Save on Appliance Repairs

Save on Appliance Repairs

With the Best Home Warranty

Compare Quotes

487 A. O. Smith Water Heaters Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 13, 2019

I will never purchase another AO Smith water heater. I had an AO Smith water heater in my home prior to purchasing the home. The water heater was brand new when I purchased the home. The water heater lasted 5 years. It sprung a leak and then caught fire in the middle of the night. Luckily, the fire was localized and the flames did not spread.

I had 11 months remaining on the warranty. Discovering this issue at 5:00 am, I visited the AO Smith Website to see what actions were necessary to secure my home safely. There were a list of 3 service providers in the area, so I called one. The technician was able to look up my warranty and set me up with an appointment for a replacement water heater same day. I felt as though I had to move along.

I was instructed to settle up my warranty with AO Smith. They said they could offer me $500 and that I could get a new water heater from anywhere and use any company. Well, how convenient after I already made arrangements with their forced provider. AO Smith got back to me at 3:00 in the afternoon telling me about my options when I contacted them just before 10:00 am AND of course I contacted their service provider at 5:15 am and already got the ball rolling because I thought I had to use their provider.

I spent $1441 on the new heater and labor. I was able to get AO Smith to raise the offer to $791 but that still puts me out $650. I would have been in better shape with the $500 and a service and parts sale from somewhere else - like Sears where I would have preferred to shop - lower prices and an interest free charge on their credit card.

I am upset about this unnecessary mark-up because of AO Smith's faulty products and slow/poor customer service. I am nervous about the fact that I have another AO Smith water heater in my home. In another 5 years when this piece of junk kicks the bucket, I will absolutely be purchasing a different brand elsewhere. DO NOT purchase an AO Smith product.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I replaced a water heater in 2014 with an A. O. Smith water heater. Less than a year later the water heater burst from the bottom. Since the water heater was still under warranty it was replaced with another A. O. Smith, although it took almost three days to get the company contracted by A. O. Smith to acquire a new water heater. In 2016, the water heater began to leak from a crack at the top of the water heater. Since it was still under warranty, it again took several days to replace the water heater. The company's customer service representatives were helpful, but it seems that the company's policies do not provide the customers for assistance and timely replacements.

Now, two days ago, Friday, the the water heater burst again. Called A. O. Smith and customer representatives gave me an R# for a replacement, but the company used by A. O. Smith the last two times to replace the water heater do not work on weekends and close at 4:30 PM daily. So finally being fed up with A. O. Smith, I acquired quotes from Plumbers to have a replacement Water Heater installed, the question I asked each Plumber was, "What brand of Water Heater will be installed?" Not one Plumber answered with A. O. Smith, and several stated they would never use A. O. Smith. Photos attached will show the the lack of quality.

Get expert buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I purchased 7 AO SMITH water heaters for my two flats, as only those could fit over false ceiling of the flats' bathrooms. All geysers develop a problem of cathode which results in heated water with very bad foul smell, harmful to your skin. I got the cathode replaced by paying service charges as well as Rs 1200/- and was told now onwards there should be no problem. Within not even six months, the same problem comes up. Hence with their heaters you have to keep replacing their cathode very frequently and budget for min Rs 2500/- annual expense for it.

Shockingly the company does not care for its customers. I wrote a personal letter to their CEO in India; not even an acknowledgement or somebody from service dept contacting me to listen to and sort out problem. It is a lousy company. Never buy their product. I am stuck. As against this, I have experience of using local brand geysers for over 25 years without any worry or maintenance or serving support.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I purchased a AO Smith hot water heater on 2/23/19. After installation and powering the unit on I get an error code an hour later indicating I have a bad lower heating element. I called technical support but of course there’s no one available till Monday. In the meantime I have their useless product taking up space in my house NOT providing hot water.

On Monday I called and had to request that a tech call me back when one of them becomes available. I did check the lower heating element for continuity and it did have 12 ohms, so it’s a good element. I decided to replace the element just to be sure while waiting for someone to return my call. After turning the power back on I get another error code an hour later indicating that the UPPER heating element was bad. I checked the element for continuity. I found 12 ohms. There’s nothing wrong with the element. In the meantime, I have no hot water going on 3 days. Eventually someone did return my call. We did some troubleshooting to decide what exactly was wrong with this brand new piece of garbage. I was to call back after I had rebooted the unit without the display module. I had to leave a request for someone to return my call again. No one called me.

So now it’s Tuesday and I called again, and again I had to request someone return my call. After about half a day later someone returned my call. This tech decided to send me a new electronic thermostat. He said they would over night it and someone would be calling me with more info. No one called me back. Again, I had to call and leave a request for someone to call me back. Someone did call me back. She didn’t know why I was not contacted about the overnight shipment of the thermostat but guaranteed me it would be here by the end of the day. It is now 8:25 pm. No thermostat. I am now 5 days without hot water. This is as sorry a product as it gets. 5 DAYS WITH NO HOT WATER BUT A BRAND NEW HOT WATER HEATER. Don’t waste your time with these losers, buy a Rheem.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I am very disappointed with this product and their customer service. It is being a nightmare since I change my old water heater to A. O. Smith... It doesn’t work and I have called customer service like 5 times and I can’t get anything done. I feel I lost my money. They don’t want to be responsible for anything. I will never buy a product from this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about A. O. Smith?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Little known secret is A. O. Smith knows who you are if you bought one of their Low NOx water heaters that were recalled back in November 2018. Call and give them the serial number and they confirm your name from their computer systems. So that begs the question, if they knew 600,000+ water heaters were extreme fire hazards and needed to be recalled, why did they not CONTACT THE OWNERS of these units to initiate the repair process? I only found out a few days ago when my unit started roaring like a bonfire spewing flames from the front of the unit.

Trouble is, they are so overwhelmed you can't get it fixed and they tell you to shut down the system for safety reasons. How long can you go without hot water? That is the game they are playing... Hoping you'll just go out and buy a new unit on your own so they'll be off the hook on repairs. Disgusting. I contacted our local ABC consumer reporter to get the word out at least on TV so people will know to check their units. Bottom line, avoid buying A. O. Smith products. Very dangerous.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

While pressure testing the anode rod was leaking so it was pulled out to seal the threads and the rod itself was covered in grease. It was cleaned, installed and pressure tested. When the pressure was released through a faucet that same grease spewed out. Tank was brought up to temperature and the grease particles were still present along with an oil film on the water surface. Returned to Lowe's and pulled three additional anode rods and all three had the same issue with grease. Contacted technical support, said the grease was coming from the city water supply. Don't think so.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Purchased water heater 2 months ago for rent house. Tenant complained they didn't have any hot water. Electrical outlet was burned. Changed out the outlet and the water heater cord. Still not work. Called technical help. We wanted to take it back to the store. But they told us not to take it back. Told to change out top heater breaker. Worked for maybe 1 day. Called back. Was told to change the heating element. Worked 1 day. Called back. Was told to change out bottom heating element. Worked about 1 day. We were told they would not replace the water heater - just replace the parts. Lowe's said we need a return number from company in order to return the heater. Hope the company will give us that number. Will tell everyone not to buy this brand A.O.Smith???

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I purchased a AO Smith tankless water heater at Lowe's - box said easy installation, Lowe's personnel said you'll have no trouble installing. Brought it home - had to go back and purchase $300 of supplies just to install. Got electrician to install - heater won't come on. Called their technical support next day at 4:00. At 4:45 finally got to correct department. They told me to remove the cover and I asked "how?" They couldn't tell me because they do NOT have a manual for the product they manufactured, however the technician assured me she had been trained on this water heater. Started ABCs of trouble-shooting, hung up on me after a (got my phone number up front to call me back if we got disconnected - still waiting).

Called back, asked for manager - was told the managers don't have direct lines!!! Put on hold, finally hung up at 6:15. Got electrician back in - he was able to figure it out. So their inability to provide customer service cost me about $600. So far the unit is still working but the other reviews here do not leave me with much hope that I will get $1400 of use out of it - the cost of the unit, supplies, electrician, etc. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER ITEM FROM THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I have purchased AO Smith electric water heater of 15l capacity. There is written warranty of 4 years and on a complaint of error no. E4, they are asking for visit charge and pcb replacement cost of 1200. My heater is under their warranty too. They are openly cheating customers and well renowned stores like Croma is supporting these loot. Don't go for this brand ever.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Purchased an AO Smith water heater 1 year ago when building a house. 1 week ago it went out and displayed an error code. Called the company. They agreed to overnight parts to fix it. The catch a technician was available for 4 days. Parts did not arrived as promised but showed up at our door 1 hour before the technician arrived. Technician begins repair only to find out not all parts needed were not sent. So on the day the technician calls and has them overnight the part needed again. Part arrives next day but technician can't come for 3 more days to fix unit.

I called warranty company and AO Smith and was told they will only pay for repairs during business hours. So a week later during the coldest part of the year my family is still without hot water. I am at a loss for words. Had I known this was how they treat customers I would have never bought their product. They may be one of the largest companies but they have little to no regard for their consumers. I will never purchase another product or recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I am extremely dissatisfied with my ongoing, unresolved hot water tank issue. I purchased a 50-Gal. Electric Hot Water Tank from Lowe's and I had a licensed plumber install it that same day. 24 hours later, the thermostat went out, the wires burned, and it tripped the breaker. The technicians over the phone keep giving me the 'run-around' trying to put cause and blame on the installation. The issue is not the installation, but on a defective unit. I had a licensed plumber install per the manufacturer's instruction book. He advised me to contact the Technical Support Call Center as it wasn't the install, but the unit itself and it's under warranty. The Call Center will not do anything to speed up this process until a technician from their contracted company comes out to inspect it. It's going to take one week for them to come out! The call center said I can use a local vendor if I want to speed up the process, but they will only cover plumbers up to $100.

Plumbers I called charge a minimum of $150 (Flat rate of $40 just to come out, and then $100/hour after that, with a minimum of 1-hr). I've already spent approx. $1200 to date on the products + labor! So if I want AO Smith to cover the charges, I have to wait until their contracted technicians come out, so now I'm waiting. On top of that, if the unit is deemed to be irreparable they will not cover the cost of labor to have the new unit installed! That I, the customer, will have to incur the charges for installing the new unit. This means I will have paid twice for labor - the first time and then the second time! How fair is this?!

When I purchased this product from Lowe's, I expected it to be working. In all fairness, Lowe's did say they will replace the unit. But the call center is just spinning me around in circles and not assisting in any way. I am extremely unhappy, dissatisfied and would not recommend using their tanks. I don't know what the outcome will be, but with a 6-year warranty, I hope I don't have to deal with them in the future as they are of little help, empathy, and try to spin the blame on the install.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Do not use this product. They do not stand behind warranty and they install faulty products. We had an A. O. Smith Water Heater installed less than 2 years ago and it has completely rusted out. We also kept up on annual maintenance! Total scam!!!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Installed an A.O. Smith water heater about a year ago for a customer. The unit failed at the dielectric fitting. After speaking to their customer service they issued a full exchange at Lowe's. I was expecting a hassle at Lowe's and it was painless. Great customer service all the way around. Thanks.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

BUYER BEWARE. My plumber bought this from Lowe's in 7/17 and after troubleshooting by changing elements it worked for 6 months. Same issue of not enough hot water so he changed them again and now the same issue! Their pop product is horrible but their customer service is worse! Should have returned it in the 1st place!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Almost immediately after my 50 gallon A. O. Smith hot water heater was installed by a local plumbing contractor, it started making a high pitched whine that could be heard through my house. The plumbing contractor replaced the burner assembly which did not resolve the problem and indicated that I would have to contact A. O. Smith directly for warranty service. To the company's credit they provided work order numbers for five service calls for an outside contractor and after replacing just about every part except the tank were not able to fix the problem. After numerous phone calls to the manufacturer they finally agreed to replace the unit but are insisting that they will not pay for the labor because the heater is over a year old. I have explained that the problem (documented) was reported well within the first year and they should not be able to "run out the clock" if they cannot fix the problem within the first year.

As frustrating as this is, dealing with their telephone customer service department is even worse. In the last week I have made more than a dozen phone call and each time keep being passed back and forth from the warranty department to the recall department. I have been told on several occasion that I cannot be transfer to a supervisor or manager and must wait for a call back which usually occurs the next day.

My advice is if anyone needs to replace their hot water heater DO NOT buy an A. O. Smith water heater and if you are using a plumbing contractor, insist that they not use this product either. And if anyone from A. O. Smith reads this comment, please feel free to get in touch with me. You know who I am, David from Manhattan Beach, CA.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Purchased this water heater in September 2014. I had to replace the pilot assembly three years later - almost $200. Today - December 17, 2018 - the burner assembly burst. A.O. Smith could not get someone out to fix my water heater for over a week. Every service provider I spoke with talked about the problems and issues A.O. Smith is having with their water heaters, a recall, that they're overwhelmed. I have talked with their recall department 7x this evening. Long story short: they can't do anything. They can't get a part to me for over a day; their only service provider in my area doesn't know when he can schedule a visit - he says for at least 6-7 days. Other service providers will charge me an out-of-area charge of approximately $400. DO NOT BUY A.O. SMITH WATER HEATERS - they are having recall issues, technical issues.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

The hot water heater was installed in 2017 so it is still under warranty. The tech support requires multiple efforts (with different technicians in a call center) on customer's end to trouble shoot - pictures, re-do vent, sent parts 2 times and still no hot water or resolution. I would never buy their product again and could not recommend this company's products to anyone. When a customer's quality of life is impacted by a product's failure, replacement should be immediate. This company has failed to honor a warranty. I cannot recommend this company or their products at all.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Our 22 year old Reliance failed (all over the floor) a few days before Thanksgiving, and we purchased the A.O. Smith replacement water heater that was manufactured 8/2018. Installation was in a small closet in a tight hallway, but everything seemed fine. The water heated up fast, but every time we ran the hot water the house vibrated like a huge UFO had landed and was idling... The installer came back four times over the week, and I spent an extra $285 to have the vent pipe replaced to no avail, when the senior installer who came out that day realized that it was the model of A.O. Smith that had issues with the burner assembly brackets.

He contacted AO Smith and they gave us an authorization number and referred us to a local company (Frontier Plumbing) that was handling the repairs. They came out twice and adjusted the bracket, but the sound got worse, so I contacted AO Smith. They called me back quickly and Hunter apologized and overnighted a new burner unit, which he assured would eliminate the defective part. Frontier came out immediately the next day, installed it and all is fine. The reason for three stars is that no actual recall or notification was put out on this issue because it was a "hit and miss" problem with the water heaters, and I feel that a company with huge historical magnitude as A.O. Smith is should have sent out a recall notice for "potential" issues. The three stars are a strong appreciation that they stood behind their product and made it right.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Our brand new water heater moans every time it comes on. They sent out a plumber that adjusted this and tweaked that, but it did nothing. I found the exact issue on YouTube and told them I would need a new burner. That was the last I've heard from them. Filed a BBB complaint and they simply ignored it. As far as I can tell, the same factory puts out Whirlpool water heaters, as well. Just put a different badge on it. I will never touch one of these products again.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

We had a brand new A. O. Smith 80 gallon water heater (ECT 80 120) professionally installed in September 2014. Just before Thanksgiving 2018 it started leaking. The water looked rusty, so we inferred the bottom of the tank had begun to rust. Our plumber surmised the tank was defective from the start. We contacted A. O. Smith and were told "to feel free to replace the water heater with any other brand", since they no longer make 80 gallon tanks, and "to keep the receipts and the rating sticker on the old tank". No word on how the 6-year warranty on the water heater was going to be honored.

Well, it was not. A. O. Smith proceeded to offer to "buy us out" of the warranty, at a low-balled fraction of the cost that it would take to replace the leaking tank with a like-for-like model of another brand. They are very hard to get a hold of, and have little interest in talking to customers, especially if you insist they honor their warranty on their products. They also acted incredulous at my assertion that there was a difference between honoring a warranty and trying to buy somebody out of one. A. O. Smith is a dishonest company, which does not honor its warranties, does not stand behind its products, and does not care about its customers. Save yourself the trouble and buy another brand. A. O. Smith does not deserve to still be in business. My guess is they won't for much longer, and there is no reason to miss them.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

The hybrid heat pump operating mode in my new water heater can only be switched to the all-electric operating mode for a period of 48 hours max. There is no 'winter' operating option that will let you operate in all electric mode for an indefinite period of time. The problem is, in the hybrid mode, this model water heater draws heat out of my attached garage during the winter and makes my garage 10 to 15 degrees colder than its typical wintertime indoor air temperature of 45 degrees.

While cooling my garage is a great idea in the summer, it is not what I want when the outside air temperature is in the 20 to 30 degree F range. I called the A. O. Smith technical assistance hotline for help and was told there is no way to override the 48 hour limit on the all-electric operating mode. These new, hybrid electric water heaters by A. O. Smith should not be sold in cold weather regions of the U.S. without a specific warning to consumers about the cooling effect these units will have in your house, or in your garage.

Resolution response: Dec. 1, 2018

Lowes resolved my issue by taking the Hot Water tank back. They did an outstanding job after a face to face conversation with them.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I bought this 40 gal. electric heater on Black Friday at Lowe's. It has never worked. Lowe's refuses to exchange it without a return authorization. I am still dealing with A. O. Smith and they continue to have me test something else. I am ready to stop any business with Lowe's and A. O. Smith. No way to treat a customer.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Installed a brand new A. O. Smith Water Heater 2 weeks ago, now its burner keeps going out. I was told by A. O. Smith I need to build a separate venting for its water heater. A. O. Smith can't share the venting pipe with my furnace, which goes through Chimney, but my previous water heater has been using the same venting pipe for the last 15 years without any issue. However, A. O. Smith is firm that my venting pipe is the problem. It will be a very costly project to build a separate venting for this water heater. So anyone who consider buying A. O. Smith, be prepared to build a new venting system for A. O. Smith.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I bought 2 within 2 years. Both were red tagged as dangerous by gas man for faulty gas valves. Seems if this is a continuing error on multiple tanks maybe there's an error in how it's built. Warranty only covers part. I bought my heater. After it was installed I saw it was already 2 years old.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Eight and a half years after purchase and light use, water heater leaked. This is a scam, fraudulent company. They should be arrested and their entire families should be stripped of all of their possessions and sentenced to hard labor for the rest of their miserable lives. You scum bags! Burn in hell.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I purchased a water heater 6 weeks ago from A O Smith. It has never worked since day one. They had me change out thermostats, and heating elements. It still never worked. They are now saying that it has been too long since we purchased it, and they will not do anything for us. I will never buy their water heater again.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

We repiped our home in January, 2017. Since our water heater was more than 18 years old, (we never had an issue with it), the company suggested that a new water heater be installed at the same time. The water heater that was sold to us was an A.O. Smith 50 gallon gas water heater. The model #GUC-50 400. The BTU'S: 40,000. The cost was $850. On the evening of October 23, 2018, we did not have any hot water. My husband attempted to relight the pilot, to no avail. The next morning, we called the re-pipe company to tell them of our problem. We were told that they do not repair the water heater, but it is under warranty. They gave us a name and phone number to call. When we called, they could not come out for at least two days, and gave us the name of another company to call. We called and were told that the tech would be out that day and would call us to let us know that time that they would be at our home.

