Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for being a loyal customer Lois. We love having customers for life. Please feel free to reach out to us with any questions you might have. We appreciate your business!

Original review: March 1, 2017

I have been with Champion for about 3 years now and I couldn't be happier. On the rare occasion that I need to talk to customer service, the representatives are always pleasant and helpful. I especially like the weekly emails showing my usage. I recently received an email letting me know that my current contract was due to expire in April. I used the attached link and was able to look and compare the various plans. From that it was easy to make a decision and I renewed for another two years. From start to finish it could not have been more than a couple of minutes, it was simple, easy, and painless. I am a Champion customer for life.

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for the feedback George. We're customers too and work hard everyday to treat our customers the way we would like to be treated. If you ever have any questions or suggestions for us, please email feedback@championenergyservices.com.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

Champion Energy has been my electric provider for 5 years now. They are always truthful in their plan quotes and keep you advise to your expiration date on its monthly statements. No hidden agendas, no hidden add-on fees. Recommend highly as an electricity provider.

Champion Energy Services

Heather, sorry to hear of your experience with your commercial agreement. Please email us at feedback@championenergyservices.com, including your service address and company name. We'll look into it and contact you directly.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2016

We received a call from Champion regarding switching suppliers. After a discussion, everything they told me sounded good... it was a discount program. I was told that the lower rate they gave me would be guaranteed for 4 years, which is what it stated on the email sent after agreeing to the service. Never ONCE did they say we were going to be locked in to a CONTRACT for 4 YEARS and can't get out of it unless we pay an astronomical termination fee. I only found this out after getting a separate bill from Champion, where most electric suppliers show up on your electric bill. Not only was that a problem, but the rate on the bill was at least 6 points higher than what I was given over the phone. They say this was due to PA taxes, which is most likely true, but our old supplier was still less... with the taxes.

So not only are we stuck with the contract... because we aren't paying the $2,350 I was told would be due to terminate... but we are stuck with a higher price and for 4 YEARS. This is ridiculous. I wish there was a way to get out of this. I was suckered in because I thought it was a discount program not a contract and that the rate was going to be lower than what we already had, which it was not. They were able to get us back to one bill but I am very disappointed and dissatisfied with the rest of the situation!

Champion Energy Services

Thank you for your review Thomas. We appreciate having you as a loyal customer!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2016

Last year I signed up for one year with Champion Energy. This Year I renewed for two more years. I am very pleased with Champion Energy with their lower energy rates, the weekly energy usage reports, and their outstanding customer service. Thank You Paula and Myra for outstanding customer service. Thank You Champion Energy!

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us and renewing your contract. We appreciate having you as a customer!

Original review: July 23, 2016

Excellent and transparent service, great prices. Very clear and accurate advertising. Very fast service setup and renewal online, without having to use the phone. I really appreciate that Champion kept the low prices also for my renewal (differently than other companies I used in the past), which allows me to save significantly on my electric cost. Thank you for your great service which I would definitely recommend and I look forward to continuing my business with Champion Energy.

Champion Energy Services

Sara, thanks for choosing Champion Energy as your electricity provider. Our Smart Track weekly usage reports help customers, like you, manage and track their usage so there is never a surprise when you get your monthly bill. You can also log in to your account to view even more details about your usage. Feel free to call us 24/7 at 877.653.5090 with any questions.

Original review: July 18, 2016

We have used Champion Energy now for the past 6 months. They are very easy to work with, send reminder emails and have multiple options for payment of bills. Their rates are very reasonable and one of my favorite features is their weekly energy report, where I can see our energy consumption compared to last week, both in units and cost. It has helped us be more aware of what uses the most electricity so we can be more frugal.

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for sharing your experience with our customer care agent, Oscar. Glad that he could explain the pros and cons of balanced billing. We appreciate your loyalty and renewal on our Silver plan. If you ever have additional comments or suggestions, let us know by emailing feedback@championenergyservices.com.

Original review: July 10, 2016

Oscar helped me with my Champ Silver 24 renewal. I asked for (and got) a loyalty discount as I have been a Champion customer for 6 years. I also threw him a curve by asking for balanced billing. He told me about the pros and cons of this plan and then checked with his supv to make sure he got it right. He was very courteous and polite, making sure I was not irritated by being put on hold while he checked on the proper procedures. Yes, it did take about 8 minutes to renew my service with Champion, but I came out ahead and had a pleasant experience. I'm getting a better rate than I had previously!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Champion Energy Services?

Champion Energy Services

Thank you Olivia for being a customer!

Original review: June 28, 2016

Champion Energy has the best customer service and billing procedures we've ever experienced. Their rates are fair and reasonable compared with other companies' rates. Thank you, Champion - keep up the good work!

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for your review James. We believe in transparency with our rates - - no confusing teaser rates or varying rates during the term of your contract. We appreciate having you as a customer!

Original review: June 16, 2016

I have been with Champion for 3 years and just extended contract for 2 more years. Their service and billing has been great. What I like most about Champion is that they do not try to hide what your rate really is with rebates or bonuses. Just offer a great fixed rate and provide good service. Can't ask for more. Definitely recommend Champion.

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for choosing Champion Energy as your provider Rosemary. If you ever have questions you can email us at feedback@championenergyservices.com.

Original review: June 15, 2016

I am thankful I changed providers last year. Even with the Oncor fee, I get a reasonable electric bill each month from Champion.

Champion Energy Services

Thanks Kayla for sharing your experience with us. We'd love to have your friends on board too...without forcing them too much:) You can always take advantage of our referral program which gives your friend and yourself a $25 bill credit. If you ever have questions, comments or suggestions, let us know at feedback@championenergyservices.com.

Original review: June 14, 2016

We recently changed our electric company to Champion from another company in Texas and it has been the best decision we've made! They are so friendly and helpful when you call or contact them online. The prices are incredible and we haven't had a bad experience with them at all! I would FORCE all my friends to use Champion if I could, they are just that good!! You won't regret going with them.

Champion Energy Services

Thanks James. Don't hesitate to contact us if you ever have any questions at 877.653.5090.

Original review: May 30, 2016

Happy customer. No free nights or weekends. B.S. Just cheap reliable electricity.

Champion Energy Services

In reviewing your account it looks like our Customer Care department was able to work with you in getting this resolved. We try our best to work with customers when there are situations that may result in a delay in payment. If you have additional questions please call us at 877.653.5090 to get it resolved. Thank you!

Original review: May 26, 2016

I called Champion Energy today to ask for an extension. I was told I would need to put down 25% of my past due balance. I lost my job last month but now have a new position. My first pay check is 4 days past my disconnect date. (Disconnect is May 31st and pay check is the 3rd.) I have been a customer for at least 3 years. I have always had good customer service from Champion. Sprint and AT&T are working with me. I had hoped Champion would help as well.

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for review Charli. We appreciate having you as a customer!

Original review: May 26, 2016

Champion has been great. Never had one oz of problems. Their website is user-friendly. Customer service were very friendly and my bill has always been fair. I would recommend over all those that sell you "free night-time" service! I fell for that ONCE!

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for renewing with us Kody. Don't forget to share your referral id with your friends when you recommend them to Champion!

Original review: May 24, 2016

I renewed my contract again with Champion and my rate went down for the 4th year in a row! I LOVE this company! Highly recommend them to everyone I talk to. Thanks Champion!

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for your feedback Karen. It looks like you were sent an early renewal campaign. We occasionally offer this to customers to lock in a lower rate before the higher summer prices kick in. It's completely optional and no obligation to you. These notices display your contract end date.

The standard process across all retail electric providers is notifying customers 30-60 days prior to their contract expiring and we adhere to that by sending you your notice via email and other communications to ensure customers don't fall off contract.

Original review: May 17, 2016

Love the service - great prices. But renewal notice is too early - and makes you feel like your service will be cancelled if you don't act immediately. Wait until 1 month prior, please. Or include contract date in notification.

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for choosing Champion Energy Sarah!

Original review: May 5, 2016

My experience with Champion has been fantastic! I have used a few other companies for our electric and Champion is by far the best. Their customer service and account features are so much better than their competitors and they have low rates. I highly recommend them!

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: April 20, 2016

They did and I appreciate it. Thank you!

Champion Energy Services

Hi Helen. It appears that we have granted you an additional extension through the 29th to help you. If you need anything more, please don't hesitate to contact us - 877.653.5090.

Original review: April 18, 2016

I contacted Champion several times asking for help to pay my bill. I did a payment extension through tomorrow and Champion will not help me any further because the new bill is due on the 20th. We don't get paid until the 29th at which time I could pay both bills entirely. I guess they think that the elderly can go without electricity. I am 86 and my husband is 88, I am on oxygen and he has dementia. We just needed the extra help to get us to the 29th, but Champion refuses. Not happy at all.

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for the kind review Jane. We appreciate having you as a customer and for referring your friends and family to us!

Original review: April 16, 2016

We are exceedingly satisfied with Champion and like the weekly usage reports and overall efficiency of billing. We have recommended Champions to friends, neighbors and family members who have all been glad to know of the company, all have been pleased and have switched to your company.

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for your review Cassandra. We appreciate having you as a customer!

Original review: April 9, 2016

I just moved about 3 months ago and chose to go with Champion Energy because they are known for great service. I have the free time on weekends plan and it's awesome! I'm able to plan out my activities so that I can conserve and save during the week and do laundry, etc. on weekends. I also get free energy reports and energy saving tips every week via email, which are very useful. Plus, the cherry on top is the referral program, which is another easy way to save. I can honestly say I love this company and plan to stay with them indefinitely.

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for staying with us Londa. We love having repeat customers!

Original review: April 1, 2016

I just renewed with Champion again. In addition to outstanding customer service they offer extremely competitive rates. In today's economy it is nice to know that I can count on this company to offer great prices combined with great service. They deserve my loyalty.

Champion Energy Services

Thank you Daniel. The last thing we want to do is take advantage of our customers. That's why we advocate "no fine print" in everything we do from the rate you see on our website to the actual bill you pay every month. We appreciate your feedback!

Original review: April 1, 2016

I just want to thank you guys because this is the first time I've felt like I haven't been taken advantage of by an electric utility. You guys had the only website that actually laid out what your cost was along with Oncor's delivery fee and gave an actual representation of what I was going to be charged. You also have the best prices giving me the cheapest bill I've had in years. Thank you so much! This has been a huge help to our family!

Champion Energy Services

Thanks David for your feedback. You're right. For a "commodity" with dozens to choose from, our service is something that we hope to stand out with from the pack. Thanks for your business!

Original review: March 31, 2016

Really for a commodity product like electricity it boils down to customer service. Every time I've called I've talked to a real Houstonian!

Hi Joanne,

Glad that you were able to speak with a representative to assist you with a plan that right for you. We offer standard plans anywhere from 6 months to 36 months with some variations in between and will certainly take your suggestion into consideration. Thank you for your valuable feedback!

Original review: March 27, 2016

I will thank my LAST REPRESENTATIVE for allowing me to change this to a 1 yr contract. I wished the 1st rep. would have REMINDED me that if I turn 60 in LESS than 6 mos. that an 18 mo. contract is TOO LONG. You should have plans for people on disability income also, it probably would fall under A.D.A. acts. We show our proof of disability income, or a letter from S.S. therefore we qualify like seniors. Please consider this option for others in our community. We have very high medical expenses (gave this rating because 1st person was Not looking out in the best interest of me, and also slow paperwork). Don't mind 1/2 cent more (that's NOTHING compared to our medical).

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for your review Les. We appreciate having you as a customer and encourage you to take advantage of our Connect-A-Friend referral program to earn a $25 bill credit for each friend you refer!

Original review: March 9, 2016

I have been with Champion going on 3 years. They are very competitive and the customer service is very professional, quick and easy to renew with.

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for trusting Champion Energy with all your accounts Melissa!

Original review: March 8, 2016

Omg. This is by far the best choice I have made. They are amazing in so many ways. I have 3 accounts with them and I want everyone to know how great they are.

Champion Energy Services

Thanks for your positive review Brenda. We love having you as a customer!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2016

We have had excellent service and low bills - love Champion Energy!

Sheri,

Condolences to you and your family for your loss. Your renewal should have been handled differently and someone from our team will be reaching out to you shortly. Our policy is doing what's right for the customer. We apologize for this and appreciate your renewal. In the future feel free to email customercaremanager@championenergyservices.com.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2016

I renewed seven days late because I had a death in my family. When I requested to have the new or old policy rate be applied to that time I was told that was not your policy. I find that really bad service and may result in a loss of customer at a later date but has definitely made a referral of this electric provider not possible. For the record my representative was very professional, efficient and knowledgeable which for me does not match the inability to satisfy my needs as a consumer in a resolution I'm sure would not be a great financial loss.

Champion Energy Services

David, We're happy that you were able to take advantage of an early renewal offer to secure a low rate. Thanks for being a customer.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2016

I was contacted (by phone) by a representative from Champion Energy on February 16, 2016. The purpose of the call was to let me know I was eligible for a lower fixed rate if I renewed my contract now rather than waiting till it would expire in August, 2016. I was very pleased to hear what my lower rate will be and told the representative to consider that offer acceptable to me. I received several follow-up emails confirming the renewal rate and giving me all the details about my plan. I appreciate being given the opportunity to get a lower fixed rate.

Champion Energy Services

We appreciate your feedback James and thank you for continuing to renew with us year after year. Our senior customers (60+) have enjoyed the discounted rate offered on the Champ Silver plan. If you ever have any questions or comments in the future don't hesitate to call us at 877.65.5090 or email us at feedback@championenergyservices.com.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2016

I was recently given an email that offered an early renewal of my current 24 month contract (Champion Silver Champion Saver 24). After comparing rates from two other competitors, I called the Champion Representative (Brittany) and she covered the terms and conditions of the renewal and also answered several of my questions. I renewed the contract with Brittany over the phone and received a prompt email confirming the renewal. The process was smooth and efficient. I have been a Champion customer for about 7 years now and always found their rates reasonable, the billings understandable, and their customer service is excellent. If comparing electrical providers, I recommend using Champion as a benchmark to measure all others against. I believe that you will find that Champion is always a top choice and a great service provider.

Champion Energy Services

Hi Rebecca. It looks like your renewal was processed fine. We'll reach out to you and see what promo code you were trying to use.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2016

I couldn't get my code to work when I renewed this time. Not sure what the problem was.

Hi Allan,
We are sorry to see you go and apologize for the experience you had. We are required to notify customers of their contract expiration date and we go beyond the standard requirements to notify customers several times - through emails and bill inserts. Your expiration date is also on every bill.

Customers are always welcome to email customercaremanager@championenergyservices.com with their concerns. We do our best in making things right for the customer.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2016

I had been using Champion Energy since July of 2011 and was very satisfied with their services and their rate. I would sign up for a yearly contract which I would receive an email prior to contract expiration and sent reminders for renewal. I relied on this to know when my contract would expire and when I needed to renew. The end of last year was a busy year for me and with lots of other bills, I again relied on emails to remind me of any bills or expiring contracts. I never received one this last July 2015 when my contract had expired so when I kept seeing my monthly bill go up I began to investigate why it was so high as my usage was not any more than previous years or previous months.

When I finally investigated further, I realized my contract has expired on July 2015 and I'm now on a variable rate which was considerably higher than my contract rate. I had contacted a representative from Champion on January 28th, 2016 to inquire why I wasn't sent an email, and she stated that they did send an email and I told her to tell me exactly when it was sent so I can check again if I received it on that date. Later after a brief hold, she said she couldn't find that email and that they no longer send emails. This basically put the nail in the coffin for me as I don't want to deal with a company that is unwilling to work with me regarding an important issue which is the raising of your rate. I cancelled my service the same day (I went through 5 months of a variable rate before I even noticed) and no one informed me of this. I will not be dealing with a company like this.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Champion Energy Services is a fast-growing electricity company that serves deregulated markets in the U.S. The company is Houston-based, but also serves consumers in Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, Maryland and New York.

• Customer service: Champion Energy provides customer service to consumers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • Variety: Champion Energy is a good choice for both residential consumers and for businesses.
  • Price: The company is known for offering Texas residents extremely competitive rates for electricity.
  • Online presence: Champion Energy Services’ online presence is not as advanced as some other electricity providers.
  • Billing: Champion Energy is expanding rapidly, and the company has not expertly nailed down all of their necessary billing practices yet.
  • Best for Residential customers, small businesses, midsize and big businesses

Champion Energy Services Company Profile