It's that easy Request Information
2.88/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At Home Warranty of America, Inc. we have built our business on simplifying the lives of our customers and helping them immediately, in times of great need and uncertainty. We strive to always offer our customers fast, easy solutions with our network of qualified service technicians.

Home Warranty of America specializes in home warranty plans, real estate, home sellers warranty, appliance warranty, and home protection plans. Whether you are planning to sell your home, buy a new one, or just staying in your home, we can save you money and time, and bring you peace of mind when you need it most. Get a free quote from us today!

BBBB Rating
View More View More

1936 Home Warranty of America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 4 featured reviews
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I've had Home Warranty of America for 15 years and recently, they just went down in my book. Previously, I used to put in claims whenever I had a problem, they used to take care of things. Now, it's almost like they try to find ways not to cover things. I had a shower problem for example. And they couldn't resolve the problem. The one plumber that came in, didn't do anything other than running the water. He said he couldn't fix it. They got another plumber to come in, he played around and he did a few things. And whilst there was some hot water coming out, it wasn't properly fixed. When I put the dial on to hot water, cold water was coming in. When I put the water on the other side, then the opposite was happening. But even then I was okay with the provider, it was gonna work, within a day or two, that broke down as well. The plumber had told me that I really needed to change the whole system in order to get a hot shower from this location.

When we got in touch with Home Warranty, they said they don't do all that. And as far as they were concerned, it was working and it was producing hot water. So, they couldn't replace it for me and there was nothing they could do for me. The reps seemed to be okay though. They're very polite, but they take a little longer time to fill in the claim, and then they put you on hold. I'm not happy with Home Warranty at all. I wish they would go back to the old standards, which I was really impressed with. I don't like doing business with new people. I stick to whoever I know but when they don't stick to their end of the deal, there's no point in doing business with them.

Home Warranty of America response
Good Afternoon, Julho. We are sorry to hear of your disappointment in the service and coverage decisions of late. We certainly understand the frustration that goes along with finding out a claim is not eligible for coverage. There are many factors that we take in account before making a decision on the eligibility of the claim. Unfortunately, not all claims can be (completely) covered per the contract's exclusions, and I apologize if these exclusions were not thoroughly explained to you previously. If there are any outstanding questions or concerns that you may have regarding coverage decisions, please do not hesitate to contact us. Our Customer Care Team can be reached via phone or you can connect with our Live Chat Team.

Thank you for your loyalty over the last 15 years, Julho. We appreciate you being a valued customer of HWA. - Jack

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I had Sears Warranty at the apartment building and at my home but when I moved, Home Warranty of America was out here and we kept them. The technicians who were sent by HWA were knowledgeable. If I got a faucet in there that cost $800 and if something goes wrong with that faucet, an $800 faucet should be put up there. That’s the type of deal that I’m used to but HWA doesn’t deal that way. If I got a brand of faucet, they would say that they couldn’t get me that brand faucet. They would give me an aluminum one. HWA doesn't come up to Sears’ standards. It’s fine if they want their customer to pay half but they should not tell the customer that they're gonna get them something cheaper. I got a nice house and I don’t want anything cheaper.

When my water heater went out, they sent the guys out to fix it and they wanted to give me a cheaper water heater. I said no and that I would pay the difference. Also, when my furnace went out, the technician they sent did his best but he didn’t know what to do. HWA has a $100 deductible and this guy they sent three times couldn’t fix it. So, I called the guy who installed the furnace and he charged $100 which I paid out of my pocket. Other than that, Home Warranty of America is good. If I need them, they would send someone out but I wouldn’t recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Our realtor paid part of the Home Warranty of America policy and then we had to utilize it because of two little problems. We had a claim for the counter microwave. I tried and got in contact with the installer but he could only come out and put it in. They couldn't do the measurements so we had to do it ourselves. Then we got the new vent for the shroud and then found out it wasn't needed. If only the installer came out earlier, he could have seen that situation but other than that, he was very good. They were quite professional and were recommended. The claim went on quite a while but it finally got settled. Then we had a water heater problem and we paid part of it. Other than that, we're fairly satisfied with everything and that's why we renewed with them.

Home Warranty of America response

Thank you for taking time to share your experience in this review, Wilson! We are so pleased to hear that you have renewed, and we look forward to serving you for many years to come. Have a great day, Wilson! - Stevie

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I go on the Home Warranty of America website to submit a claim and it’s very user-friendly. Also, the technicians that have come out to my home are good overall.

Home Warranty of America response

So glad to hear that your experience with us has been excellent, Kimberly! We look forward to working with you in the future. Have an awesome day! - Jack

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I thought it was a good idea, with the age of the systems in the house, to protect myself in terms of how much I might be out of pocket if something were to fail. I've been covered by Home Warranty of America for about 18 months now, and renewing was very easy. When we first purchased the house, we worked with them to have a locksmith come in and change the locks, and it was a very pleasant experience. They did most of the communication with the contractor, had a person contact me and we made an appointment.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Home Warranty of America was the one-year warranty provider of the home I bought. We've had them for five years now and it’s very easy to submit a claim to them. I get a very quick response. They’re great to work with that’s why we’ve kept them for so long. Some of the technicians that came out have been good and some have been bad. The ones that were not so good, I contacted Home Warranty and they immediately, either the same day or next day, had another technician out and they never had a problem sending that. Home Warranty of America really cares about the customers. They even follow-up after the service has been completed to make sure that we are satisfied with the work that we had received. They’ve been very great at honoring their services and we’ve never had a problem with them. I renew every year with them because they back up their products and services.

Home Warranty of America response

We are always thrilled to read a review like yours, Gloria! You have described the outstanding level of service that we strive to provide for all of our homeowners. We are proud to know that we have earned your trust and loyalty, Gloria! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and have a great day! - Jack

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I have had 4 claims so far since getting the warranty and the company covered none of them. Completely useless. Better it is to not get warranty and put the money aside for home repairs directly. This warranty is utterly useless.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Plumbing line to ice maker was leaking. They say ice maker repairs are covered... but not the water line... not the right kind of pipe to be covered under plumbing. Took 15 minutes and charged me $128 in addition to $100 that I was suppose to pay. I was told WHEN I FILED CLAIM my problem was covered and would only cost the $100. This company is a rip-off.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Barbara. We are sorry to hear of the frustration and upset you experienced regarding your plumbing claim. We can see that a representative from our Office of the President has called you today and left a message. We are confident that they will be able to successfully resolve this situation for you, and we ask that you contact them back at your earliest convenience. Thank you, Barbara. - Stevie

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I went into Sears to get a washer and dryer. The salesman talked me into getting a warranty and it seemed like a good plan and it still is. Home Warranty of America was the best one that I had heard so I went with them. However, my experience with their service was very poor. They seemed to not want to stand up to the warranty that’s written on the insurance paper. We have a bottom and top oven. And they seemed to wanna give me a single oven. It has been about three or four months now and they still haven’t settled that case. I submitted a claim to them about my furnace about three weeks ago and I also haven’t heard from them about that.

With the oven issue, they told me to go out and choose one. But we found out the one that we have is a double gas oven. They don’t make or build with gas anymore. So we had to settle for an electric one. But in doing that, we have to hire a repairman to change it over to electric. We don’t have that money to hire a repairman. The insurance sent a man out. When you turn the gas on and when it gets hot, it turns the fan on. The fan had lacked a cuff when the fan is rubbing against the radiator or the cuff. So the tech said it needed a fan. He tried to get the part but they don’t make those parts.

We’re gonna have to hold the stove until we are able to get some money to change it over. Meanwhile, we’ve been out of oven for the holidays. And my wife now is really mad because she couldn’t cook the way she wanted to for the holidays. We started way before Christmas with the insurance company. They seemed to have been using every check they knew how to be used in order for us to settle for one oven when it was a double oven. So they said that we could accept that, either by cash payment or $860. And then we still have to pay a person to come out of that $860, so that wasn’t much of a choice. We tried everything we could and went to different places. Home Warranty of America was even trying to get us a place for a gas oven online but they don't have one available.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Don’t ever use this company. All calls for claims are handled outside of the United States. Broken English, they couldn’t answer my questions. My claim went in on a Thursday today, Tuesday, I still do not have a working refrigerator. The first service tech they sent out told HWA that the refrigerator could not be fixed. Instead of them processing my claim, they sent a second service tech that told them the exact same thing. Both service techs were very kind and helpful. Both explained, in great detail why it could not be fixed. Second tech gave them Model Number and pictures; but, they waited yet another day.

