4.1/5 (487 ratings)

About ADT

ADT provides home security and alarm systems with features like entry sensors, motion detection, smoke alarms and leak detectors to help ensure your home, family and belongings are protected from intruders and environmental disasters. The company offers professionally installed systems available with top-of-the-line equipment for intrusion detection, video monitoring and smart-home automation.

Pros

• Variety of products
  • Reliable service
  • Smart-home connectivity
  • Six-month money-back guarantee

Cons

• Limited video capabilities
  • Installation cost

Bottom Line

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart-home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. With ADT Pulse, the system can be connected to Amazon Alexa and your smart-home devices.

ADT Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Dec. 22, 2022

I had an upsetting experience with the ADT technician for installation of equipment at my home on 12/16/22. The technician did not complete the installation that I was guaranteed as a new customer. (Get FREE* installation of Google Nest Doorbell & Outdoor Nest Camera.) He did not install the second camera outside as requested. He focused on the installation of the google nest doorbell and keypad inside. In addition he did not give me the panic button as I had ordered when speaking to the sales representative to order services. I live alone and need this for safety. I was explicit in my need for this panic button. I understood that this was an add on charge.

The Technician did not teach me how to use the google nest doorbell. He was rushing to leave and getting personal calls on his phone. He followed his own agenda to leave as quickly as possible. He told me to call ADT to have someone come out and install the second camera and to get me the panic button. He said the next technician will teach me how to use the system. He then gave me two bogus numbers to call for assistance. (One number was the technician to their support team), the other was his number. I never reached him and was unable to leave a message as the mailbox was not set up.

I made numerous calls to ADT to resolve the installation of the second camera etc. I have a log of calls made to ADT that exceed 10 and was on the phone with ADT for over 1 hour and 38 min for just one of those calls. After speaking with 10 ADT agents (I kept a log) no one helped me and they kept sending me to another agent. The incompetence of their not knowing their job was astounding. This is theft of service and ADT should know about it. I plan to write to Jim DeVries President and CEO of ADT to alert him of this.

I decided to cancel with ADT after that experience and when I called to cancel I spoke to a representative who appeared to know her job. She assured me of the following; that a technician would come out today, install the camera, teach me how to use the system, and give me the panic button. I told her fine that I will give ADT one more chance.

A technician came out today 12/22/22 but said he is only here to give me the panic button. He said he will have to charge me for an installation for the second camera. He said he could install the camera but that he would need to charge me for it. I told him that the second google camera is free. After I said that I wasn't paying for installation of the second camera he then said he did not have the proper equipment needed to install it and someone else would have to come out. I told him that he just said he would be happy to install it and now suddenly he doesn't have the necessary equipment. I told him that I did not believe that was the truth. He left stating that I was being offensive. To be truthful I did say “I think you are ** me” but I did not raise my voice at this man. I was very upset as anyone would be under the circumstances.

I called ADT to cancel service and my contract today and spoke with a few agents with no success. The calls kept getting dropped and no one called back. I wrote an email to cancel ADT effective immediately and asked that the google camera, equipment and the keypad be removed. I am not breaking my contract because I wasn't taught how to use the system, the installation was not complete and it has only been less than a week that I have had the google nest doorbell. I am so disappointed in ADT, I am active in my HOA and involved in numerous community groups. I am a teacher and work locally. I could never recommend ADT to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

Mr. Eddie came out to my house to help me and he went above and beyond his duty. I’m very appreciative! He was nice and caring, took his time to explain everything to me and didn’t have to stay as long as he did but he helped me.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

Horrible experience from the start.

1: Misquoted what I would pay (price suddenly went up after the system was installed in my home).
2: Components constantly failing (Doorbell camera constantly fails and needs resetting, door sensors often do not show doors closed).

3: Nobody tells you that you have to contact your local police force before ADT can have them sent to your home when the alarm goes off. We found out the hard way. Luckily it was a false alarm (we had 2 in the first 4 months saying windows were broken).

We have had our system for only 6 months and are told we are out of the warranty period so we will have to pay a technician to come take care of the issues we have with the doorbell and door sensors. Now we are locked into a contract and will be charged almost $1700 if we cancel. Buyer beware

ADT response

Hello Marc. We're so sorry to learn of this unacceptable experience. Our team would be more than happy to review this further, if you could please send us a copy of your review/concern, along with the phone number and address where the service is located to AlwaysThere@adt.com. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

The installer was awesome and well versed and he knew what he was doing. But my monitoring system doesn't have any sound to it. Other than that, they're all right with me.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

I like ADT's service now and I'm completely satisfied. I have no thoughts of leaving and I have plans to upgrade in the next six months.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

ADT has been great. The customer service reps have been responsive. My initial purchase was for the windows and doors, and I subsequently added outdoor cameras. A couple of the cameras go down too often, but they always fix them.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

A lot of my friends have canceled ADT's services, and they have their own cameras, but I wouldn't do that. Because we have the fire alarm, and if something happened to my husband, I gotta press the button and they'll be here. Everybody is great. Every time we got a problem and we call, they answer. We had something going on last year with the Xfinity lines, and the woman who came out was phenomenal. She was so on to everything. "Call them, tell them to update the lines. I'm gonna come back. I'm gonna fix it for you." That's exactly what I did, but Xfinity gave us a hard time. After they came out and fixed the line, the woman came back, fixed everything and said, "Sometimes it has to do with the lines with them." I said, "They don't wanna come out. They do not. It's horrible." I wouldn't recommend Xfinity even though I've had them for 24 years. I'm sick of them. On the other hand, I'm very satisfied with ADT.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

I've got nine sensors throughout the house, and I had no problems at all. The service has been excellent, and the system makes me and my wife more comfortable. I would recommend ADT.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

A guy that worked with the ADT was walking around the neighborhood and was soliciting people to get it. I did and I'm satisfied.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

I had ADT at my address in Los Angeles for seven years and we had the service transferred over to this place. Jason was the person that did the installation and he was really cool. He explained everything and he never really made me feel I was asking stupid questions or didn't know what was going on. He offered really great advice and he went above and beyond what he had to. He actually came out afterwards and reinstalled some cameras for us. He also fixed some items after we had our breaker box stolen. He reattached everything and that was very nice of him to do.

If it was not for Jason installing the camera that was watching the side of the house, we wouldn't have been able to get a picture of the people who stole the box. We were able to give that to the police and put in a police report. Jason is definitely an asset to ADT. The equipment has been great and I like the service. Customer service has been really good. It's easy to make payments and I'm okay with that.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

The technician's work ethic was okay, but some of the censors he put in might be crooked when he could have wound them up better. There was one in the basement garage door that was so crooked, it kept setting off alarms when we were out in Arizona for the winter. He came out and fixed it. On the order though, I requested two signs, one for each driveway, and he only brought one, then it took him about two weeks to get out with the others. He was far away from where we live. We live in the foothills, and he was coming from the Bay area. If he stocked his truck better, that wouldn't have been an issue. Besides that, he was a very nice gentleman. He made it very easy for me to understand how to program the system.

I'm very satisfied with ADT. Everything's perfect, and the system works well. I get good service if I ever have to call in or they call me. We live in the country and it's nice that even without being on Wi-Fi, we still get a notice from ADT whenever something's violated, so we can quickly get a technician on the line. It still works for us, but I've got a Jetpack from Verizon and I may go ahead and add Wi-Fi. We can use that while we're there.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

My carbon monoxide detector which is supposed to be monitored, had quit working and they didn't even get a notification. It took me over a month to get somebody out here. But when the techs got here, they were professional. They got it up and running, but I still don't know if it's being monitored. I can set it off and nobody ever calls. Nobody ever does anything. Used to be, if you looked at it sideways, cops would be at the house.

I also have a camera offline that I unplugged just to see if they’d called me to tell me, because it's supposed to be monitored too, but it's not. They haven't called me yet. It's been unplugged for two weeks now. Their customer service has also been horrendous. I had been on hold for over six hours before.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

I've had ADT for 20 years. I had them when I was in another state. It's not as clear and clean as it was in California, but I haven't had any problems with it. I like it. I've been approached by other people and I've stayed with ADT, and unless I have a reason to switch, I will continue with ADT. It makes me feel safer.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

The installer of my ADT was a perfect gentleman.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

ADT's reps are very thorough and professional. I've always been happy with them and I never had any problems. The system works well, too. I've never had any issues where if I open up a door, the alarm will go off or the beeper will go off. If I walk through a door that I'm not supposed to be going through when the alarm is on, it does screech at me.

Aside from that, I have an outdoor camera and I woke up in the middle of the night once to what I thought was someone banging on my front door. But by the time I realized it, I didn't see anyone at the door. Despite that, I feel very secure knowing that I can go right on my app to see if somebody was there. The clarity of the outdoor camera is also very good, except when I have to clean the lens on it. Then sometimes, I have an issue when it rains very hard. For some reason, the camera goes out. I need to have them come and check it out to see if there are any exposed wires.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

The ADT rep I worked with was communicative, knowledgeable, patient, listens to the customer to ensure that they are providing whatever services are that the customer is requesting. Also directs the customer into the right pathway. They were able to ensure that we were getting the best quality for the money that we would be spending.

So far, the service has been excellent. The system has been very good, easy to use both in-home as well as on the app. I have one little hiccup sometimes when the doorbell is pushed. Sometimes, there's that delay for the app being able to come up and see the person or talk to the person immediately. Sometimes, they've gone. Because I can be at the back of the house trying to get to the front, or if I'm not home in general.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

Compared to a lot of companies that I've had to deal with, ADT has been really nice and on top of things. I'm really happy with them. I really like the security system as well. There were some break-ins which initiated our purchase of it around our house, and I feel a lot safer having the security system even if I don't set it because I know that I can push a button and set it off if I'm here by myself. I like the app too. It's easy to use.

Customer service and installation have been great. Every time we've had an issue, it's been immediately resolved. We got new windows, so I called about how to take the sensors off and how to put them back on. They talked me through the process, sent me an email that had videos, then sent us a package on how to get them off and how to reattach them. They also offered to send somebody out if we needed help, but we figured it out.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

We got a wireless system and we’re very pleased with it. It makes me feel secure and ADT's reps have been very professional and friendly. I would recommend them.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

We've had a good experience with ADT. When I met with the representative, I felt good about what they told me. The only thing, batteries were getting low on my panel, and I had called to get a tech out here. The tech said, "You just change the batteries." He was checking something else. Then it ended up that the battery was bulging, and I had to order special battery. I told ADT about that. They ended up sending me two batteries, and one of them, they took off for free because of the complaint, that the tech didn't help me. But that was the only thing, everything else has been a very good service.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

I've had ADT for so long. I really love it. I've had really good experience with them. They have great response. I have a camera. When I had a problem with it the last time, they came out and hooked it up and they did a perfect job on it. Everything is fine with it.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

ADT has been excellent. I'm glad we selected them. I had no problem at all with them. I like that they have fire service and all that hooked up to the system.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

I had a very bad opinion of ADT but a gentleman called me and he was excellent. He was one wonderful salesman and I ended up giving it a try, and I've been very happy with the service. If I have an issue that I can’t handle, I just call customer service and they're great. The installer was also very good, personable and polite. He knew what he was talking about. He was patient with me if I had questions.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2022

ADT has some seriously questionable business practices when it comes to trying to cancel their service. When my contract was up, the first thing I did was try to cancel. The representative on the phone got argumentative and kept calling back. Then she put me on a 9.99/mo plan, which is great but I really don't need the service based on where I live. Now it's impossible to cancel because they put you on hold for over an hour.

ADT response

Hello Dafeng. We're sorry to learn of this frustrating experience. Our team would be more than happy to review this further. Please send us a copy of your review/concern, along with the telephone number and address where the service is located to AlwaysThere@adt.com. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2022

First I am not one to give negative reviews in fact I had to create an account with ConsumerAffairs to do so. The customer experience could not be worse at ADT alarms. If it was one negative exchange you would not be seeing this review. This has been going on for over 2 months. I have been on the phone with them 5 times now for close to an hour each time. Today I have been handed off to the "correct person" who can help me 6 different times so far. Currently still on hold waiting for help. Over two months ago the batteries went out in my keypad. I called them in hopes that they would send out a new battery since it is a specialized battery that you cannot get in local stores. They told me they could not order it and I needed to go online and order from their website. So I did. Not only did they send me the incorrect battery they sent me 7 of them 4 weeks later and charged me for all 7 at $40 a battery.

So on the phone again I was issued a refund for the batteries and now for some reason, they were able to help me on the phone to order a new battery. The gentleman that helped me noted on the order and specified that the AAA battery pack was what is needed. They said again that it would be 3-5 business days for the order to arrive. 4 weeks later again they sent me the AA battery pack. So back to the phone. This time after being bounced around to 3-4 different people we ordered the AAA battery pack one more time. 3 weeks go by and still no battery. I call them today and have been handed off to 6 different people on the first call before the phone hung up on me during a transfer to a seventh. Currently on hold again. I hope that whoever is in charge of systems out there sees this review. I am a business owner and would never accept this service for my clients. Thanks for reading my rant.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2022

Beware! I paid for package online but when technician came out, he added numerous unauthorized charges including charging me for products that were never installed. I have been calling you for over a week and they refuse to resolve issue even after acknowledging that I have charges for products that were never installed. District Manager Steven ** called me and was accusing me of buyers remorse even though I NEVER (not even once) asked to cancel service. I simply asked them to fix extra unauthorized equipment that technician installed and set me up with items I ordered online when I signed up for service. This is beyond crazy that they are trying so hard to keep my money that their technician inappropriately charged. I've never experienced such unprofessional service from a company.

If you choose to still patronize this company, make sure you review your charges carefully because technician never went over charges with me. Instead, he emailed me the second attached bill AFTER he left. I am going to continue to fight to make sure issues are addressed and will explore legal options if I need to. I just want to save someone else from this nightmare.

Awful experience receipts. Steven ** insists that ADT does not need to do anything because contract was signed even though this "valid" contract that the technician did NOT review with me has 11 shock sensors and 9 door/window sensors, and technician only installed 13 sensors. ADT including Steven ** does not dispute that I was billed for more than what was installed.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2022

Their customer service reps and techs have been very nice. We just had a tsunami in Naples, Florida and I had to get some new equipment because they had to tear off 4 feet and under. The service was great but I was very disappointed was in what they charged me. The labor charge was ridiculous and I was extremely upset.

The only thing i was disappointed in with the system was that when our power went out, there was supposed to be a backup battery and there was none. I asked the electrician and he said the battery got wet. But I don't think it did 'cause we only had a few inches of water and mud.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2022

The package is a 10 out of 10 as far as the features that are provided. But sometimes the clarity is a 5 out of 10 for what you have to do regarding different things here and there. It wasn't clear to me that we were going to have to change out all of the fixtures. We were upgrading windows on the house and so we had to go back and forth with the company about when they were going to charge me for a fee to come back out for a service charge. I told the representative that we were in the project of doing several things like that so that part was a little finicky. I wish ADT would educate their customers regarding things of that nature.

Also, I didn't realize that the third-party company was holding my account. I asked for ADT to come out and it was actually an ADT-approved company that came out. That was a big ordeal as well. I believe in ADT but that was very off-putting because I was being pulled by strings of different ways and I really didn't feel comfortable. It wasn't like they were lying or they were trying to squeeze me out. But I didn't have the information to make the decision.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2022

I have been with ADT for 3 years (only because they made me sign a contract for that long). My camera never works, you can't fix anything yourself, they have to come days later and charge you a minimum of $59 for a trip charge every time. The last time they came they had to reset my password on the camera because my router password had changed (why can't you change a password yourself???) They charged me $59 for the trip and then $139 for labor, to reset a password on a camera!!!!

Then 3 days later the camera suddenly stopped working, and guess what...another trip charge of $59 even though they told me on the phone there would be no charge. The cameras are so grainy and not worth the $300+ you have to spend upfront to buy one, along with the SVR 200+ that you have to have with it in order to record. Absolutely cannot wait to cancel!!! ADT you should know there are other waaaaayyyyy better options out there for a fraction of the cost and cameras you can install yourself, you all need to change with the climate or you will become obsolete. JMO

ADT response

Thank you for reaching out to us! We’re sorry to hear about this experience and we would like to further assist you in getting this resolved. Please reach out to us directly at Alwaysthere@adt.com. Please include the address/phone number to the account and a copy of your post.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2022

I sold my home on the 7th of this month and the new owner has ADT now because I told him to get it. I have a very good experience with them. But between when we signed and accepted the offer and the time we closed, I've received so many phone calls from ADT it's unbelievable. They know I'm moving out of the country, but I don't see how they don't know that on my prior file.

Also, this week, I received an email notifying me of a certain credit they will give me for canceling my contract. When I called they said my account doesn't exist. I said, "Well, I'm looking at it." I gave them my account number, phone number, full name and prior address and they said they couldn't find it. Nobody gave me a clear answer as to how I would get the credit, if it's through my bank account or they will send me a check. But that's the only negative experience I've had with them.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2022

This new system, which ADT upgraded works on my phone. We were having home phone issues. So, it's all on my cellphone. We had the cameras put in and a new lock system put in last year. The upgrade and installation were very good. We had some issues at the beginning, though. I tried to see what we could do. We were having major home phone stuff. We've got a Spectrum home phone and our system was down all the time because the phone system was down. But when I called at the service trying to see what we could do to change it over, I didn't get much help and ended up canceling it for three weeks. I got a call back from one of their managers that actually came out here and upgraded everything because he said what happens is when you call these numbers, you don't go to the actual ADT. You go to different departments and different companies that are managing it. It was kind of a weird situation.

He ended up coming out and was wonderful. He fixed everything and took care of it all and apologized for the inconvenience. He did a really good job. Right now, we're knocking at 20 years with ADT that we've had the security service. I really do enjoy the new system with the cameras though. We got all this upgraded service for maybe less than $10 than what I've been paying in the old thing and we didn't have half of what we did. So, it was very reasonable.

ADT Company Information