2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.11/5

At Home Warranty of America, Inc. we have built our business on simplifying the lives of our customers and helping them immediately, in times of great need and uncertainty. We strive to always offer our customers fast, easy solutions with our network of qualified service technicians.

Home Warranty of America specializes in home warranty plans, real estate, home sellers warranty, appliance warranty, and home protection plans. Whether you are planning to sell your home, buy a new one, or just staying in your home, we can save you money and time, and bring you peace of mind when you need it most. Get a free quote from us today!

View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Home Warranty of America provides advanced coverage options at a reasonable rate. While it can take up to 48 hours to schedule a service, benefits like ENERGY STAR certified appliance upgrades really set the company apart.

PROS

• ENERGY STAR appliance upgrades
  • High coverage limits
  • Nationwide coverage

CONS

• Service scheduling wait time

Top Home Warranty of America Reviews We Found

Submitting a claim to HWA is very simple and easy. Everybody has been professional, and they usually give a time when the contractor will contact us. I’m very satisfied with them. The warranty is worth the money.

I just call them and they send quality people out, and they take care of it. The techs don't give up. They keep going until they get the thing fixed, and that's greatly appreciated. If it was something major like a washing machine or air conditioning, they would make it happen that day.

Home Warranty of America plans

Home Warranty of America has been protecting homeowners, buyers and sellers for decades. They have multiple coverage options, so customers can choose what best suits their needs. They offer warranties in 49 states (excluding California) with a trusted network of service professionals nationwide. For existing homeowners, Home Warranty of America offers two levels of coverage.

• Premier: The Premier plan is the most affordable plan for existing homeowners and covers over 20 major household systems and appliances. You can also add on optional coverage for extra individual items such as well pumps, stand-alone refrigerators and more.
  • Premier Plus: The Premier Plus plan covers all major systems and appliances. It includes their Premium Coverage option at no extra cost, which adds 25 additional items, like plumbing fixtures and toilet replacement.

Both of these plans have 13-month warranty periods. You’ll also have the option of adding GreenPlus, which qualifies customers to replace their old appliances with energy-efficient models, and OrangePlus, which covers additional components and services, including water softeners and re-key.

In addition, Home Warranty of America also offers home warranty plans for those buying or selling a home. Under these plans, coverage options may vary by state. 13-month coverage contracts are available with Gold, Platinum or Diamond Plans that each have optional sellers’ and buyers’ coverages. It’s important to note that these plans can only be purchased by a real estate agent.

Home Warranty of America cost

The average cost of Home Warranty of America’s coverage is $41–$54 per month for existing homeowners. Costs vary based on the trade call service fee option chosen ($75 or $100) as well as any add-on protections.

PlanService call feeAverage monthly cost
Premier Plan$75$44.62
 $100$41.15
Premier Plus$75$53.46
 $100$50.38

Home Warranty of America provides 13-month terms, compared with other home warranty companies who only have 12-month contracts. We find their prices to be pretty fair overall and the cost about average when it comes to industry standards. The higher of their two service call fee options is on the pricier side at $100, but not out of average range for the industry, which is $60–$125..

Home Warranty of America coverage

The Premier plan provides production for the following items:

• Built-in microwaves
  • Washers/dryers
  • Water heaters
  • Whirlpool bathtubs
  • Air conditioning

The Premier Plus plan is the more comprehensive choice for existing homeowners to consider. The plan covers everything included in the Premier Plan plus additional items including increased toilet replacement protection, plumbing fixtures, faucets and showerheads.

Optional add-on coverage is available at an extra cost for the following items:

ItemCost per month
Pool/spa combo, saltwater pools$11.54
Roof leak repair, septic tank pumping$3.85
Second refrigerator, stand-alone freezer$2.69
SEER/R-410A modifications$5.77
Septic system$3.86
Well pump$6.54

Home Warranty of America also offers two add-on packages:

The GreenPlus add-on includes coverage to upgrade appliance replacements with ENERGY STAR qualified products. Includes dishwashers, refrigerators, clothes washers, heating system replacement and water heaters.

The OrangePlus add-on includes coverage for water softeners and re-key, provides the removal of defective equipment at no extra charge and increases coverage limits for the following items:

• Code Violations/Permits up to $250
  • Professional Series Appliances up to $2,000
  • Toilet Replacement up to $600

Home Warranty of America Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: May 8, 2020

I used to be a Realtor, and I used to purchase a warranty, every time I sold a house, as a gift to my customers. At that time, I liked HWA because most of my customers were first-time buyers. I used to call them professional renters 'cause any time something went wrong in the house, the only person that knew to call was the Realtor, which I had nothing to do with fixing anything. So, it saved me a lot of hassles. 'Cause I had customers use it quite a bit if something went out, whether it was the refrigerator, the air conditioner or the hot water heater. They had a concrete number to call. They didn't have to worry about being taken advantage of by a craftsperson.

My most recent claim with HWA was for my dishwasher that went out. The only thing was it took them so very long to handle that particular claim because the part that was broken was no longer made. So, instead of just hanging out on the claim, their purchasing department would look for this part to see if they can find it anywhere. It took 6 weeks to have them settle that claim. But normally, it's within a week.

Since they couldn't get it fixed, they sent me two different models that I can order and they would replace a dishwasher with one of those models, or they can send me the money for it and I can choose my own model. I chose the money and they sent me $400 for it. The only thing that sometimes is confusing is, what exactly, other than an appliance, are they covering - electrical or plumbing. That can be a little bit tricky to try to figure out. But for the most part, I've been generally happy with them. My son bought a house about two years ago, and I have not been a Realtor for a long time. I was not his Realtor, but as a housewarming gift, I bought him a home warranty. He ended up using it because he had a pipe break that was on the wall and they were very good. They sent someone out the very next day and they fixed it. His experience with it was very happy too.

Home Warranty of America response

Malgorzata, Thank you for leaving us this review based on your firsthand experiences with our company. We are pleased to hear that you and your son are satisfied and we look forward to servicing all your future needs. Thank you for your comments. - Dembe.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

When we moved here, the homeowners had a warranty with HWA and we continued it. We just called and switched it to our name. So far, everything's good and positive with them. I call them when we have a claim and their customer service has been very good. They let me know who they've contacted to come out to the home and give their name and phone number.

It's good to have the warranty because we've come out for the better for what we pay each year. My refrigerator tore up one time and they sent a man out. He thought that it would be better to get a new refrigerator, so they gave me the option of them giving me the money to go buy a new one or they'll ship me one, and I said I'd take the money. Then one time, the dishwasher went out and I let them bring a dishwasher here. I didn't go out and purchase one. And when the washer went out, they gave me money for that and I bought a new washer. At another time, we had some kind of electrical problem with the lights in the kitchen in the ceiling. They sent somebody out, so we had to put in new lights and wiring right there. We've had a plumber out a couple of times as well and the air conditioner had to be serviced this year and last year.

I ran into other women at different places and they have some kind of home warranty thing in Tennessee and Kentucky. Some of them said that it would take two weeks where they didn't have a washer or a refrigerator. I don't know what the deal was and why they had to wait so long to get replacements. But two weeks is crazy because with HWA, I don't have that problem and I am so glad.

I had to wait on the dishwasher because they had to ship it to the plumber to bring here and put it in. Still, we could hand wash dishes and I rarely use my dishwasher. So that was no big deal. But when the refrigerator went out, I had to drive everyday to keep the milk and stuff like that cold. We had to bring in food, so that was a little bit expensive. We had to wait for the person to get out here and check the refrigerator. But other than that, we had normal experiences and I would encourage someone to get a home warranty with HWA. The techs they send out to deal with the situation have always been good and professional, too.

Home Warranty of America response

Good evening, Terri. We wanted to take a moment to thank you for sharing all of your positive, personal experiences with our company. What you describe in your review is exactly what we strive for on each and every opportunity we have to serve our customers. We are so pleased to hear that you have had an outstanding customer experience, from our agents on the phone to our contractors that have completed the jobs in your home. It is our privilege to serve you and provide these efficient and positve experiences for you, Terri. Thank you again for the feedback, and we wish you an outstanding weekend!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I'm a first time homeowner, so I bought a policy from Home Warranty of America because I know, as a homeowner, I'm responsible for fixing everything versus renting. So, I figured it made sense to go ahead and get that. When I have a claim, I have called Home Warranty of America over the phone most of the times and everything has been fine with them. They've taken the information and had it correctly. It was just a matter of getting the vendor and to hear back from the vendor.

The very first time I filed a claim, I did it online and I was emailing back and forth with them. I was telling them that the vendors hadn't reached out to me, then they went with another vendor. But that vendor never reached out to me as well. I was also reaching out to the vendor myself at the same time. So it finally got to a point where Home Warranty of America told me that if I wanted to go my own and get the problem fixed, then they would reimburse me. But at that time, I didn't know how much anything was gonna cost and I didn't have funds lying around. Then after a couple of back and forth, I was able to reach the vendor and they were able to come out. So Home Warranty of America's online process was a long drawn-out response process. But when I talked to them on the phone, it seemed to be faster.

I’ve only used the warranty five times so far and the main times I used it were when I needed a plumbing company to come out. I’m in a small town and it seems that that vendor is the main one that Home Warranty of America use in my area. There were a couple of claims I submitted that I had to go round and round because the vendor never replied to me. When I finally contacted them, they were a small, private and family-owned business. One time, there was a wedding, so everybody was gone. The other time, there was a death in the family. They have to factor in all their family issues so they weren’t always able to get out right away or even respond. Other than that, I’ve used them four times and they are good. They even did a repair for me a month or so ago. But I need to call them back because I’m still having the issue.

Hi Jacqueline,

We appreciate your feedback! We aim for excellent customer satisfaction and we are happy to hear we were able to satisfy your home warranty needs. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us by phone or live chat should you need our assistance. Thank you and have a pleasant day!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

The house that I bought was the model home and there were some brochures in it advertising about Home Warranty of America. We liked the way it was presented. If there is a policy that covers items in the home, it makes perfect sense to utilize that service. The coverage makes sense, and that’s why we did it. Our claim experience has been really good. But there was one time when our contract had expired and they started a whole new contract. It took them forever to update the information, so whenever I would call, they would say, “You don’t have an account with us.” And so, we would have to go round and round to determine where the account was.

The most frustrating time was on a weekend where we called and they were saying that they had not received our payments, and so whatever it was, the money was being applied in the wrong place. They would not do anything with me because it was showing that I didn’t have an account, whereas, we did have an account. Nevertheless, I found it odd that I had to wait for accounting. Now, I've got receipt showing that I paid but then I had to wait for accounting. It was a debacle, but it's been straightened out since then.

As far as claims submission, I do a little bit of both online and over the phone. It depends on what the urgency is or where I am when I'm notified about the issue. Their website is saved in my favorites. I've had issues with the plumbing and washer-dryer, and I get the same company every time. I get 7-Star Appliance every time. It's a family-owned business and it's the same receptionist that calls me to schedule the appointment, and she's very good. I really like them. Moreover, there's always brochures in the mail from HWA that tells me when things changed and I can do something different or more of something. There's no harassing. So, for the most part, it's been a great experience and I would recommend them to anybody that asked or I felt needed a home warranty.

Home Warranty of America response

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this great review! We are proud to be your trusted home warranty provider and to give you a little peace of mind when it comes to your repair needs. Please don't hesitate to contact us by phone or live chat should you need our assistance. Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

We've had HWA for a year, and we re-signed up for it in June because the service was so good. It was very easy to work with them and they were amazing, so we wanted to extend it. I got an email saying that if I signed up there was a prize -- a gift certificate to a restaurant or something like that. And a $50 gift card if you would resubscribe. I didn't think about doing it because it was a couple of months before it was due. But then, the guy called on the phone and I thought "I'll just do it right now. Why not?" And so, it made it a little bit easier over the phone, but then I realized "Oh, I didn't get my gift card, dang it."

When I submitted a claim the first thing that happened is they let us get new keys because we didn't know who had a key to our house. And that was amazing. The guy came right out, we paid him $60 and he gave us the new keys. Everything went great. Then, our garage door broke. The owner of the house prior to us told us that there was something wrong with the garage door, but he thought it was just the afternoon sun or something weird. A contractor came right out and fixed it. Everything was great.

Then, the dishwasher went out. The problem I had with the dishwasher going out is that it was only 18 months old, but it wasn't under warranty yet. But the company that Home Warranty of America had come over to look at it wasn't Bosch certified. So they just kept coming over and they didn't fix it. They came over and put another part and that didn't fix it. But if they had a Bosch certified person work on it they should have known that there was a recall and there was a simple part that was $30, that would've fixed it. I called Home Warranty and I told them, "Hey, this place ripped you off." And they didn't care. I was kind of sad because they should've gotten their money back, but I guess once the claim is in, they don't care. But we paid our $60 fee. And overall I would totally recommend HWA.

Home Warranty of America response

Thank you, Zona, for taking the time for the positive review! At Home Warranty of America, we strive to meet the needs of all our customers. If there is ever anything we can do in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?

Original review: June 24, 2020

He was very helpful and was able to take to of my claims not just one. I did it but chatting, and honestly I like this way better. I'm glad I wasn't able to log on to my account. Thank you for your help.

Home Warranty of America response

Patricia. We are so glad to hear your request has been addressed correctly. Keep in mind you can contact us at any time. We sincerely appreciate your loyalty. Have a great day. -Digital Care.

Original review: June 23, 2020

Our realtor purchased a home warranty for us with Home Warranty of America as a gift for our home purchase and I'm really not happy with the service we've gotten. Our AC unit went out more than two weeks ago and it has been a nightmare trying to work with this company to get the issue resolved. The first time the technician came out he fixed the unit, but he had to come out again because on the same day he fixed it another part broke. Because our unit was still under manufacturer warranty, we were told by the technician that the home warranty company would need to contact the manufacturer to order the part and figure out the cost.

It's the beginning of summer in Arizona with temperatures reaching 110 degrees, we can't go anywhere, we still don't have our AC after two weeks, and we have no idea when this part is going to get delivered. Every time we try to call the company to get an update about the part since the technician was out, we spend an hour or two being put on hold or having calls drop so we have to call back. By the time we can talk with a human being, we're told that the department that IS handling the ordering of the unit can't be contacted, so the poor representative we're talking to doesn't have any information that actually helps us just because of the way this company is structured! I will always recommend to friends that they purchase a home warranty but I will NEVER recommend this company to anyone!!

Original review: June 23, 2020

I have been waiting for 3 weeks now to have a compressor replaced on my A/C - I have called everyday to get the same response, it is with management for approval. Now it is with the "purchasing depart" for a WEEK. The Service provider has the compressor on hand, but I have to wait up to 3 business days for approval! So hopefully by the end of the week, I will have "approval" and the service provider can come back NEXT week and install. If you are in the market.......DO NOT GO WITH HomeWarrantyofAmerica!!!

Original review: June 22, 2020

A/C is out. 2 month old baby at home, and 3 pets. HWA takes forever to process and approve the claim. When they finally do, they send an email to the technician that parts have been shipped. Parts have not been shipped. We have a tracking # but nowhere on the website to look up the tracking number. Call the number, you can NOT get transferred to purchasing or shipping. Only told by someone in "customer resolution" that they are looking at the information and working on it. Now... after we had been previously told that parts were shipped, we can not get anyone to confirm or deny that it actually happened, and they just called to tell us it will be another 24-48 hours for an "update". Not a resolution, just an "update."

Probably going to tell us again that they will be reviewing more information and working on it again, whatever the heck that means. No one can tell us the status of our parts and when they will be or have been ordered, or when they will be or have been shipped. When I tried to ask the name of the "supervisor" I had to wait 45 minutes on hold to talk to, he said he couldn't give his name, but would give his employee id # and then the call mysteriously disconnected. I have lost a whole day's work dealing with them. My Realtor has lost a day's work on the phone with them. The technician has lost a whole day's work on the phone with them. And still no resolution or any idea when we may get a/c again.

Original review: June 22, 2020

I submitted my claim on 6/8/2020 to have my dishwasher repaired. I was told I will have a service technician contact me within 48 hours. After 48 hours I called back and the representative told me they were having a hard time finding someone to service my dishwasher brand. At which point he told me he assigned it to Sears and sent me an email with a number to call. That number was invalid and a quick search of the Sears website shows they do not service my brand. I called back the next day and was told my claim had been transferred to the out of network center as they were having a difficult time finding a technician. I waited 48 hours and called back at which point they told me that they were assigning Sears and I told them that will not work. The next option was for me to find my own technician.

I called all in the local area and there were no certified technicians for my brand. I was also told to not expect an update from HWA and I would need to be the one to call them back. I then called back and was on the phone for over an hour and a half and at the end of the call, I was told it has been raised to the district manager. I was told I would receive an email and a solution within 48 hours. No email and no solution. I called 48 hours later and was told they could assign Sears. I told them again that will not work.

I am currently on the phone passing two and a half hours now with no service provider. They told me they will transfer to out of network center and I would receive an technician within 1 day. I told them, "no I have been down this road, what is the next step." I was then told they found a provider but they could not book through their system and I would have to book them. They could not provide me with the provider's address or website only a telephone number. It is now 6/22/2020 and there is no resolution. Every time I call it starts at square one.

Home Warranty of America coverage exclusions

In some instances, there are parts of otherwise covered items that will be excluded from coverage, so it’s important to read your contract to fully understand what “coverage” for each item truly entails. Home Warranty of America does specify some coverage exclusions, which is typical for all home warranty service plans. Typically parts that are not essential to the item performing its core function may be excluded. For example, while dishwashers are covered by both of HWA’s plans, racks, baskets, rollers and door seals are not covered. Similarly, the electrical system coverage won’t cover items like fixtures. You can find a full list of exclusions on Home Warranty of America's sample contract.

Home Warranty of America coverage limits

Home Warranty of America’s coverage limits per term are no more than $5,000 per covered item or $15,000 total per contract term. Standard across home warranty companies, none of their plans cover pre-existing conditions. Specific coverage limits and maximum payouts can depend on the specific appliance or system in need of repair or replacement, outlined in the chart below.

ItemHome Warranty of America’s coverage limit
    Electrical or plumbing rust and corrosion$2,000
    Heating systems, tankless water heaters, well pumps, saltwater pool equipment$1,500
    In-ground pool and spa equipment, water heaters, stand-alone ice makers or freezers$1,000
    Ductwork and plumbing systems$1,000 for inaccessible items
    Roof leak repair, septic systems, toilets, water softeners$500
    Burglar and fire alarm systems, ceiling and exhaust fans, central vacuums$400
    Refrigerant$10/pound

Home Warranty of America claims

Claims can be submitted 24/7, including holidays, online or through their toll-free number. Emergency services can be rushed at HWA’s discretion. Someone over the age of 18 must be present in the home during the repair.

How to request service from Home Warranty of America:

1. Submit a claim online or over the phone as soon as an issue is discovered.
    2. HWA will contact an authorized technician within 48 hours to schedule your requested repair.
    3. Pay the service call fee ($75 or $100, depending on your plan).

Should the repair fail or the same issue occur again within the service recall period (90 days on parts and 30 days on labor), HWA will send a technician to complete new repairs without charging you a service fee or any other additional costs.

Home Warranty of America FAQ

What is Home Warranty of America’s premium coverage option?

Premium coverage expands your standard coverage to include protection for equipment and parts that aren’t standard to home warranty contracts, namely fixtures and accessories like shower heads or dishwasher racks. The plan option covers 30+ items.

What is Home Warranty of America’s cancellation policy?

You can cancel your contract at any time but need to cancel within 30 days to receive a full refund. Cancelling after 30 days will include a small cancellation fee of $30 or 10 percent of the contract fee, whichever is less. Overall, we’ve seen far higher cancellation fees among other companies.

Is a home inspection required by Home Warranty of America?

No. No inspection is required and you will not be denied coverage based on the age of your home, systems or appliances.

Is Home Warranty of America worth it?

Home Warranty of America has several aspects that stand out and make it a good option for homeowners looking for coverage for their systems and appliances.

Home Warranty of America’s record of satisfied homeowners, focus on fast, effective and professional service and number of coverage choices, making it a top choice in home warranties. Both the Premier and the Premier Plus plans from Home Warranty of America offer substantial coverage and peace of mind for homeowners. Our favorite features include the Premier Protection plan, which adds coverage for parts like fixtures and appliance accessories. This coverage is not common to home warranty service plans, and it’s an affordable add-on that really extends the value of your contract. Additionally, the GreenPlus and OrangePlus add-ons make Home Warranty of America one of the most inclusive providers we’ve seen.

Home Warranty of America Company Information