2.0/5 (125 ratings)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

About Home Warranty of America

Home Warranty of America Inc. offers warranty plans that protect you from the high cost of unexpected repair bills. The company also provides quick repairs from its network of qualified service technicians. You can choose from one of Home Warranty of America’s two plans that cover more than 20 systems to find a solution that works best for you.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• High coverage limits
    • Nationwide coverage
    • ENERGY STAR appliance upgrades

Cons

• Scheduling wait time

Bottom Line

Home Warranty of America provides advanced coverage options at reasonable rates. While it can take up to 48 hours to schedule a service, benefits like ENERGY STAR-certified appliance upgrades really set the company apart.

Top Home Warranty of America Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Submitting a claim to HWA is very simple and easy. Everybody has been professional, and they usually give a time when the contractor will contact us. I’m very satisfied with them....

Verified

I just call them and they send quality people out, and they take care of it. The techs don't give up. They keep going until they get the thing fixed, and that's greatly appreciate...

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

Home Warranty of America plans

Home Warranty of America has been protecting homeowners, buyers and sellers for decades. The company has multiple coverage options to let you choose what best suits your needs. Home Warranty of America offers warranties in all 50 states and has a network of service professionals. For existing homeowners, Home Warranty of America offers two levels of coverage.

Premier: The Premier plan is the most affordable plan for existing homeowners. It covers more than 20 major household systems and appliances, and you can add coverage for individual items such as well pumps, stand-alone refrigerators and more.

Premier Plus: The Premier Plus plan covers all major systems and appliances, including air conditioning (which isn’t covered by Premier). It includes the company’s Premium Coverage option, which adds 25 additional items, such as plumbing fixtures and toilet replacement.

Both of these plans have 13-month warranty periods. You can also add GreenPlus, which qualifies you to replace old appliances with energy-efficient models, and OrangePlus, which covers additional components and services, including water softeners and re-keying services.

Home Warranty of America also has home warranty plans for those buying or selling a home. Under these plans, coverage options may vary by state. The company offers 13-month coverage contracts in its Gold, Platinum and Diamond Plans with optional sellers’ and buyers’ coverages. These plans can only be purchased by a real estate agent.

Home Warranty of America cost

The price range of Home Warranty of America’s plans is $43 per month to $55.31 per month. Costs vary based on the trade call service fee option chosen ($75 or $100) as well as any add-on protections.

Home Warranty of America provides 13-month terms — most other home warranty companies only have 12-month contracts. The higher of its two service call fee options is on the pricier side at $100, but it's not out of the average range for the industry, which is $60 to $125.

Home Warranty of America coverage

The Premier plan provides protection for the following items:

• Built-in microwaves
    • Washers/dryers
    • Water heaters
    • Whirlpool bathtubs
    • Air conditioning

The Premier Plus plan is the more comprehensive choice for existing homeowners to consider. The plan covers everything included in the Premier Plan plus additional items, including increased protection for toilet replacement, plumbing fixtures, faucets and showerheads.

Optional add-on coverage is available at an extra cost for the following items:

ItemCost per month
    Pool/spa combos and saltwater pools$11.54
    Roof leak repair and septic tank pumping$3.85
    Second refrigerator/stand-alone freezer$2.69
    SEER/R-410A modifications$5.77
    Septic system$3.86
    Well pump$6.54

Home Warranty of America also offers two add-on packages, both for $5.77 per month.

The GreenPlus add-on includes coverage to upgrade appliance replacements with ENERGY STAR-qualified products. This includes dishwashers, refrigerators, clothes washers, heating system replacement and water heaters.

The OrangePlus add-on includes coverage for water softeners and re-keying services, provides for the removal of defective equipment at no extra charge and increases coverage limits for the following items:

• Code violations/permits up to $250
    • Professional-series appliances up to $2,000
    • Toilet replacement up to $600

Home Warranty of America coverage exclusions

In some instances, there are parts of otherwise covered items that will be excluded from coverage. It’s important to read your contract to fully understand what coverage for each item truly entails.

Home Warranty of America does specify some coverage exclusions, which is typical for all home warranty service plans. Often, parts that are not essential to the item performing its core function may be excluded. For example, dishwashers are covered by both of HWA’s plans, but racks, baskets, rollers and door seals are not covered. Similarly, the electrical system coverage won’t cover items like fixtures.

You can find a full list of exclusions on Home Warranty of America's sample contract.

Home Warranty of America coverage limits

Home Warranty of America’s coverage limits per term are no more than $5,000 per covered item or $15,000 total per contract term. None of its plans cover preexisting conditions, which is standard in the industry.

Specific coverage limits and maximum payouts depend on the appliance or system in need of repair or replacement — these are outlined in the chart below.

ItemHome Warranty of America’s coverage limit
    Electrical or plumbing rust and corrosion$2,000
    Heating systems, tankless water heaters, well pumps and saltwater pool equipment$1,500
    In-ground pool and spa equipment, water heaters and stand-alone ice makers or freezers$1,000
    Ductwork and plumbing systems$1,000 for inaccessible items
    Roof leak repair, septic systems, toilets and water softeners$500
    Burglar and fire alarm systems, ceiling and exhaust fans and central vacuums$400
    Refrigerant$10/pound

Home Warranty of America claims

Claims can be submitted online or through the company’s toll-free number 24/7, including holidays. Emergency services can be rushed at HWA’s discretion. Someone over the age of 18 must be present in the home during the repair.

To request service from Home Warranty of America:

1. Submit a claim online or over the phone as soon as an issue is discovered.
    2. HWA will contact an authorized technician within 48 hours to schedule your requested repair.
    3. Pay the service call fee ($75 or $100, depending on your plan).

Should the repair fail or the same issue reoccur within the service recall period (90 days on parts and 30 days on labor), HWA will send a technician to complete new repairs without charging you a service fee or any other additional costs.

Frequently asked questions

What is Home Warranty of America’s premium coverage option?
    Premium coverage expands your standard coverage to include protection for equipment and parts that aren’t standard to home warranty contracts, including fixtures and accessories like showerheads or dishwasher racks. The plan option covers more than 30 items.
    What is Home Warranty of America’s cancellation policy?
    You can cancel your contract at any time, but you need to cancel within 30 days to receive a full refund. If you cancel after 30 days, you’ll need to pay a cancellation fee of $30 or 10% of the contract fee, whichever is less. Overall, we’ve seen far higher cancellation fees among other companies.
    Is a home inspection required by Home Warranty of America?
    No inspection is required, and the company states you will not be denied coverage based on the age of your home, systems or appliances.

Is Home Warranty of America a good company?

Home Warranty of America has several aspects that stand out and make it a good option for homeowners looking for coverage for their systems and appliances.

The company’s Premier and Premier Plus plans offer substantial coverage for homeowners. Our favorite features include the Premier Protection plan, which adds coverage for parts like fixtures and appliance accessories. This coverage is not common to home warranty service plans, and it’s an affordable add-on that increases the value of your contract. Additionally, the GreenPlus and OrangePlus add-ons make Home Warranty of America an inclusive provider.

Home Warranty of America Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

One thing that's been frustrating is I had to get my AC unit repaired a couple of times. The first time I got it repaired, the first company that HWA sent out didn't work on my unit, which was fine. They sent out another company. But then the second time I got it repaired, I let them know that their primary pick didn't work on my unit. They said because it was their preferred company, they had to send them out first regardless and hear from them that they didn't work on my unit, which was frustrating since it was just a couple of months prior that we'd been through that. It was a waste of my time as I had to miss work and be home when I knew they couldn't work on my unit. Then they sent the other company again. That was a bummer. Other than that, everything's been great. HWA was convenient for me in the past year.

Home Warranty of America response

Thank you, Sarah, for taking the time to leave a great rating! We are always looking for ways to improve our services and we will share this feedback internally. If there is anything, we can assist you with in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us. Have a wonderful day! -Caroline/Digital Care

Original review: Nov. 13, 2021

I had a little problem with a microwave. This was during when COVID first happened and Home Warranty of America didn't have a very good contingent plan in place for people to go home and for calls to get transferred to them. I couldn't get a response. I almost switched to American Home Shield because I had them in my old house and they were answering the phone. But things got sorted out. I bought myself a microwave and once everything settled down, Home Warranty of America sent me a check. I've had a good experience and I would recommend them.

Home Warranty of America response

Hello Edward. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the delay with your microwave claim and we greatly appreciate your patience during the pandemic. We are pleased to hear that your claim was resolved and look forward to servicing all your future needs. If there is anything, we can assist you with in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us. Have a wonderful day! -Caroline/Digital Care

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

At first it was a little difficult 'cause I called Home Warranty of America and they told me they'd call me back but I never got a call. Once I got my claim in, it got resolved quickly. They sent a guy to do the estimate of the damages. He was professional and he knew what he was doing. My only thing was, I didn't know what fell under the warranty. Like I had a plumbing issue and my friends were telling me if it was a clogged pipe, then it might be my fault and they might not cover it. But HWA took care of everything and I was pretty happy about that.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

Each time I had a problem with my house, Home Warranty of America was quick with getting someone out to respond, call, and make an appointment. They also follow up. Most of the time, the contractors are quick to come out and are always super knowledgeable. They always helped me and fixed the problems. They also don't overprice and oversell. They go, "This is the problem, this is what it is, and this is how we can fix it, and then this is the lowest cost we can get you." I've had a really good experience with Home Warranty of America. I like them and I'm happy with them. I even re-up with them.

Home Warranty of America response

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this great review, Desire! We are pleased to hear that you are greatly satisfied and look forward to servicing all your future needs. If there is anything, we can assist you with in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us. Have a wonderful day! -Caroline/Digital Care

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

The woman who signed me up with Home Warranty of America was awesome. She felt bad because something happened to my credit card when they went to run it. The bank saw a $600 fix something transaction and at the time, there was a lot of credit theft going on. HWA kept running my credit card and it was getting declined and declined. They never called me about it.

When filed my claim for the garage door, they told me I didn't have insurance through them. I flipped out and called the woman back. She was like, "You have it. Relax. We'll have a guy come out there. Don't worry about it." She found out that they kept running my card and she took care of the problem. She also took care of the deductible on my claim. The guys who did the garage door was great. They repaired the springs that day. They were very polite.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

Have a claim open for my AC. The technician came out and said I had a bad compressor. Apparently that part can't be replaced so they have to replace the whole condenser unit. Every time I call they tell me they are waiting for information from the technician or the vendor or that the part has already been ordered. It's very hard to get a consistent answer from them and their reps have no sense of urgency to resolve my claim that has been open for awhile.

I've been weeks without AC in the Florida heat and every time I call they say give it 24 hours for the next response. I call back 24 hours later and they have made little to no movement on my claim. They say are waiting for information from the techs or some other ** answer they read that sounds scripted. You will call them and you will feel like you are just going in circles. This experience has been very stressful and I will be cancelling service. My advice is stay far away from this company if you want to keep your sanity and have your appliances fixed in a timely manner! They don't care about you and this is just a money grab.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

This is our first time buying a pre owned home. We had been in our home 15 days and an issue started with the septic. I got approved to get our contracted septic company out to fix and I would get reimbursed. After sending in all info for the reimbursement including the inspection that states the system was in working order they denied us and will not reimburse us. Stating it was pre existing. ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS IN A PRE OWED HOME IS PRE EXISTING!!! That is the purpose of the warranty. I paid EXTRA to cover our septic and they just don't want to pay for it. This company doesn't care about their customers. Their goal is to not spend money by denying claims.

On top of this every agent I have spoken to was rude and unapologetic and only followed a script and repeated themselves. ZERO customer service skills or care for their customers. I want my over $800 I had to spend on a septic that was WORKING WHEN I BOUGHT THE HOME. The agent today told me I should have waited 30 days to submit it and then I would have gotten approved. WHAT IN THE WORLD?!!! I have all evidence needed showing it was proven to be working prior to us closing. I want a full reimbursement.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

I was forced to give this review one star in order to submit it. If given a choice there would be no stars. Whatever you do under no circumstances spend money on this absolutely horrible product that has no customer service, no willingness to fix anything, and every reason to deny your claim. They will send vendors who try to diagnose the problem and when it will cost too much, cancel the service ticket and send (or most likely not show up) another vendor. The entire business model of this company is to take your money and give you nothing in return except a headache, a lighter wallet, and broken appliances. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS PRODUCT.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2022

When I first signed up back in 2014, HWA was great! Prompt service, no stupid questions, and happy results. However, a couple of years ago when I was redoing my kitchen, the gate valve on my hot water to the dishwater failed at 2 a.m. I called HWA and I could only leave a message (so much for 24/7 service), but after the third time a very tired voice answered. I tried to file a claim, but even though they could confirm that I was paying my monthly contract fee it was to an expired contract so they couldn't call out a plumber...I would have to wait until the day shift came in to get the contract updated and THEN they could call a plumber. Thankfully, a plumber friend of mine was able to help me out.

Fast forward to April when I decided to install a water softener in my garage. The previous occupant already had one so the bypass plumbing was already there. When the tech tried to install it, the ball valves on that had also failed so I wanted to fix it before they installed it. The first company that showed up to fix it had to call it in to get approval and they got it. However, they refused to actually perform the work unless they were paid first. Apparently, HWA hadn't paid them yet for some other jobs that they did. So, HWA assigned another contractor...who didn't show at all. I called back again and then they assigned a plumber that lived about 100 miles away. I didn't even get notified in that case.

An emergency popped up and I was busy for the next couple of months and when I was free, tried to follow up on my claim. HWA decided to close it after 30-days without even consulting me. Now, I had to open the claim again. This time, the technician was on vacation and didn't have a chance to review it before accepting it. Timing between us had been hit or miss as I was out of town all week. HWA decided to set up an appointment anyway for yesterday while I was out in the boondocks of Maine so I know for a FACT that the technician never showed up. Yet, my claim was just denied because they said the technician reported that it was a blocked drain and they don't cover that....EVEN THOUGH MY CLAIM CLEARLY STATES THAT IT WAS A FAILED VALVE AND THAT THEY HAD PREVIOUS APPROVED THE REPAIRS. I would not recommend this company, even to my worst enemy.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

We have had this warranty for 3 years, a few months ago our oven stopped working they refused to have it repaired. Instead they gave us a check for $400 and claimed that was the national average price for an electric range, you cannot find any electric range even close to $400. Last week our water heater went out. It has been 5 days without hot water. They sent a service person from Total Plumbing out of Mooresville North Carolina. We paid $100 for the man to tell us our water heater needed replaced. We still don't have any idea when they are going to bring a new water heater and install it. Home Warranty of America says they are waiting for Total Plumbing to pick it up, Total Plumbing has told us they're waiting for it to be delivered so which is it? Bottom line is home warranty of America is useless and I do not recommend ever doing business with them. We are searching for a better warranty company that will not give us a run around.

Take a Home Warranty Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Home Warranty of America Company Information