Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

LA fitness
1.11/5

LA fitness

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

LA fitness Reviews

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

We signed up for the "Silver Sneakers" fitness program through my Medicare Supplement insurance. It was one of the benefits offered by the insurance carrier. We visited a few of the different fitness centers in our area that accepted the "Silver Sneakers" program. Each fitness center has a certain program that is usually a free and also some other items that are extra if you so choose to use them. That is understandable for certain items. I have no problem if a fitness club has those type "extra" benefits offered to their club members. I know Planet Fitness has a Black Card membership that gives you massages, etc for an extra monthly fee. Some franchise clubs were nice but the LA Fitness had an indoor pool and that was something I was looking for.

The first go around with the Customer Service Rep/ Trainer was okay. They walked us around and showed us the different areas and pointed out the different machine areas- legs, shoulders, arms, etc.. We said we would talk about what club to sign up for and call them back if we wanted to sign up for an LA Fitness membership. I asked him for a business card and he said they do not have any business cards. "You can look online for our phone number".

We (my wife and I) decided to join the LA Fitness club. The indoor pool was the biggest plus for her. We knew when the Customer Service Rep/ Trainer was going to be in the next day since he told us the hours the day before. We walked in and sat down at one of the 6-8 desks with him to sign up on the computer. THEN he goes over to the wall and gets out more papers and talks about using a Trainer for workout sessions. Some crazy priced workout plans that were about $45-55 for a 25 minute session. AND they were more expensive if you did not sign up for a 6 or 12 month plan. There were 1, 2, and 3 days a week "Trainer Programs" to sign up for. No way. "We are on a limited budget," we said. Then he said "what if I can get the price down a lot?"

He went to get his "sales manager" and he came back and sort of berated us for not getting these "Trainer Programs" and how we could end up getting injured by not doing the machines properly. We signed a "hold harmless clause" paper on the computer 5 minutes earlier. He went on and on about the huge benefits of having a Personal Trainer, yadda, yadda, yadda. It was also a "use them or lose them" type sessions. If you did not use them up in whatever plan you picked you could not get any money back nor use them into the next group of personal training lessons. No thanks.

The next thing that was irritating was when we actually came in for the first time after we signed up. We thought perhaps the trainers would actually show us the machines since we were members. You could not get them to come out from behind their sales desks. They walked to the edge of the workout floors and pointed to the different machines as to what they were. Like they were glued to their desks and the front non carpeted area. Almost like they are forbidden to actually show you what machines are for, and what differences there are in each machine.

Different manufacturers' machines that work the same muscle group sometimes operate with different rotation points and different types of grips. When we were doing the tour the Customer Service Reps always were talking AT you not to you. Even when they were sitting at their desks all they wanted to do was watch who was on the workout floor or walking past the front sign in desk. Looking past your face and who was there at the club or coming in.

This place (LA Fitness) feels and operates nothing like the advertisements and brochures seem to show. They seem to only care about is selling "Personal Trainer Sessions". If you need any help with knowing how to use a machine all they say is "the instructions are on the machine". Yet if you are a new member all they want to do is sell, sell, sell, and push their personal trainer sessions. I thought those days were long gone from the "high pressure sales tactics" of the old gyms and all the different types of yearly gym memberships those places tried to push on their members. We will be joining another "Silver Sneakers" gym shortly.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

I would like to make seniors aware that LA Fitness has an unscrupulous, undocumented policy concerning prepaid memberships that are switched over to Silver Sneakers. My husband's membership was prepaid when he turned 65 and got a Medicare supplement with Silver Sneakers coverage. LA Fitness gladly switched his membership over to Silver Sneakers but then refused to reimburse us on the remaining unused prepaid membership. They indicated that they were going to hold our money in case we ever decide not to have Silver Sneakers anymore.

I told LA Fitness verbally and in writing, that we have no intention of ever having a Medicare supplement without Silver Sneakers and that I wanted reimbursement now. LA Fitness has ignored my verbal and written requests. Additionally, the manager at LA Fitness became hostile towards me (totally unprofessional and definitely not customer supportive). I am now working with the Attorney General's office to resolve the matter.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

Had over $400 worth of free diving gear stolen from a locked locker at your Akers Mill Rd location in Atlanta. Blank looks from "Management". I had heard from other members of the same happening to them, but I brushed it aside. My mistake.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

Stolen Necklace by an LA Fitness employee (Huntington NY). If you don’t mind getting personal property stolen by employees this is the place for you. My necklace was turned in by a Good Samaritan and was dropped off at the desk, was put in a secret location and by coincidence disappeared the next day. I wish I could give this place zero stars. There was no accountability and no cameras in this facility. It’s too bad. I enjoyed coming here but now it left a bad taste in my mouth. This location and it’s headquarters are run by a bunch of rats??.. It’s really is true in life. You get what you paid for and at this place you pay for and that’s crap service!!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

I was a member at LA Fitness in Burlington Ontario from ~ 2012-2017 but left as I was going out of the country. I put my membership on hold for 2 months before cancelling it after realizing that I was being charged half of my monthly fee. At the time I paid $99 for initiation fee and $29/month with no annual fee thereafter. In August 2019, I rejoined but was unable to get the $29/month deal. I spoke with an agent over the phone at my selected club and agreed to $125 and first and last with 2 months free and no annual fees thereafter.

In September 2019, the first month was charged to my credit card. I called and was told there was no mention of two free months and removal of the annual fee after the $125 was paid. Despite my request for a full refund and to have a new contract drafted directly with the club I wish to attend, they only agreed to refund me two months and the annual fee which is about half of what I paid so far. My request for a full refund was denied by management. I asked for my call to be escalated to management and this was also refused. I am planning on visiting the club and simply cancelling the whole thing as I am not satisfied with their offer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA Fitness?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

I sent my son into LA Fitness in Brick, NJ as a Family Member. Website clearly reads $25 initiation fee and $29/month. My son clearly said he wanted a Family Membership with me and the least expensive rate. He was sold by Mike, your General Manager an initiation fee of $250. So I called last week and spoke with Anthony to get the refund and nothing was done. Today, I spoke with Joe and nothing is being done. Every run around you can imagine is being tried. I need to bring him in to join, you need to speak with the operations manager some other time, on hold, etc. One good thing, they taught my son a lesson in Corporate Greed and fraudulent sales tactics.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Worst fitness center ever. You can not even cancel your membership if you do not have access to a printer. You must go to the center and personally cancel your membership. So please read your contract. They will automatically renew your contract and charge you forever. They are thieves and very unprofessional. Forget the gym and take a walk.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

The customer service and membership services with this company, are absolutely the worst I have ever dealt with. They make it almost impossible to cancel your membership-to the point that I believe they will just stop talking to you and you will have to pay. But of course, on the front end, they tell you that you can cancel at any time. Beware of this company, they have no moral compass and are difficult to deal with, at best.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

I joined LA Fitness to participate in Aqua Fit, a health requirement to control my diabetes. For the first 3 years, no problem. Great instructors. Recently, they have restricted the class to 10. More than that had been coming consistently for 3 years. Now if I don't get to the class 45 minutes early, I may not get in. The solution, hire a lifeguard is just not being considered. Very poor customer service. If you are a senior, stay away.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

Signed up three months ago for $200 initiation and $20 per month. Sales guy said that is all I would pay ever. Third month in they hit me for $50 equipment maintenance fee. They said I should have read the fine print and not relied on the words of the salesperson. What a scam! Never join LA Fitness.

LA fitness Company Information