1.05/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1045 GE Microwave Ovens Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

The insulation around the lamp shell has disintegrated leaving the shell exposed. GE appliance repair contractor stated the unit is out of warranty. I suggested to the repair person that insulation should not fail and that was a safety issue and this repair should be covered. He stated that unless the manual expressly stated such then it was a chargeable repair.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

This failed after 15 months, when internal fuse kept blowing every few days. Made complaint to GE resolutions dept at 800 386 1215 and best they would do was $100 towards buying another same piece of junk, for which I would be paying an additional $250 to repeat the experience. I buy for multiple rental properties and no more GE products. JUNK - JVM3160RF3!

Get expert buying tips about Microwaves delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I purchased all the kitchen appliances. All GE brands. The microwave after almost 3 years the white paint from inside start peeling. When I called GE directly, received no help at all. They wanted to replace the microwave and the stove for over $2400. I can buy the full set from Best Buy for almost $2300 all in Samsung brand. Also, this related to paint issue. Maybe the paint is a very low quality or something related to lead-paint. Imagine you are warming up the food and know nothing about the paint is peeling, and each time you have small pieces in your food. I wish I could add the recording of the microwave that everybody could see.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Ordered a repair part for my GE Cafe series microwave because the touchpad failed. The person who took the order told me they had a "No Hassle" return policy. They shipped the part right away but I decided to replace the microwave instead. I am still waiting 3 weeks later for them to pick up the item via Fed Ex and credit my account. They told me I cannot drop it off at a Fed Ex office. This is ridiculous!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

My less than a year old GE microwave stopped working last week. My AT&T phone service died so I had to make repair arrangements online. Guy was here this morning. My microwave’s main board is fried. It does not conform to Repair Guy’s published schematics. Repair Tech could not upload new data to it. Repair guy did order three new parts including a main board. GE told Repair Guy that mainboard delivery ETA UNKNOWN. After three hours here repair tech left and told me to call GE customer care. Believe it or not, two hours on telephone with GE. First you need to talk to a customer service rep that cannot help you. They then determine you need a Customer Advocate. Then they need to input data on your file for the Customer Advocate.

Then they need to transfer you to that department. Then you have to get a case number assigned. Then you give someone all the serial numbers and model numbers again. Then the Customer Advocate (CA) takes the call. The CA does not speak English as you and I speak English. After the CA puts me on hold to verify the purchase, then the appointment, then the tech and then the order they actually speak to me. In my case, the mainboard part is not available on CA’s computer. The CA has to electronically contact the parts department to find out if the part is in this universe. If the part can be delivered to my Repair Guy in Jackson, GA within 14 BUSINESS days from the date of the inquiry I have to take the part and wait for repair.

In the event the part cannot be delivered in 14 days CA will start a process to get me a new microwave. The parts department has up to 48 hours to respond to the CA. When asked what happens if no response occurs in 48 hours, I was told, That never happens. It is the Christmas Holiday and I anticipated guests. My husband is disabled and his meals are pre-made frozen so I will have to decompose them and heat them on the cooktop. GE could care less about those issues. So after waiting five days for repair I have no working microwave. Someone told me not to replace my GE with a GE, but I did not listen. It is December, holidays, no microwave is an aggravation that I thought paying for a GE product would alleviate. So, on January 2nd I might get an answer. Part possible or new appliance COULD be ordered and delivered by someone sometime.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Installed 07/06/2015 While I was asleep on 12/09/18 the oven appeared to start microwaving an empty oven on its own. When I came down 5 hours later the microwave had no power. I opened door and turntable had melted and glass had exploded. The ring under it was burnt and melted in one location. Top of cabinet on right side was hot. Then the internal circuit breaker restored itself and started some recovery process making odd noises sounded like the magnetron was trying to run since the top was getting hotter, after a minute the internal circuit breaker shut it down again. I then unplugged it. It appeared the magnetron started heating on its own and turntable did not rotate. All of the heat was concentrated at 12:00 edge of glass turntable. It also burnt the metal floor under that spot.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Purchased a microwave 5 weeks ago. When cooking it smells like something is burning. GE would only issue a goodwill certificate. Now I'm forced to buy another GE product. After taking the cover off it's clear that one of the connectors actually melted. It bubbled up and turned black. Because of this and the fact that other reviewers had the same problem. I don't want to buy another GE product. I don't think it's unreasonable to get a refund since it's only been 5 weeks. If I have purchased at a different store with a longer return policy I would be able to just bring it back to the store. Apparently the quality of GE products has gone down. I would not recommend.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

My daughter gave me a GE microwave, model no. JES1460DS3BB, (she paid $155) for Mother's Day, 2017. In October, 2018, not even 1.5 years later, the microwave began malfunctioning. It would intermittently freeze mid cycle, with the timer still going and the inside light flashing off and on. I contacted the company through their website email to complain about this strange malfunction in this practically new microwave. It took three days to receive a reply. Apparently I had used the wrong model number and it took THAT LONG for GE to figure it out.

After providing Teresa, the case manager, supposedly helping me, with the correct model no., it took another three days for Teresa the case manager to reply. This time, instead of offering me repair options, she immediately tried to get me to buy another GE microwave and offered me a $75 rebate to use towards one. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? My microwave is barely 1 1/2 years old and SHOULD NOT have these operating issues.

I replied to Teresa with my keen dissatisfaction of how GE was handling my case and I NEVER heard back from her. Until 8 days later, a Shelly followed up to see if Teresa helped me. I immediately replied to Shelly and gave her an update on my dilemma and that I NEVER received a reply from Teresa. I NEVER heard back from Shelly again.

Then, four days later I heard back from Teresa saying that if I did not use the $75 rebate that she was going to close my case. The GE employees are not on the same page and left me so unhappy, I had to purchase another microwave from Walmart (NOT a GE) to replace GE's FAULTY unit. I highly discourage consumers from purchasing any and all GE products. Not only do they have HORRIBLE and UNACCEPTABLE customer service, their employees are not qualified to work with the public. I DEFINITELY got a lemon microwave and obviously GE does not stand behind their product.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Bought a GE microwave and arranged to have it installed. Kept it in sealed box for 3 days until installer appointment. Opened box to find a crease (dent) in door. I phoned in to the GE warranty depot and they informed me that I only had 48 hours to report and as such was out of luck. They indicated that it is clearly stated in the Appliance Manual under the warranty section. Too bad that the Manual was in the sealed box. No warning on the outside of the box. On top of that the individual that I spoke to at the Warranty Depot was very rude. No more GE Appliances for me. Be forewarned.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I called GE service for a vibration that didn't happen every time. He couldn't fix it at that time. I called a second time when it was happening all the time and was told the only thing he could do was replace all the parts inside. On his third visit he replaced everything. It made it worse and was vibrating more and was noisier. He told me that's the best he could do. GE doesn't replace its products, so I'm stuck with a microwave that's vibrating and noisy. Won't buy GE products again.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

We bought a model PVM9215SK3SS microwave as part of an over-the-range microwave oven/extractor fan combo. Unlike every other microwave combo we've ever had in our frequent moves, this microwave cannot run the kitchen timer independently of the microwave. If you try to set the kitchen timer when the microwave is running, the cook-time changes and overcooks what's in the microwave. If you try to set the microwave to cook while the timer is timing a food cooking on the range, it simply refuses to work.

The instructions are very hard to both find and then understand, having been written in China to cover many different models. Apparently I can ask my phone to turn it on. I sure can't manage that very often in person! The fan is too loud for comfortable use even at the lowest speed, which is a great disappointment. A former Profile model was very quiet at every speed, and much more efficient. We're saving up for something that works.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

GE Profile microwave Model: PEB7226SF1SS came as part of the builder installation. In the first year had issues with the microwave not starting intermittently and had to call GE support who sent in a technician who had to work on the door alignment and the switch was the problem which said to have fixed. About 2.5 year from purchase the heating seemed to be irregular which we did not take much notice and then it stopped working completely. We called GE support and did get the usual routine of the product being out of warranty and have to pay for the technician. While scheduling they realized they did not have a their own service person in the vicinity and was advised to reach out to local service person.

