4.1/5 (487 ratings)

About ADT

ADT provides home security and alarm systems with features like entry sensors, motion detection, smoke alarms and leak detectors to help ensure your home, family and belongings are protected from intruders and environmental disasters. The company offers professionally installed systems available with top-of-the-line equipment for intrusion detection, video monitoring and smart-home automation.

Pros

• Variety of products
  • Reliable service
  • Smart-home connectivity
  • Six-month money-back guarantee

Cons

• Limited video capabilities
  • Installation cost

Bottom Line

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart-home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. With ADT Pulse, the system can be connected to Amazon Alexa and your smart-home devices.

ADT Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

ADT sucked. Every time I turned around, they were hammering my credit card for a different charge and I couldn't ever get an answer why. It was $11 here and $99 there and 199 there. It took them two months to figure out. They figured some salesman said something wrong was the best answer I could get. I'm happy with the features and the service is great. It's just dealing with the people, getting the service set up and the technicians. They act like they've never done this before.

Good morning William,

Thank you for your review. Please connect if you experience any issues as we advance or if you are still experiencing any ongoing issues.

Thank you! - Mazen

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

I love everything about ADT. I've got my sign proudly displayed in front of my house. And I've got those solar lights that come on and shine on it at night. My house backs up to a natural preserve, and there's a dirt road that goes behind us, so I have one of those signs in my patio facing out that way, too. Whenever something has gone off, I know if ADT couldn't reach me for whatever reason, they immediately called my son who was my backup. So, they were good about that. With phones, they would tell me that if I don't respond, they would call the police department.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

As the most expensive, I hoped ADT would be the best. Instead they messed up the initial installation appointment and failed to provide the new customer deals offered over the phone. As a result I had to sign a 12 month contract over the phone in order to have the equipment activated before I left town. I was assured that given their poor service and mistakes I could cancel any time and account was notated. Now that I would like to cancel, the company will not let me out of contract without paying full price for remaining months. Note: No equipment was installed so there was no investment by the company. Horrible overall experience with multiple examples of false promises made. Can’t trust them with my family’s safety.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

My husband had wanted the alarm taken out. He has been going through a lot of medical problems, and he decided that he didn't want the alarm anymore. I talked to ADT, and they lowered the payment every month to keep this because we've been with them for so long. The alarm has gone off a few times. But everything is fine. One was when we had some work done at the house and I had to leave. On my way back home, ADT called. When the guys who were here left out the front door, they didn't close it all the way and the wind blew it open. And by the time I got here, the police were here.

Thank you for the positive review and feedback!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2022

Excellent service. The panel is new and it's completely not wireless. We're planning to put in additional cameras in the back and front of the house. I'm very satisfied.

Thank you for the positive review and feedback!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

Signing up was nothing. The products are fine, too. The tech was great because my grandson was up here, too, and he was jaw-jacking with him the whole time he was here. ADT is dependable, and it's easy to maneuver the equipment. If I had an issue, like I did at one time, it was taken care of right away.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

ADT is not #1 company in anything! They will have you on the line for over an hour to report a problem with a unit. They will also shuffle you between incompetent customer reps back and forth, additionally wasting your time. They are not efficient, nor care about a customer. What a waste! My advice is totally seek a different company that does things better, this is a WASTE OF TIME DEALING WITH INCOMPETENT ADT.

ADT response

Hi Tania! Our apologies for the extended hold. If possible when calling in please use our automated call back feature where a rep will call back when your call is next to be answered. Our agents are trained in different departments so depending on what you need assistance with, a transfer may be required. Thank you!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

I've had a good experience with ADT. For the times that I have dealt with them, I've never had any kind of issues with them. I turn my security system on every night and when I leave my house, I feel good that I've got ADT looking after me. I would tell others they should have it. It's wonderful. It's a peace of mind. It gives me hope. When you go to bed at night and you've got your security system on, you've got something there to help you. If anything happens in the middle of the night and the window is broken or the door is jarred, the police department will know about it, and ADT will know about it and come to our rescue.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

We had our ADT system go through a complete system failure during bad weather which cause the system to start a loud alarm and then do a continuous beep every five minutes and then die down after 2 hours or so. During this period NO ONE from ADT called me to check on the emergency alarm which is what they will promise you and sell you the system on - IT'S a Massive LIE! And read on to know more and why!

I tried to call their service center over 20 times and each time they would say there is a 80 minute, 90 minute, 76 minute hold time and offer a call back and I would opt for it and NO ONE would call back. Finally after one day I got a call back and the technician could not understand English. Their reception was very poor and they had absolutely no clue how to troubleshoot. After 44 minutes on the phone I asked them if they could send out a technician and they said all They could was send me to another so called “tech expert” and at which point they blurted out being out of another country and working from home so they had NO control over HOW BAD the technology was where you could barely hear or understand what they were saying.

At this point I keep pressing them to send a technician and they then tell me that to do that I have to pay them $139 and I get flabbergasted that I pay a monthly fee for my services. They guaranteed they would always service it and now all of it is a complete LIE! I then ask to speak to a manager and they say that the manager will call me whenever! Two days go by and I get a manager voicemail promising a call back but none comes. Five days later I call to cancel my subscription and this is where their SCAM comes alive. They ask me $992 to cancel. Even if you total my monthly subscription for one year that’s a $700 so I don’t know how they came up with one month of fee plus $992!

At this point I explain my predicament to the lady on the phone and she tells me that her notes state that I refused a technician from visiting my home (A TOTAL LIE) and I explain to her why that is logically impossible and she then relents and says a technician will come home 6 days later! Now I am on day one of six so not sure if they will come but in the meanwhile I Asked her what if My house got broken into and their system would not notify the police because it has failed and that is the ONLY promise from a security company and what should I do then because I am paying for a service that does not exist and they have no guarantees to serve you! Will you allow such a fraudulent organization to service your house and let your family suffer and let your family be in harm's way and wash their hands off? Decide for yourself!!

ADT response

Thank you for reaching out to us! We do apologize for this frustrating experience that you have described. We do see that you were able to get a service technician scheduled for 11/14. It is on the priority list for sooner service. If there is additional assistance needed feel free to reach out to us directly at Alwaysthere@adt.com.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

The feature I use the most, other than the sensors on the doors is the sensor in the hallway. If I feel like I hear something, I can look at my cell phone and look at the app. I love having the app and just making sure that there's no motion detected. However, I complained against the salesperson at ADT. My options weren't presented to me the way they should have been and my questions weren't being answered. But in the end, all my concerns were resolved.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

I like ADT. I lost my remote and they said if I replaced it, it would cost me 50 bucks. So, I don't have the remote anymore. It's so little. I used to take it with me in my car, then when I drove in the driveway, I could shut it off before I came into the house because my garage doors are connected to my service. So, when I open the garage door, it will go off. So, I could always shut it off with the remote but now, I don't do that. ADT costs me like $32 a month but where I live, I'm happy I do have it.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

I've had ADT in various houses for 30 years. I'm very happy with them. I trust their reputation. ADT has been around for quite a while. There are some newer or other companies that pop up but I do feel that ADT does a good job and has kept up with technology. I like that I can turn the alarm on and off from my phone. I feel very comfortable with using ADT. I have ADT at two houses now and the tech has done a really good job working with everything to tweak the system and make sure it was working right. I live out in a more isolated area. So, we did have to put some boosters in. He worked very hard, and I appreciated his patience and getting everything together.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

Our experience with ADT has been good. We just have a Ring doorbell. We have Wi-Fi throughout. It’s good. We're using the phone through their app as well.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

I'm really happy with what I'm getting from ADT. We haven't had to use some of the features, which is wonderful. In the home that I have the ADT in, my mother lives full-time. I'm only there part of the time. My mother's 85, so it really gives me peace of mind knowing that she's safe and secure and that it's got the medical options on all those nights. So, I don't have to worry about her so much when I'm not there. The technicians that came out there have been absolutely wonderful, and very professional. They've been very kind to her and to me when they've had to come out for anything. We're very happy.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2022

ADT is the best company. My main concern was the smoke detectors in case a fire started and I was not at home. So, it's been awesome. It gives me peace of mind knowing that if I leave the house and something happens, it'll be taken care of. I got issues with the battery right now but other than that, the system's fine. It's just the hold time with ADT is extremely long. It’s good once you finally get somebody on the phone. They solve the problem.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

The customer service with ADT was excellent and very customer-satisfactory. I love the system. It's the first system I've ever had and it's pretty cool and awesome. At first, there were some complications, but my house is really old, and there are a lot of brick and double layers of drywall. So, most of it was just signal issues, but their guy came over a couple of different times and got that taken care of. It was awesome the way that he went about it and did everything. So, it worked out great.

Having ADT, I can see every side of the house, and my phone alerts me if my kids are out there. It says their names. It knows their faces, which is pretty wild. I can click on it, see what's going on, and even interact with them. It does bring a sense of security in a way knowing that this is being filmed, and I can see them, and everything's all right.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

I like ADT a lot. It's very good. The technician that came out to install was very good. He knew what he was doing and got everything done correctly the first time. I would recommend ADT.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

We were told that in order to cancel our services and not have to pay for our equipment, we just had to downgrade to the Blue service for 30 days and we would not be charged. We kept it for 30 days, and we got told we not only had to pay $2k for other equipment but now we had MORE equipment to pay-off. When we called back, the rep snarkily said "well, you signed the contract didn't you? It doesn't matter what our reps said." In other words, their reps can commit fraud and not be held legally responsible. Their sales tactics are SICKENING and I will be voicing it everywhere I can!!

ADT response

Christina- We're very sorry to learn of this frustrating experience! So we may best review your concerns and the terms of your agreement with you further we would ask you to email our team directly a alwaysthere@adt.com along with a reference to your concern and the full address of the new Blue by ADT services and the previous address.~ Thank you

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

What I don't like that much is always with the service. If I can’t do it by my own, with somebody on the phone. I had to twice. And the last one, there was a problem on the doorbell. It was broke after not even a year. I didn't have to pay that because it was too new. But I always have to pay $60 for the service. And that's a bit much. I paid 120 within a year. The system itself I like very much. I now have that fire alarm detector too. We put it the last time. That's very good too. So we are more safe, more protected.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

Having ADT, we have a comfort feeling of being away. However, signing up with them took a long time. When they tell you on the phone that you're ready to hook up, they should mean it and not drag it out.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

They were efficient during the installation. The gentleman was training someone, but they took their time and did it quickly. They explained the system to me and gave me the information that I needed. They were very pleasant. However, they sent an electrician to put up the sensor light and camera. He said I don't have a box up there, and he will call and get back to me, but I haven't heard anything. It's been three weeks, and it's just sitting in my house.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

The installation was great. They showed us how to use everything. We're glad we did it. We love ADT. I would highly recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

ADT's price is not as high as some other companies'. The person who installed the system was terrific. The system is working well. I set it arm/stay. This way, when we leave, if someone was to break into the door, it doesn't give them 45 seconds before the alarm goes off. It goes off immediately. When I get home, I could just turn it off with the app. There was a little problem last week. I gave them a call and they helped me out.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

The guy who did the installation was on time and very knowledgeable. We're not tech savvy, and he helped us out a lot. We're still getting used to it, but we like it. It's nice to know who's come up to your door, even though a lot of times, it goes off because of a deer or a cat.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

I'm satisfied with ADT. I had it at a rent house. I didn't have as much on there then I moved it to my house, and we upgraded to some cameras. We just had one doorbell and now, we have one on sides for the garage area.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

It was a little bit of a bait-and-switch. The woman on the phone was very nice. She told me the service with ADT was 59.99 a month, and I'd get the keypad, two or three door openings and a smoke detector. I contacted them and a guy was going to come. I thought he was coming around to do give me a lay of the land. But he was coming to install. He was a fantastic technician. But he explained to me that everything else was an add-on. I wound up paying for what they said was included and that rubbed me the wrong way. That was another $1,000 more. But they resolved it. They threw another $100 credit at me.

Initially, the system went down after four days, and that was where I started getting annoyed. I called them up and the woman on the phone said, “Let's walk through. Let's see if we can fix it.” I told her I didn't have time. I wouldn’t get up on a ladder and do this and that. I asked her to send their technician out. She told me it was gonna be five days. But once the guy came back out again, I haven't had any other issues.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

The rep was pleasant. He explained everything thoroughly and told me what the price was upfront. The technician came out on time and hooked up the product. He explained everything to me. He walked me through each app and showed me how to set it up. He made sure it was working before he left. Any questions I've asked have been answered. I'm satisfied with the service.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

I'm satisfied with ADT. I like that I can see it on my phone.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

I am not too happy with ADT. I was gonna take the cable off, but whatever they told me ain't what it was. I had trouble the third day, and I had to go through loops and hoops in order to get it back on. I didn't even know they charged for a technician to come out. They never said that. Why would they charge for somebody to come out? It's their product. If I would have known what I had known, I wouldn't have left Comcast.

My bill is supposed to be 105 with something, but I get billed 125 with some cents. Also, their hold time is ridiculous. Sometimes even when you're holding, it hangs up. Then you call back and wait another 45 minutes. When I talked to a rep, she was gonna send a technician. We got cut off so I had to call right back then somebody else told me something. I shouldn't have to be on the phone almost all day then at the end of the day, nothing gets fixed. It had been two times that I wanted to cut ADT off.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

The cameras are very annoying. Every time you move outside of the home, they're going off. If I go get my car, they're going off. This the second time I've had cameras, first time with ADT. When the installer was here, I told him where I wanted them. He told me where he wanted them and it ended up where he wanted them.

ADT Company Information