2.86/5
Call toll free
(844) 243-4411 Visit Website

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At Home Warranty of America, Inc. we have built our business on simplifying the lives of our customers and helping them immediately, in times of great need and uncertainty. We strive to always offer our customers fast, easy solutions with our network of qualified service technicians.

Home Warranty of America specializes in home warranty plans, real estate, home sellers warranty, appliance warranty, and home protection plans. Whether you are planning to sell your home, buy a new one, or just staying in your home, we can save you money and time, and bring you peace of mind when you need it most. Get a free quote from us today!

BBBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Home Warranty of America provides advanced coverage options at a reasonable rate. While it can take up to 48 hours to schedule a service, benefits like ENERGY STAR certified appliance upgrades really set the company apart.

PROS

• ENERGY STAR appliance upgrades
  • High coverage limits
  • Nationwide coverage

CONS

• Service scheduling wait time

Top Home Warranty of America Reviews

03/01/2019

Submitting a claim to HWA is very simple and easy. Everybody has been professional, and they usually give a time when the contractor will contact us. I’m very satisfied with them. The warranty is worth the money.

02/24/2019

I just call them and they send quality people out, and they take care of it. The techs don't give up. They keep going until they get the thing fixed, and that's greatly appreciated. If it was something major like a washing machine or air conditioning, they would make it happen that day.

Home Warranty of America plans

Home Warranty of America has been protecting homeowners, buyers and sellers for decades. They have multiple coverage options, so customers can choose what best suits their needs. They offer warranties in 49 states (excluding California) with a trusted network of service professionals nationwide. For existing homeowners, Home Warranty of America offers two levels of coverage.

• Premier: The Premier plan is the most affordable plan for existing homeowners and covers over 20 major household systems and appliances. You can also add on optional coverage for extra individual items such as well pumps, stand-alone refrigerators and more.
  • Premier Plus: The Premier Plus plan covers all major systems and appliances. It includes their Premium Coverage option at no extra cost, which adds 25 additional items, like plumbing fixtures and toilet replacement.

Both of these plans have 13-month warranty periods. You’ll also have the option of adding GreenPlus, which qualifies customers to replace their old appliances with energy-efficient models, and OrangePlus, which covers additional components and services, including water softeners and re-key.

In addition, Home Warranty of America also offers home warranty plans for those buying or selling a home. Under these plans, coverage options may vary by state. 13-month coverage contracts are available with Gold, Platinum or Diamond Plans that each have optional sellers’ and buyers’ coverages. It’s important to note that these plans can only be purchased by a real estate agent.

Home Warranty of America cost

The average cost of Home Warranty of America’s coverage is $41–$54 per month for existing homeowners. Costs vary based on the trade call service fee option chosen ($75 or $100) as well as any add-on protections.

PlanService call feeAverage monthly cost
Premier Plan$75$44.62
 $100$41.15
Premier Plus$75$53.46
 $100$50.38

Home Warranty of America provides 13-month terms, compared with other home warranty companies who only have 12-month contracts. We find their prices to be pretty fair overall and the cost about average when it comes to industry standards. The higher of their two service call fee options is on the pricier side at $100, but not out of average range for the industry, which is $60–$125..

Home Warranty of America coverage

The Premier plan provides production for the following items:

• Built-in microwaves
  • Washers/dryers
  • Water heaters
  • Whirlpool bathtubs
  • Air conditioning

The Premier Plus plan is the more comprehensive choice for existing homeowners to consider. The plan covers everything included in the Premier Plan plus additional items including increased toilet replacement protection, plumbing fixtures, faucets and showerheads.

Optional add-on coverage is available at an extra cost for the following items:

ItemCost per month
Pool/spa combo, saltwater pools$11.54
Roof leak repair, septic tank pumping$3.85
Second refrigerator, stand-alone freezer$2.69
SEER/R-410A modifications$5.77
Septic system$3.86
Well pump$6.54

Home Warranty of America also offers two add-on packages:

The GreenPlus add-on includes coverage to upgrade appliance replacements with ENERGY STAR qualified products. Includes dishwashers, refrigerators, clothes washers, heating system replacement and water heaters.

The OrangePlus add-on includes coverage for water softeners and re-key, provides the removal of defective equipment at no extra charge and increases coverage limits for the following items:

• Code Violations/Permits up to $250
  • Professional Series Appliances up to $2,000
  • Toilet Replacement up to $600

2172 Home Warranty of America Consumer Reviews

View 4 featured reviews
Original review: May 16, 2019

We had two options for home warranty when we bought our house. We went with Home Warranty of America because there were more options to choose from and it was more flexible. It was a little bit more expensive, but they covered a lot more things than the other company. When we signed up, we just did one phone call, verified some information, and then we were ready to go. When we renewed last year, they called me, which was really nice and very convenient. The sales rep was very, very nice. So, we had a very good experience.

We have submitted two claims. I was able to use their website and to file my first claim. They were able to schedule somebody for me to come out and took care of the issue, which wasn’t a problem. And that all worked very easily. So, using their web interface was very simple. For the second claim, they didn’t have anybody available for at least a month, and it was an air conditioner issue, so it really had to get resolved quickly. I ended up having to schedule someone individually on my side. That was a little bit more complicated being that a lot of our local providers don’t wanna work with the warranty company because you have to call them and you have to verify and validate. The company that I went through to do the work was very reluctant and very negative about home warranty companies, which doesn’t really speak of Home Warranty of America so much as it does of the person and the company that did the work for us. As a result of that, we won't be using that particular company anymore.

The hard part from a claims perspective is I actually never placed that second claim. It ended up not costing me very much and never failed the claim because we tried to call, we couldn’t get through, and the wait times were more than two minutes, which I personally didn't think was excessive. I work in a call center, so I know what wait times were like. It was just that level of impatience of the person who fixed it made it seem like a lot longer. So, the first claim experience was really, really good, and very quick, and very simple when they scheduled somebody. But when I scheduled somebody for the second claim, my experience was not nearly as good.

Home Warranty of America could do a better job of being out in the community of providers and talking about their services, giving out phone numbers, and helping those providers understand that they are providing a service to their clients. They could also do a better job of giving the homeowner information about the things that we need to tell the local contractor when we first call them to make sure the technician is aware and up to speed on what they need to do. It would take a lot of the burden off of the homeowner because the people who come out to fix it wanna have a good rapport with the client as well.

The peace of mind of having Home Warranty of America has been really great because home repairs can be very expensive, especially if you have to replace an air conditioner or a heating system. We haven't really had to utilize at all that much, but in retrospect, it's not that expensive for the peace of mind that you get knowing that it's gonna get fixed. We have a particular thing on our policy that if our air conditioner went out and it needed to be entirely replaced, it would be replaced with an energy-efficient appliance as well of our choosing. Home Warranty of America makes it easy to get the coverage and to keep the coverage that you need, and they also do a good job of notifying you when your policy renews. So, they do a good level of communication.

Good Morning Kelly,

We appreciate you taking the time out of your day to provide an exceptional rating based on your personal experience with us. We are working diligently to improve processes within our company to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction. Please feel free to reach out to one of our live chat agents at www.hwahomewarranty.com with your full contact information should you ever need our assistance. Thank you again and have an amazing day!

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I already had Home Warranty of America, so I just renewed it. At first, submitting a claim went fairly easy. The one thing that concerns me is the fact that it started out really good, and then, stuff started coming off of it. For instance, the first year, our roof was covered. And then they had me upgrade it because we had a water softener and it was covered. Everything was covered. On the second year, all of a sudden, those things disappeared, and I didn’t get a notification of it disappearing. Then when I asked a question, it was, “We don’t cover roofs in Delaware.” I told them they did because I had it in my contract. So, then, when I asked them about the water softener, they said they don’t cover those anymore.

An issue popped up with the garage door opener, and they sent me somebody that did work on it. The problem with it was he didn’t wanna work on the door because he said he had a hard time getting paid. He said, “I’ll tell you what, I’ll fix the door, this is how much it’s gonna cost.” And I said, “Well, you gonna get $100 anyway.” It was $30 more than what I would have had to pay but I needed my door fixed. So, I told him to fix the door and I’d give him the $30 more. But that's one of the issues that I’m finding with the company.

I’m getting mails and telephone calls from other companies asking me to join them. And I’m hesitant about doing that. One company said, “Well, your service fee won’t be as much.” But then as I read it on further, it all depends on the package that you got as to what the service was gonna be. So, then, I told my wife that when we had an issue with the furnace and the heating system, Home Warranty of America took care of us. We went a little bit longer than what was anticipated on getting that corrected. However, we did get it corrected.

When the furnace issue first started out, the company they sent in said they were gonna see about changing it out. And I told them this system is new. It’s a top-of-the-line system. It’s hybrid system. And it was in the dead of winter when it went out. It had actually gone out for about a month. But come to find out, we had a heat pump and our backup was the furnace. So the person that did the installation did not set the furnace up correctly, and he didn’t set the heat pump up correctly.

And what had happened was we had ran out of fuel, and we couldn’t figure out why. So, we are holding up and then we found out that it was burning gas the whole time. So, we finally got it corrected. We still use the second company that HWA sent in to do the correction. And in fact, they were here just the other day doing the service. The only thing was we didn’t know that the service part of it wasn’t on this warranty. So, I had to take out a service contract with the company that they’ll come back twice a year to check on it. So, I did that the other day.

Douglas,

Thank you for this review based on your firsthand experiences with our company. In reference to contract coverage changes, we do advise on the renewal notice to be sure to read the new contract documents carefully so that you understand any potential changes/improvements to your coverage. All items eligible for coverage may be reviewed in the online portal as well as the contract confirmation documents.

Please don't hesitate to contact us by phone at 1-888-492-7359 or by live chat at www.hwahomewarranty.com should you need our assistance or have any questions or concerns. Thank you again and have a pleasant day!

Original review: March 2, 2019

We had made two claims to Home Warranty of America so far. The first one was about a garbage disposal that worked once, and the second time we turned on the switch, nothing happened. The contractor came, and we had to pay the $100 fee for the mechanic to come, and they replaced the garbage disposal, and they did that very quickly.

The second claim was when we ran into a problem with our refrigerator. It worked fine, but there's a control on the front of the refrigerator that tells the temperature of the refrigerator, which was 37 degrees, and the other one says the temperature of the freezer, which was set at 0. But it would change the temperature of the freezer without us touching it. It would go from 0 down to -6 in increments of 1. Then it would go from -6, it would jump back up to +8, and then it would work its way back down again. And each time it changed temperature, it would start dinging. At 3 in the morning while we were sleeping, we would hear this dinging.

Home Warranty sent out Golden & Golden and I paid them the $100 to come. First, they looked at it to determine what they felt was wrong with it. And then they came back with what they called the thermostat, and they changed it but it did not solve the problem. So, later on they determined that we were gonna get a new main circuit board for the refrigerator which was at the back of the refrigerator, but nobody could find it to replace it because the refrigerator is 13 years old, and parts aren’t readily available. I got a call from Home Warranty that they had secured a rebuilt, and they said they were gonna mail it to my home, and once I received it, I have to call Golden & Golden to come and install it, which was what we did. It also did not solve the problem. Now, we’re going into six months of this.

I called Home Warranty and told them that it has been going on a long time and asked if we could get somebody from Kenmore to come and look at it because the people from Golden & Golden were not capable of repairing it. So they sent somebody from Kenmore, and the fellow came, and he looked it. I did not have to pay him an extra charge. It was covered by my first initial payment. He told me that I might need the circuit board that goes on the front of the refrigerator where the actual temperature was changing. Then he reported that back to Home Warranty. The next thing I knew, I got a call from Home Warranty that that part was no longer available. They couldn’t find it, so they were going to give me a new refrigerator.

They offered me a specific model from GE. They offered me $1,700 cash and I could pick out my own refrigerator and then I would be paying for the installation, or I could go to either Best Buy or one of those stores, and see if I could pick out a different refrigerator, and whether or not they would cover it. So I looked in Best Buy and I found a refrigerator that was comparable to the one they offered me and bought it. They delivered and installed it, and they took the old one away. The two gentlemen that came to install it were very good. They did a very good job.

Everything worked out well. Everything is fine now because the old refrigerator was gone, no more dinging, and I have a brand new refrigerator at no cost to me since it was covered by the warranty. But Home Warranty could have done a better job of finding somebody better to resolve the problem. I felt that the claim could have been resolved a lot sooner had they had somebody more competent.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Morning, Martin. We wanted to thank you for taking some time to share your experience! We are always looking for ways to grow & improve our business, and customer feedback is a very important part of that process. We are so glad to hear the you received a new refrigerator, and that your claim was successfully resolved. Thank you, Martin, and have an awesome day! - Jack

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

The repairs were astronomical and unpredictable, so you never knew when something was going to break down so it would be more economical if I went with Home Warranty of America or any warranty company. Signing up for the service was very easy and everyone was very cooperative. They responded to any of my requests in a timely manner when I submitted claims.

However, I had one contractor go out to our location to do the job, but he didn't complete the job. He said it needed extra work. What I didn't like about it is that I had to pay the fee when they got at the door – before they do anything. It was not like they do the work, then bill you. We called them back and said that they didn't do the job that they were hired to do and they wanted to charge us another fee for going out a second time when they screwed up the first time. They said that they were going to waive the charge. It was time-consuming to get on the phone and wait for somebody to come on and get transferred to a different operator. They took our information and said that they would call us, but they never did.

I also just ordered a furnace for one of my properties. The delivery was scheduled and the installation was scheduled for last Thursday. They called and left a message and said that the delivery was on back-order, but it didn't come in. When I called, they said that the delivery had come in and I asked when the installation was going to be. They said that what happened was they were sent the wrong delivery and that they had to reorder, so they couldn't get it until the 2nd of January. I asked the rep if the problem was because they couldn't get any technicians to go out and install it or was it because the furnace was really in back-order. He said that they ordered an up-flow, but they were sent a down-flow, so they had to send it back. He also said that he just spoke to the people and they said that it would be in by the 2nd of January.

I asked when the installation schedule was. He said it was scheduled for the 2nd or the 3rd of January. I didn't like that because that was too long and the house has tenants. We made amends for the inconvenience for the tenants, but they are dragging their foot on the situation. I also have a complaint because it took them too long to okay the replacement of the furnace. The furnace was working when they went to the house and they rebuilt the air conditioner. The air condition was connected to the furnace and when they finished installing the new air conditioner, they had to disconnect the furnace. They went back to install the air conditioner, but when the tenants turned the furnace on, it wouldn't come on.

I called Home Warranty of America and they called Complete Mechanical Services. They said they would go out and check out the furnace. I told them that it was their fault that the furnace was not working because it was working when they started working on the air-con. They said that it was not their fault I needed a new furnace. Now, I'm paying $1400 for a new furnace and they wanted to buy me out. They offered me several hundred dollars and I could find someone to install the furnace myself, but I decided why I had to go through it when I already got somebody on it. I had to reschedule with the tenant. The new technician wouldn't have to go out and may not be able to get on his schedule for another week or two, so I decided to go with them.

It was the only thing I was not happy about, but everything else was fine. Home Warranty of America just took too long to make decisions if they were going to replace it. Another thing I don't like is when the technician goes out and does a job, they don't send the report to the owner. I asked Complete Mechanical Services for the report and they said that I had to get it from Home Warranty of America. When I asked Home Warranty of America to email me the reports, so I could read it and see what was wrong, they said they don't send that information out. I'm the one paying for all of this and I couldn't have a copy of the report.

I eventually found somebody else that would do the job more reasonably. It was a communication thing and a negotiating issue with Home Warranty of America. I like to get things done right away. If the tenant called and said something was wrong, I want the work done immediately. I don't want to tell the tenant, "Well, it was supposed to come in and didn't come in. Can you reschedule?" They have to disrupt their lives and reschedule and wait for me. When the rent is due, I want the rent on time, but in order to get the rent paid on time, we hav

Home Warranty of America response
Good Morning, Addison. We certainly appreciate you sharing such a detailed review with us. Feedback from our homeowners is incredibly valuable, as we utilize it to identify areas that need improvement. While we are glad to know that you are satisfied overall, it concerns us that you have experienced a lack of responsiveness at times. Our goal is always to provide an outstanding customer experience, and a big part of that is making sure to handle the claim journey as efficiently as possible. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us should you ever need assistance with moving a claim along. You can connect with our Live Chat team or send us an email directly.

Thank you for the review and 5-star rating, Addison! Have a fantastic day! - Jack

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I went with Home Warranty of America when I bought my place that I recently sold. Then when I bought a new place, I thought it was a good idea to get that insurance again. It paid off back then, so we’ll see if it pays off now. It is a convenient way to find competent individuals that can handle the matter as opposed to just picking somebody off the internet. I figured that HWA has been in the business and they dealt with these people. If they’re having trouble with the people, they no longer referred them, so they give me people that they’ve had good experience with.

I’ve submitted a couple of claims with them and I call them up to do that, which defeats all their fancy computerized systems. Their reps take down the information and later on I get somebody they called up. Then they send somebody out. So far, I’ve had very good interactions with every technician except an electrician. He said he couldn’t do the work alone, that he needed help, and this and that. Then he took off and left everything wide open. I had no idea when he was coming back.

Also, initially, the tech was supposed to be there at a certain time. But he called up and said he couldn’t make it. He rescheduled two or three times and when he came out here, he took stuff apart and everything else. Then he said he needed to have somebody else but their company couldn't send anybody. They had an excuse that one of the drivers was hit in an accident and they were down. But I told them that I needed my garage door. Everything in the garage door was shut down and I gotta open and close the garage. I couldn't wait three or four days.

I called up HWA and complained. I told them that I didn't want this guy out here and that they should send me somebody else. And they did. I was very pleased with the other electrician that came out and got it all done. I had no idea why the first electrician couldn’t handle the problem by himself because the other electrician that came after him did it all by himself. I only had to pay one deductible for that claim and I told HWA it was their problem.

All in all, I had one bad experience out of maybe six good experiences. So, I complained about him up and moved on. I would recommend getting HWA. No matter who I call out of a phone book or off the internet or anything else, they’re gonna charge a fee just to get in their car and come over, and I'd have to pay it. But I wouldn't know who I'm gonna get and what kind of work they’re gonna do for me. And when they leave, if I have a problem I can sit there and call for weeks and they’d never return a call.

With HWA, at least I have a middle person who should have some experience and has a little control over the techs because these people are with the home warranty to get more business. So, if you’re dissatisfied, the home warranty is gonna step in and at least try to do something, as HWA did on the one bad experience I had. They'd get the problem fixed and make everybody happy. I recommend Home Warranty.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Duane. We certainly appreciate you taking the time so write such a detailed and thorough review of your experiences with our company. We are glad that the one instance of having a poor interaction with the electrician was able to be resolved so quickly. We thank you for your loyalty and for the recommendation! Have a great weekend! - Jack

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?

Original review: July 12, 2019

My experience with HWA has been a NIGHTMARE. I live in Savannah GA and my AC went out after recently purchasing a home. It's summer and we have very high temperatures and humidity here. I bought a home warranty for a peace of mind but it seems I would be better off without it. It has been two weeks since my AC went out and Home Warranty of America has still not sent out a tech to look at the AC (No one will do business with them because they have a reputation for not paying their vendors). Eventually they authorized me to use a company of my choosing but refused to pay for the initial visit and after receiving the diagnosis they have been dragging their feet with excuse after excuse on why they cannot authorize the work.

It is impossible to speak with a supervisor as it is against their policy. I have been promised many call backs but I never receive them. If an appliance breaks down in the first 30 days of your policy they are very likely not going to pay for anything. It has been 95 degrees in my home for two weeks and they refuse to help at all. I spend about two hours a day on the phone with them and have yet to speak to a manager. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM.

HI Brendan,

Thank you for this review based on your firsthand experiences with our company. We sincerely apologize for the negative experience and we want to make sure that all your concerns are addressed.

Regarding coverage, once a claim is submitted, HWA reserves the right to assign a vendor to service the claim. A technician will come out to officially diagnosis the problem. The coverage will be based on the technician's diagnosis, recommended solution and the contract terms. In some cases, we may request a copy of the home inspection or maintenance report while determining coverage.

There are instances when we do not have an available vendor in the area and we offer the homeowner the ability to secure their own vendor to service the claim. The vendor must call into our authorizations department prior to any repairs being completed. The homeowner is held responsible for all upfront costs to the vendor and may be reimbursed at HWA costs which may be less than retail costs in addition to the trade call fee should the claim be covered with a paid invoice.

If you would like further clarification about, a copy of your contract's terms or have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us by phone or live chat. Thank you and have a pleasant day!

Original review: July 12, 2019

This is a very bad experience. Our AC went out. I called HWA. They assigned a contractor (One man shop) who did not call me to schedule so I called him and he said he was too busy to service me. So I called HWA and they assigned another contractor (apparently another one man shop) who did not call me so after a few hours I called him and he said he didn't know anything about my claim and could not be bothered.

Finally I asked HWA to assign my regular AC company but the foreign person I spoke to said they could only assign Missouri contractors since I lived in Missouri... However I live less than 1/4 mile from the Missouri-Kansas state line and my regular AC company is a reputable Kansas contractor. They said I could use my regular company but I would have to have them call in for authorization before they did the work and that I would have to pay them and then send in a paid invoice to HWA for a refund. I contacted my company, they sent a technician within an hour, he diagnosed the problem to be my fan motor and capacitor, I paid them their $125 service call fee (not the HWA standard $100), he estimated the repair to be $1,174 (parts and Labor). I asked my contractor to call HWA for authorization. Denied knowledge of my claim.

I drove to my contractor's office and the warranty person sat with me as I called HWA work authorization. When I got the HWA person on the line and had them acknowledge my claim, I handed the phone to the contractor person so he could explain the work required. HWA and my contractor agreed on a price of $578 for parts and labor. The contractor person ended my the phone and the HWA person told me they had authorized $578 which I would have to pay the contractor and then submit a paid invoice for reimbursement from HWA.

The work was completed and I paid the $578, then submitted a paid invoice to HWA. Now HWA says they will only reimburse me for less than $200. I have asked them to have a manager call me because their representative authorized $578. I have not received a call nor the full reimbursement. This review should be a 0 star but that is not available. I am prepared to get the contractor person I had on the phone with HWA and talk with HWA about this discrepancy but someone, who speaks clear English, and is capable of resolving this, need to call me first.

Hi David,

Upon review of your claim, as of 7/12/2019, the reimbursement is still being calculated. Reimbursements may be issued in the form of a check within 2-3 weeks or a Tango card within 3-5 business days via email once calculated and accepted by the homeowner. We certainly apologize if this information was not thoroughly explained.

Original review: July 12, 2019

We have a policy through HWA as we are getting ready to sell our house. Our air conditioning went out on 26 June. We notified HWA the same day. The repair vendor has been out twice, each time finding a new "problem". We have been w/o AC since 26 June - over two weeks now. HWA has had the latest request for approval since Monday, 8 July. They only made a determination yesterday afternoon to approve purchase of a replacement part; apparently they purchase the part, then provide it to the vendor - a process I do not pretend to understand. Meanwhile, we have been living in the basement with our two dogs during the day as fans are insufficient to cool the upstairs. Clearly, the part won't be in, much less installed until, mid-July at the earliest.

Meanwhile, we close on our house on 17 July. My wife and I have tried multiple times to get this moving; each time we get a person who has to put us on hold multiple times to "check their files" only to tell us that the decision is still in the works. This is absolutely unconscionable that HWA couldn't have approved (or even come to a decision) earlier, particularly in light of us repeatedly telling them our living conditions. I have no idea what impact this will have on other items in our house, e.g., appliances, etc. Not once during the calls was I able to get anybody from management on the phone, nor did they offer. HWA simply doesn't care about the people that are essentially its customers. I would not use them again if you paid me.

Hi Ed,

We certainly apologize for the frustration and inconvenience caused by the delay of your AC claim. We are actively working to get our customer's units back up and running as quickly as possible during this peak season.

Upon review of your claim, we show that the technician is supplying the parts. You will want to inquire with the tech in regards to the timeframe of completing your repairs.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us by phone or live chat should you have any questions or concerns. Thank you and have an amazing day!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 8, 2019

I submitted a claim almost a month ago and til this day it has not been resolved. The first vendor never called within 48 hrs so when I called the vendor, they advised that they no longer take HWA calls! Called the claims department and was assigned to another vendor which came out within a couple of days to diagnose. After checking on the part and cost, HWA was not willing to buy the part but to replace which was fine with me. They asked for pictures after about 2 weeks, sent and supposed to get a response within 48 hrs, not a peep. Now another week and half goes by, called into claims and they asked for pictures again. Of course when I asked for a supervisor, no one was available! Will not renew or recommend to anyone!

Hi Visoune,

We completely understand your frustration and apologize for the inconvenience caused by the claim delay. Regarding coverage, once a claim is submitted, HWA reserves the right to assign a vendor to service the claim. A technician will come out to officially diagnosis the problem. The coverage will be based on the technician's diagnosis, recommended solution and the contract terms. There are instances when we may request pictures or a home inspection while determining coverage. We advise 24-48 hours for any updates, however, we are currently within peak season which may cause delays in this time frame.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 4, 2019

I submitted a claim 12 days ago, it’s taken them 5 days to review my home inspection to approve my claim. I’m sitting in a hot house because they are dragging their feet to approve my AC to be fixed. I’ve never dealt with the kind of unprofessionalism as this company has shown. Every time I call I get the same response, that someone will call me in 24 hours and no one ever calls. My AC is yet to be approved to fix. I’m never dealing with them again.

Good Afternoon Lili,

It is perfectly understandable that you are upset regarding the delays in your A/C claim. Unfortunately, we are unable to give an exact time frame for each claim since it may vary on multiple factors such as: vendor availability, the diagnosed issue and potential need of parts and/or replacement orders, however, we strive to ensure that we get our homeowners' units up and running again as quickly as possible.

Upon review of your claim, you have approved the non-covered expense and the equipment has been ordered. Once the vendor has received the equipment, they will be contacting you directly for scheduling.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 3, 2019

This company hires the bottom line people that half ** their job. You call and complain to the home warranty people and they don’t give a damn. Want to talk to a supervisor... not going to happen. I wouldn’t pay a dollar for these people.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Dawn! We see that you gave us a 1-star rating. If there is anything that we can do to help improve your experience with HWA, please feel free to reach out to us by phone or live chat. We look forward to hearing from you. Enjoy day!

Original review: July 1, 2019

Our air conditioning is out and has been out since the end May. It’s now July 1st. We have made many many calls trying to get them to help us. They won’t return our calls or give us any satisfaction. Steer clear of this warranty company.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Brian! We apologize for the service you have received was less than exceptional. We would like to look further into this to see if we can assist in a resolution. Please email us with your claim number, full name, service address, phone number and email associated with the contract. Thank you!

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: July 1, 2019

We have had a home warranty with HWA for a few years and have typically not had problems until this year. Our refrigerator needed repaired in March. After three service calls and two fixes it is now July 1st and we still do no have a working refrigerator. Our last service call was on May 19th and we have been told ever since that they are working on getting the parts. Today I called (July 1st) and requested the tracking number for the parts. I was told the order had been shipped but no tracking number could be found. My service company also has not received any parts. It is questionable if they were ever actually sent.

In addition we have an open claim to replace major parts of our AC which does not currently work. On June 7th I spoke with a rep and approved the overage fee that we would pay to have the unit repaired. Two weeks late I still had not heard anything and called HWA to find out that, though I had authorized the repair HWA had not moved forward with the authorization for two weeks. As of today there is still no update as to whether or not the parts have been ordered and instead I and my family have been left in 90+ degree heat since June without AC. I am disappointed in the service I have been receiving and will soon be speaking with the BBB and state AG if these issues cannot be resolved in a timely manner.

Good Afternoon Jerome,

We certainly understand the frustration caused by the delays in your claims. We are working actively to get our homeowner's equipment back up and running as quickly as possible, however, there are delays due to vendor availability as well as the need for part and replacement orders.

Upon review of your claims, the refrigerator parts were on back order until 7/5/2019 and have been shipped from the warehouse to the vendor directly. Once they have received the parts, they should be contacting you for scheduling.

In reference to your AC claim, you have approved the non-covered expense, your equipment order was placed and the pick up location has been updated per the technician's request. Once the tech has picked up the equipment from the requested location, they will be contacting you for scheduling as well.

Original review: June 30, 2019

I sold real estate years ago and had dealt with HWA so I signed up with their service. I did it online and it was easy. I’ve had two claims and some things are quick and easy, but some are a little more difficult. Like on both claims, I’ve had several different people call me and not know what had been discussed with one of the other people who called me.

I do the claims online, and then within a short period of time, somebody who’s contracted with them calls me. The contractors have been good. But on one of the claims, it still has not been fixed. I had two contractors come out and say the oven needed to be replaced. But the home warranty said they won’t remove it. I have to remove it before they can fix or replace it. And so, I haven’t been able to remove it. Six months ago they had come out and said that. So, I’ve gotta find somebody who will come in and remove it. Everybody’s afraid I guess because they were granite countertops. If I knew that they were definitely going to replace it, then that would make things a little bit different.

Hi Megan,

Thanks very much for your balanced and fair review of our company. We certainly value your opinion and appreciate the feedback.

Regarding the removal of appliances, the warranty will not cover this unless you have our OrangePlus coverage. Also, unfortunately, the warranty does not cover for access to diagnosis or repair an issue if needed, access would need to be created by the homeowner, once there is access available, our technicians are more than willing to come back out to address the issue.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us should you have any questions or concerns. Thank you and have a pleasant day!

Original review: June 29, 2019

Our experience with the reps of HWA has been good so far. When I submit a claim, it takes them a day or two to get a contractor out. The technicians have been very good as well. I would highly recommend Home Warranty of America.

Sherry,

We are pleased to hear that you are greatly satisfied and look forward to servicing all your future needs. Please don't hesitate to contact us by phone or live chat at www.hwahomewarranty.com should you need our assistance. Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

Original review: June 28, 2019

I have submitted two claims with this company and both left me disappointed. The first claim said they did not have any service providers and told me to find my own and give them the claim number and they would reimburse. Then after I found someone they assigned it to another service provider. AFTER they told me no one was available. So needless to say I was not fully reimbursed.

Second claim was assigned to one of their technician. When I called to schedule service I was informed they no longer had a contract with HWA. Called back and the reassigned the claim. That service provider was a no show. Called them back they apologized and rescheduled. I took off from work early a for the second time and AGAIN no call no show. So called HWA to ask them to assign to a new vendor and the phone call gets “dropped”. All of their customer service reps are in foreign countries and read straight off a script. Total waste of money. I’m still without a working stove.

Hi Leslie,

If you would like, we would be happy to submit a complaint regarding your experience with the vendor so that our vendor selection team can take this into account when renewing their contract. If this is an option you would like to pursue, feel free to reach out to us by phone or live chat and we will be happy to assist. Thank you and have an amazing day!

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: June 28, 2019

Submitting a claim with HWA could sometimes be a little cumbersome depending on the issue. If it’s a complicated issue and we need to talk to someone, sometimes it’s hard to get through. And then whenever a contractor comes out, it’s hard to get the next level of service for the contractors. But we’ve had great service from the service people that they’ve sent out. Their responsiveness would be the only thing.

Hi Dana,

Thank you for this open and honest review regarding your firsthand experiences with our company. We certainly appreciate your feedback and look forward to servicing your future needs. Have an amazing day!

Original review: June 27, 2019

Our AC has been out for 6 weeks and HWA has sent 3 technicians. The first technician I could not get ahold of to come and service our AC unit so I requested HWA send someone else. They sent a business which had an F rating with the Better Business Bureau that said they fixed the unit and it still did not work properly. When I called to complain they said the second technician had still not filed his paperwork with his diagnosis so they could not move forward. They contacted this technician multiple times asking him to file the paperwork and he told them he was going to send it each day but never did. After complaining about this for over a week and wasting hours on the phone with HWA they finally got the paperwork.

My AC unit still was not working, so I called and complained about the second technician and asked to have someone come fix the unit. I was assured the second technician would be reprimanded and taken off HWA's list of service providers for the difficulties they caused. They proceeded to try and send the second technician back to my house anyways to service the unit again. After much persistence HWA agreed to send a different technician to my house, but told me I would have to pay a service fee if this technician found a different issue with the unit. The third technician took multiple calls and more than a week to finally schedule an appointment to come to my house and service the unit. He finally came yesterday and said the unit was good to go and we shouldn't have any issues. I came home today to find the unit once again running worse than before.

I am currently on the phone with HWA again who has told me if the third technician comes out and finds a different issue I will have to pay another service fee, all while my AC unit has not worked in the past 6 weeks. Over the course of this process I have asked to speak with supervisors who are conveniently never there but "will call me back within 24 hours." I have never received a call back from a supervisor. HWA has repeatedly lied to me and sent anyone with a pulse to my house to try and fix the unit. Look elsewhere for a home warranty, but under no circumstances should you buy a policy from Home Warranty of America unless you want to waste hours of time and never get your issues resolved.

