2. Homeowners
  3. Closet Organizers

2.8/5 (21 ratings)

About ClosetMaid

ClosetMaid Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ClosetMaid?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ClosetMaid?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

I ordered on Nov 30th 2020. Website would not take discount code so had to call in order. On Dec 10th I requested an order shipping update as I had not heard from ClosetMaid. I received a response saying orders take two weeks to ship. Today on the 11th I just received an email saying they canceled my order. While on the website reordering I found list prices had increased on one of my ordered items. Decided to research and read reviews and now have decided not to reorder. They have problems I don't need. Lol.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

The entire thing fell apart as I was constructing it. Cams don't meet, bolts not long enough, leg tacks came open, and legs fell off while hammering back on. It was a waste of $100! Don't waste money!

Get buying tips about Closet Organizers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

Just received 400+ lb shipment of my reach-in “premier” closet. When ordering, I used the design tool, entering the closet dimensions... My measurements were absolutely accurate. Based on the submitted dimensions, ClosetMaid offered several options and I chose one. Total cost: over $1400. It took 2 hours just to unbox the components. I have now assembled the cabinet frame and put it in place. There is no way that the unit as pictured will fit in the space— not even close! I just went back to the design tool just to make sure I entered the correct dimensions. I did. I remeasured and resubmitted the dimensions and the program generated the same options.

I have not yet tried contacting ClosetMaid about the issue. Clearly, the design tool generates pictures that have absolutely no connection to reality. I am definitely not making a mistake. The design offered would need at least another 18” to fit minimally (over 20% more space than I have)... And that would still come far short of the design as pictured by ClosetMaid. What a huge disappointment this is. How can this company do something this incompetent?... So much time and energy wasted. Ugggh.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

Product is off gasing. Contacted ClosetMaid to inquire on timeline for off gasing and whether I need to seal pressed board. Company does not reply and my five units are now in my garage and possibly on the way to curb. Poor customer service. Based on lack of response, I am now concerned that shelves are not safe. Purchased same product 5 years ago with no off gasing issues.

Original review: March 27, 2020

Over the years, I accumulated some hang track and standards to hang from it. I went to Home Depot and bought more standards and shelf brackets a few years ago and when I tried to use new standards, they didn't fit the track and the difference was very slight, but made each bracket that I inserted into it about a quarter inch different in elevation, so it was useless. I had to buy all new standards. This year, I went to purchase more hang track, standards and brackets and shelving to extend my shelves all the way across my garage. The new hang track and standards didn't match the last ones or even the first ones, so I have THREE DIFFERENT designs, none of which work with any of the others.

Now I'm hundreds of dollars deeper in debt and only after several runs to Home Depot to swap out parts, find out they didn't have any 16" shelves in stock and would only be able to order six 12' X 16" shelves as a minimum when I only needed four, and so I had to buy all new 12 X 20" shelves and brackets that were in stock and return the 16" brackets and two 6' X 16" shelves that I had purchased to add to my existing 6' X 16" shelves.

Long story short, if I had to do it all over again, I would build wooden shelves for that wall like I'm now doing to the rest of the garage and not give a penny to Closetmaid, which seems to just want to rip off its customers by changing design just enough to frustrate and complicate for no apparent reason other than to force people to purchase all new hardware. Never, ever again!

Original review: May 11, 2019

These clips simply do NOT work and ClosetMaid refuses to stand behind its merchandise. The design is extremely poor. An inordinate amount of strength is needed to get the clips onto the shelves and then they pop out. Additionally, if you can get the clips on the shelf, there is just enough space for the clips to fit into the spaces between the wires with no wiggle room of even an 1/18th of an inch to play.

I have had contact with the company through a phone conversation and via email. During the first contact, I had to educate the representatives about what and how the products were supposed to be used. During the second contact I got apologies and nothing else. I have tried every suggestion made, both from the commentators on the product and company representatives. My lifestyle changed and I planned to install 15 simple shelves as opposed to the installation of different configurations which I easily did years ago.

I am on my 4th attempt to rectify this problem as I have no other choice, but honestly, I am out of ideas. I have no more money to invest in this failed project (approximately $400), I am tired of living out of boxes (well over a month), re-purchasing more hardware, re-plastering/re-painting, dealing with a company that doesn’t care about its consumers, etc. At this point, I have a bag full of used clips and shelving with the rubberized covering ripped off because, these clips do NOT fit. This has been a frustrating and extremely inconvenient experience with no apparent resolution. The bottom line is that the clips do NOT work and the company does NOT stand behind its product.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I was unable to fit the wire of the shelving into any of the clips once mounted. I tried to attach one to a shelf before nailing the bracket into the wall and was unable to even then, when I could apply much more force. I wound up removing the five brackets from the wall and repairing the damage before going down to a local hardware store and buying larger brackets. Poor design. Ditto for the brackets (shouldn't the wire rest in the trench rather than the trench rest on top of the wire??) Very frustrated overall.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

My name is Jeff and I can be reached at **. Before you spend nearly $1,000 for a kit that will be shipped halfway across the country to you AND surely be received damaged, do yourself a favor and go elsewhere. I addressed the shipping issue BEFORE I purchased the product with ClosetMaid customer service because my research uncovered the known shipping issue. I was assured by Alene that "extra care" would be taken in packing/shipping my kit to me in FL and that it would be coming from ClosetMaid headquarters in FL. Guess what? It shipped to FL from PA and two crucial frame components were cracked. I had flown to a condo in FL specifically to assemble the kit and install it in a closet.

I could get no assistance from customer service and finally had to elevate a dispute to PayPal wherein ClosetMaid arrogantly ignored PayPal's inquiry as well as my inquiries. PayPal reimbursed me $300 of the $800 charged me for the kit by ClosetMaid. To be fair, the assembled product is attractive. The customer service, shipping and deceptive customer service practices though make the ClosetMaid product a poor choice. Look elsewhere.

As an attorney, I fully understand defamation and libel. I also understand truth as an absolute defense. And save yourself a bunch of time by avoiding the PayPal provided e-mail address at ClosetMaid: **. This person, if she even exists, is far too busy to ever respond to someone like me. Even after I contacted her AFTER PayPal refunded me the $300 and I informed her that I would be doing what I am doing right now. Posting truthful information about a horrific experience I had with ClosetMaid. The bottom line is that ClosetMaid offers a useful product and negates that usefulness by ignoring inadequate shipping methods and packaging. You can't package an 84" piece of 1/4" Melamine board between a flimsy piece of styrofoam and cardboard, ship it halfway across the country and expect it to arrive intact. It won't and it did not for me.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

I enjoyed customizing it. It was easy to customize with my taste. I recommend customizing it to fit your closet and space correctly. I loved all the bins and places to put stuff. Very easy to set up. I enjoyed reading the instructions. My instructions include pics to show you what to do. The price for this was awesome. I got in on calacence at a local store and it was great price. I would pay full price for this product. I have bought 2 since then. I have had it for 2 years now. I have also bought 2 more. It last for awhile and they always look brand new even though they are not. I am sure they will last at least 5 or 10 years.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

ClosetMaid shelving offers a lot of different ways to customize my closet organization. My husband who has very little handiwork experience did an excellent job installing them in all of our closets. These have been extremely high quality and were very easy to install for my husband who has very little handiwork experience. We have been very pleased with how long these have lasted for us. These weren't the cheapest shelving at the store, but not the most expensive either. My husband had gotten recommendations to use ClosetMaid from a friend who does construction and we have been highly impressed with them. We purchased our Closet Maid shelving when we bought our home 10 years ago and they are still working and looking just like new! I would highly recommend Closet Maid products to any of our friends.

ClosetMaid author review by Jessica Render

ClosetMaid was founded in Delray Beach, Fla. in 1965. They are currently based in Ocala, Fla., and their products are available nationally at home improvement stores, online and at ClosetMaid authorized dealers.

• Online design tool: Design the closet of your dreams without leaving your couch by using ClosetMaid’s online design tool. Simply select the room you need help organizing, enter dimensions and choose your favorite material to see your design options.

• Find a professional installer or dealer: There’s good news if you aren’t ready to tackle your closet organization on your own. Find a professional installer or ClosetMaid dealer near you who can help you design a solution that will work for your space and budget. Simply fill out a short form on ClosetMaid’s website to get started.

• Installation resources: Choosing the DIY route for your ClosetMaid storage solution doesn’t mean you’re completely on your own. Download instruction sheets, how-to guides and videos from ClosetMaid’s website so you can master your DIY project.

• Shop online: It’s easy to browse and buy storage solutions from ClosetMaid’s online shopping center. Shipping generally takes 7-10 business days.

• Planning ideas and tips: Learn the best strategies for tackling a closet organization project by reading ClosetMaid’s planning tips. You can also find great ideas for every room in the house by visiting ClosetMaid’s “Get Ideas” page on their website.

by Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

ClosetMaid Company Information