Call toll free
3.13/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At Home Warranty of America, Inc. we have built our business on simplifying the lives of our customers and helping them immediately, in times of great need and uncertainty. We strive to always offer our customers fast, easy solutions with our network of qualified service technicians.

Home Warranty of America specializes in home warranty plans, real estate, home sellers warranty, appliance warranty, and home protection plans. Whether you are planning to sell your home, buy a new one, or just staying in your home, we can save you money and time, and bring you peace of mind when you need it most. Get a free quote from us today!

BBBB Rating
View More View More

1793 Home Warranty of America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I had this company and had to cancel the service due to selling my house. A payment was taken out of my account on Oct 18, 2018. I canceled the service on October 19th day of closing. I called and canceled service, you pay for this a month in advance. I've called several times and was told that it would be a few days and to wait. I wrote to them and only partially of my question has been answered. Had to send another email once calling again today to see why they are not refunding my account. The rep told me I had to send in a letter to find out why. It's crazy the runaround that you get. Other than that I would have to say that they did have great service when I needed it, but the refund is definitely due to me.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Every time I call it seems like they try to sell me something I don't need and they don't listen to what I called for. Now they tell me I'm behind something. They could have told me months ago. I've talked to them so many times now they tell me. I put a claim about a month ago and I finally got that taken care of. Your people there in customer services need people skills. Not all are bad.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

After our A/C compressor went out it took the home warranty company one week to authorize the repair. We called everyday. PLEASE NOTE. The compressor was under factory warranty so only the installation needed to be coverage by Home Warranty of America. Then on the day of installation we had to pay over $300.00 for additional tubing to have the compressor installed. After a week in the summer heat we went ahead and paid it. Each time we called they would tell us they needed to order the compressor, when we kept telling them the A/C repair man already had the compressor.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

This is the worst experience I have ever had with any company. PLEASE do not use them for your home warranty, there are better options out there. Take $500, light it on fire, and flush it down the toilet and you will come out better off. They will literally cost you more money than they save you. I've had an unresolved claim for 6 weeks. It took 2 weeks to resolve a small plumbing issue and the damage kept increasing. When a plumber finally came, they had to cut a hole in the drywall to fix it, this is standard.

But I've had an open claim for another service provider to come out and fix this huge hole now for 6 weeks. I have to call back 2-3 times a week just to remind them about it and they always tell me they're trying to find someone to fix it. I would have saved money and been better off to call a service technician myself on the first day of the problem and pay for it out of pocket. I've asked for a refund on the product and they can't provide it. I had one guy in customer service tell me that there was literally nothing I could do except send an email to HWA letting them know I was unhappy, but that it wouldn't do any good.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

We purchased a second home and our real estate agent suggested purchasing an HWA contract. I am sure they receive commission. I contacted HWA to look at my dishwasher and stove/oven. The tech from Sears repair showed up and I was told that I needed to pay $100.00 for the service call. The tech told me to MAKE SURE that I keep my paid receipt, since HWA has been known to suspend contracts for nonpayment. I followed his advice. I contacted HWA last Sat. night requesting a tech, when we walked into the house. We realized the heat was not working. It was in the high 20s.

I called HWA, and I was told that my contract was suspended for lack of paying $100.00. I was not called or even sent a letter of this suspension. We had to call a heating specialist that night. The fee was $119.90. I was told to send my receipts into HWA and it would be un-suspended. I have sent emails of the receipts to 3 different representatives. (Including my heating charge) Cristina was one of the last reps. Cristina left a voice message stating that the contract was out of suspension since they have the receipt. I called today to confirm and was told that I still have not paid the $100.00.

On the receipt in the tech's handwriting it says paid for both service charges. I paid what was asked to pay. I DID NOT make up the rules or the price. The reps have no authority. I have spent so many hours on the phone with them regarding this and trying to get help. I am so sorry that I did not read all of the negative reviews before I paid $600+ to HWA! I am now in the process of contacting legal advice. I was in hopes that it would not come to this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Updated 11/08/2018: I canceled my policy. Now this is where it gets interesting, the cancellation department doesn’t have a phone number. You have to send an email. I begin to email about my refund, It took them a week to respond to my email, then again to email me with a breakdown of my refund of $13.45. Umm excuse me I paid them over $300. In the monthly payments and they charged me $345 and never replied to my emails about that breakdown they sent to me. It’s now November 8 and I still haven’t gotten a response from HWA about this email.

Original Review: Ok I have been with this company for 7 months and on October 7, 2018 I put in my first service call for an electrical issue in my house. I didn’t get a response from the company. I then called them back on the 14 which was a week later to inquire about the status. Now the 14 they said they were escalating it which I should hear something in 48hrs. Still nothing so I called back on the 17th of October to cancel my policy for not taking my issue seriously.

Now on the 27th of October I get a vm. Informed me they cannot find an electrician which is weird, but they told me to find one then if I find one they have to get approved through they company etc. Now I got an email on the 30th with a refund for $13.45. They charged me for being a customer for 7 months in the amount of $334. And told me the $13.45 was my only refund. Huh! Where they do that at? To add insult to this the cancellation department only respond through email. No phone. This company is a fraud. All these positive reviews are bogus. I want my money and if I have to take them to court I will. How you say you can provide a service and cannot get an electrician unprofessionally. Don’t use this company. If they had a negative 100... I would not recommend this company. It a fraud.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I had a clog in my sink and then my garbage disposal started leaking. The people came out after 3 days and they did replace the GB but because I didn’t mention the clog they DID NOT fix the clog while they were here then when I called these people they told me I would have to file another claim and pay another $100.00. They are a joke and a bunch of crooks. Their rates are cheap but you get what you pay for. Avoid this company at all cost. And I only gave them one star because it won’t let you not choose any.

Home Warranty of America response

Good afternoon Patricia. It is certainly understandable that having multiple appliance failures or items in need of repair at the same time can cause frustration. I would like to try and provide some clarifying information regarding your claims for the garbage disposal and the clogged sink. Per the terms of the contract, a separate claim must be filed for each issue reported to us and requested for coverage. Additionally, a trade call fee is due for each individual issue that a technician assesses and provides a diagnosis for. We make every effort to operate as transparently as possible, which is why we outline these details clearly in the contract. You can always view your contract online at www.hwahomewarranty.com; or if you prefer, please feel free to connect with one of our Live Chat agents for any questions or concerns regarding claims, contract terms, exclusions, or any other issues you may have. Thank you, and we hope you enjoy your weekend. - Jack

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I paid a surcharge for roof repair. When I needed a roof repair they were unable to provide it for me. I asked for a refund of the surcharge and to have the surcharge removed. They continue to charge me and will not resolve it. I have emailed and talked to people and nothing is done.

Home Warranty of America response

Hello Beverly. We can understand the frustration that is caused when any unexpected charges are acquired. We never like to hear that a contract holder is having a difficulty in receiving assistance from one of our Customer Service Representatives. At this time each time a claim is filed within the current Home Warranty a trade call fee payment is due to the assigned vendor to be able to go out to the home to perform the necessary diagnosis. Once this report is completed the vendor will submit their findings to our Authorization Team to be reviewed and processed so that a resolution can become available on the pending claim. If you have any concerns that we can address for you in regards to the coverage that we offer or a pending claim do not hesitate to connect with our digital department at DigitalCare@HWAhomewarranty.com, where we work to respond to each email received to our team directly in a maximum of 48 business hours, or you may connect with a member of our Digital Chat team Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm (CST). We hope we are able to better improve the personal experience that has been provided to you thus far with using your Home Warranty with us. -Adrien

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

We noticed our tankless hot water heater seemed to be running most of the time and we feared there might be a leak. We called and opened a claim and they sent out a plumber who looked at the unit in the closet, looked at the entry to go under our pier and beam foundation. This is a 50 year old home and has many contractors over the years under it. He proclaimed he would need to up charge $1500-$3300 for that digging to get to it. The heater is about 10 feet from the entry in the closet so that made no sense. When I called to ask for a supervisor and it was 2 days and when I called back asking when I would hear from a supervisor that I got connected.

After I got this run around and finally spoke to Manny. He said they could possibly calculate the cost and let me pick my own plumber, or they could send out another plumber and if he found the same, I would also pay him for the visit. Manny then called and left me a message 2 days later to say that they wouldn't be able to offer me up the amount and let me pick my own plumber. So I called a local plumber who came and given the same information diagnosed it completely differently. For starters he went to the meter and confirmed there was no leak and no need to even go under the house. He then looked at the unit and called the manufacturer of the unit and discussed with them what was going on. It was determined it needed to be flushed for descaling.

So the bottom line is that the first plumber had no idea what he was doing, tried to charge me for something completely unnecessary and Home Warranty of America standing right with him and not listening to the customer. I tried countless times to explain it was a pier and beam foundation and that this made no sense and found the people on the other end of the phone had no idea what that even meant. So I am canceling my contract, and think people need to understand how this program works. As an aside, the plumber they sent works out of a small town and has a PO Box for an address. I would never chose a vendor on my own with no physical address for fear if I had problems I would never find them again.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon David. We never like to hear when a negative experience was caused when trying to get a claim worked. Our agents within Home Warranty of America are not skilled technicians and not all may be Homeowners personally to be able to express how the internal makings of a system or unit in the home fully operates. Due to this, our company relies on the highly skilled, contracted vendors that we use to be able to diagnose the issue being noticed and provide the necessary recommendation for each instance. If a contract holder does not agree with the end resolution provided to them by the vendor that we assigned and sent out, we do currently allow for a second opinion to be processed on the claim. This will allow for a new brand new vendor to be sent out along with a pending trade call fee. This means that if the vendor comes back with a different diangosis or recommendation than we initially received from the first vendor then no additional trade call fee will be due to the newly assigned vendor to process the claim forward. We ensure that this is an option if a contract holder disagrees with the recommendation details so that they feel like we are providing them with the best outcome that they feel comfortable with being processed for a system or unit in their home. We regret to hear that this experience has caused you to want to cancel your overall Home Warranty with us and not continue the coverage forward. Do not hesitate to connect with one of our available HWA agents at any point if further assistance pertaining to your home warranty is ever requested in the future. -Adrien

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I got this warranty with the purchase of my new home. It was a wonderful idea to have some peace of mind if anything went wrong but became the worst experience when my A/C went out. On October 24, 2018 we found out that our A/C would not turn on. I contacted Home Warranty of America and proceed the claim. They told me they didn't have anything available for the next week but would be working on getting someone out. On October 29, 2018 I was finally told that they don't even have someone to service my area and they don't even know when they will have someone. I was told I can hire my own A/C repairman and pay out of pocket and they would reimburse me. I believe they would not pay me anything back.

They have given me the run around for 5 days now. I will not be renewing my contract with this company and also contacting my realtor about this urging them to not use this company. I have no clue when I will have A/C again but most of all I can't believe this company sells a warranty to people when they don't even have anyone servicing that area. This is a rip off and a scam.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I recently filed my first claim with HWA after having the policy for a year and a half. I was told during the initial call regarding our garage door opener that HWA did not have a service provider. We were advised that we could either find one on our own, or that HWA would get back to us. We opted to have HWA find one. We waited 2 days for an update and never received a return call. When we called back, the representative apologized and assured us we would get a call back. This happened twice more and we NEVER got a return call.

Frustrated, we found a service provider on our own. When I contacted HWA regarding reimbursement, I was told to forward the receipt to determine not when, but IF I would be reimbursed. I sent the receipt immediately. It has now been 13 days since I sent the receipt and I've not been contacted via phone nor email. This policy is a total waste of money. I don't expect to EVER get a return phone call or to speak to a supervisor or to be reimbursed for my claim.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

AC low on freon. When service provider finally showed up advised I needed repairs not covered under my policy. I agreed to purchase separately in order to get AC repaired correctly. Shortly thereafter noticed stain in ceiling. HWA said not responsible for their providers negligence. When I had repaired was told need secondary drain pan. When I advised HWA they repeated "not responsible". If the company I purchased my policy from does not stand behind their customers I feel it necessary to advise potential buyers to be aware of a warranty company that does not fight for their customers. Of course the original provider is no longer in business. Beware this company.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I submitted a claim two weeks ago as my downstairs A/C stopped cooling. We received a call the next day from their contractor and had the contractor out the following day. Since then, however, HWA has been stalling to approve the replacement of the coil. I’ve called multiple times for updates and essentially get the same response “the claim is in progress...” When I ask for HWA to provide updates, they simply tell me to call back. Terrible customer service! I’ve been without a working downstairs A/C for two weeks! Why buy a policy if it’s not going to be honored?

Good Afternoon David.

We never like to hear when a delay in service is provided especially if there is a lack of information being relayed back to you as the contract holder. At this time when a claim is filed and the vendor is sent out to the home for the diangosis to be done it is then sent in to our Authorization department to be processed and reviewed. This information is used to determine the resolution options that are later available to the proper Home Owner. Each department works to get each claim completed as soon as possible, although with the amount of steps and processes in place we are unable to guarantee a set time frame for each decision to become available due to the claim currently being processed through a specific department at the point in time. As soon as the resolution becomes available we are sure that the details are fully provided back to the contract holder for their reference.

After looking into your claim, we see that the order was placed and delivered to the vendor so that the installation is able to take place. If anything ever comes up in the future where you are needing additional assistance do not hesitate to connect with our digital department directly at DigitalCare@HWAHomewarranty.com.

Thank you, Adrien.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Don't waste your money. It's a scam. Furnace wasn't working. Made a claim. Service worker came out. Made a report. They refuse to pay for the repair or replacement. Very deceiving. I thought I was getting coverage, but am not.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Evening, Kathy. We are sorry to hear that the process for this heating claim has caused you frustration. In reviewing your claim today, it appears that we were requesting a copy of your home inspection report to move forward in processing your claim. We do outline in our contracts that a home inspection report may be required for a claim, in order to ensure the unit was in proper working order when the residence was purchased. I see that we have received the inspection, and that you have been in contact with our Care Team recently to discuss the buyout amount for your claim. We are pleased that your claim is nearing a resolution. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist. Thank you - Jack

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I submitted a request to have my HVAC repaired. The repair was contracted to a business with all 1-star reviews and multiple complaints of improper service. When they came out they diagnosed the issue as a broken condensate pump, which conveniently isn't covered under warranty. I ended up calling a more reputable company, and within a minute they were able to determine that the condensate pump was perfectly fine and there was simply a component not plugged in (may have been unplugged by another contractor).

HWA charged me $75 for the initial improper diagnosis which was either intentionally dishonest or completely incompetent. I called to dispute the charge, and after multiple calls and emails never received a response. I finally called and demanded an answer at which point they simply said they would not refund the charge and would not provide an explanation. Dishonest company with horrible service, I would have been much better off with no warranty at all.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Evening, Dominic. We are sorry to hear that your AC claim experience caused frustration and upset. In reviewing the claim notes today, I see that the $75 trade call fee has been refunded to you. We are pleased to know that this situation was resolved to your satisfaction. Thank you for the feedback, and have a great day! - Jack

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

When you need a reliable home warranty company, then keep your hands away from this one. The customer service is not able to make any decision and you never get anybody on the phone to solve problems or to help you with that. We had a problem with our AC (in Florida) nearly 2 years ago shortly before the holidays. Because they don't want to fix the AC, we bought a new AC over our AC maintenance company and get it to work the next day. Then 6 months ago the compressor dies and HWA finally replaced the compressor after more than a week later. Now the compressor dies again and we are without AC for a week now and still waiting to get the AC fixed. They only telling us that we have to wait another 48 hours for a decision!! That is unbelievable.

Home Warranty of America response

Good afternoon, Doris. We are sorry to hear that your recent claim experience has been frustrating. We are unable to locate your account with the information available through this review. We would be happy to take a closer look at the claim to see if there is anything we can do to move things along for you. Please feel free to reach out to one of our Live Chat agents on hwahomewarranty.com for further assistance. Chat agents are available Monday-Friday 8am - 5pm CST. Thank you - Jack

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I filed a claim with Home Warranty and a vendor came out, saw what the problem was, which was the ring under my toilet was worn out and needed to be replaced. The vendor then contacted HWA and they told him that they would pay for the ring but not the labor of which was under 5 min 85.00. Because it was considered access, which is ridiculous since the ring came with the toilet. Don't know if I will stay with this company, I am very disappointed.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Barbara. We are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your recent plumbing claim. We do make every effort to ensure our contracts are clear and transparent when outlining exclusions of coverage. In section IV. (D) of your contract we have outlined the exclusions, including access issues. Please know that you are always able to view your contract online at hwahomewarranty.com, or you may also connect with one of our Live Chat agents on the website to discuss coverage, exclusions, or any other questions you may have. Thank you for taking the time to submit a review, and have a great day. - Jack

