Call toll free
3.47/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At Home Warranty of America, Inc. we have built our business on simplifying the lives of our customers and helping them immediately, in times of great need and uncertainty. We strive to always offer our customers fast, easy solutions with our network of qualified service technicians.

Home Warranty of America specializes in home warranty plans, real estate, home sellers warranty, appliance warranty, and home protection plans. Whether you are planning to sell your home, buy a new one, or just staying in your home, we can save you money and time, and bring you peace of mind when you need it most. Get a free quote from us today!

BBBB Rating
View More View More

1697 Home Warranty of America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

My AC heat pump went out over a week ago. I was told they could not get someone here for three days. I waited and the tech said they could not fix the AC it was too old. They put in for a replacement and I have been waiting 5 days for an answer. I keep getting call back in an hour.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Poorly handled claim for Oven repair/replacement. We filed a claim with HWA on 8/9. Today is 9/10 and my oven has not been repaired or replaced. HWA has provided poor customer service and little resolution. I plan to cancel HWA. Worst service ever.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Dawntril. Thank you for sharing your feedback, and we are sorry that this experience has been frustrating. In reviewing the details of your claim today, I can see that the part needing replacement on your oven is no longer available. In these rare cases, our options become very limited. Typically we have to remove the damaged part, send it off to be duplicated and then wait for it to be returned so that the vendor can come out and install. This process can take up to 60 days, which we understand is less than ideal. Unfortunately, this is our only recourse when dealing with older model appliances and accessories. I do see that your item was received by the company that will be duplicating it last week, so hopefully your claim will be resolved very soon. Please feel free to reach out to one of our live chat agents at hwahomewarranty.com with your full contact information should you have any further concerns or need our assistance. Thank you! - Jill

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I have had nothing but a horrible experience with Home Warranty of America. I placed a service call for my air conditioner that wasn’t cooling right. I knew it was an older unit which is why I got the home warranty in the first place. The vendor that came out to diagnose the issue and said right away it was dead and was too old to repair. So after waiting two weeks without having an air conditioner it finally was installed. I also had to pay $485 out of pocket for parts that weren’t covered by the warranty. Doesn’t make sense why all the parts wouldn’t be included but it was still better than having to pay thousands of dollars. Not long after the technician left I noticed something wasn’t quite right. I called the technician back after 4 days of it not running right and he came back and said it was leaking Freon.

A brand new unit already leaking freon, how is that possible. The technician had no clue and also suggested we get a new thermostat as well. So he came back the next day and installed a new thermostat. The day after the thermostat was installed it still was not working right and the AC just kept running and it would never shut off. So after having dealt twice already with the vendor that was through the warranty and still not having AC I decided to call a reputable AC company that knew what they were doing. The new company came out and knew right away what the problem was. My older furnace wasn’t compatible at all with the new AC unit.

Now why didn’t the vendor that the home warranty company sent out know that this would be the case? I also found out that the home warranty technician didn’t even replace the coil which was suppose to be apart of the AC fix. I feel that it’s only fair I’m given my money back for the parts that weren’t covered along with the money I had to pay for the trade call fee. I will without a doubt not be renewing my contract with Home Warranty of America.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

So far I have had a warranty with this company for 6 months. The first claim was not covered. The second took forever to complete. On 8/7 the claim was filed. On 9/5 it was completed. I had to do all of the follow-up. I had to call in every couple of days to find out the status and what the delays were. I would speak to people that would tell me I would hear from the HWA in 24-48 hours and 3 days later I would have to call back in. On 9/3 they suspended my account because I had not paid the service call for a service call that was NOT complete.

On 9/5 I was told by the repair company they could not get authorization to complete my repair due to an “account issue”. I asked HWA if I paid the fee and canceled my account would they complete my repair. They said no. So now I have to call back in after the repair just to cancel the contract. I know one other person with HWA and they love them. For us they have not been worth the $95/ month and $100/ service fee.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I'm reluctant to even write this review as it is not possible to convey the lack of service I have been provided. I've had services with HWA for years. I filed a claim for my dryer on 8/6/18. It is now 9/4/18 and I still have not been provided a resolution to my satisfaction. A rep stated the reason for the lack of follow through is that my claim was never assigned to anyone in Authorizations. When I asked why not he stated they were very busy and assured me I was not the only one having problems with the service. When I'm promised a callback, no one calls, and every time I call to follow up I get conflicting information and I'm told to try back in 24-48 hours.

3 weeks after my claim was filed they offered me a GE dryer replacement (I currently have a Whirlpool) or a buy out of $588. I requested a Whirlpool replacement (My 1 month old GE stove caught on fire and my experience with their customer service was as bad as HWA's) as I cannot purchase a dryer of equal quality for $588. The rep asked for the model number so she could submit it - when I called 48 hrs later to check the status they stated they couldn't find that model number, when I called back to verify the number they stated they no longer knew why Authorizations denied that particular unit. As of now - 1 month after I filed my claim - I'm still waiting for an explication or alternative Whirlpool model numbers to choose from.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Kristina. We appreciate you taking the time to provide your personal experience with us. We are working diligently to improve processes within our company to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction. We wanted to take a moment to apologize that your experience has been less than exceptional and would like to assist you in properly addressing your concerns. If you would please chat with one of our live agents via hwahomewarranty.com or send us an email with your claim number and full address for verification to digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com we would be more than happy to look into this for you. Thank you, and have a great day! - Jill

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

We have been without a working AC for nearly 2 months. The first time we filed a claim HWA took 3 weeks to get the replacement part out to us. Come to find out, the part was ready after 2 weeks but they failed to communicate this with our AC company. The issue persisted due to an incorrect part being sent back (this was the AC company's fault). Now, our new AC company has diagnosed the issue and has a replacement part ready to go. Because we have to go through HWA, we've been sitting on the part for 1 week waiting to hear back about the admin needs to get the company to swap the compressor. It "Stuck in purchasing" and they can't give a timeline.

We've called every day and have not been able to receive any information on timing or when the process will be completed. If they do end up needed to order themselves, I'm sure it will take another 2 weeks to get the part. This process has been ridiculous after 2 months of no AC in 100 degree weather. I would not recommend to anyone. Not worth the savings or hassle.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Aleigha. We are so sorry that you claim process has been frustrating. We would like to make sure things are resolved for you at this point, or at the very least, moving in that direction. We are unable to locate your claim from the information contained in your review. If you would like us to look into this further for you, please send us an email with your claim number and full address for verification to digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com. We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you - Jill

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I have been with this company for five years. I had the diamond package (which isn't cheap) to cover all of my appliances and an additional package to cover sewer lines. I have used their services 3 times prior with a few complaints (being timeliness in responding and shady vendors) to repair my garage door opener, replace my washing machine and microwave. Doing the math, having a contract with them isn't worth it. You spend almost $1000/year for just in case coverage with horrible customer service. This last experience was it for me. One of my A/C units went out three weeks ago. I called my A/C guy first to see what he thought and he suggested a new unit because it was very outdated and putting new parts on a old system won’t necessarily fix the issue.

So I called my warranty company to file a claim (since I’m paying for services). I was given the name of a contractor who showed up the same day to come and inspect my unit. They suggested trying a compressor first. This was on a Saturday. The following Wednesday I decided to call and follow up with the contractor. The agent told me that they were waiting on the warranty company to approve the claim. So I called HWA and they told me that they were waiting on the diagnosis from the contractor. The agent then said, “Let me put you on hold so we can call them.” Comes back to the phone and says, “We talked to them and they told us the compressor so we will process this and get back with you by the end of business today.” EOB comes and goes.

Thursday I call again. The agent goes thru the same exact spill about waiting on the vendor to reply with a diagnosis. Now I’m confused. How is this possible. The agent then says. “Let me call them and see.” Comes back on the phone with the same exact response they say it’s a compressor etc etc give us until the eob today. Ok.... Eob comes and goes AGAIN! Friday I call and I’m pissed. I feel as if I’m in a loop, the agent proceeds to start saying the same exact thing. I then ask what country are you in? “I am in Guatemala ma'am.” “May I speak to a rep in the USA please.” You have to keep calling back and possibly get one in the US.

I called 10x, got one rep in Cali who only worked in sales and transferred me back to Mexico. How can a company called Home Warranty of America not be in the United States of America? I wouldn't have such an issue if the reps in other countries had jurisdiction outside of reading a teleprompter with rehearsed lines on how to solve problems. They are doing exactly what they were taught to do. Nothing. I have wasted time and money with this company. Buyer beware! They don't care at all. Spend a few weeks saving your money and repairing or replacing your items yourself.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I am very disappointed with HWA. I filed a claim July 1, 2018 for a broken flange that was clearly covered by my warranty. A technician showed up July 3 and spent less than 5 minutes in the house before returning to his truck to make a call. He returned to state that the work would not be covered because the toilet needed to be re-piped and that would involve cementing the entrance to the pipe, something that wasn't covered and would cost me $679. When I spoke to HWA later, I was informed that I would get a buy-out for the flange portion of the work if I did not want to pay for the job by the vendor. I informed them that I did not want to pay and was told to wait 24-48 hours for the authorization department to call me for my buy-out information.

I must've called HWA about seven times to get this information throughout the month of July and most of August. I would be told that the authorization department did not have any information on my claim, or to wait 24-48 hours again, or that my claim was closed. When I finally asked to speak to a supervisor, I was told the supervisor would call me within 24-72 hours. Needless to say, I never received a call from HWA on any matter, either from the authorization department of a supervisor. At this point I would advise everyone not to purchase the home warranty as I am stopping my payment for renewal.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

AC went out in June and filed a claim. We were told they couldn't find a contractor in the area. Come to find out contractors know the hoops HWA is going to put them through and are reluctant to work with them. We had to pay the contractor to come out $168 and were told we would be reimbursed. That still hasn't happened. As a result of the service call it was recommended the unit be replaced. The quote was close to $10K. My thought at the time was I was so glad we had the warranty, it was this type of scenario we were trying to mitigate. And then the bad news, even though our policy 'covers' air conditioners, they said they would pay $975 to 'replace' the AC. They won't pay for the refrigerant to keep it cool, how's that? Very slow process, many hoops to jump through and warranty doesn't mean service or replacement. Would not recommended this company.

Home Warranty of America response

We are sorry to hear about the frustration regarding your AC claim, Cherri. We do try to be as transparent as possible when it comes to possible to delays that may occur in resolving claims. It appears that on the day you filed your claim (6/29/2018), we offered to allow you to find your own vendor, due to a lack of vendors in your area. Once the option to proceed in that direction was accepted, the claim had been open for 30+ days. The service provider gave us a diagnosis on 8/17/2018, which included a new compressor, capacitor, Freon and labor for a total of $975; HWA approved the repairs that same day. Per the terms of your HWA contract, section K: HWA has the sole right to determine whether any Covered System and Components will be repaired or replaced. In this case, it was determined that the mentioned components being replaced would resolve the issue. As a result, if the decision was made to replace the unit instead, HWA would not cover. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us directly at digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback, and enjoy your day. - Jill

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I just bought a house and inherited this home warranty insurance. After starting replacing all electrical plugs in the house I realized 7 of them in the basement were not working. The circuit breaker wasn't working either. I called customer service and filed a claim. They instructed me their own electrical contractor. They came and detected that the breaker was not working and needed replacement but at the same time wanted to revise the cabling. They also reported that I had replace the outlets and that these were not installed correctly. I just wanted to make the job easier but that was a mistake apparently. The outlets were not the cause but nevertheless they denied the repair and I had to pay $100 for absolutely nothing.

Home Warranty of America response
Hello, Franco. I am sorry that you are unhappy with the decision regarding your claim. After reviewing the claim details, it shows that the repairs attempted prior to your claim being filed were done improperly. Per the terms of the contract, Section III, D.: HWA has the sole and absolute right to select the Authorized Repair Technician to perform the Service; HWA will not reimburse for Services performed

without its prior approval. Additionally, per the contract, the trade call fee is due when a technician is dispatched. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out to us at digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com. Thanks! Stevie

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I wanted to have some stuff covered for unexpected expenses, so I looked into getting a home warranty. A friend told me about Home Warranty of America and I had done my own research as well. Signing up for the service was easy. I just needed to sign up on the website and go from there. Having the warranty was easy until I needed something done. But I had to cancel my contract with them because it was very difficult communicating with them. I had to submit receipts multiple times and there were a few times that I had something else breaking and they did not cover it. They should follow up on the items that they said they would cover. They should have these in their records so I do not have to submit these to them repeatedly. I would not recommend them to a friend and I would tell people to avoid them because they're just the worst.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Poor communication. Went all summer with messed up air conditioner. Still not repaired. Told several times false information. Job was canceled after 3 months. Could have spent the money we paid for warranty on repairing the issue ourselves. I could not, in good faith recommend this company to anyone. If someone representing this company would like to dispute my claim, I will be happy to share all correspondence and documentation.

I used the website to input the claim, I left a detailed description of the issue, to include the make and model of the air conditioner. After 3 weeks they finally sent out a tech who was not certified or authorized to work on that specific model. I called and relayed this information, 3 more weeks and someone showed up to look at it. The tech stated he only needed to get authorization from HWA to purchase the part required.

After 2 weeks, I was told it would be resubmitted as an emergency claim to expedite since it was now mid July. I was told by HWA that the contractors have not heard from me about a part number and that they had left several messages. I spoke with the contractors, they stated this was untrue as my voicemail is not set up so they could not leave a message, and they were still waiting on HWA to process the purchase request. After 2 more weeks, I received an email stating the job was canceled due to us not providing a part number to the contractors. The job is now open again. The same tech as before came out again, to get the part number again... It has been 2 weeks since then and I am still waiting for results.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

We have submitted a claim for the AC 10 days ago, and so far they haven't fixed it yet. Day 1 weeks call, and we submitted the claim, the next day we get a technician from One Hour HVAC. He said the refrigerant was low, and he filled it up. The next day the ac stopped working and we called them again, they sent the same company. This time the refrigerant gas was at ZERO. The technician said that he performed a leak inspection, and found no leak. He said someone might be "STEALING" the gas. He recommended that we buy the cap to cover the opening, we did, but the warranty didn't cover it, anyway. He installed the cap, did the leak inspection, and filled the refrigerant gas again.

Next morning we started to feel the home heating up again, the AC stopped working again. We call them again for the 3rd time, and they send the same company, but a different technician. He goes down to the AC unit and goes "oh there is a leak. I can hear it." "Well the guy that came before you said there are no leaks, and he said he did a leak test, and found nothing," I said. He said, "I only can talk about what I did." "OK. Anyway can you fix it??" "No. I have to go back, and send everything to the warranty company, and then they will tell us what are they going to cover." That was day 7 without AC. We call HWA again to ask them what is the process the next day, we need the AC fixed. It is 93 degrees in the house.

They go, "Oh we have to get the report from the technician, we will send it to the authorization department, and they will call you within 48 hours." We call the next day because it is really hot, and we can't sleep, they say "the authorization department is still looking. They need 48 hours." We asked is there a way to escalate the process. The representative said, "They will call you in 2 hours." We call them today, day 10, and we ask them what is the status, and I get the most ridiculous answers that I have never heard in my life. "Oh the authorization department need 48 working hours, 6 days". This getting ridiculous, and they are in default of the contract, I pay everything on time, and they haven't fixed the AC yet. Will take this to legal.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Efat. We are so sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with our claims process. We appreciate you taking the time to provide your personal experience with us. We are working diligently to improve processes within our company to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction. In reviewing your claim today, I can see that it has been escalated to our Office of the President for resolution. They are working diligently with the service provider to get this squared away for you. If there is anything else we can do to assist, please feel free to reach out via Live Chat or send an email to digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com. Thank you! - Jill

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I bought a home for the first time and I wanted some extra assurance that if something breaks then I’m able to afford it. My realtor suggested home warranty providers she was familiar with and I went with Home Warranty of America. Signing up was easy and interacting with the reps was good. I have submitted two claims that were quickly taken care of and a contractor got everything done the same day. However, there's one in now that’s taking a long time. I'm a little frustrated about it because they didn’t look at my AC and I’m in Mobile, Alabama where it gets really hot. The contractor came out two separate days. Now, it’s been a week and I’m still waiting on them to come back for a part that Home Warranty said their purchasing department ordered. Nonetheless, I've had a good experience overall with Home Warranty of America and I recommend them.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Tiffany. We can definitely understand the frustration of being without AC. We have reviewed your claim, and it shows the parts have been authorized for order as of today. Once they arrive, your vendor should be in contact to schedule an installation. We are glad to hear that your previous claims were processed efficiently and to your satisfaction. Thank you for taking the time to share a review, and for providing us with feedback! If you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to us at digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com. Enjoy your day! - Liv

Resolution response: Sept. 9, 2018

After complaining to our realtor who has a relationship with a local HWA rep, they called and told me they’d cover 100%.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

AC unit broke in the middle of July, TX. They lied on the phone to us about their approved providers being able to fix next day (or even in two days -- it's hot in Texas and soonest was 9 days... We'd have to check into a hotel). Anyway, we had to do our own search for someone who could fix, and had them submit the claim. They knew about this company and said they are terrible doing business with, as the person fixing has to wait on hold for hours with them. Submitting paid invoice on 7.24. Was told I'd hear back in 48 hours.

Week goes by, I call again, I'm told they'll research and call me back next day. Never received call. Two more weeks go by, at this point a month since invoice submitted, spoke with someone who said they are waiting on info from the company. They've had the invoice for a month... So why didn't they call them and get the info they needed in the first place? With me on hold, they did call, got the info needed and put it into processing.

Again, told I'd have a callback, never happened. Called them last week, told I'd get a call last Friday or this Monday... Again, surprise, never received. Called today, and I'm told they are only approving 1/7th of the invoice, and the rep couldn't tell me why. I asked to speak with a supervisor and I'm told he has 13 calls on queue and will back me back "within 24 hours." Not holding my breath.

We went with this company because they offered 13 month warranty when others offered 12 but that was a huge mistake -- who cares about an extra month of nothing. I can't believe they are still in business. Sharing this warning with all our friends and neighbors as well as the real estate company we used. They should be out of business. I don't know how they can continue to lie over the phone, and they are just hoping you'll get burnt out and stop calling them. Truly appalling.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

We kept the Home Warranty of America coverage after it was included with the sale of our house. The process for the renewal of service was easy and the reps I have spoken to were good. We had smooth interactions and they answered my questions. Also, things worked out fine when I submitted claims. Usually, the providers don’t miss so they’d get there all that quick but they have a day or so for the contract. They worked on older stuff so the things now work as good as I can get them.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Rodney. We appreciate the excellent rating and positive feedback! So glad to hear that your experience with us has been great. Our goal is always to exceed our customer's expectations. Thank you so much for taking some time to leave us a review. Have a great day! - Stevie N.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Years ago, I was thinking about selling my house. I interviewed a real estate agent and she told me about Home Warranty of America. She said that it's good to have them when selling my house. I could always offer the warranty and transfer it to the next person. The process to sign up was annoying. Once I decided to do it, the lady took forever. I renewed it, gave them all my credit card information and suddenly figured out it's supposed to be automatic. I'm not that good at anything that’s on automatic withdraw and I don’t usually even look at it.

I travel a lot and three minutes by when I was reading my checkbook, I realized I have not paid HWA. So, if I had a problem, I'm not sure if I would have been covered. I called HWA and pointed this out because I don’t want them to tell me I'm not covered because I have not paid. They said they were gonna charge my account with all the money I owe and I would be fine. That was the stupidest thing.

When submitting a claim, I would always call them. I want them to tell me when the contractor is coming. If have a refrigerator problem, I physically want to know before I get off the phone who they have reached out to, and while they're telling me that, I'm researching them online to see if they have a bad rep or not. One technician did an excellent job with my icemaker on my freezer. He's the one who has come out a couple of times on my washing machine, and he was nice enough to call me back a week later and ask me if I still have a noise. I've been happy with him. On the other hand, I paid $100, but the washing machine was still making a weird noise. It feels like it was grinding the engine out. I called HWA and my husband told me that if the machine breaks, HWA will handle it.

Another claim I had was an issue about our air conditioning. A guy came in to look at the air conditioner. They sent a second person in, he went upstairs, didn’t do any of the things they said they did, but they charged me $2,500 for all of this adaptability. When I called Home Warranty of America, I told them what happened and tried to get them to come in, but they never called me back. I also had an issue with my stove and my claim went on and on for months. I finally had to threaten to get my attorney involved and then they said they would pay me out, but I couldn’t buy a stove for what they wanted to pay me out for. So, I told them to send me one and they were rude about that.

There was also a situation when the contractor took out a unit, but they put back a much smaller and crappy unit. I was enraged when I found out about it. My husband wrote to them, but they never contacted us back and never responded to emails. The only thing they told me was that person was no longer with the company. I told them that since that person was with their company, they were the ones responsible, but they did nothing.

I've had three things done and it was always a real hassle other than the washing machine or dishwasher getting repaired. People work hard for reputation and I would go in the news to say my experience. If they did a good job, I'd be the first one singing their praises, but the next house or the next time I have to purchase a home warranty, I won't go back at all. I've recently found out that American Home Shield is better. Once I transfer, there is a six months period and my house was going on the market on Saturday. So, I don’t wanna transfer now. I'd almost have to do two at one time. If people asked me about HWA, I'd tell them to get American Home Shield.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Had a washer that was backing up. They had to removed a piece of drywall for the repair. The drywall repair was not covered under their warranty. How do you pay someone to destroy a wall and not cover the repair after they are the ones who cut it up? I am a automotive mechanic and this seems ridiculous to me. When I make a warranty repair I don't tear the vehicle apart replace the faulted part and then charge you to put it back together. Buyers beware. Find another warranty company, this one is a sham.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon Brandon. We apologize if this information has been further relayed to you pertaining to your claim. When access is needed HWA will not offer to pay the costs with creating the opening, but if the vendor receives the approval from the Authorization Department pior to creating the access then our warranties offer the coverage to repair any drywall back to a rough finish once the claim is submitted.

If you are still needing assistance with this please feel free to email us directly at Digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com. Thank you, Adrien.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I submitted a claim on my hot water heater to Home Warranty of America and the contractors they sent out were fine. The one that was in there was really old and it was a ticking time bomb according to the technician. So, we got lucky before something major happened. It needed to be replaced and a lot of things upgraded to code. I, however, did not like that I had to come out of pocket quite a bit. Also, I did not like that they upped their service call. Nevertheless, aside from those, we have been satisfied. I would recommend it.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi James. Your comment references American Home Shield, and this is the review page for Home Warranty of America. Is it possible that you submitted this on the wrong page? If you do have feedback for HWA, please feel free to submit that, or reach out to us digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com for any questions or concerns.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I filed an initial claim for an air conditioner unit at the end of May. I filed a claim on a second unit in the middle of June. Both were not working and number providers were assigned. Some simply didn’t show up. Finally service provider claimed they needed to be replaced. The second claim was initially approved at the beginning of July. The first has yet to be approved. It has been over 10 weekend of no air and numerous contacts with their customer assistance and supervisors were fruitless. The supervisors promised to escalate and call me with updates, never heard back from any of them. Paid 3 separate service charges and have received nothing and it is still in authorization limbo.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon Mike. We regret to hear that you personally went through any difficult in getting both claims processed and resolved. During our Peak Season not only Warranty companies, but also the service vendors and suppliers can receive a much larger than anticipated work load. During this summer season we do see that chance for a wait to be cause increased.

After following up on your claim we see that it was since been processed through the Supplier and vendor and once the orders are in their possession they will be reaching out to you directly to have all the work and installations completed. If you are still needing any concerns addressed in the meantime please feel free to reach out to our Department directly at: Digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com. Thank you, Adrien.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I'm very happy with Home Warranty of America. It came with the house when we bought it, so we continued. On one claim, however, it was difficult because the subcontractor never showed up. The second company did not show up either. So, I said, “Forget this one.” While the office itself is okay, sometimes the subcontractors just do not want to move forward. Then, we decided to put a new cooktop unit, so we did not need the service anymore. The only claims they have paid for and taken care of were the time when the pool motor went out and the time we had a plumbing issue. With the pool motor issue, they came out right away and fixed it. So, we were happy with that.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi Mike, and thank you for the review! We are glad to hear that you are happy with our service. I can see where the vendor not showing up for a scheduled appointment would be frustrating, and we're sorry that happened. We certainly appreciate the feedback, and it is our pleasure to serve you! Have a great day! - Stevie N.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I didn’t wanna pay high bills so I got a home warranty. Home Warranty of America is wonderful. I went to them because of the price and their customer service when I called. Sometimes I call but lately I go online to file claims and they’re prompt and responsive. They follow up to make sure that my needs have been met. Plus 90% of their contractors are excellent. I had a bad one once, and I let Home Warranty know and I never had to use them again. They’re always excellent. Whatever they can do to help me, they’ve done.

Home Warranty of America response

Sheryl, this is the experience and level of service we strive to provide for all of our customers. We are so glad that you are finding the online claim option helpful and easy to use. Thank you so much for taking the time to share a review for us! Enjoy your day! - Liv

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

One of my friends had a home warranty and I thought it would be a good idea to have it, so I signed up with Home Warranty of America. The signing up experience was all right but when my air conditioner went out in the summertime, I didn't think they did me right on it because I’m 87 years old and I was without air conditioner for three or four weeks. I kept calling them in order to get back with them and then the contractor that was gonna do it couldn’t do anything. It was a mess and I ended up paying $300 or $400 to get it fixed which was more than I thought I should have. That wasn't right because when I took the warranty out, HWA told me I’d pay for the service charge and they'd pay for the rest. The air conditioner is working okay now. Still, I was dissatisfied and I was even thinking about cancelling it, but I didn’t. Home Warranty of America could do better.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Home Warranty of America gave us the runaround from the very beginning, and this is not the first time this has happened. Since they contacted us and told us to get our own service people and then reimburse us, they haven't contacted us at all. That was almost three weeks ago. We got someone to get the issue fixed and paid for it ourselves. It's better worth our time to pay for it ourselves than to try to hassle with them every time. We're not happy at all and we're gonna cancel them.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Kay. We are so sorry to hear that your claim experience was frustrating. AC claims tend to spike during the peak season of mid to late summer, which can result in longer than anticipated claim resolution times. We try to be as transparent as possible regarding possible delays, which is why we offer the option to choose your own vendor. We are sorry to hear that you will be cancelling, and appreciate you taking the time to share this feedback with us. Thank you - Jill

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Our appliances are getting old and so the maintenance cost goes up. We wanted to secure the appliances, especially, the AC and the heating so we got a home warranty. We've had a very good experience in terms of the coverage and the service provided by HWA. We had a couple of claims where I dealt directly with the contractors with no issues. I'm extremely satisfied with the home warranty.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Dinkar, and thanks for the awesome 5-star rating and review. We are so pleased that your claims have been dealt with to your satisfaction. This is the type of experience we strive to provide for all of our customers. Thank you for taking some time to share your experience! Have a fantastic day! - Stevie N.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Six years ago, when we purchased our home, HWA came with it. And we just continued to have it. Usually, it’s an emergency when we call them to file a claim. However, the recent claim was a disaster and I went three days without water. It was in the winter time and they just could not find a contractor. By the time they had gotten a contractor, it was the weekend and we had to pay double. I have a disability and I need running water at all times so it was a big issue. The techs, however, were very nice and did their work perfectly. I’m hesitant to use HWA again. If they are covering well and septic, then they should have a well person. If they are covering HVAC, then they need an HVAC person. They do not necessarily have enough contractors for what they are covering. Still, I have recommended and I will continue to recommend them.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Morning Eleni. We are glad to hear that you have continued the Home Warranty that was gifted to you when you purchased your home over 6 years ago. We regret to hear that the recent claim that was field within your Home Warranty caused this upset to you and your family especially if there was no water available in your home. At this time each contracted vendor that does work with a Home Warranty are only able to accept a set amount of claims from a warranty at a time. Once they reach that limit they are removed from the system until a processing claim they are working on is completed so that they can be re-assigned to any newly filed claims. Our Account Manager Department is constantly working on updating the list of contracted vendors that we have available in each area and we hope that any future claims that you open are assigned to a vendor at a much quicker rate. Thank you, Adrien.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

We have been out of air conditioning in our home for over a month now and it is the middle of summer 8/24/18. This company could care less! They give you the run around and never want to give you a straight answer. You call the claims department and can never get a person who speaks clear English. We call multiple times a day all week long and have got nowhere. We have 2 young children in the home and 2 very heat sensitive dogs and that changes nothing. They will NOT be there for your family. They sent out 2 repair men that had NO knowledge on the type of unit we have until guy #3 came in and said you need a new unit. HWA asked if we was willing to pay the out of pocket expenses and we agreed of course our family is suffering!

Only for them to try and tell us our A.C isn't covered although it states in our contract it IS!!! They try pulling a fast one on you saying, "We can cut you a check for not even 1/4 of the cost for the new unit or you can pay for the whole thing." What would be the point of that! We are still waiting for an answer and supposedly it is in management now. Haha. Yeah right. They said they would call and never have I ever received a call from them! Hopefully this problem will be resolved soon and for sure before winter because not only is this our a.c. but our heat source as well! Oh and you can try threatening of retaining a lawyer & reporting them to the BBB and it concerns them not one bit! We really don't see how this company is even in business. Most horrible thing ever!!! Do yourself a favor and get a different company... If you don't it will be the biggest mistake you could ever make!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I have been with Home Warranty of America for five years already. I've never had any problems, so I stayed with them this long. However, there have been a few times where the reps have not responded to my calls or to emails. But, that has been somewhat rare. Sometimes, it i\was quite easy to submit a claim and other times it was not. The problem was not having people in the area to service the type of appliance that I had. We had Bosch Appliances and they gave me a person in this area that was supposed to be a Bosch service person, but that person never showed up and never did the work. And there was no other Bosch person around. Nevertheless, I'm satisfied with HWA!

Home Warranty of America response

Hello Larry. We are always glad to hear when a Homeowner decides to continue the use of their Home Warranty with us for an extended period of time past the initial first year of Home Ownership. We however never like to hear if there was a lack of assistance in getting answers provided from one of our HWA Agents and are always working on improving the service provided by our HWA Representatives as the contracted vendors that are assigned and sent out to the home to assist in getting a claim processed. Overall we are happy to hear of the satisfaction that was provided to you when using your Home Warranty with us. We hope you have a great week! -Adrien.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I have Home Warranty of America as they were recommended during the purchase of the house and the previous owner already had HWA. It was transferred over to me and from there, I renewed the coverage. This was my second time renewing with them and it was extremely easy to do. Their reps are very helpful and our interactions have been excellent. I’m not handy so if there is something wrong with anything in the house, I can just call them and they can send someone to fix it. I've submitted three claims so far. They’re very fast in processing those claims and communication has been excellent.

One time, I had an issue with one of the contractors that they sent. It was with the spa heater and the contractor said that the job was completed and that it was fixed. But when I returned home and turned the spa heater on, it was not working. So I had to call HWA and then they sent another contractor to actually fix it and repair was done. Also, I had a plumbing issue one time as well as an electrical issue recently. When the contractors came to address those concerns, they fixed the issue.

Home Warranty of America is a great home warranty company and I have recommended them to other recent homeowners. So far, to me, it has been a great decision to go with them even though I was not given options. If it’s working for me so far and with all these three claims that I’ve had, I don’t see why I need to go shopping for something else. That grass may not be greener on the other side.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Jorge. We appreciate you taking the time out of your day to provide an exceptional rating based on your experience with us. We are working diligently to improve processes within our company to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction. Please feel free to reach out to one of our live chat agents at hwahomewarranty.com with your full contact information should you ever need our assistance. Thank you again and have an amazing day! - Jill

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

We’ve had a home warranty before we moved here, so when we moved here, I was interested in getting one. I’ve had Home Warranty of America for years and I got so many good experiences with them in the past. My most recent claim experience was my refrigerator that wasn’t working. It wasn’t cooling and I put a claim in, but nobody would call or contact and HWA bounced it around multiple people. I defrosted the refrigerator and it seemed to be working fine. Eventually, I told them that it was working and to just stop with the claim. That was my last claim and it wasn’t that great, and I wasn’t too happy with it.

They had just one company that they gave me, but they said that they don’t do refrigerators anymore. Every time like that happened, it would take several days before I heard back. I usually submit my claim online and it’s easier. My wife would tell me about something in the evening when they’re close, so it’s really easy to use the online. HWA did well, although the problem sometimes is it takes too much time to work through there. Other than that, I’m satisfied.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Morning Michael. We are glad to hear that the service provided to you in the past caused you to want to create a new Home Warranty with us for your new home. We are always working on improving the online account and systems to ensure that they are user friendly and easy to maneuver so that what is needed whether that is locating coverage or process a claim can be completed in a timely manner, especially if it is outside of our Customer Care Availability.

We regret to hear that there was a longer than desired delay in getting a vendor to work and process your claim. Our Account Manager are constantly updating the list of available contracted vendors so that service can be provided at a much sooner rate than the last. We will be sure they are notified of this wait that is being caused in your area pertaining to a lack of Refrigerator skilled Technicians. If there is anything we can help with in the future please do not hesitate to reach out to us directly at Digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com. -Adrien.

Home Warranty of America expert review by Michele Lerner

Home Warranty of America, Inc. (HWA) sells home warranties to protect owners from unexpected and expensive repairs. HWA was founded in 1996 and is headquartered in Illinois.

• Plan options: HWA offers multiple plan options so customers can choose the plan that offers the coverage they want. They have plans specifically designed for new homebuyers, existing home owners and home sellers.

• Coverage option tool: Interested consumers can visit the HWA website to see all the plan options. They can also use the coverage option tool to see how adding or removing certain types of coverage will affect their premium.

• GreenPlus: HWA’s GreenPlus option lets consumers add coverage that will replace a broken appliance or system with an Energy Star certified one. This coverage must be added on to plans for a small additional monthly fee.

• Older homes: HWA covers homes and appliances regardless of their age, and they do not require an inspection before coverage begins. As long as appliances and systems are in good working order on the policy effective date, they are covered for general wear and tear.

• Maintenance guides: HWA’s website features several home maintenance guides to help owners keep up with small but necessary tasks. The site also includes informational videos.

• Best for: first-time homebuyers, owners of older homes, home sellers and real estate professionals.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Home Warranty of America Company Information