Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

A. O. Smith Water Heaters Reviews

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

After 5 years of great service our water heater started acting up. The plumber says 15 days until they can come out to fix, A. O. Smith stood behind the warranty and sent the much needed parts next day. I mean the very next day at no cost not even for shipping. I've never dealt with a warranty issue this easily. Simple install, Great company, great customer service. I look forward to many more years using their products.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

I bought a lifetime warranty water heater 19 years ago. It sprung a leak and A.O. Smith gave me a brand new water heater at no cost. I called A.O Smith and they gave me a return authorization number. I took that and the old water heater back to Lowe's. Lowe's gave me a store credit for a water heater comparable to the one I bought in 2000. I paid $269 back in 2000 and Lowe's gave me a store credit for $500. I added another $200 and bought an A.O. Smith heat pump water heater. They do not offer lifetime warranties anymore but hopefully my new one will last another 19 years. My new one has a 10 year warranty.

Get expert buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Installed an A.O. Smith water heater about a year ago for a customer. The unit failed at the dielectric fitting. After speaking to their customer service they issued a full exchange at Lowe's. I was expecting a hassle at Lowe's and it was painless. Great customer service all the way around. Thanks.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

A.O. Smith 40,000 Grain H2O Softener SUCKS. ABSOLUTELY ROTTEN! Bought A.O. Smith Water Softener from Lowe's. Installed by plumber recommended by store. 2 hr. labor $s for install was as much as the cost of the softener. Unit failed after 2 mo. use. After speaking with 6 of Lowe's employees, I was transferred to A.O. Smith. They are sending me the repair parts and have given me a $100 Claim # against another plumber's repair bill. USA! USA! USA! I am presently out $988.27, with a water softener that is junk! I will never again buy anything from either Lowe's or A. O. Smith. I do not think this is the way business is now done in the USA, but I surely do know how Lowe's and A.O.Smith conduct their business! SUCKS!!!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I purchased new A. O. Smith electric water heater. Its both heating elements failed within half year. It continues to fail, I called customer service and several tech have been really unhelpful, they even raised their voice to me. I have called more than 5 times today to do exactly what they told me to do and the water is still not hot. The techs refused to replace the water heather. They takes all of your time, but do not want to spend less than $300 cost to replace the bad one and let you pay up to a thousand dollars to replace parts. It is a nightmare to purchase their water heater. Please stay away from this maker for water heater.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about A. O. Smith?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

A. O. Smith is a horrible company. Their warranty is de. A. O. Smith is a horrible company to do business with. Please note their warranty is non transferable. So if you're buying a home that has their products the warranty will be void or greatly reduced. They also base the warranty from the date of manufacturing vs. the installation date. So if your water heater had been sitting in the warehouse for months or years prior to your purchase that time is deducted from your warranty.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

If I could give NO STARS I would. The water heater I had for 17 years went out so I went to Lowe's to purchase a new one. I wish I would had research this brand first. After having it installed the water pressure only on the HOT WATER side was low (NEVER had that issue with the old heater). So I looked at the user manual and it stated on page 26 that the issue would be Melted Dip Tube OR partially closed supply value. Well the value was okay so the only option left per the user manual was the dip tube.

I called the customer service and the guy I spoke with said there was a link in my home and I need to call a plumber. I had a plumber come out and I paid $100 for them to tell me there was NO leak in my home. So I called back and the same guy was like I could had swore that was the issue. So I told him that per the user manual what it said. Of course he did not even know what I was talking about. So then I spoke with a female that gave me a authorization code to use to call another Plumber out. She didn't give me a plumber to call just a authorization number. So I called back and spoke with someone else who said the first lady should had gave me the plumber to speak with.

They sent out a dip tube and gave me the plumber to call to come out for which they said they would pay for. Well another plumber came out and they also stated that there was no leak in my home but that there is some kind of part you can purchase from Lowe's to connect onto the heater to make the water come out faster. The plumber did not even look at the dip tube. Fast forward 2 weeks later. I receive a bill from the plumber saying that AO SMITH did not cover/honor the authorization code since the issue was not the dip tube.

Nowhere in any conversation of the 4 individuals I spoke with say that you would receive a bill from ANOTHER plumber. Granted I had already paid for a previous plumber to check my home for a leakage that did not exist but that AO SMITH said that was the issue. Then I called to speak with a manager by the name of DEE that was RUDE AND DID NOT LISTEN TO ANYTHING I WAS SAYING. I asked for someone to listen to ALL RECORDED CALLS REGARDING THIS ISSUE. I told her that AO SMITH said it was the dip tube since it was not leakage in my home.

After FINALLY getting her to listen to what I was saying she was like she would have someone to listen to the calls. I asked how long would that take since most companies would give a estimated time of listening to the call such as 5-7 business days. She said she don't know and they would just call me back. That is not professional or acceptable. Do I expect to hear back from this company in a timely fashion, NO. I would recommend to NOT BUY ANY PRODUCTS from this company. Based on the reviews I see online this company need to have a class action lawsuit against them.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I purchased new A. O. Smith electric water heater. Its both heating elements failed within half year with city water. It continues to fail the heating elements every half year within two years until the service tech refused to replace the heating elements. But A. O. Smith warranty does not allow for a replacement of the water heater. They takes all of your time, but do not want to spend less than $300 cost to replace the bad one and let you pay up to a thousand dollars to replace parts. It is a nightmare to purchase their water heater. Please stay away from this maker for water heater.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

Avoid this company. We own a two-year-old AOSmith heat pump water heater, which recently filled our basement with acrid black smoke that took two days to dissipate. When we first discovered the smoke, we cut power to the unit to stop it from smoking and waited for the plumber. The plumber could see and smell the smoke from the unit but could not determine where inside the unit it was coming from.

When we called the warranty line at AOSmith to report this, they said the plumber needed to come back and they would guide him through a series of steps to help him find visible scorching inside the unit. The plumber came back and walked through AOSmith's prescribed steps but could not find any scorched parts. The company's representative told us, in a monotone voice (reading from scripted remarks, it seemed) that because there was no visible scorching there was no manufacturing defect, so the warranty would not cover repairing or replacing the unit.

There is clearly a defect, unless spewing black, acrid smoke is something the heater is supposed to do. And if it happened once it will probably happen again, perhaps when we're not home. Every time we leave the house for an extended period of time we feel the need to turn off the power to the unit so it doesn't catch on fire, which means that we have to wait several hours for hot water if we're away for a few days. (The representative I spoke with said there's a trip switch that cuts off power to the unit if it catches on fire, but if the unit is already on fire, how would that help?) The company obviously doesn't care about their defective products, and doesn't seem to care that their heater could start a fire that could burn our house to the ground. AOSmith won't stand behind their water heaters. If something goes wrong, you're on your own. Buy from a more responsible company.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I purchased this item A. O. Smith 30 gallon gas hot water heater. Had it professionally installed. The technician had to make three trips to finally get me going 3 days later. I definitely do not recommend this hot water heater to anyone's. What a bad experience.

A. O. Smith expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Sold exclusively by plumbing wholesalers and plumbing contractors, A. O. Smith offers a broad range of residential and commercial water heaters, boilers and storage tanks. They have delivered hot water solutions to consumers for over 70 years.

• Types: A. O. Smith offers a wide range of residential and commercial water heaters. People looking for a residential water heater can choose from multiple options including gas, electric, tankless, hybrid or solar. The gas units range in capacity from 30-98 gallons while electric units range in capacity from 19.9-80 gallons.

• Remote monitoring: iCOMM Elite is A. O. Smith’s remote monitoring technology for commercial water heaters. It allows them to interact with, monitor and manage commercial water heaters. This minimizes down time for repairs which lessens the time a business is without hot water.

• Vertex water heater: The Vertex water heater was designed by A. O. Smith to have a lower manufacturing cost and save consumers a significant amount of money in energy costs. It comes in a 50-gallon power-direct vent model and a 75-gallon power-direct vent model. It has improved thermal efficiency and is easily installed.

• Product selector tool: For consumers unsure of which water heater to buy, A. O. Smith provides an interactive tool to help consumers pick the right unit. By answering a few simple questions, a list of units with prices is generated.

• Product support: Consumers can find a product support tool online in case they need product manuals, spec sheets or catalogs. If the product name or model number is unknown, there is a pre-made list of types that will guide consumers to the right model.

• Best for: Consumers looking for a wide range of residential and commercial water heater options.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs