1.58/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1565 LA fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 24, 2018

DO NOT USE THIS GYM!!! This gym is constantly oversold, dirty, and the management could careless about its clients. I had a personal training there, more than half of the time while I was being trained my trainer and myself were looming for open equipment to train on due to them being oversold. My trainer left and after that I was left competent hanging out in the wind. I was given appointments to training and no trainer showed up, then I told them I wanted to cancel because of the horrible service and they refused to. Stay away from this gym, they will try to get you into a contract that they cannot fulfill and once you want to cancel due to the horrible service they will try to keep you in it.

Original review: July 19, 2018

So I signed up at LA Fitness. First little bit I was thrilled with my experience. Signed up for personal training again. A month or so goes well. But then my personal trainer went on vacation. When she was suppose to get back no answer. I later find out they FIRED my personal trainer but did not inform me for over a month yet they kept charging me. I called and cancelled. Again they charge me. They never gave me the options of cancelling. I called and said, "No. Look. I am cancelling." I was still charged. This is fraud behaviour. I have cancelled everything here and put a block on my account for them. Do not go here. They are compete scammers!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: July 13, 2018

I have belonged to LA Fitness for several years. 1. Oversell memberships so clubs are crowded during peak hours. 2. No privacy in locker rooms. Cell phones with cameras everywhere. 3. Incompetent staff in black uniforms imitating athletic trainers but only salesmen. 4. No orientation to properly use machines.

5. "FREE" fitness evaluation is scam, to sell you a CONTRACT for fitness services. 6. Staff target elderly members (like me) who have belonged to gyms (like YMCA) and can spot abuse, and manipulation of fat girls and boys.

7. Staff will walk around club trying to spot sales suckers, and let garbage stay on floor for days. Garbage cans overflow. Bathrooms need cleaning, 8. Many clubs have NO WI-FI so you cannot watch sports, do office work or school work while you work out. Idea is to get you to leave. 9. Never have on TV's local news stations, local sport events, no NBA, NHL, NFL, golf, soccer that better private clubs have for members to watch while they work-out. 10. Advertise children's centers and then close them after young families sign-up. 11. Advertise juice bar and have none.

12. Constantly BLAST loud info commercials or rap music, and it's the same music every day. Everyone uses earbuds to stay sane. 13. Many machines LOOK like they have connection to radio or TV but it's all broken or not connected. 14. Staff will lie and deny there is a problem if you complain, 15. Make sure all machines are working before you join. 16. Many advertised classes never happen. Instructors are always quitting. Look for how long people have worked at a club. ALWAYS ask for experience and training when club personnel talk to you. Use these 16 points as a checklist.

Original review: June 30, 2018

The sauna has been untouched for a week. The same trash has been in the same location. No upkeep whatsoever. They also don't monitor the activity of their members. Several times I have walked into the sauna or showers where man are engaging in sexual activity. This HAS to stop.

Original review: June 30, 2018

JUNE 29 2018, This place is a GIANT SEPTIC TANK pool and spa. You will actually see solids (fecal) in the water. The employees (salesperson-manager) are rude, immature and have No respect or any type of professionalism. They make fun of members so loud and ignorant that they don't even care for the members to hear. My wife and I have shared our concerns with them and basically, they say, "No worries. We will work with that." You turn your back and again 0.00 respect.

In 12 years we never saw a team of employees so immature with not even moral principles or use their FREE common sense given by nature. It feels for us to be paying for a membership for a NASTY SEPTIC TANK and in top of that been bully and abuse by the same employees in a really (negative and **, indecent, **, salacious, dirty, filthy, **, explicit, lewd, rude, vulgar, coarse, crude, offensive, immoral, improper, impure, degenerate, depraved, debauched) environment from the same employees. My wife and I canceled our membership today after 12 years.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA Fitness?

Original review: June 29, 2018

I was in a city for one month so I needed a gym membership for just 1 month. The closest gym was a LA fitness, I went into the office and made my intention clear (one month membership). The sales associate let me know that he was signing me up for month-to-month and I'd need to call to cancel. Fast forward, my month is over. I call the location to cancel. I'm told I need to show up in person to cancel. I demand my original sales associate who denies ever saying that. Finally, I drive to another LA fitness location just to cancel. After some tinkering with the computer, I'm told I'd need to call headquarters and that for some reason he doesn't have permission to cancel my account.

So I call headquarters, after getting some runaround I need to cancel by mail, the person notifies me that they canceled my account and I should get some email confirmation. I hang up, and go about my day. Only several hours later do I realize that email confirmation never came. I tell myself if I see a charge on my CC I will then cancel my card. Fast forward, and I look at my statement and do indeed see a $34.99 charge from LA fitness. I immediately call the merchant demanding an explanation and after another run-around (mail in to cancel) I just cancel my card and tell my bank that the $34.99 charge is fraud.

Fast forward and I get a phone call from LA fitness associate asking me to update my card details. I tell the associate I canceled my membership and don't want them to bother me anymore. She politely tells me she will put a note in my file so I'm never called again. Today I was just called by another LA fitness associate asking me to update my card details. I told him I canceled my membership and he began to tell me my membership wasn't canceled and I needed to mail in a letter blah blah blah. I hung up on him. At this point I'll just take the minor ding on my credit report if they send it to collections. But this is a warning to the prospective user not to enroll with LA fitness. I thought that certainly a large company wouldn't engage in such shady practices. I was wrong.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I have been trying to use my United Health Care membership to enjoy a 50% discount on my membership. L.A. Fitness is the only gym nationwide to insist on using an online form to receive this discount. I have been misdirected to 3 different websites to complete my registration and each website more frightful than the previous. I get booted off each site; my passwords are not accepted; etc. I have gone to the club and the manager could not even fill out the online forms.

L.A. Fitness also lied to me about the temperature of their pool. I am disabled and need a warm-water exercise pool. I was told that the pool would be 84 and 85 degrees. When I first joined, the temperature was exactly that. After Christmas, the pool was changed to 80 degrees, maybe 81. My friends and I called different clubs nationwide. All pools were kept at 84 degrees, which is perfect. Our manager refuses to raise the temperature to comply with their initial pitch. I believe that this club is trying to help the lap swimmers who want a colder pool.

One pool cannot be all things to all people. Warm water or not; be honest. There are also more people in the aqua program than lap swimmers. Our classes have about 40 people a class. Or used to; many have dropped out. One gal became sick with bronchitis due to the chilly conditions. I have to wear a unitard in the pool with a shirt over it in order to do my workout. I hope that something can be done to help me with both of my problems.

Original review: June 11, 2018

If you're joining a gym for classes this is the wrong one. But most of them have a pool and a sauna. The machines are good and in good working order too. But it would be great if it had more classes that are more throughout the day.

Original review: June 11, 2018

LA fitness is competitive to the other big fitness franchises. I go to this one because it's the closest to where I live. I also like the fact that I could go to any of their facilities when they are maintaining the pool where they have aquafit exercises and jacuzzi - the reasons I go to this gym. They did offer me a reasonable price for the membership.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Age and condition of machines is very inconsistent from Club to Club. Same goes with the variety and caliber of machines. Clubs would be great if they stayed open later, especially over the weekends.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I spent over 7 years working out here and have been to most of the gyms in the Mpls/St. Paul/metro area. The biggest glaring issue for me at these places was rampant theft. I had my locker broken into at least once a year. At the LA in Mpls uptown almost every locker had streaks from hammers scraping into them from people breaking the locks. The staff plays completely aloof to any problems and feigns concern. The last theft I witnessed had me consoling a 90 year old man whose wallet had been emptied out. I was so upset I angrily confront the manager at the Inver Grove Heights location for a good 15 minutes. They have no plan or commitments to stop the issue. They just shrug it off. The old man never came back.

At one point (and my last straw) people were using the showers as their personal toilet leaving the remains behind. The curtains had to be stripped off to stop the problem. This is a big health hazard and the staff alerted no one! We had to demand to know why we didn’t have curtains anymore. One of the newer staff finally spilled the beans.

Due to its low cost you get low quality membership along with the ‘great deal’. Lots of roughnecks due to the cheap monthly dues and it bred a culture of theft real quick. Numerous times I pulled up to the club to see car windows shattered out at the Edina MN club. I learned to leave nothing in my locker but clothes as the break-ins were so common. Eventually as I got older I decided the cheap monthly dues aren’t worth people using the showers as toilets, that was my breaking point. I promptly switched to Lifetime Fitness, clean, safe, friendly. Complete 180 from LA fitness, I’m not a poor college kid anymore. I didn’t need to put up with the sloppy management.

Staff turn over rate is terrible of course, I always refused personal trainers and “free trials” but I’ve heard horror stories of people getting tricked into contracts. All in all it’s a bad place to be at. Never worked out at one that didn’t have theft issues. If you’re strapped for cash it’s ok, but leave any valuables locked in the glovebox of your car!

Original review: June 8, 2018

Guys enter sauna directly from working out without showering wearing their workout clothes and socks and are permitted to do so. Very disgusting. And just recently put a sign up that said "No Shoes" because they were actually just walking in the sauna fully clothed in some instances, some still walk in fully dressed in street garbs that they work out in as all don't use workout uniforms.

Original review: June 7, 2018

The gym is new and well equipped but there is a lack of friendliness from the staff. During the winter the temp inside was kept around 67-68F, most people wear sweaters and long pants.

Original review: June 6, 2018

After being approached by a "personal trainer" I did a lot of homework and found out they are on commission and try and trick you into training for free because it's "part of your membership". That is a lie. The 1st 20 min is a free consultation. They make you sign a contract and it costs anywhere from $240 to 600 a month! To have someone that's barely in shape show me how to do things I could teach them. Buyer beware if you cancel because you figure it out too late. It's $800 to $1200 off of whatever card you left on file.

Original review: June 6, 2018

1st - they don’t enforce the rules for the saunas. People enter saunas with their shoes & clothing on. 2nd - the charge to use multiple locations they should allow you two selections. Much more...

Original review: June 5, 2018

The equipment is kept in great working order and the locker room is clean and also in great condition. The staff is friendly and helpful too. The facilities are large and include racketball, full court basketball, swimming pool, steam room and whirlpool, two exercises rooms for classes and a special fitness training area to be used with a trainer.

Original review: June 4, 2018

My gym meets my needs although at times it is a little crowded and the racket ballers sit on the machines instead of the benches provided. But like all gyms people that sit on a machine and read their e-mail are the most annoying thing but I don't see what can be done by any gym about that.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I never had a problem with the membership, but the personal training was a disaster! In total I paid $4,000 dollars. I had an accident and broke my tailbone, so I wasn't able to use my training sessions. When I contacted LA fitness to see what my options were I was rudely surprised my options were basically none. I was told if I canceled I would have 30 days to use the training sessions I ALREADY PAID FOR!!

I continued to pay for the training, but dropped down to 1 session a week, and I felt like that was all I could do because I didn't want to lose the 104 sessions I had accumulated. I asked if I could give the sessions to a family member with a membership... NO! I asked if they could extend the 30 days so I wouldn't have to keep paying for session... NO!! THEY GAVE ME NO CHOICES!! LA FITNESS is a scam. I've lost upwards of 6000 until finally I canceled the training sessions, and lost 104 training sessions and LA fitness just said "oh well." Be WARY. They will take your money and leave you with nothing!!

Original review: June 3, 2018

I like working out and keeping a tone, attractive shape. I like knowing that it weight will come off and stay off, with whatever my shape is. I like to see results, within weeks, and or months, and being notified I have reach my goal, and see it in a mirror.

Original review: June 2, 2018

The Staff is non-existent. Nobody to help with machines. Staff lets people bring backpacks on to the gym floor. Jacuzzi usually needs cleaning. Nobody monitors the dressing rooms or informs ladies how be behave in a public setting. Lot of ** and ** around showing off tattoos. I am looking for another gym to workout in - something more upper class.

Original review: June 2, 2018

LA fitness has facilities all over the Atlanta area which is very convenient for me. And all of the facilities are very nice with lots of equipment.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Great equipment. But large crowds! Also, the sauna often needs more attention than it gets. But overall you can always get a quality workout if you know what you're doing.

Original review: May 31, 2018

My partner has been members of this club for several years and I joined almost two years ago. During one of her first visits at least three years ago, she was approached by a trainer who preceded to follow her throughout the gym while making unsolicited comments which made her very uncomfortable. She asked him several times to leave her alone as she was not interested in his training. After several attempts, she finally had to raise her voice and demand that he leave her alone. As she left that day, she reported the incident to a manager. Since then, she has had no contact with the trainer other than being on the receiving end of some dirty looks. Today (several years after the initial incident), as we were leaving the gym, the same trainer verbally attacked my partner and I because she "made eye contact" with him.

Two desk employees and a manager witnessed the event as well as several customers. The manager spoke to us and told us he would speak with the trainer. I'll be the first to admit that after the trainer angrily approached me, I lost my temper and my voice rose back at him. The manager assured me he would look into it and call me after he had spoken with the trainer. He never called. The manager also told me that he is new to this location (LA Fitness - Denton TX) and he was sent there to "clean it up" and improve client relations. Any manager with a lick of sense would have fired that employee on the spot without the need for "talking." It is obvious that that type of behavior is acceptable to this company at the expense of lost clientele and reputation. We are discontinuing our memberships immediately but I'm sure we'll have a nightmare with billing and termination.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I signed up for Per Training. If you wish to cancel you only have a 3 day window, not the common 30 days. I therefore went to the website to temporarily defer payments, there is no such option. You can freeze your gym membership not the personal training. If you are experiencing financial hardship, medical issue or loss of employment they will continue to bill you. LA Fitness is a scam. I highly encourage stay away from this gym. The salespeople don't care about you. After I signed up the sales guy wouldn't return my calls or text re: questions I had on my account or gym. Wham Bam Thank you Maam!

Original review: May 31, 2018

They need to paint and replace the carpet badly. The place looks old and tired. The equipment is often not functioning properly and the maintenance staff appears to always be working. I think they might need to hire a few new people.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Lucky for me I know what I'm doing at the gym. The employees there are worse than useless, they are actively non-responsive. Cleanliness is okay on at certain hours, I'm sure they just don't have the staffing to do any better. I was grandfathered in from Vision Quest and only pay $16 a month. I would not go here if I had to pay full price.

Original review: May 30, 2018

It was great to go swimming there, convenient hours. Unfortunately, it is very filthy. The showers were always full of hair with mold on the tile. The hallway leading to the pool has a strong urine smell and the floors are black with filth since they are never scrub. The Jacuzzi needs a shock treatment and like the pool needs deep cleaning. The filters to the pool are full of mold. It is very common to see members in the pool with their regular clothes instead of a swimsuits.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Nasty manager but nice staff. Gym is nicest I’ve been to but no good extra classes & times. Gym threatens to charge $10/mo for towels to seniors who’s membership is covered by Medicare insurance.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I have been a member at the LA Fitness gym here in Houston Medical Center for about two years. Great facility, exceptionally clean, very helpful staff. The sales department - honest, upfront (especially Jeanne). I have a fantastic trainer, there are a number of great ones, Marcus exceeds most. I highly recommend this particular gym.

Resolution response: May 24, 2018

Follow up: The reason I am writing this is because I discovered that the account I was on was created by Blue Cross Blue shield of Tennessee via Trinity Health. I had to cancel via Trinity Health, not LA Fitness. After logging onto my wife's account I discovered the links to the cancellation form worked. So, to have access to the cancellation form you must have signed up with LA Fitness directly.

Original review: May 23, 2018

LA Fitness makes it very difficult to cancel a membership. If you search in their search box on their website everything comes up "Invalid". When I called they said I needed to come in and talk with the Operations Manager, I'm sure for a high pressure retention discussion. When I did finally find cancellation instructions on their website, the location of the link to download a cancellation form did not exist.

LA fitness Company Information