GE Microwave Ovens

Compare Microwaves

Research top Microwaves recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We bought a microwave oven (CVM1790SS2SS, ZA301193K) for our new house some 4.5 yers ago. The flimsy, but very shiny, metal cover on the door handle split and the resulting sharp, but hidden, edge cut my finger. We covered it up with scotch tape, and ordered a replacement for the handle. We paid GE $102 (other folk sell it for $76, as we later discovered). There were no useable installation instructions. Our extremely competent handyman could not figure out how to do it and called GE for help at 800 636-2005. He was rudely dismissed and was told to look for instructions on Youtube! He spent 2 hours to install the replacement part. The screws that came with it, were not quite right. I'll never buy another GE appliance in my life. The Item was ordered by Ellen ** (It was shipped on 1/17/2017).

No response to GE problem, just delays. Gary **, project engineer **, geappliances@ge.com. Microwave JES1142SJ06 fuse not accessible. Special screws prevent in box access. ** ignored problem and waited for me to make an angry email mistake in insulting him to cease any action.

Microwave Model JVM1750DP2bb defective construction- Plastic is protruding inside the Oven. Took possession of a new home in January 2014, but only occupied part time. I estimate we had the equivalent of 6 months being occupied. In January 2017 the magnetron broke down, at which time I noticed a piece of plastics protruding inside the microwave through a vent hole on the Magnetron side. I did not take the extended warranty and GE only offered to send a repair man. Since this is an over the stove model venting outside, it had to be repaired or replaced.

Checked with the supplier and they estimated a minimum of $ 300 repair cost. Home Depot had model JVM6175DKBB on sale for 249.00, and with delivery, and installation, we're talking $ 350.00 to $400.00 to replace. I got in touch with GE Consumer Affairs, and they did eventually agree to provide the JVM6175DKBB for $ 270.00 including installation. They will take possession of the old model, so there won't be any way for me to confirm or deny a manufacturing defect.

Microwave Model HVM1540LP1CS... This microwave was installed 6 years ago when I built my home. I live by myself and the microwave has only been used by me. I loved this microwave until suddenly it began to turn on by itself and I would often hear popping noises. I looked up reviews of this GE microwave and found that this is a frequent problem with GE microwaves. Fires were reported in a couple of reviews so I immediately unplugged mine, as a safety precaution. If this happens frequently with these microwaves, why isn't GE replacing the parts for the defective machines since they can be fire hazards?

Soon after getting our new Cafe Microwave CVM2072SM3SS the control panel died. I called GE and power cycling got it going again. This is an over the stove microwave, so we were also told by GE not to use the right front burner without the fan on boost. The problem persisted from time to time and steadily got worse over our 5 years of ownership. Reading the internet this was a common problem known to GE but they took no action to contact owners. The panel is now dead and my only option, having tried the fixes on Youtube, is to invest money starting at $108 for an inspection or buy a new Microwave. My entire experience with this product has been a big disappointment as I also own a GE Cafe range, fridge, and dishwasher.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

I do not remember what I paid for this microwave, but my budget was low, and the value I got is good for the money. I've never had any trouble with this oven, and it's 5 years old. It's a good size and cooks evenly.

It's a good product. The timer is handy but the alarm is good for prepping other meals. Love the idea I can have a baked potato in just 4 minutes. Steam broccoli to put on the buttered bake potato in about 8 minutes - so good. Love the easy clean feature. Just set a bowl of water on two minutes, wipe clean.

The performance of my microwave is great - not fancy but does the job. It's size is fine as it fits just right where we wanted to put it. No complaints. I haven't had any problems, therefore I consider it a great value. Plus, I would get the same size if and when I replace it!

My ancient GE Profile Spacemaker II Sensor microwave, the successor to its predecessor, is consistent, great performance, reliable. I chose this model because I was happy with its performance. But it could be less chunky. I would like to remodel my compact kitchen, and a sleek newbie "non-chunky" GE Microwave Oven would be awesome!!! :)

We have an overhead microwave that fits nicely into the spot. The power level seems to have dropped off, but this is after more than 8 years with lots of daily usage.

Our microwave is spacious, simple to use and dependable. This is about the fifth microwave I have had. The others only lasted about 6 months. My current microwave is about 5 years old, despite the fact that some of my previous ones were also GE.

Our microwave is of poor quality. Unit failed completely after a couple of years in use, like many GE products. This GE unit had a large rotating platter and easy controls, but it just stopped operating one day. Nothing could get it going again, so we replaced it with a Samsung microwave which appears to function well (only a year into use, so no way to know yet) although platter is smaller and controls not as convenient.

The GE meets our requirements. We have had it for several years, which in this era of low quality products is amazing. It heats food quickly and is appliance that we use every day. I would buy a GE microwave again, It has worked fine from day one and continues to work like the day we bought it.

A durable microwave. Our microwave has stood up to 13 years of pretty heavy use and all functions continue to perform as when new. Has turntable but would be nice if it had two shelves instead of one. Guess that has to do with the spacemaker size of this microwave.

My GE microwave works perfectly for microwaving and baking. It is also a convection oven and it works as well for baking as the microwave component does for microwaving. It is roomy and accommodating. I've had the microwave for 10 years and have never had a problem with it.

It works great. My microwave is a small white one that has the power to heat or make a dinner. I enjoy using it. I just press how much time I need and the microwave turns on and it either warms up my meal or cooks it.

It has been a remarkable machine: reliable and efficient! I have had my General Electric microwave since 2001. It has never given me one day of trouble. The size is perfect and the heating mechanism has been flawless.

The microwave is large enough for a whole chicken and operates at both a high speed and good efficiency. Most items can be timed within minutes of properly prepared meals.

Not very satisfied with the functionality. Turntable does not work or has ever worked. Time features and power adjustments are not very intuitive. I would not recommend this brand, I believe there are other brands out there are much better for the same price range.

The microwave has done its job for the last 15 years and is still going strong. It isn't perfect, but it serves me well. The microwave is fine, but I am no longer a fan of GE products. The design of their stove makes it difficult to clean. I had to pick their dishwasher because it was the only one with the right dimensions. It does a terrible job cleaning the dishes.

I give it stars for value because an extra step is needed to set cooking time. Most microwaves do not require pressing a "cook time" key before selecting # of seconds. Other than that, microwave is first-rate and very dependable. We use it several times a day for 1.5 years now with no problems.

I needed a microwave, and researched a lot of brands, some the buttons quit working, others sparked. Found this GE on sale at Lowe's about 4 years ago for $29.00 and so far I am very happy with it. I must admit it is a little big, but it works beautifully. It does fit on the counter, so for its size and the price it is a great deal!!!

It is a GE Profile about 5 years old, it's a counter top or shelf mount model, so we didn't have a lot of choice at the time. Don't like door closure mechanism. It is terrible, and in my opinion designed to break. So far it's held up, everything else is good. Most people just slam the door shut with a loud clunk. I push in the release button and am able to close it less forcefully. That's probably why it's still working.

I have had this GE microwave for over a year now and have not had a problem with it. It has a variety of settings and it doesn't quit if something causes a spark/feedback, like a tiny piece of foil. It has a spacious interior and a large turntable. Also, the light stays on while cooking and comes on when the door is opened allowing one to watch and check on the cooking process even in a dim night light environment. Mid-morning munchies without having to turn a bright light on. I have tried other GE products and was disappointed with their performance. This GE microwave has worked well and I have not had any problems with it.

I called the toll free number because of the concern I am having with your microwave, the paint is coming off the inside. So my concern is first why would it be coming off, is it a defect in the product or does it just happen? The person was helpful and seemed as if it was to be concerning. WELL IT IS to me. Could it make us sick, do I need to put it in the trash or what? Thanks for not helping me and not being concerned, but I am sure if it was you or family you would have had a different story to tell.

