GE Microwave Ovens
1.54/5
  • 1 star
Based on 37 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

GE Microwave Ovens

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 9, 2018

1010 GE Microwave Ovens Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I just renovated my kitchen and purchased all new appliances. I had stopped buying anything GE because of the poor customer service and inferior appliances. After more than 25 years I thought I would give GE a second chance. What a mistake. My new microwave clunks every time the dish inside spins. GE sent out a repairman who said he fixed it. As soon as he walked out the door, I realized it was never fixed correctly. After waiting on hold with GE for over 45 minutes today, I was told that they will send another repairman out. If he finds it isn't repairable then he will send that info back to GE who will try and figure out how to fix it. If it can't be fixed then I will get a new microwave.

It is a new microwave that was defective. I don't want this microwave because it has been defective since day one. I purchased my appliances from a local family owned store. GE has a policy that they (GE), are responsible for repairs for the first year and then the company I purchased the appliances from will do any future repairs. I will never buy another appliance from GE. They still have the worst customer service. Ridiculous how terribly they stand behind their appliances.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I bought a microwave Model JVM316RF3SS on 6/12/16 from Best Buy. Here is the serial number GG242212A. This thing is tripping the circuit breaker, it is intermittent. I had been buying GE for the house because the stuff would last or they would stand behind their products. Looks like times have changed, I called yesterday to the customer service and the only thing I was offered was a song and dance. If you are to consider buying a GE product, think about it again. This microwave is only a year and a half, to have a tech service guy come out and look at it, it is was priced out at $97-108 for a visit and then parts and time will be added in additional to this visit price.

They have priced this repair out to be cheaper to just replace it. My washer is making excessive pump motor bearing noise during the high spin cycle, this is two years old. Looks like GE is building crap. My background is a mechanical technician for over thirty years, building products that are to be used in the household should be built to last not become a disposable item like a cigarette lighter. Good job GE for joining the other substandard products being built. Must be outsourcing this to a foreign country like everything else. With the model and serial number GE you can call me if you have ANY questions.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

GE above stove microwave (DVM1850DM1BB) stopped working and went completely dead after 1 year. Purchased a second GE microwave because it easily fit into the existing space. Sure enough, the second microwave stopped working and went complete dead a little over a year. I have always heard bad things about GE products, now I can confirm those negative comments about GE products are true.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

Our GE microwave, manufactured in 2012, has been running fine, but the door handle has cracked on the bottom. Imagine my shock when I found the cheapest price for a PLASTIC handle was well over $100. How can this be?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

We just purchased a new home and moved in about a month ago. The builder would only put in GE appliances despite our protests. We had purchased another new home 2 years before with a new GE water softener and GE reverse osmosis system. In the 2 years we were there, we had service people over on multiple occasions because they never worked correctly. The common message from all the service people was that GE makes junk. Corporate designed garbage designed to last only as long as the warranty. Dealing with GE was always a nightmare with long waits and customer service that worked banker’s hours. In other words, GE does not stand behind its garbage.

In any case, we just bought another new house and the signature series microwave (billed as the best they make) would start to run spontaneously and beep when nobody was near it. We had to shut off the power to it just to make sure our house did not burn down. We researched it on the web and determined the keypad was bad. We told them this when we called in the warranty. They took a week to send a technician who would only work banker’s hours and forced me to take a day off work. He gets here and tells me that he had just tested the microwave and learned the keypad was bad! Duh! He then proceeds to tell us that he did not bring a keypad and that he would have to order one that would be mailed to our house. We live on a new street which address is not recognized by FedEx so we told him he needed sent to himself. He refused. He assured us that we would get it.

So, Friday 3:00 pm rolls around and no part shows up so we call to find out what is going on. Mind you, I have already scheduled Monday off work at this point. They tell me that the part is back ordered and that they have no idea when they can ship it. Additionally, they have a wrong address for our house. We tell them the correct one and they tell us their computer does not recognize it. She cannot tell us when the part will be available. We tell her that this is unacceptable and that if they cannot replace the part, they need to replace the microwave. She says that is not her department and we have to call their customer department on Monday which is open from 8 to 5 pm Eastern time! We live on the West coast!!! That means they are only open until 2:00 my time and I have a job where I cannot make calls during the day. I can’t do it at lunch because the hold times are over an hour!!! I guess I have to get up at 5 or take the day off.

When I tell people in the know about this, they just laugh and say, “whaddya expect!?!, it's a GE!”. We have been about a month with a brand-new microwave that has never worked and GE is impossible to reach and has not even ordered the part!!! We are toying with the idea of just replacing the piece of junk with a product manufactured by a reputable company like Samsung or LG from a box store who will honor returns and take the home builder to small claims court. In any case DO NOT BUY GE PRODUCTS!!!

You have been warned. They make cheap junk that never works right and play games so they don't have to honor their warranties. This is a New York Corporation run by people who do not care about customers, honor, or integrity. They make backdoor deals with shady homebuilders to peddle their junk exclusively and you will have to replace it in two years. Learn from our mistake in buying GE. They bring junky crap to life. Garbage Electric is what they should go by.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Adora Microwave - door falling apart: This microwave is supposed to be installed above a range. The materials are not suited to this. The plastic door has disintegrated. We have got through 2 handles. I took the 2nd one off to replace it and the plastic that holds the glass in place just disintegrated onto the floor along with much other plastic parts. Why is the door plastic in the first place if they cannot make it from a heatproof material? Only 4 years old and we are going to have to junk it. When the first handle failed under warranty GE said that it was not covered as it is a "plastic part"! They finally covered it after a long conversation.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I have an above the range GE microwave oven, model no. JVM1750M1CC. It has been in service for about 9 years. About 6 months ago it stopped working with an F3 code. The code claims the control panel needs to be replaced. I found that the price of the control panel was over $100 and the service call was at least $100. A little shopping around and I found I can purchase a new oven for about the same price. As the control panel is located just above the largest burner where water is usually heated to a boil, it receives a lot of steam.

I visited a local church second hand store and purchased a countertop microwave and used it while I found a good solution. I decided to let it dry out for a few days and lo and behold it worked again. Unfortunately it only worked for a few hours, sometimes a full day and then I needed to let it dry out some more. I purchased an extension cord with an on/off switch and hooked it up. Now I can stop the electricity without having to climb up on a chair to pull the plug. Once I was set up with the easy on/off switch I could easily reset it. After about a week of resetting, it got the message. It has been working properly for over two weeks now with no failures.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

5 years ago I updated my complete kitchen with Adora LG appliances. To my dismay, the handle on the microwave (Model DVM1950SR1SS) began peeling like paper. Now I have a white plastic handle that’s supposed to be stainless steel as an eyesore in the middle of my kitchen. When I called GE replacement line, I was informed the handle was $164! My 5 year old kitchen is out of date! As far as I’m concerned this is a defective part and GE should replace it at no charge. I have been a faithful GE purchaser for many years. After this mishap, I will no longer recommend GE appliances or will I purchase them.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

We purchased a GE Profile Microwave with our GE Profile range in 2010. In 2016 we noticed an area on the bottom of the back wall that was peeling. It is in an area where nothing is rubbing or touching it. After taking photos and contacting GE customer service I was offered a discount on a replacement microwave. I expressed my concern that a new microwave might do the same thing--peel. I was told that the newer microwaves have a moisture resistant paint. The area that has peeled is much larger now than is shown in the attached photo taken in 2016. I expected my oven to last longer than 6 years; it's a GE Profile and we take excellent care of our appliances.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I purchased a full suite of GE Monogram Appliances about 5 years ago. All are fine except the microwave which was made in China. The back is rusting out, the inside is chipping at the door and moisture builds up in the door window. This progressive deterioration has taken place over the past 5 years. I paid $420 for the microwave plus $226 for the trim kit. Now, all GE wants to do is sell me a new unit and a new trim kit (will not fit old trim kit). I paid approximately $20,000 for the entire group. I bought GE because I trusted the name. I'm stuck with GE if I want to match the remaining appliances. There are only two people living in this house so there is only minimal usage. To further complicate things, there is no serial number on the tag.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Bought a GE model JVM6175EF1ES for replacement after our house caught on fire in early 2016, worked fine until 10-17. It then under-cooked the same amount of bacon I had been cooking (a paper plate with 3 strips on top of paper towels) since we got it, but it did burn 2 small holes clear through the bacon. I put another paper plate of bacon in for 2 minutes like I had been doing since it was new and it burned it so badly it caught fire. All that was left of the paper plate and bacon was charcoal and glowing embers. It filled the house with smoke and I hate to think what would have happened if I had not been close by while it cooked (I was out in the chicken coop).

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

We bought a top of the line GE microwave oven (model PEB7226DF1BB sn VA201160N) in 2014. It has now failed 5 times in 4 years - 2015, 2016, twice in 2017 & now 2018 - and the repairs have cost us more than the original price of this piece of junk. We bought it from a local dealer, KAM Appliances in Hyannis, MA, but had to resort to an independent repair service, because KAM was not very responsive. I know that I should have given up on it a long time ago, but in the past I always had good luck with GE appliances. Needless to say, I will never buy anything from GE again. I have learned that GE Appliances are now built by Haier, a Chinese company. No wonder they are junk.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

GE Profile Microwave/Convection Oven JVM1790WK, over the range unit, CAUGHT ON FIRE while microwaving water for coffee. One of the four prongs that holds the oven grid in place started flaming wildly and smoking after about one minute of microwaving. My whole kitchen has an acrid awful burning smell. This is my second unit for a small kitchen, and I will be lost without this. The first one I had the handle fell off. This one is too dangerous to use. These units cost $600!!! I cannot afford to replace one every few years. Maybe this model and brand is bad news?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I have had a few cheap microwaves but at this point in my life I wanted to buy a good quality microwave that would last. Well I bought a 200 dollar GE microwave in February. 3 months later it went out on me. I did hard and soft reset numerous times with no success. They offered me a discounted check to replace it and it would take 4-6s weeks to receive. Instead we returned to place of purchase and they gave us a floor model to replace it. All was well for 2 months when lo and behold this one started doing the same thing. No amount of resetting would make it run. It went out cooking corn on the cob. Why is this so hard to keep running? Their response this time was a goodwill rebate certificate to purchase only a GE microwave. Why in heavens name would I want another one? It only lasts a couple of months and who is to say the 3rd replacement will not be the same.

Original review: July 30, 2017

I purchased the unit just over a year ago and it started beeping one night with error "scroll speed" and then "key pad shorted." In the end to repair costs more than to replace, even though it is above stove mounted unit. Do not buy a GE Microwave. Especially model # JVM6172DF1WW.

Original review: July 11, 2017

We moved in a newly built home and resided in this home for three years. The house came equipped with a GE Microwave: Model: JNM1541DM5BB, Serial: ZZ 201867 L. While in the house the microwave came on by itself with flames coming from the center of the unit. The plastic in the center of the unit was on fire. Had I not been home at the time this took place, I would not have a home to live in today. A review of the construction of this product is needed. An investigation to the cause of this mishap is needed.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Built our house and had new GE Appliances. Oven is a GE Profile and the computer panel went out twice in the first 2 yrs. The profile microwave model PEB 7226 SF1SS IS NOW ONLY 3yrs old and not functioning. We rarely use the microwave. Will never buy GE anything in the future.

Original review: June 16, 2017

Purchased this from Home Dept in August of 2015. I started to notice about 3-4 month ago the handle of the door is starting to ripple. It's been getting progressively worse. I wrote to GE asking for a replacement. Their response: "The handle on the unit is definitely designed and tested to withstand normal use of the unit and the range below. If you regularly boil large quantities of liquid on that front burner or boil for long periods of time, the excess moisture and heat can weaken items above it."

I'm sorry, but 1) I do not boil large quantities of water and 2) This unit is designed to be mounted above a stove. And their "good will" response was: "Based on the information, I did some research because we do feel consideration is necessary in this situation and we would be happy to assist with the cost of a new handle. The full price of a new handle is $156.75, but we would be able to discount the price down to $47.74 plus shipping ($5.95) and tax, as a one time gesture of goodwill. I respectively requested they reconsider and send me the part and they denied my request. No more GE products for me!!!

Original review: June 3, 2017

I purchased a General Electric model peb7226df1ww in 2013. It lasted two years, then failed. I replaced it and two years later the replacement failed. At least GE microwaves are reliable in that aspect. You can count on them to fail. I am convinced GE installs a delayed kill switch on their microwaves to help their revenue stream. This was the last GE appliance I will ever purchase.

Original review: May 25, 2017

I just found the site for the review on 5/17. I've had two GE Cafe microwaves model CVM2072SM3SS purchased at the same time for the two kitchens in the house. The microwave in the in-law suite lasted one year and I replaced it with a very economical one which has been fine for 3 years. The electrician could not repair it. The microwave in the main kitchen is 5 years old but it stopped working (same issue of frozen panel) after 4 years. In Nov. 2016, during Thanksgiving weekend, it froze and stopped working. I looked on YouTube and we "cleaned the terminals in the panel using alcohol". That worked for 2 months. When it stopped again I tried the same remedy but it did not work. The panel lights up, but it will not respond to any commands. After 7 months of it being inoperable, I decided to either fix or replace it (while using a way cheaper GE from a friend).

This is an abysmally poorly engineered VERY expensive microwave. The LED panel is a disgrace! Do not buy CAFE microwaves. I'm out $1500+ (for two) plus the replacements, the aggravation, the ugly looking counter with the loaner from my friend. I am ready to bite the bullet and buy a microwave that fits the style of my kitchen. It won't be a CAFE! Although it is a set... Enough is enough. I give up.

Original review: May 14, 2017

Just two years old, the interior paint in my GE Microwave JES1072SHSS started to peel. I called customer service, then emailed, learned that the paint peeling posed no health problem, then, as a gesture of goodwill, given a $75 rebate. I foolishly bought yet the same microwave today (and will return it) as I read here on this site: not only is it unsafe to use a microwave with peeling paint, GE had a class action suit over this very issue and never took responsibility for the health risks to loyal consumers. So it gets returned this week. But PLEASE BEWARE. Gosh, I really bought the goodwill - hook, line and sinker! Then I read all the complaints here - about peeling paint.

Original review: May 12, 2017

Bought our GE Microwave (DVM1850DMWW) from Home Depot about 5-6 years ago. I can see a unit just failing; but to start burning, smoking and smelling is non-excusable. We were lucky enough to be in the kitchen at the time and catch the problem before it escalated. While the unit was just ok while it worked, potentially burning down our kitchen is inexcusable regardless of age. Time for a range hood and a small countertop model. A non-GE model.

Original review: April 28, 2017

Model# Pvm9179dk1bb, Serial rg248422b - I'm not happy at all. Does not cook things in the middle. I am talking cookies, brownies, meatloaf. My old one quit working and I loved it. This one is horrible. I had a tech out to look at it and he agreed that the heat was not even but that is the way they are now. That is unacceptable. Paid good money for this and it does not do what it should.

Original review: April 25, 2017

I have had my GE microwave for over 6 years and the paint is flaking off the inside of the microwave, causing a health and fire hazard. Paint chips in the food and bare metal exposed can cause arching which in turn can be a potential fire hazard. After researching online I have found that this is not a uncommon problem with GE microwaves. Some have had this issue after 1 year. I contacted GE and told them of the problem and that I felt this was a manufactures defect.

GE does not feel that this is a defect problem but advised me not to use the microwave any longer. Their solution was to discard this microwave and purchase a new one. I paid almost $300.00 for the original one plus $20.00 for a mounting kit. I was told that GE would offer me a discount on a new one from $339.93 to $319.93 total. This is not much of a offer considering this should be a obvious manufacturer's defect. By ordering another I will have the same problem again. GE needs to stand by their products and admit fault.

Original review: April 18, 2017

GE Microwave Model JVM6175EF1ES - On July 26, 2014 purchased as a set stove, refrigerator, dishwasher and microwave. From the beginning I had problems with the microwave with the door had a bad connection and the microwave would shut off. On April 2015 the microwave started working without me starting it and I had look up and I saw sparks on the inside and I unplug it. GE replace it and now after 2 years I have the same problem just started and would not shut off and I unplug it. Both times I was lucky to be home. I would like GE to fix my microwave. I understand it has passed one year but, I think appliances should not break down after 2 years. I would like it fixed or replaced if possible. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

Original review: March 20, 2017

We bought a microwave oven (CVM1790SS2SS, ZA301193K) for our new house some 4.5 yers ago. The flimsy, but very shiny, metal cover on the door handle split and the resulting sharp, but hidden, edge cut my finger. We covered it up with scotch tape, and ordered a replacement for the handle. We paid GE $102 (other folk sell it for $76, as we later discovered). There were no useable installation instructions. Our extremely competent handyman could not figure out how to do it and called GE for help at 800 636-2005. He was rudely dismissed and was told to look for instructions on Youtube! He spent 2 hours to install the replacement part. The screws that came with it, were not quite right. I'll never buy another GE appliance in my life. The Item was ordered by Ellen ** (It was shipped on 1/17/2017).

Original review: March 10, 2017

No response to GE problem, just delays. Gary **, project engineer **, geappliances@ge.com. Microwave JES1142SJ06 fuse not accessible. Special screws prevent in box access. ** ignored problem and waited for me to make an angry email mistake in insulting him to cease any action.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

Microwave Model JVM1750DP2bb defective construction- Plastic is protruding inside the Oven. Took possession of a new home in January 2014, but only occupied part time. I estimate we had the equivalent of 6 months being occupied. In January 2017 the magnetron broke down, at which time I noticed a piece of plastics protruding inside the microwave through a vent hole on the Magnetron side. I did not take the extended warranty and GE only offered to send a repair man. Since this is an over the stove model venting outside, it had to be repaired or replaced.

Checked with the supplier and they estimated a minimum of $ 300 repair cost. Home Depot had model JVM6175DKBB on sale for 249.00, and with delivery, and installation, we're talking $ 350.00 to $400.00 to replace. I got in touch with GE Consumer Affairs, and they did eventually agree to provide the JVM6175DKBB for $ 270.00 including installation. They will take possession of the old model, so there won't be any way for me to confirm or deny a manufacturing defect.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

Microwave Model HVM1540LP1CS... This microwave was installed 6 years ago when I built my home. I live by myself and the microwave has only been used by me. I loved this microwave until suddenly it began to turn on by itself and I would often hear popping noises. I looked up reviews of this GE microwave and found that this is a frequent problem with GE microwaves. Fires were reported in a couple of reviews so I immediately unplugged mine, as a safety precaution. If this happens frequently with these microwaves, why isn't GE replacing the parts for the defective machines since they can be fire hazards?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

Soon after getting our new Cafe Microwave CVM2072SM3SS the control panel died. I called GE and power cycling got it going again. This is an over the stove microwave, so we were also told by GE not to use the right front burner without the fan on boost. The problem persisted from time to time and steadily got worse over our 5 years of ownership. Reading the internet this was a common problem known to GE but they took no action to contact owners. The panel is now dead and my only option, having tried the fixes on Youtube, is to invest money starting at $108 for an inspection or buy a new Microwave. My entire experience with this product has been a big disappointment as I also own a GE Cafe range, fridge, and dishwasher.

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GE has more than 100 years in the industry and provides a wide range of home appliances. The company believes in innovation and elegant design that transform a home into a modern, sleek and efficient place to live.

• Full selection: GE provides the full range of countertop, over the range and built-in microwaves.

• Multi-lingual capacity: Some GE microwaves are equipped with multilingual control panels and display both Spanish and English.

• Removable oven rack: Many models include a removable oven rack to lift the food off the bottom of the microwave to allow for more even heating.

• Many control features: Quick-function buttons are featured on several GE models including "Add 30 Seconds," "Child Lock," and "Auto Defrost."

• Combination ovens: GE manufactures a top-range line of combination microwave and full-sized convection ovens. They feature self-cleaning and glass touch controls.

• Special offers: There are several ways to save money on your GE purchase including claiming rebates and choosing on-sale items through the website. You can also win money back by writing a review of your appliance.

• Best for: Small and medium-sized commercial kitchens, small families and large families. Anyone creating meals for multiple people would enjoy this range.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.ge.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use