Panasonic Microwave

Compare Microwaves

Research top Microwaves recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Bought Panasonic Inverter Microwave from Best Buy about two years ago after my Sharp Microwave of 18 years died. The Panasonic worked well for about a year, however, it developed a small hitch in the door when closing. Eventually the spring keeping the plastic door latch prongs moving up and down became unhooked and when I tried to hook the spring the two prong latch hook broke. Taking the door apart, I could not believe how cheap and flimsy the 2 prong latch hook was made. I ordered a new part for just over $2. It said genuine Panasonic OEM part.

When part came and I installed it a tiny hook inside the door frame where one end of the spring attaches broke. I had to fabricate a new anchor with a small screw and a small nylon tube to sit in the door frame in order to hook onto the spring. This worked except the OEM part was off by about a 32nd of an inch. Sometimes when you closed the door, it did not engage the latch mechanism completely. The microwave would not turn on because it thought the door was ajar. By pushing down on the top of the microwave door it engaged the locking latch mechanism and allowed the microwave to operate. This continued to work for a while until turning the microwave on kept shorting and clipping the circuit breaker in my electrical box.

I thought of replacing the microwave and read reviews of the Panasonic as well as many other brands of microwaves and got frustrated that all microwaves today were made to only last a few years and not the 18 years I got out of my last microwave. My family has relearned and learned to heat food up the old fashion way, in a frying pan or pan on the cook top. I have found that heating liquids in a small stainless steel pan, heats slower but more uniform. We miss the convenience of a microwave, but I do not want to replace one every year or two from now on. We put a man on the moon almost 50 years ago, but today no appliance last as long as they did 20-40 years ago. Thank you Jack Welch, former CEO for GE, for coming up with the idea of planned obsolescence, now used when manufacturing all appliances, furnaces, hot water heaters etc!

I CAN'T BELIEVE I HAVE THIS MICROWAVE! My family has bought this in April 2016 after our old Emerson Microwave broke down. This was bought immediately not knowing this: This Microwaves cuts off the internet!!! Haven't tried anything to get this Microwave to stop cutting off the Wi-Fi yet. IT HAS BEEN GOING ON SINCE APRIL!!! I didn't realize at first that the internet was cutting me off for no reason, but now it is because of Microwave usage! For example, if it's used for 5 minutes, the internet is down for 5 minutes due to Microwave usage! Also, this product might break down soon in months or even next year. A lot of people's Panasonic Microwave has this same problem. If it breaks down, I will update this complaint! If this breaks down, I hope to god I buy a microwave that does not cut off the internet. Not this! AVOID THIS MICROWAVE AT ALL COSTS! Buy one that does not cut off internet! Do not buy this wi-fi less microwave!

Panasonic sa651s microwave oven review - One year and the microwave oven no longer cooks. Pathetic quality. Bought it at Costco with lifetime warranty, back it goes.

I bought a Panasonic Microwave Model NN SA 661S. That was in March 2016. It had made a loud popping noise and the caught on fire. I pack it up and took it to Wal-Mart. They told me it was passed their 90-day return policy. They told me to contact the manufacturer. Panasonic wouldn't discuss it.

I brought NNST762S. It was fine for a year. It started burning the microwavable bowls and food. This is really a safety hazard and I think these microwaves should be recalled/banned. Till now it has burned/busted/melted many microwaveable bowls including a very very thick/hard kid's microwavable bowl. Also, every other day it is burning the food. I have ordered a new microwave and I will throw this crap after I get my new one. I will never buy a Panasonic microwave again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Panasonic?

Panasonic inverter microwave model NNSA651S SA651S - We've owned this microwave for a short time. We started noticing uneven cooking. Then today we started smelling a burning odor. The microwave was burning through a bacon plate (very thick material) made for microwaves and char-burned the bacon that almost burst into flames. This happened in less than a minute. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS MICROWAVE.

I purchased this microwave from Best Buy on April 30, 2016. Two days ago while microwaving macaroni and cheese, gray smoke came from both sides of the microwave, nearly caught my house on fire. The macaroni and cheese had only been on for less than a minute and turned my microwave yellow. I immediately unplugged it, looked at the outlet looked at the back of the microwave and waited for my husband to get home. We read plugged it in the next day and the smoke and smell immediately started again. I called customer service to find out if I need to bring it to a repair center or what could be done. I was told this matter is very serious and my complaint would be sent over to a manager. I was then emailed by a lead consumer affairs employee who asked for pictures and more information.

I was then called the next day by the lead consumer affairs associate who was beyond rude and unprofessional. She immediately asked for me to re-explain what happened, then followed it up by saying that it was my fault, that the engineer who reviews pictures stated that I clearly overcooked the microwave, that I need to clean my microwave in, that my warranty was voided. I explained that the yellow discoloration came from the incident. I was at a loss for words with Panasonic's customer service. I asked "Is this how you back up your products?" She told me that I should read the instructions and never walk away from the microwave. She then proceeded to say she has been with the company a very long time. I then explained I could care less. She stated "Nothing could be done to buy a new microwave and read the instructions next time."

Meanwhile every microwave I have had, has been Panasonic. My previous Panasonic microwave lasted over seven years. I will Never buy a Panasonic product again. After I had this horrible experience, I then reviewed Panasonic's customer reviews. It appears to me based on other consumer reports that Panasonic does not back up their products and that they frequently state "Go back to the manual." I believe this is Panasonic's way of getting out of backing up their products.

Purchased this microwave 1 year ago after my SHARP microwave of 11 years quit working. This Panasonic unit is only exactly one year old... Apparently the units have cheap wiring and are only designed to last one year so you have to pay money to their online support or purchase a new one. With no warning it just quit working after having for 1 year. My household has only 2 adults over age 50 and the microwave is not overused at all.

I attempted calling Panasonic their product and refuse to because it is 1 year old and will charge me for advise on the phone or send me to a service center who will charge me. We ended up opening the unit to look for fuse issue. It turned out having melted wires which obviously blew the fuse. All of the information that I now read online about this Microwave model catching on fire and other internal electrical issues are apparently true due to the cheap wiring in the units. The units with the "inverter" seem to be the ones with faulty cheap wiring that makes the machine go bad after a year. We are lucky the fuse blew in the unit, as the unit turns out it would have been a fire hazard.

Panasonic unlike Sharp will not offer any assistance at all in repairing the unit unless you pay upfront. They will say to you over and over that your unit is out of warranty (even though by only a few days). This Panasonic cost twice the price of the SHARP until that I had for over 12 years. Panasonic loves to fill the landfills with faulty microwaves or find a way to get additional money out of you minutes after the warranty expires. In my opinion the worst manufacturer of consumer electronics. I will never purchase another Panasonic brand product again. I will never recommend the Panasonic brand to anyone. I will warn people against purchasing any electronic products from Panasonic.

We have had our ST681S since December 2015. It works very well and we are enjoying the 1200 watts that do the job fast. It takes some getting used to but water boils so fast now and frozen food defrosts evenly and quickly. We have read of horror stories of this model blowing up and setting on fire. So far everything is fine 9 months into using it daily. It is quieter than our old ones, too. In high humidity, our 10 year old Panasonic would blow a fuse if it got too hot baking potatoes! No longer a problem with this new one! It cleans up well and the clock is easy to set. ;-)

Only 2 years old and the door hinge broke. I read the reviews about it having cheap metal part that hold the hinges on, and the reviewer suggested how to fix it. Do not buy a Panasonic microwave. I agree.

I purchased a Panasonic Microwave NN-SA661S from Walmart 1838 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Only 9 months after my purchase there is no power. I've contacted customer support. There is a 1 year warranty but since there is no place in Las Vegas for warranty repair I must find my own proper container and ship oven to California for repair or replacement. The problem that customer support originally said they would send a container and they would pay for the freight. Now they say, "Too bad." I then asked to speak to a supervisor and they said one would call me. This was 48 hours ago and have heard nothing.

It will cost me over the $116.50 to have it packaged and shipped. I think this is absolutely ridiculous. The oven is now a throwaway and we are without a microwave. Walmart won't take the oven back because it is past their 90 return policy. What a horrible product! Panasonic Inverter microwave model number NN-Sa661S. I do have a copy of the invoice that I can send after I take a picture of it.

I purchased a Panasonic microwave just 2 years ago. Model #SN671S, it worked well. Then in just 2 years the display disappeared. Really? I paid around $300.00. It's now at Costco for $99.00. Did Panasonic dump these at Costco? Very unhappy with only 2 years of light use. I won't buy Panasonic again.

I bought a Panasonic microwave from Canadian Tire and it broke after 31 days and they told me it was over the warranty that I would have to pay to repair it. I thought Panasonic was a better company.

I bought this microwave December of 2014. All of the sudden there is no power at all. I've contacted customer support. There is only a 1 year warranty. I contacted the repair shop that the customer support recommended. It will be $150 to have it repaired. I think this is absolutely ridiculous. The microwave I had before was a hand me down and lasted me 7-8 years! This product should be recalled. It is absolutely absurd that this $160 microwave lasted less then 2 years! What a horrible product! Panasonic Inverter microwave model number NN-SN778S.

Purchased a Panasonic microwave, model NN-SN745S over a year ago. After a few months noticed laptop, cell phone and tablet WiFi lost internet connection in the kitchen whenever the Panasonic Microwave NN-SN745S is turned on. Wifi router is in the living room over 30 feet away from the microwave. No return back to the store after 30 days. The door won't close easily. You have to give it a hard slam in order to close it. The door doesn't always close or open when the latch release is pressed after a year.

Now just over a year later microwave will only run or work for two minutes or less. You have to wait 30 minutes before the microwave will work again. We own all walks of Panasonic electronics like wireless phone, TV, sound system, laptop, electric pencil sharpener and etc without any problem with great reliability. This Panasonic Microwave Model NN-SN745S is not reliable at all. What a poor reliable microwave product. I would test to make sure your WiFi still connect to the internet when the microwave is turned on before the 30 days is up if you decide to buy another Panasonic Inverter Microwave if Wifi connection is important to you. I am just going to stay away from Panasonic Inverter Microwave and try with another brand from now on based on from other reviewers.

I purchased a Panasonic Microwave Oven model number NN-SN7785S. I owned this microwave for a year and the door would not close properly. The latch would not catch. The latch finally broke so I contacted Panasonic and they said my unit was out of warranty. I would expect a microwave that I spent $160.00 on to last longer than $9.95 for them to assist me further. Why would I want to pay $9.95 for them to tell me that it is still out of warranty and then on top of that pay for the repair? Panasonic does not stand behind their products. I will never purchase another Panasonic product again and I have owned several in the past. I am very disappointed in this product. My advice to another consumer do not consider Panasonic for anything!!!

The Panasonic NN-SD767W has managed to completely destroy my previous belief in the quality and design of Panasonic products. There is no way the engineering principles previously applied by company engineers and designers were applied to this family of product. Nothing about it functions as intended or is smartly designed. The carousel wheel support and drive hub interface do not fit well together and are knocked out of place so easily. My wife refuses to load anything more cumbersome than a coffee cup. It is utterly frustrating to try to reheat even a medium chicken or a casserole.

The minimum interval time input changes to 5sec @ 10sec, 10sec @ 1min, 15sec @ 5min, 30sec @ 10min. This makes it impossible to dial in sensitive items. The fix is so simple and costs virtually nothing, making it seem the designers are real idiots! All that should have been done is to apply the same interval changes when reducing the time. In this way, for example, one could dial up to 10min and 30sec and dial back 10sec to arrive at a final input of 10min and 20sec. Duhhh!

The big claim that the "Inverter Technology" provides for even heating is totally untrue. It is so far from true that it falls under the tree of false claims or outright lies. Try softening a stick of butter. It WILL bore a 3/8" hole thru it in one spot and leave the rest cold. It performs equally poorly on anything but a cup of coffee. In short, this product is limited to performing only a fraction of what it was designed for and that poorly and dangerously. When I buy a new stereo turntable or audiophile component, a cordless drill or saw, it won't be from my old GO TO brand. It won't be a Panasonic.

Purchased December 2015. Now April and will not turn on. What a poor excuse for equipment in this day. Seems Panasonic would be clever enough to make it last a year or whatever the warranty is for. Will not bother to call after reading reviews.

Bought a Panasonic 651B just before Christmas. Three months later it stopped running and will not even turn on.

Two independent tests showed door leaking radiation above federal standards. Panasonic customer service said no one but their factory could test and besides they NEVER found any leaks unless door damaged. Door confirmed undamaged by local appliance co. that services high end microwaves (not Panasonic). Even their local warranty service can not test, must be returned to factory and they already said no problem exists!! Do not buy and stay back two feet if using any of their microwaves.