Hi Westley,

We are so sorry to hear about the timing of your AC claim and fully understand that in the heat of the summer, going without AC can be very inconvenient and frustrating. Unfortunately, we cannot give an exact time frame for each claim since it may vary on multiple factors such as: vendor availability, the diagnosed issue and locating the best way to replace or repair.

HWA does warranty 30 days on labor and 90 days on parts from the date of initial service. During this timeframe, we can recall the claim to have the vendor to come back out if the issue persists or another issue arises. Regarding the trade call fee, it will be pending the diagnosis from the technician. If the issue is related to the initial claim, misdiagnosed or repair failed, then the trade call fee will not be due. Should the problem be a different issue, the homeowner will be charged the trade call fee.

We located your claim and it appears that we received the diagnosis from the vendor on 6/27/19 and we are confirming information with the technician regarding the diagnosis and equipment needed. Once this information has been confirmed, we will then be able to discuss a buyout calculation and/or any potential out of pocket expenses to proceed with the claim. We advise 24-48 hours for any updates.

Original review: June 27, 2019

I realized I had bought a much older house so I got the warranty. It was very easy to sign up with Home Warranty of America and currently, I'm pretty satisfied with them. I usually call up to file a claim and the experience with the representative is usually very smooth. I've had one situation where they referred me to a service provider that did not exist. That took three weeks before I found out. But outside of that, the experience has been good. They usually tell me to expect the contractor in 24 hours and my interactions with the contractors they sent out were pleasant.

Home Warranty of America response

Thank you, Lydia, for taking the time for the positive review! At Home Warranty of America, we strive to meet the needs of all our customers. If there is ever anything we can do in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us. Have a wonderful day!

Original review: June 26, 2019

Make sure you read the fine print (if you can find it). If I could give a zero I would. We purchased a house in May and the inspection didn't come back with any red flags. We filed our first claim with HWA in June because we have a large leak in our living room, under our master tub. Plumber came out and told us the bath shoe is not installed correctly and probably won't be covered. Nothing was ever noted on our inspection and the leak was not there when they ran water during the inspection. HWA said no coverage so we paid to have the tub shoe fixed out of our OWN POCKET plus paid the $100 fee for having them come out. The next day, it leaked AGAIN. The tub shoe was NOT the problem and now we have wet ceilings for 2 weeks because of a leak. Called HWA to ask them about our claim b/c it is still leaking and we were informed we would have to file a NEW claim, pay the $100 service fee AGAIN and that it might not be covered AGAIN.

The plumber who came out was nice enough to take my call (I would ABSOLUTELY recommend him!) and he explained before I file a claim to be aware, that when he opens in the ceiling (because that's the next course of action) warranty companies typically don't pay to fix the ceiling after it is cut open and depending what he finds, it might not be covered again. I'm not really sure why we have a warranty that does not cover things that are broken? We don't even have the most basic plan, we paid MORE and got the platinum plan. In all the information that I read on our plan and what's covered and it does not say anything about it being "improperly installed" and then not covered. Don't spend the money on a warranty, save it for when something breaks and fix yourself.

Hi Julie,

We certainly apologize for the frustration that this experience has caused. Regarding coverage, once a claim is submitted, HWA reserves the right to assign a vendor to service the claim. A technician will come out to officially diagnosis the problem. The coverage will be based on the technician's diagnosis, recommended solution and the contract terms. The trade call fee does apply to each claim filed under the warranty.

In the event that access has to be created to resolve an issue, HWA will not cover for access, however, will repair back to a rough finish condition as explained in the contract terms under opened walls/ceilings.

Based on review of your claim, the technician indicated the cause was an improper installation and recommended replacement of the drain. Unfortunately, the warranty does not cover for improper installations unless you have our OrangePlus coverage which is why your claim was not eligible for coverage.

If you would like further clarification about, a copy of your contract's terms or have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us by phone or live chat. Thank you and have a pleasant day!

Original review: June 26, 2019

I got Home Warranty of America with my mortgage when I purchased my house. 10 months later our AC went out in South Texas where the temperatures don't get below 80 at night. I called and submitted my claim on June 10th and then had a maintenance technician come out 3 days later on June 13th. I called HWA that night and they had not received the info from the service company yet. I called back on the morning of the 14th and they had received the information and I approved all of the covered and uncovered repairs to be done. After this I pressured my service company to do the work. HWA did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for 11 DAYS!!!

I sat in a hot house with my wife and new born child for over 16 days now and still don't have the repairs done because HWA does not care and is not proactive to file their own claims and order parts when approved. I still do not have the work completed and my service company has had to remove me from their schedule twice due to the lack of action from HWA to order my repair parts!!! I will never use a home warranty again from having such a horrible experience with HWA! I called my own technician out and they came out in less than 2 hours instead of 3 days and have the repair work scheduled for 2 days from now, not more than 17 days. $3,500 out of pocket because HWA does not care about their customers and the lack of action from them.

Original review: June 26, 2019

God awful. I received this warranty as a part of my home purchase. I had an issue with my AC. The contractor responded quickly, provided a diagnosis and sent it to HWA within a week of the claim. After 3 weeks of no contact I called them to be told the claim hasn't even gone through the approval process. What? The following week I contacted them daily to be told again and again they'd be done later that day. Finally I was told today they wanted a copy of my home inspection. Absolutely not. It's been a month. You should have asked for that before. I cancelled my contract and was told, "if you are due a refund it'll be ready in 4 to 6 weeks." Yes I'm due a full refund because it's been less than 30 days since the start of my contract and I should get it immediately. I am filing a complaint with the BBB and getting in touch with my lawyer so they will pay for my repairs and contract refund in full.

Hi Ashley,

We certainly understand your frustration and apologize for the inconvenience regarding the delay in servicing your AC unit. Once a claim is submitted, a technician will come out to officially diagnosis the problem. The coverage will be based on the technician's diagnosis, recommended solution and the contract terms.

Occasionally, we do request a copy of the home inspection prior to any repairs or replacements to confirm the system or appliance was in proper working order prior to the warranty start date. During our peak season, claims can run a bit longer due to vendor availability, delays in receiving the diagnosis and potential needs of part and/or replacement orders, however, we strive to ensure that we get our homeowners' units up and running again as quickly as possible.

Upon review of your account, you have submitted a cancellation request and full refund. Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us by phone or live chat. Thank you and have an amazing day!

Original review: June 26, 2019

This is Trevor from San Antonio, TX. I purchase a home on January 31st, 2019. My AC broke on March 12th, 2019 and claim rejected. HWA send an AC company that did more damages to the unit, I had to pay out of pocket and learn that the AC Co. that came out incorrectly connected the wires on the relay switch that blew out the relay switch and #3 speed on the motor. On Friday June 21st outside unit quit due to a bad compressor. Once again they collect the deductible, give you the run around all leading to a rejected claim. Do yourself a favor. Do not purchase a contract with Home Warranty of America, all you are going to get from them is ulcer, headaches and empty pockets. I will definitely take Home Warranty of America to court!

Hi Trevor,

Congratulations on your new home, home ownership is quite rewarding!

Regarding coverage, once a claim is submitted, HWA reserves the right to assign a vendor to service the claim. A technician will come out to officially diagnosis the problem. The coverage will be based on the technician's diagnosis, recommended solution and the contract terms. Occasionally, we may request a home inspection to verify the system or appliance was in proper working order prior to the start of the warranty.

Upon review of your AC claim, the coverage was denied due to the home inspection indicating the unit was not fully functioning at 100%. In order for the AC unit to be eligible for coverage, we will need a copy of a paid invoice stating the unit was properly fixed prior to filing the claim.

If you would like further clarification about, a copy of your contract's terms or have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us by phone or live chat. Thank you and have an amazing day!

Original review: June 26, 2019

I've been with Home Warranty of America for two and a quarter years and at this point, having the warranty is not too valuable. But it's a good thing to have it. I submit claims online and the website is pretty intuitive. You just look around and select from the dropdown menu. It gives you an expectation on the time you can expect the contractors out which is normally three days. But I don't give an option to not keep it because the next day, I call the contractor directly and say they have an HWA claim. I give them the claim number and Home Warranty faxes it to them right away so they look it up in their fax and say that's right. Then I tell them that I want to make an appointment. And the contractors have all been great.

Leonard,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this great review! We are proud to be your trusted home warranty provider and to give you a little peace of mind when it comes to your repair needs. Please don't hesitate to contact us by phone or live chat at www.hwahomewarranty.com should you need our assistance. Thanks again and have a wonderful day

Original review: June 25, 2019

I’m very good with Home Warranty of America. The reps I dealt with for my claim were real nice. People came out, told me what would be paid for and what wouldn’t, and were truthful. It also wasn’t that long before they came out. It was a few days and then they got everything taken care of for me.

Home Warranty of America response

Thank you for the great review, Donna! We are glad we could assist in your home repairs! We appreciate your business!

Original review: June 24, 2019

Claim was opened on 6/11 - service contractor showed up on 6/12. Did poor analysis, told me that AC is working but NV Energy Smart thermostat is controlling the temperature, which is not true because my upstairs unit has the same thermostat and works just fine. So I told him that, he went back and checked, and replaced two capacitors. The AC was better but not great for a day, and then back to blowing hot air. So I called HWA again. They sent the service contractor again on 6/18. The unit was checked, and he left without even telling what needs to be fixed. He sent the estimates to HWA on 6/19, and I was told it takes 24-48 hours for the estimates to be approved by HWA, and nothing happened ever since.

I've been calling everyday, and I've been getting the same answer, "we will be calling you tomorrow for an update", and I never receive any calls. I live in Las Vegas and it get really hot, and having AC issue for 2 weeks is just too much. Today is 6/24 and still no response. And then at the end of the call they asked me if I want to renew my home warranty - absolutely not.

Hi Ahmed,

We would like to apologize for the frustration caused by the claim experience. Unfortunately, we cannot give an exact time frame for each claim since it may vary on multiple factors. Occasionally, claims can run a bit longer due to vendor availability and potential needs of part and/or replacement orders, however, we strive to ensure that we get our homeowners' units up and running again as quickly as possible.

Once we have received the diagnosis from the vendor, we advise it can take 24-48 hours for any updates, however, we are currently within our peak season which is causing delays. Rest assured, we are working diligently to improve processes within our company to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction.

Upon review of your claim, we are showing the condenser fan motor has been replaced, however, you have contacted us due to the issue is still occurring and we have recalled the claim to have the vendor to come back out.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us by phone or live chat should you have any questions or concerns. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Original review: June 24, 2019

We have had a contract with HWA since purchasing our home a few years ago. They upsold me on coverage from the house to the curb. I called in November 2018 for the refrigerator that we have in our garage, I told them that this was the situation and they sent out a plumber to address the matter. Less than 3 months later the issue came back and I called and they again sent someone out to fix it. At that time the repairman told me that this was a design issue and that if this happened again the refrigerator would more than likely need to be replaced. Fast forward another 3 months and the problem arises again. I call HWA and they suddenly do not want to service this refrigerator because it was a "mistake" (their words not mine) that their service department dispatched service technicians. I told them that I did not understand but would be willing to add it to the plan if I had to, to get the service.

They were going to charge me an additional fee and right before I finalized my agreement over the phone I thought I should verify that the refrigerator would still be covered for this issue that they addressed twice before, I almost blew through the roof when the "manager" who called me to address this matter told me that no, that issue would not be covered but future issues that may arise would. Seriously? You will take extra money from me, cover the refrigerator but because you were told that it would more than likely need to be replaced you suddenly think twice about owning the previous actions you took to repair this unit? I STILL TRYING TO WRAP MY MIND AROUND THIS AND OUR PREMIUMS ARE WELL OVER $600 A YEAR.…

I asked for a higher up executive to call me to discuss this and still have yet to hear from them. I am currently shopping for a different home warranty program but I am thinking that for the money the plan costs, if I put that cash into a separate savings account, I could pay for any home issues that may arise without having to jump through hoops to get someone to honor the contracts that they provide. Who works on something twice and then suddenly realizes that it was a "mistake"? TWO TIMES THEY SENT SOMEONE OUT! Seriously, I would avoid this company like the plague. They are in it for the cash!

Hi Cheryl,

We sincerely apologize for the frustration and inconvenience caused by this experience. We have provided feedback to the agents involved regarding your claim as an opportunity of learning and improvement.

Regarding coverage, once a claim is submitted, a technician will come out to officially diagnosis the problem. The coverage will be based on the technician's diagnosis, recommended solution and the contract terms.

Based on your claim, the initial claim, as well as the recall, should have been rejected upon submission due to the location stated in the garage. Upon review of your contract terms, your kitchen refrigerator is eligible for coverage, however, it specifies units moved out of the kitchen are not eligible for coverage.

If you would like further clarification about, a copy of your contract's terms or have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to chat with one of our live agents at www.hwahomewarranty.com. Thank you and have a momentous day!

Original review: June 24, 2019

I called and requested service for a broken spring on my Wayne Dalton Torquemaster garage door, (Claim # **). I've spent over 30 years in the construction trade, so I know what I'm talking about with homes and repairs. When I spoke to the agent at HWA, I told them that I have a Wayne Dalton Torquemaster, and not to send anyone out that does not work on Wayne Dalton Torquemaster doors. They sent out ERMCO.

The tech who arrived, immediately said that he did not work on Wayne Dalton Torquemaster doors, but could retro-fit the doors with a new system. I told him no, the entire system is set up for a Wayne Dalton Torquemaster spring set, and that's why I said not to have anyone come out that did not work on them. He said to call Garage Doors of Indianapolis, (who does not work as a contractor for HWA) and to pay them, and that HWA would reimburse me, for up to the amount that they cover for ERMCO. He said that I still needed to pay him $100 for a service call. I refused to pay, because he did no work, plus I specifically said not to send out anyone who wasn't qualified to work on Wayne Dalton Torquemaster doors.

Garage Doors of Indianapolis came out and fixed the spring, and said that by retro fitting the doors, it would screw up the rest of the system. I spoke with Sara ** from Ermco, about the service call fee. She said I needed to speak with Jaime **, who is a area manager for HWA at **. I have called and left three voice mails for him to return my call, but he has not responded. I also sent an email to HWA, but it came back as undeliverable.

I also received an email from HWA and said that if I don't pay the service fee, they will revoke my warranty. I called customer service again and they said that there are no notes showing that I requested someone who works on Wayne Dalton Torquemaster doors. I told them to pull the call log, and I was told that the only way for me to hear that, would to take HWA to court and sue them to be able to hear my initial call. I'm requesting someone call me, about this situation.

Good Afternoon Jeff,

We wanted to take a moment to apologize for the inconvenience and frustration caused by your claim experience. Regarding coverage, once a claim is submitted, HWA reserves the right to assign a vendor to service the claim. A technician will come out to officially diagnosis the problem. The coverage will be based on the technician's diagnosis, recommended solution and the contract terms. There is a trade call fee due per claim filed under the warranty which is paid directly to the vendor or may be paid directly to us by phone to avoid a warranty suspension.

Based on your claim, the technician we assigned to your claim advised they do not service this particular type of system and recommended Garage Doors of Indianapolis to come out for which we are awaiting your paid invoice to review for reimbursement.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Home Warranty of America is a scam. I tried to submit a claim for an air conditioner because mine broke and that didn’t go well. It was in the middle of summer when it was 100 degrees out and I have an eight- and a six-year old. I ended paying for the whole thing myself. So Home Warranty of America definitely puts me down and I don’t like that. They don’t do what they say. My interactions with their representatives were also poor. They were courteous but they didn't have any answers. I don’t think that they know what they’re doing. They have limited information and they don’t have any superiors that you could talk to either.

Good Afternoon Jeff,

We're so sorry that your experience with us fell short of expectations. Upon review of your AC claim, we assigned a vendor, however, you were not pleased with their ratings and requested another vendor be assigned for which we were more than willing to do, however, you disconnected the call with our agent and proceeded to use your own vendor outside of the warranty.

Please be advised, in order to be eligible for coverage, a claim must be filed with the warranty and HWA reserves the right to assign a vendor to service the claim. In the event, we do not have an available vendor available to service the claim, we will then offer you the ability to secure your own vendor.

If you would like further clarification about, a copy of your contract's terms or have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us. Thank you and have a pleasant day!

Original review: June 23, 2019

The reps of Home Warranty of America have been pretty good and quite helpful. It's very easy to file a claim. Usually, within a day, I would get an answer as to what's gonna be going on or what's necessary for me to complete any work or get the information rolling. However, I'm about 75% satisfied with the contractors. I've had one that didn't really fulfill everything that I needed to get done. And it was a simple job. But the others completed stuff in a timely manner and made sure things were of good quality.

Hi Jeffrey,

Home Warranty of America coverage exclusions

In some instances, there are parts of otherwise covered items that will be excluded from coverage, so it’s important to read your contract to fully understand what “coverage” for each item truly entails. Home Warranty of America does specify some coverage exclusions, which is typical for all home warranty service plans. Typically parts that are not essential to the item performing its core function may be excluded. For example, while dishwashers are covered by both of HWA’s plans, racks, baskets, rollers and door seals are not covered. Similarly, the electrical system coverage won’t cover items like fixtures. You can find a full list of exclusions on Home Warranty of America's sample contract.

Home Warranty of America coverage limits

Home Warranty of America’s coverage limits per term are no more than $5,000 per covered item or $15,000 total per contract term. Standard across home warranty companies, none of their plans cover pre-existing conditions. Specific coverage limits and maximum payouts can depend on the specific appliance or system in need of repair or replacement, outlined in the chart below.

ItemHome Warranty of America’s coverage limit
Electrical or plumbing rust and corrosion$2,000
Heating systems, tankless water heaters, well pumps, saltwater pool equipment$1,500
In-ground pool and spa equipment, water heaters, stand-alone ice makers or freezers$1,000
Ductwork and plumbing systems$1,000 for inaccessible items
Roof leak repair, septic systems, toilets, water softeners$500
Burglar and fire alarm systems, ceiling and exhaust fans, central vacuums$400
Refrigerant$10/pound

Home Warranty of America claims

Claims can be submitted 24/7, including holidays, online or through their toll-free number. Emergency services can be rushed at HWA’s discretion. Someone over the age of 18 must be present in the home during the repair.

How to request service from Home Warranty of America:

1. Submit a claim online or over the phone as soon as an issue is discovered.
  2. HWA will contact an authorized technician within 48 hours to schedule your requested repair.
  3. Pay the service call fee ($75 or $100, depending on your plan).

Should the repair fail or the same issue occur again within the service recall period (90 days on parts and 30 days on labor), HWA will send a technician to complete new repairs without charging you a service fee or any other additional costs.

Home Warranty of America FAQ

What is Home Warranty of America’s premium coverage option?

Premium coverage expands your standard coverage to include protection for equipment and parts that aren’t standard to home warranty contracts, namely fixtures and accessories like shower heads or dishwasher racks. The plan option covers 30+ items.

What is Home Warranty of America’s cancellation policy?

You can cancel your contract at any time but need to cancel within 30 days to receive a full refund. Cancelling after 30 days will include a small cancellation fee of $30 or 10 percent of the contract fee, whichever is less. Overall, we’ve seen far higher cancellation fees among other companies.

Is a home inspection required by Home Warranty of America?

No. No inspection is required and you will not be denied coverage based on the age of your home, systems or appliances.

Is Home Warranty of America worth it?

Home Warranty of America has several aspects that stand out and make it a good option for homeowners looking for coverage for their systems and appliances.

Home Warranty of America’s record of satisfied homeowners, focus on fast, effective and professional service and number of coverage choices, making it a top choice in home warranties. Both the Premier and the Premier Plus plans from Home Warranty of America offer substantial coverage and peace of mind for homeowners. Our favorite features include the Premier Protection plan, which adds coverage for parts like fixtures and appliance accessories. This coverage is not common to home warranty service plans, and it’s an affordable add-on that really extends the value of your contract. Additionally, the GreenPlus and OrangePlus add-ons make Home Warranty of America one of the most inclusive providers we’ve seen.

Home Warranty of America Company Information