A. O. Smith Water Heaters

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

A. O. Smith Water Heaters Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about A. O. Smith Water Heaters?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about A. O. Smith?

Original review: Nov. 25, 2022

Purchased a 12 yr warranty AO Smith gas water heater on 7/12/19. Within 6 months the unit started making a deep whooshing air sound whenever the gas turned on. We contacted AO Smith and they sent out a tech to adjust something in the gas chamber which took care of the problem. Shortly after that the water heater began making loud popping and snapping sounds. I contacted customer service at AO Smith again and they claimed it was sediment build up in the bottom of the water tank. I have since purged the tank 4 times and each time I get the exact same material coming out. Rather than mineral deposits coming out, what shows up each time is 1-2 cups of blueish-white granules all measuring approx 1/8" diameter.

I've done maintenance on many water heaters in my life and know what mineral deposits look like, and these white granules are not them. Personally, I think these granules are some form of insulation around the water tank, and that somehow they are migrating into the water tank area. We are tired of hearing these sounds every time the heater turns on.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2022

I had a water heater replaced under warranty in 2021. The new unit was built in 2020. Somehow they've attached an old service contract warranty to this new heater which should have a manufacturer's warranty by law.. But, A. O. Smith is claiming this new unit they sent me is out of warranty! It's less than 2 yrs old!! Not to mention they couldn't recommend any service tech in my area which is Bradenton/Sarasota FL.. What options does that leave me the consumer?? Besides, never by another product from this company? A. O. Smith Class Action Law suit for this company's foreseeable future..

Get buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

I bought my water heater from Lowe's in July, it is now October and I had no hot water. Product is under warranty so I contacted tech support Friday, September 23rd 11:10 am and spoke to tech Shera? who gave me an authorization for labor and the name of a local company to come out and look at it. I called them but was told they cannot work on Lowe's or Home Depot products as they would not get reimbursed by this company. I called back again and spoke to Jeff 11:20 who gave me the names of two other companies but he stated that they may not come out because they are so far away. I asked if I could have someone do the work and get reimbursed but he didn't tell me that was an option. I contacted the second company and in fact they were too far away.

I contacted the third company who said that yes they would come out to my home but couldn't see me until the following week. I asked to schedule asap and she said that she would give the information to her operations manager and call me back. She did not call me back so I called AO Smith again and spoke to Walter 4:20pm who had no idea how to help me and put me on hold. When he came back on the phone he said that he would put in a call back for a supervisor for me and they would call me back shortly. I never received a call back from a supervisor so the issue went on through the weekend.

Monday morning I contacted the plumbing company again and she stated I had an appointment for Wednesday 730am, which I had no idea I even had an appt because she didn't call me. I contacted AO Smith again. I spoke to Jessica 1230pm who was so helpful and so friendly and kept apologizing to me for not getting help sooner. She gave me parts authorization for two elements and an upper thermostat and stated that yes, I could have someone do the work and at least I would have hot water. I wasn't able to get anyone to work on it the evening as my son works nights. Again I asked to speak to a supervisor and was transferred by Jessica to Tanya. Tanya stated that I could be reimbursed for the labor also and she would email me an invoice instruction for reimbursement for that. I never received an email from Tanya.

Original review: July 27, 2022

Always trouble, failed completely one month after warranty. Never ever purchase another A.O. Smith Water Heater. A.O.smith water heater only last 6 year 1 month then you have to purchase a new one. Be aware.

Original review: April 25, 2022

This is our 3 water heater that was professionally installed and cleared by the City I live in. I had a issue with the pilet staying lit and was asked to send in photos. Once I called back later in the day and told them it went out again and I wanted my money back they decided to try and tell me that it was not installed properly and that there was nothing they could do. Now how is it that a inspector passed the install but now that a want my money back the voice on the phone wants to tell me it's not installed correctly. This company is a joke.

Original review: April 24, 2022

Bought new. Hooked up. Didn't work. Call customer service and they tell me I have to pay for a plumber. Long story short it was a bad element. Somehow someone put an old element in brand new heater. Customer care like not our problem.

Original review: April 20, 2022

My wife read the reviews after I purchased it and I thought it was just folks whining. No sir, every one of the complaints is true; can't get a hold of them, product didn't work from the start, their pool of warranty plumbers is limited to 1 and they only service the areas where you don't live. Can't believe Lowe's buys this brand because they are also going to lose my business over the way they handle returns.

Original review: April 13, 2022

Our water heater went out so we went to lowes and decided on the AO smith 50 gallon digital. We did not want a digital one due to things going wrong on those more often. But we really didn’t have a choice, that’s all Lowe's had in the gallon size we needed. We installed. No problem. (We installed our last one as well.) Turned the power on to it and error 4 came up. No hot water either. We call customer service and tell them what’s going on and they basically tell us it was our fault. They said we must have turned on the power before the tank was full and dry fired it. That’s impossible because we know better. We made sure it was completely full and no air was in the lines. They told us to go to lowes and get new elements and they would be free because it’s brand new.

Lowes looked at me like I was stupid and said they have never heard of that before. So I had to pay for those out of pocket. We drained the tank and replaced those and refilled it again. Flipped on the power and guess what! No hot water and error code. I call back customer service and after several hang ups from their end and 2 hours later, they told us to go get 2 more elements. We did that and repeated the process, no hot water again. They gave me a number to a tech (in our area) so I called. He’s not in our area after all so no one can come service it either.

After that they decided to give us a return authorization number to return to lowes. Only problem is... this brand is all lowes has. Also, lowes is no help whatsoever. If they're going to sell a product, then they should stand behind it. Lesson learned, next time just pay the install to be done by lowes, that way they're on the hook if something goes wrong. Very very disappointed in both AO smith and lowes!!

Original review: March 30, 2022

Do not EVER buy a water heater from AO Smith. They do NOT honor their warranty, and are IMPOSSIBLE TO reach! I bought a top-of-the line AO Smith heater from Lowe's less than 2 years ago, with a 12-year warranty. Even though it is barely used, the heating element went bad in it 2 months ago. Trying to contact AO Smith on the phone means being on hold for HOURS. Their nearest service tech is over 100 miles away and will not come to my house to service the heater. He did offer to send me the part and get it installed by a local plumber - but wanted $40 to ship it! This is a $20 part at Home Depot.

After numerous attempts at phone calls to them, I emailed AO Smith’s “Customer Service”. They refuse to send me the replacement part or even discuss the matter over email, insisting I have to call them. Well, after over two hours on hold AGAIN I gave up, and ordered the part from Home Depot. I’ll be leaving this review of their products and “service” on every online forum. Spread the word: Do not EVER buy a AO Smith water heater!!

Original review: March 13, 2022

Purchased a 50-gallon AO Smith electric hot water heater at Lowes. This heater was for my daughter. Had to replace the thermostat and elements in less than 30 days as the thermostat was stuck. Not only did she have this problem but the heater made her water "greasy." She started noticing a film in her sink and every time she would wash her hair it felt oily. I sent an email to the company on March 3, 2022 showing my purchase receipt and the receipts for the repairs along with a picture of a burned-out element. Almost two weeks later and no reply from the company. Two months and over $600 wasted, I purchased and installed another brand and the "greasy" problem went away immediately.

A. O. Smith author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Sold exclusively by plumbing wholesalers and plumbing contractors, A. O. Smith offers a broad range of residential and commercial water heaters, boilers and storage tanks. They have delivered hot water solutions to consumers for over 70 years.

• Types: A. O. Smith offers a wide range of residential and commercial water heaters. People looking for a residential water heater can choose from multiple options including gas, electric, tankless, hybrid or solar. The gas units range in capacity from 30-98 gallons while electric units range in capacity from 19.9-80 gallons.

• Remote monitoring: iCOMM Elite is A. O. Smith’s remote monitoring technology for commercial water heaters. It allows them to interact with, monitor and manage commercial water heaters. This minimizes down time for repairs which lessens the time a business is without hot water.

• Vertex water heater: The Vertex water heater was designed by A. O. Smith to have a lower manufacturing cost and save consumers a significant amount of money in energy costs. It comes in a 50-gallon power-direct vent model and a 75-gallon power-direct vent model. It has improved thermal efficiency and is easily installed.

• Product selector tool: For consumers unsure of which water heater to buy, A. O. Smith provides an interactive tool to help consumers pick the right unit. By answering a few simple questions, a list of units with prices is generated.

• Product support: Consumers can find a product support tool online in case they need product manuals, spec sheets or catalogs. If the product name or model number is unknown, there is a pre-made list of types that will guide consumers to the right model.

A. O. Smith Water Heaters Company Information