4.04/5
Based on 603 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1996, Home Warranty of America has offered customers fast and easy solutions with excellent service. Our goal is to provide high value protection at a reasonable price.

Home Warranty of America specializes in home warranty plans, real estate, home sellers warranty, appliance warranty and home protections plans. Whether you are selling your home, buying a new one, or staying put we want you to save money and time. Let us help you succeed while providing the best protection. Call us today!

BBBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: May 25, 2018

1505 Home Warranty of America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 24, 2018

I’ve always had a home warranty but I was not happy with American Home Shield. So, I signed up with Home Warranty of America. It was easy and only took a few minutes. So far, I have filed claims with them over the phone and their reps have been fine. Everything was set up in five minutes and for the first two times, the contractors were here in two days. They came in, got the job done, and cleaned up if there was a mess. They were good and professional.

However, I filed a claim with them last year and the contractors haven't showed up yet until now. I told HWA about it and they told me how everybody was backed up. But my money wasn’t backed up, so I just fixed the problem myself. In the beginning, I found the HWA warranty valuable, but I figured that if I took the same money I paid them, put it in a savings account, and fixed something when it came up, I’d be doing the same thing. All in all, Home Warranty of America is not great, but they're better than American Home Shield.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 18, 2018

Have been trying for 3 weeks to get our air conditioner fixed. We keep getting bounced from one vendor to another. They went to send someone who already looked at it and isn't capable of a job this big. We keep getting promised return phone calls that never happen. They are offering a buy back but we can't wait 3 more weeks for this to be fixed. I have chronic illnesses that require me to have air conditioning but that is falling on deaf ears. Seems like HWA is dragging their feet to avoid paying for the repairs.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi, Justin. We regret to hear you have had a negative experience with our customer service. This is certainly not the type of experience we want to provide and I would be happy to review the claim if you still have questions or concerns. For assistance please email us with your claim number and telephone number at digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com. Thank you! -Elle

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 17, 2018

My AC stopped cooling last Friday. HWA was called and a part had to be ordered. It was not ordered until Monday. It’s now Thursday and still no part. It’s been 90 degrees in my house. No one in the service department can help me nor has offered me any sort of resolution. This is an emergent matter and I cannot get help. My AC would have been fixed on Monday if this company used the vendor's parts. But instead they want to save a few 100.00 so in return the customer has to suffer. I will not be renewing my contract with this company.

Home Warranty of America response

Jennifer, thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review. I certainly understand how inconvenient it can be to need home repairs and any delay in the resolution just adds to the frustration. We are working diligently to improve our processes and appreciate you taking the opportunity to provide your feedback as it helps us see where we may have opportunities to do better. If you have any additional unanswered questions or concerns, I would be happy to help. Please email us at digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com with the claim number and your best contact phone number for further assistance. -Adaline

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 12, 2018

HWA is a scam. They took our money and never fixed the furnace or the washing machine. After dozens of calls we've simply been blown off each time and neither appliance is functional- now going on 5 months. I do not believe that a single positive review is legitimate for this company on this site. I thought Consumer Affairs prevented fake reviews and that is very disappointing.

Home Warranty of America response

Lauren, thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. I apologize that you have had a poor experience and would like the opportunity to assist with getting any unanswered questions or concerns resolved. For further assistance please email us at digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com with the claim number, service address, and the best telephone contact number for you. I look forward to speaking with you soon! -Elle

Original review: May 11, 2018

Home Warranty of America provides coverage for roofing and it was fine signing up with them. But when it comes to claims, it’s difficult because a lot of times they don’t have vendors so I have to find a different vendor. There's a list for that. I then pay that vendor then Home Warranty of America reimburses me. And most of the time, it takes a long time to get reimbursed. The last time, it took a couple of months so that was a bit of inconvenience.

