Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.16/5

Banner image

Need help with a bathroom project?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Banner image

Need help with a bathroom project?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

American Standard Plumbing Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Standard Plumbing?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Standard Plumbing?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2020

Do Not Buy American Standard toilets. My toilet is approximately 4 years old. My home is approximately 28 years old. The manufacturer is Briggs which is like the modern day Kohler. Due to the fact that I needed a new toilet with an older size house pipe, I had to find one in stock. (My toilet I was replacing had a small crack in the tank.) Only place that had one in stock was Lowe’s. I love Lowe’s and don’t direct any of my blame towards them. The plumber that came to install it said do not use American Standard and to wait a week or two and pay the small special order upcharge. Didn’t want to wait since it was in my en-suite. After all I thought “oh well it’s just a toilet”. This product is sold with their “comfortable seat height”...yah if your 5’8” or taller!! Flushing system is terrible and this is a 4 year old toilet?!! The other two “old” toilets in my home still work absolutely fine. Should have listened to the my plumber!!

Original review: June 28, 2020

We purchased an American Standard faucet set 4 years ago and it's already squeaking. The plumber said their faucets are so hard to fix that it would be more cost effective to get a new faucet from Kohler because the plumbing charge to replace the part would be so high. We are terribly disappointed in the product.

Get buying tips about Bathroom and Kitchen Faucets delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 20, 2020

I would not buy a goldfish from this company! My 5 ton outdoor Central air unit compressor went out yesterday and the unit is under warranty. They will not get me the part. No dealer will repair the unit. I am told it will take several weeks for a replacement part and it is 100 degrees in Texas. Ridiculous treatment! I am having to spend 6 thousand dollars for a replacement outdoor unit but it won't be American Standard you can count on that! They can also count on a lawsuit being filed for forcing me to replace this. What a crappy company! I hope they have fun with the lawsuit. It's about principle not money to me but they will figure out how expensive it can be when they screw with the wrong person.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

There is absolutely no way to contact this company - by design. Their phone number, as many others have attested, has an inverse logic. As expected these days, the wait time will be most of your life. However, the number of minutes you are expected to wait start out low, then instead of creeping down, actually goes up. Expect to wait for 1/2 hour then get hung up on. The chat window has never worked. Emails to customer service will NOT get answered. There is simply NO WAY to contact this company. A once great brand has turned into a pitiful excuse for a company. I would heartily recommend never to purchase anything from American Standard. Once the product has been sold, you will NEVER be able to have after sales service with this company.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

While it may look nice, our American Standard shower assembly hasn't worked properly since installation. The anti-scald bit is more of a "What do you mean you want a shower warmer than body temperature!?!" rather than a "safety" feature. Once it reached a tepid temperature it shuts off. You can turn it to the coldest setting and slowly aim for a warmer output but it is never warmer than a degree or two above body temperature. Not good in the winter months!

We have replaced the cartridge and pressure balancing unit on our dime and made adjustments multiple times but have had no success. I, too, have phoned and waited only to have the time l-e-n-g-t-h-e-n each time the recorded voice returned to state my wait time. And then the "no agents available" after half an hour of waiting with the phone on speaker. AND the chat line seems to also never be available. I would absolutely never recommend any American Standard product, at least not here in Canada, with no opportunity for service or at least some advice. Shameful.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

There does not appear to be any real support in Canada! I called the 1-800 #'s to find a part number for a toilet replacement part # multiple times. Each time I went through their maze of selections to be placed in a queue that kept telling me it was getting longer the longer I waited. Left the phone on speaker and after 20+ mins was told via a recording there were no reps available but I could leave a message. Did that and got no call back. Tried the online chat but there was NO reps available so it could not connect. The toilet part number for my Older Canadian made unit 4049-77 does not match the American site toilet type. So in short just know you should not count on any support in Canada. I can't speak for the US. My recommendation is to look at other brands and consult the retailer on what they will do if American Standard is NON-RESPONSIVE. Good luck. My toilet's broken and I have nowhere to go!!!!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

Have always purchased American Standard toilets but the Champion 4 is the worst one and will never purchase it again. The rubber gaskets on the tank did not seal and we had to mop water off our newly installed floor. Tried several times to correct. Finally went back to Lowe's to find out what could be done. Salesperson said he had heard of this problem and suggested that we just purchase generic rubber gaskets and install them differently. Still having a problem with some drips but at least not a flood. Shouldn't have to purchase extra items after spending $200.00 for a new toilet. Will look at different ones if we have to ever replace another.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

I bought the Pull- down Kitchen Faucet from Home Depot about 6 weeks ago. Over Christmas we noticed that it had started to leak. Went to Home depot to get a replacement cartridge and was told they didn't stock them anymore as the They had ceased supplying them to the stores. I was instructed to contact customer service and they would be able to help. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Phoned up and due to heavy demand I was told the wait time was 27 mins. After about 5 minutes it announced to me that the wait time was now 29 minutes - now when I was schooled 27 - 5 would give you 22 minutes or so. That is correct. Their schooling does not match what we were told. Being a persistent character I decided to wait and indeed mock the "phantom customer service" agent once I had got through. Next announcement after some additional minutes said it was a 24 minutes wait. A short time after (say 5 mins) that it announced a 41 minutes wait time closely followed by another and final wait time of 44 minutes. Finally, after about 2 or 3 mins an announcement stated and this was barely audible something about a phone number to call and an email address if you wished to contact them. At that point the call was terminated by THEM.

While I was waiting I thought I would try the "chat agent online" but that too was not working and instructed me to email to an email address. That email address doesn't seem to work either. Seriously what type of business are they. Sorry but in my opinion this is not the way to conduct business and going forward I will not purchase another American Standard product ever again and will advise my friends and colleagues of this too. Now as it stands I still have a leaking faucet which I will strip down and return back to the shop and get a different brand which I hope will fix the leak.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

Wow, where do I start? When I moved into the house I currently live in there were two 'American standard' toilets installed. Over the last 7 years, both of them have been having the same problem; the float arm keeps breaking off. Now I have two toilets that have to have the water completely turned off when not in use. Garbage, cheap toilets. Absolute crap. Never buy an American standard toilet if you want a toilet that lasts.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

Purchased toilet 4 yrs ago from Lowe's. Had good review at time. Since then I have had to replace gaskets 3 time and whole inner unit once. Doing it again now. Followed all instructions and also went to YouTube video to be sure. Same problem. Had plumber redo it again and still runs $150 later. You would think American Standard would fix this problem by now but still sell same unit. Very poor quality. I am remodeling and will not ever again use any products from American Standard.

American Standard Plumbing author review by Jonathan Trout

American Standard has been designing and making bathroom and kitchen fixtures for over 140 years. It makes multiple styles of faucets for your kitchen and bathroom sink, as well as shower and tub. Faucet prices range from around $140 to over $700.

• Bathroom faucets: American Standard makes one- and two-handled bathroom faucets. They come in up to five installation types and modern or traditional designs. Bathroom faucets come in brushed nickel, bronze, oil-rubbed bronze, chrome or stainless steel.

• Kitchen faucets: American Standard makes multiple styles of kitchen faucets. Choose from pulldown or pull-out faucets, wall-mounted, deck-mounted, single- or double-handle faucets and more.

• SelectFlo: SelectFlo technology includes four spray patterns to make washing dishes and cleaning up easier in your kitchen sink. You can filter which models have SelectFlo technology when you’re looking at faucets on American Standard's website.

• Selectronic technology: Selectronic hands-free technology is American Standard’s touchless faucet system that allows you to turn water on and off with a wave of your hand. It has a sliding sensor door so you can select a manual mode when needed.

• ADA compliant: American Standard has multiple models and styles of ADA compliant kitchen faucets. These are easy to use for people with limited mobility and dexterity issues.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team