2. Homeowners
  3. Microwaves

GE Microwave Ovens

GE Microwave Ovens
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.11/5

GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with a Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant, GE’s authorized provider of extended warranties. The plan covers parts and labor for appliance repairs for an extended period. Customers pick and choose which appliances or systems need to be covered.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

GE Microwave Ovens Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Microwave Ovens?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

The GE microwave that was installed in our new home (2018) stopped working in June 2020, after the nuclear reactor “blew up”. Which could have been a dangerous situation. I was told by Assurant Insurance Company that it was no longer covered by the 1 year insurance policy, and if I purchased a new policy for $241.00, they would repair it or replace it. After they discovered it was not repairable, they denied the ”replace it” part and reimbursed the money for the policy.

GE agreed to sell me a new microwave at a discounted price, which I agreed to. The replacement microwave was delivered damaged, in October 2020. After many calls and waiting hours on hold, service came out and said it was “not repairable“. Again, phone calls to GE Customer Relations and reexplaining the problem, I was told they did not have a microwave in stock to replace it. However, after further searching, one was found, and would be delivered.

On 10/23/20, I received a phone call from the freight company that the microwave was being delivered the following day, but they had the wrong address! it was a previous address. Where that address came from is a mystery as we never had GE appliances delivered to that address. The freight company was not authorized to change the address in the system, so another call to GE. I am still waiting for a new microwave! I can’t even begin to count the number of times I have called GE, waited on hold or call-back, waited for service, and been told I have the wrong case number. I have all new GE Profile appliances, all have had service for problems. I will NEVER buy another GE appliance. Their service department and Customer Relations department is disorganized and incompetent. GE appliance are not quality products.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

Our Profile over-the-range microwave failed after 2 years. (Warranty was for one year!) One day it suddenly died. The repairman ($100) said repeated twisting of the wire from the oven to the door (which contains all the electronics) is inevitable with opening and closing. The wire often breaks within its insulation: a bad design fault. No question of replacing the wire; we would have to order a new door, for nearly $400 plus $200 for installation, which requires 2 service technicians. This is more than the cost of a new OTR microwave. He advised us to get one with the controls beside, not in the door. Unfortunately GE is the only company that makes a microwave in the same colour as our range.

Get buying tips about Microwaves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 21, 2020

As a landlord I have about 20 GE microwaves. I have had 8 handles break off in the last few years including the one in my house with me pulling the door open. Standing straight in front of it, just pulling regularly. Replacement plastic handles - just two pieces of injection molded plastic - selling from other companies for as little as $10 are $130.00. $130.00! There is a clear design defect here and the company's solution to it is to charge $130 for the plastic replacement part. Someone should go to jail. Literally. Please include me in the class action lawsuit.

Original review: July 18, 2020

This review is related to the Monogram 2.2 Cu. Ft. Built-In Microwave Oven model #ZEB1227SLSS. The GE site: https://appliances.monogram.com/us/specs/ZEB1227SLSS indicates in two places that the built-in trim kit is included (and one place where it is listed as additional), yet GE has confirmed that in fact, the trim kit is an optional add-on with a $325 additional cost. Calls to GE's consumer line have been disappointing. Me: "Your website says it's included, and is in a section with other features that are in fact included but not additional fees"; GE: "We have confirmed that the trim kit costs extra". We have, in fact, purchased the oven and are awaiting its installation, and I have other experience with GE Monogram appliances so I expect this to operate well. But I cannot understand their reluctance to acknowledge this error on their site. Potential buyers, please beware of this issue.

Original review: July 11, 2020

We purchased our Adora over-the-stove microwave oven from Home Depot. The Adora brand is made exclusively for Home Depot and were sold on its special functions and value. Well now, 3 years later, this "exclusive" model's glass fogs up when we use it. There are only 2 of us living at home. We use it maybe 4 or 5 times a day. A microwave's typical lifetime is 9 to 10 years. Also, by the way, when we turn on the fan to highest, it sounds like an express train hurtling through our kitchen. Our dog had a heart attack and died the first day we operated it. No he didn't. We don't even have a dog. But you get the picture.

Original review: June 16, 2020

We built a new home in 8/19. Much to our dismay, the builder only offered GE appliances. We had a bad experience with a GE appliance in the past so we went with the most expensive offered, the Profile series. Nine months into our new home, the microwave push button to open the door broke (with food stuck inside). I was only able to schedule an appointment through an automated system. Days later, repairman breaks door trying to get food out. Parts were ordered and new date was set for one week later.

Day before that appointment, I got a call canceling my appointment due to the part being on backorder. The entire call took 57 minutes. New appointment was set for an additional week. Again, appointment canceled and part was ordered from third party. Third appointment was a repeat yet again (but without a call and with repairman showing up). The rep did say she would send $70 for us to buy a small microwave while waiting.

We are now at three weeks without our microwave being fixed and I have spent HOURS on hold trying to get to a resolution. Last representative asked why I even made an appointment if I didn't have the parts. What!! They have scheduled the appointments. I asked to talk to a supervisor but then was told it would be 24-48 hours before someone could call me back. The rep said this is the timeframe they "quote" for a callback but she didn't know when anyone would actually call. No idea how much longer we will have to wait-it seems we are at their mercy. When buying new appliances in the future, we will ask who services their warranty! Either way, we will never buy GE appliances again.

Original review: May 21, 2020

My GE microwave, has been running fine, but the door handle has cracked on the bottom. This is the second GE microwave that I have purchased in three years. They need to do a better job with the door handle. I will never buy another one.

Original review: April 30, 2020

I called to see if someone can help me figure out why my built in microwave is running but no heat. Apparently the customer service keeps insisting I need to schedule a service without offering any kind of help. Why do I have to pay for a service trip when I can fix it with the right part? Unlike other appliance they always have customer service helping to see and figure out what might be wrong to the appliance.

Original review: April 6, 2020

Purchased a newly built home in September 2018 with new GE Appliances installed. Within 18 months the GE Microwave will shut off or stops heating. I called GE company and they want to charge $99 to run diagnostics and additional charge for repair. This is outrageous. Model #JVM7195SK3SS.

Original review: March 21, 2020

In 2012 we purchased a GE microwave for around $500.00. It lasted with moderate use until 2017 at which point, it almost burned our house down due to malfunctions of internal parts. After many hours on the phone and several repair visits, GE agreed to replace it. The replacement lasted until March of 2020, at which point it started tripping our breaker. I took a half day off of work waiting on a repair technician. The technician came out and replaced a switch. Two hours after he left, the microwave stopped working. I called GE back and was given another repair appointment, again taking a half day off of work, I waited for the technician. He arrived and stated that the door of the microwave was causing it not to work and he ordered a new door.

I called GE and was given another repair appointment. Again taking a half day off of work, I waited for the technician. He arrived and replaced the door. That evening, we noticed that the internal light would not shut off when we closed the microwave door. Two days later the microwave started producing a burning smell whenever we used it.

I went out and purchased a $50.00 microwave from Walmart. This experience has been beyond what is reasonable for a customer to experience. I have received numerous automated emails from GE's consumer relations department from a GE consumer relations employee that is allegedly been responsible for my case. I have never actually spoken to this person even though I was advised numerous times that she would be calling me. As of this point, I plan on never purchasing another GE product nor can I in good conscience recommend to anybody that would inquire, purchasing a GE product. The customer service I received has been bad to say the least and the product even worse.

GE Washing Machines author review by ConsumerAffairs

GE has more than 100 years in the industry and provides a wide range of home appliances. The company believes in innovation and elegant design that transform a home into a modern, sleek and efficient place to live.

• Full selection: GE provides the full range of countertop, over the range and built-in microwaves.

• Multi-lingual capacity: Some GE microwaves are equipped with multilingual control panels and display both Spanish and English.

• Removable oven rack: Many models include a removable oven rack to lift the food off the bottom of the microwave to allow for more even heating.

• Many control features: Quick-function buttons are featured on several GE models including "Add 30 Seconds," "Child Lock," and "Auto Defrost."

• Combination ovens: GE manufactures a top-range line of combination microwave and full-sized convection ovens. They feature self-cleaning and glass touch controls.

• Special offers: There are several ways to save money on your GE purchase including claiming rebates and choosing on-sale items through the website. You can also win money back by writing a review of your appliance.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team