Find a Home Warranties partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About Amazon Home Warranty

Amazon Home Warranty has three different home warranty plans. You can also select add-ons for less common appliances and systems to round out your coverage. Payment is simple and completed on Amazon Home Warranty’s website. Amazon Home Warranty has no affiliation with Amazon.com.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• Choose your own contractor
    • Reasonable monthly rates
    • Comprehensive combo plan

Cons

• Limited add-on options
    • Coverage caps on some items

Bottom Line

Amazon Home Warranty offers a wide variety of coverage through its combo plan. While some coverage limits vary, it offers reasonable monthly rates and more than enough coverage for the average homeowner.

Top Amazon Home Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have been a satisfied customer for over 2 years now. ... My 3-year-old freezer stopped functioning, but Amazon Home Warranty did exactly as they promised. Their tech came out th...

Verified

Excellent service and great prices! When my fridge broke, I called them up right away and they immediately sprung into action... I would highly recommend and would do business wit...

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Amazon Home Warranty plans

Amazon Home Warranty has been offering coverage to provide homeowners with protection from expensive household repairs for the last decade. It provides policies for customers nationwide and 24/7 customer service. Not sure what kind of coverage you need? Amazon Home Warranty makes it easy by offering three plans:

Appliance Plan
    The Essential Appliance Plan covers majors appliances you can't live without, including:
    • Dishwasher
    • Refrigerator and freezer
    • Washer and dryer
    • Oven and cooktop
    • Trash compactor
    • Microwave
    System Plan
    The System Plan covers the major mechanical systems in your home as well as plumbing and your home’s electrical wiring. Covered components include:
    • Central heating and air conditioning
    • Plumbing
    • Electrical systems
    • Ductwork
    • Water heater
    • Jetted tubs
    • Garage door openers
    Combo Plan
    The combo plan covers everything in the system and appliance plans plus a few bonus items. It covers:
    • Everything covered on the System and Appliance Plans
    • Sprinkler systems
    • Wine coolers
    • Ice makers
    Amazon Home Warranty coverage exclusions
    Like most companies in the home warranty industry, Amazon Home Warranty does not cover any preexisting conditions.

Other exclusions exist on a per-item basis. For example, while Amazon Home Warranty covers kitchen refrigerators, including freezer units, it doesn't cover parts like racks, shelves, glass, lighting, handles, doors, seals, hinges or anything else deemed nonessential to the refrigerator’s core function.

Amazon Home Warranty coverage limits

Amazon’s coverage limit is set at $1,500 per contract item unless otherwise specified. The list below highlights some of the different coverage limits.

ItemAmazon’s coverage limit
    Air conditioning system$2,500
    Ceiling and exhaust fans$500
    Electrical system$500
    Encased ductwork$500
    Plumbing system and stoppage$500
    Water heater$500
    Whirlpool bathtub$500

Optional add-on items offered by Amazon’s Home Warranty may also have different coverage limits.

Amazon Home Warranty cost

The average cost for Amazon Home Warranty is between $30 and $50 per month, which is in line with the industry average. The service call fee, which you pay for each repair, is $75, which is also within the average range for home warranties.

PlanAverage cost
    Essential Appliances Plan$349/year or $29/month
    Major Systems Plan$429/year or $36/month
    Combo Plan$579/year or $48/month

Amazon Home Warranty claims

To request service, you need to submit a claim to Amazon Home Warranty. Claims are simple to submit, and you can file one 24/7.

How to request service from Amazon Home Warranty

1. File a claim and request service by calling Amazon’s 24/7 toll-free number.
    2. Amazon contacts a service contractor within two business days.
    3. The service contractor contacts you to schedule a repair visit.
    4. Pay the service call fee.
    5. Your contractor performs the repair.

Amazon guarantees repairs for 90 days on parts and 30 days on labor. If the work performed fails during this time, you do not have to pay an additional fee to get the item fixed again.

Amazon chooses your service provider from its list of approved repair companies. If you want to use your own contractor, you need preapproval. Amazon Home Warranty will need to see proof of repair before reimbursing you.

Amazon Home Warranty FAQ

Can I choose my own service provider?
    Amazon Home Warranty typically chooses a service provider for your repair from its list of approved contractors. To use an outside contractor, you need to call Amazon Home Warranty for preauthorization before beginning the repair.
    Is there a cancellation fee for Amazon Home Warranty?
    Yes. A $30 cancellation fee may apply if you cancel your contract.
    Does Amazon Home Warranty require a home inspection?
    No, you can sign up for an Amazon Home Warranty plan without a home inspection.
    Can I get a full refund when I cancel my plan with Amazon Home Warranty?
    Amazon Home Warranty has a 30-day grace period after sign-up. During this period, you can cancel your plan and receive a full refund.
    How long is Amazon Home Warranty’s service work guarantee?
    Amazon Home Warranty’s plans have a 30-day service work guarantee, meaning if a technician repairs an appliance and it breaks down within 30 days, there is no second service fee.
    What is Amazon Home Warranty’s service fee for home warranties?
    The standard service fee is $75.
    Is Amazon Home Warranty owned by Amazon.com?
    No. Amazon Home Warranty is not affiliated in any way with Amazon.com.

