Get a Quote

4.2/5 (1172 ratings)

About ADT

ADT provides home security and alarm systems with features like entry sensors, motion detection, smoke alarms and leak detectors to help ensure your home, family and belongings are protected from intruders and environmental disasters. The company offers professionally installed systems available with top-of-the-line equipment for intrusion detection, video monitoring and smart-home automation.

Pros

• Variety of products
  • Reliable service
  • Smart-home connectivity
  • Six-month money-back guarantee

Cons

• Limited video capabilities
  • Installation cost

Bottom Line

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart-home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. With ADT Pulse, the system can be connected to Amazon Alexa and your smart-home devices.

ADT Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

The technician that came out was very personable and nice, and answered all my questions quickly, and went through everything with me very thoroughly. So it was a very good experience.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

On Friday the 29th, a tech came out for my system installation. He was a friendly guy. So far, the system has been fine.

ADT response

Hello Harriett. Welcome to the ADT family. We are happy to hear the system is working for you. -Carla

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

The installation was super quick and the rep that came took the time to explain to me and he had a lot of patience with my kids. I like that the system takes pictures whenever someone's putting in the code and I also like that I can assign a code to each person.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

I was very pleased with the installation and the ease of service with ADT. I'm very happy with the service so far.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

I wanna be safe and secure. I had a few friends that used ADT and recommended it. My installer was knowledgeable and answered questions. He paid attention to what I was looking for. I like my system overall.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

Everything went fine. They told us it would be a four to five-hour install, but it did not take that long. The installer was quick. He seemed nice and he did what he needed to do. We feel more secure having the system and I like the new camera that you can talk through it.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

I've used ADT since 2005 in the different locations I moved to. In my recent move, the new installation was great and the system works. It's perfect and I like it. I'm satisfied.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

I like the quickness of ADT. When I called, instead of waiting a couple of days, they got someone right out that day. The guy talked to me and my son while he was loading the system in. He let us know everything that was going on, got with me and my wife, showed us how to work the system, and gave us a couple of tricks on quick entry and quick exit. Everything was pretty convenient and self-explanatory to use. I will recommend ADT to anybody that's having to get a security system.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

The rep that came over was really nice. He did everything great. It was a great experience.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

The installer was very helpful and informative. I like the outdoor cameras. It gives me access to view the surrounding areas of my home, and the ability to save recordings. I feel great and more secure having the system.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

I liked the whole setup and services that ADT was providing. I got their system and a cool guy came out on time for the installation. He explained everything in detail for me to understand and he showed me around. I liked the system app especially the fact that I can hear and speak throughout the camera. I only wish that when you zoom the camera in, it could be clearer so that if anything happens, especially when someone tries to go inside your house, you would be able to get their license plate.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

I've used ADT for 20 years now and the customer service has been flawless. When I moved from Oklahoma to Texas, I got the same thing. The install was at my convenience because I'm building a new house, so they came out when I was ready for them. It's pretty user-friendly and easy to operate.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

ADT's customer service was right on. Everybody else was kind of high pressure. The gentleman that we spoke to at ADT was more focused on trying to get us what we actually were needing, rather than trying to do a whole bunch of extra sales to make an extra buck. He tried to find what was the right kind of security for us rather than overselling something that we didn't have to have. So we liked that aspect and mentality of getting us the right kind of coverage.

We were supposed to have somebody come back out to finish doing the cameras on the house because it was raining the day of installation. So they couldn’t get on the ladder that day. But we got that rescheduled and they’re coming back out this next week to finish up. Everything else went well. The installer did a great job. My partner was very proud of the kind of work that he did. He was very informative.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

We had ADT for six years in our last home. We just moved to a new home so we transferred service. The process was better than we thought. We bought an older home so it's quirky and it didn't have any services. I spoke with a gal when I wanted to transfer the service and she was very kind. ADT was gonna have to come in and install a new panel, a new this, and a new that. We already paid money for that to happen in our last home and I didn't want to pay for that again. I told the gal that they won't allow us to take the sensors off of the old home and move them to the new home. She said she could give me a really great deal and she offered a really cool system. She really tried to figure something out so I was happy.

We got a little doorbell thing. I spoke with a technician over the phone and he was very nice. He said, "Here's what you need to buy. It's really easy. Look at this YouTube video. Show your husband. Maybe he can do it. Otherwise, maybe call an electrician.” He said was gonna need to update the doorbell because it would act weird. It would ring a few times by itself. If it's less than 10 watts, we would need to upgrade it to 12 or more. My husband installed the doorbell, turned the alarm on, and we went to dinner. I got the call and was warned. We thought somebody was breaking in. But nobody was. We have cameras and we could see everything. It's just weird. The doorbell rings but it acts a little possessed. At that time, it was triggered. We don't use that right now until we change out the wattage. On the whole, ADT was good.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

The system is good. But I noticed that without Wi-Fi, it doesn't work as good.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

The only complaint I have is the motion sensor is not sensing enough. If I come down my steps, I can get to my front door without setting the motion sensor off. The only thing that sets it off is when I open the door. The door sensor sets off the alarm. That I’m a little worried about. I haven't called ADT yet about it. Everything else is good.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

It's kind of tough to get through to people at ADT because I get transferred several times but once I landed with somebody, it was always a pleasant experience. Everything that we bought has worked real well. So far, so good.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

I was very pleased with my ADT rep and I had a very positive experience. It was the same with the installation team.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

We've been long-time ADT customers and we just moved. So we turned the system on in the new house. The installation was absolutely fantastic. The technician we had was delightful and went above and beyond. We had a hard-wired system installed, which in my view is better than the newer wireless system. We did add some additional sensors that were wireless to the system and also added cellular so we didn't have to have our phone line hooked up.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

I’ve always have had a security system but I became a little disgruntled with the service I had prior to last week. My system wasn’t working and I stayed on the phone with the young man for two hours on Monday night. He told me that someone will be sent out on Thursday. After no one came on Thursday, I called back to find out what was going on, and the lady I spoke to said that they didn't have anyone scheduled to come out. But I told her what the young man told me before. She said she couldn't get anybody out again for another week so I said I will just cancel my service and go with someone else.

When I got ready to cancel, I had to wait on hold for an hour for somebody to answer the phone. Then they told me I had to go to another department and had to wait another 30 minutes for that department to answer. I can understand that since the pandemic, a lot of companies might not have these staff that they normally had in the past. But to have to stay on hold for an hour was ridiculous. At one point, they told me that if I left my number, someone would call me back. I did, and no one ever called me back. So, customer service is far most important for me.

When I called to sign up with ADT, the young man told me all the things that they were waiving. When the install guy got out and he was telling me that ADT would just be financing my equipment for 700 and some odd dollars, I said that I was never told that I had to pay for the equipment. He got on the phone and called someone. I guess they went back and listened to the tape that I was never told that I have to pay for the equipment charge, so they went ahead and did that.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

The ADT installer was nice and the installation was good. The app is good. I like that I'm able to do things on my phone.

ADT response

Hi Alexis. Thank you for the review and feedback. We greatly appreciate you taking the time do so. Please let us know if we could've done anything differently to earn a higher star rating.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

Both guys that went out there to do the installation were knowledgeable and professional. They were tolerant of the situation that I was to be able to set this up for my employer and the whole experience was pretty streamlined, easy, fast, and effective.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

I had a few issues with ADT. My problem is with the pricing and ADT itself. But for the most part, they are pretty reliable. I can count on them. I love the outdoor cameras. I also love the update on the cameras. It's 1080p High Definition and it's a really good viewing quality.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

The house I bought already had the ADT home security system so I just used it. The tech changed all my batteries and set everything up for me. I’m supposed to have a sign right outside my house, but he couldn't find it so he didn't do anything about it. Nonetheless, I love that peace of mind when I'm not home that my house will be protected.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

I had ADT installed like almost 2 years ago. I wanted to do only 3 year contract and I told them, but somehow I ended up with 5 years that is so weird. First of all, they told me a price that was supposed to include everything. Then they started sending bills stating it is my equipment rental that I was not told to. Now I have to move to a different address and they are telling me like I have to pay 1930 dollars as early termination fee. They say they will refund it once I start my service at the new address.

Also they told me I have to pay again for the equipment in my new address. They don't take the equipments from my old address but I have to still pay for it even after I change my address. So I have to pay for the equipments that I am not using, and I have to pay for the new equipments in my new address. Then they took off 730 dollars from my credit card as pay off amount for the equipments at my old address without even telling me. I called customer care and spoke to them for 45 mts and finally they hanged up on me. Please don't use ADT. If you are using read all the lines on their contract. They are just thieves.

Hello Nirmalraj. We sent you a private message. ~Carla

Resolution response: Oct. 28, 2021

My issues are not fully solved, nor am I yet sure that they can be, but I am pleased with the prompt email response of the company. They are obviously eager to help and provided a direct email address for me. And, to reiterate what I said in my review, I am still quite satisfied with ADT as an ALARM company, which is the main thing I engage them for! My problems are with their new technology and the weakness of support for a user transitioning from their old system. But they seem to be eager to help.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

We had an ADT wired system installed during construction in our 20 yr. old home. About 2012 we upgraded to a Pulse System with 2 video cams and various sensors (but not smart lock). That home is now sold and we're in a new home after a 1 yr. interlude. Because we'd had good experiences with ADT, we decided to install it in our new home. The system we got installed was the new Command system w. Control App. That the system was going to be entirely different was never mentioned to us, though I didn't think to ask. I just assumed my new system would be just like my old one. So, after 1 month of orientation, I am VERY disappointed in the Command System as far a being user friendly and capable. My point of comparison is my previous Pulse System, which I found was VERY user friendly, flexible, capable and well adapted to remote control.

For my first example of disappointing features, or rather LACKS, Command has NO way to bypass sensors while arming with the Control App. If you're at the panel, you can do a custom arm and bypass sensors (for my garage where work is going on for instance), but NO such flexibility exists with the Control App. The App can't even see what sensors you did bypass at the panel when the system is armed. And if you have to disarm it remotely, you can't rearm it with the bypassed sensors!

My second disappointing example is our new Smartlock, which is a new feature for us. The installer asked us to choose a code, which he programmed in, and that's it! Left NO instructions or literature about ANYTHING to do with the Smartlock. And ADT Support website has NO information at all about the Smartlock. You'd never know they used it from there website except for the mention of "lock/unlock" ability on the website and App. The Smartlock ADT installed is a Kwikset 914, and from reading about that lock, MOST control apps provide detailed ability to set multiple passcodes and to see, on the App, which passcodes have unlocked or locked the lock. But not when you have it in an ADT system!! You CAN lock and unlock it from the website or App, but THAT'S ALL. Only 1 passcode for every user and NO record or any ability to add or delete codes either at the lock or remotely, or to manage users.

I tried to pursue answers to these issues with ADT telephone support and basically got nowhere. When I asked about the Smartlock, the guy had to keep me on hold for 10 minutes doing research, and then he gave me the lock's model as a Kwikset 913, which ultimately proved to be wrong once I got into Kwikset's support literature, which is a WHOLE LOT BETTER THAN ADT'S!! But you can't operate any of it's Kwikset features except setting ONE passcode requiring access inside the lock itself. And you have no record of lock access except via that one passcode. I have only been with this new Command system for 1 month, but so far it's been a big disappointment to me as far as anything beyond the basics of alarm operation.

ADT response

William- We're so terribly sorry to learn of this upsetting experience with your new system and this disheartening experience as a longtime ADT family member! We would love to address your concerns with you further if you could please email our team directly at alwaysthere@adt.com along with the full address in which the services are located and a reference to your review. We do hope today finds you well and having a wonderful day!~ Thank you

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

The first time, I got one ADT security system for the business and now, I just moved from New York to PA and that was when I decided to have it in my home. Everything is working fine, so far. The people who were setting up the system did everything smoothly. The system is pretty good. I like it because it's monitored by an app. That's the easiest way to use in everything. I'm satisfied by using it. ADT could have more promotions to make it easy for the customers to purchase their ADT equipment or if they have another option like to rent the equipment.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

I have ADT in my home and I wanted ADT in this new place as well. The installation was very smooth. The technician who came was very knowledgeable and he explained everything before leaving. He also gave me some options and showed me how to use the system, because the panel is a new one that is different from what I have in my home.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

The technician that came out was really nice and he explained everything to my daughter and son-in-law. He was very helpful to them. He was really good. My son-in-law does the IT thing, so he understands a lot better than I do. The system has a lot of up-to-date features that he was really impressed with. So they were very satisfied with it.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

ADT had installed the system last week and it's not doing very well. I had a security system by Brinks before, and I thought I was moving into a better system. They are duplicating the same issues I had with Brinks and maybe get even worse. Nothing is working. The sensitivity of the camera is very bad. Brinks cameras from the beginning were working. But ADT cameras are not even doing what they're supposed to do. One camera and the door camera weren't working. I expected much from them that's why I changed. It was a very bad move and I'm very disappointed so far. But we'll see what happens on Saturday as ADT has an appointment at that time. I'm waiting for them to see what they will do. I have some hope that it will be straightened.

ADT response

Greetings, Rajab! Our sincerest apologies for the troubles! If issues persist after the on site service call, we encourage you to email our office back at AlwaysThere@adt.com with your contact info and a copy of this post for reference and we will work with our local office management to ensure a resolution is achieved. Again, we are so sorry for the issues and look forward to resolving! Thank you!

ADT Company Information