3.5/5 (48 ratings)

About Visiting Angels

Visiting Angels specializes in comprehensive, customized in-home care that allows seniors to stay at home. With locations across the country, Visiting Angels provides a variety of services to support individuals living on their own.

What is Visiting Angels?

Visiting Angels is a care agency for seniors and others who need in-home assistance. The company is a network of franchises specializing in affordable and flexible home care across the U.S.

Visiting Angels offers a variety of specialized options, including Senior Life Care Navigation, a collection of customized programs focused on various types of care, including fall prevention and end-of-life, palliative and social care. It also offers the “Ready-Set-Go Home” program, which helps prevent readmission following hospital-to-home transitions.

If you’re looking for in-home care, Visiting Angels offers options for those with Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, diabetes, COPD and Parkinson’s disease along with daily living assistance and personal care. Temporary and long-term plans are available, with daytime, evening, overnight, 24/7, respite and live-in options.

Visiting Angels operates on weekdays, weekends and holidays and coordinates care with families who live far from their loved ones. The company also provides services in assisted-living facilities and transportation to and from appointments and activities.

What do Visiting Angels do?

A Visiting Angels caregiver provides companion care for those aging in place, including assistance with meal preparation, groceries, linens, laundry and light housekeeping. Your Visiting Angels’ caretaker can also help develop a care plan that covers sleeping, eating and medication reminders to help you stick to a healthy routine.

Visiting Angels has franchises nationwide, with multiple locations in cities across every state. To find a location near you, use the “Office Locator” function on the company’s website. The first step in deciding if Visiting Angels is right for your family is meeting with a care coordinator. This meeting includes a detailed discussion of care needs, schedule requests and suggestions from family members. The coordinator addresses any concerns and provides recommendations for care.

Your care coordinator then works with you to develop a schedule, finalize the care plan and arrange a meeting with a nurse. After that, the company matches your loved one with a caregiver who best meets their needs. The consultation is free.

Upon signing up for services, Visiting Angels covers details about schedules, home access and documentation. The company works with you to arrange a payment schedule that fits your budget. Each care plan is customized to fit individual and family needs.

Visiting Angels costs

Visiting Angels franchises operate individually and set prices based on location and other factors. The company states it works with customers to provide affordable solutions. Most locations accept long-term care insurance, but the service may not be covered by Medicare. Contact a local franchise for a no-cost consultation.

When your care coordinator develops a care plan, it will include pricing information. Financial assistance is available for veterans who need in-home care. Long-term care costs sometimes are tax deductible and/or are eligible for payment from a flexible health savings account.

Visiting Angels FAQ

Where is Visiting Angels located?
Visiting Angels is located in dozens of cities throughout all 50 states. To find the location nearest you, use the “Office Locator” function on the company’s website. The company serves residents of Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
Is Visiting Angels covered by Medicare?
In many cases, Visiting Angels’ services are not covered by Medicare. However, some home care services are eligible, including physical and occupational therapy, skilled nursing treatments, hospice and respite care.
Who owns Visiting Angels?
The Visiting Angels brand is owned by Living Services Inc. Each local franchise is independently owned and operated.
Is Visiting Angels tax deductible?
The IRS considers long-term care costs to be medical expenses, which are itemized deductions. Long-term care premiums paid to Visiting Angels could be tax deductible.

Is Visiting Angels worth it?

Visiting Angels provides comprehensive, customized in-home and elder care, specializing in affordable services that help individuals age in place comfortably. If you’re searching for a long-term care provider, we recommend checking out Visiting Angels to see if its service is right for you.

Visiting Angels Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Visiting Angels?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Visiting Angels?

Original review: April 21, 2021

I have been using this company for approximately seven months. Love the aide they have assigned to me. My issue is with the front office and how they fail to correct accounting errors in a timely manner. Began with an overcharge in March. I was billed for 5 hours of service when I only used 2.5 hours. The office was promptly notified when my credit card statement arrived in the middle of March. There has been several calls between the office and myself. Another credit card cycle has ended, still no chargeback for the overcharges. Requested for the owner or office manager to give me a call so this matter could be resolved. It’s been a week and neither have had the decency to return my call. The office that manages their billing informed me that they had yet to receive the correction but would contact the office to see what the hold up is. Needless to say, I am in search of a new company. I would not recommend this agency.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

While a few caregivers were reliable, accountable, and hardworking, most weren’t worth the $35/hour we were expected to pay for my mom’s care. Some showed up 45 minutes late, others had no training in the care my mother needed, many left an hour (or more) early without completing my mother’s cares. Seeing an aide sitting on the couch and texting instead of working; walking into the house sans mask, eating Wendy’s (during the COVID pandemic); refusing to give my mother a bed bath; or not ensuring my mother took her meds was all par for the course. When we’d call email management, we’d rarely get a response.

Get buying tips about Home Care Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I have used them for 2 years. Have had late, no shows and it's not just the caregiver. Their system does not work. Administration does not make notes. My father only needs a shower given. 29.50 I pay. He does not get shaved or hair cuts. No nail clipping. Just a shower and they don't start at the top. Hair first even if there isn't much. Warm his whole body but that was too much to ask. Inexperience is not what I pay for. The last girl here her boss had to train her in my bathroom. Really I think my Dad was humiliated. Dementia or not that was ridiculous. I quit services because of late and lack of communication and the office people never know what's going on. No notes on accounts. Can't address my Dad by name. Bill comes 1 day schedule another. Very unprofessional. Judy I must say was the most awesome underpaid person there. She is their best.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

Visiting Angels was my first experience with trying to get assistance for an elderly parent. Very unprofessional staff, not reliable. A big disappointment especially when requirements were very basic. Their recruitment of staff seems not to be anything more than just finding a warm body because it in no way lived up to the advertisement. And definitely don’t assume they will do the right thing because if you're not there - they don’t stick around to comply with the defined hours which defeats the purpose of trying to get help for an elderly parent. Then when you address the issue to management - there is no concern or effort to resolve the issue - just concern from them about paying for a service you never received.

Not sure how this franchise operates in other areas but if you're in PA - look elsewhere. So typical of this company they tell you per the below to call because they are so interested in trying to better their service but when you call - there are numerous Mikes and they don’t know which one it could be. Take care of your loved one and stay away from this mess. As in my case you go to companies like this for help not to cause yourself more work and aggravation. Stay away from this company and that will be the first step in helping yourself and your loved one.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

My brother has ALS and his mind is intact. These “caregivers” slept, sat around, talked on their phone, etc. When they did care for him they never washed their hands. One caregiver helped my brother with bathroom care then went into the kitchen with the gloves on his hands that he used to clean my brother and BBC started to make his lunch. Never did one ever do light housekeeping. This company should be shut down.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

Beware of home health company called Visiting Angels. Some of them have criminal records. They do not like to work. They like to take you out because they trying to see how much money you are spending and how much you are bring home then steal from you. They ramble through your things. You report it to the company and they don’t do anything about it. The aid picks the days she wants to come. And she will not call you. They won’t help with your bath because they're busy in your room rambling. You don’t know your money is gone until you buy something. They even take your gift cards.

I wanted to be with visiting angels because I thought it would be a better company to be with. One of the aids seemed so nice. She was nice and she would help me and she would take me to the store and everything. Then one day she decided she wasn’t going to do anything. She would stay on her phone a lot and watch tv. But she would keep asking me to go to the store all the time. I didn’t know that all them times she was asking to go to the store she was watching how much I would be spending. And one day she asked me for $400 and I said no. And I asked my son to go to the store for me one day and I told him it was a $20 bill in my pocketbook and I took it out and he said it was a $1. I said, "No it’s a $20 bill." He no it’s not. So the next day I told her about it. And she didn’t say anything.

From there my money started getting missing more and more. She took my gift card that I never spent and that’s how I knew for sure she was stealing from me. I told the company. They said they would pay me back and they never did. Please beware of “visiting devils”. They have police records from other people that they were stealing so this is true. It’s true. They do steal from you. My advice to you is to not pick Visiting angels.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

We hired Visiting Angels in East Texas to help care for my dad after he had a stroke. The first four caregivers they sent out would show up, sit and watch TV, and then leave. One of them even had the gall to go sleep in the guest room during her shift. They did not help clean the house, they did not prepare meals, they did not help him shower and dress, and they did not help him with chores as requested such as feeding his dogs or letting me know when he needed more groceries. I sent money to one of the caregivers for groceries that she pocketed and never went to the store.

The caregivers would change their schedules without notifying us, and all four caregivers were eventually let go for no call/no shows, which is unacceptable considering my dad cannot care for himself. We are on our fifth caregiver, and she shows up on time and cleans, but she doesn't prepare meals. I am so disappointed with this service, but my dad lives in a rural area and has no other options for at-home care.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

My mom 84 yrs old has foley. We called Visiting Angels as nursing service to help us care for her. We asked if foley needed to be changed. She looked at it and said no. Two days later mom was in ER with urinary tract infection and e coli. ER nurse looked at tube and showed us how dirty it was. She couldn't believe a professional told us it didn't need to be changed. Five days now still in hospital! And their answering service is nasty.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Martina w/ Visiting Angels came to stay with my grandparents overnight after my grandfather was released from the hospital having had a stent replacement and a defibrillator put in. My grandmother has early onset dementia. During the night Martina hit my grandfather's leg with his walker causing him to bleed on the floor. She then instructed my 90 year old grandmother who also has balance problems to clean it up. When we became nervous and wanted to call my mother she wouldn't let them use the phone. I am horrified and disgusted. Now we can't get them to let anyone to come in to help and the burden is placed back solely on my mother.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Our experience with Visiting Angels only lasted about a month. My grandparents’ health suddenly and began deteriorating at a rapid pace but they wanted to stay in their home as long as possible. Visiting Angels seemed like the perfect option to provide the extra help we needed so they could remain in their home. At first, things seemed to be working well. They were accommodating with the hours we needed and showed up when scheduled. My grandparents, who aren’t always the easiest people for strangers to deal with, both actually liked the worker (Jamie) and she communicated well with us as well.

A warning bell went off for me when Jamie told us she had found a total of $300 hidden in random places throughout the house. She said she wanted to tell us, knowing that various different people were in and out of the house, just in case any money went missing in the future. She said she found the different hiding spots while cleaning. I found that strange because prior to bringing Visiting Angels in, I was responsible for thoroughly cleaning their home each week. And I’m very thorough yet had only ever come across $20-40 laying around.

A few days later, when we were working with them on changing the schedule of when they would be coming, we were informed that Jamie’s was no longer going to be working there; she had something come up. We didn’t press for any other details, assuming it wasn’t our business, but later that week when we discovered $30,000 was gone, it seemed the likely culprit was in fact Jamie. Why my grandpa had that kind of cash stashed in a drawer in his bedroom, and why it hadn’t been moved to a safe, I don’t know.

We called Visiting Angels to tell them about the situation and they didn’t seem overly concerned about doing anything to rectify it. We also filed a police report and I have little faith that we’ll ever see a dime of that money back. It’s very disappointing to experience first-hand how someone could steal from people who are literally dying. And then to see that no one else seems to care.

We were still going to be using their services because we needed the care. But then a worker didn’t show up. After we called and left a message to figure out what was going on, we finally received a callback stating they would no longer work with us due to the money that had been stolen from us. I do have a very bitter taste in my mouth when it comes to Visiting Angels. The stolen money makes me sick to my stomach but that’s an issue the police are handling. We should never have had that in the house. But to then be denied care, services we were paying for, and be left in the lurch, when we were the victims, is mind boggling. To not be given any notice so we could find another company and make other arrangements, and to not be shown any compassion is sad. So my advice: lock up all valuables and invest in several hidden cameras so you can monitor what goes on when you’re not there.

Visiting Angels Company Information