2.76/5
Call toll free
(844) 243-4411 Visit Website

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At Home Warranty of America, Inc. we have built our business on simplifying the lives of our customers and helping them immediately, in times of great need and uncertainty. We strive to always offer our customers fast, easy solutions with our network of qualified service technicians.

Home Warranty of America specializes in home warranty plans, real estate, home sellers warranty, appliance warranty, and home protection plans. Whether you are planning to sell your home, buy a new one, or just staying in your home, we can save you money and time, and bring you peace of mind when you need it most. Get a free quote from us today!

BBBB Rating
View More View More

2195 Home Warranty of America Consumer Reviews

View 4 featured reviews
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

They will not help you. Ran into a problem with my a/c last summer (2018) and they got a vendor who didn’t do much and didn’t fix it. By the time the vendor and warranty company finally stopped messing around, it was fall and said best to wait until next summer to fix. This summer (2019) comes around and the warranty company sends out the same vendor. That vendor says the a/c unit needs replaced, and supposedly reports that to the warranty company. Two weeks go by and I call the vendor, who says they are waiting on the warranty company to approve replacement. I tell the vendor that I’ll call the warranty company and see what is the holdup, to which the vendor asks me not to do that. I call the warranty company. Says they are waiting on a report from the vendor. I then requested a new vendor, which they can’t find another vendor in my area, so they just send the job back to the original vendor without contacting me.

The vendor doesn’t contact me back and won’t answer their phones at all. So I ask the warranty company what else can be done, and they suggest that I could look for my own vendor (hence doing their job for them) and so I start calling around. I then find out how many companies refuse to work with warranty companies, because of the run around they give to everyone to get out of paying for repairs and doing what they promise to do.

So after finding a a/c repair company to come out and look at my a/c, I called and found out the warranty company will not talk with me about the costs of repair, but have to speak to the repair company. However, the warranty company will also not call the repair company themselves, so I spent the better of a week trying to get the warranty company and the repair company to connect. The repair company was gracious enough to reach out to the warranty company, but the warranty company would not work with them.

After a month of trying to get the warranty to finally make a decision, calling them every day to get updates, they agreed to reimburse me about $290, on a $800 bill. Luckily the repair company tech took of some of the work cost to help out as well. In summary, don’t use this warranty company. All the negative reviews and complaints are there for a reason. It’s better to just save the monthly cost of using this company and saving up an emergency fund for your house.

Hi Benjamin,

We sincerely apologize for the negative experience and we want to make sure that all your concerns are addressed. Your feedback is taken very seriously as it plays a vital role in our quality assurance and it provides great insights on how we can improve to better serve our homeowners, and we appreciate the time you have taken to share it.

There are instances when we do not have an available vendor in the area and we offer the homeowner the ability to secure their own vendor to service the claim. The vendor must call into our authorizations department prior to any repairs being completed. The homeowner is held responsible for all upfront costs to the vendor and may be reimbursed at HWA costs which may be less than retail costs in addition to the trade call fee should the claim be covered with a paid invoice.

We do have a dedicated vendor development department that reviews and approves service providers through an extensive process. We would be happy to submit a complaint regarding your experience with the vendor so that our vendor selection team can take this into account when renewing their contract. If this is an option you would like to pursue, feel free to reach out to our live chat agents at www.hwahomewarranty.com, and we will be happy to assist. Thank you and have a pleasant day!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Hello, This home warranty company is a scam, and I will be reporting this to your accrediting agency, as well as leaving negative reviews on your social media accounts. I will also be contacting my mortgage agency as well as title agency so that they may stop using this home warranty company for their customers. Your agents were extremely rude and disrespectful on the phone and flat out lied. I made 2 separate claims about my hot water heater not working. The first claim the technician was sent out and did nothing but charge me $60 to flip a breaker. My hot water heater continued to flip the breaker and I would constantly not have hot water.

I called again on Sunday July 28th of 2019 because flipping the breaker was not working anymore. I was informed that the contracted technician would not be able to come out and fix my hot water heater that day and that it would be more than 24 hours before I would have hot water. I was then informed that I could call a different company of my choosing if I could find one that would come out sooner, I would have to pay for the service, but I would be reimbursed, and instructions for doing this would be emailed to me. I never received any email instructions, but I did call another company who was able to send a technician over the same day so that I could have hot water. (very important considering I live in Alaska and frozen pipes would be a costly fix) The service technician that was originally called finally called me to set up an appointment 48 hours after a claim was filed, which is too long to go without hot water.

