Black & Decker Appliances
Based on 36 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Black & Decker

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 14, 2017

50 Black & Decker Appliances Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: June 22, 2012

I have 4 B&D dustbusters. Every one of them has an electrical adapter that plugs into the house outlets. Every one of them is burned on the outside, and two of them are so hot that I can barely touch them. Can you say fire hazard? In attempting to contact B&D, I made four calls into their customer service line; and every time, I was hooked into a French-speaking person, whom I obviously could not understand. Once the French person got done speaking, I was hung up on. 45 minutes later, I actually got a person to talk to. This person was very good at taking my complaint and said they would send me new chargers. Well, at least he said he was going to send them. Time will tell.

My big complaint is the customer no-service that B&D made me go through for 45 minutes. I will be thinking twice before I purchase another one of their products, any of their products.

Original review: June 18, 2012

I purchased the B&D tabletop convection oven (Perfect Broil Convection Oven CTO4500S) at Macy's on 3/3/12 and it was shipped to me. The "timer" on the oven also doubles as the on/off switch. It is a spring loaded turn knob with directions to turn past the "20" minute mark, then turn back to the desired number of toasting minutes. This sets the timer and, when time is ended, serves to turn the oven off. With less than a month's use, the timer "sprung" - you could neither set the timer nor turn the oven on/off. I called B&D and they advised me to discontinue use and that they would send me a replacement oven.

I asked whether it was fair to assume that the replacement would also have this same defect and was told by the representative, Rebecca, that "we don't have any recall of this product". I was also told that I would receive a letter instructing me on disposal of the original oven. This phone call with B&D was on 4/27/12. I received the replacement oven on 5/2/12 and began use. I also packed the original oven for return. On 5/18/12, I re-contacted B&D and spoke with John. I told John that I had not received the letter instructing me on how to dispose of the original oven and asked him for direction. He confirmed that the letter had not been sent and it would be "soon". I have not received any instruction from B&D regarding disposal of the original oven as of this date (6/1812).

Original review: June 11, 2012

I own two Black & Decker mixers. The first, a MixPro Mx78W5 Type 1, just shut off. No noise, no anything. The second one my son bought me for Christmas last year to replace the first one. I was using it to make frosting for my grandson’s birthday cake when it made a weird noise and the beaters quit. It runs, but the beaters don't. I called several times the 800 number on the enclosed brochure. After 47 minutes the last time on hold, an automated voice came on to leave a message, still no answer after a couple of weeks. I just went to an “answer website” and they want $30 to answer my questions! These mixers have not been used more than two dozen or so times a piece. What is happening to standards? I just want to know if I can get either of these mixers fixed or replaced, and not give someone another 30 bucks for them to say, "Oh, well, that's your tough luck." Can anyone out there help me? I simply cannot afford to keep buying mixers!

Original review: May 23, 2012

I have had my Black and Decker blender for two or three years. I have used it a lot over the years but lately, I have been mixing up shakes in the blender. It is just milk, powder, and ice cubes. One day, I heard a noise and didn't know what it was. I poured my shake in a glass and drank it. My last gulp, I felt a sharp object in my mouth and here it was one of the four blades that had broken off of the blender! It didn't cut my mouth or go down my throat because I caught it in time but it was very dangerous and it scared me.

Original review: March 2, 2012

The mixer (PowerPro mixers 200 watts) is good and works good but the beaters fell apart. Every good woman needs a good mixer but it is no good if the beaters are no good. The mixer is no good to me. At the time I called, no one would help me get the beaters replaced. I have replaced it with another brand but I keep the mixer, hoping one day they might send me info about the beaters.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Black & Decker?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2012

I purchased the Mixer MX217 18 months or so ago. I was mixing up a cake mix and one of the beaters fell apart. It's a very poor design. The thin wires look to be soldered into tiny holes, really? I always trusted BD but the poor design of these beaters is making me rethink.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2011

I bought a waffle iron, which we only used twice in the month I had it from our local Walmart. I took the thing back after bolts or hinges broke and the Teflon was in our batter, which we consumed. I have been trying to get a hold of them via email and got nothing, then I have been trying for a week to get hold of them on the consumer service Department and they put me on hold, 1-800-231-9786. All I asked for was my $14.99 back and I will not pay $10.00 to ship it back to the company for repair.

Original review: June 30, 2010

I purchased the Black & Decker Cyclone 12-Speed Blender (938HA, TA001, WindHand, E218370). I purchased it because it was a Black & Decker. The first time I used it, it stopped working right after it started blending and wouldn't start back up. I tried everything. I emailed the address in the book that came with the blender and they emailed me and told me I would have to mail the cord, the receipt and $7.50 for shipping. I told them I didn't want to have to pay another $7.50 for a blender I paid $30 for and couldn't use. They waived that fee, but said I still needed the receipt. I didn't keep the receipt so I am out of luck.

Original review: March 14, 2010

I was cooking hamburgers in my skillet SKG610C when the glass cover blew up and completely shattered. It was very dangerous, it could have gone in my eye but I had just turned to do something else. I just want people to know how dangerous it is.

