Find a Water Heaters partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

A. O. Smith Water Heaters Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about A. O. Smith Water Heaters?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about A. O. Smith?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I am SMSGT Wood, USAF, Ret. The A. O. Smith water heater company has the worst customer service and return policy I have ever known in my life! On 7 February 2021, I purchased a A. O. Smith water heater from Lowe's in Conway SC. The water heater was very noisy as it was heating the water and it just got worse. On 11 February 2021, I called the A. O. Smith company and the problem was never properly resolved.

I was asked to call two repair companies but the first company did NOT repair A O Smith water heater's and the second company wanted money to check it out and for their travel cost. They even asked me to replace parts on this heater! This problem was NOT my problem, it was A O Smith's responsibility to provide "ME" the customer a New water heater without operational issues. A O Smith would NOT give me a return number. I want to thank the manager of our Lowe's here in Conway SC! She was wonderful and helped me as much as possible. I just wish Lowe's would NOT sale inferior products made by inferior companies.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

This was the second worst customer service experience I have ever had; the worst was dealing with my cable company. After 3 months of reliable service, my hybrid heat pump water heater would no longer get my water hot. I also noticed that the water heater was no longer cooling the air in the vicinity of the tank as it had previously. The plumber who installed the heater came out 3 times and went through various troubleshooting steps over the phone with A.O. Smith. It was painfully apparent to me through my basic understanding of how heat pumps work, that this was an HVAC issue -- not a plumbing issue. After 6 weeks of this nonsense, AO Smith sent out a plumber of their choosing despite this obviously being an HVAC problem. Not only did he not solve the problem, their plumber tried to shake me down for $199!

After 4 months of back-and-forth with AO Smith customer service, they finally agreed to replace the water heater and they gave me detailed instructions on how to get reimbursed. I followed their instructions precisely only to be told today that my claim was denied because it wasn't submitted through the distributor -- which they never previously mentioned. AO Smith is a terrible, terrible, terrible company with which to deal. Of the countless phone calls, I only ever encountered 1 customer service rep who actually listened to me. I did get the original replaced, but I'm still fighting for the labor reimbursement. I will take cold showers before I will buy another AO Smith product.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

I spent $500 to get the brand new AO Smith water heater installed (bought from Lowe's). Water heater didn't work after installed, AO Smith customer support mentioned that "Gas valve" may be faulty and they shipped a new valve. The second valve also didn't work (I hired handyman for this work), so they said they will have to ship a third one. This time they sent their hired installer for the third gas valve and the third valve also didn't work. At this point I reached out to them to fix the water heater or replace it. They offered me two resolutions

1. They asked me to Uninstall the water heater and return it to the store and exchange for a new water heater (this will cost me $500 to hire handyman and a van again, remember the water heater is 10 days old and falls under Lowe's return policy) and they said they will provide $150 for install (Install quotes in Bay Area are close to $1000).

2. They will ship another gas valve (4th)

It didn't make sense for me that they are asking me to do all the work of returning, replacing and installing for $150 instead of they fixing the issues (Install quotes itself in Bay Area are close to $1000). When I raised a concern and requested them to do the work of replacing and installing, they said they only provide a "limited warranty" and all they can do is provide $150 for me to uninstall, transport the water heater, get a new water heater and get it installed. This is deceit and cheating. They sold me a new water heater, which was defective and they are not taking ownership of repairing it or replacing it with their own dime. (Their offer of $150 doesn't cover 1/10th of the cost).

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

Installed a commercial-grade tankless gas water heater. After 2 years, the heat exchanger started leaking - short-circuited rest of unit. Had it replaced on warranty with an entire new unit. 2 years later...it starts leaking again. I have followed their recommended service schedule to de-scale water regularly. AO Smith won't replace again - claiming it has suffered heat stress. Thought it was supposed to HEAT water. Apparently not for longer than 2 years. Technical support was hard to reach, and gave different answers on why they would not honor the 5-year parts warranty - first I was told it was voided because my plumber had replaced parts before, so it could be workmanship. When I told them the entire unit was replaced (not parts) the first time, they changed the tune and now said it was not covered because I have hard water in my area. Expensive equipment - not worth the scrap copper metal I can get out of it...

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

I bought this hot water tank at Lowe’s and had it installed through Lowe’s. It rusted at 4 years. I emailed their technical support and was asked to email them pictures. I did and they have totally ignored me. I have asked them twice to email me a response. Nothing. Do not buy their products, they don’t stand behind them. They state 6-12 years not 4 years.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

The rep for A.O. Smith was very rude. The tank was one month old and they voided my warranty because I installed the tank in the same location as the old which was no longer per code. The location had nothing to do with the warranty. In fact, she told me if I would change the location of the tank, in my mom and dad's old farm house, that with pictures, they would reinstate the warranty.

Original review: July 28, 2020

Bought a 40 gallon A.O. Smith water heater from Lowe's. Got it installed and it made a horrible humming noise. Called A.O. Smith and was told it was not under warranty and couldn't be returned to Lowe's. We had it less than 24 hours and had a receipt from Lowe's. We even purchased a 5 year extend warranty. Called Lowe's and explained the situation and they said to bring it back for a refund. Once we got to Lowe's they needed a RA number to return the water heater and we told them A.O. Smith would not give us one. The Lowe's associate called and was on hold for almost 20 minutes only to be hung up on after someone finally picked up. The Lowe's associate called again and was on hold for a long period of time. She got the run around from A.O. Smith and A.O. Smith continued to refuse to give an RA number to return the faulty water heater.

After 2 1/2 hours waiting at Lowe's and many employees from Lowe's helping us, we finally got our money back. It was NOT from A.O. Smith because they refused to give us a RA number! Lowe's ate the cost for the returned water heater. NEVER, EVER will we recommend a water heater made by A.O. Smith to anyone, nor will we EVER buy one of their pieces of garbage from them. Customer service from A.O. Smith is the worst we've ever had to deal with. Words of advice, stay clear of this company and their product so you don't have to go through the same thing.

Original review: July 10, 2020

I bought a AO Smith water softener from Lowe's. I called their customer support and after 20min someone picked up my call and he does not care about the only question I had i.e. hardness settings. He blackmailed me to register my product or not get any details/help about the product. I should have read the reviews before buying a ao smith product. All of them are 1 star rating with warranty issues. This is a very bad company and I regret buying their product.

Original review: June 22, 2020

I spent a lot of money on my A. O. Smith water heater, it has a 6 yr warranty. It broke after 2.5 yrs, confirmed to be under warranty yet I still had to pay $1200 or labor. Be aware if you buy a water heater from A O Smith and it breaks because it’s terrible quality. You will still have to pay an arm and a leg to get a new one under warranty. I will never buy another product from A. O. Smith again And I hope you learn from my mistake.

Original review: May 24, 2020

Upon Installation water heater was not operating correctly after 24 hours being Installed by a professional not that should matter however in my case it does. Hot Water Heater was removed and returned to store or at least that was the plan. AO Smith is the brand of hot water heater I'm referencing that Lowe's carry. In any event I was asked for a authorization code which I didn't have and was told to notify AO Smith to get such code. Upon doing so I finally got someone to pick up. This is Sunday 5/24/20. Customer service very Rude. Was told I should have not returned said item to store and Item should have been serviced to check ohms readings and to see if heating element was bad that I could purchase from Lowe's reming you this is a new hot water heater that was Installed CORRECTLY spoke with two customer personnel one of whom hung up on me while I was talking. So I returned home with the hot water heater. More to come.

A. O. Smith Water Heaters Company Information