The technician from the company that I had to call myself came over, fixed the problem that the original technician should have fixed, he was paid and then left. I then called HWA asking about reimbursement. The customer service agent was again rude and hardly spoke English. She was very hard to understand. I asked why I did not receive instructions on how to go about getting a reimbursement and she replied "We don't do that." She also refused to let me speak to a supervisor.

So I was either lied to by the first customer service agent or by the second customer service agent. Regardless I was told that the technician that came out to my house would have to call and get an authorization for the work he completed. The technician called and was told that I would not be getting reimbursed for the repairs done to my hot water heater. I have been treated disrespectfully by this company, lied to, and now stolen from. I paid for this "home warranty" and I expect to be able to use it.

Good Afternoon Lindsey,

Thank you for this review based on your firsthand experiences with our company. We sincerely apologize for the negative experience and we want to make sure that all your concerns are addressed.

Upon review of your claim, the call was disconnected as the agent was provided the terms and conditions of using your own vendor. We do show that you have disputed this claim and your reference number is 793204. An agent will be in contact with you within 10 days.

Original review: July 29, 2019

This company has been a complete hassle the two times we've attempted to get something done. HWA refuses to send out someone qualified to determine an issue (Case **). First person they sent verbally told me and the representative from HWA he was unqualified to determine the issue yet HWA is calling the issue complete. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere for Home Warranty.

Good Afternoon Kelley,

We certainly understand your frustration and apologize for the inconvenience. Upon review of your account, an AC claim was filed in which the vendor determined the water heater was the issue and a plumber was then needed. Based on the water heater claim, it was denied due to the technician indicating the issue was with the storage tank which is shown as not eligible for coverage under the water heater section.

At this time, we do show that your appeal of this denial has forwarded to the appropriate department. They will be in contact with you within 10 business days. Your reference number is 792121.

Original review: July 29, 2019

So our house came with a year of this homeowner's warranty. We had American Home Shield before and loved it. Our dryer went out, and we have 3 kids so it gets used. We made a claim on 17th July 2019, and had someone sent out by the 19th. We were happy with that. The contractor told us that he would have to order parts, but had to submit it to the warranty company first and get approval. Wednesday comes and still no information, so my wife and I call the contractor, they said nothing has been approved. So I call the warranty company, just to find out it's still in claims and hasn't been approved yet, but is queue to be looked at today or tomorrow. So I complain, saying we need our dryer. They escalate it to a higher priority to get approved.

Today is 29 July 2019. Called the warranty company, and the lady tells me that it looks like it still hasn't been approved. What the heck? So not only has it not been approved, but according to the company's claim email, if parts need to be ordered it will take 5-7 days once approved. That close to 3 weeks since the claim start, if not an extra week to schedule the contractor to come back out and repair. I stated this to the lady, and she paused then said, "Yes... That sounds right." I didn't take it out on any of the customer reps. I know it's not their doing, but I did tell them how unsatisfied I was with their company, and told them I wasn't mad at them, just their business. I HIGHLY recommend NOT to use this company. We had American Home Shield before and they were awesome, they send someone out, and they approve and have them back out to make repairs within a few days if parts need to be ordered.

Good Morning Vincent,

Upon review of your claim, it was filed on 7/17/2019 and we received the diagnosis from the vendor with pricing on 7/24/2019. Our authorization's team emailed the approved authorization number to proceed with the dryer repair on 7/25/2019. Once the vendor has the needed parts, they should contact you for scheduling the repair. Please feel free to reach out to the vendor directly or contact us by phone or live chat should you need further assistance. Thank you and have a pleasant day!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 28, 2019

I live in Tucson, AZ and my A/C unit stopped working today. It 109 degrees and stays above 100 for most of the day. I called HWA and it took the claim agent almost 2 hours to get back to me (when I was told I would hear from someone within 20 minutes). When the agent called, she set up for a HVAC company to come out and check the system. The agent to told me to follow up with the company to get a better ETA and because it was Saturday evening. I called the company and they are closed for a week (per their answering system). I called HWA again, I was told that because my claim had already been opened that they could not recontact HWA agents today. That they would send an email and I would hear back on Monday because they had already made contact with a vendor and the claim was open.

First of all, no contact with a vendor had been made because they are on vacation for the week. The person I talked to is apart of a call answering service, and per HWA they cannot recontact. My house is 90 degrees inside and because they did not make appropriate contact I have to suffer or get a hotel to keep my family in a livable situation. I do not understand this at all. I pay HWA for peace of mind that if something goes wrong (like no A/C in the desert) that my family is going to be taken care of. And because of a backwards policy this is not happening. The level of disappointment is incredible. I will NOT be renewing my warranty with HWA and WARN others to stay away, because when things go wrong, THEY DO NOT HAVE YOU COVERED!

Good Morning Brittany,

We are disappointed to hear of the delays you’ve experienced with your air conditioning claim. We definitely understand that in the heat of the summer, going without AC can be very inconvenient and frustrating. This is certainly not the level of service we aim to provide at HWA. We aim to provide fast and efficient repairs and it seems that we have missed our goal. Upon review of your claim, it seems that we have assigned a new vendor as of yesterday and you may contact them directly for scheduling.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 27, 2019

On 7/8/2019, our A/C unit stopped cooling. I called and filed a claim with Home Warranty of America. Claim was submitted to a local HVAC company for a service call. Service tech came out the following day and found the system to be low on Freon. He went ahead and added freon. He also checked the condenser and coil for leaks and reported that there weren’t any. Fast forward to 7/21/2019, AC unit is failing to cool once again. Reopened the claim with Home Warranty of America on 7/22/2019. They sent the same technician out two days later 7/24/2019. Tech informed us that the system was now OUT of Freon and he found a leak in the condenser coil. Tech reported his findings to Home Warranty of America. Called HWA an hour after technician filed report, they resubmitted the claim for review, informed me they would have a resolution in 24 hours. 24 hours goes by (7/25/2019), I call HWA again for an update.

Now told they need my home inspection report. I submitted the report within minutes of request showing that the AC unit was working at time of the inspection. Told that they will review and I will have an answer by the end of the day. Never received a callback. I call again on 7/26/2019 for an update. Told once again that it would be another 24 hours. Asked for a manager and informed they were occupied taking other calls and would call back shortly. After waited a few more hours and no return call, I call back once again. This time the representative contacted the claim processor and informed me that we would have an answer by the end of business. End of business came and still no response. Called back and was told they had called and left a message (which my phone records show is NOT true). Found out my claim was denied!

They say they denied my claim for some foam insulation per the inspection report that I did not have to provide, but still did for expediency. But, totally failed to account the home inspectors measurement of the return air to the supply air being a delta of 16-17 degrees Fahrenheit which is a strong indication of a properly working HVAC system. The inspector simply cited some cosmetic issue with the foam around the suction line on the exterior of the home. This foam insulation is roughly a foot and a half, where less than 4 to 5 inches are slightly torn or missing. I DO NOT accept their answer of denying my claim, when their technician came out, said there were no leaks, and then came out a second time when it wasn't cooling and then recommended replacing the exterior condensing unit due to a leak interior to the exterior condensing unit.

I have two small kids living with me, so the importance of having an AC is crucial when the temperatures outside are rising to 100 degrees or more. I have been without a working AC for 5 days now. Because of Home Warranty of America's negligence, poor services, and inability to deliver the services they claim they provide my family is suffering physically, emotionally, and financially. I want HWA to be responsible for what they have caused my family and me.

Good Afternoon Shannon,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We want you to feel comfortable sharing good or bad news. We're so sorry that your experience with us fell short of expectations.

Regarding coverage, once a claim is submitted, a technician will come out to officially diagnosis the problem. The coverage will be based on the technician's diagnosis, recommended solution and the contract terms.

Unfortunately, not all claims can be (completely) covered per the contract's exclusions. Should there be any additional out of pocket expenses such as modifications or items not covered by the warranty, this will be discussed with you prior to any repairs or replacements.

As a friendly reminder, HWA does warranty 30 days on labor and 90 days on parts. During this timeframe, we can recall the claim to have the vendor to come back out if the issue persists or another issue arises.

As outlined in the contract terms, HWA reserves the right to request a copy of any visual or mechanical test that may have been performed by a home inspector or other licensed mechanical contractor for any claim filed under the warranty.

Upon review of your claim, we do show that your claim was denied based on the diagnosis received from the technician and review of your home inspection. At this time, your appeal of the claim denial has been forwarded over to the appropriate department. They will be in contact with you within 10 business days. Your reference number is 792120.

Original review: July 26, 2019

Our AC went out over 2 weeks ago which we notified HWA. I have officially been told 24 hours 6 times now! This phrase means absolutely nothing to them so don’t buy it. We have been waiting on managements approval for 4 days now and I have called every single day waiting on a response. It is now Friday afternoon and the management team does not work weekends so another weekend without air conditioning. I will not recommend nor renew this company to anyone! There is a reason it has a 2.5 star review. Your claims will not be handled timely even when they have been “marked emergency”. Peak season or not it should not be waiting on “management approval” this long! There’s a good reason they don’t have managers available to speak with or contact... They’d be busy!!

Hi Rebecca,

Upon review of your claim, we have approved the replacement of the evap coil as of 7/27/2019, however, there is an out of pocket expense due to the vendor for necessary modifications and items not covered by the warranty which is calculated at the vendor's rates. You presently have the option to approve the non-covered expense to proceed with the replacement or we can provide a buyout which would allow you to proceed with the claim outside of the warranty.

Please feel free to reach out to us by phone or live chat to discuss your options. We look forward to hearing from you and getting your A/C back up and running.

Original review: July 26, 2019

We had an AC unit go out 6 months after buying our home. Home Warranty of America was referred to us, so we bought their home warranty plan. I called immediately after our AC unit went out. It was in July, very hot in TN. They gave me the name of the company they contract with, another joke!! I have one lung, my husband has had a stroke so medically we need our AC in. Home Warranty now sends all the calls to Guatemala City. English barrier is bad. Their contractor keeps raising the price of our deductible because he said Home Warranty won’t send proper equipment size. 24 days later should I say still no AC and no resolution in sight for this 750.00 home warranty plan. Going to American Home Shield for next home warranty.

Hi Lisa,

Original review: July 24, 2019

Our air conditioner stopped working, so we called HWA June 23rd and they sent a technician out the same day. The technician determined my unit would need to be replaced. The new unit arrived on the 28th and was installed but it did not cool our house, I researched the size of the old unit vs the size of the new unit and determined the technician ordered and installed a unit that was half the size of the original failed unit. I called HWA on July 1st they assured me the correct unit would be ordered. It is now the 24th and I still don't have the correct unit installed! HWA has given me multiple dates on when it will arrive but the carrier assigned has no record of the shipment.

I have asked to speak to supervisors at HWA but I am always told they are not available and they will call me back within 24-48 hours. I have only had 1 person call me back and he assured me that he was in charge of my case and would stay on top of it. I have requested for him to call me and he has not. I have been told multiple times that I would receive a call but never do. My case is now 31 days old and I feel that I am being lied to about the status of my claim every time I speak to someone at HWA. I'm beginning to think there is fraudulent activity going on at HWA and they do not ever intend to resolve my claim. I guess I will need to seek legal action against Home Warranty of America!! They do not seem to want to provide the coverage they sell!

Good Morning Gary,

We are so sorry to hear about the timing of your AC claim and fully understand that in the heat of the summer, going without AC can be very inconvenient and frustrating. Unfortunately, we are unable to give an exact time frame for each claim since it may vary on multiple factors such as: vendor availability, the diagnosed issue and potential need of parts and/or replacement orders, however, we strive to ensure that we get our homeowners' units up and running again as quickly as possible. Rest assured, we are working diligently to improve processes within our company to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction.

Upon review of your claim, there was an issue with the Carrier shipping the equipment to the vendor. As of 7/25/2019, the vendor requested we change the order to allow him to pick up the equipment. Purchasing has submitted the request to Carrier to have the order ready for the vendor to pick up. We are currently awaiting the pickup number, once we have this, the vendor will be able to pick up the order and contact you directly for scheduling.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I have been paying HWA for a couple of years approximately $54 a month. When I needed to put in a claim for a broken washing machine, they wouldn't cover it, claiming that the technician said it was my error for putting something heavy in the machine. That was a bold lie since it had nothing to do with the drum or what was in the machine. They refused to pay to have it repaired and still charged me $100 for the service call.

When I called about my dishwasher, they again, charged me $75 for the service call and the technician came out and told me to buy a dishwasher cleaning solution on Amazon. He never even looked at the trap in the dishwasher. I had a friend handyman come and he looked at it and it was the trap. He fixed it for $75 and HWA wouldn't refund my money, even after they said they would. Took 3 tries to get my $75 back and I finally gave up and cancelled my policy.

Hi Leslie,

We regret to hear that your experience with HWA has not been what you expected, and we appreciate your feedback. Regarding coverage, once a claim is submitted, HWA reserves the right to assign a vendor to service the claim. A technician will come out to officially diagnosis the problem. The coverage will be based on the technician's diagnosis, recommended solution and the contract terms.

Upon review of your claim, the original vendor indicated there was a big hole inside of the dispenser as something very heavy was put in, the drum unit went out of balance and it broke the dispenser. The second opinion vendor determined the dispenser was not working as well. Per your contract terms, soap dispensers are specifically listed as excluded from coverage.

At this time, we do show that your appeal of the claim denial has been forwarded over to the appropriate department. They will be in contact with you within 10 business days. Your reference number is 791612.

Home Warranty of America Company Information