Original review: March 10, 2010

I've bought at Canadian Tire last summer (unfortunately I can't find my bill yet). I bought a blender: Black & Decker ProBlend 450 W 10-Speed Blender (the container is made of glass). I used it a couple of times. Last week, I was making a soup. When I poured some of the liquid with vegetables in it, suddenly it had cracked, just like that! It's not broken in pieces. It cracked. I can't use it anymore. I kept it so I can send it to you, because I'd like you to replace it please. I consider that the container of the blender should not crack that easily. It's made out of hard glass. I don't understand. Who should I send it to? Can I have a replacement please?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2009

I purchased Black & Decker Blender W.Mill BX 350 pc on 22/10/2009, after 10 days the big jag is leaking because of overheat of the engine bottom of blender blade seal is melt and little smoke came out from the main unit, we had given for service after one week B & D serviced the main jar and returned, when we used after service within 2 mins there is heavy smoke came out from main unit and switch off the power else it could blast and will damage severe injury also, now who is the responsible for this kind of service and low quality of meterial used in manufacturing the product, i called concerned dealer where i purchased, they ask me to bring and again they will send for service, same thing repeating not proper service, we put in complaint against the product that overheating the main unit. kindly look into the matter seriously, if you like to retention of customer.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2009

The element on the bottom of my electric skillet started shooting sparks and flames and partially melted.

Original review: July 9, 2009

I also purchased a Gizmo can opener at Sears on 12/28/2004. I have had trouble with it since day one. It was sometimes charged, and sometimes not; it was always in the charging stand. The reason I purchased the product was for convenience, and it's supposed to stay charged, even when not on the stand. I usually take out my hand-operated can opener when it did not work, but today was the last straw. My daughter took the hand-operated one to school, so I did not have any other backup. I was in the middle of dinner, and the piece of ** was dead again. I have had it. Tell Black and Decker to take this piece of crap and shove it up their collective asses!

Original review: March 6, 2008

I had a Black and Decker Hand Mixer MX78WS, and the gears striped. I called the company, and there is no way to get internal replacement parts.

These two cheap plastic gears cost apprxx. $1, and now I'll have to buy a new hand mixer for approx. $30. I will not ever buy any Black and Decker products again.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2008

My wife and I purchased a Black and Decker electric can opener from Sears, and this design is absolutely the poorest excuse for a can opener I have ever seen. It will not grasp can rims, peels labels into the can when it sometimes will open a can, if and when it even will do that--and is in general, junk.

Metal and label paper in contents of can, if and when it even grasps the can, and simply most of the time will not work at all, even as a brand new product.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2007

I was using the Black and Decker Quick and Easy Food Processor to grate cheese. The middle of the top where the pin holds the lid on just broke out and flew across the room. Then the lid came off and broke the plastic part that holds the lid on. The blade was still running because the part that cuts it off was still in the slot. I unplugged it quickly, but it could have turned into a disaster. I contacted Black and Decker about a replacement lid; I thought maybe it was just a bad part. They said they are out of stock. But, I may just throw it away and consider myself lucky I was not hurt.

I had just bought the food processor about a month before this happened and had used it twice. Of course I had a big mess to cleanup, but it could have been worse with the blade still turning and the lid gone.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2007

I bought one Black & Decker Vacuum Cleaner model VC2000 because I was thinking it was good product. I was wrong! After 3 months it was broken, and I went to service. Two weeks later the vacuum was broken again, and I went one more time to service. Now I've been waiting since 8/10/2007 because they are waiting for one part from Buenos Aires. It will be my last product that I buy with this name: BLACK & DECKER.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2003

I have a hand mixer--Power Pro 230 Watts, MX95 Type 1, designed to mix heavy foods. It works fine, except the beaters are so flimsy, they break. Fins on both beaters broke away from the beater stem, then one just fell completely apart. They were not made strong enough to do the job the mixer was designed to do.

I now have a mixer I can't use unless I hunt down new beaters, pay for new beaters, or buy a new mixer. Maybe I'll just buy another brand instead of Black & Decker.

Original review: July 23, 2003
I have a Black and Decker Rice cooker . Last night, as usual, I added the rice, water, covered, and turned the unit on. I went into the bedroom to use the computer. About 7 minutes later the smoke alarm and cat were going insane. I ran into the kitchen to see my rice cooker spewing black smoke and the smell of electrical fire was filling the entire apartment. I grabbed out the liner with the rice in it and slid the unit into the sink to contain the would-be fire.

Smoke damage in the apartment is the major damage. Had the smoke alarm and cat not reacted it's possible the cabinets could have caught fire.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2003

I purchased a Gizmo can opener, mounted the base under the cabinet and removed our old under cabinet can opener, charged the new one all week-end. When I tried to open a large can of coffee all it would do is puncture the can, but not walk around the can like it's advertised. I called customer service and was told it should open the large cans and to return it to the store, it may be defective. I returned it yesterday, brought home another one, charged it for 24 hours, same problem.

Now customer service says the coffee can may be too thick to open, I tried a gallon can of pickles, same thing, it doesn't work. It works ok on small cans, but not large ones.

As a result I have to remove the new can opener, and reinstall the old one.

Each trip to Wal-Mart is 20 miles round trip, 20 miles to purchase the first one, 20 miles to return the first one and get the second one, 20 miles to return the second one. 60 miles total.

Black & Decker Appliances Company Information