1.20/5
Based on 86 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

107 American Standard Plumbing Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Had bathtub frame custom made to fit an American Standard Whirlpool tub. Plumbers discover the drain is not even and would leak. Sent in video footage to get a replacement tub sent out. (Meanwhile costing us the plumbers time AND leaving my home of 5 with no tub). New replacement tub arrives, we schedule the plumbers to install. Discover the 2nd tub sent by American Standard has a leak in one of the jets! Now we have had to pay plumbers and contractors TWICE to come install our new tub and we have a leaky tub. Horribly disappointed in the lack of concern by their customer service department and my family is extremely put out of pocket, time off work, and extreme hassles in dealing with American Standard phone calls begging for assistance to rectify THEIR error!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Purchased a Champion toilet, the golf ball one, when it had a lifetime warranty. Had the product registered and got a replacement part after a long battle. Now another part under the warranty is broken and tried to get it replaced, after 30 min on hold "they have no record of my purchase", I still have the emails from them from the last time I had this battle where they admitted my purchase, and warranty. Today, they don't care. "Go pound sand. No warranty for you!" Sad how a once "white knight" company has fallen so much in quality, customer support, and integrity. Ever wonder how companies used to make money back when they had great products and customer service? I guess companies like American Standard just want to make even more money and screw the customer.

Get expert buying tips about Bathroom and Kitchen Faucets delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

4-5 year old American Standard toilet water tank cracked by the flush handle for no reason. We installed this toilet during house remodel. This model was supposed to flush golf balls but was so cheaply made (China).

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

We purchased 3 new American Standard Dual Flush toilets approximately 3 years ago, in that time we have had '2' fail, with the same issue: Seals fail and the toilet water continues to run. Customer Service Hotline has taken a minimum of 45 minutes (of hold time) on every contact to answer their phone! On both (separate) occasions promised delivery of new parts within 5 days was not met therefore had to be repeatedly re-contacted to remind them of their commitments. Needless to say, American Standard represents a large company that produces poor quality products backed by slow incompetent service support!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Bought a push button AS toilet from Home Depot. Was actually upsold to that unit. I could not get the unit to flush after several attempts, and online support. Called in a professional plumber thinking it was something I did wrong. After he made the same adjustments, and called a tech, it was proven to be a defective toilet. Part has been on backorder for weeks, with no date to forecast when we will get the part. I am not even sure this part is going to fix the problem.

Customer service lady today (1-17-18) was very rude, and after 1.5 hours of phone time invested she asks: "Is this the only toilet in your home?" Why would that matter? Their product failed out of the box, a plumber then cost me over $150.00 to tell me what I knew, and now I have a defective toilet that will not hold water, will not flush, has stuff stuck all over it, seat is very cheap and will need adjusting all the time, and we have the main bathroom toilet unusable. I will never buy a AS product again, and I hope this message reaches all of the future buyers out there. Stay Away From Everything With Their Logo on it!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Standard Plumbing?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

We bought an American Standard sink and faucet combination at Costco a couple of years ago. The sprayer gets stuck on spray after some months of use. We cannot get it back to stream. I believe that this has a lifetime warranty! I wrote and sent pictures to American Standard the first time and they sent me a new spray head. That lasted maybe 6 months or so. We were too busy during the holidays to deal with it. I just e-mailed them to say the spray head was bad again and they said that they sent me a new one already "as a courtesy." And that they could send me one last one "as a courtesy", and that I needed a receipt.

I assumed the receipt is to prove when I bought it. I'm sure they know when this product was in retail and also that I had a previous problem AND that reviews show that other people have had the same problem. I do save "big ticket" receipts and found mine in an old file so I e-mailed them a copy and asked when I would get my replacement. I will sure think twice about buying American Standard. Poor customer service is maybe worse than a bad product.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Bought toilet 2 yrs ago. Flushes great but everything sticks to bowl from day one. Must flush then physically wipe down bowl and flush again. Worst I ever owned to keep clean. I should have returned it but kind of hard after being used. Wonder if anyone else has this problem?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I have American Standard faucet and shower heads in two bathrooms. They look great, except for the broken parts. The faucet diverters lasted a year or two, and replacement parts are not available for my models. We use thick hair elastics to make them work. The hot/cold temp control knob in one bathroom broke when my 70-something sister turned it too hard in the wrong direction. The ceramic handle on the other set in the other bathroom broke, and the model is discontinued so it cannot be replaced. Repeated efforts to contact American Standard resulted in no reply. These are not bargain products. But I'd get better customer service at a dollar store.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I purchased a Cadet 3 toilet from Home Depot in June of 2015. It is still under warranty. The toilet has developed a problem with a faulty/leaky flapper valve. I have tried calling 1-800-387-0369 American Standard customer service several times. Each time I hold for about 30 minutes and no one answers the call. I called their head office at 905-949-4800. A lady answered, took my contact information and said someone would contact me. It never happened. I have used their online contact customer service form and again no one contacts me. This company is not being responsible to their customers. Unfortunately, Home Depot will not get involved and isn't interested in protecting their customers from this type of fraud. Wish I had done some research before purchasing.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

What a joke, kitchen faucet broke. Called with model number and all, told me you had to have a receipt for lifetime warranty. Who in the hell keeps a receipt for lifetime warranty when you can send in pictures and model number. Will never buy or recommend American Standard. From now it's Kohler. They have a much better warranty. All you need is the model number and it's taken care of.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Purchased an expensive American Standard ClearTap faucet because it had a LIFETIME warranty. The 1st time we needed parts they just sent them. BUT not now. Their integrity has died. What Lifetime? BIG LIE!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I have a water Heater Model Number: GS-40T2-3-6, Serial Number: L14-027383. The problem I am having is the pilot light keeps going out. Is it safe to disconnect the cut off switch permanently? I believe the problem is that the garage gets too hot and that causes the cut off switch to turn off pilot. I have tried to contact the company using their contact form - it won't go through. I tried contacting the company through their online chat - after waiting over 30 minutes, I gave up. I tried contacting them on the phone and had to leave a message and have never got a callback. My water heater is still under warranty.

Original review: July 28, 2018

6 years ago, I purchased a RHEEM water heater from Home Depot which lasted only 3 years with only two in the household. June 18, 2015, I purchased an American Standard from a private retailer after researching the best water heater to purchase which also lasted only 3 years. It was a terrible, stressful ordeal with both companies. Rheem and American Standard each sent parts for their 6 year warranty stretching two weeks until I'm stressed to the point of purchasing a new one because none of the parts solved the problem. Apparently this is what these companies count on... the customer getting fed up to the point we choose to buy another water heater for $800 every 3 years in exchange for a hot shower!!!

I am a single parent working part time for LAUSD on summer break with $766 to my name. There goes our summer savings... again. Time to try another company. I'm convinced all are the same... they may last 3 years with if you're lucky. It's like pulling teeth to get them to honor the warranty, and you will not get a replacement without spending a ton of money for a licensed professional in the process, which is why I'm buying another brand. The water heater I had when I moved here lasted approximately 12 years with no problems. Old school. They don't make them like they used to. See you all in 3 years.

Original review: July 26, 2018

American Standard Champion 4 toilet cracks. I waited on hold for over a half hour twice. Never got through to customer service. I have a warranty but it seems it's worthless. I'll never buy American Standard again. They once were reputable but things have changed. The bowl was developing a crack at top after a year. Then today with no warning the tank cracked at the handle and dumped water through the house ruining the ceiling below. What a piece of junk. I had old American Standard toilets in this house and 2 others with no problem. The new product just isn't the same.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I called the customer service number from my faucet installation guide. The guide clearly states that the faucet is warrantied for life inside and out. However, since I no longer had an unreadable 'thermal' receipt from Lowes, I didn't have a warranty. The customer service person said they weren't going to argue about it, even though I had the model number and part number that I needed. How did I get these unless I had the product documentation? I guess that doesn't matter. When I encounter bad customer service from a company that doesn't stand behind their products, I feel obliged to warn other consumers before they do business with them.

Original review: July 16, 2018

To the management of American Standard - Either you don't care about your job or your source of livelihood or you are ignorant. No one picks up the phone at 1800-387-0369. Called the main Mississauga number and spoke with receptionist Collisa. Said the customer service manager is in a meeting and upon asking for a name and email, she did not provide and took my name and number down and said the customer service manager would call me. Am I ever going to buy your product again - NO. Never Again. Feel disgusted using your product. The water level in both my home toilet bowls are very low and foul smell is already started to some. You can't do a thing about it.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I bought this Whirlpool Bathtub from Home Depot on 1 2/31/15. A few months ago the bottom started wobbling. I checked through the side panel and saw that there was wood that had been eaten by termites. I thought that it was wood used in the installation by the contractor. This got me upset because the bathroom is constructed in cement. I removed the bathtub and was shocked to see that the wood was part of the support structure of this fiberglass and plastic bathtub. I called customer service and they were quick to tell me that this was not covered by warranty. I asked about the use of this cheap wood in the construction of this bathtub and was told this was standard. The wood is not visible because it is encased in porous fiberglass that allowed for the entry of the termites. I find it incredible that if the use of wood is necessary at least they would use treated wood. This is very shoddy manufacturing in an expensive product!

Original review: June 4, 2018

When I sit normally on American Standard toilets, my man parts touch the water. This has happened in every motel/hotel/private residence that has an American Standard toilet. The seat is simply too close to the water.

Original review: March 31, 2018

Installed a American Standard heat pump in my house in 4/17. This winter of "18" had numerous calls to installer to fix unit. Unit kept shutting down throwing "codes" and not restarting. Used emergency heat all winter. After 12 visits Tech finally figured out unit had a bad txv valve. Installed new valve (at my cost). Unit finally worked the way it was suppose to. Pump # is 4A6H6036H1000A 3 ton, 16 seer. Will never buy American Standard again. Tech stated he didn't know about txv valve problems.

Original review: March 22, 2018

In August of 2017, my wife and I purchased a new house. We had to do a lot of renovations that were very costly to us. We replaced all of the faucets in her house with American Standard products. In our spare bathroom we had a vanity installed with a new faucet. Two weeks ago, I noticed that the faucet started leaking through the bottom and top of the vanity. The plumber came and found out that it was a faulty faucet. He went back to Lowe's where he purchased the faucet and found it it's been discontinued. I went myself less evening to Lowe's to see if I could get a replacement for this item. The girl was very helpful and told me that American Standard is very good at giving out RMA number so that items can be returned. So she gave me the number to American Standard which I just called this morning.

First off, the woman was not very friendly who answered the helpline. I explained my situation to her and told her that I did not have the receipt nor did the plumber have the original receipt of the item. The woman said that she could not do anything for me because I did not have the receipt. I have four American Standard faucets in my house besides this. I am calling my plumber today and I don't care how much it cost, I'm having him replace everything in my house and I will never ever ever buy an American Standard product in my life. I am very angry that I cannot get any customer service help from these boneheads.

Original review: March 17, 2018

I bought 2 AS Colony Toilets in 2012. They supposedly have a coating on them that makes them easier to clean. Couldn't be further from the truth. They get nasty very quickly, and are getting harder and harder to keep clean. Everything sticks to the finish and grow various colored bugs. Even bleach loaded cleaner won't stop it. That's only the beginning. This morning I found a multi-directional crack in the bottom of the bowl on one of these toilets. I've NEVER had a toilet bowl crack before. It's in the bottom across the throat of the bowl, and one parallel to to the throat. I despair of finding the receipt for these, and I think they have a 5 year warranty, so I'm boned. I also had an AS furnace installed in 2010. It failed a little over 2 years later. Fixed it myself. I'm done with American Standard.

Original review: March 4, 2018

Bought at Lowe's 2 toilets AS Champion 4 in October 2017, and then installed by a professional plumber. One toilet developed a hair crack on the "ring", at about 5 o'clock (looking at the toilet). I never filled the warranty format as I never thought we could have problems with these toilets. Lowes exchanged the toilet with the hair crack, free but I paid new installation. The second toilet ALSO developed a hair crack on almost same location (5 o'clock) -- this is a fabrication problem. I just noticed last night a hair crack also on the front of the tank. I searched the web, AS is having similar complaints all over. I filled the warranty and spoke to AS, I sent pictures via email explaining my problem. Do not buy the Champion 4.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I have a toilet with a warranty issue, that is not the end of the world. What is unacceptable is the frustration of trying to deal with it. I sent a detailed email via their online customer service form in early December. No response so I did it again in late January. So another month without a response and now I'm getting annoyed, so I finally set some time aside to call the 1-800 #, 44 minutes of music and thanking me for my patience does not make me more patient. The clerk was nice enough and is sending me parts, thank you for that. But the point is you pissed me off by how difficult this all was to get ahold of you.

Suggestion: Don't offer up an online customer service form if no one manages it. And any more than 10 minutes on hold will not endear customers to you. Side note: I have an InSinkErator garbage disposal just out of warranty that has a leak. This morning it was 2 minutes on hold to get a helpful voice, another 5 minutes to resolve the issue, and I'm a happy, properly customer-serviced customer for Insinkerator. American Standard Canada take note.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I called American Standard Canada customer service to get a warranty repair on an Ceramix bathroom faucet. The reason for the call was for a water leak in the unit. I was immediately put on hold for 45 minutes. Finally a customer service rep took my call. She was advised of the defects. She then requested that I send her a picture of my faucet. She then assigned me a case number and said she would need to speak to her supervisor before the parts would be sent out. I kinda of felt like of was under interrogation for a crime... Awful customer service. The requested pictures were sent to her that same day. Weeks have gone by and I have not received my repair parts. I have sent them 3 emails and Facebook messages, but they do not respond.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Horrible experience with a toilet from American Standard. Brand new had a flaw that made it leak. We thought it was our installation but found that their QC is lacking. Many many complaints of flaws that make them leak. I won’t buy any more of their products. They need to raise their standards.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

This is ridiculous... I just called them and the VM states their hours around the new year and I had to leave a message! Why can't someone help me without having to call several numbers, send several emails on different websites and then a post on facebook??? Awful customer service!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

American Standard Toliet. Product worked well for one year then tank cracked. Customer Service is the worst I have ever experienced. Despite Great Consumer reports ratings, I would not buy another product from this Company. They simply do not stand behind their products. Not in the same league as Kohler, Delta, or any other major company I have done business with. Very frustrating customer service process. Rude staff. Not worth the aggravation!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

We bought an American Standard water heater in Aug of 2015. It failed on Dec 22, 2017, a little over 2 years later. Water was leaking out and the bottom of the unit was rusted out. Plumber told us that they have had a lot of problems with American Standard and will no longer install them. Our choice was to either pay $600.00 labor charge to install another American Standard unit or $1700.00 to install a Ruud water heater with a 10 year warranty. We decided not to risk any more money on American Standard and bought a new Rudd water heater. We will never again buy an American Standard product.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

l purchased an American Standard cadet toilet in end November from Ferguson plumbing supply in Farmingdale NY. Had a lic plumber install I️t for my 96 yr old grandma. She told me yesterday it has a hairline crack in the bowl and is leaking!? l just started researching this online and found many similar complaints. l guarantee this company’s quality control and materials are sub standard and should be their new company name. I’ll be calling them tomorrow but judging by the poor reviews, Not optimistic! Unreal.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

Bought my American Standard EasyTouch (6310 series) Kitchen faucet about 9 years ago. Under its lifetime warranty I have already had to replace it once. A couple of months ago the cap came off the sprayer hand-set in that replacement, and I called to order a replacement. After several follow up phone calls I was told that the part is back-ordered. I have finally given up and purchased a new Moen faucet. The faucet is unreliable, and the "lifetime warranty" is useless.

American Standard Plumbing expert review by Jonathan Trout

American Standard has been designing and making bathroom and kitchen fixtures for over 140 years. It makes multiple styles of faucets for your kitchen and bathroom sink, as well as shower and tub. Faucet prices range from around $140 to over $700.

• Bathroom faucets: American Standard makes one- and two-handled bathroom faucets. They come in up to five installation types and modern or traditional designs. Bathroom faucets come in brushed nickel, bronze, oil-rubbed bronze, chrome or stainless steel.

• Kitchen faucets: American Standard makes multiple styles of kitchen faucets. Choose from pulldown or pull-out faucets, wall-mounted, deck-mounted, single- or double-handle faucets and more.

• SelectFlo: SelectFlo technology includes four spray patterns to make washing dishes and cleaning up easier in your kitchen sink. You can filter which models have SelectFlo technology when you’re looking at faucets on American Standard's website.

• Selectronic technology: Selectronic hands-free technology is American Standard’s touchless faucet system that allows you to turn water on and off with a wave of your hand. It has a sliding sensor door so you can select a manual mode when needed.

• ADA compliant: American Standard has multiple models and styles of ADA compliant kitchen faucets. These are easy to use for people with limited mobility and dexterity issues.

• Best for: consumers wanting multiple faucet styles and designs to choose from.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout