4.11/5
  • 1 star
Based on 883 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Custom Closets, Garage Cabinets, Home Offices, Wall Beds, Pantries, Laundries, Wall Units, Hobby Rooms, Media Centers, Garage Flooring and more...

Organize your entire home with Closet World. Our large selection of finishes, colors, and accessories help you achieve total home organization that is both functional and appealing. We offer unique designs for every room including closets, pantries, garages, home offices and laundry rooms along with a selection of wall beds and flooring to complement your home.

Serving California & Nevada

Fully Insured (GCL/WC) Bonded (CB/PB) Lic CA #631369, #767419, NV #51301

Closet World Video
Closet World Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 9, 2017

1167 Closet World Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Closet World installed closets in the garage and the insides of the closets in my kid’s bedroom. They were half the price as compared to other closet companies. The designer was fine and the installation was very quick and efficient. But what's not good about them was their followup. I didn’t realize the gap between the shelves would be so thick so I’ve ordered extra shelves and I have not received them yet. I haven't even received any confirmation that they got my paperwork back. I followed up with an email, but have not heard anything as well. But other than that, I'd recommend them.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I saw Closet World’s ad and it looked better than a 'do it yourself' and was going to be nice. I had a full double-sided white closet installed. My interactions with the designer and installer went very well, and they were both good salespeople. The installers were supposed to completely back the whole wall and put a fake wall up but they didn't do that, but they are coming to do it tomorrow.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I had a very good experience with Closet World. They had a special and it was a reasonable price, so a couple of months ago, we had them come and do an estimate. Then we had them install a made to order garage pantry. The designer did the measuring and we talked about what we needed. She was very helpful and suggested some things as far as the width of the closet and that we may want to consider doing less because it was quite a bit. However, we went ahead and did everything and were pleased. The installation went smoothly and they finished on time. I talked to them about how they were doing, how long they were going to take, and how the setup was going to go. Overall, things were done well and I would recommend Closet World.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I knew about Closet World from one of their flyers that came in. They had some 50% or 40% discount so I reached out to them. I got a closet system installed in the master bedroom. It has about eight hanging areas, a couple of drawers and a laundry basket, and I like it. The designer was excellent. She was very helpful and insightful. It looked like she's been doing it for a long time. And she shared her experience with the company too. She was very pleasant, easy to work with and had good ideas. We liked her a lot. The installer was also a very nice guy. I had to help him install the laundry basket because he couldn't figure that out. It's the first time he's done one of those. He wasn't as smooth on the installation as we were on the sales part, but everything's working fine.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I've used Closet World in three different houses, one after the other three years ago. The newest model of wood they have is beautiful for a walk-in closet and I had two closets installed recently, for the master bedroom and the second bedroom. They gave me a good deal. I told them the price I wanted and they reduced it for me. The salesman was a very good man and he gave me different payouts. The installers were very nice people as well. They were very careful on the walls and there wasn't too much mess, plus they cleaned after themselves. One door was damaged but they fixed it the same week. Other than that, everything was perfect and I would use them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Closet World?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I had Closet World do the inside of the closets, drawers, and a place to hang stuff. I didn't want to go to Ikea quality and I didn't want to go super high-end quality. I just wanted something in the middle, and based on what I looked at, it was what Closet World was offering. My experience, for the most part, has been good. There were misunderstandings that came from the beginning in regards to measurements and what I needed and what they did, but it was corrected and it's been okay. The installer was very quiet and he was on-time and the installation was as scheduled. The Closet World designer was very helpful. She took into consideration my concerns and what I wanted. But I should have paid better attention to the drawings. The placement of what I wanted was fine but some of the cubbies that I ordered were not deep enough.

I'm not good at looking at numbers and plans and the depth of my storage was not very well explained, and when I called, they told me it was what is in my contract. And I probably was not paying attention, so I'm not going to push all the responsibility on them. The only thing is the company didn't do anything and told me that it was what I ordered and for me to have the cubbies that I wanted, it's going to cost me more. So they will have to come back and do it.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

We’ve used Closet World in my home about 18 years ago when we had the master bedroom closet reorganized. Then we converted a bedroom into an office and they provided the two desks, cabinetry, a wonderful place where we have a coffee machine and a pull-out deal for the color copier and scanner. The work was well done and we’re happy with the installation. The price was reasonable at the time and the workmanship has held up to 18 years of experience. So now, we wanted to reorganize the closet in the guest bedroom and in the office and I didn't even think about anybody else. We called Closet World and one of their managers, Amy, was one block away from us so she came right over and helped us with the design. We kept the same white design and she also gave us a very good price for two closets combined. The process was straightforward.

The installation took place three weeks after we completed the order which was a good timing but there was a little mix-up, which is more of my fault because I'm careless in reading my voicemail and I didn’t see the confirmation. Everything worked out fine. The men who installed were nice, clean, courteous and respectful. They did the installation of the two closets in a little over three hours. It was a great experience. We're happy and we're going to make some modifications in one of the closets to get more shelves for shoes. We'll call Amy when it's time for that. Although, we can do that installation ourselves and it's the matter of putting in more shelves and moving one other thing around.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I had a basic white melamine closet installed in the master bedroom. It's mostly drawers, shelving, and hanging space. Working with the designer was interesting. The designer seemed knowledgeable at the time. However he kept trying to market me, for lack of a better term. And when I asked him to make a design he asks, "You want me to design it right now?" I wasn't going to sign a contract for something that I haven't seen.

The design seemed fine. Unfortunately it just didn't work out that way. He came up with the design and we agreed on the price. He ordered the materials and we got a delivery date. When they came to install the first time the installers re-measured to make sure that everything was going to fit correctly. The installer said that the measurements are incorrect and he's not going to be able to do the job that day. He then called his boss and said that there's a big issue. Since there were windows in my closet the shelving would have ended up in the middle of the window. The installer re-measured, went back and had the materials re-done. They came out to install the second time but there was still an issue with one wall. They ended up calling their boss again and he sent over two more installers that day.

There were three installers here and they installed two walls of the closet but they couldn't finish the third wall. It was measured wrong again. The whole thing took two months. It was a nightmare. They got it right the third time. When the third installer came he said he didn't understand why they did it the way they did but he made it work. It came out okay in the end. One of the installers mentioned to me that there are 12 inch and 16 inch shelving. That had never come up with the original designer. He told me that based on what I talked about it probably should have been 16. But since there were so many other issues I didn't want to start changing things and then fighting about the costs.

They knew that this was a big mix up. Even the drawers that were installed were really larger than I anticipated. Plus they wouldn't roll right on the ball bearings. One of the supervisors had called me to follow up and told me they were coming out to fix all those things. I was also asked if there were anything thing else they need to take care of. I mentioned the drawers to him and he offered to change it for a nominal fee.

I went ahead and had the rollers upgraded. It was somewhat disappointing that after spending hours and hours waiting for people to come and install things, they still wanted to charge me to fix the rollers. They had the best price I could find and all the people that I dealt with were very pleasant. However I wouldn't necessarily recommend them. In hindsight their designer wasn't experienced. Although he said that he's been doing things for 10 years it's truly hard to believe that.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Closet World gave us a decent price, and we felt comfortable with the designer that came over. She was very informative, helpful, and my wife and I felt very comfortable with what she was saying. We had two closets installed and we added a couple of drawers. We chose a standard closet. Nothing extraordinary, but just something from the catalogs that we saw. With our measurements, we were able to distinguish what we could sit in that space and the designer was very good with that. Some gentlemen came and installed the closets in a timely fashion. They're very respectful of our home and very kind overall. I'll recommend Closet World.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I had Closet World do my master bedroom closet and had a good experience. The designer was good and I liked her personality. The installer who came to put everything together was great all the way around. He explained what he as doing and the parts that he had. I'm going to call them again to get an estimate on my middle closet. I'd recommend them to friends.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Our contractor said Closet World's stuff is sturdier than California Closets' and the shelves are thicker and everything is stronger, so that’s what we did. The designer was responsive and the guy who supervised the installers was really good and very on top of it. Also, the installers were excellent and they did exactly what they were supposed to.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Closet World had a special deal going on and my daughter’s bedroom closet broke. I decided to find out how much it would cost to do her closet and the price was good and affordable for me. The designer was very helpful. He drew what the shelving was going to look like and it was fine with me. The installer came, did the job, took all the garbage out and it was clean cut. Closet World did a good job and it was smooth and easy. I had a great experience and I'm satisfied.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Closet World is a good and very responsive company with good products. Initially, I looked up what they were offering and what it was that I needed, and they were offering special discounts at the time so we called and discussed it with one of the sales reps. There was a bit of hiccup with the designers at the beginning but finally, we got through it. At the end of the day, they did a good job. The installation went very well too, and it only took them one day. We had two large sets and two three-double door cabinets installed in the garage and we're very happy with them. A month ago, we had some doors break so we called the service department and they scheduled somebody to come in and replace it for us. Everything went very smoothly so it was good.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

