Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for your positive review Brenda. We love having you as a customer!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2016

We have had excellent service and low bills - love Champion Energy!

Sheri,

Condolences to you and your family for your loss. Your renewal should have been handled differently and someone from our team will be reaching out to you shortly. Our policy is doing what's right for the customer. We apologize for this and appreciate your renewal. In the future feel free to email customercaremanager@championenergyservices.com.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2016

I renewed seven days late because I had a death in my family. When I requested to have the new or old policy rate be applied to that time I was told that was not your policy. I find that really bad service and may result in a loss of customer at a later date but has definitely made a referral of this electric provider not possible. For the record my representative was very professional, efficient and knowledgeable which for me does not match the inability to satisfy my needs as a consumer in a resolution I'm sure would not be a great financial loss.

Champion Energy Services

David, We're happy that you were able to take advantage of an early renewal offer to secure a low rate. Thanks for being a customer.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2016

I was contacted (by phone) by a representative from Champion Energy on February 16, 2016. The purpose of the call was to let me know I was eligible for a lower fixed rate if I renewed my contract now rather than waiting till it would expire in August, 2016. I was very pleased to hear what my lower rate will be and told the representative to consider that offer acceptable to me. I received several follow-up emails confirming the renewal rate and giving me all the details about my plan. I appreciate being given the opportunity to get a lower fixed rate.

Champion Energy Services

We appreciate your feedback James and thank you for continuing to renew with us year after year. Our senior customers (60+) have enjoyed the discounted rate offered on the Champ Silver plan. If you ever have any questions or comments in the future don't hesitate to call us at 877.65.5090 or email us at feedback@championenergyservices.com.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2016

I was recently given an email that offered an early renewal of my current 24 month contract (Champion Silver Champion Saver 24). After comparing rates from two other competitors, I called the Champion Representative (Brittany) and she covered the terms and conditions of the renewal and also answered several of my questions. I renewed the contract with Brittany over the phone and received a prompt email confirming the renewal. The process was smooth and efficient. I have been a Champion customer for about 7 years now and always found their rates reasonable, the billings understandable, and their customer service is excellent. If comparing electrical providers, I recommend using Champion as a benchmark to measure all others against. I believe that you will find that Champion is always a top choice and a great service provider.

Champion Energy Services

Hi Rebecca. It looks like your renewal was processed fine. We'll reach out to you and see what promo code you were trying to use.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2016

I couldn't get my code to work when I renewed this time. Not sure what the problem was.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Champion Energy Services?

Hi Allan,
We are sorry to see you go and apologize for the experience you had. We are required to notify customers of their contract expiration date and we go beyond the standard requirements to notify customers several times - through emails and bill inserts. Your expiration date is also on every bill.

Customers are always welcome to email customercaremanager@championenergyservices.com with their concerns. We do our best in making things right for the customer.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2016

I had been using Champion Energy since July of 2011 and was very satisfied with their services and their rate. I would sign up for a yearly contract which I would receive an email prior to contract expiration and sent reminders for renewal. I relied on this to know when my contract would expire and when I needed to renew. The end of last year was a busy year for me and with lots of other bills, I again relied on emails to remind me of any bills or expiring contracts. I never received one this last July 2015 when my contract had expired so when I kept seeing my monthly bill go up I began to investigate why it was so high as my usage was not any more than previous years or previous months.

When I finally investigated further, I realized my contract has expired on July 2015 and I'm now on a variable rate which was considerably higher than my contract rate. I had contacted a representative from Champion on January 28th, 2016 to inquire why I wasn't sent an email, and she stated that they did send an email and I told her to tell me exactly when it was sent so I can check again if I received it on that date. Later after a brief hold, she said she couldn't find that email and that they no longer send emails. This basically put the nail in the coffin for me as I don't want to deal with a company that is unwilling to work with me regarding an important issue which is the raising of your rate. I cancelled my service the same day (I went through 5 months of a variable rate before I even noticed) and no one informed me of this. I will not be dealing with a company like this.

Champion Energy Services

Thank you for your feedback. We welcome both the positive and negative experiences customers have with us to continuously improve the way we do business. If you ever have any additional feedback or questions email us at feedback@championenergyservices.com.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2016

I've heard horror stories from numerous people in regards to choosing the right energy provider; some get gouged, some can't even get in touch with a customer service agent when they need assistance. Needless to say I was cautious when selecting a provider - especially with so many to choose from in my area. It's safe to say that I share none of the horror stories that many of my acquaintances experienced and I can thank Champion Energy for that. I've only had one issue that I can recall and it was an excusable mistake on their behalf.

We switched apartments at the last minute and even though we notified them we were still billed for the whole month at the apartment we were not living in. I thought I'd have to fight an uphill battle to get this issue resolved when in reality it was just a quick call to their courteous customer service department and the issue was resolved almost immediately with a credit posted directly to our account.

They also e-mail weekly home energy reports which is helpful if you are trying to find ways to minimize usage - It is kind of like a game now. I get the weekly report and try to decrease usage for the following week based off of the previous weeks report! I've never felt like I was being taken advantage of or overcharged for any particular reason. It is my belief that they truly value their customers, which is a rare quality for large companies have these days. Overall I'd recommend their services to anyone in need of a quality and dependable energy provider. I will remain a loyal customer as long as I can. Thanks, Champ!

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for renewing your contract with us Judy. We appreciate having you as a customer!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2016

We have been with Champion Energy for several years now and have been very pleased. When I saw that our contract was expiring next month, I checked different companies for the lowest rates and called a few of them. Champion offered us the best rates and we felt like we made a wise choice in staying with them. Incredibly knowledgeable and professional customer service. Thank you.

Champion Energy Services

Thanks Lori! We appreciate your feedback and love having you as a customer!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2016

I Love this Company. Thank you for coming into my life and saving me from 3yrs of high reliant energy bills. I would recommend and can't speak more highly of this company. Customer service is polite, very helpful and well trained. I have never had problem!

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for being a customer Carissa. We appreciate our repeat customers!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2016

I have been with Champion for a few years now and have always been extremely pleased. The service is great and the personnel has always been exceptional! No plans of changing to anyone else!

Champion Energy Services

We apologize for the errors you are receiving. The last thing we want is to make it harder than it needs to be for customers to set up automatic payments. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. A member from our team will reach out to you to get you all set up.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2016

I've been very satisfied with your energy service. Twice I've signed onto my account and tried to set up automatic payments: the first time, it wouldn't give me the option, and the second time, I'm directed to a unsecure outside source, and it only gives me the option of setting up a pdf file, etc. So, I stop there. Not sure why this is such a difficult task on my part to help you. Maybe you could make things a bit easier for your customers. Thanks.

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for sharing your experience with us Karen. We appreciate having you as a customer and are glad that we could save you some money on your rate! We love having repeat customers and if you ever have any questions along the way, let us know by emailing feedback@championenergyerservices.com. Also, be sure to take advantage of our Connect-A-Friend Referral program which gives you and a friend a $25 bill credit.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2016

Living most of my life in Texas, our family never changed electric providers from TXU. Fast forward to 2014, when my husband & I bought a new-to-us home & I decided to try Champion. Not only was the process simple, but the rate is SO much better! I chose the Champ Saver 24, so our rates were guaranteed for 2 years! There are no "gotcha's" & the few calls I've made to Champion have been handled professionally with a smile. I believe it is important to document via Internet our POSITIVE experiences, as well as the negatives. But our initial 2 years with Champion has been a positive connection, so I just renewed for another 24 months & the rate is even lower. And TXU's rates can't even compare. Champion Energy is great!

Melissa,

We apologize for the delay in getting your deposit back to you. This is not the norm. It looks like your deposit check is on its way. Someone from our team will be contacting you to give you an update.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2015

I put down a $350 deposit when I started using Champion Energy in, I believe, 2012. At my request, services were disconnected on Nov. 6, 2015, at which time I was told my deposit would be applied to my final bill and the remaining balance would be mailed to me by the end of Nov. On 12/8, I called to find out where my refund ($202.84) was and was told that it was deposited in my bank, which it was not. Then I was told I would receive it in the mail in 7 to 10 business days. I did not.

On Day 10, 12/18, I called back and was told the check started being processed on 12/9 and I should receive it in the mail in 2 to 3 weeks. He said he would call me back with more info after contacting accounting; no callback. Spoke to manager on 12/22 who said she would talk to accounting and call me back before 5 pm if she found out anything. No callback. Called 12/23 and was told that check was mailed on 12/9. Called again and was told the check had not been mailed out and she would pass along my inquiry to the supervisor.

It is 2 days shy of 7 weeks since my services were disconnected, and I'm waiting to even to get a CORRECT ANSWER about when I will presumably receive my money. Does Champion expect customers to just give up and never receive their refunds? Am I being lied to, or is this incompetence on their part? Either way, it's not good business practice, and I will not use their services in the future.

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for your review. We appreciate having you as a customer. You can save even more by referring a friend to us too through our Connect-A-Friend referral program too! Thank you for your business.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2015

I have been very pleased with the services provided by Champion electric. I have had services for a couple yrs now with no issues. They always send multiple reminders when my contract is almost up. Bills have been considerably cheaper than when we had TXU services. Would recommend to others.

Megan,

Your experience below doesn't sound right. Can you email feedback@championenergyservices.com your Account Number so we can look into this?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2015

Champion Energy really disappointed me. We set up the auto pay and they never let us know that they cancelled it because we entered in a number wrong, so they did not want to work with us to fix that number. They told me that it is not their responsibility to let customers know when something is wrong, and I would know that if I read the small print. So unprofessional. We will never be using them again and advise everyone else not to. They do NOT care about their customers.

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for your review Sherri. We appreciate having you as a customer. You can always reach out to us 24/7 with any questions or suggestions you might have at 877.653.5090 or feedback@championenergyservices.com.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2015

I have had nothing but a great experience with Champion Energy. They are accurate, professional but at the same time personal and friendly. Great prices. I love doing business with them!

Factual basis uncertain

Champion Energy Services

Sorry to hear about the experience you had your enrollment with Champion Energy. Our processes with door-to-door reps go by the rules governed by the Public Utility Commission so that customers cleary understand what they are signing up for. This is verified through our recorded phone conversations at point of sale stating the rates and associated termination fees. Also, your contract documents are mailed confirming all this information giving you the opportunity to cancel within three days after receiving it without termination fees.

After reviewing your recorded verification call we confirmed that the price quoted and accepted was 11.7 per kWh average price, based on 2000 kWh. It was then further explained that the average price is based on Champion Energy’s contract rate of 7.5 per kWh, plus delivery charges passed through at cost (all providers have these charges without markup).

As a courtesy we are waiving your termination fees.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2015

CRIMINAL COMPANY SWINDLERS. A shady looking salesman showed up to our door promising 7.5 cents per kilowatt hour. He said there was no hidden charges or fees, and that 7.5 was just that, nothing else except a few small fees. His name was **. He spoke to my wife in our front yard near our car with 3 other adults present as witnesses.

It was not until he signed us up for service, by standing next to my wife and coaching her on what to say, that we were handed a pamphlet that says the "average price" was 11.7 cents per kilowatt hour because he did not mention ANYTHING about the distribution charges that would be collected on behalf of Texas New Mexico Power Company on top of our energy charges (and neither did the telephone sales rep). We just assumed that was the "average price" of people in our neighborhood. While my wife was on his cell phone with the salesman less than 2 feet away, the whole time she was not informed by him or his company of the 3.7 cent per kw/h distributor charge.

So were informed through the mail, several weeks later, that our actual charges was going to be around 11.7 cents per kilowatt hour (7.5 kw/h for Champion Energy, and 3.7 kw/h to be paid to the electric distributor). I called Champion Energy's customer service to express my displeasure at being swindled by their face to face sales rep and the phone rep. They stated that since my wife verbally agreed to service, even though we have not signed anything or even received an account number, we would be responsible to a $250 early cancellation fee, and that they would notify the door to door sales rep's supervisor of my complaint, but they could not promise he would be disciplined at all.

At this point, I knew some fraud was going on and that the company was complicit. I asked her if she has spoken to her supervisor, and she said that it was her supervisor that had determined that I would be punished for being swindled. So after telling them (without personally insulting the customer service rep) that Champion Energy could shove the cancellation fee up their butts, I called Direct Energy (my previous service provider) to sign back up for service.

I spoke with Direct Energy, and explained to them step by step everything that happened from the moment the sales rep knocked on our door to the point I hung up the phone with Champion Energy's customer service line, and the rep with Direct Energy said that it was obvious that several state and federal laws had been broken at that point, and now a 3rd party investigation is underway. They could have admitted fault and canceled our service, and that would be that but because the entire company is backing up the fraud, they are now under investigation.

Angie,

A supervisor from our team has been looking into your account and will be in touch to take care of this for you. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. As a residential customer you will not incur an early termination fee for moving to an area we do not serve.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2015

I converted to Champion Energy from AEP because Champion called my home about three times a day. They are located in Texas and I am in Ohio. I expressed that I was unsure and they reassured me that they were the same as AEP except bigger and cheaper. My electric bill was not any cheaper. In fact, it seemed higher. I was with Champion for over a year and I had to sell my house due to getting married. My new home isn't where I can receive their services. I paid my final 500.00 bill and assumed I was finished. I received a notice in the mail that I owed $1525 for an early termination fee.

This, in my opinion, is absolutely ridiculous especially since I was never late making a payment nor have I missed a payment. How can I be penalized when I moved and cannot continue service??? Grrrrr. I have contacted two different people and from the company and both of them have told me they are sorry, that's the early termination fee. I was fined up until 2018!!!

Champion Energy Services

We appreciate your feedback Pallavi. Thanks for your business. If you ever have questions along the way please email us at feedback@championenergyservices.com.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2015

I am really pleased with Champion Energy. I have only been with them for couple of months but I already see how great this decision has been. My monthly electricity bills are much lower than what they were in the past for the same usage. I am especially happy with some of the other features like the weekly reports that are sent to inform me about my usage/costs per week down to the hourly level. This gives me great insight into where resources can be optimally utilized. All in all a great experience. On top of everything else, they have a great referral program that entitles me and my referral to receive a $25 bill credit for being a customer. If you have found this review useful, please use my referral ID ** to take advantage of this win-win. Thanks.

Champion Energy Services

We apologize for the miscommunication in getting your average billing set up. It is set up now. The delay in setting up your payment settings was a mistake on our part and not done intentionally. All average billing customers are set up fairly based on calculations of your usage history. Thanks for your patience in getting this resolved. We appreciate your business.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2015

I requested in early summer to have billings placed on an average monthly basis. It was never done on the first request thus requiring me to pay the full summer bill. I requested again and it still was not done and I had to pay another high bill. A service rep acknowledged they dropped the ball the first time and then they said they could not get historical usage (which is false since Oncor provides this information). The third time I requested, I sent a complaint to the PUC. Champion apologized, but was unwilling to go through the hoops of making sure my next bill started a level payment, so now I have another summer bill at full price.

Additionally, service reps quoted on 2 occasions a level payment amount of around $90-$94/mo. I was advised on my third contact with Champion that both reps were incorrect and my level payment would be over $133/mo. I asked them to honor their earlier quotes and they refused, nor would they put in place a level payment on my most recent bill. I would change electric providers, but the pre-payment penalty for terminating a contract does not justify doing so. Poor customer service and hope that the delays in level payment requests were not done intentionally so as to collect the higher monthly charges incurred during the summer.

Since switching to Champion Energy from my previous electricity company I have had no issues and their website is very user-friendly. My previous provider always has their website down or it just seems to never work. With Champion Energy I have not ran into any issues and it's super easy to set up!

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for being a customer Tj!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2015

So far so good. I have had Champion Energy for about 3 months. So far no issues whatsoever. They are also way cheaper than any other providers I have used in the past. I will let you all know if that changes or if I have any problems with their service in the future.

Champion Energy Services

Our apologies for the frustration caused as our agent should have simply removed your credit card information. Someone from our team will be reaching out to you asap to get this resolved. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2015

I have made payments on an account held by another person in order to be sure everything is completed in a timely manner, but instead of having the credit card I OWN be saved under MY NAME it is automatically placed under the account holder's name. This not only makes me leery of ever using the online service again, but leery of the company itself. And I not only have to have the account holder's permission to remove my account, customer service will not change just the card on file to mine. This is completely ridiculous!!! Even if the payment was completed in accordance to your rules, Champion Energy is making payments from my bank account under someone else's name which is unacceptable. JUST CHANGE YOUR WEBSITE AND SAVE THE CORRECT INFORMATION!!!

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for your feedback Tim. Happy that Ashley could help you out!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2015

Champion Energy continues to provide great service and great savings with a competitive energy rate. Also received excellent support when calling customer service to renew my services. Thanks to Ashley I can look forward to saving money and locking in a great rate. THANKS!

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for being a long-time customer of ours Michael. We appreciate your loyalty and always welcome any feedback you might have to improve your experience with us at feedback@championenergyservices.com.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2015

I have been a Champion Energy customer for several years, and will be one for many more years to come. They are no hassle, easy to use, with great rates and great customer service. I highly recommend them to my friends and family.

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for renewing your contract with us Tony. The Senior plan is great for those over 60 years old. You can also take advantage of our social sharing tools for our Connect-A-Friend referral program here: https://www.championenergyservices.com/programs/referral-program/.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2015

We've had Champion Energy since September of 2014. From January 2015 through July 2015, we saved $100 from what we paid from January 2014 through July 2014 with another provider, so we saved money. I'm satisfied. My contract is about to expire and they had a plan for seniors, over 60, which we qualified for and chose, so it should save us a little more money. If this review was helpful to you, please consider using my referral ID, **, when switching to Champion Energy. I did so for someone else when I signed up--pass it on!

Adam,

Thanks for your review! We hope that you continue to be satisfied with our service for years to come. You can also take advantage of our Connect-A-Friend referral program by sharing your Referral ID through your social network. Learn more here: https://www.championenergyservices.com/programs/referral-program/

Original review: Aug. 2, 2015

Just celebrated 2 years in Texas with Champion and we've been completely satisfied with their service. Their prices are very competitive, and their analytics help set expectations as to what your bill will be, as well as what it has been for previous years. The referral program is also a great way to save, and help others save as well. Just use **, and save $25 right away! It's nice to see a company that rewards their existing loyal customers instead of just the new customers. Thank you Champion!

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for being a customer and renewing your contract with us. We appreciate your business!

Original review: July 30, 2015

I have used Champion Energy for a year now and it's been great. My rates have never been lower. And tracking my usage has never been easier. I am renewing my service for another year. I recommend Champion Energy to anyone looking for new power service with great rates and great customer service.

Champion Energy Services

James, You are all set with your renewal. Your new contract starts on August 16th. A member from our team will be following up with you. Thanks for being a customer!!

Original review: July 22, 2015

Every bill I receive in my email always posted that my Champion Energy account is over on August 15th, next month. I have renewed my account back in February 2015. Please get my new account cleared and ready for 2 years. I will call your company in Houston, Texas Wednesday morning.

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for renewing with Champion Energy and sharing your experience. Paula, like many of our customer care agents, are available to assist you with any questions you might have regarding your service. We're glad to have you as a customer and hope to keep you for another 4 years!

Original review: July 15, 2015

I called Champion about renewing my contract. I was lucky to get Paula on the phone to help me. She took the time to review the most cost-efficient plans, look at my individual usage, and calculate which plan would save me the most money. She made the process easy, quick, and saved me money in the process. I have been a Champion Energy customer for close to 4 years and am highly satisfied with their service.

Champion Energy Services Company Profile