4.1/5 (568 ratings)

About ADT

ADT provides home security and alarm systems with features like entry sensors, motion detection, smoke alarms and leak detectors to help ensure your home, family and belongings are protected from intruders and environmental disasters. The company offers professionally installed systems available with top-of-the-line equipment for intrusion detection, video monitoring and smart-home automation.

Pros

• Variety of products
  • Reliable service
  • Smart-home connectivity
  • Six-month money-back guarantee

Cons

• Limited video capabilities
  • Installation cost

Bottom Line

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart-home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. With ADT Pulse, the system can be connected to Amazon Alexa and your smart-home devices.

ADT Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

I moved into this place and they already had the ADT hooked up. I tried to get the service restarted. I got the ADT service but it wasn't what all was included when I called and tried to set it up. It was supposed to come with a new system but I never got any of the new stuff that they were promoting. There was a promotion going on involving the doorbell with the camera. That's was what I was signing up for.

In the end, ADT just set up the old system and basically turned that on. I've been trying to call and try to make sure there's someone who can come back out to give me the things that I was wanting. I tried three times and no one was able to help me. They said they will call me back but no one has. ADT is just demanding money from me to pay even though this isn't the system that I agreed upon.

ADT response

We're so terribly sorry to learn of this unacceptable experience you've had as a member of the ADT family! We would love to address these issues with you further. If you could please email our team directly at Alwaysthere@adt.com with the full address in which the services are located and the account details along with your post for further assistance.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

The person that came out to do the alarm didn’t know anything. I had to call him twice. He told me, “It's a good thing you called me and not ADT ‘cause they would have charged me to come back.” The problem was he got everything wrong. He made me run some tests over the phone while I was on the phone with him to fix the problem because he didn't want to drive all the way back out there to fix the problem. It was a terrible experience.

I'm having a lot of problems with the system until now. The device keeps turning on by itself and I have to talk to customer service to handle the situation. They troubleshoot it over the phone. They don't have a technician come out and looks at it. After troubleshooting, the system would start working. It's just now, I'm having the same problem again. I might disconnect the service with ADT and go with a different one.

ADT response

Hello Mahmoud- We're very sorry to hear of this frustrating trouble! Please email our team directly at alwaysthere@adt.com with more details in regard to the current issue with your system along with the full address/telephone number linked with the account so we may best assist you in rectifying this situation ASAP. ~ Thank you

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

I've already had good experience with ADT, so I went back with them. The salesperson was very informative, let me know everything, what I already had existing, and gave me quotes on cameras. The installer was professional and very helpful. The system is easy. You control it all by your phone. That's a good option that ADT provides. My fiancée likes it a lot.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

We chose ADT because they are associated with USAA insurance. The sales rep who came out was great. He was very knowledgeable and he answered all our questions. It looked like he'd been in the business for years. He knew many nuances about security systems, which sounded completely logical and reasonable. The finished product seems operational and it doesn't get in the way of anything. But the installation process and actual physical attaching devices to doors and windows were a little sloppy. There is what appears to be a silicone type adhesive that was used and it was not applied very neatly. I noticed too that there is a lot of flexibility in the pricing from the initial estimate to what the final price can be. It looks like there is a very large profit margin that can get negotiated to a lesser price than the initial estimate.

ADT response

We're so terribly sorry to learn of this experience you've had as a member of the ADT family! We would love to address these issues with you further. If you could please email our team directly at Alwaysthere@adt.com with the full address in which the services are located and the account details along with your post for further assistance.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

The sales rep we had explained the whole works point by point and made sure that we understood it. He's very knowledgeable and he had us do it to practice. I like the installed system. It feels pretty good. My daughter goes away to work and she can check it from her phone to make sure what's going on. She can reset it from her phone as well. That's pretty cool. My daughter wanted to do the cameras but we couldn't do that because our internet wasn't good enough. Another thing is I'm upset with the person that sold me the Blue system by ADT. I still have it. I have to return it but nobody gave me an address. Other than that, everything else is great. I'm okay with the regular ADT.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

The system is easy to use and since having it, I feel a little bit more secure.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

ADT did well during my sign-up for their service and the installation was so clean. The technician was really helpful. But there was something that I missed. This is my control on the entrance from the garage. I thought about calling ADT and asking to see how much it would cost me to put one in my bedroom, which is really far away from the other one. Also, I thought I was going to get $100 on a Visa card after they install, but I never got anything. Other than that, my service has been good so far. They got a lot of new things. I didn't take advantage of all of them but I'm happy with what I got.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

I had a good installation of my system and the tech was really nice. The features are nice too. It’s just that the doorbell camera takes really long to get online. My internet is working but the system is really slow. Customer service is good so far, except for when the battery died. I put new ones in there but was still saying the batteries are dead. I called ADT and asked them how to disassemble it so I could fit the batteries in. The process personnel who was helping me told me the wrong thing and the stuff in two of the clips broke in it. They sent a clip of something that had nothing to do with the sensor. Also, I have to put the system on bypass every time before I can arm it because it’s saying the sensor’s been tampered with. But there's actually nothing wrong with it.

ADT response

Hello Pheonia. Thank you so much for reaching out to us. Please give our technical support team a call at 1-800-238-2727 so that they can further assist you in clearing the alarm. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

When I first signed up with ADT, a tech came in and did the installation. He tried to upsell certain things like the smoke alarm. This time, they say I have to pay for the equipment for an X amount of years. It seems like a lot. It should be a one-time setup fee unless you want to add anything. I couldn't even transfer my key fob that I already had because he said he couldn't hook it up. They should give an upfront cost then explain that every additional equipment is an additional charge. This time, he didn't do as much of the upselling. I told him I had a fire alarm and he said he didn't know if he had one in the truck. Then all of a sudden, he had one in the truck. The transfer was not fun. The set up has been a major issue and the installation.

I’ve had a lot of issues with billing with the last month. I’ve had to be on the phone for over five to six hours total. I moved and they were double charging me. I’m getting the refund but I'm still waiting on the check. They’re very nice but the last time I called, I asked to talk to somebody that knew exactly what they were doing. But the service is great and I like it. Two nights ago, it had to go off at 4:05 am. I run the pad, and it told me which door had been opened. It was the shed outside and it was the wind because it was so windy that day. Being a single mom with kids, I appreciate it.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

I switched over to ADT from SimpliSafe. My sales rep was very knowledgeable and professional. Everything's cool with ADT and I like it overall. I like the panel and the arming and disarming of the system. ADT is more user-friendly.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

We got into a contract with ADT. The contract is ages long and expensive. If you move you have to either renew the 36-month-long contract or eat the remaining cancelation fee. The whole company is designed to lock you into a company you cannot escape from without paying through the nose. The cancelation fee will be ~$550 (a lot) and I decided to pay it so the contract does not automatically renew itself when it ends (something that can happen to you). The worst part is that we have had our system offline and unpowered for over 8 months and ADT never noticed through their monitoring. No communication or attention until we tried to leave and now ADT won't let us go without taking a large sum of money from us. Just like divorce.

ADT response

Hello Noah. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We see that you closed the account before the end of the term therefore the charges on the account are valid.

We believe in being transparent, that is why the length and the penalty for premature cancellation is bold font on the front page of all our contracts. In the event you relocate the system to a new location within 2 years from the date of the previous cancellation we will refund you the charges that you have paid for the cancellation fee. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

I've had ADT previously in my other house that was sold. When I moved to this house, I had it installed and they walked me through the system and showed me how to access it online if I needed to. The one that I had previously was different. This was a more updated version. The only issue I had was that one of the sensors kept saying low battery. They sent me out new ones and the technician that was coming out put them in for me. Then, about two weeks later, it still kept saying low battery, so somebody's coming out today to address it. Even though I had the problem with that, they are very attentive, and they’re dealing with it.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

The system is efficient. The tech had to come back a couple of times making sure that was connected. He ended up finishing the job but he could have done that in one trip. I had the ADT doorbell as part of my package originally back in December when the tech was supposed to come and install. When he came out to connect my service, my doorbell wasn't working. He said, “When you get it fixed, call us back, and we'll install.” I got it fixed then called ADT back. They said they no longer offer the ADT doorbell. They were pushing out the Nest. They were forcing me to get something because it's a little bit more expensive and newer. But when I talked to the service guy who did my install, he said they still have them because some people are not so familiar with the technology. I felt that I was pushed to do something because they were trying to sell me something and not really looking into my whole practical situation.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

I had a pleasant experience with ADT's sales rep. Someone then came on time for the installation. It was supposed to be an all day job but he finished earlier. All the people that I've been associated with have been great. But there is one aspect I'm not pleased with. Right now, we have the console. The only way that you can see who's at your front door is on the app. I was told by my rep that there wasn't anything like that. Later on, I had a different question and he said they just had a new product that will allow you to see from the door.

If you have a guest or a family member at home, you don't give them your app info. You want them to be able to see who's at the door. If you have minor children and you want them to open the door for a specific person and look out, they can. It's because they might not have a cell phone. I called ADT the other day and the technician on the phone told me that they don't have the feature I wanted so I was a little confused.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2022

I signed up with ADT and we got the thing saying, “You get free this, you get free that, you get free this.” But when the tech came out, he said, “That'll be $200 now and then you'll have another payment of the other half in the next month then it'll be regular monitoring.” I was out $500 and I thought most of this was supposed to be included free. Other than that, the tech did good and the system features were all right. I couldn't get the outside cameras because we have cellular internet and it won't work with that.

ADT response

Good Afternoon Patricia- Thank you for choosing ADT and for your feedback. We're so sorry for the trouble, we located your contract and can assure you that everything you signed for was correctly installed and billed.

- Mazen

Original review: Feb. 6, 2022

I've had ADT for years and then I tried a different alarm company and it was horrible so I just reverted back to ADT. They were pleasant and cool when they came out and I liked them. I just don't like that ADT has my billing separate.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2022

My system was installed fast. I've had it for a month and everything is fine.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

The gentleman that came the first time to install my system was extremely nice and very respectful. He was there for a few hours and he cleaned up after himself. He explained everything to the point where I was like, “Wow, I learned a whole class.” We had another guy come to install the smoke detector and he was also very nice. The system is amazing and I love everything about the smart app. I like that I can manage everything through my phone such as when I need to turn off the alarm or I want to check any activity happening. I can just look at my app to see if I left anything unlocked or if anything's open. I do feel safe having an alarm and adding it at night.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

The guy who came for the installation was very helpful initially. But they were just trying to get my business. From a customer service perspective, they're really bad. They set up my service but didn't take into account the complexity of the configuration. The system was working when the guy left. I called him the next morning to say, “I'm having an issue with the installation. My doorbell has been grinding all night or burning all night.” He couldn't come back out that day so I should call their service team. I did and they said the next available appointment was three and a half weeks away.

By my standards, they didn't leave me in a good state. The phone call folks have been nice but they were totally ineffective. Even in calling and trying to escalate, they push you around the circle. It was a horrible experience. I had to continue to go back and forth with them, talk to them multiple days, explain the severity of the issue, and that I was a new customer. This isn't necessarily how you keep people. I still didn't get any good response. I would switch if I wasn't in the contract.

ADT sent out a specialist late to work out the issue and he was pretty good. But I already investigated and brought in an electrician to run my own diagnostics. A buddy of mine and I were able to figure things out. ADT was just leaving me to the internet and no one knew anything. I’m like, “It's y’all’s equipment. How do you not know your own equipment and how it responds or reacts in a home environment?” That was the problem. I was able to talk with ADT to try to go further with resolving this issue. I still have a service call out to them right now because one of the doorbells is recording but it's not feeding. I've only been with ADT for a month and 11 days. I have yet to get through a full month without calling ADT.

ADT response

Good Afternoon Vincent- We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for reaching out. We look forward to servicing your system on 02/22/2022. We plan on rectifying all technical issues when we come out.

- Mazen

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

The install team needs to keep better communication because that was the whole deal. The guy didn't show up when he was supposed to and when he got tied up, no one told me. When he came in, he didn't have all the products he was supposed to have. But he was cool and nice. I almost cancelled, but they got it figured out for me. Then I wish the alarm system was a little bit louder because I couldn't hear the beeping at the back of the house too well. Yet, it’s really loud toward the front of the house like it should be. I'm gonna call the guy that installed it. He gave me his cell and I could get ahold of him anytime. I was gonna actually add another sensor too.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

I stayed with ADT because I haven't had any bad situations with them previously. But it’s a little shaky every now and then. I have ADT in Alabama that I have been closing off. I moved everything to Georgia. But it kept showing an amount on the account for the one in Huntsville. I talked to ADT last week. I got an email saying there's an amount still on my previous account after I've called them multiple times about it. I'm hoping it's gone now. I have a tenant in my house in Alabama who is having problems getting that one set up because he said the account hasn’t been closed. But I've been told that it has been closed. Other than that, I like ADT from what they've done in the past. This is the first time I'm having this weird hiccup with them. Hopefully, they can get it resolved sooner and not later.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

Getting ADT set up was good. I called them not too long ago because I've been having trouble. Our camera is delayed very badly. We had Cox come out to make sure it's not our Wi-Fi. It turns out our Wi-Fi working for everything else just fine. When I leave and pull back in the house, the system won't alert my phone until I'm actually in the house versus alerting me right then. We see no purpose in having it if it's going to be delayed like that. We keep having ADT people come to our house every day.

Also, I requested the window things on my plan as we really wanted those. If somebody tries to break into our house, that’s the window that they could possibly get to first. But we didn't get those window things. The guy didn't have any and I told him not to worry about it. The guy didn't leave an ADT sign too. People won't know that we have the system unless they see the camera up.

Other than that, their guy communicated very well. He helped me set everything up. He tried to get the silver door thing we wanted. He called someone. They said it was 30 minutes out and we didn't want to wait at that point. I also didn't want him to have to drive 30 minutes away so we stuck with the brown door thing. Other than those issues, ADT is a good company and I’m still satisfied.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

The system that we had was obsolete. The company was supposed to send me a technician out and he didn't show up. Then he started playing tag with us, so we looked to get someone else. I checked out the reviews, and ADT had good ones, so we went with them again. We had prior use of it in my father-in-law and we were satisfied. The gentleman that came did a good job. He was knowledgeable and he explained to us how the system works.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

I'm happy with the pad that I've been using to arm and disarm the house. I can do that anywhere. One time, I armed it and forgot about it. Then somebody came in and the police were here in two seconds, so I know it works. But ADT needs to be more clear about what the customers have to pay for and give them the options if they don't have the feature to make it work.

ADT needs to be more clear about what you have to pay for and give you options if you don't have the feature to make it work. Because I couldn't get the clarity from the rep that I dealt with. The way he made me think was that I had to have this. But I kept telling him I would prefer to have the part that you need for the internet when I get the internet. I haven't got the bill yet and I don't know if they're charging me. But he said they're not going to charge me.

At first, the rep wanted to alarm just certain doors, but I told him to alarm them all because I need to know if anybody comes in through any door. He didn't want to alarm the back doors at all because he said that the glass there could be hit one time and people could come in. It won't matter if you have an alarm or not. So I don't know if he alarmed them or not, but we got into an argument about alarming these doors. Because his whole thought process was, “You got windows. There's no point because they can break the windows anyway.” But my thing is, if they break it, I need to know. He was courteous otherwise. He was just strong-headed and he didn't want to listen to meet the demands of me as a customer.

When a customer like me that has been broken in before has a plan about what I need to do to protect me, ADT reps need to listen a little bit more and they need to give me what I ask for as opposed to trying to tell me how the trend is going in the break-ins. It's better to know when people are coming in. Every entryway of the house, where there's a window or a door, should have an alarm that goes off when people break-in. But right now, I don't think ADT's rep set me up that way and I'm not really happy about that. He didn't do what I asked him to do. So I don't feel secure with the alarm. He did something on my phone and I can arm and disarm the system using it. But I can't look at my property and tell if somebody is on it.

ADT response

Hello Deborah. We're terribly sorry to learn of this unacceptable experience and the frustrations its caused you. We'd be more than happy to look into this further. Could you kindly please send us a copy of your review/concern, along with the telephone number and address associated with the service to AlwaysThere@adt.com? Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

We’re using their service in a store and it's fairly good. The system works good. But I only got one sensor when they offered me two over the garage.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

I have ADT on three houses. The quality of ADT's product is good and I've had their system for 16 years. We used to have the full system but we updated it to the new one and it's much better than the full system. I use their app every time I leave the house. I just got my neighbor across the street serviced with ADT. He's gone through three different security companies and they've been terrible.

I have a house that's two hours from here and I'm not there every day. I've been having a problem with my front door. I still can open my home remotely, which I need to let contractors in to do work. But when you're there in person and you're outside, you can't punch in the keypad and open it. I have a connection with ADT's corporate office and I just call the lady that I always deal with. She makes things happen instantaneously. I just haven't had the opportunity to do it.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

I like the ADT phone app. Everything is good as far as the system. It's just sometimes the glass break sensor is not good at detecting the difference between glass break and just something falling on the floor.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

We had ADT before for about 20 years. We like the system features and peace of mind in security. This time, the guy did a great job with the installation and he finished in an hour. Then we had to contact them as one of the sensors was a little sensitive and we reset it this weekend. Overall, ADT is great and we always suggest it to others.

ADT response

Thank you for the feedback and for joining the ADT family!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

I'm a first-time homeowner and it was interesting that having the security system installed saves us money on our homeowner's insurance, which I was unaware of. So that was a cool benefit that I wasn't expecting. The only critique I have is that shortly after the system was installed, some other sales representative from ADT came to our door asking if we wanted ADT. We don't need to be solicited for something we already have.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

I communicated with the sales rep on phone and it was quite pleasant. Then a technician came out and the installation took longer than expected, but everything turned out to be fine.

ADT Company Information