Is Amazon Home Warranty worth it?

If you are looking for a simple, straightforward choice for a home warranty, Amazon Home Warranty makes it easy to decide on a plan. Its Combo Plan offers comprehensive coverage that’s on par with top home warranty providers. It provides reasonable monthly rates in line with the industry average and some flexibility in service providers. Amazon Home Warranty provides value for the cost, making it a good option for homeowners looking for home protection plans.

Amazon Home Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amazon Home Warranty?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

Their customer service is awesome. But you need to be more clear on your coverages. For example the past control could have read 1 time in a calendar year. Instead of verbiage that's unclear. They are very helpful.

Original review: July 15, 2021

Pls don’t do business with them. They will take your money and will not deliver. Extremely bad customer service. I have been trying to make a claim since February this year and to this date I have not been successful. They have no affiliation with AMAZON. Pls run run run.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 14, 2021

I have rental property, which is my neighbor. Their AC was not cooling. They had a baby in the hottest of weather in Texas. I gave Amazon a call to make a claim. It took 3 days for anyone to show up. The tech acted like he didn't want to be here, he put in Freon, worked for that afternoon and the next morning the AC was not cooling at all. Placed a call to Amazon again, they said the guy fixed it and I explained that it worked that afternoon and had stopped cooling during the night and by the next morning it was 82 degrees and rising in the home. I asked not to send out the same guy, now this was after it took me forever to talk with someone, was on hold almost an hour. They said I had to prove it wasn't working, and I told the girl the proof was the temperature in the home. I couldn't keep this up and my warranty was going to be up in July and this was June.

This was the first time I had made a claim. So I called a service man with an AC company and he was out here the same afternoon, worked on it for about an hour and it works beautifully now. I paid out of my pocket. I called 7/13 to cancel my warranty, the manager ask why I was not renewing and I told her my story. She was very apologetic and said she would reimburse me what I had paid. She asked for copy of receipt of the repair, I sent it on my phone, she approved it and said I would be getting a check. I told her I still was cancelling my warranty service, and then she said, "Well we can't reimburse you if you aren't going to sign a new contract." I told her to keep the money, it wasn't worth my time and energy. That's my horror story with Amazon Home Warranty. I really can't give even a 1 star.... DO NOT BUY THE AMAZON HOME WARRANTY. A TOTAL RIP OFF.

Original review: July 13, 2021

For our situation, they were not able to provide local service providers, something they DON'T tell you when you sign on. Local contractors told us they don't do business with AHS because they're terrible, won't answer calls and are horrible with getting approvals for repairs. Since no local contractors available, they said we had to choose our own contractor BUT would not approve their fair and competitive repair quotes and forced us to take a much smaller "approved" rate.

They wouldn't tell us how they calc'd their approved rates but said basically take it or leave it. They also told our contractor they DO NOT REPLACE anything, will only repair or offer negotiated repair amounts, which negates their contract stating they will REPLACE and/or repair. I am currently sitting on hold for 2 hours and 55 minutes and still holding! Emails get rejected "mailbox is full". Absolutely HORRIBLE warranty company! Check out more reputable warranty companies, they may cost more BUT you get what you pay for. We will go with First American Home Warranty as we had them before for many years and had no problems whatsoever.

Original review: July 12, 2021

Had an AC unit that was malfunctioning to the point of melting wires and they refused to reimburse me any money whatsoever! Would not even allow a repair man to come out and look at it! This company totally scammed me!

Original review: July 9, 2021

Do not have anything to do with Amazon Home Warranty. Service is nonexistent; have been put on hold repeatedly for hours (!!). The one time we filed a claim, they recommended someone who said that he does NOT deal with them because they are horrible (this is from someone THEY recommended). The second person would not even come out to look at the issue until the following week and so, we wound up replacing the heater at our cost rather than freeze. Later on, sold the house and wanted to cancel the warranty. As soon as they hear that, they put you on hold... so far, 5 different reps have done that today for some two hours now. RUN, do not sign up with Amazon Home Warranty.

Original review: June 30, 2021

I signed up with this company in August 2020. The same day, I learned this was a poor choice and sought to fix my error. I sent a request to cancel, but never heard back. I signed up with another company and forgot. That's my fault. Almost a year later, I filed a claim via Amazon Home Warranty by mistake. I even called later to ask a question. When I called to ask a question, the representative filed another claim. Shortly thereafter, I learned I was calling the wrong company. Right after that, I found evidence of my request to cancel in 2020.

I called AHW to try and cancel and was left on hold for A WHOPPING 40 MINUTES!!! I called back and was able to reach someone. I thought things were going to get better. I was wrong. The person I talked to said that my attempt to file a claim nullified my prior attempt to cancel. If they had cancelled the plan as I requested, I wouldn't have been able to file a claim (in error). The representative was nasty, unruly, and made no attempt to treat me like a customer. This is a terrible company that engages in unjust enrichment. In other words, they seek to get ahead at the expense of the customer. It was companies like this that led to the establishment of ERISA.

Original review: June 30, 2021

On Saturday, June 12, 2021, our air conditioning stopped working. We have paid for a home warranty plan with Amazon Home Warranty. My husband contacted the company through their phone number listed and spoke with a representative, who assisted him in opening a claim that same day. He was told that we would be contacted within 48 hours. Our contract with the company states the following under Section III Requesting Service, item B: "Upon request for service under normal circumstances, We will contact a Service Contractor within forty-eight (48) after You request service..." Our contract only says 48, not hours or business hours. Over the phone, he was told 48 hours.

On June 14, 48 hours after we requested service, my husband called back because we had not been contacted. The representative then told him it was "business hours". On June 16, 96 hours/3 business days after requesting service, my husband called back because we had not been contacted and had been without AC for 5 days with temperatures in the upper 90s. The representative then told him that they hadn't been able to find a contractor and told him they were authorizing us to find our own AC contractor and submit an invoice receipt by email for reimbursement. A licensed technician from Fahnestock HVAC Heating & Air came to our home and serviced our AC on June 17. He determined the issue was a failed capacitor. The technician ran tests of our unit, and determined it was in great condition.

My husband called AHW for them to speak to the AC technician for him to explain the issue and resolution, but was placed on hold by the company for 35 minutes. The technician was unable to wait any longer due to other service calls and had to leave. He wrote the invoice for the replaced capacitor and the labor cost, which came to $280, which my husband paid. My husband emailed the invoice receipt paid to authorizations@amazonhomewarranty.com on the morning of June 17 right after the service call was completed.

On June 23, 4 business days after providing the receipt, we had not received any response from AHW, so my husband called again. He was told verbally that they had denied our claim because it was caused by inadequate maintenance of our unit. My husband told them there was no documentation supporting this denial, as capacitors frequently fail and must be replaced and our unit was now running fine. He requested to speak to a manager about disputing our denial, and was told a manager would call him within 72 hours.

Today, June 30, a full week after requesting a call from a manager, my husband called again, and was told it was "72 business hours", which meant if there are 8 business hours in a day and 5 days in a week, it has only been 40 "business hours". This company is in breach of our contract, which clearly states that we will be contacted within 48 (hours) of requesting service. They did not meet the terms of our contract. And they have fraudulently invented a reason why they have denied our authorized service, and continue to deny our request to speak with management to dispute their breach of contract and denial of payment. This is clearly fraudulent business practice and this company is guilty of breach of contract and falsely advertising their service, misleading consumers, and should be avoided at all costs.

Original review: June 30, 2021

I am the current so called customer. I had 2 claims and both rejected. Do you know if they need to break the walls to get access to your pipe, after they (may) fixing pipe AHS does not fix the walls and you have to do it by your own cost! Pool pump broken and they rejected as it is pool feature and not the main pump! But there was no option to chose it when you buy the shield from them. It took 2 week to hear the final decision. They basically look for any excuse to reject the coverage. I will cancel my contract.

Original review: June 28, 2021

Cheaper is not always better; as the old adage goes you get what you pay for. The worst customer service I've ever worked with as they talk in circles and so do their repairmen and women. THEY WILL NOT COVER ANYTHING. I regret of paying for 1 year for two apartment units. Contacting claims will leave you baffled and confused as they feed you technical reasons as to why they don't repair anything and they will not update you on what's going on with existing claims. Oh, and I hope you enjoy spending quiet time on the phone. This company is a scam and they could care less what anybody thinks of them.

Original review: June 25, 2021

I am writing this review after cancelling my service few minutes ago. I don't think this company does the honest business. I bought home warranty service on May 18th, normally the the service starts after one month of date you bought the service so my service start date was June 18th. I submitted two claims on June 21st - one related to outdoor spigot leak and the other was for sprinkler system valve leak. Both of these claims were denied by AHWS saying that these are pre-existing conditions and not covered by the policy, which doesn't make sense to me because I had opened the sprinkler system same day and it started leaking, also they started my policy on June 18th whereas I started paying them from May 18th, so they waited one month to start the policy to get all the pre-existing issues off their plate then why denying the service for the issue which came after the one month waiting period.

Anyway I asked them that I am not happy with this so please cancel my service and issue me prorated refund. They denied that also. Based on my experience, here are some of the points I think people should know before continuing with them:

1) They are in the market to get money from consumers but not ready to offer services.
      2) They will offer huge discounts to get you onboard, don't fall for it.
      3) They use Amazon's name to attract consumers but in reality they have nothing to do with THE AMAZON.
      4) Never buy 6 month policy, you will NOT get your money back if you want to cancel.

5) Once you open a claim, they take 3 days to just call you, so good luck if you have their warranty and your indoor plumbing started leaking, fyi (my claim opening date was 06/21 and I got call on 06/25 saying they can't service).

Take a Home Warranty Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Amazon Home Warranty Company Information