2.9/5 (319 ratings)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About Home Warranty of America

Home Warranty of America Inc. offers warranty plans that protect you from the high cost of unexpected repair bills. The company also provides quick repairs from its network of qualified service technicians. You can choose from one of Home Warranty of America’s two plans that cover more than 20 systems to find a solution that works best for you.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• High coverage limits
    • Nationwide coverage
    • ENERGY STAR appliance upgrades

Cons

• Scheduling wait time

Bottom Line

Home Warranty of America provides advanced coverage options at reasonable rates. While it can take up to 48 hours to schedule a service, benefits like ENERGY STAR-certified appliance upgrades really set the company apart.

Top Home Warranty of America Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Submitting a claim to HWA is very simple and easy. Everybody has been professional, and they usually give a time when the contractor will contact us. I’m very satisfied with them....

Verified

I just call them and they send quality people out, and they take care of it. The techs don't give up. They keep going until they get the thing fixed, and that's greatly appreciate...

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Home Warranty of America plans

Home Warranty of America has been protecting homeowners, buyers and sellers for decades. The company has multiple coverage options to let you choose what best suits your needs. Home Warranty of America offers warranties in all 50 states and has a network of service professionals. For existing homeowners, Home Warranty of America offers two levels of coverage.

Premier: The Premier plan is the most affordable plan for existing homeowners. It covers more than 20 major household systems and appliances, and you can add coverage for individual items such as well pumps, stand-alone refrigerators and more.

Premier Plus: The Premier Plus plan covers all major systems and appliances, including air conditioning (which isn’t covered by Premier). It includes the company’s Premium Coverage option, which adds 25 additional items, such as plumbing fixtures and toilet replacement.

Both of these plans have 13-month warranty periods. You can also add GreenPlus, which qualifies you to replace old appliances with energy-efficient models, and OrangePlus, which covers additional components and services, including water softeners and re-keying services.

Home Warranty of America also has home warranty plans for those buying or selling a home. Under these plans, coverage options may vary by state. The company offers 13-month coverage contracts in its Gold, Platinum and Diamond Plans with optional sellers’ and buyers’ coverages. These plans can only be purchased by a real estate agent.

Home Warranty of America cost

The price range of Home Warranty of America’s plans is $43 per month to $55.31 per month. Costs vary based on the trade call service fee option chosen ($75 or $100) as well as any add-on protections.

Home Warranty of America provides 13-month terms — most other home warranty companies only have 12-month contracts. The higher of its two service call fee options is on the pricier side at $100, but it's not out of the average range for the industry, which is $60 to $125.

Home Warranty of America coverage

The Premier plan provides protection for the following items:

• Built-in microwaves
    • Washers/dryers
    • Water heaters
    • Whirlpool bathtubs
    • Air conditioning

The Premier Plus plan is the more comprehensive choice for existing homeowners to consider. The plan covers everything included in the Premier Plan plus additional items, including increased protection for toilet replacement, plumbing fixtures, faucets and showerheads.

Optional add-on coverage is available at an extra cost for the following items:

ItemCost per month
    Pool/spa combos and saltwater pools$11.54
    Roof leak repair and septic tank pumping$3.85
    Second refrigerator/stand-alone freezer$2.69
    SEER/R-410A modifications$5.77
    Septic system$3.86
    Well pump$6.54

Home Warranty of America also offers two add-on packages, both for $5.77 per month.

The GreenPlus add-on includes coverage to upgrade appliance replacements with ENERGY STAR-qualified products. This includes dishwashers, refrigerators, clothes washers, heating system replacement and water heaters.

The OrangePlus add-on includes coverage for water softeners and re-keying services, provides for the removal of defective equipment at no extra charge and increases coverage limits for the following items:

• Code violations/permits up to $250
    • Professional-series appliances up to $2,000
    • Toilet replacement up to $600

Home Warranty of America coverage exclusions

In some instances, there are parts of otherwise covered items that will be excluded from coverage. It’s important to read your contract to fully understand what coverage for each item truly entails.

Home Warranty of America does specify some coverage exclusions, which is typical for all home warranty service plans. Often, parts that are not essential to the item performing its core function may be excluded. For example, dishwashers are covered by both of HWA’s plans, but racks, baskets, rollers and door seals are not covered. Similarly, the electrical system coverage won’t cover items like fixtures.

You can find a full list of exclusions on Home Warranty of America's sample contract.

Home Warranty of America coverage limits

Home Warranty of America’s coverage limits per term are no more than $5,000 per covered item or $15,000 total per contract term. None of its plans cover preexisting conditions, which is standard in the industry.

Specific coverage limits and maximum payouts depend on the appliance or system in need of repair or replacement — these are outlined in the chart below.

ItemHome Warranty of America’s coverage limit
    Electrical or plumbing rust and corrosion$2,000
    Heating systems, tankless water heaters, well pumps and saltwater pool equipment$1,500
    In-ground pool and spa equipment, water heaters and stand-alone ice makers or freezers$1,000
    Ductwork and plumbing systems$1,000 for inaccessible items
    Roof leak repair, septic systems, toilets and water softeners$500
    Burglar and fire alarm systems, ceiling and exhaust fans and central vacuums$400
    Refrigerant$10/pound

Home Warranty of America claims

Claims can be submitted online or through the company’s toll-free number 24/7, including holidays. Emergency services can be rushed at HWA’s discretion. Someone over the age of 18 must be present in the home during the repair.

To request service from Home Warranty of America:

1. Submit a claim online or over the phone as soon as an issue is discovered.
    2. HWA will contact an authorized technician within 48 hours to schedule your requested repair.
    3. Pay the service call fee ($75 or $100, depending on your plan).

Should the repair fail or the same issue reoccur within the service recall period (90 days on parts and 30 days on labor), HWA will send a technician to complete new repairs without charging you a service fee or any other additional costs.

Frequently asked questions

What is Home Warranty of America’s premium coverage option?
    Premium coverage expands your standard coverage to include protection for equipment and parts that aren’t standard to home warranty contracts, including fixtures and accessories like showerheads or dishwasher racks. The plan option covers more than 30 items.
    What is Home Warranty of America’s cancellation policy?
    You can cancel your contract at any time, but you need to cancel within 30 days to receive a full refund. If you cancel after 30 days, you’ll need to pay a cancellation fee of $30 or 10% of the contract fee, whichever is less. Overall, we’ve seen far higher cancellation fees among other companies.
    Is a home inspection required by Home Warranty of America?
    No inspection is required, and the company states you will not be denied coverage based on the age of your home, systems or appliances.

Is Home Warranty of America a good company?

Home Warranty of America has several aspects that stand out and make it a good option for homeowners looking for coverage for their systems and appliances.

The company’s Premier and Premier Plus plans offer substantial coverage for homeowners. Our favorite features include the Premier Protection plan, which adds coverage for parts like fixtures and appliance accessories. This coverage is not common to home warranty service plans, and it’s an affordable add-on that increases the value of your contract. Additionally, the GreenPlus and OrangePlus add-ons make Home Warranty of America an inclusive provider.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I usually tell Home Warranty of America there's an issue and they give me a claim number. A vendor will follow up with me and take care of the issue within the same week. Home Warranty of America saved us a lot of money and I don't see us ever not having a warranty since we've had to file a lot of claims since we moved in our house.

But there was one thing I was a little confused about. We had one little situation where I misunderstand the contract. Our toilet upstairs was running water and it seeped into the ceiling downstairs. It sounded like Home Warranty covered the toilet but they didn't cover the damage from the drywall. They said that they worked something out and covered a partial so I didn't have to pay the full amount. But they weren't very clear if I had a drywall issue related to an appliance breaking down like the toilet.

I also need to read the contract a little bit more to understand what Home Warranty covers. The light bulb in our refrigerator exploded or burnt out then it froze. Now, it melted within the fridge. The refrigerator is pitch black. But we can’t fix that because the refrigerator technically still works. Another thing is we have the sewer coverage and there's a separate number for it. It’s part of the home warranty but the way the home warranty handles a claim is a little bit different. I was having an issue updating my credit card and I tried to call the home warranty number. I was told I had to call the sewer number. I called them and was told I had to get back to the home warranty.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

Overall, requesting service with HWA isn't difficult. They ask you many questions about your contract, your name, your cell phone, your address to verify. Then, after that, they just call whatever company will do the fix and it works very well. But then, I tried to get pricing for my second house and they didn't really follow up. Maybe they could offer a better deal if you have one house versus two houses or three houses versus two, like a multiple-house policy.

Also, the policy is difficult. I took a look at the information and it's very difficult to understand what is the value of the different plans they have. Some of them include air conditioning, don’t include air conditioning. It is very difficult to see why that is the price difference, price increase, or price decrease. There are a lot of conditions that you have to read in order to understand what is covered. That's also very painful. They cover plumbing, electricity, but the list of exclusions is unbelievable. You have to be a lawyer to understand what is covered. More clarity on the plans and the benefits of each plan would be helpful. But other than that, it works fine.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 28, 2021

We're having an issue with our current claim with Home Warranty of America and it's a frustrating situation. We've had good experience otherwise. But we haven't had a working stove since June and the company that Home Warranty set us up with keeps canceling and rescheduling. Randomly, our claim for the stove was canceled without our direction to cancel it. So, we now got a quote from the company that's supposed to come and look at our stove that won't come again till the end of this month. HWA is not attempting to find an alternate company. They only set us up with the one company.

We haven't been able to cook a whole lot and we had to buy an external little cooking top so we can do anything on it. I've been meaning to call HWA but we're going in circles. So, I haven't had the energy to deal with it. I Googled and I found somebody that could potentially fix it, and HWA only had one resource. So, this is frustrating. But other than that, it's been positive.

Home Warranty of America response

Good afternoon Heidi. We regret to hear you are having an unpleasant experience with your stove claim. We attempted to contact you via private message requesting further details to take a closer look at your case over 11 days ago without any response. If the claim is still open or we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. Our online team would be more than glad to aid you. Looking forward to speaking with you. Sincerely, - Mateo/The Digital Care Team.

Original review: July 20, 2021

Ever since Home Warranty of America transitioned to a new system, they've been having a lot of issues with scheduling a technician. We have multiple contracts with them and when we call, I tell them to not send a technician to the house in another state because I'm assuming the person on the lines is not from the US. I used to be able to log in and submit a claim online. But now, since they got a new system, I'm not able to log in because they screwed something up with the email system. So when I log in, I could only see one property address and not the other three properties. I called to complain about it but it never got solved. They wanted me to use another email address to solve the issue. But that's just silly. The email address that I'm trying to use never worked. So I’ve never been able to successfully log in even with the other email account to put in the claim. So I have to call every time now.

I really like some of the people that Home Warranty of American sends out. There’s an older gentleman that usually comes out and if I see his name or company right away assigned, then I know he’s gonna do a good job. But sometimes, if the claim gets assigned to someone that I haven't used before, I'm a little leery on it. So as soon as Home Warranty assigns my claim, I go to sites to check on reviews. If the contractor has really poor reviews, I ask Home Warranty to reassign my claim to someone else in their database. You don't get to pick the contractor. But I have a few people that they called out that I would rather assign my tickets to because they do things right. But overall, my experience with Home Warranty has been fair and solid.

Original review: July 5, 2021

Over a year and a half, I haven't been able to file claims online through Home Warranty of America's portal system. It always has to be through customer service, so it's pretty inconvenient. Why have a website if it's not gonna work? I've mentioned this to them a few times, and it was always like, “Oh, I'm gonna send an email. We'll figure it out.” But there's never a follow up. My only care is that the claim gets through. So, after that, I don't care. But once I'm ready to file another claim, then I can't do it through the computer. I just keep calling through.

Other than that, every time I've called, I've always had a great time except for this latest time that I filed a claim. The claim prior to this was for the dishwasher. We had the top racks and the bottom wheels that needed to be replaced. So, we filed a claim back in April with this certain vendor, Local Home Appliance. The tech has already been out here before, and we didn't have an issue with him. Everything was fine. But this time around, he said, “Oh, the parts are kind of on a backorder. So, it might be a couple of weeks.” Then, it ended up being almost two months of a wait time, which was completely inconvenient because we were washing dishes by hand. What's the point of having a dishwasher if you're not gonna be able to use it?

This time around, the dishwasher’s having a leak. So, I called to file a claim. Home Warranty of America knows of my experience with Local Home Appliance. I kept saying, “I don't wanna work with this vendor again. How do we solve that issue, so when I filed another claim, that I don't have that same vendor?” They said, “Well, then you just request another one.” So, I filed a new claim for this dishwasher that has the leak. Their customer service rep was very adamant that their policy supersedes anything and whatever they say. So, I said, “So, you're giving me just two options, either I cancel my home warranty, or I have this vendor that I don't want in my house come over.” And he said, “No, I'm not saying that you have to cancel, but I'm telling you that I can’t get you another vendor.”

That same day, I was ready to cancel and I do have two policies with Home Warranty of America. I have it on rental property and the house that I live in. The one that I needed service one was for the house that I live at. I was ready to just cancel both of them. I spoke to their retention team. They said, “Absolutely, you can request another vendor. And we don't even need to know the reason why. That's totally your prerogative,” which was great. The person that I spoke to was great. I didn't cancel, and they’re working it out. The vendor came out and they said that we need a new pump. He’s gonna order the parts. He said he'd have it in a couple days. I haven't heard since. But so far, so good.

Original review: June 9, 2022

This company is a call-center based sham. We signed up with them to be a provider of services. We did 15k+ in work and we have yet to see a single payment to us. Vendor/Provider support is non-existent. The only method of support is sending a message in their website. They then respond with a text messages. The responses often are not helpful, contain incorrect information, and are flat out rude. It doesn't matter if HWA issues you an authorization code to do the job - they won't always honor it.

We spent over 1k$ in parts for a job we were approved for. We completed the work at 10am. At 2pm of the same day they "re-assigned" the job to another provider. We have spent weeks trying to get support as their system will not allow us to invoice for the work we completed. We were assigned the job, we were given an authorization code. We did the approved work - and HWA skipped out on paying us. We now have almost a $3k loss on one job because HWA is a con and is not to be trusted.

Original review: June 7, 2022

I searched once for car warranty. I didn't want the way overpriced products. I was then sent offer from you for home warranty. I am an apartment renter all maintenance provided. I won't purchase any of your likely overpriced junk product ever stop trying to sell someone without a house a warranty for one. Is foolishness.

Original review: May 29, 2022

Good afternoon everyone. Hope all are doing well. Just wanted to share my experience with HWA/Choice Warranty. They are utterly worthless. Must be nice, for them, to have a Warranty Contract with a neat little clause (that they do not tell you about) that lets THEM offer you very little money as a Buy Out rather than actually Repairing or Replacing anything. Their Warranty is not worth the Paper it is Printed On. I highly recommend staying away from HWA/Choice. I actually thought with a "Warranty" if something went wrong they would either Repair or Replace the defective Appliance. Apparently I (as well as NUMEROUS others) were mistaken. Instead they offer you a "Buy Out" for little to no money and you get to deal with it, paying for most (around 70% in my case) yourself.

The Dishwasher at our house failed, it will not turn on. Contacted HWA. They sent somebody out, which cost $75 (but I was aware of that). When "their contractor" tried to contact HWA to get Authorization to order parts, the phone system indicated that the authorization department was "Closed" due to Covid and it hung up on him. He called back and tried to go through regular Support but no go there either. That was a week ago last Wed. On Friday I get an Email from HWA indicating they decide that the Dishwasher should be Replaced, but rather than "them" getting it Replaced they wanted to Offer me a "Buy Out". I literally LAUGHED when I saw the "Offer", $246. I thought it was some kind of Joke, but guess the joke was on me because that was apparently the ONLY Option I had. The Offer screen had an option to be Contacted so I chose that thinking there had to be some other option.

Brittany ** was the Case Manager that was assigned. Brittany Emailed and I replied back that same day. Again, that was on "Friday". Had not heard anything until today, so I jumped into the Claim and Submitted a simple comment that I had not been contacted since my last email on Friday. Brittany did call me today, but (though I was pissed and definitely not in a good mood at that point) was pretty much worthless other than telling me that the "Buy Out" was a Option that was in the Contract and the amount they indicated was the amount. That the "Buy Out" was not meant to purchase a Replacement, or apparently even cover the installation, of a Replacement Appliance.

What the heck good is a "Warranty" if it does not cover the Items? And not sure why they even offer "Request Contact" on the Offer Page, when they do nothing but "explain" that is what their Contract Says and that is that. The Previous Owners really should have saved their money and stayed away from HWA/Choice.

I am sending this to mainly let you know to avoid HWA/Choice like the Plague, they got their money and now just don't care about the actual customer, and find a more reputable Warranty Company. As for the "fine print", apparently THEY have the right to "Buy Out" rather than fixing anything for pretty much nowhere even close to what it will cost to fix the problem. Again, what good is a Warranty that pretty much does not "cover" anything.

Original review: May 24, 2022

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!! First off, every time I call in to address issues with my claim (at least 15 times on one claim) I am transferred 5-9 times before getting to the proper department. I am NOT EXAGGERATING. Don’t use this company or you will live to regret it! So, I filed a claim a over a month and a half ago (currently 95 degrees in Texas) and when the AC tech told me the part was on back order from the manufacturer and would possibly not be available for over a month HWA refused to do anything to try and resolve the issue, even though I am disabled and heat will cause me to have migraines so bad I end up in the ER crying and throwing up.

A manager showed not an ounce of sympathy for the situation and refused to replace the unit, as he told me they do not replace units but will just keep replacing parts as they fail. He also said they would do nothing to try and address or help resolve the back order issue. He insinuated to me that the process is intentionally set up to push you to go and repair your unit yourself, because most will not wait a month or two to have units repaired. How scandalous! I have never felt so disregarded and disrespected in my life.

I took it into my own hands and after hours on the phone finally found the part at a supplier. AC Tech installs and determines there are other parts that are also damaged and needing replacement, as it is a complex smart system requiring you go through steps to trace back the specific problem because HWA refuses to replace all of them at once. HWA then fires this technician, as if they hadn’t already delayed my repairs enough, and hired another company. Now I am stuck waiting for this company to make an appointment. HWA is owned by Direct Energy who also owns First Choice Power, AWHR, Airtron Heating & Air, WTU Retail Energy, and CPL Retail Energy.

Original review: May 18, 2022

I recently put in a claim in May 2022 for a repair for my tub water faucet. It took a week and a half for the claim to finally get picked up only for the technician not to show up due to not seeing the work order. I follow up the following day with CS to get in contact with the contractor who immediately came out. The contractor only has an hour to dedicate to the project due to I guess work order time allotted. It takes the verification department almost that amount of time to review the work order only to ask the contractor to "rebuild" whatever the issue was vs replacing the issue.

So now I to wait until the contractor can find parts to "rebuild" the issue while I have already had to go almost 2 weeks without water. To add insult to this entire situation, I was required to still pay the trade fee of $100 without any service being completed. When the contractor returns, I will be required to a $45 Gas Fee which is ridiculous while I continue to not have any hot water. Do not chose HWA, it's a complete rip-off.

Take a Home Warranty Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Home Warranty of America Company Information