3.9/5 (485 ratings)

About ADT

ADT provides home security and alarm systems with features like entry sensors, motion detection, smoke alarms and leak detectors to help ensure your home, family and belongings are protected from intruders and environmental disasters. The company offers professionally installed systems available with top-of-the-line equipment for intrusion detection, video monitoring and smart-home automation.

Pros

• Variety of products
  • Reliable service
  • Smart-home connectivity
  • Six-month money-back guarantee

Cons

• Limited video capabilities
  • Installation cost

Bottom Line

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart-home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. With ADT Pulse, the system can be connected to Amazon Alexa and your smart-home devices.

ADT Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

We have defective equipment and we are still paying for it and under warranty. We have been trying for over a month to get resolved. Long phone holds and nothing done. Chat and at the end they request that you call tech support. One tech came out reboot system and said it was working and again alarm went off in middle of night.

ADT response

Hello. Thank you for reaching out and we are so sorry for this frustrating experience. We see that the tech is scheduled to come out again. If he issue is still not resolved after his visit, please let us know so we can address further. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

I regretted signing up for a contract with ADT. The worst and oldest equipment, exorbitant fees, strings attached (3 years of service). I am pretty confident once most of the contracts will expire, it will be big trouble for ADT since competitors are far better. Unfortunately, I didn't do my due diligence before choosing ADT.

ADT response

We're so terribly sorry to learn of this unacceptable experience you've had as a member of the ADT family! We would love to address any outstanding issues. If you could please email our team directly at Alwaysthere@adt.com with the full address in which the services are located and the account details along with your post for further assistance.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

We had ADT up in Kentucky. We moved to Florida and moved the service down here. They just installed it today. The tech seemed very knowledgeable. He knew what he was doing. It's a newer system. He showed me everything and how to scroll through the menu. He helped me put it on my phone. ADT has been good. They've been good up in Kentucky, too. Anytime there was an issue, they responded immediately.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

I'm satisfied 100% with ADT. Every time my alarm goes off, they call me quickly. The technicians who came, redid my wiring and upgraded my system were good.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

I left ADT and went with another company. I came back to ADT because they were the better service. Having ADT, I can lock and secure my house at night and walk around without the alarm going off. I'm gonna call them and see about updating my panel system because I think I got an outdated one.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2022

ADT contacted us up. They had to upgrade something. They checked the whole system and made sure it was working right. We are completely satisfied.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2022

I've had a couple of glitches, but my customer service rep, Zach, has been great to help me figure out the problems. He was quick to respond. We couldn't hardly figure out this last problem, but he stayed on the phone with me till I tried several things to figure it out. When I text him, he always gets back to me. I'm very happy with everything, so far. I'm working on my second year with ADT. I probably won't need the system because the neighborhood is quite safe here. But depending on if I'm given a customer discount to go a third year, I will keep it. The corporate office was good to give me a discount on my first year.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

The representatives that I had were good. I’ve had the system for so long but this newer upgrade went down because of a problem that I had there. I had the ADT reps come in to get the camera. They had a program that I could get the doorbell camera but they couldn't hook it up because the Wi-Fi wasn't connecting from the back. I was very disappointed about that. But it wasn't their fault. Other than that, their services were very good. I'm very happy with ADT. I feel safer because if I open the door by mistake, then I get a call from ADT and I have to give them my PIN number and who I am, before they’ll call the police for me.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

Whenever something needs the technician right away and I would call ADT, they would say that I have to pay for the technician to come. But when I say that I'm paying for the service protection, they would say that was not included in what I was paying for. So eventually, they would connect me to the loyalty program reps and when I talk to them, they would waive the fee for the technician to come here. But when you call, you don't get to that department right away. You have to be connected by the customer representative. Then, the last time that a tech was here, the guy was not wearing a mask and after two weeks, I tested positive for COVID. Other than that, ADT responds to you when you have a problem and they take care of it. I have also referred some of my neighbors to them.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

I had a conversation with one of ADT's reps, Fernando, going back three weeks ago, and he knew the issue I was having. I was trying to get through to ADT. I was waiting 20 minutes, and the automated system offered the chat option. I was on a chat with somebody and the chat ended really quick without the rep acknowledging my issue. With that said, I finally got through with a gentleman. I called him back and he said, “I'll take care of you.” He sent me a battery, and I was good to go. I put a nice review on the website for ADT, to let him know, "Thank you for what you did for me."

The waiting time was harsh though. It's a good thing I didn’t need somebody right away, because I have been waiting a while, unless the answering service would have been different if an alarm did go off. I just hope ADT would have been on top of it more so than me calling and waiting that long period of time that I did that one day. Other than that, I’m happy with the service. The installation was good, and I'm happy with the features of the system as well. The panel is nice, and everything is situated in the hotspots that I needed for the alarms on the doors, the sliding doors, and windows.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

We've been using ADT for 40 years now and it works just fine.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

Absolutely the WORST company. Not only is the customer service atrocious with every phone call being on hold for hours with several transfers (We were literally on hold once for 2 hours straight having to listen to how ADT saved some person's dog), but the entire staff is incompetent. We tried to move our service to a new address and since we switched from homeowners to renting, we had to switch to Blue by ADT. The agents told us, if we did, it would waive our cancelation fees since we were 1 year into our contract. They set up our account and everything.

2 months later, we got collection agencies calling us to collect our 1,800 cancelation fees. Turns out, ADT stepped on their dealers toes, over reached their contract, and tricked us into another contract all under false pretenses. If you just signed an ADT, cancel it within 3 days!!! GET OUT.. the real buglers are ADT and their dealers. The systems are fancy with bells and whistles, but it's all worthless.

ADT response

We're so terribly sorry to learn of this experience you've had as a member of the ADT family! We would love to address these issues with you further. If you could please email our team directly at Alwaysthere@adt.com with the full address in which the services are located and the account details along with your post for further assistance.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

I've gotten good service from ADT. When the alarm goes off, they're there. The system has been satisfactory.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

The ADT reps have been really great. Anytime I've had any problems, they've been very helpful and patient in explaining things. Recently, I was dealing with financial problems, and one rep worked with me and really lowered the payment to not lose me as a customer. Knowing that I have ADT really makes a difference. I got a camera and I use it to watch my dog when I'm not home. She sits by the door and I just check in on her.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

Called for additional cameras and extra cameras were put in but different cameras on different Applications. The worst one side of home on one App and the other side on another App. I then cancelled account which was the hardest to get done then cancelled since March and still in August being billed from my account to now find out that now august 9 th my account is getting cancelled again when it should of been cancelled since March. The worst service. Never again..

ADT response

Hi Felix- We're terribly sorry about your experience. We can confirm that your cancellation is pending. Please allow more time. - Mazen

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

I like that ADT is a solo security company and not an offshoot of a cable company or something else. The cost has continually increased over the past few years which I was a little disappointed in but I also know they're not the only company raising prices.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

I've had a very excellent experience with ADT. Everything I ever asked, they took care of. The system works fine. However, they put a camera on the porch and it's useless. If there’s a car out your 20 feet, you can't read anything on it. You can't recognize anybody. They’d have to be right in front of it to recognize anybody. It is a waste. Other than that, I feel secure with their system.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

We've had ADT for almost 18 years. I really like it. I just upgraded the touchscreen control panel. We've had so many problems with the last cameras we had, but the cameras we got now are Google. They're the magnetic ones. They're wireless and they are super nice. We are in awe.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2022

I love ADT. If I have a problem, they come out right away and do whatever is necessary. Any time the alarm goes off or if we have a weather problem and temporarily all the power goes off, they notify and let me know. When it comes back on, they'll also notify me and let me know the time it was back on. I had a couple of batteries go out a couple of times and they came out and changed those, and told me how to change them in the future and what to look for. The alarm system is fine, just expensive. But everything else is expensive. I'm happy with what I have.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

ADT has been good to us so far. They have the best initial offer in terms of equipment but I'd probably tell others to try and find some place cheaper that doesn't raise rates every year. Also, the panel sucks and the equipment drains batteries quickly. It's a pain to unlock the app but outside of that, it works well. The agents have been excellent.

ADT response

Hi Nathaniel! We appreciate your feedback, and are sorry to hear of any disappointment regarding the system operation, or app issues. For any technical support, we can always be reached by calling 1 800 238 2727. Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

Purchased ADT home security system back in March of 2022. The cameras are already having issues especially the doorbell camera all conveniently stopped working after my warranty is up. Now they want more money just to send a tech out for repairs. I initially was told by their company that the issue was with my internet and I needed an extender. I purchased the extender for the Wifi and the cameras are still not up to par. Now after more phone calls with this company, I told them I am not paying extra money for a tech to come out and it. They proceeded to argue and remind me of the contract I signed. I told them I will be canceling my service once my contract is up. The "supervisor's" exact words were, "That is totally fine." Not only do they not stand by their products, they have horrible customer service and are money hungry. BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY AND LOOK ELSEWHERE!

ADT response

Hi Chavez- We're terribly sorry about your experience with your local dealership Safe Haven. Please keep in mind that Safe Haven is separately owned and operated and can be reached directly here: https://mysafehaven.com/customer-support/.

ADT LLC. is here to serve you directly as well. We can troubleshoot with you for free at 1 800 238 2727 and schedule a tech visit for $59.00 per your service agreement. Please note that ADT does not profit from service tickets. We'd much rather ensure that you have a system that is working correctly. We look forward to speaking with you! - Mazen

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

ADT is a good service. They answer your questions when you call. They’re perfect. My husband passed away, and I was going to do away with it because of the price of it. But they lowered my rate for me, which was almost in half. That was good so we continued service with them.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

When I came in the door, I forgot to turn the alarm off. ADT called me and wanted to know if it was me. So far, my experience with them has been excellent. I have the camera system now, which is even better. I wanted to update to the doorbell, too, but they're upgrading where I live at. So, after a while, I should have the full service from them.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

ADT put up a new control panel and showed me how to use it on the app on my phone, which I did not think I would use. Now, that's all I use. It's so easy. Their rep showed me everything I needed to know about it and was very helpful with getting the app started. I like the system particularly since I'm not there every day. Even though I have neighbors looking out for it, if something happens, I'll know about it.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

The system has been good. But I had my phone switched over to another phone, and I had a hard time getting it back on there. It has a triangle and a one in it. And I can't seem to get that off my phone now when I start to turn on the system. When I switched phones, I had to call. ADT had to help me get it back on to my phone. I was on the phone for three hours, because when it comes to electronic stuff, I don't know that much. But I finally got it on there. Also, I have been calling up because I have retired and on a fixed income. They have been lowering my bill. I will have to call them again and see if they will keep lowering it for me. ADT would be a good company to get with if you could get the right price.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

I've called ADT three times and they've been fantastic. The system is set up for the doors and the windows. I set the alarm when I leave and unset it when I come home. The benefit is that I get a break on my house insurance.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

I’m satisfied with ADT. Their response is very quick. I like that I can see what is going on even if I’m out.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

When I moved into my house, I had the system installed and the guy did good. The features are good too. The only thing, the doorbell camera is not as good. The installer did something about it when I got it, and it was the best it could be. Other than that, it shows the quality and stuff is good. When I leave the house, when I'm away from the house and when I'm at home, ADT alerts me if something ain’t right. It's a good system.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

Everything's good with ADT. Their system is simple to maneuver and operate.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

The guy who came was very informative. He seemed to know what he was talking about, and he was very polite. He said, “Oh, you have a lovely home.” I moved in a week before, and my house was stacked with boxes. He was very nice, and I'm very happy with the system. It made it easy to know what was going on. I live alone, and I felt I needed something.

ADT Company Information