1.0/5 (41 ratings)
Availability
Most states

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

About AHW Home Warranty

AHW Home Warranty, formerly Amazon Home Warranty, has three different home warranty plans. You can also select add-ons for less common appliances and systems to round out your coverage. Payment is simple and completed on Amazon Home Warranty’s website. AHW Home Warranty has no affiliation with Amazon.com.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans near you

Pros

• Choose your own contractor
    • Reasonable monthly rates
    • Comprehensive combo plan

Cons

• Limited add-on options
    • Coverage caps on some items

Bottom Line

Amazon Home Warranty offers a wide variety of coverage through its combo plan. While some coverage limits vary, it offers reasonable monthly rates and more than enough coverage for the average homeowner.

Top AHW Home Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AHW Home Warranty?

Verified

I have been a satisfied customer for over 2 years now. ... My 3-year-old freezer stopped functioning, but Amazon Home Warranty did exactly as they promised. Their tech came out th...

Verified

Excellent service and great prices! When my fridge broke, I called them up right away and they immediately sprung into action... I would highly recommend and would do business wit...

Amazon Home Warranty plans

Amazon Home Warranty has been offering coverage to provide homeowners with protection from expensive household repairs for the last decade. It provides policies for customers nationwide and 24/7 customer service. Not sure what kind of coverage you need? Amazon Home Warranty makes it easy by offering three plans:

Appliance Plan
    The Essential Appliance Plan covers majors appliances you can't live without, including:
    • Dishwasher
    • Refrigerator and freezer
    • Washer and dryer
    • Oven and cooktop
    • Trash compactor
    • Microwave
    System Plan
    The System Plan covers the major mechanical systems in your home as well as plumbing and your home’s electrical wiring. Covered components include:
    • Central heating and air conditioning
    • Plumbing
    • Electrical systems
    • Ductwork
    • Water heater
    • Jetted tubs
    • Garage door openers
    Combo Plan
    The combo plan covers everything in the system and appliance plans plus a few bonus items. It covers:
    • Everything covered on the System and Appliance Plans
    • Sprinkler systems
    • Wine coolers
    • Ice makers
    Amazon Home Warranty coverage exclusions
    Like most companies in the home warranty industry, Amazon Home Warranty does not cover any preexisting conditions.

Other exclusions exist on a per-item basis. For example, while Amazon Home Warranty covers kitchen refrigerators, including freezer units, it doesn't cover parts like racks, shelves, glass, lighting, handles, doors, seals, hinges or anything else deemed nonessential to the refrigerator’s core function.

Amazon Home Warranty coverage limits

Amazon’s coverage limit is set at $1,500 per contract item unless otherwise specified. The list below highlights some of the different coverage limits.

ItemAmazon’s coverage limit
    Air conditioning system$2,500
    Ceiling and exhaust fans$500
    Electrical system$500
    Encased ductwork$500
    Plumbing system and stoppage$500
    Water heater$500
    Whirlpool bathtub$500

Optional add-on items offered by Amazon’s Home Warranty may also have different coverage limits.

Amazon Home Warranty cost

The average cost for Amazon Home Warranty is between $30 and $50 per month, which is in line with the industry average. The service call fee, which you pay for each repair, is $75, which is also within the average range for home warranties.

PlanAverage cost
    Essential Appliances Plan$349/year or $29/month
    Major Systems Plan$429/year or $36/month
    Combo Plan$579/year or $48/month

Amazon Home Warranty claims

To request service, you need to submit a claim to Amazon Home Warranty. Claims are simple to submit, and you can file one 24/7.

How to request service from Amazon Home Warranty

1. File a claim and request service by calling Amazon’s 24/7 toll-free number.
    2. Amazon contacts a service contractor within two business days.
    3. The service contractor contacts you to schedule a repair visit.
    4. Pay the service call fee.
    5. Your contractor performs the repair.

Amazon guarantees repairs for 90 days on parts and 30 days on labor. If the work performed fails during this time, you do not have to pay an additional fee to get the item fixed again.

Amazon chooses your service provider from its list of approved repair companies. If you want to use your own contractor, you need preapproval. Amazon Home Warranty will need to see proof of repair before reimbursing you.

Amazon Home Warranty FAQ

Can I choose my own service provider?

Amazon Home Warranty typically chooses a service provider for your repair from its list of approved contractors. To use an outside contractor, you need to call Amazon Home Warranty for preauthorization before beginning the repair.

Is there a cancellation fee for Amazon Home Warranty?

Yes. A $30 cancellation fee may apply if you cancel your contract.

Does Amazon Home Warranty require a home inspection?

No, you can sign up for an Amazon Home Warranty plan without a home inspection.

Can I get a full refund when I cancel my plan with Amazon Home Warranty?

Amazon Home Warranty has a 30-day grace period after sign-up. During this period, you can cancel your plan and receive a full refund.

How long is Amazon Home Warranty’s service work guarantee?

Amazon Home Warranty’s plans have a 30-day service work guarantee, meaning if a technician repairs an appliance and it breaks down within 30 days, there is no second service fee.

What is Amazon Home Warranty’s service fee for home warranties?

The standard service fee is $75.

Is Amazon Home Warranty owned by Amazon.com?

No. Amazon Home Warranty is not affiliated in any way with Amazon.com.

Is Amazon Home Warranty worth it?

If you are looking for a simple, straightforward choice for a home warranty, Amazon Home Warranty makes it easy to decide on a plan. Its Combo Plan offers comprehensive coverage that’s on par with top home warranty providers. It provides reasonable monthly rates in line with the industry average and some flexibility in service providers. Amazon Home Warranty provides value for the cost, making it a good option for homeowners looking for home protection plans.

AHW Home Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AHW Home Warranty?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

I would highly recommend not to purchase Amazon home warranty. They will not honor a claim and lie. They made me wait with a leaky roof and when I was able to get somebody out there finally they refused to pay.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

This company is a total scam. They do not pay claims. Each rep will tell you something different and nothing is honored. In their contracts no where do they say they won't pay for freon, their ads say there is NO CAP on freon. But then, they use a small word buried at the end of the contract to deny it. They make you get your own techs because they say they don't have one available. They make that tech jump through all kinds of hoops, make you pay with the promise of reimbursement. Then two months later, after many phone calls and emails they will tell you the claim is denied. They are a horrible company to deal with. Do not give them your money.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2022

I had nothing but poor service, unqualified repairmen, and an attitude from them when I complained that they didn’t care. Repairmen they contacted were always from out of town and it was like pulling teeth to get a quick appointment. Twice, I not only paid the $75 service fee, but the repairmen couldn’t fix the problem. One was a dishwasher and one was a garbage disposal. They sent money to replace the dishwasher, but the amount they sent would only buy the bottom line of dishwasher, not comparable to the one we had, and didn’t cover the cost of hiring a plumber to install it.

The garbage disposal guy made 3 appointments, but never showed up. Instead, he had me take pictures of it so he could see the model number. He then informed me that my disposal was discontinued and would have to be replaced. Again, they replaced it, after deducting the $75 service fee, and again, it cost me additional money to have someone install it. My oven broke. They sent a man to “fix” it. While fixing it, he broke the hinge on the door and said he would order me a new door. Without being able to close the door, the oven wouldn’t work so we had to duct tape it closed to use it. A week later it was broken again, doing the same thing that was supposed to be repaired. I called numerous times to find out about the door and the repair to no avail.

Finally, they sent a second repairman to fix the oven but refused to fix the door because, per contract, the door wasn’t covered. But the door wasn’t broken until your man broke it! They didn’t care and refused to fix it. So I cancelled my service with them. No apology. No “sorry to see you go”. No nothing. A month later they drafted my account again for the monthly payment, and after numerous requests, refuse to refund it. I finally got my bank to reverse the charge claiming fraud. So in the 3 years we had our home warranty with them, we had 3 claims, none of which were “repaired”. We paid service fees on all 3, yet had to pay additional monies to have third-party installers install the bottom-of-the-line replacements they paid for on 2 of the claims, and are left with an oven that doesn’t work, with a broken door their repairmen broke but refuse to fix, on the third.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2022

My home warranty company AHW recommended Leslie ** with Dominion Comfort Solutions LLC to inspect my heat pump. Mr. ** ignited fear and questioned my faith. He told me that there was an electrical fire in my crawl space which caused my heat pump to stop working. I am in no way knowledgeable of heat pumps and electrical fires therefore I believed him and trusted that my home warranty company Amazon Home Warranty certifies that the companies they send are legitimate.

It appears Dominion is not licensed to work in the state of Virginia. He played on my emotions instilling fear that my home was possibly going to catch fire. He caused damage to my unit forcing me to now have to replace my unit. He called and continued to send text messages asking for money to give to him so that he could get the supplies needed to replace my unit to prevent my pipes from also bursting due to the cold weather. He wanted me to give him my settlement money from my car accident to get my heat pump. Please do not allow him to come to your home and do this to you!!! RUN. And if you are a client of AHW please do not allow this happen to you. They provided no assistance and the money you pay them monthly you can set aside in a savings account to assist you in the event of an emergency.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2022

If I could leave 0 stars I would've because this company does not deserve 1 star. The worst possible warranty company.

1. It does not cover anything. If you think that they would replace your HVAC or any appliance if parts are not available, you are WRONG. In their contract it says that they would give you money equal to the parts and labor to repair and you will not be able to get a new appliance for maybe $400 you will get.

2. They will make you find your own plumber or electrician because they cannot locate the technicians. Or if technician comes to your house to diagnose, he will most likely would not come again because this company does not pay the subs for their work. I was told by Contractor that I have to pay myself because they were not paid for 20 jobs that they finished for this company.

3. Usually, you will be without your dishwasher or washer or leaking plumbing for several months because of the issues above.

4. It was the most expensive Warranty company I ever had -$1200/year with $75 deductible and it is BY FAR the worst one. I signed 3-year contract and it was a bad mistake. First, I thought that it is COVID. But COVID has nothing to do with it....It is the company.

I can go forever talking about the issues. By the way their sales rep on the phone told me that they do not have any limits for coverage like some companies do for appliances - it is because they would not replace any! Do yourself a favor - NEVER use this company. It should go out of business! Companies like this create a bad name for capitalism.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

I purchased a Home in October. I was looking for Peace of mind and since I bought a Home and not sure of the condition or durability of the existing appliances I Bought a AHW Policy Oct 30th, 2022. On Sunday Dec 4th, my Microwave broke so I called them and submitted a claim. They called me the next day to tell me that they cancelled my Appt because they determined that my Microwave broke due to a pre-existing condition. (How would they know that, if they never came to assess it).

I was so upset that they already started using bottom of the barrel Warranty Company tactics to not take care of the repair. I cancelled my policy immediately after I spoke they refused to send a Tech to review or Repair the Microwave. I should've researched further to realize that I was not dealing with an honest company. When I called the number listed on the Contract, the number was no longer in service. That was the 1st sign. They kept the inflated monthly fee and denied the claim. They should be checked by the appropriate governing agencies.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2022

They take your money, tell you you have a valid claim and a valid contract but deny the claim (my AC is not working). So much cross-talk, I don’t know what to explain here, but bottom line, they won't fix my AC because of the stupid technician they sent out. I hate being a sucker and you will too. It’s a scam.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

I had an AC breakdown. The technician came and said it was the blower motor and gave me the impression the AHW was going to replace it. He never gave me a price estimate. He just went ahead and replaced it. Then after the fact, he told me that AHW was not going to cover it and it would be $300. But before that, he told me that the coils needed cleaning so I said go ahead. Then, after he did the work for which I had to pay everything out of pocket, he did something to the unit so that the thermostat doesn't work. He tried but could not fix it. He said AHW would send someone else. Guess what? They refused to fix it. Please, do not use this warranty program. I predict they will be going out of business soon.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

For unknown reasons, I got convinced by the Amazon Home Warranty salesman who convinced me to buy 3 years of home appliance warranty coverage for the fee of $1300. When I started having problem with any of my home appliance then I found out I have lost almost all my money and I was better off without this warranty.

After filing claim and payment of $60 of service charge, the technicians they kept sending for repair were hardly had any knowledge of appliance. They were only interested in getting the service charge, telling me something which was hard to believe, trying to pay them some advance, will not respond after they are gone and sometimes scary kind of people. Not sure where AHW finds them. After service call I had to call AHW again and after few days they may assign another tech. Then they will try to tell me the problem and part is not covered under warranty. One of their manager who called herself problem resolution manager advised me not to call till appliance totally stops working. I can go on and on. In short please dont waste your money with AHW.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2022

Place a claim related to my air condition/heater system. Talked to them several times, finally a guy named Christian told me last week that the parts were approved. Today I received call that the claim was denied. Talk to the Department of Retention and I was offered an extension of 1 month to stay with the company. I requested my money back as this company cannot be trusted. Hate this kind of company. Never, Never buy a policy with this weird company. Trust me they are the worst company ever.

Take a Home Warranty Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

AHW Home Warranty Company Information

Formerly Named:
        Amazon Home Warranty
        ahwp.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: