1.2/5 (42 ratings)
Availability
50 states

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

About Home Warranty of America

Home Warranty of America Inc. offers warranty plans that protect you from the high cost of unexpected repair bills. The company also provides quick repairs from its network of qualified service technicians. You can choose from one of Home Warranty of America’s two plans that cover more than 20 systems to find a solution that works best for you.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans near you

Pros

• High coverage limits
    • Nationwide coverage
    • ENERGY STAR appliance upgrades

Cons

• Scheduling wait time

Bottom Line

Home Warranty of America provides advanced coverage options at reasonable rates. While it can take up to 48 hours to schedule a service, benefits like ENERGY STAR-certified appliance upgrades really set the company apart.

Top Home Warranty of America Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?

Verified

Submitting a claim to HWA is very simple and easy. Everybody has been professional, and they usually give a time when the contractor will contact us. I’m very satisfied with them....

Verified

I just call them and they send quality people out, and they take care of it. The techs don't give up. They keep going until they get the thing fixed, and that's greatly appreciate...

Home Warranty of America plans

Home Warranty of America has been protecting homeowners, buyers and sellers for decades. The company has multiple coverage options to let you choose what best suits your needs. Home Warranty of America offers warranties in all 50 states and has a network of service professionals. For existing homeowners, Home Warranty of America offers two levels of coverage.

Premier: The Premier plan is the most affordable plan for existing homeowners. It covers more than 20 major household systems and appliances, and you can add coverage for individual items such as well pumps, stand-alone refrigerators and more.

Premier Plus: The Premier Plus plan covers all major systems and appliances, including air conditioning (which isn’t covered by Premier). It includes the company’s Premium Coverage option, which adds 25 additional items, such as plumbing fixtures and toilet replacement.

Both of these plans have 13-month warranty periods. You can also add GreenPlus, which qualifies you to replace old appliances with energy-efficient models, and OrangePlus, which covers additional components and services, including water softeners and re-keying services.

Home Warranty of America also has home warranty plans for those buying or selling a home. Under these plans, coverage options may vary by state. The company offers 13-month coverage contracts in its Gold, Platinum and Diamond Plans with optional sellers’ and buyers’ coverages. These plans can only be purchased by a real estate agent.

Home Warranty of America cost

The price range of Home Warranty of America’s plans is $43 per month to $55.31 per month. Costs vary based on the trade call service fee option chosen ($75 or $100) as well as any add-on protections.

Home Warranty of America provides 13-month terms — most other home warranty companies only have 12-month contracts. The higher of its two service call fee options is on the pricier side at $100, but it's not out of the average range for the industry, which is $60 to $125.

Home Warranty of America coverage

The Premier plan provides protection for the following items:

• Built-in microwaves
    • Washers/dryers
    • Water heaters
    • Whirlpool bathtubs
    • Air conditioning

The Premier Plus plan is the more comprehensive choice for existing homeowners to consider. The plan covers everything included in the Premier Plan plus additional items, including increased protection for toilet replacement, plumbing fixtures, faucets and showerheads.

Optional add-on coverage is available at an extra cost for the following items:

ItemCost per month
    Pool/spa combos and saltwater pools$11.54
    Roof leak repair and septic tank pumping$3.85
    Second refrigerator/stand-alone freezer$2.69
    SEER/R-410A modifications$5.77
    Septic system$3.86
    Well pump$6.54

Home Warranty of America also offers two add-on packages, both for $5.77 per month.

The GreenPlus add-on includes coverage to upgrade appliance replacements with ENERGY STAR-qualified products. This includes dishwashers, refrigerators, clothes washers, heating system replacement and water heaters.

The OrangePlus add-on includes coverage for water softeners and re-keying services, provides for the removal of defective equipment at no extra charge and increases coverage limits for the following items:

• Code violations/permits up to $250
    • Professional-series appliances up to $2,000
    • Toilet replacement up to $600

Home Warranty of America coverage exclusions

In some instances, there are parts of otherwise covered items that will be excluded from coverage. It’s important to read your contract to fully understand what coverage for each item truly entails.

Home Warranty of America does specify some coverage exclusions, which is typical for all home warranty service plans. Often, parts that are not essential to the item performing its core function may be excluded. For example, dishwashers are covered by both of HWA’s plans, but racks, baskets, rollers and door seals are not covered. Similarly, the electrical system coverage won’t cover items like fixtures.

You can find a full list of exclusions on Home Warranty of America's sample contract.

Home Warranty of America coverage limits

Home Warranty of America’s coverage limits per term are no more than $5,000 per covered item or $15,000 total per contract term. None of its plans cover preexisting conditions, which is standard in the industry.

Specific coverage limits and maximum payouts depend on the appliance or system in need of repair or replacement — these are outlined in the chart below.

ItemHome Warranty of America’s coverage limit
    Electrical or plumbing rust and corrosion$2,000
    Heating systems, tankless water heaters, well pumps and saltwater pool equipment$1,500
    In-ground pool and spa equipment, water heaters and stand-alone ice makers or freezers$1,000
    Ductwork and plumbing systems$1,000 for inaccessible items
    Roof leak repair, septic systems, toilets and water softeners$500
    Burglar and fire alarm systems, ceiling and exhaust fans and central vacuums$400
    Refrigerant$10/pound

Home Warranty of America claims

Claims can be submitted online or through the company’s toll-free number 24/7, including holidays. Emergency services can be rushed at HWA’s discretion. Someone over the age of 18 must be present in the home during the repair.

To request service from Home Warranty of America:

1. Submit a claim online or over the phone as soon as an issue is discovered.
    2. HWA will contact an authorized technician within 48 hours to schedule your requested repair.
    3. Pay the service call fee ($75 or $100, depending on your plan).

Should the repair fail or the same issue reoccur within the service recall period (90 days on parts and 30 days on labor), HWA will send a technician to complete new repairs without charging you a service fee or any other additional costs.

Frequently asked questions

What is Home Warranty of America’s premium coverage option?
    Premium coverage expands your standard coverage to include protection for equipment and parts that aren’t standard to home warranty contracts, including fixtures and accessories like showerheads or dishwasher racks. The plan option covers more than 30 items.
    What is Home Warranty of America’s cancellation policy?
    You can cancel your contract at any time, but you need to cancel within 30 days to receive a full refund. If you cancel after 30 days, you’ll need to pay a cancellation fee of $30 or 10% of the contract fee, whichever is less. Overall, we’ve seen far higher cancellation fees among other companies.
    Is a home inspection required by Home Warranty of America?
    No inspection is required, and the company states you will not be denied coverage based on the age of your home, systems or appliances.

Is Home Warranty of America a good company?

Home Warranty of America has several aspects that stand out and make it a good option for homeowners looking for coverage for their systems and appliances.

The company’s Premier and Premier Plus plans offer substantial coverage for homeowners. Our favorite features include the Premier Protection plan, which adds coverage for parts like fixtures and appliance accessories. This coverage is not common to home warranty service plans, and it’s an affordable add-on that increases the value of your contract. Additionally, the GreenPlus and OrangePlus add-ons make Home Warranty of America an inclusive provider.

Home Warranty of America Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

BUYERS BEWARE. This company does not cover anything as they have stated in their advertisement. I have been 2 months without a stove. I have been with them since 2016 never filed a claim until now. They ignore phone calls and emails. They are frauds.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

This company is a nightmare! Stay away. It’s saddens me be I I have been a customer for 5 years. In these 5 years I have not had issues. Until this claim. They changed their claims management team. There is no manager or supervisor you can talk to, they put a request and they have 24/48 hours to call you back. I reported a claim for a washer not functioning, they gave me the 1 appointment available Wednesday. The tech advised the part was on back order. I patiently waited 1.5 and no news on the part. I called HWA and they said, "Oh you need to wait another week, once that week is completed we will look at what options there are ."

Per the tech the manufacturer advised there is no eta on the part, that it can take an excess of 4-6 wks. Tech provided this information to HWA and they are now stating that I will need to wait for the part even though there is no eta. I asked, what happens if it takes 6 months and they said They reserve the right to wait those 6 months. This is unbelievable! Who can hold off on washing for a total of 9 weeks! I was convinced that HWA was a resource homeowners could count on on actually repairing the issues, but on the contrary, it’s going to cost me more to have my clothes washed than it is to buy a new washer. What a loss, they used to be good.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2022

Long story short - we had a plumbing leak. Scheduled 3 technicians, each a no show. HWA offered us their Reimbursement Option since they were having trouble finding a tech. Fine, we called Roto-Rooter and they replaced the faucet. When the claim for reimbursement was filed, it was denied! Saying they'd have to pre-approve the repair. THIS WAS NOT STATED PREVIOUSLY. So I'm out nearly $400. But it gets better, air conditioning had a clog. They sent a tech out, tech wanted $75 cash. It's better to spend more on a premium with a reputable company than deal with this fly-by-night sham of a business! Renew my policy? KMA!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2022

It was a very great experience, that I had with them. It was explain well and the service was not bad for the price. The Home Warranty was a great choice and I’m glad that I got it. The customer service was good.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

I used Home Warranty of America. My freezer stopped working. First time a tech came out and took my money. He lied and said he couldn't contact the company over the weekend. Not true. After repeated calls and promises of multiple techs, nothing. I then asked the company to resend me the form for me to hire my own tech and they refused. They also refused to let me speak to a supervisor. My last conversation, I was told that after already waiting 2 weeks, that they would try another tech but not for 2 weeks. He told me that they don't do emergency work and they can do what they want because it says so in their contract. PS, this is an abbreviated experience.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

I purchased a dishwasher in 2017 for $449.00 and it no longer works, on internet today, same dishwasher is $449.00, but HWA only wants to cover a dishwasher that costs $246.00 -- I cannot find even the basic strip-down model for $246.00. DO NOT contract with HWA - they DO NOT cover replacements like the my contract says. I have the highest cost/coverage contract.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2022

I have made a few claims and every one has had an issue with the contractor assigned to my house. I am currently in my 3rd week without working AC system because the contractor ghosted us. They reassigned to another contractor who has now canceled on us twice. I called the warranty company and asked to speak to a manager and they refused and I was told I cannot speak to a manager there is no transferring or email or phone number. I assume I have to hire an attorney at this point. I will have to just call out a reputable company to fix the problem and sue the warranty company. I do not recommend this company. I will look for another company when the policy is up. I am glad the person who sold us our house paid for this one.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2022

They will not help you, they do not care, they are not a good company. They are under no obligation to provide the service you pay for. They will give you the run around and all they will say is “sorry for the inconvenience”. They are not affiliated with any plumbers. They use Lowe’s but do not send the orders to Lowe’s you have to call and stay on top of it. They do not understand when you talk about what’s going on. They don’t know the difference between hvac system and dryer vents. You will spend a lot of money for very little satisfaction.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2022

I have been paying them for over 5 years, I have the gold plan, which supposed to cover washer/dryer/ AC etc, pretty much the major appliance, which in their advertisement states “help you with thousands of dollars.” Lies!!! Every time I’ve called them they sent someone out paid 100, to get denied.. Same story “we don’t cover that part”. This company just takes your money and don’t deliver! Might as well save that money in a jar because these people will not help you! Honestly they are scammers in my opinion.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2022

We had the Diamond Plan with HWA. Our dishwasher malfunctioned and caught fire, immediately knew it would be a write off. It took 2 weeks to get a service tech out to confirm this. It cost $100 for them to come out. HWA does not replace kitchen appliances anymore apparently? In lieu of replacement they send you money for the appliance, of which they don't send out anymore. They offered us $246 on a Lowe's gift card, the cheapest dishwasher Lowe's offered at the time of writing this is $410. Also us having to spend the $100 for the service it's really only worth $146.

You can escalate and speak with case managers, but they just tell you they don't send appliances out but yet give you money based on what THEY could get the appliance for. Even though No one out there sells a comparable dishwasher for $246. "An HWA Home Warranty protects you from the expenses of repairs or replacements of major mechanical systems and appliances that break down due to normal wear and tear during the coverage term." - A lie from the HWA website.

Take a Home Warranty Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Home Warranty of America Company Information

www.hwahomewarranty.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: