Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

1065 GE Microwave Ovens Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 10, 2019

Replaced magnetron 6 months after purchase! It seems to only be the Adora series that has this issue. I replaced a 13yr old GE Microwave that still worked. Will return in 6 months to give updates on reliability.

Original review: July 9, 2019

New home community - all GE appliances. Model PEB7226SF2SS microwave scorching and catching on fire; GE doesn't stand behind their products and homeowners can't use because products our dangerous (per tech).

Get expert buying tips about Microwaves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 1, 2019

Purchased a black stainless steel microwave model JVM7195BLTS. When we opened the box we realized the handle finish was stainless steel and not black stainless steel as the rest of the unit. The website picture clearly shows a matching black stainless steel finish on the handle. Store was unaware of any problems and reordered another one. They claimed the GE rep said they had a problem with the handles on these units but didn't tell the retailers.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I bought a 1.6 cu ft microwave at Christmas, microwave failed within a month (electric burning smell and microwave quit). Contacted GE to replace and was given a run around (told to buy first, send them the receipt, then they sent a check). Finally they replaced now - have the same issue with the new one. Never buy a GE appliance, I certainly will not!!

Original review: June 21, 2019

GE® 1.6 Cu. Ft. Over-the-Range Microwave Oven. Model: JVM3160DFWW. Serial: ZL251409A. It's a factory defective. From customer relation of GE said they don't do nothing. But fan makes lot of sound, they should replace the unit.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: June 18, 2019

I bought a GE PEB7227 Profile Microwave and after 6 months the door latch breaks. Service tech comes and says, "Sorry parts are back ordered for 3 months (including new frame due to damage done to it getting the thing open)." I call GE "customer care". Explain that it's obviously cheaper to drop ship me a new unit (and I will waive the new frame) than all of the parts, frame and a second call to fix the unit. Their answer, buy a new unit at a discount or simply go without a microwave for 3 months. Add me to the list of victims trying to warn others to NEVER buy a GE product.

Original review: May 31, 2019

I have an above range GE Microwave - it is not even 2 years old and it is done. I noticed the past few months it was not heating properly - it needed more time. This week it just blew out! NO more GE Microwaves. I have a refrigerator and I am wondering how long that will last. Thank you!

Original review: May 24, 2019

The jvm3160 series has a known defect in the door interlock electrical system that blows the unit fuse if the door is opened while the mw oven is operating. This usually occurs after the warranty expires. Cost to repair can exceed the original cost of the unit. Mine failed in warranty but it took them 10 weeks to fix it. The reason it took so long is that GEs repair protocol calls replacing the whole door (which has NO electrical parts in it) instead of replacing just the latch assembly because the labor cost to replace the latch itself exceeds the cost of a complete door assembly. Door assemblies were on back-order because of the high failure rate.

Original review: May 16, 2019

GE appliances were installed in my new build home including a brand new, never used microwave. When we did our walkthroughs the microwave appeared to work (turned on, timer ran, etc.) but after signing we found out that the unit was a dud and the microwave emitter did not work so nothing was ever heated regardless of the run time. We have called GE several times only to get extremely rude and dismissive customer service reps (“Audrey” if that was even her real name). They refuse to replace a brand new unit that never worked and insist on trying to repair it, but we are also being told that this will take several trips as the technician will only first come to inspect it then a second trip will be needed to bring out the necessary parts (they don’t carry them in the truck because they are “fragile”). I’ll never be using a GE product again.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Paint is peeling on the top part of the oven. It could fall into food. This seems to be a common problem. Called GE. They said it could not be repaired and to stop using it. Buy a new one. What kind of product do they put out that cannot be repaired? Not very good in my estimation. Customer Service did not offer much assistance to replace it. Be warned. Don’t buy GE products.

Original review: April 5, 2019

We purchased this microwave in 2016. It worked fine for a few months then one day we go to use it and it would not start. It took pushing the start button 5 times for it to work and the express cook did not work. Then 2018 came and it was November 2018 and the microwave started to short out and started smoking. So we bought a new Panasonic microwave and so far so good. Would not tell anyone to buy a GE brand item ever again.

