Get a Quote

4.2/5 (1172 ratings)

About ADT

ADT provides home security and alarm systems with features like entry sensors, motion detection, smoke alarms and leak detectors to help ensure your home, family and belongings are protected from intruders and environmental disasters. The company offers professionally installed systems available with top-of-the-line equipment for intrusion detection, video monitoring and smart-home automation.

Pros

• Variety of products
  • Reliable service
  • Smart-home connectivity
  • Six-month money-back guarantee

Cons

• Limited video capabilities
  • Installation cost

Bottom Line

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart-home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. With ADT Pulse, the system can be connected to Amazon Alexa and your smart-home devices.

ADT Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

The sales process was fairly simple and straightforward. I understood the salesperson but I was a little bit confused about the cost. I was using a payment plan of three payments over a three-month period and I assumed that it would be a little bit less than it was. But that may have been as much my fault as the salesperson, so I'm not gonna put that all on him. And I called and got that cleared up. The reps came out when they said they would. The gentleman who put the service in did a good job of trying to satisfy what I requested and everybody was cordial. I'm not very tech-savvy and they were able to share with me how to use the system on my phone without any difficulties. So, everything went well.

I had to put in a Wi-Fi first and I was able to get it within a couple of days. ADT stuck with the tentative date they gave me so, all of that happened within a two-week window. I have outside cameras, which is most important to me, and I like that about the system. I also like that I can disarm and arm the system from my phone anywhere I am. The services I'm getting are fine and I didn't request any more than I needed at this point. If I need something further, it would depend on how much I can afford. So, right now, I’m doing what is simplest for me and most cost-effective.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

I have ADT at my current house. So, I was just transferring the service to a new location. The installer was great. He's very friendly, explained the system and he did a good job installing it. My old system has a lot of the older technology. So, they upgraded it to the newer technology. But overall, it's pretty much the same. The features are great. I like being able to use my phone to disarm the system.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

I liked the reliability of ADT, their customer service, and what they offered. The installer did a great job. He was very knowledgeable, patient, and courteous when working around the house. I have the phone app and I like the notifications that it gives me as well as the ability that is with me because my phone is with me everywhere. I can disarm when I'm coming home and don't have to wait to walk through the door or I can arm the system when I'm in my bed.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

The home I purchased already had an ADT system installed so I decided to continue with it. My rep was very informative, explained everything to me, and showed me kind of different options. The installation crew had to review some of the wiring and help me get things set up. They were very helpful and cleaned up the third-party wiring that was here before and made it look a lot better. They did it well. I am now able to control everything in the system through one app and it's all very convenient. Overall, it was a great experience.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

We had ADT on our first home and then we rented and went over to their sister company. Then we bought a new house and got ADT again. I like that ADT is reliable. I also like that they constantly improved the features. When we first started, they had the touchpad keypad, and it was nice. Then when we finally upgraded, we had a touchscreen keypad and I'm able to see their enhancements. In the old system, you had to put your code in every time. But now, they have a quick on feature. I like the cameras. Typically, they're very clear and they have a good range. They're easy to see during nighttime or even bad weather. I feel better when I have this system in place because I feel like we have full surveillance of our house.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

ADT's reps were good to talk to. They were really brief about the sign up process then it took them about four hours to set everything up. They explained everything to me and went into good detail which as a truck driver, I could understand. With my ADT system, everything's logged in on my phone and on my brother's wife's phone. And if we have any issues, we’ll see them on the screen. If we don't know the vehicle, we’ll see the video for it and I got the cameras set up where I can talk to them across the cameras even though I'm out over the road and there's nobody home. Later on, I'm going to have another security system put in when I get the garage built. I also told my brother about ADT and he’s talking about getting one now.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

The person I spoke with on the phone was pretty good and the person that was in the home doing the installation was excellent. He was very nice, professional, and quite efficient. He walked us through everything. I enjoyed the guy. I like the convenience of my ADT system. I like having the app and being able to see what's going on through it. That's pretty cool.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

We had trouble getting a sales rep to our house. He wanted to do everything over the phone and kept trying to reschedule our appointment four times. We live an hour away from Tucson, Arizona. He said he could just look at your house via Google and try to give us an estimate that way. That really pissed my husband off. We're in the military and we expect the very best at all times. Not everybody can give it but this dude was telling us he was prior military too. I called and wanted to speak to somebody higher up than him because I didn't want to deal with him anymore. It turned out that he's the regional manager. That was really bad.

We just couldn't wait for him to get here, look at our house and everything that needs to be done then just get out. He needs to find a different job or he needs some coaching. We were appalled. We are consumers and we want this product in our home. I tried to go to management about this but it didn’t go any higher up than this regional manager. ADT didn't want to give me information so I was not happy about that. I kept getting transferred. I was ready to drive to the Tucson, Phoenix office because I was like, “I don't want this guy who seems like he's very complacent in life, that just doesn't care, to go into my house and try to sell me a security system when my husband’s a cop, and he's in the military.” It did not sit well with us.

Thankfully, ADT sent some guy who came in to do the install and he was great. He went over everything and he sat down with us. He is a great employee for ADT. The system has been nice and we've enjoyed it. I have to be here by myself until February so it makes me feel safe, which is the most important thing. We had another tech come out and he was great too. He came right away and installed the thermostat. Other than the sales experience, my husband and I are very pleased and we’re glad that we went with ADT.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

The ADT rep was a good guy and he did a good job. He showed us all how to do the alarm. Every question we asked him, he was honest and happy to help us. I used to have ADT at my home before. We just updated what we have at the house. I love it. I'm planning to refer even friends.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

I added another sensor to my window. The tech was relatively new and it took him four hours to get the install done. I wasn't pleased with that. There's a learning curve but he did have to get some help. The one thing I was concerned about was ADT Control. They're moving away from Pulse and I wasn't notified of that. So, when I go into the app store, download ADT Control, it's not accepting my ADT Pulse password. So I don't know how to get that started.

I've had ADT before and I'm not happy about the price. But it is what it is. My wife enjoys the ability to use the remote control and that's the only reason we picked it back up. Because once we disconnected last time, we no longer could use the app.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

We had ADT at our old house. We purchased a new house so we got it too. We never really had a problem with them. The technician was really nice and good.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

The tech was great. Everything is good with ADT.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

I had ADT for seven years now. My experience with them has been good. I've stopped it a while back because I had a little situation with money. But I only quit for a couple of months and I decided to start it back up again. They offered me a better deal to come back to. They've been a very good company. The reps have all been excellent. Any servicemen that have been out to the house, have always been great. Anytime I've had a situation, they've always been out right away to get it fixed up. As far as feeling secure, when you got a good setup like that, you always feel more secure, especially at night when you go to bed.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

I moved and had an ADT system installed. The installer was very friendly and answered all my questions. I like the system very much.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

In terms of service, ADT is like any other service, maybe a little more expensive. The installation tech was outstanding. He was very knowledgeable, nice, and kind. He explained everything in detail. Before doing things, he would ask if that was okay and he gave us different options on how to install different things so we were sure of what to do. But with the sales part, I didn't get very happy about that 'cause everything changed all the time. First, my girlfriend was offered everything was going to be for free, all the screen and the installation. Then, it ended up being around $1,000 more expensive because the system included cameras and some of the things.

When the techs came to install the cameras, they had to drill my whole house down to get the cameras in. So, I decided not to go with the cameras and since I let those go, the price of all the equipment was less than $500. ADT decided to charge me in three months instead of monthly for an entire contract. Also, I never got the screen for free as I was supposed to. They never comply with any of their promises. The last time I called customer support and asked about the offer that ADT made regarding the free screen and never got back from anyone. They said that they would check on it. But either they didn’t, or they just decided not to go with it. I’ll cancel the service as soon as I finish paying for the equipment.

ADT response

Hello Salvador. Thank you so much for reaching out to us. We apologize for the troubles and for the frustrations its caused. So that we can look into this further and assist, may we please have you send us a copy of your review/concern, along with the telephone number and address associated with the service to AlwaysThere@adt.com? Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

Everything went fine with the installation of our ADT. The rep was very good and helpful. He stayed with us to make sure everything worked out well. He installed it with no problem. The system definitely works well. It's convenient. But it's just one little problem. It keeps saying "cellular failure". I don't know what that means. It also blinks on and off when the door is either armed or disarmed. Other than that, it works fine. ADT is also better than Slomin's.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

The sales rep was very informative and very thorough. Also, the installation process went smoothly. I like the features in my package, although I'm still trying to figure out the temperature for the thermostat on the app because it doesn't show on the main page. The tech showed me how to get to it another way but when I first opened the app, it doesn't show the temperature. It's asking questions about the wiring configuration and I can't answer that. Other than that, if I get a notification and as soon as I log on, the app connects me to the doorbell and does not just show me a picture, unlike the previous system I had.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

Overall, signing up was good. The installation was great. The gentleman who installed my system was very efficient, knowledgeable and did a great job of explaining the options. I'm happy with the features I have. I was already familiar with many of the systems, but there's at least one system I did not have before and that I really like which is the camera. It's a nice feature.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

The rep was knowledgeable, nice and thorough when we were setting up. The house that I bought had a previous security system, so he was going through a lot of the same wiring. The box that it was hooked into was locked and didn't have a key so he had to break the box, and he made sure to ask me if it was okay before he did. The ADT system is very easy to use although I wish I was better at using the app. There's a way for me to set my alarm or to turn it off remotely, and I haven't been good about figuring that out yet. But I have what I need and I am satisfied with the features. I have always felt secure in the house but it’s my mother who has the higher sense of security since I’ve had the security system because I live alone.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

I've accidentally set my system off a couple of times and they've been responsive. They were out pretty quick. Also, they've been keeping everything updated pretty decent.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

ADT gave us everything we were looking for and we’re very satisfied. The reps were very professional. Any question I had, they answered them. They were very helpful also. The only thing was I didn't quite understand the whole process of when we moved into our new home. I was under the impression that it was 179 bucks for the initial fee and it ended up higher. They told me I needed sensors for all the windows and doors. Also, the install guy didn't leave us a sign for the front yard. He also didn’t clean up the debris when he drilled into the wall.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

The rep was respectful and explained everything he was doing. He looked into everything and got the system set up. After he did it though, I had to go to my Wi-Fi provider and get an extended Wi-Fi because the cameras weren't working. We didn’t need the extender that we purchased from ADT and I keep trying to figure out how I am gonna send this back and get it refunded. I never got information on that. I’ve been trying to send it back and every time I call, I’m on hold so I'm unable to hold that long in some cases. But the features in my package are secure enough and I like them. I don't care if a cat and dog walk past there. It lets us know who's out there. You can get a good vision of it. I cannot get used to the camera because there’s nothing colored at night. But I’m liking the service. It’s very prompt. I will recommend people to get it if they don't know what to do.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I'm very happy with the installation. The technician who did it was very thorough. But I became less satisfied when I called after an issue. I live in an area that's extremely windy and the alarm went off in the middle of the night but I didn't hear it. The alarm did not sound off and it was kind of concerning. I don't know if it was connected and I'm curious about that. I've called and the person I talked to didn't know.

ADT response

Hello Irene. We apologize for this frustrating experience. If we need to send a technician out to check the sensor that caused a false alarm, please call us at 1-800-238-2727 so we can assist further.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

ADT has a good package and I'm happy with it. It's very convenient and easy to use. Both of the guys who came for the installation were nice but neither of them had signs or stickers. The second guy that came out told me he would stop by and drop them off, but he never did.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

The rep was wonderful and nice. He still guided me through the system even though I knew and he would also ask. I had the garage with Vivint and he also told me that ADT had that system too where I open the garage with my phone. The sense of security is wonderful. It’s like I’m there looking at it myself with my eyes. I can look on my camera on my phone and see. The vision of it is wonderful.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

I had the system in Michigan and I wasn't aware that I had to start a brand new contract when I moved. I was a little disappointed about that because I was grandfathered and clocked in at a certain amount. But other than that, I'm very satisfied with my service. The tech did an awesome job during the installation. We set common grounds on communication. He informed me what he was doing and went over the new program because this is a different program than what I previously had several years ago. He was very thorough and very knowledgeable.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

We had ADT in a previous house and we moved so we wanted to transfer the service over. Our sales representative was really awesome to work with. The guy who came for the installation explained everything. He was very respectful of the property and did exactly as we asked. They asked for placement of certain things and they put them exactly where we wanted. The interface for the security panel is a lot better than the previous one and the mobile app is much better than the previous mobile app too.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

The person who came out was amazing and I appreciate everything. The system takes a picture of people when they walk through the door and whoever's entering the alarm code on the keypad. I love that feature. It's been a great experience with ADT.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

My mother passed away and the service was discontinued when her house was sold. 3 months later I am still being billed. I spoke to several account managers that have told me this was cleared up and taken care of, however I am constantly harassed by their collections department up to 4 times a day.

ADT response

Hello. We send our deepest condolences to you and your family. We have escalated your concerns to Protection One and have requested they contact you directly. Thank you, Carla

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

We use ADT for our business. We've had them for the past five years and never had any issue. So, we decided to stay with them when we moved. The installer was good. I was a little disappointed in the salesperson that I spoke with on the phone because they didn't give us any insight as to the cameras and stuff that we were hoping to have installed. They didn't let us know that it needed this much internet speed and make sure we had all that done beforehand. So, we just went with our basic internet package. They came out two days before ADT.

So when he came out, he said that he couldn't install the cameras that we wanted because we didn't have the adequate internet speeds. I wasn't gonna turn around and pay Spectrum $100 to come out and give me a new modem and then another $50 a month just for cameras. So, it was quite the debacle when he came out here. But other than that, he was good.

The only other issue that we had was since we were moving, I was thinking that we were just transferring service. Apparently, that was not the case. I realized after the fact that I was gonna have to call and cancel the old location's monitoring, 'cause I went in and logged everything online, and I realized there was another bill for the old address.

I called and they had not stopped service there. They were like, "We require a 30-day notice." I said, okay. But, that would have been nice also for the representative that I spoke to when I was talking about transferring my service to say, "We need to go ahead and put in a request to cancel that service on such and such date. And then your new service will be on a different bill." So, now, whenever I get that final bill sometime mid-November, I'm gonna have to call and dispute the two months of extra charges on there.

ADT Company Information