Save on Appliance Repairs

Save on Appliance Repairs

With the Best Home Warranty

Compare Quotes

493 A. O. Smith Water Heaters Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I bought 2 within 2 years. Both were red tagged as dangerous by gas man for faulty gas valves. Seems if this is a continuing error on multiple tanks maybe there's an error in how it's built. Warranty only covers part. I bought my heater. After it was installed I saw it was already 2 years old.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Eight and a half years after purchase and light use, water heater leaked. This is a scam, fraudulent company. They should be arrested and their entire families should be stripped of all of their possessions and sentenced to hard labor for the rest of their miserable lives. You scum bags! Burn in hell.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I purchased a water heater 6 weeks ago from A O Smith. It has never worked since day one. They had me change out thermostats, and heating elements. It still never worked. They are now saying that it has been too long since we purchased it, and they will not do anything for us. I will never buy their water heater again.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

We repiped our home in January, 2017. Since our water heater was more than 18 years old, (we never had an issue with it), the company suggested that a new water heater be installed at the same time. The water heater that was sold to us was an A.O. Smith 50 gallon gas water heater. The model #GUC-50 400. The BTU'S: 40,000. The cost was $850. On the evening of October 23, 2018, we did not have any hot water. My husband attempted to relight the pilot, to no avail. The next morning, we called the re-pipe company to tell them of our problem. We were told that they do not repair the water heater, but it is under warranty. They gave us a name and phone number to call. When we called, they could not come out for at least two days, and gave us the name of another company to call. We called and were told that the tech would be out that day and would call us to let us know that time that they would be at our home.

At 8:00 pm, we still had not received a call. We then called the tech to see when he would be at our home. He said that it would be much later that evening, and not to wait up for him. (Our heater is outside and easily accessible). At approximately 11:25 pm he arrived. We heard his truck come into our driveway. At 11:50, he left. He had to replace the Chamber Temperature Sensor, made "adjustments and modifications," relit the unit and left. This cost us $195 in labor since it is not covered under the warranty.

We now know after reading so many negative reviews on this product, that this unit should not be sold to an unsuspecting public. A.O. Smith continues to put out an inferior product knowing full well what a piece of crap it is. They are "RIPPING OFF" the consumer while they laugh all the way to the bank. We know that it is only a matter of time until something else goes south with the unit. We will NOT put another dime into it. We think all of us who have posted reviews need to band together to file a class action lawsuit against A.O. Smith, and contractors who continue to push their product. Our next step is to contact the Consumer Affairs Bureau in our state (CA) and file a formal complaint against this company. We are so sorry that we were all duped and taken advantage of as consumers.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

The guy at Lowe’s steered me wrong, telling me this is a good electric water heater. My hot water developed a strong sulphuric smell. I called my water company and they knew right away it is the anode rod in the water heater. I had the rod removed but it cost $375 because it takes three men to get it out. When I called AO Smith headquarters, they told me it would take three men. They also told me this issue isn’t covered under warranty because it’s the minerals in my water reacting to the aluminum rod. They say it’s environmental and they’ll sell me a rod made out of zinc for $75. Creeps! Make it right before selling it to the public.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about A. O. Smith?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I see a lot of negative reviews about A. O. Smith Water Heaters. Well I can say we install A. O. Smith Water Heater in 1994 new home. I have less than good well water but heater has last 24 years and counting. I realize I’m on borrowed time. I also realize no matter what brand I install it won’t last. It’s amazing that in 2018 the reliability of today’s appliance is far worst than years ago but are far more expensive.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Bought a water heater from A. O. Smith. Failed after three yrs. Still under warranty so company replaced, however labor not included. $1200.00. Thermostat failed on new heater after 3.7 yrs. A. O. Smith wouldn't replace thermostat, or discount replacement. This product appears to be defective. Would never buy A. O. Smith again.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I had an Element replaced after being in use 2 MONTHS, now less than a year later still in warranty, no labor covered the thermostat is out - the people (Armour Plumbing of Conroe that AO Smith recommended to use) wanted $350 to drain and put in new one. Didn't use them - found out the heater doesn't have to be drained to put in thermostat. Will not buy another AO Smith.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I have had my AO Smith for ONLY 11 months. Three times the pilot light has went out. Called customer service and they said it was the burner unit that needs to be replaced due to the 6 blinking lights. They sent out a whole new burner unit. Before I installed the new burner unit I wanted to clean the bottom vent that sits below the pilot light of any dust or debris (it's in our laundry room). After cleaning the vent with a shop vac. it fired right up and was good for about 2-3 months. The problem with this unit reminds me of our old Sears Kenmore that did the same thing. So frustrating!!!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I bought an A.O. Smith water heater 2 years or less ago. The gas valve failed. It was warranted, but AOS said the valve would take up to 7 business days to arrive. So I had to pay $50.00 out of my own pocket to ship it so I'd have hot water. That's BS warranty coverage!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I had an A. O. Smith gas water heater installed Nov 2016, still new and under warranty, I had a leak from the pressure release valve, called and they will pay for the part which is $25 but the plumber cost $200. When asked A. O. Smith how the valve broke in less than 2 years, their response was that it was made by a third party. I paid a lot for the higher end water heater and they subcontract someone who is unreliable. I don’t understand how a business can keep going with so much bad reviews and terrible rating.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

