1.93/5
Based on 187 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

192 Panasonic Microwave Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 8, 2018

Model NN-SU686S Panasonic microwave. Bought for $112.34. First use - put bag popcorn in for 1 minute and stayed at the unit to monitor knowing would have to add more time but wanted to learn how unit would handle a bag. Owned first Amanda microwave on the market and have had different models in my houses - read the guides everytime. Only this model smoked in less than 1 min. Backsides and top was too hot to touch. Contacted Panasonic spent $94.42 to ship back. They reimbursed. Shipping said nothing was wrong, I am out $112.34. Oh, and said they popped popcorn in it! Panasonic will not be in any of my properties. Bought at Best Buy 11/22/17. Order #. Have receipt and correspondence including return shipping info.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I am a CFESA certified tech with several decades of experience. I contacted Panasonic, got shuffled through several phone numbers. Finally got to correct dept tech services, asked for manual of product I was working on. I was told that they would not send tech manual for unit. I could go online and buy said manual. They told me that this is for liability reasons. This answer was a pure lie. If I can go out and buy it, there is no way buying it will absolve them of any liability. Unit is less than 3 years old, Mag is covered for 3 years. Plain truth is they do not want to have anything to do with units that are already sold. I have worked on several of their commercial units over the years as well, ALL junk.

Get expert buying tips about Microwaves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I recently owned Panasonic Genius Prestige Microwave (Model: NN-SD978S) and it worked good for a while, then the issues started. It would make funny noises, the door sensor went bad. The other day it was making a noise that I never heard before... Sounded like firecrackers almost, then I smelled something burning. Smoke started coming from under the cover. I took off the cover and noticed two wires completely black from being burnt.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Panasonic NN-SF550W: I was heating some vegetables while I was in another room. I smelt an acrid, burning chemical smell and saw clouds of smoke pouring out of my kitchen. I had to go through the smoke which irritated my eyes to turn the microwave off. I then had to take it outside. The smoke was coming out from behind the keypad and lower portion of the microwave on the same side was too hot to touch. I immediately emailed Panasonic to report the fault and asked for safety data information in regard to the smoke as the smell, its effect on me and the inability to remove the smell suggested it may be hazardous. I received a phone call from Panasonic in regard to the email. They asked what I was heating, what container I was using etc apparently overlooking the details of my email. The customer service officer then asked me to return it to a Panasonic customer service centre.

I responded that they could send a courier to which they declined. I received an email from them the same day requesting purchasing information and for me to return the appliance to them. I noted that if they assessed it and determined it wasn't a fault I would have to pay for the assessment. No apology for their product smoking out my kitchen, no safety data sheets, no concern for my health or exposure to whatever the smoke was that their product produced. I will not be purchasing another Panasonic product and will have it assessed by an INDEPENDENT professional before approaching Panasonic again.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

My mother passed away almost a year ago. In clearing her home, we kept her microwave. A Panasonic inverter model NN-S443WF. Fast forward to this morning at about 5 am... Something (God) woke me about 4:40 am and would not let me go back to sleep. So I got up. My hubby is naturally an early riser, so he, too was awake. I began mulling about the kitchen, about to start making breakfast for my hubby & 3 children (soon to be 4). I smelled this awful burning plastic smell... Started investigating. Saw an outlet that had burn/smoke marks on it, and felt the plug in it (my mom's microwave). It was scalding! I quickly unplugged it, but watched to make sure. White smoke began coming from the plug holes.

I yelled for my husband, who ran to the breaker box and started flipping switches until we found the right one. Even then, I stood watch over the outlet with the fire extinguisher. Thank goodness for quick thinking, and God not letting me sleep! I don't know if my hubby would've caught it in time, as he was conducting business on the computer. We actually lost our home 4 years ago to an electrical fire, after the house was hit by lightning in the middle of the night... We got ourselves, our then 4 yr old daughter, and not even 2 month old son out safely, but we lost everything. This really has me on edge today. Please, be careful with this model. I know it's an older one, but it shouldn't cause a fire as the first symptom of something wrong with it!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Panasonic?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

This Panasonic Inverter Microwave did not even last 3 years. I will never purchase anything from them again. It is all disposable garbage and the advice was go purchase a new one, what a rip off NN-SD681S model.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I had a Panasonic combination microwave/convection oven for many years. I was very happy with it but it eventually gave up the ghost after 25 years. I first bought just a microwave (don't recall the model number) but it lasted only a few years. The door kept sticking and then it just died. In 2013 I purchased the NN-ST651 and it died a few months ago. I went to use it one day and deader than door knob! It too had a sticky door. Both were crap machines and such a waste to have to throw them out as it costs more to fix. When are regulators going to see through this facade of "disposable appliances"? They are a disgrace as they litter the landfills and are just a bad as being concerned about our dwindling natural resources.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I received a Panasonic microwave from my son 2 to 3 years ago. I wanted to inform Panasonic A week ago I put food in and went to take it out after the time ran out and the microwave was still running. I tried that twice and both times the oven would not shut off. My daughter also grabbed food out while it would not shut off. This was dangerous and unsafe for both of us. I wanted to inform Panasonic of this serious problem but only got the runaround with numbers and asking for Visa.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Panasonic Microwave Inverter Model NN-SN651B - I think I bought it in 2015 . I just went to the kitchen to use it and it was dead, just out of the blue. I have no idea what is wrong with it. I probably will throw it out and never buy Panasonic again. Any suggestion if it can be repaired. Probably cost more to repair than its worth.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Purchased one year ago, now the door will not close without slamming it. I don't know how long before it will not close at all? Tried calling Panasonic. They were no help. Cannot find any repair shops that will work on Panasonic or the cost to repair is as much or more than just buying a new microwave. I paid more money for this microwave thinking it would last longer. Very disappointed in Panasonic.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I bought a Panasonic Microwave NNSB646S to replace a 15 year old Sharp that we loved until it failed. The Panasonic meets most of our requirements. It is a "No Frills", easy to use model with some exceptions. The interior light does not come on when the door is opened. It does come on while in use. Why does it not come on when the door is opened & needed? The control panel is not backlit making it impossible to read the button when programming it. How much did Panasonic save in leaving off this feature?

Unlike our earlier Sharp microwave, the Panasonic burns the food on the outer circumference while barely heating the interior product being heated. The button on the lower right to open the door is recessed and hard to push. The door spring is too strong or the catches are not designed correctly making it slam hard & make a loud noise when the door is pushed closed. The noise invariably wakes up the grand-baby in the next room. We can live with these inadequacies, but it could have been made much better.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

In June 2016 I had to replace my GE over-the-counter microwave. The only microwave I could find which was the right size and colour was the Panasonic Inverter Microwave NN-SE284B for $600. It was very hard to install because of the power cable. The cable exits at the front and there is no groove for the cable when you slide the microwave over the bracket. The cable should come out near the back from a recession in the frame. Then there was a speck of dirt inside the window of the door. The door is supposed to open by slightly pushing it. That lasted only a day. Now I have to push the button at the bottom corner.

Today we had to change the time because of the fall time change. Pushing the hourglass turns on the microwave and the display shows hot. The same thing happens for all buttons and the slider. I powered it off and on and the problem persists. So, the controls are not working anymore. The fans, for all the noise they make, do not ventilate any air. I have only used the microwave to reheat food and not very often. We also got a Panasonic TV (not a led). It darkens sporadically and recovers. Since we got it for cashing in points and essentially for free we are living with it. There is no Panasonic product in my future anymore.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I bought this microwave NN-SA661S at Walmart in Leominster MA. while visiting my family in 2015. I only heat food in it. After about 1 year it started to get somewhat rusty inside and it has progressed to very rusty. I have never had a microwave that turned rusty before… It heats fine when I use it but it looks like it belongs in the landfill… I am concerned with the rusting. What has happened to my microwave? I don't think I will buy a Panasonic again... Not a good product for the long haul! Of course I no longer have my receipt which is a shame. I just wanted you to know about my experience with this microwave.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Panasonic Inverter Microwave Model # NN-SN778 - This model keeps tripping the breaker of a 20 amp circuit and the fuse blew in the microwave. I replaced the fuse and did an amp draw on it and its drawing 16.7 amps. The specs in the user manual say it draws 12.7 at the most. I'm a long time electrician with 25 years experience and I study the National Electrical Code constantly and that said this unit should be on a 25 amp circuit with a 30 amp receptacle but the cord that came with it is only good for 10 amps. This is a fire hazard! The receptacles that come with your homes at best are rated at 20 amps except for the dryer, range, heating and air units and some others like welding receptacles.

I did some research online to see if maybe there was a defective part that's causing this to run at a much higher amperage then the specs say and I found that the company is misleading us. There are multiple reports about microwaves drawing much more amperage than the spec on your owner's manual say they draw. What I'm worried about is that the wiring inside the unit isn't even 18 gauge which is only good for 10 amps and this unit draws 16.7! Even a 20 amp circuit isn't enough but the wiring inside it will burn up before your breaker trips. This is a fire hazard and we need to address this issue!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Ordered my Panasonic microwave (NN-SN651W) the 24th of May, 2017. Was not home to use it for over two weeks. It started overheating in less than 2 months. It has plenty of space around it, so that is not the problem. Overstock will give me a credit. Will not order another Panasonic.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I bought a Panasonic Microwave March 21, 2017. The product was manufactured in August of 2016. Model # NN-T945SFX. The microwave worked fine until two days ago I closed the door and the plastic latch key broke. I tried to contact Panasonic and had no luck at all. Finally I have ordered the latch key and only hope I can fix it myself. Flimsy plastic is the cheap way to make something of importance... another ten cents in production and this could probably have been avoided. There isn't another Panasonic product in my future.

Original review: July 13, 2017

When my very old microwave died I took my time and researched which microwave I wanted. I decided on the Panasonic microwave with inverter technology. Sounded really good, Panasonic has been around for awhile. A year and 4 months later it won't start up and I get an error code of H97. I don't know what that is but when I got on Panasonic website it tells me my microwave is out of warranty. I looked up on the web and it says it might be a loose wire or the inverter is bad. I think they should be responsible to fix or replace it seeing their new technology wasn't good.

Original review: July 12, 2017

In late April of 2016, I was starting to experience problems with my eight year old microwave. My previous three microwaves lasted for thirty five years (none of them a Panasonic). In doing my due diligence, I found that the inverter technology was the way to go, and that Panasonic manufactured a "state of the art" product. I purchased the Panasonic inverter model # nn-sn933b for slightly less than $200.00. For the first three or so months, the product worked as described, but soon after, the food was not heating evenly on the high (fixed) power setting. Instant oatmeal was pouring over the sides of the bowl. I compensated for the heating problem by using lower power settings, and cooking/Warming food for longer periods of time.

In using the "popcorn" setting for full size bags of popcorn, I needed to turn off the microwave with fifteen seconds left on the timer, otherwise the bag, and its contents would burn. One time, the bag actually caught fire. Yesterday (7/11/17), I opened the microwave door to take out my lunch, and upon closing the door, the microwave lost all power. When I called the phone number on the owner's manual, I listened to a recording which stated that if my product was out of warranty, I would have to pay $9.95 to speak to a representative about my problem. These people put out a garbage product, and then have the audacity to charge a fee to discuss their problematic trash. Anyone buying a Panasonic product after reading my comments, along with those of other consumers who were "taken" by this company, will indeed deserve exactly what they get.

Original review: June 24, 2017

In the past Panasonic items lasted. Not any longer. Bought the microwave Inverter model and it failed in 6 months. But even the websites are messed up. The model number does not register on their website. The website indicates hours of operation that don't exist. The cost of support is $10 if your warranty is past. Spending 3 hours bouncing around from their websites with no way to check on my warranty. The oven went crazy and zapped my chicken pieces so hard they turned to carbon in 2 minutes and were starting on fire. It's clear that they are avoiding resolution by the way their websites work. Many dead ends. What happened to a once respected organization?

Original review: April 9, 2017

Used to be microwaves lasted over 10 years, as others have mentioned. We bought a Panasonic NN-H624BF in January 2007. It stopped working in November 2009, with interior sparking preceding. I purchased a Panasonic NN-SN667B in November 2009 - it stopped working in April 2012 (subsequently I bought a fuse, which repaired it, and I have it for back-up.). In the meantime, we purchased another, larger Panasonic microwave in April 2012 (I don't have the model number anymore, as we put it in the dump) - the door became a huge problem by early 2015. I found online repair methods and fixed it, which lasted about a month before it again became necessary to slam it repeatedly in order to get it to close.

Finally it would not close at all, so I gave up on it, but I could not find another microwave brand with the inverter technology, so I tried again with a Panasonic NN-SN686S purchased in 10/16. I thought if I went with a smaller one, it would not have the same door problem. And I thought, with all the complaints about the door mechanisms, the new ones would have the problem tackled. Not so - it's just a different problem, as this door will shut but now after only 6 months, the mechanism to open the microwave has become very hard to push, and it is only a matter of time before it becomes inoperable. I will resurrect the 2009 model with the repaired fuse when it becomes necessary. When that goes, I will have to do without the inverter technology, as I give up on Panasonic forever.

Original review: March 2, 2017

My Panasonic NN-ST642W microwave works ok to good.. but my dilemma is when it is running it cuts off my wifi connection from the other room through the house past the kitchen. Is my microwave leaking waves? Can't see it or feel it.. but my smartphone knows... Ideas? Time for a new one or just wrap it up in aluminum foil??

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

Unit rocks on counter, (somehow the entire unit is twisted) and door hangs at an angle, Panasonic is charging me a 15% restocking fee for an item they can't resell plus return shipping! I have only owned microwaves from Panasonic, they have made their last dollar off of me. 1.6 Cu. Ft. Built-In/Countertop Cyclonic Wave Microwave, Order Number: ** Order Date: Jan 22, 2017, arrived 2/18/17. NOT WORTH THE WAIT!!! I HAD PLANNED TO EXCHANGE IT, BUT I AM NOT PAYING FOR THE RETURN POSTAGE!!!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I have used Panasonic microwaves for the past 30 years. They are reliable, affordable and offer many features I enjoy. Choices and auto cook features seem to be more intuitive to my way of thinking. Also, I enjoy the easy ways that Panasonic allows one to begin right away or change or add time in the middle of cooking. I particularly like convection cooking and combo cooking with microwave/convection. Very predictable results.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

The Panasonic Inverter Microwave has been the best at cooking and reheating and the price is better than a lot of other brands/types. I have used it for almost 20 years and I am on my 2nd one. I cook and reheat food, pop popcorn and it is large enough for a large turkey. I have used others but this is the one that I will stick with.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

NN ST6815 Model Won't Turn off. After about a year our microwave door wouldn't shut properly and wouldn't start without shutting the door hard. Then about a year later the microwave wouldn't turn off. Ever. We took to an authorized repair shop and our $350 built-in microwave is cannot be repaired and is now in the landfill. After reading these reviews it seems there is an issue with the door and the start mechanism. I will never buy a Panasonic microwave or anything else by Panasonic again.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

I received this microwave as a gift from my son. I changed my whole way of looking at microwaves. I love it because it works the way it should and it's simple to operate. Also, it does all you want it to and more and it's large capacity and a way to thaw or cook without heating zones. Love the turntable, love the turbo thawing and heating. Just love it because it is new. It's a fat cat, this is where it's a machine.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

Got a model NN-SN686S for Christmas 2016. It lasted 3 weeks. Got up one morning. Went to heat me a cup of instant coffee and the Microwave was dead, no power, no clock, no nothing. Went to Panasonic website, my model was not yet on the help available list... Called customer support to Contact Panasonic. They gave me a different phone number to call about microwaves. They have a machine that answers that number saying the department is closed to call later. Panasonic is of No help what so ever with its products. I returned the microwave to the place I purchased it. Got another one Only because it's all the seller would do. Just got this replacement Panasonic microwave. I have no idea how long it will last. I have Zero Confidence in Panasonic's garbage electronics.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

Well, I bought my microwave about 2 years ago but the inside is small and it doesn't get the meals very hot in the 'medium'. I can't say all of them are like mine but that's what I feel. And another thing is the way you defrosted the beef, got cooked in the outside. That I don't like but for other things is very good.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

Manufactured on 10/2014. That is not when I purchased it but they told me it was out of warranty. The machine just stopped working on 01/2017, a little over 2 years after manufacture date. The rep said if I needed his help I would have to pay almost $10 and if he could not fix it, I would have to send it in for repair!!! This company does not care about the customer! They make junk and then do not help when the product fails. I will never buy another product from them!!!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I have had my Panasonic microwave since 1982 and it runs like new and I have never had it worked on!!! I feel that is a pretty amazing appliance! Purchase a Panasonic brand, they last a long time! This microwave has been working for 35 years and still going strong! Hahaha!

Panasonic expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Panasonic brand is perhaps most well-known for its cameras, but the company deals in other electronics and appliances as well.

• Cyclonic inverter: The heat is distributed in a 3D pattern versus a straight line for more even cooking.

• High wattage: The range of Panasonic microwaves culminates in the 1200-watt models.

• Grill heater: Heat and cook in a more natural way with the attached internal grill element.

• Convection: Enjoy dual-cooking when you switch from microwave heat to convection heating.

• Turbo defrost: Specialized defrosting process allows you to unfreeze food more quickly, without accidentally cooking it along the edges.

• Best for: Small families, large families, singles and couples. Many of the ovens feature "family-size" capacity to make it easier to choose.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs