3.9/5 (93 ratings)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Ecosmart Water Heater Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ecosmart Water Heater?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ecosmart Water Heater?

Original review: May 16, 2022

Purchased the ECO27 water heater in 2013. Have done recommended maintenance and replaced the thermistors in 2020. Since then continue to experience poor performance. Local plumber diagnosed faulty heat elements that require replacement. Requested new elements under the lifetime warranty specified in Paragraph 5 (Page 11) -- Warranty procedure for service. Customer service requires photo of the elements in order to approve replacement. This will require another plumber service call to remove and take pics. According to the warranty, there is no requirement for the Buyer to provide photos of defective parts that have been determined to be defective by a licensed plumber.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

I purchased a Ecosmart ECO 18 tankless hot water heater in May of 2021 from Amazon. I installed myself to take place of another tankless unit already in home that failed. I filled out the online warranty info and submitted to company within the 30 day time frame. There was no hot water from unit the evening of December the 24th. After checking, there was one of the two heating elements that had failed. Calling their customer service line after the holiday weekend without hot water, I was informed that there was no warranty since I was not licensed. I have several years experience in home repairs, electrical and plumbing. Plus, I only replaced another unit with this new one. I have completely rewired a previous home.

After talking to a different rep. she told me they never received my warranty info and since I did purchase from amazon, again no warranty. Called several times and different reps and supervisors all said different things, but all said no warranty and there was absolutely no assistance. Their web site even states "unless otherwise approved" and gives instruction for customer to install but says nothing about this voids your warranty. Who could approve this, all managers interacted with on calls declined. The last rep left me on hold for 38 minutes until I finally just hung up. They will not assist in a simple part failure that has nothing to do with install. Terrible customer service, watch out for the very fine print hidden on contradicting company website!!!!

Get buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 26, 2021

We installed a Emporia Energy Vue. Our electric bill has been double what it was last year. Come to realize the Eco Smart product draws constant energy ($0.18) per hour! I decided to turn the break off because this product is very costly to operate.

Original review: July 3, 2021

I bought the Ecosmart water heater (Eco 11 11910209) in Home Depot in June 2017. I only bought it because the company offered a lifetime warranty for residential use in Continental USA. I did not register the warranty because I did not know, and it was not clear from the package. However, I think it is safe to assume that the date of purchase does not count for a true lifetime warranty. Now the water heater is broken, and Ecosmart U.S. (aka ECOSMART GREEN ENERGY PRODUCTS) does not want to fix it or replace it for free. I am not sure how fair this is, as again, it is supposed to be under the LIFETIME warranty. What kind of business is this? Companies pay a lot of money to keep their current customers happy. Ecosmart U.S. does not care about their customers at all.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

I purchased a house with an Ecosmart Tankless Water Heater and it has been a nightmare. First, they will not transfer the warranty and for the 2nd time since 2018 the wires have burnt out and all need to be replaced. This system is very expensive and having to replace all the parts and pay for a plumber to do it is unacceptable. Do not waste your money.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

I had the Eco27 installed a year ago and it worked very well, and went through a Quebec winter without a hitch. A month ago it started to misbehave, losing heat during a shower and going cold after less than a minute. I followed all the troubleshooting guides, first descaling the elements, then replacing the flow switch, then replacing the thermistors. All those steps are very doable, the only delay being getting the replacement parts.

The problem now is exactly the same as it was several weeks ago when I started the trouble shooting. Each time I contact the support e-mail, they send me another copy of the troubleshooting guide. There is not all that much more that one can replace, notwithstanding the troubleshooting guide. Next I'll replace the fuse, though I can't see how that will change anything. Instead of replacing the elements, the tubes around which which all get blistering hot when water gets switched on, I think I'll put this on the dump and get a better one.

Original review: April 21, 2020

Purchased Eco18 based on chart and recommendation on internet (a number of companies use the "eco chart"). It is incorrect, and they all seem to know it. I purchased an undersized product because the guide was way off. They (ECO) had me purchase a reducer for $70 (counting shipping). I spent a bundle running the electric under my house, troubleshoot the problem, was misled by tech support, but figured it out anyway. After waiting 5 hours for a return call, called again, got lied to, read to by a "troubleshooting script", and basically had the tech just give up.

Anyway, they are horrible; a very competent technician helped me from Rheem, and knew exactly what I was referring to, and commented on how the eco guide was "off' for a somewhat northern state. Also, they (ECO) do not replace the equipment nor give refunds or accept any kind of product responsibility. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM. THEY ARE HORRIBLE. I am also reporting this to both the BBB and the attorney general of Connecticut. They lie, have horrible support (basically none), and do not stand behind their product. BIG MISTAKE!!!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I live in the country, in the middle of nowhere and have 2 full bathrooms in my home. I had a regular sized water heater that had only a limited amount of “hot” water. In the winter it took a long time to warm up and would run out before filling the bathtub. In the summer, it was better but we could only fill one bath at a time before running out of hot water.

18 months ago I replaced the big Bertha water heater for the “fun size” wall mounted tankless water heater. Ohhhh my word!!! It's made a huge difference. It only takes a few seconds to reach 130 degrees (that’s what I keep it set to but it’s adjustable) and I never run out of hot water. We've fill both tubs at the same time, while washing a load of laundry and washing dishes. Was not a problem. I haven’t had any problems and if I ever move, my fun sized water heater is coming with me.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

This has been the worst experience dealing with and trying to contact this company- their hours of operation are so limited to the consumer especially if you work a full time job 5-6 days a week. They do not answer phones or emails on weekends nor do they ship products out. I placed an order on a Monday before 11am which according to their sales rep was perfect in order to get my order processed and shipped out that day and because I live in NY should be at my door within a day. 2 days go by and still no product at my door.

Mind you I have been without hot water for 7 days at this point. I called the company only to find out that they lied about pretty much everything- the parts I ordered and paid for were out of stock, the NY ship in 1 day was completely made up and they said it would not get to me for another almost 6 days... Let me put it mildly when I say I blew a gasket and let this person have it. I said to him, "What if I didnt call? I would just have waited and waited until the parts arrived or lack thereof?" They all seem extremely incompetent and have no idea what is going on. I am going to take this to higher power and see what can be done for this horrifying experience.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I have a 3 year old EcoSmart36 that has burnt out. You can't get anywhere with customer service. They are just message takers. I filled out the requested form to see if they will back their lifetime warranty and that is where it lies. No response - just gate keepers. BUYER BEWARE. - STAY AWAY FROM THIS PRODUCT.

Ecosmart Water Heater author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

EcoSmart provides tankless water heaters for homes and businesses that can save consumers up to 50 percent on their water heating bill. They also offer pool and spa heaters as well as radiant heating units which heat your home from the ground up.

• Types: EcoSmart provides eight models of electric, tankless water heaters. The model consumers choose will depend on their climate, home size and how many people live at the residence. Each unit is equipped with a self-modulating technology which can adjust energy output based on hot water needs.

• Applications: EcoSmart’s tankless water heaters can be applied four ways: point-of-use, whole house, water heater booster or solar extender/backup. Point-of-use is used for isolated hot water use. The whole-house option provides hot water to an entire home. The water heater booster can be installed next to a tank system to extend the capacity of the tank. The solar extender ensures a tank will never run out of hot water.

• Radiant heating: Radiant heating is an alternative, cost-effective way to provide heat to a home. Rather than using forced air through ducts, radiant heating heats from the ground up using hot water. EcoSmart has six units that can provide hot water for radiant heating and they are compatible with hardwood, carpet, vinyl and tile flooring.

• Business solutions: EcoSmart’s tankless units ensure instant and consistent hot water for businesses such as restaurants and large developments like apartments, malls or retail tenants. Consumers can find a toll-free number online that will connect them with a representative to discuss their business’ water heating needs.

• Self-modulating technology: Most tankless systems operate by a flow switch that activates around one gallon per minute (GPM). EcoSmart patented a self-modulating control that activates at 0.25 GPM. This flow sensor regulates energy use to meet hot water demand during each use. Units with this technology come with a digital display showing consumers the outlet water temperature and allowing for temperature adjustment.

Ecosmart Water Heater Company Information