Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

A. O. Smith Water Heaters Reviews

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

We purchased 3 electric tankless water heaters, model # R2VR-140E-100, 2 were bad and had to be replaced, never even used them. Finally paid another plumber $575 to come out and take it off the wall and replace with a new unit after AO SMITH customer support was totally unhelpful. When I called to get authorization to return I was told they would not issue one because the unit was repairable. We were told my technical support it was not repairable so we replaced it for the 3rd time. I am now out the $330 I paid for it + another $1,200 for the 2 plumbers I had to pay to come out to repair this thing. Horrible customer service, horrible product. Save yourself a lot of headaches just buy another brand.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Wish I had read these reviews before buying. Bought heater two and a half years ago and it quit working. Tech support was no help at all and said the warranty was void because it is a gas heater in the house. My central is in the house and gas. Then I looked on internet and all I found was 6 year warranties and not 3 like Smith. Guess they don't even believe in their product. I spent the extra $30 and got a Rheem from Home Depot.

Get expert buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

Purchased new water heater to replace my older one after 13 years February 2018. 10 months later, water heater stopped working. Called AO Smith, and they sent certified plumber to resolve issue. This happened November 2018. After parts replaced, water heater still having issues. By February 2019, I was given trade number to take back to Lowe's and get new water heater. I was charged $422 by local plumber to take out old one, drive 75 miles to Lowe's to get new one and reinstall. AO Smith only covered $150. My tenants moved out April 2019.

November 2019, 2nd water heater acting up again. Called same plumber to replace parts. December 2019, water heater still stop heating after 24 hours. Now AO Smith says it has to be "environmental issue." When I asked the plumber who installed it for his opinion, he said, "I've been to your house before. There is no environmental issue. The flaw is in the design of the water heater."

Called AO Smith today after sending 2 pics. I spoke to Stephanie and a supervisor named Sherry. They both gave me 2 different opinions on what to do. I'm lost.

Plumber who installed will charge me yet another $120 to move water pipe to get 12 ventilation, as I was advised. But Sherry said there is venting issue where water heater connects to top of ceiling and I need a different gas hose!

Help. AO Smith say they will NOT cover plumber coming out because an environmental issue not under warranty. Now I'm not sure what to do. Whose advice do I take? And if AO Smith doesn't know, how will this problem be rectified? What, if, after $120, the water heater continues to malfunction? What if I lose me tenants AGAIN!? However this is resolved, I will NEVER buy an AO Smith water heater again. Their tanks are flawed. They will not cover their errors. I've had a terrible experience with this company for 2 YEARS and STILL no resolve! Steve **

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

We purchased a new water heater less than a month ago. Already having problems with it. We've contacted three people from this company already asking for assistance. They're all clueless and awful to work with.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

Do not buy from this company. They have no customer service and do not honor warranties. I tried for 5 hours to work with them over the phone using 5 different service reps only to be told that I didn't use the heater enough.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about A. O. Smith?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

I have a water heater that is about two years old from A.O Smith. It makes an intermittent popping noise that is very loud on a regular basis. I’ve had a tech flush it several times per their instruction and the noise continues. Every time I call customer service I get a different person recommending what is wrong to which my plumber said is not the case. They tried to convince me to buy an expansion tank for the unit. I refuse to spend any more money on this, especially since I’m convinced that won’t fix the issue. I had another tech out recently from where I purchased my unit. They were on the phone with A.O Smith again today who said there isn’t anything they can do for me and won’t support a replacement. I’m very disappointed that this company does not stand behind their product and will never purchase anything from them again. I will also spread the word on their horrible service to others.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

A.O. Smith 40,000 Grain H2O Softener SUCKS. ABSOLUTELY ROTTEN! Bought A.O. Smith Water Softener from Lowe's. Installed by plumber recommended by store. 2 hr. labor $s for install was as much as the cost of the softener. Unit failed after 2 mo. use. After speaking with 6 of Lowe's employees, I was transferred to A.O. Smith. They are sending me the repair parts and have given me a $100 Claim # against another plumber's repair bill. USA! USA! USA! I am presently out $988.27, with a water softener that is junk! I will never again buy anything from either Lowe's or A. O. Smith. I do not think this is the way business is now done in the USA, but I surely do know how Lowe's and A.O.Smith conduct their business! SUCKS!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

After 5 years of great service our water heater started acting up. The plumber says 15 days until they can come out to fix, A. O. Smith stood behind the warranty and sent the much needed parts next day. I mean the very next day at no cost not even for shipping. I've never dealt with a warranty issue this easily. Simple install, Great company, great customer service. I look forward to many more years using their products.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I purchased new A. O. Smith electric water heater. Its both heating elements failed within half year. It continues to fail, I called customer service and several tech have been really unhelpful, they even raised their voice to me. I have called more than 5 times today to do exactly what they told me to do and the water is still not hot. The techs refused to replace the water heather. They takes all of your time, but do not want to spend less than $300 cost to replace the bad one and let you pay up to a thousand dollars to replace parts. It is a nightmare to purchase their water heater. Please stay away from this maker for water heater.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

A. O. Smith is a horrible company. Their warranty is de. A. O. Smith is a horrible company to do business with. Please note their warranty is non transferable. So if you're buying a home that has their products the warranty will be void or greatly reduced. They also base the warranty from the date of manufacturing vs. the installation date. So if your water heater had been sitting in the warehouse for months or years prior to your purchase that time is deducted from your warranty.

A. O. Smith expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Sold exclusively by plumbing wholesalers and plumbing contractors, A. O. Smith offers a broad range of residential and commercial water heaters, boilers and storage tanks. They have delivered hot water solutions to consumers for over 70 years.

• Types: A. O. Smith offers a wide range of residential and commercial water heaters. People looking for a residential water heater can choose from multiple options including gas, electric, tankless, hybrid or solar. The gas units range in capacity from 30-98 gallons while electric units range in capacity from 19.9-80 gallons.

• Remote monitoring: iCOMM Elite is A. O. Smith’s remote monitoring technology for commercial water heaters. It allows them to interact with, monitor and manage commercial water heaters. This minimizes down time for repairs which lessens the time a business is without hot water.

• Vertex water heater: The Vertex water heater was designed by A. O. Smith to have a lower manufacturing cost and save consumers a significant amount of money in energy costs. It comes in a 50-gallon power-direct vent model and a 75-gallon power-direct vent model. It has improved thermal efficiency and is easily installed.

• Product selector tool: For consumers unsure of which water heater to buy, A. O. Smith provides an interactive tool to help consumers pick the right unit. By answering a few simple questions, a list of units with prices is generated.

• Product support: Consumers can find a product support tool online in case they need product manuals, spec sheets or catalogs. If the product name or model number is unknown, there is a pre-made list of types that will guide consumers to the right model.

• Best for: Consumers looking for a wide range of residential and commercial water heater options.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team