4.15/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Closet World

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Custom Closets, Garage Cabinets, Home Offices, Wall Beds, Pantries, Laundries, Wall Units, Hobby Rooms, Media Centers, Garage Flooring and more...

Organize your entire home with Closet World. Our large selection of finishes, colors, and accessories help you achieve total home organization that is both functional and appealing. We offer unique designs for every room including closets, pantries, garages, home offices and laundry rooms along with a selection of wall beds and flooring to complement your home.

Serving California & Nevada

Fully Insured (GCL/WC) Bonded (CB/PB) Lic CA #631369, #767419, NV #51301

Closet World Video
Closet World Gallery (6)

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 17, 2017

1001 Closet World Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

When I decided to do a renovation, Closet World was in one of my flyers. I just did a big renovation in my kitchen so the designer and I matched the colors, poles and everything with the master bath. She showed me all my choices and made it simple for me. I had Closet World install the bureau, dresser and tall shelving for shoes. Plus, a long area for hanging long items and two areas for short items on each side. During installation, the installers took the old and put in the new in. They got there right before I was and everything was all cleaned up. The full renovation in my house went very smoothly.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

My experience with Closet World was wonderful. I used them in the past and I knew their work. They did my house that I used to have and they were good and efficient. I saw their ad again in the paper and I wanted to get it redone so I called them up and a lady set the appointment up for me. She was very pleasant and everything went well. A lady came out to measure, we talked a lot and she was really nice. I did a new closet with the track, three mirrors and the drawers and the hangers.

The installer was also a really nice guy. He was an excellent installer who worked by himself. I give that guy credit because his partner was sick but he did the job. He knew what he was doing and was a gentleman. He talked with me and he’d say, "Yes, sir.” I thought I was in the military. That guy deserves a raise and they better not lose him. They contacted to see how things were and I said everything was great. I was happy and content and I'm thinking of doing another room.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

My husband is in the military and Closet World offers military discounts. We’ve also known about them for years and aside from their price, we also liked the quality of their closets. We were looking for a closet design and we liked that they offered us something that didn’t have the whole wire closet system. We weren’t paying $5,000 for wires in our closet. That’s ridiculous and we could go to Walmart and get the same thing for a couple of hundred dollars. When I first called Closet World, they put me in contact with Teri. She came out to the house and I told her the color and the price we wanted to spend. She brought the catalog, did some measurements and told us what we could see and what her different vision was for the area we had to work with. So, she guided us and went into a direction that worked for all of us.

We ended up having a nice open concept closet that looks good. It's a three-sided closet in three different walls, and when you walk in, you can spin around, put a chair and do whatever you want. There are drawers and lots of shelving and hanging space since I have a lot of clothes. We saw the value in doing something like that instead of something temporary. We wanted it to be an asset so that if we sell our house, somebody won’t have to completely demolish it and start over again. Closet World also let me pick my date for the installation. One guy came out and it took a couple of hours. He was very nice and professional. While there was an issue with how one of the boards that's going to line up was going to block an outlet, we gave him a free rein to do what he needed and he did it smoothly.

From start to finish, everything was pretty easy and quick. Closet World's reps were also efficient. But on the financial side, I wanted to pay more than just the typical 50% but they didn't take out the correct money. So that threw off our figures because it looked like we had more money than we had. As a company, if someone wants to pay more and that's what the contract says, they should take the money and not have to make the customer jump through hoops to try and give them the money. But that had to do with the people who took the information and were processing the payment. Teri tried to work with me on that and get everything in. So it was fine after a while.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Closet World is a great company and within our price range. We called a couple of other companies and gave them the size of our closet and what we were looking for and they gave me a ballpark figure which was more than we were wanting to pay to have something done. At the time, Closet World was giving a discount and I'm glad we looked into them. Their product is good and I appreciate that their designer was very helpful and knowledgeable. She listened to us, pointed out a couple of things that we may need, and gave her opinion on how to organize and things to change that would give us more space. It was excellent dealing with her.

Also, the installers were very polite, clean, friendly and neat. They were very good at their job and cleaned up as they go and after they were finished. Their representative called me to ask me how I like the shelving that they put in and we told her that it was great and working perfectly for us. I am happy with them. I will order a rod shelving from them at a later date and they will be doing more business for me.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I needed to get closets in my garage and someone suggested Closet World. After a couple of emails here and there, the designer came out and worked with me. Everything was on time, but there were a couple of flaws in the cabinets and the holes didn't line up. They had to take them back and come back again. Whoever built the shelves didn't do the best job but they came back and took care of it within two weeks. They also grabbed whatever it was that they were missing or whatever it was that needed to be changed. The fellas were great and they made a couple of suggestions. The designer might have mentioned them but I didn't think of it at the time, so we made those changes. Everything was great and I will definitely recommend them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Closet World?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I had a sliding door from Closet World installed. The designer was really cool. It seemed like he had a limited understanding of what the product was or would be so I just gave him the benefit of the doubt. Then, upon seeing the installation of the product I think my hopes were a little bit high for what it would be. The metal that was in the pictures that he showed me was nicer and looked more like satin nickel, while in the final product, it's a little bit cheaper because it looked like aluminum which was really hard to tell from the pictures.

The installation was generally okay although there was a little dent on the top of the railing or the top part where it slid on the track. That's not really a big deal. Only if you look at it with certain lighting can you see the dent. Another aspect of it that was hard to tell from the picture was the handles that are like little plastic things that he glued onto it. If I'd known it, I probably would not have been disappointed with it. Just beforehand, I was expecting it to look a little different. The hope exceeded what it was. I’m sure the people renting the place are not too picky about it so all-in-all it worked out.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

We had some misunderstanding with the contractors who installed the closet from Closet World. Their designer designed everything with the kitchen. I told her very clearly that this is a small closet and I need more space. It was already a very small closet worth only $1,500. But then, they made it smaller so I lost some space. For $1,500, I should have some extra. The installer said it was hard to explain to me the numbers, which were above the pictures. The picture shows I will not lose any space. I understand the person who installed it as he had no idea and did nothing with the design. However, my point was to make it compact so I can get more space. Also, they came late and I had to leave for work at that time. The supervisor said he will contact me the next day to discuss the issue with my design and contact the person who designed but nobody contacted me so I got upset. It was very stressful so I let it how it is.

I lost my space and I’m not happy with that. They should at least refund me something since it was not my fault. It’s my house and my closet. I lost, but they lost as well. I have lots of friends who are looking forward to customizing closets, and I won’t recommend Closet World to anybody who asks me as they were unprofessional.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I had called one or two other companies and Closet World returned my call and they also had a promotion going. The Closet World designer came out and she was very nice and great to work with. The installation crew came and they were here all day. They were very nice guys and I had them install an off white wood for the closet. They had someone else with them and I was happy that they were able to do it all in one day considering that they had told me it would take two days to accomplish the installation. The whole process went smoothly and so I recommend Closet World.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Closet World installed all five bedrooms of our house and we chose them because of their 50% off discount. They came back for a follow-up appointment to mix the colors of the bedrooms up and overall, it was okay. Although they need to hire the best and more experienced people who can design, it was a very good experience and I’m happy with it.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

We had Closet World build a walk-in closet in our bedroom. I called them and they were available. I then asked for the quote and I liked their pricing. Their designer who came to our house was extremely helpful. She made three fantastic designs. She was really looking for the needs we had. It has been a good experience.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

We got Closet World to install three closets in the Master bedroom and the children's bedroom. The designers were good and the prices were competitive. However, the installation was a nightmare, though they eventually rectified it. Two of the closets were installed improperly. A couple of the drawers didn't work, some of the moldings were left off the wall, and the wood had marker on it. It took them a week to come back and fix it.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I saw Closet World’s ad in the paper and they were the only closet company I had ever heard of. We had them installed cherry wood colored closets -- two small ones and one in the large master bedroom closet with drawers, and they were very nice. Their designer was very friendly and she felt like family being in the home. She was getting the idea of what our needs were and what would work best for our family. And with having little kids and one closet, plus how we could organize our shelving, she provided recommendations based on her experience. We had a good experience with her and I enjoyed her. The only thing was we weren’t informed that during installation, the baseboards that we had in there had to be pulled out which ended up having some discoloration. It was a bummer because when we did the plan, it was stated in there that we had them and I thought it would be a custom designed around it.

We had left all that in there and textured. We had a painter out doing everything so now we have to retexture down there and fix it up a little bit. But they recommended painting it beforehand so that’s what we did. But if we would have known that we had to remove them, then I would have been happier. We had two days’ worth of them because we had a lot that they had to do, and anything that had to be done was done. We’re very happy with the product and we were very satisfied with Closet World.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

My Closet World experience was great. They had an advertisement on the internet for a sale so we got them to put in a relatively simple unit and a walk-in closet for my son's room. It had shelving, drawers and two hanging bars. The quality is great and my son loves it. Their designer was very helpful, concise, and did a nice job. I had to do the demolition of the old closet myself which ended up being a pain. But beyond that, everything with the installation was easy and fine, and the installers got it done on time. Overall, it was a very simple experience and everything went as planned. Closet World had a good price, service and product.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

We got 3-4 estimates from other companies before we went with Closet World because of the in-house design experience. The designer had multiple options for us compared to other companies and also we got a good price. We made lots of changes but she was calm and patient and still did the changes for us. She concluded the order very fast. We had an installation in the garage and also in the walk-in closet, and we would still be giving two more orders this week. The installation experience was good. When they came for the first time, two of the doors were damaged so they came again the day before yesterday to replace them. They replaced only one while the other is still having issues so now we are having another appointment to install the last two, wasting a lot of time. Othen than that, they did fine and they had a good price.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I used Closet World about seven years ago and I had a good experience. I like them because they are responsive. Recently, I had a complete remodel done so working with Closet World was important. Once they got the green light, they moved in the time period that they told us they would. The designer, Heather, was great, prompt, and efficient. She answered the questions I had. And if she didn’t have the answers to them, she researched it and found out for me.

Additionally, Heather worked with the contractors to know what kind of doors were coming in, what kind of tracks were necessary, etc. She worked beautifully with everyone to make sure that everything was coordinated and they were able to figure it all out. She followed through with everything and made it a really easy experience. The installation crew was also great. They took care of anything that I commented on or needed. I'm extremely satisfied and would definitely recommend Closet World. What they put in seems to be fairly sturdy, and so far nothing has fallen down so that’s good.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I needed a closet in the kid’s room and it was convenient to set up an appointment with Closet World. Their designer came to the house, took measurements and we talked about what I was trying to accomplish with the space. There's a lot of disconnect between their design and installation teams. During installation, only one guy came out but when it was described to me, it seemed that two guys would come out. Then the installer spent a lot more time than he had anticipated spending and part of that was because the demolition took longer than expected. He was really hesitant to start moving the shelving that was already there because the house was old. He said that in his experience, there had been times where the wall comes down because the house is so old. So I talked that through with him and it took a while.

Also, there was some confusion about some wiring that were in that space because the previous owner had made it into a media shelf. The designer had explained to me that they would place a grommet on it and my understanding was that the wiring would be moved and that they would put a separate outlet. But that's not what happened because the installer was not an electrician and he couldn't do it. In any case, we were in in a situation where the guy was here and he's got to do it so I just had to make decisions on the spot. I told him if he couldn't do it then he should just do whatever he can do. So he pulled the cable and did what he could do to the best of his ability. Then because the flooring was not exactly how it was described in the diagram, he had to remove one of the shelves that I had not intended to be removed and I didn't notice it until after it was already done.

Once he had put the closet in, there were drawers sticking out and the closet looks different from how it was described by the designer. The asymmetry of it threw me off and it was not what I had expected it to look like. I asked the installer if I could change the closet so it was straight across and the drawers were not as deep. I thought one section of those drawers could be pulled out then he could do a shorter version of that. But he said that he can't do anything about it now because it's already done. To make such changes, he has to tear the whole thing out and start fresh. So that's disappointing.

I was also going to do a curtain rod and cover the closet from floor to ceiling, but now I can't do that because the drawer part sticks out. Also, the pricing was a little confusing and the cost ended up being more than I expected. I thought it was going to be 50% off the whole thing but it was just 50% off of the closet. Everything else such as the knobs, rods and the finish were at regular price.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I liked Closet World's design and they were worth trying so I had them install two bedroom closets in two small rooms in our home. The interaction with the Closet World designer was quick. I wanted her to do the doors to one of the closets as well and get all three jobs done. I hesitated since that was a lot but the designer said if I do all three then I get a discount. So, I called Closet World twice if they can contact the designer that would be best for the discount. However, they never got a hold of her and it wasn't a great experience.

The installation was great and although the measurement was a little bit off, the installer finished the job. So it was done in a timely manner. Closet World has different departments that work with each other. I asked the guy who came if he could call in and see if he could schedule coming back here, or since they work with the same company, he could help me relay that message. But in terms of the product, I like it and I'd recommend Closet World because there are other products that they may have a different service experience than what I had.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I get the news flyer every week and heard about Closet World. There were shoes everywhere and it needed organization so we had two closets installed, in our daughter's room and then the master’s. The designer came over and designed the closets. The design was well, unfortunately, we didn't get enough shelving. The installer was cool. I think his name was Masui. He did have little trouble getting into the house because somebody at the warehouse gave him the wrong work order. And he ended up in Modesto, when I live in Manteca. But we figured it out. We got it squared away. Everything else was fine.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Closet World installed something for our bedroom and kitchen area. Their designer, Cindy, was very good but I am not too crazy about the installer. He was not polite. When he came in he was frustrated from a previous job. He did some work for some old lady and she didn’t give him a tip. After he finished the work I found that the pegs were not put in and I had to go look for pegs. They were not completely thorough with their finished job.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

I had a walk-in closet in the master bedroom installed by Closet World. The designer measured the closets wrong. It wasn’t big enough for someone to walk in but the installer improvised and got it to work. He also cut the drawer on the next tier a little bit. He was a great guy and wanted to get the job done. He also tried to make sure I was happy with the product.

Closet World needs better planning on the design part. I have a baseboard which they had to remove to install the closet and now I have a rip where it cuts off at the bottom. It's a 4-inch unpainted section of the closet. Even though it’s not a big deal, I can see it’s not colored at the bottom. It looks like crap. And because they pulled out the baseboard, now there are some holes in there, too. That could’ve been planned a little better. In the contract, they put it nicely with the baseboard and all that.

I would’ve paid a little more to get a back cover for the closet, but that wasn’t recommended to me. They said it wasn’t necessary. It could be they thought I wouldn’t pay for it, but that would have solved that problem. Also, the unfortunate part was I didn’t get to see the products myself though I saw a couple of samples. You can’t do it when someone’s coming out to your house. You’re not at a showroom to see the product like the drawers. But overall, it was a good experience. Closet World is competitive.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

The salesperson came and they were supposed to install an entertainment center in my house. They threw out the plans and figured out the cost. I specifically told the salesperson that I was going put 6% off the cost and I wanted the difference so I went ahead and wrote him a check for $1,500, and $1,506. It was a deal. I even told him that I have additional cabinets that I was going to have installed in my garage. However, when they installed the wall unit in my house, the installers asked for the other half before they begin to work. I told the gentlemen at that time that the salesperson they sent us was a very nice man and very professional. The installer called his superiors. I explained to them what was going on and I even called the salesperson. And what the salesperson told me was he couldn’t recall exactly what happened on the previous appointment that he scheduled with me almost a month ago.

I gave the other half they asked for in order for me to get rid of the guys. But I complimented the two installers because they did an excellent job. However, I was extremely lamish and I felt extremely appalled and disappointed on the salesperson. Their sales person did not even have the courtesy to call me back after I spoke to him which made me upset. I explained to that man exactly what took place between him and me and he just washed his hands and went away. The company lost a potential regular customer because I still have certain things that they do that I liked. I'm going to hire more carpenters right now and have them do whatever is need to be done in my garage. I don't like Closet World and I will not recommend them for the shyster that they have as a salesperson.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I got Closet World to install garage cabinets at home. I’ve talked to a couple of neighbors and I didn't like what they had. With Closet World, I get an envelope from them about once a month with a bunch of deals in. Plus I saw a couple of pictures and I got online so I gave it try. The designer came over and he was very, very good. He drew up the plans after he saw what I had in the garage. And the guys who installed it were good. They were on-time and very efficient. And the experience was very congenial. I discussed a few things with the installers because one cabinet had to go down lower because of the garage door rail. We hadn't thought about that when the designer came out. It had to be dropped about three inches and it was perfect. I got everything off the floor and into the cabinets. And now I can park my golf cart and car in the garage. So, everything went great.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

There was a print ad where it said Closet World was at 50%. There was a sale going on. I went with it since at that time it looked cheaper based on the prices that we looked at. The designer explained all the options with respect to pricing, was helpful and discussing our concerns. She came on time and spent a lot of time with us. It helped us figure out what we wanted. However, there was some confusion about the installation. I was told they were coming at 12:00 but then I got a call at 10:30 that they're already there and that was still fine because I could come at 10:30.

The pictures on the booklet that we saw when the person came looked nice. However, the money that we spent and what we got do not match. We gave a couple of thousand for our closets but it looks like it could have been done in couple of hundreds. What we have are basic open closets and we don't have drawers. It feels the same as getting something from Home Depot. I would not recommend the final product to anyone unless they have looked at all the other options and this is what they really want or it's the cheapest option. I will ask people to go for consultation to see if it helps them or to not just look at the product.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

The closet was average for us, and it wasn’t high quality. Closet World also didn’t do a great job on one of the bedrooms and they took on the moving and it cost us a lot of money to repair it because the moving just ruined the walls. I heard a lot of good things about Closet World but the prices I got from them was not fixed price and that’s the worst. One of the designers was an older lady and she was very pushy. She came and she was kind of racist because she tried to put the religion down and the race down. She was talking like that to my son and he decided not to go with her and her prices were very high. I called again to get another designer to come out.

The last installer that came was alone and he did a great job. But the other guy messed up at our closet. It cost us a lot to repair. When I was working with Closet World 25 years ago, the prices were great at that time. Now, I don’t know what happened. They’re bargaining. It’s not the market for bargaining. If I don’t trust Closet World, I’m not gonna come back because when I just see the lady giving me the high price and the other designer giving me the same job for lower price from their company, it would make me think twice next time.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I'm really happy with the built-in closet that Closet World installed in the office. I like how it looks. Their designer was very nice. She came over and we went over things and came up with a plan. The only issue I have is that they scratched the wall in three places during the installation. I understand that the thing is built in as tall as the house, so you need to be careful with it. But other than that, they did a good job. I would recommend Closet World.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I saw Closet World offering a discount so I had them put a large shelf space in our laundry room two months ago. Their designer was nice and the installer was fine. However, I was a little upset and annoyed that the installer didn't clean up afterwards. They had cabinets in there and I thought he’s going to take them away but didn't. So I spent my first hour cleaning up the dust and trash that he left everywhere. Also, when I looked at the product, I thought it’s overpriced and that it wasn’t a great deal.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I had Closet World make the large dining room into a pantry with lots of shelving. I also had a walk-in closet done, and then I had little jewelry drawers and some purse and shoe cubbies put in. It was very nice. There were issues on some things that weren’t covered and thought about like drawers at a corner space hitting each other when they open or an air-conditioning vent at the top when the designing went into place. But the designer was very passionate and excited about drawing something that’s wonderful for us. She was great.

The installer, Alex, was adept and absolutely fantastic. He was on time for the job, and he’s the one who caught some of the designing errors and brought it to our attention. And then he had reconfigured everything so that it would work and open and close and fit properly. He also configured the first job on the first day. We had to cut back on some space because of the drawers being too big and the air-conditioning vent. And so because of that, the manager at Closet World was very quick to offer a refund on the difference in pricing. I am an interior decorator, so Closet World didn’t just put some shelves, a pantry, and a closet. They developed a living space and a feeling that goes along with it. It has completely transformed feelings in our home. And what they’ve done are really top-of-the-line gorgeous.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Closet World responded to my inquiry so I went with them and had three closets done in my master bedroom and two smaller bedrooms. One of the closets included hampers, shoe racks and drawers. The designer and installers were great, nice and helpful. They did the closets really fast and they were clean as well. Overall, it was an easy experience with Closet World.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

The company that did our closets before went out of business so we went ahead and gave Closet World a call. The designer was really good. She came over to the house and drew up everything. We got everything worked out the first meeting. We were one day past on the 50% off coupon that we had and she got that fixed up, too. The installation went pretty smoothly. They came on the day that they scheduled and during the time window that they said. Everything has been good. I would definitely recommend the designer. If anybody asked me about using Closet World, I would say definitely go for it. They were professional and on point.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Closet World had an ad in the paper about a 50% off, so that sounded good to me. But even with that, it’s still a little pricey. It's very nice though, so I understand. They did a beautiful job and I’m very pleased with what was installed. The designer was informative. What I liked was that she said that the colors and the handle were very similar, and it is, so it looks like it was installed at the same time when it was built. The installer was very nice and worked through lunch. He was very diligent. The experience was great but the price could be lower.

Closet World expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Closet World is a California-based home organization company that specializes in designing customized organizational solutions for homeowners. They have four locations in California and Nevada.

• Built-in options: Closet World’s closets can be customized to include built-in drawers for jewelry, purses, accessories or anything else you want. You can also have built-in hampers, shelves and cubbies installed.
    • Free consultation: Start the organization process with a free design consultation. Schedule one by calling Closet World or by filling out a short form online. Your design consultation should take around an hour and will include measuring your space, itemizing your belongings and talking about design options.
    • One-day installation: Most Closet World units can be installed and ready for use in as little as one day. Note that this timing doesn’t include designing and ordering the unit.
    • Bedtec Wallbeds: Designed with small spaces in mind, Closet World’s Bedtech wallbed is designed to safely tuck away behind doors when you aren’t using it. This helps homeowners maximize small living spaces with style.
    • Organize other spaces in your home: Closet World organizes more than just closets. Call them for help designing an organizational solution for your garage, home office, laundry room or pantry.
    • Best for: Closet World is best for small home dwellers and luxury homeowners who live in California or Nevada.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs