4.1/5 (560 ratings)

About ADT

ADT provides home security and alarm systems with features like entry sensors, motion detection, smoke alarms and leak detectors to help ensure your home, family and belongings are protected from intruders and environmental disasters. The company offers professionally installed systems available with top-of-the-line equipment for intrusion detection, video monitoring and smart-home automation.

Pros

• Variety of products
  • Reliable service
  • Smart-home connectivity
  • Six-month money-back guarantee

Cons

• Limited video capabilities
  • Installation cost

Bottom Line

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart-home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. With ADT Pulse, the system can be connected to Amazon Alexa and your smart-home devices.

ADT Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: March 25, 2022

ADT's customer service is very good. The first time, the system was all set up by itself and the second time, the system was set up not very long. It's a very good system. If you need help, all you have to do is hit the button.

Original review: March 24, 2022

It’s not complicated. I flip homes, install ADT. This time I call to schedule cancellation for the homes selling and I’m told to pay $1400. After the installation I was scammed into signing a service contract that nobody mentioned. It’s shady, and the other products out there are just as good. Avoid ADT.

ADT response

Hi Blair. The contracts are docu sign agreements that are emailed to the customer, opened, electronically signed and emailed back. The path of the contract though email is tracked using the IP address for validation. When the email for the docu sign is opened, that is your opportunity to review what you are electronically signing. Our terms and conditions are outlined in detail for all of our customers. Our apologies, however ADT does not waive contract fees associated with flipper accounts. At this time, this balance would be valid.

Original review: March 12, 2022

The sales and installation were perfect. The system works fast normally. Everything is good.

Original review: March 11, 2022

There have been a couple of snags along the way, but our experience with the ADT reps has been mostly positive. During COVID, they did not have adequate staff to man their call centers. So, when the alarm was triggered, they never called me. I eventually got a notice when I got into an area that had cell service, and I called them. Their excuse was they didn't have sufficient staff and I was somewhere in the queue, but that was 30 minutes later.

As far as the system, there have been issues when they replaced the core module where it would say that it had low battery, or that it wasn't connected to the electrical AC outlet, and it still was. The representatives on the phone told me, “Oh, it's a separate device.” The field tech said the representatives didn't know what they were talking about. He examined it and couldn't find the problem. He just had it reset. We still had a couple of times when that's occurred. Also, the first day it went live, it was programmed incorrectly. They've also had to switch out one or two other sensors since that point. Other than that, it mostly does what it's supposed to do.

Original review: March 10, 2022

The technician that came out was a very knowledgeable young man. He was very good at whatever he did. He did it very fast and efficiently.

Original review: March 9, 2022

ADT has been helpful to provide the kind of information that I requested. We're in a rural area, and so we had to make adjustments to do what we needed to make it fit our system. I've been pleased because some areas are unable to get what they need because of the lack of internet service. We were very fortunate that they could work with us to get us what we needed. Having this system, there's an overall positive feeling to know that you've got something to back you up if you're not there. It's a really good feeling to have something that can access you anywhere. We got the app and it prompts us if we don't turn it on or if a door opens and stays open too long. If there's a door that doesn't normally open, it prompts you and lets you know that there's an unusual door opening and if somebody is at the house and you aren't there. Sometimes my kids are here, so it's nice to know that it even pays attention to that as well. It provides other information, too.

Original review: March 8, 2022

ADT partner SafeHaven is an absolute nightmare and ADT's Relocation Manager Emily** more than willing to **-the consumer over to make her pockets even bigger. The security cameras that were just installed are not compatible with T-mobile internet. So, I have no security cameras, the panel that was installed keeps turning off and I constantly need to do a hard reset every time.

ADT you need to do better as you are accountable for your partners and allowing them to get over on your customers is absolutely atrocious. I'm stuck in this contract, not even a month into it with a non-working panel and no cameras. Read. Please know that I do like ADT as they have protected my CA home for over 3+ years, but dealing with their partners in my recent home purchase has been draining. RESEARCH and ASK the agent if this is through ADT or a partner.

ADT response

Hi Danae- We're so sorry for the trouble with your panel and cameras. We reached out to the upper management at your local dealership on your behalf. Please expect a follow-up within business hours.

- Mazen

Original review: March 8, 2022

The salesman recommended product after product, but he wouldn't give me a price per unit. It's obvious that he did that intentionally ‘cause I'm assuming that that probably dissuades some people. If you want the total protection, it does get pricey. Maybe the way he went about the presentation works for some people, but it bothered me the way he kept dancing around the price until I finally said, “Either give me a price or just stop your whole presentation.” That's when he went ahead and gave me the price per unit, which didn't stop me from buying. I ended up spending 3,000 bucks that I wasn't planning on spending. I could have said no, but it makes sense to have the system, so I don't blame him.

It was simple getting the system installed. ADT was pretty good about it. They got me on the schedule right away and taken care of, and so far, everything's going well. For some reason though, every once in a while, some of the units go offline. I get the message on my phone then it'll say back online. I don't know why it does that, and I don't like that part. On one of the units, it's almost daily, and it's one of the carbon monoxide detectors. I haven't called it in though. The guy that I talked to gave me his number. If I have any questions or problems, to give him a call, but I haven't. The system is in a house that I don't live in right now and I hadn't had any false alarms but then nobody's going in and out of the house either.

Original review: March 7, 2022

I'm not enjoying ADT. Anytime that I walk outdoors without turning the alarm off, there's no phone call like my previous alarm company. If I suddenly cut it off, I get a phone call saying, “Hey, your alarm has been activated. Are you okay?” With ADT, the alarm has gone off several times accidentally, but there was not one phone call that I can recall. As far as customer service, they do what they're trained to do. They are helpful to a certain point. They only can do so much. The price keeps going up, too. For what I have in the service, and how long I've been with them, there weren't any perks for long-term customers. I am going with someone else as soon as this month is over.

Original review: March 6, 2022

ADT sent our equipment by UPS and we installed it ourselves. It was easy. I would just like to get another camera. I love ADT's customer service.

Original review: March 5, 2022

I stopped ADT’s services because I'm in assisted living now, and they have their own. The service was good when I had it. Right away, their reps would answer. They explained everything, too. Everything was good.

Original review: March 4, 2022

We had a horrible experience with ADT last week. Somebody came over the fence and I was on the phone with a gentleman for two hours. He sat and could see me on all four cameras. But when I get on my mother's laptop, we only have access to see one camera and that's in the family room. There's a camera on the porch and my mother is putting $3,000 worth of new screening and shutters in because she can't get access to her cameras, and she feels unsafe. She's having to hire somebody for overnight shifts. She hasn't slept in five days. She is so scared in her house and she is paying for a security system. The police and the firemen came again last night. They're gonna end up calling and saying that my mother's crazy.

Last night, it would not work. The code would not go in. Speaking to the gentleman, I was standing in the yard. There's a camera on the porch. It's pointed right where the gentleman supposedly came over the fence. I was standing right where she said that she saw him come over and the gentleman said he could see me. I asked if he could pull up the footage. I gave him the exact time within a 15-minute frame. He said he was not allowed to do that. He told me that there's a link I need to go to. He tried sending it to me four times but it would not work. I don't understand why I can access one camera and not all four. I said, "Can someone please come out here and sit down with me?" He said their technicians don't do that.

They accept the check from my mother every month, but when I was asking them for technical support for someone to come out to the house and help me, they said no. The only way someone will come out is if I said I wanted to order more cameras. I need to get on the phone with them again today and try this all over again. It's ridiculous.

ADT response

We're so terribly sorry to learn of this experience you've had as a member of the ADT family! We would love to address these issues with you further. If you could please email our team directly at Alwaysthere@adt.com with the full address in which the services are located and the account details along with your post for further assistance.

Original review: March 3, 2022

Contacted ADT for a top of the line security service system including camera monitoring. They were very quick and eager to SELL their system. However, support is an entirely different matter. Once they have you online, they will steadfastly refuse to support any faulty/failing equipment, saying "well you have a contract," without offering any viable solutions. My camera systems with a moderate internet system installed in the home fail to monitor anything DAILY. Techs have been to the house, but have never resolved the problem. Trying to work with the sales/service department was tantamount to talking to a wall. Good luck if you use ADT...Try someone else first.

ADT response

Hi James! Thanks for the review, our apologies to read of your disappointment and troubles! Are the cameras going offline, or are they failing to record motion clips when the activations are set? If the cameras are going on and offline, this perhaps could be related to the Wi-Fi strength or network issues. If they are missing recording opportunities, this could be a camera issue, or setting malfunction. If the cameras need service, we would be happy to get a tenured experienced tech to the home. Please give us a call back at 1 800 238 2727 so we can get this resolved ASAP. Thank you!

Original review: March 3, 2022

My experience when I reached out to ADT was all right. I went through step by step to make sure I knew what they were charging me for because sometimes, the advertisements are a bit misleading. But it would be easier if they charge customers half of the fee on the first of the month and then charge the second half on the second half of the month.

Resolution response: March 3, 2022

After reaching out to the team of ADT via Twitter, we were able to reach a resolution. The customer service of Andrew over Twitter was some of the best I have experienced. Andrew was able to defuse the situation, review all of the details, offer an acceptable solution, and offered the situation to be reviewed by an ADT manager for further training opportunities.

It is my hope that this level of customer service can make it to the telephone lines, however, ADT did reach out very quickly after I messaged them, and was able to resolve my confusing issue quickly. Thank you for your efforts. I hope this response can help someone moving forward!

Original review: March 2, 2022

I called ADT to schedule a relocation. The employee I spoke with Joann ** (Rep ID no. **) cancelled our old account resulting in a cancellation charge of over $500, created a new account that had zero account history with ADT and proceeded to create a new contract. During the contract creation she skipped over going over equipment charges put items into the contract that I expressly asked not to be there, and didn't offer payment options such as an installment plan for the $900 installation fee that she didn't go over with me. She sent a DocuSign link and then advised me not to read over anything and to sign it prior to the link expiring. I had to call 12+ times to get a supervisor in Account Management who then told me that even though the ADT employee disregarded protocol and processes during the contract creation it was my fault and the best he could do was to offer an installment plan.

If proper process and procedures were followed and I would have been notified at the astronomical cost of installation of equipment I would not have continued with ADT's service. I would have paid the cancellation fee outright to leave my other house because it was $400 cheaper and I would not have an alarm system. ADT needs to make this right, because currently you're making me pay for a mistake that was made on the business side. It's not right and I will review your company on every site I can create an account on to let everyone know of these shady practices.

ADT response

Hello Jacob. We are very sorry for the frustrating experiences. We received your concerns via other social media channels as well and its our understanding that we are having a 3 pay plan set up on the account for you. If you need further assistance, please let us know. Thank you.

Original review: March 2, 2022

ADT's service has been horribly disappointing. We were having construction done in our home. So, they were turning on the electricity and turning it off, and the system kept going off. I kept telling ADT, "We're having construction done. You're calling me all the time, telling me the alarm is going off or whatever, something's not connected right." What was so crazy is, it would be the automated system that would call me and it was like, "We'll call you back." It was an hour and a half later before anybody contacted me. If that had been a real alarm, I couldn't get a live person for over an hour and a half.

When we called, we got this automated system and it would have us wait on the line, call back or put in a number, then it would call us back. The reps also kept putting notes in, and this happened repeatedly. It was close to a dozen times before somebody made a note in it and did something so they wouldn't keep calling me during the construction period. I can't say I'm pleased with ADT's operational protocols. Because when it was Ackerman, we got a live person to call us and to deal with. We'll probably discontinue our service there with ADT. I've shared this with people multiple times too. Another thing is, when our automated payment was off by 14 cents, I even got a bill for it.

ADT response

Hi Susan! These troubles could have been prevented by placing the alarm system "on test" this can be done either through our website at myadt.com or when speaking with our team directly. Our dispatch teams are separate from the inbound calls we handle, therefore the alarm activation and response would have had no delay, in comparison to when calling in to speak with our tech support. Our apologies for any trouble!~ If any further assistance is needed, we can always be reached by calling 1 800 238 2727. Thank you!

Original review: March 1, 2022

I have experienced issues with ADT since initiating services and no amount of refund will suffice for the abysmal service and malfunctioning equipment. I had a security breach for property was stole because of the inadequate malfunction of the low standard quality cameras NOT WORKING. The extent of the issue for my property being stolen resulted in having to file a police report. I contact ADT several times starting on 2/7/22 to report the issues with the cameras (yes PLURAL), and was given a “virtual appointment” and I inquired about the need to access the camera which would be difficult given my height and the cameras being outside of my reach even with a ladder, I was told that I wouldn’t.

On the day of, I was contacted by the tech with a few minutes shy of the appointment window ending only to be informed that I was misinformed and would need to access the camera. I was then held on the phone and shifted between account management, tech, and a scheduler for an hour and 18 minutes!!! Only to be informed that while the local branch office doesn’t do weekend and the initial appointments would be TWO WEEKS OUT! I restated the security need and then told I was on a priority list for that Saturday 2/12/22. On 2/12 I was left a voicemail about an appointment during the middle of the workday on 2/17, after I informed the scheduler on 2/12 that in the med profession and working with patients schedules are set 3 months in advance.

I contacted ADT AGAIN and was informed by a rep that given my issues I qualified for a 6-month money back guarantee and to await a call from the local branch office within 2 business days. No call or voicemails, so I contacted ADT again, and the rep contacted the branch office and spoke with a person who confirmed that I had not been contacted due to the branch office being backed up and that I should receive a call within a day and that a vm would be left. Surely not the case so I contacted ADT AGAIN, and it was noted the number of times I had contacted the company and the dates were recited to me re: the SAME issue, all while my service is STILL not working. The rep put in another note for the branch office to contact me and LEAVE A VM, and nothing occurred.

Despite reps from ADT indicating that I would qualify for the 6-month money back guarantee, they recite information from the branch office stating the case is close because of new stipulations yet they are baffled given the fact the equipment has not been functional AND the dates offered are never aligned with availability given the branch not offering Saturday appointments. The branch also claims attempts to have called, yet never have and I have offered a copy of my phone records submitted directly from the phone company to prove the lies of the branch. I was finally provided the name of the branch manager for the Raleigh, NC region as “Kevin” since it appears that the numerous lies and the meandering and misleading information of the employees at the branch that is relayed to customer service reps at the central number is incongruous and causing further confusion where litigation is on the table.

It appears that there are other instances of the same issues through a legal review of consumer complaints as well, and the tactic is seemingly strategic to lock consumers in to bypass the 6-month money back “guarantee,” which is apparently NOT a guarantee. I implore all individuals to truly reconsider ADT, review the complaints about malfunctioning, LOW QUALITY CAMERAS, and DO NOT believe the claim of ADT being the “most trusted” security company. Better yet, ADT should be known as “The Most Trusted Security Co. to SCAM CONSUMERS & PERPETUATE FALSE CLAIMS, PROVIDE SUBPAR, LOW QUALITY EQUIPMENT….”

If ADT has an issue with this review, please bypass the whole “we are sorry our service, blah, blah, blah.” I thankfully have kept dates, times, lengths of calls, number of times transferred, which departments and NAMES of every single person, submitted to my lawyer because this issue is now escalated. Who knows if a class action lawsuit is already in the works or will be given the consistent consumer complaints between BBB, this site and so many others. ADT is a disreputable joke. Save your money and go with another company.

ADT response

We're so terribly sorry to learn of this unacceptable experience you've had as a member of the ADT family! We would love to address these issues with you further. If you could please email our team directly at Alwaysthere@adt.com with the full address in which the services are located and the account details along with your post for further assistance.

Original review: March 1, 2022

I had ADT before, then there were some problems and I kept telling them that the cameras weren't working. I called ADT and they were irritating me. I wouldn't pay the bill. Finally, they decided to send somebody out here and fix it, and I paid the bill. This last time, the install was pretty quick.

ADT response

Latonya- We're awfully sorry to hear of this upsetting experience you've had as an ADT family member! Please email our team directly at alwaysthere@adt.com if you are experiencing any outstanding issues with your system that we may assist you with. Please just include more details in regard to your concern and the full address in which the services are located within the body of the letter so we may best assist you further.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

The alarm system never worked. It would start ringing in the middle of the night because the motion sensor would lose signal with the panel. This happened multiple times a night for two months. They could not fix it and they did not show up for appoinments.

ADT response

Hello Ali. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We will us this opportunity to improve. Thank you!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

My interaction with the reps was great, and it was very helpful. ADT is a good system, and for someone who really needs it, it would be great. I'm bedridden, and there's not always someone here, but my grandson lives upstairs, and my granddaughter lives with me. After looking into it, I decided that I really didn't need it.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2022

The customer service reps were insistent and didn’t stop calling after we told them no. Besides that, it was okay. We’re still shopping around but ADT is not where we want to go.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

ADT is adopting non-ethical business practices. Their sales rep will promise that DO NOT WORRY, since you are a loyal customer for 15+ years, system upgrade will have ZERO installation fee and zero equipment fee and then you see the bill ADT is charging full installation fee and full equipment fee.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

The last house that we had had ADT. We haven't had a problem with it. We love our ADT system now in our new home. It is in a better area, but we feel safer having the protection. It's been very easy to deal with ADT's customer service. They sent someone out for us right away and he came out and tried to sell us quite a bit of stuff. He understood we did have a budget, so he didn't really try to oversell. I really hate being upselled constantly, and I didn't really feel the pressure of that. He was very thorough and gave us examples of why we need stuff. He was very patient with us. When the installer came in, we decided to change a couple things with price. He was awesome, and he wasn't very long, too. The system's been working great. We got a security camera. We're very happy with it. We constantly get notifications and it's cool.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

The installers were very helpful and did a good job. I love the ADT system. We have a two-story and I'm a very paranoid person. It's so hard to hear downstairs so, it's nice having that comfort. We're always armed and I sleep a lot better now.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

I had a system already installed, and the sales rep came and just tried to make the sale. He replaced all the sensors without need, which is fine. I agreed. However, we suffered an incident, and he said, “Well, I'll fix that. And I'm pretty sure you're going to see on the cameras who run into the house or what really happened,” but nothing. I was ripped off.

The first time the installer came, he was not able to complete the whole job. I let him work at his pace and he was working on his own then he said, “I have to go. My shift is done.” He came in around 10:00 AM and left at 5:00. I told him, “Oh, you still have to work to do because I don't see what I agree with the sales rep.” He told me, “He is gonna call you back and send another technician because I'm not familiar with the other process.”

The sales reps called me three weeks after. I had been calling the sales rep and he hasn't gotten back to me with an appointment date for one of the technicians. I sent emails, and I had been calling the 1-800 number. They just keep telling me that someone is going to call me, but nobody has called. Now, I still have some system that is not working properly. I'm totally not satisfied. I spoke with one of my friends that wanted to install ADT. I told my friend, “You know, I’ll wait. Just wait.” With what happened to me, I will not recommend ADT to anyone, unless the problem gets fixed properly and quick.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

I appreciate having a plan that I can just pay as I go so I went with ADT. I got a good package.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

The quality of the system is great and it is very up-to-date with technology. I like the quick response time that ADT has. It’s pleasing and easy on my mind. The motion sensor I have is not compatible with the ADT system though and I want to get a new one. Other than that, everything’s good.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

The customer service was great and the installation was fast and efficient. I’m happy with the quality of the system. ADT is an easy company to work with and I referred them to my uncle also. They installed it in their home.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

We called ADT and we're happy with everything, from start to finish. We did window sensors and we had already had the Ring doorbell. So, we didn’t do any additional cameras. The rep got the install done pretty quickly, and everything was great. ADT's app is really good too.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

The system I have is a little weird. It automatically calls me all the time. Sometimes it says that my system is experiencing something about power. But when I go to it, it's fine. Even with the issues that I’m having right now, ADT is a good company and they offer good service. The few times I’ve gotten broken into, they took care of it quickly. ADT responded superfast. Someone broke into the last building that I was in two times. The alarm went off and the persons got scared. The cops were on their way so they didn’t have a chance to take anything.

ADT Company Information