Local technician diagnosed that the magnetron has gone bad and advised most manufacturers have 10 years warranty on the magnetron as they are supposed to last for a long time and I should reach out to GE. Having reached out to GE support again to our surprise were advised that unlike most manufacturers this product did not have 10 year magnetron warranty. Customer service, part service and customer relations kept redirecting to each other. GE does not provide an option to sell the replacement magnetron to the customer and now want their authorized center to be engaged and paid again to have the part ordered and installed. Disappointed with GE product quality, their stand on warranty compared to their competition and their service which has given me run around and no solution. I have written to them asking for solution which they haven't responded yet.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Ready to wait for 30 minutes before talk to someone on the phone. Buy any GE appliance and you will get lucky (which will be within a year). This company should be banned from doing any business. No wonder their stocks are going down the drain. This is my 3rd Microwave (PEB7226SF1SS) to go bad in the 1st year.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Microwave lasted 6 months, very light duty, burnt metal smell. Purchased from Walmart, they told us to contact GE. All GE could offer is a Good Will certificate which means, we have to go buy another GE microwave up to $155 in value. We pay taxes, shipping etc. Not really a customer-centric return policy for a lousy designed product made from cheap components in Asia. These microwaves are a piece of junk. This isn't the only complaint about this model of microwave. Others are experiencing the same problem all within the past 6 months. From March 2018 thru August. Stay away from these microwaves.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Had model JES1460DS3BB less than 2 years. I started to smell burning plastic when using it. Research tells me the wiring is burning up. I'm sick and tired of GE appliances. Ever since my GE toaster caught on fire in 1969 I've had bad luck with GE. I gave the company another chance when I bought this microwave. I will never buy another GE appliance - large or small.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

My old (Panasonic) microwave lasted over 15 years. This brand is really poor quality and they don't stand behind it. Electrical burning smell. Less than 9 months old. Called customer service, they refused to repair and will send a "goodwill" rebate cert saying I can buy a new one (any model) and I will be refunded. I ended up paying $100 more because all local stores did not have anything close to my model. They will not cover shipping, tax or any of the extra cost of the new microwave. Stay away from all GE products.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I own a GE over the stove Microwave that spontaneously turned on while I was sleeping. Once the unit was running for a bit, it caught on fire. It melted thru the glass plate before I woke up and was able to remove power from the unit and stop the fire. To GE's credit, they did send a tech out to our place. The tech never did anything to find out what caused the problem. Instead he was just looking to see if the unit was salvageable. He condemned the unit, and GE's solution was a $25 rebate on the next one of their products I would purchase.

The liability GE would have been up for if I were not home would have been astronomical. This appliance put my property and the life of my family and neighbors in danger. GE's inaction on this problem show's that they have no concern for the safety of the consumers that use their products. The HR response has been appalling.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Model # JVM1752SP2SS - I have had my microwave for 5 years. Last night, my husband and I started smelling burning rubber. That lasted about 20-25 minutes. Then my husband heard a strange sound coming from the kitchen. When he went to investigate, he found our microwave on fire.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I just don't know how to start to show how disappointed and upset I'm about this Microwave. I know GE is good brand but this Microwave must be the worst. I bought this microwave between July or August in 2016. Unfortunately, I lost the receipt. I bought a cash at Home Depot in my area, because I bought it cash Home Depot unable to find a record of but they remembered I did buy there between that time. I know bought that time because I bought my house in July 20116. This microwave started giving problems since June 2017. When I call GE they told me, they can't help because I don't a receipt, and they told from their record, this microwave was purchase in January 2015, they didn't want to believe that I purchased it in 2016.

They charged over $100 to have a technician to come, he has to order a part that cost as well over $100, when the part comes another technician came. It was the wrong part. He had to order another part. The technician came back and Microwave work for only 1 or 2 months and stop working. It's been very stressful with this Microwave. This microwave was the most expensive, I bought over $500-600. Even though from your record you said I bought it in 2015, it still unfair, no one expect to buy something that expensive and break down that fast. I don't what to do. I'm just so frustrated about the whole situation. This microwave cost me about $ 1,000 now from price to repair, and yet still not working. I wish someone reply to me and help me, if no one help I never wish to buy a GE product. So Sad GE, I need HELP.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

My 3 year old $600 GE micro caught on fire with nothing it. I set the timer on my top of the line GE microwave for a reminder. Nothing in the micro, cooking nothing! When I came back it was on fire! Melted the inside. If I would not of been there it would of burnt my house down! The only way to shut it off and put out the fire was to turn off the power to it. The next day as soon as I turned the power on my GE microwave started on fire again!!! This must be happing to many people and needs to be addressed by GE! This company needs to be held accountable for burning houses down!

Original review: July 16, 2018

Buyer beware. Terrible product, bad customer service. When my Model JVM6175EF1ES started sparking and burning one of the shelf hooks 14 months after I bought it, GE customer service agent chuckled when I asked for a courtesy service visit. Okay, I get it. No extended warranty and problem arose two months after 1-year warranty expired, but not cool that agent was amused under the circumstances.

Original review: June 28, 2018

GE states they do not repair microwave ovens under warranty. Instead, they offer to reimburse you at MSRP for repurchasing the unit if you will show evidence you have ruined the unit's operational function. The interior bulb burned out in my unit, I disabled the unit, sent in pictures and receipt. They sent a coupon for about $30.00 less than MSRP and lied about the conditions of reimbursement. Brendia, the agent I spoke with, broke off email contact when I stated the unit was no longer available from the sellers on the GE seller list (including the seller I originally purchased from), and that the unit was only available at MSRP from the online sellers I could find. My microwave is inoperable and GE has not responded or offered to increase reimbursement to MSRP. I have not located a chain of command to whom I can report Brendia's dishonest management of my case.

Original review: June 25, 2018

We bought our first home a couple of years ago, and it came with brand new appliances. Never in my mind did I think I would need to buy a new microwave after 2 years. Our GE microwave stopped working after 2 years. I had microwaves in past that lasted for 10 years or more. Never again will I buy a GE appliances again. The quality sucks. Don’t waste your money.

Original review: June 19, 2018

June 18, 2018 GE Spacesaver Microwave in use when there was a loud pop, heavy smoke boiled out of the unit and strong smells of wires burning was noted. On fixed income now what do I do? Understand my microwave has been reviewed by ConsumerAffairs for the same issue in the past. Whatever became of their investigation?

Original review: June 12, 2018

GE Guarantee Fit Rebate is a big "LIE". We purchase a new GE 27" MICROWAVE COMBINATION WALL OVENS. ● Model # JK3800DHBB to replace our old GE combo. We purchase GE due to the GE appliance fit guarantee rebate program so that there would not be any additional cost involved and felt that GE would honor their promotion should there be any additional cost. The appliance installer told us that in order for the new unit to fit properly, he had to cut out a portion of the cabinet due to the new unit's configuration. We had the installer look over the rebate program and was assured that it was covered and necessary. The modification cost was additional $250.00, which was above our budget but since we trust that we would be reimbursed by GE, we agreed.

We filled out the rebate form and mailed to GE rebate department with the receipt, photos, serial number as requested in April. After 8 weeks without any updates, I contacted GE on June 11 and found out that they supposedly received the rebate on June 5, 2018. The employee that I spoke to said that in order to complete the rebate, only information missing is a picture of the complete product which I email to GE same day. I called GE on June 12, to confirm that they have received my email with attachment. I was inform by this employee that we would not qualify for the rebate because the modification was to cut the cabinet in order for the electrical line to be mounted properly, which without doing so the new unit would not fit. I ask to speak to a manager and was told that there is not one. No one at GE is taking care of the problem. GE is taking advantage of consumer, seniors, veterans.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Last summer GE replaced the peeling handle on my microwave oven. I have treated the new handle with kid gloves. No abrasive cleaning products have been used and the oven burner under the handle is used infrequently at very lower temperatures. One year later it's peeling AGAIN. All the burner control bezels on my GE Cafe oven have also peeled. The handles look like plastic covered with aluminium foil. Can't believe GE hasn't fixed this problem or issued a recall. I will NEVER purchase another products made by GE!

Original review: May 30, 2018

When we purchased our home it came with GE appliances which was covered under a one-year warranty. My microwave has been broken for nearly 3 months. It is almost impossible to get a service tech to come out immediately. GE customer service is the worst I have ever dealt with. They are unprofessional and unreliable. Most of all uneducated about their job. If I could return all of the items in my house that were made by GE back to the seller I would in a heartbeat. The Appliances are poorly made and the customer service is too difficult to deal with it. It’s not worth the money or the Headache... Stay away from GE appliances.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I purchased a GE Profile stocks in 2007 and a GE microwave model JVM7195SK1SS purchased 12/30/16. We have replaced the knobs on the stove 2 times because of peeling in the past. Now we need to replace the microwave handle. The handles and knobs look like metal but they are cheaply made white plastic covered with a sharp silver coating that peels. It appears the knobs get overheated when the oven opens and the microwave handle from the steam when cooking on the stove.

Last night I cut my hand on the handle! We reordered the faulty handle and now getting charge $100 from GE. The company should take responsibility for their poor design and replace it for free with a nonpeeling part. I know that we will get the same handle and won’t be able to use the burner below or hope that using the fan will keep it from cracking again. I would never recommend a GE product again.

Original review: March 16, 2018

The GE MICROWAVE MODEL JVM6175EF1ES was manufactured in August 2015. I purchased it in November of 2015, brand new from Home Depot. It was not installed until April 2016. So less than 2 years after installation it malfunctioned. (The unit brand new only has a 1 year warranty). The parts the tech replaced have a 5 year warranty. That demonstrates to me that GE does not have a lot of faith in their appliances. Aside from that I paid $375 for the repair, that's almost the price of a new microwave. But I paid since it made more sense to have a 5 year warranty on the parts instead of a 1 year with a brand new unit. I WILL NOT be buying GE products in the future due to this product defect.

Original review: March 11, 2018

This microwave (jvm1540dm5ww) works fine but the plastic door is fracturing into bits. I expect this is because of faulty plastic in China. Cheap alternatives for fast profits. The machine is out of warranty. Replacement door is almost 160$ with shipping. Planned obsolescence by corporate America. This machine works fine but is a waste because I don’t trust the replacement materials to be any more stable. I rated this a two because the actual operation is fine. Sorry GE. I will not buy your brand.

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GE has more than 100 years in the industry and provides a wide range of home appliances. The company believes in innovation and elegant design that transform a home into a modern, sleek and efficient place to live.

• Full selection: GE provides the full range of countertop, over the range and built-in microwaves.

• Multi-lingual capacity: Some GE microwaves are equipped with multilingual control panels and display both Spanish and English.

• Removable oven rack: Many models include a removable oven rack to lift the food off the bottom of the microwave to allow for more even heating.

• Many control features: Quick-function buttons are featured on several GE models including "Add 30 Seconds," "Child Lock," and "Auto Defrost."

• Combination ovens: GE manufactures a top-range line of combination microwave and full-sized convection ovens. They feature self-cleaning and glass touch controls.

• Special offers: There are several ways to save money on your GE purchase including claiming rebates and choosing on-sale items through the website. You can also win money back by writing a review of your appliance.

• Best for: Small and medium-sized commercial kitchens, small families and large families. Anyone creating meals for multiple people would enjoy this range.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs