4.1/5 (568 ratings)

About ADT

ADT provides home security and alarm systems with features like entry sensors, motion detection, smoke alarms and leak detectors to help ensure your home, family and belongings are protected from intruders and environmental disasters. The company offers professionally installed systems available with top-of-the-line equipment for intrusion detection, video monitoring and smart-home automation.

Pros

• Variety of products
  • Reliable service
  • Smart-home connectivity
  • Six-month money-back guarantee

Cons

• Limited video capabilities
  • Installation cost

Bottom Line

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart-home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. With ADT Pulse, the system can be connected to Amazon Alexa and your smart-home devices.

ADT Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

The installers came right in and talked to me about where I wanted to place the security system. Everything worked out fine. So far, my service has been okay with ADT. The kids love it too. My grandbabies love where it’s hidden.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

Everything went well with ADT, with the exception of my roof being broken. The tech fell and put a hole in it. He was honest. Customer service was knowledgeable of whatever I needed and they are quick. They understand what I need whenever I call. I like the app and how you can switch between multiple things that you want to see.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

I like everything about the system. I can use it with the app and everything is pretty good and super convenient. We're still protected whenever I'm not home.

ADT response

Thank you for the feedback and for joining the ADT family!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

I don't like the voice activation part of the system. It's weird now how ADT changed that. The beeping sound is also weird. ADT had a different one before. This is irritating the way it calls out the doors and stuff. But signing up this time was the same as the first time. It was good.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

We got the Ring doorbell and we have the feature where we can unlock the door from the phone. When our tech hooked the system up, he was friendly and fast. The Ring doorbell picks up everything and it's aggravating sometimes with the alert. But overall, the service is decent and we like it. They're very high-tech and upgraded. We feel a little safer.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2022

I had an ADT system installed last year and had I known what I was getting I would have saved my money. We have two outdoor cameras, an indoor camera and the security system. Early this week my garage door malfunctioned and didn't close, and between this time (about 5pm) and my husband getting home from work (6:15 pm), someone walked right into our garage and stole approximately $3,000 worth of bikes. I quickly went to my ADT app to review footage from the camera that was pointed down at my garage doors only to find out that it had stopped working 4 days prior!

I called ADT and customer service quickly went to work trying to figure out how this malfunction was my fault. My internet speeds are over twice the recommended speeds, I hadn't reached my upload cap and everything had been working for a year prior to this with all of the same settings as the day this theft occurred! So I start looking into the ADT theft protection guarantee. This not only requires a homeowners claim, which would cost me $750 in a claim free discount and it would only pay $500 of my $2,000 deductible, but it wouldn't cover me anyway, because it is written in such a way that the circumstances have to be very specific. Your garage does not qualify because they don't put door sensors on garage doors. I also wouldn't qualify because I was home and didn't have the system armed.

It ONLY covers the inside of your house with the system armed. It does not offer any protection for malfunctioning security cameras. I paid almost $1,000 for this system and pay an additional $60 every month for the monitoring and am stuck with it until 2023. Save your money and ook elsewhere, because when it counts, ADT is only there to take your money and offer nothing in the way of real security.

ADT response

We're so terribly sorry to learn of this experience you've had as a member of the ADT family! We would love to address these issues with you further. If you could please email our team directly at Alwaysthere@adt.com with the full address in which the services are located and the account details along with your post for further assistance.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2022

The guy who came was very professional and it just took him about an hour to hook up everything. The only thing is that ADT's a tad bit expensive.

ADT response

Thank you for the feedback and for joining the ADT family!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2022

I redid a bunch of stuff in the house, and really expensive stuff. The alarm company I had went out of business last year. I hadn't thought about replacing them, but I remembered ADT so I called them and they set it up. They were clear about everything they would do, what they could offer and the price it would be for what I wanted. I got two cameras. The doorbell that I had wasn't pulling enough amps to run the camera so I had to call the power company out to change the transformer in the doorbell so it would pull enough amps for the camera to work on the doorbell. That took a couple of weeks. ADT came back and put the doorbell in and that was the end of that. So, the cameras that I ordered are here now and working. I have the app on my phone and I can turn the system off and on anywhere in the world.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2022

ADT's customer service was good and they switched things over for me within a few days. When I called, they were always there. If something went wrong, they were there. They always came out and fixed the problem. The only thing is the price of things is a little steep.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

My other security kept changing companies and I never knew what number to call or who to talk to. Then I got a call from them telling me that my system was going to be outdated because of the switch to 5G. This was a good time to look into some other companies. My son and my sister both had ADT, and they were happy with it, so I called them to get a quote. I also called one other company. Both ADT and the other company sent somebody out to give me an estimate. I never heard back from the other company, and I wasn't comfortable going with one that wouldn't even get back to me, so I went with ADT.

The customer service is pretty good when I call, except that I have to wait a long time to talk to somebody. But then when I get somebody to help me, ‘cause I have had a couple of issues, they've been really helpful and very friendly. It's just they need to hire more people. My only issue with them is that their price is high. I only paid my other company $25 a month, and I'm paying ADT 62, which is quite a jump. But I have cameras with the system, so I guess it covers that. Overall, ADT is a reliable company.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

Customers that have ADT were satisfied and ADT is better compared to other companies. Customer service on the phone was helpful. I don't know anything about security systems and the guy was able to explain to me how many sensors, what was included in the package, what the price would be, and how much the product and the service were gonna cost me. When a person came to the house to install, he was really friendly. This person works a lot in this area so he was not only able to help me with the system but also with what's around this area where I live.

Check other people's reviews on the system. That's really important. People's opinions and past experiences with the ADT alarm system got me to go with ADT. The response when the alarm goes off is pretty accurate. That makes me feel safer at home when I'm sleeping or I'm away from home and my family stays back here.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

The reps were helpful. Everything went good. I'm happy with it.

Resolution response: Jan. 29, 2022

My issue was resolved and they credited my account.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

I have had ADT since 2016. My service had been good until December 2021. I had to call them to replace a battery in my outdoor siren. The first technician, which was a contractor, could not repair it and said he needed to order a new battery. A couple of days later a new siren was shipped to my home. The second tech, which was an ADT employee, came by and was surprised I had been shipped a new siren. He put it up but the included battery was bad. He stated another tech would need to come back and replace the battery. The contract tech that originally came returned a couple weeks later and put in another battery and the siren worked. The second tech had said the charge would be $50.00.

I asked after the repair if I needed to sign or if I could have a receipt and he did not have either. After the contractor left I checked my account and I had been charged $241.68. I have attempted to get this corrected since December 29 but the only answer I get is that the branch will need to call me. I have never received that call. The branch has no phone number and no way to contact them. I was told by customer service the only recourse is to be contacted by the branch. I feel I was scammed by the contractor and he and ADT are extorting customers for repairs that are not needed. If you have ADT beware if need any repairs done. I will be canceling my service when my contract expires.

ADT response

Hello Stephen. Thank you so much for reaching out to us. We're so sorry for the troubles and frustrations you've endured. We've reviewed the account and have waived the balance. You can review the information on MyADT.com as well. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

The original guy didn't show up for work so another guy took his place, and ADT changed the time, which was fine. He couldn't get the system to work because our system belonged to somebody else. We didn't know how to get in touch with the person we bought the house from so we didn't have a code. The office couldn't get him a code as well. He couldn't fix it and had to leave. A week later, a different technician came out and had the same issue. Then that one came back a few days later and got it to work. He went through the whole system with me and he explained it to me and we logged it in and did it before he left. Since then, I haven't had any issues.

But there was definitely miscommunication between the people in the office and the guy doing the install. It was inconvenient for that. If someone owns the system and a technician from ADT comes out, they are not allowed to give them the code so they can change the code and pass it on to a new user. That's a ridiculous rule unless they don't trust their guys on the road. Outside of that, it was great.

We'll have Wi-Fi tomorrow and ADT's gonna come back out and do the cameras. I like the fact that every window and door has a buzzer. When it opens, if it's armed, I know exactly where they're coming in at. That's fantastic. I also like the fact that I'll be able to look up and see if it's Jehovah's Witness, I'm just gonna pretend I'm not home.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

I liked ADT's pricing. The technician I had was extremely knowledgeable, very friendly, professional, and he answered questions. I like my service and I'm very happy with ADT. One nice thing about it is the numbers are much larger. When I set the alarm, I can see them more easily. One thing I find aggravating is whenever I open the door, the system tells me what door I opened like if it's the garage door going out or the front door. It was a little kind of unnerving at first but I am getting used to it.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

I like my ADT system. It keeps us safe. When I called them recently, the rep said that it's showing on their end that the battery's low in the sensor on my windows, so I was going to get some batteries for that. But they shouldn't have went out this quick. Aside from that, when someone rings the doorbell, we can't hear it on the inside, just outside and only if we got our phones right there. So if somebody's ringing the doorbell, we won't know that somebody's at the door. Then, I was supposed to get a gift card from them for being a new customer, but I haven't received anything yet. Other than that, the service has been great. I had an issue before because they were saying I wasn't going to be able to get the Ring Doorbell. But the rep ended up connecting it anyway.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

I used to have ADT when I lived in Springfield a long time ago. Then it was crucial that I needed some form of insurance for my house so I called them. The customer service was very nice. It's just that I'm looking at my bills all the time because it's too much sometimes, and I saw twice, $61, were charged to my account. I already paid them 400 and something dollars to put the alarm. I had to dispute and they returned the two charges back to the account. They should send me a bill and tell me that I'm supposed to pay them that, not going to my account and just pick up the money. Otherwise, they're doing a good job so far. Everything is okay with my alarms and my new locks.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

ADT's sales rep was terrible. He gave bad advice, wrong information, and I was very disappointed with that part of it. But the person who came and installed the system was 100 out of 10 and ended up saving me some money in the long run. I had asked the sales rep if I could use the Sky Panel that I already had and if I'd be able to use all the sensors on all the windows to save the money. He said that everything was compatible and not to worry about it. He also said that I didn't have to come out of pocket for anything. So, I told him to send the technician over.

Two days later, a technician comes over. When he looked at everything, he said he couldn't do the job and that the stuff I had weren't compatible. He said I should get a new monitoring system with all the panels, not the Sky monitor, and it was going to be $800. But I told him I didn't have $800 to give him at the time. So, after calling his manager and explaining the situation, the supervisor said that they'd give me $350 with financing and zero money out of pocket. So, it worked out great and the technician really saved me the headache. Everything else was excellent as well.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

We decided to go with a different company initially but I could never pull up their cameras. It was driving me crazy. I called ADT and they were able to use all of our cameras on the house, which was really nice. We didn't have to buy anything extra. They tapped into the whole system we had bought through the other company. Everything was covered and they work great. Also, the reps were great. They answered all of our questions and got everything done in three hours. ADT is more expensive than the other company I had but I feel like I'm safer. I can get to my cameras immediately when I'm looking at them from away from the house and it's easy to use the app.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

ADT's reps have done everything they were supposed to do. When the contractor was here, he was in and out pretty quickly. So far, everything works fine.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

They couldn't get the install at our last house right. We couldn't set the alarm. We called them up. Then, the fire alarm went off and they called us to turn it off but it wouldn't turn off. But the alarm in our Huntington Beach house is fine. It was a different crew that did the installation and everything works fine here.

ADT response

Hi Scott! Our apologies for any troubles you may have had! If a service call is required for any repair, one can be scheduled! Our technical support line can be reached at 1 800 238 2727. If there is anything that needs to be resolved, we are ready to help! We appreciate your feedback!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

The installer who came was a good guy. He did a good job. He had to go out and get another part, but he made it happen in one day. As far as the ADT system, I like the touchscreen and wirelessness.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

The installation of my ADT system went professionally. I was very appreciative of the time the individual took to properly install wirings so it wasn’t just hanging out on a wall. Everything was done very well. I was very pleased.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

We've had a lot of complaints about the guy that installed everything. It took him two full days, like 9:00 in the morning until one night. We had to ask him to leave at 11 o'clock at night because he still wasn't done. He watched videos of tutorials for two hours before he started the job at my dining room table. So he came in not knowing what he was doing. But he also said that the new Google equipment that we purchased was his first home, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

He offered to install our Google Nest thermostats. We have two of them, one for downstairs, one for upstairs. My husband was at work, and I don't know anything about drywall or how big holes are supposed to be. When my husband came home, he was livid because the hole was bigger than my head and he said that was absolutely unnecessary.

After that, he didn't have time to explain the system to us. We also didn't want him to come back. We just looked on YouTube to try to figure out what to do with it. He installed the Google thermostats wrong. He cut the wiring too short and then he put the wires in the wrong places. So we were at 60 degrees in our house for the last three days. So we hired somebody to come last night, for $200, which another person on ADT said that they were gonna reimburse us.

The only person I've been speaking to is the salesman who schedules the maintenance. He offered if I wanted to do anything. I'm happy that he is making sure I get that reimbursement, the $200. The only thing I've used the system for is to set the alarm on and off. I am having another problem. The system, I can't put Home Away, I can only put Home Stay. Because when I put Home Away, it constantly beeps. So I've only been using that one.

ADT response

Drema- We're very sorry to hear of this upsetting experience you've had as a member of the ADT family! Please email our team directly at alwaysthere@adt.com along with a reference to your review and pictures of these damages so we may best address this situation ASAP. ~ Thank you

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

The ADT representative who came out was really knowledgeable. He did a really good job. He was able to get my camera to work and do the Wi-Fi extension. He went through the whole system with me. As far as the system, there's nothing that I don't like about it. I have the camera. The system is really easy to use, which I was afraid about to begin with but I'm able to use it and my family is. I would definitely recommend ADT for service.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

I have two systems ‘cause I have two different houses. I added my second house to the ADT system. My first system, we've had it for a couple of years now. I just upgraded it at the beginning of this month. The tech was really good, nice and knowledgeable. Was easy to talk to. The big feature that was new with the ADT Control compared to the ADT Pulse was the touchscreen control pad, which is awesome. Then also the cameras. The cameras were 10 times better with ADT Control than they were with the old ADT Pulse. They were bad on the ADT Pulse. Plus, it has the capability of two-way conversation through the cameras. Which is awesome when you have kids at home and you're like, “Go to the bus.”

We always had an issue with the ADT doorbell never wanting to connect, always bombing out. So with this one, they brought the new Google doorbell. So far, it's been really nice. The only downfall is that I have to have another app to be able to access it. It's not run through the ADT Control app. I have to run it through the Google Home app.

I'm paying for two houses and they combined both the monitoring under one payment, which is awesome. But then I have two other payments that are coming out randomly throughout the month that are for the installation payment or for the actual equipment itself. When they told me, with the package, that it’s going to be automatically all rolled up into my monthly payments, I was like, “Cool.” So on this monthly payment, I expected an additional 20, and on this one, I expect an additional 10.

But when I talked to the lady from customer service this morning, I was like, “Why is it showing in my system three separate payments?” She said, “These are flexi payments on this one and flexi payment on this one. They're gonna come out on these dates.” So through ADT right now, I have my monitoring for both houses on one bill. Then I have turned around and I have the flexi payment for one house on another bill that comes in on the middle of the month. Then I have another flexi payment that comes out at the end of the month, instead of having it all combined under one payment.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

I've had ADT before, and I was happy. I decided to work with them again. I've had great experience. It's easy to use, and their customer service is great. They're just a little too expensive but with expensive comes certain things which they provide, so I'm happy.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

I'm very satisfied with the features of my ADT system. It's very smart. But I'd like to turn it off a little bit because of where we come in and out of the door so much and I need to learn how to do it a little bit better. I haven't done it yet, but I'm sure there is a way to turn it off to where it doesn't tell me that the back door or the front door is open every time it’s open. Other than that, it is easy to use and I love to be able to monitor stuff on my cellphone where I downloaded the app. That is awesome. Since having the system, I feel more at ease, especially where I live in town. I moved from the country to the town and I needed that security.

ADT response

Thank you for the feedback and five-star review!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

Everybody from ADT was wonderful to work with. They were very detail-oriented. They hit on every point that I asked. Everything that I asked, they had a counter answer to. The installer was here for quite some time. We had a whole package, so we pretty much needed the whole house down with sensors, window breaks and cameras. It was just a one-man show so he was here for a few hours, but he got it done. ADT is a great company. The alerts are pretty on par with what I was looking for. I love the quality on the camera.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

I’ve had ADT before and I went back to them. The technician I worked with was efficient. The installation was quick. There was something that he needed to connect everything, and he was very considerate of my time. He was very knowledgeable, too. He walked me through everything that he was doing. He was not wanting to drill in places that would not have been accessible to me.

ADT Company Information