2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.22/5

At Home Warranty of America, Inc. we have built our business on simplifying the lives of our customers and helping them immediately, in times of great need and uncertainty. We strive to always offer our customers fast, easy solutions with our network of qualified service technicians.

Home Warranty of America specializes in home warranty plans, real estate, home sellers warranty, appliance warranty, and home protection plans. Whether you are planning to sell your home, buy a new one, or just staying in your home, we can save you money and time, and bring you peace of mind when you need it most. Get a free quote from us today!

View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Home Warranty of America provides advanced coverage options at a reasonable rate. While it can take up to 48 hours to schedule a service, benefits like ENERGY STAR certified appliance upgrades really set the company apart.

PROS

• ENERGY STAR appliance upgrades
  • High coverage limits
  • Nationwide coverage

CONS

• Service scheduling wait time

Top Home Warranty of America Reviews

Submitting a claim to HWA is very simple and easy. Everybody has been professional, and they usually give a time when the contractor will contact us. I’m very satisfied with them. The warranty is worth the money.

I just call them and they send quality people out, and they take care of it. The techs don't give up. They keep going until they get the thing fixed, and that's greatly appreciated. If it was something major like a washing machine or air conditioning, they would make it happen that day.

Home Warranty of America plans

Home Warranty of America has been protecting homeowners, buyers and sellers for decades. They have multiple coverage options, so customers can choose what best suits their needs. They offer warranties in 49 states (excluding California) with a trusted network of service professionals nationwide. For existing homeowners, Home Warranty of America offers two levels of coverage.

• Premier: The Premier plan is the most affordable plan for existing homeowners and covers over 20 major household systems and appliances. You can also add on optional coverage for extra individual items such as well pumps, stand-alone refrigerators and more.
  • Premier Plus: The Premier Plus plan covers all major systems and appliances. It includes their Premium Coverage option at no extra cost, which adds 25 additional items, like plumbing fixtures and toilet replacement.

Both of these plans have 13-month warranty periods. You’ll also have the option of adding GreenPlus, which qualifies customers to replace their old appliances with energy-efficient models, and OrangePlus, which covers additional components and services, including water softeners and re-key.

In addition, Home Warranty of America also offers home warranty plans for those buying or selling a home. Under these plans, coverage options may vary by state. 13-month coverage contracts are available with Gold, Platinum or Diamond Plans that each have optional sellers’ and buyers’ coverages. It’s important to note that these plans can only be purchased by a real estate agent.

Home Warranty of America cost

The average cost of Home Warranty of America’s coverage is $41–$54 per month for existing homeowners. Costs vary based on the trade call service fee option chosen ($75 or $100) as well as any add-on protections.

PlanService call feeAverage monthly cost
Premier Plan$75$44.62
 $100$41.15
Premier Plus$75$53.46
 $100$50.38

Home Warranty of America provides 13-month terms, compared with other home warranty companies who only have 12-month contracts. We find their prices to be pretty fair overall and the cost about average when it comes to industry standards. The higher of their two service call fee options is on the pricier side at $100, but not out of average range for the industry, which is $60–$125..

Home Warranty of America coverage

The Premier plan provides production for the following items:

• Built-in microwaves
  • Washers/dryers
  • Water heaters
  • Whirlpool bathtubs
  • Air conditioning

The Premier Plus plan is the more comprehensive choice for existing homeowners to consider. The plan covers everything included in the Premier Plan plus additional items including increased toilet replacement protection, plumbing fixtures, faucets and showerheads.

Optional add-on coverage is available at an extra cost for the following items:

ItemCost per month
Pool/spa combo, saltwater pools$11.54
Roof leak repair, septic tank pumping$3.85
Second refrigerator, stand-alone freezer$2.69
SEER/R-410A modifications$5.77
Septic system$3.86
Well pump$6.54

Home Warranty of America also offers two add-on packages:

The GreenPlus add-on includes coverage to upgrade appliance replacements with ENERGY STAR qualified products. Includes dishwashers, refrigerators, clothes washers, heating system replacement and water heaters.

The OrangePlus add-on includes coverage for water softeners and re-key, provides the removal of defective equipment at no extra charge and increases coverage limits for the following items:

• Code Violations/Permits up to $250
  • Professional Series Appliances up to $2,000
  • Toilet Replacement up to $600

Home Warranty of America Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I'm a first time homeowner, so I bought a policy from Home Warranty of America because I know, as a homeowner, I'm responsible for fixing everything versus renting. So, I figured it made sense to go ahead and get that. When I have a claim, I have called Home Warranty of America over the phone most of the times and everything has been fine with them. They've taken the information and had it correctly. It was just a matter of getting the vendor and to hear back from the vendor.

The very first time I filed a claim, I did it online and I was emailing back and forth with them. I was telling them that the vendors hadn't reached out to me, then they went with another vendor. But that vendor never reached out to me as well. I was also reaching out to the vendor myself at the same time. So it finally got to a point where Home Warranty of America told me that if I wanted to go my own and get the problem fixed, then they would reimburse me. But at that time, I didn't know how much anything was gonna cost and I didn't have funds lying around. Then after a couple of back and forth, I was able to reach the vendor and they were able to come out. So Home Warranty of America's online process was a long drawn-out response process. But when I talked to them on the phone, it seemed to be faster.

I’ve only used the warranty five times so far and the main times I used it were when I needed a plumbing company to come out. I’m in a small town and it seems that that vendor is the main one that Home Warranty of America use in my area. There were a couple of claims I submitted that I had to go round and round because the vendor never replied to me. When I finally contacted them, they were a small, private and family-owned business. One time, there was a wedding, so everybody was gone. The other time, there was a death in the family. They have to factor in all their family issues so they weren’t always able to get out right away or even respond. Other than that, I’ve used them four times and they are good. They even did a repair for me a month or so ago. But I need to call them back because I’m still having the issue.

Hi Jacqueline,

We appreciate your feedback! We aim for excellent customer satisfaction and we are happy to hear we were able to satisfy your home warranty needs. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us by phone or live chat should you need our assistance. Thank you and have a pleasant day!

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 6, 2019

We bought our house and our real estate agent bought us a warranty with Home Warranty of America. We had it for the first two years we were in the house. But we let it lapse. There were several things that led up to me looking for another policy. Our upstairs HVAC went bad and we didn't have heat on the second floor of the house. This is a livable bedroom and my kid's bedroom. As I talked to and worked through with multiple people on different levels, I was repeatedly told the same thing. "It's a bonus space. We can't cover it. The decision's made. It's final. There's nothing you can do." It was like they were reading off canned responses.

I reached out to the person who dealt with us when we had our downstairs intake replaced when we took from oil to air handler. I sent her an email along with pictures and asked her to please help us. Once I reached out to that person, she forwarded it to the local rep who took care of it right then. It was a process to get through to that local rep. I was a little disgruntled. But they took care of the issue. They were very professional once they realize that it was livable space.

But I started looking for another warranty company and I found what I thought was a cheaper and better policy. You get what you pay for. When I called because our dishwasher went bad, it turned out it was a non-issue. They said they were not covering it. It's too old and they were not replacing it. This was despite being one of those things that we had agreed on when we signed up for the new policy. We bought an older home with appliances that we knew we're gonna need to be replaced. Because of that, I cancelled the policy right away and went back to Home Warranty of America. They had taken better care of us than this other company. They have been good for us.

I filed a claim on my dad's house because we're also covering his house. Home Warranty of America was very responsive. They took care of the issue and they were very professional. They sent me somebody for the HVAC at my dad's. I'm very pleased. I'm not quite sure what the change is, but there is a different responsiveness this time. Maybe there were corporate changes. What I do know is when I called to file the claim for my dad's house, the whole attitude was very different.

The first time when the HVAC went bad, that was a process and that was covered. It was also a process just to get somebody to come to my house. They had one person that was from Maryland that they assigned to our case. But this time, it was different. Maybe HWA has a different company working with them. It's a different process. The customer service aspect that I hold so highly has been addressed and taken care of.

Home Warranty of America response

Good afternoon, Sarah. We are sorry to hear of the frustration and upset you experienced with our claims process. Our goal is to always make this process as simple and efficient as possible, and we hate to hear that didn't happen in your case. As for coverage, once a claim is submitted, a technician will come out to officially diagnosis the problem. The coverage decision will be based on the technician's diagnosis, recommended solution and the contract terms. Please know that we are here to help, and we hope you won't hesitate to conact us should you need anything! Thank you for sharing this feedback with us, Sarah, and have a wondeful day!

Original review: May 16, 2019

We had two options for home warranty when we bought our house. We went with Home Warranty of America because there were more options to choose from and it was more flexible. It was a little bit more expensive, but they covered a lot more things than the other company. When we signed up, we just did one phone call, verified some information, and then we were ready to go. When we renewed last year, they called me, which was really nice and very convenient. The sales rep was very, very nice. So, we had a very good experience.

We have submitted two claims. I was able to use their website and to file my first claim. They were able to schedule somebody for me to come out and took care of the issue, which wasn’t a problem. And that all worked very easily. So, using their web interface was very simple. For the second claim, they didn’t have anybody available for at least a month, and it was an air conditioner issue, so it really had to get resolved quickly. I ended up having to schedule someone individually on my side. That was a little bit more complicated being that a lot of our local providers don’t wanna work with the warranty company because you have to call them and you have to verify and validate. The company that I went through to do the work was very reluctant and very negative about home warranty companies, which doesn’t really speak of Home Warranty of America so much as it does of the person and the company that did the work for us. As a result of that, we won't be using that particular company anymore.

The hard part from a claims perspective is I actually never placed that second claim. It ended up not costing me very much and never failed the claim because we tried to call, we couldn’t get through, and the wait times were more than two minutes, which I personally didn't think was excessive. I work in a call center, so I know what wait times were like. It was just that level of impatience of the person who fixed it made it seem like a lot longer. So, the first claim experience was really, really good, and very quick, and very simple when they scheduled somebody. But when I scheduled somebody for the second claim, my experience was not nearly as good.

Home Warranty of America could do a better job of being out in the community of providers and talking about their services, giving out phone numbers, and helping those providers understand that they are providing a service to their clients. They could also do a better job of giving the homeowner information about the things that we need to tell the local contractor when we first call them to make sure the technician is aware and up to speed on what they need to do. It would take a lot of the burden off of the homeowner because the people who come out to fix it wanna have a good rapport with the client as well.

The peace of mind of having Home Warranty of America has been really great because home repairs can be very expensive, especially if you have to replace an air conditioner or a heating system. We haven't really had to utilize at all that much, but in retrospect, it's not that expensive for the peace of mind that you get knowing that it's gonna get fixed. We have a particular thing on our policy that if our air conditioner went out and it needed to be entirely replaced, it would be replaced with an energy-efficient appliance as well of our choosing. Home Warranty of America makes it easy to get the coverage and to keep the coverage that you need, and they also do a good job of notifying you when your policy renews. So, they do a good level of communication.

Good Morning Kelly,

We appreciate you taking the time out of your day to provide an exceptional rating based on your personal experience with us. We are working diligently to improve processes within our company to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction. Please feel free to reach out to one of our live chat agents at www.hwahomewarranty.com with your full contact information should you ever need our assistance. Thank you again and have an amazing day!

Original review: May 13, 2019

I already had Home Warranty of America, so I just renewed it. At first, submitting a claim went fairly easy. The one thing that concerns me is the fact that it started out really good, and then, stuff started coming off of it. For instance, the first year, our roof was covered. And then they had me upgrade it because we had a water softener and it was covered. Everything was covered. On the second year, all of a sudden, those things disappeared, and I didn’t get a notification of it disappearing. Then when I asked a question, it was, “We don’t cover roofs in Delaware.” I told them they did because I had it in my contract. So, then, when I asked them about the water softener, they said they don’t cover those anymore.

An issue popped up with the garage door opener, and they sent me somebody that did work on it. The problem with it was he didn’t wanna work on the door because he said he had a hard time getting paid. He said, “I’ll tell you what, I’ll fix the door, this is how much it’s gonna cost.” And I said, “Well, you gonna get $100 anyway.” It was $30 more than what I would have had to pay but I needed my door fixed. So, I told him to fix the door and I’d give him the $30 more. But that's one of the issues that I’m finding with the company.

I’m getting mails and telephone calls from other companies asking me to join them. And I’m hesitant about doing that. One company said, “Well, your service fee won’t be as much.” But then as I read it on further, it all depends on the package that you got as to what the service was gonna be. So, then, I told my wife that when we had an issue with the furnace and the heating system, Home Warranty of America took care of us. We went a little bit longer than what was anticipated on getting that corrected. However, we did get it corrected.

When the furnace issue first started out, the company they sent in said they were gonna see about changing it out. And I told them this system is new. It’s a top-of-the-line system. It’s hybrid system. And it was in the dead of winter when it went out. It had actually gone out for about a month. But come to find out, we had a heat pump and our backup was the furnace. So the person that did the installation did not set the furnace up correctly, and he didn’t set the heat pump up correctly.

And what had happened was we had ran out of fuel, and we couldn’t figure out why. So, we are holding up and then we found out that it was burning gas the whole time. So, we finally got it corrected. We still use the second company that HWA sent in to do the correction. And in fact, they were here just the other day doing the service. The only thing was we didn’t know that the service part of it wasn’t on this warranty. So, I had to take out a service contract with the company that they’ll come back twice a year to check on it. So, I did that the other day.

Douglas,

Thank you for this review based on your firsthand experiences with our company. In reference to contract coverage changes, we do advise on the renewal notice to be sure to read the new contract documents carefully so that you understand any potential changes/improvements to your coverage. All items eligible for coverage may be reviewed in the online portal as well as the contract confirmation documents.

Please don't hesitate to contact us by phone at 1-888-492-7359 or by live chat at www.hwahomewarranty.com should you need our assistance or have any questions or concerns. Thank you again and have a pleasant day!

Original review: May 5, 2019

I had been with a couple of other home warranties and I found that it didn't cover enough areas and that they weren't responsive enough. And also, if you had a claim after you paid thousands of dollars, they say, "Oh, we don't wanna renew you," even with a minor claim. So I looked up Home Warranty of America and they seem to have a lot of good ratings and responses. It cost me $1,000 a year, but they seem to have a lot more coverage and I liked it. I spent a year with them. I've had my problems, but overall they're the best home warranty I've worked with.

We have 3,200 square foot house in Malibu, and the elements are always out here. And you can do as much as you can do, but at a certain point, things happen, and it's probably best to protect your appliances and your plumbing and your electrical stuff and your septic lines. All those things are covered by them. However, they have call banks in Manila or India and I get very frustrated. I'm not a racist person at all. I love everybody. I have no problem with anybody doing anything. I'm proud for anybody that can step up and become a call center person. But with that comes the responsibility of speaking, understanding and comprehending in English and learning how to articulate. When it comes to business, I wanna deal with people who can solve my problem. I don't wanna deal with people who don't understand English.

It takes me hours and hours to deal with the Filipinos or the Indians to try to get them to comprehend in English what the issue is and to try to track down the various things I'm asking them to track down and look up certain things. I always demand that they send me to a US-based supervisor. And it takes me hours and hours and hours. Ultimately, I might get to a US supervisor. I have one number from a person who covers California, who never wants to answer her phone call. She just leaves a message. But I know if I leave a message for her, she will get on the case if I give her enough stuff. But there is their problem.

Many times, they have a contractor, and that's fine. Any time, they don't have a local contractor I'll say, "Well, I have this guy I know that could do it," I say, "You should contact him." They say, "Oh, no, you have them contact us." And they say, "Oh, we don't wanna contact them because they don't pay on time. They don't do this." They need better contractors and they need to have more of them. And they can't put the onus on the client. They gotta have enough contractors in every area they service. But when the work finally gets done, it's good. HWA is the best there out there now. But I'd like to make them better. Their executives are free to call me. I'll be glad to talk to them.

Home Warranty of America response

Thank you, Marty, for taking the time for the amazing review! At Home Warranty of America, we strive to meet the needs of all of our customers. We are glad we could assist in your home repairs! We’re using your feedback to make some significant changes to our internal processes. If there is ever anything we can do in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us by phone or live chat. Have a wonderful day!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?

Original review: March 20, 2020

4 Months and No Resolution. We submitted a claim through Home Warranty of America for a Dishwasher Issue. It took weeks to get them out, they took our money, then after numerous attempts to check the status, we were told that the dishwasher was not able to be repaired, so they were going to order us a new one in. Three months later and calling once a week for a status update, nothing! Finally, they said it would be delivered by the 11th of March. Now the 20th of March and no dishwasher. No response and no answer. Total scam of a Company. Stay away at all costs. We paid for their top of the line Warranty and have been treated like they paid us to be their customer. Totally at a loss for words for how this Company can stay in business, other than ripping off Consumers.

Original review: March 20, 2020

Within a couple of months of when I bought the house the hot water tank went. HWA covered that and the sump pump. Then we had some issues with the sewer from the house to the street. They took care of it too. However, once in a while, you get a roof leak and HWA had roof coverage at one time but they took it off. Other than that, I’m very happy with them.

Original review: March 19, 2020

HWA is a completely useless home warranty company. From the beginning, we have been completely unhappy with the service AND customer service we received. In the 6 months we have lived in our home, multiple things that have broken that should have been covered by our TOP TIER warranty. However, they have denied or avoided handling multiple claims.

Our AC stopped working this week. HWA sent out a technician and, based on verbiage in the HWA contract, the repair should have been covered (or at least, partially covered). The blower stopped working. There is a chance that it may be due to some debris in part of the furnace (the AC and furnace are all the same system).

My claim was brought to a concierge level "customer service" person. The first day I spoke to her, she was rude. The second day she was much nicer and stated that the repair would be at least partially covered and she was going to try and get even more covered. Then, I did not hear from her for the rest of the day. I quoted text from the contract and forwarded it to HWA showing why the repair should be covered. When this employee finally made contact with me on the 3rd day of no AC, she said the entire claim was denied. She kept talking in circles, could not quote the contract (though I could), made it clear that HWA did not understand how my system was put together or where the issue was, etc.

I never used profanity nor raised my voice. I was adamant and asked many questions. When I asked for the denial and reasoning in writing and requested an appeal process or to share whom else I could speak to, she stated I was "stressing her out" and hung up on me. I know warranty companies are notoriously difficult to work with, but I encourage you to choose a different company for your warranty needs. I have never been more disgusted at the inept and useless employees I had to deal with through this entire process.

Original review: March 15, 2020

HWA is TERRIBLE. This experience is the worst experience I've ever had with a company. I've had a claim since December for an HVAC repair. It is now March and HWA has failed to complete to follow through with completion of work. Claims department is consistently a 45 minute wait. $100 service fee is going to be that cost even if the fix is cheaper. Sometimes, it may be more beneficial to not use claim service. The first HVAC technician warned me that there will be a delay in service due to HWA's lack of desire to fix more expensive jobs even if you're covered. They also work with smaller companies to complete jobs. One of the technicians that was scheduled to come to my home had a one star rating and read reviews of him cursing out customers. When contract is over, I will NOT use them again. This experience is TERRIBLE.

Original review: March 15, 2020

Have had to use them twice now. First was for a hot water heater replacement which ended fine but took around two weeks from start to finish, not fun. The most recent issue is still ongoing after multiple calls to HWA, the plumbing contractor, who is also terrible at communicating with their client, coming out and after five minutes informs me that they will need to contact HWA to figure out where to go from here, makes me pay the $75 service call and then leaves. Never heard back from them so I call them and am told to hash it out with HWA.

I get a different response every time I call from not covered to partially covered to fully covered and back to not covered again, and this last time was told that they will let me know when they can find someone available and will send me an email.... Two days later, nothing. So I will be back on the phone with them again Monday, another hour of my time wasted trying to get this incompetent company to fix the issue in my bathroom that they have been paid for. Would not recommend!!!!

Home Warranty of America coverage exclusions

In some instances, there are parts of otherwise covered items that will be excluded from coverage, so it’s important to read your contract to fully understand what “coverage” for each item truly entails. Home Warranty of America does specify some coverage exclusions, which is typical for all home warranty service plans. Typically parts that are not essential to the item performing its core function may be excluded. For example, while dishwashers are covered by both of HWA’s plans, racks, baskets, rollers and door seals are not covered. Similarly, the electrical system coverage won’t cover items like fixtures. You can find a full list of exclusions on Home Warranty of America's sample contract.

Home Warranty of America coverage limits

Home Warranty of America’s coverage limits per term are no more than $5,000 per covered item or $15,000 total per contract term. Standard across home warranty companies, none of their plans cover pre-existing conditions. Specific coverage limits and maximum payouts can depend on the specific appliance or system in need of repair or replacement, outlined in the chart below.

ItemHome Warranty of America’s coverage limit
    Electrical or plumbing rust and corrosion$2,000
    Heating systems, tankless water heaters, well pumps, saltwater pool equipment$1,500
    In-ground pool and spa equipment, water heaters, stand-alone ice makers or freezers$1,000
    Ductwork and plumbing systems$1,000 for inaccessible items
    Roof leak repair, septic systems, toilets, water softeners$500
    Burglar and fire alarm systems, ceiling and exhaust fans, central vacuums$400
    Refrigerant$10/pound

Home Warranty of America claims

Claims can be submitted 24/7, including holidays, online or through their toll-free number. Emergency services can be rushed at HWA’s discretion. Someone over the age of 18 must be present in the home during the repair.

How to request service from Home Warranty of America:

1. Submit a claim online or over the phone as soon as an issue is discovered.
    2. HWA will contact an authorized technician within 48 hours to schedule your requested repair.
    3. Pay the service call fee ($75 or $100, depending on your plan).

Should the repair fail or the same issue occur again within the service recall period (90 days on parts and 30 days on labor), HWA will send a technician to complete new repairs without charging you a service fee or any other additional costs.

Home Warranty of America FAQ

What is Home Warranty of America’s premium coverage option?

Premium coverage expands your standard coverage to include protection for equipment and parts that aren’t standard to home warranty contracts, namely fixtures and accessories like shower heads or dishwasher racks. The plan option covers 30+ items.

What is Home Warranty of America’s cancellation policy?

You can cancel your contract at any time but need to cancel within 30 days to receive a full refund. Cancelling after 30 days will include a small cancellation fee of $30 or 10 percent of the contract fee, whichever is less. Overall, we’ve seen far higher cancellation fees among other companies.

Is a home inspection required by Home Warranty of America?

No. No inspection is required and you will not be denied coverage based on the age of your home, systems or appliances.

Is Home Warranty of America worth it?

Home Warranty of America has several aspects that stand out and make it a good option for homeowners looking for coverage for their systems and appliances.

Home Warranty of America’s record of satisfied homeowners, focus on fast, effective and professional service and number of coverage choices, making it a top choice in home warranties. Both the Premier and the Premier Plus plans from Home Warranty of America offer substantial coverage and peace of mind for homeowners. Our favorite features include the Premier Protection plan, which adds coverage for parts like fixtures and appliance accessories. This coverage is not common to home warranty service plans, and it’s an affordable add-on that really extends the value of your contract. Additionally, the GreenPlus and OrangePlus add-ons make Home Warranty of America one of the most inclusive providers we’ve seen.

Home Warranty of America Company Information