2. Homeowners
  3. Microwaves

GE Microwave Ovens

GE Microwave Ovens
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.11/5

GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with a Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant, GE’s authorized provider of extended warranties. The plan covers parts and labor for appliance repairs for an extended period. Customers pick and choose which appliances or systems need to be covered.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

GE Microwave Ovens Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Microwave Ovens?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: March 9, 2020

I purchased a newly built home which had all GE appliances in the kitchen. After 2 years and 5 months, the microwave no longer heats the food. I had a 3rd party appliance repairman come to do a diagnostic evaluation. He informed me that the magnetron has gone bad. To have this repaired would be the same price as purchasing a new microwave. He also informed me that the magnetron should never go bad in such a short amount of time. I contact GE and my warranty was for 2 year so the best they can offer is a $75 "good will certificate". What this means is I have to purchase a new microwave and send in proof of purchase and in 4-8 week, GE will send me a $75 rebate check.

I am disappointed in the GE product. Their products are now made in Asia (my microwave says made in Malaysia) for cheap labor and the quality has gone down. What is worse is that they do not stand by their product. The fact that something as serious as the magnetron went out in less than 3 years is a red flag that it was not assembled correctly. The microwave is listed at over $500. I would have been happy with GE even paying half but $75 will not even cover the cost for shipping and installation. I am very disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

Installed a new GE JVM3160RF3SS in Sept 2017 and just over 2 years later the control panel is malfunctioning and of course it's no longer under warranty. Costs about as much to get it fixed as to replace. Very disappointed with GE "assembled in China". I'm a property manager and if we can't rely on GE, we will find another company to give our business to.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

Wife started using the microwave. Within a minute she smelled something burning. She opened the door and a flame shot out. Thankfully she remained at the microwave as it was running. Could have been catastrophic if the microwave continued to run for another minute. There is a charred 2 inch section at a circular piece in the inside top of the microwave.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

My microwave is 2 years old and stopped working on Thanksgiving Day. Customer service was very responsive to send out a repair person. There was a minimum $108 charge plus and time spent. It turned out to be a loose wire inside the machine and I was charged another $50 for him to tighten it. Machines should go longer than 2 years without a service call and I will buy the extended on any other GE I purchase.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Renovated the kitchen and installed a new microwave. 2 adults in the house. First one lasted 4 1/2 years, too much to repair so bought another one. Because of the configuration of the cabinets we were limited to this dimension of microwave. Second microwave lasted 22 months, too expensive to repair. Now into our 3rd microwave. What has happened to quality products??? Everything now is chinese junk. So much for general electric formerly known for good quality, long lasting appliances.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I bought the GE oven and microwave combination. After a pie dripped on the oven bottom we did a 4 hour self clean. The bottom of the oven is stained and it does not wipe up. Also noticed the door is not sealed and it has marks between the glass. There are also all sorts of stains on the interior of the door. This is a new stove installed 5 months ago.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

We have a 2017 GE profile built on microwave. The microwave started shooting fire inside the microwave a year ago. GE fixed it. Last week the microwave started shootings fire inside the microwave again. This time it was much worse. The GE technician told me it was not fixable. I called GE customer relations and was told too bad because it’s not under warranty anymore. They offered a minimal discount on a new similar model. The attitudes of the customer care representative and supervisor took me by surprise. They were curt and told me, "Guess you should have gotten the extended warranty." When it comes time to replace my kitchen there will not be any GE products in it. GE does not stand behind their products. The tech told me there are issues with the profile microwave and he felt they would replace it. They did not replace it and were rude. I have been a loyal GE customer. Not anymore.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I brought our brand new home just over 1 year and 8 months ago with all new GE appliances. One of the GE Smart Built-In Double Wall Ovens, the bottom one which we never use, but the inner glass shattered randomly, very dangerous and they want us to pay them $100 for the inspector visit and then more for the par and service $325 for the replacement, the GE is disagreeing they had a defect on installations. That is an experience that we never repurchase GE brands, my friend had the same issue. They replaced in their house this way without warranty, however they disagreeing our oven had the defect on installation, lesson learned, never never buy the GE again!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I love my unit but the silver foil is peeling off the door handle. Not sure anyone else had this issue and any recommendations for fixing it would be appreciated! Other than that, the unit is great and does its job.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

Our builder installed our GE microwave Model: JVM7195SF1SS as part of our kitchen appliances. It worked fine for about 3 1/2 years. Then it stopped heating. It turns on and appears to work, but after inserting a cup of cold water and running it on high 10 minutes, we remove cold water. I looked into this and found that the magnetron (spelling?) tends to fail. Apparently, it's a known issue, based on the reviews. GE won't allow consumers to replace this and doesn't provide replacement parts. Getting it professionally repaired will cost more than the microwave is worth. GE sent me a certificate for $150 to replace it, but it will cost at least twice that to purchase a new unit and get it installed. Plus, we have to buy another GE. I don't want to end up in the same situation. So we didn't use the certificate.

GE Microwave Ovens Company Information