Home Warranty of America

Choice Home Warranty

Choice Home Warranty Reviews

View Plan

About Home Warranty of America

Home Warranty of America offers warranty plans that protect you from the high cost of unexpected repair bills. The company provides repairs from its network of qualified service technicians. You can choose from one of Home Warranty of America’s two plans that cover more than 20 systems and appliances to find a solution that works best for you.

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • High coverage limits
    • Nationwide coverage
    • Energy Star appliance upgrades
    Cons
    • Wait times for scheduling
    • Some reviewers were unhappy with customer service

Featured Reviews

Verified
    Lubbock, TX

Claim made 6/25/2023 about Central A/C not cooling. … 1st tech did nothing so I called and claim was reassigned & 2nd tech was a no show. No expediting the 3rd claim and still wai...

Verified
    West Bloomfield, MI

Home Warranty of America recently got purchased, so the whole process has changed and has become very difficult to manage. … I'm very frustrated with their process and their servi...

Home Warranty of America coverage

Home Warranty of America has multiple coverage options, so you can choose what best suits your needs. The company offers warranties in all 50 states and has a network of service professionals. For existing homeowners, Home Warranty of America offers two levels of coverage:

• Premier: The Premier Plan is the most affordable plan for existing homeowners. It covers more than 20 major household systems and appliances, and you can add coverage for individual items such as well pumps, stand-alone refrigerators and more.
    • Premier Plus: The Premier Plus Plan covers all major systems and appliances, including air conditioning (which isn’t covered by Premier).

Both of these plans have 13-month warranty periods. You can also add GreenPlus, which qualifies you to replace old appliances with energy-efficient models, and OrangePlus, which covers additional components and services, including water softeners and re-keying services.

Home Warranty of America also has home warranty plans for those buying or selling a home. Under these plans, coverage options may vary by state. The company offers 13-month coverage contracts in its Gold, Platinum and Diamond Plans with optional sellers’ and buyers’ coverages. These plans can only be purchased by a real estate agent.

Plans

The Premier and Premier Plus Plan provide protection for the following items:

Optional add-on coverage is available at an extra cost for the following items:

• Limited roof leak repair
    • Pool/spa combo
    • Saltwater pool (includes pool/spa combo)
    • Well pump
    • Septic tank pumping
    • Second refrigerator
    • Stand-alone freezer
    • SEER/R-410A modifications
    • Septic system
    • Sprinkler system

Home Warranty of America cost

The cost of Home Warranty of America’s plans vary based on your location and the trade call service fee option you choose ($75 or $100) as well as any add-on protections. We requested a quote for a less than 5,000 square foot home in Houston, Texas, and received the following prices for each plan:

• Premier Plan: $45.83 per month
    • Premier Plus Plan: $58.33 per month

We also received the following prices for optional add-on coverage:

For a home in Houston, Texas, at the time of publishing. Price may vary by location.

Home Warranty of America provides 13-month terms — most other home warranty companies only have 12-month contracts. The higher of its two service call fee options is on the pricier side at $100, but it's not out of the average range for the industry, which is $60 to $125.

Home Warranty of America coverage exclusions

In some instances, there are parts of otherwise covered items that will be excluded from coverage. It’s important to read your contract to fully understand what coverage for each item truly entails.

Home Warranty of America does specify some coverage exclusions, which is typical for all home warranty service plans. Often, parts that are not essential to the item performing its core function may be excluded. For example, dishwashers are covered by both of HWA’s plans, but racks, baskets, rollers and door seals are not covered. Similarly, the electrical system coverage won’t cover items like fixtures.

You can find a full list of exclusions in Home Warranty of America's sample contract.

Home Warranty of America claims and coverage limits

Claims can be submitted online or through the company’s toll-free number 24/7, including holidays. Emergency services can be rushed at HWA’s discretion. Someone over the age of 18 must be present in the home during the repair.

To request service from Home Warranty of America:

1. Submit a claim online or over the phone as soon as an issue is discovered.
    2. HWA will contact an authorized technician within 48 hours to schedule your requested repair.
    3. Pay the service call fee ($75 or $100, depending on your plan).

Should the repair fail or the same issue reoccur within the service recall period, HWA will send a technician to complete new repairs without charging you a service fee or any additional costs.

Coverage limits

Home Warranty of America’s coverage limits per term are no more than $5,000 per covered item or $15,000 total per contract term. None of its plans cover preexisting conditions, which is standard in the industry.

Specific coverage limits and maximum payouts depend on the appliance or system in need of repair or replacement — these are outlined in the chart below.

Home Warranty of America FAQ

Is Home Warranty of America legit?

Home Warranty of America has several aspects that stand out and make it a good option for homeowners looking for system and appliance coverage.

The company’s Premier and Premier Plus plans offer substantial coverage for homeowners, and you can opt for affordable add-ons that increases the value of your contract.

What is Home Warranty of America?

Home Warranty of America is a home warranty company that offers both buyers and sellers coverage. It is available nationwide.

How does Home Warranty of America work?

Customers choose the coverage plan and add-ons they would like before entering a contract with Home Warranty of America. They can then file a claim when they need service performed on any of the covered items in their home.

Where is Home Warranty of America available?

Home Warranty of America is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.

Does Home Warranty of America require a home inspection?

No inspection is required, and the company states you will not be denied coverage based on the age of your home, systems or appliances.

What is Home Warranty of America’s cancellation policy?

You can cancel your contract at any time, but you need to cancel within 30 days to receive a full refund. If you cancel after 30 days, you’ll need to pay a cancellation fee of $30 or 10% of the contract fee, whichever is less. Overall, we’ve seen far higher cancellation fees among other companies.

What is Home Warranty of America’s premium coverage option?

Premium coverage expands your standard coverage to include protection for equipment and parts that aren’t standard to home warranty contracts, including fixtures and accessories like showerheads or dishwasher racks. The plan covers more than 30 items.

How does Home Warranty of America compare?

Quick and easy. Find a home warranty partner now.

View Pricing

Home Warranty of America Reviews

Stars Rating

• 2%
    • 98%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?
      Customer Service

Reviewed June 7, 2024

HWA Home Warranty sent repairmen to my house two times to fix a small leak in my dishwasher, which cost me $100. The first one said he fixed it (it turns out he just put putty in the area where there was a leak). A few months later, the leak started again and I reached out again. They sent a second repairman. While he was here, he managed to damage the dishwasher beyond repair, caused a flood in my kitchen and then left. HWA's response to me was, "we side with our technician." So, remember this consumers. HWA will always side with the shady local repair person if there is ever an issue. They will not look out for you.

Claims HandlingSales & Marketing

Reviewed June 7, 2024

Total scam. They find the most absurd reasons to deny rightful claims. In our case, our fridge was failing because a door gasket had worn out. They said the gasket was "ripped", and therefore did not constitute normal wear and tear. Absolutely ridiculous.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Claims HandlingCoverage

Reviewed June 6, 2024

They are not the same company, they got bought out. My AC was new 4 years and was replaced by HWA before they got bought out. AC just broke again a copper pipe cracked in the outside unit. They denied the claim because they don't cover damage? What the heck do they cover then? Every failure is most likely some type of damage. DO NOT USE HWA!!

CoverageSales & MarketingPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed June 6, 2024

This is a scam company. We purchased a home warranty from HWA which covered our water heater. When the water heater started leaking we called them, they arranged for a technician to come who recommended replacing the unit. They recommended instead an inappropriate repair at which point the technician cancelled their contract with HWA. This happened a second time. Weeks passed. After complaining they offered to simply cancel our warranty if we were unsatisfied. Their second offer was that we could do the leg work of getting technicians to our house so that they could presumably again deny replacement of our covered water heater. Absolute waste of time, money, energy.

Verified purchase
        Customer ServiceClaims HandlingTechSales & MarketingRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed May 26, 2024

If zero were stars that’s what they should get. This place is scam. They basically took my money for 2 years, I filed a claim for my AC. they told me they couldn’t find a technician, to call my own, so I did that. The technician sent everything and after 2 months of no response I had to pay to get it fixed and now they refuse to reimburse. Their customer service is a joke. They have no problem lying right to you. Never use this company. They are basically just stealing from you.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingCoverageTechRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed May 23, 2024

Purchased a home in July of 2023 and paid $930 for the most comprehensive plan. Filed a claim for toilet running - no tech ever dispatched and had to take care of it myself. Filed claim for AC and no technician ever dispatched, had to find my own tech and repair again. Then when I had an electrical issue, it took multiple attempts and 2 months before they sent a tech after initial claim.

Most recently, I filed a claim for a sparking microwave on 3/21/2024. Tech came out, diagnosed that it was not repairable and they were sending in the report. I checked on the status on 4/3 and again on 4/11 at which time they told me the tech said I refused to pay the service fee. This was incorrect as the fee was paid and I offered documentation that payment was processed by the technician. The HWA rep said she would let me know if they needed any additional information from me and apologized for the inconvenience.

Fast forward to 5/21/24 with a call to follow up. Now they said because it has been more than 30 days since they heard from the technician that they had to close the claim and they are unable to reopen it. They said I would have to file a new claim and would also have to pay the $100 service fee again. Not being able to reopen the claim after 30 days is not believable. It is not realistic to believe they are locked out of their own system. Each person I spoke to stated I did nothing wrong. They each said HWA dropped the ball, however that there is nothing they can do other than discount the repeat service call to $75, understand I already paid $100

The tech (Sears A&E Factory) told me he reported it as not repairable and that it was a fire hazard and we could not use it and that they would just have to reimburse me for a replacement. The tech showed me that it was approved for repair or replacement up to $250. Since HWA had not been quick to address things timely and it had been close to a month that we had been without a microwave, I replaced it, trusting that eventually I would receive the reimbursement from HWA, not that $250 would cover the total cost.

Now they are telling me that because I replaced it, voided the claim. If it was approved on 3/22/24 for repair or replacement up to $250, then HWA should at a minimum honor that. Further, I spoke to "Nick the Resolution Manager in Florida", as he reported his title. He refused to let me speak to his supervisor. He insisted that he reported directly to the CEO. I have reviewed the org chart and he is not even in the top 20. I do not ever appreciate being lied to. I am seeking resolution.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingTech

Reviewed May 19, 2024

They assigned a company to assess my HVAC in mid January 2024. Well it is May 2024 and they have not fixed it yet. In February, I was told the part was on back order until 2/15. On March 1st I texted the company they assigned for a status, same response waiting on part. 3/26 called and left a message, they texted saying they were checking the status of my claim with HWA. I requested an update from repairman on 3/27, now they say they are waiting on authorization from the HWA. April 1st I contacted the HWA. They put me on hold to contact the repair company. Turns out they were waiting on payment from the HWA.

HWA tells me they have now been paid and will be at my home on 4/2nd at 1 pm. Immediately after the 4/1st call, I sent a text for repairman to confirm they would be here, they did not respond. 4/4th the repairman sent a text at 11:37 am stating they would be here at 3pm. They did NOT show up or call. 4/9th and 4/12th I sent text and they still have not responded. Contacted HWA on 4/12th. Again they contact repairman and tell me they will be at my home on 4/16th. They did not call or show up again. 5/18th I reached out to HWA again.

The representative tells me to give the company another chance or I would have to another $75 to have another company come out. WHAT! I have been out of heat and AC since January, following up with the company you selected with no satisfaction. I AM THE CUSTOMER. I HAVE BEEN INCONVENIENCED! HWA does not have an escalation process in place to accommodate customers. The customer service people are rude and condescending. It appears the take your money and jack you around for months with no resolutions. Realtors should not recommend this company.

TechPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed May 7, 2024

I have been trying to get my toilet fixed for almost 3 months. 1st guy they sent misdiagnosed and HWA wouldn't approve. 2 guy 2 months later fixed it. But now the tech is harassing me for his money because he says HWA is too hard to deal with. This is the latest experience. I tried to get their assistance 2 other times and was unsuccessful. Run from this company.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingCoverageTechPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed April 29, 2024

We tried on four occasions to utilize a claim only to be told finally on the fourth attempt that they were sorry but that the coverage did not include a standalone downdraft vent on our cooktop. They scheduled twice with us to send someone and no one ever came. On one occasion, I took two hours off of work to wait for the technician that never showed up, called or rescheduled. Really bad service! I will never utilize them again and never refer them to any realtor and suggest to all realtor stay away from this company and warranty.

Tech

Reviewed April 25, 2024

Should have read all the reviews before buying another warranty with this company. They are the joke everyone states they are. After trying to get a plumbing problem resolved for a month I was finally told that technician they sent stated there was nothing wrong with the toilet. Why then did the technician tell me the toilet needed to be replaced? They gave me a phone number to their "resolution team" that was actually to Choice Home Warranty. I was finally given a phone number to another department and was told that the toilet could not be replaced. They give you the run around then refuse to replace anything. I will never use them again, and if you are reading this review and are trying to decide what home warranty company to use, I suggest you move on to the next company. Do not use them!

Quick and easy. Find a home warranty partner now.

Home Warranty of America Company Information

Home Warranty of America
          www.hwahomewarranty.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: