Call toll free
3.86/5
Based on 542 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1996, Home Warranty of America has offered customers fast and easy solutions with excellent service. Our goal is to provide high value protection at a reasonable price.

Home Warranty of America specializes in home warranty plans, real estate, home sellers warranty, appliance warranty and home protections plans. Whether you are selling your home, buying a new one, or staying put we want you to save money and time. Let us help you succeed while providing the best protection. Call us today!

BBBB Rating
View More View More

1588 Home Warranty of America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 10, 2018

We contacted HWA concerning our washer claim #** on 5/2/208. At that time the washer would not spin. The repairman tried to repair without a part. The machine was so loud after that visit that we could not use the machine in the evening. Before the repairman came the machine was very quiet. The repairman came out for a second time bringing a used part he had on hand. He told me the bearings were replaced and that this brand of machine was loud. All 3 adults in the household told him the machine was not loud before his visit.

2nd Claim ** on 7/02/2018. The washing machine stopped working on the weekend so we waited until Monday to file the claim. Complaint machine does not work on any setting. On 7/5/18 the repairman sent by HWA confirmed the machine does not work! He told us that HWA would contact us concerning options. On 7/6/18 My husband contacted HWA because we had not heard from them and it was now Friday. He was informed that HWA has 48 hours to contact us. Which meant that it would be Monday 7/09/18 before they would process the claim. We were informed that HWA had not received the paperwork from the repairman. We contacted the representative company and the paperwork was sent again. Tuesday, 07/10/18 again no contact initiated by HWA. All contact to this point has been initiated by us, the customer.

Today we were asked the date we purchased the washing machine, told that they would need to send another repairman out to confirm the assessment of the repairman HWA sent!! The HWA representative confirmed they do not have another company contracted with them. Additionally they have moved the current claim into the claim history with no open claim listed on the website. We have been unable to wash our clothes this month at all, and it is now 11 days into the month with no resolution in sight. At this point the company feels like a scam!!! If we do not get appropriate compensation for the claim then we will file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in Lincolnshire, Illinois and consider filing a complaint with the Attorney General of Texas.

Top 1588 Home Warranty of America Reviews | ConsumerAffairs

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 7, 2018

No AC for 9 days now, with no end in sight. They know what the problem is and they know it’s their responsibility to fix it, but they keep stalling on ordering the part. They said it was out of stock when they tried to order Monday, but won’t prove that. They didn’t try to reorder until we called for an update on Thursday. Still won’t provide proof of purchase order or give us an estimated time we have to live in these dangerous conditions. My youngest got sick and became dehydrated. A 90 degree home is not safe or tolerable, and there is no end in sight. We will drop this company as soon as we get through this nightmare. SCAM, they just take your money.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi, Dodi. Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us with your feedback. I am sorry to hear you have had a poor experience with our company as this is definitely not the type of experience we want to provide for our customers. I will forward your feedback regarding service to our management team for further review to ensure that we take a close look at how to improve our processes. If you have any additional questions or concerns please feel free to reach back out to our Social Media Team via Facebook or Twitter. -Paige

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 6, 2018

I would steer clear of this company, 1 star only because I cannot give less. Original claim submitted June 7th, today is July 6th, we still do not have our AC fixed and haven't seen anyone for it in more than 2 weeks. We are waiting for HWA's "purchasing department", if it actually exists because I cannot speak to anyone in that department according to customer service, to confirm shipment of a part ordered a week ago. I have complained to 2 separate supervisors to no avail. I have had to call twice per day for the last week to check on the status of a part I was promised was ordered and no one knows where it is currently. I have a pregnant wife and 2 kids in Austin Texas living in the house and kept being told this will be elevated as an emergency. I will be reporting them to the BBB and will tell my realtor and her office to keep people away from this very questionable company.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi, Adam. We regret to hear you have had a negative experience with our customer service and getting your claim resolved. This is certainly not the type of experience we want to provide and I would be happy to review the claim if you still have questions or concerns. For assistance please email us with your claim number and telephone number at digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com. Thank you! -Elle

Original review: July 5, 2018

I wish I could cancel the policy. I was told by preferred contractor they would not be able to come out till Monday (today is Thursday). It is 97 degrees today. It is 87 degrees in my house. The service representative stated she had no way to connect me with anyone other than herself to speak to about my situation. I could not use my own vendor who can come out sooner unless I pay out of pocket. The customer service representative didn't seem to think the temperature was an emergency that required attention before Monday. The best she could find today was another vendor that could come out on Tuesday. Highly disappointed with service. Will definitely not renew with this company.

