2. Homeowners

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

A. O. Smith Water Heaters Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about A. O. Smith Water Heaters?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about A. O. Smith?

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

Installed a commercial-grade tankless gas water heater. After 2 years, the heat exchanger started leaking - short-circuited rest of unit. Had it replaced on warranty with an entire new unit. 2 years later...it starts leaking again. I have followed their recommended service schedule to de-scale water regularly. AO Smith won't replace again - claiming it has suffered heat stress. Thought it was supposed to HEAT water. Apparently not for longer than 2 years. Technical support was hard to reach, and gave different answers on why they would not honor the 5-year parts warranty - first I was told it was voided because my plumber had replaced parts before, so it could be workmanship. When I told them the entire unit was replaced (not parts) the first time, they changed the tune and now said it was not covered because I have hard water in my area. Expensive equipment - not worth the scrap copper metal I can get out of it...

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

I bought this hot water tank at Lowe’s and had it installed through Lowe’s. It rusted at 4 years. I emailed their technical support and was asked to email them pictures. I did and they have totally ignored me. I have asked them twice to email me a response. Nothing. Do not buy their products, they don’t stand behind them. They state 6-12 years not 4 years.

Get buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

The rep for A.O. Smith was very rude. The tank was one month old and they voided my warranty because I installed the tank in the same location as the old which was no longer per code. The location had nothing to do with the warranty. In fact, she told me if I would change the location of the tank, in my mom and dad's old farm house, that with pictures, they would reinstate the warranty.

Original review: July 28, 2020

Bought a 40 gallon A.O. Smith water heater from Lowe's. Got it installed and it made a horrible humming noise. Called A.O. Smith and was told it was not under warranty and couldn't be returned to Lowe's. We had it less than 24 hours and had a receipt from Lowe's. We even purchased a 5 year extend warranty. Called Lowe's and explained the situation and they said to bring it back for a refund. Once we got to Lowe's they needed a RA number to return the water heater and we told them A.O. Smith would not give us one. The Lowe's associate called and was on hold for almost 20 minutes only to be hung up on after someone finally picked up. The Lowe's associate called again and was on hold for a long period of time. She got the run around from A.O. Smith and A.O. Smith continued to refuse to give an RA number to return the faulty water heater.

After 2 1/2 hours waiting at Lowe's and many employees from Lowe's helping us, we finally got our money back. It was NOT from A.O. Smith because they refused to give us a RA number! Lowe's ate the cost for the returned water heater. NEVER, EVER will we recommend a water heater made by A.O. Smith to anyone, nor will we EVER buy one of their pieces of garbage from them. Customer service from A.O. Smith is the worst we've ever had to deal with. Words of advice, stay clear of this company and their product so you don't have to go through the same thing.

Original review: July 10, 2020

I bought a AO Smith water softener from Lowe's. I called their customer support and after 20min someone picked up my call and he does not care about the only question I had i.e. hardness settings. He blackmailed me to register my product or not get any details/help about the product. I should have read the reviews before buying a ao smith product. All of them are 1 star rating with warranty issues. This is a very bad company and I regret buying their product.

Original review: June 22, 2020

I spent a lot of money on my A. O. Smith water heater, it has a 6 yr warranty. It broke after 2.5 yrs, confirmed to be under warranty yet I still had to pay $1200 or labor. Be aware if you buy a water heater from A O Smith and it breaks because it’s terrible quality. You will still have to pay an arm and a leg to get a new one under warranty. I will never buy another product from A. O. Smith again And I hope you learn from my mistake.

Original review: May 24, 2020

Upon Installation water heater was not operating correctly after 24 hours being Installed by a professional not that should matter however in my case it does. Hot Water Heater was removed and returned to store or at least that was the plan. AO Smith is the brand of hot water heater I'm referencing that Lowe's carry. In any event I was asked for a authorization code which I didn't have and was told to notify AO Smith to get such code. Upon doing so I finally got someone to pick up. This is Sunday 5/24/20. Customer service very Rude. Was told I should have not returned said item to store and Item should have been serviced to check ohms readings and to see if heating element was bad that I could purchase from Lowe's reming you this is a new hot water heater that was Installed CORRECTLY spoke with two customer personnel one of whom hung up on me while I was talking. So I returned home with the hot water heater. More to come.

Original review: April 21, 2020

I bought an electric hot water heater from Lowe’s and it was an AO Smith. Hasn’t worked from the get go. We changed the thermostats and the heating elements. AO Smith said it was the Delta unit in the shower. (Not) Then they said it was Plumming. So by the time I jumped through all of AO Smith’s hoops still no hot water. AO Smith will not take ownership that their water heater is defective. So today I went to Menards and bought a Richmond electric water heater and hooked it up. Behold within a hour I had hot water.

Original review: March 12, 2020

I went through the process of having this hot water heater professionally installed. I watched as the plumber filled the tank and drained the air out of the lines and then plugged in the hot water heater. He waited for 2 hours and it didn’t heat up. So the next day I call Lowe’s and they tell me they don’t take back AO Smith water heaters without an authorization return from the company. So then I send over an hour on the phone with the company and they won’t issue the return authorization without making repairs on the hot water heater that they don’t pay for. It’s all on you!!! I asked them why isn’t this ridiculous process posted in Lowe’s and listed on your box. They can’t explain why. Bottom line spend a few more $$$s and get a quality hot water heater from another company. Unfortunately I didn’t check all the negative reviews before I purchased!!!

Original review: March 6, 2020

This hot water heater has been nothing but a nightmare. Constantly goes out. Drain tank restart goes back out. Bla bla bla. After 6 months this product is junk. Dont Buy.. I regret ever purchasing this garbage.

A. O. Smith author review by ConsumerAffairs

Sold exclusively by plumbing wholesalers and plumbing contractors, A. O. Smith offers a broad range of residential and commercial water heaters, boilers and storage tanks. They have delivered hot water solutions to consumers for over 70 years.

• Types: A. O. Smith offers a wide range of residential and commercial water heaters. People looking for a residential water heater can choose from multiple options including gas, electric, tankless, hybrid or solar. The gas units range in capacity from 30-98 gallons while electric units range in capacity from 19.9-80 gallons.

• Remote monitoring: iCOMM Elite is A. O. Smith’s remote monitoring technology for commercial water heaters. It allows them to interact with, monitor and manage commercial water heaters. This minimizes down time for repairs which lessens the time a business is without hot water.

• Vertex water heater: The Vertex water heater was designed by A. O. Smith to have a lower manufacturing cost and save consumers a significant amount of money in energy costs. It comes in a 50-gallon power-direct vent model and a 75-gallon power-direct vent model. It has improved thermal efficiency and is easily installed.

• Product selector tool: For consumers unsure of which water heater to buy, A. O. Smith provides an interactive tool to help consumers pick the right unit. By answering a few simple questions, a list of units with prices is generated.

• Product support: Consumers can find a product support tool online in case they need product manuals, spec sheets or catalogs. If the product name or model number is unknown, there is a pre-made list of types that will guide consumers to the right model.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team