2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.45/5

At Home Warranty of America, Inc. we have built our business on simplifying the lives of our customers and helping them immediately, in times of great need and uncertainty. We strive to always offer our customers fast, easy solutions with our network of qualified service technicians.

Home Warranty of America specializes in home warranty plans, real estate, home sellers warranty, appliance warranty, and home protection plans. Whether you are planning to sell your home, buy a new one, or just staying in your home, we can save you money and time, and bring you peace of mind when you need it most. Get a free quote from us today!

BOTTOM LINE

Home Warranty of America provides advanced coverage options at a reasonable rate. While it can take up to 48 hours to schedule a service, benefits like ENERGY STAR certified appliance upgrades really set the company apart.

PROS

• ENERGY STAR appliance upgrades
  • High coverage limits
  • Nationwide coverage

CONS

• Service scheduling wait time

Top Home Warranty of America Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?

Submitting a claim to HWA is very simple and easy. Everybody has been professional, and they usually give a time when the contractor will contact us. I’m very satisfied with them. The warranty is worth the money.

I just call them and they send quality people out, and they take care of it. The techs don't give up. They keep going until they get the thing fixed, and that's greatly appreciated. If it was something major like a washing machine or air conditioning, they would make it happen that day.

Home Warranty of America plans

Home Warranty of America has been protecting homeowners, buyers and sellers for decades. They have multiple coverage options, so customers can choose what best suits their needs. They offer warranties in 49 states (excluding California) with a trusted network of service professionals nationwide. For existing homeowners, Home Warranty of America offers two levels of coverage.

• Premier: The Premier plan is the most affordable plan for existing homeowners and covers over 20 major household systems and appliances. You can also add on optional coverage for extra individual items such as well pumps, stand-alone refrigerators and more.
  • Premier Plus: The Premier Plus plan covers all major systems and appliances. It includes their Premium Coverage option at no extra cost, which adds 25 additional items, like plumbing fixtures and toilet replacement.

Both of these plans have 13-month warranty periods. You’ll also have the option of adding GreenPlus, which qualifies customers to replace their old appliances with energy-efficient models, and OrangePlus, which covers additional components and services, including water softeners and re-key.

In addition, Home Warranty of America also offers home warranty plans for those buying or selling a home. Under these plans, coverage options may vary by state. 13-month coverage contracts are available with Gold, Platinum or Diamond Plans that each have optional sellers’ and buyers’ coverages. It’s important to note that these plans can only be purchased by a real estate agent.

Home Warranty of America cost

The average cost of Home Warranty of America’s coverage is $41–$54 per month for existing homeowners. Costs vary based on the trade call service fee option chosen ($75 or $100) as well as any add-on protections.

PlanService call feeAverage monthly cost
Premier Plan$75$44.62
$100$41.15
Premier Plus$75$53.46
$100$50.38

Home Warranty of America provides 13-month terms, compared with other home warranty companies who only have 12-month contracts. We find their prices to be pretty fair overall and the cost about average when it comes to industry standards. The higher of their two service call fee options is on the pricier side at $100, but not out of average range for the industry, which is $60–$125..

Home Warranty of America coverage

The Premier plan provides production for the following items:

• Built-in microwaves
  • Washers/dryers
  • Water heaters
  • Whirlpool bathtubs
  • Air conditioning

The Premier Plus plan is the more comprehensive choice for existing homeowners to consider. The plan covers everything included in the Premier Plan plus additional items including increased toilet replacement protection, plumbing fixtures, faucets and showerheads.

Optional add-on coverage is available at an extra cost for the following items:

ItemCost per month
Pool/spa combo, saltwater pools$11.54
Roof leak repair, septic tank pumping$3.85
Second refrigerator, stand-alone freezer$2.69
SEER/R-410A modifications$5.77
Septic system$3.86
Well pump$6.54

Home Warranty of America also offers two add-on packages:

The GreenPlus add-on includes coverage to upgrade appliance replacements with ENERGY STAR qualified products. Includes dishwashers, refrigerators, clothes washers, heating system replacement and water heaters.

The OrangePlus add-on includes coverage for water softeners and re-key, provides the removal of defective equipment at no extra charge and increases coverage limits for the following items:

• Code Violations/Permits up to $250
  • Professional Series Appliances up to $2,000
  • Toilet Replacement up to $600

Home Warranty of America Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

The only thing I was concerned about is I have my bank statements pulled up, and I told HWA that these months were paid for. The rep told me that I didn't pay for these months, which I pulled on my bank statements right in front of them. Then there was one month when he told me I didn't pay. I looked at that month, and I said, “Okay. My bank statement is saying here, ‘Home Warranty of America, Direct Energy took out this much on this day.’” He said, “Well, I don't see that here.” How can they not see what they take out of our accounts right then and there, and I just see it on my side?

And then he said, “Well, you could send me a bank statement.” Why do I have to send a bank statement of what you guys took out? Shouldn't they know what they are taking out of our accounts? They are obviously doing this direct take-out, so they should know exactly what money is taken out of my account. And he didn't know what date. He told me I didn't pay for this month and this month, which on my bank statement, it shows the payment has been taken out. I've been with Home Warranty of America the past five years and I never encountered this situation. It was ridiculous. I just went ahead and paid it because I hate the confrontation.

What gets me is how I started my new contract two months ago. HWA took out the regular payment these past two months. And then come August, they said my card was declined. But once I got my new card, I went ahead and called them and let them know. That was supposed to be corrected already in the beginning, which it was. But what I don't get is how two months later, they told me that I owe for two months on my last contract with them. But I just renewed with them. Why wasn't none of that stuff mentioned? Why is that my mistake? That should be their mistake that they made prior for me starting a new contract. If I missed two months on my last contract, shouldn't that have been taken care of before I started a new one?

And not only that. I already filed a claim just last month for an issue. It was my heating and cooling, and they took it. I was about to cancel my services with them because I never had this issue before. And then when it came up, they don't have the answers or don't even know how much money they are taking out of my account and when they are taking it out. That's the whole reason why I do the autopay. It's for them to take care of that, where I don't have to call them and take care of my payment.

When I purchased my home, they gave me the opportunity to do Home Warranty of American. It's a really cool item to throw, especially if you're a first-time homebuyer. It’s really good to have for a year. But I kept it on longer than that because I love the services. Everything that I experienced with them has been awesome. Every time I call them and file a claim, the contractor would come out here within a week, and they take care of the issue. I had excellent service with them. It's just little issues that they should be able to answer or take care of on our end, especially we've been a customer for this long. They should be able to look back at the payment history or even what I paid. I would definitely recommend them to other people. But their representatives should know the answers to everything that we ask. I hope we could change things.

The last lady there who I talked to was awesome. The other one might have been new. He might not have been looking at the correct stuff. At that point, I just didn't wanna talk to him anymore. I hung up because it felt like he didn't know what he was talking about. The next lady that I spoke to clarified everything to me, but then I still didn't get clarity on how I'm missing two months out of last year. That still baffles me on how they couldn’t answer that question. But other than that, I went ahead and paid it. We resolved everything.

Home Warranty of America response

Good afternoon Joaquin Medina, on the name of the company please accept our apologies for all the frustration you had or have gone through during the process of your claim. We appreciate your loyalty and trust in HWA for many years. At Home Warranty of America, we strive to meet the needs of all our customers, and we are proud to be your trusted home warranty provider, and thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you are greatly satisfied and look forward to servicing all your future needs. Please don't hesitate to contact us by phone or live chat at www.hwahomewarranty.com should you need our assistance. Thanks again and have a wonderful day! - Mateo

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: July 23, 2020

When I've called HWA, they've worked to try to meet my needs and get personnel over here to town. If somebody referred me to someone who didn’t do the job, then they did whatever they could to replace that individual or company and get somebody to get in here and do what had to be done. When I had an air conditioning problem, the first person that they referred me to wasn't able to get to me till about a week later but that wasn't good enough. So I contacted HWA and told them what was going on. They reassigned the claim to somebody else. That person came out in about 24 to 48 hours. He looked at the problem and made some adjustments to the system, but couldn't figure out why it was leaking. So that person consulted with the manufacturer and got some ideas. But for whatever reason, he didn't get back to me.

HWA called me and followed up with me about it. I told them what was going on and they said they would contact the vendor and so did I, but neither one of us would get a satisfactory response. So they got somebody else. When the person came out and diagnosed the situation, he told me that the unit is backed up. But what needed to be done, he didn't do it. He said I was gonna need a plumber to do it. So he made his report and they didn’t charge me anything for it. He made the last assessment and explained what was going on. Then he had to file another claim and HWA sent the plumber out. The guy came out, looked at it and told me it was backed up. He took the drain and pipes apart, flushed out the system, told me what needed to be done to prevent it from happening again and I haven't had any problem since. He put the filter and everything back together and it's running fine now. So it worked out.

I had a situation before where I had a pipe that was bad under the house. HWA paid for the repair but they didn't pay for access to the repair. I had to pay a little bit of money to get some diggers to dig 21 feet under the slab of my house. They should help cover 25% or 50% of the cost of the access to fix the problem. But other than that, I'm fine with them. With everything going on with COVID-19 and everything else, the response time might be a little slower than normal but I understood that. But whenever they gave a certain amount of time within the timeframe, they met that and it worked out. We pay our home warranty since we moved into this house 10 years ago and whenever I've called them, they do what they have to do. They get the people over here and work gets done. I pay my deductible and it's all I have to pay it, except for something that's outside of what the warranty covers. But whatever the warranty covers, they took care of it.

Home Warranty of America response

Hello Wellington, We want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience; We appreciate you. We are engaged to give the best customer services and to improve our service throughout the claim process. If you have additional questions, please let us know. Randy/Digital Care.

Original review: May 8, 2020

I used to be a Realtor, and I used to purchase a warranty, every time I sold a house, as a gift to my customers. At that time, I liked HWA because most of my customers were first-time buyers. I used to call them professional renters 'cause any time something went wrong in the house, the only person that knew to call was the Realtor, which I had nothing to do with fixing anything. So, it saved me a lot of hassles. 'Cause I had customers use it quite a bit if something went out, whether it was the refrigerator, the air conditioner or the hot water heater. They had a concrete number to call. They didn't have to worry about being taken advantage of by a craftsperson.

My most recent claim with HWA was for my dishwasher that went out. The only thing was it took them so very long to handle that particular claim because the part that was broken was no longer made. So, instead of just hanging out on the claim, their purchasing department would look for this part to see if they can find it anywhere. It took 6 weeks to have them settle that claim. But normally, it's within a week.

Since they couldn't get it fixed, they sent me two different models that I can order and they would replace a dishwasher with one of those models, or they can send me the money for it and I can choose my own model. I chose the money and they sent me $400 for it. The only thing that sometimes is confusing is, what exactly, other than an appliance, are they covering - electrical or plumbing. That can be a little bit tricky to try to figure out. But for the most part, I've been generally happy with them. My son bought a house about two years ago, and I have not been a Realtor for a long time. I was not his Realtor, but as a housewarming gift, I bought him a home warranty. He ended up using it because he had a pipe break that was on the wall and they were very good. They sent someone out the very next day and they fixed it. His experience with it was very happy too.

Home Warranty of America response

Malgorzata, Thank you for leaving us this review based on your firsthand experiences with our company. We are pleased to hear that you and your son are satisfied and we look forward to servicing all your future needs. Thank you for your comments. - Dembe.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

When we moved here, the homeowners had a warranty with HWA and we continued it. We just called and switched it to our name. So far, everything's good and positive with them. I call them when we have a claim and their customer service has been very good. They let me know who they've contacted to come out to the home and give their name and phone number.

It's good to have the warranty because we've come out for the better for what we pay each year. My refrigerator tore up one time and they sent a man out. He thought that it would be better to get a new refrigerator, so they gave me the option of them giving me the money to go buy a new one or they'll ship me one, and I said I'd take the money. Then one time, the dishwasher went out and I let them bring a dishwasher here. I didn't go out and purchase one. And when the washer went out, they gave me money for that and I bought a new washer. At another time, we had some kind of electrical problem with the lights in the kitchen in the ceiling. They sent somebody out, so we had to put in new lights and wiring right there. We've had a plumber out a couple of times as well and the air conditioner had to be serviced this year and last year.

I ran into other women at different places and they have some kind of home warranty thing in Tennessee and Kentucky. Some of them said that it would take two weeks where they didn't have a washer or a refrigerator. I don't know what the deal was and why they had to wait so long to get replacements. But two weeks is crazy because with HWA, I don't have that problem and I am so glad.

I had to wait on the dishwasher because they had to ship it to the plumber to bring here and put it in. Still, we could hand wash dishes and I rarely use my dishwasher. So that was no big deal. But when the refrigerator went out, I had to drive everyday to keep the milk and stuff like that cold. We had to bring in food, so that was a little bit expensive. We had to wait for the person to get out here and check the refrigerator. But other than that, we had normal experiences and I would encourage someone to get a home warranty with HWA. The techs they send out to deal with the situation have always been good and professional, too.

Home Warranty of America response

Good evening, Terri. We wanted to take a moment to thank you for sharing all of your positive, personal experiences with our company. What you describe in your review is exactly what we strive for on each and every opportunity we have to serve our customers. We are so pleased to hear that you have had an outstanding customer experience, from our agents on the phone to our contractors that have completed the jobs in your home. It is our privilege to serve you and provide these efficient and positve experiences for you, Terri. Thank you again for the feedback, and we wish you an outstanding weekend!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

We hardly use our home warranty with HWA. But every once in a while, a problem comes up and the home is 10-plus years. So, we keep the warranty for peace of mind, more or less. Sometimes dealing with the third-party vendors can be an annoyance and the lag time can take quite a while. We had a problem with our air conditioner this year and getting the right parts as well as confirming the cause took some time. That was a little bothersome but in the end, it was taken care of. Fortunately we didn’t go too much of the summer without the air conditioning working.

At times, there would also be some miscommunication as to who we needed to talk to to get timely confirmations. Sometimes the contractors would push back and say we had go to the home warranty. And sometimes customer service would tell me I had to go to the contractors to get it. So, it’d be kind of a tail chasing and we had to call several different times to get the exact answer we needed.

It was not awful though and it depends on the project. With the air conditioning one, it was a little more annoying when we were trying to find exactly how much we were liable for or not. But for simple claims, like replacing a certain plumbing type of thing, those are usually more straightforward. Other than that, Home Warranty of America's website has most of the answers that you need to move on to the next step, though sometimes you just go other and have to explain things. Also, it's not mobile-friendly. So, if I’m commuting or just trying to get the claim out because life is busy, it’s totally harder to get through everything on the phone. But on the desktop, it’s totally fine. Still, they should have more clarity on the process such as the roles or responsibilities of the contractors or home warranty to know where to get what answers whether it’s on the cost, timing for completion, or delivery of parts.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi Eric, and thank you for taking some time to share this review with us. We understand that our vendors can sometimes be working with very full schedules, especially during their peak season(s). Our goal is to provide our customers with an efficient and excellent experience each and every time, so we apologize that you have had a different experience. We are glad to know that your AC issue this summer was handled quickly and to your satisfaction. We are happy to be your trusted home warranty company, and it is our privilege to provide you and your family with the peace of mind that you mention in the review. Thank you, Eric, and have an awesome weekend!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

We've had one prior issue and had it solved without a problem. However, I've just had the most frustrating 3 month experience from this company. My microwave could not be repaired and I accepted replacement versus cash. Three months later, over 20 phone calls, at least 15 hours of my time trying to manage the process and I still have no microwave.

Their departments do not speak to each other and when you have a problem, there is no way to be assigned a person. Their notes never tell the next person you speak to what is going on, but the bottom line is that my case was "elevated" multiple times and fell to purchasing and claims (neither of which I could speak to and nor could the multiple employees I spoke to about my ongoing saga of no microwave). Because there was an order number, they could not give me the cash out option even though I never received a microwave. No one could take responsibility to solve a problem. Even though the nice employees tried their best and were often as frustrated as I was, they could offer no resolution to the case of the missing microwave.

Since my 17 year old started asking if we could get a microwave again before she leaves for college, my only recourse was to end the warranty. If this were my air conditioner, I would've been without air conditioning for 3 months with no end in sight. Absolutely the worst experience with any company in my entire adult life. Empower your employees! Allow them to speak to each other. Allow someone to be a customer's advocate. If this is your warranty company offered at the closing table for your new home or condo, say NO because it isn't worth the mental fatigue when there is a glitch in the system. Laura ** MD

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

I am very disappointed with the runaround of trying to get my AC claim approve. My claim seems to be stuck in mgmt approval. HWA Mgmt has all the info and the service provider is very responsive to any questions. HWA associates even indicate it has been unacceptable the delay of the processing of my AC claim, but it goes nowhere. I can say that the service providers have been excellent. But having excellent service providers with waiting weeks and weeks for a claim to be processed which maybe stuck on mgmt desk forever, like an AC claim, makes having a home warranty worthless.

Resolution response: Sept. 15, 2020

I finally got reimbursed after 1 hour and 40 minute phone call. They came through with promised solution.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

HWA was a gift from our real estate agent. Our washer went out and called HWA. Service rep come after calling back 3 times 10 days later. Tech said washer could not be repaired and HWA would call. No call. WE called service center and they could get washer in 2 months, mail check in 6-8 weeks or TANGO card in 3-5 business days. 5 days past ,no card. Called again. Said 24 hours will have email. 24 hours later-no emailed Tango card. Then they said another 3-5 business days to get tango card. Guess what still no card. I'm going to buy my own washer because I can't wait on this inefficient company to deliver. My suggestion is to not waste money on this company.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

The reps were courteous, but ineffective. I got three air conditioning units in my house, two of them have been out for over two weeks, and I still haven't gotten them fixed. I live in McKinney, Texas. It was 106 degrees here last week. The other thing is that HWA doesn't cover anything. I've had a number of instances when I've dealt with them, they would cover half of what the costs were and then there were all kinds of stuff that wasn't covered. It usually came to about 50%. It was unreasonable.

We got a guy out to fix the air conditioning. He drove up in a 20-year-old, beat up car that had AC painted on the side. I could hardly stand to be in the same room with him because he smelled so bad. He fixed one unit and it's now not working again. They just nickel and dime. They won't fix anything properly. They're doing as little as possible to get by. As soon as we get this done, we're canceling it.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

Cipriano helped me today. I was very pleased of the service and response time. Very efficient. Cipriano assisted me with my service order. Very quick to answer all my questions. Thanks so much Cipriano and HWA for helping with my issue.

Home Warranty of America response

Hello William. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate your business and don't hesitate to contact us for any situation. Randy/Digital Care.

Home Warranty of America coverage exclusions

In some instances, there are parts of otherwise covered items that will be excluded from coverage, so it’s important to read your contract to fully understand what “coverage” for each item truly entails. Home Warranty of America does specify some coverage exclusions, which is typical for all home warranty service plans. Typically parts that are not essential to the item performing its core function may be excluded. For example, while dishwashers are covered by both of HWA’s plans, racks, baskets, rollers and door seals are not covered. Similarly, the electrical system coverage won’t cover items like fixtures. You can find a full list of exclusions on Home Warranty of America's sample contract.

Home Warranty of America coverage limits

Home Warranty of America’s coverage limits per term are no more than $5,000 per covered item or $15,000 total per contract term. Standard across home warranty companies, none of their plans cover pre-existing conditions. Specific coverage limits and maximum payouts can depend on the specific appliance or system in need of repair or replacement, outlined in the chart below.

ItemHome Warranty of America’s coverage limit
    Electrical or plumbing rust and corrosion$2,000
    Heating systems, tankless water heaters, well pumps, saltwater pool equipment$1,500
    In-ground pool and spa equipment, water heaters, stand-alone ice makers or freezers$1,000
    Ductwork and plumbing systems$1,000 for inaccessible items
    Roof leak repair, septic systems, toilets, water softeners$500
    Burglar and fire alarm systems, ceiling and exhaust fans, central vacuums$400
    Refrigerant$10/pound

Home Warranty of America claims

Claims can be submitted 24/7, including holidays, online or through their toll-free number. Emergency services can be rushed at HWA’s discretion. Someone over the age of 18 must be present in the home during the repair.

How to request service from Home Warranty of America:

1. Submit a claim online or over the phone as soon as an issue is discovered.
    2. HWA will contact an authorized technician within 48 hours to schedule your requested repair.
    3. Pay the service call fee ($75 or $100, depending on your plan).

Should the repair fail or the same issue occur again within the service recall period (90 days on parts and 30 days on labor), HWA will send a technician to complete new repairs without charging you a service fee or any other additional costs.

Home Warranty of America FAQ

What is Home Warranty of America’s premium coverage option?

Premium coverage expands your standard coverage to include protection for equipment and parts that aren’t standard to home warranty contracts, namely fixtures and accessories like shower heads or dishwasher racks. The plan option covers 30+ items.

What is Home Warranty of America’s cancellation policy?

You can cancel your contract at any time but need to cancel within 30 days to receive a full refund. Cancelling after 30 days will include a small cancellation fee of $30 or 10 percent of the contract fee, whichever is less. Overall, we’ve seen far higher cancellation fees among other companies.

Is a home inspection required by Home Warranty of America?

No. No inspection is required and you will not be denied coverage based on the age of your home, systems or appliances.

Is Home Warranty of America worth it?

Home Warranty of America has several aspects that stand out and make it a good option for homeowners looking for coverage for their systems and appliances.

Home Warranty of America’s record of satisfied homeowners, focus on fast, effective and professional service and number of coverage choices, making it a top choice in home warranties. Both the Premier and the Premier Plus plans from Home Warranty of America offer substantial coverage and peace of mind for homeowners. Our favorite features include the Premier Protection plan, which adds coverage for parts like fixtures and appliance accessories. This coverage is not common to home warranty service plans, and it’s an affordable add-on that really extends the value of your contract. Additionally, the GreenPlus and OrangePlus add-ons make Home Warranty of America one of the most inclusive providers we’ve seen.

Home Warranty of America Company Information