranty of America and they sent out a service person. The guy looked at the unit and told us what the problem was and what it was gonna cost, but we said that it was too much. Home Warranty of America didn't cover the repair and we got charged the $60 for the visit. Then we had somebody who we knew and was in the air-conditioning business came over, and it was some really simple thing that had to be replaced. The unit works fine now.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

2 weeks after being in our new home we had a water back up after doing laundry. We placed our claim to HWA on Feb 15 and referred us to Mount Plumbing. Our first appointment was to be at 5pm Feb 19th. No call no show from contractor. Called and got a new appointment for 5pm Feb 21st - technician did not have what he needed to fix. 3rd appointment set for Feb 26th 5pm - technician finished his job early prior to our appointment came to my home 1 hour early and decided he did not want to wait for us to be home at 5pm. I had been in contact with HWA to let them know the service or lack of that I was having and my option was to find my own provider and pay upfront and get reimbursed and it may not be reimbursed for the full amount paid. Ridiculous!! I feel bad that the previous homeowner spent the money to purchase this and it is a joke.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Shawn. We are sorry to see that you had a negative experience with your plumbing claim, and we apologize for the frustration. We do have a dedicated vendor selection team, and can certainly submit your feedback regarding your experience with the service provider assigned to your claim. In the event that our customer chooses to secure their own vendor, HWA will reimburse at our rates, which may be less than retail cost. The reason for this is that the majority of service providers have a significant up-charge, which is not covered under our contracts. We are pleased to see that the work has been completed and a buyout is in process. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future, Shawn. Thank you for taking the time to submit a review for us, and we hope you have a great week. Thank you - Jack

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

The realtor when I was buying my house gave me a list of five different warranty companies. I compared the different things that were covered and it seemed like Home Warranty of America covered more. Also, the companies were all the same price-wise. The sign up with Home Warranty was easy. Last year, I had to have my hot water heater replaced. I paid extra when I upgraded the plan on its renewal. Home Warranty was supposed to have the option of doing the tankless. But the guy who came out said tankless wasn’t an option and that I wasn't allowed to have it.

I didn't have time to argue with anyone because my brother had died the day before. But when things settled down, I went back and looked at the option. For what I paid for, there were all these upgrades on stuff. I went to say, “ I’m paying for this. I need to get a tankless system put in.” But Home Warranty denied it. I almost just cancelled my warranty and went with someone else right then and there.

The biggest issue I have with Home Warranty is there’s all this different service with people. There's this one guy who can come out and work on my air conditioning unit. He’s usually at my house once or twice a year. He came in and said things were wired wrong and I told him that he was the one that wired it. I've only had two things done which are the HVAC unit and the hot water heater. The HVAC guy had to come back about every six months. It was always something different.

I think they need to spend a little more time and look and get everything fixed at once. I’m giving the technician 75 and Home Warranty is paying him even more so he can come out one time and fix it. The technician usually always comes at night or on the weekends. He has a fulltime job that he does during the daytime. There are times he would come out to work on my unit at 7:30 or 8:00 at night. That, sometimes, is a little inconvenient. Other than that, I’ve recommended Home Warranty to other people.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

February 13th my furnace stopped working. I called that day and a technician came out the next day. Had he been able to complete the repair, things would have been great. Unfortunately, a part was needed and this is where things went sideways. February 15th I call HWA to see if the part was approved. I was told they got the information from the repair company but couldn't tell me if the part was approved yet. Monday February 18th, I call HWA and get told the part was approved but they didn't have status about it being ordered. February 19th I was told the part was ordered by HWA (the HVAC contractor apparently doesn't get to order the parts - who knew?).

February 20th, 1 week without heat and 51 degrees in my house, I wake up ill and cannot go to work. No calls to HWA this day. I call on Thursday, HWA now gives me the FedEx tracking number. I check on the item, it was ordered 5-day ground shipping... not due to be delivered until end of business February 22nd. Friday, February 23rd I call the HVAC company and they won’t schedule an appointment for me until the part is in hand and they don't work weekends so I already know I am looking at several more days with no heat and I am sick. I watch the FedEx site and they try to deliver the part to the HVAC company and at 4:30pm there is a note they couldn't deliver it. Looks like the HVAC people went home early on Friday. I call HWA and ask for an escalation. I was told someone would call me by end of day, no later than Saturday morning.

Monday February 25th, no escalation call so I call HWA again. I talk to a nice gal that is the escalation person. She gives me her name and email and again I am waiting for the part to be delivered. At 4:08pm, FedEx finally delivers the part. The HVAC company is open until 5pm but alas, even though the part is delivered at 4:08pm, no one answers the phone at 4:12pm so I leave a message. No return call. February 26, still no return call from HVAC company so I call them at 9:30am. after several calls went straight to voicemail, I finally get a person only to be on hold for 12 minutes.

I finally get to talk to someone who schedules the soonest appointment: February 28th! I took the appointment and called HWA begging for someone to help me escalate with the HVAC folks. No luck and when I asked for a supervisor, I was told there was nothing more a supervisor could do for me either. I insisted on a call back. I was told I would get one. I now wait for a call that won’t come and a technician that won’t be here for 2 more days. Overall notes: 15 days of no heat, multiple calls to HWA talking to people that gave misleading information and calls to the HVAC company (lowest rated company in the area) that generally went to voicemail with no return call or talks to a live person that seemed annoyed with my call.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Everybody should really have a home warranty so if things break down, you won’t have to pay a lot of money having them fixed, especially ones that you don’t have insurance on anymore. Our house and a lot of our appliances are not that old. But with the ones that we might need to have fixed, I thought it was a no-brainer to get a home warranty. It was very easy to sign up for Home Warranty of America. Their reps were excellent. They were very professional and courteous.

One problem that we had with Home Warranty of America was it took them a long time to get somebody to come out to fix the issue with our downstairs bathroom. But the gentleman that came out was determined to fix the problem. We thought it was a sump pump but it was called something else. We needed to get another one. It’s fixed now so we don’t have any problem. That was the only thing that we had a problem with. All the other experiences that we had with Home Warranty of America were very good. We’ve been very satisfied.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Mildred. We agree, home warranties are certainly valuable in helping to offset the cost of higher end repairs that come up! We are so pleased to know that your overall experience has been so positive, and we really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Thank you, Mildred, and have a great day! - Jack

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

HWA made us wait for over a week (snow on the ground) for a heater repair. They then refused to pay the amount and would only cover 25% of the actual cost. It's been 8 weeks and still no money. My husband has called almost every day and emailed and still cannot get a straight answer.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi Lana. I see that we have responded to Zackary's review regarding this claim on another platform. If there are any remaining questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. Thank you - Jack

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Every time I had a problem I would call HWA and their reps have been very polite and very helpful. Usually the same day or the next day the repairman would call, make an appointment and would come out and they would fix it. And if it was not fixed properly, then they came back and I didn’t have to pay a second time, if it was the same, exact problem. So far, I've been happy with their service. But if they could lower the co-pay that would also be nice.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

When I bought my house, Home Warranty of America was part of the purchase. I've been with them for three years now. It is the first home warranty I ever had and I don’t have issues with them. Some of the claims I had were for my water heater, AC units, and the last one was for my stove. Everything has been speedy for the online claim process. If I make a claim, I usually get a call within 48 hours so it’s great. Also, their vendors have been great. They’re knowledgeable and helpful in everything.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

They have done nothing but lied and given us the runaround regarding reimbursing us on this claim that WE had to pay for out of our pockets. Do not believe these reviews that are 5 stars. Look at the BBB claims and Consumer Affairs and GOOGLE reviews. They are AWFUL and dishonest.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Morning Elizabeth. We can certainly understand the frustration that you have experienced with the delays in getting your buyout processed. We sincerely apologize, as this is not the type of experience we want for any of our homeowners. In reviewing the claim notes today, we can see that the buyout amount and terms have yet to be accepted. Once that occurs, the buyout can be processed. Please contact us either by phone or Live Chat, if you prefer, to finalize the buyout. Live Chat agents can be reached from our website at www.hwahomewarranty.com. Thank you, Elizabeth, and we look forward to hearing from you. - Jack

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

So they finally decided after they sent contractor to my house that I needed a new dryer. Their contract states they will replace with a dryer with same functions or equal value. However my 2000 dryer with steam and over 13 cycles, they tried to replace with a dryer with 3 cycles nonstackable which I could not use. They refused to correct after over 30 phone calls and emails. THEY ARE DISHONEST!!! THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE CUSTOMER. So I finally cancelled with them and am seeking a new home warranty company.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Matthew. We are sorry to hear that the claim for your dryer was not resolved to your satisfaction, and that you have cancelled your warranty. We wish you all the best going forward, Matthew. Thank you - Jack

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I’ve probably had one of the worst experiences possible with these people. They owe me money on a claim and have not paid out. (It’s been 6 months.) I have to call constantly. They always say they’re going to send out the claim money (I’ve even been told they are expediting it) and they don’t. They have even tried to transfer cost onto me that they were being charged by their vendors. Home visits are supposed to be $75 but when their contractors charge them more, be aware, that they will try to transfer that cost to you. I’m about a month out from my policy expiring and I have no hope that I’ll receive any of that money. I think they are preying on new homeowners. Save your money.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Morning Meghan. We certainly understand the upset when more funds are requested. When a contractor is sent out to the home a basic trade call fee payment is always due, but in certain circumstances they are still allowed to offer additional services such as maintenance cleaning of the unit. If the homeowner agrees to pay the extra costs the technician will be able to get any extra work done. In alignment with our coverage, if they contractor has pre-authorization and is able to get the work done while at the home there are some instances where non-covered work has to be done or replaced on the system in question. This has to be done to ensure that the system as a whole is operating at full capacity and if a homeowner ever has any questions as to why more costs are being charged to them we certainly want them to ask the contractor directly so that they have all the information available to better understand what work was completed.

At this time if you are still waiting on a buyout to be provided back to you directly, please feel free to connect with one of our digital agents M-F 8am-5pm(CST) or by emailing us at Digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com and a member of our department will be able to follow up on the status of this check for you. -Adrien

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

In July 2018 we purchased a house in Phoenix, Arizona in 116°F weather. A home inspector tested our air-conditioning system and indicated that all inspected components of the air-conditioning system were acceptable, and made no recommendations of repairs. A 12 month warranty with Home Warranty of America was obtained with the purchase of the house. We ran the system heavily all summer and paid sizable electrical bills but were always pleased with how quickly could cool our place.

No modifications or repairs were done to the system until near freezing weather in January when the 30-year-old Trane AC compressor failed. No cause was given for this failure by the technician, and none of the traditional problems that contribute to AC compressor failure applied. The technician said the warranty company would have to authorize a replacement compressor, and I would be contacted by HWA. After a week of hearing nothing, I called HWA and was told that my claim was denied. I called the owner of the AC company dispatched to inspect the AC system to understand the reasoning, and here's what he relayed.

The technician noted that a testing pin on the defrost board was left on (by someone prior to July 2018). This is not a failure of maintenance, not caused by anything we did or could have done to the system, and the owner of the AC company likewise expressed surprise that our claim was denied. The cause HWA attributes to the AC compressor failure was not caused by us, nothing that could be easily noticed or found, is not something checked with typical AC maintenance, and was not even noticed by the home inspector who wrote up the report that HWA's service contract is based upon. HWA will seize on to anything they possibly can find that is out of the ordinary and could be used to deny any expensive claims. Stay away from this company!

Home Warranty of America response

Good Morning, Steven. We can certainly understand the frustration that accompanies finding out a that a claim has been excluded from coverage, and we apologize for the upset that you have experienced. After reviewing the information in your review and the claim notes today, we can see that the defrost test pin being left on is what caused the eventual failure of your unit. Unfortunately, this does not fall under the normal wear and tear guidelines that are covered in our contracts. Instead, this would be considered an improper repair, which is specifically excluded from coverage, per the terms of the contract. If there are any other questions or concerns that we may address for you, please feel free to connect with one of our Live Chat agents on www.hwahomewarranty.com, or send us an email to digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com. Thank you, Steven. - Jack

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

We've had HMA for 9 years now. We have everything covered in our contract except things we don't have, like a pool motor, etc. The first call was for septic pumping, which went without a hitch. The second was to repair an air conditioning motor. This went without a hitch. The third call was for a leaking roof. HWA could not find a vendor in our area (Springfield, Mo) to do the job, so asked us to contact a vendor. There are several reasons HWA couldn't 'find' a vendor, which I'll point out shortly.

We contacted 4 roofing companies and they all said they do not deal with HWA because they never get paid. The fifth company we contacted said they would come out but wanted to be assured that WE would be responsible for the bill if HWA did not pay them. Reluctantly, we agreed. Forty five days later, HWA indicated through an email, that THEY had arranged for the roofing vendor to do the work and asked for a payment of $75 for the call. This really upset me to profess HWA made the vendor arrangements!

Our last call - 2 weeks ago - was for our garage door opener not going down all the way. It would stop after a few feet when closing. HWA contacted a door company, they came out 2 days later, discovered our unit didn't have safety sensors and couldn't "legally" work on it due to liability issues. I called the door company and they said the motor appeared to be weak and the unit would need to be replaced. They also said our door opener was old, which is why there were no sensors. The 'safety' aspect of the opener was built in.

NOTE: The door company called us and said they were completely frustrated with HWA because when they called their vendor phone number and put in their information, they would be on hold for over 15 minutes, then be disconnected! The vendor attempted to make contact twice, then gave up. The vendor also told us that HWA did call them back... after 5 o'clock and left a message! So, the vendor bowed out of the service, unless we wanted to hire them ourselves.

Then, HWA called us and said they could call Sears to see if they could look at it and perhaps 'replace' the motor. This is after 2 weeks with no door opener. I had been on a trip and my wife could not physically able to open the door on her own, so was stuck, without being able to use her car! As of today, the door opener still does not work. So, I'll get home, buy a new one, install it and drop HWA. Having spoken to a number of vendors, two things are evident: 1. HWA does not pay enough for a repair and vendors don't want to deal with this. 2. HWA apparently has a reputation of NOT paying the vendor's bill. They were the best, but now can be grouped with the worst.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon Robert. We certainly never like to hear from a homeowner or contractor that frustrations were caused in trying to get a claim processed. As of very recently within the last year we have removed our Roof Leak coverage from our new available contracts in many areas. This is highly due to the amount of contractors that are unable to work with a home warranty when it concerns the roof. When it concerns having to put a technician on the roof specialized insurance has to be on file to allow for the company to be contacted with a home warranty company. There are many companies that do not have the necessary details to be officially contracted under our company which overall can cause a delay in many well populated areas when there appears to be a roof leak and no technicians have current availability. Due to this and many differentiating factors, it was determined that this coverage would be ended in many territories. We are sorry to hear that you were affected strongly by the wait in getting this problem serviced in your home.

In regard to the garage door opener claim, we notified our Contractor Relations of the issues they had in getting their diagnosis submitted and have processed a request for their Territory Manager to connect with them to better assist in explaining the multiple platforms we have available, apart from calling in, to submit their diagnostic forms. Pertaining to the conversation when Sears was first assigned, within our contracts we are unable to determine what work can be done until a diagnosis is sent in from the assigned company and reviewed in comparison with the current coverage. After all details are obtain a resolution is then able to finalized and relayed to the contractor and homeowner.

If you have any questions relating to any pending claims or your overall home warranty with us please feel free to connect with our digital department at any time at Digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com with you full name, contract ID and property address. Thank you, Adrien.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I am a current customer who is extremely disappointed with the trustworthiness of this company. Long story short - I was approved for a project for about 1600$ by this company’s customer service. When the project was over and I sent HWA the bill from the contracting company I worked with - I was reimbursed 188$! Reached out to their customer service many many times stretched over months but they always gave a standard textbook answer about an auditor evaluating the enormous work that was done to equal 188$. Having wasted so many hours with this company I would like to give it a huge thumbs down.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Morning, Nikhil. We regret to hear that you were unsatisfied with the buyout amount for your plumbing claim. We do make a concerted effort to ensure that our reimbursement policy is outlined clearly in our contracts. Additionally, in cases where our customer chooses their own vendor, there are very specific guidelines that must be explained and agreed upon before we can move forward with claim processing. These guidelines include that reimbursement will be provided at HWA's standard repair costs and not based on current retail pricing. We are sorry that your experience was less than excellent, Nikhil. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again, and we wish you a wonderful day. - Jack

Home Warranty of America expert review by Michele Lerner

Home Warranty of America, Inc. (HWA) sells home warranties to protect owners from unexpected and expensive repairs. HWA was founded in 1996 and is headquartered in Illinois.

• Plan options: HWA offers multiple plan options so customers can choose the plan that offers the coverage they want. They have plans specifically designed for new homebuyers, existing home owners and home sellers.

• Coverage option tool: Interested consumers can visit the HWA website to see all the plan options. They can also use the coverage option tool to see how adding or removing certain types of coverage will affect their premium.

• GreenPlus: HWA’s GreenPlus option lets consumers add coverage that will replace a broken appliance or system with an Energy Star certified one. This coverage must be added on to plans for a small additional monthly fee.

• Older homes: HWA covers homes and appliances regardless of their age, and they do not require an inspection before coverage begins. As long as appliances and systems are in good working order on the policy effective date, they are covered for general wear and tear.

• Maintenance guides: HWA’s website features several home maintenance guides to help owners keep up with small but necessary tasks. The site also includes informational videos.

• Best for: first-time homebuyers, owners of older homes, home sellers and real estate professionals.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Home Warranty of America Company Information