I purchased this model microwave in August. I do not use the microwave for anything but reheat coffee, popcorn and occasion frozen entrée. Yesterday the kitchen was overcome with the smell of burning, it seemed like burning paper but I cannot imagine how paper could be burning within the oven's walls. I plan to return it but I wanted to advise people not to purchase NN-SA 63... or N size oven. N-SA 65 or 66 series. I would expect a cheap small microwave to fail but this is a family.

Do not buy! The Panasonic Inverter microwave! Nearly caught on fire after only one minute of use. The whole house was filled with smoke and the microwave was ruined. Luckily, I was near the microwave when it occurred because it could have ended tragically. Since it was less than a year old, I contacted Panasonic and they were not interested in making it right. I will never purchase a Panasonic product again.

Purchased Panasonic model NN-SN942B on November 28th, 2014. Only used on the weekends. Unit stopped working on January 23rd 2016. The upper door latch (plastic part) broke.

I had my first Panasonic combination microwave for over 12 years and only replaced it as concerned about its age. Turned new virtually identical microwave on full power to cook McCans frozen potato for 4 minutes as a 1000 watt unit. After 3 minutes the door was in flames. Fortunately I was in the room to put the fire out reducing the damage. As an OCD cleaner I was annoyed when John Lewis staff called me to collect the repaired Item that the reason this had happened was because there must have been food debris on the door that a leaflet informing me how to clean it in future was supplied.

I called Panasonic as the unit was in new condition as far as clean was concerned getting nowhere as my only concern is to ensure the machine is now safe for use. I called Panasonic. The agent that answered first of all did not understand what 1000 watt meant and informed me that "You have to completely defrost all products before putting them into the microwave." I asked as I had followed the potatoes instructions, "How mad was this?" She didn't even understand the meaning of buying frozen food and using a microwave to cook them, refused to let me speak to someone else and left me totally confused.

Purchased a Panasonic microwave, model NN-SN745S, in September 2015. It's now Jan 4, 2016 and the door latch mechanism is failing. Door doesn't always close or open when the latch release is pressed. One would think a microwave oven should last more than 4 months. Went online and note many complaints of same problem for Panasonic microwaves. After less than 4 months of use, this product is soon to become worthless. Will pack it up and return it to store where I purchased it. If more people did the same, Panasonic may get tired of replacing these units and fix the problem once and for all. Avoid purchase of this model - it's likely you'll be returning it in a few months.

This is no complaint. Just wanted to say as I was wiping out my microwave I realized that I've had it almost 29 years. It is a Panasonic Genius Model NE 7960 and it has never needed a repair, looks as new as the day I bought it and I tell everyone how old it is. Used it with 3 children and now use it mostly to heat things and thaw things. Paid $350 for it which was a lot as I am a widow raising the children at the time. I've been more than satisfied with it and would buy another if necessary. Thank you for an excellent product and others that my family have purchased.

NN-SN778S - Microwave caught fire and latches do not work within 2 months. Within 1 month door latch faulty. Cheap materials and flexes, so it does not shut properly. Panasonic should have recalled as eventually it also melted all wires inside unit and quit working. Talked to individual who just flatly denied any problems. I am a tech and this is the worst piece of garbage I have seen. Obviously a scare tactic from a company that does not look after its customers.

The stainless steel finish looks good, has great power (1200 watts), and the Panasonic name is one of the most reliable for microwaves. Has enough features to make a good job of everything without being overly complicated.

What can you say, it does what it should. It defrosts, or heats or reheats items placed in it. A tip - make sure you have a lid on the container to avoid a mess.

Have had this microwave for more than 10 years now. Never a problem, works like new. Only thing is it's size. The older ones were much larger than the newer ones but it's the reliability that counts. If need be, we will definitely buy another Panasonic.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

The Panasonic brand is perhaps most well-known for its cameras, but the company deals in other electronics and appliances as well.

• Cyclonic inverter: The heat is distributed in a 3D pattern versus a straight line for more even cooking.
  • High wattage: The range of Panasonic microwaves culminates in the 1200-watt models.
  • Grill heater: Heat and cook in a more natural way with the attached internal grill element.
  • Convection: Enjoy dual-cooking when you switch from microwave heat to convection heating.
  • Turbo defrost: Specialized defrosting process allows you to unfreeze food more quickly, without accidentally cooking it along the edges.
  • Best for Small families, large families, singles and couples. Many of the ovens feature "family-size" capacity to make it easier to choose.

Compare Microwaves