2.76/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At Home Warranty of America, Inc. we have built our business on simplifying the lives of our customers and helping them immediately, in times of great need and uncertainty. We strive to always offer our customers fast, easy solutions with our network of qualified service technicians.

Home Warranty of America specializes in home warranty plans, real estate, home sellers warranty, appliance warranty, and home protection plans. Whether you are planning to sell your home, buy a new one, or just staying in your home, we can save you money and time, and bring you peace of mind when you need it most. Get a free quote from us today!

BBBB Rating
View More View More

Home Warranty of America Reviews

View 4 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

Here is the review which I left for the third rate "company" which Home Warranty of America selected for our needed services which was located over 1.5 hours away from ours. This company was unfortunately selected for our household by Home Warranty of America which will be reviewed next. The representative arrived at our house and was able to smell unbernt fuel oil when the wind was registered at less than 0.2 mph.

After inspecting our fuel oil heater he said it was a great system but due to an improper installation "when it is windy we will experience strong smells of fuel oil". He then forwarded information to Home Warranty of America that suggested an installation of a field control system. He informed that company that it was a hard $2000 to implement this system. The recommended part is worth $40 and labor should run less than $140. This company needs to realize that there are checks in place for this type of thievery.

After receiving the estimate from this company home warranty of america responded saying that aftermarket components were not under their warranty. The companies charging my family (both referred to above) don't seem to care if we out of nowhere just stop paying them due to our untimely demise. I personally am disgusted by both of these businesses and I will be contacting our loan provider in regards to our permanent disability applicable value loan which we have taken out for this home.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I could not recommend this company less. We have been living in 29 degree weather with a 10 week old baby for the past month because they are waiting to authorize the purchase of our new HVAC unit. We were told the purchase was approved over 3 weeks ago, and yet somehow has still not been ordered, let alone installed. Each time we call and speak to a claims representative we are told they are expediting the process and that we'll receive a call back in 24-48 hours. After 3 weeks we have yet to receive a call. I find it not at all surprising to read the 100s of other terrible reviews, and would be even less surprised to see a class action lawsuit come from this, or some sort of expose piece. A company approving a new unit and then keeping an infant in below freezing temps is beyond heartless, unethical, and unacceptable.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I have been a loyal client of Home Warranty of America for over 12 years. I have paid in excess of $10,000 in premiums. This fall their service provider informed me my heating unit needed to be replaced but to replace it my costs would be $3,500. When I asked how much their share was they refused to answer. I feel I have been robbed for the past 12 years. My claims have been minimal. On some claims home warranty of america could not even find a service provider and it was up to me to find someone and ask them to call home warranty of america to see if they would work with the company. I could not find anyone so I had to pay that claim out of pocket!!!!! Vendors do not like working with home warranty of america!!! Today I cancelled my service after 12 years and do not recommend them to anyone. They do not have your best interest in mind. Just their premiums you will pay.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

Our dryer stopped working the night of Nov. 7th. The next morning I called the 800 number to initiate a claim for service. After being placed on long holds over 5 minutes, and hung up on twice we decided to file the claim online instead. We filed the claim online, and 3 days later still no update. I've called the 800 number every day for the last 5 days and their answer is still the same, "We are trying to locate a technician in your area, we have escalated the request". I do not live in the middle of nowhere, so I'm unsure why they cannot find someone to come service our dryer. This has been the most frustrating, terrible experience ever. Wonder what excuse they will give me tomorrow??!?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

This was the worst service experience of my life. I have been without hot water for three weeks and am told a different story every time I call. The technicians do not answer or return calls, the claims department doesn't know what they're doing and the concierge department is more of the same. I truly believe their business plan is to be as infuriating and slow as possible so that you are forced to pay for the repairing the issue yourself because you cannot possibly keep calling and waiting on hold. Secondly, if you think that incompetence would at least mean their service personnel were polite - you would be very wrong. Save your money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Warranty of America?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Home Warranty of America originated with my mortgage when I first purchased my home. I had something similar on a previous home, and it worked well for me and I decided to just keep it for this one. I've been protected by Home Warranty of America for eight years now. It's more of a peace of mind than really return on investment sometimes, 'cause if everything's operating fine, then I'm not getting anything from it. But it has been helpful in the water heater and dishwasher. When filing a claim, I usually do it online if it's not an emergency. If over the phone, you're talking to someone right away, getting feedback quickly instead of waiting for a reply to an email. After I put the claim, they send it to a local contractor to handle it. That can be tricky sometimes if I can't get the right contact information. The contractors could've been better than others, but for the most part, they've been average to above average.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

Horrible company. Furnace broke. Reached out to HWA on 10/4/19 to file a claim. A tech came out following day. Looked at furnace for 10 minutes and rushed off to another appointment without fixing. I reached out to HWA the same day and requested to have another contractor come out and have been getting the runaround ever since. I have spoken with several different people all of whom have given several different answers as to why my furnace has yet to be serviced. I was told that my furnace would need to be replaced and then told that replacement parts needed to be ordered. I have been given the name of 3 different heating/air companies that are supposedly going to send a tech out to service furnace and when I reached out to the companies myself was told that they are either not affiliated with HWA or have no service order request for me.

I have called HWA daily to fix this issue and am being given the same rigamarole. At this point I am exhausted and having to suffer with being in a home with below freezing temps with a small child. What’s the point of having a home warranty if I am going to have to go through circles when filing a claim? Erin ** Louisiana

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

The people who we bought the house off set up Home Warranty of America for us. I call them when I have a claim and it's been fine with their representative. I had a two-drawer dishwasher with Fisher & Paykel brand and I had to find a company who would work on it. Also, I had a cooktop claim. I chose to purchase a higher grade one. I want an induction rather than the regular one, ‘cause it’s where our kids put their hands on the countertop. It’s in a very prominent place. And they gave me the choice of getting a gift card which was quicker or waiting for a check from them. This was May, and I am still waiting for the gift cards in the mail. I have rung about four times, the company there, Tango, and finally, got ahold of them. They sent me an email, and then I had to go into that and verify it. They’re supposed to be in the mail now. I’ve had to chase and chase for that. I’d never do that again. It’s $1,100, and that claim was going on from December last year.

I wished that I never picked that option. I did it ‘cause he told me it was quicker but now, they said it’d be five days to get a check from them. I had to wait 10 days for the gift card once I’ve gone through the system and confirming it. And they’ve taken $3 off each gift card, and I was never told that either. So, the service charges in the thing. It was because I wanted an actual gift card not electronic. Otherwise, the service and the help from the home warranty, with who to call at Tango, there was no fault with that.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

Most unprofessional company I have ever worked with. Cost me $100 to have a guy come up and then an agent called me and laughed when he told me my furnace wasn't covered, said it was due to failure in A/C which they cover. So I told them to fix that and he said if we don't know it's broke need to send another company out to check that.... which would Cost me another $199. Absolute joke of a company and should never use them. Calling BBB for sure. These people are crooks.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

My heating board stopped working and they sent technician to fix the heating system. Today November 11, 2019 I am still waiting on someone to approve my claim. Each time they are telling me that will be approve in 24 hrs. I am very disappointed and it is worst insurance that someone can have it.

Home Warranty of America Company Information