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

They give you the run around on claims. 8 days and still fighting with them to get a electrician to my home to fix a lighting problem. Been calling for 8 days and it's always that they have e-mailed someone to see if they can get in touch with someone else to see if they can get someone to fix it. Like I said a run around. Stay away from this company.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi Sandra. We can certainly understand that the delay you have experienced is frustrating. In reviewing you claim information today, I can see that on the first day the claim was filed (10/14/2018) we offered the option for you to find your own vendor due to a lack of contracted vendors in your area. It appears that the option was declined, so we assigned this to our team that deals with this type of claim issue. The team documented attempts to contact with 10 different companies to assist with your claim, but did not get anyone to take the job. It appears they also contacted the company that was recommended by either yourself or your spouse, but that company responded back that they were too busy to take the job. We understand the option was offered again on 10/22/2018 to allow you to find your own vendor, but was declined a second time. While it is rare that situations like this occur, it does happen from time to time which is why we present the option of having our homeowners select their own vendor and collect reimbursement after the fact. We are still working to find a contracted vendor to complete your job. If you would like to consider selecting your own vendor, in the interest of getting the job completed more quickly, please reach out to one of our Live Chat agents to discuss. Chat is available Monday thru Friday, 8am-5pm CST. Thank you - Jack

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Our home came with a Home Warranty of America, a company NOT based in the USA. I had an electrical/dry outlet failure. They had NO ELECTRICIANS to send, so I was told to find one, they approved the electrician while he was here, I send the paid invoice/proof of my payment for the electrical outlet replacement. It's been a month and each time I call, they say no one has been working on my reimbursement/claim! The 'representatives' keep saying they will call me with updates, but they do NOT.

Apparently, they have very unreliable employees who just don't do anything with your claim if it involves a reimbursement. I have called many times trying to find out the status of my claim and am continually told there are no updates. WHAT IS WRONG HERE? Totally unsatisfactory, given the fact that THEY were unable to provide an electrician - I was told they do not have any electricians in my area on their list! Finally I HAD to FIND the electrician, pay him, after lengthy phone call approval from HWA, and now I have to hound them to provide me with any sort of update regarding my reimbursement! Terrible service. Buyer Beware!

Home Warranty of America response

Good morning, Barbara. Unfortunately, when a claim is filed with us and a vendor is not currently available we allow for our Homeowners to choose their own vendor or to wait for a contracted vendor to be assigned to work the claim through our Account Manager to locate an available contracted vendor in the area.

We definitely want the opportunity to help expedite a resolution for you. Please feel free to reach out to us through our Facebook page or through our Live Chat feature on our website https://www.hwahomewarranty.com/. Thank you. -Eleanor

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I am now on my 19th day waiting for at least a simple call back for a broken washer and dryer. This company keeps no records of calls taken so Customer Service Agents have no record of prior promises or communications. I was told that parts would be ordered for my washer and my dryer on the first of October, it is now October 19th and I have had to contact the company three times to get ANY bit of information regarding my claim status. I am a realtor and will NEVER recommend this company or service to anyone purchasing a home. The amount of money I have spent so far would have purchased half of a new washer/dryer combo. AVOID THIS COMPANY! THEY WILL NOT TREAT YOU RIGHT OR DELIVER THE SERVICES THAT THEY PROMISE!

Home Warranty of America response

Good morning, Matthew. I apologize for the frustrations you have faced throughout your claims journey. We would like the opportunity to go over the claims journey with you to help explain why updates have been unavailable at times.

There are many different departments that work on a single claim. We have our service representatives and we have service vendors that do the actual work on the home. We also have an Authorizations team that is essentially the department responsible for receiving the diagnosis of what the claim is for, and approving or denying coverage and forwarding to vendors to do the work. We have our Purchasing team too, which is responsible for receiving information about what parts are needed, ordering them, and getting all shipping and arriving information to the vendor to work on the home.

We have many teams dedicated to working a claim from start to finish, and depending upon what is needed, each team has their own processing time. If you have any outstanding questions pertaining to your claim or overall warranty, please feel free to reach out to our Live Chat team through our website: https://www.hwahomewarranty.com/. Thank you. -Eleanor

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I have had HWA since I bought my home (the previous owner paid for the first year) and I... out of lack of time to research others, continued with them for 6 months after. Recently canceled my policy because they suspended it regarding a service fee (that they waived!) that hadn't been paid. I called every week for a month straight, sometimes twice a week, and every time spoke to someone who wanted to "take ownership" of the problem and fix it with no avail. They never called back even when they said they would within 24 hours. I requested a manager multiple times and magically, one is never available, but will call back within 24 hours... that also never happened.

I ended up calling back again the next day and sitting on hold for 30 minutes just to talk to a girl who still just wanted to call me back after 24 hours. I was then told that someone would contact me regarding a refund within 72 working hours... it's now been 6 business days and I once again called and was told no refund would be issued... that is INSANITY since I still have EVERY SINGLE ISSUE going on at my house that one of their "vendors" was sent out to fix.

My laundry room still floods because no one fixed the pipe, I had to pay $600 for a new garage door opener because a gear snapped off of mine and HWA didn't accept the claim, my A/C is the ONLY thing that was repaired and that is ONLY because my husband and the mechanic made friends and he fixed it on his own accord, if HWA had ANYTHING to do with it, I'm positive that would have been out of my own pocket as well. This is a crappy company with horrible customer service, just in it for the money and denies with the smallest reasons. I will be contacting their corporate office as soon as I can dig up a phone number for them as well as calling back again if I don't receive a call back regarding a refund.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Our most recent service call from 3+ months ago is still unresolved. All contact I have initiated. The call center in India has no idea about my case and no interest in solving it. They take my money every month and have no interest in holding up their end of the bargain. Ripoff, scam, and all around terrible company.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Morning, Josh. We hate to hear that there has been frustration with your recent experience with us. I took some time this morning to review your claims history, and wanted to clarify a couple of points. I am not seeing any claims that are 3+ months old. I see that a dryer claim filed on 9/4 was resolved earlier this month; I show that you accepted a buyout on the washer claim, which was also filed 9/4, and that the buyout is currently in process. It does appear that there was a delay in getting the washer claim process started. From what I can see, your service provider initially visited your home on 9/7, but we did not get the required diagnosis and part numbers until 9/24. Unfortunately, we cannot move forward with processing the claim until those things are received. It does appear that a decision to cover your claim for a replacement washer or offer a buyout was made by 9/28, and accepted by you on 10/4. If there are still outstanding questions or concerns, or if there is another claim you would like for us to check on for you, please connect with one of our Live Chat agents at hwahomewarranty.com and we would be happy to help. Thank you, and have a great day! - Jack

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Total sham. Our furnace has a crack in the heat exchanger, allowing harmful gasses into our house. After a technician checked out the furnace, HWA told us that we would need to spend $850 for “uncovered expenses” which include a gas leak test and removal of the old unit. Seriously, how are those not covered?? These are a part of EVERY furnace replacement, and I think the gas test is actually required by law.

While replacing the furnace we thought it would be good to upgrade from an 80% efficient furnace to a 95% efficient furnace as it’s just a couple hundred dollars difference (and we would gladly pay the difference). HWA said this is not allowed though, and if we wanted to do that we would need to get a “cash out” then hire a contractor ourselves. Okay… so how much will they give for a cash out? About $450. WTF!? The furnace alone costs over $1,000 and most places charge around $3,000 for the furnace + installation.

So on Sept 20th we approved the “uncovered expenses” for them to replace the furnace. It has been three full weeks now, and our furnace is still leaking harmful gasses into our house. Due to the long delay the problem has gotten much worse (especially in the past couple days) and it's to the point that it is making my pregnant wife have symptoms of headaches and nausea (when she leaves the house, the symptoms go away). The doctor told us that these symptoms are serious and the gasses can cause birth defects, and she should not be in the house with the furnace on.

We have contacted HWA over and over and they keep saying they’re “expediting” it. We called the actual vendor today though that will be doing the installation, and they said they just got the job approval two days ago (today is October 11th)! The vendor is also booked for the next two weeks, and we’re still not even on the schedule! It will be close to the end of October (over a full month) by the time this is resolved. Our house is unsafe to be in because we have this ** warranty. From the start it would have been better to just call an HVAC company ourselves. HWA is refusing to pay for a hotel during this time as well, even though their delay has allowed the problem to get to this point.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

My repair to my AC in the hot state of FLorida has STILL not been made. HWA's offshore call center for claims is a joke as they are reading scripts and can't help. The purchasing department that was supposed provide the PO for the part took 2 weeks and then send the WRONG PART to the service provider. I am going on almost a month since I filed the claim and it still hasn't been repaired. No one from HWA will take ownership in resolving their breakdown. Someone needs to contact me - Claim #** Somia **.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi Sandy, and thank you for the feedback. We can certainly understand the frustration that goes along with having no AC during the latter months of summer. Due to Consumer Affair's privacy standards, the claim number you provided was starred out so we are unable to locate your information. If you would like, we would be happy to take a closer look for you and check the status of your claim. Please feel free to connect with one of our Live Chat agents on hwahomewarranty.com so that we may assist you further. We look forward to hearing from you. Thanks - Jack

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

We filed a claim when our 4-year old A/C stopped working. HWA sent the same vendor out twice but they failed to fix the problem for more than a week each time. They also charged us another fee for the second visit. After the unit was still not working, we requested a new vendor who informed us that the first vendor misdiagnosed the problem. The new vendor identified the problem and needed repair. The repair would be costly and the vendor sought approval from HWA before moving forward. HWA has refused to approve ordering the necessary part. We and the A/C vendor have called HWA numerous times and get the run-around every time we call.

We have been without A/C in one part of our house for two months while this has been going on. We are preparing to initiate legal proceedings against HWA. Terrible customer service, refusal to return phone calls or escalate the matter to managers. HWA has demonstrated an utter failure to live up to the terms of the insurance contract for which we have paid for 3 years. This has been the worst service we've ever experienced. Our contract is up next week and we will be moving to another provider. HWA is terrible!

Home Warranty of America response

We are sorry to hear that your AC claim has caused so much frustration, Rebecca. I am unable to locate your claim with the information provided from this review, but would be happy to take a closer look and check the status. Feel free to connect with one of our Live Chat agents on hwahomewarranty.com or send us an email to digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com with your claim number, full property address and phone number for verification. We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you - Jack

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I am nearly a month into a claim regarding my home’s furnaces. HWA sent out their vendor to assess our issues who shut down our furnaces nearly a month ago. Since that time my claim was denied (without reason BTW) and I have provided followup documentation on two separate occasions. Every person you talk to acts like they don’t have the information from the time before.

Each time (at least 5 times or 6 times) people have told me they will “take ownership” and call me back. They never have. They will tell you a decision will be made by a certain time but then continually move that decision. They will ask you to send documentation multiple times. They will tell you they are denying a claim for a reason that is blatantly false. And it can be something that was previously discussed multiple phone calls before.

It is very obvious that this company only cares about protecting the bottom line and not actually living up to their contracts. I think I’m going to initiate the claims resolution process because they have made it obvious they are going to string me along until I give up. I am beyond frustrated with this service. My wife is a non-practicing attorney, but this has made her consider reactivating her Bar card so we can work to protect our 4 children who are living in a house with no heaters (since HWA’s vendors shut them down) and we are Approaching winter. My claim number is **. HWA digital team you can read all about this fiasco for yourselves. I’m still waiting on a call today for a decision from the “Authorization team.”

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

After a horrendous experience dealing with this company after my air conditioning unit stopped working, I cancelled the remainder of my policy. After a terrible time trying to get them to pay anything for a new air conditioner, they ended up paying a FRACTION of the cost (they use their own figures for payout - told me it was somewhere hidden in policy). Since they paid something on my policy, they stated I was not entitled to a refund of five months left on my policy. They didn't mention that when I called to cancel. Not that I would ever use them again, but now I'm out the policy and my money. STAY AWAY! Believe all the reviews!

Home Warranty of America response

Hello Ros. I am sorry to hear that the recent experience that you went through resulted in a a desire to process a cancellation on your Home Warranty with us. If this processes is request to be done, the agent assisting provides a set of terms in order for this action to be done on the contracted warranty. In this information it states: "all coverage, service, and benefits under the account will discontinue after this cancellation, per the terms and conditions of the program". Looking into your account we see that it was decided to not cancel the Home Warranty with us at this time and to continue to maintain the coverage available to you. We want to ensure that our terms and coverage are as transparent as possible and currently allow for a digital version of each Homeowner's personal contract to be view through their online account which can be accessed on our website. If there is anything contract specific you would like for us to offer assistance with do not hesitate to send us an email at Digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com with your contract ID, full name and property address listed on the contract. -Adrien.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

One of the vendors lost our check and HWA put our account on hold. The vendor eventually found the check and notified HWA. It has been two months, with over 6 phone calls and HWA still has not been able to activate our account so we can place new claims. They claim to "fix" our account every time but for some reason, it remains on hold!

Home Warranty of America response

Good Evening, Andrew. We recently received the below feedback from you. We appreciate you taking the time to provide your personal experience with us. We are working diligently to improve processes within our company to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction. We wanted to take a moment to apologize that your experience was less than exceptional. Once we were notified that the vendor had located and cashed your check, it certainly should not have take a month for you to be able to file another claim. We are sorry for the frustration that this situation caused, and we appreciate you taking the time to share this feedback with us. Have a great weekend! - Jack

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I had signed up for the home warranty program today. I read some of the reviews and began to be concerned with the quality of contractors that would be sending to my home in the event of a system failure. I asked the representative if they have an active list of service providers in my area that they regularly work with, he said yes they do. I then asked him if he could forward over to me that list so research the reviews these companies have. He asked me why did I want the list (first red flag). I explained to him that I have read the reviews from other customers and amongst the complaints people have stated that they have had issues with the quality of contractors the company works with. He explained to me yes they are aware of the complaints and that the company is working on making improvements.

I told him I was happy to hear that, but I would still like the list of contractors that they are currently working with. He then told me ok and put me on hold (second red flag). When he came back on the line he told me that he couldn't bring up a list of contractors at this time because I didn't have a claim (third and final red flag). How can a company expect a customer to feel comfortable with their services if they don't offer transparency? I mean you guys are suppose to be sending over professionals to work on the most important systems that keep my household running comfortably, but don't really want to tell who they might be. Sorry but I don't trust you like that. I canceled my account 1 hour after I opened it. My advice to HWA Transparency is important.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Please be cautious when choosing a service provider. They will choose the CHEAPEST guy out there and you'll have to help, they will use your tools, and need to babysit them. Our first AC went out and took 2 days and ended up leaking in my attic, outside the drain pan. I wasted so much time with the service provider. see my story here: **. I had to help lift the unit in the attic, otherwise I wouldn't have had air. It took him 25+ hrs. My cost for the Air Handler they covered, the outside condenser didn't match so I had to come out of pocket $3,860.

Okay so, when the second AC unit went off it was urgent and the service guy told me he didn't have the cash flow to even buy a new one and couldn't do the work. So I called another guy, who came out that day. Mind you I had a baby on the borderline of a heat stroke the night before and this is TEXAS and 90 degrees out, so yeah it was an emergency. These guys came out the very next day and did the job from 7:30 am to 11:30 am - done. More here: **.

Wow, much different than the guy who showed up late, 11:30 and stayed until 10 pm, came back the following day 9:30 am - 4 pm. Fast forward, the same issue was diagnosed, the inside unit was dead. I thought ok, so I'll pay ~$3,860 right - NO, they said they would only reimburse me $900 for the SAME JOB which was $7900 total. So what to do... Choose your own provider and get robbed for $3000+, or use a guy who gives you a ton of anxiety, requires your help, and doesn't do the job right and almost floods your attic... Ridiculous...

Home Warranty of America response

Good Evening, Travis. We are sorry to hear that your experience for the AC claims were frustrating and caused upset. We do attempt to operate as transparently as possible in terms of what items are covered or excluded from coverage in our contract. In addition, any time one of our customers chooses their own service vendor, we are very specific with the language in our disclosures regarding that process. The disclosure states, in part: "The reimbursement amount will be based on our standard repair costs and not based on current retail pricing". In reviewing your claim today, I do see where HWA actually tripled the amount of the original buyout amount provided to you, as a goodwill gesture. Hopefully, this will bring about a better overall resolution for your AC claim. Thank you for the feedback, and we look forward to serving you again in the future. Have a wonderful weekend! - Jack

Home Warranty of America expert review by Michele Lerner

Home Warranty of America, Inc. (HWA) sells home warranties to protect owners from unexpected and expensive repairs. HWA was founded in 1996 and is headquartered in Illinois.

• Plan options: HWA offers multiple plan options so customers can choose the plan that offers the coverage they want. They have plans specifically designed for new homebuyers, existing home owners and home sellers.

• Coverage option tool: Interested consumers can visit the HWA website to see all the plan options. They can also use the coverage option tool to see how adding or removing certain types of coverage will affect their premium.

• GreenPlus: HWA’s GreenPlus option lets consumers add coverage that will replace a broken appliance or system with an Energy Star certified one. This coverage must be added on to plans for a small additional monthly fee.

• Older homes: HWA covers homes and appliances regardless of their age, and they do not require an inspection before coverage begins. As long as appliances and systems are in good working order on the policy effective date, they are covered for general wear and tear.

• Maintenance guides: HWA’s website features several home maintenance guides to help owners keep up with small but necessary tasks. The site also includes informational videos.

• Best for: first-time homebuyers, owners of older homes, home sellers and real estate professionals.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Home Warranty of America Company Information