Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

508 A. O. Smith Water Heaters Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

If I could give NO STARS I would. The water heater I had for 17 years went out so I went to Lowe's to purchase a new one. I wish I would had research this brand first. After having it installed the water pressure only on the HOT WATER side was low (NEVER had that issue with the old heater). So I looked at the user manual and it stated on page 26 that the issue would be Melted Dip Tube OR partially closed supply value. Well the value was okay so the only option left per the user manual was the dip tube.

I called the customer service and the guy I spoke with said there was a link in my home and I need to call a plumber. I had a plumber come out and I paid $100 for them to tell me there was NO leak in my home. So I called back and the same guy was like I could had swore that was the issue. So I told him that per the user manual what it said. Of course he did not even know what I was talking about. So then I spoke with a female that gave me a authorization code to use to call another Plumber out. She didn't give me a plumber to call just a authorization number. So I called back and spoke with someone else who said the first lady should had gave me the plumber to speak with.

They sent out a dip tube and gave me the plumber to call to come out for which they said they would pay for. Well another plumber came out and they also stated that there was no leak in my home but that there is some kind of part you can purchase from Lowe's to connect onto the heater to make the water come out faster. The plumber did not even look at the dip tube. Fast forward 2 weeks later. I receive a bill from the plumber saying that AO SMITH did not cover/honor the authorization code since the issue was not the dip tube.

Nowhere in any conversation of the 4 individuals I spoke with say that you would receive a bill from ANOTHER plumber. Granted I had already paid for a previous plumber to check my home for a leakage that did not exist but that AO SMITH said that was the issue. Then I called to speak with a manager by the name of DEE that was RUDE AND DID NOT LISTEN TO ANYTHING I WAS SAYING. I asked for someone to listen to ALL RECORDED CALLS REGARDING THIS ISSUE. I told her that AO SMITH said it was the dip tube since it was not leakage in my home.

After FINALLY getting her to listen to what I was saying she was like she would have someone to listen to the calls. I asked how long would that take since most companies would give a estimated time of listening to the call such as 5-7 business days. She said she don't know and they would just call me back. That is not professional or acceptable. Do I expect to hear back from this company in a timely fashion, NO. I would recommend to NOT BUY ANY PRODUCTS from this company. Based on the reviews I see online this company need to have a class action lawsuit against them.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I purchased new A. O. Smith electric water heater. Its both heating elements failed within half year with city water. It continues to fail the heating elements every half year within two years until the service tech refused to replace the heating elements. But A. O. Smith warranty does not allow for a replacement of the water heater. They takes all of your time, but do not want to spend less than $300 cost to replace the bad one and let you pay up to a thousand dollars to replace parts. It is a nightmare to purchase their water heater. Please stay away from this maker for water heater.

Get expert buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

Avoid this company. We own a two-year-old AOSmith heat pump water heater, which recently filled our basement with acrid black smoke that took two days to dissipate. When we first discovered the smoke, we cut power to the unit to stop it from smoking and waited for the plumber. The plumber could see and smell the smoke from the unit but could not determine where inside the unit it was coming from.

When we called the warranty line at AOSmith to report this, they said the plumber needed to come back and they would guide him through a series of steps to help him find visible scorching inside the unit. The plumber came back and walked through AOSmith's prescribed steps but could not find any scorched parts. The company's representative told us, in a monotone voice (reading from scripted remarks, it seemed) that because there was no visible scorching there was no manufacturing defect, so the warranty would not cover repairing or replacing the unit.

There is clearly a defect, unless spewing black, acrid smoke is something the heater is supposed to do. And if it happened once it will probably happen again, perhaps when we're not home. Every time we leave the house for an extended period of time we feel the need to turn off the power to the unit so it doesn't catch on fire, which means that we have to wait several hours for hot water if we're away for a few days. (The representative I spoke with said there's a trip switch that cuts off power to the unit if it catches on fire, but if the unit is already on fire, how would that help?) The company obviously doesn't care about their defective products, and doesn't seem to care that their heater could start a fire that could burn our house to the ground. AOSmith won't stand behind their water heaters. If something goes wrong, you're on your own. Buy from a more responsible company.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I purchased this item A. O. Smith 30 gallon gas hot water heater. Had it professionally installed. The technician had to make three trips to finally get me going 3 days later. I definitely do not recommend this hot water heater to anyone's. What a bad experience.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I have a 40 gallon with a smart panel and a nine yr warranty. I installed eight yrs ago. Had a problem with the smart panel and they sent me another panel as it is under warranty. Still had problems after install but when I tell them, now a tech thinks I haven’t installed it up to code because I said something about a plug and not pin connection on the smart panel. They want me to send photos or get a city inspection saying it is up to code or as one rep said they will not honor my warranty. I did talk to someone who said it may be another bad panel and check the ohms on the elements to make sure they are good. Then I call back to say I checked that and I get another person who looks back at the notes and says I need to prove it is installed correctly.

This company has RUDE customer reps and only know how to tell you what they know. They do not listen to you but will just keep talking and noting what they think is wrong. I will never buy another A.O. Smith product which includes Whirlpool as well as several other brands. Steer clear!!! It was a good first eight years but the last few days talking with them has just about done me in. Bye bye A.O. Smith water heaters.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about A. O. Smith?

Resolution response: Aug. 9, 2019

I spoke too soon and after being contacted several times by their technician and trying different things, they have approved my returning the hot water heater in question to Lowe's for a credit or new hot water heater.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

We purchased our hot water heater from Lowe's on October 17,2017 and have had nothing but trouble since. Within 3-4 weeks of owning it and with the temperature set on the Hot (120) it continued to rise to 150+. Called and they told us the water was stacking and to drain the water and refill and this should solve the problem. Within another 3-4 weeks we were having the same problem, so we set it on vacation. Still did not cool down. Called technician and they shipped new thermostat control unit. We followed instruction again and set on Hot (120) and within weeks it is back to 150. So now it's on pilot with no decrease of temperature. During this time we have drained the hot water heater 4 times, wasting 160 gallons of water. We have had only 3 gas hot water heaters for 40 years and this is the only one to give us constant trouble.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I do not even know where to begin. My father came over to my house and he and I installed the brand new 50 gallon electric water heater Saturday. We have done several before and have a working knowledge of how to install them. Once installed, we filled the tank with cold water, let the hot water run in the sink for 5 minutes until it was a steady stream and no air came out. We then turned the breaker on and waited. By morning I had NO hot water. I went down and checked for 240 volts and had it. I then checked to make sure there was 240 volts going to the top element and the bottom. My multi meter confirmed power was going throughout the system. This is when I emailed your company and explained my problem. I did not receive a reply for 2 days so I just went out and bought 2 heating elements and an upper lower thermostat from Lowe's and figured I would replace one at a time until it worked.

To make a long story short, I eventually installed all 4 and it still didn't work. We already knew how to test the ohms and resistance on each part so we did that and all were within tolerance. Your reply to my email came on Monday afternoon and all it had was a video that showed everything we had already done as far as testing the ohms and resistance. I emailed Lowe's corporate customer service and explained to them I believed I had a faulty water heater and explained to them the whole process. They wrote me back and told me they had a 30 day/90 day policy that if I wasn't satisfied with a product it could be returned with a receipt within that time frame.

Although I absolutely HATED to drain the tank, replace all the parts I had changed back to the original ones, unhook everything and drag it upstairs and into my truck by myself, I had been without hot water now for 4 days so I decided to do it thinking I would have hot water with a new tank in a matter of hours. I get to Lowe's, get a cart and take it out of my truck, haul it in and showed them the email Corporate sent me saying I could return it and handed them my receipt. They then told me I needed a RA # from you. I told them I emailed and all I got was an email with a hot water heater for dummies video showing me everything I already knew and had already performed. Several times. Manager said she would call your customer support and try to get a RA # so I could exchange it for another one that worked.

SO, I got BILLY ** on the line and he proceeded to tell me that I was going to have to take it all the way back home, drag it back down the stairs, hook it all back up and fill it with water and go through the same tests I had already performed. I told him SEVERAL times that I had already done this AND replaced the parts, trying to save a trip back and draining and unhooking it, etc. He was so busy trying to talk over me that he didn't hear half of what I said which was evident because I had to explain 3 more times later in the conversation that I had already done all of this stuff. I explained to him that I hadn't had hot water for 4 days and that we never even heard a buzz or anything when we turned the power on. You can usually hear a slight buzz when the element comes on to start heating.

I suggested it was a electrical or manufacturing defect possibly and he acted like this can NEVER happen. (Which I learned today does happen because a friend at work had one installed by BGE Home and it was bad right out of the box and had to bring another one in.) He didn't want to hear this. I told him everything we had done and this wasn't our first rodeo. He told me he was going to talk to his supervisor and get back with me. So I waited and waited for 10 minutes, in Lowe's on the manager's personal cell phone. He finally comes back on the line and tells me that his supervisor was going to authorize me to get. (I was really happy at this point thinking I was going to finally get hot water). 2 new elements and to go home and hook it all back up and install them and then call him back for some tests. (Proving that he wasn't listening to anything I had told him several times prior as he was trying to out talk me).

At this point I had to just hang up on him before I lost my cool in Lowe's. Long story short, AS MUCH AS IT KILLED ME to buy another one of YOUR water heaters, I was desperate at this point for hot water and went back and got the identical heater and paid another $400. And guess what? I went home, hooked it up, exactly the way we did before and it's working perfectly. I can't understand for the life of me why BILLY ** couldn't understand that this tank is bad somehow. It's not rocket science! You hook 2 power wires up, fill it with water. Run the hot faucet side until the air stops and then give it the juice. But he absolutely would not let me exchange it or give Lowe's a RA #. I even told him I wasn't refunding it, I just wanted an exchange so we could get a hot shower for God's sake. Get your tank shipped back to you and rebuild it and sell it again. Nope.

He was stuck on me dragging it back and redoing the tests and I am 100 percent sure I would have ended up having to return it AGAIN after the tests to exchange it. This experience is utterly ridiculous. Although the reason I went with an AO Smith Signature tank was because I read several reviews that really praised them and the ones from Home Depot, not so much, never again. This was my first and last AO Smith product and will seriously consider not using the other brand names you produce. I plan on posting my review every possible place I can find to stay away from AO Smith tanks and that your customer service is horrible. Now I have a brand new tank that is useless and am out $400. I hope ole BILLY ** sleeps well at night. BTW, Lowe's took all 4 replacement pieces back even though they were installed and gave me a full refund. How's that for customer service!!

Original review: July 29, 2019

Bought a new tank. 40 gal. Elec. 2 years tank started leaking. Plumbing co said it was a bad tank. Tank was under warranty. They charged me 450.00 in labor. 2 years later new tank started leaking. The plumbers told me again it was a bad tank and they see this condition a lot from this co. 450.00 dollars more and a new tank was put in. I called the customer support at A. O. Smith. The girl said, "I yes you have corroded water." I told her I had 3 other homes with different types of tanks with no problems. She said this house might be the only one in the area with bad water. No help at all. Just bad tanks.

Original review: July 25, 2019

I have rental houses, and I have had three bad electric water heaters in 6 months, I will never purchase another A.O. Smith water heater from Lowe's. Do not waste your time or money. 1st one had a leak in the tank and tenant did not notice until it had quit working. It was so rusted, it looked like it was 20 years old. They did replace the unit, but I had to pay for the labor. Since it was slightly over a year old, and since it was 3 hours away, it was very costly to me.

2nd one started screaming like a tornado siren after 5 months old. They said it was a whistling element. They did pay for a plumber to replace elements, and two months later, they are whistling again. This time they wanted me to replace the elements. And I refused, so they agreed to pay for plumber to replace elements again. They were going to replace elements with an upgraded heavy duty version. They finally did yesterday, we will see how this works, but meantime when plumber was there, he left the pop off valve open while filling the tank, and flooded the hallway. He was out in his truck on the phone. Luckily the tenant heard the water and shut valve off.

3rd one a few days ago, installed in rental an hour away. Tenant called that evening and said there was only a trickle of water coming out the hot water side. Sent handyman back out the next day to cut water lines and find obstruction. After messing around found it was not in my lines, but directly from the tank was an obstruction restricting the water flow. So had to purchase another new water heater at local hardware store, and hopefully a better brand, to be able to restore water for tenant. Then next day I got a snotty person at Lowe's telling me that I cannot return a water heater that has been installed without calling A.O. Smith first.

Well, on top of all the aggravation and time and money it cost me to deal with the junky faulty product, I did not want to waste any more of my time on it. Luckily I have connections at Lowe's, and someone else took care of it for me, but it was very upsetting. Very poor quality , don't waste your time and money. From now on, I will buy my water heaters at a plumbing supply house, where plumbers go. They told me that the water heaters are made a lot better quality for them, vs the ones made for the Box stores.

Original review: July 11, 2019

A. O. Smith warranty is almost like not having one. They will authorize replacement one part at a time but you have to pay for the labor. One service call cost at least twice as much as parts in the water heater. I spoke with Megan at no customer service. She was programmed like a robot about what to say but did not understand anything I was saying. So with no help from A. O. Smith I am paying for parts and will fix water heater myself so they achieved their goal paying nothing but maybe this review will keep someone else from having to go through this.

A. O. Smith expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Sold exclusively by plumbing wholesalers and plumbing contractors, A. O. Smith offers a broad range of residential and commercial water heaters, boilers and storage tanks. They have delivered hot water solutions to consumers for over 70 years.

• Types: A. O. Smith offers a wide range of residential and commercial water heaters. People looking for a residential water heater can choose from multiple options including gas, electric, tankless, hybrid or solar. The gas units range in capacity from 30-98 gallons while electric units range in capacity from 19.9-80 gallons.

• Remote monitoring: iCOMM Elite is A. O. Smith’s remote monitoring technology for commercial water heaters. It allows them to interact with, monitor and manage commercial water heaters. This minimizes down time for repairs which lessens the time a business is without hot water.

• Vertex water heater: The Vertex water heater was designed by A. O. Smith to have a lower manufacturing cost and save consumers a significant amount of money in energy costs. It comes in a 50-gallon power-direct vent model and a 75-gallon power-direct vent model. It has improved thermal efficiency and is easily installed.

• Product selector tool: For consumers unsure of which water heater to buy, A. O. Smith provides an interactive tool to help consumers pick the right unit. By answering a few simple questions, a list of units with prices is generated.

• Product support: Consumers can find a product support tool online in case they need product manuals, spec sheets or catalogs. If the product name or model number is unknown, there is a pre-made list of types that will guide consumers to the right model.

• Best for: Consumers looking for a wide range of residential and commercial water heater options.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs