Find a Home Warranties partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About Home Warranty of America

Home Warranty of America Inc. offers warranty plans that protect you from the high cost of unexpected repair bills. The company also provides quick repairs from its network of qualified service technicians. You can choose from one of Home Warranty of America’s two plans that cover more than 20 systems to find a solution that works best for you.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• High coverage limits
    • Nationwide coverage
    • ENERGY STAR appliance upgrades

Cons

• Scheduling wait time

Bottom Line

Home Warranty of America provides advanced coverage options at reasonable rates. While it can take up to 48 hours to schedule a service, benefits like ENERGY STAR-certified appliance upgrades really set the company apart.

Top Home Warranty of America Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Submitting a claim to HWA is very simple and easy. Everybody has been professional, and they usually give a time when the contractor will contact us. I’m very satisfied with them....

Verified

I just call them and they send quality people out, and they take care of it. The techs don't give up. They keep going until they get the thing fixed, and that's greatly appreciate...

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Home Warranty of America plans

Home Warranty of America has been protecting homeowners, buyers and sellers for decades. The company has multiple coverage options to let you choose what best suits your needs. Home Warranty of America offers warranties in all 50 states and has a network of service professionals. For existing homeowners, Home Warranty of America offers two levels of coverage.

Premier: The Premier plan is the most affordable plan for existing homeowners. It covers more than 20 major household systems and appliances, and you can add coverage for individual items such as well pumps, stand-alone refrigerators and more.

Premier Plus: The Premier Plus plan covers all major systems and appliances, including air conditioning (which isn’t covered by Premier). It includes the company’s Premium Coverage option, which adds 25 additional items, such as plumbing fixtures and toilet replacement.

Both of these plans have 13-month warranty periods. You can also add GreenPlus, which qualifies you to replace old appliances with energy-efficient models, and OrangePlus, which covers additional components and services, including water softeners and re-keying services.

Home Warranty of America also has home warranty plans for those buying or selling a home. Under these plans, coverage options may vary by state. The company offers 13-month coverage contracts in its Gold, Platinum and Diamond Plans with optional sellers’ and buyers’ coverages. These plans can only be purchased by a real estate agent.

Home Warranty of America cost

The price range of Home Warranty of America’s plans is $43 per month to $55.31 per month. Costs vary based on the trade call service fee option chosen ($75 or $100) as well as any add-on protections.

Home Warranty of America provides 13-month terms — most other home warranty companies only have 12-month contracts. The higher of its two service call fee options is on the pricier side at $100, but it's not out of the average range for the industry, which is $60 to $125.

Home Warranty of America coverage

The Premier plan provides protection for the following items:

• Built-in microwaves
    • Washers/dryers
    • Water heaters
    • Whirlpool bathtubs
    • Air conditioning

The Premier Plus plan is the more comprehensive choice for existing homeowners to consider. The plan covers everything included in the Premier Plan plus additional items, including increased protection for toilet replacement, plumbing fixtures, faucets and showerheads.

Optional add-on coverage is available at an extra cost for the following items:

ItemCost per month
    Pool/spa combos and saltwater pools$11.54
    Roof leak repair and septic tank pumping$3.85
    Second refrigerator/stand-alone freezer$2.69
    SEER/R-410A modifications$5.77
    Septic system$3.86
    Well pump$6.54

Home Warranty of America also offers two add-on packages, both for $5.77 per month.

The GreenPlus add-on includes coverage to upgrade appliance replacements with ENERGY STAR-qualified products. This includes dishwashers, refrigerators, clothes washers, heating system replacement and water heaters.

The OrangePlus add-on includes coverage for water softeners and re-keying services, provides for the removal of defective equipment at no extra charge and increases coverage limits for the following items:

• Code violations/permits up to $250
    • Professional-series appliances up to $2,000
    • Toilet replacement up to $600

Home Warranty of America coverage exclusions

In some instances, there are parts of otherwise covered items that will be excluded from coverage. It’s important to read your contract to fully understand what coverage for each item truly entails.

