Find a Water Heaters partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

A. O. Smith Water Heaters Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about A. O. Smith Water Heaters?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about A. O. Smith?

Original review: March 9, 2021

This water heater was experiencing problems within about 5 months of installation. I was not too concerned about that, as it was under warranty. However, since trying to contact Smith to help out with the warranty, it has been a nightmare. If you do reach their main line, they will transfer you to the same endless hold, no matter what you tell the person on the phone. I had to have a third party service tech come out and inspect the product. Cost me a $122. AO Smith claims they will reimburse up to $100 for a service call. However, there is no possible way that will happen.

When the tech was here, he tried to contact Smith to get info on what readings he was looking for. Once again, this useless company put him on hold forever. An hour later, he had to give up and leave. I have not been able to get them to respond to phone messages or emails. This company is a complete rip-off! Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. I will never buy anything from them again! Their service is the worst I have ever experienced anywhere, by any company.

Original review: March 2, 2021

Purchased a A O Smith tankless water heater thru Lowe’s, sized for shops or cabins. Water heater pulls 57 amps and cycles hot water ever few seconds. Customer service incredibly rude, stating too much flow. You would only be able to get trickle from facet or shower and at 57 amps of power draw. Absolutely ridiculous, this is a complete failure of a product and A O Smith will not stand behind there tankless units- DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM A O SMITH, unless you want to throw good money away and be treated rude by their customer service.

Get buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 2, 2021

The first tank was installed in our new house and went out within the first 12 months, the reset button caught on fire. Now less than 6 months later the second tank needs to be replaced, the heat pump compressor went out. I am reading all of these one star reviews for this product and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how they are still on the market??

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

On 2/22/2021 we replaced our leaking 10+ year old Whirlpool electric water heater with the above A O Smith model from Lowe's, Pineville, LA. I installed the new heater per provided instructions, filled the tank, checked for leaks and powered it up. 6 hours later, no hot water. I turned the breaker off, checked the wiring and found no obvious problems. I contacted A O Smith and was told it sometimes takes up to 6 hours for the water to become hot. (Case #**) It's never taken over an hour in the past?? Since then the water has gone from cold to hot to scalding, to cold to scalding and back to cold.

I consider this heater to pose a serious scalding threat and will be returning it to Lowe's as soon as possible. Whether Lowe's does the right thing and refunds the full purchase price or not, the heater will be staying at the store and I will buy a new electric water heater from a locally owned plumbing supply company. Speaking for myself, I will never buy another product from A. O. Smith.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

My experience with AO Smith water heaters is that they're just fine. The problem is when something goes wrong and I need to call customer service. I've been plumbing for 15 years. In the past I would call AO Smith to troubleshoot a commercial water heater and 5 or 10 minutes later I was talking to someone helpful. Today I called at 10:38AM for tech support. I was offered to hang up and wait for a callback without losing my place in line. I did that (last time was a 2 hour wait). It is now 1:08PM, still no return call. About 3 weeks ago, similar experience, but I did get a call back after 2 hours, except the tech support was terrible. The person talking to me didn't seem like she knew anything about water heaters. What's going on AO Smith?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I am SMSGT Wood, USAF, Ret. The A. O. Smith water heater company has the worst customer service and return policy I have ever known in my life! On 7 February 2021, I purchased a A. O. Smith water heater from Lowe's in Conway SC. The water heater was very noisy as it was heating the water and it just got worse. On 11 February 2021, I called the A. O. Smith company and the problem was never properly resolved.

I was asked to call two repair companies but the first company did NOT repair A O Smith water heater's and the second company wanted money to check it out and for their travel cost. They even asked me to replace parts on this heater! This problem was NOT my problem, it was A O Smith's responsibility to provide "ME" the customer a New water heater without operational issues. A O Smith would NOT give me a return number. I want to thank the manager of our Lowe's here in Conway SC! She was wonderful and helped me as much as possible. I just wish Lowe's would NOT sale inferior products made by inferior companies.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

This was the second worst customer service experience I have ever had; the worst was dealing with my cable company. After 3 months of reliable service, my hybrid heat pump water heater would no longer get my water hot. I also noticed that the water heater was no longer cooling the air in the vicinity of the tank as it had previously. The plumber who installed the heater came out 3 times and went through various troubleshooting steps over the phone with A.O. Smith. It was painfully apparent to me through my basic understanding of how heat pumps work, that this was an HVAC issue -- not a plumbing issue. After 6 weeks of this nonsense, AO Smith sent out a plumber of their choosing despite this obviously being an HVAC problem. Not only did he not solve the problem, their plumber tried to shake me down for $199!

After 4 months of back-and-forth with AO Smith customer service, they finally agreed to replace the water heater and they gave me detailed instructions on how to get reimbursed. I followed their instructions precisely only to be told today that my claim was denied because it wasn't submitted through the distributor -- which they never previously mentioned. AO Smith is a terrible, terrible, terrible company with which to deal. Of the countless phone calls, I only ever encountered 1 customer service rep who actually listened to me. I did get the original replaced, but I'm still fighting for the labor reimbursement. I will take cold showers before I will buy another AO Smith product.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

I spent $500 to get the brand new AO Smith water heater installed (bought from Lowe's). Water heater didn't work after installed, AO Smith customer support mentioned that "Gas valve" may be faulty and they shipped a new valve. The second valve also didn't work (I hired handyman for this work), so they said they will have to ship a third one. This time they sent their hired installer for the third gas valve and the third valve also didn't work. At this point I reached out to them to fix the water heater or replace it. They offered me two resolutions

1. They asked me to Uninstall the water heater and return it to the store and exchange for a new water heater (this will cost me $500 to hire handyman and a van again, remember the water heater is 10 days old and falls under Lowe's return policy) and they said they will provide $150 for install (Install quotes in Bay Area are close to $1000).

2. They will ship another gas valve (4th)

It didn't make sense for me that they are asking me to do all the work of returning, replacing and installing for $150 instead of they fixing the issues (Install quotes itself in Bay Area are close to $1000). When I raised a concern and requested them to do the work of replacing and installing, they said they only provide a "limited warranty" and all they can do is provide $150 for me to uninstall, transport the water heater, get a new water heater and get it installed. This is deceit and cheating. They sold me a new water heater, which was defective and they are not taking ownership of repairing it or replacing it with their own dime. (Their offer of $150 doesn't cover 1/10th of the cost).

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

Installed a commercial-grade tankless gas water heater. After 2 years, the heat exchanger started leaking - short-circuited rest of unit. Had it replaced on warranty with an entire new unit. 2 years later...it starts leaking again. I have followed their recommended service schedule to de-scale water regularly. AO Smith won't replace again - claiming it has suffered heat stress. Thought it was supposed to HEAT water. Apparently not for longer than 2 years. Technical support was hard to reach, and gave different answers on why they would not honor the 5-year parts warranty - first I was told it was voided because my plumber had replaced parts before, so it could be workmanship. When I told them the entire unit was replaced (not parts) the first time, they changed the tune and now said it was not covered because I have hard water in my area. Expensive equipment - not worth the scrap copper metal I can get out of it...

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

I bought this hot water tank at Lowe’s and had it installed through Lowe’s. It rusted at 4 years. I emailed their technical support and was asked to email them pictures. I did and they have totally ignored me. I have asked them twice to email me a response. Nothing. Do not buy their products, they don’t stand behind them. They state 6-12 years not 4 years.

A. O. Smith author review by ConsumerAffairs

Sold exclusively by plumbing wholesalers and plumbing contractors, A. O. Smith offers a broad range of residential and commercial water heaters, boilers and storage tanks. They have delivered hot water solutions to consumers for over 70 years.

• Types: A. O. Smith offers a wide range of residential and commercial water heaters. People looking for a residential water heater can choose from multiple options including gas, electric, tankless, hybrid or solar. The gas units range in capacity from 30-98 gallons while electric units range in capacity from 19.9-80 gallons.

• Remote monitoring: iCOMM Elite is A. O. Smith’s remote monitoring technology for commercial water heaters. It allows them to interact with, monitor and manage commercial water heaters. This minimizes down time for repairs which lessens the time a business is without hot water.

• Vertex water heater: The Vertex water heater was designed by A. O. Smith to have a lower manufacturing cost and save consumers a significant amount of money in energy costs. It comes in a 50-gallon power-direct vent model and a 75-gallon power-direct vent model. It has improved thermal efficiency and is easily installed.

• Product selector tool: For consumers unsure of which water heater to buy, A. O. Smith provides an interactive tool to help consumers pick the right unit. By answering a few simple questions, a list of units with prices is generated.

• Product support: Consumers can find a product support tool online in case they need product manuals, spec sheets or catalogs. If the product name or model number is unknown, there is a pre-made list of types that will guide consumers to the right model.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team