1.23/5
Based on 111 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

138 Bissell Appliances Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 16, 2016

This is the third shampooer I've had in 2 years. The same thing happens. Front pops off, stops suckin water, stops spraying. I'm fed up and want to be refunded or get another one. Or maybe you should fix the problem. Several friends tell me they have same problems.

Original review: July 2, 2016

The ProHeat Pet, this so advanced deep cleaning system carpet cleaner was given to us as a gift. We used it one time, and thought it left the carpets pretty wet. We did our late spring into summer cleaning and decided to do the carpets again, however, this it basically just soaked the carpet and did not pull any water out! I would not recommend this to anyone that has a nice carpet, especially with a thick pad underneath.

Original review: June 7, 2016

I bought two Bissell Ready Clean at the same time. One for the upper level and one for the lower level. Used the second cleaner one time, put it away properly and then did not need it for several months. Took it out today to use and the cleaner leaks the whole tank full of fluid into one location. Tried customer service. Failure and any costs related to the repair are on me because it's older than a year even though it's been used once.

I am an engineer, so I thought how hard can this be. Took the O-ring out at the seat of the tank and replace. Still leaking. Opened and checked hoses, all clear, but there is a crack in the main line. No fixing this except with perhaps some industrial strength glue and then no guarantee. Money wasted. Might just as well rent a cleaner from a local "rental" place as the other unit has worn out as well after only a few uses. It might be a hassle to pick up and return, but at least they guarantee the unit. And by the time you figure out the cost to purchase your own and your time, not worth the money; or better yet, call someone to clean the carpet if you can afford it and use spot cleaner in between!

Original review: June 5, 2016

Previously we had a Hoover steam mop with dual tanks. It lasted about a year. We replaced it with a Bissell Powerfresh which was supposed to be the best. It also lasted about a year. It appears that none of the steam mops are made to last very long! They are now all made in China and don't seem to be made cheaply and to not operate for very long! We advise that all should stay away from cheaply made appliances that are made in foreign countries!!!

Original review: May 31, 2016

Comment: I had purchased a Bissell Powerlifter Pet Vac about a year ago. Model Number: 1309, Serial Number: 15019101E. It worked great and picked up a lot of pet hair. The Febreze scent was nice. It worked fine till about a month ago. We noticed it wasn't picking up the dirt and hair. It was spitting it back out. We checked the filters, the bottom one was a little dirty so we replaced it. It still wasn't working right so we thought it was the belt. We took it apart to replace the belt and it was just sitting there and wasn't connected. We replaced it and the belt wouldn't stay on the metal piece. After checking it further, it looked like the housing was melted.

I called Bissell, they said to take it to a Bissell Service Center. It had been a few weeks, so I called them. They said the vacuum housing is melted and the motor is rusted. They said it would have been caused by moisture and warranty wouldn't cover it, they also said it could not be repaired. I only had this vacuum for a year and now I have to buy another one. It should last longer than a year, since it cost $100. We used it daily to pick up dirt and hair. Normal usage should not cause it to break. Obviously there is an issue with this vacuum. We do not vacuum over anything wet so I don't understand where moisture would come from.

We are very upset and now have to come up with money to buy another vacuum, when we have been without a working vacuum for several weeks now. This is not an acceptable way to run a company. What's the point of a warranty when it won't cover anything? This issue should be covered by warranty when we didn't cause the problem. This vacuum is defective. Vacuums should not have to be replaced every year. I contacted Bissell right away. They said they would check into this problem. I never heard a response from them. They don't seem to care once the product is purchased.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bissell Appliances?

Original review: April 14, 2016

I purchased our Pro-heat Pet February 10, 2015. Costing $143.00. The serial # UDC89108141761546... my family has used this maybe 6 times since purchase and now it is in the shop. We were told the unit has a leak in dirty water tubes or tank and the pump is not working and will not spray, and that if the pump was fixed it would leak dirty water all over. I am not happy about this situation at all... I called your customer service dept. and was given an ID number to give to repair shop and the shop was told that your company was not responsible and that I had to pay for the repairs... So first?? Why an ID number if you're not paying for it?? Second?? Why am I having to have this in the shop to begin with?? Why should people continue buying your products and they do not last more than 14 months... I am very dissatisfied!! And now stuck with repairing it or buying a new unit!!! Not happy at all.

Original review: March 8, 2016

I have the CleanView Complete pet, and the only thing I like is the auto cord. After 7 uses it does not have any suction. It's not worth the money. I paid 170.00 for my vacuum and I am done. We have taken apart, cleaned it and nothing... They should not be allowed to sell their products. Never again.

Original review: March 3, 2016

I went online to order parts for my 1189 floor sweeper. Found out online, had to have a US address, so called. Spoke to a woman with very poor English, corrected her mistakes several times. After 35 minutes on the phone placing the order, spelling the address, giving my card number going over and over everything, I was asked if my billing was the same as my delivery address, which it isn't as I am a snowbird with two houses, one in Florida and one in Canada. Then I was told I had to have the two addresses the same, stupid or what. I explained that this is impossible because my bank is in Canada where I live, for over 8 months of the year. Isn't it about time Bissell moved into the 21st century. I must admit after complaint for ever the supervisor sent me one of each item required free of charge, but that is not the point. I should have been able to order the parts required hassle free.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2016

OMG... I cannot believe that Bissell would make a product that is so inadequate. I found a lot wrong with this newly purchased item, Bissel Spot Clean. Larger brush, deep clean brush, sprays water... OUT THE SIDE OF THE BRUSH... not the bottom where it should go! When brush was change to smaller brush, it sprayed, but didn't pick up dirty water! Packaging looks great, but the quality of the product was very, very inadequate. Hopefully I can exchange it.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2015

I ordered replacement steam mop pads online and when I went to go check the status about a week or so later, it said it was cancelled. I didn't cancel the order! So I call the customer service line and they tell me that my card got declined. Funny, because I've been using my card a lot online at other retailers lately (Christmas stuff) and they are the only one with a problem. I asked if it was standard practice for the company to cancel an order and not notify the customer at all and they couldn't give me a straight answer. They also couldn't tell me why, if my card was declined, did the order supposedly originally go through and I be sent a confirmation e-mail. The guy just kept telling me he could he could place the order again but mind you, I had already been waiting a week and now I had to wait even longer because you guys decided to cancel the order without notifying me? Um, no.

Then he tried to offer me free regular shipping as some sort of consolation. Obviously he wasn't paying attention to the original order because I already had free shipping. Finally he offered expedited shipping but then, again because he wasn't paying attention to the original order, tried to charge me more than I had originally paid. Not going to happen. I told him that I had gotten a platinum member discount and used a promo code. He applied the member discount and then AGAIN tried to make me pay more. After telling him for the third time that I wasn't going to pay more than my original order he tells me that the only way he can apply another discount to my order is to sign me up for their stupid e-newsletter. By this point I'm super frustrated and just want my order placed so I agreed. I give him my card info, he says it went through and gives me an order number.

Exactly one week later I get a call from a female customer service rep to tell me that my order was cancelled AGAIN! No joke, without pausing at all she says to me, "I'm calling from Bissell, your order was cancelled, it doesn't say why, do you want me to place the order again?" "What do you mean you don't know why?" Granted I'm pleased to have at least gotten a phone call the second time but she never once apologized on behalf of the company. And when I asked again why the order was cancelled, she just said the system didn't say and she obviously had no intention of finding out the problem. Up until this happened I thought Bissell were pretty awesome. I have one of their carpet cleaners, steam mop, and SpotBot. I even convinced my mom to shell out for a SpotBot and told her to replace her Shark steam mop with one from Bissell. Now I'm going to tell her to run the other way as fast as she can.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2015

Bissell Pet Hair sweeper is crap. I bought this machine, paid 30 bucks hoping it would really work. I noticed the suction was low and it picked up very little pet hair. So I figured there was a problem and took it apart - BUT I couldn't put it back together again! I looked online to find "how to's" and there was nothing. More wasted money.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2015

I have made a huge mistake by subscribing to their newsletter. They kept bombarding me with emails. At first I clicked on unsubscribe which took me to their website but nothing happened and I found no forms to fill in and they kept sending me marketing emails. I filled in a contact form on their site asking them to stop sending me emails. I replied to one of their emails asking them to stop sending me emails. I clicked again on the unsubscribed button and followed the instructions and this time I filled in unsubscribe form. Nothing works, they are still sending me emails. I'm really fed up and I don't know who to turn to in order to stop them from spamming my mailbox.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2015

I bought this vacuum two years ago. Used maybe 15 times at the most. It now won't run. It was great while it worked -- especially on pet stains. NOW, when I call it is out of warranty and they refer me to their service centers in my area. NONE of those service areas will work on this vacuum because it's not worth the price they charge. I SHOULD HAVE HAD IT REPLACED when I told them that. They just said it was out of warranty -- so basically good luck! Would never ever buy a Bissell product again.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2015

I bought a sweeper model 2402. I think it has several design problems that make it a product Bissell shouldn't be selling. The handle is so short that I have to bend to be able to use it. After 3 minutes, I had the worse back pain ever!! It doesn't pick up things like pet hair!! It makes like little rolls, and that's it!! So the carpet looks awful after you use it.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2015

I purchased this machine in April of 2015. Called to let customer service rep know my machine was not picking up in June I wanted to return it. Rep said it was too late for me to return but said he would send me a glider. Well I tried that still didn't pick up. Called back again, next rep informed me that we can troubleshoot the machine. I informed him "I received a product that is supposed to work, I should not have to troubleshoot anything and I just wanted to return this item."

He then informs me there are no returns after 60 days??!! Are you kidding me, what company doesn't believe in their product to have a warranty that covers it for at least a year?? I am so upset, paid $215 for this piece of crap, only used 3 times, and now they will not refund me my money. I will never buy a Bissell again. Next time Wal-Mart where I am guaranteed a refund with my receipt or at least a store credit towards something else. I am so upset at myself for not reading these reviews first!!!

Original review: July 25, 2015

I have the BISSELL PROHEAT DEEP CLEANER - the item I of well over $250 for. Does not clean. It barely even picks up!!! This thing just makes a lot of noise! I should have saved my money.

Original review: July 18, 2015

Have to go to service center an hr and a half away for inspection. Cord on 5 month old BISSELL vacuum completely shredded. I have no time for that so have to eat 100 cost. Should have just bought Wal-Mart 50.00 vacuum. I will never buy their products again. How dangerous.

Original review: June 4, 2015

Bissell cleanview multi cyclone for pets - Worse vacuum ever. Worked the first few times, maybe two!! Cleaned it three times because every time it's used, dirt pours out, and pet hair. A piece of junk. My $200 could have been on something better!

Original review: March 7, 2015

Bissell steam cleaner 94e9-t - This is the second mop purchased that has not lasted. Unit stops producing steam. Small appliance repairman could not help. Maybe inexpensive item in relation to others on the market, but now that I have had to buy two in less than three years, it's not so economical.... surprising lack of quality for Bissell product. I hope the neighbors ask why I put it in the trash!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2015

Bissell little green machine pro heat 1425-1 - This has been working for me for years now but this morning 1-28-2015 while I was using my machine the part which sucks the solution out of the carpet broke on the plastic part that meets the floor handle. Upon contacting the Bissell company to get a replacement part so I can repair they state to me that they do not sell parts for consumer repair but I will have to go to one of their authorized dealers which is farther than 50 miles away from me or purchase a new machine. The repair cost $99 + the cost of the part and does not include the cost for labor and gas to get to and from the repair facility altogether is far more than I paid for my machine. The machine cleans well but suction hose is not long enough, power cord not long enough and with their poor customer service, not a happy camper.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2014

Had my Bissell about 4 years, all of a sudden, one day it was working, the next day it wouldn't spray the water or shampoo solution. Called Bissell customer service, got someone who spoke "broken English" that I could barely understand. Followed their instructions to try and clear the problem, got nowhere, nothing resolved. Tried working on it myself the next day, still no luck. Called back to Bissell customer service, went thru the same junk, no results. Was referred to a Bissell service, found one in my area. He was very rude and unprofessional. Gave him my Bissell on Nov 17th. He never called me until I reported him to the Bissell company. He gave me my Bissell back on December 3rd, stating it was irreparable but he didn't know what was wrong with it. I picked it up, took it to another dealer and they told me Bissells are "irreparable". I believe them. Now I'm stuck with a dirty carpet for the Christmas Holidays. I'll never buy another Bissell!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2014

Absolutely the WORST vacuum I have ever owned. The design is so bad that it clogs up around the filter and nothing makes it down into the canister. I have to use a wire hanger to reach up in the tiny space around the filter to pull the dirt from around it. Definitely not designed for pet hair. By the time I am done vacuuming, my entire front it dirt from messing with it and the floor is still not clean because it clogs in a matter of a few minutes. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS MACHINE!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2014

I purchased a carpet cleaner from Bissell some years ago, Model 1640-4. It is in excellent condition and very usable, but they quit making the foam filters for it. I have searched and searched and they are just not available, all websites say discontinued. I find it quite unfortunate that they sold an expensive cleaner like mine was when new and then quit making the foam filters for it. It seems such a simple item for them to continue to make. I can understand discontinuing other seldom used parts, but the filter is a consumable.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2014

I purchased the Bissell clean view multi cyclonic model, wouldn't turn back on after 3 uses! Tried to return it the store, they said I MUST go through Bissell. Nothing came of it. Bissell did nothing for me. Fixed it professionally myself, broke down AGAIN a week later. CHUNK OF GARBAGE, worst money ever spent.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2014

Bissell vacuum 22c1-2 helix - Vacuum cleaner quit working after 30 minutes of use, brand new machine couldn't find receipt, received as Christmas gift from bed bath and beyond. Bissell refused to warrant product. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. Bissell does not stand behind product. Even Bissell service center told me to stay away from bissell and they service them, told me the absolute MOST you can expect out of a bissell machine is 2 years. They recommended Hoover, put Bissell on the bottom of bottoms even below Dirt Devil.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2014

I just purchased the Bissell Helix Rewind and I'm constantly getting debris wrapped around the top filter and my baflezz container. Isn't even full. I don't know why or how to stop this from happening. Doesn't seem as if it's working properly!! SO FRUSTRATED!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2014

Bissell Multi Cyclonic bagless vacuum cleaner clogs up in the hose and stops cleaning. It constantly overheats and stops working. Worst vacuum I have ever had.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2014

Powerforce Compact - After 2 months of having this vacuum the brush wheel melted and was unable to be used. Fortunately it still fell under the warranty from the store so they replaced the vacuum. Now it has happened again and we contacted the Bissell customer service and they refused to help with their product breaking down and replacing the part. They wanted to charge for part replacement for something less than 2 months old. The "service" representative was extremely rude and when asked to get a supervisor, the call was put on hold for 5 minutes only for the same representative to come back on and say that the supervisor was unavailable.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2014

I bought my Bissell Proheat pet shampooer and did my stairs with the attachment, worked great (7 stairs) then I went to use the main brush. I didn't even manage to empty the tank shampooing my living room before the belt broke. Not only did it break, but it somehow got sucked into the machine and caused it to burn up. I have a party Saturday, so you best believe I'm returning it, since I've had it only 4 days, and renting a rug doctor! P.S. the attachments don't fit properly where they are meant to be stored on it either, very annoying, they fall as soon as it moves.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2014

I have owned several Bissell Pro Heat x2 carpet cleaners - honestly they are pieces of crap. I bought the first one from Sam's Club. It quit working after 1 1/2 years. I returned it to Sam's and received a new one. It quit working after about 2 years, I took it back and received a 3rd one. At this time Sam's informed me that they would no longer accept returns after a 3 month period unless I purchased the extended warranty, which I declined. The 3 machine lasted for about 3 years (the length of the extended warranty) then it caught on fire while I was using it. The motor pretty much exploded.

I called Bissell customer service and waited on hold for about 45 min. When someone came on the line the only thing that she would offer is the name and number of a certified service center. I explained to her (again) that the motor exploded causing a fire! She then put me on hold for the second time. I was on the phone with them for a total of 55 min. They offered me nothing. Pretty much told me sorry about your luck.

Bissell Appliances Company Information