Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
GE Microwave Ovens
1.08/5

GE Microwave Ovens

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

1057 GE Microwave Ovens Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I have had a few cheap microwaves but at this point in my life I wanted to buy a good quality microwave that would last. Well I bought a 200 dollar GE microwave in February. 3 months later it went out on me. I did hard and soft reset numerous times with no success. They offered me a discounted check to replace it and it would take 4-6s weeks to receive. Instead we returned to place of purchase and they gave us a floor model to replace it. All was well for 2 months when lo and behold this one started doing the same thing. No amount of resetting would make it run. It went out cooking corn on the cob. Why is this so hard to keep running? Their response this time was a goodwill rebate certificate to purchase only a GE microwave. Why in heavens name would I want another one? It only lasts a couple of months and who is to say the 3rd replacement will not be the same.

Original review: July 30, 2017

I purchased the unit just over a year ago and it started beeping one night with error "scroll speed" and then "key pad shorted." In the end to repair costs more than to replace, even though it is above stove mounted unit. Do not buy a GE Microwave. Especially model # JVM6172DF1WW.

Original review: July 11, 2017

We moved in a newly built home and resided in this home for three years. The house came equipped with a GE Microwave: Model: JNM1541DM5BB, Serial: ZZ 201867 L. While in the house the microwave came on by itself with flames coming from the center of the unit. The plastic in the center of the unit was on fire. Had I not been home at the time this took place, I would not have a home to live in today. A review of the construction of this product is needed. An investigation to the cause of this mishap is needed.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Built our house and had new GE Appliances. Oven is a GE Profile and the computer panel went out twice in the first 2 yrs. The profile microwave model PEB 7226 SF1SS IS NOW ONLY 3yrs old and not functioning. We rarely use the microwave. Will never buy GE anything in the future.

Original review: June 16, 2017

Purchased this from Home Dept in August of 2015. I started to notice about 3-4 month ago the handle of the door is starting to ripple. It's been getting progressively worse. I wrote to GE asking for a replacement. Their response: "The handle on the unit is definitely designed and tested to withstand normal use of the unit and the range below. If you regularly boil large quantities of liquid on that front burner or boil for long periods of time, the excess moisture and heat can weaken items above it."

I'm sorry, but 1) I do not boil large quantities of water and 2) This unit is designed to be mounted above a stove. And their "good will" response was: "Based on the information, I did some research because we do feel consideration is necessary in this situation and we would be happy to assist with the cost of a new handle. The full price of a new handle is $156.75, but we would be able to discount the price down to $47.74 plus shipping ($5.95) and tax, as a one time gesture of goodwill. I respectively requested they reconsider and send me the part and they denied my request. No more GE products for me!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: June 3, 2017

I purchased a General Electric model peb7226df1ww in 2013. It lasted two years, then failed. I replaced it and two years later the replacement failed. At least GE microwaves are reliable in that aspect. You can count on them to fail. I am convinced GE installs a delayed kill switch on their microwaves to help their revenue stream. This was the last GE appliance I will ever purchase.

Original review: May 25, 2017

I just found the site for the review on 5/17. I've had two GE Cafe microwaves model CVM2072SM3SS purchased at the same time for the two kitchens in the house. The microwave in the in-law suite lasted one year and I replaced it with a very economical one which has been fine for 3 years. The electrician could not repair it. The microwave in the main kitchen is 5 years old but it stopped working (same issue of frozen panel) after 4 years. In Nov. 2016, during Thanksgiving weekend, it froze and stopped working. I looked on YouTube and we "cleaned the terminals in the panel using alcohol". That worked for 2 months. When it stopped again I tried the same remedy but it did not work. The panel lights up, but it will not respond to any commands. After 7 months of it being inoperable, I decided to either fix or replace it (while using a way cheaper GE from a friend).

This is an abysmally poorly engineered VERY expensive microwave. The LED panel is a disgrace! Do not buy CAFE microwaves. I'm out $1500+ (for two) plus the replacements, the aggravation, the ugly looking counter with the loaner from my friend. I am ready to bite the bullet and buy a microwave that fits the style of my kitchen. It won't be a CAFE! Although it is a set... Enough is enough. I give up.

Original review: May 14, 2017

Just two years old, the interior paint in my GE Microwave JES1072SHSS started to peel. I called customer service, then emailed, learned that the paint peeling posed no health problem, then, as a gesture of goodwill, given a $75 rebate. I foolishly bought yet the same microwave today (and will return it) as I read here on this site: not only is it unsafe to use a microwave with peeling paint, GE had a class action suit over this very issue and never took responsibility for the health risks to loyal consumers. So it gets returned this week. But PLEASE BEWARE. Gosh, I really bought the goodwill - hook, line and sinker! Then I read all the complaints here - about peeling paint.

Original review: May 12, 2017

Bought our GE Microwave (DVM1850DMWW) from Home Depot about 5-6 years ago. I can see a unit just failing; but to start burning, smoking and smelling is non-excusable. We were lucky enough to be in the kitchen at the time and catch the problem before it escalated. While the unit was just ok while it worked, potentially burning down our kitchen is inexcusable regardless of age. Time for a range hood and a small countertop model. A non-GE model.

Original review: April 28, 2017

Model# Pvm9179dk1bb, Serial rg248422b - I'm not happy at all. Does not cook things in the middle. I am talking cookies, brownies, meatloaf. My old one quit working and I loved it. This one is horrible. I had a tech out to look at it and he agreed that the heat was not even but that is the way they are now. That is unacceptable. Paid good money for this and it does not do what it should.

Original review: April 25, 2017

I have had my GE microwave for over 6 years and the paint is flaking off the inside of the microwave, causing a health and fire hazard. Paint chips in the food and bare metal exposed can cause arching which in turn can be a potential fire hazard. After researching online I have found that this is not a uncommon problem with GE microwaves. Some have had this issue after 1 year. I contacted GE and told them of the problem and that I felt this was a manufactures defect.

GE does not feel that this is a defect problem but advised me not to use the microwave any longer. Their solution was to discard this microwave and purchase a new one. I paid almost $300.00 for the original one plus $20.00 for a mounting kit. I was told that GE would offer me a discount on a new one from $339.93 to $319.93 total. This is not much of a offer considering this should be a obvious manufacturer's defect. By ordering another I will have the same problem again. GE needs to stand by their products and admit fault.

Original review: April 18, 2017

GE Microwave Model JVM6175EF1ES - On July 26, 2014 purchased as a set stove, refrigerator, dishwasher and microwave. From the beginning I had problems with the microwave with the door had a bad connection and the microwave would shut off. On April 2015 the microwave started working without me starting it and I had look up and I saw sparks on the inside and I unplug it. GE replace it and now after 2 years I have the same problem just started and would not shut off and I unplug it. Both times I was lucky to be home. I would like GE to fix my microwave. I understand it has passed one year but, I think appliances should not break down after 2 years. I would like it fixed or replaced if possible. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

Original review: March 20, 2017

We bought a microwave oven (CVM1790SS2SS, ZA301193K) for our new house some 4.5 yers ago. The flimsy, but very shiny, metal cover on the door handle split and the resulting sharp, but hidden, edge cut my finger. We covered it up with scotch tape, and ordered a replacement for the handle. We paid GE $102 (other folk sell it for $76, as we later discovered). There were no useable installation instructions. Our extremely competent handyman could not figure out how to do it and called GE for help at 800 636-2005. He was rudely dismissed and was told to look for instructions on Youtube! He spent 2 hours to install the replacement part. The screws that came with it, were not quite right. I'll never buy another GE appliance in my life. The Item was ordered by Ellen ** (It was shipped on 1/17/2017).

Original review: March 10, 2017

No response to GE problem, just delays. Gary **, project engineer **, geappliances@ge.com. Microwave JES1142SJ06 fuse not accessible. Special screws prevent in box access. ** ignored problem and waited for me to make an angry email mistake in insulting him to cease any action.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

Microwave Model JVM1750DP2bb defective construction- Plastic is protruding inside the Oven. Took possession of a new home in January 2014, but only occupied part time. I estimate we had the equivalent of 6 months being occupied. In January 2017 the magnetron broke down, at which time I noticed a piece of plastics protruding inside the microwave through a vent hole on the Magnetron side. I did not take the extended warranty and GE only offered to send a repair man. Since this is an over the stove model venting outside, it had to be repaired or replaced.

Checked with the supplier and they estimated a minimum of $ 300 repair cost. Home Depot had model JVM6175DKBB on sale for 249.00, and with delivery, and installation, we're talking $ 350.00 to $400.00 to replace. I got in touch with GE Consumer Affairs, and they did eventually agree to provide the JVM6175DKBB for $ 270.00 including installation. They will take possession of the old model, so there won't be any way for me to confirm or deny a manufacturing defect.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

Microwave Model HVM1540LP1CS... This microwave was installed 6 years ago when I built my home. I live by myself and the microwave has only been used by me. I loved this microwave until suddenly it began to turn on by itself and I would often hear popping noises. I looked up reviews of this GE microwave and found that this is a frequent problem with GE microwaves. Fires were reported in a couple of reviews so I immediately unplugged mine, as a safety precaution. If this happens frequently with these microwaves, why isn't GE replacing the parts for the defective machines since they can be fire hazards?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

Soon after getting our new Cafe Microwave CVM2072SM3SS the control panel died. I called GE and power cycling got it going again. This is an over the stove microwave, so we were also told by GE not to use the right front burner without the fan on boost. The problem persisted from time to time and steadily got worse over our 5 years of ownership. Reading the internet this was a common problem known to GE but they took no action to contact owners. The panel is now dead and my only option, having tried the fixes on Youtube, is to invest money starting at $108 for an inspection or buy a new Microwave. My entire experience with this product has been a big disappointment as I also own a GE Cafe range, fridge, and dishwasher.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I do not remember what I paid for this microwave, but my budget was low, and the value I got is good for the money. I've never had any trouble with this oven, and it's 5 years old. It's a good size and cooks evenly.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

It's a good product. The timer is handy but the alarm is good for prepping other meals. Love the idea I can have a baked potato in just 4 minutes. Steam broccoli to put on the buttered bake potato in about 8 minutes - so good. Love the easy clean feature. Just set a bowl of water on two minutes, wipe clean.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

The performance of my microwave is great - not fancy but does the job. It's size is fine as it fits just right where we wanted to put it. No complaints. I haven't had any problems, therefore I consider it a great value. Plus, I would get the same size if and when I replace it!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

My ancient GE Profile Spacemaker II Sensor microwave, the successor to its predecessor, is consistent, great performance, reliable. I chose this model because I was happy with its performance. But it could be less chunky. I would like to remodel my compact kitchen, and a sleek newbie "non-chunky" GE Microwave Oven would be awesome!!! :)

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

We have an overhead microwave that fits nicely into the spot. The power level seems to have dropped off, but this is after more than 8 years with lots of daily usage.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

Our microwave is spacious, simple to use and dependable. This is about the fifth microwave I have had. The others only lasted about 6 months. My current microwave is about 5 years old, despite the fact that some of my previous ones were also GE.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2017

Our microwave is of poor quality. Unit failed completely after a couple of years in use, like many GE products. This GE unit had a large rotating platter and easy controls, but it just stopped operating one day. Nothing could get it going again, so we replaced it with a Samsung microwave which appears to function well (only a year into use, so no way to know yet) although platter is smaller and controls not as convenient.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2017

The GE meets our requirements. We have had it for several years, which in this era of low quality products is amazing. It heats food quickly and is appliance that we use every day. I would buy a GE microwave again, It has worked fine from day one and continues to work like the day we bought it.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

A durable microwave. Our microwave has stood up to 13 years of pretty heavy use and all functions continue to perform as when new. Has turntable but would be nice if it had two shelves instead of one. Guess that has to do with the spacemaker size of this microwave.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

My GE microwave works perfectly for microwaving and baking. It is also a convection oven and it works as well for baking as the microwave component does for microwaving. It is roomy and accommodating. I've had the microwave for 10 years and have never had a problem with it.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

It works great. My microwave is a small white one that has the power to heat or make a dinner. I enjoy using it. I just press how much time I need and the microwave turns on and it either warms up my meal or cooks it.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

It has been a remarkable machine: reliable and efficient! I have had my General Electric microwave since 2001. It has never given me one day of trouble. The size is perfect and the heating mechanism has been flawless.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

The microwave is large enough for a whole chicken and operates at both a high speed and good efficiency. Most items can be timed within minutes of properly prepared meals.

GE Microwave Ovens Company Information