3.9/5 (508 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About ADT

ADT provides home security and alarm systems with features like entry sensors, motion detection, smoke alarms and leak detectors to help ensure your home, family and belongings are protected from intruders and environmental disasters. The company offers professionally installed systems available with top-of-the-line equipment for intrusion detection, video monitoring and smart-home automation.

Pros

• Variety of products
  • Reliable service
  • Smart-home connectivity
  • Six-month money-back guarantee

Cons

• Limited video capabilities
  • Installation cost

Bottom Line

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart-home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. With ADT Pulse, the system can be connected to Amazon Alexa and your smart-home devices.

ADT Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

So far, everything has been okay with ADT.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2022

The tech who installed the system was fine and the app is easy. I'd tell others to get it.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

Robbed in April, Robbed again before we could even file a report. While trying to contact ADT, I set the Alarm off, cancelled within 60 seconds, but the police and fire trucks showed up while I was on the phone with ADT. ADT was to stay on the phone while the police asked their questions, but ADT hung up. I called ADT back, but they had to escalate, and have someone call me back.

I waited 3 days, I called ADT back, but Again, they had to escalate, and have someone call me back. I waited 6 days, I called ADT back, and yet Again, they had to escalate, and have someone call me back. May came And I called again, but Again, they had to escalate, and have someone call me back. This time I said, "If no one is going to call me back, please cancel my account." June came And I called again, but Again, they had to escalate, and have someone call me back.

Aug, same pattern... In Sept, they sent me an Email that my AM EX was getting charged... So I called again, and again they said they would have to escalate and have someone call me back... I said no, "I will wait." They said, "It is a 30 minute wait." I reminded them that, "I have to wait over 45 minutes every time I call, what's another 30, I will wait," after waiting, I got another customer service person and was put on hold again. I am now filing my BBB complaint, I want my money back for every month and every penny I ever spent with ADT. I want my contract cancelled, they can come get their product and we can go our separate ways.

ADT response

We're so terribly sorry to learn of this experience you've had as a member of the ADT family! We would love to address these issues with you further. If you could please email our team directly at Alwaysthere@adt.com with the full address in which the services are located and the account details along with your post for further assistance.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

I am unhappy with ADT because I don't have any smoke detectors that work. The ones I had worked for four years but now, they're not working. ADT changed suppliers of smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. They're having supply issues with the system I have. They want me to upgrade the system and that's not quite right.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

I'm really happy with ADT. The system has been good so far.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

I like that the system is connected to the local police department and it’s responsive. It's overall a good service. One of my sensors stopped working and they told me how to replace the battery. Their customer service was helpful but something's just wrong. It works but the readout stuff doesn't show up anymore on the box itself.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

In December of 2021 I received a price increase from ADT on my 10 year old alarm system. I called to contest it and they agreed to keep the rate at the old price for three years. However, subsequent bills were at the new higher rate. I continued to pay quarterly at the old agreed upon rate. Finally I called and they admitted they agreed to the lower rate but said they could not honor it and I would have to pay the higher rate. When I asked for a supervisor they disconnected me. When I called to cancel my service they again hung up on me. If anyone thinks Comcast service is bad, ADT takes bad to a whole new level. Worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life. Corrupt way of operating.

ADT response

Hello, we apologize for any frustration this has caused you. We have escalated your concerns to Protection One and have requested they reach out to you directly. Thank you

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

We've been in ADT for many years and we like their service. It's secure. Whenever we have a problem, they send a technician out to fix it and it is probably because we are senior citizens and there are things we cannot do. The techs are very nice and always very pleasant and helpful. ADT is the way to go. Right now, our ADT system is through our Spectrum telephone and the price of Spectrum keeps on going up. To have the ADT system go through our telephone is quite costly so the way it’s going now is on a cellphone.

ADT response

We appreciate your feedback and we're so sorry to hear of the issues with your phone company! Please reach out to our team directly at 1-888-211-8563 if we may be of any assistance in upgrading you to a cellular system which would negate the need for a landline within the home as the system would send the signal via cellular tower.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

My experience with ADT has always been positive. Their system works well. It's been installed for maybe 15 years and their response has been quick and accurate. If they don't get the first number, they call the alternate number. And when I've had service issues, which have been very few, they've been very responsive. I'm very happy with ADT.

ADT response

Jim- We appreciate your feedback and thank you for being such a longtime ADT family member and for being one of the best parts of ADT!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

The ADT techs came to the house and installed the equipment that I needed and gave me prices. Since then, I've talked to people at the company a couple of times here and there and they've all been quite helpful. I'm well satisfied with the features. I feel very secure and I have not had any break-ins since I've installed ADT. I appreciate having it and would recommend it.

ADT response

Elaine- Welcome to the ADT family! Please let our specialist team know if you are ever in need of assistance directly at 1-800-238-2727. ~ Thank you

Original review: Sept. 4, 2022

I love ADT's service. It’s all user-friendly. It's on the app and I've never had any issues with it. So, it’s seamless. I use it every day and the interface on it is easy. There’s not a bunch of buttons you have to click through. You literally go in there, arm your system and disarm it as needed. The only issue I've ever had was with a sensor. I had to take it off and reapply it because it was too close to the threshold of the door so the sliding door would knock it off sometimes when closing. But it’s nothing. You just need to make sure the sensors are in the right spot when installed.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

The reps were great and I'm satisfied with the features that I got with ADT. I like it.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

I’ve had the system upgraded and had to put batteries in there. The app is convenient and ADT gives me good service.

ADT response

William- Thank you for being such a wonderful part of the ADT family and thank you for your feedback!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

I was a loyal customer to ADT with 2 home and 2 business locations. Today I cancelled my last home account and the remaining ones and switched to Ring. ADT customer service has been rude, arrogant and made me feel like I was inconveniencing them. I had an issue with my doorbell cam. They charge me $63 to come out to look at it and "fix it". It never got fixed. The issue continued through the last 6 months. When I called to initially cancel they did not even offer to take that fee off immediately. NO. When I called to cancel TODAY now they offered me a new camera and to waive that fee.

I did not break the camera, it just stopped recording. I did nothing I never even touched the settings. PLUS it took them almost 2 weeks to come out. They locked me into a contract for 3 years at my new house. My office I was so upset we actually paid the 70% or whatever it was of the remaining contract to get out of this. Crooks with horrible customer service, no follow up and hands down the worst business practices I have ever seen. They will never see a penny from me again in my home or business.

ADT response

We're so terribly sorry to learn of this unacceptable experience you've had as a member of the ADT family! We would love to address these issues with you further. If you could please email our team directly at Alwaysthere@adt.com with the full address in which the services are located and the account details along with your post for further assistance.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

USE A NEW COMPANY, THEY WILL SET YOU UP FOR FREE FOR BEING A NEW CUSTOMER. ADT told me that my move would be free and I would be given a new doorbell (since I had a ring at my old house), and my installation/equipment would be free and to leave all of my old equipment at my old house. They would install everything from my old house into my new house. In the end I got about half the protection I had and they charged me $1000. When I called to explain I was on the phone for 3 hours with 10 different people trying to get to the correct department and when I reached the right person (after saying I’d just want to cancel) it was going to cost $1100 to cancel since I was on day 7 and my “trial period” that ended day 3. Now I am locked into a contract until the end of 2025. ADVICE: get set up by a new company for free as a new customer.

At my new house the technicians installed:
- 1 alarm system with 4 sensors
- 1 auto lock for a door
- 2 smoke detectors (I added these)

- 1 google doorbell (told would be free)

At my old house I had:
- 1 alarm system with 9 sensors
- 2 auto lock for doors
- 3 area sensors
- (already had old smoke detectors)
- 2 outdoor cameras
- 1 indoor camera
- a glass break detector

- an auto light switch

ADT response

Hello, We apologize for any frustration this has caused you and your family. We believe in being transparent and our terms and conditions are listed on the last pages of the contract and when the contact is signed you agree to the terms. Thank you

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

Very professional, installation service on time, answer all my questions, feel safe in my house and protected when I am not around, videos systems works great. l like the service, l can refer the service to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

I cut the system on at night and cut it off in the morning. It comes on and goes off. So, it works. I opened the door before I cut it off. They called and asked if I was okay. I would tell anybody about ADT.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

My ADT system batteries were low and the system was beeping. I called ADT and waited, oh hold, for 45 minutes (with a promise of a 30 minute wait time). While waiting, I attempted to troubleshoot and follow website instructions. Very poorly written, I disabled the beeping on the 3 devices and was instructed to disconnect the power to the system. Although beeping stopped on the monitoring panel, it continued on a fire detector.

