2. Homeowners

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

A. O. Smith Water Heaters Reviews

Original review: April 21, 2020

I bought an electric hot water heater from Lowe’s and it was an AO Smith. Hasn’t worked from the get go. We changed the thermostats and the heating elements. AO Smith said it was the Delta unit in the shower. (Not) Then they said it was Plumming. So by the time I jumped through all of AO Smith’s hoops still no hot water. AO Smith will not take ownership that their water heater is defective. So today I went to Menards and bought a Richmond electric water heater and hooked it up. Behold within a hour I had hot water.

Original review: March 12, 2020

I went through the process of having this hot water heater professionally installed. I watched as the plumber filled the tank and drained the air out of the lines and then plugged in the hot water heater. He waited for 2 hours and it didn’t heat up. So the next day I call Lowe’s and they tell me they don’t take back AO Smith water heaters without an authorization return from the company. So then I send over an hour on the phone with the company and they won’t issue the return authorization without making repairs on the hot water heater that they don’t pay for. It’s all on you!!! I asked them why isn’t this ridiculous process posted in Lowe’s and listed on your box. They can’t explain why. Bottom line spend a few more $$$s and get a quality hot water heater from another company. Unfortunately I didn’t check all the negative reviews before I purchased!!!

Get buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 6, 2020

This hot water heater has been nothing but a nightmare. Constantly goes out. Drain tank restart goes back out. Bla bla bla. After 6 months this product is junk. Dont Buy.. I regret ever purchasing this garbage.

Original review: March 6, 2020

I bought a 50 gal A.O. Smith water heater from Lowes in Oct 2019, after electrician installed it, it never would keep up with even 2 showers back to back, then the pop off valve starter leaking and eventually blew water all over my basement. I bought another just like it and returned the 1st to Lowes and was told I needed a RA#. Fortunately I spend A LOT of $$ with Lowes because I flip houses and the manager took it back.

So I install #2 water heater and THE VERY SAME PROBLEM - not enough hot water and the pop-off valve starts leaking. After numerous phone calls and being given service repair companies phone numbers I was either told they couldn't come out or would charge if they didn't find a problem. So I had my electrician check it out but found no issue with the elements??? I replace the pop-off valve and it still leaks!! Now after another lengthy phone call to AO Smith, with some kid that sounds like he is still in high school, they want to send out another technician out.....Moral of story - DON'T BUY AN A.O. SMITH water heater.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I purchased a 40 Gal. NG Hot Water Heater from Lowe's February 2018. I have had this for 2 years and you can not even finish a shower without running out of hot water. After calling them and obtaining information for a service call and being told that this is under warranty, I find out from the plumber that this service call will cost me anywhere from $150-$225 out of pocket. He told me that only the parts are covered. I only went with this company because my last hot water heater from them lasted over 20 years. This piece of crap only made it 2 years??? Plus, what good is a warranty that I have to pay over $200 out of pocket for after paying over $700 for the piece of crap water heater. Extremely poor customer service and I will tell everyone I know.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about A. O. Smith?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

My water source is from a well on my property. As my holding tank empties the water pressure is low and when the well pump starts the pressure increases quickly and the new water coming in is colder. The instant hot water tank can not respond quick enough and the water temperature drops almost 15 degrees for at least ten seconds leaving you with really cold water in the shower every few minutes. Called tech support and they say everything is working fine. That’s normal. Ripping this thing out this week!!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

A.O. SMITH EXTREMELY unreliable brand. DO NOT BUY. I had one that had to be replaced under warranty after just 4 years of service. This cost me $650 in labor because - while the water heater was covered under warranty - labor to install the new one was not.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

Had my expensive AO Smith heat pump water heater go out for a bad upper heating element. The plumber I hired called AO Smith CS and had to walk their rep through their own owner's manual. No help at all. Product is still under warranty, but they are in no apparent rush to get the parts to me. Over 1 week now and still no replacement element received. Customer Service is really worthless and the company can't seem to handle shipping out their own parts. I will avoid buying anything from them in the future.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

Our tank (high end) lasted 6 years 5 months and A.O. Smith told us too bad so sad you have a 6 YEAR warranty - buy another tank. Really - where is your customer loyalty? Your tanks are made to fail shortly after your warranty so the consumer has to buy another one. Just a sorry excuse for a operating customer company of a product needed in every home. If you are going to buy a water heater - STAY AWAY FROM A O SMITH!!!! We gave them every chance to make this right by even giving us some credit towards a new one by calling the Western Canada Rep - BUT NO WAY!!!! SO SAY NO WAY TO A O SMITH WHEN CHOOSING YOUR NEXT WATER HEATER!!!! If it looks like a lemon - it's a lemon.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

We bought a Reliance water heater online through a company in my hometown. A certified plumber installed it for us. Before the 1 year warranty was out we noticed leaking and called our plumber. He came to look at it, and together we called the company. They said the manifold was was defective and sent a new one to have our plumber put in for us. Not a year later, it began to leak again. My son was emptying a 5 gallon bucket of water everyday. We called the plumber. He said there was nothing he could do. We called the company. They said to take pictures and send them to the company. We filmed it and sent it in to them to show where the water was leaking. They told us to take pictures. We did so. The company said to take it apart and take pictures of the coils. I told him the manual stated if we touched it our warranty would be void. They still insisted that we take it apart.

I did my best and took pictures. They told us they wanted pictures of the coils. (What?!!) I didn't know what I was doing, or what they wanted from me. My son took more of it apart, but still unsure of what they wanted. We just wanted our money back or for them to replace the whole system. Nothing. We were terribly dissatisfied. We spend thousands of dollars on the purchase and having the plumber come repair the system. I will not recommend a Reliance Water Heater to anyone!

A. O. Smith author review by ConsumerAffairs

Sold exclusively by plumbing wholesalers and plumbing contractors, A. O. Smith offers a broad range of residential and commercial water heaters, boilers and storage tanks. They have delivered hot water solutions to consumers for over 70 years.

• Types: A. O. Smith offers a wide range of residential and commercial water heaters. People looking for a residential water heater can choose from multiple options including gas, electric, tankless, hybrid or solar. The gas units range in capacity from 30-98 gallons while electric units range in capacity from 19.9-80 gallons.

• Remote monitoring: iCOMM Elite is A. O. Smith’s remote monitoring technology for commercial water heaters. It allows them to interact with, monitor and manage commercial water heaters. This minimizes down time for repairs which lessens the time a business is without hot water.

• Vertex water heater: The Vertex water heater was designed by A. O. Smith to have a lower manufacturing cost and save consumers a significant amount of money in energy costs. It comes in a 50-gallon power-direct vent model and a 75-gallon power-direct vent model. It has improved thermal efficiency and is easily installed.

• Product selector tool: For consumers unsure of which water heater to buy, A. O. Smith provides an interactive tool to help consumers pick the right unit. By answering a few simple questions, a list of units with prices is generated.

• Product support: Consumers can find a product support tool online in case they need product manuals, spec sheets or catalogs. If the product name or model number is unknown, there is a pre-made list of types that will guide consumers to the right model.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team