Find a Home Warranties partner

Help me decide
  2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties
AHW Home Warranty

Amazon Home Warranty (Now AHW Home Warranty)

1.4/5 (90 ratings)
Find a Home Warranties partner

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About Amazon Home Warranty (Now AHW Home Warranty)

AHW Home Warranty, formerly Amazon Home Warranty, has three different home warranty plans. You can also select add-ons for less common appliances and systems to round out your coverage. Payment is simple and completed on Amazon Home Warranty’s website. AHW Home Warranty has no affiliation with Amazon.com.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• Choose your own contractor
    • Reasonable monthly rates
    • Comprehensive combo plan

Cons

• Limited add-on options
    • Coverage caps on some items

Bottom Line

Amazon Home Warranty offers a wide variety of coverage through its combo plan. While some coverage limits vary, it offers reasonable monthly rates and more than enough coverage for the average homeowner.

Top AHW Home Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have been a satisfied customer for over 2 years now. ... My 3-year-old freezer stopped functioning, but Amazon Home Warranty did exactly as they promised. Their tech came out th...

Verified

Excellent service and great prices! When my fridge broke, I called them up right away and they immediately sprung into action... I would highly recommend and would do business wit...

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Amazon Home Warranty plans

Amazon Home Warranty has been offering coverage to provide homeowners with protection from expensive household repairs for the last decade. It provides policies for customers nationwide and 24/7 customer service. Not sure what kind of coverage you need? Amazon Home Warranty makes it easy by offering three plans:

Appliance Plan
    The Essential Appliance Plan covers majors appliances you can't live without, including:
    • Dishwasher
    • Refrigerator and freezer
    • Washer and dryer
    • Oven and cooktop
    • Trash compactor
    • Microwave
    System Plan
    The System Plan covers the major mechanical systems in your home as well as plumbing and your home’s electrical wiring. Covered components include:
    • Central heating and air conditioning
    • Plumbing
    • Electrical systems
    • Ductwork
    • Water heater
    • Jetted tubs
    • Garage door openers
    Combo Plan
    The combo plan covers everything in the system and appliance plans plus a few bonus items. It covers:
    • Everything covered on the System and Appliance Plans
    • Sprinkler systems
    • Wine coolers
    • Ice makers
    Amazon Home Warranty coverage exclusions
    Like most companies in the home warranty industry, Amazon Home Warranty does not cover any preexisting conditions.

Other exclusions exist on a per-item basis. For example, while Amazon Home Warranty covers kitchen refrigerators, including freezer units, it doesn't cover parts like racks, shelves, glass, lighting, handles, doors, seals, hinges or anything else deemed nonessential to the refrigerator’s core function.

Amazon Home Warranty coverage limits

Amazon’s coverage limit is set at $1,500 per contract item unless otherwise specified. The list below highlights some of the different coverage limits.

ItemAmazon’s coverage limit
    Air conditioning system$2,500
    Ceiling and exhaust fans$500
    Electrical system$500
    Encased ductwork$500
    Plumbing system and stoppage$500
    Water heater$500
    Whirlpool bathtub$500

Optional add-on items offered by Amazon’s Home Warranty may also have different coverage limits.

Amazon Home Warranty cost

The average cost for Amazon Home Warranty is between $30 and $50 per month, which is in line with the industry average. The service call fee, which you pay for each repair, is $75, which is also within the average range for home warranties.

PlanAverage cost
    Essential Appliances Plan$349/year or $29/month
    Major Systems Plan$429/year or $36/month
    Combo Plan$579/year or $48/month

Amazon Home Warranty claims

To request service, you need to submit a claim to Amazon Home Warranty. Claims are simple to submit, and you can file one 24/7.

How to request service from Amazon Home Warranty

1. File a claim and request service by calling Amazon’s 24/7 toll-free number.
    2. Amazon contacts a service contractor within two business days.
    3. The service contractor contacts you to schedule a repair visit.
    4. Pay the service call fee.
    5. Your contractor performs the repair.

Amazon guarantees repairs for 90 days on parts and 30 days on labor. If the work performed fails during this time, you do not have to pay an additional fee to get the item fixed again.

Amazon chooses your service provider from its list of approved repair companies. If you want to use your own contractor, you need preapproval. Amazon Home Warranty will need to see proof of repair before reimbursing you.

Amazon Home Warranty FAQ

Can I choose my own service provider?
    Amazon Home Warranty typically chooses a service provider for your repair from its list of approved contractors. To use an outside contractor, you need to call Amazon Home Warranty for preauthorization before beginning the repair.
    Is there a cancellation fee for Amazon Home Warranty?
    Yes. A $30 cancellation fee may apply if you cancel your contract.
    Does Amazon Home Warranty require a home inspection?
    No, you can sign up for an Amazon Home Warranty plan without a home inspection.
    Can I get a full refund when I cancel my plan with Amazon Home Warranty?
    Amazon Home Warranty has a 30-day grace period after sign-up. During this period, you can cancel your plan and receive a full refund.
    How long is Amazon Home Warranty’s service work guarantee?
    Amazon Home Warranty’s plans have a 30-day service work guarantee, meaning if a technician repairs an appliance and it breaks down within 30 days, there is no second service fee.
    What is Amazon Home Warranty’s service fee for home warranties?
    The standard service fee is $75.
    Is Amazon Home Warranty owned by Amazon.com?
    No. Amazon Home Warranty is not affiliated in any way with Amazon.com.

Is Amazon Home Warranty worth it?

If you are looking for a simple, straightforward choice for a home warranty, Amazon Home Warranty makes it easy to decide on a plan. Its Combo Plan offers comprehensive coverage that’s on par with top home warranty providers. It provides reasonable monthly rates in line with the industry average and some flexibility in service providers. Amazon Home Warranty provides value for the cost, making it a good option for homeowners looking for home protection plans.

AHW Home Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AHW Home Warranty?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I have to admit I am impressed with them. After my first claim was denied due to noises not being covered, I was worried that they would find an excuse not to pay everytime. Thankfully I was wrong. In the last year I've had 3 more claims which were all covered without hassle. I just renewed my plan and they honored my original rate which was great.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

After my washing machine stopped working I couldn't just figure out the cause so I called AHW to place a claim. Five hours later a team arrived to look further into the issue and now it is working as good as new. They also clean the additional mess making sure everything is in working order.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

I was pleasantly surprised when AHW provided me with a full value check for our washer machine. As a Property Manager in the past, I have dealt with countless warranty companies for my old clients. So many times, warranty companies will tell you they don't cover your broken machine because of the fine print or the wording of their agreements. AHW is by far the BEST I have dealt with, and don't try to rip you off. I have already recommended them to my friends who are just now buying homes. Great Company and friendly customer service.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

No service agreement has not been honored as of yet. My air conditioner unit is listed as unrepairable due to its age. Warranty service has only agreed to repair costs, even though a/c unit is listed as non-repairable and replacement is recommended.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

Yes. After so many previous refusals for coverage I was pleasantly surprised to have my AC covered at a reasonable cost. It however took too long to receive the check, more than a month since the claim was submitted and it would have been hell if I was unable to repair the AC before I received the check.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

We are an authorized vendor with other home warranty companies like AHS, Old Republic, First American, First Premier and Amazon. Our experience with Amazon Home Warranty has been worst. We have a pending of 16 invoice. They are short staffed. They are liars. They keep giving you excuses and keep giving you a to do list of things to do on how to submit an invoice. Every Amazon Home Warranty agent we speak with has a different solution on the phone. They have not paid us since July 2021 for 16 invoices. They are worst in customer service and they are worst in dealing with the vendor. Their customers keep waiting on us to do the repairs and we keep waiting on Amazon Home Warranty to provide us the money or Authorizations. I STRONGLY SUGGEST AND HUMBLY REQUEST ALL VENDORS TO PLEASE DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I would give them -10 stars if I could. Their customer service is horrendous and while they say items are covered, for everything I’ve tried to put a claim in for they say that the particular issue I have with the item is not covered. I put in a claim 7 days ago for my stove and cook top not working. They assigned me a contractor who didn’t call me so I called them to set up an appointment. They told me they would call the following day with a date and time. They didn’t so I called them again the following day. They told me they would come between 11 and 1 the following day (Saturday) and they didn’t show up. I tried to call them and they wouldn’t answer the phone and the voicemail was to full to leave a message.

Because Amazon Home Warranty isn’t open on the weekend I had to wait until Monday morning to call and request a new contractor. So now I’ve been without a stove and cook top for 6 days. The customer service rep said they could assign someone new but it would take 24 to 48 hours. It’s now been 54 hours and I still haven’t been assigned a new contractor to fix my stove and cook top. When you try to ask to speak with a supervisor, the outsourced customer service rep only apologizes and says they don’t have the ability to transfer calls or bring a supervisor on the line. When I ask for a supervisor contact they won’t provide.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

It's a shame you can't give negative stars!!! I've had 4 different home warranty companies over the years and this is by far the absolute worst. Nothing is done timely. Very little is actually covered - read the fine print - I mean VERY LITTLE. What is covered has a limit of $500.00 So if your Central unit goes out guess what!!! Yep it's on you. Plus they sucker you in for that 3 year deal at a steal, it's no wonder it's so cheap - it doesn't do ANYTHING!!! When you call expect to be on hold for extended periods of time. RUN - RUN THE OTHER DIRECTION!!!! Leaking water heater - not covered, Leaking coil on a 3 year old central unit - part covered by manufacturer, them nope. "We won't cover labor because the part is rusty" - DUH - it's been leaking Freon you idiots!!! Yes, they make you send pictures so they can tell you on, "We don't cover that." Worst company EVER!!!!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I canceled my multiyear contract with AHW since they do not cover frozen water lines on my refrigerator. They did a chargeback on previous claims and a cancellation fee. I also paid $60.00 service fee for repairs on the previous claim. For approximately 6 months of coverage, they are keeping approximately $1500 since I paid them in advance. Beware of this company. The salesman was very courteous and sold me on the company. But after I contracted with them, they are horrible when it comes to service and refunds.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

On 9/8/2021 we requested a service call from Amazon Home Warranty as our air conditioning unit stopped working. I was told the process for reimbursement was to get our own tech, have the technician diagnose the issue, call AHW with the diagnosis and they would give that tech approval to begin repairs “WITHIN THE HOUR”. After the technician called in the a/c diagnosis, AHW told him we needed to send pictures of unit fan and info about it and they would call back. I sent in the pics and all information requested and it is now 9/22/2021 and after numerous phone calls they have not given approval to repair the only unit in the house in Central Florida.

The a/c tech called me to let me know that AHW called him requesting pics of the new motor and asked him prices of every piece of material being used. They then haggled with him to lower his quote. Still no approval for repair to be done. This technician has dealt with them before and said if the repair is a high ticket item AHW will keep finding ways to delay it until you repair it without their approval so they don’t have to pay. MEANWHILE, the sales department has been texting and calling to get us to renew in October when our contract is up. AFTER TELLING THEM “NO” MORE THAN ONCE, THEY CHARGED OUR CREDIT CARD ANYWAY (they kept the information from the card we used when we first signed up)!

Take a Home Warranty Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

AHW Home Warranty Company Information