I finally got a technician that told me that he couldn't help me, and to send a technician to my home to troubleshoot and replace batteries, it would be $59.00. I asked to cancel my account. He attempted to transfer me, but then dropped the call. I called back, got an agent, said she would transfer me, and I am now on hold another 40 minutes. I had to (as a single person) get on a ladder to take my smoke detector down and take the batteries out. (The technician told me I had to go to a convenience store and get a 3Volt battery, there are 3 AAA batteries in the device). My home is now unprotected and I have been an ADT customer for 9 years. When it works, it is great, but any technical support or upgrade is a NIGHTMARE.

ADT response

Our apologies for any troubles, Toni- Standard battery replacement on products installed in your home are generally not covered under service plans ADT offers. Normal wear and tear and or faulty equipment replacement or assistance is covered, but battery care would be the responsibility of the user. ADT can mail system and device batteries as requested to your home and we can offer a virtual service appointment to help assist with the changing of the sensor batteries as needed, free of charge. If further assistance is needed, we encourage you to re connect with us by calling 1 800 238 2727 for additional assistance. Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

I'm very pleased with ADT. I'll stay with them. I like how easy it is to program, to set when I leave or go to bed. I had one experience where I needed something. I called ADT and they had somebody come and replace it. But they ended up charging me $250. Somebody else called me from ADT and I was explaining I didn't think that I should have to pay that after I have paid ADT for 23 years. The rep said, "You shouldn't have to pay for that in the future."

I also kept noticing my rates going up. I kept seeing these advertisements that say "Sign up with ADT and you can get it for $33 a month." I called in and asked why was everybody else getting these deals but I was paying a whole lot more. It isn't fair when you've been with them so long and they keep trying to get people to sign up but they forget about us that's been paying them forever. They ended up taking my bill down to that sales promotion that was going on and that's what they charge me every month. But there was one condition. I had to stay with them, at least, five more years.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

1. Our alarm service had been deactivated due to "inactivity". We had not turned the alarm on since were home all the time. Hence we could not got into my ADT account and could not do anything online. Wanted to cancel the service; wait time was an hour at least each time and then would get disconnected. Terrible time dealing with them. It has been 3 hours and I am still waiting on line.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

ADT is the best company. I had it at the office where I worked and I liked it. I put it in my home, and it's been working great. I've had it a long time and I won’t live without it.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

I’m satisfied with ADT. It’s easy to operate.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2022

We enjoy the fob. Even before calling police, they will notify my wife and ask her if there's a problem. She likes that feature. We recommended ADT to both of our children.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

I'm satisfied with the system but I’m not happy with the app. We've been having a hard time getting the app to hook up to the system so we can turn the system off so we can get in the house.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

I like that ADT offered the Ring doorbell as part of the package, and there was no added charge. Recently, I was upgraded. Previously, it wasn't quite as user-friendly. It was a little bit clumsier. This new one is simplified and more user-friendly. With the old one, we could secure the house from both phones but after they did an upgrade, we had problems with that. But when they put this new system in and we set up our phones, it's been flawless. We're satisfied. When I call ADT to get an answer, I get no problems with the service from that standpoint.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

We have defective equipment and we are still paying for it and under warranty. We have been trying for over a month to get resolved. Long phone holds and nothing done. Chat and at the end they request that you call tech support. One tech came out reboot system and said it was working and again alarm went off in middle of night.

ADT response

Hello. Thank you for reaching out and we are so sorry for this frustrating experience. We see that the tech is scheduled to come out again. If he issue is still not resolved after his visit, please let us know so we can address further. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

I regretted signing up for a contract with ADT. The worst and oldest equipment, exorbitant fees, strings attached (3 years of service). I am pretty confident once most of the contracts will expire, it will be big trouble for ADT since competitors are far better. Unfortunately, I didn't do my due diligence before choosing ADT.

ADT response

We're so terribly sorry to learn of this unacceptable experience you've had as a member of the ADT family! We would love to address any outstanding issues. If you could please email our team directly at Alwaysthere@adt.com with the full address in which the services are located and the account details along with your post for further assistance.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

We had ADT up in Kentucky. We moved to Florida and moved the service down here. They just installed it today. The tech seemed very knowledgeable. He knew what he was doing. It's a newer system. He showed me everything and how to scroll through the menu. He helped me put it on my phone. ADT has been good. They've been good up in Kentucky, too. Anytime there was an issue, they responded immediately.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

I'm satisfied 100% with ADT. Every time my alarm goes off, they call me quickly. The technicians who came, redid my wiring and upgraded my system were good.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

I left ADT and went with another company. I came back to ADT because they were the better service. Having ADT, I can lock and secure my house at night and walk around without the alarm going off. I'm gonna call them and see about updating my panel system because I think I got an outdated one.

ADT Company Information