GE Microwave Ovens

Compare Microwaves

Research top Microwaves recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Touch pad on GE CAFE over the range microwave started failing within first 2-3 years. Now, 6 years later, it has completed failed. Repair part alone (not including service call) is almost $550.00. Pure junk...made in MALAYSIA!

4th service call for a piece of ** over the range microwave that keeps breaking. The service is a joke too. The sent some moron to come take a look at the microwave after I placed this latest service call. He came and without diagnosing, he ordered a few parts and scheduled a follow-up for today. He called this morning to reconfirm the appointment (which was already confirmed 2 times previously and this reconfirmation has never taken place previously) and I missed his call.

When I called him back short whIle later, his voicemail directed me to call the 800 #. After a 35 min hold with them, they said since I didn't pick up the phone in the morning, the appointment was canceled. What???? It states nowhere that they'll call you to reconfirm an ALREADY SCHEDULED AND CONFIRMED appointment and that if you miss the call, they cancel the appointment. Next service call is a week from now, which makes it 3 weeks without a microwave. I hope they rot in hell.

I purchased a GE microwave just a year ago. I've had a few problems with it like the round glass plate that you cook food on cracking in half twice when the microwave wasn't even in use, and the control panel going stupid... requiring me to unplug it to get it back on track. The worst part is I purchased an entire kitchen work of GE appliances at the same time and I've already had two service visits on the dishwasher.

GE customer service is the worst! When I call they just keep repeating themselves and they never listen to what I'm telling them. Today was the worst yet... I got this woman on the phone and she just kept telling me the microwave was not in warranty any longer as of last month. She also told me she only has two appliances listed on my account (no range or refrigerator) when they were registered at the same time as the other appliances and they have sold me filters for the refrigerator several times. All I can tell people is if you are considering buying GE appliances... DON'T! They SUCK!

I have bought 3 GE appliances in the past 2-5 years, a microwave, dishwasher and oven with cooktop. They are all white and the white paint is peeling off. The microwave is the worst with most of the paint gone from the metal around the window inside. I will never buy another GE appliance again. To have 3 different appliances with peeling paint signals a definite quality control problem in the company.

This microwave has a glass plate that sits on a rim. There are no grooves to ease the placement of the glass on the rim, It is very frustrating to have to replace when it comes off. I never had to deal with such a difficulty when using such a simple appliance. GE designers must not use the items they design or they would do things differently!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Our stainless steel finish 1100 watt JES1142 microwave is around 2 years old. Within the last year the finish inside started to corrode (yes, my wife cleaned it regularly with a non abrasive, appropriate cleanser). Also, the door latch button started sticking and a few days ago it just stopped heating. Unfortunately I can't find my receipt, but I bought it at my local Lowe's on Bell Rd. Nashville TN. Serial # is MA212483G. Manufactured July 2013. Was this just a lemon? Very disappointed.

I know this commonplace complaint, like thousands before me, will head straight into the wind because the world just works in this way: technical support and repairs works as a profit center for a corporation. My GE Profile microwave abruptly failed out of warranty after years of use. The cause was due to a wire burning up inside that had not been loosely connected, said the GE technician, so this was an issue of inadequate quality--not bad enough to cause the microwave to fail quickly but enough to cause failure over time.

After taking the microwave out of the built-in cabinet, it only took the technician about 5-8 seconds to find and diagnose the problem, several minutes to get the right part (a wire) from the truck, and a couple of minutes to fix it. The labor charge was $121 for about 7 minutes of repair work, to be liberal with time. (This charge is separate from the charge to come to our home and diagnose the problem.) This prorates to over $1,000/hour for a basic wiring change, which I think is exorbitant. I understand that the technician is a highly trained individual, but this is already reflected in the high labor rate.

According to GE, the cost to replace the "built-in" microwave, which came with a matching stainless steel frame would be $550 if we wanted the new microwave to match the frame at least (but not necessarily the oven, stove, etc.). This is the kind of cost you don't think about when you buy a new home built with matching appliances--well, I didn't. Companies like GE can rationalize all they want about all the overhead associated with servicing a repair call. I can certainly grant them some leeway, but in the end, charging an extra 8 times more an already high labor rate given the time needed to fix the problem is simply price gouging a consumer who has no good recourse. (This is why I pretty much avoid repairing anything, except for my car. It's almost never worth it.)

I recently had an experience with an experienced plumber charging an hourly rate of $150, prorated by and rounded up to half-hour increments of work, regardless of difficulty of work. Repairing an appliance should work the same way, and my GE bill would have been halved. Because of such profiteering, I will not consider purchasing a GE appliance in the future. I pray that this microwave doesn't break down again in the coming years due to some other problem. It would be a lot less expensive to just buy a non-matching portable microwave then for $100-$150 than to keep up appearances.

To be fair, the woman who fielded my service call was courteous and empathetic. Because the microwave apparently had an electrical burning problem, she previously waived the diagnosis fee. Otherwise, my simple repair would have run several hundred dollars, more than the cost of the microwave. However, she was unwilling to reduce the labor charge, so based on how strongly I felt ripped off, I give GE a star rating overall.

Today I heated some spaghetti sauce in my microwave and it splashed, so I wiped it out. My microwave is built in and was pretty new and in the house when we bought it 4 years ago. It is in the base counter so I have to reach down to clean it. l haven't had a problem with it but when I wiped the inside top I felt bumps and when I looked at the cloth to see what was on it, there was paint on it. That has never happened before so I of course looked and there is a fair amount of peeling paint in one spot. I have had microwave ovens for many years. Never had this problem with any other brand. What is that?? Can it be fixed? Is it dangerous???

We purchased this new 8 years ago however the problems started after about two and a half years of use. I called GE when the paint started peeling off of the door of the microwave. They asked me if I cooked salty foods. I cook bacon in the microwave. They told me my only option was to buy a new door and have it installed. It was $250 at the time. I did not have the money or desire to fool with it. I continued to use the microwave and it has continued to degrade. Now eight years later there is so much metal showing that we decided we must do something. It is unsightly and very difficult to clean because it's rusting.

I've been expecting electrical arcs to occur and the microwave to catch on fire. It hasn't done that. It has continued to cook the food. The entire metal area on the door is without paint. There are other large areas of metal and rust inside on the bottom of the microwave. The entire vent panel is without paint and rusted. We also had to have the control panel replaced twice. It was covered once under the warranty and once it was not. We also had to replace the element in the oven which is used rarely. To replace the microwave and oven combination now would be $3,500. When I do replace it I will replace it with a different brand.

We have had multiple service calls where the tech explains immediately that he knows what the problem is, where there is a very loud buzzing noise as if you were going to be shocked by the microwave if you touch it while it is running. Now after fixing this problem multiple times, having the display burn out, etc. tonight we find out the microwave is actually turning ON when you open the door! This is a severe safety hazard! The interlock is doing exactly the opposite of what it is supposed to do!

My 11-month-old GE Advantium oven no longer has any display, totally blank. When calling to make an appointment I was unable to speak to a live person but scheduled one for today from 1-5 pm. At 5 pm I received an automated call that the technician was running behind and would arrive in about an hour. By 8:30 pm no one called or came to repair my oven. At 4 pm when I was wondering if I would see a repairman I attempted to find on the internet a phone number that would connect me to a live person but had no luck. I have no idea what company is being sent out to make the repairs so that I can get in touch with them. Their service sucks.

I purchased this product in June 2011 for a summer weekend getaway home. I used it 5 times during that summer. The following summer I didn't use it at all. Summer 2013, I used it and everything seemed fine. That night I heard something and the microwave turned on by itself! Thank goodness I was at the house. I cannot believe this unit has not been recalled yet, as I see other consumers are complaining about the same thing. I keep the unit unplugged all the time. What recourse do I have as a consumer? I have my bill of sale and paid good money for this unit.

Consistent with many reviews about poor customer service and saga to try to get an appliance fixed, we experienced a very situation with their microwave. Power is on but doesn't heat food. 5 visits later and multiple calls to GE became a string of technicians having to order a part, waiting at least a week to receive the part and technician trying to fix it. For 2 weeks the microwave worked and then stopped working. Called GE again, and again they insist on having technician come by to diagnose the same problem. We put our foot down and asked for a replacement and were denied because it wasn't deemed to be irreparable. I stayed online until they offered a discount on a new microwave and they then took more than a week to send that and also proceed to take the old one which not convinced they were entitled to take given we had to purchase a new one.

Completely inefficient process, customer service agents who are in and unfortunate enough to follow an inefficient process that is not focused on the consumer. Really unfortunate for a top tier company whose mission is centered around the customer but fall down on execution. Really disappointing. I'm glad that we live a in capitalist state that allows us to have other choices and not feel stuck with one brand. The cost of our time and stress and technicians hourly wage is disproportionately greater than the 300 dollar retail price tag for the machine.

I was sitting on my couch and I heard something running. I walked into the kitchen and saw my GE Profile microwave was running. At first I doubted myself and thought maybe I did something and then I cleared it out and went and sat back down. It did it again and again several more time. This is very scary. It was running like someone had set it and it was getting hot inside. I'm not sure what else to do. The last time I had the same type of problem and just bought a replacement microwave and now this one is doing the same.

The door switch needed to be replaced. GE Service charged $26.40 for the part. Fair enough. It took less than 30 minutes for the diagnosis and installation. So the two repairmen added about $200 for the visit per se and labor. In my world this seems charge excessive for the simple service rendered.

We're using a white GE Digital Microwave Oven at home Model No. JEI2870SPSS. We got it from Ansons a few months ago when our previous Kyowa was broken beyond repair. The price is reasonable, the usable space inside is adequate and the exterior design goes well with our kitchen. It has touchpad controls which are very easy to use especially with the pre-programmed settings like steam cook and snacks. So far it has worked very well. It's quite excellent at defrosting meat and evenly heats our food. We have no problem cleaning it and it's pretty silent when in use. I hope this one lasts us longer since it's pricier than the Kyowa and because use of the microwave less these days because they say the radio waves emitted by these machines cause cancer.

Today my GE black microwave with rack mounted above the stove, caught on fire by itself. My husband and I smelled a chemical like smoke. We went in the kitchen and we saw fire in the microwave. We put out the fire and was thankful that we were home. If we were not home our house would have burned to the ground. The microwave was not in use at the time of the fire. I plan to contact GE about this dangerous event. My asthma has gone crazy since this horrible situation happened. I just want to let people know that GE microwave will catch on fire without being in use.

We got our GE microwave oven last November of 2014 and we've been using it ever since. We've never encountered any problems using it and it's really reliable. We use it to warm our food, cook food - eggs, popcorn and we even use it to thaw/defrost frozen meat. It has a turntable inside that can be used so that heating will be even on your food. You can press the express button if you don't want to set the time. It automatically gives you 15 seconds. It is very easy to use and easy to clean as well. It's also not that expensive.

The dishwasher does not clean my dishes and they say that there is nothing wrong with it. **! Now my microwave / convection oven is sending sparks in the corner of the oven. I have read a lot of reviews about this model and it has happened to many consumers. GE can rest assure that I'm not buying another product from them, EVER!!!! Model # PVM 1790Dr1WW. Serial# **. February 2013.

We have had this microwave GE JVM1631wb007 (2003) for a number of years installed above our stove. It was given to us by my husband's son so we did not have it registered with GE as owning it. However, I just sent an email to GE today asking for help as I find absolutely nothing on the internet about a scorched outside microwave door. We have had no issues with it whatsoever - until now.

When we returned home from a one week vacation this past Sunday evening, we came home to a scorched OUTSIDE door on this microwave! The inside is fine. The two people who came into the house while we were gone said they did not use it but it is DEFINITELY scorched around the entire area on the outside around the screen area. I refuse to use it although my husband (who is an appliance repairman but does NOT work on microwaves) says it's fine to use. It's not only hideous, it LOOKS unsafe to use. I'm scared it's going to catch on fire but my husband says don't worry and go ahead and use it! I'm attaching a pic of it... Anyone else heard of this? It's not like we don't have the money to replace it. I'm NOT going to touch the thing... You can't tell him anything. He thinks it's fine. I need PROOF that this is dangerous to convince him... Please help before the house burns down!

Popping and overheating and sparking. Less than two years old.

The interior paint on the microwave is peeling causing there to be sparks in the interior of the microwave. The microwave interior paint is defective and should not have peeled. The microwave interior has metal showing which causes sparks.

The GE microwave installed in my new home caught fire on its own. It is less than 3 years old. GE Consumer Relations Department refuses to replace it for free even when it caused a fire accident on its own. GE microwave failed in its safety standards. GE also has failed in its Consumer Relations. I will not trust GE brand again.

I purchased this in Feb. 2013. Just before the 1 year warranty was up the control panel went out. They came and replaced it. Now just a little over a year of the replacement, the control panel went out again. Worst microwave hood fan I've ever had.

I recently purchased a GE Profile 1.9 microwave oven from Home Depot less than a year ago. Last week I went to remove something that I had cooked and went to close the door and it would not stay shut. I ended up getting some masking tape to try and tape it shut in order to keep the light from staying on and burning out until morning when I could get a better look at it, thinking that it had to be something small that could be taken care of without any problem. Hinge adjustment, something getting in the way that I couldn't see, etc, etc. Wrong! I have been over this door with a fine tooth comb and there is nothing that I can see that is preventing it from staying closed, not only that but according to everything that I have read, I am very lucky that I didn't get fried while trying to figure out if the latching mechanism was functioning correctly.

I am not even going to go through the long drawn out process of dealing with GE over this due to the simple fact that "I have been there done that" with my dishwasher that showed up with the front panel dented a few years back from the factory and I ended up blaming the place that I had purchased it through instead of GE and have since found out by reading other complaints that this seems to be something that is not unusual when it comes to GE appliances. I spent over 1100.00 dollars on the dishwasher and they only replaced the panel instead of giving me a new one, and I have never been satisfied with the way that it operates, and it was a very long and drawn out process and I am just not willing to spend the time again on another one of their products.

It is unfortunate that we have entered a time where customer satisfaction means nothing, and the days of caring about having repeat business from a satisfied customer are over. The prices continue to rise on the things that we have become to depend on and can't seem to live without, but the quality and workmanship have not only diminished but also present safety threats. I will never purchase another GE anything and I am looking forward to the day when we all have finally had enough of this and do something that makes these companies stand behind the products that they sell and quits ripping the consumer off. It's rampant across the board no matter what you buy, and there should be laws in place in order to keep it from happening. We have laws for everything else, why not have a couple that protect the consumer and their pocket books.

"RCA RMW953-White 0.9 cu. feet Microwave, 900-watts, 10-power levels, end cooking signal, glass turntable, 6-one-touch cooking menus, speed and weight defrost, cook by weight." Bubbles obscure text. I wanted a white microwave with a door handle, .9 and fairly powerful. I was glad to have found this microwave. But I don't know if the hole was there before, or my teenagers or I inadvertently put a small hole in the plastic covering over the control panel outside the microwave (NOT meant to be removed, I asked support) but now it's become a larger hole as air got underneath. I cannot read the button text. I tried to cover it with scotch tape and that's not working.

I searched and found out this is a common problem with GE microwaves. The buttons are very close to the bottom and therefore, countertop, so if you have a utensil or plate or something that sits near the microwave, it might nick the plastic coating. I called GE support (in India) and they said since it's under warranty, I can return it. However I'd have to pay shipping costs. Fortunately, I bought this at Wal-Mart (I hate to support this store but it was the only place I could find this style) and they have an excellent return policy and there is no charge for shipping. It was easy to call and request a shipping label within the generous warranty period. You might save yourself the trouble of a return or be very careful to not put a small hole in the plastic coating. Again, this is not protective coating for shipping, this is a permanent coating to protect the buttons.

Needed to replace handle. Silver covering started to peel and actually got a splinter. Cheap plastic underneath covering. Called GE and while they did send out a replacement, I had to pay to have it installed. Instructions on internet were not helpful! Bill to replace was $142. Ouch. GE rep said they did not have prior complaints. I later Googled it and saw 1000 complaints!!!

Caught fire once, returned it - bought same model thinking fluke - fire again! Bad quality - very bad quality. I don't even know what to say my whole house smells of smoke again.

GE Spacemaker 1.7 Cu. Ft. Over-the-Range Microwave Oven (model # JVM1740DP2BB), manufacture date March 2013, installed June 2013. Was totally satisfied with the product until March 12, 2016 when it began to operate on its own and even when the door was opened to retrieve the food placed inside (or to add food to cook). Have contacted GE customer service via email and waiting for a reply.

We moved in to our home in 2006 and it had a GE Monogram Microwave built in. The microwave died and I purchased a similar GE Monogram microwave to match our kitchen in 2014. That microwave died exactly 17 months later. Fortunately, we had a home warranty program as we are selling our home. I figured that this saved me the effort to complain to GE about their product... Wrong. The Home Warranty program sent a repairman who said we can order a part. A few days later I received a call that they would replace the microwave. OK... I checked online as well as with a local retailer to see which model is the replacement model, and trim kit.

Today (about 10 days after I first called for service) they delivered the new GE Monogram microwave and installed it. Fortunately, I asked to test it and we tried to boil a cup of water. The contents in the oven being cooked were not visible. Either the light was too dim or the shading on the door was too dark. I have never seen a Microwave where you could not view what is inside. I called GE Customer Service while the installers were there and they refused to allow me to keep it until a replacement was delivered. They had to deinstall it, re-install my old (non working unit) and take the new one back. I called GE with my homeowner's claim info and they sent me back to the Homeowner Warranty company to start the claim all over. Ridiculous.

Instead of a replacement they offered me a cash value which was 60% of what I paid the retailers. When I asked why that amount? They only provide the value based on what the Warranty company gets the products/services for (wholesale cost). Net: If I used the money to buy another product it would cost me out-of-pocket for replacement. I am hoping the new unit to be delivered in the next 3 days works better. Otherwise, GE has a significant design flaw that doesn't allow you to view what is cooking in the Microwave. If that's the case, why have a window at all? Fyi - My Panasonic Microwave in our basement is working fine.... and has for years.

Compare Microwaves