Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

American Standard Plumbing Reviews

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

While it may look nice, our American Standard shower assembly hasn't worked properly since installation. The anti-scald bit is more of a "What do you mean you want a shower warmer than body temperature!?!" rather than a "safety" feature. Once it reached a tepid temperature it shuts off. You can turn it to the coldest setting and slowly aim for a warmer output but it is never warmer than a degree or two above body temperature. Not good in the winter months!

We have replaced the cartridge and pressure balancing unit on our dime and made adjustments multiple times but have had no success. I, too, have phoned and waited only to have the time l-e-n-g-t-h-e-n each time the recorded voice returned to state my wait time. And then the "no agents available" after half an hour of waiting with the phone on speaker. AND the chat line seems to also never be available. I would absolutely never recommend any American Standard product, at least not here in Canada, with no opportunity for service or at least some advice. Shameful.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

There does not appear to be any real support in Canada! I called the 1-800 #'s to find a part number for a toilet replacement part # multiple times. Each time I went through their maze of selections to be placed in a queue that kept telling me it was getting longer the longer I waited. Left the phone on speaker and after 20+ mins was told via a recording there were no reps available but I could leave a message. Did that and got no call back. Tried the online chat but there was NO reps available so it could not connect. The toilet part number for my Older Canadian made unit 4049-77 does not match the American site toilet type. So in short just know you should not count on any support in Canada. I can't speak for the US. My recommendation is to look at other brands and consult the retailer on what they will do if American Standard is NON-RESPONSIVE. Good luck. My toilet's broken and I have nowhere to go!!!!

Get expert buying tips about Bathroom and Kitchen Faucets delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

Have always purchased American Standard toilets but the Champion 4 is the worst one and will never purchase it again. The rubber gaskets on the tank did not seal and we had to mop water off our newly installed floor. Tried several times to correct. Finally went back to Lowe's to find out what could be done. Salesperson said he had heard of this problem and suggested that we just purchase generic rubber gaskets and install them differently. Still having a problem with some drips but at least not a flood. Shouldn't have to purchase extra items after spending $200.00 for a new toilet. Will look at different ones if we have to ever replace another.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

I bought the Pull- down Kitchen Faucet from Home Depot about 6 weeks ago. Over Christmas we noticed that it had started to leak. Went to Home depot to get a replacement cartridge and was told they didn't stock them anymore as the They had ceased supplying them to the stores. I was instructed to contact customer service and they would be able to help. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Phoned up and due to heavy demand I was told the wait time was 27 mins. After about 5 minutes it announced to me that the wait time was now 29 minutes - now when I was schooled 27 - 5 would give you 22 minutes or so. That is correct. Their schooling does not match what we were told. Being a persistent character I decided to wait and indeed mock the "phantom customer service" agent once I had got through. Next announcement after some additional minutes said it was a 24 minutes wait. A short time after (say 5 mins) that it announced a 41 minutes wait time closely followed by another and final wait time of 44 minutes. Finally, after about 2 or 3 mins an announcement stated and this was barely audible something about a phone number to call and an email address if you wished to contact them. At that point the call was terminated by THEM.

While I was waiting I thought I would try the "chat agent online" but that too was not working and instructed me to email to an email address. That email address doesn't seem to work either. Seriously what type of business are they. Sorry but in my opinion this is not the way to conduct business and going forward I will not purchase another American Standard product ever again and will advise my friends and colleagues of this too. Now as it stands I still have a leaking faucet which I will strip down and return back to the shop and get a different brand which I hope will fix the leak.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

Wow, where do I start? When I moved into the house I currently live in there were two 'American standard' toilets installed. Over the last 7 years, both of them have been having the same problem; the float arm keeps breaking off. Now I have two toilets that have to have the water completely turned off when not in use. Garbage, cheap toilets. Absolute crap. Never buy an American standard toilet if you want a toilet that lasts.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Standard Plumbing?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

Purchased toilet 4 yrs ago from Lowe's. Had good review at time. Since then I have had to replace gaskets 3 time and whole inner unit once. Doing it again now. Followed all instructions and also went to YouTube video to be sure. Same problem. Had plumber redo it again and still runs $150 later. You would think American Standard would fix this problem by now but still sell same unit. Very poor quality. I am remodeling and will not ever again use any products from American Standard.

Original review: July 19, 2019

Had a Cadet PRO installed on 12/15 with optional “slow close” lid. Lid failed after one year. Contacted customer service and they sent a replacement with no issues. Now the replacement has failed. Tried three times on hold and finally after 55 minutes got thru. Service representative said that the warranty on lids was only 1 year. I told her I was looking at the warranty sheet that came with the toilet and it specifically says “TEN YEAR limited warranty champion slow close toilet seat”. She then attempted to argue with me saying “no, that’s on the toilet”. When I asked her why it specifically said “slow close toilet seat” and NOT toilet she hung up. NEVER NEVER EVER deal with company!

Original review: May 2, 2019

I purchased the Champion 4 toilet in March 2017 based on the positive ratings online. In April 2019 I noticed water on the bathroom floor and after inspecting the toilet, discovered a hairline crack on the front of the tank where the water was leaking from. Toilet had not been hit or disturbed in any way, so have no idea how the crack started. Was going to locate the receipt and contact the company for a replacement; but after reading the comments here about their shoddy customer service and product quality, I won't replace with another American Standard product and possibly have a repeat occurrence. Will never purchase this company's products again!

Original review: April 12, 2019

We bought 3 AS Trent toilets from Lowe's in 2017. About 2 months ago our Town notified us of excessive water usage at our property & asked us to check for leaks. We have to hire a plumber & after lots of testing, he said it's 2 of our toilets. He said it maybe due to the faulty flapper seals. Who needs to repair toilets after only 2 yrs. of use. Just hope he is right. We are still testing. I emailed AS but of course no reply. They really have to improve the durability of their products & prove their customer service.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I am beyond frustrated trying to get help or answers regarding the shower valve we purchased. 14 calls, online complaint, zero contact. Now I’m stuck with paying for removing this piece of crap. I’m looking at 1000$ to remove tile, Kerdi membrane, labour, the mess over a 180$ shower faucet that produces no hot water. They can’t even return a call, or answer a phone. NEVER BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!

American Standard Plumbing expert review by Jonathan Trout

American Standard has been designing and making bathroom and kitchen fixtures for over 140 years. It makes multiple styles of faucets for your kitchen and bathroom sink, as well as shower and tub. Faucet prices range from around $140 to over $700.

• Bathroom faucets: American Standard makes one- and two-handled bathroom faucets. They come in up to five installation types and modern or traditional designs. Bathroom faucets come in brushed nickel, bronze, oil-rubbed bronze, chrome or stainless steel.

• Kitchen faucets: American Standard makes multiple styles of kitchen faucets. Choose from pulldown or pull-out faucets, wall-mounted, deck-mounted, single- or double-handle faucets and more.

• SelectFlo: SelectFlo technology includes four spray patterns to make washing dishes and cleaning up easier in your kitchen sink. You can filter which models have SelectFlo technology when you’re looking at faucets on American Standard's website.

• Selectronic technology: Selectronic hands-free technology is American Standard’s touchless faucet system that allows you to turn water on and off with a wave of your hand. It has a sliding sensor door so you can select a manual mode when needed.

• ADA compliant: American Standard has multiple models and styles of ADA compliant kitchen faucets. These are easy to use for people with limited mobility and dexterity issues.

• Best for: consumers wanting multiple faucet styles and designs to choose from.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team