Find a Water Heaters partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Ecosmart Water Heater Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ecosmart Water Heater?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ecosmart Water Heater?

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

I purchased a house with an Ecosmart Tankless Water Heater and it has been a nightmare. First, they will not transfer the warranty and for the 2nd time since 2018 the wires have burnt out and all need to be replaced. This system is very expensive and having to replace all the parts and pay for a plumber to do it is unacceptable. Do not waste your money.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

I had the Eco27 installed a year ago and it worked very well, and went through a Quebec winter without a hitch. A month ago it started to misbehave, losing heat during a shower and going cold after less than a minute. I followed all the troubleshooting guides, first descaling the elements, then replacing the flow switch, then replacing the thermistors. All those steps are very doable, the only delay being getting the replacement parts.

The problem now is exactly the same as it was several weeks ago when I started the trouble shooting. Each time I contact the support e-mail, they send me another copy of the troubleshooting guide. There is not all that much more that one can replace, notwithstanding the troubleshooting guide. Next I'll replace the fuse, though I can't see how that will change anything. Instead of replacing the elements, the tubes around which which all get blistering hot when water gets switched on, I think I'll put this on the dump and get a better one.

Get buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 21, 2020

Purchased Eco18 based on chart and recommendation on internet (a number of companies use the "eco chart"). It is incorrect, and they all seem to know it. I purchased an undersized product because the guide was way off. They (ECO) had me purchase a reducer for $70 (counting shipping). I spent a bundle running the electric under my house, troubleshoot the problem, was misled by tech support, but figured it out anyway. After waiting 5 hours for a return call, called again, got lied to, read to by a "troubleshooting script", and basically had the tech just give up.

Anyway, they are horrible; a very competent technician helped me from Rheem, and knew exactly what I was referring to, and commented on how the eco guide was "off' for a somewhat northern state. Also, they (ECO) do not replace the equipment nor give refunds or accept any kind of product responsibility. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM. THEY ARE HORRIBLE. I am also reporting this to both the BBB and the attorney general of Connecticut. They lie, have horrible support (basically none), and do not stand behind their product. BIG MISTAKE!!!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I live in the country, in the middle of nowhere and have 2 full bathrooms in my home. I had a regular sized water heater that had only a limited amount of “hot” water. In the winter it took a long time to warm up and would run out before filling the bathtub. In the summer, it was better but we could only fill one bath at a time before running out of hot water.

18 months ago I replaced the big Bertha water heater for the “fun size” wall mounted tankless water heater. Ohhhh my word!!! It's made a huge difference. It only takes a few seconds to reach 130 degrees (that’s what I keep it set to but it’s adjustable) and I never run out of hot water. We've fill both tubs at the same time, while washing a load of laundry and washing dishes. Was not a problem. I haven’t had any problems and if I ever move, my fun sized water heater is coming with me.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

This has been the worst experience dealing with and trying to contact this company- their hours of operation are so limited to the consumer especially if you work a full time job 5-6 days a week. They do not answer phones or emails on weekends nor do they ship products out. I placed an order on a Monday before 11am which according to their sales rep was perfect in order to get my order processed and shipped out that day and because I live in NY should be at my door within a day. 2 days go by and still no product at my door.

Mind you I have been without hot water for 7 days at this point. I called the company only to find out that they lied about pretty much everything- the parts I ordered and paid for were out of stock, the NY ship in 1 day was completely made up and they said it would not get to me for another almost 6 days... Let me put it mildly when I say I blew a gasket and let this person have it. I said to him, "What if I didnt call? I would just have waited and waited until the parts arrived or lack thereof?" They all seem extremely incompetent and have no idea what is going on. I am going to take this to higher power and see what can be done for this horrifying experience.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I have a 3 year old EcoSmart36 that has burnt out. You can't get anywhere with customer service. They are just message takers. I filled out the requested form to see if they will back their lifetime warranty and that is where it lies. No response - just gate keepers. BUYER BEWARE. - STAY AWAY FROM THIS PRODUCT.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

In 2016 I purchased an ECO Smart 18 that came with a lifetime warranty. This past weekend I noticed I had no hot water and found that a circuit breaker had kicked off. I checked the hot water heater only to find a fire hazard in the making as one heating element was sparking and leaking water. I contacted Ecosmart and said my warranty was "Inactive" so they denied any replacement or warranty whatever that means. My advice is to stay clear of all ECO Smart products (made in China) and find a reputable manufacturer that will honor their warranty.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

The company asked me the buyer to do the troubleshooting. She then asked if I have hired an Electrician to fix my Water Heater. As if I am suppose to pay to fix the Faulty Device. Still refusing to fix or replace the Water Heater, and want to send parts for me to fix it. What Company does this? Horrible Product, and this is my second one that has gone bad and quit. Terrible Company to not stand behind their product. Please do not buy this product..

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

First one I purchased lasted a little over a year before it started leaking, customers service said it was due to lack of maintenance. Second one last a little over a year and started leaking but this time it started a fire inside the unit, burning the wires to a crisp. I'm waiting for the excuses from Ecosmart about this one. I have pictures to prove to them what happened.

Original review: July 21, 2017

The installation was a lovely and simple process. I did not do much of anything, just stood around in my robe while some strapping young men installed it for me. Afterward, I gave them lemonade. I do rather like the fact that it had "Eco" in the name. I attempt to live a fairly environmentally friendly lifestyle and this helps me feel like I'm adding to that goal. However, the water from this heater does not seem to get very hot. Perhaps that could be based on user error, but I have altered settings and it doesn't ever seem to get quite as toasty as I would like it to. Overall it has been a fairly decent experience. It has performed its job adequately, if not impressively, though that could be due to the capacity or possibly due to user error, as if I would ever admit that.

Ecosmart Water Heater author review by ConsumerAffairs

EcoSmart provides tankless water heaters for homes and businesses that can save consumers up to 50 percent on their water heating bill. They also offer pool and spa heaters as well as radiant heating units which heat your home from the ground up.

• Types: EcoSmart provides eight models of electric, tankless water heaters. The model consumers choose will depend on their climate, home size and how many people live at the residence. Each unit is equipped with a self-modulating technology which can adjust energy output based on hot water needs.

• Applications: EcoSmart’s tankless water heaters can be applied four ways: point-of-use, whole house, water heater booster or solar extender/backup. Point-of-use is used for isolated hot water use. The whole-house option provides hot water to an entire home. The water heater booster can be installed next to a tank system to extend the capacity of the tank. The solar extender ensures a tank will never run out of hot water.

• Radiant heating: Radiant heating is an alternative, cost-effective way to provide heat to a home. Rather than using forced air through ducts, radiant heating heats from the ground up using hot water. EcoSmart has six units that can provide hot water for radiant heating and they are compatible with hardwood, carpet, vinyl and tile flooring.

• Business solutions: EcoSmart’s tankless units ensure instant and consistent hot water for businesses such as restaurants and large developments like apartments, malls or retail tenants. Consumers can find a toll-free number online that will connect them with a representative to discuss their business’ water heating needs.

• Self-modulating technology: Most tankless systems operate by a flow switch that activates around one gallon per minute (GPM). EcoSmart patented a self-modulating control that activates at 0.25 GPM. This flow sensor regulates energy use to meet hot water demand during each use. Units with this technology come with a digital display showing consumers the outlet water temperature and allowing for temperature adjustment.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team