Based on 11 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Visiting Angels

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experienceDissatisfied with the experienceSatisfied with the experienceHappy with the experienceWould recommend to a friend
Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: Feb. 28, 2018

11 Visiting Angels Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I was looking for help in caring for my 86 year old mom. I called Visiting Angels and scheduled my Assessment appointment. I was told that I would be receiving an email confirming my appointment and that they would include in that email, a picture of the lady coming to our home. That email never arrived. On the day of our scheduled appointment, I took the afternoon off work so that I could be there. Our appointment time was at 1:00. At 1:15 I received a phone call from Visiting Angels letting me know that they were running late and it would be another hour before they would be here. At that time, I told her to forget it, that I didn't want to do business with a company that doesn't keep their word and can't show up on time. I can't trust them to properly care for my elderly mother.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Hired Visiting Angels, the franchise based in Riverside, CA last week. The owner said they were flexible, "If you need us we will be there, we will send your Home Care provider on Monday to meet her and the Case Manager will call and confirm." Monday came and went, no call to confirm, no provider showed to introduce herself and the absentee owner never called either. This is another case of I want your money. They have a fancy brochure and website but do not care about your loved one. They only care about your $ 25.00 per hour and a $ 500.00 deposit. If you Love your relative, hire someone else, this company is completely unscrupulous and LIES.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Every person they sent to me are lazy, drug addicts, a few thieves. Stealing my pain medication, other items with others. I had one I caught kicking my senior cat and battering another for getting on the counter. Every one has not completed high school or any other training. They want to be paid for sitting and putting in their time when they show up. I had a accident that left me paralyzed but have been able to start walking a bit with a walker. I am not old and still have my mental awareness, I would never leave these people who can’t stand up for themselves. I feel for those people and their family because I am very sure those are the ones who being neglected and abused.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Visiting Angels Sunnyvale services are available 365 days a year for round-the-clock care. They offer a unique care approach to give my loved ones the best care available. The caregiver was great and the office staff are wonderful and very caring. Would highly recommend them to anyone looking for care for your loved one.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Most employees had no experience and did not have the professionalism to be in someone’s home. They were inattentive to my mother's needs unless I was standing over them supervising. The office had so many personnel issues that it was not uncommon for it to take hours for them to get someone out to my house even though we were scheduled far in advance. Moreover they threaten to remove qualified personnel if you would not pay more to retain them. Most stressful experience I have encountered.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Visiting Angels?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

My 70-year-old Mother became the full-time caregiver for my father with Stage 4 Cancer 7 months ago. Due to distance, she's on her own the majority of the time. She has reached a point where she is desperate for relief, needing help in order to get out of the house to do anything. After much pleading, she finally reached out for help and made an appointment with Visiting Angels of Southern Maryland. The day of the appointment came & went, no one showed up. She called and was told that Barbara was on a home visit - well, she was supposed to be visiting my mother's home. She left a message for Barbara, 24 hours later, still no call back from Barbara and every time my mother called, she got an electronic answering service. Moments after this occurred, my Mother called me & asked me to try to call. Don't you know, someone answered the phone!

When Barbara finally called me back, under threat of negative reviews, she was unapologetic for the missed appointment. As someone in her line of work and who was familiar with my family’s situation, the ONLY thing Barbara should have said was "I'm so sorry for the confusion, let's talk about how we can make this right". Instead, it was excuse after excuse after excuse. We're having problems with the phone system, I didn't have an appointment for your mother, there are 2 sides to every story. Absolutely horrendous, would not entrust anyone from this company to care for my father, or a gerbil for that matter.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I went to apply with Visiting Angels over the weekend, stating I can only have 15 hours a week job, no less because I have to survive. The owner Marian email me. I put black and white on the application form that on the weekend that I am NOT available. During the interview, she "seemed" professional. She never once ask me if I have questions or not. Marian just goes on and on about where her and her husband go. I was ask to go into the office to fill out some paperwork. Her HR Lynne made a comment "you are register with 7 different co, that is unheard!" I said in return, I applied with them, doesn't mean that I am working for all of them.

When I came back to my room, Lynn called for a client only Tuesday and Thursday from 1-5, only 8 hours a week. I told her I can't accept the assignment because it is only 8 hours. That is not enough! I was resting taking a nap with the phone ringer off to take a break. She text me and call me, I return the call and she said "I give you a client that is 8 hours and you said no." I told her 8 hours a week is not enough to even cover the rent. Plus I put on the application that I need 15 hours, and I had ask if Marian is ok to work with me because I have food stamp and I cannot work on weekend.

Marian then start to mock me saying "you even register with 7 different co" and start to have a fit. Said "I even call the client tell them you will go???" (Now that is unprofessional, you do not call the client til you confirm the caregiver can take the assignment), and she said, "Oh no... I can't work with you. I am pulling you out from the system" or something. Very unprofessional, very dramatic. I never expect Marian to act like that kind of attitude. She make me speechless, can't believe the devil I am dealing with!!? And she hung up the phone! Do not, I repeat do not apply for Visiting Angels. I don't know what is wrong with the owner's wife Marian. Totally insane and unprofessional.

Original review: June 26, 2017

Visiting Angels is awful! The company sent uneducated and inexperienced girls to my mother's house, never a consistent person. My mom commented that one of the angels "talked rough" to her. One young girl went to my mother's home to provide help with food prep and companionship to my mother, 88, three days per week for 3 hours each day. For $75.00, they sent a girl who no high school diploma and a suspended driver's license. Soon she began to bring her 2 and 4 year old children to my mother's house! They ate her snacks and watched loud cartoons on her big TV (mom is mostly blind and partially deaf). The last day I arrived to find my mother's home trashed and my mother bewildered. VA charged $25.00 per hour for this abuse. It's horrible and dangerous to do business with Visiting Angels! I am considering legal action for elder abuse and breach of contract.

Original review: April 29, 2017

I had three in depth phone conversations with an administrator (LeaAnn) at Visiting Angels, explaining exactly what we needed in terms of care for my father. Since the company has a two hour minimum, and sometimes it takes less than an hour to get my dad ready for the day, we discussed that the caretaker would do light housekeeping with the remainder of the time. It's a small condo so it would be mainly vacuuming the floors and the couches. I mentioned that I would not be there for the first visit and that I could be on the phone if she had trouble communicating with my mom who has limited English but makes herself understood.

As soon as she arrived LeaAnn called me about why the paperwork wasn't filled out, and saying that someone needed to sign, and complaining about the limited English. I told her my mom could sign if all goes well. She hung up all frustrated. An hour later I called to see if they still needed my help and my mom told me they had left right away. After my mom explained that she expected light housekeeping with the extra hour, LeaAnn said that they didn't do that type of work (even though it is clearly listed on their website and we discussed it over the phone). Also, my mom told me that LeaAnn had a disdainful and condescending attitude towards my parents, while the caretaker she brought in was smiling and agreeable. It hurt me to have put my mom and dad through this.

Original review: April 21, 2016

We have separate Visiting Devils staff on film abusing my father by rehashing the death of his wife to the point that my father states that he would like to kill us (son/daughter-in-law) to which the Caregiver agrees, then declares on film to my father that she "should not be ** with because she works for the FBI" and went on to describe in great detail how she acquired genital herpes from her lover. The Visiting Angels staff replaced her with a drunk who was likewise caught on film, this time guzzling expensive red wine, morning, noon and night. The incompetent bookkeeper sent us bills belonging to other clients... who knows if we were charged accurately. Now out of the blue 1.5 years later the company sent us to collections without forewarning. The abuse levied by Visiting Angels required my Father to leave his home environment and caused my wife and I great anguish which 1.5 years later, continues.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2015

With a revolving door for bookkeepers, my account with Visiting Angels has never been correct. I was over charged for service I did not receive. Duplicate invoices that resulted in duplicate payments. We have been working since the beginning 7/29/2014 to get it straightened out. They even came to my house and we review ALL of my credit documentation, returned to the office, and then notified me that the credits had been applied. However, most credits were wrong and applied to payments that had no problems, instead to the correct invoice and payment.

We were working to figure all of this out. Until last couple of weeks in which they notified me that "it was what it was". Even though we have two different styles of accounting they have fixed everything and I have a balance due of $1003.73. My credits are $1066.62 and should be deducted from this last invoice. They are refusing to work with me now and in my guess have decided to just send it to collections. What I want is them to return to the table so we can work this out truly fair to them as well as to me.

Visiting Angels expert review by Shelley Webb

Since it opened its doors in 1998, Visiting Angels has been a leading provider of home health services in the U.S. and Canada.

• Specialized Alzheimer's care: Recognizing those who suffer from Alzheimer's have needs going beyond ADLs, Visiting Angels has care tailored to meet the needs of these seniors.

• Bonded, licensed and insured: When welcoming someone into your home, there is always an issue of trust. By providing outside verification, Visiting Angels helps you find peace of mind.

• Individualized monitoring: Seniors need care on a regular basis, but what about when no one is home? Visiting Angels offers frequent phone calls and checks to ensure everything is on track.

• Easy search functions: Search for care using your zip code or city and state. The site quickly provides a list of potential local offices, so you can start arranging for interviews immediately.

• Elderly companion care: While most home health care service providers offer companion care, not all of them include the wealth of services available through Visiting Angels. Their companion care includes all areas of ADL and a comprehensive approach to home care that includes the senior's health care providers.

• Best for: Primary caregivers, elderly individuals, persons with dementia, persons with a disability, terminal patients and accident victims.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb

Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Visiting Angels Company Information

28 W Eagle Road, Suite 204
1 (800) 365-4189

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Let's talk

ConsumerAffairs ranks 562 on Inc. 5000 for 2017

Advertisements on this site are placed and controlled by outside advertising networks. does not evaluate or endorse the products and services advertised. See the FAQ for more information.

The information on our website is general in nature and is not intended as a substitute for competent legal advice. makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information herein provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from the use thereof.