Home Warranty of America doesn't provide any support for the contractors that they recommend. In the case of my dryer, it was fixed by a contractor but the repair didn't last so I contacted the Home Warranty of America but they told me I had to contact the contractor. I did, waited almost six months for a part and I had to keep calling. I kinda wished it was one of the warranty company's contractors so they could be held accountable. I was left out in the open for that one.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 8, 2018

They will take your money and deny your claims. They will lie to you about disputing claims, and returning phone calls. The website lies about specializing in older homes and not needing inspections. I was without heat and hot water for over two weeks in the middle of the winter. I had to call them everyday, and they never found a vendor. Therefore, I was forced into a buyout situation leaving me with a $1500 bill that they are now denying. I have called everyday for two months. Every customer service person I have spoken with has PROMISED to email my dispute and call me back by the end of the day. THEY NEVER DO EITHER!!! Overall, they are a fraud and a scam! DO NOT BUY FROM HOME WARRANTY OF AMERICA!!!

Home Warranty of America response

Hi, Thomas. Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us with your feedback. I am sorry to hear you have had a poor interaction with our company as this is definitely not the type of experience we want to provide for our customers. I will forward your feedback regarding service to our management team for further review to ensure that we take a close look at how to improve our processes. If you have any additional questions or concerns I am happy to help. Please email us at digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com if I may be of assistance. Thank you! -Paige

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 7, 2018

The sellers provided a Home Warranty with HWA when I bought my house and this was when all the nightmare begun. After 1 month living on the house we figure that the AC system was not working, we call HWA around August 2017 and opened a claim to get our system fixed. After one day they sent a vendor that before to do any inspections he wanted to put more Freon on the systems (those guys are smart because they now that Freon is usually not covered by any Home Warranty plan and usually the homeowner needs to pay this type of service).

After this first vendor my problem was not solved and HWA sent a new vendor that reported to them that my cooling coil was not working properly and need to be replaced. Around September 2017 the second vendor did the repairs by replacing the cooling coil and the TXV metering device however as the temperature was cold outside they were not able to prove that the systems was working by that time and agreed to come back spring 2018 to test the system and replace any other item facing problem. The vendor stop by at my house this past weekend and they were not able to fix the problem and I still don't have my AC system working.

I called HWA one more time (should be the 15th attempt in one year) and now they said that will send another vendor (third one) to have a report from what's is going on with my system. I think HWA is trying to postpone the conclusion every time by sending new vendors that never fix my problem and only wants to refill the system with Freon and charge me separately for that. Definitely I would not recommend HWA for anybody, because they are really good to sell the home warranty. However are not good to fix the problems when it happens.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Leonardo! We regret to hear you have had a poor experience with your AC claim. I certainly understand how inconvenient it can be to need home repairs and any delay in the resolution just adds to the frustration. We are working diligently to improve our processes and appreciate you taking the opportunity to provide your feedback as it helps us see where we may have opportunities to do better. If you have any additional unanswered questions or concerns, I would be happy to help. Please email us at digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com for further assistance. -Adaline

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: May 3, 2018

Customer BEWARE... before purchasing warranty with this company. We've paid 4 $100 trip charges in short 18month period. Now we're at replacement - if you must replace, you will be given option 1/3 of the value of appliance or upgrade (you pay difference). We have top of the line Maytag Steam Clean, HWA offer is $459 or Amana dishwasher replacement. Not even close to being equivalent. No manager to talk to, no ability to transfer, over 4 calls all different associates. Now I'm being told "HWA is not responsible for upgrade or matching color or brand". A request for supervisor must be submitted and it takes 48-72 hours - No one in the entire company with authority can talk to you. "I want to help you, but our contracts are very specific that we do not replace with like for like or brand".

Original review: May 2, 2018

They give you a company's name. You call the point of contact company, they don't call you back on time and don't have any appointments sooner. Then again you need to call back the warranty company to get some other POC. Basically you are kind of a mediator between the warranty company and the POC. Very bad experience.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi, YA. We regret to hear you have had a poor experience when submitting claims. When you file a claim we do automatically send the information to the vendor for them to contact you directly and set up the earliest appointment time according to their current schedule. In the event that a vendor is unable to work a claim we can reassign to another company for a faster resolution. This allows us to get the repair completed as quickly as possible. If there are any additional questions regarding your contract or current claims please feel free to reach out to our Live Chat Team at www.hwahomewarranty.com for assistance. Enjoy your day! -Elle

Original review: May 2, 2018

Home Warranty of America is pretty efficient. It's going a year now that I've been with them. They send people who are qualified and up-to-date. But the last call that we made regarding an electric socket that lost power did not go so well because the guy who came was just able to fix what he was supposed to, but in the process, he did not check all of it to make sure that everything worked before he left. And so, we still don’t have a functioning bedroom light. But other than that, he was able to fix the outlet that did not have power. And since it was a $75 call, we didn’t know whether when we call back we would get charged for it then, or he was just gonna come out and finish up his job. But HWA is a good company. And failure for somebody to fix is not holistically attributed to the technician because my wife who was at the house at that time could also have checked and made sure before she released him that everything was okay.

Joseph,

We appreciate you taking the time out of your day to provide an exceptional rating based on your experience with us. We are working diligently to improve processes within our company to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction. Regarding persisting issues with claims, we do allow a 90 day window for claims to be recalled. Recalling a claim will result in claim being re-opened and sent back to the original vendor for them to return. Please feel free to reach out to one of our live chat agents at hwahomewarranty.com with your full contact information should you ever need our assistance. Thank you again and have an amazing day!

Original review: May 2, 2018

My real estate lady told me I was gonna get Home Warranty of America before I bought my house. We picked up the policy, but I'm not pleased with the people they sent here and their work. I've been having big problems. I pay them $75 for service fee and they sent AC Plumbing here the first time. The first thing they did was put faucets in my bathroom in the hallway because those faucets looked real cruddy, instead of them telling me that I can go and buy my own faucets. They also put a new faucet in the bathtub and you have to pull the bathtub faucet that they put on. I told them I'm partially handicapped and to adjust the water, it's only aligned with the red and align with the blue and I wasted more water trying to get the water adjusted.

The next time they were here, I told them I needed a water heater. They checked it and said that my water heater was about to go out so they had to order one and they put that in okay. Then they put a faucet in on the kitchen sink, but they didn’t put the glue around the faucet. I got up one morning and water was leaking in my kitchen. I was trying to figure out what the heck was going on. I called them and told them that I had a leak and that it was an emergency and I needed to get somebody here. I asked for the plumbing department and I told them I’m spending big money for the service but I wasn’t getting the service. I pay them $900 a year for my TVs, the septic and the sewer.

The people who answer the phone are very rude and have bad attitudes. They always tell me that I can't do something and that I got to use the people they have. There was a supervisor who answered the phone one day and helped me a lot. She said it was the call center that I was always calling to. I said that somebody needs to school those people. They have a bad attitude and it's not funny. I really tried not to call them. They got bad plumbers. I told them that I wasn’t pleased with all the junk they were putting in my house.

Now I'm gonna change the faucets in the kitchen and the Delta faucet in the bathroom had tarnished. This was how cheap the faucet was. I had to turn around and buy another faucet for the bathroom, for the face bowl and the bathtub. They should have had the one where I push my arm but this wouldn’t let me put in here. This is really lousy. I also said that this is not an apartment, this is my house and I want my house in the old way.

I am dissatisfied and I won't let them send anybody here. I'll use the man that I have and I'll just call and let them know. I'm getting ready to do an extension of my house but I'm not gonna put Home Warranty on that house because I'm really out. I just keep my man that I have. I have him come here, pay him the $75, and do what needs to be done and I'm seeing the difference. What's really getting me is that I'm paying people to do work and I'm not getting the service.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi, LaRue. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your honest feedback. We regret to hear you have had a poor experience and would be happy to help address any unanswered questions or concerns regarding your coverage and any claims. Please feel free to email us at digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com with the contract ID, telephone number, and full service address for assistance. Thank you. -Elle

Original review: May 1, 2018

I got to renew my Home Warranty of America policy, and the representative I worked with was fine. When submitting claims, I call the home warranty people and then they get a hold of the contractor and they set up an appointment. The contractors that HWA uses were good. I had an emergency service once, and they got out to me quickly.

Walter,

Thank you for leaving us this exceptional review based on your firsthand experiences with our company. We are pleased to hear that you are greatly satisfied with the level of customer service you have received and look forward to servicing all your future needs. Please don't hesitate to contact us by phone, email, social media or by live chat at hwahomewarranty.com should you need our assistance. Thanks again and have a wonderful rest of your day!

Original review: April 30, 2018

One of my friends told me about Home Warranty of America and my experience with them has been fairly well. When we file a claim, we usually do it online. The service people will then call us, schedule an appointment, come out and take care of it. We filed a claim today for a refrigerator and they called me within an hour to schedule the appointment. They told me to call the warranty back because they were not sure if it will be covered so I was just getting ready to call them. When I first got the warranty, I had some problems. I called a month after I had it about my washer and there was a waiting period in which I was two days too soon. But since then, I haven't had any issues and I would recommend them.

Casie,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your personal experience with us. We are working diligently to improve processes within our company to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction. Regarding the waiting period, coverage begins on the coverage Period start date, thirty days following initial payment and contract start date. should you have any questions or need our assistance, please feel free to reach out to one of our live chat agents at hwahomewarranty.com. Thank you for your review and I hope you have an enjoyable rest of your day!

Original review: April 30, 2018

I’ve had a few other home warranty companies and they were a little more specific whether it was in air-conditioning or something else. Home Warranty seemed to be common across a number of things around the home that would apply. Throughout the year, I've had numerous interactions with their reps and they all seem very helpful. Plus, they seemed to always be there when I phone and have an answer whether something is covered or not. My claims have been generally air-conditioning and plumbing related and I'm happy to have the repairs done. In my case, we are owners living outside the country for the better part of the year and it’s always good to have some industries available that will come and tend to a repair when needed.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Evening Don, Thank you for leaving us your feedback regarding your Home Warranty with us. We are glad to hear that throughout the multiple occasions when using your Home Warranty with us you have receive helpful and insightful assistance from all HWA Representatives. We are happy to hear that your Home Warranty has allowed for you to have a peace of mind if any issues with your covered systems or appliances arise in your home especially if you are out of the country. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us such as through our live Digital Chat platform which can be located on our Website Monday-Friday (8am-5pm) (CST). Thank you, we hope you have a wonderful week!

Original review: April 29, 2018

I have had Home Warranty of America for about six years. However, I’m not really happy with them. They’re very slow to respond. We’ve had several claims, nothing major. And then, they get here really slow. Their service is lacking and if it is not for inertia, I probably would have changed. It seems like when they should be replacing the unit, they try to fix it and then it breaks again and they fix it again. We have our tenants starting to make the repairs because they don’t want to wait for the company.

Haldis,

Thank you for your feedback as it is deeply appreciated and is imperative to our continued goal of excellent customer satisfaction. Pertaining to your concern on reoccurring system failures, HWA does have the sole right to determine whether any Covered Systems and Components will be repaired or replaced. We take into consideration the tech's diagnosis and their recommendation for repair when making this decision. If this was not thoroughly discussed with you, I do apologize for any inconvenience. Please don't hesitate to contact us by phone, email, social media or by live chat at hwahomewarranty.com should you have any additional questions or concerns. Have a great rest of your day!

Original review: April 29, 2018

We’ve had good experiences with Home Warranty of America. We've submitted claims on the phone and everything has been great. The representatives are always really nice and helpful. Home Warranty of America should keep doing what they’re doing.

Laquita,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this great review! We are proud to be your trusted home warranty provider and to give you a little peace of mind when it comes to your repair needs. Please don't hesitate to contact us by phone, email, social media or by live chat at hwahomewarranty.com should you need our assistance. Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

Original review: April 28, 2018

When we bought the house, the realtor that we use, Kenneth in Houston, Texas recommended Home Warranty of America. The house was eight years old and we figured that it’d be better to have the warranty in case appliances break. So, as a precaution, we got it and signing up was very easy. I did it on the computer and it was a very simple process. I've had Home Warranty of America now for six and a half years and I usually submit my claims online. I'm the primary caregiver for my elderly mother who lives here in Virginia and it's easier to grab the computer.

Recently they assigned a plumber to come and repair a running toilet, and he was in and out in about 10 minutes. The repair made the water bill lower because there was a very slight drip inside of the toilet, but it was constant and so the water bill was higher because of that. We are pleased and we plan to renew the warranty again in October. I would recommend it to my sister and brother-in-law. They have American Home Shield and they’ve had a couple of issues with them, so I told them that we've never had any issues with Home Warranty of America.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi, Linde! We truly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback! Don't forget that we have a dedicated Social Media Team via Facebook and Twitter should you need help with questions in the future! Enjoy your day! -Elle

Original review: April 27, 2018

My daughter who is in real estate recommended Home Warranty of America and I've had them for three years now. I'm happy with their customer service. Their reps are very accommodating. In the last couple of problems that I had, they were very quick and prompt, and I got my repairs done right away. I submitted claims for a refrigerator and for plumbing this year. I just called and their reps took the information down then got me the vendor. The refrigerator people were very good. The plumber was from VR Plumbing and I ask for him all the time because he knows my house. Home Warranty of America also approved whatever needed to be done and that was fine with me. There was no hassle. I’ve recommended them to several people, but because they’re not exactly cheap, not everybody could afford it. The one I have is $2,000 a month, although it's worth it given the cost of repairs and that I have a very large home. It's a peace of mind.

Home Warranty of America response

Thank you so much for leaving us a great review, Ruth! We are pleased to hear you are enjoying your service with us and we look forward to continuing to service your needs in the future. I hope you have a wonderful day! -Paige

Original review: April 27, 2018

I’m a first-time home buyer and signing up with Home Warranty of America's coverage was very easy. I liked their prices and coverage. Their representatives were very friendly and professional. And overall, HWA is very reasonable on the pricing, their information is easy to find on their website, and they offer a variety of coverage.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi, Alice! We truly appreciate you taking the time out of your day to provide us with your feedback! We are pleased to hear you have seen the benefits of having a home warranty with us and we look forward to servicing your home repair needs in the future! I hope you have a great day! -Paige

Original review: April 26, 2018

Filing a claim with Home Warranty of America is easy. I do it over the phone and the reps have been very nice. The technicians have been nice as well. I’d recommend Home Warranty of America.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi, Sarah! Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback! We strive to provide a great customer service experience at all times and are happy to see that it shows! I hope you have a wonderful day! -Paige

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: April 25, 2018

I wish I could give ZERO stars because this company does not deserve even one star. I paid $865 for an upgraded "Diamond" policy, sold to us by our mortgage loan officer when we recently bought a house. I made a claim eight months into the policy, when my refrigerator had cooling issues on March 12, 2018. It took three weeks to get the repair person and the company to decide that my refrigerator was not fixable on April 2, 2018. Days later, HWA offered a buyout that was $400 short from a comparable refrigerator (our is a Maytag 36 wide, 25 cubic ft). I also paid for an Energy Star upgrade on the policy which the buy-out did not reflect.

When we declined the offer, the cat-and-mouse game started. First they offered a very cheap replacement refrigerator without the Energy Star upgrade. We did not accept it. Then they told us to pick a model off the Whirlpool website. We had to wait several days to get an answer -- which was that it was backordered for a month. I lost count on how many refrigerators we picked, only for them to tell us it was backordered for a month. We even gave them an additional $240 to just end the game and get an "upgraded" fridge, and they STILL told us it was backordered a month -- AFTER they took our money! At the six week point, we took the buyout ($400 too low) just to end it. The best part? It will be another four weeks to get the buyout check AND a check to refund our $240 that they never returned!

Original review: April 25, 2018

I had somebody else when I first bought my house and then I got information on Home Warranty of America. The mortgage company switched over to them and I accepted it. The monthly price is reasonable and I like plan. I signed up online and I had no problem. My experience has been pleasant overall.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi Vivica, thank you for taking the time to leave your experience that you have gone through with using your Home Warranty with us. We are glad to hear that the online sign up was hassle free for you to assist in getting the contract created to better protect your home. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us if there is anything we can ever assist with in the future. We hope you have a wonderful week!

Original review: April 25, 2018

When I purchased the house, Home Warranty of America was part of the package. I just kept and renewed it because it was easier than trying to look for another company. Their customer service was great. Everybody has been helpful and understanding. They were also quick to get on things. In filing a claim, you could just go online or call them, then give a brief rundown of what’s going on and they'd have somebody call you to set up and then someone would show up.

I’ve claimed on my furnace a couple of times for a few minor things. I was not a fan of the person who came but I didn’t have a choice in the matter. There was something about him that just rub me the wrong way. For one, he was not overly friendly and that was kind of a big thing. He also threatened to pull my warranty because of the furnace not being clean enough, so I wasn't really happy. I let Home Warranty of America know about this by sending an email and for the feedback but there was no response. The same guy ended up coming to my house again and he was really rude this time more so than the first time, because I think my feedback got to him. But other than that, what I have experienced so far has been good. I would still recommend Home Warranty of America.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi, Shelley! Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback! I am sorry you have had a poor experience with the technician that was sent to your home. I would like to ensure that this is addressed for you. Please email us at dedigitalcare@directenergy.com with your claim number, telephone number, and full service address so that I may help. I look forward to speaking with you soon! -Paige

Original review: April 24, 2018

I bought a house during winter and there was snow on the roof, so it was important that I have roof coverage and Home Warranty of America provides that. Signing up with them was relatively easy. Right when we moved in, I submitted a claim as my pilot light went out on my water heater. I talked to somebody over the phone and it was not that difficult to work with them. I had never submitted a house claim before so that whole experience was new, but Home Warranty of America has been good. Their payment plans are also simple and handled online. This warranty is one of those necessary evils which you really need.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi, Scott! Thank you for taking the time out of your day to provide us with a review! We definitely understand how important it is to have a the security of a home warranty and are happy to offer convenient options like paying and filing a claim online! Please feel free to reach out to our Social Media Team via Facebook or Twitter should you have questions about the coverage in the future. Enjoy your day! -Paige

Original review: April 23, 2018

I’m happy with the services that Home Warranty of America provides. The person we bought our house from already had them and we've liked it in each and everything. We also did some research and we found it to be good so we just kept it. Renewing for the service was easy too. A couple of my friends have asked me what warranty I have and I told them that I have Home Warranty of America. Some of them find it expensive but I say it’s worth it because I have an older house so if something breaks, it’s much easier for me to call somebody from Home Warranty of America compared to me going around looking for somebody on my own.

We submit claims online and I once needed somebody to come over to repair certain things but I wanted some other person who wasn’t in the network. Home Warranty of America immediately said okay. There was no problem and they were very accommodating and helpful. The contractors we've had also came when they were supposed to be there. There was never a delay and they never canceled. They were very professional.

Shiuti,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a wonderful rating based on your experience with our company. We certainly value you as a customer and look forward to servicing your future needs. Feel free to contact one of our live chat agents at hwahomewarranty.com should you have any questions or need our assistance. Thank you and have a delightful day!

Original review: April 23, 2018

My experience with Home Warranty of America has been fine. It was easy to sign up with them and also to submit a claim for service. When we make a claim, we call them 'cause it's usually emergent that we need to book the other way. Dealing with their representative had been awesome and their technician's service has been very good as well.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi, Karla! Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with an excellent review! We pride ourselves in providing excellent customer service and are pleased to hear you have had a great experience with both our agents and contracted technicians! I hope you have a wonderful day! -Elle

Original review: April 22, 2018

Home Warranty of America gave me the best deal for my money. Signing up has been fine and there have been no problems. The sales rep was nice. Also, our experience submitting the claim was nice. I submitted the claim then the guy came to fix my issue. I filed several claims and some techs came out the next day, while some came two days later. Other than that, it's all been good so far.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon Richard! We are happy that we were able to offer a great deal to you when you were shopping around for a Home Warranty. We are always glad to hear when it is hassle free in filing any needed claims with the contracted Home Warranty. Thank you for letting us know you have been provided consistently great service in getting each of them resolved with us. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us in the future if there is ever anything we can further assist with. We hope your Home warranty continues to provide great service too you for your home. Have a great day!

Original review: April 21, 2018

Our realtor recommended Home Warranty of America and I've had them since I bought the house. Signing up was wonderful but putting a claim in lately has been terrible. They're outsourcing it now so I'm getting someone in some other country and it's a lot harder. It used to be that I could just call then I would get someone and they'd give me my claim number and who's gonna call me. That was it. The other day, it took me 25 minutes to do a plumbing claim because the rep couldn't understand me and I couldn't understand her. It was very frustrating. I tried to get a hold of Home Warranty to talk to them about this and they won't give me the phone number of the corporate office. But the only problem is outsourcing and trying to get my claim done in a timely manner. Otherwise, the people they sent were great and my toilet problem has been fixed.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi, Pat. We regret to hear you have had a negative experience with our customer service. This is certainly not the type of experience we want to provide. I will certainly get this forwarded to our management team for further review. Don't forget we have a Live Chat team at www.hwahomewarranty.com who is happy to assist in filing the claim for you as well! Please feel free to reach out if we may help with questions in the future! -Elle

Original review: April 21, 2018

I like the idea of having an insurance. Once the vendors come out and they have all been great. However, the policy is not exactly what I thought it would be. I called several times and Home Warranty of America set me up with a vendor that was 55 miles away. That vendor called me and said that they don’t come to Jerome so I should find somebody else. I called back Home Warranty of America and told them that the vendor would not come to Jerome because it was too far away.

The majority of the time, however, Home Warranty of America would tell me that they don’t have a vendor, so I had to find it myself and pay for it and then they would reimburse me. When they suggested that to me, that was when I started getting snippity. I refused to pay the vendor out of my pocket and then have them reimburse me. That is not the way it works. I want them to find the vendor, set it up and have them come and fix it. That is what my premiums were for. When the spring on my garage door snapped, they told me that they didn’t have a vendor. I told them to call Overhead Doors in Twin Falls. They need to find some vendor in either Twin Falls which is less than 10 miles away or the actual city that I live in. And I always give them whatever information I may have like when I called 10 minutes ago.

Home Warranty of America response

Elizabeth, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We certainly understand how frustrating it can be to need home repairs and we work hard to make sure to get them resolved as quickly as possible. At times, depending on the issue, there may not be a contracted vendor in your area which is why we offer the option to find your own vendor. If there are any additional questions please feel free to reach out to our Social Media Team via Facebook or Twitter for assistance. Enjoy your day! -Paige

Original review: April 20, 2018

Getting a home warranty sounded like a good deal and the agent that sold me the house fixed the service up with Home Warranty of America when she made the contract. I've submitted several claims to them. They replaced our washing machine, clothes washer and I'm not happy with it at all. We also had an icemaker on the door that didn’t disperse the ice. It was still under the manufacturer's warranty and the technicians came out several times trying to fix it. Then they said that it was a piece of junk and they cannot fix it. They never did anything about it. It is still not working, and it was a brand new double-door refrigerator when we moved in here. I called Home Warranty too, but they did not do anything either. Other than that, everything else is satisfactory. They are prompt and great about getting someone out to repair or check to see what is wrong.

Home Warranty of America response

Vernell, thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback. I apologize that you have had some frustrations regarding the coverage and would like the opportunity to assist with getting any unanswered questions or concerns resolved. For further assistance please email us at digitalcare@hwahomewarranty.com with the contract ID, service address, and the best telephone contact number for you. I look forward to speaking with you soon! -Elle

Home Warranty of America expert review by Michele Lerner

Home Warranty of America, Inc. (HWA) sells home warranties to protect owners from unexpected and expensive repairs. HWA was founded in 1996 and is headquartered in Illinois.

• Plan options: HWA offers multiple plan options so customers can choose the plan that offers the coverage they want. They have plans specifically designed for new homebuyers, existing home owners and home sellers.

• Coverage option tool: Interested consumers can visit the HWA website to see all the plan options. They can also use the coverage option tool to see how adding or removing certain types of coverage will affect their premium.

• GreenPlus: HWA’s GreenPlus option lets consumers add coverage that will replace a broken appliance or system with an Energy Star certified one. This coverage must be added on to plans for a small additional monthly fee.

• Older homes: HWA covers homes and appliances regardless of their age, and they do not require an inspection before coverage begins. As long as appliances and systems are in good working order on the policy effective date, they are covered for general wear and tear.

• Maintenance guides: HWA’s website features several home maintenance guides to help owners keep up with small but necessary tasks. The site also includes informational videos.

• Best for: first-time homebuyers, owners of older homes, home sellers and real estate professionals.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Home Warranty of America Company Information