1.12/5

1036 GE Microwave Ovens Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I called GE service for a vibration that didn't happen every time. He couldn't fix it at that time. I called a second time when it was happening all the time and was told the only thing he could do was replace all the parts inside. On his third visit he replaced everything. It made it worse and was vibrating more and was noisier. He told me that's the best he could do. GE doesn't replace its products, so I'm stuck with a microwave that's vibrating and noisy. Won't buy GE products again.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

We bought a model PVM9215SK3SS microwave as part of an over-the-range microwave oven/extractor fan combo. Unlike every other microwave combo we've ever had in our frequent moves, this microwave cannot run the kitchen timer independently of the microwave. If you try to set the kitchen timer when the microwave is running, the cook-time changes and overcooks what's in the microwave. If you try to set the microwave to cook while the timer is timing a food cooking on the range, it simply refuses to work.

The instructions are very hard to both find and then understand, having been written in China to cover many different models. Apparently I can ask my phone to turn it on. I sure can't manage that very often in person! The fan is too loud for comfortable use even at the lowest speed, which is a great disappointment. A former Profile model was very quiet at every speed, and much more efficient. We're saving up for something that works.

Get expert buying tips about Microwaves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

GE Profile microwave Model: PEB7226SF1SS came as part of the builder installation. In the first year had issues with the microwave not starting intermittently and had to call GE support who sent in a technician who had to work on the door alignment and the switch was the problem which said to have fixed. About 2.5 year from purchase the heating seemed to be irregular which we did not take much notice and then it stopped working completely. We called GE support and did get the usual routine of the product being out of warranty and have to pay for the technician. While scheduling they realized they did not have a their own service person in the vicinity and was advised to reach out to local service person.

Local technician diagnosed that the magnetron has gone bad and advised most manufacturers have 10 years warranty on the magnetron as they are supposed to last for a long time and I should reach out to GE. Having reached out to GE support again to our surprise were advised that unlike most manufacturers this product did not have 10 year magnetron warranty. Customer service, part service and customer relations kept redirecting to each other. GE does not provide an option to sell the replacement magnetron to the customer and now want their authorized center to be engaged and paid again to have the part ordered and installed. Disappointed with GE product quality, their stand on warranty compared to their competition and their service which has given me run around and no solution. I have written to them asking for solution which they haven't responded yet.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Ready to wait for 30 minutes before talk to someone on the phone. Buy any GE appliance and you will get lucky (which will be within a year). This company should be banned from doing any business. No wonder their stocks are going down the drain. This is my 3rd Microwave (PEB7226SF1SS) to go bad in the 1st year.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Microwave lasted 6 months, very light duty, burnt metal smell. Purchased from Walmart, they told us to contact GE. All GE could offer is a Good Will certificate which means, we have to go buy another GE microwave up to $155 in value. We pay taxes, shipping etc. Not really a customer-centric return policy for a lousy designed product made from cheap components in Asia. These microwaves are a piece of junk. This isn't the only complaint about this model of microwave. Others are experiencing the same problem all within the past 6 months. From March 2018 thru August. Stay away from these microwaves.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Had model JES1460DS3BB less than 2 years. I started to smell burning plastic when using it. Research tells me the wiring is burning up. I'm sick and tired of GE appliances. Ever since my GE toaster caught on fire in 1969 I've had bad luck with GE. I gave the company another chance when I bought this microwave. I will never buy another GE appliance - large or small.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

My old (Panasonic) microwave lasted over 15 years. This brand is really poor quality and they don't stand behind it. Electrical burning smell. Less than 9 months old. Called customer service, they refused to repair and will send a "goodwill" rebate cert saying I can buy a new one (any model) and I will be refunded. I ended up paying $100 more because all local stores did not have anything close to my model. They will not cover shipping, tax or any of the extra cost of the new microwave. Stay away from all GE products.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I own a GE over the stove Microwave that spontaneously turned on while I was sleeping. Once the unit was running for a bit, it caught on fire. It melted thru the glass plate before I woke up and was able to remove power from the unit and stop the fire. To GE's credit, they did send a tech out to our place. The tech never did anything to find out what caused the problem. Instead he was just looking to see if the unit was salvageable. He condemned the unit, and GE's solution was a $25 rebate on the next one of their products I would purchase.

The liability GE would have been up for if I were not home would have been astronomical. This appliance put my property and the life of my family and neighbors in danger. GE's inaction on this problem show's that they have no concern for the safety of the consumers that use their products. The HR response has been appalling.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Model # JVM1752SP2SS - I have had my microwave for 5 years. Last night, my husband and I started smelling burning rubber. That lasted about 20-25 minutes. Then my husband heard a strange sound coming from the kitchen. When he went to investigate, he found our microwave on fire.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I just don't know how to start to show how disappointed and upset I'm about this Microwave. I know GE is good brand but this Microwave must be the worst. I bought this microwave between July or August in 2016. Unfortunately, I lost the receipt. I bought a cash at Home Depot in my area, because I bought it cash Home Depot unable to find a record of but they remembered I did buy there between that time. I know bought that time because I bought my house in July 20116. This microwave started giving problems since June 2017. When I call GE they told me, they can't help because I don't a receipt, and they told from their record, this microwave was purchase in January 2015, they didn't want to believe that I purchased it in 2016.

They charged over $100 to have a technician to come, he has to order a part that cost as well over $100, when the part comes another technician came. It was the wrong part. He had to order another part. The technician came back and Microwave work for only 1 or 2 months and stop working. It's been very stressful with this Microwave. This microwave was the most expensive, I bought over $500-600. Even though from your record you said I bought it in 2015, it still unfair, no one expect to buy something that expensive and break down that fast. I don't what to do. I'm just so frustrated about the whole situation. This microwave cost me about $ 1,000 now from price to repair, and yet still not working. I wish someone reply to me and help me, if no one help I never wish to buy a GE product. So Sad GE, I need HELP.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

My 3 year old $600 GE micro caught on fire with nothing it. I set the timer on my top of the line GE microwave for a reminder. Nothing in the micro, cooking nothing! When I came back it was on fire! Melted the inside. If I would not of been there it would of burnt my house down! The only way to shut it off and put out the fire was to turn off the power to it. The next day as soon as I turned the power on my GE microwave started on fire again!!! This must be happing to many people and needs to be addressed by GE! This company needs to be held accountable for burning houses down!

Original review: July 16, 2018

Buyer beware. Terrible product, bad customer service. When my Model JVM6175EF1ES started sparking and burning one of the shelf hooks 14 months after I bought it, GE customer service agent chuckled when I asked for a courtesy service visit. Okay, I get it. No extended warranty and problem arose two months after 1-year warranty expired, but not cool that agent was amused under the circumstances.

Original review: June 28, 2018

GE states they do not repair microwave ovens under warranty. Instead, they offer to reimburse you at MSRP for repurchasing the unit if you will show evidence you have ruined the unit's operational function. The interior bulb burned out in my unit, I disabled the unit, sent in pictures and receipt. They sent a coupon for about $30.00 less than MSRP and lied about the conditions of reimbursement. Brendia, the agent I spoke with, broke off email contact when I stated the unit was no longer available from the sellers on the GE seller list (including the seller I originally purchased from), and that the unit was only available at MSRP from the online sellers I could find. My microwave is inoperable and GE has not responded or offered to increase reimbursement to MSRP. I have not located a chain of command to whom I can report Brendia's dishonest management of my case.

Original review: June 25, 2018

We bought our first home a couple of years ago, and it came with brand new appliances. Never in my mind did I think I would need to buy a new microwave after 2 years. Our GE microwave stopped working after 2 years. I had microwaves in past that lasted for 10 years or more. Never again will I buy a GE appliances again. The quality sucks. Don’t waste your money.

Original review: June 19, 2018

June 18, 2018 GE Spacesaver Microwave in use when there was a loud pop, heavy smoke boiled out of the unit and strong smells of wires burning was noted. On fixed income now what do I do? Understand my microwave has been reviewed by ConsumerAffairs for the same issue in the past. Whatever became of their investigation?

Original review: June 12, 2018

GE Guarantee Fit Rebate is a big "LIE". We purchase a new GE 27" MICROWAVE COMBINATION WALL OVENS. ● Model # JK3800DHBB to replace our old GE combo. We purchase GE due to the GE appliance fit guarantee rebate program so that there would not be any additional cost involved and felt that GE would honor their promotion should there be any additional cost. The appliance installer told us that in order for the new unit to fit properly, he had to cut out a portion of the cabinet due to the new unit's configuration. We had the installer look over the rebate program and was assured that it was covered and necessary. The modification cost was additional $250.00, which was above our budget but since we trust that we would be reimbursed by GE, we agreed.

We filled out the rebate form and mailed to GE rebate department with the receipt, photos, serial number as requested in April. After 8 weeks without any updates, I contacted GE on June 11 and found out that they supposedly received the rebate on June 5, 2018. The employee that I spoke to said that in order to complete the rebate, only information missing is a picture of the complete product which I email to GE same day. I called GE on June 12, to confirm that they have received my email with attachment. I was inform by this employee that we would not qualify for the rebate because the modification was to cut the cabinet in order for the electrical line to be mounted properly, which without doing so the new unit would not fit. I ask to speak to a manager and was told that there is not one. No one at GE is taking care of the problem. GE is taking advantage of consumer, seniors, veterans.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Last summer GE replaced the peeling handle on my microwave oven. I have treated the new handle with kid gloves. No abrasive cleaning products have been used and the oven burner under the handle is used infrequently at very lower temperatures. One year later it's peeling AGAIN. All the burner control bezels on my GE Cafe oven have also peeled. The handles look like plastic covered with aluminium foil. Can't believe GE hasn't fixed this problem or issued a recall. I will NEVER purchase another products made by GE!

Original review: May 30, 2018

When we purchased our home it came with GE appliances which was covered under a one-year warranty. My microwave has been broken for nearly 3 months. It is almost impossible to get a service tech to come out immediately. GE customer service is the worst I have ever dealt with. They are unprofessional and unreliable. Most of all uneducated about their job. If I could return all of the items in my house that were made by GE back to the seller I would in a heartbeat. The Appliances are poorly made and the customer service is too difficult to deal with it. It’s not worth the money or the Headache... Stay away from GE appliances.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I purchased a GE Profile stocks in 2007 and a GE microwave model JVM7195SK1SS purchased 12/30/16. We have replaced the knobs on the stove 2 times because of peeling in the past. Now we need to replace the microwave handle. The handles and knobs look like metal but they are cheaply made white plastic covered with a sharp silver coating that peels. It appears the knobs get overheated when the oven opens and the microwave handle from the steam when cooking on the stove.

Last night I cut my hand on the handle! We reordered the faulty handle and now getting charge $100 from GE. The company should take responsibility for their poor design and replace it for free with a nonpeeling part. I know that we will get the same handle and won’t be able to use the burner below or hope that using the fan will keep it from cracking again. I would never recommend a GE product again.

Original review: March 16, 2018

The GE MICROWAVE MODEL JVM6175EF1ES was manufactured in August 2015. I purchased it in November of 2015, brand new from Home Depot. It was not installed until April 2016. So less than 2 years after installation it malfunctioned. (The unit brand new only has a 1 year warranty). The parts the tech replaced have a 5 year warranty. That demonstrates to me that GE does not have a lot of faith in their appliances. Aside from that I paid $375 for the repair, that's almost the price of a new microwave. But I paid since it made more sense to have a 5 year warranty on the parts instead of a 1 year with a brand new unit. I WILL NOT be buying GE products in the future due to this product defect.

Original review: March 11, 2018

This microwave (jvm1540dm5ww) works fine but the plastic door is fracturing into bits. I expect this is because of faulty plastic in China. Cheap alternatives for fast profits. The machine is out of warranty. Replacement door is almost 160$ with shipping. Planned obsolescence by corporate America. This machine works fine but is a waste because I don’t trust the replacement materials to be any more stable. I rated this a two because the actual operation is fine. Sorry GE. I will not buy your brand.

Original review: March 5, 2018

Bought GE range microwave JVM3160DF3BB11/16 from Lowe's. Tripped the breaker. Replaced the breaker with a new. Would immediately trip the breaker as soon as you pushed the start button. Last time it tripped the breaker oven went dead. Won't even light up. Junk. Do not buy made by Haier in China with the GE name on it.

Original review: March 4, 2018

I bought this Microwave JVM3160 on December 2016, after six month the handle door broke but it was replaced as part of the warranty. By January 2018 (no more Warranty) it began tripping the circuit breaker. I change the power source for a dedicate circuit only for the microwave 20 AMP. The microwave blew its own fuse. I replaced its fuse. Then it blew the 20 AMP circuit breaker. That was enough. This microwave went to the garbage after 1 year and 2 month of use.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

The GE over-the-range, model JVM316URFSS was installed in our new home by the builder. We have been in the house and used the microwave moderately for the past two years. Last night, out of nowhere, the microwave started running. I realized that it was actually heating when the glass turntable popped. I jumped up and opened the door to stop the heating. The turntable was broken. The interior was incredibly hot. Having read several reviews I realize that this is not an uncommon problem. I am going to buy a replacement but I am very concerned by the fact that GE is aware of this 'recallable' situation and continue to allow this product to remain on the market. I will NOT purchase another GE because apparently they do not care. Our house could have burned down had we not be home.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Microwave (GE 2.2 PROFILE) was manufactured in Oct 2015, I ordered in November 2015 and it was delivered January 2016. Installed in March 2016. Was making rattling sound like the case was loose or something. The other night I placed cup of water in microwave, turned on for 1minute and FLAMES shot out (on the inside) from the “squares” on the inside. Does it every time so unplugged. Contacted GE. Was told Out of warranty. Repair person can’t come for 2 weeks. Waiting for return call from customer support. I don’t think flames can be fixed!!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

We purchased a GE Model JVM 3160DF3WW microwave oven in October 2016. The handle broke on this unit the first week after we bought it. It then worked fine for 10 months. In August 2017 it began throwing the circuit breaker erratically, then whenever it was turned on and has not worked for a full day since. It has been "repaired" by Appliance Solutions of Utah at least 6-7 times (by two different technicians) and still has not worked. At least $500 worth of new parts have been put into a $200 microwave by them. After numerous calls to GE, they have offered to send me a Goodwill Certificate for the amount of purchase after I buy another GE microwave. With our experience with this microwave (inoperable and unrepairable for 5 months) I don't intend to buy another GE microwave; especially considering the one available locally is the exact same model as the one we have, which was purchased, from Sears, for $191.42.

Appliance Solutions of Utah has all the records of the NUMEROUS unsuccessful repair attempts made on the unit since August 2017. I requested a refund so that a different unit could be purchased. Over the course of the past 5 months I have talked to at least four different "customer representatives", after multiple hours on hold. None could find any record of the previous discussions. GE's final suggested solution was to offer us a $100 "Goodwill Certificate", the title in itself being ironic. So, after buying a microwave which was defective in the first place, spending $75 to have it installed, being without the use of the microwave for five months, and being told that, "GE does not offer refunds", that is what the company feels they should do to rectify the situation.

Setting aside an implied warranty of fitness, the fact that the repair agents sent out by GE could not repair the microwave after numerous attempts would seem sufficient grounds to fully refund the purchase price. That is the least a reputable company would be expected to have done. GE's position is that the store selling the microwave would be responsible for a refund; apparently ignoring the terms of the warranty. I this point, I am considering filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and a claim in small claims court for Breach of Warranty. Obviously, the microwave was never repaired per the terms of the warranty as it is still inoperable and has never worked since the initial report to GE. We will NEVER buy another GE product; Buyer beware!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I just renovated my kitchen and purchased all new appliances. I had stopped buying anything GE because of the poor customer service and inferior appliances. After more than 25 years I thought I would give GE a second chance. What a mistake. My new microwave clunks every time the dish inside spins. GE sent out a repairman who said he fixed it. As soon as he walked out the door, I realized it was never fixed correctly. After waiting on hold with GE for over 45 minutes today, I was told that they will send another repairman out. If he finds it isn't repairable then he will send that info back to GE who will try and figure out how to fix it. If it can't be fixed then I will get a new microwave.

It is a new microwave that was defective. I don't want this microwave because it has been defective since day one. I purchased my appliances from a local family owned store. GE has a policy that they (GE), are responsible for repairs for the first year and then the company I purchased the appliances from will do any future repairs. I will never buy another appliance from GE. They still have the worst customer service. Ridiculous how terribly they stand behind their appliances.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I bought a microwave Model JVM316RF3SS on 6/12/16 from Best Buy. Here is the serial number GG242212A. This thing is tripping the circuit breaker, it is intermittent. I had been buying GE for the house because the stuff would last or they would stand behind their products. Looks like times have changed, I called yesterday to the customer service and the only thing I was offered was a song and dance. If you are to consider buying a GE product, think about it again. This microwave is only a year and a half, to have a tech service guy come out and look at it, it is was priced out at $97-108 for a visit and then parts and time will be added in additional to this visit price.

They have priced this repair out to be cheaper to just replace it. My washer is making excessive pump motor bearing noise during the high spin cycle, this is two years old. Looks like GE is building crap. My background is a mechanical technician for over thirty years, building products that are to be used in the household should be built to last not become a disposable item like a cigarette lighter. Good job GE for joining the other substandard products being built. Must be outsourcing this to a foreign country like everything else. With the model and serial number GE you can call me if you have ANY questions.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

GE above stove microwave (DVM1850DM1BB) stopped working and went completely dead after 1 year. Purchased a second GE microwave because it easily fit into the existing space. Sure enough, the second microwave stopped working and went complete dead a little over a year. I have always heard bad things about GE products, now I can confirm those negative comments about GE products are true.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

Our GE microwave, manufactured in 2012, has been running fine, but the door handle has cracked on the bottom. Imagine my shock when I found the cheapest price for a PLASTIC handle was well over $100. How can this be?

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GE has more than 100 years in the industry and provides a wide range of home appliances. The company believes in innovation and elegant design that transform a home into a modern, sleek and efficient place to live.

• Full selection: GE provides the full range of countertop, over the range and built-in microwaves.

• Multi-lingual capacity: Some GE microwaves are equipped with multilingual control panels and display both Spanish and English.

• Removable oven rack: Many models include a removable oven rack to lift the food off the bottom of the microwave to allow for more even heating.

• Many control features: Quick-function buttons are featured on several GE models including "Add 30 Seconds," "Child Lock," and "Auto Defrost."

• Combination ovens: GE manufactures a top-range line of combination microwave and full-sized convection ovens. They feature self-cleaning and glass touch controls.

• Special offers: There are several ways to save money on your GE purchase including claiming rebates and choosing on-sale items through the website. You can also win money back by writing a review of your appliance.

• Best for: Small and medium-sized commercial kitchens, small families and large families. Anyone creating meals for multiple people would enjoy this range.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs