Call toll free
1.54/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

When you consider home security, consider who you want to be by your side when selecting 24/7 security services. ADT not only offers the best in home security and alarm systems, but for over 140 years ADT continues to remain the name for the most tested, trusted and proven security systems available to you. ADT home security can help safeguard you, your family and everything you have worked so hard for from an uncertain world. Learn about 24/7 security services that can help protect your home, your family, and everything you own - call us today!

ADT Video
ADT Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

8110 ADT Consumer Reviews

View 5 featured reviews
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I used ADT for decades and needed to change my phone number associated with my account from a home number to a cell number. They sent a technician to my house to make this change at my expense. Then they had me sign a 3 year contract without explaining that it was a 3 year contract. I didn't change anything about my service except my phone number so there was no reason for a 3 year contract, especially since I had been a customer for decades.

But then I unexpectedly needed to move 7 months before my contract was over and since I'm in a temporary rental, I don't want ADT until I move into my new house in 6-9 months. ADT charged me nearly $200 to cancel a contract that was unnecessary to begin with. When I called to dispute the charge, they refused. I don't think that's a way to treat a customer of nearly 20 years if you want to keep their business. I was planning to use ADT in my new home but will not now that I understand that they are too big a company to care about the actual people they sell their services to.

ADT response

Hello Julie- We are sorry to hear of the experience that you have had. We are happy to help. We have located your account and requested a refund for the termination fees that were paid. Please allow 5-7 business days for the refund. If you are in need of additional assistance please reach out to us at alwaysthere@adt.com. -Jackie

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

I had ADT at my home of 17 years for the majority of that time. When I sold my home in May, I called ADT along with all of my other utility providers to cancel services when I moved in May. I've received a bill at my new house for the service at my old house that was never cancelled and which ADT now will not assist me in any way to resolve. Not only do they state I never called but that my cancellation on my account now will terminate next month. Completely unacceptable people on the phone right now and I was transferred 3 times only to reach Joseph in Relocation who literally refused to help me or pass me along to someone who would help me. I will NEVER have ADT as a security provider again, NEVER! I will be filing complaints anywhere I can until someone within ADT begins to help me resolve.

ADT response

Hello Jeri- We are sorry to hear of the experience that you have had. We are happy to backdate the cancellation on the account to June of this year. Please send us an a letter of cancellation and include in the letter your name, previous address, reason for cancellation and signature. -Jackie

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

Defenders Security Company is the authorized dealer of ADT services and products (in multiple states). This company not only did unauthorized transactions on my credit card without providing any service, but also did a hard inquiry on my credit report and has technically stolen my identity using the information I provided forcing me to freeze and close an account in good standing. ADT continues to support this business by keeping it as a preferred licensed and authorized vendor just because they make money for them through these forced and fraudulent sales tactics.

Calling ADT is of no use even though these transactions are done using ADT's name and they themselves licensed Defenders to do so. The lack of action by ADT is appalling even with no shortage of consumer complaints and reviews for this in review sites such as yelp or BBB. Thanks but no thanks to ADT, I will continue to complain and inform other people on all available forums until this company ceases to exist.

ADT response

Hello Amit- We're truly sorry to hear of the trouble with your ADT Authorized Dealer. We would be more than happy to review this with you further if you could email our team direct with a reference to your review and the address in which the system is located.~ Eileen

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I called to cancel my service and at the beginning they told me that I had to wait for 10 minutes to talk to an agent and I waited for One hour 30 minutes and hanged up because I thought that they connected me with the wrong number. I called back and told me that the waiting time was 7 minutes. However, I waited for 30 minutes and hanged up once again. When I called back I was very frustrated.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I purchased an ADT home alarm system when I moved home after active duty. Installation went great but if course it ended up totaling more than I agrees to pay when initially calling to set up service. Called to verify my contract would be ending soon and customer service showed me where to check online. After my contract ended, it went to month to month and I called to cancel because I no longer wanted service. The representative never told me I needed to be transferred to a different department and here 8 months later now my account has been suspended for none payment instead of actually cancelled it my request.

After being placed on hold by billing for 30 minutes, the department they transferred me to was wrong (it was defender the company they use for installation), I was placed on hold again for 20 more minutes after she realized she could not help me. Then I was transferred to accounts management who stated she needed to discuss this matter with billing (the department I started in). After 1 hour and 3 months of charges I didn't know I had for an account I attempted to close, nothing was done and it was suspended for none payment.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

I got my ADT system put in April 2019. As soon as I got it installed - I began having problems. Long story short - the initial tech that came out didn't check to see if our doorbell actually worked. So after having 2 different techs come out and the ADT office sending me some weird white small router boxes - the last tech that came out figured out that the wiring in my house is messed up and that I would need to hire a licensed electrician. I figured I could keep the system if I kept recharging out doorbell camera, but that got old very quickly. I had to keep charging almost every other day. And I didn't want to hire an electrician to rewire my house because that would cost thousands of dollars which I do not have. So I called them back and wanted to cancel the whole thing altogether. My purpose of even getting the security system was for the doorbell camera.

I called and spoke with Rashida and she said "Oh great, you're within the 6 months moneyback guarantee so I will get it scheduled for the master tech to come out and declare that ADT cannot rewire the home and you should get a full refund." She told me that she could have the master tech come out the next day 8/1/2019 between 11am and 3pm. So the next day rolls around, I plan my day around the time frame. 1pm rolls around and I call them just to check and make sure that the tech will be there. The representative answers and says "Let me call the tech and see where he is at," then he comes back on the line and said "He'll be there right at 3."

Okay, that's fine. I will run my errands when he leaves. 3:15 rolls around and he is still not here. I call back and the representative says "Let me call to see what is going on." He comes back on the line and said, "The tech that was supposed to come out has cancelled and given the job to another tech. Let me call him..." He then tells me that the second tech will be there in 90 minutes. SO NOW I HAVE WASTED MY ENTIRE AFTERNOON TO FIND OUT THAT THEY HAVE PUSHED MY APPOINTMENT. And my biggest question is -- was anyone going to call me and tell me??!!! I had to call to find out.

So at this point I am irate. I tell the representative the whole situation and how I want to cancel because I am not paying all this money on something that isn't working correctly due to the mistake of THEIR OWN TECHNICIAN. So he is super understanding and schedules it for Friday 8/2 at 8am. He reads through the notes and tells me the same thing that Rashida tells me. That it should be taken care of and that he'll send out the master tech. So Friday 8/2/19 8am rolls around. I am up and waiting for the tech to show up because I need to be out of the house by 9:30am.

8:30am rolls around and STILL NO TECH. So I call again... TURNS OUT THAT THERE IS NO APPOINTMENT SET.

This new representative tells me "Oh it is NOT possible to get a refund and you cannot cancel your contract unless you pay it out ($1700). We can send someone out there and take the camera back... and we can lower your payment fro $58/month to $52/month." HAHA WHAT AN ** JOKE. So because your techs screwed up, now I am being punished. I DO NOT WANT THE SYSTEM UNLESS I HAVE THE DOORBELL CAMERA. If the tech had done his job correctly then I would not be in this situation.

So then I ask to speak with a manager, and of course she tells me the same thing. I am just so angry because they offer such little for a customer that is now stuck in a contract because they have incompetent techs. It shouldn't have taken 3 different techs to figure out that the wiring in my house is messed up. Then I asked if I can downgrade to the lowest plan $27/month. And she said, "NO you are not allowed to downgrade after 30 days of installation." Bottom line - don't use ADT. They do not help and they want to make sure that they get paid even when their employees screw something up. Oh...and it's a 3 year contract.

Original review: July 31, 2019

I was very happy with the response time to come set up the system. The agent came to my home and was very smooth talking, made me feel like I was making the right choice. This is where my satisfaction with this company ends (sensors fell off walls, power outages left me unprotected, etc). This ended up costing me way more than I had in mind; however, I felt stuck because of the cancelation fee. When I decided to sell my house and move I called to transfer the service, at first this seemed easy. Two weeks after I had moved I still had not received the package that I was promised to begin setting up my system at my new location. When my husband called to figure out what was going on, the agent told us that we had to go through another company to get the services we wanted.

My husband asked if we could get out of our contact for this reason. The response was that we could cancel at any time, husband asked if there would be a fee associated with the cancelation. The agent explained that since we moved it was more like starting a new contract so no cancelation fee would be charged, so we decided to cancel. A month later we received a bill for over $700! I called to find out why and was informed that since I canceled that was my fee. No contract was produced to verify what the agreement was and when I tried to discuss this issue the agent repeated over and over "that is not what our notes say."

I was told that if I signed up for new services that they would refund my $700 a month after my new services began. I declined because I am concerned that this company has not proven themselves to be trustworthy and I am afraid that they will find a way to charge me even more. I decided to review my bank statements again to make sure there were no other issues and I found that the company double charged me for a month that I did not receive services. I am concerned that I will have to cancel my accounts because they do not notify their customers of charges. They simply charge the account.

ADT response

Hello Leanne- We are happy to address the concerns. Please provide us with your account information and include your phone number and address.

Original review: July 31, 2019

I have been customer of them since 9 + years. All this time very few times I used the ADT security, since the area I lived we didn’t need it but just my wife told me that’s why we got the ADT. Now after 13 year I am moving to new home. I called them and asked to canceled the service. The representative asked why I want cancel it. I told I am moving and if you match the same price I would love to take the service to my new home, but they said they can’t. I asked them to cancel the service. They said I am in contract so I have to pay $700 and some change for terminate the contract. I did I never signed any contract.

They said I did, so I asked them to email me, the contract they emailed me that I signed on 2010. I told them it’s 2010. They said last year 2018 I did verbally. I said, "Really? Since you guys record the all call pls go through it and let me know." They said, "supervisor will call you back in 24 to 48 hr." Nobody call me back. Again I call them after 48hr. Same story, then put me on hold for 30 min+. Then I call again. Same thing. Right now I am on phone and they put me on hold. I am really fed up. I would go to consumer protection. Such a bad company, Don’t recommend at all.

Original review: July 30, 2019

It's probably naive of me looking back to think that I could subscribe to a service without a contract and to be fair I haven't been robbed yet so I guess my satisfaction should be 100%. My house also hasn't burned down and I haven't yet succumbed to carbon monoxide either. The problem is that I did get cancer which forced me to reorganize my finances and despite only being 4.5 months into what I later found out was a 3 year contract, I was unable to get out of it without a severe penalty. I guess this is the world we live in now.

I think I am more annoyed that I called the customer service number and was transferred a couple of times while being forced to listen to fear-mongering propaganda suggesting the zombie apocalypse is upon us and ADT is the only thing keeping the world in order. Then I had to haggle with the rep, poor thing, obviously indoctrinated by the organization and reading a script. Long story short, they hustled me into a long term contract which comes at a huge penalty. I doubt anyone will notice another 1 star review because their aggregate is barely 1.5 stars so...buyer beware. Better off going with Comcast or just a really big dog.

Original review: July 30, 2019

The ADT system is pricey but comes with ample resources in the way of customer service and field technician support although self-service on the system is limited with many of the configuration programming and interfacing with the system being counterintuitive as well as, without obvious self-service help resources unavailable or, at least, not obviously intuitively available.

ADT Company Information