1.36/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1606 LA fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

My locker was broken into in the Culver City Location. The customer service was not able to do anything, they were apologetic and said there is nothing they can do. I asked if they would do an internal investigation to see if they can find the member who broke into the lockers (the person actually broke into many lockers), they will not take any action and I would have to wait until the police assigns a detective to my case and start an investigation.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I have been a member of LA Fitness for several years, and after recovering from heart surgery, I wanted to train to improve my balance (I am 87). I agreed to the price per session and said that since I did not have my calendar with me I would call, set up 10 appointments, and at the same time, give them my credit card number. After doing this I received an email of a contract that had MY SIGNATURE FORGED ON IT that committed me to over $3,000! In addition my initials were FORGED on a statement that said that I read, understood and agreed to all the provisions of the FORGED contract. I did not even know that there was a contract to begin with. I confronted the employee and demanded that the contract be canceled immediately. No apology or explanation from the employees for FORGING my signature several times.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I started personal training at LA Fitness. It was good but they gave me wrong information about expiring date and I couldn’t use my sessions. They call for each and everything which connected to money but they don’t inform about other things which totally bad. Now I lost my money and I lose at my sessions. Every lost is for me only. They need to train their employees to give the accurate information to the customers.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

On Nov-03-18 I signed up for Monthly plan of $21.99 with a customer representative at LA Fitness location in Troy. The representative said, he can't apply the agreed upon offers now as it has to be done manually. Done using a coupon and took my credit card number and did not provide any papers stating that it would be sent via email. Next day I observed that they have charged 3 times more than what was agreed upon and I see that my initials were copied using editor and all figures are changed. I made repeated complaints at the desk and they seem to stating it will be done in next couple of days and I see that they have again charged for the next month (Dec-18) for $55 while my plan is $21.99. Customer Service is very bad as they are very unresponsive. Please be cautious to look into what is being charged on your card. Feels like a trap to me at this point. Good thing with LA is that their gym and other facilities like classes are good.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I sat down with their manager who promised me a book to fill out each time training was completed. He talked a great line of crap about his medical experience with all types of issues with diabetes, high blood pressure, and other types of sickness. He offered a written meal plan to myself and my wife. Nothing was written but I am sure he got his commission. He didn't live up to anything he stated upon sign up. I saw him in gym many times and he avoided my wife and me. All we wanted was what he promised us.

The guy was let go and I received a call from new store manager promising the world. Please come in so she can fix these issues. I explained I would not be coming back, felt I was taken advantage by LA Fitness and its signing up process. Very shady for a huge corporation. Do not sign agreements with this company!!! They continued to charge my credit card for the past 3 months for over $4000.00 dollars. Ruthless. I had to stop all charges with American Express. Be aware when you try to get your health in shape. Your pockets will definitely be out of shape.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA Fitness?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Very unscrupulous managers at this branch. In an effort to sell me 8 month training program, a manager and a trainer signed a note for me which essentially stipulated that I could cancel the contract anytime because it was for formality only from their perspective. I was wrong... When I asked LA to cancel my contract after 3 months with the note from manager on hand, they said the manager was transferred to another LA branch and they were not going to end the contract.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I started with LA fitness on my own account. I ended up canceling my membership and got the runaround when canceling. These idiots still automatically charged my account the following month when I already canceled my membership... I had to go to the bank and get a whole new account with my bank so I don't keep getting charged for a membership that I canceled the previous month.

I canceled my membership because of many reasons. Number one is that I would be there in the morning like 5 am and almost half the time the gym wouldn't be open because the staff is too lazy and unreliable to get up to open the gym. Second reason is because they had no hot water for a couple weeks and it was cold outside... I'm not going to take a cold shower when it's cold outside, I don't want to get sick. Finally they had someone mess with my account again, but this time my wife signed me up under her name and I went in one morning and they told me that my membership expired and wanted to renew my canceled membership... to make more money off me, so I had to have my wife go and take care of it when she got off work. It made everything a big hassle because of some greedy scam artist at LA fitness.

Absolute losers who take advantage of people. I hope a better gym opens up and I'm not talking about Planet Fitness because that place is a joke too. I lift heavy sometimes and I don't scream or grunt, but I guess my muscle size can be intimidating especially when I have a good pump going on. I hope that LA fitness either straightens up or closes down permanently. What a joke of a company.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I and my daughter started the personal training program from June 2018 at Torrance branch of LA Fitness. My daughter signed for 3 month and I signed for 6 months because Jose (Manager-now he is disappeared from this location) said we can cancel anytime even if we want to finish the program earlier. My daughter was visited from NY during summer vacation for 2 months only. We could not read properly when we signed it due to the lack of screen quality and did not have enough time. We did not receive any copy of the agreement from LA Fitness by e-mail. I spoke to LA Fitness several times about my daughter program cancellation but had to pay until this month.

Today LA Fitness saying we signed for 6 months for my daughter and 1 year for me. They keep charging from our credit card and cannot stop charging them. My daughter LA Fitness membership expired in 3 months and the account deactivated right after 3 months but still charging for the PT program money which is $280.00 per month. I sent a letter to them to stop charging. They call me today said, we have to pay until the agreement expires. Otherwise, I have to pay a penalty of over $800 to cancel the program.

I requested to send me an agreement with my signature but NOT replying about my request. We have no invoice, agreement or any kind of receipt about the payment but somehow they are charging from my credit card account. Almost total money of $5000.00 which is we cannot afford. I think anyone wants to join the PT program at LA Fitness, bring your own attorney when signed the agreement, otherwise never join the program. They will scam you somehow.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

The personal training sales manager currently at the Trumbull Connecticut location is initially encouraging and friendly. That is, until he signs you up for the personal training program. With a significant weight loss goal, I was excited to work with someone who was seemingly knowledgeable, professional, and truly invested in helping me reach my goals. However, shortly after my first session - when things did not go his way - I was treated with the silent treatment and in a despicable and unprofessional manner.

After leaving the gym in tears, I spoke with someone at the Corporate Service Office, who understood that it not acceptable to treat customers poorly and that the sales manager is NOT “in control” of scheduling and who you get to train with. Most importantly, she was able to connect me with another trainer who could help meet my training needs! For anyone who is dealing with a person in leadership with a big ego, find someone who is willing to listen and help you continue on your path to good health - TALK WITH CORPORATE and CALL OUT UNPROFESSIONAL AND INTIMIDATING, RUDE BEHAVIOR! On a more positive note: The facility is clean, well equipped, plenty of classes are offered, and the overall atmosphere is welcoming and friendly.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I have joined the gym since March, the sauna had been on and off broken since the sauna doesn't work properly, there are bugs, much like small black ants crawling on the bench. I have raised the issue to the front desk, this is over a month ago, not only they have not fixed the issue, there are still bugs in the sauna! I asked them to put an 'Out of service' outside the sauna, although they keeping saying they will fix the issue, it's taking way too long for all of us who pays for a gym membership.

They need to take action and fix issues or they should give us free pass for the month. Another issue there are lots of people who goes in the sauna with food, put on smelly lotions when you are in a confined space and it is hot, the smell is very unbearable and not sanitary at all, they should put a sign outside 'no food allow and no scented items allowed'. Woodbine and Hwy 7 location is a very bad location, if you want to join this gym, THINK TWICE!!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

This franchise is like Hotel California. You can come but you can never leave! I belonged to the gym located in Tacoma, Washington off of Pacific Hwy. First thing, no class whatsoever when it comes to the trainers and employees. They will walk around doing nothing but looking in the mirror, talking trash and swearing with each other.

The other thing is, try and cancel. Should be an easy process right? Nope! I was told "the only way to cancel is by coming in between M - F 9 - 5." You know, during most people's work hours! AND you can only cancel by talking with the Operations Manager who is supposed to be there during these hours, BUT GUESS WHAT, THEY AREN'T. Somehow, they always seem to be out, at lunch etc! SCAM! I went to another LA Fitness who told me that I could write a letter to corporate to cancel. Yep a freaking letter! NOT an email. Why? Because they can squeeze at least an extra month out of you in gym dues this way. This franchise is an overpriced, trainer reject SCAM!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Billed for personal training sessions for which the trainer called and canceled and yet I was billed. Despite repeated promises that the payment would be reversed, it never has been. To add insult to injury they cut a lock off my locker a few months earlier in error for which they (managers) also repeatedly promised to reimburse me for (receipt was supplied to them as per their request) which has turned into a complete joke as I remind them of this every week to no avail. Sick of looking at gum stuck to machines for months at a time too (also brought to the attention of the staff on countless occasions). I have been a member for three and half years but clearly they rather piss off a loyal customer and worry about giving freebies to attract new member than retaining the ones they have. I will be leaving asap.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I had a heart attack and the doctors have said that I can no longer do any strenuous exercise - only light walking. I have talked to LA Fitness about my trainer payments and how I cannot train for a while and would like to put them on hold until I get the go ahead from the doctor. They would not comply. My husband even spoke to several managers and they would not even give any consideration to the situation. I had every intention of returning to the gym once I was feeling better and had the go ahead. But at this point I am so disgusted with how they behaved with us that I am not going to be going back and I want people to know how the experience. My lesson is be careful what you sign up for, because they will keep taking $300 from my account regardless of the situation.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Have had an LA Fitness multi club membership now for 7, almost 8 years. I purchased personal training for 1 year starting last year (pre pregnancy) from the club on Greenfield rd. and the 60 in Mesa, AZ. I have a lot of unused sessions left (38 total) and have paid for all of them in full over $2000. Well now I'm pregnant (18 weeks along) and have had horrible morning sickness until about 1 week ago and I don't feel like using personal training sessions during pregnancy and want to use them after my baby is born. Have gone through an enormous amount of phone calls to this gym, phone calls to member services, emails to member services, and apparently the VP of personal training denies my request to extend my personal training sessions that I have paid for. They wanted me to have a doctor's note stating I am "completely unable to workout" to extend my sessions.

I'm not on bedrest, but I am pregnant. They then said my only option was to pay an EXTRA $45 a month to "keep my personal training account active". Apparently to them, being pregnant and associated symptoms like morning sickness, dizziness, etc. is not a valid reason for wanting to change up your activity level and fitness routine a bit and NOT have workouts with a personal trainer until you are feeling back to your normal self after your baby is born. Member Services will also never return your calls. I have been having to call them myself to follow up with my request.

So now over $2000 of personal training sessions I have paid for are going to expire and I will have none left by the time my baby is born March of next year. Great for LA Fitness as they made all of that money off of me and have an unhappy customer and the only answer I get from member services is "well you signed the contract, so". Life changes and pregnancy changes a woman's body dramatically and the fact that a "health and fitness" club chooses not to acknowledge that and make an exception and keep a happy customer is so disappointing.

I will keep my membership for now because I only pay $30 per month for multi club membership and kids club and you are unable to cancel your membership over the phone easily. Will take my time shopping for a new gym which has better customer service policies and will be switching when I am ready to up my workouts again after my baby is born. So disappointed and disgusted in this gym's customer service policies and the way I was treated throughout this whole process. Glad at least I am able to write this review to feel like I am able to express my concerns somewhere, because LA Fitness seems like they could care less.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

It is absurd that I can't cancel membership over the phone. They require me to either come into the facility to cancel, or I need to download and print and mail a cancel form. (I haven't used a stamp in years). This does not surprise me... It is this level of customer care why I am canceling and going to another, more expensive gym.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

My daughter went off to college and so I went online to cancel her membership because she cannot use it anymore. The website does not allow me to cancel her account online. After calling a support number, I was told that I have to come in between the hours of 9 to 5 and talk with an associate to cancel my daughter's membership. In this day and age to not have this basic feature online is obviously done on purpose. Shame on you LA Fitness!!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I signed up for the personal contract without noticed it was 12 months. And I told them I would love to try for a month to get me motivated as I am new to the gym too. The PT director told me I can cancel it anytime. The worst thing happened when I call to cancel for the second month. They said I have to buy out the cancelation which is $1300. When I signed the contract via electronic computer pad, nobody explain to me clearly the terms and conditions. All I heard that I can cancel my contract anytime. If they gave a clearly explanation just like when I called for cancel from the beginning, I would never signed up for any contract from them. Such a bad way to run a big business by making money from members and trapping people into a contract. Such a scam!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Conyers Georgia facility men's shower handicap bench support bar came loose from the wall. Instead of repairing they propped the support pole up on a slippery mat. I sat on the bench and crashed to the floor. As I screamed in pain and patrons rushed to my assistance two LA fitness employees ran from the area. I expected a return with help but no, they did not bother to even report to manager. I was taken to front desk where Ms. ** scanned my badge and took statements from me and witness. Two days later the statements were deleted from record. Their attorney responded with "Even if LA fitness is negligent they rely on the member agreement to not be liable". When asking a front desk clerk to get a manager she replied, "It's a waste of time. They ignore everyone injured, we have an iron clad contract and will do nothing".

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I went to the gym one day and the person at the check-in desk shined the laser right into me for a long period of time. I had to go to the eye doctor and was told that I have the beginning stages of glaucoma. Basically eye damage. I have contacted LA fitness and the police about the matter hoping it would stop. What happen is they move the people out and brought in new people and they are shining the light in my eyes too with smiles on their face. I don't want to have to explain any further about how rude and inconsiderate these people can be. I feel if this goes any further my eye will never heal.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Rude, condescending manager "LA Fitness Fairwood, Renton, WA" - I've attempted to cancel my membership several times and was asked to come back a different day every time I asked as the manager was never there when I walked in and was given different working hours to come in. They finally let me sign a cancellation form and they put it on his desk with a promise that an email will be sent in 24 hours. I return 24 hours later. The manager was there. He tells me that "We don't do it that way. You'll have to mail it in. I don't have your forms". I then ask for my signed forms back as I can't just leave my personal information (PI) in limbo". He then says, "Oh I have it (lie #1) but you have a balance". I then ask what is the balance for? And he says "For the Gym membership". Which I thought was condescending as I wanted to know what time period was I being billed for.

Anyways the whole conversation was just painful. He cut me off a few times as I was asking questions telling me to "hold off", "wait", "I'm getting there". Just rude impolite and condescending. He made me feel uncomfortable while people were walking in and out and in front of my husband. I will never go back to LA Fitness or recommend it to anyone. Respect and integrity are lacking. Such a shame!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Been a member for years. Every location I’ve been too (I travel the country for work) has been AWESOME. I just moved to Orlando and started working out the Goldenrod location. Today in the middle of my workout the assistant sales manager comes up, interrupts me and tells me I can have my gym bag on the floor. I tell him I’ll be with him after my set and he storms off like I did something to offend him.

Then I go up to his desk to tell him I’ve been to several LAs and never had an issue. I asked if this rule was in my contract and he said it was a local rule. I told him I would need to cancel my membership then since this is part of how I workout and has my straps and intra workout shake and stuff in my bag and he says, "No problem, happy to do that Monday with the GM." I asked why he couldn’t help me since he was the assistant manager and he just says, "Do that to the GM Monday." Apparently I mean nothing to the gym at all and it really doesn't matter if I’ve been a repeat member for years. Pretty sad location.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I love the facility and enjoy my workouts there. The sub-standard customer service, however, is why I am writing this review. Over a dozen times, when checking in, the attendant behind the counter shined the laser scanner directly into my eyes just before scanning my membership card. Every time, I have asked them to please not point the scanner at my face and expose my eyes to the laser (I worked with lasers and laser safety for over thirty years). One individual, a manager there, I have asked now seven times as she continues to shine the laser into my eyes when checking in. This gross negligence continues to demonstrate not only a lack of concern for safety, but also a lack of respect and courtesy to LA Fitness members. After speaking with the General Manager about this problem (who witnessed today one of the aforementioned events) I was left with a feeling that my wishes and safety were an inconvenience.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Canceled my membership. I been a customer for 2 years, but one day at this gym crossed everything. I was recording myself for a personal vlog, suddenly the “manager” Skye ** came to me and in aggressive manner started to yell at me for my video. I told her that I recorded myself but still she forced me to delete the video. I tried to cancel my membership with another representative, but she start shouting again and told that only she can do a cancellation here. Then she proudly stated that she been a manager there for last 20 years and started to ask me: for how long do I live in the country (I have record of this discrimination). Worst customer service I had ever see.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

My family come after 8 pm. I have a kid of 6 years. What to do? At the time of admission they say if kids club is closed your kid can sit at reception but not to cross gym line but now when he some time sitting there they call us off. Also when I come half an hour before closing they don't allow me swimming pool. This is not fair. They have rules but they must show some courtesy in this regard.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Very bad cancellation policy. In the end, you definitely have to lose a few months payment. There are many salesperson to start a membership and there is only one operational person who can cancel your membership and he has his own timings.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Do NOT sign a personal trainer contract. The trainers are not very good or knowledgeable, especially if you are an older person. The cost is $299 upfront and then $200 per month for a half hour per week. This works out to be $100 per hour. Definitely way overpriced. The scheduling of the sessions was amateurish at best. Phone calls were not returned, messages left for the trainers were either not delivered or frequently not returned. At the end of the one year contract, LA FITNESS continues to charge the $200 per month unless you call and stop the thievery.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Finally I found some time to spend to talk about LA Fitness. If you know what to do at the gym, you know that LA Fitness offers a nice size pool, hot tube, free weights and work out machines zones for a reasonable price. I was a member for around 7 years with two different plans, first one was regular yearly contract and the last one was multiclub three years contract.

On my first experience at the place they tried to sell me their personal training program. (misleading sale that I will need to make a separate review about it, is a trap without way out).

Cleaning is something that they don't care at all. For several years, me and several other customers, even after multiples complaints to all managers that worked there, last one was David, nothing changed. The place it is filthy including the pool and spa hot tube. So the true about the Legionnaires' bacteria, yes the one that cause Legionnaires' disease that was found there was not unexpected, was not a surprise to me. So what was reasonable before, now you may put your health in jeopardy. You got what you pay! looks that is their motto!

Keep in mind that it is not just your health that is in jeopardy, also your physical integrity is in risk! Most of the nights are crowded and they made the only area available to stretch and abs in the gym as personal training only. Nobody does personal trainer there, little percentage. So you have rush hour times without a proper place to start your work out and due to that, one day after my workout I decided to talk with one of the managers available at the time,(Andrea), the same whom upgraded my membership to multiclub (you can go to any la fitness in florida, not signatures ones), and she allow me to use the personal training area that most of the time nobody uses anyways for stretches only.

So next day, was a Tuesday night, the place packed as always. Directed myself to stretch with my headphones on lying on the mat when the trainer(Michael P.) show up in my face with a bad physiognomy and gesticulating. When I took my headphone off, I heard this angry guy telling me to leave the area immediately, so when I tried to explain why I was there, he grabbed the mat holder and tried to make me rollover off from the mat, so I placed my right hand on the floor and I bounced back pushing his arms and knees away from me with my left hand and stood up. Told him to not touch me or try to move me physically again. When I stood up I was able to see two students and the two surge lights that I always thought that was security cameras on the end of the stretching area, I didn't know until later that they were his students.

He probably thought that I was a little boy. I may look young and very skinny but I'm almost 40 years old with martial arts experience on my background, so I faced him and with all the calm in the world said that his behavior wasn't right.

At this point with no witness around, just his students, he called the janitor guy that was leaving the restrooms on me, big guy, telling him to kick me out the gym so I face him too stating that nobody will touch me, he threat me and screamed at me thinking that I will be scared but never did anything and he apologized to me later because he didn't really know what was happening. He thought that I did something really bad because the way that the trainer spoke with him.

So when physical threat was not a threat to me anymore, because people started to go in and out of the restrooms, I walked to the front desk to ask for the manager but no managers available at the gym on that time. Another bad thing, rush hour and nobody responsible at the place. The trainer percepts the situation that he caused. So I'm at the front desk when he came with his students on his side saying that he will call the cops on me if I don't leave. Well, guess what? I didn't leave so he called the cops and I waited for the cops to arrive. On this meantime they were talking on one of the desks on a way that looks like they knew each other from a very long time(body language) , looks that they were putting their version together.

When the cops arrived, the cop spoke with him first because he called and right after with his students and then me. The personal trainer created a such bad scene that I requested to speak with the cop outside due to the many curious people there. Everybody curious to know why cops were inside there. So when I told what happened, he told me that they provided a different story. So independent who said what, I decided to cancel my membership anyways and I expressed to the cop what I would like to do. So he went inside and when he came back he said that unfortunately they don't have managers available. Because it is a contract for three years just made.

Arrived next day to talk about the situation with manager David that at first was sounding helpful but then after I tell him what happened, and he said that what the personal trainer and his students told him were different. They said that I was standing and pushed him on his chest with both arms starting the issue. Detail: I was on the ground when he tried to move me and when I pushed him.

I don't want to pass as a liar because his teacher has two witnesses on his side and I had just the true. So I requested the footage from the security cameras to show who is who on this story but no cameras available.

On this situation that I don't have how to prove nothing, I decided to cancel my membership anyways but then he said that I have a contract and the managers at corporate will need to approve that, they may revoke the membership and keep the money, so I just said that really don't matter at all to me what they will do with my membership, I will not use, I'm done with LA Fitness anyways and I want my money back. My membership for three years was almost $800.00.

After I spoke with the gym manager I decided to call corporate and there they treat me really bad, they were probably thinking that I was that very bad guy that they heard it about. On my third call I was able to talk with one of the managers and she confirmed of course the refund. Good choice La Fitness! I will never allow you to keep that money.

As a very responsible person, I will stand for what is right and not allow to be bullied by any personal trainer or nobody. Martial arts teach you how to protect yourself but more than this I learned to have a very strong self control. I will never start immature situations like this one.

Bottom of line: BE AWARE THAT YOU ARE NOT SAFE IN GENERAL AT LA Fitness. They lost me, a old client and many others due to the lack of security, hygiene, and behavior of their employees.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Beware of signing the contracts with the trainers. There is a $200 fee for just signing and it is a yearly contract with many hidden clauses, like when it expires it automatically renews monthly at a much higher rate. The manager admittedly said a customer should be notified by email when the contract is expired, as they notify every promotional sign up by email but this was a 'corporate decision.' Mine overlapped just before I went into a frozen membership for 3 months (out of state) and they still did not alert me when I went to freeze the membership. Very, very poor customer service with constant changing of management. Stick to the basics and double read anything you sign.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Someone has been stealing a ton of free weights, barbells, and benches out of here for the past few weeks and management doing anything to replace. They need to have someone to care about this place. (She did NOTHING).

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Beware. Stay away. This place is a scam. They sign you up with a personal contract. Everybody has 30 days to cancel except these guys. 3 day window otherwise you're stuck for a year. I sent in a written cancellation just like the contract said but because it wasn't received within a 3 day time window they declined it. I switched their payment to a prepaid debit card. They went in to debit a payment every couple of days. I decided I will pay it & not complain but seeing them deducting a payment every few days was ridiculous. Thank god I used a prepaid card or else my bank would have slammed me with NSF fees.

I call to make a payment & they tell me my account is frozen. I'm trying to give them $ but they say, "Call back talk to a mgr." This place needs to be investigated for unfair consumer practices. Now I have to chase down a mgr to give her a payment. Again stay away. This place is a joke. After I signed up the sales guy didn't answer my text or calls for questions. What a coincidence. If you look for a reputable gym LA FITNESS is a scam.

LA fitness Company Information