LA fitness

LA fitness

3.9/5 (1063 ratings)

About LA fitness

LA fitness Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA fitness?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA Fitness?

Original review: April 5, 2021

We have tried several times to speak and email customer service department regarding our membership. They refuse to acknowledge our emails. This fitness center’s customer service is absolutely MIA. We will be looking elsewhere and spreading our experience. The lap pool is too warm and dirty (dead bugs), btw pool is indoors.

Original review: March 31, 2021

I met with the assistant manager Dominique to have my measurements done. I told him to cancel my next 2 sessions because I had to cover a shift for one of my nurses that week and the following was my daughter’s birthday. Then I was told that I lost my sessions because I didn’t cancel. I went to see Dominic and he lied to our faces saying we told him not to cancel and we should have called the trainer. He is rude and condescending and is trying to con me out of my money/visits!

Original review: March 26, 2021

Avoid this place. I’ve been trying to cancel my membership for over a year and they keep charging me fees. I’ve tried everything from speaking to manager (Osiris), calling, and emailing and they just give excuses and keep billing me.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

I moved to another city without an LA fitness nearby. I figured I could do the normal thing and cancel this online considering it is the 21st century. It is impossible to cancel online, it is impossible to cancel over the phone, it is impossible to do anything with anybody that works for this company. Do you have to print out in mail a cancellation to this company. I don't mean email I mean an actual envelope with a stamp. So jump in your DeLorean head back to the '80s and cancel your membership with this company. This is stupid, this is archaic, this is primitive. They do this to lock you in and keep billing you. This is extortion on their part. You have to take time out of your day to either go to their facility which there is not one within 150 mi radius of me or mail in a cancellation. Get with the times! Quit being so obtuse about this cancellation policy. I know you want to keep stealing money from people even when they're not nearby.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

I bought a prepaid membership to LA fitness right before Covid for 3 years. I chose LA fitness because of the kids club. The clubs have been closed close to a year and LA fitness stated they will not refund my membership but I must wait until the clubs reopen in my area. Clubs have opened and closed in the area without my awareness, but the kids club remained closed. I asked for a refund and they told me it is non-refundable. They are untrustworthy and I will fight this until the end.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

Sadly, 2020 and the Covid pandemic clearly showed the true colors of this company. I renewed my membership and signed up for personal training in mid-Feb 2020. Really bad idea. Three weeks into my training, I caught Covid and had to freeze my membership. As everything was being locked down and I was still recovering, I got charged again for training on March 15, when I thought my membership had been frozen. Clubs then got shut down two weeks later. July comes around and I get charged AGAIN for training. I called my local club and was told someone would be in touch. No return call. I called again five days later and was passed around until someone gave me a number for the corporate office.

I sat on hold for 30 minutes with corporate, only to have my training frozen yet again. BTW, they only freeze in three-month increments so you have to keep up with it or else you get charged. Called back in Oct 2020. Same thing...long hold time and my training was frozen again. Where am I at with this? It's been a year and I have shelled out $1,448.91 for an annual membership plus personal training. Most of which, they have been unable to deliver OR I have been unable to use in 2020. It's hard to believe it has been almost one year since all this crazy started.

To top it all off, next week I have to call back again, wait on hold so I can freeze my training for another three months. While I understand everyone is trying to survive these crazy times, a company not being willing to budge at all and try to come up with a solution for customers during a global pandemic is crazy to me. I won't be going back.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

Personal training is a BIG SCAM!!! No one should buy it. Not only the fee is super expensive, but they also have the worst customer service that I have ever seen in my life. When I asked whether I could cancel my personal training membership, the staff rolled her eyes and talked to me in a very rude tone. The worse thing is when they reopened their gym under the pandemic in 2020, they forced you to go; otherwise, you would still be charged. I don't understand why those people don't show any sympathy if their customers weren't feeling comfortable going to their gym with the fear of being infected by someone else! I feel if someone is infected by others in their gym, they should be responsible for the medical fee.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

I was told numerous times I was not able to cancel my membership over the phone. I went in to cancel my membership because I do not go as much with the pandemic. I walked in, someone was at the desk, I waited. The man behind the counter wore a mask and had his face in the computer or socializing with whomever was in front of him.

The custodial worker directed me to another window, so that’s where I stood. Still, the man with his face in the computer began to speak not to the man he was socializing with me but to me. Without looking in my direction or asking what I was there for. I did not hear him nor was I sure he was even speaking to me. He got aggravated when he asked my phone number and I didn’t respond because again, never made eye contact or spoke directly to me. He was too busy socializing. Once I gave him my number to look up my account, it was a click of a button and a “you’re all set” still no eye contact, I wasn’t asked if I wanted a receipt.

I was so taken back I told them they were rude and I left. Once I got back to my vehicle, I realized I never received a receipt. I went back in, only to find the same three men standing there. Socializing. I asked for a receipt and I was told it was emailed to me. It is now the next day and I still have not received a email of my cancellation. The man behind the front desk did every little thing before he printed the paper although he was already on the computer.

I asked why I couldn’t of canceled it over the phone if this was all it took, a click of a button, you didn’t need to confirm with my ID, my name at least... The member or friend of the front desk guy chimes in “well it’s illegal.” The LA fitness in Springfield MA has very poor front desk staff. They are not friendly and they are very rude. Socializing is a priority over doing their job. Their customer service skills are very poor. I was handed the paper and nothing was said as I left. I will not recommend this gym anymore due to its poor front desk staff.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

I have a membership for 29.99 a month at the Evanston location and I cannot say I have been happy with any of their trainers. I was given 1 or 2 free personal training sessions however, after every session they have kept me there for an hour trying to force me into buying their personal training packages that are extremely expensive and are a scam as they don't even give you 30 minutes of their time. Even the country club I attended had better prices for a full hour of fitness with a trainer.

After rejecting their proposals to try and sell me the training packages one of the trainers has had significant tension with me ever since our meeting. For example, he is rude in his tone of voice and constantly uses sarcasm to greet me and being at the gym while someone is constant glaring at you are trying to let you know they don't like you from one of their staff. Although 29.99 is not extremely expensive I feel it is very expensive for their mediocre facility in addition to their poor customer service.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

LA Fitness' business model is to guilt you into purchasing a membership, banking on the fact you'll hate it enough that you won't use their facilities, and then making it as hard as possible to cancel in hopes that you'll continue paying them a ridiculous fee for literally the rest of your life. Their monthly rates are stupid expensive and they offer nothing but old saggy naked men and sweat-drenched machines in return. The gyms are overcrowded and falling apart and once you're signed up, good luck canceling.

Want to cancel online or over the phone because you moved? Too bad. The only way you can cancel is either in person at the LITERAL gym you joined at OR you can write a LETTER and mail it to them, no phone or email allowed! A LETTER! What year do they think this is? The most offensive thing about this place is how blatantly obvious they are about screwing you. No effort to hide the fact that it's a scam because you're too stupid and lazy to actually print a form out, sign it and mail it. Well, jokes on you LA, I mailed my letter today and it only took me 3 years to do it.

LA fitness Company Information