1.19/5
Based on 32 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1029 GE Microwave Ovens Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I own a GE over the stove Microwave that spontaneously turned on while I was sleeping. Once the unit was running for a bit, it caught on fire. It melted thru the glass plate before I woke up and was able to remove power from the unit and stop the fire. To GE's credit, they did send a tech out to our place. The tech never did anything to find out what caused the problem. Instead he was just looking to see if the unit was salvageable. He condemned the unit, and GE's solution was a $25 rebate on the next one of their products I would purchase.

The liability GE would have been up for if I were not home would have been astronomical. This appliance put my property and the life of my family and neighbors in danger. GE's inaction on this problem show's that they have no concern for the safety of the consumers that use their products. The HR response has been appalling.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Model # JVM1752SP2SS - I have had my microwave for 5 years. Last night, my husband and I started smelling burning rubber. That lasted about 20-25 minutes. Then my husband heard a strange sound coming from the kitchen. When he went to investigate, he found our microwave on fire.

Get expert buying tips about Microwaves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I just don't know how to start to show how disappointed and upset I'm about this Microwave. I know GE is good brand but this Microwave must be the worst. I bought this microwave between July or August in 2016. Unfortunately, I lost the receipt. I bought a cash at Home Depot in my area, because I bought it cash Home Depot unable to find a record of but they remembered I did buy there between that time. I know bought that time because I bought my house in July 20116. This microwave started giving problems since June 2017. When I call GE they told me, they can't help because I don't a receipt, and they told from their record, this microwave was purchase in January 2015, they didn't want to believe that I purchased it in 2016.

They charged over $100 to have a technician to come, he has to order a part that cost as well over $100, when the part comes another technician came. It was the wrong part. He had to order another part. The technician came back and Microwave work for only 1 or 2 months and stop working. It's been very stressful with this Microwave. This microwave was the most expensive, I bought over $500-600. Even though from your record you said I bought it in 2015, it still unfair, no one expect to buy something that expensive and break down that fast. I don't what to do. I'm just so frustrated about the whole situation. This microwave cost me about $ 1,000 now from price to repair, and yet still not working. I wish someone reply to me and help me, if no one help I never wish to buy a GE product. So Sad GE, I need HELP.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

My 3 year old $600 GE micro caught on fire with nothing it. I set the timer on my top of the line GE microwave for a reminder. Nothing in the micro, cooking nothing! When I came back it was on fire! Melted the inside. If I would not of been there it would of burnt my house down! The only way to shut it off and put out the fire was to turn off the power to it. The next day as soon as I turned the power on my GE microwave started on fire again!!! This must be happing to many people and needs to be addressed by GE! This company needs to be held accountable for burning houses down!

Original review: July 16, 2018

Buyer beware. Terrible product, bad customer service. When my Model JVM6175EF1ES started sparking and burning one of the shelf hooks 14 months after I bought it, GE customer service agent chuckled when I asked for a courtesy service visit. Okay, I get it. No extended warranty and problem arose two months after 1-year warranty expired, but not cool that agent was amused under the circumstances.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: June 28, 2018

GE states they do not repair microwave ovens under warranty. Instead, they offer to reimburse you at MSRP for repurchasing the unit if you will show evidence you have ruined the unit's operational function. The interior bulb burned out in my unit, I disabled the unit, sent in pictures and receipt. They sent a coupon for about $30.00 less than MSRP and lied about the conditions of reimbursement. Brendia, the agent I spoke with, broke off email contact when I stated the unit was no longer available from the sellers on the GE seller list (including the seller I originally purchased from), and that the unit was only available at MSRP from the online sellers I could find. My microwave is inoperable and GE has not responded or offered to increase reimbursement to MSRP. I have not located a chain of command to whom I can report Brendia's dishonest management of my case.

Original review: June 25, 2018

We bought our first home a couple of years ago, and it came with brand new appliances. Never in my mind did I think I would need to buy a new microwave after 2 years. Our GE microwave stopped working after 2 years. I had microwaves in past that lasted for 10 years or more. Never again will I buy a GE appliances again. The quality sucks. Don’t waste your money.

Original review: June 19, 2018

June 18, 2018 GE Spacesaver Microwave in use when there was a loud pop, heavy smoke boiled out of the unit and strong smells of wires burning was noted. On fixed income now what do I do? Understand my microwave has been reviewed by ConsumerAffairs for the same issue in the past. Whatever became of their investigation?

