1.0/5 (44 ratings)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

About AHW Home Warranty

AHW Home Warranty, formerly Amazon Home Warranty, has three different home warranty plans. You can also select add-ons for less common appliances and systems to round out your coverage. Payment is simple and completed on Amazon Home Warranty’s website. AHW Home Warranty has no affiliation with Amazon.com.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• Choose your own contractor
    • Reasonable monthly rates
    • Comprehensive combo plan

Cons

• Limited add-on options
    • Coverage caps on some items

Bottom Line

Amazon Home Warranty offers a wide variety of coverage through its combo plan. While some coverage limits vary, it offers reasonable monthly rates and more than enough coverage for the average homeowner.

Top AHW Home Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have been a satisfied customer for over 2 years now. ... My 3-year-old freezer stopped functioning, but Amazon Home Warranty did exactly as they promised. Their tech came out th...

Verified

Excellent service and great prices! When my fridge broke, I called them up right away and they immediately sprung into action... I would highly recommend and would do business wit...

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

Amazon Home Warranty plans

Amazon Home Warranty has been offering coverage to provide homeowners with protection from expensive household repairs for the last decade. It provides policies for customers nationwide and 24/7 customer service. Not sure what kind of coverage you need? Amazon Home Warranty makes it easy by offering three plans:

Appliance Plan
    The Essential Appliance Plan covers majors appliances you can't live without, including:
    • Dishwasher
    • Refrigerator and freezer
    • Washer and dryer
    • Oven and cooktop
    • Trash compactor
    • Microwave
    System Plan
    The System Plan covers the major mechanical systems in your home as well as plumbing and your home’s electrical wiring. Covered components include:
    • Central heating and air conditioning
    • Plumbing
    • Electrical systems
    • Ductwork
    • Water heater
    • Jetted tubs
    • Garage door openers
    Combo Plan
    The combo plan covers everything in the system and appliance plans plus a few bonus items. It covers:
    • Everything covered on the System and Appliance Plans
    • Sprinkler systems
    • Wine coolers
    • Ice makers
    Amazon Home Warranty coverage exclusions
    Like most companies in the home warranty industry, Amazon Home Warranty does not cover any preexisting conditions.

Other exclusions exist on a per-item basis. For example, while Amazon Home Warranty covers kitchen refrigerators, including freezer units, it doesn't cover parts like racks, shelves, glass, lighting, handles, doors, seals, hinges or anything else deemed nonessential to the refrigerator’s core function.

Amazon Home Warranty coverage limits

Amazon’s coverage limit is set at $1,500 per contract item unless otherwise specified. The list below highlights some of the different coverage limits.

ItemAmazon’s coverage limit
    Air conditioning system$2,500
    Ceiling and exhaust fans$500
    Electrical system$500
    Encased ductwork$500
    Plumbing system and stoppage$500
    Water heater$500
    Whirlpool bathtub$500

Optional add-on items offered by Amazon’s Home Warranty may also have different coverage limits.

Amazon Home Warranty cost

The average cost for Amazon Home Warranty is between $30 and $50 per month, which is in line with the industry average. The service call fee, which you pay for each repair, is $75, which is also within the average range for home warranties.

PlanAverage cost
    Essential Appliances Plan$349/year or $29/month
    Major Systems Plan$429/year or $36/month
    Combo Plan$579/year or $48/month

Amazon Home Warranty claims

To request service, you need to submit a claim to Amazon Home Warranty. Claims are simple to submit, and you can file one 24/7.

How to request service from Amazon Home Warranty

1. File a claim and request service by calling Amazon’s 24/7 toll-free number.
    2. Amazon contacts a service contractor within two business days.
    3. The service contractor contacts you to schedule a repair visit.
    4. Pay the service call fee.
    5. Your contractor performs the repair.

Amazon guarantees repairs for 90 days on parts and 30 days on labor. If the work performed fails during this time, you do not have to pay an additional fee to get the item fixed again.

Amazon chooses your service provider from its list of approved repair companies. If you want to use your own contractor, you need preapproval. Amazon Home Warranty will need to see proof of repair before reimbursing you.

Amazon Home Warranty FAQ

Can I choose my own service provider?

Amazon Home Warranty typically chooses a service provider for your repair from its list of approved contractors. To use an outside contractor, you need to call Amazon Home Warranty for preauthorization before beginning the repair.

Is there a cancellation fee for Amazon Home Warranty?

Yes. A $30 cancellation fee may apply if you cancel your contract.

Does Amazon Home Warranty require a home inspection?

No, you can sign up for an Amazon Home Warranty plan without a home inspection.

Can I get a full refund when I cancel my plan with Amazon Home Warranty?

Amazon Home Warranty has a 30-day grace period after sign-up. During this period, you can cancel your plan and receive a full refund.

How long is Amazon Home Warranty’s service work guarantee?

Amazon Home Warranty’s plans have a 30-day service work guarantee, meaning if a technician repairs an appliance and it breaks down within 30 days, there is no second service fee.

What is Amazon Home Warranty’s service fee for home warranties?

The standard service fee is $75.

Is Amazon Home Warranty owned by Amazon.com?

No. Amazon Home Warranty is not affiliated in any way with Amazon.com.

Is Amazon Home Warranty worth it?

If you are looking for a simple, straightforward choice for a home warranty, Amazon Home Warranty makes it easy to decide on a plan. Its Combo Plan offers comprehensive coverage that’s on par with top home warranty providers. It provides reasonable monthly rates in line with the industry average and some flexibility in service providers. Amazon Home Warranty provides value for the cost, making it a good option for homeowners looking for home protection plans.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AHW Home Warranty?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

I can say, without any reservation, out of every company I've dealt with in my lifetime, I've had the worst experience with AHW. CS reps are unresponsive, give conflicting information, don't call back when promised but will call with unnecessary information without reading customer notes. For example, I was told on 8/5 by Julie that I would get a call from a supervisor - no supervisor ever called. I was called on 8/8 by Louisa to ask when I would like to set up a tech visit; the tech had already been and gone by that point. I was called on 8/9 by Nishad to tell me that my claim was not covered, but he was looking at the wrong claim - it was from last year. He told me after he put me on a long hold. Throughout this time, my AC is broken and my house is 90F - AHW representatives waste days and obviously not progressing my claim. Finally, after weeks of back and forth, I am told that my claim is not covered because the compressor was subject to 'short to ground'.

The HVAC company that came out to try and fix the unit told me that electrical components often fail this way which is why, I presume, AHW added it to the contract so that they don't have to pay anything. In short, AWH have made me spend additional days in a 90F house while they miscommunicate and mishandle the information, only to be told that they have excluded a common fault in the contract. After a month of back and forth, I am left with a $6000 replacement cost that AHW have managed to wriggle out of. Absolutely, atrocious - PLEASE AVOID THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

I filed a claim to have my ceiling fan fixed. I was informed that they had no one to service a ceiling fan in my area. They suggested I could find someone of my own choosing, then have the contractor to write up a proposal to get it repaired/replaced and they would reimburse me. Why should I do the work for them???? I immediately cancelled my contract with them and then they charged me a $30 cancellation fee for a service. They were supposed to cover and could not provide. WHAT A SCAM!

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

This is a scam company. They should be out of business by this time. They rip off the innocent people by selling their policy and not covering anything. And on top of that they throw too many excuses and are just a waste of money and time. Also they sell the policy they claim that they are affiliated with **. Be aware before buying services like this. My fridge was covered by the policy, but now they're claiming that it is a maintenance issue they don't cover. They didn't even have the technician to send over.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

First of all, AHW are nothing but liars. When I took out the warranty they told me they were affiliated with the actual Amazon we are all familiar with. They are NOT! They never send a repair technician. They tell me they cannot find anyone so they offer to reimburse me. The problem is they never reimburse me. They currently owe me for over $3000 over the past 2 years. I had to resort to suing them and they failed to respond to the court, so now I need to contact the licensing dept in the state to have their certificate pulled as they refuse to do anything and refuse to respond to the court.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

Myrtle Beach, SC! A Friday night in May at 9 p.m. I called to report my AC went out. I was given a contract number. I called back on Saturday and Sunday and got a recording..closed, open Monday. I called on a Monday and was told verbally to replace it and fill out pre-authorization form and submit with photos. The contractor did that and emailed form and photos of old unit. Several weeks passed and I called to ask why I had not gotten my payment. I was told they had not been uploaded in system. “Please send again!” Sent again, same response..did not get them!

I was asked to send again. This time I went to FED EX and emailed photos and form again. Month gone by, called and was told they needed a picture of the coil. Really? I have a letter apologizing in the delay and now you want a picture of the coil? “After two months, you think I still have it setting in the yard? I have asked and given two responses of Corporate Office. One in Columbus, Ohio, and then told New Jersey. My thought is AHW is a legal scam company. Attorney is going over contract and all correspondence I have had with AHW today, 8/22/2022.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2022

AHW (https://ahwp.com/) Amazon Home Warranty is worth the company to buy your home warranty. They are a total waste of your time and money. My microwave broke 3 weeks ago and they assigned a technician 4 days after placing the claim. When the technical come he diagnosed that the "Magnitorn" of my microwave was damaged. But the AHW did not believe it and sent another technician who said the same. Now Amazon called me back and say this issue is not covered by their policy and they cannot show me and documentation. Save yourself the headache and go with another provider.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

This service is horrible. I paid more than $1400 for a 3 year plan. I placed a request for my refrigerator and a bathroom exhaust fan. both of which fell into disrepair on the same day. A technician promptly responded, collected my money and has now disappeared. AHW contacted me today to advise me of this 8/18/2022. My repair request was made 7/22/2022. Now, AHW is reporting that they have no technicians available in my area....Dundalk ,Md....where Amazon has a major facility, where the National Anthem was written....etc. This service is a huge disappointment. I requested a refund and they are giving me a partial refund. I plan to file a complaint with my State Attorney General, BBB, and I have identified the technician and filed a criminal complaint for theft through service.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

Amazon Home Warranty is a total waste of your time and money. To start they have very limited hours. Can’t file a claim on the weekend or after 5pm. Customer service is lacking in every aspect of customer service. Takes days from filing a claim to getting a contractor assigned. Then days to get approval. Then to find out they don’t cover most things. Waited days to find out my issue was covered. Save yourself the headache and go with another provider. You will thank me.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

I spent most of the day trying to reach someone for service. No one ever answered the phone. I eventually tried to call and cancel my contract because of not being able to speak with anyone and once again left on hold for more than an hour.

Original review: July 11, 2022

I will never use AHW again. Every time I call to open a claim, there are "surprises." I live in a rural area and it is difficult for Home Warranty companies to get contractors to come out in this area so I asked BEFORE I purchased AHW what the process entailed and they said just get preapproval and then call your own contractor. They NEVER mentioned that there would be a reduction in the reimbursement even after they spoke with the contractor and he quoted them the cost of the repairs. I also specifically asked for septic coverage when I spoke with the sales rep and he did not include septic coverage on my contract.

Take a Home Warranty Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

AHW Home Warranty Company Information