2. Homeowners

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Frigidaire Freezers Reviews

Original review: June 26, 2020

My advice: if offered a choice of a Frigidaire or some other brand, choose the other brand. We bought a brand new upright freezer on June 23 from a store that we have been doing business with for over 15 years. Had it delivered, and when plugged in, the freezer lights came on, you could hear the fan working, but it never got cold to temp of a refrigerator, much less to the freezing point.

Called the toll free number, got treated to a mentally challenged robot who was programmed to understand every language except English. Finally got put on hold for 32 minutes, only to be told by a young lady that this was not the number to call for the freezers, I needed to call the Electrolux toll free. I asked her if she was certain, and she got snotty with me. By the tone of her voice, I am guessing she marched a lot the past month with her BLM buddies. I surmise she doesn't like people of the ** persuasion. I called the number she gave me, which was the wrong number for the wrong product line. Big surprise there. Tried calling a second time and the robot put me on hold, then disconnected me. Tried three more times with the same result..

Went to the Frigidaire site and got on the live chat. Finally, getting somewhere! She arranged for a repairman to come to the house this morning (June 26). The guy calls and tell me that the unit has parts that are under recall, and most likely this is the problem. I asked if he was coming out to make CERTAIN that this was the issue, and he got rude with me, told me to shut up, that he had already ordered the parts and that he knew what he was talking about and I didn't. Asked him how long it would take for parts and he told me anywhere from two weeks to over a month, it depends on how far down the list his claim was.

I called the store we bought it from, and the manager called his warehouse to see if any recalls had been issued on this freezer model. None had been issued, According to the service person they hired to come out and repair the unit (who refused to come out and perform a diagnostic to ensure that this was indeed the problem), Frigidaire released this model for sale knowing it was defective, knowing that people would lose their groceries to spoilage when they put them in the freezer, and knowing that getting qualified customer service was going to be next to impossible.

Original review: May 24, 2020

Bought a Frigidaire 22 cuft upright freezer from Home Depot. It was delivered May 7, 2020. It stopped freezing on the top 2 shelves and the door on May 10, 2020. Called Home Depot. They said call Frigidaire. It took me 2 days to finally get to a person at Frigidaire. I told them the freezer was 3 days old when it failed and the should send me another one. Instead they sent a repairman from Goodman on the May 14, 2020. He got it working. The Freezer failed again on May 17. Called Goodman directly; they said they could not return to “repair that piece of junk” without a work order from Frigidaire.

Numerous calls to Frigidaire. Finally answered. I told them about the comment from Goodman, but they sent Goodman back with orders to call Frigidaire technician May 21. The Frigidaire technician had Goodman repairman to order 5 or 6 replacement parts that may not be in until May 28. This was a brand new freezer that has only worked 5 days since it was delivered on May 7. Not one time was I ask about or compensated for the food I lost. DON’T BUY Frigidaire. Their service is poor and their products are worse.

Get buying tips about Freezers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 4, 2020

***I wish I had read all of the negative reviews on Home Depot's website prior to purchasing this freezer. I believe them all to be true from what I have witnessed. In short: 1) Poor product 2) Terrible customer service. So here is what happened in my case. I purchased this freezer online from Home Depot. This unit failed within 3 days of receiving it. It stopped cooling. I contacted Home Depot, they directed me to contact Frigidaire support. Frigidaire sent out a technician; he said the control board is dead and it will take 3 to 10 business days to get the part.

I contacted Frigidaire again and asked them to swap the unit since it is brand new (3 days old). The customer service rep. told me that since it is repairable, they will not swap the unit. I asked if he could at least try to ship the necessary part overnight so my food won't all go bad. After checking, he determined that that part was too new and not available as a replacement part and would have to replace the freezer. Wow, that was what I had originally asked for; However, it will take two days for them to determine what to do -- hmm.

I asked if they could let me borrow a freezer until my new freezer is repaired or replaced so all of my food will not go bad. He said, "We do not warranty the food, only the freezer." So I'm out of luck. At that point I gave up. What really worries me is that they send a new freezer, I fill it up, and it breaks down leaving me with another chest full of spoiled food. I am also upset with Home Depot, they should back the products they sell, not pawn me off to the manufacturer. I tried to submit this review on the Home Depot website, but they rejected it. DO NOT BUY a Frigidaire, their customer service is terrible and this product is just junk!

Original review: March 10, 2020

8/20/18 - Purchased Frigidaire Upright Freezer at NEBRASKA FURNITURE MAR. June 2019- Compressor failed - $600.00 food lost. March 2020 - Compressor failed again - $500.00 food lost. MY EXPERIENCE IS NOT UNCOMMON! After the 1st failure, I did some research and learned how many problems people have with all Frigidaire products. The really bad thing is NEBRASKA FURNITURE MART knows about the problems but continues to sell them to their customers. I contacted top mgmt at Electroxlux (parent company) and their 'consumer advocate' Rita was hateful and rude. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE from Frigidaire. I would avoid any Electrolux (parent company) including GE, SAMSUNG, WHIRLPOOL, FRIGIDAIRE and ELECTROLUX.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

Bought Frigidaire upright freezer 2017. Not even 3 years old. Stopped freezing! Just lost at least $400 dollars in groceries. Extremely disappointed with the lifespan of this item. Will not purchase this brand again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frigidaire?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I bought a freezer along with several other Frigidaire appliances. They sent me something in the mail to buy extended warranties which I did cost me 75. Dollars the check was cashed. The freezer stopped working. The compressor was faulty (the main working component). They have no record of my warranty purchase. They agree it is a faulty part they used when making the unit and don't care. I have lost food, freezer, 75 dollars for a bogus extended waranty. Buyer beware.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

It has been a nightmare from day one, delivered on 8/12/2019 ... both in suffering from compressor's constant running loud noise and dealing with Karl's Appliance & Frigidaire customer services. Karl's said it's not responsible for sold and delivered me a defect appliance. Told me to deal with manufacturer directly:"Frigidaire made a bad product, not us. You need to deal with them."

Calling Frigidaire's customer service hotline is an aggravating experience. Frigidaire gave me run-arounds: at first, told me to go back the store that sold me the freezer and hung up on me; I called again, then it has kept sending 3rd party repair services for "evaluation". So far I have had 5 such evaluation service appointments, each appointment with a waiting timeframe of 8am-5pm. Then only 2 times when service guys shown up. 1st time, the guy told me to "Send it back. There is nothing I can do." 2nd time, another guy from the same service told me the compressor, fan and digital control all bad and need to be replaced. I told Karl's and Frigidaire that I don't want repair/replace. I want a replacement of a freezer that is a good one. So far neither Karl's nor Frigidaire is responding. The freezer nightmare is continuing...

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I bought an upright freezer in part 2017. By November 2018 it stopped freezing, I called the store and they informed me that it was under warranty and they will send someone to fix it. Here we are 10 months later with the same problem. I called PC Richards, they told me the warranty is up and I had to call Frigidaire. I called and I was told that they cannot help me because I do not have the extended warranty.

They referred an outside repair shop that is charging me $69.99 just to come and diagnose the problem. I asked Frigidaire why they cannot assist with the product and they said I have no warranty, even though it is a fault of the appliance. They will not assist because when purchased I did not pay for extended warranty. Their only offer is to give me 50% off the parts. I am extremely disgusted with the product and the service, it is not costume jewelry, even cars have better lemon laws, why is it that major appliances do not? So even though it is a fault of the manufacturer I have to go and spend another $400 within 1 1/2 year for another major appliance. I will never purchase another Frigidaire and I will definitely encourage anyone I can not to also.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

Ordered a freezer from Home Depot on July 1st. Received it dead on July 10th. Had to wait for a replacement until July 18th. This freezer was dented. Frigidaire ships their appliances to the contracted delivery company, as Home Depot does not have a warehouse. Home Depot told me to call Frigidaire for a little credit. Frigidaire refused to provide any sort of credit. Do not order appliances from Home Depot.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

Purchased the Frigidaire upright 16.6 freezer on December 9/2016. Bought a 5 year extended warranty (luckily). It failed first time on December 23/2017 full of Christmas baking and due to the holidays it wasn’t repaired for a month. Tech said it was the cycling switch and also commented they always go. It's their most common problem. Well last night it quit working for the second time August 1/2019 again full of food and all spoiled. Made a mistake buying another Frigidaire product. Have had nothing but issues with every product I’ve ever bought of theirs. Non of their products have lasted more than 5 years right from the highest quality washer/dryer to the electric range, fridge, freezer, etc etc. Buyer beware. Check with their affiliated companies too before you buy. Their other names are made with exactly the same parts. (Maytag, Frigidaire, Whirlpool, Amana, GE, etc etc). Do your research people.

Frigidaire author review by Jonathan Trout

Frigidaire makes specialty appliances for your kitchen and laundry room and for home comfort (air conditioners, dehumidifiers and air purifiers). In addition to its freezer/fridge combo models, it makes 30 models of chest and upright freezers that come in three collections: Frigidaire Professional, Frigidaire Gallery and Frigidaire.

• Frigidaire collection: The Frigidaire collection features 26 models of upright and chest freezers ranging in capacity from around 5 to 21 cubic feet. They include features like SpaceWise organization, a system with adjustable dividers and baskets with color-coordinated clips. They also have ArticLock walls which keep food frozen for over two days in the event of a power outage. Freezers in the Frigidaire collection range from $269 to $989.

• Frigidaire Gallery collection: The Gallery collection includes one upright freezer and two models of freezer/refrigeration combos. The upright freezer has a capacity of 19 cubic feet and costs $1,799. It comes with a smudge-proof stainless steel finish and is over 24 percent more energy efficient than older Frigidaire models.

• Frigidaire Professional collection: The Professional collection includes one upright freezer that is 19 cubic feet in capacity. It has a SpacePro shelving system that lets you adjust and remove bins, shelves and storage baskets. It features automatic alerts that let you know if the temperature rises, the power goes out or the door is left open. The Professional upright freezer costs $2,099.

• PureAir Ultra: Some upright and chest freezers come with PureAir Ultrafiltration systems that remove up to seven times more odor than baking soda. This helps your food taste fresh longer.

• Soft-Freeze Zone: If your model of Frigidaire has a Soft-Freeze Zone, it will keep things like ice cream, butter and bread soft and ready to eat.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team