Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

506 A. O. Smith Water Heaters Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 29, 2019

HORRIBLE SERVICE FROM AO SMITH!! They DO NOT BACK UP THEIR OWN PRODUCTS!!! I purchased my AO Smith heater at Lowe's. The pressure valve was damaged and leaked as soon as water was in the tank. The threads were destroyed, and the valve had clearly already been repaired. AO Smith made me call my own plumber to try and fix it. Now I have to pay the labor to remove their defective heater and to reinstall, out of pocket. They have no appeals process, nor do they have their own technicians to service/repair their own products.. DONT DO IT!! It's costing me $400 out of pocket for their defect. I will NOT EVER buy another AO Smith product!!

Original review: June 21, 2019

I got my water heater when we built our house six years ago. The gas sensor went out yesterday and even though the 6 year warranty should still be good they will not cover the part. It's a $1,000 part that should last much longer than six years. Anyways.... Awful company that will never see any business from me again (and will see my review posted everywhere I can put one). I'm currently buying a new water heater from someone else.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I Purchased a new AO Smith electric water heater from Lowe's and installed it in one of my apartments. It seemed to not be heating but I left it overnight and asked my tenants to let me know if it got hot. It did not heat up! I purchased another new AO Smith water heater to replace the defective one and it worked fine. I was not able to return it to Lowe's because AO Smith customer service said it was believed to be in "fixable condition". I had already purchased and installed the new one. The Lowe's GM was very gracious and took care of the problem. I'm very disappointed in AO Smith, not only because of their poor customer service and return policy, but also the fact that it seems that this poor quality of product seems to be a growing problem for this once high quality company. Sad day for AO Smith as they will be losing a lot of business over these issues.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Bought new gas water heater and paid to have it installed by local handyman. It leaked where rod goes onto tank. Removed and Teflon taped connection and it fixed leak. Need 1 1/17 inch ratchet to remove. Gave no clue how this came out - if factory not taped. Woke up next morning to a puddle under heater. Called handyman back in. Heater was defective! Tech support verified and had us return defective to Lowe's and get new one. Handyman installed again (cost me again!) Tech support said they could reimburse for removal and reinstallation labor cost up to $150. Not sure how they came to that cost as reinstalling, removal, return, get new one and have it installed again costs a lot more than that!

Submitted bill as requested to get reimbursed. Got runaround for 2 weeks. Finally heard back with a denial of reimbursement because handyman was not a licensed plumber and they could not 1099 him. I was not told this prior, all I was told was to send an invoice when completed. Not only was the product defective, the customer service department is misleading and this company treats customers like crap. Go elsewhere and buy a product that has quality assurance and respects customers. Subpar product and horrible customer service!

Original review: April 11, 2019

We bought an AOSmith 40-gallon water heater and have an experienced electrician installed it. We waited for 3 days without any hot water. We concluded that the unit was a manufactured defect and decided to get another AOSmith to try. We had the same electrician to install the unit and we got hot water after 15 minutes. We returned the defective unit to Lowe's but were unable to get MRA. AOSmith representative required us to reinstall the defective unit so they can troubleshoot. We cannot wait for AOSmith to fix their quality issue while we cannot get hot water in the early Spring. We are very unhappy with your policy. You can take our money by refusing to allow for return the product this time but you will earn another purchase from us. Lowe's should offer more water heater selection and stand by the product that you sell or risk to lose many, many customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about A. O. Smith?

Original review: April 11, 2019

Had an A. O. Smith water tank that lasted 5 years. Luckily they replaced their defective product (although I paid over $900 in service fees, etc) because the warranty was 6 years. However my “new” water tank also failed less than 2 years later. This one was not covered because the “original warranty” was 6 years. How does that make sense!?! Did they give me a used one or something? I thought we had a new one installed and it would carry a 6 years warranty but I guess you only get 6 years your whole life with this company.

I read through their terms and nowhere does it say that your replacement is covered under the first one. A. O. Smith kept using the term “original” purchase and since the second one was not the “original” purchase it does not have a 6 year warranty. Long story short, I will spend over $5,000 in 2 years for a water tank!! Making matters worse, customer service does not care... At least they thanked me for staying on hold for 39 minutes!

Original review: April 4, 2019

Water heater was installed at the cost of $350. The Heater was also about the same price. The heating element burned out in less than 3 months. The heater was defective out of the box and A.O. Smith knows about the defect. After running down bills and install paperwork A.O. Smith asked for these documents to be faxed. Two days later A.O. Smith called to say no warranty. They did not want to inspect the unit nor would they repair the same. I'm sorry I did not see the reviews before I purchased this unit. I have talked to Lowe's and they have a no return for A.O. Smith products. PLEASE BEWARE.

Original review: March 22, 2019

AO SMITH HAS THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE AND COMPLETELY WORTHLESS PRODUCT WARRANTY. Do not purchase and have their products installed in your home. My AO Smith water heater purchased was still under warranty when the pilot burner and gas valve assembly stopped working and needed to be replaced. After I called and paid a plumber to diagnose the issue, it took 6+ hours of phone calls with the worst customer service I've ever experienced with AO Smith. Their terrible reviews covering the internet from thousands of other disappointed customers share the same experience I did.

In my experience with AO Smith's customer service they transferred me to the incorrect department three time only to go back on hold for 20 minutes each time, AO Smith couldn't locate replacement parts, AO Smith recommended a plumber who's been out of business for several years, AO Smith was supposed to overnight parts, even called back to confirm the parts were shipped only to find out the next day when I called they never shipped the parts and one is out of stock.

AO Smith's product warranty only covers parts. If you need parts that need to be overnighted, that expense is on you. If you need labor to install their parts, that expense is on you. After AO Smith couldn't get the simple pilot burner and gas valve assembly I needed, I had to get an entirely new water heater, which cost me $600 to install. AO Smith will not help pay any of your expenses and their customer service is atrocious. This company is a joke, I do not recommend their water heaters at all. Find another brand.

Original review: March 21, 2019

Water heater installed 10/14 is still under warranty. Gas valve has failed and needs to be replaced. My plumber spent 1.5 hours on phone to reach someone to go through troubleshooting process. Someone was supposed to call yesterday so that I could pay for overnight shipping. Unfortunately plumber didn't tell me to call. No one called until the next day. I have now waited over an hour to talk to someone in customer service. Today is my third day without hot water and who knows how long it will take to ship the part from Tennessee to California? Lousy customer service. Hire more people to answer phones.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I will never purchase another AO Smith water heater. I had an AO Smith water heater in my home prior to purchasing the home. The water heater was brand new when I purchased the home. The water heater lasted 5 years. It sprung a leak and then caught fire in the middle of the night. Luckily, the fire was localized and the flames did not spread.

I had 11 months remaining on the warranty. Discovering this issue at 5:00 am, I visited the AO Smith Website to see what actions were necessary to secure my home safely. There were a list of 3 service providers in the area, so I called one. The technician was able to look up my warranty and set me up with an appointment for a replacement water heater same day. I felt as though I had to move along.

I was instructed to settle up my warranty with AO Smith. They said they could offer me $500 and that I could get a new water heater from anywhere and use any company. Well, how convenient after I already made arrangements with their forced provider. AO Smith got back to me at 3:00 in the afternoon telling me about my options when I contacted them just before 10:00 am AND of course I contacted their service provider at 5:15 am and already got the ball rolling because I thought I had to use their provider.

I spent $1441 on the new heater and labor. I was able to get AO Smith to raise the offer to $791 but that still puts me out $650. I would have been in better shape with the $500 and a service and parts sale from somewhere else - like Sears where I would have preferred to shop - lower prices and an interest free charge on their credit card.

I am upset about this unnecessary mark-up because of AO Smith's faulty products and slow/poor customer service. I am nervous about the fact that I have another AO Smith water heater in my home. In another 5 years when this piece of junk kicks the bucket, I will absolutely be purchasing a different brand elsewhere. DO NOT purchase an AO Smith product.

A. O. Smith Water Heaters Company Information