When I did not hear from them, I called again. Talked to one of their agents. She told me she would send me an email and I was to reply with pictures of the refrigerator, inside and out, and a picture of the model number. Never received email. By the way, she hung up on me because I kept telling her the email hadn’t come through yet. Called again, gave this person model number and info again, still no response as to what they were going to do about refrigerator. Rep called at end of day and requested, AGAIN, that I forward pictures and model and serial number. Called again, was finally told it was processed.

What a horrible experience. Why do we as Americans have to deal with people from other countries with broken English and not a clue as to who, in the United States, I can call to complain. They couldn’t even tell me where in America the main office is located. We have people here in the USA that would love to be able to work from their homes and process claims. And, as talking to the agents, so much laughing and yelling in the background. Not very professional.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I got a home warranty through HWA when we purchased our house in July. In November the HWA HVAC unit went out. I called HWA and requested approval to use the contractor of my choice to do the repair, as the company they chose sent a guy in flip flops and Hawaiian shirt in his own pick up--not very professional to say the least. No company logo, no uniform, and dressed inappropriately. No thanks. Anyway, I got approval for my guy to do the repair. I had to pay out of pocket but HWA said they would mail me a check. After several calls over the past 2 months to check the status, each time given a different excuse as to why I haven't been reimbursed yet, I am still waiting for the check. The customer service reps who answer the phone all have heavy foreign accents and are difficult to understand. They have all stated the check should be mailed soon, etc., but no results yet.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I was not happy with the home warranty I was with. I searched and called and found Home Warranty of America. I went with them and everything has been fine since. I called them once for a clogged toilet problem and their contractor did his thing. Overall, I'm satisfied with them.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Morning, Shannon. Thank you for giving HWA the opportunity to provide you with excellent service! We look forward to working with you for many years to come. Enjoy your day! - Stevie

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

HWA is easy to deal with. Submitting claims is very easy. When I call them, I’m on the phone for less than 10 minutes. They send someone out within 24 hours to three days depending on how soon their provider can get there. So far, I’ve been pleased with the techs they've sent. Issues are normally taken care of in one day. I’m very pleased with Home Warranty of America.

Home Warranty of America response

Thank you for the feedback and the awesome 5-star review, Sylvia! We always strive to provide an efficient and smooth claims process, and we are so thrilled to know that this has been your experience. We look forward to serving you for many years to come! Have a wonderful day, Sylvia! - Stevie

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I have a diamond level home warranty, which is the highest level and most expensive coverage. I had a problem with my refrigerator, which is covered under my plan. I explained exactly what was wrong and they sent out a technician who charged me the deductible for the claim. He told me the door would have to be replaced. Then I got a call from Home Warranty of America telling me they were not going to cover the claim since it was related to an ice maker. I ended up having to pay the deductible even though the technician did not fix the problem and not HWA. Home Warranty of America is refusing to honor the claim. I paid money for the warranty and the deductible and received no service for either. I am a very unhappy customer and feel I have been cheated by Home Warranty of America.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, William. We can certainly understand the frustration caused by finding out that a claim has been excluded from coverage. We apologize for the upset that this situation has caused.

I have reviewed the claim details today, and would like to offer some clarifying information. The technician's diagnosis indicated that the failure was caused by the ice door breaking off of the dispenser assembly. The contract you have specifically excludes coverage for "water and ice dispensers and their respective equipment". As it relates to the trade call fee that you paid, as outlined in the contract, is "an amount due by You for a Service visit by an Authorized repair Technician as listed on the Coverage Letter".

I hope that this information has been helpful, William. If there are any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. You may reach us by phone or feel free to connect with our Live Chat department. Thank you, William, and have a great day. - Jack

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I purchase my home and had a warranty that was given to me from previous owners and I renew it this year. Had an issue with my heater on November 22 2017. They came to my house. They fix the problem. Took them over 4 days to fix the problem. Temperatures in November are cold. Another issue with my heater again on December 18 2018 took them another 4 days because they don’t have the parts available. Now on January 12 am having another issue with the heater again. Temperature today 25 degrees and feels like 18 degrees outside. I have 3 kids and I have had no heat since Friday night and again I called to file the complaint.

They give me a company that don’t work on weekends so if I didn’t call today in the morning for an update I wouldn’t had gotten a call about them coming 'til Monday morning. Is a joke that this company withdraw your payment on time but when I have an issue every time takes 4 days at least to get the problem fixed. They expect to just keep replacing parts instead of a whole unit that is 23 years old. It is still giving me issues.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

The house that I bought originally came with a one-year home warranty with Home Warranty of America and I continued that on, and then I put it on my other house in New Mexico. The signing up process and submitting a claim were a piece of cake. I did several claims before and navigating the website was easy. It was very user-friendly. It was easy to interact as well with the contractors and they went about their business. And usually, it takes within the day for them to come out. Other than the last one, it was very quick. Everybody should have a home warranty. I acquired it for peace of mind especially if you have a catastrophe like when my hot water heater went out. That was $1400 out of pocket immediately. But with Home Warranty of America, it didn't cost me anywhere near that much.

Home Warranty of America response

Thank you for taking some time to provide us with a fantastic 5-star review, William! We agree that having a policy with HWA provides some much needed peace of mind during times of stress related to an appliance or system failure. We are so pleased to know that we have accomplished that with you, William, and we look forward to being your home warranty provider for many years to come. Have a fantastic day! - Stevie

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I called in Thursday 1-10-19 to do a claim on a water leak. I was informed that they did not have any plumbers in my area in contract and that they would call me when they got one. So I called back Friday morning still no help. Keep in mind my water bill is going to be through the roof. Today is Sunday still nobody has reached out to me. I want my monthly premium refunded and help on my water bill. These people do not care about their customers. I have called them everyday. I have spoken with Edgar, Carlos, Alexander and Sallie from the president's office and a Lashonda who was rude. And I'm still waiting on a call from Sallie which she said she would call me back Friday but no call. I'm so disappointed because I have had them for 4 years since I bought my house but this is it. I am going to cancel my policy because my water has been leaking since Thursday and they never tried to call me back or reach out to.

I would advise everybody to really check your policy out because HWA will leave you high and dry. I'm thinking about getting in contact with my Attorney General here and BBB. This really sucks for me. Now I'm going to have to get my leak fixed on my own while I was paying 60 bucks a month for nothing to them. So I wouldn't advise no one to use them. My thing is if you don't have plumbers in contract, if you have a customer with a leak find a plumber and pay so your customers don't have to go through the hell I'm going through. It's just a messed up situation and I'm pissed!!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Our agent bought us our first plan with Home Warranty of America when I bought my home about a year and a half ago. One time, my washer went down and I made a phone call. Within five minutes, I was set up and ready to go. The guy called me the next day and came out the following day. He was very good and quick. He was only here about 20 minutes. It's a very easy and seamless process. Hopefully, I don't have to use them again, but when I do, I will expect the same type of service.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Greg! Thank you for sharing this feedback with us, and for the awesome 5-star rating. We are proud to be your provider, and look forward to serving you in the future, should the need arise. Have a wonderful day, Greg! - Jack

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I’ve not been happy at all with my experience with Home Warranty of America. Their reps were willing to help, but at the same time, they had trouble just understanding what I was asking for and making so many calls having to explain the same thing over and over got a bit frustrating. I prefer speaking to one person. They took way too long just to let me know what was going on with the hood. They said to give them dimensions. But they sent me the information for a stove without explaining that the hood is considered part of the stove and that everything is one unit. They need to explain that to me. They shouldn't just send me something and not explain it to me because then I’m gonna say that I didn’t get what they asked.

I’m also still waiting for them to give me a buyout quote. I was so irritated, I just dropped Home Warranty. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn’t have gotten HWA. I wish I would’ve known that there was a cap and how much it was. All that information would’ve made me a more informed buyer. I'd tell friends who ask about HWA, "Don't."

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I’m a 33-year real estate agent. I write policies for Home Warranty all of the time, and I have them on all of my property. I liked the accessibility to their rep and now they have the concierge for agents, which is a plus. Phoebe from HWA was very personable and helpful. I started writing the HWA policies when they came into our area and I decided to stick with them. And since then, we have had another person in the south and she’s wonderful. I called her twice at a closing within the last three months and she was Johnny-on-the-spot and helped me out to get that done easily. I’ve had much better luck lately with HWA. In the years past, it was difficult with them. But over the last year, it has been great.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Josline. We certainly appreciate your outstanding 5-star review! Our goal is to provide the level of service you outlined below to all of our real estate agent partners and homeowners alike. We are continuously looking for ways to improve our service, communication and efficiency, and we are so glad that you have recognized those efforts! We thank you for your continued loyalty, Josline, and we look forward to serving you for many years to come! Have a great day! - Jack

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Please avoid this company at all costs. I had what should have been a fairly easy claim for a water heater. The service providers sent are unreliable and don't return phone calls to deal with issues. I had to call the warranty to get them to return a phone call. The service provider made a repair and in the process created another issue. After numerous phone calls and a second visit from another of their service providers, the company is denying claim. The service provider damaged my water heater and the company will not take responsibility for the repair. The company does everything they can to exclude coverage. In terms of service, I was promised calls back several times and I always had to initiate all contact as there was no follow-up from anyone at the company. Find another provider and be sure to read the fine print.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I contacted Home Warranty of America and explained to them that I have an A/C company that I want to do the work at my house. They told me to have that A/C company contact them to become a Vendor. The A/C company contacted them over several months, submitted all kinds of paperwork and then nothing back from Home Warranty of America.

The A/C company reached out a few times and never got phone calls back from Home Warranty of America. I needed a new a/c unit, so I called Home Warranty of America and explained to them what was going on. I got told they needed to send one of their HVAC people out to confirm what needed to be done. I was also told that after I pay their HVAC company the $100.00, I would not get reimburse for the replacement of a new system unless I got that A/C company to do the replacement. I explained again that I have an A/C company that I like and if I got another company to replace the unit after their people confirmed it was bad, why wouldn't they pay the other company to replace it. Their response was because they are not a vendor. NEVER WILL RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY AND WILL TELL PEOPLE TO STAY AWAY FROM THEM. Choice Home Warranty is much better!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I’ve always had a home warranty since I purchased my first home 30 years ago. Home Warranty of America covers much more than the other companies did. I purchase Home Warranty in October and they said that it Starts now. Then all of a sudden we had the Indian summer where it got 90 degrees outside and the air condition unit wasn’t cooling. So I said, "Since I have this Home Warranty, and it's already effective, I'll just give them a call and see if somebody can come out and repair it." But they denied it because they said that they thought it was pre-existing. But it was working through the summer and I had it maintained. I just haven't had it on for a while because it has been really cool temperatures for September.

The rep that I talked to was nasty while helping me as if I was trying to steal something. I said, "Well, had I known there was a 30-day waiting period, I wouldn't have called you. I would have called another company.” I was gonna cancel and the Regional Manager intervened and asked me not to do that. But I still had to come out of pocket and got it fixed.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Tina. We are disappointed to hear that you had a less than outstanding experience during the processing of your AC claim. It appears that the claim was denied due to the absence of a home inspection report showing the unit to be in proper working order when the home was purchased. It is understandable that frustration results from finding out that a claim is excluded from coverage, and we apologize for that upset. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you in the future, Tina, and we thank you for sharing this feedback with us. All the best - Stevie

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

These people do nothing but give you the runaround when you call them. They sent a guy out that stayed 5 minutes and did nothing and has not come back and will not answer the phone. They keep telling me they cannot find anyone else. We have been 10 days with clogged pipes and a backed up septic. They found a loophole not to fix our heater.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Afternoon, Allison. There is never an acceptable reason for the lack of responsiveness that you describe in your review. We apologize that you had this experience, and have passed the information on to the appropriate parties to review and deliver any feedback necessary to the relevant parties. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with this information, Allison, as we are always looking for opportunities to improve. We hope to have the chance to provide you with excellent service in the future. Thank you - Jack

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

It's our second year with Home Warranty of America and our first year experience was good. We called in for a claim and we got a young lady who took it. They told me that they had assigned the claim to a garage store company and they would be calling us. The contractors were quick and they called the next day. When the guy came out, he said it was a spring that was up at the top of the thing but that wasn't covered under my warranty. It was 450 bucks for that spring. We had to pay 375 for the spring and labor and then $75 for the HWA fee.

When my wife told the rep that the spring had broken, the rep should have explained what was and wasn't covered. I looked at our warranty when I got it, but it was a lot of pages of small print so I didn't see that the springs weren't covered. The reps also told us that the only thing that was covered when a garage door quits are the two cables in the garage door opener and the door itself and the springs were not. But that spring had broken five years ago and they fixed and paid for it so I am a little disillusioned. I looked at our old warranty with American Home Shield and they would have covered it. The pricing between the two companies was about the same but HWA was a little bit less money. But I am not very happy and I'm not sure if I'll renew with HWA.

Home Warranty of America response
Good Morning, Peter. We regret to hear that your garage door claim experience was frustrating. We certainly understand how learning that a claim is excluded from coverage can be upsetting. Our Care Team representatives should certainly answer any questions regarding coverage or exclusions. Since the representatives are not trained technicians, they cannot speculate as to a diagnosis or possible resolution when discussing a claim. We depend solely on the information received from the authorized repair technician that visits your home to provide a diagnosis, cause and resolution. A coverage decision can only be made after that information is received. Peter, if there are ever any questions regarding your contract, coverage or exclusions that we can help with, please do not hesitate to contact us. You can also view your contract online at any time by visiting our website. Once on the website, you may also connect with one of our Live Chat agents for assistance.

We look forward to the opportunity to serve you in the future, Peter. Have a fantastic day! - Jack

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

This company doesn’t even deserve 1 star. The downstairs of my house flooded on December 8th. I called HWA requesting a plumber shortly after the flood. I was given a plumber to contact ithat was supposedly a 24 hour emergency plumber. This was clearly not the case. After several phone calls trying to find a 24 hour emergency plumber, 2 days with no water and wasting so much of my time calling the claims department, finally, the claims department granted me permission to find my own plumber. Why this was not the case from the beginning, is still a mystery. NOTE: HWA does not have one single plumber that works 24/7 in my area. Yet every number they provided me was “24 Hour Emergency Plumbers”.

Timothy **, Customer Care and Concierge, called me on December 9th. This was 31 hours later. He assured me everything was going to be fine and I was approved to find my own plumber. He also told me I could email my “Paid In Full Invoice” to him and Andrea, his assistant, and I would promptly be reimbursed. Not the case at all.

I contacted a reputable local plumber in my area. After they arrived, we called HWA for approval for the plumber to do the repairs. The Claims Department gave the approval for the cost and the repairs to be done. Shortly after I paid the invoice in full, I forward a copy to Timothy ** and his assistant, Andrea. Two days later, Andrea called me to “offer me a payout”. My invoice total was $405.40. This was after a $40.00 discount was offered from the plumbing company, because the plumber didn’t make it out to my house until 12 hours after the specified time. Andrea offered to pay me $120 less than what the invoice total was. Are you kidding me? Claims approved the vendor and the amount for the repair. I saved $40 and they still want to offer me $120 less?

I sent an email to Timothy **, since he stated I could contact him anytime with any questions or concerns regarding my claim. I didn’t hear anything back from him. No phone call, email, nothing. I sent another email on December 21st, fourteen days after my initial flood. Still, no response. I sent another email on January 2nd, 26 days after the initial flood. He finally responded back to my email with the following: "Sorry for not replying I will be on it shortly. I will call to give advisement on what is up?"

I never heard back from him again, so I sent another email on January 3rd. He has yet to respond back to me. I contacted the claims department and requested to speak to someone in charge. I explained my situation, and the claims rep said she contacted the manager, but he was on another call assisting another customer. The rep assured me the manager would call me back right away. This was 9 days ago. NO ONE, I mean NO ONE has called me back. I still have yet to get paid for my claim and, the company loves their customers so much, my phone is ringing off the hook for someone to help me resolve my concerns. NOT!

I filled out a customer service survey on January 3rd about my experience. Even after all that I have been through, and took the time to complete my concerns in a survey, guess what??!! Yes, no one has yet to call me, I want my money I am entitled to. I paid for the warranty plan in full. They have my money, so now I am just another customer they can steal money from!!! There is a lot of reputable home warranty companies out there. Do your research before throwing your money away on a company that cares absolutely nothing about the customer.

Home Warranty of America response

Good Morning, Chrissi. We hate to hear of the disappointing experience you had, as described in your review. We are always pursuing feedback from our homeowners, so we appreciate you taking the time to detail out what occurred during your claim process. We are constantly looking for ways to improve communication and efficiency, with the goal being to provide each homeowner with an outstanding customer experience. If the washing machine claim is still unresolved, we would like to assist in getting things moving forward for you. Please connect with our Live Chat department on www.hwahomewarranty.com for further guidance. We appreciate you submitting this review, Chrissi, and we look forward to the opportunity to provide you with excellent service in the future. Thank you - Jack

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Having Home Warranty of America hasn't gone as I would have expected. I had a claim for my washing machine and a technician came out. They had some expected diagnosis for a problem and it took a long time for them to come back out. They claimed that there was some issue with ordering the parts and some follow-ups. They claimed that it was because they didn't get approval for the payment of the part that they needed to order.

So, there was a lot of back and forth. I was the one calling quite a bit to follow up on the claim. Thereafter, they had to come back out to install the part and it turned out that it was not the right one. Eventually, they said that the problem could not be fixed even though they ordered a part that didn't seem to fit. I told Home Warranty of America that I preferred to have someone else come out and give us a second opinion. They organized that and I never heard back.

The problem still exists and I've been living with it because I haven't had time to keep following up. It has been going on for months. Once I called and I explained some of the concerns that I had, I got the follow-up which was helpful. I've had issues with other warranty companies that were infinitely worse. Still, I never got any benefit from filing that claim because my problem still exists. Home warranty companies that I've worked with typically outsource the services requested by customers to a local technician. I've looked up the companies HWA outsources to online and they have very, very poor ratings.

HWA should improve the relationship they have with the local companies they outsource to. Their customers are not gonna be happy with the technicians that they will be assigned to. They can easily go around the home warranty and call somebody quite reputable who can be out in 24 hours and give the highest quality service. However, because those companies are not affiliated with or sourced by the warranty company, customers cannot get that benefit. I feel like I paid extra money and got substandard service because I decided to buy the warranty. I would think it’d be almost the opposite and that I should be getting better service because I prepaid.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I receive the warranty from my realtor when I bought the house. I have had several things go wrong and they send someone out. $100 for the service call for them to say it is not covered. I have spent hundreds of dollars and they have covered one thing and it was barely repaired. This company should be forced out of business because they are a total scam.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

When we were in the process of purchasing our house, our real estate agent signed us up with Home Warranty of America and we had a good experience, so we stuck with it. Filing a claim was pretty easy. I'd call the 1-800 number and there were a couple of prompts at first, but then I'd eventually get to a person and tell them what's going on. They would assign somebody and occasionally, it would take a while to get somebody assigned.

The most recent claim we had was the longest time we waited for a contractor to come. There was something that we needed fixed and the contractor that was assigned to us was kind of a flake and he cancelled on us twice. Eventually, we had to call back HWA and got reassigned to somebody else. But other than that, that's normally not what happens. Usually, the first person who gets assigned comes on out and takes care of the thing. All the people that have done work at our house that we've gotten through y'all have been professional. Having a warranty on our property is a good idea, especially since my home is older. We had no clue what was gonna go out.

Home Warranty of America response

Hi there, Wendy! We would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us in this review. We are so glad to know that the large majority of your claims have been resolved efficiently and professionally. Please reach out to us immediately if you experience an issue with a contractor, as you described below. We will certainly work quickly to get another contractor on board and get your claim moving in the right direction! We look forward to the opportunity to continue serving you, Wendy! Enjoy your day! - Jack

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

We’ve had our house for nine years, and we got Home Warranty of America when we bought the house. We’ve had some things done to the house and it has all been fine. When our air conditioner went out the first time. The contractor came, checked it, and then they replaced it. We paid the fee for them to come out, which was $75 at that time. Now, it’s $100 when they come out. It must’ve been in the summer, and they were quick to get out and do it. Since then, the air conditioner has been fine. When we file a claim, we do it online normally. Someone typically calls us the same day or the day after, and they set up a time to come. We like the people who have come out and the ones that we’ve had seemed like reliable people.

Home Warranty of America response

Hello Sheryl, and thank you for this excellent review and 5-star rating. We are so proud to know that we have earned your trust and loyalty! We appreciate you being a long term customer of HWA, and we look forward to continuing to provide you with the most outstanding experience in the industry. Have a wonderful week, Sheryl! - Jack

Home Warranty of America Company Information

www.hwahomewarranty.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.