4.1/5 (568 ratings)

About ADT

ADT provides home security and alarm systems with features like entry sensors, motion detection, smoke alarms and leak detectors to help ensure your home, family and belongings are protected from intruders and environmental disasters. The company offers professionally installed systems available with top-of-the-line equipment for intrusion detection, video monitoring and smart-home automation.

Pros

• Variety of products
  • Reliable service
  • Smart-home connectivity
  • Six-month money-back guarantee

Cons

• Limited video capabilities
  • Installation cost

Bottom Line

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart-home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. With ADT Pulse, the system can be connected to Amazon Alexa and your smart-home devices.

ADT Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

We had good experience with ADT so we signed up again and it was a good experience. The installation went very smoothly. We're happy with the system.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

I wasn’t expecting that it was going to be an all-day process. I had a lot to install but I would have wanted to have been prepared a little bit more for the length of time it took. Still, everything was great with ADT. Everything works. I like the convenience of it being on my phone. There are no glitches on the app and I don’t have any problems right now. Hopefully, never.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

I have ADT service on three different properties. For the one in Waxhaw, the sales guy was nice but he guy missed a couple things. We had to have three different technicians come and get it all done. It was not the best experience. We had trouble codes as a result of three sensor failures for about a month that prompted various phone calls from ADT saying there was a trouble signal at my house but there wasn't. It works now but I had to pay more money and have some more time getting techs out there. It's also hit-or-miss with their reps. You get good people, and you get people who don't wanna do much.

ADT response

Hello Heather. We're so sorry for the troubles you've had and the frustrations its caused. We're happy to hear though that the issues were resolved. Please feel free to reach out to our team at 1-800-238-2727 should you need any further assistance. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2022

I moved to another residence close to the original one and the reps told me to leave all the equipment there. They misled me and I ended up having to purchase all new equipment. I didn't want to pay for all new equipment and I asked the person why I couldn’t just take it down. I was told that they wouldn't let me install it or the techs wouldn't install and I should use the equipment because I could damage it taking it out. It was a couple of screws and everything was wireless. When the technician came out, I asked him about that and he told me that was a bunch of bull and they do that to everybody.

The only reason I still have ADT is because of the contract. I'm not happy with their service or their pricing. I've had much better deals for better service with ADT equipment that offer incentives and free equipment. It cost me several hundred dollars and the only reason I did it is because it was cheaper than paying out the remaining two years on the contract. The service itself is great, as far as the functionality and response time. I have set it off a couple times accidentally myself over the years and they immediately called. But their price is not competitive with other things that are out there now. And they lock you into a contract.

ADT response

Hello Ricky. We are terribly sorry to hear of this experience and the frustrations its caused. ADT does not relocate equipment from one location to the next. If the customer qualifies, they are given a relocation credit towards a new system in the new home. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2022

ADT is so far, good. The security in the house is good.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

I like all the features in my ADT system and I feel more protected since I’ve had it.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

It worked out with the ADT reps. I'm an old lady and I don't see and hear well but they were patient with me. The gentleman who did the installation was very nice and generous with us.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

I had a very good experience with representatives and I’m very satisfied with the ADT package. The system has been great so far. We have felt much more secure and comfortable leaving the home now than we were before.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

The sales experience was horrific. People will tell you anything. Half of what the rep said we were gonna get when the technician showed up was gonna be extra. So it was a real bait and switch kind of sales tactic. We were gonna cancel and the technician contacted his manager at the home office that was local here and they agreed to what we were told we were getting for the stated price without adding on. The technician told me that they face this all the time and that customers are so angry when they get there and find out everything the salesman said wasn't true.

It would be better if the sales were made at the local level and not corporate because those people don't really care. In Virginia, somebody actually came to our house and assessed our needs and we did the contract right then and there. That was a way better system than calling some corporate salesperson and all he wanted was to add a sale.

The system is working fine but the tech put in a backdoor camera that never worked. I had to call my internet provider and have them data dump my modem to prove that there were no outages on my internet, my modem that would cause the camera not to work most of the time. Plus, they plugged that camera in on my porch. So if you're the bad guy and you want to disable the camera, you just reach down and unplug it. The technician I talked to later on said it shouldn't have been done outside anyway because of the elements. It was an immense hassle to get any kind of resolution.

Finally, during the last visit, we just took it out and they refunded the money because there was no way that they were ever gonna get it to work. The technicians were all very nice and professional but the installation was a shoddy job. ADT is still a reputable company but there are still some flaws. I asked them in many calls trying to get my issue resolved if there was a consumer advocacy where I could give feedback and they said there was none. So they cut me off and led me to believe that there was no way I could talk to anybody at ADT about the problems that I faced.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

The ADT sales rep was persistent and held his commitments. Our closing was delayed several times and he was very good about checking in to see how we were coming along with it. He called and followed up with us once we got close and gave us time to get settled. Then he came in, had a meeting with us and we decided to go with him because of the experience he provided by his commitment to stay in touch with us. Also, ADT had been around for a long time and I focused a lot on that. Aside from that, I want quality products, which ADT has. It eased my decision because of the history that they've been around.

The only problem I have with ADT is there's a lot of reps out there that offer different level incentives. So, it wasn't consistent on their offerings across the board. If you sign up with this rep, you may get a cheaper monitoring rate because after we signed the contract, I started getting some more advertisements from ADT reps who were offering to give either discounted products or free cameras. But the installation was very quick. With all the delays because a COVID, I was expecting a much longer wait. After we signed the contract, they were out there to install the next day. They were very quick and there were no issues with the system. I'm an Apple guy so I would like everything tied in with my apple home kit but the ADT product is a stand-alone app. So, I can't control it from my home kit. I have to use their app to make it work. The ADT system is compatible with Smart Home stuff but not on the only Apple side.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

I had ADT and had a bad experience then went to AVS. AVS was fine for some time and then they decided to try to take advantage of me, because we started having trouble with the alarm system. I went back to ADT and asked them to come out. And they said, “Everything is fine. I don't know why they're trying to get you to replace it. You don't need to. We might have to replace one little thing, but on a whole, we can make this work.” And they did. There were a couple of other issues, but they’ve come back and they fixed them. The package I got works and it's simple. I'm happy and also my wife is happier since having the system and that's all that matters to me.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

I'm left wondering how much sites and fake reviewers are making from giving ADT a good review. Seems like their money is going into false advertising instead of quality equipment and service. ADT is my biggest buyer's regret I have ever experienced. I purchased thousands of dollars of equipment and only one item works and that is a camera that's setup over my garage that's powered by an extension cord they ran instead of the readily available power junction box near it. The front doorbell camera doesn't work. The door and window sensors fell off after a month because they apply them with sticky double sided tape. Thermal fire sensors go off randomly even if there is no temperature deviation causing the fire department to come to my house. The main console sometimes goes out for months then turns on for a month during the on times the alarm goes off even if you set it to disabled.

For the 3 years I've had it they refused to send someone to fix these problems or even change the batteries, until a 45 days out from end of contract. That employee of theirs threw a fit when he realized he might have to do some work and was trying to move the show up date every time it got close to being the day he would have to do his job.

ADT locks you into a steel clad contract where if you cancel you still have to pay for the entirety of the contract. I contacted them about not wanting to renew the contract and they informed me over the phone that I have on day to cancel it from auto renewing for another three years and it's towards the end of the contract, it's exactly 30 days out. If it's one day earlier it doesn't count and if it's one day after it's auto renewed for another 3 years non negotiable and I'd have to pay for another 3 years no matter what. All the real people I meet who have had ADT despise it as much as I do and there are no good reviews on the only seemingly honest rating site BBB, all 1 stars except for the random 1 in 200 who rated it 2 stars. If you don't want buyers regret like me find a different service.

ADT response

Hello Brian. We apologize for any frustration this has caused you. We have escalated your concerns to our local team and have requested they contact you directly. Thank you!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

Having ADT has been the worst purchase of my life. There is a reason why they make you sign a 3 year contract. Their cameras don't pick up 90% of activity. They have been to my house twice and have been called 5 times for this issue. You are stuck for 3 years paying for something that you are not using. My car was broken into and it was parked right in front of ADT camera and didn't pick up activity and didn't record. I've had ring and it was amazing it even would pick up the wind.

ADT response

Hi Odetta- We're so sorry to hear about the break-in that you experienced with your car. We located your account and can see that you spoke to Mary who helped you terminate your services. We'd love to earn a chance at inspecting the camera(s) for you and fixing any issues at no cost if you could connect with us directly at AlwaysThere@adt.com.

Stay safe!

- Mazen

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

I'm pleased with the ADT system. It's doing the job that they said it would do.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

I like the customer service. The tech during installation was cool.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

I’ve been more than pleased with the service of ADT. I was hoping to get some more equipment eventually. I really liked the doorbell cam. It's super clear. I love the alerts that I get for the motions on it. I can tell when the kids are coming or going, especially now that I'm watching them by myself. It’s much easier to keep track of them when they're in the house. I love the smartphone app, too. I'm in bed, and I forget to set the alarm, I just do it from my phone. The customer service has been fantastic as well. They've taken care of me every time I called. The wait times were a little long. But, that's to be expected anytime.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

The ADT system is good and friendly. However, it was confusing when I was looking to change the code. They sent a technician. One guy came and he asked me everything. The second guy came and he was asking me the same thing. It was supposed to be on their systems. But, the job got done. I would definitely recommend ADT.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

I'm happy with ADT, and I'd recommend it.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

We had a new version of ADT installed in our new home after being with this company over 10 years for basic monitoring. The cameras via the app do not work. A technician came out about a week ago. Same issue. What's the point of paying for a service/equipment that does not work? That's the whole point! Save your time and money. Pick a different alarm system. ADT has disappointed a long time customer.

ADT response

Christina- We're terribly sorry to learn of this frustrating situation! Our team would like to address any outstanding concerns you may be experiencing with the services if you could please email our team at alwaysthere@adt.com with more information about this issue with your camera and the full address in which the services are located. ~ Thank you

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

The ADT tech that came out was a fine gentleman. ADT is easy to control. Our biggest problem was, if you hold the door open too long, you'll get a call. I set it up a certain way every night. But that was the main thing. I'm quite happy with it at this point in time.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

Everything’s been good with ADT. The representative was very helpful, detailed and personable. I didn’t feel like I was talking to just a regular rep. I felt like he had my best interest at heart. It was the same way with the installer. The guy was very professional, explained everything to me, and got us set up with everything we needed. He was great.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

It didn't go well with the first guy that came out. Then, I called ADT and they were able to continue my service. They sent someone out and that guy was great. He explained all of the equipment and made it simple and easy. He also made sure he tested everything.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2022

We just got ADT. It's probably been about a month now and I'm a little confused on the contract because I got billed $90 and then, I got billed another 50. The installation took a long time. But I liked the guy who installed it. He was very n ice and explained things thoroughly.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2022

It all started very well. I spoke with a gentleman on the phone and he promised me the world. The initial presentation was amazing. Then the technician came and realized that he couldn't offer me what I wanted because the system I had in the house was completely different. He spent almost four and a half hours here fiddling with things and finally installing the equipment. But he didn't have a sensor, which I required because we had to change the plan to update it, and he left.

When I followed up, I was on hold for an hour. This woman got on the phone and she put me on hold every single time for 10, 15 minutes. The initial invoice they sent me doesn't match the report the technician sent me. I asked if they could send me the invoice that matches and she put me on hold. She was upsetting me. She couldn't answer one question I have, she hadn't scheduled a technician to come, and I don't see the $200 credit applied to my service. She started explaining to me how it was applied and I couldn't understand the terminology. She put me on hold again. As sweet as she was, I've never seen anything like that before.

I paid them in full after it was installed and I still don't have the sensor I'm paying for. I still don't have a $200 credit and I don't have time to get on the phone and be jerked around again. ADT is the most reputable company in the United States and this is what they did to me. They've killed my enthusiasm for my new home and its protection. Besides all that, I'm very happy.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2022

The first tech who came out for the installation was putting up the sensors and then he realized that I didn't have Wi-Fi. He couldn't connect the cameras. He said to give them a callback and schedule an appointment once I have Wi-Fi and they would come back and install the camera. But that wasn't the case. They ended up closing out that order and I had to pay double. It was an out of pocket expense that I was not informed and it was unfair because as a customer, he should’ve informed us.

Also, the rep said that this will be financed but when the second tech came to put up the four cameras that I originally was quoted, he was saying I got to pay, $1,200 out of pocket. I told him I thought this was financed and he said it was not. I was pretty peed off. And then I was transferred five times. I went through many transfers till I got to the fifth person who finally took the time out to help me. Everyone else put me on hold or they hung up.

But the second tech who came out has an IT background and he was very knowledgeable. He noticed that I have an eero and that eero was not connected. It wasn't even on. He informed me that I should have two eero boxes and I showed him where they were. He went ahead and he connected my eero. Once he did, he was able to disconnect the Wi-Fi router and showed me which is now my Wi-Fi. He educated me and let me know why things should be the way that it is. He was more so an instructor teaching me things that I really didn't know.

ADT response

We're so terribly sorry to learn of this unacceptable experience you've had as a member of the ADT family! We would love to address these issues with you further. If you could please email our team directly at Alwaysthere@adt.com with the full address in which the services are located and the account details along with your post for further assistance.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

I've had ADT before. This time, the technician seemed like an expert. It was like he's been doing this for a while. Then he went over the options and pricing with me and he got it done pretty quickly.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

Dan, the rep from ADT, was good. The system could have been a little better if, when someone comes in my door, I know they’re coming in here. The voices are low and sometimes, you can’t hear it.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

I owned a business for 20 years and I used ADT there. When I sold my business, I thought it would be a good idea to get them in my home because I never really had a problem with my business. But their service didn't really carry over as well. They should have better customer service. The other day, I called them. I was on the phone for three and a half hours to fix an issue. None of it got fixed because they hung up on their side. They understood what the issue was but they never figured it out. Also, they're supposed to send me a Visa gift card for 200 bucks for signing up and I never got it. I’m pretty unhappy.

When considering security options, shop around. Nowadays, you can just purchase technology and install it yourself. There are a lot more internet services out there that are easier to install and are cheaper. I'll probably consider that option next time so I don’t have to deal with the person on the other side. I was completely hustled by the salesperson. They promised me a price. None of it was true.

ADT response

Hello Shengara, Thank you for the review, we have sent you a private response. Thank you!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

I used to have ADT before in that same town when I was there, and I liked it. I got the ADT system for my mom and we haven't had problems with it yet. She has the Google system with the doorbell cameras. She has three cameras outside and she also has sensors. She feels a little more at ease and everything's been good.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

I moved into this place and they already had the ADT hooked up. I tried to get the service restarted. I got the ADT service but it wasn't what all was included when I called and tried to set it up. It was supposed to come with a new system but I never got any of the new stuff that they were promoting. There was a promotion going on involving the doorbell with the camera. That's was what I was signing up for.

In the end, ADT just set up the old system and basically turned that on. I've been trying to call and try to make sure there's someone who can come back out to give me the things that I was wanting. I tried three times and no one was able to help me. They said they will call me back but no one has. ADT is just demanding money from me to pay even though this isn't the system that I agreed upon.

ADT Company Information