1.39/5

Black & Decker

Appliances

63 Black & Decker Appliances Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

In less than a year after I purchased a Black & Decker microwave oven, said oven quit working. I contacted Midea USA for warranty services. I followed their instructions to the letter to receive a refund. I was told that a form would arrive within 10 days for me to fill out for said refund. 12 days went by and no form. I called again and was told they would send another form. 7 or 8 days later I received the form. I filled it out and sent it to the appropriate address. On the form it said that merchandise refund requests are processed within 10 business days. 14 business days went by and no refund check. I called Midea and asked about status of refund and was told that it normally took 20 business days to process the request. I personally will never buy another Black & Decker product of any kind. Their products are no longer of any reasonable quality. My advise to any potential Black & Decker customer, buyer be extremely aware.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2015

I have a Black and Decker T0137SSD Toaster Oven and the Temperature Control Knob melted onto the shaft and is no longer working. There is no heat shield between the ovens thin wall and any of the control knobs, which concerns me. Also these knobs are made of plastic. From what I am reading they should be made of heat resistant phenolic to meet high temperature requirements.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2015

Part broke within 30 days and the company did not even answer phone. I was transferred a number of times to a never ending ringing tone, or left on hold for hours with the same tune replaying repeatedly. Torture to say the least. The company does not seem to support their kitchen products and leaves you out in the cold when you call for assistance. This happened more than once and every time I recalled and told them I had a problem with a kitchen product. The last time I called they gave me a number to call that was an infomercial about winning a cruise to the Bahamas and numerous products.

Original review: May 2, 2014

First day noticed the motor sounds laboring. It is making smoothies. I've had it for 5-months now. I like the price, glass pitcher and compact size. However the circular seal between pitcher and blade assembly broke. I found only one online site for replacement parts (only one seal left at $11). All parts are expensive compared to other brands (Oster - 22 seal). Why would the Black and Decker glass replacement pitcher cost more than buying a new blender? Doesn't Black and Decker sell replacement parts for their brand? When the seal broke my sugary milk mix seeped into all control buttons. A design with a hood could have protected buttons. Has this compromised the use too? I will not recommend this brand.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2013

I bought a Black & Decker chest freezer a little over 2 years ago (and yes haier also does black and decker). I came home from work one day to find my garage fully engulfed in smoke. I called the fire department and they determined the motor from the freezer started the fire, and had done over $5,000 worth of damage to my home. This was just over a year ago, and I am still fighting with them. I called the customer service line, talked to many reps, managers, agents, etc. After months of talks they put me thru to their insurance company, who contacted the manufacturer in China.

They denied my claim because I could not ship the freezer to China!!!! Never mind I had the fire report, pictures of the freezer where the fire started, and countless other documents to prove their freezer started the fire. This is disgusting! They just now sent me a replacement freezer, that was even smaller than the one I had. Then they had the audacity to send me a letter in the mail with a recall for my particular freezer that said unplug immediately it may ignite. Really? This had me to the boiling point. I am in search of an attorney. I know it's not much money to some, but it's a lot to me. I have to scrape every penny, and they should have to make this right. 5,000 is nothing to them. Sometimes it takes a mouse to bring down the mountain.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Black & Decker?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2013

Just bought this new coffee brewer 2 months ago. The unit is a bad design, it will dump brewing hot coffee all over the counter. This happens because the basket that holds the filter tilts as the urn is pushed into the maker. This has happened about 10 times. No matter how careful you are, it will still happen. I've had this happen on other brewers but that was because the basket had grounds in it and plugged up a small hole. This brewer is a complete bad design and will probably end up starting a fire.

Every time I use it, I'm really careful how I set it up to brew. It can make a real mess on my counter. There is no serial # on the unit, just BLACK AND DECKER'S NAME. I have bought the name Black and Decker since the '60s. Over the last 10 years, the quality has gotten worse and worse. You think the company would address these complaints, BUT IT LOOKS LIKE THEY ONLY CARE ABOUT THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR.

Original review: June 16, 2013

I purchased a B&D 32 volt cordless trimmer from a big box home improvement store. A few months later, I attempted to find a second battery for the unit as the charger is designed for two batteries. I discovered that the trimmer had been discontinued and B&D no longer manufactured (provided) batteries. I understand that certain models of equipment are discontinued but with cordless units, the batteries should be available for at least a couple of years. Batteries go bad and this makes the unit worthless. I contacted to B&D customer "service" and they were completely uninterested in helping. I would steer clear of B&D at all costs unless you have lots of extra money to throw away. BTW, the battery pack I have appears to be bad now after only two seasons.

Original review: June 3, 2013

I store my large electric skillet in the large pantry. I heard a loud boom and couldn't find what it was until making supper that night. I went into my pantry and glass was everywhere. The lid to the skillet was broken, lying in the skillet with glass everywhere. It just exploded into little pieces like a windshield.

Original review: June 1, 2013

I purchased a combination of tools with two 18 V batteries - what a piece of junk! The batteries will not charge after 30 days & all 5 tools that I have are useless without the batteries. I contacted Black & Decker and I spoke to used car sales person who wanted me to pay an additional $149.38 to repair the batteries. What a rip off this Black & Decker Company is! Black & Decker, to the best of my knowledge, is an American Company. Why do they have to dump this Made in China junk on the American consumer? I paid in good faith with American Dollars; I expect to get good quality American products. I don't want that Junk from China!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2013

Not long ago, I purchased the above-named can opener/knife sharpener/bottle opener. It is worthless. Takes anywhere from 6 tries to many more to seat the can so that the opener can do the job. I have thrown it in the trash and will replace it with a different brand. Please don't put this kind of trash on the market for unsuspecting people like me to waste their money on.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2012

My wife is carving the turkey as I'm writing this review. She hates this electric knife (Black & Decker electric knives), only because of the safety lock on the trigger. This knife is not user friendly for a left handed person. You have to use both hands just to start it each time.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2012

I bought my first B & D 12-cup adjustable brew strength coffeemaker a couple of years ago and after 6 months it wouldn't work. I had a house full of company and when I went to make coffee in the morning, the coffeemaker was dead - it wouldn't do anything. After several weeks of back and forth with Black & Decker, I was finally told to cut the plug off the cord and send it to them and they would send me a new one as it was still under warranty. Of course, I had bought a cheapie coffeemaker in the meantime.

I finally received a new one in the mail. It hasn't been a year yet and the same thing has happened. The element must be gone because all the lights and clock comes on, but it doesn't brew. Nothing. I am extremely dissatisfied with Black & Decker. I'm glad I kept my cheapie Sunbeam because that's what I'm using now. It's too bad because I really liked the coffeemaker. It looked good and made good coffee and for the price I thought I'd have many years of use from it. I will not be purchasing any more Black & Decker appliances.

Original review: July 16, 2012

Black and Decker SpaceMaker coffee maker rusted after 2 months. After many calls and hours on the phone with customer service, the only way they would replace the unit was to cut the cord and send it to them. It would also take at least 4-6 weeks to replace because they have none in stock anywhere in the US. So, I had to go out and buy another coffee maker in the interim. Black and Decker Space Saver toaster purchased at the same time just had door pull fall off. After 3 calls and hung up on twice, I got the same answer. They will replace the unit after I cut the cord and send it to them. Hence, I have to go out and buy another one till replacement arrives. Black and Decker quality has become so disappointing and the customer service even worse. I would sadly not recommend these products to anyone, in the future.

Original review: June 22, 2012

I have 4 B&D dustbusters. Every one of them has an electrical adapter that plugs into the house outlets. Every one of them is burned on the outside, and two of them are so hot that I can barely touch them. Can you say fire hazard? In attempting to contact B&D, I made four calls into their customer service line; and every time, I was hooked into a French-speaking person, whom I obviously could not understand. Once the French person got done speaking, I was hung up on. 45 minutes later, I actually got a person to talk to. This person was very good at taking my complaint and said they would send me new chargers. Well, at least he said he was going to send them. Time will tell.

My big complaint is the customer no-service that B&D made me go through for 45 minutes. I will be thinking twice before I purchase another one of their products, any of their products.

Original review: June 18, 2012

I purchased the B&D tabletop convection oven (Perfect Broil Convection Oven CTO4500S) at Macy's on 3/3/12 and it was shipped to me. The "timer" on the oven also doubles as the on/off switch. It is a spring loaded turn knob with directions to turn past the "20" minute mark, then turn back to the desired number of toasting minutes. This sets the timer and, when time is ended, serves to turn the oven off. With less than a month's use, the timer "sprung" - you could neither set the timer nor turn the oven on/off. I called B&D and they advised me to discontinue use and that they would send me a replacement oven.

I asked whether it was fair to assume that the replacement would also have this same defect and was told by the representative, Rebecca, that "we don't have any recall of this product". I was also told that I would receive a letter instructing me on disposal of the original oven. This phone call with B&D was on 4/27/12. I received the replacement oven on 5/2/12 and began use. I also packed the original oven for return. On 5/18/12, I re-contacted B&D and spoke with John. I told John that I had not received the letter instructing me on how to dispose of the original oven and asked him for direction. He confirmed that the letter had not been sent and it would be "soon". I have not received any instruction from B&D regarding disposal of the original oven as of this date (6/1812).

Original review: June 11, 2012

I own two Black & Decker mixers. The first, a MixPro Mx78W5 Type 1, just shut off. No noise, no anything. The second one my son bought me for Christmas last year to replace the first one. I was using it to make frosting for my grandson’s birthday cake when it made a weird noise and the beaters quit. It runs, but the beaters don't. I called several times the 800 number on the enclosed brochure. After 47 minutes the last time on hold, an automated voice came on to leave a message, still no answer after a couple of weeks. I just went to an “answer website” and they want $30 to answer my questions! These mixers have not been used more than two dozen or so times a piece. What is happening to standards? I just want to know if I can get either of these mixers fixed or replaced, and not give someone another 30 bucks for them to say, "Oh, well, that's your tough luck." Can anyone out there help me? I simply cannot afford to keep buying mixers!

Original review: May 23, 2012

I have had my Black and Decker blender for two or three years. I have used it a lot over the years but lately, I have been mixing up shakes in the blender. It is just milk, powder, and ice cubes. One day, I heard a noise and didn't know what it was. I poured my shake in a glass and drank it. My last gulp, I felt a sharp object in my mouth and here it was one of the four blades that had broken off of the blender! It didn't cut my mouth or go down my throat because I caught it in time but it was very dangerous and it scared me.

Original review: March 2, 2012

The mixer (PowerPro mixers 200 watts) is good and works good but the beaters fell apart. Every good woman needs a good mixer but it is no good if the beaters are no good. The mixer is no good to me. At the time I called, no one would help me get the beaters replaced. I have replaced it with another brand but I keep the mixer, hoping one day they might send me info about the beaters.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2012

I purchased the Mixer MX217 18 months or so ago. I was mixing up a cake mix and one of the beaters fell apart. It's a very poor design. The thin wires look to be soldered into tiny holes, really? I always trusted BD but the poor design of these beaters is making me rethink.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2011

I bought a waffle iron, which we only used twice in the month I had it from our local Walmart. I took the thing back after bolts or hinges broke and the Teflon was in our batter, which we consumed. I have been trying to get a hold of them via email and got nothing, then I have been trying for a week to get hold of them on the consumer service Department and they put me on hold, 1-800-231-9786. All I asked for was my $14.99 back and I will not pay $10.00 to ship it back to the company for repair.

Original review: June 30, 2010

I purchased the Black & Decker Cyclone 12-Speed Blender (938HA, TA001, WindHand, E218370). I purchased it because it was a Black & Decker. The first time I used it, it stopped working right after it started blending and wouldn't start back up. I tried everything. I emailed the address in the book that came with the blender and they emailed me and told me I would have to mail the cord, the receipt and $7.50 for shipping. I told them I didn't want to have to pay another $7.50 for a blender I paid $30 for and couldn't use. They waived that fee, but said I still needed the receipt. I didn't keep the receipt so I am out of luck.

Original review: March 14, 2010

I was cooking hamburgers in my skillet SKG610C when the glass cover blew up and completely shattered. It was very dangerous, it could have gone in my eye but I had just turned to do something else. I just want people to know how dangerous it is.

Original review: March 10, 2010

I've bought at Canadian Tire last summer (unfortunately I can't find my bill yet). I bought a blender: Black & Decker ProBlend 450 W 10-Speed Blender (the container is made of glass). I used it a couple of times. Last week, I was making a soup. When I poured some of the liquid with vegetables in it, suddenly it had cracked, just like that! It's not broken in pieces. It cracked. I can't use it anymore. I kept it so I can send it to you, because I'd like you to replace it please. I consider that the container of the blender should not crack that easily. It's made out of hard glass. I don't understand. Who should I send it to? Can I have a replacement please?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2009

I purchased Black & Decker Blender W.Mill BX 350 pc on 22/10/2009, after 10 days the big jag is leaking because of overheat of the engine bottom of blender blade seal is melt and little smoke came out from the main unit, we had given for service after one week B & D serviced the main jar and returned, when we used after service within 2 mins there is heavy smoke came out from main unit and switch off the power else it could blast and will damage severe injury also, now who is the responsible for this kind of service and low quality of meterial used in manufacturing the product, i called concerned dealer where i purchased, they ask me to bring and again they will send for service, same thing repeating not proper service, we put in complaint against the product that overheating the main unit. kindly look into the matter seriously, if you like to retention of customer.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2009

The element on the bottom of my electric skillet started shooting sparks and flames and partially melted.

Original review: July 9, 2009

I also purchased a Gizmo can opener at Sears on 12/28/2004. I have had trouble with it since day one. It was sometimes charged, and sometimes not; it was always in the charging stand. The reason I purchased the product was for convenience, and it's supposed to stay charged, even when not on the stand. I usually take out my hand-operated can opener when it did not work, but today was the last straw. My daughter took the hand-operated one to school, so I did not have any other backup. I was in the middle of dinner, and the piece of ** was dead again. I have had it. Tell Black and Decker to take this piece of crap and shove it up their collective **!

Original review: March 6, 2008

I had a Black and Decker Hand Mixer MX78WS, and the gears striped. I called the company, and there is no way to get internal replacement parts.

These two cheap plastic gears cost apprxx. $1, and now I'll have to buy a new hand mixer for approx. $30. I will not ever buy any Black and Decker products again.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2008

My wife and I purchased a Black and Decker electric can opener from Sears, and this design is absolutely the poorest excuse for a can opener I have ever seen. It will not grasp can rims, peels labels into the can when it sometimes will open a can, if and when it even will do that--and is in general, junk.

Metal and label paper in contents of can, if and when it even grasps the can, and simply most of the time will not work at all, even as a brand new product.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2007

I was using the Black and Decker Quick and Easy Food Processor to grate cheese. The middle of the top where the pin holds the lid on just broke out and flew across the room. Then the lid came off and broke the plastic part that holds the lid on. The blade was still running because the part that cuts it off was still in the slot. I unplugged it quickly, but it could have turned into a disaster. I contacted Black and Decker about a replacement lid; I thought maybe it was just a bad part. They said they are out of stock. But, I may just throw it away and consider myself lucky I was not hurt.

I had just bought the food processor about a month before this happened and had used it twice. Of course I had a big mess to cleanup, but it could have been worse with the blade still turning and the lid gone.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2007

I bought one Black & Decker Vacuum Cleaner model VC2000 because I was thinking it was good product. I was wrong! After 3 months it was broken, and I went to service. Two weeks later the vacuum was broken again, and I went one more time to service. Now I've been waiting since 8/10/2007 because they are waiting for one part from Buenos Aires. It will be my last product that I buy with this name: BLACK & DECKER.

Black & Decker Appliances Company Information