1.25/5
  • 1 star
Based on 103 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 15, 2017

131 Bissell Appliances Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: March 3, 2016

I went online to order parts for my 1189 floor sweeper. Found out online, had to have a US address, so called. Spoke to a woman with very poor English, corrected her mistakes several times. After 35 minutes on the phone placing the order, spelling the address, giving my card number going over and over everything, I was asked if my billing was the same as my delivery address, which it isn't as I am a snowbird with two houses, one in Florida and one in Canada. Then I was told I had to have the two addresses the same, stupid or what. I explained that this is impossible because my bank is in Canada where I live, for over 8 months of the year. Isn't it about time Bissell moved into the 21st century. I must admit after complaint for ever the supervisor sent me one of each item required free of charge, but that is not the point. I should have been able to order the parts required hassle free.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2016

OMG... I cannot believe that Bissell would make a product that is so inadequate. I found a lot wrong with this newly purchased item, Bissel Spot Clean. Larger brush, deep clean brush, sprays water... OUT THE SIDE OF THE BRUSH... not the bottom where it should go! When brush was change to smaller brush, it sprayed, but didn't pick up dirty water! Packaging looks great, but the quality of the product was very, very inadequate. Hopefully I can exchange it.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2015

I ordered replacement steam mop pads online and when I went to go check the status about a week or so later, it said it was cancelled. I didn't cancel the order! So I call the customer service line and they tell me that my card got declined. Funny, because I've been using my card a lot online at other retailers lately (Christmas stuff) and they are the only one with a problem. I asked if it was standard practice for the company to cancel an order and not notify the customer at all and they couldn't give me a straight answer. They also couldn't tell me why, if my card was declined, did the order supposedly originally go through and I be sent a confirmation e-mail. The guy just kept telling me he could he could place the order again but mind you, I had already been waiting a week and now I had to wait even longer because you guys decided to cancel the order without notifying me? Um, no.

Then he tried to offer me free regular shipping as some sort of consolation. Obviously he wasn't paying attention to the original order because I already had free shipping. Finally he offered expedited shipping but then, again because he wasn't paying attention to the original order, tried to charge me more than I had originally paid. Not going to happen. I told him that I had gotten a platinum member discount and used a promo code. He applied the member discount and then AGAIN tried to make me pay more. After telling him for the third time that I wasn't going to pay more than my original order he tells me that the only way he can apply another discount to my order is to sign me up for their stupid e-newsletter. By this point I'm super frustrated and just want my order placed so I agreed. I give him my card info, he says it went through and gives me an order number.

Exactly one week later I get a call from a female customer service rep to tell me that my order was cancelled AGAIN! No joke, without pausing at all she says to me, "I'm calling from Bissell, your order was cancelled, it doesn't say why, do you want me to place the order again?" "What do you mean you don't know why?" Granted I'm pleased to have at least gotten a phone call the second time but she never once apologized on behalf of the company. And when I asked again why the order was cancelled, she just said the system didn't say and she obviously had no intention of finding out the problem. Up until this happened I thought Bissell were pretty awesome. I have one of their carpet cleaners, steam mop, and SpotBot. I even convinced my mom to shell out for a SpotBot and told her to replace her Shark steam mop with one from Bissell. Now I'm going to tell her to run the other way as fast as she can.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2015

Bissell Pet Hair sweeper is crap. I bought this machine, paid 30 bucks hoping it would really work. I noticed the suction was low and it picked up very little pet hair. So I figured there was a problem and took it apart - BUT I couldn't put it back together again! I looked online to find "how to's" and there was nothing. More wasted money.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2015

I have made a huge mistake by subscribing to their newsletter. They kept bombarding me with emails. At first I clicked on unsubscribe which took me to their website but nothing happened and I found no forms to fill in and they kept sending me marketing emails. I filled in a contact form on their site asking them to stop sending me emails. I replied to one of their emails asking them to stop sending me emails. I clicked again on the unsubscribed button and followed the instructions and this time I filled in unsubscribe form. Nothing works, they are still sending me emails. I'm really fed up and I don't know who to turn to in order to stop them from spamming my mailbox.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bissell Appliances?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2015

I bought this vacuum two years ago. Used maybe 15 times at the most. It now won't run. It was great while it worked -- especially on pet stains. NOW, when I call it is out of warranty and they refer me to their service centers in my area. NONE of those service areas will work on this vacuum because it's not worth the price they charge. I SHOULD HAVE HAD IT REPLACED when I told them that. They just said it was out of warranty -- so basically good luck! Would never ever buy a Bissell product again.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2015

I bought a sweeper model 2402. I think it has several design problems that make it a product Bissell shouldn't be selling. The handle is so short that I have to bend to be able to use it. After 3 minutes, I had the worse back pain ever!! It doesn't pick up things like pet hair!! It makes like little rolls, and that's it!! So the carpet looks awful after you use it.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2015

I purchased this machine in April of 2015. Called to let customer service rep know my machine was not picking up in June I wanted to return it. Rep said it was too late for me to return but said he would send me a glider. Well I tried that still didn't pick up. Called back again, next rep informed me that we can troubleshoot the machine. I informed him "I received a product that is supposed to work, I should not have to troubleshoot anything and I just wanted to return this item."

He then informs me there are no returns after 60 days??!! Are you kidding me, what company doesn't believe in their product to have a warranty that covers it for at least a year?? I am so upset, paid $215 for this piece of crap, only used 3 times, and now they will not refund me my money. I will never buy a Bissell again. Next time Wal-Mart where I am guaranteed a refund with my receipt or at least a store credit towards something else. I am so upset at myself for not reading these reviews first!!!

Original review: July 25, 2015

I have the BISSELL PROHEAT DEEP CLEANER - the item I of well over $250 for. Does not clean. It barely even picks up!!! This thing just makes a lot of noise! I should have saved my money.

Original review: July 18, 2015

Have to go to service center an hr and a half away for inspection. Cord on 5 month old BISSELL vacuum completely shredded. I have no time for that so have to eat 100 cost. Should have just bought Wal-Mart 50.00 vacuum. I will never buy their products again. How dangerous.

Original review: June 4, 2015

Bissell cleanview multi cyclone for pets - Worse vacuum ever. Worked the first few times, maybe two!! Cleaned it three times because every time it's used, dirt pours out, and pet hair. A piece of junk. My $200 could have been on something better!

Original review: March 7, 2015

Bissell steam cleaner 94e9-t - This is the second mop purchased that has not lasted. Unit stops producing steam. Small appliance repairman could not help. Maybe inexpensive item in relation to others on the market, but now that I have had to buy two in less than three years, it's not so economical.... surprising lack of quality for Bissell product. I hope the neighbors ask why I put it in the trash!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2015

Bissell little green machine pro heat 1425-1 - This has been working for me for years now but this morning 1-28-2015 while I was using my machine the part which sucks the solution out of the carpet broke on the plastic part that meets the floor handle. Upon contacting the Bissell company to get a replacement part so I can repair they state to me that they do not sell parts for consumer repair but I will have to go to one of their authorized dealers which is farther than 50 miles away from me or purchase a new machine. The repair cost $99 + the cost of the part and does not include the cost for labor and gas to get to and from the repair facility altogether is far more than I paid for my machine. The machine cleans well but suction hose is not long enough, power cord not long enough and with their poor customer service, not a happy camper.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2014

Had my Bissell about 4 years, all of a sudden, one day it was working, the next day it wouldn't spray the water or shampoo solution. Called Bissell customer service, got someone who spoke "broken English" that I could barely understand. Followed their instructions to try and clear the problem, got nowhere, nothing resolved. Tried working on it myself the next day, still no luck. Called back to Bissell customer service, went thru the same junk, no results. Was referred to a Bissell service, found one in my area. He was very rude and unprofessional. Gave him my Bissell on Nov 17th. He never called me until I reported him to the Bissell company. He gave me my Bissell back on December 3rd, stating it was irreparable but he didn't know what was wrong with it. I picked it up, took it to another dealer and they told me Bissells are "irreparable". I believe them. Now I'm stuck with a dirty carpet for the Christmas Holidays. I'll never buy another Bissell!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2014

Absolutely the WORST vacuum I have ever owned. The design is so bad that it clogs up around the filter and nothing makes it down into the canister. I have to use a wire hanger to reach up in the tiny space around the filter to pull the dirt from around it. Definitely not designed for pet hair. By the time I am done vacuuming, my entire front it dirt from messing with it and the floor is still not clean because it clogs in a matter of a few minutes. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS MACHINE!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2014

I purchased a carpet cleaner from Bissell some years ago, Model 1640-4. It is in excellent condition and very usable, but they quit making the foam filters for it. I have searched and searched and they are just not available, all websites say discontinued. I find it quite unfortunate that they sold an expensive cleaner like mine was when new and then quit making the foam filters for it. It seems such a simple item for them to continue to make. I can understand discontinuing other seldom used parts, but the filter is a consumable.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2014

I purchased the Bissell clean view multi cyclonic model, wouldn't turn back on after 3 uses! Tried to return it the store, they said I MUST go through Bissell. Nothing came of it. Bissell did nothing for me. Fixed it professionally myself, broke down AGAIN a week later. CHUNK OF GARBAGE, worst money ever spent.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2014

Bissell vacuum 22c1-2 helix - Vacuum cleaner quit working after 30 minutes of use, brand new machine couldn't find receipt, received as Christmas gift from bed bath and beyond. Bissell refused to warrant product. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. Bissell does not stand behind product. Even Bissell service center told me to stay away from bissell and they service them, told me the absolute MOST you can expect out of a bissell machine is 2 years. They recommended Hoover, put Bissell on the bottom of bottoms even below Dirt Devil.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2014

I just purchased the Bissell Helix Rewind and I'm constantly getting debris wrapped around the top filter and my baflezz container. Isn't even full. I don't know why or how to stop this from happening. Doesn't seem as if it's working properly!! SO FRUSTRATED!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2014

Bissell Multi Cyclonic bagless vacuum cleaner clogs up in the hose and stops cleaning. It constantly overheats and stops working. Worst vacuum I have ever had.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2014

Powerforce Compact - After 2 months of having this vacuum the brush wheel melted and was unable to be used. Fortunately it still fell under the warranty from the store so they replaced the vacuum. Now it has happened again and we contacted the Bissell customer service and they refused to help with their product breaking down and replacing the part. They wanted to charge for part replacement for something less than 2 months old. The "service" representative was extremely rude and when asked to get a supervisor, the call was put on hold for 5 minutes only for the same representative to come back on and say that the supervisor was unavailable.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2014

I bought my Bissell Proheat pet shampooer and did my stairs with the attachment, worked great (7 stairs) then I went to use the main brush. I didn't even manage to empty the tank shampooing my living room before the belt broke. Not only did it break, but it somehow got sucked into the machine and caused it to burn up. I have a party Saturday, so you best believe I'm returning it, since I've had it only 4 days, and renting a rug doctor! P.S. the attachments don't fit properly where they are meant to be stored on it either, very annoying, they fall as soon as it moves.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2014

I have owned several Bissell Pro Heat x2 carpet cleaners - honestly they are pieces of crap. I bought the first one from Sam's Club. It quit working after 1 1/2 years. I returned it to Sam's and received a new one. It quit working after about 2 years, I took it back and received a 3rd one. At this time Sam's informed me that they would no longer accept returns after a 3 month period unless I purchased the extended warranty, which I declined. The 3 machine lasted for about 3 years (the length of the extended warranty) then it caught on fire while I was using it. The motor pretty much exploded.

I called Bissell customer service and waited on hold for about 45 min. When someone came on the line the only thing that she would offer is the name and number of a certified service center. I explained to her (again) that the motor exploded causing a fire! She then put me on hold for the second time. I was on the phone with them for a total of 55 min. They offered me nothing. Pretty much told me sorry about your luck.

Original review: July 21, 2014

My Bissell power brush pet cleaner broke in less than half a year. I have taken it apart three times already to fix it from water coming out on its own. Soapy water from clean tank will not stop coming out. They are made cheap. Don't buy a Bissell.

Original review: July 3, 2014

I wrote two letters to Bissell, received a call from one rep. who was rather abrasive, however, after she realized she was wrong and I encouraged her to apologized she did most sincerely. When I saw this problem was not going to have a satisfactory resolution, other than offering me a new attachment, when it also was not going to have stainless steel screws, I asked to speak to the next level. His name was Razo and he was not available, so he was to call me the next day; but I never heard from him. The next week I called him and held for 15 minutes and gave up, because he never came on the phone. I wrote another message to Bissell through the Executive Office included photos of the rusty screws I replaced. I received a call from Razo and he sounded more impressed with the way he spoke (like he was doing a voice over) than wanting to resolve this problem.

As I explained, he would dismiss my concerns adding the age of the unit to being the fault, (as I remind him, it was not how long I had had the device, however, it should be more of a concern of how many times I have used it). He agreed giving me incidences of his on personal usages. As he was moderating but it was more like patronizing me, however and this is the bottom line. I had to remove myself from this most lengthy and frustrating conversation when he said that stainless screws rust. Here is where I found his comment either made up, or if the "engineers," had told him to tell me this, as I asked him straight away. I found it most insulting and severed interest in this ineffective discussion. I have furthered my research and yes, poor quality "stainless," so to speak, screws, will rust, however these are NOT stainless. The last thing you want is a devise that shoots out water and soap and is held on with rusting screws which goes right on to a cream colored carpet.

Original review: June 18, 2014

BISSELL LITTLE GREEN PROHEAT TURBO BRUSH MODEL 1425-1 - Unfortunately purchased this product and after about 15 or 20 uses the attachment brush was no longer working. Spent money and replaced that after about another 15 uses - the hose would no longer spray out water. The tank also leaked. When I tried to contact Bissell the rep was hard to communicate with. She also tried to rush me through troubleshooting and then tried to sell me a part that had nothing to do with the problem. Bissell would not replace the product due to life of warranty had run out. (Like I said DID get much use. It's not like I needed to use it weekly)

Anyways a family member of mine had the exact same experience with this product. I also notice so have a lot of other people. The majority of good reviews I have seen recently on this product is from people that haven't used it long and are excited about it. It works great at first but will not last. Highly do not recommend. Bissell should be hanging their heads in shame that they put this ** out!! I guess at the end of the day they only see dollar signs. They don't seem to care that they putting junk out there for trusting consumers to buy!!

Original review: June 5, 2014

Do not buy this product. It works for a little while and then breaks down. I even called customer service and they would not help me. They said there's nothing they can do. Therefore, they do not stand beside their product.

Original review: May 30, 2014

We bought a regular Bissell shampoo machine a few years ago and the part that holds the handle up broke within a few uses. So when we decided to replace it we decided to buy a more expensive one with hopes that it would last longer. We bought the lift off, Pet two years a ago and used it one time. We tried to use it, for the second time last week. When we turned it on the water tank leaked all over the floor.

Although the website says a 3 year warranty they told me that it only has a 2 year warranty. Seriously why warrant a machine for such a short period of time, when it is likely only going to get used maybe once or twice in that period of time. You can rent a machine for $50. If you have to pay almost $250 for this machine you are paying that for a one time use. Save yourself the $200 and rent one!

Original review: April 11, 2014

I bought a steam mop deluxe 3in1 and it didn't work well. It left the floor soaking wet and didn't steam hardly at all and if you hit the button to Steam just made your floors even wetter. So I returned it within a week with everything down to the bubble wrap and now two months later after they got it 3 days after I returned it I still haven't got my refund. I've called several times. They insist that they put it through and every time I call I have to wait another 3 to 4 weeks. Another 3 to 4 weeks will make it three to four months to get MY MONEY back and nobody is helping me and they're just messing around. I think they're lying and I think they're trying to rip people off and their product was junk... I just want my money back!!

Original review: April 5, 2014

They put out JUNK. I bought a Bissell Pro Pet Carpet Cleaner and the brushes did not work right out of the box. I contacted them and after several emails, they sent me replacement brushes. They did not work. After SEVERAL angry emails to them, they sent me a new carpet cleaner which does work. I really don't think I should have to fight with a company for them to honor their warranty and I was not going to take the brand new machine to one of the "warranty centers" so they can tell me the parts are not under the warranty. I will NEVER buy another Bissell product since all they do is produce junk.

Bissell Appliances Company Information