Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

210 Panasonic Microwave Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 13, 2019

I really like this Panasonic microwave as it replace my last one which was age. It has not missed a beat for the uses that this family of seven needed. We mostly use it to reheat leftovers, tv dinners and of course popcorn. We are not skilled enough to attempt meals.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Larger overall size than I wanted. BEST part is that your clock is NOT required to be set in order to use like some models. I have no idea how to work the defrost button as there were no directions and it makes no sense with the numbers that come up and the timing results - so I never use it. Not too loud. Sleek and easy to clean. I like the other controls.

Get expert buying tips about Microwaves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 7, 2019

This microwave was already in the house I bought and after 6 years, it still works well. I have had 3 Panasonic microwaves in different houses and they have all worked well with no problems and they have lasted for as long as I lived in the houses.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Absolutely love the Inverter series of Panasonic microwaves. We have always used two in this house for more than a dozen years, and have had the same broken door spring issue repeatedly on every one. Our favorite model is NN-SN942 series, which includes NN-SN968. Our last 2 pair have been NN-SN942B, but we quit buying anything Panasonic. No matter how many times we attempt to write or have made calls, the issue is never resolved.

I am holding the Operating Instructions for our last two in my hand. Each was bought for $20 off the regular $169 price at Target on November 29, 1914. We replaced each broken door spring by ordering from Panasonic. We have replaced the springs twice. One broke in January and one broke this June. So now two beautiful units are the dump because we envision no end to the Panasonic problem. Spending $398 and repairing 4 times for 2 units in just over 3 years is ridiculous, as well as unnecessarily hard on the environment. When one spring breaks, I have to run downstairs to use my son's unit and he runs up here when his spring quits. We order two and start over. But over the years, the springs have progressively lasted a shorter time. Our units look like new.

When functioning, they are wonderful. But no one at Panasonic cares to hear about the defect. Last week, our units went to the dump. The glass inserts are going with our instruction booklets with purchase receipts taped inside to Goodwill, in hopes that someone needs one. Very many Panasonic control panels are the same, with the same instructions. The spring is our only issue.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Stay away from Panasonic. I been buying it for year now. Never had a problem until today. The microwave stop working after 2 months of use. Save your money and buy something different. I will myself stop buying Panasonic.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Panasonic?

Original review: April 12, 2019

My old Sharp microwave died this morning after 9 years, so I went to Costco to get a new one. They only had Panasonic Microwave available model NN-SA651S for a hundred bucks, a great deal. Came home, removed the dead Sharp microwave and cleaned the counter space under it. Put the new Panasonic Microwave in the space. Plugged in, set the clock and got ready to cook a frozen burrito for lunch. Set the timer for 2 minutes cooking and the thing started cooking. A minute or so later, it stopped cooking.

I was thinking, wow that was kinda quick but how come it didn't beep when it was done like my old microwave or other microwaves? The burrito was still cold so I tried to cook it a minute more and that was when I found out my brand new Panasonic Microwave was DEAD. It display code H98, which the manual says the "power supply has failed". OMG! Panasonic used to be one of the best and trusted brand and now it's just made-in-China garbage. Tomorrow I have to go back to Costco to exchange for another one. Hopefully I'd get a better one or maybe the same garbage again, SMH.

Original review: March 14, 2019

We have a Panasonic model NN-SN667B that recently started shutting down the WiFi and televisions in our home. This didn't happen originally with the microwave. I called Panasonic customer service and claims departments and they told me this was "normal". I sent the microwave back to them for evaluation and they found 'no problem with the microwave' and said they're returning it to me. I will not be using this microwave in my home and risk exposing my family to microwaves going throughout the house.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Purchased unit on 12/16/18, caught fire on 2/2/19. Cooking 2 potatoes according to manual. Power 8 for 5 minutes, Panasonic will not honor warranty because I had left room briefly to use restroom. VERY DANGEROUS UNIT. Do not buy this unit unless you intend to watch everything being cooked. Instructions also say do not open door if material inside ignites. Apparently they may cover if you watch the incineration! I do have receipt and pictures which were sent to Panasonic. I am not smart enough to get them on this site.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

What a waste of money! I used this microwave two or three times a week so was shocked when it stopped working completely yesterday... only a year and half after purchase!! It's completely dead and Panasonic says it's beyond the one year warranty. What a piece of junk!! I will NOT be buying another Panasonic microwave.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Less than 2 years ago I purchased a Panasonic microwave (model # NN-SB646S) from Walmart for $110. Had I thought to research this I would have never bought it. Recently the microwave has done for me as it has for many others, and the voltage fluctuates. We immediately unplugged the microwave as it is a huge danger and do not want it to burn our home down.

I contacted Panasonic was asked a lot of questions, sent pictures, called twice to simply be told, "Oh well you owned it over a year so you can pay to have it fixed!" Why would anyone in their right mind keep something that could kill them!!! I told the rep I would share my experience on every social media site available and that's when I was told, "Well since you want to take it to social media we can send you a prepaid label." I said, "And what will that get me!" She said, "We will see if it's a service issue but you still have to pay us to fix it." I said, "If I am going to pay to have this fixed I will simply research a company that makes quality merchandise, UNLIKE PANASONIC, and find one that cares about their customers as well." She said, "Well it's not fair to our customers that buy extended warranties if we help you." I said, "Well it's not fair to me if your product kills my family!" I ended the call as she simply didn't care.

I will not be buying anything Panasonic again, and I can assure you we are a VERY tech savvy home and have a lot of electronics. I will be sharing this with almost 900 friends on FB, Google, Yelp, Twitter and the Panasonic FB page. I am disappointed at the lack of care this company has for its customers. #panasonicyouaredangerous

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

We have just purchased a Panasonic Genius NN-ST975S. So far we have no complaints about the functionality of it but the display area is very small and I cannot read the time nor the settings for cooking. The lighting is lacking poorly. So far I love the machine but would not buy another strictly because of this deficient feature.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

When you Google microwaves lifespans it estimates 10 years on average. This one is 5. Works well but paint is peeling on the bottom. Had already been replaced once. Warrantied one year. No customer service. 100 dollar piece of crap NN3725.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Microwave set on fire. I was heating a microwaveable item I have used many times previously. Luckily I was beside the microwave. A few seconds Into the time, I saw flames inside. The metal plate on right hand side has a hole in it now where the flames were and is burnt. I see another person reported this. I loved this microwave but will never buy another one. Could have been a disaster!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I bought a Panasonic Microwave model NN-DS596B model from John Lewis in August 2017 with a two-year warranty. Expensive £305! I have discovered that it does not cook the food evenly. Rang John Lewis and was asked to contact Panasonic who gave me a case ID number. Their only nominated service centre DK AVS took two weeks to collect it and told me it takes about 4 days. Since then I have contacted DK AVS 6 times (each call takes around 35 to 45 minutes for a response) with promise to come back each time by the end of the day but never came back to me. Out of exasperation, I contacted Panasonic customer services and spoke to 4 staff again with the same response will get back to me by end of day after contacting DK AVS.

By this time and eight weeks without the microwave, I raised a complaint to Panasonic on their web page and as per experiences of other people contact was not received after 2 days. At this stage, I sent them John Lewis receipt for a refund. Finally, received response from a manager at Panasonic but have told them that I have waited long enough and have bought a new microwave (not Panasonic). A response by email at last from the manager at Panasonic that DK AVS have found nothing wrong with the microwave and nothing more could be done. Interestingly, as the microwave is still with DK AVS.

It is now 3 months since my first contact with John Lewis, I called and spoke to customer services who have reinvestigated and escalated the case, I quote” I want to let you know that I have escalated the case with your situation to our Head Office so the Service Centre will send the unit back to you as soon as possible.” This beggar’s belief that I have been without a microwave for 3 months and now they have found nothing wrong (i.e. uneven cooking) and will return the microwave as soon as possible! Maybe in 12 month’s time! I think small court is justified with this to get a refund and post this on review sites. DON’T BUY PANASONIC AND DON’T USE DK AVS FOR ANY SERVICING. I HAVE BOUGHT A MIELE AND EXTREMELY HAPPY WITH IT!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

We purchased a Panasonic inverter microwave/convection oven (NN-CD989S) with trim from Abt Electronics & Appliances in 2012. Just this week, flames/sparks were arcing in our microwave during use, a description I've seen from other online chat forums regarding this product. In all of my years owning microwaves, I have never had one stop functioning after 6 years, particularly one that this is considered a "top of the line". Adding 'insult to injury' - I just learned from our appliance store, Abt Electronics & Appliances (Glenview, IL) - that we cannot even simply replace this microwave with a similarly sized one, because the trim sizes are now completely different. If Panasonic wishes to sell microwaves that fail after 6 years of gentle use, they can at least TRY to encourage customer loyalty by keeping the sizes of their microwaves the same over a 6 year period. Presently, I see no reason why I should purchase another Panasonic microwave.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I bought this supposedly "top of the line" Panasonic microwave oven "used" ("almost new" from someone who immediately couldn't tolerate it after he had just purchased it from the store and sold he it really cheap to me). It is the poorly engineered oven you could imagine. The biggest single issue is that the door will not shut fully and securely and thus allow engagement to start cooking (it almost never closes on the first attempt, maybe 1 in 10 times of slamming it so hard the neighbors think we are renovating our home). Additionally, the interface panel is poorly laid out and unresponsive, not back-lit and sometimes does the wrong command when you push the buttons.

As a final straw, the rotating tray jumps off its track about every other day (causing obvious messes and aggravation). It was terrible to start with and has gotten worse every day until I am now ready to toss it to the curb after less than 6 months of tolerating this piece of junk. When it comes to PANASONIC Microwaves (or anything else they would put their name on now as far as I am concerned)... Forget them and move on to a real manufacturer. Either you don't know what kind of garbage they make or you wouldn't buy it.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

First inverter top of the class microwave... ended up burning (flame) in the door. Called Panasonic (was 3.5 yrs old). They charged me 113$ to upgrade and have a NNST671S shipped. I only use my microwave 6 months a year. 5 yrs later... starts making noise. Yesterday heated leftover. When opening the door to get the food out the microwave continued working. Closed the door. Fast unplugged and felt outside of microwave. Extremely HOT!!! I am a lot confused... They say it is top of the class and that their products are reliable. Now... no microwave... no news from Panasonic. This is ridiculous.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I bought this microwave 14 months ago and the power level button started working on its own a few days ago. The keypad would start beeping and changing levels without warning. The microwave is out of warranty by 60 days so after 14 months we are stuck buying a new microwave. After reading reviews online, I now realize this is common problem with Panasonic microwaves, so I will never buy another of this brand.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Purchased from large big box retailer. Had it for about 2 years when, while warming up some leftovers I heard a strange noise. I turned around from the kitchen sink to see a 4 inch flame inside the oven on the right side. There is some kind of plate on the side wall which looks like metal. Flame was coming from there and started to catch the plastic on fire above it. (And yes for the record the container was microwave safe.) I shut it off, unplugged it and threw it outside. After doing some review checks, I found two similar cases on Amazon! BEWARE of this model. I have yet to reach out to Panasonic but I fully intend to. Had I gone out of the room I dread to think what might have happened.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Useless technical support. They won't understand the problem; they won't provide an appropriate answer. All they would keep asking for you to go to an authorized service center. Who would pay for the extreme inconvenience of going to the authorized service center which is an hour drive i.e. spend at least 3 hours for a simple issue that exists because of their inferior quality product?

Original review: July 4, 2018

I bought a Panasonic Genius Sensor 1250 W microwave oven in April. Today is July 4 and for the last week the door would not opened without me pulling on it. Junk... cannot take it back to the store and I hear that Panasonic will give me the cold shoulder. I will call to find out what they will do. I will not buy any Panasonic product again. In the past they made good stuff today junk. It worked for 90 days. Wow... Buyer beware!!!

Original review: May 8, 2018

Model NN-SU686S Panasonic microwave. Bought for $112.34. First use - put bag popcorn in for 1 minute and stayed at the unit to monitor knowing would have to add more time but wanted to learn how unit would handle a bag. Owned first Amanda microwave on the market and have had different models in my houses - read the guides everytime. Only this model smoked in less than 1 min. Backsides and top was too hot to touch. Contacted Panasonic spent $94.42 to ship back. They reimbursed. Shipping said nothing was wrong, I am out $112.34. Oh, and said they popped popcorn in it! Panasonic will not be in any of my properties. Bought at Best Buy 11/22/17. Order #. Have receipt and correspondence including return shipping info.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I am a CFESA certified tech with several decades of experience. I contacted Panasonic, got shuffled through several phone numbers. Finally got to correct dept tech services, asked for manual of product I was working on. I was told that they would not send tech manual for unit. I could go online and buy said manual. They told me that this is for liability reasons. This answer was a pure lie. If I can go out and buy it, there is no way buying it will absolve them of any liability. Unit is less than 3 years old, Mag is covered for 3 years. Plain truth is they do not want to have anything to do with units that are already sold. I have worked on several of their commercial units over the years as well, ALL junk.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I recently owned Panasonic Genius Prestige Microwave (Model: NN-SD978S) and it worked good for a while, then the issues started. It would make funny noises, the door sensor went bad. The other day it was making a noise that I never heard before... Sounded like firecrackers almost, then I smelled something burning. Smoke started coming from under the cover. I took off the cover and noticed two wires completely black from being burnt.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Panasonic NN-SF550W: I was heating some vegetables while I was in another room. I smelt an acrid, burning chemical smell and saw clouds of smoke pouring out of my kitchen. I had to go through the smoke which irritated my eyes to turn the microwave off. I then had to take it outside. The smoke was coming out from behind the keypad and lower portion of the microwave on the same side was too hot to touch. I immediately emailed Panasonic to report the fault and asked for safety data information in regard to the smoke as the smell, its effect on me and the inability to remove the smell suggested it may be hazardous. I received a phone call from Panasonic in regard to the email. They asked what I was heating, what container I was using etc apparently overlooking the details of my email. The customer service officer then asked me to return it to a Panasonic customer service centre.

I responded that they could send a courier to which they declined. I received an email from them the same day requesting purchasing information and for me to return the appliance to them. I noted that if they assessed it and determined it wasn't a fault I would have to pay for the assessment. No apology for their product smoking out my kitchen, no safety data sheets, no concern for my health or exposure to whatever the smoke was that their product produced. I will not be purchasing another Panasonic product and will have it assessed by an INDEPENDENT professional before approaching Panasonic again.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

My mother passed away almost a year ago. In clearing her home, we kept her microwave. A Panasonic inverter model NN-S443WF. Fast forward to this morning at about 5 am... Something (God) woke me about 4:40 am and would not let me go back to sleep. So I got up. My hubby is naturally an early riser, so he, too was awake. I began mulling about the kitchen, about to start making breakfast for my hubby & 3 children (soon to be 4). I smelled this awful burning plastic smell... Started investigating. Saw an outlet that had burn/smoke marks on it, and felt the plug in it (my mom's microwave). It was scalding! I quickly unplugged it, but watched to make sure. White smoke began coming from the plug holes.

I yelled for my husband, who ran to the breaker box and started flipping switches until we found the right one. Even then, I stood watch over the outlet with the fire extinguisher. Thank goodness for quick thinking, and God not letting me sleep! I don't know if my hubby would've caught it in time, as he was conducting business on the computer. We actually lost our home 4 years ago to an electrical fire, after the house was hit by lightning in the middle of the night... We got ourselves, our then 4 yr old daughter, and not even 2 month old son out safely, but we lost everything. This really has me on edge today. Please, be careful with this model. I know it's an older one, but it shouldn't cause a fire as the first symptom of something wrong with it!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

This Panasonic Inverter Microwave did not even last 3 years. I will never purchase anything from them again. It is all disposable garbage and the advice was go purchase a new one, what a rip off NN-SD681S model.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I had a Panasonic combination microwave/convection oven for many years. I was very happy with it but it eventually gave up the ghost after 25 years. I first bought just a microwave (don't recall the model number) but it lasted only a few years. The door kept sticking and then it just died. In 2013 I purchased the NN-ST651 and it died a few months ago. I went to use it one day and deader than door knob! It too had a sticky door. Both were crap machines and such a waste to have to throw them out as it costs more to fix. When are regulators going to see through this facade of "disposable appliances"? They are a disgrace as they litter the landfills and are just a bad as being concerned about our dwindling natural resources.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I received a Panasonic microwave from my son 2 to 3 years ago. I wanted to inform Panasonic A week ago I put food in and went to take it out after the time ran out and the microwave was still running. I tried that twice and both times the oven would not shut off. My daughter also grabbed food out while it would not shut off. This was dangerous and unsafe for both of us. I wanted to inform Panasonic of this serious problem but only got the runaround with numbers and asking for Visa.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Panasonic Microwave Inverter Model NN-SN651B - I think I bought it in 2015 . I just went to the kitchen to use it and it was dead, just out of the blue. I have no idea what is wrong with it. I probably will throw it out and never buy Panasonic again. Any suggestion if it can be repaired. Probably cost more to repair than its worth.

Panasonic expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Panasonic brand is perhaps most well-known for its cameras, but the company deals in other electronics and appliances as well.

• Cyclonic inverter: The heat is distributed in a 3D pattern versus a straight line for more even cooking.

• High wattage: The range of Panasonic microwaves culminates in the 1200-watt models.

• Grill heater: Heat and cook in a more natural way with the attached internal grill element.

• Convection: Enjoy dual-cooking when you switch from microwave heat to convection heating.

• Turbo defrost: Specialized defrosting process allows you to unfreeze food more quickly, without accidentally cooking it along the edges.

• Best for: Small families, large families, singles and couples. Many of the ovens feature "family-size" capacity to make it easier to choose.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs