1.34/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1590 LA fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I signed up for the personal contract without noticed it was 12 months. And I told them I would love to try for a month to get me motivated as I am new to the gym too. The PT director told me I can cancel it anytime. The worst thing happened when I call to cancel for the second month. They said I have to buy out the cancelation which is $1300. When I signed the contract via electronic computer pad, nobody explain to me clearly the terms and conditions. All I heard that I can cancel my contract anytime. If they gave a clearly explanation just like when I called for cancel from the beginning, I would never signed up for any contract from them. Such a bad way to run a big business by making money from members and trapping people into a contract. Such a scam!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Conyers Georgia facility men's shower handicap bench support bar came loose from the wall. Instead of repairing they propped the support pole up on a slippery mat. I sat on the bench and crashed to the floor. As I screamed in pain and patrons rushed to my assistance two LA fitness employees ran from the area. I expected a return with help but no, they did not bother to even report to manager. I was taken to front desk where Ms. ** scanned my badge and took statements from me and witness. Two days later the statements were deleted from record. Their attorney responded with "Even if LA fitness is negligent they rely on the member agreement to not be liable". When asking a front desk clerk to get a manager she replied, "It's a waste of time. They ignore everyone injured, we have an iron clad contract and will do nothing".

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I went to the gym one day and the person at the check-in desk shined the laser right into me for a long period of time. I had to go to the eye doctor and was told that I have the beginning stages of glaucoma. Basically eye damage. I have contacted LA fitness and the police about the matter hoping it would stop. What happen is they move the people out and brought in new people and they are shining the light in my eyes too with smiles on their face. I don't want to have to explain any further about how rude and inconsiderate these people can be. I feel if this goes any further my eye will never heal.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Rude, condescending manager "LA Fitness Fairwood, Renton, WA" - I've attempted to cancel my membership several times and was asked to come back a different day every time I asked as the manager was never there when I walked in and was given different working hours to come in. They finally let me sign a cancellation form and they put it on his desk with a promise that an email will be sent in 24 hours. I return 24 hours later. The manager was there. He tells me that "We don't do it that way. You'll have to mail it in. I don't have your forms". I then ask for my signed forms back as I can't just leave my personal information (PI) in limbo". He then says, "Oh I have it (lie #1) but you have a balance". I then ask what is the balance for? And he says "For the Gym membership". Which I thought was condescending as I wanted to know what time period was I being billed for.

Anyways the whole conversation was just painful. He cut me off a few times as I was asking questions telling me to "hold off", "wait", "I'm getting there". Just rude impolite and condescending. He made me feel uncomfortable while people were walking in and out and in front of my husband. I will never go back to LA Fitness or recommend it to anyone. Respect and integrity are lacking. Such a shame!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Been a member for years. Every location I’ve been too (I travel the country for work) has been AWESOME. I just moved to Orlando and started working out the Goldenrod location. Today in the middle of my workout the assistant sales manager comes up, interrupts me and tells me I can have my gym bag on the floor. I tell him I’ll be with him after my set and he storms off like I did something to offend him.

Then I go up to his desk to tell him I’ve been to several LAs and never had an issue. I asked if this rule was in my contract and he said it was a local rule. I told him I would need to cancel my membership then since this is part of how I workout and has my straps and intra workout shake and stuff in my bag and he says, "No problem, happy to do that Monday with the GM." I asked why he couldn’t help me since he was the assistant manager and he just says, "Do that to the GM Monday." Apparently I mean nothing to the gym at all and it really doesn't matter if I’ve been a repeat member for years. Pretty sad location.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA Fitness?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I love the facility and enjoy my workouts there. The sub-standard customer service, however, is why I am writing this review. Over a dozen times, when checking in, the attendant behind the counter shined the laser scanner directly into my eyes just before scanning my membership card. Every time, I have asked them to please not point the scanner at my face and expose my eyes to the laser (I worked with lasers and laser safety for over thirty years). One individual, a manager there, I have asked now seven times as she continues to shine the laser into my eyes when checking in. This gross negligence continues to demonstrate not only a lack of concern for safety, but also a lack of respect and courtesy to LA Fitness members. After speaking with the General Manager about this problem (who witnessed today one of the aforementioned events) I was left with a feeling that my wishes and safety were an inconvenience.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Canceled my membership. I been a customer for 2 years, but one day at this gym crossed everything. I was recording myself for a personal vlog, suddenly the “manager” Skye ** came to me and in aggressive manner started to yell at me for my video. I told her that I recorded myself but still she forced me to delete the video. I tried to cancel my membership with another representative, but she start shouting again and told that only she can do a cancellation here. Then she proudly stated that she been a manager there for last 20 years and started to ask me: for how long do I live in the country (I have record of this discrimination). Worst customer service I had ever see.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

My family come after 8 pm. I have a kid of 6 years. What to do? At the time of admission they say if kids club is closed your kid can sit at reception but not to cross gym line but now when he some time sitting there they call us off. Also when I come half an hour before closing they don't allow me swimming pool. This is not fair. They have rules but they must show some courtesy in this regard.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Very bad cancellation policy. In the end, you definitely have to lose a few months payment. There are many salesperson to start a membership and there is only one operational person who can cancel your membership and he has his own timings.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Do NOT sign a personal trainer contract. The trainers are not very good or knowledgeable, especially if you are an older person. The cost is $299 upfront and then $200 per month for a half hour per week. This works out to be $100 per hour. Definitely way overpriced. The scheduling of the sessions was amateurish at best. Phone calls were not returned, messages left for the trainers were either not delivered or frequently not returned. At the end of the one year contract, LA FITNESS continues to charge the $200 per month unless you call and stop the thievery.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Finally I found some time to spend to talk about LA Fitness. If you know what to do at the gym, you know that LA Fitness offers a nice size pool, hot tube, free weights and work out machines zones for a reasonable price. I was a member for around 7 years with two different plans, first one was regular yearly contract and the last one was multiclub three years contract.

On my first experience at the place they tried to sell me their personal training program. (misleading sale that I will need to make a separate review about it, is a trap without way out).

Cleaning is something that they don't care at all. For several years, me and several other customers, even after multiples complaints to all managers that worked there, last one was David, nothing changed. The place it is filthy including the pool and spa hot tube. So the true about the Legionnaires' bacteria, yes the one that cause Legionnaires' disease that was found there was not unexpected, was not a surprise to me. So what was reasonable before, now you may put your health in jeopardy. You got what you pay! looks that is their motto!

Keep in mind that it is not just your health that is in jeopardy, also your physical integrity is in risk! Most of the nights are crowded and they made the only area available to stretch and abs in the gym as personal training only. Nobody does personal trainer there, little percentage. So you have rush hour times without a proper place to start your work out and due to that, one day after my workout I decided to talk with one of the managers available at the time,(Andrea), the same whom upgraded my membership to multiclub (you can go to any la fitness in florida, not signatures ones), and she allow me to use the personal training area that most of the time nobody uses anyways for stretches only.

So next day, was a Tuesday night, the place packed as always. Directed myself to stretch with my headphones on lying on the mat when the trainer(Michael P.) show up in my face with a bad physiognomy and gesticulating. When I took my headphone off, I heard this angry guy telling me to leave the area immediately, so when I tried to explain why I was there, he grabbed the mat holder and tried to make me rollover off from the mat, so I placed my right hand on the floor and I bounced back pushing his arms and knees away from me with my left hand and stood up. Told him to not touch me or try to move me physically again. When I stood up I was able to see two students and the two surge lights that I always thought that was security cameras on the end of the stretching area, I didn't know until later that they were his students.

He probably thought that I was a little boy. I may look young and very skinny but I'm almost 40 years old with martial arts experience on my background, so I faced him and with all the calm in the world said that his behavior wasn't right.

At this point with no witness around, just his students, he called the janitor guy that was leaving the restrooms on me, big guy, telling him to kick me out the gym so I face him too stating that nobody will touch me, he threat me and screamed at me thinking that I will be scared but never did anything and he apologized to me later because he didn't really know what was happening. He thought that I did something really bad because the way that the trainer spoke with him.

So when physical threat was not a threat to me anymore, because people started to go in and out of the restrooms, I walked to the front desk to ask for the manager but no managers available at the gym on that time. Another bad thing, rush hour and nobody responsible at the place. The trainer percepts the situation that he caused. So I'm at the front desk when he came with his students on his side saying that he will call the cops on me if I don't leave. Well, guess what? I didn't leave so he called the cops and I waited for the cops to arrive. On this meantime they were talking on one of the desks on a way that looks like they knew each other from a very long time(body language) , looks that they were putting their version together.

When the cops arrived, the cop spoke with him first because he called and right after with his students and then me. The personal trainer created a such bad scene that I requested to speak with the cop outside due to the many curious people there. Everybody curious to know why cops were inside there. So when I told what happened, he told me that they provided a different story. So independent who said what, I decided to cancel my membership anyways and I expressed to the cop what I would like to do. So he went inside and when he came back he said that unfortunately they don't have managers available. Because it is a contract for three years just made.

Arrived next day to talk about the situation with manager David that at first was sounding helpful but then after I tell him what happened, and he said that what the personal trainer and his students told him were different. They said that I was standing and pushed him on his chest with both arms starting the issue. Detail: I was on the ground when he tried to move me and when I pushed him.

I don't want to pass as a liar because his teacher has two witnesses on his side and I had just the true. So I requested the footage from the security cameras to show who is who on this story but no cameras available.

On this situation that I don't have how to prove nothing, I decided to cancel my membership anyways but then he said that I have a contract and the managers at corporate will need to approve that, they may revoke the membership and keep the money, so I just said that really don't matter at all to me what they will do with my membership, I will not use, I'm done with LA Fitness anyways and I want my money back. My membership for three years was almost $800.00.

After I spoke with the gym manager I decided to call corporate and there they treat me really bad, they were probably thinking that I was that very bad guy that they heard it about. On my third call I was able to talk with one of the managers and she confirmed of course the refund. Good choice La Fitness! I will never allow you to keep that money.

As a very responsible person, I will stand for what is right and not allow to be bullied by any personal trainer or nobody. Martial arts teach you how to protect yourself but more than this I learned to have a very strong self control. I will never start immature situations like this one.

Bottom of line: BE AWARE THAT YOU ARE NOT SAFE IN GENERAL AT LA Fitness. They lost me, a old client and many others due to the lack of security, hygiene, and behavior of their employees.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Beware of signing the contracts with the trainers. There is a $200 fee for just signing and it is a yearly contract with many hidden clauses, like when it expires it automatically renews monthly at a much higher rate. The manager admittedly said a customer should be notified by email when the contract is expired, as they notify every promotional sign up by email but this was a 'corporate decision.' Mine overlapped just before I went into a frozen membership for 3 months (out of state) and they still did not alert me when I went to freeze the membership. Very, very poor customer service with constant changing of management. Stick to the basics and double read anything you sign.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Someone has been stealing a ton of free weights, barbells, and benches out of here for the past few weeks and management doing anything to replace. They need to have someone to care about this place. (She did NOTHING).

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Beware. Stay away. This place is a scam. They sign you up with a personal contract. Everybody has 30 days to cancel except these guys. 3 day window otherwise you're stuck for a year. I sent in a written cancellation just like the contract said but because it wasn't received within a 3 day time window they declined it. I switched their payment to a prepaid debit card. They went in to debit a payment every couple of days. I decided I will pay it & not complain but seeing them deducting a payment every few days was ridiculous. Thank god I used a prepaid card or else my bank would have slammed me with NSF fees.

I call to make a payment & they tell me my account is frozen. I'm trying to give them $ but they say, "Call back talk to a mgr." This place needs to be investigated for unfair consumer practices. Now I have to chase down a mgr to give her a payment. Again stay away. This place is a joke. After I signed up the sales guy didn't answer my text or calls for questions. What a coincidence. If you look for a reputable gym LA FITNESS is a scam.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

How the management cheated me out of $1940 and I got nothing in return for it. They signed me up for personal training and didn’t even give me a single session. I was calling for a month and the trainers wouldn’t answer. I stopped the credit cards payment after 4 month of getting nothing. But when we went to court the judge sided with LA Fitness because I signed their bogus contracts. They promise you the world but delivers nothing, don’t sign their contract. It’s only to protect them and screw you.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I've been a member for years and satisfied. I decided to get help from a trainer. When I inquired by sitting down with a trainer, he went through the contract. It was good I came on the 15th of the month because I could get some free sessions! He went through the pages of the contract each with long paragraphs and no time to read them. When I attempted to ask questions, he said we have to speed along or the computer will "time out" and we will have to start over. I had to initial or sign at least 6 times - ?? just to get a trainer?? I decide the next day to cancel out. The system is set up to prevent an easy cancellation process; have to show up in person, fill out a website form (not easily found), write a letter to the California office, etc. It is a year contract, if you leave early, you have to pay 50% of the annual cost. Beware.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

My husband joined LA Fitness in Casa Grande, Arizona several months ago under the Silver Sneakers program. He is disabled from a stroke, requires a wheelchair and constant attendance by either myself or his in home caregiver. The three of us went on the initial tour together and one of the most important questions that we asked was about bathroom access. My husband needs help to get on and off the toilet, change clothes, etc. We were assured that would not be a problem. We were instructed to use either the women's or men's locker room bathrooms by just announcing man coming through or woman coming through. And we're also shown the family bathroom in the children's area that was wheelchair accessible.

On August 2nd, my husband attended the 1100 Silver Sneakers class with his uniformed caregiver. At one point he had an urgent need to go to the restroom, which sometimes happens as a consequence of his stroke. My husband and his caregiver were denied access to the men's restroom, they were denied access to the women's restroom, and they were denied access the family bathroom because there were kids in the play area. The staff did not even attempt to offer alternatives or empathize with my husband's situation. As a consequence of this delay, my husband suffered the humiliating experience of soiling himself in public with urine and stool and then had to travel home without being able to clean up and change. Due to this experience my husband will not be returning to LA Fitness. We have found another gym in town, 24/7 Fitness, that is very accommodating and truly friendly.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I wanted to cancel my membership. I enrolled online with so much ease. So, thought It's going to be easy to cancel it out as well. But, guess what turns out they never let their members out that easily. You have to go to the facility and cancel. And the worst part is if you go in person, they keep giving lame reason (and every person responsible for cancellation will fall sick) until you give up and let them keep charging you. Worst cancellation process ever. It's not only about having good facilities and friends staff. It's about making the process easy for the consumers. Never joining them again.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I just received a call from LA Fitness that they could not process my payment. It was 3 months past due + charging now late fee, HELLO my account was CANCELLED over a year ago and LA fitness said it was not. It was put on a freeze and has for 1 YEAR NOW being charging me a 10.00 freeze hold fee and will NOT refund my money because I didn't bring this to their attention! Really?! No your fine staff made the error of when I canceled putting it on Freeze instead. I didn't call/bring to their attention in the past year because as I said I CANCELLED this and do not watch my credit card that by the way is CANCELLED NOW TOO for a 10.00 fee that should of NEVER been taken out monthly.

The manager I talked to at corporate said nothing she could do because they charged me and I didn't bring to their attention - this is not my fault really?! WOW great job LA Fitness, great customer service! Then I ask to speak to a different manager as she is not assisting me correctly and puts me on hold for 10 minutes then I get disconnected. Really the worst gym all around, price is ridiculous, gym is always packed and you can never get on anything, never clean, customer service has ALWAYS been terrible. Your very unsatisfied past BY A YEAR customer.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I joined LA Fitness due to convenience closer to my house. I belong to another gym at the moment. LA Fitness charges more. They claim not to have contracts. Two weeks out I decided to cancel. Did your other gym was much better less expensive and an overall better experience there. I've told LA Fitness every two weeks over the phone not to charge me anymore that I have canceled several times. Only way they allow you to cancel is if you go in and fill forms out to cancel.

As long as I don't go in till continue charging me although I've told him I don't authorize them to. Every time I tell him I'm going to record the conversation informing them of the canceled they hang up on me. If it's not month-to-month why am I still being charged after I tell them I do not want to use their facility. I work during the week and not able to go in to cancel. And on the weekends their manager is not there that does a cancellations. I think all this is pre-designed to take customers money. Somebody needs to look into all this. Do not give them your debit card and allow them to deduct the money you can't stop them. I hope somebody reads this and it helps them out before they make a mistake that I've made. Funny but I thought all companies that take advantage if people were gone. Guess I don't have a lot of wisdom.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I had the most unpleasant experience swimming in LA Fitness Randolph pool. A manager named Andrew has still not responded to my complaint two days later. The pH in the pool was so acidic that my eyes, skin and throat began to burn during my swim. I thought the pool water was safe. Found out it had not been tested in 2 days! 30 minutes later they still continues to allow people to swim in it. It was only after I left that I heard they closed it. I could not breathe the rest of the day without coughing. How can they pass health inspection if they don't know how to monitor their pool?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Be careful about considering this membership. Yes they have contracts, but when to signup of just talk to their sales staff they will lie to you about benefits. When you complain, it becomes apparent that the sales reps don’t work there very long or maybe they just move them to a different LA fitness. Maybe they just go back to being telemarketers.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

When I signed up for membership in 03/18, I thought we would be using facility close to my office. However, I was told that the facility next to my office will be going thru repairs and will be shut down for 2-3 weeks. LA Fitness advisors wanted me to go to facility which was inconvenient to where I lived and was not close to my office. When we signed up for membership, they added an extra month's fee to the charge that we were to pay. LA Fitness said that this fee would be used to pay for your last month. I thought that this extra payment would pay the non payment of dues.

Our experience has not been good with this fitness center. We only went to facility one time before repairs: pool was dirty; I could not find anyone to show me how to use the machines as promised; staff was not friendly. I decided then that I did not want to come back. When I went to cancel in May, I had already accumulated 2 months of back dues. I totally believe that this company is a rip-off. I will never go back into another LA Fitness center.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I had personal training with LA fitness and I was diagnosed with cervical cancer and had to get a hysterectomy. I have them the doctors note like they requested and they said it wasn’t good enough. Now I had to get a note saying I was permanently disabled. Are you serious? Wow and to make matters worse I had to get another surgery for my ulnar nerve which intels my bone being partly removed and my nerves moved around and I got another note. They don’t care that the doctors said I won’t be able to do anything and will not cancel my personal training membership. There is only a few months left. These people are a joke.

Original review: July 26, 2018

IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR HEALTH GO TO ALL REVIEWS BEFORE SIGNING UP WITH THIS GYM! Pool and jacuzzi are dirty. You will actually see solids (fecal) in the water. The chloride level causes allergy for me and my friend who went to hospital and treated by medication. The employees (salesperson-manager) are rude, immature and have no respect or any type of professionalism. This gym just steal your money without any services, care and attention to customers. This place is disgusting. I have never had such a bad experience in my life.

Original review: July 24, 2018

DO NOT USE THIS GYM!!! This gym is constantly oversold, dirty, and the management could careless about its clients. I had a personal training there, more than half of the time while I was being trained my trainer and myself were looming for open equipment to train on due to them being oversold. My trainer left and after that I was left competent hanging out in the wind. I was given appointments to training and no trainer showed up, then I told them I wanted to cancel because of the horrible service and they refused to. Stay away from this gym, they will try to get you into a contract that they cannot fulfill and once you want to cancel due to the horrible service they will try to keep you in it.

Original review: July 19, 2018

So I signed up at LA Fitness. First little bit I was thrilled with my experience. Signed up for personal training again. A month or so goes well. But then my personal trainer went on vacation. When she was suppose to get back no answer. I later find out they FIRED my personal trainer but did not inform me for over a month yet they kept charging me. I called and cancelled. Again they charge me. They never gave me the options of cancelling. I called and said, "No. Look. I am cancelling." I was still charged. This is fraud behaviour. I have cancelled everything here and put a block on my account for them. Do not go here. They are compete scammers!

Original review: July 13, 2018

I have belonged to LA Fitness for several years. 1. Oversell memberships so clubs are crowded during peak hours. 2. No privacy in locker rooms. Cell phones with cameras everywhere. 3. Incompetent staff in black uniforms imitating athletic trainers but only salesmen. 4. No orientation to properly use machines.

5. "FREE" fitness evaluation is scam, to sell you a CONTRACT for fitness services. 6. Staff target elderly members (like me) who have belonged to gyms (like YMCA) and can spot abuse, and manipulation of fat girls and boys.

7. Staff will walk around club trying to spot sales suckers, and let garbage stay on floor for days. Garbage cans overflow. Bathrooms need cleaning, 8. Many clubs have NO WI-FI so you cannot watch sports, do office work or school work while you work out. Idea is to get you to leave. 9. Never have on TV's local news stations, local sport events, no NBA, NHL, NFL, golf, soccer that better private clubs have for members to watch while they work-out. 10. Advertise children's centers and then close them after young families sign-up. 11. Advertise juice bar and have none.

12. Constantly BLAST loud info commercials or rap music, and it's the same music every day. Everyone uses earbuds to stay sane. 13. Many machines LOOK like they have connection to radio or TV but it's all broken or not connected. 14. Staff will lie and deny there is a problem if you complain, 15. Make sure all machines are working before you join. 16. Many advertised classes never happen. Instructors are always quitting. Look for how long people have worked at a club. ALWAYS ask for experience and training when club personnel talk to you. Use these 16 points as a checklist.

Original review: June 30, 2018

The sauna has been untouched for a week. The same trash has been in the same location. No upkeep whatsoever. They also don't monitor the activity of their members. Several times I have walked into the sauna or showers where man are engaging in sexual activity. This HAS to stop.

Original review: June 30, 2018

JUNE 29 2018, This place is a GIANT SEPTIC TANK pool and spa. You will actually see solids (fecal) in the water. The employees (salesperson-manager) are rude, immature and have No respect or any type of professionalism. They make fun of members so loud and ignorant that they don't even care for the members to hear. My wife and I have shared our concerns with them and basically, they say, "No worries. We will work with that." You turn your back and again 0.00 respect.

In 12 years we never saw a team of employees so immature with not even moral principles or use their FREE common sense given by nature. It feels for us to be paying for a membership for a NASTY SEPTIC TANK and in top of that been bully and abuse by the same employees in a really (negative and **, indecent, **, salacious, dirty, filthy, **, explicit, lewd, rude, vulgar, coarse, crude, offensive, immoral, improper, impure, degenerate, depraved, debauched) environment from the same employees. My wife and I canceled our membership today after 12 years.

LA fitness Company Information