Home Warranty of America does specify some coverage exclusions, which is typical for all home warranty service plans. Often, parts that are not essential to the item performing its core function may be excluded. For example, dishwashers are covered by both of HWA’s plans, but racks, baskets, rollers and door seals are not covered. Similarly, the electrical system coverage won’t cover items like fixtures.

You can find a full list of exclusions on Home Warranty of America's sample contract.

Home Warranty of America coverage limits

Home Warranty of America’s coverage limits per term are no more than $5,000 per covered item or $15,000 total per contract term. None of its plans cover preexisting conditions, which is standard in the industry.

Specific coverage limits and maximum payouts depend on the appliance or system in need of repair or replacement — these are outlined in the chart below.

ItemHome Warranty of America’s coverage limit
    Electrical or plumbing rust and corrosion$2,000
    Heating systems, tankless water heaters, well pumps and saltwater pool equipment$1,500
    In-ground pool and spa equipment, water heaters and stand-alone ice makers or freezers$1,000
    Ductwork and plumbing systems$1,000 for inaccessible items
    Roof leak repair, septic systems, toilets and water softeners$500
    Burglar and fire alarm systems, ceiling and exhaust fans and central vacuums$400
    Refrigerant$10/pound

Home Warranty of America claims

Claims can be submitted online or through the company’s toll-free number 24/7, including holidays. Emergency services can be rushed at HWA’s discretion. Someone over the age of 18 must be present in the home during the repair.

To request service from Home Warranty of America:

1. Submit a claim online or over the phone as soon as an issue is discovered.
    2. HWA will contact an authorized technician within 48 hours to schedule your requested repair.
    3. Pay the service call fee ($75 or $100, depending on your plan).

Should the repair fail or the same issue reoccur within the service recall period (90 days on parts and 30 days on labor), HWA will send a technician to complete new repairs without charging you a service fee or any other additional costs.

Frequently asked questions

What is Home Warranty of America’s premium coverage option?
    Premium coverage expands your standard coverage to include protection for equipment and parts that aren’t standard to home warranty contracts, including fixtures and accessories like showerheads or dishwasher racks. The plan option covers more than 30 items.
    What is Home Warranty of America’s cancellation policy?
    You can cancel your contract at any time, but you need to cancel within 30 days to receive a full refund. If you cancel after 30 days, you’ll need to pay a cancellation fee of $30 or 10% of the contract fee, whichever is less. Overall, we’ve seen far higher cancellation fees among other companies.
    Is a home inspection required by Home Warranty of America?
    No inspection is required, and the company states you will not be denied coverage based on the age of your home, systems or appliances.

Is Home Warranty of America a good company?

Home Warranty of America has several aspects that stand out and make it a good option for homeowners looking for coverage for their systems and appliances.

The company’s Premier and Premier Plus plans offer substantial coverage for homeowners. Our favorite features include the Premier Protection plan, which adds coverage for parts like fixtures and appliance accessories. This coverage is not common to home warranty service plans, and it’s an affordable add-on that increases the value of your contract. Additionally, the GreenPlus and OrangePlus add-ons make Home Warranty of America an inclusive provider.

Home Warranty of America Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I usually tell Home Warranty of America there's an issue and they give me a claim number. A vendor will follow up with me and take care of the issue within the same week. Home Warranty of America saved us a lot of money and I don't see us ever not having a warranty since we've had to file a lot of claims since we moved in our house.

But there was one thing I was a little confused about. We had one little situation where I misunderstand the contract. Our toilet upstairs was running water and it seeped into the ceiling downstairs. It sounded like Home Warranty covered the toilet but they didn't cover the damage from the drywall. They said that they worked something out and covered a partial so I didn't have to pay the full amount. But they weren't very clear if I had a drywall issue related to an appliance breaking down like the toilet.

I also need to read the contract a little bit more to understand what Home Warranty covers. The light bulb in our refrigerator exploded or burnt out then it froze. Now, it melted within the fridge. The refrigerator is pitch black. But we can’t fix that because the refrigerator technically still works. Another thing is we have the sewer coverage and there's a separate number for it. It’s part of the home warranty but the way the home warranty handles a claim is a little bit different. I was having an issue updating my credit card and I tried to call the home warranty number. I was told I had to call the sewer number. I called them and was told I had to get back to the home warranty.

Original review: July 28, 2021

We're having an issue with our current claim with Home Warranty of America and it's a frustrating situation. We've had good experience otherwise. But we haven't had a working stove since June and the company that Home Warranty set us up with keeps canceling and rescheduling. Randomly, our claim for the stove was canceled without our direction to cancel it. So, we now got a quote from the company that's supposed to come and look at our stove that won't come again till the end of this month. HWA is not attempting to find an alternate company. They only set us up with the one company.

We haven't been able to cook a whole lot and we had to buy an external little cooking top so we can do anything on it. I've been meaning to call HWA but we're going in circles. So, I haven't had the energy to deal with it. I Googled and I found somebody that could potentially fix it, and HWA only had one resource. So, this is frustrating. But other than that, it's been positive.

Home Warranty of America response

Good afternoon Heidi. We regret to hear you are having an unpleasant experience with your stove claim. We attempted to contact you via private message requesting further details to take a closer look at your case over 11 days ago without any response. If the claim is still open or we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. Our online team would be more than glad to aid you. Looking forward to speaking with you. Sincerely, - Mateo/The Digital Care Team.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 20, 2021

Ever since Home Warranty of America transitioned to a new system, they've been having a lot of issues with scheduling a technician. We have multiple contracts with them and when we call, I tell them to not send a technician to the house in another state because I'm assuming the person on the lines is not from the US. I used to be able to log in and submit a claim online. But now, since they got a new system, I'm not able to log in because they screwed something up with the email system. So when I log in, I could only see one property address and not the other three properties. I called to complain about it but it never got solved. They wanted me to use another email address to solve the issue. But that's just silly. The email address that I'm trying to use never worked. So I’ve never been able to successfully log in even with the other email account to put in the claim. So I have to call every time now.

I really like some of the people that Home Warranty of American sends out. There’s an older gentleman that usually comes out and if I see his name or company right away assigned, then I know he’s gonna do a good job. But sometimes, if the claim gets assigned to someone that I haven't used before, I'm a little leery on it. So as soon as Home Warranty assigns my claim, I go to sites to check on reviews. If the contractor has really poor reviews, I ask Home Warranty to reassign my claim to someone else in their database. You don't get to pick the contractor. But I have a few people that they called out that I would rather assign my tickets to because they do things right. But overall, my experience with Home Warranty has been fair and solid.

Original review: July 5, 2021

Over a year and a half, I haven't been able to file claims online through Home Warranty of America's portal system. It always has to be through customer service, so it's pretty inconvenient. Why have a website if it's not gonna work? I've mentioned this to them a few times, and it was always like, “Oh, I'm gonna send an email. We'll figure it out.” But there's never a follow up. My only care is that the claim gets through. So, after that, I don't care. But once I'm ready to file another claim, then I can't do it through the computer. I just keep calling through.

Other than that, every time I've called, I've always had a great time except for this latest time that I filed a claim. The claim prior to this was for the dishwasher. We had the top racks and the bottom wheels that needed to be replaced. So, we filed a claim back in April with this certain vendor, Local Home Appliance. The tech has already been out here before, and we didn't have an issue with him. Everything was fine. But this time around, he said, “Oh, the parts are kind of on a backorder. So, it might be a couple of weeks.” Then, it ended up being almost two months of a wait time, which was completely inconvenient because we were washing dishes by hand. What's the point of having a dishwasher if you're not gonna be able to use it?

This time around, the dishwasher’s having a leak. So, I called to file a claim. Home Warranty of America knows of my experience with Local Home Appliance. I kept saying, “I don't wanna work with this vendor again. How do we solve that issue, so when I filed another claim, that I don't have that same vendor?” They said, “Well, then you just request another one.” So, I filed a new claim for this dishwasher that has the leak. Their customer service rep was very adamant that their policy supersedes anything and whatever they say. So, I said, “So, you're giving me just two options, either I cancel my home warranty, or I have this vendor that I don't want in my house come over.” And he said, “No, I'm not saying that you have to cancel, but I'm telling you that I can’t get you another vendor.”

That same day, I was ready to cancel and I do have two policies with Home Warranty of America. I have it on rental property and the house that I live in. The one that I needed service one was for the house that I live at. I was ready to just cancel both of them. I spoke to their retention team. They said, “Absolutely, you can request another vendor. And we don't even need to know the reason why. That's totally your prerogative,” which was great. The person that I spoke to was great. I didn't cancel, and they’re working it out. The vendor came out and they said that we need a new pump. He’s gonna order the parts. He said he'd have it in a couple days. I haven't heard since. But so far, so good.

Original review: May 17, 2021

I had my washing machine replaced one time and I had a hard time with that. When I put the claim in, Home Warranty of America said to get a new washing machine. I kept talking to different people because I never could get anywhere with it. They supposed to have passed the information on every time I call them, update them, or talk about it. Somehow, it got mixed up. The phone number that I told them to always call me at, they called me on another phone. My other landline phone wasn't working properly so I told them to always contact me on my cell phone and I gave them my cell phone number.

People came out and said I needed one and they'd put it in, but I wasn't contacted. I was supposed to do the rest of the work. I tried calling Home Warranty of America and they said that I had to choose another washer and then they have to call me and set up an appointment to come and put it in so that's where the misunderstanding came in. They had the wrong phone number. The people that were to come and install the washing machine also had the wrong phone number and they couldn't get in touch with me. But they didn't tell the home warranty that because I kept calling them and they were saying that they didn't know what was going on. I asked them what phone number they were trying to call so they told me and that was not the correct phone number.

In the meantime, I got some not so nice people on the phone. Everybody else was saying that I have to call back or they don't know what happened. Finally, I got one person that sounded young and she went to investigate everything I told her. She asked other people, she took a long time, and that was how it got solved. Once that happened, they put it in, and everything was okay.

I also had another issue, but it wasn't a big deal. I had a faucet that was more expensive than the one the contractor want to put in. They said they only pay $120 for a new faucet and mine was 200 and that they don't usually replace it with the same one. But I would like to have the same one I have. They called somebody at Home Warranty. The rep said that since I was a good customer, they would do it this time. Then recently, the furnace was not working properly when I first turned it on. The technician came out and went down to see what the problem was. He found the problem and he fixed it.

Home Warranty of America response

Hello Bernice. Thank you for the time you took to share this detailed review. We are sorry for all the hustle and frustration you had with your washing machine. HWA is increasing the efforts to minimize any delays throughout the claim process, and your feedback is important to that process. We appreciate you for bringing this to our attention. We hope your day goes beyond as you planned. Regards, Tom/Digital Care.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

We purchased an older home in 2020 and we utilized our HWA plan quite a bit as things began to break down. In 2020 - 2021 our experience with HWA was really great. They were responsive and accountable. We had no complaints. We even had an additional bit of coverage for a pool and spa. When it came time to renew we did, and we specifically asked that the pool/spa be included again. We were assured they were. When we resumed trying to troubleshoot an issue with the pool heater, started from the previous year, we were told it was no longer covered and we no longer had the pool/spa coverage. We got nowhere with them regarding our coverage.

Fast forward to January 1, 2022. Our water heater broke. Leak in the master - a mess for sure. During this past week we have been subjected to freezing temps in Houston. We have not had hot water since January 1. Today is January 8. We got the plumber out on Monday and HWA said they needed to review his estimate and they would get back to us w/in 1 - 2 working days. By Wednesday we still had not heard back. We called HWA to escalate. It is now Saturday - a full week later - and we have yet to hear from HWA about how much they are willing to pay for a new water heater.

The plumber and we decided to move forward with a tankless water heater, and we will apply whatever we get from HWA toward that. We found a way to pay for it ourselves although it has set us back, and HWA is still giving us the silent treatment. We discovered they were bought out by AIG I believe - and it seems that has caused their service and even their care for their customers to disappear. No hot water for a full week. During January. With temps dipping below 32*. Find another company to work with. They have lost their mojo. They are not the company they once were. Who knows when we will see any reimbursement for our water heater.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

How to tell. I still don't know how this warranty company is working. Now I'm waiting for the part (blower fan) for my HVAC repair, but nothing happened for last over two weeks since the service provider visited. OMG, this is winter so it's really tough to live with no heating. First, I gave a call to the service provider. They said ... they are waiting for the part, but don't know what is the status and even don't have a way to check the current status.

Then, they said I need to contact HWA. So, I gave a call to HWA. Said ... my part has been shipped so I could get it soon. Yes~ So, I asked its tracking number and she said she just sent an email to me for it. But ... there was no email and no package to me. So, I gave a call to HWA after 4 days. Said ... it needs to be approved by the other department of HWA but she doesn't have a contact to the department. She said this, indeed, haha. Then, she said, "So ... you need to wait a couple of weeks more or contact the service provider," then she tried to hang up the call. Haha. So, I complained about all this nonsense, of course. Then, she said, she will make the service provider to check the current status and then give a call to me in today (that day). Then, again nothing happened, of course.

Today I gave a call to HWA again. Said ... nothing happened for the order of the part at all for now on. Haha, how do every operators tell a different story? She said, it will take 3-4 days to be approved and then delivered at least. How I know whether the representative did something real for my claim. But, one sure thing I could know is, the part won't be delivered even this week for sure. This is my story for now on with HWA. I shouldn't count on this warranty company.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

I was sold a home warranty through the purchase of my home in 2019. I have had nothing but problems and challenges with Home Warranty of America. When you file a claim online you're almost always denied. When I call to speak to a representative I am on hold at least 20 minutes only for a person to answer that doesn't speak English very well. Most recently, I tried to file a claim for my HVAC system that was recently installed through another claim in May of this year. Now the heat pump is not working, there is an electrical issue with it. Home Warranty of America is telling me to call the Manufacturer. The Manufacturer only covers the costs of the part NOT LABOR. HWA's claims are now managed by AIG! So, I have been volleyed from representative to representative with no resolve. I have no heat in my home going on over 24 hours and it looks like I will not have any until after the weekend if then! It's winter here!

I already paid $125 directly to the company that installed the HVAC unit and air handler trying to expedite the repair process. HWA will not pay their labor to fix my HVAC unit! I was told when the manufacturer's warranty expires then they will pay the labor for it to be fixed!! What good is it paying a home warranty for? The unit was installed by a HWA vendor! Now that they have merged with AIG for the handling of their claims the service has gotten 100x worst. Do not buy anything from Home Warranty of America or AIG! I don't care if they're selling cold water in hell! Stay away! All they do is collect your premiums and offer little in return. My home will now be cold for however long until I either pay for the labor which is upwards of an additional $250 in addition to the $125 that I have already paid. I will be reaching out to a lawyer on Monday to see what my rights are and to possibly sue for my money back!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

Signing up with Home Warranty of America was easy and smooth. I have a few warranties with them. So, everything's fine.

Home Warranty of America response

Thank you, Jolita, for taking the time to leave a great review and rating! At Home Warranty of America, we strive to meet the needs of all our customers. If there is ever anything we can do in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us. - Caroline/Digital Care

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

I am a senior. My washing machine stopped working in late October. The first week in November I called for help through my platinum plan with HWA. Was referred to a service provider who said they would be out on November 5th. Later got a call that the part they ordered was not in so they would not be out. (How could they order a part when no one had seen the washer?). Finally got notified the part was in and the service guy would be there on the 18th. Had to take off from work from 1 - 6 pm. Guy showed up at 4. No part. He just looked at the washer and said it would be a total rebuild. As of today, other than the service provider texting me that the parts were not in, no communication from HWA. Today I called. Parts on back order.

I am 66 years old. Have to go to a laundromat in the dark in a dangerous city after work. This is NOT what I paid HWA to keep me and my appliances safe. Still no resolution after 30 minutes today with HWA. They say to wait another 3 to 5 days for a call. So now it is more than a month since I can wash anything. I can only warn others NOT TO USE HWA.

Take a Home Warranty Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Home Warranty of America Company Information