3.9/5 (485 ratings)

About ADT

ADT provides home security and alarm systems with features like entry sensors, motion detection, smoke alarms and leak detectors to help ensure your home, family and belongings are protected from intruders and environmental disasters. The company offers professionally installed systems available with top-of-the-line equipment for intrusion detection, video monitoring and smart-home automation.

Pros

• Variety of products
  • Reliable service
  • Smart-home connectivity
  • Six-month money-back guarantee

Cons

• Limited video capabilities
  • Installation cost

Bottom Line

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart-home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. With ADT Pulse, the system can be connected to Amazon Alexa and your smart-home devices.

ADT Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: July 18, 2022

I've had ADT for years and it's been fine when I talk to the rep. I'd recommend them.

Original review: July 17, 2022

I wanted to get ADT because I needed the protection on my house. I love the service. It's good. The camera does good in the daytime. The only thing is when you get around by 8 o'clock at night, it goes out and I can't see anything until the next day when there would be daylight. With the first camera I had, I told the lady at ADT about it and techs came out and gave me a whole new camera. But this one is doing the same thing as the old one so I don't worry about it because I'll be home at night.

I changed my internet and I didn't know that I had to get everything redone. ADT came out and they saw a whole lot of stuff wrong like the wire was loose. They knew all of that stuff when they got there. The alarm system is off the chain. Everything is great. The system is easy to use and I do it off my phone. When I leave the house, I put Arm Away and it'll arm the whole house. It'll say the house was successfully armed.

Original review: July 17, 2022

ADT is a great service that I don't need to think about. When they had to do an update on the wireless communication, the tech did a good job.

Original review: July 16, 2022

I have been very pleased with ADT. They’re the best. They are friendly, prompt, answer questions, and do their work quickly. The system has been working perfectly for us. I feel safe in my home, and my home is safe when I'm not here. I'd highly recommend ADT.

Original review: July 15, 2022

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT CONTRACT WITH THIS COMPANY!!!! It has been a non stop nightmare and they will not allow you out of your contract and are charging $8000+ for the so called "installment fee" that we pay for 5 years even though their installation was faulty and my equipment has been glitching since install. EIGHT tech appts for different things and they still won't let me out of it. I am hiring an attorney and hoping to take this to the Attorney General. Worse company I've ever dealt with.

ADT response

We're so terribly sorry to learn of this unacceptable experience you've had as a member of the ADT family! We would love to address these issues with you further. If you could please email our team directly at Alwaysthere@adt.com with the full address in which the services are located and the account details along with your post for further assistance.

Original review: July 15, 2022

ADT reps have always been courteous and very helpful with my concern. Also, the system works fine. I feel very secure with ADT protecting my home.

Original review: July 15, 2022

I'm doing pretty good with the home security system, and I'm satisfied. It tells me everything. It tells me about each window and door I have open, and it lets me know when the alarm is on and I forget about it. When I open a window, it'll go off, and all I have to do is put my secret number in there and everything works good.

Original review: July 14, 2022

I really liked the remote monitoring and the smart home features that ADT had and the fact that they would install it. I wouldn't have to mess with it. There was a technician dispatched a few months ago and he was outstanding. I was really happy with his knowledge and his ability to quickly discover what the problem was. The people I've been dealing with on the phone weren't really able to diagnose the problem. Part of that was because of me. I had misinterpreted what the issue was. It was a low battery on one of the sensors. I thought it was on the garage door. But it was on an entry door from the garage. It took the technician that was dispatched a minute or two. He said, "Here's the low battery right here. It's not where you thought it was." So he took care of it immediately.

In terms of working the system, that's fine. I have a couple of issues going on right now however with the equipment. My video doorbell, I've been trying to charge for three days. I finally sorted through all the charging equipment I had and found the one with the largest output. I have it plugged in right now. I have another video camera that is not functioning, the system can't contact it. I have a call from a technician tomorrow afternoon to help resolve that. Dealing with the system, I don't have any problems at all. It's just some of the equipment, I have problems with.

Also, when I called, it took 20 minutes sitting on the phone for someone to respond. The person that responded couldn't help. She said she couldn't log in to my system and that she would have a tech call. The first available was yesterday and because of some conflicts I had, I set it up for tomorrow afternoon at 2:00. But that response time is not very good. But I'm happy with the ADT system overall.

ADT response

Hi Russell- Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry for the trouble with the cameras. We look forward to our upcoming service ticket to rectify all your concerns.

Stay safe!

- Mazen

Original review: July 13, 2022

Using ADT is very easy after you get used to doing it. It makes me feel safe because I know that my alarms are gonna go off when they should. And if I'm here by myself, it goes off loud enough that I can hear it if the person is trying to come in.

Original review: July 12, 2022

Rep helped me decide which alert system would be best for my medical needs, specifically my neuropathy and balance issues, and my chronic myoclonic and fibromyalgia and asthma and living alone with no family nearby.

Original review: July 12, 2022

ADT has a good reputation. When we bought the home that we have in Georgia, it was monitored by ADT. I didn't opt to do that but when I purchased the home in North Carolina, the real estate agent referred me to ADT, and I got some free stuff by going with them. The equipment was free as well as a couple of door monitors, and the outside camera. So, we got basic stuff free.

In my vacation home in North Carolina, I usually get a call in the middle of the night that an alarm has gone off inside the house, and they would ask me if I want them to dispatch the police or not. I opted not to have cameras inside the house. I opted for alarms on the doors and windows and a motion detector. Sometimes, the motion sensor would go off either upstairs or downstairs. The first time it happened, I had them send the police. Every time it's happened, it's been upstairs. A few times, I just say, "No, there's no way that anybody could get in there. It's a mouse or something like that."

The team members with ADT have always been great. The guy who came to install everything was very courteous and identified himself when he came in. He was very professional, knew what he was doing and he was nice to work with. I liked ADT so much. My mother is in her 90s, and we have one of the ADT life monitors. We had her use that.

Original review: July 11, 2022

Went with an ADT system as our builder's local guy didn't offer the same service or prices or equipment. Had to first deal with the salesperson, who did a good job explaining the equipment, but he did not offer any upgrades to the newer Google devices. Once he did his job, he was out of the picture and never again responded fully to questions asked of him.

The tech was nice enough to come to the house twice, instead of the usual one time to install the wiring. There was an issue with the build process and the city inspector that required him to do initial setup to pass the inspection, but he couldn't set up the equipment until the second visit when we had the keys to the house (the builder would not let us set up the equipment before we had the keys). Again, he was nice about everything and at the second visit it was he who showed us the new Google devices. We upgraded to those and asked why the salesperson didn't say anything about them. The tech didn't have an answer to that. Once set up was done we thought all would work as intended.

While mowing in the backyard and once a week, the backyard camera did not send alerts to my phone or email account. I contacted ADT who sent a third guy to the house. He explained that the cameras only detect and send notices up to 16 feet away. What? So, why didn't the tech, the second guy, explain that when setting the system up. The doorway on the back of our house is beyond 16 feet so this camera becomes useless for home security. To add another camera, we were told that now the house is complete and to run wires and such would be rather expensive and difficult to do.

That is a form of misrepresentation! When talking with the second guy and explaining where we wanted cameras and why - we were not told of this 16 foot limit. The third tech, by the way, was sent to us when going through ADT. He left his name and number and said if anything came up to text him. When the camera in the backyard STOPPED WORKING we texted him. A couple of days later, we texted him again. A couple of days later, we texted him again. Only going through ADT Facebook did he respond. He said he was on vacation and the timing of our texts was such that he was away. He could have texted back and said he was on vacation and would get back with us on a certain date.

He came to the house a second time and futzed with the backyard camera to get it working again. He said that it might be a bad camera and asked us to watch it for further problems. He said if it needed replacing his recommendation was to upgrade to a Google camera that should be out by the end of July. We talked about those cameras and he was supposed to find out when they were available for us and a price. He also was to let us know if we'd get some type of credit for our current cameras, just two months old.

He never contacted us back. He was texted asking about this. Nearly a week later and we texted again. No response! Was he on vacation again? Who knows! Maybe he doesn't respond to texts, like he suggested we use to contact him. The backyard camera is still not right. There are times we are in the backyard, within 16 feet, and are not sent alerts to movement in those areas.

Our take on ADT is the communication up to the time of installation is good, but they do not fully tell customers of limitations with their equipment. Once a system is in place they seem to forget or ignore the customer. They've got their money! They get their monthly fee! They forget about customer service. We're in a development where new houses are still being built. We've had a few of the new homeowners, waiting for their houses to be finalized, stop by and ask us questions. One of the topics is our ADT system, based on the sign out front. We have not and cannot endorse ADT based on our experience and we've told future neighbors the reasons. Whether they choose ADT is their choice, but we bet they won't.

Even the builder, at the time we said we were going with ADT instead of his local guy, tried talking us out of it. He cited some reasons and we brushed it off as ADT is a national company and his guy is a one-shop business. The owner is in his 70s and how much longer would this company be around. Plus, as mentioned above, ADT offered some things this local guy didn't. Did we make a mistake going with ADT, despite hearing concerns from the builder? Yes, probably!

Original review: July 11, 2022

When I was in law enforcement, ADT was one of the better agencies as far as alarms and their response and their care. We've been with them since 1999. We've just had the basic package and that has worked really well for us for the last 23 years. It's hard to mess up an alarm service. They have been very responsive to our concerns. It was immediate. If I had to move, I would have ADT at that location as well.

When they raised our rate, we were concerned and we called them. We told them we've been with them forever and haven't gone anywhere. We haven’t had any lapses in service. As a matter of fact, we have two different locations that we have ADT at because we liked the service. They brought our rate back down and gave us the credit. We're happy again.

Original review: July 10, 2022

ADT's customer service is good. If I've ever had any question, they've answered it immediately. If there was anything I wanted to be changed, it was $25 to have someone come out. My house is full of windows but they have no screens on them so I wanted to be sure to get the windows secured. I had most of my windows done.

The system is very good and simple. All I do is punch a button to set the alarm at night. In the morning, I just put in four little digits then I’m back up again. It’s really easy. I feel very secure with ADT. I had a couple of times when the alarm came on. It was pretty loud. It scared me so bad the first time it happened that I jumped out the window. My son lives very close to me and it takes him five minutes to get from his house to mine. He was over here so quickly. We called the police because we weren't sure what was going on and ADT called me immediately to tell me that the alarm was going off. The policeman checked everything out. What had happened was one of the batteries had gone out and it was in the room that I happened to have been sitting in.

Original review: July 9, 2022

This is the absolute worst company for home security. We have never had reliable service with our cameras and have spent countless days on hold with customer service and/or having technicians attend at our home to swap out equipment. We tried without success to get out of our 3-year contract because we have held up our end of the contract in good faith but ADT has not. They have refused to upgrade or fix our system at their expense and wanted us to pay out the balance of the contract to be rid of them. The last customer service rep I spoke to insinuated that as part of their services work that I should be satisfied with that as them honoring their contract. I would never recommend ADT to anyone. We pay around $60 monthly for basic monitored system with 2 cameras that work intermittently. Buyer beware!

Original review: July 9, 2022

ADT increased monitoring cost 9.3% in June 2022 and 34.2% in July 2022. I will cancel service after 24 years and install Amazon IP auto alarm dialer for self-monitoring. There should be a law against price gouging disabled veterans!

ADT response

Hi Edward- Thank you for your service. Give us a call at 1 800 238 2727. We'd love to discuss your rate with you.

- Mazen

Original review: July 9, 2022

I've only had good experiences with the reps. Everybody I've talked to has gotten any kind of problems that I had fixed without much trouble. I've been very pleased with ADT and I am 100% satisfied with the features of the system. I feel perfectly safe and perfectly safe leaving my home since I’ve had the system. Setting it is a very simple process. I just got to remember a few numbers.

Original review: July 9, 2022

I've had ADT for years and it's been great. If there's ever been a problem, they've always come out and taken care of it, which has been a while. The only thing that I don't like is when you make a payment, it doesn't go through right then.

Original review: July 8, 2022

The experience with ADT has been going very well because whenever the alarm goes, they’ll call and say the alarm has gone off. Someone puts in the correct code and so we don't have to call the police department. The system works good. ADT sends messages about updating the system so I’m in communication with them. When my sign was broken, the reps came and put the new one for me.

Original review: July 8, 2022

I'm not happy at all with ADT. I got automatic withdrawal for my bill. ADT went in my account and took some money out, when they charged me for techs coming out to my home without letting me know that they were gonna come out to install a camera and that they were gonna charge me for it. They had two people to check and nobody could fix the problem. When the guy got here, he realized the camera was unclosed. But he had already installed another camera. They didn't ask me what I preferred. The next thing I know, 39.99 was coming out for my monthly bill and another $145 and some change coming out for them coming out.

That messed my account up. When you're on a fixed income, the extra $150 coming out of your account hurts your account. We're on Social Security. When I tried to call ADT to tell them about that, I couldn't get a manager on the phone and I couldn't get anywhere. I haven't even received a phone call back from their manager to explain how come they were able to just go into my account and take money out. I was very dissatisfied with that.

Original review: July 7, 2022

Navigating ADT’s system is easy and outside of being overpriced, they’re fine. I have the system in my home because it's required since I live in a gated community. I have to do it for insurance purposes. But I use it because I have it.

Original review: July 7, 2022

I'm very happy with my service. The system is simple and I have everything I need. Also, anybody I’ve had to work with either on the phone or in person has been very pleasant. They're always here on time. If I need an emergency, they get here really fast.

Original review: July 6, 2022

I've had the services of ADT for more than 10 years and I have never had a time when I was not able to reach them immediately on the phone, if I needed anything, or had any questions or needed equipment replaced. Excellent customer service. They go beyond the call. They ask questions about things that you probably haven't ever thought of if you're calling with a problem. If you need a service call, they are able to schedule it and execute it very efficiently. The app was also a wonderful improvement because it's very nice being able to arm it and disarm it wherever you are.

Original review: July 6, 2022

ADT is easy to operate and I feel comfortable with it. I've been with them for so long and the system has been working fine. I would recommend them.

Original review: July 5, 2022

We've had good service. I accidentally set the alarm off every now and then. But they call us, we give the code, and that's it. Recently, they upgraded everything. Didn't cost me anything. I decided I wanted to move one of the controls in our laundry area. It was in a spot that just wasn't comfortable the way our washing machines were. Just a couple of hours, the tech was there and he moved it for me. I'm really happy with ADT.

Original review: July 5, 2022

ADT's customer service has always been really good. If we accidentally set the alarm off or if something sets the alarm off, they're right on it. It is monitored 24/7. So far, I've been very well pleased with them.

Original review: July 4, 2022

I've been an ADT customer for 31 years. We've always had good customer service. The systems have always worked. They’re very reliable.

Original review: July 4, 2022

When we moved to Texas, ADT was the first to approach me. I’ve heard of them so I went with them. I’ve been with them since 2016 and I've been very happy. I first had the Pulse system then I moved to the Control system, which I like a lot better. It has a lot more features. I have different options. I’ve been very happy with ADT's customer service too. We’ve had a few glitches here and there. But upper management stepped in and resolved those issues. I recommend ADT.

Original review: July 3, 2022

The equipment of ADT has gotten better. We've had upgrades. Now, they have the thing that you can wear. If you're in your house by yourself, you wear a little pendant if you fall. They're very good. We're very pleased. Their customer service has been wonderful.

Original review: July 3, 2022

ADT's system works fine and I have no problem with it. I am happy with the service. I set it when I'm here and I set it when I'm not here. Also, customer service is very responsive.

ADT Company Information