A. O. Smith Water Heaters

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

A. O. Smith Water Heaters Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about A. O. Smith Water Heaters?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about A. O. Smith?

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

I purchase a new in the box AO Smith water heater on 2/14/2022. I installed it in one of our properties the same day. Discovered that the water heater did not have a relief valve in the box. I called customer service the next day. I was told that they would send me the valve the next day by next day air. I was told after getting my email that I could track the order. The next day I realized that I never received an email and started to call customer service. My wife and I left many call backs number and she was never called back. No other vendors had the type of pop off valve that this model required. Now I must replaced this already installed heater with another heater. It will not be an AO SMITH brand. The pop off valve was never in the box. They sold a product that was useless the moment it left them. This business is not HONEST

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

Purchased this water heater at Lowe's. Plumber replaced same day. Water heater did not work. Call AO Smith. They stated heater could not be returned. They would send out one of their contracted plumber. The error code on the digital stated that something was defective and a part needed to be replaced. Per customer service they would have to order the part and they did not know when it would be available. We NEED A water heater (it's winter and water is freezing.) Could we please exchange it? No we could not do that. We would have to wait for the part. Oh No! We will not wait. Brand new water heater and they are not willing to exchange it. In the meantime we had to pay the plumber who installed it and pay another plumber to remove it! Unbelievable! So so disgusted!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

I spent $1600 for this hybrid water heater and took out the extended warranty. Within 7 months the sensor went. They gave me a list of technicians and told me to call them to diagnose the problem and gave me a labor code for which the plumbers need for payment. The plumbers told me that I was on the hook for the diagnosis because AO Smith decided that the problem was my basement (even though it was installed according to specs by a master plumber and that it was under 1 year old). I called the support line back. This time the customer support rep told me that it appears to be an issue with the sensor, for which the first CSR had missed diagnosed. And said she would send out the part and gave me a difference labor repair number for the contracted plumber to use to install the part.

After 4 weeks the part never arrived. I called back and another CSR told me that the prior CSR was wrong and that it would be too expensive to replace the part because the plumber would have to take the whole thing apart. So they said I needed to bring the unit back to Lowe's to get it replace. Here's the kicker. They wanted me, a person with no plumbing experience, to disconnect the unit and bring it to Lowe's to get it replaced because Lowe's will not replace the unit without the broken one.

So I got their approval for the plumber to come and take out the unit and take to Lowe's. I had to coordinate with Lowe's to make sure they had one in stock as it is January and I cannot be without a water heater for an extended time. When the plumber was finished he billed me for $442. AO Smith said that they only reimburse $150!! Even though the warranty states that the unit is under full warranty up to a year. It appears that the sensors are very prone to going bad. Beware! This product will cost you more money then it will save you. Save yourself the anguish of dealing with a dishonest company that does not live up to their product guarantee. If you can find it, get the GE GeoSpring.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

We have installed water heater on May 10, 2018 with AO Smith Water Heater. It started leaking less than 4 years and warranty was six year. The manufacturer made the warranty claim process so hard, plus the labor cost of replacement, and inconvenience of no hot water. It's totally not worth the trouble or effort to get same bad product again.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

Purchased AO Signature 500 from Lowe's and had it installed by their "preferred installation team" in late Dec 21. By early January it went out. Lowe's pointed at AO and the installers, the installers blamed it on Lowes and AO and AO said they would overnight parts (2 weeks) and cover $100 labor. Here we are early January, parts just arrived, no one will touch it because it should be covered by AO and all they do is offer a replacement and after hours on hold over the course of 3 days and more reps than I can recall, $450 toward my $1100 reinstallation price? Really? Buy from a different manufacturer and never from Lowes. They're the other half of this fraudulent equation.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

Let me join the hundreds of other bad reviews for the AO smith hot water heater that was installed less than 2 years ago by my builder. The unit stopped working and after paying a $116.00 diagnostic fee I had to pay an additional $337.00 for a new inducer motor that the company did not provide. Priceless.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

Installed a 40 gallon tank electric on 10 2019. Already had problems with heating element- thermostat... It is under manufacturer warranty and even though I bought the extended warranty Lowe's won't do anything for me and A.O. Smith won't cover shipping for the parts had to pay for those and also got to pay for a plumber to come and fix the damn thing. So why even have a warranty at all. If I read the reviews I would have never purchased this piece of crap... 27 mos in no hot water... Winter time it's cold. No showers for a week.... Steer clear of this product!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2022

I'm on my second Signature 300 water heater that does not work. The first, had a 6-inch dent in it upon delivery, likely damaged at Lowe's or by delivery guys. Lowe's N Lakewood, CO would not allow me to return it unless I got an RA# from the manufacturer. I was able to get an RA number (because it was not installed) and I exchanged it for a new one. I opted to take the water heater back to the store, although I paid for delivery because I didn't want to be without water for another 4 days waiting on Lowe's to pick it up - paid the plumber for this. The plumber got the second water heater installed, and it will not fire up. The pilot light only stays on when the function button is down, once it's released, the pilot goes out. The plumber calls around and hears that there have been issues with the Honeywell gas control valve lately.

Call AO Smith back to get another RA number, at this point, I just want my plumber to procure a different brand of water heater, and get it installed, so I'm not without hot water any longer. AO Smith refuses to give RA #. They want me to troubleshoot further, I decline, as I've just paid a plumber to troubleshoot, then they want to provide me a list of authorized service techs for ME to call and schedule an appointment with. I decline. I tell AO Smith, I'm not spending any more time or money on this BRAND NEW hot water heater, I need hot water NOW. They refuse to provide an RA #. Now, I have an $800 paperweight, that Lowe's won't return and the manufacturer won't return. Why is Lowe's selling bad products, and why is AO Smith not standing behind their bad product? Just steer clear from AO Smith entirely. Terrible experience.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

Bought water heater at Lowe's. It was faulty. They will not allow a return to store yet s the purchase was from lowes store. Nobody from lowes will call back or be accountable for anything. We are now 10 days later. No call back yet from lowes. Keep calling. Lowes terrible. Also did Contact manufacturers. AO Smith which is a lowes company. Spent 2 days on hold with technicians on hand at my house which I paid out of my pocket. AO smith Never called back. Finally 1 week later got assistance from AO Smith technician. So with More personal expenses 10 days later still no hot water another trip to store. Whole experience is terrible. Product is terrible.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

My builder put in an A. O. Smith (model: GDHE 50131). In less than 6 years, the ignition rod broken (Error message: Ignition failure). Since it's less than 6 years after the house closing date, the water heater is under parts warranty. I received a repair authorization reference number, and contacted a local A. O. Smith authorized plumber. Two young plumbers made a quick diagnostic exam, and told me the ignition rod went bad.

The parts are under warranty, but the labor to replace the ignition rod will cost me $1350.00 + TAX. The plumbers even said that as they opened up the water heater, it's common to find some other parts broken that need be replaced. So the labor cost can be easily go more than $3000 (which I can buy two water heaters). The plumber happily took $285 diagnostic fee and walked away. I'll put a new water heater in, and have this giant green A. O. Smith water heater sitting in my attic not been used. Before you purchase A. O. Smith water heater, you need to think about the repair cost even with 6 years of parts warranty.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I purchased my AO Smith hot water heater in June 21, it's Sept & I contacted my plumber because of the sulphur smell.. AOS said it's not covered... Replace a new zinc anode rod.. What a bunch of **... Buy from someone else...

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Our Plumber contacted A O Smith on our behalf regarding a problem with a water heater. They suggested we needed a replacement part and it was ordered. It was to arrive in 3-5 days. It did not arrive and we bought a part locally after 2 weeks. I contacted the company in order to cancel the order since we had not received it yet. They said they had no record of the order so it would not be a problem, but if it should show up we should refuse delivery. A week later the part arrived and we did as instructed and refused delivery. It clearly had been mailed after our phone call. They billed credit card anyway. I disputed the charge and they refused to refund the entire amount, claiming they were entitled to a "restocking" fee. I was surprised as they had a reputation as an honest, professional company. I would be very careful and hesitant to do any business with this company.

Original review: July 22, 2021

Unit leaked upon install, heated to 95 degrees only, should be 120-130. Warranty service try to repair and I have to call again. I need this unit switched out, inside rusted from leaking also, recommended a no buy.

Original review: July 19, 2021

Had a contractor install a brand new AO Smith electric tank water heater on 6/27/21. Had rust inside the tank and contractor had me run my hot water into the bathtub for approx 1 hr. They said they had to clear the rust out of the tank and using any other faucet would clog them. That was my first red flag! Now two weeks later, there is still rusty, dirty water coming from this tank. The contractor says that it has to be my water line. But this never happened with my old water heater that was 15 years old! Had my lines checked out and it is indeed the water heater that has rust inside it.

Now I am trying to work with the contractor to have this water heater removed and they seem reluctant to do anything saying that if I don't pay for the water heater, they will put a lien on my property! This water heater is faulty and I don't want to pay $2200 for a bad product. Also, the contractor, crammed it into a closet alongside my furnace and now there is not enough room to service the furnace. Don't buy any AO Smith electric water heater! On FB they advertise that their water heaters are made in the USA. Mine was made in Mexico!

Original review: July 12, 2021

The pilot light won't stay lit and blower will not start. After 1 year, only parts are covered. I had a Bradford White that stayed good for 11 years without any complaints. AO Smith Model GPVL-50 started not heating water just after 2 years. For authorized technicians I have to wait for 4 days to get it fixed. Hope they have parts available and it works after that without trouble. The contractor bought it for me and thought this will stay without trouble for at least 4 or 5 years.

Original review: June 27, 2021

I purchased a AO Smith water heater model # G6-MH3030NV for my home in late Jan. 2018. In June 2018 I called because the water temp was HIGH. I was sent a new (HONEYWELL) controller without having to explain why. That 2nd (HONEYWELL) one was installed in 09/2019. I was able manipulate the first one by changing the temps until I could get the second one installed. The second one started acting up and we got by until our 3rd one was installed in 8/2020. The 3rd has worked for a little bit but, I've had to keep lowering the temperature until I have now reached the "vac" vacation setting.

The "VAC" setting is supposed to only heat the water to 55 degrees Fahrenheit. The water coming out of my faucets is 144 degrees Fahrenheit. Pilot or OFF are all I have left!! I've emailed AO Smith with NO response. This was approximately 3 weeks ago. I work full time. I don't have ALL day!! They haven't emailed me. Doesn't seem that they care!! I've already been scalded to the point of having permanent red marks on one of my fingers!!!! Don't buy AO smith water heaters!!!! And don't buy "HONEYWELL" anything!!!

Original review: June 25, 2021

The product was defective upon arrival. The warranty didn't cover repairs. We had a professional installed three of the A.O. Smith Signature Premier 40-Gallon Tall 12-year Limited 40000-BTU Natural Gas Water Heater tanks (G12-CADT4040NV). One of them failed twice within 3 weeks. The pilot light does not spark at all, so we've been without hot water for a week now. Our plumber says it will cost about $200 to replace the gas valve, which AO Smith thinks should resolve the issue. AO Smith insists they will only cover $100 of the labor. Why should the consumer pay an extra $100 out of pocket to repair a product that was shipped from the factory defective? AO Smith should be ashamed of themselves. I'll be avoiding this company in the future.

Original review: March 9, 2021

This water heater was experiencing problems within about 5 months of installation. I was not too concerned about that, as it was under warranty. However, since trying to contact Smith to help out with the warranty, it has been a nightmare. If you do reach their main line, they will transfer you to the same endless hold, no matter what you tell the person on the phone. I had to have a third party service tech come out and inspect the product. Cost me a $122. AO Smith claims they will reimburse up to $100 for a service call. However, there is no possible way that will happen.

When the tech was here, he tried to contact Smith to get info on what readings he was looking for. Once again, this useless company put him on hold forever. An hour later, he had to give up and leave. I have not been able to get them to respond to phone messages or emails. This company is a complete rip-off! Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. I will never buy anything from them again! Their service is the worst I have ever experienced anywhere, by any company.

Original review: March 2, 2021

Purchased a A O Smith tankless water heater thru Lowe’s, sized for shops or cabins. Water heater pulls 57 amps and cycles hot water ever few seconds. Customer service incredibly rude, stating too much flow. You would only be able to get trickle from facet or shower and at 57 amps of power draw. Absolutely ridiculous, this is a complete failure of a product and A O Smith will not stand behind there tankless units- DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM A O SMITH, unless you want to throw good money away and be treated rude by their customer service.

Original review: March 2, 2021

The first tank was installed in our new house and went out within the first 12 months, the reset button caught on fire. Now less than 6 months later the second tank needs to be replaced, the heat pump compressor went out. I am reading all of these one star reviews for this product and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how they are still on the market??

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

On 2/22/2021 we replaced our leaking 10+ year old Whirlpool electric water heater with the above A O Smith model from Lowe's, Pineville, LA. I installed the new heater per provided instructions, filled the tank, checked for leaks and powered it up. 6 hours later, no hot water. I turned the breaker off, checked the wiring and found no obvious problems. I contacted A O Smith and was told it sometimes takes up to 6 hours for the water to become hot. (Case #**) It's never taken over an hour in the past?? Since then the water has gone from cold to hot to scalding, to cold to scalding and back to cold.

I consider this heater to pose a serious scalding threat and will be returning it to Lowe's as soon as possible. Whether Lowe's does the right thing and refunds the full purchase price or not, the heater will be staying at the store and I will buy a new electric water heater from a locally owned plumbing supply company. Speaking for myself, I will never buy another product from A. O. Smith.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

My experience with AO Smith water heaters is that they're just fine. The problem is when something goes wrong and I need to call customer service. I've been plumbing for 15 years. In the past I would call AO Smith to troubleshoot a commercial water heater and 5 or 10 minutes later I was talking to someone helpful. Today I called at 10:38AM for tech support. I was offered to hang up and wait for a callback without losing my place in line. I did that (last time was a 2 hour wait). It is now 1:08PM, still no return call. About 3 weeks ago, similar experience, but I did get a call back after 2 hours, except the tech support was terrible. The person talking to me didn't seem like she knew anything about water heaters. What's going on AO Smith?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I am SMSGT Wood, USAF, Ret. The A. O. Smith water heater company has the worst customer service and return policy I have ever known in my life! On 7 February 2021, I purchased a A. O. Smith water heater from Lowe's in Conway SC. The water heater was very noisy as it was heating the water and it just got worse. On 11 February 2021, I called the A. O. Smith company and the problem was never properly resolved.

I was asked to call two repair companies but the first company did NOT repair A O Smith water heater's and the second company wanted money to check it out and for their travel cost. They even asked me to replace parts on this heater! This problem was NOT my problem, it was A O Smith's responsibility to provide "ME" the customer a New water heater without operational issues. A O Smith would NOT give me a return number. I want to thank the manager of our Lowe's here in Conway SC! She was wonderful and helped me as much as possible. I just wish Lowe's would NOT sale inferior products made by inferior companies.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

This was the second worst customer service experience I have ever had; the worst was dealing with my cable company. After 3 months of reliable service, my hybrid heat pump water heater would no longer get my water hot. I also noticed that the water heater was no longer cooling the air in the vicinity of the tank as it had previously. The plumber who installed the heater came out 3 times and went through various troubleshooting steps over the phone with A.O. Smith. It was painfully apparent to me through my basic understanding of how heat pumps work, that this was an HVAC issue -- not a plumbing issue. After 6 weeks of this nonsense, AO Smith sent out a plumber of their choosing despite this obviously being an HVAC problem. Not only did he not solve the problem, their plumber tried to shake me down for $199!

After 4 months of back-and-forth with AO Smith customer service, they finally agreed to replace the water heater and they gave me detailed instructions on how to get reimbursed. I followed their instructions precisely only to be told today that my claim was denied because it wasn't submitted through the distributor -- which they never previously mentioned. AO Smith is a terrible, terrible, terrible company with which to deal. Of the countless phone calls, I only ever encountered 1 customer service rep who actually listened to me. I did get the original replaced, but I'm still fighting for the labor reimbursement. I will take cold showers before I will buy another AO Smith product.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

I spent $500 to get the brand new AO Smith water heater installed (bought from Lowe's). Water heater didn't work after installed, AO Smith customer support mentioned that "Gas valve" may be faulty and they shipped a new valve. The second valve also didn't work (I hired handyman for this work), so they said they will have to ship a third one. This time they sent their hired installer for the third gas valve and the third valve also didn't work. At this point I reached out to them to fix the water heater or replace it. They offered me two resolutions

1. They asked me to Uninstall the water heater and return it to the store and exchange for a new water heater (this will cost me $500 to hire handyman and a van again, remember the water heater is 10 days old and falls under Lowe's return policy) and they said they will provide $150 for install (Install quotes in Bay Area are close to $1000).

2. They will ship another gas valve (4th)

It didn't make sense for me that they are asking me to do all the work of returning, replacing and installing for $150 instead of they fixing the issues (Install quotes itself in Bay Area are close to $1000). When I raised a concern and requested them to do the work of replacing and installing, they said they only provide a "limited warranty" and all they can do is provide $150 for me to uninstall, transport the water heater, get a new water heater and get it installed. This is deceit and cheating. They sold me a new water heater, which was defective and they are not taking ownership of repairing it or replacing it with their own dime. (Their offer of $150 doesn't cover 1/10th of the cost).

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

Installed a commercial-grade tankless gas water heater. After 2 years, the heat exchanger started leaking - short-circuited rest of unit. Had it replaced on warranty with an entire new unit. 2 years later...it starts leaking again. I have followed their recommended service schedule to de-scale water regularly. AO Smith won't replace again - claiming it has suffered heat stress. Thought it was supposed to HEAT water. Apparently not for longer than 2 years. Technical support was hard to reach, and gave different answers on why they would not honor the 5-year parts warranty - first I was told it was voided because my plumber had replaced parts before, so it could be workmanship. When I told them the entire unit was replaced (not parts) the first time, they changed the tune and now said it was not covered because I have hard water in my area. Expensive equipment - not worth the scrap copper metal I can get out of it...

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

I bought this hot water tank at Lowe’s and had it installed through Lowe’s. It rusted at 4 years. I emailed their technical support and was asked to email them pictures. I did and they have totally ignored me. I have asked them twice to email me a response. Nothing. Do not buy their products, they don’t stand behind them. They state 6-12 years not 4 years.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

The rep for A.O. Smith was very rude. The tank was one month old and they voided my warranty because I installed the tank in the same location as the old which was no longer per code. The location had nothing to do with the warranty. In fact, she told me if I would change the location of the tank, in my mom and dad's old farm house, that with pictures, they would reinstate the warranty.

Original review: July 28, 2020

Bought a 40 gallon A.O. Smith water heater from Lowe's. Got it installed and it made a horrible humming noise. Called A.O. Smith and was told it was not under warranty and couldn't be returned to Lowe's. We had it less than 24 hours and had a receipt from Lowe's. We even purchased a 5 year extend warranty. Called Lowe's and explained the situation and they said to bring it back for a refund. Once we got to Lowe's they needed a RA number to return the water heater and we told them A.O. Smith would not give us one. The Lowe's associate called and was on hold for almost 20 minutes only to be hung up on after someone finally picked up. The Lowe's associate called again and was on hold for a long period of time. She got the run around from A.O. Smith and A.O. Smith continued to refuse to give an RA number to return the faulty water heater.

After 2 1/2 hours waiting at Lowe's and many employees from Lowe's helping us, we finally got our money back. It was NOT from A.O. Smith because they refused to give us a RA number! Lowe's ate the cost for the returned water heater. NEVER, EVER will we recommend a water heater made by A.O. Smith to anyone, nor will we EVER buy one of their pieces of garbage from them. Customer service from A.O. Smith is the worst we've ever had to deal with. Words of advice, stay clear of this company and their product so you don't have to go through the same thing.

Original review: July 10, 2020

I bought a AO Smith water softener from Lowe's. I called their customer support and after 20min someone picked up my call and he does not care about the only question I had i.e. hardness settings. He blackmailed me to register my product or not get any details/help about the product. I should have read the reviews before buying a ao smith product. All of them are 1 star rating with warranty issues. This is a very bad company and I regret buying their product.

A. O. Smith Water Heaters Company Information