3.6/5 (72 ratings)

About Visiting Angels

Visiting Angels specializes in comprehensive, customized in-home care that allows seniors to stay at home. With locations across the country, Visiting Angels provides a variety of services to support individuals living on their own.

What is Visiting Angels?

Visiting Angels is a care agency for seniors and others who need in-home assistance. The company is a network of franchises specializing in affordable and flexible home care across the U.S.

Visiting Angels offers a variety of specialized options, including Senior Life Care Navigation, a collection of customized programs focused on various types of care, including fall prevention and end-of-life, palliative and social care. It also offers the “Ready-Set-Go Home” program, which helps prevent readmission following hospital-to-home transitions.

If you’re looking for in-home care, Visiting Angels offers options for those with Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, diabetes, COPD and Parkinson’s disease along with daily living assistance and personal care. Temporary and long-term plans are available, with daytime, evening, overnight, 24/7, respite and live-in options.

Visiting Angels operates on weekdays, weekends and holidays and coordinates care with families who live far from their loved ones. The company also provides services in assisted-living facilities and transportation to and from appointments and activities.

What do Visiting Angels do?

A Visiting Angels caregiver provides companion care for those aging in place, including assistance with meal preparation, groceries, linens, laundry and light housekeeping. Your Visiting Angels’ caretaker can also help develop a care plan that covers sleeping, eating and medication reminders to help you stick to a healthy routine.

Visiting Angels has franchises nationwide, with multiple locations in cities across every state. To find a location near you, use the “Office Locator” function on the company’s website. The first step in deciding if Visiting Angels is right for your family is meeting with a care coordinator. This meeting includes a detailed discussion of care needs, schedule requests and suggestions from family members. The coordinator addresses any concerns and provides recommendations for care.

Your care coordinator then works with you to develop a schedule, finalize the care plan and arrange a meeting with a nurse. After that, the company matches your loved one with a caregiver who best meets their needs. The consultation is free.

Upon signing up for services, Visiting Angels covers details about schedules, home access and documentation. The company works with you to arrange a payment schedule that fits your budget. Each care plan is customized to fit individual and family needs.

Visiting Angels costs

Visiting Angels franchises operate individually and set prices based on location and other factors. The company states it works with customers to provide affordable solutions. Most locations accept long-term care insurance, but the service may not be covered by Medicare. Contact a local franchise for a no-cost consultation.

When your care coordinator develops a care plan, it will include pricing information. Financial assistance is available for veterans who need in-home care. Long-term care costs sometimes are tax deductible and/or are eligible for payment from a flexible health savings account.

Visiting Angels FAQ

Where is Visiting Angels located?
Visiting Angels is located in dozens of cities throughout all 50 states. To find the location nearest you, use the “Office Locator” function on the company’s website. The company serves residents of Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
Is Visiting Angels covered by Medicare?
In many cases, Visiting Angels’ services are not covered by Medicare. However, some home care services are eligible, including physical and occupational therapy, skilled nursing treatments, hospice and respite care.
Who owns Visiting Angels?
The Visiting Angels brand is owned by Living Services Inc. Each local franchise is independently owned and operated.
Is Visiting Angels tax deductible?
The IRS considers long-term care costs to be medical expenses, which are itemized deductions. Long-term care premiums paid to Visiting Angels could be tax deductible.

Is Visiting Angels worth it?

Visiting Angels provides comprehensive, customized in-home and elder care, specializing in affordable services that help individuals age in place comfortably. If you’re searching for a long-term care provider, we recommend checking out Visiting Angels to see if its service is right for you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Visiting Angels?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Visiting Angels?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

Unfortunately they do not do drug screens on their employees. I caught one of their caregivers smoking ** in my elderly father's garage. This person also burned down the patio by using a faulty cord on her charge phone. Their insurance company refused to pay so had to go through my dad's insurance company which raised his rates. Although one good thing is Visiting Angels paid the deductible (only after I spoke to regional director). Because of this nightmare I cannot recommend this company.

Original review: July 31, 2022

This agency came on promising everything. At a time when my late stage Alzheimer husband's needs were burning me out, and my health was declining. Their salesperson knew I had problems with a previous agency stealing. Assuring they would take care to give quality services. We had 3, one on one meetings, each time promising not to exceed that $250 a day, any overage I would have to pay on our fixed income. Promising Alzheimer Special care for memory. Knowing my budget, agreed to NEVER GO OVER THE DAILY ALLOWANCE provided by hubby's LTC benefits. Lots of words with no a action. I was very ill so this salesman filled out their contract and said "just sign where I highlighted. We have gone over everything". We agreed, 3x with owner here once, no overage, husband will have a regular Angel, work with Pop on memory, reading and numbers, blah blah. At the end of the week present me with bill and get paid on spot.

I was bedridden, hospitalized, very ill. I never got a bill, my Son handles money, came to me with concerns and I found they had taken monies from my savings to include hours paid not worked, OVER AND DOUBLE TIME! After we made an agreement x3, never over $250 LTC. Owner angrily stated "you're lucky we found you anyone." They seemed to have forgotten our agreement totally.

The first four "Angels" ranged from a purple/orange Mohawk, face piercing, 25 minutes late, with lots of cell phone use while sitting on couch. Unable to transfer, bath, etc. 3 complained about their $11 per hour pay. These Angels were not qualified for physical needs and my Son bathed, bathroom needs, dressing, you know, all the hard stuff. This seems to be a very unqualified top to bottom.. They were going to work with my husband's memory, bring books, talk to him, encourage him, no, no, no, no....Complain, late, eating all day, on phone, one even left for about 3 hours to go to Lowe's for spray paint and worked on her car! THERE WERE NO MASKS, NO SANITIZER OR GLOVES WORN, charged monthly for nothing. There was chew candy (rx **) brought in and given to my Son. Guess I was just lucky to get this group, guess I won't be using the "Angels" again. Thank you for your time.

Get buying tips about Home Care Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2022

Beginning of 2022, The family loved the last Visiting Angel who became close friends with Mom. Everyday she found something or did something to enrich Mom's restricted life. One new 1 day a week temporary employee was a bit overwhelmed with my brother explaining how to care for Mom and gave the excuse she forgot her phone charger and left. Just left! Abandoned her post/duty. No explanation from the office. I had to call and report it. Apology was extended, but still no excuse. She was replaced, the next week. Still miffed. Then in May, received a call about a family members "criminal record" that suddenly ended the relationship with VA. No discussion! That person served his time!

NOW 1+ MONTHS have gone by and I receive a phone call that services rendered for the 3 months prior to and up to ending the contract were "rejected." Ok, but why? I was told the CHA withdraw did not go through. My bank never notified me of insufficient funds, which lack of funds was not the issue. Why am I just hearing about it now? They are "reconciliating their books" which are all done online, now. Ok, but if the payments did not go through why am I am just now hearing about it, and not when the payment was rejected?

The person demanded I give her the account number, so she could withdraw close to $3000. BUT then 10 minutes later she calls again and says, "there are more rejection notices and the total is close to $10,000". I called the bank. I received emails confirming the payment had been made. She demanded I send her copies of the Bank Statements. No! I do not have to provide the account number nor copies of the bank statements.

I am trying to get to the bottom of the issue, and will make more calls to the bank, and look at statements, I would call back. The VA rep threatened to draw a lawsuit to get the funds. Come to find out, someone bought out the local franchise, and during the transition this individual inherited a paper system and is responsible for putting everything online. She has messed up and put an incorrect number for the Auto-withdraw!!! Her mistake, not mine. I will now need to determine exactly how much is owed, and pay in increments, probably by money order. What a MESS and a major inconvenience for me. Wondering if I need to hire a lawyer. Would never recommend VA. The ANGELS, they are awesome, bookkeeping and accounting not so much.

Original review: May 11, 2022

A professional client services evaluation took place in our living room with a "promise" of having the Ideal Staff Fit for our Veteran's complex medical condition. Unfortunately, the Ideal Staff "broke her ankle" the next day, and uninformed subs were sent to our home. Our veteran feels misled, and that sharing his private medical information was not for a provider match, but for business purpose. Be wary of Visiting Angels...hourly pay and gas allowances are substantial factors in potluck providers...

Original review: March 19, 2022

No show after no show. I had caregiver after another, they change them often and with the desire to stay free of covid the constant change is a problem. They fail to wear masks and I have to provide them. This not a good company, I don't see how they stay in business!

Original review: March 10, 2022

The caregiver provided by the above Visiting Angels franchise did a filthy, unclean action at my home on this date, March 10 2022. The caregiver has been working for me for about 2 weeks. She was still on probations and provided service Tues-Friday 10- 2 pm. After placing my wife, who is suffering from Alzheimer, into bed, she left for the day...When I went into my wife's bedroom, there was feces on the floor, in the hallway and living room. I could not believe my eyes.. I called the company and asked them to have the caregiver return and clean up the mess. I was less than pleased.

The caregiver returned, I confronted her with the feces and asked her to clean it up. She said that she did not notice the feces although there was a trail leading from my wife's bedroom, through the hallway and into the living room. Naturally, I was angry. She refused to clean it up so I fired her and told her not to return. I was also not going to pay for that day's service.

Now the kicker. I called the manager, Ms Nicole **, who informed me that she was cancelling our contract because she did not like the way I talked to the caregiver...Really? Was I supposed to be calm and collected when my home was littered with feces? That was an unprofessional response on her part completely ignoring what her caregiver did! A complaint will be made to Corporate Headquarters. I am writing here in an effort to inform the public of this dastardly event.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

The aide assigned seemed irritated to do anything more than play on her tablet and talk in her phone. We bought her mountains of special food she “required”. No thanks. When she left she did not even bother to say goodbye and cleaned out the refrigerator. Not worth the $300 a day. My MIL was afraid to “anger the aide”.. Will NOT use again.

Resolution response: Aug. 23, 2021

***Update: Visiting Angels has addressed the incident above - it does not erase what happened but I pray the corrective measures they have initiated with Starla ** will make a difference and that she will make better choices with other people's loved ones.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

My loved one was neglected and verbally abused by Starla ** who works for Visiting Angels at the Columbus, GA location. I have her on a recording yelling at my mother for an incontinence issue and she clearly did not assist my mother with bathing or toileting the entire day. When I came home she had the same clothes on and was soaked from her top to her ankles in urine. Not once did Starla alert myself or her agency that she was having any problems doing her job that day. Starla ** should not have the opportunity to abuse anyone else's loved one. My mother was supposed to receive care but instead received neglect and mistreatment. This happened one week ago and I still have not received a response from Visiting Angels concerning Starla yelling at my mother. This is extremely unacceptable and I could not be more upset.

Original review: April 21, 2021

I have been using this company for approximately seven months. Love the aide they have assigned to me. My issue is with the front office and how they fail to correct accounting errors in a timely manner. Began with an overcharge in March. I was billed for 5 hours of service when I only used 2.5 hours. The office was promptly notified when my credit card statement arrived in the middle of March. There has been several calls between the office and myself. Another credit card cycle has ended, still no chargeback for the overcharges. Requested for the owner or office manager to give me a call so this matter could be resolved. It’s been a week and neither have had the decency to return my call. The office that manages their billing informed me that they had yet to receive the correction but would contact the office to see what the hold up is. Needless to say, I am in search of a new company. I would not recommend this agency.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

While a few caregivers were reliable, accountable, and hardworking, most weren’t worth the $35/hour we were expected to pay for my mom’s care. Some showed up 45 minutes late, others had no training in the care my mother needed, many left an hour (or more) early without completing my mother’s cares. Seeing an aide sitting on the couch and texting instead of working; walking into the house sans mask, eating Wendy’s (during the COVID pandemic); refusing to give my mother a bed bath; or not ensuring my mother took her meds was all par for the course. When we’d call email management, we’d rarely get a response.

Visiting Angels Company Information