4.0/5 (478 ratings)
Call Center Open

About ADT

ADT provides home security and alarm systems with features like entry sensors, motion detection, smoke alarms and leak detectors to help ensure your home, family and belongings are protected from intruders and environmental disasters. The company offers professionally installed systems available with top-of-the-line equipment for intrusion detection, video monitoring and smart-home automation.

Pros

• Variety of products
  • Reliable service
  • Smart-home connectivity
  • Six-month money-back guarantee

Cons

• Limited video capabilities
  • Installation cost

Bottom Line

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart-home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. With ADT Pulse, the system can be connected to Amazon Alexa and your smart-home devices.

ADT Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

Having the system makes me feel more secure and their reps are very helpful. The back doorbell camera was low on battery and the rep told me how to take it apart, bring it in, plug it in, and put it back.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

My biggest complaint today is for 3 months now it has said my Nest aware subscription is expired. It is included with my cameras. I have spent hours and hours on customer service just to be transferred over and over again. They charged me a $250 electrician fee, the electrician has not come out was canceled after 60 days and that charge was not removed. Their payment system debited my account $350 but it was sent to my flexi pay not my messed up bill. Finally I said fine I will just pay again. They just debited my ach $327 twice on the same day! Now I have a very very large credit. I am sooo mad!

My cameras are just sitting places with wires hanging everywhere. They charged me an extra $50 to put the control center on my counter. Instead of just installing how they should. The tech couldn't figure out how.to make my google home work correctly so told me to call google lol. Had me sign and left. Customer service is 0. I have a contract with the wrong items on it. I signed and they didn't get me a new contract. This is problematic as they needed to have me sign the correct contract when my products changed and they just didn't bother! At this point I am disgusted and frustrated. My system has never been correctly working.

Hi Angelo,

I am sorry to hear about the issues you have been experiencing with your Nest Aware subscription and the difficulties you have had with customer service. I understand how frustrating and disappointing this must be for you. I can assure you that the agent you spoke to has already requested a refund on your behalf. Please allow some time for the refund to process.

As for your camera issues, I would recommend that you contact our tech support directly at 1 800 238 2727 at your earliest convenience. Our tech support team will be more than happy to assist you with resolving any issues you may have with your cameras.

We apologize for the inconvenience and frustration caused by these issues and will do our best to resolve them as soon as possible. Stay safe! - Mazen

Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

The system works well. I've had it for 30 years. I've been pleased with it.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

I love ADT. They do what they're supposed to do. If I have a problem with the system, I call them and they're on it. If I'm not at home or I don't respond right away when something happens, they're gonna call me. If I still don't respond, they're gonna call the police. I'm satisfied with the system. I'm considering adding to it.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

ADT installed alarm system in our house and we have been paying them for nearly 5 years now, and they did not inform us about Alarm permit needed to call cops. Yesterday our Alarm got triggered and I was not at home, could not reach my spouse, so had the ADT call the cops, but cops refuse to come due to us not having permit. I would think being experts in Alarm system they should at least inform the customer about the necessity of having an Alarm permit, before providing services. Paying them for 5 years, and they fail to tell a customer when they first install.

ADT response

Hello Scott. We are very sorry for this experience. Please review your contract terms as it will advise that he customer is responsible for obtaining and providing ADT with a permit number. A copy of this agreement can be found on MyADT as well.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

The service of ADT has been really good. Their techs have been great. We like the system. I would recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

ADT works well when we leave our house and arm the system.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

No one lives in the house, so we trust ADT to protect it. Mistake! The alarm goes off a lot upset neighbors and police. They can't stop it from their end and so we silence it. Now we're not protected. WT

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

Things have been working quite well. The system is adequate and I've kept it in force. Being able to see who is on my porch was a big plus. It looks like I have my own little TV.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2023

Overseas, 3rd party customer service to resolve issues. Multiple calls that led to no resolution. More than 18 days to wait for an order to ship for sensor battery replacements. Sensor batteries are now dead with no shipment of batteries confirmed. ADT monitoring system does not function properly as a result and my home security is compromised. Will be reconsidering my future with ADT.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

The service has been good so far. Everybody has been great. The system is easy and very user-friendly. I would definitely recommend ADT. I've recommended it to my co-workers.

Resolution response: Jan. 27, 2023

My rating is only 3 stars because it is ridiculous that anyone should have to go to these lengths to get a tech on-site to resolve an issue with the equipment that the customer could not possibly repair on their own. I would rate the on-site techs as 5-stars+, and the customer service as 1 star minus.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

Let me say at the beginning, this is a ridiculous situation, but here we are. We purchased our first ADT system in 1991. We had been very happy with the service, so in 2020 decided to add indoor and outdoor cameras. We purchased 3 indoor cameras, 2 outdoor cameras and a doorbell camera, a new keypad and everything it took to complete the system. We also pay monthly for their "Quality Service Plan." Yesterday, we could not get the smoke detector to turn off the "TAMPER ALERT" after changing the batteries. We followed the on-line instructions. No Luck.

We called in for technical support, we followed their instructions to remove the batteries for 2 minutes, then replace them and reassemble the smoke detector and reboot the system. We had already done this twice before calling in. We did it again. No Luck. We scheduled a "virtual appointment" for 2 hours later. No call. We called customer service again. This time they scheduled an on-site tech for later that afternoon. When he did not show up, we called customer service again.

We were told that ADT could not reach us for the virtual service call or to reschedule the afternoon appointment because our phones blocked their call. We were told that they had attempted to call both telephone numbers shown on the account. One of our phones only has 2 numbers in its blocked caller list, and we know ADT is not one of them. I asked for the phone number they had called from, so that I could check the blocked callers list on the other phone in case we had accidentally blocked their number. The agent said she couldn't give me a specific number that they called from because they have several numbers. So she is saying we have ALL their numbers blocked, even though we don't know what they are? There is no record of any calls from ADT on either phone's activity list, and no evidence that they did, in fact call.

The agent says the only thing she can do is schedule ANOTHER appointment. I asked to speak to someone who could actually do something to resolve this issue. She refused and said the ONLY thing she would do is schedule another appointment. We had stayed home all day waiting for ADT assistance that never happened, so the idea that we would just keep scheduling appointments is unacceptable, but, according to her, that is our only alternative. I have been told that doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result, is the definition of insanity, although dealing with ADT can make you feel like that is not far off. It is never easy to get a tech onsite, even when what they need to do is REPLACE equipment, as we have learned over the past 3 years. Effectively, it is ADT's position that we have no other recourse. (Remember, we are paying for maintenance service.)

Over the past 3 years, according to our records, ADT has replaced 4 or 5 sensors, some more than once. They have replaced the doorbell camera once or twice, possibly three times, we are not sure. They have replaced the control panel, the heat/smoke detector and one outdoor camera. There may be more that we have forgotten. Virtually every time, it is a battle to get them on-site, involving long wait times, repetition of the situation to various people, and insistence that they send someone out. Instead, we are paying for them to do work which should be covered under the warranty for the equipment we purchased. We suspect that we have either been sold used or inferior equipment, based on this service history, and now we have non-performance under the maintenance portion of the agreement.

We have been told, more than once, by their on-site techs that ADT intends to eliminate their jobs and handle all service issues online with the customer performing all the work. For this reason, we had already made the decision to change providers when our contract expires but now we can't even get the faulty equipment fixed. We are active in AARP and retired state employees groups, so we will contact them regarding what has happened, so they can inform their members when they are in the process of selecting a security company. As a rule, retired people usually don't want the drama. We sure don't.

ADT response

Hello Anita. When ADT contacts you, the number should show up as 1-800-238-2727. You can save that number into your phone, but we also recommend checking with your phone provider to ensure any calls from ADT are not blocked. This would not be an issue we can troubleshoot on our end regarding the blocked telephone issue.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

The ADT tech was knowledgeable and he showed me how to work everything because I had never seen most of the stuff. The camera access is a good feature 'cause I'm able to see behind my house when I'm at work. Plus, it alerts me if anybody's in my backyard.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

I'm happy with the service of ADT. I like the system. It's everything that we needed. I would recommend it.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

The price started out fine but every year, it goes up. Other than that, ADT is a good company. The system works. I haven't had any problems except with the battery. I've ordered new batteries but couldn't figure out how to put them in. The person that I called was very helpful and took less than 10 minutes.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

Having ADT, my home is monitored 24/7. My favorite features of the system are the extra panel, the cameras, and having a central app to manage it all. The customer service has been good, as well.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

When I bought the house, there were some contracts with the builder that they were never supposed to go up on my bill. I got a bill where they went up and I called them. As soon as I said, "Hey, I'm just questioning, because you all told me you wouldn't," they corrected it. They didn't dispute it. Also, I had them install some external units a few months ago and I'm happy with that. I recommend ADT. I'm happy with them.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

I'm satisfied with ADT. I'd recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

Everybody I've spoken with, the people who installed, and the original salesperson have been great. Quality is phenomenal. Once I tried to get a loaner DVR, but ADT told me there was none. The Paris Police Department decided they were going to come in with a search warrant and get my DVR. I fought for three weeks. I talked to this man named John on tier five, who was outraged that the police came in and got my DVR. He said that they had no right to come in and get it. That they have worked with several police departments. And all they had to do is come in and get a flash drive and they're only legally allowed to go back one or two hours. When I called the police department, I told them what John said. I had my DVR back in 15 minutes. So, everyone has been wonderful.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

The package that we got was excellent. Initially, I purchased three cameras for the inside. Later on, I added cameras for the outside. So now, I have a total of seven cameras. The technicians were friendly and cooperative. Any questions I asked, they answered them completely to my understanding.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

ADT is wonderful. But I'm in dispute with with their third-party representative right now. I paid everything upfront and I didn't get anything extra. But they came back almost two years later and said I owed them $200, and that I never paid anything. I called ADT and they said, "You're all clear on our end. We have nothing to do with the other company." Well, you're the one who sent them out when I called for my service to hook this up. I've been thinking through this whole ordeal to cancel and go with something different.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

We've had them since 2007 and they were kind of the premier game in the town at that point in time. They've given us excellent service since then. So we never have considered anybody else. They've been very good to work with. We are very satisfied with the features we have at this point. I dealt with alarm systems in my businesses for many years, and ADT is as good if not better than any of those other ones I've worked with. We feel very secure with it.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

The rep was very informative. He told us all the options. The installer got right on the job. He double-checked everything and made sure everything was working. He had to go over a few things a time or two. I have also called him when I had a problem and he helped me out. But with the glass breakage sensor they put in, they need to tone that down because when one of the cats jumps off one of our dressers, it goes off. It also goes off you make a noise or bump something. They need to reprogram it to the sound of breaking glass and not just noise.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

ADT helps me control everything that is happening around my house. I have everything, and it works properly. I had some trouble the first day they installed my doorbell camera but since the technician came and fixed that, I don't have any issue with it.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

I feel very safe with ADT. I know that if anything happens, I can get help.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

I am in 3 years agreement with ADT for fixed rate. I trusted the brand, and opted for autopay, to my surprise they increased the billing couple of times. What is the meaning of being in a contract, where it clearly mentioned monthly payments and duration, and the total payment for 36 months period. This is breach of trust, and cheap. Initially I had issues with sales person giving some info which was not in line with the agreement. I will not recommend ADT, and in case you want to go with them, make sure to check the contract and monthly payments.

ADT response

Good afternoon Praveen. We're sorry for the trouble. We understand that it can be frustrating to have your monthly rate increased unexpectedly. However, it's important to note that per the terms of your contract, ADT has the right to increase rates after the first year. We would recommend checking your contract on your account at www.MyADT.com to review the terms and conditions. Stay safe! - Mazen

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

I had ADT in Georgia for quite a few years and everything was always good. When I compared them with other highly recommended companies, their prices were about the same. The lady sales rep was very nice and helpful. Also, I was quite comfortable with the gentleman that came to install my system. I had a bad experience once so I'm leery.

I have a little bit of a learning process problem with the system so a technician showed me everything. My brother has been over here on a couple of instances. I carry the little button in my purse and I turn it on before I go out the door and turn it off when I come in. Just doing it the same way is good for me. I can get in the car and turn the alarm system on and off with the little button that I carry in my purse. There's a button I carry in my purse that I can press if I have an emergency.

The system is wonderful. I am able to turn that on when I'm in the house alone or at night. I keep it on just about all the time and anytime that I'm not here. It's easy. I like it and it makes me feel better. The system has a little bell that goes off every time somebody comes in and out a door. There was a break-in near at my neighbor's before I got the system. It's just very comforting to know that something would bring to my attention if somebody were to try to get in my house and I was at home.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2023

I have been an ADT customer for more than 10 years by default since they bought Brinx. I recently upgraded my system to new panels. They tried to upsell me several items which I declined. At the time of install, the tech presented me with a Google Nest Hub, a product like Alexa, which I declined on the phone when I made the order. I did not need it. When the tech showed up for the alarm install he put the Nest Hub box on my kitchen counter. I asked about it and he told me it was a gift (quote: consider it a late Xmas present") and that he would help me set it up. He apparently changed his mind and told me that set up is not something he helps with and something I do on my own. 2 hours later I get a statement telling me they charged my card $120 for this $79 item that I never asked for and which was presented as a free item for my $1000 plus upgrade.

He made new changes to the already signed contract to treat it like it was agreed to and sent it as an uneditable PDF. The billing department that I waited 45 minutes to talk to just now told me I agreed to it, when I did not. He even included a recital with a box checked off that he helped me sit it up and install it which was another total lie. As usual, when I called to complain, it was the usual 45 minute hold, talk to 3 diff departments, and after talked to billing who did nothing, now transferred a 4th time to "Accounts Management Dept" and facing a 72 minute hold. They reply to all their horrible reviews with "we are very sorry," but they are not sorry. They change nothing. Do not use this company. Find a local alarm company with ethics. These people are the worst of the worst. They will make no effort to fix anything. They do not care about you.

They will also slide 5 year clause into the contract which is an absolute disgraceful way to treat 10+ year customers who upgrade. You are asking for trouble if you use this dishonest disgraceful company. Whoever the CEO is should be absolutely ashamed of him/herself, same for the customer service manager who should also be fired. As I write the review I am on hold now running 1 hour and 10 minutes. That is their end game to get you to give up. Bottom line, you do not present something as a gift then falsely memorialize and already signed contraxct by slipping in a charge for it after the fact - that is outright FRAUD. Then going hide afterward and making it impossible to talk to anyone is shameful. IF they were SORRY about all the horrible reviews, they would change how they do business. They are not sorry.

ADT response

Thank you for reaching out to us! We’re sorry to hear about this experience and we would like to further assist you in getting this resolved. Please reach out to us directly at Alwaysthere@adt.com. Please include the address/phone number to the account and a copy of your post.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2023

The ADT sales rep was down-to-earth. He wasn't trying to push. The installer was very good too. It was a bad job to be doing it within a tin building with a hot roof. I warned them before they came that it was gonna be very hot. I said, “You can tell me when you want to schedule. I would like for you to be in there in the mornings or evenings when it's cooler.” That guy showed up said, “I’m ready to go at 3 o’clock.” I said, “Don’t you wanna sit down, relax a little bit?” He said, “No, I don’t get paid to sit.” He crawled up in there then came down and said, “You’re right. That’s hot.” He hooked it up on the wall, ran us through everything and gave us our passwords. He was a very nice guy. Everything's been great. I'm happy. The only thing I don't care for is the fact when there's motion, there's no communication. We got six cameras and I'd like to know when something alerts. I wish it would alert us on your cell phone.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

I got the security system, and I have the cameras also. The installer knew his stuff and helped us out as far as walking us through when the installation was done. All my questions were answered. Anytime I had to make a phone call and talk to somebody, there was no issue.

ADT Company Information