Original review: March 17, 2019

We normally purchase LG appliances but this time we purchased a GE Profile induction range and GE Profile above range microwave oven. The relay went out on the microwave oven about six months after we got them. Their website for scheduling service is absolutely horrible and didn’t work multiple times and when I was finally able to schedule, it was two weeks out. I then called but was told I couldn’t get an earlier appointment. So we waited the two weeks, then they had to order the relay. GE waited until the part was delivered to us to schedule the return visit - over 2 1/2 weeks later! So at this point we are without our new microwave for over a month and a half. Moral of the story is never ever to tempted to buy from GE, LG appliances & cust service are great.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

My experience with GE over range microwave oven (built in) as follows/ Unit Mod.JVM3160RF3SS. Ser.#GG248367A, this unit was produced April 2016. Review February 28, 2019, unit began to disconnect itself during normal use. This was done by way of throwing 15 amp breaker. New home with dedicated circuit = Yes. Online Problem shows indoor sensors interlocks not adjusted properly. Troubleshoot fee minimum $99 with parts estimate $250.00. We have been limping along for two months with frequent trips to basement resetting breaker, now the breaker trips when activated. Same thing happens on multiple circuits, via extension cord trial. Next step purchase NEW MICROWAVE that is not GE.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

My experience with GE over range microwave oven as follows/ Unit Mod.JVM3160DF3WWW. Ser.#GH260692A, this unit was purchased April 2017, February 2019, unit began to disconnect itself during normal use. This was done by way of throwing 15 amp breaker. No satisfaction from GE, NO extended warranty purchased, guilty as charged, contacted elect. tech. No idea of problem, #2 elect. problem in door sensors of which there are numerous, notice black residue on duel latch on door caused by door latch device rubbing on unit latch receiver cost to discover which sensor cause and replace one or all 250.00.

We have been limping along for two months with frequent trips to basement resetting breaker (which we had replaced) next move, purchase NEW MICROWAVE. Let me be very direct if we wanted JUNK we would buy Asian made, THAT being said, there will be NO...General Electric products in this house. This is our second GE product BUST, 100.00 advertised by manufacturer. Never delivered! But hey we are just small time consumers. What might else we expect.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

While heating a bowl of butter, my microwave arced. Microwave had smoke and electric fire smell. I have contacted GE. They said it was a rare issue. From the reviews on this site, I do not believe that this is a rare issue. They offered a 25 dollar coupon to buy another one. I do not believe I would do that. GE has had microwave recalls in the past due to fire hazard. I have registered a concern with the Consumer Products Safety Commission.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I had a new GE profile microwave which broke off couple of times and finally after 4 years of using it had to replace it. Since it was a built in so had not many options for replacement and went for GE again. This time the new microwave had a faulty door switch. It wasn't opening up every time. Scheduled an appointment and no one showed up - waiting for the whole day. I called the customer service 3 times and learnt that they had ordered some parts and were waiting for that. No one called and conveyed me this. I learnt myself after waiting from 8 am to 5 pm and upon calling them. They rescheduled me for a week later so that the parts can arrive. The day before the appointment I called again and now they don't have me in the scheduled appointment and got another appointment a week later. IT IS SUCH A BAD COMMUNICATION BY GE. I will NEVER recommend GE to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

All I wanted to do was eat dinner with my husband and I wound up on the internet for an hour trying to figure out how to make our microwave work. There is some kind of thing that locks you out of using it. Very frustrating when you just want to eat dinner!! Nothing works and you have to google "how do you unlock" this piece of crap that you paid good money for and trusted the GE label. All we ever use is "defrost" food or "time cook" vegetables. If you want a complex computer, go for this thing. Otherwise, I suggest you go for a simpler microwave that you can depend on to work.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I purchase GE Profile appliances for my new home. I thought I had done my research but until I actually owned I found I feel differently. The microwave pad scratches very easy and after only a few months you can see which buttons I use the most. I’ve only used a microfibers cloth to clean and it scratched the surface. Appliance repairman said to use terry towel. Wish I’d known that. Secondly, after owning all Samsung appliances previously I now appreciate what I had. So many of the features of my past microwave are not on this GE. For example the vegetable good, built in sensory knew when vegetables were cooked. Also, soften butter and chocolate was another feature. Thaw meat knew when it was thawed. So my advise go for the Samsung microwave

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

A few years ago, I purchased a brand new GE microwave oven. A week ago the microwave oven stopped working. I contacted an Appliance Repair company for repair. When the tech came & disassembled the microwave oven, he discovered pliers inside the oven. We took pictures of it (BTW, it wasn't the cause of the problem). I contacted GE to alert them of this & they told me that the robots that assembled the microwave oven probably dropped it in there. Then they said they will send a tech to my residence to investigate. I told them that the pliers was removed & the microwave oven is fixed & assembled.

Nonetheless they sent a tech anyway. I told the tech what his Customer Service said & he said he wasn't surprised about the tool being inside an appliance from GE & GE's response. In summary, I would not recommend purchasing any GE products. They proved their products are a safety hazard & they don't care about the consumer nor their safety. All they care about is taking your $$$.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

When I entered my home I notice the microwave door was open and light was on. I closed it and took packages to my room. When I entered the kitchen I seen flames coming from inside unit. I put out flames with a fire. The panel was off and microwave was empty. My son said he left the door open because when he closed it hummed. I am very blessed that my home or loss of life did not happen. I contacted GE to see if there was a recall and was offered a 20.00 discount. I really feel that this is a hazard waiting to happen.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

The insulation around the lamp shell has disintegrated leaving the shell exposed. GE appliance repair contractor stated the unit is out of warranty. I suggested to the repair person that insulation should not fail and that was a safety issue and this repair should be covered. He stated that unless the manual expressly stated such then it was a chargeable repair.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

This failed after 15 months, when internal fuse kept blowing every few days. Made complaint to GE resolutions dept at 800 386 1215 and best they would do was $100 towards buying another same piece of junk, for which I would be paying an additional $250 to repeat the experience. I buy for multiple rental properties and no more GE products. JUNK - JVM3160RF3!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I purchased all the kitchen appliances. All GE brands. The microwave after almost 3 years the white paint from inside start peeling. When I called GE directly, received no help at all. They wanted to replace the microwave and the stove for over $2400. I can buy the full set from Best Buy for almost $2300 all in Samsung brand. Also, this related to paint issue. Maybe the paint is a very low quality or something related to lead-paint. Imagine you are warming up the food and know nothing about the paint is peeling, and each time you have small pieces in your food. I wish I could add the recording of the microwave that everybody could see.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Ordered a repair part for my GE Cafe series microwave because the touchpad failed. The person who took the order told me they had a "No Hassle" return policy. They shipped the part right away but I decided to replace the microwave instead. I am still waiting 3 weeks later for them to pick up the item via Fed Ex and credit my account. They told me I cannot drop it off at a Fed Ex office. This is ridiculous!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

My less than a year old GE microwave stopped working last week. My AT&T phone service died so I had to make repair arrangements online. Guy was here this morning. My microwave’s main board is fried. It does not conform to Repair Guy’s published schematics. Repair Tech could not upload new data to it. Repair guy did order three new parts including a main board. GE told Repair Guy that mainboard delivery ETA UNKNOWN. After three hours here repair tech left and told me to call GE customer care. Believe it or not, two hours on telephone with GE. First you need to talk to a customer service rep that cannot help you. They then determine you need a Customer Advocate. Then they need to input data on your file for the Customer Advocate.

Then they need to transfer you to that department. Then you have to get a case number assigned. Then you give someone all the serial numbers and model numbers again. Then the Customer Advocate (CA) takes the call. The CA does not speak English as you and I speak English. After the CA puts me on hold to verify the purchase, then the appointment, then the tech and then the order they actually speak to me. In my case, the mainboard part is not available on CA’s computer. The CA has to electronically contact the parts department to find out if the part is in this universe. If the part can be delivered to my Repair Guy in Jackson, GA within 14 BUSINESS days from the date of the inquiry I have to take the part and wait for repair.

In the event the part cannot be delivered in 14 days CA will start a process to get me a new microwave. The parts department has up to 48 hours to respond to the CA. When asked what happens if no response occurs in 48 hours, I was told, That never happens. It is the Christmas Holiday and I anticipated guests. My husband is disabled and his meals are pre-made frozen so I will have to decompose them and heat them on the cooktop. GE could care less about those issues. So after waiting five days for repair I have no working microwave. Someone told me not to replace my GE with a GE, but I did not listen. It is December, holidays, no microwave is an aggravation that I thought paying for a GE product would alleviate. So, on January 2nd I might get an answer. Part possible or new appliance COULD be ordered and delivered by someone sometime.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Installed 07/06/2015 While I was asleep on 12/09/18 the oven appeared to start microwaving an empty oven on its own. When I came down 5 hours later the microwave had no power. I opened door and turntable had melted and glass had exploded. The ring under it was burnt and melted in one location. Top of cabinet on right side was hot. Then the internal circuit breaker restored itself and started some recovery process making odd noises sounded like the magnetron was trying to run since the top was getting hotter, after a minute the internal circuit breaker shut it down again. I then unplugged it. It appeared the magnetron started heating on its own and turntable did not rotate. All of the heat was concentrated at 12:00 edge of glass turntable. It also burnt the metal floor under that spot.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Purchased a microwave 5 weeks ago. When cooking it smells like something is burning. GE would only issue a goodwill certificate. Now I'm forced to buy another GE product. After taking the cover off it's clear that one of the connectors actually melted. It bubbled up and turned black. Because of this and the fact that other reviewers had the same problem. I don't want to buy another GE product. I don't think it's unreasonable to get a refund since it's only been 5 weeks. If I have purchased at a different store with a longer return policy I would be able to just bring it back to the store. Apparently the quality of GE products has gone down. I would not recommend.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

My daughter gave me a GE microwave, model no. JES1460DS3BB, (she paid $155) for Mother's Day, 2017. In October, 2018, not even 1.5 years later, the microwave began malfunctioning. It would intermittently freeze mid cycle, with the timer still going and the inside light flashing off and on. I contacted the company through their website email to complain about this strange malfunction in this practically new microwave. It took three days to receive a reply. Apparently I had used the wrong model number and it took THAT LONG for GE to figure it out.

After providing Teresa, the case manager, supposedly helping me, with the correct model no., it took another three days for Teresa the case manager to reply. This time, instead of offering me repair options, she immediately tried to get me to buy another GE microwave and offered me a $75 rebate to use towards one. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? My microwave is barely 1 1/2 years old and SHOULD NOT have these operating issues.

I replied to Teresa with my keen dissatisfaction of how GE was handling my case and I NEVER heard back from her. Until 8 days later, a Shelly followed up to see if Teresa helped me. I immediately replied to Shelly and gave her an update on my dilemma and that I NEVER received a reply from Teresa. I NEVER heard back from Shelly again.

Then, four days later I heard back from Teresa saying that if I did not use the $75 rebate that she was going to close my case. The GE employees are not on the same page and left me so unhappy, I had to purchase another microwave from Walmart (NOT a GE) to replace GE's FAULTY unit. I highly discourage consumers from purchasing any and all GE products. Not only do they have HORRIBLE and UNACCEPTABLE customer service, their employees are not qualified to work with the public. I DEFINITELY got a lemon microwave and obviously GE does not stand behind their product.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Bought a GE microwave and arranged to have it installed. Kept it in sealed box for 3 days until installer appointment. Opened box to find a crease (dent) in door. I phoned in to the GE warranty depot and they informed me that I only had 48 hours to report and as such was out of luck. They indicated that it is clearly stated in the Appliance Manual under the warranty section. Too bad that the Manual was in the sealed box. No warning on the outside of the box. On top of that the individual that I spoke to at the Warranty Depot was very rude. No more GE Appliances for me. Be forewarned.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I called GE service for a vibration that didn't happen every time. He couldn't fix it at that time. I called a second time when it was happening all the time and was told the only thing he could do was replace all the parts inside. On his third visit he replaced everything. It made it worse and was vibrating more and was noisier. He told me that's the best he could do. GE doesn't replace its products, so I'm stuck with a microwave that's vibrating and noisy. Won't buy GE products again.

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GE has more than 100 years in the industry and provides a wide range of home appliances. The company believes in innovation and elegant design that transform a home into a modern, sleek and efficient place to live.

• Full selection: GE provides the full range of countertop, over the range and built-in microwaves.

• Multi-lingual capacity: Some GE microwaves are equipped with multilingual control panels and display both Spanish and English.

• Removable oven rack: Many models include a removable oven rack to lift the food off the bottom of the microwave to allow for more even heating.

• Many control features: Quick-function buttons are featured on several GE models including "Add 30 Seconds," "Child Lock," and "Auto Defrost."

• Combination ovens: GE manufactures a top-range line of combination microwave and full-sized convection ovens. They feature self-cleaning and glass touch controls.

• Special offers: There are several ways to save money on your GE purchase including claiming rebates and choosing on-sale items through the website. You can also win money back by writing a review of your appliance.

• Best for: Small and medium-sized commercial kitchens, small families and large families. Anyone creating meals for multiple people would enjoy this range.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs