Call toll free
2.89/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At Home Warranty of America, Inc. we have built our business on simplifying the lives of our customers and helping them immediately, in times of great need and uncertainty. We strive to always offer our customers fast, easy solutions with our network of qualified service technicians.

Home Warranty of America specializes in home warranty plans, real estate, home sellers warranty, appliance warranty, and home protection plans. Whether you are planning to sell your home, buy a new one, or just staying in your home, we can save you money and time, and bring you peace of mind when you need it most. Get a free quote from us today!

BBBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Home Warranty of America provides advanced coverage options at a reasonable rate. While it can take up to 48 hours to schedule a service, benefits like ENERGY STAR certified appliance upgrades really set the company apart.

PROS

• ENERGY STAR appliance upgrades
  • High coverage limits
  • Nationwide coverage

CONS

• Service scheduling wait time

Top Home Warranty of America Reviews

03/01/2019

Submitting a claim to HWA is very simple and easy. Everybody has been professional, and they usually give a time when the contractor will contact us. I’m very satisfied with them. The warranty is worth the money.

02/24/2019

I just call them and they send quality people out, and they take care of it. The techs don't give up. They keep going until they get the thing fixed, and that's greatly appreciated. If it was something major like a washing machine or air conditioning, they would make it happen that day.

Home Warranty of America plans

Home Warranty of America has been protecting homeowners, buyers and sellers for decades. They have multiple coverage options, so customers can choose what best suits their needs. They offer warranties in 49 states (excluding California) with a trusted network of service professionals nationwide. For existing homeowners, Home Warranty of America offers two levels of coverage.

• Premier: The Premier plan is the most affordable plan for existing homeowners and covers over 20 major household systems and appliances. You can also add on optional coverage for extra individual items such as well pumps, stand-alone refrigerators and more.
  • Premier Plus: The Premier Plus plan covers all major systems and appliances. It includes their Premium Coverage option at no extra cost, which adds 25 additional items, like plumbing fixtures and toilet replacement.

Both of these plans have 13-month warranty periods. You’ll also have the option of adding GreenPlus, which qualifies customers to replace their old appliances with energy-efficient models, and OrangePlus, which covers additional components and services, including water softeners and re-key.

In addition, Home Warranty of America also offers home warranty plans for those buying or selling a home. Under these plans, coverage options may vary by state. 13-month coverage contracts are available with Gold, Platinum or Diamond Plans that each have optional sellers’ and buyers’ coverages. It’s important to note that these plans can only be purchased by a real estate agent.

Home Warranty of America cost

The average cost of Home Warranty of America’s coverage is $41–$54 per month for existing homeowners. Costs vary based on the trade call service fee option chosen ($75 or $100) as well as any add-on protections.

PlanService call feeAverage monthly cost
Premier Plan$75$44.62
 $100$41.15
Premier Plus$75$53.46
 $100$50.38

Home Warranty of America provides 13-month terms, compared with other home warranty companies who only have 12-month contracts. We find their prices to be pretty fair overall and the cost about average when it comes to industry standards. The higher of their two service call fee options is on the pricier side at $100, but not out of average range for the industry, which is $60–$125..

Home Warranty of America coverage

The Premier plan provides production for the following items:

• Built-in microwaves
  • Washers/dryers
  • Water heaters
  • Whirlpool bathtubs
  • Air conditioning

The Premier Plus plan is the more comprehensive choice for existing homeowners to consider. The plan covers everything included in the Premier Plan plus additional items including increased toilet replacement protection, plumbing fixtures, faucets and showerheads.

Optional add-on coverage is available at an extra cost for the following items:

ItemCost per month
Pool/spa combo, saltwater pools$11.54
Roof leak repair, septic tank pumping$3.85
Second refrigerator, stand-alone freezer$2.69
SEER/R-410A modifications$5.77
Septic system$3.86
Well pump$6.54

Home Warranty of America also offers two add-on packages:

The GreenPlus add-on includes coverage to upgrade appliance replacements with ENERGY STAR qualified products. Includes dishwashers, refrigerators, clothes washers, heating system replacement and water heaters.

The OrangePlus add-on includes coverage for water softeners and re-key, provides the removal of defective equipment at no extra charge and increases coverage limits for the following items:

• Code Violations/Permits up to $250
  • Professional Series Appliances up to $2,000
  • Toilet Replacement up to $600

2035 Home Warranty of America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 4 featured reviews
Original review: March 30, 2019

We have a home that we've been in for 15 years, so we just figured we'd have things needed to be covered. Submitting a claim with Home Warranty of America has been very good. They've been very quick and they've responded. Also, things have always been covered. We've had a couple of different repairs done and the contractors' quality of work has all been good. Having this warranty is very valuable.

Home Warranty of America response

Hello Jim, and thank you for the wonderful review and 5-star rating! We are so pleased to know that your experience with us has been outstanding! It is very gratifying to hear from out customers regarding the excellent service they have received, so we thank you for sharing this review! Have a wonderful day! - Jack

Original review: March 29, 2019

I purchased my home and it came with a HWA warranty. I had an issue last fall with my AC unit. I made a claim and was told I would be contacted by service provider. No call was made. I contacted the service provider and they informed me they do not work with HWA and have tried to be removed from the list. Long story short I now have to use another provider and costing me more than the $75 service fee. I am now on the hook for $2200 of the repair. Cannot recommend this company.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I’ve heard about Home Warranty of America through a friend. For the most part, submitting a claim to them has been painless. One time though, they sent a repair company that was ridiculous. The washer wasn't working and they came in and looked at it, literally, just visually put the eyes on it. They didn't turn it on, didn't troubleshoot, didn't do anything. They didn't even put the power on and they told me that the washer needed a motherboard and that they couldn’t fix it that day. They also told us that they needed the $75 and that they’d get it done in about a week to which, I told them no.

I told them to get out and I immediately called HWA and the rep told me that I did absolutely the right thing. He also told me that he would make a note on it for the company and then he sent somebody else. It wasn't even the motherboard that was giving me issues. It was the basket. Other than that, Home Warranty of America's reps have been very nice and courteous. I’ve had HWA now for four years and I really like them.

Original review: March 29, 2019

When I first purchased the home, it had the Home Warranty of America warranty already on it and I really liked the service, so when it was about ready to expire, I renewed it. Submitting a claim with them is easy. I just call them up, tell them what's wrong and they'll look it up to see if it's covered and so far, it has been covered. They then tell me who's gonna come out to check and they give me that company's phone number. They even send me an email so I don't forget who it is. They also say that if I don't hear from these people over the next couple of hours, I can call right back, which I always have and I've not had an issue with that either.

The very last time I've used Home Warranty of America was last week, and the man who came out was early. He knew exactly how to fix my problem and it took him 15 minutes max. It was wonderful. In fact, it's better because I didn't know how to work it right and he showed me an easier way. Having a warranty is wonderful because I don't know who to call sometimes and I don't know if I can trust people. Home Warranty of America knows how to operate very well and they know who to get. They knew exactly who to call to repair my ceiling fan. I've also called in to fix my dryer and they knew immediately who to get. For my air conditioner, the technicians came out within a couple of hours, so I wouldn't be overheated. Home Warranty of America has a list of appropriate people that I can trust that comes out to work on my stuff, so I don't have to look into the phonebook.

I've owned this home for a little over a year and where I lived before, which was 30 years, I didn't have a home warranty. When it came with this house, I was leery of it and this wasn’t something that I was familiar with but when I used it, I was very impressed with Home Warranty of America. I'm a widow, so repair people scare me but I was always sent some very okay, non-threatening people. I didn't feel like I was being talked over. Plus, the home warranty people on the phone explained to me all my coverage, which I wasn't even sure what I had when I bought the house and as a female widow, this was so reassuring.

Original review: March 28, 2019

Home Warranty of America was recommended by my realtor when I bought the house. The sellers paid for it and I kept it. HWA sends out a notice that their service will be renewed, so if I want to cancel or change anything, I’m given plenty of time to do that. I’ve only done one claim this past fall but it was fairly easy. I went online and started it, and then I called them to follow up on it. My heater was broken and they got somebody out quick and he fixed it. He was very educational. I had questions while he was doing it, and he was very knowledgeable about what he was doing and very open to telling me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?

Original review: March 28, 2019

When we bought our first home in 2006, Home Warranty of America had one year free home warranty. We put a warranty on our property because it’s easy to be able to get someone to come to fix something. So far, I had a good experience with HWA's service reps. Some of the companies that came out with them seem to be knowledgeable. While there may be one or two that's iffy, my experience was fine overall.

I submit my claim usually by phone then they turn you in to a company. That company’s supposed to give us a call. It’s usually the next day. But I use to call the contractor myself. And they try to fix whatever is wrong. They keep trying, like what they did to my garage opener. They came out four or five times trying to fix what was up. And then, they finally figured out what I had told them at first, and they needed a replacement. So, they went on and ordered a motor. My son is buying a home and I told him to make sure to put a warranty on it and I recommended Home Warranty of America.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I have had home warranties for several years and this is the first time I've had an issue where the standard operating procedures of the company and lack of accountability of employees has caused me to question if the company stand beside the vision they have placed on their website. In January 2019 during a history making polar vortex in Bloomington, IL. we had a furnace issue in our new home. I called HWA following the process for service to be requested. They indicated it would be 24-48 hours until we may receive a call for service to be scheduled. I inquired about using a local vendor and paying for the service if HWA has a reimbursement process. Fortunately, the answer was yes. Everything at this point is going smoothly and HWA is standing beside their product. Our work was completed and paid for by me on January 22, 2019.

On January 28, 2019 I submitted the paid invoice from the vendor per the employees email instructions. Note on the invoice it clearly states that the owner of the HVAC company spoke with Amy at HWA and they adjusted pricing from the HVAC companies prices to be align with those that HWA receives from their vendors. Amy provided the authorization for the work at the agreed upon/negotiated pricing. I was told that it would be 4 - 6 weeks before I would receive the reimbursement. I gave HWA 6 weeks for reimbursement.

On 3/13/19 I called to inquire about the reimbursement the employee indicated it had just been approved and would be mailed out on that Friday, 3/15/19. I allowed 2 weeks to receive the reimbursement. I called today to check on the status and was told that there wasn't a record of my call on 3/13 nor had they received the invoice for the completed work.

The employee, Oscar, indicated that if I would forward the invoice today he would submit it for processing and I would receive a call regarding the approval of the reimbursement, etc. Oscar did just that - it was only a few short hours until I received the call back. At that time I was informed that the reimbursement would be $100 less than the invoice because is reflects the price that HWA could get the work completed for with their vendors. Here is where the frustration, disappointment and feelings of a company taking advantage of individuals who contract with them.

I have detailed notes of the authorization, approved negotiated amount with the vendor completing the work and called to confirm what occurred to be correct with my records with the vendor, and HWA indicates they only "authorized" the work not approved the amount. That I will not receive reimbursement from them until I agree to the settlement and plus I have to wait an additional 3 - 4 weeks for processing. Of course they said they would see if it could be expedited. So I asked to speak to their supervisor, the supervisor of course follows a written script and has no authority to listen or make right the situation but only to reiterate what has already been said.

Both the individuals were apologetic and my issue is not with them - they are only doing what is expected of them as employees of HWA. It isn't about the $100 difference - it is about the principal of the time passed, the lack of accountability for the employee not doing his job in January, an employee not doing their job on 3/13/19 when I first called to inquire about the reimbursement and told that it would be on it's way that Friday. The employees today only have done what they are limited to do and the "buyer" is stuck with accepting what is said on this date despite the previous discussions. Even though I know in order to receive my reimbursement which will be $100 less - I have to say "I agree" despite being frustrated with the process and what appears to be a lack on integrity for HWA.

Original review: March 27, 2019

We've been with Home Warranty of America for eight years now. We use them two to three times a year and it's always a good experience. Just two months ago, we filed a claim for a plumbing issue. Submitting the claim was a fast and easy process and the rep I talked to spoke to me in Spanish. That was great because my English is not very good. I was so happy. The day after that, a contractor came. And the issue got fixed.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi, Alejandra! We are thrilled to hear that your overall experiences with HWA have been exceptional! This is the type of experience that we hope to provide for each of our customers. We certainly appreciate you sharing your experience with us in this review, Alejandra! Thank you for taking the time, and have an awesome week! - Jack

Original review: March 26, 2019

We already had a home warranty but we decided to shop around and look for a new one. We landed with Home Warranty of America due to the coverage for the cost versus what we were currently paying. We normally called when we submitted a claim. It was a simple process and it was usually fine with the claims representatives.

Our expectation was that we should hear from the contractor within 48 hours. Normally, our dealings with the contractors were fine since we knew whom we liked and we could request for them. But there have been a couple of times when they didn’t get the claim, so we had to follow up and get the claims process started again. The repairs done have made the day-to-day operations in our home better. We don't have to worry about something being broken or the stress of the extra cost. Our experience with HWA has been pretty easy and we're always happy with the fact that we can get the contractors that we already know and trust.

Home Warranty of America response

Thank you for this wonderful review, Carrie! We are so pleased to know that having a home warranty through our company provides you with some peace of mind, and that your previously filed claims have been handled accurately and efficiently. This is the type of experience we strive to provide for each of our customers. Thanks for the feedback, Carrie! Have a wonderful day! - Jack

Original review: March 26, 2019

I had a plumbing claim with Home Warranty of America. I was out of town working, and my mom was keeping the house. The tub in the kid's bathroom wasn’t draining. The guys who went here did not clear it all the way out. When I take a shower, I want all the water to go down but it’s just coming out. HWA were able to locate us a plumber and get somebody to come out within a reasonable amount of time.

Recently, my washer went to crap. It flooded my entire basement. It’s a mess. I will have to replace drop ceiling tiles and carpets from water damage. I’ve been travelling, and I had not received a phone call from the service provider. I don’t know if they had tried to contact me and I've missed it. I contacted HWA back and they went ahead and got somebody scheduled to come out. They came out and looked at the washer, but they couldn’t figure out what was wrong. I’m waiting on a response back from them in regards to if they're gonna try to fix it or what’s gonna happen. I’m hoping to hear something back from them today because they came out last Wednesday.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Please please please, if you have to purchase a home warranty, go anywhere but Home Warranty of America, Inc. They are PATHETIC to say the least. PATHETIC SERVICE. This is the home warranty that I received when I purchased my home. Shortly after I called in for a plumbing issue. 3 months later, same issue. Every 3-5 months for the last 2 and a half years, I’ve had someone out for this same issue. I’ve paid $100 deductible every single time. The last time, I decided to seek help outside of the warranty company. The warranty company agreed to reimburse me as long as the diagnosis was called in by the plumbing company.

Long story short, they pulled the toilet and made a permanent repair and let us know that what the other companies had been doing was a temporary solution. The job was $700. We also had to replace our carpet ($1600) due to this ongoing issue. The warranty company let us know that the reimbursement amount would be $200??? I requested to speak to a supervisor and they told me they have no live supervisors and they could only put in a request for someone to call. We should hear from them in 24-48 hours. No call. Called back. Same thing. I’ve called at least 5 times requesting a supervisor only for nobody to return my call.

So to recap, over the last 2.5 years, we’ve had a variety of plumbing companies out for the same issue at $100 per visit. Not to mention the monthly payment that we pay for the warranty. Carpet replacement due to an issue that should have been repaired a long time ago at $1600. Am additional $700 to actually repair the issue. And they want to offer us $200 reimbursement and won’t even call us back. Please don’t waste your money here. If you do, you will regret it.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I’m not happy with Home Warranty of America at all. When we first started, the interactions with their reps were fine. Now, they're horrible. Their price and what they cover have gone up. When the repair guy came out for the water heater, they couldn't fix it until they got a reply back from HWA. It was ridiculous. And when the repair guy came out for the garage door opener, he said that due to its age, it would be better just to replace it. We were told that HWA couldn’t do that and they just had to replace the board. And so it’s gonna break again. HWA is not a good quality company anymore. I wouldn't recommend them to a single person.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Signing up with Home Warranty of America was easy and their reps were okay. I usually submit claims online and they usually respond within a day. Contractors usually come out within a couple of days and their professionalism and quality of work are great.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi Jennifer, and thank you for the feedback! We appreciate you taking some time to share a review with us, based on your personal experience with HWA. We look forward to our next opportunity to serve you, Jennifer. Have a wonderful weekend! - Jack

Original review: March 24, 2019

When I purchased the house, Home Warranty of America came with it. I compared their rates with the other companies and for the most part, Home Warranty had better rates. When I submitted a claim over the phone, it was quick and easy. The interaction with the reps was good and their professionalism was great. They tell you when the contractors would come. Also, the tech who came over was professional, courteous and down-to-earth. I recommend HWA to others.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Jonathan! We were thrilled to read your review, and to hear that you have had such outstanding interactions with our Care Team and the service technicians that have visited your home. This is the type of experience we work so hard to provide to our valuable customers. We certainly appreciate you taking the time to share this review, Jonathan, and we hope you have a fantastic week! - Jack

Original review: March 23, 2019

I filed a claim for an air conditioner last summer with Home Warranty of America and they sent someone over and it wasn’t fixed. They said they were gonna send someone else or see about getting a new air conditioner but after that, we never heard anything back from them. I called them week after week after week because it was during the summer, 100-degree weather, and nothing. They said that it was being worked on and that someone is gonna decide. I ended up having to get a new unit myself. Their claim process is easy and I have had a couple other issues where they responded quickly but since the air conditioner is a major appliance, they just never did anything about it. I definitely wouldn’t recommend Home Warranty of America. They need to respond in a timely manner.

Original review: March 22, 2019

SAVE YOURSELF THE MENTAL ANGUISH AND DO NOT USE HOME WARRANTY OF AMERICA. I have rarely worked with people less interested in helping you. I had a basic service request for a leaky dishwasher that has taken 2 and a half months to fully handle. Initially, the technician they sent out told my fiance and I that the leak was due to an issue with the door panel and he would submit that, but would advise that the repair would be more expensive than it's worth and suggest we get a new dishwasher. Sounds perfect, right? Except the tech never submitted the request.

Only when I called a week later did I learn that no service report was submitted, so then I had to go through the hassle of calling the technician and finding out why no report was logged. That alone was a small nightmare, with several back and forth calls that finally resulted in HWA suggesting we have another technician come out for a second opinion. Since HWA was requesting the second opinion, we were told HWA would cover the $75 service fee. However, when the Sears tech arrived, HWA had NOT PAID THE SERVICE FEE AND THE TECHNICIAN REFUSED TO LEAVE WITHOUT BEING PAID. That in and of itself was highly unprofessional and a little disturbing - imagine a grown man refusing to leave your home despite several polite requests unless you hand over a credit card!

When I brought this issue up with HWA, I was bounced around for close to an hour, talking with 4 people before the 5th person told me I wasn't an authorized user and he could not help me, and could do nothing about contacting someone I had previously been speaking with to clarify. He absolutely refused to help me. I got frustrated, hung up, immediately called back, and the person I spoke with assured me right off the bat I was an authorized user. Facepalm.

I finally spoke with Jerry **, a supervisor, who told me he would handle the reimbursement for the service fee once I sent him the invoice. I sent him the invoice, and he denied the reimbursement request because, according to him, the invoice did not show that we paid despite indicating a zero balance for the service and indicating payment was through our credit card. Jerry ** then decided, because he is a terrible service provider, that he would NOT follow up and try to get to the bottom of why the invoice wasn't acceptable. I called back to inquire about the reimbursement and only then found out the initial request was rejected.

FINALLY someone took the initiative to reach out directly to Sears for the invoice and he was able to process the reimbursement request. However, I was told it would take 24-48 hours and assumed that meant we would receive the reimbursement electronically. However, when I called to ask about the status of the request (because of course I never received any confirmation) I was told it was approved and a check would arrive in TWO TO THREE WEEKS!!! That means IF we receive the check (I'm still not convinced), it will be close to SIX WEEKS since this issue of paying the service fee and dealing with this headache of reimbursement. TRULY TRULY THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE EVER. TALK ABOUT A SCAM!

These people will take your money and not lift a finger to help you until you reach your wits' end and demand to speak to a supervisor. And then there are no supervisors available! I have put in now THREE requests to speak with a supervisor, and was told someone would call me within 24-48 hours. I have never received a callback, and every time I call to ask about my request there is no request to speak to a supervisor in my file. I am so irate about this company, and sadly all I can do is advise you to run as fast as you can away from these terrible terrible people who will not help you in any way!!!

Original review: March 22, 2019

I used to be with American Home Shield. I looked at Home Warranty of America's reviews online and I used them for one of my two houses. I had no concern, so I moved my other house towards HWA. I had a very good experience signing up and the guy I dealt with was helpful. I had been with them for four or more years now. Submitting claims was usually very easy, but six months back, they had an issue with their website, so I struggled a lot to submit any claims online. The contractors in our region are good, but I prefer that when I have a contractor at home, the same one will be coming back if I like them. It would also be good if they can do it online. I will definitely recommend HWA to a friend.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Ahmed! We certainly appreciate your loyalty over the past four years, and we thank you for taking the time to submit a review based on your personal experience. We are proud to hear that we have your recommendation, and that you now have us as your home warranty provider on a second residence! Thank you for the review, Ahmed, and have a fantastic day! - Jack

Original review: March 20, 2019

I would not recommend this company to anyone. And this is not this first issue I have had with them. I pay for extra coverage for exterior plumbing and sewer issues on top of standard warranty. My home has flooded 3 times and this time the plumber actually is trying to find the problem. He requested that they pay for a camera to diagnose the problem. And guess what!! It was denied! They said it was outside home. Well, number one I pay for outside coverage. Number two they can’t diagnose this problem without a camera. So, once again, they are messing me around rather than being a respectable company and taking care of their customer according to the contract I signed up for. So now it is just a matter of whether I hire an attorney or continue to let everyone know what I think of this company both online, via channel 2 Works For You and verbally.

Original review: March 20, 2019

We’ve had Home Warranty of America ever since we bought our house 12 years ago and they've always been reliable. They stand up for their word and they do what they're supposed to do. Submitting claims over the phone is easy and everyone I've ever spoken to there have always been very nice and helpful. Plus, the contractors that they have sent were very good except for one but they sent someone else out and I was very pleased after that. Home Warranty of America is an excellent company and I would recommend them.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Morning, Joyce. We wanted to thank you for the wonderful review and 5-star rating! We are proud to hear that we have your recommendation, and we sure appreciate your loyalty over the last 12 years. We look forward to our next opportunity to provide you will outstanding service! Thank you, Joyce, and have a wonderful Monday! - Stevie

Original review: March 19, 2019

I’ve been with Home Warranty of America for about nine years now and I normally submit my claims online. I can find something right away on their website. I’ve had problems with plumbers though and I’ve asked HWA to send a couple of other people and they did but I never had a good plumber come over. But it’s not the representative’s fault. They’ve been really responsive and I've had a pretty good experience with HWA.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi Leann, and thank you for sharing a review based on your personal experience with us! We appreciate you taking some time to provide this feedback, Leann, and we look forward to our next opportunity to serve you. Have an awesome weekend! - Jack

Original review: March 18, 2019

I bought a house 4 months ago with 13 months Platinum plan. I filed claim regarding to roof leak and water leak a month ago. I have to make multiple phone calls and live chat regarding our claim status but all of them declined. The company refused to give me copy of report from vendors they sent to inspect the house. They just told me that my claim is not approved. I have no idea what is issue with my roof leak either water leak and why they refused. This is very bad reputation.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 18, 2019

I contacted HWA regarding a inoperable ceiling fan. The light works fine but the fan just has a low buzz when you try and turn it on. I contacted HWA on 2/20/19 to see about getting someone out to fix it. Within 24 hours I was sent an e-mail with a claim number and a contact name of a firm that would handle the repair. The e-mail indicated said company would contact me with 1 business day to schedule an assessment ( this was the only positive) 3 business days goes by so I contact the firm and they state that they do not work with HWA but it is not worth it to try and fix the ceiling fan, just go to Lowe's and buy a ceiling fan and they will install it for a service fee of $175.

When I explain that I have a home warranty with HWA and the maximum change is $100, I was told that sir we don't do service calls for that price. So I reached out to HWA and was assured that that is not the case and they would elevate the call to the next level as the first contractor was not satisfactory. I wait a week, no contact from HWA. I call and ask the status (those keeping track 3rd call) and told they are having a hard time finding a contractor to do the work in my area (Albany, NY). I wait another week and follow-up to try and see if any progress has been made, nope they will escalate the request again (4th call).

I request a follow-up update from HWA and was told someone will be in touch in 24-48 hours. No response in 128 hours so today (3/18/19) I called HWA for the fifth time and am rather upset that HWA cannot seem to have access to any contractors in my area to perform the work. I open the yellow pages and find an electrician and he will be by this afternoon to look at the issue but he tells me the fan motor is probably shoot and it's not cost effect to repair it as a new unit is cheaper.

So yes HWA will let me hire my own electrician to perform the work but BEFORE he can do the work he was has call HWA to get their approval, now I could understand if HWA was paying for this I would say ok, a little weird but no I have to pay the contractor the cost of the fan, installation and a trip charge and then I have to submit the invoice to HWA and they will review it and determine what they will will cover and if it is a covered part that broke they will reimburse me some of the cost in approximately 4-6 weeks.

If they have already reviewed it and approved the repair/replacement why are they taking an additional 4-6 weeks to approve payment. If I am paying for the repair/replacement why does my contractor need to call them and get approval to correct the problem. If you are offered or god forbid pay for a warranty from HWA run away it would better serve you to put the upfront premium in an account and draw on it. I have spent over 3 hours on the phone trying to resolve this issue, I have asked to speak with a supervisor and for the last 3 calls there is never one available. The call center is very adept at not providing any real information. In summary 5 calls were made by me and not one return call or follow-up from HWA. If I could rate HWA negative stars I would. I would welcome the opportunity to speak to anyone from HWA my contact information can be found under # **.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi Frank, and thank you for sharing a review! We are sorry to see that you are frustrated, and we would like to help. We apologize for not being able to provide you a vendor during the early states of your claim. The claim notes show that on 3/18/19, you were offered, and accepted, the option to provide your own vendor, and you agreed to the conditions for reimbursement. We don't see that there has been any communication from your vendor, or from you, since 3/18/19. Please make sure that your service technician calls in with a diagnosis before starting any work. The work must be authorized ahead of any services being rendered, to ensure that a reimbursement can be processed after the work has been completed. If there are any questions we can answer or concerns that we may address, please do not hesitate to contact us or you may connect with one of our Live Chat agents. Thank you, Frank, and have a great day! - Jack

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 18, 2019

How many people are concerned with the size of the hot water heater in a house that they are in the process of buying? Most reasonable people are worried about the items on the inspection and the disclosure. SO maybe it's time to rethink buying a “home warranty.” If they don’t want to cover the appliances that are connected to the house as part of the transaction, they should NOT accept full payment for a house full of appliances.

Maybe market for different size houses or if you must put a limit on the amount that can be paid out, then put a limit on it, and adjust the cost upfront. Don’t except payment for a service to cover a large home if you won’t Warranty it. SO BUYER BEWARE. Take a little time and have your realtor get you a copy of the long contract, sit down and make yourself a list of everything that has a exclusion so you can give it to your inspector before he goes in. There is a neat little sales chart that you are shown, so you can pick how much you want to spend. It doesn’t have any exclusions on it.

Here is a example of what you are given once you log in and create an account, after you purchased. (Water Heater, Parts and components of gas, tankless, electric, or oil water heaters, including circulating pumps, except: NOT COVERED: solar water heaters or components, fuel, holding or storage tanks, noise, energy management systems, flues and vents, problems resulting from sediment, units exceeding 75 gallons, drain lines and drain line components).

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Joe. We hate to see that you are frustrated due to the status of your water heater claim, and we are sorry for the upset it has caused you. Having said that, we do make every effort to operate as transparently as possible. As a result, our contracts do not contain fine print, they use clear language and all exclusions are outlined in bold text. Unfortunately, one such exclusion is for water heaters that exceed 75 gallons. Since your water heater exceeded 75 gallons, it was not eligible for coverage. We do offer our homeowners several different levels of coverage, so that they may truly design a policy that fits their budget and their needs. We thank you for taking some time to share a review, Joe, and we hope you have a great day! - Jack

Original review: March 18, 2019

When we purchased the home in 2015, Home Warranty of America was recommended by the Realtor. We decided to put a warranty on the property since you never know what you would run into. Signing up for the program was not a problem at all. They did all the work and I just got to renew it after the first year. When I submit a claim, I do it online and their website is easy to use. I've done three claims and there was one situation where I never got a response from the contractor. I followed it up with an email, but I just canceled it eventually. It was an issue we were having with the garage door, so I took care of it myself.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Morning, Daniel! We wanted to take a moment to thank you for sharing a review based on your personal experience with our company. We are sorry to hear that you had a contractor that was not responsive, and are confident that this was a one-off type situation. If you do happen to experience this again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us so that we may re-assign your claim to another contractor. We appreciate the feedback, Daniel, and wish you a fantastic weekend! - Jack

Original review: March 17, 2019

When I closed on the house, part of the transaction was Home Warranty of America and I had a good experience with them for a year, so I decided to stay. I file my claims online and navigating their website is easy. They get in touch with me and then move forward. They usually send contractors within a day or two which is prompt. During the cold days of last year when my heat pump went out, Home Warranty of America sent out people the next day. I had another problem with my dryer and that was a couple of days but it was still prompt. It exceeded expectations. Plus, the contractors were very courteous and respectful. They explained to me what was going on and their quality of work was very professional. Home Warranty of America made my life easier. It released some day-to-day stress of not having to worry about what's going on in our home and I can focus on my work. I'm very satisfied with them.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Morning, Jonathan! We wanted to thank you for taking a moment to share this wonderful review, based on your own personal experience with our company. Our goal is to always exceed our customer's expectations, so it is very rewarding to see you mention that in your review! We look forward to our next opportunity to serve you, Jonathon. Have a fantastic weekend! - Jack

Original review: March 16, 2019

Submitting claims to Home Warranty of America is easy online but I'm dissatisfied with our most recent claim. When their contractor was trying to look for a leak, they put a hole in it and said it was gonna be covered but it wasn't covered. Other than that, I usually have a positive experience.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Art. We are pleased to know that, historically, your experiences with HWA have been positive! We can understand the frustration goes along with finding out that some of the required work is not covered. We see that you said the technician told you the work would be covered, but please keep in mind that the technicians we dispatch are not employees of HWA, nor do they have any influence regarding coverage decisions. If you ever have questions regarding coverage, please do not hesitate to connect with one of our Live Chat agents. You may also view your contract at any time through our online portal at www.hwahomewarranty.com. Thank you for the feedback, Art, we hope you have a wonderful day! - Jack

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 15, 2019

Filing claims with Home Warranty of America is difficult on weekends. Sometimes, if I need to submit something on a weekend, the response is, "We don't have anybody here right now. We'll get back to you when we can." But on a weekday, it's not so bad. Also, the contractors that they’ve sent are fine but their process needs to be improved in terms of after the claim is made, getting it approved, communication with the customer, to then getting the timeliness of getting parts after the contractors come out, and getting approval for what the contractors recommend to fix the problem. The last claim I had was mishandled and I'm still a little upset about that.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Andrew. We are sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with our claims process. We appreciate you taking the time to provide your personal experience with us. We are working diligently to improve processes within our company to ensure that we have consistently great customer satisfaction. We appreciate your loyalty and patience while we work to improve, and we look forward to our next opportunity to serve you. Thank you for the feedback, Andrew, and have a wonderful weekend! - Jack

Original review: March 14, 2019

I will begin with our first week in our new home. On day 6 my husband got into the shower only to find that there was no hot water. Long story short, he figured it was the hot water heater. I made my first call to Home Warranty of America on day 7 in our new home. Initially the process seemed efficient, although they did not actually get a plumber to our home until day 8. We live in Las Vegas. No shortage of plumbers here. So the first company came out and determined that the hot water heater was a no good. He had the conversation with the Home Warranty of America representative from our garage. She informed him that they would need additional time to approve that and he should leave and they would contact us. I did not hear from them that day.

The next morning after I called them, I was informed that our hot water heater was a Whirlpool and the company that they had sent out the previous day was not authorized to work on a Whirlpool? So, they sent another company out. This plumber found the same issue that the first plumber did. Again, another conversation with rep at Home Warranty of America and the plumber in our garage.

Again, this plumber is told that they would need more time for authorization to replace the hot water heater. This plumber actually attempted to advocate for us and the time this company was just leaving us without hot water. Home Warranty did not back down. They took another 24 hours to approve and another 24 hours to get the plumber out here to replace the Hot Water Heater. We went a total of 6 days without hot water. During this time I made several phone calls to customer service who treated me like crap and two actually hung up on me. This company is a scam. If you believe the five star reviews you will be SORRY!

Original review: March 14, 2019

I've been with Home Warranty of America for eight years now. The home warranty was given to me when I bought the house so I continued on them. I kept it as it is and my experience signing up for the service was unexpectedly good. Submitting a claim is so easy too. I do it over the phone and the representatives are perfectly knowledgeable in what they are talking about. The contractors even call me within two hours sometimes and everything is perfect when I'm dealing with them. My experience with this company has been the best.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Walid! We are so thrilled that your overall experience with us has been outstanding! We certainly appreciate your loyalty over the years, and we thank you for taking a moment to share a review based on your personal experience. We look forward to out next opportunity to serve you, Walid! Have an awesome weekend! - Jack

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 13, 2019

I have had multiple claims with Home Warranty of America related to plumbing and water issues. I have found that, generally, the issues are not covered due to the fine print of the contract. I've also found that for stuff that is covered such as clogged drains, the network of plumbers that Home Warranty of America has access to has struggled to fix the issue in a timely manner. In at least two cases, the initial plumbers were not able to fix the clogged drains and that took multiple days. Then, for a specialist to come out and redo the drain again, that took a couple more days. About eight months later, I found the same drain still having problems. So, I didn't even bother using the Home Warranty plumbers and instead, I called a plumber out of the phonebook and the service was much quicker and effective.

I tried to address this a little bit last year when I was encountering the issues where I actually found a preferred local vendor and asked if they would be willing to sign up as a vendor that Home Warranty of America partners with but they didn't feel it was worth it to partner with Home Warranty of America. What that suggested to me was that the incentives that Home Warranty of America provides to its contracting partners were not sufficient for these higher skilled plumbers to sign up for.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Morning, Brett. We regret to hear that you have experienced issues with one of our contracted plumbers. We do have a dedicated vendor development department that reviews and approves service providers through an extensive process; having said that, if you do ever have a negative experience with one of our selected vendors, please do not hesitate to reach out to us and provide that feedback. We appreciate you taking the time provide us with this feedback, Brett. We are working diligently to improve processes and enhance the customer experience. Thank you for the feedback and the review, Brett! Have a fantastic day! - Jack

Home Warranty of America coverage exclusions

In some instances, there are parts of otherwise covered items that will be excluded from coverage, so it’s important to read your contract to fully understand what “coverage” for each item truly entails. Home Warranty of America does specify some coverage exclusions, which is typical for all home warranty service plans. Typically parts that are not essential to the item performing its core function may be excluded. For example, while dishwashers are covered by both of HWA’s plans, racks, baskets, rollers and door seals are not covered. Similarly, the electrical system coverage won’t cover items like fixtures. You can find a full list of exclusions on Home Warranty of America's sample contract.

Home Warranty of America coverage limits

Home Warranty of America’s coverage limits per term are no more than $5,000 per covered item or $15,000 total per contract term. Standard across home warranty companies, none of their plans cover pre-existing conditions. Specific coverage limits and maximum payouts can depend on the specific appliance or system in need of repair or replacement, outlined in the chart below.

ItemHome Warranty of America’s coverage limit
Electrical or plumbing rust and corrosion$2,000
Heating systems, tankless water heaters, well pumps, saltwater pool equipment$1,500
In-ground pool and spa equipment, water heaters, stand-alone ice makers or freezers$1,000
Ductwork and plumbing systems$1,000 for inaccessible items
Roof leak repair, septic systems, toilets, water softeners$500
Burglar and fire alarm systems, ceiling and exhaust fans, central vacuums$400
Refrigerant$10/pound

Home Warranty of America claims

Claims can be submitted 24/7, including holidays, online or through their toll-free number. Emergency services can be rushed at HWA’s discretion. Someone over the age of 18 must be present in the home during the repair.

How to request service from Home Warranty of America:

1. Submit a claim online or over the phone as soon as an issue is discovered.
  2. HWA will contact an authorized technician within 48 hours to schedule your requested repair.
  3. Pay the service call fee ($75 or $100, depending on your plan).

Should the repair fail or the same issue occur again within the service recall period (90 days on parts and 30 days on labor), HWA will send a technician to complete new repairs without charging you a service fee or any other additional costs.

Home Warranty of America FAQ

What is Home Warranty of America’s premium coverage option?

Premium coverage expands your standard coverage to include protection for equipment and parts that aren’t standard to home warranty contracts, namely fixtures and accessories like shower heads or dishwasher racks. The plan option covers 30+ items.

What is Home Warranty of America’s cancellation policy?

You can cancel your contract at any time but need to cancel within 30 days to receive a full refund. Cancelling after 30 days will include a small cancellation fee of $30 or 10 percent of the contract fee, whichever is less. Overall, we’ve seen far higher cancellation fees among other companies.

Is a home inspection required by Home Warranty of America?

No. No inspection is required and you will not be denied coverage based on the age of your home, systems or appliances.

Is Home Warranty of America worth it?

Home Warranty of America has several aspects that stand out and make it a good option for homeowners looking for coverage for their systems and appliances.

Home Warranty of America’s record of satisfied homeowners, focus on fast, effective and professional service and number of coverage choices, making it a top choice in home warranties. Both the Premier and the Premier Plus plans from Home Warranty of America offer substantial coverage and peace of mind for homeowners. Our favorite features include the Premier Protection plan, which adds coverage for parts like fixtures and appliance accessories. This coverage is not common to home warranty service plans, and it’s an affordable add-on that really extends the value of your contract. Additionally, the GreenPlus and OrangePlus add-ons make Home Warranty of America one of the most inclusive providers we’ve seen.

Home Warranty of America Company Information