toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Home Warranty of America

Hi James, thanks for taking the time to leave us this awesome review! We are proud to be your trusted home warranty provider, and to give you a little peace of mind when it comes to taking care of your home's repairs. We work hard to be sure that our homeowner's personal information stays safe and secure, and we appreciate you acknowledging that! If you ever have any questions in the future, please feel free to reach out to us, and we'd be happy to help. Have a fantastic day! -Jennifer

Original review: June 26, 2017

We’ve chosen to continue with Home Warranty of America year over year. It’s general coverage and they take care of what needs to be taken care of. When we moved here several years ago, the realtor hooked us up and we continued having it. We’ve owned several homes in places where work takes us. I was willing to try different companies and we had Shield. But of all the services that are out there, Home Warranty have been pretty consistent and haggle free, so I stayed with them.

The renewal process wasn’t difficult. Typically, I would talk to somebody on the phone and they would hook me up. I would always tell them I need to make sure they’re Home Warranty and they’d send me an email. So, they appreciate the questions that I would ask them along the way to confirm their legitimacy. Given the crazy world that we live in today, they’ve always been very solid. Even through the renewal process and making sure that I was comfortable and talking with the right people and not some stranger.

We’ve had them for 10 years and we have submitted claims. We’ve had issues with the air condition, the microwave and the dishwasher. In all three scenarios, the claims representative over the past years continues to be very solution-oriented. They explained how the process worked and they would put it out for bidding. Then that person would get to me. Every now and then, the person that they would assign it to wasn’t as prompt, but that has nothing to do with Home Warranty but with whom they sub-contract it to. I’ve never had any issues with the repairs. Home Warranty was very hospitable and understanding that I did all the care a reasonable person would do. Home Warranty did what they needed to do from their part, so I was happy with it.

With Home Warranty, I’m like, “Okay, dishwasher’s broken. We need it fixed.” “Microwave’s broken. We need it fixed.” And they take care of it. Some clients take advantage of the situation. But I hope that good clients continue to be taken care of in the same way year after year because that’s a deal breaker. If Home Warranty ever haggled with me on something that they were trying to con out of, I would switch in a heartbeat. But in the several claims that I’ve done, they always handled it in a very courteous, non-combative manner. It’s very nice. They are “a reliable partner.”

Home Warranty of America

Hi Evelyn, thank you for your review! I'm so glad you've had a good experience, and we are happy to be your home warranty service. I apologize for the poor experience you had with your plumbing claim, but I'm happy we were able to resolve it for you. If you have any future questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out! -Jennifer

Original review: May 27, 2017

We’ve been with Home Warranty of America for over a year now. The previous owners of our house bought the warranty and it was transferred to our name when we bought the house. We’ve had claim after claim with Home Warranty of America. Apparently, the previous owners got the claim because they knew that the house was needing a lot of repairs.

The first day we were in the house, my husband wanted to take a shower. The hot water heater didn’t work. It took Home Warranty a week before they could get a plumber out to fix it, so my husband had to take cold showers for a week so he could go to work. Then Home Warranty went to take the hot water heater out and they couldn’t get the main valve turned off with the water department out at the road. And it’s just been one after another claim. I’ve had to call them pretty much all year. Every time we would turn something on, it would be something else like the AC unit and furnace. But the warranty people had been really good and very helpful. They sent somebody out and they had done great. We’ve got pretty much everything under control at this point, but we extended the warranty because Home Warranty had been so helpful.

The only thing that I had a difficulty with was one of the plumbing group that they had sent out. There were two plumbers who came in. The older one was standing there looking at me up-and-down for I was trying to do work while he had the younger guy, who was an apprentice, do the work. When everything was done, we had to have the city people come out because we've had issues with turning off of the main water valve to get everything turned over. They came out and they found out that the plumber didn’t replace the fittings which they said they did and just sanded them down.

I told the warranty people that I didn’t want this company back in my house. If they’re going to try to do us dirty, that’s not the way to be. And so, Home Warranty sent somebody else out and the other company had done a wonderful job. But other than that, we’ve had great contractors come out through Home Warranty and we’ve had wonderful service with them. It’s been great.

Home Warranty of America

Thank you for the excellent rating, Manish! We appreciate your business and we are happy to hear we are able to meet your home repair needs. Have a great day! - Ally

Original review: May 18, 2017

I've been carrying a home warranty for almost 20 years and it's a good investment. And I've been using Home Warranty of America for 14 years by now. I have multiple companies because I'm also an investor. And I usually just call Liz, from the Chicago office, and she sets them up with with all of the companies every year. When submitting a claim, 90% of the time has been a good experience. The technicians are pretty good and professional. They know what they're doing and they come with the right tools. After the repair, the appliance performed the way it did before and there's no degradation in the performance.

But with any service provider, you're always gonna have one or two cases where the service is not really satisfactory. A few months ago, the guy who did the job, probably did it correctly, but the problem came back within the next few months. The warranty claims they're usually covered for 90 days. So, if the problem comes back after 91 days, you have to start a new claim. But all in all, they are an excellent company with an excellent service. I'm a real estate agent and I would rank them number one of all the companies. So, I refer people to Home Warranty of America.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I continued the policy from Home Warranty of America which came from the people who I bought the house from, and I already have made five claims to them in the last five years. All have been very positive and the appliances that were repaired or replaced are working fine. The warranty is very useful particularly in the case of the house and with the appliances that came with it. Their promptness has been very good especially last year when the air conditioning went out and I had house guests. We're in Texas and we were having 100-degree weather. That was quite a scary situation and it could have been disastrous but the customer service person was very understanding and the whole experience turned out positive.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The house that we purchased comes with a Home Warranty of America. We looked over what the package was and saw that it was sufficient. We agreed to keep the business and easily got the policy. Submitting the claim was done over the phone. While I don’t agree with some of the companies they deal with, the experience was fine. Each time the technicians have come out, they fix it the same day.

Other than that, they had to order the parts but it doesn’t take more than a week, except for one company that kept giving us the runaround. Home Warranty had to send out someone else to do the repairs. Overall, my experience with Home Warranty has always been great. They explain everything, on how the process is going to go with the claim. I never had an issue with them before and I don’t have a problem with the deductible. It just depends on what kind of plan you have, depending on what’s covered. I'm pink pleased and happy with them.

Good Morning Eric,

We are sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with our claims process. We appreciate you taking the time to provide your personal experience with us. We are working diligently to improve processes within our company to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction. Please feel free to chat with one of our live chats for assistance. We would be more than happy to address your questions and concerns. Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

We bought a house and signed up with Home Warranty of America for their service and was pretty easy. I called them and their sales rep was fine. I’ve submitted several claims and although it was very easy to submit, it was not so easy to get accomplished. A lot of the contractors that Home Warranty of America gets to do the work are entirely too far away from where I live. They would send somebody from D.C. to do something but there’s a contractor within five minutes. It is a big waste of money for them. If they used a local person, it could get the job done within a day or two. I’ve waited four and five days for the tech.

On several claims that I’ve filed, I’ve called back three and four times saying, “Can we switch to somebody who actually answers a telephone?” And the people from Home Warranty of America usually look around and either tell me that there was somebody closer or there’s nobody else. They’re sticking to smaller mom-and-pop type operation so going with local contractors would definitely make their life easier.

The most recent claim I submitted was an electrical repair which completely ticked me off. It was a bad outlet and there’s no way it cost them $100 for the three minutes the contractor spent in my house. The contract says it is the $100 deductible or the actual cost of repair, whichever is less. Amazingly enough, it’s never less. I fixed the outlet myself. The $100 is just for the contractor to tell me it was bad, not to actually repair anything. The same thing happened with the grinder in the basement. They’re telling me they’re going to charge $1200 to replace something I could fix myself for $225. I would use Home Warranty of America if it was reasonable. I’ve been in the army for 28 years and somebody trying to gouge me pisses me off. The people from Home Warranty of America are very good. But the people they choose to do business with, not so much.

Good Afternoon Arthurine,

We are pleased to hear that you had an exceptional experience with our vendor. Thank you for leaving a great rating based on your personal experience. Have a wonderful weekend!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I've had the coverage with Home Warranty of America for a little while now. When I filed a claim recently, they had me stay on the phone until I found a repair person who was in the area. The technician came out the next day and was prompt and efficient. There was a part he needed to get and he didn’t have it on his truck. He was coming back the next day and I told him the time we needed to be out to get to the hospital and he got over here in time. Everything went well. In fact, I've already given my daughter their phone number.

Hi Tim,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a great rating based on your experience with our company. We definitely value you as a customer and strive to provide exceptional customer service at all times. Feel free to contact us via email, chat or calling in directly to 1-888-492-7359 should you ever need our assistance. Thank you and have a great day!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

When I paid out the house, the people I bought it from have the one year protection from Home Warranty of America. I had a couple of claims when I was living in Texas in my last house and had such great service with my home warranty company there that I thought it was a good investment. When something went out, they were right there johnny on the spot to help me with that. So when the warranty came due again with Home Warranty of America, I kept it up.

Resigning up with them was pretty simple and straightforward. But this year’s renewal date somehow got passed me so they sent me a reminder about that which was nice because I thought it's around January but it's later in the year for me since I bought my house later. They also said that if I resigned up, they’ll add a couple of things and they did. They came here last Thursday to inspect and I found out that I have some window damaged that will affect my Stucco home. I'm going to call somebody and find out if that would be covered. But overall, I'm very satisfied with Home Warranty of America.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?

Good Morning Beatrice,

We are glad to hear that you are satisfied with HWA as a company. We certainly appreciate you leaving us this exceptional rating based on your personal experience. We do apologize you were not informed that this claim was not covered, unfortunately, we cannot provide this information until we receive an official diagnosis from the technician unless it is a specific issue listed as an exclusion within your contract terms. We definitely value you as a customer and strive to provide exceptional customer service at all times. Feel free to contact us at digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com should you ever need our assistance. Thank you and have a great day!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

When I bought my house, I got Home Warranty of America through the realtor. They said it was the best and so far, my experiences show that they’re good. Filing a claim is easy and the representatives are courteous. I just call, let them know what’s going on and they’d send somebody out in a couple of days. I called them once for my heater in the house and although it took quite a few visits from the guy to find out what the problem was, it was still rectified and done. But there was a person on the phone when I called in a claim who was not able to tell me right away that my claim was not covered. Instead, they charged me the $75 to send somebody over, only to find out later it wasn’t covered. I wasn’t too crazy about that, but they refunded me the money. Other than that, everything was fixed according to what they said. I’m satisfied with the service and I would recommend HWA.

Good Morning Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a great rating based on your experience with our company. We definitely value you as a customer and strive to provide exceptional customer service at all times. Feel free to contact us via live chat, social media or by phone should you ever need our assistance. Thank you and have a great day!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I’ve had about five claims with Home Warranty of America. The first couple of times I called to submit my claim then I was told I could do it over the internet. I asked the girl how often they check the internet and she said very often. So, the next time I needed them, I used the internet and I got a quick response. The technicians who have come here were very good. I asked them questions and they would answer it.

I have a 35-year old original furnace in the house and it went out. So, I submitted a claim and a couple of repair guys came out. This one guy examined it first and he said, “Your heat exchanger’s crap. You’re going to need a new one." A week after that, Home Warranty called me and gave me a rundown of what the warranty doesn’t cover. So I expected paying about $400 out of my own pocket. The guy who examined it at first was the owner of the company. And the guy who installed the furnace said that I won't be charged anything. So, they have made adjustments to the piping or duct work and stuff and that didn’t cost me anything.

Hi Sarah,

We appreciate you taking the time out of your day to provide an exceptional rating based on your experience with us. We are working diligently to improve processes within our company to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction. Please feel free to reach out to us at digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com with your full contact information should you ever need our assistance. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Home Warranty of America had good recommendations from our realtor and from our mortgage lender so we got a home warranty from them. Our house was built in 1970 which seemed prudent to have so we got it from them. Signing up was super easy and our sales rep was super great. She was friendly, kind and walked us through what needed to happen with all the different pieces including what was covered and what wasn’t plus what kind of things like the protection that we should get. It’s also easy to make a claim. We have made several claims and we’ve done it both ways – online and over the phone, but I tend to do them over the phone because I can do it while driving although they’re both equally easy.

Some of their technicians were good while some were not and I call HWA every time we’ve had a bad interaction then they’d say they will take them off the list. But the only frustrating part was when we had a dishwasher that we’ve had them out to repair six different times which eventually cost an $11,000 leak. They had to replace everything underneath and replace our entire kitchen floor like a subfloor and took everything down to the Visqueen in the crawl space. They could’ve bought a new dishwasher for a number of times that they’ve had somebody come out to repair or replace parts on it, so I wouldn’t have to had my kitchen replaced which is a little disgruntling. They should’ve said at some point that they’ve repaired the dishwasher so many times and we’re now far enough so a new dishwasher seems prudent.

Hi Ronald,

We wanted to apologize that your experience with us was less than exceptional. We are working diligently to improve processes within our company to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction. Please feel free to reach out to us at digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com with your full contact information should you need our assistance. Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

When we bought this house, we had our realtor make the previous owners pay for a one-year warranty as part of the contract and we just kept extending it. Most of our stuff has gone wrong and it has something to do with our pool, but it's all been little stuff. I filed all issues online through email and then the reps would say who’s coming and when. My experience with Home Warranty of America worked out okay. It generally takes longer to get things fixed than you would like, though.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have been with HWA for a little over a year now. This plan was purchased by the sellers for us when we closed on our home. We had renewed our contract with HWA this year. We didn't have to use them until this year and it all started with my air conditioner. They had dispatched a nightmare vendor to begin with. My husband had called a company prior to calling HWA to come and look at what was going on with my air conditioning system because it wasn't coming on. The company had come and started to go through the process of finding out what all was wrong, after mentioning to my husband that we needed to call HWA first, he spoke with the technician and told him to stop his work. The technician stopped and told us he found that the reversing valve wasn't working properly but he didn't know what else was wrong. We paid the technician and he left.

The vendor that HWA sent came and we mentioned to him that we had a different vendor come out and he said he found that the reversing valve was bad, but he didn't get to finish his work. He said that he would just go off of the previous vendor's diagnoses and that he didn't need to proceed further with his own. We paid the $75 trade call fee. (And the nightmare began) The vendor said he would get the part.

After a week of waiting the vendor stated that the part they received wasn't for the system so they had to send it back. Another week of waiting the vendor stated that they received the replacement part however that too was not the correct one. The secretary had told me that if I wanted the part to come in faster that I could pay for the shipping which would be about $100. It was February going into March and the forecast was in the 30's to 40's. it was freezing in my home! And the emergency heat was eating up my energy bill. I declined to pay the $100. So after waiting another week we were told the part was finally in however, it was too windy to put the part in.

So almost another week went by and I was called and told that the technician would come the next day to put the valve in. By this time it started to warm up in New Mexico and I managed to end up with pneumonia. I called the vendor the next day to enquire about what time the technician would arrive and I was told that he could not come because of the wind (there was barely even a breeze). So then we moved on to another week. With the heat starting to rise and starting to peak we had no other option than to purchase a window unit because my health was starting to worsen from the heat.

By this time we were already into April. Yes! February-April waiting for one part to be put in!! After a very frustrated call from my husband to the vendor, the technician finally came out to put in the valve (on the windiest day too) after putting the valve in the technician stated that we now needed wait a few days before he could test it. It just so happened to be in the middle of the week when he put this in. So we ended up waiting the remainder of the week and the weekend. When he came back he loaded the system with a little bit of r22 and it didn't kick on. Well now, the compressor needed to be replaced.

At this point I was livid!! I called HWA and told them what was going on and I got a "Yes but we are already so far into this. It's too late to stop now." It took almost a week for HWA to even approve the part and have it sent to the vendor which was another week before the compressor even came in. The technician came out and put the compressor in and we had to wait another few days before he could make sure it worked again.

Finally when the vendor came back to check the system it wasn't cooling. After hearing many cuss words and hearing him say, "I hope I didn't mess up when I put in the reversing valve!! It was too windy that day." He called his boss. The boss came, loaded the system a little bit more and banged (yes! Banged!) on some of the metal with the wrench and it kicked over to cooling. He then exclaimed "I fixed it!" I told him, "So what? If it doesn't kick over we need to come out here and hit the reversing valve from now on?!?" He ignored me and said that it was working so their job was complete.

The technician still needed to finishing loading the R22 in so the owner left for him to finish. We have a 11 pound unit. The technician only had 9 pounds so he loaded that and said he would be back Monday to finish loading it. Well surprise, surprise it stopped working! I called first thing Monday morning and told them it wasn't working! The technician came out pondered around for 2 hours and stated that he didn't know what was wrong with it. The technician replaced my old mercury thermostat with a digital thermostat that we had. And thought maybe the old thermostat was the issue. Of course that didn't work. So my husband mentioned maybe the fuse had blown. Sure enough that was it! The technician took the old fuse (it was a glass one) to try and find another one. Then he called me that afternoon asking me to not tell his boss that he changed out my thermostat because he could get fired. Then, we didn't hear from them.

I called HWA and told them I had enough of this and to send a different vendor who knows what they are doing!! The next vendor that came replaced the transformer and found out why the air conditioner wasn't coming on and replaced that part as well. It took him maybe 20 minutes to get everything done! He also loaded the remainder 2 pounds of R22 that the previous technician failed to load.

Well moving on into the next week, I received a call from the secretary from the first vendor telling me that the technician needed to talk to my husband and I about the system. I told her that it was already fixed and HWA had already sent someone else to fix it. She seemed pretty irritated by this information. I then received a bill in the mail for over $400. For another $75 fee and 11 pounds of R22!! I called HWA and told them that they didn't put 11 pounds in and they had only put 9 pounds in. The rep from HWA basically said, "Sorry but they said they did so you are responsible for the full amount." We paid them and told HWA that we never wanted to use them again!!! The vendor works on air conditioning and plumbing.

My next claim was for a clogged drain in my kitchen. They had sent a vendor out that vendor unclogged the drain but also found that my cast iron sewer line pipe had a crack in it. I was told by a rep with HWA that HWA had asked for a quote from the company for how much they would charge to fix it and they (HWA) didn't like the amount so they were sending another vendor for a second opinion. They couldn't call one vendor that did plumbing because of my experience from them with my air conditioning. The second vendor stated that he couldn't do the job because it was too large for him and he was only one person, so they were going to call the previous vendor to see if they would go ahead and fix it.

Well after waiting for a while I received a call from HWA saying no one could do it so I would have to call a vendor of my own and have them do the repair, pay out of pocket and HWA would send us a check afterwards. I told the rep that we don't have the money to pay to a vendor for the repairs. We are on a tight budget and it's not feasible to wait for a check right now. The rep basically said, "Well that's too bad. You have to do it if you want the work done." This issue has not been resolved. We don't have the money to have this fixed!

Now we are in to my final claim. My washer started off by not spinning during the spin cycle. So HWA sent a vendor who came the following week and replaced the motor in the machine. I paid the $75 trade call fee. It started working. The following week my washer wouldn't stop filling and ended up flooding my kitchen and sunroom. The vendor came back out. I paid another $75 and he found out that the fill valve was messed up but didn't check anything else because we thought the issue was just the water overflowing and that's what we were focused on. After a week of waiting the fill valve came in and he replaced that and that's when we found out the timer was also messed up. Another week of waiting the timer came in but it didn't work properly.

So we waited another week, 8-4-17 and then the technician came to put the timer in. It still wasn't working properly. So he called that day (Friday) and told HWA that there was nothing else he could do. The rep from HWA told him they would send it to options and someone would be in touch with my husband and I that day. We never received a call. So I called Saturday 8-5-17 and I was told they didn't have any information of it. I called the vendor after I got off the phone and the vendor said he would talk to the technician on Monday. I called the vendor Monday and they confirmed the technician definitely called Friday.

So I called HWA again to find out what was going on. The rep from HWA stated that the information was received and it was sent to options for authorization and I should receive a call that day or the next on what the decision was. Never received a call Monday so I called again Tuesday and I was told the same thing and that I should receive a call Tuesday evening on the decision, and this time an email would be sent urging the authorization rep for a prompt decision.

Again, never received a call. Then I called this morning and spoke to a rep by the name of Antonia and she stated that in her notes the vendor called yesterday and told them what was wrong and that it was only sent to authorization yesterday. She also stated she had no other notes from any of the other reps so she doesn't know why anyone would have told me that the claim was sent prior to yesterday. I told her that it is very frustrating that she was the fourth person I have had to talk to about this and that they have all basically said the same thing every single time. I have 3 kids.

It takes quite a bit of money to go to the laundry mat to keep up with the demand of clean laundry. I have also been washing my laundry in the sink so we can save ourselves money from having to go to the laundry mat so often. I need my washer!!! After telling her this she basically said that she could understand my frustrations but without any other notes in the system there was nothing she could do other than email the authorization department and that I should hear from them later on this afternoon.

I am absolutely frustrated with the response of the rep I spoke with and the overall seemingly irresponsible actions of the reps (if Antonia was telling the truth) of not documenting the conversations I have had with them as well as the vendors conversations and the lack of discipline in making sure the claims are processed correctly. I just received a call from the vendor stating that HWA contacted them yesterday and spoke to him about this claim and he confirmed he did call Friday and the rep said that the person he spoke with never put it into the system on Friday. So he again confirmed that the machine is not working properly after the repairs and it needs to be replaced. I am very happy with the vendor I was given. He is fighting with HWA just as hard as I am to make sure this gets done. HWA however, has left me less than enthusiastic for my next conversation with them.

Good Morning Charles,

We are pleased to hear that you have signed up with our company and look forward to resolving all of your future needs. Please don't hesitate to contact us via email, chat or calling in directly to 1-888-492-7359 should you ever need our assistance. Thanks!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I have Home Warranty of America and it's all been fine. I've had no problem with signing up and although I haven’t had the need to deal with them, I've had a good experience with them.

Hi David,

We greatly appreciate you leaving us a wonderful rating based on your personal experiences with our company. We are glad to hear the technicians we are to resolve all of your issues. Have a wonderful day. Thanks again!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

It's been good overall when we had to submit a claim with Home Warranty of America. We had an issue with the furnace which quit working and we had one guy that worked on it. It took him several months and he was out here four or five times before he finally got the problem figured out. The technicians have been good and they’ve always corrected whatever we needed to be corrected. We've had a good experience with Home Warranty and we've been happy with the service.

Hi Dwight,

We are pleased to hear that you have signed up with our company.Thank you for leaving an exceptional rating based on your personal experience. Please feel free to contact us via live chat, social media or via phone should you ever have any questions or concerns.Thanks and have an amazing weekend!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

My real estate agent told me about Home Warranty of America and I got them because of their price and everything that they covered. Signing up has been pleasant and so was their sales rep if I have any type of questions to ask him about different options or packages that they offered. They’re very experienced, courteous, easy to work with and knowledgeable. So far, I’m having a pretty good experience with them.

Factual basis uncertain

I’m a real estate agent and, being in the field, I decided to look into acquiring a home warranty. Home Warranty of America covers the septic tank in the standard warranty. The signing on process was easy and I’ve been with them for at least five years. When my washer broke, I had somebody from Home Warranty of America come out and evaluate the problem. He diagnosed the issue, left and told me that he would get back with Home Warranty of America to let them know what was wrong with the washer. I didn’t hear from him for about a week so I called him back. He informed me that the job was too big for him and that he wouldn’t be able to do it as he didn’t have the manpower. Home Warranty of America tried to reach him but he hung up on them, so they assigned another preferred vendor to come out and look again.

By the time that the claim was done, it was almost a month before I got the okay to get a new washer because it would have cost twice as much to repair than to buy a new one. I don’t think it should take that long and it was horrible. Had I known that my home warranty automatically renewed in June, I would have made sure to take my credit card information out of their system. It’s been a struggle every time I have a claim, and it’s not just the most recent one. A washer is not so bad but I’ve had air conditioning issues in the summer and heating issues in the winter. Having to wait a week in order to get something done in winter when you have no heat is not justifiable. Because of the experience that I had, I wouldn’t want to renew with them.

Hi Marc,

Thank you for leaving us this amazing review. We greatly appreciate your positive feedback. We are proud to be your trusted home warranty provider and to give you a little peace of mind when it comes to your repair needs. Thanks again!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

I looked at other warranty services but went with Home Warranty of America because I liked what they were offering, plus a friend of mine had them also. Signing up online was very easy. During the first year, I submitted 3 claims through their website which was very simple to use. The process was very easy and smooth. I have no complaints with the workman who they sent over. He showed up at the time that he said he would, completed the work, and it was hassle-free. I would highly recommend Home Warranty of America.

Hi Connie,

We appreciate you taking time out of your day to leave us a wonderful rating. We are glad to hear that you are pleased with our great customer service. We certainly value you as a customer and look forward to working with you in the future. Thank you again and have a wonderful day!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

When I purchased my house in 2011, the realtor used Home Warranty of America. I forgot I had the home warranty coverage when I had to replace the hot water heater until afterwards and it was too late. What a benefit it would have been if I had remembered, so I kept the coverage instead of letting it expire. I called them and said I wanted to continue it. The sales reps have been very good and prompt, and a lot of times I’ll send an e-mail and they’ll call me right away.

To file a claim, I call and they notify the person in my area who works with them, then that person calls me and sets up an appointment. I had some work done on my air conditioner and refrigerator and then I had someone look at my overhead door. Since the repair, the performance has been excellent and the appliances kept going. It's been completely satisfying. My experience with Home Warranty of America has been positive and I would recommend having their coverage. It’s valuable and I have been pleased so far.

Good Morning Lagree,

We are pleased to hear that you have signed up with our company and look forward to resolving all of your future needs. Please don't hesitate to interact with us via email, live chat, Facebook, Twitter or calling in directly to 1-888-492-7359 should you ever need our assistance. Thanks!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Home Warranty of America was recommended by our realtor and signing up with them went very smoothly. It was a transparent process and their sales reps were very easy to interact with. When we submitted a claim, they took care of it promptly and it was very a pleasant experience.

Good Morning Irene,

Thank you for leaving this wonderful rating based on your personal experiences with our company. I am glad to hear we were able to resolve all of your problems within a reasonable time frame. We greatly value you as a customer and look forward to many more years. Enjoy your day!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

Home Warranty of America came with my home when I bought it in 2007. It was part of the sale transaction and it was for a year. I thought it was a good thing, so I kept it for the last 10 years and it’s been spectacular. I only had one bad incident and Home Warranty took care of it immediately. My refrigerator broke and I called up. It’s usually pretty quick and they send someone out but the guy that was supposed to come out couldn’t come for a week and a half. I called Home Warranty back and they said that’s not how they do business. They had someone else come out and paid my deductible.

I deal with the team through customer rep Jill. They give you a discount when you’re a long-time customer so it’s even better for me. I like to keep all the repair guys or the contractors that are affiliated with them and use them for my central air unit and my furnace. They’ve all been wonderful and I’m just very pleased with this business. I will emphasize though that it’s well known when you have a home warranty, you must do maintenance. As long as you do that, I don’t see any problems with this company at all. I have gotten everyone- neighbors, friends and my daughter- to go to Home Warranty of America because it’s the best one. I’d absolutely recommend them.

Hi Libby,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a great rating based on your experience with our company. We definitely value you as a customer and strive to provide exceptional customer service at all times. Feel free to contact us at digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com should you ever need our assistance. Thank you and have a great day!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

My son had Home Warranty of America and he recommended it. We’ve been with them a little over a year. They're okay but they should have mentioned about an increase in the deductible when I renewed our contract. Also, when I made a claim over the phone to get someone to come out, it took quite a while. The technicians they sent out were pretty good and some of them knew as much as what they should have, but one of them didn't know what he was doing.

Factual basis uncertain

I had another home warranty company but I was dissatisfied with them so I decided to switch to Home Warranty of America, thinking they could do a better job. I had no problem in signing up with Home Warranty and in submitting a claim when I used them before for other issues. However, I had one bad experience with them recently. The contractor came out to replace a line to the air conditioning system because it was broken, but instead of replacing the whole line, they patched it up and put a box. The air conditioning people stated that this was going to be a hazard and I was totally dissatisfied.

I’ve already written an email and talked to Home Warranty about it. That was the first time I used them for an electrical problem and I felt they did a poor job because an electrical problem shouldn't be patched up. I told them that if I had any fire or other problems with my house due to this, I would be suing Home Warranty. The representative didn’t know anything about the matter either and just went along with whatever the Cole’s Electric people told her.

Hi Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this great review. We are certainly glad to hear you are pleased with our service. We strive to ensure our customer's are satisfied with our customer service and their homes up in working order. Please feel free to reach out to us should you ever need our assistance. Thanks again!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I had another warranty company and became dissatisfied with them so I decided to give Home Warranty of America a try. Signing up for the service was easy and everything was done on the internet. I've filled out claims several times online and the repairs were made in a timely manner. When a particular contractor came out and he could not do the job, Home Warranty of America allowed me to get my own contractor and they paid for the difference. Overall, their process is easy and the service is fairly good.

Hi Kristen,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your personal experience and exceptional rating with us. We are working diligently to improve processes within our company to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction. If you would please provide us with your current telephone number, full service address and claim number at digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com we would be happy to look into getting your pool claim resolved. Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I wanted something to cover the mechanical stuff for our pool and appliances so we got Home Warranty of America based on my realtor’s recommendation. We have this ginormous refrigerator that I know would be really expensive to replace and I like having the HVAC system. Signing up was fine and easy. I’ve been with them for just over a year. We spoke to a local like sales rep and she was really nice. When we found out a couple of weeks later that they forgot to add the warranty into our closing documents, she tried helped us get that straightened out. We ended up having to pay for it separately.

I have a salt-water pool and I think my salt cell has gone bad, so I need them to get out here and either fix it or replace it. They contacted the vendor and he called me. He said he would contact them and then get back to me and set an appointment since they had all the information they need. That was two and a half weeks ago, and I have still not heard back from him. If they don’t get back to me this time, I’m going to call back to Home Warranty of America and ask them to contact a different vendor. I’m putting a shock in the pool and extra chlorine tabs. I’m not supposed to have to do all that as frequently. All my other claims have been resolved quickly. When our heater wasn’t working in the winter, they got somebody out and it was fixed the next day. Same goes for our air conditioning that wasn’t cooling. Everything’s been pretty quick except this time. I think this is a vendor issue, not a Home Warranty of America issue. All in all, it’s been positive.

Factual basis uncertain

I called into HWA for my dishwasher, furnace (the pilot wouldn't stay on) Case # **. I called the claims in January (last part). I have many incompetent vendors from small Mom & Pop shops. I am tired of manually doing dishes. They offered me a buy out of $260. The dishwasher is the top of the line Kenmore Elite stainless steel, approx. 4 yrs old. The plastic was still on the front. HWA has had problems with their Techs returning for them. HWA will tell you that a part has been ordered for delivery on a certain day, then it never arrives. You call back and speak to representatives that promise to handled the issue to no avail.

I would like to request that either my dishwasher and furnace be repaired or give me the market value for a replacement. This is ridiculous! My daughter had an issue with her stove top... Same runaround. We have been informed that the warranty company prefers repairs that are considered neglect on the customer's part. However, when my daughter researched the issue with her cooktop. The part is one that the customer has no access to because it is a concealed part.

My dishwasher should have been repaired/replaced after the 1st visit, I have had 3 different vendors. No working dishwasher.

My furnace repairs according to the HWA vendor & buyout department would cost me more out-of-pocket than the HWA is paying because if the vendor uses the nice WORD MODIFICATIONS... it increases my cost. I have purchased warranties from HWA for years, not had to use them. My microwave was repaired, but it took several weeks, was returned very unprofessionally. Dirty... but it does work. Very disappointed that when I need it I feel hassled, mistreated by the incompetent company representatives. The supervisor escalation TEAM is non-existent... or invisible. HELP!

Home Warranty of America

Hi Barb, thank you for taking the time to leave us with this feedback. First, I want to sincerely thank you for your 9 years of loyalty to HWA. We deeply appreciate your commitment, and do not take that lightly. I'm sorry to hear about your and your tenants' recent experience regarding the AC claim. In the future, if they'd prefer, your tenants are also welcome to call or chat in to hwahomewarranty.com to change vendors. You will just need to first verify them on the account (by either calling or chatting in). This may help make things run more smoothly for them, and you! I can absolutely understand your frustration with rising prices. Unfortunately, as cost of living rises, our prices must increase also to keep up. I see via your account that your renewal amount for next year will remain the same as this year. If you'd like, you are also welcome to request that next year's renewal be changed to 3 or even 12 payments to alleviate a bit of that stress. We can also look into other plans for you to see if there is a less expensive contract that will still meet your needs. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us at digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com, and our Digital Care team will be happy to assist you. Thank you, and have a wonderful day! -Jennifer

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I’m a real estate agent and at the time I signed up for my warranty with Home Warranty of America, there was a 13th month, no pre-existing conditions and no depreciation of value. Signing up with them was easy and I've had many interactions with different sales representatives. The one that they had two representatives ago was wonderful and I loved her. The one that they had before the current one was very mediocre while the current one I've only met once.

When I submitted a claim for the AC, the technician did not call us back quickly. I wanted a callback within a reasonable business day but I felt that we had to track down this one and I didn’t want to wait any longer. So we asked for someone different. Unfortunately, we didn't get our repair done because before the technician came, my tenant turned around, called their own person and had someone come out. They ended up paying for the repair and we were able to cancel our claim with HWA.

At this point, however, I’d tell others to run away from Home Warranty of America. They have gotten so unconscionably expensive in the last three years. Their price skyrocketed and has become absolutely ridiculous. I am no longer going to recommend them as a realtor and I'm not suggesting to my husband that we continue our warranty with them. There has got to be more reasonable people out there.

Hi Nancy,

We wanted to take a moment to apologize that your experience was less than exceptional and would like to assist you in properly addressing your concerns. If you would please provide us with your current telephone number, full service address and claim number for assistance at digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com. We would be more than happy to address your questions and concerns. Thank you!

Original review: July 31, 2017

Buyer BEWARE - this company is a SCAM! Sold us a service plan, but doesn't have vendors to support warranty coverage... Contacted the vendor they provided to schedule a repair on my refrigerator twice and they told me that they don't work Home Warranty of America. When I called HWA to tell them I couldn't get anyone from that company to agree to come out, unless I paid in full out of my pocket, the woman at HWA told me that wasn't true. I call the company again and they told me again that there is no contract between HWA and Mr Appliance of Strafford Country. I've been waiting for 5 days. Have not been contacted by anyone.

Also, signed up for a service plan to have furnace serviced twice a year. When I went to schedule it took over 2.5 weeks for them to tell me that they had no one in my area to provide service. That I could find someone and they would reimburse me if their charges were acceptable. After notifying HWA that I would like to be reimbursed and cancel they told me that there would be an additional fee to cancel. HWA is not reputable company if you are looking for a worry free extended service plan. We took on this plan only because the prior homeowners added it to the sale of the property. Don't waste your money on HWA!!!

Home Warranty of America

Hi Mark, thank you for taking the time to leave us this great review! We are happy to be your trusted home warranty provider, and to give you a bit of peace of mind when it comes to your home repairs. I see from the notes on your claim that you have since sold your home--congratulations! If you would like to sign up for HWA at your new home, or have any questions, please feel free to reach out to a live chat agent at hwahomewarranty.com or our Digital Care team at digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com. Thank you once again, and have a wonderful day! -Jennifer

Original review: July 31, 2017

Every time I bought a house we had Home Warranty of America and they always come in helpful. The warranty was purchased by the real estate agent for me and then after that, the renewal was done automatically out of a checking account. It's an easy transition. I called them but then after that, access was online. I've spoken to a couple of people and everybody has always been helpful. I would recommend HWA.

Home Warranty of America

Hi Beverly, thank you for reaching out and providing us with this feedback. I'm very sorry to hear about your recent experience regarding that claim, and I can definitely understand your frustration on that! Because of recent environmental regulations, R-22 freon is being phased out, and the new systems often do not connect to old condensers. Unfortunately, because the vendor did not go back out to change that AC coil then, he did not notice that it was connected to the heating system and thus would affect that system as well. However, you should be set from here on out regarding those freon regulations. If you have any further questions regarding this, you are welcome to reach out to our live chat agents at hwahomewarranty.com, and they will be able to explain this further. You are also always welcome to email your concerns to digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com, and our Digital Care team will be happy to assist you. Thank you once again, and have a wonderful day! -Jennifer

Original review: July 30, 2017

I did some research and felt comfortable with Home Warranty of America. I usually submit my claim with them over the phone which has been very easy and most of the time the claims reps have been able to answer my questions. But there was a little bit of an issue that went along with my most recent claim between HWA and the provider of services.

Around three years ago I had my air conditioner break so they told me I could get the new kind or the old kind and it would cost me a certain amount. I stayed with the old kind but then it broke again and this time they said I have to replace that condenser that they just warrantied two years ago and get a new air conditioner. There was something about the Freon that the old one used and they don’t do that anymore.

This second time I had to borrow $3,000 to do the whole thing myself. If I had done it the first time the cost wasn’t going to be that much. Maybe the cost changed over the two years or maybe it was because of the nature of the claim. They just didn’t explain the situation well enough for me to make that conscious decision. But they did work with me so I'm as satisfied as I could be. The airconditioner is now working good and the coverage has still been cost saving and has given me security. So I would still recommend them.

Factual basis uncertain

I hated Home Warranty of America. I’ve used them before and usually, you’re pretty much covered. It’s worth it to me, normally. They’re very nice on the phone. The sales rep was very courteous. But I was very angry about too many things. When the air conditioning went out, they said they sent somebody. But those people don't come on the weekend. So then, they said they’d send somebody else. That person came – my grandson was there and I had given him my credit card and they said, “No, we don’t take credit cards.” So, he left.

The other company came on Monday. They spent their time looking. Then Home Warranty of America spent three weeks researching to approve the repairs. Then, because it’s on the roof of this little townhouse, the company charged them for the extra person to go up on the roof. And there was a part they didn’t cover. So, my bill for that was over $500. I have never had anything like that happen. It cost me as much as my warranty. At this point, I didn’t have any choice. It had to get fixed.

Then there was the time (one Friday evening) when water was coming out all over the floor. My daughter said that a pipe must have broken behind the refrigerator. I called and they said they don’t have anybody to send. I said, “Well, you have to send somebody. Don’t you have 24-hours plumbers?” And she said, “Well, we do. But he can’t come ‘til Wednesday.”

At this point, I went ballistic. I said that I had new floors, antique furniture and a lot of things there. It’s a small place. If that pipe breaks, they will be hearing from my attorney because everything will be ruined. Eventually, they did send somebody. They came and looked at the refrigerator. They said it was the refrigerator, not the pipe. But the other people they had called came out too. And they looked and they said, “No, it’s your washing machine.” And they charged me $100 for that (they charge you $100 fee for everything when they come out). Then, I said to them that I didn’t ask for that. My washing machine is under warranty with Sears. It’s new and I’m covered. I don’t need to pay them for that.

Then the air conditioning is not working properly. So, they did a call back with a different company. And they said the $100 fee is pending. I said, “What do you mean it's pending?” She said, “Well, if they find that it’s a different diagnosis, then you have to pay for it,” I said, “Wait a minute, I didn’t diagnose this. I didn’t pick the company, you did. And if they don’t diagnose the same thing, that's not my problem.” They said if I didn’t pay it, they would cancel my account. And I said, “Guess what? I’m going to cancel my account anyway. But I want this fixed before I do.” So I ended up looking online and I found another company that supposed to be very good. I talked to them and gave me a better price. They gave me a $60 fee instead of $100. But everything had to be in good order, which, it is now.

Home Warranty send you these reports to fill out reviews. But they tell you not to fill it out until the work is complete. So, I never did. Then I thought, “I’m really angry about this.” I wrote an email. Told them everything I was mad about. I called up and I said, “Where will I send it to?” And she said, “Well, we don’t have anybody for you to send that to.” I said, “Surely, there’s somebody who will read a problem.” And she said no. I asked for a supervisor and she comes back and said, “She said that the way that you file your complaints or whatever is when you do the review.” It's ridiculous. I was furious. But somebody did read it. I don’t know how she got it, but she called me. She received the letter and they had a way to explain all the charges to me. I just said to her, “You know what? They’re all paid. Forget it. Done, finished.” They were terrible, unresponsive and overcharging. They don’t cover everything that you think they’d cover. I quit them.

Home Warranty of America

Hi Tina, thank you for taking the time to leave us this awesome review! I'm so glad to her that your oven is back up and running! If you have any questions in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com, and we'd be happy to help. Thank you once again, and have a fantastic day! -Jennifer

Original review: July 29, 2017

The house that we bought had Home Warranty of America. HWA did two claims and they did fine so we just kept them. We do everything online, and everything seems to go pretty well. It was easy to navigate through their website and get everything resolved that way. My last claim was for my oven. They came out, and fixed it, and then something else needed to be adjusted after. So, they came back out and fixed that. I’m happy with my experience.

Home Warranty of America

Hi Mamadou, thank you for taking the time to reach out and leave us this great review! We are proud to be your trusted home warranty provider, and to give you a little peace of mind. If you have preferred vendors within our network, you are always welcome to contact our live chat agents at hwahomewarranty.com while filing your claim, and we will do our best to accommodate your requests based on vendor availability. Additionally, if you have any specific feedback to provide regarding a vendor, our Digital Care team would be happy to file that for you at hwahomewarranty.com. This will help assess which vendors we continue to contract with in the future. You can also send any additional feedback or questions to that email as well, and our team will reach out to you to follow up. Thank you once again, and please have a wonderful day! -Jennifer

Original review: July 28, 2017

At first I didn’t know about HWA. I just went with what the previous homeowner had told me but at the same time I also explored some other options. I wanted to see how things work out with them and if I don’t like them then I'm off with them but my experience has been mostly great so that’s why I kept them. Submitting a claim is easy because I often do it online and then if they pick a contractor that I was not able to get a hold of or that did not give me a callback then I will give them a call and try to switch it to another one.

I had a leak in one of the bathrooms back in June. They responded timely and it was taken care of. But it would have been great if they would look at their pool of contractors and see those that have major concerns from their clients. And then they can decide whether they can cut those contractors out if people are not happy about those. Other than that they provide great service including customer service and I would definitely recommend them.

Home Warranty of America Company Profile