A. O. Smith Water Heaters

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

A. O. Smith Water Heaters Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about A. O. Smith Water Heaters?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about A. O. Smith?

Original review: April 25, 2022

This is our 3 water heater that was professionally installed and cleared by the City I live in. I had a issue with the pilet staying lit and was asked to send in photos. Once I called back later in the day and told them it went out again and I wanted my money back they decided to try and tell me that it was not installed properly and that there was nothing they could do. Now how is it that a inspector passed the install but now that a want my money back the voice on the phone wants to tell me it's not installed correctly. This company is a joke.

Original review: April 24, 2022

Bought new. Hooked up. Didn't work. Call customer service and they tell me I have to pay for a plumber. Long story short it was a bad element. Somehow someone put an old element in brand new heater. Customer care like not our problem.

Get buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2022

My wife read the reviews after I purchased it and I thought it was just folks whining. No sir, every one of the complaints is true; can't get a hold of them, product didn't work from the start, their pool of warranty plumbers is limited to 1 and they only service the areas where you don't live. Can't believe Lowe's buys this brand because they are also going to lose my business over the way they handle returns.

Original review: April 13, 2022

Our water heater went out so we went to lowes and decided on the AO smith 50 gallon digital. We did not want a digital one due to things going wrong on those more often. But we really didn’t have a choice, that’s all Lowe's had in the gallon size we needed. We installed. No problem. (We installed our last one as well.) Turned the power on to it and error 4 came up. No hot water either. We call customer service and tell them what’s going on and they basically tell us it was our fault. They said we must have turned on the power before the tank was full and dry fired it. That’s impossible because we know better. We made sure it was completely full and no air was in the lines. They told us to go to lowes and get new elements and they would be free because it’s brand new.

Lowes looked at me like I was stupid and said they have never heard of that before. So I had to pay for those out of pocket. We drained the tank and replaced those and refilled it again. Flipped on the power and guess what! No hot water and error code. I call back customer service and after several hang ups from their end and 2 hours later, they told us to go get 2 more elements. We did that and repeated the process, no hot water again. They gave me a number to a tech (in our area) so I called. He’s not in our area after all so no one can come service it either.

After that they decided to give us a return authorization number to return to lowes. Only problem is... this brand is all lowes has. Also, lowes is no help whatsoever. If they're going to sell a product, then they should stand behind it. Lesson learned, next time just pay the install to be done by lowes, that way they're on the hook if something goes wrong. Very very disappointed in both AO smith and lowes!!

Original review: March 30, 2022

Do not EVER buy a water heater from AO Smith. They do NOT honor their warranty, and are IMPOSSIBLE TO reach! I bought a top-of-the line AO Smith heater from Lowe's less than 2 years ago, with a 12-year warranty. Even though it is barely used, the heating element went bad in it 2 months ago. Trying to contact AO Smith on the phone means being on hold for HOURS. Their nearest service tech is over 100 miles away and will not come to my house to service the heater. He did offer to send me the part and get it installed by a local plumber - but wanted $40 to ship it! This is a $20 part at Home Depot.

After numerous attempts at phone calls to them, I emailed AO Smith’s “Customer Service”. They refuse to send me the replacement part or even discuss the matter over email, insisting I have to call them. Well, after over two hours on hold AGAIN I gave up, and ordered the part from Home Depot. I’ll be leaving this review of their products and “service” on every online forum. Spread the word: Do not EVER buy a AO Smith water heater!!

Original review: March 13, 2022

Purchased a 50-gallon AO Smith electric hot water heater at Lowes. This heater was for my daughter. Had to replace the thermostat and elements in less than 30 days as the thermostat was stuck. Not only did she have this problem but the heater made her water "greasy." She started noticing a film in her sink and every time she would wash her hair it felt oily. I sent an email to the company on March 3, 2022 showing my purchase receipt and the receipts for the repairs along with a picture of a burned-out element. Almost two weeks later and no reply from the company. Two months and over $600 wasted, I purchased and installed another brand and the "greasy" problem went away immediately.

Original review: March 10, 2022

I took my heater element back to Lowes after less than 30 days of use and the guy took one look at it and waved his hand and said "we're not taking that back". Then he turned around and walked away.??? He didn't even ask me anything, didn't let me explain anything and offered no help whatsoever. Should I purchase a new hot water heater...every year??? What is the problem with customer service? I know my hot water heater should be under warranty? Now I'm on hold with A.O. Smith for the second time, (they hung up on me but not without making me wait for 30 minutes). Service guy from A.O. Smith was a little helpful when I did get to talk to him. I never asked for warranty issues, I don't expect that after reading the reviews.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

Purchased a tankless water heater about 13 months ago from Lowe's. After about a month error code e2 started flashing, customer service told us to turn the breakers off than on. That worked for a while now error code e4 is flashing heats no water, and AO Smith won't even send a technician out because I live too far away. And Lowe's won't do anything till the manufacturer warranty is up. I would definitely not recommend this product.

Resolution response: March 9, 2022

A.O. Smith eventually called me back and authorized a reimbursement. In the end, they did stand behind the product.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

My 5-month old A. O. Smith water heater (50-gallon. natural gas ProLine) stopped working last week. The pilot light couldn't be restarted and the status light was dead. The 6-year warranty is a farce, as there are no plumbing services in my area authorized to provide warranty service. I wasted hours calling every plumber A. O. Smith told me to call. None of them would work on my water heater because I was too far away from all of them.

(I'm in a heavily populated area of NJ about 20 miles from NYC.) A. O. Smith Support told me they couldn't update the database to correct the bad information, and they couldn't do much for me other than authorize the shipment of replacement parts once the defective part was identified. They would not cover my own plumber's labor charge. So I'm out hundreds of dollars in labor to my local plumber because A. O. Smith couldn't provide an authorized plumber to work on it. Not cool. These water heaters are expensive, and they may have been reliable at one time, but they're not reliable anymore, and the customer support is horrible.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

I purchase a new in the box AO Smith water heater on 2/14/2022. I installed it in one of our properties the same day. Discovered that the water heater did not have a relief valve in the box. I called customer service the next day. I was told that they would send me the valve the next day by next day air. I was told after getting my email that I could track the order. The next day I realized that I never received an email and started to call customer service. My wife and I left many call backs number and she was never called back. No other vendors had the type of pop off valve that this model required. Now I must replaced this already installed heater with another heater. It will not be an AO SMITH brand. The pop off valve was never in the box. They sold a product that was useless the moment it left them. This business is not HONEST

A. O. Smith author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Sold exclusively by plumbing wholesalers and plumbing contractors, A. O. Smith offers a broad range of residential and commercial water heaters, boilers and storage tanks. They have delivered hot water solutions to consumers for over 70 years.

• Types: A. O. Smith offers a wide range of residential and commercial water heaters. People looking for a residential water heater can choose from multiple options including gas, electric, tankless, hybrid or solar. The gas units range in capacity from 30-98 gallons while electric units range in capacity from 19.9-80 gallons.

• Remote monitoring: iCOMM Elite is A. O. Smith’s remote monitoring technology for commercial water heaters. It allows them to interact with, monitor and manage commercial water heaters. This minimizes down time for repairs which lessens the time a business is without hot water.

• Vertex water heater: The Vertex water heater was designed by A. O. Smith to have a lower manufacturing cost and save consumers a significant amount of money in energy costs. It comes in a 50-gallon power-direct vent model and a 75-gallon power-direct vent model. It has improved thermal efficiency and is easily installed.

• Product selector tool: For consumers unsure of which water heater to buy, A. O. Smith provides an interactive tool to help consumers pick the right unit. By answering a few simple questions, a list of units with prices is generated.

• Product support: Consumers can find a product support tool online in case they need product manuals, spec sheets or catalogs. If the product name or model number is unknown, there is a pre-made list of types that will guide consumers to the right model.

A. O. Smith Water Heaters Company Information