My hot water heater is 11 months old; I want to take a sledgehammer to the unit! Brand: A.O. Smith Signature propane purchased @ Lowe's last year. The unit worked consistently up to June 2018. We had trouble with the unit; the unit would not re-light itself when it needed to and the water would start to cool down because it would not relight itself.

It had to manually be re-lighted and still has to be manually re-lighted. The top of the tank would be relatively cold and the bottom of the tank would be extremely hot. A.O. Smith warranty people called two plumbers to get a look at it. First plumber had a bull crap theory that there was not enough propane coming into the house; our propane company then installed a brand new receptor on the tank and we ruled out the first plumber's theory. This plumber was from Sears A&E and was on the phone for 45 minutes than he was in my basement. This guy was not a plumber but a professional phone talker at best. He was at my house for an hour.

Second plumber was a master plumber with 23 years of experience and had his own company. He drove 58 miles from Pittsburgh's South Side to my place. The master plumber was at my house for FIVE hours. He tried everything and finally left my house with no real solution why the propane heater was not working. However, the master plumber must have told the warranty people that the unit was not vented properly but while the master plumber was at my house, he never said a word about the structuring of the vent.

With the master plumber's theory being released to the warranty; the warranty people have "suspended" our warranty on the unit. While the master plumber did not say a word about the venting to us, A.O. Smith argued that the venting pipe has to be at a 180 degrees angle. A.O. Smith wants us to hire an HVAC guy to see if we can make a proper vent with pipe going straight up from the basement and this would not be covered with the warranty.

The master plumber's theory could be bull-crap but we are not going to prove it. The venting pipe only has one function and that is to release the carbon monoxide emission. I strongly believe A.O. Smith made some phantom observation where an excuse was made to not have their defective tank replaced. A.O. Smith is now a company that I would not purchase from, again, & would not recommend; I have lost $700 because A.O. Smith has failed to fairly take effort into standing by their equipment.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Bought a A. O. Smith Hot Water Heater exclusive to Lowe's. Brought it Home and installed it where my Old Water Heater was, using the SAME 240V Grounded Wall Plug in the Garage, but did buy a new Power Cord for it. THE NEW WATER HEATER DID NOT WORK. Called A. O. Smith and they said that they would not come out to look at it until I Rewire It to My Junction Box. Also A. O. Smith WILL NOT WARRANTY ANY of their Hot Water Heaters unless it is Wired directly to the Junction Box. No Matter what the States Building Codes are. I'm in Texas and this is not Code Required. So if you really want one of A. O. Smith Water Heaters, you need to figure in the cost of a Certified Electrician.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

For years, I have had water heaters with my water softener. Never an issue. Recently, I bought an A.O. Smith HPTU-80N hybrid water heater. Replaced a GE Geospring which failed after a year. Three months after install, the tank developed a thick, milky-white goo-like substance on the bottom of the tank that was getting into the water. Was told by A.O. Smith that the soft water was attacking the aluminum anode rod and producing aluminum hydroxide.

The A.O. Smith rep explained I needed special new anode rods, which were not covered by the warranty. I explained this unit was only three months old, that the unit failed of its essential purpose if it could not correctly heat soft water and, therefore, A.O. Smith should provide these "special" anode rods free of charge. I was told that not only would A.O. Smith not provide the rods, it would not even split the cost with me and, in fact, would charge me to ship them to me in Arizona. Again, having had a number of brands of water heaters over the years in Arizona and using soft water, no other brand has this problem. A.O. Smith should ensure its water heaters can function with soft water, not produce a precipitate that potentially endangers my family's health, and shortens the expected life of the unit.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I purchased a well water tank at Lowe's in Union City, Tn. Installed it for 200 dollars labor and two days later the bladder failed in the tank. Lowe's will replace the tank but not sure if the tank they have is any good or one brought back as mine was scratched on the paint on top when I opened it and there was not any packing in the tank to secure it either. They will not pay any money for installation. I asked if I got another one and it happened to go bad again in the five year warranty would they pay any cost and they said no. So, one tank cost me 200, another bad one cost me 200 and then another one cost me 200 if it happened that the other one is bad. A. O. Smith out of Ashland, Tn. would not pay for any installation since they will not accept my degree in plumbing since I do not have a paid state license. So, my advice is to buy only from a company that will pay for your downtime if they have a tank that is defective.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

We purchased this water heater from LOWE'S in Feb of 2018. It broke in June of 2018. We replaced both upper & lower elements and it still will not heat water. Had Lowe's to check it out and they say the company is responsible. A.O. Smith says they are not responsible for it because we should have taken it apart & tightened up the components. We are at our wit's end trying to get a credit for this $%00.00 water heater. Very upset with A.O. Smith company & added them to our Consumer Beware website. Poor workmanship & lousy customer service.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I am the manager of a 134 unit apartment complex, each unit has its own water heater in the unit. We have been buying AO Smith water heaters because the property has some units that are 20+ years old and still work so I thought they must be good units. The last three units I have bought all failed in a very short period of time. The most recent one was installed on 3/5/2018 and failed yesterday 8/9/2018. We pulled the electrodes out and they where completely corroded and shorted out. AO Smith said we would have to install water softeners or reverse osmosis filtration on all the units and they will not warranty the units because our water is to hard?

I looked through all the paperwork and I did not see anything saying "Do not use with hard water". The complex was built in 1968 and we have never had this problem. I would recommend do not use their units if you have hard water, which is all of my area (Southern California). I don't think a water heater that cost just under $500 should require water filtration or a water softener just to work. I am very disappointed and I think the workmanship has just been lost, no product quality any more. I am not sure if they just got cheaper on their materials or if there is some regulation that is making them use less quality materials.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Water heater purchased in 2013 with a 6 year warranty for my tenants in a 2-family duplex. Water heater failed after 5 years, and required over $700 in repairs. However, due to my being a "landlord" rather than the actual homeowner/user, they FAILED to uphold their warranty because it was a "commercial" installation, since I didn't live there. BOGUS!! NEVER trust a company that misleads customers in this fashion. I decided to pay more for a new heater than place any trust in A.O. Smith.

Original review: July 24, 2018

We purchased A. O. Smith (model SAS 10L) geyser unit from a dealer in Chennai on 26/09/2016 and installed the same. In our gated community we get water from nearby bore well/well. Initially the geyser worked ok for a year. Thereafter we started getting a foul smell from the water coming out from the geyser. Since I faced the problem only in the specific restroom, we felt some issue in the water supply (We recirculate STP water for flushing purposes) and hence we were looking in that angle. Also I never experienced this foul smell issue in the last 40 years with any geyser. Finally I contacted the company last month who promptly sent their technician very next day. He opened the geyser, cleaned the heating element (deposits), tank etc and fitted it back.

Due to summer the geyser was not used. Also this restroom is meant for guest etc. I was again getting foul smell again from the geyser last week when we used it. Hence I made another complaint to the customer care. One of the offices from the company told me that you have to use the geyser regularly or at least draw some cold water through the geyser. According to him this geyser has an "Anode rod" to take care of the tank corrosion. But we were neither told by the company nor their manual tells about it at the time of purchase/installation.

A O Smith technician told that he can replace the anode rod but on cost. I refused for payment as the unit is still under warranty of 2 years and also due to their poor communication of instructions. Technician went back without replacing the spare. We would like to caution other friends who intend to go for this brand in view of the wastage of water even if the unit is not used as well as periodical replacement of anode rod. Thank you.

Original review: July 13, 2018

My father purchased a hot water heater from Lowe’s in 2007 with a lifetime warranty for parts and tank. About 2 weeks ago our hot water heater stopped working. We naturally contacted AO Smith to see about getting it fixed. At first they put it off as an electrical issue. WE had to hire an electrician to prove to them it was their tank... after about a week. Then they come back with wanted proof of purchase. Well we do not have the proof of purchase from 2007. So I spoke to a representative to explain the situation. She then said a deed to the property would be enough. We provided the proof they asked for but the kicker is the house was in my grandfather's name until 2014 when he passed. Then my father inherited the property. They have now told me that the warranty was only valid to my deceased grandfather. Imagine that? How convenient for them!

So now my father who is in poor health has been bathing with cold water for 2 weeks. Only to find out we now have to fork up the money to buy parts or possibly replace the tank. For 2 weeks they’ve given me the runaround and refused to let me speak to anyone in charge. I’ve never met a more crooked and shady company. They could give a crap less about their customers. Oh, and even Lowe’s attempted to work with them in resolving this issue and they refused to speak to them. I hope this review warns future customers to not do business with this company.

Original review: June 16, 2018

We bought a new house from the builder with an A.O. Smith 80 gal heat pump hot water heater in 2017. Within the year it stopped working so naturally we called A.O. Smith who stated that the one year labor warranty starts with the certificate of occupancy. Not our purchase date. Needless to say as a consumer we couldn’t care when the builder was finished and the houses are placed on the market. The one year should start when we purchase the house. Leaving that aside they agreed to replace the heater but we would have to pay the $800 or so for the labor.

We finally got the code to tell us what was wrong with it after a month of trying. Their own tech told us “the codes aren’t really reliable." Who sells a piece of garbage like this when they know even the error codes don’t work much less the entire heater. The bottom line is this company makes a terrible product and continues to sell it to an unsuspecting public. It’s immoral at best and criminal at worst. Don’t buy anything from them. Don’t let your neighbor buy anything from them. Maybe they will finally get the message.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Purchased Hot water boiler from A. O. Smith 2015. Broke down 3 years later. Replacement, costing me $250. Was delivered in Feb. 2018. Had to pay $500. to install the replacement. June 2018 the replacement stopped working, polite would not stay lit. After going back and forth the A. O. Smith Tech. and repairing what the claim was incorrect venting, they still can't help. It has been two weeks and the four families living in my building have been with no hot water. I have no funds to get a new boiler and A. O. Smith would not give me a refund or honor the warranty!

Original review: June 4, 2018

The plumber installed the gas hot water heater in one of the rental properties my company manages. It worked for three weeks. Then stopped providing hot water. The plumber came back out to check on the tank and found the igniter was no longer working. My wife and I tried to return it to Lowe’s and they told us we needed a RMA number and to call the number on the hot water tank. We did that. Initially they said someone would have to come out and do a repair. Then they said it’s due to improper ventilation and no one would come out. It’s not under warranty. Do Not Ever purchase a hot water tank and have trouble with it from A O Smith brand. We literally have a giant paperweight that we cannot do anything with. This is literally the worst customer service I have ever seen for a company that charges under $600 for the hot water tank. I will get another one from Home Depot next time.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Bought an A. O. Smith Hot Water Heater from Lowe's in October 2017. Water stopped getting hot in May 2018. Called the customer service line and plumber replaced parts suggested, thermostat and heating elements. Worked for that day. Next day, again no hot water. Would not replace the hot water heater. Returned it to Lowe's and they tried to get help from AO Smith customer service with no luck. Left the hot water heater at Lowe's and went to Home Depot to purchase a Rheem Hot Water Heater. Will never buy another A O Smith Hot Water Heater.

Original review: April 16, 2018

This product was installed November 2017 and from inception, without warning, I'll go to take a shower only to find no hot water. At first we thought maybe it was a fluke because it's a new unit. However this has become a pattern occurring almost once every 4 weeks; and of course the installers couldn't come out right away to make a diagnosis. A technician did come out after our home warranty company contacted them, but by the time they were able to see us we of course turned the hot water back on so they couldn't make a good diagnosis since it was worked and the technician asked that we contact them directly the next time (why is there a next time?) it happens. Which it did, and once again the technician wasn't able to come out that same day - so we're back to waiting for it to happen again.

In the interim, I contacted my home warranty company and mentioned the hot water heater hasn't operated properly since day one and maybe it's defective - at which time the warranty company mentioned the hot water heater may still be under the manufacturer's warranty. Based on the reviews I don't want this product if my hot water continues to stop without any reason.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I bought a 40 gallon gas water heater in 2013. Today the valve failed. It was covered under warranty... but the labor was $600. What a rip off. Faulty product - DO NOT Buy the brand. It was highly recommended when I purchased it from Parker and Sons and now they tell me it is a bad product and don't install them anymore. What a scam... I only bought that brand because it was what they recommended when I installed a new one.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Hot water tank failed, called home warranty company. They contacted a local plumber company that installed a gas A. O. Smith hot water tank. 2 years later the unit failed, It's been 4 months later and still once every 3 weeks the unit goes out. Everything has been changed and still failing. Buyer Beware... this product is a joke.

Original review: March 20, 2018

The reps from this company are not trustworthy - Starting from the first call to inquire about the warranty, the rep told me that my water heater was out of warranty, which when I checked their website, it was not so check the website for warranty yourself. What I was then told that it would cost me $25 processing fee for a replacement water heater which was not the case, they charged me series of fees - $125 for upgrade fee, $75 for additional fee, $25 for service fee + taxes, the total came out to around $250 for a product that would cost $600 otherwise. This is a ripoff for an item under warranty.

The rep on the phone told me that I need to go to a particular location where there are several units available, I went there, and the rep on the counter told me that they are out of it and cannot replace the water heater. I argued about getting a confirmation before heading to their location and they started blaming the rep on the phone who I might have talked to. After talking to the store manager, they confirmed that they have models that I was looking for and should be able to get it to me. This again is either a deliberate effort to not replace the water heater or just a major process and communication flaw within the company. The warranty for the product is from the date of manufacture and not the date of purchase. I have never seen anything like this before. This is again cheating.

Original review: March 6, 2018

We bought 2 A. O. Smith 50 gallon hot water heaters in March of 2015. One just failed, and the other is on its last legs. Warranty is for 6 years, however that just covers the tank...installation and misc charges are extra. So, for 1000 bucks each I get hot water for, it looks like 3 years...although some people have reported theirs lasted even less time. If I exercise my warranty, I’m out another 500 bucks each for labor, with the new heaters only warrantied for whatever was left on my original purchase.

Let’s say these last another 3 years. So in the space of 6 years I will have spent $3000 for 2 crappy hot water heaters. Oh...I also am out the $1000 deductible on my homeowners insurance for water damage repair. So...it’s now $4000. I was told that these heaters have been crap ever since they moved their manufacturing base to Mexico. After having hot water heaters that lasted over 13 years in my other homes, I find this company and their hw heaters to be absolute crap. DO NOT BUY!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

If you look at Consumer Reports, EVERY SINGLE WATER HEATER regardless of company or brand is junk and easily breaks. So how you do buy a water heater? Do without a water heater? Boil water instead? Also consider many THOUSANDS of these are sold without problem, so occasionally there is a bad apple. Luck of the draw. I just got a AO Smith but I had one before that lasted for years. I just converted to gas so who knows. Yes I'm nervous... but Rheem also had its share of complaints so it's all luck of the draw. I won't be getting tankless -- the more parts and components, the more can break. I do agree you should get one with the longest warranty possible.

Plumbers told me "they are all the same" but more care is taken for longer - warranty tanks -- better insulated, for example. There is a 3 year on-sight labor for repairs warranty and I bought an extended warranty from Lowe's for another 5 years on-sight (home) labor. This makes a total of 8 years home service. Common sense dictates if you get a water heater with a, for example, 3 or 6 year warranty, there is only a ONE YEAR on-sight warranty. Tank parts are cheap--it's the labor that counts. So I bought this 12-year warranty one due to its long warranty and for sure if you have no problems within 3 years you are in the clear -- chances are it's going to last many years. But I'm too scared to get tankless. I also have very hard water. So take your chances and pray. But like I said you take the same chances of any company, any brand. I also seen a trend that Rheem has issues with the pilot light has a tendency of going out. So I'm getting this one.

A. O. Smith Water Heaters Company Information