At 8:00 pm, we still had not received a call. We then called the tech to see when he would be at our home. He said that it would be much later that evening, and not to wait up for him. (Our heater is outside and easily accessible). At approximately 11:25 pm he arrived. We heard his truck come into our driveway. At 11:50, he left. He had to replace the Chamber Temperature Sensor, made "adjustments and modifications," relit the unit and left. This cost us $195 in labor since it is not covered under the warranty.

We now know after reading so many negative reviews on this product, that this unit should not be sold to an unsuspecting public. A.O. Smith continues to put out an inferior product knowing full well what a piece of crap it is. They are "RIPPING OFF" the consumer while they laugh all the way to the bank. We know that it is only a matter of time until something else goes south with the unit. We will NOT put another dime into it. We think all of us who have posted reviews need to band together to file a class action lawsuit against A.O. Smith, and contractors who continue to push their product. Our next step is to contact the Consumer Affairs Bureau in our state (CA) and file a formal complaint against this company. We are so sorry that we were all duped and taken advantage of as consumers.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

The guy at Lowe’s steered me wrong, telling me this is a good electric water heater. My hot water developed a strong sulphuric smell. I called my water company and they knew right away it is the anode rod in the water heater. I had the rod removed but it cost $375 because it takes three men to get it out. When I called AO Smith headquarters, they told me it would take three men. They also told me this issue isn’t covered under warranty because it’s the minerals in my water reacting to the aluminum rod. They say it’s environmental and they’ll sell me a rod made out of zinc for $75. Creeps! Make it right before selling it to the public.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I see a lot of negative reviews about A. O. Smith Water Heaters. Well I can say we install A. O. Smith Water Heater in 1994 new home. I have less than good well water but heater has last 24 years and counting. I realize I’m on borrowed time. I also realize no matter what brand I install it won’t last. It’s amazing that in 2018 the reliability of today’s appliance is far worst than years ago but are far more expensive.

A. O. Smith expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Sold exclusively by plumbing wholesalers and plumbing contractors, A. O. Smith offers a broad range of residential and commercial water heaters, boilers and storage tanks. They have delivered hot water solutions to consumers for over 70 years.

• Types: A. O. Smith offers a wide range of residential and commercial water heaters. People looking for a residential water heater can choose from multiple options including gas, electric, tankless, hybrid or solar. The gas units range in capacity from 30-98 gallons while electric units range in capacity from 19.9-80 gallons.

• Remote monitoring: iCOMM Elite is A. O. Smith’s remote monitoring technology for commercial water heaters. It allows them to interact with, monitor and manage commercial water heaters. This minimizes down time for repairs which lessens the time a business is without hot water.

• Vertex water heater: The Vertex water heater was designed by A. O. Smith to have a lower manufacturing cost and save consumers a significant amount of money in energy costs. It comes in a 50-gallon power-direct vent model and a 75-gallon power-direct vent model. It has improved thermal efficiency and is easily installed.

• Product selector tool: For consumers unsure of which water heater to buy, A. O. Smith provides an interactive tool to help consumers pick the right unit. By answering a few simple questions, a list of units with prices is generated.

• Product support: Consumers can find a product support tool online in case they need product manuals, spec sheets or catalogs. If the product name or model number is unknown, there is a pre-made list of types that will guide consumers to the right model.

• Best for: Consumers looking for a wide range of residential and commercial water heater options.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs