3.7/5 (90 ratings)

About Visiting Angels

Visiting Angels specializes in comprehensive, customized in-home care that allows seniors to stay at home. With locations across the country, Visiting Angels provides a variety of services to support individuals living on their own.

What is Visiting Angels?

Visiting Angels is a care agency for seniors and others who need in-home assistance. The company is a network of franchises specializing in affordable and flexible home care across the U.S.

Visiting Angels offers a variety of specialized options, including Senior Life Care Navigation, a collection of customized programs focused on various types of care, including fall prevention and end-of-life, palliative and social care. It also offers the “Ready-Set-Go Home” program, which helps prevent readmission following hospital-to-home transitions.

If you’re looking for in-home care, Visiting Angels offers options for those with Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, diabetes, COPD and Parkinson’s disease along with daily living assistance and personal care. Temporary and long-term plans are available, with daytime, evening, overnight, 24/7, respite and live-in options.

Visiting Angels operates on weekdays, weekends and holidays and coordinates care with families who live far from their loved ones. The company also provides services in assisted-living facilities and transportation to and from appointments and activities.

What do Visiting Angels do?

A Visiting Angels caregiver provides companion care for those aging in place, including assistance with meal preparation, groceries, linens, laundry and light housekeeping. Your Visiting Angels’ caretaker can also help develop a care plan that covers sleeping, eating and medication reminders to help you stick to a healthy routine.

Visiting Angels has franchises nationwide, with multiple locations in cities across every state. To find a location near you, use the “Office Locator” function on the company’s website. The first step in deciding if Visiting Angels is right for your family is meeting with a care coordinator. This meeting includes a detailed discussion of care needs, schedule requests and suggestions from family members. The coordinator addresses any concerns and provides recommendations for care.

Your care coordinator then works with you to develop a schedule, finalize the care plan and arrange a meeting with a nurse. After that, the company matches your loved one with a caregiver who best meets their needs. The consultation is free.

Upon signing up for services, Visiting Angels covers details about schedules, home access and documentation. The company works with you to arrange a payment schedule that fits your budget. Each care plan is customized to fit individual and family needs.

Visiting Angels costs

Visiting Angels franchises operate individually and set prices based on location and other factors. The company states it works with customers to provide affordable solutions. Most locations accept long-term care insurance, but the service may not be covered by Medicare. Contact a local franchise for a no-cost consultation.

When your care coordinator develops a care plan, it will include pricing information. Financial assistance is available for veterans who need in-home care. Long-term care costs sometimes are tax deductible and/or are eligible for payment from a flexible health savings account.

Visiting Angels FAQ

Where is Visiting Angels located?
Visiting Angels is located in dozens of cities throughout all 50 states. To find the location nearest you, use the “Office Locator” function on the company’s website. The company serves residents of Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
Is Visiting Angels covered by Medicare?
In many cases, Visiting Angels’ services are not covered by Medicare. However, some home care services are eligible, including physical and occupational therapy, skilled nursing treatments, hospice and respite care.
Who owns Visiting Angels?
The Visiting Angels brand is owned by Living Services Inc. Each local franchise is independently owned and operated.
Is Visiting Angels tax deductible?
The IRS considers long-term care costs to be medical expenses, which are itemized deductions. Long-term care premiums paid to Visiting Angels could be tax deductible.

Is Visiting Angels worth it?

Visiting Angels provides comprehensive, customized in-home and elder care, specializing in affordable services that help individuals age in place comfortably. If you’re searching for a long-term care provider, we recommend checking out Visiting Angels to see if its service is right for you.

Visiting Angels Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Visiting Angels?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Visiting Angels?

Original review: May 11, 2022

A professional client services evaluation took place in our living room with a "promise" of having the Ideal Staff Fit for our Veteran's complex medical condition. Unfortunately, the Ideal Staff "broke her ankle" the next day, and uninformed subs were sent to our home. Our veteran feels misled, and that sharing his private medical information was not for a provider match, but for business purpose. Be wary of Visiting Angels...hourly pay and gas allowances are substantial factors in potluck providers...

Original review: March 19, 2022

No show after no show. I had caregiver after another, they change them often and with the desire to stay free of covid the constant change is a problem. They fail to wear masks and I have to provide them. This not a good company, I don't see how they stay in business!

Get buying tips about Home Care Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 10, 2022

The caregiver provided by the above Visiting Angels franchise did a filthy, unclean action at my home on this date, March 10 2022. The caregiver has been working for me for about 2 weeks. She was still on probations and provided service Tues-Friday 10- 2 pm. After placing my wife, who is suffering from Alzheimer, into bed, she left for the day...When I went into my wife's bedroom, there was feces on the floor, in the hallway and living room. I could not believe my eyes.. I called the company and asked them to have the caregiver return and clean up the mess. I was less than pleased.

The caregiver returned, I confronted her with the feces and asked her to clean it up. She said that she did not notice the feces although there was a trail leading from my wife's bedroom, through the hallway and into the living room. Naturally, I was angry. She refused to clean it up so I fired her and told her not to return. I was also not going to pay for that day's service.

Now the kicker. I called the manager, Ms Nicole **, who informed me that she was cancelling our contract because she did not like the way I talked to the caregiver...Really? Was I supposed to be calm and collected when my home was littered with feces? That was an unprofessional response on her part completely ignoring what her caregiver did! A complaint will be made to Corporate Headquarters. I am writing here in an effort to inform the public of this dastardly event.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

The aide assigned seemed irritated to do anything more than play on her tablet and talk in her phone. We bought her mountains of special food she “required”. No thanks. When she left she did not even bother to say goodbye and cleaned out the refrigerator. Not worth the $300 a day. My MIL was afraid to “anger the aide”.. Will NOT use again.

Resolution response: Aug. 23, 2021

***Update: Visiting Angels has addressed the incident above - it does not erase what happened but I pray the corrective measures they have initiated with Starla ** will make a difference and that she will make better choices with other people's loved ones.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

My loved one was neglected and verbally abused by Starla ** who works for Visiting Angels at the Columbus, GA location. I have her on a recording yelling at my mother for an incontinence issue and she clearly did not assist my mother with bathing or toileting the entire day. When I came home she had the same clothes on and was soaked from her top to her ankles in urine. Not once did Starla alert myself or her agency that she was having any problems doing her job that day. Starla ** should not have the opportunity to abuse anyone else's loved one. My mother was supposed to receive care but instead received neglect and mistreatment. This happened one week ago and I still have not received a response from Visiting Angels concerning Starla yelling at my mother. This is extremely unacceptable and I could not be more upset.

Original review: April 21, 2021

I have been using this company for approximately seven months. Love the aide they have assigned to me. My issue is with the front office and how they fail to correct accounting errors in a timely manner. Began with an overcharge in March. I was billed for 5 hours of service when I only used 2.5 hours. The office was promptly notified when my credit card statement arrived in the middle of March. There has been several calls between the office and myself. Another credit card cycle has ended, still no chargeback for the overcharges. Requested for the owner or office manager to give me a call so this matter could be resolved. It’s been a week and neither have had the decency to return my call. The office that manages their billing informed me that they had yet to receive the correction but would contact the office to see what the hold up is. Needless to say, I am in search of a new company. I would not recommend this agency.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

While a few caregivers were reliable, accountable, and hardworking, most weren’t worth the $35/hour we were expected to pay for my mom’s care. Some showed up 45 minutes late, others had no training in the care my mother needed, many left an hour (or more) early without completing my mother’s cares. Seeing an aide sitting on the couch and texting instead of working; walking into the house sans mask, eating Wendy’s (during the COVID pandemic); refusing to give my mother a bed bath; or not ensuring my mother took her meds was all par for the course. When we’d call email management, we’d rarely get a response.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I have used them for 2 years. Have had late, no shows and it's not just the caregiver. Their system does not work. Administration does not make notes. My father only needs a shower given. 29.50 I pay. He does not get shaved or hair cuts. No nail clipping. Just a shower and they don't start at the top. Hair first even if there isn't much. Warm his whole body but that was too much to ask. Inexperience is not what I pay for. The last girl here her boss had to train her in my bathroom. Really I think my Dad was humiliated. Dementia or not that was ridiculous. I quit services because of late and lack of communication and the office people never know what's going on. No notes on accounts. Can't address my Dad by name. Bill comes 1 day schedule another. Very unprofessional. Judy I must say was the most awesome underpaid person there. She is their best.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

Visiting Angels was my first experience with trying to get assistance for an elderly parent. Very unprofessional staff, not reliable. A big disappointment especially when requirements were very basic. Their recruitment of staff seems not to be anything more than just finding a warm body because it in no way lived up to the advertisement. And definitely don’t assume they will do the right thing because if you're not there - they don’t stick around to comply with the defined hours which defeats the purpose of trying to get help for an elderly parent. Then when you address the issue to management - there is no concern or effort to resolve the issue - just concern from them about paying for a service you never received.

Not sure how this franchise operates in other areas but if you're in PA - look elsewhere. So typical of this company they tell you per the below to call because they are so interested in trying to better their service but when you call - there are numerous Mikes and they don’t know which one it could be. Take care of your loved one and stay away from this mess. As in my case you go to companies like this for help not to cause yourself more work and aggravation. Stay away from this company and that will be the first step in helping yourself and your loved one.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

My brother has ALS and his mind is intact. These “caregivers” slept, sat around, talked on their phone, etc. When they did care for him they never washed their hands. One caregiver helped my brother with bathroom care then went into the kitchen with the gloves on his hands that he used to clean my brother and BBC started to make his lunch. Never did one ever do light housekeeping. This company should be shut down.

Visiting Angels Company Information