Find a Water Heaters partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

A. O. Smith Water Heaters Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about A. O. Smith Water Heaters?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about A. O. Smith?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I purchased my AO Smith hot water heater in June 21, it's Sept & I contacted my plumber because of the sulphur smell.. AOS said it's not covered... Replace a new zinc anode rod.. What a bunch of **... Buy from someone else...

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Our Plumber contacted A O Smith on our behalf regarding a problem with a water heater. They suggested we needed a replacement part and it was ordered. It was to arrive in 3-5 days. It did not arrive and we bought a part locally after 2 weeks. I contacted the company in order to cancel the order since we had not received it yet. They said they had no record of the order so it would not be a problem, but if it should show up we should refuse delivery. A week later the part arrived and we did as instructed and refused delivery. It clearly had been mailed after our phone call. They billed credit card anyway. I disputed the charge and they refused to refund the entire amount, claiming they were entitled to a "restocking" fee. I was surprised as they had a reputation as an honest, professional company. I would be very careful and hesitant to do any business with this company.

Get buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 22, 2021

Unit leaked upon install, heated to 95 degrees only, should be 120-130. Warranty service try to repair and I have to call again. I need this unit switched out, inside rusted from leaking also, recommended a no buy.

Original review: July 19, 2021

Had a contractor install a brand new AO Smith electric tank water heater on 6/27/21. Had rust inside the tank and contractor had me run my hot water into the bathtub for approx 1 hr. They said they had to clear the rust out of the tank and using any other faucet would clog them. That was my first red flag! Now two weeks later, there is still rusty, dirty water coming from this tank. The contractor says that it has to be my water line. But this never happened with my old water heater that was 15 years old! Had my lines checked out and it is indeed the water heater that has rust inside it.

Now I am trying to work with the contractor to have this water heater removed and they seem reluctant to do anything saying that if I don't pay for the water heater, they will put a lien on my property! This water heater is faulty and I don't want to pay $2200 for a bad product. Also, the contractor, crammed it into a closet alongside my furnace and now there is not enough room to service the furnace. Don't buy any AO Smith electric water heater! On FB they advertise that their water heaters are made in the USA. Mine was made in Mexico!

Original review: July 12, 2021

The pilot light won't stay lit and blower will not start. After 1 year, only parts are covered. I had a Bradford White that stayed good for 11 years without any complaints. AO Smith Model GPVL-50 started not heating water just after 2 years. For authorized technicians I have to wait for 4 days to get it fixed. Hope they have parts available and it works after that without trouble. The contractor bought it for me and thought this will stay without trouble for at least 4 or 5 years.

Original review: June 27, 2021

I purchased a AO Smith water heater model # G6-MH3030NV for my home in late Jan. 2018. In June 2018 I called because the water temp was HIGH. I was sent a new (HONEYWELL) controller without having to explain why. That 2nd (HONEYWELL) one was installed in 09/2019. I was able manipulate the first one by changing the temps until I could get the second one installed. The second one started acting up and we got by until our 3rd one was installed in 8/2020. The 3rd has worked for a little bit but, I've had to keep lowering the temperature until I have now reached the "vac" vacation setting.

The "VAC" setting is supposed to only heat the water to 55 degrees Fahrenheit. The water coming out of my faucets is 144 degrees Fahrenheit. Pilot or OFF are all I have left!! I've emailed AO Smith with NO response. This was approximately 3 weeks ago. I work full time. I don't have ALL day!! They haven't emailed me. Doesn't seem that they care!! I've already been scalded to the point of having permanent red marks on one of my fingers!!!! Don't buy AO smith water heaters!!!! And don't buy "HONEYWELL" anything!!!

Original review: June 25, 2021

The product was defective upon arrival. The warranty didn't cover repairs. We had a professional installed three of the A.O. Smith Signature Premier 40-Gallon Tall 12-year Limited 40000-BTU Natural Gas Water Heater tanks (G12-CADT4040NV). One of them failed twice within 3 weeks. The pilot light does not spark at all, so we've been without hot water for a week now. Our plumber says it will cost about $200 to replace the gas valve, which AO Smith thinks should resolve the issue. AO Smith insists they will only cover $100 of the labor. Why should the consumer pay an extra $100 out of pocket to repair a product that was shipped from the factory defective? AO Smith should be ashamed of themselves. I'll be avoiding this company in the future.

Original review: March 9, 2021

This water heater was experiencing problems within about 5 months of installation. I was not too concerned about that, as it was under warranty. However, since trying to contact Smith to help out with the warranty, it has been a nightmare. If you do reach their main line, they will transfer you to the same endless hold, no matter what you tell the person on the phone. I had to have a third party service tech come out and inspect the product. Cost me a $122. AO Smith claims they will reimburse up to $100 for a service call. However, there is no possible way that will happen.

When the tech was here, he tried to contact Smith to get info on what readings he was looking for. Once again, this useless company put him on hold forever. An hour later, he had to give up and leave. I have not been able to get them to respond to phone messages or emails. This company is a complete rip-off! Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. I will never buy anything from them again! Their service is the worst I have ever experienced anywhere, by any company.

Original review: March 2, 2021

Purchased a A O Smith tankless water heater thru Lowe’s, sized for shops or cabins. Water heater pulls 57 amps and cycles hot water ever few seconds. Customer service incredibly rude, stating too much flow. You would only be able to get trickle from facet or shower and at 57 amps of power draw. Absolutely ridiculous, this is a complete failure of a product and A O Smith will not stand behind there tankless units- DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM A O SMITH, unless you want to throw good money away and be treated rude by their customer service.

Original review: March 2, 2021

The first tank was installed in our new house and went out within the first 12 months, the reset button caught on fire. Now less than 6 months later the second tank needs to be replaced, the heat pump compressor went out. I am reading all of these one star reviews for this product and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how they are still on the market??

A. O. Smith author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Sold exclusively by plumbing wholesalers and plumbing contractors, A. O. Smith offers a broad range of residential and commercial water heaters, boilers and storage tanks. They have delivered hot water solutions to consumers for over 70 years.

• Types: A. O. Smith offers a wide range of residential and commercial water heaters. People looking for a residential water heater can choose from multiple options including gas, electric, tankless, hybrid or solar. The gas units range in capacity from 30-98 gallons while electric units range in capacity from 19.9-80 gallons.

• Remote monitoring: iCOMM Elite is A. O. Smith’s remote monitoring technology for commercial water heaters. It allows them to interact with, monitor and manage commercial water heaters. This minimizes down time for repairs which lessens the time a business is without hot water.

• Vertex water heater: The Vertex water heater was designed by A. O. Smith to have a lower manufacturing cost and save consumers a significant amount of money in energy costs. It comes in a 50-gallon power-direct vent model and a 75-gallon power-direct vent model. It has improved thermal efficiency and is easily installed.

• Product selector tool: For consumers unsure of which water heater to buy, A. O. Smith provides an interactive tool to help consumers pick the right unit. By answering a few simple questions, a list of units with prices is generated.

• Product support: Consumers can find a product support tool online in case they need product manuals, spec sheets or catalogs. If the product name or model number is unknown, there is a pre-made list of types that will guide consumers to the right model.

A. O. Smith Water Heaters Company Information