The designer was good and knew what he was doing. He played out what he thought would look good in my closet. We did the shelf with the hangers and then the one where we can put long dresses. There were four shelves that were open where I can adjust them for shoes. So I got two rows, and the first was for shoes and then I got open shelves on the other side that I used for shorts and workout clothes. The design worked out really well because I really liked it. The installation job was done correctly the first time. I really like Closet World and I would recommend them.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I chose Closet World to install a closet organizer in our master bedroom due to their materials and price. Their designer was pretty knowledgeable and the installer was professional. The installation went fine but they missed a day. It was well into our scheduled appointment before they let us know they weren't showing up. They came first thing the next day and completed the job in just a few hours. But there was some damage on some of the pieces so they had to replace them and it worked okay.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

We decided to go with Closet World, after receiving a few other quotes from other closet companies. But I guess that's what you get for going with the cheapest. The designer was great, but starting with the installation process, then it just went down from there. Closet is all at an angle and not straight. The installers covered our air vent in the closet, the way they installed the closet corners (they cannot be used)... they didn't pay attention to small details. It is all a mess!!! Then from there... customer service is even worst!!! They don't even care to follow up with you, they don't care about the job their installers did! Just awful! I am making a complaint about them to BBB and Contractors State License Board. It's just that bad!!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Closet World came out and did a bid for me, and then, they negotiated a price that was within my budget. So, I had them install a laundry room cabinet. Their designer knew her business. She knew exactly the measurements and we talked through what my goals were and what I was looking for, and she did great! The installer did a really good job but it was his second job of the day and he didn’t get here until later in the afternoon. He was here for a really long time and didn’t get out of here until almost 8:00 at night. It wasn't his fault that somebody booked him two jobs that day, but it was an inconvenience to me because I had to get up really early to go to work. The installation was good and the cabinet looks really great, and although, there was like a little chip off one of the ends of the laminate, everybody that’s seen the job has really liked it.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

The hallway closet installed for me by Closet World was good. My interaction with their designer was quick and to the point that I needed. The installation was also good. My experience with Closet World was excellent.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Because I had those weekly flyers, Closet World was the first one I thought of to do our master bedroom closet. They came out and estimated. The design process didn't take long and the consultation went very well with the designer. I told her what I wanted so she finalized it and she was very knowledgeable. The consultation also went really fast to the point where I had to call her back and tell her I needed something to be put for ties for my husband and she arranged it. That was the only contact I had with her. She also said I would be hearing from another person who was sending the folks out to install the materials.

The two gentleman who came in and installed the materials were excellent and very helpful. Out of all the people I talked to, those two were the best. They went out of their way to accommodate me if I needed something more or changed. They made shelves, but they also gave me the opportunity if I wanted to change that so I can put more clothes and hang them. The only reason I would not use Closet World again is because their charge was too expensive, but the installation crew was wonderful.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I moved into a new home and while I was there, I got flyers about Closet World doing custom closets. I was looking to get custom closets done and was talking to my friend. But when I got my house, I did not have a walk-in closet. I needed middle sliding doors and Closet World was the only one who was offering me that. There were other companies also, but they were not reliable. They said that they don't do that work and that they'll have to hire somebody else to do it. I said, "Closet World has done this before and you all do this professionally, let me just go with who does everything."

Closet World did my master closet and my designer was really good. When she came in, she sounded very experienced. I didn't want a white closet and they were offering me a good offer for the wood grain finish for my closet. So, I said "Why not go for wood grain finish? And it would look prettier." She was open to suggestions but since this was my first time, I totally relied on her and her expertise. She gave me a design but after the closet was installed, I thought that function-wise, if I would have made other decisions, it would have worked better. Now that I use the closet, I feel that we did not talk very deeply about what I wanted.

I was in the middle of shopping for my bed and other stuff for my house so I thought I would match my wood grain to my bed frame. I finalized the bed and saw the pictures in the manual that they gave us. From that, I selected a wood grain finish. When my designer came in, they were giving me a good offer for the wood grain finish for my closet but what came in was totally different from what I had selected so I was a little disappointed. I went back and forth with my designer and the reinstalling manager. It was an expensive closet and was really pretty but I had to redesign my whole bedroom all over again. And they were not helping me out in any way.

It was really frustrating. The designer told me that because of this mishap, they were going to credit me back some amount because this did not go the way we wanted it to go. But then when I raised that issue with the manager, he said that the designer does not have any right to say all that. I said, "See my closet is already here, you have done a good job. I'm not saying that the closet is not good but it's just not what I needed, what I as a customer had asked for." That was a little hitch in the whole thing and I was not happy with that.

The first installation happened. The repairing person came in and said that the first man did not do a good job with the dresser and the sliders that's why it was not functional. There were gliders in the drawers and because of that, it became so heavy that I could not pull the drawers out. Somebody else had to come in and I requested for those things wherein I just push it and it closes on its own. When they got that, it seemed like the first installer had broken something. The measurements were not right and there was not enough space. So the second person who came in here fixed everything and made it functional. The closet in itself looks really good and I would surely recommend Closet World to my friends, but I would warn them to be very aware of what design and what wood grain finish they are going for.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I had Closet World install a basic melamine walk-in closet. I liked their pricing. I got estimates from other companies and Closet World was cheaper. Their designer was nice and the installation was good. It has a few flaws that I probably should address. There was cracked drawer and they put too many holes in it and patched it with some little weird stickers.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

The Closet World designer came and measured for the installation of a closet in the master bedroom. She did some drawings, gave some suggestions and we exchanged some ideas together. We came up with a nice design and we agreed. She gave me a price and a bit of a discount. We accepted and I gave them a deposit. However, it took almost a month to bring the closets for installation. Other than that, the installation was very good and it was fast. They did it in three hours. We like the closet's design and the quality is nice.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

The designer that Closet World sent to me was excellent. Her work took about an hour and we talked about what my needs were and what type of material I wanted to use. We then went over the colors available and she made some suggestions. And their price was good. The installers showed up promptly, but they unfortunately had the wrong color. I chose an antique white melamine and what they had was white melamine. My choices were to have them take it all back and have it re-cut because everything is custom-made or they offered me a discount if I wanted to go with the white, which I did. The system works good, and it's easy to reformat because I moved my top bars up to the highest one so it fits stuff a little better. Though I did have a misunderstanding at the beginning. I thought there was a couple of inches underneath the bottom when there was only an inch, but that's negligible.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I had a master closet done that consists of all the hanging tools, drawers, the shelf and the garage. I had a garage cabinet installed as well. The designer from Closet World was very nice, pleasant and helpful. I like her. Also the installation was fine. The only thing is that something was not measured properly so I had to forego one of the products that I ordered. But the installer was flexible and willing to try and make it work another way. Overall the people were great. They were very friendly and accommodating.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

There's a lot of unused space so I had Closet World install us a closet. We went with them since they were available for the initial appointment. I liked their designer a lot. He was lovely, super helpful and knowledgeable and was a pleasant person to speak to. The installation took a while but it went well. There’s only one person who did it. He did his best and did the job as quickly as he could. But I noticed that there was a bracket missing from the closet that one of my rods fell down because the closet isn’t properly installed in one spot, so I’m going to have to get a bracket and install it myself so that it remains intact or wait to see if they can bring the shelves and then just fix it themselves.

Although I didn’t realize that for the drawers that I had, I had to request it before in order to get the inserts for the jewelry and the locks and thought it was something I could’ve just bought afterwards. So they have to bring replacement drawers. I also was hoping to have a couple more shelves on one side. I requested them to have some new drawers put in on to the current closet and some more shelving, but I haven’t heard anything about scheduling it yet.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

My husband made the phone call to Closet World then the lady came out and she was great. She sat at the table and sketched the design, and although it was hard to tell from a drawing what it was going to look like, she seemed really experienced. She knew what she was doing so we went with it and it turned out terrific. We had the installation scheduled but we ran into some issues. We were going to be out of town so we rescheduled the second time and it was late in the afternoon when they came out. But we had the closet prepared and everything was ripped out and painted. All they had to do was install everything so it was seamless.

It took me two days to paint the closet but it was worth it. It's snappy and beautiful. The closet is rectangular and it's a large one. It could’ve been a small room. On the right and left-hand side are the bars for the short clothing then when you walk into the closet, there’s a nice wood shoe rack. We did it in the dark wood to match the rest of the wood in the house. In the center, there are three shelves then three drawers underneath and we used the long bars. I'm glad we didn’t put the backs on because we painted. Then I had two lights, one on each side, and a hung piece like crystal drum-shaped chandeliers.

We also put lights on top of the shelves so there’s light shining on the clothes on each shelf. Then we put nice wood floors and a velvet ottoman. I also ordered those Joy Mangano hangers and everything’s really neat. My husband got a little slider closet and that turned out nice too. He put lights over as well and now my husband wants to put a glass door on the closet. Overall, the experience was effortless and the quality of their work was nice. In fact, we’re considering doing the pantry and eventually all the closets in the house as well.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I called Closet World and they hooked me up with a designer, who called back and we set up an appointment. She came in person and had a little book that shows you the different designs. I had done a little research on my own so I knew the styles that I wanted. My closet had a few little quirks but she was able to quickly design around it. It used to be a den and I’m renting that room so I had them install a custom closet. They put shelves and doors and two double hang closets and hanging rods. The installation was clean, quick and of great quality.

Closet World's price is expensive, but the installation was something I wanted to get done so I still went with them. They had a discount that they gave so it was almost as if they reduced the prices. Also, the local manufacturer office called me the next day to check on me. Overall, I’m happy with everything they said and did. They had all the answers and they were very good that way. I would recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Closet World sent us a booklet with home improvement letters for advertisement. We had them install two 26-inch panels and pullout shelves, and then around 10 shelves. When we first met with the designer, I didn’t know that the paneling was only going to be 12-inches deep. So we had an issue once I met with the installer. And then, we kept going back and forth on the date because on the first date that they were supposed to install the closet, the installer got to my house too late. He got to my house around 7:00 and it was too dark for him to cut the materials outside. We had to reschedule and the designer told me not to reschedule because they are going to reschedule me until November. So then they were able to reschedule me again for the following week.

That installer came back and then there was material missing because my design was different than their design. He had to leave and then they had to reschedule me again and but that time was when the guy had all the material. The guy came but had to leave again because he was missing material again, three shelves, and he came back within an hour. But when they installed it, it was good. I really like the quality of it because it’s sturdy. However, there was a lot of misunderstanding and back and forth. That was really annoying and frustrating. But I’d use them again because of the quality of the stuff and this time, I know what kind of questions to ask and what to expect.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

We used Closet World six years ago in another house. And this time, we had a bedroom closet installed and I’m very dissatisfied. The quality is very low and the installation was a big mess, and it wasn’t good at all. They used low-end materials, and IKEA products are much better and cheaper. And then, they finished installing my closets for three weeks when it was supposed to be done in one day. On the first day, the installer showed up, picked up the check, and then, he said it was his fourth job for the day and he won't be installing anything. And the next day, he didn’t have the right product. He never came back. I had to call Closet World and I didn’t get anywhere, so I had to write them a big email so somebody would call me back. Closet World should be offering better quality, better customer service, and they need to better manage their installers.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I did a comparison between closet companies and ended up with Closet World. Their price was a little bit more, but it was close. The sales rep was very nice and the installation at first was okay. However, the installer cracked a light switch plate and then proceeded to take one off another part of the house and didn’t say anything. When we looked at the closet, things were okay. There were some measurement issues because the closet door would not open all the way. Closet World sent somebody else back out and they went ahead and took care of one of the cabinets of the closet door a little all the way. They did a very neat job.

But I was very disappointed and questioned what else the first installer may have stolen from us. Even though it was only a $2 face plate, but my wife and I and a dog live in the house. I noticed 36 hours later, when I was walking out to the garage, the switch plate was missing off the light switch in the laundry room. I knew he told me he would have to cut it down about a quarter of an inch to fit and I said that’s fine. I left for 20 minutes and trusted him. But in that period of time, he tried to cut it and broke it. He may have had every intention of coming back but he didn’t. He didn't say anything as well.

So, I talked to customer service and they said that they're going to go ahead and reimburse me $120. Other than that, I love the closet system. There were eight doors that were done and a lot of shelves and hanging components. I’m happy with the quality and installation at this point. I would recommend Closet World, but I would express to people to not leave their house and not leave anything out.

Closet World expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Closet World is a California-based home organization company that specializes in designing customized organizational solutions for homeowners. They have four locations in California and Nevada.

• Built-in options: Closet World’s closets can be customized to include built-in drawers for jewelry, purses, accessories or anything else you want. You can also have built-in hampers, shelves and cubbies installed.

• Free consultation: Start the organization process with a free design consultation. Schedule one by calling Closet World or by filling out a short form online. Your design consultation should take around an hour and will include measuring your space, itemizing your belongings and talking about design options.

• One-day installation: Most Closet World units can be installed and ready for use in as little as one day. Note that this timing doesn’t include designing and ordering the unit.

• Bedtec Wallbeds: Designed with small spaces in mind, Closet World’s Bedtech wallbed is designed to safely tuck away behind doors when you aren’t using it. This helps homeowners maximize small living spaces with style.

• Organize other spaces in your home: Closet World organizes more than just closets. Call them for help designing an organizational solution for your garage, home office, laundry room or pantry.

• Best for: Closet World is best for small home dwellers and luxury homeowners who live in California or Nevada.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs