1.28/5
  • 1 star
Based on 61 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

American Standard Plumbing

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 10, 2018

82 American Standard Plumbing Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

This is ridiculous... I just called them and the VM states their hours around the new year and I had to leave a message! Why can't someone help me without having to call several numbers, send several emails on different websites and then a post on facebook??? Awful customer service!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

American Standard Toliet. Product worked well for one year then tank cracked. Customer Service is the worst I have ever experienced. Despite Great Consumer reports ratings, I would not buy another product from this Company. They simply do not stand behind their products. Not in the same league as Kohler, Delta, or any other major company I have done business with. Very frustrating customer service process. Rude staff. Not worth the aggravation!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

We bought an American Standard water heater in Aug of 2015. It failed on Dec 22, 2017, a little over 2 years later. Water was leaking out and the bottom of the unit was rusted out. Plumber told us that they have had a lot of problems with American Standard and will no longer install them. Our choice was to either pay $600.00 labor charge to install another American Standard unit or $1700.00 to install a Ruud water heater with a 10 year warranty. We decided not to risk any more money on American Standard and bought a new Rudd water heater. We will never again buy an American Standard product.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

l purchased an American Standard cadet toilet in end November from Ferguson plumbing supply in Farmingdale NY. Had a lic plumber install I️t for my 96 yr old grandma. She told me yesterday it has a hairline crack in the bowl and is leaking!? l just started researching this online and found many similar complaints. l guarantee this company’s quality control and materials are sub standard and should be their new company name. I’ll be calling them tomorrow but judging by the poor reviews, Not optimistic! Unreal.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

Bought my American Standard EasyTouch (6310 series) Kitchen faucet about 9 years ago. Under its lifetime warranty I have already had to replace it once. A couple of months ago the cap came off the sprayer hand-set in that replacement, and I called to order a replacement. After several follow up phone calls I was told that the part is back-ordered. I have finally given up and purchased a new Moen faucet. The faucet is unreliable, and the "lifetime warranty" is useless.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Standard Plumbing?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I called American Standard Canada customer service to get a warranty repair on an Amarilis bathroom faucet that I bought new retail $445.00. The reason for the call was for a seized cold water handle and a small water leak in the unit. I was immediately put on hold for 45 minutes. Finally an unfriendly customer service rep took my call. She was advised of the defects. She then requested that I send her a picture of my faucet and a picture of my original bill of sale. She then assigned me a case #**. The requested pictures were sent to her that same day. Weeks have gone by and I have not received my repair parts. I have sent them four emails, two of them requesting an update but they do not respond. I am now in the process of filing a complaint with "Ontario Consumer Protection".

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Bought a kitchen faucet at HD. Spent an hour installing it. Diverter didn't work. Called CS and they sent me a replacement. Spent another awful hour under the sink installing the second one. Same problem. Done installing faucets so I kept it. Now it's starting to rust. Came with a lifetime warranty. Called CS and they told me it wasn't really a lifetime warranty. Only covers the moving parts. Great. Now I have an awful looking faucet that they refuse to help me with. No more American Standard stuff for me.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

American Standard DXV St George - I have four toilets in my home, this cost the most and has caused problems since it was installed. Every few times you flush it the flapper won't close. I have been ready to pull my hair out dealing with AS' warranty department and after 2 years with the thing I'm ready to pull it out and put in a TOTO or a KOHLER instead. Honestly, put in a nice basic model that works and forget about this fancy looking poor-functioning toilet.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

The installation of our tub was completed in mid June of 2017. We were promised by the salesperson that the service was awesome. Needed a part replaced. The parts were delivered quickly but the service tech. has never called us for an appt. to come out and fix the tub. It has been 13 days now and still no call. After a few calls to customer service and being told that they had already called and left msg. and email to the service tech to call me, no call has been made to me.

The tub cannot be used in the meantime with installing the repair parts. Water will leak out the door. My 87 yr. old mother in a wheelchair, now has to use the no rinse body wash, as she waits till the tub is repaired. I threatened to do a bad review and to call BBB but still, no phone call from the service Tech. Jason. I called again this morning and was told that the Manager would be giving me a phone call today. Sooo, the tub is great but the service is nonexistent. NOT what we were sold on from the saleslady. Very disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

After purchasing (2) new American Standard toilets and having them professionally installed, one of the toilets would flush by itself. After several weeks of installing new warranty parts, I find the casting had a defect in it and the bottom gasket of course wouldn't seal. Been waiting for (2) weeks for an answer about my warranty claim and of course American Standard doesn't have the decency to contact me with the replacement toilet delivery date. The damage was so obvious in the casting, only a blind assembly person at the factor couldn't see that defect when installing the gasket. Knowing full well that toilet will continually flush itself. DON'T EVER DEAL WITH AMERICAN STANDARD! They don't care about customer relations.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I purchased three (3) American Standard toilets from Lowe's Canada, and installed them myself. After installing the first one, and being satisfied with the flushing action, I installed the other two. After returning home, after being away for a couple of days, I found water stains and soft drywall along my kitchen ceiling and walls. Needless to say, I found that water had seeped from the bathroom above. Upon inspection, I found a hairline crack in the tank of the brand new toilet. Lowe's was good enough to replace the toilet, instantaneously. Dealing with American Standard about the damages and repair was another story. Upon contact with the customer service department, I was informed that American Standard does absolutely nothing regarding damages. They will replace the damaged product, upon their inspection. Just imagine covering the drain and waiting for them to direct ship you another toilet, if they decide to.

I was contacted by Kimberley **, who claimed to be the top person to complain to. Her attitude was very simple: "We do not pay for any damages, especially when the consumer self installs the product". After a rather heated discussion, (MS. ** WAS EXTREMELY CONDESCENDING) I was asked to submit a bill for the damages and repairs. This was submitted, as an estimate, and I was told that this would not be suitable. In not so many words, Ms. ** was all but saying that she felt that I was trying to make a fraudulent claim! Needless to say, my further inquiries were totally ignored, and there is no contact information, to allow me to pursue this matter further. I assume that Kimberley ** is now the president of the company, as her attitude towards the consumer will bode her well as she climbs the corporate ladder. Think twice before you buy their product. They make a good product, but, if you have a problem, they could not care less!

Original review: June 28, 2017

After one year the toilet would not flush properly. By adding a mug of water it would flush complete. After ripping the tank off and investigation the flush path I found a 20% blockage in the forward part of the flush path. It felt like a combination of ** and calcium from the year of slow water movement. The solution that should be available would be a special bent metal tool to open the flush path without the mess I had to endure. If you need assistance I can design one for you.

Original review: June 28, 2017

After installing a brand new faucet in my bathroom always had problems with, was not working correctly, a few weeks after that the faucet just didn't work at all causing the water to drip and going into my wall... When I called customer service and speaking to 4-5 different people they all gave me the run around not helping at all, not calling me back nor returning my emails. They hang up on me many times, being rude and nasty on the phone. This is the worst customer service people I dealt with in my life. My problem still unresolved, causing me to spend more money to buy a new faucet, I will never buy anything from American Standard again, they do not stand by their products and customer service stinks... No wonder everything is made in China now!!!

Original review: June 1, 2017

Some twenty years ago remodeled my home and installed 7 Williamsburg Faucets in the remodel from Home Depot. In the ensuing years I had three cartridge failures in the last 18 years. With the first failure I contacted American Standard by phone and established an account with my information including phone and home address.

I recently has another cartridge failure and called American Standard Customer Service asking for a replacement under the lifetime warranty. With a poor attitude the American Standard Rep. kept saying "Limited Lifetime" for the owner. She wanted to read it to me, I had the original copy in my hands merely said I had it and could read it myself. She then said I had to have the receipt from twenty years ago because she didn't know if I was the owner of the faucets. I told her I had previous replacements and she could check the record. She said she had the record in front of her but that didn't mean I was the owner and I would have to have a receipt. It is noteworthy that American Standard does not register faucets for warranty though they had all my information that they kept. The lifetime warranty they advertise seems pretty useless if your purchase is a few years old. So much for filling your home with their products.

Original review: April 23, 2017

Furious! Second time to have a flood on parquet floors and Persian wool carpets due to toilets overflowing. Bedroom bathroom and hall flooded with water (fortunately clean). See two images of flapper mechanism inside of toilet (note there is not much "play".) The manufacturer obviously has a faulty flapper design. Has this flaw been reported to the government for a recall?

Original review: April 17, 2017

We purchased the Cadet toilet from American Standard through our local Home Depot. We loved the ease of installation, no problems with water leaking but within a three month period we discovered the toilet bowl was cracked in four places. American Standard was extremely helpful. I save my receipts on large purchases for at least a year, so that wasn't a problem. Their representative advised me to keep in a safe place due to the warranty. So glad because just before Easter weekend with 18 people coming I discovered that the replacement was now cracking from the lip of the bowl down the center of the front.

I just called American Standard and got a very nice person. They are going to refund my money but that means a whole series of pictures to be taken before removing the toilet, then take a hammer and put holes in the tank and bowl and take pictures. Then they will refund what we paid. I only have one toilet in my home. So we have to have someone install a toilet for the third time in less than a year. We had no problem with the way the toilet worked, in fact we really liked it. But the quality of the bowl is awful.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

Toilet cracked in middle after two months. American Standard refused to refund the money. Emails went back and forth for 6 months!! So frustrated!!!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

I called the customer number to ask about a replacement part for my faucet in my bathroom. The first lady I spoke to was helpful in providing the model number. Then I called back to get my part with the lifetime warranty, and the second lady was extremely RUDE! She was yelling at me, and wanted me to pay for the replacement part. She wanted the copy of the receipt from 13 years ago, even though it's a lifetime warranty. She then accused me of yelling, and hung up without any acknowledgment of a solution for the problem. What kind of customer service is that?!

Finally, I called again and spoke to a third person, also rude. In comparison with Delta service, and product quality, I will never use American Standard again. All my house is Delta products with no leakage problems, and super nice service. No interrogation to customer. My advice: regardless of whether you have the receipt, keep calling them until they give you the replacement for the problem. After so much unhelpful attitude, I finally got someone to action the lifetime warranty and sent me the part without the receipt. One time only policy apparently, so use it!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

I am a plumbing contractor, and just started installing the American Standard champion 4 max toilet because of the 4" flush valve. After I installed the toilet, a few months later the flush valve seal leaked, so I called up American Standard and they told me that only the customer can get the seal and the customer has to have proof and needs the original receipt to be emailed to them in order to get the seal under warranty. Well first off a contractor does not give the customers receipts for any parts purchased by contractor. I explained this to the lady and she said "oh well, looks like you will have to find the receipt and take it to your customer." This is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard of.

We as contractors make money off the parts to so we can't just give the customer our receipts. This is the most outrageous thing I ever heard of. I emailed the headquarters of American Standard and no one returned my email. I will never install another American Standard product ever... I will go back to installing Gerber avalanche toilets which have a great customer service and there is no issues when a part needs to be covered under warranty, and I will install only Delta faucets.

American Standard can stick their parts right up there you know what. I hope that all contractors read this so they will stay far away from American Standard products. I hope they go out of business. They sound greedy, and obviously make it hard to get warranty parts covered. And for a flush valve seal to leak after 2 weeks is ridiculous, I had to order a korky 4" flush valve seal online, to repair the toilet because my cpa had all my original receipts due to the end of year taxes, and also I had other items on that particular receipt anyways. It's just crazy how American Standard has their warranty set up. STAY AWAY FROM AMERICAN STANDARD PRODUCTS.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

I bought a faucet about 10 years ago, when I replaced my whole kitchen, and the metal under the faucet that keeps it in place broke. I called the company and the person in customer service, had no willingness to help at all. He asked me to send pictures of the faucet and I did. Then he called me back and said that I needed to buy a new one if I did not find the receipt. He was like a police investigating a crime, he made me feel like I was stealing from the company. The lifetime warranty only works if you keep your receipt. The product is pretty good but be aware!!!! Keep your receipt if you ever want to get a replacement.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

Our business installed TWELVE Champion toilets in an apartment building, and within two months two tanks have CRACKED from handle across tank front. Who has EVER had a toilet crack?!? Service dept avoiding all responsibility, will never buy AS products again.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

I had the worst experience with a 50 gallon gas operated water heater sold by American Standard. The unit was installed in March 2013. By November 2016, I installed FIVE thermocouples. While American Standard provided the part, I had to pay a plumber $150 to install each thermocouple. The last one installed two days ago failed in 6 hours. At that point I had to suck it up and buy a Rheem brand Water Heater and hope that it does not give me the trouble that this POS has. Do yourself a favor and do NOT purchase a water heater sold by American Standard. I tried to not give any stars but I had to give them one.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2016

Just completed a remodel that included 2 Champion 4 Max toilets purchased from Menards. One of the toilets located in an addition with all new plumbing flushed with about half the enthusiasm as the other. I looked for any reason for the weak flush, and sought advice and eventually swapped the toilets where the same toilet still performed poorly. I called American Standard feeling I had a pretty good case and expected that after gathering info, they would send a local contractor to help. Instead I got a customer service rep who told me there was likely something wrong with my venting or that an animal crawled into my vent pipe. She explained that I would need to show proof that those items were checked before they would send me a new toilet because she knows from experience a new toilet will not help. I have never experienced a customer support so determined not to get involved.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2016

American Standard??? The toilet I bought was made in Mexico!!! This company just tries to capitalize on the good American name. I bought a new American Standard toilet 2 years and the flow valve is leaking and now I cannot get any parts for it. I called customer service and they are not interested in helping customers at all. I will never buy another American Standard products again.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2016

We remodeled a master bathroom in 2003, only 13 years ago, and installed an American Standard Amarilis Contemporary faucet and shower head in the shower. The shower handle stripped and eventually stopped working. We have a vise grip attached so we can turn the water on and off. It is discontinued and we can no longer get parts for it. That means we have to rip out the tile, install something new, and re-tile. I can't believe parts are no longer available. I could see if it was very old but I don't consider 13 years very old in plumbing terms. Very dissatisfied. I would even take in another finish but even that is not available. I have the exterior parts. It is the interior parts that need to be replaced. You'd think they'd be standard size/shape.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2016

I just installed an American Standard UHET Dual Flush Toilet Model 740A.200 and it was without a doubt one of the best and fastest Toilet Experiences ever. I was totally pleased, two thumbs up with the ease in which it was able to be assembled and installed. All and even extra parts were provided, as well as special tools to add and speed the process up and make it come together in the blink of an eye, in comparisons to previous Toilet replacements. As an engineer, I was especially impressed with the design advancements and new materials that American Standard offered over Toto and Kohler offerings. Let's see how it holds up over time. There is no reason to believe that I may expect issues, but this is new ground for all UHET toilets. Toilets are usually one chore people put off, but, I am ready and willing to do one for my brother here in CA next week. Doing our part with the drought.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

I have the lump sum receipt for material and labor from the plumber who installed an American Standard faucet in my bathroom as part of a renovation in 2004. But I do not have and did not know to ask for the individual receipts for fixtures that were installed. As a result, though I am the original owner of the faucet, American Standard refuses to honor their lifetime warranty for the faucet.

Original review: June 27, 2016

Count your loss early if you purchased a hot water heater from Lowe's. Tear it out and start over, or you will be paying to have the gas valves and burner units sent and a service call every time. Living for days without hot water and the hassle of draining it when it's the gas valve. It was 4 years old and the longest it ever worked was 3 months at a time. Most frustrating purchase ever made and I've been in my house 23 years.

Original review: June 4, 2016

When this happened during the warranty period, a very surly woman said, "We'll send a new actuator". That was it. New actuator installed, sounds like water is running. Sound only becomes more frequent until it is constant. Then, toilet starts flushing itself again a few months later. Call American Standard again. They'll send another actuator. If the first two actuators didn't work, I'm gonna bet that the problem is not the actuator. This toilet is a "Lowe's Exclusive" meaning I can't get it anywhere else and Lowe's doesn't cover repairs on products like toilets. I could call American Standard again, and they would tell me they will send me a new actuator. I spent THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($300.00) on this toilet - no rebate - and it doesn't work. The new actuator lasted just three weeks.

I am very angry, I am trying to list my house for sale, I can't sell it without a working toilet! I should be doing other things than writing complaints to American Standard. Their own site has plenty of one star, crappy toilet reviews, the company seems oblivious. Lowe's also has many 1 star reviews and warnings not to buy this toilet. But, nobody reads reviews before they buy when it comes to something like a 'touch free' toilet. My next rant will be to the BBB, and I hope others will follow. We all bought a lemon, and AS isn't acknowledging it, offering to fix or repair/replace. And this is something that needs to be addressed!

Original review: May 22, 2016

We bought three American Standard toilet sets for our new home. Within a few months of light usage, all the bidet sprays were leaking for unknown reasons. Because of that, we turned off their water source and called a plumber to fix them. Weeks after that, the leaks were still there and our bathrooms became flooded so we were forced to just remove them altogether.

Plumber said they were irreparable and we should ask for replacements. We thought of getting the replacements at the local Home Depot where we bought them but since all three sets had the same problem, we thought that there's a big possibility that it would also happen to every replacement sent (assuming they'd agree to it). We also can't find the time to go to the store so we just decided to forego the idea. But I didn't expect the leaks for such newly installed products. Very disappointing and not worth the money at all.

American Standard Plumbing expert review by Jonathan Trout

American Standard has been designing and making bathroom and kitchen fixtures for over 140 years. It makes multiple styles of faucets for your kitchen and bathroom sink, as well as shower and tub. Faucet prices range from around $140 to over $700.

• Bathroom faucets: American Standard makes one- and two-handled bathroom faucets. They come in up to five installation types and modern or traditional designs. Bathroom faucets come in brushed nickel, bronze, oil-rubbed bronze, chrome or stainless steel.

• Kitchen faucets: American Standard makes multiple styles of kitchen faucets. Choose from pulldown or pull-out faucets, wall-mounted, deck-mounted, single- or double-handle faucets and more.

• SelectFlo: SelectFlo technology includes four spray patterns to make washing dishes and cleaning up easier in your kitchen sink. You can filter which models have SelectFlo technology when you’re looking at faucets on American Standard's website.

• Selectronic technology: Selectronic hands-free technology is American Standard’s touchless faucet system that allows you to turn water on and off with a wave of your hand. It has a sliding sensor door so you can select a manual mode when needed.

• ADA compliant: American Standard has multiple models and styles of ADA compliant kitchen faucets. These are easy to use for people with limited mobility and dexterity issues.

• Best for: consumers wanting multiple faucet styles and designs to choose from.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout
Jonathan Trout

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

American Standard Plumbing Company Information

www.americanstandard-us.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use