We "upgraded" our appliance package when we bought our village builder home 8 years ago. All GE Monogram appliances have rusted and now need replaced. New liners needed in oven which was so rusted we couldn't get the screws out to replace the originals. Was told by GE customer service rust to be expected when cooking. It creates steam and food particles can cause scratching!!! Maybe it should be steam proof especially a microwave. Even the door on this is rusted! Why the shelf ends in a freezer are rusted not sure on that one! Will NEVER buy this brand again and shame on them my upgraded appliances don't even make it to 10 yrs. A disgrace. My mother just replaced her 20 yr old oven. What is wrong that nowadays things don't last 5 minutes? Shame on you GE not recognizing a definite flaw in your products.

Always works well, cooks great, could use a little more space. Had GE microwave in the past and it never let me down. Had this one for 2 years now and no problems with touchscreen, door hinges or settings. Owned Maytag before and had nothing but problems.

It was given to me already used over ten years ago, and has performed consistently and without problems. The only fault is the same problem with other GE products -- their paint chips easily. It is small and on the counter model. It does everything I ever wanted to use it for, which is popcorn, water, vegetables, and reheating leftovers.

Easy to clean. It's a small white model... Fits well on my small counter. Does the job every time. I've had it for several years and it's still going. It has several features, including a clock and timer. Great little gadget for the price!

My GE over the range Microwave has broken about 4 times in a year's time. My warranty company American Home Shield (AHS) has decided that instead of replacing this piece of garbage, it's somehow worth it to keep on fixing it, which is apparently their MO for all their customers but I digress. After the latest breakdown (microwave lost power completely), I was referred by AHS to GE Appliance repair. Thus began the nightmare. The tech that showed up was incompetent at best. He showed up, looked at me, made a grouchy face and proceeded to walk in the kitchen with an attitude like he was doing us this massive favor. He opened the microwave door, closed it, opened his computer and ordered 10 (yes 10) different part. Again, he literally just opened and closed the door - did not disassemble to see what part was actually messed up. No diagnosis done of any kind.

He scheduled to come out the week after that - didn't show up because I missed his phone call. Btw, I called him back pretty immediately and he didn't pick up. After being on hold for about 35 mins (which is clearly the GE standard hold time), they tell me the guy has left the area and they need to reschedule me for a week later. The day before the 2nd appointment, they called to reconfirm and then the morning of, I called, stayed on the standard 35-40 min hold and reconfirmed he was still coming and was told he was on his way. Well, the appointment time came and went and he failed to show up YET again so I called to ask wtf happened. They said he didn't come because I canceled the appointment thru an automated call. This time the idiot didn't call me like they ''always do''.

I asked for proof of this alleged automated call that was placed to me and they said no call record exist and so while it seemed like a system glitch, the tech already left the area and they'd need to reschedule it. I told them, "No, thank you." Got a local repair company to come out the very next day. Turns out, out of the 10 parts that idiot tech had ordered, only 4 had arrived while the invoice still showed 10 being shipped. Let me clarify this: All these issues stem from GE's entire company: From manufacturing crappy products to HR hiring incompetent techs to customer service being absolutely nightmarish to supply chain not sending parts that are being ordered. And if you can somehow get their alleged consumer advocate department on the phone after a 40 min hold time, they don't give a crap either. All these employees MUST hate GE to drive customers away as far as possible. I own a business and I will never ever EVER buy GE again.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

GE has more than 100 years in the industry and provides a wide range of home appliances. The company believes in innovation and elegant design that transform a home into a modern, sleek and efficient place to live.

• Full selection: GE provides the full range of countertop, over the range and built-in microwaves.
  • Multi-lingual capacity: Some GE microwaves are equipped with multilingual control panels and display both Spanish and English.
  • Removable oven rack: Many models include a removable oven rack to lift the food off the bottom of the microwave to allow for more even heating.
  • Many control features: Quick-function buttons are featured on several GE models including "Add 30 Seconds," "Child Lock," and "Auto Defrost."
  • Combination ovens: GE manufactures a top-range line of combination microwave and full-sized convection ovens. They feature self-cleaning and glass touch controls.
  • Special offers: There are several ways to save money on your GE purchase including claiming rebates and choosing on-sale items through the website. You can also win money back by writing a review of your appliance.
  • Best for Small and medium-sized commercial kitchens, small families and large families. Anyone creating meals for multiple people would enjoy this range.

Compare Microwaves