3.9/5 (485 ratings)

About ADT

ADT provides home security and alarm systems with features like entry sensors, motion detection, smoke alarms and leak detectors to help ensure your home, family and belongings are protected from intruders and environmental disasters. The company offers professionally installed systems available with top-of-the-line equipment for intrusion detection, video monitoring and smart-home automation.

Pros

• Variety of products
  • Reliable service
  • Smart-home connectivity
  • Six-month money-back guarantee

Cons

• Limited video capabilities
  • Installation cost

Bottom Line

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart-home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. With ADT Pulse, the system can be connected to Amazon Alexa and your smart-home devices.

ADT Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: July 31, 2022

Do not trust the Portland area office. I made a mistake going to ADT and have had numerous problems since. Numerous long wait phone calls, rude support and techs that lie. All I want is for my system to work 100% of the time not when it wants to.

ADT response

Hello Michael- We're so very sorry to learn of this upsetting experience and would like to assist you in rectifying any issues you may be experiencing! Please email our team directly at alwaysthere@adt.com along with more information about your concern and the full address in which the services are located. ~ Thank you

Original review: July 31, 2022

I'm satisfied with ADT. Their service is reliable and their customer service is great.

Original review: July 31, 2022

ADT's customer service is great. We still have the old system, and I have the app on my phone. I usually turn the system on after I leave, then I turn it off with my phone right when I get home. I like the service. We haven't had problems, except we need new signs out front. The wind took them out.

Original review: July 30, 2022

I’m very satisfied. I’ve been with ADT 20 years, and their communication has been great.

ADT response

Thank you for being such a fantastic part of our ADT family!

Original review: July 30, 2022

I had a good experience with AHS.

Original review: July 29, 2022

I've been with ADT for two years now and I'm content with them. Their customer service has been fine. The tech that I worked with was great.

Original review: July 29, 2022

I recommend ADT. They're good.

Original review: July 28, 2022

If I could put a -100 stars I would. This company seeks to make money off people not reading their contracts. I made a mistake in signing up for service when I went through a terrible divorce. Within a week I realized my mistake and I didn't need their service. I asked to cancel and discovered I only had 3 days to decide to opt out and I was now stuck for over $3000 for 3 years. No matter the reason or tears cried they only want my money and have no sympathy or offer any exceptions to their contract terms. They are thieves and heartless people. On top of that each time I tried to call and cancel I was placed on hold for an hour or so. I was bounced around from the people who cancel to the accounting people to collect the remaining amount on my contract. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT SIGN UP FOR ADT SERVICE!!!!

Original review: July 28, 2022

I recommend ADT to everyone. I'm happy with what I have. The ADT techs have also been friendly and completely professional.

Original review: July 28, 2022

I've been with ADT for almost 20 years and I'm very happy with them. I got one of those fall pendants to wear because I have a bad leg and balance issues. I wear that all the time so in case I fall, I can get help. That's been excellent. I also had a water sensor put in to the basement and that was a problem because the first fellow that put it in was not properly trained. It kept going off making false alarms. That was a pain in the neck. They had to have somebody come back and reset it. After that, it got straightened out. The system works good. The only thing is the price per month keeps going up. I'm on a fixed income now so it's a little difficult trying to keep up with payments on everything.

Original review: July 27, 2022

I signed a 2 year contract on 3/25 for the security cameras. They do not offer installation and they did not offer customer support. I have contacted ADT by phone, email, left messages, tried to chat and haven't got anywhere. The batteries don't hold a charge. I couldn't access the app because when I would ask for a password reset it would send me to their site but there is nowhere to reset password. I have been 1.5 months now without security and it is **. I have to pay for a product I cannot use. I've emailed customer support on multiple occasions and I have not received any response. I've now contacted the BBB. Attorney General is next.

ADT response

Hi Melanie- Thank you for choosing Protection 1 and for reaching out. We're sorry to hear about your experience. Please expect a follow-up from a manager within 48 hours.

- Mazen

Original review: July 27, 2022

I've been with ADT since 2009. Their customer service has been incredible. They've been good to me. I've done two upgrades. I have cameras and the quality and resolution are good. However, it was disappointing because I was having some problems with my sensors before and they said, "We can't do anything with your sensors. Because they should never put these old ones in there. But because they did, you're stuck with them." For the first nine years I had these outdated sensors that would cause it to alarm unnecessarily. But I have all the new equipment now.

Original review: July 27, 2022

The system is good. I had a pad added in the garage on the system so it would go off if anybody attempted to go in there. I had a problem turning off the system when I got home but I got that taken care of. Now, what I do is I get out of my vehicle and turn it off from the backdoor using the remote control.

Original review: July 26, 2022

I would recommend ADT. I've been using them for over 20 years and they have good customer service. I have an outdoor security light and the inside security system for the house and windows and doors. Their app is convenient.

Original review: July 25, 2022

We had issues with a flood sensor. We called to make an appointment at where we were given a virtual appointment instead of a technician coming to the house. We had to reschedule another appointment. When the technician came he did not have the sensor. He called his manager and the manager said he would credit us 2 months. The manager never put it in the system. We canceled our Saturday plans for a new appointment and guess what happened? The technician was double booked and had to come on Sunday instead. So not only were we lied to but we had to cancel our weekends plans. We foolishly signed a three contract! The billing woman told me to write a letter.

ADT response

Hi Lisa! Our apologies for the troubles with the sensor and in getting this repaired. We do show that a month credit was placed on the account, however as a gesture of good will, we have reversed that credit and placed a two month credit total on the account as you mentioned this was offered to you. We appreciate you as a customer, and thank you for connecting with us online!

Original review: July 25, 2022

This is our second home and we've had them install their services. They're prompt, attentive, and dedicated to what they do and say. Overall customer service satisfaction is excellent. I'm happy with ADT. We've had it for over 10-plus years.

Original review: July 24, 2022

I spend a lot of money on my plan with ADT… to begin, once you receive a notification that motion has been detected, you have to go into the app and see what’s going on. However, 99% of the time I click to see what’s going on, the video does not work. I then have to hurry and exit the app then come back in. By then, the person is gone and I have to wait sometimes 10 mins before I can see the saved video. By then, if a crime were to be taking place, it would be too late. Additionally, one of the products I have is the doorbell. I was told that the doorbell was hard-wired and wouldn’t need to be charged. However, my doorbell is not working and keeps notifying me of a “critically low battery”.

When I contact ADT customer support, they tell me I will have to pay $59 for a technician to look at it. Additionally, I am told that I need to charge the doorbell manually, by going to a “Walmart” or “Dollar General” and buying a micro USB cord… because they don’t provide it to the customer paying $2,200. The best they can do for me is schedule a virtual technician to help me fix the product they have supplied me. And if it’s not resolved, I’ll be left paying for a product that does not work, with a company who does not care about their customers.

ADT response

Oh no! We're so very sorry to learn of this troubling situation! Please email our team directly at alwaysthere@adt.com if we may be of any additional assistance in rectifying these issues with your services. Please include a reference to your review and the full address in which the services are located in your email so we may best assist you ASAP. ~ Thank you

Original review: July 24, 2022

ADT has been amazing. I live in Florida and I have ADT’s service at a small residence in North Carolina with my mom's home. My mom passed but I still keep the home up right and available. Someone broke into my home into the garage area about 1:00 in the morning. The ADT system went off perfectly as it should. My Ring device kept clicking and woke me up. I was able to get up, see the people actively breaking in, got still pictures bounced off to another device and called local law enforcement. I sent the pictures to local law enforcement and they arrested the people. The people were still there, loading their vehicle with the tools from my garage. I will definitely forever be an ADT advocate.

Original review: July 23, 2022

I like ADT because they call every month and check if everything is okay. Even if I'm not here, they call my daughter and wonder where we're at. Then I can call them back and let them know we're okay. I would recommend ADT in a heartbeat to anybody that needed protection because things are happening and they’re right on it. My son was fixing up one of the outlets in the kitchen. He turned the electric off and ADT called right in, saying that my phone had been interrupted.

Original review: July 22, 2022

Until one month ago, ADT was working properly. While I was on vacation, the alarm went off without reason after my husband left the house, and they called the police because my husband didn't take the call. The police came, and it was a false alarm. We've been going back and forth with them. Unfortunately, I received a citation because of non-registration of the alarm. I was never told I had to register the alarm. I paid the fine and the registration then called them to make sure that the alarm was working properly. They told me it was, but a couple of days ago, it went off again without reason.

They called me again and I was a little bit disappointed so I told them I wanted to cancel the contract because the alarm was not working properly. They asked why didn't I change the batteries. I ordered the batteries, and I'm gonna give it a last try before canceling the contract. I understand that batteries have to be changed after a few years. But again, they never told me. One time that something happened with the alarm, I called them and asked if it could have been the battery. They said, “No. That's rechargeable battery.” That was why I didn't think that it could be the battery. When I call them, they're very nice and helpful. But sometimes, they should give the customer a little bit more information. It is the first time I have an alarm and if I had it before, then I would know.

Original review: July 21, 2022

We recently got the new keypad and the app on my phone. The keypad is neat. The app is even better. The installer knew what he was doing. It didn’t take long to get it done. He came out, did what he had to do and left. Everybody at ADT has been knowledgeable and helpful with requests. I feel more at ease now.

Original review: July 21, 2022

I'm very satisfied with the services that ADT provides. The app allows me to be here and see there, and I'm contemplating on adding another camera to our garage. We pretty much have everything else covered except for the garage. The sensors on the garage itself. We also have a neighbor that has the system now. He was asking us when they moved in how we liked ADT, and I gave him a recommendation.

Original review: July 20, 2022

I'm very happy with the service. I like the simplicity of the system and the use of the system to access. Customer service is great and they've done a very good job. I have the contract for a home repair which is definitely worth it. It saved me a lot of money on a camera.

Original review: July 20, 2022

We've had ADT for a number of years, and we've had some ups and downs through the years, but it's been okay.

Original review: July 19, 2022

ADT DOES NOT REMOVE THEIR OLD EQUIPMENT UNLESS YOU SIGN UP FOR THEIR SERVICES!!! I recently purchased a home with existing ADT equipment, and want it removed. ADT said it was my problem to solve. Had to pay an electrician to remove main panel! Then I tried to remove the window/door sensors and it turned into a sticky mess that has damaged my property. I called ADT again for help and had an appointment scheduled. I waited on hold for 20 minutes. At that point I realized how existing customers are treated - having to wait on hold that long is unacceptable. Then, no one showed up for the appointment. I will never do business with such this company and don't recommend it to anyone.

ADT response

Hi Kay! This is correct. ADT does not remove equipment in homes that are no longer monitored by ADT. These polices are strictly enforced as it can cause an insurance issue with our techs who are bonded and insured. ADT has no obligation to provide service to past/ old accounts no longer in service. Our apologies for the trouble this has caused you.

Original review: July 19, 2022

I have been unwillingly stuck with this system for over two years now with my only option of getting out is to pay off my contract. I have had issues with the system since the 2nd month of having it. The cameras would disconnect randomly and lose the ability to reconnect resulting in those cameras having to be replaced multiple times through the 2.5 year period. Replacement or repair of faulty equipment is at the Homeowner's expense even though you are paying nearly $70/month for a monitoring service fee of a system that sometimes works.

My most recent issue was the head unit of the system no longer receiving signals from the various contacts or other devices in the home. This resulted in my system being armed, but could not detect a door/window being opened or of anyone breaking into my house whatsoever. My cameras at one point kept losing connection, ADT said it was a weak signal to my router, even though one of the cameras was only about 10' away from my router and I get full signal on my phone over 150' away from the router when out on the sidewalk. They came and installed a wifi extender 20' from my router, only 8' below and on the opposite wall of my 2nd camera that is furthest from the router. That was $75. Reconnected the cameras only for them to stop working a few weeks later. New tech comes out, reconnects them and says that it likely due to the router I am using then suggests that I Change out my router. I do so, then the cameras will not connect again. That next service fee was $260 to reconnect the cameras.

Then there is their motion detection on outdoor cameras. With the settings set by the tech, the cameras wouldn't pick up anything unless it happened to be a bug flying across the sensor. When I went in and turned the sensitivity to max, it would pick up a car as it drove down my road, however, it would not pick up my dually pickup pulling into the driveway and taking up roughly 50% of the view area. So in total, the system is not worth buying, as it is unreliable. The price for the quality you get is ridiculous and everything falls on the homeowner to repair or replace even if it faulty equipment.

ADT response

Our apologies for the continued troubles, Bob! If you have a service plan on the account, normal wear and tear and or faulty equipment is covered! Some plans do have a $59.00 assessment fee. Standard labor charges would only apply if you do not have the service plan coverage, and or outside alterations or changes to the equipment caused these errors to occur. we encourage you to connect back with us at 1 800 238 2727 so we can go over your account and work to help resolve this for you ASAP!

Original review: July 19, 2022

Service and customer support have been great. We upgraded our system to digital and I love it. When I've had to call for service, they've been prompt and professional.

Original review: July 19, 2022

ADT changed out our panel once, and the system seems to work. If the alarm goes off, somebody shows up, and that's the important thing. We very seldom have an alarm go off, but the thing is, ADT kept going up in their price. We went with somebody cheaper, and it was the same then pretty soon, they went up on their price. They aggravated me. So, I came back to ADT, and they offered me a bunch of stuff. I said, “Okay, we’ll go back with you.” Now, their price is getting a little much.

Original review: July 18, 2022

I am in the process of moving and contacted ADT to cancel my service. They informed me that I will need to pay 75% of the balance of my contract. We won't be moving into our new residence for a couple of months but there is no way I will use ADT again. We have been a customer for ten years. I asked to speak to a supervisor twice and did not receive a call back. I would like for someone from ADT to contact me.

ADT response

Hi Chris! Your current contract at the location where you are moving from, does not expire until Sept of 2023. When you terminate service early, as outlined in the Docu sign agreement you electronically signed, 75 percent of the service contract is due upon termination of service early. However, as you are moving, if services are reactivated at the new home within 24 months with a new service agreement, or the new home owner activates service with a new contract in their name within 24 months, any previous contract costs to cancel early are either removed or refunded back if paid. Hope this helps create a better understanding of the service agreement, terms and relocating procedures!

Original review: July 18, 2022

The system is good quality. I like it because I can set it up and not have to worry about it at night. I never had a problem with customer service too. They're good.

ADT Company Information