1.67/5
Based on 446 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1021 GE Microwave Ovens Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 12, 2018

GE Guarantee Fit Rebate is a big "LIE". We purchase a new GE 27" MICROWAVE COMBINATION WALL OVENS. ● Model # JK3800DHBB to replace our old GE combo. We purchase GE due to the GE appliance fit guarantee rebate program so that there would not be any additional cost involved and felt that GE would honor their promotion should there be any additional cost. The appliance installer told us that in order for the new unit to fit properly, he had to cut out a portion of the cabinet due to the new unit's configuration. We had the installer look over the rebate program and was assured that it was covered and necessary. The modification cost was additional $250.00, which was above our budget but since we trust that we would be reimbursed by GE, we agreed.

We filled out the rebate form and mailed to GE rebate department with the receipt, photos, serial number as requested in April. After 8 weeks without any updates, I contacted GE on June 11 and found out that they supposedly received the rebate on June 5, 2018. The employee that I spoke to said that in order to complete the rebate, only information missing is a picture of the complete product which I email to GE same day. I called GE on June 12, to confirm that they have received my email with attachment. I was inform by this employee that we would not qualify for the rebate because the modification was to cut the cabinet in order for the electrical line to be mounted properly, which without doing so the new unit would not fit. I ask to speak to a manager and was told that there is not one. No one at GE is taking care of the problem. GE is taking advantage of consumer, seniors, veterans.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Last summer GE replaced the peeling handle on my microwave oven. I have treated the new handle with kid gloves. No abrasive cleaning products have been used and the oven burner under the handle is used infrequently at very lower temperatures. One year later it's peeling AGAIN. All the burner control bezels on my GE Cafe oven have also peeled. The handles look like plastic covered with aluminium foil. Can't believe GE hasn't fixed this problem or issued a recall. I will NEVER purchase another products made by GE!

Get expert buying tips about Microwaves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 30, 2018

When we purchased our home it came with GE appliances which was covered under a one-year warranty. My microwave has been broken for nearly 3 months. It is almost impossible to get a service tech to come out immediately. GE customer service is the worst I have ever dealt with. They are unprofessional and unreliable. Most of all uneducated about their job. If I could return all of the items in my house that were made by GE back to the seller I would in a heartbeat. The Appliances are poorly made and the customer service is too difficult to deal with it. It’s not worth the money or the Headache... Stay away from GE appliances.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I purchased a GE Profile stocks in 2007 and a GE microwave model JVM7195SK1SS purchased 12/30/16. We have replaced the knobs on the stove 2 times because of peeling in the past. Now we need to replace the microwave handle. The handles and knobs look like metal but they are cheaply made white plastic covered with a sharp silver coating that peels. It appears the knobs get overheated when the oven opens and the microwave handle from the steam when cooking on the stove.

Last night I cut my hand on the handle! We reordered the faulty handle and now getting charge $100 from GE. The company should take responsibility for their poor design and replace it for free with a nonpeeling part. I know that we will get the same handle and won’t be able to use the burner below or hope that using the fan will keep it from cracking again. I would never recommend a GE product again.

Original review: March 16, 2018

The GE MICROWAVE MODEL JVM6175EF1ES was manufactured in August 2015. I purchased it in November of 2015, brand new from Home Depot. It was not installed until April 2016. So less than 2 years after installation it malfunctioned. (The unit brand new only has a 1 year warranty). The parts the tech replaced have a 5 year warranty. That demonstrates to me that GE does not have a lot of faith in their appliances. Aside from that I paid $375 for the repair, that's almost the price of a new microwave. But I paid since it made more sense to have a 5 year warranty on the parts instead of a 1 year with a brand new unit. I WILL NOT be buying GE products in the future due to this product defect.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: March 11, 2018

This microwave (jvm1540dm5ww) works fine but the plastic door is fracturing into bits. I expect this is because of faulty plastic in China. Cheap alternatives for fast profits. The machine is out of warranty. Replacement door is almost 160$ with shipping. Planned obsolescence by corporate America. This machine works fine but is a waste because I don’t trust the replacement materials to be any more stable. I rated this a two because the actual operation is fine. Sorry GE. I will not buy your brand.

Original review: March 5, 2018

Bought GE range microwave JVM3160DF3BB11/16 from Lowe's. Tripped the breaker. Replaced the breaker with a new. Would immediately trip the breaker as soon as you pushed the start button. Last time it tripped the breaker oven went dead. Won't even light up. Junk. Do not buy made by Haier in China with the GE name on it.

Original review: March 4, 2018

I bought this Microwave JVM3160 on December 2016, after six month the handle door broke but it was replaced as part of the warranty. By January 2018 (no more Warranty) it began tripping the circuit breaker. I change the power source for a dedicate circuit only for the microwave 20 AMP. The microwave blew its own fuse. I replaced its fuse. Then it blew the 20 AMP circuit breaker. That was enough. This microwave went to the garbage after 1 year and 2 month of use.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

The GE over-the-range, model JVM316URFSS was installed in our new home by the builder. We have been in the house and used the microwave moderately for the past two years. Last night, out of nowhere, the microwave started running. I realized that it was actually heating when the glass turntable popped. I jumped up and opened the door to stop the heating. The turntable was broken. The interior was incredibly hot. Having read several reviews I realize that this is not an uncommon problem. I am going to buy a replacement but I am very concerned by the fact that GE is aware of this 'recallable' situation and continue to allow this product to remain on the market. I will NOT purchase another GE because apparently they do not care. Our house could have burned down had we not be home.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Microwave (GE 2.2 PROFILE) was manufactured in Oct 2015, I ordered in November 2015 and it was delivered January 2016. Installed in March 2016. Was making rattling sound like the case was loose or something. The other night I placed cup of water in microwave, turned on for 1minute and FLAMES shot out (on the inside) from the “squares” on the inside. Does it every time so unplugged. Contacted GE. Was told Out of warranty. Repair person can’t come for 2 weeks. Waiting for return call from customer support. I don’t think flames can be fixed!!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

We purchased a GE Model JVM 3160DF3WW microwave oven in October 2016. The handle broke on this unit the first week after we bought it. It then worked fine for 10 months. In August 2017 it began throwing the circuit breaker erratically, then whenever it was turned on and has not worked for a full day since. It has been "repaired" by Appliance Solutions of Utah at least 6-7 times (by two different technicians) and still has not worked. At least $500 worth of new parts have been put into a $200 microwave by them. After numerous calls to GE, they have offered to send me a Goodwill Certificate for the amount of purchase after I buy another GE microwave. With our experience with this microwave (inoperable and unrepairable for 5 months) I don't intend to buy another GE microwave; especially considering the one available locally is the exact same model as the one we have, which was purchased, from Sears, for $191.42.

Appliance Solutions of Utah has all the records of the NUMEROUS unsuccessful repair attempts made on the unit since August 2017. I requested a refund so that a different unit could be purchased. Over the course of the past 5 months I have talked to at least four different "customer representatives", after multiple hours on hold. None could find any record of the previous discussions. GE's final suggested solution was to offer us a $100 "Goodwill Certificate", the title in itself being ironic. So, after buying a microwave which was defective in the first place, spending $75 to have it installed, being without the use of the microwave for five months, and being told that, "GE does not offer refunds", that is what the company feels they should do to rectify the situation.

Setting aside an implied warranty of fitness, the fact that the repair agents sent out by GE could not repair the microwave after numerous attempts would seem sufficient grounds to fully refund the purchase price. That is the least a reputable company would be expected to have done. GE's position is that the store selling the microwave would be responsible for a refund; apparently ignoring the terms of the warranty. I this point, I am considering filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and a claim in small claims court for Breach of Warranty. Obviously, the microwave was never repaired per the terms of the warranty as it is still inoperable and has never worked since the initial report to GE. We will NEVER buy another GE product; Buyer beware!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I just renovated my kitchen and purchased all new appliances. I had stopped buying anything GE because of the poor customer service and inferior appliances. After more than 25 years I thought I would give GE a second chance. What a mistake. My new microwave clunks every time the dish inside spins. GE sent out a repairman who said he fixed it. As soon as he walked out the door, I realized it was never fixed correctly. After waiting on hold with GE for over 45 minutes today, I was told that they will send another repairman out. If he finds it isn't repairable then he will send that info back to GE who will try and figure out how to fix it. If it can't be fixed then I will get a new microwave.

It is a new microwave that was defective. I don't want this microwave because it has been defective since day one. I purchased my appliances from a local family owned store. GE has a policy that they (GE), are responsible for repairs for the first year and then the company I purchased the appliances from will do any future repairs. I will never buy another appliance from GE. They still have the worst customer service. Ridiculous how terribly they stand behind their appliances.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I bought a microwave Model JVM316RF3SS on 6/12/16 from Best Buy. Here is the serial number GG242212A. This thing is tripping the circuit breaker, it is intermittent. I had been buying GE for the house because the stuff would last or they would stand behind their products. Looks like times have changed, I called yesterday to the customer service and the only thing I was offered was a song and dance. If you are to consider buying a GE product, think about it again. This microwave is only a year and a half, to have a tech service guy come out and look at it, it is was priced out at $97-108 for a visit and then parts and time will be added in additional to this visit price.

They have priced this repair out to be cheaper to just replace it. My washer is making excessive pump motor bearing noise during the high spin cycle, this is two years old. Looks like GE is building crap. My background is a mechanical technician for over thirty years, building products that are to be used in the household should be built to last not become a disposable item like a cigarette lighter. Good job GE for joining the other substandard products being built. Must be outsourcing this to a foreign country like everything else. With the model and serial number GE you can call me if you have ANY questions.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

GE above stove microwave (DVM1850DM1BB) stopped working and went completely dead after 1 year. Purchased a second GE microwave because it easily fit into the existing space. Sure enough, the second microwave stopped working and went complete dead a little over a year. I have always heard bad things about GE products, now I can confirm those negative comments about GE products are true.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

Our GE microwave, manufactured in 2012, has been running fine, but the door handle has cracked on the bottom. Imagine my shock when I found the cheapest price for a PLASTIC handle was well over $100. How can this be?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

We just purchased a new home and moved in about a month ago. The builder would only put in GE appliances despite our protests. We had purchased another new home 2 years before with a new GE water softener and GE reverse osmosis system. In the 2 years we were there, we had service people over on multiple occasions because they never worked correctly. The common message from all the service people was that GE makes junk. Corporate designed garbage designed to last only as long as the warranty. Dealing with GE was always a nightmare with long waits and customer service that worked banker’s hours. In other words, GE does not stand behind its garbage.

In any case, we just bought another new house and the signature series microwave (billed as the best they make) would start to run spontaneously and beep when nobody was near it. We had to shut off the power to it just to make sure our house did not burn down. We researched it on the web and determined the keypad was bad. We told them this when we called in the warranty. They took a week to send a technician who would only work banker’s hours and forced me to take a day off work. He gets here and tells me that he had just tested the microwave and learned the keypad was bad! Duh! He then proceeds to tell us that he did not bring a keypad and that he would have to order one that would be mailed to our house. We live on a new street which address is not recognized by FedEx so we told him he needed sent to himself. He refused. He assured us that we would get it.

So, Friday 3:00 pm rolls around and no part shows up so we call to find out what is going on. Mind you, I have already scheduled Monday off work at this point. They tell me that the part is back ordered and that they have no idea when they can ship it. Additionally, they have a wrong address for our house. We tell them the correct one and they tell us their computer does not recognize it. She cannot tell us when the part will be available. We tell her that this is unacceptable and that if they cannot replace the part, they need to replace the microwave. She says that is not her department and we have to call their customer department on Monday which is open from 8 to 5 pm Eastern time! We live on the West coast!!! That means they are only open until 2:00 my time and I have a job where I cannot make calls during the day. I can’t do it at lunch because the hold times are over an hour!!! I guess I have to get up at 5 or take the day off.

When I tell people in the know about this, they just laugh and say, “whaddya expect!?!, it's a GE!”. We have been about a month with a brand-new microwave that has never worked and GE is impossible to reach and has not even ordered the part!!! We are toying with the idea of just replacing the piece of junk with a product manufactured by a reputable company like Samsung or LG from a box store who will honor returns and take the home builder to small claims court. In any case DO NOT BUY GE PRODUCTS!!!

You have been warned. They make cheap junk that never works right and play games so they don't have to honor their warranties. This is a New York Corporation run by people who do not care about customers, honor, or integrity. They make backdoor deals with shady homebuilders to peddle their junk exclusively and you will have to replace it in two years. Learn from our mistake in buying GE. They bring junky crap to life. Garbage Electric is what they should go by.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Adora Microwave - door falling apart: This microwave is supposed to be installed above a range. The materials are not suited to this. The plastic door has disintegrated. We have got through 2 handles. I took the 2nd one off to replace it and the plastic that holds the glass in place just disintegrated onto the floor along with much other plastic parts. Why is the door plastic in the first place if they cannot make it from a heatproof material? Only 4 years old and we are going to have to junk it. When the first handle failed under warranty GE said that it was not covered as it is a "plastic part"! They finally covered it after a long conversation.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I have an above the range GE microwave oven, model no. JVM1750M1CC. It has been in service for about 9 years. About 6 months ago it stopped working with an F3 code. The code claims the control panel needs to be replaced. I found that the price of the control panel was over $100 and the service call was at least $100. A little shopping around and I found I can purchase a new oven for about the same price. As the control panel is located just above the largest burner where water is usually heated to a boil, it receives a lot of steam.

I visited a local church second hand store and purchased a countertop microwave and used it while I found a good solution. I decided to let it dry out for a few days and lo and behold it worked again. Unfortunately it only worked for a few hours, sometimes a full day and then I needed to let it dry out some more. I purchased an extension cord with an on/off switch and hooked it up. Now I can stop the electricity without having to climb up on a chair to pull the plug. Once I was set up with the easy on/off switch I could easily reset it. After about a week of resetting, it got the message. It has been working properly for over two weeks now with no failures.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

5 years ago I updated my complete kitchen with Adora LG appliances. To my dismay, the handle on the microwave (Model DVM1950SR1SS) began peeling like paper. Now I have a white plastic handle that’s supposed to be stainless steel as an eyesore in the middle of my kitchen. When I called GE replacement line, I was informed the handle was $164! My 5 year old kitchen is out of date! As far as I’m concerned this is a defective part and GE should replace it at no charge. I have been a faithful GE purchaser for many years. After this mishap, I will no longer recommend GE appliances or will I purchase them.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

We purchased a GE Profile Microwave with our GE Profile range in 2010. In 2016 we noticed an area on the bottom of the back wall that was peeling. It is in an area where nothing is rubbing or touching it. After taking photos and contacting GE customer service I was offered a discount on a replacement microwave. I expressed my concern that a new microwave might do the same thing--peel. I was told that the newer microwaves have a moisture resistant paint. The area that has peeled is much larger now than is shown in the attached photo taken in 2016. I expected my oven to last longer than 6 years; it's a GE Profile and we take excellent care of our appliances.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I purchased a full suite of GE Monogram Appliances about 5 years ago. All are fine except the microwave which was made in China. The back is rusting out, the inside is chipping at the door and moisture builds up in the door window. This progressive deterioration has taken place over the past 5 years. I paid $420 for the microwave plus $226 for the trim kit. Now, all GE wants to do is sell me a new unit and a new trim kit (will not fit old trim kit). I paid approximately $20,000 for the entire group. I bought GE because I trusted the name. I'm stuck with GE if I want to match the remaining appliances. There are only two people living in this house so there is only minimal usage. To further complicate things, there is no serial number on the tag.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Bought a GE model JVM6175EF1ES for replacement after our house caught on fire in early 2016, worked fine until 10-17. It then under-cooked the same amount of bacon I had been cooking (a paper plate with 3 strips on top of paper towels) since we got it, but it did burn 2 small holes clear through the bacon. I put another paper plate of bacon in for 2 minutes like I had been doing since it was new and it burned it so badly it caught fire. All that was left of the paper plate and bacon was charcoal and glowing embers. It filled the house with smoke and I hate to think what would have happened if I had not been close by while it cooked (I was out in the chicken coop).

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

We bought a top of the line GE microwave oven (model PEB7226DF1BB sn VA201160N) in 2014. It has now failed 5 times in 4 years - 2015, 2016, twice in 2017 & now 2018 - and the repairs have cost us more than the original price of this piece of junk. We bought it from a local dealer, KAM Appliances in Hyannis, MA, but had to resort to an independent repair service, because KAM was not very responsive. I know that I should have given up on it a long time ago, but in the past I always had good luck with GE appliances. Needless to say, I will never buy anything from GE again. I have learned that GE Appliances are now built by Haier, a Chinese company. No wonder they are junk.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

GE Profile Microwave/Convection Oven JVM1790WK, over the range unit, CAUGHT ON FIRE while microwaving water for coffee. One of the four prongs that holds the oven grid in place started flaming wildly and smoking after about one minute of microwaving. My whole kitchen has an acrid awful burning smell. This is my second unit for a small kitchen, and I will be lost without this. The first one I had the handle fell off. This one is too dangerous to use. These units cost $600!!! I cannot afford to replace one every few years. Maybe this model and brand is bad news?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I have had a few cheap microwaves but at this point in my life I wanted to buy a good quality microwave that would last. Well I bought a 200 dollar GE microwave in February. 3 months later it went out on me. I did hard and soft reset numerous times with no success. They offered me a discounted check to replace it and it would take 4-6s weeks to receive. Instead we returned to place of purchase and they gave us a floor model to replace it. All was well for 2 months when lo and behold this one started doing the same thing. No amount of resetting would make it run. It went out cooking corn on the cob. Why is this so hard to keep running? Their response this time was a goodwill rebate certificate to purchase only a GE microwave. Why in heavens name would I want another one? It only lasts a couple of months and who is to say the 3rd replacement will not be the same.

Original review: July 30, 2017

I purchased the unit just over a year ago and it started beeping one night with error "scroll speed" and then "key pad shorted." In the end to repair costs more than to replace, even though it is above stove mounted unit. Do not buy a GE Microwave. Especially model # JVM6172DF1WW.

Original review: July 11, 2017

We moved in a newly built home and resided in this home for three years. The house came equipped with a GE Microwave: Model: JNM1541DM5BB, Serial: ZZ 201867 L. While in the house the microwave came on by itself with flames coming from the center of the unit. The plastic in the center of the unit was on fire. Had I not been home at the time this took place, I would not have a home to live in today. A review of the construction of this product is needed. An investigation to the cause of this mishap is needed.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Built our house and had new GE Appliances. Oven is a GE Profile and the computer panel went out twice in the first 2 yrs. The profile microwave model PEB 7226 SF1SS IS NOW ONLY 3yrs old and not functioning. We rarely use the microwave. Will never buy GE anything in the future.

Original review: June 16, 2017

Purchased this from Home Dept in August of 2015. I started to notice about 3-4 month ago the handle of the door is starting to ripple. It's been getting progressively worse. I wrote to GE asking for a replacement. Their response: "The handle on the unit is definitely designed and tested to withstand normal use of the unit and the range below. If you regularly boil large quantities of liquid on that front burner or boil for long periods of time, the excess moisture and heat can weaken items above it."

I'm sorry, but 1) I do not boil large quantities of water and 2) This unit is designed to be mounted above a stove. And their "good will" response was: "Based on the information, I did some research because we do feel consideration is necessary in this situation and we would be happy to assist with the cost of a new handle. The full price of a new handle is $156.75, but we would be able to discount the price down to $47.74 plus shipping ($5.95) and tax, as a one time gesture of goodwill. I respectively requested they reconsider and send me the part and they denied my request. No more GE products for me!!!

Original review: June 3, 2017

I purchased a General Electric model peb7226df1ww in 2013. It lasted two years, then failed. I replaced it and two years later the replacement failed. At least GE microwaves are reliable in that aspect. You can count on them to fail. I am convinced GE installs a delayed kill switch on their microwaves to help their revenue stream. This was the last GE appliance I will ever purchase.

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GE has more than 100 years in the industry and provides a wide range of home appliances. The company believes in innovation and elegant design that transform a home into a modern, sleek and efficient place to live.

• Full selection: GE provides the full range of countertop, over the range and built-in microwaves.

• Multi-lingual capacity: Some GE microwaves are equipped with multilingual control panels and display both Spanish and English.

• Removable oven rack: Many models include a removable oven rack to lift the food off the bottom of the microwave to allow for more even heating.

• Many control features: Quick-function buttons are featured on several GE models including "Add 30 Seconds," "Child Lock," and "Auto Defrost."

• Combination ovens: GE manufactures a top-range line of combination microwave and full-sized convection ovens. They feature self-cleaning and glass touch controls.

• Special offers: There are several ways to save money on your GE purchase including claiming rebates and choosing on-sale items through the website. You can also win money back by writing a review of your appliance.

• Best for: Small and medium-sized commercial kitchens, small families and large families. Anyone creating meals for multiple people would enjoy this range.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs