2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.30/5

At Home Warranty of America, Inc. we have built our business on simplifying the lives of our customers and helping them immediately, in times of great need and uncertainty. We strive to always offer our customers fast, easy solutions with our network of qualified service technicians.

Home Warranty of America specializes in home warranty plans, real estate, home sellers warranty, appliance warranty, and home protection plans. Whether you are planning to sell your home, buy a new one, or just staying in your home, we can save you money and time, and bring you peace of mind when you need it most. Get a free quote from us today!

Home Warranty of America Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?

Original review: July 31, 2020

My water heater went out and flooded my basement. Luckily I was home from work and heard a LOUD pop sound coming from the basement. When I got down there water was rushing out of the bottom part of the water heater near the bottom element compartment and I had no way of stopping it! After spending 7 hours late into the night cleaning up all of the water I called HWA. They contacted a company and sent me the company details to come out and get it fixed.

Later that day I contacted the plumbing company and set up a time to come out. The plumbing company came out the next day, reviewed the water heater and said my water heater will need to be replaced. The plumber took pictures and documentation and took my 100 dollar deductible. The plumber stated he would submit everything and hopefully get my water heater the next day.

The next day I contacted the plumber who stated he is still waiting to get approval from HWA. He stated the company told him they couldn't approve the claim right now because their computers are broken. I called them myself and after 45 minutes of getting the runaround and being put on hold they told me the claim was denied because the plumber had told them the water heater had never previously worked!

After arguing with them about how ridiculous that sounded and being put on hold they then told me I would need to submit my inspection report from 2 years ago when I bought the house to prove I had hot water in my house for the last 2 years and I would have to have a second plumbing company out to prove my water heater was really working before it broke and flooded my basement! After so much frustration I agreed to wait yet another 2 days for another company to come out. They said they were sending me the other company's contact info but they never did.

I called the original plumber that came out and told him what they said. The plumber stated he never told them that and why would he? He doesn't get paid unless he actually does the work. The plumber called me back and stated HWA told him that there was a mixup in claims and that they got my claim mixed up with someone else's claim. He then asked them to approve the claim and they said NO because now they are saying it looks like someone tampered with the water heater. The plumber took pictures of the faulty element and showed it was corroded beyond repair.

The water heater is at least 9 years old and nobody tampered with anything! They are just trying to get out of replacing my aged water heater by giving excuses and lies. The plumber stated they might authorize the repair but they would have to think about it! It's going on 1 week now with no hot water and I am pretty confident this company is going to find every reason in the world not to help me out! I will probably end up paying for this myself.

In a side note: this company has been paid 2 years in a row for a contract at this address and I have never filed a claim and from here on out will NEVER do business with them again! Be very cautious when choosing this company to protect your home! Not worth losing your money, the frustration, and the time you could have used just doing the work yourself!

Original review: July 31, 2020

Put in a claim for a new ceiling fan in May. The amount was $190.00, every time we call the answer is "the check is in the mail ". Here it is July 31, 2020 and still no payment. Sometimes when we call will be put on hold for a long time then hung up on!

Original review: July 31, 2020

Home Warranty of America has good service. The contractors have been responsive. So far, I've been really happy with it so I keep renewing it.

Home Warranty of America response

Jim, We are happy to have you as a loyal customer, We appreciate you. If you have additional situations, don't hesitate to contact us.

Original review: July 30, 2020

I just moved into another house and I didn't know what's going to happen, and so I purchased a warranty. The lady that sold me the house told me about Home Warranty of America, so I just went on and got it. The service is okay. They don't fix everything they said they're gonna fix though. I had an issue with my refrigerator door. They told me it was froze up inside the door, and they said they don't put new doors, so I will have to pay for that. They also came out for my bathroom. I had to pay $60, so that's okay. Whatever needs fixing, they'll do it but I had paid them $60. Paying $60 is really too much, but I just go along with them. I wouldn't change to anybody else because I know they got a deductible too.

Home Warranty of America response

Hello Johnnie, thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I'm very sorry if you have some inconveniences with the claim. As you mentioned, our policy state items we cover and the one we don't. however, every plan has great benefits to fit your needs.

We are doing our best to extend our coverages and give you better assistance. If you have an additional situation, don't hesitate to contact us. - Randy/Digital Care.

Original review: July 29, 2020

This is a HORRIBLE company! I would never recommend them, even to my worst enemy. We received their warranty when we bought our house from the sellers. We moved in and 2 weeks later our a/c unit goes out. We called them and it took 2 days for them to even send a tech to look at it. The tech was driving an unmarked pickup truck, he didn't introduce himself when he walked into my home, and he was 3 hours late. The tech determined the whole unit was bad and needed replacing. He said the company usually responds in 3 days. Now, it's Texas in the summer so it's 100 degrees outside, and in my house.

My husband, 2 year old son, and pregnant self relocate for what we were thinking will only be a few days. Well TWO WEEKS later and we still have no answer from them. They continue to give us the run around, telling us it's getting worked on, or it's been escalated, or my personal favorite, it's currently with the finance department and we're (customer service rep) not allowed to talk to them.

So several days after this, my husband calls and refuses to get off the line until he has an answer, he's upset and they can tell. They tell him that they've "just" reached a decision, and THEY WILL NOT BE REPLACING OUR UNIT! They've determined that it wasn't the "fault of the house" (whatever that means) and they will only be allocating $1200 for a new unit, inside and out. So after multiple weeks of being displaced from our home and waiting, we had to pay over $6000 for a new unit, out of pocket. All in all, horrible customer service, rude, rude, rude techs, and ultimately nothing to say for any of it. HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE COMPANY. HORRIBLE!

Original review: July 29, 2020

Home Warranty of America has been great whenever I needed them. Their contractors have been good. The customer service is pretty responsive and pretty good.

Home Warranty of America response

Dear Derek. Thank you for your words. We appreciate you as s loyal customer and don't hesitate to contact us if you need something from us. - Randy/Digital Care.

Original review: July 28, 2020

We had a warranty on the property when we purchased it and we just continued with it. I was with a 10-year-old home so I thought it was important to have that.

All we did was extended it until HWA called us and they said, “Yes,” and it was done. Submitting a claim has been easy. I use the online method and generally, the response also has been good. For the most part, the contractors, have all been responsive.

Home Warranty of America response

Kranthi, I appreciate your time sharing your experience and we want to help you anytime. please contact us if you have any situation. -Randy/Digital Care.

Original review: July 27, 2020

My issues are regarding Home Warranty of America's Billing Practices. In January 2020, I called HWA and their subsidiary company Direct Energy to discuss my new contracts, which were renewing soon. I was advised by an employee from both companies that my accounts were "SUSPENDED." I spoke with a supervisor and he denied my accts were ever suspended. This denial caused me to review all transactions beginning 1/2019 to the present 7/2020. I found out they had been charging me different premiums for (6) mos and my account had a credit from the overcharges. They made various unwarranted ACH Transactions from my checking account w/o my permission or any notifications.

HWA has employees who have extorted $1700 dollars from my checking and they don't want to refund my money after many phone conversations, faxed documents, promises to compensate me, delays, lies and filing complaints w/ HWA & the BBB. I am informing ALL Potential Customers of their dishonest actions so YOU don't become their next victim! They have employed some dishonest liars/thieves who take ownership of your checking account and drains your finances. They Can't Be Trusted & Lack Integrity! Please Save Yourself Some Agony and Stay Away from Home Warranty of America/Direct Energy!!! This is a true statement and my own experiences.

Original review: July 27, 2020

Home Warranty of America is like any service. But at the end of the day, they do what they say. However, nobody should ever expect a home warranty to pay the bill that comes up for replacement of the gear. By the time all the detailed exceptions are taken out, you don't walk away from it having them replace it for you. But HWA has always followed through. A bit frustrating on my last time, though. We've had several events: an air conditioning unit and a water heater. On the water heater, they assigned somebody to come out and evaluate it, which is as it should be. And that person then had to fill out forms and submit to them. If that person doesn't do it, the homeowner doesn't know about it. All of a sudden, you're waiting and waiting, so you call. Then, they say, "Well, the guy hasn't filled out the form yet."

In this particular case, another entity told us that it was on the verge of rupture, which is not a good thing when it's in the attic. So the guy from HWA was very accommodating. He called the guy. "Oh, yeah, I haven't done it. I'm gonna submit it," and whatever. He then said, "We'll wait a week or two weeks." We could not wait, so we had to go and have it done because we don't want to explode. I waited longer than a couple of weeks and called back. He said, "Well, he hasn't done it yet, and so we're transferring it to another entity." They did that and that screwed around for a couple weeks.

Finally, HWA passed it on to somebody else and that person, "Oh, well, since you had the work done, you have to give us a declaration of what was wrong with it and then have to get the receipts and stuff." I said, "Wait. You guys are the one that told me what was wrong. Your guy did it." "Well, we don't have any record of that." The guy that they sent out apparently never did anything. I had to go to the people that corrected it and say, "Okay, what was wrong with it?" "Well, we replaced it because it was bad." If I hadn't saved the the checkout sheet from the clown that HWA assigned, I would've been out the $1,000. All of a sudden, the process changed from from day one to day 60, when we finally got it resolved. But at the end of the day, it was resolved.

At the end of the day, they do supply it. It's not without heartache and without some follow-through on the homeowners' part. It's not a turnkey operation once you get the warranty. But I've never had a turnkey operation on any home warranties that I've had, and I've had several. HWA is probably average to above average in my personal experience.

HWA may choose their initial contact people based who would go cheapest, so you get what you expect. But at the end of the day, we got a reasonable amount of money. It did not pay the cost of another water heater because their rates are different, but it was a substantial portion of it. You should expect maybe 60 to 75% of what your unit costs. People think they will get 100% but that won't happen. They have a very nice selection, although it's a bit on the blackmail side. They would say, "Okay, we'll send you a check and it'll be five to six weeks, or you can take your credit to an Amazon and you can get it in two to three days." Still, the hardcopy check is a longer wait if you already waited for two and a half months.

Home Warranty of America response

Hello Bradley, I appreciate the time you are taking to share the experience with your claims, and I offer a sincere apology if you had a few delays in your process, and We will take your feedback to improve our services. if you have additional questions, please let us know. Randy/Digital Care.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: July 26, 2020

I did not renew my contract with HWA. Submitting a claim with them was the most horrendous experience ever. I've tried to submit a claim back in March and I was calling weekly, if not more. For the first three weeks it was like ring, ring, ring. They kept lying to me and hanging up on me. They kept sending the contractors out who kept saying, “I can't do this.” They sent people out here that didn't even have a screwdriver. They stole a little bench that I bought for my personal use. During the pandemic HWA kept bringing people in here, like eight different people. I eventually just said, “I give up. I can't deal with this company anymore,” and I let it go.

Home Warranty of America Company Information