Home Warranty of America response

Tyral, thank you for providing your feedback on your recent AC claim. I apologize for the frustration you have had regarding the availability of vendors. Unfortunately, during this time of year, many customers are experiencing AC issues which causes vendors to have limited availability. We work hard to find vendors with the earliest appointment times to ensure your claim is resolved in a timely manner. If there are additional questions we may assist with on the claim please feel free to email us at digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com for further assistance. Thank you. -Paige

Original review: July 5, 2018

I work in customer service so I know a thing or two about making customers your top priority. Without customers, no business will be able to thrive. That being said, I contacted HWA a week ago when our air conditioning unit went out. Entering the claim had to be the easiest part. After that, everything went downhill. First of all, no one communicated to us that we would have to wait weeks before our unit would be fixed. A contractor came out two days later and submitted his findings with the company. The contractors this company uses are horrible. They don't work with major contractors. They work with people who could care less about running a professional business.

When we finally got someone, he placed his findings with the company. Then we were contacted about what our out of pocket expense would be. This was the only time we were contacted by this company without reaching out first. All we get is the run around about how they are waiting for the purchasing department. Purchasing department? So in an emergency repair situation, you are still held to the same standards as a regular repair. This is horrible customer service. So we are stuck in a home with temperatures averaging in the 90s with two small kids waiting on a purchasing department. We have no updates or no answers. There is NEVER a supervisor available. The 24 hour service is a complete joke.

We were told by the contractor that this company deliberately makes its customers wait until they find the cheapest parts and/or they simple give up and pay out of pocket for their repairs. This is the worst level of customer service I have ever had with a company. We are on day 8 of having no air and we still don't have any answers. As soon as our contract is up with this company, WE WILL NOT RENEW IT!! I advise anyone reading this review to look elsewhere for home warranty. We had to buy a window unit, which they will not reimburse us for because we simply couldn't live in our home comfortably anymore. That's another out of pocket expense! Customer service is not what this company represents. They only want your money then they take their time processing your claim. They don't care about their customers well-being.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: July 3, 2018

One of the worst warranty company I ever had. The contract companies will just charge you for the visit even though they didn't fix the problem. Never ever take this warranty. They will just suck your money out of your pockets.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 30, 2018

My condo was sold to me with an HWA warranty, mainly because the HVAC were very old (but functioning) and the sellers probably wanted to make it more attractive for buyers. In early May, my central air stopped producing cold air. They sent a local plumber out to take a look. He recharged it, it held the charge while he monitored it, and it worked... For a few days. Maybe 2-3 weeks later, I called HWA again, and they sent out the same plumber again (honest and helpful, I have no issue with the plumber). He recharged the AC again, and checked a few of the lines for leaks, discovered it was leaking and would require a $400ish repair needing authorization from HWA.

It is now nearly July. I keep calling for updates, and every time I get differing answers. The first time, they had the diagnosis and it was with the authorization dept. The next time, they sent the plumber a link to resubmit the information that would escalate it for speedier resolution, next person told me they didn't have the diagnosis, and would need to call the plumber. The next time, they had the diagnosis, but needed more information, and then finally again, told they didn't have the diagnosis. Meanwhile, it has been since May that I've been without central AC, and it is expected to get into the 90s this weekend. I also have a dog, who I'm afraid to leave home alone when the temperature in my condo is creeping above 80 degrees, even into the night.

I've never dealt with a company with such poor service and the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. They don't know whats going on, and don't care either. When I've asked to speak to a manager or supervisor, I get put on hold for 10-15 minutes in what I'm convinced is an effort to get me to hang up. I work in customer service, so I'm used to dealing with angry customers. I try not to be "that person" when dealing with other customer service employees. But for the first time ever in my life, I completely lost my temper and let loose shouting a string of profanities as a result of the complete ineptness of this company and their employees.

Add to that, I asked the plumber how hard it was to get a replacement out of HWA, since given the age of the HVAC, repairing it is like putting lipstick on a pig. He said it's next to impossible. He said, "I could recommend to them that it should be replaced, and they'll push back saying no. When I tell them that the AC is 30+ years old, they'll act surprised because they issue these warranties without any assessment of what they're warrantying, and come back with 'We'll give you $500 towards a replacement.'" He also states that the costs that HWA estimates for any given repair are grossly out of touch with reality, so on the back end, he has to fight to get reimbursed the appropriate cost for his work.

So not only are they screwing over their warranty holders, but they're screwing the vendors that work for them. All they do is screw people. If I had any idea what a headache it was going to be to get anything repaired or replaced by these people, I'd have told the sellers to keep their crappy warranty and give me a new HVAC. BUYER BEWARE! It's not worth your aggravation or money. If buying a property and they offer you an HWA warranty, RUN!

Hi Brenton,

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your claims. It's perfectly understandable that you're very upset about the situation taking so long. Rest assured, we are working diligently to improve processes within our company to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction throughout our peak season.

Upon reviewing your claim, we have been in contact with the vendor to receive the diagnosis from the recall. We have also received your home inspection and it is currently under review with our authorization's department. Once this information has been reviewed, we will be able to move forward with your claim.

Should you have additional questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us via email, Live Chat on our website or via phone. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Original review: June 28, 2018

Have contacted HWA multiple times about our AC system being down during extremely hot conditions. Each representative has yet to feel empathetic to my situation nor seem to care it has taken so long. They can't tell me when the repair will be approved. They say it is in the approval process but have no way to contact the approval department. Each time I call they tell me they will put in a note in for the approval department to call me and rush but never hear back. At this point I feel this company is not looking out for their customers and does not care that the inside of the house is 90+ deg. We are a family and have two kids but HWA doesn't seem to care.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Home Warranty of America does not pay out especially when it comes to A/C units. If you do search of this company's reviews you will see my complaint is not alone. On 5/29/18 I made a claim. They sent a service tech out 6/8 who told me the system would need to be replaced because the condenser coil went out. I was contacted on 6/12 by Paul ** who stated it would be covered under my coverage because my coverage covered unknown pre-existing problems. Told me he would call me back within 48 hrs after he looked at my home inspection to make sure it was not identified on it. I have called this company back 12 times now even reached out to the president of the company through the BBB and still no response. It has been a month since my claim and nothing is being done.

I visited my local court house. They told me to send them a demand letter and give them 10 days. I have done this and the 10th day is tomorrow. I will have to file a small claims suit against them. I have exhausted every avenue possible. They think by ignoring me I will give up and go away. I won't. I will get a judgment against them and make them do what they are suppose to do.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I first purchased a home warranty with your company in 2015. I renewed my policy with Home Warranty of America every renewal and would have continued to do so. I set up on your auto draft payment plan. I am not sure of reason, but the draft did not happen, my plan was canceled. No one from your company ever informed me of this. Even on your website it said I still had coverage.

As soon as I realized this, I called to reinstate my plan. At that time I asked for the same coverage that I had previously had. The rep on the phone told me my current plan had the same coverage as my old plan only a different name, due to fact it was not coming from an agent, and I was purchasing it as a consumer. I asked again if it was the same coverage as I originally had, he said I actually had better coverage now than before. I was paying roughly the same amount as previously maybe a little more, so I took him at his word, I felt I had no reason not to trust your company.

I was happy about putting it back in place. This was February 2018. On May 16th 2018 my ac stopped working. I called in to place the claim, where I was informed, I no longer had coverage on ac. After numerous phone calls and 2 weeks of time and no one ever calling me back, I finally got to someone that would review the call and fixed my policy to include my ac again, and move forward with my claim. 4 days after my claim went in the tech came out, said Freon was low, recharged it. (No checks for leaks) took my $75 and then sent me a bill for an additional $40 for Freon. This was a $5 savings over what I would have paid out of pocket hiring them on my own. This lasted for 1.5 days.

I called back to claims dept. to inform them that my ac was out again. Service provider came back out, June 2nd. This time he told me that the unit was busted and would need to be replaced. I was told by your service provider that the unit needed to be replaced, Your service provider was told by HWA that they were replacing the unit, that happened on June 20th. I have this in writing from service provider. I have asked multiple times to know what’s going on. I was told multiple times a manager would call, no one did. I told your representative on June 20th that if I did not receive a call back with a resolution within 24 hours I was filling a complaint with Better Business Bureau.

I received my first call back after 37 days without ac on June 21st. He was very rude, he told me my unit needed to be modified to be able to use the same Freon as it currently uses and my out of pocket cost would be over $400. When I asked for explanation he became even more rude and told me I could take it or he could give me a buyout number, but that would take more time. Now HWA is no longer replacing unit and they are repairing unit? Why? Because I forced the issue? I have a message from your service provider that the tech was very upset about this. I do not understand why HWA uses a provider and do not follow their recommendations. I do not understand why on June 20th you are telling your provider you are replacing the unit and the next day you are telling me you are going to try to repair it.

It is now June 28th, I am now 45 days without air. I still do not know when I will have ac. I have 4 young children and a wife in a home without ac in the 2nd hottest June on record. I purchased a home warranty to protect myself from something like this happening. The temperatures have been higher than 93 degrees in my home. The humidity is so high that my carpets are damp. HWA can’t tell me why they are not replacing unit as HWA said they were doing, or when anything will be resolved. Supposedly something is on order. I have been hearing this for over a week.

The service provider HWA sent is even confused as to what is going on. I feel as if I am being taken advantage of, and will only have a temporary fix if anything ever does happen. I was told that the unit needed to be replaced, not repaired (I have this in text messages and in voicemail from the service provider HWA sent to my home). I have been told on the phone I cannot speak with someone that can make a decision and remedy my issue. I was told that person doesn’t exist HWA. I even sent an email with this same information to the email on the Better Business Bureau website yesterday. Still no response. After 45 days I have been more than patient. Claim number **.

Good Afternoon Ryan,

It's perfectly understandable that you're very upset about the situation taking so long. Rest assured, we appreciate you taking the time to provide your personal experience with us. We are working diligently to improve processes within our company to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction.

In reviewing your claim, the condenser coil was installed, however, the technician has informed us that the condenser will now need to be replaced due to still not cooling.

Upon speaking with our back office department, the replacement has been approved. We are currently working to secure the new equipment and will follow up with you as soon as possible to set up the install. We greatly appreciate your patience in getting this matter resolved.

Should you have additional questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us via email, Live Chat on our website or via phone. Thank you and have a pleasant day!

Original review: June 27, 2018

We have a problem with our kitchen sink. It’s been like this for over a week now. HWA has sent 3 different plumbers. One plumber didn't have long enough equipment. The plumber called HWA to let them know. Then the 2nd plumbing company NEVER came to see what the issue was but tried to charge us $1,500 to dig outside our home because they thought that was the problem. But again they never came to our home! The 3rd plumber came out, saw the problem and said he would be able to fix it. Here comes my issue with HWA.

After sending them our home inspection that we had done they found every reason in the book to deny coverage of our warranty. Even after the plumber has stated the issues in that inspection are not the problem. They even said they’re denying coverage because of a cabinet that’s in our BASEMENT that is nowhere near the sink that’s in our kitchen. Even your call center representative Elizabeth said that shouldn’t be a reason to deny coverage. This has been over a week and there is still water backed in our sink from the first plumber that came out and I haven’t received a phone from Sherry ** or a supervisor like I’ve asked.

This company feels like a scam. They take your money but don’t waste time calling for help because no one is there to help. It took them less than an hour to deny coverage but over a week to give me any answers why I won’t get coverage? This is the worst customer services I’ve had from any company and would definitely not recommend them to anyone. Also I would also ask for the BBB to take a look into their business practices because the reasons they deny coverage WITHOUT even speaking to the plumber that came out and LYING saying he said the issue was my garbage disposal and dishwasher which he didn’t say because I called him for his diagnostics of the problem BEFORE speaking with them is definitely not good business tactics.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Absolutely one of the worst experiences I’ve had with a company. Our air conditioner stopped working on a Tuesday morning and it took HWA until Friday to get a technician out to diagnose the problem. Mind you, it’s 90+ degrees and humid all week and we have a 2 year old on oxygen who has heart and lung problems. We then had to wait all weekend, through Tuesday when WE reached out for answers, just to find out that the warranty won’t cover nearly $1000 worth of the repair. I wonder when they planned on contacting us to let us know what the hold up was in the claim process? It’s so disheartening having to deal with companies like this.

Good Afternoon Jessica,

We wanted to take a moment to apologize that your experience was less than exceptional and would like to assist you in properly addressing your concerns.

Regarding the out of pocket expenses other than the trade call fee per claim, there are instances when items or modifications are not covered by the warranty and at the expense of the homeowner.

We do inform you of these expenses prior to moving forward with the claim, if they are accepted we proceed with the claim, if they are not accepted, we will then possibly offer a cashout amount for the claim for the covered items. In your case, you declined the out of pocket expenses and requested for the claim to be cancelded.

Should you wish to discuss the claim or coverage, please feel free to contact us via Live Chat on our website, by phone or email. Thank you and have a delightful day!

Original review: June 26, 2018

I got Home Warranty of America because I was told that it would come in handy when we needed things repaired. I've used it twice within the first year. The first time, I called on the phone and the second time I went online. And then I received a call, they got more information from me and sent out a technician. Both technicians seemed to really know what they were doing and it didn't take long for them to fix what we needed fixed. On one we never had a disposal before and it just wasn't turned on. So the particular gentleman said, "Oh, I feel so bad because all I had to do was flip a switch." So he looked around and he gave us the information about when to have maintenance on different things. I would recommend HWA.

Good Morning Sarita,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a great rating based on your experience with our company. We definitely value you as a customer and strive to provide exceptional customer service at all times.

Please feel free to contact us at via email, phone or Live Chat on our website should you ever need our assistance. Thank you and have an amazing day!

Original review: June 26, 2018

This company is a complete scam. We already paid for the home warranty service. Every time the company sends someone out to look at an issue it is $60. It took multiple times just to get a repair man scheduled. I had to take off work to wait for the repair man, but he never showed. Once we finally did get someone to the house they charged us an additional $250. The problem is still not fixed and the home warranty company said it would cost another $60 to have someone come back. They do not care about fixing the problem. This company only wants your money. They never return calls and lie. This company only wants to take your money.

Hi Emily,

We are sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with our claims process. Please feel free to contact us at digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com or via Live Chat on our website with your full name, full-service address, current phone number and claim number. We would be more than happy to address your questions and concerns. Thank you and have a delightful day!

Original review: June 24, 2018

I was unhappy with American Home Shield and I decided to look into acquiring a different home warranty. Signing up with Home Warranty of America was alright, but it wasn't great. They had this person who came to my house and he wouldn’t take a check. He wanted cash and then wouldn’t wanna give me a receipt. So, I was unhappy with that. Also, some of the stuff that's supposed to be covered isn't covered. My furnace broke down in the wintertime and I had a hard time trying to get somebody to come out. When the contractor finally came, they had to come back several times. They said they put a new one. I saw the new casing, but everything else was not new. I ended up paying for something and it didn’t look the way it was supposed to look. Instead, it looked taped up.

Also, right after Home Warranty of America's contractor did my furnace, my air conditioner broke down. That's when they sent the guy who asked for cash. Overall, I wasn't happy with the people they sent over and the part that they asked for cash. I have to pay for almost everything. HWA's people are nice and the people I called were on time but they didn't really help me out.

Good Afternoon Elizabeth,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your personal experience with us. We are working diligently to improve processes within our company to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction.

Regarding payments, each vendor has their own payment methods for which they will accept. We advise speaking with the assigned vendor directly to inquire about acceptable payment methods.

In reference to the out of pocket expenses other than the trade call fee, there are instances when items or modifications are not covered by the warranty and at the expense of the homeowner. We do inform you of these expenses prior to moving forward with the claim, if they are accepted we proceed with the claim, if they are not accepted, we will then possibly offer a cashout amount for the claim.

Should you wish to discuss a specific claim or coverage, please feel free to contact us via Live Chat on our website, by phone or email. Thank you and have a delightful day!

Original review: June 24, 2018

I put in a service request with HWA 10 days ago as my washer stopped working. They sent their contractor onsite but after spending several hours he said that he could not do anything to fix it as he needed to order a new part. Here’s when the runaround began. The contractor company claimed they sent their diagnosis to HWA and HWA said they didn’t receive anything and could not provide the status. After several calls and asking to talk to a supervisor (the customer service seemed lost as to what to say, and had no idea how to find the status of the claim), still no response.

I followed all of the steps as outlined in their contractual agreement but this company seems not to care after they have collected an annual upfront fee and service call fee. I followed up with the email too and still waiting on the response. No one seem to know anything so am shocked how this company is still in business. I recommend looking elsewhere when you need home insurance. This company is the most dishonest I have ever dealt with!!!

Good Morning Victoria,

I appreciate you taking the time to provide your personal experience with us and apologize for the delay in having your claim resolved. We are working diligently to improve processes within our company to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction.

In reviewing your claim, there was a delay due to multiple request to change the vendor assigned to the claim. Also, the claim was stalled due to the missing serial and model number on the washing machine.

I noticed that you have emailed this requested information and spoken with our concierge department. Once this has been reviewed, we should be able to move forward with your claim.

We greatly appreciate your patience in this matter. Should you have further questions or concerns, please feel free to email, Live Chat on our website or contact us via phone. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 23, 2018

Home Warranty of America was part of the deal when we bought our home and we've been with them for five or six years now. I've called for a few claims and most of the time, speaking with their representatives has been good and I got callbacks. One time there was a delay, but it wasn't a bad experience. While some of the repairs have been fine for some simple things, the one for my air conditioning unit is the main issue that I worry about. I have not had a good experience with that as I don't think their contractors did the best job. My perception was that they were only willing to do the minimum amount. Also, with certain things like our pool, those are not covered and they're the big items.

Also, I've had other companies that came in and did my maintenance and evaluation. Those companies would say the things that are wrong with the air conditioner. But when I say that I'm trying to go to my home warranty, they would bring out somebody who has a different diagnosis. So, it's not clear and I don't know who to believe. While working with Home Warranty of America has been fine, I don't think they’re looking out for my best interest. I think they're doing the bare minimum.

Hi Ruth,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a rating based on your personal experience with our company. We definitely value you as a customer and strive to provide exceptional customer service at all times.

In reference to your service providers, HWA reviews and approves service providers nationwide. Unlike some home warranty companies, we have a dedicated Vendor Development Department that has created a database of thousands of service providers across all the markets we serve.

Should you wish to discuss specific coverages or claims, please feel free to reach out to us via email, phone or Live Chat on our website. Thank you and have a pleasant day!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: June 22, 2018

I submitted a claim for my broken HVAC on 06/12/2018. HWA confirmed they had received all the info required to handle my claim. I live West Texas and the temperatures reach 100 degree daily. I am in the hospital and just had open heart surgery. The hospital will not release me until I have confirmed all of my HVAC is working. I have spoke with an HWA employee named Kumar several times, not only is he not helpful, he has hung up on me during the middle of our phone calls. I have also spoken to a supervisor. She confirmed she has all the information required to get claim moving forward once she reviewed it. I have left multiple messages for her and as of 06/21/2018 I have no reply from anyone in the company.

Good Morning Blayne,

I wanted to apologize that your experience with us has been less than exceptional. We are working actively to improve processes within our company to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction.

In reviewing your claim, as of today, we have reached out to the vendor to speak with our replacements department. Once this has been done, we will be able to move forward with your claim.

We greatly appreciate your patience in this matter and hope your husband is recovering well. Should you need assistance or have additional questions and concerns, please feel free to reach out to us via Live Chat on our website or by phone. Thank you and have an amazing day!

Original review: June 21, 2018

I filed my claim on 6/11/18. I waited 2 days, because that was the time I was told I had to allow, for the contractor assigned to my claim to respond to me. He NEVER called or answered his phone. So I called HWA back and was told that they did not have another tech that would come to my area! So, because of THEIR inability to provide me with a technician that works within their plans, processes and prices, I have been forced into a buy-out situation. What's worse, I was not actually told it was a buy-out situation at first; rather, just that I could use my own provider. I was told I only had to have them call in with the information to get the claim authorized, pay out of pocket & await reimbursement. I thought, no big deal. I can do that. Was I educated quickly! NO AC Contractor wanted to take the job because they didn't want to deal with HWA due to past experiences.

So I searched and I begged. I FINALLY found a contractor that would try for me. He came out and diagnosed my system as needing replacement. The dual-run capacitor and the compressor have failed on an 11-year-old R22 system and he could not assess any of the rest of the system without the system running. The tech tried to call the authorization department for the better part of a day. He then called me and said he wouldn't keep trying. He had spent several times through the day waiting on hold in excess of 30 minutes and never received an answer. So I called and strenuously complained to the service rep. He could offer me NO ASSISTANCE. He even said to have my contractor call now, because he just tried and got through and it only took 2 minutes. Maybe they can get that quick response.

I called immediately myself and waited on hold for 35 minutes! The authorization person did take my contractor's cell phone # and stated he would call him right away. That was at 6pm. At 7:30pm, my contractor had still not received a call (and never did). Because I am a realtor, I have a sales rep that I contacted. She did manage to get the authorization desk and my tech together on the phone to get that part of the process done. That was Tuesday, the 19th. I had to wait yet again until yesterday afternoon to obtain approval for the repair. And not because I was called by HWA; but because I kept calling them. I have been patient. I have done THEIR job (finding the contractor, getting the calls made, etc).

And now, I am being offered a buy-out of $624.48 to replace my compressor, filter drier, and round cap!!! What about the dual-run capacitor? What about the modifications to replace the R22 compressor with the new refrigerant model??? Plus, there is no way for the tech to know if there are other failures without being able to run the compressor. Therefore, WHY would they insist on replacing parts on an 11-year-old unit and making modifications that will cost similar to a new unit??? And if they can replace a compressor for $624, I would be amazed. It will cost more like $1,500!

Original review: June 21, 2018

I'm a Realtor and also a Homeowner. I buy my clients their first year home warranty because I feel every homeowner should have coverage. I purchased my home in 2010 and bought Fidelity Home warranty and kept it for 8 years, I also used them for my clients. I was talked into moving over to HWA on March 24th when my year contract was due with Fidelity. I purchased the top coverage with HWA, When Summer hit and I turned on my ACs I have 2, they were not working right so I put in a claim.

First off the call center is in Mexico, second they say you're covered, then you're not unless you can prove your AC worked before and wanted my Home Inspection from 2010, are you kidding me! I proved I have had warranty with no lapse for 8 years. Bottom line is they refuse to pay the 2500 it cost to repair both units, they offered 1,000. I am paying for leaving Fidelity to go to HWA, Major mistake! For those that are looking for a Good Home Warranty, go to the BBB page and see all the complaints on HWA, I should have done that before buying the plan!

Original review: June 21, 2018

My daughter bought a condo in ATL and part of the sellers package was a home warranty with HWA. The high rise condo is about 12 years old and about 2 weeks in, the A/C failed. That is the best part of the story, believe it or not. HWA has been non-responsive to our pleas for replacement. They 1st assigned the task to a HVAC company that doesn't even operated in our area. The 2nd HVAC wouldn't take the job (hmmm?). The 3rd one after 10 days of no AC diagnosed the problem as a bad compressor on the unit and said it was an R-22, 12 yr old unit that needs to be replaced.

The HVAC submitted paperwork to HWA and nothing. HWA claimed they needed more info. What info? No detail. Our claim got elevated to a Level 3 by the President of HWA... good. Nothing, it means nothing. No action, just call customer service 2x a day, no supervisors on duty. Someone will contact you in 24-48 hours. Nope not once. AND every call, the CS has to review the file from the beginning... so frustrating. This is a text book example of how to provide ZERO customer service. HWA uses the BBB logo on their website. This is beyond poor service, this is negligence. Tell us what you need HWA? The AC is broken, it's 12 years old, it's an old system. No one there has any technical knowledge of HVAC systems? I know I am venting here, but I cannot help it. I will never use or recommend their service or products.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi, Michael. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. Our team would be happy to review the claim with the account holder to see how we may help. She may contact us by email at digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com with her full name, claim number, telephone number, and full property address for assistance. Thank you. -Adaline

Original review: June 20, 2018

My fridge stopped working sometime Saturday night and I discovered it Sunday morning. Submitted a claim online, at which point I was told a repairman couldn’t be located and I could find one on my own, pay for it, and wait 2-3 weeks to be reimbursed for eligible expenses. Ummm, I purchased warranty protection to avoid just that same thing. I called this morning to follow up and I was told they’d elevate the priority so that they could spend more money for the repair. Still waiting to hear something. I’ll continue to call daily, but at this point they either need to waive my deductible or allow me to break my contract AFTER they get my fridge fixed!

Original review: June 19, 2018

AC unit needs replacement. Placed service call 6/2, was notified for about 4th. time. Don't have vendor in area, as usual was informed could find my own then that vendor would have to deal with HWA which they will not do or they would be doing service work for them already. I insisted they find a vendor and on 6/6 B Smith came out, diagnosed and called into HWA. They informed him he would have to install their equipment which he would not do and was told they would have to find another vendor. I learned about this on 6/8 from B Smith. Nothing from HWA at all.

Got in touch with office of president and spoke to memo (**). He was not very helpful but they did find another vendor who had to come out 6/15 and replicate what first vendor confirmed. Faxed in claim to replacement dept (vendor authorization) 6/15. Have repeatedly reached out to claims and office of president and still have no replies or information regarding fix and options. LACK OF COMMUNICATION. Medical conditions affected by nonfix. Should not be allowed to sell policies in states they do not have vendors.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Pathetic and frustrating. My AC is not working for more than a week now. I have spoken with HWA for multiple times with several agents. Every time an agent attends my Claim (**) they ask for background again and again... they don't have any system to record call histories. They assign to providers, who never call. Agent Carlos promised that he will email the service provider's phone no. and never did. Agent Allan was clueless, he kept arguing that the claim recall has happened only 6 minutes back and I have to wait for the service provider ("Interservice Heating and Cooling") to call. Service provider doesn't take my call. IT'S A BIG MISTAKE OF SIGNING UP FOR HWA. Pathetic service and frustrating experience.

June-15th: Just to let HWA (Elle) know that the AC has stopped working again after one day of the claimed fix. I called twice to HWA from yesterday and they are not able to assign the recall to the provider. In this case the provider (CM Electric) is ready to come today but HWA is not able to assign. Elle, this weekend it's going to be 95+ hot. Are you taking the risk of kids/adults falling sick due to heat or you will still tell it's due to the peak season???

June 19th: I am being played between HWA and the vendor (CM Electric). When I called the provider yesterday morning they said they are waiting for HWA to approve parts and today when I called HWA they said they are waiting for vendor to complete diagnosis. This Claim ** is opened on May 17th and even after one month my AC is not working. This week our home is completely not livable. Is HWA waiting to see if we can survive this summer and give up on following up for our AC repair???

Original review: June 19, 2018

Never ever use this company! Buyer beware! They are so incompetent and constantly give you the runaround! Our AC went out not long after we moved into our home so we called and within a few days a technician came out to diagnose the problem and change the condenser. He was only here for about 15 minutes. He said it may take the night for it to get cool. Well it never got cool and he came back out and said it is the compressor now. So he ordered the part which took 7 business days to get the part in the mail. While we were waiting for the part I was trying to get it approved. So they told me I needed to send my home inspection to them which I did. Then when I would call back sometimes they didn’t have it in the system and sometimes they would.

They then told the AC technician they had not reviewed it. I called back to find out they did receive it and were just reviewing it. They told me 24-48 hours from the time they received my inspection that they would have an answer whether it was approved or not. It is now 4 days and they are still reviewing it. The initial claim was made on May 30th so we have been without AC in South Louisiana with 3 children for weeks. We will be seeking advice from our lawyer. I don’t know how they are even still open. They could care less every time I called which was basically every day to make sure they were working on it.

Home Warranty of America response
Hi, Lindsey. Thank you for taking time out of your day to leave us a review. I am sorry to hear you had a difficult time getting your concerns resolved. This is certainly not the type of experience we want to provide for our customers.I will forward your feedback regarding service to our management team for further review to ensure that we take a close look at how to improve our processes.

Additionally, I will be following up with you via private message for additional assistance regarding your claim. -Paige

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: June 18, 2018

My HVAC unit went out. I call the HWA and they told me they didn't have a contractor in the area but they would find one but it would take a couple of days. No problem right... I live in a small town. So 2 days later I receive a claim # and scheduled appointment. The day of my appointment the repairman didn't show up, for which I took off work and waited for. So I called HWA back. They told me to contact the vendor directly to find out why they didn't show up. So I did, the vendor said that they don't have a contract with his company and that HWA scheduled the appointment on their own and the vendor never agreed to do any repairs.

So I called HWA back, and they gave me another option... find my own vendor, and pay for repairs out of my own pocket... so why do I need a warranty? But to get reimbursed you have to the vendor call HWA to explain what need to be fixed. Then HWA will AUTHORIZE the repair. So now I have to get the repair company to call the warranty company who they have zero business dealings with in order to get the repair authorized, before I give the vendor the OK to repair my HVAC just so I can get reimbursed. After a week of back and forth I finally connect HWA and the repair vendor to get repair authorization.

I paid the vendor for the repair and e-mailed the invoice to HWA like I was suppose. They tell you it take 3-4 weeks for reimbursement WRONG!!! Apparently my paperwork got lost in the shuffle, two months I finally got my reimbursement check. So I missed 3 days of work (one for the missed appt, one for the actual appt, one for the repair date), my family was stuck without A/C for two weeks, and my reimbursement check was a month late. God forbid that my premium didn't get paid!! Needless to say I will not be renewing my policy with HWA. I will say the call center was very professional as I vented my frustrations with HWA policy although it was very little they could do.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I submitted a claim on May 31, 2018 about the AC wasn't working and they sent a Tech, the technician said that he will send the report (A1 Affordable). I called at the next day and they said that they doesn't have a report from A1. I called A1 and the tech said that he forgot but I have to wait until Monday, I called again to Home Warranty and they said that status is emergency. Today is 6/13/2018 and I'm still without AC but every time that I call they have different story. I ask for supervisor and they said that they can't transfer my call. I have a child and the temperature is more than 100 degrees. This situation is a nightmare. My claim is still in authorization department.

Updated on 06/20/2018: I submitted a claim on May 31 2018 and today is June 20 2018 and I'm still waiting. I have 21 days without AC and every time that I ask if somebody else can take care about my situation they said, "I can't transfer your call." Yesterday I called again and they said that they order the parts and it will take 6 days more.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi, Claudia. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We apologize for the frustration you have experienced during your AC claim. According to our records, we show that the part is ready and communication has been provided to the vendor. They should be contacting you shortly to schedule the repair appointment. Please let us know if there are any questions we may help with after the technician has visited your home. Thank you. -Paige

Original review: June 13, 2018

With the couple of calls I've had to use Home Warranty of America for, their providers were good and I didn't have any issue with them. I submit claims online and I've had no challenges there. I always get a response out of their reps which was different with our previous warranty company. HWA's contractors call within 24 hours.

Home Warranty of America response

Tracy, thank you for taking time to provide us with a great review! We look forward to continually providing you with excellent care. Enjoy your day! -Adaline

Original review: June 12, 2018

When we bought our house in 2016 the house had Home Warranty of America. We got the first year at no cost after the first year we decided to stay with HWA. In 2017 the air needed fixed the tech came out put gas in the AC we paid $100 he then charged us close to $300 for the gas. Which I have found out we shouldn’t have been charged for. This year our AC isn’t working again. We notified HWA on 5/8/2018. The tech came out, submitted for the part needed for repair. HWA says they have never received the info. The HVAC company has resubmitted several more times.

Now a new company has come out, just paid another $100, they will submit for the same part. I have called numerous times and I’m told the same story, they have never received an invoice from HVAC company. I explained my husband has COPD and is suffering trying to breathe without the AC. They said they put us on the urgent list. It’s been over a month now. I have almost had to take my husband to the ER because he was having difficulty breathing due to heat and humidity. Here we go again. Sure happy they put us on the urgent list.

Home Warranty of America response
Hi, Kathryn. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We definitely understand how upsetting a delay in the claim can be and apologize for the frustration this has caused for you and your family.

According to our records, we have authorization to proceed with the repair and have provided the non-covered costs to you. Once those are approved we will be able to send communication to the vendor to schedule the repair appointment. If you would like to discuss those costs further please feel free to reach out to our Live Chat team at www.hwahomewarranty.com for assistance. Thank you! -Elle

Original review: June 12, 2018

I posted a negative review this same time last year and never received any correspondence from the management team as I was told I would. I recently had another issue with my A/C unit (this time inside) and found out that when Home Warranty of America replaced my outside A/C unit in 06/2017, they downgraded my unit. I called last week to inquire about it and was told by the customer service representative that she had notified her supervisor and the supervisor would contact me. She also stated that she would follow up the next day and I never heard from either one of them! Seems like the only way to get anything handled through this company is getting my lawyer involved.

Home Warranty of America expert review by Michele Lerner

Home Warranty of America, Inc. (HWA) sells home warranties to protect owners from unexpected and expensive repairs. HWA was founded in 1996 and is headquartered in Illinois.

• Plan options: HWA offers multiple plan options so customers can choose the plan that offers the coverage they want. They have plans specifically designed for new homebuyers, existing home owners and home sellers.

• Coverage option tool: Interested consumers can visit the HWA website to see all the plan options. They can also use the coverage option tool to see how adding or removing certain types of coverage will affect their premium.

• GreenPlus: HWA’s GreenPlus option lets consumers add coverage that will replace a broken appliance or system with an Energy Star certified one. This coverage must be added on to plans for a small additional monthly fee.

• Older homes: HWA covers homes and appliances regardless of their age, and they do not require an inspection before coverage begins. As long as appliances and systems are in good working order on the policy effective date, they are covered for general wear and tear.

• Maintenance guides: HWA’s website features several home maintenance guides to help owners keep up with small but necessary tasks. The site also includes informational videos.

• Best for: first-time homebuyers, owners of older homes, home sellers and real estate professionals.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Home Warranty of America Company Information