Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Ecosmart Water Heater Reviews

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

This has been the worst experience dealing with and trying to contact this company- their hours of operation are so limited to the consumer especially if you work a full time job 5-6 days a week. They do not answer phones or emails on weekends nor do they ship products out. I placed an order on a Monday before 11am which according to their sales rep was perfect in order to get my order processed and shipped out that day and because I live in NY should be at my door within a day. 2 days go by and still no product at my door.

Mind you I have been without hot water for 7 days at this point. I called the company only to find out that they lied about pretty much everything- the parts I ordered and paid for were out of stock, the NY ship in 1 day was completely made up and they said it would not get to me for another almost 6 days... Let me put it mildly when I say I blew a gasket and let this person have it. I said to him, "What if I didnt call? I would just have waited and waited until the parts arrived or lack thereof?" They all seem extremely incompetent and have no idea what is going on. I am going to take this to higher power and see what can be done for this horrifying experience.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I have a 3 year old EcoSmart36 that has burnt out. You can't get anywhere with customer service. They are just message takers. I filled out the requested form to see if they will back their lifetime warranty and that is where it lies. No response - just gate keepers. BUYER BEWARE. - STAY AWAY FROM THIS PRODUCT.

Get expert buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

In 2016 I purchased an ECO Smart 18 that came with a lifetime warranty. This past weekend I noticed I had no hot water and found that a circuit breaker had kicked off. I checked the hot water heater only to find a fire hazard in the making as one heating element was sparking and leaking water. I contacted Ecosmart and said my warranty was "Inactive" so they denied any replacement or warranty whatever that means. My advice is to stay clear of all ECO Smart products (made in China) and find a reputable manufacturer that will honor their warranty.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

The company asked me the buyer to do the troubleshooting. She then asked if I have hired an Electrician to fix my Water Heater. As if I am suppose to pay to fix the Faulty Device. Still refusing to fix or replace the Water Heater, and want to send parts for me to fix it. What Company does this? Horrible Product, and this is my second one that has gone bad and quit. Terrible Company to not stand behind their product. Please do not buy this product..

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

First one I purchased lasted a little over a year before it started leaking, customers service said it was due to lack of maintenance. Second one last a little over a year and started leaking but this time it started a fire inside the unit, burning the wires to a crisp. I'm waiting for the excuses from Ecosmart about this one. I have pictures to prove to them what happened.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ecosmart Water Heater?

Original review: July 21, 2017

The installation was a lovely and simple process. I did not do much of anything, just stood around in my robe while some strapping young men installed it for me. Afterward, I gave them lemonade. I do rather like the fact that it had "Eco" in the name. I attempt to live a fairly environmentally friendly lifestyle and this helps me feel like I'm adding to that goal. However, the water from this heater does not seem to get very hot. Perhaps that could be based on user error, but I have altered settings and it doesn't ever seem to get quite as toasty as I would like it to. Overall it has been a fairly decent experience. It has performed its job adequately, if not impressively, though that could be due to the capacity or possibly due to user error, as if I would ever admit that.

Original review: July 15, 2017

The unit was Installed by builders perfectly. It was in the home when we arrived and the area was spotless with no complaints or issues - we were impressed and are happy. The water temperature is good and consistent. There is always enough time for normal evening use - no leaks experienced - the family is happy. It has been Reliable.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I had 2 great installers. They were on time, a bit early in fact, but called ahead to make sure their early arrival would be OK. Professional yet friendly, nice & courteous. The unit works very well. The only time I had a problem with it was when my basement flooded. The pilot went out, but I quickly discovered that it was surprisingly easy to relight if necessary. I specifically like the Lifetime Guarantee and customer service is fantastic and available 24/7. It is the best water heater I have ever had and I would recommend them highly.

Original review: July 13, 2017

When I purchased the water heater, the people who came in to install the water heater were very quick and the whole process was fast and easy. There were no delays and I felt that everyone went smoothly. Specific things that I like about the brand of the water heater is that the customer service is very quick and the warranty is able to be covered within two years. I really enjoy the fact that should we have a problem there is someone right there to give me tips on how to fix it and if there are any parts that I need to purchase.

I really enjoy the durability that this thing provides and the amount of water that it can warm up pretty quickly. The way that it doesn't break, we've already had it for a couple of years now and it is still working fine. My experience with my water heater has been great and I am absolutely in love with this heater because it provides warmth for the water to my family and myself and everything else.

Original review: July 11, 2017

The Ecosmart Water Heater has been reliable, durable, environment-friendly, and not as expensive as others. It works great especially in the winter and we don't have to worry about water heating in our house. We have no issues with it even though it has been with us for more than 4 years. Customer service has been friendly and very helpful when we called to follow up about some things after we bought the heater.

Ecosmart Water Heater expert review by ConsumerAffairs

EcoSmart provides tankless water heaters for homes and businesses that can save consumers up to 50 percent on their water heating bill. They also offer pool and spa heaters as well as radiant heating units which heat your home from the ground up.

• Types: EcoSmart provides eight models of electric, tankless water heaters. The model consumers choose will depend on their climate, home size and how many people live at the residence. Each unit is equipped with a self-modulating technology which can adjust energy output based on hot water needs.

• Applications: EcoSmart’s tankless water heaters can be applied four ways: point-of-use, whole house, water heater booster or solar extender/backup. Point-of-use is used for isolated hot water use. The whole-house option provides hot water to an entire home. The water heater booster can be installed next to a tank system to extend the capacity of the tank. The solar extender ensures a tank will never run out of hot water.

• Radiant heating: Radiant heating is an alternative, cost-effective way to provide heat to a home. Rather than using forced air through ducts, radiant heating heats from the ground up using hot water. EcoSmart has six units that can provide hot water for radiant heating and they are compatible with hardwood, carpet, vinyl and tile flooring.

• Business solutions: EcoSmart’s tankless units ensure instant and consistent hot water for businesses such as restaurants and large developments like apartments, malls or retail tenants. Consumers can find a toll-free number online that will connect them with a representative to discuss their business’ water heating needs.

• Self-modulating technology: Most tankless systems operate by a flow switch that activates around one gallon per minute (GPM). EcoSmart patented a self-modulating control that activates at 0.25 GPM. This flow sensor regulates energy use to meet hot water demand during each use. Units with this technology come with a digital display showing consumers the outlet water temperature and allowing for temperature adjustment.

• Best for: Consumers looking for a tankless water heater.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team