Get a Quote

4.2/5 (1172 ratings)

About ADT

ADT provides home security and alarm systems with features like entry sensors, motion detection, smoke alarms and leak detectors to help ensure your home, family and belongings are protected from intruders and environmental disasters. The company offers professionally installed systems available with top-of-the-line equipment for intrusion detection, video monitoring and smart-home automation.

Pros

• Variety of products
  • Reliable service
  • Smart-home connectivity
  • Six-month money-back guarantee

Cons

• Limited video capabilities
  • Installation cost

Bottom Line

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart-home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. With ADT Pulse, the system can be connected to Amazon Alexa and your smart-home devices.

ADT Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

My experience has been good, so far. The only thing I have to complain about is during the installation, the installer said that the garage door was not monitored, and he couldn't find it. But I went out there and found it. So now, I have to get on the phone with ADT, which is going to take hours and hours because I'll be put on hold.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

I like the quality of my ADT system. The installer was great and the only thing that's concerning to me is the difference in what I thought I was getting to what I got as far as the things that I talked about with the guy when I signed up, to things that I received that I didn't receive when installation came in. I tried to contact them about it but nobody's gotten back to me yet and I'm not too happy about that.

ADT response

Hello James, We're so terribly sorry to learn of this experience you've had as a member of the ADT family! We would love to address these issues with you further. If you could please email our team directly at Alwaysthere@adt.com with the full address in which the services are located and the account details along with your post for further assistance.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

I went with ADT several years ago and it worked out decently overall. It was more protective than most of the other security systems out there and it was more efficient too. I have several homes where I have ADT so I decided to go with them again. The rep got me through everything and gave real detail so that I would know what I want and don't want. The installation was good. The crew was in and out in a timely manner. The system works well and I can see what I need to see and not be worried about my property. It was an excellent experience.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

We used to have ADT and I didn't like it. But now, it's all digital. Everything is wireless and they have the armed response. A friend recommended it so I went back to ADT. The installer was fantastic. He was neat, clean and very nice. He explained everything very well. I'd like to stop getting alerts on my emails though. I'm getting 50 emails a day. Every time that you turn it on an off, it sends you an email. Still, ADT is the best system I've had.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

The installation was quick and easy. The installer was really good. The quality of the system is good.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

The installers were very professional. They explained everything and completed their job. With my ADT system, I like that I can unlock the door while I'm sitting in my car.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

The salesperson gave me a great deal and told me that the equipment was gonna cost around $1,000. Since my windows already had sensors attached to them, I was told that I could use the same sensors and the same motion detector in there. I was convinced. He showed me what services ADT offered. But when the installers came to the house, they told me that all my window sensors needed to be replaced as well as my motion detector sensor. The total equipment went from $1,000 to almost $1,700.

There was no explanation for the pricing. The sad part is the day after I moved in, I received all this mail saying I got $200 off my doorbell. When doing a sale, the person doing that should stick to them. I should get the same promotion because I technically was a new client. It was just I didn't open my mailbox until I installed the system. I called ADT the next day and I said I saw the invoice for my equipment and I didn't see any of the discounts that I was promised. Aside from the $200 off, they also gave me another $240 off. Those discounts disappeared.

I asked if they could do something and the guy asked, "Should I uninstall, call the guys and remove everything?" He then transferred me to the people that can come and remove the system. He didn't even try to convince me or try to make an effort for me to stay. In the end, I got stuck with ADT since my fiancé wanted a security system.

On the whole, the service is great and the installation was good. But whoever is doing the sale should continue until the system is in full install, so that if there is an issue with the price or the equipment, I can have somebody that I can reach out to. I was unable to reach the person who sold me everything over the phone. I had an email where it says, "Do not reply." It says Sally was the name of the salesperson. The main thing is customer service. All the companies offer the same things and it's the customer service that differentiates one company from another one. For ADT, customer service was not that helpful.

The installation guys, on another note, were amazing. They went through with everything, stayed all day, and explained how everything works. But customer service after the sales happened was horrible. I work in the sales industry and I know how important it is to have good customer service when you have an issue with pricing. I've been trying to schedule a day to call ADT. But I read that after three business days I cannot even negotiate or ask them to remove the equipment. If I wasn't happy with the service to have all the equipment removed without paying anything, it was too late. I'm just stuck now with ADT for the next five years. I'm gonna share my bad experience unless something is done to make it better. I wouldn't suggest this system to any of my friends at this point.

ADT response

Hello Dema. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Any promotion would need to be applied prior to the installation and is not eligible to be honored once the contract is signed. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

The last time, I had to call ADT because the alarm went on and they called me. The alarm went off. And after that, they told me to call them back and I stayed a long time on the phone waiting for them. They keep you on hold for the longest and I would love them to change that. But they’re very nice people. The system that ADT has in the house is an older model so when you press Stay and Away, they do the same thing. I don't love the system but it's okay. Having it gives me security. If somebody is moving around, the system makes a sound and then, it beeps. If you hurry up to go put the code, I'll know somebody is in the house.

ADT response

Hello Darlene. Thank you so much for your feedback. Please feel free to connect with us at 1-800-238-2727 should you need any assistance with your service. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

The installer answered all the questions that I had. He was very informative, as far as giving me information about the equipment. I've had ADT before and it's reliable. They've always been efficient and effective. So that is why I continue to do business with them. The system is really easy to manage, so I consider it dummy-proof. The app is easy to maneuver through and understand. So that's a really good feature, especially with people who may have a hard time understanding things. I can also set the alarm by phone, which is excellent.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

They did good price-wise. My monthly fee is going to be $60, so I can deal with that. They did everything I asked. So far, everything is going fine.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

We had signed a two-year contract with ADT right before we moved out of our last house because we liked the system and we weren't planning on selling the home anytime soon. But we decided to move so we had to reconnect with ADT. I like how their prices stay the same each month and there are no real surprises there. Everyone respects the name ADT as far as home security. They see the sign out front and they wouldn't try to break in. They know the system's gonna work.

The installer was there for three hours to install every bit of the system. He had to take out all the sensors and put the sticky tape on them. We were already at the house moving in so it wasn't an inconvenience to us. He apologized that the work took so long. It was because he needed extra help. Other than that, he was great and he showed us everything. The only thing we're trying to work on now is transferring the balance of our old contract onto this new one. That's been difficult to take care of. The other complaint I have is it's really hard to identify the difference between third-party ADT people and actual ADT reps. Other than those, everything else was seamless.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

The gentlemen who helped us was new but he helped as much as he could and got us going again with ADT. We had a couple of questions he called into his supervisor and things went well. Using the system is easy and the young lady did an excellent job explaining to us and getting us set up. So, I had no complaints about how it went. I just want to make sure that we can get the cameras we want and we're still trying to find a reliable, inexpensive solution for it. We have cameras from Ackerman that we had issues with and I was wondering if ADT can replace those with ADT cameras if we decide to go with them and put them in the same place. I don’t want to have a whole bunch of holes all through my house by putting cameras in different places and having old cameras that are not working. I had 20 cameras on a single-family home, which I don’t want to have. They'd become an eyesore at that point.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2021

I haven't had any issues with ADT for the past three years, which prompted me to refer my parents to install ADT at their house. I called ADT directly to get the soonest appointment, and I informed the agent that I am an existing ADT member and am referring my parents (which I would assume would have prompted the agent to add the referral award to my account). However, I never received an email about the referral award. I asked the installer at the appointment, and he told me that I would need to speak with ADT about it.

I called ADT and was on hold for 2 hours (despite being told there was only a 14 min wait), after explaining my issue to three separate agents and they put me back on the original hold line. After finally speaking to one agent, he told me to contact the sales representation, but I explained that I, nor my parents, had her contact information. Thus, despite having already installed ADT at my parent's house, ADT refuses to grant the $200 referral award.

Hi Bethany,

We're so sorry for any confusion! To properly refer a future customer, current ADT customers must log onto https://adtreferafriend.com/login and create a profile. There, a referral is sent to a non-ADT customer. The non-ADT customer must accept the referral email. After accepting the email, our 800 number along with a referral id # will be provided. The referral must call into ADT Corporate to set up an installation/sales appointment with their unique referral id #. After installation, the process can take 1-2 weeks for the $200 gift card to be sent via mail.

- Mazen

Original review: Oct. 24, 2021

I used to have ADT in the past. I got it again and setting up for the service was good. It was not really difficult. The guy who came knows what he was talking about, and he knows what he was gonna do. In the past, I had a bad experience from them, too, like I had with the other company that had it too. But right now, everything's working fine, so it's great. I’ve been safe because I have a camera. I'm really satisfied because I can check and make sure everything's good when I'm not here. ADT is a good company and they have a great system.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2021

The people at ADT were super nice. The reps that came to the house were super friendly. The system has nice features. I work in Riverside, and I live in Orange County, and if I'm over here and I forgot to put the alarm, I could just put it on from my phone. Everything's good. We like it.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2021

The installation was super easy. It's a good system. It can get the job done.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2021

I had ADT once before and they monitored my house well. I bought another house and decided to keep ADT. I told them what I needed and it was really easy. I liked the features of the system and kept the system the way it was. I like the fact that when the alarm goes off, they call.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2021

We downsized and moved into an apartment and because my husband is not here a lot and I'm alone, I got the system. If we move though, we don’t need a two-year or a three-year contract. And we’d like to go year by year. But the rep said we can always transfer to get out of it if we moved. My husband was upset a little bit because he said that when he signed the contract, it was a three-year deal. But the woman who dealt with us said it was a two-year one. So, it was very confusing.

I haven't used the system yet because I have my stepdaughter staying with me right now and I don't wanna start breaking somebody in. Also, I live in a building. But if I lived in a townhouse or a house, I'd have used it already. ADT is very good. The system is very much simpler than the one I had before although that was simple too. This is digital and the other one was not.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

We purchased a new house, and we wanted to put in a security system for protection. This is a secondary home that we're renting, and we have ADT at our primary residence. We've had good service from them. We went with them and everything went smoothly with the installation. The system that was currently installed in the home was very outdated. So, they put in a new system and new sensors on the doors and windows that were current.

When I talked to the sales persons, they were able to look at the age of the system and know that it was so old that it would need to be replaced, but they didn't communicate that to me. When the technician was on his way to the house, he was looking over what he would be doing, and he called me immediately to say, “It looks like the system is so old that we're probably going to have to install new everything.” So, that was something that I just felt like it could have been communicated to me at the sale so that I would be prepared to know that we'd be spending $600 on equipment. At the sale point, it was just like, “Oh, it will be $25 because they’re just gonna inspect the system." But they had to do a lot more than that. Everything else, like the actual technician who came, was great.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

The people that owned our home before had an ADT system in it and when we transferred the service in our my name, things went perfectly. The process took two hours and so far, our experience with the system has been good. The only thing we don't really understand is the difference between armed away and armed home. But that's not really a big deal.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

The system works, so I'm happy.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

The house was already wired with ADT and it was updated. I could stay with them and it would be cheaper than if I were to go with somebody else. The first time a tech came, he was by himself and he couldn't get on the ladder to reset the cameras. I thought they would have known that since the previous owner of the house was an existing customer. Also, the tech had been in the house before so I thought he would have remembered. I had to reschedule and the tech came back at a different time. That aggravated me a little bit but it wasn't really the tech's fault. That aside, I was well pleased for the most part with him. The other thing I am not happy about is the battery life on the doorbell doesn't last very long. It may be because it's an old doorbell. It’s wireless and it has to be recharged. But that's no big deal.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

I bought a house and the person who was in it used ADT so I thought I could continue with the same service. However, I also received a coupon in the mail that said ADT was offering something for 19.99. It was a better price but I didn't get that. They said it does something else. Still, setting up with ADT went well. I wanted something reasonable. We have so many alarm companies out there but I wanted to make sure that I’m getting the best. So, I'm comfortable with the rate ADT gave me.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

I changed my modem. This change made my cameras unavailable because they were tied to previous SSID. When I called about camera issue "tech support" began explaining fees to come out. It was me who mentioned the new SSID, not tech support. She didn't try pinging devices or anything, then she told me "no way to remote into my devices and make updates." After manager escalation, I was assured "we have virtual service that can remote in and change network settings, you are scheduled for Friday 3-3:30." I called at 3:55 to inquire about appointment. "We tried calling 3 times and said line was disconnected." Turns out they have my phone number wrong. NOTE: I've been a customer for 21 YEARS!

I asked about getting to virtual service desk and was told "no, since YOU missed your appointment, we have to schedule technician to come out and it will be $25 trip charge plus $94 every half hour after that." I explained the comedy of errors, asked to have service disconnected, and was placed on an indefinite hold (Over TWO HOURS)! ADT needs to understand that consumers have a choice...ONLY recommend your enemies to this crackpot organization.

If you can't change a modem (a not so infrequent occurrence, and not expect service disruption)...then how can you trust this system to keep your family safe?! SHAME ON ADT - they can't keep the basic promise to the people who entrust them with their very LIVES! Let's ALL wake up and walk away from this insecure - security company with woeful technical support and even WORSE customer service! SPEAK with your WALLET - maybe they'll listen! By the way, this nightmare of an experience covered a span of 3 days and I suppose I now still have to look forward to this month's BILL! Signed - 21 years of paying for NOTHING!

ADT response

We're so sorry for the trouble, Anthony! Thank you for being a loyal ADT customer. When you have a moment, please connect with us at 1 800 238 2727 so we can troubleshoot over the phone and schedule a tech visit if need-be.

- Mazen

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

The ADT rep who helped me with the initial signup was very good and professional. The tech who came for the installation was very good as well and quick. He gave me a full rundown on the system.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

The service guy that came out, Armando, was excellent. He went over and beyond. I had some other stuff going on with my doorbell and he said he'd take care of it. He was very knowledgeable of what the system provides as well.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

ADT was professional. The installation was really good. I am a little confused with it, though. The doorbell didn't have power. So the installer wasn't able to finish the installation, but I don't know if he's gonna come back and do that. Other than that, the system is good and I like it. I really like the little keypad. It's really easy to understand.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

The house that I bought had an existing system and signs in the yard. I applied with ADT online then I talked to someone on the phone. I had the system initiated a couple of days later. I mostly used the equipment that was there. It was nice that they were able to come out within just a couple of days. The service was fast and the installer who tested the system and set it up was great. The person I talked to on the phone was good as well as far as getting things going.

But the ADT online chat was not very good because they got me to call and go further. They weren't very helpful. They were instructing me to unplug my existing system and turn it off then just left it at that. When I talked to people, I was able to get someone to come out and do maintenance on the system, get it operating, and get it monitored. It worked out better that I went further than an online chat. Other than that, everything ended up being really great.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

The rep at ADT took the credit report and said that I was good for this certain amount of package and I was getting a deal. I asked the rep for the camera door, monitor, and the two cameras outside. I also asked what the cost would be as well as the door lock. I told her to have the technician bring it and I would decide when he gets here if I wanted it. I thought it was around $700 that she was saying that I would get, but when the technician came out, he said it was 9 something because I got the two cameras. I just did it because the technician was here and that was what I wanted and I needed it.

I was surprised with the price but the guy was good. It's just me learning the process. I’m not that kind of tech person on the phone, so we had to go through a few things. Equipment-wise, the focus on the camera could be a little clearer because when you’re looking at it, it’s foggy. I sat outside and I looked at the camera to look at me, and at a distance, it’s just a dark face. There’s nothing you can see up close.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

I have ADT at my current house. So, I was just transferring the service to a new location. The installer was great. He's very friendly, explained the system and he did a good job installing it. My old system has a lot of the older technology. So, they upgraded it to the newer technology. But overall, it's pretty much the same. The features are great. I like being able to use my phone to disarm the system.

ADT Company Information