Original review: June 12, 2018

GE Guarantee Fit Rebate is a big "LIE". We purchase a new GE 27" MICROWAVE COMBINATION WALL OVENS. ● Model # JK3800DHBB to replace our old GE combo. We purchase GE due to the GE appliance fit guarantee rebate program so that there would not be any additional cost involved and felt that GE would honor their promotion should there be any additional cost. The appliance installer told us that in order for the new unit to fit properly, he had to cut out a portion of the cabinet due to the new unit's configuration. We had the installer look over the rebate program and was assured that it was covered and necessary. The modification cost was additional $250.00, which was above our budget but since we trust that we would be reimbursed by GE, we agreed.

We filled out the rebate form and mailed to GE rebate department with the receipt, photos, serial number as requested in April. After 8 weeks without any updates, I contacted GE on June 11 and found out that they supposedly received the rebate on June 5, 2018. The employee that I spoke to said that in order to complete the rebate, only information missing is a picture of the complete product which I email to GE same day. I called GE on June 12, to confirm that they have received my email with attachment. I was inform by this employee that we would not qualify for the rebate because the modification was to cut the cabinet in order for the electrical line to be mounted properly, which without doing so the new unit would not fit. I ask to speak to a manager and was told that there is not one. No one at GE is taking care of the problem. GE is taking advantage of consumer, seniors, veterans.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Last summer GE replaced the peeling handle on my microwave oven. I have treated the new handle with kid gloves. No abrasive cleaning products have been used and the oven burner under the handle is used infrequently at very lower temperatures. One year later it's peeling AGAIN. All the burner control bezels on my GE Cafe oven have also peeled. The handles look like plastic covered with aluminium foil. Can't believe GE hasn't fixed this problem or issued a recall. I will NEVER purchase another products made by GE!

Original review: May 30, 2018

When we purchased our home it came with GE appliances which was covered under a one-year warranty. My microwave has been broken for nearly 3 months. It is almost impossible to get a service tech to come out immediately. GE customer service is the worst I have ever dealt with. They are unprofessional and unreliable. Most of all uneducated about their job. If I could return all of the items in my house that were made by GE back to the seller I would in a heartbeat. The Appliances are poorly made and the customer service is too difficult to deal with it. It’s not worth the money or the Headache... Stay away from GE appliances.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I purchased a GE Profile stocks in 2007 and a GE microwave model JVM7195SK1SS purchased 12/30/16. We have replaced the knobs on the stove 2 times because of peeling in the past. Now we need to replace the microwave handle. The handles and knobs look like metal but they are cheaply made white plastic covered with a sharp silver coating that peels. It appears the knobs get overheated when the oven opens and the microwave handle from the steam when cooking on the stove.

Last night I cut my hand on the handle! We reordered the faulty handle and now getting charge $100 from GE. The company should take responsibility for their poor design and replace it for free with a nonpeeling part. I know that we will get the same handle and won’t be able to use the burner below or hope that using the fan will keep it from cracking again. I would never recommend a GE product again.

Original review: March 16, 2018

The GE MICROWAVE MODEL JVM6175EF1ES was manufactured in August 2015. I purchased it in November of 2015, brand new from Home Depot. It was not installed until April 2016. So less than 2 years after installation it malfunctioned. (The unit brand new only has a 1 year warranty). The parts the tech replaced have a 5 year warranty. That demonstrates to me that GE does not have a lot of faith in their appliances. Aside from that I paid $375 for the repair, that's almost the price of a new microwave. But I paid since it made more sense to have a 5 year warranty on the parts instead of a 1 year with a brand new unit. I WILL NOT be buying GE products in the future due to this product defect.

Original review: March 11, 2018

This microwave (jvm1540dm5ww) works fine but the plastic door is fracturing into bits. I expect this is because of faulty plastic in China. Cheap alternatives for fast profits. The machine is out of warranty. Replacement door is almost 160$ with shipping. Planned obsolescence by corporate America. This machine works fine but is a waste because I don’t trust the replacement materials to be any more stable. I rated this a two because the actual operation is fine. Sorry GE. I will not buy your brand.

Original review: March 5, 2018

Bought GE range microwave JVM3160DF3BB11/16 from Lowe's. Tripped the breaker. Replaced the breaker with a new. Would immediately trip the breaker as soon as you pushed the start button. Last time it tripped the breaker oven went dead. Won't even light up. Junk. Do not buy made by Haier in China with the GE name on it.

Original review: March 4, 2018

I bought this Microwave JVM3160 on December 2016, after six month the handle door broke but it was replaced as part of the warranty. By January 2018 (no more Warranty) it began tripping the circuit breaker. I change the power source for a dedicate circuit only for the microwave 20 AMP. The microwave blew its own fuse. I replaced its fuse. Then it blew the 20 AMP circuit breaker. That was enough. This microwave went to the garbage after 1 year and 2 month of use.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

The GE over-the-range, model JVM316URFSS was installed in our new home by the builder. We have been in the house and used the microwave moderately for the past two years. Last night, out of nowhere, the microwave started running. I realized that it was actually heating when the glass turntable popped. I jumped up and opened the door to stop the heating. The turntable was broken. The interior was incredibly hot. Having read several reviews I realize that this is not an uncommon problem. I am going to buy a replacement but I am very concerned by the fact that GE is aware of this 'recallable' situation and continue to allow this product to remain on the market. I will NOT purchase another GE because apparently they do not care. Our house could have burned down had we not be home.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Microwave (GE 2.2 PROFILE) was manufactured in Oct 2015, I ordered in November 2015 and it was delivered January 2016. Installed in March 2016. Was making rattling sound like the case was loose or something. The other night I placed cup of water in microwave, turned on for 1minute and FLAMES shot out (on the inside) from the “squares” on the inside. Does it every time so unplugged. Contacted GE. Was told Out of warranty. Repair person can’t come for 2 weeks. Waiting for return call from customer support. I don’t think flames can be fixed!!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

We purchased a GE Model JVM 3160DF3WW microwave oven in October 2016. The handle broke on this unit the first week after we bought it. It then worked fine for 10 months. In August 2017 it began throwing the circuit breaker erratically, then whenever it was turned on and has not worked for a full day since. It has been "repaired" by Appliance Solutions of Utah at least 6-7 times (by two different technicians) and still has not worked. At least $500 worth of new parts have been put into a $200 microwave by them. After numerous calls to GE, they have offered to send me a Goodwill Certificate for the amount of purchase after I buy another GE microwave. With our experience with this microwave (inoperable and unrepairable for 5 months) I don't intend to buy another GE microwave; especially considering the one available locally is the exact same model as the one we have, which was purchased, from Sears, for $191.42.

Appliance Solutions of Utah has all the records of the NUMEROUS unsuccessful repair attempts made on the unit since August 2017. I requested a refund so that a different unit could be purchased. Over the course of the past 5 months I have talked to at least four different "customer representatives", after multiple hours on hold. None could find any record of the previous discussions. GE's final suggested solution was to offer us a $100 "Goodwill Certificate", the title in itself being ironic. So, after buying a microwave which was defective in the first place, spending $75 to have it installed, being without the use of the microwave for five months, and being told that, "GE does not offer refunds", that is what the company feels they should do to rectify the situation.

Setting aside an implied warranty of fitness, the fact that the repair agents sent out by GE could not repair the microwave after numerous attempts would seem sufficient grounds to fully refund the purchase price. That is the least a reputable company would be expected to have done. GE's position is that the store selling the microwave would be responsible for a refund; apparently ignoring the terms of the warranty. I this point, I am considering filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and a claim in small claims court for Breach of Warranty. Obviously, the microwave was never repaired per the terms of the warranty as it is still inoperable and has never worked since the initial report to GE. We will NEVER buy another GE product; Buyer beware!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I just renovated my kitchen and purchased all new appliances. I had stopped buying anything GE because of the poor customer service and inferior appliances. After more than 25 years I thought I would give GE a second chance. What a mistake. My new microwave clunks every time the dish inside spins. GE sent out a repairman who said he fixed it. As soon as he walked out the door, I realized it was never fixed correctly. After waiting on hold with GE for over 45 minutes today, I was told that they will send another repairman out. If he finds it isn't repairable then he will send that info back to GE who will try and figure out how to fix it. If it can't be fixed then I will get a new microwave.

It is a new microwave that was defective. I don't want this microwave because it has been defective since day one. I purchased my appliances from a local family owned store. GE has a policy that they (GE), are responsible for repairs for the first year and then the company I purchased the appliances from will do any future repairs. I will never buy another appliance from GE. They still have the worst customer service. Ridiculous how terribly they stand behind their appliances.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I bought a microwave Model JVM316RF3SS on 6/12/16 from Best Buy. Here is the serial number GG242212A. This thing is tripping the circuit breaker, it is intermittent. I had been buying GE for the house because the stuff would last or they would stand behind their products. Looks like times have changed, I called yesterday to the customer service and the only thing I was offered was a song and dance. If you are to consider buying a GE product, think about it again. This microwave is only a year and a half, to have a tech service guy come out and look at it, it is was priced out at $97-108 for a visit and then parts and time will be added in additional to this visit price.

They have priced this repair out to be cheaper to just replace it. My washer is making excessive pump motor bearing noise during the high spin cycle, this is two years old. Looks like GE is building crap. My background is a mechanical technician for over thirty years, building products that are to be used in the household should be built to last not become a disposable item like a cigarette lighter. Good job GE for joining the other substandard products being built. Must be outsourcing this to a foreign country like everything else. With the model and serial number GE you can call me if you have ANY questions.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

GE above stove microwave (DVM1850DM1BB) stopped working and went completely dead after 1 year. Purchased a second GE microwave because it easily fit into the existing space. Sure enough, the second microwave stopped working and went complete dead a little over a year. I have always heard bad things about GE products, now I can confirm those negative comments about GE products are true.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

Our GE microwave, manufactured in 2012, has been running fine, but the door handle has cracked on the bottom. Imagine my shock when I found the cheapest price for a PLASTIC handle was well over $100. How can this be?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

We just purchased a new home and moved in about a month ago. The builder would only put in GE appliances despite our protests. We had purchased another new home 2 years before with a new GE water softener and GE reverse osmosis system. In the 2 years we were there, we had service people over on multiple occasions because they never worked correctly. The common message from all the service people was that GE makes junk. Corporate designed garbage designed to last only as long as the warranty. Dealing with GE was always a nightmare with long waits and customer service that worked banker’s hours. In other words, GE does not stand behind its garbage.

In any case, we just bought another new house and the signature series microwave (billed as the best they make) would start to run spontaneously and beep when nobody was near it. We had to shut off the power to it just to make sure our house did not burn down. We researched it on the web and determined the keypad was bad. We told them this when we called in the warranty. They took a week to send a technician who would only work banker’s hours and forced me to take a day off work. He gets here and tells me that he had just tested the microwave and learned the keypad was bad! Duh! He then proceeds to tell us that he did not bring a keypad and that he would have to order one that would be mailed to our house. We live on a new street which address is not recognized by FedEx so we told him he needed sent to himself. He refused. He assured us that we would get it.

So, Friday 3:00 pm rolls around and no part shows up so we call to find out what is going on. Mind you, I have already scheduled Monday off work at this point. They tell me that the part is back ordered and that they have no idea when they can ship it. Additionally, they have a wrong address for our house. We tell them the correct one and they tell us their computer does not recognize it. She cannot tell us when the part will be available. We tell her that this is unacceptable and that if they cannot replace the part, they need to replace the microwave. She says that is not her department and we have to call their customer department on Monday which is open from 8 to 5 pm Eastern time! We live on the West coast!!! That means they are only open until 2:00 my time and I have a job where I cannot make calls during the day. I can’t do it at lunch because the hold times are over an hour!!! I guess I have to get up at 5 or take the day off.

When I tell people in the know about this, they just laugh and say, “whaddya expect!?!, it's a GE!”. We have been about a month with a brand-new microwave that has never worked and GE is impossible to reach and has not even ordered the part!!! We are toying with the idea of just replacing the piece of junk with a product manufactured by a reputable company like Samsung or LG from a box store who will honor returns and take the home builder to small claims court. In any case DO NOT BUY GE PRODUCTS!!!

You have been warned. They make cheap junk that never works right and play games so they don't have to honor their warranties. This is a New York Corporation run by people who do not care about customers, honor, or integrity. They make backdoor deals with shady homebuilders to peddle their junk exclusively and you will have to replace it in two years. Learn from our mistake in buying GE. They bring junky crap to life. Garbage Electric is what they should go by.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Adora Microwave - door falling apart: This microwave is supposed to be installed above a range. The materials are not suited to this. The plastic door has disintegrated. We have got through 2 handles. I took the 2nd one off to replace it and the plastic that holds the glass in place just disintegrated onto the floor along with much other plastic parts. Why is the door plastic in the first place if they cannot make it from a heatproof material? Only 4 years old and we are going to have to junk it. When the first handle failed under warranty GE said that it was not covered as it is a "plastic part"! They finally covered it after a long conversation.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I have an above the range GE microwave oven, model no. JVM1750M1CC. It has been in service for about 9 years. About 6 months ago it stopped working with an F3 code. The code claims the control panel needs to be replaced. I found that the price of the control panel was over $100 and the service call was at least $100. A little shopping around and I found I can purchase a new oven for about the same price. As the control panel is located just above the largest burner where water is usually heated to a boil, it receives a lot of steam.

I visited a local church second hand store and purchased a countertop microwave and used it while I found a good solution. I decided to let it dry out for a few days and lo and behold it worked again. Unfortunately it only worked for a few hours, sometimes a full day and then I needed to let it dry out some more. I purchased an extension cord with an on/off switch and hooked it up. Now I can stop the electricity without having to climb up on a chair to pull the plug. Once I was set up with the easy on/off switch I could easily reset it. After about a week of resetting, it got the message. It has been working properly for over two weeks now with no failures.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

5 years ago I updated my complete kitchen with Adora LG appliances. To my dismay, the handle on the microwave (Model DVM1950SR1SS) began peeling like paper. Now I have a white plastic handle that’s supposed to be stainless steel as an eyesore in the middle of my kitchen. When I called GE replacement line, I was informed the handle was $164! My 5 year old kitchen is out of date! As far as I’m concerned this is a defective part and GE should replace it at no charge. I have been a faithful GE purchaser for many years. After this mishap, I will no longer recommend GE appliances or will I purchase them.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

We purchased a GE Profile Microwave with our GE Profile range in 2010. In 2016 we noticed an area on the bottom of the back wall that was peeling. It is in an area where nothing is rubbing or touching it. After taking photos and contacting GE customer service I was offered a discount on a replacement microwave. I expressed my concern that a new microwave might do the same thing--peel. I was told that the newer microwaves have a moisture resistant paint. The area that has peeled is much larger now than is shown in the attached photo taken in 2016. I expected my oven to last longer than 6 years; it's a GE Profile and we take excellent care of our appliances.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I purchased a full suite of GE Monogram Appliances about 5 years ago. All are fine except the microwave which was made in China. The back is rusting out, the inside is chipping at the door and moisture builds up in the door window. This progressive deterioration has taken place over the past 5 years. I paid $420 for the microwave plus $226 for the trim kit. Now, all GE wants to do is sell me a new unit and a new trim kit (will not fit old trim kit). I paid approximately $20,000 for the entire group. I bought GE because I trusted the name. I'm stuck with GE if I want to match the remaining appliances. There are only two people living in this house so there is only minimal usage. To further complicate things, there is no serial number on the tag.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Bought a GE model JVM6175EF1ES for replacement after our house caught on fire in early 2016, worked fine until 10-17. It then under-cooked the same amount of bacon I had been cooking (a paper plate with 3 strips on top of paper towels) since we got it, but it did burn 2 small holes clear through the bacon. I put another paper plate of bacon in for 2 minutes like I had been doing since it was new and it burned it so badly it caught fire. All that was left of the paper plate and bacon was charcoal and glowing embers. It filled the house with smoke and I hate to think what would have happened if I had not been close by while it cooked (I was out in the chicken coop).

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GE has more than 100 years in the industry and provides a wide range of home appliances. The company believes in innovation and elegant design that transform a home into a modern, sleek and efficient place to live.

• Full selection: GE provides the full range of countertop, over the range and built-in microwaves.

• Multi-lingual capacity: Some GE microwaves are equipped with multilingual control panels and display both Spanish and English.

• Removable oven rack: Many models include a removable oven rack to lift the food off the bottom of the microwave to allow for more even heating.

• Many control features: Quick-function buttons are featured on several GE models including "Add 30 Seconds," "Child Lock," and "Auto Defrost."

• Combination ovens: GE manufactures a top-range line of combination microwave and full-sized convection ovens. They feature self-cleaning and glass touch controls.

• Special offers: There are several ways to save money on your GE purchase including claiming rebates and choosing on-sale items through the website. You can also win money back by writing a review of your appliance.

• Best for: Small and medium-sized commercial kitchens, small families and large families. Anyone creating meals for multiple people would enjoy this range.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Ticker Symbol:
GE
www.ge.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business